2. Automotive
Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual - Auto

4.0/5 (1439 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual offers several insurance types, including auto, rental and home, throughout the U.S. The company provides competitively priced home insurance, as well as add-on natural disaster coverage and discount options for new homes and policy bundling. Its user-friendly online platform makes it easy to request a quote and start a new policy.

Pros

• Discounts available
  • Many customization options
  • Affordable

Cons

• Customer service difficulties
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Liberty Mutual's auto insurance is ideal for those looking to buy affordable and customizable coverage online. The company offers an array of discounts and custom coverage options.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Liberty Mutual - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

The price is amazing and so much cheaper than the national leader with the same services. The customer service has been absolutely outstanding and the service is seamlessly integrated with Liberty Mutual's repair shops and adjusters.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Their policies are decent and the prices are too. In my area they’re cheaper than a lot of other insurance companies. They really do let you choose different types for your various needs such as boats and other vehicles. They were also wonderful during the pandemic of 2020.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Great rate for their homeowners. Cars another story. I am paying $400.00 less a month than I was paying them. That's a HUGE drop. I was paying them over $700.00 every month. Every company I got a quote from was literally $100s of dollars less than I was paying.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

We have used Liberty Mutual for the past 4 years and they have been nothing less than excellent. Their customer service representatives are knowledgeable, always with a wonderful demeanor, responsive to the issues I have called about, and most of all the listen. Without exception, when I hang up, I know that the situation has been resolved. I never have had to make a followup call.

Original review: April 26, 2021

I called to cancel my insurance on the 16th. Was told they already took my payment on the 15th. Which was a lie they didn't take it till the 19th. I was also told on the 16th it would take 3 to 5 days to get my money back. Now it's the 26 and I am being told it will be back into my account on the 29th or May 3rd to get my money back. Which I really need to buy medicine that I have to take. They don't care. I had a lady in the resolution department hang up on me today after my 4th call. Also they took out 324.29 on the 19th after I told them to cancel it but will only refund 206.18. I am being told it costed me 118.11 for 10 days of insurance. Unless you want to be screwed over don't get insurance thru Liberty Mutual ever.

Original review: April 10, 2021

It’s really breaks my heart to write this review. I told everyone I know about Liberty Mutual. In the beginning, I was happy with the company. I had a accident in December of 2020. I still paid my insurance. On March of 2021 I was .75 cent short of my full payment and to my surprise. The company canceled my policy. From December to March I was driving rentals until I saved up money to get a new car. I even picked up a third job to make sure during this pandemic so my income would cover all bills. To my surprise my policy was canceled because I was .75 cent short. I can believe this company has done this.

Then I was told in order to reinstate my policy I would have to pay a new policy in full. What a slap in the face. I have worked overtime between paying for a rental in full (with no discount from Liberty) and paying for my insurance. I was short .75 cent. I am beyond hurt. This is no way to treat anyone during Americans worst time in history. I have a brand new car with no insurance. I can not afford to start a new policy at this moment.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I switched to another insurance company and LM is charging me $737.01 saying they covered me Without My Permission through Covid. This is a scam I was covered by another company and even if I wasn’t I NEVER ASKED THIS COMPANY TO COVER ME. Please make people aware of this insurance scam!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Updated on 12/13/2021: Update - l contacted corporate Saturday the 8th and left a lengthy voicemail. At the end of the call they had till Friday. I got a call from some lady named Mara who had no clue and insisted we only called to set up a tow on the 5th. I had names and phone records to prove otherwise. The 5th was stuck in her head so l just had to end the call. She was mad because l told on everyone. The president called me apologizing and repeating ”l assure you we strive to make our customers happy.” l am not one of their customers and his customers is happy because they got their car fixed. Long story short-She got a new front end and the car was done yesterday. l just fixed the TT myself. I hope to never have to deal with them again and l told them that.

Original: One of Liberty Mutual customers hit my niece back in October 2020. She had advise both of them in the body shop that her traction control is malfunctioning now and she heard a noise coming from the right front side of the car. The customer of liberty mutual made a left-hand turn on her and she hit them which damage the right front side of her car. She had told me that her traction control light just comes on randomly and the car will stop moving or lose power while she’s in motion in the traction control light just Goes crazy. I also witnessed the traction control light on when she dropped her car off at my house so she can use mine. She has called liberty and Body by Cochran in Monroeville Pennsylvania several times to let them know that these issues are ongoing with no results.

So I took matters in my own hands and I called them myself because she had been using my car for the past two weeks. Before that she wishes barring everybody else’s car because nobody was returning her calls. It took six phone calls in two days. It took two phone calls to get a tow truck. The claims adjuster that had been handling her case has never returned her call and that was two weeks ago. We’ve been getting the runaround between liberty mutual and body shop that she’s dealing with still. We had to pay another shop to look at that noise which in turn we were told the axle was damaged. The other axle is fine. It’s just been an absolute nightmare for me and for her.

For me because I’ve had to let her use my vehicle so she can get to work. For her, her car still isn’t technically drivable. The car is back at the shop again. Even the shop was giving me the runaround. I was told by liberty mutual that I need to contact the body shop, but she is the accident victim why should we have to contact the other person‘s insurance company to get her car fixed right? I will continue to call until this is resolved. This has affected me like I said because she’s had to use my car and I’m out of the vehicle because I love her and I’m not gonna let her ride in a car that is not the way it was before and I feel a lot better if she’s in a vehicle that’s safe. Just remember, how would you feel if you were in this situation?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Liberty Mutual tried to charge me $2,300+ to insure my two autos. Last year they charged me around $1,500. The autos are both a year older now. The Hartford insured both autos for $900 for a year, the same term as Liberty Biberty. They should change the commercials to, "OVERpay for what you need."

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I have been with Liberty Mutual for my home and auto insurance for many years and have had no issues with them as an insurance provider. That being said I recently just switched to another company out of necessity as the new company was much cheaper for my new car. I then learned that Liberty Mutual charges you a penalty for leaving a policy “early” and on top of that they leave you no way to pay that penalty online once the account is closed. I was paid ahead and they claim I owe them money due to the penalty. With so many insurance companies out there is no need to deal with this. Please be aware of this upfront when researching companies.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I saw the potential for savings in the Right Track Program. That's why I signed up for it. Even after seeing many reviews that stated it was "impossible" to get a good score, I thought that maybe these people were being dramatic. They say the program will result in you getting a guaranteed 5% discount, up to 30% depending on the results of your 90-day program. I ended up with a 7%. During the program you can view every trip and it gives you a score using four different face expressions. I was thinking that if I can focus on receiving a good score on a majority of my trips during the program that I will ultimately see my savings increase periodically and have a decent savings by the end.

The truth is, it is extremely difficult to get much of a savings. By the end of the 90 days, I would say that 80-85% of my trips had the highest score possible, but my total savings at the end only ended being 7%! How are you supposed to get a 30% savings if having a success rate of 80-85% only gives you a 7% discount? Also, the app gives you an average rating (using the same facial expressions as the trip ratings) of all your trips. With having 80-85% of my trips earning the highest score possible, my overall rating was a 2 (there are four different facial expressions and I had the second to worst as my average rating). That seems wrong. They must weight the average poorly.

Lastly, don't be misled like I was. I believe it was just a miscommunication, but I also believe that they should be absolutely clear about this particular subject. You will receive a 10% discount (it may be different depending on what state you are in) just for participating in the Right Track Program. Then they tell you that you have the potential to save 5%-30% following the completion of the program. What was not made clear to me is that whatever your savings is after the program is finished REPLACES the 10% discount. Since my discount was 7% my policy went up from what it had been during the 90 days of the program.

I am not super upset, because it is still a savings compared to what the original premium would have been, but the fact that I was expecting a savings, and therefore a decrease in my premium, but saw that it went up following the program was disappointing. So, simply, don't be fooled in thinking the savings you earn from the program is in addition to the 10% they give you for participating.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

Rates constantly going up, customer service is poor. Made no effort to retain when leaving. I would not recommend even with initial teaser rates. Additionally was hit by vehicle in parking lot, would not honor claim.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I have been paying 100 dollars for over a few years. I am not impressed with the fact that it doesn't matter if I have 1 car or 20 cars. I would think that the less cars you have it would be cheaper. I guess they get us no matter what because it's the law to have it.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I would give them a 0 if I could. Liberty Mutual as a whole is complete trash. Once you sign the line don't expect sales rep to answer any questions. Expect them to give you nothing but problems during your time with them. If you cancel they will charge you a fee for canceling and tell you it's "State requirement" when you can research and see it is not a NC law and when you speak to resolution specialist in this case Ryan, when you tell him it is not a state requirement he gets flustered and says, "Well um, maybe it's uhh liberty mutual then. I'll just have the manager call you."

Manager never calls. I call back and they put in another manager request to call me and then manager says she can't do anything to waive a cancellation fee and its NC requirement, and I explained to her I did research, spoke with my attorney, and my new insurance provider is not a law. And she was like, "Well mam, I am sorry there is nothing I can do, I am not in NC, I am not familiar with the laws, I am just going off of what Liberty mutual provides us." I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND LIBERTY MUTUAL TO ANYONE!!!!

Liberty Mutual - Auto Company Information