Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance

Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual - Auto
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.41/5

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Liberty Mutual - Auto Reviews

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

This company will tell you that the policy benefits are as is when you get it and time you open up a claim it is a different story. No claim paid but they will take your money but not no more! I canceled them for good.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I have been insured by Liberty Mutual Insurance company for more than 10 years but it ends now. I discovered last year that they removed the wrong automobile from my policy and I was driving without insurance until it came time for renewal and the ID card was not enclosed for this vehicle. Recently, I needed road side assistance and they never picked up the phone. I had to call someone else which resulted in a $250 towing bill. Liberty Mutual reimbursed me $50 which they deposited to an account that I did not authorize and sent the claim report to my daughters address instead of mine. My other daughter had to contact the company three times to get them to send her policies to her address instead of mine.

It appears that if you have the same last name as another insured party, they just randomly choose where to send your personal information without address and policy verification. Do you really want to do business with an insurance company like this one? I plan to leave when my policy expires. I am afraid to do so in advance out of fear that they may send my refund to someone in a foreign country with the same last name.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

I was misled! I switched over to Liberty Mutual for a better rate. Which I got! I was told a price, than told, if I use RightTrack I could save up to 30% MORE on my current rate! I confirmed with a question. “If I didn’t use RightTrack would the price stay the same!” I was told “(YES) No change in current price!” The device was delivered and I decided, I didn’t want to use it! I called customer service and was told if I didn’t use it, my current price would automatically go up! (I was completely misled.)

My feelings were, no choice but to use it or cancel my policy, that took more than an hr to get! Customer service convinced me, to give RightTrack a try! I did! You’re definitely more aware of your driving. But braking and acceleration is not all about breaking an acceleration! It’s more of, (monitoring your speed on how fast/slow you go in a certain time frame).

My issues with RightTrack is; (you get events in toll booths, entering/exiting highways). I wouldn’t even be complaining so much if exiting/entering the highway, would be considered as 1 event” But multiple occasions of exiting the highway was counted as 3 events!!!! • Time frame - under 3 seconds! So if that (3 events) happens, they deduct more than $30 (on what you’ve managed to accumulate for weeks in great driving) gone, in under 3 seconds of slowing down. “And The deduction is immediately!” But when you drive “great” for days you may get a few dollars increase! It can take a few hours/ days to see the increase in the app!

• 3 seconds to deduct more than $30.

• Great driving for weeks, maybe an increase of $20?!?!

You tell me, what’s fair? My opinion; RightTrack is definitely flawed! I feel like it does not consider situations such as toll booths, exiting/entering highways!

Also, for some reason, cloudy days seem to delay the app completely! On a better note the customer service has been fabulous! Conclusion: I do not recommend anyone to try RightTrack! It’s not worth the stress to save under 10% and in some cases may even cause an accident, trying to adhere to rules given to save cash! Unless you’re driving under 100 miles in three months. There’s just too many flaws and definitely is NOT worth the stress & aggravation to save “maybe” 10% on your policy!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

My insurance bill kept going up every month and I switch to another Insurance Company. They billed me three months after I switch and charge me for it and now my account has been put in collections which has ruined my perfect credit. Please find another Insurance Company.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I had Liberty Mutual in the past. However, when I moved to Florida they said that they couldn't insure my condo. So, I went to AAA and got a great deal for my car and condo. When I had to move back to MA I called liberty mutual and got a quote for $1100. So, I went to AAA in MA and the same coverage for $683. Recently, liberty mutual had a deal for Hyundai owners. I called and gave the woman who I spoke with my Mapfre (from AAA) info. After a few minutes of reviewing liberty's cost she told me she would have to call me back because there was a problem with her computer. I never heard back from her.

A couple of days later I called liberty and gave the guy who answered the name of the woman I previously spoke with. Rudely, he said "Look mister, we have a thousand people here and I don't know who she is". I know she made an excuse about her computer and never called me back because liberty's pricing is one of the worst in the country. Rude, expensive and lacking customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I got Liberty Insurance renters and auto insurance in 2014 after being referred to one of their agents by the bank who provided my auto loan. I had no accidents or derogatory marks to my driver's license for the bulk of the time I was with them; however, my premium rose substantially each year and they told me it is because of the state I live in although my vehicle was only getting older. And my family and friends who had other insurance for vehicles in the same state had steady reductions to their rates year after year.

By the time I finally left them in 2019, my premium was MORE THAN DOUBLE what I was originally paying, even though the value of my vehicle had decreased significantly. After my policy was canceled, Liberty Mutual was quick to send my remaining balance to a collection agency, not giving me the opportunity to pay it to them; the collection agency also reported it to the credit bureaus right away, which I am currently disputing.

When I did have an accident in late 2018, their response was almost laughable. The ACCIDENT FORGIVENESS THEY ADVERTISE IS A SHAM - they tried to write off the vehicle as a total loss (which it wasn't and would have left me with only enough to get a much lesser vehicle - thank goodness my mechanic convinced them otherwise) and didn't pay enough while the vehicle was being repaired to get a rental, even though this was part of the policy. All this after I was a loyal customer for over five years and even referred a friend when I initially got the insurance with them (which I regret). After reading the policy further, I also realized their renter's insurance barely covered anything. The agent I was originally referred to there by my bank left shortly afterward, and if they treat policyholders this way, I'm sure they treat their employees badly too.

After I left them, I easily found another insurance company that charges me almost half of what they were charging me for full comprehensive insurance in the same state, and I convinced my friend that I referred earlier, who also expressed his unhappiness with the company, to leave them as well. I did my research and called around, which took less than an hour - I'm not into talking reptiles and boxes or comic relief on bundling to help me choose something as serious as an auto insurance provider; of course, the companies with these types of commercials are not targeting informed consumers and aim for a demographic that would more like to be entertained than do research, so I wasn't surprised they offered the highest rates of the companies I contacted. To sum it up, Liberty Mutual has been a gyp and headache.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

This is a completely dishonest company. You will get a quote, and trust me, you need to read the fine print and DO NOT listen to the salesperson whatsoever. In my case I did not want the drive wise program or whatever they call it. The salesman said, No problem. Just don't sign that box, it's an extra discount if you do, but no problem if you don't." 3 weeks later, I get an extra bill for $102. I call them to explain what happened, they acknowledge what happened, and basically said they don't care. I take this as basically bait and switch business practices.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

If I can give them no stars I would. They are a horrible company. I wish I never ever chose them. They will side rail you at any given time and will ruin your credit on you do not I mean do not go with them. You will regret it. Trust me.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

Was a faithful customer of Liberty Mutual for over 30 years, until I got roadside assistance. I had no idea they were considering a roadside assistance an actual at fault claim until they cancelled my policy for too many roadside assistance requests.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Where do you even begin with an insurance company as terrible as Liberty Mutual? I purchased a motorcycle policy which was in effect for A TOTAL OF 9 DAYS. I cancelled the policy because it covered a motorcycle financed by an abusive manchild that I was lucky enough to escape from with my life. My insurance agent, being an insensitive, predatory, absolutely awful agent, had the audacity to call and repeatedly ask me for my abusive ex's phone number (though I immediately told her WHY I cancelled his policies), because she so desperately wanted to sell him her snake oil insurance and make a few dollars off of my misery.

Despite repeatedly telling her that I was NOT giving her his phone number so that she could go try to cut him a deal, she continued to try to get me to give her his contact info and convince me that she just wanted to check up with him about insurance and make sure he was safe and covered! (WHO DOES THAT!? What kind of insurance agent tries to convince a victim of abuse to think about how her poor abuser might be down and out with no insurance!?) She went as far as repeatedly calling me back, trying to get his number, when I told her it wasn't going to happen and hung up on her. GROSS. THEN I find out that Liberty Mutual went and billed my payroll nearly $600, when I have ONE policy that costs $134/month.

I call them. They say they made an accounting error. I wait a day for them to fix it and then I call back. They tell me, "oh, sorry, none of this is making any sense. We can't figure out how you've been charged SO MUCH because even if you'd paid the motorcycle policy you cancelled for the entire year, it shouldn't have come out to this sum of money. We're going to escalate this to our IT department, turns out it's an IT error, not an accounting error." I wait a day and call them back.. They can't figure it out. For weeks I call and get hung up on while waiting ridiculously long amounts of time on hold. No one has any answers, no one calls back when their line disconnects. Garbage customer service fails are just adding up and adding up, while I'm sitting here unable to afford groceries because these hacks billed 5 months worth of insurance from my PAYCHECK in one month.

I keep trying to find out where my money is and what is going on, I've lost 10lbs and I want to eat some time this year. FINALLY, I get through and they try to tell me they've made no error and that motorcycle insurance can't be cancelled during certain times of the year without having to pay a MASSIVE amount of money. When I bought the policy, I was not informed of this. When I cancelled the policy, I was not informed of this. I never signed any documentation for the full coverage motorcycle insurance that I had, again, for A TOTAL OF 9 DAYS and for which I was charged nearly the ENTIRE YEARS' POLICY AMOUNT. I could literally have paid it for MONTHS, THEN cancelled it and would have shelled out LESS money. The best part is, the first 4 people I talked to told me that even with the prorated policy charge for cancelling, I should NOT have been charged the amount that I was charged.

So, I'm told a half dozen times there's been an error, I was overcharged, they're going to fix it, they're just struggling to find their errors, etc. But today, they suddenly say they've made no error and that it makes all the sense in the world why they would charge me nearly $600, and why no one would ever tell me anything about these ridiculous charges and that, despite every agent beforehand saying that there was an error with the billing, now there was no error made.

So, here I am, after being robbed over $1000 by my abusive ex, out another $600 for his motorcycle policy that barely ever existed because Liberty Mutual agents are incapable of doing math and fixing their errors. On top of that, they've been nothing but awful throughout the entire 7 weeks of dealing with this. Liberty Mutual: garbage policies, terrible rates, awful customer service, predatory woman-abuse-defending fools. The company is a fraud and their agents are HACKS.

Liberty Mutual - Auto Company Information