Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual - Auto

3.9/5 (1204 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual offers several insurance types, including auto, rental and home, throughout the U.S. The company provides competitively priced home insurance, as well as add-on natural disaster coverage and discount options for new homes and policy bundling. Its user-friendly online platform makes it easy to request a quote and start a new policy.

Pros

• Discounts available
  • Many customization options
  • Affordable

Cons

• Customer service difficulties
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Liberty Mutual's auto insurance is ideal for those looking to buy affordable and customizable coverage online. The company offers an array of discounts and custom coverage options.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Liberty Mutual - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

They're shady. I called them on 10/25 to get auto and homeowner policies. I specifically told them NOT to start the policies until 11/13. After viewing my accounts online, the effective day for one of the policies didn't start on 11/13, it started on 10/25. Also, they told me that it won't be drafted from my checking account until 11/13, but they charged me on that day! One was for $305.50 and another was $1,646. I called them to ask for the refund. Before getting off the phone, they said that it was processed. A couple of days went by and I still didn't see my money. So, I gave them a call. They said they had no record of it. At this point, I've decided to cancel both policies. Today is 11/3 and I still haven't received my money back yet. What I've learned from this experience is that I'll never pay anyone using my checking account anymore!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

I needed to trim my budget so I got an auto quote from Geico that was $50 less than I was paying LM. I switched to Geico. They are trying to Bill me for a month that they did NOT cover my vehicle. They sent the bill to a collection agency. Of course I am denying the debt. Get over it LB. I went to another provider I could afford.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

They extend claims processing till the very last date allowed by state law. If your state allows them 30 days to open the claim, they will take 30 days. If they have 45 days to pay after the claim is opened, they will wait 45 days to pay. If you want your claims processed in a timely fashion or that of the person you hit, so you don't have a lawsuit filed against you, select another carrier.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Liberty mutual is a fraud and a scammer insurance company. That's the best way I can put it. My girlfriend met in an accident on September 3, 2021. We both spoke to the adjuster that day. Today is October the 16, 2021. All now we have not heard from him back. She got a rental from Enterprise and they took it back from her because Liberty stop paying for it. We live in Connecticut and go to work in New York. What Liberty want us to do. Walk to work. My girlfriend is a EMT. Anyhow after calling Liberty mutual every day it's a different story all over, they say they would call you back but that never happens.

Spoke to a manager yesterday. She telling me a different story. She said a different department is handling the claims now. This is **. After over a month of calling liberty mutual they telling me this. This is a Damn joke. Liberty mutual is a waste of time. I am still paying for insurance for a car that is not driving, have no rental because liberty wait till your rental runs out and then no help from them. I have 2 cars with liberty mutual and I am leaving them asap. I am telling all my friends and family to stay away from these scammer insurance. Please people stay away. They are jokers and they will not help you in any way. Liberty mutual it hurts to know you do these things to hard working people around the world and rip us off our hard working money and then throw us under the bus.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

My wife hit large pothole that caused severe damage to both right side wheels and suspension. Took to dealership service department for estimate. >$7,000 in damages. Reported incident to L.M Auto Claims dept. Sent detailed report from dealership. L.M sent check for $753 for refurbished wheels and 2 tires. Called Claims to correct shortage and policy states parts will be OEM. LM Claims dept told me not all parts on quote from dealership were needed and closed claim. I had them reopen and insisted they pay for all repairs listed by dealership for damaged/bent suspension and wanted OEM wheels, not refurbished. They stated that my policy had a clause that allowed them to use the refurbished wheels and their claims agent didn't see any additional damages. The agent never went to dealership to inspect.

We had the dealership service manager demand that LM send someone to inspect. Another person assigned to claim. They agreed to pay $3800 worth of suspension damages. I have a $500 deductible and have been a LM customer for over 10 years. This is the third claim that I have had with LM and they didn't pay the other claims either.

I will be reporting my 3 cases to the SC Insurance Commission. I urge everyone to look elsewhere for their insurance coverages. Liberty Mutual does not pay claims as represented in their policies. Liberty Mutual has been a horrible experience for me and has cost me 1 totaled vehicle that they refused to pay for. $43,000 in damage to kitchen due to pipe burst which they refused to pay anything on. And finally my wife's BMW damage that will be costing me $500 deductible (as expected) plus over $3,000 out of pocket to get vehicle restored to pre damaged condition. They are a horrible company and I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Why NOT to take your business to Liberty Mutual Insurance:

1) They hike up you premium rates at each renewal, even if you don't have an accident, a claim, a violation, never been late on your payments, NOTHING.

2) Apparently they got rid of their customer support: you are more likely to win the power ball jackpot than to find a number to call on their entire useless website.( with exception of the advertised number to join as a new customer (victim).

3) After you call the new customer # be prepared for a long painful runaround before you speak to anybody (have your blood pressure Meds in hand, and 911 on speed dial in case they give you a heart attack).

4)Website is useless with a stone age virtual assistant that has only a few generic questions already in the website. And there is no option for the BOT to find a live agent for ya.

5)When you finally speak with a live person, all I got from him as an explanation for my unwarranted premium hike...."I have no explanation other than the liberty's rates went up, and the discounts you had are no longer applicable!" (Bear in mind there was no changes whatsoever in my life from last year to this renewal: no accidents, claims, violations, nothing).

6) All this nightmare is me doing nothing not filling a claim. NOW think of yourself as liberty mutual future customer who is in a position where he needs to file a claim!! If you ever file a claim....well I refer you to reviews from people who have!! Read reviews from people who filed a claim with liberty and see how many stayed with them.... None!!.. Hell I'm looking for a new insurance and didn't even file any claims.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

So I have had my first claims with Liberty Mutual, what a nightmare with the claims department. I had spoken to 5 people in the claims department and zero resolutions and more of victim shaming. I was a victim in a horrible accident and Liberty Mutual is my insurance company. I have spent more than my deductible and I filed for reimbursement and I was told that I might be able to write that off on my taxes. The claims department has screwed up from the beginning by filing a abandon vehicle and kept my truck in private impound for 2 weeks. While my truck was in impound the so called adjuster sent my a fake estimate. This is a horrible company. I filed a complaint with the Arizona Department of Insurance.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I was on a hit and run in February 2021. The driver was renting a car via TURO app. As Liberty Mutual was responsible they are not fixing my broken car. It’s been seven months and my adjuster is not answering my calls. I have a All State insurance and my adjuster is trying to reach out to liberty mutual adjuster and the adjuster is still not answering the calls. I have evidences. It hurts to see my car like that every time I drive.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Our vehicle broke down on the outskirts of town around 7pm. We called Liberty roadside assistance to get a tow. We were on the phone for 45 minutes. We told the person that we could get a ride home, and come back in the morning if it was easier since she seemed to be having trouble pinpointing our exact location & it was getting dark. She said we could make an appointment to meet the tow truck in the morning. She asked, "What time do you want them to be there?" We said 7:00 a.m. would be great! She said that was available. "I will set it up, and the tow truck will be there between 7 and 730."

My husband woke up next morning to go meet truck. We got 3 texts saying "We apologize for the delay. We are still working to secure service for your vehicle's needs. You should hear from us again shortly." Well, it's been 3 hours & there is supposedly a tow truck on the way. He is still an hour out. Oh, btw, we had to call SEVERAL times to get ANY info. Absolute incompetent company!! They told my husband that they were having trouble finding a company due to bad weather. LOL!! There's literally not a cloud in sight! Liiiieeeessss!!! We will be switching companies ASAP! LM has lost our business!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I guess all insurance companies are great if you never ever have to file a claim! Liberty Mutual, oops! I mean Safeco is the absolute worst insurance company on the planet! Stop throwing your policy premium payments into this Massive Black Hole! Cut your losses and get out! Before it’s too late!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

Liberty Mutual has one single goal and that is to make money. They do not care for their customers who they sell policies and earn premiums. The company when faced with paying uses the tactic of delay, defer and defend. My situation is not unique and Google them under bad faith. They are a large insurance company that spends a lot of money on advertisements that have no truth to them. When you google Liberty Mutual you will find that they do not treat their policy holders well when there is a claim and become adversarial. My situation was terrible and is a nightmare. As such if you pick Liberty Mutual then you are risking not being taken care of when or if they are needed. Adjusters misrepresent facts and make false allegations to minimize the amount they will pay on the claim.

Insurance companies claim they are victims but they are predators that are waiting to get their prey and cheat, misrepresent and underpay on valid claims. The insurance company gets away with everything as they can claim that a defense when written by them is not a lie but if a customer sends them anything that is not worded in their manner they verbally attack you and want you to lie and per their policy help them defend a claim where liability cannot be contested.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

When you have a claim you will find out how bad this company really is. They farm you off to a company called Servco who are loss adjusters and things go downhill rapidly from there. They also have a 1 star review and that should tell you everything you need to know.

Original review: July 7, 2021

Liberty's current advertising slogan is basically a scam. Several times during any day, it states "ONLY PAY FOR WHAT YOU NEED" while it's illegal for any insurance company to sell a coverage the customer doesn't want. In my opinion, the commercial violates the truth in advertising law that states, when consumers see or hear an advertisement, whether it's on the Internet, radio or television, or anywhere else, federal law says that ad must be truthful, not misleading, and, when appropriate, backed by scientific evidence. I don't know if anything can be done, but consumers should be made aware of this, especially if they're planning on purchasing insurance from Liberty because of the slogan and believe that Liberty is the only company that does this. Thanks.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I'll try to make this as simple as possible... I was a Liberty Mutual customer for 13 years. My auto insurance had slowly risen for three vehicles and two trailers to almost $7,000 a yr. I finally got up off my butt and did some research I got the same exact coverage from Arbella and saved over$ 2,600 a year. I can only imagine how long I've been taking this beating. I never really had looked into it because I had been under the impression, as a long time, well-paying customer, I would be appreciated .there was no way it could be any other way... I was wrong and I'm deeply disappointed. Don't bother with them... If they don't take advantage of you today they will eventually when you're not looking and don't expect it... And the new unaffiliated agent who found me that insurance said he sees that all the time with Liberty Mutual. So there you go do you need to really hear any more?

Original review: July 3, 2021

The commercials for this company are more than stupid. No point to them, absolutely no humor, not cute in the least, not even close to funny. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP WASTING MONEY ON THE STUPIDEST COMMERCIALS!!! Please.

Original review: July 3, 2021

Liberty Mutual added my grandchild to my policy without my authorization. They charged my bank account $685 for one month of coverage when she got her learners permit at age 17. This same coverage (young adults with learners permits) is offered free by many other insurance companies. I reported them to the Texas Insurance Commission.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Got our car stolen and retrieved one day later. Weeks and weeks later still waiting on Liberty Mutual to approve repairs. Liberty Mutual "specialist" will not return phone calls, texts, or emails. The repair total is only 2800. We pay over 900/mo in premiums for our vehicles. Liberty Mutual has no problem taking this kind of money but when asked to provide a simple approval you get nothing.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I filed a claim on a loss of of 7000.00 dollars. For parts, engine, Labor from the shop. I thought after my monthly payments for over 5 years for a special coverage that they would at least cover the parts like fuel, gaskets, shop supplies would be covered. THEY ARE NOT AFTER PAYING 1600.00 A YEAR. After 3 agents and tossed around to these agents I still had to keep on them to complete the claim. WOW. I cancelled. First time shame on me. There will not be a second time. Be warned. It's your money not theirs.

Original review: April 26, 2021

I called to cancel my insurance on the 16th. Was told they already took my payment on the 15th. Which was a lie they didn't take it till the 19th. I was also told on the 16th it would take 3 to 5 days to get my money back. Now it's the 26 and I am being told it will be back into my account on the 29th or May 3rd to get my money back. Which I really need to buy medicine that I have to take. They don't care. I had a lady in the resolution department hang up on me today after my 4th call. Also they took out 324.29 on the 19th after I told them to cancel it but will only refund 206.18. I am being told it costed me 118.11 for 10 days of insurance. Unless you want to be screwed over don't get insurance thru Liberty Mutual ever.

Original review: April 10, 2021

It’s really breaks my heart to write this review. I told everyone I know about Liberty Mutual. In the beginning, I was happy with the company. I had a accident in December of 2020. I still paid my insurance. On March of 2021 I was .75 cent short of my full payment and to my surprise. The company canceled my policy. From December to March I was driving rentals until I saved up money to get a new car. I even picked up a third job to make sure during this pandemic so my income would cover all bills. To my surprise my policy was canceled because I was .75 cent short. I can believe this company has done this.

Then I was told in order to reinstate my policy I would have to pay a new policy in full. What a slap in the face. I have worked overtime between paying for a rental in full (with no discount from Liberty) and paying for my insurance. I was short .75 cent. I am beyond hurt. This is no way to treat anyone during Americans worst time in history. I have a brand new car with no insurance. I can not afford to start a new policy at this moment.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I switched to another insurance company and LM is charging me $737.01 saying they covered me Without My Permission through Covid. This is a scam I was covered by another company and even if I wasn’t I NEVER ASKED THIS COMPANY TO COVER ME. Please make people aware of this insurance scam!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Updated on 12/13/2021: Update - l contacted corporate Saturday the 8th and left a lengthy voicemail. At the end of the call they had till Friday. I got a call from some lady named Mara who had no clue and insisted we only called to set up a tow on the 5th. I had names and phone records to prove otherwise. The 5th was stuck in her head so l just had to end the call. She was mad because l told on everyone. The president called me apologizing and repeating ”l assure you we strive to make our customers happy.” l am not one of their customers and his customers is happy because they got their car fixed. Long story short-She got a new front end and the car was done yesterday. l just fixed the TT myself. I hope to never have to deal with them again and l told them that.

Original: One of Liberty Mutual customers hit my niece back in October 2020. She had advise both of them in the body shop that her traction control is malfunctioning now and she heard a noise coming from the right front side of the car. The customer of liberty mutual made a left-hand turn on her and she hit them which damage the right front side of her car. She had told me that her traction control light just comes on randomly and the car will stop moving or lose power while she’s in motion in the traction control light just Goes crazy. I also witnessed the traction control light on when she dropped her car off at my house so she can use mine. She has called liberty and Body by Cochran in Monroeville Pennsylvania several times to let them know that these issues are ongoing with no results.

So I took matters in my own hands and I called them myself because she had been using my car for the past two weeks. Before that she wishes barring everybody else’s car because nobody was returning her calls. It took six phone calls in two days. It took two phone calls to get a tow truck. The claims adjuster that had been handling her case has never returned her call and that was two weeks ago. We’ve been getting the runaround between liberty mutual and body shop that she’s dealing with still. We had to pay another shop to look at that noise which in turn we were told the axle was damaged. The other axle is fine. It’s just been an absolute nightmare for me and for her.

For me because I’ve had to let her use my vehicle so she can get to work. For her, her car still isn’t technically drivable. The car is back at the shop again. Even the shop was giving me the runaround. I was told by liberty mutual that I need to contact the body shop, but she is the accident victim why should we have to contact the other person‘s insurance company to get her car fixed right? I will continue to call until this is resolved. This has affected me like I said because she’s had to use my car and I’m out of the vehicle because I love her and I’m not gonna let her ride in a car that is not the way it was before and I feel a lot better if she’s in a vehicle that’s safe. Just remember, how would you feel if you were in this situation?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Liberty Mutual tried to charge me $2,300+ to insure my two autos. Last year they charged me around $1,500. The autos are both a year older now. The Hartford insured both autos for $900 for a year, the same term as Liberty Biberty. They should change the commercials to, "OVERpay for what you need."

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I have been with Liberty Mutual for my home and auto insurance for many years and have had no issues with them as an insurance provider. That being said I recently just switched to another company out of necessity as the new company was much cheaper for my new car. I then learned that Liberty Mutual charges you a penalty for leaving a policy “early” and on top of that they leave you no way to pay that penalty online once the account is closed. I was paid ahead and they claim I owe them money due to the penalty. With so many insurance companies out there is no need to deal with this. Please be aware of this upfront when researching companies.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

The price is amazing and so much cheaper than the national leader with the same services. The customer service has been absolutely outstanding and the service is seamlessly integrated with Liberty Mutual's repair shops and adjusters.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I saw the potential for savings in the Right Track Program. That's why I signed up for it. Even after seeing many reviews that stated it was "impossible" to get a good score, I thought that maybe these people were being dramatic. They say the program will result in you getting a guaranteed 5% discount, up to 30% depending on the results of your 90-day program. I ended up with a 7%. During the program you can view every trip and it gives you a score using four different face expressions. I was thinking that if I can focus on receiving a good score on a majority of my trips during the program that I will ultimately see my savings increase periodically and have a decent savings by the end.

The truth is, it is extremely difficult to get much of a savings. By the end of the 90 days, I would say that 80-85% of my trips had the highest score possible, but my total savings at the end only ended being 7%! How are you supposed to get a 30% savings if having a success rate of 80-85% only gives you a 7% discount? Also, the app gives you an average rating (using the same facial expressions as the trip ratings) of all your trips. With having 80-85% of my trips earning the highest score possible, my overall rating was a 2 (there are four different facial expressions and I had the second to worst as my average rating). That seems wrong. They must weight the average poorly.

Lastly, don't be misled like I was. I believe it was just a miscommunication, but I also believe that they should be absolutely clear about this particular subject. You will receive a 10% discount (it may be different depending on what state you are in) just for participating in the Right Track Program. Then they tell you that you have the potential to save 5%-30% following the completion of the program. What was not made clear to me is that whatever your savings is after the program is finished REPLACES the 10% discount. Since my discount was 7% my policy went up from what it had been during the 90 days of the program.

I am not super upset, because it is still a savings compared to what the original premium would have been, but the fact that I was expecting a savings, and therefore a decrease in my premium, but saw that it went up following the program was disappointing. So, simply, don't be fooled in thinking the savings you earn from the program is in addition to the 10% they give you for participating.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Their policies are decent and the prices are too. In my area they’re cheaper than a lot of other insurance companies. They really do let you choose different types for your various needs such as boats and other vehicles. They were also wonderful during the pandemic of 2020.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Great rate for their homeowners. Cars another story. I am paying $400.00 less a month than I was paying them. That's a HUGE drop. I was paying them over $700.00 every month. Every company I got a quote from was literally $100s of dollars less than I was paying.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

Rates constantly going up, customer service is poor. Made no effort to retain when leaving. I would not recommend even with initial teaser rates. Additionally was hit by vehicle in parking lot, would not honor claim.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I have been paying 100 dollars for over a few years. I am not impressed with the fact that it doesn't matter if I have 1 car or 20 cars. I would think that the less cars you have it would be cheaper. I guess they get us no matter what because it's the law to have it.

Liberty Mutual - Auto Company Information