2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.35/5

Auto Owners Insurance works with independent agents to sell several types of insurance, including auto insurance. These independent agents aren't part of the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, so Auto Owners Insurance isn't a verified partner. To find a verified partner insurance company, contact InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

By innovating, Auto Owners Insurance has cut costs while still providing competitive coverage for automobiles and other major assets. Locally-focused agents respond to claims instead of national chains. Positive reviewers appreciate the flexibility brought on by the company’s growth.

PROS

• Has been a Forbes 500 company for more than a decade
  • Local agents and offices with independent businesses.
  • Offers several types of insurance
  • Bundle options available

CONS

• Claims processing times can vary
  • Rates may not be as competitive as other firms

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Compare quotes

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Compare quotes

Auto Owners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Original review: April 11, 2020

I have used them for home, auto, boat, camper for at least 20 years. Had a few claims, that were handled fairly, no big premium increases as a result. I know I am not paying for over the top TV, radio, airplane banner, magazine advertising. If you don't like your agent, find another one. The agent does not pay the claims, but should at least be responsive and polite.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I felt compelled to write a review as I noticed their fairly low rating on here. This is obviously due to people not understanding their coverage. We were victims of a nasty hail storm where we lost 18 windows, 3 sides of siding, and the entire roof. Auto Owners was extremely easy to work with and did not fight our contractor's invoice whatsoever. At the same time our neighbors (with similar home values) were offered HALF of what Auto Owners offered. Half is a big number when most of the exterior of the house needed to be replaced. Pay a few extra bucks and let Auto Owners insure everything that is important to you!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I have only had to claim the use of my roadside coverage, thank God. That service has been wonderful all the way around from my call to the end result with professional and prompt service. I have recommended this company to others.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have many types of policies with them, from auto, home, umbrella, commercial auto, and investment property. I think that I get a good value for the price that I pay. However, I heard that they really chose their customers.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

While I've never had to turn in any major claims I will say that any time I've had a windshield stone chip or glass replacement there have been no problems with coverage or assistance from Auto Owners. Message I've left have always been answered promptly and they keep their word.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I shopped my insurance this year to see if I could save some money. I have a great independent agent and they came up with Auto Owners for home and cars. We had a series of hail storms in Northwest Arkansas in April and many homes were damaged. The hail was very large, and lots of it. It accumulated about 2 inches on our deck. As I saw roofs being repaired, I contacted our agent and said I wanted to get ours checked, she started a claim process that day. I asked a couple of the roof repair companies to look at my roof. I was told definitely there was damage. Auto Owners sent out their guy to assess our roof and he told me that he saw damage, but wasn’t sure if it would warrant a new roof and that I should get another company to come out and look at it. He recommended two companies that he would call that were good.

I called one of them and they came out and also found damage and told me”this should be replaced”. I forwarded the information to the insurance company and left messages for the guy that came out, but no response. I finally got a hold of someone and they looked at the file and it showed “no damage” but after hearing my story they decided to send out a “independent Contractor“ roofing engineer. He came out over a week ago and looked at my roof. I asked him what he found but he said “I would have to wait until he filed his report “. I still haven’t heard anything!

I’m not looking to get a free roof. I just get a little nervous when we are the only house on our side of the street that was able to avoid any hail damage. We are the third house on our street and the first two and the next four houses have all had their roofs checked, replaced and are done. It’s not worth saving a few bucks if the insurance you get doesn’t cover you. The old saying You get What pay for, seems very true in this case. Buyer Beware!

Original review: June 9, 2020

My dad and I owned a home in NC. The area gets hurricanes and stretches of rain during the summer months. I'd pick Auto Owners because it was local. I didn't know that to avoid helping insurers pay for weather damage, Auto Owners uses a Wind damage clause. Which essentially says that although your home has damage from a hurricane, we will factor in Wind damage to reduce any payout for the hurricane damage. So despite the hurricane, the Wind may have blown off the shingles, and we do not cover Wind damage.

Original review: April 21, 2020

Terrible company to work with. I'm told from our agent that at one time they were decent, but has changed over the last few years. Take a look at other reviews (after 2016) and you'll see. This company will take ANY opportunity to deny a homeowner claim, and especially anything to do with water damage. We had a water heater go out after only 6 years, but because the wood underneath its platform was darkened (presumably from a previous owners water heaters mishap), Auto Owners decided the damaged must have been on-going and denied the claim.

First off - it was only the surface of the wood platform, and all of the supporting structure and studs were obvious virgin wood, with no damage, mold, dry rot, or anything. Wood looked practically brand new. When I pointed this out to the 20 year old adjuster she didn't care (and even had the in-depth contractors knowledge to explain to me how if dry wall is damped and allow to dry out, it becomes stronger). But, because the wood directly underneath the heater was discolored, the claim was denied.

2nd off - the hot water is located right next to the garage door - we have to look at it every day, and noticed the leak the morning after it started - no long term damage occurring here. We even had the adjuster (who arrived 5 days later, btw) indicate before even looking at the damage that they would most likely be denying or reducing the claim.

We've been relatively ok with the auto insurance, but am not so sure that if a claim is ever filed these guys will actually honor the claim. Well We've been donating to the Auto Owners Insurance charity for years now, but we'll be switching companies as soon as freaking possible! Stay away if you want to purchase a policy for security rather than just making a donation to this company!!!

Original review: April 14, 2020

Their adjusters are programmed to ignore claims for many weeks until the customer gets tired of waiting and deny just about everything in the claim normally covered in the policy. I wouldn't wish this company to anyone. We had our insurance for two cars as well as homeowners insurance with them for many years. I feel it was a total waste of premium for nothing. The adjuster Bradly ** didn't get back to me weeks at a time after the claim was submitted and at the end denied everything after telling me that get everything done out of my pocket to be reimbursed when the claim is approved. Save yourself the hassle when you most needed, stay away from Home Owners Insurance Company for Homeowners or Auto Insurance Policies. They are crooks to get your money only, they don't believe in paying claims.

Original review: April 9, 2020

I'm a customer of over 30 years and used to only have positive comments on this company. I notice other good USAA reviews don't appear to be reviewing auto injuries/medpay experiences. Yes, they pay car damage and the banking services I've had no issues with. However, this company farms out injury claims to "Auto Injury Solutions" who aggressively attempt to shut down claims. I had $50,000 in medpay and had to exhaustively fight for less than $10,000. They lost my business so they could save $2,000 which I paid out of pocket.

They also are on the vanguard in initiating state legislation to limit their medpay coverage to a year after the date of the accident. Woe be to someone with a serious ongoing injury from a car accident in Colorado for instance. They don't let customers know this; it's embedded on page 40 of my coverage. They explain that "we just pay for acute care and the customer can just use their private insurance after a year". We know acute injury can last well past a year. They used to be one of the best and now have plummeted in ratings from ten years ago. Unethical in regard to paying medpay. I am leaving the company.

Auto Owners Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company is an independent agency that customizes quotes from a large network of providers to find the best choice for the individual customer. The company has 35,000 independent agents and coverage in 26 states. Its financial strength rating from AM Best is A++.

• Coverage and plans: In addition to common coverage required by state governments, Auto-Owners has options for gap coverage, rental car coverage, loss of use coverage, common loss deductibles and diminished value coverage.

• Cost: Auto-Owners costs trend lower, especially for younger drivers. A 21-year old single male can expect to pay about $1,100 a year for auto insurance.

• Discounts: Auto-Owners has discounts for bundling, multivehicle policies, low number of claims, good students, paperless billing, upfront payments and timely payments.

• Standout feature: Auto-Owners’ Personal Automobile Plus package provides a range of perks, including coverage for missing keys, cell phone insurance and identity theft coverage.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor