2.87/5
Based on 62 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Save on Car Insurance - Compare Quotes

Auto Owners Insurance

Auto Owners Insurance works with independent agents to sell several types of insurance, including auto insurance. These independent agents aren't part of the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, so Auto Owners Insurance isn't a verified partner. To find a verified partner insurance company, contact InsuraMatch today.

62 Auto Owners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 27, 2018

I called to file a claim after my roof was leaking due to hurricane damage. Well they scheduled for someone to come out but they didn’t call or show after I had taken off work. Heard from them a week later and the adjuster finally came out to look at all the water damage on my ceiling and wall. She assured me that it would get taken care of. Well 2 weeks passed and I finally got a letter in the mail denying my claim and a threat to cancel my policy if I didn’t get it repaired right away. Needless to say I am no longer with them. Don’t waste your time or money with these guys.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Seems like Auto Owners Insurance company is just another insurance company that nickel/dimes their customers and provides the bare minimum service required by law and if they can get away with not paying for a small charge they should be responsible for they are willing to try and take advantage of someone because they know most people won't take them to small claims court or call an attorney over an issue under a few hundred dollars.

Long story short someone covered by the Auto Owners Insurance company hit my car and was admittedly at fault. I have a Sirius Radio subscription for my car that I pay about $12 a month for but when I go to get my rental car I am supposed to pay $7 a day for it. I don't think it is too much to ask for the insurance company for the at fault person to have to pay for the Sirius Radio service if you have a valid subscription on the car that is in the shop getting fixed. I can't stand being treated this way. I wouldn't recommend anyone use Auto Owners Insurance unless you don't care about getting the run around when it comes time to make a claim or get your car fixed.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 16, 2018

We own a small business which is open six days a week. Due to a power surge which occurred three weeks ago, we had to make a claim. This company is creating a horrible hardship with our small business! They're dragging their heels and it seems they are doing everything in their power to NOT communicate with us. Ever hear of "chasing your tail?" This is exactly what we are doing because of their extremely poor customer service and near zero communication. We have faithfully paid our very expensive monthly premium yet they are obviously not concerned about us though. We are already looking for a new insurance company because this one scares us. What if we had a major claim? It gives us nightmares to even think how they would handle it! I have a feeling they would high tail to China so they would never be found! Good-bye, Auto Owners --- shame on you!

Original review: May 25, 2018

Auto Owners Insurance was very thorough in resolving issues. They were very quick to respond and made sure the job was done very well and to our satisfaction. They were polite and listen well so any concerns can be met or explained within the first conversation. They take time for you and do not rush your conversation. Additionally, their claims process is exceptional and quick. The prices on their products are somewhat cheaper than the average insurance company.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My roof had hail and wind damage and Auto Owners refused to pay for a new roof. I called and made a claim mid Oct 2017. I had two roofers to my house and both said hail, wind, and water damage inside. First roof company tarped the roof. Auto Owners sent out an adjuster whom I found out a week later was no longer with company. Then they sent out an Engineer for a final decision because I kept fighting the decision. He reported back I had no damage at all and my roof was just old, but get this, he never even lifted the big tarp. Their final decision in Jan 2018 was that they would NOT pay, yet two very close neighbors had same damage and their insurance companies paid. I pay insurance for a reason!! I'm searching for a new company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Original review: May 17, 2018

Auto Owners Insurance have great prices, even better when you bundle. Also, with any additions, changes or reference to information; they have been outstanding in customer service.

Original review: May 11, 2018

We have never had an accident or driving violation. The cost is somewhat high. We have been with the same agent and same insurer off and on for years. When we complain they change to one other company for a while and lower the insurance only to raise it again the next year. I feel the insurance company could give us a much better rate than we are getting. I feel one of the reasons insurance is somewhat high is because we use an agent. The agent does not look out for our interest. Their main concern is with the company. Also, this agency does not represent many other companies. People I know and ask all have the same two companies. Some competition would be good for them. I keep them because they are included with my homeowner's and it’s a hassle to change.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Auto Owners was happy to take my money for full coverage for all of my cars, trucks, and trailers. Then on June 12, 2016 we had the worst hailstorm we have ever had, broke windows in my house, broke shingles on my roofs, and of course caused major damage to many of my vehicles; The other insurance companies I'm insured with took care of my houses and rentals, new roofs, windows and screens, "what you would expect". This was done within 3 to 6 months to complete. Auto Owners did send out an adjuster in the first week, all was good. Then they ask for proof of ownership, this was given to them as they had asked and then the waiting, waiting.

Finally, they can't find my ownership papers so they want them re submitted. (Frustrating) So We resubmit these papers again! Then waiting, and waiting, It has now been more than a year and still waiting, No one is talking to us from Auto Owners, still waiting, and waiting; (running out of Patience) AFTER ONE WHOLE YEAR AND A HALF!!! A check arrives in the mail. $200 OFFERED FOR EACH CAR DAMAGED!!! AUTO Owners, It turned into a nightmare and it still continues; I was offered $200. per car, for the repairs. I have bids from a local body shop as of today, average damage to each car is $3000. AUTO OWNERS HAS TO BE THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY!!!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have a Michigan Catastrophic PIP Claim with Auto-Owners Insurance Company which began on May 28, 1999 and continued without much difficulty after that. When I did receive a period of difficulty from Auto-Owners in 2013 I was able to resolve the issues myself with the help of Healthcare providers. In September 2016 the little to no difficulty I had become accustomed to regarding Auto-Owners Insurance Company's handling of my claim drastically changed. Following the beginning of September 2016, I have received a great level of difficulty that has continuously elevated. April 5, 2017 is the date of the oldest denial made on my claim by Auto-Owners I consider unreasonable. The denials I have received have been reasoned with speculation.

Even after sufficient medical evidence has been submitted to Auto-Owners by Healthcare providers and myself disagreeing with the denials, Auto-Owners has refused to acknowledge the medical documentation submitted providing proof of medical necessity. The denials have been stubbornly perpetuated by the Michigan Catastrophic PIP Claims representatives and their superiors. As a result, beginning April 4, 2018 I will begin to have necessary claim related medical mileage and miscellaneous expenses which have been denied become unrecoverable.

Auto-Owners claim representatives have denied this insured's claims using speculative, false and misleading statements to what is covered hoping I am uninformed, naïve or gullible enough to accept the denials as they have stated. In addition, they have used speculative, false and misleading statements as their reasons for denial when Healthcare providers have submitted disagreements with supporting medical evidence. When my attempts to have my coverage honored by Auto-Owners Insurance Company continued the Claim Representatives and the people in positions of authority above them have "dug their heels in" and continued to stubbornly refuse coverage. I believe this is like any "playground bully" who takes something from you and refuses to return it to you no matter how much you beg or reason with them.

Even with sufficient well documented medical evidence in my claim file (for almost 2 decades) the coverage being denied is reasonable and medically necessary they have remained steadfast with their speculative, false and misleading reasons for denial. Denial of policy coverage made by Auto-Owners with NO medical evidence and based on speculation has been considered unreasonable by Michigan courts and supported by the State of Michigan Appellate Court when Auto-Owners has appealed these decisions.

I do not access or attempt to access any treatment, therapy, service or provider that is not supported as medically necessary for my care, recovery and rehabilitation of injuries sustained in the claim related MVA. Both my Healthcare providers and myself are diligent in documenting and submitting all the necessary medical evidence.

I understand how denials for $150.00 here, $800.00 there and even a few thousand dollars may seem like they are only "nickel and diming" me. That may be true if you receive a regular employment income. Unfortunately I am permanently disabled from the injuries I sustained in the claim related MVA. I survive on a Social Security Disability fixed income. Thus, I rely on reimbursements to replace the personal funds I am required to use from the fixed-income I survive on from month to month. Without the ability to recover the miscellaneous expenses I suffer because of my continued care, recovery and rehabilitation from these injuries I will not have the ability to continue my necessary care, recovery and rehabilitation. If this happens I will lose the mental, emotional and physical ability to perform the necessary activities of daily life.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Do you want an insurance company that will take your money, then invent loopholes to get out of paying when you make a claim? Then Auto Owners is the company for you! My story is long and involved: suffice it to say, what they did wasn't just against common decency, it was actually in breach of their own contract language. They agreed to cover a loss assessment as part of my homeowner’s insurance, then when it came time to pay, they wasted time "reviewing my claim," before inventing an excuse to deny it by interpreting deliberately ambiguous policy language to their advantage. I'd be happy to share additional details with anybody who may be interested.

I've literally never published a negative review before today. I consider myself a pretty reasonable person. These people are untenable. Homeowners insurance exists for situations like this. You don't need an insurance company that won't honor their agreement to pay covered claims. Better to go with a company you know you can trust. This is a textbook example of a big company that couldn't care less about their customers' experience, as long as they keep making money. No accountability, they won't even follow their own contract. Do not, under any circumstances, give your money to these fraudsters. I wish I never had.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Stay away from Auto Owners Insurance. This company is far from professional. No compassion or integrity. Our problem started back in December when their insured rear ended my wife. Not one phone call from this company to see if she was ok or to take care of damages. Instead I had to track the number down and 5 phone calls later I get called back and still no one asks how she is. While speaking with Noel who never calls you back I let him know about the diminished value and he said, "Wait for car to be repaired then we can discuss it which is protocol," so we took the car in and had it repaired. I then paid $415 for a professional diminished value report and called Noel 5-6 phones calls voicemails. No callback.

Finally I called and got him on the phone. I told him the diminished value came out to $6058. He said that’s not gonna happen. They never pay out that so he has to speak to his manager. He told me to email it over which I did. By the way during this whole ordeal the manager never called once. So I emailed it. Over a week went by I called and left voicemails. No response. I finally spoke to the receptionist she said they received it. I waited a few more days so I called again. No call back so emailed stating I was gonna seek legal action and I received an email back from Elizabeth the expediter. She apologized and had Noel call me. He said they did their own diminished value and came up with $410.

I laughed. Not happy. He then asked how my guy came up with the amount. Really. I said, "You should know that he used the diminished value formula. I believe it’s a 17c formula." He then asked me to send over the report. I said I did. He said no then put me on hold and said, "Oh yeah we got it." He asked if he could call the company I used. I said yes. A week goes by he never called so 6 phone calls voicemails later still no call back so I emailed Elizabeth back and said, "This is not right. I’m seeking legal action," and she emailed me back that she can no longer help me or Noel so he never called back. I have to seek legal action and pay for a lawyer now.

What hurt they don’t care about you. I never seeked legal action for bodily injury or lost wages and time we showed nothing but good faith meaning while they are breaking the rule as stated in Department of Finance for all Florida insurance companies to follow it's a good faith law or ruling. This has been going on for 3 months. They just want to blow us off. We didn’t ask to get hit we just want what we are entitled to. Also 3 dealers said it would be a $6800 loss if we traded in. We are just looking for $6058 loss of value and $415 for appraisal and I lost $500 worth of wages due to me being self employed. I lost a lot of time. I think I’m being fair nice company. What do you think. 3 months is way too long.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Please!!! Pay attention to all of the bad reviews about this company. My wife and I had the same Home Owner policy for 9 years and decided to give them a chance with our Home Owners policy being that we had an auto policy for 1 years with them. The policy was just supposed to be transferred over. Thanks to Ann Marie, deciding to rewrite the policy for a higher commission the company of 9 years dropped us. They give you a low rate in the beginning and then raise your rates every 6 months for no reason. They are incompetent, corrupt, deceitful, avoid them at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

These people are deceptive, you would be wise to not do business with Auto Owners Insurance. They claim they can raise your premium at any time, without notice, or reason. I just got a 3 week notice to cough up 2.5 times the amount I already paid them. And I already paid them in $850 full. For the record, I never made a claim for anything in the five years I have done business with them. In November of 2016, for the 2016-17 policy, they sent an initial quote for the year for $850; then with two months left in the year they sent a bill for an additional $990 because they claimed I missed an audit. This year 2017-18, on November 15th of 2017, I paid the $850 again - and again I paid the premium in full. Today Feb 24th, 2018, I just received another notice that my premium more than tripled, they are requesting another $2056.00 on top of what I already paid them.

It's no secret I have an open construction permit with the local building department on a job that I have going. I have to have liability insurance or else I cannot call for an inspection. Like I say it's no secret and the permit can be viewed online at any time. I suspect they just sit back and watch your permit history and the progress of your job, and when the time is most convenient for them to pull the rug out from under your feet... They send you a ransom note - either pay up or be canceled.

I suspect that Auto Owners Insurance is running a racket, they figured out that if you pay them their ransom money once, then there is a good chance you'll pay them the ransom money again. I soundly advise you stay as far away from Auto Owners Insurance as possible. The money is just the tip of the iceberg with Auto Owners Insurance. They will not communicate with you, they do not want to spend the time to service their policies, and don't hold your breath waiting for them to answer the telephone or an email, because you'll be blue in the face before that happens.

Moreover the middlemen in the deal, the insurance broker, is a joke. The policy reads that one company, Primary Company - XYZ-01 is supposed to handle the policy, however, when you call them, they claim they are not the my insurance agents, and that a Subsidiary Company, XYZ-02, is really my insurance agent. So then you call them, and you get shuffled around again; and at the end of the ordeal, you are still not sure who the actual insurance agent is anyhow. If all this sounds familiar, it's because it's a lot like a shell game - its 3 Card Monte, if you please. Which shell is the pea under? I suspect if you picked up all three shells, you'd find the pea isn't under any of them. Not that it needs repeating, but there is something funny about Auto Owners Insurance that I don't find comical in any way, shape, or form - stay away... Stay far away - stay far far away - these folks are playing with a stacked deck. And there is no way you can possibly win!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I have been with Auto Owners for over a year and I have noticed whether you get a ticket or not your premium will go up every time it’s time to be renewed. I have a private agency that I go through but every time I have gone in person or called to speak to someone to explain why the premium keeps going up NO ONE IS EVER AVAILABLE or returns my call. I started paying $60 last February and I’m currently paying $106 and still no explanation. I think it’s time to say ** them and go somewhere else for both my car insurance and home insurance. I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

After being a customer with Auto Owners Insurance for about 30 years. Due to unfortunate set of events, they have chosen to not renew my auto insurance. I always thought that the reason for having insurance is to cover you when accidents happen. Be careful when you choose Auto Owners for your coverage, if they have to pay out, they will drop you.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have an independent agent so he reviews all companies and several years ago we settled on Auto Owners. I've had two claims with them, one major 10K and one minor, both were handled promptly and efficiently with minimum work on my part and with my best interest in mind. My agent immediately called me back, arranged for an adjuster to view damage, the adjuster worked with the repair shop and everything was done 100% to my satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Local independent agent takes care of all my needs in a timely manner and also, great customer service and does a annual survey of various insurance companies and their rates and it always come back to Auto Owners for not only best rate but also best service. Someone backed into my rear bumper with a trailer hitch and bent not only the bumper but bent bumper bracket. Over $1600 to repair and replace bumper.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

My home was destroyed in 2016. I have nothing but positive things to say report. The adjuster was terrific. She assisted me in every way possible. Helped find a temporary place for us to live... helped to salvage belongings that could be saved. Arranged for storage for our salvageable belongings. The company that is working on restoration of our home said that Auto Owners is one of the best companies that he has worked with. I have been a customer of this company for 20 years and have always been very satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

We unfortunately were victim to a falling tree during Hurricane Irma in mid-September. Auto Owners has yet to still settle with us and our independent adjuster. The original AO adjuster that was sent out never even inspected our roof or attic where there was damage. Thus their estimate was significantly off from what needed to be repaired. Auto Owners has continued to spin us around in circles, sending out a second adjuster and now sending out an engineer. We are very disappointed in their response to our home repairs. We have been displaced from our home with our dog and 2 year old son for close to 4 months while we continue to feel like Auto Owners just doesn’t care that our home is a disaster! Auto Owners was very highly recommended based on their customer service and response to claims, our experience has been less than pleasant and very stressful. We would caution others on using them as an insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Auto Owners has been my insurance company for 17 years and I have never had a problem with this company. Everything was always completed. I am a senior citizen and I receive discounts that apply. I have had 3 claims and they were extremely prompt and courteous. They contacted me via phone immediately to tell me when the adjuster was to arrive. Auto Owners sent the insurance adjuster right to my home. He checked the damage, gave me an estimate, asked where I wanted to have the repair done. Two days later I received a check for the damage.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I do restoration work for a living, and got to say Auto Owners is one of the most difficult, they are a joke. Stay away! My 80 year old grandmother had a leak in her roof, had both wind and hail damage, Jason ** the adjuster, fought it like he was fighting for his life, the wind damage they got out of because of improper nailing but they issued the policy anyways, and the holes all in the roof, the dents in the metal vents I guess they think from natural causes. I don't know.

Jason wrote in his report he didnt notice damage to the gutter guards and she doesn't even have gutter guards, then he sent an "engineer" out that I believe was his first day on the job, when I was on the roof with both of them you could tell they weren't even comfortable on a roof even with their special Martha Stewart roof shoes, the engineer didn't even do a chalk test, I asked him as he was getting out of good pinto, "Where's your chalk" he acted like he was out, so he came unprepared, and it took him a month to do his report. My grandmother has never even filed a claim. The main reason they turned her down they say due to the age of the roof, that is 20yo. AUTO OWNERS IS A JOKE. STAY AWAY, JUST READ THEIR REVIEWS!! LIBERTY IS A GOOD COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

They never answer the phone. I never heard of this company and is anyone else having trouble reaching Dillion ** 614 855 4547 ext **. Dont count on a company that will leave you out in the cold when you need them.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

We had a major hail storm and Auto Owners adjuster Tim ** from the Indianapolis office intentionally underestimated all of the damages. I had to dispute them for 18 months and they still haven't made it right. Their process involves sending an engineer who finds no damage and sides with the adjusters initial findings. Then upon further complaint they send another engineer who then finds a little more damage but accuses the homeowner of manual manipulation. The uncooperative adjuster refused to come back when asked to look at the damage along with our contractor.

These practices exercised by Auto Owners Insurance arent limited to Indianapolis. This company has done this identical thing to homeowners in Atlanta under the heading "Homeowners Fight with Insurance Company to Fix Hail Damage" and a Channel 2 news investigation can be viewed by searching the heading. I recommend you have your contractor present the first time your adjuster assesses your property damage. Auto Owners Insurance has still refused to pay for the pictured portion of this hail damaged roof.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My dad always owned the car that I drove and would not put the insurance in my name. Just a dad thing I guess, having no idea it would come back to haunt me one day. When I moved to the big city in 1998 and the insurance we had always had was no longer going to write in Nebraska, I could not get many insurance companies to look at me, due to the fact it was a first time for me to have insurance in my name. When I found I needed insurance at the age of 43, a lot of insurance companies would not even think of insuring me. Instead it would have to be in my mom's name who was going to give up her driver's license due to age. State Farm was the only one at the time who would take me on. I know Auto-Owner's would never have a qualm about anything like that as long as you have a credit score.

I switched to Auto Owners from State Farm in May 2008. I went with auto-deduct from the credit card on file, so I never have to worry about missing a payment every three months and I always get a notice that it is due, and what the amount will be that goes on the credit card, and then afterwards, I get an email with my receipt showing that it was paid. So nothing to worry about except enjoying my ride and peace of mind that my apartment, belongings and any guests are protected by the renter's insurance. I have never regretted my decision to switch with this company and they are the only insurance company to not charge you for not paying in full. You can take insurance for 6 months or a year.

If you pay the premium in full you receive a discount. Most insurance companies charge $5.00 to $10.00 per month or quarter to pay other than pay in full. If you sign up for paperless communication you receive $5.00 off your premium each time, and if you pay online you receive another $5.00 off your premium. Which I believe goes way beyond great customer service. In fact, I liked the company so much I stayed with the company this year after trading off an old Ford Escape for a 2013 Mazda and decided to go with a different agent. Sam was able to save me a ton of money by upgrading and giving me a year policy instead of 6 months. He also rewrote my renter's insurance for a much better deal.

If I ever had a claim, I have no doubt that it will be handled with kid glove treatment and the claim will go smoothly with no glitches or problems getting taken care of. Also, I was told that if I ever have a problem I can take my vehicle to any repair center that I want, so that means I can have it taken to the Ford Mazda dealership where I bought it and where I know everyone. Overall, I could not even imagine switching to a different insurance company for all my insurance needs. I have never had a claim and hope by the time I give up driving in my old age, that I can say the same thing. I would not hesitate to recommend Auto-Owners as an insurance agency for all your needs, whether just starting out needing insurance, adding a family member, relocating to a new state, or adding more property to your list.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

While the company seemingly had favorable ratings when it came to payoffs, however, I found their approach to be very opportunistic, to put it mildly! Case in point, I was with them for several years carrying three autos and one motor home. I had two rather insignificant claims and they cancelled my policy. My claims weren't such that I misrepresented anything. They both were legitimate and reasonable, I thought. After all isn't that why you have insurance? I WILL NEVER choose or recommend AO!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

For 2 years I've had this company. They decided to raise my account so I said I was going elsewhere. Went through a broker who took care of all details. She told me I needed to have the new company call her to verify. They did. Then they said I needed a paper signed online. Told them they needed to send it but didn't get it. Suddenly my account is overdrawn, they took my money, still drove to the broker office and signed papers. Southern owners said my money would be in my account 2 to 3 business days.

That came and went, nothing, called the broker again. They called Southern owners AGAIN. Now they said, "Whoever you talked to is very wrong. Be another week, 2 weeks total." They had no problem grabbing that money, but weeks to get it back. My account was overdrawn because of them who's gonna pay the 36 dollars the bank took. Plus now I have a negative thing in my account, was planning in buying a house soon. The bank looks at these things. When is this gonna end.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I have been with Auto Owners 5 years, never had any issues. Last January I was involved in an accident. Although someone turned left in front of me, because I was in a bicycle lane, looking to enter a driveway, I was found "At Fault". I knew I had Rental Reimbursement, so I went ahead and got a car rental. The claims adjuster went out of his way to "treat me right". He was ready to close the claim on a Wednesday, but I wasn't ready to pick up a new vehicle until Saturday. He let me keep, and paid for, my rental until Saturday! I was really fearing my May renewal, with this AFA now on my record. Auto Owners did NOT raise my rates! They treated me right at a most stressful time.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

We have had this policy for 13 years, covering our US home while we live overseas. The original agency has changed, and the new agency has always had to be contacted by telephone. We could speak only to a clerk, and found that updated information about the property was not reflected in the policy documents, that there was no adjustment to the premium, and that now that we wish to change to monthly payments while the property is on the market, we cannot bypass the incompetent agency and work directly with our policy online. Computer troubleshooting indicates our computer is properly configured, but the Auto Owners site is simply not responding. Using the agency's contact details, I had to use 'get a quotation' to register my request for help. I have heard nothing from them. I now have no recourse except to telephone the bank and cancel a standing order, and search for a new insurer online.

Original review: June 30, 2017

Worst insurance company ever. We had it for 2 weeks, after being insured by another insurance company for over 4 years, and it was revoked due to 'the risk being unacceptable for coverage'. I looked into new home and auto insurance after the cost for auto insurance increased substantially after our daughter started driving. I was pleased with the quote from Auto Owners and we cancelled our old insurance after we accepted the quote from Auto Owners. Two weeks later, we received a cancellation notice due to a delinquent payment. I immediately called our insurance agent. We had paid the quoted premium. Our agent informed me that it was not due to a delinquent payment, as stated in the correspondence. He said that it was being cancelled due to an exterior inspection. I was shocked. The claims made in the 'inspection' were ridiculous.

We were advised to make the suggested alterations in order to obtain the insurance. In the meantime, our mortgage company would put their own, much more expensive insurance in place. We hammered the ONE lifted nail in the roof, sprayed a small amount of algae off some siding, and rebuilt the deck railing that we had intentionally removed because I wanted a better view. We were still denied coverage and have been rejected by other insurance companies because of the 'revocation'. We have NEVER had such a HORRIBLE experience. We have owned several homes in the past, all of which were worse off than our current home, and have not ever had these issues. I would HIGHLY recommend staying far away from this company.

Original review: June 13, 2017

My wife was backed into in the parking lot of the Holiday Oil station on 12300S, Draper, UT. The police were called, but we were told they no longer take police reports in "private parking lots". The whole accident occurred directly in front of Holiday Oil's security cameras, and was able to be captured, and put on a separate memory stick that we could use for arbitration.

The opposing side who is not admitting any fault, had their adjuster get there within 3 days. Our adjuster made some phone calls, but never went to get a copy of the video tape from Holiday, who erased the month of April at the beginning of May. Leaving us with no visible proof as to what really happened. The case was sat on for 33 days until I went to their office, and asked why they didn't go 14 blocks away and get a copy of the video when we made the claim. Our case was assigned to an adjuster, who did little to nothing at all, then I again went to their office to ask why??? The case was then given to the supervisor, then the manager. Still nothing. They haven't even filed for arbitration. So we are left holding the bag of responsibility.

Auto Owners Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Auto Owners Insurance is a regional insurance company that offers life, home, auto and business insurance to individual customers and corporations. They focus on providing local, in-person availability that creates a personal relationship with their customers.

• Independent Agency: Auto Owners is an independent agency that customizes quotes from a large network of providers to find the best choice for the individual customer.

• Reputation: Auto Owners is a multi-award-winning company that consistently receives the highest rankings for growth, stability and service.

• Stability: The company has spent 12 years on the Fortune 500 list. They remain one of the top national insurers in their respective divisions year after year.

• Customer Service: Customer service has been decentralized in a unique approach that focuses on creating more outlets where clients can interact with local representatives in person.

• Community Focused: With nearby offices, the company allows customers to keep their business local while being close enough to an office to visit in person for any related needs or questions.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky