Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
2.45/5

Auto Owners Insurance

Auto Owners Insurance works with independent agents to sell several types of insurance, including auto insurance. These independent agents aren't part of the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, so Auto Owners Insurance isn't a verified partner. To find a verified partner insurance company, contact InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

By innovating, Auto Owners Insurance has cut costs while still providing competitive coverage for automobiles and other major assets. Locally-focused agents respond to claims instead of national chains. Positive reviewers appreciate the flexibility brought on by the company’s growth.

PROS

• Has been a Forbes 500 company for more than a decade
  • Local agents and offices with independent businesses.
  • Offers several types of insurance
  • Bundle options available

CONS

• Claims processing times can vary
  • Rates may not be as competitive as other firms

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

102 Auto Owners Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

While I've never had to turn in any major claims I will say that any time I've had a windshield stone chip or glass replacement there have been no problems with coverage or assistance from Auto Owners. Message I've left have always been answered promptly and they keep their word.

Original review: July 25, 2019

There are so many negative reviews on here, but all are instances where the customers are mostly in the wrong. If you compare Auto Owners to other companies on the market, they are among the best. There are negative things to say about every company, but mostly cause customers put themselves in those hard spots for insurance companies to deny claims. I have had Auto Owners for years and never had any trouble out of them. Claims have been paid out appropriately. Roadside has worked great. And my INDEPENDENT agent has always provided great customer service to me and my family.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I was recently rear ended in a car accident but still needed to go through my insurance. Once I filed my claim - I got a call back the same day. Rental car was set up immediately. The adjuster got out to assess quickly and repairs are started. Everyone that I worked with through this process was very helpful. Thank You!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My insurance company is very easy to deal with. When I had an issue they were quick to come out and review the damage, set me up with a rental car and gave me a list of shops near me that they would freelance the work out to. So easy.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

All around great insurance for the price that I pay for premiums. They have always been fair with me. When I had a vehicle totaled after a car/deer accident Auto Owners paid me fair market value for my car. It was a fairly painless process and took about a week. My only complaint, and it is very slight, is that you have to purchase an Auto Owners insurance policy through an agent, instead of being able to purchase directly from the company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I have only had to claim the use of my roadside coverage, thank God. That service has been wonderful all the way around from my call to the end result with professional and prompt service. I have recommended this company to others.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have many types of policies with them, from auto, home, umbrella, commercial auto, and investment property. I think that I get a good value for the price that I pay. However, I heard that they really chose their customers.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Auto Owners has good rates and excellent coverage. They have prompt attention and also have very competitive pricing. I have been with for over twenty years plus. I would definitely recommend to a friend.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

My agent(s) is not very knowledgeable. My vehicle gets older every year but my premiums increase every year ($200 increase this year over last year). No one seems to know what they are doing. Our former agent retired.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I was simply amazed at Auto Owners Insurance. We have held them for almost a year now and everything seemed okay. But recently I received a slap in the face by Auto Owners serving their own self interest. I have a fleet of 5 vehicles with 4 drivers on the policy. I recently had one of the drivers removed from the list as they drive their own vehicle 100% of the time anyhow. In effect you would think that the premium would go down with 25% of the potential risk being extracted from the list. Three drivers over five vehicles. Instead the money magic wizards at Auto Owners decided to increase my premium by almost $200 on the last payment. They said that sense a preferred driver was removed I must pay more. However, all the drivers where on the plan before and it cost me less?

It makes no sense. I reduce the risk and pay more? Needless to say my agent was of no help "whatsoever". I discussed this with another agent. And he stated that many agencies look at shifts as opportunities to bilk an increase rates regardless of the change. It is up to the agent to properly protect you, but often they won't if they can get away with it. Needless to say I have this company for my business and fleet which is a substantial amount of money flying their way for a business customer that has never filed a claim in 5 years on any of their insurance.

Auto Owners Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Auto Owners Insurance is a regional insurance company that offers life, home, auto and business insurance to individual customers and corporations. They focus on providing local, in-person availability that creates a personal relationship with their customers.

• Independent Agency: Auto Owners is an independent agency that customizes quotes from a large network of providers to find the best choice for the individual customer.

• Reputation: Auto Owners is a multi-award-winning company that consistently receives the highest rankings for growth, stability and service.

• Stability: The company has spent 12 years on the Fortune 500 list. They remain one of the top national insurers in their respective divisions year after year.

• Customer Service: Customer service has been decentralized in a unique approach that focuses on creating more outlets where clients can interact with local representatives in person.

• Community Focused: With nearby offices, the company allows customers to keep their business local while being close enough to an office to visit in person for any related needs or questions.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky