2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Auto-Owners Insurance

Auto-Owners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.37/5

Auto-Owners Insurance works with independent agents to sell vehicle coverage policies, as well as home, life and business insurance. The company operates in 26 states, and it provides some discounted coverage and perks for its policyholders. It offers limited online support.

BOTTOM LINE

Auto-Owners Insurance provides car, home, life and business insurance to individuals in 26 states. Some customers may be eligible for discounts, though the company offers fewer perks than many major insurers do.

PROS
  • Ideal for students
  • Discounts available
  • Multiple types of insurance
CONS
  • Limited online support
  • Available only in 26 states

Top Auto-Owners Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Very people oriented staff. Understanding, compassionate. Great customer service. Claims department acts immediately to file claim, home visit if necessary and compensation is done very quickly. Customers take priority with them.

My insurance company is very easy to deal with. When I had an issue they were quick to come out and review the damage, set me up with a rental car and gave me a list of shops near me that they would freelance the work out to. So easy.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Auto-Owners Insurance?

Auto-Owners Insurance is a long-standing company that provides auto, home, life and business insurance in 26 states. It offers student discounts, including price cuts for students with good grades, college students who don’t drive to school and teens who install GPS monitors. The company offers some perks, such as roadside assistance and rental car coverage. All Auto-Owners sales and support come from local agents.

How does Auto-Owners Insurance work?

Auto-Owners Insurance uses a traditional model: Iindependent local agents sell policies and provide customer service. You can pay bills online, but agents handle all other services — so if you need to file a claim, your agent should be familiar with the specifics of your policy. This system also ensures you maintain one point of contact rather than dealing with a different customer service agent each time you call.

Auto-Owners Insurance quotes and costs

Auto-Owners Insurance doesn’t disclose its pricing information. Its local agents can provide quotes based on your information; many factors influence the cost of car insurance, including the make, model and year of the car and the driver’s age, driving record and claims history. The company offers discounts to some students and to customers who purchase multiple policies, pay their balances in full or pay online.

Auto-Owners Insurance FAQ

Where is Auto-Owners available?
Auto-Owners writes in 26 states: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin.
Is Auto-Owners a mutual company?
Auto-Owners is a mutual insurance company.
Does Auto-Owners Insurance have a grace period?
No, Auto-Owners insurance doesn’t offer a standard grace period. If you’re concerned about a lapse in coverage, you can ask about changing the due date or setting up a payment plan or extension.

Is Auto-Owners a good insurance company?

Auto-Owners is a solid auto insurance option for drivers in the 26 states it serves. Because all its sales and services are handled by local agents, you can expect to receive consistent service and personalized attention. If you prefer a local insurance agent, you might want to check out Auto-Owners. The drawback: Online services are limited, though you can pay online.

Auto-Owners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto-Owners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

We have not had any experience in regard to an accident with this auto insurance carrier. However, it was rated really well and recommended by our insurance consultant. Rates were good, so we switched.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Even though I am an old lady, and was told by many friends that my car insurance would double once I reached a "certain" age, that has not happened. Of course I am grateful that I have not received any tickets, or have had any accidents in the last 10 years or so, so I cannot say how great this company would be if I did have a claim. However, based on the fact, as I mentioned before, that I have aged and my rates have not increased, I would be happy to recommend this company for car insurance.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Regional Claims personnel Brook ** was very rude in dealing with my claim and when I called her out on her rudeness, she sent new an email back being even more rude. This was not my insurance company it was the person that hit me insurance. Hoping I never have to deal with her or this company again! Wow way to promote your company Brook! Think twice about having this company insure you!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

New pickup was hit by a deer. The truck should of been totaled. Repair cost were over $16,000. They did not replace all damaged panels and doors as requested by the body shop. They forced the body shop to repair a door. The agent lied to me about what the body shop requested and told me I would just have to live with it. Horrible company and insurance estimator. DO NOT do business with this company. There is a reason why they are lower cost and have tons of money in the bank. I am sick by having a new truck with a repaired door. The value of the truck has decreased significantly.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

In April, 2020 I bought a townhome in Charlotte, NC. I got my homeowner's insurance through Auto Owners Insurance. I purchase this insurance because the Association had the same insurance for the complex. Three months later I had a water stain on the kitchen ceiling and learned that the 2nd floor shower pan had failed. I was charged more than $8,000 just by the company that came in with fans to dry the place out. The bathroom repair will cost more than $20,000. The insurance company covered NOTHING! They said the policy does not cover leaks. What could we possibly need insurance for? Would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Very disappointing and rude service thus far after filing claim for electrical and storm damage in Tallapoosa GA area. The adjuster would not set up times to discuss claim. Had to keep calling and emailing. Very rude and condescending and kept stating he did not receive or understand damages submitted. Desperate attempts to intimidate a customer and in opinion because have been dealing with a female. Have to keep re sending information. In opinion use techniques to delay, underestimate, under value, and deny claims or have complete incompetence and total lack of customer service skills.

Unfortunately their local agent defended their behavior, disrespect, mistreatment, and lack of accountability to a long time customer and senior citizen in claim on the account. It is a disgrace that a business operates in such a manner. To date there is no resolution and no reimbursement. Fortunately, there was savings to cover what the insurance policy/contact should have. Buyer beware as what happens to people totally depending on their hard earned policy premiums paid for years to be in vain not to mention the disrespectful, rude, hateful, gaslighting behavior received. One would think we owed them money instead of auto owners owing us and honoring a contract.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Never made a claim with A-O but I consider their charges for coverage high. Checked with another carrier this year and their charges were similar. The local people at the agency are friendly and helpful. Never delt with anyone other than the people in the local office.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Grossly overpriced. These people take advantage of silly no fault laws are in Michigan and they should be regulated. I am shopping my Insurance now and will dump this company as soon as I can. Auto Owners sucks.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I shopped my insurance this year to see if I could save some money. I have a great independent agent and they came up with Auto Owners for home and cars. We had a series of hail storms in Northwest Arkansas in April and many homes were damaged. The hail was very large, and lots of it. It accumulated about 2 inches on our deck. As I saw roofs being repaired, I contacted our agent and said I wanted to get ours checked, she started a claim process that day. I asked a couple of the roof repair companies to look at my roof. I was told definitely there was damage. Auto Owners sent out their guy to assess our roof and he told me that he saw damage, but wasn’t sure if it would warrant a new roof and that I should get another company to come out and look at it. He recommended two companies that he would call that were good.

I called one of them and they came out and also found damage and told me”this should be replaced”. I forwarded the information to the insurance company and left messages for the guy that came out, but no response. I finally got a hold of someone and they looked at the file and it showed “no damage” but after hearing my story they decided to send out a “independent Contractor“ roofing engineer. He came out over a week ago and looked at my roof. I asked him what he found but he said “I would have to wait until he filed his report “. I still haven’t heard anything!

I’m not looking to get a free roof. I just get a little nervous when we are the only house on our side of the street that was able to avoid any hail damage. We are the third house on our street and the first two and the next four houses have all had their roofs checked, replaced and are done. It’s not worth saving a few bucks if the insurance you get doesn’t cover you. The old saying You get What pay for, seems very true in this case. Buyer Beware!

Auto-Owners Insurance Company Information