Find a Car Insurance partner

Auto-Owners Insurance

Auto-Owners Insurance

2.4/5 (128 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Auto-Owners Insurance

Auto-Owners Insurance works with independent agents to sell vehicle coverage policies, as well as home, life and business insurance. The company operates in 26 states, and it provides some discounted coverage and perks for its policyholders. It offers limited online support.

Pros

• Ideal for students
  • Discounts available
  • Multiple types of insurance

Cons

• Limited online support
  • Available only in 26 states

Bottom Line

Auto-Owners Insurance provides car, home, life and business insurance to individuals in 26 states. Some customers may be eligible for discounts, though the company offers fewer perks than many major insurers do.

Top Auto-Owners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Verified

Verified

My insurance company is very easy to deal with. When I had an issue they were quick to come out and review the damage, set me up with a rental car and gave me a list of shops near...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Auto-Owners Insurance?

Auto-Owners Insurance is a long-standing company that provides auto, home, life and business insurance in 26 states. It offers student discounts, including price cuts for students with good grades, college students who don’t drive to school and teens who install GPS monitors. The company offers some perks, such as roadside assistance and rental car coverage. All Auto-Owners sales and support come from local agents.

How does Auto-Owners Insurance work?

Auto-Owners Insurance uses a traditional model: Iindependent local agents sell policies and provide customer service. You can pay bills online, but agents handle all other services — so if you need to file a claim, your agent should be familiar with the specifics of your policy. This system also ensures you maintain one point of contact rather than dealing with a different customer service agent each time you call.

Auto-Owners Insurance quotes and costs

Auto-Owners Insurance doesn’t disclose its pricing information. Its local agents can provide quotes based on your information; many factors influence the cost of car insurance, including the make, model and year of the car and the driver’s age, driving record and claims history. The company offers discounts to some students and to customers who purchase multiple policies, pay their balances in full or pay online.

Auto-Owners Insurance FAQ

Where is Auto-Owners available?
Auto-Owners writes in 26 states: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin.
Is Auto-Owners a mutual company?
Auto-Owners is a mutual insurance company.
Does Auto-Owners Insurance have a grace period?
No, Auto-Owners insurance doesn’t offer a standard grace period. If you’re concerned about a lapse in coverage, you can ask about changing the due date or setting up a payment plan or extension.

Is Auto-Owners a good insurance company?

Auto-Owners is a solid auto insurance option for drivers in the 26 states it serves. Because all its sales and services are handled by local agents, you can expect to receive consistent service and personalized attention. If you prefer a local insurance agent, you might want to check out Auto-Owners. The drawback: Online services are limited, though you can pay online.

Auto-Owners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto-Owners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Regional Claims personnel Brook ** was very rude in dealing with my claim and when I called her out on her rudeness, she sent new an email back being even more rude. This was not my insurance company it was the person that hit me insurance. Hoping I never have to deal with her or this company again! Wow way to promote your company Brook! Think twice about having this company insure you!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

New pickup was hit by a deer. The truck should of been totaled. Repair cost were over $16,000. They did not replace all damaged panels and doors as requested by the body shop. They forced the body shop to repair a door. The agent lied to me about what the body shop requested and told me I would just have to live with it. Horrible company and insurance estimator. DO NOT do business with this company. There is a reason why they are lower cost and have tons of money in the bank. I am sick by having a new truck with a repaired door. The value of the truck has decreased significantly.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

In April, 2020 I bought a townhome in Charlotte, NC. I got my homeowner's insurance through Auto Owners Insurance. I purchase this insurance because the Association had the same insurance for the complex. Three months later I had a water stain on the kitchen ceiling and learned that the 2nd floor shower pan had failed. I was charged more than $8,000 just by the company that came in with fans to dry the place out. The bathroom repair will cost more than $20,000. The insurance company covered NOTHING! They said the policy does not cover leaks. What could we possibly need insurance for? Would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

We have not had any experience in regard to an accident with this auto insurance carrier. However, it was rated really well and recommended by our insurance consultant. Rates were good, so we switched.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Even though I am an old lady, and was told by many friends that my car insurance would double once I reached a "certain" age, that has not happened. Of course I am grateful that I have not received any tickets, or have had any accidents in the last 10 years or so, so I cannot say how great this company would be if I did have a claim. However, based on the fact, as I mentioned before, that I have aged and my rates have not increased, I would be happy to recommend this company for car insurance.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Never made a claim with A-O but I consider their charges for coverage high. Checked with another carrier this year and their charges were similar. The local people at the agency are friendly and helpful. Never delt with anyone other than the people in the local office.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Very people oriented staff. Understanding, compassionate. Great customer service. Claims department acts immediately to file claim, home visit if necessary and compensation is done very quickly. Customers take priority with them.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Grossly overpriced. These people take advantage of silly no fault laws are in Michigan and they should be regulated. I am shopping my Insurance now and will dump this company as soon as I can. Auto Owners sucks.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I have a right front accident May of 2020 with a tracker which has push the left front wheel against the curb. It had a load humming sound. Took it to the auto dealer for repairs and was told my front wheel bearings were damaged. Auto-Owner Ins. paid for the the damage but they claim that wheel's bearings is not considered as damage is not related to the accident. It cost me to replace the damage front wheel bearings. It has only 18000 miles and they telling me the damage is not related to the accident???

Original review: April 14, 2020

Their adjusters are programmed to ignore claims for many weeks until the customer gets tired of waiting and deny just about everything in the claim normally covered in the policy. I wouldn't wish this company to anyone. We had our insurance for two cars as well as homeowners insurance with them for many years. I feel it was a total waste of premium for nothing. The adjuster Bradly ** didn't get back to me weeks at a time after the claim was submitted and at the end denied everything after telling me that get everything done out of my pocket to be reimbursed when the claim is approved. Save yourself the hassle when you most needed, stay away from Home Owners Insurance Company for Homeowners or Auto Insurance Policies. They are crooks to get your money only, they don't believe in paying claims.

Auto-Owners Insurance Company Information