Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.41/5

Auto Owners Insurance works with independent agents to sell several types of insurance, including auto insurance. These independent agents aren't part of the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, so Auto Owners Insurance isn't a verified partner. To find a verified partner insurance company, contact InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

By innovating, Auto Owners Insurance has cut costs while still providing competitive coverage for automobiles and other major assets. Locally-focused agents respond to claims instead of national chains. Positive reviewers appreciate the flexibility brought on by the company’s growth.

PROS

• Has been a Forbes 500 company for more than a decade
  • Local agents and offices with independent businesses.
  • Offers several types of insurance
  • Bundle options available

CONS

• Claims processing times can vary
  • Rates may not be as competitive as other firms

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Auto Owners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I have only had to claim the use of my roadside coverage, thank God. That service has been wonderful all the way around from my call to the end result with professional and prompt service. I have recommended this company to others.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have many types of policies with them, from auto, home, umbrella, commercial auto, and investment property. I think that I get a good value for the price that I pay. However, I heard that they really chose their customers.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

While I've never had to turn in any major claims I will say that any time I've had a windshield stone chip or glass replacement there have been no problems with coverage or assistance from Auto Owners. Message I've left have always been answered promptly and they keep their word.

Original review: July 25, 2019

There are so many negative reviews on here, but all are instances where the customers are mostly in the wrong. If you compare Auto Owners to other companies on the market, they are among the best. There are negative things to say about every company, but mostly cause customers put themselves in those hard spots for insurance companies to deny claims. I have had Auto Owners for years and never had any trouble out of them. Claims have been paid out appropriately. Roadside has worked great. And my INDEPENDENT agent has always provided great customer service to me and my family.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I was recently rear ended in a car accident but still needed to go through my insurance. Once I filed my claim - I got a call back the same day. Rental car was set up immediately. The adjuster got out to assess quickly and repairs are started. Everyone that I worked with through this process was very helpful. Thank You!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

This review is coming from someone who isn't insured by Auto Owners, but had to file a claim after an accident. Back on 12/29/2019, I had been backed into while looking for parking at a local mall by someone who was already in a spot. This person was insured by Auto Owners. The moment I saw the name, I had a gut feeling that I was going to get screwed over by them somehow. The claims process goes through rather easily and I manage to get my car into the shop with their estimate on 1/15/2020. As of writing this review, I've been actively contacting them to try and get the rental (which they said they'd handle) and my claim's agent has been avoiding my calls. I've left at least 4 voicemails by this point and no call backs whatsoever. Based on the other reviews I've seen, for the sake of both yourself and for those who you may end up trading paint with, do not use this company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Auto-Owners has by far been the WORST insurance company I have every had. Bad doesn’t even begin to explain them. We switched providers in 2018 due to our previous provider increasing rates. Our local insurance broker gave us quotes and Auto-Owners was significantly cheaper for an auto and home policy. We were initially concerned with the low price and the coverage/service we would get. Our broker assured us they were good so we trusted them and made the switch. Let me say, we quickly realized you pay for what you get and our broker was very wrong about Auto-Owners.

Shortly after signing up we got a notice from Auto-Owners saying our home policy would be canceled for non-payment. We have a mortgage and our insurance payments are handled by the. Never had this been an issue in the past. When I called our mortgage company they said they had never received anything from Auto-Owners. I called Auto-Owners and they said they sent it. Again, never has our mortgage not received a document or payment request for us from any of our previous providers. This was our first red flag but I chose to keep them and thought that maybe it was just a mistake. The problems started spiraling from that point. Unfortunately we had 2 claims with Auto-Owners in less than a year due to no fault of our own. One claim was a tornado and the other was a vehicle accident where someone ran a light and hit me.

The tornado happened first. I was initially quite impressed with the thoroughness and the quickness of filing the home owners claim. We had the claim filed, a rep assigned and an adjuster our all within 5 days. It was quick. Our rep for Auto-Owners seemed like she was going to be awesome until there was a discrepancy in the amount they were paying for damage. The moment I told her I wasn’t agreeing to the amount is the moment her switch flipped.

From that point on she was extremely combative, she lied, she had us get different appraisals out just to then tell us that what was being appraised wasn’t in our policy Why even waste our time or the specialist time for something that wasn’t in our policy? Just do your job and tell us that from the beginning! She was so awful that our local broker got involved and they were shocked by her customer service and attitude. Our broker told us that was completely out of character for Auto-Owners and that we were working with the catastrophic dept, which they rarely work with and we hopefully wouldn’t have to work with again.

Never did a manager or anyone higher up from Auto-Owners call me despite this being escalated to leadership. It was clear that customer service in this dept wasn’t a priority. At renewal our auto policy jumped up quite a bit (seemed higher than usual increases). Then in December I was in the vehicle accident. I wasn’t at fault but was legally advised to file with my insurance company and let them do the fighting with the at fault party. I followed this advise. Again, filing the claim and the quickness of having an adjuster out was impressive. Like the last claim, after that it went down hill... again!

We were satisfied with the total loss amount they were giving us so we accepted the offer. We owned our car so followed the instructions given by the Auto-Owners rep to send our title to them. I was assured a check would be cut the same day they received the title. They also took our rental car away 3 days after giving us our offer total (this was Christmas week). We had to go purchase a new vehicle on Christmas Eve and we’re out a significant amount of money until we got our check. A couple weeks went by and still no check (I gave it extra time for the holidays before following up). When I called I was advised that they never received the tittle. I later found out that our Auto-Owners had given me the WRONG zip to mail our title! He gave me the zip to his physical office not the zip to the PO Box where the title is mailed. HOW DOES THIS EVEN HAPPEN?! Now our title is lost in the mail!

I called his manager and our broker again escalated it. Like the last claim, no one in leadership has contacted me to apologize or offer any assistance. It is evident that customer service is not a priority in the least bit for this company. Another point to note with Auto-Owners policies is what they don’t cover in the actual vehicle. They cover $200 total for everything in your vehicle- EVERYTHING! We had 2 Britax car seats that couldn’t be used again and only $200 was covered for those- we were Automatically out over $500 just for those. Thankfully the at fault policy covers much more than Auto-Owners and is reimbursing us for the car seats (minus the whopping $200 Auto-Owners gives).

Lastly with this claim, I was told my Auto-Owners would be filing with the at-fault insurance provider. That was never done. I had to file with them which ended up being 2 weeks late because Auto-Owners failed to do their job and what they advised me they would do. At this point (over a month later). 1. We still haven’t received payment for our total loss vehicle so we are out a substantial amount of money since we had no choice but to purchase a new vehicle. 2. We still have not received payment for the car seats from Auto-Owners despite the receipts being sent over a month ago. We have received the difference in car seats from the at fault insurance company (Erie insurance) even though that claim was filed over 2 weeks after the Auto-Owners claim. 3. We had to pay for a duplicate title now we’re just waiting for that. 4. Still no one from leadership had called me or even acknowledged this significant rep error.

Please STAY AWAY from Auto-Owners. They are awful. Sure they are cheaper but I assure you there is a reason why! You definitely pay for what you get. There is zero customer service and support when you file a claim and you’ll be lucky to even receive payment in any sort of timely manner. We will gladly be paying more for new more reputable providers from this point on.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Had these clowns for insurance for years with NO claims!!! Paid them nearly $100,000 over the years... all profit for them. This year they renewed the insurance, accepted payment of premium IN FULL, then cancelled the same day with no explanation besides...."not within our portfolio appetite at this time." We had to start the process over cold with 24-hours to find and bind insurance. Then, they failed to refund our several thousands of dollars meaning we had to cover twice the money and file chargeback with CC company. We have put Auto Owners on our prohibited vendor list. The agent (CAPINSURE) is not much better... starting not my fault. But is it your responsibility? Our fault? We will go elsewhere, thanks!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Beware.... A tree branch fell on my son's car that was parked in our driveway. John ** of Auto-Insurance stated "they had not received prior notice that the tree branch was dead and therefore deny our claim." An arborist came and observed the tree, said it was alive. How am I supposed to tell them ahead of time that a tree branch was going to break off and fall on my son's car? I am worried that I need to inform them now that I might get in a car accident, before I actually do.... just to make sure they know upfront that it might happen. WHAT A JOKE? Go elsewhere, it will be worth the extra money. Sincerely, Chad **

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I had an accident and totaled my car. I drove 45 minutes to give them the title and they said I could pick up the check at the same time. Needless to say I needed the money to buy another car. The next day I took it to my bank and they said there would be a 7 day hold so I went to Bank of America which is the bank it is drawn on. Hoping to cash it so I could deposit cash ins it would be available. Well I was informed by Bank of America there was a note not to cash it. After a couple of hours of my agent yelling at them they said it would be fine the next day. Well same story the next day.

So needless to say they have my title but I don't have my money. So late this afternoon they did an electronic transfer to my checking and it said 1 to 2 business days. I am not holding my breath. My next step is to get an attorney. I am fed up playing their games. I think they thought since they are dealing with an elderly person they could screw around. Well they picked the wrong person to mess with..

Not sure about Auto Owners Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Auto Owners Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Auto Owners Insurance is a regional insurance company that offers life, home, auto and business insurance to individual customers and corporations. They focus on providing local, in-person availability that creates a personal relationship with their customers.

• Independent Agency: Auto Owners is an independent agency that customizes quotes from a large network of providers to find the best choice for the individual customer.

• Reputation: Auto Owners is a multi-award-winning company that consistently receives the highest rankings for growth, stability and service.

• Stability: The company has spent 12 years on the Fortune 500 list. They remain one of the top national insurers in their respective divisions year after year.

• Customer Service: Customer service has been decentralized in a unique approach that focuses on creating more outlets where clients can interact with local representatives in person.

• Community Focused: With nearby offices, the company allows customers to keep their business local while being close enough to an office to visit in person for any related needs or questions.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor