2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.94/5

Auto Owners Insurance works with independent agents to sell several types of insurance, including auto insurance. These independent agents aren't part of the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, so Auto Owners Insurance isn't a verified partner. To find a verified partner insurance company, contact InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

By innovating, Auto Owners Insurance has cut costs while still providing competitive coverage for automobiles and other major assets. Locally-focused agents respond to claims instead of national chains. Positive reviewers appreciate the flexibility brought on by the company’s growth.

PROS

• Has been a Forbes 500 company for more than a decade
  • Local agents and offices with independent businesses.
  • Offers several types of insurance
  • Bundle options available

CONS

• Claims processing times can vary
  • Rates may not be as competitive as other firms

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Auto Owners Insurance Reviews

Original review: April 11, 2020

I have used them for home, auto, boat, camper for at least 20 years. Had a few claims, that were handled fairly, no big premium increases as a result. I know I am not paying for over the top TV, radio, airplane banner, magazine advertising. If you don't like your agent, find another one. The agent does not pay the claims, but should at least be responsive and polite.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I felt compelled to write a review as I noticed their fairly low rating on here. This is obviously due to people not understanding their coverage. We were victims of a nasty hail storm where we lost 18 windows, 3 sides of siding, and the entire roof. Auto Owners was extremely easy to work with and did not fight our contractor's invoice whatsoever. At the same time our neighbors (with similar home values) were offered HALF of what Auto Owners offered. Half is a big number when most of the exterior of the house needed to be replaced. Pay a few extra bucks and let Auto Owners insure everything that is important to you!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I have only had to claim the use of my roadside coverage, thank God. That service has been wonderful all the way around from my call to the end result with professional and prompt service. I have recommended this company to others.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

While I've never had to turn in any major claims I will say that any time I've had a windshield stone chip or glass replacement there have been no problems with coverage or assistance from Auto Owners. Message I've left have always been answered promptly and they keep their word.

Original review: July 25, 2019

There are so many negative reviews on here, but all are instances where the customers are mostly in the wrong. If you compare Auto Owners to other companies on the market, they are among the best. There are negative things to say about every company, but mostly cause customers put themselves in those hard spots for insurance companies to deny claims. I have had Auto Owners for years and never had any trouble out of them. Claims have been paid out appropriately. Roadside has worked great. And my INDEPENDENT agent has always provided great customer service to me and my family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Original review: April 21, 2020

Terrible company to work with. I'm told from our agent that at one time they were decent, but has changed over the last few years. Take a look at other reviews (after 2016) and you'll see. This company will take ANY opportunity to deny a homeowner claim, and especially anything to do with water damage. We had a water heater go out after only 6 years, but because the wood underneath its platform was darkened (presumably from a previous owners water heaters mishap), Auto Owners decided the damaged must have been on-going and denied the claim.

First off - it was only the surface of the wood platform, and all of the supporting structure and studs were obvious virgin wood, with no damage, mold, dry rot, or anything. Wood looked practically brand new. When I pointed this out to the 20 year old adjuster she didn't care (and even had the in-depth contractors knowledge to explain to me how if dry wall is damped and allow to dry out, it becomes stronger). But, because the wood directly underneath the heater was discolored, the claim was denied.

2nd off - the hot water is located right next to the garage door - we have to look at it every day, and noticed the leak the morning after it started - no long term damage occurring here. We even had the adjuster (who arrived 5 days later, btw) indicate before even looking at the damage that they would most likely be denying or reducing the claim.

We've been relatively ok with the auto insurance, but am not so sure that if a claim is ever filed these guys will actually honor the claim. Well We've been donating to the Auto Owners Insurance charity for years now, but we'll be switching companies as soon as freaking possible! Stay away if you want to purchase a policy for security rather than just making a donation to this company!!!

Original review: April 14, 2020

Their adjusters are programmed to ignore claims for many weeks until the customer gets tired of waiting and deny just about everything in the claim normally covered in the policy. I wouldn't wish this company to anyone. We had our insurance for two cars as well as homeowners insurance with them for many years. I feel it was a total waste of premium for nothing. The adjuster Bradly ** didn't get back to me weeks at a time after the claim was submitted and at the end denied everything after telling me that get everything done out of my pocket to be reimbursed when the claim is approved. Save yourself the hassle when you most needed, stay away from Home Owners Insurance Company for Homeowners or Auto Insurance Policies. They are crooks to get your money only, they don't believe in paying claims.

Original review: April 9, 2020

I'm a customer of over 30 years and used to only have positive comments on this company. I notice other good USAA reviews don't appear to be reviewing auto injuries/medpay experiences. Yes, they pay car damage and the banking services I've had no issues with. However, this company farms out injury claims to "Auto Injury Solutions" who aggressively attempt to shut down claims. I had $50,000 in medpay and had to exhaustively fight for less than $10,000. They lost my business so they could save $2,000 which I paid out of pocket.

They also are on the vanguard in initiating state legislation to limit their medpay coverage to a year after the date of the accident. Woe be to someone with a serious ongoing injury from a car accident in Colorado for instance. They don't let customers know this; it's embedded on page 40 of my coverage. They explain that "we just pay for acute care and the customer can just use their private insurance after a year". We know acute injury can last well past a year. They used to be one of the best and now have plummeted in ratings from ten years ago. Unethical in regard to paying medpay. I am leaving the company.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

Created a claim for an accident and later was informed my car was a total loss. Agent was extremely rude entire time. Was offered half of what it would take to replace my car and told “not my job to find what your car is worth”. Horrible attitude from several employees I spoke to.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I'm going to be as brief as possible, I have a commercial truck policy. I have been with this insurance group for over 5 years. I have paid my policy on time, and have never had a accident until 7 months ago. Which was a fender bender. No major damage, no hospital visits, NOTHING! This group, brought my policy up 2,500.00 dollars, not to mention, also paying out 8500.00 dollars to the person hit, who was obviously looking to scam them. He himself was hit by a dump truck where his vehicle was totaled and car was totaled, 2 weeks prior, and I believe they failed to investigate that.

They put my policy in another tier, they lessened my coverage rate, and altered my amenities. They pretty much didn't give a **, about me, and the 5 years of solid consistency I'm thrown in a tail spin. Where is the protection? Where is the benefit? I could see if I was a holder of the policy for 1 year but 5 years and you have the audacity to say thank you for being a policy holder of 5 years.. I've been robbed.. And I failed to do research on the reviews of this company, I'm PISSED!

Auto Owners Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company is an independent agency that customizes quotes from a large network of providers to find the best choice for the individual customer. The company has 35,000 independent agents and coverage in 26 states. Its financial strength rating from AM Best is A++.

• Coverage and plans: In addition to common coverage required by state governments, Auto-Owners has options for gap coverage, rental car coverage, loss of use coverage, common loss deductibles and diminished value coverage.

• Cost: Auto-Owners costs trend lower, especially for younger drivers. A 21-year old single male can expect to pay about $1,100 a year for auto insurance.

• Discounts: Auto-Owners has discounts for bundling, multivehicle policies, low number of claims, good students, paperless billing, upfront payments and timely payments.

• Standout feature: Auto-Owners’ Personal Automobile Plus package provides a range of perks, including coverage for missing keys, cell phone insurance and identity theft coverage.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor