Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
2.45/5

Auto Owners Insurance

Auto Owners Insurance works with independent agents to sell several types of insurance, including auto insurance. These independent agents aren't part of the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, so Auto Owners Insurance isn't a verified partner. To find a verified partner insurance company, contact InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

By innovating, Auto Owners Insurance has cut costs while still providing competitive coverage for automobiles and other major assets. Locally-focused agents respond to claims instead of national chains. Positive reviewers appreciate the flexibility brought on by the company’s growth.

PROS

• Has been a Forbes 500 company for more than a decade
  • Local agents and offices with independent businesses.
  • Offers several types of insurance
  • Bundle options available

CONS

• Claims processing times can vary
  • Rates may not be as competitive as other firms

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Auto Owners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I have only had to claim the use of my roadside coverage, thank God. That service has been wonderful all the way around from my call to the end result with professional and prompt service. I have recommended this company to others.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have many types of policies with them, from auto, home, umbrella, commercial auto, and investment property. I think that I get a good value for the price that I pay. However, I heard that they really chose their customers.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

While I've never had to turn in any major claims I will say that any time I've had a windshield stone chip or glass replacement there have been no problems with coverage or assistance from Auto Owners. Message I've left have always been answered promptly and they keep their word.

Original review: July 25, 2019

There are so many negative reviews on here, but all are instances where the customers are mostly in the wrong. If you compare Auto Owners to other companies on the market, they are among the best. There are negative things to say about every company, but mostly cause customers put themselves in those hard spots for insurance companies to deny claims. I have had Auto Owners for years and never had any trouble out of them. Claims have been paid out appropriately. Roadside has worked great. And my INDEPENDENT agent has always provided great customer service to me and my family.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I was recently rear ended in a car accident but still needed to go through my insurance. Once I filed my claim - I got a call back the same day. Rental car was set up immediately. The adjuster got out to assess quickly and repairs are started. Everyone that I worked with through this process was very helpful. Thank You!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Beware.... A tree branch fell on my son's car that was parked in our driveway. John ** of Auto-Insurance stated "they had not received prior notice that the tree branch was dead and therefore deny our claim." An arborist came and observed the tree, said it was alive. How am I supposed to tell them ahead of time that a tree branch was going to break off and fall on my son's car? I am worried that I need to inform them now that I might get in a car accident, before I actually do.... just to make sure they know upfront that it might happen. WHAT A JOKE? Go elsewhere, it will be worth the extra money. Sincerely, Chad **

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I had an accident and totaled my car. I drove 45 minutes to give them the title and they said I could pick up the check at the same time. Needless to say I needed the money to buy another car. The next day I took it to my bank and they said there would be a 7 day hold so I went to Bank of America which is the bank it is drawn on. Hoping to cash it so I could deposit cash ins it would be available. Well I was informed by Bank of America there was a note not to cash it. After a couple of hours of my agent yelling at them they said it would be fine the next day. Well same story the next day.

So needless to say they have my title but I don't have my money. So late this afternoon they did an electronic transfer to my checking and it said 1 to 2 business days. I am not holding my breath. My next step is to get an attorney. I am fed up playing their games. I think they thought since they are dealing with an elderly person they could screw around. Well they picked the wrong person to mess with..

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I can't understand who would give this company a 4 or 5 star, must be employees or agents that work for Auto Owners. My son was t-boned by someone who is insured with Auto Owners 3 months ago and the company still has not paid for the repairs. I finally got fed up with their delay tactics and turned it over to my ins. co. so we could get his car back on the road. I had to pay my deductible but was told by my ins. co. I would be reimbursed after they pay which could take 6 months or more!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Extremely frustrated and disappointed this morning. I called to schedule my car to be towed to my car service because I couldn't get my car to turn on this morning. The guy took my car to the wrong dealer, after I called them three times beforehand and told them he is making weird turns and I don't think he's taking the car to the right place. After the customer service representative rudely told me to not worry that the car is being taken to the correct service, I waited a few more minutes and my car was nowhere to be seen. I called them again, come to find out that he had indeed taken it to the wrong service and unloaded it. I then had to wait for him to load it back up and take it to the correct service. I wasted 2 hours this morning when the whole situation could have been resolved in half an hour had the driver just taken it to the right spot. Definitely won't be using this service again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

After paying Auto Owners for coverage on vehicles for 12 years, I had an accident that caused damage to the rear quarter panel, frame, and bumper. Our Auto Owners representative never answered his phone and was poor at getting back to us. In addition he did not want to pay for the full repair of a very new Chevy Tahoe. Our body damage shop gave us a fair estimate of damage initially, which was paid. However when further damage was discovered, the body damage appraiser for Auto Owners refused to write a supplement to finish the repairs. This caused me to be without a vehicle for six weeks due to their stonewalling. We also incurred a large amount to rent a car for the two weeks was out of town and a truck to tow our boat to the Keys. Anyone who reads this should NOT use Auto Owners insurance for coverage. They are great at taking your premiums but not good at all at covering your claims!

Auto Owners Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Auto Owners Insurance is a regional insurance company that offers life, home, auto and business insurance to individual customers and corporations. They focus on providing local, in-person availability that creates a personal relationship with their customers.

• Independent Agency: Auto Owners is an independent agency that customizes quotes from a large network of providers to find the best choice for the individual customer.

• Reputation: Auto Owners is a multi-award-winning company that consistently receives the highest rankings for growth, stability and service.

• Stability: The company has spent 12 years on the Fortune 500 list. They remain one of the top national insurers in their respective divisions year after year.

• Customer Service: Customer service has been decentralized in a unique approach that focuses on creating more outlets where clients can interact with local representatives in person.

• Community Focused: With nearby offices, the company allows customers to keep their business local while being close enough to an office to visit in person for any related needs or questions.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky