2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.39/5

Auto-Owners Insurance works with independent agents to sell vehicle coverage policies, as well as home, life and business insurance. The company operates in 26 states, and it provides some discounted coverage and perks for its policyholders. It offers limited online support.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Auto Owners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

We have not had any experience in regard to an accident with this auto insurance carrier. However, it was rated really well and recommended by our insurance consultant. Rates were good, so we switched.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Even though I am an old lady, and was told by many friends that my car insurance would double once I reached a "certain" age, that has not happened. Of course I am grateful that I have not received any tickets, or have had any accidents in the last 10 years or so, so I cannot say how great this company would be if I did have a claim. However, based on the fact, as I mentioned before, that I have aged and my rates have not increased, I would be happy to recommend this company for car insurance.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Very people oriented staff. Understanding, compassionate. Great customer service. Claims department acts immediately to file claim, home visit if necessary and compensation is done very quickly. Customers take priority with them.

Original review: April 11, 2020

I have used them for home, auto, boat, camper for at least 20 years. Had a few claims, that were handled fairly, no big premium increases as a result. I know I am not paying for over the top TV, radio, airplane banner, magazine advertising. If you don't like your agent, find another one. The agent does not pay the claims, but should at least be responsive and polite.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I felt compelled to write a review as I noticed their fairly low rating on here. This is obviously due to people not understanding their coverage. We were victims of a nasty hail storm where we lost 18 windows, 3 sides of siding, and the entire roof. Auto Owners was extremely easy to work with and did not fight our contractor's invoice whatsoever. At the same time our neighbors (with similar home values) were offered HALF of what Auto Owners offered. Half is a big number when most of the exterior of the house needed to be replaced. Pay a few extra bucks and let Auto Owners insure everything that is important to you!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

In April, 2020 I bought a townhome in Charlotte, NC. I got my homeowner's insurance through Auto Owners Insurance. I purchase this insurance because the Association had the same insurance for the complex. Three months later I had a water stain on the kitchen ceiling and learned that the 2nd floor shower pan had failed. I was charged more than $8,000 just by the company that came in with fans to dry the place out. The bathroom repair will cost more than $20,000. The insurance company covered NOTHING! They said the policy does not cover leaks. What could we possibly need insurance for? Would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Very disappointing and rude service thus far after filing claim for electrical and storm damage in Tallapoosa GA area. The adjuster would not set up times to discuss claim. Had to keep calling and emailing. Very rude and condescending and kept stating he did not receive or understand damages submitted. Desperate attempts to intimidate a customer and in opinion because have been dealing with a female. Have to keep re sending information. In opinion use techniques to delay, underestimate, under value, and deny claims or have complete incompetence and total lack of customer service skills.

Unfortunately their local agent defended their behavior, disrespect, mistreatment, and lack of accountability to a long time customer and senior citizen in claim on the account. It is a disgrace that a business operates in such a manner. To date there is no resolution and no reimbursement. Fortunately, there was savings to cover what the insurance policy/contact should have. Buyer beware as what happens to people totally depending on their hard earned policy premiums paid for years to be in vain not to mention the disrespectful, rude, hateful, gaslighting behavior received. One would think we owed them money instead of auto owners owing us and honoring a contract.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Never made a claim with A-O but I consider their charges for coverage high. Checked with another carrier this year and their charges were similar. The local people at the agency are friendly and helpful. Never delt with anyone other than the people in the local office.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Grossly overpriced. These people take advantage of silly no fault laws are in Michigan and they should be regulated. I am shopping my Insurance now and will dump this company as soon as I can. Auto Owners sucks.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I shopped my insurance this year to see if I could save some money. I have a great independent agent and they came up with Auto Owners for home and cars. We had a series of hail storms in Northwest Arkansas in April and many homes were damaged. The hail was very large, and lots of it. It accumulated about 2 inches on our deck. As I saw roofs being repaired, I contacted our agent and said I wanted to get ours checked, she started a claim process that day. I asked a couple of the roof repair companies to look at my roof. I was told definitely there was damage. Auto Owners sent out their guy to assess our roof and he told me that he saw damage, but wasn’t sure if it would warrant a new roof and that I should get another company to come out and look at it. He recommended two companies that he would call that were good.

I called one of them and they came out and also found damage and told me”this should be replaced”. I forwarded the information to the insurance company and left messages for the guy that came out, but no response. I finally got a hold of someone and they looked at the file and it showed “no damage” but after hearing my story they decided to send out a “independent Contractor“ roofing engineer. He came out over a week ago and looked at my roof. I asked him what he found but he said “I would have to wait until he filed his report “. I still haven’t heard anything!

I’m not looking to get a free roof. I just get a little nervous when we are the only house on our side of the street that was able to avoid any hail damage. We are the third house on our street and the first two and the next four houses have all had their roofs checked, replaced and are done. It’s not worth saving a few bucks if the insurance you get doesn’t cover you. The old saying You get What pay for, seems very true in this case. Buyer Beware!

Auto Owners Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company is an independent agency that customizes quotes from a large network of providers to find the best choice for the individual customer. The company has 35,000 independent agents and coverage in 26 states. Its financial strength rating from AM Best is A++.

• Coverage and plans: In addition to common coverage required by state governments, Auto-Owners has options for gap coverage, rental car coverage, loss of use coverage, common loss deductibles and diminished value coverage.

• Cost: Auto-Owners costs trend lower, especially for younger drivers. A 21-year old single male can expect to pay about $1,100 a year for auto insurance.

• Discounts: Auto-Owners has discounts for bundling, multivehicle policies, low number of claims, good students, paperless billing, upfront payments and timely payments.

• Standout feature: Auto-Owners’ Personal Automobile Plus package provides a range of perks, including coverage for missing keys, cell phone insurance and identity theft coverage.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor