Auto Owners Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

This is in regards to an accident that happened Dec. 15 and still has not been settled. Westbound I enter the right turn lane going into Sullivan with my turn signals on. Anyone knowing this area knows it is a right turn lane only. Waiting on traffic to clear I look in my rearview mirror to see a car approaching 17 yr old insured with Auto Owners. She wanted to just leave the accident but finally called her mom. Police were called and she said she thought I was turning left. I get a report saying she is not at fault. I called the claims woman and asked if she knows how to read because my police report says she is at fault improper passing on the right. I think they all know she was trying to beat traffic. When I called to check on my claim they had her involved in another accident with a? Yes my insurance will pay but can't stand for this scum bag insurance company to win again. Filing in small claims court.

Strongly advise against Auto Owners Insurance Company. When it comes time to make a claim their adjuster will work against you. The insurance agent (ours happens to be Fethke Insurance Agency in Muskegon) is apparently of no help despite how wrong the adjuster may be. It's bad enough when two 86 year old, handicapped people have to leave their house for three weeks because of water damage and the adjuster is fighting on paying for out-of-the-house stay, electrical work.

Trust me, it is not worth buying any insurance from Auto Owners or anybody else if they are using Casey ** as their adjuster. He seems to be quite biased and wants his own contractors to quote on things but they won't do it unless you pay them. Almost sounds illegal to me. This is very frustrating! Had no previous insurance claims on this company and the first one is a nightmare. Avoid the nightmare. Do not buy Auto Owners insurance or anybody else that uses Casey ** as an adjuster. You will regret it!

I was rear ended and fighting for the other insurance to claim liability. Auto Owners was going to repair my truck and file an arbitration with the other insurance company. It has been a nightmare starting from the adjuster providing an incomplete quote and trying to deny some of the damage as if it didn't happen from the accident when in fact it absolutely did. Then a denial letter from Auto Owners with a list of false statements and inaccurate facts that can be visually proven. I always thought that I was supposed to have my vehicle repaired to the same condition as was before the accident. These guys are great if you don't have to use them. Get a real insurance company!!!

Good for those of you that have never had a claim with this insurance company. It is difficult to judge unless you have had a loss such as a tornado. My husband and I have been through hell for 3 and a half years with this company for a total loss. They turned the claim over to their attorney because they did not want to pay the limit of the insurance which we were entitled to. We had to hire an attorney. We are senior citizens and should not have to go through a nightmare to have them honor the policy. I would be sure to look at your policy in detail if you do have a claim. The agent was absolutely worthless.

They will not honor the policy I promise. One person had to have their home condemned before they would deal in good faith. A little late to call it good faith. I would never recommend this company!! Dealing with them has been worse than the tornado itself. Why should anyone go through this with an insurance company to replace a home after losing everything. The person that had his home condemned had a good agent but it was the company itself that refused to acknowledge the extent of the damage. Please take my warning seriously. Auto Owners the problem people!!!

I was not at fault in an accident and the company paid out $523.00. Customer service is top-notch. Also, the premium is decent. I shop each year and am unable to beat their rates.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Auto Owners was recommended to me by an agent because it was the lowest price for general liability. I have never had a claim (thank goodness), but my dissatisfaction started when my bank sent a new chip card to me in August 2016 that impacted my auto-payment with Auto Owners. No communication, no support - just automated cancellation and frustration following. They were quick to accept my past due payment but reinstating turned out to be another series of non-communication and wondering if I was even covered.

I switched to a new carrier immediately and confirmed I was paid in full so I could move on. THEN - they apparently audited my policy and sent me another bill for $113 labeled as "Your insurance has been canceled with a Balance Due. Failure to pay the amount due will result in your account being sent to a collection agency." When I called to see what this was about they said that they audited my account and I should have paid them more when I was a customer for the period of time I was covered so now I owed that to them! WTF!!! I can't imagine the hell I would have had to go through if I ever needed to make a claim with this kind of a company. RUN AWAY!

My grandson had an accident (not his fault). We are insured by Auto Owners. His car was totaled. Within a little more than a week he received a check for the value of his vehicle before the accident. Although at first, the claims examiner offered a lower amount but I re-negotiated the amount to be more favorable. I do believe that only once I confronted my agent because I expected service which I felt I was being neglected. If I pay my agent the premium I expect them to go to bat for me with the company. I do not feel that I should have to deal directly with the company, otherwise, why have an agent.

My car was backed into by accident, the grill was broken and the hood was creased along the front seam. The woman that hit me was honest and admitted that she was at fault, she gave me her insurance information and I contacted Auto-Owners Insurance in Stuart Fl. I brought it to two different body shops to get estimates. Auto-Owners Insurance sent an appraiser to my house to do their estimate. They sent Metro Appraisal to look at the car. The appraiser from Metro Appraisal was very rude and wrote an estimate to Bondo the front of my car, (all of the other shops insisted that I needed a new hood because of where the dent was would always be noticed.) And insisted that if I wanted anything else done to my car that I would have to take the claim to my insurance company. Their estimate was half of what it would take to fix the car.

I felt intimidated by the entire process so I called the Florida Insurance Commission. I was told that I didn't have to go through my insurance company and could file for mediation with them. All I wanted was the damage to be covered the first time in full. Their newest estimate concedes that the hood needs to be replaced. They are willing to put a "used" hood on my BMW. I should be thanking them for doing what they should be doing... they only increased the estimate by $200 which includes buying a new/"used" hood... painting the inside and outside and mounting... I don't think so. I have been going back and forth with Auto Owners Insurance to get them to fix my car for months now. It's like pulling teeth with this company, even after they know that I contacted the Insurance Commission they drag their feet. I would never buy insurance from this company. I would avoid this company like the plague.

Auto Owners is average - nothing special. They have been prompt in paying claims but I have been frustrated with them. I had a vehicle hit and totalled by an uninsured driver. I called and asked if I made the claim would it count against me. I was told that it would NOT because it wasn't my fault. But months later after they were unable to collect any money from him, they raised my rates and will stay that way for 3 years.

I have been with them for about a year and, thank goodness, I have not had to use them. Their pricing is very good and I can pay with a credit card. Also have access to all I need online. Contact is easy if needed.

Terrific experience with claims. When a tree fell on my car at a resort, my agent called for an estimate in the city where it occurred, gave me permission to drive it home safely and was there the day I arrived home to provide his estimate. Payment came within a week.

Auto Owners Insurance is very affordable. I love that you have the option to pay your premiums every six months instead of monthly. They are very helpful with claims and work hard to get your check to you so you can get your vehicle fixed. They are VERY reliable.

I have bundled my homeowners insurance with my auto insurance and realized significant savings. I have multi-car discounts, education discounts, safe driver discounts, etc. My Auto insurance savings more than made up for increases in my homeowners insurance. Local agencies means personalized service.

We've been with them for over thirty years. They have been on top of everything that we have experienced when filing claims and adjusting our policy. They cover our private vehicles as well as our business vehicles and equipment. We are so pleased with their service that we also have our business insurance and home insurance with them.

They are fine enough. Just a bit pricey. But I have had no problems with them. I have looked at other companies, and they are a lot more, so I would probably stay with Auto Owners.

Treats me as a valued client, but doesn't advertise it and is there when I need them. No bragging, no hidden fees. Got stuck in the snow in an unfamiliar area, called them on the cellphone, and they called a tow truck to pull me out.

Auto Owners has one of the cheapest policies that I have found. When I filed an accident claim, they were fast and very helpful getting my vehicle repaired. Also they did not raise my rates.

They are the cheapest rate I could get for my area. The only problem I have had with them is with their automatic payments. I had accidentally missed a payment so they doubled what they were going to withdraw the next time. I paid it off in full before they withdrew it but still tried to take it out. The following month they tried to double the original double amount and I was furious. In the end they ended up fixing it and I paid enough to be able to skip a months payment.

I have never had to file a claim so not familiar with that aspect. But our agent has always been prompt to return calls, very knowledgeable and helpful. When we purchased a new vehicle on spur of the moment he was right there to help us. He has been our agent for years, we couldn't ask for better service. I would not change even if we found a less expensive insurance.

Quick claim service, helpful available agent, best price per coverage in Michigan period and I have compared many companies over the past few years. And that is it for me as far as this goes.

Their rates are competitive and they give a discount for multiple vehicles. They answer calls quickly and respond when I need something. You can update your info over the phone when you get a new car.

I love the prices because they are very competitive with other companies. They are very flexible with us if we are late with making a payment. Never have they not been there when we needed them.

I like my insurance company very much. I do not feel like just a number or payment but like someone they actually care about. My insurance company helps me to reduce my monthly cost by offering discounts for all different things. I never feel like I am bothering them when I call with a question about my policy. When I was in an accident a few years ago they were they with me every step of the way, even coming to my work to look at my vehicle and sign some papers. Even though I was not at fault I really thought that my insurance would go up, but it never did. I am very satisfied with my insurance.

The price is low and I pay by the month. I get a discount from them for having both car and home insurance with the company. I have never had any problems with them since I have been with the company. I would recommend them to anyone. I think I am getting the best price with the best coverage.

Auto Owners gave the best price. They are really easy to walk to and guide you in making the right decision. If you have a claim they pay really quick. Saved over $300 signing up with them. The rate increase each year is very little if any.

Auto Owners have been very good for us so far. We have never had a problem getting through when needed. They were the most affordable for us and we were able to also have them for auto and homeowners. That way it's all in one bill which we really like.

Have had great experience. Good company. I have had several claims throughout the years and they have always paid fairly and promptly. The adjusters have been very easy to work with. The service has always been very prompt.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Auto Owners Insurance is a regional insurance company that offers life, home, auto and business insurance to individual customers and corporations. They focus on providing local, in-person availability that creates a personal relationship with their customers.

• Independent Agency: Auto Owners is an independent agency that customizes quotes from a large network of providers to find the best choice for the individual customer.
  • Reputation: Auto Owners is a multi-award-winning company that consistently receives the highest rankings for growth, stability and service.
  • Stability: The company has spent 12 years on the Fortune 500 list. They remain one of the top national insurers in their respective divisions year after year.
  • Customer Service: Customer service has been decentralized in a unique approach that focuses on creating more outlets where clients can interact with local representatives in person.
  • Community Focused: With nearby offices, the company allows customers to keep their business local while being close enough to an office to visit in person for any related needs or questions.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Compare Auto Insurance