Auto Owners Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

My car was backed into by accident, the grill was broken and the hood was creased along the front seam. The woman that hit me was honest and admitted that she was at fault, she gave me her insurance information and I contacted Auto-Owners Insurance in Stuart Fl. I brought it to two different body shops to get estimates. Auto-Owners Insurance sent an appraiser to my house to do their estimate. They sent Metro Appraisal to look at the car. The appraiser from Metro Appraisal was very rude and wrote an estimate to Bondo the front of my car, (all of the other shops insisted that I needed a new hood because of where the dent was would always be noticed.) And insisted that if I wanted anything else done to my car that I would have to take the claim to my insurance company. Their estimate was half of what it would take to fix the car.

I felt intimidated by the entire process so I called the Florida Insurance Commission. I was told that I didn't have to go through my insurance company and could file for mediation with them. All I wanted was the damage to be covered the first time in full. Their newest estimate concedes that the hood needs to be replaced. They are willing to put a "used" hood on my BMW. I should be thanking them for doing what they should be doing... they only increased the estimate by $200 which includes buying a new/"used" hood... painting the inside and outside and mounting... I don't think so. I have been going back and forth with Auto Owners Insurance to get them to fix my car for months now. It's like pulling teeth with this company, even after they know that I contacted the Insurance Commission they drag their feet. I would never buy insurance from this company. I would avoid this company like the plague.

Auto Owners is average - nothing special. They have been prompt in paying claims but I have been frustrated with them. I had a vehicle hit and totalled by an uninsured driver. I called and asked if I made the claim would it count against me. I was told that it would NOT because it wasn't my fault. But months later after they were unable to collect any money from him, they raised my rates and will stay that way for 3 years.

I have been with them for about a year and, thank goodness, I have not had to use them. Their pricing is very good and I can pay with a credit card. Also have access to all I need online. Contact is easy if needed.

Terrific experience with claims. When a tree fell on my car at a resort, my agent called for an estimate in the city where it occurred, gave me permission to drive it home safely and was there the day I arrived home to provide his estimate. Payment came within a week.

Auto Owners Insurance is very affordable. I love that you have the option to pay your premiums every six months instead of monthly. They are very helpful with claims and work hard to get your check to you so you can get your vehicle fixed. They are VERY reliable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

I have bundled my homeowners insurance with my auto insurance and realized significant savings. I have multi-car discounts, education discounts, safe driver discounts, etc. My Auto insurance savings more than made up for increases in my homeowners insurance. Local agencies means personalized service.

We've been with them for over thirty years. They have been on top of everything that we have experienced when filing claims and adjusting our policy. They cover our private vehicles as well as our business vehicles and equipment. We are so pleased with their service that we also have our business insurance and home insurance with them.

They are fine enough. Just a bit pricey. But I have had no problems with them. I have looked at other companies, and they are a lot more, so I would probably stay with Auto Owners.

Treats me as a valued client, but doesn't advertise it and is there when I need them. No bragging, no hidden fees. Got stuck in the snow in an unfamiliar area, called them on the cellphone, and they called a tow truck to pull me out.

Auto Owners has one of the cheapest policies that I have found. When I filed an accident claim, they were fast and very helpful getting my vehicle repaired. Also they did not raise my rates.

They are the cheapest rate I could get for my area. The only problem I have had with them is with their automatic payments. I had accidentally missed a payment so they doubled what they were going to withdraw the next time. I paid it off in full before they withdrew it but still tried to take it out. The following month they tried to double the original double amount and I was furious. In the end they ended up fixing it and I paid enough to be able to skip a months payment.

I have never had to file a claim so not familiar with that aspect. But our agent has always been prompt to return calls, very knowledgeable and helpful. When we purchased a new vehicle on spur of the moment he was right there to help us. He has been our agent for years, we couldn't ask for better service. I would not change even if we found a less expensive insurance.

Quick claim service, helpful available agent, best price per coverage in Michigan period and I have compared many companies over the past few years. And that is it for me as far as this goes.

Their rates are competitive and they give a discount for multiple vehicles. They answer calls quickly and respond when I need something. You can update your info over the phone when you get a new car.

I love the prices because they are very competitive with other companies. They are very flexible with us if we are late with making a payment. Never have they not been there when we needed them.

I like my insurance company very much. I do not feel like just a number or payment but like someone they actually care about. My insurance company helps me to reduce my monthly cost by offering discounts for all different things. I never feel like I am bothering them when I call with a question about my policy. When I was in an accident a few years ago they were they with me every step of the way, even coming to my work to look at my vehicle and sign some papers. Even though I was not at fault I really thought that my insurance would go up, but it never did. I am very satisfied with my insurance.

The price is low and I pay by the month. I get a discount from them for having both car and home insurance with the company. I have never had any problems with them since I have been with the company. I would recommend them to anyone. I think I am getting the best price with the best coverage.

Auto Owners gave the best price. They are really easy to walk to and guide you in making the right decision. If you have a claim they pay really quick. Saved over $300 signing up with them. The rate increase each year is very little if any.

Auto Owners have been very good for us so far. We have never had a problem getting through when needed. They were the most affordable for us and we were able to also have them for auto and homeowners. That way it's all in one bill which we really like.

Have had great experience. Good company. I have had several claims throughout the years and they have always paid fairly and promptly. The adjusters have been very easy to work with. The service has always been very prompt.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Auto Owners Insurance is a regional insurance company that offers life, home, auto and business insurance to individual customers and corporations. They focus on providing local, in-person availability that creates a personal relationship with their customers.

• Independent Agency: Auto Owners is an independent agency that customizes quotes from a large network of providers to find the best choice for the individual customer.
  • Reputation: Auto Owners is a multi-award-winning company that consistently receives the highest rankings for growth, stability and service.
  • Stability: The company has spent 12 years on the Fortune 500 list. They remain one of the top national insurers in their respective divisions year after year.
  • Customer Service: Customer service has been decentralized in a unique approach that focuses on creating more outlets where clients can interact with local representatives in person.
  • Community Focused: With nearby offices, the company allows customers to keep their business local while being close enough to an office to visit in person for any related needs or questions.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Compare Auto Insurance