Auto Owners Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Worst insurance company ever. We had it for 2 weeks, after being insured by another insurance company for over 4 years, and it was revoked due to 'the risk being unacceptable for coverage'. I looked into new home and auto insurance after the cost for auto insurance increased substantially after our daughter started driving. I was pleased with the quote from Auto Owners and we cancelled our old insurance after we accepted the quote from Auto Owners. Two weeks later, we received a cancellation notice due to a delinquent payment. I immediately called our insurance agent. We had paid the quoted premium. Our agent informed me that it was not due to a delinquent payment, as stated in the correspondence. He said that it was being cancelled due to an exterior inspection. I was shocked. The claims made in the 'inspection' were ridiculous.

We were advised to make the suggested alterations in order to obtain the insurance. In the meantime, our mortgage company would put their own, much more expensive insurance in place. We hammered the ONE lifted nail in the roof, sprayed a small amount of algae off some siding, and rebuilt the deck railing that we had intentionally removed because I wanted a better view. We were still denied coverage and have been rejected by other insurance companies because of the 'revocation'. We have NEVER had such a HORRIBLE experience. We have owned several homes in the past, all of which were worse off than our current home, and have not ever had these issues. I would HIGHLY recommend staying far away from this company.

My wife was backed into in the parking lot of the Holiday Oil station on 12300S, Draper, UT. The police were called, but we were told they no longer take police reports in "private parking lots". The whole accident occurred directly in front of Holiday Oil's security cameras, and was able to be captured, and put on a separate memory stick that we could use for arbitration.

The opposing side who is not admitting any fault, had their adjuster get there within 3 days. Our adjuster made some phone calls, but never went to get a copy of the video tape from Holiday, who erased the month of April at the beginning of May. Leaving us with no visible proof as to what really happened. The case was sat on for 33 days until I went to their office, and asked why they didn't go 14 blocks away and get a copy of the video when we made the claim. Our case was assigned to an adjuster, who did little to nothing at all, then I again went to their office to ask why??? The case was then given to the supervisor, then the manager. Still nothing. They haven't even filed for arbitration. So we are left holding the bag of responsibility.

I would have thought that when someone hits your car from behind, their insurance would cover it. I received a rejection letter from Auto Owners. I think the game is they reject as much as possible and hope you don't have ins. that will go after them. I was mindful enough to contact my ins. immediately next step is to contact Utah Division of Ins. (801) 538-3800 and BBB of Utah. Should my ins. for whatever reason lose in arbitration, my next step will be to take the driver to court so they will be forced to defend him. I am sure this won't change their practice but they won't walk free.

We have only been an Auto Owners customer for 6 months and we switched to them because they gave us the same benefits of our former company but cost much less.

A local lawn maintenance company weed whacked next to my parked car. There were rocks everywhere all over my parking lot and grass fragments covering the entire side of my car. I contacted the lawn company, and they gave me their insurance contact, the Auto Owners Insurance. I contacted the insurance main office, and a report was taken, and I was to be contacted by their local adjuster to schedule an appointment to assess the damage.

After a week of not hearing from anyone, I contacted the Auto Owners Insurance company again only to get a runaround. Been told that they had no record of my claim. It took another call to the Auto Owners Insurance and this time I was transferred to the local agent who apologized for not contacting me. He stated that he must have taken down my telephone number wrong.

The adjuster did finally make it to the crime scene only to walk around pretending that he was holding a weed whacker telling me that he did NOT see how it may have possibly thrown anything out because there is a guard on the gas-powered whacker. Never mind the fact that I've shown him pictures taken immediately after the incident.

The Auto Owners Insurance agent did NOT even have a business card, and he left telling me that he will have to "check" with his boss and the insured so that they can debate whether the rock chips on the side of my car and my windshield happened as a result of their insured negligence. The best part of the entire horrible experience was when the Auto Owners Insurance agent advised me that unless I had a video showing the rocks flying they will likely deny this claim. Readers beware! The Auto Owners Insurance company is a complete joke. Unprofessional from the very first moment I contacted them to the very end. The worst insurance encounter I've ever had in my life!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

I had Auto Owners Insurance for years and they were horrible. They just took my money and as soon as I filed a claim they dropped my coverage.

Beware of choosing Auto Owners. Adjuster was not helpful at all. My roof was damaged by high winds in March. Roofing company tarped it so no damage to inside of house. Inspector was a week later and never took a look under tarp. I was promised a reinspect after a repair only was determined with no real first inspection. Took five weeks of back and forth with Todd (adjuster) saying best he can do is $1000 minus $500 deductible and $500 tarping. I have $9 to fix my roof! Nice Insurance/stay away from them!!!

This is in regards to an accident that happened Dec. 15 and still has not been settled. Westbound I enter the right turn lane going into Sullivan with my turn signals on. Anyone knowing this area knows it is a right turn lane only. Waiting on traffic to clear I look in my rearview mirror to see a car approaching 17 yr old insured with Auto Owners. She wanted to just leave the accident but finally called her mom. Police were called and she said she thought I was turning left. I get a report saying she is not at fault. I called the claims woman and asked if she knows how to read because my police report says she is at fault improper passing on the right. I think they all know she was trying to beat traffic. When I called to check on my claim they had her involved in another accident with a? Yes my insurance will pay but can't stand for this scum bag insurance company to win again. Filing in small claims court.

Strongly advise against Auto Owners Insurance Company. When it comes time to make a claim their adjuster will work against you. The insurance agent (ours happens to be Fethke Insurance Agency in Muskegon) is apparently of no help despite how wrong the adjuster may be. It's bad enough when two 86 year old, handicapped people have to leave their house for three weeks because of water damage and the adjuster is fighting on paying for out-of-the-house stay, electrical work.

Trust me, it is not worth buying any insurance from Auto Owners or anybody else if they are using Casey ** as their adjuster. He seems to be quite biased and wants his own contractors to quote on things but they won't do it unless you pay them. Almost sounds illegal to me. This is very frustrating! Had no previous insurance claims on this company and the first one is a nightmare. Avoid the nightmare. Do not buy Auto Owners insurance or anybody else that uses Casey ** as an adjuster. You will regret it!

I was rear ended and fighting for the other insurance to claim liability. Auto Owners was going to repair my truck and file an arbitration with the other insurance company. It has been a nightmare starting from the adjuster providing an incomplete quote and trying to deny some of the damage as if it didn't happen from the accident when in fact it absolutely did. Then a denial letter from Auto Owners with a list of false statements and inaccurate facts that can be visually proven. I always thought that I was supposed to have my vehicle repaired to the same condition as was before the accident. These guys are great if you don't have to use them. Get a real insurance company!!!

Good for those of you that have never had a claim with this insurance company. It is difficult to judge unless you have had a loss such as a tornado. My husband and I have been through hell for 3 and a half years with this company for a total loss. They turned the claim over to their attorney because they did not want to pay the limit of the insurance which we were entitled to. We had to hire an attorney. We are senior citizens and should not have to go through a nightmare to have them honor the policy. I would be sure to look at your policy in detail if you do have a claim. The agent was absolutely worthless.

They will not honor the policy I promise. One person had to have their home condemned before they would deal in good faith. A little late to call it good faith. I would never recommend this company!! Dealing with them has been worse than the tornado itself. Why should anyone go through this with an insurance company to replace a home after losing everything. The person that had his home condemned had a good agent but it was the company itself that refused to acknowledge the extent of the damage. Please take my warning seriously. Auto Owners the problem people!!!

I was not at fault in an accident and the company paid out $523.00. Customer service is top-notch. Also, the premium is decent. I shop each year and am unable to beat their rates.

Auto Owners was recommended to me by an agent because it was the lowest price for general liability. I have never had a claim (thank goodness), but my dissatisfaction started when my bank sent a new chip card to me in August 2016 that impacted my auto-payment with Auto Owners. No communication, no support - just automated cancellation and frustration following. They were quick to accept my past due payment but reinstating turned out to be another series of non-communication and wondering if I was even covered.

I switched to a new carrier immediately and confirmed I was paid in full so I could move on. THEN - they apparently audited my policy and sent me another bill for $113 labeled as "Your insurance has been canceled with a Balance Due. Failure to pay the amount due will result in your account being sent to a collection agency." When I called to see what this was about they said that they audited my account and I should have paid them more when I was a customer for the period of time I was covered so now I owed that to them! WTF!!! I can't imagine the hell I would have had to go through if I ever needed to make a claim with this kind of a company. RUN AWAY!

My grandson had an accident (not his fault). We are insured by Auto Owners. His car was totaled. Within a little more than a week he received a check for the value of his vehicle before the accident. Although at first, the claims examiner offered a lower amount but I re-negotiated the amount to be more favorable. I do believe that only once I confronted my agent because I expected service which I felt I was being neglected. If I pay my agent the premium I expect them to go to bat for me with the company. I do not feel that I should have to deal directly with the company, otherwise, why have an agent.

My car was backed into by accident, the grill was broken and the hood was creased along the front seam. The woman that hit me was honest and admitted that she was at fault, she gave me her insurance information and I contacted Auto-Owners Insurance in Stuart Fl. I brought it to two different body shops to get estimates. Auto-Owners Insurance sent an appraiser to my house to do their estimate. They sent Metro Appraisal to look at the car. The appraiser from Metro Appraisal was very rude and wrote an estimate to Bondo the front of my car, (all of the other shops insisted that I needed a new hood because of where the dent was would always be noticed.) And insisted that if I wanted anything else done to my car that I would have to take the claim to my insurance company. Their estimate was half of what it would take to fix the car.

I felt intimidated by the entire process so I called the Florida Insurance Commission. I was told that I didn't have to go through my insurance company and could file for mediation with them. All I wanted was the damage to be covered the first time in full. Their newest estimate concedes that the hood needs to be replaced. They are willing to put a "used" hood on my BMW. I should be thanking them for doing what they should be doing... they only increased the estimate by $200 which includes buying a new/"used" hood... painting the inside and outside and mounting... I don't think so. I have been going back and forth with Auto Owners Insurance to get them to fix my car for months now. It's like pulling teeth with this company, even after they know that I contacted the Insurance Commission they drag their feet. I would never buy insurance from this company. I would avoid this company like the plague.

Auto Owners is average - nothing special. They have been prompt in paying claims but I have been frustrated with them. I had a vehicle hit and totalled by an uninsured driver. I called and asked if I made the claim would it count against me. I was told that it would NOT because it wasn't my fault. But months later after they were unable to collect any money from him, they raised my rates and will stay that way for 3 years.

I have been with them for about a year and, thank goodness, I have not had to use them. Their pricing is very good and I can pay with a credit card. Also have access to all I need online. Contact is easy if needed.

Terrific experience with claims. When a tree fell on my car at a resort, my agent called for an estimate in the city where it occurred, gave me permission to drive it home safely and was there the day I arrived home to provide his estimate. Payment came within a week.

Auto Owners Insurance is very affordable. I love that you have the option to pay your premiums every six months instead of monthly. They are very helpful with claims and work hard to get your check to you so you can get your vehicle fixed. They are VERY reliable.

I have bundled my homeowners insurance with my auto insurance and realized significant savings. I have multi-car discounts, education discounts, safe driver discounts, etc. My Auto insurance savings more than made up for increases in my homeowners insurance. Local agencies means personalized service.

We've been with them for over thirty years. They have been on top of everything that we have experienced when filing claims and adjusting our policy. They cover our private vehicles as well as our business vehicles and equipment. We are so pleased with their service that we also have our business insurance and home insurance with them.

They are fine enough. Just a bit pricey. But I have had no problems with them. I have looked at other companies, and they are a lot more, so I would probably stay with Auto Owners.

Treats me as a valued client, but doesn't advertise it and is there when I need them. No bragging, no hidden fees. Got stuck in the snow in an unfamiliar area, called them on the cellphone, and they called a tow truck to pull me out.

Auto Owners has one of the cheapest policies that I have found. When I filed an accident claim, they were fast and very helpful getting my vehicle repaired. Also they did not raise my rates.

They are the cheapest rate I could get for my area. The only problem I have had with them is with their automatic payments. I had accidentally missed a payment so they doubled what they were going to withdraw the next time. I paid it off in full before they withdrew it but still tried to take it out. The following month they tried to double the original double amount and I was furious. In the end they ended up fixing it and I paid enough to be able to skip a months payment.

I have never had to file a claim so not familiar with that aspect. But our agent has always been prompt to return calls, very knowledgeable and helpful. When we purchased a new vehicle on spur of the moment he was right there to help us. He has been our agent for years, we couldn't ask for better service. I would not change even if we found a less expensive insurance.

Quick claim service, helpful available agent, best price per coverage in Michigan period and I have compared many companies over the past few years. And that is it for me as far as this goes.

Their rates are competitive and they give a discount for multiple vehicles. They answer calls quickly and respond when I need something. You can update your info over the phone when you get a new car.

I love the prices because they are very competitive with other companies. They are very flexible with us if we are late with making a payment. Never have they not been there when we needed them.

I like my insurance company very much. I do not feel like just a number or payment but like someone they actually care about. My insurance company helps me to reduce my monthly cost by offering discounts for all different things. I never feel like I am bothering them when I call with a question about my policy. When I was in an accident a few years ago they were they with me every step of the way, even coming to my work to look at my vehicle and sign some papers. Even though I was not at fault I really thought that my insurance would go up, but it never did. I am very satisfied with my insurance.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Auto Owners Insurance is a regional insurance company that offers life, home, auto and business insurance to individual customers and corporations. They focus on providing local, in-person availability that creates a personal relationship with their customers.

• Independent Agency: Auto Owners is an independent agency that customizes quotes from a large network of providers to find the best choice for the individual customer.
  • Reputation: Auto Owners is a multi-award-winning company that consistently receives the highest rankings for growth, stability and service.
  • Stability: The company has spent 12 years on the Fortune 500 list. They remain one of the top national insurers in their respective divisions year after year.
  • Customer Service: Customer service has been decentralized in a unique approach that focuses on creating more outlets where clients can interact with local representatives in person.
  • Community Focused: With nearby offices, the company allows customers to keep their business local while being close enough to an office to visit in person for any related needs or questions.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Compare Auto Insurance