Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.41/5

Auto Owners Insurance

Auto Owners Insurance works with independent agents to sell several types of insurance, including auto insurance. These independent agents aren't part of the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, so Auto Owners Insurance isn't a verified partner. To find a verified partner insurance company, contact InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

By innovating, Auto Owners Insurance has cut costs while still providing competitive coverage for automobiles and other major assets. Locally-focused agents respond to claims instead of national chains. Positive reviewers appreciate the flexibility brought on by the company’s growth.

PROS

• Has been a Forbes 500 company for more than a decade
  • Local agents and offices with independent businesses.
  • Offers several types of insurance
  • Bundle options available

CONS

• Claims processing times can vary
  • Rates may not be as competitive as other firms

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

94 Auto Owners Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I was recently rear ended in a car accident but still needed to go through my insurance. Once I filed my claim - I got a call back the same day. Rental car was set up immediately. The adjuster got out to assess quickly and repairs are started. Everyone that I worked with through this process was very helpful. Thank You!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My insurance company is very easy to deal with. When I had an issue they were quick to come out and review the damage, set me up with a rental car and gave me a list of shops near me that they would freelance the work out to. So easy.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

All around great insurance for the price that I pay for premiums. They have always been fair with me. When I had a vehicle totaled after a car/deer accident Auto Owners paid me fair market value for my car. It was a fairly painless process and took about a week. My only complaint, and it is very slight, is that you have to purchase an Auto Owners insurance policy through an agent, instead of being able to purchase directly from the company.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Recent hail damage claim was handled extremely expeditiously and received claim payment very quickly. Adjuster was very courteous and helpful in answering questions, and worked very well with my roofing contractor.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Called their 1-888-TOW-AOIC phone number. I listened to their phone message explaining they were experiencing high call volume in JULY, until my phone battery went dead. Another person called and they listened to the same phone message. A third person called another company. The next day I called my independent insurance person, and she explained others had experienced nobody answering the same road service phone number. I explained to my independent insurance person I wanted to switch to another insurance company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Original review: June 24, 2019

It took me six weeks of dealing with Auto Owners claiming my damage was a factory defect on my six month old Chevy Tahoe before the finally paid the claim. It took getting a law firm involved to get my car fixed. We have had them as insurance for 14 years with no tickets or claims. The appraiser they sent out has stated he has no credentials..no ASEs and has never attended a certified body damage school such as Vale. Our adjuster was even worse. He never answered the phone and had a second appraiser go out and write no supplement when there was still more damage that was very apparent when the bolts on the bumper did not align with the holes in the bumper. By sending an appraiser out to refute the appraisal by our collision company, Auto Owners acted in bad faith. During this six week period we incurred $1100 dollars in vehicle. Rental fees. We may still take their appraisers and them to small claims court.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Intentionally delayed simple claims unnecessarily, then refuse to pay for damages of such delays. Lied about not receiving documents to cover their tracks, then later admitted they'd had them the whole time. I've been advised by every lawyer I talked to to stay away from this company.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Horrible customer service. My husband was hit by someone insured by these people. 100% their driver was at fault. He was cited on the scene for reckless driving and caused over $26,000.00 in damage to a brand new $50,000.00 motorcycle, plus broke three of my 63 year old husband's ribs. The two times they communicated with us were to try and blame the accident on my husband, then to ask for medical bills (which we sent). When my husband called them several weeks after submission of medical reports and invoices, they told him he had to write a letter and were extremely rude and unprofessional. Really? This is Vegas. Lots of Attorney's happy to help in a case this obvious. We won't be talking with Auto Owners Insurance again, but will gladly see them in court. This could've been so much easier and a lot less expensive for them if they simply had been courteous.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I put in a claim for damages on my Vehicle which absolutely should be covered, and any other vehicle insurance would cover them, but not Auto Owners Insurance. I was rear ended by another driver. It was completely her fault. She backed into the side of my car. I tried to go through her insurance for the damages, but unfortunately she has Auto Owners Insurance. I believe they were grossly negligent in denying my claim. We are thinking about suing them. They told us they did an investigation, but never asked for information about the damage, or wanted pictures.

Original review: May 22, 2019

We had 4 claims in one year and three were due to the weather. We had a break in and a coin collection was stolen. They made their own interruption on the policy and paid only face value for morgans and rare coins. Our roof leaked and ran down the inside wall. They sent in a outside company to look at roof. This company didn't come during business hour like we requested twice. The outside company said repairs were done in the past and were good. They said caulking on edge was deteriorating. However the leak was from a hole better than a foot from the edge and no one knows what caused the hole. Auto Owners denied the claim saying roof was bad condition but their company hired stated otherwise.

The claim for a day's loss due to an ice storm on November 16, 2018. The State Highway Dept. advised people to stay off road. We have insurance for employee wage loss and loss of profit. Two separate things in the contract, also there is no deductible. A separate company was hired and they deducted our PayPal from the gross income and combine the employee salary with the gross income. We put in Claim for $11K after they got done with their interruption they offered only $1k. What good is Auto Owners insurance if they don't pay claims that are legit?

Original review: May 15, 2019

After my original claim on wind damage which they paid promptly they refuse to cover additional damage which was discovered by my roofer later. They claim the roof was not installed improperly. This is from someone they paid to inspect the roof. Funny, they have collected premiums for 18 yrs on an improperly installed roof and now the roof is my problem. Auto Owners always treated me fairly in the past but something has changed in the last few years. They no longer cover things as well as they did in the past.

In addition to this they also refused to replace the slope that the original damage is on to ensure that the roof will be an uniform match, The adjuster stated that from a small sample sent to a lab, in which the manufacturer could not be identified, that there were shingles that would be a close enough match. REALLY! New shingles matching 18 yrs ones. I have option of spending $$$$ in attorney fees just to get them to do the right thing. Great option, Right. BEWARE of Auto Owners insurance.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Claim denied, totally rude: Two tornadoes Hit Baldwin Michigan, it bent my steel roof seams and the leaking water damaged the roof and inside ceiling with mold and water. The walls were moved on the foundation 3 inches black and white. https://difs.state.mi.us/Complaints/FileComplaint.aspx.

Original review: April 16, 2019

A driver insured with Auto Owners ran a stop sign and T-boned my car and totaled it. He took complete blame. I have been fighting them for weeks to get any money. I had the car towed to my property so they had no storage to pay. I did not get a rental even though one was offered. After doing all that, they are still stonewalling me. We agreed on a settlement price but now no money. Can't even get a return phone call.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I was rear ended a year ago by an Auto Owners client. Getting the initial paperwork was easy, but now it's a year later & I'm trying to submit my medical paperwork for reimbursement. I emailed a PDF copy to the claims adjuster but she said she couldn't open it; I had no problems opening the attachment on multiple devices. She then asked me to fax it; I tried six times with three different fax numbers but couldn't get anything to go through. Now they need me to mail the papers, which I have no doubt will "get lost in the mail." I'm really starting to regret not getting a lawyer involved at the start.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I was injured at work and 4 years into treatment they decided to quit paying for anything and was turned over to a lawyer. Now that it has affected my whole family in many ways, they still won’t honor my doctors opinion and instead hired an expensive doctor near Chicago to make a false report and send me back to work unhealed. 2 doctors had me off work at that time. They don’t care about the insured but how much they can save money.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

An Auto Owners policyholder hit my vehicle, 100% their fault. My agent and myself have tried numerous times to contact the adjuster after filing the claim. We are 20 days later and have not received a call from the adjuster. My advice, THINK TWICE!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

If you're considering purchasing insurance though Auto-Owner's, please reconsider. My family filed a claim after Hurricane Michael hit our area and we had some window damage. I understand they are busy but they put us off for months. When Jim was finally able to get out, he said he couldn't say for sure about the damage and then hired an engineer to come out weeks later to take a look. They denied our claim but Ben from their Claims department could give no answers other than "it's all in the report." Ben in Claims contradicted Jim's story and notes and since he couldn't give any more answers, my family and I just feel duped by them. They inspected and insured our house as is just five years ago but after damages related to the most recent storm, they're refusing to help and being horribly impolite about it.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

While driving in town to pick up my wife from work, I was driving in a right turn lane (to turn right) when an idiot decided to make a right turn from a forward only lane, thereby hitting my new car on the driver's side. Kathy ** of Auto Owners Insurance decided their insured driver was not at fault and I now have to pay for the damage to my car that this idiot driver caused. Kathy ** was arrogant through the whole process and extremely snotty.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Our vehicle was in a mechanic shop for repair. The vehicle came out of the shop with body damage and the problem it went in to have fixed worse. The shop owner agreed the damages happened there and asked for estimates so he could pay it, we took the estimates he decided it was too much and submitted a claim to his insurance company Auto Owners. After 2 weeks of not hearing anything I contacted them. A week passed and I had to call them again. They then decided to send an appraiser out. The appraiser came back with an offer that wasn't even enough to cover the labor alone. I told them not acceptable and sent copies of the estimates we initially received which they already had.

They then sent this back to their appraiser (Americlaims) to confirm with the shops. Couldn't get answers from Americlaims and auto owners not returning calls. I eventually blocked my number when I called and miraculously they were there. At this point 4 weeks had passed. They now tell me they have sent it to attorney for review, really so the insured states it was the fault of his shop and offered to pay, Auto Owners said they were paying for all the damages but made an extremely low offer and now they have retained legal counsel.

We are well beyond 2 months almost 3 for something cut and dry and still waiting on Auto Owners. I would advise anyone and everyone to stay away from this company. If they won't pay put third-party claims. I can only imagine what they do for their insured's. Horrible horrible claims between Dan ** and Cindy ** in the Sioux Falls claims office and the Americlaims they use for appraiser. This company wants to pay bare minimum and below.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I was trying to grow my business, needed workman's comp. got this Auto Owners, I paid on time for every bill I got. Never had a claim. I had some bad employees and switched back to no employees. I got a letter from Auto Owners stating I was behind payments and it was canceled. I never got any notices or emails about this. I called them. I had a 15 dollar fee to close out the account. I got the account closed. 3 month later I get a bill for 4000.00 I called and asked what it was about. They tell me they are charging me 200% interest on my previous account due to not getting payroll report. Again no letters or notices about it. I asked if I could access my account online. Was told sure. I put in the account number is not accessible. Then they tell me they are sending the bill to collections. even though it states I have 30 days for payment. I'm done with them. They are a bunch of scammers.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

In October 2017 I was rear ended while stopped at a red light. Other driver did not even brake as he was busy talking on his cell phone. My car was totaled. Back end was dented in but tow system underneath helped prevent it from crushing in further. I’m a no nonsense person & just wanted to get to work. Within 5 minutes my neck felt horribly sprained. Within 3 hours my brain just shut down, nauseated, blurred vision... went for medical care & found to have neck injuries & bad concussion. Have been told tow system helped car but caused a bigger impact to me.

For over a month & a half had trouble speaking because my brain couldn’t find words. At times that is still an issue. I returned to work too early at my own insistence & against my doctor's advice. Auto Owners by law & contract should pay the first $10,000 of medical bills. They are denying all bills & have the audacity to say I’m fraudulent in my claim. 3 doctors including a neurologist, along with 2 PAs have said I have concussion. Medical is still ongoing, costing me 1000s along with ruining my excellent credit.

I’ve always lived with integrity which is why I didn’t just rush off in an ambulance for claim's sake, I’ve also gone to docs only when absolutely necessary. I’m a dedicated worker but coworkers are having to pick up my slack as my brain is not working right, not the same since the accident. This company is flat out evil. I was a safe driver for 41 years. Never had claims & this is how they treat people.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Auto Owners Insurance recently declared my auto was totaled so I chose to keep my vehicle and take the payment. When I went to pick up the check the check was in mine and my ex-girlfriend's name when her name is nowhere on the title only on the insurance policy. This is completely ridiculous as she has nothing to do with this vehicle. Has never made a payment or paid the insurance on this vehicle. Nor does she drive this vehicle. It is mine. I need to get my vehicle fixed but they chose to put the check in both names. It should be just mine. Now I'll be lucky if I get any of it!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We are a small dealership with two separate lots, both had hail damage back in June. We have done everything Auto Owners has asked us to do including some things twice. After several months of double talk and unanswered phone calls we were told by Mark **, our claims adjuster, that our check was in processing. After waiting 2-3 weeks for our check we called Mark ** for 2 weeks before he would answer! When he finally did answer he told us that he didn't have all the information that he needed to process the claim!

How is that possible... because it was a straight up lie! It is now October and we still have not received our claim check on over 80 cars and trucks. Mark ** is a liar and still avoids us like the plague! His supervisors have done nothing to expedite the situation. If you are looking for business insurance I would never recommend Auto Owners. This is a substantial amount of money for our small business to be held ransom for.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

My wife had to pay Medicare back for hospital costs that Medicare paid for from the accident because Auto Owners refused to pay them. They treated her very badly and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. They're only interested in our money and in the customer.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Our son was rear-ended on May 11, 2018 by a man with Auto Owners Insurance and they do not want to pay the full amount to have our son's car repaired. The accident was completely the other guy's fault and the police report states that. Our son's car had a cracked bumper and a completely broken exhaust. They paid for the bumper and only part of the exhaust. They said we need to just have it welded instead of replacing it. Well, that is unacceptable. The accident was not our son's fault and yet they do not want to repair his car. The exhaust was barely hanging on and he needed to drive it to work. The appraiser they used was a jerk and had the model wrong for the car, he had the lower end model listed and it is the high end model and he low balled the estimate. We have been through 3 customer service reps and none of them listen to us.

They said the exhaust should be welded and that's it. They also do not want to pay for the rental insurance on the rental they gave him for a week. They said it's because he doesn't have collision on his own vehicle so that's on him. Again, the accident was not his fault, he should not be out any money. We had an independent estimate done by Abra Auto Body and Glass in Milford, Ohio, per their request to prove the repair amount and they still won't pay. They don't even care that he went by ambulance to the hospital for a mild concussion either. They also don't return calls and they are never available when you call them. My sister has been in 2 accidents since this happened to our son and both times the insurance has paid. It shows that Auto Owners likes to punish the person that their insured hits.

Our son has had to pay for a new exhaust mostly out his pocket and my husband had to put it on, we could not afford the repair shop to do the repairs because we weren't given enough money. We even took the car for a 3rd estimate but they haven't budged. Our insurance company (American Family) has actually paid the medical bills because Auto Owners has refused. Again, our son was rear-ended. This insurance company is a joke. I would never recommend them. It's been 4 months and this is still going on, ridiculous.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Auto Owners performed an initial audit on my payroll as normal, but doubled my rates, and the following year when my payroll dropped to 1/4 that of what it had been it did not reduce my rates but increased them another $460! They are deceptive and stated that they never received my audit even when I sent it directly to them have a signature and email to prove they received it. They refused review the audit and continue to lie about their information. When contacted they say they will send an itemized statement and never do. They finally sent one after I cancelled service and stated I own over $3000! They are scammers and I will never trust their company again. I now have one that is paid after each payroll is completed.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I was rear ended by a driver insured by Auto Owners on June 8, 2017. I injured my neck and back. I was seen on an outpatient basis for a year and then ultimately I had to get a Cervical Discectomy with Fusion (Neck Surgery) on July 16, 2018. After reviewing my Doctor's notes, Therapy notes, MRI's, CAT Scans, X-Rays and Surgical notes I was offered $2,800 from "Tim". I am 3 weeks post neck surgery. I had two vertebrae removed and repaired with a metal plate. I still have a Syrinx (Fluid filled cyst) on my cervical spine from the impact of the rear end. I am being told that there is no treatment for it. I will continue to have limited function of my neck despite having surgery due to this "Syrinx".

I would not recommend this company. I am preparing to sue them. Instead of just paying the policy limit (which is significantly lower than my actual expenses), they would rather take a "roll of the dice" in court. My surgery alone cost $45,000. Not to mention the other bills which total another $35,000. I'm so angry that my life has been ruined by one of their policyholders and they have the mitigated gall to offer me $2800 (as if I'm a joke or something)??? ** that!! I'm taking them all the way to court. I've had enough of their games.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

My teenage children was in an auto accident on September 2, 2017, when another driver turned in front of them. My daughter's car was totaled and both had to be taken to medical care. I have Auto Owners insurance and have submitted the medical bills to be paid. To date, the bills have not been paid and I have placed more time and effort into getting these bills resolved than my insurance company has. They have lied to me and continue to give me lame excuses. I have had to hire an attorney to represent my daughter, who suffered to most injuries. I would never recommend Auto Owners insurance company to anyone. I will be dropping them if/when I ever get this resolved.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

In July of 2018 I was involved in an accident with one of their insured. I was traveling eastbound when I came up on an intersection they isn’t complicated to work. Their client was traveling westbound preparing to turn left (would then be heading south). I had a solid green arrow and the insured had a flashing yellow arrow, which means yield to the right of way. The insured wasn’t paying attention and began to turn left as I was entering the intersection, I went to slam on my brakes I was unable to stop in time, and collided with the car.

After immediately filing a claim with them that night it has been a horrible and draining experience with this company. First I got a call from the adjuster and he told me he was going to be in town from 11am-4pm the day he called to schedule to meet me. As I had to work I told him that wouldn’t work. He said he was going to be driving back through town around 6 and I said that could work but I wouldn’t be at home and asked if he could meet me at a different location. He agreed and still ended up being 25 minutes late. The adjusted estimated $2100 worth of damage which we immediately knew was incorrect. I continued to drive my car because I had not been told I shouldn’t be. My hood was buckled and we knew that, but in the state of Kansas it’s illegal to drive with a buckled hood as it could be dangerous, which you’d think the adjuster would have informed me of that stipulation.

After finally getting the repair approved I took it to a repair shop. (Luckily we got to choose the repair shop so we took it to a local business who’s been in business for decades and is very helpful.) The repair shop immediately told us the estimate was low, how low he had no idea. After a week of trying to get the adjuster back in they explained that his adjustment was only half of what it would actually take to repair it. After almost another week of nothing we were informed that the agent decided the car was a total loss, which according to KBB, NADAguides, and Edmunds should’ve been a total of $5200 and Auto Owners claimed the vehicle was only worth $3400, which is completely unacceptable.

Some issues not mentioned include trouble with a rental car, trouble with the agent not being available for days at a time with no urgency to get back to us, among basic disrespect and nonprofessional handlings. Auto Owners has been a nightmare to work with and I don’t recommend insuring anything through them. They employ inconsiderate, bottom feeding, power hungry people. I am so sorry for anyone who has or will ever have to deal with this joke of a company.

Original review: July 27, 2018

My husband and I had an automobile wreck. We were hit by an individual that was uninsured and my car was totaled. I had my vehicle paid for so this was definitely a loss for us. However, to make matters worst the lack of communication with our adjuster was below standard. My husband and I would call and it would go straight to voicemail and we would leave a message. The voicemail stated to only leave one message and we followed the "rule"! Although we never received a callback!

My husband finally had to press another prompt and have someone make her pick up because we didn't even know at the time if our car was repairable or not. In the end we were given below retail value of the vehicle and aren't satisfied! We live in a hurricane prone area and have our homeowner’s insurance with Auto Owners as well! Our home is paid for I pray we don't have a claim! Keep in mind we have been loyal customers for years and never had a claim. Guess it's time to do some insurance shopping!

Auto Owners Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Auto Owners Insurance is a regional insurance company that offers life, home, auto and business insurance to individual customers and corporations. They focus on providing local, in-person availability that creates a personal relationship with their customers.

• Independent Agency: Auto Owners is an independent agency that customizes quotes from a large network of providers to find the best choice for the individual customer.

• Reputation: Auto Owners is a multi-award-winning company that consistently receives the highest rankings for growth, stability and service.

• Stability: The company has spent 12 years on the Fortune 500 list. They remain one of the top national insurers in their respective divisions year after year.

• Customer Service: Customer service has been decentralized in a unique approach that focuses on creating more outlets where clients can interact with local representatives in person.

• Community Focused: With nearby offices, the company allows customers to keep their business local while being close enough to an office to visit in person for any related needs or questions.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky