Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.83/5

Auto Owners Insurance works with independent agents to sell several types of insurance, including auto insurance. These independent agents aren't part of the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, so Auto Owners Insurance isn't a verified partner. To find a verified partner insurance company, contact InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

By innovating, Auto Owners Insurance has cut costs while still providing competitive coverage for automobiles and other major assets. Locally-focused agents respond to claims instead of national chains. Positive reviewers appreciate the flexibility brought on by the company’s growth.

PROS

• Has been a Forbes 500 company for more than a decade
  • Local agents and offices with independent businesses.
  • Offers several types of insurance
  • Bundle options available

CONS

• Claims processing times can vary
  • Rates may not be as competitive as other firms

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Auto Owners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I felt compelled to write a review as I noticed their fairly low rating on here. This is obviously due to people not understanding their coverage. We were victims of a nasty hail storm where we lost 18 windows, 3 sides of siding, and the entire roof. Auto Owners was extremely easy to work with and did not fight our contractor's invoice whatsoever. At the same time our neighbors (with similar home values) were offered HALF of what Auto Owners offered. Half is a big number when most of the exterior of the house needed to be replaced. Pay a few extra bucks and let Auto Owners insure everything that is important to you!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I have only had to claim the use of my roadside coverage, thank God. That service has been wonderful all the way around from my call to the end result with professional and prompt service. I have recommended this company to others.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have many types of policies with them, from auto, home, umbrella, commercial auto, and investment property. I think that I get a good value for the price that I pay. However, I heard that they really chose their customers.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

While I've never had to turn in any major claims I will say that any time I've had a windshield stone chip or glass replacement there have been no problems with coverage or assistance from Auto Owners. Message I've left have always been answered promptly and they keep their word.

Original review: July 25, 2019

There are so many negative reviews on here, but all are instances where the customers are mostly in the wrong. If you compare Auto Owners to other companies on the market, they are among the best. There are negative things to say about every company, but mostly cause customers put themselves in those hard spots for insurance companies to deny claims. I have had Auto Owners for years and never had any trouble out of them. Claims have been paid out appropriately. Roadside has worked great. And my INDEPENDENT agent has always provided great customer service to me and my family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

Created a claim for an accident and later was informed my car was a total loss. Agent was extremely rude entire time. Was offered half of what it would take to replace my car and told “not my job to find what your car is worth”. Horrible attitude from several employees I spoke to.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I'm going to be as brief as possible, I have a commercial truck policy. I have been with this insurance group for over 5 years. I have paid my policy on time, and have never had a accident until 7 months ago. Which was a fender bender. No major damage, no hospital visits, NOTHING! This group, brought my policy up 2,500.00 dollars, not to mention, also paying out 8500.00 dollars to the person hit, who was obviously looking to scam them. He himself was hit by a dump truck where his vehicle was totaled and car was totaled, 2 weeks prior, and I believe they failed to investigate that.

They put my policy in another tier, they lessened my coverage rate, and altered my amenities. They pretty much didn't give a **, about me, and the 5 years of solid consistency I'm thrown in a tail spin. Where is the protection? Where is the benefit? I could see if I was a holder of the policy for 1 year but 5 years and you have the audacity to say thank you for being a policy holder of 5 years.. I've been robbed.. And I failed to do research on the reviews of this company, I'm PISSED!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Filed a claim. 2 weeks later adjuster shows up. Week later received a call about claim. 3 weeks later they came up with a number. 3 months later received payment (less than what was agreed on). 2 weeks later they said the difference would be made up after went to auction. 2 months later went to said auction (never notified us we wanted to bid). Week later we found out. Summary they screwed us out of $6000.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Their client hit my car. Each case has one agent and you MUST go through that individual agent for that case/claim. The agent assigned to my claim was very negative and non responsive from the beginning. I tried for two weeks to contact her (again/still) to get a rental while my car would be in the repair shop. My discovery, after having to go through my insurance company, was that she was no longer with the company. That was very strange and inexcusable because her voice mail, which I had been leaving messages to, was still active and APPARENTLY NO ONE WAS RESPONSIBLE OR CARED. It appears they will leave you in the ditch if it cost them anything.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I have never had more problems dealing with an insurance company. First of all I work for a health insurance company and I know how to treat people with respect and I have an idea of how things work. I have been covered with them for 6 years and within the last year I was in two car accidents, both which were my fault and got a ticket for. I have never had a ticket or claim with them up until this year. Then I get a letter and they are kicking me off their policy. For what? Two claims? Isn't that what insurance is for?

And both times I had to deal with them in going over car repairs and who was at fault and even talking to them on the phone I always got the run around. Most normal insurances will just raise your premium but no. Instead they just flat out kicked me off. They always have the worst customer service any time I have called and are nothing but difficult to work with because I have claims. I will find a decent insurance who treats me with respect when I call instead of being rude to me because I have a claim.

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Auto Owners Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Auto Owners Insurance is a regional insurance company that offers life, home, auto and business insurance to individual customers and corporations. They focus on providing local, in-person availability that creates a personal relationship with their customers.

• Independent Agency: Auto Owners is an independent agency that customizes quotes from a large network of providers to find the best choice for the individual customer.

• Reputation: Auto Owners is a multi-award-winning company that consistently receives the highest rankings for growth, stability and service.

• Stability: The company has spent 12 years on the Fortune 500 list. They remain one of the top national insurers in their respective divisions year after year.

• Customer Service: Customer service has been decentralized in a unique approach that focuses on creating more outlets where clients can interact with local representatives in person.

• Community Focused: With nearby offices, the company allows customers to keep their business local while being close enough to an office to visit in person for any related needs or questions.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor