Based on 50 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Compare other quotes now
InsuraMatch - Powering the ConsumerAffairs Insurance Program

Auto Owners Insurance

Auto Owners Insurance works with independent agents to sell several types if insurance, including auto insurance. These independent agents aren't part of the InsuraMatch program, so Auto Owners Insurance isn't a partner. To find a partner insurance company, contact InsuraMatch today.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 24, 2018

50 Auto Owners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

These people are deceptive, you would be wise to not do business with Auto Owners Insurance. They claim they can raise your premium at any time, without notice, or reason. I just got a 3 week notice to cough up 2.5 times the amount I already paid them. And I already paid them in $850 full. For the record, I never made a claim for anything in the five years I have done business with them. In November of 2016, for the 2016-17 policy, they sent an initial quote for the year for $850; then with two months left in the year they sent a bill for an additional $990 because they claimed I missed an audit. This year 2017-18, on November 15th of 2017, I paid the $850 again - and again I paid the premium in full. Today Feb 24th, 2018, I just received another notice that my premium more than tripled, they are requesting another $2056.00 on top of what I already paid them.

It's no secret I have an open construction permit with the local building department on a job that I have going. I have to have liability insurance or else I cannot call for an inspection. Like I say it's no secret and the permit can be viewed online at any time. I suspect they just sit back and watch your permit history and the progress of your job, and when the time is most convenient for them to pull the rug out from under your feet... They send you a ransom note - either pay up or be canceled.

I suspect that Auto Owners Insurance is running a racket, they figured out that if you pay them their ransom money once, then there is a good chance you'll pay them the ransom money again. I soundly advise you stay as far away from Auto Owners Insurance as possible. The money is just the tip of the iceberg with Auto Owners Insurance. They will not communicate with you, they do not want to spend the time to service their policies, and don't hold your breath waiting for them to answer the telephone or an email, because you'll be blue in the face before that happens.

Moreover the middlemen in the deal, the insurance broker, is a joke. The policy reads that one company, Primary Company - XYZ-01 is supposed to handle the policy, however, when you call them, they claim they are not the my insurance agents, and that a Subsidiary Company, XYZ-02, is really my insurance agent. So then you call them, and you get shuffled around again; and at the end of the ordeal, you are still not sure who the actual insurance agent is anyhow. If all this sounds familiar, it's because it's a lot like a shell game - its 3 Card Monte, if you please. Which shell is the pea under? I suspect if you picked up all three shells, you'd find the pea isn't under any of them. Not that it needs repeating, but there is something funny about Auto Owners Insurance that I don't find comical in any way, shape, or form - stay away... Stay far away - stay far far away - these folks are playing with a stacked deck. And there is no way you can possibly win!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I have been with Auto Owners for over a year and I have noticed whether you get a ticket or not your premium will go up every time it’s time to be renewed. I have a private agency that I go through but every time I have gone in person or called to speak to someone to explain why the premium keeps going up NO ONE IS EVER AVAILABLE or returns my call. I started paying $60 last February and I’m currently paying $106 and still no explanation. I think it’s time to say ** them and go somewhere else for both my car insurance and home insurance. I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

After being a customer with Auto Owners Insurance for about 30 years. Due to unfortunate set of events, they have chosen to not renew my auto insurance. I always thought that the reason for having insurance is to cover you when accidents happen. Be careful when you choose Auto Owners for your coverage, if they have to pay out, they will drop you.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have an independent agent so he reviews all companies and several years ago we settled on Auto Owners. I've had two claims with them, one major 10K and one minor, both were handled promptly and efficiently with minimum work on my part and with my best interest in mind. My agent immediately called me back, arranged for an adjuster to view damage, the adjuster worked with the repair shop and everything was done 100% to my satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Local independent agent takes care of all my needs in a timely manner and also, great customer service and does a annual survey of various insurance companies and their rates and it always come back to Auto Owners for not only best rate but also best service. Someone backed into my rear bumper with a trailer hitch and bent not only the bumper but bent bumper bracket. Over $1600 to repair and replace bumper.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

My home was destroyed in 2016. I have nothing but positive things to say report. The adjuster was terrific. She assisted me in every way possible. Helped find a temporary place for us to live... helped to salvage belongings that could be saved. Arranged for storage for our salvageable belongings. The company that is working on restoration of our home said that Auto Owners is one of the best companies that he has worked with. I have been a customer of this company for 20 years and have always been very satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

We unfortunately were victim to a falling tree during Hurricane Irma in mid-September. Auto Owners has yet to still settle with us and our independent adjuster. The original AO adjuster that was sent out never even inspected our roof or attic where there was damage. Thus their estimate was significantly off from what needed to be repaired. Auto Owners has continued to spin us around in circles, sending out a second adjuster and now sending out an engineer. We are very disappointed in their response to our home repairs. We have been displaced from our home with our dog and 2 year old son for close to 4 months while we continue to feel like Auto Owners just doesn’t care that our home is a disaster! Auto Owners was very highly recommended based on their customer service and response to claims, our experience has been less than pleasant and very stressful. We would caution others on using them as an insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Auto Owners has been my insurance company for 17 years and I have never had a problem with this company. Everything was always completed. I am a senior citizen and I receive discounts that apply. I have had 3 claims and they were extremely prompt and courteous. They contacted me via phone immediately to tell me when the adjuster was to arrive. Auto Owners sent the insurance adjuster right to my home. He checked the damage, gave me an estimate, asked where I wanted to have the repair done. Two days later I received a check for the damage.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I do restoration work for a living, and got to say Auto Owners is one of the most difficult, they are a joke. Stay away! My 80 year old grandmother had a leak in her roof, had both wind and hail damage, Jason ** the adjuster, fought it like he was fighting for his life, the wind damage they got out of because of improper nailing but they issued the policy anyways, and the holes all in the roof, the dents in the metal vents I guess they think from natural causes. I don't know.

Jason wrote in his report he didnt notice damage to the gutter guards and she doesn't even have gutter guards, then he sent an "engineer" out that I believe was his first day on the job, when I was on the roof with both of them you could tell they weren't even comfortable on a roof even with their special Martha Stewart roof shoes, the engineer didn't even do a chalk test, I asked him as he was getting out of good pinto, "Where's your chalk" he acted like he was out, so he came unprepared, and it took him a month to do his report. My grandmother has never even filed a claim. The main reason they turned her down they say due to the age of the roof, that is 20yo. AUTO OWNERS IS A JOKE. STAY AWAY, JUST READ THEIR REVIEWS!! LIBERTY IS A GOOD COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

They never answer the phone. I never heard of this company and is anyone else having trouble reaching Dillion ** 614 855 4547 ext **. Dont count on a company that will leave you out in the cold when you need them.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

We had a major hail storm and Auto Owners adjuster Tim ** from the Indianapolis office intentionally underestimated all of the damages. I had to dispute them for 18 months and they still haven't made it right. Their process involves sending an engineer who finds no damage and sides with the adjusters initial findings. Then upon further complaint they send another engineer who then finds a little more damage but accuses the homeowner of manual manipulation. The uncooperative adjuster refused to come back when asked to look at the damage along with our contractor.

These practices exercised by Auto Owners Insurance arent limited to Indianapolis. This company has done this identical thing to homeowners in Atlanta under the heading "Homeowners Fight with Insurance Company to Fix Hail Damage" and a Channel 2 news investigation can be viewed by searching the heading. I recommend you have your contractor present the first time your adjuster assesses your property damage. Auto Owners Insurance has still refused to pay for the pictured portion of this hail damaged roof.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My dad always owned the car that I drove and would not put the insurance in my name. Just a dad thing I guess, having no idea it would come back to haunt me one day. When I moved to the big city in 1998 and the insurance we had always had was no longer going to write in Nebraska, I could not get many insurance companies to look at me, due to the fact it was a first time for me to have insurance in my name. When I found I needed insurance at the age of 43, a lot of insurance companies would not even think of insuring me. Instead it would have to be in my mom's name who was going to give up her driver's license due to age. State Farm was the only one at the time who would take me on. I know Auto-Owner's would never have a qualm about anything like that as long as you have a credit score.

I switched to Auto Owners from State Farm in May 2008. I went with auto-deduct from the credit card on file, so I never have to worry about missing a payment every three months and I always get a notice that it is due, and what the amount will be that goes on the credit card, and then afterwards, I get an email with my receipt showing that it was paid. So nothing to worry about except enjoying my ride and peace of mind that my apartment, belongings and any guests are protected by the renter's insurance. I have never regretted my decision to switch with this company and they are the only insurance company to not charge you for not paying in full. You can take insurance for 6 months or a year.

If you pay the premium in full you receive a discount. Most insurance companies charge $5.00 to $10.00 per month or quarter to pay other than pay in full. If you sign up for paperless communication you receive $5.00 off your premium each time, and if you pay online you receive another $5.00 off your premium. Which I believe goes way beyond great customer service. In fact, I liked the company so much I stayed with the company this year after trading off an old Ford Escape for a 2013 Mazda and decided to go with a different agent. Sam was able to save me a ton of money by upgrading and giving me a year policy instead of 6 months. He also rewrote my renter's insurance for a much better deal.

If I ever had a claim, I have no doubt that it will be handled with kid glove treatment and the claim will go smoothly with no glitches or problems getting taken care of. Also, I was told that if I ever have a problem I can take my vehicle to any repair center that I want, so that means I can have it taken to the Ford Mazda dealership where I bought it and where I know everyone. Overall, I could not even imagine switching to a different insurance company for all my insurance needs. I have never had a claim and hope by the time I give up driving in my old age, that I can say the same thing. I would not hesitate to recommend Auto-Owners as an insurance agency for all your needs, whether just starting out needing insurance, adding a family member, relocating to a new state, or adding more property to your list.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

While the company seemingly had favorable ratings when it came to payoffs, however, I found their approach to be very opportunistic, to put it mildly! Case in point, I was with them for several years carrying three autos and one motor home. I had two rather insignificant claims and they cancelled my policy. My claims weren't such that I misrepresented anything. They both were legitimate and reasonable, I thought. After all isn't that why you have insurance? I WILL NEVER choose or recommend AO!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

For 2 years I've had this company. They decided to raise my account so I said I was going elsewhere. Went through a broker who took care of all details. She told me I needed to have the new company call her to verify. They did. Then they said I needed a paper signed online. Told them they needed to send it but didn't get it. Suddenly my account is overdrawn, they took my money, still drove to the broker office and signed papers. Southern owners said my money would be in my account 2 to 3 business days.

That came and went, nothing, called the broker again. They called Southern owners AGAIN. Now they said, "Whoever you talked to is very wrong. Be another week, 2 weeks total." They had no problem grabbing that money, but weeks to get it back. My account was overdrawn because of them who's gonna pay the 36 dollars the bank took. Plus now I have a negative thing in my account, was planning in buying a house soon. The bank looks at these things. When is this gonna end.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I have been with Auto Owners 5 years, never had any issues. Last January I was involved in an accident. Although someone turned left in front of me, because I was in a bicycle lane, looking to enter a driveway, I was found "At Fault". I knew I had Rental Reimbursement, so I went ahead and got a car rental. The claims adjuster went out of his way to "treat me right". He was ready to close the claim on a Wednesday, but I wasn't ready to pick up a new vehicle until Saturday. He let me keep, and paid for, my rental until Saturday! I was really fearing my May renewal, with this AFA now on my record. Auto Owners did NOT raise my rates! They treated me right at a most stressful time.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

We have had this policy for 13 years, covering our US home while we live overseas. The original agency has changed, and the new agency has always had to be contacted by telephone. We could speak only to a clerk, and found that updated information about the property was not reflected in the policy documents, that there was no adjustment to the premium, and that now that we wish to change to monthly payments while the property is on the market, we cannot bypass the incompetent agency and work directly with our policy online. Computer troubleshooting indicates our computer is properly configured, but the Auto Owners site is simply not responding. Using the agency's contact details, I had to use 'get a quotation' to register my request for help. I have heard nothing from them. I now have no recourse except to telephone the bank and cancel a standing order, and search for a new insurer online.

Original review: June 30, 2017

Worst insurance company ever. We had it for 2 weeks, after being insured by another insurance company for over 4 years, and it was revoked due to 'the risk being unacceptable for coverage'. I looked into new home and auto insurance after the cost for auto insurance increased substantially after our daughter started driving. I was pleased with the quote from Auto Owners and we cancelled our old insurance after we accepted the quote from Auto Owners. Two weeks later, we received a cancellation notice due to a delinquent payment. I immediately called our insurance agent. We had paid the quoted premium. Our agent informed me that it was not due to a delinquent payment, as stated in the correspondence. He said that it was being cancelled due to an exterior inspection. I was shocked. The claims made in the 'inspection' were ridiculous.

We were advised to make the suggested alterations in order to obtain the insurance. In the meantime, our mortgage company would put their own, much more expensive insurance in place. We hammered the ONE lifted nail in the roof, sprayed a small amount of algae off some siding, and rebuilt the deck railing that we had intentionally removed because I wanted a better view. We were still denied coverage and have been rejected by other insurance companies because of the 'revocation'. We have NEVER had such a HORRIBLE experience. We have owned several homes in the past, all of which were worse off than our current home, and have not ever had these issues. I would HIGHLY recommend staying far away from this company.

Original review: June 13, 2017

My wife was backed into in the parking lot of the Holiday Oil station on 12300S, Draper, UT. The police were called, but we were told they no longer take police reports in "private parking lots". The whole accident occurred directly in front of Holiday Oil's security cameras, and was able to be captured, and put on a separate memory stick that we could use for arbitration.

The opposing side who is not admitting any fault, had their adjuster get there within 3 days. Our adjuster made some phone calls, but never went to get a copy of the video tape from Holiday, who erased the month of April at the beginning of May. Leaving us with no visible proof as to what really happened. The case was sat on for 33 days until I went to their office, and asked why they didn't go 14 blocks away and get a copy of the video when we made the claim. Our case was assigned to an adjuster, who did little to nothing at all, then I again went to their office to ask why??? The case was then given to the supervisor, then the manager. Still nothing. They haven't even filed for arbitration. So we are left holding the bag of responsibility.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I would have thought that when someone hits your car from behind, their insurance would cover it. I received a rejection letter from Auto Owners. I think the game is they reject as much as possible and hope you don't have ins. that will go after them. I was mindful enough to contact my ins. immediately next step is to contact Utah Division of Ins. (801) 538-3800 and BBB of Utah. Should my ins. for whatever reason lose in arbitration, my next step will be to take the driver to court so they will be forced to defend him. I am sure this won't change their practice but they won't walk free.

Original review: May 26, 2017

We have only been an Auto Owners customer for 6 months and we switched to them because they gave us the same benefits of our former company but cost much less.

Original review: May 25, 2017

A local lawn maintenance company weed whacked next to my parked car. There were rocks everywhere all over my parking lot and grass fragments covering the entire side of my car. I contacted the lawn company, and they gave me their insurance contact, the Auto Owners Insurance. I contacted the insurance main office, and a report was taken, and I was to be contacted by their local adjuster to schedule an appointment to assess the damage.

After a week of not hearing from anyone, I contacted the Auto Owners Insurance company again only to get a runaround. Been told that they had no record of my claim. It took another call to the Auto Owners Insurance and this time I was transferred to the local agent who apologized for not contacting me. He stated that he must have taken down my telephone number wrong.

The adjuster did finally make it to the crime scene only to walk around pretending that he was holding a weed whacker telling me that he did NOT see how it may have possibly thrown anything out because there is a guard on the gas-powered whacker. Never mind the fact that I've shown him pictures taken immediately after the incident.

The Auto Owners Insurance agent did NOT even have a business card, and he left telling me that he will have to "check" with his boss and the insured so that they can debate whether the rock chips on the side of my car and my windshield happened as a result of their insured negligence. The best part of the entire horrible experience was when the Auto Owners Insurance agent advised me that unless I had a video showing the rocks flying they will likely deny this claim. Readers beware! The Auto Owners Insurance company is a complete joke. Unprofessional from the very first moment I contacted them to the very end. The worst insurance encounter I've ever had in my life!

Original review: May 21, 2017

I had Auto Owners Insurance for years and they were horrible. They just took my money and as soon as I filed a claim they dropped my coverage.

Original review: April 18, 2017

Beware of choosing Auto Owners. Adjuster was not helpful at all. My roof was damaged by high winds in March. Roofing company tarped it so no damage to inside of house. Inspector was a week later and never took a look under tarp. I was promised a reinspect after a repair only was determined with no real first inspection. Took five weeks of back and forth with Todd (adjuster) saying best he can do is $1000 minus $500 deductible and $500 tarping. I have $9 to fix my roof! Nice Insurance/stay away from them!!!

Original review: March 28, 2017

This is in regards to an accident that happened Dec. 15 and still has not been settled. Westbound I enter the right turn lane going into Sullivan with my turn signals on. Anyone knowing this area knows it is a right turn lane only. Waiting on traffic to clear I look in my rearview mirror to see a car approaching 17 yr old insured with Auto Owners. She wanted to just leave the accident but finally called her mom. Police were called and she said she thought I was turning left. I get a report saying she is not at fault. I called the claims woman and asked if she knows how to read because my police report says she is at fault improper passing on the right. I think they all know she was trying to beat traffic. When I called to check on my claim they had her involved in another accident with a? Yes my insurance will pay but can't stand for this scum bag insurance company to win again. Filing in small claims court.

Original review: March 24, 2017

Strongly advise against Auto Owners Insurance Company. When it comes time to make a claim their adjuster will work against you. The insurance agent (ours happens to be Fethke Insurance Agency in Muskegon) is apparently of no help despite how wrong the adjuster may be. It's bad enough when two 86 year old, handicapped people have to leave their house for three weeks because of water damage and the adjuster is fighting on paying for out-of-the-house stay, electrical work.

Trust me, it is not worth buying any insurance from Auto Owners or anybody else if they are using Casey ** as their adjuster. He seems to be quite biased and wants his own contractors to quote on things but they won't do it unless you pay them. Almost sounds illegal to me. This is very frustrating! Had no previous insurance claims on this company and the first one is a nightmare. Avoid the nightmare. Do not buy Auto Owners insurance or anybody else that uses Casey ** as an adjuster. You will regret it!

Original review: March 13, 2017

I was rear ended and fighting for the other insurance to claim liability. Auto Owners was going to repair my truck and file an arbitration with the other insurance company. It has been a nightmare starting from the adjuster providing an incomplete quote and trying to deny some of the damage as if it didn't happen from the accident when in fact it absolutely did. Then a denial letter from Auto Owners with a list of false statements and inaccurate facts that can be visually proven. I always thought that I was supposed to have my vehicle repaired to the same condition as was before the accident. These guys are great if you don't have to use them. Get a real insurance company!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

Good for those of you that have never had a claim with this insurance company. It is difficult to judge unless you have had a loss such as a tornado. My husband and I have been through hell for 3 and a half years with this company for a total loss. They turned the claim over to their attorney because they did not want to pay the limit of the insurance which we were entitled to. We had to hire an attorney. We are senior citizens and should not have to go through a nightmare to have them honor the policy. I would be sure to look at your policy in detail if you do have a claim. The agent was absolutely worthless.

They will not honor the policy I promise. One person had to have their home condemned before they would deal in good faith. A little late to call it good faith. I would never recommend this company!! Dealing with them has been worse than the tornado itself. Why should anyone go through this with an insurance company to replace a home after losing everything. The person that had his home condemned had a good agent but it was the company itself that refused to acknowledge the extent of the damage. Please take my warning seriously. Auto Owners the problem people!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I was not at fault in an accident and the company paid out $523.00. Customer service is top-notch. Also, the premium is decent. I shop each year and am unable to beat their rates.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

Auto Owners was recommended to me by an agent because it was the lowest price for general liability. I have never had a claim (thank goodness), but my dissatisfaction started when my bank sent a new chip card to me in August 2016 that impacted my auto-payment with Auto Owners. No communication, no support - just automated cancellation and frustration following. They were quick to accept my past due payment but reinstating turned out to be another series of non-communication and wondering if I was even covered.

I switched to a new carrier immediately and confirmed I was paid in full so I could move on. THEN - they apparently audited my policy and sent me another bill for $113 labeled as "Your insurance has been canceled with a Balance Due. Failure to pay the amount due will result in your account being sent to a collection agency." When I called to see what this was about they said that they audited my account and I should have paid them more when I was a customer for the period of time I was covered so now I owed that to them! WTF!!! I can't imagine the hell I would have had to go through if I ever needed to make a claim with this kind of a company. RUN AWAY!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

My grandson had an accident (not his fault). We are insured by Auto Owners. His car was totaled. Within a little more than a week he received a check for the value of his vehicle before the accident. Although at first, the claims examiner offered a lower amount but I re-negotiated the amount to be more favorable. I do believe that only once I confronted my agent because I expected service which I felt I was being neglected. If I pay my agent the premium I expect them to go to bat for me with the company. I do not feel that I should have to deal directly with the company, otherwise, why have an agent.

Auto Owners Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Auto Owners Insurance is a regional insurance company that offers life, home, auto and business insurance to individual customers and corporations. They focus on providing local, in-person availability that creates a personal relationship with their customers.

• Independent Agency: Auto Owners is an independent agency that customizes quotes from a large network of providers to find the best choice for the individual customer.

• Reputation: Auto Owners is a multi-award-winning company that consistently receives the highest rankings for growth, stability and service.

• Stability: The company has spent 12 years on the Fortune 500 list. They remain one of the top national insurers in their respective divisions year after year.

• Customer Service: Customer service has been decentralized in a unique approach that focuses on creating more outlets where clients can interact with local representatives in person.

• Community Focused: With nearby offices, the company allows customers to keep their business local while being close enough to an office to visit in person for any related needs or questions.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky

Insurance Contributing Editor

Auto Owners Insurance Company Information

6101 Anacapri BLVD

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Let's talk

ConsumerAffairs ranks 562 on Inc. 5000 for 2017

Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.

The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.