2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.27/5

Cost-U-Less Insurance has home and auto insurance for California residents.

BOTTOM LINE

Customers of Cost-U-Less say they appreciate the lower premium costs. Positive reviews mention the flexibility that Cost-U-Less insurance’s connection to other firms brings.

PROS

• Coverage options for a variety of vehicles
  • High-risk policies available
  • Bundle deals available

CONS

• Some customers find the fees associated with accounts to be unpredictable
  • Only available in California

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Cost-U-Less Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cost-U-Less Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cost-U-Less Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

They overcharged me for 3 months on a SR-22. DMV notified me I didn’t need one anymore. Cost U Less informed me, they get in charge of canceling the SR-22 once it’s expired and I was not supposed to paid for it up to April 2020 and they continue charging me for no reason and they didn’t want to give me a refund. Worst company, worst customer service, worst training with employees and their managers are number worst as well. Instead of helping, they abuse of the customers. I can’t believe you guys are an actual business.

Original review: June 19, 2020

Liars,Thieves and poor Service at Freeway and Cost-U-Less. Customer Care Sucks! Troy quoted us $225 down and $87 a month undercutting his fellow Salesperson by $25 down. Troy then deducted the $225 from credit card before sending us contract. When we saw the extra $127 due in two weeks in said he thought he told us (3 people were told the same lie). We called Customer Care and 3 calls and about 3 hours on hold they said son shouldn’t have online signed contract and we %}^^{ pound sand. They don’t care that their people lie and cheat their customers. They refuse to take care of Customers! Don’t go there!!!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I contacted Cost-U-Less Insurance and spoke to Troy **. I was told my policy deposit was gonna be 120 dollars to start and 30 days I would have payments of 74 dollars. 2 weeks later they charge my debit card without my permission and say that I owe them 200 dollars still and I agreed to that. I was lied to and deceived by their company. Never will I recommend to anybody.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I called for a quote for auto insurance and a SR22. Spoke with Glenda in the Los Banos office. She was very helpful. I currently have auto insurance but they do not offer SR22. Glenda made everything so easy. Was patient with me. Very informative. Explained the way it worked, all cost associated and how they can even send everything to me via email. I can't say thank you enough and keep up the great job. Sincerely Lettie **.

Original review: July 5, 2019

This company may offer you a lower monthly payment. However their Brokers fees are through the roof and even if you cancel your policy before 2 weeks they will still charge you $300 in Brokers fees on whatever method of payment you gave them. And will no longer offer you a policy if you cancel. I've never heard of refused service and refused a refund! I understand prorate and have no issues with that. My confusion is simply how do they charge $300 this month for a policy I canceled last month and refused a refund! This probably happens often enough that they charge ridiculous fees just to keep the lights on..because I cant see how a company like this stays in business without changing people for a policy they dont have and then refusing to give the money back!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I went to the Cost-U-Less store on Florin Rd. Sacramento. Was unsure of the company. Agent Anna **, was very knowledgeable and understandable to my situation and explained everything in detail, gave great customer service, went over and beyond to make sure as a customer I was satisfied with the product that I purchased. Great job Anna. Keep up the good work and thanks for everything.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I got a quote online through Cost-U-Less Insurance for $59.58 per month. When I got to the Yuba City office with my printed quote the agent said my monthly payment would be $160 per month and this is without any broker fee. This is bait and switch/false advertisement. I called the complaint line 1(800)960-0036 and all the person wanted to do is dodge around my complaint. Cost-U-Less will not honor my online quote of $59.58 per month.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I recently called to change the vehicle on my policy to my new vehicle. I was told that I had to go into an office and bring the vehicle. I did and I was quoted by Pac Star $44/mo and was told this would start the following month. I signed the paperwork and paid for my current month, but when I received my bill, my next monthly payment was $79.15. I have called Pac Star and Cost-U-Less and no one could help me or explain. After over 10 years, I am now looking for a new policy since they would not honor a price they had given me and I thought I was signing for.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Few months before my renewal date, I got the head up on renewal amount and monthly payments to follow. Irritated that my premium seems to go up every time I renew with no claims filed. I closed out a bank acct that payments were being debited from, but I was manually making payments online from my new bank. My fault for not enrolling into the EFT, so they attempt to debit a closed account and my policy got canceled and charge the $27 NSF fee. I sent in my payment with fee and they reinstated my policy. To my surprise on my renewal, my premium jumped up to $680!

The pink slip that comes with my benefits says, "your auto ins premium has been adjusted to reflect the rates recently approved by the insurance dept. Some policyholders may see their premium increase while others may decrease or stay the same". REALLY? I called them to ask why, and they used the excuse that I missed a payment. After telling the rep that all fees have been paid, she says I should give it a few days for the policy to be finalized. The day before yesterday shows $500+ due by April. Yesterday showed $200+ due by April. Today shows $500+ due by today! WTH... Smh! I'm so done with this insurance. I'm in the process of searching for another before the end of the month so I can submit my 14 day notice of cancellation. This insurance is a Joke! They'll rob you in any way they can!

Original review: June 20, 2017

The worst insurance company I have ever experienced. This company is a broker. The premium was OK, about an average, however there was a broker fee. My case was $245 (not refundable). It added to the total amount of the premium. When I reviewed the final paper before sign, the amount was higher than what I've expected. Therefore I decided to decline the offer. The shocking news was the total amount had been already charged to my credit card without my final signature. I complained hardly, but the customer service was not responding. Finally I called the Progressive Insurance Company which Cost-U-Less had bought insurance for me. I've got refund the premium from the Progressive Insurance Company. That was my first and the last experience with the Cost-U-Less Insurance.

Cost-U-Less Insurance Company Information