Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
1.29/5

Cost-U-Less Insurance

Cost-U-Less Insurance has home and auto insurance for California residents. The company is not a verified partner of the InsuraMatch program. InsuraMatch can give quotes from all their partners in just 10 minutes when you call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Customers of Cost-U-Less say they appreciate the lower premium costs. Positive reviews mention the flexibility that Cost-U-Less insurance’s connection to other firms brings.

PROS

• Coverage options for a variety of vehicles
  • High-risk policies available
  • Bundle deals available

CONS

• Some customers find the fees associated with accounts to be unpredictable
  • Only available in California

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Cost-U-Less Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I called for a quote for auto insurance and a SR22. Spoke with Glenda in the Los Banos office. She was very helpful. I currently have auto insurance but they do not offer SR22. Glenda made everything so easy. Was patient with me. Very informative. Explained the way it worked, all cost associated and how they can even send everything to me via email. I can't say thank you enough and keep up the great job. Sincerely Lettie **.

Original review: July 5, 2019

This company may offer you a lower monthly payment. However their Brokers fees are through the roof and even if you cancel your policy before 2 weeks they will still charge you $300 in Brokers fees on whatever method of payment you gave them. And will no longer offer you a policy if you cancel. I've never heard of refused service and refused a refund! I understand prorate and have no issues with that. My confusion is simply how do they charge $300 this month for a policy I canceled last month and refused a refund! This probably happens often enough that they charge ridiculous fees just to keep the lights on..because I cant see how a company like this stays in business without changing people for a policy they dont have and then refusing to give the money back!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I went to the Cost-U-Less store on Florin Rd. Sacramento. Was unsure of the company. Agent Anna **, was very knowledgeable and understandable to my situation and explained everything in detail, gave great customer service, went over and beyond to make sure as a customer I was satisfied with the product that I purchased. Great job Anna. Keep up the good work and thanks for everything.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I got a quote online through Cost-U-Less Insurance for $59.58 per month. When I got to the Yuba City office with my printed quote the agent said my monthly payment would be $160 per month and this is without any broker fee. This is bait and switch/false advertisement. I called the complaint line 1(800)960-0036 and all the person wanted to do is dodge around my complaint. Cost-U-Less will not honor my online quote of $59.58 per month.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I recently called to change the vehicle on my policy to my new vehicle. I was told that I had to go into an office and bring the vehicle. I did and I was quoted by Pac Star $44/mo and was told this would start the following month. I signed the paperwork and paid for my current month, but when I received my bill, my next monthly payment was $79.15. I have called Pac Star and Cost-U-Less and no one could help me or explain. After over 10 years, I am now looking for a new policy since they would not honor a price they had given me and I thought I was signing for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cost-U-Less Insurance?

Original review: March 9, 2018

Few months before my renewal date, I got the head up on renewal amount and monthly payments to follow. Irritated that my premium seems to go up every time I renew with no claims filed. I closed out a bank acct that payments were being debited from, but I was manually making payments online from my new bank. My fault for not enrolling into the EFT, so they attempt to debit a closed account and my policy got canceled and charge the $27 NSF fee. I sent in my payment with fee and they reinstated my policy. To my surprise on my renewal, my premium jumped up to $680!

The pink slip that comes with my benefits says, "your auto ins premium has been adjusted to reflect the rates recently approved by the insurance dept. Some policyholders may see their premium increase while others may decrease or stay the same". REALLY? I called them to ask why, and they used the excuse that I missed a payment. After telling the rep that all fees have been paid, she says I should give it a few days for the policy to be finalized. The day before yesterday shows $500+ due by April. Yesterday showed $200+ due by April. Today shows $500+ due by today! WTH... Smh! I'm so done with this insurance. I'm in the process of searching for another before the end of the month so I can submit my 14 day notice of cancellation. This insurance is a Joke! They'll rob you in any way they can!

Original review: June 20, 2017

The worst insurance company I have ever experienced. This company is a broker. The premium was OK, about an average, however there was a broker fee. My case was $245 (not refundable). It added to the total amount of the premium. When I reviewed the final paper before sign, the amount was higher than what I've expected. Therefore I decided to decline the offer. The shocking news was the total amount had been already charged to my credit card without my final signature. I complained hardly, but the customer service was not responding. Finally I called the Progressive Insurance Company which Cost-U-Less had bought insurance for me. I've got refund the premium from the Progressive Insurance Company. That was my first and the last experience with the Cost-U-Less Insurance.

Original review: May 10, 2017

Tried multiple times to talk to someone about moving coverage to another vehicle after a total loss in a car accident and instead of covering me they transferred me to another agency in another area that wanted to charge another $200 broker fee. Is it legal to drop your coverage after an accident?

Original review: July 19, 2016

Cost-U-Less was very rude. Wanted me to start a new claim & I wanted to stay with my insurance company I already had! She told me my policy wasn't showing up in their files that I would have to start a new policy. I refused to & said I was going to call my insurance in front of them... she started talking in Spanish to her manager. They went back & forth in Spanish. She then got up & went to get a call log to start calling customers in front of me. I then walked out of Cost-U-Less & contacted my company & made a payment that they couldn't find... I am a ** woman & they continued to speak in Spanish no tell what they were saying!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2016

I called to request a cancellation because I had a new policy with another company and they gave me instructions to write a formal letter and send it to them. I made the simple mistake of not signing the letter and they continued to charge me without letting me know about the mistake. I called after the charge was made and it was already noted that the letter had no signature, so they knew about it but cared more about their money than me. I have never been treated like this in my entire life. Any other insurance company would have been willing to help me, which would make me want to come back and do business with them again, but not this one.

Cost-U-Less Insurance Company Information