Auto-Owners Insurance

Auto-Owners Insurance Reviews

About Auto-Owners Insurance

Auto-Owners Insurance works with independent agents to sell vehicle coverage policies, as well as home, life and business insurance. The company operates in 26 states, and it provides some discounted coverage and perks for its policyholders. It offers limited online support.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Ideal for students
  • Discounts available
  • Multiple types of insurance
Cons
  • Limited online support
  • Available only in 26 states

Auto-Owners Insurance Reviews

Stars Rating

• 13%
  • 87%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Owners Insurance?
    Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2023

I switched to Auto Owners insurance and was in an accident that was not my fault. My jeep was totaled and Auto Owners said they would handle the claims process. They refused to give me market value for my jeep - shorted me $5000, would not pay for aftermarket rim and tire on jeep that was destroyed and charged me a $500 deductible even though it was the other person's fault. Run from this company. They are rude and incompetent.

Claims HandlingStaff

Reviewed Aug. 11, 2022

Recently, our car was totaled in an auto accident 300 miles from home. We were contacted by an agent within a few hours who helped us through the entire claims process, from procuring a rental car to submitting a claim and receiving a settlement offer which we deemed very fair. The offer outlined the evaluation process and basis for the settlement proposal. We found our agent very accessible and customer focused. I would highly recommend Auto-Owners to my family and friends.

Coverage

Reviewed April 9, 2022

Sell you product that isn’t worth the paper. It written on denied a water sewer damage that has been latent that’s in their language. Tear is in the language but they someone else did so they're not responsible. No language stipulating third party causation not covered. Missing language. It’s not even ambiguous so should find in favor of insured.

Claims Handling

Reviewed Jan. 7, 2022

I had Auto Owners Insurance. The claims department is a nightmare! They lose paperwork, never tell you the truth, and Auto Owners Insurance would rather hire attorneys than pay you what they owe you! Auto Owners Insurance will drag you.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverage

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2021

Auto-Owners was rude from the very first phone call. Severe storm this summer resulting in roof damage to several homes on my street. Six houses directly around me have had roof replacements due to damage, covered by insurance. Auto-Owners sent an engineer who wrote a report that was insurance company friendly. This guy did not even lift the tarp to examine leak areas in the roof. He did not even look under the tarp which is in place to stop water from coming through my roof. There are half a dozen roof replacements on my street, and all were covered by insurance. Auto Owners has rejected my claim, without even evaluating the damage. Auto-Owners has not had a problem taking my money for the past 12 years, but they sure have a problem covering claims.

Heather

We have had the EXACT same experience with them. Our adjuster Taylor refuses to do her job. She will not answer a question or ever call/email you back. We are going to hire an attorney.

Reviewed Jan. 26, 2021

Regional Claims personnel Brook ** was very rude in dealing with my claim and when I called her out on her rudeness, she sent new an email back being even more rude. This was not my insurance company it was the person that hit me insurance. Hoping I never have to deal with her or this company again! Wow way to promote your company Brook! Think twice about having this company insure you!

PriceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2021

New pickup was hit by a deer. The truck should of been totaled. Repair cost were over $16,000. They did not replace all damaged panels and doors as requested by the body shop. They forced the body shop to repair a door. The agent lied to me about what the body shop requested and told me I would just have to live with it. Horrible company and insurance estimator. DO NOT do business with this company. There is a reason why they are lower cost and have tons of money in the bank. I am sick by having a new truck with a repaired door. The value of the truck has decreased significantly.

CoveragePrice

Reviewed Dec. 5, 2020

In April, 2020 I bought a townhome in Charlotte, NC. I got my homeowner's insurance through Auto Owners Insurance. I purchase this insurance because the Association had the same insurance for the complex. Three months later I had a water stain on the kitchen ceiling and learned that the 2nd floor shower pan had failed. I was charged more than $8,000 just by the company that came in with fans to dry the place out. The bathroom repair will cost more than $20,000. The insurance company covered NOTHING! They said the policy does not cover leaks. What could we possibly need insurance for? Would not recommend them to anyone.

Reviewed Nov. 21, 2020

We have not had any experience in regard to an accident with this auto insurance carrier. However, it was rated really well and recommended by our insurance consultant. Rates were good, so we switched.

Claims HandlingStaff

Reviewed Nov. 20, 2020

Even though I am an old lady, and was told by many friends that my car insurance would double once I reached a "certain" age, that has not happened. Of course I am grateful that I have not received any tickets, or have had any accidents in the last 10 years or so, so I cannot say how great this company would be if I did have a claim. However, based on the fact, as I mentioned before, that I have aged and my rates have not increased, I would be happy to recommend this company for car insurance.

Claims HandlingCoverageStaff

Reviewed Sept. 14, 2020

Never made a claim with A-O but I consider their charges for coverage high. Checked with another carrier this year and their charges were similar. The local people at the agency are friendly and helpful. Never delt with anyone other than the people in the local office.

Reviewed Aug. 31, 2020

Very people oriented staff. Understanding, compassionate. Great customer service. Claims department acts immediately to file claim, home visit if necessary and compensation is done very quickly. Customers take priority with them.

Price

Reviewed Aug. 30, 2020

Grossly overpriced. These people take advantage of silly no fault laws are in Michigan and they should be regulated. I am shopping my Insurance now and will dump this company as soon as I can. Auto Owners sucks.

Price

Reviewed July 2, 2020

I have a right front accident May of 2020 with a tracker which has push the left front wheel against the curb. It had a load humming sound. Took it to the auto dealer for repairs and was told my front wheel bearings were damaged. Auto-Owner Ins. paid for the the damage but they claim that wheel's bearings is not considered as damage is not related to the accident. It cost me to replace the damage front wheel bearings. It has only 18000 miles and they telling me the damage is not related to the accident???

Profile pic of the author.
    Verified purchase
    Claims HandlingPrice

Reviewed May 12, 2020

I was simply amazed at Auto-Owners Insurance. We have had them for almost 3 years now and everything seemed okay. Not great but Okay. We have never had a claim in any way and our driving records are spotless. But recently I received a slap in the face by Auto Owners serving their own self interest. While other insurance companies are giving discounts for Covid 19 and people driving less and businesses closing or working short hours. Instead Auto Owners decided to increase my premium by over $1,000. I don't know why nor do I know of any credible reason they would send me a rate increase. I feel like this is a just a business practice they feel like they can get away with. Send out a quote (me I paid the year upfront to save a couple hundred dollars) but then they keep sending invoices. A couple hundred here and there. The latest one was another $829. WHAT WAIT.. I paid the year upfront so I wouldn't be billed monthly.

I've never had a claim or any way to review how good they are when needed, just paying and paying more than even quoted. So our business has slowed but luckily. Not stopped or closed down. Our hours have been cut in half and as for employees we are a small family owned company with just my wife and I as employees. So 1st we had a $304. increase in March and NOW a $829. Increase in May. What's next Auto Owner Insurance? We appreciate all you have done for us with Covid 19 hurting business and dealing with higher rates for insurance.

Claims HandlingCoveragePrice

Reviewed April 14, 2020

Their adjusters are programmed to ignore claims for many weeks until the customer gets tired of waiting and deny just about everything in the claim normally covered in the policy. I wouldn't wish this company to anyone. We had our insurance for two cars as well as homeowners insurance with them for many years. I feel it was a total waste of premium for nothing. The adjuster Bradly ** didn't get back to me weeks at a time after the claim was submitted and at the end denied everything after telling me that get everything done out of my pocket to be reimbursed when the claim is approved. Save yourself the hassle when you most needed, stay away from Home Owners Insurance Company for Homeowners or Auto Insurance Policies. They are crooks to get your money only, they don't believe in paying claims.

Claims HandlingSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed April 11, 2020

I have used them for home, auto, boat, camper for at least 20 years. Had a few claims, that were handled fairly, no big premium increases as a result. I know I am not paying for over the top TV, radio, airplane banner, magazine advertising. If you don't like your agent, find another one. The agent does not pay the claims, but should at least be responsive and polite.

Claims HandlingCoverage

Reviewed April 9, 2020

I'm a customer of over 30 years and used to only have positive comments on this company. I notice other good USAA reviews don't appear to be reviewing auto injuries/medpay experiences. Yes, they pay car damage and the banking services I've had no issues with. However, this company farms out injury claims to "Auto Injury Solutions" who aggressively attempt to shut down claims. I had $50,000 in medpay and had to exhaustively fight for less than $10,000. They lost my business so they could save $2,000 which I paid out of pocket.

They also are on the vanguard in initiating state legislation to limit their medpay coverage to a year after the date of the accident. Woe be to someone with a serious ongoing injury from a car accident in Colorado for instance. They don't let customers know this; it's embedded on page 40 of my coverage. They explain that "we just pay for acute care and the customer can just use their private insurance after a year". We know acute injury can last well past a year. They used to be one of the best and now have plummeted in ratings from ten years ago. Unethical in regard to paying medpay. I am leaving the company.

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2020

Created a claim for an accident and later was informed my car was a total loss. Agent was extremely rude entire time. Was offered half of what it would take to replace my car and told “not my job to find what your car is worth”. Horrible attitude from several employees I spoke to.

Coverage

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2020

I'm going to be as brief as possible, I have a commercial truck policy. I have been with this insurance group for over 5 years. I have paid my policy on time, and have never had a accident until 7 months ago. Which was a fender bender. No major damage, no hospital visits, NOTHING! This group, brought my policy up 2,500.00 dollars, not to mention, also paying out 8500.00 dollars to the person hit, who was obviously looking to scam them. He himself was hit by a dump truck where his vehicle was totaled and car was totaled, 2 weeks prior, and I believe they failed to investigate that.

They put my policy in another tier, they lessened my coverage rate, and altered my amenities. They pretty much didn't give a **, about me, and the 5 years of solid consistency I'm thrown in a tail spin. Where is the protection? Where is the benefit? I could see if I was a holder of the policy for 1 year but 5 years and you have the audacity to say thank you for being a policy holder of 5 years.. I've been robbed.. And I failed to do research on the reviews of this company, I'm PISSED!

Reviewed Feb. 15, 2020

Filed a claim. 2 weeks later adjuster shows up. Week later received a call about claim. 3 weeks later they came up with a number. 3 months later received payment (less than what was agreed on). 2 weeks later they said the difference would be made up after went to auction. 2 months later went to said auction (never notified us we wanted to bid). Week later we found out. Summary they screwed us out of $6000.

Claims HandlingPriceStaff

Reviewed Feb. 5, 2020

Their client hit my car. Each case has one agent and you MUST go through that individual agent for that case/claim. The agent assigned to my claim was very negative and non responsive from the beginning. I tried for two weeks to contact her (again/still) to get a rental while my car would be in the repair shop. My discovery, after having to go through my insurance company, was that she was no longer with the company. That was very strange and inexcusable because her voice mail, which I had been leaving messages to, was still active and APPARENTLY NO ONE WAS RESPONSIBLE OR CARED. It appears they will leave you in the ditch if it cost them anything.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverageStaff

Reviewed Jan. 24, 2020

I have never had more problems dealing with an insurance company. First of all I work for a health insurance company and I know how to treat people with respect and I have an idea of how things work. I have been covered with them for 6 years and within the last year I was in two car accidents, both which were my fault and got a ticket for. I have never had a ticket or claim with them up until this year. Then I get a letter and they are kicking me off their policy. For what? Two claims? Isn't that what insurance is for?

And both times I had to deal with them in going over car repairs and who was at fault and even talking to them on the phone I always got the run around. Most normal insurances will just raise your premium but no. Instead they just flat out kicked me off. They always have the worst customer service any time I have called and are nothing but difficult to work with because I have claims. I will find a decent insurance who treats me with respect when I call instead of being rude to me because I have a claim.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverageStaff

Reviewed Jan. 16, 2020

This review is coming from someone who isn't insured by Auto Owners, but had to file a claim after an accident. Back on 12/29/2019, I had been backed into while looking for parking at a local mall by someone who was already in a spot. This person was insured by Auto Owners. The moment I saw the name, I had a gut feeling that I was going to get screwed over by them somehow. The claims process goes through rather easily and I manage to get my car into the shop with their estimate on 1/15/2020. As of writing this review, I've been actively contacting them to try and get the rental (which they said they'd handle) and my claim's agent has been avoiding my calls. I've left at least 4 voicemails by this point and no call backs whatsoever. Based on the other reviews I've seen, for the sake of both yourself and for those who you may end up trading paint with, do not use this company.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 16, 2020

Auto-Owners has by far been the WORST insurance company I have every had. Bad doesn’t even begin to explain them. We switched providers in 2018 due to our previous provider increasing rates. Our local insurance broker gave us quotes and Auto-Owners was significantly cheaper for an auto and home policy. We were initially concerned with the low price and the coverage/service we would get. Our broker assured us they were good so we trusted them and made the switch. Let me say, we quickly realized you pay for what you get and our broker was very wrong about Auto-Owners.

Shortly after signing up we got a notice from Auto-Owners saying our home policy would be canceled for non-payment. We have a mortgage and our insurance payments are handled by the. Never had this been an issue in the past. When I called our mortgage company they said they had never received anything from Auto-Owners. I called Auto-Owners and they said they sent it. Again, never has our mortgage not received a document or payment request for us from any of our previous providers. This was our first red flag but I chose to keep them and thought that maybe it was just a mistake. The problems started spiraling from that point. Unfortunately we had 2 claims with Auto-Owners in less than a year due to no fault of our own. One claim was a tornado and the other was a vehicle accident where someone ran a light and hit me.

The tornado happened first. I was initially quite impressed with the thoroughness and the quickness of filing the home owners claim. We had the claim filed, a rep assigned and an adjuster our all within 5 days. It was quick. Our rep for Auto-Owners seemed like she was going to be awesome until there was a discrepancy in the amount they were paying for damage. The moment I told her I wasn’t agreeing to the amount is the moment her switch flipped.

From that point on she was extremely combative, she lied, she had us get different appraisals out just to then tell us that what was being appraised wasn’t in our policy Why even waste our time or the specialist time for something that wasn’t in our policy? Just do your job and tell us that from the beginning! She was so awful that our local broker got involved and they were shocked by her customer service and attitude. Our broker told us that was completely out of character for Auto-Owners and that we were working with the catastrophic dept, which they rarely work with and we hopefully wouldn’t have to work with again.

Never did a manager or anyone higher up from Auto-Owners call me despite this being escalated to leadership. It was clear that customer service in this dept wasn’t a priority. At renewal our auto policy jumped up quite a bit (seemed higher than usual increases). Then in December I was in the vehicle accident. I wasn’t at fault but was legally advised to file with my insurance company and let them do the fighting with the at fault party. I followed this advise. Again, filing the claim and the quickness of having an adjuster out was impressive. Like the last claim, after that it went down hill... again!

We were satisfied with the total loss amount they were giving us so we accepted the offer. We owned our car so followed the instructions given by the Auto-Owners rep to send our title to them. I was assured a check would be cut the same day they received the title. They also took our rental car away 3 days after giving us our offer total (this was Christmas week). We had to go purchase a new vehicle on Christmas Eve and we’re out a significant amount of money until we got our check. A couple weeks went by and still no check (I gave it extra time for the holidays before following up). When I called I was advised that they never received the tittle. I later found out that our Auto-Owners had given me the WRONG zip to mail our title! He gave me the zip to his physical office not the zip to the PO Box where the title is mailed. HOW DOES THIS EVEN HAPPEN?! Now our title is lost in the mail!

I called his manager and our broker again escalated it. Like the last claim, no one in leadership has contacted me to apologize or offer any assistance. It is evident that customer service is not a priority in the least bit for this company. Another point to note with Auto-Owners policies is what they don’t cover in the actual vehicle. They cover $200 total for everything in your vehicle- EVERYTHING! We had 2 Britax car seats that couldn’t be used again and only $200 was covered for those- we were Automatically out over $500 just for those. Thankfully the at fault policy covers much more than Auto-Owners and is reimbursing us for the car seats (minus the whopping $200 Auto-Owners gives).

Lastly with this claim, I was told my Auto-Owners would be filing with the at-fault insurance provider. That was never done. I had to file with them which ended up being 2 weeks late because Auto-Owners failed to do their job and what they advised me they would do. At this point (over a month later). 1. We still haven’t received payment for our total loss vehicle so we are out a substantial amount of money since we had no choice but to purchase a new vehicle. 2. We still have not received payment for the car seats from Auto-Owners despite the receipts being sent over a month ago. We have received the difference in car seats from the at fault insurance company (Erie insurance) even though that claim was filed over 2 weeks after the Auto-Owners claim. 3. We had to pay for a duplicate title now we’re just waiting for that. 4. Still no one from leadership had called me or even acknowledged this significant rep error.

Please STAY AWAY from Auto-Owners. They are awful. Sure they are cheaper but I assure you there is a reason why! You definitely pay for what you get. There is zero customer service and support when you file a claim and you’ll be lucky to even receive payment in any sort of timely manner. We will gladly be paying more for new more reputable providers from this point on.

Claims HandlingCoverageStaff

Reviewed Jan. 7, 2020

Had these clowns for insurance for years with NO claims!!! Paid them nearly $100,000 over the years... all profit for them. This year they renewed the insurance, accepted payment of premium IN FULL, then cancelled the same day with no explanation besides...."not within our portfolio appetite at this time." We had to start the process over cold with 24-hours to find and bind insurance. Then, they failed to refund our several thousands of dollars meaning we had to cover twice the money and file chargeback with CC company. We have put Auto Owners on our prohibited vendor list. The agent (CAPINSURE) is not much better... starting not my fault. But is it your responsibility? Our fault? We will go elsewhere, thanks!

Claims Handling

Reviewed Nov. 21, 2019

Beware.... A tree branch fell on my son's car that was parked in our driveway. John ** of Auto-Insurance stated "they had not received prior notice that the tree branch was dead and therefore deny our claim." An arborist came and observed the tree, said it was alive. How am I supposed to tell them ahead of time that a tree branch was going to break off and fall on my son's car? I am worried that I need to inform them now that I might get in a car accident, before I actually do.... just to make sure they know upfront that it might happen. WHAT A JOKE? Go elsewhere, it will be worth the extra money. Sincerely, Chad **

Staff

Reviewed Nov. 14, 2019

I had an accident and totaled my car. I drove 45 minutes to give them the title and they said I could pick up the check at the same time. Needless to say I needed the money to buy another car. The next day I took it to my bank and they said there would be a 7 day hold so I went to Bank of America which is the bank it is drawn on. Hoping to cash it so I could deposit cash ins it would be available. Well I was informed by Bank of America there was a note not to cash it. After a couple of hours of my agent yelling at them they said it would be fine the next day. Well same story the next day.

So needless to say they have my title but I don't have my money. So late this afternoon they did an electronic transfer to my checking and it said 1 to 2 business days. I am not holding my breath. My next step is to get an attorney. I am fed up playing their games. I think they thought since they are dealing with an elderly person they could screw around. Well they picked the wrong person to mess with..

CoverageStaff

Reviewed Oct. 29, 2019

I can't understand who would give this company a 4 or 5 star, must be employees or agents that work for Auto Owners. My son was t-boned by someone who is insured with Auto Owners 3 months ago and the company still has not paid for the repairs. I finally got fed up with their delay tactics and turned it over to my ins. co. so we could get his car back on the road. I had to pay my deductible but was told by my ins. co. I would be reimbursed after they pay which could take 6 months or more!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2019

Extremely frustrated and disappointed this morning. I called to schedule my car to be towed to my car service because I couldn't get my car to turn on this morning. The guy took my car to the wrong dealer, after I called them three times beforehand and told them he is making weird turns and I don't think he's taking the car to the right place. After the customer service representative rudely told me to not worry that the car is being taken to the correct service, I waited a few more minutes and my car was nowhere to be seen. I called them again, come to find out that he had indeed taken it to the wrong service and unloaded it. I then had to wait for him to load it back up and take it to the correct service. I wasted 2 hours this morning when the whole situation could have been resolved in half an hour had the driver just taken it to the right spot. Definitely won't be using this service again.

Auto-Owners Insurance Company Information