Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Allstate Auto Insurance
3.76/5
Based on 1,432 ratings submitted in the last year

Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate sells auto, home, renters, motorcycle and life insurance. Allstate isn't an InsuraMatch partner at this time. To get multiple quotes all at once in less than 10 minutes, call InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Allstate is the third leading car insurer in the U.S. serving all 50 states with a massive network of local agents and 3,500 repair shops. Its financial strength ranges from good to excellent. Many customers are satisfied with Its auto claims servicing. It carries a range of coverage options and discounts.

PROS

• Excellent financial strength to meet its claims obligations
  • Discounts include new car, multiple policy, smart student, anti-theft device and anti-lock brake discounts
  • A leading car insurer in the United States
  • Offers Allstate eSmart, EZ pay plan, FullPay, early signing, responsible payer, accident forgiveness, deductible rewards and Safe Driving Club discounts
  • Above average rating on claims satisfaction

CONS

• Some customers experienced occasional premium increases
  • Prices are slightly above industry average

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

1932 Allstate Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've had Allstate for many years now, at least 10 years. One of my main complaints with Allstate is that my rates increase every year and I have to call in and threaten to drop my policies in order to prevent the premium increase. Customer service is usually good but it is still annoying having to play that game every year. In terms of claims I've found that Allstate was surprisingly easy to work with. I've only had one claim which came from hail damage and I was definitely satisfied with the ease of submitting a claim and the amount I was given.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I bought a car from my brother and we weren't sure how to go about transferring the title and whatnot. Also I had to get my insurance transferred from my Nissan to the Mazda I was buying from my brother. I called Allstate and they explained to me everything I needed to do from going to the DMV with the papers (and what papers, what needed to be signed by who). They were extremely helpful. And they got the insurance transferred from one car to the other. Extremely grateful for their help.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been a customer of Allstate for over ten years. They have done so much to help me during that time in terms of keeping my coverage well suited to my needs and helping me when I've had questions or needs. Having a local agent has also made a great deal of difference for me in helping with problems that I've had. We had a recent claim and the price of our policy went up. I wasn't very happy about it so I started looking to change and my agent helped fix the problem by finding a way to adjust the policy to minimize the cost of the increase.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have had Allstate as my auto insurance provider for almost ten years. Overall, the company has been great to me. The policy isn’t expensive and the price has actually gone down over the last few years. The customer service is wonderful and I can get help easily by calling or going online. I had a claim a year or two ago and it was an easy process. I had a check not long after the claim was verified and processed. I recommend Allstate to anyone looking to buy auto insurance or switch providers.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I've been using Allstate for a while now and they have never let me down. They're so great that I actually recommend them to my whole family and even friends. I feel like they have great coverage and their prices are better than its competitors. Their customer service is phenomenal. I remember having problems and giving them a call to ask them about it. Their workers are really friendly and polite. I got my answer and they even provided me with extra information that I didn't need. Overall, I have had nothing but positive experiences with this company and I will continue to use them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Original review: June 19, 2019

I was hit in the back of my car on a parkway by a driver who had Allstate as their insurance. The rear bumper of my Mercedes C300 was damaged as well as the trunk, brake lights and rear quarter panel. Allstate told me get a rental car, take pictures of my car and send it to them through their app. They looked at the photos and decided the damage would be $1000. I took the car to the body shop and the shop said they found more damage. They sent the new quote to Allstate and now it’s been about three weeks since my car was in the shop.

Allstate is refusing to pay for the rental saying it is a shop delay. The shop says they are waiting on Allstate to send an adjuster to look at the damages. In the meantime I am still waiting on my car to be fixed and having to deal the the rental car. I can't believe Allstate is refusing to pay for the rental and the shop is still waiting for an adjuster to come out almost a week later. ALLSTATE IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST. I’ve had issues with them in the past and they have not gotten any better.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I switched to Allstate a couple of years ago. During these two years I've been harassed on more than one occasion asking me to provide them additional info about licensed drivers in my household. I told them during my renewal and over the phone multiple times, that the only other person in my household does NOT have his license. However that doesn't stop them from sending me letters titled "Auto Insurance Policy update" every few months asking about other drivers in my home. I've told them time and time again I'm the ONLY licensed driver but they don't seem to believe me. I'm considering canceling both my auto and homeowner's insurance due to this constant harassment.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I walked into an Allstate insurance agency near my home last month. I had been shopping for a company with better rates. They screwed up my application for homeowners after I finished the paperwork and paid for everything, and I find out a week later I am uninsured for my home!! Appeal process was initiated and a complaint filed. My mortgage provider was then sending letters to me to update insurance provider. Thanks a lot for causing a lapse in my coverage Allstate! I should have not shopped around as I have had a month of headaches trying to figure out Allstate's screw up. Their office closed 2 weeks later which didn't help me either! No way to talk to the agency who messed everything up now. I'm now with a more reputable company, thank goodness.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Was a little miffed that Allstate wanted us to fight the ticket even though the court was waiving points and fees. Then we had to go back to court because the gal wasn’t getting the money to fix her car from Allstate. That made us liable. Then the lawyer told us that Allstate never wants to pay. So that was enough, I changed insurance companies as fast as I could.

Original review: June 6, 2019

God forbid you get into an accident with one of their insured! One of theirs pulled out in front of me and hit me and this horrible insurance will not pay for any of my damages!!! The insured lied and now my car will not get fixed! Worst insurance I’ve ever dealt with in my life!!!

Original review: June 4, 2019

I was rear ended by an Allstate insurance holder and getting my vehicle fixed was very unprofessional. Firstly my vehicle was in driving condition so I drove it to Allstate recommended body shop, the body shop quoted below the limit of repairs but then Allstate forced them to consider different aspects to increase the repair cost and this totaling it. When I questioned the body shop they said, "We can’t lose business from an insurance company just for 1 vehicle." I insisted to take my car to a different body shop but not Allstate denied assembling the car parts back thus making it non-drivable.

When the car was towed to a different body shop obviously they included the body assembling charge now I was in a situation where my car wasn’t drivable so this they totaled it. I was also dealt with very rudely by Allstate. They just wanted to total the vehicle and made direct deposit to my account even without my consent. For a minor bumper scratch they totaled my vehicle. Shows their MALPRACTICE LEVEL, to add to it they were very rude to me.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I had a bad experience with the Agent who wrote my auto policy. He was rushed, not knowledgable. And lied to me about my downpayment on the policy. They deducted way more out of my account for the initial downpayment and over drafted my checking. I had to get the bank involved to reverse the fees. But overall I am pleased with my auto policy price.

Original review: May 28, 2019

The front end of Allstate? Excellent! My agent has always processed requests same day! Sadly I suffered a total loss on my car. And a $50,000+ Medical bill. Getting Allstate to agree on a value for my car was problematic, they use 3rd party companies, and my adjuster said my car was average. A 2015 Corvette with 11000 miles average? With nothing but Chevrolet dealer services with Mobil 1? Not so much.. There wasn’t a scratch on the car before the accident, he claimed he couldn’t get inside the car but I did, to get my glasses and the interior could be seen as perfect. As for the medical, it took me from February to the end of June to have them release their $5000 as the primary, my adjuster Velma ** was all but useless. I am severely disappointed and don’t feel like I have been in good hands at all. They are great... until you have a claim.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Auto accident in April 2018 and has still yet to be settled.. Three agents later, my injury claim has been ongoing with no end in sight.. Thoroughly disgusted with Allstate at this point! This accident was their client's fault!

Original review: May 28, 2019

The agent Daryl ** from Allstate is a liar. Somehow our policy was changed and now they were not paid for collision on my vehicle which was totaled. Allstate has been a nightmare to deal with. They told me to take him to Attorney General and put a claim in.

Original review: May 27, 2019

My Corvette got hit from the front and back in March of 19’. The people's insurance who hit me would only pay half the damage and my insurance was supposed to pick up the rest. Allstate has been a nightmare to work with. The communication between my body shop and them is terrible. Both of my headlights need to be replaced and only 1 is being replaced with a non factory Chinese version! This is not acceptable. The car had factory OEM headlights before it got hit and they should be replaced with OEM. Instead they want to save money and get me something that I am going to have electrical issues with later down the road!!

My back bumper is also damaged and they won't pay to have the bumper replaced, just half painted. You can still see the indentions in it. I still havent had my car for 3 MONTHS and I'm paying insurance on something I can’t even drive!! I want my car fixed the right way and to look just like it did before the accident. I will NEVER recommend Allstate and will be cancelling my policy!! The WORST auto insurance company EVER! You have been warned!

Original review: May 26, 2019

I was in a accident with a driver who had Allstate. It wasn't my fault, but I knew how insurance companies don't like to pay out and was expecting Allstate to give me a hard time. Thankfully this wasn't the case however. Allstate took full responsibility for the accident and also provided me a rental car. In addition, they have been nothing but kind and understanding to me during the whole process. It's nice to know there are good people out there in times when you need them the most. Thanks Allstate.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I am not an Allstate customer, thank God, but I got rear-ended by someone with Allstate over 2 weeks ago in Charlotte NC. The experience I have had with trying to get an adjuster to look at my truck has been the worst I have ever had, not just with insurance companies, but with any company ever.

1. On the rental car, which I have been in now for 2 weeks with no end in sight, they agreed to pay for a comparable vehicle. My vehicle is a Nissan Frontier. At the last minute my adjuster told me I would be getting $19 per diem for an economy car so I had to make up the difference for a medium sized SUV.
2. Four Days after the Body Shop sent them a virtual assist, no adjuster has been out to look at my truck.

3. No-one tells you anything -- it's an endless runaround on the automated phone system that keeps returning you to the same place, my adjuster Amber ** is useless and never follows through on anything.

I have never had such a negative and frustrating experience with any corporation ever.

Original review: May 23, 2019

The reason why Allstate looks like it has high reviews on their website is because there is not actually a clear way to leave reviews. Steve ** in Scottsdale was my agent but I have never had contact with him. He put this women, Lori **, in charge of my policies that is not even on the Allstate website so I have no idea what her qualifications are. I have only been a customer for a few months and it has been nothing but hassle. She is completely unresponsive and when she has responded it is very unclear and when I specify I need more clarification she is rude.

Months ago I emailed and then called her and finally got a hold of her to discuss taking one car (that I sold) and my daughter off of my policy because she is 18 and will not be living at home anymore or driving at all. Lori said she would take the car and her off my policy and then never did. I have been trying to get a hold of her to get her off of my insurance so I can stop paying for no reason, but she never responded.

Finally I sent Steve an email saying I want a new agent or I would get a new company and he never bothered to respond, but Lori called within minutes of my email to Steve. Then she sent a very unprofessional email being rude and demeaning to me, saying she is taking it personal that I accused her of not responding, and outright lying about us never having the conversation to take my daughter off of my policy. She also said it is company policy to consider kids still a part of the household even if they are 18 and not living with you, so even though she won't be driving I have to keep paying them insurance. This is ridiculous. I will be switching to State Farm for all of my policies and telling everyone I know to get new insurance. This is uncalled for under any circumstance to be treated this way and be squeezed for the extra money and then be treated with such a lack of professionalism.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I file a claim for my windshield glass and requested the original manufacturer glass. I called and they said it was approved, but never received a call for an appointment. When I call they said it was not approved because my truck was from 2017. It literally took 6 weeks to find out, only because I was the one calling them. This is my first claim and should be approved and I pay a lot of money and they don’t want to pay the difference, this is unacceptable. Allstate never informed me that original glass gets approved only for new cars (2 years the most). Will start looking into other insurance companies and cancel my policy with Allstate.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I have been with Allstate since 2002 with my auto and when I purchased my first home in 2005. When I tried to file a claim in April of this year 2019 it was handled very poorly. Never did I think it would be such a headache. Here I am thinking I'm with the best. My claim was cancelled twice and I didn't even know. My claim was wind and hail damage. They said it would only cost 900 to fix some of the shingles so it wasn't necessary to use my ins. 2nd time after I found they closed it without I even knowing, they said 700. My contractor said there was no way he could fix it in pieces. The shingles were so brittle they would all break around. Anyways there you go paying all these years for nothing!! So make sure you do your research before you purchase with them because at the end of the day when it comes down to you needing to them replacing anything it's a no!!! Very upset customer and yes cancelled and moved to a different co.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Bad communication with customer. Her name is Nicole and not able to talk properly with the customer. What is the meaning to get insurance? Next time I am going to switch the insurance. I am trying to call last one week and everyone trying to send somewhere. My agent is out office. Her voicemail is full.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Almost six years ago I was in a car accident, from which I gained two badly herniated discs and needed brain surgery. I was insured under my dad's insurance. Apparently Allstate has a step-down clause, allowing them not to have to cover anything and walk away like bandits. Since I was 18 I have have struggled with so much pain, sometimes not even being able to move. But my insurance is would not pay at all. So be careful. Even though you have your own insurance, if you are in someone else’s car, Allstate will NOT pay for you. Now I have to live with all this pain forever and Allstate is just sitting back and sitting pretty.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Call for claim, says driver have no insurance. Allstate auto insurance policy holders hit my car from behind on expressway. He push my car to front car. My car completely damage. In police reports unit 1 have Allstate insurance. I call three days customer service said driver isn't insured by Allstate. Then said, "Maybe Uber. You call Uber." She give some fake number. Then I give up. I am taxi driver. I lost my business or job.

Original review: May 17, 2019

While buying our home, I looked everywhere for affordable insurance. We were buying a manufactured home on a foundation, so it was difficult to find something affordable. Finally, I was happy to hear from Allstate that they would insure our home for a very reasonable price. I informed them at least 3 times what kind of home it was and they assured me it was no problem. Then, before knowing a closing date, they told me I had to pay for the insurance policy that day to lock in the price.

I questioned them because why would I insure a home that was not yet mine? But they informed me that once it was paid for, I could change the effective date once I knew it. I spoke with 3 people about the effective date and they all said it would be too difficult to change so to just leave it in place. Whatever, I found affordable insurance. One week after closing, and 3 weeks after purchasing the policy, I got a phone call saying my insurance was being canceled due to my home being a manufactured home and I did not disclose that information. Also, they would only refund me the pro-rated amount. So I paid for 2 weeks of insurance on a home I did not own. I've since switched to Farm Bureau and it is more affordable and they cover more.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Worst company I’ve ever dealt with. They're liars that do not care about their customers. I was in AZ for a family emergency, while I was at the gym somebody hit my car in the parking lot at Planet Fitness. I filed a report, called Allstate to file my claim, I was assured on a recorded line from an Allstate claims specialist that the repair was set up and rental car back in Las Vegas when I returned home and that my deductible would be waived. When I dropped off my car to be repaired I was told that my deductible was still showing and that my rental car had not been set up. I was very clear that I needed everything ready and I could not be late to work. I ended up being late and written up.

I spoke with a manager as well as a corporate manager and they did nothing to help and talked down to me saying the agent should’ve known and there’s nothing they can do. They lie and do not honor what they tell customers. HORRIBLE company, choose any other insurance company instead of these crooks. Worst experience I’ve ever had with a company and even worse management and customer service. Would give 0 stars if it let me. My family and I will never do business with Allstate again.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I had a third party claim with All State and all I can say is this company is a complete nightmare to deal with in my opinion. I’m sure all insurance companies are the same but wanted to provide some of what I learned.

1. I was forced into using salvaged parts for your repair unless I paid the difference for Original manufacture parts. This means taken from a car that was likely totaled.

2. Make sure to file a diminished value claim to recoup the loss of resale value due to your vehicle. When your car is damaged it is reported on websites like Carfax, you will absolutely lose value and you are entitled in most states to be compensated for this loss for 3rd part claims. They will tell you it will take 7-8 weeks for them to get back with you. Get an appraisal and submit a claim. Then call 2-3 times a day until you get someone on the phone to address your claim. Make sure to do this as they want you to be exhausted and give up. If after you don’t get your claim moving aim an acceptable time frame. I’d suggest you start legal proceedings with your local small claims court. If you have injuries or other claims to make sure to talk to an attorney as any court settlement may affect your ability to future claims.

4. Don’t give up and understand the adjuster is there to make sure you get as little money as possible.

5. Know your rights, contact an attorney if you have substantial damages, are injured or don’t feel confident working with the insurance company. Dealing with this insurance company will only cause you undue stress.

I am not an attorney and this is only my opinion based on my experience. Make sure you get every penny you deserve!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I filed a claim one day after my accident. It is now 4 and a half months past my claim and my car is still nor repaired. Allstate is persistent in using used parts to repair my BMW where my auto shop reached out the vendor recommended by Allstate to secure the used parts and the parts are not available and/or damaged. Once my auto shop advise Allstate of the issue, it takes them a week to follow-up and/or at least 7 days to visit the shop once my shop advised on additional needs.

Not to mention: I met the first adjuster who came out to approximate damages and the Allstate's inspector never delivered the report where a 2nd adjuster completed the assessment--this event alone delayed repairs by two weeks. I reached out the office of the president and spoke to an irreverent representative who showed complete apathy concerning my experience while I pay money out of my pocket in addition to Allstate expectations of continued premium payments. I could go on and on... Please ensure companies appreciate your business and take heed of my experience with Allstate.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have had nothing but awful experience with Allstate and I have only been with them for 7 months. I got into a car accident March 21st of 2019 and still today it is not finished! And it’s almost mid May. I would be calling Allstate every day for almost 2 months straight and would continue to get different answers from every agent. No one knew what they were doing. Today I FINALLY got my check in the mail but they sent it out wrong and I can’t even cash it. They are now reissuing it for the 3rd time. Absolutely awful service. Once my check is cashed, this insurance will immediately be dropped. I still am without a car.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have been with Allstate 25+ years. I have never experienced the attitudes and rude behavior that is now evident in this office. I was inquiring on how to file a claim because I have never in 25 years done so. To be met with if you file a claim it will go against you even if we don't pay off. Then he went on to say we will not be able to get the coverage we have now again. Our insurance went up a total of $400 a year with no claims. Our vehicles are older and no reason for it. I was told because of state increases. Let me say the two ladies that have been there forever were extremely nice. The new young girl you need to put back at fast food she is lazy and rude. It is sad to say after all these years The owner is letting his business go down because he wants to pass it on to a child, that definitely needs world experience before taking on this business. I got triple the coverage at State Farm for less money.

Allstate expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allstate Auto Insurance provides quality protection across the United States. It allows customers to adjust limits and deductibles to find the right insurance policy without paying extra.

• Complete coverage: Allstate offers customizable coverage options that can be tweaked and adjusted in order to include specifics, such as personal injury, broken glass, towing, etc.

• Teen driving discounts: They offer discounts on teen drivers while many providers increase premiums for teen drivers, even those with clean driving records.

• Coverage for other vehicles: In addition to car insurance, Allstate offers insurance for boats, motorcycles and other vehicles.

• Local agents: Allstate has agents and brick-and-mortar offices in every state, which means you can meet with a representative face-to-face no matter where you are in the country.

• Drivewise app: They have an app that customers can download to track your driving habits and reward you for being safe behind the wheel.

• Best for: Drivers with clean records and teen drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky