Allstate Auto Insurance
2.33/5
Based on 222 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Save on Car Insurance - Compare Quotes

Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate sells auto, home, renters, motorcycle and life insurance. Allstate isn't an InsuraMatch partner at this time. To get multiple quotes all at once in less than 10 minutes, call InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

1738 Allstate Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 13, 2018

My vehicle was damaged. They didn't cover the damages. They took my payment. Gave me the runaround about when my payment would post giving them time to Bill me more as they lied and waited and then after that they cancelled my policy and kept my payment. Very unprofessional. Don't spend your money on this scam company. This has been a while. They still haven't returned any calls or money and that was also one of the lies that I would be refunded. How convenient that they couldn't post my payment until they cancelled my policy.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Had a small accident with their insured 26 days ago. This is minor repair, no injury, their driver admitted fault. Still waiting to be made an offer. Have been told they accept my claim but no rental car additions such as the fee I paid to CHP for a report, my time or mileage driving to get repair estimates, bring them reports, etc... How long could this take? And really for my time... I will just take their insured to court.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 11, 2018

On June 6th, 2018 my daughter and 2 year old granddaughter was hit head on by an Allstate insured. He was drunk and ran, a good Samaritan chased him and got his plate #. He was then arrested. After 3 adjusters and over a month of going back and forth Allstate finally accepted responsibility. We finally got a rental car on July 9th, 2018. They deemed my daughter's car a total loss and then offered over half under the value of the vehicle. They would not even consider deviating or negotiating a different payout. I have had nothing but a poor experience with Allstate. If I ever needed insurance I would not even consider them as my insurance company. I thought Allstate was the "in good hands" insurance company.

Original review: July 11, 2018

My granddaughter and I were involved in an auto accident in May 2018. We were struck by a vehicle that is insured by ALLSTATE. The driver of this vehicle came over into the lane of traffic that we were traveling in and struck our vehicle. This driver immediately admitted that she did not see us because she was having a conversation with a passenger in the vehicle she was driving. I was informed by the ALLSTATE Claims Adjuster approximately 1 week after the accident that the driver of the vehicle they insured was refusing to speak with him and that he was going to give her 30 days to decide to speak with him before he did anything with the claim. I had already explained that the vehicle belonged to my daughter and that she was employed and had to have a vehicle. The adjuster refused to provide my daughter with a rental and I was informed that if I was unhappy with this I should let my insurance pay for the damages.

My granddaughter was treated at a local Emergency Room. Since this accident it a struggle to get my 4 year old granddaughter into a vehicle which the ALLSTATE adjuster and his manager were made aware of immediately. The adjuster contacted my granddaughter's father on July 6 to inform him that he was going to give my granddaughter $150. Her father reminded the adjuster that it is still a struggle to get her in a vehicle and the adjuster told him he should get her some therapy. Her father asked the adjuster if was aware of how expensive therapy was and the adjuster told him he would throw in an extra $50. As people we should treat others with the same courtesy and respect that we wish to be treated with.

We're all human and accidents happen but if we create a difficult situation for others we should take responsibility and do everything in our to power to make the situation less difficult. If you are a person with any conscience at all this is just something to think about when choosing an insurance company. OUR EXPERIENCE WITH ALLSTATE HAS NOT BEEN ONE THAT WOULD MAKE ANYONE FEEL LIKE THEY WERE IN GOOD HANDS.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Worst company I have ever dealt with for auto insurance and customer service. I switched to Allstate and had nothing but problems with my auto insurance. Paid for 6 months up front and 2 months into my contract without notification it was canceled. Got a letter in the mail after the fact billing me for a new policy at a higher price. I called them and while they admitted my policy cancellation was an error on their part and was sorry their computer would not allow them to fix it.

Since their mistake caused a lapse in my insurance, I was stuck with their new policy at a 40 dollar higher rate. Due to my time and frustration, I paid for 6 months on the new/2nd policy. About 3 months into that, again, their billing goes crazy on me again. I get 2 letters in the mail. One tells me my first policy has been reinstated without interruption and wants me to pay the money that had been refunded to me when they canceled it. (But now I have the 2nd policy.) Second letters tells me my 2nd policy was canceled. (Balance had been refunded to my checking account.) I was not going to pay for overlapping coverage. So I contacted my agent again. She was nice and understood my problem but put the blame on their computer for not allowing her to correct it.

Meanwhile I went back to my previous insurance for coverage and just needed to sort out my/their billing problems. Things were not going well and then I get an email wanting me to take a survey to rate them. (Really?) Well I gave them the worst review possible and finally I got my problems resolved. So now in the end I have an apology in writing and by phone informing me the billing errors are solved. I will stay away Allstate in the future. I was not in good hands with Allstate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Original review: July 7, 2018

Do not purchase auto insurance with them!!! I purchased my car from a dealership that had one of their agents in house, I had insurance with another carrier but Allstate claimed it could save me money - they got me a "cheaper" policy to get me to leave and now the switch came. They changed my payment date without my knowledge, they changed my payment amount without my knowledge, canceled my policy without my knowledge and claimed I was a month behind. I literally have only been with them 2 months and I'm looking for another carrier! AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE, RIP OFFS, WASTE OF TIME AND MOST IMPORTANTLY MONEY!!!

Original review: July 6, 2018

Absolutely disgusted with this company. We were loyal customers for over 10 years then we recently switch because we saved $2000 with a different company. We received a bill from Allstate for $31 and didn't get around to paying it yet. It's only been 30 days. We now received a letter from collections. What a bunch if BS. They don't even send a warning. Most companies give 90 days and they'll warn you that they are sending it to collections. I will spread the word wherever I can on social media and word of mouth that this company is horrible.

Original review: July 1, 2018

25 years and a deluxe policyholder and proud Veteran here. I won't make a long story out of this but here it is plain and simply, This Allstate we joined is not and I quote (NOT) the same insurance company I thought I had! I filed a simple claim for some hail, they had a bill for the a/c unit for hail and lightning replacement, and paid for my truck as it was damaged also. They wouldn't pay for the a/c unit even though the contractor wrote on his bill that the damage was because of lightning! Another reason to (NOT) use them or leave them asap is the fact that they sent a young kid (not an Allstate adjuster) to my home as they subcontract out now to what I believe are loss prevention specialist that show up to make sure you are unhappy with their service. Talk about rude, this kid would not talk to us, he would not answer any questions and he was rude to my wife!!!

TAKE THIS REVIEW SERIOUS! DON'T GET CAUGHT UP WITH THE NEW (CORPORATE) ALLSTATE! I'm done with them, were hurt by them, we were treated miserable (we literally had to do the job for them), we were loyal, and we never missed a payment, you will get an office full of smiles and love but when it comes to working with the people outside of that office put your helmet and seatbelts on! Sincerely and God bless!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Just wanted to put out there how rude and running around they give once a claim is file against them. Spoke to claims agent. They could not give us a rental or car repaired until the agent made a liability decision. I let them know that all they had to do was pull up the police report and it would clearly state who had liability. Their answer, "We do not go by the police report. We make our own decision."

Original review: June 29, 2018

I have never had an issue with my local representative which is why I have kept them, but the claim I had to conduct 3 years ago has left a sour taste in my mouth on their overall service. Poor service for claims when you have been a loyal client for nearly 20 years. Local office representatives are good but when the need arises for what you pay for beware.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Allstate quick photo claim is BS. Their claim came out to 1/4 of the repair costs of one of the local repair estimates and less than 1/3 of the other quoted repair costs. We submitted the smaller cost but to Allstate but they refused the estimate. Their customer service is terrible as well. Their client re-ended my son and their initial response was an attempt to decline responsibility for the accident. I'm not generally the type to openly complain about a company to other people but they can count on me being extremely vocal about this. I think they should be compensating us for the extra runaround on this as well.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I had an accident on 5/6/18 and have full cover on my car. Car was “repaired” at an Allstate certified shop that had car for three weeks but when I picked up car it had a horrible sound, which shop and Allstate said was AC, "Go fix AC and if noise continues we will fix the car." Fix AC as stupid as that sounds. ($950) later car still has the noise. Allstate send adjuster to shop to look at car (David **). He did not look at car, did not listen to shop owner and I get a call repair is not covered because I did not take care of car, now repair is around $2700. I have been called a liar, treated like a criminal by him and he was a jerk to the shop owner too. I of course will cancel my policy and never ever go back to Allstate and I will be suing for damages to my car and all the emotional distress I am still going thru. The lack of integrity by Allstate and the feeling of big company against single woman is very upsetting but I will take it to the end.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My agent Doug ** was very helpful and I would recommend him. I got quick replies to my questions, he explained exactly what would happen next, and called me back twice with additional information that I needed.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I asked them to cancel my auto insurance because I was switching over after my six months. They send me a letter four months later stating they were charging me for the month I cancelled because they didn't get it in writing... "Why would you think I'm paying for a double policy" is what I asked them. They still sending me invoices, I wish they would fix it, I have proof of my new insurance. Customer service is clueless. Keeps telling me contact my rude agent. My agent was rude and I will never deal with them again. Seven months later and it's still not resolved.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I had put info on a site to check diff prices with different insurance agencies and I got calls at work from CYNTHIA at an Allstate location. I asked why she was calling my job, told her I never gave permission and that it was beyond rude. She said "well you should ask for insurance quotes online", then and hung up on me! She had the worst tone of voice when she said that to me. I was not able to get her info or her location info and I am beyond upset about this. DO not go on any site for a quote because they will contact you nostop and follow you where you live to send mail nonstop too. Her behavior was unacceptable. I will NEVER use Allstate after this little taste of "CUSTOMER SERVICE".

Original review: June 14, 2018

This company is the worst I have ever dealt with. Hidden fees, false advertisement and or leading the consumer. And if all that ain't enough then they lie to you and continue to change prices on you. I thought a contract was exactly that. The claim was fun and easy but what wasn't was not only the way I was treated afterwards but the craziness on how they run that department. Don't trust them and if you have to go through them make sure before you sign or agree that accident forgiveness and towing is included cause they don't tell you that they no longer provide that in the deal. It’s now an optional thing.

Original review: June 12, 2018

From the very first time I called them, they were very professional, and very friendly and helpful. My only gripe with Allstate is they continually run that commercial for a Reward Plan and that plan is not available in California.

Original review: June 11, 2018

DO NOT BUSINESS WITH THIS OFFICE OR ALLSTATE IN GENERAL. Go with Geico. Allstate, David ** and his employees are nothing but crooks and thieves. They charged me for a policy that I canceled a week prior to its renewal back in October 2017. The customer service lady, Loudie is just absolutely terrible at her job. I called and told her that I wanted to cancel my policy and she did nothing. She didn't return my phone calls and she never called me as she normally would to see if I were making a payment.

Allstate strategically neglected to provide me with costumer service so I would have to pay the balance on my now canceled policy. When I called corporate, I was treated with the utmost disrespect. Throughout the portion of my conversation with the representative named Linda and Beth (** = Employee ID) I asked them if they were aware that what they were doing was stealing, they said "Yes".

Original review: June 2, 2018

My previous insurer raised the premium to unjustifiable (on my opinion) level. So I started looking for better options keeping in mind the same limits as in my old insurance policy, and found that AllState's offer was the lowest one. But what struck me the most was the personal approach - the agent contacted me and continued working with me via emails and phone calls, until all formalities have been completed. When I called back, waiting time was minimal, and when necessary - they returned call after I left a message. This is just awesome!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I'm with Allstate over 30 years and never had an issue with claims or being dropped. My son was in an accident that was his fault and they paid over $5,000 to repair car immediately. The only drawback was an increase in premium when renewed which all companies will do. Eventually they reduced the premium each renewal and we are back to normal. I have compared with other major companies and they cannot compete with the rates I am getting for full coverage.

Original review: May 30, 2018

The untold reasons but you could be dropped from Allstate. I’m hoping that this would help another motorist when you’re out looking for insurance. If you’re getting a windshield replaced and the windshield company tells you if you have Allstate it’s free not true. If it’s a Hit and run that still counts Against you. Allstate will count that against you and drop you... Regardless of the situation If you file a claim it could be held against you and Allstate will drop you. Whether it’s the other driver's fault or not. Please be aware!!!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have been a customer of Allstate Insurance for over 20 years and have nothing but good things to say. They have taken very good care of my insurance needs. I like the plan, the insurance cost, and the representative who serves us. I am happy with the company.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I enjoy the fact that I can always get a hold of my agent. I also enjoy the quickness that they adhere to when I file a claim for reimbursement. However, I don't like the lack of being able to play with the coverage without having to contact the company or my agent though. I also am not a fan of the Drivewise program because I never get a bigger discount. But I have had excellent experiences with my company. I enjoy the overall friendliness and willingness they have to help me get the best price possible including different options that will give me more discounts.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I have never filed one single claim but my insurance continues to climb. My agent never tells me when my policy is out of date and should be changed. I have all canceled my car insurance after finding out I could get the same coverage for $1200.00 less every six months.

Original review: May 28, 2018

We have been pleased with our provider & our agent. The local Allstate personnel are very helpful and give us suggestions to help save us money. We have a monitor that tracks our driving for safe driving discount. Also like their accident forgiveness. We don't have major accidents, just mirror breakage or windshield cracks. They help to set up repair without me having to do it. Comforting overall and you pay for quality. ut should offer less premium for new teen driver, or reduced each year. Offers drivers ed classes to reduce cost and offer a discount for excellent grades.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Allstate is a great insurance company. I had the absolute easiest experience ever signing up for them. My agent is easy to reach by phone. I called him and gave him my information. He entered all of it and my insurance was set up. I have added a significant other to my policy with just a phone call. I also was in a little fender bender and all that took was a phone call as well. They have an easy to use website where I can print out my cards, see my insurance history, etc. I get refunds for good driving. They make everything easy for me and are not outrageously expensive. I have much better coverage than I previously did and have never had any problems with Allstate in the last 10 years.

However, their rates seem a bit more expensive than the Farm Bureau insurance I previously had. Also, some of their "safe" driving policies seem a bit arbitrary. "Hard braking" for instance. That seems like a silly thing to count points off on. Without hard braking, it would be a collision sometimes so it seems to be the preferential thing. Otherwise, I am completely satisfied with my insurance company.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Worst company ever. Refused my claim because they couldn't find paperwork from 9 years ago. I am not responsible for what a company did not send. 20+ years a good customer and at least $200,000 later. They even denied my auto claim. I pray you will be investigated a prosecuted.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Great customer service with Allstate Insurance. Kind service given by those who work at Allstate corporately and locally. Their local service at Randy McKinney's local office is extraordinary and very exceptional in how they treat each individual customer. The price could be better though. The local franchise at Randy McKinney's office has no control over their cost, but if they did I am sure they would do all they could to maximize the service for the lowest cost possible.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Only homeowners was good on claim. Auto not helpful. Directed me to the insurance co. of the person who hit me. Said if they helped me I'd have to pay $500 deductible so to go to other drivers insurance. When insurance given police was wrong I had to track down correct insurance co. myself. Luckily I took many many pictures with phone to support my claim. Cops didn't establish fault so I had to myself.

Original review: May 25, 2018

The whole process of getting my car repaired was smooth, efficient and customer friendly. Called 800 claim #, appointment given to meet Allstate damage estimator at a convenient location, told person were I wanted the repairs done, garage review damage cost and coordinated direct payment from Allstate, car was fixed. My autos had been insured by Allstate for 50 years. Every claim I had to file for has always been handled efficiency. I have see the progress Allstate had made throughout the years (now with the help of computerized systems) in making the claim process even more smooth and customer service friendly. Allstate may not be the cheapest auto insurer; but they surely provide good customer service.

Allstate expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allstate Auto Insurance provides quality protection across the United States. It allows customers to adjust limits and deductibles to find the right insurance policy without paying extra.

• Complete coverage: Allstate offers customizable coverage options that can be tweaked and adjusted in order to include specifics, such as personal injury, broken glass, towing, etc.

• Teen driving discounts: They offer discounts on teen drivers while many providers increase premiums for teen drivers, even those with clean driving records.

• Coverage for other vehicles: In addition to car insurance, Allstate offers insurance for boats, motorcycles and other vehicles.

• Local agents: Allstate has agents and brick-and-mortar offices in every state, which means you can meet with a representative face-to-face no matter where you are in the country.

• Drivewise app: They have an app that customers can download to track your driving habits and reward you for being safe behind the wheel.

• Best for: Drivers with clean records and teen drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky