Get a Quote

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

3.8/5 (1466 ratings)

About Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate is an auto insurance company with a large network of agents throughout the country. It offers online quotes and provides coverage for cars, motorcycles and ATVs. You can file claims with Allstate online, and the company extends discounts for bundling multiple insurance policies.

Pros

• Coverage in all states
  • Various discount programs
  • Innovative technological resources

Cons

• Premium increases after first term
  • Ride for Hire not in all states

Bottom Line

Allstate offers standard auto coverage all throughout the U.S., as well as various discount packages. Its technology resources for drivers (e.g., Drivewise) aid in improving policyholders’ driving, which can help lower rates.

Top Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been a customer of Allstate for over 30 years.My agent Jordie ** and Assistant Dee makes sure I have the best coverage. When I had an accident, the claim was processed quic...

Verified

...after my agent retired, I started shopping around and found an Allstate agent who introduced me to a whole new world in insurance needs… Allstate's customer service has been gr...

About Allstate auto insurance

Allstate offers auto, home, renters, term life, condo, motorcycle and business insurance, as well as other coverage options. Allstate’s agents give auto policyholders personalized help and technological tools like Drivewise, and the company also offers specialty policies — e.g., classic car insurance and auto coverage for travel to Mexico.

Allstate extends its specialized packages to teen drivers, students and rideshare operators. Its policies include rewards, a safe driving bonus, accident forgiveness and new car replacement. Accident forgiveness coverage ensures a driver’s rates remain the same after an accident even if it’s their fault.

Allstate auto insurance coverage

To get a quote for Allstate’s car insurance, you’ll need to provide your name, date of birth and address, as well as the year, make and model of your vehicle. You can file a claim and track it through the client portal. You’ll pick the type of coverage you want, choosing from:

• Collision
  • Personal umbrella
  • Uninsured
  • Rental reimbursement
  • Personal injury protection

After choosing your coverage, you’ll set coverage limits and select deductibles (make sure you take your state laws into consideration). Policyholders have access to resources like Drivewise and rideshare insurance, and some qualify for price cuts including new car and multipolicy discounts.

Allstate auto insurance rates

Average Allstate car insurance rates vary from around $1,770 to $1,983 per year. You can claim new car, multipolicy or teen driver discounts, and the company rewards good drivers with points that are redeemable for gift cards, sweepstakes and daily deals.

Allstate’s accident forgiveness policy ensures your rates won’t increase after an accident even if it’s your fault, and its Deductible Rewards program takes $100 off deductibles after sign-up and a further $100 off each year for safe driving (up to $500). Its Ride for Hire rideshare program provides deductible gap coverage for damages up to $2,500 but isn’t available in every state.

Allstate auto insurance FAQ

How much does Allstate car insurance cost?
Cost depends on various factors, including the driver’s age and car model. For example, a 25-year-old driver will pay between $2,000 and $2,100, a 35-year-old driver will pay around $1,850 and a 60-year-old will pay about $1,750. The average cost per annum is $1,880.
Does Allstate have comprehensive car insurance coverage?
Yes. Its comprehensive coverage is for damage related to vandalism, hail, fallen trees, theft and other circumstances.
How far back in your driving record does Allstate look?
In most cases, Allstate checks your record up to five years prior.
How can I lower the price of my Allstate car insurance?
You should avoid getting speeding tickets, consider changing your coverage and focus on safe driving. You might qualify for bonus rewards, which reduce rates for responsible drivers. You can also get discounts for signing multiple policies, buying a new car or achieving good grades. Setting higher deductibles or parking your car in a garage will also lower your premiums.

Is Allstate car insurance good?

Allstate offers an easy-to-file claims process, and its services are available nationwide. While its rates can be a bit costly compared to competitors’, Allstate’s auto insurance is a solid option for drivers looking for convenient and accessible coverage with several policy options and flexible add-ons.

Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Works and reasonable. When I need assistance, it is available. I haven't visited every state, and haven't required assistance everywhere I have been, so I can only say it has worked for me! The best thing one can do is keep your car in good order. That will save time, money and anguish!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I have been with Allstate for about 5 years after a local office cold-called me and persuaded me to switch from State Farm. The policy was much less expensive. I haven't had a single incident with my auto since becoming a policy holder (knock on wood) so I can't speak to their effectiveness in handling claims, but they are easy to work with and I have taken advantage of their good driver discounts a time or two.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I was recently in the worst auto accident to date, in 41 years. Both my adjusters Christopher B. and Amy were outstanding to speak to. The empathy and assurance provided comfort that words cannot describe. I am so thankful they are in their positions and hopeful of the outcome.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I have always had answers that I asked. I trust the Allstate name and I know if I need them they will be here. Many of my friends put me on to this company and I trust their judgement as well.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I live in Florida and the cost of auto insurance is expensive. With COVID'19, working from home has been a norm and driving decreased. Allstate offers a pay by mile type of car insurance. It gives you the option for those who does not drive a lot to pay less. There is a daily rate plus a per mile rate that is calculated. I think it is great as I will be paying almost 300 dollars less than what I have with Geico even with their "15 % discount due to COVID'19".

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

DO NOT BUY ALLSTATE. This used to be my agent office - for 23 YEARS. I'm a physician, and during the pandemic I sold my house (also Allstate policy - so they knew I sold it) and took a job with the Military. So, relocating physician during the pandemic, working for the Military. I sold my house in April and was moving. I made a car payment also in April, but made the next payment in July since I had my mail on hold trying to find a house to buy (none in Syracuse unless you had loads of cash). Allstate CANCELED my policy in JUNE with my last payment in APRIL, after 23 years. AND THEY WOULD NOT REINSTATE IT, and this office RETURNED MY PAYMENT from July (which I have yet to receive).

Geez, maybe they could have called? Or reinstated the policy? But NO, now I can't register my car, had to find an expensive emergency policy (with Progressive) while juggling being displaced, and working as a PHYSICIAN for the MILITARY IN A PANDEMIC. So ALLSTATE HAS NO LOYALTY TO YOU. Neither does this office (Adam Roux apparently was sold my policy at the Liverpool office - used to be Ciotti and then Sikora - who were better imho). LOOK ELSEWHERE. NOT ALLSTATE, and NOT LIVERPOOL.

Resolution response: Aug. 2, 2021

There have been a few shining stars throughout this process that have restored some of my faith in the company. These people have been found through my persistence and constant calling. Thank you to Crystal and Thelma for all they have done and continue to do. Again, though, the vast majority of this process has been awful for my state of being.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

Upon filing my auto claim, I was greeted with a claims agent that barely knew English. I had multiple claims agents hang up on me after I had only been on the line for five minutes, for no reason whatsoever. I had a claim agent lie to me about my police report being requested, when it never was, and I only found out two weeks later when I reached out to check on its progress. No one ever called to see how I was doing or to update me on the process. I had to set up my rental car through the body shop because AllState was too incompetent to set it up for me. I had to use AAA to help tow my car.

I had to reach out for every single question or concern I had, and it was often not AllState that responded and helped me. I would not recommend AllState Auto Insurance to anyone; they've been absolutely horrendous through every step of this accident process. What do we pay for if not for care and communication after an accident? I've learned that any other company is better. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else.

Original review: July 20, 2021

I work for a well known law firm in the Midwest area. I have seen how Allstate's customer service it's been deteriorating reaching the lowest level over the last years. They take too long to even evaluate the damages of a vehicle to determine if is repairable or a total loss. This process would usually take just a few days while Allstate could easily take several weeks. If the vehicle is determined to be a total loss the process is even worse! They have a service number for the total loss cases and sadly the lack of basic insurance concepts on many of the representatives is impressive.

You call for status and often times you are not able to obtain any straight answer when you call. The adjusters cover for each other even known they are making mistakes. You can get an apology for the delay and admitting their mistakes and a week later receive a denial saying it was not their fault. They've turned into one of the worst companies to deal with. The unfairness handling claims, regardless if you are a claimant or their own insured, is unbelievable!

Original review: July 7, 2021

This is the worst insurance company I've ever dealt with. My car was hit April 18. They didn't respond to the auto repair center to BEGIN repairs until May 19. And then didn't send me the reimbursement check for my rental until June 21. That is entirely too long to take for any of those steps, and there was no communication, no explanation as to why it was taking so long. I would call, leave messages, and get nothing back. Because they were so tardy, I had to keep extending my rental contract out week after week until the bill totaled nearly $4000 (which I had to pay out of pocket because their company doesn't contract with rental agencies, instead they reimburse you which is foolish because not everyone has the necessary funds for costs like that up front) but then learned they were only going to pay a little over $1800, less than half of the reimbursement!

I tried to fight them but they kept saying no, they were not responsible. Their client hit me and they as an insurance company made a promise to cover the damages caused by their client. That's what an insurance company is supposed to do. I never would have had to spend that much if they hadn't dragged their feet. It's almost negligence at this point. To top it off, they sent the letter with the reimbursement check, but not the check itself. I had to call their corporate office to get it direct deposited to me.

1. Incompetence
    2. Slow
    3. Poor communication
    4. No contracts for verification, just word of mouth
    5. Forced reimbursement policy

6. Lack of full payment

And it wasn't even the fault of only one individual. The main agent I worked with took an extended amount of time off and forwarded all his calls to a different agent, who was also gone and forwarded all her calls to a different agent, whose voicemail said he was not taking any more calls. And the manager I spoke with was no help in resolving this. And then the person who forgot to put the check in the envelope. It's the whole company. The only reason I give them 2 stars instead of 0 is because my car actually got fixed. But this was a headache I would not wish on anyone.

Original review: July 3, 2021

About two years ago we had Allstate try to auto add someone to our automobile policy. This was someone we didn't even know, and despite whatever Texas database they pulled the information from this individual did not live with us. Allstate put the burden of proof and getting it so this person would not be added on us, which is ridiculous. The hoops we had to jump through were insane, and at a very difficult time for our family. It is bad, money grabbing corporate policies that were cited that were used to attempt to justify this. Who I have on my insurance and who I am paying for or not paying for is my business and my business alone, not Allstate's.

Now, today, I receive an email notification that Allstate was going to add my 16 year old child to my insurance. A child that has a learner's permit and not a actual provisional or regular license. I call up the number I was given and some dubious line that smacked of "corporate policy" and underwriters policy was fed to me. They claimed that in the state of Texas, after 6 months of having a Learner's License that Texas considered them licensed, which is utter nonsense. Not to mention the fact that this was suddenly dumped on us not six months later, but a couple months away from it being TWO YEARS since she got her Learner's License.

This on top of the fact that before she received her Learner's License I spoke to Allstate representatives on what their policy was and was assured that as long as she had a Learner's License and was not an actual Licensed Driver that she was covered under our policy and did not need to be added in full since she couldn't drive on her own. Furthermore, Allstate has not updated their position on this policy online and I therefore find it highly suspect that our agent's office is doing this at this moment.

If this is in fact not Allstate's position I would like to suggest they reign in their local agents because after these two issues, issues I have not had with any other insurance company we are now taking our business elsewhere. After having shopped around for additional quotes no other major insurance carrier that I spoke to has the requirement of fully adding our child, with her Learner's License to our insurance policy, and no misinformation concerning some fabricated "six month" limit. For the icing on the cake they could not forward any documentation to us concerning this supposed underwriting policy as it was something they didn't give out and was only for use "in house".

Again, if this is not actually Allstate's position I want to make this company aware that some of their agents are pushing these underhanded practices and "corporate policies", perhaps for a chance to increase premiums. Her full addition would have nearly doubled our auto insurance. If it was an attempted money grab it has most certainly backfired as we are now leaving Allstate, will never return to Allstate, and will warn our friends and family, especially those that are facing new learning drivers of our issues and problems with Allstate as a cautionary tale. We should have left with the first instance of over reach. I did not sign up to have a corporation dictate to me. Had the first not happened we would still be leaving because of the second instance. My word to any and all, when it comes to Allstate caveat emptor (buyer beware)!

Allstate Auto Insurance Company Information