3.8/5 (1707 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate is an auto insurance company with a large network of agents throughout the country. It offers online quotes and provides coverage for cars, motorcycles and ATVs. You can file claims with Allstate online, and the company extends discounts for bundling multiple insurance policies.

Pros

• Coverage in all states
  • Various discount programs
  • Innovative technological resources

Cons

• Premium increases after first term
  • Ride for Hire not in all states

Bottom Line

Allstate offers standard auto coverage all throughout the U.S., as well as various discount packages. Its technology resources for drivers (e.g., Drivewise) aid in improving policyholders’ driving, which can help lower rates.

Top Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Auto Insurance?

Verified

I have been a customer of Allstate for over 30 years.My agent Jordie ** and Assistant Dee makes sure I have the best coverage. When I had an accident, the claim was processed quic...

Verified

...after my agent retired, I started shopping around and found an Allstate agent who introduced me to a whole new world in insurance needs… Allstate's customer service has been gr...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Allstate auto insurance

Allstate offers auto, home, renters, term life, condo, motorcycle and business insurance, as well as other coverage options. Allstate’s agents give auto policyholders personalized help and technological tools like Drivewise, and the company also offers specialty policies — e.g., classic car insurance and auto coverage for travel to Mexico.

Allstate extends its specialized packages to teen drivers, students and rideshare operators. Its policies include rewards, a safe driving bonus, accident forgiveness and new car replacement. Accident forgiveness coverage ensures a driver’s rates remain the same after an accident even if it’s their fault.

Allstate auto insurance coverage

To get a quote for Allstate’s car insurance, you’ll need to provide your name, date of birth and address, as well as the year, make and model of your vehicle. You can file a claim and track it through the client portal. You’ll pick the type of coverage you want, choosing from:

• Collision
  • Personal umbrella
  • Uninsured
  • Rental reimbursement
  • Personal injury protection

After choosing your coverage, you’ll set coverage limits and select deductibles (make sure you take your state laws into consideration). Policyholders have access to resources like Drivewise and rideshare insurance, and some qualify for price cuts including new car and multipolicy discounts.

Allstate auto insurance rates

Average Allstate car insurance rates vary from around $1,770 to $1,983 per year. You can claim new car, multipolicy or teen driver discounts, and the company rewards good drivers with points that are redeemable for gift cards, sweepstakes and daily deals.

Allstate’s accident forgiveness policy ensures your rates won’t increase after an accident even if it’s your fault, and its Deductible Rewards program takes $100 off deductibles after sign-up and a further $100 off each year for safe driving (up to $500). Its Ride for Hire rideshare program provides deductible gap coverage for damages up to $2,500 but isn’t available in every state.

Allstate auto insurance FAQ

How much does Allstate car insurance cost?
Cost depends on various factors, including the driver’s age and car model. For example, a 25-year-old driver will pay between $2,000 and $2,100, a 35-year-old driver will pay around $1,850 and a 60-year-old will pay about $1,750. The average cost per annum is $1,880.
Does Allstate have comprehensive car insurance coverage?
Yes. Its comprehensive coverage is for damage related to vandalism, hail, fallen trees, theft and other circumstances.
How far back in your driving record does Allstate look?
In most cases, Allstate checks your record up to five years prior.
How can I lower the price of my Allstate car insurance?
You should avoid getting speeding tickets, consider changing your coverage and focus on safe driving. You might qualify for bonus rewards, which reduce rates for responsible drivers. You can also get discounts for signing multiple policies, buying a new car or achieving good grades. Setting higher deductibles or parking your car in a garage will also lower your premiums.

Is Allstate car insurance good?

Allstate offers an easy-to-file claims process, and its services are available nationwide. While its rates can be a bit costly compared to competitors’, Allstate’s auto insurance is a solid option for drivers looking for convenient and accessible coverage with several policy options and flexible add-ons.

Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

Horrible customer service, won't return calls, wait for weeks to get status on auto damage claim in Columbia Falls, Mt. Agent Jeremy worst rep of any company we have ever interacted with. Been waiting a month now to resolve snow damage to roof and hood of my Jeep. They just ignore us. Going back to USAA...professionals.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

Allstate is a large, greedy, insurance company who uses ugly tactics to make it difficult to get paid for a claim. An Allstate driver hit my car from behind while I was stopped at a red light. There are no other tricky details. They weren’t paying attention and ran into the back of my vehicle. A day later, my insurance company (Erie) called me and said that a claim was made by Allstate stating that I caused an accident with one of their drivers. I called Allstate, and the lady was quite rude. She said she called Erie because she was unable to contact me. I later found one missed call with no voicemails, and it was only a few minutes before my insurance company received the call from her.

She told me I need to rent a car and pay for it myself, and then Allstate will reimburse me. This policy requires a large payment out of pocket for the victim. I paid $1,073.51 for the rental. I emailed the receipt to Allstate the day I returned the rental 3/29/2022. I have called over and over trying to get info regarding my claim. I have emailed probably 30 emails; each one had the claim number in the subject line and all required documents attached. I never got a response. I finally called to “request a quote for insurance”, and I got right through to a person who connected me to the claims department.

I explained my situation to the lady. She kept telling me she was transferring me to another department. I was asking her to transfer me to her manager. She hung up on me. I called the number for a quote again, and got transferred to another claims specialist. They said, they are waiting for my detailed rental receipt. I told him I had sent that receipt 20-30 times already. He told me, I need to send a fresh email with the claim number and the receipt. He said if I sent an email string or forwarded anything, it won’t go through. As of 12/29/22, I’m still waiting for my payment, but at least they acknowledged that they received the rental receipt. Allstate is total trash. They are the greedy type of corporation you read about screwing over the regular folks. Please consider going to other companies with your insurance needs.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

Stay away from Allstate! They happily take your money but when it comes time for them to do their job, they are ghosts. I was in an accident over a month ago and have not heard from my agent once! When I dial the number for her office it just transfers me to the main hotline where I have to go through multiple automated prompts to get a human being on the line. What is the point in having an agent if you never get to talk to them! Working with my adjusters has been like pulling teeth, they never answer the phone and will rarely return my calls. I feel like I'm completely alone in trying to get my vehicle repaired. Needless to say, once this ordeal is finally over, I'm switching to another company.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

Updated on 12/13/2022: I have a damage from an Allstate insured driver. The claim handling is horrible. Only standard letters and denials. They only accept estimates by their assigned companies. 2 weeks and nothing is clarified. Allstate - you are definitely not in good hands.

Original Review: I filed a claim about an insured car based on a hit and run. Provided an estimate by caliber and they requested that I go again to the same place for another estimate. Are they kidding me. Everything I did was denied. You are not in good hands...

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

I've been with Allstate for about 6 months... My policy started at about $136.00... This policy went up about $29 more for an alleged trailer I owned.... A few days ago I tried to remove the "trailer" from the policy At least 3 months because I'm doing a conversion... That day I found out that my RV appeared in the policy as a trailer!!! This vehicle is a huge 1999 Van Hool Bus that weighs 25 tons... which for Allstate was a simple trailer pulled by a car. After much insistence, he was removed from the policy under the promise of returning the 5 months I paid as credit.

A few days later... not seeing the money in the bank... I contact Allstate again where I find out that there was no refund... that it was for Allstate itself... that the money was applied as a discount of a new policy on 11/27/2022. That after the refund it was $189.00!!.. This means that these gentlemen from AllState charge themselves and take the change. When I claimed this abuse... they told me that they had raised me $300 for something... plus $ for something else... Anyway... a policy that started at $136.00 is now worth more than $300. If we add the supposed $189..plus the $175... I would be paying $364 for my policy... for a single car... owner of my house... without accidents or tickets for more than 3 years (actually I have never had a ticket accident in over 25 years of driving).; I am a 74-year-old senior... These gentlemen are thieves and abusers licensed by the State

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

You have to fight for every penny with Allstate. In addition to that they hold your money once agreed upon. I am now without a car, without a rental (they asked me to turn it back in already) and no money for my total loss vehicle which they already picked up through vendor. You should have time to replace a total loss vehicle after you receive payout. Not with Allstate, it will be about 12 days carless by the time the money comes. Ridiculous, sad part is they always ask for my business but after being on this side of a claim with them they will never get it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

Of course you can't get a hold of a real person. Allstate screwed me out of $1000 when it was someone else’s fault. They are horrible to work with and would highly recommend you find someone else that will take the time to work with you instead of against you. HORRIBLE company. I am 65 and on Medicare, but they don’t care about anyone. I don’t ever write bad reviews but I can’t get any help from them so they don't even deserve 1 star.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

Replacing a car is incredibly frustrating. On Fri I replaced a car on my policy. I never received the e-mail confirmation for this, but everything looked fine. On Sat I went to pick up my car. Called my agent to confirm my car is insured. After 2-3 min the auto answ. service couldn't take my call. Left a message; never got a called back. Called customer service who after a bit of searching confirmed my new car is insured. Drove the car home.

On Mon I receive an email that the policy didn't go through - had to contact Allstate. Tried chat. After telling my story a few times due to disconnects, I eventually was told to call a specific number. Called provided number and got to roadside assistance (????). Made several calls with Allstate to clear things up. Including 4 times to my agent (same non-response as before). Eventually, the car was added to my policy through customer service. I spent half of Monday calling etc to get my car insured. This NEEDS to be much easier. It is Friday again, and have not received my proof of insurance (policy online shows), but still can't register my car with the RMV because I'm missing paperwork. I'm out!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Well, I spent another hour or so on the phone again today with Allstate. My accident happened on August 30th and I was on the ball with reporting it right off to my insurance and the other driver's insurance, who has Allstate. Today is September 13th. My car is still sitting in my yard wrecked. Even though they have access to the police report from that day now, they STILL are looking for a statement from the other driver, whom they haven't been able to reach for 2 weeks. I was told I get to wait another week before I can even get a rental car... so 3 weeks with no car. Awesome. They have to validate "liability". It's Allstate's "policy" that they need both driver's statements, even though the police report clearly states she hit me when I was at a stop sign motionless... I guess if you're not the policyholder, they don't care.

I don't even know what a rental car costs upfront these days but I was first told I had to pay my insurance deductible (through my insurance, though I'm not at fault) and pay for a rental upfront before I'd get reimbursed for anything... so around 1500 or more? Not many people have that kind of cash upfront. I've got two kids and rent to pay, and I'm down a car right now.

If you have Allstate, you are NOT in good hands. I have never experienced such poor customer service experience in my entire life. I was lied to by several insurance adjusters, was given false hope and was told this would be resolved fairly quickly. "After four aggressive attempts we will move forward with your claim, regardless", is what I was told. I was also not aware they didn't have access to the police report right off.

Instead, my phone calls were dodged for a whole week and when the insurance adjuster finally contacted me after my several complaints were made, she claimed she "didn't lie to me, she just wasn't knowledgeable". I've asked to have someone else handle the claim multiple times... After doing ALL the research myself, contacting NC highway patrol, contacting and giving statements to both mine and the other party's insurance companies, filing several complaints, and obtaining and forwarding the physical copy of the police report that took almost 2 weeks for ME to obtain, I am STILL waiting on a resolution. No rental car and my car is still wrecked in my yard.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

I've had many auto insurance in my lifetime. Allstate claims policy is the worst. I've experienced. Unbelievable how they treat full coverage customers. Switching back to Mercury. Shocked! Unhappy!!

Allstate Auto Insurance Company Information