Allstate Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Poor auto liability coverage - After being hit by a young lady who had Allstate Insurance, Allstate delayed approval of coverage for a month, and after a month of driving a wrecked car and after begging for my car to be fixed, Allstate encouraged me to use MY insurance (and pay a $500 deductible - seriously?!). They rushed/hassled my body shop, was very rude to me and body shop workers, over explain everything and refused to pay for all the rental car repairs stating after the fact that "I SHOULD HAVE DROPPED MY CAR OFF ON A MONDAY INSTEAD OF A THURSDAY". After I had to wait an entire month to get them to accept responsibility and start repairs. Terrible experience. Now I know why people fake illness and hire an attorney!

I have had Allstate Insurance for about 12 years and never filed a claim. I carry both collision and liability. During a trip to the car wash where the cars are on a conveyor belt, my car turned sideways and was hit by the auto behind me. It has been determined that liability belongs to the Car Wash. The business will not give up their insurance information and Allstate hasn't procured the info. Allstate doesn't care anything about customers, only premiums since the accident happened 3 weeks ago. If this is ever straightened out I will drop this company that doesn't represent me at all.

Warning do not get insurance through this company. My husband was in a wreck. The kid that T-boned him in an intersection had Allstate too. We were treated horribly during the month of getting our truck fixed. All they did was harass us because they (Allstate) could not get a hold of the body shop. Allstate would go back and forth on the rental we had at their expense. Worst experience we have ever had to go through. We are dropping Allstate.

I had been an Allstate customer for over 20 years. I hadn't use my insurance for an accident in years and then I had an accident. Allstate would not pay for "Chevy part" and nothing new because my car was a 2005 and was at that time was 7 years old. So, all parts were aftermarket. I had to get one new headlight because it was broken but the other one, which now looks terrible in comparison, is yellowed. The paint began peeling off of the plastic bumper within months, they were given a hood that was in worse shape than mine after the accident to fix and use on my car. I had a grill that was actually broken when they tried to return it to me. I've written letters to the higher ups at Allstate to no avail. They don't care. I keep my car in pristine shape and now after 1 accident it's lost most of its value because Allstate, after taking thousands of my dollars in premiums, refused to fix my car the right way.

I recommend that NO ONE use them for insurance. AND, their accident forgiveness is a joke, you have to pay for that. So not only did I get horrific service I then had to pay a considerable amount more. I went shopping around for insurance and found one that was 1/3 the amount Allstate was charging me for the same coverage, I gave them my Allstate policy to quote from. So now I've been ripped off by the company, I have a car that is worth far less than it would be because of the horrible repair job and when I cancelled my insurance they cancelled it a month early so they caused me all kinds of problems with the State because it looked like I was uninsured for a month. It took them 6 weeks (at least) to fix that.

I've seen others have significant problems with Allstate so I wanted to make sure I put my review in. I tried to go through the Better Business Bureau but only with the last problem with the state, I should have done it when I had the accident. BBB is the only reason, I believe, that I got the insurance issue with the state fixed as soon as it did. Terrible company, terrible customer service. Terrible pricing, even after you've been a customer for over 20 years. TERRIBLY DISAPPOINTED.

ALLSTATE is garbage... Their customer totaled my truck and after fighting with them for 2 weeks they finally got us a rental "car" for only 1 week. 5 weeks later we still haven't received payment for the damage and I'm still losing money everyday dealing with doctors. Still unable to work because of my injuries and they aren't gonna settle up with anything until I've finished all treatments. I'm a single parent and this has been more than I can stand. #allstate #NotInGoodHands

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Allstate Auto Insurance has a new model for appraising wrecked cars w/ only photos and it sucks!!! The process is frustrating for the insured as well as the body shop. It takes weeks to get an appraiser to come out for supplements. Allstate sales reps are the best, but they do not control the portion after the accident.

This information is current as of June 28, 2017. I had an auto accident on May 24, 2017 which included property damage. The vehicle is leased. Problems with the vehicle claim. The original estimate from the Allstate claims adjuster was 11K+. The collision shop found substantially more damage and the vehicle was declared totaled.

In attempting to get the status of the payment to the leasing company from Allstate, first they said a photocopy of the check was received by the claims department on June 12 and sent to the leasing company; then the date was changed to June 15. Then the story became the check was issued on June 20, cancelled the same day (but they didn’t know why) and then reissued. However, they were unable to confirm the check was sent to the leasing company because someone neglected to assign a tracking number to the check, something which they normally do. So more than a month since the accident, the location of the check is unknown. Would they except this story from me if it was my premium payment we were discussing?

Problems with the property damage. There was damage to three garages. A contractor examined and gave estimates for each garage, plus the owners submitted additional damages for items which were in the garages. All three estimates were submitted to Allstate who approved the work be done. Here is where it gets interesting: because it is a condo development, all units have to look uniform, so I requested the payment be made to the condo association so the manager could oversee the work and provide payment to the contractor. Big mistake - now Allstate informs me that since only one check will be written to the condo association, it now falls under a large claim category instead of three small claims, even though the amounts have not changed.

They call the condo manager (instead of me) and tell him they now have to schedule an inspection of the damage. Their inspector comes out, his estimate comes within $15 dollars of the contractor’s estimate. Sounds good, right? No, not good - I was then informed that Allstate would not pay the full amount , but would deduct depreciation due to the age of the garages. This was not mentioned when they had approved the total amount of the three individual claims. And what are they depreciating - the lumber, the nails? They are repairing the garages, not replacing them.

I will add here that the total damages were less than 9K, my policy ‘says’ I’m covered for 100K, but Allstate will pay $2200+ less than the amounts agreed upon by the contractor and their inspector. My local agent suggested that I tell the three garage owners to contact their insurance companies and submit claims to cover the difference. Why? They had nothing to do with it. Should they have to go through the process and risk a possible increase in their rates? That does not sound right to me. I have written a check to cover the amount Allstate refuses to pay. I have written a letter describing everything to the CEO of Allstate, with copies to the Regional Manager of Allstate and the Ohio Department of Insurance. I will submit an update to ConsumerAffairs.com when all is settled.

Allstate Insurance called me the day after I was rear-ended by their customer and told me they assumed all responsibility. Now, with the 2 year deadline looming, they are refusing to pay over $5,000 in medical expenses incurred the day of the accident. This is to EMS for the ambulance and to the ER for the CT scan and treatment. I have filed complaints with the dept of insurance but nothing seems to motivate them to pay up.

Received a call out of the blue from an agent (Mary **) in the Benton/Malvern area who was my agent with another company several years ago 4-5, and asked if I would like a quote from her new company Allstate. I said sure, she emailed me a quote on my vehicles and property, that was at least 3-4 mos ago, and got a letter of decline due to so called credit history. So I called her about the fact I never gave her permission to do a credit check nor did she disclose that info either... She was rather rude, acted like she did not know who I was, and said that if I was her client from years earlier she had all of my info including my social security number and could check it anytime she wanted. SHADY, UNPROFESSIONAL, RUDE. Allstate if this is the level of persons that represent your company... Shame on you!!!

I was forced by the circumstances to buy insurance from Allstate. I bought a new car and I couldn't get in contact with my old insurance at the time of the purchase. Allstate charged me 200 hundred dollars for two months, before they came up with a quote. Then they charged me for $184 dollars a month and started charging this amount right away. I was totally confused. I was not explained by them that I was not able to cancel the policy as they required 10% from the overall annual premium. My old insurance offered a more economical quote. They offered to charge $230.00 dollars monthly for my three cars. I feel the consumers are stuck with companies that only want your money. Who defends the consumers from these money hungry insurance companies. What are my rights? I feel I don't have any rights even when the insurance company takes my money that I earn by working very hard.

So help me understand how someone hitting my car as I was making a left hand turn on a two way street partially my fault??? The impatient driver behind me is trying to pass me on the left instead of the right so they jump into oncoming traffic as I am making a left turn again on a two-way street but this is partially my fault. And to add insult to injury you file a claim on my insurance with the wrong vehicle information so the quote you gave me was low balled, and with all the branches you have here locally why do I have to deal with someone in San Antonio Texas??? Who working claims kids or adults. The slogan... "You're in good hands with Allstate Insurance" is some major BS.

Funny the only insurance that couldn't give me a quote is your company? Why because I'm not rich and had a few tickets? I find it funny you all display "accident forgiveness" but larger name brand insurance companies could give me a quote but you cannot? I'm absolutely baffled and now I know why I have never tried your insurance. Horrible.

The data claims there are incidents when there are none when you review your data. They will not tell you how they calculate the discount. They told me if I added more drivers to the Drivewise app, that the discount would be larger. I added my 2 sons and the discount was less than half than it was when I did it by myself, even though the percentage was twice as much that I should be expecting, according to the app. Customer service is a joke. They told my agent they know that there is an issue with the data, but since it is a discount, they are not working very hard to fix it. Allstate's rates are on the high side, but this was supposed to bring it back in line. I have been with them for 32 years and I am considering changing companies because of this stupid app.

On March 15, 2017, Allstate insured motorist backed into my auto on school property. The police report shows that the driver backing out of parking place was at fault. Allstate only approve 80 percent of damage to my car. The student driver of the Allstate stated, "I did not look." Allstate made their proposal before they retained a copy of police report. I sent them the report, but this made no difference to the adjuster. This company is the WORST insurance company that I have dealt with. I would give them a minus 5 stars if possible.

I paid my car insurance in full one day late and they charging me $93.00 for the one day. The agent Teri cannot do anything so why do I have an agent? DO NOT DEAL WITH EITHER. I am done. Been a loyal customer since the 80s. NO MORE!

A woman changed lanes without looking and drove into me. Allstate claims that I am partially responsible for the damage because I am not clairvoyant and did not predict that the woman would drive into me. They are saying that physics should cease to exist and my car should have stopped immediately after applying the brakes so that the damage did not cover the whole side of my car.

I am so disappointed that after being a loyal customer for 10+ years, and always paying my premiums on time that we have been denied a refund for our duplicate coverage. I switched to another carrier in January and sent a letter in February to Allstate. Didn't hear anything back about my coverage being canceled and assumed it would simply take awhile. Sent another letter in March at which point I get a NASTY phone message (the first contact since requesting the refund and VERY condescending) about needing to provide proof of the duplicate insurance before they will cancel. Fine. That was all they asked for. I put it on the back burner and planned to do it.

I am a teacher and Spring time is very busy. Had a lot going on personally and finally when school was out for summer, had time to take care of this. Sent the required documents. Got another phone call from "corporate" and was made to feel about 2 inches tall as this rude lady spoke very condescendingly to me again to tell me it was now too late and they would NOT be issuing a refund. NEVER in any correspondence did they mention that there was DEADLINE to receive my money. Her response was that is "industry standard". My response: I don't work in insurance. How was I supposed to know that if it was never communicated? By the way, the only way they tried to contact me was by calling my CELL PHONE in the middle of the day while I was teaching (who answers 800 numbers on their cell phone?). And to my knowledge, they only ever left a voice mail ONE time on our landline phone.

They claim they sent emails and this is supposed to count as adequate contact. On the phone to the very rude lady who sounded like she was calling from a Collection Agency. I owned up to my part of it - That I did not send the proof of insurance immediately. To my claim that they let me down as a long-time customer by never conveying the deadline to me, they skirted all responsibility. They did not see that being any fault of their own. It was MY fault for not knowing this. We had ONE claim in 11 years. We paid on time for 11 years.

They KNEW since February that I was requesting a refund. It's not as if I asked them for a refund AFTER the policy lapsed. I repeatedly asked while the policy was active. Seems to me they deliberately withheld information about the deadline to refund me money in hopes of keeping it. I am so glad to be rid of them. If you are planning to cancel Allstate, please be aware, they will make it difficult.

What would have made my experience better? One: To have received a call from my agent's office directly, back in February at the first request, explaining not ONLY what was required but the "time frame" as well. That was crucial information missing from literally all communication from them. Two: To not have outsourced my case to their call center where I was condescended to for not knowing insurance industry standards. I felt like I was being called by a collection agency for nonpayment, when in fact I had *overpaid* for months.

Three: Had my agent actually called me himself in the beginning, to express any kind of concern for losing a customer I actually might have stayed. Silly me. I actually thought I meant something to them. We were the ideal customers. We paid and paid and paid... And only filed one claim in 11 years. We were numbers on a page to them. In my experience, they do not care about their customers at all. I honestly thought we were "In good hands with Allstate". But if Allstate is genuinely interested in how they can improve their customers' experience perhaps this email can be shared (although I do not expect that to happen).

My vehicle was hit by a customer of Allstate. This was the start of a horrible experience. Other driver attempted a U-turn on a 3 lane roadway from the right lane into the path of my vehicle. Allstate said it would take 2 to 3 week to get the police report and verify everything. My insurance got it in 2 days. There was a witness which proves fault. While obtaining the Allstate claim number I was told that a rental vehicle could be obtained if fault was proven as their customer same as my vehicle (GMC Yukon Denali). I received a letter stating that they would cover up to $20.00 daily and other stupid restrictions. Shame to have to get a lawyer for a fender bender. To all that will listen DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH ALLSTATE. Still trying to to get my vehicle fixed. Accident date 5/30/2017.

We just purchased 6 months worth of vehicle insurance for several vehicles at our home. The amount of close to $2800 for 5 vehicles. We wrote them a check, and I thought that was the end of it. One of the vehicle and a recall, and we decided to get new brake pads and an oil change while we were at the dealership. We wrote them a check too. A few days later, the bank notified us that our $674 check to Lexus was returned. This happened right when the bank was closing, so I had to wait until the next day. I couldn't even get $20 dollars worth of gas for my truck.

The next morning, I reviewed with the bank what all was deducted recently. I found out that Allstate had deducted $2800 dollars from my bank account TWICE! That caused my check with Lexus to be returned, and I have no money in my bank account until Allstate refunds the $2800 they deducted from my bank account. The issue is still unresolved, and I have bills that are due. Due to Allstate, I was forced to deposit some saved and backup cash in my bank account just to pay some bills. On top of that, Allstate has to wait for corporate to refund my $2800 dollars that they basically stole from me. It's been 48 hours since this incident has happened, and I still don't have my money. On top of that, our insurance rates seems to be going up.

We have not had any wrecks or speeding tickets in years. The most recent one was a deer that ran out in front of us, but apparently, that's our fault too according to Allstate. God knows when I will be refunded the money they stole from me because they were never given permission from me to deduct an extra $2800 from my bank account. How can it be an accident when I wrote them a damn check with the precise amount? What if this happened to someone who didn't have the backup money or saved money until their stolen money was returned? I guess Allstate would have to let that person starve to death or their electricity cut off. Allstate's slogan should be, "YOU ARE NOT IN GOOD HANDS!" I will provide the proof of the receipt, and the bank statement portion showing where $2800 dollars is deducted twice when I get a chance. I don't have it with me at the moment.

My granddaughter (Crystal **) was in an accident on August 31, 2015. She was rear ended by a driver that had only liability and was sandwiched between two cars and got a spinal injury. She is a single mom. Now she is trying to collect loss of wages, home care and underinsured motorist from Allstate and they do not want to pay. They advertise "CLAIM SATISFACTION GUARANTEE". Claims are Settled "FAST, FAIR AND HASSLE FREE". That is a false statement because my granddaughter's attorney has been trying to get the underinsured motorist claim # ** paid because the person at fault only had liability so why do we pay for underinsured motorist and then when we try to collect it they do not want to pay for it and they have been working on it for almost three months. And now we are going to have to go through arbitration which will take 5 to 6 months.

The loss of wages and home care that she is trying to collect claim # ** has been going on for 5 months and it still isn't settled. She sent them 5 years of medical records which isn't much because she wasn't sick much till the accident which her spine was hurt badly. Allstate doesn't want to pay any of her claims. You pay the premiums and then when you try to collect they do not want to pay. We are going to have to go to court and when we do it is going to be a jury trial because she used Allstate financial aid for the rest of her life and she is a single mom. I have never been more upset and furious with Allstate Insurance.

I involved in car accident on Sunday. I was T-Boned from the drunk lady coming out from the bar. She pass the Red light and T-boned me. I have a Police report and witnesses. I was unconscious for almost 8 hours from the time that accident occurred. I woke in the Hospital. I didn't remember anything about what happened at all. I called my friend to help me with the situation and she did, while I don't have no family in USA. My friend take care of all my doctors appointment, financial and lawsuit documentation because I'm disability. I have lower back pain, chest pain and TBI. I'm on a lots of medication right now. So I file a lawsuit against Allstate and bar.

I had a little settlement from the bar. Allstate Insurance pays for almost 2 months of my Physical therapy and some doctors and they stop paying for everything. They say that I didn't have the car insurance at the time of the incident. That is UNBELIEVABLE. Had all my profs of my insurance. I had automatic payment and 0 had enough money in my account. The agent set up my policy. I went to Allstate agency to get insurance. The Agent give me car and home insurance (bundle). All State Insurance or the agent plays with my policy. When I called 1800 Allstate to check on my policy and they said you have insurance at the time of incident. I didn't understand this situation. It took me 2 years to settle my case and I didn't gets NOTHING. I am ripped DO NOT GET ALLSTATE INSURANCE. BAD EXPERIENCE.

I've sadly had Allstate insurance for 22 years: home and auto. I recently filed an auto claim after an unfortunate incident with the weather causing damage to my car. I drive an older classic car which I keep fully insured. Allstate seems fine if you never file a claim, but file a claim and that is when you get treated like crap. I was accused of lying by the inspecting agent as to how the car was damaged. That was the first problem, the second problem was when he said, "Just because you have insurance doesn't mean I have to fix your car." Really? 22 years and I don't abuse my insurance and I'm treated like this? The only other claim I filed was when there was a break in in my home and once again, they accused me of lying, and continued to send letters (after they paid only 30% of the total amount stolen) stating that if the items "magically appeared" to please let them know. So that is two claims and the treatment is horrible for both of them.

If you don't want to fix an old car, then don't have insurance for it, but don't treat me this way. Then to top it off, while trying to figure out the rental car, the right hand doesn't have a clue what the left hand is doing and I get charged all sorts of extra fees. Oh, they say they'll take care of it, but they don't. Good hands? More like give them a hand out for nothing and watch my money disappear. If you want pay someone to be treated like a criminal, sign up with Allstate!

I chose Allstate some years ago for our auto insurance based on recommendations at first. When I sat down to get a quote for our newly purchased car at the time, I also found out that by us having excellent credit scores our premiums would be lower than those who do not. I like that we can be rewarded for being responsible with credit. They also have the "vanishing deduction" that lowers your deductible by $100/year for every year you have no accident claims. After 5 years accident free we now have 0 deductible! I have tried a few times to have comparative quotes from other companies including AAA and it always came back to being a better deal with Allstate. Also, they have responsive to questions in the past and when I have ever had to contact my Allstate agent for anything it was quickly and professionally handled. So, so far so good!

I like Allstate and the ability to conduct business online efficiently; print insurance cards, pay bills, and file claims online, etc. I don't think, however, that the cost of coverage is competitive. Otherwise, I like that questions are answered quickly and reminders are friendly. In filing a claim, they are efficient and fair.

Allstate Auto Insurance is not what I expect from a company like theirs. All they do is raise prices with no value to customer. They like others, use computors and the billing gets screwed up. So many times we have had to call the office to correct things, they don't always have the answers. I feel like we are not even recognize as customers in their company.

Allstate is all good. You get what you pay for. Everyone should buy uninsured driver insurance. There is a plethora of illegal aliens that drive without (cost prohibited) insurance. Uninsured driver rider to applicable policies! It covers damages where an uninsured driver is without insurance. Claim was handled and paid in five days. $8,000. I always had the way to contact the claims rep! Allstate is a premium company that had the where with all to settle claims without haggling over pennies. Very nice people in all departments. Allstate is a good reason to have a good driving record.

Local agent is good and national Company is OK. But they have a rewards program that is a joke. Also, should have helped more when I was run into by a non-insured driver but Allstate would not pursue them.

Allstate is the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with, and I would never recommend anyone use them. Unfortunately, my 18 year old daughter was hit by an Allstate customer. They never bothered to call any of the witnesses, wouldn't return my call and finally settled on paying 80% of the claim when my daughter was 100% the victim. There were at least a dozen witnesses to the accident, but no one at Allstate even bothered to call them for their statement. I asked on about 8 occasions if they were going to call but just got the run-around. I believe they just try to wear you down to the point that you just take whatever they give so the ordeal goes away. I have warned everyone I know to beware of Allstate. I will personally never use them and will submit a claim through my insurance carrier (State Farm) anytime in the future instead of dealing with these crooks at Allstate. Definitely beware!!

Was in an accident with an Allstate insured driver. I was traveling on a 3 lane road in which I was in the middle lane. There was a car on the left of me & a white SUV on the right of me. All of a sudden the driver on the right of me began to come over in my lane (I think I was in her blind spot) before I could hit my horn she had side swipe me. I was hold my steering wheel so tight as to not be pushed in the car on my left!

Anyway, got in touch with her insurance (which was Allstate), sent them all the information they needed (including police report which stated that their insured driver was at fault) and waited for them to get back to me. Well they did & settled the claim. I called my mechanic (he & Allstate had spoken to settle on how much it would cost to fix the damage) to give him the news & he told me how much they had settled upon. It was about a $400-$450 difference then what they had sent me!

I called & asked why & they told me they was only gonna pay 80% because I hadn't blew my horn!!! She came into my lane & hit me! I didn't have time to hit my horn! I was concerned about holding on to my steering wheel as to not be pushed into the car that was on my left! Are they kidding??? Something needs to be done about this! This is robbery & fraud! I will be writing to the CEO & the BBB!!

A 5 rating would be flawless. At fault accident March, 2016. Appreciate the quick resolution of my claim, but feel Allstate dropped the ball when keeping me informed on the status of the other involved part's claim.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Allstate Auto Insurance provides quality protection across the United States. It allows customers to adjust limits and deductibles to find the right insurance policy without paying extra.

• Complete coverage: Allstate offers customizable coverage options that can be tweaked and adjusted in order to include specifics, such as personal injury, broken glass, towing, etc.
  • Teen driving discounts: They offer discounts on teen drivers while many providers increase premiums for teen drivers, even those with clean driving records.
  • Coverage for other vehicles: In addition to car insurance, Allstate offers insurance for boats, motorcycles and other vehicles.
  • Local agents: Allstate has agents and brick-and-mortar offices in every state, which means you can meet with a representative face-to-face no matter where you are in the country.
  • Drivewise app: They have an app that customers can download to track your driving habits and reward you for being safe behind the wheel.
  • Best for Drivers with clean records and teen drivers.

Compare Auto Insurance