Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Allstate Auto Insurance
2.37/5

Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate sells auto, home, renters, motorcycle and life insurance. Allstate isn't an InsuraMatch partner at this time. To get multiple quotes all at once in less than 10 minutes, call InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1826 Allstate Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My car was hit while being parked in my daughter's driveway at her home, by an Allstate customer. No one was in the car, and she admitted fault. This happened on the 18th of October, it has been almost one month and still have no car. Took it to one of their shops, and the place she hit it in the back quarter panel, apparently had been bonded before, (this is a 2007). She caused quite a bit of damage to the car, so Allstate says since it had been bonded before and it cracked where she hit it they will not pay to have this repaired. It has to be replaced ($2000.00) and I have to pay for it. The shop took the car apart to get the estimate, and say they won't repair it unless I pay for the new quarter panel. I was then informed that I had to pay $138 to pay for the disassembly charges before they would release it to another shop that is willing to fix it, without replacing the quarter panel.

I did talk the shop down to $78, Allstate refuses to pay for this also. They say the hit the car took from her hitting it wouldn't have cracked if it hadn't been bonded. I say if she hadn't hit it, it wouldn't have cracked. This is my grandson's car, he is 17 so could not get a rental, so he has been getting rides for almost a month now. I requested a rental car for me, and he could drive my car. They said sure I'm entitled to one, but to this day still have no rental car. I have talked to so many different people and get nowhere with anyone. It makes no sense how your car is parked legally in your driveway and Allstate customer hits it, and you end up paying out of your pocket.

If anyone can explain this to me please do. I have contacted the State Board of Insurance, and I am filing, but they said it will be 3 to 4 months before they get to this issue. Where is the JUSTICE... All I've ask Allstate for is to cosmetically put the car back to where it was before it was hit. They have informed me also, none of their shops will fix it without me paying to replace the quarter panel, even though they agree it can simply be bonded. They also have no recommendations where to take it. I've had to do all the searching on my own with no help from Allstate...

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Allstate states that WE as the victims of their client's negligence are held responsible for a rental car while our vehicle is being repaired. They tried to close the claim out prematurely without properly assessing the repairs and damage. If it weren't for my dispute Allstate would have sent my wife and 3 kids back on the road with MAJOR drivetrain damage. With the vehicle having to go back the shop Allstate still claims that they are not liable for the rental cost because the original case was closed 2 weeks premature. YOU'RE IN GOOD HANDS? More like, "WE GOT YOU. NOW PAY UP SUCKER!" WHAT A JOKE.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I've been an Allstate customer ever since I started driving, and it's an absolute JOKE. My car was hit in a roundabout a few weeks ago by a man who was in the incorrect lane and trying to exit without paying attention. He admitted to both of those facts. He also happened to be another Allstate customer. My adjuster, Faith, assured me multiple times that the other driver was clearly at fault, and we shouldn't have any issues. I was skeptical, and being in customer service I knew she shouldn't be making those kinds of statements, but I had hope that Allstate would do the right thing. They didn't.

My adjuster and his (Jennifer, who did nothing but accuse me of being in the wrong lane, which I proved wrong with a simple Google search, and argue rather than listen to what happened) "couldn't come to an agreement," and passed the case onto their manager, Brian. I then received a call stating that my case was a "he-said-she-said" situation, and that the damage to my car would not be taken care of. When I contacted the manager, it was clear that he couldn't care less about the situation and waved me off when I told him I will be looking into a different insurance company.

I'm not even upset that Allstate's decision didn't go my way. I'm upset because they don't care about their customers. My car was rammed in the side by a driver who wasn't paying attention, and Allstate just doesn't care. I truly believe that if the other driver had a different insurance company, Allstate would've fought for their and my money. I'm lucky that I wasn't injured, because I'm sure they wouldn't have taken care of any hospital bills, either. I will be switching insurance companies and filing a complaint with Virginia's Bureau of Insurance.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

This insurance company is by far the worst I have had to deal with, I lost my camera equipment (back in August) which was insured under personal property policy. I never heard from my agent instead they put me through an investigation and then a deposition with a lawyer to retell my story for a third time. I still to this day have not received a straight answer to when my claim will be completed. I have to deal with the investigator that was assigned to the claim (a real treat) and all I ever get is "we are working on it". I sat with the lawyer and investigator. On October 11th they told me two weeks, now it is November 2nd and still no word, no update, or communication. I am out approximately 4k and have gotten no further than the first day I made the claim. In good hands... What a joke!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

These guys charged me $400 after I already changed insurance policies. Illegally took the money out of my account than sent me to collections for another $250 after taking $400 from my account. These guys are simply just thieves. On principal, I'm filing suit, don't care if it costs me 5k, just out of principle because I know this is probably a common practice and rip off a lot more people than just me. Allstate, you'll never ever get my business for any of your insurance products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

After receiving a letter that only allowed me 5 days to respond (from the date of the letter), I tried reaching my agent. I tried several times and spoke to Allstate Corporate who also tried to reach them. After about 3 weeks, when I got a personal cell number for my agent, they said they had system issues with Allstate (couldn't get to any Allstate corporate system, including their voice mail or receive phone calls). They answered questions about the letter I had received and why.

Sent that in, however still receiving invoices from Allstate. The Corporate number said only the agency can remove the charges (didn't back date it even though I couldn't reach the agency). The agency still didn't have access to the Allstate system so couldn't do anything. Three weeks later, I've tried again. The agent is no longer with Allstate (wouldn't respond why, but I'm guessing because they couldn't do business without access to the Allstate corporate system, including getting phone calls). I've tried Corporate again to get the charges removed. They said there isn't anything they can do about removing the charges! This is not acceptable!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

This company has been awful to deal with. My car was wrecked by one of their clients' cars and that has been more than 30 hours ago and I am still not getting any information about when I can get a rental. I am completely at the mercy of friends for rides to and from work and to get my daughter to and from school. And tonight my daughter is missing her dance class because me having a vehicle to drive isn't a concern of anyone but me. Thank you Allstate for not caring about the other car involved.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

If you have a good agent, just about any insurance company can do a good job for you. The customer service and even the policies you buy are determined mainly by the quality of the agent you have. I have a good agent so I am happy.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Allstate is a nice company and they are a bigger one but they act like smaller one that just cares about the people who they are working with. I have never had a problem with them and they work fast and do a great job no matter what.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My family has used AllState since before I could even drive and none of them had a problem with it. Likewise I have used it and the price has been fair, support has been fantastic when it comes to any billing issues. My mother had a couple claims in the past year and each time they resolved it with the utmost ease to her and that alone gives me confidence.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Frankly everything has been good with my company. In times that I have needed have responded as it should be, in time and form so finally I'll stay with them and I dare to recommend them. The people of attention to customers have always been kind and empathetic and they have given me excellent treatment.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Coverage and price seem to be pretty similar to the other major insurance companies. I've only had one claim, and it was due to an uninsured driver who crashed into my car. The claims process was painless.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I've had different insurance companies over the years, both brick and mortar and internet, but Allstate's rates are unnecessarily high compared to most. I can't say there's anything that made their coverage or service better in comparison to most, so I don't see a good explanation for the high rates.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

My experience with Allstate has been great in my 20 something years of membership. I sometimes feel that I could find a better price elsewhere, but my agent is always available whenever I need him. He makes me feel like I am an important customer even though I am sure he has a long list of customers. I rarely file claims, so I only deal with him when renewing my policy.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

My coverage is great and my premiums are lower than other companies. I like the fact that my agent is local and can always reach him if I have a problem. I have had one claim, but it was taken care of very quickly and very professionally. I wouldn't change companies for the world.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've had Allstate for many years now, at least 10 years. One of my main complaints with Allstate is that my rates increase every year and I have to call in and threaten to drop my policies in order to prevent the premium increase. Customer service is usually good but it is still annoying having to play that game every year. In terms of claims I've found that Allstate was surprisingly easy to work with. I've only had one claim which came from hail damage and I was definitely satisfied with the ease of submitting a claim and the amount I was given.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've had Allstate for at least 20 years. But despite their ads, you do not get a good driver discount on the rate. Every year or two my rate has increased despite never being in an accident or getting a moving violation. I don't even want to think about all of the money I wasted, as I've never used their service. Auto insurance is a total ripoff. So it's isn't just Allstate that is tearing me a new one. The government is to blame for stealing money and allowing these companies to gouge the consumer.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

One of Allstate's clients drove recklessly and hit my vehicle head on. My child and I were injured and my car was in need of repair. Additionally part of my family has previously dealt with fatal head on accidents and this has thrown us for a loop. The claims agent and her supervisor provided minimal assistance and nearly encouraged me to use my own insurance to cover their client's wrongdoing so they would not have to cover the claim. When I expressed my dismay with their assistance they said they would meet the minimum legal obligation and that car accidents are merely unfortunate inconveniences people must sometimes deal with.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Allstate is really great in my opinion. I had an accident and they were quick to help me out of the situation, without making it any more stressful than it already was. The cost is appropriate and the best I could find in the area. Additionally, the customer service they provide is really first rate and I appreciate that they seem to focus on that so much.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

A couple years ago there was a bad storm and large hail fell on our area. My truck had a lot of damage afterwards. The Insurance company approved the repairs for the hail damage and even approved additional amounts of money that the repair shop added to the amount. My truck was fixed and looked great.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

The Allstate policies seem comprehensive, although priced slightly above others. Creating a claim can be troublesome, as getting back to the same person seems to be difficult at times. Reps are not always prompt in getting back to you. Overall though, it's a reputable company and does business well.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Overall Allstate Auto Insurance is great. The customer service is always prompt and they are always able to address all of my questions and concerns. They are friendly and really take the time to talk to me and find me the plan that will give me the best coverage at the most affordable price.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I like that I have a personal agent assigned to me that I can email personally when I need help, although he's not always available or quick to respond. The rates are far cheaper than competitors though, so coupled with the assigned agent, it's a no-brainer.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I like our insurance company. They are friendly and always helpful. But if I could change one thing though it would be for them to answer their phones instead of the automated answering service. I like to talk to a live person and don't want to keep pressing numbers to get to someone.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Been 8 months since I bought extended warranty coverage through dealership. Contacted Allstate 3x about what's included in warranty, each time I was told a packet would be in the mail, still nothing, a complete joke!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My representative is always friendly and responsive. They have a fast turn around time for questions that I have, and have actively worked to offer me the lowest rate and highest value possible for the package that I chose.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I've had a positive experience with Allstate, particularly in terms of customer service. My agent is great when it comes to communication, and when I have any minor issues her office is always able to help. Overall, I'm satisfied with the coverage and service.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

It has now been 53 days since my car was wrecked by one of your insured parties… I still do NOT have any information on how much longer before my car is repaired. I have contacted the adjusters (both) without success. I have spoken to the BMW dealer. I am 76 years old and have been dealing with insurance companies for a very long time. This is the first time I have ever had this much trouble with your company… This has got to be the worst customer service and feedback on a claim that I have ever encountered in my 60+ years of driving…

You people spend so much money advertising “You are in Good Hands” and then cannot keep up with claims or answers. I am finished trying to contact you about the progress on this claim. You can write me a letter and tell me when you are finished with this project…I am finished calling, emailing or trying to communicate with you people… I am copying my attorney as well… This is unbelievable

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I have had nothing but positive experiences with my insurance company and my insurance agent. Whenever I need anything the company is quick to react and to fax over whatever it is that I am looking for. I, thankfully, haven't had a claim yet. But, I am confident it would go smoothly.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I bought a car from my brother and we weren't sure how to go about transferring the title and whatnot. Also I had to get my insurance transferred from my Nissan to the Mazda I was buying from my brother. I called Allstate and they explained to me everything I needed to do from going to the DMV with the papers (and what papers, what needed to be signed by who). They were extremely helpful. And they got the insurance transferred from one car to the other. Extremely grateful for their help.

Allstate expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allstate Auto Insurance provides quality protection across the United States. It allows customers to adjust limits and deductibles to find the right insurance policy without paying extra.

• Complete coverage: Allstate offers customizable coverage options that can be tweaked and adjusted in order to include specifics, such as personal injury, broken glass, towing, etc.

• Teen driving discounts: They offer discounts on teen drivers while many providers increase premiums for teen drivers, even those with clean driving records.

• Coverage for other vehicles: In addition to car insurance, Allstate offers insurance for boats, motorcycles and other vehicles.

• Local agents: Allstate has agents and brick-and-mortar offices in every state, which means you can meet with a representative face-to-face no matter where you are in the country.

• Drivewise app: They have an app that customers can download to track your driving habits and reward you for being safe behind the wheel.

• Best for: Drivers with clean records and teen drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky