3.8/5 (1713 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate is an auto insurance company with a large network of agents throughout the country. It offers online quotes and provides coverage for cars, motorcycles and ATVs. You can file claims with Allstate online, and the company extends discounts for bundling multiple insurance policies.

Pros

• Coverage in all states
  • Various discount programs
  • Innovative technological resources

Cons

• Premium increases after first term
  • Ride for Hire not in all states

Bottom Line

Allstate offers standard auto coverage all throughout the U.S., as well as various discount packages. Its technology resources for drivers (e.g., Drivewise) aid in improving policyholders’ driving, which can help lower rates.

Top Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been a customer of Allstate for over 30 years.My agent Jordie ** and Assistant Dee makes sure I have the best coverage. When I had an accident, the claim was processed quic...

Verified

...after my agent retired, I started shopping around and found an Allstate agent who introduced me to a whole new world in insurance needs… Allstate's customer service has been gr...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Allstate auto insurance

Allstate offers auto, home, renters, term life, condo, motorcycle and business insurance, as well as other coverage options. Allstate’s agents give auto policyholders personalized help and technological tools like Drivewise, and the company also offers specialty policies — e.g., classic car insurance and auto coverage for travel to Mexico.

Allstate extends its specialized packages to teen drivers, students and rideshare operators. Its policies include rewards, a safe driving bonus, accident forgiveness and new car replacement. Accident forgiveness coverage ensures a driver’s rates remain the same after an accident even if it’s their fault.

Allstate auto insurance coverage

To get a quote for Allstate’s car insurance, you’ll need to provide your name, date of birth and address, as well as the year, make and model of your vehicle. You can file a claim and track it through the client portal. You’ll pick the type of coverage you want, choosing from:

• Collision
  • Personal umbrella
  • Uninsured
  • Rental reimbursement
  • Personal injury protection

After choosing your coverage, you’ll set coverage limits and select deductibles (make sure you take your state laws into consideration). Policyholders have access to resources like Drivewise and rideshare insurance, and some qualify for price cuts including new car and multipolicy discounts.

Allstate auto insurance rates

Average Allstate car insurance rates vary from around $1,770 to $1,983 per year. You can claim new car, multipolicy or teen driver discounts, and the company rewards good drivers with points that are redeemable for gift cards, sweepstakes and daily deals.

Allstate’s accident forgiveness policy ensures your rates won’t increase after an accident even if it’s your fault, and its Deductible Rewards program takes $100 off deductibles after sign-up and a further $100 off each year for safe driving (up to $500). Its Ride for Hire rideshare program provides deductible gap coverage for damages up to $2,500 but isn’t available in every state.

Allstate auto insurance FAQ

How much does Allstate car insurance cost?
Cost depends on various factors, including the driver’s age and car model. For example, a 25-year-old driver will pay between $2,000 and $2,100, a 35-year-old driver will pay around $1,850 and a 60-year-old will pay about $1,750. The average cost per annum is $1,880.
Does Allstate have comprehensive car insurance coverage?
Yes. Its comprehensive coverage is for damage related to vandalism, hail, fallen trees, theft and other circumstances.
How far back in your driving record does Allstate look?
In most cases, Allstate checks your record up to five years prior.
How can I lower the price of my Allstate car insurance?
You should avoid getting speeding tickets, consider changing your coverage and focus on safe driving. You might qualify for bonus rewards, which reduce rates for responsible drivers. You can also get discounts for signing multiple policies, buying a new car or achieving good grades. Setting higher deductibles or parking your car in a garage will also lower your premiums.

Is Allstate car insurance good?

Allstate offers an easy-to-file claims process, and its services are available nationwide. While its rates can be a bit costly compared to competitors’, Allstate’s auto insurance is a solid option for drivers looking for convenient and accessible coverage with several policy options and flexible add-ons.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Auto Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

Replacing a car is incredibly frustrating. On Fri I replaced a car on my policy. I never received the e-mail confirmation for this, but everything looked fine. On Sat I went to pick up my car. Called my agent to confirm my car is insured. After 2-3 min the auto answ. service couldn't take my call. Left a message; never got a called back. Called customer service who after a bit of searching confirmed my new car is insured. Drove the car home.

On Mon I receive an email that the policy didn't go through - had to contact Allstate. Tried chat. After telling my story a few times due to disconnects, I eventually was told to call a specific number. Called provided number and got to roadside assistance (????). Made several calls with Allstate to clear things up. Including 4 times to my agent (same non-response as before). Eventually, the car was added to my policy through customer service. I spent half of Monday calling etc to get my car insured. This NEEDS to be much easier. It is Friday again, and have not received my proof of insurance (policy online shows), but still can't register my car with the RMV because I'm missing paperwork. I'm out!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Well, I spent another hour or so on the phone again today with Allstate. My accident happened on August 30th and I was on the ball with reporting it right off to my insurance and the other driver's insurance, who has Allstate. Today is September 13th. My car is still sitting in my yard wrecked. Even though they have access to the police report from that day now, they STILL are looking for a statement from the other driver, whom they haven't been able to reach for 2 weeks. I was told I get to wait another week before I can even get a rental car... so 3 weeks with no car. Awesome. They have to validate "liability". It's Allstate's "policy" that they need both driver's statements, even though the police report clearly states she hit me when I was at a stop sign motionless... I guess if you're not the policyholder, they don't care.

I don't even know what a rental car costs upfront these days but I was first told I had to pay my insurance deductible (through my insurance, though I'm not at fault) and pay for a rental upfront before I'd get reimbursed for anything... so around 1500 or more? Not many people have that kind of cash upfront. I've got two kids and rent to pay, and I'm down a car right now.

If you have Allstate, you are NOT in good hands. I have never experienced such poor customer service experience in my entire life. I was lied to by several insurance adjusters, was given false hope and was told this would be resolved fairly quickly. "After four aggressive attempts we will move forward with your claim, regardless", is what I was told. I was also not aware they didn't have access to the police report right off.

Instead, my phone calls were dodged for a whole week and when the insurance adjuster finally contacted me after my several complaints were made, she claimed she "didn't lie to me, she just wasn't knowledgeable". I've asked to have someone else handle the claim multiple times... After doing ALL the research myself, contacting NC highway patrol, contacting and giving statements to both mine and the other party's insurance companies, filing several complaints, and obtaining and forwarding the physical copy of the police report that took almost 2 weeks for ME to obtain, I am STILL waiting on a resolution. No rental car and my car is still wrecked in my yard.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

I've had many auto insurance in my lifetime. Allstate claims policy is the worst. I've experienced. Unbelievable how they treat full coverage customers. Switching back to Mercury. Shocked! Unhappy!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

Do not work with Aaron. He is only about the sale and Mia informed me so not my comprehensive coverage has been dropped until I can get an appointment in October which was the earliest in my area because he did not inform me properly and told me someone would let me know where I could go to get the photos needed for the coverage. Wasn’t till I got and statement in the mail that I was notified that my coverage was dropped did I actually get information on where I could go for coverage. Had I known it was going to be all of this I would have bundled with Geico. However even though she couldn’t help too much due to the restrictions New York State has Nakima did he best to help fix the issue with finding me some other options that may not be super close but could get me in sooner so I can restore my coverage. She the only reason I haven’t canceled my whole policy and switched back to Geico!!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

I started my insurance policy with Allstate Insurance in NC because they gave me a cheaper rate than Progressive. My payments started around $170 per month my first six months. The next six months went up to around $200 per month. Then the payment went up to $236 per month, so I called the Allstate office in NC, I spoke with a guy since my representative wasn't available and asked him why does my policy amount keep going up, I didn't have tickets or anything on my licenses. He had the NERVE to say "INFLATION WENT UP". I have never heard anything like that from any insurance company I have ever dealt with. I let him know I would be seeking a new company since they increase payments from inflation, which seem as if they operate like a gas station, or grocery store.

I got a new policy with USAA for $69.00 per month for both my cars, then called and canceled with Allstate. They said nothing about any charge if I canceled because it had only been 1 week since I had paid the $236.00. Then they send a letter saying I owe them $180.00. I called and told them to take if out of the $236.00 I had just paid and canceled after 1 week.

So to say, if your insurance is going up because of "Inflation" you need to find another company because it looks like they will tell you anything. Then they put the $180 on my credit which is absolutely wrong when they got paid for insurance that was only used for 1 week after payment. I would never recommend them to anyone. I guess that's why they have such a bad reputation. They also bought out Esurance, ""PLEASE WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE ESURANCE EITHER BECAUSE THEY ARE A RIP OFF AS WELL. LOOK AT THEIR REVIEWS FIRST."" THIS IS A SERIOUS WARNING.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

Allstate 3 d's Deny, Defend, Delay. Accident May 2022, No inspection by the Adjuster, He created a false supplement, Declared car a Total Loss from false supplement, Used third party software for ACV and nope not talking about CCC one or colossus, refused and or omitted to adjust the vehicle options, Schedule unauthorized pick up of my vehicle without my release or consent. Adjuster do not have a License which is a requirement for the state that I live in. All this happen on the first phone conversation with the adjuster and the next 2 days after that, Too much to list here. Just agreed on settlement amount Aug 15 2022. Allstate still refuse to pay me unless I sign over my title, power of attorney, and release. Guess I will be back to let you guys how it went next week. #1 "Worst Insurance Company in America" not my words, The words from the American Association for Justice. **

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

I filed an auto claim with Allstate, my insurance carrier for several years, regarding a car incident involving my son who was covered under my insurance. There was a person claiming to be hurt and they sued my son and me. After several weeks, Allstate determined they would hire legal counsel to represent me, that I was covered at the time of the incident, and I met all the criteria to qualify for coverage. They retained an attorney for me and that attorney represented me for about two years until Allstate decided they no longer wanted to represent me, so they filed a lawsuit against me, suing me, so they could get out of their responsibility after they had made the careful determination to represent me.

I now have had to retain counsel to protect myself against Allstate who is suing me and wants me to pay for their attorney fees. I never knew an insurance company could be this vile and back out of paying for coverage they agreed to, and then turn around and sue me to not only get out of it, but then demand that I pay for the attorneys they decided to hire. Unbelievable. They have literally cost me thousands of dollars to pay for an attorney based on their decision-making.

Original review: July 29, 2022

Most dishonest, disorganized, disrespectful insurance company we have ever dealt with. Beware. They will do everything possible to avoid paying what they owe you, and will pass the buck endlessly until you burn out and simply switch companies. I imagine their stock has done quite well.

Original review: July 29, 2022

All state put me in the worst position ever... Never believe their agents nor take their work. All state overdraft my account. After I suspended my payment and changed the date they still charged my bank account and cause major overdraft fees. Not only that I had to miss my aunt's funeral due to Allstate not giving me my money back. It took 3 days before Karen from the resolution team called. She was rude and nasty. Overtalked me. Yelled at me. They then want me to call my bank. Have them send proof of my fees just to not return the fee for 5-7 days after. Allstate (Karen) never once apologized. Didn't have any empathy that I couldn't go to my mom sister funeral. I got paid and had to pay all the fees out my pay check causing me to be behind on other bills. Still haven't received any results or money.

Original review: July 23, 2022

I have been with Allstate for 30 years. My insurance went up $100 this past year. I called up the agent. They never called me back. I decided to get a quote elsewhere, it turns out to be $1,600 less a year than Allstate. I find this very troubling.

Allstate Auto Insurance Company Information