3.9/5 (1541 ratings)

About Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate is an auto insurance company with a large network of agents throughout the country. It offers online quotes and provides coverage for cars, motorcycles and ATVs. You can file claims with Allstate online, and the company extends discounts for bundling multiple insurance policies.

Pros

• Coverage in all states
  • Various discount programs
  • Innovative technological resources

Cons

• Premium increases after first term
  • Ride for Hire not in all states

Bottom Line

Allstate offers standard auto coverage all throughout the U.S., as well as various discount packages. Its technology resources for drivers (e.g., Drivewise) aid in improving policyholders’ driving, which can help lower rates.

Top Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been a customer of Allstate for over 30 years.My agent Jordie ** and Assistant Dee makes sure I have the best coverage. When I had an accident, the claim was processed quic...

Verified

...after my agent retired, I started shopping around and found an Allstate agent who introduced me to a whole new world in insurance needs… Allstate's customer service has been gr...

About Allstate auto insurance

Allstate offers auto, home, renters, term life, condo, motorcycle and business insurance, as well as other coverage options. Allstate’s agents give auto policyholders personalized help and technological tools like Drivewise, and the company also offers specialty policies — e.g., classic car insurance and auto coverage for travel to Mexico.

Allstate extends its specialized packages to teen drivers, students and rideshare operators. Its policies include rewards, a safe driving bonus, accident forgiveness and new car replacement. Accident forgiveness coverage ensures a driver’s rates remain the same after an accident even if it’s their fault.

Allstate auto insurance coverage

To get a quote for Allstate’s car insurance, you’ll need to provide your name, date of birth and address, as well as the year, make and model of your vehicle. You can file a claim and track it through the client portal. You’ll pick the type of coverage you want, choosing from:

• Collision
  • Personal umbrella
  • Uninsured
  • Rental reimbursement
  • Personal injury protection

After choosing your coverage, you’ll set coverage limits and select deductibles (make sure you take your state laws into consideration). Policyholders have access to resources like Drivewise and rideshare insurance, and some qualify for price cuts including new car and multipolicy discounts.

Allstate auto insurance rates

Average Allstate car insurance rates vary from around $1,770 to $1,983 per year. You can claim new car, multipolicy or teen driver discounts, and the company rewards good drivers with points that are redeemable for gift cards, sweepstakes and daily deals.

Allstate’s accident forgiveness policy ensures your rates won’t increase after an accident even if it’s your fault, and its Deductible Rewards program takes $100 off deductibles after sign-up and a further $100 off each year for safe driving (up to $500). Its Ride for Hire rideshare program provides deductible gap coverage for damages up to $2,500 but isn’t available in every state.

Allstate auto insurance FAQ

How much does Allstate car insurance cost?
Cost depends on various factors, including the driver’s age and car model. For example, a 25-year-old driver will pay between $2,000 and $2,100, a 35-year-old driver will pay around $1,850 and a 60-year-old will pay about $1,750. The average cost per annum is $1,880.
Does Allstate have comprehensive car insurance coverage?
Yes. Its comprehensive coverage is for damage related to vandalism, hail, fallen trees, theft and other circumstances.
How far back in your driving record does Allstate look?
In most cases, Allstate checks your record up to five years prior.
How can I lower the price of my Allstate car insurance?
You should avoid getting speeding tickets, consider changing your coverage and focus on safe driving. You might qualify for bonus rewards, which reduce rates for responsible drivers. You can also get discounts for signing multiple policies, buying a new car or achieving good grades. Setting higher deductibles or parking your car in a garage will also lower your premiums.

Is Allstate car insurance good?

Allstate offers an easy-to-file claims process, and its services are available nationwide. While its rates can be a bit costly compared to competitors’, Allstate’s auto insurance is a solid option for drivers looking for convenient and accessible coverage with several policy options and flexible add-ons.

Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Auto Insurance?

Original review: May 16, 2022

Allstate a a scam. Please do not insure your car with them. If you ever have Allstate insurance then make sure you have a lawyer at hand because if you ever have claim they don’t pay, never return calls and are good at falsifying documents. Please do your research and never use Allstate. They are the worst insurance company.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Allstate Auto Insurance cost is about average but the service is way below average. The Claim department doesn't answer the auto accident report phone calls. The Auto damage adjuster doesn't show up after a week of delay. This is the highest auto insurance cost company but the lowest quality of service.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I switched to Allstate for cheaper rate offer provided from the Baltimore office with Alexis on 3/8. I provided my Debit card information for payment and received an email with payment confirmation and insurance information. On April 26th I received a notice from MVA my insurance was cancelled on 3/10. I called allstate and provided my policy number, got transferred to the local office in Baltimore and received the worse customer service ever. Alexis no longer works there and the man on the phone was very rude. I avoided arguing with him and stated I'll just write a review after I get assistance elsewhere.

20 minutes later I received text messages from him (**) with a screenshot of returned check charges etc.. and a long message telling me I'm Shifting the blame. I refused to argue with this man but will pray that Allstate finds better representatives. I'm back where I belong and I'm covered. But today 5/6 I get call from Allstate trying to offer me discounted rates for combined auto and homeowners insurance. Please help me figure out what's wrong with this picture. If I'm the one with insufficient funds how am I eligible to be covered so soon with discounts. You get what you pay for and I'm good paying the right price for better service and coverage. Stay away from Allstate

Original review: April 20, 2022

I acquired a Mileswise policy in 9/21/2021. It was set to renew on 3/21/2022. I was contact at 9:05am by an Allstate rep concerning renewal. She asked why I did not receive renewal Docs and cards. I answered that I did not know why and that I had not received anything in the mail due to the fact I was enrolled in Mileswise program. She had me call a Milewise Rep for Allstate. At which time I was connected with Ms. ** in North Carolina. She stated that I needed to pay $174 for my renewal docs to auto populate in the apps so that the dates on the cards would be update. I gave her my card info and asked to make sure, and she checked with a supervisor. She said that it should update within 48 hours at the latest.

As I am now driving on expired documents. 2 days went pass and the docs never changed and I still had expired docs in the app and nothing ever came in the mail. I called back and made an escalated complaint upon finding out that the was a $300 unpaid overage on my milewise account. My escalation was handled by a Chris ** at their Corporate office who only conveyed the recycled statement of a $300 unpaid balance which was not seen until after I paid $174. I told Mr. ** that I no longer wanted to do business with allstate. I was then told by another rep that the policy would cancel if I did not make payment by the 5th. I did not and proceeded to other insurance. I explained that it is seriously dangerous for me as an African American male to ride with expired documents as this would only cause problems. Especially when I have paid what they asked for renewal.

After getting new insurance I called on the 9th to tell them that I am canceling because I have a new policey, a gentlemen told me on 4/9/2022 that I was due a refund because I had paid that $174 as a "renewal" and now I am canceling the policy. I apprised him of the entire situation and he was sure of the refund. I did have to call again as he placed the points of our conversation in notes.

A LaDonna called me today to state that I was not entitled to a refund. I stated that requested was not manufactured by me. The gentlemen state that I was entitled to the refund. She said that my Policy was reinstated on the 12th due to my payment on March 21st. I explained not insurance company should allow a customer to ride on expired documentation if he has done as instructed. Plainly Allstate's actions were negligent and oblivious to the fact that I rode on expired docs and this was unfair and dangerous to me as a consumer. I would not recommend and further action is forthcoming.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I was rear ended at high speed by one of their policyholders in December. Their driver was given a citation. My car was written off so I put in a claim with Allstate. I was given a name and number for an adjuster for my claim when I called her I never got through to a person, I left multiple voice mails which were never returned. I called customer service many times which every time I was asked to go through what happened at the accident and told someone would get back to me, nobody ever did. I finally had to go through my insurance as I needed a car. It took Allstate 6 weeks to admit fault. They never did contact me to see about injuries missed time off of work. I always have to call them. After this experience I would never use Allstate as my insurance company, terrible customer service.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

This is the worse company. I was reared by an Allstate insured, who was issued a citation. The adjuster chopped my estimate down by 800.00 and told me I had to get the cheapest aftermarket parts. She or her supervisor has not returned my calls, when I call the representatives continue to put the call back in queue. I have never had an accident, my car was in Mint condition as I had just gotten a Carfax report from the Lincoln dealership who has performed all maintenance on my Lincoln. I had Excellent condition Ford parts but Allstate will not allow my vehicle to be repaired to the condition as it was prior to the accident. I had Authentic parts, not aftermarket. Customer service is horrible and unprofessional.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

I have had their insurance for around a year and half. First it started out good, the price of the insurance was great, they had my car, motorcycle and house and the rates were great. I hit a Deer and that's where I started having issues. I put in my claim, they never called me, I had to call all the time just to find out what was going on and where my claim was at. They did pay off, again I had to find out by calling in instead of them calling me. I never heard from my agent during the entire time of my claim. They did pay me off Quickly and fairly for my car after I called in to find out what was happening, they had it solved a week prior to my call but did not pay until I called.

I called to cancel my policies because I could not get an online quote, I was adding 2 vehicles and another driver, I had to call in, I called in 3 times, each time I got a different quote in a range of $400 difference. After I cancelled, 3 days ago it still shows up as being active, I have no idea how much I'm getting back. Their Computer system is slow updating, they told me it would take 48 to 72 hours to update, it's been that and still showing active, there are docs that show I cancelled but only the docs, no move in their system. As you can see, their system must be antiquated and I had lousy service, the prices are near the best if you don't mind bad service.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I do not recommend Allstate, I had an incident on January 7, the day of the snowfall, I filed the claim and Allstate does not want to pay, the adjuster that they assign the adjusters does not want to pay, the estimate was sent separately. Allstate requested a new estimate from workshop, I have been there for three weeks and the adjuster has not wanted to evaluate so as not to pay, but if one is days late if they are calling you to threaten you with the DMV to suspend the insurance, you think it is fair that Allstate be paid every month now at the time of an accident Allstate washes its hands notifying that the damage of the accident has not been evaluated when they already have all the estimated prices, I have been with Allstate for 10 years and I already realized that Allstate does not work. They only want to be paid their monthly payments and at the time of a claim call the claim department and they don't know how to answer you.

I do not recommend Allstate. Look at other insurance that actually pays for the damages. Allstate no longer works. It is just a name and advertising. Take a good look, between the claims offices and departments they do nothing, and when you have an accident, ask for the budget in the body shop about how much the fix will cost you and don't let the Auto Body shop charge you the supplement because between the Allstate adjuster and the Auto Body shop they agree so that the Auto Body shop charges a hefty sum of money without needing to. I do not recommend any supplement, ask for the estimate beforehand and pay exactly what the paint shop is charging, do not let the supplement be charged, that is scam and theft...

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Supervisors are too good to speak to the customer. I talked to a rep that contacted a supervisor within 1 minute, the supervisor asked him to ask me questions instead of answering the call. Then I have to call back 5 times still no supervisor. Total of 5 calls and 2 hours still no one to help. This is a joke. We pay a lot of money to them clowns.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

After preaching in the car for my son we called in to inform the insurance that this was a new car and it was assigned to our son and they added the car to the policy. But when he got into car accident they said he wasn't included in the policy but yet they took all my money and the car was added with no problem so we end up paying to fix our car out of our pocket. After that we just continue our policy with them as well as our resident home and our rental units.

Allstate Auto Insurance Company Information