Allstate Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

My family has been a loyal customer to Allstate for years (maybe 20+) with our family auto policy, homeowner policy, and landlord policy and I have a spotless driving record. In 2015, I was a victim of hit and run, thus I had to use my auto insurance to cover the damage. My original intent was to hire a lawyer to save me some headaches dealing with aggressive adjusters but Allstate convince me that “we will take a good care of you” and “lawyers will only blow things out of proportion”. They ensured me that I can take as long as I needed with my treatments and after it’s all done, they will take care of all the damages.

After over a year of treatment, I was becoming very frustrated with continued pain in my neck. I couldn’t figure out why no Chiropractor and Physical Therapies weren’t working. They took an x-ray but there was no fracture found. Right around then, Allstate became impatient and began sending me letters to let me know the “treatment should come to an end as after all, it was just a minor accident”, they will “need to review all the treatments to see if they were appropriate” and they may reject some bills based on their findings. I was shocked. What happened to “we want you to get fully better” “we will take a good care of you”.

To my surprise, they offered me a settlement far less than the total bills incurred. I made multiple inquiries on it but their response was “This is our final offer. If you aren’t satisfied, you need to go to arbitration and may consider hiring a lawyer”. They know very well no lawyer would take you in the middle of a case. I called over 10 lawyers, but no luck. I finally found 1 who sympathized with my situation and said it’s upsetting how a big insurance company bullies client who only want to get the bills paid. He agreed to take my case, had me visit another doctor and ordered an MRI. The results showed I had disc herniation in my spine. I underwent 2 procedures in 2016. My lawyer went back to Allstate, demanded all bills to be paid + loss wage + pain/suffering for 2 years. Needless to say, I switched to another insurance company.

An insured individual of Allstate hit my car over a week ago. I immediately contacted Allstate regarding the accident. After taking my statement, they determined fault with their insured. I was instructed to use an app to upload pictures. The adjuster prepared an estimate for less than $350. Which is joke considering the type of vehicle that I drive. I was told I would receive a rental comparable to my vehicle. That was not the case at all. I received a rental that doesn't even have a phone charging option in the car. My phone calls have not been returned from Torrey **, who is suppose to be the claims adjuster. This hasn't been a very pleasant experience at all. I would not recommend anyone to seek coverage from Allstate.

My son was hit by a driver whose insurance company finally assumed 100% liability almost 3 months after the accident. Unfortunately, Allstate is my son's insurance carrier and they refuse to pay the 3,500 worth of emergency room bills stating that my son "waived his PIP coverage". I really doubt that he signed the waiver and I have yet to see any document from Allstate showing that he did. I think their business practices are unethical and deceitful. They won't even pay out when they're guaranteed to get the money back via subrogation when the claim is settled. I guess being a "good neighbor" means telling everyone to ** off when they try to file a valid claim. They are one evil organization, IMHO.

Allstate is the worst company for customer loyalty. I have had Allstate for over 20 years. I have never had a moving violation or accident claim. I had a small mishap. Someone had parked in front of my driveway late at night. I did not see them when I pulled out of my garage, but then they were there and I literally rolled into them. Allstate said it was my fault and raised my premium by two thousand dollars a year! Really TWO THOUSAND! The repairs to both cars were less than that! Got five other insurance quotes that lowered my premium by $1700.00 a year even with the mishap. Customer loyalty is not in their vocabulary. I also have my homeowners insurance with them. I guess paying my premiums on time for both policies over twenty years doesn't mean anything to them. Don't ever go with Allstate. They don't have your back!

If you don't turn in an odometer reading in a timely manner to a specific processing address (and NO your local agent can't take it) then you are charged with an exaggerated yearly mileage use to increase your rates. The only way to fix it is to send a verified odometer reading from a repair shop that shows a lower reading. I was trying to get my last reading from my local office for a nonoperational vehicle (over a year down with no battery = no reading available) and the computers had been down. I wasn't able to get back before the deadline on the paper. Now I'm screwed for an extra $30/month until I get better insurance. That nonoperational vehicle went from 1500 a year mileage use to 17000 a year mileage use. At the bottom it says if inaccurate contact your rep. I did and he can't do a darned thing about it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Allstate has a policy to deny car insurance claims because it saves us money. When a client causes an accident, it is the policy of Allstate to say the other person was liable despite the police report. No company has to follow the officer's statement of who was at fault. When Allstate states you are at fault and you're honestly not: report them. Writing on a blog won't help. Report them to ALDOI if you are in Alabama. And the insurance agency in your particular state. They strip you of all dignity when you work for them because they give you no option to be honest with people who may have lost everything in an accident that is not their fault.

Allstate responded quickly when I called with a claim. Actually, they responded so many times I called back asap to get them to stop reaching out to me. They helped me update my information and transferred me to a person who could get me a better agent as well. I was happy with that. Adjuster: The Chelmsford MA adjuster was a bit of a jerk. He treated me like a dumb woman and having a background in insurance and a brother who's a mechanic, it was insulting. HE suggested a different auto body shop than the one I have used in the past- this was unusual as Allstate doesn't promote shops, but I took his offer to heart (a MISTAKE). The adjuster, when he stopped talking & got down to it, was quick & I got out of there.

Claim Service: Claims Agent Nikki was very nice and pleasant. The website was handy- especially when the body shop kept claiming they submitted the paperwork but Allstate wasn't getting the fax. We drove over, took a pic of the paperwork & uploaded it in 2 minutes. Suddenly the body shop's paperwork was faxed in. I'm not sure who's at fault - it was ridiculous though. The website and App are helpful to have some form of control over it.

Rental Car: Coverage was fine, Enterprise worked well. BUT Allstate canceled the coverage before I got back to my state (I was 6 hrs away when repair completion was called into Allstate) and after I picked up the car & returned the rental I called to get the final day paid for. Here's the bizarre thing: The Claims Number DIDN'T WORK. Suddenly, Nikkie ** was gone. I sent a message via the website, no response, no access via the phone. Nothing. So I guess we pay the extra fee for the rental. Glad it won't break us- but it's poor service- especially after the claims person assured me herself that the rental would be paid until I had my car back. Guess not.

Recommendation: Clear up when things happen early in the process- before they select "Claim Closed" in their system. Also- be sure to communicate with agent about how Allstate communicates with repair shop, car owners should have some involvement. So a good claims process turned not so good by disappearing behavior. We are switching this fall to firms via a general insurance agent. No more 800# insurance policies for us.

I've had Allstate Auto and Homeowners Insurance for 5 years. I have made NO claims, NEVER had an accident, no tickets and am in the same vehicle. My rate has gone up $313.00 a year for being a perfect customer. Wow!!! What a horrible company!!!

Have homeowners insurance with Allstate for a very long time. Purchased auto insurance less than 2 months ago and now have been terminated. Our agent told us to disregard a termination letter due to them not receiving a certain paper. He said these letters were customary and to ignore it. We decided to fax and mail what the letter said to do.

We were told their fax machine is broke and they never received a letter. They first gave us a fax number that didn't work. We were promised the situation would be fixed and were told by customer relations that we should be covered within 24 hours but could not guarantee it. She even told us we should have not been terminated but could not and would not promise we would have our coverage back. In the meantime we are driving around with no coverage for 2 cars. Our agent promised to mail us a letter stating everything is fine and we will soon be covered again. He mailed us a quote for life Insurance. I would most definitely say Never choose Allstate.

The last time I filed an auto insurance claim was 1986 (excluding a cracked windshield in 1999), and no tickets or accidents in 30 years. On July 28, 2017, my fairly new Honda CRV with fewer than 7,800 miles ran across road debris. Not an accident, but the tire immediately lost pressure. I pulled into a convenience store parking lot. With six 70-millimeter screws holding my spine together, I was unable to change the tire. I phoned Allstate Roadside Assistance. A wasted two hours! When Alexa put the third call on hold for 23 minutes, I disconnected and phoned the repair shop where a certified mechanic changes oil and rotates tires.

He advised calling Tire Kingdom, which provided the phone number of a tow truck owner who was there in ten minutes. Although Allstate's non-assistance rep said I'd have to wait four hours and the cost of assistance would be $150, part of which was covered, Poinciana Towing charged only $50, which will be reimbursed. Thing is, 14 calls to Allstate have yet to even obtain the form to submit for reimbursement. Three of the calls were dropped by Allstate's phone system, and the reps did not call back, though they had access to my policy and contact info. I can only imagine what would happen if this 65-year-old actually had an accident and filed a claim. When the policy expires on December 15, I'll obtain a new policy with a reputable company. Avoid Allstate at all costs.

My wife was rear ended while traveling to work in March 2017 by an Allstate client. At first all seemed well; then day 2 we were told to return rental vehicle immediately, don't get medical attention because we wont pay, and then that no tow bills would be paid either. They never sent an adjuster to see vehicle but argued with me that car was drivable. I asked them to come show me how because I can't get it to move. Absolutely no action. After hiring an attorney they have offered about half our actual loss so we're headed to court. Our attorney has already won a case against said defendant before and feels sure our case is only a matter of going through the miserable, wasteful process. I've been running a successful business for over 35 years and I've dealt with many insurance companies, governmental agencies, law enforcement, etc. but I've never seen such a show of arrogance. They shouldn't be allowed to do this to people!

I believe all insurance companies have turned into thieves ever since it has become mandatory to have insurance. Insurance companies have become the million dollar jobs because they take your money and don't have to do anything. However, Allstate is at the top of my list due to their unfair practices of denying to pay claims even when they have a police report that states who is at fault.

I had an accident where their insured was at fault. We all went to the police station together to file the report. After submitting the claim to Allstate, they refused to fix my car. They said that their insured said it was our fault. Allstate had the proof of who was at fault, yet they still refused to fix my car. I have never had insurance with Allstate. However, I will never ever consider getting insurance with them. If they were the only insurance company, I would rather pay the fine than to take up business with them. I will turn away from any/all commercials they advertise and I will discourage anyone/everyone from any of their business.

I have been with Allstate for a little over a year and I have been with a lot of insurance companies including MAIF and by far Allstate is the worst! In the short period of time I have been with them. They have cost me money and caused me stress. I was involved in an accident that was not my fault but because I had PIP included in my coverage I filed a claim just so I could get my medical bills paid. They could not even do that without causing me to owe medical bills that were submitted to them that they failed to pay. Then I switched banks and since I have automatic payments set up I called them to set up the payments out of my new bank and also updated the info online. On the day the payment was due I called them and made a payment through a representative to alleviate any confusion.

A representative from this incompetent company submitted a payment to my old bank after I made a payment costing me overdraft fees that Allstate refused to reimburse. Then to add insult to injury they charged me a return check fee on top of everything else and refused to take the charges off of my account even after they admitted they made a mistake. If I could give them zero stars I would. Please people!!! It is too many insurance companies out here. Don't waste your money AND TIME WITH ALLSTATE! THEY ARE A RIP OFF AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS POOR. I AM OFFICIALLY SWITCHING COMPANIES!

I am so glad I have Allstate Auto Insurance. It really made me feel like I matter as a customer. Customer service was so nice and they had great answers for the questions that I asked. They explained everything in a fashion that I understood so there was no confusion. They was very helpful and answered the million questions that I had plus they kept in contact with me until my claim was closed.

Allstate has penalized me for someone else hitting me. I am a safe driver and have never hit anyone but Allstate is charging me a surcharge because unfortunately someone hit me twice in a small amount of time. I think is highly inconsiderate of the customer.

The overall policy coverage is acceptable but I don't like the fact that premium consistently keeps going up at least once a year with no extra coverage or benefits added. Also, Allstate needs live operators for assistance 24/7.

When my wife had an accident on a dark secluded road late at night Allstate's "roadside assistance" was a joke!! Whats the point of having emergency help when the APP doesn't work. They make you go through a gauntlet of hoops on the phone with no constructive solution to the emergency. I will be purchasing AAA roadside assistance... I have had it in the past and Never had problems like this...

Our local Allstate office was prompt and professional. They walked me through the process efficiently and fairly painlessly. The only mistake they have made so far was telling me our rental car coverage allowance is $50.00 a day for 30 days. We rented a car under the assumption that this was true. Now we are stuck paying the difference, because the claims office informed me that the allowance is only $30.00. My wife had to take a car back and plead with enterprise for the new lower rate. I've been with Allstate for close to 20 years. Depending on how high my rates go up because of my wife's accident will determine my future longevity with the company.

From the very first day of trying to contact him. He would not answer my calls or my emails. I would call the 1-800-ALLSTATE. Get ahold of someone who would transfer me to his voice mail. My car was totaled by their client. They would only allow me to have a rental for 3 days a week after the wreck. The first week I spent my days trying to get ahold of someone to give me a claim # so the rental place could bill them. I missed 850.00 worth of work which he says they will not cover at all. Because I could not get ahold of him. Then he tells me it's my responsibility to get to and from work and to cover the rental car when the accident was not my fault. I was in a head-on collision with their client. He pulled in my Lane.

Then they had an adjuster come out and look at my car. Told me it was totaled and then had it towed away so I called the agent again and asked him, "Well if you took my car then you're taking liability. Where's my rental?" and he said, "We're not taking liability yet" so why did they already take my car? They didn't take responsibility for 7 days and they took my car to second day. Now 3 days after I've had the rental I have to take it back. I still haven't gotten the check for my car. I haven't even been able to look for a car because I don't have a car. I have to go to work tomorrow and have no car to get to work. They need to do something about their procedures or train him better. He's out of Denver Colorado. I'm in Omaha Nebraska.

If you ever get hit by an Allstate customer be prepared to be put through the ringer. My car was hit and repaired by them, but my depreciation of claim was denied! When your car has been hit it's your right to be compensated because your car's value has just gone down.

February 2017, I had a horrible car accident with my children, a lady t boned me as I was coming across the road, looked both ways did not see her she was going pretty fast, it made my car flip over and roll. Anyways my husband called the insurance company and talked with our agent they said that everything would be covered. When the accident was apparently ruled my fault, they tried saying "oh your insurance was lapsed..." And we paid the payment.

Long story short needless to say we're going to be out 25,000 dollars due to the other lady. Would never recommend this company. It took from February 2017 till July 2017 for them to do their investigation and for them to tell us they would pay for nothing... They need a lawsuit slapped against them, I've come to learn you are not in Good Hands with Allstate. Sad thing is they sent the court house a copy of my insurance, When I got pulled over for a head light that I didn't see was out... I always had to stay on them about sending insurance cards as well...

My car was rear ended by someone who has Allstate. And you would expect since both of our insurance providers is Allstate the process would be easy. My car ended up being towed due to repair being more expensive than the car is worth even though it was a 3-year-old car. They under appraised and deducted the cost of keeping the car at the repair shop for appraisal and tear down. Allstate only allowed me to keep the car rental for 3 days. So I had no car and still haven't received settlement amount. Allstate "Total Loss Service Adjuster" service is awful. Their response time is awful. I was dealing with Kendra ** who left messages twice in two weeks and has not called back. Once I get my settlement I'm leaving AllState for good. AllState motto should be "AllState you will not be in good hands".

I tried to stay with Allstate (auto), however after they kept raising my rates even when I asked them several times why I can't lower it. They kept saying there was nothing they could do. So when I finally found another company less expensive, I had paid a month by automatic deduction from my bank account. I was only 7 days in for the month, I asked for a refund for amount unused which was practically the whole month. They refunded me 1/5 of the payment which I am totally upset over. After 2 emails requesting they check this and fix it, they will not. They think they are justified with their decision. However I'm going to file a complaint against them. They are overpriced and not a nice company to deal with. The rep I had to deal with was just not a nice person. Never again, Allstate stinks.

I had to file a claim for vehicle damage a few months ago while on an out of state trip. I was assured by a pleasant sounding representative that everything would be fine and taken care of, and that Allstate was there to assist me in any way possible. I was equally assured that using an Allstate approved body shop would make the process run much more smoothly. That Allstate approved body shop reported back to Allstate and myself that even though it was convenient that the body damage and mechanical damage happened at the same time, they were unrelated issues. Allstate therefore only covered the body damage and left the mechanical damage unresolved, even after I had paid my deductible. In addition to my deductible, I had to pay out of pocket for a week's worth of a rental car as well as an overnight hotel stay while trying to baby my still defective car 11 hours to my home after it was released from the body shop.

Now my car sits, dead, at my home. I purchased the car six years ago and had paid it off completely within the first month of purchase, including an extended warranty. I'd kept up on regular maintenance as well as anything that came up along the way and I have the meticulous records to prove it. Before this incident I had yet to file a claim and hadn't, in my entire driving career, been in an accident. I carried full coverage because it made sense to me that if anything were to happen, I would want the situation resolved without incident. The resources and responsibility that I've invested into this vehicle ceased to matter when I trusted Allstate as my car insurance. On top of spending my savings on this disaster, I'll have to either finance repairs or another pre-owned vehicle, either of which requires a monthly payment that I have already paid over and again in the form of a monthly Allstate bill.

Insurance is supposed to be a protective factor, but this company has simply taken what I've worked for. In attempting to resolve this issue, I've made attempts to contact my agent, none of which have been returned. A month ago I stopped trying to contact anyone and am now spending another night on the computer trying to find a way to fix this. It's really not that easy to scrape up a few grand for repairs when the savings has already been depleted on the same issue. The ads on television make this company look like a cut above the rest; if only that were true. Consumer money pays for those ads, but for what? It's been a shame to have trusted this company with a valuable asset. Whether I can fix this car or have to finance a new one, a different company will be paid to protect it and little by little, Allstate will lose the money handed to them each month for their plush advertisements which, in actuality, amount to nothing.

Allstate has been an absolute nightmare to work with. I was rear ended by one of their drivers in April and am STILL fighting with Allstate to have this resolved. The body shop that I took my car to provided Allstate with an estimate for the required repairs that needed to get my car back to the pre accident condition. Prior to the accident, my car was in great condition and well cared for. Allstate's adjuster, Jessica **, agreed with the repairs, but said they needed to run the value of my vehicle to decide whether to total my car or pay the repairs. I provided all necessary documentation to aid in the value of my car. I was told that I would receive a response in 48 hours at the very latest.

Four days later, after I left several unanswered messages, I finally heard back from Allstate. They said that they could not work with my body shop. They did not agree with the required repairs and refused to pay to have my car fixed. They also would not total my vehicle either. So, Allstate is admitting that their driver was at fault, but is refusing to pay to make me whole again. Allstate said that they do this to several drivers a week. They have taken away my livelihood and are walking away from their responsibility. As the driver at fault's insurance company, Allstate has done everything to screw over the victim. To top it all off they have also tried to wiggle out of paying for my rental! They are the most disgusting company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

When they state Allstate "You are in good hands". Let's see if you really are in good hands. Your coverage seems fine until you get in a accident and need Allstate to repair your vehicle. Allstate appraisers allow the cheapest used or aftermarket parts replacement for your vehicle, they don't care about the quality of the parts going to your vehicle. Also they do not cover the necessary procedures needed to proper repair your vehicle. They want to shops to perform the procedures for free. They want to allow for USED structural parts replacement for your vehicle, that's something that can easily compromise the safety of the vehicle.

Also they do not comply with State law. A supplement was requested on a Friday, they only showed up for the supplement inspection on the following week Thursday. Massachusetts state laws states: The insurer shall assign an appraiser who shall personally inspect the damaged vehicle within three business days of the receipt of such request. So... Is this what you get when "You Are in Good Hands"?

When I requested 3 times to stop my auto ins coverage from agents office (Tonda Phillips) the office failed to inform the consumer that the dates need to be specific in order to comply with North Carolina law. Had the office informed me of that I would not have to pay the $50.00. NO disclaimer was told to me about the importance of exact date. The agency had to refund me money because I was paid till June, but misreported the new end date. Which now I have learned is easily accessed by ALL ins companies online. Her (Tonda's) response was "We are not lawyers and do not provide disclaimers". Aren't the agents responsible to keep the consumer informed and in compliance with the law?

I am very upset and highly disappointed with Allstate. I have been with Allstate for several years and hydroplane the end of last year. Ever since my claim, each renewal policy continues to increase. In order to receive any discount you have to be accident-free even if it's not at fault for three years just to be eligible. That's a load of crap. How do you think people are going to stay with this car insurance if loyalty is not reciprocated. I believe it's unfair and no value to stay with this company that will blackmail you with rate increases. Like hello, what happen to customer satisfaction!!! Please add me to the survey team so I can seriously look into making the company better. No one cares so don't waste your TIME, MONEY, and YEARS of LOYALTY with Allstate.

I was riding my bicycle when a car driven by a person insured with Allstate, did not yield right of way to me and hit me sending me flying across the road. I was scraped up badly on my arms and legs. My bicycle was also damaged. I got a message from my doctor that the insurance company Allstate did not want to pay the bill. The Allstate driver admitted in the accident report that it was her fault entirely. Eventually Allstate paid the doctor bill only after they got a reduced rate on the medical bill. I also submitted a bill to repair my bicycle, but they never paid me a dime. My bicycle was a $2000 road bike, that had less than 500 miles on it. They are a cheap and underhanded organization, that I don't recommend anyone do business with. We are not in good hands with Allstate.

I would not advise Allstate Insurance for auto insurance. My daughter had an accident back in January 2017. Within two weeks, the other parties' insurance (Allstate) denied the claim based solely on the recorded statements alone of both parties. Needless to say it went to arbitration and the 3rd party decision ruled that my daughter was not at fault based on the recordings, police report (which Allstate did not even have at the time their decision was made), and the eye witness' report.

Now we have to use our insurance company and probably go thru arbitration again to get our car fixed. The repairs will most likely be under a $1000, wouldn't it speak highly of an insurance company to not only take care of their own customers but also take care of the other parties involved when proven that they were not at fault. Here it is July and it will probably take another 4 to 6 months to get these minor repairs done. DO NOT GET ALLSTATE AUTO INSURANCE. This has been a nightmare. If needed, I can supply any reports necessary to verify my experience.

Poor auto liability coverage - After being hit by a young lady who had Allstate Insurance, Allstate delayed approval of coverage for a month, and after a month of driving a wrecked car and after begging for my car to be fixed, Allstate encouraged me to use MY insurance (and pay a $500 deductible - seriously?!). They rushed/hassled my body shop, was very rude to me and body shop workers, over explain everything and refused to pay for all the rental car repairs stating after the fact that "I SHOULD HAVE DROPPED MY CAR OFF ON A MONDAY INSTEAD OF A THURSDAY". After I had to wait an entire month to get them to accept responsibility and start repairs. Terrible experience. Now I know why people fake illness and hire an attorney!

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Allstate Auto Insurance provides quality protection across the United States. It allows customers to adjust limits and deductibles to find the right insurance policy without paying extra.

• Complete coverage: Allstate offers customizable coverage options that can be tweaked and adjusted in order to include specifics, such as personal injury, broken glass, towing, etc.
  • Teen driving discounts: They offer discounts on teen drivers while many providers increase premiums for teen drivers, even those with clean driving records.
  • Coverage for other vehicles: In addition to car insurance, Allstate offers insurance for boats, motorcycles and other vehicles.
  • Local agents: Allstate has agents and brick-and-mortar offices in every state, which means you can meet with a representative face-to-face no matter where you are in the country.
  • Drivewise app: They have an app that customers can download to track your driving habits and reward you for being safe behind the wheel.
  • Best for Drivers with clean records and teen drivers.

Compare Auto Insurance