Allstate Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was with Allstate for 3 years up until I got into my first accident in well over 10 years. They had me thinking I had accident forgiveness and come to find out that is in a gold or platinum package, I had the silver package. Every year my agent switched. I tried contacting every agent that was assigned to me but I had no luck. I left several messages. I left email and phone messages and got zero response. After my accident my premium went up an extra 185 dollars a month. There is no way I was going to pay that. I left and got Plymouth Rock which I pay 161 a month. I wouldn't refer anyone to Allstate. They are the worst insurance company out there. They need to stop with their false advertisement on accident forgiveness. My girlfriend had the same problem.

I was with Allstate for approximately two years with no accident and great intentions of the company. On 1/24/2017 I was hit from behind and my vehicle was totaled and towed away but I was not worried at all; at least I thought I should not be from an insurance company that quote "You are in good hands with Allstate." Good hands I felt like I was dropped. It is almost a month later I have not heard from the insurance company and the other person company State Mutual offered me only 1020 for bodily injury.

Like wow, is that really all I'm worthy. After all I was hit from behind and pushed into another vehicle in front of me. My company has not been there for me at all, have not kept their promises as stated in the insurance policy. I'm so sick of paying my money to a bunch of ripoffs. I just don't know what to do, if I could rate my company Allstate a 0 would be what I will give them. Never again will I go with them and I will never refer anyone to them ever. BAD experience of my life.

I have been a faithful customer of Allstate for approx. 17 years, went to make my new payment on my renewed policy and noticed the price more than doubled. After reviewing my policy I found allstate added my ex-wife's children to my policy without my knowledge. We have been divorced for 10 years and the children are not my children and have never lived with me. They have different last names however allstate changed their last names to mine when deciding to randomly add them to my policy. I called my (local) agent in Waycross GA Robert ** whom has been my agent for the entire 17 years but now is several hours away from me and was given the runaround for hours trying to speak with an agent so I found another insurance company. Later an agent finally decided to call me and said it's my fault that allstate probably sent me a survey asking if they lived with me and since I did not respond they were added.

How could allstate randomly pull two teenagers with whom I have not seen or spoke to in 10 years change their legal last names to mine and add them to my policy and include their personal info such as date of birth, age, driving record etc. I am sure someone allowed this and I believe it was done through the agent's office because during the hours of runaround I was given, the receptionist called asking when I added them and when I was divorced and what were their legal names. If this is a random survey why ask this info. To make matters worse after the agent called and said it was my fault I stated I wanted the renewal policy canceled. She said I had to come to the office to sign something. Her name was Amy. I informed her I was not driving several hours for that. She said she would email it and then stated something to the effect she was going to get me a credit for the time since they were added so I would not be out extra money.

Bet since I was canceling she then hung up on me. I tried calling them and my calls rang once and then straight to voicemail. I called allstate 1800 number but it transfers you to your (local) agent. Same result straight to voice mail after one ring. I blocked my number and was able to get an agent who then called another agent who stated to fax a letter to cancel my policy. As of yet I have no idea how long I have paid for unauthorized people on my policy or even if my policy has been canceled yet.

I have been a customer since 1997. Perhaps have used the service 5 times at the most. Those times assistance was sent. Usually with a significant wait which is understandable taking into consideration storms, traffic etc. Today at 12pm, a clear day, no large scale emergencies in the area I called for assistance as my car would not start and it seemed like the starter was gone. The woman that helped me was very nice and efficient. This review is not to criticize her. After giving all my vital information and verifying who I was we got down to me needing a tow to my mechanic located a few towns away. I was calling from a busy shopping center on a very well trafficked road. Many business, homes etc. I was not in a rural area. The CSR told me she would find their service providers in the area and call me back with the findings.

She did call me back in 5 or 10 minutes to tell me that all of their service providers were busy and could not tow and I should contact a tow company on my own and charge them back. I told her I have no idea who the tow companies were where my car was broken down. Then asked when the service providers could take the tow thinking it was a timing issue. She said that was not an option and she didn't know and I should contact a tow company. I was getting a little irritated at this point and told her that I had my 92 year old Aunt with me and this is Not acceptable. I pay them to find me a tow. She apologized and explained again their providers were busy and had no idea when any of them could provide service and if this was an emergency to call the police and they would provide a list of tow companies in the area. I told her that she should call the police and get the numbers and call for me. She told me they can't call the police.

Already my mind was made up I am leaving this organization. I told her I would be lodging a complaint not against her but the terrible service provided. She apologized again and said she would try again to find a tow for me. I did call the line and asked to make a complaint and after going over all of the personal information again told the story. Again the CSR was a perfect gentleman and asked me to hold on a minute and he would check. Came back and told me the other CSR was trying to obtain a tow. Told him I understood. I wanted to file a complaint with the company re terrible customer service etc. We went round and round re the situation. Finally ended the conversation with me saying thank you. Not sure for what. The original CSR did call back and had found a tow but it would be 2.5 hours.

In the meantime I contacted a station near the town where I live and got them to come the 15 miles and get me. I am not getting the service I thought I am paying for. I understand a wait, perhaps a long one but to tell a customer to find their own tow is unacceptable. And if I knew that is the way things go I would make sure to bring names, numbers in my car of service providers and call myself or call one not in the network and charge it back to Allstate. Perhaps that is how they are running their business. No providers and everyone charges the bill back. Not what I am looking for.

My wife pregnant and I are Allstate customers, have been for 3 years. On Nov 30, 2016 my wife was hit in the back by your insured Carina ** causing $1794 in damage the entire bumper needed to be replace. As a result my wife was injured. This has been a horrible experience and a unbelievable amount stress and anxiety. Deanna ** was assigned to claim. Deanna did not won't pay for rental. I requested to speak with someone above her. After 2 weeks Sherri ** approved the rental while my SUV was being repaired. Sherri ** also stated she would not pay for my wife Wedding Ring that lost a baguette diamond during accident a total of damage of $650.

I open a Diminishing Value Claim that was assigned to Elmer **. I send him over 3 different formulas all values between $6000 - $7000. Elmer stated "I am going appraisal your car and if I don't agree with your estimates I won't pay." I asked Elmer "are you a Texas License Appraiser." Elmer stated "I am a adjuster that what we do!" I contact TALCB. Elmer was not listed. Andrew ** contact me and stated no one is a license appraiser but we are license claim adjusters.

On Jan 5, 2017 Andrew contact me stating "a appraisal has been done by Texas Diminishing Value in the amount of $1181". I told and sent Andrew a email Texas Diminishing Value sent me 3 days before appraisal stating they would get me 3x the amount of total damage. Andrew didn't respond until 2 days later and stating he talked to the guy and he didn't mean that!

I asked Andrew "who oversees your job duties". He informed me all David **. I contact David and he stated he think this is fair $1181 and it is final!!! He stated Perry ** stated my car been in a prior loss, that why my Diminishing Value Claim has been impacted. I provided him with a clean accident history Carfax and instaVIN.com. I told him I can't accept that offer and reproduced my 3 formulas. He stated it final again.

I spoke with "Donna" of Texas Insurance Commission at 3:50 pm Jan 25, 2017 and I explained to her that I am a Allstate Insured and another insured hit my wife in the back. I told they accept fault, but claim adjuster Sherri ** is looking at my policy at wife health care bills, using them to not pay medical bills in full. "Donna" stated that is a Federal Law Violation of HIPPA. I contact Sherri via email and informed her of my awareness.

I sent her a pic of a email of me telling my insurance company do not use subrogate for reimbursement, because was my wife and I need the other party policy to cover Pain and Suffering and Personal Property and etc posted date Jan 11, 2017. Check was payout Jan 16, 2017, so my company accepted my request. Jan 23, 2017 I received a email from Sherri stating Allstate will pay $915 for bodily injury. I reply $915 my wife medical is $2550 and make counter offer.

On Jan 24, 2017 Sherri sent a email stating she value our claim at $3050 and $2000 would go to the lien because they owe the lien. How does Sherri know what my policy payout $2000? Because Sherri looked at my policy. I told Sherri you owe my Lien nothing. We pay them for protection. Everyone that have touch my claim made 1 offer. Sherri ** $500, David ** $1181. These offers were final without negotiating in Good Faith. I believe all these people work in a Houston TX branch together and due to personal relationship, they are acting in Bad Faith.

This is the conflict which is the reason started my complaint. Clearly she violation my and I privacy alone with HIPPA due to looking at my wife medical bills without our permission! Clearly there multiple Texas Code violations, even privacy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

I contacted Allstate to let them know, I had cancelled insurance with their company and was told to fax the info, from my new insurance company, which I DID, even before I was to pay, they still took the money out of my account, which left me with nothing. When I contacted allstate, I had to show proof that the money was taken out of my account, and even then I have to wait until they return money back into my account, it has been since 1-27-2017, and I am still waiting for my money. I have had two checks bounce because of this, and no money left for anything, until they put it back in my account, and the worst thing about it is that it was nothing to them, but I need my money!!!

I have been reading all the bad reviews about Allstate. My husband plus I were part of the 2016 Louisiana flood and believe me - we lost our car! The day I could swim to safety, I took 2 important papers - homeowners insurance (lost the home too) plus the auto insurance. I claimed on a Saturday the loss of the car. We still had not been rescued, and by Tuesday, Allstate was calling to see how we were doing and to get the claim activated. Within 15 days or less (time just kinda goes by when you are in stress mode), we had the car towed and the claim was done and we had the monies for a new one. You can read bad reviews about every insurance company and YES, your rates are ALWAYS going to go up.

For those of you who tend to hide your heads in your butts, I would guess you are unfamiliar with the reality of life. And for those who wonder why your rates go up for other floods and etc. that happen around the country, I actually asked so I could become more informed. Here is the answer; You are part of a pool of payees, and just like ANY insurance (health, home, auto) you MUST pay the monies to keep the shareholders happy. Just remember one thing and maybe your life will feel OK. NO insurance company cares about you - it is about making money for their shareholders. If you do not like making others rich, go to your congressman and fight to have insurance (all of them) removed from our society and then maybe you all would not whine as much. Pull up your big boy and girl pants and deal with life. I have been thinking of changing, myself but you can find bad reviews about each and every insurance company.

I purchased renter's insurance on January 12th and then immediately cancelled it the same day due to my roommate purchasing it herself and regretting to inform me. The agent Mary told me that she already processed the payment in a literal 3 minute time frame and then told me she'd put a cancellation on the payment. Instead of cancelling it, she still ran the payment on January 17th.

Now, I know renter's insurance isn't a large sum of money, but as someone who lives paycheck to paycheck, I cannot afford to have anything taken out of my paychecks without me including it in that month's budget. It is now January 30th and I had to follow up again to not only be told that it didn't show up in their system at all at first, but it is now being processed and can take anywhere between 7-15 business days. I will take fault in the purchase before I had all of my ducks in a row with my roommate, but the lack of care for those of us who do not have very much wiggle room is extremely upsetting.

Their insured ran a red light and hit our truck which had a green light in the intersection. She was ticketed by the police officer, who took the traffic report. Her insurance carrier has not accepted Liability for damage to our vehicle. They claim their insured said she is not at fault, even though there were two witnesses to her running the light. They will not accept liability until they talk to both witnesses and the officer. One witness has come forward, but the claims person for Allstate has not called them back yet. And, the police officer is calling them as well. So far, they are not picking up a car rental for our totaled vehicle. According to the insurance commission they can hold us up for up to 30 days. Meanwhile, we have rented a car at our own expense. I caution you be careful of Allstate Insurance, they don't care if their client is in the wrong or not, they will do what they can to not pay a legitimate claim.

Allstate is a great insurance provider, although I do wish they would take a proactive approach to coverage options, suggestions, etc... It took 3 weeks to complete my claim for a total loss. I was not happy but they were very nice. Customer service is always top notch.

Allstate is a great company. I have been with Allstate many years and they have always come through. Did have a claim once and they took care of everything. Customer service is excellent and they always answer your questions or concerns. At this point, I just have liability because my car is old and I think the premium is a little high being that it is an old car. That would be my only complaint.

I was the victim of a hit and run accident in May 2016 on the highway. I had purchased 10,000 in medical coverage. After six months, I still have one injury from the accident. This was an injury documented within two weeks of the accident. I still had over one third of the benefits remaining. Allstate medical claims policy staff began suggesting it had been too long since the accident and suggesting the injury might not be due to the accident. They are requiring I go to an independent medical examination and in general, my relationship with MY INSURANCE COMPANY (not the company of the women who hit me) has become adversarial. I DO NOT RECOMMEND Allstate.

When you think of Allstate commercials you think of being in good hands but that's not the case. I was rear ended by one of their consumers to start this off. Not only did they try to minimize the injuries my wife and I had but they tried to make it sound like it wasn't a bad wreck without even seeing or being involved in the wreck. The two people I spoke to, (one from claims and one from rental), only knew two words, "within reason". They refused to cover a rental because they said my vehicle was drivable even though I dropped it off in the shop for repair.

Things wrong with picture... 1. Vehicle isn't drivable if the auto body shop needs to disassemble. 2. All of their shops that they recommended either couldn't handle my vehicles size or they were booked two months out. 3. If I'm injured due to your consumers negligence then don't tell me it wasn't that bad, you are not a doctor. 4. When I ask to speak to your supervisor and you tell me that you are the top guy, don't lie to me. There is always someone higher in the food chain. 5. When you continue to say within reason make sure you outline the boundaries on what that means because I don't know what that means for me without it being written in black and white and I can read it for myself. My recommendation for anyone that has to deal with a driver carrying Allstate, make sure you work your insurance to go after them and save yourself the headache.

Allstate has been our insurance company for 30 years. We have had one claim on our house, one auto accident and one water damage claim on a rental house. All three times, Allstate was quick to evaluate and pay. I have never had to wait or argue about parts or prices to have the houses and car repaired. All three incidents were very costly. Every person that I dealt with was beyond nice, fair and concerned that everything was being handled in a timely manner. The service is beyond compare but the prices are getting out of control. I have 7 vehicles and 3 houses and the monthly bill is really starting to hurt my pocketbook. Hope they take a look at the prices they charge and try to hold them down.

Please read this... I was insured by Allstate, on September 30, 2016 I woke up to my vehicle gone. I called the police and Allstate. All was going well until their claims investigator Gregory ** became involved. I had given all information to the police. I was questioned by Greg as to why I had such "good" insurance on my old vehicle, it was a 2000 Dodge Caravan. As his investigation went on he decided I needed an EUO examination under oath, by their attorney which is actually an interrogation.

I sat in a room for an hour being grilled by their attorney asking the same questions over and over each time with different wording and was again asked why I had "good" insurance on my van. I was then asked why and how I purchased my 1995 sedan. As the questioning went on I was asked about oil changes and where I got them done. Usually I go where there was a sale so it was pretty much all over town and because I fail to mention Jiffy Lube according to them I was lying.

When I had given my police report I had mentioned that I thought maybe a mechanic that I had spoken to could have something to do with my vehicle. Gave all that information to the police. I was then asked by the attorney why I didn't go out and look for my vehicle or go to this gentleman's house. My response was that was the police's job not mine and because I said that according to Greg I was being deceptive. My claim was for only $2,500. I asked the attorney if I was going to get a copy of this report directly from the reporter as she was an outside party. Never received an answer for that question but I was told that I would get the document within 5 days. I received the document 8 Days Later directly from his office with of course some untruth in it, I had asked numerous times if I should have an attorney representing me and of course that was not on the report.

My claim was denied according to Greg for unable to provide truth about maintenance and because I didn't go out look for this mechanic myself which I was told by the police not to do. Allstate is the worst. They will lie so they can refuse a claim. I will follow up with the BBB. During this time I had been keeping in touch with my Allstate representative. According to her this always happens. Numerous complaints from some of her other clients as well about their claims. Horrible for even agents to respond this way. STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY DON'T AND WILL NOT LOOK AFTER THEIR CLIENTS!!!!

Allstate is a great company and very competitive. I have a great agent and price is fair. Also, filing a claim is not a hassle. I called Allstate, received an claim rep who came to my house within 2 days. A check was cut within 7 business days, and work was completed. They called to make sure I was completely satisfied. I love Allstate.

Had a accident 6/13/2016, put claim thru Allstate, Liberty Mutual claimed 100% liability. Allstate has put claim in subrogation. Why good questions even months out I received more information contacting Liberty than Allstate. They won't answer what hold up is. This process is stopping any recovery on my behalf. I have classic vehicles, cannot use classic insurance. I have a open claim so I pay full premium.

I was in a very minor accident in Dec. 2015. It was a scam since the man driving ran across the road and snapped pictures of me sitting in my truck and the front bumper dented. Two months later he claimed he had a herniated disc from the accident and I was at fault. I had two witnesses that both said they saw what happened. The man was driving his girlfriend's mother's car, was stopped and had no brake lights on. Allstate paid $7000 for an old Chevy Suburban and $25,000 for his injury! I couldn't believe what happened.

I investigated this guy myself and found he was living in Sect. 8 housing with his girlfriend and her mother. When I protested to the adjuster, she said "we don't want Allstate to be known as a company that doesn't pay". Are you kidding? Can you spell SCAM? I struck the right rear of his bumper at 19 mph. No direct impact and no possibility of a herniated disc. He had a Medical Discharge from the Navy and I believe that he found a way to make money by pulling this scam.

I'm not crazy about Allstate but they do have a diminishing deductible. Each year you don't have an accident they reduce your deductible by $100. They do treat you fairly well and rates are competitive but no one can beat that diminishing deductible. The girls in the office are the nicest you could possibly find although the agency is six hundred miles away from where I live. Also, they do demand that anyone over 55 must take the state of Florida Defensive Driving Course, every three years. All in all, I would recommend Allstate to some people as they may not be for everyone.

I first had a policy in 1963 with this company when I had a minor ding. After some early discussions on fault Allstate did negotiate a reasonable settlement. They have served my purposes well for 30+ years in 3 Provinces. Except for a few years in Sask I retained their Insurance over the years because I couldn't find a company that compared!

On one claim, my daughter barely bumped the car ahead of her. The man she bumped claimed his car had over $3,000 damage. Our car had zero damage, verified by Allstate after another body shop said the same and that there was no way it could have done $3,000+ damage to another car. I tried to help them launch a fraud case but they didn't seem to be interested. We've had some disagreements when two claims were being processed, but our insurance agent is the absolute best and her local old school service is why we don't go to any other company. And there is no perfect insurance company, I'm sure.

We've had our adult daughter on our policy after she had a D.U.I. on New Year's Eve more than six years ago. Many companies will not accept D.U.I. clients and Allstate has for us, and putting our adult daughter on our policy lowered the rate for our daughter who has never had any problems again. This will last for 10 years. 2. We have also put our grandson on our policy until he turned 18, when he was driving a car registered in our name. He later transferred to his father's policy when he bought his own car in his name. Overall, Allstate has been the best for us, especially with our local agent who has given outstanding customer service and their office is near our home for total convenience.

My former experience with Allstate was great when it was managed by Dan ** and the one that followed. However when Brandy ** took over the office it was a totally different story. Every year was a raise in my premium. After filing a claim, my payment jumped to $400 more than the year before. When it jumped to the $400 level I made a definite change in companies.

Although costly, Allstate is available to assist in your concerns and explains thoroughly the procedures and policies. They will try to find the best coverage possible. I have both home and auto insurance. The representative is professional, knows what's available or what needs to be changed and makes you feel valued. When I filed a claim, they were quick and took on the responsibility of getting a rental car to my home. They contacted me regularly about my satisfaction with the repairs being made and after it was concluded. They will contact me about any changes or just to be sure that I am satisfied.

It was a nice experience because I got cautious service from our representative. I had personal service and great service and they have great personality when helping me. I am happy with the service and they answer any questions I may have about insurance.

On 1/9/2017, Monday, I somehow picked up a Leatherman multi-tool on my passenger front tire on my way home from work approx. 6:00 pm. I contacted the roadside department to report my situation and was told I would be called back with the information on the company that would be assisting me with (by now a completely flat tire). Of course no call. I was able to reach a friend to help and was able to get me home. Again, contacted roadside and was told that the only available company was 50 miles away and I would have to pay some out of pocket costs. I suggested they contact a company AC Towing and was informed that this company did not do service calls of this nature.

I was told I "again" would be contacted as to which company would now come to my residence to change the tire. NO call. I called again (this is the 3rd call from me). I was told "again" to be expecting a phone call or text message of the service provider and the time of their arrival. Today is 1/11/2017 and I have yet to receive either one and what is more unnerving that I have not even received a call from Allstate to check on my situation. I did go in and talked to my agent on Tuesday, 1/10 and she was not aware this had even taken place??? Very disappointed on this service, which is advertised as 24/7 assistance.

I was in an accident with a guy who had Allstate and he was at fault, I had to run around and take care of everything because Allstate is some lazy **. They offered me the cheapest of compensation, rental, parts etc. and when it was all said and done I had to pay $500 in rentals because it took the adjuster a long ** time to do his supplements and they told me I had exceeded their timeline for repair. ** being in good hands. These guys don't give ** about you and all the inconvenience it is for you to take care of another careless driver's mistakes that they insured. You're literally in the worst hand with this company and on top of it I got nothing but used parts on my new truck because the dumb ** adjuster said it was a month old truck. Avoid this company at all cost. If not you'll definitely live to regret it then it will be you writing a review.

Allstate is the worst car insurance company, they do everything in their power not to pay on or fix a vehicle when their policy holder is at fault. I have been without my car now 3 weeks and the claim is still not resolved. Initially the day of accident it was stormy, raining and I had the man in driver seat come into my office to exchange and discuss what happened, it was not until later that afternoon when it had stopped raining I noticed my car was pushed up against a tree breaking my back right tail light.

I called them and informed of additional damage. They said it was too late to claim it... really 2 hours later, it has been a fight ever since. The man driving was so old he should've had his license suspended years ago, he did not know he had hit me, that could've been a small child he backed up over. Very unhappy with the way I have been treated. THEY ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST IN CUSTOMER SERVICE. I am now looking into having a suit against them, all they had to do was fix the damage that was done, now it will cost them way more than a repair.

They did the job without too much hassle. I would give 5 stars for the claims but 2 stars for keep increasing the premium without even letting you know or care if you did have or not accident or tickets. I was with Allstate for almost 4 years. Every 6 months they will raise the premium. In the 4-year I stopped and chose a different insurance company that I hope it will do better on being transparent.

Rates seem stellar for all that I have. Been with them a while despite rate checking every few renewals. I've been impressed with the call center staff - always US based folks oftentimes pursuing advanced degrees and very clear about their day job work. I've had policies in AL, FL, VA, and NC. Umbrella, homeowners, landlords, renters, auto X4, etc. Very flexible company with many options. No problems reaching local agents at any time either - customer oriented.

My parked car was rear ended by an Allstate insured almost six months ago, and the level of service I received has been deplorable. My claim has yet to be resolved and the staff has been cold, unreceptive and unhelpful in this distressing process. It has been a nightmare getting to work and ushering my two children around all this time without my car. My youngest child is autistic and is sensitive to extreme light, sound and large crowds. It has not been an easy task taking him on crowded buses and trains, and walking in the freezing temperature to the train station.

I am being offered less than half of what my car is worth and my attempts to negotiate are being met with unsympathetic and disinterested remarks. My car was very important to me. It was my first car and I feel that I was wronged when the other driver plunged into it. They are adding insult to injury by making this ridiculously low offer that could never purchase a comparable car, even if it were doubled. I am sending copies of this letter to Allstate's CEO and District Manager, my states attorney general, the federal trade commission and consumeraffairs.com for posting.

I reported the accident on 8/5/2016 as soon as I received the driver's insurance information from the police. My car wasn't inspected until 8/15/2016 though I was promised it would be in 2 to 3 days, meanwhile, the other drivers car was almost finished being repaired. In early August 2016, I received a call letting me know that my car will be removed from the tow truck company. I only agreed when I was told that I could request my car back at any time and it would be returned at no cost to me. I could not find a comparable vehicle for the claim amount that was offered, so I asked Susan to return my car and fix it instead. At least then I would have a car. She told me that I would have to pay to have it returned and I would still only get the reduced appraised value and not what it cost to fix it. It is very frustrating to work with a company that does not stand by their word.

My car was deemed a total loss and in the first valuation report, most of the vehicles used were 2004 vehicles; since my car is 2003, they then deducted an average of $1,000 due to the fact that the vehicles they chose to use were 2004. Also, most of the vehicles were from NJ and PA. It is a well-known fact that vehicles in those states are much cheaper than prices you would find in CT. I sent in my own comps which were all 2003 vehicles from CARFAX and CARGURUS.

I was told that I needed to re-submit these, to include the States that they were being sold and the phone numbers. I pointed out that these are very popular websites. This information could be easily found online. I was told by Susan that they do not have time to look up this information. I offered to email her this info separately. I was told that I had to resend everything with the requested info printed on it. I was in the process of getting these documents together when I was notified by Susan that my car was revalued and they added a measly $100 to the value. It turned out that they could not use my comps because the values were TOO HIGH. The new comps that they used were still all from NJ and PA, which do not truly represent what similar vehicles cost in CT.

They also made huge deductions for prior damages. They deducted for the left side mirror, which was replaced and functional, my front bumper which was not damaged before the accident, and the rear of my vehicle when their insured completely smashed it in. How are you going to deduct for prior damages to the rear, when because of your insured there is no rear anymore? That only leaves the two left doors which are online for $100 each. They deducted over $1300 for prior damages. They also made deductions of over $600 for existing condition, for silly things like missing wheel covers, lightly soiled seat/carpet.

I objected to the deductions and was basically told to take it or leave it. At this point no efforts are being made to assist me. When I send emails I get no response until a week later. I do not believe that this is lack of service is fair, and it makes me feel like I'm being ill-treated because I'm not Allstate's insured, and I can be discarded because my car isn't worth much, so I'm not important.

I am requesting to be paid fair value for my vehicle, based on my comps and research this would be at least $5000. I would like the deductions for prior damages to be reduced to $300. I think this is more than fair for 2 scratched doors. The deduction for existing condition should be removed; It is an unfair practice to charge me for slightly dirty carpets on a 2003 vehicle. I'm sure the comps that were used in the valuation are not squeaky clean. It is expected that these vehicles will have wear and tear.

Finally, I'm requesting to be compensated for all the months I did not have the use of my vehicle. All this time I was given a take it or leave it attitude, and genuine attempts were not made to reach a fair resolution. I got so frustrated at the lack of interest, that I asked Susan to transfer my claim to someone else, and her response was the claim will not be reassigned to anyone else for handling. I'm just asking to be treated with fairness and with respect.

My wife and I have/had several policies with Allstate. I had a commercial liability policy and a commercial auto policy for my small business through them, and my wife still has her auto policy and our homeowners policy with them. Before I get to the bad, the only good thing I can say is about my local agent. The only thing he was good at was returning calls and answering questions. Outside of that, I think his hands are tied by his price gouging parent company Allstate and there was nothing he could do to keep my business. To lay the foundation, my wife and I both have perfect driving records with no tickets, accidents or claims. In addition, I have never had any claims, accidents or tickets through my business. Both our credit ratings are very high 700's and we are extremely timely in paying all debts.

When I noticed in 2014 that my business premiums were creeping up, I called my agent, and he said all rates are going up due to the flooding from recent hurricanes. Not sure why this affects us as we live in Northeast PA, and do not even need flood insurance and has nothing to do with my business or our home and vehicles. He said there was nothing he could do but o.k. I liked him and trusted him. 2015 went up more, by 2016 my combined business policies went from $2,518 in 2014 to $4,985 for 2016. Again, no claims, tickets, etc.

Enough was enough, so I went to a new insurance agent who carries multiple lines. He did say Allstate agents hands are tied when it comes to premiums and Allstate agents cannot offer competitive pricing from other carriers. In other words, if you're an Allstate agent, that's all you can sell. Well, my new agent doesn't carry Allstate which I am glad about, and he was able to offer multiple quotes from large name companies. Long story short, by switching my commercial policies to Amguard Insurance Company I am saving $2,750 per year. When I paid my first installments, my new agent sent a letter, that I signed, to my Allstate agent and we cancelled the Allstate policies for my business.

The policies were indeed cancelled, but I received an invoice from Allstate trying to collect $419. I threw the invoice out knowing the policies were cancelled thinking it was just timing on Allstate's part. Month later, received another invoice which I disregarded. 3 months later, I get a collection letter, that Allstate has submitted their past due invoice to, stating they will affect my credit rating if I do not pay.

Being overly cautious with my credit history, I called an 800 customer service number for Allstate. They stated the $419 is due, and it is called "an early termination fee." I did not sign any renewal notifications committing to a year, and all my monthly premiums were paid up to date at time of cancellation. So I decided to try and call my local Allstate agent, who still carries my wife's car insurance and our home owner's insurance. He stated the same thing... early termination fee, fully aware that I already cancelled 2 big policies with him, and am on the verge of cancelling the other 2. I guess their hands truly are tied. We did get new quotes from my new insurance agent on our other polices, and once again they are drastically less with a $730 savings per year. Unfortunately we have to wait 3 months to cancel as we do not want "early termination fees."

My goal here is to inform all consumers to stay away from Allstate. They have extremely high premiums, agents that cannot do anything about it, and then when you do change, in my opinion use criminal tactics to squeeze even more money from you. I am not sure what my next step can/will be. Is there a consumer action we can all take, or civil complaints? You can be sure I will research this to find a resolution and try my hardest to steer as much business away from Allstate that I can. In the meantime, shop around and avoid Allstate at all costs. Because if you don't, it will cost you in more ways than you can imagine.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Allstate Auto Insurance provides quality protection across the United States. It allows customers to adjust limits and deductibles to find the right insurance policy without paying extra.

• Complete coverage: Allstate offers customizable coverage options that can be tweaked and adjusted in order to include specifics, such as personal injury, broken glass, towing, etc.
  • Teen driving discounts: They offer discounts on teen drivers while many providers increase premiums for teen drivers, even those with clean driving records.
  • Coverage for other vehicles: In addition to car insurance, Allstate offers insurance for boats, motorcycles and other vehicles.
  • Local agents: Allstate has agents and brick-and-mortar offices in every state, which means you can meet with a representative face-to-face no matter where you are in the country.
  • Drivewise app: They have an app that customers can download to track your driving habits and reward you for being safe behind the wheel.
  • Best for Drivers with clean records and teen drivers.

Compare Auto Insurance