2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.60/5

Allstate is a well-known auto insurance company that has a large network of local agents. The company offers online quotes and provides coverages for cars, motorcycles and ATVs. Customers can file claims online, and the company provides discounts for bundling different types of insurance policies.

BOTTOM LINE

Allstate is the third leading car insurer in the U.S. serving all 50 states with a massive network of local agents and 3,500 repair shops. Its financial strength ranges from good to excellent. Many customers are satisfied with Its auto claims servicing. It carries a range of coverage options and discounts.

PROS

• Accident forgiveness available
  • Above average rating on claims satisfaction
  • New car, multi-policy, smart student and more discounts

CONS

• Some customers experienced occasional premium increases
Allstate Auto Insurance Get a Quote

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I'm only with the company for probably I would say 5 years. To me that's still a little too early to give an honest opinion with no real big claims other than minor. But the only reason why I'm still with Allstate is because of my local Allstate store. Most of all my local Allstate dealership is in my town. The individuals there make you feel like you're family. They even send you a happy birthday song when it's your birthday. They really go the extra mile to make sure you're comfortable and if you have any questions feel free to call them at any time. Most of all the prices are pretty fair to coverage is very good.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

My 2000 Ford Super Cab Truck and my Harley Davidson 2013 Triglide Trike both were with AAA Insurance until AAA raised the rate on my Truck because someone else hit the truck. By Law not supposed to do that. But they did anyway. So I looked elsewhere, went to Allstate who I have been super happy with, rates go down yearly and I get 10% off for being a HOG member Harley Owners Group. Have exactly the same policy for both. And pay LESS.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Sometimes I don't get follow up. Explain my policy and what actually cover's. Have heard a lot of negative things about their coverage. Not covering things. Ask them to take a look at my roof after wind damage and they said my roof was fine but I'm not having any leaks but the roof has several shingles missing and I'm wondering why they didn't say it was in the damage. Close friends said they drop Allstate because they called out about roof damage and some other damages and they denied the claims. Why is that even in the hurricane season. I've heard but they gave me a good price on my coverage but why pay for coverage if they won't cover it. I don't understand that so I'm thinking about choosing another one another insurance because my very good friend said she had been with Allstate for years and she had to let him go because they didn't cover the roof damage that she had.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

My agent always emails me on any new issues with my policy. He's very friendly. And my rates are reasonable for my budget. Allstate keeps in touch when and if my rates are going to get higher or lower, they never lie to me or keep secrets from me. As to my previous carrier, they were always raising the price every month without notice to me. And they never communicated to me on what's going on with my policy. Plus when I tried to call the agent of the old carrier, they were never available. Allstate has not disappointed me for 5 yrs now. My old carrier was State Farm, I will never go back to them. Allstate is #1 to us.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I've been with Allstate since being added to my parent's policy at 16. I'm now 53 and have never had a problem with any claim. The service has always been fast and reliable. I even had a claim that I thought I could fix myself and waited 6 months before realizing I couldn't and couldn't really prove what happened anymore and Allstate took care of it in a week on my word of what happened. All the Allstate representatives have been amazing! I will never go anywhere else. Thank you to everyone at Allstate! Keep up the great work!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Auto Insurance?

Original review: June 29, 2020

Allstate billed me for a tow for more than the tow company who also charged me. When I asked for them to refund the charge, they said they cannot and I must go through the tow company. I sent them the receipt for my tow in which the tow company also demanded that I cannot receive the towed item until I pay them directly. I asked Allstate for their copy of the billing, they responded that they cannot share the bill with me because they never received a bill. Hung up on me and refusing to refund duplicate charges.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Please go to "**" to see my experience in detail and share your experience with Allstate to help others make a better decision. After paying my premium for 18 years, for the first time I needed allstate to restore my home after wind damaged my siding. They asked me to get them an estimate because they didn't want to send anyone in person. My contractor estimated $11k which I thought was reasonable but Allstate gave me $1,154 after my deductible of $1k.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I had a crack in my windshield because of the model I was told by their glass claim department that I had to go through a dealership. First the dealership had to get approval that took almost two days then when installed I’ve been getting the run around different people different instructions, can’t call them need to send an email and they will call back within 48 hours. I am now going on a week without a car and still waiting for phone calls. I spent 45 years in the insurance business and this company has brought my anxiety and frustrations to a new level. Avoid Allstate at all cost.

Original review: May 20, 2020

There is no way for me to contact Allstate directly. My local agent doesn't respond to emails and doesn't answer the phone or return my calls. When I call Allstate corporate, my call is transferred back to the local agent. The phone app isn't working and transfers offers a phone number with an unhelpful automated response. What would I do if I had an accident? I was left no choice but to cancel my insurance and sign up with another company. The silver lining for me was that my new insurance company is higher-rated, offered better coverage, added renter's insurance, all for a MUCH lower premium.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Allstate is not a cheap insurance. I am in my mid 50's, single, head of household and drive a mini-van in the suburbs. Allstate intermittently raised my rates. I was registered for Auto-pay. In Jan, the payment went through fine. In Feb the payment denied. In March the policy was canceled. I think I was signed up for paperless, so I didn't receive the usual mail. I had not been checking my email. After hours of researching through Allstate and my bank, it turns out Allstate did NOT enter my address correctly as they had in Jan. The bank did a "hard decline" and rejected payment. I called Allstate back and explained the issue, asked if they would re-instate my insurance. They declined - They would of course write me another policy. I will not use this company again - they do not hold themselves accountable. -

Allstate Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company’s accident forgiveness means rates don’t go up after one accident, no matter who’s at fault. Customers also have options when it comes to limits and deductibles. The company’s Milewise program offers coverage based on mileage driven per day and is a good option for those who don’t drive as much.

• Coverage and plans: Allstate offers base insurance in line with state laws, plus additional offerings like new car replacement, roadside assistance and rideshare insurance. Allstate writes policies for auto insurance in all 50 states.

• Cost: The average monthly rate for Allstate auto insurance is approximately $158. This is on the higher end of car insurance costs.

• Discounts: Allstate has discounts for safe driving, new cars, early signing, paperless billing, bundling and good students.

• Standout feature: Allstate has a network of agents in all 50 states.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor