Fast Free Quotes

Allstate Auto Insurance
3.75/5
Based on 1,443 ratings submitted in the last year

Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate sells auto, home, renters, motorcycle and life insurance. Allstate isn't an InsuraMatch partner at this time. To get multiple quotes all at once in less than 10 minutes, call InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Allstate is the third leading car insurer in the U.S. serving all 50 states with a massive network of local agents and 3,500 repair shops. Its financial strength ranges from good to excellent. Many customers are satisfied with Its auto claims servicing. It carries a range of coverage options and discounts.

PROS

• Excellent financial strength to meet its claims obligations
  • Discounts include new car, multiple policy, smart student, anti-theft device and anti-lock brake discounts
  • A leading car insurer in the United States
  • Offers Allstate eSmart, EZ pay plan, FullPay, early signing, responsible payer, accident forgiveness, deductible rewards and Safe Driving Club discounts
  • Above average rating on claims satisfaction

CONS

• Some customers experienced occasional premium increases
  • Prices are slightly above industry average

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I'm only with the company for probably I would say 5 years. To me that's still a little too early to give an honest opinion with no real big claims other than minor. But the only reason why I'm still with Allstate is because of my local Allstate store. Most of all my local Allstate dealership is in my town. The individuals there make you feel like you're family. They even send you a happy birthday song when it's your birthday. They really go the extra mile to make sure you're comfortable and if you have any questions feel free to call them at any time. Most of all the prices are pretty fair to coverage is very good.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Sometimes I don't get follow up. Explain my policy and what actually cover's. Have heard a lot of negative things about their coverage. Not covering things. Ask them to take a look at my roof after wind damage and they said my roof was fine but I'm not having any leaks but the roof has several shingles missing and I'm wondering why they didn't say it was in the damage. Close friends said they drop Allstate because they called out about roof damage and some other damages and they denied the claims. Why is that even in the hurricane season. I've heard but they gave me a good price on my coverage but why pay for coverage if they won't cover it. I don't understand that so I'm thinking about choosing another one another insurance because my very good friend said she had been with Allstate for years and she had to let him go because they didn't cover the roof damage that she had.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

My agent always emails me on any new issues with my policy. He's very friendly. And my rates are reasonable for my budget. Allstate keeps in touch when and if my rates are going to get higher or lower, they never lie to me or keep secrets from me. As to my previous carrier, they were always raising the price every month without notice to me. And they never communicated to me on what's going on with my policy. Plus when I tried to call the agent of the old carrier, they were never available. Allstate has not disappointed me for 5 yrs now. My old carrier was State Farm, I will never go back to them. Allstate is #1 to us.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've had Allstate for many years now, at least 10 years. One of my main complaints with Allstate is that my rates increase every year and I have to call in and threaten to drop my policies in order to prevent the premium increase. Customer service is usually good but it is still annoying having to play that game every year. In terms of claims I've found that Allstate was surprisingly easy to work with. I've only had one claim which came from hail damage and I was definitely satisfied with the ease of submitting a claim and the amount I was given.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been a customer of Allstate for over ten years. They have done so much to help me during that time in terms of keeping my coverage well suited to my needs and helping me when I've had questions or needs. Having a local agent has also made a great deal of difference for me in helping with problems that I've had. We had a recent claim and the price of our policy went up. I wasn't very happy about it so I started looking to change and my agent helped fix the problem by finding a way to adjust the policy to minimize the cost of the increase.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

If I was an Allstate customer, I would watch out...you are NO LONGER IN GOOD HANDS. It seems that ALLSTATE IS unreasonably PUTTING PROFIT IN FRONT OF CUSTOMER SERVICE. :( Allstate only provided me with 2 days total of car rental after their accident adjuster totaled my vehicle that one of your drives hit. This is totally unreasonable. I had a rental car for 8 days. So on top of losing my car, and the wages while waiting the 4 days to get a rental. I have to pay for 6 of the 8 days I need the rental to get another car? You used to be a reasonable company, what happened?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I would like to express that we were fine with Allstate until I had to submit a claim. The customer service representatives were not as knowledgeable and helpful as they should have been throughout the entire process. This made the progress and the timeline of the claim frustrating. My accident was on 7/20 and as of 10/8 I still have not received the payment for my claim. It took over a month to get an answer if my vehicle would be repaired or a total loss. After they determined it as a total loss, then the process has taken way too long to get my money. Luckily, I had enough money to get a new vehicle. Otherwise, I would still be without a vehicle and paying the rental out of pocket. Not impressed with the handling of my claim and I have since changed carriers.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I've been with them over 5 years and generally have had a good experience. In 2018 I had an accident that was it of my control with black ice. Despite the fact that I was doing everything I could do right I still got punished for it with my rate doubling. I had an accident free record before that going back to 2007. I never have seen or heard of any accident forgiveness through them. So I don't believe that's possible, my agent never mentioned it ever. I asked my agent about why I was being punished considering my record and they had nothing to say. They "understand" my frustration. I really do not buy that one bit. So it will take either my rates going back down and reimbursing me for that change, or something significant, not an empty sorry.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I have been an allstate customer for close to 15 years. Recently I was in a head-on collision with another driver who was 100% at fault. Allstate plainly acknowledge that fact to me. Despite that, the other driver's insurance company refused to pay out on damages. This forced me to make a claim with my own insurance company. After 3 months of being bounced around, allstate finally sent me to the dealer for a quote.

According to the dealership I'm dealing with $1100 worth of damage on a truck I've been trying to sell. Allstate refuses to accept my claim for more than $200. This leaves me with a smashed front and, and who knows how much money in the hole. Allstate has refused to make me whole again, despite our contract. I intend to pursue legal action, but in the meantime I want to warn anyone who will listen to avoid this company. If you are with allstate you are NOT in good hands. Attached is a photo from my police report that shows the scene I had to contend with.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Was in auto accident with Allstate policy holder. The accident was her fault, police report to back it up. Contacted my insurance as well as Allstate. Allstate’s adjuster called the next day to give me the name of a shop and to set up a rental car. Took the car to the shop. Went to Enterprise, unable to get through them, called adjuster and let her know. Was told “call around and find a car”. As she was unwilling to do so, found one place 40 miles from my home, missed day and a half of work, huge deposit plus daily rental of $67.00 a day!!! Car in the shop for 2 days before the estimate of damages were finalized, shop says “10 business day”. Was originally told they paid $24.00 a day for rental when adjuster received the estimate, she paid only 10 days total at a rate of $20.00 a day.

I asked what about the 2 days in the shop before the estimate? What about the weekends between the business days? Her response, “not our problem, shop said 10 days. That’s all we pay." Acted like the $200.00 was a favor to me, plus had to pay Uber to take me 40 miles away. Basically was will happen according to the “not our problem, we aren’t paying anything else”, I would have to turn car in on Fridays, go back Monday, pay another large deposit plus daily rate for 3 weekends!!! Are you kidding me?? But their policy holder has a free rental and guess what? Weekends are covered.

I just hope and pray you are never involved in an accident with an Allstate client and you do not have Allstate!! You will be totally screwed!! I also, will be adding photos to my review. One will show only the few scratches the at fault has and my $5500.00 in damages. If I ever thought of changing my insurance to Allstate, they’ve made my decision to NEVER use them!!!! And I am letting everyone I knkw about my horrendous experience!!! BTW, they do not even deserve the 1 star rating.

Allstate expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allstate Auto Insurance provides quality protection across the United States. It allows customers to adjust limits and deductibles to find the right insurance policy without paying extra.

• Complete coverage: Allstate offers customizable coverage options that can be tweaked and adjusted in order to include specifics, such as personal injury, broken glass, towing, etc.

• Teen driving discounts: They offer discounts on teen drivers while many providers increase premiums for teen drivers, even those with clean driving records.

• Coverage for other vehicles: In addition to car insurance, Allstate offers insurance for boats, motorcycles and other vehicles.

• Local agents: Allstate has agents and brick-and-mortar offices in every state, which means you can meet with a representative face-to-face no matter where you are in the country.

• Drivewise app: They have an app that customers can download to track your driving habits and reward you for being safe behind the wheel.

• Best for: Drivers with clean records and teen drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky