Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Allstate Auto Insurance
2.20/5

Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate sells auto, home, renters, motorcycle and life insurance. Allstate isn't an InsuraMatch partner at this time. To get multiple quotes all at once in less than 10 minutes, call InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Allstate is the third leading car insurer in the U.S. serving all 50 states with a massive network of local agents and 3,500 repair shops. Its financial strength ranges from good to excellent. Many customers are satisfied with Its auto claims servicing. It carries a range of coverage options and discounts.

PROS

• Excellent financial strength to meet its claims obligations
  • Discounts include new car, multiple policy, smart student, anti-theft device and anti-lock brake discounts
  • A leading car insurer in the United States
  • Offers Allstate eSmart, EZ pay plan, FullPay, early signing, responsible payer, accident forgiveness, deductible rewards and Safe Driving Club discounts
  • Above average rating on claims satisfaction

CONS

• Some customers experienced occasional premium increases
  • Prices are slightly above industry average

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1862 Allstate Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I purchased auto and life insurance six months ago. The premium quoted and the premiums charged were different every month. They kept switching my coverage without my authorization. I had to call every month because my premium would increase for no reason, which was usually due to the unauthorized coverage changes. They wrote an life insurance policy on my 21 year old daughter to save money on her auto policy...I still have yet to see that policy, but I'm paying for it. They said they would send me documents to sign, never got them.

I received my renewal and my premiums have more than tripled! I started reviewing the automatic withdrawals from my checking account and realized they were taking a second payment of $16 out of my account two weeks after my initial payment which I did not authorize (this is illegal). When I spoke to agent the final time to cancel all of my policies, he had the audacity to blame EVERYTHING that had happened on the parent company. They lied and double-talked from the beginning to the end. I would NEVER recommend anyone insure with this company.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

On Dec 21st, 2018, an Allstate driver ran a red light and smashed into our vehicle at speed, totaling it and leaving us without a car, and my wife battered and in pain for weeks. After taking several weeks to contact their client, Allstate assumed zero liability for the accident, citing their driver's statement as their sole evidence. The police report said the other driver ran the red light. A witness in the report corroborated this. She signed a citation for running the light on the scene. Our own statements reflected this reality as well. However, a driver who entered the intersection, running a red light at a high rate of speed, giving a contradictory story was all it took to decline any liability and leave us high and dry.

I am left forced to file a small claims suit for the damages to our vehicle, and possibly left without recourse for the weeks of pain and suffering my wife endured following the accident. Her injuries were likely not severe enough to justify retaining a lawyer. Allstate is an awful company and you should avoid dealing them at all costs - God help you if you are hit by one of their drivers.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

As with every other review, Allstate are crooks and accident forgiveness they preach is all bs. They will find the loopholes to not pay a claim. If you have a minor in your household and you don’t add them to your policy they will not pay. Beware of the fine print... You can lend your car to a complete stranger and they will pay but if you don’t add a minor they will not even if you have paid your yearly policy on time and have been a customer for 10+ years. I hope they enjoy the money we’ve paid. Greedy company with unethical people working for them.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

They sent us those road assistance cards for supposedly get free service if needed. I got a flat tire and I called them to have someone to put some air on it so I drove it to the dealership. The representatives refused to help me because I didn’t have a car accident. They told me that I needed to find assistance on my own. I am on my payments and been their customer for 15 years, both car and home insurance. I feel dissatisfied with the new agent and central customer service. I will just wait until I have to renew insurance so I can change to another company. I called Toyota road assistance and they were very nice and supportive. I felt in much better hands with Toyota customer service.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We have old cars, because we are practical, and don't need new cars, so we always have 'liability only' auto insurance. We've been customers with Allstate for over 30 years. About 15 years ago, they 'accidentally' converted all of our auto insurance plans to full comprehensive. My wife wondered why the cost went up after a few months, and called, and they were sorry, switched them back. Today, my wife bought a used van, for her business, and she called and asked them to put the van on our insurance. They asked if we wanted it to be 'comprehensive, like the other vehicles'. She was furious to find out that they switched us up to full comprehensive on every vehicle, last year! This is an extra cost of $1200 or so. I am going to get that money back, if I have to sue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Claim department Vietnamese Mr. ** and Mr. Allan ** are rude and racist! If you are not a native speaker, they make fun of you and talking ** to you! If you complain them to claim department manager, they never even answer your phone! When you buy insurance from them, they are so nice to you. Once you are in a accident, they ignore you and use all the racist people to piss you off. Very bad service.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Horrible people at claim dept Allstate! I accepted default bodily injury claim and asked agent to process it. Agent said she will process with final settlement and when I called during final settlement, she comes up with story that I didn’t accept default settlement! Unbelievable… Certainly customer is not in good hands… They need to stop lying.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

They are CROOKS! ALLSTATE is FRAUD!!! They have taken thousands and thousands of dollars from me for 12 years and they find loopholes that take you and I by surprise not to pay a collision claim! You're in CROOKED HANDS with AllState. That should be their slogan. Garbage company!!! And rude people! Keep my money. I hope you all choke on it!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

If I could give it a negative number I would. Worst experience I have ever had. I sure hope they take care of their paying customers better than they do taking care of the people their customers crash into on the roads. Based on this experience I would never consider using Allstate for anything and I will shout it from the rooftop. Big Insurance company that does not give a crap about the average person. They are good at collecting premiums but very rude and apathetic about paying out claims and making people whole again. Terrible rental car program - just terrible service as a whole. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

On 12/27/2018 I was sideswiped by an Allstate customer that fully admitted fault. I’m still trying to get my vehicle in for repairs. Since my back and neck are out I’ve gone for medical help and hired a lawyer. Would never have done that if I was treated right but oh well. Olivia ** should be ashamed!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have been hit by one of Allstate driver, somebody calls me for the Allstate’s agency telling to take a photo on that quick photo app. I did what it had to be done and sent the photos the next 2 days, Allstate send me a letter that had only 149.99 to fix the damages if I wanted to do it my self. They were dents in my car and the outside mirror was completely broken, so what 149.99 dollars going to fix??? One of the adjusters or estimators calls me and she offers to pick my car from my house and fix it and SHE RECOMMENDED ME WITH A SHOP. I said ok you can take but I needed a car to move for personal reasons, so the lady offered to give me a rental the next day.

I call the insurance to check on the status of the rental they said they couldn’t get for two days. So I call back in 2 days to check again and the lady says I’m sorry we don’t have one yet so I had to a whole week just to get the rental car. Guess how long did it take fix my car? A WHOLE MONTH. When I received a call saying that my car was ready to pick up, I went to go pick it up but it still had the dents on front passenger door, I spoke to the shop about it they say they’re going to send a supplement. They fixed the car in 2 days I believe and they didn’t even call they waited a whole week to call me, and what’s funny is that they didn’t even call me. Guess who called me the rental company called saying that my car was ready, I said ok no problem I’ll go pick it up today.

I go to get my car and my car wouldn’t even start. When the shop picked up my car the first time it was perfectly working. When I tell them to fix it they say it’s not our problem and we’ll send a supplement for that thing. I waited a day but I was told that they could throw my car in the street or god knows what they going to do to my car. So I call the insurance, they say that we don’t have a contract with this shop. “So how are you going to offer me to take my car to fix it at this shop and not having a contract with them” she said I chose the shop. No problem. I needed my car so I had a tow truck that I payed to take it to my mechanic to fix it and it cost me 300$, that’s not all when I got the call for the same time to pick my car it didn’t have the radio, so my radio was stolen.

I am very nice person I don’t like to be treated like **. The next day the rental company tries to charge 250$ for the rental car. I called them and asked what going on they told that the insurance covered only from this date to that date and my car wasn’t even ready to pick up so I call back the insurance and they tell that you car was ready this date so we couldn’t cover your rental, and I understand that but my car wasn’t even ready and you telling me that we can’t cover the rental and that’s something wrong. I tried to get hold of a manager, she never there I call 4 times and I left a voicemail. So I don’t have a clue of what I’m going to do next. Today the rental call me and says that I owe them 300 something dollars. And I almost forgot when I got my car towed and I got this invoice stating that the total for the damages was 1.3k $. The insurance offered me 149.99$. Lol.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I was a customer of Allstate for over 15 years and I hadn't submitted any claims during that period. However, the day I submitted a claim I was shocked they could not pay for full repair of my vehicle. I made many attempts to fix the problem, I did not get any follow-up. I even took the matter to court. Do you know they had to hire their own lawyer at 10 times the cost of my claim of $1000. I know many have experienced the same hustle in their claims. You are in bad hand with Allstate. Avoid avoid avoid.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

My Agent was unaware of the fact that I had to do all the work when I was hit by an uninsured motorist... I filed my claim and heard nothing until I called the main office and they said I had not contacted them to get things started. This was 4 months after the accident.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Allstate rewards their safe drivers with a safe driving bonus check every six months that you are claim free. Well, that's sort of true. What they don't inform you is that they will increase your premium every single year, and that increase is a doubled or tripled amount more than both "bonus checks" combined. (For the first 3 to 4 years, these bonus checks are in the $20 to $24 dollar range) So, you are not getting any real bonus, but you are actually paying more. They also don't inform you that if you make the most trivial change in your auto insurance, the previous 5 safe driving months will be tossed away and you are starting all over with a "new policy." I've been with Allstate for ten years now. I really need to have my head examined. Let me share the latest scam they have come up with to get even more money out of their clients.

My wife and I are in our late 50s and we live alone. We have three adult children, all in their 30s and they haven't lived at home in many years. Last Sept. 2018, we were informed by Allstate that "their sources indicate that we MAY HAVE a driving aged child living with us," specifically my 33 year old daughter. In the envelope was several brochures for keeping teen drivers safe and insured, and Allstate was just the company to handle all of our needs. Of course, I called my agent and explained that my grown daughter was married, with children, living in another city, has her own car and insurance, and that she wasn't even living with us when I got auto insurance with them 10 years ago. The agent was pleasant, surprised and concerned and I was assured that they would handle this problem.

The following month, an additional $155.44 was added to my ever increasing auto policy price, to cover my 33 year old daughter whom hasn't lived at home in 10 years. Yet another phone call was made to my agency, and yet another promise to clear up the problem. The following month, my daughter is still added on to my policy and I am still being charged the extra money. This time I sent an e-mail to them, and the reply sent back revealed the complete scam Allstate were up to. See if you can believe their justification for adding a grown woman to my policy. "Allstate Corporation has received an audit, and apparently the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is connected with said audit, and they reported to Allstate that my grown daughter is using my address." Gasp! Charge them people some more money at once. And they did, and are doing so.

All three of my grown children still use my address for important matters, just like millions of other grown kids. Our home is a safe and secure place for them always. So now, according to Allstate, I have to physically prove that my 33 year old daughter is not living with me. My telling them isn't good enough. I am 100% certain that Allstate has an entire team of people that are paid very well to come up with these types of scams. They keep these scams barely contained within the boundary of the laws, where they can criminally rake in millions of dollars and remain scot free about it. Of course, I will soon be terminating my auto and flood insurance policies with Allstate.

After 10 years of being a faithful, claim free customer, I don't want to be a victim of their criminal operations anymore. Of course, they are victorious after receiving my money for 10 years, and perhaps that is part of their criminal goal for profits. I pray to God that the right person reads these complaints and knows how to activate a plan to end Allstate's corrupt operations. Just think how many people have been burned by them and then just let it go. The way I look at it now, the bigger the corporation, the harder they fall.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Allstate a very bulling company... They seem to make settling claims not in your favor... Take it from a customer of Allstate for over 20 yrs. Recommend you find a better co. Shop around. There are companies that like good drivers if you are...

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I own a 2014 F-250 which was involved in a 40-50 mph front end crash. This was not my wife’s fault and the truck just made cross country trip with no issues at all. The impact rather crash destroyed the front of the truck even breaking the tow hooks off of the frame. The auto body shop recommended by Board Ford fixed the visible damage but when we went to drive it the front end was making a humming noise, the brake cable was broken, the steering wheel was not straight and the truck began shaking. The auto shop stated they saw nothing broken so we took it back Ford. Ford stated they could not say the damage was from the crash as it could have been wear and tear previously.

We are not mechanics but this truck is so messed up it is not safe for my family. The Allstate adjuster Alex stated the broken brake cable and the alignment issues were due to worn out parts and we received no explanation for the humming noise. This was a solid truck with no issues prior to this crash and now we have been told we are liars and that all of these issues must have been present prior to the crash. Ford says they are unable to align the truck due to the amount of play. This may be true but was certainly caused by the horrific crash.

I am a former state trooper with thousands of crash investigations and it is preposterous to me that a vehicle in this sort of accident would have alignment issues due to anything other than the crash when it was fine previously. I am not able to see any worn or damaged rubber boots or leaking grease or any of the things I would associate with being obviously worn out around any of the steering components. This truck has less than 100k miles and has never been used to tow or plow. I purchased this vehicle approximately 18 months ago precisely because it felt so solid and smooth. We are very frustrated and would like our vehicle to be safe for our family to drive again. This will be a huge expense for us to fix on our own and we feel that the excuses are just that. Excuses.

The original shop should have seen these problems but ever since we pointed out the fact they didn’t even drive it after repair the blame has been on us. Besides these issues the customer service has been terrible at Ford with the service tech and manager not returning calls and even failing to submit insurance information with identifying information on it. We feel trapped in a network of dishonesty and wish for nothing other than our truck to be reliable again. We do not have the technical knowledge to dispute what they say credibly but just know that our vehicle was fine to travel across country one day and after the crash which was no fault of ours, it is not even safe to drive.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

They could do some improvement on customer service. Have lower rates, Don't lie to the customer about 30 rentals on a car after being involved in a wreck and take the rental back before the full 30 days. It's hard to get a car without them paying customers after they sign off.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I was in a car accident on November 15. I was told by the Allstate adjuster that the vehicle was a total loss. It's now December 19 and no progress has been made on my claim. My local office does not handle claims; I must call a toll free number and wait on the phone for over 20 minutes to speak to someone who has no answers. I've tried chatting and sending messages and still get nowhere. I'm not multiple months into this like other people, but I see where this is going. My local Allstate agency should be able to work with me to get this completed and processed. I shouldn't have to deal with outside companies and no answers. I was previously with State Farm and they were great to work with. I may switch back, if and when this claim is completed.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

According to an email I received from my now former agency, the agency purchased after the prior owner was terminated for fraudulently applying incorrect zip codes to retain clients. I was one of them and they tried to raise my auto rates by almost 50%. So after 18 years, I was treated like garbage and forced to change insurance companies. After learning the truth about the fraud and how long it took to discover it, I probably would have left anyway.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I just signed up with Allstate Ins for my vehicles and home. Right from start I was saving money and Maria was very friendly and followed up with all my needs. It is nice to have an agent who cares and takes the time for my needs.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

They did not cover the cost of my totaled car. I had to claim through my insurance. They offered only a third of all amount. Unethical business. I would had agreed with half an amount to save my time and theirs, since I am a small business owner and know how time is valuable. That's why us, consumers, have to pay extra to cover their billing tactics. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THEM to give the fair companies to grow.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

So I had Allstate car and house insurance together for over a decade and the day I sold my house I cancelled my house and car insurance together but since the payments were in auto pay they never canceled it to stop the payments and due to me having them for so long I never realized that I was getting charged for 12 extra months until I caught this mistake and I brought it to their attention. They didn’t want to reimburse me back my money!! Now there was no accidents involved. Just that they’ve been charging me for 12 extra months and they basically robbed me for my money and I can’t get anyone to even work with me as far as getting back my money. The worst company in my book. NEVER AGAIN WILL I OR MY FAMILY DO BUSINESS WITH ALLSTATE AGAIN!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I have Allstate for a long time without problems until the day that someone crashed my car. Then, they treated me terrible since the first call for claim. Allstate was too the insurance of the driver that hit in me. They took 1 month to give solution to my case and said that It was my fault that the driver get out from a parking lot without see and hit me. I am changing all my insurance. The cheaper can become after a problem.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I am starting to see negative things about Allstate. They did not notify me at the time of my renewal about going up $3 more on my car insurance, so I called the agency and she was not in at the time. Coworkers claimed that they will have her call me back, a week went pass so I called again recently, left a message & said it was like my second request for my agent to call me. So finally she got in touch with me later that day and apologize for not getting back to me sooner which was all good & everything. So I let her know what the situation was & she said another person had the same problem I did & it should have been on my renewal & she said she believed it was from the car being over 10 years old. I mean what difference does it make how old the car is.

I can see them going up on a brand new car, you can't win, so she says she will give me a call back the next day to assure me, that that’s the reason. They should subtract the $3 off for not notifying me, when it really doesn't make a difference cause she said they're going to go up every year at the time of my renewal, any way for them to make money they will do it. Soon as it goes to a hundred I will find another Insurance Company to insure my vehicle & my home. All these insurance companies to me is not fair. They always find some reason to go up on your car insurance. All they want to do is collect your money every month.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

At the end of my policy period I went with another insurance company. Now Allstate agent Denise Buckley's office in West Palm Beach is telling me that if I don't show proof that I have insurance with someone else that I will be charged a $93.27 premium because I'm still "active" with them. I'm told that there is a grace period of 2 months with Allstate. I have never heard of this before. Now other insurance company has such a policy. I emailed and called to tell them I have an active insurance policy with someone else and that I have never had to show proof to any other insurance company before.

When I spoke to them on the phone they said that if my policy is still active after a 30 day period that I need to show proof to terminate the policy. I also called customer service who confirmed that my policy was canceled but her office is saying that a canceled policy and terminating a policy are two different things. WHAT??? I was also told that if I don't pay the 93.27 that it will be sent to a collection agency! This is downright bullying and harassment. Talk about a racket.

I am a 60 y.o. woman on a fixed income and this is how I'm being treated. I have NEVER been treated like this before. I WILL NEVER USE ALLSTATE AGAIN!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Instead of going green, I opted to receive a statement each month. After being with them for 6 months, they raised my rates $46/month, That's almost $300 for 6 single pieces of paper. Yes...I was advised. But had no idea my rates would increase 22% if I didn't. I mean, the last thing I expected of my insurance company is to be taken advantage of like that. I intend to do 2 things, #1 I intend to contact my utility folks and find out how much I can save by "going green" and #2 Shop for new auto insurance.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Allstate says that "YOU ARE IN GOOD HANDS WITH ALLSTATE". Well after 40+yrs with them, I can say they have their hands in your pocket. Had an accident that they claim there were injuries, and there were none. Neither of the parties filed any injury claim. Allstate kept trying to give me about 40% less than my totaled car was worth. After filing with the Department of Insurance a complaint they finally settled the claim with about 20% still left on the table. But after fighting with them for 4 months, I accepted their offer. Stay away from Allstate. They "PLACE PROFITS BEFORE PEOPLE"!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My car was hit by an Allstate driver in the passenger and rear doors. The police report shows it was their driver's fault but Allstate's policy is DELAY, DENY AND DEFEND with their on retainer auto accident lawyers. Allstate wouldn't send an appraiser instead making me download their app and send them pictures. They offered to pay 20% of their estimate of $600. I took the car to 3 body shops and the estimates were all above $3500. Told not to drive the car. Airbag issue and door wouldn't open. We had to go to binding arbitration where Allstate knows in NYS it's easy to get the reviewer to settle on a partial responsibility. They do this to screw their own insured too as the nice little old lady didn't get her car money either. Your wallet is in good hands with Allstate, they as a corporation should be ashamed. God help anyone who has to deal with the corporation.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

***Agent ID ** Chad from Allstate horrible person, says he doesn’t care if I contact the CEO about his behavior. He says if you all confront him about our call he will just say that he is licensed in all 50 states so he can’t help everyone. Kelly the rep I spoke with also was rude because she doesn’t know your policies. She told me to "go right ahead" when I stated I would complain about her customer service. ***

I’ve been having horrible customer service from Allstate. First they lied to me about what was covered on my insurance so they could get my bank account information. Then after the lie, they have given me the worst customer service when I try to find out what their policies are for certain coverages. They get attitudes because they don’t know Allstate’s policies, and John Fox Tampa Florida office is beyond horrible. His reps need to be fired. All of the reps I mentioned give your company a bad name. The manager Thomas I spoke to was amazing but unfortunately Chad agent ID ** refused to get me back over to him.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

My family had been with Allstate for more than 30 years, after I actually worked for them. We had several other policies with them as well, such as homeowners, boat, and umbrella policies. Recently, my wife's car was rear-ended in an accident, and sustained moderate damage. Allstate picked a low-ball value for our car, declared it to be a total loss, and refused to pay to have it repaired or for the damage. They also advised that if we kept the car and had it repaired ourselves, they would have the title branded as a total loss vehicle, and that they would no longer insure it. Allstate used an outside valuation company for the claim, who scoured the country for "comparable vehicles," which ranged from two hundred to a thousand miles away.

None were the same edition or equipment, and most had other serious differences. When we asked them to replace our car with a similar local vehicle which was for sale, they said that they don't do that. When we objected to their valuation, they couldn't have cared less. The value that they came up with was approximately half of what it would cost to replace the car. ($5,800 vs. $10,000). After more than 30 years as a customer, with few claims, their attitude was take it, or go through our appeal process, which they advised "could take months, and you could end up paying for that as well." We have had a few claims in the past, mostly not our fault, and they were always handled promptly and fairly. Ironically, we were later asked to take a survey on how our claim was handled.

I let them know that we were very unhappy with the entire process, and that we felt cheated in the valuation of our vehicle. We never heard back from them. Our agent was outstanding. He was very upset at how we were treated, and tried, but he couldn't get Allstate to act responsibly on our behalf. We switched to Travelers. Same coverage, great company, and we save $600 per year. We will miss our agent, but we won't miss Allstate.

Allstate expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allstate Auto Insurance provides quality protection across the United States. It allows customers to adjust limits and deductibles to find the right insurance policy without paying extra.

• Complete coverage: Allstate offers customizable coverage options that can be tweaked and adjusted in order to include specifics, such as personal injury, broken glass, towing, etc.

• Teen driving discounts: They offer discounts on teen drivers while many providers increase premiums for teen drivers, even those with clean driving records.

• Coverage for other vehicles: In addition to car insurance, Allstate offers insurance for boats, motorcycles and other vehicles.

• Local agents: Allstate has agents and brick-and-mortar offices in every state, which means you can meet with a representative face-to-face no matter where you are in the country.

• Drivewise app: They have an app that customers can download to track your driving habits and reward you for being safe behind the wheel.

• Best for: Drivers with clean records and teen drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky