Allstate Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

They beat Geico coverage for my auto and umbrella. I just signed up with them so I am going to have to wait and see how their customer service compares. I was with geico for several years and never had a claim, but when I had the opportunity to get more coverage for a few dollars more it was definitely worth the switch.

I was in an accident with a person that had ALLSTATE INS. He was at fault. Dealing with them has been a nightmare the entire time. They have done things that were threatening to me, like telling me that I had to repair my car with the insurance check or they would give me less. (Joe **) Allstate. Then as I was trying to manage my medical injuries, preparing to have surgery, I received a call from (Steve **) Allstate. A day before my surgery was to happen telling me that I better check my own car insurance allowance because his client doesn't have much insurance. Making me think that they might not pay for my medical bills.

Then in order to protect my job and not have to ask off for a second surgery, I went through other options of treating for a injury that now they say they won't pay for because I didn't get the second surgery sooner. My worry was that I would lose my job if I had to take off for another surgery. As it is I am unable to work the hours that I was working before the accident due to the pain that I am still facing. I thought waiting to get the second surgery was also a way to save Allstate money because if wearing a boot and getting therapy would help the injury that's what I wanted to do.

So now they are not paying for that surgery that I needed in the beginning because I waited. They are forcing me to get an attorney over a few thousand dollars when in the end it will cost them so much more and probably, even their insured. So really you are never in Good Hands with ALLSTATE no matter whether you are one of their insured or if you are filing a claim they are responsible for.

I had this insurance for possibly over 40 years, and never experienced problems with the company, and the rates were not extremely high during those years. I was very pleased with the company, and always received good service. I was able to select where I wanted my car repaired, and not forced to go to a shop of the company's choosing. I did not have many claims, but the few I had were always handled quickly, and I was able to get a rental car for free if I needed it. Someone hit my car, and I reported it to the agent, and my claim was handled efficiently, and repairs were quite satisfactory. Damage was only done to my front bumper.

Allstate Auto Insurance is a great insurance company, but they have stiff regulations for those trying to get coverage. Their coverage is great, but their rates are high. Also, they dropped my policy after one accident where there was no fault of mine involved. But the claim was processed in a timely manners and went well.

Allstate is an established well-known insurance company. I like their payback system for good driving. Also, agent I have is low key and does not push for more investment in insurance than I can afford. Cost is, as always, a touchy point. Overall Allstate is acceptable as insurance carrier. Like that they have been doing this for years and years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Not sure if it's okay to say names on here, but Gustavo ** was the claims adjuster that I had to deal with when one of Allstate's customers hit into me in a wreck. At first, it seemed like maybe he was just busy and not able to answer my calls when I needed to figure it all out, which was fine. Then it started to get fishy when I repeatedly called him every single day for a week and he never answered. He would call me back, but only if I left a detailed message about my contact information, but if I didn't answer he wouldn't even leave a message explaining what was happening, and I usually couldn't answer his calls because he would call me when I was at work.

Finally we got on the phone together, and he told me that everything would be settled within the next couple days. This was a complete lie, and I ended up playing phone tag for another few days until I decided to just call the Allstate general number. I then figured out that we weren't even close to getting it settled, and Gustavo had absolutely no idea what he was talking about because we needed to take multiple steps, and the lady that was walking me through this was terribly rude to me and talking condescendingly to me the entire conversation. She then proceeded to tell me that we would have it figured out by the weekend because I informed her we needed to have this done because it was ridiculous that it was taking two weeks to settle it.

Both she and Gustavo ignored my calls for ANOTHER WEEK (THIS IS TWO ENTIRE WEEKS THIS WAS GOING ON ALREADY), so then we were forced to call the "emergency claims department", and they figured everything out within a ten minute conversation on the phone. Terrible representatives, unless of course you call the emergency claims department, which I should've done from the very beginning to get it all figured out. Oh and Gustavo called me again for the first time in a week AFTER everything was settled, but I didn't want to talk to him so I did what he had been doing to me for three weeks: ignore him like he wasn't worth my time at the moment. I NEVER write reviews for anything, but this really made me angry. Allstate either needs to hire better reps or just cease to be an insurance company because they are liars and snakes.

I was hit by a non-insured, no license having person after she ran a red light. Well although I tried to work I was in such great pain. Also I didn't receive great compensation for loss time of work. I feel if I'm paying insurance for my vehicles or for my house or wherever I live it shouldn't be based on my zip code.

I have no tickets, no claims and all it seems to do is climb. Find a way to cut these premiums down. This is why some people drive with no insurance, too high. Michigan is one of the highest in the country.

No matter what the problem was, there was always an excuse why they would not cover things. Neighbors with the exact same problems had no issues getting coverage but Allstate was the terrible!!! I had to go to their facilities - always during the workday and estimates that my mechanic, who I used and trusted were not acceptable and after hours of inspection, the Allstate shop would give me an estimate for a tenth of that and frequently the shop would do a terrible job and I would have to take time off work and argue with them and I always lost. It was horrible. Also, when I tried to cancel Allstate I had to go to their office three times and argue with them to get my money back for the unused portion of my policy. Do not use Allstate. I switched to Nationwide and they are terrific.

I was with State Farm for almost 20 years before switching to Allstate. State Farm's premiums continually increased to $87. I was able to get insurance thru Allstate for $60/mo - a big savings. I have a clean driving record all my life. I am designated a "Safe Driver," accident/claim free. I would like to see some kind of insurance regulation for senior drivers (of which I am one now). I think the insurance companies should reward good drivers by providing lower rates but that does not seem to be the case.

Also, as with everything else in life insurance rates continually go up at the whim of the powers that be at Allstate. However, whenever I get a bee in my bonnet about an increase of $2+ dollars/month and check out other carriers, Allstate still is the best price by a long shot. My premiums consistently go up approx. $2/mo every six (6) months and eventually I will have to drop some coverages in order to stay within budget. My insurance agent knows my financial situation and is always helpful in suggesting ways to bring the premium back down and like he says when the big cheeses decide on a rate hike he is powerless.

Allstate was there for me when I need them. You get protection for your family. I hit a deer going to work one night. Allstate was with me from the minute it happen, tow truck, rent a car, hospital emergency room, doctors offices, my air bag canister was bad...a recall...to find out later metal was lodged in my shoulder, leg, and chest. They cover my missed work, meds and then paid my truck off. Great company. You get what you pay for.

I have used Allstate Auto Insurance on and off over the years. Habitually they start you off with a fair price and what used to be every year is now every six months that they hike your premiums forcing you to start shopping elsewhere. I am at that point now. Customer service is not the issue. Everyone you speak to or interact with is very helpful and polite. This has only to do with the company itself. This company is a good go to when you are researching to change companies. More than likely, they will indeed save you some money from what you currently pay because you are a new client and they are trying to suck you in. Just don't get so comfortable that you keep them for years on end without comparing premiums with other companies now and then. It seems they are all playing this game nowadays.

Allstate has horrible customer service. Had a wreck with an uninsured driver and the other driver was making money order payment and Allstate said they never receive them. Insurance fraud and I will be going to insurance commissioner.

I've had Allstate for many years and overall filing claims has always been a fairly simple process. I called the toll free number on my insurance verification card and it was done. Most of the claims processors are very helpful and responsive. However, after repairs to my vehicle one problem persisted and I encountered some trouble contacting the claims representative. The employee at my local office whom I contacted for assistance was less than helpful which was frustrating.

I have been very pleased with the service received from Allstate for 14 years, using a local agency in my area. The office is attentive and responsive. I have always experienced in this time exceptional customer service and competitive and discount rates.

They are nice signing you up. They say, "Come to us. The good hands people. We will hold you safe and protected you in a loss." That is in my opinion a flat out misrepresentation. They treat you like a thief and pay you as little as they can get away with. All of my contractors warned me what they would do. All of them! They are really disreputable. The agent was no help in my claim. A person from his office told me my claim was probably not covered. My roofer was the one that made me call Allstate direct. It was covered. Only they try to cheat you out of what is rightfully covered.

They offered me about a quarter of what it cost to make repairs. I fought with them for 6 months to complete my claim and they still won. My 1000 dollar deductible ended up being 3500, which was very angering. They gave me zero for my blown off roof. They just refused to recognize damage. The process of claims was truly awful and disheartening. They lie and obfuscate at every turn. The worst possible homeowners experience. I had an auto claim as well that was exactly the same. This company is certainly not good hands. They are strangling hands. They make you feel dirty for asking for proper treatment. Totally unfriendly and a bad dealing company. What a fight. They still won.

I have looked for cheaper insurance, but can't find any. Had hit a deer, had to have truck towed and worked on, and filing the claim was easy to do. I just called my claim in to my office and it was taken care of.

Been with them over 20 years and I feel invisible. Rarely hear from them and policy goes up with never follow up. I would think they would be interested in selling more policies and call every few years.

Not bad, but not always ready to give answers, when called. Also, you have to bear to look at details, say if your car is totaled. Case by case and know what it means. Know how much deductible you can handle.

After over two decades with them, I asked for a call back to explain why their rates were so much higher than others and I was never given a call back. On top of that, when another insurance company called them to let them know that I would be switching insurance companies they hung up on them. Poor customer service, and gouging prices.

I have been with this company for many years. The personal (staff) are very professional. Any help I need it’s easy to make a phone call and when I make phone calls for any reason they always know exactly how they can help, not matter what the problem, and they get the right answer. They are prepared to help. Especially when I report an accident they never give me an any bad attitude. They always concern how I am, how are the people involved in the accident. They make me felt confident. They resolve the problem without problems and my car get repair immediately. I always choose the place where I want my car be repair. All of that is very important for me. I feel very confident, secure, safe with Allstate, because being every day in the road is a risk. No matter where I go, I know my insurer protect me and my family. I feel very satisfied.

Allstate is the best insurance company that I have been with. I have used other companies but found a home with them. It would take a lot for me to switch to another insurance company now. Filing a claim with Allstate is a simple process. They are very efficient and reliable. I was able to do most of the process over the phone. When I had to take my car for the estimate they did everything right there and set my appointment for me with the repair shop. They are friendly and knowledgeable. They truly go out of the way for their customers. When you call them or they call you they make you feel like family.

After 28 years when I need help no call back from customer service. Only talk with agent and adjuster but since I need to talked to their manager never called back to me I called 3 to 4 times. No calls return. In good hands??? Soon will be looking other insurance.

I had been with Allstate a little over 1 year and I always thought they're very expensive and I found a better rate elsewhere. Well I cancelled my policy on 04/18/17, emailed a written letter to my agent as he requested. Everything seem to be fine until 05/02/17. Allstate still took a payment out of my account when they weren't suppose to, I called the agent's assistant and she's being trying to help me but it's 05/11/17 today and still they haven't put the money back into my account. They're very unprofessional thieves. It's a back and forth thing with billing and the agent and I even called corporate office and nothing has gotten resolved.

Apparently when I cancelled my policy back in April my agent's assistant said that the cancellation got stuck on process and that she would try to do her best to get my money refunded as quickly as possible. I wonder why they deposited the overdraft fee that my bank charged me on the 3rd business day and my actual $335 has not made it to my account yet. They are ridiculous and lie so much. Even the lady I'm dealing with at corporate has not been helpful. No solution yet. I would never refer a family or friend or a worst enemy if I had one to Allstate. They have been by far the worst insurance company I have dealt with.

Heard about other insurance companies and how they handle claims. Allstate Auto Insurance handle everything very quickly and did not have to run around.

I hit a deer, damage to front. I had claim adjuster quick referred me to get fixed quick and paid quick. Very efficient and had rental quick. I have tried other insurances and yes can find some cheaper but I have found cheaper don't mean better. I have friends who have cheaper insurance and weeks later still waiting for claim to go thru on their damaged cars. 2 changed over to Allstate because of efficiency. So yes I feel like I'm in Allstate's hands.

I love the representatives I've dealt with - they are very knowledgeable and very pleasant. They have helped me many times to figure out the best way to save money. I've had Allstate Auto Insurance forever and I get money back when I'm accident free but with my two kids on my policy, it's very expensive!!

My mother is 83 yrs old and was hit by an Allstate driver. The lady that hit my mother is also elderly. She was apologetic and was insured by Allstate. Small fender bender, did not call police and that was a mistake. Allstate called a claims adjuster and kept drilling my mother on what happened and finally stated that they are only going to pay 80% because my mother did not HONK THE HORN... Think at this point will be going to court. She also was at the Doctors that day and this accident nearly killed her due to her high blood pressure. Have proof from the Doctor so I will be filing an additional claim. Just Nasty company reading all these complaints. Not experienced in the small claims court but will be going. Any ideas that can help let me know. I expect to live for 3 years. Will see what happens. I will get my day in court... Thank you.

Allstate Auto Insurance is the worst company when one of their customers hits and handling the claim. It took Allstate 2 weeks to even contact us about the accident and investigate it. Their customer hit me in a bike lane on the inside of the lane and there was even a police report. Their agent was so RUDE, implying it was my fault which doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It is unbelievable how unprofessional how the agent acted. It has been a complete inconvenience to our lives because they couldn't handle the claim in a more professional. It has cost us time, money and stress. They are the most ridiculous, fraudulent company, claiming they are, "in your hands", no they just insure reckless drivers and then don't rightly take fault for something. Allstate sucks.

Very dissatisfied. I was rear ended by Allstate client and was told everything would be taken care of. They told me they would provide rental of equal value then stopped paying rental after only two days my truck was in shop being repaired. Allstate told me that body shop needed to pay rental. I got stuck paying for the rest of rental. Very dissatisfied with the way I was treated by claims department. I will be telling friends, family and co workers to never use Allstate.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Allstate Auto Insurance provides quality protection across the United States. It allows customers to adjust limits and deductibles to find the right insurance policy without paying extra.

• Complete coverage: Allstate offers customizable coverage options that can be tweaked and adjusted in order to include specifics, such as personal injury, broken glass, towing, etc.
  • Teen driving discounts: They offer discounts on teen drivers while many providers increase premiums for teen drivers, even those with clean driving records.
  • Coverage for other vehicles: In addition to car insurance, Allstate offers insurance for boats, motorcycles and other vehicles.
  • Local agents: Allstate has agents and brick-and-mortar offices in every state, which means you can meet with a representative face-to-face no matter where you are in the country.
  • Drivewise app: They have an app that customers can download to track your driving habits and reward you for being safe behind the wheel.
  • Best for Drivers with clean records and teen drivers.

Compare Auto Insurance