Allstate Auto Insurance
  • 1 star
Based on 230 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Allstate Auto Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 7, 2017

1586 Allstate Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Claims inv. Belinda ** whose boss is Gail **. Are a disgrace to insurance industry. 8 trees fallen during Hurricane Irma. Elderly veteran's home, who doesn't even know what all happened (beginnings of Alzheimer's and deaf). We had FEMA out here, were promised an appraiser. Almost a month later... Not a soul has come out. Anyone but Allstate. BUYER BEWARE

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

My car had been hit at the rear by a man who has Allstate Insurance. That man had hit and then run. At that moment, I was talking to the police on the phone so I couldn't take the pictures of him and his car. Luckily, the other people who had involved in the accident had taken all pictures of the accident (included his car) and showed them to the police. Then, I had police report with his name, address and Insurance company's information. So, I tried to contact them to claim the accident. They denied my case because their client said he didn't involve in any accident. Until my attorney spoke with them, they had sent me the estimate for the damage of my car.

Then, I took my car to the shop to get fix and called them to confirm with the shop. After my car got fix, I called them to get pay and they said my case was closed cause again, their client said he didn't hit any car. I asked my attorney to call them again but they didn't want to speak with us and didn't return our phone call. Now, I don't have enough money to hire the attorney to sue them. But I want to speak out for my rights. I got hit and paid for the damage by my own. I still keep the police report and the estimate they send me. I hope someone could help me or at least when you read my review, you could know how terrible Allstate is.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Been with these folks for about 3 yrs. with everything bundled (i.e. Home and auto). I had 3 cars covered and was paying about 365.00 a month. Which was high. However I had a few dings on my record from about 4 yrs. ago so I accepted that. In June I sold my Charger which was the costliest and my rate went down a bit, however I bought a CTS a couple months later and my rates skyrocketed to 573.00 a month. I talked to my agent about this and nothing they could do. My premium wasn't due until September 25. I went on and paid it right then (out of frustration) which was the 21st of September. Then the agent told me to shop around and I did.

Progressive Insurance could do a lot better, (150.00 a month) so I went with them. I was told that I would get all the monies back from any premium that I had already paid. THEY LIED! OUT OF 573.-- They're telling me that I only get 402.-- I'm now in the process of looking for homeowners insurance. Because I feel like this billion dollar company robbed me of 172.-- dollars without a gun! Also, I've never filed a claim or been late on a payment! I'm gonna spread the word to watch out on all sites, that I and who knows how many others are paying for ALLSTATE'S CEO, CFO and who knows how many other executive's steaks tonight while I'm out here doing construction building America and eating hamburger!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I would like to understand how after three entire months that you would still side with your insured story even though it is well documented that she has continued to change her statements regarding the accident. I have not wavered from my account from day one speaking with the police officers immediately after the accident. That is where you find the most honest accounts before time changes and fades memory. That is why a police report is THE MOST ACCURATE statement and not when it's modified months after to help the one at fault by the one at fault!

My statement: I was traveling in the far left hand lane on the 710 in stop and go traffic roughly 45 miles per hour. My husband and two children were in the car. I was not changing lanes. I was not attempting to do anything yet continue along straight in my lane. Out of nowhere your client came left INTO MY LANE. Striking the front passenger side door and front wheel well pushing my car towards the cement barrier as I slammed on my brakes and applied firm pressure to my horn. I called the police who escorted us off the freeway. A second motorcycle police officer joined us and interviewed your driver as the SUV police officer spoke with me. We left as both police officers continued to speak to your insured.

Your insured statement has changed from my own communications with Allstate multiple times in false statements: She claimed I merged into her lane. She claimed as she merged into my lane I sped up. She claimed she never spoke to a officer. She claimed there was one officer. She claimed she spoke no English. She claimed the officer lied in his report. She was dissatisfied with TWO of your own agents

At this point I understand she pays you but I would hope that a moral obligation to perform the job insurances are there for which is to right wrongs would take priority. I have since the six unanswered emails and many phone calls and having to get help via social media researched Allstate and your company has one of the worst reviews of insurance companies. Perhaps it's cases like this that are minimal to such a large company that leaves bad taste in people mouths. I will be sure to share our experience to those looking for insurance companies that have good reputations... Again I can not see how your driver once again changing her story and saying she will go to the police three months later holds any weight of truth on the accident. Very disappointing.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Whatever happened to "You're in Good Hands." What a joke? I was in a car accident July 22, 2017. I was hit from behind by a driver with No insurance. I decided to go through my insurance which is AllState. I had a lot of damage to the rear and front of my car because when I was hit my car also hit the car in front of me. Allstate is only going to cover the rear damage but not the front damage since the guy I hit left the scene. Plus, I'm getting used part replace on my car which cause the value of my car to decrease. This has been my first accident and let me just say it has cause me a lot of stress. I think this will be the last of Allstate for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have been with Geico since moved to the U.S. and this year, I decided to shop around just to make sure that I was paying a fair price. Biggest surprise was to receive a denial letter from Allstate where they used my credit score as a decision factor. Yes, I have high utilization but 0 negatives. All my accounts are current and I never missed a payment.

I was in disbelief. They are not giving me credit but selling a service, which I pay in advance to have coverage. All I can is that after this bad customer service practice, if my score would change tomorrow and they would offer me a 50% discount over what I pay with Geico to change company, I would say a big fat NO. Will never rely/trust a company that pick and chose their customers like that, because that proves me that they are caring 100% about themselves only. Geico is totally proving me wrong??? PS: I gave 1 star for customer service because I feel it was awful. I also rated value and coverage as 1 because I never got the information. There was not a neutral option.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

On 9/1/2017 I paid my premium for coverage in the amount of $233.50. I later receive a letter stating if I do not pay $1051 by the 1st of October my insurance will cancel. After finding out there was a person who is staying in the home. I was told that was why it was that amount. So I signed a forum stating this person was not a driver of my vehicles covered. Then they state that my bill was now $491.03. So I paid $400 on 9/29/2017. The agent told me that was fine just pay the remaining before next month's policy is due. Instead of being of good faith they cancelled my insurance. What can I do to get a refund or my policy reinstated?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

One month was long enough to know agent Gene Lafaro (Springfield, MO) was the worst insurance man I have ever dealt with. He was pushy, rude, and honestly, the worst insurance agent I've ever encounter. He recommended a construction company to put a new roof on claiming he received no kickback. I told him I was under contract with a company and he said, "Well if they don't hurry your insurance will be canceled." I canceled after the solicitation, which was about a month.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

We switched to Allstate about four years ago because their premiums were lower at that time, but they have since skyrocketed to about twice what another insurer has quoted us. I can only imagine it's because of lawsuits filed against them which they have lost ($600,000 judgment against them in CA for false advertising, for one). We have always paid our premiums in advance and in full with "EasyPay," but because I didn't want this to kick in again since we were terminating our insurance with Allstate at the end of the term, I unenrolled in it with about a month left on the current policy.

I then got a notice that we owed $55.23 because we had unenrolled. The local agent couldn't do anything about removing the charge, so she "escalated" it. I received a call from the Allstate Customer Rep and explained the situation. She said it was not possible to remove the charge. I told her we had always paid in full, never made a claim, and that this charge was not acceptable and therefore I would not be paying it. She refused to make any adjustment and said I still owed the $55.23. Needless to say, I will not ever insure with Allstate again and would never recommend them to anyone else.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Sorriest, cheapest, backstabbing insurance company known to man. Allstate is a true nightmare non-paying ripoff insurance company... Truly sad to have to deal with these folks... They have not completed the final payment I sent in over 6 weeks ago, they keep passing me to Claim Agent after Claim Agent after Claim Agent and will not pay me for my roof... Truly sad...

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I had Allstate for sometime, Rick was the agent and every time I called he was rude, disrespectful and ALWAYS gave me an ATTITUDE!!! After dealing with this unprofessional, no customer service, rude person for over 2 years, I had enough. I canceled insurance for one of my cars because it did not work any longer and approx. a month later I called to get an estimate for a new car I just purchased, once he give me the price I told him I was not interested and as a matter fact I am canceling my policy. He had the nerve to bill me for a car I never insured with him. I refused to pay. I called the CORPORATE office, they said I owe the $$$. Long story short, they sent me to collection for money I DON'T owe. RUN AWAY!!! ALLSTATE IS A RIP OFF, STAY AWAY FROM THEM OR YOU'LL REGRET IT!!! He should be PUT IN JAIL for being a con artist stealing $$$ that does NOT belong to him!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Due to my own stupidity I caused an accident resulting in the total loss of my vehicle. The agents that handled my case were courteous and professional. Allstate covered some 90 percent of the cost for a rental car for a month. I received a check for the value of my wreck within two weeks of the accident, (in fact, I made a mistake and didn't sign over the title correctly and Allstate did a great job of correcting that for me). I never had the problems getting hold of an agent when I had a question or comment, I was impressed with the options that I was offered. I can't speak for the experience of others on this site, but I must say, Allstate did right by me.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I had a lady run into me sideways in a parking lot in front of a Chase bank. The lady acknowledges that she did not look in broad daylight. She then lied to her insurance company. I contacted Allstate to obtain the surveillance video. Nathan the person assigned did nothing for 3 weeks and now no video. I have to pay half of the deductible because of ALLSTATE does not represent its policyholders! I Got ripped off so don't let it happen to you! They are AWFUL!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My family has been a loyal customer to Allstate for years (maybe 20+) with our family auto policy, homeowner policy, and landlord policy and I have a spotless driving record. In 2015, I was a victim of hit and run, thus I had to use my auto insurance to cover the damage. My original intent was to hire a lawyer to save me some headaches dealing with aggressive adjusters but Allstate convince me that “we will take a good care of you” and “lawyers will only blow things out of proportion”. They ensured me that I can take as long as I needed with my treatments and after it’s all done, they will take care of all the damages.

After over a year of treatment, I was becoming very frustrated with continued pain in my neck. I couldn’t figure out why no Chiropractor and Physical Therapies weren’t working. They took an x-ray but there was no fracture found. Right around then, Allstate became impatient and began sending me letters to let me know the “treatment should come to an end as after all, it was just a minor accident”, they will “need to review all the treatments to see if they were appropriate” and they may reject some bills based on their findings. I was shocked. What happened to “we want you to get fully better” “we will take a good care of you”.

To my surprise, they offered me a settlement far less than the total bills incurred. I made multiple inquiries on it but their response was “This is our final offer. If you aren’t satisfied, you need to go to arbitration and may consider hiring a lawyer”. They know very well no lawyer would take you in the middle of a case. I called over 10 lawyers, but no luck. I finally found 1 who sympathized with my situation and said it’s upsetting how a big insurance company bullies client who only want to get the bills paid. He agreed to take my case, had me visit another doctor and ordered an MRI. The results showed I had disc herniation in my spine. I underwent 2 procedures in 2016. My lawyer went back to Allstate, demanded all bills to be paid + loss wage + pain/suffering for 2 years. Needless to say, I switched to another insurance company.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

An insured individual of Allstate hit my car over a week ago. I immediately contacted Allstate regarding the accident. After taking my statement, they determined fault with their insured. I was instructed to use an app to upload pictures. The adjuster prepared an estimate for less than $350. Which is joke considering the type of vehicle that I drive. I was told I would receive a rental comparable to my vehicle. That was not the case at all. I received a rental that doesn't even have a phone charging option in the car. My phone calls have not been returned from Torrey **, who is suppose to be the claims adjuster. This hasn't been a very pleasant experience at all. I would not recommend anyone to seek coverage from Allstate.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

My son was hit by a driver whose insurance company finally assumed 100% liability almost 3 months after the accident. Unfortunately, Allstate is my son's insurance carrier and they refuse to pay the 3,500 worth of emergency room bills stating that my son "waived his PIP coverage". I really doubt that he signed the waiver and I have yet to see any document from Allstate showing that he did. I think their business practices are unethical and deceitful. They won't even pay out when they're guaranteed to get the money back via subrogation when the claim is settled. I guess being a "good neighbor" means telling everyone to ** off when they try to file a valid claim. They are one evil organization, IMHO.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Allstate is the worst company for customer loyalty. I have had Allstate for over 20 years. I have never had a moving violation or accident claim. I had a small mishap. Someone had parked in front of my driveway late at night. I did not see them when I pulled out of my garage, but then they were there and I literally rolled into them. Allstate said it was my fault and raised my premium by two thousand dollars a year! Really TWO THOUSAND! The repairs to both cars were less than that! Got five other insurance quotes that lowered my premium by $1700.00 a year even with the mishap. Customer loyalty is not in their vocabulary. I also have my homeowners insurance with them. I guess paying my premiums on time for both policies over twenty years doesn't mean anything to them. Don't ever go with Allstate. They don't have your back!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

If you don't turn in an odometer reading in a timely manner to a specific processing address (and NO your local agent can't take it) then you are charged with an exaggerated yearly mileage use to increase your rates. The only way to fix it is to send a verified odometer reading from a repair shop that shows a lower reading. I was trying to get my last reading from my local office for a nonoperational vehicle (over a year down with no battery = no reading available) and the computers had been down. I wasn't able to get back before the deadline on the paper. Now I'm screwed for an extra $30/month until I get better insurance. That nonoperational vehicle went from 1500 a year mileage use to 17000 a year mileage use. At the bottom it says if inaccurate contact your rep. I did and he can't do a darned thing about it.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Allstate has a policy to deny car insurance claims because it saves us money. When a client causes an accident, it is the policy of Allstate to say the other person was liable despite the police report. No company has to follow the officer's statement of who was at fault. When Allstate states you are at fault and you're honestly not: report them. Writing on a blog won't help. Report them to ALDOI if you are in Alabama. And the insurance agency in your particular state. They strip you of all dignity when you work for them because they give you no option to be honest with people who may have lost everything in an accident that is not their fault.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Allstate responded quickly when I called with a claim. Actually, they responded so many times I called back asap to get them to stop reaching out to me. They helped me update my information and transferred me to a person who could get me a better agent as well. I was happy with that. Adjuster: The Chelmsford MA adjuster was a bit of a jerk. He treated me like a dumb woman and having a background in insurance and a brother who's a mechanic, it was insulting. HE suggested a different auto body shop than the one I have used in the past- this was unusual as Allstate doesn't promote shops, but I took his offer to heart (a MISTAKE). The adjuster, when he stopped talking & got down to it, was quick & I got out of there.

Claim Service: Claims Agent Nikki was very nice and pleasant. The website was handy- especially when the body shop kept claiming they submitted the paperwork but Allstate wasn't getting the fax. We drove over, took a pic of the paperwork & uploaded it in 2 minutes. Suddenly the body shop's paperwork was faxed in. I'm not sure who's at fault - it was ridiculous though. The website and App are helpful to have some form of control over it.

Rental Car: Coverage was fine, Enterprise worked well. BUT Allstate canceled the coverage before I got back to my state (I was 6 hrs away when repair completion was called into Allstate) and after I picked up the car & returned the rental I called to get the final day paid for. Here's the bizarre thing: The Claims Number DIDN'T WORK. Suddenly, Nikkie ** was gone. I sent a message via the website, no response, no access via the phone. Nothing. So I guess we pay the extra fee for the rental. Glad it won't break us- but it's poor service- especially after the claims person assured me herself that the rental would be paid until I had my car back. Guess not.

Recommendation: Clear up when things happen early in the process- before they select "Claim Closed" in their system. Also- be sure to communicate with agent about how Allstate communicates with repair shop, car owners should have some involvement. So a good claims process turned not so good by disappearing behavior. We are switching this fall to firms via a general insurance agent. No more 800# insurance policies for us.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I've had Allstate Auto and Homeowners Insurance for 5 years. I have made NO claims, NEVER had an accident, no tickets and am in the same vehicle. My rate has gone up $313.00 a year for being a perfect customer. Wow!!! What a horrible company!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Have homeowners insurance with Allstate for a very long time. Purchased auto insurance less than 2 months ago and now have been terminated. Our agent told us to disregard a termination letter due to them not receiving a certain paper. He said these letters were customary and to ignore it. We decided to fax and mail what the letter said to do.

We were told their fax machine is broke and they never received a letter. They first gave us a fax number that didn't work. We were promised the situation would be fixed and were told by customer relations that we should be covered within 24 hours but could not guarantee it. She even told us we should have not been terminated but could not and would not promise we would have our coverage back. In the meantime we are driving around with no coverage for 2 cars. Our agent promised to mail us a letter stating everything is fine and we will soon be covered again. He mailed us a quote for life Insurance. I would most definitely say Never choose Allstate.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

The last time I filed an auto insurance claim was 1986 (excluding a cracked windshield in 1999), and no tickets or accidents in 30 years. On July 28, 2017, my fairly new Honda CRV with fewer than 7,800 miles ran across road debris. Not an accident, but the tire immediately lost pressure. I pulled into a convenience store parking lot. With six 70-millimeter screws holding my spine together, I was unable to change the tire. I phoned Allstate Roadside Assistance. A wasted two hours! When Alexa put the third call on hold for 23 minutes, I disconnected and phoned the repair shop where a certified mechanic changes oil and rotates tires.

He advised calling Tire Kingdom, which provided the phone number of a tow truck owner who was there in ten minutes. Although Allstate's non-assistance rep said I'd have to wait four hours and the cost of assistance would be $150, part of which was covered, Poinciana Towing charged only $50, which will be reimbursed. Thing is, 14 calls to Allstate have yet to even obtain the form to submit for reimbursement. Three of the calls were dropped by Allstate's phone system, and the reps did not call back, though they had access to my policy and contact info. I can only imagine what would happen if this 65-year-old actually had an accident and filed a claim. When the policy expires on December 15, I'll obtain a new policy with a reputable company. Avoid Allstate at all costs.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

My wife was rear ended while traveling to work in March 2017 by an Allstate client. At first all seemed well; then day 2 we were told to return rental vehicle immediately, don't get medical attention because we wont pay, and then that no tow bills would be paid either. They never sent an adjuster to see vehicle but argued with me that car was drivable. I asked them to come show me how because I can't get it to move. Absolutely no action. After hiring an attorney they have offered about half our actual loss so we're headed to court. Our attorney has already won a case against said defendant before and feels sure our case is only a matter of going through the miserable, wasteful process. I've been running a successful business for over 35 years and I've dealt with many insurance companies, governmental agencies, law enforcement, etc. but I've never seen such a show of arrogance. They shouldn't be allowed to do this to people!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I believe all insurance companies have turned into thieves ever since it has become mandatory to have insurance. Insurance companies have become the million dollar jobs because they take your money and don't have to do anything. However, Allstate is at the top of my list due to their unfair practices of denying to pay claims even when they have a police report that states who is at fault.

I had an accident where their insured was at fault. We all went to the police station together to file the report. After submitting the claim to Allstate, they refused to fix my car. They said that their insured said it was our fault. Allstate had the proof of who was at fault, yet they still refused to fix my car. I have never had insurance with Allstate. However, I will never ever consider getting insurance with them. If they were the only insurance company, I would rather pay the fine than to take up business with them. I will turn away from any/all commercials they advertise and I will discourage anyone/everyone from any of their business.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I have been with Allstate for a little over a year and I have been with a lot of insurance companies including MAIF and by far Allstate is the worst! In the short period of time I have been with them. They have cost me money and caused me stress. I was involved in an accident that was not my fault but because I had PIP included in my coverage I filed a claim just so I could get my medical bills paid. They could not even do that without causing me to owe medical bills that were submitted to them that they failed to pay. Then I switched banks and since I have automatic payments set up I called them to set up the payments out of my new bank and also updated the info online. On the day the payment was due I called them and made a payment through a representative to alleviate any confusion.

A representative from this incompetent company submitted a payment to my old bank after I made a payment costing me overdraft fees that Allstate refused to reimburse. Then to add insult to injury they charged me a return check fee on top of everything else and refused to take the charges off of my account even after they admitted they made a mistake. If I could give them zero stars I would. Please people!!! It is too many insurance companies out here. Don't waste your money AND TIME WITH ALLSTATE! THEY ARE A RIP OFF AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS POOR. I AM OFFICIALLY SWITCHING COMPANIES!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I am so glad I have Allstate Auto Insurance. It really made me feel like I matter as a customer. Customer service was so nice and they had great answers for the questions that I asked. They explained everything in a fashion that I understood so there was no confusion. They was very helpful and answered the million questions that I had plus they kept in contact with me until my claim was closed.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Allstate has penalized me for someone else hitting me. I am a safe driver and have never hit anyone but Allstate is charging me a surcharge because unfortunately someone hit me twice in a small amount of time. I think is highly inconsiderate of the customer.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

The overall policy coverage is acceptable but I don't like the fact that premium consistently keeps going up at least once a year with no extra coverage or benefits added. Also, Allstate needs live operators for assistance 24/7.

Original review: July 30, 2017

When my wife had an accident on a dark secluded road late at night Allstate's "roadside assistance" was a joke!! Whats the point of having emergency help when the APP doesn't work. They make you go through a gauntlet of hoops on the phone with no constructive solution to the emergency. I will be purchasing AAA roadside assistance... I have had it in the past and Never had problems like this...

Our local Allstate office was prompt and professional. They walked me through the process efficiently and fairly painlessly. The only mistake they have made so far was telling me our rental car coverage allowance is $50.00 a day for 30 days. We rented a car under the assumption that this was true. Now we are stuck paying the difference, because the claims office informed me that the allowance is only $30.00. My wife had to take a car back and plead with enterprise for the new lower rate. I've been with Allstate for close to 20 years. Depending on how high my rates go up because of my wife's accident will determine my future longevity with the company.

Allstate Auto Insurance Company Information