Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Allstate Auto Insurance
2.07/5

Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate sells auto, home, renters, motorcycle and life insurance. Allstate isn't an InsuraMatch partner at this time. To get multiple quotes all at once in less than 10 minutes, call InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Allstate is the third leading car insurer in the U.S. serving all 50 states with a massive network of local agents and 3,500 repair shops. Its financial strength ranges from good to excellent. Many customers are satisfied with Its auto claims servicing. It carries a range of coverage options and discounts.

PROS

• Excellent financial strength to meet its claims obligations
  • Discounts include new car, multiple policy, smart student, anti-theft device and anti-lock brake discounts
  • A leading car insurer in the United States
  • Offers Allstate eSmart, EZ pay plan, FullPay, early signing, responsible payer, accident forgiveness, deductible rewards and Safe Driving Club discounts
  • Above average rating on claims satisfaction

CONS

• Some customers experienced occasional premium increases
  • Prices are slightly above industry average

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1869 Allstate Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I am starting to see negative things about Allstate. They did not notify me at the time of my renewal about going up $3 more on my car insurance, so I called the agency and she was not in at the time. Coworkers claimed that they will have her call me back, a week went pass so I called again recently, left a message & said it was like my second request for my agent to call me. So finally she got in touch with me later that day and apologize for not getting back to me sooner which was all good & everything. So I let her know what the situation was & she said another person had the same problem I did & it should have been on my renewal & she said she believed it was from the car being over 10 years old. I mean what difference does it make how old the car is.

I can see them going up on a brand new car, you can't win, so she says she will give me a call back the next day to assure me, that that’s the reason. They should subtract the $3 off for not notifying me, when it really doesn't make a difference cause she said they're going to go up every year at the time of my renewal, any way for them to make money they will do it. Soon as it goes to a hundred I will find another Insurance Company to insure my vehicle & my home. All these insurance companies to me is not fair. They always find some reason to go up on your car insurance. All they want to do is collect your money every month.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

At the end of my policy period I went with another insurance company. Now Allstate agent Denise Buckley's office in West Palm Beach is telling me that if I don't show proof that I have insurance with someone else that I will be charged a $93.27 premium because I'm still "active" with them. I'm told that there is a grace period of 2 months with Allstate. I have never heard of this before. Now other insurance company has such a policy. I emailed and called to tell them I have an active insurance policy with someone else and that I have never had to show proof to any other insurance company before.

When I spoke to them on the phone they said that if my policy is still active after a 30 day period that I need to show proof to terminate the policy. I also called customer service who confirmed that my policy was canceled but her office is saying that a canceled policy and terminating a policy are two different things. WHAT??? I was also told that if I don't pay the 93.27 that it will be sent to a collection agency! This is downright bullying and harassment. Talk about a racket.

I am a 60 y.o. woman on a fixed income and this is how I'm being treated. I have NEVER been treated like this before. I WILL NEVER USE ALLSTATE AGAIN!!!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Instead of going green, I opted to receive a statement each month. After being with them for 6 months, they raised my rates $46/month, That's almost $300 for 6 single pieces of paper. Yes...I was advised. But had no idea my rates would increase 22% if I didn't. I mean, the last thing I expected of my insurance company is to be taken advantage of like that. I intend to do 2 things, #1 I intend to contact my utility folks and find out how much I can save by "going green" and #2 Shop for new auto insurance.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Allstate says that "YOU ARE IN GOOD HANDS WITH ALLSTATE". Well after 40+yrs with them, I can say they have their hands in your pocket. Had an accident that they claim there were injuries, and there were none. Neither of the parties filed any injury claim. Allstate kept trying to give me about 40% less than my totaled car was worth. After filing with the Department of Insurance a complaint they finally settled the claim with about 20% still left on the table. But after fighting with them for 4 months, I accepted their offer. Stay away from Allstate. They "PLACE PROFITS BEFORE PEOPLE"!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My car was hit by an Allstate driver in the passenger and rear doors. The police report shows it was their driver's fault but Allstate's policy is DELAY, DENY AND DEFEND with their on retainer auto accident lawyers. Allstate wouldn't send an appraiser instead making me download their app and send them pictures. They offered to pay 20% of their estimate of $600. I took the car to 3 body shops and the estimates were all above $3500. Told not to drive the car. Airbag issue and door wouldn't open. We had to go to binding arbitration where Allstate knows in NYS it's easy to get the reviewer to settle on a partial responsibility. They do this to screw their own insured too as the nice little old lady didn't get her car money either. Your wallet is in good hands with Allstate, they as a corporation should be ashamed. God help anyone who has to deal with the corporation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

***Agent ID ** Chad from Allstate horrible person, says he doesn’t care if I contact the CEO about his behavior. He says if you all confront him about our call he will just say that he is licensed in all 50 states so he can’t help everyone. Kelly the rep I spoke with also was rude because she doesn’t know your policies. She told me to "go right ahead" when I stated I would complain about her customer service. ***

I’ve been having horrible customer service from Allstate. First they lied to me about what was covered on my insurance so they could get my bank account information. Then after the lie, they have given me the worst customer service when I try to find out what their policies are for certain coverages. They get attitudes because they don’t know Allstate’s policies, and John Fox Tampa Florida office is beyond horrible. His reps need to be fired. All of the reps I mentioned give your company a bad name. The manager Thomas I spoke to was amazing but unfortunately Chad agent ID ** refused to get me back over to him.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

My family had been with Allstate for more than 30 years, after I actually worked for them. We had several other policies with them as well, such as homeowners, boat, and umbrella policies. Recently, my wife's car was rear-ended in an accident, and sustained moderate damage. Allstate picked a low-ball value for our car, declared it to be a total loss, and refused to pay to have it repaired or for the damage. They also advised that if we kept the car and had it repaired ourselves, they would have the title branded as a total loss vehicle, and that they would no longer insure it. Allstate used an outside valuation company for the claim, who scoured the country for "comparable vehicles," which ranged from two hundred to a thousand miles away.

None were the same edition or equipment, and most had other serious differences. When we asked them to replace our car with a similar local vehicle which was for sale, they said that they don't do that. When we objected to their valuation, they couldn't have cared less. The value that they came up with was approximately half of what it would cost to replace the car. ($5,800 vs. $10,000). After more than 30 years as a customer, with few claims, their attitude was take it, or go through our appeal process, which they advised "could take months, and you could end up paying for that as well." We have had a few claims in the past, mostly not our fault, and they were always handled promptly and fairly. Ironically, we were later asked to take a survey on how our claim was handled.

I let them know that we were very unhappy with the entire process, and that we felt cheated in the valuation of our vehicle. We never heard back from them. Our agent was outstanding. He was very upset at how we were treated, and tried, but he couldn't get Allstate to act responsibly on our behalf. We switched to Travelers. Same coverage, great company, and we save $600 per year. We will miss our agent, but we won't miss Allstate.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Allstate gave me a small rental car for one week. They did not pay me for extra days. My car repair shop took another week because of the storm. They are not responsible to pay the extra rental car. I returned the small car. The company did not give another options. This company do not stick with its mission 'are you in good hands?' I was not in good hands. There is not culture value in this organization. Shame of you.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I was rear ended by a client with Allstate. They refused to cover the repairs to my vehicle stating that I wasn’t paying attention. I had to spend money out of my pocket to take the lady who hit me to small claims court and Allstate hired an attorney to try and claim that I was not driving safely. The lady who hit me was instructed to lie to the judge by the attorney. I won my case. Obviously I was rear ended and they didn’t have a case. I am still waiting to be paid to fix my car. EVERY TIME I call the agent handling my claim it goes straight to voicemail. How terrible is it for this money hungry corporation to try and screw people over who have been hit by their clients.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I had been an Allstate customer for close to 10 years. About 3 years ago my Agent Dennis ** retired and customer service has never been the same; my premiums kept going up every 6 months even though I had never had a claim. I kept meaning to get new insurance but could never find the time to research for new quotes. I eventually did in September 2018 and lo and behold I secured premiums that were 66% cheaper than I was paying with AllState. I emailed my then Agent Melody ** and followed up with a phone call that I would be cancelling my insurance effective midnight September 21, 2018. Yep, you guessed it, the cancellation didn’t happen and to top it all they went ahead and deducted October’s premium from my checking account causing an overdraft situation.

After numerous emails and phone calls I was able to get them to refund the erroneous October deduction and they were “nice enough” to refund the $30 OD fee assessed by my bank or so I thought. In trying to get them to refund my prorated amount for September a CS rep told me the extra $30 on the October refund was the prorated September amount. I doubt that 'cause I was paying $200/month for auto and 9 days does not equate to $30 not to mention there was nothing refunded on my condo policy. Long story short...stay away from Melody **'s agency. Their service sucks, they don’t return phone calls and emails fall into a black hole never to be seen by anyone and if you cancel prior to the end of your term don’t expect a refund!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Got rear-ended by a guy going 40 mph with All State Insurance. I was stopped at a red light minding my own business--the guy never put on the brakes. I was extremely sore in my back and neck for weeks. Could've sued for thousands. Instead all I asked was for car rental reimbursement while my GMC Yukon was in the shop. All State said, "No problem." So I drove a rental for 2 weeks and submitted my receipt. They paid me less than 1/2 claiming that the car I rented was excessive. It was a Nissan Rogue (smaller than my GMC Yukon). I am a high school girls golf coach and need at least an SUV to transport the clubs. All State didn't care. I guess what they say about insurance companies is true... they will screw you if given the chance. I was definitely "not in good hands."

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I've been an Allstate Home and Auto Insurance customer for 18 years. No moving violations (seatbelt ticket 10 yrs ago) or any claims home or auto. My auto premium has steadily been going up every policy period $50+ for liability only on 3 order cars. When I called my agent about the never ending increases I was told "economy is good. Everyone is driving and texting and filing claims." I got Costco now and pay $300 a year less for FULL coverage on 2 of my 3 cars and same amount of liability coverage. Now when I see an Allstate commercial on tv (2-3 an hour sometimes) I laugh not cringe.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My car was hit while being parked in my daughter's driveway at her home, by an Allstate customer. No one was in the car, and she admitted fault. This happened on the 18th of October, it has been almost one month and still have no car. Took it to one of their shops, and the place she hit it in the back quarter panel, apparently had been bonded before, (this is a 2007). She caused quite a bit of damage to the car, so Allstate says since it had been bonded before and it cracked where she hit it they will not pay to have this repaired. It has to be replaced ($2000.00) and I have to pay for it. The shop took the car apart to get the estimate, and say they won't repair it unless I pay for the new quarter panel. I was then informed that I had to pay $138 to pay for the disassembly charges before they would release it to another shop that is willing to fix it, without replacing the quarter panel.

I did talk the shop down to $78, Allstate refuses to pay for this also. They say the hit the car took from her hitting it wouldn't have cracked if it hadn't been bonded. I say if she hadn't hit it, it wouldn't have cracked. This is my grandson's car, he is 17 so could not get a rental, so he has been getting rides for almost a month now. I requested a rental car for me, and he could drive my car. They said sure I'm entitled to one, but to this day still have no rental car. I have talked to so many different people and get nowhere with anyone. It makes no sense how your car is parked legally in your driveway and Allstate customer hits it, and you end up paying out of your pocket.

If anyone can explain this to me please do. I have contacted the State Board of Insurance, and I am filing, but they said it will be 3 to 4 months before they get to this issue. Where is the JUSTICE... All I've ask Allstate for is to cosmetically put the car back to where it was before it was hit. They have informed me also, none of their shops will fix it without me paying to replace the quarter panel, even though they agree it can simply be bonded. They also have no recommendations where to take it. I've had to do all the searching on my own with no help from Allstate...

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Allstate states that WE as the victims of their client's negligence are held responsible for a rental car while our vehicle is being repaired. They tried to close the claim out prematurely without properly assessing the repairs and damage. If it weren't for my dispute Allstate would have sent my wife and 3 kids back on the road with MAJOR drivetrain damage. With the vehicle having to go back the shop Allstate still claims that they are not liable for the rental cost because the original case was closed 2 weeks premature. YOU'RE IN GOOD HANDS? More like, "WE GOT YOU. NOW PAY UP SUCKER!" WHAT A JOKE.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I've been an Allstate customer ever since I started driving, and it's an absolute JOKE. My car was hit in a roundabout a few weeks ago by a man who was in the incorrect lane and trying to exit without paying attention. He admitted to both of those facts. He also happened to be another Allstate customer. My adjuster, Faith, assured me multiple times that the other driver was clearly at fault, and we shouldn't have any issues. I was skeptical, and being in customer service I knew she shouldn't be making those kinds of statements, but I had hope that Allstate would do the right thing. They didn't.

My adjuster and his (Jennifer, who did nothing but accuse me of being in the wrong lane, which I proved wrong with a simple Google search, and argue rather than listen to what happened) "couldn't come to an agreement," and passed the case onto their manager, Brian. I then received a call stating that my case was a "he-said-she-said" situation, and that the damage to my car would not be taken care of. When I contacted the manager, it was clear that he couldn't care less about the situation and waved me off when I told him I will be looking into a different insurance company.

I'm not even upset that Allstate's decision didn't go my way. I'm upset because they don't care about their customers. My car was rammed in the side by a driver who wasn't paying attention, and Allstate just doesn't care. I truly believe that if the other driver had a different insurance company, Allstate would've fought for their and my money. I'm lucky that I wasn't injured, because I'm sure they wouldn't have taken care of any hospital bills, either. I will be switching insurance companies and filing a complaint with Virginia's Bureau of Insurance.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

This insurance company is by far the worst I have had to deal with, I lost my camera equipment (back in August) which was insured under personal property policy. I never heard from my agent instead they put me through an investigation and then a deposition with a lawyer to retell my story for a third time. I still to this day have not received a straight answer to when my claim will be completed. I have to deal with the investigator that was assigned to the claim (a real treat) and all I ever get is "we are working on it". I sat with the lawyer and investigator. On October 11th they told me two weeks, now it is November 2nd and still no word, no update, or communication. I am out approximately 4k and have gotten no further than the first day I made the claim. In good hands... What a joke!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

These guys charged me $400 after I already changed insurance policies. Illegally took the money out of my account than sent me to collections for another $250 after taking $400 from my account. These guys are simply just thieves. On principal, I'm filing suit, don't care if it costs me 5k, just out of principle because I know this is probably a common practice and rip off a lot more people than just me. Allstate, you'll never ever get my business for any of your insurance products.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

After receiving a letter that only allowed me 5 days to respond (from the date of the letter), I tried reaching my agent. I tried several times and spoke to Allstate Corporate who also tried to reach them. After about 3 weeks, when I got a personal cell number for my agent, they said they had system issues with Allstate (couldn't get to any Allstate corporate system, including their voice mail or receive phone calls). They answered questions about the letter I had received and why.

Sent that in, however still receiving invoices from Allstate. The Corporate number said only the agency can remove the charges (didn't back date it even though I couldn't reach the agency). The agency still didn't have access to the Allstate system so couldn't do anything. Three weeks later, I've tried again. The agent is no longer with Allstate (wouldn't respond why, but I'm guessing because they couldn't do business without access to the Allstate corporate system, including getting phone calls). I've tried Corporate again to get the charges removed. They said there isn't anything they can do about removing the charges! This is not acceptable!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

This company has been awful to deal with. My car was wrecked by one of their clients' cars and that has been more than 30 hours ago and I am still not getting any information about when I can get a rental. I am completely at the mercy of friends for rides to and from work and to get my daughter to and from school. And tonight my daughter is missing her dance class because me having a vehicle to drive isn't a concern of anyone but me. Thank you Allstate for not caring about the other car involved.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

If you have a good agent, just about any insurance company can do a good job for you. The customer service and even the policies you buy are determined mainly by the quality of the agent you have. I have a good agent so I am happy.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Allstate is a nice company and they are a bigger one but they act like smaller one that just cares about the people who they are working with. I have never had a problem with them and they work fast and do a great job no matter what.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My family has used AllState since before I could even drive and none of them had a problem with it. Likewise I have used it and the price has been fair, support has been fantastic when it comes to any billing issues. My mother had a couple claims in the past year and each time they resolved it with the utmost ease to her and that alone gives me confidence.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Frankly everything has been good with my company. In times that I have needed have responded as it should be, in time and form so finally I'll stay with them and I dare to recommend them. The people of attention to customers have always been kind and empathetic and they have given me excellent treatment.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Coverage and price seem to be pretty similar to the other major insurance companies. I've only had one claim, and it was due to an uninsured driver who crashed into my car. The claims process was painless.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I've had different insurance companies over the years, both brick and mortar and internet, but Allstate's rates are unnecessarily high compared to most. I can't say there's anything that made their coverage or service better in comparison to most, so I don't see a good explanation for the high rates.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

My experience with Allstate has been great in my 20 something years of membership. I sometimes feel that I could find a better price elsewhere, but my agent is always available whenever I need him. He makes me feel like I am an important customer even though I am sure he has a long list of customers. I rarely file claims, so I only deal with him when renewing my policy.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

My coverage is great and my premiums are lower than other companies. I like the fact that my agent is local and can always reach him if I have a problem. I have had one claim, but it was taken care of very quickly and very professionally. I wouldn't change companies for the world.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've had Allstate for many years now, at least 10 years. One of my main complaints with Allstate is that my rates increase every year and I have to call in and threaten to drop my policies in order to prevent the premium increase. Customer service is usually good but it is still annoying having to play that game every year. In terms of claims I've found that Allstate was surprisingly easy to work with. I've only had one claim which came from hail damage and I was definitely satisfied with the ease of submitting a claim and the amount I was given.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've had Allstate for at least 20 years. But despite their ads, you do not get a good driver discount on the rate. Every year or two my rate has increased despite never being in an accident or getting a moving violation. I don't even want to think about all of the money I wasted, as I've never used their service. Auto insurance is a total ripoff. So it's isn't just Allstate that is tearing me a new one. The government is to blame for stealing money and allowing these companies to gouge the consumer.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

One of Allstate's clients drove recklessly and hit my vehicle head on. My child and I were injured and my car was in need of repair. Additionally part of my family has previously dealt with fatal head on accidents and this has thrown us for a loop. The claims agent and her supervisor provided minimal assistance and nearly encouraged me to use my own insurance to cover their client's wrongdoing so they would not have to cover the claim. When I expressed my dismay with their assistance they said they would meet the minimum legal obligation and that car accidents are merely unfortunate inconveniences people must sometimes deal with.

Allstate Auto Insurance Company Information