3.8/5 (1710 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate is an auto insurance company with a large network of agents throughout the country. It offers online quotes and provides coverage for cars, motorcycles and ATVs. You can file claims with Allstate online, and the company extends discounts for bundling multiple insurance policies.

Pros

• Coverage in all states
  • Various discount programs
  • Innovative technological resources

Cons

• Premium increases after first term
  • Ride for Hire not in all states

Bottom Line

Allstate offers standard auto coverage all throughout the U.S., as well as various discount packages. Its technology resources for drivers (e.g., Drivewise) aid in improving policyholders’ driving, which can help lower rates.

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Auto Insurance?

Original review: July 29, 2022

Most dishonest, disorganized, disrespectful insurance company we have ever dealt with. Beware. They will do everything possible to avoid paying what they owe you, and will pass the buck endlessly until you burn out and simply switch companies. I imagine their stock has done quite well.

Original review: July 29, 2022

All state put me in the worst position ever... Never believe their agents nor take their work. All state overdraft my account. After I suspended my payment and changed the date they still charged my bank account and cause major overdraft fees. Not only that I had to miss my aunt's funeral due to Allstate not giving me my money back. It took 3 days before Karen from the resolution team called. She was rude and nasty. Overtalked me. Yelled at me. They then want me to call my bank. Have them send proof of my fees just to not return the fee for 5-7 days after. Allstate (Karen) never once apologized. Didn't have any empathy that I couldn't go to my mom sister funeral. I got paid and had to pay all the fees out my pay check causing me to be behind on other bills. Still haven't received any results or money.

Original review: July 23, 2022

I have been with Allstate for 30 years. My insurance went up $100 this past year. I called up the agent. They never called me back. I decided to get a quote elsewhere, it turns out to be $1,600 less a year than Allstate. I find this very troubling.

Original review: July 16, 2022

Allstate lazy, dumb employees Barbra **, Dominique ** Eliizabeth ** and Christine ** are the worst claim workers who continued to blame each other… Misplace, and lost claim information and didn’t submit my claim correctly and I had to file in court. I’m going back to the veteran insurance company USAA. Allstate is the worst insurance company ever. 2022.

Original review: July 2, 2022

So I switched from Geico to Allstate--which was a horrible mistake. I made an error and I was trying to correct the error. I reached out to Allstate via the app and chat, and was told one thing, but to my surprise I was greeted with a letter days later with a termination before I could even get my policy started. So not only was I given wrong information. I was later told that there was nothing they could do about being mislead online via chat. So here I am with a policy less than what I needed and paying more than I started--there was literally no benefit to leave the policy I had.

Original review: June 29, 2022

A very traditional insurance including service and attitude. I was involuntarily made customer of Allstate after a motorist missed my vehicle in the rearview mirror in a parking lot. Facing Allstates policy of “no third party involvement” precluded my own insurance from assisting and I had to face Allstate myself. Repair of my vehicle was easily assigned to a body shop but obtaining a rental car and getting reimbursed (which is unexpected) was intentionally made difficult. Several phone calls including the rental car location directly speaking to Allstate were needed to convince representatives to take responsibility for the claim. The “Rental Vehicle Guidelines” I received were useless when intending to rent a car for the rate that Allstate asserts is coordinated with rental car businesses. The effort to deceive customers with hopes to save money is VERY DISAPPOINTING to say the least.

Original review: June 28, 2022

AWFUL! Horrible! The Austin office is the worst! They have attempted to add my son to the policy even though he doesn't have a license or drive! They became very forceful, rude and threatening. To the point of telling me they would deduct the amount of money they wish from my bank, as the paperwork I signed to start with them allows them to charge for anything they wish. This is a very untrustworthy business!

Original review: June 22, 2022

Low premiums are great, but when I’ve exceeded 4 weeks to get my claim paid out and the claims department and total loss department doesn’t answer their phones or return calls low premiums don’t do me any good. As I’m still paying for something that’s not drivable and not in my possession. The only response I get is when my local agent calls the claims department on my behalf. 20 years ago this was a 48 hour turnaround. Now exceeding 4 weeks.

Original review: June 5, 2022

In January I got bill for 2 cars. My old car was a 2014. The new car 2021. The insurance was cheaper on the new car. Bill was over 700 for Six months. Sold old car. Got new bill from Allstate. It went from 350 every 6 month to over 500 every 6 months for a car that has more safety features than the old one had. Got rid of Allstate. Have another company offers me 421.00 per year better coverage. Years with the same company and that’s the way they treat you. To them it’s all about the money.

Original review: May 28, 2022

I was charged for 6 months of someone else's insurance, which I had not authorized. I called ALLSTATE to inform them of the problem, and to see if they could help resolve it. Customer service would not cooperate at all because my name was not on the insurance policy that stole my money. The money was charged fraudulently, and they refused to help. I cannot recommend ANY company that will not even TALK to me about money they took from me without my authorization.

Original review: May 16, 2022

Allstate a a scam. Please do not insure your car with them. If you ever have Allstate insurance then make sure you have a lawyer at hand because if you ever have claim they don’t pay, never return calls and are good at falsifying documents. Please do your research and never use Allstate. They are the worst insurance company.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Allstate Auto Insurance cost is about average but the service is way below average. The Claim department doesn't answer the auto accident report phone calls. The Auto damage adjuster doesn't show up after a week of delay. This is the highest auto insurance cost company but the lowest quality of service.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I switched to Allstate for cheaper rate offer provided from the Baltimore office with Alexis on 3/8. I provided my Debit card information for payment and received an email with payment confirmation and insurance information. On April 26th I received a notice from MVA my insurance was cancelled on 3/10. I called allstate and provided my policy number, got transferred to the local office in Baltimore and received the worse customer service ever. Alexis no longer works there and the man on the phone was very rude. I avoided arguing with him and stated I'll just write a review after I get assistance elsewhere.

20 minutes later I received text messages from him (**) with a screenshot of returned check charges etc.. and a long message telling me I'm Shifting the blame. I refused to argue with this man but will pray that Allstate finds better representatives. I'm back where I belong and I'm covered. But today 5/6 I get call from Allstate trying to offer me discounted rates for combined auto and homeowners insurance. Please help me figure out what's wrong with this picture. If I'm the one with insufficient funds how am I eligible to be covered so soon with discounts. You get what you pay for and I'm good paying the right price for better service and coverage. Stay away from Allstate

Original review: April 20, 2022

I acquired a Mileswise policy in 9/21/2021. It was set to renew on 3/21/2022. I was contact at 9:05am by an Allstate rep concerning renewal. She asked why I did not receive renewal Docs and cards. I answered that I did not know why and that I had not received anything in the mail due to the fact I was enrolled in Mileswise program. She had me call a Milewise Rep for Allstate. At which time I was connected with Ms. ** in North Carolina. She stated that I needed to pay $174 for my renewal docs to auto populate in the apps so that the dates on the cards would be update. I gave her my card info and asked to make sure, and she checked with a supervisor. She said that it should update within 48 hours at the latest.

As I am now driving on expired documents. 2 days went pass and the docs never changed and I still had expired docs in the app and nothing ever came in the mail. I called back and made an escalated complaint upon finding out that the was a $300 unpaid overage on my milewise account. My escalation was handled by a Chris ** at their Corporate office who only conveyed the recycled statement of a $300 unpaid balance which was not seen until after I paid $174. I told Mr. ** that I no longer wanted to do business with allstate. I was then told by another rep that the policy would cancel if I did not make payment by the 5th. I did not and proceeded to other insurance. I explained that it is seriously dangerous for me as an African American male to ride with expired documents as this would only cause problems. Especially when I have paid what they asked for renewal.

After getting new insurance I called on the 9th to tell them that I am canceling because I have a new policey, a gentlemen told me on 4/9/2022 that I was due a refund because I had paid that $174 as a "renewal" and now I am canceling the policy. I apprised him of the entire situation and he was sure of the refund. I did have to call again as he placed the points of our conversation in notes.

A LaDonna called me today to state that I was not entitled to a refund. I stated that requested was not manufactured by me. The gentlemen state that I was entitled to the refund. She said that my Policy was reinstated on the 12th due to my payment on March 21st. I explained not insurance company should allow a customer to ride on expired documentation if he has done as instructed. Plainly Allstate's actions were negligent and oblivious to the fact that I rode on expired docs and this was unfair and dangerous to me as a consumer. I would not recommend and further action is forthcoming.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I was rear ended at high speed by one of their policyholders in December. Their driver was given a citation. My car was written off so I put in a claim with Allstate. I was given a name and number for an adjuster for my claim when I called her I never got through to a person, I left multiple voice mails which were never returned. I called customer service many times which every time I was asked to go through what happened at the accident and told someone would get back to me, nobody ever did. I finally had to go through my insurance as I needed a car. It took Allstate 6 weeks to admit fault. They never did contact me to see about injuries missed time off of work. I always have to call them. After this experience I would never use Allstate as my insurance company, terrible customer service.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

This is the worse company. I was reared by an Allstate insured, who was issued a citation. The adjuster chopped my estimate down by 800.00 and told me I had to get the cheapest aftermarket parts. She or her supervisor has not returned my calls, when I call the representatives continue to put the call back in queue. I have never had an accident, my car was in Mint condition as I had just gotten a Carfax report from the Lincoln dealership who has performed all maintenance on my Lincoln. I had Excellent condition Ford parts but Allstate will not allow my vehicle to be repaired to the condition as it was prior to the accident. I had Authentic parts, not aftermarket. Customer service is horrible and unprofessional.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

I have had their insurance for around a year and half. First it started out good, the price of the insurance was great, they had my car, motorcycle and house and the rates were great. I hit a Deer and that's where I started having issues. I put in my claim, they never called me, I had to call all the time just to find out what was going on and where my claim was at. They did pay off, again I had to find out by calling in instead of them calling me. I never heard from my agent during the entire time of my claim. They did pay me off Quickly and fairly for my car after I called in to find out what was happening, they had it solved a week prior to my call but did not pay until I called.

I called to cancel my policies because I could not get an online quote, I was adding 2 vehicles and another driver, I had to call in, I called in 3 times, each time I got a different quote in a range of $400 difference. After I cancelled, 3 days ago it still shows up as being active, I have no idea how much I'm getting back. Their Computer system is slow updating, they told me it would take 48 to 72 hours to update, it's been that and still showing active, there are docs that show I cancelled but only the docs, no move in their system. As you can see, their system must be antiquated and I had lousy service, the prices are near the best if you don't mind bad service.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I do not recommend Allstate, I had an incident on January 7, the day of the snowfall, I filed the claim and Allstate does not want to pay, the adjuster that they assign the adjusters does not want to pay, the estimate was sent separately. Allstate requested a new estimate from workshop, I have been there for three weeks and the adjuster has not wanted to evaluate so as not to pay, but if one is days late if they are calling you to threaten you with the DMV to suspend the insurance, you think it is fair that Allstate be paid every month now at the time of an accident Allstate washes its hands notifying that the damage of the accident has not been evaluated when they already have all the estimated prices, I have been with Allstate for 10 years and I already realized that Allstate does not work. They only want to be paid their monthly payments and at the time of a claim call the claim department and they don't know how to answer you.

I do not recommend Allstate. Look at other insurance that actually pays for the damages. Allstate no longer works. It is just a name and advertising. Take a good look, between the claims offices and departments they do nothing, and when you have an accident, ask for the budget in the body shop about how much the fix will cost you and don't let the Auto Body shop charge you the supplement because between the Allstate adjuster and the Auto Body shop they agree so that the Auto Body shop charges a hefty sum of money without needing to. I do not recommend any supplement, ask for the estimate beforehand and pay exactly what the paint shop is charging, do not let the supplement be charged, that is scam and theft...

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Supervisors are too good to speak to the customer. I talked to a rep that contacted a supervisor within 1 minute, the supervisor asked him to ask me questions instead of answering the call. Then I have to call back 5 times still no supervisor. Total of 5 calls and 2 hours still no one to help. This is a joke. We pay a lot of money to them clowns.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

After preaching in the car for my son we called in to inform the insurance that this was a new car and it was assigned to our son and they added the car to the policy. But when he got into car accident they said he wasn't included in the policy but yet they took all my money and the car was added with no problem so we end up paying to fix our car out of our pocket. After that we just continue our policy with them as well as our resident home and our rental units.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

After shopping around I found a policy that was 1/3 the cost (Literally 1/3 the cost) and cancelled. After canceling I was charged 30% of the yearly fee after only having insurance for 13 days. Total scam hidden in the fine print.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

My car was rear ended on Sept 5, 2021. Called them but have not been able to fix my car. They give you so much running around and their sales people are very rude, Please do not get this insurance cause they will lure you with low payments and every month they increase. Run as far away as you can from this wretched company. Filled with people that do not have ethics and principles. Every time I talk to one of them I feel like am dealing with scammers.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

I was involved in an accident, that was 100% the other driver's fault; who is insured by Allstate Insurance Co. I was told to rent a car, from Enterprise car rental. I had to give them, free reign of my credit card. Allstate should have paid Enterprise directly. Other people I know, had Allstate, pay Enterprise directly.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

Was rear ended by an Allstate customer, police report and common sense says it was 100% their fault. Took me a month and a bunch of going back and forth with them before Allstate would even accept the claim. Kept trying to say they hadn't heard from their customer so they couldn't "verify" my claim. Yeah, her car was totaled, I'm sure she just forgot to call you.

Once they finally moved forward they tried to say all I needed was my bumper "refinished". A plastic bumper with holes and tears in it. They offered a tiny fraction of the quote I sent them from my mechanic. Which involved replacing the bumper, the underlying structure, and the rear subframe. Instead of working with me Allstate ignored me from that point on. They called my mechanic, who told them the same thing I had. In response to that they coughed up a little bit more, but still far short of the quote. In their revised estimate they added a few more parts but still insisted on refinishing the bumper. I told them no, they ignored me, and neither me nor my mechanic have heard from them since. At no point did they actually come out and look at the damage, this was all done over the phone. So now I have a damaged vehicle and will be out of pocket about $1000 to repair it. Garbage company, stay away.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I have been an Allstate member for 30 years. They have never done me wrong!! Claims, houses, cars, customer service… It’s all been excellent!!! Both my local agent and the global customer service agents have always been friendly, answered my questions and been so helpful!!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

Two occasions: first occasion was when Allstate didn’t want to finish my repairs on my veh when a deer jumped in front of. They waited their precious time and went over my 30 days on my rental and I just now knowing I owed a rental company. I asked several times can someone come out and do a full inspection and nothing happened. That virtual thing is not good. Allstate left me to still fix the remaining of my car and and rental I had.

2nd time is when Ed ** felt with all my information given it was either not enough or not to his standards and denied my theft claim at my home. I went through the deposition he assigned and everything. I gave him a lot of information to review. I even asked did he want to come to my home. From December to March I waited patiently to just find out today my claim was denied. I got a feeling I was ** and the deposition was **. He didn’t want to believe me or her. She is your lawyer. Why would she want to side with me. I presented my evidence and he didn’t like her judgement. Allstate is not for the people. I spent my money on allstate and I wish I never did. They need better agents and a better system. I will NEVER recommend ALLSTATE!!!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

Beware of James **. Agency Fountain Hills Az. The agent did not let me know that when I purchased a boat policy it would not be refundable if I moved and cancelled before term ended, although car and home policies are refundable. Amy said it was in the "Fine Print" of the policy. Typical of Allstate. Would recommend State Farm.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Rep did not have knowledge of insurance. I asked some very basic questions about my insurance. He did not know and continued to be put on hold 4 times in 15 min of conversation. I may be switching insurance. I need to have someone that has knowledge about the insurance they work for.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

- Allstate customer from 1994 to 2005. - Full coverage. - We were stopped at a red light. - No sound, no warning -- an uninsured driver fell asleep on his way home from work, foot pressed on gas pedal, rear-ended us at minimum 65MPH. - Impact thrust our car 50 feet forward. If there were any traffic in the intersection at that moment, we would have been car-ponged and killed for sure. - My head whiplashed against the head rest so hard that it broke out and fell behind the seat. I blacked out from the concussion. My wife's whiplash was almost as bad. It's an absolutely miracle that our toddler was unharmed (save for seatbelt-burns). Thank God we only had 1 child at the time, because with the position we were hit, the other child would have been killed instantly.

- The car was so completely totaled, the only salvage-able part was the hood over the engine. Every single other part was impact-rippled and damaged, including the roof and front fenders of the car. - During the initial 90 days after the accident, we knew exactly what life felt like for arthritis-plagued 80+ year olds. We understood what the term "dull, sapping, ever-present pain" truly means. - MRIs show that I now have 2 herniated discs in my neck. My wife has 1.

- Allstate refused to respond to our claim for exactly 1 year (somehow, by law, insurance companies are allowed 365 days before they must respond) -- they responded literally hours before the deadline. - Allstate had dozens of photos of the car, had the full report of the scene of the accident, had our MRIs and chiropractor report... and their response to our claim was: "We are not convinced that your injuries were caused by this accident. We are refusing your claim."

- I could give details of the next 2 years of taking legal action against Allstate -- but the best way to summarize it would be: Instead of just paying us our insured amount (less than six figures), Allstate spent at least 3 times that amount (close to a quarter-million) in lawyer and research (dirt-digging) expenses. It's not an exaggeration to say that they went after us like an over-zealous prosecuting attorney determined to pin a manslaughter charge on a jaywalker.

- In the end? I lost my business, I had to find employment (despite my condition) that couldn't cover our bills, we lost our home... we lost everything. We had to move in with relatives, pennyless, and had to start all over. - And I still suffer from 2 herniated discs in my neck and occasional severe migraines that are triggered when I am not careful in how I position my neck, and how I position my head when I sleep.

It is said that the lowest levels of Hell are reserved for "betrayers." However, there must be level lower than that, because there is a class of inhumans that the English language has no vocabulary for that can only be described as "beyond betrayers." I propose that this class of infernal beings be titled "Allstate Claim Decision Makers and Lawyers."

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Allstate says "you're in good hands." I called them for a quote for an auto policy tonight. I have a perfect driving record but did have claims last year. NONE of them were my fault. I pay about 1500.00 per year regularly. Allstate quoted me 5,100.00 for a year 520 per month for a basic Auto policy with their platinum plan. And I have NO surcharges on my record for over 25 years. STAY AWAY. THEIR PRICES ARE INSANE.

Allstate Auto Insurance Company Information