1.90/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Allstate Auto Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

1558 Allstate Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

The overall policy coverage is acceptable but I don't like the fact that premium consistently keeps going up at least once a year with no extra coverage or benefits added. Also, Allstate needs live operators for assistance 24/7.

Original review: July 30, 2017

When my wife had an accident on a dark secluded road late at night Allstate's "roadside assistance" was a joke!! Whats the point of having emergency help when the APP doesn't work. They make you go through a gauntlet of hoops on the phone with no constructive solution to the emergency. I will be purchasing AAA roadside assistance... I have had it in the past and Never had problems like this...

Our local Allstate office was prompt and professional. They walked me through the process efficiently and fairly painlessly. The only mistake they have made so far was telling me our rental car coverage allowance is $50.00 a day for 30 days. We rented a car under the assumption that this was true. Now we are stuck paying the difference, because the claims office informed me that the allowance is only $30.00. My wife had to take a car back and plead with enterprise for the new lower rate. I've been with Allstate for close to 20 years. Depending on how high my rates go up because of my wife's accident will determine my future longevity with the company.

Original review: July 28, 2017

From the very first day of trying to contact him. He would not answer my calls or my emails. I would call the 1-800-ALLSTATE. Get ahold of someone who would transfer me to his voice mail. My car was totaled by their client. They would only allow me to have a rental for 3 days a week after the wreck. The first week I spent my days trying to get ahold of someone to give me a claim # so the rental place could bill them. I missed 850.00 worth of work which he says they will not cover at all. Because I could not get ahold of him. Then he tells me it's my responsibility to get to and from work and to cover the rental car when the accident was not my fault. I was in a head-on collision with their client. He pulled in my Lane.

Then they had an adjuster come out and look at my car. Told me it was totaled and then had it towed away so I called the agent again and asked him, "Well if you took my car then you're taking liability. Where's my rental?" and he said, "We're not taking liability yet" so why did they already take my car? They didn't take responsibility for 7 days and they took my car to second day. Now 3 days after I've had the rental I have to take it back. I still haven't gotten the check for my car. I haven't even been able to look for a car because I don't have a car. I have to go to work tomorrow and have no car to get to work. They need to do something about their procedures or train him better. He's out of Denver Colorado. I'm in Omaha Nebraska.

Original review: July 26, 2017

If you ever get hit by an Allstate customer be prepared to be put through the ringer. My car was hit and repaired by them, but my depreciation of claim was denied! When your car has been hit it's your right to be compensated because your car's value has just gone down.

Original review: July 26, 2017

February 2017, I had a horrible car accident with my children, a lady t boned me as I was coming across the road, looked both ways did not see her she was going pretty fast, it made my car flip over and roll. Anyways my husband called the insurance company and talked with our agent they said that everything would be covered. When the accident was apparently ruled my fault, they tried saying "oh your insurance was lapsed..." And we paid the payment.

Long story short needless to say we're going to be out 25,000 dollars due to the other lady. Would never recommend this company. It took from February 2017 till July 2017 for them to do their investigation and for them to tell us they would pay for nothing... They need a lawsuit slapped against them, I've come to learn you are not in Good Hands with Allstate. Sad thing is they sent the court house a copy of my insurance, When I got pulled over for a head light that I didn't see was out... I always had to stay on them about sending insurance cards as well...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Original review: July 25, 2017

My car was rear ended by someone who has Allstate. And you would expect since both of our insurance providers is Allstate the process would be easy. My car ended up being towed due to repair being more expensive than the car is worth even though it was a 3-year-old car. They under appraised and deducted the cost of keeping the car at the repair shop for appraisal and tear down. Allstate only allowed me to keep the car rental for 3 days. So I had no car and still haven't received settlement amount. Allstate "Total Loss Service Adjuster" service is awful. Their response time is awful. I was dealing with Kendra ** who left messages twice in two weeks and has not called back. Once I get my settlement I'm leaving AllState for good. AllState motto should be "AllState you will not be in good hands".

Original review: July 25, 2017

I tried to stay with Allstate (auto), however after they kept raising my rates even when I asked them several times why I can't lower it. They kept saying there was nothing they could do. So when I finally found another company less expensive, I had paid a month by automatic deduction from my bank account. I was only 7 days in for the month, I asked for a refund for amount unused which was practically the whole month. They refunded me 1/5 of the payment which I am totally upset over. After 2 emails requesting they check this and fix it, they will not. They think they are justified with their decision. However I'm going to file a complaint against them. They are overpriced and not a nice company to deal with. The rep I had to deal with was just not a nice person. Never again, Allstate stinks.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I had to file a claim for vehicle damage a few months ago while on an out of state trip. I was assured by a pleasant sounding representative that everything would be fine and taken care of, and that Allstate was there to assist me in any way possible. I was equally assured that using an Allstate approved body shop would make the process run much more smoothly. That Allstate approved body shop reported back to Allstate and myself that even though it was convenient that the body damage and mechanical damage happened at the same time, they were unrelated issues. Allstate therefore only covered the body damage and left the mechanical damage unresolved, even after I had paid my deductible. In addition to my deductible, I had to pay out of pocket for a week's worth of a rental car as well as an overnight hotel stay while trying to baby my still defective car 11 hours to my home after it was released from the body shop.

Now my car sits, dead, at my home. I purchased the car six years ago and had paid it off completely within the first month of purchase, including an extended warranty. I'd kept up on regular maintenance as well as anything that came up along the way and I have the meticulous records to prove it. Before this incident I had yet to file a claim and hadn't, in my entire driving career, been in an accident. I carried full coverage because it made sense to me that if anything were to happen, I would want the situation resolved without incident. The resources and responsibility that I've invested into this vehicle ceased to matter when I trusted Allstate as my car insurance. On top of spending my savings on this disaster, I'll have to either finance repairs or another pre-owned vehicle, either of which requires a monthly payment that I have already paid over and again in the form of a monthly Allstate bill.

Insurance is supposed to be a protective factor, but this company has simply taken what I've worked for. In attempting to resolve this issue, I've made attempts to contact my agent, none of which have been returned. A month ago I stopped trying to contact anyone and am now spending another night on the computer trying to find a way to fix this. It's really not that easy to scrape up a few grand for repairs when the savings has already been depleted on the same issue. The ads on television make this company look like a cut above the rest; if only that were true. Consumer money pays for those ads, but for what? It's been a shame to have trusted this company with a valuable asset. Whether I can fix this car or have to finance a new one, a different company will be paid to protect it and little by little, Allstate will lose the money handed to them each month for their plush advertisements which, in actuality, amount to nothing.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Allstate has been an absolute nightmare to work with. I was rear ended by one of their drivers in April and am STILL fighting with Allstate to have this resolved. The body shop that I took my car to provided Allstate with an estimate for the required repairs that needed to get my car back to the pre accident condition. Prior to the accident, my car was in great condition and well cared for. Allstate's adjuster, Jessica **, agreed with the repairs, but said they needed to run the value of my vehicle to decide whether to total my car or pay the repairs. I provided all necessary documentation to aid in the value of my car. I was told that I would receive a response in 48 hours at the very latest.

Four days later, after I left several unanswered messages, I finally heard back from Allstate. They said that they could not work with my body shop. They did not agree with the required repairs and refused to pay to have my car fixed. They also would not total my vehicle either. So, Allstate is admitting that their driver was at fault, but is refusing to pay to make me whole again. Allstate said that they do this to several drivers a week. They have taken away my livelihood and are walking away from their responsibility. As the driver at fault's insurance company, Allstate has done everything to screw over the victim. To top it all off they have also tried to wiggle out of paying for my rental! They are the most disgusting company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Original review: July 19, 2017

When they state Allstate "You are in good hands". Let's see if you really are in good hands. Your coverage seems fine until you get in a accident and need Allstate to repair your vehicle. Allstate appraisers allow the cheapest used or aftermarket parts replacement for your vehicle, they don't care about the quality of the parts going to your vehicle. Also they do not cover the necessary procedures needed to proper repair your vehicle. They want to shops to perform the procedures for free. They want to allow for USED structural parts replacement for your vehicle, that's something that can easily compromise the safety of the vehicle.

Also they do not comply with State law. A supplement was requested on a Friday, they only showed up for the supplement inspection on the following week Thursday. Massachusetts state laws states: The insurer shall assign an appraiser who shall personally inspect the damaged vehicle within three business days of the receipt of such request. So... Is this what you get when "You Are in Good Hands"?

Original review: July 18, 2017

When I requested 3 times to stop my auto ins coverage from agents office (Tonda Phillips) the office failed to inform the consumer that the dates need to be specific in order to comply with North Carolina law. Had the office informed me of that I would not have to pay the $50.00. NO disclaimer was told to me about the importance of exact date. The agency had to refund me money because I was paid till June, but misreported the new end date. Which now I have learned is easily accessed by ALL ins companies online. Her (Tonda's) response was "We are not lawyers and do not provide disclaimers". Aren't the agents responsible to keep the consumer informed and in compliance with the law?

Original review: July 18, 2017

I am very upset and highly disappointed with Allstate. I have been with Allstate for several years and hydroplane the end of last year. Ever since my claim, each renewal policy continues to increase. In order to receive any discount you have to be accident-free even if it's not at fault for three years just to be eligible. That's a load of crap. How do you think people are going to stay with this car insurance if loyalty is not reciprocated. I believe it's unfair and no value to stay with this company that will blackmail you with rate increases. Like hello, what happen to customer satisfaction!!! Please add me to the survey team so I can seriously look into making the company better. No one cares so don't waste your TIME, MONEY, and YEARS of LOYALTY with Allstate.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I was riding my bicycle when a car driven by a person insured with Allstate, did not yield right of way to me and hit me sending me flying across the road. I was scraped up badly on my arms and legs. My bicycle was also damaged. I got a message from my doctor that the insurance company Allstate did not want to pay the bill. The Allstate driver admitted in the accident report that it was her fault entirely. Eventually Allstate paid the doctor bill only after they got a reduced rate on the medical bill. I also submitted a bill to repair my bicycle, but they never paid me a dime. My bicycle was a $2000 road bike, that had less than 500 miles on it. They are a cheap and underhanded organization, that I don't recommend anyone do business with. We are not in good hands with Allstate.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I would not advise Allstate Insurance for auto insurance. My daughter had an accident back in January 2017. Within two weeks, the other parties' insurance (Allstate) denied the claim based solely on the recorded statements alone of both parties. Needless to say it went to arbitration and the 3rd party decision ruled that my daughter was not at fault based on the recordings, police report (which Allstate did not even have at the time their decision was made), and the eye witness' report.

Now we have to use our insurance company and probably go thru arbitration again to get our car fixed. The repairs will most likely be under a $1000, wouldn't it speak highly of an insurance company to not only take care of their own customers but also take care of the other parties involved when proven that they were not at fault. Here it is July and it will probably take another 4 to 6 months to get these minor repairs done. DO NOT GET ALLSTATE AUTO INSURANCE. This has been a nightmare. If needed, I can supply any reports necessary to verify my experience.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Poor auto liability coverage - After being hit by a young lady who had Allstate Insurance, Allstate delayed approval of coverage for a month, and after a month of driving a wrecked car and after begging for my car to be fixed, Allstate encouraged me to use MY insurance (and pay a $500 deductible - seriously?!). They rushed/hassled my body shop, was very rude to me and body shop workers, over explain everything and refused to pay for all the rental car repairs stating after the fact that "I SHOULD HAVE DROPPED MY CAR OFF ON A MONDAY INSTEAD OF A THURSDAY". After I had to wait an entire month to get them to accept responsibility and start repairs. Terrible experience. Now I know why people fake illness and hire an attorney!

Original review: July 10, 2017

I have had Allstate Insurance for about 12 years and never filed a claim. I carry both collision and liability. During a trip to the car wash where the cars are on a conveyor belt, my car turned sideways and was hit by the auto behind me. It has been determined that liability belongs to the Car Wash. The business will not give up their insurance information and Allstate hasn't procured the info. Allstate doesn't care anything about customers, only premiums since the accident happened 3 weeks ago. If this is ever straightened out I will drop this company that doesn't represent me at all.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Warning do not get insurance through this company. My husband was in a wreck. The kid that T-boned him in an intersection had Allstate too. We were treated horribly during the month of getting our truck fixed. All they did was harass us because they (Allstate) could not get a hold of the body shop. Allstate would go back and forth on the rental we had at their expense. Worst experience we have ever had to go through. We are dropping Allstate.

Original review: July 2, 2017

I had been an Allstate customer for over 20 years. I hadn't use my insurance for an accident in years and then I had an accident. Allstate would not pay for "Chevy part" and nothing new because my car was a 2005 and was at that time was 7 years old. So, all parts were aftermarket. I had to get one new headlight because it was broken but the other one, which now looks terrible in comparison, is yellowed. The paint began peeling off of the plastic bumper within months, they were given a hood that was in worse shape than mine after the accident to fix and use on my car. I had a grill that was actually broken when they tried to return it to me. I've written letters to the higher ups at Allstate to no avail. They don't care. I keep my car in pristine shape and now after 1 accident it's lost most of its value because Allstate, after taking thousands of my dollars in premiums, refused to fix my car the right way.

I recommend that NO ONE use them for insurance. AND, their accident forgiveness is a joke, you have to pay for that. So not only did I get horrific service I then had to pay a considerable amount more. I went shopping around for insurance and found one that was 1/3 the amount Allstate was charging me for the same coverage, I gave them my Allstate policy to quote from. So now I've been ripped off by the company, I have a car that is worth far less than it would be because of the horrible repair job and when I cancelled my insurance they cancelled it a month early so they caused me all kinds of problems with the State because it looked like I was uninsured for a month. It took them 6 weeks (at least) to fix that.

I've seen others have significant problems with Allstate so I wanted to make sure I put my review in. I tried to go through the Better Business Bureau but only with the last problem with the state, I should have done it when I had the accident. BBB is the only reason, I believe, that I got the insurance issue with the state fixed as soon as it did. Terrible company, terrible customer service. Terrible pricing, even after you've been a customer for over 20 years. TERRIBLY DISAPPOINTED.

Original review: June 29, 2017

ALLSTATE is garbage... Their customer totaled my truck and after fighting with them for 2 weeks they finally got us a rental "car" for only 1 week. 5 weeks later we still haven't received payment for the damage and I'm still losing money everyday dealing with doctors. Still unable to work because of my injuries and they aren't gonna settle up with anything until I've finished all treatments. I'm a single parent and this has been more than I can stand. #allstate #NotInGoodHands

Original review: June 29, 2017

Allstate Auto Insurance has a new model for appraising wrecked cars w/ only photos and it sucks!!! The process is frustrating for the insured as well as the body shop. It takes weeks to get an appraiser to come out for supplements. Allstate sales reps are the best, but they do not control the portion after the accident.

Original review: June 28, 2017

This information is current as of June 28, 2017. I had an auto accident on May 24, 2017 which included property damage. The vehicle is leased. Problems with the vehicle claim. The original estimate from the Allstate claims adjuster was 11K+. The collision shop found substantially more damage and the vehicle was declared totaled.

In attempting to get the status of the payment to the leasing company from Allstate, first they said a photocopy of the check was received by the claims department on June 12 and sent to the leasing company; then the date was changed to June 15. Then the story became the check was issued on June 20, cancelled the same day (but they didn’t know why) and then reissued. However, they were unable to confirm the check was sent to the leasing company because someone neglected to assign a tracking number to the check, something which they normally do. So more than a month since the accident, the location of the check is unknown. Would they except this story from me if it was my premium payment we were discussing?

Problems with the property damage. There was damage to three garages. A contractor examined and gave estimates for each garage, plus the owners submitted additional damages for items which were in the garages. All three estimates were submitted to Allstate who approved the work be done. Here is where it gets interesting: because it is a condo development, all units have to look uniform, so I requested the payment be made to the condo association so the manager could oversee the work and provide payment to the contractor. Big mistake - now Allstate informs me that since only one check will be written to the condo association, it now falls under a large claim category instead of three small claims, even though the amounts have not changed.

They call the condo manager (instead of me) and tell him they now have to schedule an inspection of the damage. Their inspector comes out, his estimate comes within $15 dollars of the contractor’s estimate. Sounds good, right? No, not good - I was then informed that Allstate would not pay the full amount , but would deduct depreciation due to the age of the garages. This was not mentioned when they had approved the total amount of the three individual claims. And what are they depreciating - the lumber, the nails? They are repairing the garages, not replacing them.

I will add here that the total damages were less than 9K, my policy ‘says’ I’m covered for 100K, but Allstate will pay $2200+ less than the amounts agreed upon by the contractor and their inspector. My local agent suggested that I tell the three garage owners to contact their insurance companies and submit claims to cover the difference. Why? They had nothing to do with it. Should they have to go through the process and risk a possible increase in their rates? That does not sound right to me. I have written a check to cover the amount Allstate refuses to pay. I have written a letter describing everything to the CEO of Allstate, with copies to the Regional Manager of Allstate and the Ohio Department of Insurance. I will submit an update to ConsumerAffairs.com when all is settled.

Original review: June 26, 2017

Allstate Insurance called me the day after I was rear-ended by their customer and told me they assumed all responsibility. Now, with the 2 year deadline looming, they are refusing to pay over $5,000 in medical expenses incurred the day of the accident. This is to EMS for the ambulance and to the ER for the CT scan and treatment. I have filed complaints with the dept of insurance but nothing seems to motivate them to pay up.

Original review: June 25, 2017

Received a call out of the blue from an agent (Mary **) in the Benton/Malvern area who was my agent with another company several years ago 4-5, and asked if I would like a quote from her new company Allstate. I said sure, she emailed me a quote on my vehicles and property, that was at least 3-4 mos ago, and got a letter of decline due to so called credit history. So I called her about the fact I never gave her permission to do a credit check nor did she disclose that info either... She was rather rude, acted like she did not know who I was, and said that if I was her client from years earlier she had all of my info including my social security number and could check it anytime she wanted. SHADY, UNPROFESSIONAL, RUDE. Allstate if this is the level of persons that represent your company... Shame on you!!!

Original review: June 23, 2017

I was forced by the circumstances to buy insurance from Allstate. I bought a new car and I couldn't get in contact with my old insurance at the time of the purchase. Allstate charged me 200 hundred dollars for two months, before they came up with a quote. Then they charged me for $184 dollars a month and started charging this amount right away. I was totally confused. I was not explained by them that I was not able to cancel the policy as they required 10% from the overall annual premium. My old insurance offered a more economical quote. They offered to charge $230.00 dollars monthly for my three cars. I feel the consumers are stuck with companies that only want your money. Who defends the consumers from these money hungry insurance companies. What are my rights? I feel I don't have any rights even when the insurance company takes my money that I earn by working very hard.

Original review: June 20, 2017

So help me understand how someone hitting my car as I was making a left hand turn on a two way street partially my fault??? The impatient driver behind me is trying to pass me on the left instead of the right so they jump into oncoming traffic as I am making a left turn again on a two-way street but this is partially my fault. And to add insult to injury you file a claim on my insurance with the wrong vehicle information so the quote you gave me was low balled, and with all the branches you have here locally why do I have to deal with someone in San Antonio Texas??? Who working claims kids or adults. The slogan... "You're in good hands with Allstate Insurance" is some major BS.

Original review: June 20, 2017

Funny the only insurance that couldn't give me a quote is your company? Why because I'm not rich and had a few tickets? I find it funny you all display "accident forgiveness" but larger name brand insurance companies could give me a quote but you cannot? I'm absolutely baffled and now I know why I have never tried your insurance. Horrible.

Original review: June 19, 2017

The data claims there are incidents when there are none when you review your data. They will not tell you how they calculate the discount. They told me if I added more drivers to the Drivewise app, that the discount would be larger. I added my 2 sons and the discount was less than half than it was when I did it by myself, even though the percentage was twice as much that I should be expecting, according to the app. Customer service is a joke. They told my agent they know that there is an issue with the data, but since it is a discount, they are not working very hard to fix it. Allstate's rates are on the high side, but this was supposed to bring it back in line. I have been with them for 32 years and I am considering changing companies because of this stupid app.

Original review: June 16, 2017

On March 15, 2017, Allstate insured motorist backed into my auto on school property. The police report shows that the driver backing out of parking place was at fault. Allstate only approve 80 percent of damage to my car. The student driver of the Allstate stated, "I did not look." Allstate made their proposal before they retained a copy of police report. I sent them the report, but this made no difference to the adjuster. This company is the WORST insurance company that I have dealt with. I would give them a minus 5 stars if possible.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I paid my car insurance in full one day late and they charging me $93.00 for the one day. The agent Teri cannot do anything so why do I have an agent? DO NOT DEAL WITH EITHER. I am done. Been a loyal customer since the 80s. NO MORE!

Original review: June 9, 2017

A woman changed lanes without looking and drove into me. Allstate claims that I am partially responsible for the damage because I am not clairvoyant and did not predict that the woman would drive into me. They are saying that physics should cease to exist and my car should have stopped immediately after applying the brakes so that the damage did not cover the whole side of my car.

Allstate Auto Insurance Company Information