4.0/5 (376 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About AAA Auto Insurance

AAA provides automobile insurance to its members through 50+ regional branches nationwide. The company offers multiple coverage types, but its auto insurance is available only to paid AAA members. All AAA memberships come with several perks and discount opportunities, but coverage options differ by location.

Pros

• Well-established company
  • Several discount opportunities
  • Membership comes with other perks

Cons

• Must have an AAA membership
  • Coverage offerings differ by branch

Bottom Line

AAA has provided Americans with auto insurance for over a century and has more than 50 branches countrywide. Its auto coverage requires a paid AAA membership, which includes access to various perks and discounts.

Top AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Their customer service is top notch. I 'bundle' my auto and home insurance, and no matter what the claim is, someone is always available to help. I've been a customer for years, a...

Verified

AAA is awesome. The process of filing a claim is easy and the representative was very helpful. It was settled quickly and I was able to buy a new car within a few weeks. Also, the...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is AAA insurance?

AAA (the American Automobile Association) has been insuring Americans since 1902 and operates in more than 50 independent branches across the country. Since its inception, the company has been known for its automobile and driver safety services. Along with auto insurance, it provides homeowners, health and life coverage and more. It also offers insurance add-ons and policy bundles.

How does AAA auto insurance work?

To qualify for AAA auto insurance policies, you must be a AAA member. A membership also comes with perks like discounts on movies, hotels, rentals and more. Auto policy coverage and discount options vary slightly from branch to branch, but each AAA location offers all the standard coverage:

• Collision
  • Comprehensive
  • Liability
  • Medical payments
  • Personal injury protection
  • Underinsured motorist
  • Uninsured motorist

You can also add several coverage options to your policy. Your local branch could offer:

• Accident forgiveness
  • Custom electronics
  • Loan/lease payoff
  • New vehicle replacement
  • Pet coverage
  • Rental car reimbursement
  • Roadside assistance

You can also bundle home and auto policies to save more — depending on your location and insurer, you might be able to add life insurance to your bundle. Other insurance options some AAA clubs offer:

• Collector car
  • Renters
  • Pet
  • Travel
  • Umbrella

AAA auto insurance quotes and rates

AAA membership starts as low as $50 per year and increases depending on your location and selected services. Insurance rates also vary greatly person to person. Your AAA car insurance quote depends on various factors, such as age, location, driving history, credit score and more.

AAA also offers multiple discount possibilities. You could qualify for discounts like:

• Advanced purchase
  • Paid-in-full
  • Vehicle safety equipment
  • Theft recovery devices

AAA auto insurance FAQ

What does AAA auto insurance cover?
AAA offers a variety of coverage options, including collision, comprehensive, liability, rental car reimbursement and more.
What does AAA comprehensive coverage offer?
AAA’s comprehensive coverage pays for vehicle damages from disasters and mishaps like animal collisions, earthquakes, fallen objects and more, while the collision option covers damage if you’ve hit another object (car, mailbox, wall, etc.) or flipped over.
How much does AAA full coverage insurance cost?
Your AAA auto insurance costs depend on several factors, including your location. You have to be an AAA member to benefit from its insurance, so make sure to factor in membership costs ($50+ per year).
Can I cancel AAA auto insurance?
Yes. AAA offers a flexible cancellation policy, so you can cancel over the phone, by email or in person.

Is AAA a good car insurance?

AAA has been insuring American drivers for over a century. For some, it might not be worth it to pay a membership fee for car insurance — but AAA’s discounts and general benefits might balance out membership costs. Overall, AAA might not be the best choice for someone looking for bare-bones coverage, considering the added cost of a membership fee; however, if you want full coverage, policy bundle options and extra perks, AAA might meet your needs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

Original review: April 28, 2022

I think AAA auto insurance is depending exclusively on their historically "good" reputation to remain in business because their actual Claims process is absolutely horrendous! Yes, their roadside assistance is great, but if something should ever happen and you need to make a claim, you're left totally stranded. I have comprehensive insurance, and my catalytic converter was stolen from my vehicle overnight in February. It was a holiday so I wasn't able to call to start a claim until 2 days later. I wasn't even able to leave a message right when it happened.. Then, when I was finally assigned to a claims adjuster after calling again on the 3rd day, I have left calls, voicemails, sent emails, and even called the adjuster's direct supervisor multiple times with NO RESPONSE.

It is now early May and I have yet to get a single message or response telling me at what stage my claim is in. AAA auto insurance is automatically taking my automated monthly insurance payments, and yet it's almost a joke, because I wonder whether I would have been better off uninsured based off the level of communication or help I'm actually receiving. I even went into the local AAA insurance office in my area in person, to see if I could at least speak to a human instead of their terrible purgatory loop that is their automated robotic phone-system.. and the friendly local agent was unable to help me at all. Their best advice was to just continue to call and leave voicemails, and email my adjustor until I was able to reach someone. If I would have known AAA was going to be this unresponsive when I'm paying for appropriate coverage, I would never have signed on with them to begin with!

Original review: March 24, 2022

I switched from AAA insurance to another provider. They sent me 2 months' bills. As I did not recognize the debt, they sent me to collections. Seems likely the collection company belongs to AAA business.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2022

I have been insured for more than 60 years and Triple A is without a doubt the worse, most incompetent, lying, greedy company next to Farmers I have ever had the misfortune to come across. They cash your payments right enough, but you have to watch them, they will cancel your policy the next day and claim there is NO refund. You're just out. Want to bet. Contact your State Insurance commission and file a complaint. They went so far as to attach an unknown person to a policy and this policyholder paid someone else's insurance to the tune of $1300.00. No Refund? Huh.

They messed my insurance up so badly I ended up paying my vehicle off just to stop the play. Their statement is "well we did drop the ball on your account". More than once. Claimed the amount of insurance they provided on the truck greater than my $167.00 payment that I owed them money. Tell you folks, stay the hell away from them. I do not know who is running that outfit but they are crooked and they will ** you up royally. There is plenty more but not enough room to explain.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

AAA increased my annual premium by $319 a year after just one month on the plan -- and without giving me any notice. I only happened to catch it because I saw the cost of my next bill was significantly higher. I feel like AAA has a pretty stellar reputation, so I was shocked when this happened. When I cancelled my policy, I was hit with a huge fee as well, but I was so discouraged by this customer service experience that I just wanted out.

Resolution response: May 22, 2022

They never gave me the rental. I did end up talking to the adjustor one time. And had to fight him to get him to refund my deductible. He said by default he always marked people who had accidents in parking lots as at fault, even though the other driver clearly was. They also did not file the form with the DMV like they were supposed to and I got an angry letter from them that the form had not been done. Finally, the repair place recommended used high voc paint, and my car stink for 6 months.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

My vehicle was hit by a driver who was driving out of a space in December. He was at a fault. I reported the incident to AAA, and the initial contact person was kind. He gave me a list of repair places to get the vehicle fixed, and because it was late in December, I proceeded to go and get it dropped off. At the repair place they suggested I contact the adjustor to get a claim code for a rental, however, the adjuster did not call me back. I figured it was the holidays, and they would get back to me later. They never did. So no rental.

I tried calling just now, and when I try to leave a message, it just says GOODBYE and hangs up. AAA used to be good, so I am frustrated by this. I want to know what is going on with my claim. I wanted that Rental. The adjuster has never ever contacted me once. I did manage to reach him on the phone one time, to let him know I dropped it off at the repair place, but I dislike call Avoidant behavior, and AAA needs to respond to customers when they call. And fix whatever is wrong with their voicemail system.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

AAA used to be one of the best insurances in the east. Apparently they're not as customer friendly as they used to be. We had to get a new homeowners policy. The providers car insurance bundled rate were competitive with AAA, our current provider. We were on the auto pay program and they got their premium every single month on time. Because we had to cancel, they billed us an $88 early termination fee. I thought auto pay made sure they got their money but I guess they want to hit you one more tine before you leave: or as I call it, "burning your bridge behind you."

The money wasn't the issue. The reason I am warning new customers is being on auto pay we thought all was well. Not so! they sent one bill and apparently the bill states that if not paid in ten days you will go to collections. We never received a bill. However, true to their word, we were sent to collections maybe ten days later. Don't know. But we're there. Funny, I get tons of emails from AAA, monthly ads, etc. but just one bill notice. Now that's customer service. Thanks AAA and good riddance!!!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

On July 8, I was hit by a person insured with a AAA insurance company. I then turned in a claim. My Car was inspected quickly by 3rd party. There was no contact from insurance adjuster until Sep 1, which I was informed that my car would be repaired with a list of required parameters. Due to no contact and required parameters from the insurance I insisted on a check for the claim. Since Sep 12, until now Dec 13, when I inquire about a payout I get, "The check is in the mail." Not being able to use my car for almost six months is unfounded. A disconnect from the Insurance company and the customer or claim is clear. Looks like it time to get a Attorney especially since my state allows attorney fees to be added to claim.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I was told it would be a 2 hour wait but when I called back to say my phone would be dead he told me it would another hour! All I needed was my tires I supposed to run my car for 3 hours or more because it's freezing outside. Guess that's why the membership was cheap. This service just saddens me. I have yet to make it home.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Been with them over 50 years, 3 great agents. Available, take quick care of problems and needs. Stand behind their work. Use for both of our houses, in two different states, 2 cars and one truck. Not the cheapest, but definitely top notch service. Have recommended to many that had the cheap experience.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

My advice is to buy insurance from anywhere but here. I paid my bill on time for 2 years without any issues. My address has always been the same. I never made a claim until now and all of a sudden my account was cancelled. They couldn’t explain how all of a sudden they couldn’t collect payment from my bank that has maintained a balance of $$20k since mid 2000s. They couldn’t explain how all of a sudden my address was changed and they couldn’t inform of the cancellation or missed pay, late payment or anything, nor could they explain why I never received an email or phone when all my info has been the same. They also couldn’t explain how last week I received mail from trying to sell me more insurance but all of a sudden my account was cancelled. Don’t buy into this insurance skeet. You will payout a lot of money just to be Left with no coverage.

AAA Auto Insurance Company Information