2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

4.0/5 (1510 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About AAA Auto Insurance

AAA provides automobile insurance to its members through 50+ regional branches nationwide. The company offers multiple coverage types, but its auto insurance is available only to paid AAA members. All AAA memberships come with several perks and discount opportunities, but coverage options differ by location.

Pros

• Well-established company
  • Several discount opportunities
  • Membership comes with other perks

Cons

• Must have an AAA membership
  • Coverage offerings differ by branch

Bottom Line

AAA has provided Americans with auto insurance for over a century and has more than 50 branches countrywide. Its auto coverage requires a paid AAA membership, which includes access to various perks and discounts.

Top AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Their customer service is top notch. I 'bundle' my auto and home insurance, and no matter what the claim is, someone is always available to help. I've been a customer for years, a...

Verified

AAA is awesome. The process of filing a claim is easy and the representative was very helpful. It was settled quickly and I was able to buy a new car within a few weeks. Also, the...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is AAA insurance?

AAA (the American Automobile Association) has been insuring Americans since 1902 and operates in more than 50 independent branches across the country. Since its inception, the company has been known for its automobile and driver safety services. Along with auto insurance, it provides homeowners, health and life coverage and more. It also offers insurance add-ons and policy bundles.

How does AAA auto insurance work?

To qualify for AAA auto insurance policies, you must be a AAA member. A membership also comes with perks like discounts on movies, hotels, rentals and more. Auto policy coverage and discount options vary slightly from branch to branch, but each AAA location offers all the standard coverage:

• Collision
  • Comprehensive
  • Liability
  • Medical payments
  • Personal injury protection
  • Underinsured motorist
  • Uninsured motorist

You can also add several coverage options to your policy. Your local branch could offer:

• Accident forgiveness
  • Custom electronics
  • Loan/lease payoff
  • New vehicle replacement
  • Pet coverage
  • Rental car reimbursement
  • Roadside assistance

You can also bundle home and auto policies to save more — depending on your location and insurer, you might be able to add life insurance to your bundle. Other insurance options some AAA clubs offer:

• Collector car
  • Renters
  • Pet
  • Travel
  • Umbrella

AAA auto insurance quotes and rates

AAA membership starts as low as $50 per year and increases depending on your location and selected services. Insurance rates also vary greatly person to person. Your AAA car insurance quote depends on various factors, such as age, location, driving history, credit score and more.

AAA also offers multiple discount possibilities. You could qualify for discounts like:

• Advanced purchase
  • Paid-in-full
  • Vehicle safety equipment
  • Theft recovery devices

AAA auto insurance FAQ

What does AAA auto insurance cover?
AAA offers a variety of coverage options, including collision, comprehensive, liability, rental car reimbursement and more.
What does AAA comprehensive coverage offer?
AAA’s comprehensive coverage pays for vehicle damages from disasters and mishaps like animal collisions, earthquakes, fallen objects and more, while the collision option covers damage if you’ve hit another object (car, mailbox, wall, etc.) or flipped over.
How much does AAA full coverage insurance cost?
Your AAA auto insurance costs depend on several factors, including your location. You have to be an AAA member to benefit from its insurance, so make sure to factor in membership costs ($50+ per year).
Can I cancel AAA auto insurance?
Yes. AAA offers a flexible cancellation policy, so you can cancel over the phone, by email or in person.

Is AAA a good car insurance?

AAA has been insuring American drivers for over a century. For some, it might not be worth it to pay a membership fee for car insurance — but AAA’s discounts and general benefits might balance out membership costs. Overall, AAA might not be the best choice for someone looking for bare-bones coverage, considering the added cost of a membership fee; however, if you want full coverage, policy bundle options and extra perks, AAA might meet your needs.

AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

Original review: July 11, 2021

Voha M did a great job loading up and unloading my car. He was very polite! He took my car down the street not even 2 miles from my house where I was able to have my tire put on. He offered to change it for me and ask if there was anything else he could help me with! 10/10 recommended!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

AAA is an interactive company that has various insurance products. I have been with them since 2009. The rates were vey good until I had my first "chargeable" accident earlier this year. My limits were decreased and my premium doubled at the last renewal date in May. It was a financial struggle on my fixed income but I paid it. I just received my November renewal and my premium went up another $150, I can't afford to renew with them after being a customer for 11 years. It seems they are affordable until you have to file a claim with them.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Recently switched to AAA so I do not have much to say about their services at this time. I did like the representative that signed me up for both home and car insurance and for the higher limits on the cars their prices were more reasonable by approximately $400 a year over the company I had for 2 prior years. To this date at age 77 I have ever had a chargeable accident or violation ticket. I do believe all these years of driving with a clean record should be considered by any insurance company. I like also that AAA has local agents and service centers.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

We have had AAA for over 20 years and just recently changed due to AAA being so expensive in Arizona for our home. But I was in two accidents while we were with AAA in California and they took care of everything for us. I never had to deal with the medical, and I was life flighted out of one location to a hospital. They handled every aspect of dealing with the other vehicles involved, I would highly recommend this company. Now when it comes to Progressive RUN RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN BECAUSE WHEN IT COMES TIME TO FILE A CLAIM THEY WILL NOT WORK WITH YOU FAIRLY.

Original review: July 6, 2021

AAA canceled my auto insurance for no given reason and never notified me (after I submitted my payment through their online portal on time and received a confirmation receipt of my payment). They were quick to blame USPS for me not receiving notice rather than taking responsibility on their end. I was told that during the pandemic this has been a common complaint from their customers - that often people were not receiving their notices until 6 months after they were mailed.

While AAA seemed to be aware that there is a problem with this, they have been unwilling to find other means of communicating with their customers. I was told that I was responsible for my lack of awareness that I was driving uninsured (even though I submitted all my payments on time) and that my insurance rate would double as a result because I was unknowingly driving uninsured. No apologies and no willingness to take any sort of responsibility. I have switched to State Farm as a result and will not return to AAA for any sort of insurance policy in the future. Please spare yourself your time, money, and liability issues and avoid AAA at all costs.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Switched over to AAA after hearing some good things about them from a friend. When switching over I told the sales rep to mimic my old policy as I wanted the same coverage. He had access to my old policy and assured me I would be getting just that. We agreed to only switch the deductible for full coverage. Later that year I was unfortunately involved in an accident and was seeking their assistance when I find out that the agent sold me whatever he wanted and not what was promised to me. Now they are refusing to cover me per the coverage I was told I would get when I switched over. In other words do not trust this company as they are deceptive and deceiving and lie.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I have always been on a 10 month plan until recently. It went to a monthly plan. When I switched it giving the customer service my story, he told me they can switched but I must make my June 14TH payment. I paid my June payment so switching the payment plan. Now I have to pay my car insurance again on the 24TH of June, which I explain to the female customer service that I am a disabled veteran and get paid once a month. For one month, I have paid over $400. I barely have enough to buy food for my fur babies and myself. Seriously, I never had this difficulty with you all. I have been a loyal member and customer 16 years. This is how you treat your members. I paid $300 on 29TH of May for May and June. I am very disappointed how I am being treated.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I have purchased auto and homeowners insurance from AAA Alabama for 5 years. Both insurance policies continued to rise even though no claims had been filed. Upon asking my agent in particular about my homeowner's rates rising drastically, I was told my rating was the issue. In 2020, I let this slide since I had little time to research other companies. Forward to 2021, yet another over $300 increase with zero claims. My response again was my rating. Upon inquiring about this “rating” it was stated that it was from Lexus/Nexus so I asked for info and was provided nothing. I reached out to another company for quotes and asked they pay close attention to this rating info. My rating was excellent and I accepted those quotes to replace my AAA coverage with better coverage at a lesser price.

I notified my AAA agent and the regional manager to cancel my renewals at the end of my cycle and requested a received email back for them noting my request. The regional manager responded that it would be taken care of. Today, I noticed a withdrawal from my account for AAA insurance… Luckily I pulled up my email received from the regional manager and replied to all (including her manager) asking why were they deducting $ for policies no longer applicable with AAA. Responder: the rep did not close the accounts. Seriously??? Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Even though good insurance, it appears it’s all about the $ and not the quality of service OR communication.

Original review: May 20, 2021

My daughter was involved in an accident which was the other party's fault. The other party had AAA insurance and it took a very long over a week to get in touch with them. Once I did, the process was extremely slow to get answers, other than they were quick to provide a rental. The rental was a POS, and had so many restrictions due to my daughter not being 21. They said they would have an adjuster go look at the vehicle and asked where it was so they could look at it. I waited for almost a week and did not hear from the contact. I called back and he asked a couple questions and declared the vehicle a total loss and would get with the adjuster to give us a valuation. Again, almost a week went by and the guy I have been speaking with says he is the adjuster!

Next day he contacts me with a valuation and it is so low. In the current car market, the valuation is over $2000 below what I could replace the car with, finding a car with 15,000 more miles and less upgrades! He said to send the receipts for the upgrades that were done on the vehicle. I had almost $2000 in upgrades done within the last 2 years and they only upped the value $316, and it took him a week to get back with me on that.

I spoke with my attorney who deals in these cases and his first question is "who is your insurance?" And then he asked who is their insurance? I told him AAA. His advice was to use my insurance as I was with what he called "Tier 1, major carrier" and AAA was in what he called "The others". This attorney who deals with this sort of stuff all the time, said this was normal for sub tier 1 providers to provide bad service and low valuations. Said my insurance would be better and they would go to arbitration with AAA over the claims. Unfortunately, this is the 5th accident involving a member of my family, where the other party's insurance was in this sub tier 1 and every time, I have had to use my insurance for resolution. I hoped this time it would be different....guess not.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I was rear-ended at a stoplight on April 23, 2021. The person that hit me had AAA auto insurance. The evening of the accident AAA contacted me with the name and phone number of an adjuster that would reach out to me within the next 48 hours. As of today May 11, 2021 I have never heard from or seen that adjuster. I have called and left multiple messages with no response. After multiple attempts to reach someone within AAA I received a call from a supervisor. This supervisor was rude, condescending and unprofessional. I was told directly that I could not take my new car back to the dealership for repairs and if I did AAA would not pay for the repairs. I was told that my car would not be fixed with original parts and I had to take my car to a specific body shop of their choice.

I continued to have questions and concerns that were unanswered due to no specific callback phone number. Every AAA phone number that I googled or called routed me to roadside service or the purchase of insurance. When I finally reached a live person they would tell me I had the wrong department, extension or the wrong state for AAA auto insurance. It was impossible to get in contact with the actual department I needed to speak with all my questions and concerns. I even tried to contact the AAA corporate office to file a formal complaint, but only got an automated system asking if I needed roadside service. This entire process was horrendous. No one should have to go through this type of process just to get their car repaired by AAA auto insurance.

AAA Auto Insurance Company Information