AAA Auto Insurance

1,931people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with AAA Auto Insurance:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

Service-premium value. I have been a member since 1995. Their DMV service is outstanding. The knowledge and help from the Clovis Ca employees is excellent. When a tow is needed, they send highly qualified companies in a timely fashion. The annual premium is a bargain for the benefits you receive.

Would give negative stars if possible. Signed up for roadside assistance and couldn't resist the low auto insurance premiums. What a mistake! I have always paid my bill on time and have not had any claims. My insurance was cancelled without my knowledge! In my state it is illegal to have a vehicle registered without insurance to the tune of $150/vehicle for the first 30 days. I found out about the cancellation when I called in to see what my bill was and when it would be due as I hadn't seen one in a while. I was informed of the cancellation and asked them to rectify it.

Other insurance companies will cover insurance lapses of up to 5 days -- not AAA! My "lapse" (unknown cancellation) was 4 days. I received a bill for $300 because of this. I was not called or emailed and received nothing in the mail notifying me there was a problem. I called in of my own accord and this is the only way I knew. "Samantha" was incompetent and could not even tell me the correct amount owed on my bill; she had to call me back to correctly charge my card. I am reporting this to the Insurance Administration.

On a side note: this company is archaic. There's no digital presence or way to maintain your account on the Internet (they say they're working on it -- but it's 2016!). Also their phone trees do not function well and boot me off constantly even during business hours. They do not communicate via email or text. An update is overdue! The auto club (roadside assistance) is unnecessary if you can change your own tire and carry jumper cables. Hopefully you do not need to be towed that often.

When I bought a 2008 Honda Odyssey from Crown Motors, I had to get insurance to get the title and drive the car off the lot. We called AAA and they gave us a quote which was reasonable, so we figured we could afford this vehicle and continued with the loan and car buying process. Once the car was purchase we waited for the payment to be withdrawn from my bank account. It didn't happen when it normally does. We called and asked what happened. They then said our insurance was changed and the date will change, then we asked again what was the payment. It was $50 more than what they quoted.

1 month later the Bank sent us a letter stating that they aren't on the insurance as Lien holders and the insurance isn't good enough. It has more than a $1000 deductible. We called and asked what is going on. We never asked for such a high deductible. They said we must have asked for a low payment. So they put us on the $2000 deductible. To bring the deductible down to $500 it is an additional $47. Considering all of this we probably would have looked for a different vehicle or tried to negotiate a better price. The false info and unauthorized deductible AAA gave us for our policy has not only cost us more per month but falsely led us to believe we can afford a car that we can't.

NEVER TRUST ANYONE AT AAA. They said they can't do anything for us. Pretty much they told us sorry for your luck!!! If you use AAA get everything in writing, but I recommend anyone before AAA!!! Even our agent doesn't call us back when we needed a question answered. They don't care about their customers, just the bottom line... Profits.

I was in an accident on August 17th, 2016 with someone who had AAA insurance and it was his fault because he came out of a parking lot and hit me on a main road. His insurance company took 2 days to even call me and get my statement. When they finally admitted fault they said they wouldn't pay for the rental I had. Trying to get a hold of someone is like pulling teeth with them!! I called probably over 20 times and left several messages and they never call back. This is the WORST insurance company I've ever dealt with! I wish I didn't have to even give them one star. Good luck if you ever have to deal with them.

AAA is the worst!! I got a flat and had my car towed by a AAA tow service. The tow driver damaged my brake line so I filed a damage claim with AAA. When it happened they told me there was nothing they could do to help me outside of my AAA plan (even though their tow driver damaged my car and left me stranded hours from home until my car could be repaired).

After the repair, I spent a month and a half calling AAA every week to check on the claim. Each time I was told the person handling my case was at lunch, or out of the office until next week, or would call me back tomorrow. Never happened. Finally, weeks later I was told that coincidences happen and it was just a coincidence my brake line was damaged after the tow and they would not be reimbursing the claim. I feel robbed. Aside from the "coincidence", the customer service was terrible and the lack of communication was infuriating. I would never recommend AAA to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Just FYI. Do not go to AAA car insurance. They took my $$ and then I got my policy. In that same mail I got a decline due to my driving record. Funny my agent didn't see any reason to decline me. Ok so I went back to Allstate and filled out the refund of $195. Nothing happened and today they took another $195. Thankfully I used a credit card and I called them to dispute... $ will be refunded in 24 hrs. ** AAA.

Joined the club end of 2015. First premium after signing up was automatically withdrawn without my authorization. Transaction was reversed by bank due to AAA inability to produce documents allowing the auto withdrawal. I called a week later to manually make the payment and was told by multiple reps there was no balance owed. A few more attempts were made to no avail.

TWO ALMOST THREE MONTHS LATER this payment shows up in AAA system. No one contacts me about this payment or sends any letters but rather they add it to my premium causing it to double, every month, not just one month as it should have been. And they claim that I have missed a payment instead of what it truly is: their system catching up to reflect the unauthorized payment. I've missed no premiums.

Spoke to Miranda on the business side, totally incompetent and doesn't listen. She keeps telling me I can make partial payments and other options which she has no authority to approve or ensure happens. I've been trying to make a payment for a week now and AAA refuses to take it. Miranda says yesterday I'm good to go, tried again still rejected. I was told by other agents the account was flagged for some reason. Miranda was supposed to send proof of authority then she said she had to wait for legal to approve the release of a document that I have a right to have. Oh and they threaten to cancel my policy each month because of their error.

I locked my keys in the trunk of my motorcycle when I was leaving the grocery store. No problem, I have AAA and towing service as well as Lost key protection. Had it for YEARS! So I called AAA and found out that although my bike is covered, they would not come and rescue me. I am now looking for another company. Firing AAA really hurts me, after being a customer for so long, but how could they not help me? I called a locksmith who was a contractor for AAA. He came out and fabricated a key for me. I would love to supply photos, but my keys, purse, phone, driver license, money, etc., were all locked up inside the trunk. If an order number was supplied at the times that I called (more than once) I could not write it down because pens and pads were inside my purse.

AAA is the worst insurance company. I had an accident on 07/30/16. My car was salvaged. Having a full coverage they even denied me the rental car. They only cover for parked cars not for the moving cars. Be careful before going for AAA.

On Aug.1, 2016 the rear tire on my Mercury sedan went flat while traveling on US1 in Miami Florida. By the time I pulled off the highway into a shopping center the tire was completely flat and I was driving on the rim. I immediately picked up my cell and called AAA Roadside Service for help. It was 10:46 PM on a Monday night and they answered after a short wait. I was told that they were busy and it would take about 40 minutes before a service truck would arrive. I received a call back about ten minutes later verifying my location and a 40 minute wait for service. I mentioned that the shopping center had closed down and there was only one store still open.

At about 12:45 PM a small van with the AAA logo appeared. It was now raining. I opened the trunk for access to the spare tire. Due to a previous injury, I am unable to lift or remove tires. The technician went to work with a large screwdriver, trying to dislodge the hub cap that covers the wheel lug nuts. After he struggled unsuccessfully for several minutes, I dug into my trunk to find a tool made for prying off caps. I took a while but I found the tool and removed the cap myself. I cannot believe how ill-equipped this service person was. He quickly changed the tire and placed the flat tire in my trunk, but did not put it back where it belonged. In addition he lost some of the hardware used to lock the tire down in place. I did not get home until 2:00 AM Tuesday. I am very disgusted with the extreme wait and the poor service delivered to me. AAA is going downhill fast.

An AAA auto insured driver struck and damaged my SUV. After a couple of days they did admit liability. It took too long for their estimator to look at my vehicle and then it took him too long to get his estimate done. His was a few hundred dollars less than the one my body shop did. His reason was the difference in OEM and aftermarket parts. Well AAA my car had oem bumper and fender on it when your client damaged it. I should be able to get OEM parts put on it. I expressed my dissatisfaction and told them I would disseminate bad reviews everywhere I could. My claim adjuster is Wilnette ** and the estimator in Salt Lake is Stephen.

On my way home from work July 20, 2016 I was hit in the side by a young girl pulling out of a parking lot. By the time I could get my car moved out of the road she had already contacted the police. She told them exactly what happened. That night she filed a claim with AAA. Now 2 weeks later and 4 unanswered phone calls I still wait. My insurance company is State Farm. They are even trying to reach them and no response. AAA Insurance is the pits!!! I have a membership with them but it might be time to depart. Don't want to have any part of them. Their claims service rep is Steven **. What a joke!!! I gave them 1 star because it made me. I would actually give them 0 if I could...

My car broke down in another city, about 3 hours from home, on a Sunday. I called AAA and they found one shop that was open but it was 13 miles away so it would be a $40 surcharge for the tow. I agreed, what else could I do? But when I got there, I found that while the garage was technically open, it was just the oil change guy. There wasn't any mechanic available that day who could actually look at my car. I never would have agreed to pay $40 to have the car towed there if I had known that. Not renewing my AAA membership next year.

Re: Auto accident May 2013. "A driver traveling at a high rate of speed, passed me on my right, cut me off and slammed on their breaks and I rear ended them". I only remember bits and pieces after the accident. The other driver sped away, and then a police officer came to my window and told me there was an ambulance on its way and that is the last thing I remember. Result: My SUV was totaled, I got whiplash and a Traumatic Brain Injury. It has been one nightmare after another. You can read more about it at **.

A friend's home's sanitary drain tile collapsed in their basement. She was very upset, and I informed her that this is a covered loss. AAA will pay for opening up the basement floor and closing the basement floor. But not the repair. Auto Owner's policy covered this for a rental property I had 8 years ago. However, I just learned (AAA informed me) that 2 years ago they dropped this from coverage their policies. Not even my AAA Preferred Policy (a policy I kept after purchasing my 1st home in 1989) covers that. It is now an add on to my policy. Looks like I am going to shop for new insurance to replace the $6,000+ I pay annually now. After being a policy holder since 1985... it is time to move on. Thanks AAA for your new deceptive policies. My eyes are wide open.

I have bad experience with AAA, after having minor scratch and misalignment of the bumper. I asked for claim - they made me to go to a body shop where they did the billing just near the deductible. There were many unnecessary changes done for me to exceed my deductible. It looked very fishy and unreasonable.

I felt very confident that the AAA Roadside Assistance coverage would provide the best customer service, and was very disappointed after calling in. I selected the option that I needed Roadside Assistance and was put on hold. I believe AAA should have enough customer service support to help those needing immediate assistance.

While looking for other insurance companies due to AAA increasing my prices constantly, I found out that AAA raised my insurance because of a point on my license that should not be there. When I called the DMV, they said that AAA never should have increased my insurance because the ticket that was removed from my record by the court. The DMV advised me to do a 3 way call or get the accurate DMV report for $9.00 and have AAA reimburse me for it since it is their mistake.

When I called my agent, Cynthia **, she confirmed that not only did they have the inaccurate information but that they had jacked up my rates for two years because of it. She accepted no responsibility for her company's mistake but instead blamed me and the DMV. She said now it's been too long and she can't do anything about it. She refused to take it off of my information because it "was too long ago and doesn't matter anyway". I think two years of overcharging me because of their mistake does matter!!!

I was hit on the front end of my car by an individual, in a modified Chevy 350 truck, that was behind me, but recklessly attempted to pass me on a two lane city street at a ridiculously excessive/reckless and unlawful speed. The truck not only hit but then literally ran over my left front end. This person was/is insured by AAA insurance. My car was moving at approximately 10-15 mph. I have witnesses plus a video recording. The driver who hit me immediately provided me his details without hesitation and did not ask for mine. He apologized repeatedly telling me it was his fault. We immediately reported the accident to my insurance and also to AAA, his insurance. We provided all the required information and video recording.

It took AAA over two weeks to complete their “investigation” never responding to my calls or the calls from my insurance company. On the 15th day after the accident, AAA finally contacted me to inform me that their insured was not at fault and immediately denied all liability. We were speechless and stunned by their gross negligence and abysmal review process. My insurance company was also baffled by their decision. I shall certainly never use AAA and I would advise everyone to avoid them. There is no point in having insurance if the providers behave like this. We are now looking into taking legal action against AAA.

I had a terrible experience with AAA. Usually I wait about an hour max for somebody to come and jump start my car or fix the problem. I was driving in Washington, DC when my gear shift got stuck while trying to put it in park. I then shut the car off, not knowing that you cannot do that when not in park, and the key got stuck in the ignition with the car's battery on. This occurred at 8:00 p.m. I called AAA, told them my address, told them the problem and they told me that in about an hour, somebody would come to help.

An hour later, they call back saying that it might take about 40 more minutes for somebody to come. I say ok, 1 hour and 40 minutes is fine. 1 hour later I call back and ask if anybody is coming and where they are. AAA tells me that somebody will be there in 20 minutes. After 30 minutes I call back and ask again. Somebody tells me that it will be 20 minutes more until somebody comes. At this point, I start to lose it. I had been stranded in DC on the side of the road for hours in 80+ degree weather while my car remained unlocked, with the key inside the ignition and the battery running. After two more phone calls where I am told '20 minutes' and wait 30 minutes and nobody comes, I call back and am finally told that nobody can come for another hour and fifteen minutes (aka nobody is coming until 12:30 a.m.).

At that point, when you're telling a young woman that she has to wait in DC on the side of a road until well after midnight for somebody to come, it's just terrible service and an incredibly irresponsible way to run your business. Had AAA told me in the beginning that nobody could make it to me until after midnight, I would have paid for somebody else to come and tow my car. It is absolutely ridiculous to continuously tell your client (a gold member too; so don't waste your time paying extra for that) that somebody will be there in 20 minutes when in actuality it is going to take hours. Had I known, I would not have used AAA. I would not have waited on the side of a road in DC for somebody who was never actually on their way. And I wouldn't have put myself in danger by being stranded in DC late at night.

Finally, my male friend arrived and talked on the phone and a tow truck came 30 minutes later (also highly questionable that when a male talks to AAA, they get service). Then there was a whole debacle on whether AAA sent the correct tow truck because they hadn't told the truck that my car was 4-wheel drive. All in all he towed my car away regardless (probably because it was past midnight at this point) and the time that it took to fix my car at the shop the next day was much shorter than the time that it took anyone at AAA to do their job.

I have premium membership for myself as well as my children. On 5.14.2016 AAA was contacted by my son due to flat tire during prob. AAA could not provide him with air, nor a jack nor even show up after three calls. On 7.12.16 AAA refused to tow my Corvette on a flatbed due to a modification loophole. Really?! I think more people should be aware that even with three premium memberships AAA cannot provide satisfactory service due to lack of air (seriously) or loopholes in contract provision. Canceling service.

When I bought my car in Ft. Worth, Texas I automatically went with AAA Insurance, having been covered in another state through them for 7 years. However, over the following week I discovered that their coverage cost nearly twice as much as other carriers (for the exact same coverage!), so after 10 days I cancelled the AAA insurance. I was told that I would need to pay $284.00, which is 11% of the annual premium!! Despite the fact that I was not informed of this during my initial phone conversation with agent Melvin **, nor was it in the subsequent mailed contract that I received, I pursued the issue. I was given the name of Melvin's supervisor, Matthew **, and called him a total of 7 times over the following 3 weeks, leaving messages every time. I never received a callback. Shame on you, Matthew ** and Triple AAA Texas!

I was rear ended by someone with valid AAA insurance. My car was stationary at a stop light. I have four witnesses. The driver who hit me offered her details without hesitation and did not ask for mine - clearly she knew she was in the wrong. As soon as they were contacted with the estimate for my repair, AAA immediately denied all liability. I am stunned by this gross abdication of responsibility. I shall certainly never use an AAA product myself and I would advise everyone to avoid them. There is no point in having insurance if the providers behave like this. I hope a regulator sees this review.

I had a flat on inside rear of my motor home in the middle of Iowa. Called AAA, was told by the dispatcher I would need my MH towed! All I needed was tire changed. Put on hold 30 min then hung up on. Called back, was told no tow truck was available. Again explained I didn't need a tow. Put on hold again. Then hung up on again. After 8 hours tow truck showed up and changed the tire. The Dispatcher was Extremely rude. And unprofessional!!!

We decided to file a legal BBB and Consumers affair claim against Triple A because of their biased decision and misleading information. We have read so many negative feedback about Triple A. Rest assured; those are not written for fun. Those feedback are real like our feedback. We had an accident at no fault on 7.22.2015 when our car was parked properly and Triple A Insured driver hit our car from behind. We called AAA adjuster Michael ** who was initially very rude and told us he wouldn't help because their insured driver hit 4 other cars in the same accident. Why they didn't give priority to our car about a yearlong?

We called his manager Cathy **. She was less offensive than Michael and tried to pretend to help. AAA own estimate for our damage was $1823. 12 months have passed. We have received Nothing. If we let another 8 months, the case will drop. We have called Kathy ** several times and leave messages after messages to her voice mail and we got hardly a few calls back from her. She is always telling misleading information that they are still waiting to settle down other cars. We are receiving every month a letter from Michael ** that he and Cathy ** still trying to settle with other cars insurance.

We are expecting an immediate apology from Triple A President Marshall L. Doney or we will reach him somehow and inform him about this scam. Lately they have sent an agreement that if we had signed a release that we won't claim anything against their insured, they would reward us $439 that is almost of our damage loss. We signed and sent it back. Michael ** is still writing us a letter telling they still negotiate with other insurance companies. Who can believe that ridiculous play anymore? We can sue AAA insured for $10,000. She got injured at the accident and suffered a lot. Why to sue such a person, and let her suffer more because of her unprofessional insurance agency.

I was involved in a car accident over a year that I didn't cause. The person who caused the accident had AAA. They declared my truck a total but told me I couldn't be paid for the truck till the whole claim was resolved including injury. Nine months later the claim is resolved but AAA claims they sent payment for my truck nine months and that the check was cashed, and because I was cashed they sold my truck. I never signed a release. When I spoke to the total loss department manager Robert ** he said check was cashed there was nothing he could do and hung up.

4 months later I contact him again and this time he says I have to fill out paper for Bank of America so they can start a fraud investigation but I must wait till this investigation is over to get paid for my truck AAA. Now let me say I never signed over the title nor did I sign any kind of release. Why should I have to wait to get payment? I would never do recommend AAA to anyone and if you have to do business with them record all calls as I did against Robert ** in the total loss department.

Can someone explain to me why, AAA of Michigan feels it's in the rights to increase our policy costs because of two rear end collision that my wife was in where she was not at any fault? We have a bull's eye painted on the back of my wife's 2015 Lacrosse. The first person on cell phone, gassed before everyone else did, 3K in damage. Three weeks later, a woman not paying attention, hit my wife causing the same damage. So, we get the sickening review from AAA of Michigan, with a massive increase from these two accidents. The saddest thing is, when asking the AAA folks, they really don't know. How can you penalize the victim and turn them into the enemy? I have been a member for over 35 years. Thanks for the memories AAA, this is the last straw, I will no longer be affiliated with your fraudulent services.

I'm very upset at AAA. I have been with them as my auto and home insurance agent for many years and have always felt satisfied with their rates. However, last year I got a speeding ticket out of state. It was fairly minor. I forgot about it until my recent premium reflected a huge rate increase, apparently owing to my out of state ticket one year ago. I have talked to several customer service agents by phone and also gone into my local AAA office. I asked why such a huge increase since this is the only ticket I have received while with AAA for many years. Mostly they were impersonal and unresponsive, saying, "you got a ticket and this is the increase for the next three years."

I guess what upsets me is how impersonal these people are, when I expected a more personal response for my loyalty and for having a clean driving record. That does not exist these days, I know. In the end humans these days, are just numbers that translate to dollars and cents to these large companies that have such power over our lives. Shame on them all and shame on you, AAA, for treating me thus.

Don't believe the online quote; don't believe their commercials! First, I was completely misunderstood and misquoted! I was quoted $143 for two people, two vehicles, what did I get?....one vehicle, two drivers. It took me almost 3 weeks to get my cards, and when I did found out one vehicle wasn't covered. When I added the vehicle, they changed the policy to be $100 more a month, and that total monthly combined rate was $100 more than what I was paying at my other insurance company! Ridiculous!! When I cancelled my policy, they tried to charge me a cancellation fee! Of course, they made no mention of that when I signed up or when I cancelled. They need to take some responsibility and do the right thing! I will never pay that fee. Do not do business with them! They will misquote you, charge you more, and when you realize it and decide to leave because it is too expensive, they will try to tack on more fees!!!

Okay, they finally came through yesterday and told me they would pay for me to get a used transmission installed so I feel better. So I guess AAA does not suck as much as I originally thought.

Original Review

WARNING to anyone who relies on AAA - they will NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for damages caused to your vehicle by the tow truck. Citi Tow in Orlando brought the wrong kind of tow truck for a flat, dragged my flat tire down the road, then turned it around and dragged it from the rear and forgot to put my car in neutral. Had to stop in the middle of the road to turn it around again and said my car somehow popped out of gear. Now I'm $1,600 out of pocket and have missed three days of work and that's the cheapest quote I've gotten to replace my transmission. #AAA #AAASUCKS

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

AAA is officially a federation of motor clubs that offers auto insurance to drivers across America. The company now has more than 54 million members, and it operates out of its corporate headquarters in both Heathrow, FL, and Washington, D.C.

• Specialized insurance: AAA Auto Insurance offers policies to drivers of very specific types of vehicles, like classic cars.
  • Educational opportunities: The company offers drivers online courses in defensive driving, which gives customers a 10% discount on their plan.
  • Personal injury protection: Insurance plans cover driver and their families even if they are injured while in another person's vehicle.
  • Accident Assist: People who cover their vehicles with AAA accident can take advantage of the company's Accident Assist program, which provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.
  • Garage parking discount: AAA offers many unique discounts to members, including ones who choose to park their car in a protected garage rather than outside in the elements.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers looking for reliable insurance, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers with family members.

Compare Auto Insurance