2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.99/5
Based on 1,463 ratings submitted in the last year

BOTTOM LINE

AAA has provided Americans with auto insurance for over a century and has more than 50 branches countrywide. Its auto coverage requires a paid AAA membership, which includes access to various perks and discounts.

PROS

• Well established company
  • Several discount opportunities
  • Membership comes with other perks

CONS

• Must have a AAA membership
  • Coverage offerings differ by branch

Top AAA Auto Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

Their customer service is top notch. I 'bundle' my auto and home insurance, and no matter what the claim is, someone is always available to help. I've been a customer for years, and I highly recommend them!

AAA is awesome. The process of filing a claim is easy and the representative was very helpful. It was settled quickly and I was able to buy a new car within a few weeks. Also, they are willing to find solutions and discounts to match premiums with what you can afford.

AAA Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is AAA insurance?

AAA (the American Automobile Association) has been insuring Americans since 1902 and operates in more than 50 independent branches across the country. Since its inception, the company has been known for its automobile and driver safety services. Along with auto insurance, it provides homeowners, health and life coverage and more. It also offers insurance add-ons and policy bundles.

How does AAA auto insurance work?

To qualify for AAA auto insurance policies, you must be a AAA member. A membership also comes with perks like discounts on movies, hotels, rentals and more. Auto policy coverage and discount options vary slightly from branch to branch, but each AAA location offers all the standard coverage:

• Collision
  • Comprehensive
  • Liability
  • Medical payments
  • Personal injury protection
  • Underinsured motorist
  • Uninsured motorist

You can also add several coverage options to your policy. Your local branch could offer:

• Accident forgiveness
  • Custom electronics
  • Loan/lease payoff
  • New vehicle replacement
  • Pet coverage
  • Rental car reimbursement
  • Roadside assistance

You can also bundle home and auto policies to save more — depending on your location and insurer, you might be able to add life insurance to your bundle. Other insurance options some AAA clubs offer:

• Collector car
  • Pet
  • Travel
  • Umbrella

AAA auto insurance rates

AAA membership starts as low as $50 per year and increases depending on your location and selected services. Insurance rates also vary greatly person to person. Your AAA car insurance costs hinge on myriad factors, such as age, location, driving history, credit score and more.

AAA also offers multiple discount possibilities. You could qualify for discounts like:

• Advanced purchase
  • Paid-in-full
  • Vehicle safety equipment
  • Theft recovery devices

AAA auto insurance FAQ

What does AAA auto insurance cover?
AAA offers a variety of coverage options, including collision, comprehensive, liability, rental car reimbursement and more.
What does AAA comprehensive coverage offer?
AAA’s comprehensive coverage pays for vehicle damages from disasters and mishaps like animal collisions, earthquakes, fallen objects and more, while the collision option covers damage if you’ve hit another object (car, mailbox, wall, etc.) or flipped over.
How much does AAA full coverage insurance cost?
Your AAA auto insurance costs depend on several factors, including your location. You have to be an AAA member to benefit from its insurance, so make sure to factor in membership costs ($50+ per year).
Can I cancel AAA auto insurance?
Yes. AAA offers a flexible cancellation policy, so you can cancel over the phone, by email or in person.

Is AAA auto insurance any good?

AAA has been insuring American drivers for over a century. For some, it might not be worth it to pay a membership fee for car insurance — but AAA’s discounts and general benefits might balance out membership costs. Overall, AAA might not be the best choice for someone looking for bare-bones coverage, considering the added cost of a membership fee; however, if you want full coverage, policy bundle options and extra perks, AAA might meet your needs.

AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

AAA is an interactive company that has various insurance products. I have been with them since 2009. The rates were vey good until I had my first "chargeable" accident earlier this year. My limits were decreased and my premium doubled at the last renewal date in May. It was a financial struggle on my fixed income but I paid it. I just received my November renewal and my premium went up another $150, I can't afford to renew with them after being a customer for 11 years. It seems they are affordable until you have to file a claim with them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Recently switched to AAA so I do not have much to say about their services at this time. I did like the representative that signed me up for both home and car insurance and for the higher limits on the cars their prices were more reasonable by approximately $400 a year over the company I had for 2 prior years. To this date at age 77 I have ever had a chargeable accident or violation ticket. I do believe all these years of driving with a clean record should be considered by any insurance company. I like also that AAA has local agents and service centers.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

We have had AAA for over 20 years and just recently changed due to AAA being so expensive in Arizona for our home. But I was in two accidents while we were with AAA in California and they took care of everything for us. I never had to deal with the medical, and I was life flighted out of one location to a hospital. They handled every aspect of dealing with the other vehicles involved, I would highly recommend this company. Now when it comes to Progressive RUN RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN BECAUSE WHEN IT COMES TIME TO FILE A CLAIM THEY WILL NOT WORK WITH YOU FAIRLY.

Original review: July 30, 2020

We switched to AAA for the bundling. And we are glad we did. They not only were able to insure our vehicles, trailer, and home. That was why we switched from GEICO after 26 years. AAA does their own insuring unlike Geico that farms out the homeowner insurance. AAA also gives discounts for membership in various organizations or affiliations. They even give out discounts for the amount of years that you are with them. We never got that from Geico. We have been happy with AAA, especially since we can keep everything with one company. Even our membership too. As for vehicle insurance they will tailor what you want and give out honest quotes. Luckily so far we have not had to do a claim for our vehicles with them. But, unfortunately, we did have to do it with our house insurance.

Original review: July 26, 2020

It seems expensive, but in my two not-at-fault accidents, the coverage was substantial. The first accident caused considerable damage to my car, which was covered except that the AAA adjuster decided an alignment was not necessary. This led to a flat tire on a busy bridge – dangerous situation! The second accident was an out-of-control driver, and my car was trashed. My passenger later died, and I was badly shaken. The other driver had limited insurance, but I had adequate coverage, which, as far as I know now, will cover the damages that her insurance won't cover.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Very archaic organization. Everything is done by mail and technology seems to be their enemy. Along with being outdated they are far from the cheapest. The one benefit is actually belonging to the automobile club for road assistance. But seems like that is an offering most others have available these days. Not sure how they will fare as their customer base fades with age.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

It's that time of the year when I had to renew my auto policy with AAA. It switched to a new company and while the new rates are good, ways of paying them are not. This year I am unable to pay my premium online as I used to. The only option was to do this by snail mail. I sent my payment by USPS Priority Mail, and a week later, it's still in transit and no telling when it arrives. My renewal date is just 3 days away and I don't want risking losing coverage because USPS lost my mail.

Emailed the agent inquiring why can't I pay online and the answer was basically take it or leave it. After notifying the agent about a possibility of lost mail, was advised to pay by a phone call or else drive to the local AAA club. Ah great. Driving to the club while we're still under stay at home order, and I am at a higher risk for the virus being over 60 years old.

The agent provided an option of actually doing this by phone, which way my neighbors will be able to hear my credit card info. This is totally unacceptable. Most likely I am going to switch to another company where I will be able to pay premiums online, plus the premiums will include roadside assistance for which I'm paying through the roof with AAA. I think I've been with them way too long and the time has come for a change. I don't recommend AAA insurance to anyone. Shop around, there are better choices.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I am NOT renewing my membership with AAA. I pay for my son also and I got one of my daughters to join. This last year has been a total let down with AAA. From calling for hours with no answer to the app failing over and over, then not giving rides when you're stranded. I am putting my money somewhere else. I tell every one to go with their insurance company for roadside assistance. UNLESS you have AAA for insurance. Then you should change your insurance also. My family and I know now we are NOT safe with AAA.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I hit a deer and took my truck to the shop AAA recommended. After waiting 29 days for my truck to be done I got a call the day before Thanksgiving telling me that AAA would no longer pay for my rental and I would have to pay for it until my truck was complete. I called AAA and spoke with 2 different managers. Both told me that this happens all the time and if I wanted to keep my rental car until my truck was done I would have to pay for it. I am sure they recommended that shop for a reason but it is to benefit their company and not their customer. The one manager had the nerve to tell me that I have another car on my policy so I can return the rental and I wouldn't have to pay for it for another week or until my truck was done. The managers were smug and didn't care that the place told me to go to took over a month to complete the work. I will be switching insurance companies for sure.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Have been with AAA for more than 18 years. They service kept degrading over the years. Specially when it comes to file for a claim where other party is not involved, they will never come to your rescue. They will abandon the customer no matter how loyal you have been. They will do anything to decline a claim no matter how small it is. Had terrible few experiences with them. They purposely will delay the claim and then deny it after a long wait. Finally I decided to go with a other insurance company that are not only less expensive than AAA but also more willing to work with me. I would recommend not to use AAA insurance at all. Horrible experience! Stay away from AAA.

AAA Auto Insurance Company Information