AAA Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Scott of Delray Beach, FL on

I have been a AAA member for more than 40 years. I logged into my AAA app today and reported my stranded vehicle at 9:13 AM. More than 30 minutes later, there was no call or update on the app, so I called them and they said they didn't process my request because they didn't have my address on file (I know it WAS on file). They said they would dispatch someone shortly. The ETA on my app keeps updating to a later and later time. I called for a status update at 11:30 AM and they said it will be at least another 20 minutes until arrival. That would make it more than a 2 1/2 hour wait from when I first requested help. This is ridiculous and UNACCEPTABLE. I wish I could give ZERO star rating.

Ann of Princeton, NJ on

Please know that AAA Roadside Assistance installed a battery for me and the battery subsequently dislodged and punctured our radiator. $1100 in damage and they claim no responsibility! Please please do not use their service! Our entire family was put at risk.

Paulette of Austin, TX on

AAA Auto Insurance has cheaper rates for same coverage as previous insurance, Liberty Mutual. Have only been with AAA for about a year, but representative was very helpful in getting me what I needed. Have called CS once and they too were very responsive and easy to contact. Still feel I pay too much for an 11-year-old car and no claims.

Nonyo of Minnesota, Minneslowta on

HATE - PURE UNADULTERATED HATE! RIPOFF'S. They should be charged with RICO crimes in my opinion. They are a continuing criminal enterprise! No if's! My partner of 36 years has been a loyal AAA member for years. Was recently in a non-ticketed crash. Doubled our rates on 4 cars. They were replaced when this about to be "ex" 36-year monster finally came to his senses.

Stacey of Vacaville, CA on

As an insurance company, you had to be a AAA member to get the insurance, which as a package was rather expensive. Other companies included a much better roadside assistance package in when you bought the insurance for free. Also, filing a claim was very lengthy. Several different people involved, and they were all sending different notifications. At one point I got a notice saying it was resolved and completed then I got a notice saying it wasn't. This was about 2 years ago and I've yet to receive another notice. I don't think it's completed yet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Sheree of Moreno Valley, California on

Their rates are great and their roadside service is topnotch. Always friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. They answered and paid the claim in a timely fashion but I feel that it's unfair of them to raise rates for incidents that are fairly minor. The rate increase is over a year long and not due to an actual moving violation involving a citation. If that were the case I would feel it was more fair to me, the consumer. When you pay for years without incident, then they raise your rates when you finally make a claim.

James of Bloomfield Hills, MI on

Anyone and everyone that has AAA car insurance in Michigan please be careful at Telegraph and Maple, in Bloomfield. There is a gas station/Tim Horton's that is open 24/7 and there has been someone calling the police sharing that they have been in a hit and run and this has happen to me and I did not hit anyone and now my car insurance has gone up over one thousand $$$ more and the person told AAA that I did hit them and did file a claim with my insurance company and AAA did pay them money!!!

Myself I have never heard of any insurance company filing a insurance claim on a customer's policy without sharing that with the customer and this did happen to me and AAA will not help me!!! And I am looking for another insurance company that does not file a claim against their customer and there was no accident of crash like they did tell me that I was in in December and I sure have never been in a crash or an accident in my 60 years of life!!!

Paul of Warwick, RI on

Auto insurance is very expensive and in the the state of Rhode Island you have to be careful to pick the right company that will assist you when you need to make a claim but not pay a high premium. I have lived in three different states across the US and have done my home work on compering prices between insurance companies for the same amount of coverage on my vehicle. AAA has always had the best price for the same coverage with all the local insurance companies. In the past 30 years I have been driving I had a total of 5 accidents. Out of the 5 accidents 2 of them I used different insurance companies but did not get the same caring assistance as I did when I was with AAA. The claims rep. was very calming and caring. Made you feel like they are there to truly assist you. They took all the information and details from me about the accident and went right to work on resolving the situation. And get you right back on the road.

chris of Paradise, CA on

An AAA auto policy does not cover towing or emergency road service. Towing and emergency road service is part of the AAA membership that can cost between $56 and $119 depending upon what membership benefits you want. This amount needs to be added to the AAA insurance quote to get an apples to apples comparison with other insurance company quotes.

Catherine of Carmichael, CA on

AAA has cutting edge technology making the claims process very smooth. Filing a claim was simple enough and flowed smoothly. I like the personal touch - having a specific insurance agent assigned to my policy, someone I can call with questions. However, AAA is doing away with the personal touch meaning assigning an actual insurance agent to policy holder. I feel that is a mistake. If making a change to a policy calls are routed to a call center. I am not comfortable with this and want the expertise of one specific human.

Gregory of Pollock Pines, CA on

AAA Auto Insurance has low prices, I check every few years to be sure. Very helpful staff if you ever need to talk to them in person or on the phone. You need to be smart to find them since they do not force themselves down your throat with ads. When my son rolled our car, CSAA covered it and the towing completely. Even giving me more for the totaled value than the car would have sold for. My yearly rate only increased a couple hundred dollars the next year. After that I bumped a car in the rear in the city. I presented my evidence to CSAA showing that the other driver was exaggerating their damages. My insurance did not increase. Everyone at CSAA is easy to deal with, plus they can handle DMV things and they have maps.

Naimesh of Canton, MI on

I have been with AAA insurance for more than 30 years. Although, AAA has increased premiums for no reasons in past (due to reasons like your car is too old and repairs are expensive OR Car is new). For whatever reason, I stayed with AAA for long time. But this time around, I have been fighting with AAA as they keep adding my adult kids to my car insurance policy although they still have their own policy and their own cars. My kids are 29 and 27 years old and they both live out of state. I think this is very unfair practice as if my son gets ticket I get punished on my insurance policy and he gets punished on his insurance policy. This is very unfair practice. They should remove them from my policy if I provide them the proof that they do not live with me. PLEASE HELP.

Patricia of Tucson, AZ on

I have found that, although they are expensive, they are willing to work with you to make sure you are getting the best deal possible, by suggesting and providing on-line driving tests for seniors etc. I have been impressed by the helpful representative whom we know by name and can access her in person when we need to, for advice and assistance. Triple A has been a standby for road assistance for me since 1969. They are there when you need them.

Alice of Cleveland, Ohio on

AAA has all of my most important items in my life covered (Life, Car, and House). All three at a reasonable amount per month. I am very pleased with my insurance company because the customer service is just awesome and respectful. I have a personal agent with all of my covered insurances under AAA. They are so helpful and insightful about their job responsibilities. I have always gotten a great attitude in person as well as on the phone and even by US mail. I signed up at a different location for my life insurance and the agent was professional and we were even able to get in a few laughs. I have not had to use my house insurance yet and I am hoping I won't ever have to. I know though that when I do need to use it I am in good hands. I have used my tow service with them and received excellent customer service. I am not worried at all about my money and whether or not AAA is working for me.

James of Visalia, CA on

AAA Insurance is easy and low in price. I have never had a claim with AAA but I have used the auto service for flat tire, dead battery and locked keys in the car.

Val of Palm Springs, CA on

Although I have not had occasion to utilize the claims department, I have faith in AAA. Whenever I have called with any questions I have been treated like a valued customer and the advice has always been right on and very helpful. I have always been happy with their service and the perks of being a AAA member which is why I have been one for close to 40 years. I think my insurance is a good price but feel they are all too expensive. The pay scale and bonuses are quite high, some of that excess could be funneled back to the customer.

Richard of Mustang, OK on

Getting the quote through obtaining the policy was done without much effort at all. AAA periodically asked that I review my policies to make sure that the coverage is what I need to cover the vehicles as they age. This is good for both the company as well as the customer. Went online to open a claim for a cracked windshield. Checked a box to have them take care of the problem with a preferred provider. The repair company called, set an appointment time, came to my home and replaced the windshield. Best repair experience the I can remember for a long time. AAA did exactly what their policy indicated they would do. There's always room for improvement though.

Joseph of Escondido, CA on

I would recommend AAA insurance to anyone in my area. I have been with them several years and have found that they handle my claims quickly and keep you updated on progress and follow up after the work is completed to make sure that I am satisfied. The claim was done professionally by the rep. I think the policy is a little pricey, but I don't mind if the customer service is good.

Wade of Las Cruces, NM on

AAA Auto Insurance provides very reasonable rates and customer service. I am confident that they will handle all future claims with satisfaction. I prefer face to face contact with my insurance provider and AAA insurance provides that which is why I chose them and later expanded my insurance coverage with then to include Home and auto. Bundling my home an auto also provided me a significant discount along with the peace of mind that I enjoy with a nationally recognized leading name in Insurance products that is also backed by strong customer satisfaction in national independent customer surveys.

Cindy of Fair Oaks, CA on

I still have this company for my house insurance but dropped them as my auto insurance because they made me feel like a liar or an exaggerator when I was filing an injury claim. I was rear-ended and was not at fault. Spoke to people there - they would transfer me to the next person. They weren't bad people on the phone, I just think they were jaded or their scripts made it sound like they were unsympathetic and to make the customer feel like they were lying.

Danette of Lemoore, CA on

Overall AAA is a great company. Always had excellent feedback and customer service that was until I filed a claim. The claim has been in arbitration for two months. Other party whom was involved isn't paying for damages. I've had to be the initiator in contact with my adjuster because she doesn't follow up unless I leave countless emails and messages.

Yasmin of Hamden, CT on

Honest is the best policy. Clarity in the description of available services, types of insurance, overall costs, including any "hidden fees," or "undisclosed" "fine print" information that is pivotal when potential clients desire to compare and contrast information and services provided by this company and its competitors.

Ameli of Columbia, Missouri on

Customer service is available 24/7 and they have the lowest rates. I have my home insured with them also. The only "catch" with Triple A in the state I live (this is NOT the case in all states) is that in the event someone is driving your car and there is an "event" you had better make sure they are insured, because the policy only pays the state minimum, which is $25,000 if legal action is enacted; after that the policy covering the driver you allowed to drive your car would cover anything above that. Again this is a state mandate in the state I live in and not in all states, so check it out and save yourself a ton of money.

Paula of Joplin, MO on

We've had AAA home and auto insurance for 10 years and their roadside coverage for 14 years. They've never disappointed us or been difficult even when we filed claims. Their claims process was simple and painless. We feel at ease having coverage from a company we trust. They have always stood behind us and I'd recommend them.

Janet of Victorville, CA on

Great company all around. We called them right away and they had someone out that day to look at our truck. They told us to pick the place we wanted it fixed and they took care of it. Picked our truck up and that was it.

Kathleen of Northville, MI on

Have auto and homeowners with AAA. MEMBER FOR 30+ YEARS. Had one claim in early 2015 on my AAA HOMEOWNERS policy for stolen tires and rims on my auto while parked at my home. AAA raised the cost of my Auto Insurance on next renewal which now comes to $176/month which would amount to over $2000/year! I am 71 years old, retired, no tickets, drive less than 10,000 miles/year, credit score is over 800 - Excellent, no auto claims in 25 years. AAA agents are no help at all. Highway robbery. Just as my friends left AAA because of outrageously high premiums, I will be looking for another carrier for both auto and homeowners. No personalized service when dealing with their agents. No consideration when dealing with long time customers.

Jeffrey of Las Vegas, NV on

AAA Auto Insurance has great service and is cheaper than my prior carrier Allstate. The lady I dealt with cared and saved me $1200 per year on my home and auto insurance, looked for every discount possible.

Sandra of Carmel Valley, CA on

My daughter, who is 20, got two speeding tickets in the last year. AAA raised the rates on EVERY driver in our house, to the tune of $2,000 a year for the next three years!!! We have filed NO claims in the two years we've had this insurance. What a total rip off!!! I will be searching for new auto insurance.

Diana of Los Angeles, CA on

In my policy, I had my 2 sons with me. When my eldest son was starting to drive, they told me as soon as he reach the age of 24, I would see his rates going down, as long as his records are good like no ticket or no accidents. He didn't get any of those, thanks to God. But when he reach 24 yrs old the rate never went down. Then I ask. AAA said they extend the age to 25. Now he is 26 years old his rate still didn't go down. So I change insurance company. Also, when both you and the other party are AAA customer, they don't want to fix your car right away. It will take months like 3 months to fix. They toss your claim from one person to another. Even though the other party accept that it was his fault that he hit your car. Person who is handling your case is very rude. Lately I have noticed that their customer service is very very poor. Very unprofessional.

Shawn of Cobleskill, NY on

I have been a member with AAA Auto club for the last 9 years and have had AAA membership when I was a teenager, so really on and off about 15 years. I was so excited when I was eligible, to be a plus member, when I received a letter in the mail on March 31, 2017, from a Lori **, member relations dept. stating the following:

"Although on average, members use only one road service call per year, we understand that there may be years when a member requires more than an average amount of service. To provide for this, members are generally permitted up to four (4) road services calls in a membership year. However, we may determine whether a member's road service usage is excessive. In making such determination, we may consider the cost associated with road service calls, call frequency over multiple membership years and other factors. We have determined that your road service usage is excessive and because of that, your membership has been downgraded as of 7/01/17. If applicable the unused portion of your dues will be refunded by check in a separate communication. Your downgraded AAA membership includes the following members: Primary member Shawn and Dakota."

Unbelievable. So basically even though I'm a on going year after year member. To a multi million dollar company, that has been around for as long there was auto service in this great United States of America, because I use the service that I pay for in advance, and own used cars, and only use the service that I pay for every year after year, they are saying you are poor, and you can only afford to own used cars that do breakdown, etc... etc... You have been a great member supporting a multi million dollar company, but instead of increasing my membership fee or offering me a opportunity to pay a little more, for their services, I'm being downgraded.

Sounds like discrimination up down and sideways. I had just had a conversation prior to receiving this letter with a representative, who stated to me that as long as I did not get use another service call before July 2017, I would be eligible for their upgrade to platinum status, instead I'm being downgraded. I think it's time for a YouTube video and see how many other faithful members have been downgraded because they too own used cars...

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

AAA is officially a federation of motor clubs that offers auto insurance to drivers across America. The company now has more than 54 million members, and it operates out of its corporate headquarters in both Heathrow, FL, and Washington, D.C.

• Specialized insurance: AAA Auto Insurance offers policies to drivers of very specific types of vehicles, like classic cars.
  • Educational opportunities: The company offers drivers online courses in defensive driving, which gives customers a 10% discount on their plan.
  • Personal injury protection: Insurance plans cover driver and their families even if they are injured while in another person's vehicle.
  • Accident Assist: People who cover their vehicles with AAA accident can take advantage of the company's Accident Assist program, which provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.
  • Garage parking discount: AAA offers many unique discounts to members, including ones who choose to park their car in a protected garage rather than outside in the elements.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers looking for reliable insurance, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers with family members.

Compare Auto Insurance