2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

4.0/5 (1523 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About AAA Auto Insurance

AAA provides automobile insurance to its members through 50+ regional branches nationwide. The company offers multiple coverage types, but its auto insurance is available only to paid AAA members. All AAA memberships come with several perks and discount opportunities, but coverage options differ by location.

Pros

• Well-established company
  • Several discount opportunities
  • Membership comes with other perks

Cons

• Must have an AAA membership
  • Coverage offerings differ by branch

Bottom Line

AAA has provided Americans with auto insurance for over a century and has more than 50 branches countrywide. Its auto coverage requires a paid AAA membership, which includes access to various perks and discounts.

Top AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Verified

Their customer service is top notch. I 'bundle' my auto and home insurance, and no matter what the claim is, someone is always available to help. I've been a customer for years, a...

Verified

AAA is awesome. The process of filing a claim is easy and the representative was very helpful. It was settled quickly and I was able to buy a new car within a few weeks. Also, the...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is AAA insurance?

AAA (the American Automobile Association) has been insuring Americans since 1902 and operates in more than 50 independent branches across the country. Since its inception, the company has been known for its automobile and driver safety services. Along with auto insurance, it provides homeowners, health and life coverage and more. It also offers insurance add-ons and policy bundles.

How does AAA auto insurance work?

To qualify for AAA auto insurance policies, you must be a AAA member. A membership also comes with perks like discounts on movies, hotels, rentals and more. Auto policy coverage and discount options vary slightly from branch to branch, but each AAA location offers all the standard coverage:

• Collision
  • Comprehensive
  • Liability
  • Medical payments
  • Personal injury protection
  • Underinsured motorist
  • Uninsured motorist

You can also add several coverage options to your policy. Your local branch could offer:

• Accident forgiveness
  • Custom electronics
  • Loan/lease payoff
  • New vehicle replacement
  • Pet coverage
  • Rental car reimbursement
  • Roadside assistance

You can also bundle home and auto policies to save more — depending on your location and insurer, you might be able to add life insurance to your bundle. Other insurance options some AAA clubs offer:

• Collector car
  • Renters
  • Pet
  • Travel
  • Umbrella

AAA auto insurance quotes and rates

AAA membership starts as low as $50 per year and increases depending on your location and selected services. Insurance rates also vary greatly person to person. Your AAA car insurance quote depends on various factors, such as age, location, driving history, credit score and more.

AAA also offers multiple discount possibilities. You could qualify for discounts like:

• Advanced purchase
  • Paid-in-full
  • Vehicle safety equipment
  • Theft recovery devices

AAA auto insurance FAQ

What does AAA auto insurance cover?
AAA offers a variety of coverage options, including collision, comprehensive, liability, rental car reimbursement and more.
What does AAA comprehensive coverage offer?
AAA’s comprehensive coverage pays for vehicle damages from disasters and mishaps like animal collisions, earthquakes, fallen objects and more, while the collision option covers damage if you’ve hit another object (car, mailbox, wall, etc.) or flipped over.
How much does AAA full coverage insurance cost?
Your AAA auto insurance costs depend on several factors, including your location. You have to be an AAA member to benefit from its insurance, so make sure to factor in membership costs ($50+ per year).
Can I cancel AAA auto insurance?
Yes. AAA offers a flexible cancellation policy, so you can cancel over the phone, by email or in person.

Is AAA a good car insurance?

AAA has been insuring American drivers for over a century. For some, it might not be worth it to pay a membership fee for car insurance — but AAA’s discounts and general benefits might balance out membership costs. Overall, AAA might not be the best choice for someone looking for bare-bones coverage, considering the added cost of a membership fee; however, if you want full coverage, policy bundle options and extra perks, AAA might meet your needs.

AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

AAA is an interactive company that has various insurance products. I have been with them since 2009. The rates were vey good until I had my first "chargeable" accident earlier this year. My limits were decreased and my premium doubled at the last renewal date in May. It was a financial struggle on my fixed income but I paid it. I just received my November renewal and my premium went up another $150, I can't afford to renew with them after being a customer for 11 years. It seems they are affordable until you have to file a claim with them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Recently switched to AAA so I do not have much to say about their services at this time. I did like the representative that signed me up for both home and car insurance and for the higher limits on the cars their prices were more reasonable by approximately $400 a year over the company I had for 2 prior years. To this date at age 77 I have ever had a chargeable accident or violation ticket. I do believe all these years of driving with a clean record should be considered by any insurance company. I like also that AAA has local agents and service centers.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

We have had AAA for over 20 years and just recently changed due to AAA being so expensive in Arizona for our home. But I was in two accidents while we were with AAA in California and they took care of everything for us. I never had to deal with the medical, and I was life flighted out of one location to a hospital. They handled every aspect of dealing with the other vehicles involved, I would highly recommend this company. Now when it comes to Progressive RUN RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN BECAUSE WHEN IT COMES TIME TO FILE A CLAIM THEY WILL NOT WORK WITH YOU FAIRLY.

Original review: July 30, 2020

We switched to AAA for the bundling. And we are glad we did. They not only were able to insure our vehicles, trailer, and home. That was why we switched from GEICO after 26 years. AAA does their own insuring unlike Geico that farms out the homeowner insurance. AAA also gives discounts for membership in various organizations or affiliations. They even give out discounts for the amount of years that you are with them. We never got that from Geico. We have been happy with AAA, especially since we can keep everything with one company. Even our membership too. As for vehicle insurance they will tailor what you want and give out honest quotes. Luckily so far we have not had to do a claim for our vehicles with them. But, unfortunately, we did have to do it with our house insurance.

Original review: July 26, 2020

It seems expensive, but in my two not-at-fault accidents, the coverage was substantial. The first accident caused considerable damage to my car, which was covered except that the AAA adjuster decided an alignment was not necessary. This led to a flat tire on a busy bridge – dangerous situation! The second accident was an out-of-control driver, and my car was trashed. My passenger later died, and I was badly shaken. The other driver had limited insurance, but I had adequate coverage, which, as far as I know now, will cover the damages that her insurance won't cover.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I was rear-ended at a stoplight on April 23, 2021. The person that hit me had AAA auto insurance. The evening of the accident AAA contacted me with the name and phone number of an adjuster that would reach out to me within the next 48 hours. As of today May 11, 2021 I have never heard from or seen that adjuster. I have called and left multiple messages with no response. After multiple attempts to reach someone within AAA I received a call from a supervisor. This supervisor was rude, condescending and unprofessional. I was told directly that I could not take my new car back to the dealership for repairs and if I did AAA would not pay for the repairs. I was told that my car would not be fixed with original parts and I had to take my car to a specific body shop of their choice.

I continued to have questions and concerns that were unanswered due to no specific callback phone number. Every AAA phone number that I googled or called routed me to roadside service or the purchase of insurance. When I finally reached a live person they would tell me I had the wrong department, extension or the wrong state for AAA auto insurance. It was impossible to get in contact with the actual department I needed to speak with all my questions and concerns. I even tried to contact the AAA corporate office to file a formal complaint, but only got an automated system asking if I needed roadside service. This entire process was horrendous. No one should have to go through this type of process just to get their car repaired by AAA auto insurance.

Original review: April 20, 2021

My husband passed away in December 2020. I have an existing plan paid in full until 6.24.21. Our daughter is on the plan also. I called to put myself on the plan since my husband passed away and I have paid up plan. I was informed that they can make my daughter the main person on the plan and add myself for $9.25. They said the charge was due to a call on the plan last summer when my daughters car battery died at work at 2am. So the deal is if you use AAA services and need to change an existing account due to a death of primary client you will be charged to do this. I think this is shameful and should not be allowed.

My husband died but his account was paid in full until 6.24.21 but even if I cancelled I wouldn't get money back because we used the plan and they made a call last summer! Isn't this what we pay for when we join? I will be cancelling this horrible plan as of 6.24.21 and just wanted to make sure people know what this AAA company is all about! Making money and not helping people. Shame on you AAA.

Original review: March 26, 2021

I've had experience with multiple aspects of AAA. I had their towing service when my car was aging and last year, I had both their auto and condo insurance. They did offer decent rates for coverage but at the same time, I was an ideal person to insure because I never had to file a claim. This year, I bought a brand new car after driving the same car for 16 years. I left their insurance company simply because it made sense to try Tesla insurance with the rates they were offering. With less than 1,500 miles on my car, I was rear ended by someone in their 20s at a stop light when it was red because he was "drinking water". He was under his parents' AAA car insurance policy. It was a very clear case of who was at fault.

I only called my insurance company at first because other than the one car accident in my early twenties, I've never had to interact with car insurance. Well I was rather disappointed in my Tesla insurance because they essentially were not going to go to bat for me if I was unwilling to pay the deductible to start. That's a whole other issue. I contacted AAA and was assigned to the associate AG. Just following a few interactions with her, it was very apparent they handle things by dragging their feet. She made claims that the Tesla shop person would not work with her, that I couldn't get a assessment quote from AAA until the day of my appointment at the shop insinuating that I should pay out of pocket first for the fix, never replied to my email during a work day even though I generally messaged her very early in the morning, and just blatantly made up false excuses about why things couldn't take place early (I have email proof).

My appointment with Tesla is on the 29th and AAA will not reach out to them again until tomorrow on the 26th, even though I made it very clear that they had to order my rear bumper and paint them. The accident happened on the 5th. I think the only reason it has even moved as fast as it has is because I have an upcoming appointment that I scheduled on my own. Overall, it leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. I even shared with the representative that I suffer from anxiety and this situation was bringing on terrible stress for me.

Is AAA truly an "American" insurance company? The United States is an adopted country for me, one where I've spent almost 3/4th of my entire life. I love supporting American companies. What they are doing seems very un-American. AAA is going to raise the rates of the person that hit my car. It was a very clear case and I wasn't making any ridiculous, false demands. All I wanted was my brand new car to be restored, which is when insurance company should step in to save the day. "Don't worry. Both you and the other driver were responsible people. We will cover this for you." Instead, they implied I should pay out of pocket for the fix and that their quote may come back differently from Tesla's.

Their business approach, implying that I could be treated poorly because I wasn't the paying customer, is sooo wrong. Every client that they interact with could potentially become a paying customer. Instead, I will NEVER EVER use their insurance coverage again and I will advise as many people against it as possible. The simple reason is that the US is a very sue-happy country. It would be terrible for someone to come after you simply because your insurance company is dragging their feet! On top of that, they send out sooo many mailers that look like junk mail. Who are you targeting with those mailers AAA? The only thing that is of value is their tow service, which I do recommend if you have an old car and are a commuter. It will pay for itself.

Original review: March 10, 2021

I live in FL on a street that has had multi storms over the past five years. Since 2019 six houses have been reroofed on just my street and AAA won't do mine. It is in court now. The neighbors beside me, across the street from me and down the road are reroofed.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

We had AAA Auto Insurance on two cars. We were set up on auto renew. We had changed credit cards and the renew payment did not go through. Rather than AAA contacting us by phone or mail to let us know there was problem, a week later they cancelled our insurance. We drove for two months without knowing that we did not have any insurance until the State of Florida contacted us to ask why we were uncovered!! Unbelievable that a company would cancel you without any attempt to rectify or resolve the issue. Thank God we had no accidents during that period of time. Will never use AAA again.

AAA Auto Insurance Company Information