Find the Best Match

AAA Auto Insurance
3.39/5
Based on 247 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AAA Auto Insurance

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

980 AAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I got AAA insurance the end of May 2018. In less than 2 months, I started having issues: the rep was not responsive, AAA could not get my mailing address correctly inputted (took 4 calls to correct), the rep that signed me up put the wrong VIN down and tried to put the blame on me. I received a letter saying my car was being canceled.

When I called AAA, they said the agent never returned their call about the VIN so they called the mfr! Who does that?! Why not call the customer! Because of my agent's negligence to return AAA's call, my car is being canceled. I then gave AAA the correct VIN. I called my agent to see if he had cleared up his mess and was told I was holding up Underwriting because I hadn't sent the car registration. I was never contacted about this request. My advice - stay away from AAA Auto Insurance. This headache began in June, and it's now August and it is still unresolved! Plus, the agent is not taking responsibility for his mess!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

AAA of Southern California - STAY AWAY from this company for any insurance. You are only welcome as long as you don't have a claim. I have been a member for 25 years and they decided to drop me because I live just off the 15 FWY in Suburban Hills. They claimed that my address is associated with a "dangerous liability" so they cancelled my renewal. WHAT?!?!? Keep in mind that the hill behind my home is watered and maintained by the HOA and there is no brush behind my home. What a pathetic excuse to drop a long time customer.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I've been a member 30 years. Used Med Pay twice before. This time the "medical claims adjuster" has treated me as though I am a scammer trying to dupe her about my injury despite documentation and medical charge codes and canceled checks to my practitioner as proof. She is argumentative and confrontational when speaking to me... rather than treating me like a customer... rather than work out a solution, or explain CSAA's process, she accuses me of refusing to cooperate, and proceeds to lecture me. Really weird and unprofessional. I also agree with the complaints about CSAA's road service. It took them 2 hours, 15 minutes at 10:00 am on a Saturday to come and change a tire. Unreal.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I am extremely dissatisfied with AAA. Only after using their services 3 times in a year they cancel my membership because they felt that the 3 times was too much so they sent me a notification to say they were not going to renew my membership. I have been a member over 15 years and that is the respect that I get from them? They are a total rip off! Would not suggest anyone I know to ever use them.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018 I am a AAA premier member means I’m suppose to get quality service. It’s 10:30 pm. I have been waiting for a tow truck since 8 pm to take me home. I’m

25 miles away and I keep calling the tow place. Lady is rude. If she was in my shoes she be pissed. I got attitude. It has not been a great night.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I had a great experience with AAA until their policy kept rising in price and price. When I canceled they continue to keep charging me even though I was insured with Geico and after I provided them with proper documentation they continue to charge me again.

Original review: July 30, 2018

My car got vandalize on July 1, 2018 and I filed a police report right away. When I called my insurance to report it, they told me that I had to wait for an estimator to inspect my car. It took them 1 week to get an estimator just to check how bad it was and the guy basically told me that I just have wait for their call. So I waited, and on July 11, 2018 I got sick of their alibi transferring me to different people and made me talk to Toyota Financial about my options, which I did and they told me that my insurance should be the one talking to them about it.

Got myself a rental car which I used on July 11, 2018 til July 25, 2018 which I paid out of pocket, and when I called my appraisal about how am I gonna get it reimburse she told me that she’d take care of it, and now July 30, 2018. I just check my bank and I got an overdraft twice. In conclusion, this is the worst auto insurance I’ve got. They make you wait and transfer you to different people. I hate how they are inconsiderate, incompetent and how slow they work.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Have been a AAA member for a while, never needed to call a tow truck. Today, my car broke down and I was on the phone with 5 DIFFERENT people giving me different times they could send a truck... 3 and a half hours later they still were unable to give me any specific time that they were able to come get my car. Disrespectful, I will be canceling my service with them immediately.

Original review: July 13, 2018

We changed from a local agent and a nat'l ins co, because rates skyrocketed. AAA has all our policies and have given us lots of help in types of ins and great rates. They're also easy to talk to and easy to contact.

Original review: July 7, 2018

We got stranded out of town with a truck that had blown a rear seal in the rear differential. AAA said that they wouldn't tow the truck because it had a flat bed. So I called AAA and pretended that I wanted to become a member but that I had a flatbed truck. The AAA lady Teresa said that as long as the vehicle wasn't over 14000 lbs and wasn't a commercial vehicle that it would be covered!!! Then I told her that I was a member and had just been denied a tow. She talked to a supervisor and confirmed that the policy wouldn't cover the truck. I believe that what the new member representative did is fraudulent. This is the second time that AAA has not helped me because of a policy loophole and I will never support their business again!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Twice in the last year, I've had to have a vehicle towed. Both times the driver was sneaky by asking what's up? Turns out he was just looking for any reason to disqualify the tow. Both were not concerned for my welfare, only looking for any reason (in fine print) that disqualifies the tow as free. They HAPPILY said, "Well GOOD news is that this does not qualify for a AAA roadside assistance tow!" (Yes, they actually said Good News.)

Original review: July 1, 2018

No tow truck available. I am here in the middle of nowhere with my car broke. So I called Triple A and am waiting for 4 hours. BoA they called me saying that there is no one available to pick me up. Is this a joke? I pay it.

Original review: June 29, 2018

AAA did a fine job and handled the claim well. It was good, but not the very best in process. It was handled timely, but there was no "over-the-top" interactions or communications.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I've had the worst experience with AAA insurance. I was told AAA insurance was the best insurance. Which is why I switched from Geico. The agent that helped me with the switch failed in every aspect. Nice guy but very incompetent. I received an email from his supervisor to rate his service. I replied explaining how everything went wrong. I never heard back from his supervisor? My insurance was canceled due to him not following thru with the auto pay. I contacted AAA and all they can say is 'I'm sorry'. I had to pay more money out of pocket to reinstate. I can't afford to cancel because I will be billed $600.00 or more. Total nightmare.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Each encounter I have had with a AAA employee has been above par. While driving my car cama windshield flew up and smashed the windshield of my Jaguar. I was going about 35 miles an hour. I called AAA who happened to be my insurance company. The AAA operator open the claim for me. I don't think I would have thought about claiming this in my insurance. The process was smooth. When I had my accident, I did not want my car to be totaled. Looking back on it it was the right thing to do. Not only did they have to figure in the damage of the windshield in the hood, they would have to investigate why the latch did not work. Costly.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My experience with AAA was the worst car service I've ever received. My car originally broke down from overheating on 5/29/18. So, I called AAA to have it towed. When speaking to the receptionist, she explained the tow truck would arrive within 1 hour. After waiting 2 hours, the tow truck finally arrived. The man who finally showed up had track marks covering his arms, some of which were still bleeding, his teeth were black, and he seemed totally out of it. He never said hello, was cursing, yelling, and mumbling to himself throughout the entire encounter, and kept pulling at his own hair. As a nursing student, I was fairly certain he had used drugs recently. Standing there alone with a dead phone battery, you can imagine how apprehensive I was about getting in the tow truck with him. But, it was my only option as I did not have another ride.

He asked me where I wanted to go to have my car serviced. I would have liked to take my car to the Honda Dealer, but his erratic behavior deterred me from going to a garage that was far away. I told him to take me to the closest place possible because I was very concerned that he would wreck the vehicle. My suspicions were later validated when he swerved the truck as we were driving. The closest garage happened to be AAA garage in West Chester, PA which was approximately 0.75 miles away from the location of my vehicle. I agreed to have my car taken there under the circumstances. When we arrived, they told me it couldn't be fixed that day because it was too late and that I would have to wait until tomorrow (Wednesday) to have it fixed.

On Wednesday, they contacted me in the morning stating my car had a leak in the radiator and that I would need a new radiator, thermostat, and 2 hoses to fix it. They told me it would cost $800 to have this done. I agreed to the service. Later that afternoon, after my car was "fixed," I picked it up. They explained it was fixed and running fine. Well, the truth is, it wasn't running fine. After picking it up, my thermostat gauge was all the way up to HOT when driving it. I didn't think anything of it because I had just picked it up from the garage and to be quite frank, I'm not a mechanic.

4 days later, on Sunday 6/3/18, it broke down again. Same thing -- overheated. At this point, I was extremely frustrated. Because I was closer to my hometown this time, I called AAA again and had it towed to a mechanic that my family knows and trusts. He explained to me that after AAA fixed my car, it should have been test driven to see if the temperature gauge was still going up and it clearly wasn't. I feel as though something was missed or my car wasn't properly diagnosed to begin with. After paying $800 just to have your car break down 4 days later is very upsetting, to say the least.

I am so disappointed in AAA all around. My family and I have been members for many years and have paid so much money for our membership. To be treated in this way is an absolute disgrace. I am still attempting to get a refund or some sort of compensation for everything that has happened. My only hope is that this gets resolved in the near future.

Original review: June 2, 2018

AAA Auto Insurance have serviced me in CT, CA & NV for many years and have always treated me well. Agent informed me as to what I needed to do. Forms were submitted in a timely manner and claim was settled. But although service has been great the pricing is too high.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Getting the insurance was fast and the service was very friendly. I really enjoyed their towing roadside service. Seemed you could always count on AAA. Plus even if you were driving someone else's car it was covered. Also back then it was nice taking care of renewing my car's tags right at the same place. Made for a great overall one stop get it done and not have to wait in a line. Service was great as the workers were very friendly and knowledgeable and were able to set me up with what I needed. After having an incident they were quick to help me out and reassure me all would be fine. However, price of policy always seemed a little high. Of course back then I had a full time job and was able to afford having the protection.

Today I am with State Farm and they have a really great package and discounts for multi policies. I don't know if AAA does as the last time I checked with them they wouldn't take me because I had no coverage at the time. So I never went back to them. I didn't see that as a good enough reason to disqualify me. I have tried a few other companies over time. Some were good for awhile and some rates got too much. I have always been an excellent driver, so I feel I shouldn't have to pay high priced policies.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Unethical claim adjusters... caught lying to members about accident investigation. Received a letter as well as a phone conversation from opposing party insurance adjusters stating that AAA member was fully responsible for the accident. When we stated that an investigation had never been done yet so how could we be responsible, the opposing insurance adjuster said that AAA had already made the decision and phoned them. We have emails reflecting their lies to us. Shameful adjusters... definitely don't have their members' best interests in mind.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We switched to AAA after a horrible accident that was not our fault with a person who had no insurance or driver's license. The company we had was not helpful and very difficult to get a hold of and get any action. We walked into the local AAA office and they were smiling and quickly assisted us. We have had them for a year now and am very happy. We rear-ended a car with minimal damage and they handled and settled the claim for an at-fault accident quickly, making me very happy.

Original review: May 24, 2018

AAA Auto Insurance is good. It is incredible and fast of immediate response. It is the best of the best. I recommend AAA Auto Insurance totally.

Original review: May 24, 2018

AAA Auto Insurance is reasonable and work to make paying for insurance less painful. They are efficient, prompt and definitely know what they’re doing. All in all whenever I go on a search for cheaper or better I always come back to AAA.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I got a flat once and used AAA Auto Insurance and it was able to help me get through the situation right around the Christmas holidays so I was very happy about that. They were efficient.

Original review: May 23, 2018

When I came to them 2 years ago, I had very little and wanted to pay the lowest monthly rate possible. I took a $2000 deductible to get the rate. I don't know a lot about auto ins. but I remember asking if I could change the deductible when my situation improved and was assured I could. When I called my agent last year and said I was ready to lower the deductible, I was informed that unless I had repaired the problem under the car, I could not lower the deductible. It would have made a difference if someone had told me that at the time of purchase.

I live on social security and my savings went into renovating my daughter's basement into a home for me. I am 75 and no longer work. I feel trapped by the insurance company as there is no way I can come up with the deductible and my car was hit twice while I was not in it and even though I can make a claim, due to the high deductible, I am still responsible. So basically, I am paying for auto insurance I cannot utilize.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have been in transportation sales for more than 40 years travelling more than a million miles and to date have had only one minor accident which I thought was settled very favourably.

Original review: May 22, 2018

My husband was driving our lifted Jeep JK home from the shop. We had just replaced the plastic rear bumper with a new metal one and were heading home. We were in heavy stop and go commuter traffic, moving around 40 mph. We stopped. However, behind us, the pickup truck towing a landscaping trailer did not. We were hit from behind.

Initially, we thought the jeep was fine and didn't notice any damage to it after the accident but the AAA adjuster inspection report found the jeep had some damage. The truck didn't fare as well. Hitting our new rear bumper caused a lot of front end damage to his truck. His truck slide under our jeep. California is a "no fault state" for auto insurance. AAA worked with truck owner's insurance. Our claim was straightforward with no property damage or personal injury and the process was hassle free. No having to go back and forth. Our back bumper warranting a new metal one got replaced and minor crease in our tailgate got fixed. We were fortunate and very happy.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Filing a claim with AAA Auto Insurance was quick and easy. But my rates went up for the last two years because AAA had to pay out in claims. If you’re an insurance company and you have to pay out in claims people shouldn’t have to pay extra for it.

Original review: May 21, 2018

AAA is all about them, and not taking in consideration how many polices you may have with them. I have full coverage on my 4 cars and one on my home. Then on top of that you have to pay for a AAA road service policy with them at a $150.00 per year. I was backing up in my truck by a road worker because of the bad rain and the area was flooding. Then a car wasn't paying attention. We both meet together. I put a 2 inch crease in his bumper that was already dented in several areas, paint scrapings along the right side of it and a good size dent above the right side of the Quarter panel. I took pictures and made notes and comments on the picture from what I did and what was already done. I never heard back from AAA on what they did 'till I got my new policy. It went up and took a point off me. Come to find out they replaced the entire bumper against me. The claims adjuster lost the picture and didn't bother to get a hold of me for a copy.

Also I took my limited edition 2005 50th Anniversary in an authorized AAA body shop after a large truck dropped something of it's load and that knocked my side mirror off and dented the panel. After they had it for over a month I went by to check. Oh what a mess. Color didn't come anywhere near the color of the car. The AAA adjuster was pushing me to close the claim and keep working on the body shop's guarantee. After 4 more tries it still didn't match. Come to find out they had to use water base paint because California banned the paint used from Ford. I got the feeling AAA was working more for the body shop than me. He was rejecting the work I felt needed to be done. I am still unhappy. The depth of the paint on the rest of the car's stock color is deeper than the door they repainted and I was told take it up with them because the claim is closed. So do not settle your claim regardless what your AAA adjuster suggests.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I like the insurance because it is inexpensive. It was excellent for car repair and the customer service through phone is great. But at the same time, I don't expect to run into the experience of being threatened to be dropped and talked to in the manner the representative did when we asked for a quote on repairs. And having agent come out for roof replacement was horrible and demeaning. He was very rude. We also had a problem with the home ownership coverage.

Original review: May 20, 2018

AAA Auto Insurance is customer orientated and really like to help. They were fast and easy to work with. Never leave you without a doubt and that you know what's going to be happening. They go over and beyond call of duty to get you what you need. I had my claim within 30 days. Also they offer lots of benefits and that to me is a good value for the money.

Not sure about AAA Auto Insurance?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Insurance for you.

AAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AAA is officially a federation of motor clubs that offers auto insurance to drivers across America. The company now has more than 54 million members, and it operates out of its corporate headquarters in both Heathrow, FL, and Washington, D.C.

• Specialized insurance: AAA Auto Insurance offers policies to drivers of very specific types of vehicles, like classic cars.

• Educational opportunities: The company offers drivers online courses in defensive driving, which gives customers a 10% discount on their plan.

• Personal injury protection: Insurance plans cover driver and their families even if they are injured while in another person's vehicle.

• Accident Assist: People who cover their vehicles with AAA accident can take advantage of the company's Accident Assist program, which provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.

• Garage parking discount: AAA offers many unique discounts to members, including ones who choose to park their car in a protected garage rather than outside in the elements.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for reliable insurance, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers with family members.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

Heathrow
FL
www.aaa.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business