Call toll free*
Based on 132 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

AAA Auto Insurance

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Last updated: April 22, 2018

808 AAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 22, 2018

AAA has Horrible customer service and is extremely overly priced. I switched to this company instead and they offer MUCH BETTER service and discounts to their customers and they are WAY cheaper than AAA!

Original review: April 20, 2018

Since 10-02-2017 struggling for refund. SENT 4-1-18 NSF w/ penalty. AA Auto car warranty finally issued a refund 4-1-2018, that I got 4-9-18, and I deposited with less cash back. Receive notice from my bank the refund check was returned. NSF would not clear 4-10-18. Ran twice and did not clear, then ran check again 4-12-18 and did not clear, I got the copy of check back 4-16-18 and called AA Auto and they said they would reissue my check with increased $10.00 NSF I was charged. 1-800-222-4445 ext ** DENNA. She attempted to offer a direct deposit but needed my account number, and I refused to give her my bank account number. Then she offered to put the refund on my credit card but needed my credit card number to do that. I refused again and told her I wanted a Cashier’s check for my refund.

She had the least concern and told me, "We don't do cashier’s checks here. You'll just have to wait if you don't want us doing a direct deposit to your bank." End of conversation and I told her I will be looking for the refund check in the mail then. She did not say when my refund would be reissued either. I called back today 4-19 -2018. Asked when my check would be mailed and avoid to answer with reminding me, “We already talked 2 days ago about this and you will get it mailed cause you don't want us depositing it in your bank.” Again I demanded when is my check going to be mailed, when??? Then I was put on hold about a minute, and then told, the check will be mailed today (Today 4-19-2018). AA Auto refunds are sponsored with a parent company IVY LEAGUE International LTD, Longhorn, PA. 19047. The bank name Commerce no longer exist but merged under TD Bank Longhorn, PA. Phone 1-215-757-1891.

I called this bank 4-17-18 and confirmed that this account had enough to cover my bounced check and he said he did not know why that happened. Now this parent company is my next step. AA Auto has shady employees??? Question this whole heartily and there is nobody yet to fix my dilemma, and oh yes I hope the police does take action soon, I have been in contact with them as well. Nor did I get a break down of my refund calculations either.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 19, 2018 Our AAA auto insurance continued to go up since our purchase of our 2015 Durango SUV. It would have been over $1600 annually this April 2018. Both of us have excellent driving history...seniors...SUV has some of the discounted perks. The discount rates are no longer listed. When asked how much we were saving the AAA rep said it is worked into our price. "Be assured you are receiving the many discounts." With the increasingly high annual rate & lack of candor/knowledge of our policy I reviewed a few of the top ten insurance companies. Found Progressive gave us the same type of policy for over $600 less per year!! They were much more forthcoming with rates and discounts as well. What makes AAA so expensive? Certainly will be more proactive researching plans when our

Progressive plan expires to see if their rates are still competitive. Seems all insurance companies have to be watched carefully.

Original review: April 12, 2018

AAA increased my auto policy in $200 because I temporarily moved to another address for an Internship. When I came back home, SURPRISE with a $200 bill! When I sent a letter complaining about it and asking them to review it, they DID NOT ANSWER to my letter. Later, they Charged Off $184 which appeared on my credit report WITHOUT NOTICE. The AWA collections agency they used DID NOT NOTIFY me of the debt nor I received a message or letter before they decided to punish my credit score. SURPRISE costs for moving back home and for willing to talk about it. Moreover, AAA continued to bill me AFTER I suspended my insurance with them for the same reason. They asked me for proof of insurance with another company but otherwise charging me more money despite I did not want to proceed any further with their service. I used to like AAA auto insurance. Now AAA's position and attitude was RUDE and ugly.

Original review: March 22, 2018

My auto insurance premium has been increasing every 6 months. I have filed no claims during that time. Following my previous increase, I sent a message to customer support asking why and never received a reply. Six months later, my premium has increased again without explanation. I will be discontinuing all my insurance policies with AAA as soon as I am relocated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: March 9, 2018

They charge way too much to begin with. But then you notice your premiums keep going up and I'm talking by the hundreds. So you called him because you're sure it's a mistake. But they tell you no it's the interest rates... I always thought an insurance quote wasn't insurance quote. End of discussion. With AAA it's just a negotiation... They basically charge you whatever they want. Literally the worst experience with insurance I've ever had in my life and I'm not paying them a single penny of what they think I owe them because they are quite frankly out of their mind.

Original review: March 7, 2018

So my car was hit by a AAA insurance and they rented a car for me. They have contract with the local Hertz and fix the rental rate at $23 per day as the only option for me if I do not want to pay out of pocket. The experience is poor. As a commuter, I need to drive on the highway and the rental car, Corolla or Hyundai Elantra in this case, is too light and I feel shaky on the highway, given the stronger wind these days. It's been hard to communicate with them. I have their number but nobody picks up the phone. Leaving a message is just another way to get away from the claimant.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I've had AAA car insurance for a long time. In 2011, I backed my car up and my bumper touched the car parked illegally. The owner was out of the car but started screaming that I hit his car. I went and got the local police (it was at a festival). The two policemen refused to write a police report because they didn't see any damage, but told us to exchange insurance info. A few days later, AAA called about the claim and told me that the owner had claimed bodily injury. I told them that the owner was NOT in his vehicle. The AAA adjustor came to my house to check out my vehicle and then AAA called me to say that they denied the claim since there was no damage.

Five years later, I got a point on my insurance because Farmers insisted on arbitration and the arbitrators decided to give that crook $1200. And, I had someone in a parking lot hit my car but not leave a note. I got the car fixed on my collision policy with AAA and they also put a point on my insurance. If we pay for insurance, why does it cost to use it once in a while? I think AAA is crooked in doing this. If I had paid cash for the repair, it would have cost less than the AAA premium increase for the three years that they increased what I owed.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Today I simply wished to pay my insurance bill for the year in full, to avoid the unwarranted interests rates AAA charges. I had no problem on my end (adequate funds, etc.) and simply wished to give AAA my money. It took ONE HOUR AND TWENTY MINUTES before I found someone (the fourth person I spoke to) capable of assisting me with this basic task. I am SHOCKED at the incompetence and rudeness I experienced today, and was a hair's width away from canceling my policy. --- Details --- First of all, the website I received the initial phone no. from was for Northern Cal, and not So. Cal, without mentioning the fact. Five minutes wasted. Next, I called the proper So Cal number and was put on hold for 15 more minutes wasted. I hung up and called my local branch directly.

The person I spoke to made no mention that he would put me on hold but then did so, 10 more mins wasted. Next, I called back got hold of an agent, explained the situation and he made ZERO attempt to apologize for my wasted time. His name was Faun **, (San Diego branch) he was incompetent, unable to process my payment via the phone, despite my having ample funds, and unable to suggest anything except for calling me a liar (suggesting I didn't have the money I claimed to) and also that I should drive down to process the payment in person. I told him this was absurd got heated, and he hung up on me. Unbelievable. He should be fired straight up.

The next person I spoke to was polite, but also incompetent, unable to explain how I could navigate the website, and unable to process my payment. - FINALLY I spoke to a supervisor, who was able to help me in minutes, explaining that the website was on lock for payments because of a recent auto pay I made, and that he could take my payment via check, but not my debit card, despite these being the same account. This is the experience I should have had from the start. The website also, should inform you of the fact that auto-payments negate the ability to pay a bill online.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Even before my car was taken to the body shop for assessment, they were foreshadowing that the car would be totaled! If the repairs of your vehicle exceed its value, the auto is totaled! Nowhere in that calculation is replacement value. This is an unfair practice. But at least I could reach a human being!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Used to have an agent to speak to but now nothing and not much help and overcharged. Feel cheated when have Premier service and get ripped off. Have extended car and it is not honored. Often it is sent after the fact. Often they say it has not been received.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Been with AAA Auto Insurance for 30+ years... not the cheapest but never any issues. Filing a claim is easy and being a consumer-owned group, they cater to the policyholder. They have great service, good website and knowledgeable USA based phone center. Along with home and auto insurance they also offer low-cost earthquake insurance in conjunction with my homeowner policy.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

We are completely satisfied with AAA. We have our home and vehicles insured with them. After a forest fire, they sent e-mails to their customers offering assistance for filing claims if needed. Fortunately, we did not need to. The fire did not reach our neighborhood. Our claim (3 times) were for windshields and all claims were handled quickly and professionally.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

If you want lose $$ insurance your car with them. They charge you an amount to start your policy and around $350.00 for early cancellation. 11% which it's not describe it in paperwork they send you. WATCH READ FIRST. Associates never mention to you any of this.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I tried to contact AAA for over 30 minutes for roadside service. The engine in our 2015 Equinox blew up on the interstate and I was stranded in 9-degree weather off the side of the interstate. I was put on hold the first time for 15 minutes and no one ever answered. I called back a second time and it was 30 minutes on hold and never was able to reach a roadside service customer. This was a sunny weekday about 10:30 in the morning so not a high peak time. I finally decided to go to OnStar and they answered within 5 minutes and had a tow truck there within 15-20 minutes. I never was able to speak with AAA and was quite disappointed in their service. I will think twice when renewal time comes around.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

AAA Auto Insurance has fairly good rates and very good customer service. I have used this insurance company for about 4 years, interacted with them by phone for changes, explanations, etc and the assistance was completely satisfactory, have not filed claims so far.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I used my AAA service calls, one was for a new AAA battery installed. Today, No crank, no lights/no start. Most likely battery that's fairly new and completely under warranty. I either have to pay for the service call but if I quit and go with a new Auto Service Membership they will NOT HONOR THE 3 year full replacement warranty per "Don". I have been a member for 34 years, and have noticed a real decline in customer service from Triple A, that extends to their service providers. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Over the past eight years, I have filed three claims, two with this company, one with another. Also, two were no fault and one was mine. From start to finish, AAA was always in touch with me from the date of initial claim all of the way through the end. They were courteous and efficient and worked closely with the body repair shop. The claim was processed quickly and I cannot speak highly enough about them. But AAA did increase my premium immensely after the 2nd accident, so I switched to Hartford and after about three years had the third accident which was no fault. It took me almost three months to get my car repaired after that. What a difference a company makes!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

While it was easy to file a claim, when my vehicle was struck in a parking lot, unfortunately it was never processed correctly. They were adding marks on my driving record even though I was not in the vehicle at the time! Not cool!!! Also, they have done everything they can to force me to remain locked into their catastrophically high rates for simply going to the store for food and medications, when I was not at fault for any of the accidents they are incorrectly assigning to me. Heck, I would like to know how I can be charged for an accident when I was not even in the vehicle, nor able to be in it within the month they say I had an accident when I was confined in the hospital giving birth to a precious child?!

Forget the facts much, AAA insurance? Hope you can appreciate it when people cancel their membership with a corporation of thieves! Anyone asks me, I will tell them to avoid AAA insurance at all costs, even if it is the last insurance company on earth! Bunch of corrupt thieves taking the very food from the mouths of children so that the mother can work herself to death to pay for insurance just to get to work!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Every time we move we shop around the insurance anyway, but auto policy or combined with the homeowner's policy, we ended up with AAA in 3 states. The combined the policy with AAA membership beats others combined with my driving and claims history. For the famous Texas hail damaged to the roof, they had a separate estimator and adjuster does the work for AAA. The very close communication makes appointment better not the disappointment. My agent is also so diligent and punctual, any question or quote, renewal, she gets in touch with me at the right timing.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Been with AAA Auto Insurance for years and have an agent who really looks out for me. I love having an agent who knows my needs. When I went through my divorce many years ago and ended up having to pay for my ex's insurance until he got the vehicle repossessed. It was a tough time for me but Shane helped me through all of this with ease. Filing a claim was very efficient and hassle-free. There was less stress which is good when you have just had an accident. Thanks!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

AAA Auto Insurance handled all claims and gave us a fair value for the car without argument. Family had a wreck with minor injury but totaled car. Called AAA and gave them the basics like the who, what, when, where and how, and they did the rest. They gave me a claim number to give to all claimants involved. Any bills or statements I received, I just faxed them on to AAA with the claim number on it.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

After 12 years they sent my renewal check back and said I overpaid them when in fact they cancelled for non-renewal. Didn't tell me for 2 months. I'm still paying and riding around in a new car and get a phone call informing me of the cancellation. New policy would be nearly a $1000 a year more because I no longer qualified for my longevity discount. #SCAMMENOT2.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I've been with Triple A for many years, and customer service was always great, Until now. I got a notice in the mail that a point was added and I have a $95 rate increase. How can I be punished for a violation that doesn't exist officially? My rep was not helpful, and unknowledgeable on the subject Now and I have to wait 48 hours on a manager to call back. I'll be changing insurance carriers. Yes I got a ticket, the ticket was thrown out. They raised my rates on a non existent conviction. Thumbs down on Triple A, I'm done with them.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

On December 29th 2017 I called AAA for lockout road service. The temperature was minus 10. I waited 25 minutes to get connected to a live a service rep. The rep I spoke to was horrible. I had to repeat my member number 3 or 4 times. I also had to repeat the location address 3 times as well as the city. I was asked to spell New York. She misidentified me even though I had given my info 3 times. I finally asked her to write my information down. I waited 1 hour for the service truck to arrive. With no show I called AAA and was told that I was listed in Schenectady not Saratoga where I was. After another 25 minutes the service finally arrived. I went to the local office... AAA Northway and spoke to Frank **, Manager and was given a form to fill out to send to Schenectady.

I wanted to cancel my membership and get a refund. Membership was a month old. Frank said he was unable to do anything for me. I sent the form via certified mail to AAA Schenectady and have not received a reply as of 1/31/18. Stay away from AAA...they do not provide the services as outlined in their contract. They have incompetent people working for them and appear not to have a resolution procedure available for members complaints about the initial contact and request for service.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I'm extremely unhappy with the service I'm receiving from both of your claim adjusters Mona ** and Owen **. First of all my car was stolen and was found the next day and the motor wasn't running right. It was running fine the last time I used my car which was the Same day it was stolen. I have full coverage on both of my vehicles. So when my car was found I had it towed to Antioch Dealership. The diagnosis was they said it was from wear and tear but my complaint is that the car was not in my possession when this happened so I don't feel it's fair that I have to pay to put a new motor in my car because it wasn't my fault. That's one complaint. The other complaint is when I talk to Mona ** she was not very professional. I call and leave messages and she doesn't call back. The results I got for my car took one month.

I don't understand what took so long and I was never contacted like I should have been and told what was going on. I kept having to call AAA to find out anything. When I wasn't getting information I needed from Moana ** I asked for her supervisor's number. She said her supervisor his name is Owen **. I called him to get information out of him and he kept telling me he didn't have the information but then all of a sudden he pulled it up and said he had it but that all he could tell me was that my car was a loss. It couldn't be fixed through AAA and he couldn't explain to me what the problem was. He kept telling me that I will get the letter in the mail explaining what was wrong with the motor. Also being disrespected by him yelling at me, raising his voice and I don't understand why. I was extremely upset from the results of the car and extremely upset because AAA isn't going to take care of the problem.

I want to go higher up with a different supervisor or superintendent. Somebody that can handle the situation better. Someone needs to talk to these two people because they're rude and disrespectful and I do not deserve to be treated this way. I've had insurance for very long time. Always gone back to AAA and now I'm tempted to go somewhere else. I still haven't got my car back. Now I have to have it towed to a different place to have it fixed and pay for it with my own money. This is not fair. Why do I pay full coverage insurance and I feel like I'm getting punished for something I didn't do I had no control over. I wish someone that had professional experience could call me and talk to me about this situation that I'm extremely unhappy about.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

They were fast, efficient and fair. I would recommend them simply because the AAA discount more than pays for AAA membership which can be handy. But they go up in price every year even though I'm a good customer and insurance rates experienced a dip in my area.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

DO NOT USE AAA- I added a vehicle onto my policy and then after I cancelled my policy because AAA was 50% higher than other car insurance policies, AAA sent me an outrageous bill. I have never had any claims and they are just out to rip you off. I originally gave them a chance to do better on their pricing and their response was "We don't do that". They are arrogant and feel like they can get away with anything.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I have been a member for *50 years* this year, and my husband even longer. Starting about two years ago I began having problems with their billing system. I cannot even begin to say how they screwed up our policies, and this past summer sent a certificate of insurance on one of my vehicles, stating that my son was the new owner. That vehicle was sitting in my garage, I never sold to him or anyone. Then they cancelled the insurance on his wife's car. When I asked where they got such erroneous info from, they told me that the Secretary of State told them. I laughed at such ridiculousness, since there is no way they do that. I then asked AAA if they took the SOS's ''word for it" without any proof on my end, and was told "yes."

I even called SOS to find out, and the person could not believe what I was saying. A few months later when I talked to someone else at AAA, and told him what happened, he said that I was given the wrong info and that someone there had made an error... Of course no one would admit it. I just wonder how in the world they came up with it in the first place. I also wonder, how many other members have had this happen or worse. Their billing system is sub par, when it comes to their AAA Master Card division. They claim they do not work together when it comes to recording of monthly payment premiums, and have screwed up mine royally. I am so fed up with how lax AAA has become, that I am looking around for other companies.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I have been a Minnesota AAA member for years. I have always found the customer service staff and people providing roadside assistance to be very helpful, professional and generally decent people. I called AAA on 1/4/2018. I called and told an operator I needed a tow to a service shop about 15 minutes away. I asked her to quote me a price for additional mileage for going outside my plan (5 mile max tow). When I asked about the extra fee to have it towed I contemplated going to a higher plan but she stated I could go to a higher level plan but I would have to wait 72 hours.

I said I had an appointment to get my car fixed at 9 the next day. So, I opted to pay to have a tow take me the additional distance without changing my plan. She stated there would be a delay. I called at 6:40 PM that night. I did not hear from anyone from AAA the rest of the night. They stated that they called and left messages for me at 11 PM and 12:20 AM. I have a phone plan that records transcripts of voicemail messages left for me. None of those calls resulted in them leaving me a message and the audio voicemail confirmed that no messages were left.

So, the next day I asked why someone was calling me at 12:20 AM? I stated that a 12:20 AM call would only wake me. And that I was upset they could not have called earlier in the evening if they knew they were going to be that late. I then told them I had to cancel my appointment with the mechanic. I stated that since AAA is the one who did not show for the tow and did not make an effort to contact me in a timely way I should be able to upgrade my membership and not have to wait 72 hours. A customer service person stated she could make it active so that I could use it on Sunday morning (I called on Friday morning).

When I called on Sunday morning I was told that I had to wait until Monday to use the long distance tow. I told them that I had been on the last call to AAA for over an hour and the only reason I waited to call them because I told them I could not use the service until Sunday morning. My last call to AAA customer service was at 2 or 3 PM Sunday. Someone was supposed to be looking into calls of past customer service staff but after approximately 75 minutes my cell phone died. I wound up driving my car to the shop and not using the towing service. On Monday I called the Burnsville, MN office to complain.

They referred me to someone in Michigan. This person has not called me back and it has been over a week since I called her. Also, throughout this process I was told that AAA had a record number of service calls. They asked me to be understanding of their situation. I was understanding but when I asked them to show me the same consideration for me and my situation they could not accommodate me. What is considered a "reasonable" amount of time to wait for a tow... 1 hour, 5 hours, 18 hours? My problem was not the fact that they had delays but how poorly they communicated with me throughout all of this. And, how they either did not coordinate with each other to make sure notes were passed on to others or simply did not call me in a reasonable amount of time. I am sorry but calling me for 5 seconds and then trying to leave a message at 12:20 AM is not making a reasonable effort to communicate with me.

AAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AAA is officially a federation of motor clubs that offers auto insurance to drivers across America. The company now has more than 54 million members, and it operates out of its corporate headquarters in both Heathrow, FL, and Washington, D.C.

• Specialized insurance: AAA Auto Insurance offers policies to drivers of very specific types of vehicles, like classic cars.

• Educational opportunities: The company offers drivers online courses in defensive driving, which gives customers a 10% discount on their plan.

• Personal injury protection: Insurance plans cover driver and their families even if they are injured while in another person's vehicle.

• Accident Assist: People who cover their vehicles with AAA accident can take advantage of the company's Accident Assist program, which provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.

• Garage parking discount: AAA offers many unique discounts to members, including ones who choose to park their car in a protected garage rather than outside in the elements.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for reliable insurance, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers with family members.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky