3.9/5 (666 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About AAA Auto Insurance

AAA provides automobile insurance to its members through 50+ regional branches nationwide. The company offers multiple coverage types, but its auto insurance is available only to paid AAA members. All AAA memberships come with several perks and discount opportunities, but coverage options differ by location.

Pros

• Well-established company
  • Several discount opportunities
  • Membership comes with other perks

Cons

• Must have an AAA membership
  • Coverage offerings differ by branch

Bottom Line

AAA has provided Americans with auto insurance for over a century and has more than 50 branches countrywide. Its auto coverage requires a paid AAA membership, which includes access to various perks and discounts.

Top AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Their customer service is top notch. I 'bundle' my auto and home insurance, and no matter what the claim is, someone is always available to help. I've been a customer for years, a...

Verified

AAA is awesome. The process of filing a claim is easy and the representative was very helpful. It was settled quickly and I was able to buy a new car within a few weeks. Also, the...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

What is AAA insurance?

AAA (the American Automobile Association) has been insuring Americans since 1902 and operates in more than 50 independent branches across the country. Since its inception, the company has been known for its automobile and driver safety services. Along with auto insurance, it provides homeowners, health and life coverage and more. It also offers insurance add-ons and policy bundles.

How does AAA auto insurance work?

To qualify for AAA auto insurance policies, you must be a AAA member. A membership also comes with perks like discounts on movies, hotels, rentals and more. Auto policy coverage and discount options vary slightly from branch to branch, but each AAA location offers all the standard coverage:

• Collision
  • Comprehensive
  • Liability
  • Medical payments
  • Personal injury protection
  • Underinsured motorist
  • Uninsured motorist

You can also add several coverage options to your policy. Your local branch could offer:

• Accident forgiveness
  • Custom electronics
  • Loan/lease payoff
  • New vehicle replacement
  • Pet coverage
  • Rental car reimbursement
  • Roadside assistance

You can also bundle home and auto policies to save more — depending on your location and insurer, you might be able to add life insurance to your bundle. Other insurance options some AAA clubs offer:

• Collector car
  • Renters
  • Pet
  • Travel
  • Umbrella

AAA auto insurance quotes and rates

AAA membership starts as low as $50 per year and increases depending on your location and selected services. Insurance rates also vary greatly person to person. Your AAA car insurance quote depends on various factors, such as age, location, driving history, credit score and more.

AAA also offers multiple discount possibilities. You could qualify for discounts like:

• Advanced purchase
  • Paid-in-full
  • Vehicle safety equipment
  • Theft recovery devices

AAA auto insurance FAQ

What does AAA auto insurance cover?
AAA offers a variety of coverage options, including collision, comprehensive, liability, rental car reimbursement and more.
What does AAA comprehensive coverage offer?
AAA’s comprehensive coverage pays for vehicle damages from disasters and mishaps like animal collisions, earthquakes, fallen objects and more, while the collision option covers damage if you’ve hit another object (car, mailbox, wall, etc.) or flipped over.
How much does AAA full coverage insurance cost?
Your AAA auto insurance costs depend on several factors, including your location. You have to be an AAA member to benefit from its insurance, so make sure to factor in membership costs ($50+ per year).
Can I cancel AAA auto insurance?
Yes. AAA offers a flexible cancellation policy, so you can cancel over the phone, by email or in person.

Is AAA a good car insurance?

AAA has been insuring American drivers for over a century. For some, it might not be worth it to pay a membership fee for car insurance — but AAA’s discounts and general benefits might balance out membership costs. Overall, AAA might not be the best choice for someone looking for bare-bones coverage, considering the added cost of a membership fee; however, if you want full coverage, policy bundle options and extra perks, AAA might meet your needs.

AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

My parked car was hit by their client 8/24/22, whom left the location. She did leave her contact info and luckily there was an officer nearby that saw her. He made the call to her and advised her to return to the location. I've made several attempts to contact the adjuster @AAA.After a month of not being able to get my calls answered, or my VM or emails that returned, I asked for his Mgr and as of today I've yet to speak to either.

The only information CS provides is that the adjuster can't reach their client. I've provided the police report and photos of my vehicle as well as their client w/ her vehicle. The Agent also stated that if they don't speak with their client, they will just simply not pay my claim and send their client a letter, and that I should repair my own vehicle and wait for repayment??Today is 10/28 over 60 days and I have received 0 communication of any sort from AAA ST. Petersburg, FL office. I find it peculiar that many others seem to be experiencing the same treatment.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

I had AAA for a year. Called them one time for a flat tire and they never showed up, I will never use them again, just a waste of time and money....do not spend money on liars like AAA. The company should be called FFF for failure to show up.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

AAA is a terrible insurance company. We were hit by a customer of AAA and they denied our claim because they suggested that there wasn't enough damage. Marina ** at ** and Chelsea ** at ** are terrible people to deal with and denied our claim without giving sufficient reasons. They clearly will do whatever is needed not to pay out insurance claims. If you are looking for an insurance company, DO NOT USE AAA.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I am dealing with a claim right now. Good luck getting one on the phone. I've only lucked out of reaching a live person 2 out of every 10 calls made, and they NEVER return your call back. I'm sitting on a claim for almost 30 days because they can't reach their insured. They sent a person out to the insured's house and the claim agent doesn't have a status of that. I was told that it will be 2 days before they can get in touch with the person who went to the insured driver's house. How hard should it be to pick up a phone and call the person who went out? They can't get in touch with their insured driver, and they can't tell me what the protocol is if they are unable to get in touch. Their claim adjusters are highly inefficient.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

I've had AAA for a few months now. I called to change my due date from the end of the month to the beginning of the month & was told "no problem". My due date was on the 25th originally and I called in way before then. Then I discovered my monthly amount went from $107 to $142 and was told that by changing the due date, it changed the number of payments causing it to increase! What? I was NEVER told that would happen and why would it happen if I am paying in the same month but just changing the date? I then said to change the date back and was assured it was done. Well it was NOT done! Then they never took the Aug payment out when I was assured they would so now they are billing me $142 on Sept 3 and $117 on Sept 25 telling me that 1st pmt is because Aug wasn't taken out! Well, whose fault is that when it automatically comes out?

I have spoken to at least 4 different people including 2 supervisors and I feel not one of them care or know their job as each one tells me something different and tells me my requests have been done and completed when they have not been! I can not even imagine the nightmare they would be if I had a claim! So I am dropping them!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

Had a very horrible experience, we thought getting insurance through them was going to be nice but turns out they don't even know how to do their job, they neglect putting the right info down saying were in a different state than what we are, and now we have to pay a large fine and take a vehicle of the road for 60 days because of their negligence, they refuse to fix it or help us, if you're gonna screw good people over you shouldn't be working for an insurance company.

Original review: July 25, 2022

I’ve had AAA auto insurance for 6 years now, and moved to Arkansas recently. Called today to update my information and found out they gave me the wrong membership number and when trying to click on my info someone else’s name and info came up. So apparently if I had tried to use the service I would have been refused and I was paying for someone else’s membership for 6 years? When asked about it the woman laughed it off and wouldn’t give me a straight answer. The membership is over $50 a year, so I’m beyond upset with AAA right now, how long would I have gone paying for service I wasn’t getting if I hadn’t called?

Original review: July 14, 2022

Are all companies associated with helping the elderly, in particular, just out to swindle money away from them for a service that is nonexistent? AAA has made my growing list of companies, that I have found out since becoming permanently disabled, to swindle and financially abuse their elderly (or in my case disabled) clients. I have been with them for car insurance and also paid extra for their RV roadside services. Of the 4 times I needed them, only 1 time was I able to get assistance and get a tow truck. Even then, I still paid out of pocket. My question, really, is what was I paying for? I couldn't get help twice for a flat tire, once for hail damage to my windshield. I had enough when I checked around for insurance quotes due to moving to a new state and I found out how much more I was spending but I wasn't getting any of the extra service.

I called today to make sure it would not auto renew and the male I spoke with was absolutely RUDE! He kept talking over me, would not fully listen, and repeated questions. He acted like I was an absolute bother to him and he had way more important things to do. He didn't ask why I was leaving AAA, probably because I am not the only one jumping ship. Nor did he thank me for being a customer for the last 3 years. I do still have life insurance thru them but I will be looking into other companies for that as well. I am very disappointed. You are paying extra for nothing with AAA. The only way I would come back is if they take a serious look at their customer service (or lack of) and their pricing. They just don't care about their customers. They only care about taking their customer's money.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I think AAA auto insurance is depending exclusively on their historically "good" reputation to remain in business because their actual Claims process is absolutely horrendous! Yes, their roadside assistance is great, but if something should ever happen and you need to make a claim, you're left totally stranded. I have comprehensive insurance, and my catalytic converter was stolen from my vehicle overnight in February. It was a holiday so I wasn't able to call to start a claim until 2 days later. I wasn't even able to leave a message right when it happened.. Then, when I was finally assigned to a claims adjuster after calling again on the 3rd day, I have left calls, voicemails, sent emails, and even called the adjuster's direct supervisor multiple times with NO RESPONSE.

It is now early May and I have yet to get a single message or response telling me at what stage my claim is in. AAA auto insurance is automatically taking my automated monthly insurance payments, and yet it's almost a joke, because I wonder whether I would have been better off uninsured based off the level of communication or help I'm actually receiving. I even went into the local AAA insurance office in my area in person, to see if I could at least speak to a human instead of their terrible purgatory loop that is their automated robotic phone-system.. and the friendly local agent was unable to help me at all. Their best advice was to just continue to call and leave voicemails, and email my adjustor until I was able to reach someone. If I would have known AAA was going to be this unresponsive when I'm paying for appropriate coverage, I would never have signed on with them to begin with!

Original review: March 24, 2022

I switched from AAA insurance to another provider. They sent me 2 months' bills. As I did not recognize the debt, they sent me to collections. Seems likely the collection company belongs to AAA business.

AAA Auto Insurance Company Information