AAA Auto Insurance
  • 1 star
Based on 143 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AAA Auto Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 7, 2017

764 AAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I removed coverage. While in their office I was specifically told how much my payments would be and that I would not even have to make a payment in November as I had made overpayment. Then received a bill in the mail in December for $75 more a month. Then I'm supposed to be paying and when I call them they tried to say that I underpaid, I missed a payment and they had no record of my visit in their office in October, I feel this is very bad business practice and this is not the first time they have done something like this to me. I feel like I'm being stolen from and there's nothing I can do about it and we'll be looking for a new car insurance company as I am fed up with AAA Auto Insurance. Bad Business practice.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I was involved over the weekend in an accident where I was rear ended. I had a witness who gave a statement and AAA agent lied to me about my witnesses statement to try and make it my fault to raise my premiums. Should have never left USAA. Getting an attorney now! This is the 2nd time this has happened to me with AAA. Their agents have a script of garbage to tell you to make you think you have no case! Cancelling my Auto Club membership and auto insurance. They are scammers and should not be able to do business in this country!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I received a false insurance quote from Jessica ** of AAA. Then after I gave her my billing information, and all, her quote went up from around thirty three dollars to around thirty nine dollars. She insisted I switch from Liberty Mutual, who is superior, to Triple A, and pay more for it. That does not make any sense, and when I complained to The Department of Insurance, she lied of course. Nobody beats Liberty Mutual, and my reason for this review is that I am angry with Triple A, for stooping so low, and wasting my precious time. They should listen to their tape recorded phone calls, instead of taking the word of their employees, or anyone else for that matter. The Department of Insurance should NOT make false assumptions, and allow their clients to respond, before closing a case in favor of AAA. The calls ARE supposed to be recorded!!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Always received mail to join AAA, so after some thought and 3 vehicles I decided to join and choose the Plus membership for $94.00 (to get more mileage for towing). Will NOT renew. They use contractors and do not communicate with a customer. First tech came out from KAM. What a disgusting, rude, disrespectful and unprofessional person. He was shaking his head as I told him I requested my car to be towed to my house. So what the battery is dead, why would have I waited to get a jump??? Duh, I know it’s more than the battery, so he just looked like he did not want to do the job. His whole demeanor said it all. I already was pissed from the call with the 2 agents as they do not explain why they ask so many questions. I just want my car towed to my house, can we get that done please?!? Don’t tell me how long I been a member blah. Are you able to assist me? That’s all.

Needless to say, the tech was just so ugh. I became uncomfortable and my gut feeling said, "Nope. Cancel!!!" I went home after waiting almost 2 and half hours. Why pay so much money for crappy tech and service??! An hour later I requested a tow and KAM company again accepted the call but a different guy came out. He was very very helpful, informative and telling me all what he was doing.

The first guy was a true **. He must NOT like his job. He even told me why he was doing it because I am a “woman" and women need to know that way there isn’t no misunderstandings. Very nice guy. But too bad. Next year for renewal forget AAA. I WILL NOT RENEW due to their sorry way of not communicating and poor service. Oh and I used TWO tows not one on that same day. Was I able to get it revised? Nope. Just money hungry company that do not value customers or understanding. I received no confirmation number on the call, no name of tech. No courtesy call to tell me he was in route or late. Nothing. Second guy, yes. He was very very nice.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

You want to save money, right? Me too. Most of states, insurance companies provide you "loyalty discount" longer you stay with them, but some states they don't. After I researched, I found out AAA do in my state too. I went to AAA office to get quote. I provided personal information include violation information. Based on your traffic tickets, I clearly understand my premium rate go up. One of question is how many mileage I drive. Most of people claim for about 12,000 per year unless you know you drive a lot more than this.

Also they asked for how many mileage you do have now. You think they start to calculate your estimate yearly mileage start from effective date, right? The answer is NO. They have access to your latest smog test record and get mileage information. Your "estimated yearly mileage calculation " is based on between the day you had smog test and the date you get quote. I had smog test on 8/1. I got quote on 11/1. So based on mileage between 8/1-11/1, they will calculate your "estimated yearly mileage " so if you had driven many mileage for traveling or guests were in the town on this period, it will affect you "AT TIME of underwriting process of your policy". They do not calculate for you at time you get quote. And you see this effect AFTER you signed paperwork. Also they will not explain to you that they really access to your record and calculate your "estimated yearly mileage".

So on first statement, I see $470 increase. What you do? I contacted with my agent. According to agent, estimate is based on your driving behavior. Well, why they don't give me a quote based on how underwriter calculate mileage instead of asking me "what is your yearly estimated mileage“??? Then, they will tell you that cancelation fee is 11% of your annual premium if you cancel for your first year and they re-calculate your policy as short term policy and charge at refund process. So I had 2 peoples on my policy. My early termination fee itself end up $300. Just be aware, they know what they are doing. That is why they set up 11% of early termination fee for first year to make sure you are locked with them even though your rate go up for any reason.

Conclusion: AAA has early termination fee for 11% of your annual premium amount only for first year and also they re-calculate your policy as short term policy and charge you for remaining balance if you request to cancel. AAA has access to your actual mileage from smog test, and calculate your estimated yearly mileage is based on between the day of smog test and quote day when underwriter process your policy, but they don't do same method when they give you a quote. I never heard any of insurance company really calculate your mileage with using smog test record.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I was the victim of a AAA insured driver who decided to whip an illegal u-turn right into my lane from behind a row of stopped cars (couldn't see him at all until in my lane). AAA took full responsibility for the accident (which I happened to have on video). They fairly quickly settled on my vehicle (motorcycle - totaled), but the rest of my claim (all of my gear - which saved them thousands upon thousands of potential medical bills) is STILL dragging on! I've had to eat the bill for replacing all of it, but they are just dragging their feet. All calls and voicemails are just ignored. Everything has been submitted to them two months ago (took them 2 months to request everything they "needed"), but still sitting here holding my bill with nothing from them. About ready to have my lawyer give them a ring...

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Very Disappointed and Upset how Cesar handled my application. So unprofessional when asking for a quote to compare, I signed up and he took my payment that day. 2 weeks later I called to ask where my ins cards for proof was and he said, "Oh there’s an increase. It’s bounded." He had over 2 weeks to straighten this out and he did nothing, while I canceled my other ins thinking I was receiving a better rate, no follow up and if they hire people like that, I would and decided to do business elsewhere, terrible terrible terrible service. :(

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

When I first called to get a insurance's quote I was given a great price compared to others. Everything was done by phone and email. Never had to leave home. Insurance started immediately and always had good services with customer service when called.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

NEVER EVER USE AAA!!!! They are the absolute WORST insurance company I have ever dealt with!!! I cancelled my insurance with them and they still proceeded to take money out and claim that I OWE THEM!!! Owe you???? How do I owe money when they take it out every month and I CANCELLED my policy!!! On top of that, every single month there was a different amount taken out, never consistent. I have called for a week straight and every single person told me something different, and now I’m being told I’m not getting my money back!!! Over $500 they are STEALING from me!!! Such a ridiculous insurance agency. 0 stars!!!! HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!! Only getting 1 star because I can’t put ZERO.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017
If you think AAA takes care of you and helps make you safe on the road... think again. Our Land Cruiser was being towed home for a simple broken fan belt, but the tow truck driver smashed it into a parked car. Both cars were totaled! It happened over a month ago and we are still haggling over the value of our truck.

The owner of the parked car was completely fleeced. She could not replace her car with the money she received from their insurance company. No one was fighting for her to get the value of her car.

We are fighting for the value of our auto, with no help from AAA. They have left the building. The tow truck company is smarmy and AAA is not holding them to any standard of treatment of their customer. It seems to me they should work together to take care of the customer. We assumed we were protected from smarmy stuff like this because we were AAA members. But AAA told us all they do is refer a tow truck company and they have nothing else to do with the matter. Maybe AAA should vet the tow truck companies they send out to their customers! Ya think? Maybe they should make sure their customer has a decent experience with their roadside assistance and make sure they are reputable. If they just use random tow companies you don't know who they might send! Dracula? Or a buffoon, like we got. I expected better. I thought we were protected somehow by the AAA on our window. NOT.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

They are not the cheapest, but if you combine home and auto, you get a better rate. When I first applied for their insurance, and needed to separate my daughters to their own plans, and we had some out of the ordinary situation going on, the salesperson was extremely patient and helpful. Their customer service is very good, friendly and attentive as well.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Expect to spend a minimum of 45 minutes on the phone anytime you call AAA insurance. No one knows what they are doing. You tell them the reason for the call and then you are on hold forever! They do not follow through on what you ask. They misapply payments and then cancel policies when they made their error!! It is a real dog and pony show and no one seems to be able to fix it. The rates are good but the aggravation will give you a stroke! I dare not guess what would happen if you had a claim - that is probably a nightmare with them. If I could give them 0 stars I would.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

My agent took the time to fully explain my policy, coverage, and the full benefits afforded me through this service. He fully answered any and all of my questions. Also the company had full endorsement from family members, who have enjoyed a long and beneficial relationship with AAA auto insurance. Their ratings were on the scale of excellent service on all fronts, from claims to towing, to rental car provision.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Have been paying for my non owner policy since 2013. When time rises for coverage. They ran into bushes. Bunch of scammer. I requested all of them from supervisor to local club to provide me their legal dept whom I can sent my court papers. No one wanted to give. They said, "We don't know." At last I got in touch with my legal council and dept of insurance who guided me to trace contact address so I can bring them in front of judge. They have been dragging this damn claim since last yr and now they put collection agency on me. I definitely want judge to decide. They kept me in dark. Agent told me I am covered with this policy to drive borrowed car and denied to pay other party claim which was also AAA. Careful. They are cheater. You never know what comes to you if you are insured by them. Your money is going down the drain with no coverage. They can screw you.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Compared to other companies they are more expensive with the exception if you get the liability only which I did before I had bought a new used vehicle. They also offer DMV services in California, which is absolutely wonderful. They were also helpful and supportive with my claim and even though it was my fault they were kind and understanding. They did raise my rates however after my claim which wasn't even all that much money. It just doesn't seem to matter If you have a good driving record.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

While I've not specifically dealt with AAA for car insurance purposes, the rate they're charging me is quite hefty: A little over $100/month for a 2012 Toyota Corolla which I sometimes don't even drive for two days straight and, when I do, it's for limited distances. Thank goodness I haven't had to submit a claim or else that'd just dig deeper into my already stretched thin wallet. I'm likely switching to Esurance next year for automobile coverage. Just looked up a quote with my current stats and that plan should cost me at least $30 less per month. That appears far more doable for a relatively new car than paying an arm and a leg through AAA. I'll still use AAA for roadside assistance but odds are never again for automobile.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I called AAA to schedule a tow. Tow was scheduled at 12:34pm. At 5:05pm they still have not picked up my car. The towing service they used was Kriss Tow out of Snellville GA. I will NEVER use Triple A again. It was the worst experience in my life. I plan to post on every social media outlet available to me about my experience. Be careful... as I said I will NEVER use Triple A.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

It took 2 and half months of message emails phone calls till I finally threatened to call corporate to report him (Doug) to cancel policies. He did have proof of new Insurance. Dealing with this company was a nightmare! Worst-I have a flood policy on my house it has to be paid a full year upfront, it renews on Oct 29 a Sunday reason I started the process 2 months ago. This morning "Saturday" I was told by AAA they can't cancel the policy till I proved it was paid a full year, they have my money that should have been sent to my new insurance Co so it would be paid a year in advance. So now I'm paying another year $500 and have to wait till they want to send me my money back. Which I'm sure is going to be a fight. They won't cancel policies to keep customers, I hope What has happened to will keep as many people from using this co.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have had AAA for 24 years and they have always been late when I make a call for assistance. But tonight takes the cake. I am still waiting and it has been over 4 hours! Every time I call they tell me the tow truck is "on location". As I am sitting in the dark, I can attest they still are not here. I have now called a tow truck and they are supposedly in route. AAA has really failed me. I WAS in a safe location and now it is not. Too bad they no longer care about the members. Without members, who would pay their salary?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I moved from my old insurance company which whom I had been insured for 10 years. After joining AAA, my nightmares started. I only have complain and dissatisfaction against one agent - Tyler **. Racist, arrogant, egoistic, pathetic individual. Took my credit card and vanished. Never returned my calls, voice mails, emails etc. for a month and when my policy got cancelled because this dumb ass forgot to submit my policy documents, he didn't even inform me of it and I got a cancellation letter in my mail. I will never recommend AAA to anyone and especially talking or even doing business with this particular agent - TYLER **.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

AAA customer made a left hand turn (not wide enough) and smacked right into me! He got out stating how sorry he was and everything. Gave his ins. info. He was an older guy. He didn't have a cell phone. I allowed him to use mine to call his family. We then went to the police dept to file a report. We both said what happened and it was done! Or so I thought. Monday I called AAA to touch base. Karen says "he is saying you hit him". I'm like, “WHAT? You are serious?” So then she says "once we get the report and the ppl look at both cars it will be determined who hit who and who was moving.” I say ok great! It will show and prove everything I'm saying and what he put in the report!!!

Mind you he is Asian so but he understood what was being said and what he was saying and his daughter came. She went to the police station as well. Now Karen said "well he said that wasn't what he told the police" so maybe he didn't understand what she was saying and he's going to the station to change it. I said that's BS!!! All this is coming now because it was determined he hit me and I was still. So now my ins. co. State Farm is going after him and AAA but in the meantime I have to pay $500 deductible to get my car fixed so not fair!!! DON’T FOOL WITH AAA INSURANCE. THEY'RE A JOKE.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I have been separated from my wife for 8 months and she took care of all our bills and insurances. I recently had the most minor fender bender and when I called triple A they told me that my wife had removed my car 3 months ago. I asked how this was possible and why they had not informed me and they said that a letter was sent in both our names to my wife's address. I complained and complained stating California law about spousal rights during separation or divorce and they said that they could help me but that they would not. I have faced physical and other threats from the person who hit me and someone claiming to be acting for her insurance company and this is causing me many problems. I would advise anyone thinking about insurance to avoid triple A as they are not an honorable company and they will do the least possible to assist their customers.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I have had AAA for many years and have only used them twice, both times for jump starting my pickup in my garage. The first time the AAA guy who arrived didn't want to get out of his truck and said he couldn't jump my pickup unless I moved it out of my garage. I pushed it out myself with no help from Mr. Lazy. The second time the AAA guy (different from first one) jumped my pickup with no problem. AAA varies from state to state. I had Arizona AAA and when I moved to Las Vegas Nevada I had to buy a new AAA contract. Big problem... I could not change online and when I called to change they said they did not have me in their system and never heard of me although I had been with them for at least 10 years. I stored my pickup in Las Vegas and when I recently called AAA to come jumpstart my pickup they said they did not jumpstart vehicles in storage units??? Are you kidding me. No more AAA for me... they are useless.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

This was the worst experience ever with roadside insurance! The roadside took 2 hours to come to me. I was downtown Pleasant Hill. The first dispatcher said, "45 minutes or less and you will receive a text message with updates"... lol. After 1 hour waiting I called again. Another dispatcher said 50 minutes more. I asked to speak with a supervisor and she said in 30 minutes he will be there. Again after 35 minutes and nothing. I called again and guess. The supervisor didn't talk to me. Very disappointed with AAA and I am PREMIER MEMBER. The worker came there with no clue how to even find a spare tire.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My ex got credit cards in my name, some of them even before we were married. When I divorced him, I have a court order that removes my liability for those cards. The Revised Renewal Declaration Certificate received from AAA does not explain codes used to increase my policy by $200 annually. They will not call me back and I know that part of the reason is because of the credit card debt still showing on my credit report even though I am not responsible for it. There are other codes that I have no idea what they mean.

In 2016, the water pump went out on my car while I was stuck in traffic due to an accident. It was July and at the time I was still undergoing chemo treatments. I was told to stay out of the sun. I got my car off the road and called them. I asked if my dad could wait with my car because it was hot and the heat was making me ill. I was told that I had to stay with the car and it would be 2 hours before a tow showed up. No compassion or understanding for what a cancer patient goes through either. Two strikes and they are on their way out; getting rid of them ASAP and do not recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

With a dead battery call to AAA, I was told they'd be to me within the hour. The app showed they arrived 45 minutes later. When I call after the 1 hr I was told they'd come within 2 more hours. They did not. They closed out the call without ever coming.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

During the last four months, I have consistently had problems paying my auto insurance bills. I'm sent a statement for so much but, when I go to pay this invoice amount, I find it is not correct and there is no way to pay the correct amount??? This is getting ridiculous! When are they going to get 'Sally to talk to James?' Who's coordinating this? They really have problems!!! You would think a large company like AAA/CSAA would have their 'act together!' Hope they see this as I'm sure, many customers are as 'upset' as I am.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

When I was getting a loan for my car it was suggested that I go with AAA for insurance for whatever reason... they charged me $118 a month. Then the following year it suddenly dropped to $97... I thought, great! A few weeks ago I had to update my address -- same state, just different city. I was told by Jason that my rate would not change, despite having a new zip code.

Then suddenly a few weeks later, they increased my rate to $143 a month!!! I called customer service and they said the zip code did indeed increase the price. I told them I was going to shop around for a new insurance and the representative said there was a penalty for canceling within your term... I think that's absolutely ridiculous!! This is such a ripoff!!! Don't waste your money!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Recently I used AAA Auto Insurance for a lockout. They were fast, efficient, courteous, and you can track exactly where the driver is. It really takes the stress out of being stranded.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I was in an accident on 7-24-17 with an AAA insured. The adjuster is John. He did all the interviews. John decided to ignore on the investigation on the police report said and is going with what his insured said. Now I guess I'll have to get an attorney. This is so sad. I thought AAA was one of the more reputable companies. I have Geico and they will decline their request for payment because I have liability only and they believe the police report. Don't use AAA. The representative is very rude and didn't response phone call for most of the time.

AAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AAA is officially a federation of motor clubs that offers auto insurance to drivers across America. The company now has more than 54 million members, and it operates out of its corporate headquarters in both Heathrow, FL, and Washington, D.C.

• Specialized insurance: AAA Auto Insurance offers policies to drivers of very specific types of vehicles, like classic cars.

• Educational opportunities: The company offers drivers online courses in defensive driving, which gives customers a 10% discount on their plan.

• Personal injury protection: Insurance plans cover driver and their families even if they are injured while in another person's vehicle.

• Accident Assist: People who cover their vehicles with AAA accident can take advantage of the company's Accident Assist program, which provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.

• Garage parking discount: AAA offers many unique discounts to members, including ones who choose to park their car in a protected garage rather than outside in the elements.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for reliable insurance, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers with family members.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky