Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
AAA Auto Insurance
3.81/5

AAA Auto Insurance

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

AAA auto insurance is offered by the Automobile Association of America to its members in all 50 states. Happy customers appreciate the personalized service they receive by working with a local agent and say the claims process is fast and their insurance rates are reasonable.

PROS

• Gives multiple discounts up to 27% to all AAA members
  • Additional AAA member benefits include travel guides and maps for long trips
  • Established company that’s been around for over a century
  • Excellent roadside service
  • Added coverages include gap insurance, rental car reimbursement and non-owner insurance

CONS

• No discounts for teen drivers
  • Available only to AAA members

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

1051 AAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2019

I was a insured with AAA for 30 years. I was due to renew my policy and my premium increase extremely high. I had 3 not at fault accidents-rear ended in 15 months. The last accident I was rear ended by uninsured drunk driver. AAA Investigator was very rude. I always felt he felt I was at fault. Having my 10 yr old daughter why would I want to be in accident and risk my life and my daughters? I ended up having to seek an attorney against my own insurance. Otherwise the medical bills wouldn't of been covered. I even had added extra coverage for uninsured motorist. Didn't understand why I had to go through so much stress & anxiety with my own insurance- very disappointed!

Original review: April 24, 2019

I call them, at the first stage, they said my monthly payment is $120, then few days later, they called back and said the payment went up $150. After I cancelled the service. They still required me to provide proof of new auto insurance policy and tried to charge me the fee after I cancelled.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Was in an auto accident where a lady ran in front of me, I hit a bridge column and damaged my vehicle. Elliot from AAA was not only concerned about my well being but he also went above and beyond for me! I am forever grateful and blessed to be a consumer of this Insurance company. Highly recommend!

Original review: April 17, 2019

On September 2018, I had a pipe burst destroying the first floor in my house, which includes half bathroom, kitchen, living room, entrance, hallway, coat closet. I received less than 15k to replace flooring, cabinets, drywall, paint, etc. Not to mention I was told the house is livable without a kitchen. I have four young kids in the house. It is now April and I still have no resolution. My insurance however went up. I should have gotten living expenses to live in a functional home. Furniture that was damaged should have been replaced. THEY ARE THE WORSE INSURANCE. I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My home was broken into last week and one of my car fobs was stolen. Since the fob contains a physical key blade, I requested that my car be re-keyed so that the person who stole my key did not return and take my car or have the ability to enter my car and then find out it would not start. I'm sure this would upset the person and thus cause them to vandalize the car.

AAA Claims has denied my request and will only issue a new fob. They have stated to me and I have asked in writing that they understand that if my car is broken into because a stranger has my key and there is damage that it would cost more to replace my car than to re-key the doors and computer system. They understand this and would be happy to help me, once that occurs. They also seem to believe that having my car stolen is better than re-keying the car. I know that we pay a lot of money in car insurance and they should be more interested in protecting the current asset but that does not seem to be the case. Once this gets cleared, our 30 years of loyal services to AAA will be discontinued. On a brighter note, the AAA renters claims department is much easier to work with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: April 15, 2019

The person that "enrolled" me was nice, but he left the company. The next person that took over my account, well, nice, but I felt like I had to train him on updating my policy. I called to remove my old car and add a new one. A week later since I still had no policy card or verification to pay my taxes with. I called again, and he saw that it didn't go through, and had just added a car, and not removed one. We got that straight, and so I stayed on the phone to make sure he sent it to me (He said it was the fault of the software that it did not get updated).

I then printed off my new policy and went to the license bureau, where they noticed the VIN # was transposed. Called again to correct that, and he blamed someone else in the office. He said the policy card didn't show my car as a 4WD, so he added that... again. Once again I stayed on the phone to get my new and corrected proof of insurance card. It now reads, "4WD name of car 4WD". Guess there is no doubt now that I have a 4WD! LOL. When this policy and my homeowners with them is up, I will go back to Nationwide.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I highly recommend using another glass provider. AAA Auto Glass installed a cheap and defective piece of glass on my truck which promptly cracked. Technicians claim was new damage, but not accurate at all. I would strongly encourage anyone reading this review to select another provider for glass replacement. Simply not worth the $300 to pursue this issue any further. Horrible.

Original review: April 11, 2019

This is my first time that I’ve called AAA for help, and the outcome was extremely disappointing from renowned company like AAA Insurance! On March 25, 2019, during my usual morning ride to the office, my car was rear-ended on Montague Expressway, Santa Clara County, California. This is a 3-car-collision. Mine was the first car (Toyota Prius) which was hit at the back by the second car (Honda Accord) which was hit at the back by the third car (Mercedez).

The next morning on March 26, I called AAA 1-800 and the response was totally rude and disappointing. The representative has shocked me because instead of asking me further details on the accident, and she told coldly me that I should call the other insurance company when I said I was rear-ended. I felt confused as I thought I have the Comprehensive Auto Plan that should provide a better coverage or service than the cheaper package. So I asked if there are possibilities AAA can assist me in such situation but she did not change her tone a bit. She reiterated that I need to file the claim against the other insurance company, and worst of all, she sounded like I’m stupid to even call my own insurance company!

At the end, I talked to 2 insurance companies (Allstate and Progressive) and repeated my answers to their interviews and questionings in midst of my hectic schedules, separately at different times. As stressed as that I can be from this mishap, I am grateful to Progressive, who represented the third car, claimed all the liabilities. Progressive communicated very well, and coordinated the car repair and car rental, all in a timely fashion. So here are my questions. Is this true that we need to deal with the other insurance company if we are not at fault? This doesn’t sound right at all?! Is this the kind of lousy and irresponsible service that we should expect from AAA? What kind of people did you hire?

The other two insurance companies, Allstate and Progressive, represented their companies professionally and showed great experience and affection. They are calm and helpful, and what I appreciated most is when they remarked that they were glad no one was hurt or injured! To me, this is just simple basic gesture that we need in humankind. Please do review the quality and integrity of AAA staff. My family has paid premium price in our insurance plan that included not only Auto, but also Home, Rental, Umbrella with AAA, trusting that your company will provide exemplary services to your clients. Unfortunately, this is not my case. We need to rethink now about our family insurance strategy.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Unless you go to page to compare memberships, nowhere or way else are you informed or made aware there are only 4 roadside service calls per year. This is especially a problem when not aware and recent purchase of Subaru Outback 2016 has issues with battery drain having insufficient 350 CCA battery as standard, thus use up those 4 roadside assistance. Then they send "prorated" upgrade offer with no mention of roadside assistance limited to 4 per year and/ you reached that limited.... So pay more for no ability to use the extra tow miles or free gasoline. Said once you have used all 4 roadside assistance unknowingly.... on blipping jumpstarts for buyer beware issue of insufficient battery CCA in Subaru Outbacks keyless drain. To go to drive-in would sufficiently drain battery requiring a jumpstart at completion of movie!

Original review: March 16, 2019

The WORST insurance company and/or business i have ever experienced in my life! Zero stars. They are screwing us on the repairs to our vehicle After one of their members almost killed my fiance and daughter in a head on collision. Had to call and email for days before they would even try to get us a rental car. The agent and the supervisor would not return any of our messages. Finally had to contact customer service to talk to them, and when I did "Jared" was a total narcissistic **. He talked to us like we were below him and tried to tell me we had to use their authorized body shop. Texas state law says I can have my car repaired wherever I want. The man completely lied to us. Great ethics and professionalism.

No adjuster came to look at the car. They insisted the shop send them pictures so they can write the estimate from their office. The shop said they'd never heard of such a thing, they have adjusters come to the shop all the time. AAA Completely lazy half ** employees. They cut a check for the initial repairs and said submit a supplemental claim for the cost of the destroyed wheel (1) and tire. So more pictures were sent along with an estimate to replace them from the shop. The wheels are custom aftermarket wheels. You can't buy just 1 wheel anywhere. I looked, the shop looked, even called the manufacturer. Literally Only 1 place still sold them and you can only buy a set of 4. So the estimate was for all 4. Those are the wheels I have on my car before the wreck (not our fault). That's what I want when it's repaired. Waited for weeks to get the approval for the supplemental claim with no answer.

So a month goes by with my car just sitting there waiting for these (AAA) people to do their job. We consistently call and send emails trying to get updates. Nobody ever calls us back. No return emails. all of a sudden enterprise starts calling the shop asking when the car will be done. Then AAA starts calling asking when it will be done. Next thing I know my fiance gets an email from ** jared saying they have denied our claim and we need to turn in the rental car TODAY. What?!? How is that possible.

My car isnt fixed, it's not at all driveable with a broken wheel and over $3000 worth of damage to the front end. So now I have to give the rental back? Id rather have my nice car back rather than this pos rental anyway, but How am I supposed to get to work and get my kids to school? These people clearly don't give a Damn about that.

They say they will only pay for one wheel. Well, I cant get just 1 wheel!!! What am I supposed to do with that money? I cant buy a new set with that little. So am I supposed to buy 1 different one and drive around looking trashy? So we are both calling literally ALL DAY LONG. About 4 pm I get a call from the shop. They say the supervisor (anita) called up there being extremely rude to the receptionists and to the service writers. Then anita calls my fiance and literally screams at her for about 10 minutes saying it is our responsibility to send everything to get the claim going, to call and make arrangements, to "stay on top of the shop" to make sure our repairs are being done, etc... How is it our responsibility? First: Isnt that YOUR JOB!!! Second: how dare you scream at my fiance or ANYONE for that matter. My fiance was literally crying because she is an incredibly sweet woman. She was just trying to explain and talk to this woman who displayed The most OUTRAGEOUS example of extreme unprofessionalism I have ever experienced in my life.

We Didn't ask for medical, mental, emotional, or any other compensation. All we want is to have our vehicle restored to the condition it was in prior to the accident caused by their member. Thats not unfair. It's not unjust. But for some reason AAA thinks it's ok to treat people like garbage and take advantage.

At this point I'm done dealing with these people. This is going to the corporate level. Do yourself a favor and avoid anything AAA or anything they associate with. Dont believe me? Check the reviews out for yourself. Im not the only one.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I usually never write bad reviews but AAA division here in IL has shown me the worst customer management process and I now I truly understand why we rely on first hand reviews and not blindly follow a big name company. Stay away from this company, I remained patient for more than 6 months and escalated my case up to the manager, some things are embedded in the company culture itself and can never be changed.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have been a AAA member since 1979 and have used the agency for the last 4 years. At present, I have an auto policy with Safeco Insurance. I decided to shop around as the premium went up more than usual. I was told that AAA Insurance was their best quote. I did not accept the quote and started to call other companies. I received a better quote from Travelers when I called them. I then found out that AAA Insurance Agency also represents Travelers and never quoted me the price from them. They are trying to get their customers to buy AAA Insurance even when they are not the cheapest.

Original review: March 7, 2019

My car was hit by a car whose driver had AAA car insurance. This was the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. They kept canceling the rental car on me. I also had to call daily from my job screaming and crying as no one wanted to do their job. (Very frustrating and I would speak to supervisor after supervisor). The accident happened in October and was not resolved until the end of January. They were a complete nightmare to deal with and it wasn’t even my fault. I was also out of $200 of my own money in rental car fees in the end as they refused to cover it and said I would have to take the lady who hit me to court if I wanted my money back.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I was on the freeway on a turn and I struck a box that was on the freeway that I could not avoid because I had a jersey barrier on one side and cars on the other. Needless to say I had major front end damage. Unbeknownst to me the claim rep deemed me at fault. I have been trying to get an explanation from the claims rep but he doesn’t return phone calls. Instead he had another claims rep call me and she told me that I would need to talk to the original claims rep. It’s been over three months now. I was never rude to them. Nobody seems to care at AAA.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

We filed a water damage claim for our motorhome in November 2018, denied the claim that they are not responsible for water seepage and that we are responsible. They try to run around to avoid paying us. We've been with them for years for our auto, home, life and auto club. They force us to be a member of the auto club or they will cancel our auto insurance, no choice for us. I will not recommend AAA to others looking for auto insurance. We thought they are reputable ins. but no. They raise your premiums without notice.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

My vehicle was damaged during working hours while I was inside. Work will not allow us to come outside. Bumper and fender was damaged and I am being told that I need to do 2 claims. It is really frustrating and am really an unsatisfied customer. There is no way I should have to pay my deductible 2 times for something I had no control over. Keep trying to call but they will not answer nor give me a call back. Keep calling 248-423-6327 and straight to voicemail. I suggest you take your business with other insurance companies as this one is becoming a headache after I have been with them for years. Very unhappy customer.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Very displeased with this. First. They require you get a membership if you even want insurance. Which costs 80$ per year. They then justify it by offering road services. Not everyone wants your membership/road services so please stop justifying it. Then, I moved less than TWO miles from where I used to live. I updated my address over the phone and my insurance rate skyrocketed almost $100 a month just like that. My favorite is that the representatives love to say they're "non-profit" meanwhile they have a yearly bill within a yearly bill (membership fees). Price increases within a policy. If you want to offer roadside services, then offer it, but don't make everyone that wants to be with your company required to have it. Sounds like an extra way to take our money. In all the years I have been with you, I may have used your roadside services ONCE. It makes more sense to just pay a toy truck for the event rather than give you 80$ a year. I feel ripped off.

You call yourself non-profit just to mask the fact that you are capitalizing on us in many different ways. I have been with AAA for my entire driving career and they've shown no benefit for being a long term member at all. Perfect driving record and everything. Still with 0 incentive to stay. Also, I am 25 now, and they won't adjust my policy.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Called in at 11:30, was told 90 minutes, the first two companies AAA tried to pawn the tow off on, said they couldn't do it, so I sat there on the side of the road, with no bathroom, and a fading cell phone battery. After 4 hours, I gave up and called a real professional tow company. Funny thing is I just had upgraded to premiere level member. Been a member since 2013... I will be cancelling and soon. After telling my car club my experience, it raised a few eyebrows, as most of us have kids and loved ones we purchase AAA for. Well I'm done wasting my monies on a company who doesn't fulfill their salesperson's promises and guarantees. Triple AAA gave me a secure feeling, not anymore.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Our car broke down with my husband and 3 months baby, they made us wait for more than 5 hours giving numerous excuses at 50 degree weather with an infant and nothing open to shelters us. They kept saying they are on their way. Do yourself a favor and don’t do business with them. Their lack of empathy and common sense is shocking! Poor customer service and zero problem solving. Least say work ethic.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

We called AAA for a tow after our car had mechanical problems after 7:00 pm, it was a nightmare. Agent told us they were short on driving working during the weekend and would look at getting us help. Waited and waited no callback, so called AAA again using the reference number provided and was told they had cancelled our request!!! So had to place new request and they were to call back...waited and waited. Finally a call from tow person and stated it would be another hour and a half as he was 60 miles away. We spent 6 hours waiting in our car for help and made it finally back home at 6 am, the most crazy night ever. AAA is up for renewal. It's a no brainer. We are not renewing, the point in roadside assistance is to be there when needed!!! Service must have changed over the years as my parents were members for 45+ years and never had this type of service. Very sad!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I have been with AAA for several years now and for the most part I have been happy with them, however, in 2016 I called for AAA roadside assistance and waited 3 hours... No one showed up. Finally the state of Nebraska stopped and helped me. When AAA called to ask how the service was I told the lady no one ever showed up except for Nebraska and she said, "Well I am glad you got going again" and hung up on me. AAA has exhibited extremely poor customer service. I have a renewal due Jan 5th so I went to see my agent as I had a rate increase and several things were input into their system incorrectly regarding my policy.

The agent charged me $704 and I paid it. A few weeks later, I receive another bill for $105.00. How is it that you are billed and you pay the bill only to be billed again later? My agent told me AAA told her she was not to be taking payment (which every agent does...) and I was told that if I did not make the second payment my policy would be cancelled. My agent said she would advise me to shop around that since California took over everything has been a disaster. Poor customer service AAA. Shame on you!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I have had AAA for my whole life. 42 years they were great. When I was hit by a hit and run great service for that. Why I'm giving them 1 star is that my youngest daughter is 17 and not driving. Yet AAA said they sent me a letter to put her on my insurance. I never received the letter. Next thing I received a check from them. They canceled my insurance without telling me cause I didn't return a letter I never received. When I called them they sent me the letter by email. I signed it and send it back same way. I called them back a week later and they still haven't done anything. They are waiting for the underwriter to do something so they cancel my insurance for a daughter that is not driving yet.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

They are in it only for the money. I missed a payment in October due to not updating my bank info. They canceled my insurance. Once I realized what happened, I called in to make the payment. Instead of reinstating the policy I had, the agent opened up a new policy. 28 days later I found out I would save $100 a month more if I went through my credit union for insurance. I called in to cancel the policy with AAA and now I have to pay $200 since I had the policy for less than a year, even though I had been with them for 5 years. When I tried to talk to a supervisor they just said: "sorry there's nothing we could do". To top it off the original policy went to collections and dinged my credit.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

My car was flooded during high tide. Electrical issues. Got car fixed. They say they won't cover. I have had 1 conversation with the company at the beginning of process in November. Their denial letter was written before they received repair info. Was received from d by them. Worst insurance ever.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

What a rough 24 hours! Last night my truck was broken into. I was robbed of most all of my belongings. Which happened to be a lot since I traveled to Louisville for my great nephew's wedding! Today I attempt to drive home (a 3 hour drive) and as I am nearing 65 south my truck alerts me that I am losing air pressure in my driver side front tire. So I skip getting on 65 and go to the next exit in Fairdale in National Turnpike and pull into a Marathon/Circle K and as I pull up to air pumps tire is deflating rapidly. I call Triple A and they send a man out. He is not very positive and says he can not change my tire on ice. I told him if he will put some air in my tire I will move to a better a spot. I get to a dry spot and he says he does not know if his jack will get my truck up high enough to put the spare on. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

I call my cousin that I got the truck from to find out where my tools are stashed for a tire change? While I am rearranging items to get to said tools. This man walks up and tell me, "Ma’am I need the tools!" I explained to him I was getting them. He starts his work to change my tire and I was very polite and thankful to him for his effort. Then he tells me a lug nut is stripped and it will be fine and he gets in his truck to leave. I start my truck and notice the spare needs air. I jump out of truck and catch him and he pulls around to air up tire. I told him it needed 65 lbs of air. He said his tank only has 10 lbs. and that is all he can do. I said, "Then what should I do?" He said, "You can buy air from the air machine." And he leaves! I try the air machine and it does not work! I cripple across the road to another Fas Mart store. I pull up to their tank and get out.

I deposit the change and the air comes on. I turn to air up my tire and fall on the ice. Which sets off my emergency button and that is now calling lifeline!?? I try to slide over tire and put air in but it won’t work! I finally get up and check to see if my little air compressor is still working and as I try to get that going...a man comes over and starts helping. I am thankful as I think I broke something in my foot when I fell. While the tire is getting air he is chatting nonstop! I realize he is a panhandler! I told him I was robbed and no money to offer for his help. He says there is an ATM inside! I said, "Are you hungry?" He responded with a yes! I said I have some cupcakes I can offer. He can’t eat them as he is a diabetic! RIGHT! I finally scrape up about 1.15 in change and get the heck out of Louisville! Thanks Triple AAA for leaving me in this situation! Gold member my butt!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Legendary service my **. I got into an accident. My car is totaled. I got hurt and yes I have full coverage. I tried to get a rental from them. They are refusing to give me a rental so I can get to a doctor. When I got my full coverage I assumed that meant everything. I was never told if you get into an accident you need to have extra coverage to cover a rental. They are hindering my medical care. Where I live there are no taxis no bus service no Uber. I have no neighbors who can help me. I should not have to try and depend on other people to drive me around even if I had that option and I don't. I was supposed to go to the hospital and get x rays. I can't. If I was to call a taxi from another town that has one it would cost me 160 dollars to get there and back.

Full coverage should mean everything. Im sure the guy who hit me has a rental. Like I said legendary service is not what you get. I do not recommend AAA Insurance whatsoever. I have been insured through them for 25 years and this is how they treat you. This is a god awful company and if there was a minus star that is what I would give them.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have been a AAA member for over 30 years and have used them as my home and auto insurance provider for 8 years. The last two years I have seen crazy rate hikes for no reason. My husband and I have no tickets or accidents and our rate has increased from $2225 for our vehicles to $2688 for absolutely no reason than "the normal rate hike %". I have had to speak with 4 representatives in order to try and switch up my coverage to lower that cost and it has been extremely frustrating and time consuming with not great results. I should just throw in the towel and change insurance companies once and for all. Do your research and if anything seems off, run.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I was initially involved in an accident that was not my fault. AAA got me into a rental - they deal with Hertz, that’s where I went. While in the Hertz rental I hit a deer... Called AAA as they are my insurance co. 2 months later, Hertz is calling me asking me where their car is, it’s overdue. I owe them over $2,000 for towing & storage fees. Now, the adjuster from the original incident calls to say my car is fixed. It was “fixed” and given back with the check engine light on. All around the most horrendous experience I’ve ever had with an insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I've been with AAA for 10 years. I have 2 cars that's insured with them. One car is 12 years old and the other 3 yrs. old. I'm supposed to get a discount for mature driver, multiple cars & good driving record but my insurance goes up every year. Every year the older car is vandalized. Thieves broke the passenger window one time, another time the trunk glass was broken into. Last year there was a hole from the Napa fire on top of the car's roof. One time I was hit from behind while driving on the freeway. These problems did not happen on the place where I live. I noticed that my insurance is high due to my many claims even though none of them were my fault. Isn't that what insurance is for? I talked to an agent but they were not helpful. They say the same thing every time like 'gas is expensive and we have a lot of expenses'.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

If you are a ** male please beware of AAA corrupt and racist business practices from the Mexican females in the claims department. If a Mexican, anchor baby or ** female hits your car, they will blame it on YOU and put it on your driving record regardless, if they are out a $1. Also, they coerce you into filing a claim against yourself, then a year or two later, they put it on your driving record and then cancel your insurance. This disgusting racist Mexican feminazi labeled me a ** Trump supporter over the phone and I am NOT A REGISTERED VOTER.

AAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AAA is officially a federation of motor clubs that offers auto insurance to drivers across America. The company now has more than 54 million members, and it operates out of its corporate headquarters in both Heathrow, FL, and Washington, D.C.

• Specialized insurance: AAA Auto Insurance offers policies to drivers of very specific types of vehicles, like classic cars.

• Educational opportunities: The company offers drivers online courses in defensive driving, which gives customers a 10% discount on their plan.

• Personal injury protection: Insurance plans cover driver and their families even if they are injured while in another person's vehicle.

• Accident Assist: People who cover their vehicles with AAA accident can take advantage of the company's Accident Assist program, which provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.

• Garage parking discount: AAA offers many unique discounts to members, including ones who choose to park their car in a protected garage rather than outside in the elements.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for reliable insurance, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers with family members.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky