3.6/5 (3403 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About AAA Auto Insurance

AAA provides automobile insurance to its members through 50+ regional branches nationwide. The company offers multiple coverage types, but its auto insurance is available only to paid AAA members. All AAA memberships come with several perks and discount opportunities, but coverage options differ by location.

Pros

• Well-established company
  • Several discount opportunities
  • Membership comes with other perks

Cons

• Must have an AAA membership
  • Coverage offerings differ by branch

Bottom Line

AAA has provided Americans with auto insurance for over a century and has more than 50 branches countrywide. Its auto coverage requires a paid AAA membership, which includes access to various perks and discounts.

Top AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Their customer service is top notch. I 'bundle' my auto and home insurance, and no matter what the claim is, someone is always available to help. I've been a customer for years, a...

Verified

AAA is awesome. The process of filing a claim is easy and the representative was very helpful. It was settled quickly and I was able to buy a new car within a few weeks. Also, the...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is AAA insurance?

AAA (the American Automobile Association) has been insuring Americans since 1902 and operates in more than 50 independent branches across the country. Since its inception, the company has been known for its automobile and driver safety services. Along with auto insurance, it provides homeowners, health and life coverage and more. It also offers insurance add-ons and policy bundles.

How does AAA auto insurance work?

To qualify for AAA auto insurance policies, you must be a AAA member. A membership also comes with perks like discounts on movies, hotels, rentals and more. Auto policy coverage and discount options vary slightly from branch to branch, but each AAA location offers all the standard coverage:

• Collision
  • Comprehensive
  • Liability
  • Medical payments
  • Personal injury protection
  • Underinsured motorist
  • Uninsured motorist

You can also add several coverage options to your policy. Your local branch could offer:

• Accident forgiveness
  • Custom electronics
  • Loan/lease payoff
  • New vehicle replacement
  • Pet coverage
  • Rental car reimbursement
  • Roadside assistance

You can also bundle home and auto policies to save more — depending on your location and insurer, you might be able to add life insurance to your bundle. Other insurance options some AAA clubs offer:

• Collector car
  • Renters
  • Pet
  • Travel
  • Umbrella

AAA auto insurance quotes and rates

AAA membership starts as low as $50 per year and increases depending on your location and selected services. Insurance rates also vary greatly person to person. Your AAA car insurance quote depends on various factors, such as age, location, driving history, credit score and more.

AAA also offers multiple discount possibilities. You could qualify for discounts like:

• Advanced purchase
  • Paid-in-full
  • Vehicle safety equipment
  • Theft recovery devices

AAA auto insurance FAQ

What does AAA auto insurance cover?
AAA offers a variety of coverage options, including collision, comprehensive, liability, rental car reimbursement and more.
What does AAA comprehensive coverage offer?
AAA’s comprehensive coverage pays for vehicle damages from disasters and mishaps like animal collisions, earthquakes, fallen objects and more, while the collision option covers damage if you’ve hit another object (car, mailbox, wall, etc.) or flipped over.
How much does AAA full coverage insurance cost?
Your AAA auto insurance costs depend on several factors, including your location. You have to be an AAA member to benefit from its insurance, so make sure to factor in membership costs ($50+ per year).
Can I cancel AAA auto insurance?
Yes. AAA offers a flexible cancellation policy, so you can cancel over the phone, by email or in person.

Is AAA a good car insurance?

AAA has been insuring American drivers for over a century. For some, it might not be worth it to pay a membership fee for car insurance — but AAA’s discounts and general benefits might balance out membership costs. Overall, AAA might not be the best choice for someone looking for bare-bones coverage, considering the added cost of a membership fee; however, if you want full coverage, policy bundle options and extra perks, AAA might meet your needs.

AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

My vehicle was hit by a driver who was driving out of a space in December. He was at a fault. I reported the incident to AAA, and the initial contact person was kind. He gave me a list of repair places to get the vehicle fixed, and because it was late in December, I proceeded to go and get it dropped off. At the repair place they suggested I contact the adjustor to get a claim code for a rental, however, the adjuster did not call me back. I figured it was the holidays, and they would get back to me later. They never did. So no rental.

I tried calling just now, and when I try to leave a message, it just says GOODBYE and hangs up. AAA used to be good, so I am frustrated by this. I want to know what is going on with my claim. I wanted that Rental. The adjuster has never ever contacted me once. I did manage to reach him on the phone one time, to let him know I dropped it off at the repair place, but I dislike call Avoidant behavior, and AAA needs to respond to customers when they call. And fix whatever is wrong with their voicemail system.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

AAA used to be one of the best insurances in the east. Apparently they're not as customer friendly as they used to be. We had to get a new homeowners policy. The providers car insurance bundled rate were competitive with AAA, our current provider. We were on the auto pay program and they got their premium every single month on time. Because we had to cancel, they billed us an $88 early termination fee. I thought auto pay made sure they got their money but I guess they want to hit you one more tine before you leave: or as I call it, "burning your bridge behind you."

The money wasn't the issue. The reason I am warning new customers is being on auto pay we thought all was well. Not so! they sent one bill and apparently the bill states that if not paid in ten days you will go to collections. We never received a bill. However, true to their word, we were sent to collections maybe ten days later. Don't know. But we're there. Funny, I get tons of emails from AAA, monthly ads, etc. but just one bill notice. Now that's customer service. Thanks AAA and good riddance!!!!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

On July 8, I was hit by a person insured with a AAA insurance company. I then turned in a claim. My Car was inspected quickly by 3rd party. There was no contact from insurance adjuster until Sep 1, which I was informed that my car would be repaired with a list of required parameters. Due to no contact and required parameters from the insurance I insisted on a check for the claim. Since Sep 12, until now Dec 13, when I inquire about a payout I get, "The check is in the mail." Not being able to use my car for almost six months is unfounded. A disconnect from the Insurance company and the customer or claim is clear. Looks like it time to get a Attorney especially since my state allows attorney fees to be added to claim.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I was told it would be a 2 hour wait but when I called back to say my phone would be dead he told me it would another hour! All I needed was my tires I supposed to run my car for 3 hours or more because it's freezing outside. Guess that's why the membership was cheap. This service just saddens me. I have yet to make it home.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Been with them over 50 years, 3 great agents. Available, take quick care of problems and needs. Stand behind their work. Use for both of our houses, in two different states, 2 cars and one truck. Not the cheapest, but definitely top notch service. Have recommended to many that had the cheap experience.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

My advice is to buy insurance from anywhere but here. I paid my bill on time for 2 years without any issues. My address has always been the same. I never made a claim until now and all of a sudden my account was cancelled. They couldn’t explain how all of a sudden they couldn’t collect payment from my bank that has maintained a balance of $$20k since mid 2000s. They couldn’t explain how all of a sudden my address was changed and they couldn’t inform of the cancellation or missed pay, late payment or anything, nor could they explain why I never received an email or phone when all my info has been the same. They also couldn’t explain how last week I received mail from trying to sell me more insurance but all of a sudden my account was cancelled. Don’t buy into this insurance skeet. You will payout a lot of money just to be Left with no coverage.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I contacted AAA Meemic Insurance (**) to report one of my drivers on the policy have been incarcerated and will be for a very long time. Therefore, I need the driver removed from the policy. My insurance premiums increased by $515 with the vehicle and driver making my policy over 1,100 a month. I can not afford this policy. AAA Meemic knows this is a bit to much for a policy holder to pay. They also have an issue with prompt responses. I have been contacting them since July 5th, 2021 to have this driver removed. I am comfortable with keeping this policy. I do not have time to search for other policies and worry about insurance agencies checking my credit; thus, lowering my credit score.

Original review: July 11, 2021

Voha M did a great job loading up and unloading my car. He was very polite! He took my car down the street not even 2 miles from my house where I was able to have my tire put on. He offered to change it for me and ask if there was anything else he could help me with! 10/10 recommended!

Original review: July 6, 2021

AAA canceled my auto insurance for no given reason and never notified me (after I submitted my payment through their online portal on time and received a confirmation receipt of my payment). They were quick to blame USPS for me not receiving notice rather than taking responsibility on their end. I was told that during the pandemic this has been a common complaint from their customers - that often people were not receiving their notices until 6 months after they were mailed.

While AAA seemed to be aware that there is a problem with this, they have been unwilling to find other means of communicating with their customers. I was told that I was responsible for my lack of awareness that I was driving uninsured (even though I submitted all my payments on time) and that my insurance rate would double as a result because I was unknowingly driving uninsured. No apologies and no willingness to take any sort of responsibility. I have switched to State Farm as a result and will not return to AAA for any sort of insurance policy in the future. Please spare yourself your time, money, and liability issues and avoid AAA at all costs.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Switched over to AAA after hearing some good things about them from a friend. When switching over I told the sales rep to mimic my old policy as I wanted the same coverage. He had access to my old policy and assured me I would be getting just that. We agreed to only switch the deductible for full coverage. Later that year I was unfortunately involved in an accident and was seeking their assistance when I find out that the agent sold me whatever he wanted and not what was promised to me. Now they are refusing to cover me per the coverage I was told I would get when I switched over. In other words do not trust this company as they are deceptive and deceiving and lie.

AAA Auto Insurance Company Information