Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
3.93/5

AAA Auto Insurance

BOTTOM LINE

AAA auto insurance is offered by the Automobile Association of America to its members in all 50 states. Happy customers appreciate the personalized service they receive by working with a local agent and say the claims process is fast and their insurance rates are reasonable.

PROS

• Gives multiple discounts up to 27% to all AAA members
  • Additional AAA member benefits include travel guides and maps for long trips
  • Established company that’s been around for over a century
  • Excellent roadside service
  • Added coverages include gap insurance, rental car reimbursement and non-owner insurance

CONS

• No discounts for teen drivers
  • Available only to AAA members

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I have been with Automobile Club of Southern California for over 15 years. The price is very good and they also will give me 9 months to pay or a 12 mo plan. I chose the 9 mo plan. If anything happens just call the 24 hour dispatch and you get immediate help. Ask if you are ok, is your car driveable, if not where do you need it towed - home or repair shop. They get right on your claim. I was hit in the rear sitting at a red stop light. Did not have to pay a deductible. They also kept me updated on the status of the claim. They also have a class called Drive Sharp on the computer for elderly drivers. When you complete it you get a 4% discount on it. You also get a discount for parking in a garage, multi policies and good driving record. I can also get my tag there any any other DMV services. Love this company.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

This was overall a nice company just for the fact that my insurance agent was always willing to make time to take my call or visit with me if I dropped by her office. She always answered my questions and took time to explain anything I didn't understand. The payment amount I had to pay each month has been okay, not many of us like the fact that we have to pay this stuff at all, but for what I got out of this insurance company it wasn't bad. A nice company to do business with. In future, I will probably be staying with them for a long time.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

AAA is a bit pricey, but the coverage is awesome. I can talk to someone at anytime, without any effort if I have a question or need. They have offices all over the place for my convenience and the one near me even has a DMV built into it if I need to pay a registration and get a sticker right away. The claims process is easy and I do not feel like I am ever getting ripped off. It's not great value but good for peace of mind.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have had AAA Auto Insurance for more than 10 years and I have been generally satisfied with the service I have received from the company during this time. More than anything, I've gotten a lot of value from the roadside service offered through AAA, which is unparalleled. Further, I've found the rates to be pretty competitive. That's not to mention the additional discounts I get on travel, entertainment, and dining. I take advantage of these perks at least a few times per year and have saved a fair amount of money in the process. All in all, I'm quite pleased to be a AAA member.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

They are definitely not the cheapest, but they have some of the best customer service and dealing with them is hassle free. AAA members get a lot of benefits that other companies don't offer. I've taken advantage of their free towing several times and so have my family members, with no questions ask. The few times I've had to file claims they were always polite and tried to do most of the work for me, and I never felt like they were trying to rip me off. They always respond to my inquiries quickly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

They're the most expensive insurance in town but when you have a claim they're the biggest cheapskates in town! They'll let you pay for full coverage but they won't fix an older 9 year old car! They'll total it instead!! Avoid them like the plague!! It took over a week just to get them out to look at my car!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Avoid using Onboard App for AAA Insurance Discount until they revise hard braking. Currently using the App that tracks speeds over 80 mph, hard braking and driving late night/early morning hours to get auto insurance discount up to 20%. Unfortunately I drive to work at 3:30am and it's reducing my allowable discount. There is no traffic but AAA considers this high risk driving hours. They should be giving bonus points for avoiding traffic. Hard Braking monitoring greatly needs to be modified which is using my smart phone to determine deceleration. I drive a 2015 Camry and to avoid hard braking occurrences, I have to do rolling stops or take more risk with yellow lights at intersections to avoid having to apply brakes. Cars will pass me just to get in front of me because I taking excessive long distances to slow the vehicle down at stop signs and intersections. I get a hard brake incident whenever I try to stop the vehicle.

My wife is an excellent driver and she got 7 hard braking in a 10 minute drive to the store. When I drive in traffic it extremely stressful because other drivers cut in front and when I tap on the brakes to get distance to the new vehicle in front of me, I get a hard braking. Passengers will testify that hard braking incidents are totally screwed up…. I’m so frustrated that I’m seriously considering going out for new Home and Auto Insurance. I been with AAA for a few decades and like AAA. But I’m frustrated and can’t find anyone in the company to talk to them about the hard braking. My agent keeps telling to stay with it for six months. It’s so frustrating that is App is controlling and downgrading perfectly good driving.

Resolution response: Oct. 10, 2019

Aaron ** finally stepped in and was able to resolve my case in two days. He was absolutely wonderful! It’s unfortunate that I couldn’t have dealt with him first.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Absolutely HORRIBLE customer service!! It has been almost a month since I initiated my claim and it’s still not resolved. No one EVER answers their phone, voicemails aren’t returned, and emails are ignored. This is the worst experience I’ve ever had with an insurance company!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

AAA in the Carolinas - I say do NOT insure your auto with them. They started out quoting me much lower than everyone else a year ago (when I first moved to the Carolinas) and hit me with a 61% rate increase after that first year. My insurance agent generally does not answer her phone, nor has she ever returned my calls. I have had to go into the office to have conversations with her, if she was actually in the office at the time. Then I paid the renewal late, due to the high rate increase and my moving my home at the same time, and the payment I did make in the office never went through. I received zero communication about this - nothing in email, nothing in snail mail, no phone calls, and nothing in my online account. Nothing.

I just called to find out why the payment never posted to my account (the bank said they had no record of it) and AAA (after three calls to a phone system that does not appear to work and being on extended holds) told me the routing number was bad and their system does not trigger any communication for that type of instance. OMG! If I had been in an accident, AAA would have just said my policy was cancelled, when they had NO NOTIFICATION anywhere of that fact. I did get it paid, but only after a total of 42 minutes on the phone with them. I will be switching insurance companies immediately.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I do not know why they do not put my auto insurance policy online. I have to call but the 800 numbers never get through and non-800 numbers direct you to 800 numbers again. They never reply your email too.

AAA Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Officially, AAA is a federation of motor clubs that offers auto insurance to drivers across America. The company now has more than 54 million members and operates out of its corporate headquarters in both Heathrow, FL, and Washington, D.C.

• Specialized insurance: AAA Auto Insurance offers policies to drivers of very specific types of vehicles, like classic cars.

• Educational opportunities: The company offers drivers online courses in defensive driving, which gives customers a 10% discount on their plan.

• Personal injury protection: Insurance plans cover drivers and their families even if they are injured while in another person's vehicle.

• Accident Assist: People who cover their vehicles with AAA accident can take advantage of the company's Accident Assist program, which provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.

• Garage parking discount: AAA offers many unique discounts to members, including ones who choose to park their car in a protected garage rather than outside in the elements.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for reliable insurance, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers with family members.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky