AAA Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

EARL AN JENNIE of Hesperia, CA on

I had Triple A install a new battery just 5 or 6 months ago. Now I'm having problems when car is turned off and you play the radio for 10 min. or so nothing else on the battery starts to discharge. Only have 52,000 miles on this car and it is kept up. They came out twice and said they would not replace it. The problem is when the car is running it's ok. My alternator is good no problem. I have a friend that had Triple A install one in her car and she has had the same problem and they gave her the same answer, no. We want replace it. They would rather lose my wife and I after 22 years than to replace the faulty battery. My answer to you is never buy a battery from AAA. If they won't help you when you need them after all these years then what good are they. Don't buy your insurance from them...

Dennis of Sunnyvale, CA on

Lifetime guarantee of the repair work for as long as you own your vehicle. I have utilized this insurance company for 56 years. Their rates are reasonable. I have had two accidents and I have had prompt repair estimates and repairs on both of them. After the accidents I had an reasonable increased premium for three years. I have no problem with that. After 3 years with no accidents, you become a "Good Driver", saving me $68.64 on my policy and after 5 years you become a "Distinguished Driver" saving me an additional $61.92 on my policy. I would highly recommend this company for your auto or home insurance.

Kenneth of Hayward, CA on

I have been with AAA for over 12 years now and just had my first accident. I called AAA to inform them of what just happened. The accident happened in my new brand new car. When I told them what vehicle was in the accident they tell me that car had liability only. I was furious because I asked for full coverage and I had financed this vehicle. I have 4 vehicles total and all have full coverage. So I request them to pull the phone call from when I added the vehicle. That was a month ago. They have not returned phone calls and have not contacted me.

I call them today to find out that they still have not pulled that phone call. The representative I spoke to today tells me they might not be able to pull the phone call and if they can't pull the call that they will not cover the damages. I can't believe that this is happening. I have never had to use the insurance until now and they won't help me. Now I have a brand new car I'm making payments on for another 4+ years that is wrecked. Thanks AAA for ripping me off for more than a decade. Save yourself the hassle and get insurance from someone else.

Angela of Hanover, VA on

I know insurance companies are out for all they can get, but the experience I just had increased my awareness of that fact. A gentleman plowed into my car and totaled it. For weeks I waited on a response from AAA. It took forever for them to look at the car. They determined the damage to be the fault of their insured and told me to take it to the body shop. Now mind you, half of my front end was hanging on the ground. When I finally convinced them they needed to send a tow, they said they took it to the repair shop. The repair shop made their assessment of damage and tried for a week to get a AAA adjuster to come to the shop. The adjuster came, took notes, and then said he would be in touch. Well again, the body shop had to pursue them for days.

I got a call from AAA that said they determined my car was totaled and they wanted me to get my personal belongings. We did so, but another agent from AAA called and asked us to get our belongings. I told them we had gotten them 3 days before, but I asked how long it would be before they would make an offer. After listing about 3 or 4 action items they'd have to do on their end, I told them that I had a rental I was paying extra on because the rental company they sent me to did not have a luxury vehicle (like the one their client totaled). I said I would take it back and get a luxury car from another rental company. They obviously have some type of "love affair" with Enterprise. The agent said for me that she would check with Enterprise and if they did not have a comparable car they would cover the car I had. I called Enterprise later that day and they said they heard from AAA. Well, IT TOOK 40 DAYS for them to make the first offer.

We promptly took the car back at which time Enterprise asked for $410. Unbelievable. They claim that the agent who said she would cover the car I had never called. This was distinctly different from what I was told when I called earlier. These people are absolute crooks. They claim it is lack of communication. But AAA is hiding its hand. Enterprise is in some kind of way a bedfellow in this foolishness. I knew there was a reason that I dumped their auto insurance years ago. Absolutely no integrity! If anyone ever has to deal with them, I would advise that they record all phone calls and get as much in writing as possible. Having names of people seemingly doesn't work in that they deny they ever said what they know they said! So RECORD any convos with them!!!!

Dan of Howell, Michigan on

I have seen better pricing but I do not trust the companies that have quoted lower prices. Customer service is not good when calling head office but when I call my agent, I get great service. My AAA agent is great to deal with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

jeffery of California City, CA on

Driving home on Sunday afternoon (1/1/2017), California City Blvd was closed due to a power lines on road. Susan and I have only live in California city for a few years and was unfamiliar with the lower south part of the city. We followed other cars. We came to a dirt road, roughly a mile away from the paved one. I wasn't worried about getting stuck, I had AAA peace of mind. Everyone made it through except me. Lost control of my car and went into a mud hole. Several people came over offering to pull me out. But, I didn't know where the hooks to my car was.

I was in ankle deep mud and water, tried to look underneath my car, couldn't find them. I called AAA. I had been a customer for 10 years. The man on the phone was rude and sarcastic. He told me that my AAA MEMBERSHIP WAS WORTHLESS. HOWEVER HE COULD REFER ME TO A TOWING SERVICE. He did not know the rate or any cost of that company.

HE OFFERED NO HELP AT ALL. NO RIDE HOME (WE WERE FIVE MILES AWAY), NOTHING. He made it very clear that since I was (it started at ten feet) sixty feet off of paved road by the time I got off the phone, I was on my own and the peace of mind I had paid for ten years was useless. A kind man and his wife gave us a ride home. I was covered head to toe in mud. So, I rode in the back of his truck. I called AAA again and got some goofy kid, who kept saying she was sorry. But, I should have been told that AAA doesn't go off pavement more than forty feet.

EVEN THEIR OWN PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THEIR POLICY. Susan and I went out the next day and dug our car out. We were about one hundred fifty feet from pavement. On the third, I called AAA member services and cancelled my membership. I ranted and raved for at least five minutes. The woman I spoke to picked her words like a lawyer. She had been here before. NOTHING WAS OFFERED. She asked me if I would like to talk to someone. I shouted back, "WHO? SANTA CLAUS? These people are nothing more than another half assed insurance company. Quick to take your money and slow to pay.

Ameera of Keizer, OR on

I have AAA through Southern California. I was traveling from Cali to Oregon. My membership had expired and as my car was stuck in the snow and couldn't move it, I called roadside assistance and told the lady that I will pay for the renewal so that I can get helped. She denied me and declined to assist me in any way. I was experiencing financial hardship and considered paying my renewal fee through my credit card. She told me that their policy changed and she couldn't help me at all. She said that I had to call the tow truck guy and pay out of pocket myself.

I hate AAA from Southern Cali. The reps are so rude, have attitude and don't care at all for their customers. I am transferring my membership to Oregon. Going to give it one last try. If I keep getting treated this way? I will take my business and membership elsewhere. AAA used to be really good with everything. I've noticed a huge decline with not only customer service but the demeanor and the total package. I have GEICO for renters insurance. I pay $80 annually for my membership through AAA and $116. Just wow!

Chris of Landenberg, PA on

I have never had a problem filing claims. They are easy to get to, friendly and helpful! I've had them for years and never considered switching. Periodically, I check to make sure I'm paying a competitive rate. Previously, I had State Farm for 20 years, maybe filing one claim. When I switched to AAA, I cut my premium in half, with better coverage. You will not be wasting your time getting a quote from them. Their rates are great, and their customer service is the best!

Sabrina of Indian Hills, CO on

On Sunday December 25, 2016 our car broke down in Leadville, CO. I called AAA assuming their typical responsiveness. I was called back by a AAA representative who informed me that all AAA contract service providers had declined our call for help. The choices given by AAA were to find a place to stay in Leadville and wait until the following day for a tow truck or pay for our own tow and then try to get reimbursement from AAA. I'd never been declined service before, nor ever read or heard that my contract with AAA could be null and void at the discretion of the drivers. Conditions were cold, windy and snowy, however the roads were safe for travel. Friends drove 5 hours and over 200 miles out of their way to get us home to our family for the holiday. We'll be looking for another way to get roadside assistance, since it appears AAA is all about getting your money but not following through with consistent service.

Johnny of Palm Desert, CA on

Any questions I may have or if I want to pay my bill 24 hrs a day I can speak with somebody. With my schedule, that alone says a lot. They are a no nonsense, all around pleasant auto ins co. When adding on my cousin to my policy, it was so easy over the phone and he was instantly added on. It's a little tricky to get a human after hours unless you lie and say it's a roadside emergency on the automated system.

Bea of Anaheim, CA on

I have been insured with AAA over 30-years. Very satisfied until a recent claim on 11/2016 OMG! A nightmare! Unacceptable service. Claims representative did not do and or returned my calls and or messages. No communication. Very unprofessional and rude. Closed my claim without notification doing exactly what I did not wanted him to do. Favoring the Hertz car rental business after they gave me a horrible service. Talked to his supervisor and got a response about 10 days after and only because I had to talked to the Costa Mesa's branch manager. The letter did not give an apology. Only stated the closing of the claim under their terms. I am very hurt and very disappointed!!! In shock!!! For the first time ever I feel attacked by my own insurance company. I honestly can no longer recommend this company anymore!

richard of Napa, CA on

On 12/14/2016 my motor home trans stopped working in the hills of Napa valley. I walked 8+ miles to get to a phone in the rain. Got a shop in pope valley that would let me use the phone. No cell service. Told the dispatch everything, size, how many tires. Then we hung up. 4 hrs later I called back. They said they tried to call me? With no cell service? The male dispatch told me to get uber. With no cell service you need a app for that. So I walked back to my RV. 1/2 way a little old lady picked me up. Remember it's still raining, dropped me off at my rv. Then she came back about 45 min later, gave me a sandwich and said she would drive me home. She was like 80+. I said ok. Got home and she called me 45 min later, said she got home by now. It's 9 pm Wed night.

Thurs I called back, said they would send someone out from sabasipol. Then hrs later Richmond walking 4 to 6 miles to get phone service each way them telling me I have to be with my rv. Fri 12/16/2016 they sent a pickup. WHY not a tow truck? By now I'm pissed off so I walked 4to6 miles to call my wife to get me. I talked to Angel from 559 659 3939, got a hold of civic tow set up for 9 am Sat. Cory showed up 10 min early, fix it up now 96 HRS later from my first call in Dec 2016 rain and freezing it got towed.

Your male DISPATCHERS SUCK. The girls tried to help this needs overhauled fixed. I should have gotten better service UBER no. AAA should have sent someone out the first day and never got a order # so let me know what will happen so nobody get treated like this out of the north bay dispatch and your trucks can't tow a F 350. Why with all the freight that come in and out of napa on big trucks you have nothing to tow. You're losing money right and left so to say. Get back to me TIM Condon, Jim **, & Russell **.

will of New Orleans, LA on

I just spent about an hour and a half waiting on AAA and still have a car that won't start. Less than a year ago I bought a replacement battery from AAA along with the extended warranty. Two weeks ago the battery died, so AAA sent out a technician to give me a jump start. Today, once more, the battery was dead. After waiting about 50 minutes for a technician to show up, a third party service arrives and asks, "where's the car that needs a jump". He then explained that he does not replace batteries and walks away with an annoyed look on his face. I guess he didn't like having his time wasted. (His name was Ken if anyone cares.)

At this point I call back AAA. The nice lady on the phone informs me that AAA does not perform battery service after a certain time. My initial call had been over 45 minutes previous to the cut off. Hoping there might be something more that could be done, I ask to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor informs me that although a service call was placed in their system before the 11 PM cut off, no one responded to it. The only hope of getting a new battery was to wait until the next day. Here I am, having waited an hour and a half, with a car that will not start. AAA service and their equipment (the battery) have been a huge disappointment. I'm starting to wonder why people pay for this service when most cellphone companies offer the same thing for nearly half the price.

Millie of Plymouth, PA on

This is the worst experience with a car claim ever. The accident happened on August 25th, this lengthy wait to hear from someone and the long wait for anyone to get back to you after so many tries. This has been the worst cat chase to accomplish anything with your company and the staff assigned to this case. Shady, irresponsible, slow and incapable of any sort of communication with anyone in this customer service. I am a disabled person going thru so much mental and emotional problems and this does not help one bit.

Willie of Dayton, OH on

I got hit from behind and they help me find a great Auto Shop and helped paid for it. The process was fast and smooth which is great when being involved in a stressful situation. The coverage options for my policy was great for me and reasonably priced. They have many different options you can choose from depending on what you want in a policy. It made me feel at ease having this company in charge of my Auto Policy. Their reputation of being well run and timely with helping and responding to customer's needs is well deserved. They would respond quickly if I had an issue or needed to get some information. Their customer service was well mannered and were great listeners to help serve whatever need I wanted.

Lulette of Glendale, CA on

Claims were easy to file. The customer service representative was attentive, courteous, and very knowledgeable and helpful. It was easy to contact him when calls were returned promptly. I am not knowledgeable about all the coverage plans offered however the one I enrolled in was sufficient to cover the cost of repairs for my vehicle. Getting in an accident can be a traumatic and stressful experience. With AAA, claims were processed smoothly and I felt as though I was taken care of. My customer service representative was knowledgeable, thorough, and showed a lot of caring and compassion. He made the entire process flow smoothly.

Gary of Dallas, TX on

Hope I Don't Have a Claim... Have been using that little plug in thing. I have standard coverage... But do Not understand my Coverage. I keep getting the runaround and when I walk away not Understanding what my policy covers. Much too expensive. Supposedly I get a savings because of that Little plug in thing But I am not even sure it is working. Hard to get a handle on things. Customer Savings is alright. Not necessarily impressive by any means. But everyone is nice and at least acts like they care.

Lita of Los Gatos, CA on

They help you all the way to the end. If you have a question about anything they are more than happy to talk to you. They are very good company. I love them. I have full coverage with a 500 deductible but I am very satisfied with them. It is awesome. Also the towing service is exceptional. They make it so easy for you to get your car towed. They show up super fast. They will even give you a ride home. It's very nice, convenient. It is very, very cheap. You also can use your Triple A card at many, many restaurants, movies, a lot of things. I would recommend anybody who loves great insurance go ahead and get Triple A. Every time I have needed to call them they were on the phone right away, answered all of my questions. They even showed me other plans if I wanted another car or anything. They are very helpful.

Emily of Houston, TX on

Is very easy to make a claim because they help resolve any difficulties that may arise. His staff provide the best care to do things right. It encompasses any type of accident coverage and is suitable for broad enough general prefer it when it is necessary for good performance. Gives me an excellent confidence for the good work they do are important part of my tranquility. The service they provide is effective and relevant. His staff are friendly and make me feel well cared for care in resolving each of my concerns when I need them. I would say they are really concerned about giving the best service.

Sebastian of Columbus, OH on

They have a pretty simplified process for claims processing. The agents are knowledgeable and efficient, as well as hospitable and friendly. Their claims processing is very satisfactory. Their coverage is reasonable. They don't necessarily have the best in the business, but they do have a consistent and reasonably affordable policy. This company has made my life a lot easier in the insurance aspect. Also their benefits program allows me and my family to receive exclusive discounts in many locations. Their customer service is wonderful in that it is convenient, as well as friendly. I had no idea what I was doing at first, but after careful explanation, I was able to understand them.

Jana of Oklahoma City, OK on

The claims guy came out, looked at the damage, and we got a check for all but the depreciable amount. The process did not take a long time and we were able to get the repairs done quickly. They provide much the same coverage as any other insurance company. It was adequate for our purposes. It seemed a bit more expensive. We have to have insurance and so I pick the cheapest with the best coverage. I was never able to talk to my agent. She never returned my phone calls. I always had to talk to a different person. They apparently prefer you to do everything online.

Margaret of Madera, CA on

Very super easy to file a claim. They don't make you feel wrong for getting into an accident. Very friendly and convenient place. Best coverage offered. It keeps me covered and my family covered. Very fast and efficient ways to make payments too. The value of the entire business is very high. They treat you like family. It's very fast and easy one stop building to make payments. Super fast and low rates. Best customer service. I can make all my payments in one spot. No more long lines at the dmv to get my tags. I can get all that plus new registration papers at AAA. I would highly recommend AAA Auto Insurance.

Ron of Philadelphia, PA on

They were very helpful. They were on top of things and then contacted me in a timely fashion. I am very satisfied with their help. I like the coverage they provide. They provide comprehensive accident coverage. I like that I don't have to worry about my rates and I get a lot of coverage for the price. It has a great value. I brag to my friends and let them know the coverage and effectiveness of this plan. In addition you get a lot for very little. I can sleep well knowing that they are on my side and that I don't have to worry about staying on top of things.

Paul of Mcminnville, OR on

My overall experience with customer service has been good. I don't feel I would have any problems with going through a claims process with them. I'm a young man in my twenties and I found that switching my insurance to theirs reduced my monthly costs by at least fifty percent. Then the laws changed in my state with the way insurance rates were handled and my agent reduced the costs by even more! The value for me is in the cost. No one likes to pay a large monthly fee for car insurance, but I am able to be covered while not breaking the bank. I've only had the opportunity to discuss the opening of my plan and renewal of it, but each interaction has been quite good and professional.

Xaviera of Houston, TX on

Easy to make a claim and get the damage access and get back on the road. Free rental while car is in the shop. Great customer support. Great and friendly mechanic shop. Deductible was reasonable. Easy to get a quote online and representatives call you back right away. Have great discounts to get you the lowest price available. Able to cover my home and car with one rate. Easy and convenient. Great value. Not only am I able to cover my home and car. But I also get free towing for the first 100 miles, roadside assistance, great customer service, and when I am stranding in the side of the road with a flat it doesn't take them more than 30 minutes to get to me. When you call and need assistance, They call you back to make sure the driver has reach you. They check back on you to make sure everything is okay. Their customer service goes above and beyond every time.

Robert of Burney, CA on

The day I filed my claim, they contacted the tow company and arranged to inspect the vehicle the next day. Within four days after my claim, they had determined the vehicle was a total loss and a check was on its way. I did not expect the friendly, courteous and prompt service which I received. You need to be prepared for a jump in your insurance premium.

Dan of Howell, Michigan on

I am pleased with this company and they are much better than the last company that I used. I find that you need to call the local agent with policy or billing questions as customer service at the 800 number is useless. I have both my cars and house with them. My last insurance company (Allstate) gave me a great rate for these but raised the premium by about 50% the second year (no claims). At least AAA has lowered my rates over the years.

Paul of Columbia, MO on

I have the necessary coverage for a car with payments still being made. I am covered for bodily injury liability, property damage liability, excess medical payments, uninsured motorists, under insured motorists, as well as collision and comprehensive. It may provide peace of mind about potential future hazards and car accidents, but as soon as my car is paid off, you can be sure that I will cut my coverage to a more affordable level. I have had excellent customer service experience with AAA. Most of my interaction has been done in person locally at a branch location. There have been some instances when my interaction has been with representatives over the phone, but in either case my needs have been more met.

Jennifer of Upton, KY on

Can't really say - have never had a claim, but I have every confidence that my local agent will make it as painless as possible. Handling everything quickly, fairly, competently. I don't really know enough about insurance to know good coverage from bad coverage, but I have total faith in my local agent - that they have provided me with enough coverage, yet still in my budget. While I hate having to pay insurance every month without ever making a claim, I know I need it in order to drive my car. I feel that my local agent has provided me with a policy that is a good value. My agent is part of my community. Just today I went into the office to pay my monthly premium. As soon as I walked in the door, I was greeted by name.

Jessica of Salinas, CA on

Calls were quick and informative. They were able to answer all my questions and get the issues resolved quickly. It was also flexible in when I could call to make a claim. Had a multi-car coverage that had a variety of coverage options related to how far and frequently we drove. There were also good discounts available. This is not the cheapest option out there, but the quality of customer service and coverage goes a long way in justifying the cost. It offers peace of mind. Customer service has always been courteous, well-informed, and efficient. All my calls have ended to my satisfaction, and the website is helpful too.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

AAA is officially a federation of motor clubs that offers auto insurance to drivers across America. The company now has more than 54 million members, and it operates out of its corporate headquarters in both Heathrow, FL, and Washington, D.C.

• Specialized insurance: AAA Auto Insurance offers policies to drivers of very specific types of vehicles, like classic cars.
  • Educational opportunities: The company offers drivers online courses in defensive driving, which gives customers a 10% discount on their plan.
  • Personal injury protection: Insurance plans cover driver and their families even if they are injured while in another person's vehicle.
  • Accident Assist: People who cover their vehicles with AAA accident can take advantage of the company's Accident Assist program, which provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.
  • Garage parking discount: AAA offers many unique discounts to members, including ones who choose to park their car in a protected garage rather than outside in the elements.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers looking for reliable insurance, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers with family members.

Compare Auto Insurance