2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.82/5

BOTTOM LINE

AAA auto insurance is offered by the Automobile Association of America to its members in all 50 states. Happy customers appreciate the personalized service they receive by working with a local agent and say the claims process is fast and their insurance rates are reasonable.

PROS

• Excellent roadside service
  • Gap insurance, rental car and other add-ons available
  • Gives multiple discounts up to 27%

CONS

• No discounts for teen drivers
  • Available only to AAA members
AAA Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

We have had AAA for over 20 years and just recently changed due to AAA being so expensive in Arizona for our home. But I was in two accidents while we were with AAA in California and they took care of everything for us. I never had to deal with the medical, and I was life flighted out of one location to a hospital. They handled every aspect of dealing with the other vehicles involved, I would highly recommend this company. Now when it comes to Progressive RUN RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN BECAUSE WHEN IT COMES TIME TO FILE A CLAIM THEY WILL NOT WORK WITH YOU FAIRLY.

Original review: July 30, 2020

We switched to AAA for the bundling. And we are glad we did. They not only were able to insure our vehicles, trailer, and home. That was why we switched from GEICO after 26 years. AAA does their own insuring unlike Geico that farms out the homeowner insurance. AAA also gives discounts for membership in various organizations or affiliations. They even give out discounts for the amount of years that you are with them. We never got that from Geico. We have been happy with AAA, especially since we can keep everything with one company. Even our membership too. As for vehicle insurance they will tailor what you want and give out honest quotes. Luckily so far we have not had to do a claim for our vehicles with them. But, unfortunately, we did have to do it with our house insurance.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: July 29, 2020

Have had AAA for over 40 years. No hassle. Good rates. I supposed someone out there may be cheaper but not enough to change. Loyalty matters in car ins. Move to a new company and have an accident and they likely won't renew your policy. Then you are out looking for ins with an accident in the last year. Whatever savings you thought you had is now gone.

Original review: July 27, 2020

We've had two claims in 9 years. A blown tire from a semi hit the front of our Prius on the freeway and our truck was rear ended at a stop light. We put in a claim for the tire episode by phone with AAA and it was handled easily and quickly with no problems. After getting estimates we were able to take the car to the repair shop of our choice and the shop was paid promptly. Every few years I get quotes from other insurers and always end up staying with AAA.

Original review: July 26, 2020

It seems expensive, but in my two not-at-fault accidents, the coverage was substantial. The first accident caused considerable damage to my car, which was covered except that the AAA adjuster decided an alignment was not necessary. This led to a flat tire on a busy bridge – dangerous situation! The second accident was an out-of-control driver, and my car was trashed. My passenger later died, and I was badly shaken. The other driver had limited insurance, but I had adequate coverage, which, as far as I know now, will cover the damages that her insurance won't cover.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I have been a member of AAA since 2002 and have never been treated so bad as I have in the last couple of days. In October of 2019 I had a bad battery and purchased one from AAA. Again I have had battery problems again and was told my battery was under warranty. The first time a truck came out they did not have the right battery on the truck. We were told to call the next day and a truck would have my battery. When we called the next day the AAA rep told us to call the original company to see if they had the right battery and then call AAA back to set up service. We insisted AAA do the followup and then set up service. The second time the truck came, again no battery. We are told we have to call again the next day for service. I do not think I will renew my membership based on treatment received. Please note there is no place in AAA to file a complaint when a customer is treated the way we were!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I got car insurance through AAA rep Michelle P. on 7/28/20. She insisted I provide my checking account info, which I did. Later called the 800 number and canceled the direct debit and opted to receive a paper bill. Received a paper bill for $63.91 due 8/29/20. Do to non-responsiveness from Michelle regarding also getting homeowner's insurance, I canceled the car insurance on 8/23. On 8/26/20, AAA stole $177.65 from my checking account.

I emailed Michelle, and also her boss Mgr. Richard V. Both claim that they could not see this debit. I provided proof from my bank. Richard stated, "Accounting has confirmed nothing has been withdrawn from your now canceled auto policy". WTH does that mean?? He obviously does not understand. I again told Richard that AAA took money from my checking account and probably applied it to a different customer's AAA account. I pleaded with him to look into this. So far, I have not received a response. I am irate that AAA can get away with stealing.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

Myself and many family members were proud AAA members in the early 2000’s... Since, most everyone has either left or Switched to a different insurance provider. Various reasons but one common issue that we all discuss occasionally: they have a super aggressive “pay now or we cancel” policy - but are extremely lousy when having to step up and be proactive in fulfilling the promised “we are here to help when you have an accident”... I understand, it’s a business and the people working at my neighborhood office are nice: explaining “it’s a computer...” - but AAA has many online flaws that over the years never been corrected.

AAA has every bit of my information (and that of all my other family members) and yet they can’t communicate in a timely manner via phone, email, mailbox, text message or any of the other communications platforms available - all I get I’ll once a while is a “your policy is canceled due to non-payment” (usually two days before that deadline is there) - and then a whole list of terrible consequences that will follow. I’ve been with AAA 27 years!!

There are only two family members left with them! I had one accident in 27 years and did not even receive any financial help... I have homeowners insurance. AAA aggressively sends me twice a year invitations for Life Insurance but publicly claims that my HIV positive sisters and brothers cannot get it - we know for 25 years that people with HIV have a completely “normal” life expectancy - yet AAA fiddles an archaic notion that it is too risky to cover anyone with HIV (it’s okay if you have diabetes or are a chain smoker)!! I’m done with AAA!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Okay so I was hit by their insured.. They accept liability. My wife was hurt. During Covid and we are dealing with far more pressing medical issues. Do you think they want to do the right thing? NO I am and I quote "pissing them off" because I think 1,000 dollars is not enough to cover my wife's injuries. I ask for 2,000 which is reasonable considering we want to get her treatment once we resolve or figure out what other medical issues we have going. Plus we would like to hope Covid will go away soon too. Anyhow so we were told to get a lawyer if we want more than the 1,000.

I guess they are used to people who don't make a lot of money just rolling over and taking the offer they give as long as it's over 50 cents. Not me. I'll just take up this personal campaign against them. I can do with or without their 1,000 dollars. The point is far bigger. These guys are obviously used to getting away with shorting the little guy. I say we find better start up companies who appreciate our business and respect people as people. Do not give these guys one thin red cent!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Their customer service is top notch. I 'bundle' my auto and home insurance, and no matter what the claim is, someone is always available to help. I've been a customer for years, and I highly recommend them!

AAA Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company is a motorist membership organization that offers auto insurance and other services. You don’t need to be a member to purchase coverage, but members do receive special discounts. The company has an A+ rating from AM Best for financial strength.

• Coverage and plans: AAA offers auto insurance in line with state requirements. Common coverages include comprehensive, collision, uninsured motorist coverage, medical coverage and rental car reimbursement. AAA Auto Insurance is available in all 50 states.

• Cost: A 30-year-old with a good driving record can expect to pay $215 a month, on average. Membership dues for AAA clubs range from $50 to $130.

• Discounts: The most common AAA auto insurance discounts are for good driving, safety features and bundling policies. AAA membership also comes with discounts on hotels, prescriptions, phone plans and movies.

• Standout feature: AAA Auto Insurance’s Accident Assist program provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor