Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.77/5

BOTTOM LINE

AAA auto insurance is offered by the Automobile Association of America to its members in all 50 states. Happy customers appreciate the personalized service they receive by working with a local agent and say the claims process is fast and their insurance rates are reasonable.

PROS

• Gives multiple discounts up to 27% to all AAA members
  • Additional AAA member benefits include travel guides and maps for long trips
  • Established company that’s been around for over a century
  • Excellent roadside service
  • Added coverages include gap insurance, rental car reimbursement and non-owner insurance

CONS

• No discounts for teen drivers
  • Available only to AAA members

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

AAA is awesome. The process of filing a claim is easy and the representative was very helpful. It was settled quickly and I was able to buy a new car within a few weeks. Also, they are willing to find solutions and discounts to match premiums with what you can afford.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

AAA insurance is less expensive than Liberty Mutual and Allstate. I was with Liberty Mutual for 10 years and became more and more expensive and I never made a claim. Before I was with Allstate for over 30 years and only had a minor non-chargeable accident 15 years before I dropped them. AAA Insurance (the auto company) is out of California and customer service is excellent.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I have been with Automobile Club of Southern California for over 15 years. The price is very good and they also will give me 9 months to pay or a 12 mo plan. I chose the 9 mo plan. If anything happens just call the 24 hour dispatch and you get immediate help. Ask if you are ok, is your car driveable, if not where do you need it towed - home or repair shop. They get right on your claim. I was hit in the rear sitting at a red stop light. Did not have to pay a deductible. They also kept me updated on the status of the claim. They also have a class called Drive Sharp on the computer for elderly drivers. When you complete it you get a 4% discount on it. You also get a discount for parking in a garage, multi policies and good driving record. I can also get my tag there any any other DMV services. Love this company.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I was surprised to find out AAA offered car insurance in addition to road service. Their rate was far more competitive than the other insurance companies I have dealt with. There was also an additional discount because I bundled road service with car insurance.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Was in an auto accident where a lady ran in front of me, I hit a bridge column and damaged my vehicle. Elliot from AAA was not only concerned about my well being but he also went above and beyond for me! I am forever grateful and blessed to be a consumer of this Insurance company. Highly recommend!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Prior to going with AAA I only dealt with State Farm and Progressive who had the same operating policy. First the rate that was quoted was for 12 months and did not change even though I paid in 6 month increments. With AAA and driving the same vehicle without any accidents, claims or traffic citations, my 6 month renewal rate has increased every time without exception for the past 3 years. I called this to the attention of one of their representatives and was told this was due to a risk reassessment of the geographic area in which I live. 6 times?? Come on!!

Almost forgot. I remember getting loyalty discounts and accident free discounts with my former carriers. My 3 plus years with AAA insurance has been the complete opposite. The AAA insurance coverage was introduced less than 5 years ago to the AAA Motor Club of Western Pennsylvania where I have been a long time member. Did we link up with a bait and switch organization?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

AAA took over a policy renewal that I had with Safeco and sent me a cheaper rate to get me to sign up but a whole page of fine print coverage was not offered for that price and I would have to pay to get that if I want it. I asked to add my husband to my home insurance policy and went ahead and paid for the auto policy and was going to pay for the home policy once it was updated. After multiple emails and calls, no one fixed the home policy that I was willing to pay more for but needed my husband on the policy. They never responded to my calls or emails but keep sending me reminders to pay for the policy.

Neither policy was in effect with AAA yet as I was going to get them renewed before they expired with Safeco. After two weeks passed and nothing was updated by AAA, I decided to cancel the auto policy that I paid for so I can take both policies with the same company and get a bundled discount. I actually saved over $1000 by doing it with another company.

Since I had paid for the auto policy in full, I called AAA to get a refund. The policy was not in effect yet and the person who processed the refund confirmed twice when I asked that it would be a full refund. I logged on that evening to see if it was processed and there is a $30 charge for a policy that never went into effect yet, that no one ever told me that there would be a cancellation fee for-just a nightmare. I called and asked why they didn't refund me the full amount and they said that's their policy. I asked to see a copy of the policy since nothing that I received showed that there would be a cancellation fee for a policy that didn't go into effect. They told me the policy is only for employees and I cannot see it. I asked for the situation to be escalated and for a manager to call me back and they told me that department does not call customers.

I have never heard of such a thing in my life. They do not tell you about the cancellation fees, they confirmed I would get a full refund which was not true, and they said they do not call their customers back. What company does this? I will take this further because their calls are recorded and I have the phone call logs and emails that I sent numerous times without any response. I am very happy that I did not proceed with them because if this is happening before the policy goes into effect, I cannot imagine what would happen if I had an accident or needed them to fix something. Please DO NOT use this company!! They are scams and do very shady business!!! Everything has been a scam with them!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

Worst insurance company I ever dealt with. They never send the bill. They discontinue your insurance without notification even though you're paid up. Totally incompetent customer service reps/ agents. Price was extremely high also. They sent me a cancellation notice but when I called them to actually cancel and tell them I had a different insurer, all the sudden they owed me $550 for the refund check, which they said would be sent out in 4 or 5 weeks. I did get the check in about 4 days though. Every time I called them they couldn't find my account. They called and harassed my family members, sent letters addressed to me but with their name on the bill. These family members had nothing to do with my insurance and I didn't give them their contact information. This is with me having a credit balance. Total incompetence. I wouldn't recommend AAA insurance to my worst enemy.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

Wife was hit by a AAA insured person. Horrible experience trying to get anything done with them. Lesson learned when dealing with aaa. Hire a lawyer right away and let them deal with it. Took way too long to get paid out, no rental car offered, didn't pay us what our old van was worth. They couldn't even get ahold of their client who hit us... Horrible!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I was a victim being given the wrong information which led to an unauthorized charge to my account after the AAA travel person informed me I would not be charged for my booking through the AAA travel site. Here's what happened: I booked a reservation via AAA for Fiesta Henderson and called the front desk to find out what my options were because AAA specifies on their site "Contact the property directly for their deposit policy." So, I do that. I call and tell the front desk person, "What are my options for editing the booking date or canceling? Depending on what your policy is, will depend on what I do with my booking." The hotel front desk person says, "I don't know. I don't have access to any information since you booked with a 3rd party." You would think they would at least have cancellation policy, right? They eventually do. Read on.

I call AAA minutes later and I ask the same question. The AAA agent puts me on hold to find out. He says, "You just booked a few minutes ago. You can't make a change, but it hasn't gone through so there is no charge for cancelling. I will cancel this for you and you will get an email confirming that. I say, "Okay, great. Thanks. Is there a case number for this in case I do get charged." He gives me this. A day later I see a pending charge from the hotel. I call AAA. They tell me that a fax has been sent to this hotel to request the refund for the 29.58 charged to my account. I call AAA back to find out what the status is about the hotel's response to the fax (3rd phone call). They have no idea and say, "There needs to be more research on this ma'am. Here is the case number to refer to it when you call back." I take down a second case number.

(4th call to AAA) I call to check what the status is with AAA since the Hotel said, "I don't have access to any information." AAA says, "I dont have any information here other than, (reads notes) 'AAA called hotel and spoke to Nick and' yes, please call the hotel. They have the information." (5th call) I finally get a hold of Nick at the front desk Fiesta Henderson Hotel by chance, today, 2 weeks after my booking. And the answer is, "Cancellations done within 72 hours of the hotel booking will forfeit your deposit."

I was never informed of this policy AND I carefully took the time to find out from multiple places/people, which includes AAA multiple times. If I was clearly informed of this, I would have stayed at the hotel instead of canceling. Now, my card has been charged an amount I did not approve. Now, time to file a claim with my bank. Poor service AAA in not admitting your responsibility in the fraudulent charge to my account and for giving me the run-around. 4 years as a AAA member was great, but I may have to think again about renewing.

Not sure about AAA Auto Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

AAA Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Officially, AAA is a federation of motor clubs that offers auto insurance to drivers across America. The company now has more than 54 million members and operates out of its corporate headquarters in both Heathrow, FL, and Washington, D.C.

• Specialized insurance: AAA Auto Insurance offers policies to drivers of very specific types of vehicles, like classic cars.

• Educational opportunities: The company offers drivers online courses in defensive driving, which gives customers a 10% discount on their plan.

• Personal injury protection: Insurance plans cover drivers and their families even if they are injured while in another person's vehicle.

• Accident Assist: People who cover their vehicles with AAA accident can take advantage of the company's Accident Assist program, which provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.

• Garage parking discount: AAA offers many unique discounts to members, including ones who choose to park their car in a protected garage rather than outside in the elements.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for reliable insurance, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers with family members.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor