Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
AAA Auto Insurance
3.27/5

AAA Auto Insurance

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

AAA auto insurance is offered by the Automobile Association of America to its members in all 50 states. Happy customers appreciate the personalized service they receive by working with a local agent and say the claims process is fast and their insurance rates are reasonable.

PROS

• Gives multiple discounts up to 27% to all AAA members
  • Additional AAA member benefits include travel guides and maps for long trips
  • Established company that’s been around for over a century
  • Excellent roadside service
  • Added coverages include gap insurance, rental car reimbursement and non-owner insurance

CONS

• No discounts for teen drivers
  • Available only to AAA members

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1015 AAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I was hit by a AAA insured member and both he and AAA immediately took full responsibility for the accident. My husband and I took initiative to get things settled quickly as we did not want to hang in limbo as this was adjusted and addressed. At the time I was hit, I was three months pregnant yet thankfully did not experience any injuries other than anxiety for the health of my baby. We did not push charges or flaunt the fact that I am pregnant over the member’s head or AAA’s head as leverage.

AAA assigned us an adjuster, Alexandra Salazar, who, from day one, was exceptionally difficult to get a hold of. She’d often return our calls only 5 minutes before leaving the office for the day, and her office hours constantly changed and she almost never answered the phone during her office hours - we always had to leave a voicemail and then wait several days to get a callback. Additionally, she was extremely vague about the next step that we needed to take in regards to rental car, body shop work, etc. I did not want to draw out this process and wanted to follow whatever due process AAA had in place to get my car fixed and have this issue resolved ASAP.

Unfortunately, it was like pulling teeth over the next several weeks to get clear and specific input from Alexandra, and my car was not driveable at this time. I was told to “just Uber or something” and then submit my receipts at the end, which I did until we got an estimate for the repair time and eventually a rental car. We had a past incident with a State Farm insured member in which I was rear ended, and the ease, efficiency, and professionalism with which State Farm handled the rear-ender was in stark contrast to how AAA handled the whole matter.

All in all, it cost us $2000 out of pocket for body shop repairs (AAA said that we’d have to pay for repairs, they wouldn’t allow the body shop to bill them directly - again, completely unlike State Farm), Uber, and the rental car (again, State Farm set the rental car up for me under their account, while AAA told me to just submit my receipts when all is said and done), and it took over three months to get AAA to even acknowledge our claim despite submitting it in a detailed manner on a spreadsheet with all our receipts. We waited, waited, and waited - despite my husband calling multiple times to check on the status of our reimbursement, we were given time frames in the order of “hopefully in the next week or two” yet nothing would come through.

Once it was finally acknowledged and processed, they only wanted to pay $1500 - mind you, ZERO of this accident was my fault, and weirdly enough they agreed with that, but still only wanted to pay $1500 because they gave excuses like “you drew out the process” and “you paid too much for your rental car” (we rented a rental care nearly identical to my Honda Accord) despite not being given a clear amount that we could pay.

So much arguing between AAA and my poor husband who was helping to handle the issue - manipulative statements from our claims agent Alexandra, lack of responsibility on the part of AAA, and even after pressing for the full $2000 (had to call another customer service department for this), we only received $1700. We would’ve had to press charges against the man who hit me or AAA itself to receive the extra $300 which doesn’t seem worth it at this point. Headaches, frustration, and feelings of manipulation and apathy characterized every single interaction we had with Alexandra and AAA regarding this claim.

Although it’s a separate department, by principle we will no longer will be paying for AAA roadside assistance. We had excellent interactions with State Farm insurance in the past and will be switching to their roadside assistance. All in all, at the end of the day despite doing nothing wrong my husband and I were out $300 bucks, not to mention the hours, energy, and headaches involved with dealing with AAA.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I been member of AAA for over 20 years. I finally decided to purchase car and home insurance from them. I had the car insurance for a year. When it was time for renewal, they decided to increase my premium dramatically. I shopped for different insurance company and switched over. I called to notify them with the change. They told me to let it expire and I will be done. One month later they send me a bill for over $400 claiming they added services for my plan one month prior to renewal. I called them and told them I have never requested these added services and they never billed me for it. They insisted that since they added them I have to pay it even if not requested. They refuse to reverse. Horrible horrible company - stay away.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Bought a car back in July. Called. Added car to my policy. Payment went up by 19.00 a month then later in Nov received a bill in the mail for over double my monthly payment even with the multi policy discount. I called to inquire and was told no matter what I was saying the bill was due and needed to be paid. I asked to speak with a manager who also was just as rude talking in circles and finally saying the reason for this high bill was because they just now added my second car to my policy (yes the car I added back in July).

When I explained to her I didn’t understand them just now adding this car to my policy because my bill went up in July when I added the car. She tells me no I have never paid on this car, puts me on hold forever then comes back on the phone saying, "The pictures of your car wasn’t taken til Aug." as if that had anything to do with my bill being so high. Then when I asked her to explain why they would be just now adding this to my policy she cut me off, kept overtalking me then placed me on hold and never came back to the phone. Totally unprofessional. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

This company is just like any other big business. Their only concern is their bottom line. How much money they can keep and get from Mr. and Mrs. Penny Pincher. I was in a car accident (rear ended) which resulted in me getting whiplash. Not a major personal injury but an injury nonetheless that cost me over a thousand dollars and three months in a back and neck brace where I was limited in my activities (including activities with my three young children).

After sending in my medical information AAA determined (after their own careful review) that I didn't sustain any recoverable bodily injury damages as a result of the incident. If I wanted I could open a lawsuit to fight for my claim. No lawyer wants to take on my case because it's not profitable to them. An injury under 2,000 isn't worth their time. In my opinion that's really their "careful review" seeing it will cost me to file a lawsuit, and no lawyer is going to take the case. I make 8.25 an hour. A thousand dollars doesn't come easy... What's the point in paying for car insurance if it's not going to help you anyways?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I have been a member of AAA starting in 1980. They are NOT the same service company they were. At 1:30 one of my new tires had a blowout. They told me it would be 3.5 hours before they could send someone. After 4 hours a tow truck came. We did not get 5 miles when that tow truck broke down with my truck on it. I called AAA and they told me it would be at least another 3.5 hours for another tow truck. My story is about the same as the other ones on this site. What I did not read is why these long waits?

I feel sorry for the tow truck drivers that have to deal with us. By the time they get there we are so upset. It is not their fault but it is AAA fault. What is going on is AAA pays these companies so little that they don't have a lot of companies that will go under contract with them. This is what the driver shared with me. AAA pays them $25.00 for the hookup and after the first five miles $2.50 a mile. If they drive you 5 miles they only get the $25.00. They might of had to drive 15 miles to get to you, they don't get paid for that. It took about 20 minutes to get my truck on the tow truck.

So by the time these tow truck drivers take that $25.00 and take out their time, gas, insurance and wear and tear there is no money left for them to feed their families. AAA should be ashamed of themselves. AAA is selling us their old reputation after taking our money. They don't care about us or their drivers. They have to remember without those tow truck drivers there will be no AAA. Please remember not to take it out on the tow truck drivers but write a review. The ones that do come after 3-4 hours are overworked and underpaid. I plan on looking for another company soon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

On Feb 19 2018, we drove our car back from the car dealer to our apartment after they fixed the fuel pump problem and parked it in the parking lot. But we found our car still needed to repair the timing chain and replace the speed sensors. In order not to damage our car’s timing chain by driving, we called AAA to tow it to the dealer on Feb 20 2018. However the towing guy made a mistake when he tried to tow our car to the slope platform of his truck. Because he did not hold the car by the winch hook firmly, it fell off from my car and my car rolled backward from the slope platform. My car was damaged badly and it almost hit my husband and left our newborn baby without dad. Surprisingly, AAA denies the damages. And the towing person even did not say "Sorry" to my husband after almost killed him but put the damaged part onto my car to hide his damages.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

What happened to good old AAA in taking care of claims? Used to be same day service. Now there is an endless number of hoops to jump through. Numerous questions in initially filing the complaint. Then it is passed off to an adjuster who responds with an email to call. My call is still unanswered. This is terrible service. I haven't seen a live body yet after three days of this endless process. By the way claim number **. Please note that there are fewer individuals in the United States than that number. Just another sign of their inefficiency.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

My husband & I are 69 years old. Our last province infraction was not stopping at a stop sign in 2003. My husband works 2 miles from our home, & only works 4 days a week. I am retired, & disabled. I drive 24 miles round trip, once a week food shop. We just got a new bill for $1,234.19 for 6 months! We have full coverage on one 2017 car, & just liability, on a 2003 Ford Ranger. I'm looking for a new ins. co.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

When getting a quote on auto insurance the agent wanted to include home. He was told that when it came due to renew if he was reasonable we could. He quoted car and I made down payment. Issues began 3 weeks later when he wants a inspector to look at home. No time was agreeable. The agent said that car insurance was going up. My mortgage company sent me a letter saying that they paid AAA for home insurance and now I have two policies and my escrow was going to be bad. I called to talk to AAA and was told that if I refuse to have home inspection the policy would cancel. I received refund. Called about car insurance and was told it was going up seven hundred. I cancelled. Now comes kicker. Month later I get bill for 150. I called and was told they didn't care. Pay or they will file report with credit bureau. Beware. Very dishonest employees and very rude and uncaring.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

DO NOT choose AAA for car insurance! They gave me quotes based upon a multi policy discount and never informed me and when I didn't choose them for my homeowner's policy, they jacked my rates up after I had already switched to them. So I went back to GEICO and had to start a new policy which is $550 more a year more than my previous policy. I loathe the day I gave AAA the chance at my business. And the manager at the South Austin branch had the nerve to talk over me and talk down to me when I expressed my displeasure with them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

2012 I bought Homeowners and auto Insurance for the Owasso, OK area. I ended it 4 years later this August 2018 attempting my first wind and hail claim. The outcome was not good, but more so the Agent always put me off to the 800 number and returned calls very badly or not at all. They say buy from local agents for service but I did better for years from an 800 number with Hartford than I did with this Tulsa Agent and firm. AAA is very very bad on claims so even if premiums are lower they are not worth it if they pay claims terribly when you need them in my opinion.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

AAA made a data entry error on verified mileage that nearly cost us an extra $700 in annual premiums. And, here’s the shocker, the first insurance specialist “S” refused to fix it! Went into AAA Irvine Branch to find out why auto insurance policy was higher than last year. Our mileage records on repair receipts documented last year’s mileage was only about 1000 miles. However, AAA had it at 5,501 - 7,500 annual miles. How did that happen? Wrong number entered into 2017 mileage field, off by about 5000 miles: obvious typo. “S” refused to correct the error. However, nearby specialist “B” overheard, came to the rescue, and walked “S” through the procedure to correct it, and would not leave her side until it was complete. Saved us $700 on the annual premium. Shocked that AAA makes those costly errors and that “S” refused to correct it. Buyer beware! Always save you mileage verification forms.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have had a great experience with AAA. The rates are very good and the customer service is exceptional. My agent is always prompt with any responses to inquiries and seems very honest and reliable.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Every time that I have had to contact them it has been a real hassle. When I can deal with the service without contacting it has been great for me and without any issues so that is most of the time that I have had with them.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My overall experience with insurance and with this particular company has been just fine. Haven't had any issues so far, and people I've known with similar insurance haven't run into any problems either.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

They are a very useful company. Their customer and roadside assistance is extremely helpful and has saved me on numerous occasions. I think they have a great value for customers and often have great deals.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Luckily I have never had to use them for an accident of any kind so I can't really speak to their processing of claims. I can say though that I have taken advantage of the roadside assistance multiple times over dead batteries in the sub-zero winters and they have always had someone out quickly without issue. They have always been nice over the phone.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

AAA Auto club does not supervise or properly train wrecker subcontractors. They do not require insurance to pay for your car damage when they wreck your car. Or your car falls off their wrecker, too bad. Simple care custody control coverage is all that is needed. Suggest you buy a plan with your Auto Carrier.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

This was overall a nice company just for the fact that my insurance agent was always willing to make time to take my call or visit with me if I dropped by her office. She always answered my questions and took time to explain anything I didn't understand. The payment amount I had to pay each month has been okay, not many of us like the fact that we have to pay this stuff at all, but for what I got out of this insurance company it wasn't bad. A nice company to do business with. In future, I will probably be staying with them for a long time.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

AAA is a bit pricey, but the coverage is awesome. I can talk to someone at anytime, without any effort if I have a question or need. They have offices all over the place for my convenience and the one near me even has a DMV built into it if I need to pay a registration and get a sticker right away. The claims process is easy and I do not feel like I am ever getting ripped off. It's not great value but good for peace of mind.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have had AAA Auto Insurance for more than 10 years and I have been generally satisfied with the service I have received from the company during this time. More than anything, I've gotten a lot of value from the roadside service offered through AAA, which is unparalleled. Further, I've found the rates to be pretty competitive. That's not to mention the additional discounts I get on travel, entertainment, and dining. I take advantage of these perks at least a few times per year and have saved a fair amount of money in the process. All in all, I'm quite pleased to be a AAA member.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

They are definitely not the cheapest, but they have some of the best customer service and dealing with them is hassle free. AAA members get a lot of benefits that other companies don't offer. I've taken advantage of their free towing several times and so have my family members, with no questions ask. The few times I've had to file claims they were always polite and tried to do most of the work for me, and I never felt like they were trying to rip me off. They always respond to my inquiries quickly.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Other than the fact about it being slightly on the expensive side, when I was in an accident, they took care of all the details. They called back and always let me know if I'm injured and asked if there was anything needed. You always need someone like that once you're in an accident.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

My wife had recently got into an accident and AAA provided excellent service when we needed it the most. They were on top of the matter right away. I would highly recommend using them to my friends and family.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

AAA has always been a company that provides good value. I had been a member of their roadside assistance for years. I decided to try their insurance. The quality and value matched their other services.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have not had any problems with having insurance through AAA, it has always been a great experience. I never have to worry about getting a flat tire or running out of gas or locking my keys in my car. The roadside assistance is affordable and has always taken care of me in a quick manner when something like that happens. The process is always easy, too, I just have to show my card and they take care of the rest. I can even use it to have issues taken care of for friends and family that I'm with. I can go into the AAA office for things that I don't want to go to the DMV to take care of, too. Plus, my actual insurance cost is lower than anything else I've found.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

AAA's customer service is always pretty quick. When I put in a claim, they are pretty responsive and keep me updated on the progress as it goes along. I have never had them give me a hassle on reporting anything or making a claim.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Do not buy AAA INS! The very reason you buy and pay for auto Ins is so you don’t have to go to court. AAA will not pay for a wreck that their policyholder is responsible for. Two CHP reports say he is 100% responsible, AAA admitted they are responsible yet I have had to file a lawsuit against the AAA policyholder (Not AAA Ins.) because the company he was paying for coverage will not pay one penny in restitution after 7 months! He is going to court by himself – think about that if you have AAA coverage - they do not pay! You're on your OWN! AAA Insurance has a company policy not to pay claims if at all possible and apparently train their “Adjustors” to deceive and lie to people who have been injured, leaving them with astronomical medical bills not being paid, destroying their credit because of corporate greed!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Ads on road service are false. Simple jump battery ends up with their contractor running my car into their truck. Contractor insurer denied coverage. Contractor lied and said damage took place when they were unloading my car from their truck. What is the difference, damage is damage. There would be no coverage if my car rolled over a pedestrian. AAA would not submit claim to their own claim department. AAA ads imply warranty, backing for their members, and ease of mine. Suggest you buy road service from your automobile insurer.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

My car was hit by a AAA insured driver. Police report says AAA member was at fault. AAA member agrees it was her fault. EASY right? AAA should fix my car.

Keep in mind I AM THE VICTIM. Through no fault of my own I was struck by another car. Here is what me, the victim, has to do according to AAA. AAA Cheryl ** (**) ASKS THIS OF ME!!!

She wants me to... take my car to a specific AAA preferred auto body shop. She would not send someone to my home to look at damage! I took it the shop they requested. The shop gave me the estimate. $2800. Send her copy of estimate. Take the car again, (estimate was too high). New estimate $600. Give a statement over the phone as to what happened at the accident. Wait until the AAA insured (lady who hit me) can be located, talked to by Cheryl. Send her the police report. Send her any information I may have including pictures. 8) Make her a drawing of scene of accident and send it to her and more... WOW, I'm the victim of an accident and... The victim of planned harassment and belittlement by AAA. They are very insulting.

Here is the way the law says it should work. I do nothing and they fix my car. They should have sent someone to me to look at my car. The estimate given should be acceptable. JUST FIX THE CAR! I don't care how little or how much it will cost them. I just want my car fixed. It's been weeks and no results. I'm still trying to get AAA to fix my car! My time is money. They ask me to spend a lot of time doing all these things. These people are corrupt and liars! The preferred shop seems like it's running a scam. I got a nonbiased estimate for $1700 through a big name reputable auto repair shop. This has got to be fraud... It is too much to ask for honesty from AAA reps. There is more to the story but too much to write here.

AAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AAA is officially a federation of motor clubs that offers auto insurance to drivers across America. The company now has more than 54 million members, and it operates out of its corporate headquarters in both Heathrow, FL, and Washington, D.C.

• Specialized insurance: AAA Auto Insurance offers policies to drivers of very specific types of vehicles, like classic cars.

• Educational opportunities: The company offers drivers online courses in defensive driving, which gives customers a 10% discount on their plan.

• Personal injury protection: Insurance plans cover driver and their families even if they are injured while in another person's vehicle.

• Accident Assist: People who cover their vehicles with AAA accident can take advantage of the company's Accident Assist program, which provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.

• Garage parking discount: AAA offers many unique discounts to members, including ones who choose to park their car in a protected garage rather than outside in the elements.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for reliable insurance, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers with family members.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky