Call toll free*
Call toll free
3.45/5
Based on 261 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AAA Auto Insurance

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

967 AAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

I've had the worst experience with AAA insurance. I was told AAA insurance was the best insurance. Which is why I switched from Geico. The agent that helped me with the switch failed in every aspect. Nice guy but very incompetent. I received an email from his supervisor to rate his service. I replied explaining how everything went wrong. I never heard back from his supervisor? My insurance was canceled due to him not following thru with the auto pay. I contacted AAA and all they can say is 'I'm sorry'. I had to pay more money out of pocket to reinstate. I can't afford to cancel because I will be billed $600.00 or more. Total nightmare.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Each encounter I have had with a AAA employee has been above par. While driving my car cama windshield flew up and smashed the windshield of my Jaguar. I was going about 35 miles an hour. I called AAA who happened to be my insurance company. The AAA operator open the claim for me. I don't think I would have thought about claiming this in my insurance. The process was smooth. When I had my accident, I did not want my car to be totaled. Looking back on it it was the right thing to do. Not only did they have to figure in the damage of the windshield in the hood, they would have to investigate why the latch did not work. Costly.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My experience with AAA was the worst car service I've ever received. My car originally broke down from overheating on 5/29/18. So, I called AAA to have it towed. When speaking to the receptionist, she explained the tow truck would arrive within 1 hour. After waiting 2 hours, the tow truck finally arrived. The man who finally showed up had track marks covering his arms, some of which were still bleeding, his teeth were black, and he seemed totally out of it. He never said hello, was cursing, yelling, and mumbling to himself throughout the entire encounter, and kept pulling at his own hair. As a nursing student, I was fairly certain he had used drugs recently. Standing there alone with a dead phone battery, you can imagine how apprehensive I was about getting in the tow truck with him. But, it was my only option as I did not have another ride.

He asked me where I wanted to go to have my car serviced. I would have liked to take my car to the Honda Dealer, but his erratic behavior deterred me from going to a garage that was far away. I told him to take me to the closest place possible because I was very concerned that he would wreck the vehicle. My suspicions were later validated when he swerved the truck as we were driving. The closest garage happened to be AAA garage in West Chester, PA which was approximately 0.75 miles away from the location of my vehicle. I agreed to have my car taken there under the circumstances. When we arrived, they told me it couldn't be fixed that day because it was too late and that I would have to wait until tomorrow (Wednesday) to have it fixed.

On Wednesday, they contacted me in the morning stating my car had a leak in the radiator and that I would need a new radiator, thermostat, and 2 hoses to fix it. They told me it would cost $800 to have this done. I agreed to the service. Later that afternoon, after my car was "fixed," I picked it up. They explained it was fixed and running fine. Well, the truth is, it wasn't running fine. After picking it up, my thermostat gauge was all the way up to HOT when driving it. I didn't think anything of it because I had just picked it up from the garage and to be quite frank, I'm not a mechanic.

4 days later, on Sunday 6/3/18, it broke down again. Same thing -- overheated. At this point, I was extremely frustrated. Because I was closer to my hometown this time, I called AAA again and had it towed to a mechanic that my family knows and trusts. He explained to me that after AAA fixed my car, it should have been test driven to see if the temperature gauge was still going up and it clearly wasn't. I feel as though something was missed or my car wasn't properly diagnosed to begin with. After paying $800 just to have your car break down 4 days later is very upsetting, to say the least.

I am so disappointed in AAA all around. My family and I have been members for many years and have paid so much money for our membership. To be treated in this way is an absolute disgrace. I am still attempting to get a refund or some sort of compensation for everything that has happened. My only hope is that this gets resolved in the near future.

Original review: June 2, 2018

AAA Auto Insurance have serviced me in CT, CA & NV for many years and have always treated me well. Agent informed me as to what I needed to do. Forms were submitted in a timely manner and claim was settled. But although service has been great the pricing is too high.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Getting the insurance was fast and the service was very friendly. I really enjoyed their towing roadside service. Seemed you could always count on AAA. Plus even if you were driving someone else's car it was covered. Also back then it was nice taking care of renewing my car's tags right at the same place. Made for a great overall one stop get it done and not have to wait in a line. Service was great as the workers were very friendly and knowledgeable and were able to set me up with what I needed. After having an incident they were quick to help me out and reassure me all would be fine. However, price of policy always seemed a little high. Of course back then I had a full time job and was able to afford having the protection.

Today I am with State Farm and they have a really great package and discounts for multi policies. I don't know if AAA does as the last time I checked with them they wouldn't take me because I had no coverage at the time. So I never went back to them. I didn't see that as a good enough reason to disqualify me. I have tried a few other companies over time. Some were good for awhile and some rates got too much. I have always been an excellent driver, so I feel I shouldn't have to pay high priced policies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: May 31, 2018

Unethical claim adjusters... caught lying to members about accident investigation. Received a letter as well as a phone conversation from opposing party insurance adjusters stating that AAA member was fully responsible for the accident. When we stated that an investigation had never been done yet so how could we be responsible, the opposing insurance adjuster said that AAA had already made the decision and phoned them. We have emails reflecting their lies to us. Shameful adjusters... definitely don't have their members' best interests in mind.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We switched to AAA after a horrible accident that was not our fault with a person who had no insurance or driver's license. The company we had was not helpful and very difficult to get a hold of and get any action. We walked into the local AAA office and they were smiling and quickly assisted us. We have had them for a year now and am very happy. We rear-ended a car with minimal damage and they handled and settled the claim for an at-fault accident quickly, making me very happy.

Original review: May 24, 2018

AAA Auto Insurance is good. It is incredible and fast of immediate response. It is the best of the best. I recommend AAA Auto Insurance totally.

Original review: May 24, 2018

AAA Auto Insurance is reasonable and work to make paying for insurance less painful. They are efficient, prompt and definitely know what they’re doing. All in all whenever I go on a search for cheaper or better I always come back to AAA.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I got a flat once and used AAA Auto Insurance and it was able to help me get through the situation right around the Christmas holidays so I was very happy about that. They were efficient.

Original review: May 23, 2018

When I came to them 2 years ago, I had very little and wanted to pay the lowest monthly rate possible. I took a $2000 deductible to get the rate. I don't know a lot about auto ins. but I remember asking if I could change the deductible when my situation improved and was assured I could. When I called my agent last year and said I was ready to lower the deductible, I was informed that unless I had repaired the problem under the car, I could not lower the deductible. It would have made a difference if someone had told me that at the time of purchase.

I live on social security and my savings went into renovating my daughter's basement into a home for me. I am 75 and no longer work. I feel trapped by the insurance company as there is no way I can come up with the deductible and my car was hit twice while I was not in it and even though I can make a claim, due to the high deductible, I am still responsible. So basically, I am paying for auto insurance I cannot utilize.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have been in transportation sales for more than 40 years travelling more than a million miles and to date have had only one minor accident which I thought was settled very favourably.

Original review: May 22, 2018

My husband was driving our lifted Jeep JK home from the shop. We had just replaced the plastic rear bumper with a new metal one and were heading home. We were in heavy stop and go commuter traffic, moving around 40 mph. We stopped. However, behind us, the pickup truck towing a landscaping trailer did not. We were hit from behind.

Initially, we thought the jeep was fine and didn't notice any damage to it after the accident but the AAA adjuster inspection report found the jeep had some damage. The truck didn't fare as well. Hitting our new rear bumper caused a lot of front end damage to his truck. His truck slide under our jeep. California is a "no fault state" for auto insurance. AAA worked with truck owner's insurance. Our claim was straightforward with no property damage or personal injury and the process was hassle free. No having to go back and forth. Our back bumper warranting a new metal one got replaced and minor crease in our tailgate got fixed. We were fortunate and very happy.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Filing a claim with AAA Auto Insurance was quick and easy. But my rates went up for the last two years because AAA had to pay out in claims. If you’re an insurance company and you have to pay out in claims people shouldn’t have to pay extra for it.

Original review: May 21, 2018

AAA is all about them, and not taking in consideration how many polices you may have with them. I have full coverage on my 4 cars and one on my home. Then on top of that you have to pay for a AAA road service policy with them at a $150.00 per year. I was backing up in my truck by a road worker because of the bad rain and the area was flooding. Then a car wasn't paying attention. We both meet together. I put a 2 inch crease in his bumper that was already dented in several areas, paint scrapings along the right side of it and a good size dent above the right side of the Quarter panel. I took pictures and made notes and comments on the picture from what I did and what was already done. I never heard back from AAA on what they did 'till I got my new policy. It went up and took a point off me. Come to find out they replaced the entire bumper against me. The claims adjuster lost the picture and didn't bother to get a hold of me for a copy.

Also I took my limited edition 2005 50th Anniversary in an authorized AAA body shop after a large truck dropped something of it's load and that knocked my side mirror off and dented the panel. After they had it for over a month I went by to check. Oh what a mess. Color didn't come anywhere near the color of the car. The AAA adjuster was pushing me to close the claim and keep working on the body shop's guarantee. After 4 more tries it still didn't match. Come to find out they had to use water base paint because California banned the paint used from Ford. I got the feeling AAA was working more for the body shop than me. He was rejecting the work I felt needed to be done. I am still unhappy. The depth of the paint on the rest of the car's stock color is deeper than the door they repainted and I was told take it up with them because the claim is closed. So do not settle your claim regardless what your AAA adjuster suggests.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I like the insurance because it is inexpensive. It was excellent for car repair and the customer service through phone is great. But at the same time, I don't expect to run into the experience of being threatened to be dropped and talked to in the manner the representative did when we asked for a quote on repairs. And having agent come out for roof replacement was horrible and demeaning. He was very rude. We also had a problem with the home ownership coverage.

Original review: May 20, 2018

AAA Auto Insurance is customer orientated and really like to help. They were fast and easy to work with. Never leave you without a doubt and that you know what's going to be happening. They go over and beyond call of duty to get you what you need. I had my claim within 30 days. Also they offer lots of benefits and that to me is a good value for the money.

Original review: May 19, 2018

My fiancé and I had a policy in Northern California. We moved to Northern California and still kept things as is and we had some medical issues and we were a few days late on paying, we get a notice we had been canceled without notice and we still had time, So we changed to Southern California AAA. What a hugeee difference and the agent told us we were being charged for a high amount of insurance that having a 2006 truck did not need. Well now we have a great agent and our insurance was cut in half which makes us happy! Southern California AAA the customer service is outstanding, The Northern California AAA customer service I’ve experienced They could use some help in customer service.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I had 3 claims to fix that all happened within 2 weeks of each other. I had one lady hit my back bumper and the other two were at fault. I cashed out the one claim that was covered by the other insurance, and then I cashed out 2 of the 3 rentals I had. They almost didn't let me cash out the second rental because they didn't think I knew it's PER CLAIM. So I get my inspection done at one of their approved places so I can find a shop. When I took it to the shop (not listed but approved) they decided not to give me third rental. The lady just talked at me with words but didn't actually explain the situation. I called her on it and she immediately transferred me to someone else. At that point I just said, I only called to set up my rental, can we do that?" And the new lady immediately did. Like why was it so hard? So a few days pass and my shop needs more money than they originally estimated.

Instead of taking their invoice they made the shop wait for the guy and reinspected, but they did different claims on different days! My repair was eventually done and I put all the money into the deductible (it was 2 claims, $1,000 total, $876 from AAA). But Jesus. All it was was body work on a Mercedes. It should have been as simple as the cost of new parts and labor (all of which were plastic, by the way). In the end AAA mailed the check to the shop the same day it was finished. In total it took 2 WEEKS to fix. All I needed were both bumpers and a trunk panel. On top of that each claim went to a different adjuster, so keeping track of who was on which one was nearly impossible.

The guy who handled the cash out even called to confirm that I'm not fixing the bumper with that claim. Like what the hell--the cash out means it's over. No more claim. File closed. But no, he had to ask me about it after I cashed the check. How does it all take 2 weeks and a lot of harassment? Better question: how is any of this legal? I only demanded coverage I paid for with comprehensive and collision. They fought tooth and nail to prevent any assistance. I got lucky and had a VERY good shop. Had anyone else handled it I doubt all 3 claims would have been attended to.

Original review: May 16, 2018

We have had AAA in the past and the security of having roadside assistance was always comforting. I also like the dependability and the travel discounts! It became too expensive for us to use but we have considered reinstating our plan. We only had to use it one time in about 5 years but I always felt a little safer knowing we had the plan. Our experience with AAA while we had it was great.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I am loyal customer of AAA insurance from last 3 years and pay for whole year in full every year. Recently I added my wife in insurance and it’s going to renew in couple of months so representative told me it’s going to add that amount in next bill but before that they cancel my insurance. I already pay full till May, 2018 but they cancel it in March saying that, "You didn’t pay for additional driver". They ask me to rewrite application again so I did that and they charge me triple amount for my 2 car insurance and one of them is minimum liability insurance still they trying to charge me 900$ per month. That’s for basic cars. Ridiculous. They're saying that this is whole new application so previous loyalty can’t count. Whole new process from beginning. It’s feel like they trying to rob their customers. Really disappointed. They don’t like loyal customers.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Although I now have insurance through USAA, I have used AAA as a resource previously when I was in an accident and that company is incredible. It was easy to purchase and maintain a policy. The company was calm and gracious in its dealings with me. It includes a rental car if you are involved in an accident, and it also has roadside assistance in cases such as flat tire or break down. Towing can be so expensive without this. Sometimes in passing, you hear a buzz about companies from others who aren't happy, in this case I have only heard positive reviews from people about this company.

Original review: May 16, 2018

They offer reasonable prices and a lot of discounts for various qualifications. They also have a good package for car towing and vacation package discounts. However, I can't choose payment date - they won't adjust policy premiums to match a better payment date that is more convenient for me. I get paid twice per month and having my insurance payment fall during those dates would be helpful. Also, we purchased through an individual agent but when they retired they didn't put me with a new agent in my area. So now I must go through the main office and I never get the same person.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Purchasing my auto insurance was rather easy, I signed up online and within a few minutes I was talking to someone on the phone completing my transaction. It probably took me a half hour from the time I signed up online until I was hanging up the phone, and checking my email for my confirmation. I love everything about A.A.A. I like that I don't have to worry about my car breaking down, because if and when it does, I can call them and know they will send somebody to help fix the problem. I've never had to wait very long for a tow truck to show up, and while I am waiting they keep me posted with phone messages or texts. The only thing that would make this insurance company better than it is already would be the obvious... lower premiums! They are rather expensive which makes it very hard to keep them as my insurance company.

Original review: May 16, 2018

In a world of difficult companies that take consumers money, but offer little service, AAA Auto Insurance provides decent service compared to others. I have been driving for over 30 years and have never caused an accident, but has been hit twice. I filed a claim when another driver made a left in red while I had the right of way. I felt lucky that I got a few numbers of witnesses because if I didn’t, they would have paid the claim. I was unhappy because it is never legal to make a left in red. And I get frustrated that I am treated the same as people who are texting and reading their phones while driving. Talking on the phone and not paying attention to what is going on around them is a serious issue, but I don’t feel like insurance companies do anything except charge them more when they cause accidents. It is getting worse with almost every age group doing it.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I like AAA and the features and the policies they offer to help out the consumer. The company also allows add on on to your plan so you're able to get other people's cars towed as well. However, there are only two free tolls when I believe we should have unlimited from our insurance company and I believe they could improve that by adding unlimited tows so that you know the company has your back. My overall experience with the company is good but it does take a long time to get set up especially over the phone when trying to get insurance for multiple cars.

Original review: May 15, 2018

It was fairly easy to enroll. The process started online, but I did have to bring the car in for an in person inspection. Would have preferred if it could have been completely online. Re-enrolling always requires calls or office visits. I would like to auto-renew my policy each year to maintain coverage without thinking or taking action. Nonetheless the overall value is better than I've experienced with other insurers. Customer service is friendly and responsive, and the policies cover what they say they will. Insurance provides peace of mind.

Original review: May 15, 2018

They sat down and explained what they offered and what they thought was best for me. They let me know that I could add on to my plan. They gave me everything that I asked for and more. They have excellent customer service. I like the fact that I can combine auto and home and the prices are great. There is so many rewards being with AAA. I love all the additional discounts and offers that they have. I had a great experience with the company.

Original review: May 15, 2018

AAA Auto Insurance is really helpful and give you the right information. I would suggest to all people to give them a try, they are very fair and friendly.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Decent policy at decent price. Purchasing it was an easy process. The guy who set it up was fast and nice. Easy to reach on the phone or in person. They usually also have some people that I've seen around town there and that is interesting because now I know the secret place where they get their car insurance. Also they can tend to have some very fast lines which is cool. But they need to loosen up on all the claims proof. Sometimes you can't remember something. If you have proof of ownership you shouldn't have to list where it was purchased.

AAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AAA is officially a federation of motor clubs that offers auto insurance to drivers across America. The company now has more than 54 million members, and it operates out of its corporate headquarters in both Heathrow, FL, and Washington, D.C.

• Specialized insurance: AAA Auto Insurance offers policies to drivers of very specific types of vehicles, like classic cars.

• Educational opportunities: The company offers drivers online courses in defensive driving, which gives customers a 10% discount on their plan.

• Personal injury protection: Insurance plans cover driver and their families even if they are injured while in another person's vehicle.

• Accident Assist: People who cover their vehicles with AAA accident can take advantage of the company's Accident Assist program, which provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.

• Garage parking discount: AAA offers many unique discounts to members, including ones who choose to park their car in a protected garage rather than outside in the elements.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for reliable insurance, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers with family members.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky