2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.34/5

BOTTOM LINE

AAA auto insurance is offered by the Automobile Association of America to its members in all 50 states. Happy customers appreciate the personalized service they receive by working with a local agent and say the claims process is fast and their insurance rates are reasonable.

PROS

• Excellent roadside service
  • Gap insurance, rental car and other add-ons available
  • Gives multiple discounts up to 27%

CONS

• No discounts for teen drivers
  • Available only to AAA members
AAA Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Not going to hold back on how pricey it costs especially if you only want auto insurance. Probably the most expensive compared to the listed companies. However you pay for what you get! Great customer service who cares plus tons of extra perks.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

AAA is awesome. The process of filing a claim is easy and the representative was very helpful. It was settled quickly and I was able to buy a new car within a few weeks. Also, they are willing to find solutions and discounts to match premiums with what you can afford.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

AAA insurance is less expensive than Liberty Mutual and Allstate. I was with Liberty Mutual for 10 years and became more and more expensive and I never made a claim. Before I was with Allstate for over 30 years and only had a minor non-chargeable accident 15 years before I dropped them. AAA Insurance (the auto company) is out of California and customer service is excellent.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I have been with Automobile Club of Southern California for over 15 years. The price is very good and they also will give me 9 months to pay or a 12 mo plan. I chose the 9 mo plan. If anything happens just call the 24 hour dispatch and you get immediate help. Ask if you are ok, is your car driveable, if not where do you need it towed - home or repair shop. They get right on your claim. I was hit in the rear sitting at a red stop light. Did not have to pay a deductible. They also kept me updated on the status of the claim. They also have a class called Drive Sharp on the computer for elderly drivers. When you complete it you get a 4% discount on it. You also get a discount for parking in a garage, multi policies and good driving record. I can also get my tag there any any other DMV services. Love this company.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I was surprised to find out AAA offered car insurance in addition to road service. Their rate was far more competitive than the other insurance companies I have dealt with. There was also an additional discount because I bundled road service with car insurance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

Original review: June 25, 2020

In October of 2019, I had to get rid of my car because it wasn't good anymore. I just recently got a vehicle and they are charging me new customer rates. I am on disability so I wasn't go to pay car insurance on a car I didn't have anymore and had to wait until I had the money to replace my car. Even though I was with them for 20 years, longer for road side, and 13 years of homeowners, I was given a new customer rate on insurance. This is ridiculous to be penalized because I didn't own a car from Oct-June. So much for customer loyalty. I'll be looking for a new insurance company. Insurance is the only business that penalizes you for using the services you pay for.

Original review: June 16, 2020

My husband and myself have had AAA auto insurance for nearly 3 years. We bundled our renters' insurance with this and we are also AAA service members. There’s not much of a discount having all of these to begin with. Our auto insurance has lapsed because it was up for renewal and we will not be able to pay the premium for 4 days. I called to see if I could set up a draft for that day to get our policy reinstated in the interim. The answer is no. When other companies are working with people it seems like AAA feels like they have enough business that they don’t need to. We’re looking for auto insurance you may want to look elsewhere.

Original review: June 16, 2020

We have been with AAA for 4 years. First few years were great, we switched over cause our teenagers were driving. They offered a 12-month payment plan. The beginning of this year I get a letter saying they are canceling our homeowners stating the mountain behind us is a potential fire hazard. So I was left finding new insurance. Just this past weekend I get a letter stating our car insurance will increase by 833 a year due to not having the Multi discount. Well after 4 years I gotta say its time to move on. I did call, they weren't able to help with the increase. Be careful when you have both cause they can easily drop you and raise your premium.

Original review: May 29, 2020

Regarding AAA auto insurance refunding 20% of the premium because of the COVID-19 pandemic: So I got my COVID-19 premium refund check From AAA auto insurance today. And was going to use that to pay for the remainder amount of my payment. I had called a few months ago and was told I have to wait to get the check physically and then I could request to have it voided, to apply to my remaining balance.

I called in today spoke to manager and verified and they said, "Yes you can apply the check and just pay the remaining difference minus the cOVID-19 premium refund check amount." Then I get a phone call from AAA Half an hour later after I made the payment online, telling me that they cannot do that and I have no choice to go to the bank and deposit the check and expose myself to the COVID-19 virus???? Yet in your letter you say with the attached check: We stand by our slogan “We’re always with you” and in these uncertain times we are glad to be there for you providing legendary service and some financial relief.

But yet customers who are getting these checks and going to the bank to deposit them have to now expose them to the virus and risking potential death???? This is an EPIC FAIL beyond what Wuhan in China did, when they created the coronavirus COVID-19. SHAME ON you president and CEO John Boyle???‍♂️ FYI: I had posted this on their Facebook page and instead of trying to address the issue, they deleted my post and changed it to "share only" where I can't post anymore, so that should tell you a lot about the company. What an epic failure of a company especially in these times. Their true colors show.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I just got off the phone today with a Supervisor Meagan saying she is with Corporate reinstating a complete different amount than discussed with two other Supervisors; Ramone and another agent today. Meagan says pay April and May which is 1200 today because I failed to call or reverse 627.54 and waited to long to contact AAA. I tried to explain to her that I filed online complaint for the conversation and calls to be pulled because I called consistently more than once a day to confirm information balance make adjustments and other information as needed. To a point that I was told I had up until July before cancellation.

The problem is nothing is noted and I am now forced to figure this money issue, loss of employment with this crisis, waiting compensation, had this been explained in detail I would not be in this situation now. I was originally advised to pay as I can, given extension and then account blocked for ACH payments. This situation falls back as far as April 2020, when a payment was not stopped when it was made in error made online while speaking with a representative. The payment was not stopped as agreed to be reversed after requesting the same date, in which later my bank stopped payment and corrected fees. However, I found out that AAA has sent the payment for 627.54 back to my bank and to date I have been advised to try and make or do what I can do during this epidemic. My account was blocked from making payments because of this reversal.

I was on extensive holds trying to validate and being told to call back wait more days to return this payment and once paid my balance would be 1724.00 and could be paid before renewal. I took notes etc. to find out today that the block was not lifted and resubmitted today, and that whoever told me about the extension being changed to November and future normal payments of 399 could be paid, was wrong. To date supervisors stated there is nothing that can be done my complaint will not be heard because if I callback only another supervisor will explain the same; to pay 800 today and the next three months through my Renewal in August.

No other extensions existed and now I am in a crisis off work, not driving, verified all information I was told as far as even calling back for mileage adjustments for one of my vehicles on this three car multi-policy that I have, renter's, membership and auto. When I filed my feedback for complaint I was told that I should get a response back in 3-5 days. My policy, my insurance credibility and billing is impacted. I need for AAA to honor what was told and let me move forward with the original request.

Paying 800 a month because my policy renews in August could not be changed, should not have been told to me as such. However, when I called daily last week from 5/18- 5/20 I was told my account for payment is showing closed looking like accounting is working on this but was not done until today. I have been struggling through this pandemic to workout arrangements calling consistently, only to be told incorrect information and now my insurance must be paid in full 2390.00 or 800 today and Auto pay setup for the next 2 months.

AAA Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company is a motorist membership organization that offers auto insurance and other services. You don’t need to be a member to purchase coverage, but members do receive special discounts. The company has an A+ rating from AM Best for financial strength.

• Coverage and plans: AAA offers auto insurance in line with state requirements. Common coverages include comprehensive, collision, uninsured motorist coverage, medical coverage and rental car reimbursement. AAA Auto Insurance is available in all 50 states.

• Cost: A 30-year-old with a good driving record can expect to pay $215 a month, on average. Membership dues for AAA clubs range from $50 to $130.

• Discounts: The most common AAA auto insurance discounts are for good driving, safety features and bundling policies. AAA membership also comes with discounts on hotels, prescriptions, phone plans and movies.

• Standout feature: AAA Auto Insurance’s Accident Assist program provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor