Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
AAA Auto Insurance
3.33/5

AAA Auto Insurance

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

989 AAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

AAA Auto club does not supervise or properly train wrecker subcontractors. They do not require insurance to pay for your car damage when they wreck your car. Or your car falls off their wrecker, too bad. Simple care custody control coverage is all that is needed. Suggest you buy a plan with your Auto Carrier.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Do not buy AAA INS! The very reason you buy and pay for auto Ins is so you don’t have to go to court. AAA will not pay for a wreck that their policyholder is responsible for. Two CHP reports say he is 100% responsible, AAA admitted they are responsible yet I have had to file a lawsuit against the AAA policyholder (Not AAA Ins.) because the company he was paying for coverage will not pay one penny in restitution after 7 months! He is going to court by himself – think about that if you have AAA coverage - they do not pay! You're on your OWN! AAA Insurance has a company policy not to pay claims if at all possible and apparently train their “Adjustors” to deceive and lie to people who have been injured, leaving them with astronomical medical bills not being paid, destroying their credit because of corporate greed!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Ads on road service are false. Simple jump battery ends up with their contractor running my car into their truck. Contractor insurer denied coverage. Contractor lied and said damage took place when they were unloading my car from their truck. What is the difference, damage is damage. There would be no coverage if my car rolled over a pedestrian. AAA would not submit claim to their own claim department. AAA ads imply warranty, backing for their members, and ease of mine. Suggest you buy road service from your automobile insurer.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

My car was hit by a AAA insured driver. Police report says AAA member was at fault. AAA member agrees it was her fault. EASY right? AAA should fix my car.

Keep in mind I AM THE VICTIM. Through no fault of my own I was struck by another car. Here is what me, the victim, has to do according to AAA. AAA Cheryl ** (**) ASKS THIS OF ME!!!

She wants me to... take my car to a specific AAA preferred auto body shop. She would not send someone to my home to look at damage! I took it the shop they requested. The shop gave me the estimate. $2800. Send her copy of estimate. Take the car again, (estimate was too high). New estimate $600. Give a statement over the phone as to what happened at the accident. Wait until the AAA insured (lady who hit me) can be located, talked to by Cheryl. Send her the police report. Send her any information I may have including pictures. 8) Make her a drawing of scene of accident and send it to her and more... WOW, I'm the victim of an accident and... The victim of planned harassment and belittlement by AAA. They are very insulting.

Here is the way the law says it should work. I do nothing and they fix my car. They should have sent someone to me to look at my car. The estimate given should be acceptable. JUST FIX THE CAR! I don't care how little or how much it will cost them. I just want my car fixed. It's been weeks and no results. I'm still trying to get AAA to fix my car! My time is money. They ask me to spend a lot of time doing all these things. These people are corrupt and liars! The preferred shop seems like it's running a scam. I got a nonbiased estimate for $1700 through a big name reputable auto repair shop. This has got to be fraud... It is too much to ask for honesty from AAA reps. There is more to the story but too much to write here.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I got into a car accident. The other party was at fault. Well since I did the claim the person taking care of my claim never called me to give me any info about anything that had to do with the car accident. I was the one calling and asking. I also talked to his supervisor and different departments dealing with my claim like bodily injury because I ended up in the hospital due to being pregnant and getting hurt in the accident. To make this story short I’m the one that had to be seeking for information and dealing and negotiating with the other person insurance so piece of ** AAA that I pay almost $400 monthly. Didn’t help me at all. Now I’m overwhelm with high risk pregnancy dealing with my accident.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

They won’t honor their warranties. Two years ago I had to have AAA come out and replace a battery I had purchased from them just two months after the three-year warranty was up. That was in 2016. Fast forward to 2018 and my daughter was driving my car, because I had given it to her and the battery went dead. They replaced the battery and charged her for it. It’s supposed to be a three-year warranty with 100% replacement so I called their assistance so they would reimburse her. But no, they do not warranty the battery even for one day after purchase unless you are the one driving the car and call for assistance. That means their batteries are not warrantied whatsoever. If you send your grandma out in your car and the battery goes dead she’s going to pay for it or you will. I’ll never use AAA again. My regular insurance has roadside assistance. Don’t waste your money!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

On May 16 2018, my van died in a busy intersection around 4:45 p.m. I called AAA for a wrecker and was told it would be 2 to 2 1/2 hrs! I called for a police officer to came and direct traffic and he called another wrecker service that arrived in about 10 minutes. They told me to forget about AAA! I misplaced the receipt, so I haven't been reimbursed. I have terminal cancer and it was about 90 degrees that day. It has been over 90 days, so AAA probably won't refund my money. They never did reply to my online complaint. Another time, my Mustang bit the dust and I called AAA. The closest wrecker was 25 to 30 miles away. I told them to bring a flatbed wrecker so my Mustang wouldn't be scraped on the road. They sent out an old wrecker. Don't waste your money on AAA! If I need a wrecker again, I will call my own wrecker service.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

On June 11, 2018 at tree fell on my vehicle. I called out AAA to make a claim. The adjuster David ** came out. The very first thing that I noticed was the tree was no longer on the vehicle. I said to him that tree was just on the vehicle. He stated that he removed it off the vehicle. Then he wanted to do a recorded statement on me. Well they never do recorded statements when filing a claim. Right then and there he was accusing me of a false claim. I wrote to Mr. ** about this situation. Mr. ** Has not yet followed up with my email. I feel very discriminated against that AAA would accuse me of these accusations. They never once went after the owner of the tree. David also told me I file for the same damages twice. It is really terrible situation when you are discriminated because of your **. Those who are looking into AAA. I will think twice about it if I were you.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I usually do not write reviews, and do not like to bad mouth anyone, but I want to warn everyone of this company. First off, AAA acts as a broker to other auto insurance companies, at least that was my case. The AAA agent called me every two days to convince me to go through them. I finally caved in. It was a terrible mistake.

Long story short, unbeknownst to me, my insurance was canceled for over 20 days. As a result I had to pay a hefty state fine for driving my motor vehicle without any insurance. Thank God I didn't get into an accident. When I called AAA as soon as I found out, they said they could not renew my policy because I did not provide a required document for the agency they were going through. I was NOT told of this before. What's worse is that AAA did NOTHING to make this right. The agent that called me to make the sale was never to be heard of, and his secretary who called on his behalf didn't even apologize. Consumers beware, and do not fall victim to these hyenas that only want that sale.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I got AAA insurance the end of May 2018. In less than 2 months, I started having issues: the rep was not responsive, AAA could not get my mailing address correctly inputted (took 4 calls to correct), the rep that signed me up put the wrong VIN down and tried to put the blame on me. I received a letter saying my car was being canceled.

When I called AAA, they said the agent never returned their call about the VIN so they called the mfr! Who does that?! Why not call the customer! Because of my agent's negligence to return AAA's call, my car is being canceled. I then gave AAA the correct VIN. I called my agent to see if he had cleared up his mess and was told I was holding up Underwriting because I hadn't sent the car registration. I was never contacted about this request. My advice - stay away from AAA Auto Insurance. This headache began in June, and it's now August and it is still unresolved! Plus, the agent is not taking responsibility for his mess!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

AAA of Southern California - STAY AWAY from this company for any insurance. You are only welcome as long as you don't have a claim. I have been a member for 25 years and they decided to drop me because I live just off the 15 FWY in Suburban Hills. They claimed that my address is associated with a "dangerous liability" so they cancelled my renewal. WHAT?!?!? Keep in mind that the hill behind my home is watered and maintained by the HOA and there is no brush behind my home. What a pathetic excuse to drop a long time customer.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I've been a member 30 years. Used Med Pay twice before. This time the "medical claims adjuster" has treated me as though I am a scammer trying to dupe her about my injury despite documentation and medical charge codes and canceled checks to my practitioner as proof. She is argumentative and confrontational when speaking to me... rather than treating me like a customer... rather than work out a solution, or explain CSAA's process, she accuses me of refusing to cooperate, and proceeds to lecture me. Really weird and unprofessional. I also agree with the complaints about CSAA's road service. It took them 2 hours, 15 minutes at 10:00 am on a Saturday to come and change a tire. Unreal.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I am extremely dissatisfied with AAA. Only after using their services 3 times in a year they cancel my membership because they felt that the 3 times was too much so they sent me a notification to say they were not going to renew my membership. I have been a member over 15 years and that is the respect that I get from them? They are a total rip off! Would not suggest anyone I know to ever use them.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am a AAA premier member means I’m suppose to get quality service. It’s 10:30 pm. I have been waiting for a tow truck since 8 pm to take me home. I’m

25 miles away and I keep calling the tow place. Lady is rude. If she was in my shoes she be pissed. I got attitude. It has not been a great night.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I had a great experience with AAA until their policy kept rising in price and price. When I canceled they continue to keep charging me even though I was insured with Geico and after I provided them with proper documentation they continue to charge me again.

Original review: July 30, 2018

My car got vandalize on July 1, 2018 and I filed a police report right away. When I called my insurance to report it, they told me that I had to wait for an estimator to inspect my car. It took them 1 week to get an estimator just to check how bad it was and the guy basically told me that I just have wait for their call. So I waited, and on July 11, 2018 I got sick of their alibi transferring me to different people and made me talk to Toyota Financial about my options, which I did and they told me that my insurance should be the one talking to them about it.

Got myself a rental car which I used on July 11, 2018 til July 25, 2018 which I paid out of pocket, and when I called my appraisal about how am I gonna get it reimburse she told me that she’d take care of it, and now July 30, 2018. I just check my bank and I got an overdraft twice. In conclusion, this is the worst auto insurance I’ve got. They make you wait and transfer you to different people. I hate how they are inconsiderate, incompetent and how slow they work.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Have been a AAA member for a while, never needed to call a tow truck. Today, my car broke down and I was on the phone with 5 DIFFERENT people giving me different times they could send a truck... 3 and a half hours later they still were unable to give me any specific time that they were able to come get my car. Disrespectful, I will be canceling my service with them immediately.

Original review: July 13, 2018

We changed from a local agent and a nat'l ins co, because rates skyrocketed. AAA has all our policies and have given us lots of help in types of ins and great rates. They're also easy to talk to and easy to contact.

Original review: July 7, 2018

We got stranded out of town with a truck that had blown a rear seal in the rear differential. AAA said that they wouldn't tow the truck because it had a flat bed. So I called AAA and pretended that I wanted to become a member but that I had a flatbed truck. The AAA lady Teresa said that as long as the vehicle wasn't over 14000 lbs and wasn't a commercial vehicle that it would be covered!!! Then I told her that I was a member and had just been denied a tow. She talked to a supervisor and confirmed that the policy wouldn't cover the truck. I believe that what the new member representative did is fraudulent. This is the second time that AAA has not helped me because of a policy loophole and I will never support their business again!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Twice in the last year, I've had to have a vehicle towed. Both times the driver was sneaky by asking what's up? Turns out he was just looking for any reason to disqualify the tow. Both were not concerned for my welfare, only looking for any reason (in fine print) that disqualifies the tow as free. They HAPPILY said, "Well GOOD news is that this does not qualify for a AAA roadside assistance tow!" (Yes, they actually said Good News.)

Original review: July 1, 2018

No tow truck available. I am here in the middle of nowhere with my car broke. So I called Triple A and am waiting for 4 hours. BoA they called me saying that there is no one available to pick me up. Is this a joke? I pay it.

Original review: June 29, 2018

AAA did a fine job and handled the claim well. It was good, but not the very best in process. It was handled timely, but there was no "over-the-top" interactions or communications.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I've had the worst experience with AAA insurance. I was told AAA insurance was the best insurance. Which is why I switched from Geico. The agent that helped me with the switch failed in every aspect. Nice guy but very incompetent. I received an email from his supervisor to rate his service. I replied explaining how everything went wrong. I never heard back from his supervisor? My insurance was canceled due to him not following thru with the auto pay. I contacted AAA and all they can say is 'I'm sorry'. I had to pay more money out of pocket to reinstate. I can't afford to cancel because I will be billed $600.00 or more. Total nightmare.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Each encounter I have had with a AAA employee has been above par. While driving my car cama windshield flew up and smashed the windshield of my Jaguar. I was going about 35 miles an hour. I called AAA who happened to be my insurance company. The AAA operator open the claim for me. I don't think I would have thought about claiming this in my insurance. The process was smooth. When I had my accident, I did not want my car to be totaled. Looking back on it it was the right thing to do. Not only did they have to figure in the damage of the windshield in the hood, they would have to investigate why the latch did not work. Costly.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My experience with AAA was the worst car service I've ever received. My car originally broke down from overheating on 5/29/18. So, I called AAA to have it towed. When speaking to the receptionist, she explained the tow truck would arrive within 1 hour. After waiting 2 hours, the tow truck finally arrived. The man who finally showed up had track marks covering his arms, some of which were still bleeding, his teeth were black, and he seemed totally out of it. He never said hello, was cursing, yelling, and mumbling to himself throughout the entire encounter, and kept pulling at his own hair. As a nursing student, I was fairly certain he had used drugs recently. Standing there alone with a dead phone battery, you can imagine how apprehensive I was about getting in the tow truck with him. But, it was my only option as I did not have another ride.

He asked me where I wanted to go to have my car serviced. I would have liked to take my car to the Honda Dealer, but his erratic behavior deterred me from going to a garage that was far away. I told him to take me to the closest place possible because I was very concerned that he would wreck the vehicle. My suspicions were later validated when he swerved the truck as we were driving. The closest garage happened to be AAA garage in West Chester, PA which was approximately 0.75 miles away from the location of my vehicle. I agreed to have my car taken there under the circumstances. When we arrived, they told me it couldn't be fixed that day because it was too late and that I would have to wait until tomorrow (Wednesday) to have it fixed.

On Wednesday, they contacted me in the morning stating my car had a leak in the radiator and that I would need a new radiator, thermostat, and 2 hoses to fix it. They told me it would cost $800 to have this done. I agreed to the service. Later that afternoon, after my car was "fixed," I picked it up. They explained it was fixed and running fine. Well, the truth is, it wasn't running fine. After picking it up, my thermostat gauge was all the way up to HOT when driving it. I didn't think anything of it because I had just picked it up from the garage and to be quite frank, I'm not a mechanic.

4 days later, on Sunday 6/3/18, it broke down again. Same thing -- overheated. At this point, I was extremely frustrated. Because I was closer to my hometown this time, I called AAA again and had it towed to a mechanic that my family knows and trusts. He explained to me that after AAA fixed my car, it should have been test driven to see if the temperature gauge was still going up and it clearly wasn't. I feel as though something was missed or my car wasn't properly diagnosed to begin with. After paying $800 just to have your car break down 4 days later is very upsetting, to say the least.

I am so disappointed in AAA all around. My family and I have been members for many years and have paid so much money for our membership. To be treated in this way is an absolute disgrace. I am still attempting to get a refund or some sort of compensation for everything that has happened. My only hope is that this gets resolved in the near future.

Original review: June 2, 2018

AAA Auto Insurance have serviced me in CT, CA & NV for many years and have always treated me well. Agent informed me as to what I needed to do. Forms were submitted in a timely manner and claim was settled. But although service has been great the pricing is too high.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Getting the insurance was fast and the service was very friendly. I really enjoyed their towing roadside service. Seemed you could always count on AAA. Plus even if you were driving someone else's car it was covered. Also back then it was nice taking care of renewing my car's tags right at the same place. Made for a great overall one stop get it done and not have to wait in a line. Service was great as the workers were very friendly and knowledgeable and were able to set me up with what I needed. After having an incident they were quick to help me out and reassure me all would be fine. However, price of policy always seemed a little high. Of course back then I had a full time job and was able to afford having the protection.

Today I am with State Farm and they have a really great package and discounts for multi policies. I don't know if AAA does as the last time I checked with them they wouldn't take me because I had no coverage at the time. So I never went back to them. I didn't see that as a good enough reason to disqualify me. I have tried a few other companies over time. Some were good for awhile and some rates got too much. I have always been an excellent driver, so I feel I shouldn't have to pay high priced policies.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Unethical claim adjusters... caught lying to members about accident investigation. Received a letter as well as a phone conversation from opposing party insurance adjusters stating that AAA member was fully responsible for the accident. When we stated that an investigation had never been done yet so how could we be responsible, the opposing insurance adjuster said that AAA had already made the decision and phoned them. We have emails reflecting their lies to us. Shameful adjusters... definitely don't have their members' best interests in mind.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We switched to AAA after a horrible accident that was not our fault with a person who had no insurance or driver's license. The company we had was not helpful and very difficult to get a hold of and get any action. We walked into the local AAA office and they were smiling and quickly assisted us. We have had them for a year now and am very happy. We rear-ended a car with minimal damage and they handled and settled the claim for an at-fault accident quickly, making me very happy.

Original review: May 24, 2018

AAA Auto Insurance is good. It is incredible and fast of immediate response. It is the best of the best. I recommend AAA Auto Insurance totally.

AAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AAA is officially a federation of motor clubs that offers auto insurance to drivers across America. The company now has more than 54 million members, and it operates out of its corporate headquarters in both Heathrow, FL, and Washington, D.C.

• Specialized insurance: AAA Auto Insurance offers policies to drivers of very specific types of vehicles, like classic cars.

• Educational opportunities: The company offers drivers online courses in defensive driving, which gives customers a 10% discount on their plan.

• Personal injury protection: Insurance plans cover driver and their families even if they are injured while in another person's vehicle.

• Accident Assist: People who cover their vehicles with AAA accident can take advantage of the company's Accident Assist program, which provides roadside assistance, towing services and rental vehicles for drivers in the case of an accident.

• Garage parking discount: AAA offers many unique discounts to members, including ones who choose to park their car in a protected garage rather than outside in the elements.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for reliable insurance, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers with family members.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky