AAA Auto Insurance

AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

About AAA Auto Insurance

AAA provides automobile insurance to its members through 50+ regional branches nationwide. The company offers multiple coverage types, but its auto insurance is available only to paid AAA members. All AAA memberships come with several perks and discount opportunities, but coverage options differ by location.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Well-established company
  • Several discount opportunities
  • Membership comes with other perks
Cons
  • Must have an AAA membership
  • Coverage offerings differ by branch

AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Stars Rating

• 16%
  • 20%
  • 10%
  • 3%
  • 52%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

Reviewed June 4, 2024

I took auto insurance from AAA Carolinas in early 2023 and on 2nd renewal I decided not to continue. Reason; the worst customer service, not responding to inquiries. I will not recommend AAA Carolinas insurance to my friends and family. I am AAA member from last 25 years with no complaints of roadside assistance.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingStaff

Reviewed May 24, 2024

I am thoroughly disappointed with AAA Auto Insurance. I had high expectations given their reputation, but my experience has been nothing short of frustrating. First, their customer service is atrocious. I spent hours on hold just to speak to a representative who was not only rude but also completely unhelpful. When I finally filed a claim, the process was a nightmare. They dragged their feet every step of the way, requiring excessive documentation and multiple follow-ups. It took over a month to get my claim processed, and even then, the payout was significantly lower than what was fair given the extent of the damage. To make matters worse, my premiums inexplicably increased after the claim, despite their promise that filing wouldn’t affect my rates. Overall, AAA auto insurance has been a huge letdown, and I would not recommend their services to anyone. Save your money and time.

Coverage

Reviewed May 20, 2024

If you want to have loads of mail sent to you from life insurance then this is a good deal for you. I repeatedly have requested they stop sending me life insurance adds - I get these 1-2 times per week. Their company is no more than a platform for getting your info and then spamming the heck out of you. I hate this company. I tried using their travel department and it's only good if you book one of their vacations, it's really no help whatsoever. This is a joke.

Reviewed May 19, 2024

I do not recommend anyone to do business with AAA. I was driving on highway and a work truck's tire popped off and debris and lug nuts begin hitting my car causing damage to lights and fender. The driver of the vehicle apologized and was cooperative giving me the insurance information. I called police immediately and filed a police report. I then called AAA and the Adjuster told me that the wir can do nothing to help me with repairs unless the driver calls them and admits it was at fault. The driver will not return the adjuster's call. The driver will not return my call either. I have pictures of the entire scene, the driver and the insurance, and plates and even an officer police report but still cannot get justice or claim to be worked on.

The adjuster seems to have no desire to help an innocent victim. Seems shameful that a company of their stature would be so greedy to duck, run and hide to avoid a small claim as such. What guilty person wants to call and admit their faults so their insurance can be raised. I’m sick and frustrated because I use the vehicle to drive Uber at night and it’s affecting my ability to work because light is malfunctioned. I honestly will never have any dealings with AAA and I advise anyone to run from this cheap, stingy, careless company with mean and careless workers that won’t even immediately escalate the issue to their manager at my request.

I don’t know what to do l! I just wanted my car fixed. It’s not my fault so why do I have to have a nervous breakdown trying to get a simple claim worked on when I have sufficient evidence, pics, police report and even phone number of the guilty party. I don’t like the fact that I’m being put in this situation, as if I broke in the man’s car and stole his insurance papers and took pics of him holding the papers and made up a story. AAA DOES NOT CARE ABOUT VICTIMS OF VEHICLE ACCIDENTS.

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 13, 2024

I submitted all the required documents on time and because they don’t have anyone to review they denied my pip because my DOB was included in the qualifying health document. I was able to get another today and submit it. Now they won’t honor my original quote. I would not recommend this company. They don’t communicate and customer service is horrible.

Claims HandlingCoverageStaff

Reviewed May 10, 2024

I have been a AAA insurance customer for over 16 years. I have 3 vehicles and a home plus another policy with them. I have never had an accident, and have only had one home claim in 16 years. I had to file a claim with them for hail damage recently. It has been the most stressful horrible thing ever to deal with them. I have been going back and forth with them for 7 months now and they will not cover our siding that was damaged by hail.

They did a patch job that looks horrible. I had old siding with color and numbers to match to, there is no match anywhere. All neighbors have new siding because there is no match for 22 year old siding but they refuse to do the correct thing and replace all to match. They tried to replace it with lower quality and not the same color and it is so horrible to look at. We are still fighting them after 7 months on items they just want to piece together like the garage door, they are taking it apart and just replacing pieces which I’m sure will not match the other pieces the graining is different.

This has been a horrible experience. They don’t treat customers they have had over 16 years well, therefore I don’t expect them to go all out for a new customer. Plus they can not keep their agents. We have an office in town in the last year I went in 3 times with questions having a new driver in the household, each time I talked to someone, the previous agent that I had, had left the company. I would definitely not recommend AAA Insurance to anyone. If you actually have to file a claim they are horrible to work with.

CoverageStaff

Reviewed May 7, 2024

The independent agent that represented AAA, screwed me when he didn't remove a vehicle as I requested. AAA would not honor my qualified healthcare letter from my employer. Hence one full coverage vehicle and one plpd coverage was going to be $400 a month! Now I have to take AAA and their independent agent to court. Joe ** is the agent. Stay clear of him. I have never been told by a business so often that the customer is dead wrong and the agent is right.

Coverage

Reviewed May 5, 2024

Misrepresentation and fraudulent. More later but right after they accepted coverage on all of my policies they immediately started canceling them. AAA in Texas - no bueno! The immediate issue is they sent refunds for amounts well below what they should be based on the time they covered.

Reviewed April 30, 2024

20 years with them including 6 members. They just can NOT get a wrecker to a site anymore. When wrecker drivers do show up, they are overworked and also do not like Triple A and considering change. Last time, their major supplier quit. 28 wrecker units gone in this area. I seldom write reviews, but they earned this after 20 years.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed April 26, 2024

I had the worst experience ever on the phone with these people. I tried to do a quote online and it wouldn’t let me. It said I had to speak to someone. He said do you own the vehicle, I told him yes. He said does it have insurance, I said no. He said that’s why. You can’t own a vehicle with no insurance. Since when. I asked how I’m supposed to insure a vehicle I don’t own and he said, "No you have to own it." So I’m confused. I just didn’t like his attitude. Never again will I try to do business with them.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingStaff

Reviewed April 4, 2024

As a single father of three, having reliable transportation is essential for my family's well-being. Unfortunately, my experience with AAA has been nothing short of a nightmare. Almost eight months ago, a AAA driver ran into the back of my car, rendering it undrivable. What followed was a series of frustrations and disappointments.

Despite providing all necessary information and evidence regarding the incident, AAA has continuously delayed the settlement of my claim. Their excuse? An ongoing investigation to determine if the driver had insurance. This excuse wears thin after nearly eight months of waiting. The impact of this delay has been significant. Without a functioning vehicle, I've struggled to fulfill my responsibilities as a parent and provide for my children. Every day without a resolution adds to the financial strain and emotional toll on my family.

I've attempted to communicate with AAA, but their customer service has been abysmal. Instead of offering assistance or updates, I've been met with vague responses and empty promises. It's clear that they prioritize bureaucracy over the well-being of their customers. Considering the prolonged ordeal and lack of empathy from AAA, I have no choice but to give them zero stars. Their incompetence and disregard for their customers' needs are inexcusable. I urge others to reconsider relying on AAA for any insurance or assistance needs, as my experience serves as a cautionary tale of their poor service and negligence.

Reviewed March 19, 2024

I recently applied for auto insurance calling the local branch in the city I live in Lakeland, Fl. Only to be transferred to another county and city Tampa, Fl. I was not informed by the agent of this until after policy was processed. My concern is I would prefer to deal with an agent in the city I live in for the purpose of going into the local office in my city for any concerns and or corrections on my policy. I relayed my preference and was just brushed off. Is this common practice? And can I not have an agent in my local office?? In conclusion, when talking to a AAA agent it would be courteous to inform potential customers.

Reviewed March 10, 2024

My boyfriend and I called AAA at 4:20 in afternoon. They never showed up keep saying can't reach a tech. We called back next morning around 9:am still no reaction. This was painful because our car sat on side of road that long. Won't use their service again.

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2024

I was driving a taxi in Redding, Ca and was rear-ended by a drunk driver who hit my cab and ran from the scene. It took police 6 months to find the guy and it was finally revealed that his insurance was AAA, with me finding out all this information almost a year after the accident which totaled the van and literally picked it up and propelled it forward about 15 feet. I suffered loss of work, neck and back injuries, and was not compensated a dime for it. Instead, the agents harassed me the few times I called them--apparently to get me to go away. It was a man and woman who answered the phone and verbally abused me. It was hard enough to go through that terrible experience, without having to add insult to injury.

Reviewed Feb. 20, 2024

This company is disgusting! Thieves. I have called everyday for my refund. It’s over $1000. They have said they are refunding and everyday it’s something new with them lying to me and still I have received nothing.

Reviewed Feb. 19, 2024

I was canceled from being with AAA member Because I had my car tow that on record So I had to borrow a friend's car to get to Work. I do House construction. I had a lot of problems with my car. 03 Cadillac northstar That's on record with triple A. So the car that I borrowed. Which was my friend's To get to work. Broke down So I called AAA to get it Tow and they Cancel.

Customer ServiceCoverageSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Feb. 15, 2024

Lots of undocumented rules. Canceled my auto without a notice, April 2023, all because son is on membership and has his own insurance. Completed their form and provided documentation March 1 2023. Renewed my AAA homeowners policy though in April 2023. AAA renewed my AAA membership in May with my son on the membership. Now canceling my homeowners for 2024 renewal because I don't have auto. They did not process forms provided. Was told twice I had auto insurance last week when I thought I should go in and print out my insurance card since it was expired with what I had in my vehicle.

Message on Monday stated the policy would have to be re-written for auto, but I had to pay the premium from April 2023 - February 2024, I told them I would not do that. This past Tuesday I received a notice that my homeowner's policy would not be renewed since I did not have auto insurance with them. Not my fault, that is AAA 100% mistake and customer service people that have not been doing their job. Incompetent.

I've provided an ultimatum to them:
    1. Provide auto insurance and renew my homeowner's insurance for 2024.

2. If not I will search out others that have had these experiences and initiate a class action lawsuit for: Bait and switch, lack of full disclosure, insurance fraud.

I will still be reporting to Texas Attorney General, I have already reported to BBB of which they are not a member.

Reviewed Feb. 11, 2024

After being a AAA member and using their Roadside Assistance for 14 years, I recently had the worst experience ever with them. I was taking someone older and disabled to the doctor when my car stalled on a busy 6-lane street. Although my car restarted immediately, it wasn't able to move forward very well. Once I got my car to a safer location in a fast food parking lot, I then called the AAA Emergency Roadside Service phone number. There was a recorded message to select the option for Roadside Assistance. When I did that, it said that the best way to initiate roadside service would be to use the link that they just sent to my phone. I filled out the info via the link but it did not give me the right options for my needs, nor did their GPS find my location. There was a small box in the form in which I was able to write a note regarding details about my car and explain my exact location.

I submitted that and then I received an automated call from AAA stating that if I would like to have periodic phone call updates, they would do that. Then the automated call asked to confirm that I could hear their message. When I confirmed, the call ended after saying they would keep doing update calls. They called back later to say it would be 20 minutes before the driver arrived, then another call came in later that said the driver would be there in an hour, and then the calls stopped. Once the update calls stopped, I called AAA Membership Services to try to talk with a human and find out if a tow truck was still coming. The woman tried to tell me that she couldn't help me because I had called the Membership area, I told her that I am a member and I needed help. So she finally assisted me in getting the information that I needed so I wouldn't have to start a new AAA Roadside Assistance request.

In the past, AAA has always had a friendly, live person who would explain the wait and details about the towing company would keep people updated on the tow truck's arrival and would even ask us to call back if the tow truck driver never called us. Sorry to say, that did not happen this time. Since I have a recent model car I haven't needed towing service in a while, but I have used AAA for a battery replacement and a flat tire. Both times I was able to use the AAA app just fine and the communication was great between AAA, me, and the tow truck drivers. However, this time, the AAA app wouldn't let me log in. It kept telling me that it didn't recognize me despite my entering the correct login info.

I waited 4.5 hours for a tow truck driver to arrive. He was very kind, helpful, and apologetic that I had to wait so long. He said that he called me as soon as he received a call from AAA. However, he received the call from them well over an hour after I contacted AAA. He lived 2 hrs away from the metro Atlanta area where I was waiting and traffic was heavy but he assured me that he was on his way. Living in a metropolitan area and needing a tow truck, I expected maybe an hour to an hour and a half wait because there are tow trucks all over the city. That's been my previous experience with AAA. Never a 4.5-hour wait!

Some auto repair people I know have suggested that AAA may not be paying tow truck drivers appropriate rates so it may be difficult for AAA to get a driver to a stranded motorist now. A tow truck driver said that someone needing a tow truck would have quicker service if they called their auto insurance provider's Roadside Assistance Service because AAA staff work remotely and don't handle things as efficiently and customer-friendly as they used to. Time to look for another option to AAA unless they make some major, customer-friendly changes. Who wants to deal with a text link or an automated call when needing help as a stranded motorist, right?

Verified purchase
    Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Jan. 31, 2024

I have been with AAA for 11 years and I have Auto, Roadside and Renters. I like it so much and I even referred most of my friends and family. So we left Farmers and became AAA’s customer. Things started changing starting last November, my Auto Insurance goes from $196 then $225 then 308 and I called and emailed in December after they charged me 308 and their reason was every insurance is going up. I asked if they charged everyone $112 now and customer service said I drive more than the average. I actually did not. I said I want to get my money back and disconnect my Auto service and just keep my Other. They charged me again after I said I don’t want the service and I want my money back. They told me it takes 10 business days to get my $308 back but it’s been a month. What do I do?

Verified purchase

Reviewed Jan. 30, 2024

Today was my first time going to AAA for an inspection. I dropped it off at 7:45a and they called at 10:30a to give me the results. I go back at 1pm to find my vehicle still in the air?? The lady says the mechanic is out to lunch, mind you I’m on my lunch. I asked, "Is this your procedure to leave cars in the air while you’re out to lunch??" At this point I’m just mad! Then they bring me my car and I see all my face masks are laying on my passenger floor…WHY? Why were y'all even in my glove compartment in the first place and why didn’t you PUT THEM BACK IN THERE because they were not on my floor. Terrible..terrible place to take your car. I will NEVER go back and I will let others know about my FIRST experience!!

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingPrice

Reviewed Jan. 24, 2024

This company is the worst. I have had to call in the Dept. of Insurance every time I have a claim to monitor their behavior. They are rude and give false information when you call. I have had to call back numerous times to get the correct information. They find anything in what you say to use against you to increase your policy cost so watch what you say carefully!! I cannot get in contact with my adjuster, they leave you hanging and it is the worst feeling when you are going through a claim to resolve. Find any other company besides AAA, as soon as I am out of my policy I am moving on!

Reviewed Jan. 19, 2024

Called AAA roadside assistance for flat tire to have spare changed. The driver took 48 minutes to get there, when he arrived he said he couldn't jack up the car because the grass was too wet and the jack would sink. Then looked at my spare tire and said it needed Air but he had a loaner truck that didn't have a hose so he was unable change my tire and asked me to request a tow instead.

It is all automated so I could talk to anyone or cancel the request so he told me to request a tow. I did and now I have been charged for 2 service calls. I called AAA to fix the issue so I would get credited since it was only 1 call/incident and it is not my fault the tow truck driver was unable to change my tire and he asked me to request a tow. AAA will "look into the issue" and if they feel it is correct they will credit, but the way it looks to them is they completed both service calls which is garbage! The call was an hour apart because it took the driver that long to get there and tell me to request a tow instead. I feel cheated with my AAA service I pay too much money for them to be playing games instead of fixing the issue in a timely manor since none of this was my fault and their customer service is unacceptable!

Reviewed Jan. 19, 2024

I Waiting more than two hours for service, I don't recommend for nobody. When you calling everything is fine but when they need resolve the problem nothing, don't use the service. Never is a service. Unfunctional.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverage

Reviewed Jan. 4, 2024

This company is the worst of them all. I have been with them over 15 years and never filed a claim for anything, but my premium keeps going up and up. I still paid for it though. I had a claim because another car ran into me. I called AAA and they said to go after the other car as they won’t handle this. The next day they called me to say “we are closing this claim since you should go after the other company” ….What if the other person doesn’t have insurance? AAA left me hanging because they are good at giving excuses to run away from payments. AAA is garbage and I wouldn’t recommend them to my worst enemy.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Jan. 4, 2024

We had AAA Full coverage insurance for 3 years but when we got in an accident it took over 5 weeks to receive our money. Also when we called no one answered, and no one returned our calls text messages or emails. I do not recommend AAA to anyone.

Reviewed Dec. 1, 2023

I have an alternator problem in my ‘10 Nissan Altima, it’s the year of the make with these electrical issues. I work like 8 miles at most from my home, and my car started dying out on the highway, so I pulled over to the shoulder at 8:50 pm at the latest. The lady clearly didn’t input my request cause I had no driver. The driver who’s currently attaching my car now at 10:23 says he was chilling at the gas station doing nothing and that I’m lucky, most people wait 3 hours, and that they have nepotism where they give to their favorite drivers, and he’s new.

CoverageStaff

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2023

I have had AAA insurance for a few years now. I switched to them from another provider because they offered better rates. I am regretting the switch. Their customer service/claims representatives are horrible. They do not communicate with you, or to service providers or know how to read a map. Or look at a calendar. My rep just told me my rental was over 30 days, but the date I rented it and the date I returned it only counted to 27. Also, they did not confirm the coverage/waiving of my deductible for my incident since the other driver was at fault. The other driver's own insurance admitted fault. yet somehow, I am being charged for things when I should not be, and my premiums just went up. This company will not have your back, will not support you, or even do the bare minimum of their job to make sure you are covered.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed Nov. 3, 2023

I have been using AAA Auto Insurance for the last 6 years. I have always paid online, and I have had issues with their website probably 80% of the time. It seems to be "under maintenance" every time I log on. The irony is that for something that undergoes as much maintenance as this website does, it is remarkably outdated! There is no point in trying to make any changes to your policies via their website, because you will never be allowed to complete the changes without having to call an office. They don't tell you that when you start the changes though, they make you do all of the work first. It is just a poorly designed website and I'm over it. I have switched to USAA, which is much more user friendly and you don't have to actually call them to complete a transaction.

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2023

I broke down 1000 miles from home traveling and literally from 4pm - 11pm tried to get a tow. Truck to haul my truck and multiple phone calls with tow companies and AAA I finally got mad and callled my own. He showed up in 15 minutes. Do Not Waste your money with AAA!

Reviewed Oct. 13, 2023

I had a bad battery and asked AAA for assistance. They mentioned that they did not have my battery in stock so they couldn’t replace my battery, but could jump my car… Okay. I understood that. So I went and got a battery and called again and asked- since they did not have a battery for me, I went ahead and bought one. I asked them then if they could help me. I figured this was OK since they couldn’t help me in the first place because they did not have my battery in stock. They refused. They said they do not install third party batteries… Well YOU DIDN’T HAVE MY BATTERY? And now that I have one you won’t even install it? I’m honestly not sure why I pay for a membership with AAA when they can’t even do something as simple as this for me. I’m disappointed and not happy with them leaving me hanging like that… like WHAT’S THE POINT?

AAA Auto Insurance Company Information