3.9/5 (663 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About AAA Auto Insurance

AAA provides automobile insurance to its members through 50+ regional branches nationwide. The company offers multiple coverage types, but its auto insurance is available only to paid AAA members. All AAA memberships come with several perks and discount opportunities, but coverage options differ by location.

Pros

• Well-established company
  • Several discount opportunities
  • Membership comes with other perks

Cons

• Must have an AAA membership
  • Coverage offerings differ by branch

Bottom Line

AAA has provided Americans with auto insurance for over a century and has more than 50 branches countrywide. Its auto coverage requires a paid AAA membership, which includes access to various perks and discounts.

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

AAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Auto Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Been with them over 50 years, 3 great agents. Available, take quick care of problems and needs. Stand behind their work. Use for both of our houses, in two different states, 2 cars and one truck. Not the cheapest, but definitely top notch service. Have recommended to many that had the cheap experience.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

My advice is to buy insurance from anywhere but here. I paid my bill on time for 2 years without any issues. My address has always been the same. I never made a claim until now and all of a sudden my account was cancelled. They couldn’t explain how all of a sudden they couldn’t collect payment from my bank that has maintained a balance of $$20k since mid 2000s. They couldn’t explain how all of a sudden my address was changed and they couldn’t inform of the cancellation or missed pay, late payment or anything, nor could they explain why I never received an email or phone when all my info has been the same. They also couldn’t explain how last week I received mail from trying to sell me more insurance but all of a sudden my account was cancelled. Don’t buy into this insurance skeet. You will payout a lot of money just to be Left with no coverage.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I contacted AAA Meemic Insurance (**) to report one of my drivers on the policy have been incarcerated and will be for a very long time. Therefore, I need the driver removed from the policy. My insurance premiums increased by $515 with the vehicle and driver making my policy over 1,100 a month. I can not afford this policy. AAA Meemic knows this is a bit to much for a policy holder to pay. They also have an issue with prompt responses. I have been contacting them since July 5th, 2021 to have this driver removed. I am comfortable with keeping this policy. I do not have time to search for other policies and worry about insurance agencies checking my credit; thus, lowering my credit score.

Original review: July 11, 2021

Voha M did a great job loading up and unloading my car. He was very polite! He took my car down the street not even 2 miles from my house where I was able to have my tire put on. He offered to change it for me and ask if there was anything else he could help me with! 10/10 recommended!

Original review: July 6, 2021

AAA canceled my auto insurance for no given reason and never notified me (after I submitted my payment through their online portal on time and received a confirmation receipt of my payment). They were quick to blame USPS for me not receiving notice rather than taking responsibility on their end. I was told that during the pandemic this has been a common complaint from their customers - that often people were not receiving their notices until 6 months after they were mailed.

While AAA seemed to be aware that there is a problem with this, they have been unwilling to find other means of communicating with their customers. I was told that I was responsible for my lack of awareness that I was driving uninsured (even though I submitted all my payments on time) and that my insurance rate would double as a result because I was unknowingly driving uninsured. No apologies and no willingness to take any sort of responsibility. I have switched to State Farm as a result and will not return to AAA for any sort of insurance policy in the future. Please spare yourself your time, money, and liability issues and avoid AAA at all costs.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Switched over to AAA after hearing some good things about them from a friend. When switching over I told the sales rep to mimic my old policy as I wanted the same coverage. He had access to my old policy and assured me I would be getting just that. We agreed to only switch the deductible for full coverage. Later that year I was unfortunately involved in an accident and was seeking their assistance when I find out that the agent sold me whatever he wanted and not what was promised to me. Now they are refusing to cover me per the coverage I was told I would get when I switched over. In other words do not trust this company as they are deceptive and deceiving and lie.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I have always been on a 10 month plan until recently. It went to a monthly plan. When I switched it giving the customer service my story, he told me they can switched but I must make my June 14TH payment. I paid my June payment so switching the payment plan. Now I have to pay my car insurance again on the 24TH of June, which I explain to the female customer service that I am a disabled veteran and get paid once a month. For one month, I have paid over $400. I barely have enough to buy food for my fur babies and myself. Seriously, I never had this difficulty with you all. I have been a loyal member and customer 16 years. This is how you treat your members. I paid $300 on 29TH of May for May and June. I am very disappointed how I am being treated.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I have purchased auto and homeowners insurance from AAA Alabama for 5 years. Both insurance policies continued to rise even though no claims had been filed. Upon asking my agent in particular about my homeowner's rates rising drastically, I was told my rating was the issue. In 2020, I let this slide since I had little time to research other companies. Forward to 2021, yet another over $300 increase with zero claims. My response again was my rating. Upon inquiring about this “rating” it was stated that it was from Lexus/Nexus so I asked for info and was provided nothing. I reached out to another company for quotes and asked they pay close attention to this rating info. My rating was excellent and I accepted those quotes to replace my AAA coverage with better coverage at a lesser price.

I notified my AAA agent and the regional manager to cancel my renewals at the end of my cycle and requested a received email back for them noting my request. The regional manager responded that it would be taken care of. Today, I noticed a withdrawal from my account for AAA insurance… Luckily I pulled up my email received from the regional manager and replied to all (including her manager) asking why were they deducting $ for policies no longer applicable with AAA. Responder: the rep did not close the accounts. Seriously??? Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Even though good insurance, it appears it’s all about the $ and not the quality of service OR communication.

Original review: May 20, 2021

My daughter was involved in an accident which was the other party's fault. The other party had AAA insurance and it took a very long over a week to get in touch with them. Once I did, the process was extremely slow to get answers, other than they were quick to provide a rental. The rental was a POS, and had so many restrictions due to my daughter not being 21. They said they would have an adjuster go look at the vehicle and asked where it was so they could look at it. I waited for almost a week and did not hear from the contact. I called back and he asked a couple questions and declared the vehicle a total loss and would get with the adjuster to give us a valuation. Again, almost a week went by and the guy I have been speaking with says he is the adjuster!

Next day he contacts me with a valuation and it is so low. In the current car market, the valuation is over $2000 below what I could replace the car with, finding a car with 15,000 more miles and less upgrades! He said to send the receipts for the upgrades that were done on the vehicle. I had almost $2000 in upgrades done within the last 2 years and they only upped the value $316, and it took him a week to get back with me on that.

I spoke with my attorney who deals in these cases and his first question is "who is your insurance?" And then he asked who is their insurance? I told him AAA. His advice was to use my insurance as I was with what he called "Tier 1, major carrier" and AAA was in what he called "The others". This attorney who deals with this sort of stuff all the time, said this was normal for sub tier 1 providers to provide bad service and low valuations. Said my insurance would be better and they would go to arbitration with AAA over the claims. Unfortunately, this is the 5th accident involving a member of my family, where the other party's insurance was in this sub tier 1 and every time, I have had to use my insurance for resolution. I hoped this time it would be different....guess not.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I was rear-ended at a stoplight on April 23, 2021. The person that hit me had AAA auto insurance. The evening of the accident AAA contacted me with the name and phone number of an adjuster that would reach out to me within the next 48 hours. As of today May 11, 2021 I have never heard from or seen that adjuster. I have called and left multiple messages with no response. After multiple attempts to reach someone within AAA I received a call from a supervisor. This supervisor was rude, condescending and unprofessional. I was told directly that I could not take my new car back to the dealership for repairs and if I did AAA would not pay for the repairs. I was told that my car would not be fixed with original parts and I had to take my car to a specific body shop of their choice.

I continued to have questions and concerns that were unanswered due to no specific callback phone number. Every AAA phone number that I googled or called routed me to roadside service or the purchase of insurance. When I finally reached a live person they would tell me I had the wrong department, extension or the wrong state for AAA auto insurance. It was impossible to get in contact with the actual department I needed to speak with all my questions and concerns. I even tried to contact the AAA corporate office to file a formal complaint, but only got an automated system asking if I needed roadside service. This entire process was horrendous. No one should have to go through this type of process just to get their car repaired by AAA auto insurance.

Original review: April 20, 2021

My husband passed away in December 2020. I have an existing plan paid in full until 6.24.21. Our daughter is on the plan also. I called to put myself on the plan since my husband passed away and I have paid up plan. I was informed that they can make my daughter the main person on the plan and add myself for $9.25. They said the charge was due to a call on the plan last summer when my daughters car battery died at work at 2am. So the deal is if you use AAA services and need to change an existing account due to a death of primary client you will be charged to do this. I think this is shameful and should not be allowed.

My husband died but his account was paid in full until 6.24.21 but even if I cancelled I wouldn't get money back because we used the plan and they made a call last summer! Isn't this what we pay for when we join? I will be cancelling this horrible plan as of 6.24.21 and just wanted to make sure people know what this AAA company is all about! Making money and not helping people. Shame on you AAA.

Original review: March 26, 2021

I established an auto insurance policy with AAA but found a much cheaper insurance from another well known company. I called to cancelled the very next day. The agent I dealt with from the start was useless and uncaring. I was able to find out I was charged a short term cancellation fee of $120 from the local branch, which is outright stealing. I shouldn't have been charge anything since the policy wasn't effective when I canceled the policy. Don't buy from AAA. My son have other policy with them and he won't be renewing with them.

Original review: March 26, 2021

I've had experience with multiple aspects of AAA. I had their towing service when my car was aging and last year, I had both their auto and condo insurance. They did offer decent rates for coverage but at the same time, I was an ideal person to insure because I never had to file a claim. This year, I bought a brand new car after driving the same car for 16 years. I left their insurance company simply because it made sense to try Tesla insurance with the rates they were offering. With less than 1,500 miles on my car, I was rear ended by someone in their 20s at a stop light when it was red because he was "drinking water". He was under his parents' AAA car insurance policy. It was a very clear case of who was at fault.

I only called my insurance company at first because other than the one car accident in my early twenties, I've never had to interact with car insurance. Well I was rather disappointed in my Tesla insurance because they essentially were not going to go to bat for me if I was unwilling to pay the deductible to start. That's a whole other issue. I contacted AAA and was assigned to the associate AG. Just following a few interactions with her, it was very apparent they handle things by dragging their feet. She made claims that the Tesla shop person would not work with her, that I couldn't get a assessment quote from AAA until the day of my appointment at the shop insinuating that I should pay out of pocket first for the fix, never replied to my email during a work day even though I generally messaged her very early in the morning, and just blatantly made up false excuses about why things couldn't take place early (I have email proof).

My appointment with Tesla is on the 29th and AAA will not reach out to them again until tomorrow on the 26th, even though I made it very clear that they had to order my rear bumper and paint them. The accident happened on the 5th. I think the only reason it has even moved as fast as it has is because I have an upcoming appointment that I scheduled on my own. Overall, it leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. I even shared with the representative that I suffer from anxiety and this situation was bringing on terrible stress for me.

Is AAA truly an "American" insurance company? The United States is an adopted country for me, one where I've spent almost 3/4th of my entire life. I love supporting American companies. What they are doing seems very un-American. AAA is going to raise the rates of the person that hit my car. It was a very clear case and I wasn't making any ridiculous, false demands. All I wanted was my brand new car to be restored, which is when insurance company should step in to save the day. "Don't worry. Both you and the other driver were responsible people. We will cover this for you." Instead, they implied I should pay out of pocket for the fix and that their quote may come back differently from Tesla's.

Their business approach, implying that I could be treated poorly because I wasn't the paying customer, is sooo wrong. Every client that they interact with could potentially become a paying customer. Instead, I will NEVER EVER use their insurance coverage again and I will advise as many people against it as possible. The simple reason is that the US is a very sue-happy country. It would be terrible for someone to come after you simply because your insurance company is dragging their feet! On top of that, they send out sooo many mailers that look like junk mail. Who are you targeting with those mailers AAA? The only thing that is of value is their tow service, which I do recommend if you have an old car and are a commuter. It will pay for itself.

Original review: March 16, 2021

Giving AAA a one score on this review is being too nice after how badly I was screwed. So on Jan 6, 2021 I started a new policy and went to a new agent over the phone. I had full coverage on 2 cars with my husband and myself. That day he passed away so I tell her to remove my husband and one car. I gave her the wrong car by mistake but she took advantage of my situation. Several weeks later when I am ready to drive for the first time in 3 weeks, I call and leave several messages to make sure she insured the correct car. I even emailed her. I never hear back.

On feb 5 I was T-boned by an Escalade. I was injured bad as was my SUV. The other person's insurance pays for everything and at first I wasn’t going to Sue but I was in so much pain and suffering from the worst headaches and got X-rays as well as a CT scan that shows I have whiplash and had a concussion etc. so I hire an attorney. On March 15, I get a call from my attorney saying I was driving with no insurance so I was really angry. I called my agent who lied thru her teeth. Her boss believed her over me. What happened to believing the customer no matter what. So now I m waiting to speak to someone higher up.

I m in PT 3x per week and have bones overlapping and a curved spine due to the accident and now I am being told I can’t get pain and suffering if I wasn’t insured. I would never drive a car that didn’t have insurance and I m at a loss. Not only did I lose the love of my life but now I m being screwed by an insurance co that was supposed to cover me. They are the worst and are thieves in the worst way. As soon as I can I am switching to another carrier but not before I go all the way to the top on this matter. I don’t care if the agent gets fired. She screwed up and I have the proof. This is wrong.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

We had AAA Auto Insurance on two cars. We were set up on auto renew. We had changed credit cards and the renew payment did not go through. Rather than AAA contacting us by phone or mail to let us know there was problem, a week later they cancelled our insurance. We drove for two months without knowing that we did not have any insurance until the State of Florida contacted us to ask why we were uncovered!! Unbelievable that a company would cancel you without any attempt to rectify or resolve the issue. Thank God we had no accidents during that period of time. Will never use AAA again.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Very archaic organization. Everything is done by mail and technology seems to be their enemy. Along with being outdated they are far from the cheapest. The one benefit is actually belonging to the automobile club for road assistance. But seems like that is an offering most others have available these days. Not sure how they will fare as their customer base fades with age.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

It's that time of the year when I had to renew my auto policy with AAA. It switched to a new company and while the new rates are good, ways of paying them are not. This year I am unable to pay my premium online as I used to. The only option was to do this by snail mail. I sent my payment by USPS Priority Mail, and a week later, it's still in transit and no telling when it arrives. My renewal date is just 3 days away and I don't want risking losing coverage because USPS lost my mail.

Emailed the agent inquiring why can't I pay online and the answer was basically take it or leave it. After notifying the agent about a possibility of lost mail, was advised to pay by a phone call or else drive to the local AAA club. Ah great. Driving to the club while we're still under stay at home order, and I am at a higher risk for the virus being over 60 years old.

The agent provided an option of actually doing this by phone, which way my neighbors will be able to hear my credit card info. This is totally unacceptable. Most likely I am going to switch to another company where I will be able to pay premiums online, plus the premiums will include roadside assistance for which I'm paying through the roof with AAA. I think I've been with them way too long and the time has come for a change. I don't recommend AAA insurance to anyone. Shop around, there are better choices.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

AAA is an interactive company that has various insurance products. I have been with them since 2009. The rates were vey good until I had my first "chargeable" accident earlier this year. My limits were decreased and my premium doubled at the last renewal date in May. It was a financial struggle on my fixed income but I paid it. I just received my November renewal and my premium went up another $150, I can't afford to renew with them after being a customer for 11 years. It seems they are affordable until you have to file a claim with them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Was constantly contacted by AAA after I requested a quote. I original rejected since the premium was more than what my current rate was with 21st. After a few back and forth, he adjusted the premium is be lowered by about $40. But that was nullified when you add the AAA membership fee. Was told after 3 months, my premium would be adjusted. 3 months has gone by and now he isn't replying to my email. Will file a complaint with the BBB. Agent's name is Colin.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I hit a deer and took my truck to the shop AAA recommended. After waiting 29 days for my truck to be done I got a call the day before Thanksgiving telling me that AAA would no longer pay for my rental and I would have to pay for it until my truck was complete. I called AAA and spoke with 2 different managers. Both told me that this happens all the time and if I wanted to keep my rental car until my truck was done I would have to pay for it. I am sure they recommended that shop for a reason but it is to benefit their company and not their customer. The one manager had the nerve to tell me that I have another car on my policy so I can return the rental and I wouldn't have to pay for it for another week or until my truck was done. The managers were smug and didn't care that the place told me to go to took over a month to complete the work. I will be switching insurance companies for sure.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Recently switched to AAA so I do not have much to say about their services at this time. I did like the representative that signed me up for both home and car insurance and for the higher limits on the cars their prices were more reasonable by approximately $400 a year over the company I had for 2 prior years. To this date at age 77 I have ever had a chargeable accident or violation ticket. I do believe all these years of driving with a clean record should be considered by any insurance company. I like also that AAA has local agents and service centers.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Have been with AAA for more than 18 years. They service kept degrading over the years. Specially when it comes to file for a claim where other party is not involved, they will never come to your rescue. They will abandon the customer no matter how loyal you have been. They will do anything to decline a claim no matter how small it is. Had terrible few experiences with them. They purposely will delay the claim and then deny it after a long wait. Finally I decided to go with a other insurance company that are not only less expensive than AAA but also more willing to work with me. I would recommend not to use AAA insurance at all. Horrible experience! Stay away from AAA.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

Like many, I went online to search for different auto insurance rates. After getting a quote from AAA, I received SPAM emails from Discover, Lending Tree, Mutual of Omaha. As well as, phone calls (from Maryland & Indiana) from salesmen wanting to 'discuss my application'. Wait a minute, when I went to the AAA website, I thought I was getting a simple, anonymous, online quote. I am very disappointed in that AAA shared my number and email to the marketing loops. Be prepared for SPAM if you go online to AAA.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I am constantly receiving emails to request a quote for auto insurance and they will send you a $10 gift card.... Dunkin Donuts, Hannaford.... So I finally did it, figuring, which I found out, no one can beat my insurance rate.... So I have been waiting for this, after their 4-6 weeks, which turned out to be around Sept. 10---- I started contacting people, I will not name names----yet... And am continually get the runaround.... Contact my supervisor, sure when her email bounces back that there is no such person! This AAA is Northern New England....

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Terrible company. Absolutely no respect for loyalty. This company has thrown its ethics far, far out of the window. I've been with AAA for 18 years; my car is getting older every year, I've had no speeding tickets or accidents in 5 years, my credit score is over 800 and my car is not parked out on a road. Yet in saying all of this they decide to raise my simple liability policy by $101 a year.

I called up State farm insurance once I got the news of this raise and not only were their rates much, much cheaper they even included roadside assistance in with their 6-month policy as well. All in all, State Farm Insurance (not that I am trying to promote State Farm here) as a new driver had the SAME policy for $84 less per 6 months, compared to AAA's outrageous quote. Disgusting, I have nothing else to say!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I contacted AAA because of how they treated an accident I was previously involved and it was very happy about that treatment. However, after going through the process and they had increased my insurance costs because they have me down as a different model than I actually have. After providing proof that they were incorrect about classifying my car, they basically told me I could have the insurance but I have to pay for insurance on a vehicle I do not own. They told me they classify my vehicle based on the Vin number, but when I pointed out that my current insurance company has a different model than them they still didn't care. The model of car they are telling me I have versus a model car I actually have is about $7000 difference.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

We have been with them for 19 years and they are not helping us with this pandemic or with how good of a driver we are or senior discounts. They don’t offer nothing so they are not trying to keep their customers happy. They act like they just don’t care. They charge people for having to pay your monthly bill. Wow so sad!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I have been a member of AAA since 2002 and have never been treated so bad as I have in the last couple of days. In October of 2019 I had a bad battery and purchased one from AAA. Again I have had battery problems again and was told my battery was under warranty. The first time a truck came out they did not have the right battery on the truck. We were told to call the next day and a truck would have my battery. When we called the next day the AAA rep told us to call the original company to see if they had the right battery and then call AAA back to set up service. We insisted AAA do the followup and then set up service. The second time the truck came, again no battery. We are told we have to call again the next day for service. I do not think I will renew my membership based on treatment received. Please note there is no place in AAA to file a complaint when a customer is treated the way we were!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I got car insurance through AAA rep Michelle P. on 7/28/20. She insisted I provide my checking account info, which I did. Later called the 800 number and canceled the direct debit and opted to receive a paper bill. Received a paper bill for $63.91 due 8/29/20. Do to non-responsiveness from Michelle regarding also getting homeowner's insurance, I canceled the car insurance on 8/23. On 8/26/20, AAA stole $177.65 from my checking account.

I emailed Michelle, and also her boss Mgr. Richard V. Both claim that they could not see this debit. I provided proof from my bank. Richard stated, "Accounting has confirmed nothing has been withdrawn from your now canceled auto policy". WTH does that mean?? He obviously does not understand. I again told Richard that AAA took money from my checking account and probably applied it to a different customer's AAA account. I pleaded with him to look into this. So far, I have not received a response. I am irate that AAA can get away with stealing.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

Myself and many family members were proud AAA members in the early 2000’s... Since, most everyone has either left or Switched to a different insurance provider. Various reasons but one common issue that we all discuss occasionally: they have a super aggressive “pay now or we cancel” policy - but are extremely lousy when having to step up and be proactive in fulfilling the promised “we are here to help when you have an accident”... I understand, it’s a business and the people working at my neighborhood office are nice: explaining “it’s a computer...” - but AAA has many online flaws that over the years never been corrected.

AAA has every bit of my information (and that of all my other family members) and yet they can’t communicate in a timely manner via phone, email, mailbox, text message or any of the other communications platforms available - all I get I’ll once a while is a “your policy is canceled due to non-payment” (usually two days before that deadline is there) - and then a whole list of terrible consequences that will follow. I’ve been with AAA 27 years!!

There are only two family members left with them! I had one accident in 27 years and did not even receive any financial help... I have homeowners insurance. AAA aggressively sends me twice a year invitations for Life Insurance but publicly claims that my HIV positive sisters and brothers cannot get it - we know for 25 years that people with HIV have a completely “normal” life expectancy - yet AAA fiddles an archaic notion that it is too risky to cover anyone with HIV (it’s okay if you have diabetes or are a chain smoker)!! I’m done with AAA!

AAA Auto Insurance Company Information