Find a Dishwashers partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About KitchenAid Dishwashers

For decades, the KitchenAid brand has been synonymous with kitchen appliances. The dishwashers are known for several important features: high load capacity, robust wash systems and quiet cleaning. These convenient features and a reliable brand name often translate into high costs. While KitchenAid has dishwasher models in the top-of-the-line price range, several models are on the high end of average.

Pros

• Third-level rack
  • Sound level as low as 39 dB
  • Triple filter helps prolong life

Cons

• Premium price tag
  • Slightly longer than standard cabinet

Bottom Line

KitchenAid dishwashers are an investment, but they are a reliable choice. While it’s a high-end brand, there are affordable models. Features like a third rack, triple filter and quiet operation make these dishwashers a great choice.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

KitchenAid Dishwashers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid Dishwashers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid Dishwashers?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Operationally this is a nice-looking, relatively quiet, efficient machine with multiple modes of operation. Where it falls from grace is the isolation of the top/hidden electronics from the moisture of a functioning dishwasher. The replacement by the owner is not out of the question, but most users won't do this. The main control board can be replaced by unplugging a socket after the front of the machine is removed. One other drawback is the spring and cord mechanism that balances the weight of the door, it can break more than once in a 20-year operating lifetime. On the good side this unit is still working after 20 years whereas many others are broken and replaced. The motor, pump and dish/silver racks are all working and in good condition. The inside and outside stainless is fully functional and easily cleaned.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Our KitchenAid dishwasher was in our house when we moved in 10 years ago. It wasn’t new then and has no signs dying. It is sort of loud, but does a good job. If we ever have to replace it I will buy another KitchenAid.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

At 1 year, the rivets that hold the sliding rails for the top rack rusted out and the rails fell off. I believe the new rails were almost $40 each and I had to pull the dishwasher out to replace them. Then about 6 months later, the wheels for the bottom rack started falling off one by one until over the course of about 3 months the bottom rack is wheeless. I've just order 4 packs of wheels for another $30. The dishes no longer get very clean.... I'll never buy any Kitchen Aid product again.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Like the features of the KitchenAid especially the soap dispensing and adjustable top rack. The construction quality and company reputation narrowed my choices down to either the Bosch of KitchenAid and the KitchenAid seems to be better value for the money.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I told the supervisor Todd the main wash motor in my dishwasher is broken and is also not under warranty. I bought a kitchen full of KitchenAid appliances I paid thousands for and in less than 5 years everything is breaking and nothing is covered by warranty. What an absolute scam.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Purchased Stainless Steel Kitchenaid (Whirlpool Corp) dishwasher 2015-07-29 at the "Brick". Total cost including extended 5 yr Trans Global Warranty, delivery and taxes $1350.34. Starting in early 2020 the Dishwasher intermittently stopped dissolving soap which would fall to the bottom of the tub undissolved and stopped drying the dishes which we ignored until May 2020. Called Trans Global many times to solve this problem. They made 3 repairs that included 6 visits from their repair man because he comes with no repair parts and orders them after each visit. He made adjustments and even said he changed the control circuit board. Which did not solve the problem.

I finally took a whole Saturday in Jan 2021 and figured out how to read the cryptic service sheet provided with the machine and got the control board to give me the error code readout (with help from Google). Error code 8-2 (8 LED flashes followed by 2 LED flashes) ....check wash pump! Sure enough the bushings that hold the water pump shaft are worn down causing the wash pump to draw high current and stall periodically. Simply put, bad material choice for the bushings by the designers! (Also the rubber tubing & seals and plastic parts of the dish racks are breaking down - also bad material choices). Or was this stainless steel dishwasher designed to fail at 5 years? So the cost in Canadian dollars from Whirlpool Corp. for the repair parts (as the unit is now out of extended warranty) is:

1. W10529163 Wash Pump - Motor $291.77
2. W10445975 Rubber Elbow and 2 Clamps 92.65

3. W10538166 Rubber Sealing Grommet 33.73

Total cost (shipping not included) $418.15 You would think that if the designers made errors they would supply these parts at cost... maybe $75.00??? Basically the cost of repairing this machine is not a good investment as a new one can be purchased for $600. Right now we call this unit our $1350 towel rack! I recommend that people do not support Whirlpool Corp or any other brands associated with them with repeat purchases, I will not.

I also wonder if Trans Global Warranty Corp. is complicit in not replacing the pump under warranty because they are well aware of the exorbitant cost of these parts. The sad thing is that this stainless dishwasher that should have lasted at least another 7 or 8 years will end up in the dump. Also I will need several trips to an appliance store to buy a new unit shipped all the way from Korea or Germany.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

KDTE104EWH3 Is the model KitchenAid dishwasher I have and for the first couple of years it worked great. Then it stopped washing. Husband took it apart and looks like the small washer inside the motor wears out. I’m on my third motor currently and have only owned it for 4 years. For the price of this machine I would’ve expected it to run longer than that.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

I purchased a KitchenAid dishwasher, model #KDPE234GPS0, in March of 2020. In November right before Thanksgiving, the pump and motor died. The service tech told me that this normally happens in about a year and a half. He was surprised it happened so soon. He told me to get an extended warranty because it will happen again. It's now January of 2021, still no dishwasher and KitchenAid said they don't know when parts will be available! I should have spent the extra money and bought the Miele like I had previously. DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE!!! STAY AWAY!! Oh yeah and 1 more thing.. This thing always has an awful odor to it.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

This piece of junk was useless. Was breaking down within 2 years. Motor broke down after 1.5 years. $500 repair. Following year, top basket broke down and needed replacement. $170 repair. Nothing covered by the company at all. Wonder what will be next. My last dishwasher (different brand) worked for 8 years with no issues. Almost $700 in repairs within 3 years is unacceptable. I feel cheated by this company.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I purchased my KitchenAid dishwasher at Home Depot in April. I moved in my house the end of July. In Nov the dishwasher was not working. I tried returning it and home depot would not let me. I purchased the extended warranty and had to go through them. An appointment was scheduled for Nov 19 and the guy never showed up after waiting all day for him to come. I was told after all day he had to reschedule for another 4 day wait. The repair man said it was the motor. It is completely shot. I was told the motor would be in Dec 8th and installed the Tuesday after. After not hearing from them once again. For my appointment.

I spent an entire day on hold. 10 am to 4:00 pm to be exact to now be told they can’t find the motor (due to covid) and have 3-4 weeks to locate one before I will be issued a new dishwasher. It is now Dec 22. Still no answer. No one answering a phone and on hold for entire day. After now a month of dealing with this and no one wanting to help I would never buy kitchenaid again. Terrible service, no customer care.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Purchased Kitchen Aid dishwasher model KDTM404KPS from Home Depot in Nov2020. The 1st dishwasher had a problem day 1. It was extremely loud. Like a jet plane crashing. Metal grinding weird burning smell. I called Home Depot & told them it wasn’t working. I refused repair & demanded a replacement. I then had to spend 10hrs dealing with Home Depot & Whirlpool customer service before they would agree to replace the unit. The 2nd unit had to be returned because it arrived with massive damage to the door. Huge dent. The 3rd unit was finally installed in Dec2020. However, it still makes a lot of noise. Nowhere near their 44dba rating they claim. It’s the loudest dishwasher I have ever owned. Also, the dishes come out with a white haze. They come out dirtier than when you put them in. I’m going to call customer service again. This is the worst dishwasher I have ever owned.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Moved into a new house in 2017. It is 2020 and the dishwasher is leaking from the motor. Repair person come in and told us he is not able to find the part. Called Kitchen Aid and they basically told me too bad the washer is broken. Man-made things break. Would never buy a Kitchen Aid product again. Lousy workmanship and customer service is of NO help.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

My $2100 2016 Kitchenaid Dishwasher that came with only a 1 year warranty needed lots of repairs and parts in 2018. Now in 2020 it's completely broken and beyond repair. I called kitchenaid and asked if there's anything they would do... Nope. Never never buy anything kitchenaid - horrible service and the product is worthless. Cost me $375 for a repairman to tell me that.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

For what should be the top of the line for the Whirlpool Corporation, you should run not walk away from any KitchenAid dishwasher you see in the showroom. We purchased a new home less than 3 years ago which had a brand new Kitchenaid dishwasher. We are a family of 6 who cooks at home most nights so the dishwasher gets a lot of use. In the less than 3 years we have had the control panel motherboard replaced 2 times (thankfully under warranty) and last week the dishwasher started to leak significant amounts of water ruining part of our kitchen floor.

We had a technician come out and he knew right away it was the sump. He openly said this thing is a lemon which Whirlpool has known about for years and refuses to fix. We asked if we could fix it and his response was "Sure, these are one of the parts I carry with me to all jobs because they fail so much". However the repair cost was almost $500 so we have decided to send this piece of junk to the curb and purchase another brand. Whirlpool has lost a customer for life.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I think it is a design flaw. No vent to let steam escape in dry cycle. Chat with person didn't help. Tried calling and was told it would be a 80 minute wait. Old dishwasher had a vent in the door, worked well, but circuit board went out.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

Very quiet and excellent washing capability. However terrible reliability. Circulation pump was replaced twice in less than 4 years at $250 a hit. Not impressed at all and after a bit of research found that this is a very common issue. Cheap design using sleeve bearings that wear rapidly and cause pump leaks, noise and impeller failure. My recommendation - spend your money elsewhere if you want a reliable appliance.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

KitchenAid KDTM404KPS Bought this dishwasher for new Kitchen Reno. Very disappointed with it so far. While it appears to clean well, it is very noisy on the wash cycle, definitely not the 44 db they claim. The grids on the racks are far apart and if smaller items are placed they can fall right through. No grips on the racks that would normally hold these items in place. My biggest disappointment is the third rack. I would have preferred a full cutlery rack. This one does really not hold too much cutlery or cooking utensils. Also plastic items on the racks are not kept secure and I think fly around during the wash. I now wash these smaller items by hand! Have been trying to contact someone at Kitchenaid through CHAT on their website, and after a few minutes, before any one responds to me, I am disconnected.

Would like to ask Kitchenaid if they have any grips I can install in the dishwasher to secure smaller, lighter items. I hope they get to read this review. I would have bought a BOSCH instead, like the previous one I had. Just loved the third rack on it and with a higher db of 50, it was a lot more quieter. It too held a 16 place setting, and more as the area where the cutlery basket sits could hold large serving dishes. I bought my items in a rush during Covid-19, and was anxious to get out of the dealership as soon as possible.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Five or six years ago I purchased a high end Kitchenaid Dishwasher. Three times it flooded my house including once that triggered a substantial insurance claim. To 'make up for this' Whirlpool Canada offered me a discount on a new machine. I accepted the offer hoping the first machine was just a lemon. With the new machine I purchased the CertifiedCare extended warranty.

This past July my dishwasher stopped working. I called in and it took almost a month for a technician to come to look at it. He said he would order parts. Now it is the end of September, almost three months later, and I still do not have a working machine and no one from CertifiedCare or Whirlpool has even given hint that they care about solving the problem. I am married with six kids and need a working dishwasher in my house. Whirlpool needs to step up and do something about this.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I bought a stainless steel KitchenAid dishwasher 3 years ago and have had nothing but trouble. It has been repaired 4 times for the door popping open during a dishwashing cycle. Now the insulation has fallen out of the door and leaks a constant stream of water on the floor. The repair has been scheduled for a week from when I reported it. Nice sense of urgency and customer centric company. I wouldn’t buy a kitchenaid appliance.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

We built our house and moved in 2018. Two new dishwashers never worked. Both needed new motors. Outsourced to Mexico... took 3 weeks to be fixed. Now, 2 years later the motor in one of them went out again. We are buying a different brand now.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

We purchased our KitchenAid dishwasher three months ago. We have had at least two previous dishwashers which were fine. This model KDFE104HPS O leaves water on the dishes and the door. We had two repairmen look at it. The most recent said there seems to be no problem even though the dishes do not dry. He stated that 1) The stainless steel models seem to have that problem; 2) We need to get the water hot before starting the dishwasher so it does not lose the first cycle heating the water; 3) We should use a special rinse agent to aid the drying and 4) We should use the extra dry cycle. In addition, there is an odor that smells like a wet blanket and I think I have even smelled mold. I have owned five dishwashers over the years and have never had this problem. The solutions provided by the repairman actually will cost us more money to run the machine. The only good feature is how quiet it runs.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

KDTE204ESS - 24 inch dishwasher - Looks Nice but is trash. Bought in 2017 and ripping it out in 2020. Bad Soap dispenser in 2017 - serviced and replaced. Not cleaning dishes in 2017 - serviced and cleaned spinners not fixed. Had to rinse/clean dishes before running because they were always still dirty if we didn't from 2017 until now. Leaking on floor from broken sensor seal now in 2020. Was told by repairman that the pump doesn't turn the spinner cleaners because the pump is weak and has no pressure. So 700$ to fix the dishwasher and no guarantee that it will work any better with same crappy pump.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Bought a brand new Kitchenaid dishwasher from local Home Depot store. It was rated five out of five very expensive took the salesperson at Home Depot. After first wash realized not drying dishes and was leaking soap from bottom of door. Serviceman ordered four parts. A week later while we were waiting for part as we were using it stopped and showed two errors and water inside the unit. They said it was pump and part was not available though manufacturer. I requested from Kitchenaid for replacement. They said the warranty is only good for repair not replacing it. So now after eight weeks w/o dishwasher we have to wait for another three to four.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I used to love KitchenAid. I had a suite (dishwasher, refrigerator and range/oven) from them for 10 years in my old home and had no issues. Naturally, when I went to purchase appliances for my kitchen remodel in my new home, I bought KitchenAid again. A year after they were installed, the fan in the oven started to rattle and I began to notice surface rust on the appliances. I've always used stainless steel cleaner, and I never had this issue with my old appliances. The rust will not even come off with the cleaner. KitchenAid sent out a service technician who fixed the fan and looked at the rust. He said the rust was a problem with all of the stainless steel appliances when they get any water on them. Seriously? A dishwasher, refrigerator and oven? When do they not get water on them?

When I contacted KitchenAid, they told me it was a cosmetic issue and therefore not covered. They did call their service technician who said he only saw a small amount of surface rust on the stove and did not look at the other appliances. He also told them it was an environmental issue. (Totally different from the story he told me.). KitchenAid also said it was a cosmetic issue and there was nothing they could do about it as I had used the wrong brand of stainless steel cleaner and the environment was too moist. My home is 30 miles from the ocean in a desert climate, and my previous home (where I did not have problems) was much closer to the ocean, so how it that environmental? KitchenAid offered to send out a second technician out at my expense. I will never buy another KitchenAid product again.

Original review: July 6, 2020

We purchased our dishwasher (as part of a full set as a matter of fact) 2 years ago. It’s quiet, but has stopped washing dishes. We only use the soap and dry aid recommended by the manufacturer, and the dishwasher itself is cleaner regularly. The soap dispenser opens, but unless the bottom rack is left half empty, Ten soap doesn’t come out of the dispenser, or comes out but doesn’t dissolve. This started about six months ago, as an occasional problem, but by now it happens more often than not. Based on this, as well as my experiences with the rest of my appliances, I would not recommend this brand.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I had 2 different KitchenAid Dishwashers in 9 years. Neither lasted more than 5 years. One only lasted 4 -- AND I bought the 5 year warranty. However, it doesn't cover the PUMP which broke. What is the use!?! I am so frustrated. I was dismissed by their customer service, and just told "sorry." Well, that is certainly not good enough. This is a rip-off. If you are ok with spending over $800 every four years, good for you, but I am not. I called repair people in my area and they said the minimum cost to repair is 400. They said that model was not good to begin with, but I researched and researched, and I trusted the name. But they don't stand behind their product to even have parts in their warranty. I have to buy a new dishwasher, and I looked here for recommendations. I hope this helps someone avoid a KitchenAid mistake.

Original review: June 25, 2020

We have had KitchenAid dishwashers for 20 years. I got this dishwasher three years ago after six months, it wasn’t cleaning the dishes. The repairman came out and told me that I was using the wrong detergent. I switched to Cascade. The fact that you need to buy a special detergent to go with these dishwashers seemed pretty peculiar, but I did it. Since then I’ve had a repairman out three times because it leaks, wasn’t cleaning the dishes, water wasn’t emptying, and now all of the wheels have dissolved and fallen off the dishwasher on the bottom rack. They have melted onto the drying bar. I am grateful they didn’t start a fire.

The repairman came out and told me that I was using the detergent Cascade and that dissolves the plastic on the dishwasher wheels.... WHAT???? I finally called kitchenaid and she told me that have never heard of this ever happening and that my warranty was out. I told them that not have if any wheels on my bottom rack was inexcusable and I demanded they send me wheels. Finally they said they would. That was 7 days ago. They said they would send them but if I couldn’t put them on I’d have to hire someone, they would not pay for that. I am very disappointed in kitchen aid, and will never, ever buy another.

Original review: June 9, 2020

$1000 dishwasher that is 2 years, 3 months old left upper rack rail rusted at the spot welds and broke off. Customer service would not honor replacement part. Upper rack was under warranty (5 years) but not the rail. New rail is ~$60. This dishwasher replaced a working cheaper model (noisy) that was 15 years old. Can’t believe the poor construction.

Customer service is the worst. On hold for ~1 hour then Was told it would be a $139 service charge just for the guy to come here to evaluate the failure, I said no and just wanted the part so I could install they then transferred to the Parts dept. on hold for a half hour only to be told they don’t do warranty orders. Then transferred back to escalate issue for another hour just to be disconnected. Never buy Whirlpool or KitchenAid again.

Original review: May 22, 2020

We’ve had our Kitchenaid dishwasher for 5 years. We’ve had to replace many parts (all 4 wheel assemblies on the bottom rack, another part of the top rack (upper dishwasher height adjustment). The parts are plastic, and are poor quality. Look for a better model or brand that uses metal parts. The dishwasher cost around $900, and we’ve spent $250 on replacement parts.

Original review: April 24, 2020

I purchased a Dual Fuel Range, Microwave and Dishwasher all at the same time. The dishwasher 2 years 1 month old. The motor went on this appliance. I called Kitchen Aid, they put me in touch with a repair company. A $ 500.00 repair!!! Don't spend your money on Kitchen Aid, buy a cheaper model and throw it out. I called Kitchen Aid and they offered nothing!!! Kitchen Aid will never get another dime of my business. Model KDTE234GPSO.

KitchenAid Dishwashers Company Information