4.0/5 (671 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About KitchenAid Dishwashers

For decades, the KitchenAid brand has been synonymous with kitchen appliances. The dishwashers are known for several important features: high load capacity, robust wash systems and quiet cleaning. These convenient features and a reliable brand name often translate into high costs. While KitchenAid has dishwasher models in the top-of-the-line price range, several models are on the high end of average.

Pros

• Third-level rack
  • Sound level as low as 39 dB
  • Triple filter helps prolong life

Cons

• Premium price tag
  • Slightly longer than standard cabinet

Bottom Line

KitchenAid dishwashers are an investment, but they are a reliable choice. While it’s a high-end brand, there are affordable models. Features like a third rack, triple filter and quiet operation make these dishwashers a great choice.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

KitchenAid Dishwashers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid Dishwashers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid Dishwashers?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Updated on 03/28/2022: KitchenAid assured me the product would be fixed free of charge. On March 22 they told me the part was "lost" and within 3 days they would call me to have it repaired. It is well over 3 days and unfortunately they still have not contacted me. I have been without this dishwasher now for 3 months. Horrible customer service to accompany a horrible product.

Original Review: I bought the KDTM604 top of the line dishwasher on July 26, 2020 from Lowe's. I spent good money and had to wait forever. Well I am sitting here today writing a review because two weeks ago it broke and the service man was just able to come check it. So the pump is already broken. Before you wonder I must say, I am single so I do not use my dishwasher a lot and I do not use the highest setting. I use all the products they told me to use including the all important RinseAid (which I do love). So if you do buy this product get an extended warranty, but I would just not buy this product.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

We built a new home and purchased all new appliances, including a very expensive KitchenAid dishwasher. The electronics burn out (and nearly cause a fire) after seven months. Kitchen Aid does not support its own product but relies on unreliable subcontractors. After already waiting for repairs for two weeks, now we are told the parts are not available. Frankly, I do not want a defective dishwasher to be defectively repaired. So far, KitchenAid will not honor our requests for a new dishwasher. This is poor product support and customer service. These are expensive dishwashers that you should avoid.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

We are incredibly disappointed and frustrated about our KitchenAid purchase. 14 months ago, we purchased an entire set of "stainless steel" KitchenAid appliances and costing over $13,000. In such a short time frame, the "upgraded" appliances are starting to rust. It is apparent that the "stainless steel" is not true as advertised. Instead, they sold us basic metal that is polished to resemble stainless steel. Considering the KitchenAid brand we expected unparalleled products and customer service. Needless to say, we called the manufacturer and they will not acknowledge the fraud and will not replace or repair.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

Nov Posted by Amna 11/28/21 7:55 PM. I bought a kitchen aid dishwasher 4 months ago. It's stopped working right after one month. I called customer support and warranty, they said that they don't have any availability until next month. We waited patiently and the services guy showed up finally after one month. He took a peek at the dishwasher for 3 minutes and claimed that the motor has stopped working. He said that he does not have an extra motor and he needs to order one. He claimed that the motor would arrive by next week and he could come and install it.

It has been 2 months now and the guy never shows up! We are calling and calling the customer support and there is no response. After a long wait time the call

Disconnects. I would never ever recommend kitchen products to anyone ever! They have the worst customer service and they have no empathy for their customers! I am disappointed because I overpaid for this kitchen aid dishwasher. The worst company ever people! Never ever waste your money on such cheap and low quality and of course useless products!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

We bought a KitchenAid dishwasher in 2019, and while it is very quiet (nice!), plastic parts on the interior assembly have started to disintegrate to the point that they are breaking off. And we don't run it often as a household of two. Why is it that manufacturers cheap out on parts so much these days? Maybe plastic isn't meant to be washed and baked at high temperatures. Can we please go back to the old school appliances that last for 30 years?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

We’ve had many KitchenAid products and all have pretty reliable. Purchased top of the line model dishwasher 2 years and 4 months ago. The control board just went out. The part is covered by warranty but NOT THE LABOR. That is $249, about 1/5 of the original price. For the purchase price and the company’s profit margin, I wish companies would quite these boards from China because they are junk.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

I ordered KitchenAid dishwasher from Lowes Sept-15 -21. On October 15 they got my order and was missing KitchenAid Stainless Steel Dish Handle, they told me at Lowes, "Return it and get your money back" or we order another dishwasher, I don't want to waiting another month, I called a plumber to install the dishwasher, and I called customer service and I explained what happened and they told me part is back order but I can buy direct from parts for 86.00 USD.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I have had the Kitchen Aid dishwasher since 2007 and have had no major problems with it. Had to replace the pump after 10 years which my husband was able to do with minimum effort. That was 5 years ago and it still works perfectly!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Bought this high end dishwasher in January. Immediate problems where washer stopped mid-cycle. Over six months had repairman out constantly. The fix never lasted a week. Couldn't get a replacement washer until June after a zillion repair visits. The replacement washer which was the same model worked 4 mos. now again having same problem. Repairman usually can't come for 10 days and then sometimes a part must be ordered and another visit made. In between time, we have no dishwasher. This is fraudulent and for customer a whole year of misery. The dishwasher model is first in the series. Obviously a lemon and should simply be replaced quickly with a different model. Super surprised a large company does not have a better service/replacement policy. It is unethical. The product does not work.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Our KitchenAid dishwasher came with our new house and it is indeed very quiet and does a good job washing dishes. The third rack is great improvement over the door-mounted utensil rack in our old Whirlpool (same company). However after two years st started blowing the circuit breaker and a second technician said it was a bad control board. These are back ordered 3-4 weeks. It has been down for a month and probably another month or more before it gets repaired. KitchenAid ought to keep a stock of parts that are failing on their products. It was the same problem getting the microwave fixed 6 months ago.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Upper rack was over designed with too many moving features causing inherent weaknesses in plastic components. One year after use started the first plastic tabs started breaking. Without buying a whole new rack there was only one option. Had to figure out stainless steel bolts and nuts to replace broken tabs. Tedious but do-able. I believe most people (probably 95%) do not adjust the racks anyway because they are complicated to adjust. Why build things that break? Just keep it simple! Otherwise this dishwasher works great. It is very quiet and washes well. Clean look. If they would make the upper rack as simple as the bottom rack it would be bullet proof. But no, the Kitchenaid engineers and marketing people had to complicate it by putting in breakable features most people do not use. Thanks for messing up an otherwise great product. Now figuring out my fourth set of bolts to keep the upper rack in place and gliding like it should.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Very quiet and cleans dishes very well and dries them very well. It has stainless steel inside for quieter operation. The utensil rack is handy removable and and extra top rack is great for putting flat objects on. The top rack for cups and glasses is adjustable.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Had trouble installing unit. The dishwasher had a leak that took three servicemen to correct. The leak came from the bottom of the unit. It apparently was a improper install. (Home Depot purchase.) It took 3 weeks to have problem resolved.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Had this DW for 4+ yrs. Had to replace the Control Panel (warranty but $225 service call) and both of the upper rack adjusters ($80 ea, done by me). These parts should not fail this early. DW is lemon.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Super disappointing to replace my 20 yr old Kitchenaid Whisper Quiet dishwasher with a new model and have it be dead in 4 months. The motor started buzzing and the service guy says it's shot. No idea how long to get a replacement part. Kitchenaid's customer service was worthless. Next time I will pay for the Miele.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Don't order anything at all from KitchenAid. They'll happily take your money for your order but don't expect to see delivered anytime within the following year. They also won't bother letting you know why have not received your order or any other information about it. Their 'customer service' people's willingness to help get information is abysmal. Ordered in March, and no word. My dealer and their owners can't even get an answer from KitchenAid/Whirlpool.

Original review: July 23, 2021

I was talked into purchasing a KitchenAid dishwasher by a sales associate. I went in to buy a Bosch (great product) but was talked into spending a little more because KitchAid is suppose to be the best. I am here to tell you it is NOT!! First, my heating element went out. It was a recall for that particular year so they sent me the parts free of charge but I had to pay someone to replace it! Then the wheels dry rotted on my top rack. That was another recall so once again, they sent me the part (top rack) free of charge, but it was up to me to install it. NOW...the wheels on my bottom rack dry rotted, not a recall (how odd bc the top rack did the exact same thing), this time they are not doing anything to remedy the faulty part!! This company is terrible! DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT buy KitchenAid Appliances! They are truly a waste of money and they do not stand behind their products!! Terribly Disappointed!

Original review: July 16, 2021

We bought a whole suite of KitchenAid large appliances (from Ferguson's) for our new home build. We have been very satisfied with the performance of all - UNTIL the dishwasher tore up. It was still under the factory warranty. We called the issue in and there was a local company (American Appliance) that arrived 3 weeks later to repair. They discovered that the heating element of the dishwasher was broken and needed to be replaced. They ordered the part. They said it should arrive in 7-10 business days. After that amount of time, I called to be told that it was on backorder. They didn't have any clue of when the part would be back in stock. Therefore, we started reaching out to KitchenAid directly.

We have spent over 6+ hours trying to reach KitchenAid and to speak to their technical department, parts department, warranty group, and finally complaint group. We have been told multiple things - there was a recall on the part (can't confirm that one), the part was out of stock and would not be in stock until after December 30 (totally unacceptable), and that the part was finally now in stock. We were told on July 8 that the part would go out to us on a truck the next day. Apparently that didn't happen. We have been on the phone with KitchenAid complaints again today for over 1.5 hours (more time) to be told that the part has been ordered but has not been pulled and shipped yet and that it would take another 2-3 weeks for that to happen.

We made the choice to buy Kitchenaid (Whirlpool) appliances for our new house because they are American made and felt that they would stand behind their products. We are so dissapointed in how this has been handled. We are going to be without our dishwasher for at least 2+ months (and we are a family of 6 people). Our disappointment comes from both the quality of the part but even more importantly the way we have been treated and the repair handled once it tore up. I would not recommend them today. I would be cautious because if you have issues it is not an easy road to travel! Our warranty has not been very effective up to this point.

Original review: June 17, 2021

My KitchenAid dishwasher caught fire caused damage to my home. There was a class action lawsuit with a substantial settlement/compensation to the owners. KitchenAid offered me $100 off MSRP for a new dishwasher. I can purchase a new dishwasher for hundreds off msrp at my local mom and pop store. KitchenAid's offer is not only insulting and offensive but also no different to what they offer all their customers with minor complaints. Kitchenaid dishwashers involved in the lawsuit were found to be faulty and downright dangerous as they catch fire and can burn a home down. Had I not been home at the time, my home would have been destroyed and $100 is what they think is appropriate. KitchenAid does not stand by their products nor do they provide support or assistance.

Original review: June 11, 2021

We did a lot of research and talked to appliance salesmen before we purchased our Kitchenaid dishwasher two years ago. Everyone gave this make and model great reviews. When it worked, it was great. It had the extra arm in the bottom. 3rd rack. Then about three months ago it would not drain a lot of the time. We would find soapy water after the cycle. We called kitchen aid, looked on Youtube and tried to correct the problem. Had to press drain cycle to get rid of water and then we did rinse. Sometimes still water in bottom. We called our local repair man and he diagnosed it as being a defective drain pump. Called Kitchen aid. They will cover the part only if we use their repair service. So now I will have to pay them after paying my guy a diagnostic fee! THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN IN A TWO YEAR OLD Dishwasher. !! Repair guy said all new appliance are not built to last. Next time I will get a minimum feature model. I noticed others have had similar problems. Wish I had seen these reviews before buying.

Original review: May 3, 2021

My experience with KitchenAid was the worst ever. 3 months after I bought the dishwasher it broke down and I have been dealing with KitchenAid ever since and nothing has been done. You spend at least an hour to actually get someone on the phone and then they don’t help you. I had someone come to fix the dishwasher 3 months after I bought dishwasher and they blamed on the plumbing. I had 2 different plumber coming. They tell me nothing is wrong with the plumbing. I spent almost 1,000 on a dishwasher that I use for 3 months and KitchenAid don’t give a damn about fixing or replaced so now I’m taking a loss of a $1,000 and have to go buy another dishwasher. Our plan was to replaced all our appliances KitchenAid. Thank God we didn’t do it, because I really don’t ever want to deal with them again.

Original review: March 18, 2021

I had both of my KitchenAid Rack Adjuster WPW10546503 broke causing the rack to be unstable but fortunately did not fall and cause extensive damage. KitchenAid Dishwasher Rack Adjuster WPW10546503 cost $51.36 each at KitchenAid, I found it cheaper online. I noticed multiple posts and even a Class Action about these parts and KitchenAid is doing nothing. I assume the problem is the same with the silverware basket which carries a price of almost $80.

Original review: March 13, 2021

We bought out KITCHENAID dishwasher for a few reasons, (1) we love our KITCHENAID small appliances and (2) they were recommended by the sales person in the store. Our experience with all of our KITCHENAID large appliances has been very disappointing. Quality for price is zero. We have repaired our dishwasher 8 times in 8 years. To the point where the repairman is like an old friend! Our other KitchenAid appliances have had multiple repairs as well. Suffice it to say we will never buy another KitchenAid large appliance or anything else made by Whirlpool. I would rather pay more. Especially when all in I have paid the equivalent of a top of the line dishwasher for a piece of rubbish!

Original review: March 8, 2021

Purchased a Kitchen aid dishwasher on 01/21/21 to replace a Kitchen Aid dishwasher that did not last 3 years. Was not what I wanted but beggars can't be choosers. Model number KDFM404KPSO, the first issue was that it smelled like an oil refinery when operating, and still does. Called the manufacturer, and was told "oh that is the material they used to help with heat retention. It should dissipate in 6 months or so." Believe me that this smell was/ is nauseating. Second issue was the noise level. It was touted as one of the quietest on the market, believe me it is not. It was making noises that the service rep sent to check it out could not explain. Now scheduled for a complete rebuild after less than 2 months.

Third issue. It does not get some of the dishes dry especially on the top racks, and yes we use a drying agent. Both kitchen aid dishwashers have proven unreliable, but at least while the old one worked it did not stink up my kitchen, and you could not tell it was running when standing over it. Will NEVER buy another product made by this manufacturer, and they make several different brands.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

This KitchenAid Dishwasher could use some improvements. My dishwasher is louder than I prefer. It does not clean up to my expectations. All dishwashers need to have many cycle choices, including Rinse and Hold. All households need a beneficial well-working dishwasher!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Price. Quality and look are great! Compared to other brands it’s hundred off dollars less. Same product for less money and a name brand item. Scratch resistant and fingerprint resistant. Great large families.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Our Kitchen Aid dishwasher is approximately six years old and has performed remarkably. We've experienced no breakdowns, leaks etc. Most of the reviews that indicated the units have a leak problem are due to improper installation. I'm incredibly impressed with how quiet it runs.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

Nice product. Quiet operation. Gets the dishes really clean. Front looks really nice. It has many options; like tough wash, prewash, rinse only, Prowash cycle, and wash delay. It also has settings for Sani Rinse, extended heat dry, Hi-temperature Wash.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

Our KitchenAid model has an excellent interior design for rack spacing, sizes, configuration and ease of loading. The wash system is also excellent as dishes & glassware come out clean and sparkling.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

KitchenAid had an advantage right away with me. Our old dishwasher was so noisy my wife would not start it until we went to bed far away from it. So I was ready to spend anything when we replaced it. We spent a little more, not much really, and have been happy ever after. Our KitchenAid has been very quiet and we are happy campers. I am definitely a fan of KitchenAid dishwashers.

KitchenAid Dishwashers Company Information