3.44/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Guardian Protection Products provide furniture protection that covers fabric, leather, wood, mattresses, and more. Their furniture protection products do not contain bleach, other harsh chemicals and work safely on a variety of materials.

We also have Guardian Furniture Care Products to keep your furniture protected and looking new. Call today to learn more!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

656 Guardian Protection Products Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

On Christmas time, we had an issue with some spilled soft drink on the cushions. I didn’t wanna void the warranty, so I called Guardian for stain removal. The tech came within the week and he did a fine job. It took him 20 minutes to get the stain out. So far, my Guardian Protection plan has met my expectations.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I purchased the protection product for stains on furniture from Guardian Protection Products. I have a chaise lounge was a stain and a bad smell that had to come out, so I requested for service. However, the experience I had with Guardian's customer service was not so good. I called three times within a week and was on hold for over an hour for all three times. Also, they let me have the option to have a call back each time where I would list my place online. I opted in to do that a few times, but nobody called me back. An hour for three days in a row on hold and I still didn’t get anybody. By the fourth time, I called the furniture place where I got the furniture and they gave me a different number to call. I was able to reach someone and a technician was dispatched within two days. Everything went well when the technician came out. He took the stain out and took the smell away. It was easy.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

VERY BAD EXPERIENCE WITH GUARDIAN, ORIGINAL CLAIM WAS SUBMITTED IN NOV 2018, NOT HEARD ANYTHING FROM THEM TILL FEB 2019.

After calling them multiple times holding online for hours finally I got someone to speak and said that the stain on my table is not covered but it's a oil. I explained to them it's not caustic oil and the stain is caused by food preparation oil. Still they deny it. Basically they will come and clean if there is a beverage spill which we can do it ourselves anyway. Why pay almost $400 for nothing. Run away from this company. Never ever purchase anything from them. Save your money.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I purchase a 5 yr plan for my leather sectional and I have tried putting in two claim where a seam was coming apart and also were my toddler has teethed the one side of the cushion. Submitted the photos requested and was supposed to hear back in 5 business days. I had to call them to find out what they were going to do about it. After over two weeks waiting for them to say that it looks like a condition of the leather that they don’t cover that in the plan even though I had the exact incident. They told me it would have to be a puncture in the leather or a significant rip for them to consider it.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have a sleeper couch I purchased at Bob's two years ago. Whatever mechanism holds the bed up when it is put away seems to have broken, thus resulting in the cushion sinking down to the floor, rendering the couch itself unusable. I took every picture, from every angle, showing the extensive damage caused by this one part of the couch breaking. I have a copy of my Protection plan, which includes all the relevant information of a store receipt. After speaking to two separate customer service people, I am still receiving requests for the invoice.

One of the service people were even nice enough to retrieve my store receipt and attach it to my claim. I am still receiving emails requesting the store receipt. I requested to speak to the department that kept making the request, as they have the receipt, the insurance plan invoice as well as all the pictures they requested, and was told that they cannot transfer me to that department. It is as though they are delaying in order to run out the thirty day report period of the policy. I will never buy from Bob's again because of this. They have insurance because they know their furniture isn't exactly the most durable. And their plan is horrible. Next time, I'll pay more for something more durable. This frustration isn't worth it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guardian Protection Products, Inc?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I've had two claims with Guardian for my sectional sofa, both times for a urine stain. The first time, I wasn't registered so I had to wait almost a month before it got through. But after that, the repairman came out within a week. The second time I filed a claim, it went much smoother. The tech called me the same day to set the appointment and he came out two days later. He was awesome. I just hope that Guardian would offer structural damage coverage in their future plans with the companies that they sell their products to.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Consumer Alert!!! This company is a certified SCAM! Do not purchase any of their protection plans! Steer Clear! They won't even honor the simplest of claims. $8 spring plates broke on 1 of 4 $800 Rocker Swivel patio chairs from Carl's Patio. The brochure falsely claims any frame or structure related damage is covered, but a simple $8 fix was denied. I ordered replacement spring plates from Amazon and made the repair myself.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Over a month ago, a friend sat in a patio rocker/swivel chair on my back deck. The weld broke that holds the chair together. The chair cost $2430. I contacted Guardian who demanded a copy of the original invoice and photographs of the broken weld. After trying twice and having them claim they didn't receive the documents, we sat on the phone with one of the clerks until she admitted that they had received the information. Now the fun starts. They tell you, once you've run the gamut of documentation, that your claim will be assigned to another department that will take up to two weeks to review your claim and try to resolve the problem. Three weeks later I get a phone call from a company 2,000 miles away telling me that they've been hired to fix the fabric tear in my chair and that they're going to find a local company to do it. I explain that it's a weld and they reply that they don't weld anything.

I tell them to call Guardian and they tell me that they're not allowed to call the insurance company and I have to do it. I contacted Guardian and complained loudly about incompetence and horrible business ethic I am re-assigned to yet another "fixer" who will contact me when she finds another solution. I'm told that the negotiators do not accept telephone calls and the girls that answer the phone are not allowed to give out the fixer's e-mails. I'm now in my sixth week of this unbelievable crap... Don't buy the policy. It may not be a scam, but it's not worth the time it will take you to get the furniture fixed yourself... Trust me...

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We had purchase a power oversized recliner from Boscov's department store about 2 years ago and purchase the extended warranty from Guardian. The back of the recliner started to lean to the right and you began to sink down in the right hand corner. I just from all the stress that it was causing it finally broke. The first time that I had tried to call Guardian. I was on the phone for over 40 minutes and got no answer. So finally upon calling at exactly 8 am I finally got someone. I explained what happen to the recliner and their response was “how did it happen”. How do I know how it happened it just happened.

They went through the process and shared to know if I wanted to take 24 hours and talk to everyone in the household to see if they knew how it happened because the claim may not be covered. When the lady finally did finish the process she said that it was submitted but they could not let me know if it was going to be covered. I asked how long it was going to take and the response was 5 business days. They never said about having anyone coming out to check it or anything. Why would it take up to 5 business days to do a claim. So in the meantime I am stuck with no chair in our family room. What a major inconvenience and a pain in the **. Depending on this outcome the protection most likely will not be purchased again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

One my chair handle broke and I called Guardian to claim since I purchased their 5 year warranty. I didn't know how it broke and I told them am not sure how it happened. So they rejected my claim saying it is caused by normal use. How can I break the armchair by normal use. Their way of rejecting by looking at incident is awful. Such a bad service and way to rip off your money. So if you are a person who never lied better lie when you talk with this cheaters about the incident that caused the damage.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have two areas on the back of my 3 year old sofa where a piece of wood or metal are sticking out (has not yet punctured through sofa fabric, but has damaged drywall behind it). I called to report situation to Guardian, as I purchased a 5-year warranty. I have no idea how this happened to my sofa and it currently doesn't seem to be affecting the sofa's function. Guardian WILL NOT cover any damage unless you know exactly how it happened. This is so disappointing and absolutely ridiculous!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My outdoor couches are covered under Guardian Protection's furniture plan. I filed claims and the first one was when my niece was playing with nail polish and it stained my couches. The second time was when I was pulling out a furniture into my living room, it got caught in the loveseat. I called Guardian and it took me almost 40 minutes to speak with someone. There was a long wait time. Besides that, my concerns were addressed. And my only thing is the people that they bring in to service my stuff aren’t the most knowledgeable people, and I'm not happy with the level of work that I've received.

They didn’t repair the item. There's still a discolor to it. Another time was they forgot to address one area of the sofa, which wasn’t really stapled. They had to come in for a second visit to staple it. I just wish that it was taken care of the first time. And also, scheduling is pretty difficult with some of the vendors. The first time, I had to wait almost a week and a half until I got serviced. I would like them to turn over a resolution a lot quicker.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

We have Guardian Protection Products for the couch and two recliners we've purchased. My son had a bloody nose on the couch and we called Guardian for a service request. The customer service rep was quick at getting somebody out here. The technician came the next day and he was great, very friendly and professional. Guardian was good overall.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We had a La-Z-Boy sofa and one of our dogs had a seizure and an accident on it. I filed a request on Guardian and the reps I talked to were great. They said that they'd come out and take care of it. The service tech came out about a week later because I wasn’t gonna be there. The guy got it done quickly. He cleaned the furniture and there was no smell and no residue left on it.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

If Guardian can find a loophole to deny a claim they will. A technician gave us instructions, which we followed, then a claim was denied as a result. The technician didn't report his instructions to us so it was assumed we lied.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Guardian Protection Services sold me a Goof Proof warranty for my boy's bunk bed. They promise to cover the need for any goofing accident that happened, however when I called they told me they can't cover my bed.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Purchased a very expensive dining room table with 6 side chairs from Morris Furniture Company that was delivered and Guardian Protection Plan start date on 1/14/2017. I purchased a Premium 5 year Guardian Protection Plan Plus for $349.95. Our dining room very rarely gets used. So there is very limited "wear and tear". Since delivery, it has been used twice, a baby shower (April 2017) and during a family gathering (November 2017). On Saturday, January 12, 2019, we had friends over to watch football. Once friend grabbed a dining room chair and moved it over around the couch to sit and view the TV. When she sat down in the chair, the wood frame completely split. My guest and myself were both mortified. I reported the claim online on Monday 1/14/19 and received a response today 1/21/19.

This is the email received in response to my claim: "The damage you have reported is not eligible for coverage under your protection plan. The plan you purchased from Morris Furniture does cover your furniture for breakage of wood frame or structure or other hard surface however your plan states all damages must be relatable to an accidental occurrence. This excerpt was pulled directly from your protection plan. A copy of your plan has been attached for your reference. “Normal wear and tear, including damage of this type cannot be attributed to a single relatable accident.” Responses to this email are not received."

Nowhere in my Plan am I able to locate the statement of "Normal wear and tear" as Guardian stated in their denial response. According to the Plan I purchased, this was an occurrence of accidental damage during normal residential use and should be covered. Also based on the response from Guardian, "responses to this email are not received", but in the very next line it says, "Reply to this email to respond". There is nothing subjective about the incident, the Plan and coverage provided or the claim and the damage to my dining chair should be covered. What is subjective is Guardian's response, lines of communication and their claim of wording from my protection plan contract. I have also reached out to Morris Furniture Company and their Assistant Manager is looking into my account to see what they can help with. I would expect the store to stand by the quality of their products and the protection plans that they sell.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I purchased 2 leather couches with built-in electronic recliners from Bob's Home Furniture and also purchased the 5-year Goof Proof Plan offered by Bob's through Guardian for $129.99. This is a review of 1) the couches and 2) my experience with the insurance coverage. 1) The couches: The couches were very comfortable, but not durable at all. We experienced accidental damage to them which should have been covered by the 5-year Goof Proof Plan.

2) Here is what the plan states for coverage related to leather damage: "2. LEATHER/VINYL: a) Standard – Accidental stains caused by any food or beverage normally consumed by humans; mold and mildew stains caused by food or beverage spills; stains caused by human or pet bodily fluids; grass, grease, ballpoint pen ink, nail polish, cosmetics, lipstick, crayon, and shoe polish. Accidental rips, cuts, punctures or burns from a single relatable occurrence. Lipstick, crayon and ballpoint pen ink marks totaling more than 6 inches in length are considered preventable and will not be covered."

As stated above, "Accidental rips, cuts, punctures or burns from a single relatable occurrence." are covered under the contract of the plan. However, you may or may not be surprised to know that they WILL NOT HONOR THEIR CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS. We had accidental rips/cuts/punctures.

I reached out to the phone # on the Goof Proof Plan when an accident occurred with the couches. Although I called the number listed on the Goof Proof coverage Plan and initiated a claim on 11/4/18 (within the 5-year contract terms), I was routed to Bob's instead of Guardian. This is something that the second person I spoke to today (Andrea, Jasmine's supervisor) at Bob's said sometimes happens if you're on hold for too long and Guardian doesn't answer the phone- it gets re-routed to Bob's.

Unbeknownst to me, they processed the claim under Bob's coverage instead of under Guardian's coverage. They had previously replied to my email claim from November 2018 saying "The damage you are reporting is not consistent with a factory defect". But I had not claimed that it was a factory defect. I had reported that it was related to a specific accident, so it doesn't make sense that they would have treated the claim as a factory defect under Bob's plan terms instead of as an accident under Guardian's plan terms. Please BE AWARE that they will route your claim wherever they can TO NOT HONOR THEIR CONTRACT WITH YOU.

I tried to rectify the situation today, having just learned that they had routed the claim from 11/4/18 improperly, but neither Bob's nor Guardian would take ownership and honor the claim that should be covered under the Goof Proof plan. Upon discussing the issue with Guardian, the representative Elizabeth spoke to her manager and came back to me saying that I could have Bob's send the claim over to Guardian since it was initiated within the 5-year plan coverage (on 11/4/18), but then she retracted that statement and said that I could not because I was contacting them today (1/19/19) for a contract that ended yesterday (1/18/19). I'm infuriated because I started the process back in November but was never told that I wasn't dealing with Guardian or the Goof Proof Plan when they initiated the claim.

I am an extremely frustrated customer who feels that he has been scammed and wasted his money on insurance that stated it would cover something that they are now saying it will not cover. I am currently pursuing a legal course of action to get them to honor their contract with me. In the meantime, I am asking at the very least for the $129.99 back that I paid for the insurance which was a TOTAL LIE. Both Bob's Home Furniture and Guardian ARE TERRIBLE. They LOST A CUSTOMER TODAY FOREVER. And I plan to spread the word to everyone I know that Bob's Home Furniture and Guardian are running a SCAM.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I would never buy Guardian again. We bought protection for all our furniture and our experience has been terrible. Our puppy peed on the carpet, and we had them come out to clean it. When the guy came out, he was very nice. He cleaned it and we paid for the service. And now, I have three huge circles exactly where they cleaned my carpet. The circles don't go away and they are like dark blue versus the light blue all around. I have a $10,000 carpet that I bought Guardian for, and it should be like it was. Now, it looks retarded. So, I've been disappointed.

Filing our request was not easy because I had to call them. The lady was very nice, but it took me probably 20 minutes to do the whole phone call, which is time consuming. And then, I had to wait for an email and then they sent a thing to confirm that the actual time would work. Doing the claim should be a lot quicker and a lot easier. I shouldn't have to measure every inch of the stain. I shouldn't have to tell them it was four by four, or a square, or rectangular. That was unnecessary. I should just be able to tell them, "I need you to come. I have a stain on my carpet." I had to like write a book for the woman.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I purchased a five-year warranty from Guardian and it's really nice. I called because I have a newborn baby and when I was changing her, she peed on the couch. Then with the other couch, I had Coke in the middle of it. The representative that I dealt with was perfect. I told them I’m not good with describing and she was helping me. She was pretty good. Plus everything that she said was true.

They were calling me on the second day about the schedule. But because I work, I had to set the schedule all the way until Sunday. I adjusted a little bit to my day-off so I could stay with them at home and see the results. The guy who came took a picture before and he also took a picture after. He cleaned the couches very well and was super fast and generous with the cleaning. He was really nice too. He even showed me the result and how dirty it actually was. I appreciated it. It was really good work.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I purchased a warranty on my couch and loveseat and have called various times to file a claim. I wait on the phone for over an hour several times with no response. Even leaving a call back number gets no response. I have all my paperwork, have gone online to register a claim, and still no luck. Someone, please tell me, is this place for real?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I Purchased a lot of furniture from Bob’s which is great and customer service great! I also purchased the Goof Proof with these items! DO NOT get the GOOF PROOF! I made three or four complaints to Goof Proof and never did they fix any of the problems! First they do not cover any electronics for the recliner’s only the motor which will never go! As far as Rips, Springs wear and tear, broken base, anything, they will not fix it! Trust me!

They will come up with something that says it’s your fault and not an accident! Whatever THEY define as an accident and you will only find out after they refuse your claim! You must trust me on this! I laugh now when they refuse my accidents And I take this as a lesson learned not once not twice three or four separate times! But I finally learnedly lesson! They call it a protection plan but you are protected from nothing! So please do not waste your money on Goof Proof and if you do you could only blame yourself For not listening when you Attempt to make a claim!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We had a puppy throw up on the couch and when we filed the request with Guardian, they got ahold of someone right away. It was a couple of days before a technician could come out though, and I was afraid that after a couple of days, the couch would be stained so bad, they wouldn't be able to get it out. I would have liked to have them come right away. But it was okay and the stain was removed. I also kinda felt sorry for the man because he had to come from Iowa City and the job only took him about a half hour. So he really had to drive quite a ways to get here. But he was very efficient.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Our baby vomits a lot. I submitted a claim to Guardian Protection for the sofa and the dresser, and I told the lady on the phone that the right side of the sofa was more affected. That’s where it was concentrated but it was all over the sofa. The technician was very quick. I left for the supermarket just to buy something. He got to the house and when I came back, he wasn’t there anymore. He only cleaned a small part of the sofa. If you call for two pieces of furniture, Guardian should do both. The technician only did one and didn’t even do it completely. But at least he came two days after our call.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We bought our couches with Guardian Protection Products warranty and it covers all staining or spills. One time, we had some friends over and one of them spilled some soda on the couch. My wife contacted Guardian and it took about 11 days to dispatch a technician. The technician was able to remove the stain. Guardian has met our expectations so far and I would use them again.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We purchased a sectional and dining room set from Bob's Discount Furniture with the Goof Proof Plan. After a few weeks I noticed a small hole in the bonded leather seat cushion of one of the dining room chairs. When I called the Goof Proof warranty, I couldn't provide a specific occurrence, as nobody saw the puncture happen, the claim was denied. The agent claimed that she couldn't tell me that a specific occurrence was needed to approve a warranty claim. When I spoke to a supervisor I was told that a specific occurrence was needed because the incident might be included in the four pages of warranty exclusions.

The Bob's Goof Proof web page does state: "A specific cause of the accident must be reported." So I should have visited the website before calling the warranty claim phone number. But for Pete's sake. A seat cushion is under your rear end, you might not notice that the cushion is damaged for some time, unless you look at your seat before and after every time you sit down. Do not waste your money on the Goof Proof coverage, the warranty provider Guardian Products/Guardian Protection Plans will do everything they can to deny your claim. I would have given zero stars if it was allowed.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Guardian Furniture Protection Plan covered pet stains, rips and tears for our leather sofa. I had a pet stain on the couch. I also had little like hairs from clothing from sitting on it and just little, teeny tears. But that wasn’t addressed. The one I spoke to that actually set up the equipment was really nice and helpful. I’ve actually requested help before too, and no one ever came out.

Nevertheless, the tech was fine. He didn’t say much. I showed him where the pet stains were, and then he used his machine to do the cleaning and told me not sit on it for 24 hours because it would be wet. Then I asked him about the little tears and stuff. He said that it's not his department and I have to call back. I’m not too satisfied. My cat urinated on my couch and the smell hasn’t come out. So I was under the impression that it didn’t work to come out, but there was some type of compensation for the item.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

These people are the biggest fraudulent company that I ever had to face. They can’t fix anything and they are big time scammers. Just because of these frauds I also had to stop purchasing furniture from Bob's furniture.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

These people will play you out of your money for you to get warranty, but can’t help fix nothing. Their customer care are nice, but their system sucks. All the products that they say that they can repair or replace. It’s false information just to get money! Very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I purchased a $370 protection plan for my leather furniture. Among other things, it covers "accidental stains caused by cosmetics". I used a mineral-based lotion that stained the leather recliner in one sitting. So I looked up my protection plan and called them. Their system is designed to cause a fail for all claims submitted. Both a rep and a manager told me that because I used the word "discoloration" instead of "stain" and "lotion" instead of "cosmetics" in my initial description, my claim was denied. After I pointed out that the dictionary defines stain as "discoloration" and the FDA classifies lotion as a cosmetic, she told me I could submit a picture. I did and have not heard back from her. Not that I expected to.

This is a scam. I have filed a complaint with the Attorney General of Florida and have also named the furniture company who pressured me into buying the so-called protection plan. They probably get a kickback as they must have received multiple complaints from past customers through the years. Don't throw away your money!!

Guardian Protection Products, Inc expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Guardian Protection Products was founded in 1977 and is owned by RPM International Inc., which produces specialty coatings and sealants. Guardian offers furniture protection plans in addition to several furniture protection products for consumers.

• Protection plans: Protect your indoor and/or outdoor furniture with a protection plan from Guardian. Their plans cover accidental damage, including rips, heat marks, glass breakage, dirt stains and more.

• Mattress protection: Guardian’s EveryBed mattress protectors prevent liquids and allergens from touching the mattress with their waterproof and breathable barrier. The protectors are machine washable, and they are designed to maximize the comfort and longevity of your mattress.

• Care tips: Learn how to keep your furniture looking and feeling like new by reading Guardian’s extensive care tips resource center. They have information for fabric, leather and wood furniture.

• Care products: Consumers with or without a Guardian protection plan can enjoy the cleaning power of Guardian’s care products. Their lineup includes products for fabric, leather and wood.

• Safer Choice fabric and rug cleaners: Guardian’s Safer Choice line of cleaners is made according to EPA standards and have ingredients that are less harmful to the environment than traditional cleaners.

• Best for: Homeowners who want to protect their new indoor and/or outdoor furniture.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs