3.53/5
Based on 143 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Guardian Protection Products provide furniture protection that covers fabric, leather, wood, mattresses, and more. Their furniture protection products do not contain bleach, other harsh chemicals and work safely on a variety of materials.

We also have Guardian Furniture Care Products to keep your furniture protected and looking new. Call today to learn more!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

564 Guardian Protection Products Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I purchased a chair and Sectional from McDonald's Furniture in May 3 2017. A year later the furniture started to create crackling noise and the armrests started to cave in. So I email to GPP claim service, pictures of the furniture along with the Guardian protection plan document were attached in the email. Note that In addition to my name and address the plan document has invoice number, purchase amount and purchase date on it. After several days I got a call and I was informed that they can't process it without the original receipt. The retailer is no longer open so there is no way to get a reprint of the original receipt. No luck. Finally I decided to to cancel my coverage, Unbelievably they said no to cancel the coverage, They want receipt even for cancelling. It didn't make sense to me.

Just for sake of argument let's say you bought a furniture a year ago, and now the furniture with receipt were stolen or you sold it to someone... And you have a 20 years warranty with Guardian and you wanted all your coverage be canceled and get your prorated premium back. GPP will ask you to fax the stupid receipt or pay the premium for the remaining 19 years even if you do not have the furniture with you. So, in summary GPP wants to avoid any responsibility, uses very pushy sales at the store and tries to find reasons to not repair or replace the furniture should something happen to it. I read reviews that are much worse than this. In conclusion - - Do not even think of buying a coverage from Guardian. Bad customer handling. Bad profit making technique.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Guardian is good to use. I bought their protection plan for my couch. Their reps were fine and they called me back. However, I sat all day waiting for the technician. It took them 9 hours to get here. It would be nice if there is a better time frame and if they could keep in touch when the technicians are gonna be pulling through. Other than that, they did what they were supposed to do and did the work quickly. My couch is fine now and I'm happy.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I purchased a living room full of leather furniture from Furniture City in Fresno, Ca. I also purchased the protection plan from Guardian, however I did not know it was from Guardian until a year later. I never received a copy of the certificate stating terms and conditions and coverage. My recliner got a small tear in it and I called for repair. I was told because I did not call within the 30 days my claim was denied. I explained to them how could I know about that term if I had never received the certificate? They stated they were 'sorry' I never received the Protection Plan but they could not make any exceptions. Someone at Guardian should have sent me a copy but did not so now I am being denied the claim because of someone's incompetence. Very unprofessional!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My theater seats set - Placed a claim for accidental damage that occurred to my furniture and it was denied, and was told it wasn't an accident. WTF. I paid 5k cash for my furniture with protection plan and it's useless. I was also told that I can't make any more claims for my furniture. Furniture was just purchased in May. It's still brand new. I will never purchase from Bob's again and I will also tell everyone I know in person and social media about this incident so they won't purchase from them either.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My cat threw up on my new chair so I called Guardian. When I made the call, it was very good. They were courteous and they hooked me up right away with a contractor to come out and clean it. I heard back within 48 hours. The contractor that came out was from AnythingOUT Stain Removal and her name was Eve. She was absolutely phenomenal. So, it was a very good experience all around. However, I was reading my protection plan and it said that if I use any other cleaning products besides Guardian on there, it could void the warranty for the Guardian. But I didn’t receive any products and I don't know where to purchase Guardian products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guardian Protection Products, Inc?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

They use Double talk to deny claims. “Has to be accident, can’t happen during normal use” while contract says has to be accidental, during normal use. I had Three claims, all contorted by them to receive over the phone denial. This is nothing but a scam, don’t waste your money! Guardian employees, you should be ashamed. Doesn’t anyone regulate these contracts? At the top it should clearly define accidental as Good luck because this must be an accident, not normal use, but during normal use but not BY accident but like by tripping or falling, that kind of accident. That is accidental, got it? Oh and then to summarize: "You’re denied". Again. "I’m sorry your accident was not accidental. I could give you our email to possibly get a refund", prorated OF COURSE. Scam, what was I thinking!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I was hesitant on purchasing this plan but was talked into purchasing because the salesman told me that if anything happened to the chairs it would be covered or table and this plan would be a no brainer. Wrong! My husband did not realize he had paint on his pants and sat down on the chair and now the paint won't come off. I called to get a replacement chair and what a surprise?! They don't cover paint! Anything else they cover but not paint. Not to mentioned when I called, I was on hold for about 15 minutes and then decided to get a callback and I won't lose my place in line and I did not receive a call back for another 45 minutes! Save your money and time!!! Do not buy the plan! It is not worth it!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Buyer Beware: Save your money, time, and headaches and DO NOT purchase the furniture protection from Guardian Protection Products. The furniture salesman will hand you a nice little brochure about everything they supposedly cover, however, only AFTER you sign up and pay for it you will receive four pages of small print from Guardian of everything that is excluded, rendering it basically useless for all intended purposes! I tried to file a basic claim where a toy did some damage to my leather and they denied it! Even though nothing in the terms, conditions, and exclusions document calls this out as an exclusion.

I asked them in writing to show me the exclusion regarding this, as I do not see it listed anywhere in the written documents they gave me. I have not received a response. Additionally, don’t be deceived by their claim of being a BBB accredited business. Go to BBB.com and you will see that out of the 25 reviews they have 24 are negative! Save your time and money and STAY FAR AWAY from this company, and don’t get ripped off like I did! One star is even too high to rate them, but unfortunately, it’s the lowest option…

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My dog urinated on my microfiber sectional couch. Although I have cleaning kit from when I purchased the furniture, I was leery about using it and wanted my couch to be professionally cleaned because I didn't want to stain my couch. I talked to Guardian since I have a furniture protection plan on it. Their customer service was great and very thorough. She asked me questions and said that she would get somebody out. She then suggested that I spray Febreze to keep the smell out and told me not to clean the couch. Within three days, I had someone on my house to clean it. They shampooed it and managed to get the stain and the smell out.

I thought things would be difficult and that it was a one-time deal and I wouldn't be covered because my little Pomeranian, who likes to pee on my furniture, did this last year. Guardian shampooed another part for that. But I was very happy that they came back for a second time. Overall, this was one of the easiest customer service experiences that I've had.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

One of the legs broke on my fabric face lounge chair and it was turned on its side. Then, my dog walked up to it and urinated on it. The Guardian rep that I talked to was absolutely wonderful and understanding. She confirmed that we were covered for it and that they'd get on it right away. And indeed, somebody called right away. Then, the man who came was really nice. He seemed to have done a good job, but the smell was not removed from my furniture. There was also a time when our couch arrived with one of the side panels a little marked up and ripped. Guardian replaced it for us. So other than the smell on my couch, Guardian was very good.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Our daughter left the couch and we had a putty stuck on there. I’m glad we got Guardian Protection. Once we submitted the request, their rep came out within the next couple days. We also have a little bottle of cleaning kit. My husband tried to use it if there was a little marks but it didn’t get out things, then we’d normally call the Guardian number. It’s not a high chemical product but it can serve its purpose as a little cleaner. Overall, having Guardian Protection is definitely worth it.

Original review: July 31, 2018

When we got the couch from Levin, we purchased the Guardian Protection warranty and what they told me was that any time we needed the couch cleaned if there was a stain we couldn’t get out, that we could call the warranty number and they would come out. And if they couldn’t get the stain out, then they would replace the cushion. We had an ink stain and a blood stain on the couch. My husband talked to Guardian Protection reps and the experience was fine, although he wasn’t aware that nowhere in our agreement does it say that we have to call within 30 days of the stain. So, when he first talked to the rep, she said it didn’t matter what the date was of the stain. And then after he told her when the stains happened, she said, “Oh, we’ll only come and take the blood stain out because that’s the one that’s happened within 30 days.” So, that was a bit frustrating.

She showed my husband a copy of the warranty and the warranty that she had was different than the one that I had seen originally three years ago when we bought the couch. It didn’t say anything about replacing cushions. It’s just that they will come and remove the stain. The technician came out three days from when my husband called, which wasn’t bad, and he cleaned the couch well and got the stain off. So, that was good. When we purchased the warranty, the only thing that I got was the protection spray that we could spray on the couch. But when we called to have the couch cleaned, they mailed us a stain removing kit. So far, our overall experience was good. The person who came and cleaned was efficient and did a good job. It's worth it to have the Guardian Protection plan.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I have the Goof Proof Plan from Guardian Protection. When my cat threw up on the sectional, I requested for a service call. The experience was very easy. They just asked me where the stain was, what kind of stain, and when it happened, then told me that they would schedule someone to come, take a look and clean it, but if it’s not cleanable, they would replace it. Since I wasn't available on the earlier day that they gave me, we scheduled for the next day and it was perfect. The guy who came was very quick, nice and personable. It was comfortable having a stranger in the house for five minutes. Overall, my five-year protection plan from Guardian is good. If something like this happens again, it’s not that bad of a process to get the sectional cleaned if I wanted to as it keeps the couch looking new.

Original review: July 27, 2018

We have an infant and he's four months old now. He spits up on the couch pretty regularly. We have the liquid cleaner and use that when it's manageable. But at a particular time, it wasn't, and so my wife called Guardian. We have a Goof Proof Protection Plan from Guardian Protection Products and she explained that we needed it and have someone come out. The people that came out were professional and quickly cleaned the area. We paid $150 and it was worth it. What we used Guardian for, it was for a simple matter. I'm sure it will be worth it in the future if something else happens as well. It was explained to me that we get one replacement claim. So if a whole cushion needed to be replaced, they couldn't be cleaned, or if the whole part of something couldn't be taken out, then we would get one claim in that regard. Overall, we're satisfied and would tell other people to use Guardian as there wouldn't be a reason not to, especially if they have kids.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I purchased Indoor Furniture Protection from Guardian Protection Products. I called them for a service request for there was a stain on my area rug. The customer service rep was good. A dispatch was sent to my home in a timely manner. However, like I thought they were gonna treat or shampoo the entire rug, but when the person came to do it, he was instructed a few dimensions in the rug that I never told the rep when I called so he was just there to do a spot treatment. Nevertheless, this protection plan has met my expectations. On the other hand, I received a cleaning kit with the purchase of my furniture protection plan and I only used it to clean my sectional sofa and it seemed to work well.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I got Guardian Protection Plan for a bed that I purchased and for a sofa. I called them before for a cleanup because the small dog that we recently had peed on a corner of the sofa. They came within a few days of the request, worked fast and it was really up to my expectations. I’m really happy I had it. It’s very convenient because I have kids and sometimes, they spill things and I just give them a call and they clean it up. It was an excellent experience, overall.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Guardian Protection Products is the worst. I am amazed that this is what I pay the coverage for. I told them that my dogs peed at the furniture, so I called them. But it was a huge wait. When I tried to call to make an appointment, I was on the phone barely. I put my phone on speaker phone and it got to the point where it said that there was such a long waiting line that I could leave my phone number. So, I left my phone number. They must have called me at 10 o’clock that night, which I didn’t hear.

The next morning, I saw something on my phone and I didn’t know it was them. I called them again, stayed on hold and finally got someone to make the appointment. She said that the guy will call me to make the appointment. The guy was really quick. He called me right away and he even wanted to come out that same day. I said that we weren't home yet and I asked if he can come out on Saturday. He said yes and that he’ll be there. He was punctual and he was in the timeframe he gave us.

He came out in his own personal car and dressed in regular clothes. He didn’t show me any I.D. but said that he was there to do two cushions. Not one thing on him indicated who he was and he came in with a little Bissell, a hand-held thing to clean your carpet with, which I own myself. His was a little bit bigger and he asked if he could come in. He wanted me to fill the water and I gave him water. My husband pointed to him and he said that he was only supposed to be doing two spots. My husband didn’t know when I called it in and that they told me to tell them exactly what cushion. My husband said that we have older dogs and they went across all three cushions, so I told my husband that I only told them two. My husband pointed him to two major ones and asked him to do those two. He just did two cushions but it was soaking wet and thank God that I didn’t have our party the next day because we couldn’t even sit on them.

He was there for less than five minutes. I said that I could have done it with my own hand-held machine. My couches were soaked and he left. He did it quickly and he didn’t even pull it back to get the excess water out. He never dumped the dirty water out and he went on to the next house. It was disgusting and very unprofessional. He had a soccer shirt on and there was not one thing on him that showed his business. He didn’t have their shirt with their logo on it. This was the first time I ever bought the warranty. I told my husband that I’m not doing it again. I was so aggravated

They gave me a kit back at the store and we’ve tried that but, unfortunately, I have older dogs that are going to this stage that they can’t hold it so I’m getting them leaking constantly. I’ve tried them but the urine is taking over. I would tell my friends to absolutely not go with Guardian. I was very disappointed in the whole process. Guardian should be having their workers show I.D. If my husband wasn’t home, I would not let the guy in. They need to have their employees have some type of logo on their shirt showing where they’re from. They also should not use a hand-held Bissell. There’s gotta be something better.

Original review: July 11, 2018

My nephew had thrown up all over the couch and when we called Guardian, they were horrendous. Between them and the place we bought the furniture from, I don't know who was worse. Our plan with Guardian was not registered when we bought the furniture. The first person I finally talked to was supposed to put my information in. I was told somebody would call me in a day or two but they forgot to put my information in. So the next person that I talked to was rude and mad at me because I was mad at whoever did the other call. I just went back and forth. The service technician was fine but it took Guardian over three weeks to get my stuff cleaned.

Original review: July 10, 2018

My husband bought a recliner and it had broken twice. When Guardian brought the first person, the guy fixed the recliner in about five minutes. But the second person was great. Brendan is a consultant that Guardian calls and he fixed the recliner like it should have been fixed. He did a tremendous job.

Original review: July 9, 2018

The Guardian protection plan is worth your investment if you've got kids. We had a bloody nose situation on our couch and filing the request with Guardian for that was quick and easy. The technician was dispatched a couple of days before we were moving so the situation felt unfair. But it was totally reasonable. They did offer to have it happen within a week. The service just couldn't happen because of our move.

Original review: July 8, 2018

We purchased the fabric protection plan from Guardian Protection Products. It was the option that was given to us from the retailer Bath & Beyond when we purchased the chair. They said that they highly recommend it and told us to get it. We had an accident and our baby vomited on the chair that we had purchased, so Guardian came and fixed it. However, the most stressful part of filing a request was getting them on the phone. When we called, someone answered right away and we went to the automated system.

After I told that I wanted a new claim, someone answered after a few minutes saying, "Do you have a new claim?" I said yes but then I was put on hold for about an hour, and over an hour on the second time. They had an option to put my number in queue and an automated system put my number in queue and they called me back when it was my turn. I appreciated that, but it was odd to me that someone could answer the phone and confirm that I have a new claim to file but did not take my claim.

The reps were friendly and they were trying to get my process filed via email. They asked for information like my plan number, policy number, and proof purchase, but they couldn't find me in their system. But after that, they called me back and it was smooth sailing. It didn't take too long for the gentleman to come. But getting the claim started was a little hectic and I wished they would have answered their phone quicker. They called me back 10 minutes before their service closed on a Friday, and I didn't like it. The only thing to make it a much better experience is to have the ability to process the claim sooner and allow me to do it via email.

The people who answered the phone were genuinely helpful in trying to get my claim processed faster and the one guy who came was excellent and very helpful. He was very kind, he worked fast and he answered questions that we had about the product that he was using. He was wonderful. It was in our baby's room so we wanted to make sure that anything we're using there is non-toxic and eco-friendly. I would definitely recommend Guardian Protection Plan and I will purchase it again if I needed to. I would also tell my friends to get it. Guardian took care of the problem and it was a reasonable warranty to get, considering that our purpose was for a child where accidents are going to happen on furniture.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Guardian was 50 bucks and the people at the store said that if our chair gets a stain and it can't come out, they'd replace the thing. However, my experience with their CS was super annoying at first because I let the phone ring for an hour before I finally pushed the button to request a callback. It was during my kid's nap time and I figured if I request a callback, they'll call when my kids are awake so I thought, "Oh, I'll just stay on the line." I waited on for an hour and I was like, "Is this place a joke?" I looked them up online and they don't have great reviews. They called back but it took a little while, which is fine. Although I assumed that they would have more representatives than they did answering phone calls.

The tech came on a Monday and I called Guardian Thursday so it didn't take a while. A lady called me to schedule whoever they used to clean that afternoon. The lady told me from 12 NN to 2 PM and she said he'll probably be closer to 1 PM. The tech was there early, which was at 11:50 AM but it was fine. I wasn't at home yet, but he called and was patient, and we were five minutes away. I'm planning to call them back because I don't think the stain came all the way out. The technician told me to call them back if it doesn't come out. I just haven't had the time to with the holiday. Getting in touch with them was a little difficult, but the experience was okay. Just save all the documentation because you have to have all of that. Like a receipt, when you purchase the product and when it was delivered. You have to have all of that information for your claim to be processed.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I purchased Guardian Protection's Goof Proof Plan through Bob’s Furniture. With the plan, I got a cleaning kit that includes a little bottle for wood and a bottle for fabric. I’m almost out of the fabric one. It seems to be working really well and I like it. When my daughter peed on the couch, I called Guardian and it was crappy because I had to wait a full 24 hours to receive a callback. Also, the first person who called back was horrible. I was trying to tell her that I needed to file a claim and she couldn’t find me in the system. She told me she couldn't help me and that I needed to call Bob’s Furniture to tell them to register my account. So, I called Bob’s and they had no idea what I was talking about.

The second lady I talked to told me that she was gonna figure the issue out and she did. Instead of having my first and last name, they had the city and state where I was from. She was very helpful and nice. Then, somebody came out a couple of days later and they were professional. They took care of the couch which was pretty awesome. Now, the couch looks great. Also, what was really cool was that there were no hidden fees and I didn’t have to pay for them to come out. I would recommend Guardian Protection.

Original review: July 5, 2018

My brother-in-law was here and he had an accident on my chair and I called Guardian Protection Products to file a request. My experience with their customer service rep was very good and the tech handled the request in a very timely manner. I go to dialysis and I had to work it out on a day that the technician could come and I could be here, so he was here in about four days. Guardian Protection Products is a very good company, and people should take a Guardian plan out on their furniture.

Original review: July 4, 2018

We had the Guardian coverage for stains and everything that happens to our indoor recliner. I filed a service request because it got dirty. We sprayed on it and it did not cover it. Still, the warranty took care of it. The whole process of submitting the service request was very easy and awesome, one of the easiest claims that I have done. The reps helped me every step of the way. The next available tech was a week and a half later, which was still reasonable to me. I'll tell others to buy Guardian. Keep up the great work.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I have a Guardian Protection plan for my apartment sofa and chair and it was sold to me through La-Z-Boy. I’ve had a couple of claims with them before and the dispatch call came within 72 hours. However, it takes all day on the phone to get through to a human. If you wait on hold, it’ll take 45 minutes or more. I'd end up doing the callback and it takes them until the end of the day to call me back. The local company that they send out is fine and the gentleman that comes out is very friendly and nice. I had a stain recently and I've had to follow up several times because the stain hasn't come out. I requested a cleaning kit but they won’t give me one. I can’t seem to get any follow through on that and I'm going on two months of no responses.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 29, 2018

We purchased the warranty for our leather couch so it would be covered for 5 years. Well a year and half later and the couch is ripping on the side. I call in a claim on the couch and it is denied because of it being normal wear. This company is a complete sham. Please do not buy their product. It is a complete joke. If people do not buy their product they will go out of business.

Original review: June 24, 2018

When we purchased a plan from Guardian, we got shafted big time. We were told that if anything happens to any part of the couch in five years, they will come out and fix it. And if they can't, they will replace it. We had a dog that we were watching and it urinated through the cushions of our couch so much so that it leaked right through the cushions onto the floor. I called to get this taken care of but their rep said that all they cover is the fabric and not the cushion itself.

Paying for the service is completely pointless because it doesn't cover the cushion. Now, I'm in a situation where either I spend more money to replace the cushion or I have to get a new couch, and that's a waste of my money for this plan. So, we are very disappointed. The technician did his job by cleaning out the fabric which was what he was obligated to do, but the company didn't. Either Guardian and Bob's aren't communicating well with each other or somebody's not talking to their customers properly. In the end, no matter how you slice it, we were misled initially.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My girlfriend has Alzheimer's and she might have an accident so I purchased a four-year furniture protection plan from Guardian, the one that included cleaning if something gets dirty. I was also given some stuff to clean the furniture if there's a spill. I followed the instructions but I couldn't get the spill out. I don't think that stuff was strong enough. So I called and a guy came in a couple of days, and got it right out. He did a good job.

Original review: June 22, 2018

My girlfriend spilled juice on the couch and there was a huge stain on it. She handled the initial conversation with Guardian and then I took over when it got to scheduling the appointment. She told me that it was a time consuming process to get to someone who could actually schedule the appointment. And then she missed their call back and she had to basically restart the process. So she was on the phone with them for at least a good 30 or 40 minutes. Guardian said the first available that they had was about a week out from when we called. And the next available after that was three or four days after that.

I wasn't really concerned about that timing aspect of it. The part that I didn't like about it was essentially the way it was presented. They said they have an opening on a certain day and the time slot would be from 12:00 to 5:00. The time slot is a little bit difficult for people that work. Luckily, I was able to work from home for a couple of hours that day. But I would suggest a more narrow time slot of about two or three hours.

The technician was really friendly and he did a good job. Most of the stain is out, but there's a couple of tiny spots that I can still see from the spill. That's because they just hit the main stain spot and they do not clean the entire cushion. So the warranty does cover not general cleaning, and it's just pretty much the stain that the warranty covers. I didn't love the experience, but they got the job done.

Guardian Protection Products, Inc expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Guardian Protection Products was founded in 1977 and is owned by RPM International Inc., which produces specialty coatings and sealants. Guardian offers furniture protection plans in addition to several furniture protection products for consumers.

• Protection plans: Protect your indoor and/or outdoor furniture with a protection plan from Guardian. Their plans cover accidental damage, including rips, heat marks, glass breakage, dirt stains and more.

• Mattress protection: Guardian’s EveryBed mattress protectors prevent liquids and allergens from touching the mattress with their waterproof and breathable barrier. The protectors are machine washable, and they are designed to maximize the comfort and longevity of your mattress.

• Care tips: Learn how to keep your furniture looking and feeling like new by reading Guardian’s extensive care tips resource center. They have information for fabric, leather and wood furniture.

• Care products: Consumers with or without a Guardian protection plan can enjoy the cleaning power of Guardian’s care products. Their lineup includes products for fabric, leather and wood.

• Safer Choice fabric and rug cleaners: Guardian’s Safer Choice line of cleaners is made according to EPA standards and have ingredients that are less harmful to the environment than traditional cleaners.

• Best for: Homeowners who want to protect their new indoor and/or outdoor furniture.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

NC
1(800)527-8485
www.guardianproducts.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business