Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 2 stars1
  • 1 stars0

​Here is what the experts are saying about Simplicity Sofas:

Erin Verbeck, author of the NY Times best-seller “The Joy of Marketing” --

"Simplicity Sofas is a top notch company with incredible customer service. You'll be hard pressed to find a company who will go so far to make sure you're satisfied with your purchase."

Shep Hyken, best-selling author of "The Amazement Revolution”

"Amazing! Wish I would have known about you as I was writing my last book. Simplicity Sofas would have been a perfect role model. The world can learn a lot by examples set by the best of the best.”

Abe Abbas, editor of the About.com furniture blog (and a Simplicity Sofas customer) --

"First of all, I would like to say that the entire furniture industry should learn from your company. This level of customer service just makes for a great over-all experience for the customer. Being in the furniture industry, I wish the entire industry could provide the customer service and care that Simplicity Sofa does."

Ray Allegrezza, former editor-in-chief of the furniture industry's leading trade publication "Furniture Today" (in response to a press release announcing that Simplicity Sofas had been awarded a $20,000 Grand Prize in a nationwide competition for America's Most Innovative Small Business) -- "Who the heck are you guys?"

William Shatner, during a 2013 interview with Simplicity Sofas owner Jeff Frank --

"Simplicity Sofas boldly goes where no furniture has gone before."

Simplicity Sofas are high quality, custom-built sofas with the added bonus of allowing you to disassemble them. This allows customers to move them into rooms which are only accessible through narrow doorways or staircases. Quality of Product: I can say with confidence that this sofa looks and feels like a first rate sofa. It is an engineering marvel. Even if the sofa was a regular sofa which could not be disassembled, I would say it is still worth every penny.

I purchased the full-sized Brandon sofa with custom black, cotton fabric and I have received numerous compliments from people who have seen and sat on the sofa. They claim that their cushions should last 20 years. I have only had my sofa a few months, so I cannot speak to this. However, the warranties they offer for their sofa speak to the confidence they have in their product. They even offer to replace the cushion filling if you are unsatisfied with the firmness of the product they built for you. I have had the sofa for a few months now and had the chance to break it in, and it is firm but comfortable. I am quite pleased. I was slightly reluctant to order a sofa which I had not tried out on a display floor, but my gamble paid off. And as mentioned, they offer to switch the cushion filling for free if you are not happy with the firmness level. Jeff was able to explain the differences between the three types he offers, and I selected the right one on the first try.

Customer Service: Here is where I can say this company is like no other--unsurpassed customer service. I can say with confidence that I was truly surprised by the distance that this company goes to ensure its customers are happy and satisfied. I have recommended this sofa enthusiastically to friends. I had many questions and requirements for a sofa. I emailed back and forth with Jeff many times with a series questions, and he always responded promptly--usually within hours--with honest and detailed answers.

I don't think most companies would have the patience to answer customers like myself who had so many questions. It is clear that Jeff loves his business, and it is a labor of love for him. When I could not find a fabric which I liked from the available selections, he located what I wanted. He priced several different options from fabrics which needed to be custom-ordered. I enthusiastically recommend this sofa. I wish my review could do this more justice. All I can say is that I rarely write reviews, but the customer service of this company is so unbelievable, that I felt it would be wrong not to write about them.

In 2011 we purchased a restored victorian home. We soon discovered that one room in particular had a door width opening of only 27"! Needless to say, none of our upholstered furniture even came close to going through the narrow door opening. That's when we discovered Simplicity Sofas. Their furniture, designed to fit through narrow openings like ours, is great. It went together very easily. Felt sturdy and still does today, five years later.

I recently contacted them because when we had purchased our sofa, we had chosen the standard seat cushions. They carry a 3 year warranty, but after 5 years, they were beginning to feel too soft and not provide enough support. I called to discuss this and find out if I could purchase better cushions to replace them and if the new inserts would fit my current cushion covers. I talked to Jeff, the owner, and he said they would replace my cushions with new ones that carry a life-time guarantee and they would do it for FREE! I was astonished!

In the end, they also sent new back cushion inserts, and my new seat cushions came with new covers because the new inserts were a little thicker than the standard ones that came with it in 2011. Jeff even found the exact fabric to make them, even though that fabric was no longer available as a choice for a new purchase. I received prompt emails of shipping and the experience was astounding! What company does all that for free? The workmanship of their products and their customer service are all excellent! I would recommend doing business with Simplicity Sofas to anyone! They are a company that really cares about their customers and make a superior product! Love my sofa!

I wanted to get a whole new sofa bed for the apartment because I had a sofa bed and a part of the bed broke and the sofa was getting worn out. It's a small apartment and I wanted to just get a whole new sofa bed, and Simplicity Sofa with the pullout is not hard to get in and out. Having the free swatches made the online purchase easier for me. Customer service is incredible. I would send them an email on a Sunday to ask a question about delivery and they answered it on the same morning. It took them six weeks from the purchase until the furniture arrived and it's easy to put together and has a good quality. It's an excellent product.

I’m very happy with my sleeper sofa from Simplicity. I bought it online for a new home. Their customer service reps were very good and very helpful. We did have one issue with delivery and they helped put that out quickly. The delivery was not optimal in that they had assembled the sofa for us prior to delivery, which was not what we wanted. But overall, my experience with this company was very positive.

We didn't like the previous furniture we had so we purchased a love seat and two power recliners from Simplicity Sofas. They were very expensive but we still bought them because these were lighter, well-made, had the right size and fit our needs perfectly, since we live in an RV. Their sales rep was very nice, helpful and knowledgeable. She showed plenty of swatches and told us all the different options and things that could be added. We brought our home to them and they installed the items right there at the factory. The items are of very good quality. We were happy with the timeline of four weeks between purchase and installation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Simplicity Sofas?

I got a sectional sofa from Simplicity Sofas and I love it. Their customer service was excellent and the delivery was very fast.

Simplicity Sofas

This is the reason Simplicity Sofas contacts every customer shortly after they receive our furniture to specifically ask how they like our furniture and whether there are any problems that need to be addressed.

Comfort is very personal. Some people prefer firm cushions. Others like them softer. Large people have different requirements from those who are smaller. There are many adjustments we can make even after the furniture is in the customer's home.

People who purchase furniture usually expect to have their complaints ignored. Warranties contain language that absolves the retailer of responsibility of doing anything for problems of this nature.

Simplicity Sofas is different. Now that we are aware that this customer is not completely satisfied with our furniture we will be reaching out to her.

We may need to replace the cushions or even make special cushions. We may need to send different height legs. We may need to do something else. There are many different possible adjustments depending upon personal preferences and the specific reasons for the complaint.

Today I will be reaching out to this customer to begin the process of making our furniture fit her personal "comfort" requirements.

This customer has owned our furniture for about 6 months. The amount of time does not matter. We expect our furniture to last for 20 years or more. When one of our customers comes to us with a problem we try to fix that problem, no matter how long they have owned our furniture.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

I purchased a sectional from Simplicity Sofas and it was satisfactory. Their customer service team has good follow-through. It took the whole process, from purchase to delivery, two weeks to complete. However, it didn’t meet my expectations because the couch was fairly uncomfortable. The service was fine but I don’t like the product.

I ordered a sleeper sectional. I am happy with it. It was easy to put together and when we were confused they assisted my boyfriend over the phone. We have received many compliments on the couch and have referred others to the website.

The sofa we got from Simplicity Sofas is pretty high quality and exactly what we wanted. It's the most expensive thing we've ever bought but it was worth it. Their customer service team was great and really helpful before and after the order. It was delivered roughly a month after we ordered. It's a little longer than we'd have liked to wait but it's a custom sofa and we wanted it so it was all right. I was worried when arranging for the final delivery because we live in an apartment building and shippers are finicky about how they deliver here but there weren't any issues.

Simplicity Sofas

It is not unusual for our customers (like this one) to comment that our furniture is "pricier" than other similar looking furniture.

Much of the quality that goes into our furniture cannot be seen. This includes solid oak frames (compared with plywood.) We use 2.4 density foam cushions backed by an unlimited lifetime warranty compared with 1.8 - 2.0 density cushions backed by "limited" 1-3 year warranties. Our furniture is hand-crafted one piece at a time compared with assembly-line production methods.

Each of our sofas typically weighs 20 - 30 lbs. more than similar looking "mass produced" furniture. Another "hidden" factor that adds cost to our furniture is the modular design utilizing interchangeable components.

Modular construction is a more expensive way to build furniture, but allows us to easily replace damaged parts (arms, backs,bases, cushion covers and inserts) without the need for expensive professional repair services. This ability greatly increases the expected lifespan of our furniture.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

We were remodeling a room so I searched for assembled sofas on the internet. I found Simplicity Sofas and got a sleeper sofa from them. Before purchasing, I called them when I had a question about the swatches and when I had a question about the shipping timeline, and I was able to reach someone and got my questions answered easily. The sofa was a little pricier but I really wanted a few ones on the market that offer situations where one has a narrow entry way. They’re serving a great need so it was worth a little bit of a higher cost to get that flexibility. Their delivery team was good and were efficient in setting the furniture up. Whatever they said the timeline was in advance was what it turned out to be. And though I have not had the opportunity to use the sleeper portion yet, the sofa is fine so far.

I really wanted to do business with Simplicity Sofas right up front reading the reviews they had. It was very easy making the purchase online. The sofa is not dirt cheap, which I don’t expect from a good piece of furniture. It was fairly priced. They were very accommodating. They bent over backwards to answer questions and also sent sample swatches. Delivery went perfectly. The sofa was sent to my husband’s office building then we brought it down from there. It's easily transportable and very comfortable, too. A child drew on the fabric but I was able to get that out. The sofa's easy to clean. The size is good for small areas and it's put together well. I love it as well as the people that work at Simplicity Sofas. I had a very pleasant out-of-body experience with them and I couldn’t be happier. If I needed another piece of furniture, I'd definitely go back to them. I felt that I was well taken care of by Simplicity Sofas. I hope they succeed.

I was googling for small space sofas and found Simplicity Sofas. The furniture we purchased from them is great. It works for our space. Their customer service team was very prompt about responding to my emails and they sent me lots and lots of samples. They were always above and beyond in making sure to answer my questions.

Simplicity Sofas

Simplicity Sofas offers a selection of over 200 fabrics. The vast majority are "heavy-duty" and highly stain-resistant. Customers who prefer more "delicate" fabrics or fabrics with patterns typically purchase their own COM (Customer's Own Material) fabrics. That is usually not a problem for us.

This customer also mentioned that she did not like the design of the furniture's back. We specialize in Furniture for Small Spaces. Part of that specialty is that our sofas and sectionals ship unassembled and have a smaller overall depth than other furniture.

Our patented back design allows us to achieve these special features without reducing the size (and comfort) of the cushions. The back does look "different" than conventional furniture when viewed from behind. (It does not look different when viewed from the front.)

99% of our customers have no problem with this "different" look. Nothing is "taped together."

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

The saleswoman at Simplicity Sofas was terrific. She was very informative and helpful, and answered all my questions. However, I am not too happy with the quality of the sofa I bought. I'm not comfortable with the actual construction and don’t like the design of the furniture's backside so much. It's not a flowing back and it looks like it's taped together. I told the saleswoman of my concern the last time I was there. I was also not real impressed with their fabric so I purchased my fabric in another store and took it to them.

Delivery took a little over a month. The delivery guy brought the furniture in piece by piece and set it up. He had to come back two times because there were problems with the sofa. The color of the hinges were wrong and obvious because they were of a dark color and my fabric was a light one. The delivery guy had to come back with hinges of a lighter color. He had to come back a third time because when I was moving the chair, a hinge came off and I couldn’t get it back together. I was also told that if it happened again, they would take the whole chair back to the factory and redo it. Every time I called Simplicity Sofas, they had somebody come the next day, and they were very helpful.

Online ordering was easy. Any question answered promptly.

Simplicity Sofas customer service is great. Haven't utilized the mattress yet but I needed something that would fold out. We had to do two different orders because the springs and some of the bolts were messed up on the first order. But the owner took care of it and shipped out another one. The experience is good and I appreciate it.

Simplicity Sofas

Thank you for the kind comments, however it appears that we are not yet finished. Your new Simplicity Sofas furniture will be around for a long time and it is very important to us that you be completely happy with it.

Cushions are very personal items. They can feel very different to different people. That feeling can also change over time. A cushion that felt great in the store may not feel as good one year later.

You purchased our 2.4 density Ultracel foam cushions. These are our "firmest" cushions. They are backed by a lifetime warranty and are designed to hold up for 15+ years.

We do not want you to be uncomfortable for 15+ years.

We will be happy to send you a set of our "softer" spring down cushion inserts. These will fit inside your existing cushion covers. We make the covers with extra-wide zippers so that they are easy for our customers to change out just in case of situations like this.

There is no charge for sending out the new spring down cushion inserts.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

I was looking for a sofa that could be taken into an attic and found Simplicity Sofas on the web. They have very high quality product. Their CS team is very helpful in figuring out what fabrics we wanted and were not trying to oversell items that we didn’t need. They asked us the kind of family we had, how old they were, what kind of messes they made and what the most cost effective fabric would be. They worked with us and we were able to get the sofa bed at our price range and we could also very easily get it up into an attic space that works very nicely.

We have a finished attic and it looks really nice up there. It's not a sink down in the middle of the sofa type of thing, but is comfortable, resistant and was very easy to put together because it comes in pieces and that’s the whole idea - to get the pieces upstairs and put it back together. The whole buying experience was good for me. If I'd buy one again I'd like to sit in for a while to figure out what kind of cushion I want or if it was more comfortable.

A truly amazing company with excellent customer service!! The quality and craftsmanship of their furniture far exceeds anything on the market today. Well worth the money, you will not be disappointed!

I'm very happy with my experience with Simplicity Sofas. Everything seems to be very well made and holding up well, so far. In addition, I corresponded with the owner via email because I had some specific questions about the sofa and they were very quick to respond and very good about communication.

I love the quality of our furniture purchased from Simplicity Sofas. Though we don't use it a whole lot, we’ve had a pretty good experience with it. We're really happy with it and have no complaints. Their customer service team was also really good. They were easy to work with.

I love the furniture I bought from Simplicity. I bought from another well-known brand but Simplicity’s quality is even better. I was very pleased with the look and the feel of it. They did the assembly for us on site and did a fantastic job - very clean, so nothing to complain about. Their customer service team was also very responsive. They’re returning emails on the spot. I won’t hesitate to buy from them again if I have to.

Simplicity Sofas' quality products were beautiful. The gentleman that owns the company is so available and their policies are so great. It's very unusual to deal with a manufacturer who is so strongly supportive of his product. He feels so confident of his product and it's a very different experience than I've ever had in purchasing not only furniture, but any products that service is outstanding. Their customer service is beyond exceptional. They follow up to find out how we felt about our experience and how we liked their product. I totally compliment them on doing an outstanding job in their marketing and delivery of an excellent product. Very easy to put together and it's top quality.

It’s always been great with Simplicity Sofas. It’s a locally owned business and I can get a human who owns the business on the phone when I call. The furniture that I purchased has a very high quality.

The customer service team of Simplicity Sofas was really good, extremely helpful, and very informative. The quality of the furniture that I purchased from them was excellent. The sofa also came in pieces and it was super easy to put together. I have recommended Simplicity Sofas to others.

The customer service at Simplicity Sofas was excellent. Our purchase wasn’t delivered on time but they refunded me for the shipping. So far, the quality of my purchase is good. I’ve only used it four times, but everything’s been fine and it’s worked great. It was a wonderful experience.

The reps from Simplicity Sofas were very helpful. We got exactly what we ordered and we're very happy with it so far. It's very good quality.

I was looking for a sturdy piece of furniture that was made in the USA that could be an heirloom piece. I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a sofa that I couldn’t pass down to my kids or that wasn’t going to last. But Simplicity Sofas was something that’s going to last. Their quality is excellent. I spent a lot of money on a couch and I got a big one, too and it's awesome. The reps were also very patient and answered every single one of my questions. They were fantastic and that’s exactly what I wanted.

We were looking for a piece of furniture made in the United States so we researched about Simplicity Sofas. Working on site with their team was a fantastic exchange. They’re very knowledgeable, friendly, informative and very relaxed. The sofa we purchased has exceptionally great quality. They're above and more compared to the other furniture we've purchased in the past.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Simplicity Sofas sells quality sofas, loveseats, chairs and ottomans designed to fit in small spaces and through small entryways, doors and hallways. The company opened its first factory in 2007 in North Carolina. Since then, the company has outgrown its first factory and now operates a larger factory near the same location.

• Easy to assemble: To fit through tight spaces, Simplicity Sofa’s products arrive to consumers ready-to-assemble (RTA). The products can be assembled quickly by a single person. Interested consumers can visit the company’s website to watch a video of a young child assembling a sofa in less than 5 minutes.
  • American made: All Simplicity Sofas are manufactured in the company’s factory in High Point, NC. Each piece is produced by hand without mass production techniques, making the products higher quality than other RTA pieces.
  • Customer service: Simplicity Sofa prides itself on its customer service. The company’s founder worked with a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping customers resolve problems, and he put his experiences there into Simplicity Sofas’ customer service philosophy.
  • Warranties: All Simplicity Sofas products come with an unlimited lifetime warranty on the solid oak frame and a 30-day money-back guarantee if the customer is unsatisfied with the product. Also, all of their cushions have unlimited lifetime warranties.
  • Direct sales: Consumers purchase Simplicity Sofas’ directly from the manufacturer. This direct-to-consumer approach helps keep the costs lower than products sold by third-party retailers. This system also makes it possible for the company to manufacture all of its products in the United States.
  • Best for Simplicity Sofas is best for all buyers who want quality furniture but have to fit it through small doors, hallways and entrances.

Simplicity Sofas Company Profile