Dyson Vacuums

Compare Vacuums

Research top Vacuums recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Dyson v6 Absolute - Right out of the box, the unit did not work. I plugged in the charger and saw no indicator light. Unit would not charge. Called Dyson and got "unusually high call volume". Gave up after about 20 minutes. Called back the next morning (from work) and actually talked to someone but they could not help me because the unit was not right in front of me. Called back from home, with the unit in front of me and I got "Dyson is not taking any calls right now". Called back this morning and got "unusually high call volume". Gave up and tried email. Supposed to be a response within 2 hours. Got no response at all. I am finished with Dyson.

Having owned a Dyson for well over a year now I feel very qualified to write an objective review. Vacuum loses suction after a couple months use. THE HAND-HELD WAND DEVICE IS VERY NEARLY UNUSABLE BY DESIGN. EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO USE. WORST DESIGN I COULD IMAGINE. I will never purchase another Dyson product in my life. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

After going through many innovative vacuum cleaners over fifty years we chose Dyson when the revolutionary DC1 came out in the eighties and have been totally satisfied with the marque ever since, leading up to our latest wonderful experience. We bought our latest DC25 three years ago, and are very pleased with it, but last week we noticed the brush wouldn't rotate. Thinking it was out of warranty & was probably a worn drive belt I bought a new belt off eBay, but it made no difference, it worked fine with no load but put it to work on carpet & it stopped.

So I rang Dyson Customer Support, talked it through with a nice lady who checked my record, and she concluded the drive motor was just not performing. She ordered me a new complete head, including the bottom housing, brush & drive motor. It just clicks off & the new one clicks on. It arrived two days later, I changed it in thirty seconds & hey presto, good as new. Customer Service was AA11+++, and it confirmed our loyalty was well rewarded.

Crummy. Owned my Dyson for about three years. Worked OK the first few times, then, not so much. Easily clogged (no pets, but long hair). Wouldn't even pick up a CANDY WRAPPER (small little corner piece) - ended up having to pick up any odd little bit of detritus before I even vacuumed, this thing simply wouldn't pick anything but dust and lint up. The hose attachment part NEVER WORKED. You shouldn't have to pick up detritus by hand before you vacuum and you shouldn't have to take the thing apart every other time. Not worth the hype or high price tag. Just ordered an Electrolux. Very plastic-y and cheap feeling, like has been stated.

Terrible online service. I ordered online and an order confirmation email was sent. Three weeks went by and I didn't receive anything. I spoke with three representatives. One said my credit card was being verified, the other said the item was on its way and assured me it would be there by Friday. The last one said it will be sent out in the morning with Purolator and gave me a tracking number. The tracking number was invalid. I emailed customer service and received a response stating the item is out of stock and would be shipped when I'm stock. I just need a vacuum. I would of bought it from a store if I knew it would take a month. It's ridiculous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Ordered 3 items back in October 25th. Called multiple times after waiting for approx 20 minutes each time. Each customer service rep assures me my items are on the way via purolator. Tracking number **. I have also been told my package is there in the shipping department, but the package is not getting to the purolator truck for delivery.

This is disgusting service. I am very disappointed that today is now november 14th and still nothing has been shipped out to purolator. Is there someone other than the lies that the customer service department advises the callers that can help me please. Is there anyway I can call shipping directly to beg them to give my order to the purolator delivery person? Is there anybody at all there in the Dyson support that can look into this for me? I have not vacuumed now for going on more than 3 weeks. I'm disgusted and disappointed in the service I have NOT RECEIVED FROM dyson and I will be passing this message on to my neighbours.

Brand new dc50 never did work. Terrible vacuum! Wouldn't pick up anything and the spinning action only worked some of the time. A waste of a lot of money! Will never purchase Dyson again! Not a recommended product.

If you are in Canada and want to get any Dyson product, buy it from a store. Best to leave Dyson. ca alone. This must be the most dysfunctional and disorganised outfit on the Internet. Took 2 months to get a refund back from a mistake made by Dyson!

The vacuum only has good suction on high setting and battery life is limited to 15 minutes. There is no indication of remaining battery life. Every time I go to use it the battery runs out and I have to wait 3.5 hours for a recharge.

$500 for a machine held together with plastic pieces that are cheaper quality than the toys at the bottom of a McDonald's kids meal. It's fresh out of the box so I have no performance review yet but I can't imagine that these cheap parts are durable. I feared breaking them just by assembling the unit. Legos are SIGNIFICANTLY stronger. Shocked and disappointed.

I ended up purchasing this model the day my mom's Kenmore canister vac died on us. (We had carpet fresh sprinkled all thru the house and guests were on their way over). A relative told me how "great" this model is and having a dog I thought I'd give it a shot. It was fine for the first several months, then it would make a horrible sound and no suction. Did internet search to locate a fix and ended up calling Dyson cust. service. Very helpful but was talked thru many steps on taking the vacuum apart, clean out areas that needed to be disconnected which are hard to access (and I do have small hands) and a few hours later it was back up and running.

A few months later again with the horrible noise, no suction... Performed all the steps the Cust. Service rep told me months earlier and it did not help. Called Dyson, explained my plight, was told to try a few other things, and that worked. Every few months it is something where I have to stop what I am doing and disassemble it to try and figure out what is clogged or why it is not working. This past July it made a really loud sound and stopped picking up anything. It seems that the air was blowing out the side of the triggerhead instead of sucking up. Once again, took the whole thing apart. There was a slight little clog in 'that' area that is hard to access, put it all together, turned it on and still not fixed.

After mumbling to myself about how much money I wasted on this horrible piece of plastic I called Dyson Cust. Service. Once again explained everything... I even went thru disconnecting sections of the vacuum while on the phone with the woman and nothing worked. Since it is still under warranty she recommended I take it into an authorized service center. The closest repair center is 18 miles away from where I live. The repair was covered and I figured while I was there I would have them also give the machine a good cleaning which I paid for.

So here it is a little over 3 months since the Authorized Repair and machine being cleaned and 3 days ago it has lost all suction again. (Insert baffled smiley face) I took the whole thing apart, there were no clogs anywhere to be found, put it back together and still it is not working. I am so mad at myself for not going to Sears and getting another Kenmore like my mom initially had. She loved that thing and it lasted forever, never had one issue with it. I unfortunately have misplaced the receipt and Bed, Bath & Beyond can only pull receipts up to 1 year back. I do have my credit card statement showing the charge, not sure if there is anything that can be done or not. I am at a loss at this point.

This is not worth the money. I like the concept of the auto adjusting height but the little roller on the head that determines the height gets pet hair and carpet threads wrapped up on it. It can not be removed to clean. It stops rotating and then wears. The entire vacuum head has to be replace. I don't remember the cost to replace this but it was between 60 - 90 dollars. There is no latch to release the handle which also sounds like a good idea, but it is hard to get the handle to catch in the upright position so you can use the hose attachments. Parts are cheap plastic, the red latch to empty the canister where the dirt collects has broken. Wish I have never purchased this.

Recently purchased handheld vacuum. Dyson v6, absolute crap. My granny could suck harder. Battery life is very short, has the performance of my cheap car hoover but cost me 200!! Feel ripped off.

I have an old DC08 Animal and it is a good job I kept it!!! I purchased the DC54 to replace the DC08 as it was looking a little battered and I was tired of washing out the sponge filters and drying them after. I settled on the DC54 because it was cool-looking and no filters. And because it was a Dyson, I assumed it would be great; WRONG!!! Admittedly we have dogs and tile floors all over, so there needs to be a considerable amount of hoovering up to keep the place presentable, but this machine simply is not up to the job!!! It is useless.The suction is weaker than the DC08 and the dustbin has to be changed before I finish hoovering up the living room.

There is no room in it because of the huge permanent filter in the centre and dog hair gets stuck in it too. The dustbin is difficult to remove from the machine and instead of the top coming off like the old model, a button must be pressed whereby a couple of red plastic sticks then force the bottom open like a flap. If everything doesn't drop out; which it won't, believe me; you are meant to turn it over and dig it all out with the plastic stick Mr Dyson has provided you with. All this for only £320.

I always thought the bagless idea was great, even though the attachments and handles, etc. were overdesigned and gimmicky. It now appears that the whole machine has become a gimmick. The only thing I can say positive is that it might look good in the next sequel in the ALIEN film series. Perhaps they could leave it lying in the hallway on the spaceship for effect, kind of the way I currently use mine. It is hopeless for anything else. Don't do it. Over-hyped and under performing.

I am the very proud and lucky owner of a Dyson DC 25... a Cordless Dyson... and am going to buy the new big ball canister tomorrow. We have had a built in vacuum for years that was a heavy duty grade industrial one... and the Dysons are way way better. I love Dyson so much and believe in their product so much that I would work for them. I've bought one for both of my kids... bought one for my mom and told my extended family to invest also. They call me all the time to thank me!

I bought my Dyson DC37MF on the 08/18/15 and the motor burned out on the 09/10/16. The repairman said it was sand. Not true. There is no sand in our apartment or near it. It was probably cat litter on the rug left by our cats. My 5 year warranty was voided because of this. Dust or litter should not be able to get into the motor. It should be shielded but it is not. So for all of you cat lovers out there, do not go out and get yourself a Dyson, and pay a lot of money for a machine that is not cat-friendly.

I used to demonstrate a vacuum cleaner in peoples homes. I used a brand new, clean, white filter every time and used to take one long sweep from the homeowners carpet. The filthiest carpets were always those who owned a Dyson. The cleanest carpet I ever came across was the oldest and in the oldest home it belonged to an elderly lady who had a vintage chrome ended Electrolux with a washable cloth bag. I couldn't believe it.

Believing Dyson's remarkable marketing scheme, I purchased an upright ball vacuum. It worked well for about a year, although I never liked the extension hose for attachments. It is stiff and keeps retracting. It is so difficult to use that I rarely use it, which is one of the reasons I purchased it. It worked less well the second year. The on/off switch quit working. My husband took the cover off and we were able to use it by pressing down on the on/off buttons directly without the cover. Then the carpet/wood floor toggle quit working. Then it quit sucking altogether.

We called Dyson customer service. "No problem!" they claim. They gave us a reference number and told us to take it to our nearest UPS. A few hours later, we did. UPS said our claim wasn't in the system yet and they would send it when it was. UPS said they get Dyson for repairs often and it takes at least several days or longer for the claims to get in the system.

We waited three days, then returned to UPS for a receipt. UPS said our claim still wasn't in the system. I emailed Dyson. They said it was in the system, and did I not give them my reference number, and that UPS didn't put in the proper code. Of course I gave UPS the reference number. We called Dyson customer service. They kept us on hold while they called the UPS office where our vacuum was. The customer service rep said they just talked to UPS and everything was done, the claim handled.

We went the next day to pick up the receipt. Our vacuum was still sitting at UPS. The UPS clerk said (1) they never received a call the day before from Dyson, (2) of course they put in the proper code, (3) our claim was not going through. I was beginning to doubt who was telling the truth. We called Dyson again. Again they called UPS while we were on hold and told us the same thing--everything was handled and our vacuum cleaner had been shipped. We went back to UPS to pick up the receipt. Yes, Dyson did call the second time they claimed to have called. UPS rep said that the UPS system was not working, and that they had to enter the claim on their system manually. The rep said she wrote down the Dyson rep's name, time and date to verify that that this was not UPS' fault. UPS said this is the norm when dealing with Dyson.

I made such a fuss about wanting a Dyson DC25 Animal that my husband was willing to do whatever it took to surprise me Xmas morning... He made down payment and signed the contract to purchase it NEW AND IN THE ORIGINAL BOX from a local rent-to-own company. Xmas excitement passed and I realized that we'd pay a total of $1708. for this vacuum. After some thought, decided that you get what you pay for... Since was the only way we could afford to get such quality as Dyson, we had to be willing to pay the extra finance charges and other related fees. $1708 was acceptable since we would then own a great vacuum. WHAT A ** JOKE!!! If only I had known. I do not recommend this product to anyone. In fact, I tell everyone who will listen that Dyson is not what they claim to be and don't waste their money.

The vacuum came with a 5 yr warranty and it's a good thing b/c it broke down TWICE in the first year and a half. Each of those repairs were very expensive (first time $170, second time was over $350). Both were covered by warranty and done with no money out-of-pocket but the 2nd repair took nearly 60 days before the vacuum was ready for pick up. At that point, I began to realize that I'd be fortunate if the vacuum made it through 5 yrs but I shouldn't expect much more than that. So disappointed.

Never would've paid so much for this vacuum which is of quite average quality. Maybe even less than average. My grandmother purchased a Shark Navigator for approx $200 within a month or so of when I got my Dyson and has never had a problem. I borrowed hers while mine was in for repairs and found that it works just as well (it was slightly heavier I thought but not a huge difference). When you consider the difference in price, Dyson should be ashamed. I'll never buy Dyson again.

I would not ever recommend buying one base on the runaround I got with the support center. Once it stop working I got the complete runaround. I had to call 3X and each time it was a min 30 min wait to speak to someone and then got 4 different answers and none of them work. One person told me it was the battery, send me one confirmation email then another email cancelling it all within a few minutes. Then the another person said "No you need to mail it in for repairs and wait for them to fix it which may take 30 plus days." Who know??? All I know is I have had it for 1 year and already having problems.

So at $680 a pop that about $56 a month to lease a Dyson. I rather spend my money on something else.. I would say for being a reputable company they have a bad reputation on this site that I wish I would have seen before I bought one. You would think for a big co they would be as efficient & technical with running their company like they make and market their products. Ha Ha. The Joke on you.

Where you are buying a fan or vacuum from this company the bottom line is they don't care. I purchased a fan which malfunctioned a few months later. Dyson said to send it back to them and once done so to provide them the tracking number and within 24 hours my replacement unit should be sent. Well 2 weeks later I finally received my tracking number that it has finally been sent. Well then to my stupidity they apologized and I believed them so I decided to order 2 V8 absolute vacuums. So after calling them placing my order and charging my credit card I still have not received my order 10 days later.

I got an invoice so I called Dyson and they said the agent who took my order made a mistake by not charging me the correct amount. I spoke to a manager who offered me free shipping which is what Dyson offers anyways but my new charges go from $1259 to almost 1600 although my credit card was charged the 1259. The worst company who doesn't care about the customers and lives off the BS that they feed their customers on commercials. Please beware before purchasing.

Nothing but problems with these products. Mr. Dyson, the secret of a good vacuum is not suction, or a ball. It is to run when you start it!!! In my opinion, Dyson products are overpriced, overhyped, and underperforming. DO NOT BUY.

Dyson DC17 was a great vacuum for me until it needed a seal for the canister. You have to dumped the canister when it is full and my husband did just that. Only problem was he also dumped the seal at the bottom of the cyclone. A 4" round by 1 1/4" wide. I tried to purchase the part, approximately $8.00 and was told I would have to purchase the entire cyclone for $100. They do not just sell the rubber seal. I will be looking for another vacuum. No longer a Dyson fan!!!

I am so upset at my Dyson Vacuum and their customer service. Do not buy any Dyson product. I bought a cordless Dyson vacuum and it was a piece of garbage ever since I took it out of the box. The problem with the cordless vacuum is that it gets clogged easily due to the lack of suction, AND after about 3 months, the motor just shuts off when you're trying to vacuum. I have had nothing but trouble with my Dyson, and when I call their customer service, it is a joke. After I do everything the "Support Crew" tells me to do, then they don't believe me and ask me to do it again. They treated me like an idiot AND my Dyson still doesn't work. How about you just admitting that you have a bad design and I am a sucker for buying it? Don't be like me... go with another brand, and better customer service!

Sad to say trashing my Dyson. I have owned many vacuum cleaners over the years, mainly bag type. I was excited to own such an expensive vacuum cleaner, no more buying bags. What a disappointment. I took great care maintaining cleaning filters. I vacuum often and started dreading the task, my motor shuts down from overheating, back flash is terrible. Going back to the bags, much easier and cleaner. My Dyson was about four years old, honestly like to beat it with a bat for all the extra work it has caused me.

I ordered a vacuum on a Sunday evening. Next day I get an e-mail saying my order had been cancelled per my request. I did not cancel the order. So I called Dyson that Monday. They said their system just does that and that they would push my order through. The next morning they called me and said the vacuum had been shipped and shipped expedited. So Thursday rolls around and I still had no tracking number. I call and I was told the vacuum had not been shipped and it was shipping standard! So I asked to speak to a supervisor. They keep me on hold for almost 20 minutes and come back and say that no one is available to talk to me. They tell me however a supervisor will call me back by this afternoon.

So afternoon comes. No call. I call back again. They said a note was never left for a supervisor to call me back. They put me on hold... again. This time for over 20 minutes and they say again that a supervisor is not available. Overall I have spoken to several people from Dyson and NONE of them have any idea what is going on. Next time I will save the money and the migraine and buy a Shark!

My Dyson DC59 barely had suction from day one. I had some repairs done under warranty but really didn't help much. I push a lot around the floor & end up picking up a lot myself. I agreed it better on carpet than bare floors but doesn't do edges/corners well on either. From the very first time I went through the process of taking out all filters & washing/drying, etc according to the directions, I then spend time making phone calls and arranging for it to be collected. It was overseen, sent back. Besides being a time consuming & inconvenient process it still didn't work well. I call again today to be told out of warranty. I tried to explain I just lost my parent last month after a long illness with cancer. I never had time to worry about vacuum cleaner. The member of staff wasn't interested or very helpful. Will never purchase another Dyson!

I had one issue after years of use. The problem was solved in 2 emails. Best customer service ever. They were emailing me back at midnight with solutions!! Happy customer.

Bought a DC23 5 years ago, 6/22/11. Warranty covers 5 years. Motor quit on 6/14/16. Promptly contacted Dyson support, first by phone and was about 36 in call order, so message said I could leave my number and they would call. Waited a few days, no call (didn't realize the scam). Called again, this time over 60 calls ahead of me, so left my number again and waited a few days but no response (an awful lot of calls, right?). So, tried emailing and got a prompt response asking for more info. I responded with requested info but received no further response.

I waited a few days (by the way I was also trying to hold down a job) and sent another updated email with all relevant info. I received a response but Dyson could not retrieve any prior phone or email interactions (very convenient memory loss but my phone had the encounters). So, they claimed the unit was out of warranty and by then it was but only because of their incompetent support system (surely they wouldn't try to deny I had contacted them earlier...oh yes they would!). Thus, Dyson is crooked in that way and I will not do business with them again. All about retaining your money and not customer support!

I feel bad when I read all these terrible reviews. Maybe something has changed. I paid $400 for the PET Vacuum (not ball and not cordless) MANY years ago. I have NEVER had any problem. Maybe I just got lucky. Still works like new after all these years. It's a large one and is purple.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.
  • Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.
  • Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.
  • Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.
  • Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.
  • Best for Dyson's powerful vacuums are good options for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Compare Vacuum Cleaners