2. Homeowners
  3. Vacuum Cleaners

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.12/5

Dyson Vacuums Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Original review: May 13, 2020

We have the V8 Animal cordless. This lightweight vacuum is very convenient and easy to use. It does a credible vacuuming job on both carpets and hard floors, especially on high power. But note that it will only run about 10 minutes on high. On regular it goes for at least 30 minutes - enough to do the entire house (upstairs and downstairs) plus the garage. Pretty impressive.

We had one serious problem in two years, a battery defect. Fortunately, Dyson cheerfully sent out a replacement, free of charge. The only less-than-ideal components are the accessory brushes. They don't pick up much and the one in the powerhead is losing some of its bristles (and its replacement is overly expensive). Deep cleaning the two filters is a bit of a chore, but at least they are washable (with tap water) so there's no extra cost of replacement filter bags. This needs to be done about every two or three months, so not too bad. Overall, the V8 is our go-to vacuum for most everything. We also have a Hoover upright that is more powerful, but it is heavy and clumsy. I pretty much only use it now to vacuum our exhaust vents and the refrigerator coils.

Original review: May 12, 2020

We were given our Dyson Ball Multi Floor vacuum as a hand me down. The Cadillac of vacuums, in my less than knowledgeable opinion of any vacuum. As someone with back issues, I was hoping it would self propel itself and hover from tile to rug and back, effortlessly. Leaving nothing but like new, expensive looking thick carpet type lines behind me. I wouldn’t have to whiff the wretched burnt smell while one foot on the corner of an end of a throw rug in the kitchen, while my Dyson just knows... up and over... onto tile, keep going.

Then was my thought of the bag-less design. No remembering bag numbers, and changing them....Ugh. Since details make the difference.... First, stick to vacuums with bags. Because emptying that plastic canister outdoor (or even indoors, with a deep breath) exposes you to the dust and crud you just sucked up. Lastly, none of the other above hopes of my Dyson came to fruition either. So my reviewing the Dyson was not glowing. But I was grateful for the thought when it was given to us. Hopefully, soon enough when this one is no longer working, I will go back to the Hoover bagged style. Happy Vacuuming.

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2020

We have 2 very hairy dogs and 2 vacuum cleaners that we enjoy for different reason. One is the "Pet" Dyson, the other is a Shark Ion with removable batteries. The Dyson definitely removes more dog hair on the first pass. The Shark removes hair, too, but not as much, and only after making several passes. The Dyson has different speeds which is nice when vacuuming cheaper carpets like bathroom rugs so they won't get sucked up. The Shark has only one speed. But with the Dyson, you must continuously hold the trigger while vacuuming. Don't care for that. With the Shark, you press one button to turn on and off.

When the Dyson battery goes, you must recharge it. When Shark's battery loses juice, you just pop in a fresh battery while the other charges. Love that. As for price, the Shark (on sale) was about $230 while the Dyson was around $600. We bought the Dyson to remove the pet hair, which was everywhere. It did a great job but because of its price, probably won't buy another Dyson for a very long time.

Original review: April 29, 2020

Dyson is a great company. My mom always complained about how hard her vacuum was to push and that she got older. I really was looking for a vacuum that was really lightweight yet powerful for her because she has arthritis and I could not find one. When the Dyson battery power came out it blew my mind. I was so happy that I could finally buy her a vacuum. I bought one for myself first. I wanted to make sure that she would like it because I know how picky she is. She really is a clean freak and I was surprisingly ecstatic when using it. It met all and I mean all of her complaints on her other vacuums. I mean she must have spent tens of thousands of dollars on the highest quality vacuums when I was a kid growing up. I was finally able to get her her vacuum of her dreams. She always literally pictured this vacuum. She explained it and next thing you know it was on the market. It was actually a prayer answered. Unbelievable.

Original review: April 23, 2020

It has three power settings, economy, medium and boost and are switchable with a button push. In economy mode, the power is a bit better than a typical hand vac and a charge lasts 74 minutes. Medium is almost as strong as a corded vacuum and the charge lasts about 40 minutes. Boost mode is as strong or stronger than a corded floor vacuum and the charge lasts only 9 minutes. I used the Dyson mostly in medium mode and was able to clean dirt and long hair with no issue. I was also able to pick up gravel from a car floor easily.

The Dyson comes with 4 cleaning tools for different types of jobs and can be used with or without the extended stalk between the vacuum and the cleaning tools. The pieces attach securely with a satisfying click. Removing dirt from the vacuum is simple but more important, the canister is made in a way that causes the process to leave minimal dust. Very important for people like us with breathing issues.

It is easy to hold the vacuum as it weighs about 4 pounds and has a pistol grip. With the stalk, it is 42 inches from grip to bottom, depending on the cleaning tool used. It is a good length for floor cleaning. One negative is that the vacuum only stays on when the trigger is pulled. Another is that the weight can make it wearing to use for large areas. For those reasons I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars. In general, I would not use this vacuum as my primary for a large home. It is great for a smaller apartment, spot jobs, stairs, inaccessible places and vehicles. It is also perfect to clean the places that a robotic vacuum could not reach.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I purchased the Dyson V8 last week. It worked very well for the first 2-3 days. Out of the blue it stopped working (despite being charged) and the garbage bin latch would not open (although it had been fine the first few days). I had registered the machine with Dyson when purchased, so contacted Dyson support. They were terribly unhelpful, and refused to offer either a repair or refund option... they just kept sending me the generic instruction videos!! I was truly shocked...until I started reading all the bad experiences with Dyson US. I really urge you not to buy Dyson, terrible service. (I purchased the V8 at the local Bed Bath and Beyond, but registered with Dyson.)

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I’ve owned Kirby vacuums and Hoover vacuums. Without a doubt my Dyson stowaway is the best. I’ve owned for 5 years now, and the suction is as good as the day I bought it. I had my doubts at first, because of the lightweight plastic. This thing is indestructible. Last week it fell down the stairs 10 steps and showed no signs of any damage. It’s easy to service, and no vacuum bags needed. I can’t imagine a better vacuum.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

My Dyson V10 died halfway through its 2 year warranty period. Dyson don't answer their service phone but send you interminable texts and emails seeking the same info (like Serial number and the problem) over and over again. After hours of misinformation and argument (and after they accepted IN WRITING that the warranty was valid) they agreed we need a new machine but they now claim they are "out of stock" despite still having that item for sale on their website and at resellers like Amazon. Dyson products are expensive junk. They are trading on their previous good name. I have the BBB on the case and if you look around you will find hundreds of other cases like mine on the www. DO NOT BUY!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Professional cleaners for 25+ years. Used every kind of vac! A broom works better! Dysons are too big n clunky, don't pick up well, charging ones lose power too fast! TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY! Get a Bissell or Electrolux!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I recently purchased Dyson vacuum and it came with the wrong parts (2 of the tools were for the old version and did not fit). I contacted Dyson with detailed description and pictures for the issue. I have not heard them more than 2 days and then, they started ask questions one by one on daily basis. Each day replying a question and next day another comes. This lasted almost a week and they run out of questions and started asking same questions. I replied them as, "You already asked these questions and I replied. I am replying you again but please do not ask the same questions over and over again. Please refer to my previous emails before asking and you already have all my contact details, product details, where did I bought, when did I bought, etc."

Then the day after, I received a new email asking the same question for the product number again. This time I did not replied with the answer, instead asked them to refer my previous emails and give any person at administrative level to talk with. The ridiculous process I faced with customer services is absolutely unacceptable as it is like torture, time stealing, humiliating and much more. Even I stand with patience and replied questions one by one each day (they should have a form to ask all the questions and collect date they need) for their fault (as they did not include correct parts). This was the last drop.

I was thinking Dyson is a market leader with technology and innovation but it looks like they even do not have capability to collect data and track emails. Tens of years ago, companies had better data and bookkeeping with better customer relations. There is no doubt Dyson has a huge defect and incapability here and I would be happy to discuss this issue on managerial level to contribute and help Dyson since I have all recordings with the process.

Dyson Vacuums author review by ConsumerAffairs

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.

• Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.

• Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.

• Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team