2.16/5

Dyson Vacuums Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

668 Dyson Vacuums Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Purchased the Dyson big ball canister vacuum in May of 2017 for $500. Worse vacuum we have ever owned. Numerous issues since receiving. Recently the vacuum was emitting a horrendous odor. In a desperate attempt I ran water thru the filter area of the unit. Out poured black mold for over 15 minutes. This hazardous mold has been sent airborne thru the vacuum into my home.

I explained fully the issue and steps I took to Dyson who instructed me to send the unit to their service "professionals". This vacuum was sent with a full explanation of the situation. Received a call from a local service facility telling me it would cost over $150 to thoroughly clean the vacuum because there was water. I tried telling him to read the note which clearly explained why water was used. He would not listen that the smell existed prior to an attempted cleaning and continues telling me the smell was due to the water. Avoid Dyson products. Inferior product with poor, rude customer service.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Don’t waste your money. This version’s battery is useless. I have a 900 sq ft main level and I can’t even get through it on low setting. Originally I could use the high setting for 30 seconds, now the battery dies immediately when I try using the high. First time it died after short use on high I called support & they just suggested use only low setting... Thanks for nothing.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I purchased the Dyson V8 Stick in November of 2018. It would not work the first time I tried to use it. I returned it to the store and received a replacement. Within a month it started to pulse and then would shut down. I contacted Customer Service and was told to check their website for helpful videos. It worked for a few weeks. I had cleaned it twice already. Contacted them again today. I was told that the sticks don't get serviced by their authorized dealer!!! I have to try and fix it myself and/or go and buy replacement parts. They kept telling me to try the same fixes over and over and WON'T give me any new parts!! What is the warranty for??? I have used their products for many years but NOT anymore. Going to try a different company from now on.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Had reason to (try) contact customer service recently... After trying twice by phone... and having give up after waiting between 5/10 mins we tried email. After various emails we got a call!!! From customer service (UK!!) during which it became clear that a 5/10 wait shouldn't be considered excessive/unusual... Either way we have never thought the Hoover itself to be very satisfactory anyway. It seems to clog/block constantly with just normal household use... Will not be buying another Dyson.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Noisy and constant cleaning of machine: It was good for a few months then constantly had to clean parts of machine before each use. I moved back to bags with a Miele machine with a powered head and it is very much better quality. Who wants to see their dirty old skin and dog hair through a transparent tube anyways?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

The cleaner worked really well for the first couple of weeks but now I seem to spend more time taking it apart, unblocking it and cleaning it. It is driving me crazy and I long for the good old days with my reliable Henry! The Dyson upright, I would say it sucks but a lot of the time it doesn’t!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I don't like Dyson vacuums at all. For one thing, they are incredibly bulky and complicated to clean out. I think they are also ugly too. I really wish I had not wasted all my money on this stupid vacuum. Every time I used it, it hits and smacks into corners because it is so bulky. My furniture is all dented up. This thing is so hard to figure out. I can even find the on/off switch most of the time then to try getting the canister apart is a complete struggle. Maybe I should have been a rocket scientist to be able to use this vacuum?!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

There are three Dyson machines in my house. One canister, and two cordless. All have had issues and repairs. The latest one is a V8 Animal 2.5 years old. Was purchased July 2016. It stopped working in Dec of 2017. After much discussion with customer care, New battery. In Dec 2018 same problem. Now there is no warranty left. I did however put another new battery in this machine. January 2019 now the machine runs for 10 minutes before the battery gets blazing hot and shuts down. Fire hazard as far as I am Concerned. Obviously it’s something other than the battery causing this problem. No favourable response from customer care. Considering all this, the machine is way overpriced and does not perform up to a 600$ value machine. Please DON’T BUY A DYSON.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I have had my Dyson Cyclone v10 for a little less than a year. It took me a very long time to purchase a free standing vacuum because of the expense. For the first couple of months (2 months) I was in cleaning heaven, then about week 9 I started to notice the battery life wasn’t holding for very long, by week 11 I was lucky to get 5 minutes. I called Dyson directly because I had paid 599$ for this and hasn’t even had the machine 3 months! The male on the phone said for me to switch it to “extended run” instead of “maximum suction”. Well the whole reason I bought this particular vacuum is because I have dogs (short hair) and I want to have max suction. So I did what the man told me and I got about 3-4 minutes more on the battery. Not enough to do my lower level home.

So months pass, I don’t really use Dyson, I went and bought a “Shark Professional” - has a cord, but oh well! At least I can vacuum my home in one go! The Dyson was used by my husband this morning at under 1 year old since purchase, and it ran for about 30 seconds... Horrible battery life! Horrible customer service! Horrible vacuum!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Although the machine is very good, service is terrible, to the point where I've been waiting for two months for my machine to be sent back to me after being fixed and there is no indication of when or if I will have a machine returned to me. The company is not worth your money or your time.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I bought the vacuum v10 absolute from website 14.01.19 and received on 17/1/19. I used no more than 1 week and have the problem. Need to send back customer services. First, I would like to complain the customer services poor. Second, the quality of the vacuum poor. I hope there have a good feedback from master of Dyson.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Ordered a V10 as a Christmas present. Dyson sent a V8 with a V10 Doc? Called customer service and they said, "Send it back and we will send the correct model." Dyson received the return on 12/28. We received a return confirmation email. Called ~10 days later to see where the V10 was, it had never been sent. We were then told 3-5 days again. Called again on 1/18 to see where the vacuum was. It of course was never shipped. Tried to tell us 3-5 days again at which point I cancelled the order. If they are not willing to overnight ship at that point, which they weren't willing, then they do not want my money or my business.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Firstly. If Mr. Dyson can be knighted for inventing the Dyson Vacuum. Then I think the guy that invented the Corsair should be knighted. I like my V10, but literally returned it twice. First time it cracked open, second time, it just stopped working. Support was very kind and responsive. I am now on my 3rd new canister. I am NOT abusive nor picky. But I already see signs of wear on the canister. It seems to be chipping. I’m really gentle on it and store it properly. Even if I were abusive, that seems to be the key feature in any other vacuum. They are tanks! This product is also full of design flaws. The brush has no baffling that allows air to pass through while on a rug. Therefore when you do vacuum a rug. You can’t move. Because it sticks to the rug.

They have fixed the problem by designing a new head. At $59.00 more $$$!!! Show me a vacuum that didn’t think of RUGS??? And there is only a flexible hose for newer models or at another $50.00. Mr. Dyson must have tickled the queen one fine night. Because he hasn’t designed anything breathtaking. I’ll live with this machine until it stops. I’m mad that I got rid of my Miele. I just didn’t want to buy another bag. With sincere patience and good intentions. I would never recommend this stick. Never. I purchased this at Costco. Plunked down my $499.00. What you don’t get are the other attachments and a smaller canister. I empty it after every use so that’s nothing for me.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Horrible vacuum, Waste of over 500.00 - My husband and daughter bought me this vacuum for Christmas last year. It worked great the first month. Then it started spewing out dust due to it not having any filters. My husband takes it out and blows the dust out once a month. The hair gets tangled up in the beater head and around the ball part of the cleaning head. I HATE IT, I LOVE MY SHARK. The only difference is the Shark isn't a canister vac and the Dyson is. I will never Never buy another one.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I purchased the handheld less than 2 years ago. When charged, I was able to use it for 5 to 7 min in maximum power. Today, it only lasts 2 or 3 min max when fully charged... What happened??? Can a representative of Dyson contact me please and explain why a $400+ product would last less than 2 years??? I am quite disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

It is true that the vacuum has a lot of suction power; however, you have to clean it maybe every couple of months, which means you have to take the entire thing apart. I had to watch a video of this each time I did it. It is not easy to get back together either. I had the vacuum for two years and the motor failed. Maybe the Shark I will buy next year, will be better, but the Electrolux cordless that I bought to replace the Dyson doesn’t have a very good suction power but is very simple to clean. I would stay away from the DYSON unless you have a lot of money to burn and somebody to take it apart and put it back together when it needs cleaning!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

My experience with our new D7 is that it will never work more than 10 to 15 minutes - PERIOD. The D7 offers convenience outside when cleaning our vehicles' interiors. I did follow the Dyson instructions when brand new, with regard to making sure the vacuum battery was fully charged before initially using it. I just finished cleaning a large SUV, it has taken four battery recharges to finish the interior cleaning and allowing for the time it takes to fully recharge the battery, it has taken two days. Each time the vacuum was dead within 10 minutes or less. Definitely not satisfied with this Dyson product. However, it must be noted here that there is another Dyson in our home with which we have been very satisfied, and nothing cleans up pet hair better than a Dyson, period.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

We got a new pet about a year ago and, our Electrolux with beater-bar could not pick up the long, fine hairs from our carpet or floors. Our daughter purchased a Dyson V-10 through the Shopping Channel and paid $599.00 a few weeks before... She also has a dog with long, fine hair and was so pleased with the new vacuum and recommended we place our order, which I did, before the sale was over. It arrived in three days by UPS as promised and I spent about half an hour assembling the unit.

What a surprise! What used to take me at least an hour to vacuum all the carpets and still had lots of hairs that could not be picked up so... I had to get on my knees and pick up the rest plus, our old vacuum was corded so, the furniture took a beating over time... NOT THE DYSON... Wow, finished the whole job in just over 15 minutes and, NO HAIR left to deal with. Plus, the see-through, clear dust catcher contained a lot of "fuzzy" stuff from the carpet as well. Easy to empty the chamber when done... A great buy plus, the time savings and NO CORD to deal with. One of the best buys in our 59 years of marriage. Wonderful product... Highly recommended to anyone tired of dealing with vacuuming without satisfaction.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Not sure about the upgrade yet. Ordered from Dyson. Got the order when they said but I miss some of the features of the V8. V8 is much easier to empty. V10 battery is better... thus far. Charges ok. The tube from the floor to the filter unit gets plugged too easily. Usually only German Shepherd hair and small grit. All in all, if you can find a V10 on sale for 1/2 price, would buy but would not pay full retail from anyone on this unit. Hope we don't have any issues with it as sounds like their website needs some lessons in customer service.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I placed my order on Ebay. The order completed processing before I was afforded an opportunity to change the delivery ship to address. Probably my fault. Nonetheless. I recognized the issue immediately and sent an email the vendor. The vendor did not reply to me until over 6 hours later saying they could not change the ship to address as a matter of security. I tried to cancel the order and was ignored by customer service. Six hours later I received the official notice that a UPS label had been generated. The next day I tried to change the shipping address through UPS but they said the vendor wouldn't allow it.

Long and short of it I had to refuse the order when it arrived. I then tried to order another one and have it shipped to the proper address. As it was a Christmas present for my mother and their site responded saying they refuse to take orders from me. This would have been the third Dyson product I would have purchased from them...two of which were gifts... Way to go Dyson... Your customer service is horrible. A repeat customer lost that is more than happy to share his experience with others.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I paid a bit more for a vacuum thinking about the quality. Well how disappointing. I couldn't even get the whole house vacuumed. The battery died... it got worse. After 6 months the battery was not even good for a minute. Mr Dyson after not being able to get my money back I purchased a similar product from Bosch. The battery lasts 20 min. on full load. You might buy one and have a look at how to build a vacuum.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

4 calls in 4 weeks to get a problem with my Dyson upright (under warranty) sorted to no avail. My first part's order got canceled for no apparent reason. 3 weeks later a little foam rubber seal arrives instead of an internal hose. I called the US support office again and gave up after holding for 38 minutes, not sure why they say my call is important to them when they do not answer it. I emailed again and a weak apology followed with a promise of the right part being sent (again). The support service in the UK was far superior. Been a loyal brand supporter for almost 15 year now. Maybe it is time to switch brand loyalty?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I've ordered V10 Absolute cordless cleaner on Black Friday sales at Dyson Website. They provide two more free tools. One of them is tool bag and the other is Cyclone V10 Dok and saying I've saved 352.03$. But when it delivered first time V10 only. Their excuse was too heavy order through sale periods. And finally I've got two free tools but they sent mattress tools worth 29.00$ instead of V10 Dok a worth 149.99$. Now they saying my order was not included that V10 Dok.

Here's screen capture of my order from Dyson website and what I've received from them yesterday.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I had a Dyson DC21 Canister full kit for about the 4 years and I it had some minor problem that the warranty cover and repaired them in reasonable time, unexpectedly it stop working and I called customer service for repair service. They said that this machine is out of production so the spare part not available then they proposed the DC 41 Canister a refurbished for replacement. I received the new Vacuum cleaner that look same as my previous vacuum cleaner but with the less standard accessories (I should buy the missed accessories separately from Dyson), anyway it was not the bad side of this replacement. The new vacuum cleaner in the first use, stopped working each 5 min for around 1 min then restart again and this time reduces to the 3 min working time in the following sequence!!!

After this experience I packed the vacuum cleaner and called to customer service for resolve the problem by replacing the damaged appliance that they sent me. Incredibly they asked me to repair the new vacuum cleaner. They replaced my old vacuum cleaner with another damaged machine!! Customer service did not answer my request and always said we will call you but never called again. The guaranty of the machine will come to end and there is no responsibility for their error.

I believe they have other tools for refusing this kind of complaint. If you call with the registered telephone number to customer service, the average answering time is about 45 min but if you call them with non-registered phone number in their system, this waiting time reduced to around 10 to 15 min!! By this experience this is my last purchase of Dyson product, strongly not recommended!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

On 26 November, I ordered a Dyson ball origin as a Christmas gift for my sister, which I regret more than I can describe. It is now 18 December and I have spent hours on the phone to track down the vacuum that was supposed to be delivered for 2 day delivery weeks ago. They told me to file a police report for a package that they show as "in transit" on their package tracking. What a horrible excuse for a company. Absolutely no customer service and no accountability.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

My husband purchased the Dyson V7 Motorhead as a Christmas present in 2017. We had used a canister Electrolux for years in our multi-level 4 bedroom home and loved it. After moving into a townhouse condo with minimal electrical outlets, carrying the canister vacuum up and down three levels, searching for outlets, was less than enjoyable. The condo is roughly 1200 sq.ft and I have run out of power multiple times. We have vinyl flooring throughout except for the stairs. The suction is poor, leaving cat hairs behind. Not wanting to hurt my husband's feelings, I kept quiet for several months. Now seriously considering purchasing a new cordless vacuum. My daughter has a Shark and is very happy with it - she also has cats! After hearing commercials expounding on the excellence of Dyson cordless vacuums, I was very disappointed. For the price, the quality is lacking.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

As a long-time owner of Dyson vacuum cleaners, we purchased our third one - Dyson Big Ball Animal vacuum cleaner approximately 6 months ago. The carpet roller brush is already worn out, leading me to call to Dyson for a replacement under warranty. The part is on back-order, and no time frame was provided. In the interim, there was no concern for how the vacuum is working and no effort to offer a temporary solution. The current carpet roller brush does not work effectively. Really substandard quality and poor customer service.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I purchased a Dyson V6 animal stick rechargeable about 3 years ago. Very poor for the price you pay. Will never buy another Dyson product. Got it with some air miles and sorry I didn’t buy something different. From the first day it overheated on turbo mode but it worked fine on normal mode, my fault for not returning but you have to ship it back in the box it came in. After a bit of use the part that goes into the canister to hold the stick came out. I was able to get it back in though. After a bit more use all the pieces that snap together came loose and kind of flop around, however it still worked. I then tried to find filters for it locally and good luck with that had to find them on Amazon.

Then after about 2 & 3/4 years it would not hold a charge, called Dyson and they said they would send me a new battery for free but I would have to be home to sign for it. I informed them I would be away for a few days and could they just order it and ship it a few days later, I was told no, I then come back home and called again to order, I was informed they were out of batteries but would have some in 2 to 3 weeks and I would have to call again to order. Good thing this is not our main vacuum. These vacuums are a very poor quality for the money spent, don’t suck that well either. Do research prior to buying a stick vac, there are some at half the price with good reviews. Dyson needs to figure out an easier way to get parts for their products.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

So, I purchased a Dyson V7 Hepa cordless vacuum last night when the company was closed. After I made the online purchase, I realized I made a mistake and should have ordered the Dyson V7 Absolute due to the fact the I needed the soft brush attachment since all my floors are either tile or wood. I called the company at 8am when they opened to let them know that I would like to change my order to upgrade to the V7 Absolute and pay the remaining money owed. I was told that they can not do that. They need to process the order and ship it to me then I can return it and place an order for the vacuum I actually want.

Explain to me how this is good customer service... even better how this is good business practice to fully understand the product I ordered is still sitting in the warehouse and I want to buy a machine that is more expensive, why they would want to send it to me and have me send the product back and then reorder the correct one. After this fiasco, I will resend them the one that comes to me and I will never be purchasing another product from this company. It's very sad that a company with such a great product can have such and business practices and idiotic customer service reps.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Just called Customer Service for a hand held Dyson that is not charging, They told me the charger is faulty but because I'm 5 months outside warranty they would not send out a free replacement. This Dyson has only been used 15 times. We have Dyson hoovers x2 (for 2 homes). Bought my mum a hand held and we have x2 handhelds and just bought the full hair range of Dyson (which I will return now). Promised my mum a floor Dyson for Xmas but will explain to her why Dyson is not the way forward- unless she wants to sponsor their side revenue stream for additional replacements. Apple and other chargers don't do this. We have (like most homes) a range of high end electrical products- never had a charger go on the blink. Our charger and Dyson products in general are kept immaculately. There is no way the charger has been in any way mishandled and used maybe only 7 times in total.

Further this particular machine developed a fault within 4 months of its purchase- they had to send out a replacement battery shortly after it was purchased. THE PRODUCT IS CLEARLY DEFECTIVE and when I asked for the supervisor I was told- he will not come to the phone because he says you should just pay for a new charger. :) Tells everything. Will buy Miele which is German made and far superior as a product next time and this is the end of our relationship with Dyson. Looking forward to return my recent purchases.

Dyson Vacuums expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.

• Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.

• Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.

• Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.

• Best for: Dyson's powerful vacuums are good options for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs