3.49/5

Dyson Vacuums Reviews

711 Dyson Vacuums Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 7, 2019

I had purchased a DC77 a few years back and it was an exceptional vacuum up to about a month ago. I called Dyson and they advised where to take for repair as I still had approx 6 months left in my warranty. Dyson advised it would be approx a week before I would have my unit back. With 3 animals and kids I could not really bear for the timeline to be much longer than that. The repair shop advised me the unit needed a new motor and that they were on back order. I patiently waited for approx 2 weeks on top of the original week and contacted the repair shop again only to be told the motor was still not in with no ETA either. Frustrated I contacted Dyson and asked them to please advise what is being done as I cannot be without my unit for this long. They advised they would get in touch with me in 24 hours to let me know if the unit was still going to be repaired or replaced outright.

I received an email the next day telling me a brand new DC77 was en route to me via Purolator and my only responsibility was to return the older unit back to them (they provided the return Purolator label as well so no cost to me). The cherry on top was the fact they have also extended the warranty until October of 2020 as well even though my original warranty was to run out in Oct of 2019. So not only did they send a brand new unit but I also have another year warranty that I did not have on a brand spanking new model of the DC77. Dyson you have outdone yourself. My experience with you thus far is on par with the quality of your machines. Keep up the excellent work as you have more than earned a Dyson customer for life with me and our household. Thank you once again.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I purchased the Absolute V8 Stick. After about 16 months I had a problem with machine, I contacted Dyson support and I couldn’t be happier, they had me try a few things to make sure it wasn’t my error and I did have to return (they paid) but they are sending me a complete new one. Yes I have to wait a week or so but they stand behind product and by no means was it hard... few emails and done. Love the product as I have hardwood and carpet... Would buy another one and am very pleased with my whole support from them!

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2019

It is especially easy to maneuver. It can also be turned on and used for as long as the button is held down, without turning power on and off. That way, you can vacuum a tight area without snagging anything, avoiding a shoelace or the end of an area rug from getting sucked up. Easy to carry as well.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

We got a new pet about a year ago and, our Electrolux with beater-bar could not pick up the long, fine hairs from our carpet or floors. Our daughter purchased a Dyson V-10 through the Shopping Channel and paid $599.00 a few weeks before... She also has a dog with long, fine hair and was so pleased with the new vacuum and recommended we place our order, which I did, before the sale was over. It arrived in three days by UPS as promised and I spent about half an hour assembling the unit.

What a surprise! What used to take me at least an hour to vacuum all the carpets and still had lots of hairs that could not be picked up so... I had to get on my knees and pick up the rest plus, our old vacuum was corded so, the furniture took a beating over time... NOT THE DYSON... Wow, finished the whole job in just over 15 minutes and, NO HAIR left to deal with. Plus, the see-through, clear dust catcher contained a lot of "fuzzy" stuff from the carpet as well. Easy to empty the chamber when done... A great buy plus, the time savings and NO CORD to deal with. One of the best buys in our 59 years of marriage. Wonderful product... Highly recommended to anyone tired of dealing with vacuuming without satisfaction.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

This cordless vacuum is the bomb. Easy to assemble, easy to move around, easy to empty, the only thing I would improve upon is a little bigger canister to hold more. Other than that it's five star. I have a built-in vac that is a pain to haul. Such a long cord all over the house. This one is super easy snap and go and in no time that job is done. I'm just sorry I didn't buy it years ago.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Original review: June 15, 2019

I have 3 Dyson Vacuums, I loved the way they worked and were very powerful. However now that I have owned them for a few years 2 of my Vacs were the V6 (do not recommend this one at all, hard to clean and empty reservoir) - the big issue. The batteries die all of a sudden with no warning then you have no vacuum. You have to go to a service center and they need to inspect it. This is a total waste of time and money.

Finally they sell you a battery for $100. One vac V7 died within a few weeks. Then I had to wait 2 weeks for a new battery and in the meantime I had two Dyson vacs at home and neither worked. They do offer you an upgrade for a price that is more than other retailers sell it for. They say, "Do not buy from the retailers because you do not know the legacy of the vacuum." Are you kidding me? I am hearing a lot of good things about the LG Vacuum. It has 2 batteries and are easily interchangeable. Dyson will learn that you have to support your original customers - or they will fade away....

Original review: June 8, 2019

I got the V7 for Christmas and it stopped working about a month and a half later. I called customer service and waited about 30 minutes before was able to speak with a rep. The lady told me there was a sensor in the filter so I needed to wash that and it should work after. I tried that and it still didn't work. I called back with another long wait before another rep had me troubleshoot and then determined it was the battery. However they didn't have any in stock. So they would email me when they were available and I would need to call them back again to have it ordered. 2 weeks go by with no email. I call again today and they are in stock and couldn't explain why I didn't get notified. Now there is a battery on the way and I'm hoping it does the trick but I am still disappointed with this customer service and purchase. :(

Original review: June 1, 2019

I'm not thrilled to gain attention on a review for a problem with Dyson as a company by giving their V11 Animal Stick only three stars. The vacuum exceeded my expectations. Having said, it crapped out in less than two weeks. Even though the machine was faulty, I feel ** happens, and they would replace it with a brand new vacuum.

I set up a return with CS who sent me a prepaid label. The process is once they receive the faulty merchandise, they will send out a new unit. Not agreeing to replace the vacuum immediately is what I find unacceptable. After laying out over $600 and the machine crapped out in less than two weeks, I expected them to overnight a new one. I can and do understand they needed to make sure the defective unit was indeed on its way before sending a new one.

After dropping off the broken one at UPS, I contacted Dyson and gave them the return tracking number, and asked them to please overnight a new V11 Animal Stick. I explained I have six cats, live off a dirt road, and have been rehabbing my house. The V11 made such a difference in the amount of hair it picked up I could walk through the house with black socks on, and they hardly had any hair sticking to them. The CSR told me she understood and I should check my email for a notification that the replacement was in transit. Three days later and now it's a weekend they have not sent an email with a tracking number for the new vacuum.

I ordered directly from Dyson because I read many people had issues with batteries when they ordered from second and third-party sellers, who by the way ship overnight, due to incorrect storage in their warehouses. Climate control is a critical factor as it impacts the battery. I could have gotten better CS, and an immediate replacement had I ordered from Amazon.

Bottom line: The V11 is worth the $600 plus dollars. It does perform like a five-star vacuum. The V11 is easy to clean, and anyone with pets, allergies, or wants to keep a clean house should not be fearful of investing. However, order from Amazon if you wish to have outstanding CS to go with the performance. Dyson will not give it to you.

Original review: May 29, 2019

This is an expensive vacuum, and I have two of them because they are heavy to haul up and downstairs. BOTH have had the switch (next to the power button) that turns the rotating brushes on and off break TWICE. It's a small, cheap part, and you can replace it, but that's not the point. I am not heavy-handed with it, nor do I vacuum everyday! Really disappointing for how expensive they are. I won't be buying another Dyson.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Remember when Dyson advertised its vacuums as the only vacuums that won’t lose suction? Dyson is careful about saying that now. That’s because Dyson cyclones get dirt built up on them internally over time. As that happens, air flow declines and the machine loses effectiveness. I would like to complain to make myself feel better, and I will below, but the message that’s important to you is that Dyson vacuums require expensive maintenance, and you should factor that cost into your buying decision. I have a DC65, DC65 is the former name of this machine. My DC65 is still under warranty as I write this. Yet after spending an hour on the phone with Dyson customer service and dropping my Dyson off for a couple of days at my local Dyson service center, I’m told I would need to spend about $130 to disassemble and clean the cyclone and to replace the HEPA filter in order to restore this vacuum to its full effectiveness.

I remember part of my justification for buying this expensive machine was that Dyson claimed that with washable filters and cyclone technology there would be no ongoing costs after the initial purchase. But now Dyson customer service tells me spending nearly a hundred bucks to disassemble the cyclone is “routine maintenance” and not covered by warranty. BTW, just buying a new cyclone from Dyson is a couple bucks cheaper than having the old one serviced. Mine is not an unusual case. Google “clogged Dyson cyclones” and you’ll see a lot of videos featuring dirt packed internal cyclones. I’m a cautious consumer and I’m not used to falling for false claims. It makes me angry when I do. I decided not to throw good money after bad and bought a cheap bagged vacuum on Amazon for less than the price of fixing my Dyson. And when it clogs up, I’ll replace the bag for less than five bucks.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Extremely disappointed. While the power of the Dyson Big Ball "Multi-Floor" lives up to their ads, it would be wonderful if only the supposed self-adjusting height mechanism on the power bar actually worked on carpets and mats. To date, I have not had the ability to vacuum any of my carpets or mats since no: #1. It does not self-adjust from the flattest of mats to medium height carpet. The moment I put the head on literally 'any' carpet it stops dead; stuck on that spot regardless if pulling the lighter power lever; another issue.

#2. I do not believe anyone considered all the millions of seniors in the world with arthritic hands. Can you imagine having to constantly pull a lever with one finger as you vacuum? Not simple a switch or little door you open and that is that no. One must pull on it with the same hand as holding the handle the entire time and, #3. Even the floor tool has issues being it not only moves side to side, but for some reason also, up and down, meaning quite often the entire head is not flat on the floor and by-the-way, if bounced upwards will often remain in that position. Further, because of this up and down, basically turning any which way action, I cannot even use the floor tool on mats and carpets while I search for a replacement.

THESE RATHER IMPORTANT ISSUES LEAD TO THE OBVIOUS QUESTION: Is there a powerhead available that can be manually adjusted where I can actually utilize this expensive vacuum? I would appreciate a reply from anyone with that knowledge. This has been deeply disappointing having been displaced for 6 months due to a house / garage fire, returning home just two weeks ago and looking forward at least, to a powerful vacuum to clean up all the messes from the ongoing rebuild. Now I am stuck here unable to vacuum any carpets or mats at all but for a stick vac. Worse, because of that fire I've lost all kinds of contents including office contents, where of course, I filed my receipts. The vacuum is just three months old. I can tell you that. Thank you to anyone who has any knowledge of other Dyson powerheads.

Original review: May 23, 2019

We were initially very satisfied with our Dyson vacuum. However, when the brushbar stopped rotating after normal weekly vacuuming we became less satisfied with our purchase. We were able to have a new brushbar installed and the vacuum worked great for a period of time until the brushbar stopped rotating again. Since Dyson has retired this model the company no longer manufactures parts or provides services for our vacuum model. So, we are forced to purchase a new vacuum instead of inexpensively replacing the brushbar! The customer service representative offered to give us 20% off a new vacuum. What a scam to increase sales! We WILL have to buy another vacuum, but it WON’T be another Dyson! BEWARE! Those who own other models with a cord are likely to be facing the same situation! Dyson has announced they will only be making CORDLESS models. So, it’s likely they will quit offering replacement parts for other models.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I have had my Dyson for about 5 years. It worked great for maybe one year. The head of it stopped allowing it to rotate. I called customer service and after troubleshooting was told I needed to purchase a new head for the vacuum. I did and it worked again! But here I am again with the same exact issue and Dyson is telling me I need to purchase ANOTHER replacement part! The way I see it is I bought what was supposed to be an above the competition product but instead ended up with something that won’t clean my floors at all. Dyson is not a company that I will ever choose again.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Good but lacks a couple of features. The Dyson cordless would be improved with an on-off switch and/or a trigger guard so that you don't turn it on by mistake while changing the cleaning head or emptying the bin. Otherwise it is an excellent bit of technology.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Given the fact that we've owned a Dyson upright in the past (which we loved!) and my wife did her due diligence on the V8 Absolute prior to buying, we had high expectations. It was perfect for our new home since our floors are primarily reclaimed hardwood, and are largely uneven. Unfortunately after a few months, the unit started 'pulsating' (their term, not mine). Essentially it was not running steadily any longer. We've spent hours with Dyson on the phone cleaning filters, disassembling/cleaning/reassembling, replacing batteries, and---most recently---replacing the motor.

We were certain that the motor replacement would finally do the trick, but our optimism was quickly defeated. After 9 months of these efforts, our unit will only run steadily if we remove the filter entirely---exactly where we were originally. I am absolutely baffled as to why this problem continues, but Dyson needs to step up to the plate and replace our unit entirely. At this point in time, this is the worst $450 I've ever spent. The online reviews are generally good, so perhaps we just got a lemon. If that is the case, Dyson needs to make things right.

Original review: May 7, 2019

WARNING - WARNING - the ball wheel will BREAK OFF if pulled around wall corners and catches or catches on furniture. If left unrepaired, it will scratch hard surfaces. This has happened twice over 2 years [once by myself and the other time by a helper] and for a $700+ machine there is a design flaw in that The half spheres on either side of the units are held on by flimsy plastic fittings. Their selling ploy is “Steers easily around obstacles and follows without the awkward moves.” I suggest this is false advertising. Frank **. 7 May 2019.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I ordered a unit and for some reason they requested it be returned and a new unit sent out. I was taking the unit to my mountain home so would not be at this address after today so I canceled the order. Then I received a notice that I was suppose to take the new unit to a UPS location once it arrived. No one would be at that address as I told them. I am very upset they not only didn’t ship the product as promised, I also found out 10 min. before receiving the new order info that the attachments were going to be another 2 weeks. That was not explained when ordered and again no one would have been here to accept. DON’T BUY ONLINE. THEY ARE NOT ORGANIZED. But from a local dealer. At least then you might get what you ordered and paid for!!

Original review: May 2, 2019

Bought a V7 from Dyson directly. The tools from the previous model V6 don't work with the new model without an adapter...which was promised but after 2 weeks has not arrived. Have spent 30 minutes plus on hold with customer service but still no person. Previous calls were not helpful "sorry--out of stock..." Time to switch to another brand that's probably just as good and less expensive. Dyson has crappy customer service. I'm not happy.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I received the cordless vacuum as a gift on Christmas... Within 4 months it just stopped working. It will be plugged in but no longer charges. I called tech support as there is a 2 year warranty and it's got to be a malfunction, right?! After walking me through very scripted, basic questioning I was told that I need to replace the battery and it would be an additional $90. I cannot justify spending an additional $90 when my husband spent nearly $200 on it several months ago. After expressing outrage at the price, the customer service representative gave me an address of a Dyson technician in my area but basically told me that they will charge me for a new battery too and I'm out of luck. Please do not make the same mistake we did - buy something else!! I will NEVER buy another Dyson product.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I purchased my Dyson 360 Eye a year and a half ago. Overall, it ran okay. I contacted them about 5 months in that the beater bar was losing the bristles. They sent out a replacement brush. 5 more months pass and the robot was exhibiting strange behavior (It would get off of the dock and move a few feet away. It would then power off.) I pulled the battery several times which it would help for a few days. I also noticed that the beater bar was starting to lose bristles (again). I contact support. (I am still under warranty.) They said that the robot isn't be produced anymore, and I could opt for a full refund, or an exchange. I opted for the refund. They asked for the receipt, which I sent in. They said since it wasn't an authorized seller, that they could only exchange it for something else. I replied that I will take the V11, plus a few other goodies to equal what I paid ($800.00). They said they could only exchange for 1 item.

I am livid at this point! I then gave in and said I will take the V11 Torque. They ship me the item. I get it charged up and it seems okay. I follow the instructions in how to clean the high-torque beater bar. The plastic cover separates from the beater bar! I am unable to remove the beater bar from the housing (Which you are supposed to do). I contact support and I sent them the serial # and the photo showing the defective part. They reply that they are out of stock of the beater bar, and would need to send me a complete replacement unit. I reply that I will be out of a vacuum for 2-3 weeks again! ! This is too much! Dyson, you can keep your products on YOUR side of the Pond, thank you! You got your payment from my 360 Eye, and have swindled money out of me due to not purchasing it from an authorized seller.

Original review: April 27, 2019

This review is more about the Dyson return policy for vacuum bought from their stores. You need to call customer care to get a number that you can provide in UPS store. Yes there is no shipping label to drop it off. UPS will then pack it and send it over to their warehouse. No customer rep tells you that you have to come back and report the tracking number so that they can attach it to your return tracking. Only after then it takes minimum 8 weeks before they refund the money. In my case the overall process took over 12 weeks and still no refund. After multiple follow up with customer representative in vain, I had to do a dispute on my credit card and wait another two months before that dispute became permanent. One of the best product with a terrible return policy.

Original review: April 24, 2019

We purchased the vacuum directly from Dyson in Dec 2018. We assembled it in January 2019. From the jump, the vacuum had problems. It was not light to maneuver, quite the opposite, it was like pushing a lead sled. And the brush kept stopping and not to mention the stink that smelled like something about to catch fire in the vacuum. Called customer support (had to scour the web for the number to even talk with a human because the number on their website for support does not allow you to talk with anyone only to request a call back) and no joy there at all. No offer to refund our money. No offer to just send us another one and pick up the broken unit. All of this after the unit being used less than 10 times. Great marketing. Terrible and support. Find another company. We're taking our loss and moving on.

Original review: April 22, 2019

The vacuum is great. The customer service is terrible. After 5 phone calls averaging 40 minutes each, they have promised a replacement part and upgraded the promise to a new vacuum since they no longer have the old one which was purchased in December 2018, they still have not delivered. I have never experienced this much lying or wasted this much of my time as I have with Dyson reps. Do not believe what they tell you on the phone. They lie. And then lie again. And then again. And then again. And after the 5th time, I am finally giving up.

Original review: April 19, 2019

We have owned our 'Animal' for just under 5 years, and as a vacuum it performs quite remarkably well and is very light in weight. We have two Golden Retrievers who contribute in a significant way to the vacuum getting a very good workout. I guess one might say that all the 'animals' work well together! However, like all tools and gadgets, there will always be ways to make improvements.

One particular shortcoming that we have discovered, and I have pointed this out on several occasions to Dyson personnel, with very mixed responses, is the way the small carrier wheels on the turbine head keep falling off. What happens is dust and hair accumulates around the spindle/axle of these small wheels and pops the wheels off. My suggestion to staff was to redesign these wheels such that they could be removed for cleaning. As they are, it is a friction fit that, after they have come off several times, can no longer be re-installed. Staff response, as I said has been varied, ranging from replacing the power turbine head (under warranty) at least 5 times, to telling me that I don't clean my vacuum properly after use, to providing me a link to the Dyson store where I can purchase a new head. None of these solutions as put forward address the problem.

The last time the turbine powerhead was replaced (under warranty), the wheels had come off within a week of using it...and our home is only a small, 2-bedroom bungalow. As to my not maintaining the unit and cleaning it after use, I spend as much time cleaning my vacuum as I do vacuuming with it! Conclusion is that responding personnel do not pass on information, and some personnel need instruction in public relations. This product could be quite good with a minor redesign of a small part, but no one listens. A proactive, responsible, and sincere company would listen to customer feedback.

Original review: April 17, 2019

These vacuums are not worth the large price tag. After about a year mine basically fell apart. It was still under warranty but I had to go without a vacuum for 2 weeks! Then the hose split up the middle and Dyson said it was normal wear and tear. I'll never buy another one.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I will preface this by saying I love Dyson products and own 5 of them. HOWEVER trying to purchase replacement filters 6+ contacts: Failed order, shipping issue, cancelled order, replacement order, refund and free product replacement - 3 weeks and still no filters. Their customer service is not like their products, James Dyson would be horrified. I now have two very expensive filter fans that I can't use because they won't supply the filters. I was going to purchase a new vacuum - now I'm seriously reconsidering.

Original review: March 31, 2019

They stand by their products. Anything on my vacuum that has broken is quickly replaced. No charge. Worth the cost on customer service alone. Vacuum works great, and no cord is so easy! I will always buy Dyson.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I purchased a $400 air purifier three months ago directly from Dyson. It is supposed to have a two year warranty. I called Dyson yesterday because my unit started sounding like a helicopter. They said they would set up and exchange. Then they said that they did not have any of the color/model that was the same as mine. What they offered was a air purifier/heater (which I don’t need or want the heat) that is HALF the size and power of my unit. I find this to be totally unacceptable. If they cannot replace the unit with the same model, and if they don’t have that model then replace it with the newer generation of the model I purchased, otherwise I feel I am entitled to a complete refund. They would not agree to that. This is a horrible company that makes beautiful products that just don’t last. Their customer service is terrible. You can never get through without having to wait at least 1/2 hr, and then they make these horrible bait and switch replacement offers.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Bought vacuum 5 months ago and have already had to call Dyson 3 times as it is not working. Initially told me it was an issue with the stick even when I queried if it was the battery as someone I know who bought the same vacuum at the same time had that issue. They assured me it wasn't and that Dyson has not had issues with this vacuum battery. Called second time with the same issue. Told it was because I needed to clean out the filter even though a second person I knew also needed a new battery. They once again assured me it was a clogged filter. Now it doesn't charge at all. Dyson told me I needed a new battery and the cost would be 80.00. After I fought that charge they said they would send me a new one but it would take 2 weeks to arrive. I am tremendously disappointed in this company and would never recommend buying one again.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I bought the vacuum about a year ago and it was fantastic at being cordless but for cleaning it's ok. As to pick up any kind of dirt properly you need to put it on max power which lasts a dismal 7 min and the high suction power mode is way too weak. It also takes a really long time to charge which is extremely inconvenient. But just last week it broke whereby it would continuously pulsate (turn on and off) and now it just doesn’t work altogether. Quite dissatisfied and I’ve called customer service and they said an engineer would call me and I still haven’t got anything back yet. Don’t buy this as it's quite unreliable and annoying after a year or two.

Dyson Vacuums expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.

• Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.

• Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.

• Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.

• Best for: Dyson's powerful vacuums are good options for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs