3.9/5 (585 ratings)

About Dyson Vacuums

Dyson Vacuums Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

Short battery life in middle speed and turbo may last less than 5 minutes. Air cleaner takes 3 days to dry not like company says 24hrs. Just does not perform as advertised and the chance of getting a return phone call or email is zero. It has been over 45 days and I have emailed 3 times and NO Contact.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

In December I purchased 4 items from Dyson Online totaling over $1200. The items sent to me were defective, not as described, missing parts and even worse left in the rain by the carrier. When I engaged customer support I was tossed around for weeks to get help, refunds or returns. I engaged the corporate office, the executive team and even Dyson support with no resolve. I was given tons of excuses for long delays on helping me, no offers to return products for money back or discounts or even options.

For what I was given the provider Dyson never provided correct refunds, or good service. In many conversations with the resolution specialist, they would tell me because my items were discounted that they can't go further on pricing because their retailers have special pricing and it would anger them, as if it was something I was buying when instead it was defective, missing parts, not as described, damaged and worse not working. When asking for refunds or returns they are beyond difficult. They have received items back from me however took weeks to give a refund after asking for it on only one item, then the refund was wrong, and still pending.

I still have broken items, no resolve, no calls back. They offered one refund well below what it should be for all the damage, missing pieces and terrible service. I engaged them in Dec and it's not Jan with no resolve, broken items, missing parts, no refunds and people in the executive team who don't reply, call back or help. In some cases, they even just ignore you then blame it on technology or backlog. Companies 5x the size have executives talk to customers. I am working with all parts of complaints to make sure Dyson doesn't do this to other customers. I do not recommend their products, their services and you will not get help from customer service, their executive team and you're just a number. I will never buy or work with Dyson again.

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2022

Bought a Dyson V11 Torque Drive about two years ago. Taken very good care to clean and properly use the vacuum. The canister and filters are cleaned regularly, driveshaft and cleaner head are clear of debris. Suddenly, the vacuum stopped working just as I was using it today to clean the carpet in my home which was not that dirty! I contacted customer service for help and they walked me through several steps to troubleshoot that I had already done to ensure the vacuum was working properly. Did not listen to anything I was saying and was treated like just another number.

Finally was notified that I was going to have to spend more money to find out what is wrong with my Dyson v11. Then would have to pay for repair and labor to have the vacuum working again. All because I had just passed the two-year mark and am no longer able to be considered for warranty. Customer service is no help! Then asked to speak with the supervisor just to be reminded that the warranty has expired. I spend $650 on a vacuum just to have it completely break just after the warranty expires! Dyson is a company that makes products to break and designs their vacuums to fail just after the warranty expires so that they do not have to be liable for repairs and will be able to make extra money on new parts and technician fees that are charged to the customer.

I will never buy a Dyson vacuum again and will be sure to discourage anyone who is considering one to purchase another vacuum. It is outrageous and unacceptable for a company to advertise superior products which only break just after the warranty and charge customers a price such as the ones that Dyson does. Dyson needs to be investigated for scamming customers and needs its manufacturing audited for cutting corners on product integrity and quality of the product. I demand a full $650 refund of my product and expect nothing less since repairing a product is too much for them to accommodate.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

Purchased a Ball Animal 3 and it was non functional on arrival. I watched YouTube videos and reread the manual to make certain I had everything correctly assembled before calling support. Upon talking to support, they walked me through the manual again, then sent me a YouTube video of how to troubleshoot the Animal 2, which has a completely different brush head. When I mentioned that the rep got snippy with me and told me it was the same. It's not.

After going through the steps they determined the device was defective and were going to initiate an exchange. I asked to talk to a more knowledge service person and they refused. The return label they sent did not include pickup service from UPS, and there's no dropoff within 30 minutes of where I live. Now I've got to spend my own time and money to take care of their issue. $500 to be treated like a courier for Dyson. Nope.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

My mother has a stick Dyson vac. I have to take it apart every two month to try to clean all the stuff out of it. I ordered her a new head for it but asked before ordering if this unit was not correct could it be returned without shipping fees. They said there would be no fees and emailed me a copy of this chat. Then got the head and it was not what was required so I emailed again and the their employee assured me there would be no charge to return just print label and leave for carrier. I did that then nightmare started.

I waited two weeks and nothing not even confirming they picked up the item. Called them and they had no record of the return. Then spent three days on their chat line with people located in some other country. Had to sent them a pic of the guy picking it up. After three weeks they found the item had been returned but could not post my return for four more weeks. After multiple contacts they posted my return in full as they said. Checked and the company despite telling me no charged do so anyway and kept the cash. Then spent hours on the chat line and sent them the documents which stated there would be no charges from Dyson and they said, "Oh well we are going to charge you anyway because that is our policy."

So I am on the phone with someone from Honduras for an hour who is working from home and can not contact a manager to speak with. Poor guy sounds nice but what terrible service. Stay away from his company. Their products are higher priced items with less than good results based on the breakdowns we have had and poor customer service is an understatement. Get something else with less hassle.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

I bought a V8 Absolute and when the bin was under half full and I stood it upright the dirt just fell straight back out. The flap that's meant to keep it in is too small.

Dyson sent me a new bin and of course the dirt fell out again. The machine itself is only 4 months old and now Dyson want me to send the whole machine back for a service. To me that would be a complete waste of time I don't have, the fault is in the design. The v8 absolute is a waste of money and I think I've had by Dyson. They also offered me a new much more expensive machine with a discount, but no refund on the $600 machine I bought only 4 months earlier. I'm quite disgusted with their tactics. I will be posting similar reviews on every site I can find to warn people about Dyson. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

Ordered an in-stock replacement part, which after 2 weeks, still hasn't shipped. The status is "waiting". Contacted customer service via email...no response. Called & spoke with a rep who said he would cancel the order & send me an email when it was done... No email ever came. I called again... They said it was showing as cancelled & they'd send me the confirmation in an email.... The email never arrived. Chatted with them today, more of the same. They told me that the charge to my account didn't go thru because it hadn't shipped, but it did. I then had to call them back to request my refund and had to ask them to put thru the credit to my bank. They then agreed to but told me it would take 7-10 days to process. This is just all ridiculous and complete waste of my time.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

After multiple failed attempts trying to return my Dyson, I began to realize that this company seemed to prioritize acquiring new customers over supporting their existing ones. Their online forms were faulty, and their customer service channels had technical issues. Even when I did finally get in touch with a representative, they claimed that their system was not working properly.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

I spent a fortune on a fancy Dyson. The bristles on the roller bar got worn. It should be no big deal to order a new one, right? WRONG. Dyson no longer makes the part and now wants me to buy a whole new motor assembly to fit the new part. NEVER BUYING ANOTHER DYSON PRODUCT. My next will be a Shark.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

The customer service at Dyson is horrible. I previously purchased the TP09 for a client in May, they had an issue and I had to call into customer service so they could use the warranty. The customer service rep at the time informed me that I ordered the product incorrectly and I should have ordered it as a gift through customer service so my client could register it.

I kept this in mind when purchasing another TP09 for an out of state client. I called the customer service # (866) 664-9004 on 9/29/2022. It took 3 mins for the rep to get my name and address. I let her know that I had a meeting in 15 minutes and implied that should be sufficient time to place my order. I also asked for a domestic representative because I could tell it was going to take a while with her. She advised me no domestic representative was available but she would get the item ordered in the requested 15 mins. 23 minutes later the product was still not ordered, she had to keep placing me on hold. I had to disconnect to attend a previously scheduled client meeting. While she was polite, it should not take over 20 mins to place an order for one item.

I called back the next day (9/30/2022), after this rep couldn't find my account after 5 mins I asked for a supervisor. After holding for about 20 mins she said a supervisor wasn't available, she took my phone # and said a supervisor would call me back. That was 5 days ago and I still haven't received a call back. After being thoroughly frustrated with calling customer service, spending over 40 minutes between both calls and the TP09 still not ordered I decided to try the Dyson Chat option. I thought this would be a much better option. The rep was responsive, I was very clear that I was ordering the product as a gift, provided both the mailing address and billing address and it was all wrapped up fairly quickly. I then received an email advising that my client cannot register the product as it will void the warranty. This doesn't make any sense as I was very clear from the beginning that it was being ordered as a gift. Thoroughly frustrated.

Dyson Vacuums author review by Sandy Baker

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.

• Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.

• Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.

• Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.

by Sandy Baker Contributing Writer

Sandy Baker has written for ConsumerAffairs since 2021. Along with the advice and information her articles provide to consumers, she’s written several books that focus on topics such as retirement planning, bankruptcy, business finance, estate planning and personal credit health.

Dyson Vacuums Company Information