3.09/5
Based on 226 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Dyson Vacuums Reviews

605 Dyson Vacuums Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I purchased the Dyson V8 Animal cordless vacuum less than 2 years ago. I have two dogs, and I wanted a vacuum that would pick up the dogs' hair on my hardwood floors, area rugs, couch and steps. This vacuum worked well for about a year, but now it shuts down after just a short time. I have contacted Dyson several times, and they do indeed always get back to me; they recommend that I clean the storage cup and filters, which I do regularly.

Now Dyson requests that I send my vacuum back to them for repair, after I have sent them at least a dozen emails and a video of the vacuum shutting down during use. I don't have the time to send any more emails to Dyson, nor am I willing to bring my vacuum to UPS for repairs since then I will not have a vacuum to use at home. I will purchase another brand of vacuum instead. This Dyson V8 Animal vacuum was not inexpensive, and I am extremely disappointed in its performance, and I will not purchase any Dyson products in the future.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I am reporting an injury I sustained from my Dyson big ball multi floor vacuum which I've had for 9 months. This is the second incident of this kind which I did not report. The first time involved my right forearm from the same manner as described below. I have a faint scar from that incident. Today again as I was vacuuming in the most traditional fashion, my right upper arm was pinched in-between the elbow joint of the hose to the point of extreme pain and spontaneous bruising measuring 1/2"x1.5". If I had not released the hose as it was crimping my flesh, my arm would have severe damage causing broken skin and bleeding.

Anybody with a bleeding disorder or on blood thinners should avoid this type of vacuum as it can happen to anyone at any time while performing a routine task in the home. As it just happened today I will monitor it for signs of increased hematoma, swelling, inflammation and possible infection. I will take ** if the pain doesn't subside and I'll put a cold compress on it to reduce the inflammation. I cannot return the vacuum and I paid over $500.00 for it. I have hesitations about using the vacuum but unfortunately I need it as part of my household chores.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Dyson DC41 Animal - Bought Christmas of '13, to suck yellow lab hair off tile floor. Paid 400, on sale, within a few months the head was broken and had to get a new one, they were good with that transaction. Forward to today the motor is now shot according to them, useless and rude on the phone, said we could get 20% off a new Dyson, remember the sale??? Probably the same price. So to sum it up, $ 400, breaks down to $100 per yr, I'm guessing I'll go with a $90 vacuum for as long as it lasts (got to be a year right?) And then buy a new 90$ vacuum.

Original review: July 26, 2018

My wife cannot even use this machine and I, at 185 pounds, have to stop and rest often when using this machine. Very, very difficult to push forward. I may just take it out and throw it in a dumpster and go buy something else. This small ball machine isn't even 6 months old and I have had it. This is a piece of junk.

Original review: July 25, 2018

We've had the Dyson V6 Slim for 2 1/2 years and the battery no longer holds enough charge to run 4 1/2 minutes in normal mode and a measly 25 seconds in MAX mode. What's worse is the Dyson support expecting me to shell out $89.99 for a new battery as the warranty for such a "premium" brand is conveniently 2 years. They offered me a 20% discount towards a new machine (which excludes the new models Pure Cool HEPA, V10, 360 Eye, and Supersonic). No thanks! Needless to say I won't be purchasing a Dyson product again and will share this experience with my friends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Original review: July 24, 2018

The soleplate on my vacuum broke off. I placed an order for a new one and received email order confirmation and told I would receive another email when shipped. After 2 weeks when I hadn't heard I called them. I was told the item was initially out of stock and order in limbo. She said the item was now in stock. She would replace the order and ship it out. I received an email confirming the order. Another two weeks pass. I call again. Am told the item is out of stock. I ask why they didn't let me know? Why was I told it was in stock and on its way two weeks ago.

We went round and round. I asked when it was expected back in stock and would it be sent. She didn't know. Suggested waiting a few more weeks and trying again. I asked for a supervisor. I was disconnected. I had given her my phone number and she had my email. No one called back or emailed. I was too exhausted to start over. Later I tried the chat feature. They said I could drive two hours round trip to a store. No thanks. Said they would look into this. I doubt it. I'm so disgusted with this Company. I will never buy another Dyson. I have two. Beware. They have horrible customer service. If I don't hear back in a week it's going in the garbage. I'm done.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Dyson has terrible customer service. I need a part from them because their product (Dyson V6) doesn't work. They will eventually send the part but they state they ship within 10-15 business days. Their product is faulty, I spent 100's of dollars and I might be able to use my vacuum in a few weeks to a month. I will never buy anything from them again. I am a repeat customer but this is the final straw. Really? What am I supposed to use while I wait weeks for the new battery? I guess they expect me to go buy another Dyson. However, I'll be buying myself a Shark that is actually worth the money.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I'd like to know if there's any rectification for my Dyson Animal II purchase, that is sadly barely just a year old (Purchased 05/08/2017). It clogs after each use (yes I clean it spotless after each use) and leaves hair behind (to where I religiously have to rewash the floor in order to pick up the pet hair left behind). The bristle compartment needs to be oiled Continuously (as it revving/pulsating on and off) and the solution is to take apart the bristle compartment and oil it. Doing this After Each Use is a bit much for a vacuum that cost. What Can You Do To Stand By Your Product!!!! I have 46 months left on this vacuum. Serial Number TJ7-US-JBA6923A.

Original review: July 11, 2018

While the three Dysons I've owned over 7 years have worked very well when new, they are not very reliable. The last one, and Animal 41, the brush bar quit working. I purchased a new brush bar set, then that didn't work. I replaced all the power and reset switches...still nothing. This is too expensive a vacuum not to last more than 2-3 years. We're switching brands and I'm off the Dyson band-wagon from now on. We will pay good money for a good vacuum...now on the search for what that brand is.

Original review: July 9, 2018

For some reason Dyson seems to get away with claiming that they are superior to all other vacuum companies and people should be happy about paying a HUGE premium to own a "Dyson". But after owning two different units that have both failed for different reasons one within 3 years and the other within 6 months, I firmly believe they are all style and NO substance. Specifically referring to the V6 Cord Free Stick vacuum that I purchased 6 months ago. Dyson thinks it is completely acceptable for the rechargeable battery that came with the unit to die after six months and after spending $300 on this glorified dust buster, I should expect to go out and purchase a new $75-$90 battery for it.

Well, they finally said as a "courtesy" they would try to locate a new battery from one of their service centers and send it to me, but they aren't sure how long that will take, at least 7-10 business days if they can find one, possibly longer if they have to wait for it to come back into stock at their headquarters. How nice for me. So, in the meantime, while I cannot use this wonderful stick vacuum that was supposed to replace ALL other vacuums in the house, and it did, I have nothing to vacuum with.

And do you think they would be so kind as to extend the overall two-year warranty for the time I can't actually USE the vacuum while waiting for the battery? Of course not, because after all, the battery isn't covered under the warranty... In summary, Dyson is a company that does great advertising, but their sleek looking products are junk that they won't stand behind and they are full of excuses when they break. I will NOT be swindled into buying another Dyson ever again.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have had a Dyson for 4 months when it stopped picking up anything. I cleaned everything, filters, canister... Still does not pick up my dog hair (it is advertised for pets) or anything else. It was 300.00... Go buy something good like a Shark.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I purchased the new V10 cordless vacuum from Dyson.com on June 22, 2018. By purchasing from their website I was able to select 3 additional attachments for free. I received a confirmation email showing what I had purchased and stating I would receive another email once the product has shipped. I verified there was a pending payment on my credit card so I waited. After 5 business days I still had not received a shipping email so I checked my credit card account only to find the charge had disappeared.

I sent an email to Dyson inquiring about my purchase. I was informed the order was processing so I replied asking for an approximate shipping date. Shortly after my response I received a shipping confirmation for the additional attachments I had selected. (When submitting the original order it was stated that the attachments would be shipped separately).

I started thinking since the V10 was new maybe the hold up was they were out of stock, however, I received an email response with the shipping policy attached stating the issue was they do not ship to an APO. We have an APO address because my husband works for the military and we live overseas which is considered a US address. Not all companies will ship to an APO even though it's considered a US address so when ordering online I verify this type of address is acceptable. I did verify their shipping policy yet missed where they don't ship to an APO and yes, that's my fault for missing it.

I made the initial mistake about the address... The problem is my address was accepted as ok for shipping and it took my inquiring about why it had not shipped more than 10 business days after purchase before being told they don't ship to an APO. Worse yet, I've got attachments on the way for a vacuum that can't be shipped here. Yes, I made the mistake missing the info about not shipping to an APO but from the beginning, I should have not been able to place the order. Other websites will flag the address so it's fair to expect I should have been flagged the moment my address was submitted. The confusing part is how the attachments were shipped.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I bought the cordless upright last year and I've had every single part replaced. Every time I used it I got electric shocks. Dyson said that's normal so my battery died out a few times due to this shock. They won't replace anything for me, very bad customer service! Don't buy the cordless because I have 2 corded vacuums from them and I've never had a problem!

Original review: June 9, 2018

The plastic motor housing cracked on our vacuum within the warranty period. I sent in photos and warranty information. Dyson's response to the warranty claim is that this would be considered damage to the machine because the machine is extremely durable. This seems to be faulty logic and circular reasoning. There is no evidence of impact damage on the housing. Everyone in our home who uses the machine says they have NOT had an accident that caused the casing to crack. I think that we are fairly careful with this vacuum. So far, Dyson has not shown any interest in inspecting the machine. Hopefully we can move past this initial problem with communication.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I have had a Dyson DC-44 Animal vacuum for years and it's been great but now it will not suck because of a rubber gasket at the top of the cyclone unit that has through the years worn out and cracked and fell into pieces. I contact Dyson support and they said that the gasket is part of the cyclone unit and can't be purchased by itself. Why would I want to spent $40 for a $2 gasket and they don't even have that part to sell you. Talk about bad customer service. This is a gasket that is replaceable and yet they can't stock it to send out. Am I the only customer that has had this happen. Well for a $2 part Dyson has lost my business and I will tell others about this.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I love this Dyson vacuum. It does a great job of cleaning and has held up very well. Lightweight, swivels and gets to places easily. It is extremely easy to empty, clean filters, add accessory pieces etc.

Original review: June 2, 2018

This is a very functional vacuum. We also like how the vacuum has been designed that makes it easy to use. We have had this cleaner for over 10 yrs. Now with no loss in cleaning power.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I recently had an issue with a ball floor vacuum that included a grinding noise and an electrical burning smell. I called Dyson customer support, troubleshooted, and send the vacuum in for repairs. It came back with the issue unresolved. I called again, was informed my issue wasn't properly communicated and sent to Paramus, NJ, where they're unable to fix my specific problem. I was then given a new UPS code that would send my vacuum to another facility that could fix this problem. When I went to UPS, the code didn't work.

When I called again, they said the notes from the previous call had the vacuum going back to Paramus, again. I then got another code and the vacuum then went... somewhere. It came back again, un-repaired. Are the people in customer service at this company ok? Does anyone at Dyson do their job? I get more customer service from my local McDonald's, and my chicken nuggets aren't costing me $200+. Get your ** together, Dyson. I'm getting a Hoover.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Dyson is the most powerful vacuum I have ever used. It is truly amazing. The downside is that it is heavy and difficult to maneuver. It is an investment that I'm sure will last for a very long time. But using it is a workout every time.

Original review: May 31, 2018

This vacuum cleaner is just fabulous and does what it says on the adverts. It's easy to use and empty, light and picks up really great. I really would recommend.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have a Dyson upright. The attachments are cheesy, the hose is clumsy to use, and it's all plastic. I laughed when my sister said she took her year old Dyson to a resale store just to get rid of it. I should have listened to her. I would not have bought it in the first place if BB&B didn't have it on sale and I had a 20% discount coupon.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We had an excellent Hoover Vacuum, but moved to a three story in Germany with spider issues as well as floors to do. The Dyson portable was much more capable in covering the whole house without concern for plugs. It also handles both our current 220V as well as 110V. It looks good, easy to dump, I haven't had to look at filters yet.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Dyson has poor suction and poor beater bar. We recently purchased a new Shark vacuum so we vacuumed our living room carpet with the Dyson and after we finished we vacuumed the same carpet with the Shark and it was unbelievable. All the dust the Shark picked up that the Dyson left behind!! So we will no longer use the Dyson!!

Original review: May 27, 2018

Bought the handheld battery operated vacuum mainly to use on my carpeted steps. This vacuum is extremely heavy & almost impossible to use because you have to constantly keep your finger on the on switch. After 2 uses I stopped using it.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Dyson Vacuum is too expensive with too short a battery life. I bought product specifically for cleaning hardwood floors and picking up pet hair. Does poor job.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Vacuum is easy to maneuver around furniture and is not heavy, cleans extremely well, and is easy to maintain. Would recommend a Dyson -- good for cleaning up when you have pets.

Original review: May 24, 2018

It is light enough to get my younguns to vacuum now without a fight. And I love all the attachments, ease of emptying and being cordless. But I am a little disappointed in the suction comparing it with the air powered hand dryers I see also by Dyson. The suction is really no better than a good tank vacuum. It is also pricey but I would recommend it. Household cleaning just got a little easier.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Used Dyson's website for new vacuum, used the Amazon pay button. Address on shipping label at Dyson's end cut-off important info. Unit was returned to Dyson, refund was issued, but had to wait three business days before money would be back in account. I was only offered $50, some accessories I didn't want, and "free" expedited shipping for my wasted time (over three hours between Dyson and UPS) and inconvenience.

Original review: May 22, 2018

This is for the Dyson cordless "Fluffy". I have a small 2-story condo (1200 sq ft) that is fully tiled. Initially it worked well and I could vacuum the entire condo and stairs with a single charge, but after less than 2 years the charge will barely last through the downstairs area. I liked the performance (as long as it would stay charged), and ease of use and handling, but I would not purchase another.

Original review: May 21, 2018

We bought our first Dyson more than a decade ago and never looked back. With a houseful of animals we wanted something bagless, powerful, maneuverable and efficient. We now have several, one for every floor (why climb stairs with a vacuum?) including one of the handy-dandy smaller cordless models.

Dyson Vacuums expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.

• Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.

• Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.

• Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.

• Best for: Dyson's powerful vacuums are good options for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Chicago
IL
www.dyson.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business