3.04/5

Dyson Vacuums Reviews

615 Dyson Vacuums Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My vacuum never worked for more than 10 minutes at a time (bought July 31, 2018) and stopped entirely on Oct 5. I called 2 days in a row (no call back as promised first day) to be told that a replacement would be sent in 1-2 business days. I'm a week later and still nothing has even been shipped. I've had multiple email exchanges with different stories each time. Terrible product and terrible service.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I bought a Dyson Animal Hair vac 10-12-17 from Costco as it was on sale for $100 off and I’d heard that it was a wonderful vac. In the past, we’ve always had Hoover vacs but Dyson vacs seem to be popular. All-in-all, wish I’d bought a Hoover! Issues: For months, the two piece handle pinched my hand; seemed to magically stop after about 9 months. Stairs are difficult to vacuum by hand; they were much easier using our old Hoover moving it stair to stair while in upright position. Often it needs several passes to pick up a piece of wool fuzzy. When putting the handle back to the upright, locked position it often clicks but falls back down when I let go; it needs to be solidly put back. The tiny little wheels leave marks in the carpet. A noise developed in the brush head after 7 or 8 months.

I delayed contacting Dyson because in the past, I’ve found that dealing with many customer service reps can be a prolonged, frustrating experience. Dyson was bad. After emailed them about the noisy brush head, they emailed back some instructions on how to remove and clean the head, which I did with no improvement. Then they had me again remove the head and clean hoses leading to it (why couldn’t they have had me do that the first time!). When that didn’t work, at their expense they wanted me to ship it back to them for repair for who knows how long.

I protested that we needed it to keep our house clean. Their response was to borrow one. After letting them know that wasn’t acceptable, they gave me the name of a local repair shop in Tacoma where we took it. The brush head was replaced and it works as before now. It was obvious it was the brush head from the beginning but the reps obviously don’t care or don't have any expertise on repairs (and probably responded to me with canned emails). I wish I’d bought a Hoover!

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

If you are a pet owner do not buy this vacuum!! I bought mine in February,18 and in October,18 it broke. The repair center voided my warranty saying I used it incorrectly because I was vacuuming every day due to a flea problem. That this vacuum wasn't designed for everyday use, they also went on to tell me how fragile the cyclone was and that I should have been cleaning before I vacuumed. What is the point of the vacuum then? If something is marketed as a pet vacuum how can it be so fragile? Pets are rough. They shed, create dirt, and spill things.

Dyson does not stand by their products and will say or do anything to get out of helping you. They are extremely unethical. A vacuum marketed for pets should be able to handle the dirt they bring in and the hair they create, and a little bit of flea powder should not void your warranty. Again what is the point of a vacuum designed for pets if it can not handle the mess pets create. It's a marketing scam to sell a piece of junk they will not back up for an insanely high price! Buyer Beware!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I purchased a DC34 Animal handheld vacuum (small size unit) and within a month, with basic light usage, the motorized power head failed. I thought it would fall under the warranty but apparently it didn't (what??). Dyson was good and replaced the power head free of charge this first time, which was exactly what they should have done. 3 months later, the power head has failed again. I'm shocked at the quality of these units that have both failed with light usage. Even the suction power of these units is disappointing. I'm not going to pay to have another replacement unit. I don't recommend this device!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Dyson plastic is cheap low quality made in China plastic. Dyson handheld cost a TON of money - I bought it for the quality! I was a sucker. The handheld totally destroys the battery in MAX mode - 2-3 minutes - never the quoted 8 minutes. The charging cord and charging port are flimsy and now require various wiggling and finagling to get it to charge. Unit never holds a full charge. Never more than the 10 minutes out of the 30 quoted. Videos online also show how these are nearly impossible to disassemble and repair due to tons of one-way clips. Dyson doesn't stand by their products - they mock you on the phone for even trying to make anything a warranty issues. They are very, very rude on the phone. The replacement parts are laughably expensive. A $200 handheld vacuum is like $400 in replacement parts! These vacuums are cheap, made in China, low quality and Dyson doesn't stand by their products.

James Dyson is a greedy disgusting billionaire worth 5 billion selling faulty Chinese plastic vacuums. James Dyson hates his customers and only cares about money. Dyson's Airblade systems in the airports you see now have been proven to aerosolize germs, viruses and other pathogens. It is unsafe to dry with a Dyson Airblade, the old system of soap and water + paper towel was much more sanitary! Anyways I will never solicit this disgusting company or "man" James Dyson again. Be warned and always get a 3rd party warranty when buying the low quality China made garbage products if you decide to!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Purchased this in May of 2017. The house is 90% hard woods and we use the vacuum in the carpeted master bedroom only. Fired it up and the soleplate just blew a part. The plastic is brittle and cheap quality. Dyson says they will not cover it. If you have to have this vacuum, not recommended, then buy an extended warranty from a third-party. My advice, buy another brand that stands behind their products.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have the Dyson handheld cordless model. Right now it works great, but I am having nerve pains running down my inner thumb. I use my vacuum every day, so I know it is causing the problem. I have used ** but I am afraid it will get in my eyes so I stopped using it. It has something to do with the fact that you have to hold the handle and at the same time keep your hand on the trigger to get it to operate. All I can say is the pain is awful. I will probably end up going to the doctors if it doesn't get any better. I like the way it picks up, but I don't like the pain in my thumb. I will probably have to purchase a new vacuum, which I don't want to do at the present time. This vacuum is very expensive so they need to develop a way you don't have to constantly hold the trigger.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

First time buy something directly at Dyson.com last September 7. Until now no updates. I have not received any tracking information and to make it worst, I can no longer view my account at Dyson.com. I tried resetting my password, but it did not work. I called several times and the representatives are rude (except for one, her name was Niaira), I was being asked to call customer service when I try logging in at Dyson.com but the customer service representative who answered the phone said that I need to WRITE AN EMAIL TO QUESTIONS@DYSON.COM!!! Horrible experience. I was able to log in at the Dyson Link app to view and control my purifier though. I regret buying Dyson Products. I have a V6, V10, a Dyson Pure Cool Link Tower, Dyson AM07 and the Dyson Supersonic Hairdryer.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Dyson Cyclone V10 Absolute: I was surprised to purchase such an expensive Dyson to have the battery fully charge only work on maximum suction for about 30 min. Excellent vacuum and suction, my only complaint is doesn't last very long. If you need to clean the entire house, you better clean it in pieces, let the battery charge for a few hours then continue. In my opinion, the vacuum is not worth over 700.00 which includes tax. Won't purchase another cordless Dyson.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I'm writing this review regarding the refurbished DC59 that we received in the mail as a solution to our problem with our cordless vacuum that began over a month ago. We mailed in our machine to have the battery replaced. As well as the battery being replaced, they replaced the canister which had a different connection to the stick that we had at home. (We were told that the battery was the only issue so the canister did not need to be replaced in the first place.)

As a solution a new stick was mailed to us, but then our original brush didn’t attach to that stick. As a solution to this problem, I was told I would get a NEW machine mailed. Well, it was refurbished and it isn’t the same vacuum!! Our original vacuum brush measured 9&7/8 inches long by 4&3/4 inches wide. Our refurbished vacuum that we received is much smaller measuring 8&1/4 inches long by 4 inches wide. We went a month without our vacuum and yet to have the machine we were promised. Dyson customer support is lacking and we are severely dissatisfied with the customer service we have received.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I purchased the Dyson V8 Animal cordless vacuum less than 2 years ago. I have two dogs, and I wanted a vacuum that would pick up the dogs' hair on my hardwood floors, area rugs, couch and steps. This vacuum worked well for about a year, but now it shuts down after just a short time. I have contacted Dyson several times, and they do indeed always get back to me; they recommend that I clean the storage cup and filters, which I do regularly.

Now Dyson requests that I send my vacuum back to them for repair, after I have sent them at least a dozen emails and a video of the vacuum shutting down during use. I don't have the time to send any more emails to Dyson, nor am I willing to bring my vacuum to UPS for repairs since then I will not have a vacuum to use at home. I will purchase another brand of vacuum instead. This Dyson V8 Animal vacuum was not inexpensive, and I am extremely disappointed in its performance, and I will not purchase any Dyson products in the future.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I am reporting an injury I sustained from my Dyson big ball multi floor vacuum which I've had for 9 months. This is the second incident of this kind which I did not report. The first time involved my right forearm from the same manner as described below. I have a faint scar from that incident. Today again as I was vacuuming in the most traditional fashion, my right upper arm was pinched in-between the elbow joint of the hose to the point of extreme pain and spontaneous bruising measuring 1/2"x1.5". If I had not released the hose as it was crimping my flesh, my arm would have severe damage causing broken skin and bleeding.

Anybody with a bleeding disorder or on blood thinners should avoid this type of vacuum as it can happen to anyone at any time while performing a routine task in the home. As it just happened today I will monitor it for signs of increased hematoma, swelling, inflammation and possible infection. I will take ** if the pain doesn't subside and I'll put a cold compress on it to reduce the inflammation. I cannot return the vacuum and I paid over $500.00 for it. I have hesitations about using the vacuum but unfortunately I need it as part of my household chores.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Dyson DC41 Animal - Bought Christmas of '13, to suck yellow lab hair off tile floor. Paid 400, on sale, within a few months the head was broken and had to get a new one, they were good with that transaction. Forward to today the motor is now shot according to them, useless and rude on the phone, said we could get 20% off a new Dyson, remember the sale??? Probably the same price. So to sum it up, $ 400, breaks down to $100 per yr, I'm guessing I'll go with a $90 vacuum for as long as it lasts (got to be a year right?) And then buy a new 90$ vacuum.

Original review: July 26, 2018

My wife cannot even use this machine and I, at 185 pounds, have to stop and rest often when using this machine. Very, very difficult to push forward. I may just take it out and throw it in a dumpster and go buy something else. This small ball machine isn't even 6 months old and I have had it. This is a piece of junk.

Original review: July 25, 2018

We've had the Dyson V6 Slim for 2 1/2 years and the battery no longer holds enough charge to run 4 1/2 minutes in normal mode and a measly 25 seconds in MAX mode. What's worse is the Dyson support expecting me to shell out $89.99 for a new battery as the warranty for such a "premium" brand is conveniently 2 years. They offered me a 20% discount towards a new machine (which excludes the new models Pure Cool HEPA, V10, 360 Eye, and Supersonic). No thanks! Needless to say I won't be purchasing a Dyson product again and will share this experience with my friends.

Original review: July 24, 2018

The soleplate on my vacuum broke off. I placed an order for a new one and received email order confirmation and told I would receive another email when shipped. After 2 weeks when I hadn't heard I called them. I was told the item was initially out of stock and order in limbo. She said the item was now in stock. She would replace the order and ship it out. I received an email confirming the order. Another two weeks pass. I call again. Am told the item is out of stock. I ask why they didn't let me know? Why was I told it was in stock and on its way two weeks ago.

We went round and round. I asked when it was expected back in stock and would it be sent. She didn't know. Suggested waiting a few more weeks and trying again. I asked for a supervisor. I was disconnected. I had given her my phone number and she had my email. No one called back or emailed. I was too exhausted to start over. Later I tried the chat feature. They said I could drive two hours round trip to a store. No thanks. Said they would look into this. I doubt it. I'm so disgusted with this Company. I will never buy another Dyson. I have two. Beware. They have horrible customer service. If I don't hear back in a week it's going in the garbage. I'm done.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Dyson has terrible customer service. I need a part from them because their product (Dyson V6) doesn't work. They will eventually send the part but they state they ship within 10-15 business days. Their product is faulty, I spent 100's of dollars and I might be able to use my vacuum in a few weeks to a month. I will never buy anything from them again. I am a repeat customer but this is the final straw. Really? What am I supposed to use while I wait weeks for the new battery? I guess they expect me to go buy another Dyson. However, I'll be buying myself a Shark that is actually worth the money.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I'd like to know if there's any rectification for my Dyson Animal II purchase, that is sadly barely just a year old (Purchased 05/08/2017). It clogs after each use (yes I clean it spotless after each use) and leaves hair behind (to where I religiously have to rewash the floor in order to pick up the pet hair left behind). The bristle compartment needs to be oiled Continuously (as it revving/pulsating on and off) and the solution is to take apart the bristle compartment and oil it. Doing this After Each Use is a bit much for a vacuum that cost. What Can You Do To Stand By Your Product!!!! I have 46 months left on this vacuum. Serial Number TJ7-US-JBA6923A.

Original review: July 11, 2018

While the three Dysons I've owned over 7 years have worked very well when new, they are not very reliable. The last one, and Animal 41, the brush bar quit working. I purchased a new brush bar set, then that didn't work. I replaced all the power and reset switches...still nothing. This is too expensive a vacuum not to last more than 2-3 years. We're switching brands and I'm off the Dyson band-wagon from now on. We will pay good money for a good vacuum...now on the search for what that brand is.

Original review: July 9, 2018

For some reason Dyson seems to get away with claiming that they are superior to all other vacuum companies and people should be happy about paying a HUGE premium to own a "Dyson". But after owning two different units that have both failed for different reasons one within 3 years and the other within 6 months, I firmly believe they are all style and NO substance. Specifically referring to the V6 Cord Free Stick vacuum that I purchased 6 months ago. Dyson thinks it is completely acceptable for the rechargeable battery that came with the unit to die after six months and after spending $300 on this glorified dust buster, I should expect to go out and purchase a new $75-$90 battery for it.

Well, they finally said as a "courtesy" they would try to locate a new battery from one of their service centers and send it to me, but they aren't sure how long that will take, at least 7-10 business days if they can find one, possibly longer if they have to wait for it to come back into stock at their headquarters. How nice for me. So, in the meantime, while I cannot use this wonderful stick vacuum that was supposed to replace ALL other vacuums in the house, and it did, I have nothing to vacuum with.

And do you think they would be so kind as to extend the overall two-year warranty for the time I can't actually USE the vacuum while waiting for the battery? Of course not, because after all, the battery isn't covered under the warranty... In summary, Dyson is a company that does great advertising, but their sleek looking products are junk that they won't stand behind and they are full of excuses when they break. I will NOT be swindled into buying another Dyson ever again.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have had a Dyson for 4 months when it stopped picking up anything. I cleaned everything, filters, canister... Still does not pick up my dog hair (it is advertised for pets) or anything else. It was 300.00... Go buy something good like a Shark.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I purchased the new V10 cordless vacuum from Dyson.com on June 22, 2018. By purchasing from their website I was able to select 3 additional attachments for free. I received a confirmation email showing what I had purchased and stating I would receive another email once the product has shipped. I verified there was a pending payment on my credit card so I waited. After 5 business days I still had not received a shipping email so I checked my credit card account only to find the charge had disappeared.

I sent an email to Dyson inquiring about my purchase. I was informed the order was processing so I replied asking for an approximate shipping date. Shortly after my response I received a shipping confirmation for the additional attachments I had selected. (When submitting the original order it was stated that the attachments would be shipped separately).

I started thinking since the V10 was new maybe the hold up was they were out of stock, however, I received an email response with the shipping policy attached stating the issue was they do not ship to an APO. We have an APO address because my husband works for the military and we live overseas which is considered a US address. Not all companies will ship to an APO even though it's considered a US address so when ordering online I verify this type of address is acceptable. I did verify their shipping policy yet missed where they don't ship to an APO and yes, that's my fault for missing it.

I made the initial mistake about the address... The problem is my address was accepted as ok for shipping and it took my inquiring about why it had not shipped more than 10 business days after purchase before being told they don't ship to an APO. Worse yet, I've got attachments on the way for a vacuum that can't be shipped here. Yes, I made the mistake missing the info about not shipping to an APO but from the beginning, I should have not been able to place the order. Other websites will flag the address so it's fair to expect I should have been flagged the moment my address was submitted. The confusing part is how the attachments were shipped.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I bought the cordless upright last year and I've had every single part replaced. Every time I used it I got electric shocks. Dyson said that's normal so my battery died out a few times due to this shock. They won't replace anything for me, very bad customer service! Don't buy the cordless because I have 2 corded vacuums from them and I've never had a problem!

Original review: June 9, 2018

The plastic motor housing cracked on our vacuum within the warranty period. I sent in photos and warranty information. Dyson's response to the warranty claim is that this would be considered damage to the machine because the machine is extremely durable. This seems to be faulty logic and circular reasoning. There is no evidence of impact damage on the housing. Everyone in our home who uses the machine says they have NOT had an accident that caused the casing to crack. I think that we are fairly careful with this vacuum. So far, Dyson has not shown any interest in inspecting the machine. Hopefully we can move past this initial problem with communication.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I have had a Dyson DC-44 Animal vacuum for years and it's been great but now it will not suck because of a rubber gasket at the top of the cyclone unit that has through the years worn out and cracked and fell into pieces. I contact Dyson support and they said that the gasket is part of the cyclone unit and can't be purchased by itself. Why would I want to spent $40 for a $2 gasket and they don't even have that part to sell you. Talk about bad customer service. This is a gasket that is replaceable and yet they can't stock it to send out. Am I the only customer that has had this happen. Well for a $2 part Dyson has lost my business and I will tell others about this.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I love this Dyson vacuum. It does a great job of cleaning and has held up very well. Lightweight, swivels and gets to places easily. It is extremely easy to empty, clean filters, add accessory pieces etc.

Original review: June 2, 2018

This is a very functional vacuum. We also like how the vacuum has been designed that makes it easy to use. We have had this cleaner for over 10 yrs. Now with no loss in cleaning power.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I recently had an issue with a ball floor vacuum that included a grinding noise and an electrical burning smell. I called Dyson customer support, troubleshooted, and send the vacuum in for repairs. It came back with the issue unresolved. I called again, was informed my issue wasn't properly communicated and sent to Paramus, NJ, where they're unable to fix my specific problem. I was then given a new UPS code that would send my vacuum to another facility that could fix this problem. When I went to UPS, the code didn't work.

When I called again, they said the notes from the previous call had the vacuum going back to Paramus, again. I then got another code and the vacuum then went... somewhere. It came back again, un-repaired. Are the people in customer service at this company ok? Does anyone at Dyson do their job? I get more customer service from my local McDonald's, and my chicken nuggets aren't costing me $200+. Get your ** together, Dyson. I'm getting a Hoover.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Dyson is the most powerful vacuum I have ever used. It is truly amazing. The downside is that it is heavy and difficult to maneuver. It is an investment that I'm sure will last for a very long time. But using it is a workout every time.

Original review: May 31, 2018

This vacuum cleaner is just fabulous and does what it says on the adverts. It's easy to use and empty, light and picks up really great. I really would recommend.

Dyson Vacuums expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.

• Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.

• Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.

• Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.

• Best for: Dyson's powerful vacuums are good options for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs