2. Homeowners

Dyson Vacuums Reviews

Dyson Vacuums
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.63/5

Dyson Vacuums Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Original review: May 13, 2020

We have the V8 Animal cordless. This lightweight vacuum is very convenient and easy to use. It does a credible vacuuming job on both carpets and hard floors, especially on high power. But note that it will only run about 10 minutes on high. On regular it goes for at least 30 minutes - enough to do the entire house (upstairs and downstairs) plus the garage. Pretty impressive.

We had one serious problem in two years, a battery defect. Fortunately, Dyson cheerfully sent out a replacement, free of charge. The only less-than-ideal components are the accessory brushes. They don't pick up much and the one in the powerhead is losing some of its bristles (and its replacement is overly expensive). Deep cleaning the two filters is a bit of a chore, but at least they are washable (with tap water) so there's no extra cost of replacement filter bags. This needs to be done about every two or three months, so not too bad. Overall, the V8 is our go-to vacuum for most everything. We also have a Hoover upright that is more powerful, but it is heavy and clumsy. I pretty much only use it now to vacuum our exhaust vents and the refrigerator coils.

Original review: May 12, 2020

We were given our Dyson Ball Multi Floor vacuum as a hand me down. The Cadillac of vacuums, in my less than knowledgeable opinion of any vacuum. As someone with back issues, I was hoping it would self propel itself and hover from tile to rug and back, effortlessly. Leaving nothing but like new, expensive looking thick carpet type lines behind me. I wouldn’t have to whiff the wretched burnt smell while one foot on the corner of an end of a throw rug in the kitchen, while my Dyson just knows... up and over... onto tile, keep going.

Then was my thought of the bag-less design. No remembering bag numbers, and changing them....Ugh. Since details make the difference.... First, stick to vacuums with bags. Because emptying that plastic canister outdoor (or even indoors, with a deep breath) exposes you to the dust and crud you just sucked up. Lastly, none of the other above hopes of my Dyson came to fruition either. So my reviewing the Dyson was not glowing. But I was grateful for the thought when it was given to us. Hopefully, soon enough when this one is no longer working, I will go back to the Hoover bagged style. Happy Vacuuming.

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2020

We have 2 very hairy dogs and 2 vacuum cleaners that we enjoy for different reason. One is the "Pet" Dyson, the other is a Shark Ion with removable batteries. The Dyson definitely removes more dog hair on the first pass. The Shark removes hair, too, but not as much, and only after making several passes. The Dyson has different speeds which is nice when vacuuming cheaper carpets like bathroom rugs so they won't get sucked up. The Shark has only one speed. But with the Dyson, you must continuously hold the trigger while vacuuming. Don't care for that. With the Shark, you press one button to turn on and off.

When the Dyson battery goes, you must recharge it. When Shark's battery loses juice, you just pop in a fresh battery while the other charges. Love that. As for price, the Shark (on sale) was about $230 while the Dyson was around $600. We bought the Dyson to remove the pet hair, which was everywhere. It did a great job but because of its price, probably won't buy another Dyson for a very long time.

Original review: April 29, 2020

Dyson is a great company. My mom always complained about how hard her vacuum was to push and that she got older. I really was looking for a vacuum that was really lightweight yet powerful for her because she has arthritis and I could not find one. When the Dyson battery power came out it blew my mind. I was so happy that I could finally buy her a vacuum. I bought one for myself first. I wanted to make sure that she would like it because I know how picky she is. She really is a clean freak and I was surprisingly ecstatic when using it. It met all and I mean all of her complaints on her other vacuums. I mean she must have spent tens of thousands of dollars on the highest quality vacuums when I was a kid growing up. I was finally able to get her her vacuum of her dreams. She always literally pictured this vacuum. She explained it and next thing you know it was on the market. It was actually a prayer answered. Unbelievable.

Original review: April 23, 2020

It has three power settings, economy, medium and boost and are switchable with a button push. In economy mode, the power is a bit better than a typical hand vac and a charge lasts 74 minutes. Medium is almost as strong as a corded vacuum and the charge lasts about 40 minutes. Boost mode is as strong or stronger than a corded floor vacuum and the charge lasts only 9 minutes. I used the Dyson mostly in medium mode and was able to clean dirt and long hair with no issue. I was also able to pick up gravel from a car floor easily.

The Dyson comes with 4 cleaning tools for different types of jobs and can be used with or without the extended stalk between the vacuum and the cleaning tools. The pieces attach securely with a satisfying click. Removing dirt from the vacuum is simple but more important, the canister is made in a way that causes the process to leave minimal dust. Very important for people like us with breathing issues.

It is easy to hold the vacuum as it weighs about 4 pounds and has a pistol grip. With the stalk, it is 42 inches from grip to bottom, depending on the cleaning tool used. It is a good length for floor cleaning. One negative is that the vacuum only stays on when the trigger is pulled. Another is that the weight can make it wearing to use for large areas. For those reasons I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars. In general, I would not use this vacuum as my primary for a large home. It is great for a smaller apartment, spot jobs, stairs, inaccessible places and vehicles. It is also perfect to clean the places that a robotic vacuum could not reach.

Original review: July 31, 2020

We finally bought our first Rolls Royce Dyson V11 and at first I was so happy, well that was for about 3 months after owning it when the battery dies in less than 1 min. So I called to find out that no one is working there and they shut down their call center, so they said start a chat. LOL. What a joke because I did and I waited and finally they write back that no one is available! Anyways I email them and they tell me that they are sending a replacement charger, hmmm it’s the battery not the charger but no one to talk to.

I wait 2 weeks and get an email it’s shipped but no it gets better. I wait and wait to find out it was stuck at the processing center. So I email a nasty email that they don’t care about and said, "We will send another one," so a week later I get it and of course knowing it won’t fix it, I installed it and nope no dice don’t work. I wrote them again and now they say, "Ok we will send a new battery." Well that was 2 weeks ago and tracking said today and nothing is here. God I’m done with this company and please save your money.

Original review: July 21, 2020

They sold me V8 stick vacuum cleaner by saying that they are going to do a price match Home Depot but after I bought it, they have rejected my claim. Worst customer care who can't stand on their word.

Original review: July 19, 2020

Having been a fan of Dyson since DC02 I am disappointed. My last Dyson vacuum broke (rather than $100 for replacement part) - my gift to myself, I decided time to buy a brand new Dyson. The new one doesn't have a good head and its pretty poor. It's only good on hard for. Great auxin but didn't pick up. As for hair-no chance, I've never known a Dyson to leave hair and pet hair on the floor. But this one just skips on by. I guess you need to pay extra for a pet one. Yet every previous one has done the job. This is only good for hardwood floors. It's the big ball vacuum and I've wasted my money. Half my house is carpet and it's rubbish in carpet.

Original review: July 12, 2020

Don't buy Dyson vacuums!!! The machines are very expensive. They work wonderfully. But their outer shell is very fragile. You pay an expensive guarantee, but you get nothing for it. The company is not interested in you and your problem. I have three vacuums. I only used them for a year. I sought help on March 8 and to this day - nothing. I'm outraged! I feel cheated. My name is Maria **. I keep all correspondence with the company. If anyone is interested - I can present it.

Original review: July 11, 2020

Please don’t get one of these. They only go 4 mins on maximum which is what you would generally need. They block ALL the time. And if that is not the cause of the problem it’ll be the filter. So you’re half way through vacuuming up and the filter needs cleaning so it stops the machine. You need to wash. It only takes 24 hrs to dry it. Let’s just leave the mess there then and wait for 24 hrs. That would be acceptable if I hadn’t paid 1400$NZ for it. Back to using the Centra vac. Amazing.

Dyson Vacuums author review by ConsumerAffairs

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.

• Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.

• Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.

• Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team