Dyson Vacuums

Compare Vacuums

Research top Vacuums recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've had my Dyson DC39 Animal for over a year but I use it rarely as I prefer to sweep. So after very little use I have found that the quality is TERRIBLE. The connecting end of the hose continually cracks rendering it useless. The plastic is extremely brittle and very inferior quality. I am on my 3rd hose, I'm forced to buy the whole unit as Dyson do not supply a replacement connector. I would NOT RECOMMEND DYSON. I'm scrapping this one and buying a cheaper better quality Miele (I should have listened to my husband).

Purchased a DYSON DC 39 5 months ago and have had nothing but headaches with it!!! Paid 349.00, for what I thought was a good quality product, with a 5-year warranty, and was happier with my 100.00 Bissell. Sent it back to Dyson for repairs, and they sent it back the exact same way, with the exact same problems!!! Just got off phone with them 'cause it's been doing same thing again and they told me I'd have to take care of having it repaired on my own. SHOCKER! Sooo if you're looking for a good vacuum and good customer service, I obviously DON'T RECOMMEND DYSON!!!

Unless you really love puzzles don't get a Dyson, every piece pops off when bumped. It may never lose suction but the newest Cinetic ball power head has a hole the size of a looney and clogs with hair. The canister, if and when you get the head working fills fast and is not a hands-free empty. The floor attachment swivels so much that it won't lay flat on hardwood. I clean commercially. Electrolux Canister Vacuums are the bomb. Shark is also awesome. I currently got an $85 Dirt Devil to leave at clients instead of the Dyson I told him not to buy.

I bought a v8 3 months ago. 12 days ago it stopped working, I wrote to Dyson. After answering many emails, they sent me a new charger. It still doesn't work. I tried to call Dyson, and a message says they are not answering the phone! I spent over $600 with a company that doesn't answer you when you need? Don't buy Dyson vacuums, you'll regret!

I bought my Dyson Max handheld through QVC in Aug 2015 with a 2 year warranty. It stopped working yesterday so I still have a warranty left, right? I called the company and was told the main base would have to be replaced and that is not under warranty. They said they would send me a part for $263, which is almost what I paid for it 2 years ago, so I told them I would just buy a different vacuum. I am so disappointed!!! I have a 40 year old Electrolux that has never given me a problem. I Will never buy another Dyson product!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

After less than 6 months of use, the cleaner head assembly stopped working. Even though I thoroughly cleaned the machine it still didn't work. I contacted Dyson, the customer services was helpful, but I need to pay $120 for a new cleaner assembly. What happened to the warranty? I purchased the vacuum 25 Nov 2016 which I thought is still under warranty. I don't recommend purchasing another Dyson product because of the price and their warranty.

We purchased Dyson V6 Animal last Christmas season. Using it as a secondary vacuum it started leaving scratches and marks on hardwood floor after 4 month. I contacted Dyson and sent them pictures of scratches, marks and the vacuum itself. They responded that they do not see anything wrong and will do nothing
Obviously company is not standing behind their product. All I wanted was them to fix the part on the vacuum that keeps scratching the floor. Cheap cheap cheap.

DO NOT BUY.

I've owned my Dyson DC07 for 10 yrs. and have never had to have it repaired. I clean the filters every 6 mo. and clean out the dirt canister after each use and cut off all the long hair that accumulates around the brush roller. My Dyson does a good job, but it's not any better than vacuums costing A LOT LESS. Better off going with a Hoover WindTunnel or a Shark. Good customer service is vital and Dyson's customer service is the absolute WORST. Their products use cheap plastic parts. My Dyson vacuum completely broke in half just by picking it up. Unbelievable. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND YOUR SANITY, DON'T BUY A DYSON.

Just called into the local Dyson service centre with one of my Dyson vacuum cleaners as it is working intermediately when pressing the trigger. The Dyson is a hand held model. They told me it was obsolete and they were not able to have it looked at for repair and tried selling me a new one at a supposedly great price.

(When I checked it was at a higher price than a retailer.) Mr. Dyson if you're going to make throw away products then start charging throw away prices. Very poor service and very poor product.

Dyson DC41 - This is a cheap piece of 'plastic'. It is falling apart, the plastic breaks easily and repairs are costly. This is probably the worst vacuum cleaner my family has ever owned. I think the product line is a rip off. It's cool technology but designed with planned obsolescence to either break or fall apart within months after purchase. Take a look at the two pictures below. In the first picture look at the thin red plastic pin attached to a lever for opening the tank. Our cleaning person broken the pin putting the tank back on the vacuum cleaner, had to replace the whole tank. In the second picture the cleaning person banged the side of the vacuum against the wall while vacuuming. The plastic shattered and the side cover came off. This is built like a child's cheap plastic toy. I wish I could give it zero stars but one is the lowest this site allows.

I bought a Dyson v6 vacuum. First off I have two cats. It doesn't pick up that much hair. My Kirby does a much better job. For the money I spent on this I am so disappointed. Also I have arthritis in my hands and holding that button to keep it running is a pain in my hands. You should make one thinking of customers with this problem also have them improve on the suction of this machine. Would not buy another one and I won't recommend you either.

I purchased Dyson vacuum cleaner a while ago. I am so disappointed in this product. With 4 children, 2 pets & a plaster husband who always brings home white dust, I really can't afford to be without a vacuum for the duration & frequency of servicing & repairing this vacuum. Dyson Customer Service operators are not helpful & they do not care about your suffer & satisfaction rate.

I complained that I am not happy with the product as it loses its suction quite often even to suck a human hair or a dog fur. Their attitude is "Borrow a vacuum from a friend or family for the next 4-6 weeks till we see what's need to be done." It's so frustrating to see one of the most expensive vacuum brand. Their Customer Service Department ignores customer inconvenience & dissatisfaction for their faulty item. I believe we deserve a new vacuum or refund for the pain & suffer gained from using this type of vacuum brand. Or Dyson can send someone to vacuum my fully carpeted house every second day like I used to do till yesterday when the vacuum let me down big time & I sent it this morning to Dyson for repair or replacement or a any decent solution that restore my trust in this brand. :((

So we bought a new Dyson V8 Absolute. Brought it home, registered it, and went to use it. After charging for 5 hours it was good to go. We uses it for a day and then I wrote a review on the Dyson Canada website. It was a negative review and I click "no" the would you recommend this product to a friend question. I listed what I felt was negative. Battery life for the price, poor documentation and a few other things. It was posted on the website for a day and then promptly removed the next. So in conclusion, just give Dyson a positive review or no review at all because if it is too negative they will just delete it.

I strongly recommend against buying a Dyson Vacuum because their accompanying literature does not explain that the brush feature on the head should not be used on a Berber carpeting. The vacuum destroyed a wall to wall carpet that was only 4 or 5 years by pulling up loops. When I spoke with their customer service department they referred to the statement in their literature that the brush should not be used on "delicate" carpets. A Berber carpet is used in commercial spaces and I certainly would not consider it to be a "delicate" carpet. This was their cop out on covering the damage.

Based on a cellphone picture of the bottom of the head, they supposedly were able to determine that the vacuum was in excellent condition. Really??? I used the vacuum for years on the carpet and then in one day it chewed it up. But according to them, it was a "coincidence". Additionally I constantly have a problem with the cover over the hose coming loose, which leaves the vacuum with no suction. Poorly engineered, overpriced product. Avoid like a plague.

After purchasing my Dyson V8 Animal I tried to register the machine for the warranty on-line. I got a screen that said that the machine's serial number that I bought at Bed Bath & Beyond was not valid. For one solid week Dyson through its on-line Contact Us link has been totally unresponsive. I will be filing numerous complaints against this firm for inter-state fraud (Marketing a product sold nationwide and telling people that they offer a warranty), unfair business practices and poor website. It should NEVER take the consumer this amount of time to register a product for its warranty. It's my opinion that the machine appears to be greatly engineered but the corporate resolve to be an honorable firm is truly lacking. Let's hope this machine lasts.

Dyson have appalling after sales service. You can never get through, they don't return emails and never get back to you. For a company that prides itself on product quality they are a joke. I would strongly recommend that you reconsider another product because they just don't care about customers AND they do fail.

Dyson was not willing to sell me a simple part needed to repair my Model DC25 vacuum cleaner. They recommended I buy a new one (with a 20% discount). My vacuum cleaner runs fine, but it does not stand up due to a broken piece of plastic that stabilizes the wheel stand. While the Dyson employee (Kendall) was very nice the Dyson company forbid her from selling the part I needed. This is poor customer service. I will never buy a Dyson product again. I contacted Dyson on 4/29/2017 at 3:35 PM with a 15-30 minute hold time. END.

I was excited to purchase my first Dyson. I have hardwood floors and one carpeted room, no pets. Previously, I was using a cheap $50 wand vacuum and thought it was time for a big girl vacuum. My experience with Dyson was very disappointing. The suction they talk about is not that great and gets worse over time. I rarely use the vacuum because the only room I have with carpet is my bedroom. I've already had to repair the vacuum 2 times in 2 years. Their design is beautiful, however it has okay suction, no better than my wand vacuum and it keeps breaking. I would never recommend anyone purchase a Dyson.

I purchased my Dyson Vacuum from the Home Shopping Channel here in Toronto Ontario. My main advice to others would be, do not get caught up with the hype surrounding a product. My Kenmore carpet sweeper was old and needed to be replaced, so I decided to pay the extra money and buy what is hyped as the best vacuum around. Big mistake. Not only is the Dyson no better than a vacuum that costs less than half of what the Dyson does, but it's awkward to empty, has too many valves and connectors and definitely does not pick up any better than a cheaper machine.

After this experience, I would never recommend buying a bagless vacuum. It's messier, more complicated and the canister gets jammed up with hair and debris. Much easier to simply change and dispose of a bag. Also the plastic parts of the Dyson appear cheap and flimsy, not at all what you'd expect from a $700 plus machine. After paying top dollar for this vacuum I will keep it, but my recommendation to someone who really wants good quality would be to spend just a little more and get central vac. The Dyson definitely does not live up to the hyperbole about it in my opinion.

My wife and I have owned our Dyson vacuum for 2 years and paid a BUTT LOAD of money for it. The vacuum worked great for about 1 1/2 years then it went to HELL!!! The cheap plastic release for the dust bin which is about as thin as a pencil lead broke. Then the Dyson vacuum would continuously lose suction, and dust went flying everywhere. The ball design was made by a bunch of overpaid ball heads!!! Won't even fit under my king bed, what a joke. Now the "GREAT DYSON VACUUM" is overheating after about 3 minutes of use. TO YOU ENGINEERS AT DYSON STOP TRYING TO MAKE IT LOOK COOL. By the way it doesn't anyway, and make your $900.00 dollar vacuum actually suck up dirt and dust!!!

I bought a Shark vacuum for $400.00 dollars less and have had it for 3 years now and no problems not one. I would recommend Dyson send your overpaid overdressed dumbass engineers to go to the Shark vacuum cleaner company and learn how to build a real vacuum!!! My daughter’s $32.99 vacuum outperformed your $900.00 dollar pile of JUNK!! And yes I called customer service many times but with no success. They told me to check my wiring. What a crock of **! No problems with any other appliances plugged into that outlet. That includes a $500.00 radio, Shark vacuum, and 60" 1080 HAD PLASMA TV!! So to everyone shopping for a vacuum don't buy a GODDAMN DYSON VACUUM!! BUY A SHARK VACUUM PLZ. It's only common sense too. Trust me $1300.00 later. I ** know people!!!

Product lasted just a few months past warranty with periodic use. I have central vac for main vacuuming. Customer service rep. advised needed new battery at wall $145 and new battery for stick at additional $145 but they could give 20% discount if I buy a new one. They cannot be fixed. Not likely, might as well buy a less expensive product from a competitor and throw away when it breaks down. I bought 3 more for my kids and here is hoping they last a little longer. Also the customer service rep said she would send me the information on new batteries and a discount code. Nothing was sent to my email.

I have had 3 Dyson Vacuums in 9 years. Each one cost me over 469.00. I was in love with the first one, they are great at suction, but something always breaks after 2-2 1/2 years. I don't think I should have to spend 1500.00 in 9 years just to vacuum my carpets or floor. I gave the 3rd one I purchased less than 2 years a chance, No more. The money it cost to get them repaired I can purchase a cheap vacuum every year.

Considering it's supposed to be for houses with animals, it does a terrible job vacuuming up fur. I have to regularly (at least once per room) pick up the floor brush and pull the fur off the end. And the carpet cleaner pulls fur up along the outside and up the handle (guess there's some sort of magnetic charge). It is also hard to clean the canister -- the fur gets stuck all around the inner tube and you have to keep reaching in with your fingers to pull it out. Or grab a kitchen utensil to reach far up inside. Can't believe this in a Dyson. Oh, and the machine does not get back up when toppled.

At the recommendations from friends and strangers, I bought a Dyson DC 33 vacuum cleaner about a year ago. It was supposed to have unlimited time on suction quality. I'm afraid not. I have a $25.00 Bissell 3-in-1 sweeper that works better at picking up dust, dirt, and small debris on both hard surface and carpet surface. The Dyson strains my back when trying to use the very unwieldy attachment for hard to reach and above the floor areas. Very stiff and inflexible. The front of the vacuum is designed to push objects (large or small or tiny) like a snow plow and I end up having to use a broom and dustpan or the above mentioned Bissell.

The owner's manual is a joke at best. It reveals no information on what to do when a problem arises. The cost of sending the vacuum back to the manufacturer for repair or replacement just about covers the cost of many fine vacuums of other brands. I will NEVER buy another Dyson product again. I strongly urge anyone considering buying a Dyson to be mindful of the hype and pay a lot less for another brand that will probably satisfy one more than the Dyson brand.

Had a Miele vacuum. It was great. Had it stolen though to buy a Dyson which was also in the same price range. Used it 4 times. Worst garbage I have ever used. Better vacuums, Miele, FilterQueen, Kirby. Heck anything. Have no suction. After 4 uses. The change over from upright to hand uses a cheap flip seal system. Worst engineering ever. Why would a vacuum have so many seals. Too many moving parts that don't have to be moving. Work in R and D. Manufacturing. This vacuum is terrible. DC15 is a pile of junk.

The vacuum works OK, wish it had more power (DC14 Animal). My issue is the power cord gets very hot at the plug. The out I liked to is melted and blow the breaker, I replaced it. It fits tight in the other outlets but when I unplug it after vacuuming for less than 10 min. the plug on the end of the cord is hot and the metal prongs are too hot to touch. This seems like a good way to burn down my house. It cost me $500.00. Seems like for $500.00 it would not do that.

I purchased this Dyson Cinetic Big Ball from Dyson Canada online, back in December. When the vacuum arrived I was surprised at the flimsy quality, but was determined to give it a try. The idea of not having to replace bags was exciting, but in actual use it created more of a mess when trying to empty the collection bin. In addition, the bin emptying mechanism is so flimsy, I was scared I was going to break it each time I used it. And after only about half a dozen uses, one of the wheels broke off. The machine is definitely not worth the extra expense. I emailed Dyson and demanded a refund. They did send a return box fairly quickly, but the actual refund did take some time. I am now a proud owner of a Miele, which I find works better, and is better built as well.

My original service request was ignored. Four days later, I followed up and called to have them check to determine why nothing had been done to process my service request. It took her only a few minutes to contact UPS and schedule a pickup date for the following day, as I originally requested. The original representative had argued with me about the method of shipment regarding UPS picking it up at my door. When I explained I was elderly and could not manage carrying a heavy vacuum into the UPS store, plus dealing with severe weather/road conditions here, he agreed to process my request and told me Dyson would contact me shortly. I never heard from them, so had to contact them once again. I own 2 Dysons and the next vacuum I buy will NOT be a Dyson due to their poor quality of customer service.

I bought the Dyson DC65 about two years ago. It has been the worst vacuum I have ever owned especially since it cost $500.00. Dyson claims it never loses suction... What a blatant lie! This vacuum stays stopped up. We have cleaned it out many, many times over the years we have owned, cleaned the filters and have tried to never pick up anything with it that shouldn't be vacuumed up. The wand has worked less than 25% of the time I have owned it. Part of the reason I bought it was for the long hose and the wand.

The other issue is how is it hypo-allergenic when once you open it to dump out what you have vacuumed the dust and particles flies all over the house or in your face. I tried calling customer service once; I will not make that mistake again. They were no help at all. I'm not mailing this vacuum to you to fix; a $500.00 vacuum should work and not have these types of issues. Save your money and do your research. I should have!

I received a Dyson DC59 Cordless Animal Vac as a gift on Dec. 25, 2014. It had a 2 year warranty. In November 2016, I started having problems with it only running for about 2 minutes then stopping. I called Dyson & the lady told me that it will only run for 2 minutes if it's on Max & that if it is charged on Max, it drains the battery. I knew this was not true because I had run it on Max many times & it usually lasted 20-25 minutes. I also had charged it on Max before & the battery was not drained. I told her that I was pretty sure it needed a new battery. She told me that it was not a problem with the battery & I just needed to run it on Low. I told her fine BUT I wanted it on record that I had called about it before the warranty expired. She assured me that it was on record.

So in early January, it totally stopped working. I called again & this lady walked me through the process of checking my battery, which proved that it was dead. She said that she did see where I had called about it in November. She then told me that they could send me a new battery for $83.14 plus shipping. I was like, "NO WAY! I had a problem with it before this." She then informed me that yes, I did have a prior problem but if I had called in December, they would have covered it. Now, we are only 2 weeks past warranty with a previous problem.

I told her that I would like to speak with a supervisor. After several minutes on hold, she came back only to tell me that there was no one available but she would put in a request for someone to call me back in 5-8 business days. Well, this is March 8th & I still have never received that callback. I had also purchased 2 other Dyson cordless vacs for my daughters. I will say that Dyson will never see another penny from me! If you DO NOT have good customer service, your product isn't worth anything at all!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.
  • Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.
  • Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.
  • Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.
  • Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.
  • Best for Dyson's powerful vacuums are good options for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Compare Vacuum Cleaners