3.18/5
Based on 222 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Dyson Vacuums Reviews

593 Dyson Vacuums Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

I bought the cordless upright last year and I've had every single part replaced. Every time I used it I got electric shocks. Dyson said that's normal so my battery died out a few times due to this shock. They won't replace anything for me, very bad customer service! Don't buy the cordless because I have 2 corded vacuums from them and I've never had a problem!

Original review: June 9, 2018

The plastic motor housing cracked on our vacuum within the warranty period. I sent in photos and warranty information. Dyson's response to the warranty claim is that this would be considered damage to the machine because the machine is extremely durable. This seems to be faulty logic and circular reasoning. There is no evidence of impact damage on the housing. Everyone in our home who uses the machine says they have NOT had an accident that caused the casing to crack. I think that we are fairly careful with this vacuum. So far, Dyson has not shown any interest in inspecting the machine. Hopefully we can move past this initial problem with communication.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I have had a Dyson DC-44 Animal vacuum for years and it's been great but now it will not suck because of a rubber gasket at the top of the cyclone unit that has through the years worn out and cracked and fell into pieces. I contact Dyson support and they said that the gasket is part of the cyclone unit and can't be purchased by itself. Why would I want to spent $40 for a $2 gasket and they don't even have that part to sell you. Talk about bad customer service. This is a gasket that is replaceable and yet they can't stock it to send out. Am I the only customer that has had this happen. Well for a $2 part Dyson has lost my business and I will tell others about this.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I love this Dyson vacuum. It does a great job of cleaning and has held up very well. Lightweight, swivels and gets to places easily. It is extremely easy to empty, clean filters, add accessory pieces etc.

Original review: June 2, 2018

This is a very functional vacuum. We also like how the vacuum has been designed that makes it easy to use. We have had this cleaner for over 10 yrs. Now with no loss in cleaning power.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Original review: June 1, 2018

I recently had an issue with a ball floor vacuum that included a grinding noise and an electrical burning smell. I called Dyson customer support, troubleshooted, and send the vacuum in for repairs. It came back with the issue unresolved. I called again, was informed my issue wasn't properly communicated and sent to Paramus, NJ, where they're unable to fix my specific problem. I was then given a new UPS code that would send my vacuum to another facility that could fix this problem. When I went to UPS, the code didn't work.

When I called again, they said the notes from the previous call had the vacuum going back to Paramus, again. I then got another code and the vacuum then went... somewhere. It came back again, un-repaired. Are the people in customer service at this company ok? Does anyone at Dyson do their job? I get more customer service from my local McDonald's, and my chicken nuggets aren't costing me $200+. Get your ** together, Dyson. I'm getting a Hoover.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Dyson is the most powerful vacuum I have ever used. It is truly amazing. The downside is that it is heavy and difficult to maneuver. It is an investment that I'm sure will last for a very long time. But using it is a workout every time.

Original review: May 31, 2018

This vacuum cleaner is just fabulous and does what it says on the adverts. It's easy to use and empty, light and picks up really great. I really would recommend.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have a Dyson upright. The attachments are cheesy, the hose is clumsy to use, and it's all plastic. I laughed when my sister said she took her year old Dyson to a resale store just to get rid of it. I should have listened to her. I would not have bought it in the first place if BB&B didn't have it on sale and I had a 20% discount coupon.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We had an excellent Hoover Vacuum, but moved to a three story in Germany with spider issues as well as floors to do. The Dyson portable was much more capable in covering the whole house without concern for plugs. It also handles both our current 220V as well as 110V. It looks good, easy to dump, I haven't had to look at filters yet.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Dyson has poor suction and poor beater bar. We recently purchased a new Shark vacuum so we vacuumed our living room carpet with the Dyson and after we finished we vacuumed the same carpet with the Shark and it was unbelievable. All the dust the Shark picked up that the Dyson left behind!! So we will no longer use the Dyson!!

Original review: May 27, 2018

Bought the handheld battery operated vacuum mainly to use on my carpeted steps. This vacuum is extremely heavy & almost impossible to use because you have to constantly keep your finger on the on switch. After 2 uses I stopped using it.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Dyson Vacuum is too expensive with too short a battery life. I bought product specifically for cleaning hardwood floors and picking up pet hair. Does poor job.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Vacuum is easy to maneuver around furniture and is not heavy, cleans extremely well, and is easy to maintain. Would recommend a Dyson -- good for cleaning up when you have pets.

Original review: May 24, 2018

It is light enough to get my younguns to vacuum now without a fight. And I love all the attachments, ease of emptying and being cordless. But I am a little disappointed in the suction comparing it with the air powered hand dryers I see also by Dyson. The suction is really no better than a good tank vacuum. It is also pricey but I would recommend it. Household cleaning just got a little easier.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Used Dyson's website for new vacuum, used the Amazon pay button. Address on shipping label at Dyson's end cut-off important info. Unit was returned to Dyson, refund was issued, but had to wait three business days before money would be back in account. I was only offered $50, some accessories I didn't want, and "free" expedited shipping for my wasted time (over three hours between Dyson and UPS) and inconvenience.

Original review: May 22, 2018

This is for the Dyson cordless "Fluffy". I have a small 2-story condo (1200 sq ft) that is fully tiled. Initially it worked well and I could vacuum the entire condo and stairs with a single charge, but after less than 2 years the charge will barely last through the downstairs area. I liked the performance (as long as it would stay charged), and ease of use and handling, but I would not purchase another.

Original review: May 21, 2018

We bought our first Dyson more than a decade ago and never looked back. With a houseful of animals we wanted something bagless, powerful, maneuverable and efficient. We now have several, one for every floor (why climb stairs with a vacuum?) including one of the handy-dandy smaller cordless models.

Original review: May 20, 2018

My Dyson means quite a lot to me. Everyday it’s used with a family including Grandchildren. I need a machine to help me keep my home looking crumb free. Thank you!

Original review: May 16, 2018

So I purchased both an upright and the wand vacuum. The upright hose blew a hole in the first year, could not get anyone from Dyson to return a call, so it sat there. The wand stopped working and again good luck getting much help. Now a few years has gone by, forgot they were still there and I go to a Best Buy which had a Dyson rep who asked me if I had tried one. Well she got more than she bargained for but she gave me a card and told me there was a service center and they would take care of me.

I go there, they charge me $32.00 for a new hose, OK I will let that go but then they say the main body of the wand is shot and needs to be replaced for $134.00, half the price of a new one. When I stated what happened and how can they charge for a part that was obviously defective, they stated I can pay it or call Dyson, who also said I can pay it. DON'T BUY DYSON, they break down and they will charge almost the same amount as a new one to fix. I would rather buy a $100 vacuum every year for the next 8 years than go through this again!

Original review: May 16, 2018

Called Dyson V8 customer svc for battery replacement - after six calls and emails customer service is putting me off with countless suggestions and questions. Obviously this a planned put-off program trying to chase me off. Maybe Shark is the right answer.

Resolution response: May 22, 2018

Dyson contacted me the day after my initial issue with their customer service and offered to resolve the situation. They explained the upright vacuums are not ideal for some carpets and suggested two different canister models. I selected the Cinetic Big Ball. They provided shipping so I could return the upright and I received my new vacuum today. I assembled it in less than 5 minutes and it works perfectly on my new carpet, stone floors, and wood floors. I couldn't be happier with how the situation was resolved. At the end of the day everyone in customer service and sales was friendly and professional, except for 1 individual. All those good people offset the one bad apple in the bunch which is why I upped the rating to a 5 star. Any company can have a problem, its how they handle it that makes the difference.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I purchased this Dyson Ball Allergy Extra vacuum for its suction power and have had it for 6 months. It works very well on Berber carpets, wood and tile floors. However, last week I had a plush pile carpet installed in my living room, and was surprised that the vacuum cleaner could not even be pushed across the carpet. I called customer service and they instructed me to remove the gasket from the floor/head and that only made a slight difference. So now, I've reduced the performance of the vacuum cleaner, and still do not have a vacuum that works on this carpet. Most other vacuums have the ability to adjust the sweeper to the height of the carpeting, but this does not have that feature.

I've had other vacuums in my 30 years as a homeowner and all other brands worked well on carpet, regardless of the pile height, wood or tile floors. I am now stuck with a substandard, overpriced product with an inadequate warranty and no real customer support. I'm very disappointed in this product and would not recommend it. Other vacuums at lower prices have better features that get the job done. Do not buy into the product hype.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Very good vacuum. The head does not always go where directed but I use the handles to pick up the whole appliance to move where I need it. Great success in cleaning all kinds of flooring and big rugs.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I really like my Dyson. It cleans very well. Using some of the attachments is tricky because of how each part of the vacuum comes apart. The hose is bulky but stretches nicely. No problems using it.

Original review: May 10, 2018

It helps so much better on my drapes and my stairs. It also doesn't leave that smell that a vacumn usually makes when you run it. I like it even on my hardwood floors!

Original review: May 10, 2018

The power tool is very difficult to use. Matter of fact we bought another vacuum with an easier power tool. The canister is also gets very dirty and smelly and is very hard to wash.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have had my Dyson Ball Animal for 6 years. Worth every penny! Any parts that have gone out were so easy to purchase and replace. Have had friends who have purchased 3 vacuums in the time I have had this 1!

Original review: May 9, 2018

Dyson Vacuums is the pet hair model. I find it heavy to push around and only one side has the edge cleaner. This means having to turn around and changing direction to get all the edges done. I find it’s also bulky to store. Cleaning it is not horrible except when the 2 extra filters need to be cleaned. They take forever to dry so I bought an extra set so I wouldn’t not have a vacuum for 2 days.

Original review: May 9, 2018

The Dyson vacuum picks up dirt and etc. from carpet and tile. It does not throw the dirt on hard floors. All of the attachments make it possible to clean everything in the home, even fragile and breakable objects. Works wonderfully on stairs and cars. I have never had a vacuum that cleans so well, and I have had some of the best like Kirby and Rainbow. The suction is fantastic!

Original review: May 8, 2018

Not ergonomic - hose is very difficult to use. But nice that it goes from hard floor to carpet. One big issue though is need to push down on brush head to get good suction on carpet. But easy to remove dirt.

Dyson Vacuums expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.

• Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.

• Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.

• Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.

• Best for: Dyson's powerful vacuums are good options for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs