2. Homeowners
  3. Vacuum Cleaners

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.54/5

Dyson Vacuums Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Original review: May 13, 2020

We have the V8 Animal cordless. This lightweight vacuum is very convenient and easy to use. It does a credible vacuuming job on both carpets and hard floors, especially on high power. But note that it will only run about 10 minutes on high. On regular it goes for at least 30 minutes - enough to do the entire house (upstairs and downstairs) plus the garage. Pretty impressive.

We had one serious problem in two years, a battery defect. Fortunately, Dyson cheerfully sent out a replacement, free of charge. The only less-than-ideal components are the accessory brushes. They don't pick up much and the one in the powerhead is losing some of its bristles (and its replacement is overly expensive). Deep cleaning the two filters is a bit of a chore, but at least they are washable (with tap water) so there's no extra cost of replacement filter bags. This needs to be done about every two or three months, so not too bad. Overall, the V8 is our go-to vacuum for most everything. We also have a Hoover upright that is more powerful, but it is heavy and clumsy. I pretty much only use it now to vacuum our exhaust vents and the refrigerator coils.

Original review: May 12, 2020

We were given our Dyson Ball Multi Floor vacuum as a hand me down. The Cadillac of vacuums, in my less than knowledgeable opinion of any vacuum. As someone with back issues, I was hoping it would self propel itself and hover from tile to rug and back, effortlessly. Leaving nothing but like new, expensive looking thick carpet type lines behind me. I wouldn’t have to whiff the wretched burnt smell while one foot on the corner of an end of a throw rug in the kitchen, while my Dyson just knows... up and over... onto tile, keep going.

Then was my thought of the bag-less design. No remembering bag numbers, and changing them....Ugh. Since details make the difference.... First, stick to vacuums with bags. Because emptying that plastic canister outdoor (or even indoors, with a deep breath) exposes you to the dust and crud you just sucked up. Lastly, none of the other above hopes of my Dyson came to fruition either. So my reviewing the Dyson was not glowing. But I was grateful for the thought when it was given to us. Hopefully, soon enough when this one is no longer working, I will go back to the Hoover bagged style. Happy Vacuuming.

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2020

We have 2 very hairy dogs and 2 vacuum cleaners that we enjoy for different reason. One is the "Pet" Dyson, the other is a Shark Ion with removable batteries. The Dyson definitely removes more dog hair on the first pass. The Shark removes hair, too, but not as much, and only after making several passes. The Dyson has different speeds which is nice when vacuuming cheaper carpets like bathroom rugs so they won't get sucked up. The Shark has only one speed. But with the Dyson, you must continuously hold the trigger while vacuuming. Don't care for that. With the Shark, you press one button to turn on and off.

When the Dyson battery goes, you must recharge it. When Shark's battery loses juice, you just pop in a fresh battery while the other charges. Love that. As for price, the Shark (on sale) was about $230 while the Dyson was around $600. We bought the Dyson to remove the pet hair, which was everywhere. It did a great job but because of its price, probably won't buy another Dyson for a very long time.

Original review: April 29, 2020

Dyson is a great company. My mom always complained about how hard her vacuum was to push and that she got older. I really was looking for a vacuum that was really lightweight yet powerful for her because she has arthritis and I could not find one. When the Dyson battery power came out it blew my mind. I was so happy that I could finally buy her a vacuum. I bought one for myself first. I wanted to make sure that she would like it because I know how picky she is. She really is a clean freak and I was surprisingly ecstatic when using it. It met all and I mean all of her complaints on her other vacuums. I mean she must have spent tens of thousands of dollars on the highest quality vacuums when I was a kid growing up. I was finally able to get her her vacuum of her dreams. She always literally pictured this vacuum. She explained it and next thing you know it was on the market. It was actually a prayer answered. Unbelievable.

Original review: April 23, 2020

It has three power settings, economy, medium and boost and are switchable with a button push. In economy mode, the power is a bit better than a typical hand vac and a charge lasts 74 minutes. Medium is almost as strong as a corded vacuum and the charge lasts about 40 minutes. Boost mode is as strong or stronger than a corded floor vacuum and the charge lasts only 9 minutes. I used the Dyson mostly in medium mode and was able to clean dirt and long hair with no issue. I was also able to pick up gravel from a car floor easily.

The Dyson comes with 4 cleaning tools for different types of jobs and can be used with or without the extended stalk between the vacuum and the cleaning tools. The pieces attach securely with a satisfying click. Removing dirt from the vacuum is simple but more important, the canister is made in a way that causes the process to leave minimal dust. Very important for people like us with breathing issues.

It is easy to hold the vacuum as it weighs about 4 pounds and has a pistol grip. With the stalk, it is 42 inches from grip to bottom, depending on the cleaning tool used. It is a good length for floor cleaning. One negative is that the vacuum only stays on when the trigger is pulled. Another is that the weight can make it wearing to use for large areas. For those reasons I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars. In general, I would not use this vacuum as my primary for a large home. It is great for a smaller apartment, spot jobs, stairs, inaccessible places and vehicles. It is also perfect to clean the places that a robotic vacuum could not reach.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I have a V11 Dyson Cordless vacuum (7 months old), that up until last week I would have given a very positive review. However, the machine malfunctioned, caught fire internally and smoke poured from the back of the unit. This should be a simple warranty exchange. Instead, Dyson Customer service is very difficult to get a hold of. I have had a phone conversation and multiple email exchanges, all over a vacuum. Unless you have time to go back and forth with pictures, emails and nonsense- skip Dyson. Meanwhile, we need a vacuum, so I will purchase another brand this afternoon and Dyson loses a loyal customer.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Animal Vacuum worked fine until it slid gently to the ground and rendered itself completely broken and unrepairable. Sent to Dyson for repair; supposedly they have repaired it, but I may never find out as they sent it to the wrong return address and refuse to make the correction themselves.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

I will start by explaining that I am a Dyson product user. I have replaced most of the parts on my still fully functional Dyson 07, which my wife and I purchased in 2001. About a year ago, the 07 was making some peculiar noises. We decided that after 19 years we would purchase another Dyson. We bought a Dyson UP13, specifically a [TK3-US-MBA1940A] manufacture date, Feb 19. I will speak to two issues with the Dyson UP 13.

1) Stability of the unit while operating hose attachment.

And a more severe issue of,

2) The vacuum beater bar brush drive bearing, melting, and failure.

1) Unit stability issues

The UP13 provides excellent and constant quality vacuuming. When using the hose attachment, the upper handle, suction hose, and cartridge seat tends to fall to the side, to the floor. If there is a wall where it falls, you'll get a scuff or a dent in the wall; if there is a Ming vase that it falls on, call you insurer. Also, please do not count on the UP13 remaining locked in its resting position when wheeling it from location to location. The model falls over all the time when using the hose attachments. On the other side, Dyson has some attachments that are effective for specific purposes.

2) The vacuum beater bar brush drive bearing, melting, and failure.

This issue is more serious. Description: Dyson Beater Bar assemblies connect to the central vacuum air intake at the Dyson Ball Vacuum's bottom front. The Bar Assembly is locked into place with a red plastic retaining clip. I am reporting about the beater bar drive bearing and its support housing. The Vacuum is a Dyson Up13 my family purchased about a year ago. After six months of use, the beater bar drive mechanism fouled with debris, froze, and melted. My investigation revealed that debris had wrapped on the drive spindles was pulled into bearing, and it's the support structure. An acrid burning smell preceded the drive failure. When disassembled, I could see that the whole lower unit needed replacement. Due to the COVID-19 availability of parts, I decided to purchase a full replacement for the failed beater bar assembly.

That unit arrived, and a month later, I had the beater bar assembly on my workbench, and I was unwrapping debris from the drive spindles. We did have some melting of the outward-facing bearing support surfaces; I sanded flat the melted surface, cleaned the bearings, and reassembled the module. The issue is caused by the infiltration and destructive attachment of vacuum debris onto the beater bar drive spindle, leading to the drive mechanism failing. Upon disassembly, we observed the bearing frozen, and the bearing support structure melted to the point of a drive failure. The disassembly is not an easy repair; the dirt should never have the chance of fouling the drive bearings or melting the drive bearing structure. We have had two units fail in the same manner.

If you smell an acrid smell while vacuuming with a UP13, turn your vacuum cleaner off immediately. If you experience a change in your vacuum's performance or operational sound, shut it down. I believe that if enough heat builds up in the drive mechanism, the Vacuum could combust, i.e., light on fire. The beater bar house assembly costs about $100 to replace. The replacement part is an expensive repair and certainly seems like a design failure to me. Hope this helps.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I have a Dyson Animal Ball vacuum that has great suction but the pet hair accumulates around the brush shafts and breaks the shaft so the brushes don't work. I take it apart often when using it which is a pain and time consuming but the shafts still break. It is suppose to be for pet hair but the power head has to be replaced every six months or so. Very disappointed. Now Dyson isn't responding to my e-mails concerning another broken powerhead. It wouldn't be so bad if the hair was just in the brushes but it works its way under the center cover and wraps around the PLASTIC shafts that rotate the brushes and they break.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

So you think you pay extra for a vacuum and a warranty so that you get a good vacuum and some good service. This company keeps giving me the runaround in order to claim my warranty on a vacuum that has broken. I have been on hold 1 hour x 3 and I get people I don't understand on the phone who say they are doing something or sending me a replacement part, then I get an email which is basically a cut and paste from the website about how to empty the dirt chamber (which is the broken part) like I haven't tried all of that.

Then I get back on the phone and I timed it this last time: about every 1. 5 minutes they try to sell me something else (like why would I be so stupid?) or they want to send me into the phone tree again where the recorded voice says press...blah blah "directly get an expert" ....totally word for word...only to get more recorded and redundant information. I feel like this whole thing is a scam to try to advertise more of their stuff and not make good on my warranty, who has time for this stuff???

Dyson Vacuums author review by ConsumerAffairs

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.

• Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.

• Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.

• Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team