3.6/5 (510 ratings)

About Dyson Vacuums

Dyson Vacuums Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I find the Dyson cordless vacuum to be excellent other than very difficult to empty. Instructions tell you to push on a button to remove the stick from the cylinder, however, this is very hard to accomplish. More times than not, I've had to bring it back to where I purchased it and let them empty it. They struggle with it as well. The additional tools for vacuuming along the baseboard are also hard to attach plus very awkward to use.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

I purchased my first Dyson vacuum cleaner (after a lifetime of having nothing but Sears' Kenmore brand canister type vacuums) when my two sons were young and we adopted 2 cats. I knew right away that the old vac would never be able to combat the hair that I was going to encounter and I am an especially clean person, especially so for a man lol.

The model I went with was a Big Ball MultiFloor and my initial impression was simply "Wow!". I always wondered (and disliked) why the old canister vacuum was so weak in terms of suction but this was on another level, this was practically a mini shop vac! The performance was excellent and I enjoyed and used just about every attachment and life was good.

About 8 to 10 months after first buying the Dyson I was using it one day and when I was running it over a kitchen floor mat, I pulled the trigger (which reduces suction for such jobs) and the trigger broke! The trigger itself didn't break but the trigger has a small spring attached to it and that is attached to a piece of plastic in the handle and that piece of plastic is what broke. I was a little disappointed because I had watched the commercials over the years bragging about how these were engineered superiorly but I felt confident because I knew I was still under warranty and I had registered my machine just for easier access to support. Dyson replaced the entire handle piece and I went on from there.

About a year later the same thing happened, the trigger spring broke but by now I was no longer protected by the warranty. I called anyway and in the interest of honesty, I was told initially just what I said, the warranty had expired. I'm not the complaining type but I did feel upset and I remember saying that I bought this machine with the full expectation that it would last 10 years because that's what the Sears' brand machine had lasted and they were half the price! I don't remember exactly what happened but I do know for certain that they sent me another replacement handle.

About 4 years later (so now the machine is 5 years old) I am emptying the canister and I notice that the rubber seal at the base of the canister is coming away from its housing. I thought I probably could fix that myself, but when I tried to fiddle with it I could not find an obvious solution. I emailed Dyson thinking they might be able to provide me with a repair instruction but instead, two days later I got an email confirming shipping of a new part from Dyson! I was shocked because I never asked for a replacement, all I asked for was whether they could provide me with some repair tips.

I really do hope and expect to get another 5 years or so out of my Dyson. And given how well I take care of it (following the maintenance guide, cleaning the filter regularly etc) I can't see how that won't be the case. But knowing how Dyson has improved the design and having experienced their support and the FACT they really do stand behind their products, I've decided that regardless of when the time comes, my next vacuum will be a Dyson.

One last note, I debated back and forth between 4 and 5 stars because in fact, as I mentioned I was disappointed that I did have 3 separate issues with the hardware. But how can I complain when they replaced the parts each time, even though twice I was out of warrantee and the last time I was 4 years past? I have recommended Dyson to friends and that won't change anytime soon!

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I bought this vacuum when I moved into my new house with all hard surface floors. I got a good deal from a big box store with tons of attachments, still trying to figure out what they all do. I have it stored in a closet with all attachments and an outlet. I had one hiccup when the bottom fell out into the trash can when emptying. I googled how to reinstall and got it reattached. It cleans well and easy cleanup.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Our pet's hair was making our lives difficult between our allergies and messed up clothing but when we got our Dyson all those troubles went away along with the hair! We no longer suffer from allergies in our home. We also look sharp without having to lint roll constantly to remove pet hair! Thanks for a great product Dyson!

Original review: July 31, 2021

The Animal is a dustbuster type battery powered vacuum with a long extension so that it can clean carpets and hard surface floors. In addition it can be used for cleaning furniture fabric with a rotating brush head. Very effective. The device has a housing that charges the battery. Note, the filters need cleaning as needed as they are quite fine and get blocked which causes hunting of the motor. A backup cleanable filter is recommended as well as an occasional wash of the metal screens. The device is easily disassembled for cleaning and maintenance.

Original review: May 24, 2022

This was our second Dyson (the first lasted for many years and was great). The V8 was a replacement for the older V6. We put it together, used it, and then tried to empty the dust bin. The dust bin would not open. We called customer service and after a lengthy call, they told us that we would be getting a new dust bin assembly (not a new machine). We were also told that they would not publish our negative review but someone would contact us to see if there was a better solution. That never happened.

After two weeks we got an email that the dust bin assembly would not arrive for another 14 weeks (that's a total of four months without a working vacuum that we already paid for). The return period ends in thirty days so we sent it back. Now we have to wait for a refund for six to eight weeks! Needless to say, we are very disappointed in the lack of Dyson customer service. It's a shame since we will never buy a Dyson product again.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Bought a Dyson V10 vacuum a couple years back. Battery had to be replaced right before the warranty ran out. I’ve had a new battery installed for just a touch over a year and it was fully charged when I started vacuuming on the main power setting. The vacuum cut off and would not start back. It won’t take a charge so Dyson wants me to buy a new battery. This vacuum is only used once per week for about five minutes. I’m a combat veteran with a heart condition and can’t lift heavy weights anymore so I loved the vacuum for its size. But I just can’t see myself buying a $130 battery every year for this machine. And by the way their customer service is horrible. This machine still looks brand new like it’s never been used. I will try my best to find a replacement around the same weight and power specifications so if anyone wants this V10 Just let me know minus the battery. It’s free. I strongly urge you to shop other brands.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I purchased the vacuum a little over 3 years ago and when it works it's adequate, but it breaks down all the time. You have to constantly clean it, the pieces are fragile and break when you do clean it and the battery died/needed to be replaced twice. This was an expensive vacuum, I've spent hours on the phone with their customer service and I had nothing but problems with it. It's now out of warranty and they want me to pay for repairs. In contrast, my previous vacuum was 1/4 the price, lasted 15 years without incident and I never had to clean it. Don't get suckered in by this company, I will think long and hard before I buy another Dyson product.

Original review: April 4, 2022

I ordered a V8 Dyson stick vacuum on March 9 online from Dyson. When it came the battery was so old that it wouldn't accept a charge. Before today, I have phoned twice to get a replacement battery, I still don't have one. I phoned today and was told that it will take 10 to 14 days to process the order, then another 10 to 14 days to be delivered, in other words it might take up to 28 days from today to receive a replacement battery. I find this unacceptable, if the battery does arrive, it will be about 2 months since my original order was placed. I think that Dyson could do better than this, especially when their products are so expensive.

Original review: April 2, 2022

Send back the items. They confirmed they got it. Told me to wait two billing cycles to see the refund. Didn’t get the money back. Called the bank to do a chargeback. They told me the chargeback window is two billing cycles and that they always have this issue with Dyson. It’s been 4 months and did not get any $750 back. Very scammy. Will not order anything else from them ever.

Dyson Vacuums author review by Sandy Baker

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.

• Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.

• Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.

• Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.

by Sandy Baker Contributing Writer

Sandy Baker has written for ConsumerAffairs since 2021. Along with the advice and information her articles provide to consumers, she’s written several books that focus on topics such as retirement planning, bankruptcy, business finance, estate planning and personal credit health.

Dyson Vacuums Company Information