Dyson Vacuums

Compare Vacuums

Research top Vacuums recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased this Dyson Cinetic Big Ball from Dyson Canada online, back in December. When the vacuum arrived I was surprised at the flimsy quality, but was determined to give it a try. The idea of not having to replace bags was exciting, but in actual use it created more of a mess when trying to empty the collection bin. In addition, the bin emptying mechanism is so flimsy, I was scared I was going to break it each time I used it. And after only about half a dozen uses, one of the wheels broke off. The machine is definitely not worth the extra expense. I emailed Dyson and demanded a refund. They did send a return box fairly quickly, but the actual refund did take some time. I am now a proud owner of a Miele, which I find works better, and is better built as well.

My original service request was ignored. Four days later, I followed up and called to have them check to determine why nothing had been done to process my service request. It took her only a few minutes to contact UPS and schedule a pickup date for the following day, as I originally requested. The original representative had argued with me about the method of shipment regarding UPS picking it up at my door. When I explained I was elderly and could not manage carrying a heavy vacuum into the UPS store, plus dealing with severe weather/road conditions here, he agreed to process my request and told me Dyson would contact me shortly. I never heard from them, so had to contact them once again. I own 2 Dysons and the next vacuum I buy will NOT be a Dyson due to their poor quality of customer service.

I bought the Dyson DC65 about two years ago. It has been the worst vacuum I have ever owned especially since it cost $500.00. Dyson claims it never loses suction... What a blatant lie! This vacuum stays stopped up. We have cleaned it out many, many times over the years we have owned, cleaned the filters and have tried to never pick up anything with it that shouldn't be vacuumed up. The wand has worked less than 25% of the time I have owned it. Part of the reason I bought it was for the long hose and the wand.

The other issue is how is it hypo-allergenic when once you open it to dump out what you have vacuumed the dust and particles flies all over the house or in your face. I tried calling customer service once; I will not make that mistake again. They were no help at all. I'm not mailing this vacuum to you to fix; a $500.00 vacuum should work and not have these types of issues. Save your money and do your research. I should have!

I received a Dyson DC59 Cordless Animal Vac as a gift on Dec. 25, 2014. It had a 2 year warranty. In November 2016, I started having problems with it only running for about 2 minutes then stopping. I called Dyson & the lady told me that it will only run for 2 minutes if it's on Max & that if it is charged on Max, it drains the battery. I knew this was not true because I had run it on Max many times & it usually lasted 20-25 minutes. I also had charged it on Max before & the battery was not drained. I told her that I was pretty sure it needed a new battery. She told me that it was not a problem with the battery & I just needed to run it on Low. I told her fine BUT I wanted it on record that I had called about it before the warranty expired. She assured me that it was on record.

So in early January, it totally stopped working. I called again & this lady walked me through the process of checking my battery, which proved that it was dead. She said that she did see where I had called about it in November. She then told me that they could send me a new battery for $83.14 plus shipping. I was like, "NO WAY! I had a problem with it before this." She then informed me that yes, I did have a prior problem but if I had called in December, they would have covered it. Now, we are only 2 weeks past warranty with a previous problem.

I told her that I would like to speak with a supervisor. After several minutes on hold, she came back only to tell me that there was no one available but she would put in a request for someone to call me back in 5-8 business days. Well, this is March 8th & I still have never received that callback. I had also purchased 2 other Dyson cordless vacs for my daughters. I will say that Dyson will never see another penny from me! If you DO NOT have good customer service, your product isn't worth anything at all!!!

On 22 February 2017 I saw a Dyson advert on Google for a DC58 Animal cordless vacuum cleaner for $249. When I clicked on the link I was taken to the Dyson site where the price was now $349. After phoning and emailing Dyson, I was told that, even though the product was advertised at $249, they would not supply it for that price. That made me think... if they are not prepared to stand behind their advertised price, would they be prepared to stand behind the products that they sell? Sadly, after reading the reviews on this site, my conclusion is no, they probably would not. False advertising. How easy is it to trash a reputation!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Initially, I was delighted with this wonderful product (DYSON DC65 ANIMAL UPRIGHT) with its amazing, well-designed, roller head that is an excellent animal hair remover -- seriously -- the best ever! BUT this great product is manufactured from brittle plastic that is extremely fragile. Complaints:

1. EXPENSIVE. When the life expectancy of this product is weighed up against its initial purchase price -- it's a rip-off. The market is beginning to open up to competition from more reliable brands.
2. FRAGILE. The swivel C-clip connector is made from brittle plastic; spring steel would be better. (They could plastic coat it to make it look pretty). The mechanism that opens and closes the perspex flap to empty waste should also be made of spring steel because it is frail and troublesome.
3. NOT TRUSTWORTHY. When standing upright, the upright handle sometimes flops back -- this has caused me to damage some interior walls.
4. FRUSTRATING TO USE. This model vacuum cleaner is almost impossible to use on stairs. Its limitations extend to the tight upholstery head that is difficult to manipulate when in use and difficult to put back correctly when not in use.
5. MEDIOCRE BACKUP. The backup service keeps you waiting for ages if you phone during lunch or tea-break hours. They don't like to hear complaints about their product. A new c-clip was sent out to me one week after I contacted them -- it arrived broken because it was poorly packaged and the product is brittle. No doubt I will have to wait another week for the next one to arrive. In the meanwhile, I have reverted to using my old vacuum cleaner, and have since found that I can get a roller head to fit it that works well.
6. SHORT LIFE EXPECTANCY. I am concerned that when my 2-year warranty expires, I might be left without any backup; nobody has come forward to tell me anything different.

7. I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT to anyone who values their investments.

Dyson services suck. I have a Dyson vacuum cleaner that is under 5-year warranty, including on-site visit. They insisted that they can only attend to my request 3 weeks after I've called them something in January. After that, I could no longer contact them anymore. Nobody picks up the call on the service hotline. Finally I wrote to them and one of the most unhelpful staff in the world called me back and when I asked where is the technician, is he coming, why is it that nobody answers the calls (I tried calling from morning 9.00 a.m. to 4 p.m.), I heard another staff at the back coaching this staff to lie to me, saying that they are experiencing a high call vol. My gosh, for vacuum cleaners? You have high call vol and cannot answer calls for the whole day?

The vacuum cleaners actually broke down so often... Each time I called, I was on the line for up to 20 mins, and they cannot pick up my call??? Absolute rubbish, they were clearly lying and until now I have yet to get my vacuum cleaner. So much for a 5-year warranty when there is no one to service the warranty. On top of that, Dyson Singapore makes sure that nobody can get through the service hotline to file a complaint or to get their devices fixed.

Dyson adds to the throw-away society. I bought a Dyson battery vacuum cleaner £350 2 1/2 years ago. Within a year the motor stopped. Got a replacement from Dyson (2 year guarantee) and inserted it. Another 16 months down the line the motor stopped again. Now I'm out of guarantee and they want another £70 for a new motor assembly. I refuse as this would push the purchase price to £419 for a silly little hoover! Dyson refuse to budge (as is their right to) but I now have several kg. of plastic and electronics to go onto the heap! It's insane! I bought a VAX battery operated model at £119 instead - same (if not better suction), same battery power and if this goes within 2 years I haven't waste much! Needless to say I won't make that mistake again...

Multiple attachments come with each Dyson offering, & these are primarily redundant. However, no color coding labeling exist so that the user can differentiate which one of your telescoping goes to which unit. You see, there's about 1/16" size diff, meaning that they are NOT interchangeable. In addition, the "1st grade" Owner's Manual fails to adequately explain (pictorially, of course) anything beyond that which is obvious to someone WITHOUT an Owner's Manual. It seems like they "fixed" a product that "wasn't broken", in order to hype the "improvements" that are expected over time with ANY brand/product.

The effort to make it "new & improved" has resulted in "new, confusing, more fragile & heavier". Besides that, I've had to rent the house next door and hire someone to categorize/catalog the redundant attachments with the "oh, so subtle" variations in compatibility that necessitate (1) each for my four Dyson products. Having spent over $1,000 Dyson's way in the past four months, I'm shipping the two newest units back and powering up the Kirby.

After just three years of light use, the motor has failed in my Dyson cordless vacuum. To my amazement, Dyson inform me that the expected life of these motors, as determined by their own lab tests, is just two years! Who in their right mind would spend so much money on a product with a possible life expectancy of just two years?

Vacuum cleaner has excellent suction, good hose length. Vacuum cleaner burnt out at 11 months old and we don't even have pets to clean up after! Fluff continually blocked the lower end of hose and had to constantly manually remove built up lint that would get stuck on bristles then rattle and block hose. Power rug attachment very rough on floor carpets. It's under a 5 year warranty so I will be interested to see if Dyson repair or replace. My daughter has an Electrolux equivalent back home in Australia and loves it.

Dyson animal, very handy and worked well for a year and a half approx. It slowed down and suddenly just stopped working towards the end of the 2nd year. This was a gift. I received very poor response from Dyson Canada. I was hoping that it would be replaced and maybe I would have to pay a minimum. Very expensive and poor customer service. Very Disappointed!

I just saw a commercial on the NEW Dyson cordless vacuum with 40 minutes of battery life. This irritates the hell out of me as I bought the old model not even 6 mths ago. Now the model I own is maybe 10 mins of life! Not only that but I use this everyday and it has got worse and worse! Do NOT buy this product. You can find something much better for much less money. This is my 2nd Dyson. The 1st not cordless and they both suck! And not in the way they are supposed to! Way, way too expensive for what you get! A joke. I will NEVER buy from this company again! Customer service sucks as well! I repeat do your homework and DO NOT BUY A DYSON!!!

I have 2 Dyson products in my home and I like them very much. So I decided to send Dyson Cordless Vacuums to 2 people for gifts this past holiday. One of them went well - gift was ordered and delivered within 5 days. So far so good. When I tried to order the second one, things went wrong and continued to go wrong. The company website was down. It wouldn't accept my credit card. I called and waited more than 30 minutes. They took my credit card number and said it was fine - then I got an email saying the order was cancelled. I went on hold again for at least 30 minutes and was told it was my credit card that was the problem. So I used a different credit card. I was told that order had gone through. But it didn't. So I got back on the phone, again waiting for approximately 30 minutes. They advertise that they will call you back but both times I have used that feature, no one ever called back.

The gentleman who tried to help me was very nice and mentioned that the problem was with my credit card and suggested I call the credit card company, which I did. The credit card company informed me that there was no problem whatsoever with my card. So I spoke to the very nice man again and he tried but the card would not go through on his end - I used the card that day for other purchases and all were fine - so I used my husband's credit card. Then I got an email saying the order was cancelled.

We kept trying until finally, it went through. I made it very clear when I placed the order, on more than one occasion, that it was a gift and gave the address for delivery - I specifically stated that the shipping address was different from the billing address. All sounded good. So imagine my surprise when I get a knock on my door and it's Purolator, with a Dyson vacuum!!! I could not believe it. I told them to send it back and then emailed my friend at Dyson. He blamed Purolator. I wrote to service@dyson.ca who wrote back and said that the fault lay with Purolator. I wrote them again and asked for a manager so I could make a formal complaint. The response I got was that it was somehow Purolator's fault and that I was going to have to contact them.

After 4 or 5 emails I realized that DYSON DOESN'T CARE AT ALL ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE. NOT AT ALL. The vacuum is still not delivered and I really would love to complain to their head office, but judging from the complaints I see here, it's not a one off. THEY REALLY DON'T CARE. My advice would be if you are going to get a Dyson, get it from a reputable, local store that might give a rat's ass about customer service and if something goes wrong, you'll be in better shape. Whatever you do, DO NOT DEAL WITH THEIR ONLINE STORE.

Dyson DC25 - I was so excited to order the Dyson vacuum. Watching the advertisements... Looked like a great product. Shortly after a year the brush stopped spinning, we ordered a new motor, my husband put it in and I was glad it was working again. Not even a year later... That motor went again! I am so upset with this purchase. I had a Eureka, Hoover and so on, and NEVER had any issues like this. I just bought new ones for the sake of having newer models. I've had vacuums last 15+ years and a hell of a lot cheaper. For the price of these vacuums, it's such a disappointment. I would NOT recommend this product. Thanks a lot Dyson, now I have to buy another vacuum and this one is only 3 years old!!! And it won't be a Dyson.

The Dyson animal (model 492 CA A57891) is just that, the most poorly designed vac for the price, only pro is the bag system. The self-store hose is most annoying. As soon as you turn it on the vacuum is under your feet or making your shins bleed or lying on its side. Anything that is higher than the width of a hair will not be picked up, reminds you of the commercial where the operator tries 2 or 3 times to pick an item up and then bends over picks it up and feeds it into the vacuum. We had a 55 year old vacuum that works better and you are not tired after using it.

Another annoying thing is the cord, when doing carpets it is always under your feet so you use one hand to hold cord and the other on the vac and have to drop the cord to move items as you vac. It is amazing how many times you have to physically pick this heavy animal up to move it around, not any easy task for most women to handle. Parts keep fall off. We have had this item for little over a year thinking it would grow on us but each day we dislike it more. If we could get bags for the old SINGER VAC we would go back using it. I would say technology has not moved forward as ergonomics are concerned.

I ordered my dyson heater 25 November. It is now 10 Jan. I don't have my heater still. I have been on the phone for over 8 hours, talked to 4 different people. All 4 people have told me lies to get me off the phone. They won't call me back but they have taken my money. It takes on average 1.5 hours to get through to customers service. Then you don't get any help at all. So now I'm going to complain on all the social media sites about the bad service Dyson are giving me.

We purchased the Cinetic for our home. We have a Siberian, so we thought the animal would work the best for us. The dog is in the house an hour or less during the day. Upon using it the first time the machine stopped working. The motor ran but there was no vacuum created. After looking over the machine I observed that the round screen on the pick up head was clogged with fiber from the living room carpet. I next went to the dining room, oriental carpet under the table with hardwood floor around it. The machine clogged again before I even finished the room. This continues to be the way it works every time I use the unit. We have a 20+ year old Electrolux that works well and will go back into service. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy this machine if you have pets, or any living moving humans in the home. I am totally dissatisfied with the unit.

My husband bought me a Dyson for xmas a year ago. What a mistake. It never worked right. The battery never last more than 10 minutes and now the big brush stop working. I don't have carpet, only hardwood floor. I'm very disappointed in their product. My friends was going to purchased one and I told her she was making a big mistake. She didn't after reading the reviews. I will never buy another Dyson again because they don't stand behind their product.

I was so excited to purchase my Dyson vacuum after all the amazing things I heard about the quality of the product, so I didn't mind paying a premium to receive a great vacuum. However, the customer service has been absolutely atrocious! I ordered my vacuum on December 25th with expedited shipping. I wanted it shipped to my in-laws' address where I was staying. 5 days later my vacuum still has not shipped even though the website said it would process and ship my order within 2 days.

I now have to change my shipping address as it seems now that my vacuum won't arrive in time. I sent Dyson CS an email to change the shipping address and no response. I waited nearly 2 HOURS to speak to a representative who could not tell me the status of the order and could not change the shipping address. I sent a follow up email and still no response. I have now sent a complaint email and still no response. I cannot believe that such a premium product is followed by such crappy customer service.

We got the Dyson v6 animal cordless. It picks up dirt better than any vacuum we've ever owned. It also is very convenient to store and switch out attachments. Plus, it has a 2 year parts and labor warranty. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Received the Dyson Compact Ball (Dyson Ball Animal Upright Vacuum animal - Corded) for Christmas from my son who purchased it on Amazon. Today (12/27) attempted to register it online. Was not able to because it indicated that the product serial number AP9-US-HHA1579A was already registered! So next is a phone call to customer service. I was placed on hold and gave up after 30 minutes. My wife called back and finally got someone after 39 minutes! So if we had such horrible experience with just registering a new product, imagine if we really need help with the product.

I have had 3 hot/cod Dyson heaters. They all failed in about 1 year. I have a Dyson cordless. The trigger switch failed and they tell me that I need to purchase a completely new head. What company designs a product that you cannot replace component parts. This unit was just about over 1 year also. I also have a Dyson animal. This lasted about 2 years before the on switch failed to work. I have spent over $1500.00 on Dyson and all of these units ended up in the trash because Dyson does not make good for their bad designs.

My vc failed to charge after 1 yr I bought it. I called cs and they said they will send a new battery pack. I followed up after a week. They said they will send it out later. I also wrote an email to check the status. Then they replied saying it is in back order and don't know when the stock will be in and delivery date. I asked them to provide expedited delivery due to prolonged waiting. Cs said they don't have such service.

It is Xmas time. I have no vc to clean my place for 2 weeks and even during xmas. I will have guests to visit. I probably won't be able to clean until 2017. If the quality of this product is good, why the battery pack will be in back order? Why would you pay a premium price for such a poor quality product and customer service? Please save your money and buy anything cheaper. Even if it breaks down, you can just buy a new one without dealing with such a useless cs.

I bought the stick vacuum a couple of years ago and it seems only staying one for l essential than a minute and progressively getting worse. I paid over $400.00 for this and should be one of the best. Extremely disappointed. Talked to three other people about their some and are complaining about the same thing plus it hardly picks up. I also purchased the canister Dyson, and am so disappointed in that also. It won't pick up hardly anything. When you pay that much for a product, it should work perfectly. Will never or recommend another one. Dyson should make this right!!!

So I decided to spoil myself this Christmas and get myself a Dyson V6 absolute vacuum. Thing looks awesome worked great for a day very pretty item. Here's what happened… So on day two of actually having the vacuum I go to use it and there's a little HEPA filter on the back that falls off what hits the floor there's some gray plastic that hits the floor with some purple plastic which is the piece that actually fell off and I called up Dyson to see what we do about getting a new motor unit sent out to me.

I explain the situation and Anita was pretty rude to me talking over the top of me not listening to what I was trying to explain and then as I'm explaining something she put me on hold without even asking me while I was in mid sentence. Now I will say from the beginning I was aggravated and angry when she explained what they want to do. But I didn't curse and I was his plight as I could be in an aggravated mode. I've never experience this type of behavior from the call center. Having worked in IT trust me I know this is not the norm.

So they suggest that I put the broken piece and the motor unit drive it two towns away to a UPS store that they have a contract with so they can ship my unit to Paramus New Jersey in order for them to fix it and send it back to me. Now mind you I just paid for a brand new $500 vacuum that they want to refurbish and send back to me. It's three days old. So I would not have a vacuum for at least one week and in the end I paid $500 for a refurbished vacuum. So obviously I do the smart thing to do I threw it all back in a box and I sending it back as an return instead of trying to do a fix.

I was so outraged at their proposed fix. You would think having purchased the most advanced expensive vacuum on the market that they would say "I am so sorry sir we're gonna send you out a new motor with the HEPA filter when overnight. When you receive the package please put your old unit back in there and send it back via our prepaid label." That is what customer support should do. It's what my customer support customer support what I would do in my business.

So now I'm stuck with the dilemma of actually getting a shark vacuum or purchasing another Dyson after having such a bad taste in my mouth I don't know that I'm going to go back to Dyson.

I know a few people have recommended the sharks and I had one in the past and I think I'll go back to it. It is just a shame that someone making the most expensive, highest marked up product, it is more about the name like apple then actually having a great product. You would think with all the hype and the high price in the vacuum market has such poor customer service it's a sad joke. I'll get off my soapbox now.

My Dyson DC14 has always done a great job and I really do like it. What am I suppose to do with it now that it broke in half? This is plastic and can't be fixed or taped up. I bought it at Lowe's and do not have an order number. Help!

My wife made the mistake of purchasing a Dyson vacuum, thinking it was a good product, due to the price you pay. What a mistake to believe that because you pay a lot, you think you're getting a good, well designed product. We have had nothing but problems with it clogging up, taking it apart and trying to unclog it. Which is VERY time consuming and frustrating, because it is so difficult to get to the clogs and get back together. Not satisfied with this product.

I purchased the above machine directly from Dyson on the 17 November to replace our small Hoover. It arrived a week or so later but proved to be quite useless. It couldn't even pick up tiny stones from underneath our shoes, something our old and fading Hoover could do easily. Disappointed, I went onto their website and went through the various steps suggested to clear any obstructions but did not find anything. I got my son to check my assembly for any problems but he was satisfied I had done it correctly.

I saw from the guarantee that I could return the machine for a refund within 30 days of my purchase providing I still had the box which, fortunately, I kept. But here comes the problem - it's impossible to contact anyone at Dyson to get the required permission to return and their return address. I cannot find any contact email address and the phone numbers are unanswered. Like other complainants I am put on hold with a message telling me endlessly that due to unusually high call volume etc. I sincerely wish I had consulted Consumer Affairs before I made this purchase.

This product turned out to be the world's most expensive Dirt Devil. I spent about $400.00 on a machine that died within 2 years and was so weak that it couldn't even vacuum up baking soda on its final day. I purchased my Dyson Animal Ball Upright from Best Buy in December 2014. The claim that Dyson never loses suction is laughable at best. In fact, the suction was so poor that I clogged up every time I used it. I had to take it apart down to the filter and clean it out every time I ran it through a 10x10 low pile carpeted room. I have a 50/50 hardwood and carpet mix in my house. Additionally, my 2 dogs have short hair, but they shed a fair amount. The vacuum was so weak that it was easier to sweep the hardwood because the vacuum just pushed debris around the floor.

Additionally, the canister filled up very quickly. My home is 1400 square feet, but I had to empty the vacuum 3 times while using it to tackle the entire house in 1 pass. The cord is extremely short and poorly placed. In order to use the hose you need to remove the cord. The hose is also short and poorly built. Our house is small, but this machine's hose couldn't reach the 10 ft to the top of the staircase. You're better off saving your money for a quality vacuum, but if you absolutely don't have it, just get the Dirt Devil instead. It's going to give you the same terrible performance either way. If you're wondering, I replaced the Dyson with a Simplicity upright vacuum.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.
  • Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.
  • Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.
  • Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.
  • Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.
  • Best for Dyson's powerful vacuums are good options for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Compare Vacuum Cleaners