2.55/5

Dyson Vacuums Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

646 Dyson Vacuums Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I've ordered V10 Absolute cordless cleaner on Black Friday sales at Dyson Website. They provide two more free tools. One of them is tool bag and the other is Cyclone V10 Dok and saying I've saved 352.03$. But when it delivered first time V10 only. Their excuse was too heavy order through sale periods. And finally I've got two free tools but they sent mattress tools worth 29.00$ instead of V10 Dok a worth 149.99$. Now they saying my order was not included that V10 Dok.

Here's screen capture of my order from Dyson website and what I've received from them yesterday.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I had a Dyson DC21 Canister full kit for about the 4 years and I it had some minor problem that the warranty cover and repaired them in reasonable time, unexpectedly it stop working and I called customer service for repair service. They said that this machine is out of production so the spare part not available then they proposed the DC 41 Canister a refurbished for replacement. I received the new Vacuum cleaner that look same as my previous vacuum cleaner but with the less standard accessories (I should buy the missed accessories separately from Dyson), anyway it was not the bad side of this replacement. The new vacuum cleaner in the first use, stopped working each 5 min for around 1 min then restart again and this time reduces to the 3 min working time in the following sequence!!!

After this experience I packed the vacuum cleaner and called to customer service for resolve the problem by replacing the damaged appliance that they sent me. Incredibly they asked me to repair the new vacuum cleaner. They replaced my old vacuum cleaner with another damaged machine!! Customer service did not answer my request and always said we will call you but never called again. The guaranty of the machine will come to end and there is no responsibility for their error.

I believe they have other tools for refusing this kind of complaint. If you call with the registered telephone number to customer service, the average answering time is about 45 min but if you call them with non-registered phone number in their system, this waiting time reduced to around 10 to 15 min!! By this experience this is my last purchase of Dyson product, strongly not recommended!!

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

On 26 November, I ordered a Dyson ball origin as a Christmas gift for my sister, which I regret more than I can describe. It is now 18 December and I have spent hours on the phone to track down the vacuum that was supposed to be delivered for 2 day delivery weeks ago. They told me to file a police report for a package that they show as "in transit" on their package tracking. What a horrible excuse for a company. Absolutely no customer service and no accountability.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

My husband purchased the Dyson V7 Motorhead as a Christmas present in 2017. We had used a canister Electrolux for years in our multi-level 4 bedroom home and loved it. After moving into a townhouse condo with minimal electrical outlets, carrying the canister vacuum up and down three levels, searching for outlets, was less than enjoyable. The condo is roughly 1200 sq.ft and I have run out of power multiple times. We have vinyl flooring throughout except for the stairs. The suction is poor, leaving cat hairs behind. Not wanting to hurt my husband's feelings, I kept quiet for several months. Now seriously considering purchasing a new cordless vacuum. My daughter has a Shark and is very happy with it - she also has cats! After hearing commercials expounding on the excellence of Dyson cordless vacuums, I was very disappointed. For the price, the quality is lacking.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

As a long-time owner of Dyson vacuum cleaners, we purchased our third one - Dyson Big Ball Animal vacuum cleaner approximately 6 months ago. The carpet roller brush is already worn out, leading me to call to Dyson for a replacement under warranty. The part is on back-order, and no time frame was provided. In the interim, there was no concern for how the vacuum is working and no effort to offer a temporary solution. The current carpet roller brush does not work effectively. Really substandard quality and poor customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I purchased a Dyson V6 animal stick rechargeable about 3 years ago. Very poor for the price you pay. Will never buy another Dyson product. Got it with some air miles and sorry I didn’t buy something different. From the first day it overheated on turbo mode but it worked fine on normal mode, my fault for not returning but you have to ship it back in the box it came in. After a bit of use the part that goes into the canister to hold the stick came out. I was able to get it back in though. After a bit more use all the pieces that snap together came loose and kind of flop around, however it still worked. I then tried to find filters for it locally and good luck with that had to find them on Amazon.

Then after about 2 & 3/4 years it would not hold a charge, called Dyson and they said they would send me a new battery for free but I would have to be home to sign for it. I informed them I would be away for a few days and could they just order it and ship it a few days later, I was told no, I then come back home and called again to order, I was informed they were out of batteries but would have some in 2 to 3 weeks and I would have to call again to order. Good thing this is not our main vacuum. These vacuums are a very poor quality for the money spent, don’t suck that well either. Do research prior to buying a stick vac, there are some at half the price with good reviews. Dyson needs to figure out an easier way to get parts for their products.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

So, I purchased a Dyson V7 Hepa cordless vacuum last night when the company was closed. After I made the online purchase, I realized I made a mistake and should have ordered the Dyson V7 Absolute due to the fact the I needed the soft brush attachment since all my floors are either tile or wood. I called the company at 8am when they opened to let them know that I would like to change my order to upgrade to the V7 Absolute and pay the remaining money owed. I was told that they can not do that. They need to process the order and ship it to me then I can return it and place an order for the vacuum I actually want.

Explain to me how this is good customer service... even better how this is good business practice to fully understand the product I ordered is still sitting in the warehouse and I want to buy a machine that is more expensive, why they would want to send it to me and have me send the product back and then reorder the correct one. After this fiasco, I will resend them the one that comes to me and I will never be purchasing another product from this company. It's very sad that a company with such a great product can have such and business practices and idiotic customer service reps.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Just called Customer Service for a hand held Dyson that is not charging, They told me the charger is faulty but because I'm 5 months outside warranty they would not send out a free replacement. This Dyson has only been used 15 times. We have Dyson hoovers x2 (for 2 homes). Bought my mum a hand held and we have x2 handhelds and just bought the full hair range of Dyson (which I will return now). Promised my mum a floor Dyson for Xmas but will explain to her why Dyson is not the way forward- unless she wants to sponsor their side revenue stream for additional replacements. Apple and other chargers don't do this. We have (like most homes) a range of high end electrical products- never had a charger go on the blink. Our charger and Dyson products in general are kept immaculately. There is no way the charger has been in any way mishandled and used maybe only 7 times in total.

Further this particular machine developed a fault within 4 months of its purchase- they had to send out a replacement battery shortly after it was purchased. THE PRODUCT IS CLEARLY DEFECTIVE and when I asked for the supervisor I was told- he will not come to the phone because he says you should just pay for a new charger. :) Tells everything. Will buy Miele which is German made and far superior as a product next time and this is the end of our relationship with Dyson. Looking forward to return my recent purchases.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I've tried all my best to get in touch with customer service from Dyson regarding my issues. I got burned while I was using the vacuum V7 and I was supposed to get a phone call from the safety assurance and so far I haven't. I feel that Dyson is not taking my case serious about this matter, we are traumatized to use this device and It need to be replacing to another model at this point. I gave Dyson opportunity to repair this vacuum V7 and it come back worst than before. This unattended from the escalating team it's unacceptable.

Nice 11-year-old was helping me vacuum the stairs and felt due to a electricity: electric current while using the vacuum she is now traumatized!! We all are traumatized by our experience with this V7 Dyson. Unfortunately, since Dyson is not taking a seriously our injured complaints I have no other choose to file a complaint to Better Business Bureau, Consumer Reports and perhaps file a class lawsuit on this matter!!! Dyson??? ⚠️NEED TO RECALL THEIR V7 VACUUM- ELECTRIC SHOCK AND BURNED MY HANDS.
`

‪DYSON ⚠️ It's giving a electric Shock, none of static shock which Dyson is trying to washing their hands on this matter. They are not taking seriously the damaged it has caused TO MY NIECE, MYSELF AND MY HUSBAND AND IT COULD DO TO OTHER CUSTOMERS THAT OWN DYSON V7??? RECALL -URGENT‬. I was looking forward to get a best resolution from Dyson however they are not taking responsibility on their own faults of a malfunctioning vacuum.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I purchased the Dyson AM05 Hot+Cool Fan in 2016. I used it only a hand full of times during this time. Last week I used it to heat a room and it worked about a week and than would not turn on. I contacted Dyson only to learn the warranty expired a few months before and they no longer supported this model as they now have new models. I spent over 400.00 for a fan that only worked 2 years with minimal use and happened to break right after the warranty expired and cannot be repaired! So what they told me is this very expensive fan only lasts 2 years if you are lucky! The customer support told me sorry but we cannot help you. Please purchase a newer model.

This is totally unacceptable. Dyson does not stand behind their products after 2 years! I know of no other quality, expensive appliance that operates like this.

The public needs to be aware of what they are getting when they purchase a Dyson product! This company should not be selling high end very expensive merchandise that should last for years and years but actually breaks right after the short 2 year warranty expires. They should at least offer to examine the device to see if it is a defect! You would think they would want to know???

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Purchased unit and 3 weeks later the battery fault light comes on! Called Dyson helpline and they said take it back to Costco for refund, and they did. I defy anyone to get all the parts back in the box it came in. The instructions are not very user friendly. This battery fault is common apparently. I do like the unit when it works, not for whole house but great for kitchen and litter box area clean ups. I hope it's not an expensive piece of junk!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I ordered a Cordless V6 cordless on Nov 22 2018, I qualified for 2 day shipping. They sent me a tracking number from UPS and when I tracked it, it didn’t leave the facility, it was in Ontario CA. Fast forward 2 weeks later, I called Dyson customer service and they kept telling me that my order shipped and in transit. I kept on explaining to them that the tracking number said it's still in Ontario and I want a refund instead. They said I will have to wait for the vacuum in order for me to get the refund. Shaking my head here, How am I going to get my money back when this order never left their facility. What a way to cheat their customer, I thought Dyson is a big company that they will be more forward and honest to their customers. I am still waiting for a refund here.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I ordered the Dyson Cordless V8 Vacuum over two weeks ago. They took my money and promise 2 day shipping. I ordered it directly from Dyson.com - big mistake. Every few days I email customer service to find out where my vacuum is and every time I get the same rote email (exact word for word). It is processing and I will get a notice in 2 to 3 days. Nothing. I tried to cancel the order but they refuse to cancel. I have to return the vacuum when it is delivered. Then wait 8 weeks for my refund.

I have never experienced anything like this with any company I have ever dealt with. It is unbelievable. I got tired of waiting and bought a corded Shark Rocket Ultra Light for 1/3 of the price. It is amazing! 30 foot cord so that's not an issue. Works like a dream with no battery issues and the suction is top notch. Vacuumed carpet I thought was clean and ended up with a cup full of dirt and carpet fibers. Wow. Forget the Dyson - their lack of respect for customers from the get go should be a warning of future experiences.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Do NOT buy from Dyson.com. They didn’t process my vacuum order properly online even after two follow up calls. Customer service agents simply don’t listen. I called them to cancel the order as I found an equivalent deal on Amazon. Two weeks later, my vacuum was shipped by them even after canceling the order that wasn’t processed properly. You have been warned.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I bought a brand new Dyson Cyclone V10 Animal in September. On November 26th I went to use it, it wasn't working at all. So I called in, and with talking to a few agents and getting a conclusion, I was told it battery pack was faulty. So... the battery that is supposed to last 15 years... lasted 2 months? Okay ** happens. I was told they were going to rush my order, considering I have this vacuum because of my large breed and hairy dogs. 2 days... I call and they say my order was "picked" and will see a shipping confirmation by Thursday... Saturday comes... nothing.

So I call and they say it will be between 11 and 16 business days to ship (not including weekends or holidays). I explained that I has spoken to 2 other reps and they told me completely different I formation blah blah blah. This person transferred me to a supervisor who told me oh... 7-10 days. Why? UPS is too busy. Weird. I ordered a new phone and got it the next day from UPS. What alright. Finally I got my shipping confirmation today. December 7th. If I wanted to by a dinky vacuum I would have. And if I wanted to be treated like I spent 1$ on it... I would have gone to dollar tree. It's pretty sad they offer free 2 day shipping on new products but with people who have already purchased they offer 1 month shipping!!! Way to take the money and run Dyson!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We bought a Dyson V8 last Dec, 2017. It worked for 5 times (20 mins each time) and then stopped. I phoned Dyson US to get a new battery in April 2018, we were definitely under warranty then, and we still are now. I was told a battery was being sent, and I received an invoice/receipt ($0.00) and a item number and told it would arrive in 3 weeks. I actually believed this. Hah! Nothing ever arrived. I have begun to call yet again to ask for this essential battery pack. I was on the phone for over an hour and a half yesterday only to learn Dyson does not sell the battery packs, it doesn't sell most of the repair parts for the machines they manufacture (and Amazon doesn't handle them either).

I learned that I have to take my machine to the 'nearest' UPS store and they will pack up my stick vacuum and send it to be fixed, to some unknown place. Then it will then be sent back to me. Really? Today I received a number to use with UPS, and I was told where I was to go to drop off my machine. The destination is more 2 hours drive from my home, meaning more than a 4 hour return drive just to take my vacuum to be dropped off at this UPS store that will send it 'some place' to get a new battery. First of all, I am not making a 4+ hour drive to drop off my machine. Second of all, who is going to guarantee that I will EVER get this back? Considering I've been working on this for 9 months without any success, I'd be out of my mind to consider this as a solution to the vacuum cleaner not working.

I will never buy another Dyson anything ever ever ever. The Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs should be reviewing this company, one which overcharges upwards of $800 per stick vacuum and then does not supply the repair parts. I would certainly write a letter to Dyson Head Office asking for consideration, but you cannot get in touch with these people. You can contact a call centre in Chicago, but nobody there knows what to do. Please, do not buy a Dyson product. They aren't just overpriced, they leave you with no recourse when the item does not work.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I bought a vacuum that stopped working and the battery is faulty. Told by their repairman that it needs to be sent back to the company. Company refuses to service. Refused to take back. This is a scam. Please please do not buy this vacuum.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I bought a v7 that lasted about a year when its battery died on us. We sent it in and it was replaced with a new v7. However the new v7 lasted less than a month before we had the same problem with the battery. So I sent the second v7 in for repairs and also ordered a new v10, planning to gift the v7 to a family member when it returned. The v10 just arrived brand new and never used (presumably) at my door and the battery is defective and will not charge. This is absolutely ridiculous. Needless to say I will not buy any Dyson battery operated products in the future if they cannot fix their quality issues with their batteries.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

We purchased Dyson V8. The first two months we got about 15 minutes of vacuuming done before it needed a recharge. Thereafter it started shutting down in 5 minutes. Dyson should be sued for misrepresentation.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Purchased a Dyson V6 Absolute from the Canada Home Shopping Channel in early 2016 for around $800. It worked fine for 2 years. Now shuts off after 5 seconds. Shopping Channel account doesn't keep receipts. On hold with the Dyson customer service number forever. This is a poor product with no support...will never buy a Dyson again.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I purchased a V* cordless in Sept 2016. Two weeks ago noticed that when I put it on the charger, the blue lights blinked and it would not charge. So I contacted DYSON customer service and they say because it is 6 weeks out of the two year warranty - I am on my own. Plus, I bought it from HSN who cannot provide me with a receipt to show that this vacuum is really only 18 months old. HSN says they cannot go back more than a year for receipts on purchases. NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY FROM DYSON.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

BUYER BEWARE!!! Don't waste your money. This vacuum sucks! But not literally. It does NOT work for more than 15 minutes without the battery dying and then literally taking hours to recharge. So basically you can't clean your house with this vacuum. I called Dyson. They sent a new battery even though the vacuum is brand new (three months old) and the problem revealed itself on day one. It's too late for me to return it -- no 90 day worry free warranty -- so basically I wasted almost to $400 on this piece of you-know-what. And wouldn't you know they just came out with updated technology that touts a longer battery life? This means the company obviously knew this was a major problem that needed to be fixed, but Dyson won't take responsibility to passing off the bad technology to consumers and then saying, "Tough luck, lady." I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DYSON AGAIN. PS - My previous vacuum was a Dyson and I loved it.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

This cordless vacuum is the bomb. Easy to assemble, easy to move around, easy to empty, the only thing I would improve upon is a little bigger canister to hold more. Other than that it's five star. I have a built-in vac that is a pain to haul. Such a long cord all over the house. This one is super easy snap and go and in no time that job is done. I'm just sorry I didn't buy it years ago.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

One of the worst customer service experience. A very well sentenced life is what you get for every question you ask them. If they say they will exchange the product with a new one God help you cause the next several months you are gonna spend lots of time calling them about the whereabouts. I was under an impression that when you pay spend so much money on a device you would at least get a decent service. Not only the products of Dyson unreliable but customer service is a nightmare. I would recommend people to at least research an alternative for this brand.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I should have known when it kept tipping over and the power head would stop spinning, I would have to stop and start again. I complained to the store I bought it at and they said it tips over sometimes and about the power head she could not answer that... Well that should have been my cue to return it... The only thing I like about it is it’s very light, it has NO SUCTION. I have to go over the item being picked a few times. It does not pick up anything bigger than a popcorn seed, I have to bend down to pick it up myself... I can’t wait to buy a new vacuum but NOT A DYSON for sure, will not waste my money, I work too hard for it.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

One month left of the 2 year warranty and the battery failed suddenly. Dyson said it is normal wear and tear so not covered by warranty. $95 for the replacement. Aftermarket replacement batteries on Amazon should be considered. I regret that I have purchased 2 Dyson cordless vacuums.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Purchased the Dyson Hairdryer (400.00 euros) and Hot/Cold Fan (450.00 euros) in 20th Sept, really wanted the hairdryer was unsure of the Hot/Cold Fan from the start, however I decided to order it the as Dyson sales advised of the 30 days trial service, if I didn't like any of their products they would collect for free and return your money 5 days after the goods have been collected (she was really good at her job). Received the goods the following day, I was loving the Dyson experience. Just as I had imagined the Dyson Fan wasn't worth the money, after about 14 days of trialing it I organised for it to be collected, I wanted my money back.

While I was waiting for the fan to be collected (it takes min 3 working days) a new hairdryer got launched, so I requested they collect that also and I'd order the new one instead. Long story short my goods (dryer and Fan) got goods finally got collect 17th Oct, it is now 6th Nov and I'm still waiting on my refund from Dyson. They aftercare service is nothing like their sales service! In my opinion people should think twice about ordering Dyson products especially the 30-day trial service, it is not a good service. I've been on contact with Dyson a number of times about getting my refund and they keep telling me I'll get it in 5 working days!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I bought the Dyson Ball because the precise British accent dude who advertises it, had me convinced this was some kind of highly developed piece of sucking technology. The truth is, I was totally dumbfounded at the awkward, inconsistent, and inconvenient design of this thing upon actually using it. Here is my list: No cord clip at the top of the handle, cord simply trails and pulls. Cord trailing will invariable get wound within that stupid rotating ball thing on the left side. No solid handle to actually transport the machine. If you have to lift it, you have to lift it by the flexible, handle at the top. If you lift it by the canister handle where the center of gravity is, it may well disconnect leaving you with a vacuum cleaner slamming onto your foot.

The hose detaches for the hand tools in the a very counter intuitive way- there is a flip-top screen and the hose slides up with the back part of the handle serving as the hose. The stem is long and the hose bends in a very crimpy tight way causing loss of suction when you are using the hand tools. The combination crevice tool with attached sliding brush is profoundly stupid. Why would you have a crevice tool meant to go into narrow places surrounded by an attached brush which prevents that from happening in the up position. Very inconvenient and poorly designed. The tilt mechanism which flips the wheels down is a nightmare. You invariable have to pull it back more than once for it to stand up. When you lock it to stand and then wheel it somewhere, invariably it will come unlocked and slam to the floor.

Do not waste your time with this expensive, poorly designed, frustrating-to-use vacuum. This company has made their money. I can see no hope for their lasting any time at all in the industry with the product they are hyper-marketing. I also see from some of the other posts, that their customer service is pretty much aligned with the quality of the product. Go figure.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I own 3 Dyson products, and have always been happy with the brand until my 9 month old Dyson V8 cordless started having issues. We began noticing the suction wasn't as powerful (well maintained) and the battery started a quick death. We can get approximately 45 seconds of Max power before it dies. This is where my faith in Dyson has been lost. Awful customer service. We have been a full 2 months without a usable $800, 9 month old vacuum. Contacted Dyson, went through the troubleshooting to no avail. Dyson determined it was a battery issue and agreed to replace the battery, shipping notice within 24 hours.

A week later, no shipping notification. Contacted Dyson 2nd time, the item was at the warehouse, would be shipped. Again, 5 days, no notice. Contacted 3rd time - item is out of stock, don't know when it'll be in stock. Dyson offered to replace the unit with a V10 model. Ok - great! Makes this lengthy process a bit better to hear. We will get an upgrade. Excellent customer service, I thought. I wait another week for a shipping box to arrive (1-2 business days) as we have to return our unit to them to inspect, in which they will send the new V10 offered within 5-10 business days once inspection is complete. We disassemble our V8 in preparation. The box never shows.

Contacted Dyson again 4th time to inquire on the box. No response. A week later I get a notice of shipping from Dyson. Contacted Dyson about this 5th time... no response. Inquired about the replacement unit we had kindly been offered and agreed upon. No response. 3 days later the package arrived at my home. I have a doorbell camera which I answered while working, and requested the driver leave the package in a secure spot. Can't. Has to be signed for. So now I have to wait 2 days to go to the depot 20 minutes away and pick up the package. The package is small. It's not the box for return for the offered V10. I suspect it's a battery. Dyson will not respond to my inquiries. I am really disappointed that after 2 months of no vacuum, an offer for a new model in place of ours, now I have to track down a battery with no indication or explanation.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My husband purchased me a new Dyson Animal cordless for Christmas 2017. I have had 1 canister, 1 upright and 1 handvac all made by Dyson over the years. Always been more than happy with performance. OOOH NOOO! Not this one! LOST POWER. LOST SUCTION. ROLLERS DON'T ROLL. I am so crushed! I always maintain my vacuums, but you can't maintain poor quality and materials??? Dyson said to send it in because we do not have an "AUTHORIZED" repair within 225 miles. Really? We don't live in the boonies. They said that they were not sure of the problem and not sure whether or not it would be covered. Pass. Problem is... They USED TO BE a good product.

Dyson Vacuums expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.

• Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.

• Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.

• Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.

• Best for: Dyson's powerful vacuums are good options for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs