1.86/5

Dyson Vacuums Reviews

691 Dyson Vacuums Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

I purchased the Absolute V8 Stick. After about 16 months I had a problem with machine, I contacted Dyson support and I couldn’t be happier, they had me try a few things to make sure it wasn’t my error and I did have to return (they paid) but they are sending me a complete new one. Yes I have to wait a week or so but they stand behind product and by no means was it hard... few emails and done. Love the product as I have hardwood and carpet... Would buy another one and am very pleased with my whole support from them!

Original review: April 17, 2019

These vacuums are not worth the large price tag. After about a year mine basically fell apart. It was still under warranty but I had to go without a vacuum for 2 weeks! Then the hose split up the middle and Dyson said it was normal wear and tear. I'll never buy another one.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I will preface this by saying I love Dyson products and own 5 of them. HOWEVER trying to purchase replacement filters 6+ contacts: Failed order, shipping issue, cancelled order, replacement order, refund and free product replacement - 3 weeks and still no filters. Their customer service is not like their products, James Dyson would be horrified. I now have two very expensive filter fans that I can't use because they won't supply the filters. I was going to purchase a new vacuum - now I'm seriously reconsidering.

Original review: March 31, 2019

They stand by their products. Anything on my vacuum that has broken is quickly replaced. No charge. Worth the cost on customer service alone. Vacuum works great, and no cord is so easy! I will always buy Dyson.

Original review: March 27, 2019

It is especially easy to maneuver. It can also be turned on and used for as long as the button is held down, without turning power on and off. That way, you can vacuum a tight area without snagging anything, avoiding a shoelace or the end of an area rug from getting sucked up. Easy to carry as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dyson Vacuums?

Original review: March 26, 2019

I purchased a $400 air purifier three months ago directly from Dyson. It is supposed to have a two year warranty. I called Dyson yesterday because my unit started sounding like a helicopter. They said they would set up and exchange. Then they said that they did not have any of the color/model that was the same as mine. What they offered was a air purifier/heater (which I don’t need or want the heat) that is HALF the size and power of my unit. I find this to be totally unacceptable. If they cannot replace the unit with the same model, and if they don’t have that model then replace it with the newer generation of the model I purchased, otherwise I feel I am entitled to a complete refund. They would not agree to that. This is a horrible company that makes beautiful products that just don’t last. Their customer service is terrible. You can never get through without having to wait at least 1/2 hr, and then they make these horrible bait and switch replacement offers.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Bought vacuum 5 months ago and have already had to call Dyson 3 times as it is not working. Initially told me it was an issue with the stick even when I queried if it was the battery as someone I know who bought the same vacuum at the same time had that issue. They assured me it wasn't and that Dyson has not had issues with this vacuum battery. Called second time with the same issue. Told it was because I needed to clean out the filter even though a second person I knew also needed a new battery. They once again assured me it was a clogged filter. Now it doesn't charge at all. Dyson told me I needed a new battery and the cost would be 80.00. After I fought that charge they said they would send me a new one but it would take 2 weeks to arrive. I am tremendously disappointed in this company and would never recommend buying one again.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I bought the vacuum about a year ago and it was fantastic at being cordless but for cleaning it's ok. As to pick up any kind of dirt properly you need to put it on max power which lasts a dismal 7 min and the high suction power mode is way too weak. It also takes a really long time to charge which is extremely inconvenient. But just last week it broke whereby it would continuously pulsate (turn on and off) and now it just doesn’t work altogether. Quite dissatisfied and I’ve called customer service and they said an engineer would call me and I still haven’t got anything back yet. Don’t buy this as it's quite unreliable and annoying after a year or two.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Avoid Dyson. I purchased a $400 vacuum December 2018. Used the vacuum 3 times for <10 minutes each time. 4th time I tried to use it would not turn on. Upon calling 'customer service' and 2 hours later, I was told I need to pay an additional $120 for a new battery. The agents were clearly fishing for any way to blame the malfunction on me (asked 4 times where I stored the vacuum - in my room that is always at 69 degrees F). Totally unacceptable to ask this amount of money for a product for it to break that easily and then claim the warranty doesn't cover it.

Original review: March 19, 2019

This has to be the most useless cleaner on the market. On full power that you need to pick up even to smallest crumb it only lasts 7 min. If you use it on normal power you will get 40 min however it will not clean your floors. DO NOT BUY THIS ONE.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Have a 300 sq meter house which I clean every day. Battery technology is inadequate. High suction is strong but lasts less than 30 minutes - needs 3 hours to recharge. Medium suction lasts 10 minutes longer but is inadequate - about the same power as a dustbuster so useless for any real cleaning. Low capacity canister does not seal in dust so dust gets into the motor area requiring a cleaning after 1 or 2 uses. Air intake filter needs dust cleaning after every vacuum & washing (requiring a day of drying) after 3-4 vacuums. Beater bars pick up is very poor - leaves anything larger than dust. Also need to keep changing powerhead for carpet or hard surface. Crevice tool rendered useless for getting in narrow/tight spaces because of oversized connector on tool extension tube i.e. under fridge/low furniture. Light duty, fussy high maintenance machine for the price. Not meeting expectations for vacuum over $700 CND.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I bought this vacuum in early November. I used it about once a week, and it stopped working in early March. I called Dyson and explained to them that the vacuum wouldn't charge, and when I press the trigger on the motorhead, I get a flashing red light. They said it was likely a problem with the charger, so they sent me new a charger. One and a half weeks later, the charger arrived, but the problem was not solved. I called them again, and explained to them what was happening.

The customer service rep suggests that I purchase a new battery because it is likely a problem with the battery, even though the vacuum is under warranty. I will be sending the vacuum to be fixed by UPS, meanwhile my apartment is collecting dust. I am very disappointed with Dyson's product and customer service. The vacuum stopped working after being used around 15 times, once a week. The problem was misdiagnosed and I was asked to spend more money on an already expensive vacuum. Beware.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Expect to wait an hour to even reach someone. These agents are too quick to end the call and not willing to work through the issue. The rep I spoke to was very unprofessional and at one point began to be disrespectful to me. Never have I have witnessed such bad customer service. After 2 hrs, the replacement battery is being ordered as I requested from the very beginning. Very disappointed in the service that was provided over the phone.

The vacuum itself I was very pleased in at the start. However over a few weeks the battery quickly deteriorated. Max speed lasts TWO minutes at most and normal speed 10 minutes which is unacceptable. I expected much more from a well known company. Expect to need to get the battery replaced if you purchase a cordless vacuum from Dyson. To even get the battery replaced, expect to battle with Customer Service. DON'T BUY!!! If you do, DON'T GO CORDLESS. Not worth your time and effort.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I loved my Dyson - while it worked. But it stopped after a year. The machine still runs, and still has suction, but the wand and rotor brush do not. I complained and Dyson sent me not one but three identical wands and the little rotor brush. The machine still does not work with any wand or rotor brush. Only when disconnected from the above. So it's useless to me.

Original review: March 10, 2019

The machine was amazing when we first got it and it stopped working in 5 months. My friend bought a Dyson and it would work sometimes and now it won't pick anything up. She spent more time trying to get it to work. We returned ours and she's just going to order another one. She thinks because Dyson ratings are so high it might just be a bad machine and is going to try it again. Not me!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I order motorized brush for my vacuum. Brush I receive was wrong. I call customer service and another wrong part was send. So I call again and return both parts. After 1 week my account was not credited. Very much disappointed for whole process. I will not recommend anyone to Dyson. Sorry.

Original review: March 6, 2019

My Dyson cylinder is now out of guarantee, but last weekend there was a loud banging noise, an acrid smell of plastic burning, and a shower of black dust belched out of the base. This machine is not used more than once a week, (and I find the suction is not great and it's unwieldy to use), in a small house, with no children and no pets. I've been sourcing a repair, but the cost is iniquitous, so I've just ordered a a new one…but NOT a Dyson. I'm not willing to fork out £££s every few years to replace a carpet cleaner with his latest invention.

Also, I was surprised to see on his website the long list of models they no longer supply parts for. Surely a company of this size could maintain a good stock of replacement parts? Perhaps this tells us a lot about the longevity of the products. The maintenance telephone number number is very hard to get through. I was trying all day, although when answered, the lady was very pleasant and helpful, but finding it would cost nearly £200 to repair!!!

Original review: March 5, 2019

Bought a Dyson canister last year (2018) with a FULL 2-YEAR WARRANTY. OVERHEATS AND SHUTS OFF AND ON BY ITSELF. GETS SO HOT THAT IT’S A FIRE HAZARD. Shipped for repair and was never touched yet told me it was. Within minutes same old crap. Now they won’t call or respond to my emails! I’m hiring an attorney for breach and misrepresentation. Spent way too much on this piece of crap!!! The government needs to come down on this company!!!

Original review: March 4, 2019

I ordered a Dyson upright vacuum around Thanksgiving and didn't like the way the ball operated, so sent it back. The company sends you a packing slip and tells you to go to the UPS store nearest you for them to pack it up. Don't do this. The male customer service rep sent me the wrong packing slip with a code that didn't match my vacuum, apparently, so the vacuum was sent to the wrong center. Two months later I still hadn't gotten the $350 refund for the vacuum, so I called - it took that rep, a very competent female, several hours to find the vacuum. Now four months after I sent the vacuum back I still have not gotten my refund. I've called twice more and the line of callers to the company today is 48 people long - the last time it was 25, so I clicked on the option for them to call me back. They never called me back. If I don't hear from them this week I am going to file a complaint. DON'T GET A DYSON.

Original review: March 3, 2019

My Dyson was bought because I own a dog. This vacuum was cleaned after every use, all the way to taking the ball apart to make sure there was no hair build up. After a 1 year started having trouble with the machine. Called Dyson. I was told it was under warranty and where to take it. Then I got a bill to receive my vacuum back. Called Dyson, what a joke of people. Dyson customer service will tell you anything to get you off the phone but never call you back. I am still waiting for someone from Dyson to call me and it's been 3 weeks. People, please don't buy a Dyson. everything about them sucks, even their customer service.

Original review: March 1, 2019

My first one was under one year old when this horrible chemical burning smell stank up the entire house. Fearing it had an electrical short, I exchanged for a new one. The new one was purchased in Jan 2019 and has only been used 5 times as it is only used when house cleaner comes to vacuum twice per month. I have back issue so cannot vacuum myself. This one doing exactly the same thing. In addition the ball gets way too hot and twice now it turns on immediately when plugged into the outlet. Scared me to death as sparks flying like I have never seen which is par for the course. Off means off so why does it turn on the vacuum when it is plugged into the outlet? This vacuum is an electrical hazard. The odor is a burning smell so these are dangerous. I tried to call Dyson several times but who has time to wait for the 7 callers ahead of me? Terrible customer service. I needed to post this for the safety of others.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I ordered parts for my Dyson on dyson.com on Jan 28, 2019. I received an initial confirmation that my payment would be processing (I used the Amazon payment method on their website). Two weeks went by and nothing else was heard. I emailed Dyson support on Feb 10, 2019. They found my order and on Feb 11, 2019 stated the order was still processing.

On Feb 20, 2019 I still heard nothing so emailed back and requested to cancel my order and I would go through Amazon, or a different third party to get the parts I needed. They they said they pushed my order to the fulfillment center and they COULD NOT cancel my order. They said it would be shipped shortly and once fully processed would take 8-14 (MORE) days until I received my shipment. It is now Feb 28, 2019 and I still do not have my parts or an email stating my order has fully processed. Still no tracking or shipping information. I am beyond pissed at this company. I love my Dyson, but once this one dies I WILL NOT get another one. They need to reevaluate their orders and shipping process as this is the poorest customer service I have ever experienced with a big name brand company.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

The call wasn't helpful. Can I speak to someone senior? I got Dyson V10 for dust mites and their faeces. They're also called as allergens but honestly it is not that convenient. It only works for 7-10mins in max. I don't need an engineer to visit etc. I've already met engineer in VR mall, Whitefield and in Dubai Mall. I got Dyson V10 in the month of November 2018 from Amazon. I went to Dubai for 3 months. Now I'm back and got time to use it. I tried it twice but I really don't feel convenient for me and my purpose. I would like to return or exchange with other Dyson product or Dyson hair curler set or Dyson Air Purifier. I would really appreciate if you help me. A brand like Dyson should really help. My registration mobile number is **. Name: Harish **. But please give me call in **. Hoping for the best solution.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Purchased the Dyson big ball canister vacuum in May of 2017 for $500. Worse vacuum we have ever owned. Numerous issues since receiving. Recently the vacuum was emitting a horrendous odor. In a desperate attempt I ran water thru the filter area of the unit. Out poured black mold for over 15 minutes. This hazardous mold has been sent airborne thru the vacuum into my home.

I explained fully the issue and steps I took to Dyson who instructed me to send the unit to their service "professionals". This vacuum was sent with a full explanation of the situation. Received a call from a local service facility telling me it would cost over $150 to thoroughly clean the vacuum because there was water. I tried telling him to read the note which clearly explained why water was used. He would not listen that the smell existed prior to an attempted cleaning and continues telling me the smell was due to the water. Avoid Dyson products. Inferior product with poor, rude customer service.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Don’t waste your money. This version’s battery is useless. I have a 900 sq ft main level and I can’t even get through it on low setting. Originally I could use the high setting for 30 seconds, now the battery dies immediately when I try using the high. First time it died after short use on high I called support & they just suggested use only low setting... Thanks for nothing.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I purchased the Dyson V8 Stick in November of 2018. It would not work the first time I tried to use it. I returned it to the store and received a replacement. Within a month it started to pulse and then would shut down. I contacted Customer Service and was told to check their website for helpful videos. It worked for a few weeks. I had cleaned it twice already. Contacted them again today. I was told that the sticks don't get serviced by their authorized dealer!!! I have to try and fix it myself and/or go and buy replacement parts. They kept telling me to try the same fixes over and over and WON'T give me any new parts!! What is the warranty for??? I have used their products for many years but NOT anymore. Going to try a different company from now on.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Had reason to (try) contact customer service recently... After trying twice by phone... and having give up after waiting between 5/10 mins we tried email. After various emails we got a call!!! From customer service (UK!!) during which it became clear that a 5/10 wait shouldn't be considered excessive/unusual... Either way we have never thought the Hoover itself to be very satisfactory anyway. It seems to clog/block constantly with just normal household use... Will not be buying another Dyson.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Noisy and constant cleaning of machine: It was good for a few months then constantly had to clean parts of machine before each use. I moved back to bags with a Miele machine with a powered head and it is very much better quality. Who wants to see their dirty old skin and dog hair through a transparent tube anyways?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

The cleaner worked really well for the first couple of weeks but now I seem to spend more time taking it apart, unblocking it and cleaning it. It is driving me crazy and I long for the good old days with my reliable Henry! The Dyson upright, I would say it sucks but a lot of the time it doesn’t!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I don't like Dyson vacuums at all. For one thing, they are incredibly bulky and complicated to clean out. I think they are also ugly too. I really wish I had not wasted all my money on this stupid vacuum. Every time I used it, it hits and smacks into corners because it is so bulky. My furniture is all dented up. This thing is so hard to figure out. I can even find the on/off switch most of the time then to try getting the canister apart is a complete struggle. Maybe I should have been a rocket scientist to be able to use this vacuum?!

Dyson Vacuums expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dyson is a British company with more than 5,000 employees around the world. It was founded by engineer James Dyson in 1993.

• Diverse designs: Buyers can choose between upright, canister, cordless and handheld Dyson models.

• Extra tools: Dyson has several tools that owners can add to their vacuums for everything from cleaning upholstery to grooming dogs.

• Attractive aesthetics: These vacuums have innovative designs that make them more attractive than models from most other companies.

• Strong suction: Dyson vacuums are designed so that they do not lose suction as they age.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Owners can use their Dyson vacuums on practically any flooring surfaces.

• Best for: Dyson's powerful vacuums are good options for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs