1.73/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: March 29, 2018

75 Dirt Devil Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: March 29, 2018

I do not like the retractable cord. It is too short and I have to attach an extension cord. Also it is getting harder to wind. I do not recommend it!!!

Original review: March 25, 2018

Absolutely useless. Makes noise like a vacuum cleaner, but that's it. Doesn't clean carpet or solid flooring. Just redistributes the dirt. Only asset is its appearance - nice bright red. Can't imagine it was ever tested and then released for sale. Total waste of energy and money. Yuck.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 22, 2018

Not lightweight and the suction starts to give out after only a few uses. It clogs quickly which causes me to take it apart to clean the clog. But the brush works great with getting deep down in the carpet.

Original review: March 21, 2018

This vacuum doesn't have the best suction on thick carpets but does well on floors and low carpets. I like to change the bag often as well which seems to help.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have a lot of kitty hair to pick up. I love my 2 little furry children, but at certain times of the year I definitely need something that will suck up their winter extra coats even if they never go outside. My Dirt Devil does a pretty good job.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dirt Devil?

Original review: March 18, 2018

This vacuum is small and easy for an older person to use, no bags, container easy to dump. It is not the best when it comes to suction but I have 2 bedrooms, living room, and dining room and it does ok on that area.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I have had my Dirt Devil for several years! I bought it on sale for $59.99, it still works as good as did when I bought it! It also very light to carry!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I use a Dirt Devil SimpliStik, as I am physically challenged. I live with service dogs and a very sandy yard, so daily vacuuming is a necessity and not an option. This handles both issues decently for about a year and at $20, I can afford the yearly replacement.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Dirt Devil Bagless Stick - Does not have high power sucking power, clogs at brush neck with just 1 2 foot push on wood floor! Simple dust clogs and flies right through flimsy filter system. BAD BUY. RUN.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

It has a nice description. Looks good on Box but it's kinda loud. Returned 1st one. The replacement little quieter. Easy to empty canister. Also it don't adjust to floor/rug Heights as Vacumning Over. I like it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I feel that using the vacuum is great. It has given me great experience in my household. I recommended this product to anyone looking for a high quality vacuum cleaner.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I don't care much for the Dirt Devil. It is a loud machine, that is compact but does little to get deep down suction going. While the cost is great and usually well within the average person's budget. There is much left to be desired with its cleaning ability.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

When we first started shopping around for a new vacuum cleaner, we did a bit of research. We thought the Dirt Devil model we snagged was just what we were looking for. The design is well thought out, and works quite well with the functioning of this product. It turns on the dime, and the suction does quite well, which is, I'm sure this company intended. I do believe if I had the choice all over again, I would still choose this brand. I would recommend this brand to any of my friends, and even might say stuff to people in a store looking at vacuum cleaners.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have always used Dirt Devil but the vacuum I now have totally sucks, does not pick up dirt, spreads it around, and is the worse thing I have ever owned. I tried to get a replacement but no one would assist me in this procedure.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Dirt Devil Vacuum Cleaner was lightweight and easy to handle. It got the job done, then when I went behind it with a Kirby there was still a lot of dirt and I mean a lot.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I cleaned a house last summer. My co-worker had an expensive Dyson vacuum cleaner that didn't suck worth crap. I brought my Dirt Devil in and boy did it suck everything up. So it's not the price you pay for quality. It's the product used rather it be 500 or 60 like I paid for my Dirt Devil and it showed them up. Lol.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I like Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner. It's always done a good job for me. However I find it hard to vacuum a car with them because of the size but for household use it's good.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Dirt Devil bagless vacuum - If I could give this vacuum a negative 5 stars I would. The belt won't stay on and it clogs easily. Having 3 kids and a dog this vacuum was a waste of money. Have had it less than 3 months. Tried to get my money back but no luck. I smashed it in the road. That I give 5 stars.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Had a Dirt Devil for 15 years; worked great, so I didn't hesitate to buy a new one. Bought this vacuum (Dirt Devil 360) last Feb. at Sears. The powerhead right away just was sluggish and did not pick up; got clogged at picking up even the tiniest bit of dog hair. I called customer service and they were surprisingly not very helpful. And the unit overheats at about 10 minutes of running. Useless for me. Don't waste your money on a Dirt Devil product. Go with a company who at least is willing to listen to your problems with their product.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I purchased a Dirt Devil Pet Max vacuum model number UD60167. I've had this taking less than a year. Maybe about 9 or 10 months. Since the day I bought the vacuum it constantly gets clogged up really easily and I'm having to take off the hose that goes to the handle and the lower hose underneath the vacuum and clean them out. Usually have to use a broom handle or a stick or something to loosen up the clog.

A few weeks ago the vacuum was packed solid inside the handle and both hoses. Managed to get it all cleaned out except for the lower hose that goes from underneath the vacuum behind the brush roller to the bottom of the canister. While trying to clean out that short clear flexible plastic hose I accidentally tore a hole in the hose with a coat hanger trying to loosen up the thermostat with stopped up inside.

I tried calling there several several times. Never could get through and just sat on hold. I was able to get through to customer service via email. Turns out that the lower hose is not available. I explained to them I thought their vacuum was a piece of crap. It did not do the job. Constantly had trouble since day one that's inside. Tore a hole in the hose trying to clean up what was clogged up inside. I'm willing to pay whatever the hose would be which I wouldn't think would be that much since the hose for the handles only around $15. I was informed that they make a replacement hose for the handle but the lower hose there is no replacement hose. The lower hose that is put on there when it is manufactured is the only time that hose is used at the manufacturer. Not for sale to the public and no Replacements available.

Dirt Devil sent me an email back stating that the lower hose is not available and they do not manufacture it so how do they make a new vacuum if they don't manufacture the lower hose. Told me if I was to call the customer service number and give him the reference number. They emailed me back. They would discount me 30% on the purchase of a new vacuum. Basically telling me just go buy a new vacuum whether you can afford to or not. Very unprofessional and very unsatisfied.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I bought the Dirt Devil Pro Express at Target on the 20th of October. Tried it the next day and it just spit out the dirt. Only had it on for a very short time. Called customer service. Agent got the model # I gave her. ON my vacuum, there was a plastic key like gadget to lock in the handle to the base. Agent said, "there is no key". I told her I was holding it and it was in the manual. I asked for a supervisor who said they would give me a new one. Come to find out, Dirt Devil wanted me to pay to send my unit back before they would do anything. This was totally unacceptable. I have never ever heard of having to PAY to send a defective product back. This was AFTER I had gone to some effort to copy and email the receipt to the agent.

I returned it to Target no problem. And wondered if this company was even a legitimate company. Googled reviews and there were 51 out of 54 reviews with a 1 rating. Mostly terrible things about the product being totally useless. Two cases of the cord catching on fire. In one case a child sustained a burn and a lawsuit is in progress. I will certainly share my experience with everyone I talk to, in the hopes of dissuading any one from buying a dirt devil product. This is the worst product complaint situation I have ever seen. ConsumerAffairs is a very professional organized site. Dirt Devil is not even accredited on their site.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I've just about had it with Dirt Devil products. I'm not sure if it's a battery issue or what. I bought a Dirt Devil Hand Vac in 2015. Very shortly the unit would not hold its charge. It had a 3 year warranty. I called and was told to send in the model plate from the unit, they listened on the phone the way the unit lost its charge. I was sent a new model September 2016 and lo and behold the same situation happened, the replacement unit wouldn't hold the charge. This time however I was told I needed my original (from 2015) receipt in order to get a replacement. I didn't have that anymore. I just kept the receipt info from the replacement. Now I'm not hearing anything from them!!! Very annoying! I want my original money back and I'll go and buy something else!!! They have a problem with this unit.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I charge the vacuum regularly. Its stands on a re-chargeable base plate... When use the vacuum it only lasts less than 5 minutes then drains right down to DEAD. I can only get ONE room done at a time. When I purchased the I certainly expected a good 10 minutes of battery life before dying... I would NOT recommend this product at all.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I received a Dirt Devil on Feb 1 2016... On July 17 2017 the handle broke off. I called Dirt Devil and they told me to take it to Riverside Vacuum with receipt and it would be fixed for free. Three weeks later still no part. I was told by Dirt Devil I would receive a new vacuum if Unfixable. Today I called Dirt Devil and was told... "YOUR WARRANTY DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING! JUST WAIT YOUR TIME." I will never buy Dirt Devil Chinese made crap again.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I bought a Dirt Devil Vacuum for $49 July 11th and on July 15th. The third time using it the cord caught on fire, burned my son and had to use the fire extinguisher to put out the fire on my carpet. I bought it at Target. I called Target corporate, filed a case, and also calling Dirt Devil to complain. I have a case in pursuit with my lawyer for my son's burn, my cost of vacuum and my repairs for my carpet.

Original review: June 1, 2017

If you are looking for a plastic vacuum shaped object that takes up space in your closet THIS IS THE ITEM FOR YOU! I grew up with Dirt Devil & they used to work amazingly. I recently had a Kirby for 12 years. That was the love of my life til she broked. I purchased one of the basic Dirt Devil cleaners and it legitimately spit all the dirt and cat litter (I have cats) back out at me. It didn't vacuum anything! Made more of a mess than actually cleaned. So, I spent a few more bucks and went bought one of those fancy pet hair removal Dirt Devil. I've had it for about a week, and all it does is move the dirt around. It is absolutely USELESS! I will definitely fork out the money to buy another Kirby. Well worth it. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A PIECE OF CRAP DIRT DEVIL! YOU WILL NOT BE SATISFIED!

Original review: May 24, 2017

On 2/22/2017 I bought a Dirt Devil "Breeze Cyclonic" vacuum cleaner for $49.26. I took it home and turn it on to use it. I turned on then turned it off and it would not turn on again. So I did as the label suggested and called Warranty Center. They recommended that I take it to their repair center in Federal Way, Quality Sewing & Vacuum. So I did. And then after a week and a half they had found the on/off switch was loose. And they had tightened it. So a week later I tried it again and it did the same thing again. So I took it back again and this time they replaced the switch. And when I got the vacuum back I could not shut the vacuum off this time. Again they replaced the switch. And again I turned it on and again it would turn off. So I called both emailed and called Dirt Devil and they agreed that what you a "lemon" and they would replace it.

That was March 11, 2017. On March 12 I did what I was told to take it to Quality Sewing & Vacuum so they could pick it up and deliver my replacement there since I live in a apartment complex. So I got there and found out they were told that it supposed be shipped to my apartment. And the Manager and I was playing phone tag for two hours when they said they would call back to confirm. So I was very busy for two week and checked back with Quality Sewing & Vacuum. And they never called or emailed them or me. So I emailed since it's about impossible to get through. And have done so 18 times. Have called the 20 plus times and when they told me they call me back they never did. I have told that the agreement never happened. I have also contacted Fred Meyer so they are aware of it. I again emailed Dirt Devil for one last time telling them to email the reason why.

They are playing games. Not just pass me off to their phone bank. I will also talk to the Fred Meyer Store manager to see if he can help me. I do not have much a problem with Fred Meyer. I have shopping there for 37 plus year, bought TV and other electronic products with no issues, and if that doesn`t work I will take them to small claims court. After all of this I will never buy another Dirt Devil product again even though the one I bought before lasted 15 years.

Original review: April 3, 2017

My vacuum cleaner cord caught fire within a year of purchase. A representative at Dirt Devil said I was covered under warranty and instructed me take my machine to their choice of repair shops. AFTER the repair was made I was told I would have to pay for the repair. I contacted Dirt Devil. They would not honor their warranty or their word. These are not the actions of a reputable company, and I will no longer purchase from a company with such poor practices and customer service.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

Trying to reach Hoover/Dirt Devil/ Royal, all seem to be the same company, it is actually impossible!! I've been on hold for over an hour this time. The every 15 sec repeat of the suggestion to go to Hoover.com to "Chat with a Live Agent," is horrible. I have not found any "Live Chat," tab on the Hoover site. You can try the phone number from the Hoover site, which is different then the Dirt Devil/ Royal sticker on my vacuum, but it is the same, "all agents are assisting other customers, please hold, or go to Hoover.com to Chat with a live agent or to send us an email", message! I don't believe they employ ANY Customer Service Agents. I did send 2 emails. I had time while on hold. We'll see if there is anyone to answer those.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I purchased this Dirt Devil Dash via Figi's Gallery. The vacuum was operating ok (but didn't clean as well as my Bissell which I was replacing). It has now stopping suctioning at all. Nothing goes into the canister from the vacuum and it is leaving dark marks on my carpet. I can't describe my disappointment. I have begun using my old and simpler Bissell and although it must be replaced it is at least picking up what the Dirt Devil left on my carpet. I will never buy a Dirt Devil product again. I have contacted Figi's to see if I can get a refund but am not holding my breath.

Dirt Devil expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dirt Devil is an American company that makes floor care products. It specializes in vacuum cleaners for small apartments and large houses.

• Diverse designs: Dirt Devil makes several types of vacuum cleaners, including upright, canister, handheld and stick models.

• Online videos: The company's website offers videos so potential buyers can watch the vacuums they are considering in action.

• Affordable prices: Many Dirt Devil vacuums cost less than 100 dollars.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Dirt Devil makes many models that owners can use on a variety of flooring surfaces.

• Compact designs: Even upright vacuums have compact designs that make them easy to store and use.

• Best for: Homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers can appreciate the convenience of Dirt Devil vacuum cleaners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs