2.37/5
Based on 30 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

80 Dirt Devil Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 11, 2018

I purchased the handheld unit (Dirt Devil SD12000) 4 months ago from Home Depot. This last time I used it for a lite pick up. The vacuum got so hot the belt thinned and wrapped around the brush. I tried replacing belt with supplied tool. It was impossible to use. The tool snapped in half and struck me in the chin. I dropped the vacuum from table height and it literally broke in half. I called Dirt Devil. Their reply was they couldn't imagine that happening, wouldn't replace machine and actually disconnected from my call. I should be suing them. I will boycott Dirt Devil forever. Baaaddd product and customer care.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I purchased this item and it was 99 bucks. It clogs up continuously either in the bagless filter area and/or the hose where the brush is. Also it is hard to get the buttons to open filter area, etc to work the 1st time. Total rip off! I would never purchase Dirt Devil or cordless vacuum again!

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I bought the Dirt Devil Vacuum Cleaner. Has brush roll on the bottom and motor at top on a long stick. Gets clogged easily and heats up my hand so much I actually dropped it. Then a piece broke off. Called customer service but without my receipt I cannot get help fixing or replacing or even taking it back. So it is now unused in a corner of my kitchen while I hope to think of a way out of this mess.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I purchased a Dirt Devil electric stick vac which I was satisfied with until I attempted to purchase a replacement filter only to discover there was none available. Contacted customer service, provided proof of purchase info, was given return authorization and told they would replace my vac. That was the last I heard from them. I made several attempts to get an explanation, to no avail. I have since replaced my vac with another brand. I will NEVER buy another product from the Dirty Devils again.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Dirt Devil Accucharge Stick Vacuum - From new, never worked worth a darn. No runtime. Maybe 2 minutes. Now it's 15 seconds. Tried the company's suggestions to a T. Nada. Company said to return it for replacement. Costs over $30.00 to mail it back. More money after bad so chucked it out in the garbage. They should never market such an inferior product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dirt Devil?

Original review: March 29, 2018

I do not like the retractable cord. It is too short and I have to attach an extension cord. Also it is getting harder to wind. I do not recommend it!!!

Original review: March 25, 2018

Absolutely useless. Makes noise like a vacuum cleaner, but that's it. Doesn't clean carpet or solid flooring. Just redistributes the dirt. Only asset is its appearance - nice bright red. Can't imagine it was ever tested and then released for sale. Total waste of energy and money. Yuck.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Not lightweight and the suction starts to give out after only a few uses. It clogs quickly which causes me to take it apart to clean the clog. But the brush works great with getting deep down in the carpet.

Original review: March 21, 2018

This vacuum doesn't have the best suction on thick carpets but does well on floors and low carpets. I like to change the bag often as well which seems to help.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have a lot of kitty hair to pick up. I love my 2 little furry children, but at certain times of the year I definitely need something that will suck up their winter extra coats even if they never go outside. My Dirt Devil does a pretty good job.

Original review: March 18, 2018

This vacuum is small and easy for an older person to use, no bags, container easy to dump. It is not the best when it comes to suction but I have 2 bedrooms, living room, and dining room and it does ok on that area.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I have had my Dirt Devil for several years! I bought it on sale for $59.99, it still works as good as did when I bought it! It also very light to carry!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I use a Dirt Devil SimpliStik, as I am physically challenged. I live with service dogs and a very sandy yard, so daily vacuuming is a necessity and not an option. This handles both issues decently for about a year and at $20, I can afford the yearly replacement.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Dirt Devil Bagless Stick - Does not have high power sucking power, clogs at brush neck with just 1 2 foot push on wood floor! Simple dust clogs and flies right through flimsy filter system. BAD BUY. RUN.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

It has a nice description. Looks good on Box but it's kinda loud. Returned 1st one. The replacement little quieter. Easy to empty canister. Also it don't adjust to floor/rug Heights as Vacumning Over. I like it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I feel that using the vacuum is great. It has given me great experience in my household. I recommended this product to anyone looking for a high quality vacuum cleaner.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I don't care much for the Dirt Devil. It is a loud machine, that is compact but does little to get deep down suction going. While the cost is great and usually well within the average person's budget. There is much left to be desired with its cleaning ability.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

When we first started shopping around for a new vacuum cleaner, we did a bit of research. We thought the Dirt Devil model we snagged was just what we were looking for. The design is well thought out, and works quite well with the functioning of this product. It turns on the dime, and the suction does quite well, which is, I'm sure this company intended. I do believe if I had the choice all over again, I would still choose this brand. I would recommend this brand to any of my friends, and even might say stuff to people in a store looking at vacuum cleaners.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have always used Dirt Devil but the vacuum I now have totally sucks, does not pick up dirt, spreads it around, and is the worse thing I have ever owned. I tried to get a replacement but no one would assist me in this procedure.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Dirt Devil Vacuum Cleaner was lightweight and easy to handle. It got the job done, then when I went behind it with a Kirby there was still a lot of dirt and I mean a lot.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I cleaned a house last summer. My co-worker had an expensive Dyson vacuum cleaner that didn't suck worth crap. I brought my Dirt Devil in and boy did it suck everything up. So it's not the price you pay for quality. It's the product used rather it be 500 or 60 like I paid for my Dirt Devil and it showed them up. Lol.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I like Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner. It's always done a good job for me. However I find it hard to vacuum a car with them because of the size but for household use it's good.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Dirt Devil bagless vacuum - If I could give this vacuum a negative 5 stars I would. The belt won't stay on and it clogs easily. Having 3 kids and a dog this vacuum was a waste of money. Have had it less than 3 months. Tried to get my money back but no luck. I smashed it in the road. That I give 5 stars.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Had a Dirt Devil for 15 years; worked great, so I didn't hesitate to buy a new one. Bought this vacuum (Dirt Devil 360) last Feb. at Sears. The powerhead right away just was sluggish and did not pick up; got clogged at picking up even the tiniest bit of dog hair. I called customer service and they were surprisingly not very helpful. And the unit overheats at about 10 minutes of running. Useless for me. Don't waste your money on a Dirt Devil product. Go with a company who at least is willing to listen to your problems with their product.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I purchased a Dirt Devil Pet Max vacuum model number UD60167. I've had this taking less than a year. Maybe about 9 or 10 months. Since the day I bought the vacuum it constantly gets clogged up really easily and I'm having to take off the hose that goes to the handle and the lower hose underneath the vacuum and clean them out. Usually have to use a broom handle or a stick or something to loosen up the clog.

A few weeks ago the vacuum was packed solid inside the handle and both hoses. Managed to get it all cleaned out except for the lower hose that goes from underneath the vacuum behind the brush roller to the bottom of the canister. While trying to clean out that short clear flexible plastic hose I accidentally tore a hole in the hose with a coat hanger trying to loosen up the thermostat with stopped up inside.

I tried calling there several several times. Never could get through and just sat on hold. I was able to get through to customer service via email. Turns out that the lower hose is not available. I explained to them I thought their vacuum was a piece of crap. It did not do the job. Constantly had trouble since day one that's inside. Tore a hole in the hose trying to clean up what was clogged up inside. I'm willing to pay whatever the hose would be which I wouldn't think would be that much since the hose for the handles only around $15. I was informed that they make a replacement hose for the handle but the lower hose there is no replacement hose. The lower hose that is put on there when it is manufactured is the only time that hose is used at the manufacturer. Not for sale to the public and no Replacements available.

Dirt Devil sent me an email back stating that the lower hose is not available and they do not manufacture it so how do they make a new vacuum if they don't manufacture the lower hose. Told me if I was to call the customer service number and give him the reference number. They emailed me back. They would discount me 30% on the purchase of a new vacuum. Basically telling me just go buy a new vacuum whether you can afford to or not. Very unprofessional and very unsatisfied.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I bought the Dirt Devil Pro Express at Target on the 20th of October. Tried it the next day and it just spit out the dirt. Only had it on for a very short time. Called customer service. Agent got the model # I gave her. ON my vacuum, there was a plastic key like gadget to lock in the handle to the base. Agent said, "there is no key". I told her I was holding it and it was in the manual. I asked for a supervisor who said they would give me a new one. Come to find out, Dirt Devil wanted me to pay to send my unit back before they would do anything. This was totally unacceptable. I have never ever heard of having to PAY to send a defective product back. This was AFTER I had gone to some effort to copy and email the receipt to the agent.

I returned it to Target no problem. And wondered if this company was even a legitimate company. Googled reviews and there were 51 out of 54 reviews with a 1 rating. Mostly terrible things about the product being totally useless. Two cases of the cord catching on fire. In one case a child sustained a burn and a lawsuit is in progress. I will certainly share my experience with everyone I talk to, in the hopes of dissuading any one from buying a dirt devil product. This is the worst product complaint situation I have ever seen. ConsumerAffairs is a very professional organized site. Dirt Devil is not even accredited on their site.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I've just about had it with Dirt Devil products. I'm not sure if it's a battery issue or what. I bought a Dirt Devil Hand Vac in 2015. Very shortly the unit would not hold its charge. It had a 3 year warranty. I called and was told to send in the model plate from the unit, they listened on the phone the way the unit lost its charge. I was sent a new model September 2016 and lo and behold the same situation happened, the replacement unit wouldn't hold the charge. This time however I was told I needed my original (from 2015) receipt in order to get a replacement. I didn't have that anymore. I just kept the receipt info from the replacement. Now I'm not hearing anything from them!!! Very annoying! I want my original money back and I'll go and buy something else!!! They have a problem with this unit.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I charge the vacuum regularly. Its stands on a re-chargeable base plate... When use the vacuum it only lasts less than 5 minutes then drains right down to DEAD. I can only get ONE room done at a time. When I purchased the I certainly expected a good 10 minutes of battery life before dying... I would NOT recommend this product at all.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I received a Dirt Devil on Feb 1 2016... On July 17 2017 the handle broke off. I called Dirt Devil and they told me to take it to Riverside Vacuum with receipt and it would be fixed for free. Three weeks later still no part. I was told by Dirt Devil I would receive a new vacuum if Unfixable. Today I called Dirt Devil and was told... "YOUR WARRANTY DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING! JUST WAIT YOUR TIME." I will never buy Dirt Devil Chinese made crap again.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I bought a Dirt Devil Vacuum for $49 July 11th and on July 15th. The third time using it the cord caught on fire, burned my son and had to use the fire extinguisher to put out the fire on my carpet. I bought it at Target. I called Target corporate, filed a case, and also calling Dirt Devil to complain. I have a case in pursuit with my lawyer for my son's burn, my cost of vacuum and my repairs for my carpet.

Dirt Devil expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dirt Devil is an American company that makes floor care products. It specializes in vacuum cleaners for small apartments and large houses.

• Diverse designs: Dirt Devil makes several types of vacuum cleaners, including upright, canister, handheld and stick models.

• Online videos: The company's website offers videos so potential buyers can watch the vacuums they are considering in action.

• Affordable prices: Many Dirt Devil vacuums cost less than 100 dollars.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Dirt Devil makes many models that owners can use on a variety of flooring surfaces.

• Compact designs: Even upright vacuums have compact designs that make them easy to store and use.

• Best for: Homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers can appreciate the convenience of Dirt Devil vacuum cleaners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs