1.54/5

101 Dirt Devil Vacuum Cleaners Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 2, 2019

I bought this for my car small Dirt Devil and after using couple of times it just shuts off in 3-4 of use in my car. Horrible vacuum and very very good expensive.

Complete waste of money. Won’t buy this company product in future.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Vacuum is actually too strong and hand vent does not prevent picking up area rugs, so strong pull required to free them. Cleaning is a horror show to take apart and clean filter. Dirt cup too small requiring clean out too often. Wheel cover on side with air exhaust keeps falling off. Unit falls over often so have to go back to put back on wheels. Emailed company but no response. Like others will not ever buy another Dirt Devil product.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Purchased the unit and within 2 months it would no longer hold a charge. Spent hours on the phone with customer service "troubleshooting" the problem. Finally agreed to let me return it but required me to drive 45 mins to their "authorized service center" to drop it off for inspection. Eventually replaced the unit. Drove another 45mins each way to pick it up. Unit failed again within a month. This time customer service was less helpful and required me to return it to the original seller (Amazon), which was way beyond the return window. Finally gave up, tossed it in the trash and bought a different unit from a different company. So far so good. Terrible product, terrible customer service.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Since the first use hot air with the fine dust was blowing directly from the junctions right into my face. Lil cheap plastic thing. I didn't even bother to complain. Tried to fix it, did a double check and reassembly. I can see very clearly (after washing my face)...zero quality control. May have bought the one defective unit in 20000. Fine. But won't buy from them EVER again. I never write bad reviews to anything or anybody, but this was pure dissatisfaction and frustration today. Get less richer, solve more problems, take care of your employees and you'll prosper like crazy. I saw Dirt Devil today face to face.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I bought this so called brand's vacuum few months back, it seemed like a good machine but after using it for a few months it just broke on me. Disappointed as I was, called customer care and after days of trying to prove my purchase that I made online from Walmart, they agreed to replace it. I had paid $170 to buy it, they sent an inferior model without same specs and just said that is what they have in hand. When I checked the value of the vacuum they sent me I found out it is going for $100 again on Walmart website. When I complained about this fact, their response was, "If you do not want it send it back, but you are not getting anything else". So I told them I am going to let people know about this, they could not care less. Bottom line is, if you want to buy this brand think thrice!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dirt Devil?

Original review: March 4, 2019

I purchased a Dirt Devil SD12522 handheld, at the first use I noticed the unit got really hot. Used it for just 10-15 mins. Next use the unit got extremely hot. I tried to use it one more time and monitor when the unit got hot.. I was 10 mins into using it in my 12' x 12' kitchen floor. I called customer service, it started out nice until the rep said, "Hold on let me get with my team." She came back and said, "If it gets too hot it will shut itself off, so since your didn't turn off, it's fine. No manufacture or warranty issues."

I explained that this is not safe and requested an exchange or something. She couldn't help me, so I asked for a supervisor, lady gets on the phone and says. "Well sounds like it is working fine." I asked if they were ok with a negligence lawsuit if I or my family members were to get burned... She then starts yelling in the phone, "we have a bad phone, can't hear you" and hung up on me!!! NEVER NEVER again will I purchase or use a Dirtbag Devil vacuum!! Be aware friends!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I just bought a Dirt Devil Power Max Carpet and Hard floor Pet vacuum last Thursday at Walmart for $70. I always thought Dirt Devil was a household name. Boy was I wrong. I am shocked at how cheap the plastic hose and attachment pieces are. They are so cheap they won't stay connected. I am so disappointed. I was so excited to come home and use the pet turbo claw. It's so loud I can't use it unless I use earplugs. Walmart I pray will give me a refund on this awful product. I know it's not their fault I bought a bad cheap made vacuum I can't use and wasted $70 of my hard earned family's money. $70 to us is hard earned money.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

After returning defective hand vac with crevice tool (at my cost) I received replacement without crevice tool which was biggest reason I bought the original. I emailed customer service when I received notice of intended replacement shipment to request comparable replacement but they never responded back to me. I called as well with no luck. Replacement unit is flimsy and I would never ever again purchase a Dirt Devil!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I've gotten two Dirt Devil vacuums for my office- the first one died after one month but I assumed it was my own error so I bought a new one (a fancy heavier-duty one just in case). Now I realize it died because these are the worst vacuums on the face of the planet. I'm thoroughly convinced that literally any other brand is better. Be smarter than I was and just spend a bit more money for the better, higher quality, NON-DIRT DEVIL vacuum cleaner. Unless you prefer spending even more money buying a new one every 3 weeks.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Once happy with Dirt Devil but they are not as advertised. Bought the Dirt Devil vacuum even after seeing bad reviews in reference to the abundance and cheapness of the plastic utilized that inundates their products. Within a short time the Plastic latch that holds the canister broke. You do not use plastic on a latch that should be metal or another hard substance. Do not buy their products since cost is more relevant than a quality product. I wrote them but have decided I do not even want to deal with them and their products anymore. By the way, their vacuums should be sold in with the plastic toy aisle. It would be more appropriate while telling the customer its junk and not built to last. Oh one more thing, I have never seen so many parts places on the web for Dirt Devil part sellers and that says it all.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

The beginning experience with this vacuum was great, no problems! Then about 2 months the clogging started. I have read all the fixes and just can't deal with the extra work of unclogging before every use. Sorry it's ending with Dirt Devil this way, but to the trash it goes!! Save your $$$.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I bought this in Feb of 18. It quit sucking with no clogs in the hoses. Call them, nothing. A week later I get a email that I need to send it back to them at my cost. So I call to talk to a person. A very rude lady told me it was the filter and sent me a new one. Got it! Didn't work. Called them back and was on hold for a hour before I hung up. Called them back and they again tell me to send it to them at my cost or take it to a service center that's over 50 miles from me. At my cost! I will never again buy this product. They are out for your money, that is very hard to come by these days! I work every day in customer service and they are by far the worst! I wouldn’t even give it a 1 but had to rate it.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Model number BD22520, mount bracket provided with this vacuum is useless. It does not support the weight of vacuum head. The plastic bracket has no means of securing the vacuum properly and safely. For wall mount applications, the screw holes are upside down and the adhesive strips are very useless. This product needs to be recalled for inadequate mounting bracket to prevent possible injury to small children, pets and floor damage. I have contacted Dirt Devil about this and they sent another bracket. NO IMPROVEMENT... A third attempt to reach them has been ignored.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I bought a Dirt Devil stick vacuum 6 months ago for quick dog hair clean up. Under normal use, the floor attachment broke. I bought the vacuum at Walmart and purchased a 2 year protection. Called Walmart to file a claim and was told that I had to call Dirt Devil since it was still under manufacturer's warranty. Called Dirt Devil and was told to email pictures of the receipt and the broken part. Did this and waited a week with no reply. Sent numerous follow-up emails — all ignored.

I finally called customer service again to express my discontent. She apologized and assured me that she would personally take care of it. I received a generic email stating that I had to ship the entire vacuum back to the company AT MY COST! I replied to the email stating that there’s nothing wrong with the vacuum. I just need a new floor attachment. That email was ignored as well. Called Walmart to file a claim and they told me that I can’t use the protection I purchased since it’s still under manufacturer's warranty. Long story short, I’m now stuck with an $89 vacuum with limited use. I will never purchase another Dirt Devil product.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I bought a vacuum cleaner about a month ago and after a couple of trials, a piece just randomly broke off! It was the piece that was connecting the filter and the body. So I called the customer service and she was not friendly at all, she rather suggested that it would be my fault that the piece fell off! And she told me to just twist it and it will get back together. The piece ‘broke’, not dislocated. Since I dont have the receipt with me she said she can’t help me with it. And then I did an online chat with another staff and she said the same thing and I’m guessing all employees are unfriendly to customers! So disappointed and such a bad experience. Never buy this product or any products from Dirt Devil! It’s a nightmare.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I bought a Dirt Devil Max Pat with the terrible call specifically because I have a lot of pets. I needed something that would work well with pet hair, but not break the bank! I should have known this vacuum was no good when it only cost me $50. The assembly was OK. Although I still have never figured out how to snap the attachments on. The first time I used it, it worked great. Then it never worked again! I read the manual thinking I must have put together wrong. I accidentally dumped the dirt and hair out of the top instead of the bottom and thought maybe I had done something to the filter, or put it back together wrong. Only to find out later that the hose was completely packed full of hair!

That was the reason I bought a vacuum supposedly made for pets, so that I could get all the pet hair up no problem. And it clogs after the first use? It can’t be too good on pet hair At all! I tried pulling out the clogged hair but because of the bristles, I can’t reach farther than an inch, maybe 2, up the hose nor fit anything up there to pull it out for me. If the hose comes off somehow, I can’t figure out how! Waste of money!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

The battery only holds a charge for about 30 seconds. It has only be used about 6 times. The unit is only a few months old, and was a warranty replacement for another Dirt Devil handheld (Dust Buster style) vacuum that had failed. Dirt Devil obviously has faulty batteries. I would never buy one again.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I bought a Dirt Devil rechargeable vacuum cleaner, but I don't remember where. The battery holds a usable charge for only 2-3 minutes. Their customer support agrees that it is defective and that it is under warranty, but they refuse to honor the warranty without the original receipt. They know that most of us don't hang on to receipts for the duration of the warranty period, so this is their out to not honoring their warranties.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I had this vacuum for 3 months then the power head broke off! It was made of plastic. I had a warranty for it but no receipt. After saving it for a while it was thrown out not being told to save it. The company said would only replace the part if the store where I bought it would try to retrieve the receipt. Can't imagine this part would be able to fit again anyway! The other solution was to give us a discount on a new vacuum ordering it online. Why would I trust another Dirt Devil also! What good is having a warranty! This vacuum is a piece of junk!! Should not have broken off like that!! Telling everyone not to buy this product!!!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I can highly recommend that you do not purchase one of these units. I purchased one. Had two replacements for it. The vacuum works for a very short period of time and then will not recharge. On my third complaint I was told I would have to purchase another vacuum. This one has also gone out and the service department told me that they would give me a discount on purchasing another vacuum. No matter what discount Dirt Devil would offer the vacuum is not worth anything. If you purchase this unit you're throwing your money away. My last phone call was recorded as **. If you would like to confirm my problems.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I purchased the Dirt Devil Upright to vacuum area rugs as we had replaced all carpet with Laminate Flooring. Bought it around the 1st week of December but didn't use it until around Christmas. Immediately had trouble getting the on/off switch to stay on. To start with my Husband stated that he didn't think I was mashing it hard enough. He tried it & it stayed on so I vacuumed den rug & runners. Used it again in January, maybe 2 times in February & March--still having trouble with the on/off button.

Finally in April it would not stay on at all. I had purchased the extended warranty at Walmart & contacted them to be told that it was still under manufacturer's warranty & I would have to go thru them. I sent Dirt Devil a email as I have a hearing problem on phone. To start with Angela in Customer Service was telling me I needed to check for clogging in various places--that wasn't the problem - the vacuum would not stay on. I corresponded back & forth several times & was told I would have to take it to a Dirt Devil Authorized Repair Dealer & if it wasn't my fault it would be fixed. There were 2 within 35 miles of my town. My husband had to have an emergency heart cath in May, I sprained my ankle really bad in April & was in a cast for 30 days so I couldn't drive to take the vacuum in.

During this time I also contacted Walmart Corporate Office hoping they would simply tell me to bring it back & replace it but they refused to help me---I had to go thru Dirt Devil. Today I was finally able to drive well enough that I took it to High Point, N. C. House of Vacuums for repair. [30 miles one way from my house]. When we were through discussing it I ask if it would be ready to pick up next week when we go to the doctor in Winston-Salem--High Point is half-way. I was told that she had no clue when it would be ready for pickup. They would have to contact the company first & get the repair authorized & they would have to send them the needed repair parts. No idea at all. So I am at the mercy of Dirt Devil it appears. I am very upset--I need a vacuum cleaner. Then she started trying to sell me a used vacuum.

I will never ever buy another Dirt Devil product--I bought it because I thought they were reputable. By the time I make at least 1 more trip to the repair shop I will have almost as much in gas as the vacuum cost. Very disappointed in Walmart as well. They are the only store in my town other than Lowe's Home Improvement that sells vacuum cleaners.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I purchased the handheld unit (Dirt Devil SD12000) 4 months ago from Home Depot. This last time I used it for a lite pick up. The vacuum got so hot the belt thinned and wrapped around the brush. I tried replacing belt with supplied tool. It was impossible to use. The tool snapped in half and struck me in the chin. I dropped the vacuum from table height and it literally broke in half. I called Dirt Devil. Their reply was they couldn't imagine that happening, wouldn't replace machine and actually disconnected from my call. I should be suing them. I will boycott Dirt Devil forever. Baaaddd product and customer care.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I purchased this item and it was 99 bucks. It clogs up continuously either in the bagless filter area and/or the hose where the brush is. Also it is hard to get the buttons to open filter area, etc to work the 1st time. Total rip off! I would never purchase Dirt Devil or cordless vacuum again!

Original review: May 21, 2018

I bought the Dirt Devil Vacuum Cleaner. Has brush roll on the bottom and motor at top on a long stick. Gets clogged easily and heats up my hand so much I actually dropped it. Then a piece broke off. Called customer service but without my receipt I cannot get help fixing or replacing or even taking it back. So it is now unused in a corner of my kitchen while I hope to think of a way out of this mess.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I purchased a Dirt Devil electric stick vac which I was satisfied with until I attempted to purchase a replacement filter only to discover there was none available. Contacted customer service, provided proof of purchase info, was given return authorization and told they would replace my vac. That was the last I heard from them. I made several attempts to get an explanation, to no avail. I have since replaced my vac with another brand. I will NEVER buy another product from the Dirty Devils again.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Dirt Devil Accucharge Stick Vacuum - From new, never worked worth a darn. No runtime. Maybe 2 minutes. Now it's 15 seconds. Tried the company's suggestions to a T. Nada. Company said to return it for replacement. Costs over $30.00 to mail it back. More money after bad so chucked it out in the garbage. They should never market such an inferior product.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I do not like the retractable cord. It is too short and I have to attach an extension cord. Also it is getting harder to wind. I do not recommend it!!!

Original review: March 25, 2018

Absolutely useless. Makes noise like a vacuum cleaner, but that's it. Doesn't clean carpet or solid flooring. Just redistributes the dirt. Only asset is its appearance - nice bright red. Can't imagine it was ever tested and then released for sale. Total waste of energy and money. Yuck.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Not lightweight and the suction starts to give out after only a few uses. It clogs quickly which causes me to take it apart to clean the clog. But the brush works great with getting deep down in the carpet.

Original review: March 21, 2018

This vacuum doesn't have the best suction on thick carpets but does well on floors and low carpets. I like to change the bag often as well which seems to help.

Dirt Devil expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dirt Devil is an American company that makes floor care products. It specializes in vacuum cleaners for small apartments and large houses.

• Diverse designs: Dirt Devil makes several types of vacuum cleaners, including upright, canister, handheld and stick models.

• Online videos: The company's website offers videos so potential buyers can watch the vacuums they are considering in action.

• Affordable prices: Many Dirt Devil vacuums cost less than 100 dollars.

• Multi-floor cleaning: Dirt Devil makes many models that owners can use on a variety of flooring surfaces.

• Compact designs: Even upright vacuums have compact designs that make them easy to store and use.

• Best for: Homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers can appreciate the convenience of Dirt Devil vacuum cleaners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs