Kenmore Vacuums

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

Compare Vacuums

Research top Vacuums recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am a long time Sears customer and have purchased Kenmore Canister Vacuums there for as long as I can remember. In May of this year I bought a Kenmore Elite Canister because it had some features that appealed to me. The first thing I noticed was that pushing the Power Mate Head was extremely hard. I am a strong person but it took two hands and all of my strength to push it across my carpet (which is not thick). I've adjusted the brush height and the suction but that didn't help.

Also, as I pull the Power Mate back towards me, the head lifts so I'm only vacuuming in one direction instead of back & forth. The floor attachment has the suction in the center of the attachment vs. the front edge so I can't vacuum under cabinets or along baseboards unless I take that attachment off. I tried to exchange this model for another one but because it was past 30 days Sears wouldn't take it back. The store employees gave me a Nat'l Customer Relations number but they were totally worthless as they only deal with repairs and deliveries. This will be the last vacuum I purchase from Sears.

I purchased my vacuum about 10 years ago. And like some other reviewers on here, I researched vacuums with Consumer Reports to see what brands were highly rated. I decided on a Kenmore Progressive Upright as they were rated higher than a lot of others. So I went to Sears, went through a demonstration by a salesman, and purchased my Kenmore Progressive vacuum. Since then I have been pretty satisfied. I have had to replace the belt once, which isn't bad for 10 years use.

But I have had problems with the vacuum bags. Maybe it is because I bought generic, but the bags explode in the bag compartment! And most of the time they are barely half full. I continually have to clean all the dust, dog hair, etc. out of the compartment and the filters due to the bags having holes in them. I don't know if it is because the bags are cheaply made, or the vacuum has so much suction it explodes the bag. But it gets very irritating having to constantly change the bags only to have them explode. And the 'bag full' light comes on if the bag is barely used. I know this issue is Bag related, but other than that I am satisfied with this vacuum.

This thing is a beast! Absolutely worth it unless you have physical issues like you are weak, older or have a really bad back. It is hard to push but that's because it's sucking the floor SO hard! Gets deep down dirt. A little heavy and loud (aren't they all?) but it's really powerful so what do you want! I have to agree the hose is too short and stiff. The attachments click on solidly. Love the placement of the power button. It's the same button you use to switch from bare floors and carpet so no bending over. At first I couldn't use it on small area rugs because it sucked them right up but then I realized it's ok when you adjust the pile to "high". If the wheels leave black marks on bare floors you can rub them out. No big deal. It's a workout to use, but again - it's because it's sucking so hard!! Love it, worth every penny.

Kenmore Intuition canister vacuum Model 116.28015700. This unit starts and stops as soon as it is plugged in. When I turn it on at the handle switch it will run normally until I turn it off. Then it sits there and cycles on and off for as long as it is plugged in. Naturally this started AFTER the warranty had expired. I called Sears parts and the non-English speaking woman I spoke to insists that I bring it to a service center, or at least I think that's what she was saying. I called the service center and they are one hour away and will charge $120 just to look at it. Since I paid $520 for the thing I am not willing to pay another $120, plus parts, just to keep it. This will definitely be my LAST Sears vacuum cleaner.

I bought a Kenmore canister vacuum cleaner that is bagless. I needed to replace the filter and when I went online I could not find it so I called the 800 parts number and they said that, that model number did not exist. Funny how you can still buy the same vacuum cleaner online. Don't buy this product because if you want to buy any replacement parts for it, you will be wasting your money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

The last two vacuums we have purchased were very satisfactory. Top of the line models. My worry is that both when in use, the power cord gets very warm. I don't have another cord in the house except the Iron that gets that warm. Not in one spot but full length. Is it because of small gauge wire for the job? With a 30 ft cord stuff can happen.

Bought this upright vacuum cleaner at Kmart back in April 2015. After about 4 months, the power-switch stopped catching; the vacuum would run as long as the switch was held in the On position, but once you let off, the switch popped back into the Off position. It took me a while to get it back to Kmart; they said the return period was only something like 14 days, but they swapped me anyway with an identical unit. (Good for Kmart!) Less than two weeks later, the new unit works for a while, but if you turn it off, it won't come back on until it has a 15-20 minute resting period, like it has an over-heating problem and needs a cool-down. I grew up in the decades when Kenmore was a name to be trusted; I no longer trust Kenmores.

I bought a Kenmore vacuum cleaner from K-Mart last year. There was a short in the on/off switch so I returned it and got another one. The 2nd vacuum cleaner shot sparks and burned out when I was using it this past weekend. Here's the model# and picture of the cord damage and burned area. This vacuum is unsafe to use and I had to throw it away. Kenmore products do not last very long, at least in my recent experience.

My husband read all the glowing reviews about Kenmore canister vacuums in Consumer Reports. We bought one to the tune of $600. I have never bought a vacuum for half that much but it was supposed to be wonderful. It has been a hot mess from day one. Using it is like wrestling with a bear. It wears you out. It's hard to pull. It doesn't track behind as you go. I've had it flip over many times. I have a thicker carpet. It does a great job if you are willing to spend a half hour on each room. The power head has been replaced four times now because the connection is engineered poorly. That is what I am told but it still costs over $160. every time it's replaced.

So much for Consumer Reports! The last time I had it repaired I got it home, tried it out and it still wasn't working. I took it directly back. I'd been out of the store one hour. They wanted to charge me another repair charge. After getting a bit upset, they agreed to send it back for another look. I was without a vacuum a total of one month. Great vacuum when it works which is seldom.

Bought an upright Kenmore vac about 18 months ago from Kmart. It does a good job picking stuff up when it works! Once again, it stopped halfway thru a room and won't turn back on. This happens way too often and sometimes won't restart for days or even a week. We have always had good luck with Kenmore products over the years but this is a piece of junk! Doesn't matter how good it picks stuff up if it stops working. I should have returned it immediately when I saw there was no warranty with it. No more Kenmore products for me!

Kenmore Intuition Canister Vacuum - This vacuum sucks! Plain and simple. The bag is only half full and I have to change it. It spits out more dog hair than it sucks up. I will NEVER buy another Kenmore product!

We purchased a Sears Kenmore canister vacuum cleaner in July, 2011 at a cost of $667.78. This sweeper was highly rated by Consumer Reports and we had excellent luck with a prior Sears canister vacuum cleaner that lasted many years. In February, 2015 the vacuum stopped working all of a sudden and without warning. It had not been abused in any way and was well cared for. We took it to the Sears store where we purchased it. We were told by them to take it to UPS to have it shipped to Sears repair center. After several months, we had not received the repaired vacuum. After many inquiring calls to Sears, we were told that it was in the store and available for pick-up. My husband brought it home and, to our amazement, it still wouldn't turn on. We contacted Sears and were told we had to bring it back to the store. We had paid for the repair once and were told we wouldn't have to pay a second time since the sweeper still didn't work.

It is now the 31st of May and we do not have our vacuum cleaner. No one seems to know where it is or when we will get it back. Worst of all, no one seems to care. They just offer us a 10% off coupon on a future Sears purchase (which will never happen again). I can't begin to describe our anger and frustration at this unbelievable situation. The store manager was incredibly rude when we spoke with her. The whole experience tells me to stay away from Sears at all cost. It used to be a reputable company but, sadly, no more. Every time I write to customer service, I get a response from a different individual. There is no one with whom we can keep in touch to get our issue resolved. It's a sad situation when American businesses come to this.

I purchased a canister vacuum cleaner. I ordered bags as I ran out of them. I waited 3 months, called customer service in India was transferring back and forth and finally canceled the order. They are selling products and don't have parts in stock. Very misleading!!!

Purchased a central vac from Sears and installed it myself several months later. Didn't work properly out of the box. No big deal...stuff happens. Phoned their 24-hour service number listed in the manual....no such thing as a 24-hour service number. Waited the next day and phoned service number during regular business hours and reached a call center in Pakistan, I think. The first service rep I reached took every possible piece of personal info from me as well as info regarding central vac, then tried to sell me stuff. I politely declined sales pitch. He told me no problem...I could have a new central vac or have the existing one repaired. I opted for new unit. Why not?

I was then transferred to repair rep number two. She asked me for every piece of personal info from me as well as info regarding central vac, then she tried to sell me stuff. I politely declined the sales pitch. She then told me that I couldn't have a new unit, but they would repair the existing unit. I had no problem with that. She then transferred me to a third repair rep who asked for every piece of personal info as well as info regarding the central vac, then she tried to sell me stuff. I politely declined the sales pitch. She said she would arrange a repair visit and explained my central vac warranty was going to run out soon as it only had a one year warranty, even though the central vac manual clearly stated it had a two-year warranty.

I pointed out the two-year warranty statement for my model that was listed in the central vac manual. At this point I was on the phone about this issue for about 40 minutes and beginning to lose patience as she insisted it was a one-year warranty and would run out soon. Then out of the blue she asked me, "how was my weekend?" (It was a Monday when I called). It was at this point I lost my patience and informed her that my weekend was lousy because instead of being downtown with my friends drinking, I had to spend it screwing around with the central vac. At this point I dropped several F bombs in my explanation and we both started yelling at each other until she finally hung up on me. I was really beside myself because of the frustration dealing with three repair reps, losing an hour's pay at work talking to them and her asking how my weekend was.

Not having a repair appointment arranged and not wanting to phone Pakistan again, I phoned the local Sears store early morning the next day to speak to the central vac manager. He wasn't in, so I left a message with the merchandise manager who seemed to sympathize with my plight. Not having my phone call returned by the central vac manager all day, I dropped into the store on the way home from work. The nice vacuum saleslady at Sears informed that the central vac manager was eating lunch and would return in half an hour. No problem...we have to eat, so I said I would return in an hour. I returned in an hour to find no salesperson in vacuums, electronics or tool department.

Found some women in another department who said that the central vac manager was having supper. I told her that "no, he had already been to supper an hour earlier and that I wanted to see him now please". She looked kind of annoyed at me and said she would call him. As I walked back to the vacuum department, I observed her pick up her phone for only a second, her lips never moved, she hung up the phone, grabbed her coat and left. I waited 15 minutes but no sign of central vac manager. I went over to the furniture department and asked them if they could page central vac manager, which they did and he finally showed up 15 minutes later.

I was quite irritated at this point and began explaining my situation to him and asked him to help me out and assist with arranging a service call to my house. He said there was nothing he could do for me but did appreciate what I was going through. I asked why he didn't return my call earlier in the day, but explained he was too busy. I lost it and dropped a few F bombs. Here is a guy who wasn't on the sales floor, had very little stock on the floor, doesn't arrange repair visits and can't assist a customer. What does he do all day, besides have supper all the time? Told him he was useless, went home and told my wife she would have to arrange repair call. She called Sears and eventually got a service call call arranged. She didn't have to give too much info as I had already given it three times that day.

So finally a week later, a service guy shows up at my house (I'm at work) to have a look at central vac. He phones me at work to ask me exactly what the problem was and after talking to him for 10 minutes, he can't seem to understand. So, I leave work to meet him at my house. He has no clue as to what the different opening are on the central vacuum cleaner was and seems to have a vague idea of how it works. Before I can lose my mind, he informs me that "he can't remember the last time he worked on a central vac and couldn't believe that anyone even buys them anymore, after all, I have to repair all of the different appliances that Sears sells". I am flabbergasted at his remarks. After giving him a central vac 101 course and with my help, he finally determines that it must be a faulty switch on the power nozzle. Says he will order one in and leaves.

He then phones back later that night wondering if I could give him the part number for the faulty nozzle switch. He is suppose to come back at some time in the future to replace it and test the central vac. Stay tuned because I'm skeptical this is going to work out for me. When I was a younger man, Sears brands and service was the envy of the retail world, and now it's absolutely the bottom of the barrel. The girl or guy working at my local Walmart store has 10 times the training and more importantly, has a genuine interest in helping me. They really care and try to help, but this crew at Sears are deflated and are empty shells of human beings with apathy as their guiding principle. I will never purchase another thing at a Sears store or out of their catalog again. A comedy of errors that rivals the keystone cops. I recommend that people should shop somewhere...anywhere except at this shell of a retailer.

I bought replacement belts for Progressive vacuum... and the belt continually breaks after using the belt only one half hour... What the heck is going on? Store employee looked up belt online to make sure it was the recommended belt... and it was... Now when I got home the belt broke immediately.. Look at the date on the receipt number... it is today! I see other customers complaining about the same issue... Why have this going on with the product? How simple is a belt problem to fix??

We purchased a new high end canister vacuum, but it constantly tripped the circuit breakers; we returned that one, and bought one some 'steps down' (another canister). Although it does not trip the breakers as much, today was the last straw. I really wonder what can happen after we have to vacuum the hair from the new dog. I am going to return this one again, and hope I receive credit, at the very least. I did obtain the purchase protection, so I am hopeful.... I used to have an earlier model which was wonderful, but gave it to a relative who needed one desperately. I am very distressed about this product. We live in a new home, so everything is certainly "up to code" and represents the latest in safety electrical wiring. Of major concern, of course, is safety!!!!!!

Kenmore Central Vacuum System Model # 108-34011 The issue began August 19, 2014. The purchase was made at local "Sears" October 25, 2013. Service was requested immediately! I kept detailed account and have almost a book of what we have gone through. The regional contractor came to the house for 9 minutes. Finally a second service order was issued; we await satisfaction from that November 3, 2014. So, what happened in August....the arm of the power nozzle fell apart, the contractor stated that Sears sent the wrong part. I the customer finally got a reordering of the part but the system does not work thus the Contractor to come November 3, 2014. Hours of waiting time on the phone, no vacuum use, tossing back & forth between Contractor and Sears Call Service from India, Philippines, etc.

Our electrical contractor installed a Kenmore Elite Central Vacuum in 2008 in our new home we built and we have had the motor replaced twice, and now we have to have a technician come in and replace it for the 3rd time in a period of 6 years! I recently called the 1800-469-4663 service number and explained the problem we have (which is identical to the last 2 we had) and I was advised the motor is no longer under warranty. I explained that my manual clearly states it is under a 10 year warranty. After arguing with the person for quite some time, and asking to speak with his supervisor, he finally stated that he would call someone to come and look at it and replace the motor, but I had to prove to the technician by showing him our manual that the motor was still under warranty.

Unreal, don't they know what products are covered under warranty? This is all so frustrating to have to have the motor replaced 3 times and told it is no longer under warranty when it is. What is more a thorn in my side is the cost of labor at $200/each time it gets replaced. If the 3rd new motor blows again (even if it is still covered under parts warranty), this will be the last service call I ever make to Sears for this product, and the last Kenmore product I will ever buy. Looking forward to replacing this unit with another more reliable product if the new motor does not last more than 10+ years. Tired of paying labor costs to replace this problematic motor.

This vacuum seems to have a design flaw. The suction takes the dirt, etc. to the machine and it enters and there is a constricted area inside. It clogs up with hair, small pieces of paper and causes a jam resulting in great reduction of suction and the machine shuts off. It is messy to remove the stuff in the narrowed space. I purchased it at Kmart. I can find my credit card charge but not the store receipt. This machine is a total waste of $$, unless you never have hair, and other not dirt stuff that needs to be vacuumed. I was told by Kenmore 1-888-KENMORE that since I purchased at K-Mart and there is no Sears in my town that I have to box it up and take it to Kmart. Kmart said to bring it in but they would not commit to a refund. Kmart did not offer to look up the credit card to see what was purchased. I do not want another of the same because the engineering would have the same flaw that is the cause of the very useless performance of the vacuum.

Kenmore Elite Central Vacuum Cleaner - Well, I just went through the registration hassle to let everybody know what piece of junk those cleaners are. The first one broke within the first month and was repaired. It broke again after a couple of months and I returned/exchanged it for a newer model. The story started again, it broke two times during the warranty time (repaired) and now the switch on handle hose is gone. The warranty for the hose is gone. I have to pay a technician to repair it. NO, I will not do that, I will throw this junk away learn the lesson and buy something else.

We looked at all different types of vacuum cleaners and Kenmore vacuum cleaners were rated one of the best for the price. Totally disappointed! The floor part will not stay hooked to the vacuum and you are always fixing it to continue vacuuming. It lost quite a bit of its suction and the motor acts like it's going to blow. Now, I reminder you, this is only a year old. Now I wonder if the makers of Kenmore vacuum cleaners will come good on this or do I just suck it up? Let me remind you again, this Kenmore vacuum cleaner is only one year old.

I am aware that I did not buy one of the most expensive vacuums. But because it was a Kenmore product, I at least expected to be satisfied. I have never used a vacuum that disappointed me as much.

I am 62 years with five grown children who has had a lot of friends come to our home. So believe me, I have purchased several vacuums in my day. I don't usually complain as a matter of fact. I usually take my bumps pretty well and move on, but I am really disappointed and my vacuum sucks. I do not even know what to expect from this complaint, but I had to get it off my chest.

Our Sears Kenmore vacuum cleaner was two months out of warranty. After it stopped producing suction, we cleaned it thoroughly per the manual, with no result. We took it into the store where it was purchased, and the salesperson helped me disassemble it, and we could see no blockage. Off it went to the repair shop in K.C. for $79.99. They told me they "performed preventive maintenance", and "removed a clog", and "repaired and cleaned the agitator". When we got it back, the agitator still had hair stuck in it, so I know they didn't do anything with that. I called the 888 complaint number, and they couldn't say what "preventive maintenance was". I asked to be told where the supposed clog had been, and I was told I would have to send the unit back in, and pay another $79.99 to find that out! I'll never trade at the Sears store again.

Sears Canada was supposed to repair my vacuum three times for the same problem. Two times under warranty, the problem was never fixed. The third time I sent it in, it was off warranty but they suddenly found the problem and wanted $180 to fix it. When I refused, they said they will not release my vacuum (unfixed) unless I pay them another $50. This is blackmail and ransom. Should I sue them in court and for what damages? Besides the mental stress, I am out of over $600 I paid for this bad Kenmore vacuum.

I had bought a Kenmore Vacuum from Sears on October 2007. From August 2009 until now ( August 2010) the Vacuum broke 5 times. I have purchased a Sears Protection Agreement. I was told if in one year the Vacuum breaks 4 times, they would replace it. I took the vacuum in five times to repair. I called Sears last week after the fourth time repair to find out what was wrong that the Vacuum I picked up and still was not working. At Sears, no one is authorized to do anything except pass the customer on to the next person. And I spoke to at least 12 people in few hours, when I complained to the 10 the person, why, nobody can answer my question, then she transferred me to another person and he offered me $25 gift card for my next purchase at Sears, which I did not take his offer. He was an another brick wall as well.

My vacuum is at sears repairs center for the fifth time in one year, which makes me physically and emotionally drained! I had to go buy a little Pick Up vacuum until my vacuum is repaired and returned or replaced. Sears has no intention of honoring the service agreement. I had purchased two vacuum before from sears and won't be buying any thing at Sears. I am physically and emotionally drained and very disappointed. Plus I can't buy every few years an over $400 vacuum!

I purchased the vacuum cleaner from Kmart on Friday January 22, 2009. When I opened the box, it had a strong chemical odor. At first, I thought the smell was from the packaging until I plugged in the vacuum. The smell was stronger. I unplugged it, read through the manual and found this statement. "Warning: The cords, wires and/or cables supplied this product contains chemicals, including lead, lead compounds, known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after using."

When my husband first gave me this vacuum as a present, it seemed great-good suction, long hose and cord. But the Handi-mate Jr. is worthless. The brush stops rotating with the least amount of pressure on the handle. The filter inside the vacuum is dirty with one use and is a pain to clean. It is only my husband and I so I can only imagine what it is like with a family or a dog! If the filter is clean, then the suction is bad and the filter needs cleaned every time. Now the filter is making a noise like it is loose and I haven't used the filter that long! To replace it will cost $20-$25. That is way too expensive for the short amount of use I got from that filter. I would not recommend this vacuum to anyone and I am very displeased. It was not an inexpensive vacuum to buy. We have used Kenmore washer, dryer and dishwasher. I am very unhappy with this product. I guess I can't say that enough!

I purchased a new Intuition canister vacuum cleaner on 1/11/09 with my debit card (model #16628014700). I turned it on a week later to use it and it wouldn't turn on. I thought it might be a socket problem so I moved it around to different outlets-none made it work. I then took it to the Columbia mall store and they told me that I couldn't get a refund without a 15% restocking fee. And WHEN I did get a refund it would be in the form of a store credit minus the restocking fee. They told me to give Sears a chance to fix it so I took it to the Sears repair store on Parklane Road in Columbia, SC. I picked up the vacuum cleaner two weeks later only to bring it all the way home to find out that it still had the same problem. So my husband took it in for the second time the very next day. I am now without a vacuum cleaner-they would not simply "exchange" it because they told me it was now "used" and that I would have to pay the difference between the price I paid for it and what the current cost-a difference of $100 more! I know there is a lemon law for cars but what is it for vacuum cleaners? I do not wish to purchase anything else from Sears-I may never shop there again. What are MY rights?

Do not buy a Kenmore Progressive vacuum cleaner. It is a flimsy piece of plastic junk. The lids covering the storage sections for brushes are difficult to open and close ... one broke off. It is extremely difficult to disconnect the parts from the hose. Get an Electrolux!

Purchased a Kenmore Progressive vacuum cleaner, Model 116 about 1 1/2 years ago after checking Consumer Reports ratings. This was supposed to be top of the line but after trying to become accustomed to it, I find that I am still dissatisfied with a some things. The main design problems are: no edge cleaning capabilities without using attachments, leading edge is too bulky to get under the edge of cabinets and it is just plain too heavy and awkward for comfortable use. I have a three level home and dread the thought of needing to carry it up/down the stairs.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Kenmore is a home appliance brand that has been manufacturing vacuum cleaners since 1932. It is controlled by Sears, which also sells the products.

• Diverse designs: Consumers can choose between several designs, including canister, handheld and upright vacuums.
  • Filters and accessories: Kenmore sells a range of filters and accessories that make its vacuums more useful.
  • Affordable prices: Most of Kenmore's vacuum cleaners cost less than 500 dollars.
  • Retail stores: Kenmore vacuums are sold in Sears stores, making it easy for potential buyers to explore options in person.
  • Color options: Kenmore vacuums are available in diverse colors.
  • Best for Kenmore has affordable vacuums that are good options for homeowners, renters, landlords and drivers.

Compare Vacuum Cleaners