2. Homeowners
  3. Vacuum Cleaners

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.05/5

Rainbow Vacuum Reviews

Original review: May 24, 2020

I purchased system a month ago. I rate my sales person as a 5 star. She gave a thorough demonstration of the system and what it could do, did not try to pressure me into enrolling in the program to earn a free system when I declined, did not pressure me to purchase the night of the demonstration, returned my texts promptly while I negotiated my contract terms. The SYSTEM is amazing. I have used every tool that has come with it and my 60 year old house is clean and fresh. While it is bulky and not for someone only interested in hitting the high spots, if you want one machine that can truly do it all this one is it. It works on water and HEPA filtration, so the water tank has to be cleaned out after each use, and reset with fresh sanitizer and fragrance (optional).

The air wash mode sounds like a plane in your house but in 30 Minutes you appreciate the noise as your air is fresh and clean. Running it on the lowest level 24/7 makes a low hum and keeps the air clean in between washes. This one machine replaced my vacuum, my shop vac, my hard floor duster and my hardfloor power cleaner as well as my Rug shampooer. I haven’t used the broom in a month! A closet full of machines reduced down to a shelf of accessories. Yes it is pricey. But worth every penny of the purchase price. Totally sold on this machine.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I have had Rainbow vacuums since 1979. I currently have the E2 type 12 Black and it better than the last E series that I have had since 1999. I am on my 3rd one and it is the best vacuum I have ever used. I have had pets and it is the only choice for a vacuum if you have them. It is costly but worth the money. The water filter is the best as it keeps the exhaust exceptionally clean and does not disperse it back into the air. If you have allergies this is the only machine in my opinion.

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I have used and owned MANY vacuums in my 50 years of life. We received the in-home demonstration for the Rainbow with no intention of buying, but planning to enjoy the free room air purifier. The cleaning this machine offers is far SUPERIOR to anything I have ever seen or used! The unit doesn't utilize a bag to trap the dirt, but water, and I've never seen a clean like it. An added bonus in that it freshens the air in your home as it cleans. The retail price is high, nearly $3000.00, but they offer incentives and discounts. There is a 15-year warranty standard on the machine, but I personally know people that have had their vacuum for over 25 years and it still works as well as the day they bought it! When it comes to vacuums it is best to choose quality of quantity, so choose Rainbow!

Original review: April 26, 2020

I’ve been a Rainbow vacuum owner and promoter since 1992. I bought a used one for $300. Had problems with fleas & dust before that purchase and never again. I ended up buying a new one about 5-years because I broke a piece of the old one. My family & friends who have other popular brands borrow my Rainbow for a “thorough” cleaning. Pricey but worth it. Some friends are in their 5+ vacuum purchases. I’m on 2.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Well bought this yesterday after an excessively lengthy demo. Got up early after running the air cleaner all night and the house smelled fresh, the water had hair and white sediment, which I can only guess to be dust and dander. We have 4 animals, 3 adults and a child in our home, and live in the windy desert, with a pet door. Life is dirty and dusty in our home. Our carpet is less than two years old, and of reasonable good quality but looked dirty and not soft at all. My husband and I were discussing wood floors.

Got up at 6:30 am and got to work vacuuming. Although it needs to be cleaned, and I am waiting on my attachment, I am absolutely amazed at what this product did to get dirt and animal hair out of the carpet. As where it was like walking in a crusty surface we are now walking on soft carpet that does not look matted down. As of this morning I am happy. I don't like the $3000 price, but sacrifice has been made for a healthy family and clean home. I have an open floor plan, cooking smells everywhere, it smelled amazing this morning!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rainbow Vacuum?

Original review: June 2, 2020

A friend of mine asked if my husband and I would participate in a Rainbow Vacuum demonstration. We agreed. The demonstration went fine. We agreed to purchase a Rainbow Vacuum on the 12 showing and 2 purchases. We went through The Rainbow Financial to finance the vacuum. We were rushed through the whole process. When I would ask what the total was. The rep would dance around my question. Later after everything settled down I got out what paper work was left. As I was looking over the contract, barely able to make out the numbers. I make out the total of $ 4895.00. I look at my husband, I asked him if he knew how much he was paying for the vacuum if we could not pull off the 12 shoes and 2 sales.

The next day I started contacting friends to see if any would like to participate. All said no money was tight because of covid-19. One even told me she had hers Rainbow for sale. So my husband and I decided to cancel our purchase. Upon reading the contract it stated that we had 3 days to take the contract to REXAIR to cancel the contract. Now at the bottom of the REXAIR CONTRACT SAYS.

You may cancel contract without Penalty or obligation. My husband took the copy of the contract to Rexair as was stated in the contract. Also stated in the contract was The seller is responsible for picking up the merchandise within 20 day OR if you wish comply with the seller's wishes. My Husband was called at work by Rexair and told that if he did not bring the merchandise to their store that they would not cancel the contract. The representatives of Rexair spoke very ugly to my husband and hung up on him. Needless to say this whole situation has made where I will not bother with ever purchasing a Rainbow Vacuum ever again.

Original review: May 31, 2020

If you have hardwood floors or tile floors this system is not good for them. You have to vacuum the floors repeatedly because the vacuum blows the particles around. They also stated the system had an automatic shutoff but it does not. The vacuum runs with no water in it so you have to constantly watch it so it does not run on empty. For the amount of money you spend that's the least it could do.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Moved to a new home. Old last home had central vac. We purchased our Rainbow vacuum close to 32 years ago for our first home and recently resurrected it. Powerful, effective, versatile. Uses a water tank. Amazing how much this vacuum picks up. With 2 dogs easily takes care of their hair as well. Attachments are easy to use.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I had a Dyson and thought that was a very good vacuum. However, once I tried the Rainbow, I was extremely happy with it and bought it immediately. It cleans so much better than my Dyson or any other vacuum I have. There is clean and then there is C L E A N!

Original review: May 6, 2020

Using the Rainbow with everything going through a water filter has really helped the dust and my allergies. Don't have to worry about dust from the vacuum being blown everywhere. It has been a plus to own.

Rainbow Vacuum author review by ConsumerAffairs

Rainbow vacuums are manufactured by Rexair LLC, an American company founded in 1932. Rexair rebranded its vacuums as Rainbow in the 1950s and continues to use the name.

• Water washing: Rainbow vacuums use water to clean floors naturally.

• Available attachments: Owners can add attachments for cleaning refrigerator coils, upholstery and small spaces.

• Fewer pollutants: Rainbow vacuums are certified by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers to remove pollutants from the air.

• Parts and supplies: Consumers can purchase parts and supplies from Rainbow's website.

• Worldwide distribution: Rainbow partners with distributors all over the world to make buying its vacuums more convenient.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team