2. Homeowners
  3. Vacuum Cleaners

4.0/5 (273 ratings)

About Rainbow Vacuum

Rainbow Vacuum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rainbow Vacuum?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rainbow Vacuum?

Original review: May 1, 2021

We purchased our Rainbow D4 vacuum cleaner in 1994 and we are still use it now in April 2021. The only replacement is the hose with the switch on and that’s pretty good when a modern UK vacuum only lasts about five years. So yes I am well pleased with our £1500 vacuum cleaner, and we also have some kitchen pans purchased at the same time and they are like new. Great product. Regards Nev ** May 1st 2021.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I bought my Rainbow in 1986 not long after my first husband and I built our house. Both of us thought it was absolutely awesome. My husband even wanted to sell them and he did that for a while. I have a different husband now, but the same house and the same Rainbow. I think my husband had to have something on it repaired several years ago, but that is all that's ever been required. It still runs today like it did when it was new. I know there have been a lot of improvements made since 1986, but I can't justify buying another one when this still performs like it's new. Anything that performs that well and that long is top quality in my book. The distributor in my town provided great service when we had the one repair and when we bought new brush attachments. I would give this company and vacuum 10 stars if I could!

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

So my grandma had a Rainbow in the mid 1980s. She loved it and years later I moved to another state and I remembered her Rainbow when I was looking for a vacuum for my new house. I called Rainbow and bought one. I didn't even want them demo. I bought brand new a gold 2 speed in summer 2006. I never let anyone use it but me. I have 2 cats. I've never had problems with clogs. I'm reading through the reveiws about clogs. I suppose that could happens with an unusually large amount of hair. Anyway, I've used my machine a lot over the years, even to clean the garage floor with the squeegee....

Last year, my rainbow stopped working. I took it to the Rainbow place here in Lexington and they called me and said it was the control board and those models from 2004 to 2009 had a lot of warranty problems so the company made a much better board, which he installed. He said he's never seen a rainbow as old as mine that clean, even the fans didn't need cleaning. These machines are not for everyone because some people just don't want to deal with the setup, storage. I don't mind it because in the long run I don't have to clean as often.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I have a cleaning service so I have seen and used many, many vacuums over the years and spent much money doing so. I have never had anything that cleans as thoroughly as the Rainbow. It’s way more than a vacuum. The fact that it is also a house purifier, capable of purifying the air of 3,000 sq ft in 30 minutes is incredible. It has helped my children with their allergies by keeping the air clean. I have unclogged drains with it as well. The carpet shampooer and the mop and brush for scrubbing floors is a time saver and it really works.

I would rather pay more for something that is good quality and works than buy many vacuums, shampooers etc that I end up throwing out. What vacuum has ever done all of these things? None. Honestly I refer to it as a rainbow system. The incentive rainbow offers works, you can literally get your rainbow for free. Plus the capability of getting the extra attachments free. It comes with an incredible warranty. They are built to last. I have friends that have had rainbows for 20 yrs or better.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I see some people dislike their rainbow vacuums, but my experience using and owning a rainbow is a positive one and I've owned 2 over the past 40 years. No bags to buy, works great on carpet and on flat bare floors, and of course you can vacuum up water with them. Keeping the water basin clean after each use makes a very big difference in keeping the motor fresh and clean, which allows the air going into the room fresh and clean. You can add a scent to the water like a drop of spearmint oil and it makes the air smell even nicer. I have not once had any failures with a rainbow, they are well made, although I do not own one of their newest models, but family members do and they have had no problems at all, I love my Rainbow!

Original review: July 25, 2021

My husband and I purchased the newest model of Rainbow vacuum after buying our first home in 2021. I was THRILLED with it the first few days, but quickly realized I still had to use my mop and carpet shampooer, unless I earned or purchased the extra accessories to make my Rainbow do so. It is very convenient for vacuuming hardwood floors, and makes my house smell great, we can tell a difference in the air.

But.. not even 30 days in I was emptying the bowl and dropped it. It cracked and was unusable. I contacted my "coach" for the program to see about a replacement to find out like many other buyers have stated "it's not covered under warranty." I understand a warranty is not insurance, and the bowls may be "built tough" but as a customer paying almost 4,000$ for something that broke so easily, I expected much better customer service. Then, once I expressed my frustrations about the product to my coach, and explained I was having no luck with my program, she continually blamed me, made excuses, and then used the contacts they received through my personal Facebook page, without giving me credit or even telling me. I would still recommend the product but they need to tell people the truth about how the program and warranty works first.

Original review: July 12, 2021

This vacuum works well, but... they sell fragrance because it smells so terrible. It's awful. The pricing is not consistent. If your credit score is low you will pay more. Do yourself a huge favor. Buy a Dyson and a Roomba.

Original review: April 21, 2021

First of all, I am completely satisfied with the actual product. Having said that, the program offered to "earn" your Rainbow for "free" is a fraud. I did receive my $3000 check last evening after waiting 8 weeks for completing my obligations for the program. I was also told to sign a 1099 for the check, and told that the check falls under "lottery" taxes. This places it at a higher tax rate that will substantially diminish the actual $3000 I "earned" back.

This information was NEVER conveyed during my sales presentation, let alone the other 12 presentations that I scheduled and participated in. We were ALL told that we'd receive the $3000 back minus the sales tax. I sold 5 units out of the 12 showings. I did receive the promotional products in accordance with the program as promised. I had to call the 5 buyers last evening and tell them the actual conditions they'd receive their $3000 back once completing the program. Needless to say they were not happy. This has placed me in a very difficult situation due to scheduling these presentations with trusted friends/family only to find out that I endorsed a misleading/fraudulent program.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Breathe better and sleeping better within one night. I noticed a change in air quality! It is fantastic! Especially with myself having asthma and having a dog in the home. I am beyond glad to have ventured out to see what the Rainbow can do! Better health!

Original review: April 7, 2021

The demonstration shown was amazing. We had no intention of buying the product but was convinced once shown. We have enjoyed the vacuum so far and it does a much better job than other brands. Air quality in the home has definitely improved.

Rainbow Vacuum author review by ConsumerAffairs

Rainbow vacuums are manufactured by Rexair LLC, an American company founded in 1932. Rexair rebranded its vacuums as Rainbow in the 1950s and continues to use the name.

• Water washing: Rainbow vacuums use water to clean floors naturally.

• Available attachments: Owners can add attachments for cleaning refrigerator coils, upholstery and small spaces.

• Fewer pollutants: Rainbow vacuums are certified by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers to remove pollutants from the air.

• Parts and supplies: Consumers can purchase parts and supplies from Rainbow's website.

• Worldwide distribution: Rainbow partners with distributors all over the world to make buying its vacuums more convenient.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team