2.95/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Rainbow Vacuum Reviews

Original review: June 5, 2019

I entered a drawing at a local fair to win an air filter. I got a call a few days later from someone telling me that I would be hand delivered the filter. I was asked if I would be willing to watch a product demonstration and I agreed. We set a date and time that was manageable for me and the rep came to my house. Though it was ultimately a sales pitch, I was still told it would be a product demonstration beforehand and I appreciated he was upfront about it.

The first thing the rep did was set up the air filter, demonstrate how to use it, clean it and maintain it and then showed me some of the various scents available, but before demonstrating a scent, (this is important) he asked if I, or anyone in the house was allergic to any kind of scents. We are not, but again, this was a considerate action to take before just dropping a scent and flooding the room with it. I could instantly feel and see the difference in the room as floating carpet dust, animal hairs, etc were sucked into it.

After the air filter demo, he asked again, if he could demo a Rainbow vacuum system. This was where the sales pitch would come in, but he wasn't being pushy or trying to get right to an attempt to sell me something. I am familiar with Rainbow vacuums. My mother had one in the early 90s and used it all the time. This new system? I was blown away by the new technology.

I had been using a Kirby for a few years and despite its cleaning power, it still left a lot of dust behind and I was too often having to clean and change the filters. And the vacuum unit was very heavy. Changing the accessories and setups was a hassle. The Rainbow vacuum is lightweight and moves around easily on carpet, tile and wood floors (all of which I have). I vacuumed a section of our carpet with the Kirby, after having put a new filter in earlier in the day coincidentally, you could see the dust that the Kirby was kicking up, despite what it was pulling from the carpet.

The rep then showed me how the Rainbow unit also acts as a giant air filter for large rooms. I watched after he turned it on, as it pulled in all the dust and fibers the Kirby had kicked up. The room instantly felt cleaner just breathing the air. The rep then set up the unit to vacuum, demonstrating all the attachments and vacuumed the same area I had already cleaned. The fact that it pulled SO much out of the carpets was astounding. But the thing that blew me away in that regard, was that not only did the Rainbow pull up more than the Kirby, but it also created no dust in the air. And I mean none. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, all of which shed and there was no trace of pet hair or dander in the air. I was sold right then and there in the quality and performance of the Rainbow unit. I also live in a log home, and dusting the walls and roof is a necessary but backbreaking chore.

The rep pulled out an attachment that is typically used for hardwood or tile and I watched as it cleaned the wall section he went over. Again, and this is really important, no dust was being kicked up or left behind. This is such a better cleaning system than any of the other vacuum types I have used that I bought the unit then and there. The rep bought my Kirby at nearly the price I had paid for it and I set up the financing for the remainder.

I am SO glad I made the switch to Rainbow because not only does it clean much more efficiently, but the entire house just feels cleaner. Healthier. Breathing feels better. I have used it to vacuum carpet, hardwood and tile, as well as our log home walls and ceiling and it does not disappoint. I don't have the carpet shampooer attachment yet, but whether or not my references decide to undergo the demo, I will be getting one.

As far as the water basin in the unit where so many people complain about it. You are cleaning your home. In order for this piece of machinery to function as intended, you have to clean and maintain it. It requires work as does the cleaning itself. Unless you can afford to hire a maid (who likely won't clean anywhere near as well as the Rainbow), roll up your sleeves and keep the basin clean. Common sense tells you that after vacuuming you don't just put hair and dirt filled water containers aside for days unless you are trying to grow something 5 kinds of disgusting and will smell awful. Cleaning doesn't end when you turn the power off! It is a necessary step in providing yourself with a cleaner home. Small price to pay.

I could not be happier with the Rainbow and the Rep that demoed it did an amazing job of explaining all the functions and capabilities. 10/10 would recommend not only the Rainbow system, but the rep I bought it from. You are investing in a cleaner home with a system that is durable and long lasting. But your house will only be cleaner if you use it. Hopefully my review gives you some insight into possibly purchasing a Rainbow system. I won't tell you to just do it already. Do your research, check out what is out there. But for me, this is the best vacuum system I could possibly want.

Original review: March 18, 2019

We purchased our Rainbow 3 months ago, and it has been the best decision we have made for our family! First off, it acts as an air purifier 24/7 which means I clean up a FRACTION of pet hair (I have a long haired dog and cat) from the floors than I used to. Secondly, my carpeted stairs and microfiber couch have never been cleaner. The stairs feel fluffy and squishy instead of matted and intertwined with black dog hair. Being able to easily clean all of my hardwood floors & baseboards, dust my electronics, pictures and shelves with one machine and with no chemicals has made me feel so grateful!

On top of just loving the Rainbow itself, learning about the quality of indoor air and being able to protect my family has been a huge blessing. We owned a Dyson before this, and we thought we had a good product. It has proved to be less than amazing, they just have really good marketing. Dry filters don't work no matter if they are in a $500 Dyson or a $3500 Kirby. Water as a filter is genius and it's really not hard to clean out, so totally worth the extra step.

I didn't have $3000 in my bank account when we had our presentation, so I am so grateful that they offered me a payment plan. I would pay $100 a month for the rest of my life if I meant I would be able to keep this machine in my home. Don't be scared of the price tag, folks! Realize that these Dealers are doing their best to provide for their families as well, so you are able to help other people just like yourself instead of throwing money away to some billion dollar company.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My mother bought a rainbow back in the early 80s, it still works, I bought her a new tank and a brush for her motorized head and it has less options than mine, but still does a great job. My neighbor bought one and I agreed to let them do a demo and told them I wasn't buying it. The guy came over and was as plastic as they come. He told me putting ice cubes in it would drop the room temperature 3 degrees, I told him, "No, it doesn't have a condenser. That ain't happening." He went on and on about the air purifier and kept banging this light on the floor. I kept telling him, "Move on, I've seen everything you have shown me so far."

Finally he gets to the part where he vacuums my hardwood floors and shows me all the dirt and sand in between the planks, then he uses the rain jet to clean the floor. He only spent about five minutes doing that, but it worked. That was what I needed to want one. I never buy from anyone selling door to door, but I asked him how much for the vacuum and the rain jet, he came back at $3,800 or so, so I told him to take a hike.

I continued to look online and I finally found a place in NYC that sells remanufactured rainbows for about $1,300, so about a third of the price. I bought it and it came in the mail and everything on it was brand new. I probably would never get any warranty work for the guy, but anyone with a little mechanical background can repair one of these with a YouTube video. It does a great job, I have had mine for probably two years. There are multiple sites online that sell the deodorized, scents and accessories. I just bought the small power nozzle and some scent and replacement brushes for a little over $100. It removes hair, dust, skins cells and it smells clean as it works. It's worth having one, but don't ever let them in your house and buy it online, on Amazon. You can check out the person's rating and you will save thousands.

The Rexaire people will try to scare you by saying it will be stolen or they won't service it, guess what? They won't service it without you paying for the service anyway so why pay more. Why give up three hours of your life to get an AIDA salesperson, who lies about things that they don't even need to lie about. Guess what? It is a great product, but you will always have dust and dirt and skin cells in your house, this just does a much better job than most vacuums at removing them.

Plus when you clean it, everything is wet, so you don't have all this nasty dust going back into the air. Instead you have to clean a bedpan, but it cleans completly in about 15 minutes and then you just put it up. You need to clean the spinning filter about every other time, because it get a lot of fine dust on it and you need to change the HEPA filter about once a year, don't try to run water over it and let it dry, it won't. Just spend the $18 and throw it out like your AC filters. Great product, way overprice if you get it from a dealer.

Original review: March 5, 2019

We bought our Rainbow cleaning system in August 2018. Within 24 hours I could already feel the difference in the air. If you have ever researched home air purifiers then you know they are pricey and a lot of maintenance costs over the lifespan. The Rainbow uses cold tap water as its filter!!! You never have to buy another filter!!! I was quoted $2000 to put air scrubbers in both our HVAC systems and those only cleaned the air. Not our home.

BONUS, I was able to get the Rainbow for free. I was super proactive and contacted my friends with kids struggling with allergies and asthma. I was able to get fully reimbursed within 45 days. It not only is an amazing product but our family got it for free. We only paid the tax. We have had it six months and the water basin still looks new. Our children (6 & 18 months) are NEVER sick!!! That’s worth every penny even if we had to pay it in full. I use the system as a wet vac at least twice weekly since I have a boy who likes to be messy. Our lives have changed for the better because of this system. Seeing negative reviews about the demo and people who didn’t finish earning it free is giving many people the wrong perception for a super awesome product.

We have seen so many friends with kids on inhalers slow down or stop the use all together. Friends off allergy meds. People cleaning and actually enjoying it! Feeling clean! The reduction in cost for cleaning supplies in the home has been amazing. I clean my entire home with the rainbow system and Norwex clothes. I have sanitizing wipes just in case but I rarely use them. It’s hard to believe the Rainbow cleans EVERY THING in our home but it truly does.

If you are looking for a solution to smelly, mildew, pet stinky, cat odor type of air in your home or even workplace, this will fix that problem. If you hate buying new filters and cleaning them between use while being exposed to all that crazy dust and dirt when dumping your vacuum, this will fix your problem. From a mom to all the mom and dads out there, your health and children’s health will Thank You. You should never regret investing in the lifespan of your home and your family.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I had a rep come to my home who was a nice young lady who informed me on Facebook that she was just trying to get her machine for free and needed a couple more people to view the product to get hers free. I agreed to help her but informed her by phone that I would not be purchasing anything. She assured me that wasn't a problem with her so we made the appointment. Now to set the stage for you, I grew up with a Rainbow, my mother has had the same one for about 35 years now and still uses it to this day. I actually thought the company had gone out of business because there were no ads for them and I never saw one at a store. Plus without repeat customers how could they stay in business?

So the day came for our demo my husband was active duty Navy and he was 5 days from being out of the service. Also meaning we were 5 days from moving. With a 16 month old baby, I only worked Part-time. We owned a Kirby because it was supposed to be the best money could buy. We financed that and still owed about $1800 on it. Clearly we were in no shape to be purchasing anything. We even pinky swore to each other before she arrived that we would say no if the other started to falter and say yes to buying. Just to prevent a desire to purchase I vacuumed my home 20 minutes before she arrived. Grinning like an obnoxious kid saying, "She not pulling any dirt out of my floor 'cause I have a Kirby."

We greeted her at the door and reiterated that I would love to see what a new model looked like but would NOT be purchasing ANYTHING! Again she smiled and assured me that was ok. My home was completely void of any furniture due to the move and I figured this would be a great way to get my floors cleaned for free before our final inspection. Less than 5 minutes into her demo she informed me that I too could have a free one if I would like to participate in a company program so I was a little intrigued by the idea. I loved that the new one was also a certified air cleaner because I have terrible allergies plus 2 dogs. She then did a small test on the floor of vacuuming and when she showed me what she got out of my freshly Kirby vacuumed floor, my eyes almost popped out of my head. It looked like a fancy restaurant appetizer with multi-layered parts but instead of food it was filth.

I began to recall the Kirby demo we had several years prior and how they had dumped baking soda onto my carpet and let me smear it in with my crappy Walmart vacuum before they "pulled it all out" with the Kirby. At the time that was a big selling point for how good the machine worked. I asked our Rainbow Rep to kindly vacuum that same area of my hall as well. To my shock, awe, horror and disgust she pulled almost half a box of baking soda out of my carpet. I knew in that moment we had purchased an extremely overpriced paperweight because my God our Kirby's heavy.

Needless to say I was sold. I also did the program and got all my money back on my machine plus made money and got prizes along the way. Even if I hadn't gotten my money back the machine has paid for itself in the last 7 years 10 times over. I've picked up pee, vomit, milk, poop, paint, glass, shoe polish, blood, spaghetti and meatballs and more. I dare you to do that with a regular vacuum. I like my Tempur-Pedic mattress, I appreciate my Prius but I LOVE my Rainbow!!! Eco-friendly, house smells great, no more allergies and does what I paid for everytime I need it. My warning would be to get it from the Rainbow distributor because that's way too much money to risk on a 3rd party online. Would you seriously buy a car without a test drive or taking a peek under the hood? Think about it, If the machine really isn't stolen and there is really nothing wrong with it why would someone sell it for half of what it's worth online???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rainbow Vacuum?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

This company is a huge waste of time. This product is horrible. Why? Because it never makes it to your house. They booked an appointment with me and never showed up. I rushed home, rearranged my day so that I can meet them for their presentation and they didn't show. Didn't call NADDA!!! After I posted a review on Facebook they done called me and stated that they called me to try and cancel and her excuse for not showing up was that she had to work all day. HUH?Extremely unprofessional and disrespectful of my time. Apparently they told my friend that referred me to them that they were going to give me a free unit with oils. I haven't heard or seen any of this and doubt I will. Don't waste your time with these people!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I recently saw an ad for a free air purifier, so I inquired and set up an appointment for a demo (required to get free mini purifier. I was told it would take 1/2 hour to an hour. First lie. The salesman was in my house for more than three hours. I am a single woman who rents. I mention this because it will be pertinent information later in my review. When the salesman arrived, he came in with not only the mini purifier, but several other boxes. In them was the Rainbow cleaning system. His presentation was very scripted and came complete with the effects you’d expect from a veteran door-to-door salesman, which is basically what he was. He went through scuffing my carpet under bright light to see dust particles, he had me vacuum a 3 by 3 spot 100 times to show me how much direct remained, and was lifted by the Rainbow system afterward, etc.

Although I was impressed with the product, the salesman evaded any question I asked that he didn’t want to answer, such as, “How much is it?” Or “Does it come with the attachments needed to wash bare floors and steam my couches?” He would reply with lines like, “It’s all in the box,” which it’s not, or “Let me ask you this.” That was his favorite line for evading my questions. I was impressed enough that I let my good judgment and intuition slack and moved forward with buying options. I was told that if I got 20 friends to agree to let him demo in their home, I would earn my Rainbow for free. At no time did he tell me they have to be qualified, which means married, gainfully employed, and own their own home. It was only after I had given him 20 names and numbers did he begin to offer the stipulations, and there were many.

Aside from the ones I’ve already listed there was 1. I had to ride along with him, a virtual stranger, to these demos. 2. He refused to demo to single men. 3. Any woman who requested a demo had to be married and her husband had to be home at the time of the demo. This is where the fact that I am single comes in. He willingly came to my home without a man present, but would not do it for any of the single women I gave as contacts. Bottom line, you WILL NOT earn your vacuum for free - but they got their contacts from you.

As for the attachments, NOT in the box - the box they take with them when they leave. When I asked why they were taking it, he said, “We recycle.” WTF? I said, “So do I,” to which he replied, “Actually, we take it because we’ve found that if we leave it, people attempt to put the system back in the box to see if it goes back in the way it came out, and never use it again.” You’ve got to be kidding me. That reply was so lame, but even if it were the truth, what would they care? They got their money, so what would they care if someone never used it again? Bogus excuses, and they’re full of them. Then he tells me, "Well, in the event some of your twenty people back out of their demos, we have to have a contract and credit report on file because after 90 days you’ll have to begin making payments." Okay... I was certain I’d get my twenty demos so I didn’t think that would be an issue. Red flags flying.

After he got my credit info and made a call where he barely said anything, they apparently did all of the talking, he comes back and says, “they aren’t willing to give you 90 days, and they want me to get a $100 good faith check.” At this point I was still under the impression I only had to get 20 demo appointments and I’d get my cleaner for free, so I still wasn’t concerned. Only once everything was signed, money exchanged, vacuum (minus packaging) left did I learn...
      1. Only “qualified” people count toward your twenty. No single women (even though I was), no men, no renters, both spouses must be present. That wiped out more than half my list.
      2. I had to ride along to 5 of the demos and THEN I had to do the other fifteen myself. That fact was totally avoided while he was here.

3. You don’t get the attachments with the system, you either buy them, or earn them. To earn them you are basically signing on to work for them.

In an attempt to shorten my story a bit, I backed out and learned you only have 3 days to return the cleaner from the time he leaves your house. I was still within my 3 days so I called him and asked him to come pick it up and bring my $100 back. He said, “Oh, I can’t do that. You have to write to the company and your letter has to be postmarked within the 72 hour period for it to count. I managed to get that done, but the office manager called in the meantime to ask me if he could come out and find out exactly what happened, talk it through, make it right. I agreed. He was the good cop to the salesman’s bad cop. He dissed his salesman, told me how he’d been having problems with him (even though he’d been one of their salesmen for 11 years) and offered me a newer model vacuum (that I was never made aware of at the demo) for the same price.

He lowered the number of qualified demos I would need to earn attachments, but I’d still have to buy the cleaner. He was a smooth talker and I was still sold on the cleaner, so I agreed. Then, a million issues with my loan application surfaced AFTER I’d already been approved. At that point my instincts prevailed and after the final issue I told them I’d changed my mind. Buying a vacuum cleaner should never be so hard.

My advice, if you do the demo and truly like the cleaner, buy it. Outright. Don’t do the earn it through demo crap they sell because you won’t. I read somewhere that only 1 in roughly 800 people earn it for free. I don’t know how true that is but after experiencing it for myself, it’s easy to believe. The product will sell itself, which makes me wonder why their salesman are so shady. They come in with a shtick and make it all seem so easy. It’s not. And the office manager’s job is to fix what his salesman break. When they cross too many lines and a customer asks too many questions, they send him in to fix what’s broken. I was told a number more things that weren’t true, such as how you cannot leave the water basin in the machine if it isn’t one or it will dry rot the seal, voiding your warranty.... for one. The machine is a quality product, their sales people - some of the most dishonest I’ve had the displeasure of dealing with. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Even though I had to give them a star they deserve 0. They try to make you book appts and it's nearly impossible. They leave the machine with you and tell you a bunch of bs then say, "Oh you didn't get financed" after a month of having the machine and say they have to pick it up. It's a vacuum not a air purifier and it's way over priced. Do not waste your money or the 3 hrs of them at your house after saying it would only take 30 min to a hr. Bad business. Highly do not recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Initial a friend posted about the Rainbow after she had bought one and advertised that anyone could get a free smaller air purifier. To get the free gift you had to sit through a product demo. The rep showed up and seemed very nice, set up the free air purifier and showed me how it worked. Then the real sales pitch started. He brought in the actual rainbow unit and started going over the features, vacuuming up dust and pet air with pieces of black fabric to show what was coming off the carpet. The whole presentation was extremely long- taking over two and a half hours. There was little chance for any me to talk, it was more like I was sitting through a very boring lecture and in fact any time I tried to talk I was cut off as the rep kept talking over me. I asked the price twice but it seemed like he wasn't able to get off script and only responded with 'its an investment.'

When we finally did after hours of being talked at get to the price (3100 dollars) I said I could not afford that, then he continues to push and go through payment plans, adding special offers, etc. Saying I had great credit so I got this and that. After having already worked a 12 day, having taken three hours of my time, and twisting things that I said to try and fit their narrative I found myself over and over asking for a day to think about this because it was a large cost, didn't know my budget, didn't think I needed it, etc. But it was if the guy was not even listening. I felt pretty helpless and finally agreed to the trial period because I had to be someone.

I immediately texted the next morning saying I had thought it over and didn't want it. Was sent on a back and forth between the boss who tried to get me to continue to think it over for a few more days (I believe trying to get me past the return period) and the guy who demoed the product even saying a sob story that I was costing him a trip he won for sales goals. When they finally agreed to come pick it up they took another two hours cleaning the machine at my house (extremely uncomfortable) before packing it up.

During the whole time I sat there as he was lecturing me on his beliefs on why the country has gone downhill and how immigrants are to blame along with teachers not teaching God's word. (I'm an immigrant who has been here for decades who just happens to be a teacher and could not care less if a student prays in class as that is their right.) Also tried to get me to believe a lot of fake news that was completely unresearched and has been disproven. Overall, found this company to waste a huge amount of my time, not listen to their customers, be irresponsible with their sales tactics- if someone is telling you they can't afford it do not continue to push and guilt them. Plus offensive with topics and manner towards customers- have your views and beliefs but be professional and represent your company while on the job. Even if I had three thousand dollars to spend on a vacuum I wouldn't buy from this company.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I purchased my product July 2018. It’s been amazing for my air and even help my son with his allergies. As long has you take care of the machine it’s works great. I recommend this to everyone I use. I love clean and I’m not too damn lazy to dump water.

Rainbow Vacuum expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Rainbow vacuums are manufactured by Rexair LLC, an American company founded in 1932. Rexair rebranded its vacuums as Rainbow in the 1950s and continues to use the name.

• Water washing: Rainbow vacuums use water to clean floors naturally.

• Available attachments: Owners can add attachments for cleaning refrigerator coils, upholstery and small spaces.

• Fewer pollutants: Rainbow vacuums are certified by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers to remove pollutants from the air.

• Parts and supplies: Consumers can purchase parts and supplies from Rainbow's website.

• Worldwide distribution: Rainbow partners with distributors all over the world to make buying its vacuums more convenient.

• Best for: Rainbow vacuums are good options for homeowners, renters and landlords who want clean, attractive floors.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs