Based on 46 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Rainbow Vacuum

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: March 2, 2018

302 Rainbow Vacuum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: March 2, 2018

ONE THING I WILL SAY, THE VACUUM works great ONCE I've prepared it. The "sales" show went so fast, I did not have time to really pay attention to all he had to do to use it, I was shocked how much "yuck" was coming out of my carpet, BUT... After two pinched nerves and being on my back and the expense of doctors and prescripts and the pain to use it ever after is a struggle, I would NOT have purchased it! There are many features that they need to upgrade, but for now... a "1" is all I can give since we are paying sooo much for pain! I'd rather have to vacuum 3 times a day with our OLD vacuum than full with this mess to clean it out.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Rainbow vacuum cleaners are in my book the best. You can treat pillows for allergy and I love the way it picks up everything. To have it trap it in water for me is awesome.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I really love that with the Rainbow the dirt is sucked up into a bowl of water instead of a bag with the remainder being reintroduced to the air. All of the dirt goes into the water bowl. You simply dump the water bowl when you are done vacuuming. It can also be used as an air purifier with different oils in the water, it can be set on low to continuously purify the air if you will.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

If the product was as revolutionary as they claim it is, the owners of the company would sell it on Amazon and make billions and not have to pay employees. Just like Amway or Herbalife, they rely on pushy salesmen coming to your home to sell you the product. Ask yourself this, how much do you think it costs for the Rainbow to be made? Maybe $50 or $100 at most. But they are trying to make you buy it for $3000. Crazy! Scam scam scam.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I don't understand the complaints on here. It sounds like y'all had some bad salesmen in your house for sure. It's a great company that's been around since 1936. The power nozzle is not separate it all comes with the Rainbow. They last for 40+ years and it's all American made and it actually works. It's taken people off of Inhalers and gets rid of allergies in the home. Now if you don't have allergies or asthma then the vacuum part is fantastic as well. It actually does what you buy it to do. I can't go through the whole demonstration on here or anything but for real if you have any complaints or questions about the price just comment on here and I can answer any questions you have about the product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rainbow Vacuum?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Always brush its teeth when finished. This minor maintenance task will add years to the vacuum's lifespan. The initial cost is well worth the expense. Put this on your wedding registry first.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I was doing some remodeling in my home and it was dust everywhere from cutting plaster. Tho, I tape the area off. Still a lot of dust. I had a vacuum cleaner but friend lend me a Rainbow and it did a better job and held the dust in the water bowl. Been using Rainbow for years. It is on the pricey side like Kirby. It also serve as a shampooer and has a set up for filtering the air too.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My Rainbow Vacuum unit is very old, but can still suck the fuzz off a peach. Thought about getting a newer model, but the saying around here is "use what you got".

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Rainbow Vacuum is the only vacuum that cleans the air as well as any surface. During the Northern California nearby Wildfires the air was filled with smoke for at least two Weeks. The Water filter That comes with the Rainbow Vacuum saved our Breath & Lungs.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

When it comes to the Rainbow, it has changed my life. The money I get to save due to the machine, plus the health benefit of it is absolutely amazing. No more allergy medicine, no more itching eyes or sneezing within my own home. Being certified by the asthma and allergy foundation is to me, far and beyond a qualified product. People can complain about a pushy salesman, the price or the programs that they have, but aside from maybe a bad experience, the product is amazing. Give Rainbow a fair and open chance to change your life.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

A lady came to our door advertising asking if we were interested in an air purification system. We have 2 large dogs, a toddler and I was pregnant with my 2nd child so we were very interested. She demonstrated how the Rainbow E series black worked by vacuuming our mattress, and having my husband use our vacuum on the carpet in a small area. After my husband vacuumed the area with at least 7 passes on the carpet, she went over the same area with the Rainbow. It pulled all kinds of dirt our vacuum left behind. She vacuumed the blinds, pictures, and even demonstrated the carpet cleaning attachment on a red punch stain on the carpet. It had been there for years, but the Rainbow pulled it right up. I didn't like that I couldn't negotiate the price, but we bought it anyway.

I have had it for 5 years now and it works great. We did some renovations in the house and the dust was unbearable. I turned the Rainbow on high, and after 3 hours the entire room over 300 sq ft. was free of dust. Even cleaning our dogs' room is easier since it picks up all the dog hair and since we can add fragrance to the water basin, it leaves the room smelling fresh with no trace of dog scent. When I think my children are getting sick, I can add the eucalyptus or the fresh air deodorizer to the water basin and let it run on low all day. It purified the air and helps eliminate germs that cause a cold. The eucalyptus scent is great for my sinuses.

I admit it is sort of heavy going upstairs, but the cord is so long, you can leave it below the stairs and still vacuum the whole staircase only moving it when you need to. Most times I just dump the water downstairs and refill it upstairs since the water makes it heavy. I like how I can fluff and refresh pillows with the bag that comes with it. If you refer them to other families, you will get a free attachment with every verified referral. I use a RainMate (a free gift) in 4 rooms to keep them smelling fresh. We were given the choice of a RainMate or a 3 day vacation. We chose the RainMate. I got 2 free, but I bought the other 2.

The Rainbow has a great warranty on parts as well. I've used the warranty to have it serviced for free and repair small things that broke from overuse. I vacuum every day, and I'm not so gentle with it every time. My only complaint over time is I wish Rainbow would make an upright. I still hate pulling the canister behind me. I bought this in 2013 and it's never lost suction.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

My wife “won” a free color changing air purifier from the Phoenix home and garden show, so they called to set up a time to drop her “free” gift but she had to sit through a hour presentation on Rainbow vacuums. After reading reviews I was nope not this house not going to get a $5,000 sale on us. So when he came in he noticed I was a Purple Heart vet and tried to make a connection with the military. As a seasoned infantrymen I already had my mind set that we would not purchase one. So he came in and started his whole spill about this being the best thing since sliced bread.

When I asked if this was the best thing since sliced bread why doesn’t the military use it in their barracks or offices and he goes on with his spill that this is so good they don’t go after the military because they can’t get a military contract. Finally he tells me that it’s Scientific proven that this will clean my air, so I asked to see this “scientific”. He takes the rainbow out of the box and shows me a small square on the box.

Finally done hearing the spill I say, "Sir let me ask you this. If I spent 8 years in the infantry serving for a country I love and the army tried to get me to re-enlist and couldn’t get me to do, what are you going to do to convince me to purchase a rainbow vacuum.” That’s when he jumped up and packed up as fast as he came in with his used car salesmen attitude. Leaving my wife with this one question, he left her air purifier but didn’t explain Anything about it. She also kinda bummed y’all. Didn’t clean our carpet. Anyways the question she has is where can she purchase the oils for this free Air purifier that we received from you guys? Again thanks for the free gift. Sorry about embarrassing your salesmen.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

My first Rainbow was purchased at a yard sale as an antique and still worked. A 1932 model. My wife and I bought our first when our son developed asthma. On our third one now made in the late 90's. Love it. No dust, no messy bags or filters. Must remember to remove top in order to protect motor. Empty regular and clean separator every third use and it will last a long time. However, the newer ones have been retooled due to patent loss or something. Not even close to the same machine. Too bad it was never sold in stores. Try the pawn shops and remember all motors can be rebuilt!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

We purchased a Rainbow almost 2 years ago and, as of yet have been unable to assemble myself. My husband does the vacuuming now. I'm 72 and he's 74, a simple job has turned into an ordeal, therefore we're not cleaning as often as we should. I've been in the hospital with the horrible flu and he also has it so I'm trying to clean and disinfect before he gets home. I'm sweating so bad that I almost blacked out and no matter how much twisting and turning and trying to adjust, I can't get it together. If you can't make the machine user friendly, you should stop selling. It cleans well and disgusts me the crap that comes out but it doesn't do any good if I can't use it.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

DO NOT BUY. Beware. Do not buy a Rainbow system. Salesman are extremely pushy, and will basically do anything to force you to buy this product. We have hardwood floors upstairs, the rainbow does not work on hardwood. I get more dirt sweeping with a regular broom than I do with the Rainbow Vacuum. My Dyson vacuum also worked better on carpet than this vacuum does, but when I purchased this they took my Dyson, so now we’re stuck. We tried to take the Rainbow back but they told us we didn’t want to take it back, and they would send someone out to show us how to use it. REALLY??? I know how to use a vacuum, and this one sucks. Please be better than me, save your money and your dignity, and don’t buy this product. I guarantee you won’t be satisfied. Guarantee it.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I did the demo program with Rainbow, it was really simple, 12 demos in 6 months, 2 had to be A-line sales and I had to do the first 6 in the first 45 days of my purchase. I did the whole program in less than a month and got my $2800 reimbursement check, I even did a 13th demo which was a sale and got an extra $1000. There are guidelines to follow, which why wouldn't there be? They're giving you almost $10,000 worth of product for free, but as long as you read the paperwork and have a dealer who explains it very thoroughly to you there's nothing to fret. It's still super easy and possible to do.

I have several friends and see people on Facebook in my area who have also done the program and gotten their reimbursement check. I'm sure somewhere along the way there's been a few dealers who didn't thoroughly explain the program who maybe were just trying to get a sale or new and wasn't trained properly but like I said as long as you read the paperwork they give you you'll know all you need to know, and even then it's not difficult, they just don't want you taking them to crappy run-down houses or to people who finance stuff and don't pay their bills.

I love the program and I love that I was able to get such an amazing machine for free, it's truly changed our lives and even if I had to pay that $2800 for a Rainbow it's absolutely worth it. I live in Southern Alabama, I know out of 110 different countries that sell the Rainbow only 3 regions offer this program, Atlanta area, Pensacola, Fl., Mobile, Al.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

The program explains you need 12 qualifying couples to show the product to in a 12 month period. If you complete the program in 90 days there are extra incentives. Part of the program is to sell at least 2 units and once completed if you show to a 13th customer and they purchase you received a bonus check. The unit cost $3290, with the trade of your old vacuum the unit is $2780. If you complete the program the unit is paid for with a check at the very end of the completed program.

With the completion of the 13th show and sale there is an additional $1360 check they will send. Here is the problem, the program has several problems within. They cannot keep up with the appointments so they put you on standby to keep them from having to give you the show since they couldn't meet the requirement. They tell you in the beginning all you have to do is make the appointments and be there during the shows but they fail to share if they keep placing you on standby that your clock's keep ticking.

They fail to tell you that if they decide to not use your qualifying show there is no dispute or customer service forum to prove your show was qualifying - it's your word against theirs or the salesman. The unit they sell travels from home to home until it is sold, so it is not a new unit nor is it a clean unit. They clean each home they walk into with that unit until it is sold but you pay the full price for it. If they tell you it's hassle free, don't believe it. They stay in your home on average for 3 to 5 hours practically begging you to take this machine and if you don't sarcasm begins. Free and gifts are used as the marketing strategy to get in. Once they got you, you are a nonfactor, it's on to the next.

You only talk to a salesperson who has no authority. Customer service only emails you. They never talk to you directly, but when it's time to pay for the unit they are quick to get you on the phone with the bank or finance company. I have shown 15 and sold 7. I am the only one I know to have completed the program but I have yet to receive my 13th check for $1360. The plan is to make you feel your house is so nasty yet homes are built every day without a single word regarding the dust and dirt we live around day in and day out. Be careful with this company.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

We got a phone call saying we won in a drawing a small air purifier. So the lady scheduled a appointment to come to our house and deliver it. I said, "I don't want to buy anything," she said, "All we ask is word of mouth. Tell your friends and family if you like the air purifier." I said, "Ok." Friday a man comes and showed us all about the big air purifier. "We didn't buy anything," I said. "Where is the free one?" Well how confident he didn't have one. I called the lady and asked about getting the free one. She said, "I will have that department call you." Never a call back of course. So anyway I think they lie and also used my time and because we didn't buy anything I guess that means we don't get a purifier that supposedly I won. I would never do business with them. As for word of mouth I definitely tell people not to buy anything from Rainbow.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

First off I want to say it works great on carpet but we plan on taking all the carpet out of the house and putting down hardwood floors. We told the sales guy this. He told us that the Rainbow works great on hardwood floors and you don't have to use a broom ever again. You won't have to worry about bending over and using the dustpan??? Yea right. So I go to clean a few days later and I use the long head like he recommended. It got all the dog hair up (I have 2 large dogs and 5 cats, we live in the country in a big house, along with 2 children) so I clean every day. But this was the 1st time I was trying the vacuum on the kitchen floor. It was a fail. I decided to go back and sweep to see what all it missed. I swept up all kinds of dirt and crumbs the kids and dropped in my floor.

So I call the sales guy and he tells me it's past my 3 days but it sounds like there is something wrong with my vacuum. He is coming out to "fix" the problem. It also doesn't clean beside the walls like they said it will. I have to pull the hose out to use it. I just want my bagless vacuum back. It is much lighter and with me having to vacuum every day with a husky in the house it is so much easier. So if you have a husky I don't recommend you get this vacuum cleaner or if you like to clean in your house shoes because you can't step on all the buttons to lift the product off the stands. This vacuum is also very heavy if you have more than one floor or a split level house.

When I said something about that they said, "Well you can always get another vacuum to put upstairs." I just laughed at the girl and said, "Yes I want to put a $3000 vacuum cleaner in the toy room bc I have an extra $3000 laying around." She then told me I could always sale the vacuum to get one free and I laughed again and told her that I don't even like people little off go to their house and talk to them for 3hrs at a time and sale them something I think is a POS. She was not happy with my response. I really just want to return the vacuum cleaner I haven't made any payments but they won't take it back at all and told me I was out of luck.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I attended a neighborhood street fair where I submitted an entry to a raffle for a free water fragrance machine. I should have known something was wrong when they asked if I owned my home. Two days after the fair I received a call stating I had won a machine and they wanted to schedule a time to drop off the machine and show me how to set it up. The woman stated they also wanted to show me the rainbow machine while they were at my home. I asked how long would it take and I was told an hour so I agreed. My mistake--I thought the "rainbow" was a fancier water scent machine.

The sales rep came, she appeared nice at first. She gave the free machine and demonstrated different scents. Once she was done she brought out the rainbow and at first she demonstrated it as a air purifier before she showed me it was a vacuum cleaner. I asked the price. I was told $3,000. I informed her a $3,000 vacuum was not in my budget. She tried to convince me I could earn enough money to pay for my machine. When I told her I don't like sales, she said they don't sale they demonstrate (lol!).

You know just people helping people. I told her we needed to wrap it because I had something to do, but she persisted. I told her if I wanted one I would just buy one on the secondary market from someone who regretted buying it. She stated that Rainbow would NOT repair the machine if I was not the original registered owner linked to the machine's Serial Number. So I just left her downstairs while I went upstairs to change clothes and do my hair. She finally got the hint and left.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I had attended a craft show at a church. The guy talked me into entering for a free "new" rain air purifier. Said it was completely free. Called me later and said my name had been drawn out, and we had won the free air purifier. He set up a time with us to come "set it up." I told him multiple times we were not buying anything, he insisted it was free, won as a prize. Well he shows up with a freaking vacuum cleaner! Took 2.5 hours to present, we said no, offered free financing for 48 months, we said no, offered free attachments, we said no. Very difficult to get him to leave. We had kids hungry for dinner and needing to get in bed for school, he still wouldn't leave! And he demonstrated the "carpet cleaner" and left our carpet wet! Just beware if you see a contest for a free air purifier!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I purchase the Rainbow Vacuum on October 8, against that little voice in my head saying "No, don't do this." On October 22, I called the sales representative that persisted we needed this system in our home, and told her how I was unhappy with the air quality and suction. She said "You only get a 3 day return policy, you cannot return it now." I was dumbfounded. I went back to my contract. I reread it over and over again. Only 3 days to determine whether or not I like a machine that suppose to help clean my home better?!

I called the distribution center the next business day. The woman I spoke to was incredibly rude and told me I "had to deal with it now." This machine doesn't purify the air like it's advertised. The suction can't keep up with the amount of pet hair in my home. It has to be thoroughly cleaned in the middle of cleaning one room in my home. My old vacuum never gave me that trouble. It's very heavy. You don't get all of the attractments all at once. You have to do shows in order to get the other pieces. It has doubled my cleaning time, when I'd rather be spending time with my family. This has been the biggest mistake I have ever made.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Pushed to buy the Rainbow vacuum system. They promised to help us sell enough to pay for it through the go for it program. Left us high and dry, even after multiple calls to higher ups to try to solve the problem. Still did not get demos to try to sell more. Good system crappy representation.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I'm seeing a lot of complaints so I want to take time to share why we love our Rainbow!! We bought it in 2011 from a friend who signed up to sell to earn her own Rainbow for free. We had to take out a loan to pay for it, but we paid it off a few years later. It was a great investment and we use it daily with three small kids and a dog. Our dog did chew up some of the pieces (twice) so we had to replace those. Once we had the whole thing cleaned inside and out. It was perfect and like new. Nothing beats opening the water basin and seeing all the nasty dust, dirt, hair, etc. it collected!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I purchased this awesome machine nearly 2 years ago. My son has severe asthma and since I got this he hasn't had any breathing issues, his inhaler goes untouched, his nebulizer collects dust in the closet. I like that when I'm done I dump the water and rinse the bowl. I never have to worry about canisters and bags. I wasn't a fan of the scents, didn't really find them to work all that great. Also never received the free gift for referring 3 demos but whatever.

I purchased it through their financing department. I had a mix up with my bank and ended up missing a payment, the people called to make sure everything was OK and how long I'd need to make up the payment. Super helpful, understanding and the best part, it's technically a loan so every payment gets reported on my credit. So clean air and building up that score! I don't know what everyone is complaining about. It's not bulky or particularly heavy. It isn't any heavier than a traditional vacuum, it's not an upright so of course it's going to be slightly different to get upstairs but don't be a ** about it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I have had a Rainbow since early 90s and although it is getting tired and parts are needing repair it still outperforms the Dyson I recently purchased. Yes the Rainbow is cumbersome and vacuuming is a chore and Dyson is easier, the claim wet dust can't fly is so true. It's gross to empty a dusty, dirty Dyson and still have dust all over the place. With the Rainbow you see the dirty water and it drains and you know your house is clean. Using attachments for surfaces or walls is terrific and a breeze. The hoses are easy to use and this is the best piece of equipment I have ever owned for my house. I will be taking it for service soon but hope to have it for a long time.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I will share my experience with Rainbow vacuum demonstration. So this goes back 6 years or so, my friend bought a Rainbow (crazy him) and like everyone know to get some free gadgets you have to give people's names for a demo. I accepted, the guy came to our just bought house, a old house from the 16 century which was abandoned for some years. We had done some work but there was still work needed. At the time we had a super old vacuum which was garbage but couldn't afford a new one at the moment. So the sale guy asked to see it and immediately took advantage of that, showed us how much dust our vacuum was letting out and how much it left around. We were shocked!!! Especially because my wife was 8 month pregnant. He started saying that this is unhealthy and that kids might have respiratory problems etc...

After about 1 hour of presentation he asked what we thought and we were impressed, so he started talking about prices and there again we were more than shocked!!! Having just bought a house, renovated part of it and knowing we still had to do work on it spending 3k+ on a vacuum was out of our budget. The salesman didn't want to hear it. He kept pressuring us how important air quality is and making us feel like we didn't care for ourself and our kids' health. So in a situation of not knowing what to do I called my mom and asked her opinion, she raised 4 kids and did a hell of a job she should know if this is a BS vacuum or not. She told me years earlier she was also introduced to something similar and she said "Yes it's good, but do you need it? How is your health? Do you have problems? No, you grew up with an old vacuum cleaner to clean your house and you're as healthy as you can be."

After hearing that I put my heart at peace and said NO. The guy wasn't too happy and kept insisting on ways to get it through credit/rates and we just stood by our NO. After a while he finally got it and left. Never have I had so much pressure on me to buy something... Why am I writing this review? Because our vacuum is dying and I decided to see how the super famous vacuums are doing. To my surprise they cost even more than they did 6 years ago, so I Googled to see what the big deal is, and after reading some comments I decided to leave this negative comment just for the fact that they pressure you into buying it making it seem like if you don't buy it you don't care for your family.

If we would have bought that vacuum cleaner that day we might have lost our house (no joke). Unfortunately the year after the presentation I had to accept a job which gave a much lower pay that I had at the moment, and I most likely would have had credit problems. I thank my mom for making me think thing through. If I was rich yes I would buy it because it is a great product, but the pressure to get yourself in debt for a VACUUM CLEANER is way too much! So if you are here looking to buy one listen to this. If you have the money and that 4k+ won't put you in a bad financial situation go for it, if you don't have the money let it go. It's not worth eating bread and water for 1 year for a vacuum cleaner.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

This is the worst program ever. It is very fake. And the employees are beyond horrible in Western NC. We were under the impression at our first show when we purchased no $ would be paid until our 12 shows were done. I trusted our dealer so I didn't read all the fine print which I guess that's on me. We were told no $ until 180 days and nobody told us about the finance charge. Or half the qualifications of the shows. Or I would have never done or signed up for any of this. We were lied to! Just to make a sale! Then one of their reps Joy came out treated me and my family member horribly at a show. She got furious when they chose not to buy. Pulled me aside and trash talked my family for not buying.

So now for being too trustworthy. I have a machine I can't afford. They refuse to let me turn back in and I am officially stuck with it. Great machine works great at that. But wished I hadn't been lied to and our kindness hadn't of been turned around to bite us! I would not recommend anyone to sign up for this program. It's not as it seems.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I am writing a review to express my concern about the sales practices and price of Rainbow Vacuum/Rexair in our area, and to register my upset about being high pressured into a deal. These people send salespersons door to door, start a conversation to find something in common such as our concern about air quality. The Rainbow Vacuum/Rexair is extremely expensive. It is something I would never willingly spend $5,613.00 on. But I can tell you we had a 1st class high pressure job from this salesman, as he would NOT take no for an answer, it seemed to only ratchet up his resolve to sell to us.

He had a pat answer for everything, making it sound like if we didn't purchase it, we didn't care about our family's health. He had a high power lamp he used to beat on the fabric love seat to raise some dust particles, show the lamp on it and say "SEE, that's unhealthy!" Despite my telling "Mr. **" that we really could NOT afford this vacuum because of ongoing surgeries I had to have, plus being on a fixed income, he continued to high pressure us to purchase it. We told him we wanted to think about it, but this spurred him on to greater high pressure tactics as if it were a challenge: "This was a ONE TIME DEAL and when I walk out the door the deal opportunity walks out with me."

He continued to high pressure us until we capitulated. Then he set us up with their credit provider, Preferred Credit, which seems to be a Kirby subsidiary. What seemed to start out at about $2,700.00 ended up becoming $5,613.00 total with all the added on fees! This reeks of predatory lending. I have excellent credit, over an 800 score, but this credit company had a huge percentage tagged onto their "convenient" offer.

It was NOT a good deal at all for us. I had a panic attack and vertigo after signing for this Rainbow Vacuum Preferred Credit agreement. Due to the recent Experian data breach, I signed up for a credit monitoring program. When I reviewed the report, I came across the Preferred Credit deal and was reminded to follow up about the situation. We were too upset to deal with it at the time, which was January 2016. "Mr. **: ALSO TOOK OUR ONLY VACUUM CLEANER, the lightweight DYSON that we could both move around. We had to go out and buy another vacuum cleaner when we tried to use the Rainbow Vacuum, and found it was too cumbersome and heavy to move easily.

I was so upset about being taken advantage of, it took me a week or so to contact this salesman back and tell him we needed to cancel the deal. Of course he couldn't do that. It put us in a terrible financial position regarding my surgery and need to get a newer vehicle. That resource was tied up in this Rainbow Vacuum deal. "Mr. **" said he didn't want to take food out of people's mouths or put them in dire straits.

I told him it absolutely did, and yet he didn't try to rectify it. Instead this was followed up by telling us we could "earn" our way out of debt by taking his training and selling 5 vacuums to get ours "free." I used a Home Equity line of credit to pay off Preferred Credit right away, but it sure didn't translate to any savings on the whole deal. Those fees all came out of the front end!

We now have an expensive paperweight that cost us over $5,600. We don't really use it because it is too big, unwieldy, and heavy for a couple of women in their late 60's. Both of us have serious knee injuries, wear knee braces, and get injections periodically to help stay mobile. Carrying something this heavy and unwieldy puts too much pressure on our knees. The more weight we carry, the more it grinds the bone on bone knee problem.

Even though my sister and I are both in our late 60's, we forced ourselves to do the training to recoup my surgery money. I was really appalled at all the "tricks of the trade" we were being taught to counter any customer concerns or balking at doing the deal. Even if they really couldn't afford it and said so, we were supposed to use every high pressure tactic we could including the "time pressure" deal "you don't care about your family's health" argument, and showing ALL the dust by whacking the bright light on the furniture to highlight particles flying up in that industrial grade bright light. We decided we couldn't in all good conscience put anyone else in the same position. It’s like pyramid marketing. You have to keep hooking other people to dig yourself out.

I feel sorry for all of his other "salespeople" that are desperately trying to recoup their own purchase by selling for him. The salesman: also wrote a glowing Google review for his own business! Their office is in South Lakewood, Colorado. He told us he was one of the most highly successful salespeople and got lots of awards. I see how that happened. Be forewarned! Beware salesmen going door to door. If they tell you their special deal walks out with them, let them. As former activists, we are pretty savvy people, and we still got sucked into this one.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I bought a Rainbow vacuum system about a year ago. A sales person came to my home with a "supped-up" presentation. To my regret, we purchased a system with the expectation we were purchasing a quality product consistent with the price. It never performed up to the expectations of a machine that cost so much money. Too heavy for practical use. Entirely too expensive. The fragrance feature can be accomplished with cheap potpourri. The hose came a loose from the machine. Poor customer service. You can purchase a quality vacuum cleaner for less than half of the cost of this Rainbow unit.

Rainbow Vacuum expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Rainbow vacuums are manufactured by Rexair LLC, an American company founded in 1932. Rexair rebranded its vacuums as Rainbow in the 1950s and continues to use the name.

• Water washing: Rainbow vacuums use water to clean floors naturally.

• Available attachments: Owners can add attachments for cleaning refrigerator coils, upholstery and small spaces.

• Fewer pollutants: Rainbow vacuums are certified by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers to remove pollutants from the air.

• Parts and supplies: Consumers can purchase parts and supplies from Rainbow's website.

• Worldwide distribution: Rainbow partners with distributors all over the world to make buying its vacuums more convenient.

• Best for: Rainbow vacuums are good options for homeowners, renters and landlords who want clean, attractive floors.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Rainbow Vacuum Company Information

50 West Big Beaver, Suite 350

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Let's talk

ConsumerAffairs ranks 562 on Inc. 5000 for 2017

Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.

The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.