American Standard vs. AmeriGlide
What is the difference between American Standard and AmeriGlide?
American Standard and AmeriGlide both provide middle-of-the-line walk-in tub options. While American Standard prides itself on creating eco-friendly products for older adults, AmerGlide’s main focus is on accessibility and affordability for people with disabilities.
You can customize a walk-in tub from American Standard with luxury features like chromotherapy and a hand-held showerhead, and AmeriGlide walk-in tubs come with the features necessary to a safe and comfortable bathing environment for those with limited mobility.
- American Standard is best for customers who require minimal customer support. Customers rave about the quick installation process and excellent service technicians, but many find the follow-up support to be less than ideal.
- AmeriGlide is best for people with disabilities and limited mobility who need a standard walk-in tub. Tubs come in four styles, including soaker, air therapy, hydrotherapy and dual therapy options. They can also be customized with chromotherapy, aromatherapy or an auto drain.
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.7||2.4|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
|Basic tub starting price||Only available with quote||$2,493|
|In-home quotes required|
|Warranty - Labor||Limited lifetime||Not mentioned|
|Warranty - Parts||Limited lifetime||5 years for pump and motor|
|Warranty - Tub||Limited lifetime||10 years|
|Only available with quote||Included||Limited lifetime||Limited lifetime||Limited lifetime|
|$2,493||—||—||Not mentioned||5 years for pump and motor||10 years|
Available walk-in tub types
|Step-in height||3 inches||3 inches|
|Grab bars included||—|
|Number of hydro jets||22||12|
|Number of air jets||22||18|
|Heated seats option||—|
|Heated backrest option||—|
|Remote control option||—|
Services included with installation
|Bathroom door resizing|
|Old tub removal|
|Wall repair and repaint|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
American Standard has been making faucets, sinks, whirlpool tubs and wellness products for more than 140 years. Its focus is on making sustainable and eco-friendly products, including toilets and showers that save water. Its plumbing products can be found in hotels, airports and stadiums across the U.S., and its roster of clients includes wholesalers, showrooms, DIY centers, retail and hardware stores, specialty merchants and online retailers, as well as residential customers.
American Standard provides four lines of walk-in tubs: walk-in air baths, deep-soak tubs, combo massage tubs and walk-in whirlpool tubs. Many can be customized to include jets or chromotherapy for added therapeutic benefits. Its lines include the following products:
- Premium Series 28 x 48-inch Walk-in Tub with Air Spa System: This Premium Series tub is a walk-in air tub. It’s made from gelcoat and includes a grab bar on the inside of the tub, a neck rest and push-control buttons. It includes the company’s patented Quick Drain, which drains the tub in 2 minutes or less. It also has an extensive warranty – the shell is covered for 10 years, the components are covered for five years, and the door seal is covered under a lifetime warranty.
- Luxury Series 28 x 48-inch Soaking Walk-in Tub: The Luxury Series Soaking Walk-in Tub is ideal for individuals who need a versatile tub — the smaller size makes it easy to fit into tight spaces, but it can also be turned into a 60-inch tub with the extender kit. Similar to Premium Series tubs, this soaking tub comes with a neck rest, safety grab bar and patented Quick Drain tech, but it has acrylic rather than gel coating. It also includes an additional five-year warranty — the shell comes with a 15-year warranty, and the components come with a 10-year warranty.
- Luxury Series 30 x 51-inch Walk-in Tub with Whirlpool System: American Standard’s Luxury Series whirlpool comes at a higher price because of its “Ozone Self-Cleaning Sanitation System,” which cleans and disinfects the water while in use. Its massage system offers the choice between a full-body or leg-only massage. The acrylic shell is covered for 15 years under the warranty; the components are covered for 10 years.
What American Standard customers say
Reviews for American Standard tubs are largely positive, particularly when it comes to customer service and tub installation. Pleased customers also mention the ease of getting in and out of the tub and that they feel safe while doing so. However, there are some complaints about customer service and negative experiences with installers. Some reviewers also had difficulty operating the door handle.
AmeriGlide is well-known for its line of accessibility and mobility products, which include stair lifts, mobility scooters and walk-in tubs. Its distributor program works with independent businesses and store locations throughout the U.S. to provide its customers with a wide range of accommodation options for the home and office.
AmeriGlide’s walk-in tubs are designed with Marine-grade materials and housed in stainless steel frames. The anti-slip surface makes it safe for people whose main concern is mobility, and the doors are designed to seal to prevent leaks while in use. The company offers 15 different models, including small and medium shower enclosures, walk-in tubs and a wheelchair-accessible walk-in tub:
- Sanctuary Full Bather Walk-in Tub: This tub comes with a fiberglass shell and a 17-inch seat that’s in alignment with ADA standards. Its size makes it ideal for both spaces that already have a standard bathtub and where a walk-in tub will be newly installed. The Sanctuary Full Bather also includes a 3-inch step-in height, making it easy for people with limited mobility to get in and out of the tub.
- Sanctuary Petite Easy Soak Walk-in Tub: Constructed with an acrylic shell, the Sanctuary Petite Easy Soak is 27 inches wide and 38.5 inches long – making it a space-saver for small bathrooms. The tub can be customized to include air jets, water jets or dual water and air jets. A headrest is also included.
- Sanctuary Large Wheelchair Access Walk-in Tub: With a width of 30 inches and a length of 60 inches, this wheelchair-accessible tub is just slightly smaller than AmeriGlide’s largest tub. It comes with an outward-swinging door and a step-in height of 13.5 inches for easy transfer from a wheelchair or other mobility instrument.
What AmeriGlide customers say
Reviewers of Ameriglide’s mobility equipment give the company average ratings overall. Some reviewers called out substandard equipment, while others praised the professional and knowledgeable installers. As of publishing, most reviewers on our site felt pleased with the products, with many noting how inexpensive they are comparatively. Others mentioned being frustrated with the lack of customer service when a problem did arise, however.
Bottom line: American Standard or AmeriGlide?
Customers looking for a wider selection of walk-in tubs and customizations might prefer American Standard, but those looking for a simple solution for their home or bathroom will appreciate AmeriGlide’s streamlined selection. American Standard offers extensive warranties, including a lifetime warranty on its walk-in tub door seals, and AmeriGlide offers financing through Cross River Bank, making it a budget-friendly option for shoppers.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.