formerly Profile by Sanford

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Profile Plan

Profile Plan is a health and nutrition program combining customized meal plans with weekly, one-on-one coaching to help you lose weight. It was developed by researchers and doctors at Sanford Health. The program is available across the U.S., with costs varying by location and personal goals. You can schedule a free consultation to find out if Profile Plan is a good fit for your needs, body and lifestyle.

Pros

• Personalized plans
  • Virtual and in-person coaching
  • Multifunctional Journey app
  • 15% weight-loss guarantee

Cons

• Limited in-person coaching
  • Nonrefundable membership

Bottom Line

Profile Plan is a weight loss program featuring a personalized nutrition plan and one-on-one coaching. Members lose one to three pounds per week, on average. You can start with a free consultation to go over goals and fit.

What is Profile Plan?

Profile Plan, previously known as Profile by Sanford, is a weight loss and nutrition program started in 2011 by doctors and researchers at Sanford Health, one of the largest health care systems in the U.S. It's designed to make weight loss simple and sustainable, combining a custom meal plan with weekly one-on-one coaching. Diets include both Profile Plan foods and items you buy at the grocery store.

Profile Plan says its members lose an average of one to three pounds per week, with immediate results. The company promises you’ll lose 15% of your body weight or more in the first year. It’s open virtually to people from all 50 states — though in-person coaching is only available in 32 states at the time of publishing.

How does Profile Plan work?

Profile Plan pairs one-on-one, weekly health and lifestyle coaching with a personalized nutrition plan that includes both Profile Plan foods and food you buy at a grocery store. The coaching is either virtual (video or phone) or in person, depending on where you live and your preference. You also have access to:

• The Profile Plan app, Journey, which lets you schedule coaching, set reminders, track progress and send real-time updates to your coach
  • 3D body scans with over 30 body measurements and reporting (in select locations)
  • A smart scale for measuring weight, body mass index, body fat, bone mass and more
  • Journey Mapping, a lesson plan for nutrition, activity and lifestyle
  • A member support group

Profile Plan offers a no-obligation, free consultation with an enrollment specialist to determine if it’s a good fit for you.

Profile plans

Profile Plan has more than 200 different weight loss plans and customizes a plan for each member. All plans come with:

• One-on-one health coaching
  • A personalized weight loss plan
  • Access to the Journey app
  • Smart scale integration
  • 3D body scans (in select locations)
  • Weekly behavior change lessons
  • Support group access

Examples of the plans Profile Plan offers include:

Rebook is Profile’s most popular plan (85% of members). Its goal is to jump-start your metabolism, with a mix of grocery foods and Profile Plan meal replacements, like bars and shakes. As you get closer to your weight loss goal, you shift more toward groceries.
Balance is for people with certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease and kidney disease. It’s a nonketogenic plan that helps you lose weight safely.
This plan is specifically for men — including busy men who need a weight loss plan that’s convenient. It includes on-the-go protein shakes and a customized workout routine for burning fat, building muscle and boosting energy.
This plan is for women who are planning to have a baby or are currently pregnant, focusing on healthy nutrition and getting all the vitamins needed while safely losing weight. It comes with an interactive workbook with tips for a healthy pregnancy and Nurture shakes made to support you and your baby’s development. You also can encourage and get support from others in the online community.
Perform is for athletes and others who lead a highly active lifestyle. It includes pre- and post-workout drink mixes. Your coach puts together an activity plan for weight loss. Perform can be combined with Reboot.
If you’ve recently reached your weight loss goal or just need a plan to stay healthy, Sustain is an option. One-on-one coaching gives you advice on keeping weight off and holds you accountable for staying active.
This plan is for people who are almost at their weight goal. It helps you transition from healthy weight loss to sustainable weight management. The plan includes DNA testing to ensure you’re following a meal plan that works with your metabolism.

Profile Plan also includes a promise that you’ll lose at least 15% of your body weight (or a lower agreed-upon amount) in the first year, or the company will extend your membership by another 12 months at no charge.

Profile Plan cost

Membership cost with Profile Plan is based on your location and your goals, according to the company. At the time of publishing, Profile Plan offers a free, no-obligation consultation. It also offers a two-week trial with all plan benefits for $49.

When you join Profile Plan, you can choose monthly or annual payment. Profile Plan works with some insurance companies to reduce or cover the cost of membership; you can check with your insurer or contact Profile Plan for more information. You may also be able to use your health savings account or flexible spending account to pay for Profile Plan.

Profile Plan FAQ

How much weight can you lose with Profile?
Weight loss varies by person, but Profile Plan says members typically lose one to three pounds per week. The company promises you’ll lose at least 15% of your body weight (or a lesser agreed-upon amount) in the first year.
Is Profile covered by insurance?
Profile Plan has partnerships with multiple insurance companies to lower or cover membership costs. To find out your eligibility, you’ll need to contact your local Profile Plan or talk to your insurer.
Where is Profile available?
You can join Profile Plan from anywhere in the U.S. and get virtual coaching. Profile Plan also has 95 locations across the country, including in 32 states:
  • Alabama
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
Is Profile pregnancy- and breastfeeding-safe?
Profile Plan is pregnancy- and breastfeeding-safe, according to the company. It has a program specifically designed by doctors and dieticians for members at every stage of pregnancy.

Is Profile Plan worth it?

Profile Plan is worth considering if you want to lose weight. The company emphasizes one-on-one coaching along with a custom meal plan. It’s available to people in all 50 states, but in-person coaching is only possible in select areas. We recommend speaking to your doctor first about Profile Plan and then contacting the company for a free consultation, which gives you an opportunity to ask about which program is right for you and the cost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Profile Plan?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Profile Plan?

Original review: July 19, 2022

When I went on this program in August of '19, I was 360 some pounds. And by the end of the calendar year, I had gotten down to as low as 277. I hadn't been that light since probably some time my junior year in college. With Profile, I learned how to enjoy vegetables for the first time in my life. Now, I really enjoy having them every meal. The coaches are generally pretty knowledgeable. I’ve been on the program now for coming up on three years this month and I had tremendous success in the first six months. If you follow Profile Plan's plan, you’ll lose about 2 to 2.5 pounds a week literally doing nothing other than getting up, going to work, and not even walking any extra. If you would super charge that and start walking more, about every 45,000 steps that you take, you burn an extra pound.

I'm not gonna say that Profile was like the silver elixir in life, because it's not. It’s a supercharged super elixir. You can totally do what Profile does if you want to do it the hard way and the slow way. If a person wants to change their eating habits and increase their exercise, bottom line, that's what Profile does. But if you can follow these fairly strict rules, in my opinion, and when I say strict, strict to the extent that there are just things you can't do period, if you follow those rules, the weight loss accelerates. Because they've got you in this ketosis type burning, which is very slow, so your body doesn’t stress, and at the same time, you can burn faster and longer. And so, it’s not like you really have to do anything.

In the first six months of the program, I was 20 pounds lower than I am right now. So I'm a backslider. COVID hit, and COVID hasn't been kind to anybody. It certainly made a lot of personal choices very difficult when you're locked in in the same place for two years and can't go anywhere or do anything. It totally threw me off track. But I realized that the issue with Profile is not that their program doesn’t work, it’s that it doesn’t work if you don’t stick to it and don’t do your end of the commitment, i.e., follow through with those choices. So that’s where I’m back at. I recommitted myself last week to starting it and I’m already down almost 10 pounds.

Profile Plan response

Joe, thank you for the review. We really appreciate your kind words and are thrilled to hear you have recommitted yourself. Whether you're on day one or 3 years into your weight loss journey, it is important to take the time to smile at yourself in the mirror and appreciate the progress you've made. No matter the rollercoaster, you should be SO proud of yourself, especially for taking this big step of recommitting. Thank you for letting us continue to be apart of your journey!

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2022

I made an appointment and talked to Miss Ellen at Profile Plan. She asked me to try the plan for two weeks and see what would happen. During the first two weeks, I lost 10 pounds then I kept steadily losing two pounds after that. I found with Miss Ellen that I cannot eat carbohydrates. She gave me some charts and every time we went and I talked to Miss Ellen, she discussed with me. As long as I stick to my protein, my four cups of vegetables and drink the water I'm supposed to, the weight will steadily come off. I went to my endocrinologist and he said I've lost 40.

The most important thing I learned in the first two weeks was I should have been having something at 7:00, having something at 10:00, and a real lunch. Not one of their lunches, but one of my lunches. For dinner, I have one of my lunches then I usually do one of their desserts. They have a cheesecake and a lava cake, and I love the jello. I recommended Profile Plan to my friends. After I did it, I gave my daughter two weeks. She’s the same way as me. She cannot have carbs and this and that. She lost 30 pounds as well.

Profile Plan response

Hello Lisa! I'm glad your coach, Miss Ellen, at Profile Plan was so helpful in your health and weight loss journey. We love that you found success and that we were able to be a part of it. We wish you a happy and healthy day!

Original review: April 25, 2022

Profile Plan is a great thing. What attracted me to it was that you had these weigh-ins and you had the scale that could read how you were doing. That would be a great incentive to losing weight. I enjoyed talking to my health coach every month. I'm now on my third one and I realized that I have issues. I am not always following the way I should and if I only did that, I would have lost a lot of weight. When I did follow it, I lost weight and I felt so much better.

Profile Plan has made me very aware of what I'm doing, what I should be doing, and what I shouldn't be doing. The nutritional plan is very good but I don't generally consult it. It can't help me if I'm not looking at it. Other than that profile Plan is excellent. It's a really health-oriented plan which tries to help you with behavioral issues so that you will lose the weight you need and it provides products that can help you do that if you use them on a disciplined basis.

Profile Plan response

Hi Lois! I'm happy to hear all of the great things that you have to say about Profile. Have a great day!

Original review: April 24, 2022

Profile Plan is a great program and I enjoy it. My support is amazing. The staff is wonderful and they become like family. They're very helpful and encouraging. This program works for me and I've lost 60 pounds. I need the structure and there's that in terms of the plan of what to eat and what I'm being told. I was alone and I had to do something for myself. The staff at Profile in Springboro, Ohio encourage me with my confidence. Don't give up on yourself and know that you're worth it all. I'm trying to get to 125 and I have five more pounds. It's a struggle. My body seems not to want to let go of that. But they've been very encouraging with my goal.

I like the beginning where I was doing the bar shakes because it was easy. With my job, I needed that. It's already there and I just grab it. I don't have to think. I looked forward to my chocolate marshmallow bar and my oatmeal raisin cookie bar. I love my caramel shake and my coffee. That’s stuff I've become accustomed to and that's what I like. I love the salted caramel shake in my coffee in the morning and on Sundays, I splurge. I have the caramel shake in my coffee with a little bit of half and half and that is delicious. That’s my treat. Starting to go back into the office is harder. You have to get your water in.

I have mentioned this program to a lot of my friends. But with the finances, things are out of control right now. The program is a little pricey but it was worth it. It was a time in my life I needed to do something for myself. The pricing of the shipping is high but it can't be helped with everything else in the economy right now. It’s hard and I have to cut back. But that's okay.

Profile Plan response

Hi Lisa! I'm so happy to hear that you are enjoying Profile Plan, and have had an amazing support system. Congratulations on your recent weight loss! We love that we get to be a part of your health and weight loss journey. Have a great day!

Original review: March 18, 2022

Profile Plan is amazing. It was like magic. My coach is brilliant though I was skeptical at first because she was young. But she knew the science of nutrition versus saying not to eat too many calories. It was more of a scientific breakdown of when you do this, this happens. And so, when she explained that to me, it made a lot of sense. She gave me a diet plan and I started on it. Within a month, I must have been down 25 pounds in 30 days and from there, I was hooked because I knew it worked.

My coach and I has a good relationship. She's extremely gifted, in that she is very knowledgeable about the actual products and how it works. She's very sympathetic to the whole idea that there are many different reasons why people gain weight. She's also fun. She takes notes but she remembers exactly what you talked about last time. You can meet with her whatever you feel you need to. I meet with her maybe once every three weeks now that I'm into the maintain phase. But initially, it was once a week. And then we went once every two weeks, and now we're about once every three weeks. Profile Plan is spendy to start. It’s a nice chunk of change that you have to put out. Honestly though, if you're going to spend this much money, you better be committed. So you are taking a full leap, not a dipping your toe into the whole idea of losing weight. You basically leap with both feet because of the cost.

I have had a couple friends who signed up based on my talking to them about it. They talk about the whole fad diet stuff and the point that I try to stress to them is that it's not a diet. You're just changing the way you eat. You're learning what it is that you're putting into your mouth and into your stomach. And because you learn that, you better understand how it hurts you when you don't eat what's good for you, which is more of a motivator for me.

Profile Plan response

Hi Carter! We are so happy to hear that your coach was educational and helpful in explaining your health and weight loss journey. Congratulations on your recent weight loss. Have a great day!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

Got close!. Basically felt good about the 70 lb loss and ran out of steam (and money) to take off that last 10 lbs to goal. Have since gained back about 20 lbs, but still down 55 from my 'high' about three years after starting the program. Thanks.

Chuck,

70lbs?! So close to your goal, but still SO amazing! You should be very proud of yourself, we are! Thank you for letting us be apart of your journey.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

It was a very positive experience with Profile Plan. Overall, the team has been good. They're keeping me on my path.

Profile Plan response

Debrah, we are glad to hear you had a positive experience with us. Thank you for letting us be apart of your health journey! We are forever Profile proud!

Original review: July 21, 2022

I can’t say enough great things about Profile. I had tried so many other programs and products and I can honestly say this is the best and it really works. I have lost 40lbs and have the skills to keep it off. I also did their MOM program when I was pregnant and was able to have a healthy pregnancy and lose all my baby weight within a month of giving birth. The coaches are amazing and the food is so good I actually miss some of it!

Profile Plan response

Christina, great job! It is one thing to lose the weight, but to feel confident enough to keep living your healthiest and sustain your weight loss is a whole other kind of success. We are so proud to hear of your accomplishments and are grateful we were able to be a part of your journey through pregnancy and after.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: July 19, 2022

Too expensive compared to other plans. Food was expensive. The “counselors” I had kept changing and in the end were inexperienced. For the price, I was hoping to get some real insight and diet help. Buying that door is not a sustainable lifelong plan.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: July 19, 2022

I love the products. There is excellent variety in the food choices and they are easy to prepare and eat. The coaching I received has been outstanding. I cannot say enough good things regarding the knowledge, skills and experience of Lindsey. The program does work. I have had tremendous success so far. As I come to the last few pounds I need to complete the program, it has been extremely frustrating because for the past several months my Profile app has not worked and I have not been able to accurately track my food and at times water intake.

I have demonstrated the issues (won’t save selections, kicks you out of app) to my coach who has made several requests to IT and they have been unable to resolve the issue. Today I was told they believed they had fixed it and asked me to update and try again. Unfortunately, no updates were available. I have deleted, redownloaded and still these issues persist. I simply cannot track my food and water intake with the Profile app. I feel bad for my coach who is trying so hard but can not get resolution.

Profile Plan Company Information