Delta Dental

Compare Dental Insurance

Research top Dental Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My employer decided to use Delta, I paid my monthly dues. I confirmed a dentist was in their system. After 10 painful office visits I discovered they billed my credit card 100% for items that should have been paid in part by Delta. This information was taken to my employer who referred it to Brown and Brown who were to address the issue with Delta. Months later I have received no reply from the dentist or Delta and the Dentist is still on their provider list.

I terminate a personal policy with Delta Dental by not paying the premium to renew the policy. I had acquired a Delta Dental policy through my employment, so they knew that I had another policy. However, they continued to demand payment and threatened me with a collection company. Hidden away in the policy is a requirement that a written letter needs to be sent to them to terminate. I believe this is VERY POOR customer service. Be careful of the scams from insurance companies.

We found that the premium to coverage ratio for our Delta Dental of Wisconsin policy was very poor at best. When I attempted to cancel the policy, I was informed that it had automatically renewed and that I was therefore obligated to pay premiums for the next year.

This has been a terrible dental insurance to work with. Poor coverage to no coverage. When my husband had all teeth removed and the best dentist to cover it was denied payment, we decided to pull his coverage. Delta dental won't allow it even though there is nothing that can be done for my husband coverage wise. We will have paid $12,000 out of pocket for his dental work and an additional no use dental coverage payment. Recently due to the expiration of our card, Delta Dental was not able to automatically withdraw our payment. I paid it online and specified on the form no automatic withdrawals allowed. Our contract is over in June 1. They are automatically withdrawing in spite of my instructions. This coverage and customer service is terrible.

I mistakenly signed up because I had to on Obamacare website. They never sent me a bill for three months and I did not think my account was open. They sent a bill after 3 months for all three and I said I need to cancel. The woman said, "Hey you might as well go get a cleaning before I cancel," so I did and they did not cover it. Unbelievable. They also do not cover a lot but all dental is that way.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

Delta Dental really needs to be put out of business. I have gone as far as complaining to the department of insurance about this. These people aren't straight with you as to when you're 'allowed' to get treatment for your dental problems, as all they do is lie to you, say "you're fine," next thing, you're getting a bill for what they told you was covered. For one cavity I was given 3 different answers as to when I was allowed to deal with this and as to when I would get this covered. To top that off I've been told that I will only be covered for an amalgam filling, which after much research is a mercury filling that poisons your body. This plan preys on the ignorance of the insurance consumer and their only goal is to scam you out of money.

Unfortunately for now, I am stuck with this insurance and I can't afford to wait as my mouth problems may worsen. I truly believe that a class action lawsuit needs to be launched against company as clearly they are running an insurance scam, which I have seen happen over and over again from working for 11 yrs as a medical biller.

I have tried to cancel my policy three times. Once I was informed it was against their policy to cancel since it's a year contract, I was then given the policy book. According to their policy book page 15 of 24 under Cancelling this Policy 1, you become covered under a group dental plan offered at work. I had started a new job that offered benefits and I signed up. I called Delta Dental on March 17, 2017, at 7:02 am. I was informed to send out an e-mail and I should hear back in a week as it takes a week to process. I asked for my policy number and put that in the e-mail dated March 17, 2017, at 7:14 am. I received an e-mail back from Dustin ** on March 23, 2017, at 9:49 am stating he could not find the policy.

I called today March 24, 2017, at 6:08 am. Was informed they do not have a supervisor for me to speak with and the policy number was wrong. While on the phone I sent an e-mail again with the policy number given to me by this rep on March 24, 2017, at 6:18 am (I am in Pacific time and this Delta Dental is in Central time). I called again on March 24, 2017, at 6:17 am again requesting a supervisor and again I got nowhere. I left only my number and have not received a call back. I am paying for a policy I do not use and have been trying to cancel. If they attempt to charge me I will be looking to pursue fraud charges. I have made every attempt to cancel. Be careful with whom you do business with.

This is scam. I paid for a year and received ZERO out of it. Every claim from my dentist was denied. I have been trying for months to cancel the policy, and they said it was canceled, but keep charging my checking account every month. -- I suspect I will have find out who the top manager is and name him in a small claims lawsuit to get my money back. It's a criminal operation that no one should engage.

I have had this insurance for five years. I have filed a total of 6 claims. I finally talked to someone today. My claim was pulled for a review. I have to file it again. No explanation as to why, but I got a letter and now they are raising my rates. The six claims I filed were all for the same services the same day. So really I only used the insurance one time. Just can't get them to pay my claim.

Delta Dental is an unexisting service and not recommended. I called two different customer service number for Delta Dental and I have not been able to speak to an actual person. The service is frustrating, giving just basic information and no option to speak to a representative. I have not been able to retrieve/change my provider. We are now approaching the end of the first quarter of 2017 and I still haven't been able to get the service.

Moreover, I also sent a message through the website's Customer Service Section more than a week ago. I have not even gotten one reply. The website crashes often and does not show any information about my provider or even lets me do anything about it. This is unacceptable. I should not have to be going through all this trouble just to talk to someone and have my situation fixed. I cannot believe that I have tried to get help through 3 outlets (telephone, e-mail and website) and I still have no response. If this does not resolve soon I will move on to another insurance. I will not recommend anyone to this insurer OR ever re-enroll with this company again. As mentioned before, this is unacceptable.

Stay away from Delta Dental Insurance... Run! I will have waited six weeks to get approval for work on a crown. Delta is an expert at foot dragging to approve dental work... Terrible customer service and long waits on phone just to get excuses for their delays. They have had my last pre authorization claim for a month and I was told today it will take two more weeks. I have owned a large company for many years... Lots of great insurance companies out there... but not Delta Dental. This insurance is thru my wife's employer USFS. We are paying for the highest coverage with a big rate and having to fight to get work approved. THIS IS THE VERY WORST INSURANCE COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH.

I have been submitting my claim 6 times for 2 visits to the doctor, all over again. I have not received any feedback for the second year. I spent hours on the phone with customer service and every representative was giving me different explanation of why my claim was not processed. Finally after 2 years, they denied my claims with some bogus explanations. Delta Dental is just taking advantage of the fact that it's international clinic. So, out of the $15,000 I have spent in the international clinic, this insurance does not want to pay 13% of the cost! The clinics in US estimated the entire work to $50K! Ridiculous. I will never have that money. Avoid this insurance. Worst Dental insurance for International Claims - Ripoff!

They are not covering a claim for a dental procedure I had on Aug. 29th. I have spoke to 2 associates from Delta Dental that said originally it looked like I hadn't paid monthly, but that they were looking at an old Delta Dental account I had. They were able to see that I was up to date with all of my payments. They both (one associate) another a manager - said they would correct the info and resubmit the claim. I was told by the manager that nobody had scanned in my claim and submitted the info. Recently, I received a letter saying that I was denied again because lack of payment. Apparently no one corrected my account. I have paid for all of the months that I had coverage. I have made numerous phone calls and spent countless hours trying to get this corrected. My dentist said that they want me to pay out of pocket ASAP. I am getting very frustrated trying to get someone to correctly take care of this.

This company is a scam. I signed up for insurance through the Marketplace Exchange back in 2015. I thoroughly reviewed all documentation about what procedures were covered and thought I got a good plan. Although some of the more serious procedures only covered 50% (Root Canals and Extractions), it did seem to cover about 80% of the other procedures. When I had to have 2 teeth removed last year, come to find out, they would not cover the extractions at all. There was a clause in my policy that stated they only covered extractions up until the age of 19! I'm a 40 year old man! At no point in my signing up with this policy did anyone even mention this nor did anyone catch the fact that this policy would be useless to me. When I had to have a root canal, the same age limit was in effect. I have cancelled my policy with these crooks and I would recommend to anyone NEVER to choose Delta Dental as their insurance provider.

This company is one of the best examples as to why the Insurance Industry is rated lower than Used Car Salesmen. I can only pray that our new President can find a way to fix this Industry as a whole. DD's 'fine print' excludes items that most dentists will perform as part of your routine dental health. This results in getting bills after the fact for things that should have been covered by the insurance. I can see I am in good company as every other rating for DD is one star like mine for the same reason. It is as low as you can go and still give a rating.

I am incredibly upset with Delta Dental. We have double coverage (two policies). I checked before my husband had treatment and was told it was a covered expense. My husband had implants for three teeth. We were required to pay up front for them. We did so as he had gone quite some time without those teeth. It was hard for him to eat, he kept biting his tongue. So, we went and had the teeth (implants) done. The cost was $12,000. We worked for over a year trying to get payment for this. We were told it was denied. Filed against the decision and it came back they would not pay.

He had a partial made within the 5-year time frame so this was not covered. Mind you the implant that never fit, was remade and he was told, "That is the best you are gonna get." He ended up throwing it away. The insurance company had paid $800 to the dentist for this sub standard partial so they denied us reimbursement for $12,000. Such bad customer service. I feel this just can't be legal! They are totally scamming people out of money.

When I checked my bank account last month, I found that my monthly premium had DOUBLED, without notice, from $48.55 to $95.10. When I called the Billing Department I listened to, "Your call is very important to us," for over an hour. Then the representative had such poor English she couldn't understand me. I asked to be transferred to her supervisor, which meant another 15 minute hold. She said she had it straightened out. This month the same scenario. Changing Dental Policies.

Delta Dental is nothing but a scam of an organization attempting to take advantage of the current insurance interest in the US. They have a list of exclusions as long as your arm but never really make it clear what they will cover. A cleaning costs $120. Why would anyone pay $40 per month when they don't cover anything other than cleanings? The plan I have is capped at $1500 annually but I never get there and when I do, they figure out a way to claim the service is excluded. DELTA DENTAL SUCKS! Don't be fooled! Spread the word.

Delta Dental has got to be the biggest scam of an insurance plan. I received a bill in the mail today from my dentist for $175 to cover the cost of full images. The last time I got full images was three years ago, at a different dentist, and under a different Delta Dental plan (different employer). Delta Dental rejected the claim stating that I couldn't get full imaging more than once every five years, even though this was a completely different plan, under a new employer! According to them, all of my history carries over so they "can see I got them within five years." It was like they were trying to insinuate I was trying to scam the system. Delta Dental is the only dental plan offered through my new employer, so I had no choice but to go with them. This is absolutely absurd, stay away if you can.

Signed up for DD Ins. They provided 18 local dentists. After calling all I could find that was in business, 1 would take their plan. The only one that would is horrible and is considered very bad. DD could not tell me which dentists took their plan and it was up to me to call every dentist on their list. I spent a month trying to find a dentist but the money spent on insurance was now worthless. Beware of Delta Dental, their customer service is absurd and unhelpful. Said it was my fault for not calling all the dentists first before paying the premium.

The absolute worst insurance scam out there. I can't even find a dentist that doesn't require me to pay first then wait for reimbursement from Delta Dental, which never comes. I am better off without it. All the dentists who take Delta Dental are just high priced dilettante dentists.

Pimps out unnecessary services - since when do insurance co. push you to keep using your benefits unnecessarily?? - so they & dentist can keep profiting from you w/ substandard work/materials so you're forced to keep going back. Zero quality or service from customer service or in network dentists - Better chances as a foreign medical tourist - 5 star resort & same quality work. 1/10 the price!!

Came home from work this evening and found several notices referencing dental visits going back to 2014 through May 2016 requesting payment of almost $1600 by 11/22/16. The notices are titled "submission error". Of course I will be following up but this is a nasty surprise. Delta Dental has refused to pay the dentist directly so I always have to process the check through my account as the checks are payable to me, then write a check to the dentist. Hopefully this is all this is... no further information provided. Terrible customer experience - a nice billing bombshell!

Delta Dental represents themselves as insurance & can be obtained through the Health Insurance Marketplace. A representative from Delta Dental explained to me that it is not insurance, but rather a "discount plan". This was in response to a complaint that they were not paying their claims. The response was that the dental provider, may give the discount at their discretion & is under no requirement to submit any patient info or claims to Delta Dental. When I attempted to cancel the plan, I was told that since I got it through Healthcare.gov, I could only cancel through them.

I made 5 separate attempts, in writing, mail, e-mail and telephone, to cancel with Delta. When they received the request to cancel from the Marketplace, I got a letter stating that they could not process the termination because the plan was not through the Marketplace! This part is pure speculation, but it sounds like they are not only defrauding consumers, but also the Federal Government.

If I could have chosen zero stars for this company, I would have. My husband and I signed up for dental coverage with Delta Dental. We paid about $75 a month ($864/yr) for both policies. In the year that we have had that coverage, DD paid $236 in benefits and we ended up paying over $1400.00 for things like check-ups, and fillings. Please, please, please think twice before you sign up for dental coverage through this company.

I came to Delta with School District insurance needing new dentures. At each appointment, my dentist had no recollection of who I was or what he had recommended in the previous visit. After beginning over and changing the plan, this wore me down (after over six months of driving over 50 miles to appts and paying a fortune in copays), I told him to just return my original dentures. He was able to do this only with the uppers leaving me with mismatched teeth that not only did not match but looked awful. When this became intolerable, I paid out of pocket for a new denture. This was the worst experience I ever had with any kind of health insurance. Do NOT use DELTA!!!

I started a policy with Delta Dental to cover my family's dental health. Very simple math. Most dental health is preventative (making sure you don't have problems) or restorative (fixing a previous fix, like redoing a filling). Delta costs me $250 a month for my family and cover 10% of the costs of preventative or restorative care. The level of coverage for the monthly cost is staggeringly poor. My Delta Dental charges for the year are more than my dental health bill even though I'm paying 90% of the costs of care direct to the dentist.

Unfortunately our school district chose this company for the employees. I had to have three teeth extracted in order to save my gums. I could have paid more for dental implants that would not be covered or a bridge that was supposed to be covered. Of course I have the bridge. My DDS turned in the claim and after not hearing from Delta Dental for a few months they called to see what was going on. Delta Dental denied receiving the claim. (Of course.) NOW Delta Dental is refusing to pay the claim!! I already paid out of pocket $3,000+. Now they are asking for more x-rays PRE procedure. Like I am supposed to reenact this? If a bridge is considered 'cosmetic' I don't know what planet these people live on. Really???!!

After my husband woke up with a severely abscessed tooth we decided it was an emergency. His face was very swollen along with his gums. Several phone calls to dentists in the area we live and we had no choice but to go to Western Dental. So after $344.00 on MY Credit Card, a pulled tooth, antibiotics and four hours of waiting for the doctor to figure out how to pull a tooth... we were finally done and headed home. This was only the start of a miserable experience with Western Dental and Delta Dental. Who knew that since our insurance could not be verified on a Saturday, we would end up paying out of pocket.

So after 9 days of talking with several rude girls that work at Western Dental... I finally spoke with Mable the office manager. She took 3 days to submit the claim over to Delta Dental.This is after waiting for 9 days and calling 3 times a day. For them to tell me they magically have not received the claim form that I sent 5 times to them via fax. ONLY FOR DELTA DENTAL TO PAY WESTERN DENTAL!! Two things wrong with that. My husband pays a lot of money every month to have insurance that can't be verified on Saturdays... And we paid out of pocket to a place who has yet to give me that check or even answer if they have it. Delta Dental said we get $40 back... $40!!? We pay you monthly and paid $344.00 for the tooth so explain how we get 40$ back!? After a not so good explanation I'm still sitting here wonder where my check is.

We will be cancelling this insurance as soon as we receive the forms any day now. You guys are a joke and taking people for their money. Makes you look pretty bad to be contracted with a company that can't verify you on the weekends but yet you pay them!!!??? Even after me showing the receipts for the visit. Anyone wanting to go with Delta Dental, DON'T. You're wasting your time and money. You will have to pay for your own services at the end of the day anyways. And Delta dental you treat customers wrong. BECAUSE I CAN BET WESTERN DENTAL WILL NOT PAY ME. WILL YOU CARE? NOPE.

I had a low cost dental policy that paid about 20% of my dental expenses. In order to get my dentist paid more and my own out of pocket less as well with the likelihood of crowns needed in the next year or 2, I contacted an health insurance broker in Cedar Rapids and got a new policy from Delta Dental that cost me twice as much. They assured me that crowns would be covered after a year. After a year... my dentist submitted a pre-auth and they turned it down because I hadn't had the policy for a year. I had had the policy for 14 months. Then the big bomb.

I needed 8 crowns at approximately $1000.00 a crown. The max Delta Dental would pay would have been $2000.00. Long story short they don't cover crowns due to tooth decay, attrition, wear, or nearly any other reason. This was after the dentist sent in 5 sets of X-rays of many teeth that had been broken and filled and rebuilt numerous times. So what is the point of dental insurance. Can anyone tell me of a real policy that actually covers real dental expenses. Sign me disillusioned and betrayed.

Expert Review

Cyril TuohyInsurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.    More about Cyril→

Delta Dental, a pure-play dental insurer, is one of the largest dental insurance providers in the country. The company dates back to the 1950s and is committed to expanding access to oral healthcare.

• An extensive network: Delta Dental operates in all 50 states.
  • Plan variety: Nearly every type of dental insurance is offered by Delta Dental, along with unique plans tailored to unique customers. Discount plans are not offered.
  • Cost-control measures: Delta Dental has negotiated contracts with reputable dentists across the country.
  • Transparency: Customers can check claims history, estimate costs, review benefits and more on the website.
  • ACA-compliant: Delta Dental plans are available under the Affordable Care Act on the federal health care exchange.
  • Affinity: Administers the AARP Dental Insurance Plan.
  • Best for Delta Dental is good for families looking for cost-effective dental care and businesses looking to provide coverage for workers.

Compare Dental Insurance