1.24/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

270 Delta Dental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have been with Delta Dental insurance for two years through my job. Every time I take my sons to the dentist they can't receive service because it's showing under my dental plan they are not covered. When they don't go to the dentist then they are covered. They don't want to pay for anything but they want your money. When my son went to the dentist finally he received services, but when the claim form came it came in my other son's name. So I was called then and told them then they gonna tell me my son was not covered under my insurance, then I saw said. "Why y'all putting the claim firm in my other son's name when he has not been to the dentist yet." Smh. Then my son that they said was covered under my insurance finally went to the dentist. When we got there they said it's showing up that he is not covered under my insurance.

Then I called Delta Dentist from there. They said he was not covered but my other son was. I got real mad??? I told that lady on the phone that, "Two weeks ago I talked to you all and y'all said he was covered but my other son was not, now you telling me he is not covered but my other son is." They really are a terrible dental company. I tried to tell them that both of my sons are on my dental insurance. They have been since I got it. They told me I had to go to corporate at my Job to get it fix. I went to them and they said, "Your boys been covered since the beginning of the year," which I already knew. They do not want to pay so when they find out you got a dental appointment they will have it to show you or your family members are not covered so they do not have to pay for it. But then when you don't go to the dentist it shows up you are covered. I will not be dealing with them next year. Please don't waste your time on them.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I purchased a Delta Dental insurance plan for my family of 3 from Costco in Oct 18. Not knowing it was HMO (although decent coverage) I called to "upgrade" to PPO. Delta graciously charged my 187 a month for PPO (they said it would be effective the next day) when the Costco plan was 219 a year. They also cancelled my Costco plan at the same time. I went to PPO plan dentist the next day and was told I had a "waiting period of 6 months". The Delta salesmen knew I had an appt with the dentist the next day and in fact said "I get calls from patients sitting in the parking lot of dental offices needing urgent coverage all the time". This is normal. He never mentioned any wait period.

My Costco plan would have been covered thru an HMO dentist, but Delta cancelled that plan and left me with a much more expensive plan and NO coverage. The dentist even said that this is "normal" for Delta and to call and fight the wait period. Of course I did, and no manager that could take the call. The sales guy and his assistant who "expedited" the new plan and sent our enrollee ID's to the dentist. They don't return emails and of course Delta won't give out a direct number for them. Customer service told me to file a grievance and "based on your experience of being misled" should be rectified immediately. Email from Delta on grievance process... "Will get back to you in 30 days..." Bait and switch... misled, under-informed... Watch out for these guys.

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

This company is the worst as a Medicare supplement dental plan. They promise "50%" reimbursement for periodontal surgery and I was paid $440 for a $2800 claim. They state that my periodontist "was not in their network", but the closest Delta provide is 35 miles away and not the referral of choice for my regular dentist who diagnosed the problem. They are endorsed by AARP and they too defended the reimbursement. Simply put, they just do not pay what the plan promises so look elsewhere for your Medicare dental coverage. I spoke to the billing staff at my periodontists office and am now looking into other plans that they endorse.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I've been working in Dental for 7 years now, and I have solid experience as my doctor's lead assistant and assistant office manager. If you come in for X-rays, PREVENTATIVE cleaning (not a SCRP, or deep cleaning) and exam, those claims will be paid on your behalf promptly. BEWARE of Delta Dental's claims department for ANY treatment you may need. It takes hours to get a hold of a representative, 9 times out of 10 they are rude or don't understand the question. If the call "disconnects" they don't call back, despite asking for number for that very reason. They will tell you a claim is processing (after you've provided the requested info multiple times) and they need no further info and to allow time for processing.

I call on our offices claims every week on Wednesdays and I can't tell you how many times I've been told a claim is good to process and then a week later they want/NEED new, completely different additional info. Even as petty as to make you change the address of the insured patient's insurance in our computer system in order to process the claim. (They won't process at least 5 outstanding claims due to the address on the claim form, even though that address is the claims dept address!) If you have another option of insurance, depending on the company, I'd avoid Delta Dental if possible. They don't care about the patients nor the providers. They deny as much as possible and ask for never-ending info that doesn't even seen to pertain to the claim.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I am retired and submitted a $3000+ claim for dental work for my husband, who has had Parkinson's for over 15 years. I first mailed all of the necessary forms and information to DELTA DENTAL - the address in Wisc. They never received it! I then sent additional copies, Return Receipt Requested. I received the green postcard back, with an illegible signature.

Guess what, when I called Delta Dental they have no record of my claim! Of course I'm talking to someone in Customer Service in Mass. so she can't begin to guess who signed for the envelope in Milwaukee, Wisc. She then provided a number to fax all of the paperwork to - I have to drive to FEDEX, pay for parking and the $11.65 to fax the info - you guessed it - THEY NEVER RECEIVED IT! Customer Service once again provides ANOTHER number to FEDEX the information too! She then informs me that they may have to speak to my husband and if I have to speak for him they need a form authorizing me to do so!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Let's face it. Insurance, especially dental, is a scam. We've all been tricked into believing it's a necessity so that we can slack off and avoid actually managing our finances. It's pretty simple. Insurance companies make a business of paying out less than what people pay in. American Society acted crazy when Amazon bought a grocery store for $13 Billion, but nobody bats an eye when AETNA was sold last year for $69 billion. It was barely even news. That said, I work in a family dental practice that has been in business for 30+ years. Insurance payments make up 90% of our revenue, and Delta Dental is the biggest player in the game. We dislike dealing with insurance vampires so much that we have removed our practice from every PPO... except Delta Dental. Most government or public employers use Delta Dental. So it would be business suicide to not be linked to them.

Our fees are some of the lowest in the city, but Delta Dental still generally requires us to adjust 30-60% off most treatment plans. Even so, it's EXTREMELY RARE that Delta Dental will cover 100% of a patient's costs (outside of basic cleanings), especially if the plan is provided by an employer. We see about 12 Delta Dental patients a day, and usually only 6 people a year have their full amount paid for by their insurance. These people have purchased their own high-dollar plans for this benefit.

If your employer does not offer insurance and you are considering Delta Dental, may I suggest just creating your own savings account? Put your insurance premiums in there instead. You could even safely invest it so it generates a return. That's what insurance companies are doing with YOUR money. Berkshire Hathaway owns Geico, which has helped Warren Buffet become the wealthiest investor the world has ever seen!

Afraid of runaway costs? Find a small dental practice and talk to them about financial arrangements. If paying cash, our office would gladly adjust the fees for you. I'd gladly even make the same adjustments Delta Dental would require, so you pay less. Then get Care Credit or set up a monthly payment plan. - It's win win. The patient pays less than what they would pay in overall premiums to Delta Dental, and the dental office actually gets paid without having to fight any vampires. Just a thought...

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I am shocked when I read these reviews. Is there another Delta Dental? My husband works for Sunoco and this is the dental insurance and we have had them for years. I have had many a procedure including crowns and root canals and we couldn't ask for better insurance. They pay 80% for the procedures I have mentioned. My dental office could not believe it. They said they have never seen anything like it. Most plans don't cover what ours does. There is of course a cap each yr but my goodness I have had a lot of work done. My dentist is excellent so I think the problem these people are having are their dentists not the plan. My husband just got a bridge done as well along with a crown. Again it has to be the dentist. I even got money back last yr from my dentist.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I purchased a Delta Dental plan in Jan 2017 through the Affordable Care Act (Covered California). My out of pocket monthly premium was $50.99, the highest I could afford. In 2018 I had two implants in my lower left jaw. The Dentist calculated my out of pocket expense and what the normal or standard coverage would be through Delta. Several months later they informed me that I owe the balance of $1365.00 because Delta only pays for implants for those 19 years of age and younger. The online benefits summary tells me that Delta will pay 50-80% of implant related cost, depending on the dentist.

When I called Delta they informed me that the welcome brochure they sent me almost 2 years ago clearly stated the 19 year age limit. I pointed out that there was absolutely no information about any age limit in the only benefits summary. They refused to comment on that fact. I asked to speak to a manager. None was available and supposedly one will call me later. At the end of the call the Delta representative said "thanks for letting me make you smile". Total ripoff. I have paid over $1121 in premiums for a policy for teenagers, even though the online policy never states age limits. I bought the policy when I was 61 for me and no dependents. This is simply fraud.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Our family has been w/ Delta Dental HMO via small business program. We have switched to countless offices, (per Delta dental advice) hoping to find an honest provider. We have yet to find a dental office that honors the plan- crowns are double, if not triple the cost indicated on plan. Calling Delta Dental has proved to be as frustrating as the dental office. They will suggest filing a grievance over dental office refusing to honor plan. Then, after you waste your time w/ grievance, Delta Dental will suggest changing offices. Outrageous, that insurance commissioner has not investigated this plan.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I recently signed on for Delta Dental - workplace only option. I went to see one of their “network providers” within 6 months that provider left town. I found another Delta provider. Any new dentist requires a comprehensive exam. Delta refused to pay it. We’re talking about the small print in their so-called coverage. I am stuck with Delta dentist for a year. I will NEVER use this insurance company again. It’s lousy coverage and a perfect example of the insurance company GREED. I would have been better off not having Delta and paying out of pocket. So Delta got their monthly check and my dentist got a check, too. Warning: stay away from Delta! I’m filing a complaint with insurance commission and the Attorney General’s Office.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I decided at age 67 it was time to get some dental coverage as I was needing more work done. I purchased the AARP Delta Dental plan effective 12/01/2017. Well they sure know how to collect the premium every month but after 10 phone calls and trying to work with my dental office, I have not had a claim paid. Why? Every time my dentist submits a claim, they deny it because I have no coverage. The stress and phone calls of trying to straighten this out has been one of unbelievable frustration. Two weeks ago they promised to call my dentist office and today when I talked to them- they had never called. I wish I had read these reviews before I purchased this insurance. And today I got a letter stating the premium is going up from $25 month to $41 per month. Terminating!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Have been paying for a premium gold plan in order to continue to use my dentist. It was recommended that I have a bridge placed to replace teeth. Delta refuses saying if there is more than one solution, they pay for the cheapest. In other words instead of paying the benefit of $2,500, they will pay $500, but I can do whatever I want. My dentist has spoken with their consultant, who, by the way, is a part-time dentist who works only 4-5 hours a week reviewing all claims. Their response is I could get a removable partial for cheaper. They dictate the quality of life you will have by manipulation.

Plus although schedule shows they pay a certain percentage -- they have a maximum they will pay, which is not to scale for the normal charge. I would recommend taking the money and placing it in an FSA plan to use for dental services. This is horrendous. Imagine having dental work done where you expect them to pay and you are told they'll pay 10% at most. They always have a reason, which is not provided even in fine print on the policy.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

This company has been awful for me. They refuse to cover basic procedures like xrays and will not pay more then 43.00 for any service. The customer service is horrible at best. They transfer you over and over, only to tell you that the department you need to talk to is not available. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

For a time, I privately purchased my own dental insurance through Delta Dental. I didn't have occasion to use it so I can't speak to that, but when my employer provided a service and I tried to cancel Delta Dental, I was blocked from doing so entirely. There's no automated option on their phone line to cancel. All attempts to reach a representative end in a disconnected call. The website came up blank after I registered so I couldn't do it that way. In the end I had to call my bank and pay a $35 fee to block all future withdraws from Delta Dental from my bank account. Horrible customer service, people shouldn't be trapped into keeping them via blocking exits.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I just found out Delta Dental sends insured members a check for past dental work. I didn't know that so every time I received correspondence it went in the trash can because I thought it was just a statement. Now they can't tell me if I can get those checks reissued. Also, I just tried calling customer support. After going through all of the various frustrating menus and giving all of my information, the automated voice said, “We are experiencing technical difficulties” and hung up on me. Couldn't they have told me that upfront? Frustrated.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I had a root canal performed on 6/14. I have primary dental coverage through former employer with BCBS, and secondary dental coverage with current employer through Delta Dental. Claim was first filed with BCBS. The endodontist's office then filed with Delta, providing them with the claim statement showing what Blue Cross reimbursed for the root canal. Delta received the claim on July 12. As it appeared to still be "in process," I called Delta asking about the claim. I paid out of pocket for the services when they were performed (almost $1600). I was advised that it can take up to 30 days to process a claim. I then spoke to someone at Delta on July 26 who indicated they needed the date the BC policy became effective (over 10 years ago). I sent that info immediately. They still denied the claim and have now restarted the processing time to allow yet another 30 days.

BCBS paid my claim within 72 hours via direct deposit. What is wrong with these people that it takes a month (or two) to process a claim. They made no effort to contact me to request additional information, so the claim would have just simply been denied. It's off because I had a crown done on July 17, and that was prior to them requesting additional information yet they processed that claim. They are snappy and rude on the phone. If the rude customer service people were out of pocket $1600 for a dental procedure, I'm sure they would like to get their money back in a reasonable amount of time. What's difficult to understand about that? That's what I pay for insurance for. These people are rude, inept and not worth the money paid in premiums. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Recently most of my claims were denied. When asked, Delta only said that they covered a certain amount of a procedure, despite the Benefits Booklet showing 100% covered in both in-network and out-of-network. When I asked how much is covered up to this "certain amount" the customer service rep told me that they do not know until the claim is being processed. Now I'm stuck with a $288.00 bill for a dental cleaning because these policies are not transparent. How am I supposed to estimate my coverage when Delta Dental maintains an arbitrary internal amount and will not allow consumers access to this so they can make the best choices for their health? Delta Dental is shady and untrustworthy. I would stop using them if our plan allowed.

Original review: July 21, 2018

My 5 year old had a tough time with her teeth as most had some decay. It took 7 trips to the children's hospital to get her teeth drilled, filled and capped. With each session she needed "sleepy juice" to sedate her. On the last trip to fix her front teeth the dentist suggested we try scaling back the decay since she'll soon lose her front teeth. I thought this was a wise, less invasive choice and was hoping to save a little money avoiding more crowns. The procedure was quick and relatively easy compared to previous work. When I received the bill from Delta and the dentist I was shocked to discover that none of this scaling was covered as it was coded as odontoplasty - a procedure typically utilized for aesthetic reasons to improve tooth appearance.

When I called Delta there was no wiggle room even though my daughter's procedure was done to remove decay. They hide behind their bureaucratic rules and won't allow the nuances of a situation to affect their decision. It was coded as odontoplasty and that's how it was billed. Zero consideration of individual patients need for the procedure. I feel bad for those who have to work for Delta - what a thankless job. The agent on the phone apologized for the cold, impersonal nature of the process and agreed it makes no sense. But I'm sure the partners will gladly take the profits!

Original review: July 20, 2018

We had Delta Dental coverage for many years through my employer. I retired and got health care coverage through ACA, Covered California. Because of website issues with Covered California we missed dental coverage for our first year on ACA. Since then, we have had Delta Dental coverage. My wife had a non-urgent crown replaced a few months after we again were covered by Delta Dental. They are refusing to cover this crown using fine print in the contract. Be aware of the fine print in their contract. No consideration for long term loyal customers!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Beware of details and unwritten rules for Delta Dental, they lie and cheat and do not care for anyone. Delta told me I had to go to the one dentist they assigned to me and I followed all the rules, even hidden ones, but Delta had assigned me to a dentist that did not accept their insurance. By the time I could get appointment with another dentist, it was July so Delta invoked their unwritten hidden fraudulent rule and told me I was not eligible to the promised "two cleanings in 12 months" because there has to be minimum of 6 months between them. If you keep Delta long enough, you will be in same situation fighting the calendar to get your promised coverage. Customer support will not budge on this and whine at you to not yell at them for their fraudulent criminal cheating behavior. In MANY cases, Delta is more expensive than paying dentist directly.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Delta Dental Insurance refuses to correct miscoded claim of a partial denture although they are aware that this code is incorrect and the Dentist office admitted on April 3, 2018 that they did not give me the more expensive metal frame partial that was coded. The miscode is to Delta Dental’s advantage because it prevents me from getting any other service to the upper arch.

Bay Ridge Management Corp., Cosmetic & Implant center, ** located at 7708nFourth Ave., Brooklyn NY 11209 sent Delta Dental Insurance claim#** using code D5213 on 9/08/2014. Maxillary partial denture- cast metal framework with resin denture bases (including any conventional clasps, rests and teeth). ** knows that this does not describe my partial. Mine has no metal and seems to be made entirely of nylon or acrylic-vinyl material made for only one side of the arch. My current dentist states the partial ** made for teeth 3,4,5 is a Nesbit. The correct code for the Nesbit provided me by Cosmetic & Implant Center is D1520 (space maintainer- removable – unilateral) only on one side of the arch.

Delta Dental states that they already paid ** of Bay Ridge Management Corporation $750. July 28, 2017 I received a letter from Delta Dental states I had to ask the dentist to correct the code. I requested them to change it to the correct code a year ago. On April 3, 2018, they finally answered my BBB complaint stating that they gave me a more conservative less expensive partial with no metal (The Nesbit).

I was not aware of the problem with the code until on or about June 1 2017, when I received a pretreatment denial Claim ** for my damaged bridge for teeth 12,3,14 on the opposite side of the arch. Which says I am responsible for the entire $2250 instead of %50 or $1125. I have been fighting this decision ever since. I had to pay the entire balance of the $2250 for replacement of the damaged bridge on teeth 12, 13, 14 which was completed Oct 20, 2017. Cosmetic & Implant center, **, D.D.S & Associates or Delta Dental Insurance Company need to correct the code so Delta Dental Ins can approve the claim and reimburse me $1125 paid by me that should have been paid by Delta Dental.

DELTA DENTAL DENTIST HANDBOOK states under Prosthodontics- Removable codes (D5000-D5899) 19: Placement of a removable partial denture and a fixed bridge for the same arch will not be considered for benefit allowance. Use of a code using these numbers is the problem. Its use will cause me not to be able to file a future or current claim on the same arch. I believe this is the reason Delta Dental will not change the code to the correct code of D1520.

After my present dentist sent in claim for my bridge on teeth 12,13,&14, I once again requested Delta Dental to pay that claim. Claim ** for the completed bridge was denied. I received a letter from Delta Dental dated June 1, 2018 telling me they have no jurisdiction over Dr. ** of Bay Ridge Management Corporation because they are a non-member. (Even though they corrected other issues and gone after other money owed by this company when it’s in their favor.) **, who is a member, is the original dentist that was working on this partial. He made such a mass ordering a horrible partial with the metal that would not fit my mouth instead of the Nesbit I had originally asked for.

Original review: July 15, 2018

6/26/18 received tooth implant, as per the Delta PDF bylaws they will pay either the cheaper of two options (bridge, or denture). Well they paid 0, and I'm stuck with $2,774 bill. They further stated in their denial letter "AN IMPLANT PROSTHESIS IS COVERED ONLY IF THE EXISTING PROSTHESIS WAS PLACED AT LEAST 5 YEARS PRIOR TO REPLACEMENT." I lost a tooth from a cracked root that needed replacement, my Dentist and Oral Surgeon can't believe the denied claim. What I also noted on their denial statement they don't include their phone number. I guess they just want are premium and when they deny coverage they don't want to hear back from us. I am intending on pursuing this matter to the attorney general's office as well.

Original review: July 3, 2018

They cover 2 exams, 2 sets of x-rays and 2 cleanings each year. But 1 FM Radiograph every 5 years. I spoke to Kayla at Delta Dental benefits 877-377-5727 complaining about them not paying for my x-rays and that it seemed the full mouth x-rays are never covered on me. Here's what I discovered. The way they've cheated (but she wont use that term) consumers is their internal rule on the cost of x-rays your dentist takes during a routine exam. I recently found out that they bundled a certain amount of x-rays into one full mouth (FM Radiograph). If it's submitted on the same day, and the total payout for them is as much as one FM Radiograph. So your x-ray set that would have been free turns out to be a charge, because you most likely had an event in the past 5 years that they had counted as an FM Radiograph.

And here's a related cheating scheme. If during a year, you've exceeded your plan maximum of $2000, anything above that you'd pay, but would still count against your benefit. For example, that FM Radiograph, and any other services you ended up paying for because the $2000 payout had been reached previously, would still count against your remaining benefits. Thus, you won't be able to get another FM Radiograph paid until 5 years is up starting from the date you most recently paid for it when the maximum was reached.

Word to the wise - call them and ask each time you go to the dentist what you are entitled to in details, and work out any scenario to make sure the dentist won't submit anything that you could lose future benefits on. The average person don't have a clue on this unless they spend much time researching, and Delta Dental laughs all the way to the bank. Any class action lawyer out there? Go after Delta Dental and teach them a lesson.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I pay $20.37 a month for this insurance, and only found out after signing that it is only preventive coverage. My daughter needs her wisdom teeth pulled - and they won't pay anything. If I had known that I would have added her to my insurance. Don't waste your money, get a real insurance.

Original review: June 14, 2018

My dental plan covers 100% of preventative care, and 60% of other dental work, such as a crown. The patient pays 40%, which is a little high, and that's why I didn't think it's a great value, but it's not bad.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Don't waste your money. 3 years ago this was a really good company but now they don't pay hardly nothing. You will pay more on premiums than they cover no matter what happens. I tried to cancel then it was like an act of congress to cancel I called to cancel in Delta Dental in Oklahoma and she said I had to sent an email. They tried to charge me another month but that not happening. Good company gone bad...

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have received dental coverage through my employer. Recently had a bridge done. An estimate was given as usual. This time however they denied my claim because apparently I now have a "poor prognosis" so I get a bill for over 14 hundred dollars. I've already paid over 3 thousand out of pocket. What's the point of having insurance if they don't cover anything. Stay clear of them.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I lived in Florida in 2014 and had Delta Dental through my employer. Our benefits had a $1000.00 for orthodontics. I got Invisalign for my daughter and recently I called her orthodontist who we actually still commute to Florida to finish her service. They said Delta Dental only paid $500.00. I called Delta Dental and was told they only pay $500.00 then the next year they pay the other $500.00. So since I had moved before the second year of service, even though we had the coverage at the time she got the Invisalign, they refuse to pay the other $500.00. It is a total ripoff. None of us employees were told this nor was it in our benefit package.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Do not buy dental insurance with Delta Dental Insurance company. You will be sorry if you do because the insurance is worthless: I bought an individual dental insurance with Delta Dental Insurance. Policy name is Delta Dental PPO Individual. On their website they advertise that the policy I bought will pay 100% for General cleaning twice per year. That what I am looking for. My first cleaning happened on 4/20/18. This cleaning I have done for many years with the same dentist. My past Humana Medicare Advantage Insurance paid the full amount for this cleaning twice per year no problem.

Today 4/30/18 Delta Dental insurance company sent me an email itemizing my cleaning bill. They agree to pay only $28.00 out of a total general cleaning charge of $134.00. They wrote that only one item in the general cleaning bill fall within my insurance coverage and there is a $50 deductible on that item. The rest is my responsibility. I end up responsible for $106.00 of the $134.00 total bill. They never disclose those limits on their website. The only thing they post on the policy that I bought is general cleaning will be covered 100% twice per year. Call them and I was putting on waiting and nobody ever answer the phone. After waiting for 20 minutes I hang up. I feel so embarrassed that I not only wasting my money but also my precious time to deal with this total worthless, dishonest company. It set up only to steal people money. Don't be a victim like I am.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My advice is to stay as far away as you can from this den of thieves. Needing to have some dental work done after several years of neglect, I chose and paid the annual premium for Delta Dental's top of the line program. I was quoted pricing examples for a variety of procedures and thought this coverage best fit my needs. I then visited my dentist for examination and development of a dental health plan. During this visit, I was told the actual prices I would be paying for each procedure. Under Delta Dental's plan, the cost of every procedure was significantly higher than what I had been led to believe when purchasing the plan. My dentist had his own plan, which reduced the cost of my procedures significantly.

Before having any dental work done under Delta's plan, I called to ask them to cancel my policy. I was told policies could not be cancelled after ten days and it was the twelfth day of my policy. I then sent a memo on Delta's website saying I understood there were costs associated with initiating the policy and was will to pay one to two months' premiums to cover this cost if they would refund the remaining policy premiums. I then received a letter from Delta stating my policy length is one year and cannot be canceled. However, at the end of twelve months my policy will be canceled and I will not be eligible to renew after that (As if I would want to). This experience has left me frustrated and angry with Delta Dental, a totally untrustworthy company that illustrates the corporate greed rampant throughout much of our health insurance industry.

Delta Dental Plans Association expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Delta Dental, a pure-play dental insurer, is one of the largest dental insurance providers in the country. The company dates back to the 1950s and is committed to expanding access to oral healthcare.

• An extensive network: Delta Dental operates in all 50 states.

• Plan variety: Nearly every type of dental insurance is offered by Delta Dental, along with unique plans tailored to unique customers. Discount plans are not offered.

• Cost-control measures: Delta Dental has negotiated contracts with reputable dentists across the country.

• Transparency: Customers can check claims history, estimate costs, review benefits and more on the website.

• ACA-compliant: Delta Dental plans are available under the Affordable Care Act on the federal health care exchange.

• Affinity: Administers the AARP Dental Insurance Plan.

• Best for: Delta Dental is good for families looking for cost-effective dental care and businesses looking to provide coverage for workers.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Delta Dental Company Information