Delta Dental

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Delta Dental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

This is an absolutely terrible company, and the biggest financial scam I’ve ever encountered. They intentionally make bill processing extremely difficult in order to dissuade their customers from using the dental services they’re paying to be covered. Instead of paying my dental office directly after I paid my deductible, like every other dental insurance company, they refused to pay them what they’re supposed to, and instead sent me checks and told me to cash them instead! Without telling me that that money was actually supposed to go to my dental clinic! Now I’m facing a huge financial debt trying to pay back what Delta Dental had told me to cash in the first place, over a month after they sent me these checks! Why is this company run this way?? I swear as soon as I can I’m switching to a different company, because this is absolutely insane!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Hi. I recently purchased dental insurance from Delta. I purchased their most expensive plan. Apparently their customer service needs a lot to be desired. The website says payment overdue paper bill says payment not due. I cannot get in touch with anyone either over the website or the telephone. I would recommend avoiding this company unless they straighten this out immediately. Apparently you cannot get in touch with them as of September 22nd 2022.

Get buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

No decent dentist or specialist will work with them, those few that do accept it are mostly sub-par providers, whose malpractice Delta will arbitrarily refuse to investigate. As a company, Delta does more harm than good.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

They make it impossible to get a letter stating proof of Up-to-date payments and Current membership which is necessary for recertification in senior apt bldgs., food stamps, etc., etc. They don't even offer that service!!! Yet you're paying every single month. You've been paying thousands over the years...and they can't even offer this needed documentation.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Before my policy even started I called and canceled because none of the dentist in my areas will take this insurance. I had paid for a year upfront through AARP. They said they will not credit back your credit card. That you get a check in the mail within three weeks! So over $800 that I need for a new policy they will not give me even though I don’t even have an account with them with a policy that ever started! I had it escalated and they said they would try within 24 to 48 hours to reimburse my card and it’s been almost a week and no one answers the phone or calls you back. Horrible company to do business with and I don’t recommend them to anybody. And don’t get the HMO because those Dentists have one star ratings-get the PPO if you dare!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I broke my dentures in Dec. 2021. Work was done and forms sent in. Was told it would take a month to process. Was then told they would pay $644 of the total cost of $1800, but they were still missing info. Resent info again, and again, 4 or 5 times. Then 9 months later they tell me it's not a covered procedure! Why did it take them 9 months to decide this and what good is dental insurance that doesn't cover dentures! Also, on the rare occasion you could reach a person they were snippy and not helpful at all!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

JUST GOT RIPPED OFF by Delta Dental. Months ago, I submitted proof that I had an emergency and showed a statement from the dental office that I paid out of pocket $1764. I submitted a claim to Delta Dental and I received a letter which promised me reimbursement of $100 (OBVIOUSLY) I SENT PROOF! Months passed and no check!!! I just called (again) about my check and I was told that I had to send additional proof (WHICH DR DID WHAT, ETC). I don't have the energy and time to fight over $100. Hope they send my $100 to the food bank--Christmas is around the corner!!!.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

Use a different dental insurance company. The customer service is horrible, not helpful but argumentative. Not clear on what is covered or in-network or requires more documentation. I shouldn't have to purchase a service and have to fight for the service to be fulfilled when filing claims. This company should be sued for their misinterpretation or representation that this company has good dental coverage, THEY DON'T! I repeat THEY DON'T, I would check out other companies or ask your dental office if they have other options for payment. I do not trust this company and will be opting out of it the next time my employers open enrollment time (or in my situation, disenrollment time). Insurance companies like this one, is destroying our health system in this country.

Original review: June 29, 2022

Terrible service. Trying to talk with somebody through their web portal about my deep gum cleaning. (My dentist suggest they are supposed cover it but they didn't). After one week, they replied someone will contact me shortly. After another week, they say shortly means one month. After two months, still no one shows up. I tried to contact with them multiple times and no one ever talk with me anymore. Most ridiculous customer service I have ever seen. Will never recommend to anyone I know.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I have wasted dozens of hours of my life trying to get very simple bills paid through Delta Dental. My dental office has also reported, in their words, a "nightmare" trying to work with the company. It's hard to tell whether their agents are inept or the company is just unable to function due to poor management. My dentist is in-network, but Delta continues to treat them as out-of-network. During the pandemic, I received checks--without Delta ever explaining what they were for or as a baseline, including a note stating what they were for--for these supposed "out-of-network" services. I thought these were refunds, because a few companies, including my university and BCBS, gave refunds during the pandemic because people couldn't visit the doctor.

Turns out that Delta was not paying my dentist, and suddenly, I was faced with thousands of dollars of back bills from my dentist. My dentist said that they had mind-numbing conversations with Delta trying to get them to get all of their dentists in the office listed as "in-network." They were totally sick of talking with them! It literally took about 12 phone calls made by me and my husband trying to straighten this out. They told me, today even, that they have no way of viewing in their system which bills are outstanding. WHAT? And their customer service agents have ranged from being ineffective to outright rude.

Today, an agent got testy with me when I tried to explain that I was calling to pay my bill, and she said that they do not take payments at all. I stand in my kitchen now, staring at a bill that has to be paid. If you have any ability at all to NOT choose Delta, I recommend that. If you're stuck with them, as I am, just try to avoid having to deal with them whatsoever.

Delta Dental Plans Association author review by Cyril Tuohy

Delta Dental, a pure-play dental insurer, is one of the largest dental insurance providers in the country. The company dates back to the 1950s and is committed to expanding access to oral healthcare.

• An extensive network: Delta Dental operates in all 50 states.

• Plan variety: Nearly every type of dental insurance is offered by Delta Dental, along with unique plans tailored to unique customers. Discount plans are not offered.

• Cost-control measures: Delta Dental has negotiated contracts with reputable dentists across the country.

• Transparency: Customers can check claims history, estimate costs, review benefits and more on the website.

• ACA-compliant: Delta Dental plans are available under the Affordable Care Act on the federal health care exchange.

• Affinity: Administers the AARP Dental Insurance Plan.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Advisor

Cyril Tuohy has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Delta Dental Company Information