Compare Quotes and Save

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Dental Insurance

Shop Plans Today

309 Delta Dental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

I was a happy Delta Dental customer for 41 years. I retired and switched to AARP Delta Dental against my better judgement. Misinformation from representatives, high cost and practically nothing paid. Rude condescending grievance department, unauthorized fund withdrawal. After 41 years being a Delta Dental customer I had to wait one year to get anything but a cleaning then the amount covered of a 1500 dollar pre op authorization was around 300. AARP you're giving Delta Dental a bad name. Check out Kaiser health and dental plan 29 per month instead of 68 from AARP.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Beware, Delta Dental is going to get the last laugh. Yes they may be fine paying claims but they don't bother telling you are signing up for an annual policy that does not revert to month to month after the first year. So when you have a major life event like a new job you cannot cancel your policy. They are going to continue to charge you for the remaining 8 months for you and your family. So yes they are going get the last $200 or more dollars out of you regardless if you get a job with insurance, get married, divorced or anything else. Or you can put yourself in a position to have a collection record on your credit report. Prepare to be screwed because sooner or later you aren't going to need the insurance anymore and it's unlikely that is going to happen on your renewal date or that you will even remember when that is.

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Like others I signed up with Delta Dental via Costco. On their website they claim that a tooth extraction costs a mere $42. Not so. I paid $220! They also claim that through them, a bridge will cost around $350. Once again, NOT SO. I was quoted a minimum of $880 for a bridge. Very disappointing. When it sounds too good to be true... BEWARE. This is just a scam to take your money.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I had a basic PPO plan with Delta Dental in which the booklet stated that root canals were covered at 50%. When I was told I needed a root canal, I called Delta and was informed that they were not covered under the basic plan. I then switched to the premium plan. My waiting period started completely over which meant I had to wait 1 year even though there was no lapse in coverage. However, when I made the switch, the representative informed me that my waiting period would not change with the new policy. I was completely misinformed.

Original review: April 3, 2019

We were dropping Delta Dental due to my husband no longer work at the same workplace. Called Delta to ask about the benefit's end date, what's covered, etc. Was told to get treatments started before the end of January of this year. Delta Dental failed to inform me they will only cover my bridge procedure after the bridge has been delivered, which it was delivered in Feb. Now I am left with an $800+ bill that they're supposed to pay after my United Dental paid their part.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

Original review: March 28, 2019

I called many times and each wait is about an hour long to speak to a representative over the past week to ask for a letter stating for proof of current coverage to be enroll in my new insurance. However, one representative told me it is impossible, the other one told me he will email me the next day but never did, and the other lady told me that my request is in outstanding and I have to wait between 3 to 5 business days but not sure if I will get my request. The tone of their voice seems unfriendly and they don’t want your business. I don’t understand how complicated it is to request such simple information. I am very disappointed with just this minor request and they cannot do their job. I really need this urgent for my new coverage and cannot believe the service is this awful. I will never get Delta Dental service again.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I had a Delta Dental premium (most expensive) plan for several years. Everything was fine as long as I had routine, preventative work and a couple of cavities. But then I needed upper and lower partials, which were placed on 2/14/19. The bill was submitted to Delta Dental. My dentist office said I had $590 left on my dental plan for the year. The plan stated dentures were paid at 50%. I heard nothing from Delta Dental. I called them on 3/14/19 and was told they never received the claim. Of course. I immediately resubmitted the claim, and USPS reported it was delivered on 3/18/19. It is now the end of March, and I have received nothing from Delta Dental. I cancelled the method of premium payments today. I will use it to pay for my dental work. I hear the dental discount plans are better. We’ll see.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I had Delta Dental and you had to wait an entire year to have some particular thing done. I waited the year and they didn't pay for nearly what they advertise that they do. Their ad on TV says they cover everything. They do not. Not even close.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I pay nothing for preventive checkups, and I am satisfied with major dental services being covered. Monthly cost is affordable. Customer service needs to be trained to put a smile in their voice, though.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Delta Dental has been a pain to work with in regards to customer service. We have been advised that our son needs to see a pediatric dentistry however there within the network the closest available who is taking new patients is 45 mins away. This will not work for us. Besides that, we had been double charged for our premium, auto deducted from my paycheck and charged also on our credit card. This has been a mess and we're still working things out.

Original review: March 24, 2019

$650 annual premiums for $1000 coverage... cheap ** and not recommended. Poor service, if you can get it timely. A waste of payroll deduction. You can find better anywhere. We did and never looked back.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I called to cancel my policy just 2 weeks after signing up as I am starting a new job. They said they would cancel and refund since I didn't use it. 2 weeks later they sucked another $50 from my checking with no warning of course. So I called them back where they stated I needed to send my request in writing via email which I did while on the phone and got confirmation and was told again the policy is canceled & I would get my money. A month later they sucked another $50 from me. This time when I called they said they are not going to honor my request as I am in a 1 year contract. Great. Another faceless criminal organization gets to steal people's money with zero accountability. These people are worse than PayPal!

Original review: March 21, 2019

I purchased the Delta Dental plan through Costco. The plan indicates that a tooth extraction is $42. I was charged $789! A cleaning is $20 on the plan and I was charged $389. Beware that this is just a scam to get your money and provide nothing.

Original review: March 18, 2019

There are too many codes that do not fit the dentist preference. Also it would be nice to offer at least a discount on additional cleanings per year because most of the dentists say one should come every 4 months.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I find Delta Dental to be adequate for those who need coverage for their routine "yearly check-up and cleaning". For any other extensive procedures done, to the layman, "other" procedures are still very pricey. I recently had my yearly, and it was found that I needed a root canal and buildup on one tooth, my ending dollar responsibility was over $800.00 and that does not include the final crown/cap that will need to placed at some time in the future. I have the "high plan" which is geared toward covering more expense; I do not find this to be the case. While the cost offset is very much appreciated: I feel that the insurance is more akin to having a coupon book for certain procedures that can only be used once per year, for the other that routine cleanings.

I pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $432.00 a year for this insurance, which when cost compared to simply paying out of pocket for the yearly exam (which most people use) is more than the actual cost of most dentists' charge for an uninsured patient. Delta needs to reevaluate their formulary to better address those who may occasionally come across an unexpected procedure needed. If I had other options for my family I would certainly entertain them. Will continue with Delta, as something is better than nothing, but sincerely feel the coverage could/should be more comprehensive.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Great coverage with no co-pay for preventative services such as X-rays and cleanings. Insurance cost was really reasonable as I purchased thru my employer and the network dentist is less than 5 miles away from my home!

Original review: March 15, 2019

Well as we have used the dental insurance more than once it’s been very helpful talking to customer service and prices they quoted were very accurate once we saw the dentist. So we were more prepared in expectations instead of the ‘guess work’ from previous plans? I’ve been more than pleased and have also renewed it for 2019 thru my husband's insurance plan? Would recommend this company to anybody too.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I love Delta Dental. Have had for 20 years+. I was ecstatic when I found it became available for military retirees. Even though now I have to pay a premium. I like being able to coordinate benefits with my wife’s carrier. Our network dentist have always been top notch.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Do not use this insurance company. It is the worst I've ever had. You have to wait 6 months to use the service! I was told over the phone it would take 30 days. I was lied to! BEWARE!!! NO REFUNDS AT ALL!

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have been a customer for 8 years & love the great coverage and the great job DELTA DENTAL is doing. Please keep up the good work. Thanks for everything and please keep the cost down like you have been doing because my family and I really appreciate it.

Original review: March 7, 2019

My employer and I paid into Delta Dental for the year of 2018, and finally in December I had to schedule an emergency dental appointment. They did not process my initial claim from the dentist on 12/10 until March of 2019. When I reviewed the claim, none of the numbers made any sense and it looks as if I'm going to owe the dentist even more, regardless of the fact that the office staff was supposed to have been able to calculate my out of pocket expenses. It appears they pick arbitrary numbers based on some profit margin they expect to make.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Deltacare is my secondary insurance, through my husband, but it has better benefits for many procedures than my own plan. I expected that, in those cases, I would pay no more than the Deltacare co-pay since those are their contracted rates with the dentist. Apparently, I was wrong, and my Deltacare won't coordinate at all as secondary so I paid hundreds of dollars more for a crown today than I would have paid if Delta was my only insurance. They've taken my premium dollars but are flat out refusing to pay anything.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I purchased this through AARP and it's a waste of money. There isn't one Endodontist in my plan. Delta knew it and still ripped me off. I found out that no Endodontist took the HMO plan and now I need to buy another insurance plan with another company. Stay away from Delta Dental and AARP. They work together to rip off the elderly. I will be filing a claim with a lawyer and with the attorney general. Beware of this company. It's a ripoff.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I had a policy in Texas and moved to Arizona where there was not coverage. I had prepaid. They processed a credit of $15.61 and refuse to refund it to me. Been dealing with this over a 6 months. Told 7 times "check was in the mail". It is a small amount, but now it is the principle of things they are this bad of a company. I have found multiple reviews how they rip off their customers and I am no different.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

We had to get dental insurance thinking it was a smart thing to do after retirement, but after a few years of being with Delta Dental I realize I need to look for a better honest insurer. Initially, monthly payment was 53.00 a month but you're not covered fully until one or possibly 2 years with them, so we always had big money to pay out after our dental care.

Within the first 2 years after hooking you into a plan with such promise, the monthly bill is now 73.57 sure to rise again... But oh wait!! We are now 100% covered... Listen to this... Had our teeth cleaned recently at 100% covered & the accepted fee for dentist is 67.00, so we pay 50.00 each & they pay 17.00. Yes.. 17 dollars at 100% coverage so we send out 100 dollars to their 34.00? Is this 100% coverage to anyone? Plus they continue increasing monthly installments, as a United States Veteran, what happened to god & country? & for us we will make changes. Having to go through another plan time period before 100% covered & hope it's not the same treatment of just taking our money just ripping us off.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have had Delta Dental insurance for years. Each year the premiums have gone up and their percentage of payment has gone down. I have had the same dentist nearly 20 years, and last year they reimbursed less than 25% of my care. Honestly, if I had the premiums in my pocket I would have been better off than what they reimbursed. My experience at this point is that no dental insurance is better than Delta Dental insurance.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I called in Delta Dental on 12/17/2018 and enrolled the premium plan directly in the morning about 10am. I gave my auto- pay authorization and the representative said they charged $234.28 right away. After 3 hours, I changed my mind and wanted to cancel my policy and called in for cancellation. The same representative answered and she told me she cancelled my policy but refund will take normally about 8 to 10 weeks and there is no further action or paperwork I need to do nothing further for cancellation.

On 1/6/2019, I received the policy packet by mail so I called them back to make sure my policy had been canceled. The person on the phone checked my name and told me that my name is not in their system. So I assumed the cancellation had been done already. On 2/1/2019, I received auto pay notice for March insurance from them by mail. When I called them, they told me that the cancellation was never done and it has been active all these months. She said I only make a call to them on 1/6 to make sure my policy is active. That was not my conversation with them. Anyway, they refused to refund the money even if I called in for cancellation 3 hours of enrollment which was illegal.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Unless you have coverage through an employer, DO NOT purchase a Delta Dental plan. First of all, I purchased a basic plan because I don't usually need extensive work. I wanted only to cover for my 2 exams and cleanings each year. The cost of the premiums for this however, would clearly cost more than if I paid for these out of pocket. Plus, they want a 50.00 deductible on top of the premiums each year.

So, I stupidly signed up for a plan that began in December 2018. I then had my checkup at a cost of 151.00. I ended up with a 97.00 balance after Delta paid. When I called for clarification, because I thought exams and cleanings were "free" each year, I was told it was because my dentist was a "Premiere" dentist so, the charges reflected the excess of his bill plus my 50.00 deductible. To add injury to insult, the deductible was applied to 2018 so, I now have to meet another deductible for 2019. My premiums were 34.00/mo for 2 cleanings a year, plus the 50.00. I was also informed that should I need major work now, I can't even use insurance for it until April, meaning I am paying premiums for nothing.

I would much rather pocket that money and pay for anything I might need on my own. Major work would only be covered 50% anyway so, I will now have 450.00/yr in saved premiums and deductibles if that should happen. Anyway, it's such a scam requiring that I pay for insurance that won't cover anything until April. That is six months of premiums before they will even cover half of, on a handful of services. I canceled the policy today. Just take care of your teeth!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I just joined Delta Dental in late November 2018 and wish I never saw the recommendation on the AARP website about them. First I had to pay in advance for two months (December 2018 and January 2019) on a credit card which I did. This is supposedly to show our credibility. I found that odd and never heard of such a practice from a company I never heard of. Obviously a trust issue.

On January 26, 2019, they auto billed me in advance for the February payment with no notice when I was expecting to pay manually in February. Somewhere along the line a manual payment by myself was changed to auto pay. I don't do auto pays because past experience has proven some companies will take the money too early. I wasn't expecting it and their withdrawal created a hardship because I had other expenses more important than a dental plan I haven't even used yet.

Getting a hold of these people at Delta Dental is a real lesson in patience and frustration. Each time I went to their website to send a message it was done on the main website. Responses from them could only be found on a separate website that required a totally different user name and password. I found that ridiculous because I only got their response without my original message so I had no proof of what I asked. They should have Secure Messaging like other websites of better design than theirs. Often the links in their messages didn't work which added to the frustration. If I was lucky to get a response it was usually very brief and meaningless, and never answered the question. Terrible system.

My experience has shown me this is a "hands off" business that doesn't seem to care about their customers which is why I had to play the multiple automated phone game before finally reaching someone. I cancelled my service with Delta Dental around January 26, 2019 because I find their services horrible and they don't care about their customers. They responded on January 29. I'm not sure of the exact date of cancellation because of the message system. The website is terrible and I found no way to print to a PDF file unless I did a Control P.

Today, January 31, 2019, I called to inquire as to when I was going to receive my refund for January especially since my auto payment has already posted. I was told I had to wait three weeks after this date to receive it. I said it took them no time to take my money before it was even due and it was not supposed to be automatically deducted so why should I have to wait three weeks. The woman I talked to acted as if she didn't care and was rude from the beginning.

I don't recommend any company who only seems to care about money and not the one paying it. I can't wait for my AARP account to expire because I'm not renewing that either. I would rather have no dental insurance than stay with this company. What a mistake and loss of $120+ just to prove reliability. I prefer paying out of pocket. At least I have control of my own money.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I paid every month and every month, received a threat of cancellation, and would sometimes be canceled (regardless of payment) and would have to call to be reinstated. Was told it was a glitch going back 3 years when one payment was missed (when my automatic payment was on a card that had just expired but I took care of it right away).

After calling so many times to speak with representatives and managers who swore to fix the problem (and sometimes temporarily succeeded) , I would inevitably get another cancellation notice even if I had paid recently. It became ridiculous and laughable, and I went to the dentist for a cleaning and x-rays and paid out of pocket because I KNEW that even though I was current, there would be a big fight with Delta saying I wasn’t covered. My blood pressure could not take it anymore, and I want nothing to do with those incompetent fools. I feel awful for anyone who has had procedures they expect to be covered. No insurance is better than Delta. I hope they go out of business.

Delta Dental Plans Association expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Delta Dental, a pure-play dental insurer, is one of the largest dental insurance providers in the country. The company dates back to the 1950s and is committed to expanding access to oral healthcare.

• An extensive network: Delta Dental operates in all 50 states.

• Plan variety: Nearly every type of dental insurance is offered by Delta Dental, along with unique plans tailored to unique customers. Discount plans are not offered.

• Cost-control measures: Delta Dental has negotiated contracts with reputable dentists across the country.

• Transparency: Customers can check claims history, estimate costs, review benefits and more on the website.

• ACA-compliant: Delta Dental plans are available under the Affordable Care Act on the federal health care exchange.

• Affinity: Administers the AARP Dental Insurance Plan.

• Best for: Delta Dental is good for families looking for cost-effective dental care and businesses looking to provide coverage for workers.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Delta Dental Company Information