Delta Dental
1.57/5
Based on 82 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Delta Dental

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

231 Delta Dental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

We have had a terrible time dealing with Delta Dental. We have been given incorrect information during multiple calls, and conveniently, no notes were made in their system about the phone calls. We were clearly told that my daughter was covered under my plan, so her individual plan was not necessary. She went to the dentist and we received a bill months later because she did NOT have coverage. They have transferred us to supervisors and not explained the circumstances despite assuring us that they would, so we have had to explain the situation over and over again. They are not willing to help, but admit that the person was wrong about her being covered. They are awful!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I am writing this review as a warning to anyone considering a purchase of Delta Dental Insurance of New Jersey. I purchased a policy on 1/11/18, and decided to cancel it after learning that my dentist would work with me on the price of his services, which turned out to be lower than Delta Dental. I faxed a letter to Delta Dental requesting a cancellation of my policy on 1/30/18. I then received a letter from them explaining that my policy could NOT be cancelled until 1/31/19! So I have to keep paying $60.00 monthly for a policy I WILL NOT USE!

I called customer service on 2/16/18, to dispute this, and was basically told that I am out of luck. I mentioned that I will be eligible for Medicare in May of this year, and then was told that that qualifies as a major life event, and THEN I can cancel the policy! So until then, I am out $240.00? What's up with that? How can they just take your money like that? I was told that they have a time limit of 10 days if someone decides they don't want a purchased policy, so I guess the 18 days I waited was too long to be considered. BUYER BEWARE!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I cancelled my dental insurance with these folks as I had moved to Fla and Humana has a much better deal. I was told that probably could not stop the automatic bank account withdrawal for the coming month but would send me a refund for payment on a cancellation of the account. The rep said I would have a check in three weeks or a credit to my account. That was December 26, 2017. Today, February 13, 2018, I called them to see where the money was and was told it would be 8-10 weeks. I was told the first rep was wrong. This rep was obstinate and arrogant to boot. I talked with bank and they said they have problems with Delta on numerous occasions. I think they believe most people forget. I don’t so will file a fraud complaint against them. Quick to take your funds but not quick to refund when they overcharge a customer. That’s obscene! Be aware when doing business with this outfit.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I got a bill from my dentist for 3 fillings that I believed would be covered, at least in part, by the Delta dental plan had had and not used for the previous 10 months I had it and was paying for it. Nope. Not covered because there was a 1 yr waiting period for anything besides cleanings and exams! Is there any point in paying an entire year for something you can't use? I hate being swindled and Delta is a master at taking your money for nothing.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I am writing an article about Delta Dental insurance. This is what happened to me. I bought a policy through the ACA. I called the company, was referred to a dentist. When I learned I needed dental treatment I called Delta Dental again and asked about the cost of said treatment and got an estimate. Today, after having the work done, I was told that because I am an adult, they don't cover any dental services. I am an adult, I have no children. That is all listed in my plan. I think this is fraud. When I called the ACA people, they agreed. I cannot be the only person to have been through this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

ARRP Delta Dental allows 3 cleanings per year, probably because of the link between. Oral health and heart disease. Permits flexible scheduling, you see a dentist on half of the hygienist appointments. Premium have options.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Delta may have been the best dental carrier around but they were purchased by Horizon and now they come up with any reason not to pay. I needed a re-treatment (not uncommon) and they refused to pay my dentist for no reason. In fact, they tried to blame him for the re-treatment which could not be further from the truth. Be careful with them. They will not pay if there is any way they can point to a policy clause anywhere even it is of no relevance and refuse to pay. Be careful... Do not trust ever.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Do not waste your money on this plan (DeltaCare USA). I have never been so disappointed with an insurance plan. It is horrible. It only covers the worst facilities and doctors and most do not perform specialty work like root canals on your molars. And the ones that do, have horrendous reviews and we're miles from my residence. At the end of the day it really only covers decent dentists to get my teeth cleaned. You can pay less out of pocket to go get your teeth clean than the premiums. Hope this helps someone looking to make the right choice on dental insurance.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I signed up for Delta Dental after talking to sales reps who said there is a 6-month waiting period. Ordered insurance Jan 1st 2017, went to the dentist in June 2017. Got a full bill for $500 saying didn't complete waiting period. It's actually 1 year, except in certain cases in certain states if you can find and read all the fine print. While it is an insurance company, and we all know we're going to get ripped off to pay their executives and shareholders, they actively in the business of tricking you. If you choose to go with Delta Dental of Colorado, make sure you do your own research, get everything in writing, note the people you talk to (they always conveniently forget to record those conversations on the phone) and when. Not a transparent or necessarily trustworthy insurance company (no surprises).

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I am under my wife's plan. I called in to switch to my dentist instead of hers...and they made it exceedingly difficult even though both dentists take their insurance. I had to be on hold for 30 minutes. This is the slowest customer service I have ever had to endure. It is unacceptable to treat customers this way, so disrespectful of our time.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

As a Pastor, I needed dental insurance so I went with Delta Dental. Been with them less than a month, I have serious problems. Been trying to change providers for 3 months now- November of 2017. Done so by email and phone, with the promise that it has been done. Not so. Two providers are about the same distance from me. One, however, is an awful place. I will not go back. I would have canceled during open enrollment had they not misled me into believing the provider was changed. Multiple times I have been mislead that the change was made. How Delta Dental is still in business is beyond me! I have made one final request for the change, if not done in a few days, I will be filing a complaint with the Insurance Board in Florida. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE A POLICY FROM THIS COMPANY... YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Paid for 2018 dental coverage as addition to UCare for Seniors. In searching for a provider, have found the list of providers is padded. For instance, a dentist in Minneapolis Downtown Skyway only accepts those "grandfathered in." Woman who answered the phone at a popular clinic on Snelling Avenue in St. Paul said no longer accept Civic Smiles, & was so upset at the thought of the plan that she then abruptly hung up. Worst of all, found that Hennepin County Medical Center Dental for years has only pulled teeth, & only for very poor patients. Appears as deliberate fraud to list them as a clinic for UCare subscribers to have check-ups, cleanings, fillings & oral surgery. UCare takes no responsibility, as they've contracted-out to Delta. Forget about appealing to Delta. How did they pull-off an A+ rating with the MN BBB?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Short and sweet, these guys suck. Multiples Delta Dental offices in every state make things confusing. I had these yahoos on the phone with my dentist's billing department twice and they couldn't figure out how to verify my information. It took 5 months for a payment to be made, for a tooth cleaning. I'm embarrassed when I go to the dentist because of what a pain in the neck these guys were. My dentist deals with billing insurance companies and they'd never had such a hard time with anyone else, ever. I filed a grievance and they answered it by claiming to have addressed the made up claims I filed. Do whatever you can to NOT work these jerks and losers.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I took out a policy with Delta Dental over two years ago. I don't have issues with standard coverage. I read and understood what my coverage was. The problem and complaint that I have is with the coverage of a dental crown on a dental implant. My coverage was clear that they do not cover the cost of the implant but stated on my policy under limitation on Major Benefits - note 6. Delta Dental will not pay for implants (artificial teeth implanted into or on bone or gums), their removal or other associated procedures, but Delta Dental will credit the cost of a crown or standard complete or partial denture toward the cost of the implant associated appliance, I.e. the implant supported crown or denture.

So they refused to pay on the crown that was added to the implant. I made four calls to Delta but had no help in understanding why they are stating they do but they will not pay. They said the clause doesn't mean implants in gum or bone. I am astounded that they are totally advertising and yet not paying. I have been with the company for three years at 32.00 per month. I am totally dissatisfied and feel this company misrepresented their policy. I have canceled and considering legal actions.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I had work done on July 27, and I still have not been paid. I've called 25 times, excuse after excuse, I even called before treatment. Look out for Delta Dental insurance, the state of Ca. dental association sued and won a case in 2017. I think there should be a nationwide class action suit against Delta dental, it is owned by Aetna, they should be held liable too.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I got the estimate of benefits from Delta Dental which clearly indicates on how much they are going to cover. So I got the procedure done, after I got the procedure done and my dental provider billed Delta Dental, Delta Dental denied the claim. They said I need to first go through my health insurance (nowhere was this indicated in the estimate) and if health insurance denied it, they would surely pay what was indicated in the estimate. I made many calls between my dentist and the health insurance, and finally got my health care insurance to give them a call. NOW they are claiming that the tooth was extracted so the claim was denied and they will not pay for it. Huh? this was all clearly itemized in the initial estimate request. Horrible company. How can you not honor what you estimated? Isn't there law against this?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I went into the Delta Dental website to try and get ID cards, find my policy number, and find a local dentist. The website kept displaying an error message that I needed to include my city and state. Well both of those were included. This got to be a huge time consuming issue. Then trying to get ID's is a bit shady. They suggest you go into a dental office and give the secretaries the chore of determining a person's coverage. This to me is awful! Then the policy number is supposed to be a person's social. Well when I tried to register for an account online, the screen kept showing mine as wrong. I want a refund of all money my job has taken out to pay for this. This is wasteful!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

My husband lost his job 8 months ago. We had a great insurance and couldn't afford staying with Cobra. My employer took me on his insurance and offered Delta Dental PPO. We read everything and it sounded wonderful. We went for a family cleaning and checkup to our dentist of 13 years. (We found out - out of network) A cleaning is only covered at 79 and nothing else. My son had a cavity covered at 25.— The dentist bill for cleaning used to be about 25.— per person. This time it is about 400.— for the family. What can I do? Nothing and I won't change dentist. Not happy at all.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I first entered DeltaCare (a Delta Dental product) through the Healthcare Exchange. I just went to one of their recommended dentists. Before I could be seen, I paid a $20 co-pay. Out of a $260 bill for a thorough cleaning and x-rays, the insurance paid $20! I've been referred to an endodontist for a root canal. When I called for the appointment, I was told they do not accept DeltaCare, only Delta Dental PPO. So I looked up endodontists on Delta Dental's website for their DeltaCare product. I live in a major city, and there are only 10 endodontists who accept DeltaCare -- and five of those are with "Dental Health Group" (which turns out to be Great Expressions Dental Centers). The reviews on many DeltaCare's endodontists are bad. And at least one reviewer reported that the office had to fight the insurance company for payment.

I am now actually afraid to go to one of these doctors. I mean, how bad do they have to be to accept DeltaCare when the overwhelming majority of doctors in the city will not. I've been paying on a worthless product for over a year and a half!!! I should have saved the cash and saved it toward dental work. The premiums I've been paying were apparently a giveaway to a major insurance company. I hope they enjoyed the gift.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Dental expenses are just as bad as all other medical expenses and our teeth are No exception to what is important to us. With this in mind, there are some of us who have dental problems that stemmed from childbirth. My family members have had dental problems most of their lives and I am following them with this problem. My teeth are bad, I have lost nearly half of them and when it comes to eating meals, it takes me twice as long as others as I have no chewing teeth at all. Delta Dental says it will cover only $1000.00 per year for our dental needs when some of our needs costs are insanely high.

For example, I had an examination a week ago and the end results were enough to make me sit down and take note. I need four implants, four crowns and two teeth pulled. The end bill for all of this work, over a period of time, totaled a whopping $24,087.00!!! The write off was a few thousand dollars and in the end, I would have to pay around $19,000.00 when all was said and done. And, this did not include any molar implants which normally are not done. Delta Dental only pays $1000.00?? They gladly take our money on a monthly basis but they are acutely reluctant to offer any respectable assistance to such bills as what I mentioned above. What good is this insurance company if it can't help their policyholders? Delta Dental is worthless, they are a Rip Off and should be put out of business.

Our medical insurance is great, it covers 80 percent of our medical needs and therefore, Delta Dental should follow their lead, at least to a respectable level. If not, they should be shut down completely!!! Dental care is NOT as expensive as serious medical issues and our mouths are extremely important to our health. We Need to be able to Eat!!! If I can't find a resolve, I will have no teeth left at all in five years. This is the diagnosis of my dental conditions from the professionals. I can NOT afford such dental restructuring such as those who are in, at least, the upper middle class to the wealthy. Why is the cost for dental so insanely high when there is so little to be done?? For what I need, I can go out and purchase a new vehicle for what I would have to pay for my needs.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Delta Dental wanted my wife to change to a high plan dental insurance so a particular operation could be covered. We went along with this about a year ago. When it came time for the operation they made the accusation that the plan that we purchased wouldn't cover it. The money we could have saved from paying for the dental insurance would have been better than paying for an insurance that treats you as a naive idiot. The company should pay for the service and be pleased to do so. By writing this I hope that others will just say no; I'll get a loan from the bank to get the operation if I need to.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Delta Dental gave me a fax back saying a patient was eligible for her insurance and we did not collect her money upfront because she was eligible, then 2 months went by and we contacted Delta Dental asking why they did not pay for this claim? They said she was not covered on the date of service because she had not paid her monthly premium. THIS IS JUST WRONG!!! We as providers do everything we can to get paid by this big money making insurance company and they do everything to make it hard on the providers. Delta should be having to chase down the patient for the money that they told us we would get paid for, not me!!! Insurance companies has a racket going on and small businesses are suffering for their negligence. You made the error but they are passing the buck to the provider to make up for their mistakes. SHAME ON YOU!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

We purchased dental insurance through Delta for our small business. After a long delay, we were told on 10/23 that were approved and would receive a welcome kit in 10-15 days. The negative part is that we were charged for a full month starting 10/1, even though there is no chance of using the coverage in October. When I pushed back and asked to have the start date on 11/1, Maria ** of Allied Administrators said management wouldn't approve it. Essentially we've paid a month for absolutely nothing and they could care less.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I'm on Medicare and needed to apply for an individual dental insurance plan. I applied to Delta Dental. First, I printed out the application form by hand (it includes personal ID info of SS and DOB) and mailed it, certified mail, to Delta Dental on August 11, 2017. As of September 8 received no response, so called my local post office to track delivery. They said it had been delivered to Delta on August 14. So I called customer service on Sept. 8 and the rep told me he'd check with the enrollment dept. to see if they'd received it but not yet entered it. Gave him my cell phone number.

No response back so I called again on September 13 and enrolled by phone, once again giving out my PII. Once again, no response. So I called again on October 5 and spoke to a rep; She said if I'd enrolled by phone it should be in the system. She put me on hold and then said she'd put me in touch with a 'team coordinator' and we hung up. About 20 minutes later she called me back to ask what plan I wanted to enroll in. She read me the communication she'd send to the supervisor, and she did take down my comments accurately. But as of 10/20 no communication, so today I enrolled online with a Delta competitor and was able to get the transaction done in less than a half hour without putting my PII at risk.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017 I changed jobs earlier this year and my employer only has Delta Dental for their employee’s dental plan. The dentist says I need some work done and tells me the dental insurance doesn't even cover most of it, whereas other dental insurance companies cover around 80% of the work I need, Delta doesn't even cover 50%!!!

After my first visit getting checkup and a cleaning, I started getting invoices emailed to me from Delta Dental about charges not paid. I took this information to the dentist’s office and they told me that I should NEVER be getting a bill for ANYTHING from the insurance company, and that what they were sending me bills for was procedures that are always written off, they just have to be noted on the insurance for legal reasons... But the patient is never supposed to be charged or sent invoices for these procedures and the billing person at the dentist’s office said the insurance company knows this.

I emailed Delta Dental and told them what the dentist’s billing person told me and they continued to send me bills for these procedures that had already been written off by the dentist’s office. I wrote them a letter and told them to stop sending me bills for something that was written off by the dentist or I would be talking to a lawyer. Apparently you have to threaten them with a lawyer to get them to do what they should have done in the first place! Not only do they have severely LOUSY coverage, Delta obviously has monkeys working in their billing offices. Unfortunately, this is the only coverage my employer offers, so I'm stuck with the migraine of having to deal with these idiots every time I go to the dentist’s office. WORTHLESS insurance company!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My company plan with Delta Dental says Implants are cover. My dentist has sent them x-rays, chart notes and filled out all the paperwork. Delta Dental refuses to pay. My company assigned me an advocate ~ everything is correctly filed and my plan covers Implants. My company cannot force Delta Dental to pay even though they have the coverage under our plan. Delta Dental is not honoring their contract.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Delta Dental is the absolute worst. They will switch your claim from a white filling to a silver filling so they can pay out far less. They informed me my plan doesn't cover white fillings; who is still filling with toxic silver??? And since when does dental coverage pick through which types of services they should cover!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have had an AARP Delta Dental. I pay $68 a month. For the past year they have refused to honor a $1200 Claim. They lied and said the Dentist refused to provide his charts and x-rays. I was provided proof that the dentist did indeed provide the information. It appears they had no intention of paying the claim and strung me along with a chain of lies for a year. I complained to State Insurance Commission and am awaiting the outcome. I've finally decided Delta Dental is a scam. They only want to collect premiums but have no intentions of honoring claims.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

My top 2 front teeth began to break off in pieces this May 2017. Dentist said I'd need 3 crowns--2 for those teeth and one molar. I used to be bulimic. He could not bind them a 3rd time. X-rays were sent off; took a month to hear from Delta; they approved 1 root canal! Dentist tried again. Same **. The teeth break further, so he does the root canal last week. Tonight, I have a follow up appointment. Just brushed my teeth and saw that the filling/bonding he did is breaking off again. There's nothing there. He also said that because the teeth continued to fall apart, that he would submit x-rays and a treatment plan a 3rd time. If these near-useless cretins won't pay, what recourse do I have? They are almost useless.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Was told to get Delta Dental via the Veterans Admin. Been approx. a year now and they really don't cover much, but do not have any trouble collecting monthly fee while rejecting claims. Planning on cancelling service and would not recommend any veteran to apply for this service.

Delta Dental Plans Association expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Delta Dental, a pure-play dental insurer, is one of the largest dental insurance providers in the country. The company dates back to the 1950s and is committed to expanding access to oral healthcare.

• An extensive network: Delta Dental operates in all 50 states.

• Plan variety: Nearly every type of dental insurance is offered by Delta Dental, along with unique plans tailored to unique customers. Discount plans are not offered.

• Cost-control measures: Delta Dental has negotiated contracts with reputable dentists across the country.

• Transparency: Customers can check claims history, estimate costs, review benefits and more on the website.

• ACA-compliant: Delta Dental plans are available under the Affordable Care Act on the federal health care exchange.

• Affinity: Administers the AARP Dental Insurance Plan.

• Best for: Delta Dental is good for families looking for cost-effective dental care and businesses looking to provide coverage for workers.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy

Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Delta Dental Company Information

Delta Dental Plans Association
www.deltadental.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use