Delta Dental

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Delta Dental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Need better coverage for flippers and temporary fixes. Also need to be more helpful with implants and grafting. Customer service is hit and miss. Overall, the Clear Plan they offer may be the best, as there is no way for the company to back down for any coverage, since all coverage and copays are in black and white.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

They pay for almost everything. Last time I was there to have a tooth pulled and cut out. They paid all but 67 dollars. This insurance is well worth it. I have had them for over 10 years. They are the best and will not change.

Get buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I have Medicare and Delta Dental is terrific. I no longer have "sticker shock" pricing... reasonable charges for expected situations. I had a 20 yr. old crown that came loose. And I walked out of the dentist office with $0 charge! I have regular annual maintenance which is very reasonable. I'm so happy again, to see the dentist. I'm 61 years old, and smiling again!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I am happy that I have this service since Dental costs are so high. I think they cover the basics really well, but when it comes to a really big procedure like a crown or root canal, they cover around 50% or so. This certainly helps, but considering the cost is usually around $1200, it still leaves me with a significant bill.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

The best of the best. If it wasn’t for the coverage I get and the ease to use it everywhere I go I’d have real teeth problems. The coverage is the best I’ve ever had in my life. The ease of using it surpasses any I’ve had. Never turned away from any dentist. I have visited free cleanings 4 times a year, free X-rays and 50 percent off crowns, 80 percent fillings. It’s dirt cheap so my teeth are very well taken care of. They wouldn’t with others I had in the past. I can’t say enough great things about them except thanks.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I have wasted dozens of hours of my life trying to get very simple bills paid through Delta Dental. My dental office has also reported, in their words, a "nightmare" trying to work with the company. It's hard to tell whether their agents are inept or the company is just unable to function due to poor management. My dentist is in-network, but Delta continues to treat them as out-of-network. During the pandemic, I received checks--without Delta ever explaining what they were for or as a baseline, including a note stating what they were for--for these supposed "out-of-network" services. I thought these were refunds, because a few companies, including my university and BCBS, gave refunds during the pandemic because people couldn't visit the doctor.

Turns out that Delta was not paying my dentist, and suddenly, I was faced with thousands of dollars of back bills from my dentist. My dentist said that they had mind-numbing conversations with Delta trying to get them to get all of their dentists in the office listed as "in-network." They were totally sick of talking with them! It literally took about 12 phone calls made by me and my husband trying to straighten this out. They told me, today even, that they have no way of viewing in their system which bills are outstanding. WHAT? And their customer service agents have ranged from being ineffective to outright rude.

Today, an agent got testy with me when I tried to explain that I was calling to pay my bill, and she said that they do not take payments at all. I stand in my kitchen now, staring at a bill that has to be paid. If you have any ability at all to NOT choose Delta, I recommend that. If you're stuck with them, as I am, just try to avoid having to deal with them whatsoever.

Original review: April 22, 2022

Just the normal. Happy to take your $$$, hand over fist, for shoddy care and services and labyrinthine, tortuous and torturous customer service, hoping that you die before they ever have to connect with, help you, or resolve an issue.

Original review: March 15, 2022

I have used Delta Dental in the past and have been happy about the coverages. After renewing my policy and not looking at the coverages, which have changed, I realized it is no longer worth the money. I pay a total of $148 a year which is good. However, it literally covers nothing. I got my teeth cleaned and had to pay a $65 deductible. The cleaning without insurance would have been $95 so I've already overpaid by $118. I also had a crown replaced. They covered zero. So I will be cancelling this for not only myself, but for my family members.

Original review: March 7, 2022

I have had Delta Dental insurance for several years. Since covid and in 2021 and 2022, every-time I have submitted a valid claim, they delayed payment for unreasonable reasons. They have made it much more difficult to reach a representative to talk to. I had to call them multiple times in-order to process a claim. Claim rejected with no reasons and they have tried in every possible way to make it more difficult to receive payment for a valid claim. I believe something has changed and there may be bases for legal actions about this company. Delta used to a good insurance company but I don't recommend them anymore.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I have Delta Dental through my employer and also as an individual policy. I thought this would be advantageous due to needing a lot of dental work. All they do is deny my estimates, even on appeal, I am denied. They state that they do not cover "erosion". But when the enamel on your teeth is "eroded" to the point of being unable to tolerate hot or cold or air you can't say you have good dental health. My dentist staff has diligently applied, appealed, resent information over and over and each time the work is denied by Delta. What is the point? For 20$ a month my dentist will do cleanings and X Rays and take 20% off fillings or any other work that is needed. That is better and much less headache than Delta. Insurance companies have ruined healthcare in this country. I'm cancelling Delta tonight and am glad to be rid of them.

Delta Dental Plans Association author review by Cyril Tuohy

Delta Dental, a pure-play dental insurer, is one of the largest dental insurance providers in the country. The company dates back to the 1950s and is committed to expanding access to oral healthcare.

• An extensive network: Delta Dental operates in all 50 states.

• Plan variety: Nearly every type of dental insurance is offered by Delta Dental, along with unique plans tailored to unique customers. Discount plans are not offered.

• Cost-control measures: Delta Dental has negotiated contracts with reputable dentists across the country.

• Transparency: Customers can check claims history, estimate costs, review benefits and more on the website.

• ACA-compliant: Delta Dental plans are available under the Affordable Care Act on the federal health care exchange.

• Affinity: Administers the AARP Dental Insurance Plan.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Advisor

Cyril Tuohy has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Delta Dental Company Information