Delta Dental

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Delta Dental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I moved from Iowa to Texas and was told I needed a new policy. I thought I was transferring my policy. I went to my dentist and he told me I had a 6 month waiting period. No one at either company told me about this and, in fact, agents from both companies said I should not have a waiting period as long as I provided a "Proof of coverage" letter, which I did. I filed a grievance with Delta Dental of Texas. Yesterday an agent called me and read from a policy that I was neither shown or provided that I did have a waiting period. Delta Dental advertises "No wait policies." I feel like I am a victim of deceptive business practices. This may not be illegal but it certainly should be.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

Their member portal is always broken and very hard to find in the first place. Once you find it, it gives you the option of monthly auto payments or a one time payment. The auto payments never work, and the one time payment has you fill out your card info every time and then just shows a blank screen. I have to call customer service every time to pay my bill because their website is such convoluted garbage.

Get buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I was so excited that my dentist recommended Delta Dental and being an AARP member I decided to join their PPO plan. My husband needed an urgent dental procedure done and his dentist, who accepts Delta Dental, told him there is a 12-month waiting period for the insurance to kick in. By then we had cancelled our 20-year dental coverage with CareFirst, so we were quite shocked to hear this. I went through the new member welcome materials and there is no mention of a so-called "waiting period". My husband, an attorney, said we've been defrauded. We paid their $150 enrollment fee only to be told we can't use our insurance for one year. Really? I am more than mad, I feel we've been taken and I plan to contact Delta's corporate legal department. Please, please don't switch to Delta.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I have DD through my employer. I’m 34 and have hypodontia/congenitally missing mandibular second pre molar teeth. My mother had the same condition and her tooth finally fell out when she was about 50. I have 2 and the one on my right side is starting to die and become loose. I will need it pulled and require a bone graft in order to anchor either a bridge or an implant, as there is no adult tooth under it. So if this is a congenital defect, why then won’t DD cover an implant/bridge??? Who needs teeth right? They don’t care about teeth or health, they care about money! $$$ What a joke!!!

Original review: July 22, 2020

I have DeltaCare through work. This is a managed care plan offered by Delta Dental. After trying two different dentists I've had four appointments for a basic cleaning that the dentist offices have found a reason to not honor in the past six months. One was due to COVID so I get it. But the others have been canceled because 1) they made the appointment with the wrong office, 2) they say they can't get claims approved by Delta (the managed care plan pays them every month, they shouldn't be filing claims), and 3) they need time to establish me with the insurance company (by that point I was on the patient roster sent from the Delta for the past four months straight). This is the biggest racket. Delta Dental takes my and my employer's money, they funnel some of it to the dentist, and the dentist just finds excuses for why they can't keep my appointment. DO NOT GET DELTA DENTAL INSURANCE.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I have been paying my dental Insurance with Delta Dental every month of this year, even though I was unable to get any dental appointments for several months due to the coronavirus pandemic. Delta Dental did not and has not offered any discounts on my monthly payments during this time. My car insurance even gave me a discount.

Original review: June 24, 2020

Wish I could give them a zero star rating. They count visits outside of my contracted policy. They should be investigated for insurance fraud. How can you count a visit when I had and contracted them to cover me during the time outside of my year policy. Someone on a review them and prevent this fraud from happening.

Original review: June 2, 2020

After going to Aspen Dental and they couldn't fit my Parcels correctly. I return them. They returned my portion of the money and Delta Dental portion of the money. Somehow Delta Dental says they have not received the check. It has been over 2 months and they still can't find them money. So I have to go 2 months without being able to see a dentist. I called Delta Dental again today still no answer. How can Delta Dental loose a check there must be some kind of embezzlement within this company

Original review: May 19, 2020

Dentegra is Delta Dental insurance sold through the health exchange in Washington. They charge a few hundred dollars a year and provide no benefits. What a scam! Their benefits docs are very confusing and misleading - the Benefits Summary on my account on their own website says they cover restorative services (cavities) at 50% and onlays at 50%, but now they're telling me they don't cover that at all. The only reason to pay for Dentegra was to get partial coverage of these very expensive, yet necessary dental procedures. If they're not going to actually cover anything useful, this scam insurance should not be offered through the WA Health Exchange (or really at all). I am escalating the claim through deltadentalins.com grievances procedure but that takes 30-60 days and I don't expect them to do the right thing about their misleading benefits summary which says they cover things that they don't cover.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Delta Dental Insurance is at the best, extremely disorganized, and at the worst downright deceptive. We paid our family our four premiums on time and in full for an entire year and the ONE TIME we used our coverage for one simple teeth cleaning with a dentist they referred me to, they wouldn't cover it. What!? It was supposed to be covered at 100% as specified by the plan, but they literally denied it and wanted me to "prove" that they gave me the dentist's name!! What in the world? Don't bother with this insurance. It is useless.

Delta Dental Plans Association author review by Cyril Tuohy

Delta Dental, a pure-play dental insurer, is one of the largest dental insurance providers in the country. The company dates back to the 1950s and is committed to expanding access to oral healthcare.

• An extensive network: Delta Dental operates in all 50 states.

• Plan variety: Nearly every type of dental insurance is offered by Delta Dental, along with unique plans tailored to unique customers. Discount plans are not offered.

• Cost-control measures: Delta Dental has negotiated contracts with reputable dentists across the country.

• Transparency: Customers can check claims history, estimate costs, review benefits and more on the website.

• ACA-compliant: Delta Dental plans are available under the Affordable Care Act on the federal health care exchange.

• Affinity: Administers the AARP Dental Insurance Plan.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Delta Dental Company Information