Find a Dental Insurance partner

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Delta Dental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

The best of the best. If it wasn’t for the coverage I get and the ease to use it everywhere I go I’d have real teeth problems. The coverage is the best I’ve ever had in my life. The ease of using it surpasses any I’ve had. Never turned away from any dentist. I have visited free cleanings 4 times a year, free X-rays and 50 percent off crowns, 80 percent fillings. It’s dirt cheap so my teeth are very well taken care of. They wouldn’t with others I had in the past. I can’t say enough great things about them except thanks.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I have been with Delta Dentist for over 20 years. They have been there for me through all my dental work. They are also there for my family. With all the procedures they have paid on time which keeps me from waiting to be seen by the doctor. They even help me from being overcharged on so braces. I received the cost of the braces from the doctor and when Dental Dentist sent me the breakdown of how much who pays what, I was being overcharged $1000.00. I thank them for that. They have been a great company to work with.though far.

Get buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2021

This is one of two options of dental insurance through my employer. The other one wasn't accepted anywhere near me so went with Delta Dental. Our plan covers 80% on a lot of treatments and two cleanings per calendar year. There is a monthly copay and an annual deductible. The two cleanings are covered up to a cap amount, any cost over that is out of my pocket. So read the fine print as with all insurances. This year Delta Dental is covering the extra cost of PPE. However we missed out on a cleaning in 2020 due to covid closures. So I wonder how much money Delta Dental didn't have to pay for on missed cleanings. And I still had to pay full price for all of our insurance deductibles, copays, and the remaining 20%. I don't have much experience with other dental insurance. Without insurance through my employer we probably would not get dental care because we could not afford it.

Original review: March 5, 2021

There are a few different plans with Delta Dental. My plan allows for three cleanings a year and you don't have to wait four months between them. The premium is about what the dentist would charge if I paid cash; however, the real payoff is if and when you need additional services. We've had a few of those and the discount helps make root canals, cavity fills, etc more affordable. I really like the monthly charge to my credit card and knowing that I have coverage. NOTE: If you currently have dental insurance, be sure to have your new plan start when the old plan ends or you may have to go a year before it covers any additional services.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

We have had Delta Dental for over 32 yrs. We have never had a problem with claims being paid. With 2 adults and 7 kids having everything from cleanings, fillings, wisdom teeth pulls, braces and dentures that says a lot. I never even had to contact them once. Every type of dentist and oral surgeon our family has been to always say Delta is the best company to work with on their end. I definitely would recommend.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I've noticed that there are some glowing reviews of Delta, and many more negative reviews. Why? I think part of the discrepancy may be due to the 2 forms of ins. they offer, one is thru employer, the other for individual. So, since I've never had it thru my employer, I can only speak to my experience procuring individual "insurance". As such, I'd recommend stay away from them. One thing that should alert your ** detector right off the bat is that they do not allow you to dis-enroll for one year, in other words you must pay them premiums for a full year. That is nonsense, I've never heard of any ins. that does not allow you to "cancel at any time". Only Delta. So after I subscribed for a year (while wondering why they didn't really pay much even for cleanings), I started year two.

I had one cleaning at an orthodontist and then found out (about a month later after their leisurely decision making process) that they would not pay because the ortho was "too good" or too professional. What? Too good? So anyway, finally I was fed up with them and called to cancel. Can't do! Not allowed! Delta was pulling monthly premiums from my credit card, an 'automated' pull. So I finally realized hey I can just change my card numbers, ask the card company to issue me a new card, and they did, end of a very unpleasant experience. In the end, why pay for this bogus "insurance", just pay your dentist if you trust that your dentist is charging you a reasonable rate (true, in this time many charges seem arbitrary and overinflated). Dental ins. unless it's through an employer is something of a rip-off in our country. Wait and hope that Biden can push through legislation to have it covered under Medicare, it's our only chance.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Delta care USA is the worst plan I have had in my career. Thought it was normal dental insurance. It only covers Aspen Dental or Great Expressions. I don’t want the McDonalds of dentistry. Going to get a cleaning and run from this plan next enrollment.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

DeltaCare USA is the worst dental plan I've used. When I signed up for the plan I was told maintenance visits were free, but after I went for a dental visit they would charge me $30 copay for teeth cleaning and x-ray. They don't allow you to just go to any dentist in their network. Instead they would assign one for you. When I needed to use another dentist, I had to call them several times to get reassigned. First they got the new dentist's fax wrong, then their phone line couldn't understand my enrollee ID, then they got the facility code of the new dentist wrong. It was horrible and frustrating. Do yourself a favor and don't use them!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Most, if not all, providers on list have the lowest reviews. My experience with two different providers is that they have extremely inflated prices and find dental “needs” that do not exist. My estimate from one: $7000 worth of work needed (1 year after having everything check out fine). Another: full set of x-rays yet “don’t know” was the angered answer to my asking if there were cavities - after I told him I wanted no cosmetic work done at the time. After three tries I still don’t have new cards requested.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Need better coverage for flippers and temporary fixes. Also need to be more helpful with implants and grafting. Customer service is hit and miss. Overall, the Clear Plan they offer may be the best, as there is no way for the company to back down for any coverage, since all coverage and copays are in black and white.

Delta Dental Plans Association author review by Cyril Tuohy

Delta Dental, a pure-play dental insurer, is one of the largest dental insurance providers in the country. The company dates back to the 1950s and is committed to expanding access to oral healthcare.

• An extensive network: Delta Dental operates in all 50 states.

• Plan variety: Nearly every type of dental insurance is offered by Delta Dental, along with unique plans tailored to unique customers. Discount plans are not offered.

• Cost-control measures: Delta Dental has negotiated contracts with reputable dentists across the country.

• Transparency: Customers can check claims history, estimate costs, review benefits and more on the website.

• ACA-compliant: Delta Dental plans are available under the Affordable Care Act on the federal health care exchange.

• Affinity: Administers the AARP Dental Insurance Plan.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Delta Dental Company Information