Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage
Delta Dental
3.02/5

Delta Dental

Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage

Delta Dental Reviews

Original review: July 25, 2019

We were satisfied with the service they offered us. Very nice environment, very friendly, organize. They were nice to their patient. I will recommend the Bright Now Dental to all my co-worker, and family and friends.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Great coverage with no co-pay for preventative services such as X-rays and cleanings. Insurance cost was really reasonable as I purchased thru my employer and the network dentist is less than 5 miles away from my home!

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Well as we have used the dental insurance more than once it’s been very helpful talking to customer service and prices they quoted were very accurate once we saw the dentist. So we were more prepared in expectations instead of the ‘guess work’ from previous plans? I’ve been more than pleased and have also renewed it for 2019 thru my husband's insurance plan? Would recommend this company to anybody too.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I love Delta Dental. Have had for 20 years+. I was ecstatic when I found it became available for military retirees. Even though now I have to pay a premium. I like being able to coordinate benefits with my wife’s carrier. Our network dentist have always been top notch.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have been a customer for 8 years & love the great coverage and the great job DELTA DENTAL is doing. Please keep up the good work. Thanks for everything and please keep the cost down like you have been doing because my family and I really appreciate it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I was with Delta Dental of California when I worked for Boeing, and they were fine. Foolishly, after I retired, I thought that it would be the same on a private plan. It has not been so. I had two plans with Delta. One was with Kaiser Advantage (which I never used as I wanted to stay with the dentist I had been seeing for two decades). The second was a premium plan obtained through BAI that should have permitted me to use my current dentist.

At one point, my wife needed extensive bridgework. The Kaiser Delta plan refused to pay because we had not gone to the assigned dentist (which I had no issue with). However, after the Kaiser Delta plan refused to pay, Delta did not process under the premium (second) plan for months, then claimed that the submittal period had elapsed (because of THEIR administrative delays) and steadfastly refused to pay on the SECOND plan.

All in all, I paid in several thousand dollars in premiums for no net benefit when it came to cost-savings. I would have been better off to just have set up an escrow account for dental work and pay with a credit card when work was necessary. I would advise anyone who is considering buying an individual plan to look elsewhere. Delta's business administration is either utterly incompetent (to the insured's detriment) or knowingly unethical. I suspect my experience with the Boeing plan (which was fine) occurred because Delta was afraid of alienating the big customer. For an individual that doesn't pose much threat, they are a pretty miserable outfit to deal with.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Before you sign up as a Delta dental provider, you should know that they don't raise the negotiated fee every 2 years as most insurance companies do. When our office signed up to participate (because they were the military insurance) our write off was 10-15%, now it is more like 30-40%. For example, when a patient comes in for a prophy and exam, our fee is $196 (the practice is in an expensive area). Delta pays $123, and we write off $73. For a crown we write off 1/3, Delta pays 1/3 and the patient pays 1/3. If we had it to do over again we would never participate with Delta. The most recent thing they are doing is downgrading composites to amalgams and paying even less, which means the patient pays more. We have not done amalgams in 25 years.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

They are clearly trying to make the costs and coverage as confusing as possible. That way, when they deny a claim, they hope the person will just pay it out of pocket. More profit for Delta. How about clearly stating, "if you get X service we will pay Y dollars."?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

This is a horrible dentist office. It seems they don't know what they are doing. You always have to wait even when you have an appointment. They left cement between my teeth and told me to come back in a week for a follow up. The office constantly incorrectly bills me and then can't seem to fix the mistake.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I heard rumors, some from medical professionals that Delta Dental declines to make legitimate payments for creative technical reasons or declines to pay after pre-approval. I did not believe it until seeing this page. All of these reviewers cannot be wrong! Delta Dental is delaying pre-approval of a crown. I received a second opinion and now that want notes of the conversation. I phoned the customer service rep and explained that I need to proceed with this treatment and will be. They are causing a hardship and risking further damage to neighboring fillings. I will be notifying the insurance commissioner and the subscriber (my spouse's employer) who is a large hospital in the area.

Contrary to other reviewers, I have always gotten to speak to a real person who was polite to me. I suggest everyone copy/paste your review, print, sign and mail to the insurance commissioner and/or Attorney General in your state. We pay these guys to work for us and they do. It is up to them to determine if Delta Dental is committing Insurance fraud.

Delta Dental Plans Association expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Delta Dental, a pure-play dental insurer, is one of the largest dental insurance providers in the country. The company dates back to the 1950s and is committed to expanding access to oral healthcare.

• An extensive network: Delta Dental operates in all 50 states.

• Plan variety: Nearly every type of dental insurance is offered by Delta Dental, along with unique plans tailored to unique customers. Discount plans are not offered.

• Cost-control measures: Delta Dental has negotiated contracts with reputable dentists across the country.

• Transparency: Customers can check claims history, estimate costs, review benefits and more on the website.

• ACA-compliant: Delta Dental plans are available under the Affordable Care Act on the federal health care exchange.

• Affinity: Administers the AARP Dental Insurance Plan.

• Best for: Delta Dental is good for families looking for cost-effective dental care and businesses looking to provide coverage for workers.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Delta Dental Company Information