2.09/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Delta Dental

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 9, 2017

207 Delta Dental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 9, 2017
I changed jobs earlier this year and my employer only has Delta Dental for their employee’s dental plan. The dentist says I need some work done and tells me the dental insurance doesn't even cover most of it, whereas other dental insurance companies cover around 80% of the work I need, Delta doesn't even cover 50%!!!

After my first visit getting checkup and a cleaning, I started getting invoices emailed to me from Delta Dental about charges not paid. I took this information to the dentist’s office and they told me that I should NEVER be getting a bill for ANYTHING from the insurance company, and that what they were sending me bills for was procedures that are always written off, they just have to be noted on the insurance for legal reasons... But the patient is never supposed to be charged or sent invoices for these procedures and the billing person at the dentist’s office said the insurance company knows this.

I emailed Delta Dental and told them what the dentist’s billing person told me and they continued to send me bills for these procedures that had already been written off by the dentist’s office. I wrote them a letter and told them to stop sending me bills for something that was written off by the dentist or I would be talking to a lawyer. Apparently you have to threaten them with a lawyer to get them to do what they should have done in the first place! Not only do they have severely LOUSY coverage, Delta obviously has monkeys working in their billing offices. Unfortunately, this is the only coverage my employer offers, so I'm stuck with the migraine of having to deal with these idiots every time I go to the dentist’s office. WORTHLESS insurance company!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My company plan with Delta Dental says Implants are cover. My dentist has sent them x-rays, chart notes and filled out all the paperwork. Delta Dental refuses to pay. My company assigned me an advocate ~ everything is correctly filed and my plan covers Implants. My company cannot force Delta Dental to pay even though they have the coverage under our plan. Delta Dental is not honoring their contract.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Delta Dental is the absolute worst. They will switch your claim from a white filling to a silver filling so they can pay out far less. They informed me my plan doesn't cover white fillings; who is still filling with toxic silver??? And since when does dental coverage pick through which types of services they should cover!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have had an AARP Delta Dental. I pay $68 a month. For the past year they have refused to honor a $1200 Claim. They lied and said the Dentist refused to provide his charts and x-rays. I was provided proof that the dentist did indeed provide the information. It appears they had no intention of paying the claim and strung me along with a chain of lies for a year. I complained to State Insurance Commission and am awaiting the outcome. I've finally decided Delta Dental is a scam. They only want to collect premiums but have no intentions of honoring claims.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

My top 2 front teeth began to break off in pieces this May 2017. Dentist said I'd need 3 crowns--2 for those teeth and one molar. I used to be bulimic. He could not bind them a 3rd time. X-rays were sent off; took a month to hear from Delta; they approved 1 root canal! Dentist tried again. Same **. The teeth break further, so he does the root canal last week. Tonight, I have a follow up appointment. Just brushed my teeth and saw that the filling/bonding he did is breaking off again. There's nothing there. He also said that because the teeth continued to fall apart, that he would submit x-rays and a treatment plan a 3rd time. If these near-useless cretins won't pay, what recourse do I have? They are almost useless.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Was told to get Delta Dental via the Veterans Admin. Been approx. a year now and they really don't cover much, but do not have any trouble collecting monthly fee while rejecting claims. Planning on cancelling service and would not recommend any veteran to apply for this service.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Delta Dental is not bad but they have a stupid policy of allowing 2 cleanings a year, 6 months & 1 day apart. As a result, over time, the dates change & the dentist I saw in May I cannot see this year because I leave FL the end of May & my allowed date of cleaning is not until June. Why not allow 2 cleanings per calendar year?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Delta Dental as with other insurances seems to always have a "way out" of paying for something that appears to be covered according to their paperwork. They take a long time when they make a payment to my dentist and it embarrasses me that my dental provider has to wait so long for payment on services he provided me quickly (if I needed it).

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Delta Dental isn't costly but it covers nothing. I waited an entire year and it covered very little, a few dollars out of hundreds.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

My June 13, 2017 dental exam and prophylaxis was initially denied for payment despite my calls to customer service and confirmation. I saw my assigned dentist after the confirmed date of coverage, June 1, 2017. This is faulty claim processing! I have had nothing but issues and misinformation in dealing with DeltaCare!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Delta, through AARP, is a good company but I just wish they'd cover certain tooth implants which would last me my lifetime. Other than that, I'm happy with this company.

Original review: July 31, 2017

As many other reviews have pointed out, Delta Dental is very difficult to work with in general. I have several friends in the dental business and the general consensus is that it is a lot of work to file claims with them and get them to pay. I have had several claims denied for crowns that were medically necessary according to my dentist, cracked teeth, filling failing, infection... but DD denied them. I have been on the phone with them many times as has my dental office to no avail! I will NOT use them in the future.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I signed up for TRICARE Retiree Dental Program through Delta Dental back in February 2017. When I first signed up one of my major questions was, "Is there a waiting period to get anything done." The representative obviously didn't give a ** about me or was trying to make commission because she lied straight her teeth and told me there was no waiting period. Finally I get the chance to schedule a dental appointment and today I find out there is a 12-month waiting period to use this piece of ** insurance contractor to get my caps done that I need. I was lied to and now I am stuck with this piece of ** company for 12 months? I cannot even use the insurance for what I need until February 2018 and you expect me to keep paying $140.00 dollars a month? ** NO.

Original review: July 4, 2017

If I could choose again, I'd rather go without insurance at all. They are horrible with customer service, responding to issues in a timely manner or at all, & all they want to do is take your money. They had no problem taking my monthly payment without providing the services that I am entitled to all because of a 'system error.' For MONTHS I went paying my monthly premium but was denied the use of my policy. I spend months attempting to get it fixed, being on hold for over 45 minutes at a time, and somehow the supervisors were never available or they were the wrong team to handle my issue.

After everything NOT being resolved, not getting any services, and continuously paying my premium, I decided to cancel my useless policy. Yet now after all these months of frustration, I get sent a bill for the months AFTER I canceled my policy. No representatives EVER followed up with my complaints, my concerns, or the ineffectiveness of their system. All they cared was getting their payment but not bothering to make sure their customers get what they paid for. I have already put in a complaint with the BBB, but honestly I wish I never got involved with DeltaCareUSA. I ended up paying for another dentist out of pocket in addition to the monthly premiums I paid and never used.

Original review: June 29, 2017

This company will not provide estimates for service in a timely manner. You need to send the request twice if not three times. Every time my dentist sends in a estimate for treatment they never so call get it. And it is not just my dentist. I thought it was my dentist doing it so I changed and my new dentist is having the same issues as my old dentist. I love having to wait to approve a cracked tooth for treatment.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I thought Delta Dental was good dental coverage, I've had it for 10 years, and had very little problem until the last couple of years. I went to a dentist for work under the impression that my insurance covered at least some of the costs. I have gotten porcelain crowns before, never had issues with insurance paying. This time the dentist office charged me FULL price, and then some. If coverage changed this much, I should have been notified, but I wasn't. Suffice it to say, I am not happy with the coverage and dentist office. I feel like this is a big scam between insurance and dentist.

Original review: June 16, 2017

According to our policy, we are supposed to get $1,000 per kid for orthodontics, but Delta is extremely fond of our money and has gone out of their way to convolute the process as much as possible to ensure that we never see a dime. Long story short, I have submitted claims twice, was told by a rep a few months ago that my orthodontist needed to have some sort of number which he does not. They then contacted my orthodontist directly. I called Delta today, and guess what? They now have NO CLAIM ON FILE. It is as if I never submitted anything. To say that I am furious is an understatement. Thieves and false advertising. I am going to try calling again to see if a different rep might be more helpful and will most likely try submitting a claim a third time but I am not hopeful. They did the same thing to me with the last kid and I just gave up the last time.

Original review: June 14, 2017

Denied coverage for my 4 wisdom teeth to be surgically removed in the hospital. One month later, they "decide" I need it in the hospital. The oral surgeon tried it in the office in January or December and my body literally had a sort of seizure. I'm a 22-year old who has Asperger's. I NEED it to be done in the hospital. They didn't even pay the oral surgeon for the attempt in the dental office.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I was thrilled when Kaiser started offering dental insurance for my CalPers medicare advantage plan. I signed up immediately and paid $14 a month for several months, then I found out what a fraud is. It is not insurance. DeltaCare is just a dental discount plan. They offer you free exam, x-rays and cleaning and then there is a 'discounted list' for other benefits, but the dentists on their list are all corporate chains and they will not do the free cleaning. They want to upsell you to a $1,000 periodontal cleaning and DeltaCare doesn't care one bit. They get their premium so they don't care how badly these dentists rip you off.

My premium is twice what Costco charges for a virtually identical plan. It's less than $80 a year through Costco and close to $180 for the Kaiser plan. Neither plan is worth even $50 a year. It's just an invitation to getting ripped off badly by these shyster dentists. Don't waste your money or your time with these plans. If you see 'DeltaCare' run away as fast as you can.

Original review: May 31, 2017

My husband works for the state of Illinois for almost 30 years and retired five years ago. This is the first time that he has had to have any work done. He needs a crown. However AR dentist and Branson West Missouri Dr. ** and any other dentists are refusing to wait a year or more for their payment from Delta Dental of Illinois, therefore they're requesting that we pay upfront for any work done and then the check will be mailed to the dentist and the dentist will reimbursed us. Why should the check be sent to the dentist if we're paying it out of our own pocket. Is this the way that Delta Dental in the state of Illinois are keeping things off the books that there's trouble like if I did this I would be in prison for insurance fraud.

They take money out of my husband's monthly retirement check for the dental insurance and Illinois is to pay their part. They want almost $1,000 upfront for this crown. We're on a fixed income and I am disabled so exactly how we supposed to come up with the money that the state of Illinois is supposed to be responsible for and why is the check being sent to the dentist and then we wait for the dentist to reimburse us $2,000. As far as I'm concerned the dentist hasn't anything to do with this since we're having to pay upfront because of this situation then Delta Dental should be sending us a check. Of course we'll be waiting almost 2 years just like everybody else.

When is this going to stop. When is enough enough. We need someone to step in and represent us and stop this insurance fraud. Delta Dental of Missouri Illinois of the USA is the worst experience with dentist I've ever experienced in my life!!! First we were told by Delta Dental that the dentist could not request for us to pay that money upfront because they have a contract with the state of Illinois. Then we're told, "Oh yes" they can request it and if there's nothing we could do about it. So what's going on people. If we had $1,000 hanging around for crown, we sure wouldn't be adding this negative review.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Dentists in my area discontinuing participation in my plan. My plan offers a maximum dollar coverage PPO dentists and a maximum dollar amount premier dentists. Last year had to leave dentist that was a PPO. Dentist did not offer coverage for both parts of my plan. Very, very difficult to find a reliable dentist that accepts both parts. In my area I do have a couple of "huge dental groups" such as Delta Dental that accepts both parts of my plan. I have heard many horror stories regarding the competence of the staff. I have also heard the reason dentists are backing from one or both parts of my Delta coverage. It's $$$. If Dentists participate in Delta Dental...they should not have a choice.

Original review: May 25, 2017

The company has never disputed a bill and payment is made sufficiently to the doctor's office. Premiums are reasonably low and % rates are pretty high.

Original review: May 24, 2017

What I cannot understand is the insurance will happily pay for a plate to replace missing teeth, but refuses to give any allowances at all for implants. Plates are bad for the existing teeth that they attach to and slowly ruin them also causing these teeth to be pulled and thus a larger plate made and more teeth ruined and pulled, until eventually the patient is wearing dentures. In the long run that costs more than just replacing the original lost or pulled tooth with an implant. Less money and pain and suffering for the patient, their client. No one wins.

Original review: May 23, 2017

The worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. I accidentally signed up for the HMO instead of the PPO. It was the biggest nightmare. My son is 8 and they assigned him the same dentist as myself, I am 32. When I asked why he was not assigned to a pediatric dentist they told me their insurance policy considers children over the age of 7 to be an adult and do not need to see a pediatric dentist! I was floored, since when is an 8 year old an adult. So I made the appointment with the dentist they assigned him to. I was told they could give me a referral to a pediatric dentist. Which they did, however, the HMO doesn't cover any pediatric dentists in the area. Not even the pediatric dentist that is in the same company/network as the one he was assigned to.

Again I make another appointment as Delta Dental tells me again, he must go to the assigned dentist. At this appointment they are supposed to fill a cavity and he is turned away because he needs to go to a pediatric dentist. If you are counting that is 3 times I had to take off work and to take him to a dentist. Could Delta Dental make this any harder. Now my child has still not been treated by a dentist and Delta Dental still gets paid out of my paycheck every other week! Worst insurance ever!!! Do not use them! Save yourself the headache!

Original review: May 23, 2017

I went to the dentist Feb. 20, 2017 and called Delta Dental to make sure I was covered (the dentist also called) and was told I was covered. They denied the claim and when I call was told they should have paid it and the claim was being resubmitted. That was March... They denied it again. It is now May and I've called them 7 times or more and each time they tell me the claim has been resubmitted to wait up to 30 days. I've explained to them that they always tell me that and nothing ever happens. I've been told a few times ago when I called there was a computer problem and I would have to wait till it was fixed. I explained to them I was on a waiting list for heart surgery and needed to get the dental work completed before the heart surgery.

I now have a temp tooth which is falling apart and don't have the money to get it fixed. I wanted to get it fixed before my heart surgery because I've always heard that bad oral health can lead to heart problems. Now I'm afraid to tell my heart surgeon about my tooth because I think he will delay my much needed heart surgery until it gets fixed. I don't know if I should get a lawyer or even if that would be a option at this point. But I have stressed to Delta Dental I need to get this resolved but they have not and don't show that they even want to resolve it. They keep telling me it should have been covered but for some reason it was denied, then resubmitting the claim.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I went out of country to Dr. ** in Tijuana Mexico for two implants and the total cost was 1/10 of the cost compared to the cost in the USA. The first half of the surgery was completed and I submitted my claim. After waiting the required six month, I returned to Dr. ** in Mexico again to have the implant installed. I again submitted my claims for services rendered on Jan 13th 2017. After multiple telephone calls and multiple letters sent for reimbursement, I finally received 692.50. They say "It has been 5 years time limit before it can be redone. That time has not yet passed. You are responsible for paying for services received after the time has been reached."

I never had any implants done I cannot believe what I am reading and this company will do anything not to reimburse its customers. I personally believe for the cost of implants in the USA are out of touch with our citizens in the USA. Its so expensive for American Citizens living on a fixed income such as SSI. I felt I could have so much more dental work done in Mexico at a more moderate price that I went to Mexico to have the procedure done. To say that I have had this procedure done in the past is a complete lie. It appears to me that once these insurance company get their money they refuse to return it to the consumer. I do not know if I had these services rendered in the USA would my dentist still have these same issues of being reimbursed. Maybe there is kickbacks. Who knows, because the prices in the USA for the same procedure is 10 times the amount at Dr. ** in Tijuana.

Original review: May 21, 2017

Good service and claims processed correctly and timely. There are a good selection of providers and coverage of services. I highly recommend Delta Dental.

Original review: May 20, 2017

Delta Dental is ok as far as Dental Insurance is concerned. They have many different policies and so it is difficult to mark them up or down as their products differ. Example: I am the primary member and have $2,000 to spend each year but my husband only receives $1,000 in dental benefits. Personally I think he needs his teeth just as much as I need mine.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Terrible for how much I paid each month. Not good coverage. I really like Physicians Mutual for dental. You have to be with Delta Dental for about more than a year before they cover certain procedures okay.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Excellent coverage and it paid for most of a filling. The coverage increases every year until everything is free including expensive things like crowns. Also, the customer service is pretty good and the premiums from my paycheck are reasonable.

Delta Dental Plans Association expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Delta Dental, a pure-play dental insurer, is one of the largest dental insurance providers in the country. The company dates back to the 1950s and is committed to expanding access to oral healthcare.

• An extensive network: Delta Dental operates in all 50 states.
    • Plan variety: Nearly every type of dental insurance is offered by Delta Dental, along with unique plans tailored to unique customers. Discount plans are not offered.
    • Cost-control measures: Delta Dental has negotiated contracts with reputable dentists across the country.
    • Transparency: Customers can check claims history, estimate costs, review benefits and more on the website.
    • ACA-compliant: Delta Dental plans are available under the Affordable Care Act on the federal health care exchange.
    • Affinity: Administers the AARP Dental Insurance Plan.
    • Best for: Delta Dental is good for families looking for cost-effective dental care and businesses looking to provide coverage for workers.
    Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
    Cyril Tuohy

Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Delta Dental Company Information