Delta Dental
1.27/5
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a dental plan?

Delta Dental

246 Delta Dental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

My dental plan covers 100% of preventative care, and 60% of other dental work, such as a crown. The patient pays 40%, which is a little high, and that's why I didn't think it's a great value, but it's not bad.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Don't waste your money. 3 years ago this was a really good company but now they don't pay hardly nothing. You will pay more on premiums than they cover no matter what happens. I tried to cancel then it was like an act of congress to cancel I called to cancel in Delta Dental in Oklahoma and she said I had to sent an email. They tried to charge me another month but that not happening. Good company gone bad...

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have received dental coverage through my employer. Recently had a bridge done. An estimate was given as usual. This time however they denied my claim because apparently I now have a "poor prognosis" so I get a bill for over 14 hundred dollars. I've already paid over 3 thousand out of pocket. What's the point of having insurance if they don't cover anything. Stay clear of them.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I lived in Florida in 2014 and had Delta Dental through my employer. Our benefits had a $1000.00 for orthodontics. I got Invisalign for my daughter and recently I called her orthodontist who we actually still commute to Florida to finish her service. They said Delta Dental only paid $500.00. I called Delta Dental and was told they only pay $500.00 then the next year they pay the other $500.00. So since I had moved before the second year of service, even though we had the coverage at the time she got the Invisalign, they refuse to pay the other $500.00. It is a total ripoff. None of us employees were told this nor was it in our benefit package.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Do not buy dental insurance with Delta Dental Insurance company. You will be sorry if you do because the insurance is worthless: I bought an individual dental insurance with Delta Dental Insurance. Policy name is Delta Dental PPO Individual. On their website they advertise that the policy I bought will pay 100% for General cleaning twice per year. That what I am looking for. My first cleaning happened on 4/20/18. This cleaning I have done for many years with the same dentist. My past Humana Medicare Advantage Insurance paid the full amount for this cleaning twice per year no problem.

Today 4/30/18 Delta Dental insurance company sent me an email itemizing my cleaning bill. They agree to pay only $28.00 out of a total general cleaning charge of $134.00. They wrote that only one item in the general cleaning bill fall within my insurance coverage and there is a $50 deductible on that item. The rest is my responsibility. I end up responsible for $106.00 of the $134.00 total bill. They never disclose those limits on their website. The only thing they post on the policy that I bought is general cleaning will be covered 100% twice per year. Call them and I was putting on waiting and nobody ever answer the phone. After waiting for 20 minutes I hang up. I feel so embarrassed that I not only wasting my money but also my precious time to deal with this total worthless, dishonest company. It set up only to steal people money. Don't be a victim like I am.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

Original review: April 29, 2018

My advice is to stay as far away as you can from this den of thieves. Needing to have some dental work done after several years of neglect, I chose and paid the annual premium for Delta Dental's top of the line program. I was quoted pricing examples for a variety of procedures and thought this coverage best fit my needs. I then visited my dentist for examination and development of a dental health plan. During this visit, I was told the actual prices I would be paying for each procedure. Under Delta Dental's plan, the cost of every procedure was significantly higher than what I had been led to believe when purchasing the plan. My dentist had his own plan, which reduced the cost of my procedures significantly.

Before having any dental work done under Delta's plan, I called to ask them to cancel my policy. I was told policies could not be cancelled after ten days and it was the twelfth day of my policy. I then sent a memo on Delta's website saying I understood there were costs associated with initiating the policy and was will to pay one to two months' premiums to cover this cost if they would refund the remaining policy premiums. I then received a letter from Delta stating my policy length is one year and cannot be canceled. However, at the end of twelve months my policy will be canceled and I will not be eligible to renew after that (As if I would want to). This experience has left me frustrated and angry with Delta Dental, a totally untrustworthy company that illustrates the corporate greed rampant throughout much of our health insurance industry.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Delta Dental consistently sends my reimbursement to the provider even though I am filling out my own claim forms and sending them a receipt to show that I have already paid the provider (which I should not need to do) and I’ve never given authorization for Tricare DD to pay my dental benefits to anyone other than myself. When I call and ask Delta to send my money back to me Delta tells me I have to chase down the money and retrieve it from the person they have sent it to. Even when that provider had no entitlement to the money! If the provider refuses I can access other channels to pursue it. That is wrong! They have removed my right to file and be reimbursed for my own dental benefits.

They are also very difficult to work with. Many providers won’t even deal with them. When I say Delta they say, go somewhere else (When I am paying them out of network cash!). That is why I am forced to file my own insurance. I have to ask them for the Dr’s Id number for claim and they usually won’t provide it. The dental office says, "either we file it or we won’t give you our tax Id for Delta." This is because they have made so many enemies. Delta will find any bogus reason why they won’t process a claim. Most people that I have spoken with at Delta are very limited. I have had Delta Dental Retiree dental program since for 10 years and it's getting worst every year. This company does not see the subscriber as the customer. Delta Dental sees the Federal Government as their customer and as long as the money rolls in they have no further obligation to the subscriber or beneficiary.

Original review: April 11, 2018

How is it possible that customer service has devolved into this? A lovely woman who is a 'representative' cannot comprehend this: "I am calling to find out what it will cost me on my plan for a cleaning, having used up my two free cleanings per year." She could not process the question. "COST. Can you help me?" She couldn't so she put me on hold and finally I had the good sense to hang up. Ten minute on hold and baffled by what must be again - passive aggressive low paid workers who act out by frustrating consumers. OK. Who owns stock in this? Dump!

Original review: April 5, 2018

This insurance is worse than useless! On a recent preventive visit which included periodontal scaling and root planing they paid a total of $80 towards a bill of $1,449. This included only $5.00 towards the exam fee of $127.00 and $75.00 towards the $150.00 fee for a complete series of x-rays. I found out after the fact that periodontal services (scaling and root planing) are not covered. Nowhere in my benefits was this stated. Stay away from Delta Dental at all costs!

Original review: March 26, 2018

Delta Dental is THE WORST!!! Take my word for it, and just go elsewhere. No matter the cost. After carefully selecting a plan, I chose one with a higher premium due to there not being a waiting period. I have gotten a lot of major work done in the past month, and Delta Dental has denied my claims. When I called, they stated that there is a 6-12 month waiting period, and that they are not responsible for what the Healthcare Marketplace did or did not say. Why in the world would there be a 12 month waiting period FOR A POLICY THAT ONLY LASTS 12 MONTHS!!! Now I'm stuck with a high premium, and this ridiculous bill from my dentist. This is complete BS, and a complete rip off. The "American Dream," that people speak so highly of, seems more like a nightmare to me.

Original review: March 24, 2018

When I called the dentist's office and asked if the dentist was a participating Delta Dental provider, I was told yes. I had never had dental insurance, so really didn't know the difference between participating and PPO participating. Here, he was not PPO participating, and did not have to accept the lower payment amount. I called Delta Dental and they told me I should checked first. I ended up owing over $500 more because he was not a PPO dentist. Dentist refused to compromise on the balance. Am now going to another dentist.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I had a crown put in on Feb 5, 2018 and so far Delta Dental has not paid for their part of the crown procedure. I called Vienna Smiles which is where I go see my dentist and they told me that Delta Dental had not paid them their part of the expense for my crown. I left a message for Delta Dental to get back to me about this matter and they told me that the employees of Vienna Smiles never filed the claim. I think that this is very poor customer service.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Recently Johns Hopkins went with Delta Dental. The selection of dentists is very poor. The dentist many employees have used for years will only accept the "premier" plan due to poor reimbursement and is only covered by 80% while this "premier plan" was touted as no deductible, 100% coverage for many procedures it only applies to the doctors on their list who are limited. Hopkins definitely made a poor choice going with Delta Dental.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Delta Dental of Pennsylvania - Hardly anyone takes the not so great coverage so I was having to cover a lot of out of pocket expenses. I’ve been waiting on a check they owe me for months. I was told it was mailed out on Feb 23 2018. It’s now March 7 2018 and still no check. I called and they said I’m not allowed to call back for 15 days. Please avoid these crooks if possible!!!

Original review: March 4, 2018

After waiting months for the policy to take effect, I took my kids to the dentist, who checked to see if we were approved to be seen before the appointment started. One of my children had impacted wisdom teeth and needed surgery. We went to the referred dentist who again checked to see if we were authorized for the removal. I paid our share of over $1200 and my son had the teeth removed. Now I am told that we weren't covered after all and I have to pay the insurance amount of another $1200.

When I called I was told that I signed a form so pretty much pay up or go to collections. At this same time my daughter was being seen for numerous cavities that had been approved. Then I received a bill for all the work that had been done after my co-pay. When I tried to speak to a human at Delta they don't seem to care and recommended that I make a complaint. I did. Where each dental office told me that it could take months before they got actual approval. I received a denial in less than 2 weeks. Of course they took another month payment automatic withdrawal. So to date I have paid in excess of $5,000 for dental work that $3,000 was supposed to be covered. Had anyone simply said you need to wait another month or two to be covered I would of waited. No one seems to care. If you want to avoid the crap we just went through go to another insurance company because Delta only wants your money. They don't care about their clients.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

We have had a terrible time dealing with Delta Dental. We have been given incorrect information during multiple calls, and conveniently, no notes were made in their system about the phone calls. We were clearly told that my daughter was covered under my plan, so her individual plan was not necessary. She went to the dentist and we received a bill months later because she did NOT have coverage. They have transferred us to supervisors and not explained the circumstances despite assuring us that they would, so we have had to explain the situation over and over again. They are not willing to help, but admit that the person was wrong about her being covered. They are awful!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I am writing this review as a warning to anyone considering a purchase of Delta Dental Insurance of New Jersey. I purchased a policy on 1/11/18, and decided to cancel it after learning that my dentist would work with me on the price of his services, which turned out to be lower than Delta Dental. I faxed a letter to Delta Dental requesting a cancellation of my policy on 1/30/18. I then received a letter from them explaining that my policy could NOT be cancelled until 1/31/19! So I have to keep paying $60.00 monthly for a policy I WILL NOT USE!

I called customer service on 2/16/18, to dispute this, and was basically told that I am out of luck. I mentioned that I will be eligible for Medicare in May of this year, and then was told that that qualifies as a major life event, and THEN I can cancel the policy! So until then, I am out $240.00? What's up with that? How can they just take your money like that? I was told that they have a time limit of 10 days if someone decides they don't want a purchased policy, so I guess the 18 days I waited was too long to be considered. BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I cancelled my dental insurance with these folks as I had moved to Fla and Humana has a much better deal. I was told that probably could not stop the automatic bank account withdrawal for the coming month but would send me a refund for payment on a cancellation of the account. The rep said I would have a check in three weeks or a credit to my account. That was December 26, 2017. Today, February 13, 2018, I called them to see where the money was and was told it would be 8-10 weeks. I was told the first rep was wrong. This rep was obstinate and arrogant to boot. I talked with bank and they said they have problems with Delta on numerous occasions. I think they believe most people forget. I don’t so will file a fraud complaint against them. Quick to take your funds but not quick to refund when they overcharge a customer. That’s obscene! Be aware when doing business with this outfit.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I got a bill from my dentist for 3 fillings that I believed would be covered, at least in part, by the Delta dental plan had had and not used for the previous 10 months I had it and was paying for it. Nope. Not covered because there was a 1 yr waiting period for anything besides cleanings and exams! Is there any point in paying an entire year for something you can't use? I hate being swindled and Delta is a master at taking your money for nothing.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I am writing an article about Delta Dental insurance. This is what happened to me. I bought a policy through the ACA. I called the company, was referred to a dentist. When I learned I needed dental treatment I called Delta Dental again and asked about the cost of said treatment and got an estimate. Today, after having the work done, I was told that because I am an adult, they don't cover any dental services. I am an adult, I have no children. That is all listed in my plan. I think this is fraud. When I called the ACA people, they agreed. I cannot be the only person to have been through this.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

ARRP Delta Dental allows 3 cleanings per year, probably because of the link between. Oral health and heart disease. Permits flexible scheduling, you see a dentist on half of the hygienist appointments. Premium have options.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Delta may have been the best dental carrier around but they were purchased by Horizon and now they come up with any reason not to pay. I needed a re-treatment (not uncommon) and they refused to pay my dentist for no reason. In fact, they tried to blame him for the re-treatment which could not be further from the truth. Be careful with them. They will not pay if there is any way they can point to a policy clause anywhere even it is of no relevance and refuse to pay. Be careful... Do not trust ever.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Do not waste your money on this plan (DeltaCare USA). I have never been so disappointed with an insurance plan. It is horrible. It only covers the worst facilities and doctors and most do not perform specialty work like root canals on your molars. And the ones that do, have horrendous reviews and we're miles from my residence. At the end of the day it really only covers decent dentists to get my teeth cleaned. You can pay less out of pocket to go get your teeth clean than the premiums. Hope this helps someone looking to make the right choice on dental insurance.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I signed up for Delta Dental after talking to sales reps who said there is a 6-month waiting period. Ordered insurance Jan 1st 2017, went to the dentist in June 2017. Got a full bill for $500 saying didn't complete waiting period. It's actually 1 year, except in certain cases in certain states if you can find and read all the fine print. While it is an insurance company, and we all know we're going to get ripped off to pay their executives and shareholders, they actively in the business of tricking you. If you choose to go with Delta Dental of Colorado, make sure you do your own research, get everything in writing, note the people you talk to (they always conveniently forget to record those conversations on the phone) and when. Not a transparent or necessarily trustworthy insurance company (no surprises).

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I am under my wife's plan. I called in to switch to my dentist instead of hers...and they made it exceedingly difficult even though both dentists take their insurance. I had to be on hold for 30 minutes. This is the slowest customer service I have ever had to endure. It is unacceptable to treat customers this way, so disrespectful of our time.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

As a Pastor, I needed dental insurance so I went with Delta Dental. Been with them less than a month, I have serious problems. Been trying to change providers for 3 months now- November of 2017. Done so by email and phone, with the promise that it has been done. Not so. Two providers are about the same distance from me. One, however, is an awful place. I will not go back. I would have canceled during open enrollment had they not misled me into believing the provider was changed. Multiple times I have been mislead that the change was made. How Delta Dental is still in business is beyond me! I have made one final request for the change, if not done in a few days, I will be filing a complaint with the Insurance Board in Florida. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE A POLICY FROM THIS COMPANY... YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Paid for 2018 dental coverage as addition to UCare for Seniors. In searching for a provider, have found the list of providers is padded. For instance, a dentist in Minneapolis Downtown Skyway only accepts those "grandfathered in." Woman who answered the phone at a popular clinic on Snelling Avenue in St. Paul said no longer accept Civic Smiles, & was so upset at the thought of the plan that she then abruptly hung up. Worst of all, found that Hennepin County Medical Center Dental for years has only pulled teeth, & only for very poor patients. Appears as deliberate fraud to list them as a clinic for UCare subscribers to have check-ups, cleanings, fillings & oral surgery. UCare takes no responsibility, as they've contracted-out to Delta. Forget about appealing to Delta. How did they pull-off an A+ rating with the MN BBB?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Short and sweet, these guys suck. Multiples Delta Dental offices in every state make things confusing. I had these yahoos on the phone with my dentist's billing department twice and they couldn't figure out how to verify my information. It took 5 months for a payment to be made, for a tooth cleaning. I'm embarrassed when I go to the dentist because of what a pain in the neck these guys were. My dentist deals with billing insurance companies and they'd never had such a hard time with anyone else, ever. I filed a grievance and they answered it by claiming to have addressed the made up claims I filed. Do whatever you can to NOT work these jerks and losers.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I took out a policy with Delta Dental over two years ago. I don't have issues with standard coverage. I read and understood what my coverage was. The problem and complaint that I have is with the coverage of a dental crown on a dental implant. My coverage was clear that they do not cover the cost of the implant but stated on my policy under limitation on Major Benefits - note 6. Delta Dental will not pay for implants (artificial teeth implanted into or on bone or gums), their removal or other associated procedures, but Delta Dental will credit the cost of a crown or standard complete or partial denture toward the cost of the implant associated appliance, I.e. the implant supported crown or denture.

So they refused to pay on the crown that was added to the implant. I made four calls to Delta but had no help in understanding why they are stating they do but they will not pay. They said the clause doesn't mean implants in gum or bone. I am astounded that they are totally advertising and yet not paying. I have been with the company for three years at 32.00 per month. I am totally dissatisfied and feel this company misrepresented their policy. I have canceled and considering legal actions.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I had work done on July 27, and I still have not been paid. I've called 25 times, excuse after excuse, I even called before treatment. Look out for Delta Dental insurance, the state of Ca. dental association sued and won a case in 2017. I think there should be a nationwide class action suit against Delta dental, it is owned by Aetna, they should be held liable too.

Delta Dental Plans Association expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Delta Dental, a pure-play dental insurer, is one of the largest dental insurance providers in the country. The company dates back to the 1950s and is committed to expanding access to oral healthcare.

• An extensive network: Delta Dental operates in all 50 states.

• Plan variety: Nearly every type of dental insurance is offered by Delta Dental, along with unique plans tailored to unique customers. Discount plans are not offered.

• Cost-control measures: Delta Dental has negotiated contracts with reputable dentists across the country.

• Transparency: Customers can check claims history, estimate costs, review benefits and more on the website.

• ACA-compliant: Delta Dental plans are available under the Affordable Care Act on the federal health care exchange.

• Affinity: Administers the AARP Dental Insurance Plan.

• Best for: Delta Dental is good for families looking for cost-effective dental care and businesses looking to provide coverage for workers.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
    Cyril Tuohy

Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Delta Dental Company Information