Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage
4.07/5

Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage

USAA Dental Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

My parents chose USAA Dental Insurance for me, since I am unemployed. It was really simple since I didn't notice any setbacks during the purchasing process. It's free which is a good thing, and the service is good quality. They accommodate all of my needs and it takes a short time to be called up front. Also, I go there all the time. The dentist's office is close to us, so it saves us gas and they're nice people. Also, I can have access to them through just a phone call away.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I choose the policy from their online web site and seemed sort of simple but couldn’t read some of their small fine print from different segments around the policy descriptions. I keep on getting overcharged for each visit. The overall dental plans should have less fees associated around the visits and the copay needs to be much less than what other companies will charge. USAA Dental Insurance should add more customer service agents to help the customer get more information about appointments and how much the copay will be in advance so I don’t get surprised when I show up. Otherwise, they're fast and effective.

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I found it by recommendations of friends, since my previous policy was very bad. I love their plans. They offer is super promising and they comply with everything they say. They have a super good attention and they cater well to my doubts. Everything is super good. Until the process, I thought it would be complicated, the truth is that not. Everything very well explained. They are also accessible and very committed to help. My process completed by phone since that was the best provision and it was too easy.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Employer choose the plan and vendor. Insurance provided by work. The plan chosen could be better. Terrible prices and the coverages are only average. The experience of the dentists were terrible. Expensive copays and high monthly deductibles. Would switch companies or at least upgrade policy if possible. They should send out membership cards. It would be easier to pull out some form of identification to say we are a member of this dental insurance. Should also provide free dental care products or dental care samples to encourage better dental hygiene. Plus, they should include cosmetic procedures such as Invisalign.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I like the 100 percent coverage on preventive care. It also pays very quickly when you send in a claim. Customer service works quickly to help if there is a problem. I dislike that there is such a low cap on the yearly payable amount. One emergency treatment or unforeseen problem and you've used up your allotted amount. It was very difficult. There were recommendations on the military retiree website but many were so expensive that they weren't cost effective. The one we chose was least expensive but also had a lower total allowance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Dental Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

USAA Dental Insurance has new processes online most times. And I use to have them and use them lots of times then, but now I don't always have them. I like what they do most of the times and I need them to be there for me when I need them in bad situations that I get into. They are good to have and I like them quite a lot. Great new ideas there. They are the best.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I like how there's a discount for members when applying for USAA Dental insurance. Thousands of dentists accept this kind of insurance and that's also what I like. Just join, save, and smile on your way to victory - that's all that you have to do. It's the dental care that people need at a price that people can actually afford. The process of purchasing my dental insurance policy seemed pretty simple and easy. I went on the website and completed the process online. I also went in person just to make sure everything went through and to maybe ask them questions which I happened to have. They did a great job answering them and they were glad that I decided to register for their insurance.

However, I feel like more people should be working for this insurance place. Sometimes it seems hard to actually get a hold of someone or a robot that they set up. I feel like more places that I truly like going to actually covered this type of insurance, but apparently not and that's how it is and how it will be. But here I am 5 years later and I am still with them. They are doing a great job and they should keep it up.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I did not have dental insurance provided through my employer plan, so I called USAA since they are the providers of my car insurance as well. They were able to explain their insurance policies and which would be the best for my age and employment. It was simple and conducted on the phone. USAA has consistently excellent customer service, and the services you buy from them are customer-centered. I have called them multiple times about policy concerns or claims and consistently my question is resolved immediately. If I submit any claim with them, they pay in full within a week. I have also heard from my providers that USAA is such an excellent group to work with that they regularly see USAA members promptly and ahead of other companies.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Purchasing my USAA Dental Insurance was easily done online. I was able to just put in all my information online on the USAA website and then get a quote. I purchased it once I got the quote. I like that it covers two dental cleanings a year. I rarely have dental problems so I do not need insurance cover above and beyond this. This is the optimal amount of coverage for my personal situation. On the other hand, I wish there was more coverage for procedures. I had one tooth that needed a crown and I was disappointed that my insurance did not cover more of the cost of that procedure.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

It was very easy to sign up. I just went with whatever it is that was recommended to me with the lowest cost. I use the online method, and the website to help me choose and make payments. USAA treats me like an valued customer, if I have any question about my dental insurance I can always call them and ask questions. The representative are always pleasant to talk to as well. I have gum issues, my dental plan only covers twice a year cleaning, and I would like it if it has varied plans that would suit my need so I can have more value for my money.

USAA Dental Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

USAA Dental Insurance is part of the wider USAA Health Insurance umbrella. They provide dental insurance packages that vary between U.S. states and cities.

• Individual support: Benefit from hands-on help when it comes to finding the right dental insurance plan for you.

• Prevention: Plans are available to cover preventative oral health measures such as regular exams and cleanings.

• Online access: Sign up for a USAA account to shop online through various dental plans.

• USAA health insurance: Take a look through the other health insurance options available through USAA to find the best range of coverage.

• Oral health integration program: If your dental procedure is associated with certain medical conditions, you are entitled to a full reimbursement.

• Best for: USAA Dental Insurance is best for individuals and families connected to the military.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

USAA Dental Insurance Company Information