Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.46/5

Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage

Aflac Dental Insurance Reviews

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I have had most of my policies since 2004. I have Accident, Dental, and Cancer policies. I struggle with the majority of my claims on Dental. For instance, I had work on 10/9/2019 and put in a bridge. It took over 4 weeks for them to even acknowledge that they received my submission. Then when I was paid, they only paid me for one tooth. After noticing this I had to wait close to 2 hours to talk to a live rep to point out their oversight. Within two days they paid for an additional tooth but have now refused to pay for the final tooth since it was missing prior to work. I found this out and told them that the tooth was pulled in July of 2018 and that my policy was 14 years old at that point and I should be covered. So I submitted a services rendered sheet for all work done at my dentist for the last three years.

In this paperwork it detailed that the tooth in question was pulled last year. So just this past Monday, I'm told now that this particular submission of evidence was overlooked and that my daughter's claim is now denied. I pointed out what claim for my daughter to rep. The original claim was just in my name! I believe they deliberately delay or deny claims so the average consumer gives up. How is it that they have access to my dental provider and past paperwork showing work done, yet they quickly deny claims??? Service there has really changed over the years.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I have had Dental with Aflac for years now. I hardly ever put in a request for reimbursement, mostly because you have to wait a year before you can even use it but in the long run I was thinking it would pay off being a single mom of three. I did however turn one in on October 3rd which they said a month later that they would reimburse me 25.00 which is not correct, I had to research it myself to find out that they owe me more like 85.00. It's now December 13th and I have not been paid. I keep getting the runaround that they are re-reviewing it.

This is what the rep told me in a email "There is a document in line for review for Julie. It appears it will pay, but our dental claims and the re-look of dental claims are extremely behind. Dental is still not on SmartClaim, the 24 hour review, like our other plans. This will not be reviewed for another couple weeks. I'm sorry for the delay and troubles with the dental payout." That really doesn't help at all!! Terribly disappointed.

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I faxed paperwork over towards the end of September for 3 dental claims. I know they’re behind but only 1 out of the 3 claims was processed and paid out. Every time I call I get the same answer. This is ridiculous.

Original review: July 31, 2019

April 15th I had a regular clean, xrays, etc. Basic stuff. I took the AFLAC forms for the dentist to complete. I had most of it filled out. By the time the account was fully paid it was July 2019! The dentist said #1 they lost the form. The 2nd month: they don't do AFLAC (I had advised them they had received payment from AFLAC before). They finally received payment, but it was to dentist no longer in practice. I insisted it was still sent, and their responsibility to track it. It went on and on. 3 months later, the office says, I still owe $50. I was glad I had my paperwork. I had proof of payment. When I've asked for help from my local AFLAC rep, they aren't much help.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Hello I requested a refund from Aflac Dental because I couldn’t never use them for my dental needs. I requested a refund for 5 months of monthly drafts from my checking account. Aflac sent me a letter that said no refund do but I never used the insurance because it wouldn’t pay for deep cleaning. This is my last attempt.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac Dental Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

The process to start the policy was so smooth and easy and I was happy that my wife and I would finally be able to visit the dentist. Well, not everything was as perfect as I imagine it would be. I asked the representative who called me when I requested a Dental Plan through their website, that I specifically need it a Dental Insurance not a reimbursement or supplemental plan. He assure me that this was the kind of plan I needed, that everything will be fine, that I will be able to see a dentist in no time.

So, days go by, I receive my id cards in the mail and off to the dentist I go. First thing the receptionist look at the ID card and look at her coworker, with that WTF face. That worried me immediately. She couldn't find a group number, so she could verify my insurance. I called Aflac, they state I don't need a group number, because of whatever reason that didn't even made sense to myself, imagine if I explain that to the receptionist at the dental office. Back to the dentist office. The receptionist ask for the card so she can try to call Aflac directly, she calls the number on the back of the card and guess what? Yup, you guessed it right. Aflac automatic system said it will take about 2 and a half hour before a representative could be in the phone to verify.

As I write this review I am waiting for someone from the Customer Service Department answer me, because immediately after I say I want to cancel the representative told me I had reach the wrong department that he will transfer me. Another lady answer, after one hour waiting, she also said I reached the wrong department. How long had I be waiting you ask? 3 hours 10 minutes 11 seconds. I guess they want me to get tired of waiting and hang up, or for 5pm to come so the call drop and I be obligated to call tomorrow again and wait another 10 hours for someone to actually help me with the cancelation. If you want to try their services and see if I am lying, go head. But I will never recommend Aflac to anyone. At least not their Dental plan.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Filled out your forms to get a comparison of your dental insurance and cost. Could not get a review or match of an insurance plan. Tried 4 times with the same result. You just as well not have this website.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

My wife picked up the policy quite some time ago when she received an offer in the mail for low cost dental insurance. For me getting insured was actually quite easy because I was added to my wife's policy with a quick call then about 10 days later we received the identification cards. The insurance is very easy to use and I am able to go to any doctor of my choice. Unless it's a basic service the dentist requires that all payments are paid ahead and the insurance reimburses me the difference. But the cost of procedures is quite high so unless it is just for a basic cleaning and checkup the cost out of my pocket is quite painful. The upfront payment is very low though and usually all I pay upfront or at all.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Aflac Dental Insurance is a good option that is not too pricey and is good for basic dental care. I chose my dental policy after completing the process online via the California Affordable Care website and the process was semi simple. I like that it covers a cleaning every 6 months and for a low monthly price. I only have one thing that I would improve which would be having the ability to find a dentist that accepts my insurance and being able to book appointments and access my dental records online. If I wanted to switch providers or if I needed to be referred to a specialist I wish it could all be done easily online.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Aflac is an insurance company that I could afford with a very small budget compared to other insurance companies because I had called a lot of different dental insurance companies and received really high quotes. They cover most of your out of pocket cost. Plus, they have really cute and catchy commercials that make you remember the name really easy. Also, they have great customer service and the process was simple. I got an advertisement in the mail & signed up afterward. The customer service wasn't long of a wait and the person helping me on the phone was sweet and understanding of what plan I needed to choose. I'm highly satisfied with using Aflac Dental insurance.

Q3: STILL THINKING OF THE SAME INSURANCE COMPANY YOU MENTIONED PREVIOUSLY, DESCRIBE THE PROCESS OF PU...

A: It was simple I got an advertisement in the mail & signed up afterwards.The customer service wasn't long of a wait and the person helping me on the phone was sweet and understanding of what plan I needed to choose but still be able to afford it.

Aflac Dental Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Well-known for its commercials, Aflac is one of the largest providers of supplemental insurance in the United States. The company's dental insurance products, available to employees enrolled in a group plan, are known for their unique features.

• No network limitations: Customers can choose any dentist without worrying about whether or not they are in network.

• Orthodontic and cosmetic options: Customers can add these two options at a low cost if desired.

• Direct payments: Aflac pays benefits directly to the customer.

• Affordable rates: Aflac has insurance plans with weekly rates as low as the cost of a toothbrush.

• Free quote requests: Compare plan prices and choose the right one easily.

• Best for: Aflac Dental is best for employees with health insurance but no dental coverage and savers looking for good low-cost insurance.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Aflac Dental Insurance Company Information