Delta Dental

Stars Rating

• 5%
  • 95%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?
    Claims HandlingCoverageSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed April 22, 2024

Delta Dental of California. Department of Managed Health Care. DMHC# 1307183. helpline@dmhc.ca.gov. Tell 1-888-466-2219. Delta Dental has denied my recent dental claim (Case ID: **), due to the plan waiting period requirements. This waiting period is six whole months! In my case, I enrolled in Delta Dental while I was working for a large company in 2022. I left that company on April 15 of 2022. I continued Delta Dental insurance through enrollment in California COBRA. This coverage continued for another 18 months until it expired on October 15, 2023.
    On September 26, 2023, that is couple of weeks before my COBRA coverage ended in month of October, I contacted Delta Dental by phone and requested that my dental coverage continues after October 15th of 2023. The sale representative advised that I must enroll in a personal plan which has a higher premium. I agreed and the sale representative provided a brief outline of my coverage, including $50 deductible as well as coverage for all preventive care, two times a year. The sales representative never mentioned the 6-month waiting period requirements! I provided my credit card number, and I was charged $139.84 that included $10.00 Enrollment Fee and premium for the next two months. One could verify the contents of my phone conversation through Delta Dental phone recording with their sale representative during plan registration, as well as the letter I received from Delta Dental including the Insurance card, indicating “Payment received since your previous bill -$139.84”. Note that my previous bill to Delta Dental was through COBRA coverage. I was glad that I had all the basis covered and that my dental insurance was/is continuous from the last company to COBRA and then on to my personal premium Delta Dental Plan.

Now Delta Dental says that my “effective” Dental coverage was set to begin December 1, 2023! And, because of a 2.5-month gap, I need to pay for another 6 months, a total of 7 months of premium (since Delta Dental charges you an extra month ahead of the due-date month) without any coverage! Another word one is covered 6 out of 13 months of payment! Is this just/right?

Delta Dental PPO Plan (https://www1.deltadentalins.com/content/dam/ddins/en/pdf/brokers/resources/broker-booklet-ca.pdf) states “Plans purchased on or after the 15th of the month have effective date options of: the first of the next month, the 15th of the next month, the first of the month after next or the 15th of the month after next. • For example, a plan purchased on July 15 can be effective August 1, August 15, September 1 or September 15.” So, my coverage should have been effective in November or October 2023 after my purchase on September 26, 2023. In the same online booklet, “Limitations & exclusions” there is no mention of the 6-month period requirement.

Furthermore, Delta Dental never sent any brochure of any kind whatsoever to me explaining this “effective” date and the “6-month waiting period”. The Delta Dental sale representative also never brought up and/or explained any of these requirements. She was only interested in my credit card number and the charges! In Delta Dental denial letter dated March 28, 2024, Ms. Kim ** of Delta Dental refers to “Combined Policy and Disclosure From” and its Attachment A and other references to its pages explaining my dental insurance coverage. As I mentioned, Delta Dental never sent any of its policy or its coverage or contract requirements to me or explained by their sales representative. The online search for Delta Dental yields numerous results…. I gave up initially after trying few to establish an account.

Delta Dental must honor its obligation to fully inform its customers of their coverage requirements not only through their sales representatives but also via mailing their contract requirements, giving reviewing time and enabling customers to agree/disagree with its terms. Delta Dental should stop deceiving current and potential customers by providing its fancy and glamorous coverages via advertisements but hiding its plan requirements and denying claims when dental treatments are needed.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed April 20, 2024

I am a Delta Dental customer through Cobra. My cobra was submitted a couple weeks ago and both my UMR medical and vision VSP has the cobra updated and I am able to use them. Cobra has so far sent delta dental 2 additional emergency updates and they still don’t have my plan updated. Customer service does not help and they have an attitude about doing their job. My dentist has also said they have had a lot of trouble with them. Stay away, they need to fire their entire customer service up to management and also update their computers!

Reviewed April 13, 2024

I changed carrier to this back in November as my dentist was no longer taking MetLife. Despite paying for if now for 4 months, not a single piece of info from them giving me an insurance card to use them. Their online portal says they can't find me, but interestingly enough they can find my paycheck. When I called customer service they said they can't find me.

As I get them as part of FedVip (federal employees), I had to call them (FedVip) for them to find someone from delta who states they found me and would send me a card. 1 month later, they sent a book of dental providers but no card or patient identifier so I can actually book an appointment. AND online says I still don't exist and running through hoops again for them to find me.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingPriceStaff

Reviewed April 12, 2024

I had dental implants put in uppers and lowers. Dental center doesn't accept insurance, so I filed a claim with Delta dental, max claim pay out is two thousand dollars, Delta dental said ok. Well we need the codes of teeth removed, got it to them, Denied, Delta dental said that they need cost breakdown sheet, they got that too, denied again, said dental center is not in the database, denied, and my benefits rep called Delta dental today and said denied because because the dental center is out of network, I Believe that Delta dental will look for any and everything to deny a claim. Just Horrible, employer pays for it so I can't cancel. Delta dental does not return emails or phone calls, I emailed D **, a supervisor in Michigan 35 times and hasn't returned one email.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed April 8, 2024

The website lies about coverage. If you look at the PDF, there is a one year delay for simple procedures such as fillings. There is a high yearly deductible. Their customer service is terrible. I also blame AARP for poor oversight.

Customer ServiceCoverageOnline & App

Reviewed April 7, 2024

Never got past the registration page because their website was designed in 1986 and has not been updated. They require information they don't give you so there is no way to register even if the website actually worked. No way to contact anyone, but after using their contact form I've received no reply. Save yourself some aggravation and go elsewhere for your dental coverage.

Reviewed April 5, 2024

Delta Dental is the very worst Dental Insurance money can buy. They take advantage of elders and keep you busy for weeks disputing their denial of payments. AARP uses them. Don’t waste your money. UCARE Medicare advantage uses them. Look for another advantage plan unless you don’t need dental work. So far, I have received 8.00 in payments and this included the promised 3 teeth cleanings a year. This is elder abuse at its best,

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed March 28, 2024

I had dentist appointment at office of: Dr. **’s dental office (**)- phone number, being assigned by the DeltaCare USA in order to be able to use the insurance, right. Here is my accomplished dental work: x - ray with suggestions - not my intention for visit to dentist. The dental assistant was getting me familiar with x-ray machine, I wasn’t able to perform at least basic cleaning. I called the DeltaCare USA this morning to file a complaint and guess what- been hang up on. Managed to report dental scam verbally and it has been never ending. I have been at least 10 different dental offices over period of time and all have been done is x-ray. Any tip would be appreciated. Sarina

CoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed March 18, 2024

We tried for over a year to get reimbursed for my wife's dentures. There was always a reason why Delta Dental refused to pay. Per the instructions from the insurance company, we are supposed to pay the entire bill and then get our "insurance money" from them as a reimbursement. Of course, the dentures cost more than we'd get back, but her plan pays 80% up to $1,500. So, we sent the forms to DELTA DENTAL and they sent us a letter back stating that we didn't include the right forms. Then, there was always another reason why they refused to pay. Finally, after many mailings of the required forms, they sent a check, a whole $36 check. To the dentist's office! We couldn't even cash it.

The paperwork says they will only pay within a year of the work being completed. They strung it out until it timed out. My wife and I terminated coverage with Delta Dental Insurance since it was cheaper to not have it in our case. Then, we received a bill from a visit she had in June of 2022. Seems Delta Dental Insurance didn't pay that one either. If you want to see all the gory details, I've documented the entire fiasco on the HDForums. **. Some folks say they've had good experiences with them. That has NOT been my experience.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverageStaff

Reviewed March 8, 2024

I purchased the Delta PPO plan - because it said that it would cover restorative services. I have a few broken teeth. They refused to cover crowns because there was no cavity that caused it. I repeatedly for over a year tried to access my thorough benefits details. Every time, the message on my portal said "Unable to Retrieve Data" or it was unable at this time. It was never available. The benefits clearly stated in my PPO plan that they would cover crowns, among other things. I spoke with the claims department and they were useless. All they did was read the claim denial message. I asked to have a copy of the thorough benefits paperwork emailed to me. I am very doubtful that I will receive it. I asked them to cancel my plan and it is still active. They are still saying that they will take my automatic payment on my account.

I truly wished I had check the reviews here before buying this policy. It is pretty much an unethical provider. I am really shocked that such a large entity could be this awful. l Their team was clearly uneducated "call takers". When I set up my auto payments, twice they screwed it up and I had to call after receiving a non-payment notification - they tried to say the credit card was denied. I gave them the same card info and it went right through. There has always been plenty of room on the card as I pay it off every month and never use the full line of credit. They are inept. I hope that people read this. I will write other reviews wherever I can so others don't get taken for a ride. Thanks, David

Reviewed March 5, 2024

Hey Delta Dental, don't you want to have contact from your users or customers? You have the absolute worse website, tried for an hour to create an account. You ask for info that does NOT work, like Group number, My ID Number, etc., SS. Nothing works. You click on CONTACT above or the website, and it gives you two options to select and that still does not open a contact page. You are now without notice sending my statements to the wrong address.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2024

Had Delta Dental/AARP insurance for 3 years. Always had to pay up front and wait months and make several phone calls and then they would decide how much to reimburse me. Recently I got into a financial situation where I needed to cancel my insurance. Unknown to me, there was a 12 month contract that won't allow you to cancel! I sent numerous emails explaining my situation which were ignored and telephoned different reps. One rep insisted she would cancel my plan but did not after I had already put a stop payment on my direct withdrawals. The next two reps said no it was not cancelled and could not be cancelled!

Waiting days for a supervisor to call me back and tell me that they will not let me cancel the 10 months I have left on my contract! No followup emails after phone calls with the reps. Very unprofessional. I couldn't even find the contract without help from one of the reps. Website was very unclear and difficult to use. My dentist went out of network with Delta Dental because he was having so many problems with them. When I had my oral surgery they wouldn't cover my anesthesiologist or anesthesia because I had the surgery at the endodontist office not the hospital. Well the hospital does not do oral surgery. At the end of my "contract" I will not be doing business with them.

Reviewed Jan. 29, 2024

Listen! EVERYONE! You CANNOT miss ANY monthly payments! OR YOU WILL BE KICKED OUT OF THE PROGRAM FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ENROLL FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR! So be careful and weary. Dental help is nothing to play with. You have to be on top of things! Also, the dentists are also a pain in the butt to deal with.. Just be sure and be assertive, without violence, when it comes to getting dental work done with your dentists! Also, you CANNOT miss a single monthly payment or you’ll have to wait an entire year.. which is crazy… or just find another insurance company.

Claims HandlingCoveragePrice

Reviewed Jan. 28, 2024

Delta Dental provides only minimal benefits for the premium charged. In addition, they claim if you sign up with them it is a one-year contract which renews each year, so you can never terminate until the end of the year (although they have refused to provide me a copy of any contract saying that signed by me). We've relocated and learned that other insurance would be much more beneficial, but Delta refuses to consider our request for termination, failing to provide any indication that the reasons stated were even read. Buyer beware! Look elsewhere and consider carefully before getting this insurance.

Claims HandlingCoveragePrice

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2024

I've had Dental Dental though PERS for many years. More than 6 years ago one dentist completely botched replacing a lower jaw bridge. It was multiply defective from the beginning. Last September my dentist said it requires prompt replacement, otherwise decay could develop under one portion of the bridge and subsequently make it impossible to put it a new bridge and then multiple tooth implants would be required. And a second dentist consulted concurred. However, Delta Dental claims first that 7 years must have passed before they would cover its obligated 50% of the cost. Two, Delta Dental, in its notification of refusal to cover the cost of an otherwise requisite bridge replacement procedure, also claimed that even if coverage were allowed, another porcelain appliance is not acceptable, rather only gold, even though dentist's office states that there would be no difference in cost between the use of porcelain and gold.

Last, also in its notification of refusal to cover the what incontestably should be its 50% of the costs, the writer referred to crown work that would apply only to the molar part of the bridge, even though such a crown could never be put on since the middle part of the sextant bridge covers an empty area where the second bicuspid has been absent since 1973! This absurd situation because Delta Dental doubtless wants to save having to spend money!

Claims HandlingCoverage

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2024

I don't even know where to start. I've had this plan for 7 years and it is less than useless, if that's possible. Their list of providers is non existent and when I asked for a periodontal referral within network, they gave me 4 general dentists (one over 50 miles from home), an MD and a Vet (no, this is not a typo, they gave me a veterinarian as a periodontal referral!)

The plan states it covers "50%" of most services and procedures which, is a lie, plain and simple, it's a lie. I just submitted a bill for $1600 for extractions and they paid me $258 (about 6%) and that's just one claim in what's going to be some more ongoing necessary work. They pay less than half for routine cleanings and most minor dental procedures and if you need major work, as I did, you're lucky if you get enough for gas to get you to and from the dentist office! You will ALWAYS walk out of your provider's office owing money. When this is all over, I'll be looking at other plans, nothing can be worst than Delta Dental Medicare coverage.

Claims HandlingStaff

Reviewed Jan. 16, 2024

I have had to change dentist twice in three years because Delta Dental puts restrictions on Dentist on how much they can make on any given procedure. So, the Dentist stop accepting Delta because they won't be bullied into Delta Dental fees, I completely support that. I called to get the max allowance for a filling charge and Delta said they can't tell me that, they said I have to submit a claim. So, I asked for the claims department so I can ask them, and they said they can't transfer me to the claims dept. This is a joke, so I have to go in blind not knowing what I am going to be responsible for if I decide to keep using the same dentist and just pay the difference. This is an awful company. I would cancel if I could, but the year has already started, I can't cancel through my employer.

Reviewed Jan. 10, 2024

Nowhere on Delta Dental's website does it state that they only allow $1050 for upper dentures. My dentures were $2500 and instead of paying the 50% or $1250 that Delta supposedly pays, they only paid me $500 minus the $75 deductible. Worst Dental Insurance ever. Will definitely be canceling my policy when open enrollment starts up again.

Customer ServiceCoveragePrice

Reviewed Jan. 4, 2024

Be prepared to do the BAIT & SWITCH, that should be the new name for the company. I wanted a full refund because I wanted to get braces, you have to pay in advance & you're not given the proper info which should be explained FULLY by a REP who should know the difference between PPO & HMO & what is covered. When price is too low buyer beware. I'm not able to get my monthly deposit back & never got my braces. Called 21 Drs. off the list on the portal only for them to tell me DELTA DENTAL/DELTA USA take very long to pay them & that is why they are no longer in network with them. They suck.

Claims HandlingCoverage

Reviewed Dec. 20, 2023

We hold two insurance policies, one under my name and the other under my wife's. Unfortunately, Delta Dental has rejected all of our claims this year related to our son. Their reasoning is that since my wife's insurance covered a larger portion of the costs, they refuse to contribute the remaining balance. I faithfully pay my monthly premiums without fail, so it's disheartening that they won't fulfill their obligations. I strongly dislike this insurance and wish my workplace offered an alternative provider. This insurance company falls short of meeting the standards expected of a reliable insurance provider.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Dec. 19, 2023

This provider is through my employer. The insurance is no longer accepted at my dentist due to Delta not working with the dentists and always pushing for less coverage for the PATIENT. This insurance should be removed from my employer as an option with a better option offered and I have reported this. Other dentists are dropping Delta for the same reasons. Also their customer service is THE WORST. No help, no answer to a call - constant pushing your call to the next person or not answering at all. If you can pick ANY other insurer.

Reviewed Dec. 11, 2023

If you are under the Delta Dental federal benefits retiree plan, get a different provider. Almost no dental offices take the PPO provider plans out of California. The amount of nonsense I've had to go through just to use my insurance for a basic cleaning is ridiculous.

Reviewed Dec. 6, 2023

My wife recently turned 65 and now has a Medicare advantage plan! Because she has a medicare advantage plan Delta Dental WILL NOT PAY ANY BENEFITS to my wife. They are the Second payer. Even though we PAY them for a policy, they state that they are NOT responsible for any money if Medicare pays what they would normally pay for dental work. My wife had two teeth extracted and the bill was $956, medicare paid $346 and Delta dental sent her a check for $154, THEN sent her a letter stating that they wanted their check back as they paid in Error. WOW. We will take your money, but won't pay you ANY BENEFITS.

Coverage

Reviewed Nov. 30, 2023

I got this AARP sponsored insurance policy not realizing that there are only a few dentists who take this insurance. I wanted to cancel this policy and be reimbursed 100% since I never used this policy this year. I am being denied any reimbursement due to the "timeframe for buyer's remorse" which I never saw documented anywhere in your literature. I do not consider an insurance policy that only offers few dentists serving an almost 400 square mile region (Dallas) to be much of a policy. At the beginning of the year there were many more dentists available.

However, I started my dentist search in early November and never imagined there would be so few dentists serving all of the Dallas area. Considering one of the dentists has been punished by the state dental board makes their choice of available dentists even more absurd. As such, I do not consider their buyer's remorse argument to be valid in my case. Had I known there would be so few dentists (10) serving my area I would never have even considered getting this pathetic policy.

Coverage

Reviewed Nov. 13, 2023

Delta refuses to cover the cost of fixing a cavity, their reasoning is because it is concealed under a crown. They would like me to pay the 1100 to replace the crown after fixing the cavity. Think it is about time to look elsewhere for dental insurance. This policy sucks.

Reviewed Nov. 8, 2023

We pay Delta dental clear choice plan $ 99.00 dollars a month for 2 seniors for cleanings and extra 2 times a year but they don't tell you they don't pay for evaluations which is $65.00 per visit. It's cheaper to pay out of pocket than to do this plan. Total rip off.

Reviewed Nov. 3, 2023

My employer provides my dental plan through Delta Dental. The level of customer service is abysmal. Try to register for an on-line account and you will likely give up in total frustration. The Internet is filled with negative reviews on this company. Makes me think management is asleep at the switch or more likely, just can't be bothered. I am going to try and convince my company to switch providers.

Reviewed Oct. 25, 2023

I called with two very simple questions. Are either of these two dentists in your network. Gave the names and addresses and sat on hold for 30 minutes for them to tell me they don't know. Are you ** kidding me??!!

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverage

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2023

They are the worst dental insurance I have ever had, and I only have them through my employer. DO NOT buy if it's not an employer. They hardly cover anything besides your semi-yearly checkups. Prepare to pay out of pocket for everything, and its expensive. Good luck disputing claims, you won't win. And have fun being cycled through the never ending vortex of customer service transfers when trying to speak to a person.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingOnline & App

Reviewed Sept. 29, 2023

My son is covered under this insurance for his braces. The procedure was started on 04/28/2022. All documents required by the insurance company have been submitted multiple times since 04/28/2022. 19 calls later to customer service who responded that we still need more forms, some said they had everything they needed, and others said they would look into it. With no results. I have emailed the claims service using their website under Contact Us 9 times and got an email saying they will respond in 3 business days but never get a response back. It has been 1 and 1/2 years of filling out forms, making phone calls, and submitting the same documents over and over again with no results. My son will have his braces off soon and I have not received the 1500.00 dollars that is owed to me. However they have received my premium monthly for the past 9 years.

Delta Dental Company Information