Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage
Delta Dental
3.35/5

Delta Dental

Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage

323 Delta Dental Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 21, 2019

I purchased the Delta Dental plan through Costco. The plan indicates that a tooth extraction is $42. I was charged $789! A cleaning is $20 on the plan and I was charged $389. Beware that this is just a scam to get your money and provide nothing.

Original review: March 18, 2019

There are too many codes that do not fit the dentist preference. Also it would be nice to offer at least a discount on additional cleanings per year because most of the dentists say one should come every 4 months.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I find Delta Dental to be adequate for those who need coverage for their routine "yearly check-up and cleaning". For any other extensive procedures done, to the layman, "other" procedures are still very pricey. I recently had my yearly, and it was found that I needed a root canal and buildup on one tooth, my ending dollar responsibility was over $800.00 and that does not include the final crown/cap that will need to placed at some time in the future. I have the "high plan" which is geared toward covering more expense; I do not find this to be the case. While the cost offset is very much appreciated: I feel that the insurance is more akin to having a coupon book for certain procedures that can only be used once per year, for the other that routine cleanings.

I pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $432.00 a year for this insurance, which when cost compared to simply paying out of pocket for the yearly exam (which most people use) is more than the actual cost of most dentists' charge for an uninsured patient. Delta needs to reevaluate their formulary to better address those who may occasionally come across an unexpected procedure needed. If I had other options for my family I would certainly entertain them. Will continue with Delta, as something is better than nothing, but sincerely feel the coverage could/should be more comprehensive.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Do not use this insurance company. It is the worst I've ever had. You have to wait 6 months to use the service! I was told over the phone it would take 30 days. I was lied to! BEWARE!!! NO REFUNDS AT ALL!

Original review: March 7, 2019

My employer and I paid into Delta Dental for the year of 2018, and finally in December I had to schedule an emergency dental appointment. They did not process my initial claim from the dentist on 12/10 until March of 2019. When I reviewed the claim, none of the numbers made any sense and it looks as if I'm going to owe the dentist even more, regardless of the fact that the office staff was supposed to have been able to calculate my out of pocket expenses. It appears they pick arbitrary numbers based on some profit margin they expect to make.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

Original review: March 2, 2019

Deltacare is my secondary insurance, through my husband, but it has better benefits for many procedures than my own plan. I expected that, in those cases, I would pay no more than the Deltacare co-pay since those are their contracted rates with the dentist. Apparently, I was wrong, and my Deltacare won't coordinate at all as secondary so I paid hundreds of dollars more for a crown today than I would have paid if Delta was my only insurance. They've taken my premium dollars but are flat out refusing to pay anything.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I purchased this through AARP and it's a waste of money. There isn't one Endodontist in my plan. Delta knew it and still ripped me off. I found out that no Endodontist took the HMO plan and now I need to buy another insurance plan with another company. Stay away from Delta Dental and AARP. They work together to rip off the elderly. I will be filing a claim with a lawyer and with the attorney general. Beware of this company. It's a ripoff.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I had a policy in Texas and moved to Arizona where there was not coverage. I had prepaid. They processed a credit of $15.61 and refuse to refund it to me. Been dealing with this over a 6 months. Told 7 times "check was in the mail". It is a small amount, but now it is the principle of things they are this bad of a company. I have found multiple reviews how they rip off their customers and I am no different.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

We had to get dental insurance thinking it was a smart thing to do after retirement, but after a few years of being with Delta Dental I realize I need to look for a better honest insurer. Initially, monthly payment was 53.00 a month but you're not covered fully until one or possibly 2 years with them, so we always had big money to pay out after our dental care.

Within the first 2 years after hooking you into a plan with such promise, the monthly bill is now 73.57 sure to rise again... But oh wait!! We are now 100% covered... Listen to this... Had our teeth cleaned recently at 100% covered & the accepted fee for dentist is 67.00, so we pay 50.00 each & they pay 17.00. Yes.. 17 dollars at 100% coverage so we send out 100 dollars to their 34.00? Is this 100% coverage to anyone? Plus they continue increasing monthly installments, as a United States Veteran, what happened to god & country? & for us we will make changes. Having to go through another plan time period before 100% covered & hope it's not the same treatment of just taking our money just ripping us off.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have had Delta Dental insurance for years. Each year the premiums have gone up and their percentage of payment has gone down. I have had the same dentist nearly 20 years, and last year they reimbursed less than 25% of my care. Honestly, if I had the premiums in my pocket I would have been better off than what they reimbursed. My experience at this point is that no dental insurance is better than Delta Dental insurance.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I called in Delta Dental on 12/17/2018 and enrolled the premium plan directly in the morning about 10am. I gave my auto- pay authorization and the representative said they charged $234.28 right away. After 3 hours, I changed my mind and wanted to cancel my policy and called in for cancellation. The same representative answered and she told me she cancelled my policy but refund will take normally about 8 to 10 weeks and there is no further action or paperwork I need to do nothing further for cancellation.

On 1/6/2019, I received the policy packet by mail so I called them back to make sure my policy had been canceled. The person on the phone checked my name and told me that my name is not in their system. So I assumed the cancellation had been done already. On 2/1/2019, I received auto pay notice for March insurance from them by mail. When I called them, they told me that the cancellation was never done and it has been active all these months. She said I only make a call to them on 1/6 to make sure my policy is active. That was not my conversation with them. Anyway, they refused to refund the money even if I called in for cancellation 3 hours of enrollment which was illegal.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Unless you have coverage through an employer, DO NOT purchase a Delta Dental plan. First of all, I purchased a basic plan because I don't usually need extensive work. I wanted only to cover for my 2 exams and cleanings each year. The cost of the premiums for this however, would clearly cost more than if I paid for these out of pocket. Plus, they want a 50.00 deductible on top of the premiums each year.

So, I stupidly signed up for a plan that began in December 2018. I then had my checkup at a cost of 151.00. I ended up with a 97.00 balance after Delta paid. When I called for clarification, because I thought exams and cleanings were "free" each year, I was told it was because my dentist was a "Premiere" dentist so, the charges reflected the excess of his bill plus my 50.00 deductible. To add injury to insult, the deductible was applied to 2018 so, I now have to meet another deductible for 2019. My premiums were 34.00/mo for 2 cleanings a year, plus the 50.00. I was also informed that should I need major work now, I can't even use insurance for it until April, meaning I am paying premiums for nothing.

I would much rather pocket that money and pay for anything I might need on my own. Major work would only be covered 50% anyway so, I will now have 450.00/yr in saved premiums and deductibles if that should happen. Anyway, it's such a scam requiring that I pay for insurance that won't cover anything until April. That is six months of premiums before they will even cover half of, on a handful of services. I canceled the policy today. Just take care of your teeth!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I just joined Delta Dental in late November 2018 and wish I never saw the recommendation on the AARP website about them. First I had to pay in advance for two months (December 2018 and January 2019) on a credit card which I did. This is supposedly to show our credibility. I found that odd and never heard of such a practice from a company I never heard of. Obviously a trust issue.

On January 26, 2019, they auto billed me in advance for the February payment with no notice when I was expecting to pay manually in February. Somewhere along the line a manual payment by myself was changed to auto pay. I don't do auto pays because past experience has proven some companies will take the money too early. I wasn't expecting it and their withdrawal created a hardship because I had other expenses more important than a dental plan I haven't even used yet.

Getting a hold of these people at Delta Dental is a real lesson in patience and frustration. Each time I went to their website to send a message it was done on the main website. Responses from them could only be found on a separate website that required a totally different user name and password. I found that ridiculous because I only got their response without my original message so I had no proof of what I asked. They should have Secure Messaging like other websites of better design than theirs. Often the links in their messages didn't work which added to the frustration. If I was lucky to get a response it was usually very brief and meaningless, and never answered the question. Terrible system.

My experience has shown me this is a "hands off" business that doesn't seem to care about their customers which is why I had to play the multiple automated phone game before finally reaching someone. I cancelled my service with Delta Dental around January 26, 2019 because I find their services horrible and they don't care about their customers. They responded on January 29. I'm not sure of the exact date of cancellation because of the message system. The website is terrible and I found no way to print to a PDF file unless I did a Control P.

Today, January 31, 2019, I called to inquire as to when I was going to receive my refund for January especially since my auto payment has already posted. I was told I had to wait three weeks after this date to receive it. I said it took them no time to take my money before it was even due and it was not supposed to be automatically deducted so why should I have to wait three weeks. The woman I talked to acted as if she didn't care and was rude from the beginning.

I don't recommend any company who only seems to care about money and not the one paying it. I can't wait for my AARP account to expire because I'm not renewing that either. I would rather have no dental insurance than stay with this company. What a mistake and loss of $120+ just to prove reliability. I prefer paying out of pocket. At least I have control of my own money.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I paid every month and every month, received a threat of cancellation, and would sometimes be canceled (regardless of payment) and would have to call to be reinstated. Was told it was a glitch going back 3 years when one payment was missed (when my automatic payment was on a card that had just expired but I took care of it right away).

After calling so many times to speak with representatives and managers who swore to fix the problem (and sometimes temporarily succeeded) , I would inevitably get another cancellation notice even if I had paid recently. It became ridiculous and laughable, and I went to the dentist for a cleaning and x-rays and paid out of pocket because I KNEW that even though I was current, there would be a big fight with Delta saying I wasn’t covered. My blood pressure could not take it anymore, and I want nothing to do with those incompetent fools. I feel awful for anyone who has had procedures they expect to be covered. No insurance is better than Delta. I hope they go out of business.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Delta Dental has a 10 year replacement clause. We replaced some missing teeth with a bridge and the consultant says the bridge has a poor prognosis. The teeth are not mobile and there is no gum disease. This is a ploy to get out of paying on the procedure. At very least they should pay on a replacement partial because the one she is wearing is not replaceable. This would be like a doctor giving a patient a motorized wheelchair and the insurance doesn't pay on motorized and only want to pay on the non motorized chairs so they refuse to pay on anything. TERRIBLE just TERRIBLE!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Delta Dental is by far the worst insurance company to deal with as a provider. They have muscled their way into the insurance market, and it is very difficult for a provider to not accept their plans. They cut their fees over 60% four years ago, and have not raised the reimbursement at all since then. Meanwhile the company is making record profits. They do not care about the insured or their providers.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

It went had some dental work done, and my dental office gave me a specific quote from Delta Dental that they received. I agreed to that balance and then Delta dental comes back and pays $300 less than what the original quote was given. Where is the disconnect with this company? I work in billing and coding and if my insurances that I work with give me a quote that is the amount they pay they can’t make up the rules as they play the game. Delta Dental is truly a waste of time. I’m going to request that my company start looking for other dental coverage. They should be required to pay what they say they will when they give the quote over the phone. And doctors and dentists can’t understand why we don’t come in regularly. Well maybe because we can't afford both the cost of the insurance and ridiculous amounts we have to pay!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

As a provider, our goal is to help the patient and give them an accurate estimate for dental procedures. We call Delta Dental of WI every day, regarding patient's coverage. A rep would give me the patient's benefit info once in a blue moon. Majority of the time, they refuse to give me any information and tell me to get a "fast fax". I'm sorry, but shouldn't we be working TOGETHER?! This delays a patient's treatment time, especially if they came in as an emergency. I'm already on the phone with you, and you expect me to wait for a fax, call again, only to be put on hold for so long. No... just no. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I would not recommend DELTA DENTAL. Cigna and United Health Care have great customer service, to a member or provider.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

This has been the most frustrating experience with dental insurance. No providers exist in the plan, in our area. They chose to assign us to a dentist nearly three hours away. Then refused to allow us to be seen by a dentist in our area. I might as well have no insurance because I pay out of pocket for dental care that is high quality and in our area.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I had complications after root canal surgery on #7 tooth. This required a cyst to be removed and a root retrograde filling completed. Dentist gave estimate which I then paid my percent $427.00. Delta did NOT $918.50! Thought this had been paid as I never received any statement to the contrary until 4 days before Christmas and 4 months after the procedure. I sent an email about the claim and it was never followed up by Delta (supposedly 3-5 days for reply). Called the number today and I was told that No treatment can be for this same tooth within 24-months. My primary dentist discovered this during x-rays and referred back to this Endodontist. Canceling Delta and never using this Endodontic group again. It's a sorry shame you cannot expect the benefit company you pay for to cover costs as expected in coverage.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

My daughter got the Delta Dental coverage specifically for her wisdom teeth extraction. She was told she had to be on a plan for over a year since she was over 18 years old. We did that and then moved her to a plan that covered the surgery. After waiting a LONG time for the preapproval it came back DENIED- Not Medically necessary. Her teeth are impacted with no room to come out so I am not sure how they can claim not medically necessary. I feel the company is a scam to get your monthly premiums and then not covering what they told you would be covered when you sign up. DO NOT purchase from this company!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Worst dental plan ever and my job pays for it. I choose to pay out of pocket to get a good dentist. Not one dentist worth going to supports Delta. Customer service is awful. Getting payments back takes forever, don't buy this plan. Trust me.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

If I could give no stars, I would. ALL of Delta Dental in ALL STATES have horrible customer service over the phone when it comes to calling for insurance information. The wait is long to begin with and after over an hour and a half of waiting usually, rude representatives answer the phone to rush you through your questions while responding with an attitude. I wish I was exaggerating but I get one of these E V E R Y T I M E I call. I work in a dental office and always dread calling this insurance for our patients and usually leave it for the end of the day. These reps obviously need more customer service training. PLEASE someone take the time out to do it!!! DO IT PLEASE!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have been with Delta Dental insurance for two years through my job. Every time I take my sons to the dentist they can't receive service because it's showing under my dental plan they are not covered. When they don't go to the dentist then they are covered. They don't want to pay for anything but they want your money. When my son went to the dentist finally he received services, but when the claim form came it came in my other son's name. So I was called then and told them then they gonna tell me my son was not covered under my insurance, then I saw said. "Why y'all putting the claim firm in my other son's name when he has not been to the dentist yet." Smh. Then my son that they said was covered under my insurance finally went to the dentist. When we got there they said it's showing up that he is not covered under my insurance.

Then I called Delta Dentist from there. They said he was not covered but my other son was. I got real mad??? I told that lady on the phone that, "Two weeks ago I talked to you all and y'all said he was covered but my other son was not, now you telling me he is not covered but my other son is." They really are a terrible dental company. I tried to tell them that both of my sons are on my dental insurance. They have been since I got it. They told me I had to go to corporate at my Job to get it fix. I went to them and they said, "Your boys been covered since the beginning of the year," which I already knew. They do not want to pay so when they find out you got a dental appointment they will have it to show you or your family members are not covered so they do not have to pay for it. But then when you don't go to the dentist it shows up you are covered. I will not be dealing with them next year. Please don't waste your time on them.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I purchased a Delta Dental insurance plan for my family of 3 from Costco in Oct 18. Not knowing it was HMO (although decent coverage) I called to "upgrade" to PPO. Delta graciously charged my 187 a month for PPO (they said it would be effective the next day) when the Costco plan was 219 a year. They also cancelled my Costco plan at the same time. I went to PPO plan dentist the next day and was told I had a "waiting period of 6 months". The Delta salesmen knew I had an appt with the dentist the next day and in fact said "I get calls from patients sitting in the parking lot of dental offices needing urgent coverage all the time". This is normal. He never mentioned any wait period.

My Costco plan would have been covered thru an HMO dentist, but Delta cancelled that plan and left me with a much more expensive plan and NO coverage. The dentist even said that this is "normal" for Delta and to call and fight the wait period. Of course I did, and no manager that could take the call. The sales guy and his assistant who "expedited" the new plan and sent our enrollee ID's to the dentist. They don't return emails and of course Delta won't give out a direct number for them. Customer service told me to file a grievance and "based on your experience of being misled" should be rectified immediately. Email from Delta on grievance process... "Will get back to you in 30 days..." Bait and switch... misled, under-informed... Watch out for these guys.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

This company is the worst as a Medicare supplement dental plan. They promise "50%" reimbursement for periodontal surgery and I was paid $440 for a $2800 claim. They state that my periodontist "was not in their network", but the closest Delta provide is 35 miles away and not the referral of choice for my regular dentist who diagnosed the problem. They are endorsed by AARP and they too defended the reimbursement. Simply put, they just do not pay what the plan promises so look elsewhere for your Medicare dental coverage. I spoke to the billing staff at my periodontists office and am now looking into other plans that they endorse.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I've been working in Dental for 7 years now, and I have solid experience as my doctor's lead assistant and assistant office manager. If you come in for X-rays, PREVENTATIVE cleaning (not a SCRP, or deep cleaning) and exam, those claims will be paid on your behalf promptly. BEWARE of Delta Dental's claims department for ANY treatment you may need. It takes hours to get a hold of a representative, 9 times out of 10 they are rude or don't understand the question. If the call "disconnects" they don't call back, despite asking for number for that very reason. They will tell you a claim is processing (after you've provided the requested info multiple times) and they need no further info and to allow time for processing.

I call on our offices claims every week on Wednesdays and I can't tell you how many times I've been told a claim is good to process and then a week later they want/NEED new, completely different additional info. Even as petty as to make you change the address of the insured patient's insurance in our computer system in order to process the claim. (They won't process at least 5 outstanding claims due to the address on the claim form, even though that address is the claims dept address!) If you have another option of insurance, depending on the company, I'd avoid Delta Dental if possible. They don't care about the patients nor the providers. They deny as much as possible and ask for never-ending info that doesn't even seen to pertain to the claim.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I am retired and submitted a $3000+ claim for dental work for my husband, who has had Parkinson's for over 15 years. I first mailed all of the necessary forms and information to DELTA DENTAL - the address in Wisc. They never received it! I then sent additional copies, Return Receipt Requested. I received the green postcard back, with an illegible signature.

Guess what, when I called Delta Dental they have no record of my claim! Of course I'm talking to someone in Customer Service in Mass. so she can't begin to guess who signed for the envelope in Milwaukee, Wisc. She then provided a number to fax all of the paperwork to - I have to drive to FEDEX, pay for parking and the $11.65 to fax the info - you guessed it - THEY NEVER RECEIVED IT! Customer Service once again provides ANOTHER number to FEDEX the information too! She then informs me that they may have to speak to my husband and if I have to speak for him they need a form authorizing me to do so!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Let's face it. Insurance, especially dental, is a scam. We've all been tricked into believing it's a necessity so that we can slack off and avoid actually managing our finances. It's pretty simple. Insurance companies make a business of paying out less than what people pay in. American Society acted crazy when Amazon bought a grocery store for $13 Billion, but nobody bats an eye when AETNA was sold last year for $69 billion. It was barely even news. That said, I work in a family dental practice that has been in business for 30+ years. Insurance payments make up 90% of our revenue, and Delta Dental is the biggest player in the game. We dislike dealing with insurance vampires so much that we have removed our practice from every PPO... except Delta Dental. Most government or public employers use Delta Dental. So it would be business suicide to not be linked to them.

Our fees are some of the lowest in the city, but Delta Dental still generally requires us to adjust 30-60% off most treatment plans. Even so, it's EXTREMELY RARE that Delta Dental will cover 100% of a patient's costs (outside of basic cleanings), especially if the plan is provided by an employer. We see about 12 Delta Dental patients a day, and usually only 6 people a year have their full amount paid for by their insurance. These people have purchased their own high-dollar plans for this benefit.

If your employer does not offer insurance and you are considering Delta Dental, may I suggest just creating your own savings account? Put your insurance premiums in there instead. You could even safely invest it so it generates a return. That's what insurance companies are doing with YOUR money. Berkshire Hathaway owns Geico, which has helped Warren Buffet become the wealthiest investor the world has ever seen!

Afraid of runaway costs? Find a small dental practice and talk to them about financial arrangements. If paying cash, our office would gladly adjust the fees for you. I'd gladly even make the same adjustments Delta Dental would require, so you pay less. Then get Care Credit or set up a monthly payment plan. - It's win win. The patient pays less than what they would pay in overall premiums to Delta Dental, and the dental office actually gets paid without having to fight any vampires. Just a thought...

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I purchased a Delta Dental plan in Jan 2017 through the Affordable Care Act (Covered California). My out of pocket monthly premium was $50.99, the highest I could afford. In 2018 I had two implants in my lower left jaw. The Dentist calculated my out of pocket expense and what the normal or standard coverage would be through Delta. Several months later they informed me that I owe the balance of $1365.00 because Delta only pays for implants for those 19 years of age and younger. The online benefits summary tells me that Delta will pay 50-80% of implant related cost, depending on the dentist.

When I called Delta they informed me that the welcome brochure they sent me almost 2 years ago clearly stated the 19 year age limit. I pointed out that there was absolutely no information about any age limit in the only benefits summary. They refused to comment on that fact. I asked to speak to a manager. None was available and supposedly one will call me later. At the end of the call the Delta representative said "thanks for letting me make you smile". Total ripoff. I have paid over $1121 in premiums for a policy for teenagers, even though the online policy never states age limits. I bought the policy when I was 61 for me and no dependents. This is simply fraud.

Delta Dental Company Information