Delta Dental

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Delta Dental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Dental Plans Association?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I have Delta Dental through my employer and also as an individual policy. I thought this would be advantageous due to needing a lot of dental work. All they do is deny my estimates, even on appeal, I am denied. They state that they do not cover "erosion". But when the enamel on your teeth is "eroded" to the point of being unable to tolerate hot or cold or air you can't say you have good dental health. My dentist staff has diligently applied, appealed, resent information over and over and each time the work is denied by Delta. What is the point? For 20$ a month my dentist will do cleanings and X Rays and take 20% off fillings or any other work that is needed. That is better and much less headache than Delta. Insurance companies have ruined healthcare in this country. I'm cancelling Delta tonight and am glad to be rid of them.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

Benefits are terrible. Customer support is terrible. Wait Times are terrible. Dentist selection is terrible. Overall not one redeeming feature. This is even worse than most companies today. They sell you on service and don't deliver.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I called in because a claim, which can only be submitted by mail, was rejected because the first representative that told me how to fill out the form (by phone) missed the "procedure code" box. The 2nd representative wasn't aware that the form could only be submitted by snail mail, they'd also never seen the form and couldn't help me fill it out. When I asked for a list of procedure codes, I was told to google search to random sites. Heaven forbid I have a procedure other than a cleaning. What a mess. @Delta, please fire your CwhateverOs and get an engineer-intern to make you an online claim-submission form. Jesus Christ. It's 2022. Hell, I'll do it for free.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

They canceled my account for not paying premium but I had a credit card on file for autopay. Could not talk to anyone other than Tiki, Sylvia, Tamara. They kept putting me on hold and never transferred me.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I've had many providers over the years (like Metlife/BCBS) and Delta Dental has the worst customer service that I've ever gone through. I signed up for their DMO plan under my employer and in no circumstances did they provide which specific dental facility that I was going to be assigned to. So upon visiting my regular dentist for an annual cleaning, the coverage was not accepted. Multiple attempts were made by me and associates from my dentist's office to their customer service. All of our calls were hanged up. I waited an hour to get to a representative (Yvette) and once I mentioned my problem, she hanged up the call.

Upon further investigation, I discovered that the "facility" that I was assigned to had poor reviews/service. I'm very disappointed with this company and I'm actively looking to purchase my own dental plan instead. I'm glad that I take good care of my teeth because if I have to use Delta for any extensive procedures then I don't think I will get the proper coverage for it.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

So I have had Delta Dental thru market place since 2018. In April of 2021 there was some confusion from market place to Delta Dental. My coverage fell apart. I called Delta Dental. Reinstated me. Convinced me that I should switch directly and they would consider the two years as part of the switch, I started going for my bad tooth that broke to two pieces and I was in severe pain. Now I have paid 2500 dollars out of pocket so far because I am told this is new coverage. The previous 2 years don't mean anything. It was paid under the same SSN number. Plan was 50 dollars cheaper thru market place. They first told me it will be the same but have been taking out more. I did not complain. I figured they are giving me full coverage. Insurance companies SUCK.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I've noticed that there are some glowing reviews of Delta, and many more negative reviews. Why? I think part of the discrepancy may be due to the 2 forms of ins. they offer, one is thru employer, the other for individual. So, since I've never had it thru my employer, I can only speak to my experience procuring individual "insurance". As such, I'd recommend stay away from them. One thing that should alert your ** detector right off the bat is that they do not allow you to dis-enroll for one year, in other words you must pay them premiums for a full year. That is nonsense, I've never heard of any ins. that does not allow you to "cancel at any time". Only Delta. So after I subscribed for a year (while wondering why they didn't really pay much even for cleanings), I started year two.

I had one cleaning at an orthodontist and then found out (about a month later after their leisurely decision making process) that they would not pay because the ortho was "too good" or too professional. What? Too good? So anyway, finally I was fed up with them and called to cancel. Can't do! Not allowed! Delta was pulling monthly premiums from my credit card, an 'automated' pull. So I finally realized hey I can just change my card numbers, ask the card company to issue me a new card, and they did, end of a very unpleasant experience. In the end, why pay for this bogus "insurance", just pay your dentist if you trust that your dentist is charging you a reasonable rate (true, in this time many charges seem arbitrary and overinflated). Dental ins. unless it's through an employer is something of a rip-off in our country. Wait and hope that Biden can push through legislation to have it covered under Medicare, it's our only chance.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Delta care USA is the worst plan I have had in my career. Thought it was normal dental insurance. It only covers Aspen Dental or Great Expressions. I don’t want the McDonalds of dentistry. Going to get a cleaning and run from this plan next enrollment.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

DeltaCare USA is the worst dental plan I've used. When I signed up for the plan I was told maintenance visits were free, but after I went for a dental visit they would charge me $30 copay for teeth cleaning and x-ray. They don't allow you to just go to any dentist in their network. Instead they would assign one for you. When I needed to use another dentist, I had to call them several times to get reassigned. First they got the new dentist's fax wrong, then their phone line couldn't understand my enrollee ID, then they got the facility code of the new dentist wrong. It was horrible and frustrating. Do yourself a favor and don't use them!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Most, if not all, providers on list have the lowest reviews. My experience with two different providers is that they have extremely inflated prices and find dental “needs” that do not exist. My estimate from one: $7000 worth of work needed (1 year after having everything check out fine). Another: full set of x-rays yet “don’t know” was the angered answer to my asking if there were cavities - after I told him I wanted no cosmetic work done at the time. After three tries I still don’t have new cards requested.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Need better coverage for flippers and temporary fixes. Also need to be more helpful with implants and grafting. Customer service is hit and miss. Overall, the Clear Plan they offer may be the best, as there is no way for the company to back down for any coverage, since all coverage and copays are in black and white.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Since I have had my teeth removed and replaced by dentures there have been problems that had to be fixed or totally replaced by my Dentist. Delta has always provided a great amount of funding to support those fixes and/or replacements. I appreciate their benefits.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

They pay for almost everything. Last time I was there to have a tooth pulled and cut out. They paid all but 67 dollars. This insurance is well worth it. I have had them for over 10 years. They are the best and will not change.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

The Dental Insurance barely covers any work that needs to be done - I was actually told it would be cheaper to just not use insurance. The only thing the insurance was good for was the cleanings and x-rays.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

Delta Dental is affordable insurance. I get 2 free cleanings a year (and I need deep cleanings) I usually don't have any out of pocket costs. I got 2 crowns for the price that I would normally pay for one.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I have Medicare and Delta Dental is terrific. I no longer have "sticker shock" pricing... reasonable charges for expected situations. I had a 20 yr. old crown that came loose. And I walked out of the dentist office with $0 charge! I have regular annual maintenance which is very reasonable. I'm so happy again, to see the dentist. I'm 61 years old, and smiling again!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

This is by far the most horrible customer service I've come across for years. Your employer would pay 30k USD per year, for your health and dental insurance, and yet Delta Dental will allow themselves to be rude, inattentive, totally disrespectful to your time, you'd find yourself chasing after their endless errors for 8 months, exhausted and speaking to walls. Their customer service representatives tend to be extremely unprofessional. But Delta Dental controls the market, blocking all competitors, so they know you have nowhere to go. We should work hard with legislators to put an end to that.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I am happy that I have this service since Dental costs are so high. I think they cover the basics really well, but when it comes to a really big procedure like a crown or root canal, they cover around 50% or so. This certainly helps, but considering the cost is usually around $1200, it still leaves me with a significant bill.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

They pay for very little, I still have to come out my pocket with a lot of money for services. It slows up with me getting dental work because I have to pick and choose what comes first which is not cool.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Easy to use. No nonsense, just go and get it done. Show the app or paper and everything is ready to go. All major work seems to be covered. Basic services are covered as well. All you need in one simple to use solution.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I have had no problem with this company. They are very prompt in sending my reimbursement each time I go to the dentist. My Dentist requires payment upfront then they submit my claim. Within a week I usually have a check mailed to me.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Very limited number of doctors who will accept this insurance plan. My husband and I’ve paid out over $1500 so far this year in dental fees. One was for an emergency extraction that was of course out of network. Every dental visit costs us something because Delta Dental has refused to pay.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

They have always covered what needed to be. Always answers questions. Customer service or agents are very knowledgeable and always able to attain answers to questions. The provider network at least in my area is extensive.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

The best of the best. If it wasn’t for the coverage I get and the ease to use it everywhere I go I’d have real teeth problems. The coverage is the best I’ve ever had in my life. The ease of using it surpasses any I’ve had. Never turned away from any dentist. I have visited free cleanings 4 times a year, free X-rays and 50 percent off crowns, 80 percent fillings. It’s dirt cheap so my teeth are very well taken care of. They wouldn’t with others I had in the past. I can’t say enough great things about them except thanks.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Delta always has great providers in their network of dentists. Their coverage is average, in that it only covers so much, but some of that can be based on my employer's investment into such a provision.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Not enough choices for providers. The one I have charges more than my old dentist even with the "insurance". The one I have is also vision and is the same story. Glasses cost more than without insurance.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Premiums are too high and coverage is too low. I run out of coverage every year and have to pay out of pocket costs for dental care. Don't think they have changed their coverage in years even though dental costs have increased.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Haven't had any problems having Bill paid. Coverage is pretty good for average dental procedures. I would recommend it. Recently had a root canal and they paid half. Two cleanings per year totally covered.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Delta Dental insurance is worse than having no insurance. Delta will say your claim is covered and provide written documentation. The next day, Delta will deny the existence of that call and documentation. You can repeat this cycle endlessly. Being a Delta customer is a miserable experience, worse than any pain from a dentist's office. Be prepared for continuous misinformation and worthless coverage.

Original review: July 21, 2021

According to the plan, exams and cleanings are covered 100%, and the deductible is not applied to these services. So, how come I owe $70 for an exam and cleaning? The EOB is totally confusing, showing that services that should be covered 100% are still my responsibility. And unless you're willing to sit on the phone for a couple of hours, they will not explain anything to you. Never have I been this disappointed with my coverage.

Delta Dental Company Information