Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage
2.92/5

Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage

52 United Healthcare Dental Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I’m 35 & a single mom. I’ve been working for my job for 12 years. This is the dental insurance I have. 7 years ago I decided to go to the dentist because I had a lot of pain & needed a lot of work. At the time I was 28 & I was really focused on fixing the issues in the front top of my mouth. I went to a dentist that was in UHCD to only be told the work I needed was not covered. I needed several teeth pulled & was charged $200 each, I needed a root canal but most importantly I needed implants but those I couldn't afford so they suggested a bridge in the front. It’s 4 teeth & then I have a cap on the 5th. When they checked what was covered they told me nothing would be covered & I would have to pay out of pocket. $6500 later on my care credit card I’m still trying to pay it off. I’m now in almost the same exact scenario but this time the bridge I had done 7 years ago is lose & will fall out anytime.

I’m 35 & a single mom. I just bought my first home a year ago & used all my savings for the down payment & I have no way to pay to have a new bridge in. This new dentist also accepts this insurance company but nothing is covered. They suggested I try implants or denture implants but I don’t have 10k so they said they could do another bridge but it’s going to compromise the 2 real teeth I have left & was told I have no back molars except 2 & one of them is broken to the nerve & causing me pain. I’m unable to chew properly & I’m too afraid to talk because my front teeth are so lose. Care credit won’t increase my limit because I’m still trying to pay off the work I had 7 years ago. I can’t walk around without front teeth & dealing with this pain in the back molar. Why would an insurance company do this to people? So unethical & inhuman!! Please help me!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My Name is Donald ** here in California. I'm not gonna say much because there is no words or stars to compare to her extraordinary customer service she provide to me. She went above and behind and I end up over what I expect. The greatest helpful and knowledgeable agent I ever experience. 5 star is not enough for what she did to help me. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! CYNTHIA.

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

My husband and I were thrilled that this insurance was offered thru our Medicare. We talked with them about coverage etc. and went and signed up. We just found out from our dentist that they have denied everything for my husband other than cleaning and check up. I phoned the insurance and first was told his policy was cancelled and he had no insurance. Not true as it was being paid every month and I had proof. So they backed down on that and transferred me. But that was lie #1. Next person told me the reason they denied was because they hadn't gotten x-rays from dentist. I told them he sent them 3 times. Then the response I got was that they must be unreadable. Again lie #2 and #3.

Finally I was told that the crowns were not medically necessary. At this point I have a copy of the x-rays. I can see 2 nubs where the before photo was. His fillings had come out and there was not enough to refill so he needed crowns. These are 2 front upper teeth. So that was lie #4. This phone call took over 2 hours. Each person I was transferred to lied to me. We are now appealing but seriously people, do not use this insurance. Worthless. I am now reporting them to the Insurance Fraud division for my area. Don't let this company get away with this. Report them. This is criminal and we are senior citizens that are disabled and live off of SSI. Again, this is criminal.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I had planing and scaling ("deep cleaning") of some teeth. United Healthcare says that they will not pay anything toward my post-deep-cleaning checkup because it was less than 90 days after the deep cleaning. They say that this wait period varies by insurance provider, which suggests that, for some insurance companies, my dentist was all right to wait nearly two months instead of 90 days and suggests that waiting two months or 90 days ought to depend on the professional opinion of the dentist rather than the medical claims adjusters.

On the phone, UHC told me to to look at the EOB for the denied claim but they were surprised that the phone number provided for requesting an appeal form (not to make the appeal, but just to get the form so that we modern people can enjoy the comfort of writing a letter and mailing it to a PO box) was not a number intended for dental issues. They had no alternative phone number; they suggested handwriting a letter and mailing it to the PO box in SLC, UT. I have this insurance through my company. My conclusion: In the last year I have had to spend too much time on the phone and web with United Healthcare (dental and medical and vision). It may have been a pennywise mistake for my company to have switched.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

This dental plan is horrible. They don't cover what they say they do. They send you around and around in circles trying to get you to just give up when they tell you they won't cover a basic filling when your plan says no waiting period. They can't tell you where in the policy things are (because it isn't there), I read the policy from cover to cover. Horrible customer service, incompetent employees. Ridiculous wait times to even attempt to talk to a customer service representative. I got transferred 8 times over two days and 6 hours of phone calls. Got hung up on twice by their incompetent and useless employees.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Healthcare Dental Insurance?

Original review: July 24, 2019

I had this company when I lived in Florida, and I had no problems. Then I moved to California. My primary is pretty good, but trying to get other services is close to impossible. I have received incorrect info from company representatives and providers alike. And hope nothing needs to be done immediately. I’m trying to get a tooth extracted. I can’t even tell you all they put me through. First, they sent me to a dentist not on my plan. Got to a dentist, and got a referral. Won’t work. The provider was supposed to send some kind of referral, and didn't. Also, when I called the place they referred me to, it was the same place I had been to before that didn’t take my plan. Now they say it was because I was needed to be assigned an office. This goes on and on. Meanwhile, I have an infected tooth that needs to come out. But it doesn’t hurt so it’s not an emergency. Can’t wait until open enrollment when I can dump this company.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Paid my part to dentist on day of service that was over $500 limit allowed by UHC. Got a bill from dentist for more money they said I owed. Called UHC and found out they paid dentist more than I was charged. Rep was unable to explain why. Called dentist who said I would have to come in so she could explain why I now owed more than I was originally charged. Sounds like fraud to me. Why would UHC send dentist more money than I was charged? Charges from dentist I paid on day of service are there regular fees for service I received. Also $500 only covers x-rays and a cleaning. I have to go back to my previous out of network dentist to get my second cleaning this year and pay for it myself.

Original review: March 15, 2019

We have had United Healthcare Dental since 2014 through work, and every March during the renewal period they change the start date. We can never get off the waiting period list so it has been useless for orthodontic, dentures or crowns. Shopping around so we can get our needs met.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have had to appeal at least 2 claims this year to even get payment for a routine dental exam. They also refused to pay for anesthesia for my daughter to have her impacted wisdom teeth removed. Worthless insurance, have to jump through hoops to get them to pay a claim! Run, run far away. Anyone is better than them!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I received a bill from my dentist for $124 after United Healthcare Dental paid their share. The website shows the same coverage percentages for in network and out of network providers. I wrongly assumed the amounts covered for basic services (cleaning, x-rays and exam) would be comparable. I called United customer service and they said the percentages on the website were based on the amounts United covers, not the amounts billed by the dentist.

It would be very helpful to those of us on a fixed income if we had honest, easy to understand coverage information before we attempt to use the insurance. There would be no way to tell how much United would cover unless they have “codes.” When I called the dentist, they stated they can’t tell me either until they submit the relevant information and codes to United. Unfortunately, the in network dentist I used to go to was terrible. My options are to pay much more each month for better coverage, drive 40 miles and see if I can find a decent dentist in network, or pay more for dental services. Like most health insurance in the US, if you are poor, you are screwed.

United Healthcare Dental Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

United Healthcare is one of the largest companies and healthcare insurance providers in the world. The insurance provider has a large range of dental insurance plans for its clients.

• A huge network: Over 200,000 dentists are in United Healthcare's network.

• Medicare plans: Those with Medicare can apply for coverage.

• Free quotes: Prospective customers can estimate total costs on United's website.

• No waiting period: Never wait for preventive care or major procedures and preventive care is covered at 100 percent with no deducible.

• Pediatric dental: Certain dental coverage for dependent under age 19 is offered through United HealthCare’s medical plan.

• Best for: United Healthcare is good for large employers looking for a dependable dental insurance plan as well as families looking for great coverage. The company has announced it will no longer sell insurance on federal and state exchanges in 2017.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

United Healthcare Dental Insurance Company Information