Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage
3.07/5

Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage

46 United Healthcare Dental Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 27, 2019

Paid my part to dentist on day of service that was over $500 limit allowed by UHC. Got a bill from dentist for more money they said I owed. Called UHC and found out they paid dentist more than I was charged. Rep was unable to explain why. Called dentist who said I would have to come in so she could explain why I now owed more than I was originally charged. Sounds like fraud to me. Why would UHC send dentist more money than I was charged? Charges from dentist I paid on day of service are there regular fees for service I received. Also $500 only covers x-rays and a cleaning. I have to go back to my previous out of network dentist to get my second cleaning this year and pay for it myself.

Original review: March 15, 2019

We have had United Healthcare Dental since 2014 through work, and every March during the renewal period they change the start date. We can never get off the waiting period list so it has been useless for orthodontic, dentures or crowns. Shopping around so we can get our needs met.

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have had to appeal at least 2 claims this year to even get payment for a routine dental exam. They also refused to pay for anesthesia for my daughter to have her impacted wisdom teeth removed. Worthless insurance, have to jump through hoops to get them to pay a claim! Run, run far away. Anyone is better than them!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I received a bill from my dentist for $124 after United Healthcare Dental paid their share. The website shows the same coverage percentages for in network and out of network providers. I wrongly assumed the amounts covered for basic services (cleaning, x-rays and exam) would be comparable. I called United customer service and they said the percentages on the website were based on the amounts United covers, not the amounts billed by the dentist.

It would be very helpful to those of us on a fixed income if we had honest, easy to understand coverage information before we attempt to use the insurance. There would be no way to tell how much United would cover unless they have “codes.” When I called the dentist, they stated they can’t tell me either until they submit the relevant information and codes to United. Unfortunately, the in network dentist I used to go to was terrible. My options are to pay much more each month for better coverage, drive 40 miles and see if I can find a decent dentist in network, or pay more for dental services. Like most health insurance in the US, if you are poor, you are screwed.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I am disabled and have a life threatening disease (which doesn't matter to the low life's that you hired). 1 hour later, 4 representatives (all separate calls because 3 out of the 4 reps PURPOSELY sent me to wrong transferred lines and blatantly lied about warm transferring me), all to JUST confirm and make sure my dental plan was cancelled for 1/1/19. Yet NO one could accomplish this. These trailer trash losers couldn't transfer correctly (twice), even when I BEGGED them to do their jobs correctly bc I am so sick. I Promises to warm transfer (twice) were complete LIES. Cold transferred (incorrectly).

Flat out REFUSAL to give me a Managers name! I've worked in similar companies, I know you degenerates have this information. Complete trash that will never amount to anything because they choose a life without morals and integrity. They don't deserve even this job. The reviews below are CORRECT - crooks that should be sterilized so they never procreate. Read review below to call State Insurance to complain if they aren't cancelling your insurance policy. I will NEVER use UHC again and I will be spreading this for years to come.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Healthcare Dental Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Poor Management Practices. Found myself in the never ending hold cycle of United Healthcare that appears to be designed solely to prevent you from canceling your policy. If you are encountering similar service, you can file a complaint with your State Insurance Commission and thus create a paper trail that backs your timeline. Your State Insurance Commission is required to contact United Healthcare on your behalf and the x amount of days to respond.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Incompetent lying thieves. Endless phone transfers to people with no authority to accomplish anything. Crooks! Scammers! Elaborate phone system that goes around in circles and ends up nowhere. Idiots on the phone know nothing. Liars! Obfuscatory! Crooks! Every person that works for these thieves should be sterilized to keep them from corrupting the gene pool.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I got a UHC Dental Insurance from my job. I have to spend $50 per month for insurance. I went to doctor to check up my teeth, he did basic cleaning and told me I have to do few filling & small deep cleaning, my doctor sent pre-approval but company denied even though they are supposed to cover 60-80%. My doctor office and I talked with them too many times but they are keep denying. My husband is also struggling with his teeth. Doctor sent pre-approval to deep cleaning for him. The quote was just around $650 but this insurance said, my husband does not need deep cleaning because his teeth is very bad so instead of doing treatment just extract his all teeth. I could not imagine how can person who is on his 50s live without his teeth. We cannot afford for all new teeth. Of course insurance does not cover for new teeth at all. Please someone suggest me how to fight with this company.

Original review: June 14, 2018

My issue began in March of 2018 when a bottom tooth broke after being filled. So my dentist requested a crown since the tooth is not able to be filled and a crown was necessary. This crown was denied 5 times and each time United Healthcare had a new reason. First time was a pre-authorization which was denied due to not enough information submitted for a root canal, which as I told the representative when I called I did not need a root canal only the crown. So the dentist office submitted another pre-authorization.

Second denial was because not enough cavity, cavity? Is what I told the representative on the second call, there will be no cavity in the images since my tooth was cleaned of cavity filled, and now broke. The representative now suggests I submit an appeal which I did. The response again was not enough cavity, which again I called to explain for a 3rd time. So I submit a second appeal, once more it is denied this time stating it was medically unnecessary, and they went further and told me the dentist told them it wasn't necessary.

Again I call United Healthcare to discuss this false information, the representative this time tells me she doesn't understand why I am being denied since I am covered for crowns. She goes further and tells me she will call my dentist's office to make sure they have what is needed on the next pre-authorization. She lets me know that as long as it is noted the crown is medically necessary and with details there should be no problem. Well, she was wrong. Here I am in June, this started in March, my tooth can break again at any time, I can't even chew on my right side without risking the tooth breaking more. Their response today, June 14th is Vague Information, denied again.

Something needs to be done regarding this company, they have lied and acted without morals or conscience regarding their patient's well being. Don't tell me it is not necessary to be able to chew without breaking your teeth even more being made to chew only on one side. And they are not only corrupt in the dental section, it goes into regular treatment by doctors where they are just as bad in general healthcare with doctors who act as if they don't have the time or care to treat you. Please look into this corrupt company.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I work for a dental office. My job is to submit, follow up on, and review dental insurance claims. Trust me, you DO NOT want United Healthcare dental coverage! They deny EVERY claim we send them. Recently they have started sending their claims to a third party and they separate the attachments that we send. (The xrays and pictures showing why procedures are needed). Then when the 3rd party gets the claim they send a letter saying they need the information so we have to email the information. Then they say they never received it and they deny the claim for that reason. When we have sent the information several times!

Then they refuse to send the denial which makes it impossible to appeal the denial! It's like they are trying everything possible to cheat the system! The sad part is in North Carolina where we are the retired teachers and state officials have this plan! So this company is taking the retirement benefits of some of our hard working, low paid government employees! SAD and Low of such a large company!

United Healthcare Dental Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

United Healthcare is one of the largest companies and healthcare insurance providers in the world. The insurance provider has a large range of dental insurance plans for its clients.

• A huge network: Over 200,000 dentists are in United Healthcare's network.

• Medicare plans: Those with Medicare can apply for coverage.

• Free quotes: Prospective customers can estimate total costs on United's website.

• No waiting period: Never wait for preventive care or major procedures and preventive care is covered at 100 percent with no deducible.

• Pediatric dental: Certain dental coverage for dependent under age 19 is offered through United HealthCare’s medical plan.

• Best for: United Healthcare is good for large employers looking for a dependable dental insurance plan as well as families looking for great coverage. The company has announced it will no longer sell insurance on federal and state exchanges in 2017.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

United Healthcare Dental Insurance Company Information