3.47/5
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a dental plan?

38 United Healthcare Dental Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

My issue began in March of 2018 when a bottom tooth broke after being filled. So my dentist requested a crown since the tooth is not able to be filled and a crown was necessary. This crown was denied 5 times and each time United Healthcare had a new reason. First time was a pre-authorization which was denied due to not enough information submitted for a root canal, which as I told the representative when I called I did not need a root canal only the crown. So the dentist office submitted another pre-authorization.

Second denial was because not enough cavity, cavity? Is what I told the representative on the second call, there will be no cavity in the images since my tooth was cleaned of cavity filled, and now broke. The representative now suggests I submit an appeal which I did. The response again was not enough cavity, which again I called to explain for a 3rd time. So I submit a second appeal, once more it is denied this time stating it was medically unnecessary, and they went further and told me the dentist told them it wasn't necessary.

Again I call United Healthcare to discuss this false information, the representative this time tells me she doesn't understand why I am being denied since I am covered for crowns. She goes further and tells me she will call my dentist's office to make sure they have what is needed on the next pre-authorization. She lets me know that as long as it is noted the crown is medically necessary and with details there should be no problem. Well, she was wrong. Here I am in June, this started in March, my tooth can break again at any time, I can't even chew on my right side without risking the tooth breaking more. Their response today, June 14th is Vague Information, denied again.

Something needs to be done regarding this company, they have lied and acted without morals or conscience regarding their patient's well being. Don't tell me it is not necessary to be able to chew without breaking your teeth even more being made to chew only on one side. And they are not only corrupt in the dental section, it goes into regular treatment by doctors where they are just as bad in general healthcare with doctors who act as if they don't have the time or care to treat you. Please look into this corrupt company.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I work for a dental office. My job is to submit, follow up on, and review dental insurance claims. Trust me, you DO NOT want United Healthcare dental coverage! They deny EVERY claim we send them. Recently they have started sending their claims to a third party and they separate the attachments that we send. (The xrays and pictures showing why procedures are needed). Then when the 3rd party gets the claim they send a letter saying they need the information so we have to email the information. Then they say they never received it and they deny the claim for that reason. When we have sent the information several times!

Then they refuse to send the denial which makes it impossible to appeal the denial! It's like they are trying everything possible to cheat the system! The sad part is in North Carolina where we are the retired teachers and state officials have this plan! So this company is taking the retirement benefits of some of our hard working, low paid government employees! SAD and Low of such a large company!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 14, 2018

I had a problem tooth. After three fillings it was more filling than tooth, and so sensitive that they had to split each operation into two sessions. The root was semi-exposed and eating and drinking hurt. My dentist and I tried everything to save the tooth, but nothing seemed to work. Eventually he suggested a crown to save it and to lessen the pain. I figured that since I was "lucky" enough to have insurance that covered crowns, I would be able to afford it. The crown worked perfectly and the pain vanished. I could eat and go to the dentist for cleanings without agony. Couldn't believe it.

Of course, United Healthcare denied the claim, stating that the extreme pain I had been in was not a justifiable reason to put in the crown. Fillings hadn't worked, but whatever soulless automaton makes the case and appeal decisions was more interested in stealing my money every month in return for nothing. They told me I was approved for just a filling even though the tooth was over 50% filling already, and that hadn't solved the problem. I count my lucky stars that my dentist was an honest enough person to finance the crown where my insurance wouldn't. He paid out of pocket -- at a higher amount than United -- to make sure I could afford the life-changing operation. The office staff there informed me that United is the only insurance company that denies procedures in these circumstances. The ONLY one.

Everything worked out, but United proved themselves to me as a cheap, uncaring company that would rather their clients live with debilitating pain than approve a simple crown I already more than paid for monthly. I'm stuck with them because of my employer, but if you have the ability, avoid United at all costs. They will abandon you when you need them the most.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

In Feb 2017 I contacted United to inquire about a possible health coverage for my 2 teenagers daughters. I clearly mentioned: I am just looking for prices; I am not ready to start a policy. Sure enough in July 2017 when I brought my daughters for a routine teeth cleaning to my medical dentist, I was told by my dentist that she could not assist my daughters, because they were under United Health Care coverage!!! Medical told me to contact United and ask them to send me a letter saying that I did not have any coverage with them. In Sept 2017 I called their customer service and they told me I would receive the letter in 14 business days: NOT TRUE. I called again in Nov and Dec 2017: Now they could not find any info about my daughters!

Called back on Jan 18 2018: finally one rep was able to find my records and she told me that the lady in Sept 2017 did in reality send a letter saying that the policy was not valid, but she sent it to the Social Services in Chatsworth, Ca??? (I specifically asked that lady to send the letter to my house in Canoga Park.) Now a new lady (Linda) in Feb 18 tells me that I would receive another letter, this time at my house in Canoga Park in 14 business days. 3 weeks went by: I called again and asked for Linda: nobody knew about a Linda??? A new rep tells me that United can't send me a letter stating that the policy is not effective because I never got any benefits in first place from United??? My conclusion: Some of the reps in United are mentally incapacitated. Some of them CARE LESS about people problems. Frankly I do not know which is worst. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY: THEY MAKE ME THROW UP.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Middle-of-the-road level coverage (excluding the unusually generous dental implants benefits) that seems too costly -- The practice manager at my dentist's office recently suggested that it might cost me less money to drop the insurance and just pay my dental bills out of my own pocket. Typically, regardless of what service has been provided, my copays nearly inevitably are higher than Dental Dental's reimbursement payout. Basically, I'm paying significantly more per treatment than Delta Dental pays to my dentist.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Healthcare Dental Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

The dental office assured me they have repeatedly sent the x-rays. The insurance co. of course states they do not have the x-rays. I also have United Healthcare medical and they approved a surgery in September but refuse to pay the surgeon. The doctor office has refiled and sent the office notes but of course United claims they do not have the info. This sounds shady to me since it involves all of our claims for 2017.

UPDATE ON 05/09/2018: I had a crown break off at the gum line. My dental office took an x-ray and I had a bridge done back on 7/6/17. United denied that claim stating x rays not received and they have been sent several times. Now 5/9/18 they finally admit they have the x-rays denied again. I called and now they denied because they did not get full mouth x-rays which they do not do for 1 broken tooth. My dentist office said full mouth x-rays are only done every 5 to 7 years.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I tried to find online on google search a good insurance with great recommendations from other customers. There were a lot of insurances I could choose from but the United Healthcare Dental stands completely out for me in every positive review I was reading, so I choosed this insurance for myself! I like the outstanding customer service from United Healthcare Dental! Very fast response all the time when I have questions or when I’m concerned about anything like the costs I will have a dentist appointment, we all know how expensive it could be without an insurance! I really like this company a lot. They take good care of their customers. The only thing I dislike a little bit was the online application to fill out. It was a very long list from all things they wanted to know, and I thought it was a insurance for my teeth.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I enjoy many features provided by my dental care such as routine check ups and cleanings being covered as well as emergency visits and x-rays for toothaches being a covered benefit. They also have hassle free billing for the most part which is very nice. My policy is through the government program Medicaid. I was sent a letter asking which insurance provider I would rather have and I chose the one with the most coverage and least amount of billing issues. But there are a few things that I would change such as the amount of coverage per person for non-routine dental care. Coverage for services such as fluoride and crowns would be covered as well.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I absolutely love the policy because it offers free cleanings throughout the year, and the main factors that makes this insurance so amazing to me is that I always have a Decent co-pay, great customer service when asking about coverage and cost of co-pay, very reliable insurance! I have had great pleasure of being with this company. I am always taken care of with great co-pays. I have had the best experience with this insurance. Choosing this plan was easy and affordable, very simple. It was recommended to me by my mother, nothing but great comments from other family members as well.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

United Healthcare Dental Insurance has good coverage, easy to deal with, accepted at a lot of dentists' offices. I completed my enrollment in person and some of it was online. I chose it through word of mouth and I feel that is the best way to decide certain things. Their customer service department is very pleasant as well and the cost is good. I am quite happy with them. This is by far the most user friendly dental insurance I have had in a very long time.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I reviewed multiple insurance policies online and called for quotes over the phone also online and this policy was more fit for my budget with dental included. United Healthcare Dental Insurance has variety of general doctors and specialists and hospitals near my area. Also has customer service in 24 hours and referrals are taken care immediately. Also have late hour doctors office that can accommodate my hours.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I chose United Healthcare Dental Insurance because my employer pays a portion. This makes it an easy choice with virtually no work on my end because we have someone who does the enrollment at my office. I trust my employer and their choices with insurance companies and offers through this company. I like that I pay nothing for standard cleanings and fillings but I wish that orthodontics and white fillings were fully covered. I feel like even on more than basic plans procedures are incredibly expensive. Also, it would be easier if there was an app with easy access to coverage and cost analysis for services provided.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

A friend of mine recommended me to check it out and told me that him and his family enjoyed having it. I like the low deductibles and the in-network providers they provide are very close to my house so I don't have to go far. But sometimes I don't get a representative that is knowledgeable.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

It was a very simple process, switching to UnitedHealthcare Dental. It was through the company that employs me. The policy was chosen to be the best for my family. It was quite a simple process which was done online. I really like how United Healthcare is willing to work with their customers. I also like how I can still go to the dentist that I have gone to for years, even when I had to switch to this insurance company. UnitedHealthcare Dental has good customer service and is an overall good company to have insurance through. They have always seemed to care about their customers and their interests. Perhaps they could be easier to get a hold of and contact, but even that isn't too bad.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I like that this company pays fair amount of payments without very big deductibles and not very big co-payments when you go in to have the work done at your appointment. My dentist would take it and it was easy to get my appointments. They always file my insurance and make it easy for me. But there were several that would not take it and the limit of coverage is so low. No matter what happens they will only pay so much of your dental payments and that they only pay for one cleaning per year.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I love everything about the dental place that I have and the insurance that they offer. I like the rebates for check ups, which is a major plus and works out good for me. There's good cards for going to each check up for everyone in my household. They have friendly service and good people that work for the company. They have been very honest about everything to me and let me know how complicated some things might be. I have never had any problems with anything for having this dental service. Everything has been fixed for me and it was the best decision.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I was able to choose this policy thanks to the field of work that I am in and the options to health care that they provide to me and my family in all. One feature that I like from this insurance company is that they are always in contact with me and tell me whenever something is up with my insurance. But I wish this insurance had better plans when it comes to financing and seeing just what your insurances would cover since they cut off for some reason.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I love the fact that you pay for a certain amount out-of-pocket for services covered by your plan before my insurance starts paying and this is completely great. I love all the features about the health insurance company. After I meet my deductible, you are responsible for a percentage of covered expenses. This is your coinsurance. Most UnitedHealthcare dental plans feature either a 20% or 30% coinsurance. Under some dental plans, you might pay a fixed cost for certain services, like X-rays. This is called a copay. But I called in and discussed it with the young man.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

The process of getting my United Healthcare Dental plan was very fast and easy. They made me feel like a valued customer and I had no problems with them whatsoever. United Healthcare Dental provides me with great Dental coverage for an affordable price. I enjoy their coverage and their insurance rates and hope to continue to buy from them in the future.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I signed up for dental insurance Online through my employer’s website. The process was simple and easy. I was able to review a pamphlet as well as online information pertaining to the plan and coverage information. The information was detailed and easy to see which plan was best for me. When I went to my employee’s portal to make my selection, I found what I wanted, clicked it and confirmed it. I feel that this company is very similar to all other companies with basic coverage. You get two covered cleanings a year but have to pay a lot out of pocket for anything else that is needed.

If possible, insurance companies should try and cover more than just the basic dental procedures such as cleanings since most Americans need more than just a cleaning. Cover needed fillings, crowns, etc. especially if poor mouth hygiene leads to other health issues, dental insurance needs to cover more. Also, the dental industry needs to make dental work much more affordable. There are middle-class families that cannot afford to get dental work done because of inflated prices. Something needs to be done and insurance companies are trying but to keep up with inflated dental costs and unnecessary high prices is hard and pretty much impossible. Overall, insurance companies are not at fault and are offering insurance coverage that seems to be the norm amongst most insurances. It's the dental industry itself that needs to change.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

United Healthcare Dental Insurance has a service that really does care about how I'm treated. They are easy to use, fast, quick, great customer service that is helpful, easy to understand policy that helps keep the cost down so I can always use it to receive a check up without having to worry about costs or care.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

United Healthcare Dental Insurance was recommended to me by coworkers and friends that have had past experience. I also did my own research and they had good reviews. Their dentist office location is also very convenient to where I live and they have hours that work for my schedule as well. They have nice staff and the dentist is very knowledgeable and puts me at ease. However, I do not like the different copays that are needed for different services they offer and sometimes the waiting time can be long since they are very popular in the area they are located in.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

United Healthcare Dental Insurance help me when I need to pay for something that is really expensive. It is something that is really good for me to have because then I will be able to not to worry about the payment plans. However, they do not help me all the time and a lot of times it takes forever for me to be able to get the payment that I need from them. Adds a lot of stress to my life which I do not need.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

United Healthcare dental insurance was put on us by our employer. The process is very easy that was a plus, and we did not do it online but a rep comes to work twice a year. The cost was crazy. I paid them more money in a year than they covered. For instance last year I needed a crown they paid 200 of a 700 dollar bill. It really made me mad. I couldn't believe it.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I choose their policy through my employer so it was a pretty easy process and I didn't have to do much of the legwork or picking out good options to choose from. In addition to never had any customer service problems or other technical problems that I can speak, I found that I have plenty of in-network dentists to choose from. However, I wish that their insurance website was much easier to navigate. Other than that, I don't have many issues with it.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

United Healthcare is a well known company. This insurance pays 100 percent of my 2 yearly cleanings which is a very big plus. I also insure my children with them. They also pay 100 percent of any x-rays I need. I like that this payment comes directly out of my paycheck. I also like that this company is located all over the United States and has offices here in my home state of Minnesota.

I choose my policy through my work. There was only one choice in my job of retail, so this was a very easy choice to make. I did it online so it was a very easy process. However, I wish that United Healthcare would pay more for root canals or even for simple cavities. I also wish that they had a different dental card. The operators should be a little more friendly and helpful also when you call.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Not having to pay out of pocket is always nice. It also allows peace of mind in case something comes up and it's an emergency situation, I know it's all taken care of. Their process was pretty straightforward. I did a good bit of it online and had to call the number to talk to a person to complete the registration and give extra info to. Like with most insurance policies of all types, the premiums of United Healthcare Dental Insurance are a bit steep. Peace of mind comes at a price though, but it's still rather expensive. I would like to see some discounts for having good checkups, or something of that nature.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I have always worried about not having good insurance and I looked for the best policy for my family. I needed something that would be right for us and protect us so that we would always be taken care of in case something goes wrong. I like the way that United Healthcare has always made it so simple and easy on me. I have always felt like I have gotten the best care that was available to me and my family.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I selected the insurance via paperwork that was delivered to me. I also spent ages on the phone trying to figure out what would be covered (hint:very little). It's not so much insurance as it is a discount. The work that I need is still too expensive. I guess the insurance makes it slightly less so - I suppose I like that aspect. But they don't actually pay for anything. I need extensive dental work done and there's just no way I can afford it even with insurance. Unfortunately, since I have the dental issues that I do, it makes it difficult for me to get a better job that would hopefully come with better dental insurance - vicious cycle.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

United Healthcare Dental Insurance is a great company with good policies. They always set me up for my premiums and that me and my family's best interests are at heart with their insurance. They do everything well - the rates are great and their support people are very attentive to our dental needs. Top notch service from this company as they treat us great.

United Healthcare Dental Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

United Healthcare is one of the largest companies and healthcare insurance providers in the world. The insurance provider has a large range of dental insurance plans for its clients.

• A huge network: Over 200,000 dentists are in United Healthcare's network.

• Medicare plans: Those with Medicare can apply for coverage.

• Free quotes: Prospective customers can estimate total costs on United's website.

• No waiting period: Never wait for preventive care or major procedures and preventive care is covered at 100 percent with no deducible.

• Pediatric dental: Certain dental coverage for dependent under age 19 is offered through United HealthCare’s medical plan.

• Best for: United Healthcare is good for large employers looking for a dependable dental insurance plan as well as families looking for great coverage. The company has announced it will no longer sell insurance on federal and state exchanges in 2017.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
    Cyril Tuohy

Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

United Healthcare Dental Insurance Company Information