3.8/5 (505 ratings)

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

United Healthcare Dental Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Healthcare Dental Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I have spent the last 1.15 hours trying to find a dentist through UHC. I called two dentists from the "Find Care" database. Then I called UHC and they referred me to 3 more. Then I called them back again and UHC gave me three more referrals. NONE OF THESE DENTISTS TAKE UHC Medicare Advantage. One of the reasons I joined this insurance is because of the dental benefit and now I find out they have a whole database of dentists who do not even take the coverage. I am just starting with the service and I wonder what other new discoveries I will make.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I am in third stage kidney failure, this insurance company only picks me up maybe two out of every six appointments. They won't even call to say that they're not coming. I spent hours on the phone setting up rides to no avail. I would definitely not recommend this insurance company. They have hung up on me multiple times...

Get buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

My wife just had a routine dental cleaning appointment. The very last part of any dental cleaning is topical application of fluoride varnish (feels like same cleaning you do twice a day using electrical toothbrush). Payment was denied because of age? Are we talking about age discrimination here? Does she suppose to leave the dentist without that final part of a very straightforward and simple procedure? Does it mean after certain age you receive incomplete service because of your age? How in the world she could even be aware of those details? Again: we are talking about teeth cleaning with electric toothbrush after routine dental cleaning which took about a minute or so? Something is just not right!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

I have had this insurance for several years through my work. I sure do wish that I had kept my previous insurance, even if I paid more for private insurance. I end up paying at every cleaning and checkup because this insurance pays for barely anything at all that goes along with cleanings and preventative care. Last October, I had a large filling fall out. My dentist said that it was too large to refill with a filling, because there was not enough tooth left to hold, and I would have lost the tooth unless I did a crown. Well, this horrible insurance would not cover any of it and said that they would only cover a composite filling which would not have been possible. It is sickening that this is acceptable and legal. This is literally the only reason for me to have dental insurance, and they are completely worthless. What a shady, thieving company. Do not recommend.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

This is the worst dental insurance I have ever had and I will never buy it again. I have never had trouble getting approval to get a crown and all they have done since the start of the process in May of 2022 is give me the run around. Every time I call to follow up on approval, they say they did not receive the x-ray, narratives, etc. My dentist sent it multiple time and each time you call the staff is so discombobulated that no one knows what is going on and can't find anything. I finally received notice in August 2022 that my claim was denied as it was necessary.

I tried to file an appeal and was told I didn't need to as they were missing the x-ray (once again) and all of the pieces are there they just have to find them. Each time I called to follow up they said they did not have the x-ray or the narrative or this and that, and I felt it was done intentionally to discourage and delay paying for the crown. After another review it was declined again. I haven't chewed on the side of my mouth that needs the crown as my dentist said the tooth may fracture and then it would have to be pulled. I will be filing a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner regarding their insurance practices.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

This review is for healthcare not Dental. My incident started in June of this year, 2022. My primary Dr referred me to another Dr, ended up that Dr wanted a CT scan of my thyroid, which was done in June. Next appt was in July, and then one in August. On the first hospital visit to get these tests done, I was told I had to pay $100.00 deductible, but if I paid it that day they would discount it to $87.00, so I paid it right then. Never heard anything at all from any of the three tests... no bills, no EOB, no nothing until a few days ago.

Hospital (IN-NETWORK) called and said I owe (apx) $400.00 from those 3 tests...I HAD NO IDEA. Anyway, I called UHC, rep (Alley) said it was already paid in full by my plan. She put me on hold & tried to reach local rep at hosp. That rep was out to lunch. Alley said she left her a VM. Nothing resolved. I had to call UHC again.

That rep said, "Oh no, you owe it". So she put me on hold to call local hosp again. Held for apx 10 min. Nothing resolved again. I called local hosp next day & rep said UHC did not call them at all, so I held all that time for NOTHING!! Hosp ins dept said, "Don't pay that, they will pull original EOB," so wait for another call from them. I'm still waiting. Also, I want to let people know that every time you call UHC, calls go overseas. You can barely understand them, and have to repeat over & over. UHC is the WORST ins. co. EVER!! I will be switching!! We are seniors & pay a lot for premiums. End result is STAY AWAY from UHC. I would give them a rating of -5 if I could.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

Don't bother with their dental coverage. They list 8 dental providers on the AARP Medicare Advantage United Healthcare site as accepting coverage in my area but NONE take new patients. The closest I can get a dentist is over 12 miles away. No transportation provided for Medicare recipients. No openings until March 2023. Confirmed this with Patient Advocate Elli after being disconnected and placed on hold for over 2 hours this afternoon.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

This is through AARP medicare United Healthcare dental section. They denied my claim of recementing a inlay that fell out... Very simple, needed to be put back in, or get a new one. Cost for a new one is over $1,300, recement $185.. Won't pay for this... poor coverage...

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

HealthsafeID is worthless. On the registration screen it capitalized the first letter when you select a password but not on the sign-in screen when you enter in. Naturally you get rejected over and over. Resetting the password gets you nowhere! The site would be better if UHC didn’t use HealthsafeID at all.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

While UHC Medicare Advantage is fair for medical issues, their Dental Program is TERRIBLE. They denied claims to have a tooth evaluated and sent me to a local shopping center dentist for the extraction, then denied second opinions and visits to determine next steps. Then informed me I had exhausted my benefits before anything further could be done. I changed to Delta Dental just to get rid of UHC Dental. SENIORS BEWARE. UHC blames it on "coding errors". I blame it on the DENTAL DIVISION of UHC. Please report them to your local Medicare office.

United Healthcare Dental Insurance author review by Cyril Tuohy

United Healthcare is one of the largest companies and healthcare insurance providers in the world. The insurance provider has a large range of dental insurance plans for its clients.

• A huge network: Over 200,000 dentists are in United Healthcare's network.

• Medicare plans: Those with Medicare can apply for coverage.

• Free quotes: Prospective customers can estimate total costs on United's website.

• No waiting period: Never wait for preventive care or major procedures and preventive care is covered at 100 percent with no deducible.

• Pediatric dental: Certain dental coverage for dependent under age 19 is offered through United HealthCare’s medical plan.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Advisor

Cyril Tuohy has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

United Healthcare Dental Insurance Company Information