Call Now Toll Free
Shop on Health Network
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.74/5

United Healthcare Dental Insurance Call Now Toll Free (855) 399-1821 Shop on Health Network

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now
Call Now Toll Free

United Healthcare Dental Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Healthcare Dental Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Oct 30, 2020 Called customer service about letter from United Healthcare stating dental claim denied. Total time on phone was 90 minutes. Female rep (she stated her name however due to her broken English I couldn’t understand what she said, which I now regret not getting it for my records) kept putting me on hold, saying she’s checking, couldn’t find record of it probably because it’s too new, told her letter dated 10/20/20, I received it 10/30/20. She verified I have dental platinum rider.

After an hour of on and off on hold she said she’ll try to connect with someone in dental department. What a concept! Then she said service denied because exam is allowed only once in 36 months. Told her I have cancer and chemotherapy weakened my teeth causing a molar to crack and break off near gum line. She asked why dentist did exam but no treatment, told her no dentist would perform treatment without an exam to assess condition of tooth. 30 more minutes went by with her saying she’s still trying to connect with someone who could answer, then said I have to appeal the denial, about that time a 2nd female came on the phone but I couldn’t hear what she was saying so asked her to say again then phone connection ended. Will definitely appeal this.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I just spent over an hour speaking to a customer representative at United Healthcare. I thought I had 2 very simple questions about the Dental Platinum plan rider that I needed answered in order to decide whether to purchase the rider or not. I went online first to find a list of in-network dentists and then to use their cost calculator. The cost calculator was not working. So I decided to call one of the dentists on the lists. Was immediately told that they do not participate. I'm not absolutely sure that they understood the insurance plan. They didn't seem to have heard about it. But when I mentioned United Healthcare and Medicare they said they don't participate. I then decided to call UHC and was assisted by a very courteous representative. But she could not answer my questions.

I would have been fine if she told me that she was unable to answer my questions and transfer me to somebody else. Instead, she kept reading from a script that did not even come close to answering my questions. She continued to provide general information. This went on for over 30 minutes. I finally told her that it seemed she was not able to assist me and I requested a supervisor. I was placed on hold. She did check in every 2 minutes for the first 10 minutes and then she never came back. I waited another 10 minutes. She never hung up on her end.

I heard chatter but received no response when I talked into the phone. I finally hung up. I wasted over 3 hours including my research on-line without an answer to my 2 questions. BTW, my 2 questions: 1. Can they help me with the cost calculator and 2. What am I communicating to dentists when I call to confirm if they still participate in the plan. Do I say Dental Platinum or UHC Dental Platinum or UHC Medicare Dental Platinum? The original representative I spoke to kept asking if I wanted to add the rider. After this experience, my answer is definitely, no!

Get buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I spoke with a woman named Robin (amazing). She was such an amazing help! I had gone on the health plans website and scheduled an appointment with a company that doesn't accept my insurance and your website said it did. Robin was able to get me an appointment in less than 48hours. I am so impressed with her, she's very polite, understanding, and amazed me. I would like to compliment her for an astounding job, and it sounds like she enjoys it!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I had a tooth that cracked all the way to the tip of the root, was in pain and had an infection at the root. I went to my dentist who took xrays, said I needed to have the tooth pulled and that it could not be saved. Was told the oral surgeon in their practice did not take my insurance. My dentist gave me antibiotics to get rid of the infection. Which was imperative as I had a total knee replacement 3 months prior.

So I called my insurance company and they sent over a list of oral surgeons, which at first glance looked lengthy but in reality has the same names over and over at different locations. There were a total of 5 oral surgeons in network. I called every one of them only to be told they do not have oral surgeons at their practice!! I phoned back United Health Care and a SUPERVISOR, who was very nice, tried finding me an oral surgeon in network for 2 weeks. At which point she called me back and told me she had no luck finding one. She suggested I go get the tooth taken care of out of network and file an appeal when my claim was denied. So I did just that. The appeal was denied for not using an oral surgeon in network!! THEY DID NOT HAVE ANY IN NETWORK!! Now I am out $450. There is a reasonable expectation that when you pay for insurance there be providers for you when you need them. This company is just a scam!! Stay away.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

This dental healthcare is a mess. I filed a claim for a partial tooth that I paid since July, until now I have not receive my claims. I will surely tell my husband to unsubscribe and get another plan. Their customer service representative sucks. Will tell you one information at a time what was needed, instead you will end up calling and calling back like asking why your claim wasn't process. I faxed, I mailed the documents needed, and then when I called again, yesterday, they said another thing is missing, an EOB from my other dental provider!

Why on earth they didn't say that even before when I was talking to previous customer service, one customer rep walk me thru the filling up of the claim form, I even asked that's it? Coz I've been following up for months!!! When I called it said in process, then the next thing the customer rep said an EOB. Such a waste of time and money!! I will not get this UHC dental again. It's enrollment period, I will share this experience with my DOD co-workers!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I had a tooth pulled which cost me $150. UHC just sent me the check. $ 4.50. Wow.. really..I can understand taking out my deductible but they said in the explanation of benefits that only $59 was approved. Who charges $59 for an extraction?? Maybe in 1940. So even with my $50 deductible I could see sending me $9. But $4.50?? It feels like a slap in the face. I'm cancelling my dental insurance. I'm not going to pay $22 a month to be slapped in the face. On another note their customer service is very helpful, they're just good people working for a crappy company.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I have been advised that NOTHING is covered - not even an extraction on my United Health Care Dental insurance. NOTHING. I will be out $3000 for what I need done. Their dental coverage is a scam. The Platinum Rider they will offer in 2020 only covers up to $1000 their share. Also a scam.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Their web site is poor. You call the customer service number on the card and they refer you to another number. You call the other number and there is an hour wait. We have several other UHC insurances and it’s difficult to believe the dental is the same company.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I’m 35 & a single mom. I’ve been working for my job for 12 years. This is the dental insurance I have. 7 years ago I decided to go to the dentist because I had a lot of pain & needed a lot of work. At the time I was 28 & I was really focused on fixing the issues in the front top of my mouth. I went to a dentist that was in UHCD to only be told the work I needed was not covered. I needed several teeth pulled & was charged $200 each, I needed a root canal but most importantly I needed implants but those I couldn't afford so they suggested a bridge in the front. It’s 4 teeth & then I have a cap on the 5th. When they checked what was covered they told me nothing would be covered & I would have to pay out of pocket. $6500 later on my care credit card I’m still trying to pay it off. I’m now in almost the same exact scenario but this time the bridge I had done 7 years ago is loose & will fall out anytime.

I’m 35 & a single mom. I just bought my first home a year ago & used all my savings for the down payment & I have no way to pay to have a new bridge in. This new dentist also accepts this insurance company but nothing is covered. They suggested I try implants or denture implants but I don’t have 10k so they said they could do another bridge but it’s going to compromise the 2 real teeth I have left & was told I have no back molars except 2 & one of them is broken to the nerve & causing me pain. I’m unable to chew properly & I’m too afraid to talk because my front teeth are so loose. Care credit won’t increase my limit because I’m still trying to pay off the work I had 7 years ago. I can’t walk around without front teeth & dealing with this pain in the back molar. Why would an insurance company do this to people? So unethical & inhuman!! Please help me!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My Name is Donald ** here in California. I'm not gonna say much because there is no words or stars to compare to her extraordinary customer service she provide to me. She went above and behind and I end up over what I expect. The greatest helpful and knowledgeable agent I ever experience. 5 star is not enough for what she did to help me. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! CYNTHIA.

United Healthcare Dental Insurance author review by Cyril Tuohy

United Healthcare is one of the largest companies and healthcare insurance providers in the world. The insurance provider has a large range of dental insurance plans for its clients.

• A huge network: Over 200,000 dentists are in United Healthcare's network.

• Medicare plans: Those with Medicare can apply for coverage.

• Free quotes: Prospective customers can estimate total costs on United's website.

• No waiting period: Never wait for preventive care or major procedures and preventive care is covered at 100 percent with no deducible.

• Pediatric dental: Certain dental coverage for dependent under age 19 is offered through United HealthCare’s medical plan.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

United Healthcare Dental Insurance Company Information