Santander Consumer USA

Compare Loan Companies

Research top Loan Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Santander is a decisive car loan company. Company stops consumer from keeping account current. They add on charges and make it impossible to keep your account paid up. You then get so far behind with all their add on charges it finally becomes such a high payment that you cannot possibly pay.

We bought a car, had a loan paid on car 4 years. The car was tolded in hailstorm. The insurance told us the car was only worth less than $5000.00 dollars than Santander said we owed $11000.00. We only paid around $14000.00. The Insurance would not let us buy back. They came and got it. It is hurting my credit score bad. What I am to do.

These people gave me a shot and for that I am grateful. Damn near every financial institution has a bad score because people get their cars repo'd. Some people were legitimately screwed over or one person's mistake becomes the face of the company but these guys are the reason I'm driving a car (and not one from J.D. Byrider...) so I like them.

We paid off our vehicle April 2017. My husband called to get payoff and was told they can't debit more than $3000 from our account at 1 time that it needed to be broken into 2 payments. Received confirmation # for both payments and both debited our checking account following Monday. I called following Wednesday to check balance of account with Chrysler only to be told we still had a balance and last payment posted was 1 of the window pay ends debited from our account.

Spoke with accounting and they researched and a week later payment was posted and account closed. Received title to vehicle beginning of May and visa debit card 3 weeks later for overpayment of account. June 5, my husband notified me that there was a debit of $700 on our checking account from Chrysler Capital. Of course I called and no one can tell me why, or who set up the payment. Complaint was lodged with accounting department and was told I would receive a phone call with 24-48 hrs. Have not received a phone call from anyone other than some guy confirming the complaint was opened.

I have called every day this to find out why and who set up this payment. My bank has already put a stop pay on the debit and blocked any and all future debits from them. Each time I call Chrysler Capital I get a different person and have to explain everything again even though everything is on the notes and they confirm what I've told them. If I ever finance another vehicle this company would be the absolute last finance company I would do business with.

They financed me when no one else would, the interest rate was high but understandable. When I sent them a check for the payoff they took it off my credit report and they even sent me back a check for an overpayment so I got back $150 which was awesome. No complaints.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

I saw an advertisement in the Staten Island Advance that indicated Santander Bank would pay 1.25% interest on a liquid savings money market account. So on December 30th 2016 I opened a liquid money market account at Santander Bank on Hylan Boulevard in Staten Island. From day one I was harassed by the bank manager/account specialist /investment specialist to buy various financial securities. I told him I was not interested in buying anything. I know they want to sell these Investments because they make hefty fees and commissions. The Bank manager/investment adviser even called me up at my home to get me to buy some of his financial investments.

Then one day while I was checking the account on the internet I noticed my interest rate went from 1.25% to .5%. I was never notified of the reduction of Interest. Apparently they had this 1.5% interest rate for only 3 months. I immediately close the account. It was my opinion that Santander Bank made this introductory 1.25% interest rate knowing they only intended to give it for 3 months without so informing me so they can scam people into buying their financial investments!

We've been paying on a loan of 19,000 for 5 years and 2 months and the principal balance is still 15k. They are criminals. Do NOT do business with these sorry bastards of a company. Their interest rate is beyond ridiculous, I don't even know how they get away with ripping people off like this. I would never recommend them to finance anything. I wish I never accepted their offer. It was stupid of me to not research these sorry **.

Interest rate way too high. When I paid off loan they gave me a debit card that has no cash value, even though I paid them cash. 10.9 dollar courtesy fee for using phone to pay due amount. Never shorten loan period for prepayment, they just lower your next payment due. If you want to prepay loan at other times rather than due date, they return your mail with check if not in their official envelope, which you don't have access to. This is the kind of bank that will suddenly change its name, such companies as this have a history big doing this. Mm I wonder why companies like this might do that?

This company insulates itself from addressing inaccurate posting and collections from its customers and artfully keeps the meter running on interest. They will not send confirmation of payment even when the funds have cleared your bank, inaccurately posts amounts owed, extorting money from customers. The numerous complaints reflect the tip of a large and corrupt iceberg. WALK before financing a car with them!!! I don't understand why our government allows them to remain in business.

I paid my loan in full and they would not release the title, and misinformed a car dealer that the loan was past due with an outstanding amount of $1,600! DO EVERYTHING with written verification amounts complete with dates and keep a paper trail or these serpents will steal your last dollar! They lose your address, your deceased husband's death certificate, and you will spend hours at your bank tracing every transaction. There is a reason that they do not send confirmation of payment that is dated for their customers... it's so they can extort more $$$$... words cannot describe the terrible service and actions of this corrupt company!

Purchased a 2010 Chevy Malibu (In 2013 - USED) here we are 2017 the payoff amount is $20,000.00!!! How am I suppose to EVER pay this car off!!! The account balance is 17k. But my maturity is Jan 2019. The car sold for I believe 7000.00. Definitely would not recommend this company as they prey on people with not so good credit. I will NEVER use this company again & they should not be a partner that shows up with CarMax. Hiring me a lawyer to get out of this & I am totally open with a class action law suit which sounds like what is needed to stop this bank! ** (If WILLIAM of Winston-Salem, NC on April 14, 2017 see's this, I'm all in!)

I've had the worse with this comp. I fell behind due to no contracts for work. I have been busting my tail to make payments. Made 1800 dollar in 30 days. I've done all I could do. I was told by them to keep a payment coming in and April we will deferment the past payments. Now they tell me it's on repo list. It will now take over 3000 dollars to save it. When just 2 weeks ago they told me make another 924.00 payment and the deferment will take care of it. Well today I'm told all that wasn't documented in the minutes and I'm stuck.

Friday I sat on the phone for 2 hours waiting for a supervisor. No luck. Hung up on me at 5. Today Monday I call ask for a supervisor and again I sit on hold for over 30 min. and hung up on me. Horrible services and interest rates. My last truck they said make monthly payments and we will help you in a bigger truck. I paid on time for a year then now I was shoved in a truck with interest through the roof... It's a ** scam company like a check cashing comp. and should be stopped ASAP.

On April 5th at 3:19 am a man came to my door banging and yelling. I'm hard of hearing so I did not hear it until after 3:30 am. I went to the door and looked through the peephole, my daughter came behind me and said this guy has been yelling "Mike we are coming for you, you need to pay up. We are here for your car". All the neighbors were up. I had no idea what was going on. My daughter was extremely disturbed due to the fact that it was only her that heard the knocking and yelling. She was especially frightened when he used my name. I only realized what happened when I went out to the parking lot and found my car gone. These were some pretty heavy tactics to retrieve a car, I've never heard of a repo person approaching the client at the door or 3 am in the morning.

Now my neighbors are upset and wonder what kind of person I am. Now I'm shunned and treated like some common criminal. I've been paying payments on that van since 2012. I more than paid what the purchase price was and interest. I called in December and called for the pay-off after I lost my job at Irvine Valley College. They said it was $10,000. I said, "How can that be when the purchase price wasn't even that much and I've been paying for five years". Spare me the late payment lecture. This is a clear case of usury. This whole situation with your bank has affected my life negatively in more than one way. Your bank called the next day to calm things down, but your apology doesn't remedy the fact my daughter suffers great anxiety now and is afraid to stay home by herself. If anyone has had similar problems please email me at **... let's do something about this.

I bought a car that was financed through Santander. I paid on the car for 3 years. Last year I got sick and was in the hospital for 7 months with 4 surgeries. I told Santander about my situation and continued to make partial payments every month. I was only getting 60% of my pay. They did not care and wanted their money. They charged so many late payments every month PLUS $13.95 per day! Every payment I made went to interest only. I now owe a lot more than I originally bought the car for. This is ridiculous. I want to file a class action suit against these crooks. Anyone want to join in? I will be contacting the media next week.

I bought a car from Broadway Chevy. It was a 2016 Chevy Cruze and financed with Santander and made a payment. They said I was past due. I ended up giving the company a total of 1400. My payments were 628 a month. Count it end of September. First payment was due November 6th. They stated that I never made first payment and then it went to collection. I paid 27k for the car. After making all these payments I owed 29k. I have no idea why this happened. Customer service said they had to look into it. I stated to surrender the car because of all the reviews and they said ok. Never picked up the car. After that I get served papers for this car and have to appear in court. At this time I'm upset and try to work it out. They stated I owed them in January 1900 dollars. No idea how this happens. It's a terrible company and now they finally took the car. As much as I don't want to hurt my credit I will not tolerate this situation.

Needless to say The Office of the President and its staff are just as useless in resolving a serious situation. After I took a vehicle home from a dealership, which will not be addressed here, I started to receive credit denial letters. Naturally these take approximately 30-60 days to arrive. I had an insurance situation with a vehicle and I needed to trade out of my vehicle and into a more insurance friendly vehicle if you will. In June-July 2016 I started going to several dealerships, perhaps 5 in all. My loan application was denied multiple times, and at the time not understanding that dealers "shotgun" your application, I took a hit of nearly 20-30 credit inquiries in that month time period.

Dealership X by some magic, was able to approve my loan after waiting nearly an entire 5-6 hours. I was under the impression the loan was approved because I purchased their warranty and put a $2,200 down payment. Well come September and October 2016 I start to get credit denial letters from Santander Consumer USA, Inc. This raised red flags so I started to question this. I learned quickly that their standard customer service number is not the way to go. In fact, I spoke to a very condescending manager whom talked to me as if my education did not surpass high school.

I continuously wrote letters, same story about "we can't do this, we can't do that." To make a long story very short for this review, on March 1st I finally called in to self surrender my vehicle, I had had enough with not getting anywhere. On March 3rd a manager from The Office of the President left me a voice message, I called back. Naturally they want to know why I want to surrender and I explained the situation and she asked "What changed about your income?" I told her nothing, my income had remained the same, but I was frustrated with how and why the loan was approved when it was denied at least 5 times prior at other dealerships.

That following Monday after I cool off, I recall the surrender. March 24th I call to schedule payments - I cannot schedule payments since the vehicle was scheduled for repossession. I decided to ask if the gentleman had access to what the dealer reported my income to be because it added another red flag when I was asked "What changed about your income?" Lo and behold - income on the application is claimed to have $2000 more per month than I actually make. He gave me the numbers, I wrote them down and an investigation was opened up. This is where it has gotten even more frustrating.

When I call back on Monday 3/27 - conveniently, that same customer service rep is not in. Banking and employment statements showing my actual income were mailed. It took nearly 5 weeks to hear back. 4/28 I am told "after I reviewed these documents [one of the reps I dealt with]" The loan is valid. The income is sufficient for the approval. "I don't know where the amount you claim is reported came from." I advised it came from their own rep, whom spoke to the "dealer relations" department. I feel as if this "dealer relations" department doesn't exist and the final person I dealt with was someone just reviewing documents I submitted weeks ago to falsely determine my loan is valid when in fact, it was denied multiple times prior to being approved at nearly 20% (and I submitted to them copies of the denial letters).

While I do believe the dealer falsified my income, I do hold Santander Consumer USA responsible as I provided all the information that shows the loan never should have been approved. I stressed out of 20+ inquiries, 4 of which were their own, one to be approved? I stated that alone should be a red flag. "Well we don't actually really know why applications are denied." I told him plain and simple "Debt to income as other dealers had denied." I have a vehicle scheduled for a repossession. My credit rating went down the tubes. I have counsel reviewing this. I am curious to know if anyone else has had a similar experience because it seems as if the ratings for this bank are extremely low.

And to reiterate if anyone is asking "Why did you take the loan?" as seems to be Santander's defense, I am arguing the approval. I only took it because I was not looking to pay over $700 per month to insure one vehicle. The dealer advised I can put in a refinance application within a year to get a lower rate. Well, the problem is, with this vehicle, having less than 12,000 miles now and being 10 months old, at best the trade in value is 13,500... the loan amount is nearly 28,000. No bank will offer such a refinance unless I hit the lottery and am able to pay down over 50%.

I just recently learned that my maturity date for our car has been changed by Santander without our knowledge. It went from 5/19/17 to 2/17/18. Who does that when my signed contract is indicating last payment of 5/19/17? I also noticed that a lot of my monthly payments they have received have not been deducted from the balance I owe. I literally just printed my payment history from their own website under my account and the balance does not change and it is showing I still owe them $11,000? They will be hearing from my lawyer really soon. This company should be shut down!!!

Some Mercedes 7 gear auto transmissions apparently broke down around 70,000. Mine did, but Mercedes dug their heels in and would fix it without the proper codes. I made a short film about the problem showing the problem, dropped off the car and footage file. It still took forever. What they got back, was a vastly improved car, and they wanted twice what it was worth. Will avoid them as possible in the future.

I purchased a 2011 Chevy Cruz sticker value $14,000. I've paid on this vehicle for 2 years and my principal value only decreased $200. I've been paying more than my monthly payments. I had a death in my family which set me back a month. My monthly payments are 391 and I made a payment of 420 which is what I told I owed. The next month comes and I pay my regular 391. I receive my statement that showed I owe 100+ in fees??? HOW? I paid the fee only to see the fees on the next month's statement. REMEMBER THAT I'VE PAID 420 EVERY MONTH WHICH IS EXTRA, WHERE IS MY MONTH GOING?

I call customer service and ask them why is this? The rep advised that a customer service rep has to submit a request for the payment to be submitted towards my principal and late fees. The next month I get my statement and the same thing is shown. SO... I call AGAIN and the representative advises of the same thing! SO WHAT WAS DONE THE FIRST TIME? Then I asked for them to mail me a statement of all my payments and what it was applied to. The rep advised that she can only send it to my email. I still have not received. Then I call again because I received my March statement only to find out basically all my payments that were being made are going to interest. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY AT ALL. THEY ARE THE WORST!

I got a 2012 Nissan Versa at Foothill Ford in North Carolina. Financed it with Santander in 2013. I was late with a payment. They charged me an interest rate of $5.70 a day. I am paying twenty eight thousand dollars for a vehicle that was worth twelve thousand new. Every time I talk to Santander on the phone they tell me I'm still making interest payments. This company is a rip off.

My car was paid off as of February 19, 2017. My car payments came straight out of my account on the 30th of every month. Mind you I paid it off in February. So they still take a payment for March. I call to get my money refunded. Last week they said they didn't show the payment in their account. So I call my bank and the bank calls them on 3 way. All of a sudden my payment is showing up in their system. No they're telling me it's going take 30-45 days for the money to be returned to my acct. I will definitely spread the word about this horrible banking. And never will deal with them again.

Purchased vehicle 4 years ago. Sought to pay off vehicle early several times. Both times the pay off amount was more than what it would be if I carried the note full term. Unbelievable. I have tried to reason with these people - but obviously THEY DO NOT CARE. So I have a solution - let's all get together who have been harmed and file a class action suit. There is strength in numbers. Everyone can contact me and I will lead the way!!!

This company never ceases to amaze me. I paid off my car loan. I mailed the check 1/23. As of 2/24, the check had still not been cashed. I placed a stop payment on the check on the advice of the customer service rep who told me they did not have it. I was trying to close on a loan. We settled it at closing and the closing atty sent them a check on my behalf. Of course, they cashed my check and the check the atty sent. Thank God I placed the stop payment. Then they call me when my check was stopped asking how I was going to take care of it.

After it was all said and done, they owed me $405. I just got a freaking Visa Prepaid card in the mail for the amount. To say I am beyond pissed off right now is an understatement. And, they still show I owe $88 on my credit report. And they say they mailed my title to the attorney's office, who never received. I will never, ever do business with them again. If anyone tries to offer me a loan through them I will politely tell them to stick it up their butt.

I sent a letter to the company in December 2016 asking that they explain what the fees are that they charged me for the month. I received no response. I paid half of my monthly payment and sent a letter with the payment asking if I could split my monthly payments in half. I received no response, however, they cashed my check. A few days later, they repossessed my car.

I called and informed them that I had sent in a letter with my payment... the customer service rep said where the payments get mailed, has nothing to do with them so they won't get the correspondences attached to payments. Rep also said my payments for December and January were returned. I was not aware of this, nor did they contact me about this. I then sent in a letter asking them to reconsider returning my car. Still no response. I've now contacted them through mail 3 times and have not received a response. I was trying to make good on my loan and that's why I sent in a letter with my payment requesting that the monthly payment be split in two. They do not care about their customers! I filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Hopefully they can get answers from Santander.

I used to talk good about them for almost three years in a row... until a Spanish speaking department wrote on their notes that I didn't want any mail or correspondence sent home... not true. Also someone said that I didn't want anyone calling me... not true again. Apparently some of these Spanish speaking persons months back used to make a lot of mistakes when they used to talk to me. Like they used to say different amounts owed... then later they came back to normal position saying the actual amount owed. Some females from used to say things that weren't even related to business... No more talking good about anybody... What they are is what they are.

When I want to make an additional payment against the principal is has always been a nightmare. I call Santander Consumer USA and tell I want to do an additional payment against the principal. Santander accepts the transaction, asks to stop the auto-pay, confirms that payment is set against the principal, and tells this will take about 3 business days to be updated in the system. After that you can set up again the auto-pay. So far so good. Three business days after and nothing has been done and the nightmare begins. It just delays your next payment but it is not set against the principal. I call again and then another person says they will ask to put against the principal. In the meantime I cannot put it back on auto-pay as my next payment due date has not been updated correctly.

This happened to me almost every time I did an additional payment, which means Santander people and/or systems are not trained or ready to perform this task efficiently. I have to enter the website every three business days to see if what they tell you has actually happened, which most the times has not been done properly, and you have to re-start the process all over again. Call again, explain the issue to another assistant, and again wait for three business days. Even when you escalate to a coordinator, s/he tells will be personally followed up and they will call you in a certain date to confirm the transaction, but they never do. They simply ignore you (and your money!).

In short, I will definitely never do business with Santander Consumer USA again. Very unprofessional and immature, and not customer oriented. And, by the way, since the value does not go against the principal you end up paying more interests for those days that system was not updated due to their mistakes and since you have not set up as auto-pay you have to pay the monthly installment by phone, and also ending up paying their service fee of US$10.95 for the phone payment. If you do not pay and wait for their system to be updated, it can appear as "past due" for that month, even though you can't do anything about solving their internal issue. So, if you have a choice follow my advice: choose another company to do business with.

In March 15th of 2015 I purchased an 2007 Jeep for $15,000. I paid $3,000 down and after 2 years of payments they repossessed my vehicle. They said I was 110 days overdue on my payment and that when I complained with the Better Business Bureau that I was now due after repossession 140 days past due never was 110 days past due. I may have missed a month because my hot water heater went out and other payments. I am disabled, a police officer and I'm not going to let this go. This company has to be stopped. There is no way that anybody can pay off a vehicle with this company. They are loan sharks.

So, long story short, they serviced me with an illegal vehicle loan. They "claim" they tried to get hold of me to make payments on the car - they even went as far to say they had some letter certified and mailed. Guess what? Never happened. They forged my signature on paperwork just to come after me. Repo companies started calling constantly and harassing me, my family, friends, and neighbors. Absolutely despicable. I was beyond pissed and I knew I was in for a fight, so I retained an attorney and with my mom's advice (she knows a lot about consumer protection laws) I dug my feet in and fought back. It was very personal with them. They were trying to ruin my credit (which they did for a short period of time) and ruin my life. I wasn't laying down for these scumbags.

My case went to court (state and federal). These guys couldn't even produce any relevant paperwork to their claim that I owed them money. They tried stall tactics in court and I even received more threats from numerous fly by night collection companies. The judges saw right through all their b.s. After some back and forth, I ended up winning my case and keeping my car. I felt so good and vindicated because they're a multi-billion dollar bank with a team of lawyers and they got beat by some punk kid and his mom.

One of the stipulations in the paperwork when the case was closed was that I was to never try to get another loan serviced with Santander for as long as I live and in return they had to delete all of the negatives on my credit reports, they could not make any future marks on my credit reports and could never try contacting me ever again. This case has been settled for about 5 years now. Guess what? I just went to look over my credit reports, which I do religiously now and wouldn't you know that Santander Consumer USA has an inquiry on one of my reports! Man oh man. It's going to feel good to sue these ** and take some of their money for a change.

My advice to everyone who has dealt with these dirtbags is to not give up! Get a decent lawyer who knows their consumer protection laws, dig your heels in. Don't let them ruin your life! These billion dollar companies can seem and be very intimidating and I promise you that they are expecting you to fold and cower to their demands. They're not used to good, honest people putting up a fight and taking it to the trenches. If enough of us stand up and start putting some chinks in their armor, I promise you they will fall. Just stay the course and be patient. It's one of the best things I ever did. Good luck to you all and God Bless.

P.s. - If you're ever contacted via telephone by the "bank," a repossession company, or someone else claiming they are a collections agency make sure you get some type of recording of the conversation you have with them, save voicemails, do whatever you can to prove that you are being harassed. It becomes big in court and no judge or jury is going to put up with it. On top of that, it's illegal and if you're aggressive enough you will receive some money for your troubles. I say this because not everyone knows the law(s) and, again, these huge corporations are banking on you being ignorant. Hope this helps some of you.

I absolutely hate working with this company. I called them and they told me that I could set up weekly payments of $172.91. Mind you my monthly payment is $272.91. They claim that I'm past due and owe them 1k. I called and set up payments with them over the phone. They went to take it out and it got returned, I had the funds in my account so not sure why. Then the other day, I ran around to make sure there was more than enough money in my account to cover the payment.

They called and left me a voicemail saying that they couldn't take the funds from my account because they weren't there and to call them back. I called them back & told them that there was ample amount of money in there to cover the payment and the lady told me that I needed to use a different payment method. I told her "No, there is enough money in the account to make the payment." The customer service representative then hung up the phone on me before I could finish speaking. This is the first time that I've had to make payments for a car & I absolutely will not recommend them to anyone I know!

I purchased a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta SE in February 2015, sticker price was $17,995. After paying my first payment, I realized the payoff balance was $27,995. WOAH, first red flag. After paying on my car for about 6 months, THE BALANCE STILL NEVER WENT DOWN, that's the second red flag. My family had some personal issues come up and came short of money. I called Santander to talk this matter over with them and the rep told me I could hold off on paying for 2 months, that she would waive the fee, thought it sounded weird, but I agreed. WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!

After those 2 months passed and we had the funds to pay the note, we did. Mind you, I paid it on a Friday, as a quick bill pay through my account. The next day, Saturday, someone came to my house at 3 in the morning and REPOSSESSED my car. I called the company first thing when they opened on Sunday. THEY HAD NO RECORD THAT SOMEONE CAME GET MY CAR! I was furious!! Went without a vehicle for a month! Now they are sending me a letter saying my account can be settled & paid in full if I pay $2,800. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! Wanting more money out of an honest citizen. This company is only out to steal people's money. If you have the choice to bank with someone other than Santander, I highly recommend that you do!

Contact ktvu news station for help with this. Everybody who has been done wrong by this company - this is crazy and a class action suit is being looked into so if you want to be apart. That's great!!! I'm going through the same thing right now and they will not get away with it. Everyone needs to know what's going on. Stop posting and do something. They are horrible!!! Class action suit.

Santander Consumer USA Company Profile