1.18/5
Based on 103 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a loan company?

1207 Santander Consumer USA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I am so upset right now. I don't have the words to express! I had my car with Santander for 3 yrs now. (Not to mention I have been paying this car with no hopes of even bringing down the balance). I came into some financial issues where I was without a job for a couple of months. Santander so graciously offered to "defer" two months and place them to the back of my loan so I can remain current. I esigned the paperwork and sent it to them right away and I was under the impression that everything was back to normal.

Here and there I would make half payments in which they would approve (a little late) but never to any alarming extent enough to be repossessed. Lo and behold, I went to make another half payment like agreed upon when I spoke to them and couldn't get through the automated for checking account, debit, or online. I was frustrated and I couldn't stay on hold to pay $10.00 fee that they wouldn't waive so I opted to pay via bill pay with my bank. I made the payment on Friday, it cleared on my end and it hadn't cleared on theirs so they took my car!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Their customer service never helped me one time as much as I had contacted them. I spoke to the manager once concerning this, and was told the problem would be taken care of. It never was. I paid over $5000 in one year on my vehicle and the balance only went down by $1000. These people just take the money for the interest. They care less about the customers. Recently I got rid of the car just to get away from Santander Consumer. The auto dealer I spoke with told me he has heard about how bad they are, and they should not be allowed to stay open. I agreed with him completely. I have told lots of people to stay away from them. I cannot even give them a one star at all. Thank goodness I have gotten away from them!

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

After paying on time and more than the minimum payment due for almost three years, this company reversed a payment causing me to be a month late. They then reported this late payment to the credit agencies, causing my score to drop 85 POINTS. My once great credit (that I had been working so hard on), is now considered ‘below average’. Stay away! This will be on my report for 3 years now.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I locked myself out of mobile banking and called for assistance. First, BRANDON told me that he could not assist me and that I needed to go to a branch with my ID. I asked to speak with his supervisor, and LINDA comes on to help me. Linda is extremely helpful. As I finish with Linda, she puts me back into the automated system, I encounter a problem, and end up back with BRANDON. BRANDON proceeds to tell me that Linda has made a mistake by believing me and that I am not who I say I am. He says several times, “Good for you, you got over. You are not Donna—-.” I immediately went to a branch office to make sure BRANDON had not done something to my money. Worst experience.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have been paying on my car payment for 10 months now, the car was $16,000, after 10 months I still owe 15,800! How is this possible? This is a scam. Please avoid this company at all cost. I am trying to refinance at another bank, but because it looks like I paid nothing toward the car I am upside down, and no other bank wants to refinance it

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone! 2 years ago I had no choice than to go with this bank to approve me to get a vehicle. So for the past 2 1/2 years I have a car payment of 329.00 that I have never missed a payment and have been on time since. Recently I had got some really bad hail damage on my car. The damage was so bad it was marked as total loss because the damage would cost more than what my car is worth. So long story short I owe 11,000 on my car and my insurance is paying my loan 5,000. In order to keep my vehicle I have to pay this place 6,000 up front by the end of this month or they will take my vehicle. What kind of inconsiderate company would do that to a loyal, single mother? Santander will! I spoke with manager as well as a supervisor and they could not accommodate or even think of helping out their customers. If anyone is thinking of getting a loan with Santander please look elsewhere!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I got 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited w/ them and the loan was supposed to be for 19,100 but somehow has been steady going up and up. I’ve been paying and it seems like every time I make a payment the amount goes up. When I call customer service it’s always some incompetent person that answers the phone and doesn’t know anything. They always say they will have someone call me back to answer my questions about the loan and very clearly shady billing practices but no call backs at all.

I have all the original paperwork when I signed my agreement and have read the contract in full and they are not honoring the contract agreement. A lot of my payments don’t go towards the principal at all. They put the full amounts towards the interest. When I call to get answers as to why this is happening I’m always told they aren’t sure and will have someone call me back or just hang up in my face. I’m getting quite fed up w/ this shady company. At this point I’m ready to take them to court.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Customer service is just ok and very slow, not the best experience. They are not willing to go above and beyond without a charge. I locked myself out of my account and the best they could do was send me a pin that would take 5-7 business days. I have NO access to my account unless I go to the bank and ask them what I have or for a print out. I can't access my mobile or online and they can't reset it over the phone OR in person. If I want them to rush a new pin via mail, they are charging $30. Ridiculous! So unhappy! Not acceptable in this day and age! I am switching banks

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Ok, to start - this entire deal was my fault. My loan was sold to Santander by Toyota Financial and I had no idea, I disregarded phone calls and emails - so it's my fault that I didn't know. To make a long story short I unknowingly fell 86 days behind on my payment. At about 11:30 PM a tow truck showed up at my house and took my truck. I was devastated. It was on a Friday night so everything was closed on the weekend, so I had plenty of time to think about my vehicle being gone. I read the reviews and thought the ABSOLUTE worse. I called Monday morning and was in touch with Santander Reinstatement team. They were straightforward and to the point. They told me we need "X" amount for you to get your vehicle back.

It had to be off a debit card or Western Union Wire - It was basically my overdue payments. They told me they would help me out and defer 2 payments - which I gladly accepted and it dropped the amount owed considerably. (I thought that was awesome.) I paid the amount over the phone and they sent the release to the towing company. The towing company couldn't release the vehicle until Wednesday because of their hours of operation, but I showed up early that morning and got it - no problem.

OK THIS IS IMPORTANT - I was told that all of the transactions for repo were computer generated through Santander. If you don't call them ASAP and try and straighten things out there's a GREAT chance your vehicle is going to auction - which is **. I received ZERO notice of sale that I thought was required by law - I was told that my truck was headed to an auction in Dallas on Wednesday. THEY DO NO MESS AROUND - Santander was actually really good working with me, but I had the money to cover my payments, not sure what would have happened if I didn't - so I don't guess I felt their full wrath. To be honest the people I spoke with at Santander were extremely nice and seemed to genuinely want me to get my vehicle back.

I'm currently waiting on Toyota Financial to recover the 4 months of payments that I sent them that obviously landed in a vacuum somewhere haha! Just wanted to share my experience - losing your vehicle sucks man, especially when it's a 46K truck - and to have the towing company come to my house and take it, it just made me more angry - especially after I asked if I could back it out of the garage and they said "No this truck is our property now." That stung. Lesson learned - always answer phone calls/mail and stuff - although it would have been nice to get a certified letter or something so I'd known for sure.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I secured an auto loan out of pure desperateness. I listened to the con artist of a car salesman selling me on how I would be able to trade my care in in a year or so. My car note is a whopping $673.00/month. Yes $673. I have paid for the last two years pushing to continue to be able to pay. I have tried to refinance the car and even do a trade in but because the car loan is upside down. I purchased the vehicle brand new at 22k in 2016 and is now 2018 and my payoff is 27k. How sway how sway. This company is pure evil. I am a single parent trying to provide for me kids but when I have to continue to decide between buying my children things they need and paying a high ** car. Note it hurts my heart.

I have actually been having suicidal thoughts over this matter. This loan is a storm cloud over my head and I don’t know how much longer I can deal with it. Mind you I have no gap insurance because the guy at the dealership told me they didn’t offer it, and I didn’t know that I could purchase it elsewhere but now it is too late for anyone to give me gap. I don’t know what else to do. I need my transportation to be able to provide at least a roof over my kids head.

I wish this company would just go under for all the ripping off they are doing to poor credit or even fair credit consumers. If I could go back in time I would have walked right out of that dealership. I am in tears typing this review. I DON’T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO. LORD HELP UP ALL. FREE US FROM SANTANDER. I am willing to start a petition against them. They are crooks. We need to file more than a complaint against them. If any one I mean anyone has any advise please share. My email is **.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Needed a car bad, my car broke down. Went to Basin Subaru in Midland Tx. They put me in a 2007 Acadia, said they would finish up my paperwork and send it to me, called for over a year. Still haven't got it. When I finally did said that it sold car to me with 13000 miles on it, it had 33000. The car was 13.900. After 5 years of paying on the car figured I should be close to paying off, called Santander, said I owed 20000 on the car. That's after paying for five years 400 month, this is crazy. Not only that. In the five years purchased my daughter a car in the 9th grade, car was 7000. She is in her second year in college. Asked about her car with mine. I still owe 7600 on more than what the car cost and not only that the car was put in my wife's name, and somehow they put it in both of ours. I did not sign nothing, and my wife says when she walked out only her name was on contract, no one can give me any answers.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I and other family members called Santander customer service with a specific urgent need for service. I stressed the urgency of the call, as it related to a healthcare emergency for my two babies. We called 17 times over 3.5 hours. We were hung up on 9 times, transferred 6 times, and given false information 4 times, before we finally got the information we needed.

Original review: July 30, 2018

If you need a car loan and are doing bad. I would not suggest going here. You will regret it. They are a ripoff and so disorganized. It's been 5 months and they still have not sent my title. They are the worst company to finance your car... If I ever have to get another car I will walk before I use them.

Original review: July 29, 2018

New loan in 3/2017 for BMW, car was totaled the next month. My insurance paid almost all of it off and then my GAP insurance paid the remainder off except 6.00. I sent them 6.00$ and they sent me another bill saying I owed misc fees/charges for 76.00$. I did not owe them a dime. Now they are reporting to Credit Bureaus that I have a charge off of $112.00. On their website, they only have statements starting in July and I paid loan off in June. Their documentation is undecipherable, the statements make no sense. I have disputed this debt and will file complaint with Consumer Affairs as well. It looks as if they have practiced dishonest and underhanded to thousands of customers by the looks of all the fines they have been made to pay and the endless consumer complaints about this company. They are rated an "F" by the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I wasn't in a good situation when I first purchased my car and Santander was the only company that would finance me. I needed a car so I went with it. I paid every payment on time and in full for just over 4 years. I had an accident (that was not my fault) in January 2018. My insurance determined it was totaled and they paid out the price of the damages. I had gap coverage as well to cover the rest. They took 4 months to finally pay out. Meanwhile, Santander started charging me payments again, without telling me. I found out when I checked my credit report. So I called them and was told we are waiting for gap to pay out so we can't do anything until then. Cool. Only apparently it wasn't cool. It took gap 4 months to pay out and Santander... was charging me payments, late payments, and interest the whole time. Without telling me gap wouldn't cover any overdue payments. I spoke with them last week and this is when I found that out.

I was told the total amount I owed was $486.73. I could make payments of $128 to catch up the 4 missed payments and that would be it. They called me again today and the total is now $562.15 but they swear I was told that same total last week. I wrote it down while I was on the phone and that was NOT the total. Then they tried telling me I'm accruing interest every day since February when they received my last payment. I was never told anything like that. The supervisor is reviewing my call from last week and they will get back to me in 3-5 business days. Then she hung up on us. We are willing to pay off the $486, but if they try to charge us more... I'm going to go off. They are completely unethical in their practices and should be out of business. I will walk before I ever finance through them again. Horrible.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I purchased a car August of 2014 for 17,000 a 2010 Chevy Malibu, I pay 458.10 per month. I still owe 16,893. This is terrible. I have tried refinancing. No one will help me out because my car is not worth nowhere near what I owe, I was going to file bankruptcy but can't do that either because my house has too much equity in it and they would still get their money so it wouldn't be worth it I was told by a laywer. Can anyone help? This is crazy. I pray to God that they are shut down and have to pay all their customers back the money they already paid, and the customers get to keep their cars, so they can't do anyone else like the way they have been doing people. They are pure evil. This company is supposed to help people with poor credit but they prey on people with poor credit. I would never advise anyone to do business with them.

Original review: July 17, 2018

My wife and I paid our car off FOUR months ago and we still have not received our title. I have called and spoken to numerous customer service representatives, a customer service manager, as well as members of the Title Department (which by the way is impossible to get to because their stupid automated system still routes my calls to customer service even though I dial the number Santander has listed for the title department on their website.) And I get a different reason as to why we have yet to receive our title each time I call. The last time I called which was three weeks ago, I spoke to a Manager in the Title Department. He explained that for some reason the title got held up in their system and he was ordering and sending out a new title. He completely deescalated the situation and advised me that I would have the title in hand in about two weeks. I got off the phone with a feeling of accomplishment.

We were FINALLY about to receive our title. Well, it’s been three weeks (decided to give it another week) and I have yet to receive it. Needless to say, I’m fed up with Santander. This is absolutely ridiculous. It should not take this long to receive a sheet of paper. This has been an unnecessarily painful process. I’m tired of dealing with them and I’m beyond ready for this entire ordeal to be over. Oh, by the way, we had another car financed through CarMax and paid it off as well. Do you know how long it took them to get us our title? Less than two weeks! CarMax is awesome! They know how to conduct business. Santander on the other hand is absolutely terrible! I would not recommend this company to anyone and by the looks of it (their one star rating and I’m sure it’s one star because you can’t leave a review with ZERO stars) I’m not alone.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Custer Capital Is ripping me off. My current rate is 25 o/o. I was approved for use car. The car is not worth what I’m paying for. It doesn’t make sense. Now I’m stuck in this contract. This is really ridiculous.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I feel quite foolish leaving a review for a company with a 1 star rating but here it goes. Santander failed to reissue a car title after a repossession which was reinstated 8 months ago. I’m unable to renew the registration on the vehicle being that New York is a title holding state and the title is in the banks name! I’m now waiting up to 21 days for the title to be switch back into my name which should of happened 8 months ago! Meanwhile I’m receiving tickets for an expired registration and now paying a parking garage to keep the car off of the street to avoid it being towed. Keep in mind it’s not in my name!

I called customer service and spoke with a lovely Nicole to see if they would be willing to pausing the monthly payment for a car that I can not drive nor in my name! I was told there’s nothing they are willing to do for their mistake and to be sure to pay on time. After an hour of conversation and holding to speak with her supervisor she realized she was unable to rebuttal or fast talk her way out of this, I was promised a call from someone in a higher position which I have yet to receive.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I was pressured into financing with Santander at the dealership. I hadn't purchased anything on credit in over 20 years, so I had a very low credit rating. The best interest rate I got was almost 20 percent. Santander doesn't refinance, so regardless of my CURRENT GREAT CREDIT RATING, I'm stuck in this high interest loan for the length of the contract. They are an awful resource to finance a car. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SANTANDER!

Original review: July 5, 2018

I don’t have the time to get into my entire story as Santander has made it their point to rip off the customers that put food on their table! It’s a shame how Santander takes advantage of their customers, customer’s money, and credit. Santander tried to get the word out to the public that they have supported hurricane victims, before ripping off customers...repossession vehicles only 2 months after hurricane after signing up for assistance. Then break my vehicle upon repossession, refusing to pay for repairs, just to return vehicle with a reply of “We’re not perfect!” Not so much as an Sorry or "let me fix what we broke".

May God send Johnnie Cochran and Kim Kardashian’s father down here to represent the people against Santander! In ALL my seriousness, ‘Satan-der’ and the people working for these crooks need a front page article on Times! How can someone make payments for 5 years and because of Hurricane, my principal balance is higher than original loan! RIPOFF, JIP-OFF, FAKE COMPANY Living under the White House with only 5 people answering the phone!

Original review: June 30, 2018

Just recently paid loan off. When I owed them they were always accessible. Now that I need my title I’m getting the runaround. Lies regarding process then more lies about the mailing of title. Now that it’s paid off I don’t have an “official” account so manipulating through their IVR is a task then once I do get to speak with a very helpful agent they lie then lie some more. I asked to speak with title department the “sup” Deshaun that helpful agent Kayla transferred me to advised me to call next day for department (Saturday). I was reluctant so I asked what time they will be open “sup” Deshaun confidently informed me 7 to 5 Central. I eagerly called to be informed, "Call back Monday." THIS LOAN COMPANY STINKS. I was transferred to them from another loan company. I doubt they ever get customers on a first time basis.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My original loan was sold to Santander, the Worst. I live in Miami Fl and also have another property/business in Sarasota. Back in 9/2017 we had "Irma" hurricane. Both side of Florida were affected, so I did not have a business income for a month due to no electric in Sarasota as well as Miami. Florida was declare NATIONAL DISASTER. I received help from my home mortgage Company as well as other car loans and credit cars, ALL other companies gave us the option to NOT paid for three month and those payments were added at the end of the loans. That was a great help since most of our money went to run generators at both properties and pay for what not cover by my insurances. NOT SANTANDER!!!

They will have me applied for help for three month with false claims, with no intentions to help at ALL. At the end they told me to pay ALL three month or they will repossess the trailer. I had to paid ALL three month and on top of that they REPORT me to the Credit Bureau. I Had to fight to removed it, I had to report them to the Better Business Bureau. This is the way they do business. NOT even a NATIONAL Disaster they will help their customers.

Since then I have been paying my monthly payment on the 30s instead of the 10th with the extra late fee due that I still struggling, so now today like any other month I call to make a payment on the 30s instead of today the 27 (our retire check comes in at the end of the month) and their computer system does not let me and I get forwarded to their Operator, If arrange by the operator they charge the customer $10.00. Remember this is their computer NOT working, they still want to charge me the $10.00 and not waive it!! It is their system not working BUT I need to pay for it. PLEASE DO NOT get involved with this company, right now I'm looking to refinance my trailer.

Original review: June 27, 2018

New 2018 Dodge Journey was repo, my hrs were reduced at work due to being out on medical leave. Made half payment on vehicle. Tried to get it reinstated but they would not work with me at all. They wanted the car paid in full, could not get a new car loan because my credit was not great and this car loan was showing in my credit. I have talked to managers, even filed complaint with president office. Just giving you a fair warning this company will not work with you. If you are 3 months behind they will take the vehicle. They do not care what the circumstance is. They state it's their company policy and will not budge, if you get approved for a loan with Chrysler Capital do not take the loan. Try and get something elsewhere!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I'm very disappointed in the service that I've received with Santander Consumer USA. I had an auto loan through Alphera Financial Services that ended up getting transferred over to Santander Consumer USA. I never had a problem once with Alphera Financial Service and now I've had nothing but problems with Santander Consumer USA. During the transfer, Santander did not put my name on the auto loan along with my husband like they should have. I'm the one who pays the auto loan payment every month from my account also, but they wouldn't help with getting any of that figured out. Then, when we went to go sell our vehicle, I tried to obtain payoff information and payoff procedure information but they gave me a hard time. One of the representatives on the phone even hung up on me and was extremely rude. When I called in to Santander over these issues I received terrible service and a rude representatives to speak to.

Also, nearly all of their representatives on the phone were hard to understand, they didn't speak proper english, and were unable to give me exact answers due to their lack of experience. My husband even had the same issues when he had to call. Santander also has a very limited amount of locations so none of this could be taken care of directly in person. When the buyer of our vehicle wanted to pay off the loan and buy our Tahoe, Santander Consumer USA stated that they do not do money transfers between accounts. The only way that the buyer could pay the car off and buy it was by taking out a cashier's check and mailing it to Santander Consumer USA.

With that said, we then had to hand over the Tahoe to the buyers that day and hope that the check went through without any issues. That made us very uncomfortable given all of the problems that we've already had with Santander, and that their way of doing things forced us to trust buyers with a vehicle that wasn't officially paid off yet. Santander needs to have better options for payoff, instead of snail mail, such as wire transfer that can be verified over the phone like most banks and credit unions do. Then, after my husband verified that the payoff went through with Santander Consumer USA, they sent us out another bill for the vehicle that we had already paid off. I'm never using this company again, nor do I recommend them to anyone else. Awful service all around.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Chrysler Capital, worst nightmare. Run away from them and seek other car loan companies. They apply outrageous fees. In addition, they have horrible customer service. They state they can send you chat transcripts because they don't want you to have proof of what their supervisors say. I have been told that they would remove the fees and they keep on adding. Stay away! It is a nightmare dealing with this company. They don't care about their customers.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I purchased a 2011 Ford Edge Ltd on Nov, 23, 2013 and it was about 21k. My credit wasn't great but it wasn't horrible, I was in the high 600's and they're charging me just shy of 19% interest. I've been making payments of $610.00/mo for 5 years now and I still owe $17,000; my car is now only worth 9-10k max. I'm now on disability and I can't afford to pay the difference to get rid of it. Most car loans allow you a 10 day grace period for payments, not Santander. I'm also charged $31/mo for late fees if I'm one day late and the interest is 90% of my payment. To date, I've paid $37,820 for the car and still have 2 years to go. So, I've already paid $16,000 over the original price and to trade it in I have to pay off the 8k difference. I find this to be so disgusting. To take advantage of people who have not a bad credit score but, not a perfect score either, should be illegal.

I get it, not everyone has perfect credit and they're a higher risk but, if all of their previous car loans were paid in full and all payments were on time and their credit score is in the mid to upper 600's, 19% interest on top of all the fees they charge you; did I mention I also get charged to make a payment? Not even making a payment is free. It's robbery!!! I'll never do business with Santander again and if you're 1 day late they call you 4-5 times a day, every day, and harass you. So my 21K vehicle will cost me a total of $45,820. If that's not robbing people blind and taking advantage of people I don't know what is. Santander's business model and customer service suck.

I had my previous car loan through Capital One and when I lost my job in 2009, they worked with me to keep my payments current, they stopped charging me late fees and they refunded all of my previous late fees. They went above and beyond to help me keep up my payments and waived other fees so my loan wouldn't end up being more than when I purchased it. Santander doesn't give a damn, they refuse to waive anything or help their customers in any way, they just keep piling on fees to the loan balance so you never get out from being upside down. No one should EVER have to pay MORE THAN DOUBLE the price of a vehicle. How is this even legal???

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have had a loan with Santander USA since 2014. The original loan amount was 21000. I have paid over 10000 towards the loan, but I still owe more than the original loan amount. I owe more than the car is worth. At this point I feel like I will never pay this car off. Can anyone advise?

Original review: June 15, 2018

I attempted to recover my car, after a repossession, this month. They told me to get the car back, was $2100, called back two days later, and said that the amount to get the car back would now be $3700. What a bad practice now to be upfront amount fees due. This is bad loan practice, besides every agent told me a different amount, how does that happen, this company does not care about what the consumer says or does, they just do not care, all they care about is money. Do not use Santander Consumer for any loans, or any bank dealings. They are not to be trusted, and are rude, and lie.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I bought a vehicle with a specific lender to find after that that they transferred me to Santander without my approval. I had a surgery and was behind my payments for 3 months, they repossessed my vehicle. Refused to remove the fees. Adding a couple of thousand dollars to my bill didn't help at all. Very rude and not helpful at all. I do not recommend them at all.

Not sure about Santander Consumer USA?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Loan Companies for you.

Santander Consumer USA Company Information

www.santanderconsumerusa.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business