Santander Consumer USA

3447people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Santander Consumer USA:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

Got a loan via RoadLoans in 2013 where Santander would become the lien holder. (Mistake). Interest rate was extremely high, but a normal amortization schedule showed it would only be above $200 one month with a payment of $301.12 each month. In 2 years, except for 3 months, I paid over the amount due.

Actual payments after 2 years showed interest payments all over the place with only 10 out of 24 payments below $200 interest applied. I actually paid in advance the second month to get ahead of the game, and the following 2 months they applied the entire amount of my payment to interest only, even though no payments late. Not once until Dec 2014 did I have a late payment when we decided this was bull.

After our Jan 2015 payment (which was applied solely to interest due to the December missed payment) we decided to have them take the collateral to the loan and call it quits. It took them 3 months to come for the car (which we told them to come get and did not drive it during that time) and they sold it at auction. Though we paid them, over the course of 2 years, over $7,400 and they made $2000 at auction, they still want us to pay over $9000 more for an original loan amount of $11,819. Santander has done a profit and loss write-off to their accounts, but has still passed this on to a debt collector. This debt collector, NCB Management Services Incorporated, who is affiliated with Santander (NCB Management Services, Inc. secured a new senior credit facility from a four-bank syndicate led by Santander Bank in Feb 2015), is now attempting to collect that debt.

This junk debt buyer is attempting to collect debt that is inaccurate due to the mishandled interest payments and therefore violates federal law. "§ 808. Unfair practices. Unfair practices. A debt collector may not use unfair or unconscionable means to collect or attempt to collect any debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section: (1) The collection of any amount (including any interest, fee, charge, or expense incidental to the principal obligation) unless such amount is expressly authorized by the agreement creating the debt or permitted by law."

All in all... over the 2 years in this loan, the actual amount they scammed me out of by paying the incorrect interest payments is only about $150... but it's the principle of the matter. After 6 years it would have been about $500 extra if they only played the same games (and from what I've read it can get worse instead of better). Imagine the thousands of loans they have and the amount of money they are scamming people out of every year by mishandling the application of interest paid. No one notices a dollar at a time, especially when you pay the same amount each month and their magic happens only in the fine detail that most don't bother to examine until it's too late... (Like me)... but multiply that times 100,000 loans and suddenly the amount is much different... and they do this EVERY MONTH!

I am contacting lawyers to see if what they have done is illegal (I can't see how it isn't) and I have written to my state's Attorney General and will fight this. This company has been mishandling people's loans for far too long and something needs to be done about it. Hopefully it will set a precedence which will help others with the same problem.

Over 5-6 years has gone by when there was no choice but to Voluntarily Surrender their transportation. In 2008 after contacting them to 'surrender the vehicle' as it was beyond means to possess (Out of Work and a Student in College). It was accepted and picked up within 24 hrs. Santander had been a Finance Company. Rec'd auction information and what it gained (car -- 3000.00+). As of July 05, 2016 have been advised a Judgement was set in 2014 -- 6 years after the 'voluntary surrender'... The statute should have been relinquished. Can a person in 'dire straits' at that time be responsible when 6 years has passed??? There would be no end!!!

My fiance and I purchase a 2012 chevy malibu from Jessup chevy dealership and they gave us this unorganized company that the representative don't know if you made a payment or not on their computer screen. The only thing that they can read is "you're late on a payment." My due date on the car is on the 27th on each month and we had to change it to the 16th of each month because of the rent is due the beginning of the month so we had to change it to the 16th and you know Consumer USA went into my bank before the due date or hack into my bank account and they took money out my account without letting me know that left me $299 negative. I had to send them my bank statement to them and Consumer USA three times. I had to spend $13.00 dollars out of my pockets for them to see what they took out of my account and they said I'm 48 days late. So what's going on with this company robbing and stealing from hard working people.

Have been paying car note every two weeks to stay on top of it. Car has been repossessed twice showing I'm not making payments. They are asking for almost 6000 dollars. I explained to them that I have been making payments and they said, "But you have to bring all fees current." Not a happy camper. Nevertheless, I have lost my car. Need help fast. For 6000 dollars behind would so I never made a payment for almost a year. Please advise.

The worst company I have ever dealt with. I did skip a payment due to being off of work for spinal surgery. They took my car payment out which they weren't suppose to & caused me $400 in over the draft fees, they refuse to reimburse me. As soon as I am back to work I will be refinancing my loan and getting rid of this good-for-nothing company. DO NOT & I REPEAT DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, YOU WILL REGRET IT.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

I purchased a 2011 Jeep Patriot in July 2013. Three years later and my loan balance has only gone down 600.00. I have had nothing but trouble with these people and almost got my car repossessed a couple of weeks ago. They charge 10.85 a day if you are late. My payoff amount is almost 18,000, but yet my loan balance is just over 16,000. My original loan in July 2013 was 16,669.00. There is something very wrong with this picture.

Well, I am filing bankruptcy in October and I am including this Jeep. I will be without a car for 6 to 12 months because I refuse to give these people any more of my money when they are not applying it at all to principle. They are thieves, scammers, and prey upon people who are struggle and need a car. I cannot people this company isn't be shut down. Honestly, what they are doing is illegal. I have never in my life been without a car but these people lie, steal and make up crap as to why I owe more and more money. Every time I talk to someone about my payments they say I am behind and how something different with each phone call. This Jeep isn't worth what I owe anymore. So, I will be taking taxis and using rental cars until I can get money to get me another car.

Santander is the absolute worst! We were behind on payments and then made a large payment with our tax refund and got back on track. Then noticed the balance after having the car over 2 years never went down more than 50 dollars and we pay 425 a month. Every penny we pay is ALWAYS applied to interest only and it shows that on our statements. We tried to trade it in and because we STILL owe 16,000 on it no dealership will touch it. So in March we stopped making payments and told them to come get it because they weren't willing to restructure the loan or do anything to help us. And I felt like we were never going to pay it off and our 425 a month was basically to rent the vehicle.

Well here it is July and the car still sits out there. No one has picked it up. We are not driving it and it's just been waiting to be repossessed. However they do call 10 times a day and we have told them several times to come get it. Finally we have stopped answering the calls and hopefully someone picks it up soon. We are prepared to deal with whatever comes our way with this because they just rob people and scam money and continue to add fees and nothing goes towards principal. If someone ever offers you financing through Santander you need to RUN no matter how badly you need a car. I promise you they are not worth it.

The contract reads a fix rate for X amount of years. We have been making payments on time for the past few years and even ahead of schedule. Somehow our payments seem to have fluctuated. With a signed contracted fix rate there is absolutely no reason for the monthly payment to vary up and down each month.

What they are doing is stealing people money via the payments by applying the payment to only the interest and not applying anything to the principle. They hope that people won't notice. This is highly illegal. If you're in the same situation you should file a complaint with your local state attorneys office.

I had my car paid off through another bank in March. I was supposed to have received a refund check from my loan overage. It is now July still haven't received my money. I call Santander all the time, spoken to multiple people and no one can answer me as to why I haven't received my money. They've gave me multiple numbers to call which all lead to electronic services where I can't speak to a real person. Today they went as far as "transferring" me to another department and hanging up on me after 30 minutes of being on hold. Don't ever do business with them. I am now putting in a dispute with the Better Business Bureau. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't need that money to pay bills.

Filed a report on their practice yesterday. BBB today called and they cannot get a hold of the repo company that has our vehicle.

I was financed through Santander for a 2008 Nissan Altima. The payments that I made didn't reduce the balance on the car. I got behind, therefore 12/13/2015 I received a call on Sunday morning from one of their reps. When I asked him not to call me on a Sunday he told me he didn't call me, a machine did and as long as I was behind he was going to continue to call me. I told him I was getting ready for church. He kept talking and as soon as I hung the phone up I told my daughter I think I'm having a stroke. My mouth started twisting to the right. When the paramedics got to my residence they immediately started working on me. The left side of my brain is dead, I couldn't walk, not talk, couldn't use my right side at all.

When I was able to talk I explain to them what had happened to them it was like "I'm sorry. Hope you get better," and that was it. The stroke was in the stem of my brain, I walk with a limp, my speech isn't the same anymore. The doctors told me not to let nobody upset me like that again. Without notice or anything they took the car on 6/25/2016 around 1:00 am. My daughter was talking with them and working with them.

Unlike many people here, we actually paid our bills on time for 4+ years. We decided it was time to get a new vehicle and traded in the one we had financed through Santander. We purchased the vehicle on the 7th of May and the dealer (a large, reputable dealer, not some fly by night place) cut a check on the 8th for the payoff amount (they provide us and Santander copies of the check). As soon as the due date of the account passed, Santander started calling. 7-8 times per day. We were stumped. We no longer had the vehicle. We called Santander and told them that we had traded the vehicle in. Santander stated that we needed to have the dealer call them. We offered to give them the dealer’s number because we had already given the dealer a POA to take care of it and that is who they should be contacting regarding payment. They refused and claimed that they couldn't call out. ??? How are they calling us 20 times a day if they can't call out?

We contacted the dealer, who showed us copies of the check, who agreed to cancel the other check and send another. They sent another check on the 1st of June, which they provided us a copy of. 8 days later we receive a notice from Santander that we are in default and need to pay X amount within 72 hours or they will pursue collection of the entire amount. Sat in on a three way call with the dealer and Santander representative to try and rectify the situation. Santander representative was unwilling to accept any offer or provide any information for the dealer to wire or electronically transfer the money and stated that they would only accept mailed checks. Dealer claimed that this was how they work things. They will refuse payoff as long as possible in order to collect as many fees and charges possible. Luckily we've documented everything and will be pursuing legal action along with the dealer.

Storm in San Antonio Texas April 12, 2016 - was issued for repairs to vehicle. Instead of putting it in an acct for this purpose they applied to monthly payments & principal on 3 different occasions. Now I'm delinquent due to this occurrence and they want acct current and threatened repossession. Here is what's baffling the insurance check to fix damage? No I'm out of pocket doing the repairs. This company sucks and I'm getting my car refinanced. They are horrible, nobody at customer service knows what is going on... my solution they need to be fined for the illegal practices going on.

I have a 2010 Nissan Murano with this company for about 2 years. I have my bank account register to collect the payments every 15th of each month. They put me a charges for nonpayment on time. I talk to them today to tell them why and they only say "we gone to put a note" with no explanations why?? Please don't get finance with this company suck, and high interest rate, bad customer services, never got the right answer. I'm not recommended ever to nobody.

I had a terrible experience with a personal banker at the Warminster, PA branch Santander. I own a business and was looking to open an account that best fits my needs and I was directed to a personal banker named Tatyana. She had a difficult time even comprehending the needs of my business account and just kept repeating herself about a promotional account they were offering that came with a $100 beginning balance. I kindly explained to her that I could care less about the promotional account and was looking for something more conducive to a business. She then started going over the terms of other types of account, and it was then that I realized she was half illiterate!! She couldn't read or pronounce half of the terms and conditions that she was trying to convey to me.

Trying to make light of the situation, I jokingly smiled and asked her where she got her degree. She told me she didn't have one, and that she had no experience in banking prior to being hired a few months ago!! The woman I was about to trust with handling my finances and investments had no more education than a high school diploma and no more understanding of finance than a golden retriever. I politely declined opening an account there and left. I did a little research and learned that hiring under qualified personal bankers is Santander's MO because they can pay them half of what they pay qualified financial assistants. This is unacceptable and deceitful in my opinion, because as a stakeholder you just assume that your bank and bankers would be qualified to handle your money. Not the case with Santander.

I am a disabled worker. Fell on some hard times. Tried work with them sending double payments but can never seem to catch up but was always behind my loan. Amount borrowed was 17000 dollars. I already payed them 24000 dollars and still had 2 years left to go. Today 5/25/16 I surrendered the car. I feel that I have been a victim of their greed. Is there any law firm that is putting up class action suit against the company?

This company financed my vehicle for 6 years. Going into my third year, I had a financial situation which I got behind 3 months (but paying what little I could). I finally got the TOTAL AMOUNT to get my account current. Which the company confirmed was all I needed to pay. I sent the money (MoneyGram). The next 4 months my payments were on time, then I received a letter in the mail stating that I owe late fees that was not paid from the time I was behind. So I call the company and ask why I was charged late fee, when I asked what I owed to get current, why 4 months later? I was told that whoever I spoke with at the time I paid the full amount, did not give me the correct amount owed. I ask Santander to send me a print of my payment history and when this late fee really all started. From there on it became threats, harassments, and rude calls at my employment and at home.

I still paid my monthly payments each month, while they were calling for the late fee, then Santander started adding late fee to the supposed late fee. Which just became out of hand. My supervisor then brings me in regarding these rude calls the Santander was making every day sometime 3 times a day. Then the Santander threaten me to take me to court and get the vehicle back. I told the company to go ahead and pick it up at my home or I could park it where it's convenient for them to pick up. They never picked up the vehicle. I even ask that they take it to court so maybe then they can provide the statement and settle this. They never did. 3 years now, they send letters every other month and it's reported to credit bureau which just ruin my credit. Santander had made my life a living hell.

This company is a RIPOFF. They take your money, fees on top of fees. They are rude and they lock people into these loans with HIGH interest rates. I've had my car a YEAR a it's a few dollars less from the PURCHASE price. RIPOFF.

I took out a loan with Santander back in 2014. I had ran into financial problems and decided to declare bankruptcy. I wanted to keep my car so I reaffirmed the loan debt. I signed the paperwork and my lawyer sent it to Santander. For a while I stopped receiving paper bills and my online access was disabled. So I couldn't pay the bill. I had missed a couple of payments so Santander sent me a collection notice in the mail stating that they were initiating repossession so I called their customer service hotline.

They stated since I'm going through bankruptcy it is customary for them to disable to online access and stop sending paper bills. I stated I reaffirmed my loan with these people. Santander claims they never got it. I have to call these people just to get information on the bill. I am getting sick of the whole situation. How is a person supposed to catch up if they don't have a record of when the bill is due and what not? I really want to refinance with another bank. This bank blows.

I purchased a 2014 Kia Optima and was financed through Chrysler Capital. Got behind on the payments that I couldn't afford because I am divorced parent with 2 children. They offered to put the late payments on the end of the loan. I accepted. Car was repossessed. Had to pay to get it back plus repo fees to Chrysler Capital and the business that towed it. Behind again. I ended up losing the car because it was repossessed again. Once it was repossessed, they wanted thousands to get it back. With the fees it was like I was starting over again on my payments. The car was auctioned. Now they are calling for the balance. Ripoff. They take advantage of low-income people!

I recently had major hail damage done to my car. My insurance needed to send it my loan holder which is Santander Consumer USA. I was misinformed about me sending my check to them and getting it right back. Now they want to hold it until October when all the body shops are willing to service my car. Never again will I go with this company. If it was only in my name I would give back the car.

I have been trying to get my title for my truck from this company. I have been told 5 different ways to give them their payment so I may get my title. I have been talking to them at least twice a day. They even told me to reverse the payment I had already made and has already gone through the banking system then send them a certified check. I was told to get an illegal letter from my bank that does not comply with FDIC practices. Of course my bank would not comply. Terrible customer service! Don't use this company!!!

Not only did they charge me outrageous interest, they lied and said if I made a partial payment it would apply as that, which it didn't. On my credit report it states that I missed 13 payments which is a total out and out lie. I called and said I lost my job and wanted them to reamortize my loan for small payments and they said I was past due for 13 payments. I had no idea how to fix this... Finally I had them come and get the car. Now I am getting bills for 3,000.00+ and that is also not true. I was behind 3 payments and wanted help. The loan should have been paid off at that time. Credit is ruined... Awful awful awful company.

Car loan. Santander blows. They're a scam. They cheat people.

I went to a car dealership to try to get another car. So as I sit there and discuss with the financial manager on the lenders that would take on the loan for the car. He came back and said that "We have a lender that will finance the vehicle". I told him, "Ok who is it". He replied "Santander Consumer and they wanted me to put $15,000 down payment to start the loan". Now you see I use to have a loan with Santander and I know how much of a crooks they. Why would a company like this tell someone to put a $15,000 down payment for a vehicle that is under $30,000?

I got a car loan with Santander 9 months ago. My car was recently in a total loss, and it took Santander 30 days to even acknowledge my insurance company (State Farm) was trying to contact them every day. When they finally decided to talk to them about received a check for my car it took them two weeks to process it!! When State Farm sent the check out the next day and in my claim tracking file it says the check was cashed two days later!! But Santander "didn't receive" it until two weeks after?? I don't think so!!

And to make matters WORSE the day they did receive the check they said I was 29 days late in my payments and that I didn't pay the last two months when two days before I paid over 1,500 and the month before I paid 500+. They said that apparently both payments were returned to me but they couldn't tell me why they were returned. But on my bank statements the payments went through completely to Santander and I had nothing returned from them. And Santander said if I don't pay the 2000+ that it will affect me credit after 30 days late. I told them I did pay and that they did take the money out both times. So they told me I had to print out my bank statements to prove to them that they didn't really return the money.

So I sent the statements and it took them 5 days to receive all 6 copies of the fax I sent so they couldn't say they didn't receive it. And they said that it looks like the money actually was never returned to me. It was a glitch in the system. Really?!? And on top of all that going on they said it still counts as a late payment!!! Even though they just admitted it to being their fault!!! I will never ever use this bank again. The people are rude and even when they are wrong they still make sure you get the short end of the stick. This bank sucks and is not even worth your time. If you use this bank you are making a terrible mistake and will lose money for doing nothing.

This bank and the dealer made a fraudulent fraud on my account. My fiance is the one that supposed to be the owner of the car since he was the one paying for it and I was the one that was going to use it. So when my car stop giving me problem I decided to try to trade it in for a new car etc. And I couldn't because a new dealer say that I need proof of income which was weird for me because they should have my fiance pay sub. I found out that the bank only put me as the owner of the car and they put I was making 3 thousand dollars a month and have good credit which is false info. My fiance gave his work info and etc but they didn't put him. They put me saying I make money and Santander approved it without me having no income and now they trying to only blame the dealer.

I'm putting a lawyer to take care of this and they know I am. Now they are scared and can't even come near my car because they know if they take my car they going on be more in trouble. The whole progress is fraudulent and now they are scared that I'm taking this to court. This bank need to shut down. We the people need to get together and sued the company to shut it down. They keep doing this to all of us because nobody is doing anything.

I paid my car loan off 2/1/2016 and it's 4/7/2016 and I have not received my refund for overpayment from them. I had a payment due 1/27/2016 and I made it because I didn't know when my payoff check would get there (I refinanced the loan). They got my payoff 2/1/2016. My account cycled on the 7th of every month yet they didn't supposedly issue my refund until 3/7/2016. That was more than 30 days later. I never got a check so I began calling. I have called so many times because they say they will open a case and it takes 3-5 days for management to respond.

Last I was told the check had to be outstanding for 30 days before they would issue a new one and put a stop payment on the original. So I called today on the 30th day and was told there were no notes on my account. Seriously? I have called so many times and sent at least 2 emails and had 2 chat sessions with them as well. If there are no notes then how was I getting advice from all the reps that said they were reviewing my account? Now I was given the number for Office of the President and advised to speak to a manager. They owe me $530.00.

I have created the online account with Chrysler Capital and have used it twice to pay my monthly vehicle payment. I have tried using it another 5 times in a row and the page would never load. This was on all of the devices and when I did a ping using cmd everything seemed fine. I was late a day because of this issue, nothing wrong with my server, ISP provider or anything on my end. The site https://chryslercapital.com/customers/make-a-payment would not load no matter what I did. When I called customer service and explained them the issue they told me they are not familiar with the issues and when I told them I can provide them with screen shots of the issues they had no way for me to send it to them, or at least that is what they say. I ended up paying the late fee for being late one day and the issue keeps happening. Their customer service is straight out of the ghetto and needs to be reported.

About 5 months ago I was bitten by a dog, and it caused me to miss work because of the pain and medical appointments I had to keep. Well three months went by and I lost my job. Couldn't find a job right away to take the place of that job, so I became late on my car payments and then on my pg&e got shut off. So I missed a payment in Jan. 2016, and made 1 in Feb. 2016. And on March 26 on or around that time, they came and towed my car away while I slept, and that I had nothing to worry about. Well they lied to me... Don't trust this car company for anything in the world. They get your money and come tow your car... They are snakes... Sincerely yours tired and confused.