Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Finance
  3. Loan Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.23/5

Santander Consumer USA Reviews

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Just made my last payment on my Nissan Altima. Thank you to Santander Consumer who took a chance on me 6 years ago when my credit was crap. Over the years, I stayed current and my credit went from the gutter to shining bright. I’ve had a few loan companies who’ve been an utter nightmare to deal with, but my experience with SC has been very positive. I’ll come back to Santander Bank for my next car loan!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Santander is an excellent bank. No hidden fees. Great rates on investment accounts. Convenient and online access 24 hrs a day. I would recommend Santander over all other banks. I’ve been a customer ever since they made the switch.

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2019

They are very understanding and flexible. I was having a tough time financially and they were able to work with me. They also accept several methods of payment which is very convenient. I would definitely recommend contacting them if your credit is subpar.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I got an auto loan from this company back in 2014. I will complete this loan this year on 2019. I have been satisfied with the loan for my vehicle. I was able to re-finance and get lower payment halfway through my loan terms because I made on time payment every time. As long as you keep up with payments I believe this is a fair company to go with on an auto loan.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Santander Consumer USA has provided me with outstanding customer care and financial services, they financed my Hyundai for a total of 20k when I was a temp and could not get another bank's loan. My credit rating was poor due to inquiries and high balances on my credit cards. They approved me. No income questions asked, assuming all risks, and even though they gave my a rate of 21%. Do you think that is high? Think again. Finance companies like United Finance and OneMain Financial will charge you 36% interest rate so it gets me when people say Santander is bad. It really gets me how unfair those folks are. If you want better rates be responsible, pay in full and have no collections, stop complaining for everything, be an adult.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: March 30, 2020

Friday, 20 March 2020, my wife, Sandy ** called Amazon customer service. She talked to a man who called himself Mike. Told her he would have to call her back. He did. He had a heavy accent, sounded Indian. Sandy was seeking a refund, $500 refund for a transaction she did not make. He told Sandy he could take care of the refund if she would allow him to access her computer, and her bank account. He would simply add the amount to her available balance. Said he would split the amount into two entries.

Made the entry, $2250, not $250. Said he would try to fix it but repeated his error. Told Sandy not to tell anyone. He would lose his job. He would call back in a few hours. Get it all fixed up. A few hours later, Sandy checked her account. Available balance along with $3000 from overdraft account, gone. Two visits to the local bank, and discussion with Santander fraud department. Amazon, we were told, is responsible. Suggested retaining attorney if Amazon refuses responsibility.

I did not know about this until it was done. I called Santander customer service. They told me no way should someone, even with Sandy’s password, be able to manipulate bank account funds. But the man, who answered the Amazon customer service phone number did exactly that. A phone call to Amazon, and we are out several thousand dollars.

Here’s the thing, as my first contact person at Santander Customer Service stated, no one, with only customer, (Sandy’s), customer password authority, should be able to manipulate, increase/decrease, available funds in a Santander customers account, and in real time, instantly reflected on screen. A customer’s password should not allow this level of vulnerability. It also violates accounting practices. I am a computer systems specialist with an accounting and database management background. Unwise as it was to grant access to account, Santander’s IT and accounting department, as accepted security practice, must have fail-safes built in to prevent such a security breach. Please accept responsibility and restore missing funds.

Jerry

Original review: March 19, 2020

My auto loan was just purchased by Santander. They are not only unclear as to how to proceed and I can't log in with my account number or SSI to create an account. I call and there are over 300 calls in queue. I am floored that I cannot do live chat or get help online without logging in. I am going to pay off my car so I don't have to pay them a dime of interest. Awful shame on Santander.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Customer service sucks. They offered an estimated pay off by 3/6 but I didn’t removed the letter in the mail until 3/13. They have horrible communication. When my previous loan company sold It to them. I’ve Tried talking to customer service And they are useless.

Original review: March 13, 2020

When we were selling our house, our realtor contacted the bank to get the pay-off amount. They were unable to get that from Santander in a timely manner, so we personally went to the bank, the day before the closing on our house, to try to get the payoff information. We spoke with the loan officer, and even she was unable to get the information from their main office!! It was the worst experience we ever had!!

Original review: March 12, 2020

They Knew. I did communicate with their customer service department about the sudden lay-off that happened on 01/29/2020 and yes just when this coronavirus took over the world. My company struggled to keep workflow and 9 of us in one-day were let go. I called because my intention wasn't to just write it-off. We are in tax season for God's sake and did explain I would've covered whatever fee owned as soon as I would either start working or receive my credit. Whichever came first.

..Regrettably, this is the world we live in, a world where big Corporations feeds and belittles the less fortunate when the unexpected comes. I missed January and February payment, on March 12 days after my second missed payment they Repoed the vehicle. Not one attempt to even roll the payments in the back of my loan and remotely even try to consider other options. People I'm so fortunate to have found new employment starting 04/04/2020 and yes being lay off was a huge shock but thankfully not for very long. As far as this company can keep the car. I will not invest a penny on this debt.

Santander Consumer USA Company Information