Santander Consumer USA

Compare Loan Companies

Research top Loan Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

This company is terrible. I have had my CC for 2 years with no missed or late payments. They closed my account saying that they don't deal with the company anymore and jacked my interest rate up. So not only am I paying on a closed account, but the interest rate is so high it's like I'm paying nothing. Tried to get them to lower it was a waste of time. Very disrespectful customer service also!

I had a long standing relationship with this bank and never had a problem up until 2 years ago when money started slowly missing from my checking account. Week after week money was missing. I went to the branch several times to complain and each time they said it was my fault and that it was my calculator and my error. I have been at my new bank so far for four months and so far every week the numbers are exact. I am using the same calculator. So where did all my money go and why wasn't it fixed or taken care of. I will never recommend this bank to anyone.

This company is okay for the fact that when I fell on hard times they took my late payment and put it on the end of my loan, what I am dissatisfied with however is I purchased this car through CarMax and I purchased the MaxCare extended warranty and was told that the payments for my MaxCare warranty is included with my car payment, so when my MaxCare warranty expired, and when I called to inform them that my MaxCare expired I was informed by Santander Consumer USA that they will not deduct the money that I was paying for my MaxCare from my car payment. So I'm basically paying $60 a month for something I'm not using.

I have had my car since 2013 (brand new), paid $9,000 down payment when I drove it off the lot. I lost my job 3 months after I purchased this vehicle and was unable to keep up for 2 months. I got a new job and found out that I am unable to get any assistance (most will take a payment or 2 and put it behind the loan -- nope, not these people). It is now 2017 and have made my 48th payment. When I went onto my account I noticed that I still owed $20,000 (mind you, my car was a $32,000 car, I paid $9,000 down, my loan was for $24,900). I have ALREADY PAID $25,632.29 to this company, so I call and was told that I have been late multiple times and because I have a simple interest loan, my payments have been going to interest. -- OHHH and I have $2,000 in late fees. My car is now valued around $8,200.

The lady that I spoke to said I was confused and didn't understand why I owe so much. I explained to her that I got it however, by the time I get this paid off its going to be another 5 years and I would have paid $60,000 for a loan that was way less than this AND not worth that value. She said she would put a note in to have a manager call me within 72 hours. Yea right! That's what I was told last time.

She even confirmed my payment date was the 24th and for the past 4 years (aside from the 2 months), my payment was made on the 20th **but somehow I am still late**. What a waste of money this was, I should have bought cash out and called it a day, I guess I should let them repossess it, at least that will be off my record before the car is paid off.

I purchased a car in July 2015. I had no choice with the loan company the dealership went with. They have been awful. The interest rate is so high and whenever I have contacted them, the customer service is not helpful and also very rude. I don't like that they won't refinance at a lower rate. I feel like I was ripped off by this company. If you have a choice do not go with this company. They should be out of business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

I bought a 2010 Toyota Prius through them. Consistently since 2013 I have had problems with them. I sent in multiple checks a day after paying my car note and all they did was put all my extra money towards interest. Second thing I was getting my co signer removed. We mailed the paperwork over a month ago and they still stating they have not received it. I'm at highly fed up with this company. I repeat DO NOT get a loan through them, a credit card or anything from the rip off company.

Two and a half years ago I took out a car loan with Santander Consumer, where a year ago I was diagnosed with STAGE 3C HER POS Breast Cancer where I was let go from my job of 6 1/2 yr as I was told by employer that we are no longer on the same path. I reached out to Santander with no prevail to allow me to change my payment amount. They refused. I utilized CAN (Cancer Alliance of Naples) and Bosom Buddies (Breast Cancer Organization) to help me with bills. Upon going over my financials as needed when you apply for help through organizations it was noticed that although I have been paying Santander over $340.00 monthly my loan amount is not budging but a fraction, and in addition the late fees that were being charged were double the amount of the car payment itself. Shortly after they repossessed my car as they would not work with me.

I received outside aid to get my car back and having to pay quite a bit of money. Just last month they showed up in the middle of the night, never reached out to me, they simply repossessed the car again for 2 late payments, as they would not work with me. This time I did not make any attempt to get the vehicle back as I have now learned that this company is worse than a "loan shark" - they take HIGH payments each month where your loan does not go down, charging more than double the amount of the monthly payment as a late fee, not willing to work with their clients.

And in ending, after my car was repossessed they sent immediately to auction, sold it, and are still charging me along with late fees for the original amount of the loan and reporting it to Credit Reporting agencies, so they are now wanting to get paid monthly on a vehicle that I no longer have in my possession which has been sold at auction where they pocketed that money. I honestly feel as though this company needs to be investigated. In addition fine the following where I have now found that I am not alone as the following is over 1,095 complaints on the following site as well not counting others - https://www.consumeraffairs.com/finance/santander.html. I have requested an inquiry by my Congressional Representative as well. I can be reached at **, I do plan on taking this to media. Thank you for your prompt attention.

They are always courteous and friendly. Always available when I have questions or concerns. There are no fees and offer many services. In fact my credit card offer is 2 years no interest and you can't beat that.

I received a letter from Santander stating I had overpaid my loan by $102.00. This was in March 2017. I paid off the loan back in 2014. I thought cool unexpected windfall. I promptly filled out their form and mailed it off to Santander. I figured a couple of weeks I should get a check. 4 weeks go by so I called customer service. I am informed it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get a refund. I am disappointed, it has only taken them 3 years to figure out they owe me some money. What's a couple of more weeks. 10 weeks go by I contact Santander again.

Santander lost my refund request. Santander stated they could not send me another form. I was a little shocked when the customer service rep dropped the F-bomb while talking to me. It has been over 8 weeks again still no refund check. After reading the other reviews I am going to hand this over to God and forget it, life is too short. Sad thing about Santander acquired the original loan from another loan company, my wife never applied for credit with Santander. So we had no choice from the beginning. Sad a business can operate like this, steal money, ruin people's credit score. It is just a shame.

Just what everyone is saying! This company should be taken to court and not allowed to steal people's money like this. I have been paying on my car every month on time and the payoff is coming down pennies. I guess I was nuts for signing these papers and you will be also if you get a loan with them. Don't even think of it and North Carolina should not let them in our state.

I purchase a 2013 Dodge Journey in 2013. The vehicle costed $21,556.30, the balance as of 2017 is $18,835.99 and the pay off is $20,243.84. The lady said I've made 40 payments of $515.00. Right now I'm a few months behind due to not enough funds anymore. ($3,453.00 is owed to catch up.) What is wrong with this picture? How do I still owe almost the same amount when I purchase. Basically I paid $1312.46 within 3 years. I really want to know if I can sue.

The interest on my 2005 Toyota Camry is so much I can not pay any more. I can not pay my rent. What can I do (give it back) what will happen? I see on a post that the Justice Dept just Reaches a Settlement with Santander U.S.A. for 9.35 million and Santander will pay 26 million to settle allegations that it gave high interest loans to car buyers (it knew could not Repay) the loan (like me) a lending tactic that helped trigger the housing market Crash nearly a decade ago. Massachusetts some will have car Borrowers will have their outstanding loans (paid off) as part of the settlement. Can someone help us out there? Can we sue them? Do any one know how to go about this. Well thank you and (god bless you all).

Stay away from this company. I finance a 2008 Chrysler 300. It was 18,000 paid on it for 5 yrs & still owes 15,000. How is that even possible? So I let them report it. Now I got a 2015 Chrysler 300 with a great company. Try Capital One. Stay away from Santander. If you don't you will be sorry.

This past April my van was stolen and vandalized, so upon completion of repairs I decided to trade it for a new one, because I didn't want drive my old van after it was stolen. So I drove to the dealership the same day I picked my van from the body shop. To make a long story short, I was turn down for loan after paying on time for three years! What a bunch of JERKS!!!???

Santander is a rip off. They robbed me blind, I know I paid for my car twice, they lie and scam you. There was never a manager to speak to. I will never use them as a lender again. I know the pain current customers are experiencing. Get out if you can. There has to be some form of class action lawsuit against this company...

Well I got a 2015 Nissan Rogue on Feb 24 17 and I put my 2013 Chevy Malibu down for a down payment and the remaining of the note is 12000.00 and they tell me it's going to take me seven years to pay it off and there is no way it will take that long when you are paying almost four hundred dollars a month and they don't put your whole payment towards your payment. It speaks for itself.

I purchased a 2012 Jeep Liberty from Horne Auto in Show Low AZ in April of 2017. Horne Auto Assured me that the loan company they were going to finance through was a reputable Company, (Santander Consumer USA). How wrong they were, we have had problems with them from day 1. First payment statement came to us in the mail 5 days on a Friday leaving us 3 days to get our payment there on time. I signed up online to pay my payments. There was a charge and they sent us to another website to pay the payment. So I signed up for autopay allowing them to withdraw payment when it was due. It showed up on the website that the payment went through their system but when I checked my bank there were no debits from Santander Consumer USA, I called them and they informed me that it took 3 or 4 working days for it to clear my bank, but it was showing that they submitted it.

The following week I checked my bank and there was no debit from Santander Consumer USA. I went on their web page and it showed I had a penalty fee of $25.00 added to my statement that I was thought to have been transacted by them. So I called them and they would not remove the $25.00 fee and I ended up paying the payment with added fee. Now just this date of 7/ 212017 I get a notice in the mail that they are charging me for insurance on the Jeep and we have had it insured from the very 1st day we purchased it, Horne Auto assured us that Santander Consumer USA had been informed of the insurance and that it had complied with the type of insurance that Santander Consumer USA approved.

I hope that the CEO that profits over 3 million dollars along with his colleagues. Millions of dollars from the blood sweat and tears of all the consumers that got caught in their web of lies and high interest rates. THEY ARE ALL MONEY HUNGRY MONGRELS... They need to be sued for the pain and suffering they have caused for so many people that really work hard to survive.

I've been paying on a vehicle that was financed with Santander for just under 6 years. I bought the car at $19,000 and my payoff after almost 6 years of payments is $17,000. How is that even possible? I got behind on payments, 2 months to be exact, when I was laid off from my job. Once I was back to work I started making payments above the required monthly amount in an effort to get it caught back up. As a matter of fact, I paid a total amount of $2500 in a span of 4 months attempting to take care of the past due amount including all of the ridiculous fees they kept adding onto my account.

I find out that all of my excess payment has not been applied to any part of my past due amount. I have now received a repossession notice on the vehicle. So glad that I've been paying them money for no apparent reason. This company is a complete rip off. They prey on people with less than great credit. They are not a financing company. All they are is a bunch of thieves and they get away with it. Anybody looking to sue this company, I'm all in!!

I have been paying on a 2007 Nissan Versa, purchase price 12,000$. I have made 58 payments, over 18,000 dollars. They were saying I was 3 payments behind (I was not). I was actually 15 days late on 1 payment and had spoken with them. They came and repossessed the car and say I still owed 8000$ on this car still. It only blue books now at 2600$. I've paid way over what I have owed, had a cosigner on this loan and now they are quick to report it so it's against my cosigner also. This is fraud. I would like to join a class action lawsuit against this company. Please contact me @ **.

I had a car loan with Santander for around 2 years. I traded my car in and 2 months later I am still getting statements for payments. The last statement showed a payment of over $1300 that posted to my account. I called them and they told me that someone else's payment posted to my account and that they never received the payoff for my car. The dealership has proof that the check was cashed over a month ago. I will NEVER do business with Santander again! I would advise no one to get a loan through them. If it is my last resort I will do without!

I just got out of the bankruptcy and the bankruptcy you only pay the principal on the car. I didn't know this. I owed for the car by June 30th. I called them to tell them that I would not be able to pay them until the 14th and I get paid when the payments for actually due. I woke up this morning it is July 6th 2017 and my vehicle was gone yesterday. I was on the phone going to the bank going to the grocery stores to do money orders to send the money over online and they still take my vehicle. They said that it wouldn't be in repossession as of yesterday but here I sit this morning with no vehicle and I'm supposed to be at work. This sucks. I will never put my trust in any business again for sure. Santander is not a good company at all.

I am trying to replace my older high mileage car with a newer car. Tried to go after a one year old Dodge Charger for $29k (with trade and carryover). They approved me but came back with terms of $759 a month for 75 months!! This is with fairly good credit compared to what I had 2.5 years ago when I bought my current car with horrid credit. My current loan is HALF the interest rate and more than HALF the payment they want me to pay for this Dodge. When I got approved, I had to call this certain number to prove who I am due to fraud I found on my credit reports. I called 118 times on a Saturday, then another 109 times on Monday before I gave up. I left a scathing review on their website, and not 5 min later I had an email from them.

It’s a week and half later now… and I’m up to 293 phone calls, 37 emails... and asking them to adjust the interest rates and length to get the payment in my range I can afford. However, even their own social media manager said she doesn't have any faith. They will change the terms. In my opinion… this is beyond a horrible company. Stay the hell away from them and Chrysler Consumer, and RoadLoans. They are all the same company. Besides I had a loan from them a few years ago, and it shows I paid my last payment late. I paid it a week early than when it was due and they still show it being 30 days late on what was a perfect rate loan that was paid off early and on time every month. HORRIBLE!!!

We purchased a car for my daughter. First new car for her. She was in an accident in February 2017. We paid the last payment in March because the insurance hadn't settled at the time. The insurance company paid car off in full and sent us a copy of the payment they sent to Santander. We continued to get a bill in the mail and by June they are saying we are 4 months behind. I called Progressive and they have made several attempts to pay this loan off. And May 17, 2017 Progressive stopped payment on another check and submitted another one because Santander has said they never received payment. Today the check has not cleared. My credit report is now showing no payment for 4 months. What can be done about this.

I have a 2006 Honda CR-V financed through Santander's and I will NEVER EVER financed a vehicle through this company again. The interest rate is ridiculous and when it came close to paying off my vehicle, they added another month's payment to my payoff amount!!! THESE PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!!! I advise anyone not to get a loan through this company. Yes, they will give anyone a vehicle because they will sucker punch you with a ridiculous interest rate. In the word of Fred Sanford, "Don't do it, Lamont!"

I went outside and my car was not there! I always work out a payment date with this company if I am a little late and they always take my payment. I never received a ten days to pay or repossessed letter from Santander Consumers. I did not receive a phone call. I opened my account online and it say my phone number is not valid, but they have called me before so how is it now not valid. Plain and simple they stole my car without the lawful way to correctly repossess my car correctly. Do not go to this company. They are ripping me off. I have had the car for years, this is unfair.

This is the worst company that I have ever had to deal with to get a refund. They sent me through so many changes just to get my money from off of this card. They changed my information within their systems so I could not be verified. I do not wish for anyone to use this card a Citi Prepaid card nor to use Santander Consumer USA. They overcharged me on the loan on my car. Now they're trying to have for me to use their card just to get some money back that they owe me. Bad business. Terrible business.

Chrysler Capital reported late lease payment in March and April of 2017 when payments were made in full. Car was returned on Jan 8th of 2017. In addition, Chrysler Capital kept overpayment and refuse to communicate any type of return of overpayment. As of today June 20 2017. 6 months after the car was returned, no overpayment that has been clearly documented has been refunded. Close to $2,000.00.

Chrysler Capital also subcontract all consumer affairs to Santander Consumer USA so that they can keep an arms length distance with its customers. This is call the Chrysler Capital "the office of the President". The follow are repeated attempts in addition to phone calls for a refund of overpayment. Due to the negative reporting, my credit was dropped from 790 to 625. If you been hurt by Chrysler Capital please feel free contact me.

We got a loan from them for our 2011 Honda Odyssey Van and they've added money to the account instead of taking away and we have been paying on it for over a year now. The balance is now 19k something instead of 16k or less like it should be. We bought it for 17k. We've called and talked to legal team and they have promised to do something to fix it and even affirm something is wrong with the account but they never fix it. I am so frustrated and upset. This is ridiculous.

Santander is a decisive car loan company. Company stops consumer from keeping account current. They add on charges and make it impossible to keep your account paid up. You then get so far behind with all their add on charges it finally becomes such a high payment that you cannot possibly pay.

We bought a car, had a loan paid on car 4 years. The car was tolded in hailstorm. The insurance told us the car was only worth less than $5000.00 dollars than Santander said we owed $11000.00. We only paid around $14000.00. The Insurance would not let us buy back. They came and got it. It is hurting my credit score bad. What I am to do.

Santander Consumer USA Company Profile