Santander Consumer USA

Compare Loan Companies

Research top Loan Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My car was paid off as of February 19, 2017. My car payments came straight out of my account on the 30th of every month. Mind you I paid it off in February. So they still take a payment for March. I call to get my money refunded. Last week they said they didn't show the payment in their account. So I call my bank and the bank calls them on 3 way. All of a sudden my payment is showing up in their system. No they're telling me it's going take 30-45 days for the money to be returned to my acct. I will definitely spread the word about this horrible banking. And never will deal with them again.

Purchased vehicle 4 years ago. Sought to pay off vehicle early several times. Both times the pay off amount was more than what it would be if I carried the note full term. Unbelievable. I have tried to reason with these people - but obviously THEY DO NOT CARE. So I have a solution - let's all get together who have been harmed and file a class action suit. There is strength in numbers. Everyone can contact me and I will lead the way!!!

This company never ceases to amaze me. I paid off my car loan. I mailed the check 1/23. As of 2/24, the check had still not been cashed. I placed a stop payment on the check on the advice of the customer service rep who told me they did not have it. I was trying to close on a loan. We settled it at closing and the closing atty sent them a check on my behalf. Of course, they cashed my check and the check the atty sent. Thank God I placed the stop payment. Then they call me when my check was stopped asking how I was going to take care of it.

After it was all said and done, they owed me $405. I just got a freaking Visa Prepaid card in the mail for the amount. To say I am beyond pissed off right now is an understatement. And, they still show I owe $88 on my credit report. And they say they mailed my title to the attorney's office, who never received. I will never, ever do business with them again. If anyone tries to offer me a loan through them I will politely tell them to stick it up their butt.

I sent a letter to the company in December 2016 asking that they explain what the fees are that they charged me for the month. I received no response. I paid half of my monthly payment and sent a letter with the payment asking if I could split my monthly payments in half. I received no response, however, they cashed my check. A few days later, they repossessed my car.

I called and informed them that I had sent in a letter with my payment... the customer service rep said where the payments get mailed, has nothing to do with them so they won't get the correspondences attached to payments. Rep also said my payments for December and January were returned. I was not aware of this, nor did they contact me about this. I then sent in a letter asking them to reconsider returning my car. Still no response. I've now contacted them through mail 3 times and have not received a response. I was trying to make good on my loan and that's why I sent in a letter with my payment requesting that the monthly payment be split in two. They do not care about their customers! I filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Hopefully they can get answers from Santander.

I used to talk good about them for almost three years in a row... until a Spanish speaking department wrote on their notes that I didn't want any mail or correspondence sent home... not true. Also someone said that I didn't want anyone calling me... not true again. Apparently some of these Spanish speaking persons months back used to make a lot of mistakes when they used to talk to me. Like they used to say different amounts owed... then later they came back to normal position saying the actual amount owed. Some females from used to say things that weren't even related to business... No more talking good about anybody... What they are is what they are.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

When I want to make an additional payment against the principal is has always been a nightmare. I call Santander Consumer USA and tell I want to do an additional payment against the principal. Santander accepts the transaction, asks to stop the auto-pay, confirms that payment is set against the principal, and tells this will take about 3 business days to be updated in the system. After that you can set up again the auto-pay. So far so good. Three business days after and nothing has been done and the nightmare begins. It just delays your next payment but it is not set against the principal. I call again and then another person says they will ask to put against the principal. In the meantime I cannot put it back on auto-pay as my next payment due date has not been updated correctly.

This happened to me almost every time I did an additional payment, which means Santander people and/or systems are not trained or ready to perform this task efficiently. I have to enter the website every three business days to see if what they tell you has actually happened, which most the times has not been done properly, and you have to re-start the process all over again. Call again, explain the issue to another assistant, and again wait for three business days. Even when you escalate to a coordinator, s/he tells will be personally followed up and they will call you in a certain date to confirm the transaction, but they never do. They simply ignore you (and your money!).

In short, I will definitely never do business with Santander Consumer USA again. Very unprofessional and immature, and not customer oriented. And, by the way, since the value does not go against the principal you end up paying more interests for those days that system was not updated due to their mistakes and since you have not set up as auto-pay you have to pay the monthly installment by phone, and also ending up paying their service fee of US$10.95 for the phone payment. If you do not pay and wait for their system to be updated, it can appear as "past due" for that month, even though you can't do anything about solving their internal issue. So, if you have a choice follow my advice: choose another company to do business with.

In March 15th of 2015 I purchased an 2007 Jeep for $15,000. I paid $3,000 down and after 2 years of payments they repossessed my vehicle. They said I was 110 days overdue on my payment and that when I complained with the Better Business Bureau that I was now due after repossession 140 days past due never was 110 days past due. I may have missed a month because my hot water heater went out and other payments. I am disabled, a police officer and I'm not going to let this go. This company has to be stopped. There is no way that anybody can pay off a vehicle with this company. They are loan sharks.

So, long story short, they serviced me with an illegal vehicle loan. They "claim" they tried to get hold of me to make payments on the car - they even went as far to say they had some letter certified and mailed. Guess what? Never happened. They forged my signature on paperwork just to come after me. Repo companies started calling constantly and harassing me, my family, friends, and neighbors. Absolutely despicable. I was beyond pissed and I knew I was in for a fight, so I retained an attorney and with my mom's advice (she knows a lot about consumer protection laws) I dug my feet in and fought back. It was very personal with them. They were trying to ruin my credit (which they did for a short period of time) and ruin my life. I wasn't laying down for these scumbags.

My case went to court (state and federal). These guys couldn't even produce any relevant paperwork to their claim that I owed them money. They tried stall tactics in court and I even received more threats from numerous fly by night collection companies. The judges saw right through all their b.s. After some back and forth, I ended up winning my case and keeping my car. I felt so good and vindicated because they're a multi-billion dollar bank with a team of lawyers and they got beat by some punk kid and his mom.

One of the stipulations in the paperwork when the case was closed was that I was to never try to get another loan serviced with Santander for as long as I live and in return they had to delete all of the negatives on my credit reports, they could not make any future marks on my credit reports and could never try contacting me ever again. This case has been settled for about 5 years now. Guess what? I just went to look over my credit reports, which I do religiously now and wouldn't you know that Santander Consumer USA has an inquiry on one of my reports! Man oh man. It's going to feel good to sue these ** and take some of their money for a change.

My advice to everyone who has dealt with these dirtbags is to not give up! Get a decent lawyer who knows their consumer protection laws, dig your heels in. Don't let them ruin your life! These billion dollar companies can seem and be very intimidating and I promise you that they are expecting you to fold and cower to their demands. They're not used to good, honest people putting up a fight and taking it to the trenches. If enough of us stand up and start putting some chinks in their armor, I promise you they will fall. Just stay the course and be patient. It's one of the best things I ever did. Good luck to you all and God Bless.

P.s. - If you're ever contacted via telephone by the "bank," a repossession company, or someone else claiming they are a collections agency make sure you get some type of recording of the conversation you have with them, save voicemails, do whatever you can to prove that you are being harassed. It becomes big in court and no judge or jury is going to put up with it. On top of that, it's illegal and if you're aggressive enough you will receive some money for your troubles. I say this because not everyone knows the law(s) and, again, these huge corporations are banking on you being ignorant. Hope this helps some of you.

I absolutely hate working with this company. I called them and they told me that I could set up weekly payments of $172.91. Mind you my monthly payment is $272.91. They claim that I'm past due and owe them 1k. I called and set up payments with them over the phone. They went to take it out and it got returned, I had the funds in my account so not sure why. Then the other day, I ran around to make sure there was more than enough money in my account to cover the payment.

They called and left me a voicemail saying that they couldn't take the funds from my account because they weren't there and to call them back. I called them back & told them that there was ample amount of money in there to cover the payment and the lady told me that I needed to use a different payment method. I told her "No, there is enough money in the account to make the payment." The customer service representative then hung up the phone on me before I could finish speaking. This is the first time that I've had to make payments for a car & I absolutely will not recommend them to anyone I know!

I purchased a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta SE in February 2015, sticker price was $17,995. After paying my first payment, I realized the payoff balance was $27,995. WOAH, first red flag. After paying on my car for about 6 months, THE BALANCE STILL NEVER WENT DOWN, that's the second red flag. My family had some personal issues come up and came short of money. I called Santander to talk this matter over with them and the rep told me I could hold off on paying for 2 months, that she would waive the fee, thought it sounded weird, but I agreed. WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!

After those 2 months passed and we had the funds to pay the note, we did. Mind you, I paid it on a Friday, as a quick bill pay through my account. The next day, Saturday, someone came to my house at 3 in the morning and REPOSSESSED my car. I called the company first thing when they opened on Sunday. THEY HAD NO RECORD THAT SOMEONE CAME GET MY CAR! I was furious!! Went without a vehicle for a month! Now they are sending me a letter saying my account can be settled & paid in full if I pay $2,800. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! Wanting more money out of an honest citizen. This company is only out to steal people's money. If you have the choice to bank with someone other than Santander, I highly recommend that you do!

Contact ktvu news station for help with this. Everybody who has been done wrong by this company - this is crazy and a class action suit is being looked into so if you want to be apart. That's great!!! I'm going through the same thing right now and they will not get away with it. Everyone needs to know what's going on. Stop posting and do something. They are horrible!!! Class action suit.

I wanted to open a checking account online with Santander Bank. As a part of the verification application asks to answer personalized questions about one's recent financial or personal activity. There is nothing unusual about this - every online bank has this process of identity verification. What was unusual is that every question presented to me was not about any of my activity, i.e. all choices were a total miss. Having failed in that, bank asked me to upload pics of my identification. I uploaded US Passport and my state driver license. In a couple of days I received a notice of a denied application based on inability of validating my identity. With a Santander Bank, I wasted my time, put a blemish on my credit report, and gained nothing. Bad business!!!

Great people to work with, friendly tellers and great customer service. The only thing we didn't care for was the long process of the application. We have 800+ credit rating and some of the things they make you do is not necessary... often repetitive.

This is the most horrible company ever! I bought a car last year in August. My payments were $241. I started paying on it in September because that was the first month I was told to start paying. 7 months go by of me paying my car payment and one night they come and take my car. Because I owed them $1,495!! I had been paying on the car for those 6-7 months! Turns out they only received one payment from me. When I called and asked why my account said past due they said the account hadn't updated itself so I made a payment over the phone and they took that money out of my account. Every other time I paid my car payment I paid online and it was confirmed I paid. But when I go on my account nothing is updated and I'm still behind all those months! They tell me I have to pay a certain amount to get the car out. I have no choice because all of my belongings are in that car.

This is the worst company. They rob you for all your money. I bought a car. Sticker price was 10,000 not realizing the contract I signed would put me in debt for the rest of my life. I have paid my car the last 6 yrs with a maturity date of Dec. 2017 to find out I have so far paid 16,000 to interest, 4,500 to my principal. My 4,500 down payment went straight in Santander pocket. Nothing went to the principal of my car and they're telling me to date I still owe them 8,000. This is insane. How have I paid 25,000 for a 2005 Nissan Altima and still owe 8,000 when sticker price was 10,000.

This company takes advantage of people. This should be illegal. Now the cars so old I can't get refinanced. I can't give car. Bills will destroy my credit. Can't trade in because I'll be upside down on another car. Only option to get out of this nightmare is to outright pay the 8,000 in full and chalk it up as a learning experience and never make the same mistake again... ** Santander. They are a rip-off. Hopefully someone one day sues this company. They deserve to be out of business.

Literally THE WORST BANK in my life. The bank has lost track several times of my international wire-ins (After my persistent calls they were unable to find it). Now that I requested a new card, the representative completely changed all my card info without telling me so I was unable to use my card and keep getting rejected. I'm so furious with this bank and going to change to another tomorrow.

Please do not get financed by this company. They prey on people with low credit. I got a loan for a car in 2012 for a 2011 Nissan Sentra. I was desperate because I needed a car to get to work. The car was already overpriced at 15k by CarMax. 5 yrs later paying religiously $360 a month I still owe 6k. Apparently I made a deal with Satan, the devil Santander, my interest is 10k. Just sickening. I feel so stupid now. So please make sure you read all the fine prints with this company. Actually if you are on here trying to read reviews it is because you sense danger. RUN FAR FAR AWAY. Do not do business with this company. PLEASE!

Never purchased a car from the company!! Consistently harassing me about a loan I've never had!! You people must be desperate because you owe the bank 10 million from fraudulent accounts you have! But guess what. You won't be receiving a dime from me! Do me a favor. Just go bankrupt and leave innocent Americans ALONE!! If you contact me again, you will be giving me a car because I will sue your asses to the fullest extent of the law!!! And this is a threat! For the last time leave me ALONE!!!

I bought a Dodge Caliber From Ohio October 2015. My loan is through Santander Consumer. I have never in my life had bad luck this bad. First 30 days, car has issues THEN loud noises. Couldn't take it back, car dealership refused to fix it. After that within a year I went to apply for the renewal for registration. Come to find out they never got the title from Ohio to Texas to switch to PA. Oh was I livid at this point. I'm a mother with two children. I drove this car everywhere, the car was NOWHERE in any system at any DMV. I did all the steps I had to do to make sure the car was legal. NOPE. The plate was still registered to my old car. I never received my taxes from the dealership in Ohio. I had no choice to quit my job and stop payments.

Over 80 calls to the DMV to this trashy company and every single person was rude. No matter how many times I tried to explain it was their fault and I refused to give them payments for a car I can't drive let alone I could have been arrested for a stolen car/plate! They have no feelings other than money hungry. I have given them an option, was told no it's not enough. Now I'm being harassed every day because they charged off the account this year. Funny how the car should've been repossessed a long time ago yet they know they are screwing me and doing it illegally so they can't come get the car. I won't give in after all the heartache these people have done to my family. My credit was hit hard because of them. My advice - tell everyone to NEVER to go THEM!

I purchased a car and was in dire need of a car. I went to reputable dealer where I purchased a car. Little did I know that the loan that I received was from Santander. I have had this car since August of 2013 and it seems as though I have never paid the balance of the note down. Because the cars age and reliability it is not worth the money that I am paying... Bought it for 15k and have a little of 13k plus to pay for it. Because I was in a job that did not pay me as well, and with student loans I would call and ask if I could have an extension to get the money into them. Unaware that they moved back the day and pushed more interest and fees on the loan.

I have paid more on my account and it has yet to bring my balance down. They have even taken my car away, and I was told if I paid a certain amount I would have it back and it would not affect my credit nor would it go on my report. All were untruths. This is very frustrating and I had no idea that this bank was as ruthless and deceiving as they could be. Almost preying on those that are trying to rebuild from past mistakes. Now I am trying to get a much larger car, and my circumstances have gotten better with my finances, it is quite difficult to get away from the Santander nightmare! These people are vampires, their customer service in making request of them is well below mentioning. Although this is a so called second chance lender, they should be investigated for the ridiculous way they treat people and their business practices... Yet I have got to get them from around my neck.

I purchased my truck in June of 2015. Loved my truck and was thrilled that I got it. However what the dealer or Santander didn't tell me was they was gonna screw me really hard! Almost 2 years later after paying on my truck I owe more now than what I purchased the Damn truck for! HOW?!?! Well I started having seizures couldn't drive talk to Santander on a regular basis because they will blow your phone up In a heartbeat! They couldn't wait a week for a payment?!?! Are you serious. Ohhh that's because they failed to tell me that they added all kinds of fees when I had gotten a 2 month extension! These people are crooks!!! STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM THEM! THEY ARE MONEY HUNGRY **! I've never had anyone make my blood boil like these people! I could go on and on but I just recommend everyone to stay far away!! UNLESS YOU WANT TO PAY ON A CAR FOR 30 YEARS! CROOKS!!!

I called Santander to get my car back, because I was behind on payment. The customer service representative I talked to told. Me to pay 809.95 to get my car back, so I gave her my information and she had to transfer me to another department to restore my information and payment but the other department already told me my vehicle had been sold already, I said "well why she didn't tell me that I wouldn't have me a payment", and they transfer me to a loan officer who told me that they apologize and that I should cancel the payment. SANTANDER IS A SCAM.

Lured to the bank by an offer to open a check acct. With direct deposit. Met all conditions. Ac s/h been credited $225 as a bonus on 2/14/17. They have not. Ac/ was opened at the manchester Nj. Branch. Just wrote to the state banking to assist me with issue.

Bought my car in 2010. Still have 5 more months to go then went out to trade for a truck. But come to me that I still owe 5122.18. They said it was incur of late payment. I was shocked cuz the late payment was not add to my regular monthly payment. I called and told them that it was their fault for not putting the late payment on my regular payment. So now I am stucks with the loan and it won't be done for another year. That really boiled me over. Will never deal with them. They are greedy and big time ripped off. I reported it to bbb.org.

Went to a local branch to deposit business funds... that after visiting two other banks (Rockland Trust Co., Eastern Bank - who were open and functioning!). To find out after 15 minutes wait online, there was no plan to open (decided in last 10 minutes???) Where were employees??? Me and 12 other business accounts!!! All very pissed!! In the meantime, my mail was delivered by USPS, so... DON'T BANK WITH SANTANDER!! Not if you want a RELIABLE BANK!! Sorry! But I stayed up half the night to decide the plan for my employees safety. If I can do that, why not The Great Santander???

Worst company ever - I have had a loan through Santander. Through the year of paying this company I have had to extend the loan by 4 months. Little did I know that they would continue to accrue interest and charge me for the months that was extended. NO one ever handed me a contract or verbally told me this. I have been paying a year and my loan has not gone down. I would stay far away from this company. NO one should ever feel like they are throwing their money away. This company does not care about you and they never will. Save yourself the heartache and disappointment of feeling used by a company that will never help you.

I was never able to fully open the account. When I called to activate the card, I had to verify all of my information, but then was transferred to fraud department, who said I had to physically visit a branch to show an ID - this would be a 10-hour trip for me. When I spoke to a supervisor, the same story was told. Chase/Amex/Citi has never required this of me. This is clearly a scheme to prevent the use of their 0% balance transfer offer for which I was approved. They placed a HARD INQUIRY on me that will stay for 25 months, and I will never be able to use this card. I see other reviews online that state the same problem.

I purchased a car in 2014 and it was totaled out 2016 due to flood. I found out that all the money I have been paying was going towards interest and not the principal balance. They gave me excuses and couldn't give me any direct answers as to why I had a high balance left over.

I was looking to pay off my auto loan of just over $4000. When I called I was told that I could only pay $2000 a day because it is done through a 3rd party. Ok. Fine. The catch was that I would be charged a convenience fee for the 3 payments I would have to be making. Two payments for $2000 each and one payment for $44. I made the first payment and they were nice enough to waive the $10 fee. I called to make the second payment and I am told they can only waive the fee once during the life of the loan.

I asked for a supervisor and when she got on the phone, she repeated what the representative had told me and was not willing to help at all and was not even nice about it. Here I am looking to give over $4000 to your bank and you cannot waive the $30 fee? This is, of course, principle. Why am I paying a convenience fee, when it is not so convenient to have to call back on 3 separate occasions? Not to mention they were clearly reading from a script and very robotic. As a supervisor, she didn't even attempt to see if she could do anything. So irritated with them.

I went to trade my car yesterday at Henderson Chevrolet, and the only choice of a car was a 2017. I kept insisting that I could not afford this car. I am a disabled veteran, as well as a college student that is in great need of a reliable car. I am also on the HUD VASH program for homeless veterans. They kept me so busy in this car buying process I did not have time to call anyone, and I tried to leave at one point, but they had taken my car keys. I have tried to return the car, and I was told by the salesman, the finance guy, and Santander Consumer that I could not do this, even though I had only drove home with this car.

After researching Santander Consumer, they manipulate your credit store to allow the loan to process, knowing that you are going to default on the loan. All the while telling me that they are doing this to honor my veteran status, and getting me the deal I deserve. I begin my internship at the end of March, and now I will not have any car to accomplish this task to graduate. Please pray for me and my service dog, Lola for a answer to this situation!

Santander Consumer USA Company Profile