1.29/5
Based on 98 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a loan company?

Last updated: April 23, 2018

1162 Santander Consumer USA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 23, 2018

Harassed me for a week. Very unprofessional reps, gentleman wanted a strong argument (literally got on the phone to argue) and anything I said had a very smart response like he knows it all (he should pay my bills then too). Sold my vehicle which means the loan through them was done with but they still haven’t reported it which messed up my Credit. They are a small bank with not enough people working there so when you’re on hold (over 20 mins) they will repeatedly say “high call volume” which is such a lie. Don’t recommend them to anyone. Just go somewhere else and save the headache.

Original review: April 21, 2018

We purchased a vehicle and paid on it for six years. I called them to see really how much longer we have till this loan is paid off. We pay $467 a month and they told me we still owe $12274.85 so I looked at last year's bill. For April we owed a little over $15,000. So paying $467 a month for a year we didn't even pay loan down $3000. I called to see if I could refinance to lower interest. They said they don't do that. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET SCREWED OVER. You'll pay back over twice as much as they paid for you to get vehicle. I repeat. Do not go with Santander Consumer for anything. It's a bottomless money pit.☹️

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 16, 2018

I got a car loan. My credit was not good at the time so I ended up with Santander with their 25% interest. Though the payment was high I was having little trouble paying for the car until I got a cancer diagnosis and had to pay bills associated with that. I called Santander and they did give me an extension (moving that months payment to the end of the loan therefore extending time to maturity). This worked for the months that I needed the extra money to be able to get my treatments. Then I decided since my payments had been on time and my credit score had gone up that I would refinance so to get my payments down as the cancer was taking a real financial toll.

I applied to my bank for a loan. They said that I qualified for the loan but unfortunately not for the car I had as I owed more than the car was worth and did from the beginning of my loan. So I went back to Santander to see if they would refinance for me or modify the existing loan to allow me to pay it off. They could not do that and so I fell behind by one payment and had a discussion with them about whether they would repossess the vehicle and I was told as long as I am making at least a partial payment each month that they would work with me to keep that from happening and that if they found it necessary to do so that they would notify me ahead of time. This was a lie because little short of a month later they came without notice and took the car leaving me no way to get to the cancer center.

Called them again and asked if there was any way they could redo the loan or modify it so I could continue to pay it off. I was told no but I could reinstate the loan and if I made the next two payments then the loan would reach maturity then they could look into doing some kind of modification for me. No guarantee and they wanted more money to get it back then I was able to pay as they very well knew. So on top of having cancer I have lost my transportation to get to the treatment center and the stress has caused all kinds of problems with my blood pressure and heart condition.

This company is Definitely a predatory lender. The parent company Banco Santander who is out of Spain Holds Santander Consumer USA Holdings Incorporated who is in turn the parent company for Santander Bank and Santander Consumer USA along with other companies it is now picking up including RoadLoans.com and Chrysler Capital. Be very careful if you are getting a loan to take the time to investigate the lender all the way back to where it started from. You may be surprised that your hard earned paycheck is going offshore...

Original review: April 12, 2018

I am a current customer of Santander. They do not care for their customers and they have poor customer service. First of all, although I do not have the perfect credit I regret the day I ever walked into Joe Machens Hyundai in Columbia, Missouri and purchased this vehicle. How you help people build credit is not to put them in loan situations where you are aware that the customer may default or pay double for the vehicle they are in. My loan is for 14,000 at 24.99% interest rate for 72 months. Don't be late for a payment. They cannot offer any forgiveness. World class rip-off. I will never get a car loan from these monsters again.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I financed my car in October of 2016, being a young college student with fairly new credit unfortunately I ended up with this finance company with 25% interest and a car payment of almost 400 dollars. After a year I called to refinance to get my payments down only for them to tell me they do not offer that option. That was strike one for me!! The car end up being totaled December the 5th 2017, I made the last payment November 15th and after the wreck my insurance and GAP insurance were responsible for the remaining balance of the car!!

After telling them this they still charge late fees and everything else in the book. My insurance and GAP paid off the rest of the car except for 257 dollars that they claim I owed. I’ve made on time payments, never late up until the car got totaled. When I asked if they could settle the remaining balance with me as I STILL am in college and had been struggling with payments she told me they do not do that!! So what do they do to help their customers?? Nothing! Chase, Capital One, Exeter, all give refinance options and have even settled with my Mom when she owed Chase 2000 dollars. I will not ever go through this finance company again. I cannot wait to pay off this remaining balance and close out my account with them because it is a never ending money cycle and you are stuck!! If you are thinking about financing, go with a better company that cares about their customers and aren’t greedy. This company has a one star, that should tell them something.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: April 11, 2018

I am at the end of my lease. My final payment did not auto withdraw on the normal date, so a day later I paid via their QuickPay (via Western Union, and it costs extra) - thinking maybe I took off my autopay leading up to my final month. The day AFTER I paid (so 2 days late) my auto pay came out, leaving me to have double paid for this final month. Seeing as how it was my final payment, I do not want to double pay. It took several minutes and several people to even SEE I had made 2 payments. They were adamant they could only see 1. Once I got a manager, they saw my 2 payments, and said I would be reimbursed 60 days after my lease was up.

I explained I was now out over $600, and reimbursement in 3 months was not a possibility. After some time, they let me know they could reimburse me in about 5 business days... which they did, and that part turned out fine... Thank you for that. However... 2 weeks later, my account online says delinquent and past due, showing NEITHER payment. If I delve in, I can see the 2 payments I made, and the reimbursement.

The customer service rep kept saying there was no payment. After a few holds, she was able to say a manager could see my payment made (the Western Union online payment) but it hasn't posted yet. I asked when it would, as it has been 2 weeks. She said "I cannot answer that, but all I can tell you is it hasn't posted." Again I stressed the urgency of needing to know this information. She again said "I cannot answer that. Would you like me to ask the accounting department?" YES! YES I WOULD! So, the question is in for me, and really I'll have to call back in a few days and probably do this again. I will be taking my payoff to a credit union and taking over the payments with anyone else.

Original review: April 11, 2018

This is the worst car loan ever!! I bought a used vehicle almost 7 years ago, during a point in my life that I was trying to get back on my feet financially. When I bought the car from CarMax I put $2000 cash down on the purchase. I have made 71 payments to Santander, I called them last week to go over my account with a representative and she told me that I had 70 payments to go to pay the balance off. I have already paid more than twice the original amount of the car (with the higher interest rate that was expected). But to tell me I have 70 payments left on a car that is now 12 years old and holds less than a $4000 Blue Book value is ridiculous. I realize that every payment has not been on time, nor have most of my payments been more than the minimum payment. But to tell me over the phone that my first 3 years of payments was going towards interest only and I have 70 payments to go...

I just cannot allow this situation to affect my health the way it is starting to. To think that Santander was not my only option for financing at the time but the dealer spoke of them like they were one of the best options, makes me never want to do business with CarMax again. I really feel I was mislead at a very vulnerable time in my life when it comes to this loan. Please stay away from Santander, it is for your best interest.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Last year I got a loan through Up2Drive for a 2015 car, for which I paid $10,000 down with a $8500 financed balance, at 3.5% interest rate. Up2Drive is a subsidiary of BMW Bank of America, a highly rated auto financing company. This is our third loan through them, and we have been very successful and happy with their service. Then suddenly, with no advance notice, in April 2018, after almost a year of perfect payment history on this loan, we received an email from Up2Drive telling us that our loan has been sold to Santander. We receive no written documentation of the sale, and no assurance that our interest-rate wouldn't change.

I tried contacting Santander, and they are not willing to discuss anything over the phone. Their website is not operational ("database error"), and they could give me no email address for further communication. They in particular would not confirm that our interest rate is not changing, the balance transferred to them, or the loan payoff amount (which would be a definite giveaway if the interest rate had changed). I did some research and discovered that Santander has a horrible reputation in the industry, and are not even accredited through Consumer Affairs. All Up2Drive will tell me is that this was "a business decision", and that all Up2Drive loans have been sold to Santander. I want to refinance this loan through my local bank, but Santander will not discuss refinancing or any other details of my loan. They say I can write a letter to them.

Santander's reputation is already the lowest possible one-star rating with Consumer Affairs. I would never voluntarily do business with this company and I had a choice. Unfortunately, BMW Bank of America is not giving me a choice. They say there's nothing I can do to reverse the sale. I can't believe this is legal in America, especially given that of detailed review of my contract with Up2Drive shows nothing about them being permitted to sell my loan to a third-party.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Santander should be taken to court for ripping off people. I'm paying over 42,000 for a 2010 Equinox. My mother in law was the owner. She died 2 years ago here. We paying for a car because we was a co-signer. We need to gather together and file a law sued we paying 25.99 % interest a day. That's ridiculous.

Updated on 04/06/2018: After talking to a Santander representative today I found out that in order to pay your bill off on time not before time you must pay two payments, which was never told to us or should I say my mother-in-law who originally took out the loan but has died since then which wouldn't make sense. If you having credit issues how would you be able to pay two payments and they know that so they prey on bad credit. That's like abusing the disabled. There have to be a stop because every day you're gaining interest and you're going to continue to gain it until you pay for it which is never and if you get behind it's going to hurt you even more. This is a loan we will never stop paying for. I don't know if we can get a couple of people together to form a lawsuit against this company. It is a legalized loan shark. Even if we can't, I won't stop until I get some type of legal Justice.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I had a car loan with Santander Consumer USA, I fell and broke my back in July of 2016. I called Santander and asked for a deferment on my account because I was unable to work at the time. I was told they don't do deferments and to just pay what I could when I could and keep them informed of my situation. I fell behind by three months. In August I received a letter from them stating that if I didn't get my payments caught up by the end of the month they would repo my car. I paid them immediately and I thought all was well at that time. I fell behind by three months and again in February of 2017 I was threatened with repo, I made arrangements to get caught up since I was just getting back to work at that time. I got caught up and in March was threaten with repo again and I was ahead on my payments at this time.

I ended up getting an attorney, went through mediation with their attorney who was not happy to see I had legal representation with me. It was agreed that as long as I made my payments on time no action would be placed against me. I learned this year that they put me as a charge off on my credit report and are still reporting that I owe over $6800 on my car even after I traded it in and the dealership paid it off. This should not be on my credit report but I am told that once they place it on there it can not be removed unless they choose to remove it. I contacted Santander and was told they will not remove it. Worst company to work with and I highly recommend that NO ONE use them.

Original review: April 1, 2018

We bought a Dodge Caravan 2012 that was worth $18,000 at the time. Now we’ve filed bankruptcy. After 5 years of payments we still owe the $16000. Are they nuts? Our payments were high. In the end they want us to pay more than double of what the car is worth. This company should be sued for stealing from people. They target low income and low credit scores.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have bad credit. I put two grand down on my car and plus my trade. This company was the only one that will finance me. So I make my first payment, everything was good. I tried to make a payment ahead a month and they said I couldn’t do that, oh well my fault. I get the bill for the next month and I pay via phone and it stayed my balance and they will not credit me for the current month! How??? I have the freaking bill!!! I called and you never talk to anyone from the US, it’s always a foreign person which I have no problem with foreigners but they always act like you’re dumb and I ask to talk to a supervisor and they said they made the request for the account to be paid for the month but I said, "How can you request it when I have the freaking bill and I paid it???"

He had no answers but said I can fax him the bill for their records and I said I’m not doing that and I said, "You guys should have record of you sending me the bill" and he said they do!!! Like, "Are you for real?" He admitted they sent the bill and is still not crediting me. Then I asked to transfer me to this “finance department” and he said he couldn’t. I asked why and he said they can only “send” requests. I’m like, "There is not a phone in that office?" He said no. I’m like, "Do you use pigeon messaging? A telegraph?" He didn’t have any words. I filed a huge complaint with the BBB and I just saw they are not affiliated with them. Hmmmm wonder why. It’s just wrong and they want you to worry about finances and it’s so wrong. I’m sick about this.

Original review: March 27, 2018

They continue to steal money by adding on extra money to payment or reallocating part of my payment to places that cannot be explained. I have called 5 times on this most recent charge to try and get a proper explanation of the extra money and each of the 5 times I got a new reason! Excuses for stealing so now I will be getting my attorney involved.

Original review: March 26, 2018

They are crooks in a nutshell. Just bought a car from CarMax 2 days ago, called for a 10 day payoff. They stated they couldn't give me my payoff amount because it takes 3-4 weeks for my "account information" to register on their system. Note that I "started accruing interest on my account" the day I signed my auto loan contract; which really means that they've created this long wait period so that they can make you pay more interest and get more money out of you... So instead of paying interest on 10 days, I now have to pay interest on 30+ days. This how they make their money. STAY AWAY FROM THIS FINANCING COMPANY.

Original review: March 23, 2018 I’m a local business owner in New York, NY (Tribeca, since 2004) who recently has had 2 major mistakes with the Santander Bank at this location. First Issue:

In October of 2017, I received an unexpected statement in the mail stating that I had to pay 18 percent interest on a $10,000 loan that I never took out. I did not understand why I received this statement and thought, certainly it was in error. During the first week of November, 2017 I visited the 336 Broadway branch of Santander with the statement and asked for an explanation. After 30-40 minutes of discussing the matter with two bank representatives they uncovered their deception.

What we uncovered is the following: Sometime in September/October, I visited the 336 Broadway Santander branch and asked for a $10,000 withdrawal from my business checking account to pay a contractor for my business’ relocation within the community. According to the two branch employees, at the time of my $10,000 withdrawal the banker withdrew $10,000 from the overdraft protection account as opposed to my business checking account/loan account that actually had over $40,000 in it. Why she would do that I have absolutely no idea especially since I had money available in my business loan account. I didn’t even know that a person could withdraw from their overdraft protection, when they had cash on hand within my loan account. Of course I had to argue with them to remove any late fee and revert all the transactions that were done to avoid the 18 percent interest-rate.

So that problem is taken care of thankfully however I’ve recently learned of a bigger issue. Second issue: In May of 2017 I saw a marketing poster on the Santander Bank window located at 336 Broadway, NY, NY 10013 that advertised a small business loan for five years for a fee of prime interest plus one percent. At that time it was the prime rate was 4% (so plus one would be 5%). My father/business partner and I met with **, one of the business bankers at the above-mentioned location. Mr. ** seemed knowledgeable about the loan and honest. We agreed that these terms seemed favorable, so ** provided us with a list of the documentation that we would need to provide. Within a few weeks we were approved for $57,000 that we could use for our business relocation needs.

Just a few weeks after that I walked to the same Santander branch to remove more money to pay a contractor and asked a few questions from **, a banker that had replaced Mr.**, my original loan officer. Mr. ** then explain to me that after the very first year of the loan my interest rate would jump from 5 percent to 10 percent. I was flabbergasted. I told him that Mr. **, my original loan officer didn’t explain any of this to us and we are in complete shock. We would’ve never continued with the loan had we known about this prior. It's important to note here the deceptive sales practice of Santander and Mr. **. During closing time Mr. ** took all the documents that we were required to provide and explained the details of the loan verbally as my father and I both had trouble understanding it.

He assured us that the contract/documentation that we should have read over carefully was just technical language like the legal jargon that often accompanies new products or software that the general public rarely reads. Instead Mr. ** pressed us to focus on what he called “the important parts” like the amount ($57,000) and the interest rate (5%) and never once did he say that the interest rate would change after the first year. Upon hearing this I immediately thought, this is just like a subprime mortgage scam. They are making a loan to me that the bank knows I could never possibly repay.

Since this date I’ve contacted **, ** and ** (the third banker since **’s termination) at Santander Bank multiple times to try and dispute this matter and request that they waive the 10% interest rate and maintain a 5% rate per the terms that were explained to us. I am not looking for anything for free. I just want the bank to honor the loan that they explained we were receiving. Naturally the bank does not want to honor the verbal outline of the loan, a 5% interest on a $57,000 loan, even though they would still be making money on the arrangement.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I received a loan from Santander Consumer, USA in February of 2012. It was a 60 month loan at $357.11 a month. I really didn't want to take it but I really needed a car. Well it is 2018 now and they are still me I owe $4,900 on the car plus another $1500 in late fees!! I have already paid over 18,000 and they are still saying that I owe them more money! They call every hour! Even after I make a payment they say I am still a month behind. I am not even sure how that could be, so I made two payments last month. They are still saying I am behind in my payments. When I asked Customer Service how she replied "because in 2015 I missed a payment" so I keep being a month behind. When I asked how come this is just now showing up, she had no answer. When I asked what month in 2015, she didn't know! Ripoff! Stay away!

Original review: March 17, 2018

My experience with Santander is horrible because my car was worth $10,000 but after they gave me a loan that was financed at 25.99% which I did not know on top of that the finance amount was 13,735.36 and my payout amount is 27,538.56. In the total sales price was 29,039.25 so now I have 3 different amounts on this car and the blue book value is 5,000 and this why I'm very pissed behind this loan on my car. I really think someone need to put a stop to Santander for just taking people money and trying to keep people in their loans even after they have paid the amount of the car off but instead they try to find any and everything to build up the interest on the loan. They make it hard to go and get it refinanced with a lower interest rate. See what they don't tell you when you pay your car note is that most of your money goes to the interest then your car loan. So we have to let everyone know what they are doing to hurt your credit score then help it.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Santander is really pissing me off. They charging me extra money when they shouldn't. If you call them they all act illiterate and don't know nothing. I'm not stupid and I keep up with my bills. I can't do nothing about it because I still owe on my truck but lord knows I wish I could've did something else before I got with Santander. Santander is a ** rip off and I'm really upset because they don't care. They all should be ashame of their self because they wouldn't like it if it was them or their mother, grandmother, dad, granddad, daughter, son, or anybody else in their family. I have bad credit but they say they trying to help you but I see different. I advise nobody else get with this company because they don't do BUSSINESS how they should.

Original review: March 15, 2018

My son is a soldier in the Army National Guard. The summer before he had to deploy to Kuwait, he decided he would treat himself to a new Dodge Challenger. The only problem was he was on 20 and hadn't established any credit. Well the salesman saw him coming. He got his car but he paid the price with a Santander loan. The payment was $800+ before he was deployed. After he was active, they had to reduce that, and he has been paying $627 a month for over a year. The payment has been automatically taken out of his bank account for 2 years now.

Since he is back home, they began raising the payment again. I told him to go to our credit union to get a refi. When he did, he found out that he had NO CREDIT established because apparently, Santander HAS NOT BEEN REPORTING IT LIKE THEY STATE ON THEIR WEBSITE. While my son was at the bank, they had him call Santander and ask what was going on. They wouldn't tell him anything and said he would have to send a DISPUTE LETTER BY MAIL! This is how we treat our military? Their website says they report payments to ALL 3 credit bureaus every 30 days.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I have been paying a loan with Santander for years and finally paid it off in September 2017. I have waited for my title or a lien sanctification letter. It is now March 2018 and I telephoned them as to why no title received. They said they sent it out and now account is closed. If I want a title I have to pay to get one. I am livid! I paid on time for years and then I am sent to pay for the title or a lien satisfaction if I want it.

I never received a title or any other communication since final payment. I have been watching the mail every day for the title to come in as I expected it would be a few months. I am so disappointed that they say they sent it and yet I never received it and now I have to pay if I want it. You would think Santander would not be so cut and dried. Meaning that after 60 days they just close your account and have nothing more to do with you. They do not bother to send a notification or payoff, title or anything other than if you did not get title, sucks to be you.

Updated on 03/24/2018: After paying of my 10 year loan on time I might add. After last payment I never received a payoff notice, my title and now my tax paper needed for taxes. I call. They can’t help me because I paid off the loan last year and I am out of their system. I requested call back from a manager and never received that call. So no title, no lien satisfaction and now no year tax paper. I am at my wit's end. This is how they treat their customers. Don’t use them, they care not for customers.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I submitted two payment for the month of Jan 2018 in order to make my account 100% current... Some brainchild on their end misallocated the funding so that it would still show my account as not current. Therefore, I would have additional lates fees that would increase in order to continue overbilling me. Then some other genius went into my account and re-allocated funds I submitted and applied some funds to my Feb 2018 payment which is totally incorrect! Then these folks post my account for Mar 2018 to be $1700 to include late fees!!! I dont have any freaking late fees people!!! Is there a class action lawsuit I can join? Does anyone have any legal advice I can use to fight their unfair, crooked, and underhanded business and accounting practices?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I contacted Santander to change auto pay information. I contacted them on the 5th of February 2018 and gave them new account information. I was assured by their representative that the payment due would be coming out of new bank information. Santander did not take payment from new information whereby they caused my old account to incur fees. I contacted Santander representatives, managers and today I spoke with someone who said they were in charge of managers. This person did not help me resolve my issue. Their representatives are in need of further training. I wanted a refund into old account and a payment to be taken out of new account. The manager informed me that this was not possible. I would never have taken payment out of old account and put into new account if Santander had informed me properly on 2/05/2018.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I co-signed on a vehicle 6 years ago for an ex bf at the time. He wrecked the vehicle the day after he got it. Insurance paid Santander their portion of the cost but GAP won't cover. They're saying they need additional paperwork from me. I had, or thought I had, this handled 6 years ago when they quit calling me about the vehicle. Here we are 6 years later and Santander is still claiming there is still a balance owed. (Mind you they stopped calling me for FIVE years until just recently) I have called more times than I can count to try to get the necessary paperwork I needed from Santander to send to the GAP insurance company but they will NOT help me.

I even went as far as having a friend of mine, who was a insurance claims adjuster, talk with me and a manager at the same time to get it resolved. That specific manager claims he put a cease and desist note on the account until I could get right with the GAP insurance yet they are STILL calling me harassing me for over $5000. The manager has yet to send me the paperwork I requested 3 weeks ago to send to GAP so I have no idea what else to do! Please help me! I will NEVER use this company again as a Lienholder and I will make sure No one else does either.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I sent a money order in for payment back on October 20th of 2016. Early November I received a call from Santander saying I was late, and that I needed to pay now. I assured them I had already paid and to check their records, which the rep did and found nothing. I immediately called Western Union which is the money order I mailed in and they told me it had been cashed in October 31st 2016. I was also told if I wanted to investigate I had to pay $14, which I did. Weeks later I received a photocopy of my money order, with pay to the order of “Drive” on the front of it and on the back a stamp from Chase bank with an account number. I called Chase who said they couldn’t give out account information over the phone so I called Santander. The rep told me Drive is one of their subsidiary companies and that the Chase account number is indeed theirs (wrong move).

I immediately said, "Well someone wrote, altered my money order, wrote Drive in pen and then deposited it into the subsidiary's account. My credit score took a hit. Late payments accrued all because of your company." They ensured me no one from their would do such a thing and that someone from the Kroger supermarket in Suwanee, GA must of done it. Only problem is their company is located in Texas so how would anyone from Georgia know to write that and then why would I go ahead and mail it. I was escalated to the president's office and proceeded to argue for the next few months with them. I emailed the photocopy within weeks of receiving it. And then a random check came in the mail with no letter, no information as to why and I called Santander and the rep told me to deposit it and see if it cashes because they have no record of the check and if it cashes to keep it. That sounded shady so I didn’t.

After I didn’t someone from the office of the president called me and told me I had to cash it or they would automatically apply it to my account. Meanwhile they still couldn’t “locate” my payment but Western Union could. I was then sent a letter threatening of repossession if I didn’t pay $886 immediately. I called and said, "Is it a coincidence that a random check was mailed. I didn’t cash it and now a threatening letter a week later?" She assured me it was and to pay which I didn’t, and nothing happened because they were in the wrong and bluffing.

Months later with nothing resolved I reported them to the credit bureau as fraud and then wrote a demand letter stating I want out of my loan with the title in hand or I will sue, they called and said they would reverse $200 worth of late fees and that they would not let me out. I said not good enough. Someone from the president's office called and said, "I understand your frustration. Maybe Kroger sometimes has a system where it electronically prints it on," I said, "No it was written in pen," which he paused briefly then asked me to email him. After he received it he placed me on hold for 5 minutes and then asked what I wanted. I told him. Another hold and then I was told they would not let me out of the loan and I would have to move forward with my suit.

The letter was written by me and not legally so maybe they thought I was bluffing but I am moving forward with it because check fraud or alteration is a federal offense. My question is has anyone had anything sketchy or alarming happen with their payments and took legal action? If so please contact me and let me know the outcome.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have had Santander for a car loan. (Bad credit thing) They were the only ones to give me a loan. I started making my payments Sept. 2017 and have made all my payments at the branch in my town. I pay my payment with cash. I keeps my receipt of payment from the bank (thankfully). I received a call from them yesterday stating that my January payment is now overdue. Smoke started coming out of my ears! I told the woman that all my payments are made at the bank and in cash and I have receipt from bank. She stated that this was not applied to my account. I am now ready to reach through the phone! I told her that the payment was made (and even gave her the reference number on receipt) "IN CASH AT THE BRANCH WHERE I LIVE" and how did this not get applied to my account.

She stated that I needed to fax her a copy of this receipt to prove the payment was made. To prevent myself from losing it completely I faxed her a copy of receipt. This morning I called and spoke to a gentleman and explained what I went through. He assured me that my fax was received and that they were working on my account. I asked him why this happened and he told me "the woman at the bank transposed the last 4 digits on my account number (my account number does not show on my receipts) and that it was credited to another account. He told me this will be resolved today. Let's hope I won't have to make another call!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I opened a car loan with Santander in July of 2015 for $15,000 and have been making my payments for about 2.5 years. Logged in online to see my payoff amount is $16,000. 2 and a half years later of making payments, I still owe a thousand dollars more than the original loan was for. After doing some research to find out the interest rate of 25% exceeds the interest rate cap in the state of Texas (18%), I called and tried to settle and wouldn't. I will be taking them to court!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

TD Auto Finance removed my auto pay and bank information without communicating with me and resulted to a miss payment and a negative drop on my credit score. My auto pay has always been on time and bank information has always been active in their system for 2 years with no problems. I have contacted the bank about the issue and their customer service is inefficient, rude and does not offer any solution to the problem. While on the phone with service rep, she would constantly tell me that it is basically my fault for the miss payments, I replied by telling her how would I know the status when the bank does not communicate critical changes to my account. Auto pay is designed to prevent errors and missed payments and this auto financing company is very inefficient and I will never do business with this company nor recommend them to my family and community.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

We settled with a car making company (totally unrelated) and part of the settlement was to pay off our van. They sent the check directly to Santander back in October and again, in November when Santander said they never got it. Now, they claim to have gotten it and said 3 weeks ago that they were "waiting for it to clear". Now they are saying, "It's cleared! We will apply it to the balance." But it still hasn't. It cleared over 2 weeks ago. :( This is the worst company ever. Now it's showing we are late paying, and have added fees. I am pretty upset and we plan on hiring a lawyer.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I was searching for reviews of this company and their deferment program and didn't find many. So I am writing this to ease some minds. I have been with Santander for 3 years. Never once have I had an issue. I pay my bill via text for free. Never have been late since I got my car. Ran into some financial issues this month. Called yesterday and asked for the loan deferment program. Everything was explained in detail. I was not asked to pay anything upfront. They gave me 2 months without payment upon approval (It will ultimately push out my maturity date). I called them back within 2 hours of the original phone call and was told I was approved. I am grateful this company takes the time to work with customers!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I recently lost my vehicle to Hurricane Harvey. My car was a total loss. Santander Consumer financed another vehicle. I paid my first note a month in advance. I asked for a deferment for December which would help me buy Christmas for family. I was denied, I called for almost a month for status' but no one would ever contact me by phone or email. It is sad that this company has no compassion for victims of a natural disaster! Corporate greed!

Santander Consumer USA Company Information