Santander Consumer USA

Compare Loan Companies

Research top Loan Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Contact ktvu news station for help with this. Everybody who has been done wrong by this company 510 843-1212 this is crazy and a class action suit is being looked into so if you want to be apart. That's great!!! I'm going through the same thing right now and they will not get away with it. Everyone needs to know what's going on. Stop posting and do something. They are horrible!!! Class action suit.

I wanted to open a checking account online with Santander Bank. As a part of the verification application asks to answer personalized questions about one's recent financial or personal activity. There is nothing unusual about this - every online bank has this process of identity verification. What was unusual is that every question presented to me was not about any of my activity, i.e. all choices were a total miss. Having failed in that, bank asked me to upload pics of my identification. I uploaded US Passport and my state driver license. In a couple of days I received a notice of a denied application based on inability of validating my identity. With a Santander Bank, I wasted my time, put a blemish on my credit report, and gained nothing. Bad business!!!

This is the most horrible company ever! I bought a car last year in August. My payments were $241. I started paying on it in September because that was the first month I was told to start paying. 7 months go by of me paying my car payment and one night they come and take my car. Because I owed them $1,495!! I had been paying on the car for those 6-7 months! Turns out they only received one payment from me. When I called and asked why my account said past due they said the account hadn't updated itself so I made a payment over the phone and they took that money out of my account. Every other time I paid my car payment I paid online and it was confirmed I paid. But when I go on my account nothing is updated and I'm still behind all those months! They tell me I have to pay a certain amount to get the car out. I have no choice because all of my belongings are in that car.

This is the worst company. They rob you for all your money. I bought a car. Sticker price was 10,000 not realizing the contract I signed would put me in debt for the rest of my life. I have paid my car the last 6 yrs with a maturity date of Dec. 2017 to find out I have so far paid 16,000 to interest, 4,500 to my principal. My 4,500 down payment went straight in Santander pocket. Nothing went to the principal of my car and they're telling me to date I still owe them 8,000. This is insane. How have I paid 25,000 for a 2005 Nissan Altima and still owe 8,000 when sticker price was 10,000.

This company takes advantage of people. This should be illegal. Now the cars so old I can't get refinanced. I can't give car. Bills will destroy my credit. Can't trade in because I'll be upside down on another car. Only option to get out of this nightmare is to outright pay the 8,000 in full and chalk it up as a learning experience and never make the same mistake again... ** Santander. They are a rip-off. Hopefully someone one day sues this company. They deserve to be out of business.

Literally THE WORST BANK in my life. The bank has lost track several times of my international wire-ins (After my persistent calls they were unable to find it). Now that I requested a new card, the representative completely changed all my card info without telling me so I was unable to use my card and keep getting rejected. I'm so furious with this bank and going to change to another tomorrow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Please do not get financed by this company. They prey on people with low credit. I got a loan for a car in 2012 for a 2011 Nissan Sentra. I was desperate because I needed a car to get to work. The car was already overpriced at 15k by CarMax. 5 yrs later paying religiously $360 a month I still owe 6k. Apparently I made a deal with Satan, the devil Santander, my interest is 10k. Just sickening. I feel so stupid now. So please make sure you read all the fine prints with this company. Actually if you are on here trying to read reviews it is because you sense danger. RUN FAR FAR AWAY. Do not do business with this company. PLEASE!

Never purchased a car from the company!! Consistently harassing me about a loan I've never had!! You people must be desperate because you owe the bank 10 million from fraudulent accounts you have! But guess what. You won't be receiving a dime from me! Do me a favor. Just go bankrupt and leave innocent Americans ALONE!! If you contact me again, you will be giving me a car because I will sue your asses to the fullest extent of the law!!! And this is a threat! For the last time leave me ALONE!!!

I bought a Dodge Caliber From Ohio October 2015. My loan is through Santander Consumer. I have never in my life had bad luck this bad. First 30 days, car has issues THEN loud noises. Couldn't take it back, car dealership refused to fix it. After that within a year I went to apply for the renewal for registration. Come to find out they never got the title from Ohio to Texas to switch to PA. Oh was I livid at this point. I'm a mother with two children. I drove this car everywhere, the car was NOWHERE in any system at any DMV. I did all the steps I had to do to make sure the car was legal. NOPE. The plate was still registered to my old car. I never received my taxes from the dealership in Ohio. I had no choice to quit my job and stop payments.

Over 80 calls to the DMV to this trashy company and every single person was rude. No matter how many times I tried to explain it was their fault and I refused to give them payments for a car I can't drive let alone I could have been arrested for a stolen car/plate! They have no feelings other than money hungry. I have given them an option, was told no it's not enough. Now I'm being harassed every day because they charged off the account this year. Funny how the car should've been repossessed a long time ago yet they know they are screwing me and doing it illegally so they can't come get the car. I won't give in after all the heartache these people have done to my family. My credit was hit hard because of them. My advice - tell everyone to NEVER to go THEM!

I purchased a car and was in dire need of a car. I went to reputable dealer where I purchased a car. Little did I know that the loan that I received was from Santander. I have had this car since August of 2013 and it seems as though I have never paid the balance of the note down. Because the cars age and reliability it is not worth the money that I am paying... Bought it for 15k and have a little of 13k plus to pay for it. Because I was in a job that did not pay me as well, and with student loans I would call and ask if I could have an extension to get the money into them. Unaware that they moved back the day and pushed more interest and fees on the loan.

I have paid more on my account and it has yet to bring my balance down. They have even taken my car away, and I was told if I paid a certain amount I would have it back and it would not affect my credit nor would it go on my report. All were untruths. This is very frustrating and I had no idea that this bank was as ruthless and deceiving as they could be. Almost preying on those that are trying to rebuild from past mistakes. Now I am trying to get a much larger car, and my circumstances have gotten better with my finances, it is quite difficult to get away from the Santander nightmare! These people are vampires, their customer service in making request of them is well below mentioning. Although this is a so called second chance lender, they should be investigated for the ridiculous way they treat people and their business practices... Yet I have got to get them from around my neck.

I purchased my truck in June of 2015. Loved my truck and was thrilled that I got it. However what the dealer or Santander didn't tell me was they was gonna screw me really hard! Almost 2 years later after paying on my truck I owe more now than what I purchased the Damn truck for! HOW?!?! Well I started having seizures couldn't drive talk to Santander on a regular basis because they will blow your phone up In a heartbeat! They couldn't wait a week for a payment?!?! Are you serious. Ohhh that's because they failed to tell me that they added all kinds of fees when I had gotten a 2 month extension! These people are crooks!!! STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM THEM! THEY ARE MONEY HUNGRY **! I've never had anyone make my blood boil like these people! I could go on and on but I just recommend everyone to stay far away!! UNLESS YOU WANT TO PAY ON A CAR FOR 30 YEARS! CROOKS!!!

I called Santander to get my car back, because I was behind on payment. The customer service representative I talked to told. Me to pay 809.95 to get my car back, so I gave her my information and she had to transfer me to another department to restore my information and payment but the other department already told me my vehicle had been sold already, I said "well why she didn't tell me that I wouldn't have me a payment", and they transfer me to a loan officer who told me that they apologize and that I should cancel the payment. SANTANDER IS A SCAM.

Lured to the bank by an offer to open a check acct. With direct deposit. Met all conditions. Ac s/h been credited $225 as a bonus on 2/14/17. They have not. Ac/ was opened at the manchester Nj. Branch. Just wrote to the state banking to assist me with issue.

Bought my car in 2010. Still have 5 more months to go then went out to trade for a truck. But come to me that I still owe 5122.18. They said it was incur of late payment. I was shocked cuz the late payment was not add to my regular monthly payment. I called and told them that it was their fault for not putting the late payment on my regular payment. So now I am stucks with the loan and it won't be done for another year. That really boiled me over. Will never deal with them. They are greedy and big time ripped off. I reported it to bbb.org.

Went to a local branch to deposit business funds... that after visiting two other banks (Rockland Trust Co., Eastern Bank - who were open and functioning!). To find out after 15 minutes wait online, there was no plan to open (decided in last 10 minutes???) Where were employees??? Me and 12 other business accounts!!! All very pissed!! In the meantime, my mail was delivered by USPS, so... DON'T BANK WITH SANTANDER!! Not if you want a RELIABLE BANK!! Sorry! But I stayed up half the night to decide the plan for my employees safety. If I can do that, why not The Great Santander???

Worst company ever - I have had a loan through Santander. Through the year of paying this company I have had to extend the loan by 4 months. Little did I know that they would continue to accrue interest and charge me for the months that was extended. NO one ever handed me a contract or verbally told me this. I have been paying a year and my loan has not gone down. I would stay far away from this company. NO one should ever feel like they are throwing their money away. This company does not care about you and they never will. Save yourself the heartache and disappointment of feeling used by a company that will never help you.

I was never able to fully open the account. When I called to activate the card, I had to verify all of my information, but then was transferred to fraud department, who said I had to physically visit a branch to show an ID - this would be a 10-hour trip for me. When I spoke to a supervisor, the same story was told. Chase/Amex/Citi has never required this of me. This is clearly a scheme to prevent the use of their 0% balance transfer offer for which I was approved. They placed a HARD INQUIRY on me that will stay for 25 months, and I will never be able to use this card. I see other reviews online that state the same problem.

I purchased a car in 2014 and it was totaled out 2016 due to flood. I found out that all the money I have been paying was going towards interest and not the principal balance. They gave me excuses and couldn't give me any direct answers as to why I had a high balance left over.

I was looking to pay off my auto loan of just over $4000. When I called I was told that I could only pay $2000 a day because it is done through a 3rd party. Ok. Fine. The catch was that I would be charged a convenience fee for the 3 payments I would have to be making. Two payments for $2000 each and one payment for $44. I made the first payment and they were nice enough to waive the $10 fee. I called to make the second payment and I am told they can only waive the fee once during the life of the loan.

I asked for a supervisor and when she got on the phone, she repeated what the representative had told me and was not willing to help at all and was not even nice about it. Here I am looking to give over $4000 to your bank and you cannot waive the $30 fee? This is, of course, principle. Why am I paying a convenience fee, when it is not so convenient to have to call back on 3 separate occasions? Not to mention they were clearly reading from a script and very robotic. As a supervisor, she didn't even attempt to see if she could do anything. So irritated with them.

I went to trade my car yesterday at Henderson Chevrolet, and the only choice of a car was a 2017. I kept insisting that I could not afford this car. I am a disabled veteran, as well as a college student that is in great need of a reliable car. I am also on the HUD VASH program for homeless veterans. They kept me so busy in this car buying process I did not have time to call anyone, and I tried to leave at one point, but they had taken my car keys. I have tried to return the car, and I was told by the salesman, the finance guy, and Santander Consumer that I could not do this, even though I had only drove home with this car.

After researching Santander Consumer, they manipulate your credit store to allow the loan to process, knowing that you are going to default on the loan. All the while telling me that they are doing this to honor my veteran status, and getting me the deal I deserve. I begin my internship at the end of March, and now I will not have any car to accomplish this task to graduate. Please pray for me and my service dog, Lola for a answer to this situation!

I had reported my bank card lost and stolen on Friday the 13th. The lady I spoke to was great help. I leave my card in the ATM Friday after making a deposit. Of course I do that on a holiday weekend. My 6 year old son is sick with the flu so yesterday used a check to buy medicine after hospital trip. Today when I go to use my check again at stop and shop it was denied. I called the number and faced the reference number. They said was denied because I have no history of using checks, which was good in a way. Figure I will press 1 talk to customer service. First off couldn't understand a word she was saying. I updated my info and thought she was telling because insufficient funds, finally after saying 3 times "can't be. I have plenty of money" I heard her say history.

OK I said I'm still at the market and need to purchase things I need for my son plus was getting $50.00 out for gas purchase. She then relax me "your information is updated. Should I go in and try again but it might still get rejected. Is there anything else I can assist you with." I said "you're telling me I can try it but possibly might get denied so go through and talked a chance of leaving my groceries again and being embarrassed." Only response was "yes. Now is there anything else I can help you with." I was so upset now going home to tell my son couldn't get ice pops and some Pedialyte. I'm so upset that she was so rude. Couldn't understand her on top of this. Santander is the worst for emergency situations and they hire people who don't speak good English and good customer service skills. I really want to switch banks because of this. TD Bank was great when it came to being in situations.

First of all, I did not know Chrysler Capital treats its military veterans like crap. I bought a 2010 Chevy Malibu at $22000.00 because a friend said it was worth it. I was making all my regular payments until I had a 2 1/2 ton truck roll over my legs and I could not perform my job duties. I fell on hard times and applied for bankruptcy. Worse thing I ever did. For 6 months I was on /off from work so bankruptcy had to end. As soon as the bankruptcy ended they repo the car because they wanted me to pay almost $3000.in two weeks.

Never in my lifetime had I ever had to tell my baby daughter that they wanted me to pay for her clothes that was left in the car. My daughter has to go to school with some old clothes and shoes because I didn't have any money to pay for it. I'm a 25 year military veteran with combat and it's a disgrace to say that our money bail them out when the economy was bad and they treat us like that. I should have stayed with Ford. I learned my lesson and when I get back up on my feet, in my family we will never have a Chrysler vehicle parked in the garage or or on the yard.

I have a debit card that I use regularly. I had to dispute a charge from a company because the item I ordered online was not received. My first and only dispute on my debit card in the 7 years I have been using it. My claim was denied (like a $50 purchase)... No doubt if I had used my Capital One or Chase freedom card... there would have been no problem... I'm changing banks. Bye Sovereign Santander and whatever you will be next Monday.

We decided to pay down our HELOC. We then received a notice stating the payment would be deducted. So I went into my branch and was told that was because the statement was for a time period outside of the time frame that I paid down the HELOC. Well, Santander then took out the payment. I called and was told that the payment was sitting in the overpayment bin and they would transfer it back in 1 to 3 business days. They stole my money. Now they get to use it for the time period that they stole it. I hope to speak to a regional manager tomorrow. If not satisfied then I hit the banking commission and pull money out to some other place.

I have never been so dissatisfied with a company enough to create an account with ConsumerAffairs and write a review but here I am. Chrysler Capital is the absolute worst place you can get an auto loan. There is no grace period with them at all. So say your payment is due Monday but you don't get paid until the following Thursday you will get charged $10 a day until it's paid. Also they will harass you every day you're late no matter how many times you explain why you haven't paid yet. They will not work with you. They will not change your due date. IF YOU'RE GOING TO GET A LOAN GO THROUGH A REPUTABLE BANK OR CREDIT UNION. Last month I traded in my truck and the payoff was sent to Chrysler Capital the 16th they are still calling me, harassing me, threatening my credit. Ridiculous company. I am dissatisfied. Disgusted. Boo Chrysler Capital and boo Larry H. Miller for using them.

This company is horrible. Purchased a vehicle on 7/20/16 and 10/10/10 we were hit from Hurricane Matthew. Called them and let them know that about the claim w/ insurance co and that flood water got into the engine and inside. Also have Gap Insurance. As soon as I was told that Progressive did in fact total it out, I called them and told them every 4-5 days I called my insurance co for updates and soon as I hung up with them, I called Santander to keep them informed.

I have emailed them every copy of correspondence from insurance companies as I received them. I did pay a payment of $200 in the interim because they said they'd place a late on my credit if I didn't. Today, I get a nasty letter from legal saying they are going to enforce the right to cure and that I'm in default, will also go after me for their attorney fees, even though they have received every penny from both insurance companies, paying the pay off in FULL and owe me the refund of the $200 overage from my 11/20 payment. Steer clear! They stated that IF I am due the $200 after all payments from ins co's, it will take 45 days, if they determine it is an overage. Entire payoff has been received by them, not including my $200. Awful.

To start off they have EXTREMELY HIGH interest rates, but because of the situation I was in at the time I needed a car immediately. I've never been late in my car note, never missed a payment but Anytime I call in to address an issue with my account balance, which is EVERY MONTH, most of the representatives are extremely rude even one of the Account managers I spoke with named Juan.

I also had an accident OVER A MONTH AGO and because Chrysler Capital won't release the check to the body shop I have yet to receive my vehicle. I've called almost everyday for the past two months and every time there's paperwork missing or an issue with them having to verify the body shop I have taken my car to, which by the way is a CERTIFIED and reputable local shop in my city. This man has sent his business ID number from the IRS and EVERYTHING all because they want me to go to one of the expensive shops they recommend. They don't bother to contact me letting me know when they are missing documents. I even had to call them before I mailed the check to them because I didn't know why they were holding it! I've had it with this sorry company!

I purchased a 2008 Ford Fusion from my local dealership 29 months ago. My loan was through Santander. This is the worse company ever. My car was $9000. My interest for the 60 month loan was $8000 which made my total $17000. Within the 29 months I've only been late 5 times due to the loss of my job. This company would call on a daily basis over and over no matter how many people I talk to and explained my situation they still continued the call. A week ago my car got totaled and I called them to find out how much my payoff would be for my insurance company.

Well clearly they are trying to screw me over they are saying my payoff is over $9000 which is more than my car even cost and I had already paid them over $8700. I ask why do I owe so much. The rep told me "Well you have late fees and you have accrued interest on this loan." I said "But my interest was only $8000 for the full term of the loan. 60 months and my insurance company is going to pay the value of my car which is almost $5000." Santander then said "Well when is your insurance paying us and if it doesn't cover your payoff when are you making a payment?" I said "Really my car is totaled, my wife nor I can get to work and you are worried about when I'm gonna make a payment."

I have had enough with the rude man so I hung up. I'm not sure what to do. This is gonna ruin my credit after my insurance pays them. I will still owe a balance of over $4000 and they refused to only take their interest for the 29 months they want the full term amount plus sum. Any info on what I should do will be greatly appreciated.

Me and my husband purchasable 2008 Dodge Charger in September of 2008. The original loan was with Chrysler Corp. Santander eventually took over the loan. In January of this year (2016), my husband stopped making payments on the car. He did not let me know this until March when we received a letter from Santander. I immediately got on the phone and called Santander what I needed to do. Over the next few days I talked to several of Santander's representatives. Each time I got a different response on what I needed to do. I was finally told they would send me paper to do a readjustment. I was told to send my payment via MoneyGram which cost me 10 to 15 dollars every month (the fee had gone up from when I started making my payments from April to November of 2016).

The problem with this company is they have representatives that does not speak English, therefore it is hard to understand them. When I talked to anyone of "their" representatives about the readjustment, I was told to pay a certain amount on a specific day and to wire the payment. I was told to do this from April until November. None of "their" representatives ever told me that I would have a balance of late fees (supposedly during the life of the loan). I have tried talking to several of "their" management about this situation. That I was never told that my car would not be paid off in November like I was led to believe.

I want to know how this company can do business like this. This has to be the most dishonest company I have ever dealt with. I am not a prejudiced person, but when I am doing business (especially when it concerns my money), I want a person that can speak English (as in my case) that I understand them and they understand me.

I have paid my car loan on time for over four years. With the exception of TWO payments, which I made deferments for with Santander. A deferment is not a late payment by very definition of the word. So fast forward, Santander waited about three years after the deferments were made to update my credit report with 60+ days late TWICE. This means the house my family and I were going to purchase is a no go due to how awful it affected my credit score. The first guy I spoke to said they won't remove it from my credit report. The second guy gave me completely opposite information, including a department that handles those issues. I keep sending letters but nobody ever replies and calling or chat doesn't help either. The information given is NEVER the same twice.

Santander has single-handedly destroyed my opportunity at home ownership. I don't understand how what they did was legal, because it certainly doesn't seem legal or beneficial in any way for either of us. There's absolutely no benefit in continuing to pay my car loan anymore. I would have paid it until the bitter end had they not destroyed my credit pointlessly. Go to a "buy here, pay here" place and save yourself tens of thousands of dollars instead.

Also, the value of my car is about $8,000. After paying almost $600 a month for FOUR years, I still owe $20,000 until my car loan will be paid off. Which is nearly the exact same amount I owed four years ago. Do the math. I've paid Santander $28,800 for a car that was only worth $18k to begin with and I somehow still owe $20k, meaning I'm paying FIFTY GRAND for a car worth less than TWENTY. They call it 26% interest, but that's certainly not accurate either when you do the math. Seriously, make a deal with Satan before you make a deal with Santander. You couldn't possibly fare any worse.

I had a car loan through this company that was paid off in 2012. We never received a lien release letter or clear title to this vehicle. They said they mailed one out but we never received it. Time went on and we forgot about the fact that the only title we had has a lien on it. When we tried to sell the car in 2016 we went to the DMV to get a clear title but they still had the one with the lien on it. Called Santander in to request another title and was told we have to go through a 3rd party vendor to handle lien release requests which costs extra money for them to contact Santander to get a release of lien letter. This is ridiculous... Don't ever get a loan from this company.

Santander Consumer USA Company Profile