1.38/5
Based on 103 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a loan company?

Santander Consumer USA

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 17, 2018

1140 Santander Consumer USA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I co-signed on a vehicle 6 years ago for an ex bf at the time. He wrecked the vehicle the day after he got it. Insurance paid Santander their portion of the cost but GAP won't cover. They're saying they need additional paperwork from me. I had, or thought I had, this handled 6 years ago when they quit calling me about the vehicle. Here we are 6 years later and Santander is still claiming there is still a balance owed. (Mind you they stopped calling me for FIVE years until just recently) I have called more times than I can count to try to get the necessary paperwork I needed from Santander to send to the GAP insurance company but they will NOT help me.

I even went as far as having a friend of mine, who was a insurance claims adjuster, talk with me and a manager at the same time to get it resolved. That specific manager claims he put a cease and desist note on the account until I could get right with the GAP insurance yet they are STILL calling me harassing me for over $5000. The manager has yet to send me the paperwork I requested 3 weeks ago to send to GAP so I have no idea what else to do! Please help me! I will NEVER use this company again as a Lienholder and I will make sure No one else does either.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I sent a money order in for payment back on October 20th of 2016. Early November I received a call from Santander saying I was late, and that I needed to pay now. I assured them I had already paid and to check their records, which the rep did and found nothing. I immediately called Western Union which is the money order I mailed in and they told me it had been cashed in October 31st 2016. I was also told if I wanted to investigate I had to pay $14, which I did. Weeks later I received a photocopy of my money order, with pay to the order of “Drive” on the front of it and on the back a stamp from Chase bank with an account number. I called Chase who said they couldn’t give out account information over the phone so I called Santander. The rep told me Drive is one of their subsidiary companies and that the Chase account number is indeed theirs (wrong move).

I immediately said, "Well someone wrote, altered my money order, wrote Drive in pen and then deposited it into the subsidiary's account. My credit score took a hit. Late payments accrued all because of your company." They ensured me no one from their would do such a thing and that someone from the Kroger supermarket in Suwanee, GA must of done it. Only problem is their company is located in Texas so how would anyone from Georgia know to write that and then why would I go ahead and mail it. I was escalated to the president's office and proceeded to argue for the next few months with them. I emailed the photocopy within weeks of receiving it. And then a random check came in the mail with no letter, no information as to why and I called Santander and the rep told me to deposit it and see if it cashes because they have no record of the check and if it cashes to keep it. That sounded shady so I didn’t.

After I didn’t someone from the office of the president called me and told me I had to cash it or they would automatically apply it to my account. Meanwhile they still couldn’t “locate” my payment but Western Union could. I was then sent a letter threatening of repossession if I didn’t pay $886 immediately. I called and said, "Is it a coincidence that a random check was mailed. I didn’t cash it and now a threatening letter a week later?" She assured me it was and to pay which I didn’t, and nothing happened because they were in the wrong and bluffing.

Months later with nothing resolved I reported them to the credit bureau as fraud and then wrote a demand letter stating I want out of my loan with the title in hand or I will sue, they called and said they would reverse $200 worth of late fees and that they would not let me out. I said not good enough. Someone from the president's office called and said, "I understand your frustration. Maybe Kroger sometimes has a system where it electronically prints it on," I said, "No it was written in pen," which he paused briefly then asked me to email him. After he received it he placed me on hold for 5 minutes and then asked what I wanted. I told him. Another hold and then I was told they would not let me out of the loan and I would have to move forward with my suit.

The letter was written by me and not legally so maybe they thought I was bluffing but I am moving forward with it because check fraud or alteration is a federal offense. My question is has anyone had anything sketchy or alarming happen with their payments and took legal action? If so please contact me and let me know the outcome.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have had Santander for a car loan. (Bad credit thing) They were the only ones to give me a loan. I started making my payments Sept. 2017 and have made all my payments at the branch in my town. I pay my payment with cash. I keeps my receipt of payment from the bank (thankfully). I received a call from them yesterday stating that my January payment is now overdue. Smoke started coming out of my ears! I told the woman that all my payments are made at the bank and in cash and I have receipt from bank. She stated that this was not applied to my account. I am now ready to reach through the phone! I told her that the payment was made (and even gave her the reference number on receipt) "IN CASH AT THE BRANCH WHERE I LIVE" and how did this not get applied to my account.

She stated that I needed to fax her a copy of this receipt to prove the payment was made. To prevent myself from losing it completely I faxed her a copy of receipt. This morning I called and spoke to a gentleman and explained what I went through. He assured me that my fax was received and that they were working on my account. I asked him why this happened and he told me "the woman at the bank transposed the last 4 digits on my account number (my account number does not show on my receipts) and that it was credited to another account. He told me this will be resolved today. Let's hope I won't have to make another call!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I opened a car loan with Santander in July of 2015 for $15,000 and have been making my payments for about 2.5 years. Logged in online to see my payoff amount is $16,000. 2 and a half years later of making payments, I still owe a thousand dollars more than the original loan was for. After doing some research to find out the interest rate of 25% exceeds the interest rate cap in the state of Texas (18%), I called and tried to settle and wouldn't. I will be taking them to court!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

TD Auto Finance removed my auto pay and bank information without communicating with me and resulted to a miss payment and a negative drop on my credit score. My auto pay has always been on time and bank information has always been active in their system for 2 years with no problems. I have contacted the bank about the issue and their customer service is inefficient, rude and does not offer any solution to the problem. While on the phone with service rep, she would constantly tell me that it is basically my fault for the miss payments, I replied by telling her how would I know the status when the bank does not communicate critical changes to my account. Auto pay is designed to prevent errors and missed payments and this auto financing company is very inefficient and I will never do business with this company nor recommend them to my family and community.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

We settled with a car making company (totally unrelated) and part of the settlement was to pay off our van. They sent the check directly to Santander back in October and again, in November when Santander said they never got it. Now, they claim to have gotten it and said 3 weeks ago that they were "waiting for it to clear". Now they are saying, "It's cleared! We will apply it to the balance." But it still hasn't. It cleared over 2 weeks ago. :( This is the worst company ever. Now it's showing we are late paying, and have added fees. I am pretty upset and we plan on hiring a lawyer.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I was searching for reviews of this company and their deferment program and didn't find many. So I am writing this to ease some minds. I have been with Santander for 3 years. Never once have I had an issue. I pay my bill via text for free. Never have been late since I got my car. Ran into some financial issues this month. Called yesterday and asked for the loan deferment program. Everything was explained in detail. I was not asked to pay anything upfront. They gave me 2 months without payment upon approval (It will ultimately push out my maturity date). I called them back within 2 hours of the original phone call and was told I was approved. I am grateful this company takes the time to work with customers!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I recently lost my vehicle to Hurricane Harvey. My car was a total loss. Santander Consumer financed another vehicle. I paid my first note a month in advance. I asked for a deferment for December which would help me buy Christmas for family. I was denied, I called for almost a month for status' but no one would ever contact me by phone or email. It is sad that this company has no compassion for victims of a natural disaster! Corporate greed!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Santander is completely inept in handling payoff checks. In October of 2017, we attempted to pay off the car loan. Rather than crediting the account as a payoff, they took the CERTIFIED BANK CHECK to mean that the money was a refinance and NOT a payoff. Consequently, Santander sent the title to the bank instead of to us. It is now the end of November and we STILL do not have the title to the vehicle.Two weeks ago, the vehicle experienced an electrical fire that resulted in the insurance company totalling it out. The insurance company requires the title in order to complete the claim - the title that is who knows where - Santander certainly doesn't!

We took out a personal loan to pay off the vehicle because we were tired of the poor business practices, rude, uninformed and misleading customer service, and constant back-and-forth overpayments made but not accurately credited or applied in a timely manner. We wish we'd more deeply researched Santander before selecting them as a lender. I hope this review steers someone else away from them. Don't let a 1 or 2% lower interest rate or a lower payment of a few dollars sway you in their favor. It's not worth the continuous aggravation that comes with attempting to deal with a completely inept company - one that should be forbidden to do business in the United States.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

This is the worst finance company ever. I had a total list and even after the insurance company paid for the car I still was left owing them a balance. I suggest waiting for your credit to improve or go to a buy here pay here lot because Santander is a ripoff. I wish I could have left NO stars…

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

We refinanced back in June with a better company with lower interest for our vehicle. Chrysler capital is suppose to refund 2200 for gap ins and warranty to us. We have signed the paperwork for the return and have called several times over months wondering where our money is. It's now end of Nov and we have had so many stories and apparently they have mailed this same check out several times but we have not gotten a thing. The story changes every time we call in. This is our money we have been waiting on for months and they are basically refusing to give it to us and make up lies. I would never do business with this company or suggest anyone to use them.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

First mistake I made was 2013 getting a car loan through this bank. After 4 years of making payments my balance was still the same. One of my regrets was ever signing those loan papers. My car 4 years later only worth $400. Decided to stop making payments and have them take the car. I was able to get a brand new car with the help of my family for co-signer. I understand my credit took a huge hit, however I feel much better and free from getting out of this mess. I will never sign any papers with these people. Also have been in contact with the state attorney about the lawsuit! I will suggest to people to be aware of you signing any agreements with these people.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

After paying on a car loan since March 2017 -- well in advance of monthly deadlines, well OVER the amount due each and every time, I am NOW told that my online account is disabled and I must physically go to my bank and do an electronic funds transfer (which will cost me $$). The reason? In 2012 I filed Chapter 13. The car was purchased with every T crossed and I dotted, and yet, with ONE MONTH left in Chapter 13, I suddenly am *more* of a risk, despite 100% timely, above-and-beyond payments. Never EVER EVER use this company! I did because I didn't have a choice. Rest assured the moment I am able to, I will refinance through a reputable company that treats their customers accurately. I can only imagine how they treat bad customers if this is how they treat the good ones. AVOID SANTANDER!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I read through the complaints. Folks! You get what you earn. If you have bad credit or sloppy credit you will pay and be watched closely. I have had nothing but good vibes with this company. The blame goes back on you not the financer!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I am here to tell those hardworking people out there to stay away from this bank Santander Consumer USA. Do not apply for auto loan or home loan or whatever loan. Don't apply please. They are bloodsucker. They will mess your credit in just a few weeks or in 2 months and will charge you extra like you earning money and working hard for them. I call them bloodsucker. I am planning to sue them. I am just collecting some evidence. In auto loan I pay them almost $15000 dollar. Not even 1 percent went to principal and they sending me the bill that I just pay $6000 only. LOL. WOW.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

This company financed a car for me back in 2014. I paid a little more than my monthly payments each month on time. It surprises me to see so many bad reviews. I had no problem whatsoever. I received my title to my car a couple of months ago. I do not feel cheated or robbed. If I get another car in the future I would LOVE for this company to finance it for me. Thanks Santander for a job well done.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My fiancè and I financed a vehicle and they were the only option we had at the time given my layoff and having a newborn on the way. Having ** credit thanks in large part to my ex wife running up bills under my information before I could put a stop to it, we were forced to absorb a hefty 21% interest rate. As many other have said, many of the initial payments go almost strictly to interest. Pay $352 and watch 320 go to interest. You get the idea. Now, despite paying on time for a year and having been told that we could refinance if we did so to get a lower rate by the dealership, Santander says "we dont do that". Ok so the salesperson lied. Shocker.

But after over 4 1/2 years of making payments we are still somehow paying for this van. We hit our maturity date and still owed money? How? What are these fees... Why did so much go into just interest and not pay down the principal as it should have. So after it hit maturity date, we then had to re open another loan for the balance and to no surprise the first payments again are solely going to interest again. It's ridiculous with this bank. They've been hit with a Class action in other states... When will NY hit them again for these bully tactics and preying on the unfortunate. They make themselves difficult to contact, they take forever to respond to information requests. Trying to talk to them on the phone is impossible and I'm sure it's by design. I warn everyone I know not to even finance a toaster oven through these people. You will pay 3000% in value for it.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

When you call in for questions they will ask you all your info just to help you. By all I mean your name, your address, mother's maiden name, two security questions with the answers, the checking account number, the savings account number, the credit card number with expirations date and the three digit code which means they have every info on a person but it gets worse. They then send a message to your phone with a code and they will not help you without all the above happening... I guess no one learned from Wells Fargo when they were opening fake accounts. I am leaving this bank immediately and need to warn everyone on Facebook etc.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I have had a loan with this company since December 2013. I was making payments and then the amount of payments begin to go up. I started paying $305 a month and if late, then $16.50 late fee was added. I was behind a few times and made up the payments due to being unemployed and couldn’t afford to pay along with other bills. After calling this company (which I no longer do, I send information in writing certified read receipt via the post office) I was treated unprofessionally and after being put on hold for 5 mins for one call, then 30 mins for another I would get hung up on. I then contacted my attorney for information on how to deal with these crooks.

I called this company asking why my payments were doubled one month, then tripled the next month, then through the roof another time when I was paying what I was supposed to pay. I found a copy of my contract and did what my attorney advised me to do. I no longer call this company at all anymore. I send them information certified read receipt via the USPS. That way I can get the information I need to sue these crooks for lying to me. And I pulled my credit reports and on all 3 bureaus they put different amounts that I am supposed to pay. Time for more certified read receipt letters to go out.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My fiance financed his truck through Santander Consumer USA 4 years ago! He has already paid $10,000 more than the actual price of the truck and they still say he owes $17,000 more on it!!! Are you kidding me? That means by the time he is done he will have paid over $30,000 for an 08 pickup truck!!! We all need to get together, sue them and try to shut them down!!! They target people who have bad credit and take advantage of them!!! This is ridiculous!!! Any lawyers want to help?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I purchased a washer and dryer for my granddaughter as a wedding gift in 2015. I took the loan out through this company. Within one month I paid the full amount off in 2015. The loan was paid off. I'm continually getting a bill and when I call to find out why they're still billing me they said they're billing me because I never called to close my account. I've never heard of that my life. I'm a 63 year old senior. I've been purchasing items from ABC for over 30 years and I've never known a contract to say that you have to actually call the lender once your loan's paid off. As far as I know you're done. It's paid off paid in full but they're saying now that I'm up to $214. They're trying to get for me for not calling to close the account back in 2015. Is this legal.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I recently sent them a check from my insurance company for $2066 for damages done to the vehicle and they have been sitting on the check. They haven't forwarded the check or added to the balance of the vehicle. I think they are trying to steal it. If so, this is embezzlement. They have my husband calling around. When he asked about the check they claim to be trying to find out which auto shop to send the check to. My husband told them to mail the check back. He had his own body shop to send it to. They have yet to reply. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME GETTING A VEHICLE THROUGH THESE CROOKS. They will try and STEAL EVERY PENNY THEY CAN EVEN FROM YOU!!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Well my experience was insane. I stated with this company owing 18,600 and some odd dollars in principal and 33,000 dollars after interest... Now if that alone ain't insane. I said okay, I signed for that deal I will go thru with it. But here's the kicker... First 2 payments after I get car I paid over to get my principal to 17,765 within a month of having car. 6 month later every payment on time and every penny went interest. Called their customer service and was told in a sense that I should pay early or twice a month to get my principal down. So I refinance with a lower APR. AND GUESS WHAT... They send the amount of almost exactly what I owed them from the start to my new loan company. Kind of like I never paid anything. Horrible.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I woke up yesterday and saw my car being towed away. I immediately called Santander and was notified that computer system was down and glitches were messing up dates in the system. Santander has claimed responsibility. However, their computer systems are down now two days in a row and are unable to process my car to be released. I was told my car would be sent to auction if I do not claim it in time within 24 hours. This 24 hours mark has passed. All I need is an email sent to the tow company to release my car and sent to my email as well. They claim they are unable to do so because of computer glitches. I find it hard to believe that the company is unable to send an email.

I have received a dozen apologies but this has been a major hardship on me, as I have had to take two days off work now so I can call once per hour to see if their computer is back up. Everyone has been nice, one lady was condescending. Overall, I am pleased with their attitudes. But you can't take someone's car when they have been making payments due to computer glitches. My car was basically stolen from Santander and they refuse to help me get it released, even when my account is 100% paid. I don't recommend. I have been with this car loan company for three years and I can't believe this has happened. My payments were all on time and this is due to a computer glitch switching dates and deleting payments out of the system.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I refinanced my vehicle. The check was lost in the mail, unbeknownst to me until I got a call from their collections department. On a conference call with my bank that refinanced and Santander, we had to go through four "managers" only to find out that the president of the company would honor my bank’s back dated check. They are charging the interest. And still, even though I gave them permission, will not talk to my financial institution. Are they a financial institution??? I question that. I also will ask to have in writing that they will not ding MY credit, because my payoff from my credit union was lost in the mail. Poor service. The president of the company is the only one that has power in Santander??? I will NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

We've had an auto loan with the company for about 6 months. I created an online account that requires an email, password, and either the model year of your vehicle or the last 4 of your social. I have an email in my inbox confirming the account set-up. I also have a notebook with all of my usernames and passwords. For the last six months when logging in attempting to pay it says incorrect information. I go to the forgot password/username and attempt to retrieve what they say is incorrect. Even though I have it written down for EVERY time I have had to change it. Next, when I attempt to just bypass the nonsense and set up a new account it says that one's already exist while on the other page it says that it does not!!! However, if you have to call and make a payment with an agent there is a fee!

SCAMMING the people. I have never written a bad review but this is by far the most frustrating and shady loan company that I have ever dealt with and we will be refinancing somewhere else. ASAP! Once I was charged a late fee for entering the wrong checking account number online. It's possible I made a typing mistake on a number that I've had for 20 years and know my heart but they could not produce the paperwork showing the suggested mistake that cost me $40. I am officially done.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have made 6 months worth of early/on-time payments and have even paid extra. They apply 0% of the payments to the principal. And merely apply it to next month's bill. A simple interest loan does not work this way. For the past 2 months my principal has not gone down 1 cent. I called and was on the phone with their Cust SVC for hours and they could not explain to me why they were doing this. They could not provide me with a monthly payment amount that would ensure my car is paid within the agreed time frame. My monthly payment amount requirement number on their website has no relation to any type of actual amount I need to pay to pay off my car. $650 payments made on the 1st (due in 25th) for the past two months have brought my amount owed from $27,100 to $27,100. I'm getting ripped off. I'll never own this car even while making on time payments early. Santander should not be a last resort. It should be a non-option. Do not use them.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I had my car financed with Santander July 2014. I tried to refinance my car. I owed more than the car was worth. I voluntarily gave it back in August 2016. They are still reporting negative information on my credit bureaus. They're reporting I am late on my car payments. They still report full balance of the loan on my credit bureaus and they sold the car at an auction.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

This company is terrible. I have had my CC for 2 years with no missed or late payments. They closed my account saying that they don't deal with the company anymore and jacked my interest rate up. So not only am I paying on a closed account, but the interest rate is so high it's like I'm paying nothing. Tried to get them to lower it was a waste of time. Very disrespectful customer service also!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I had a long standing relationship with this bank and never had a problem up until 2 years ago when money started slowly missing from my checking account. Week after week money was missing. I went to the branch several times to complain and each time they said it was my fault and that it was my calculator and my error. I have been at my new bank so far for four months and so far every week the numbers are exact. I am using the same calculator. So where did all my money go and why wasn't it fixed or taken care of. I will never recommend this bank to anyone.

Santander Consumer USA Company Information

www.santanderconsumerusa.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use