Find a Loan Companies partner

2. Finance
  3. Loan Companies

1.2/5 (48 ratings)
Find a Loan Companies partner

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

About Santander Consumer USA

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

Santander Consumer USA Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: May 30, 2021

As an old person, wasn't sure if online was safe. So I had to go to bank building to check on my accounts. Decided to try online a while back when pandemic started. Now I am enjoying this convenience.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I and my Deadbeat daughter are on the Title yet I get No notification in the mail when the monthly payment has not been made. I get a Notice of Right To Repossess. I have five days to make three back payments or the car is getting repossess. I call an attorney first. Then I call Santander...ask them why I did not receive any notifications for the past three months? Why their web page states, "Our commitment is to do everything we can for those affected by Coronavirus (COVID-19)." Ask them what can they do for me? No reply just, "How much can you pay today". I say first answer my questions. They can't 'cause they are stupid.

They also have posted on their web page ,"Have you been impacted by COVID-19? Learn what Santander Consumer USA is doing to assist those who need help with their payments. How we can help you", so I ask them for help and No reply. Just switched me to another Dummy. So I would not play their game so they hung up. Have both operators numbers. Can't get anyone on the phone with half a brain to help work this out.

6 day notification is not enough But it fell on deaf ears. No help and would not or could not answer my questions. Why was I not sent a notice that the car notes had not been paid...but then send me a notice 6 days before they are planning on taking back the car???? I am on the title...I have a right to know...I could have done something if notified at all not 6 days before. I am notifying the FTC, BBB, etc. of this...Just wanted to strong arm me into a payment.

Get buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2021

When I got my car financed it took 2 months to get Santander to send any info. I paid my first note to the car dealership. Santander said I was late when it was their fault. It took forever to get caught up. Paid on the car every month for 3 years. Then one day woke up and the car was gone. Santander said the car hadn't been paid for in 2 years! They lied! And would not speak to me every time I called. I was put on hold for an hours! I finally gave up and now I have a repo on my record. I do not recommend Santander to anyone ever! Now I just heard from a friend they have Santander that is auto paid every month and they just got a letter saying it was gonna be repoed. I never even got a letter!

Original review: July 23, 2021

I paid my loan off in June. It's now almost August and they still have not provided the release of loan, so that I can get the title. I called and was told that it would take 15 days to receive. I called back after 15 days of not receiving anything. I was told that it would be resent, still nothing. I called again and was told that my previous request was rejected and was told just go to the DMV to get the title. I asked the representative why I was not contacted, she had no answer. She just kept saying that she was sorry. When I was late on a payment when I lost my job, they were blowing my phone up to receive payment. When I asked if they could assist because I had lost my job, they did nothing. If you are ever approved for a loan from Santander Consumer USA, don't take it.

Original review: July 19, 2021

I did not get the promotion Bonus of $225 for opening a Simply Right Check account. If I could give Santander a negative rating, I would do it. I open the account on-line at Santander website on 11/17/2020 during their promotion time. Santander offered a bonus of $225 for people to open a new Simply Right Checking with qualified activities such as direct deposit and Bonus will be paid in 90 days. Santander did NOT provide promotion code at their website and there was no entry to enter for the promotion code when open the account on-line. After 90 days, and I met their requirements, I called them in the begging of March, 2021 regarding to the bonus which I did not received yet. The representative told me I was supposed to received the Bonus and I had to wait until 3/18/2021. He did not mentioned promotion code.

In the begging of April, 2021, I called them again, The answer was unbelievable. The representative said;" the Bonus was denied because you did not put promotion code." I want to state again that they did not provide promotion code on the website during November 2020 to open the Simply Right Checking account. What's more terrible was he asked you to recall all the details 4 months when you open the bank account on-line to make you feel you made a mistake not to put a promotion code. Didn't Santander know how their website operating system worked? They must know it.

Santander did not keep their promise to give people Bonus. The promotion offer on-line WAS PHONY. Santander bank is a DISHONEST bank! Be careful and stay away! I also would like to say: For those who have a loan with Santander bank should look at your contract carefully in the begging when you apply for the loan, and do not let them play with you because this is a dishonest bank.

Original review: July 12, 2021

During these difficult days, we all are struggling but don't ask SC for help, they don't give a rip. I have been paying on my loan for over 3 years and over the last year, I have made my payments early and for more than the amount. If you ask for their help to try and make some changes to the interest rate or payments, the only options they have is get some other bank to pay it off. Even if you set up auto-pay, they won't even give you 0.05% off the interest payments and I am at 15.96% interest (I am getting nowhere fast). I would never recommend this company, nor will I ever use them in the future! NO HELP!

Original review: June 23, 2021

Went to Chrysler dealership to buy a used Challenger they was advertising. Spoke to salesmen in advance. Give him my credit info in advance. He said I qualified. When I got at the dealership he had a brand new Renegade waiting for me. Told me Renegade 0$ down 485 per month or 3000 down 579 per month for used Challenger. I fell for it the old bait and switch. When the Pandemic hit tried get rid of stupid Renegade. Big trouble. Had to voluntary turn it in at a big lost. If you go to the dealer looking for a used car Don't let them sell you a new one.

Original review: June 14, 2021

This bank think nothing of abandoning long standing customers and NOT offering any alternatives. I can't even close an account because you have to appear in person at a branch, and the closest branch is now 2+ hours away.

Original review: June 2, 2021

I don't even know where to begin. First my loan was predatory to begin with (and don't think I don't know about the multi governor lawsuit), but then 2 hours after I bought my car my home burned down. They helped none. A week after buying the car and 3 more times it broke down and I was charged hundreds...2 years later those issues are part of a dangerous recall and Kia is ignoring the fix because I can be part of the lawsuit endangering my life in the process. Then covid happens. I have lupus and was trapped home, my life at risk while they supposedly helped me by deferring payments at the 23% interest rate knowing I was desperate. I couldn't give up my car. I have lupus and have to make Dr appointments all month.

Now I find out EVERY SINGLE PAYMENT I HAVE EVER MADE was only applied toward interest. Not one bit for 2 years came off of my 17,000 I bought it at. I still owe 17000 plus and they want to say my payoff is 20,000 after getting 12,000 from me. YOU WILL BE SUED!!! Someone needs to stop this company. And why are you reporting I owe 20,000 on my credit when in my app where I make payments I owe 17,000???? I gave you $3000 recently. Where is that???

Original review: April 23, 2021

On March 27th, 2015 I started my car loan with Santander, Each 27th of a month I was charged 287.93$ for my car payment. All my payments paid on time with no late fees/issues. Since I open my bank account (2011), I DIDNT change any of my Banking information. All those years my payments received on time and I didn’t receive any call regarding payment issues from Santander.

On March 18th, 2021, I noticed that on my Santander online profile I have a late fee of 4.93$. I called Santander customer service and I was told that thanks to my payment history they will process a waiver to that fee and will charge the balance as they always did. On March 24th, 2021, I checked again my online profile to make sure the fee waived and noticed that fee again. I called Santander customer service, and I was told that the reason I saw the same amount again was because the manager views my file and waived the fee. I asked the representative what my balance, he replies 98.77$ and I authorized him to charge my account for the last payment, He congratulates me on my final payment and I understand it a done deal and my account is good.

On April 2nd, 2021, I received a call from a Santander representative that told me my car was towed, I asked him why the towing company called him if I paid my car in full, He replies that it's taking time to release their name as a lien holder (up to 30 days) and that’s the reason the towing company called him and not me. The morning after I released my car from the towing company and paid them in full.

On April 16th, 2021, I received an email that my credit score got decreased and when I logged in to my Credit Score account I saw a late fee with my car payment. I called Santander customer service to understand why (If I already authorized to charge my account for 98.77$) they report a late payment to the credit companies. The representative went over my history and told me that he can see that I always paid on time (Even in 2020 that I was unemployed) and there’s no manager in to take my call and to try again during the week.

On April 22nd, 2021 I called Santander and asked for a manager, Nicole answered me and told me as well that my history looks good, and then she transfers me to the executive manager (because she can’t help me with credit reports), I was waiting for 5-10 minutes, then Nicole got to the phone again and tried to push my complaint to another day or to wait 24-48 hours for a call back from them, I insist and asked to keep waiting and speak to executive manager, after 5-10 someone pick up the call and checked my file.. He said that because they (as a loan company) authorize to charge the same amount only (287.93$) and my balance was different from the amount above they couldn’t charge my account and this is why it became a late payment and that he cannot help me with my complaint.

Original review: April 17, 2021

First of all I have never heard of this company nor had any business dealings with this company and yet they say through a collection agency that I owe them 8k. This is a lie and false Accusations and they need to check their records.

Santander Consumer USA Company Information