3.42/5

Looking for a loan company?

1326 Santander Consumer USA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have read hundreds of the reviews left here and was afraid to take a loan from them as well but did and haven't had any problems thus far. I called customer service and they told me that I was 1 out of 100 individuals who seem to understand how the interest is applied so I figured I would provide an explanation. So for simple interest calculations you have to remember that it is calculated daily based off your APR and remaining principal. So for example if you were approved for a $20,000 loan at 25% APR, 60 months term with monthly payments of $587.03 then your daily interest would initially be the following: Daily interest = (APR/ 365 calendar days) * Remaining Principal = (25%/ 365 ) * $$20,000 = (.0685% ) *$20,000 = .000685 * $20,000 = $13.7 each day (which is freaking high but bad credit got us here) which would mean out of that $587.03 monthly payment, a whopping $417.85 would go towards interest ($13.7 * 30.5 average days in a month).

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO RECOGNIZE ESPECIALLY WITH THE VERY FIRST PAYMENT. If you elect to have your first payment not be due for 45 days (like I did) and only make the required monthly payment when due ( like I did ) you will be behind on the interest (like I was), but not late on the payment because... THE FINANCE CHARGES BEGIN THE DAY YOU SIGN THE FOR THE LOAN!!! Meaning that you will be charged 45 days worth of finance charges: Finance charge = Daily simple interest total since last payment = $13.7 * 45 days = $616.5. And if you only made the first payment (like I did) which is based on 30 days not 45, you can see how after making a monthly payment of $587.03 but owing a finance charge of $616.5 would leave you with a finance charge balance of $29.47. That's how they get you!!!! (Because now you have a balance you didn't even know you had.)

Because everything is applied to the interest first and whatever is remaining towards the principal, while the finance charge compounds daily between payments. I quickly realized this after my first payment, so I immediately made another payment and another one multiple days in a row to test it out. Sure enough my second payment included only the interest accrued from the few days of finance charges since my first payment and because I made my 3rd payment the very next day after my second, the finance charge was slightly less than $13.7 and the rest of my payment went towards principal.

If you never even pay late, only make the required monthly payments, but extended that very FIRST payment out past 30 days of when you signed the contract, guess what? YOU WILL NEVER PAY DOWN YOUR LOAN. YOU WILL BE BEHIND FROM DAY ONE. (That's what they are counting on.) PLEASE CALCULATE YOUR DAILY SIMPLY INTEREST!!! Figure out how much of your payment is going towards that and you will be fine. If you have to pay late just know that the interest doesn't stop so you need to know that when they say everything is applied to interest first, they mean it. (fees and interest get paid prior to principal balances). Think of it like this: Do I have a finance balance since my last payment? Do I have a late fee balance since my last payment? If one of these is yes know that your required monthly payment may not cover all outstanding balances, especially if you are early in the loan.

People trust me it works. I know it sucks but if you have the knowledge you will never be behind the eight ball. Now that I am aware of the way the finance charges work I have paid down sooo much of my principal in comparison to my interest. The more I pay down the lower my Daily simple interest becomes and the more my payments get applied towards principal ( and round and round it goes). Hope this review helps at least one person not feel like they are getting screwed because face it, they are in it to make money so they aren't going to tell you how to save it.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

So, due to all of poor reviews, I was petrified when Fifth Third sold my loan to this company. I was on edge the entire six years of my loan and I just knew the company would screw me, so I said I would write a review once I paid off the vehicle. In actuality, my experience was not bad! I did not get screwed over! Of course, my note was paid early each month and the car loan was paid off in full. There was never a late payment. My payments were reasonable - but I didn't have a crazy interest rate to begin with. I did not have to call customer service much, so I cannot speak to that. The only reason I had to call was to see where my title was. A few weeks later I was told that my local DMV had the E-Title on file. When I went to pick it up, it was there, as they said.

Santander gave me no problems. The only thing that annoyed me and the reason for only four stars is that I would repeatedly get emails saying the number on file was invalid. Not only did they have no reason to call, but the phone number on file was very much valid, as I've had the same number for over 15 years. The first time it happened, I called to make sure that no one was trying to reach me. They said that they hadn't called so they weren't sure why I got the email. After that, I just got the email and ignored it, but it was quite annoying to get it so regularly. Overall, my experience was the same as any other lender. I paid on time, they gave me no crap. I didn't have to wait lightyears for the title that was rightfully mine. I can't say that I would use them again, but I had a pretty reasonable experience overall. Minus the email thing, no complaints from me.

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I'm so used to writing reviews out of frustration, that it's refreshing to write a good one for once. The JDC dealership I purchased a little Fiat to use as a work car from is a bit of a different story, but the service received from Chrysler Capital financing is something I was very happy with. My experience was quite different than 99% of the reviewers on here. I never had any issues throughout the life of my loan, which was only about a year and a half, but I initially had to call them every month since I would pay additional principal that I had to have allocated correctly. They eventually changed that to where additional funds received automatically goes towards the principal, so I was pleased to see that they were trying to better the customer experience.

I paid the loan off about 2 months ago, and have called the dealership several times to cancel my GAP insurance and get that refund. I finally spoke to someone who told me that Chrysler Capital had already done this, and that the check was on its way. If you've ever tried to get a refund on Gap insurance, you know this is rare! For every other car I've ever paid off, you have to contact the dealership and jump through hoops to get your money back. Even the woman at the dealership was surprised by this. I appreciate anything that results in me having 1 less thing on my plate to worry about! Personally, I would recommend them for funding a loan, and I will certainly use them again if the need arises.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

After reading a few of the (mostly) negative reviews here I just had to chime in (as a satisfied SCUSA customer for almost 4 years now). It is apparent they all have a common theme... They didn't make their payments as agreed so they default and lose. It's life, in the USA if you sign a legal agreement, you are bound by it. Responsibility is key but most of these peeps just want to point the finger and blame others for their own problems. Speaking for myself, I have financed my car without any issues since purchasing in March of 2015 and Santander has been awesome, both online and on the phone whenever I seldomly called. Of course, I have responsibly paid on time every month, except one last year by a few days because of an issue with my pay.

In that instance, I promptly called them and explained my situation and they made note of it and were more than happy to flex a bit, which I was very grateful for. No rudeness or anything like that, very professional and personable. Of course I was respectful and courteous to them as well which I'm guessing a lot of these people posting these negative reviews were not when they communicated with SCUSA. You've gotta give respect to get respect people! Anyway, just wanted to post a 5 thumbs up because they deserve it based on my experience with them for the past few years. Nothing but a great experience from just a guy who is financing. Almost owning in a few months!... My baby Lex. Thanks for the awesome service Santander! Don't let the irresponsible lowlifes get you down!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Ok, to start - this entire deal was my fault. My loan was sold to Santander by Toyota Financial and I had no idea, I disregarded phone calls and emails - so it's my fault that I didn't know. To make a long story short I unknowingly fell 86 days behind on my payment. At about 11:30 PM a tow truck showed up at my house and took my truck. I was devastated. It was on a Friday night so everything was closed on the weekend, so I had plenty of time to think about my vehicle being gone. I read the reviews and thought the ABSOLUTE worse. I called Monday morning and was in touch with Santander Reinstatement team. They were straightforward and to the point. They told me we need "X" amount for you to get your vehicle back.

It had to be off a debit card or Western Union Wire - It was basically my overdue payments. They told me they would help me out and defer 2 payments - which I gladly accepted and it dropped the amount owed considerably. (I thought that was awesome.) I paid the amount over the phone and they sent the release to the towing company. The towing company couldn't release the vehicle until Wednesday because of their hours of operation, but I showed up early that morning and got it - no problem.

OK THIS IS IMPORTANT - I was told that all of the transactions for repo were computer generated through Santander. If you don't call them ASAP and try and straighten things out there's a GREAT chance your vehicle is going to auction - which is **. I received ZERO notice of sale that I thought was required by law - I was told that my truck was headed to an auction in Dallas on Wednesday. THEY DO NO MESS AROUND - Santander was actually really good working with me, but I had the money to cover my payments, not sure what would have happened if I didn't - so I don't guess I felt their full wrath. To be honest the people I spoke with at Santander were extremely nice and seemed to genuinely want me to get my vehicle back.

I'm currently waiting on Toyota Financial to recover the 4 months of payments that I sent them that obviously landed in a vacuum somewhere haha! Just wanted to share my experience - losing your vehicle sucks man, especially when it's a 46K truck - and to have the towing company come to my house and take it, it just made me more angry - especially after I asked if I could back it out of the garage and they said "No this truck is our property now." That stung. Lesson learned - always answer phone calls/mail and stuff - although it would have been nice to get a certified letter or something so I'd known for sure.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: May 18, 2019

Made extra payments of $200 each month and they placed that money into a hold account saying I couldn't exceed one payment. My car payment is $500 a month and I had $2000 in their "holding account". I lost my debit card so I called up with my new card to make an one time payment. Representative took my payment and gave me a confirmation number.

A few weeks go by and I check my account and don't see a withdraw so I call them back explaining I spoke to someone and had a confirmation number. They don't me they didn't collect the payment and the confirmation number wasn't accurate. "They also couldn't find the recording in which I provided the date and time of payment". I get a notice on my credit that they marked and reported me late even though they where holding an extra $2000 of my money and only app, used it to interest and not for additional payments. Trading my car in soon to get a new bank. Don't go with Santander. They damage your credit intentionally so you can't get out of your loan and are stuck paying high interest. Santander is a fraudulent bank.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Santander Consumer USA has provided me with outstanding customer care and financial services, they financed my Hyundai for a total of 20k when I was a temp and could not get another bank's loan. My credit rating was poor due to inquiries and high balances on my credit cards. They approved me. No income questions asked, assuming all risks, and even though they gave my a rate of 21%. Do you think that is high? Think again. Finance companies like United Finance and OneMain Financial will charge you 36% interest rate so it gets me when people say Santander is bad. It really gets me how unfair those folks are. If you want better rates be responsible, pay in full and have no collections, stop complaining for everything, be an adult.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Dealing with this bank is hell. They lie. Their practices are illegal, immoral and unethical. Prior to mom's passing - I had a POA. It took me over 7 hours to get them to acknowledge it. Literally, beyond 5 hours of phone calls - I had to fly to the Boston area from Orlando to get that done. Now mom passed recently. Her checking account implies there is another account - but - they won't tell me if there is or isn't - because the POA ends on the day of death. It was illegal not to give me that information during the time she was alive. I'm going through SANTANDER HELL!!!!

Original review: April 26, 2019

Where do I start? I have had a car loan with Santander Consumer USA since 2012. Paid it on time, for the past 5 1/2 years to ensure my credit remains good. I have actually stopped driving the car 2 years ago and had it in a parking, yet I kept paying it to avoid letting it mess up my credit score. Last summer I had a family emergency and had to leave the country, and in the process missed a payment on time.

When I went online, while out of the country, I was blocked from access so I could not remit payments until I returned to the the US. When I arrived I called them but it was too late ... They had signaled a late payment to the credit bureaus and dropped my score of almost 100 points. I sent them a letter explaining the situation and asking for them to pardon the late payment and remove it from my credit as I have paid on time for 5 years already but they refused to do anything. Last month I made what I thought was my last payment ... and again they sent a late payment notice to the credit bureaus, when I called to ask why, apparently there was $7 that I did not pay. $7 at the end of my loan and they send it to the credit bureau. This obviously a company of cretins.

Now that my car has been paid off over a month ago, via debit card as they wanted to be sure the last payment will be immediately debited, I still do not have my car's title. They knew I planned on selling the car, but still made me pay that famous $7 to finish off the car and now a dealer cannot buy it off, instead I must wait for the lien. I called a few times, and every time the release date changes. Last call, they claimed the lien has been released but now ... Again they keep my property hostage, as even with the lien being released, I must wait for a letter to arrive stating that the lien has been released. That letter will take 10 days. Today has been 10 days since that letter was supposedly sent" and still nothing. This is obviously a company that does not care. Get your loans from anyone else, even a loan shark would be more decent than Santander.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I went with Santander because each year I could pay my escrow shortage in cash and any money I had extra could/would go to lowering monthly mortgage payment. This year same as always I go to pay it And they say, “Oh we’re not doing that anymore!!!” I have reached out to all dept with zero help. I wanted the issue escalated they wouldn't do it!!! They have worst customer service ever. Look up lawsuits on them I found 2 class action suits And multiple others. I am so sorry I chose them for my biggest decision in life. Shouldn’t I have been grandfathered in and allowed to continue. Does anyone know who governs bank mortgages so I can turn these morons in? Please help.

Original review: April 24, 2019

They would not change my due date when I stopped working. I was told they only for change it once. So now I was behind and had to play catch up. I was told that I had 10 days after the due date before I would be considered as being late. Anyway they told me a lie. I have been paying these people 5 years for a used car. They have taken enough of my money. When my husband said, "You should have been through paying for that car," that was my confirmation. They will not get another dime from me and they can come and get the car. I will take the bus. Santander USA are crooks.

Original review: April 20, 2019

This bank doesn’t even deserve 1 star. They have allowed a new employee in their CHELTENHAM, PA branch screw up my daughter’s business account and now while covering up what they did, they are making her wait for the error to be fixed. She deposited a large check from a client and then the check was withdrawn from her account not because the check was bad but because the new employee didn’t put it through the right system. She was told to by the bank to get her client to void the check and issue a new one. They put a hold on the new check leaving her in the negative because of an error they admitted making.

Now they are making her wait and it’s been over a week since they made the mistake that caused her to be in the negative. She made several calls and went to the bank several times which for some strange reason some calls were not noted and nothing has been fixed!!! The BRANCH MANAGER, THE EMPLOYEE and THE DISTRICT MANAGER ALL NEED TO BE FIRED!!!! This is being reported and an investigation into their banking practices at that BRANCH need to be conducted so this doesn’t happen to another Customer!!!!

Original review: April 19, 2019

I cannot believe I just spent over 2 hrs online with my bank, and on the phone with Chrysler Capital payment center! Now I know that some of the reviews on Chrysler Capital are true! So, I see that my first payment due is for May 4th. No problem. I want to make a payment now rather than wait till then. Let's get the payment out early for the first payment on this loan. So, I go onto their site where my information is, and I choose the debit card payment selection. I put in the amount of the payment and submit it. Pretty basic right? I get a response that my debit card had been declined! I was baffled by this so I go onto my bank's website and go into a customer service chat.

After a long chat about my checking account, balances, is my card good? Am I authorized to make my payment amount? All was a yes! They told me that there is no reason why my card should be declined! Ok. So, I go back on the Chrysler Capital website and try it again. "DECLINED" once again! So I decided to change the amount to a lower amount. 200. Goes through. I go back and try that amount again, message pops up and says: duplicate amount. So I go back and I change it to 100. It goes through. I go back to change the amount again and resubmit thinking, "Wow, I guess I will just have to nickel and dime this thing. Tell all the payment balance is paid in full." Nope. DECLINED.... Now I am confused and call Chrysler Capital knowing that it is not my bank's fault.

The rep tells me that she does see the two payments and after I explained to her what her system was doing she tells me that they have been having problems with their system lately and apologized. She waived the fees for paying on the phone and attempted to make the payment balance. NOPE, system told her that I've exceeded my daily limit! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? She tells me that she has never seen this before. Now I am remembering all the reviews I read on this company in regards to payments and kicking myself for going with this company on my car loan! She transfers me to a supervisor who took down what had happened and offered to ACH free of charge set up for tomorrow. So, back online I go to get my account info and routing number to my bank account.

After another 30 minutes dealing with that, I get it and then get back on the phone with Chrysler Capital and give him the information. Again, NOPE. can't do it because of these two other transactions I made! SERIOUSLY? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? What loan company does this? It's like they don't want your money, they just want your car is what this ordeal made me feel like. He said to call them back tomorrow and they will take the debit over the phone free of charge. I asked him if it would go through at that time? Yes, definitely! I am not so sure about that but I will try it once again tomorrow!

This is not a convenient or fair system. I have never dealt with such a disorganized company like this where even ACH and or debit card payments was an issue. Most loan companies are simple and convenient even the ones that aren't are better than this. It seems like they have roadblocks all over the place preventing their customers from making payments.

I hope they fix this problem. I do not want to go through this for the next 48 months with them. I might have to refinance this car in 6 months if I have to deal with this every month. I hope my review will help you plan ahead when financing your vehicle with this company. If you do plan to use this company, make sure you have at least 3 hrs of spare time to sit down and fight to get your first payment in! Or better yet, Just mail your check to them. I don't know anyone who uses checks to make a payment anymore. To me that is not only inconvenient, but it's an outdated way of paying bills and I've heard of people doing that method and then this company mysteriously loses their check and it's back to square one again. But at that point, you could be late on your payment and you're just deeper in interest and trouble.

Original review: April 17, 2019

First let me say this, I never gave a review on anything but I had to on this. Maybe it will help someone. I was with Santander for 5 years, things got rough and I ended up 2 months behind on my truck. I started doing better so I ended up 1 month behind. 1 year left to pay off my truck and they towed my truck!!!! I was unable to reinstate my vehicle!! They got their money from the truck and did care about anyone else. I was told to pay off 18k or refinance it. That was the only way I could get it back!! That really hurt me. My wife had just had a baby and I had to Uber around. They wouldn't even give me my toolbox off my TRUCK!! TRUST ME DON'T USE THESE PEOPLE. THEY ARE DEVILS!!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

For the record, signing the paperwork for this Auto loan was by far the worst decision of my life. But I made it. No one forced me to make it. So please know that I DO feel for everyone here... Worst decision of my life thus far made at 24 years old; I'm now 29. Also, I am on payment number 50. I put down 5 grand for a used $24,407 Ford Edge right after college (graduated in 2014) but had zero credit (not good/bad but just zero and 5 grand); this was the only bank that would approve me. I honestly didn't even pay attention to the paperwork I signed (MISTAKE #1). I was so excited to be working, making money, and to be able to make a purchase like this.

I'm here 4.5 years later still paying my monthly payments of $548.61 (I'll never forget this number for as long as I live haha), and I still owe $11,925/$24,407... My parents have always asked, "Aren't you almost done paying that thing OFF (the most they'd ever heard of was a 5 year auto loan)!?!?" I knew I wasn't, because I knew how much the Santander site said I still owed. But this was all I knew; I never looked into the real numbers on this thing. But I just recently decided to not be ignorant anymore...

A little too late unfortunately!!! I bought it at 44,000 miles, and it now has 152,000 miles (a lot of miles to put on in 4.5 years, I realize this), regardless, I have put in at least ~$15,000 over the years in repairs; I've practically rebuilt the thing except for the engine. The most recent mechanical issue is looking like there's no way around it. This thing is looking like it's DONE... and I'm $11 grand in the hole... Worst decision of my life. But, nothing Santander is doing is illegal; "Bob from San Diego" below gave the recipe to calculate the way Santander portions their principal vs interest percentages:

"... For simple interest calculations you have to remember that it is calculated daily based off your APR and remaining principal. So for example if you were approved for a $20,000 loan at 25% APR, 60 months term with monthly payments of $587.03 then your daily interest would initially be the following: Daily interest = (APR/ 365 calendar days) * Remaining Principal = (25%/ 365 ) * $$20,000 = (.0685% ) *$20,000 = .000685 * $20,000 = $13.7 each day (which is freaking high but bad credit got us here) which would mean out of that $587.03 monthly payment, a whopping $417.85 would go towards interest ($13.7 * 30.5 average days in a month)." I legitimately applied this to equation to about ~10/50 payments... all spot on. If only I could have had someone tell me... "pay it off quicker". Something. I do take full responsibility... but man. This is just the world we live in, I guess.

Original review: April 12, 2019

When I signed I knew to call to ask if my first payment was prorated (essentially two payments due your first month). I was given an emphatic no. Surprise, it was. I was given no help regarding it and no memos were left in my account stating I was told otherwise. Since then I've been playing catch up with my car payment and they are adding interest to the point I am likely to never finish paying this thing off.

Here we are today. I had attempted twice to make my payment via their free service which uses your checking account. They wait up to 9 business days to pull from your account. Which is simply ridiculous. By the time they pull it is returned reason stating, insufficient funds. Which is fine, if that were the case. However there my money sits awaiting it's home in Santander Extortion USA's pockets. So I processed another payment, same story. To avoid being repo'd I processed an instant payment via my debit card with processing fee and tah-dah. It went through.

Now 3 weeks later, on my payday they pull the original payment amounts as a duplicate payment. I called day of and was told no payment was processed. Then checked my bank account assuming my check was still processing and upon inspection I see that both my check AND the retry payment went through. So I called back and was not apologized to for the misinformation, and was told to get bent in regards to reversing this payment. "Since you processed two payments we will not be reversing either" - Rep with strong European accent.

Now I am disputing with my bank and have to wait weeks for them to *maybe* refund my charge while my other bills turn late as an effect. As someone who works in billing, I don't understand how this even makes sense to them. Also the pamphlet they sent out with a website to make payment is no longer in their control and is a scam site seeking unsuspecting person's credit card info. A frightening oversight though unsurprising when you deal with them.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Same story for me as the others. I paid my note in full and they say I still owe $6700 and change. We need a class action lawsuit! I have been this mad in 15 years! Had I known this was the deal I would have bought a freakin' bicycle!

Original review: March 31, 2019

I got a car loan from them for about 15000. A 2010 Impala. The car was worth probably half of what I borrowed. Had the car for almost 5 years. Even though I was making payments every month, they were applying that to interest-only. Every time I call to find out what the balance was Thomas the representatives would never tell me. Finally ONE honest rep told me what they were applying the payments to. So they collected over $10,000 from me over the five years. The car eventually died. The repairs were almost $3,000. So I told them to pick the car up.

They did not want to pick it up. So the mechanic ended up keeping the car. I just got a letter from them yesterday saying that I still owe them $17,000, but they'll settle for 12. Even though they already collected 10. I don't understand what kind of settlement that is. I understand paying the rest of the loan out as far as the other five. But to pay to them another 15 on top of the ten they already collected is criminal. They are horrible.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My husband and I got a loan through them because we needed a larger car due to a baby on the way. We had numerous issues with them. Once THEY lost my payment. Even though we proved it. They said they were still going report it against our credit because the other department hadn't updated the computer. They also tried to claim we had to pay again. My husband and I ended up getting divorced a short time later. I voluntarily surrendered the car because I couldn't maintain the payments on my own. I owed about $7600 on it. They sold it and I still owed a little over $2000. It was turned over to collections. I arranged automatic payments to pay off the amount we settled on. I paid it off. That was over 3 years ago. Now my ex-husband is starting to get calls and mail claiming he owes over $7000 to Santander for that same car! They are crooks!

Original review: March 28, 2019

After making my March payment of 302.78, something told me to see what my pay off was, so I hit the button on the automated system to see how much I got left on my car payments. It said 10,297 and some change. How could that be when I have been paying for 2 yrs. My loan was for 11,000 and something. Ok, so I began to do some research on Santander USA and found all these review that was not good, how they were doing the same thing to me. So I came across one review that explains how they operate then you can make the right decision for you. This is how Santander gets you, whatever your loan for your car plus the interest then your car is paid off, but Santander gets the interest first out of your payment.

Here is an example: My payment each month is 302.78, my interest is 6.29 every day for 30 days, so 6.29x30=188.70, that 188.70 comes out of your month payment of 302.78. That's why you're not seeing your balance drop. Ruby stated that where you bought your car they are suppose to explain how this works, but of course for me they said nothing making me think that all I have to pay is 11,000 back when in reality you're paying 11,000 + 10,000=21,000 to pay off your car. Why did the car dealership screw you like that? Because Santander already paid them off. That was the 11,000 for the car, but you the customer has to pay back Santander the 11,000 + 10,000 in interest because they are charging you every day for 30 days in a month.

So if you want to Know how much Santander USA is charging you every day call them and ask them how much and times that by 30. Now you know how much of your phone payment is going towards interest and how much is going towards principal which is to get your car paid off. I hope this helps some body to understand why you're not seeing your balance drop. So if you pay to the 30 days of interest which is 188.70 + your monthly car payments of 302.78 then you will begin to see your total balance come down, by then the total cost of your car will be 21,000 dollars.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I bought a vehicle the end of 2012 and had a loan with Santander Consumer USA. My loan was for 72 months, which was up the end of 2018. I made all of my payments and had a few mishaps but got caught up with the payments. Early this year they came a repossess my vehicle telling me I still owe $9000. When earlier July of 2018 I was up to date with my payments.

In order for me to get my vehicle back they told me I need to pay the full amount I owe, which I could not afford and I lost my vehicle. Now they telling me I still owe them $1600. Worst bank to get an auto loan from. I will never take another loan from them, and I don't recommend anyone to either. They claim they take the interest out 1st but lies, every payment the interest seem to get more and more, they claim I build but $9000 in interest and fees.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Can't get back an overpayment of $360. What a horrid excuse of a company. Stay away. After my van was totaled, it has been nigh impossible to get an overpayment for these people. 4 phone calls, and hours of time wasted, no dice. Awful company.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I used them to pay for a car back in 2013. The car was a lemon and I had to do numerous repairs on it and finally got behind on my payments and they repossessed it along with my clothes and briefcase with very important items in it along with my 2 firearms which none were ever returned to me. I wish I could file a lawsuit against them. I can't get another car because they are still on my credit report.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I bought a GAP insurance through Santander back in 2014, My car suffered a total loss in June 20, 2018... We are now March 18, 2019 and SANTANDER has done NOTHING but say I never bought GAP through them! I have countless withdrawals from them every month where they would deduct my monthly GAP PAYMENT. They are blaming a "3rd party" company now and say they never sold me GAP... Apparently they have "no record" of my payments YET I HAVE ALL MY BANK STATEMENTS and the LETTER coming from them in which they offer me the GAP insurance. They have demolished my credit score because they still continued to charge me my monthly car bills even though it was considered a total loss and THEY took my car! I lost a vehicle, I lost my good credit score and have lost thousands of dollars because of this company! STAY AWAY FROM THEM! RUN!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I was in the process of refinancing my house when unfortunately I could not continue. The mortgage specialist I was working with told me up front...if certain thing did not meet my expectations he would refund the fee that I paid. When I was not able to continue the loan I asked if the fee would still be refunded and he said, "Let me see if I can get this back for you." He made no agreement to give it back but it sounded like he was going to see if he could. I waited a week then 2 then 3 then I emailed then I emailed again then again. At this point I still have not heard anything back... Just another mortgage person working for a bank that could not care less if he is not making any money. I just want you to know I will not recommend this bank to anyone or your mortgage rep to anyone ever!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I bought a car that is financed by Chrysler Capital over 5 years ago. The original sale price was $17,000. I've paid $22,000 and still owe $7,500. The only reason the payoff is that cheap is because I've been paying as much extra as I can every month. The interest rate is 17%!!! That is insane. I was very young, no credit and no idea what I was doing. This is my own fault and lesson definitely learned. However, Chrysler Capital knows exactly what they are doing to people. They refused to refinance it. Even after 2 years and my credit was over a 100 points higher. They are nothing short of thieves.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have been with Santander Consumer for 4 months now, I just got a Ford Fusion. I have paid for payments so far at least 20 day before the due date and it looks like every other month they take out more in interest every other month and less principal. And every time I ask them about they have a different excuse. They can't give you a straight, can't wait for the wall to be, because I promise you one thing - this speck's ** will be strapped to a rocket!

Original review: March 15, 2019

Anthony ** located in Mesa Arizona has been really good about working with me on my payments. Thank you very much. I greatly thank you. You are the best. Thank you for explaining how things work with payment.

Original review: March 15, 2019

My girlfriend got her first car and this is the only bank the dealership offered so she went with them. They didn’t contact her and tell her where to call or send money to for her payments. So when she got ahold of them they told her she was two months behind. We caught those up. My girlfriend had a miscarriage a little later which affected our paycheck and we got 2 months behind and a 100 dollars from a partial payment behind. She called them and told them she had the miscarriage and she would be late and the lady told her to make the partial and that would be okay. The day before we got paid to catch up the payments they sent someone to repo it and took the car. When my girlfriend called them to see why they did that the lady treated her like absolute **. She told us we were over 1500 behind after the total we were behind was 750. So it went up from 750 to 1500 because of “late fees.”

My girlfriend explained to them that she talked to someone about it and explained the miscarriage and the hospitalization and the woman told her “that’s no excuse to be late on a payment” and proceeded to ask her every detail of every check she received since she got the loan. This is none of her business. She told us there is no way she could give us an extension or anything even though we were gonna catch the payment up and were told that was okay by another employee. This bank treated us horrible and showed no humanity whatsoever. My final words to this loan place and the lady my girlfriend talked to is ** you.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Customer service is ALLOWED to provide misinformation to its customers only to find out you were misinformed down the line and to be told there's nothing they will do for you. I've had a contract for 3 years now. Once have I paid a day late in 37 payments yet I was told anything outside of my normal payment amount goes to interest. This wasn't true and it was applied to interest. The Executive Office is a joke and Steven ** wasn't at all helpful and wouldn't provide me with a manager stating he's the highest possible person I can talk to! How's that if you don't own the company and you're not at corporate? Extremely dissatisfied b Santander's customer service...or lack thereof I should say.

Santander Consumer USA Company Information