Santander Consumer USA

Compare Loan Companies

Research top Loan Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

First of all, I did not know Chrysler Capital treats its military veterans like crap. I bought a 2010 Chevy Malibu at $22000.00 because a friend said it was worth it. I was making all my regular payments until I had a 2 1/2 ton truck roll over my legs and I could not perform my job duties. I fell on hard times and applied for bankruptcy. Worse thing I ever did. For 6 months I was on /off from work so bankruptcy had to end. As soon as the bankruptcy ended they repo the car because they wanted me to pay almost $3000.in two weeks.

Never in my lifetime had I ever had to tell my baby daughter that they wanted me to pay for her clothes that was left in the car. My daughter has to go to school with some old clothes and shoes because I didn't have any money to pay for it. I'm a 25 year military veteran with combat and it's a disgrace to say that our money bail them out when the economy was bad and they treat us like that. I should have stayed with Ford. I learned my lesson and when I get back up on my feet, in my family we will never have a Chrysler vehicle parked in the garage or or on the yard.

I have a debit card that I use regularly. I had to dispute a charge from a company because the item I ordered online was not received. My first and only dispute on my debit card in the 7 years I have been using it. My claim was denied (like a $50 purchase)... No doubt if I had used my Capital One or Chase freedom card... there would have been no problem... I'm changing banks. Bye Sovereign Santander and whatever you will be next Monday.

We decided to pay down our HELOC. We then received a notice stating the payment would be deducted. So I went into my branch and was told that was because the statement was for a time period outside of the time frame that I paid down the HELOC. Well, Santander then took out the payment. I called and was told that the payment was sitting in the overpayment bin and they would transfer it back in 1 to 3 business days. They stole my money. Now they get to use it for the time period that they stole it. I hope to speak to a regional manager tomorrow. If not satisfied then I hit the banking commission and pull money out to some other place.

I have never been so dissatisfied with a company enough to create an account with ConsumerAffairs and write a review but here I am. Chrysler Capital is the absolute worst place you can get an auto loan. There is no grace period with them at all. So say your payment is due Monday but you don't get paid until the following Thursday you will get charged $10 a day until it's paid. Also they will harass you every day you're late no matter how many times you explain why you haven't paid yet. They will not work with you. They will not change your due date. IF YOU'RE GOING TO GET A LOAN GO THROUGH A REPUTABLE BANK OR CREDIT UNION. Last month I traded in my truck and the payoff was sent to Chrysler Capital the 16th they are still calling me, harassing me, threatening my credit. Ridiculous company. I am dissatisfied. Disgusted. Boo Chrysler Capital and boo Larry H. Miller for using them.

This company is horrible. Purchased a vehicle on 7/20/16 and 10/10/10 we were hit from Hurricane Matthew. Called them and let them know that about the claim w/ insurance co and that flood water got into the engine and inside. Also have Gap Insurance. As soon as I was told that Progressive did in fact total it out, I called them and told them every 4-5 days I called my insurance co for updates and soon as I hung up with them, I called Santander to keep them informed.

I have emailed them every copy of correspondence from insurance companies as I received them. I did pay a payment of $200 in the interim because they said they'd place a late on my credit if I didn't. Today, I get a nasty letter from legal saying they are going to enforce the right to cure and that I'm in default, will also go after me for their attorney fees, even though they have received every penny from both insurance companies, paying the pay off in FULL and owe me the refund of the $200 overage from my 11/20 payment. Steer clear! They stated that IF I am due the $200 after all payments from ins co's, it will take 45 days, if they determine it is an overage. Entire payoff has been received by them, not including my $200. Awful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

To start off they have EXTREMELY HIGH interest rates, but because of the situation I was in at the time I needed a car immediately. I've never been late in my car note, never missed a payment but Anytime I call in to address an issue with my account balance, which is EVERY MONTH, most of the representatives are extremely rude even one of the Account managers I spoke with named Juan.

I also had an accident OVER A MONTH AGO and because Chrysler Capital won't release the check to the body shop I have yet to receive my vehicle. I've called almost everyday for the past two months and every time there's paperwork missing or an issue with them having to verify the body shop I have taken my car to, which by the way is a CERTIFIED and reputable local shop in my city. This man has sent his business ID number from the IRS and EVERYTHING all because they want me to go to one of the expensive shops they recommend. They don't bother to contact me letting me know when they are missing documents. I even had to call them before I mailed the check to them because I didn't know why they were holding it! I've had it with this sorry company!

I purchased a 2008 Ford Fusion from my local dealership 29 months ago. My loan was through Santander. This is the worse company ever. My car was $9000. My interest for the 60 month loan was $8000 which made my total $17000. Within the 29 months I've only been late 5 times due to the loss of my job. This company would call on a daily basis over and over no matter how many people I talk to and explained my situation they still continued the call. A week ago my car got totaled and I called them to find out how much my payoff would be for my insurance company.

Well clearly they are trying to screw me over they are saying my payoff is over $9000 which is more than my car even cost and I had already paid them over $8700. I ask why do I owe so much. The rep told me "Well you have late fees and you have accrued interest on this loan." I said "But my interest was only $8000 for the full term of the loan. 60 months and my insurance company is going to pay the value of my car which is almost $5000." Santander then said "Well when is your insurance paying us and if it doesn't cover your payoff when are you making a payment?" I said "Really my car is totaled, my wife nor I can get to work and you are worried about when I'm gonna make a payment."

I have had enough with the rude man so I hung up. I'm not sure what to do. This is gonna ruin my credit after my insurance pays them. I will still owe a balance of over $4000 and they refused to only take their interest for the 29 months they want the full term amount plus sum. Any info on what I should do will be greatly appreciated.

Me and my husband purchasable 2008 Dodge Charger in September of 2008. The original loan was with Chrysler Corp. Santander eventually took over the loan. In January of this year (2016), my husband stopped making payments on the car. He did not let me know this until March when we received a letter from Santander. I immediately got on the phone and called Santander what I needed to do. Over the next few days I talked to several of Santander's representatives. Each time I got a different response on what I needed to do. I was finally told they would send me paper to do a readjustment. I was told to send my payment via MoneyGram which cost me 10 to 15 dollars every month (the fee had gone up from when I started making my payments from April to November of 2016).

The problem with this company is they have representatives that does not speak English, therefore it is hard to understand them. When I talked to anyone of "their" representatives about the readjustment, I was told to pay a certain amount on a specific day and to wire the payment. I was told to do this from April until November. None of "their" representatives ever told me that I would have a balance of late fees (supposedly during the life of the loan). I have tried talking to several of "their" management about this situation. That I was never told that my car would not be paid off in November like I was led to believe.

I want to know how this company can do business like this. This has to be the most dishonest company I have ever dealt with. I am not a prejudiced person, but when I am doing business (especially when it concerns my money), I want a person that can speak English (as in my case) that I understand them and they understand me.

I have paid my car loan on time for over four years. With the exception of TWO payments, which I made deferments for with Santander. A deferment is not a late payment by very definition of the word. So fast forward, Santander waited about three years after the deferments were made to update my credit report with 60+ days late TWICE. This means the house my family and I were going to purchase is a no go due to how awful it affected my credit score. The first guy I spoke to said they won't remove it from my credit report. The second guy gave me completely opposite information, including a department that handles those issues. I keep sending letters but nobody ever replies and calling or chat doesn't help either. The information given is NEVER the same twice.

Santander has single-handedly destroyed my opportunity at home ownership. I don't understand how what they did was legal, because it certainly doesn't seem legal or beneficial in any way for either of us. There's absolutely no benefit in continuing to pay my car loan anymore. I would have paid it until the bitter end had they not destroyed my credit pointlessly. Go to a "buy here, pay here" place and save yourself tens of thousands of dollars instead.

Also, the value of my car is about $8,000. After paying almost $600 a month for FOUR years, I still owe $20,000 until my car loan will be paid off. Which is nearly the exact same amount I owed four years ago. Do the math. I've paid Santander $28,800 for a car that was only worth $18k to begin with and I somehow still owe $20k, meaning I'm paying FIFTY GRAND for a car worth less than TWENTY. They call it 26% interest, but that's certainly not accurate either when you do the math. Seriously, make a deal with Satan before you make a deal with Santander. You couldn't possibly fare any worse.

I had a car loan through this company that was paid off in 2012. We never received a lien release letter or clear title to this vehicle. They said they mailed one out but we never received it. Time went on and we forgot about the fact that the only title we had has a lien on it. When we tried to sell the car in 2016 we went to the DMV to get a clear title but they still had the one with the lien on it. Called Santander in to request another title and was told we have to go through a 3rd party vendor to handle lien release requests which costs extra money for them to contact Santander to get a release of lien letter. This is ridiculous... Don't ever get a loan from this company.

You will get robbed like no tomorrow... Santander is the worst banking scam out there if you get a car loan from them. They will tell you they did not get the payment and then some so they can ** you with the interest and charged you all the fees they can, they did that to me multiple times and they suck. I set up my bank with the bill-pay automatically making the payments every month and every other month they would say that they did not get the payment and they would increase my interest even though my bank gave me and Santander the proof that the payments were made but Santander would reject the payment on purpose so they can add the fees and ** me and you if you have a loan with them... STAY AWAY FROM SANTANDER CONSUMER USA.

I have 3 accounts with Santander Bank with over $100,000 balance with this bank. They have been charging me a $3.00 per month "paper statement" fee over the past few months without any notification of the fee. I called our local branch and was told the bank sent out a letter informing of the $3.00 fee. I called Santander's customer service line and they said they could do nothing to eliminate the $3.00 per month fee and would not refund the fee paid so far. I have an online account with this bank and do not need the paper statement and have since cancelled this service. However, I feel the nickel and diming of this bank is a clear message to me to look for another bank considering they would not refund the fee for the past few months. I'll find another bank as it's clean - that's what their customer service rep would like me to do. Been a customer for many years (over 50 years with this bank). Time to move on!

I have a leased vehicle through Chrysler Capital. I recently moved out of state and need to register a new license plate. In order to do that I need a power of attorney from my lien holder in order to do that. When I originally called, Chrysler said I would have it in 48 hours. I am now going on 21 days. After 3 more calls, they claim they are a big corporation and I need to be patient. This is a very routine procedure. They have no trouble collecting my new state's usage tax, even though I legally can't drive my vehicle. This is yet another factor as to why I will never own a Chrysler product again.

My account is due on the 25th of each month. The statement they mail me says dated the 5th of each month. It takes 8-12 days to hit my mail box. Which gives me only 8-10 days to get my payment to them before they start calling. For me it's even worst as I travel a lot and usually only check my mail on the weekend. So as you could only imagine it's always late and they are always calling. Every other company that sends me a bill it arrives 15-20 days before it's due. Isn't there a law against what they are doing. They just do it so they can charge you a late fee...

I financed my SUV with Santander. One of the first things I did was set up my online account, so I could regularly review my account and conveniently pay online. I stopped paying online because they charge about a $11 "convenience" fee. The only way to make a payment without paying a fee is by a check in the mail. Well, one day I went to login into my account, which I had previously no problem getting into, I could not access my account. I used the correct username and password. I tried the forgot password process. I never received an email for a new one.

Each time I tried to login, the website says my account doesn't exist. I tried to make a new online account and it says there is already an account with that information. I have called them numerous times to gain access to my account. Each time they either send me an email with a new password that never shows up or they put in a ticket to their IT department. It's been over two months and I still can't login into my account.

This is the worst car loan experience ever had. The worst customer service. They are very sneaky and they will try their best to get as much money from you as they can. Horrible experience not recommend it.

This company is blood sucking money hungry. They will keep taking your money but want nothing to do with helping you. My original car loan was for $11,000.00. I have paid over $25,000 so far and they want nothing to do with helping to pay your debt down. They are not negotiable. They are an international company from Spain. How the American government allows this I have no idea. They will take and take as long as you allow it. Don't go with this company for a car loan. They will not work with you but will continue to suck your money, and will add on interest and late fees unrightfully. They are schemers. You have been warned.

I moved from Kentucky to Florida in March of 2013. I was going through a divorce and just wanted to start over. In my first month of living in Florida, I got into a wreck that totaled my car. I didn't have anyone to help me, and I needed a car quickly. I had a rental for a few days so I needed to find a new car fast. I found a car that I loved, a 2008 VW Eos. My credit wasn't great from my divorce and some bad decisions I made in college with credit cards. When the dealership mentioned Santander was the only company that would offer me a loan, I had to take it. I needed the car to get to work and I didn't have much of a choice. My interest rate was insanely high (16%) but I felt like I had no other options. My monthly payment was $320 a month, even though I put down several thousand from my totaled vehicle. I felt trapped. Santander never took care of me, I always felt like I was being penalized.

I am a retail manager, so sometimes it was hard to make payments. I got tons of fees for paying late so I asked for an extension in November 2015. They granted it to me, but then I was slammed with a bill in the middle of Christmas and was basically threatened when I told them I couldn't pay it on time. I tried to go through a company to refinance my loan. They said I was too "upside down" on my loan to be refinanced. In the meantime, my car was losing value, it's eight years old at this point and Santander informed me that I still owe 10,230 dollars on this car that isn't even worth 5,000 dollars!!! In October, I paid 350 dollars on my car. I had fallen behind earlier in the year and asked for another extension, they told me that I could do that but then I never heard anything again.

For an unrelated reason, I have recently had to take a medical leave from work. I went out yesterday to get into my car, and I'm standing in my driveway looking at an empty spot where my car used to sit. There are drag marks in my driveway, tire marks through mine and my neighbor's lawn, and no sign of my car. I started sobbing and called the police. They asked if it was possible that it had been repossessed. I said no, I had just made a payment! When I called Santander, they said they had repossessed it and they had called me several times to let me know.

I can put my hand on a bible and swear on the life of my own mother that I did not receive a call from them, no letters, no voicemails to indicated that they were going to take my car away this month. They offered to give it back to me for $590 dollars, and to give me a two month extension. I told them to shove it, they have screwed me on that car since day one and now my credit is ruined from a repossession on my record. PLEASE take my advice, never deal with them, no matter what your circumstances. I am basically ruined because of my decision to trust Santander with my car loan. DO NOT DO IT. I cannot stress that enough.

As executor with power of attorney for an elderly widow. The bank has denied the power of attorney. So, in order to handle her expenses, I shall take her in person to close her account. The bank has no concern for assisting a 94 year old lady who is wheelchair confined.

I bought a 08 Dodge Charger in February of 2014 financed through Santander. At the time I didn't know any better. These people or company shall I say are completely awful. They will blow your phone up if you're 1 day late constantly. I've been paying for almost 3 years on this vehicle, yes been late a few times because of health issues amongst other life situations. Balance is more now than it was when I purchased the pos. This company is unreal and unforgiving. Finally decided after all this time to just let them come get it whenever they get ready. They've hurt me worse than they ever helped. Please people stay away from them. PERIOD!!!

Due to bad credit after my divorce I was forced to use Santander for an auto loan. My credit has since come up and I was able to pay off my loan. When they were overpaid by $862 they conveniently applied the payout to two months future payment and refused to refund my money. They stated they only owe me a hundred and sixty something dollars. I asked for detailed accounting. It clearly shows where they applied in October and November payment even though the vehicle was paid off in September. But when I speak to them on the phone they claim this is not the case. Yet this is what I clearly show on paper that they themselves sent me.

I bought a used vehicle and bought the S-Guard extended warranty. I had to put my truck in the shop a few days ago and was going to use my extended warranty to cover the issues and found out they didn't want to cover anything. I pulled up and printed out the coverage I had bought and they backed out of paying for anything that should have been covered through them. I don't understand why I paid all this money for this warranty and they don't want to stand behind their product that they sell. How can they get away with doing business like that.

I am complaining about a call that I received from Ricky ** in the office of the president. I explained that I spoke with Elizabeth in the Reinstatement department regarding my vehicle Repossession on August 8, 2016. During the call Elizabeth advised that the repossesion fee of $405 would be minused on my next billing statement.

Now on October 21, 2016 I spoke with Ricky ** who advised that he only pulled one phone call from a representative that I spoke with by the name of Ramona. I do not feel that he did his job which is to pull every call from August 10th regarding my repossession. So, he reviews the call and advised that Elizabeth never advised of the repossession fee would be deducted which is not true. I even offered to send in my handwritten notes of the call on August 10th. Santander Consumer calls me everyday and harasses me. I just lost my job on July 8, 2016. I just paid $836 on August 10th to get my vehicle back. This is wrong and not how customer service issues is handled.

I have dealt with many different banks but I must say this bank is a joke. Sadly, I have to say that this bank offers nothing but unprofessional, impolite and the worst service that anyone one can get. I have visited this bank for the past 3 months and I had an incident that took place today. A teller named Catherine who seemed to be an ** background with the worst attitude helped me deposit my money. She didn't only have the weakest personality but was uncivilized to treat her customers. She confirmed my deposits and after I had asked her to give me changes, she accused me of giving her a $100 counterfeit bill. I had clearly remembered that I had given the new $100 bill. She somehow swapped the bill indoor to put it in her pocket. The manager tried to escalate the situation but she didn't even have any knowledge of whether the bill was counterfeit or not.

I urged both of them to watch the cameras and let me know if I had given her the money and they claimed that it would take time to find the footage. I clearly told them that if I had given that money then I would take the responsibility and would apologize but they didn't have the system to check the cameras. I have been coming to this branch for 3 months and almost all the employees know me and I had no problems besides this ** girl full of arrogance with a dull personality. They took 2 hours to figure out that the bill was not counterfeit rather it was original. The manager had no idea how to check a counterfeit bill. I told her that when you mark a bill it would give the color black if it's a counterfeit bill. She had to call an employee who was on a vacation to confirm.

This branch is a joke where people with no intelligence is hired and work for nothing good. I would never go back rather would withdraw and switch to a different bank. They not only wasted my time but was not apologetic. I hope that ** girl who's zero intelligence is fired from her position. While the manager was double checking the money, she was chewing her snack and using her phone when there was a line waiting to be helped. I would kindly urge you guys to find a better branch or even a better bank than this.

So in Apr 2015, I traded in my 2014 4Dr Rubicon for a 2015 2Dr Hard Rock Edition. LOVE my Jeeps. Dealt with a great dealership, no issues there. They got me in the Jeep for a HUGE monthly payment, but I was told to email a copy of my active duty service commitment forms, and they would reduce my rate to 6% and drop my payments in half. So I call Chrysler Capital once my first payment is due. They tell me I have to have a set of Temp Duty orders or PCS orders in order to show them I'm active duty. And then tell me NOT to make a payment because once the orders go through, I won't have a payment for 60 days. So, I don't make a payment, sit and wait... and lo and behold, they don't reduce my rate, and come up with you have to have a set of deployment orders, and you have to have NOT be in the military before your contract... So I read their website, which specifically states PCS orders are an acceptable document for proof of active duty service.

So I try again... Send in a copy of my PCS orders, and again get told not to make a payment, 60 days BS... Oh by the way, they reported my 60 days late payment to the credit bureaus... And again, they deny my PCS orders. I finally called them to talk to a manager, and he tells me the same thing, that I need TDY or deployment orders. NOWHERE ON THE WEBSITE UNDER THESE BENEFITS DOES IT SAY ORDERS FOR DEPLOYMENT OR SPECIAL OPERATIONS!!! PCS ORDERS ARE ACCEPTABLE!!! Either change your damn website, or give me my 6% rate for my 28 deployments and 20 years of military service!!! And oh, now I'm trying to get another car for my spouse, and they won't fix the credit bureaus late payments report... I LOVE Santander. They gave me my special interest rate for active duty military, but their sister company, Chrysler capital can suck it. Once I get my credit fixed, bye Felicia!

Whoa! Is this legal? After reading the horror stories about the infamous Santander Consumer USA, I thought I would share mine. It is my sincere hope that this post helps one person to avoid potential destruction. I purchased my vehicle 11/2010 and the loan was set to mature October 15, 2016. Guess what? It will not. My car note is set to be paid off, 2018. Why? In the ignorance of making payments and blindly thinking that my payments were being applied to the principal; investigation reveals that I have paid $16,000 plus on the interest and $3200 has been applied to the principal. This is on a vehicle that was supposedly financed for $12,000.00. Oh, and let me add, that over $7,000 in repairs, a new transmission, everything under the hood has been replaced and all power window motors have been replaced.

I IMPLORE AND BEG anyone who is purchasing a vehicle and Santander is mentioned as the company with which the loan will be financed thru, to "RUN, DO NOT WALK" out the door! Tell the salesperson to consider other options or let you take the paperwork to a bank or credit union for a loan officer to review. DO NOT SIGN, anything. There are options, PLEASE do not get blindly LOCKED into a loan with Santander.

What has been considered legal by our government to allow Santander to operate in such a "scheming and diabolical" business manner is wrong. This bothered me so much that I contacted the Attorney General's office and they have requested that I submit my paperwork for this loan. This company seems to prey on the seemingly not credit worthy of society. To be allowed to operate in such a manner makes the words of truth written a long time ago in the Bible, "man has dominated man to his harm" (Ecclesiastes 8:9).

I wish I too could give a lower star. The company is designed to ruin your credit, and make sure you never pay off the loan. I was in an accident, and they would credit checks weeks after receiving them, and not providing information so the process took longer, so they could tack on late fees and interest. They agreed to lower my payment, but has not complied with their own letter. 5 days after the payment is due, 7 days after a phone call pointing out I do not owe what their system says. Yesterday I received a letter that I am 45 days past due (I'm not). Instead of paying them (my only creditor that I was using to rebuild my credit), I think I will file bankruptcy, or move forward with disputing them any way I can. 2 years left of payments on a car I don't have (I did not cause the accident), and they are ruining my credit, so I cannot buy a house. I'm over them!

Santander car loan is a complete rip off. Please do not use them for anything. I got a car loan from them in 2008 on a Toyota Camry. It was a 2004 at the dealership. I was lead to believe the car was only going to be 21,000 so I agreed to the car loan. Got home to see that the loan was going to be actually 40,000 due to high interest and fees. Well anyway I made my payment of 500 dollars every month. After a year of making payments on time I start noticing that my balance was lower any. I called and they corrected the issue. So in 2011 I heard a tow truck pulling into my yard. It was the repo man... How I made my payments on time... According to Santander I didn't. I paid almost 700 dollar in fees to get my car back. Finally I paid off my loan in 2012 but I have never got my title. I call and they have no information on my account. Wtf. 2016 still no title. I just got a lawyer. This crazy! NEVER USE THIS LOAN COMPANY!

I regret that I financed my car thru this bank. I have paid a lump sum payment towards my principal back in August and here is September and they are not able to update my account and give me a direct answer. Yesterday I was told by a manager that my account would be up to date today. When I checked my balance on the phone this morning not only it did not reflect the money paid toward the principal but it also indicated my account is 32 days past due. Even though I paid a lump sum towards my principal I have still been making my payments thru electronic deductions from my checking account on time every month. I would not recommend Santander to anyone for financing their vehicles.

I availed a Balance Transfer with Santander Bank and paid 3.5 % processing fee. The Customer Care Executive affirmed that the period is for 24 months. But every month Santander charged interest for the Balance Transfer amount. I called them and they say that I do not qualify for the 24 months as I am a existing customer and it is only available for the new customers.

The customer care executive acknowledged that it was a mistake by the employee but nothing can be done to correct the same. I have to continue to pay the interest even though it is the mistake of their employee. Santander --> Run, Santander --> Run Fast, Santander --> Run in the opposite direction. Santander --> Run as fast as you can.

Santander Consumer USA Company Profile