1.34/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Looking for a loan company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 14, 2017

1119 Santander Consumer USA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

After paying on a car loan since March 2017 -- well in advance of monthly deadlines, well OVER the amount due each and every time, I am NOW told that my online account is disabled and I must physically go to my bank and do an electronic funds transfer (which will cost me $$). The reason? In 2012 I filed Chapter 13. The car was purchased with every T crossed and I dotted, and yet, with ONE MONTH left in Chapter 13, I suddenly am *more* of a risk, despite 100% timely, above-and-beyond payments. Never EVER EVER use this company! I did because I didn't have a choice. Rest assured the moment I am able to, I will refinance through a reputable company that treats their customers accurately. I can only imagine how they treat bad customers if this is how they treat the good ones. AVOID SANTANDER!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I read through the complaints. Folks! You get what you earn. If you have bad credit or sloppy credit you will pay and be watched closely. I have had nothing but good vibes with this company. The blame goes back on you not the financer!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I am here to tell those hardworking people out there to stay away from this bank Santander Consumer USA. Do not apply for auto loan or home loan or whatever loan. Don't apply please. They are bloodsucker. They will mess your credit in just a few weeks or in 2 months and will charge you extra like you earning money and working hard for them. I call them bloodsucker. I am planning to sue them. I am just collecting some evidence. In auto loan I pay them almost $15000 dollar. Not even 1 percent went to principal and they sending me the bill that I just pay $6000 only. LOL. WOW.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

This company financed a car for me back in 2014. I paid a little more than my monthly payments each month on time. It surprises me to see so many bad reviews. I had no problem whatsoever. I received my title to my car a couple of months ago. I do not feel cheated or robbed. If I get another car in the future I would LOVE for this company to finance it for me. Thanks Santander for a job well done.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My fiancè and I financed a vehicle and they were the only option we had at the time given my layoff and having a newborn on the way. Having ** credit thanks in large part to my ex wife running up bills under my information before I could put a stop to it, we were forced to absorb a hefty 21% interest rate. As many other have said, many of the initial payments go almost strictly to interest. Pay $352 and watch 320 go to interest. You get the idea. Now, despite paying on time for a year and having been told that we could refinance if we did so to get a lower rate by the dealership, Santander says "we dont do that". Ok so the salesperson lied. Shocker.

But after over 4 1/2 years of making payments we are still somehow paying for this van. We hit our maturity date and still owed money? How? What are these fees... Why did so much go into just interest and not pay down the principal as it should have. So after it hit maturity date, we then had to re open another loan for the balance and to no surprise the first payments again are solely going to interest again. It's ridiculous with this bank. They've been hit with a Class action in other states... When will NY hit them again for these bully tactics and preying on the unfortunate. They make themselves difficult to contact, they take forever to respond to information requests. Trying to talk to them on the phone is impossible and I'm sure it's by design. I warn everyone I know not to even finance a toaster oven through these people. You will pay 3000% in value for it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

When you call in for questions they will ask you all your info just to help you. By all I mean your name, your address, mother's maiden name, two security questions with the answers, the checking account number, the savings account number, the credit card number with expirations date and the three digit code which means they have every info on a person but it gets worse. They then send a message to your phone with a code and they will not help you without all the above happening... I guess no one learned from Wells Fargo when they were opening fake accounts. I am leaving this bank immediately and need to warn everyone on Facebook etc.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I have had a loan with this company since December 2013. I was making payments and then the amount of payments begin to go up. I started paying $305 a month and if late, then $16.50 late fee was added. I was behind a few times and made up the payments due to being unemployed and couldn’t afford to pay along with other bills. After calling this company (which I no longer do, I send information in writing certified read receipt via the post office) I was treated unprofessionally and after being put on hold for 5 mins for one call, then 30 mins for another I would get hung up on. I then contacted my attorney for information on how to deal with these crooks.

I called this company asking why my payments were doubled one month, then tripled the next month, then through the roof another time when I was paying what I was supposed to pay. I found a copy of my contract and did what my attorney advised me to do. I no longer call this company at all anymore. I send them information certified read receipt via the USPS. That way I can get the information I need to sue these crooks for lying to me. And I pulled my credit reports and on all 3 bureaus they put different amounts that I am supposed to pay. Time for more certified read receipt letters to go out.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My fiance financed his truck through Santander Consumer USA 4 years ago! He has already paid $10,000 more than the actual price of the truck and they still say he owes $17,000 more on it!!! Are you kidding me? That means by the time he is done he will have paid over $30,000 for an 08 pickup truck!!! We all need to get together, sue them and try to shut them down!!! They target people who have bad credit and take advantage of them!!! This is ridiculous!!! Any lawyers want to help?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I purchased a washer and dryer for my granddaughter as a wedding gift in 2015. I took the loan out through this company. Within one month I paid the full amount off in 2015. The loan was paid off. I'm continually getting a bill and when I call to find out why they're still billing me they said they're billing me because I never called to close my account. I've never heard of that my life. I'm a 63 year old senior. I've been purchasing items from ABC for over 30 years and I've never known a contract to say that you have to actually call the lender once your loan's paid off. As far as I know you're done. It's paid off paid in full but they're saying now that I'm up to $214. They're trying to get for me for not calling to close the account back in 2015. Is this legal.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I recently sent them a check from my insurance company for $2066 for damages done to the vehicle and they have been sitting on the check they haven't forwarded the check or added to the balance of the vehicle. I think they are trying to steal it. If so, this is embezzlement. They have my husband calling around when he asked about the check they claim to be trying to find out which auto shop to send the check to my husband told them to mail the check back. He had his own body shop to send it to they have yet to reply. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME GETTING A VEHICLE THROUGH THESE CROOKS. They will try and STEAL EVERY PENNY THEY CAN EVEN FROM YOU!!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Well my experience was insane. I stated with this company owing 18,600 and some odd dollars in principal and 33,000 dollars after interest... Now if that alone ain't insane. I said okay, I signed for that deal I will go thru with it. But here's the kicker... First 2 payments after I get car I paid over to get my principal to 17,765 within a month of having car. 6 month later every payment on time and every penny went interest. Called their customer service and was told in a sense that I should pay early or twice a month to get my principal down. So I refinance with a lower APR. AND GUESS WHAT... They send the amount of almost exactly what I owed them from the start to my new loan company. Kind of like I never paid anything. Horrible.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I woke up yesterday and saw my car being towed away. I immediately called Santander and was notified that computer system was down and glitches were messing up dates in the system. Santander has claimed responsibility. However, their computer systems are down now two days in a row and are unable to process my car to be released. I was told my car would be sent to auction if I do not claim it in time within 24 hours. This 24 hours mark has passed. All I need is an email sent to the tow company to release my car and sent to my email as well. They claim they are unable to do so because of computer glitches. I find it hard to believe that the company is unable to send an email.

I have received a dozen apologies but this has been a major hardship on me, as I have had to take two days off work now so I can call once per hour to see if their computer is back up. Everyone has been nice, one lady was condescending. Overall, I am pleased with their attitudes. But you can't take someone's car when they have been making payments due to computer glitches. My car was basically stolen from Santander and they refuse to help me get it released, even when my account is 100% paid. I don't recommend. I have been with this car loan company for three years and I can't believe this has happened. My payments were all on time and this is due to a computer glitch switching dates and deleting payments out of the system.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I refinanced my vehicle. The check was lost in the mail, unbeknownst to me until I got a call from their collections department. On a conference call with my bank that refinanced and Santander, we had to go through four "managers" only to find out that the president of the company would honor my bank’s back dated check. They are charging the interest. And still, even though I gave them permission, will not talk to my financial institution. Are they a financial institution??? I question that. I also will ask to have in writing that they will not ding MY credit, because my payoff from my credit union was lost in the mail. Poor service. The president of the company is the only one that has power in Santander??? I will NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

We've had an auto loan with the company for about 6 months. I created an online account that requires an email, password, and either the model year of your vehicle or the last 4 of your social. I have an email in my inbox confirming the account set-up. I also have a notebook with all of my usernames and passwords. For the last six months when logging in attempting to pay it says incorrect information. I go to the forgot password/username and attempt to retrieve what they say is incorrect. Even though I have it written down for EVERY time I have had to change it. Next, when I attempt to just bypass the nonsense and set up a new account it says that one's already exist while on the other page it says that it does not!!! However, if you have to call and make a payment with an agent there is a fee!

SCAMMING the people. I have never written a bad review but this is by far the most frustrating and shady loan company that I have ever dealt with and we will be refinancing somewhere else. ASAP! Once I was charged a late fee for entering the wrong checking account number online. It's possible I made a typing mistake on a number that I've had for 20 years and know my heart but they could not produce the paperwork showing the suggested mistake that cost me $40. I am officially done.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have made 6 months worth of early/on-time payments and have even paid extra. They apply 0% of the payments to the principal. And merely apply it to next month's bill. A simple interest loan does not work this way. For the past 2 months my principal has not gone down 1 cent. I called and was on the phone with their Cust SVC for hours and they could not explain to me why they were doing this. They could not provide me with a monthly payment amount that would ensure my car is paid within the agreed time frame. My monthly payment amount requirement number on their website has no relation to any type of actual amount I need to pay to pay off my car. $650 payments made on the 1st (due in 25th) for the past two months have brought my amount owed from $27,100 to $27,100. I'm getting ripped off. I'll never own this car even while making on time payments early. Santander should not be a last resort. It should be a non-option. Do not use them.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I had my car financed with Santander July 2014. I tried to refinance my car. I owed more than the car was worth. I voluntarily gave it back in August 2016. They are still reporting negative information on my credit bureaus. They're reporting I am late on my car payments. They still report full balance of the loan on my credit bureaus and they sold the car at an auction.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

This company is terrible. I have had my CC for 2 years with no missed or late payments. They closed my account saying that they don't deal with the company anymore and jacked my interest rate up. So not only am I paying on a closed account, but the interest rate is so high it's like I'm paying nothing. Tried to get them to lower it was a waste of time. Very disrespectful customer service also!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I had a long standing relationship with this bank and never had a problem up until 2 years ago when money started slowly missing from my checking account. Week after week money was missing. I went to the branch several times to complain and each time they said it was my fault and that it was my calculator and my error. I have been at my new bank so far for four months and so far every week the numbers are exact. I am using the same calculator. So where did all my money go and why wasn't it fixed or taken care of. I will never recommend this bank to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

This company is okay for the fact that when I fell on hard times they took my late payment and put it on the end of my loan, what I am dissatisfied with however is I purchased this car through CarMax and I purchased the MaxCare extended warranty and was told that the payments for my MaxCare warranty is included with my car payment, so when my MaxCare warranty expired, and when I called to inform them that my MaxCare expired I was informed by Santander Consumer USA that they will not deduct the money that I was paying for my MaxCare from my car payment. So I'm basically paying $60 a month for something I'm not using.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I have had my car since 2013 (brand new), paid $9,000 down payment when I drove it off the lot. I lost my job 3 months after I purchased this vehicle and was unable to keep up for 2 months. I got a new job and found out that I am unable to get any assistance (most will take a payment or 2 and put it behind the loan -- nope, not these people). It is now 2017 and have made my 48th payment. When I went onto my account I noticed that I still owed $20,000 (mind you, my car was a $32,000 car, I paid $9,000 down, my loan was for $24,900). I have ALREADY PAID $25,632.29 to this company, so I call and was told that I have been late multiple times and because I have a simple interest loan, my payments have been going to interest. -- OHHH and I have $2,000 in late fees. My car is now valued around $8,200.

The lady that I spoke to said I was confused and didn't understand why I owe so much. I explained to her that I got it however, by the time I get this paid off its going to be another 5 years and I would have paid $60,000 for a loan that was way less than this AND not worth that value. She said she would put a note in to have a manager call me within 72 hours. Yea right! That's what I was told last time.

She even confirmed my payment date was the 24th and for the past 4 years (aside from the 2 months), my payment was made on the 20th **but somehow I am still late**. What a waste of money this was, I should have bought cash out and called it a day, I guess I should let them repossess it, at least that will be off my record before the car is paid off.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I purchased a car in July 2015. I had no choice with the loan company the dealership went with. They have been awful. The interest rate is so high and whenever I have contacted them, the customer service is not helpful and also very rude. I don't like that they won't refinance at a lower rate. I feel like I was ripped off by this company. If you have a choice do not go with this company. They should be out of business.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I bought a 2010 Toyota Prius through them. Consistently since 2013 I have had problems with them. I sent in multiple checks a day after paying my car note and all they did was put all my extra money towards interest. Second thing I was getting my co signer removed. We mailed the paperwork over a month ago and they still stating they have not received it. I'm at highly fed up with this company. I repeat DO NOT get a loan through them, a credit card or anything from the rip off company.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Two and a half years ago I took out a car loan with Santander Consumer, where a year ago I was diagnosed with STAGE 3C HER POS Breast Cancer where I was let go from my job of 6 1/2 yr as I was told by employer that we are no longer on the same path. I reached out to Santander with no prevail to allow me to change my payment amount. They refused. I utilized CAN (Cancer Alliance of Naples) and Bosom Buddies (Breast Cancer Organization) to help me with bills. Upon going over my financials as needed when you apply for help through organizations it was noticed that although I have been paying Santander over $340.00 monthly my loan amount is not budging but a fraction, and in addition the late fees that were being charged were double the amount of the car payment itself. Shortly after they repossessed my car as they would not work with me.

I received outside aid to get my car back and having to pay quite a bit of money. Just last month they showed up in the middle of the night, never reached out to me, they simply repossessed the car again for 2 late payments, as they would not work with me. This time I did not make any attempt to get the vehicle back as I have now learned that this company is worse than a "loan shark" - they take HIGH payments each month where your loan does not go down, charging more than double the amount of the monthly payment as a late fee, not willing to work with their clients.

And in ending, after my car was repossessed they sent immediately to auction, sold it, and are still charging me along with late fees for the original amount of the loan and reporting it to Credit Reporting agencies, so they are now wanting to get paid monthly on a vehicle that I no longer have in my possession which has been sold at auction where they pocketed that money. I honestly feel as though this company needs to be investigated. In addition fine the following where I have now found that I am not alone as the following is over 1,095 complaints on the following site as well not counting others - https://www.consumeraffairs.com/finance/santander.html. I have requested an inquiry by my Congressional Representative as well. I can be reached at **, I do plan on taking this to media. Thank you for your prompt attention.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

They are always courteous and friendly. Always available when I have questions or concerns. There are no fees and offer many services. In fact my credit card offer is 2 years no interest and you can't beat that.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I received a letter from Santander stating I had overpaid my loan by $102.00. This was in March 2017. I paid off the loan back in 2014. I thought cool unexpected windfall. I promptly filled out their form and mailed it off to Santander. I figured a couple of weeks I should get a check. 4 weeks go by so I called customer service. I am informed it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get a refund. I am disappointed, it has only taken them 3 years to figure out they owe me some money. What's a couple of more weeks. 10 weeks go by I contact Santander again.

Santander lost my refund request. Santander stated they could not send me another form. I was a little shocked when the customer service rep dropped the F-bomb while talking to me. It has been over 8 weeks again still no refund check. After reading the other reviews I am going to hand this over to God and forget it, life is too short. Sad thing about Santander acquired the original loan from another loan company, my wife never applied for credit with Santander. So we had no choice from the beginning. Sad a business can operate like this, steal money, ruin people's credit score. It is just a shame.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Just what everyone is saying! This company should be taken to court and not allowed to steal people's money like this. I have been paying on my car every month on time and the payoff is coming down pennies. I guess I was nuts for signing these papers and you will be also if you get a loan with them. Don't even think of it and North Carolina should not let them in our state.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I purchase a 2013 Dodge Journey in 2013. The vehicle costed $21,556.30, the balance as of 2017 is $18,835.99 and the pay off is $20,243.84. The lady said I've made 40 payments of $515.00. Right now I'm a few months behind due to not enough funds anymore. ($3,453.00 is owed to catch up.) What is wrong with this picture? How do I still owe almost the same amount when I purchase. Basically I paid $1312.46 within 3 years. I really want to know if I can sue.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

The interest on my 2005 Toyota Camry is so much I can not pay any more. I can not pay my rent. What can I do (give it back) what will happen? I see on a post that the Justice Dept just Reaches a Settlement with Santander U.S.A. for 9.35 million and Santander will pay 26 million to settle allegations that it gave high interest loans to car buyers (it knew could not Repay) the loan (like me) a lending tactic that helped trigger the housing market Crash nearly a decade ago. Massachusetts some will have car Borrowers will have their outstanding loans (paid off) as part of the settlement. Can someone help us out there? Can we sue them? Do any one know how to go about this. Well thank you and (god bless you all).

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Stay away from this company. I finance a 2008 Chrysler 300. It was 18,000 paid on it for 5 yrs & still owes 15,000. How is that even possible? So I let them report it. Now I got a 2015 Chrysler 300 with a great company. Try Capital One. Stay away from Santander. If you don't you will be sorry.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

This past April my van was stolen and vandalized, so upon completion of repairs I decided to trade it for a new one, because I didn't want drive my old van after it was stolen. So I drove to the dealership the same day I picked my van from the body shop. To make a long story short, I was turn down for loan after paying on time for three years! What a bunch of JERKS!!!???

Santander Consumer USA Company Information