1.18/5

Looking for a loan company?

1232 Santander Consumer USA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My account was behind and listed as charged off, but they re-instated the account and returned the car to me. They listed as charged off on my credit and will not correct the report. Also they are no longer reporting the payments that I am making. Their customer service people are rude and verbally abusive. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SANTANDER CONSUMER USA.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My experience with this company is horrible. They overcharged me for my 2014 Outlander and I tried to trade out to get something cheaper and was told I was overcharged. No one could get me out of the SUV. So after years of payments and no decrease in my balance, I turned it back in. They sold my truck for pennies and want to charge me over 16,000.00 for the remaining balance. Smh. I wish I would have done my homework on this company before I agreed to that contract. Word of advice DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY TO FINANCE YOUR VEHICLE, YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF...

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I accidentally made a payment to Chrysler Capital (totally my fault) whom I HAD an account with. In an effort to try and get my money back I contacted my bank to issue an ACH refund and the only thing they could do for me was fax a letter to Chrysler stating they made the payment at my direction. Because I no longer have an account with Chrysler it is extremely difficult to get to Customer Service as it is all automated. When you do get a hold of them you can NEVER talk to the same person twice... AND YOU CAN NEVER TALK TO THE ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT.

They are requiring documentation from my bank showing the transactions coming out of my account and a daily running balance. I sent this to them and blocked out everything else on the page. Now they are telling me that it is an altered statement and can't be used. They know they received money for a closed account and therefore the money doesn't belong to them. It has been 3 weeks since they received the money and still no end in sight as to me getting my money back. SHAME ON YOU CHRYSLER CAPITAL!! And to think I was a loyal customer for many many years... not so any longer.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Worst company in the world! We paid off our car months ago and still no title! We can't even speak to anyone at their 1800 number because they closed our account. They keep transferring us from department to department. I want what I paid for!!! This is not fair that a company can get away with this.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

After reading a few of the (mostly) negative reviews here I just had to chime in (as a satisfied SCUSA customer for almost 4 years now). It is apparent they all have a common theme... They didn't make their payments as agreed so they default and lose. It's life, in the USA if you sign a legal agreement, you are bound by it. Responsibility is key but most of these peeps just want to point the finger and blame others for their own problems. Speaking for myself, I have financed my car without any issues since purchasing in March of 2015 and Santander has been awesome, both online and on the phone whenever I seldomly called. Of course, I have responsibly paid on time every month, except one last year by a few days because of an issue with my pay.

In that instance, I promptly called them and explained my situation and they made note of it and were more than happy to flex a bit, which I was very grateful for. No rudeness or anything like that, very professional and personable. Of course I was respectful and courteous to them as well which I'm guessing a lot of these people posting these negative reviews were not when they communicated with SCUSA. You've gotta give respect to get respect people! Anyway, just wanted to post a 5 thumbs up because they deserve it based on my experience with them for the past few years. Nothing but a great experience from just a guy who is financing. Almost owning in a few months!... My baby Lex. Thanks for the awesome service Santander! Don't let the irresponsible lowlifes get you down!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

In March of 2017, my car was repossessed. I paid off what I owed (total) amount in Nov 2017. They had already sold it in auction. Today is Oct 1st 2018 and I received a certified letter from a towing company that I owed them $1,900 and to come pick up my car as they have had it since August 2018. Apparently, when Santander put it to auction and someone bought it, they never did the paperwork to change title. I am livid. Then I find out whoever bought it was in a wreck. Why am I even dealing with this? You auctioned off car after repo, I paid you off in full... no more car for a year and a half and suddenly... I am getting nailed for a car you did not legally auction off? I am calling my attorney. This is unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I got my car in April of 2018 and they repossessed it yesterday. My car was broken into and due to Hurricane Florence most of my things were destroyed. I kept in contact with them every step of the way so when the tow guy came I called them & they stated that I haven't been talking with them even after giving names of CSRs that I spoke with. They stated that since my account was new that I had to pay off my entire car ($19,971.63) instead of the amount of the past due ($870.63). All of the agents were rude and even told me that I need to check into the "public transportation" if I can't pay that large amount. I'm only giving them 1 star because it's required. If it wasn't they would get -100 stars. These people are ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

My fiance and I went to a dealership to get a vehicle, never should have signed but we are going and had great jobs and ended up caving and getting the new 2016 ram 1500 big horn. That was our first mistake... We both had credit scores over 750 but because we are young we were ran at a 17.97% interest rate by Chrysler Capital Finance. We stupidly signed the papers for a $937.97 per month payment. (At the time we could afford it) We ended up losing money in a fraud scam and my fiance took a layoff from his good job about the time I had a seasonal layoff from my job. We tried and tried to work with Chrysler to make our payments and pay ahead but every day we spoke with them we got completely different stories and nonsense and no one could give us a reason for our interest rate being so high.

We got the loan for $42000. We now owe over $44000 and that's after a $5000 payment that should have been put on five months worth of payments but never was and they refused to fix it and now our truck has been repoed. They "have no information and cannot access our account" to tell us where to go from here, how much we owe to get it back, what we may have to pay if we choose to not get it back or anything. Needless to say, this company is worthless and are on the top 3 in the nation of companies that NO ONE will refinance because of how crooked they are.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

They're the worst. I bought a car using Santander, and till now I'm suffering. I don't know what to do with the car yet. They keep doubling my monthly payment for every late payment just a few days behind the due date. I don't know how they're exist in the American market till now? Terrible Bank ever. Do not you ever fail a victim like me.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

We were in a bankruptcy and our car was totaled in the middle of a chapter 13. That left us with very few options to obtain any credit to find a replacement vehicle that would satisfy the trustee's requirements in year, price, and mileage. There are very few lenders that will extend credit to someone in the middle of a chapter 13, despite having sufficient income to work it, leaving us with Santander (who also does business as Road Loans). I knew we would get taken to the woodshed on the interest rate, but there wasn't much choice we had.

The first few months were fine. We tried get a short of a loan as possible, and were paying as much as possible to pay off the loan as quickly as possible. Around the third month, the paper statements quit coming. We called. The Santander rep said they were not going to send statements at all. They said that we failed to disclose the bankruptcy, despite it being clearly noted in our credit files, and we noted it with the auto lot. We argued this, but our appeals to supervisors were for naught. Because of this, Santander said they would be disabling online access and ceased sending any paper statements. We were totally in the dark with the status of our loan. It at that point required multiple phone calls on a biweekly basis to check the payoff amount and last payment received to determine if they were actually crediting the account. Each phone call took upwards of 30 minutes on hold.

I managed to scrape up a few thousand and after a year was able to pay off the car entirely. Despite sending the payoff amount to the proper address, the Santander people claimed the check never arrived. We checked on the final due date of the month, almost 10 days after mailing the check off, and they still claimed to not have it. We had to pay another month's payment, and ended up getting stuck with another month's worth of interest. The following day, to call back about the payoff amount and last payment received, yet again, they mysteriously found the check they claimed was never sent. That led to another 6 week delay in getting our overpayment back. When that finally arrived, it didn't come as a check, but in the form of a prepaid Mastercard. Transferring money off that took another 3 business days.

At every turn, it felt like Santander was going everything possible to extract literally every penny possible from us at any cost. I have never dealt with a company like this, and for people with bad credit or in bankruptcy, I now see how this process and vicious sub prime lending works to keep people poor. I understand people need transportation to get to work, but if there's any way to avoid doing business with Santander, I would strongly encourage you to finance your vehicle any way possible.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

My wife pass away after a battle with cancer last June. After paying off the auto loan on her name Santander have refused to released the tittle on the car till I show a will or a court document showing that I'm the proper person to get the car, since my wife did not leave a will they also repossess the car and I paid off the loan. So they have the car and the title. It will take 30 to 60 days and approximate $2,000 to get this court paper. It's unfair and unprofessional the treatment that I'm getting from this company.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

In May 2017 they came and repossessed my car stating I was 64 days past due. I was like how. They reviewed my payments and the guy stated when you make a large payment you have to call us and we will know that you're paying notes and not the interest. Ok that's my fault because I didn't know that. Well I had to pay $783 to get my car back and I did that. I've been paying every month since May 2017 without any issues. On yesterday my car was repossessed again while I'm at work. I called and they stated I was 72 days past due. I said, "I've been paying every month since May 2017. How am I delinquent again." The customer service agent was very rude so I asked for a manager. He was like, "Basically you never caught up when we gave you the car back the 1st time." I said how because I can't get the car without being current.

He agreed but then said this is what you need to pay because you're not current. Well I called on today and spoke with another manager and I stated I have my attorney looking into this because if I've never missed a payment since 5/2017 how 9/2017 my car is being repossessed again. As he read the notes he was quiet and stated, "Let me send this higher because you're correct. There's no way you keep getting your car if it's still behind." I'm currently waiting on a call but also I'm calling to be refinanced somewhere else. My attorney is investigating the illegal repossession. Please do not do business with this company.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

This loan company is the worse. They're liars. I paid my truck off two years ago. Still fighting for my title. I'm calling a lawyer today to see if they can help me get my title for something that I paid off. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE! HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. You start off with one loan company but somehow you get them later on. If this happens try to get your vehicle refinanced with another company. This company will screw you.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I purchased a vehicle in 2015 which Santander financed it. I became very ill. Ended up having heart surgery. Spoke with them about working with me on my payments. Was sending half payments. Had no problems. They never once contacted me about it or sent a letter. I woke up to my vehicle gone they repoed it without any notice. Called to see how much it would cost to get it back. Remind you I've had this car three years, they were very rude told me I had to pay the full balance plus 850 for picking it up. As a company you would think they would help you keep your vehicle and get the money you owe but they rather take it and get less for it. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. They will finance anyone no matter your credit and they will also hurt your credit in the worst ways. They have a habit of reporting late payments to your credit reports. Please avoid this company at all cost.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Avoid this bank!!! They are idiots! Attempted to bill me twice for a loan payment (6 hours on the phone to correct). Play games around releasing the title of the vehicle. Poor communication. Required that I open a FedEx account to get the title shipped to me overnight. Provided FedEx number with pay off check and they mailed it us mail anyway with a one week plus delay.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My payment in the form of a money order was altered and deposited into their Chase bank account, Pay to the order of “Drive.” Come to find out that’s a subsidiary company of theirs. After filing an investigation with Western Union, no religion has came as they told me no one from their company would do that, and it must of been someone from where I purchased the money order. No resolution has came. I filed complaints with CFPB and my Attorney general and Santander told me they do not settle.

Also I have a 27.99 interest rate and have paid over $14000 in four years for a $11,000 car with my principle being $11,500 when I purchased, it’s currently $10,800 right now, and my car is only worth $5,000 on KBB. At the time of purchase between my credit score and lack of income with no co-signer, there should have been no way for me to purchase this vehicle. They did so with the sole attention of me never paying back the vehicle and for me to default which is a tactic that caused the 2008 recession. I want to start a class action lawsuit, so if anyone has an extremely high interest rate and thinks they were taken advantage of at the time of signing please contact me **.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I traded in my car in the year of 2016 due to a financial situation and my current car's reliability. I was in a hard spot and needed a new car immediately. I was approved for a car loan with Santander Consumer USA, with them approving me for $16,000 with very little credit, no co-signer, and no down payment. I knew this was a bad idea but I had a plan to refinance with my Credit Union in good time. Meanwhile, I had to pay $440/mo with a 26.97% APR. Wow, was I naive! And they knew this, and took advantage of it to their fullest. Here I am, 40,000 miles later, the resale value recently dropped, I'm screwed. Over the past two years I have worked extremely hard to secure a stable income and raise my credit, all while having to share my car due to family financials and putting on double the miles.

I called Santander Consumer USA to finally ask to re-evaluate the terms of my loan and refinance within the company, due to having a higher household income and much better credit history/score. They would not even consider my request. 4 out of 30 payments have gone to the principal of this car. This is my only option at this point. No other bank, financial institution, loan company will even CONSIDER refinancing with me. I figured after being a loyal customer and paying A BUNCH OF MONEY IN INTEREST they would have a reasonable outlook on how much they should or should not use their customers for their money, robbing them blind. Of course not. I don't know what I was thinking working so hard for this company. I don't know why I have given them my hard earned money. No person deserves to be treated like this. This is downright shameful.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I needed a loan really fast to purchase a vehicle from an individual through RoadLoans that happens to be a division of Santander. At that time my credit score was high 600s. Took out a loan with RoadLoans/Santander because it would have taken too long with my local bank to get the car I wanted. The expectations were to refinance the vehicle and lower the rate with my local credit union a few months later. I have to say It was really disappointing that Santander reported my loan late after I closed and paid off the account purchasing another vehicle. They reported me late on two occasions April & June for some odd reason. This transpired when I closed and paid off the account in July. I'd never been late in the two years of having the loan.

The other issue was after disputing this with the credit bureau Santander has added two more additional late payments from 2017 because disputed to the FTC. This time I will take it a step further. They did this four months after my account had been closed and paid off - Really credit bureaus and Santander? I plan to report this issue again with the FTC because they didn't handle the process accurately. Truthfully it's really unfair and unethical. I understand they are a subprime bank but this is unethical.

What we have to remember these are people that work for Santander. Believe me 99.9% of their employees are credit challenged and are told do this by upper management. Sad this is how they have to handle business. Santander does this intentionally because they prey on the lower tier credit scores and unfortunately that tier of individual needs them. But don't you worry Santander I won't ever go back to having a loan with your company again. Thanks for nothing. Great reputation.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I was with Alphera Financial for my Auto Loan. Have been religiously making payments from my bank online. However I just found out accidentally checking Credit Karma to see my score and find out I have a late payment with a company I do not know. I find out Alphera transferred my loan to Santander without alerting me. But payments have been going to Alphera for 5 months now so I was totally caught off guard. Now I'm in the middle of attempting to straighten up this mess. So terrible the way these loan people do business. They should be fined and put out of business as I see other similar complaints. EXTREMELY POOR EXPERIENCE as I also registered with online to catch these sort of things. Very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I purchased a 2012 Ford financed with SANTANDER. "THE DEVIL" should be their name, but anyway my APR was 27%. I made all my payments on time, but as time went on I kept hearing people talking pure ** about them. So I thought I would refinance to get away from "the devil", but guess what. I was 5000 negative equity, so no credit union would pick me up. I tried trading it several times. No luck.

My value vs my payoff was crazy. Purchased price was 11 thousand in 3 yrs. Only 35 dollars was going towards my car. The rest was the crazy interest. Mind you my payments was 295 a month, but July of 2018 I was granted the opportunity to do a trade to finally get away from them with a low ARP of 5.59. I gave up earlier in the yr, but my prayer was answered. Anyone who is reading this don't give up hope. Keep trying on yeah. Now I have a brand new car 2018. Had only 3 miles on it. SANTANDER CAN KISS MY BUTT NOW. They prey on people with bad or no credit people. I learned my lesson.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

We have been trying to resolve an outstanding debt with Sovereign (Now Santander Bank) since 2004. It has been nothing but a nightmare. Not to mention from a recent trip to the county courthouse they applied the mortgage on record as collateral for the SBA loan twice. When our water pipe broke and put in a Home Owner claim with our insurance company we found out that one of their employee's name was listed as an owner on our home and was listed as a signer on the check! After repeated multiple attempts to resolve the outstanding debt with the bank and two lawyers later the bank turned us over to the Department of Treasury.

Now that it has been turned over to them we thought it was finally over and we could reach a starting point to start paying down the debt. NOT. Bank statements from the bank were showing all payments made to Santander since wage garnishment started and also any other payments made. For almost a year now no payments are showing on the statements. We were told by a bank employee, "You have to see the person that opened the account". REALLY? The whole department (Business banking/SBA loans) were fired not long after we signed our loan with them back in 2001. And she also said, "Good luck!" The SBA asked for all our statements and are now investigating Santander.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I paid my car off back in July on the 13th. I called them a week later to ask about my title because nobody said anything about sending it out to me. When I called I noticed that they had removed my name and number from the registry. Finally I get a operator and she says it will be mailed on the 31st. Well fast forward to August 20th. Oh and I work for the post office. I called them to see what is going on and I am having the same registry issue as before but I can hear someone on the phone typing or pushing buttons. Then I realized that they were really ignoring me hoping that I would just hang up so I stayed on the phone for a total of 40 minutes until they finally acknowledged me. This is how I know they knew who I was is because she said my first and last name. Also asked about my car the same as they do when you are a paying customer.

Now I am really upset. I asked when was I going to receive my title and the girl said it had been mailed on the 31st. I asked from where and I asked for the address and phone number. She told me then asked me why did I need to know. I told her that I work for the US Postal Service and that I was going to research this company to make sure that they were real. Well within 4 days I received my title and to no surprise my title was post dated for August 20th not July 31st.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I refinanced my car, back in my March 2018. Since then, I’ve been calling Santander several times in regard to my gap refund. They advised they sent my gap cancellation but after calling my gap insurance, they advised they never received it. This is frustrating and nobody is following up.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I paid off my loan with Santander in June of this year. I called in July asking about the title. The customer support agent stated the title was mailed to my old address. Not sure why considering I received several letters from Santander at my new address but no worries the post office was still forwarding my mail for another 3 weeks. I called today checking on my title and was informed that the state of Georgia has a hold on my title due to back taxes, now I am upset. I go to the local tax office and I owe nothing. Check with the state I owe nothing. Check with the county we previous lived in, nothing is owed. I even called North Carolina to verify. They did not have an issue, nothing. Time for a lawyer!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I went to a tax preparer who should of filed my taxes. I used my Bank Credit Card to pay for the services. The tax preparer never filed my taxes. The tax preparer was arrested and indicted on charges of fraud. He was filing taxes under a fake EID number and had been under investigation. There is also an open case with the town Police department for which I have contacted the detective for theft of services with this tax service. I provided the bank with reviews, the detective name, phone number and a copy of the indictment against this Tax Preparation Office. Santander has denied my claim 3 times stating that the claim stops with the Credit Card Point of Service app known as Square Up. I did not know this app/product was being used but then again why would this matter.

However, it seems that Santander refuses to go after the merchant and has accepted the transaction records from Square as proof that they did everything as they should. The issue is not did they charge me for the service. The issue is the service was never provided - the taxes were not filed and the tax preparer SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS. Santander does not care. They told me to file a claim in small claims court and get an attorney. This is ridiculous. It is unfair that one of the very few times that I used my Bank Card has proven to be a painful mistake and show me that Santander DOES NOT protect its customers from FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY and FRADULENT MERCHANTS. It is a shame that after over 20 plus years as a loyal customer Santander has turned its back on me!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I am so upset right now. I don't have the words to express! I had my car with Santander for 3 yrs now. (Not to mention I have been paying this car with no hopes of even bringing down the balance). I came into some financial issues where I was without a job for a couple of months. Santander so graciously offered to "defer" two months and place them to the back of my loan so I can remain current. I esigned the paperwork and sent it to them right away and I was under the impression that everything was back to normal.

Here and there I would make half payments in which they would approve (a little late) but never to any alarming extent enough to be repossessed. Lo and behold, I went to make another half payment like agreed upon when I spoke to them and couldn't get through the automated for checking account, debit, or online. I was frustrated and I couldn't stay on hold to pay $10.00 fee that they wouldn't waive so I opted to pay via bill pay with my bank. I made the payment on Friday, it cleared on my end and it hadn't cleared on theirs so they took my car!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Their customer service never helped me one time as much as I had contacted them. I spoke to the manager once concerning this, and was told the problem would be taken care of. It never was. I paid over $5000 in one year on my vehicle and the balance only went down by $1000. These people just take the money for the interest. They care less about the customers. Recently I got rid of the car just to get away from Santander Consumer. The auto dealer I spoke with told me he has heard about how bad they are, and they should not be allowed to stay open. I agreed with him completely. I have told lots of people to stay away from them. I cannot even give them a one star at all. Thank goodness I have gotten away from them!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

After paying on time and more than the minimum payment due for almost three years, this company reversed a payment causing me to be a month late. They then reported this late payment to the credit agencies, causing my score to drop 85 POINTS. My once great credit (that I had been working so hard on), is now considered ‘below average’. Stay away! This will be on my report for 3 years now.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I locked myself out of mobile banking and called for assistance. First, BRANDON told me that he could not assist me and that I needed to go to a branch with my ID. I asked to speak with his supervisor, and LINDA comes on to help me. Linda is extremely helpful. As I finish with Linda, she puts me back into the automated system, I encounter a problem, and end up back with BRANDON. BRANDON proceeds to tell me that Linda has made a mistake by believing me and that I am not who I say I am. He says several times, “Good for you, you got over. You are not Donna—-.” I immediately went to a branch office to make sure BRANDON had not done something to my money. Worst experience.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have been paying on my car payment for 10 months now, the car was $16,000, after 10 months I still owe 15,800! How is this possible? This is a scam. Please avoid this company at all cost. I am trying to refinance at another bank, but because it looks like I paid nothing toward the car I am upside down, and no other bank wants to refinance it

Santander Consumer USA Company Information