1.19/5
Based on 101 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a loan company?

1182 Santander Consumer USA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

Chrysler Capital, worst nightmare. Run away from them and seek other car loan companies. They apply outrageous fees. In addition, they have horrible customer service. They state they can send you chat transcripts because they don't want you to have proof of what their supervisors say. I have been told that they would remove the fees and they keep on adding. Stay away! It is a nightmare dealing with this company. They don't care about their customers.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I purchased a 2011 Ford Edge Ltd on Nov, 23, 2013 and it was about 21k. My credit wasn't great but it wasn't horrible, I was in the high 600's and they're charging me just shy of 19% interest. I've been making payments of $610.00/mo for 5 years now and I still owe $17,000; my car is now only worth 9-10k max. I'm now on disability and I can't afford to pay the difference to get rid of it. Most car loans allow you a 10 day grace period for payments, not Santander. I'm also charged $31/mo for late fees if I'm one day late and the interest is 90% of my payment. To date, I've paid $37,820 for the car and still have 2 years to go. So, I've already paid $16,000 over the original price and to trade it in I have to pay off the 8k difference. I find this to be so disgusting. To take advantage of people who have not a bad credit score but, not a perfect score either, should be illegal.

I get it, not everyone has perfect credit and they're a higher risk but, if all of their previous car loans were paid in full and all payments were on time and their credit score is in the mid to upper 600's, 19% interest on top of all the fees they charge you; did I mention I also get charged to make a payment? Not even making a payment is free. It's robbery!!! I'll never do business with Santander again and if you're 1 day late they call you 4-5 times a day, every day, and harass you. So my 21K vehicle will cost me a total of $45,820. If that's not robbing people blind and taking advantage of people I don't know what is. Santander's business model and customer service suck.

I had my previous car loan through Capital One and when I lost my job in 2009, they worked with me to keep my payments current, they stopped charging me late fees and they refunded all of my previous late fees. They went above and beyond to help me keep up my payments and waived other fees so my loan wouldn't end up being more than when I purchased it. Santander doesn't give a damn, they refuse to waive anything or help their customers in any way, they just keep piling on fees to the loan balance so you never get out from being upside down. No one should EVER have to pay MORE THAN DOUBLE the price of a vehicle. How is this even legal???

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have had a loan with Santander USA since 2014. The original loan amount was 21000. I have paid over 10000 towards the loan, but I still owe more than the original loan amount. I owe more than the car is worth. At this point I feel like I will never pay this car off. Can anyone advise?

Original review: June 15, 2018

I attempted to recover my car, after a repossession, this month. They told me to get the car back, was $2100, called back two days later, and said that the amount to get the car back would now be $3700. What a bad practice now to be upfront amount fees due. This is bad loan practice, besides every agent told me a different amount, how does that happen, this company does not care about what the consumer says or does, they just do not care, all they care about is money. Do not use Santander Consumer for any loans, or any bank dealings. They are not to be trusted, and are rude, and lie.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I bought a vehicle with a specific lender to find after that that they transferred me to Santander without my approval. I had a surgery and was behind my payments for 3 months, they repossessed my vehicle. Refused to remove the fees. Adding a couple of thousand dollars to my bill didn't help at all. Very rude and not helpful at all. I do not recommend them at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: June 12, 2018

I cosigned for a car for my daughter which I end up being responsible for and cannot get hold of anyone in customer service and cannot create an online account and I am using the information straight from the bill. No one should have to spend hours in a day just trying to make an online account for car payments. Thank you.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have deposited 2 checks within the daily limit set by the online banking. The funds left my account at the other bank on 05/29 and as of 06/04 it is still not available. Where is this money? It is at Santander but they will not recognize it because it is convenient to the bank just be slow while my money is been used and I’m been charged interest from my overdraft account or maybe this is just another of the several problems in the bank Technology. PS: This was not the first time I deposit a check and the previous compensation was always 2 business days. Also, it took me 3 phone calls and more than 7 minutes on average on hold before someone picked up the phone. On Saturday, 06/02 I spent 57 minutes on the phone and didn’t get a satisfactory answer to my request. I was told the delay was because they are having problems with one of their systems...

Original review: May 31, 2018

I purchased a 2012 Hyundai Sonata in 2/2013. The car was 25k brand new. My down payment was 6k with interest. I would pay in total 24k by the end of my loan. While I don’t have a perfect record I pay my bill. It’s been 5 years on a 6 year loan. I now owe 22k. I pay 590 a month! How is that possible?!!

Original review: May 30, 2018

My daughter bought a car in 2011, which Santander financed. It was for 6 years. She had put 5 payments back on loan, then got behind 2. The car should had been paid off next April. Car went back in March. It was falling apart. We were trying to make it last. Well, car would had never gotten paid off. Interest rate was 25%. Had no clue considering it was not listed on paperwork. We are at the same about 5 years later where it started. This finance company is a complete joke. Not to be stopped. Maybe it's time to fight them. Not sure what is next.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I opened my acct. at Santander 6/2/2017 and I have had nothing but problems since then. From not being able to access online, to having to reset my personal info every time I try to go online. I have had money stolen from my acct. There is always a new person there who does not give a damn! They tell you 1 thing and they do another. Frankly I'm fed with Santander Bank!!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

My husband and I’s account was transferred to Santander from Alphera just recently on our auto loan. Coincidentally, we traded in the truck right when the switch happened. I figured there may be a few hiccups along the way, but never would I have imagined people who honestly don’t care at all. We had payments automatically taken out by a third party that we have never had problems with. Since Alphera was sold out, it was never communicated to the third party that the truck had been paid off, so payments kept getting drafted out of our account after the fact. I called the third party and took care of that but they had already sent the money totaling $805 to Santander in the form of a paper check so they couldn’t cancel it because it had already been cashed.

I have been on the phone with Santander multiple times a week trying to figure out what I need to do to get my $ back. What I don’t understand is why I can never talk to the same person twice. Every time I call them I have to explain my situation, then they tell me the same thing & refer me to a supervisor who says the same things as well. First I had to send in faxes of our bank account to prove it came out and now they’re saying it could take 8-12 weeks to get our money back. I’m not saying finances can’t be tricky, BUT I know it’s not that hard to see they have our money and we don’t even have that truck anymore.

My biggest complaint is they don’t seem to care, at all. $805 is a lot of money when you have a mortgage, other vehicle payments and children. I doubt any of them would appreciate that much being taken out of their account and someone saying you might can have it back... and if you do, it’ll be 2 or 3 months. I need my money back, they have it, and seem to have an issue with giving it back. They need to get the stuff together. I also keep hearing, “our account team has reviewed your account and cannot give us any information about $805, yet” so when I ask to speak with someone from accounting, I can’t because customer service is the only ones with phones. I’m just really tired of getting the runaround when I just want the money back that’s mine in the first place.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I sent a payoff check to the address provided by the CSR and I have confirmation that the check was received and signed for at the address provided. I even have confirmation that it was sent directly to the mail room and signed for by a C. ** on Wednesday May 9, 2018. HOWEVER, SANTANDER CONSUMER USA HAS NO RECEIPT OF THE PAYMENT. I am working directly with a manager, whom hasn't called me back once. I've called him several times, only speaking with him once and leaving messages for a return call in the other instances. I have provided the manager with everything they've asked me for, amount, tracking number, etc. To-date they still have no receipt of the payoff check even though I have confirmed where it was sent, what date it was sent and who signed for the delivery at the exact time! Horrible unaccountable service!

Original review: May 21, 2018

On Feb 3 we spoke with leasing dept about turning in our closed end lease on our Durango. We would turn in 6 month early because we purchased another Chrysler vehicle. Told no problem. Now they are saying they will not waive turn on few and we cannot get any money back on prepaid lease. After working for Chrysler for 30 years and purchased a lot of cars for us and family this is how we get treated. No more Chrysler for us or family. Guess we become Ford people.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I purchased a vehicle back in 2008 and my loan was sold off to Santander Consumer USA. I had a 6 year loan with a pay off in 2014. Each month when I made my payments via their automated system, I was given a different amount for balance due. This went on for another 2 years, paid off in March 2016 I thought. When I called about my title I was advised that the loan was paid off, however I still owed them almost another $1000.00 in late fees and miscellaneous fee before they will give me my title. I would never recommend anyone to do business with this company. My loan was for $27k, and I've paid over $40,000.00 and they say I still owe them. Santander is a consumer RIP OFF and yes a class action should be filed against them. I will never do business with this company ever again and the public needs to be aware of the scams they are pulling.

Original review: May 17, 2018

The most indescribably wretched business experience I have ever had. My car is a 2007 Saturn Sky Red Line that I have been paying for now going on 7 years. Had numerous health issues and found out the late payment each month is almost $100 dollars. Called and asked to speak with a supervisor but always put on hold until my patience became exhausted. Still paying with the car worth not even a fraction of what I have paid. So disgusted. Can't put it into words - whatever you can do and no matter how desperate you are for a car don't allow yourself the horror of this company.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Like everyone else, my original loan was sold to Santander without my knowledge. Two years of making payments of $557 a month and the balance of the loan is only $2-3,000 less than when the loan originally started. This bank is from Spain. They need to go the hell back. They come here to the U.S. to cheat us civilians and disrespect our military. The U.S. Dept of Justice had to go after Santander for repossessing the cars of U.S. military deployed overseas (Service Members Civil Relief Act) What type of treatment do you expect from a foreign bank that does that to the U.S. military?!!

Original review: May 16, 2018

This has to be the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I was a new customer, kicked over to them by my old bank, Alphera. Could not log in to the Santander website, so called the Santander number to make a free payment via their automatic processing. Put in all info and was told by the robo-voice that the payment couldn't be made. Got sent to customer service -- Shareece in Barbados -- who flat out refused to assist me. She said I could pay over the phone with her if I paid a surcharge (i.e., pay them to give them money). Otherwise, I could go back to either the website or the phone processing. Well done, Shareece! I'll be paying my debt in full in a few days and hope I never have to deal with you or your shady company ever again.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I purchased a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta (VIN# 3VWRM71K39M098551) from 404 Automotive Group in April of 2016. The vehicle was financed through Santander Consumer USA, thus a lien was placed on the car. I paid the remaining balance to Santander in April of 2018. As stated on the Ga.gov website (https://dor.georgia.gov/how-release-lien-and-security-interest-title) I was expecting the title after 5 days of processing the final payment. Santander sent me a release of lien notification (without the title) that stated I needed to take it to DMV for the title. The DMV informed me that I need the physical title from Santander, however when the DMV looked into their database they could see that the title was not printed by the dealership and thus not sent to Santander with the original paperwork that was created in April of 2016.

So the DMV suggested that I go to the dealership to see why the delay. So I traveled to the location of the dealership (2727 Paces Ferry Rd SE # 750 Atlanta, GA 30339-4053) and to my surprise, there was another business occupying the space and the receptionist there said they had not been there for over a year. I tried to access 404 Automotive website (http://www.404automotivegroup.com), however it does not work. I tried calling their phone number, but the phone number goes directly to voicemail. I left numerous messages and called at various times with no success. It is obvious they are out of business.

I contacted Santander and they stated they are working with the Secretary of State to try and get the title. However, there are a few things that still does not seem right. The dealer should have sent the title and paperwork two years ago (https://dor.georgia.gov/licensed-motor-vehicle-dealer-responsibilities), since they had not send it... I now realize I was paying for a car that was not technically owned (by lien) by Santander since they never received the paperwork which by law, as I understand it should have been submitted within 30 days of purchase. Two years later, after paying for the car and the remaining balance, I now understand Santander never received all the paperwork, so they could not send the title after five days of receiving the final payment (https://dor.georgia.gov/licensed-motor-vehicle-dealer-responsibilities).

I feel this is more than a mistake but fraudulent activity on the part of Santander since for over 2 years they never had all the paperwork which included the title. My current situation is that I have purchased a vehicle, financed the vehicle through Santander, paid consistently over two years, paid the remaining balance for the vehicle and the result: I do not have a title indicating ownership. Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Received notice from Alfera saying they sold my account to Santander and it stated I would receive package from Santander. I waited. Nothing came. So called Santander to make a payment. Was shocked when they say I owe Nine hundred and something because I'm late. So when a customer service rep came on the phone it sounds like she was in a tunnel and could not hear her. I literally had to yell for her to hear me and still I heard a faint voice on the line. Finally, she decides to pick up the phone and talk. At that point heard her just fine. She tells me my payment is late so need to pay next month payment on top of my current payment.

Explained that I never received anything from them. At this point she confirmed my address. Then she said they were going to send a package but didn't have information to send it. I explained I had no trouble with Alfera sending me information so why were they having trouble. NO EXPLANATION. At this point I told her wanted to make a payment. She then said she was going to charge me for taking a payment. I said, "This is your fault for not sending me information to set up payments." She then said she would transfer me automatic payment. I went to automatic but they wanted an account number which I didn't have because they never sent out the package. I will be paying off this loan so I don't have to deal with this HORRIBLE company that can't send out information to make payments on time. I still have no account number so this account can be verified.

Original review: May 3, 2018

So I have a car loan the original price was around 7400. I had recently got the payment down to 6880... but it's funny how it had jumped back up to 6903. In the payment history it said the payments have gone through. I sent in a payment again for 176.00 because I can afford so much. They are saying I'm 17 days past due for 197.73. But how is that possible when I made the payments on the 15th for 160.00... the 26th for 170.00 and today's payment for 170.00... add that up its 512 dollars. So basically they are ripping me off because I have never had that happen. I am extremely bothered by this and I will get a lawyer.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Harassed me for a week. Very unprofessional reps, gentleman wanted a strong argument (literally got on the phone to argue) and anything I said had a very smart response like he knows it all (he should pay my bills then too). Sold my vehicle which means the loan through them was done with but they still haven’t reported it which messed up my Credit. They are a small bank with not enough people working there so when you’re on hold (over 20 mins) they will repeatedly say “high call volume” which is such a lie. Don’t recommend them to anyone. Just go somewhere else and save the headache.

Original review: April 21, 2018

We purchased a vehicle and paid on it for six years. I called them to see really how much longer we have till this loan is paid off. We pay $467 a month and they told me we still owe $12274.85 so I looked at last year's bill. For April we owed a little over $15,000. So paying $467 a month for a year we didn't even pay loan down $3000. I called to see if I could refinance to lower interest. They said they don't do that. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET SCREWED OVER. You'll pay back over twice as much as they paid for you to get vehicle. I repeat. Do not go with Santander Consumer for anything. It's a bottomless money pit.☹️

Original review: April 16, 2018

I got a car loan. My credit was not good at the time so I ended up with Santander with their 25% interest. Though the payment was high I was having little trouble paying for the car until I got a cancer diagnosis and had to pay bills associated with that. I called Santander and they did give me an extension (moving that months payment to the end of the loan therefore extending time to maturity). This worked for the months that I needed the extra money to be able to get my treatments. Then I decided since my payments had been on time and my credit score had gone up that I would refinance so to get my payments down as the cancer was taking a real financial toll.

I applied to my bank for a loan. They said that I qualified for the loan but unfortunately not for the car I had as I owed more than the car was worth and did from the beginning of my loan. So I went back to Santander to see if they would refinance for me or modify the existing loan to allow me to pay it off. They could not do that and so I fell behind by one payment and had a discussion with them about whether they would repossess the vehicle and I was told as long as I am making at least a partial payment each month that they would work with me to keep that from happening and that if they found it necessary to do so that they would notify me ahead of time. This was a lie because little short of a month later they came without notice and took the car leaving me no way to get to the cancer center.

Called them again and asked if there was any way they could redo the loan or modify it so I could continue to pay it off. I was told no but I could reinstate the loan and if I made the next two payments then the loan would reach maturity then they could look into doing some kind of modification for me. No guarantee and they wanted more money to get it back then I was able to pay as they very well knew. So on top of having cancer I have lost my transportation to get to the treatment center and the stress has caused all kinds of problems with my blood pressure and heart condition.

This company is Definitely a predatory lender. The parent company Banco Santander who is out of Spain Holds Santander Consumer USA Holdings Incorporated who is in turn the parent company for Santander Bank and Santander Consumer USA along with other companies it is now picking up including RoadLoans.com and Chrysler Capital. Be very careful if you are getting a loan to take the time to investigate the lender all the way back to where it started from. You may be surprised that your hard earned paycheck is going offshore...

Original review: April 12, 2018

I am a current customer of Santander. They do not care for their customers and they have poor customer service. First of all, although I do not have the perfect credit I regret the day I ever walked into Joe Machens Hyundai in Columbia, Missouri and purchased this vehicle. How you help people build credit is not to put them in loan situations where you are aware that the customer may default or pay double for the vehicle they are in. My loan is for 14,000 at 24.99% interest rate for 72 months. Don't be late for a payment. They cannot offer any forgiveness. World class rip-off. I will never get a car loan from these monsters again.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I financed my car in October of 2016, being a young college student with fairly new credit unfortunately I ended up with this finance company with 25% interest and a car payment of almost 400 dollars. After a year I called to refinance to get my payments down only for them to tell me they do not offer that option. That was strike one for me!! The car end up being totaled December the 5th 2017, I made the last payment November 15th and after the wreck my insurance and GAP insurance were responsible for the remaining balance of the car!!

After telling them this they still charge late fees and everything else in the book. My insurance and GAP paid off the rest of the car except for 257 dollars that they claim I owed. I’ve made on time payments, never late up until the car got totaled. When I asked if they could settle the remaining balance with me as I STILL am in college and had been struggling with payments she told me they do not do that!! So what do they do to help their customers?? Nothing! Chase, Capital One, Exeter, all give refinance options and have even settled with my Mom when she owed Chase 2000 dollars. I will not ever go through this finance company again. I cannot wait to pay off this remaining balance and close out my account with them because it is a never ending money cycle and you are stuck!! If you are thinking about financing, go with a better company that cares about their customers and aren’t greedy. This company has a one star, that should tell them something.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I am at the end of my lease. My final payment did not auto withdraw on the normal date, so a day later I paid via their QuickPay (via Western Union, and it costs extra) - thinking maybe I took off my autopay leading up to my final month. The day AFTER I paid (so 2 days late) my auto pay came out, leaving me to have double paid for this final month. Seeing as how it was my final payment, I do not want to double pay. It took several minutes and several people to even SEE I had made 2 payments. They were adamant they could only see 1. Once I got a manager, they saw my 2 payments, and said I would be reimbursed 60 days after my lease was up.

I explained I was now out over $600, and reimbursement in 3 months was not a possibility. After some time, they let me know they could reimburse me in about 5 business days... which they did, and that part turned out fine... Thank you for that. However... 2 weeks later, my account online says delinquent and past due, showing NEITHER payment. If I delve in, I can see the 2 payments I made, and the reimbursement.

The customer service rep kept saying there was no payment. After a few holds, she was able to say a manager could see my payment made (the Western Union online payment) but it hasn't posted yet. I asked when it would, as it has been 2 weeks. She said "I cannot answer that, but all I can tell you is it hasn't posted." Again I stressed the urgency of needing to know this information. She again said "I cannot answer that. Would you like me to ask the accounting department?" YES! YES I WOULD! So, the question is in for me, and really I'll have to call back in a few days and probably do this again. I will be taking my payoff to a credit union and taking over the payments with anyone else.

Original review: April 11, 2018

This is the worst car loan ever!! I bought a used vehicle almost 7 years ago, during a point in my life that I was trying to get back on my feet financially. When I bought the car from CarMax I put $2000 cash down on the purchase. I have made 71 payments to Santander, I called them last week to go over my account with a representative and she told me that I had 70 payments to go to pay the balance off. I have already paid more than twice the original amount of the car (with the higher interest rate that was expected). But to tell me I have 70 payments left on a car that is now 12 years old and holds less than a $4000 Blue Book value is ridiculous. I realize that every payment has not been on time, nor have most of my payments been more than the minimum payment. But to tell me over the phone that my first 3 years of payments was going towards interest only and I have 70 payments to go...

I just cannot allow this situation to affect my health the way it is starting to. To think that Santander was not my only option for financing at the time but the dealer spoke of them like they were one of the best options, makes me never want to do business with CarMax again. I really feel I was mislead at a very vulnerable time in my life when it comes to this loan. Please stay away from Santander, it is for your best interest.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Last year I got a loan through Up2Drive for a 2015 car, for which I paid $10,000 down with a $8500 financed balance, at 3.5% interest rate. Up2Drive is a subsidiary of BMW Bank of America, a highly rated auto financing company. This is our third loan through them, and we have been very successful and happy with their service. Then suddenly, with no advance notice, in April 2018, after almost a year of perfect payment history on this loan, we received an email from Up2Drive telling us that our loan has been sold to Santander. We receive no written documentation of the sale, and no assurance that our interest-rate wouldn't change.

I tried contacting Santander, and they are not willing to discuss anything over the phone. Their website is not operational ("database error"), and they could give me no email address for further communication. They in particular would not confirm that our interest rate is not changing, the balance transferred to them, or the loan payoff amount (which would be a definite giveaway if the interest rate had changed). I did some research and discovered that Santander has a horrible reputation in the industry, and are not even accredited through Consumer Affairs. All Up2Drive will tell me is that this was "a business decision", and that all Up2Drive loans have been sold to Santander. I want to refinance this loan through my local bank, but Santander will not discuss refinancing or any other details of my loan. They say I can write a letter to them.

Santander's reputation is already the lowest possible one-star rating with Consumer Affairs. I would never voluntarily do business with this company and I had a choice. Unfortunately, BMW Bank of America is not giving me a choice. They say there's nothing I can do to reverse the sale. I can't believe this is legal in America, especially given that of detailed review of my contract with Up2Drive shows nothing about them being permitted to sell my loan to a third-party.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Santander should be taken to court for ripping off people. I'm paying over 42,000 for a 2010 Equinox. My mother in law was the owner. She died 2 years ago here. We paying for a car because we was a co-signer. We need to gather together and file a law sued we paying 25.99 % interest a day. That's ridiculous.

Updated on 04/06/2018: After talking to a Santander representative today I found out that in order to pay your bill off on time not before time you must pay two payments, which was never told to us or should I say my mother-in-law who originally took out the loan but has died since then which wouldn't make sense. If you having credit issues how would you be able to pay two payments and they know that so they prey on bad credit. That's like abusing the disabled. There have to be a stop because every day you're gaining interest and you're going to continue to gain it until you pay for it which is never and if you get behind it's going to hurt you even more. This is a loan we will never stop paying for. I don't know if we can get a couple of people together to form a lawsuit against this company. It is a legalized loan shark. Even if we can't, I won't stop until I get some type of legal Justice.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I had a car loan with Santander Consumer USA, I fell and broke my back in July of 2016. I called Santander and asked for a deferment on my account because I was unable to work at the time. I was told they don't do deferments and to just pay what I could when I could and keep them informed of my situation. I fell behind by three months. In August I received a letter from them stating that if I didn't get my payments caught up by the end of the month they would repo my car. I paid them immediately and I thought all was well at that time. I fell behind by three months and again in February of 2017 I was threatened with repo, I made arrangements to get caught up since I was just getting back to work at that time. I got caught up and in March was threaten with repo again and I was ahead on my payments at this time.

I ended up getting an attorney, went through mediation with their attorney who was not happy to see I had legal representation with me. It was agreed that as long as I made my payments on time no action would be placed against me. I learned this year that they put me as a charge off on my credit report and are still reporting that I owe over $6800 on my car even after I traded it in and the dealership paid it off. This should not be on my credit report but I am told that once they place it on there it can not be removed unless they choose to remove it. I contacted Santander and was told they will not remove it. Worst company to work with and I highly recommend that NO ONE use them.

Santander Consumer USA Company Information