1.36/5

Looking for a loan company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1309 Santander Consumer USA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

Can't get back an overpayment of $360. What a horrid excuse of a company. Stay away. After my van was totaled, it has been nigh impossible to get an overpayment for these people. 4 phone calls, and hours of time wasted, no dice. Awful company.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I used them to pay for a car back in 2013. The car was a lemon and I had to do numerous repairs on it and finally got behind on my payments and they repossessed it along with my clothes and briefcase with very important items in it along with my 2 firearms which none were ever returned to me. I wish I could file a lawsuit against them. I can't get another car because they are still on my credit report.

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: March 19, 2019

I bought a GAP insurance through Santander back in 2014, My car suffered a total loss in June 20, 2018... We are now March 18, 2019 and SANTANDER has done NOTHING but say I never bought GAP through them! I have countless withdrawals from them every month where they would deduct my monthly GAP PAYMENT. They are blaming a "3rd party" company now and say they never sold me GAP... Apparently they have "no record" of my payments YET I HAVE ALL MY BANK STATEMENTS and the LETTER coming from them in which they offer me the GAP insurance. They have demolished my credit score because they still continued to charge me my monthly car bills even though it was considered a total loss and THEY took my car! I lost a vehicle, I lost my good credit score and have lost thousands of dollars because of this company! STAY AWAY FROM THEM! RUN!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I was in the process of refinancing my house when unfortunately I could not continue. The mortgage specialist I was working with told me up front...if certain thing did not meet my expectations he would refund the fee that I paid. When I was not able to continue the loan I asked if the fee would still be refunded and he said, "Let me see if I can get this back for you." He made no agreement to give it back but it sounded like he was going to see if he could. I waited a week then 2 then 3 then I emailed then I emailed again then again. At this point I still have not heard anything back... Just another mortgage person working for a bank that could not care less if he is not making any money. I just want you to know I will not recommend this bank to anyone or your mortgage rep to anyone ever!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I bought a car that is financed by Chrysler Capital over 5 years ago. The original sale price was $17,000. I've paid $22,000 and still owe $7,500. The only reason the payoff is that cheap is because I've been paying as much extra as I can every month. The interest rate is 17%!!! That is insane. I was very young, no credit and no idea what I was doing. This is my own fault and lesson definitely learned. However, Chrysler Capital knows exactly what they are doing to people. They refused to refinance it. Even after 2 years and my credit was over a 100 points higher. They are nothing short of thieves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have been with Santander Consumer for 4 months now, I just got a Ford Fusion. I have paid for payments so far at least 20 day before the due date and it looks like every other month they take out more in interest every other month and less principal. And every time I ask them about they have a different excuse. They can't give you a straight, can't wait for the wall to be, because I promise you one thing - this speck's ** will be strapped to a rocket!

Original review: March 15, 2019

Anthony ** located in Mesa Arizona has been really good about working with me on my payments. Thank you very much. I greatly thank you. You are the best. Thank you for explaining how things work with payment.

Original review: March 15, 2019

My girlfriend got her first car and this is the only bank the dealership offered so she went with them. They didn’t contact her and tell her where to call or send money to for her payments. So when she got ahold of them they told her she was two months behind. We caught those up. My girlfriend had a miscarriage a little later which affected our paycheck and we got 2 months behind and a 100 dollars from a partial payment behind. She called them and told them she had the miscarriage and she would be late and the lady told her to make the partial and that would be okay. The day before we got paid to catch up the payments they sent someone to repo it and took the car. When my girlfriend called them to see why they did that the lady treated her like absolute **. She told us we were over 1500 behind after the total we were behind was 750. So it went up from 750 to 1500 because of “late fees.”

My girlfriend explained to them that she talked to someone about it and explained the miscarriage and the hospitalization and the woman told her “that’s no excuse to be late on a payment” and proceeded to ask her every detail of every check she received since she got the loan. This is none of her business. She told us there is no way she could give us an extension or anything even though we were gonna catch the payment up and were told that was okay by another employee. This bank treated us horrible and showed no humanity whatsoever. My final words to this loan place and the lady my girlfriend talked to is ** you.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have read hundreds of the reviews left here and was afraid to take a loan from them as well but did and haven't had any problems thus far. I called customer service and they told me that I was 1 out of 100 individuals who seem to understand how the interest is applied so I figured I would provide an explanation. So for simple interest calculations you have to remember that it is calculated daily based off your APR and remaining principal. So for example if you were approved for a $20,000 loan at 25% APR, 60 months term with monthly payments of $587.03 then your daily interest would initially be the following: Daily interest = (APR/ 365 calendar days) * Remaining Principal = (25%/ 365 ) * $$20,000 = (.0685% ) *$20,000 = .000685 * $20,000 = $13.7 each day (which is freaking high but bad credit got us here) which would mean out of that $587.03 monthly payment, a whopping $417.85 would go towards interest ($13.7 * 30.5 average days in a month).

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO RECOGNIZE ESPECIALLY WITH THE VERY FIRST PAYMENT. If you elect to have your first payment not be due for 45 days (like I did) and only make the required monthly payment when due ( like I did ) you will be behind on the interest (like I was), but not late on the payment because... THE FINANCE CHARGES BEGIN THE DAY YOU SIGN THE FOR THE LOAN!!! Meaning that you will be charged 45 days worth of finance charges: Finance charge = Daily simple interest total since last payment = $13.7 * 45 days = $616.5. And if you only made the first payment (like I did) which is based on 30 days not 45, you can see how after making a monthly payment of $587.03 but owing a finance charge of $616.5 would leave you with a finance charge balance of $29.47. That's how they get you!!!! (Because now you have a balance you didn't even know you had.)

Because everything is applied to the interest first and whatever is remaining towards the principal, while the finance charge compounds daily between payments. I quickly realized this after my first payment, so I immediately made another payment and another one multiple days in a row to test it out. Sure enough my second payment included only the interest accrued from the few days of finance charges since my first payment and because I made my 3rd payment the very next day after my second, the finance charge was slightly less than $13.7 and the rest of my payment went towards principal.

If you never even pay late, only make the required monthly payments, but extended that very FIRST payment out past 30 days of when you signed the contract, guess what? YOU WILL NEVER PAY DOWN YOUR LOAN. YOU WILL BE BEHIND FROM DAY ONE. (That's what they are counting on.) PLEASE CALCULATE YOUR DAILY SIMPLY INTEREST!!! Figure out how much of your payment is going towards that and you will be fine. If you have to pay late just know that the interest doesn't stop so you need to know that when they say everything is applied to interest first, they mean it. (fees and interest get paid prior to principal balances). Think of it like this: Do I have a finance balance since my last payment? Do I have a late fee balance since my last payment? If one of these is yes know that your required monthly payment may not cover all outstanding balances, especially if you are early in the loan.

People trust me it works. I know it sucks but if you have the knowledge you will never be behind the eight ball. Now that I am aware of the way the finance charges work I have paid down sooo much of my principal in comparison to my interest. The more I pay down the lower my Daily simple interest becomes and the more my payments get applied towards principal ( and round and round it goes). Hope this review helps at least one person not feel like they are getting screwed because face it, they are in it to make money so they aren't going to tell you how to save it.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Customer service is ALLOWED to provide misinformation to its customers only to find out you were misinformed down the line and to be told there's nothing they will do for you. I've had a contract for 3 years now. Once have I paid a day late in 37 payments yet I was told anything outside of my normal payment amount goes to interest. This wasn't true and it was applied to interest. The Executive Office is a joke and Steven ** wasn't at all helpful and wouldn't provide me with a manager stating he's the highest possible person I can talk to! How's that if you don't own the company and you're not at corporate? Extremely dissatisfied b Santander's customer service...or lack thereof I should say.

Original review: March 12, 2019

These people take your money every month with no problem. Spend 2 days running in circles because I was approved for a second car only to be told you had to trade my other in. Ummmm kinda defeated the purpose. Way to go to a poor banking system who gives no credit to the ones who pay them. Oh yea, let's not forget my total loan was amount is 42000 on a 25,600.00 loan, hummm. Stay away people. They're bad news!!

Original review: March 10, 2019

Leased a 2018 Ram 1500 in August 2018. Never set up auto pay. I'm old school and have all my bills mailed to me in paper form. I receive all my other bills in the mail EXCEPT for Chrysler Cap. Theirs are hit or miss. The first months bill never got mailed to me. But the first payment was made at the dealer at the inception of the lease. Chrysler Cap said when I called that the first time about no bill that I had a late payment. I pointed out the first payment made but they said the dealer always keeps the first payment. Huh???

I called the dealer and they said no they don't. It goes to Chrysler Cap. Called CC again and that time said it WAS applied. OK. They reversed late fee. And the next month got my PAPER bill mailed to me. Then 2 more the following 2 months. Now I am seeing they did not send my latest 2 paper bills. Showing me behind again. I'm a small business owner and bills come across my desk constantly and are put in date order to pay. And I pay on time each month. But I lose track of Chrysler Cap because no paper bill. And when I discovered this today I see the last payment amount is a smaller amount than what my bank account verifies I paid! So now what with that??

I already thought I had the problem with no bill being mailed to me solved. But I guess not. Being Sunday today of course I can't contact them. Now I have the additional payment amount problem to address too. We're getting off to a rough start. And all these other reviews are worrying me now. So I hope I didn't step in doo doo getting involved with Chrysler Capital! Time will tell.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Plain and simple. I bought a 2013 Ford Focus hatchback, my credit was decent around 570. Got a loan for $14,000 signed and drove off in my new car. Paid ON TIME without fail for 2 and a half years $370 a month. I began to have issues so I was going to try and trade it in or maybe refinance, so I call asking what the payoff is. It was over $16,000!!! Tell me how after over two years of paying without fail, I owe MORE than what the loan was originally for?!? 8 months later, they came and got my car last night as a voluntary surrender. After all fees, interest, and BS the total would have been over $32,000 for a USED sedan with 45 thousand miles on it when I purchased it. Makes no sense at all! I will never work with them ever again, and will tell every soul that will listen how horrible they are.

Original review: March 7, 2019

We had a loan with them for 3yrs. Went to try and buy a different car only to find out that they have not been reporting our payments to the credit bureau so we can't get a loan because it's showing they don't have anything to show we have an account with them for the PayPal. Worse place ever to get a loan. Thought we were building credit only to be slapped in the face with this pretty much saying we aren't building nothing. Will be reporting them to the BBB.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Paid off and they email a letter showing the loan is paid off but they lie and claim a lien release was mailed 12 days ago. Multiple phone calls. All liars at this company. Today I tried to contact them and they hang up because it isn't a valid account number. NEVER use this company if you can help it.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Middle of Dec. 2018 I made a payment on a granddaughter's car loan. I gave Santander Consumer my account and routing numbers to them for only one payment. They took the payment and I thought it was done and over. Without permission on March 1st of 2019 they helped them self to another payment. Now I have to close my account at the bank and start all over again with with 40 bill pays and a lot of direct deposits...and of course they won't refund the fraudulent withdraw they took from my account!!! Run away as fast as you can!!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Do not use Santander for your banking needs!! If I could give them a negative 5 star review, I would!!! I used them for a car loan that I did not need in order to establish credit in 3 payments but they screwed up majorly and I ended up paying it all off in 1 payment after being reassured multiple times I would have a remaining balance after speaking to the representative. They will not do anything to correct their mistake either. So unprofessional. Do not trust these people. They completely screwed my financial future up and they do not even care. Do. Not. Use. Santander!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

When opening up for a new account I was told that I would get a $275 bonus if I had deposits the equal to $1000 in the next 90 days. I reached out to Santander Bank, spoken to a male rep who told me it would be any type of deposits and when I asked where my deposit was at so far he told me $900 and some dollars. This was in Jan and I open the account in Dec. He explained that since I set up $50 bi weekly would put me at the $1000 limit in the beginning of Feb 2019. Feb 2018 I called, a female rep informed me that I did not qualify and I asked why and she stated I did not meet the requirement of $1000. Once I explained, she submitted a claim and told me to call back in 2 business days. I did, a female rep told me it was declined.

I am highly upset. What happened to the customer is always right, what happened to fixing the problem since your rep gave out false info, what happened to customer satisfaction? Not to mention they do not tell you that all of their atm machines do not withdraw your funds, you have to physically go into a branch which is 30 minutes from where I live. A total waste of time and energy. I will be closing my account and telling family and friends to not bank with them. They are unprofessional, do not provide the correct information nor do they fix the issues to make the customer experience more pleasant. Beware of the hidden agenda.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have been with Santander Consumer USA for a car loan for 3 years now, only to find out they have not been reporting to the credit bureaus. Even though they have on their website that they report every month. And they charge you unbelievable amounts OF Interest. Now my credit is not worth a crap. Even though I have made my car payments every month on time or before time. Never late nor missed not 1 payment. And when I called them, they said they don't have to report. Now that tells me be very careful who you get a loan through!!! My Question is still...their website says they report every month to all 3 credit bureaus. But they have not mine. Is that legal?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I have had my auto loan from Santander for the past 3 years now, I have paid my loan on time and diligently for the 3 years. A little over a year ago I filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy and I protected my vehicle and loan from my bankruptcy, my bankruptcy has been discharged and now Santander refuses to report my on time payments for the past 3 years to any of the credit Bureaus. I took this extremely high interest loan as a way to repair my credit and they basically told me they don’t have to and won’t report my on time payments due to my bankruptcy so I pretty much got screwed by this fraud of a lender. STAY FAR AWAY NO MATTER HOW DESPERATE YOU ARE.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I lost my job (found a new one) and contacted this company regarding some sort of extension until I could receive my first paycheck from my new job. I was told yes, they would give me an extension. This was June 2018. My truck was repossessed in November 2018, on a Sunday night. I never received anything advising of my repossession. I checked my bank account and they had taken their monthly payment. When I called the company, I was told they mailed me a letter regarding the repossession on that same Sunday that my truck was repossessed. I told the girl that makes no sense. I NEVER received the letter, regarding repossession, by the way. I was told that my truck was repossessed because I was behind 2 months for payments. I told them that I was told I could have a payment extension due to me just starting a job.

The customer service rep said that she saw no notes about an extension and that I had not been a customer long enough to be granted an extension...???!!!! I finally paid almost $2,000 to get my truck back and these nimrods say that I still owe $1,400 of late fees...?? WTH? The late fees should have been included in the almost $2,000 that I paid to get my truck back. This company is full of crooks. They find extra fees to place on your account so they can make money. I'm working with my credit union to buy out this loan. I cannot take these crooks any longer. They should be put out of business. If this company wants to finance your vehicle or anything...RUNNNNNN. They are crooks.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

They were there when no one else would finance me (or so the lazy girl in the finance dept at the dealership told me). I didn't have terrible credit - just over 600, had record of 2 previously satisfied car loans but yet this was the only company who would take me and at the low finance percent of 18% (still unsure if this is actually legal, I've never paid more than 9%). Desperately needing a car and just wanted to be done with the whole car buying process I agreed. When it came time to sign the papers I read EVERYTHING twice over, I was fully aware that my $18K car was actually going to cost me $30k over the next 5 years. It was a hard pill to swallow but I agreed.

I'm no idiot I'm well aware how the financing process works - first all your payments go to interest and once that's paid THEN your payments get applied to the principal. I think it's a pretty straight forward process and this is how EVERY single lending company works. (I've done this 3 times) I'm not sure why people are complaining about 2 years of payments and they still owe 12K on a 5 year old car. READ the contract you signed. It's right there in black and white and you agreed to it. It's not Santanders fault you didn't pay attention to what you were signing.

My issue with them is the interest percent they charge, it's ridiculous and on top of that they charge you fees with EVERY SINGLE PAYMENT - a few dollars here and there add up. I understand it looks like they are "helping" people down on their luck but to me seems more like taking advantage of people down on their luck. I've been with them for 7 months now and I owe a whopping $17 less on my car than I did when I bought it lol. Once I hit my year mark the first thing I will do is refinance it with literally any other company with a lower finance rate - I highly advise everyone else to do the same.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I have had Santander for almost two years for my loan on my truck. Everything was moving along fine, until out of the blue, they decided to post on my account that I was 30-59 days late on a payment that happened almost a year before. So in other words, they waited almost an entire year before posting that I had a late payment. Yet that month was reported as in good standing up until that point. Which in turn, dropped my credit score significantly.

This payment was reported as being late, yet I had to find out through my credit report. Not once was there any attempt to contact me and resolve this issue. I have been consistently attempting pay more than the amount needed every month for my truck payment, as well as I have made sure to keep great communication on my end if ever there was a mishap. I will ALWAYS tell anyone that I come across to NEVER use Santander. I’m not at all impressed with them and I will be looking to refinance ASAP so as to remove myself from them.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

So, due to all of poor reviews, I was petrified when Fifth Third sold my loan to this company. I was on edge the entire six years of my loan and I just knew the company would screw me, so I said I would write a review once I paid off the vehicle. In actuality, my experience was not bad! I did not get screwed over! Of course, my note was paid early each month and the car loan was paid off in full. There was never a late payment. My payments were reasonable - but I didn't have a crazy interest rate to begin with. I did not have to call customer service much, so I cannot speak to that. The only reason I had to call was to see where my title was. A few weeks later I was told that my local DMV had the E-Title on file. When I went to pick it up, it was there, as they said.

Santander gave me no problems. The only thing that annoyed me and the reason for only four stars is that I would repeatedly get emails saying the number on file was invalid. Not only did they have no reason to call, but the phone number on file was very much valid, as I've had the same number for over 15 years. The first time it happened, I called to make sure that no one was trying to reach me. They said that they hadn't called so they weren't sure why I got the email. After that, I just got the email and ignored it, but it was quite annoying to get it so regularly. Overall, my experience was the same as any other lender. I paid on time, they gave me no crap. I didn't have to wait lightyears for the title that was rightfully mine. I can't say that I would use them again, but I had a pretty reasonable experience overall. Minus the email thing, no complaints from me.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

This is absolute worst company to get a loan through. We had a bankruptcy that was cleared as Chapter 13. It took 5 years to get everything cleared up. Our trustee sent them a letter saying we were able to buy a car. Well we did and what a big mistake. We put down 7000 and we thought all was fine until they stopped us on a payment we do from our banking account. We got that straightened out then they threw us on bankruptcy. We never had them in bankruptcy so now they will not report this to the credit agency so now we don’t have any credit for paying this. Don’t deal with them at all.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We had our loan through Capital Chrysler and then refinanced with Summit credit. Summit Credit Union sent are paid off Amount for the vehicle on December 22 of 2018. Chrysler Financial sent me an invoice for my next monthly bill January 22, 2019. I called them to say they should’ve gotten the pay off amount from Summit Credit Union. One person tells me the check bounced interesting that a cashier's check from a credit union would bounce. Then they said it had insufficient funds. They said that I’d have to talk to Summit because it was their fault.

So six weeks later after Summit Credit Union has gone back-and-forth and they’ve given false names to my credit union and then stating the mailed the check back but now tell them it was destroyed. They then send me a letter 2 days ago stating we still owe 97.21. Capital Chrysler is a horrendous company lying and then trying to get more money. This is a company I will never do business with again. They think they can keep saying money is owed when I have all records it is paid in full. Never again. Do not use them for your vehicle loan it will be a nightmare.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Well my credit score got pummeled due to people not keeping their end of the deal. So Santander was the only finance company that would get me a car. And so far it's been a disaster. We've paid up to 4 months in advance and still we get hit with the, "Your payment is past due." We got financed for $11,500 and have been paying on it for 14 months now and we get a letter saying we still owe $10,600. So honestly where is the money going? Not to my car note. We're even thinking about telling them to just come and pick the car up. Sincerely, A very unsatisfied customer.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I don't understand why it's taking over a month for them the pick up their car. I'm done! You make payment arrangements and then they so-called don't have it in the system and pick up your car hours before you make the payment that you made the payment arrangements for, but it takes them a month to say they're coming to get a car. I've taken my tags off, I've taken the insurance off and they need to come pick up their crap. This is the worst company. I would not refer my worse enemy to you all. This company doesn't even deserve a 1/2 a star.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I had a 3 year lease on my car and was charged property taxes from 2 separate counties for almost all of it. Once I got the mistake fixed with the separate counties, Chrysler Capital continued to insist I owed these property taxes in both counties even though they had been reimbursed by the one that was incorrectly charging me. In addition, they don't let you talk to the property tax department. Everything has to be done through the mail and even then they just ignore you. These guys are the worst. Buy a different car.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I purchased a vehicle that required GAP insurance in Maryland, at the time I paid around $700 for peace of mind with GAP insurance in case my vehicle was ever totaled. After years of making payments just recently, my vehicle was unfortunately totaled. I spoke with Santander immediately and they said that after the insurance paid their part, that I had GAP coverage that would pay the remainder. Long story short, that company apparently was not real, and even though for years, Santander, charged me money for a fake GAP policy, they are still coming after me for the remaining balance. How unfair and unethical! Now I get calls daily to pay the balance, and they are adding on late fees each month and hitting my credit negatively each month as well. Help!!!

Santander Consumer USA Company Information