Find a Loan Companies partner

Help me decide

1.1/5 (35 ratings)
Find a Loan Companies partner

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

About Santander Consumer USA

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

Santander Consumer USA Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Horrible service!!! Zero accountability, beware! So far worst finance company I ever dealt with. After 3 months of chasing down an overage payment after I refinanced with another company, they washed their hands, and allegedly sent off my refund to an unknown company in the form of a prepaid card...I didn't authorize this. After 6 calls or so following up with them, they give inconsistent updates and each customer service agent uses id #s to sound good but it is meaningless since they are Not of help anyway. If there was no stars on the review it would be better. Their phone 1888-222-4227. At this point I just about given up on my refund...so if you have time to waste and money to burn, deal with them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Dear heavens stay away from this company. I financed with them when I bought my daughter's car. Now I have refinanced the car with a credit union closer to home and they have lost the payoff check or applied it to another account. When I call they say there is no way that the check could have been misapplied. I asked how that's possible if a human being is keying in the numbers and she just went silent. So in order for my account to stay under the 30 day deadline so it doesn't affect my credit I am going to have to make another payment to these horrible people. I don't see how anyone could work for this company with a good conscience. Worst customer service I have ever encountered!!

Get buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

Paid car off ahead of time, was never late on payments, never received title, called every month just about and got the runaround, every time spoke to someone got different answers, was told that title was mailed out but didn't put APT number and title was sent to motor vehicle, then told that we needed release of loan paper which they were supposed to send out to me but never received that either, called again and they didn't even have a account for me, still 9 months later and I haven't received the title, would never get a loan from them again, no one knows what they are doing and you can never get a straight answer.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I am so disappointed with the treatment Santander has presented me. I asked the Senior Advocate to investigate how my forbearance was presented to me by a Santander representative as I was told my loan would be frozen throughout the forbearance period and any missed payments would be added to the end of the loan and my loan would be extended by that time frame. I was on the call with the Hope Hotline, an organization Santander lists on the payment voucher as well as the call was recorded. It was never communicated to me that the payments were not frozen, but being forgiven and that I was incurring interest the entire time.

Fast forward to the end of my forbearance period, I am only being given the option of paying the lump sum including interest I should not have been incurring on a frozen loan, to either the end of the loan as a one lump sum payment, paying it all now or having the amount plus the interest spread across a new 40 year loan, essentially paying interest on interest. The Senior advocate did confirm that the loan was “paused,” but that it was a miscommunication that I would not be incurring interest. When we speak she hasn’t presented to me any information from the original call that Hope Hotline participated in and instead of helping come up with a mutual solution, she has just continued to push the same agenda that my loan was frozen, but I am still responsible for paying interest on my frozen payments.

All I ask is that Santander stand by the original agreement that my payments were frozen and I should not have accumulated the $6,000 in interest during the time the loan was paused. There is a recording of the conversations and you can review them at any time. I have had to take further action and report Santander to the Better Business Bureau and the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. Please note, Santander has not actioned either complaint since the phone call Phyllis made reiterating that I was just confused and didn’t understand the terms and it has been a month since the first complaint was filed.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I would give it 0 stars if it allowed me, but 1 will have to do. The representatives do not work with the customers at all and are VERY unprofessional. Their systems online to make a payment takes too long and YOU as the customer gets penalized for it when it is something that should have been taken out within that day or the next day and not 3-5 days.. They never gave me notice officially that my car was going to be repossessed. Even when I had the money in hand to make a payment to get current, they would not reinstate the terms. I guess they don't like getting money from customers. If anyone has a loan through them, just refinance with another company because they don't work with you and always against you for their faulty systems. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Santander.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

I purchased a 2011 BMW 750i just over 6 years ago. I made 72 payment on time and then, in October last year I traded the vehicle in at AutoNation Greenacres Florida. Subsequently, I received notice in December 2020 that Santander USA filed a 30 late notice on my account. I spoke with the Director of Finance at AutoNation and he provided me a letter on their letterhead that due to Covid 19 they had a shortage of staff and thus the final payment was delayed. So after 72 months (6 years of on-time payments), the dealership admits wrongdoing in a document signed by the Director of Finance. I also had my attorney provide a letter that stated that once I conveyed the vehicle to the dealership that I was no longer responsible for the vehicle. Thus, after providing these documents personally to Santander and Experian, and then after hiring Lexington Law to submit our case, Santander has yet to remove the 30 day late.

I'm an investor and my credit is imperative. My next step is to file a lawsuit against Santander USA and I may be able to pursue damages. They are liable and have a duty to acknowledge the auto dealership's admission of providing the late payment and the attorney's statement. I am now trying to obtain the contact name and address for service of process regarding this matter. Stay away from Santander, once you've completed a purchase they forget who you are. Buy American and Finance with a reputable bank in the good ole USA!!!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

If you are thinking about getting a car loan from them don’t even think about it! We’re in the middle of COVID-19 where everyone has lost their jobs and they make it seem like they wanna help you but they don’t! They told me to just start making small payments on my car and when I get employed all I have to do is make up for the money that I owe them. Nope! Instead they sneak and repossess my car without giving me any heads up or anything. No emails, no phone calls, no nothing.

I called them and asked why my car was taken away and all they said was, "We tried calling and left messages but no response," and I checked my phone history and messages and they only left one message in July and it is now October, like one message is supposed to do anything. I was only two months behind on my payments and I always pay on time and I was making my small payments because they told me as long as I do that the car won’t be repossessed. They took it away anyway! I explained to them I have the money that I owe on the car just give me till the next day because that’s when I get paid and my job called me back in to work. I am also pregnant. They sent out a letter to management and these idiots still said no! My car was all I had too.

Now I’m not sure how me and my unborn child is going to get around. Let alone get to work safely since a lot of women are going missing. And what I don’t understand is if you have the money to pay for the missing months you haven’t paid why still say no??? The lady I spoke to on the phone that sent the letter was very rude! All these idiots can say is that they're sorry and there’s nothing that they can do. Now my credit is all jacked up and I have a repossession in my name because they don’t care about their customers! Please don’t get a loan from them! I wish I can give this company zero stars and sue them!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

My son with high gpa wanted to upgrade his car. This competition I took advantage of my family. Even though I had an investigation with the attorney I had my sons towed away this morning. They approved a loan on a mom who only receives $1800 a month. They sold me a car worth $26000 for $66000. They thrive on the disabled. I have be more than happy to provide proof

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

The most deceptive and dishonest company that I have ever dealt with. They added thousands onto my auto loan after I got a 6 month extension during unemployment with COVID. No one can truly understand a 7 page contract with confusing mumbo jumbo about how much the additional fees and interest would accrue. Bottom line is they added 4400 in addition to the interest I would ordinarily pay. All while they were likely getting government bailout assistance because of covid. I have two other auto loans that treated me fairly under the same circumstances. The owners of this financial institution are outright opportunistic thieves.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I sold my car to an individual and Santander would only take online payments for 2999 per day. So it took me three days to pay the car off and when I called for a title they said, "No. You have to get a Fedex account and then have it sent to you." After doing that they said, "No. You need to get a statement from your bank saying you won’t cancel the payments before we release the title." It’s maddening!!! I sold my car to an individual 2 weeks ago, paid it off and they still won’t release the title. Ridiculously high interest rates and Horrible customer service!

Santander Consumer USA Company Information