1.29/5

Looking for a loan company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1275 Santander Consumer USA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I have poor credit, but I found a late model car that I fell in love with. I had a down payment, but my own bank wouldn't give me a loan for it. Santander was the only one who would. I had never heard of them, the dealer dealt with the whole thing. The interest was high, but it was my only option, so I accepted it and drove away that day. When I got home, I researched the bank and was terrified of the reviews I read here. I thought I had made a big mistake.

Well, they did EVERYTHING exactly right by me! I paid extra every month from day one, I was never late, the payment was credited to the principal correctly, I had zero complaints. When the principal withered down to under $2000, I mailed one last check to pay it off. When I checked my account 3 days later it was closed. I don't understand all of these bad reviews! My loan was for 4 years, I paid it off in exactly two and never had a problem. Thank you Santander! I am driving the car I wanted but couldn't afford to pay cash for only because you were there, nobody else would take a chance on me, not even my own bank. Sure, the interest is high, I have poor credit! My FICO score is under 600! Yet, they loaned me what I needed and I appreciate that. I would gladly accept another loan in the future from this bank with gratitude! They held up their end of the bargain exactly as agreed.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I don’t know how to begin and where to finish, because what I’m going through with them; is the same thing almost everyone experienced. They’re money hungry, not honest people at all. This company is full of it... The employees do not know what they’re doing when it comes to solve a customer problem, but they know how to increased money on your account for the gain of their pockets. I really really wish someone or a lawyer could help me with my situation. But it is not the case, this company going to pay for all the damage it cost me and to others. I just give them from today until January 30th 2019 to solve my problem. If is not fix by this date; then they will know who’s the master of life, and it’s time to not standing for or be focused on money only.

I work very hard to make money, and very honest on what I’m doing. I have been paying a car of $13,000 for almost 2 years. How come my pay off is still $12,925.90? This is something that I realized from them, every time you check your car pay off, they increased the money next month which is something that’s very unfair to customers. They think they have the power to do whatever they want to customers, but they forgot the powerful that can shut them down in a fraction of a second.

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

What a bunch of crooks and thieves. I've been paying this company for my car for about 5 years already. Never missed a payment and they always set up a payment date when I haven't received my check from work. I had a payment date authorized and set up to pay the monthly fee on my financed car and they end up repossessing and towing my car away. They even sent an email saying that my payment date to pay is valid and okay to pay and end up taking my car away 2 days before the agreed payment plan, how are you going to repossess and tow someone's car away if you agreed with a contracted agreement to pay on a specific day.

Bunch of crooks that just want to screw everyone over and take their money while they can because for long their company will not exist anymore, they have so many lawsuits against them, and if they ever do this again I swear I will sue for false agreements and being crooks, this is United States of America not united states of crooks.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

This is my SECOND go-around with this company. 1st time they shut down my online account, stopped reporting to credit bureaus, and forced me to make payments directly through my bank (not that big of a deal but shutting down my online account without a reason was pretty **). I have never missed a payment, have always paid on time, always paid above and beyond the amount due. I had to jump through hoops to get them to give me back my online account and to again start reporting to credit bureaus.

This morning I check my credit report and find that they once AGAIN have REMOVED my account from TransUnion AND Equifax, with no justification to do so. I called them to inquire and to complain, and I now have to file disputes through the individual credit bureaus and with Santander Consumer. WHY??? WHY DO THEY DO THIS? Why do they intentionally TRY to damage customers who have never defaulted, never paid late, and have always paid more than what is owed? WHY?

And why am I, the customer, now forced to defend myself against this, when I have done absolutely nothing to warrant it? Considering my history with this company, it is CLEAR that they intentionally try to screw over customers, whether payment wise, credit wise, or sanity wise. I can understand a glitch but this appears absolutely intentional.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Avoid this bank at all costs! Their loans officers in Perth Amboy NJ branch have no idea what they are doing. Their tellers in West Long Branch cannot deposit the correct amount. They held $28,000 of my money for over 6 days for no reason they can explain!! Stay away from this bank!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Ok so I've had my car for the last 2 years and they repo my car 2 days ago. I've called and tried to make my payment over the phone. They said, "We can't accept your payment unless you have a credit card". And I said I've tried to do it on the computer but they locked my account out so they said I was 8 months behind and I've paid on time each month. I've looked at my statements on the computer to see where my money was going to and not once did I see a spot on where it was applied to. I have 2 kids and no car. One of my kids is disabled so I kinda need that car to get to doctor appointments 3-5 hours away from where I live... so yes I think I should take them to court over this.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I bought a car in 2015. In May will be 4 years that I have owned a 2015 Nissan Versa. Yes I hit a hardship and was behind 2 payments. They worked with me to get caught up. I found out in Oct 2018 I have not paid one car payment! They said it had all went toward interest! I'm suing them! I seen an article where the car dealerships work with them on people that they know will default on their acct! Loan sharks all the way around!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

My car was totaled & the insurance company paid all but $2421. I opted for Gap Insurance to cover the remaining balance and Santander said I didn't have it. Contacted the dealership and they said we did have it but it was out of their hands. The issue was never resolved and I continued to make payments. My grandmother paid a final payment of $1299.02. But only $500 was applied to the account. I asked why and no one gave a straight answer. I spoke to someone who barely spoke English and the manager was rude. I have the receipt for payment and I also have the receipt with their signature from the postal service where my grandmother mailed in the final payment by certified mail. They are still refusing to acknowledge their mistake. It seems like I'll have to get a lawyer. I read so many negative reviews about missing payments. It's ridiculous!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have been making payments on time for almost 2 years and had to change up my info, got a new cell#, new address, and bank account. I called and reported the change and expected it to be changed across the board. No one told me differently. I usually make my payment through the text option but they failed to change the info on that so it hit a closed acct. Then they failed to contact me afterwards and said they were calling the wrong # even after I reported new info. Spoke to someone that could barely speak English much less understand me. Requested a manager to call and that never happened. Finally got in touch with the executive team and they just defended their incompetent staff. So not only did I have to pay late fees but a return payment fee. Whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night...

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

So I purchased my vehicle from a dealership in august of this year (2018) and when I left the dealership everything on my application was correct; address, phone number, email address, social security number; I’m a high school teacher and I am very detail oriented, so I was extra vigilant that everything was correct. I waited two months for a statement from Chrysler and received nothing. So I went online to retrieve the customer service number and gave them a call, mind you with my debit card in my hand. When I got a representative and gave them my Social Security number she told me that I did not have a loan through Chrysler Capital. I insisted that I did since, I did! I insisted that I did since I did indeed have one with them!! She assured me I did not and told me there wasn’t anything that could be done.

So I waited another month but this time I got a billing statement on Chrysler Capital letterhead and with an account number. I went online to register for auto billing, since I always do with everything that I have, and when I did so I was prompted that there was no account number in existence and still there was nothing under my Social Security number! How is that even possible?! So I call Chrysler and again they tell me I do not have an account with them.

Another month goes by, this time it’s November. I was completely over being told I did not have an account with them and the day after Thanksgiving, and BEGGED the representative to find my account. WHAT CONSUMER HAS TO BEG TO PAY THEIR BILL!? “Please, please take my money!!”, yet that’s EXACTLY what I was trying to do!! So after almost an hour of working on the phone the representative finds me. My account was under a totally different Social Security number, totally different address, totally different cell phone number, did not have an email address, yet was still attached to my name! So I asked the representative to correct my information.

But by this time the amount owed was more than I could afford at one time, so we set up a payment plan; $400 the following Friday, and another $400 the Friday after. I specifically told the representative that I am and HAVE been willing to pay, and that I did not want my car taken, and he assured me everything was taken care of. Please tell me why when I called Chrysler to pay that Friday, that they could not find my account?! Hence the payment AGAIN was not made. Four days from when I attempted payment the principal of my high school comes into my classroom where I am teaching and informs me discreetly that my car is in the process of being repossessed from the school parking lot!!! So much for discreet, as the while my car is being lifted into the air, the bell rings for nutrition and the entire school is released and watching my car being towed away! How absolutely mortifyingly embarrassing!

So I call Chrysler immediately to tell them they have made a mistake; even though my car is literally being repossessed they STILL could not find my account!!! Finally they find me; I am on the third page of a bunch of people with the same name as mine; obviously nobody wanted to do their actual job to locate me ANY of the MULTIPLE times I’ve called!! The customer service representative said that there was no mistake and that if I didn’t want my car repoed that I should’ve paid my bills… How dare him say something like that when I have been trying to pay for my car for three months!!! And who does he think he is scolding me like he is my father!?

Long story short, since my car has been repoed I have in total spent roughly a days of time on the phone with Chrysler Capital trying to remedy the situation, and have them pay for the fees for the repo for the tow to the storage yard and the storage fees... all of which total over a car payment and a half for me, AND the fact that now my car is at an auction yard three hours away from my home! Every single time I speak to somebody they tell me, in no short of words, that they don’t care; I literally had a woman say “come on! I don’t care what you talked about with billing!”. I was so mortified and angry that I started to cry and I am not a crier. I told her to stop talking and she transfer me to her supervisor; why did it take an hour for me to get a supervisor?

At the end of that conversation they told me the same thing, that it was on me, even though I have been trying to pay for three months; again who is so honest as to get to the bottom of the situation and be begging for them to find their account so they can pay their bill? I AM AN HONEST PERSON!! How dare them!?! I literally have spent three weeks trying to get my car back and they do not care. I am beside myself with disbelief that a company that has a customer service department is not servicing their customers in any capacity. I went to retrieve my belongings at the initial Car lot where my car was towed to, and the girl at the window tried to charge me for my things, after Chrysler said I wouldn’t have to. So she gets on the phone with Chrysler and discovers that Chrysler had never processed the paperwork in order to get my fees waived.

Obviously the representatives at Chrysler are sitting on their butts doing absolutely nothing because every single time I have needed them to do something so that I could just pay my bills and live my life, they aren’t doing the simplest of tasks!!! I do not understand how an institution is able to function and not provide its consumers with what we are signing up for!!! I am tired of spending sleepless nights worrying about my vehicle; I am a teacher who wanted to enjoy her hard earned Christmas break and visit family who lives over two hours away, and I can’t!!! I am depending, as a grown woman, on other people to take me to the grocery store! How dare Chrysler do this to me!?

I have come to the conclusion that there must be some sort of scam going, on because when I talked to the girl at the car at the tow yard she said that the majority of the Chrysler repoes are billing issues on behalf of Chrysler!! Consumers are saying that they tried to pay their bills and that Chrysler does not push the payment through for days! I am mortified because I am stuck with them until my loan is over! They charge $10 to process a payment with a representative (as if it’s so difficult for the representatives to accomplish ANYTHING IN THEIR JOB), $3.75 to use their automated payment line, $2.75 to pay online, but it’s free to sign up for auto debit; I would not trust Chrysler Capital with my used tissues, I would be crazy to set up auto pay with that scam of a company!

Here is the point of this review; do not get your loan through Chrysler Capital. They will not take care of you. They will completely screw you over. Please do not take the chance with your car or your credit. I am a hard-working, educated single woman; a hard working, honest and law abiding teacher, paying students loans, Who aspires to own her own home someday however far away that is. But the fact that now there is a repossession of my vehicle on my credit report disgusts me beyond words!!! I understand that Chrysler Capital will give loans to people who have a hard time getting loans from other institutions, but please take my advice. I don’t write reviews. I’m not a complainer. But they have taken so much from me, completely disrespected me, and refused to do the job for which they were hired and established to do. Please let what happened to me be a warning to you.

Do not do business, REPEAT, DO NOT to do business with Chrysler Capital. Having a car for three months is not worth the heartbreak and embarrassment of them repossessing it three months later because they REFUSE do their job. PS. Please offer negative stars as an option, because Chrysler deserves -5 stars. Literally a disgusting embarrassment of a company. Big business abusing consumers.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Worst credit I’ve ever gone through. Still have not paid off my insurance loan after rear-ended by a USAA drunk driver. Totaled truck took almost month for police report and insurance to pay and they still haven’t paid off my 16025 loan yet I got check from USAA. Now I have no ride for Xmas and can’t get financed. Thanks Santander USAA. Only talked to you four times!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I'm so used to writing reviews out of frustration, that it's refreshing to write a good one for once. The JDC dealership I purchased a little Fiat to use as a work car from is a bit of a different story, but the service received from Chrysler Capital financing is something I was very happy with. My experience was quite different than 99% of the reviewers on here. I never had any issues throughout the life of my loan, which was only about a year and a half, but I initially had to call them every month since I would pay additional principal that I had to have allocated correctly. They eventually changed that to where additional funds received automatically goes towards the principal, so I was pleased to see that they were trying to better the customer experience.

I paid the loan off about 2 months ago, and have called the dealership several times to cancel my GAP insurance and get that refund. I finally spoke to someone who told me that Chrysler Capital had already done this, and that the check was on its way. If you've ever tried to get a refund on Gap insurance, you know this is rare! For every other car I've ever paid off, you have to contact the dealership and jump through hoops to get your money back. Even the woman at the dealership was surprised by this. I appreciate anything that results in me having 1 less thing on my plate to worry about! Personally, I would recommend them for funding a loan, and I will certainly use them again if the need arises.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

At first I really liked Santander, they put my car payment on deferment when I was having a small financial bump in the road. However, I got sick and it put me behind. They said they worked with me. My car payment is now getting caught up but when I looked at my credit score, they had completely mangled my credit! I had worked very hard after a bad divorce to get my credit to at least 660... By the time Santander was done with me... It was 515. I dread what they're going to do to it next month. It's like I'm right back where I started after 'working with me.' I understand you're going to get marks for being late but it was circumstances beyond my control. There is no need to punish someone so harshly as to drop their credit score to where they will have dig themselves out of a credit hole so deep, it will take years to recover.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

This is the second time Santander bank screwed me over with their interest for my car. Yesterday, I was told $438.55 was my last payment and that the state of California would be notified and that I would get my pink slip in the mail for my car. Now I have to owe $11.02, out of nowhere, then $11.11. Secondly, my payment for this month was "past due". Apparently, they disabled my auto pay without notifying me, so I was late. So I called them and politely asked what was going on. Then, I was transferred to their automated service to make this final payment and didn't have to worry about the late payment, which is in January with a total amount of $493.69. I didn't want to give them $55 more dollars, so I paid the $438.55.

No one said anything that day about $11.02. I always got the statement every month of the total amount owed. Principal, plus interest. Now I'm being told that the statement is the principal only all of a sudden. Very convenient for them. Turns out, I owed $449 after making a huge payment before. That $449 was never brought up in their statements or the phone call I made yesterday. They enjoy taking money from people who work hard for it. They explain things very poorly and misinform their customers.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Website and payment policies suck. They never return important, account related emails. They limit how you can pay. Payment options are geared toward them making money from fees. Plus, I couldn't understand a word she was saying. What can you expect from an institution that's a bottom feeder in the financial scheme of business.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

This company levies fees at its will to keep low income and seniors in their financial grasp. I have paid for over 7 years on a 2007 Saturn. Due to hospitalizations the fees never end and I can never speak to anyone. Very sad and frustrated dealing with crooks of this nature.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Due to glitch in their system, my loan amount was not processed. Santander did not take efforts to inform me. Customer service will not even tell me the reason for it, in fact they asked me for fees to process the payment. This is second time happened with me. Even a credit union works better than this company. I think it is their trick to get late payment fees from customer. This is fraud company... I would have never taken my loan account to this company, but unfortunately my loan was transferred to them by my previous car loan company.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Santander has been pretty good to me. I've been with them for nearly three years and they have always been very willing to work with me on payments when I could not make them. I lost my job and was out of work from Jan-Aug and they were very understanding and helpful in any way they could be, so I don't have many complaints as far as customer service or the company as a whole... HOWEVER, their interest rates are THROUGH THE ROOF. Like absolutely uncalled for. I had fairly good credit when I originally financed my car with them, just not a lot of credit history and my interest rate was still 19.8% which is insane. That's credit card interest rate high.

When it's all said and done I will have paid about $30k for a Fiat. A FIAT!!! It's barely worth $8k KBB. Oh, and I mentioned I HAD fairly good credit when I applied for my loan... Well the payments are so high that when I started accumulating other bills I couldn't make my car payment. Which has screwed my credit up. And there have been medical bills, etc. that I've had to forego paying to make my car payment. So now my credit is bad and I can't even get the stupid thing refinanced. SCU has been okay to me, but I can't recommend them because they are just out of line with what they charge people. It's downright shameful.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

This company was decent to work with the first year we made payments on my husband's car. Now, in September and October, they have misplaced both payments. The money is out of our account, gone. I cannot count how many different people, fax numbers and faxes I have sent the company to prove we paid it. Every time we hear "Call us back to confirm we got it." We call then they say it takes 3-5 business days for review. We call back in 4 business days and they cannot locate the faxed information. This has been going on for 2 months now. Now, it says we are behind payments on his car. They all have the same robotic answer of "I am so sorry, I understand this is frustrating." NO KIDDING. I have been patient enough and I am putting their TERRIBLE business practices everywhere so no one can give this company their business! STAY AWAY!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Even if you have bad credit, a bankruptcy or whatever it may be and you are desperate, if you finance through these people you will be more sorry than you were before. Just trying to get a hold of somebody takes half a dozen phone calls and literally hours. Everything is automated and trying to get through to an actual person is near impossible. It's pretty sad that a company like this will take advantage of somebody with less-than-perfect credit trying to make things right. We all know how important our credit score is to our financial situation. Yes, we are all capable of making mistakes. But all of us should also have the opportunity to be given another chance.

Especially since our credit score basically defines who we are these days. These people are like predators that feed on weak prey. It's like they are taking advantage of the weak - knowing that you are in a vulnerable spot and taking and sucking all they can get out of you. Santander will take advantage of you in every way possible. Even ways that you didn't think were possible. Trust all of the other reviews. I'm not going to even try to explain my situation with these people. Just believe me when I say that I was taken advantage of while doing what I was supposed to be doing like so many others. If you see a review, which I have, that states they are nothing but excellent - it's pretty obvious that it is somebody who probably works for the company trying to up their rating. We were in a sticky situation and had to finance through these people and even in our most desperate of times I still regret financing through Santander.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have a car mortgage with this financial company, I have a payment settled due on the 13th of every month. Chrysler Capital NEVER informed that they are having troubles with the website or having problems with the way their website works with customers like me. Every month my auto pay is scheduled for the 13th of each month, and money is saved in my Checking account.

For some reason, they were always grabbing money from this account, then they started taking from my other account. Basically they were taking money from two accounts. So, closed one account and also called for the other account to notify me. I opened a new account just for the car payments and each month the Chrysler Capital "unable to locate my account" so the payment is late. They charge me late fees, they call me to make a phone payment for ten dollar charge and for some reason they have Western Union involved that charges me additional 10.95 each month and they bill me for $25 dollars for late fees as well. Basically I end up each month paying 40 dollars out of pocket in addition to the $422.30 monthly payments.

Several times they call me and give me a Supervisor and I have explained to them my dilemma of hurting my credit, they are "unable to locate" my account but when the operator takes my card payment they charge me 10 dollars extra on top of my regular payment of 422.30, and this is coming out of the same account they were "unable to locate". They never compensated for me the loss of the amount of exorbitant money it costed me to pay and they have hurted my credit and frustration and loss of making calls during my lunch hour (30 minutes) when I should be eating my lunch and not being hungry as I am diabetic too.

Today, when I requested to talk to a Supervisor, she told me they are having issues with the website!!! So, you are having problems, and you are charging 10 dollars on the phone for 10,000 customers, so you are making 100,000 already from these calls, and also pulling 25 dollars from these 10,000 customers so this is 250,000? Just do the math!! I am a math teacher, so what is going on?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Ok, so my fiancé bought me a new 2018 car. It was my fault for not paying the car. That being said. We got the car back and yesterday they call my fiancé and said we owed $888.16. I was in a state of shock. My fiancé called me wondering had I lied to him about paying the car note. I called Santander and she said yes it was 888.16 in fees. I asked what fees. She couldn’t tell me then, I was told account management had not updated their system. So we only owe $154 left this month. DO NOT USE SANTANDER. They lie and cheat and don’t care. Yes it was my fault but they just don’t care. As far as the $300 I paid this month they said I didn’t pay it all. And now they are “looking” for the recorded conversation of me paying for it.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

These people are definitely loan sharks. Took forever for them to compromise a contract with a car dealership. Took them 3 months to come up with a acceptance for us therefore leading us into a loan agreement. We were unaware of the details that would lead us not to a 3-year loan for our car but a six-year loan annual 23% loan sharking agreement that we were unaware of. Not researching them enough as they took forever to come up with this contract causing confusion difficulty and chaos. These people are insane. It's hard for me to believe that the government allows them to get away with us. We ended up signing a contract that would initially give them just as much as we were paying for the amount we were paying for her car. It just didn't make sense to me in the beginning. It just didn't more literally make sense at all. They are Loan Sharks. Do not. They don't deserve to be in business. I thought loan sharking was illegal.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Stay away from these people... And they should not be allowed to do business in my State, Ohio, and your state as well. I not only agree with the other reviews, I can add the following relative to a car loan: 1) THEY CHARGE FOR TITLING AND OTHER FEES. But don't process them. They charged me for a memorandum title but after further investigation, never processed it. 2) THEY WILL NOT RETURN CALLs. They claim they have no way of dialing out.

3) OVERPAYMENTS ISSUED AS FEE BASED CASH CARD. If you pay off your loan, any OVERPAYMENT amount rather than refunded to you (or deposited back into your bank account where the monthly payments are made from) they issue you a monthly FEE BASED card that can only be used for purchases UP TO THE AMOUNT of the card, if registered AND WITHOUT ANY CASH BACK CAPABILITIES. In other words, I gave them my money (since they overstated the loan amount) but would not refund it in kind, meaning I could not get the money back into the bank from whence it originated. Don't learn the hard way. Nothing but bad things to say about this company.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Please follow my advice and never ever get any type of loan from this people. They will stabbed you in the back as soon as they get a chance. Even if it's someone else mistakes they will go after you...

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Financed an auto loan in April for $17500 with an interest rate of 26%. My credit score was in the 570-600 range. Was in desperate need of a vehicle to go to work to and didn't do my research before applying for an auto loan with Santander. Went to the dealership and got approved with $3600 down. The positives: Santander did not require a cosigner nor proof of address or income which surprised me because most lenders require this. They helped me out with this and they also gave me an extension to make payments due to a family emergency. Your credit will also jump a significant amount if you make your payments on time and don't default. My score jumped 70 points to 640. I will give credit to Santander for helping to build your credit. They have excellent customer service and multiple payment options.

Negatives: In spite of this, I still do not recommend Santander because they prey on poor, weak, bad credit individuals who have no knowledge of the law and charge an insane (in some states illegal) amount of interest which is usury. My total finance obligations for a 6-year term totals $41,800 for a vehicle that is worth $13000 KBB value. Santander does not disclose on your online account how much of those payments will be made to principal, interest, or total balance. I discovered that in August 2018, Santander settled with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) for Massachusetts and Delaware state officials for $11.8 million for not properly disclosing terms about its auto loans to consumers. If you do not have good or perfect credit, stay as far away from Santander as you can.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

My 22 year old daughter went to a car dealership (Bill Snethkamp) in Detroit 4 months ago with her (then) boyfriend. He knew a salesperson at the dealership and told this person that while the car was for him, because he had bad credit and my daughter had a good credit, she would apply for the loan. He would pay my daughter cash to cover the monthly lease. She filled out the application and listed as 'employment' a new job she was about to begin. This was a sales job that never panned out. She had no income at the time. Zero.

Her good credit was due to her having a credit card for small purchases she made while in college, and I paid the monthly bill. Chrysler Capital, the leasing company approved a 3 year loan on a $44,000 Jeep Cherokee. No one ever called the employer or checked her income. Now, neither my daughter or her ex-boyfriend can afford to continue paying the $560 monthly payment. Chrysler Capital informed me a good credit score is all that they need.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

This is my first car loan, unfortunately I lost my job and got behind 3 payments. Two days before Thanksgiving they come and repo my car around 10 pm. In VA you do not have to send a final notice that they are coming to claim the car. On the very same day I received a check that I planned to use to get my car current. They didn't have the common courtesy to email me asking for payment before taking the car. They apparently call and leave messages on my phone, but I have a different phone, but the same email address on file. They informed me over the phone that they are allowed to take cars 24/7 but the reclaim department closes at 5 PM! Adding fees by the day, random charges from the third party tow company. This is unprofessional. Ideally I understand I should stay current to make sure this didn't happen. But hard times happen to us all, do not let these car devils rip you off!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

We set up a loan extension with Santander in October and made the requested payment to get the account back on track. On 11/11/18 the truck was repoed in the middle of the afternoon. We the driver hooked to the truck, we called Santander to confirm that the account was current. Since it was a Sunday, customer service could not do anything until the Recovery Department was open on Monday. I called in (there were 184 callers ahead of me) and got the account reinstated and was to call Tuesday to schedule picking up the vehicle. Monday night, I had two men show up at 11:30 PM to pick up the truck. Claimed they were repo agents. No license plates on truck and refused to ID themselves. Couldn't give me the VIN and demanded that I let them search our barns and outbuildings. I told them the vehicle had been picked up the day before and they told me they weren't leaving without the truck.

I asked what co they were with and they each said a different company at the same time (and we later find out both companies are bogus). I am home alone with 2 kids. I replied that I was going to call the Sherrif and they replied they would be gone before they would arrive. And I responded, "Not if I shoot the tire of your truck." They left at that point.

The next day, I call Santander to let them know of the incident (this is the third time in 4 months that we've had "repo men" at our door when there was no open order to secure the vehicle). We then call to set up an appointment to pick up the truck and the Recovery Company tells us Santander canceled the release because the agent picking up the vehicle was shot at (not true). I try to explain the incident occurred AFTER the truck was secured and we don't know who was at our house Monday night. Santander will not budge. States they made their decision based on the agent statement, yet they won't take a call from the actual driver who has called numerous times to confirm that there was no issues picking up the vehicle. They state that we can only get the vehicle if we pay the loan in full or we buy it at the auction. Can they legally do this?

I can't get anywhere calling in to them, and the recovery company is willing to release the vehicle back us. The Recovery Company that brokered the pick up has been very helpful and the local company has been, as well. But Santander will not listen to anyone and I can't get ahold of the same person twice. We've paid $30,000 on a $70,000 truck and now Santander says they don't have to release the vehicle because of this altercation. Very frustrating!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

This company is horrible. We made our payments and there was a glitch on their end so they said we didn't make payments however we have ALL on receipts! They then repo our car and then they charged all these misc fees. I beg you. Please do not finance through this company. They are a FRAUD!!! Will be taking them to court. All day they have been hanging up on me and will not talk to me about getting my car back now. I'm owing 2000 past due on a 2014 Kia that I have already put over 4000 in with “late payments” and their lies.

Santander Consumer USA Company Information