Find a Loan Companies partner

Help me decide

1.1/5 (35 ratings)
Find a Loan Companies partner

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

About Santander Consumer USA

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

Santander Consumer USA Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

After paying faithfully $687 a month for two years! My husband lost his job to Covid, my mother passed in April, we now raise our 5 yr old granddaughter along with our 10 yr old son. We ended up losing our home! But I still kept in contact begging for help, extensions, but nothing!! Very cold, oh well attitudes from customer service! My husband receives very little unemployment, but we took it to use to buy our son and now full-time granddaughter very few things for Christmas. She was so excited walking around the store singing Christmas songs, drinking her little cup of hot chocolate.

Finally done we come outside to find the tow truck (Repo) had followed us, not knowing and watched us get out of the truck with our very small granddaughter to go into Walmart. We come out to no vehicle on a very cold night. We had a few Christmas presents in the truck so it was devastating!!! We told you two years ago that was a lot of money a month but you assured us we could do it and eventually refinance to make the payments cheaper!!!

You took our truck in a Walmart parking lot, on a cold night with our children's FEW Christmas gifts that we are now having to fight for!!! Our children are devastated, you could have called and told us, we would have said pick up at a time the children were not around. You didn't break our spirit Santander, our children have been through so much since March. Our Christmas spirit will move on because we have Our children, a roof over our head and most importantly God!!! Merry Christmas Scrooge Santander Consumer!!! How do you sleep at night?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Called Santander to let them know I missed 2 weeks of work because of covid testing and me being sick. Said I could pay it in two weeks from today, I was told that after 10 days I will be charged a late fee! Say what?! Late fee! So this company is telling you don’t get sick, you will still be charged a late fee. So Santander does not have any late fee waiver? The only other option was to extend my payment out, and I do not want to do that. So whatever you do, don’t get Covid or testing or get sent home for a week, you will pay a late fee. 2 more years of dealing with this joke of a company, who still employs a number of heavy accented individuals whom I can barely understand. After this vehicle is paid, never again Santander.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

My daughter purchased a car at a dealer for $9,000 in May 2020. She put $4,000 down and took out a loan with Santander Consumer USA for $5,000. She thought the loan was being charged to one of her 3 bank accounts. It never was and after 3 months she received a letter saying she needed to pay the 3 month balance in 10 days. On the day she received the letter she didn’t have enough money to pay the balance so she waited until her next biweekly paycheck to pay it which would be 11 days later.

On the day she was going to pay the bank they repossessed her car without any notification. Although she was at fault for not making sure she was making payments, she would have if they communicated with her. She certainly had the money. No phone calls, no emails, and no mail until 90 days later and then they repossess it 11 days later. I have excellent credit and they wouldn’t allow me to co-sign, take over the loan or even pay the full balance. The customer service was terrible. It took 30 minutes on the phone to reach someone. I would not recommend these weasels.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

They acquired my loan during the last six months of a five year loan. I was NOT a sub-prime loan and I have outstanding credit. For the four and a half years leading up to Santander acquiring our loan we had NEVER been late. In fact I always paid more than minimum through an automated payment. When it came time to make my final payment for a measly $175 balance, Santander stopped withdrawing the payments and didn't tell me that they were doing so. I was expecting them to simply withdraw the last payment and pay off the loan.

Unfortunately one single late payment like this hit my credit report immediately and dinged me 25 points while I'm right at the tail end of refinancing both my primary residence and an investment property. They also do NOT let you speak to a live person and didn't even bother to reach out and speak to me after I filed a Dispute through the credit bureaus. Horrible company and I will NEVER EVER do business with them again.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

Went to Carmax and bought a new car. We had poor credit, but we had the money to pay for the car in full. We decided to pay $20,000 and have the remaining $8,000 loaned out to us so that we could build better credit. The only loan company that considered us was Santander. We have been paying on this loan for 3 years at $258 a month. That's $9,000 yet only $2,000 of that has actually paid off the loan itself. I imagine the other $7,000 went towards their thieving "interest rates".

We have another 3 years until the maturity date and I doubt we will have even have it paid off by that point due to their suspect practices. Keep in mind, I have been a faithful customer and have yet to have one late payment. It's difficult now more than ever as my job has decreased operational hours. They have done zero in effort to soften the blow during this pandemic. After having read these other reviews, I am not surprised. Stay away from them by all means if you can!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

When I first got my car about a year ago, my loan was with Santander. I had an absolutely ridiculous 22% interest rate, so I recently decided to refinance since I knew I was getting robbed. The new loan company said that the payoff money was sent online to Santander on Thursday 11/19. As of today, Wednesday November 25, my account is STILL not showing as being paid off and santander claims they have not received the money. Better find the money soon Santander - I’d hate to involve a lawyer.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Watch out for fees!!! They are still charging me a disposition fee ($394) for returning a leased vehicle (returned low miles and pristine condition) through them even though I financed a new vehicle for purchase with Chrysler Capital with the turn in. Was told there were no additional fees until I received bill in the mail. Company would rather charge me ridiculous fee than keep my service. Spoke to rep (and he spoke to his supervisor) who said they couldn't/wouldn't do anything. I will NEVER buy or lease with this company again. I suggest you consider the same. They want your money, not your loyalty or respect. I've already refinanced and taken my loan out of Chrysler Capital. Bye. Bye.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

My husband and I are in the process of buying a house and had to wire money from my Santander checking account to another domestic account. Not once but twice - twice! - Santander's wire department failed miserably at helping us transfer the money in a timely fashion. One time, we had to wait an entire weekend despite submitting the wire well before the deadline on Friday early afternoon; the other time (now) I am still waiting for the money to be transferred despite sitting in a branch for two hours and being put on hold with customer service for an additional two hours. In the meantime, Santander has given me absolutely no information about what the hold-up is; what additional information I can provide; or even WHERE the money is. Just....infuriating.

The one positive thing I will say is that all of its branch employees and line-level customer service representatives have been incredibly friendly and have tried their best to help me. But when the bank's procedures are so labyrinthine and the wire department staff fail so miserably at providing helpful information, there's only so much that they can do.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

Two and a half years ago, my wife and I wanted a car and I had bad credit and my wife had no credit. We went to the dealership and every major bank turned us down, even banks out of state. However, the finance manager said he will get us approved regardless. So, Santander at first said no but then approved us. We were grateful.

After a year of having the loan, we were having some financial problems. I called Santander and explained the situation. Now, keep in mind, I was still making payments but not the whole amount. I called to see if I can make a payment arrangement until I can catch up. They said "Pay what you can". After two months I find out that that reported us to the credit bureau's as having 2 missed payments. I was pissed. They later called me and told me that they can extend the loan for two months and that way we can be "current". I E-signed the documents but this offer was not made to us until AFTER they reported the 2 missed payments. Why didn't they offer this to us before so our credit wouldn't take a hit!!?? JERKS!!!

This year things have been good and the past 6 months, we have paid them extra money each week in addition to the regular payment. You would think they would appreciate it and offer us a much better interest rate or give us a $1,000 credit. NOPE!!! They are money hungry vultures!!! The other thing I hate about this company is that when you call them, you hardly ever reach the US and there are language barriers. WE will however get the last laugh because we are paying off this van three years early and they will not get the interest they are expecting which is anywhere from $3,000-$4,000!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

My brother had an account with Santander and he passed from Covid April 12th. I mailed all the paperwork to have them relinquish the funds to me and till this day 11-13-20 I am still getting the run around from them. I even had one representative tell me to just take his debit card to the atm and "just take the money out yourself" which is illegal. I just heard back from them telling me that the paperwork that I submitted was incorrect and that I will need to start over. I do not understand why the same paperwork that I submitted to 3 other banks was okay and not for Santander. This mental anguish is horrible and I do not wish this upon anyone, losing my brother was hard enough without this bank adding on by ignoring me and giving me false information.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

This is the worst company to ever deal with when it comes to getting a loan for a car. They target low income people and people with bad credit so they can hit you with higher interest rates. They do not try to work with their customers. Even during this COVID crisis they are still collecting interest and late fees and trying to repo people cars. Still waiting to hear from the lawsuit for all the people that they have roped off.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

Let me start by saying I hardly ever do reviews, so when I do one it’s because it was worth the time for me! I went through Santander for my car. I told them my concerns about getting a new car. They acted like they were here for me and could help no matter the issue. Well a few months in I had lost my job due to the Coronavirus. I immediately called them and told them what was going on and asked if there was anything they could do to help. They told me no! I kept them updated on everything. I told them I had gotten a new job and told them I would be able to make a full payment by a certain date yet they took my car anyway! I called they told me to pay off what I owed, any fees and an extra month to get my car back then proceeded to tell me if I would have asked for help they could have helped me before my car was repossessed, like what the hell? I did ask!

I had gotten all the money within only 3 days of my car being taken. I called to pay it and they just refused me the car back regardless! They told me also in the beginning I needed a co signer to help with the credit and said nothing else. We’ll come to find out they put me as the co-signer and was mad asking why the other person didn’t make payments on it when I couldn’t. I told them that it wasn’t their responsibility and that’s when I found all that out, including the fact that she was only supposed to be on it for the use of her credit, but apparently now that’s not the case!

So after being with them for about a year or close to they were rude, they lied, I got all the money to get it back and they just wouldn’t give it back and the sad part I got the check to pay them the day they repossessed the car. I couldn’t cash it until the next day and they took the car while I was sleeping! So ya don’t go through them. They tell you anything and then after you're with them you're garbage. They take what they can from you then screw you over and sell your car!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

Santander Consumer USA is the worst company loaner ever, I hear stories about them but I never thought they gonna do this to me. Now I know I will avoid it at all cost. They take advantage of people and take moneys as well. Unfortunately there's no law to protect the consumers from companies like them, they repo my vehicle when I had almost 3 years paying. They just took it away and don’t give me options to get it back because their stupid companies policies.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

This company is a ripoff. Be careful. My car loan was paid off in October 12. When I called Santander on October 27, 2020. They stated that they will send me a letter to note that the account was paid off date on 10/27/2020 and will mail the title within 30 days. What gives? Why counted from the date I called and not paid off date? What if I didn't call? I wish Gateway Lending didn't just move my loan there! The customer service sucks. The automated phone number had you going around and around, asking you to choose option 1 so many times before it gets to a real person. The bigger questions are.. where IS MY TITLE?! Why keeping it until a customer called?? Isn't this against the law?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

These individuals offered me a loan at a time where I only put $1,000 down on a $19,000 car loan. They saddled me with a $436.00 car payment while I was making $12.30 an hour (with already $500 rent), then when I fell on hard times they LIED to me multiple times saying that partial payments would be fine to make. My car was repossessed and they charged me double the amount of money, and then towed the car over 40 miles away from my house.

Now that they are dealing with this AG Settlement, they REFUSE to give me any information about the status of my car, even though the Attorney General and the independent consultant have all stated it is THEIR responsibility to do so. They have flat out ignored my multiple calls, emails, chat support requests, and physical emails to their corporate and legal departments.

These people are crooks, dealing in subprime loans and are now paying out over $500 million in restitution and car loan forgiveness. The funny thing is, I called just for the heck of it and pretended like I needed to make a partial payment and asked if that would affect my account, and they STILL lied, even after it was noted in the initial multi-state lawsuit that was one of the TOP REASONS why they were being sued!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

I was asked at the beginning of my loan. I was asked if I wanted to make my first payment on my car in October or November. I chose November them not explaining to me that that would make me owe an extra $1,800 over time. Didn't let let me know until I was making my last payment after 6 years of no missed or late payments.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

They closed customers' accounts after 290 days past due. They repo my car right after I put $$$ into this car. They watched everywhere my car was parked, seen I was getting work done then came and got it.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I don't know where should I start? We brought brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee in end of August this year and we did finance though Chrysler Capital. This company give me a so much of the headache. First what they did, they spell my Husband first and last name wrong. When I called them to fix his name, the only thing they can change is to send them a copy of his Driving license and his account number via Fax. There's no another way to fix it, so on our day off we drove to nearest store and pay for fax to send them a copy and they probably need it 10 business days to fix they mistake.

Second what they did, when we open the account in end of August, they send us the payment right away and it was due by October 6th, so we send them a check via us mail and they cash it right away. The second payment come and it was due by November 6th, so again we send them a check ahead. They cash the check, but they didn't change due date for December 6th. I called them yesterday, and they promise to fix the due date, but they need at least between 3 to 5 business days to change the due date...

Please hear me right, we have financed the cars though Chase before, and right now we have a second car financed though Capital One and we don't have any problem with them whatsoever. Who will knows what else to expect from them? Now I have to wait for name change and to fix the due date and who knows what else in the future we will face with this imbecile company. Stay away!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

I paid off a truck from Santander Consumer USA in July of 2020. I called the other day about the title for My vehicle. They said it would take 30 days to get the title? I said I paid it off 3 months ago. Almost 3 years early! After looking up my account they said the title was mailed out on July 31, 2020? So now it is going to be my responsibility to pay for another (lost) title! Santander said, "We will send you a release of lien." I got that in the mail today. So why did I Not get the title. Suspicious that I got that document but not the title! I've lived at the same address for over 3 years since I bought the truck. Why do I have to pay for a title on a truck that now belongs to me? I can't even sell the truck until I have a title! Why wasn't that title sent certified letter? It's going to take additional money out of my pocket 30-40 dollars and 30-45 days to get another title! If it costs me money that company needs to reimburse me for a lost title! Time is just as valuable as money.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

This is the worst bank ever! I had extra fees added on to my account. When I tried to ask the agent helping me they were rude. Do not use this bank. I am having to get a attorney to figure out what is going on. On top of that they tried to get me to extend my loan which would have added additional fees.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

Keep in Mind: This lender is primarily for those with a much less than perfect/no credit score. If offered a loan from them, accept it knowing interest rates will be high. **This complaint has nothing to do with pricing as I knew what I was getting into.** Had the loan for almost 3 years with only 1 incident of delinquency in payment. ****

1st scenario: During the first year, fell ill and lost my job so I filed for an extension which pushes the unpaid months to the back of the loan therefore extending the expected payoff date. The representative I initially filed with was kind but screwed the process up with the dates of the extension causing the extension to only be good for 2 months instead of the 3 we discussed & verbally agreed upon. And this caused my payments to fall behind without me knowing until the delinquent notice was in the mail. They performed 'an investigation' where the 'recorded' calls were 'reviewed' by management and they deemed it to be my fault. This was a lesson learned on my part not to sign paperwork without being fully secure. The problem lied with the manner in which the matter was 'handled'; poorly & unaccountably.

2nd Scenario: Vehicle was a total loss in June of 2020. Called to report it with Insurance and Impound depts. Spoke with CS who transferred me to impound. Lady was very nice, provided her with insurance info and she told me someone would call me back. Never heard back. Received notices vehicle would be repossessed even after it was reported. Tow truck driver arrived and I told him where the vehicle was located to pick it up. Tow driver said someone would contact once it's retrieved. Heard nothing. Received two more notices in the mail as well as notifications from credit report that payments were delinquent.

Called today and spoke with Jude/Joel (?) in impound dept who was extremely difficult to hear and was rude when explaining the process. Then 'the line got disconnected'. Called back twice as line disconnected the second time and got Supe (like soup-ay) who you could already tell she had a bad attitude. I asked if she could call me back as I had been 'disconnected with' twice already and she replied asking what I need help with, completely dodging the question. Was argumentative and *extremely* unprofessional throughout the 7 minute conversation. She cut me off to raise her voice multiple times and would backpedal on her words saying one thing then saying she never said that or that I was never told something when in fact I was by Joel or someone else in their company. They notify you that the payments are due & they want their money but don't notify you how you can keep your name in the clear.

Conclusion/Take-Away: Take this lender knowing you'll get approved and you're paying much more than what the car is worth each month but if you fall into financial troubles, there should be options for you (which explains the two stars). However, do not expect smoice (smile in their voice), concern, or efficiency when connected to a live agent. As a 5th gen native born US citizen, I'm not saying this is a cultural problem in their company but this is my experience. The only positive representatives I'd spoken with were from the Caribbean/Africa or Mexico. All American accented reps (not Canadian, you can tell the difference) were the same; entitled, presumptuous, and half-baked (for lack of the word I want to use). You will always have dissatisfied clientele when you treat them less than.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

My brother purchased a car from Koons and got financing with Santander Consumer USA at 24 percent financing. I was against it but he wanted the car. After 10 months we were able to refinance only to find out that after 10 on time payments only 200 dollars went to the principal of the cr so I called the company and I was told that the interest on the loan was 13.80 per day which equals to 390.00 a month. I said, "You people are crooks." So after paying 18,000 for the car finances 21,000 my interest is 28,700 so I will never own this car. This company is a rip off. They take advantage of people with less than perfect credit and people become trapped and the sellers are worst because they don’t tell you so you are screwed at the end. I am asking that anyone who reads this to please contact Better Business Bureau. We have to take a stand against these people. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

Financed my vehicle thru Santander at a 23% interest rate because of slow credit history on a 6 year note (yes they had me). Had it withdrawn directly from my checking account which was my choice. My bank info had been hacked so I had to open a new account. I did not advise Santander and didn't realize my payments were not being paid until I got notice from a credit bureau that there was issues. I immediately brought my account current with no notice from Santander. Santander had advised they tried to get in touch with me which was a lie. They wouldn't work with me on the additional fees they charged due to this incident. Mind you I had not missed a payment in 4 years. Then as I paid my truck off, full term, with the interest that it was, they could not produce a title.

After about 4 calls to Santander, broken promises to call back, things that were supposedly sent to me that hadn't been, still no title. I called the DMV as they advised and was told it was a paper title and that Santander had the title. Calling Santander to advise what DMV said they said that wasn't true and are now sending me the release of lien so I can go pay for a lost title. I know on cars I have financed before thru Ford or whoever, I have always received my title when the car was paid off, and didn't have to pay additional to get it. You would of thought they made a killing off me already and they're still trying to screw me. I am very dissatisfied with this high rate company. Certainly would NOT recommend.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

This company is terrible, shady and illegally holds your money after payoff and makes excuses to collect interest off money and not give interest and send my money back. Do not get ripped off by this predatory lender under current lawsuit. Send me my money you owe.

Original review: July 29, 2020

This company willfully practices horrible predatory lending loans. I cannot believe there has not been a class action lawsuit filed and they are able to sleep at night knowing that they are raking in literally billions of dollars off of the collective high interest loans they approve. My car loan was a approved at a whopping 23% and sometimes it is upwards of 25%. I have filed a complaint with the Attorney General's Office. I made the horrendous mistake of signing this loan contract because it was my first car loan AND the dealer (of course) said I would be able to refinance after a year- well fast forward 5 years later I have been told on multiple occasions "this type of loan" cannot be refinanced.

I am FURIOUS, and OUTRAGED, that we live in a society where this type of practice is allowed and accepted just to cut a deal. THEY ARE RAPISTS as far as I am concerned and should be charged as such. I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM SANTANDER CONSUMER USA at all costs. I will never do any business with them again once out of this loan. PRAISE GOD. THE TRUTH WILL BE KNOWN. THE POWER OF GOD IS MORE POWERFUL THAN ANY DARK. MAY THE LIGHT SHINE ON YOUR SOUL. AMEN.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Don’t lose your job in a pandemic and get behind but not provide a sad sad story as to why you couldn’t pay your payments other than losing your job. They’ll take your car and tell you it’s “non-negotiable” and that you have to pay off your loan to get it back. First time it was repoed and they didn’t even let me try to make it right. Just “pay the loan off in 10 days and you can have it back”. There’s definitely something wrong with a company when you can’t even make it right when you lose your job over a virus that is affecting the whole world.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I was pregnant back in 2019 and had a huge thyroid issue basically had me in health issues and I lost my job. I was not making my payments on time but I was at night not making my payments. My interest-rate is at 17% making me pay an additional almost $3000 extra on my car payment yearly. They were close to repossession even while I was making payments. I only fell behind twice and they just kept adding interest rates. They never asked if I needed assistance, I was looking for alternatives I did not want to but I am turning my car in because I would rather not have it Finance with a company who does not care about their customers. When I had a Volkswagen, Volkswagen allowed me to defer my payments with no interest. I would never recommend this company to anybody in their customer service is beyond garbage.

Original review: July 20, 2020

Santander is well-known for their predatory lending practices. The abusive business practices of this company are appalling and supported by multimillion dollar lawsuits. For auto loans, Santander eliminated GAP insurance years ago, which protected consumers in the case of their vehicle being a total loss by providing the funds that insurance does not cover (since insurance is based on vehicle value, not on loan amount due). This allows Santander to keep your car payment at the same rate without reducing it, no matter how long you have left in your original lease terms under the guise of “not having collateral of your car” which means they will not work with you to reduce or lower your payments. My APR is over 25%, which is absolutely absurd.

Santander targets vulnerable consumers who are in need of a loan but have not established the best credit history. They have extremely high fees and unfair loan structures. They specifically target individuals likely to default and provide disadvantaged loans to profit off of consumers being upside down and indebted to their very poor quality services. Do not use this loan company and help others avoid the same mistake. Despite lawsuits, they’re too powerful because of their predatory lending to be taken down easily.

Original review: July 16, 2020

People be very careful full about This bank SANTANDER CONSUMER USA. I am taking them to COURT for RESELLING STOLEN CARS. THEY NEED TO STOP THAT. I purchased my car cash from the last owner with title and no lean and Santander consumer USA after 10 months came and still the car to go sale to someone else. Now I have the new title on my name how are they doing this title and lean release on vehicles that are not paid for? Is going to cost me time and money but for $15000 I am suing them. I will make sure it’s in the news for everybody to know. People that are losing cars please check with Santander.

Original review: July 11, 2020

The first year, no problems. Second year they started misreporting my payments as being late or missed, it seems like every month I had to call them to update their payments reports. My husband had a stroke I was told I would be given a 3 month grace period, when I tried to make my next payment they called me a liar that I was only given 2 month grace period. I would never ever recommend them for anything, they should be ashamed of themselves picking on a stroke victim and a disabled couple. Shame on you Santander.

Santander Consumer USA Company Information