2. Finance
  3. Loan Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

Santander Consumer USA Reviews

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I took out an auto with these guys in 2015, I had a good-paying job and my mom took out a joint loan from them because that's what we qualified for. My mom had already a house she was still making satisfactory payments on, but only this bank approved a lower price. It was the first time I and my mom actually bought a car from a dealership because she likes older cars, I like newer. We went to the dealership. Sign the papers, honestly, I regret signing things from only skimming over the page, because it was a lot of things we didn't need that was added to the loan. Santander didn't put a payment on my account for two months straight, I called them and they told me there were no payments due, I offered to mail it in they said its okay. By the third month, these crooks said I owed roughly $900, I went bizarre, but because I needed the car I paid it.

I made on-time payments for three full years, and little do you know all I was paying for was the interest rate. $389 per month, because my interest rate was near 25% that's what I was stuck with. I ended up losing my job for at least 6 months, didn't qualify for unemployment, and I was basically screwed. I fell behind them for about six months straight, I know that's a long time, anything they offered me they'll persuade me on what jobs to do, UBER LYFT, etc. and I asked would they lower the cost since I am basically on the road everyday driving more than the average miles per year, they said no. Then they found out that I did not have any insurance on the car and demanded me to get insurance or they will repo the car. In the end, the repoed the car.

I had started a new job, now this debt sits on my credit. I can't get approved for anything, and this sucks badly. I wish I wasn't so dumb and eager to get a car so fast. I put my mom underwater because she couldn't afford to pay two cars and insurance at the same time. I tried my best to find employment during the course of the months, but living in Miami if you don't speak Spanish it's really getting hard. Besides that point, teenagers if you're reading this, do not hurry to get a car so fast, save your money, build your credit up to about 680 and find a credit union in your area to help finance a car. Do not go with Santander, and if the dealership tells you, "we're searching for more banks to approve you" runnn. Do not stay there, they will find the worst of the worst to finance you and that's my living right now.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I have had a loan on a motor home since 2004 with never a late payment. Due to the timing of my paycheck I requested a due date change in 2012. Timing of my paycheck has changed again and I requested another due date change. My request was denied. I went all the way to the executive office with my request and was told one one due date change could be done during the life of the loan. They will grant 8 payment extension but only one due date change. This seems to be very poor customer service, with rules written in stone and no required to the individual needs.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I have had my auto loan through Santander for almost three years now. I have recently been going through medical problems and had to go into rehab. When I asked for assistance in helping to keep the loan current for a month and a half while I get back on my feet, and to keep it off my credit report they denied me flat out. I have never had a loan company so unwilling to help you at all when your in a dire life situation.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I am a victim of the Woolsey Fires in California, let's just start there. Needless to say after losing my home and all of my possessions I was a tad out of it. As soon as my homeowners insurance began to give me trouble, I reached out to all my creditors to alert them of my situation. All of them except Chrysler offered me some type of payment arrangement. So I continued to make my payments ON TIME and in the midst of my family's crisis I forgot to make 1 payment by the due date. I called within days of due date to make payment, they had assessed late fees and refused to remove them. I begged them and explained my situation but refused to take fees off.

I gave up trying to argue with them (I don't have much fight left in me) but to my absolute horror, the late fees they charged were not applied against late fees at all, the idiot customer service rep applied what was supposed late fees towards my next month's payment, leaving me with outstanding late fees that have kept accumulating month after month. My most recent phone call just last week to Chrysler Capital and the customer service rep tells me "Gee I am sorry, we have a lot of customer service reps making mistakes" and then refuses to remove the single late payment from my history, I then asked to speak to the manager, He could have cared less about my situation. I begged him, Explained to him that one year later and I still have no settlement, living in a hotel with my two children, am in the middle of a divorce (fire has just been too much).

I am attempting to secure a home loan and the negative reporting has dropped my rating significantly. It was one time and I pleaded for goodwill. Nope nothing. I am disputing with the 3 credit agencies but it doesn't seem to be working. I have attached natural disaster to the negative report. You'd think that a single late payment following a Presidentially Declared Disaster would qualify for a goodwill gesture? Nope, not Chrysler. Needless to say, I will Never Ever not for all the money in the world ever buy or lease from them again. I'm going back to the German cars and Companies. So much for made in America!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Do not I repeat don't get a car from them. They are terrible. Will not work with you at all. Deferred payment out they will come up with every excuse in world to deny you and overtalk you. No empathy with clients. None at all. They refuse help anyone. No matter what after giving you third degree and drooling you to say, Denied we can't help you." I will never deal with them again. BEWARE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I had a car loan with Santander many, many years ago. I paid my loan in advance as I had received a death insurance payment. Santander took my money and never applied it to my loan as a payment as they should have. Long story short I paid for the little car I had 2 times over. A class action law suit needs to be filed

against this company. I looked at the reviews just to see if they had starting to do business in a truthful fashion. From the looks of these reviews they are still in the business of being crocks. They are really some dishonest people. Even when you pay on time they still come up with a reason to cheat you, "yes CHEAT" you. CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!!! Let's do this

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

To start this off, I first got an auto loan with this company about a year and a half ago. It's the company the dealership chose for me. Up until November of 2019, I never had a problem with them. That November a deer ran out in front of me, and I hit it. My insurance company ended up totaling out my car, and sent a large payment to Santander. After that payment I would only owe a little over $900 on my auto loan. After the big payment was processed, I called their customer service to see if they could add to my loan, or lower my monthly payments if additional money couldn't be borrowed.

First of all, it was difficult to understand the woman. After she finally understood that I wanted to add to my loan, she put me on hold for quite some time in order to ask someone else. She then tells me it's their policy that they can't add to loans. Okay fine, I can get another auto loan through someone else. I then asked if my monthly payments could be lowered because at the time my payments were $245, and that is just ridiculous to pay on the $900 that is left. She put me on hold again and said she had to ask someone else. She came back on the line and told me that they couldn't lower what I owe to them. That isn't even what I asked.

I corrected her and said, "I'm not trying to get you to lower the amount I owe, I'm trying to see if my monthly payments could be lowered." She then got very nasty with me and said, "I knew what you meant, the answer is the same!" What?!?! Never in my life have I ever had a customer service rep talk to me this way! I finally had to just hang up. So to be honest, unless you want to risk this happening to you, I suggest going with a different company. Don't risk getting screwed over!!!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I went to the bank the day before Christmas to deposit a check then I was told the check wouldn't clear until the day after Christmas. Then on Thursday the day after Christmas I was told there was a 5 day block on my account from the fraud department at which time I requested that they just call the bank the check was with and try verify the check. They put in a request and then didn't try and on the 5th day a Tuesday New Year's Eve I was told that I was told wrong and that the funds wouldn't be available until the 3rd which is my wife's birthday. Me and my wife both took our vacation time for the first time since our 3 children who are all 7 years old were born. This has been a horrible holiday when I could have just went to the bank the check was with and cashed it. I'm so hurt.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I had experienced a loss after Hurricane Harvey, and I financed a vehicle from CarMax through Santander in October 2017. It was a 2015 Infiniti Q40. I had no issues until that vehicle was in a car accident and totaled (July 2019). My situation was a bit unique because my insurance agent at the time did not do his due diligence to ensure that my plan had no lapse, so my total loss was covered under the agency's supplemental insurance. Now I communicated all of this to Santander, every department that contacted me, yet they stated that they had to "repossess" my vehicle to ensure payment, even after I had the insurance representative contact them to communicate that the claim would be paid. Santander continued to charge me miscellaneous fees. I still moved forward with following their instructions but they became dismissive as soon as they "repossessed" my vehicle.

I called several times to speak with someone higher up and even filed a formal complaint. I have not received any feedback or correspondence about my complaint to this day. I continue to receive phone calls for payment but never spoke with anyone about what the "misc fees" were that they applied to my account that would not allow my account to be paid in full. Even when I did speak with someone regarding payment, no one was ever able to explain what the "misc fees" were.

I am very disappointment with how I was treated and how my total loss was handled. When I called to make sure the insurance checks would be applied to my account I was treated as if I was a liar and told to contact their "third party". The third party that they work with (Allied) is entirely another issue, but they were rude and dismissive, just as Santander. I could barely get ahold to the individual that was helping me. I also had to check behind all of his work. When I contacted him I didn't get a response unless I emailed him, and when I complained about him to the manager I didn't even get a call back from the manager.

My accident was in July 2019 and I still have yet to speak with someone to get this account resolved, nor has my complaint been addressed. To date both insurance checks have been applied to my account, yet a "misc fees" was just applied in December 2019 to my account. I refuse to pay anything until I speak with a representative about my complaint. Even after the total loss settlement checks were applied to my account, my account was not paid in full. Not only that, Santander has a check from cancellation of service plan that they have not yet applied, or refuse to apply, to my account. Probably so they can get more money from me...

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Chrysler Capital is unwilling to work with you no matter what your situation may be. I’ve had a loss of income & have inquired about a loan modification & the only thing they say that they can do is set up a payment plan to bring my account current. I received a letter from them stating that they may have an assistance program available to me. Upon calling & speaking with Marcus on 12/26/2019, he repeatedly stated the only thing that is available to me is a payment arrangement which would require that I make a payment and a half until the account is current. **Keeping in mind that I lost my job in August & I have been attempting to work with them in regards to my account.**

If I’m having issues with making the regular monthly payments then how do they expect me to make a payment and a half while I’m unemployed? My family still has my husband’s income so I’ve asked them about a loan modification numerous times but they will not even discuss whether that may be an option for us. I definitely want to be able to keep the vehicle but Chrysler Capital does not seem to care about any type of hardships that caused the situation.

Santander Consumer USA Company Information