1.1/5 (34 ratings)

About Santander Consumer USA

Santander Consumer USA Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: March 29, 2022

I recently reach out Santander about my gap insurance check. They still have not sent my check even though my car been paid off since October. I will never use them again and customer service suck. Send me my money you had since December 13. This company sucks.

Original review: March 28, 2022

Bought a chair from Amazon, that turned out not to be as advertised. I had to contact the seller, and they wouldn't take the chair back. I filled out a complaint in the FTC and filed a claims dispute through Santander Bank. Turns out they sided with the company that lied in their advertisement, so I'm out that 185$.

Original review: March 22, 2022

I purchased a 2016 Versa Note finance through Santander Consumer USA. Made over 60 payment, cannot get this paid off, I found out this is a contract that interests accumulated. I was stuck in this contract. No way out. Will never get this paid off, I was told by Butler Nissan, "This car is paid for you. Need help. See a attorney asap."

Original review: March 4, 2022

I paid off my loan in Nov. of 2021. It is now March of 2022 & I'm still waiting for my refund. I was told my refund would be around $500 & now they are telling me it's $332.25. I've been getting different information which to me is just giving me the run around. No one knows what they are doing. When I called on Feb. 17th I was told that the check was mailed out. Before that I was told that it would take 21 days to be mailed out. Then today I was told that they are waiting on approval to even send the check out. Dealing with this company has been a total nightmare. Do not use the company. They rip you off & the service is horrible. I didn't even want to give them 1 star. I'm filing also with the BBB!!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Absolutely the WORST company ever! They are still ruining my life! I received the settlement check but my loan wasn't forgiven, I've been disputing the accuracy since it is something that I cosigned and was never informed by Santander when it went into default. Anyways when I recently submitted my dispute they CHANGED the records on my credit report and put that it was an open collection. When I disputed that, then they changed the date that my account was closed to a recent date although the account was ACTUALLY closed in March of 2019! Both updates they made dropped my credit score an additional 50 points! How can they do this? Lie to Experian, Transunion and Equifax and get away with it?!?!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

After reading several pages of 1 star reviews from these crooks, I just had to get my vent on! I had a car loan with these incompetent people two years ago, got in an accident (car ended up a total loss)… Mind you I only had two months left to pay it off after six years of payments. My adjuster calls me telling me that Santander says that I owe 3500 dollars! I said **! Please tell me how I managed to owe the EXACT amount that I was supposed to get from my accident??!! With only two months left to pay it off! These people apparently haven’t learned a thing from the multi-million dollar lawsuit from last year, which I received 200 and something dollars for… Gee thanks... I say this to say, going forward the lesson I had to learn the hard way is to ALWAYS look at reviews before you purchase, finance, eat out… Everything! And if you can, hire an attorney that can get the job done!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

This company is quick to finance your vehicle. STAY AWAY. They are not here to help. I have made multiple large payments and even a settlement payment. I have to get a lawyer to help me. The customer service is terrible.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

This company harasses you so much. I made a half payment and the next day they called 12 times!!! Then when you call back no one wants to answer. Then when you pay the rest of the amount they tack on the next payment as if your super late. I hate this company with a passion!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

I highly discourage using this loan service provider. They have you pay all of your financing upfront so that the principal is left on the vehicle within the last two years of you paying it off. What happens if you total your vehicle because of someone else’s negligence? You still have the entire principle to pay off on the loan. Do not do business with this company.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

In December 2021, my car lease was over. I decided to purchase my car. My new lender for the car loan is Santander Consumer. I had a previous autopayment set up to my previous account when the car was leased. I forgot to take off the autopayment, and accidentally paid twice for my car payment in January 2022. The amounts were $388 and $399. On January 20, 2022, I called Santander to have them send me a check for my overpayment. After a rude man answered the phone, I asked to be transferred to a manager. The manager explained to me that I had three options: use the overpayment toward next month's payment, get a prepaid VISA card sent to me, or fax them proof of payment from my bank so they can send me a check with the overpayment amount. She also mentioned that I have VISA card coming to me from a previous overpayment in November 2021. I did not authorize this nor was I made aware.

I decided to fax the payment proof from Chase bank. I was expecting to receive a check like the manager had stated on the phone. I never received a check. I called Santander to follow up on February 3, 2022 around 10:34 am EST. The representative (CHNE #**) Christopher answered my call. I began to explain my situation to him and was rudely cut off multiple times. I was not able to explain what happened without him cutting me off and telling me that I have a contract which states that any extra payments go toward the principal. I need to know why I was initially given three choices for a repayment on 1/20/22.

Christopher began to interrogate me with questions that he knew the answer to. He did not listen to my story at all. I was unable to communicate with him. He could not help me, and did not want to help me. He showed no empathy towards my situation and should not be working in customer service. I am being told different things by different people. I need some answers and my money back.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

If I could give them zero stars I WOULD! They are the absolute worse! I had COVID and was out of work for a week and half and I called to let them know that and they still kept calling me even after I told them I could not make the payment due to a shortage in my check. I offered to show proof but they "CLAIMED" they didn't need it and they would put a note in my file. They harass you for being ONE day late!!! I have never received so many phone calls in my life over a payment I TOLD THEM I WAS UNABLE TO PAY! They need to be shut down immediately! They are not friendly people and ALL OF THEM NEED TO BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Horrible service!!! Zero accountability, beware! So far worst finance company I ever dealt with. After 3 months of chasing down an overage payment after I refinanced with another company, they washed their hands, and allegedly sent off my refund to an unknown company in the form of a prepaid card...I didn't authorize this. After 6 calls or so following up with them, they give inconsistent updates and each customer service agent uses id #s to sound good but it is meaningless since they are Not of help anyway. If there was no stars on the review it would be better. Their phone 1888-222-4227. At this point I just about given up on my refund...so if you have time to waste and money to burn, deal with them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Dear heavens stay away from this company. I financed with them when I bought my daughter's car. Now I have refinanced the car with a credit union closer to home and they have lost the payoff check or applied it to another account. When I call they say there is no way that the check could have been misapplied. I asked how that's possible if a human being is keying in the numbers and she just went silent. So in order for my account to stay under the 30 day deadline so it doesn't affect my credit I am going to have to make another payment to these horrible people. I don't see how anyone could work for this company with a good conscience. Worst customer service I have ever encountered!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

Paid car off ahead of time, was never late on payments, never received title, called every month just about and got the runaround, every time spoke to someone got different answers, was told that title was mailed out but didn't put APT number and title was sent to motor vehicle, then told that we needed release of loan paper which they were supposed to send out to me but never received that either, called again and they didn't even have a account for me, still 9 months later and I haven't received the title, would never get a loan from them again, no one knows what they are doing and you can never get a straight answer.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I am so disappointed with the treatment Santander has presented me. I asked the Senior Advocate to investigate how my forbearance was presented to me by a Santander representative as I was told my loan would be frozen throughout the forbearance period and any missed payments would be added to the end of the loan and my loan would be extended by that time frame. I was on the call with the Hope Hotline, an organization Santander lists on the payment voucher as well as the call was recorded. It was never communicated to me that the payments were not frozen, but being forgiven and that I was incurring interest the entire time.

Fast forward to the end of my forbearance period, I am only being given the option of paying the lump sum including interest I should not have been incurring on a frozen loan, to either the end of the loan as a one lump sum payment, paying it all now or having the amount plus the interest spread across a new 40 year loan, essentially paying interest on interest. The Senior advocate did confirm that the loan was “paused,” but that it was a miscommunication that I would not be incurring interest. When we speak she hasn’t presented to me any information from the original call that Hope Hotline participated in and instead of helping come up with a mutual solution, she has just continued to push the same agenda that my loan was frozen, but I am still responsible for paying interest on my frozen payments.

All I ask is that Santander stand by the original agreement that my payments were frozen and I should not have accumulated the $6,000 in interest during the time the loan was paused. There is a recording of the conversations and you can review them at any time. I have had to take further action and report Santander to the Better Business Bureau and the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. Please note, Santander has not actioned either complaint since the phone call Phyllis made reiterating that I was just confused and didn’t understand the terms and it has been a month since the first complaint was filed.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I would give it 0 stars if it allowed me, but 1 will have to do. The representatives do not work with the customers at all and are VERY unprofessional. Their systems online to make a payment takes too long and YOU as the customer gets penalized for it when it is something that should have been taken out within that day or the next day and not 3-5 days.. They never gave me notice officially that my car was going to be repossessed. Even when I had the money in hand to make a payment to get current, they would not reinstate the terms. I guess they don't like getting money from customers. If anyone has a loan through them, just refinance with another company because they don't work with you and always against you for their faulty systems. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Santander.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

I purchased a 2011 BMW 750i just over 6 years ago. I made 72 payment on time and then, in October last year I traded the vehicle in at AutoNation Greenacres Florida. Subsequently, I received notice in December 2020 that Santander USA filed a 30 late notice on my account. I spoke with the Director of Finance at AutoNation and he provided me a letter on their letterhead that due to Covid 19 they had a shortage of staff and thus the final payment was delayed. So after 72 months (6 years of on-time payments), the dealership admits wrongdoing in a document signed by the Director of Finance. I also had my attorney provide a letter that stated that once I conveyed the vehicle to the dealership that I was no longer responsible for the vehicle. Thus, after providing these documents personally to Santander and Experian, and then after hiring Lexington Law to submit our case, Santander has yet to remove the 30 day late.

I'm an investor and my credit is imperative. My next step is to file a lawsuit against Santander USA and I may be able to pursue damages. They are liable and have a duty to acknowledge the auto dealership's admission of providing the late payment and the attorney's statement. I am now trying to obtain the contact name and address for service of process regarding this matter. Stay away from Santander, once you've completed a purchase they forget who you are. Buy American and Finance with a reputable bank in the good ole USA!!!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

If you are thinking about getting a car loan from them don’t even think about it! We’re in the middle of COVID-19 where everyone has lost their jobs and they make it seem like they wanna help you but they don’t! They told me to just start making small payments on my car and when I get employed all I have to do is make up for the money that I owe them. Nope! Instead they sneak and repossess my car without giving me any heads up or anything. No emails, no phone calls, no nothing.

I called them and asked why my car was taken away and all they said was, "We tried calling and left messages but no response," and I checked my phone history and messages and they only left one message in July and it is now October, like one message is supposed to do anything. I was only two months behind on my payments and I always pay on time and I was making my small payments because they told me as long as I do that the car won’t be repossessed. They took it away anyway! I explained to them I have the money that I owe on the car just give me till the next day because that’s when I get paid and my job called me back in to work. I am also pregnant. They sent out a letter to management and these idiots still said no! My car was all I had too.

Now I’m not sure how me and my unborn child is going to get around. Let alone get to work safely since a lot of women are going missing. And what I don’t understand is if you have the money to pay for the missing months you haven’t paid why still say no??? The lady I spoke to on the phone that sent the letter was very rude! All these idiots can say is that they're sorry and there’s nothing that they can do. Now my credit is all jacked up and I have a repossession in my name because they don’t care about their customers! Please don’t get a loan from them! I wish I can give this company zero stars and sue them!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

My son with high gpa wanted to upgrade his car. This competition I took advantage of my family. Even though I had an investigation with the attorney I had my sons towed away this morning. They approved a loan on a mom who only receives $1800 a month. They sold me a car worth $26000 for $66000. They thrive on the disabled. I have be more than happy to provide proof

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

The most deceptive and dishonest company that I have ever dealt with. They added thousands onto my auto loan after I got a 6 month extension during unemployment with COVID. No one can truly understand a 7 page contract with confusing mumbo jumbo about how much the additional fees and interest would accrue. Bottom line is they added 4400 in addition to the interest I would ordinarily pay. All while they were likely getting government bailout assistance because of covid. I have two other auto loans that treated me fairly under the same circumstances. The owners of this financial institution are outright opportunistic thieves.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I sold my car to an individual and Santander would only take online payments for 2999 per day. So it took me three days to pay the car off and when I called for a title they said, "No. You have to get a Fedex account and then have it sent to you." After doing that they said, "No. You need to get a statement from your bank saying you won’t cancel the payments before we release the title." It’s maddening!!! I sold my car to an individual 2 weeks ago, paid it off and they still won’t release the title. Ridiculously high interest rates and Horrible customer service!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

All I kept seeing was "reach out to Chrysler Capital". They will reverse finance fees that you have accumulated because of missed payments because of COVID-19" yet they do not care at all. I first went through a surprising divorce and then my life got uprooted and had to make major changes, I reached out to discuss it and first they "deferred payments". Gee thanks.

When I reached out regarding the fact I couldn't find work because of COVID and I was depending on my student loans to make payments they could careless, I asked twice for them to remove all the fees and they tell me I don't qualify for it... but no reason why. Almost every person I spoke with on the phone told me a different story or had no record of the conversations I had with the other representatives. A lot of them got rude to me and could care less that I was having trouble even feeding myself. I was so upset that I turned the car on back on May 30th instead of keeping it till it was up. I never got anything in the mail regarding anything with turning it in and now they are calling me again. I will never use this company again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

Waited two weeks and still waiting for the release of my vehicle. They said it takes 7 to 10 days. The check was posted on the 11th. Here it is the 21st and I still do not have my car. So Monday I should have my car.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I have been trying to close my checking account with Santander Bank for months now, and they say they can't over the phone and locked my account so I can't even get my money. They said I have to go into a branch to close my account. They are located in PA and I live in TX. I can't fly to PA to close my account. This is ridiculous that they can't close my account nor allow me access to my money without visiting a local branch. I feel that they are scamming me knowing I have no way of visiting a local branch to retrieve my money and close my account. My advice to anyone looking to open a new bank account to stay away from this bank.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

I purchased a truck from a dealer in Texas who uses Santander Consumer USA. After paying to loan off years early at NO discount, it took a month to get payoff confirmation and never sent title!! It cost me an additional $45 to order title online.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

DON'T USE THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE CROOKS. BEWARE!!! I was in a major accident. My car was totaled, the accident wasn't even my fault but regardless this company is taking over three months to process a insurance claim because of a missed picture of the odometer reading that they failed to ask my insurance company to supply!!!! I would call both of them & they both kept saying they were waiting on one another??!!

I finally made my insurance company call them on 3 way & they finally figured out that they never asked for the picture... Meanwhile back on the ranch without a vehicle for months they're now telling me I'm RESPONSIBLE for 3 months of late payments on a car I don't even have in my possession??!! The car was totaled on May 24th. It is now August & it was their mistake!!! This company is a joke. Very high interest rates & no compassion to a customer who made payments on time. I will keep giving bad reviews as much as I can possibly can!!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

I paid off my vehicle in full and was told that I had the amount of $111.00 coming back to me. This happened in May and they have told me they mailed out check on May 8th and I never received it so they allegedly reissued the check at the end of June, again I never received it. They then said they would issue a check to be delivered overnight delivery, and yet again I have nothing and that was a week ago. They have continually lied to me and stalled giving me my money back. I am about to take legal action. This company should face a lawsuit and be closed down.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I and my Deadbeat daughter are on the Title yet I get No notification in the mail when the monthly payment has not been made. I get a Notice of Right To Repossess. I have five days to make three back payments or the car is getting repossess. I call an attorney first. Then I call Santander...ask them why I did not receive any notifications for the past three months? Why their web page states, "Our commitment is to do everything we can for those affected by Coronavirus (COVID-19)." Ask them what can they do for me? No reply just, "How much can you pay today". I say first answer my questions. They can't 'cause they are stupid.

They also have posted on their web page ,"Have you been impacted by COVID-19? Learn what Santander Consumer USA is doing to assist those who need help with their payments. How we can help you", so I ask them for help and No reply. Just switched me to another Dummy. So I would not play their game so they hung up. Have both operators numbers. Can't get anyone on the phone with half a brain to help work this out.

6 day notification is not enough But it fell on deaf ears. No help and would not or could not answer my questions. Why was I not sent a notice that the car notes had not been paid...but then send me a notice 6 days before they are planning on taking back the car???? I am on the title...I have a right to know...I could have done something if notified at all not 6 days before. I am notifying the FTC, BBB, etc. of this...Just wanted to strong arm me into a payment.

Original review: July 24, 2021

When I got my car financed it took 2 months to get Santander to send any info. I paid my first note to the car dealership. Santander said I was late when it was their fault. It took forever to get caught up. Paid on the car every month for 3 years. Then one day woke up and the car was gone. Santander said the car hadn't been paid for in 2 years! They lied! And would not speak to me every time I called. I was put on hold for an hours! I finally gave up and now I have a repo on my record. I do not recommend Santander to anyone ever! Now I just heard from a friend they have Santander that is auto paid every month and they just got a letter saying it was gonna be repoed. I never even got a letter!

Original review: July 23, 2021

I paid my loan off in June. It's now almost August and they still have not provided the release of loan, so that I can get the title. I called and was told that it would take 15 days to receive. I called back after 15 days of not receiving anything. I was told that it would be resent, still nothing. I called again and was told that my previous request was rejected and was told just go to the DMV to get the title. I asked the representative why I was not contacted, she had no answer. She just kept saying that she was sorry. When I was late on a payment when I lost my job, they were blowing my phone up to receive payment. When I asked if they could assist because I had lost my job, they did nothing. If you are ever approved for a loan from Santander Consumer USA, don't take it.

Santander Consumer USA Company Information