Find a Loan Companies partner

2. Finance
  3. Loan Companies

1.2/5 (49 ratings)
Find a Loan Companies partner

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

About Santander Consumer USA

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

Santander Consumer USA Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: April 14, 2021

I would give this company ZERO stars if allowed. January 2021 I pay off my car loan in full. Received letter of pay off 2/2021 & letter of title transfer (my state does electronic title). I even received a check from Santander because I overpaid the pay off of car loan. 2nd week of April rolls around and I received a letter from Santander talking about getting my account current and it was from their debt collection department. Extremely perplexed, I called to see what all this was about as I have NO LOANS with them anymore. According to them, someone in 2020 made 2 additional payments to my account (unbeknownst to me). This makes absolutely no sense. Someone isn’t doing their job. I did mine and paid off my loan per their payoff and now they are trying to stick me with over $1300! Very poor customer service & communication!

Original review: March 19, 2021

Santander approved a subprime Predatory Car Loan with insanely high interest rate of 22%. I paid $500 a month for 2 years and it all went in their pockets, no deduction on the price of my loan. Highway robbery. I'd suggest not dealing with these crooks. For the money they took from me so far I could have bought 3 used vehicles in good working order. They refuse to refinance or renegotiate their loans with customers.

Original review: March 17, 2021

I am a retired Veteran got an auto-loan through Santander. They have been reporting differently to all three bureaus. To one bureau is on time every month (which it is correct - is on automatic pay), to another they reported three months and account closed, to another they I have been late since I got the car for over a year. I have called several times.

They never know what is going on and "...oh I will make a note someone will call you in the next 72 hours..." it takes over a full week for someone to call leave a phone number with their name... But when you return the call it does not go to that individual; it is another person who is read to write a note/comment and someone will call you in reference to your complaint in the next 72 hrs... when they do not end up yelling at you or hanging up and don't even bother to call you back. This is affecting me in BUYING MY HOME and Santander DO NOT CARE!!!! Look online... Only if I knew... They have a thousands and thousands of complaints!!!!

Original review: March 3, 2021

My financial situation recently impacted by Covid and was told by Santander I was covered for a 6 month period. I never received calls from them just a monthly statement with a monthly payment due. I call them to start to make payments and advised the acct was sent to a collection agency. Never informed me, never called me and was told they did not have my phone number. It somehow magically disappeared. They are shady and their CS reps.. don't care, dumb and ignorant towards certain people. NO HELP. BEHIND THE TIMES. STAY AWAY. I WILL TAKE ACTION! Who is interested in a class action lawsuit??!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

Charge me only interest for six month with the understanding that my interest would go down, not true. Never verified my info upon acquiring loan. JUST a list I have paid for years and doesn't go down as should interest rate. They renegotiated my terms after stating they didn't do that and of course added on longer I contacted the Attorney general in regards to this latest Enforcement investigation. These are the worst people and dishonest people the finance game yet they continue to remain in business.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Santander bank promises to protect their customers and our money. Two weeks ago while making legitimate purchases in my city of Brooklyn NYC, Santander bank shut off my debit card THREE times in 2 days and I had to verify my purchases. How embarrassing. However, a week later, somebody "skimmed my card and made over $500 of unauthorized purchases 800 miles away in Philadelphia PA. Not only did Santander bank not notify me, shut off my card, but allowed these purchases and told me to file a claim with them.

After filing the claim, Santander Bank decided to only give me $25.00 back from the fraudulent purchases. This is an insult to me and every customer who decided or will decide to use this bank. DO NOT USE SANTANDER BANK! SANTANDER BANK WILL NOT PROTECT YOUR MONEY. I asked to speak to a manager and my request was denied. I have now spent over an hour and a half on hold trying to speak to a manager. No one will help me. DO NOT BANK AT SANTANDER. THIS BANK IS THE WORST!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

All I will say is that you should never accept a car loan from this company. I do not have the words or the time to explain. You do not know me but I am asking you to trust what I am saying. You must refuse this loan or you will regret. All the reviews that you have read are accurate because almost almost everything that they have reported has happened to me; except the repossession. I am about helping others and it breaks my heart to read some of these reviews. This company is about making money, and doing it by taking advantage of hard working people who are trying to take care of their families and get through difficult times.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

Rude staff, will drop call on your if your question is too much of a hassle for them to answer. My loan was bought out by Santander a year ago and since then I've had headaches. They take forever to update your credit!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I ended up having my car payment with them and thought wow I like the system. It seems cool. But they tack on so many fees throughout the loan and when you finish paying it off they make you pay more.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

TLDR; If you see Santander on your loan agreement, RUN AWAY! Obviously, if you are here to see how Santander is, then there are plenty of one-star reviews to be had. I've paid my bills on time with no issues and no late payments whatsoever for almost 2 years. Covid Strikes and I still pay the bill for 2 months of having no job, due to quarantine. In March, I called them and explained that I have not had a job due to Covid, and request a deferment of payment until I get my job back. I was cleared into October.

October rolls around, Covid not being any closer to being resolved, and myself still being jobless, with barely enough money to feed my daughter and girlfriend while paying rent. I called and attempted to extend the deferment, and the guy says "No Problem, I can do that for you." I get a call the next day saying that my deferment was denied and I needed to pay them $400 that week (that I do not have and Unemployment was only $323 with $900 rent due in two weeks) or they'd send it to collections. They called me one more time a day later and then never again. I called to inquire if my payments were being deferred, and the "Customer Service Rep" said it was and I was okay until after Dec.

December rolls by, and not a whisper from them. Jan 5th Rolls around and a repo guy pulls my truck out from under me 5 minutes after I get it home and bring my kid some dinner (she was the only one who got to eat that night). I can only guess he followed me home from the store or was waiting at my apartment already. I called Santander in the morning when I discover that the vehicle is missing (After reporting it stolen to the police only to be informed that a vehicle matching mine was repossessed last night).

They said that I needed to Pay $2,500 to them or they would auction it off in ten days. I tried reasoning with them, and all they did was give me the runaround, passing me from service rep to service rep, promising to pass me to managers and an executive. I called again spoke to a rep, and they gave me the same $2,500 payment requirement again. I only had $10.00 to my name. So I had to get a friend to drive me up to pick up my belongings out of the truck, paying him the last $10.00 for gas.

I had important things in there that I need, ID, Prescription Medicine, Credit Cards, My Girlfriends Wallet was in there, with her social security card and my daughter's. There was absolutely no need for them to do this without even attempting to call me first. I personally hope that the owner(s) of Santander get sued en masse and go bankrupt, so they get a taste of what they dish out. If a Collective Lawsuit is EVER started against these crooks, I want in on it. If you made it to the bottom of this, learn from my mistake; Never let Santander be your banker in an Auto Deal.

Santander Consumer USA Company Information