Find a Loan Companies partner

2. Finance
  3. Loan Companies

1.1/5 (41 ratings)
Find a Loan Companies partner

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

About Santander Consumer USA

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

Santander Consumer USA Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santander Consumer USA?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

DON'T USE THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE CROOKS. BEWARE!!! I was in a major accident. My car was totaled, the accident wasn't even my fault but regardless this company is taking over three months to process a insurance claim because of a missed picture of the odometer reading that they failed to ask my insurance company to supply!!!! I would call both of them & they both kept saying they were waiting on one another??!!

I finally made my insurance company call them on 3 way & they finally figured out that they never asked for the picture... Meanwhile back on the ranch without a vehicle for months they're now telling me I'm RESPONSIBLE for 3 months of late payments on a car I don't even have in my possession??!! The car was totaled on May 24th. It is now August & it was their mistake!!! This company is a joke. Very high interest rates & no compassion to a customer who made payments on time. I will keep giving bad reviews as much as I can possibly can!!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

I paid off my vehicle in full and was told that I had the amount of $111.00 coming back to me. This happened in May and they have told me they mailed out check on May 8th and I never received it so they allegedly reissued the check at the end of June, again I never received it. They then said they would issue a check to be delivered overnight delivery, and yet again I have nothing and that was a week ago. They have continually lied to me and stalled giving me my money back. I am about to take legal action. This company should face a lawsuit and be closed down.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I and my Deadbeat daughter are on the Title yet I get No notification in the mail when the monthly payment has not been made. I get a Notice of Right To Repossess. I have five days to make three back payments or the car is getting repossess. I call an attorney first. Then I call Santander...ask them why I did not receive any notifications for the past three months? Why their web page states, "Our commitment is to do everything we can for those affected by Coronavirus (COVID-19)." Ask them what can they do for me? No reply just, "How much can you pay today". I say first answer my questions. They can't 'cause they are stupid.

They also have posted on their web page ,"Have you been impacted by COVID-19? Learn what Santander Consumer USA is doing to assist those who need help with their payments. How we can help you", so I ask them for help and No reply. Just switched me to another Dummy. So I would not play their game so they hung up. Have both operators numbers. Can't get anyone on the phone with half a brain to help work this out.

6 day notification is not enough But it fell on deaf ears. No help and would not or could not answer my questions. Why was I not sent a notice that the car notes had not been paid...but then send me a notice 6 days before they are planning on taking back the car???? I am on the title...I have a right to know...I could have done something if notified at all not 6 days before. I am notifying the FTC, BBB, etc. of this...Just wanted to strong arm me into a payment.

Original review: July 24, 2021

When I got my car financed it took 2 months to get Santander to send any info. I paid my first note to the car dealership. Santander said I was late when it was their fault. It took forever to get caught up. Paid on the car every month for 3 years. Then one day woke up and the car was gone. Santander said the car hadn't been paid for in 2 years! They lied! And would not speak to me every time I called. I was put on hold for an hours! I finally gave up and now I have a repo on my record. I do not recommend Santander to anyone ever! Now I just heard from a friend they have Santander that is auto paid every month and they just got a letter saying it was gonna be repoed. I never even got a letter!

Original review: July 23, 2021

I paid my loan off in June. It's now almost August and they still have not provided the release of loan, so that I can get the title. I called and was told that it would take 15 days to receive. I called back after 15 days of not receiving anything. I was told that it would be resent, still nothing. I called again and was told that my previous request was rejected and was told just go to the DMV to get the title. I asked the representative why I was not contacted, she had no answer. She just kept saying that she was sorry. When I was late on a payment when I lost my job, they were blowing my phone up to receive payment. When I asked if they could assist because I had lost my job, they did nothing. If you are ever approved for a loan from Santander Consumer USA, don't take it.

Original review: July 19, 2021

I did not get the promotion Bonus of $225 for opening a Simply Right Check account. If I could give Santander a negative rating, I would do it. I open the account on-line at Santander website on 11/17/2020 during their promotion time. Santander offered a bonus of $225 for people to open a new Simply Right Checking with qualified activities such as direct deposit and Bonus will be paid in 90 days. Santander did NOT provide promotion code at their website and there was no entry to enter for the promotion code when open the account on-line. After 90 days, and I met their requirements, I called them in the begging of March, 2021 regarding to the bonus which I did not received yet. The representative told me I was supposed to received the Bonus and I had to wait until 3/18/2021. He did not mentioned promotion code.

In the begging of April, 2021, I called them again, The answer was unbelievable. The representative said;" the Bonus was denied because you did not put promotion code." I want to state again that they did not provide promotion code on the website during November 2020 to open the Simply Right Checking account. What's more terrible was he asked you to recall all the details 4 months when you open the bank account on-line to make you feel you made a mistake not to put a promotion code. Didn't Santander know how their website operating system worked? They must know it.

Santander did not keep their promise to give people Bonus. The promotion offer on-line WAS PHONY. Santander bank is a DISHONEST bank! Be careful and stay away! I also would like to say: For those who have a loan with Santander bank should look at your contract carefully in the begging when you apply for the loan, and do not let them play with you because this is a dishonest bank.

Original review: July 12, 2021

During these difficult days, we all are struggling but don't ask SC for help, they don't give a rip. I have been paying on my loan for over 3 years and over the last year, I have made my payments early and for more than the amount. If you ask for their help to try and make some changes to the interest rate or payments, the only options they have is get some other bank to pay it off. Even if you set up auto-pay, they won't even give you 0.05% off the interest payments and I am at 15.96% interest (I am getting nowhere fast). I would never recommend this company, nor will I ever use them in the future! NO HELP!

Original review: June 23, 2021

Went to Chrysler dealership to buy a used Challenger they was advertising. Spoke to salesmen in advance. Give him my credit info in advance. He said I qualified. When I got at the dealership he had a brand new Renegade waiting for me. Told me Renegade 0$ down 485 per month or 3000 down 579 per month for used Challenger. I fell for it the old bait and switch. When the Pandemic hit tried get rid of stupid Renegade. Big trouble. Had to voluntary turn it in at a big lost. If you go to the dealer looking for a used car Don't let them sell you a new one.

Original review: June 14, 2021

This bank think nothing of abandoning long standing customers and NOT offering any alternatives. I can't even close an account because you have to appear in person at a branch, and the closest branch is now 2+ hours away.

Original review: June 2, 2021

I don't even know where to begin. First my loan was predatory to begin with (and don't think I don't know about the multi governor lawsuit), but then 2 hours after I bought my car my home burned down. They helped none. A week after buying the car and 3 more times it broke down and I was charged hundreds...2 years later those issues are part of a dangerous recall and Kia is ignoring the fix because I can be part of the lawsuit endangering my life in the process. Then covid happens. I have lupus and was trapped home, my life at risk while they supposedly helped me by deferring payments at the 23% interest rate knowing I was desperate. I couldn't give up my car. I have lupus and have to make Dr appointments all month.

Now I find out EVERY SINGLE PAYMENT I HAVE EVER MADE was only applied toward interest. Not one bit for 2 years came off of my 17,000 I bought it at. I still owe 17000 plus and they want to say my payoff is 20,000 after getting 12,000 from me. YOU WILL BE SUED!!! Someone needs to stop this company. And why are you reporting I owe 20,000 on my credit when in my app where I make payments I owe 17,000???? I gave you $3000 recently. Where is that???

Original review: May 30, 2021

As an old person, wasn't sure if online was safe. So I had to go to bank building to check on my accounts. Decided to try online a while back when pandemic started. Now I am enjoying this convenience.

Original review: April 23, 2021

On March 27th, 2015 I started my car loan with Santander, Each 27th of a month I was charged 287.93$ for my car payment. All my payments paid on time with no late fees/issues. Since I open my bank account (2011), I DIDNT change any of my Banking information. All those years my payments received on time and I didn’t receive any call regarding payment issues from Santander.

On March 18th, 2021, I noticed that on my Santander online profile I have a late fee of 4.93$. I called Santander customer service and I was told that thanks to my payment history they will process a waiver to that fee and will charge the balance as they always did. On March 24th, 2021, I checked again my online profile to make sure the fee waived and noticed that fee again. I called Santander customer service, and I was told that the reason I saw the same amount again was because the manager views my file and waived the fee. I asked the representative what my balance, he replies 98.77$ and I authorized him to charge my account for the last payment, He congratulates me on my final payment and I understand it a done deal and my account is good.

On April 2nd, 2021, I received a call from a Santander representative that told me my car was towed, I asked him why the towing company called him if I paid my car in full, He replies that it's taking time to release their name as a lien holder (up to 30 days) and that’s the reason the towing company called him and not me. The morning after I released my car from the towing company and paid them in full.

On April 16th, 2021, I received an email that my credit score got decreased and when I logged in to my Credit Score account I saw a late fee with my car payment. I called Santander customer service to understand why (If I already authorized to charge my account for 98.77$) they report a late payment to the credit companies. The representative went over my history and told me that he can see that I always paid on time (Even in 2020 that I was unemployed) and there’s no manager in to take my call and to try again during the week.

On April 22nd, 2021 I called Santander and asked for a manager, Nicole answered me and told me as well that my history looks good, and then she transfers me to the executive manager (because she can’t help me with credit reports), I was waiting for 5-10 minutes, then Nicole got to the phone again and tried to push my complaint to another day or to wait 24-48 hours for a call back from them, I insist and asked to keep waiting and speak to executive manager, after 5-10 someone pick up the call and checked my file.. He said that because they (as a loan company) authorize to charge the same amount only (287.93$) and my balance was different from the amount above they couldn’t charge my account and this is why it became a late payment and that he cannot help me with my complaint.

Original review: April 17, 2021

First of all I have never heard of this company nor had any business dealings with this company and yet they say through a collection agency that I owe them 8k. This is a lie and false Accusations and they need to check their records.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I would give this company ZERO stars if allowed. January 2021 I pay off my car loan in full. Received letter of pay off 2/2021 & letter of title transfer (my state does electronic title). I even received a check from Santander because I overpaid the pay off of car loan. 2nd week of April rolls around and I received a letter from Santander talking about getting my account current and it was from their debt collection department. Extremely perplexed, I called to see what all this was about as I have NO LOANS with them anymore. According to them, someone in 2020 made 2 additional payments to my account (unbeknownst to me). This makes absolutely no sense. Someone isn’t doing their job. I did mine and paid off my loan per their payoff and now they are trying to stick me with over $1300! Very poor customer service & communication!

Original review: March 19, 2021

Santander approved a subprime Predatory Car Loan with insanely high interest rate of 22%. I paid $500 a month for 2 years and it all went in their pockets, no deduction on the price of my loan. Highway robbery. I'd suggest not dealing with these crooks. For the money they took from me so far I could have bought 3 used vehicles in good working order. They refuse to refinance or renegotiate their loans with customers.

Original review: March 17, 2021

I am a retired Veteran got an auto-loan through Santander. They have been reporting differently to all three bureaus. To one bureau is on time every month (which it is correct - is on automatic pay), to another they reported three months and account closed, to another they I have been late since I got the car for over a year. I have called several times.

They never know what is going on and "...oh I will make a note someone will call you in the next 72 hours..." it takes over a full week for someone to call leave a phone number with their name... But when you return the call it does not go to that individual; it is another person who is read to write a note/comment and someone will call you in reference to your complaint in the next 72 hrs... when they do not end up yelling at you or hanging up and don't even bother to call you back. This is affecting me in BUYING MY HOME and Santander DO NOT CARE!!!! Look online... Only if I knew... They have a thousands and thousands of complaints!!!!

Original review: March 3, 2021

My financial situation recently impacted by Covid and was told by Santander I was covered for a 6 month period. I never received calls from them just a monthly statement with a monthly payment due. I call them to start to make payments and advised the acct was sent to a collection agency. Never informed me, never called me and was told they did not have my phone number. It somehow magically disappeared. They are shady and their CS reps.. don't care, dumb and ignorant towards certain people. NO HELP. BEHIND THE TIMES. STAY AWAY. I WILL TAKE ACTION! Who is interested in a class action lawsuit??!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

Charge me only interest for six month with the understanding that my interest would go down, not true. Never verified my info upon acquiring loan. JUST a list I have paid for years and doesn't go down as should interest rate. They renegotiated my terms after stating they didn't do that and of course added on longer I contacted the Attorney general in regards to this latest Enforcement investigation. These are the worst people and dishonest people the finance game yet they continue to remain in business.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Santander bank promises to protect their customers and our money. Two weeks ago while making legitimate purchases in my city of Brooklyn NYC, Santander bank shut off my debit card THREE times in 2 days and I had to verify my purchases. How embarrassing. However, a week later, somebody "skimmed my card and made over $500 of unauthorized purchases 800 miles away in Philadelphia PA. Not only did Santander bank not notify me, shut off my card, but allowed these purchases and told me to file a claim with them.

After filing the claim, Santander Bank decided to only give me $25.00 back from the fraudulent purchases. This is an insult to me and every customer who decided or will decide to use this bank. DO NOT USE SANTANDER BANK! SANTANDER BANK WILL NOT PROTECT YOUR MONEY. I asked to speak to a manager and my request was denied. I have now spent over an hour and a half on hold trying to speak to a manager. No one will help me. DO NOT BANK AT SANTANDER. THIS BANK IS THE WORST!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

All I will say is that you should never accept a car loan from this company. I do not have the words or the time to explain. You do not know me but I am asking you to trust what I am saying. You must refuse this loan or you will regret. All the reviews that you have read are accurate because almost almost everything that they have reported has happened to me; except the repossession. I am about helping others and it breaks my heart to read some of these reviews. This company is about making money, and doing it by taking advantage of hard working people who are trying to take care of their families and get through difficult times.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

Rude staff, will drop call on your if your question is too much of a hassle for them to answer. My loan was bought out by Santander a year ago and since then I've had headaches. They take forever to update your credit!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I ended up having my car payment with them and thought wow I like the system. It seems cool. But they tack on so many fees throughout the loan and when you finish paying it off they make you pay more.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

TLDR; If you see Santander on your loan agreement, RUN AWAY! Obviously, if you are here to see how Santander is, then there are plenty of one-star reviews to be had. I've paid my bills on time with no issues and no late payments whatsoever for almost 2 years. Covid Strikes and I still pay the bill for 2 months of having no job, due to quarantine. In March, I called them and explained that I have not had a job due to Covid, and request a deferment of payment until I get my job back. I was cleared into October.

October rolls around, Covid not being any closer to being resolved, and myself still being jobless, with barely enough money to feed my daughter and girlfriend while paying rent. I called and attempted to extend the deferment, and the guy says "No Problem, I can do that for you." I get a call the next day saying that my deferment was denied and I needed to pay them $400 that week (that I do not have and Unemployment was only $323 with $900 rent due in two weeks) or they'd send it to collections. They called me one more time a day later and then never again. I called to inquire if my payments were being deferred, and the "Customer Service Rep" said it was and I was okay until after Dec.

December rolls by, and not a whisper from them. Jan 5th Rolls around and a repo guy pulls my truck out from under me 5 minutes after I get it home and bring my kid some dinner (she was the only one who got to eat that night). I can only guess he followed me home from the store or was waiting at my apartment already. I called Santander in the morning when I discover that the vehicle is missing (After reporting it stolen to the police only to be informed that a vehicle matching mine was repossessed last night).

They said that I needed to Pay $2,500 to them or they would auction it off in ten days. I tried reasoning with them, and all they did was give me the runaround, passing me from service rep to service rep, promising to pass me to managers and an executive. I called again spoke to a rep, and they gave me the same $2,500 payment requirement again. I only had $10.00 to my name. So I had to get a friend to drive me up to pick up my belongings out of the truck, paying him the last $10.00 for gas.

I had important things in there that I need, ID, Prescription Medicine, Credit Cards, My Girlfriends Wallet was in there, with her social security card and my daughter's. There was absolutely no need for them to do this without even attempting to call me first. I personally hope that the owner(s) of Santander get sued en masse and go bankrupt, so they get a taste of what they dish out. If a Collective Lawsuit is EVER started against these crooks, I want in on it. If you made it to the bottom of this, learn from my mistake; Never let Santander be your banker in an Auto Deal.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I bought a vehicle from Ford company. Was given 90 days before first payment was due. When I went to tag vehicle found out my paperwork was all wrong and I had a new lien holder. That my account had been sold to Santander. They were already finding me in default because my agreement with the ford company was not fulfilled or upheld by Santander. So the extended car payments were null and void. Also the interest rates were so much higher. I would never have agreed to these terms. I have been buried alive by such actions.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

I was picked up by Santander for an auto loan. I was never sent a bill. Just a text with an 800 number to call. I was in Perú South America for three weeks and got a letter saying I was late which I expected. I called to make a payment and was told I had to set up an online account for payment which I did. They said they will take Visa. When I went to put in amount it wouldn’t go through. They said I could make a payment up to 2999. Fine. I thought I make 7 payments in a row my loan for 21000 will be paid off. Guess again. I went online to get a payoff. Could not get it.

I went the the Ford dealership where I and my fat have done business for 20 years. They got me a payoff amount and said, "Bring me the certified bank check. We will overnight it to them from our dealership" which I did. Now I try to check my online account and I can’t get through. Says ID or password not balas. What a bunch of crooks. The dealership has six covering all makes were so shocked at their behavior. They will not let a customer use them. Please stay away from them

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

If I see a big class action lawsuit against this company, I will be the first to jump in to testify despite what the payout is. This company destroys your finances, do harassment, will not resolve any issue, and most importantly, towed the auto you bought with shady repo towing companies, it will destroy your credit and life all for a few hundred dollars. To make the story short, they towed my vehicle which I accidentally left my credit card in the vehicle and found out that one of them stole it and used it to make an online wine purchase immediately. I filed a complaint with the owner and Santander USA. Only the owner cared but not Santander, that company could give a hoot. Then to get the car out, they told me if I send a Western Union of almost $2,000, they will not send it to auction and told me a deadline date and time before noon.

Well, guess what? I sent that money through Western Union well before noon and I called later, it was already towed to the Auction and I will have another $2,000 to pay except I can do it from their bills. I explained many times constantly for months to please remove that $2,000 but they never did. The next time, I didn't care and refused to pay into their extortion so Santander USA towed the car, again. I said good riddance and ignored their phone calls. I don't have the car ever since but they decided to ruin my credit score. All these events happened before Covid-19 Pandemic, mind you. Santander USA is up there with the Mafia!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

After paying faithfully $687 a month for two years! My husband lost his job to Covid, my mother passed in April, we now raise our 5 yr old granddaughter along with our 10 yr old son. We ended up losing our home! But I still kept in contact begging for help, extensions, but nothing!! Very cold, oh well attitudes from customer service! My husband receives very little unemployment, but we took it to use to buy our son and now full-time granddaughter very few things for Christmas. She was so excited walking around the store singing Christmas songs, drinking her little cup of hot chocolate.

Finally done we come outside to find the tow truck (Repo) had followed us, not knowing and watched us get out of the truck with our very small granddaughter to go into Walmart. We come out to no vehicle on a very cold night. We had a few Christmas presents in the truck so it was devastating!!! We told you two years ago that was a lot of money a month but you assured us we could do it and eventually refinance to make the payments cheaper!!!

You took our truck in a Walmart parking lot, on a cold night with our children's FEW Christmas gifts that we are now having to fight for!!! Our children are devastated, you could have called and told us, we would have said pick up at a time the children were not around. You didn't break our spirit Santander, our children have been through so much since March. Our Christmas spirit will move on because we have Our children, a roof over our head and most importantly God!!! Merry Christmas Scrooge Santander Consumer!!! How do you sleep at night?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Called Santander to let them know I missed 2 weeks of work because of covid testing and me being sick. Said I could pay it in two weeks from today, I was told that after 10 days I will be charged a late fee! Say what?! Late fee! So this company is telling you don’t get sick, you will still be charged a late fee. So Santander does not have any late fee waiver? The only other option was to extend my payment out, and I do not want to do that. So whatever you do, don’t get Covid or testing or get sent home for a week, you will pay a late fee. 2 more years of dealing with this joke of a company, who still employs a number of heavy accented individuals whom I can barely understand. After this vehicle is paid, never again Santander.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

My daughter purchased a car at a dealer for $9,000 in May 2020. She put $4,000 down and took out a loan with Santander Consumer USA for $5,000. She thought the loan was being charged to one of her 3 bank accounts. It never was and after 3 months she received a letter saying she needed to pay the 3 month balance in 10 days. On the day she received the letter she didn’t have enough money to pay the balance so she waited until her next biweekly paycheck to pay it which would be 11 days later.

On the day she was going to pay the bank they repossessed her car without any notification. Although she was at fault for not making sure she was making payments, she would have if they communicated with her. She certainly had the money. No phone calls, no emails, and no mail until 90 days later and then they repossess it 11 days later. I have excellent credit and they wouldn’t allow me to co-sign, take over the loan or even pay the full balance. The customer service was terrible. It took 30 minutes on the phone to reach someone. I would not recommend these weasels.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

They acquired my loan during the last six months of a five year loan. I was NOT a sub-prime loan and I have outstanding credit. For the four and a half years leading up to Santander acquiring our loan we had NEVER been late. In fact I always paid more than minimum through an automated payment. When it came time to make my final payment for a measly $175 balance, Santander stopped withdrawing the payments and didn't tell me that they were doing so. I was expecting them to simply withdraw the last payment and pay off the loan.

Unfortunately one single late payment like this hit my credit report immediately and dinged me 25 points while I'm right at the tail end of refinancing both my primary residence and an investment property. They also do NOT let you speak to a live person and didn't even bother to reach out and speak to me after I filed a Dispute through the credit bureaus. Horrible company and I will NEVER EVER do business with them again.

Santander Consumer USA Company Information