2. Mortgages

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Provident Funding Associates Reviews

Original review: April 19, 2020

RUN FAR AND FAST BEFORE DEALING WITH PROVIDENT FUNDING. While going through a divorce, I found out that the Provident Funding mortgage on my house was way more than I thought the balance should be. After some very thorough investigating and finding mortgage documents, with a balance of over $225,000 when the original loan was less than that in 1997, I was shocked.

Evidently, the refinanced loan in 2011 incorporated a forged mortgage from 2005. The 2005 mortgage, verified by a handwriting analyst that not only did I not sign the loan documents in 2005, but my ex did sign the documents. Far worse, I had unmitigated proof that I couldn't have attended because I not only was in the hospital, but I was under the influence of narcotic drugs administered IV, every three hours round the clock. Any signature from me, even if it was my signature would not have been allowed because I could not legally enter into any contract while under the influence of narcotics.

To make matters worse, during the divorce proceedings, the arbitrator, retired Judge Dilts, from Somerset County, ignored the proofs and handwriting analyst submission, that it was not my signature and stated I must have known about the loan. How can a retired Judge totally ignore the rules of court and know what I was going through or thinking in 2005.

During the divorce, even though my ex was not allowed to stop paying the mortgage, due to it being part of support order he did. House like everything else was in his name only, but all liens, mortgages etc had to be acknowledged and signed by marital partner(NJ Law). This forced the house into the foreclosure process. Again, the retired Judge Dilts of Somerset County, NJ ignored the law and ignored the fact that there even was a house as part of the marital assets. He stated, since it is probably going to be lost due to the bankruptcy and it is in the jurisdiction of the bankruptcy trustee, we will just ignore it exists. REALLY. Ignoring a marital assets, no matter what's it status even exists IS CRIMINAL.

IT KEEPS GETTING BETTER. When I finally, got my divorce in January 2019, the Judge kindly gave me 60 days to refinance my marital home and save it from foreclosure. He didn't know or care that mortgage companies took far longer than 90 days to mortgage a home at that time, especially when it is a first time home buyer. He also didn't know and either did I that the mortgage company needed 6 months of income as proof of ability to pay.

The Judge ordered my ex to assist in anyway necessary, to refinance the home and to provide any needed documents. Since, PROVIDENT FUNDING was the CURRENT MORTGAGE HOLDER, I DECIDED, I WOULD WORK WITH THEM. I actually felt bad that my ex screwed them over for the money he owed them, so I would try to right that wrong.

First PROVIDENT BROKER TOLD ME NOT TO DO A LOAN MODIFICATION, SINCE HIS BAD CREDIT WOULD BECOME MINE. I later found out this was not true. They can't report on your credit report someone else history. Then I entered into the process of applying for a mortgage. I was immediately approved based on my credit score.

THE FUN BEGINS. I was made to jump through hoop after hoop after hoop repeatedly. I provided all the documents requested. Provident knew my ex was required to sign over a quitclaim deed, they conversed with him and they continually got miss information from him, but went with that instead of court orders. Even though my ex was required to maintain the marital home again based on court orders, it was such a mess, that after my approval I dumped all sorts of money into the home to bring it up to its original condition.

While the bankruptcy trustee, was going to make it a non-asset case I had the house fixed than appraised out at $480K approximately. In the dead of winter, Provident wanted the pool filled to the top. That alone cost $2200 to have water trucked in. The balance owed on the loan at this point was only $225,000 but rapidly growing with the $18 a day in interest.

After the appraisal, the Broker wanted me to have my ex sign over the quitclaim deed directly to them. Thus, saving them having to go through a foreclosure process and stealing my home from me. I realized this and told them no, the Judge said he was to sign it over to me. Mind you now it is May and my 60 days has long passed. My ex is pushing to sell the home to a house flipper to get out of the mortgage and cut me out of any profits from a normal sale.

Because I refused to have my ex sign the deed over to them instead of me, they pulled my approval. That is right after dragging the process out, knowing the parameters of the court order, they pulled the approval because I would not have my ex quitclaim the deed to them. Through this whole process, I had continued to put money into the house thinking I was investing into my own home. Now, Provident funding decides to pull the loan approval after I dumped money into a house, they were now going after with over $200k of equity.

PROVIDENT FUNDING, way back in 2005 started these abuses in motion. Their notary or closing attorney should have never closed on a loan, which removed all the equity from my marital home, without me being there. That is what a notary is required to do when notarizing a signature, verify that the person is present and watch them sign the documents. That didn't happen.

When the mortgage was refinanced in 2011 and I was coerced into signing right in front of the mortgage companies representative/notary. The process should of stopped because she could see I was under duress. I also was never allowed to see the terms or the whole document package I was required to sign. I was only allowed to see the signature page. The mortgage incorporated a past mortgage I did not participate in acquiring and the current document, amounts and terms.

I was told to just sign and that the term of the mortgage was the only thing that changed. The mortgage would go from a 30 year term to a 10 year term. AGAIN LIED TO, IT WAS A 15 YEAR LOAN AND THE AMOUNT WAS INCLUDING THE AMOUNT FROM THE FORGED MORTGAGE FROM 2005 which I never became aware of until 2018

Now it is 2020, amidst a Pandemic and a moratorium on foreclosures, I get a letter from PROVIDENT FUNDING'S ATTORNEY, that my home was going up for Sheriff's sale. Ignoring the reason for the Governor's order, so not to stress people during these trying and unprecedented times. Not provident, they could care less that a disabled woman, suffering from cancer to name just one such major illness was served with notice of a sheriff's sale.

While this part isn't PROVIDENT FUNDING'S ISSUE, my ex in January, long before the PANDEMIC, fled the State of NJ, never informed the Probation department as required of his move and stopped paying support. So here I sit, waiting for a sheriff's sale with no money to go anywhere and nowhere to go with my 2 service dogs.

PROVIDENT FUNDING BROKE ALL SORTS OF LAWS BY ALLOWING A CLOSING WITHOUT BOTH PARTIES PRESENT AS FAR BACK AS 2005. When I brought this to their attention, they take no responsibility for not doing their due diligence. It was no one, but Provident funding's responsibility to make sure I was present for signing mortgage documents on a marital home in new jersey in 2005.

Provident funding has go to be the most unfeeling, unscrupulous mortgage company out there. If they would go this far to harm an innocent spouse in New Jersey, what else can they do to anyone applying for a mortgage. It doesn't cost anything to hunt for mortgage companies. Do your due diligence and find a mortgage company that won't take advantage of you. The only thing this retired Judge did for me in my divorce, was to allow me to take legal action against the mortgage companies, which when I find a great attorney I will do so. I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH TO RUN FAR AND FAST FROM THIS MORTGAGE COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

If your loan gets assigned to Andy **, Pipe Analyst, from Texas... run!!!! He’s incompetent and will cost you money. He gave us false information during our refinance which cost us our approval. Then he denied every saying anything, even though I told him I had emails documenting him asking for said documents. All he could say was sorry. I’m thrilled to know that Andy ** will just get a slap on the wrist and Provident Funding will carry on making money while we pay for Andy’s mistakes with our hard earned cash. The best part was that Provident Funding asked us if we wanted to refinance our loan. They said they’ll help us and that we are capable of getting a smaller interest percent. I bet Provident’s staff gets bonuses for bringing in new work and benefits off our troubles.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I've been a loyal customer for 4 years, never late or missed payments. My Provident auto-pay was rejected by my bank in error and without my knowledge. When I noticed my checking was a little high and found no mortgage taken out, I called my bank and got it figured out. My next call to Provident was atrocious. The first rep wouldn't even talk to me, just verified me and said I was being transferred to the department best capable of handling my situation. (Keep in mind, I hadn't told them my situation yet, I didn't tell him why I was calling.)

When the second woman answered, I asked what department I was transferred to. She said it was the collections department. (I was 3 days past the due date.) The representative was short with me, would waive any fees, wouldn't explain why I wasn't notified and in fact told me there is no process to alert me to a missed payment other than a paper delinquency form which is mailed USPS. All in all, the entire call made me feel more and more upset. When asked how I can provide feedback on the situation she said their address is on the website and I can mail a letter. I'll never recommend this company and will move my mortgage first chance I get.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I have had a loan with Provident Funding for 15 years and decided that it would be a good time to refinance my loan now that rates are low. I went with Provident because I thought it would be an easy transition since I was already a customer with never a late payment in 15 years and I have a perfect credit score 800+. What a big mistake! I locked the rate 45 days ago and for the last month and a half they have requested endless amounts of information. Upon supplying the information requested they continued to ask for more and more. It has been never ending and now the lock has expired and I need to start all over again.

In my opinion, I feel that they just want to keep me in the higher interest rate loan that I originated with them 15 years ago and were just delaying the whole process. I will still refinance my loan but it won't be with Provident! Read all of the other reviews... There's definitely a reason why so many people have given them a 1 star review. They're awful, look elsewhere for a mortgage!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

We initiated a lot line adjustment which is a very simple process, yet Provident found a way to make it very complex. The wording and descriptions was very unclear, even the title company and another mortgage company did not know what they meant. Upon calling to clarify, all they could provide was an orated response of the same wording! When asked to speak with the person in charge of the process, they could only restate the already written description.

After uploading documents, waiting 2-3 days for them to review the documents, I would then have to call back to ask if they were correct, to which I would be told no. They could not provide me with what they needed, rather than they did not have the right information. After a cat and mouse game for 4 weeks of submitting different items until they approved, the administrative fee was paid to actually start the process.

The day after the process was initiated, the person who was in charge of the process calls me to clarify the same questions I had asked 4 weeks prior! Provident also demanded wording changes to the release document which they said I needed to provide. This is typically provided by the mortgage company releasing a property.

The delays and miscommunication of information continued. The appraisal was delayed by a week and then approval of the appraisal was delayed another week. I had to call back on a daily basis for 2 weeks to keep the process moving and try and get accurate information. I was always treated with the scripted greeting "Provident thanks you for your business", then followed by the opposite action when treated disrespectfully and given the runaround and excuses. I was promised calls back and updates to which I rarely received.

After discussing with a customer service "manager" and respectfully explaining the journey, I was asked what Provident was willing to do to help mitigate all the delays that they have caused for a customer of over 10 years. The answer was nothing, I just needed to be more patient. No offer to refund a small administrative fee, no attempt to even make a customer feel like they were wanted. Small gestures to make customers feel like they are being served go a long way. Lack thereof ends in lost business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Provident Funding Associates?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

How to get negative 100 star? This lender does not even deserve one star!!!! I just got off the phone with them with a late loan payment due to the fire -power outage. The guy Whose name is Bill, ** is his number, told me that there is no one in the company is working today due to the fire in Santa Rosa. When I asked to talk to a manager. Too bad, I myself is in the North Bay, and knowing there is no fire today in Santa rosa, I insisted, and there is another guy, who is as horrible as the previous liar. They use the fire as a excuse, but they insist charging late fees, late due to fire)... I am refinancing, any lender will be better than this one. Never get a loan with this horrible, horrible company, I am an Realtor, Any lender will be better than this one.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I always pay early through my bank. This month apparently there was a glitch with the bank because my payment did not post. I sent payment as soon as I received a letter notifying me. I called to get the late fee waived as it was the first time being late and got a condescending run around from multiple people. All they care about is charging fees.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Almost thought I was being scammed, hesitant to give my information after receiving their robocall despite making a payment and confirmation of a received payment. I strongly encourage you to look elsewhere for all your future investment needs, we will.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I contacted Provident for a refinance, and without any information provided, the broker asked for SSN and approximate value of 401K. Stated I was surprised that he was asking these questions before we even discussed the loan amount, terms, interest rates, anything. He stated that is how they do business, need to verify if customer has the ability to repay a loan before proceeding. I felt this is dodgy practice and felt broker didn't want to waste time if i was under-qualified, and since when to you have to reveal the value of a 401K plan? I did not proceed any further.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

This company will try to hit you from every corner on charges that normally other providers would be lenient and understanding. Case in point: 1. Late charge - late only for 1 day and it was not a fault on my part for their system was down on the due date and couldn't make an online payment. 2. Charge home insurance premium without my knowledge or consent for there was an discrepancy in the coverage period when I switched to another insurance provider. There was an elapse of 6 days from my previous coverage to my current coverage. Not only that I was told in my previous switch of insurance providers there is a week grace period for the changeover.

Provident Funding Associates Company Information