1.36/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Provident Funding Associates

Looking for a mortgage lender?

161 Provident Funding Associates Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

****ZERO STARS**** This company needs to rot in hell where it belongs, PROVIDENT FUNDING is such a piece of greedy crap that could give two flying "**"'s about their good paying longtime customers. Please, for the love of GOD, do NOT start a loan with PROVIDENT FUNDING ever. If you have always paid on time and were never late making a payment for years and then one day you are late due to a weather related USPS delay, they will hit you with a $45 late fee. No, they do not care about you and no matter how many times you contact them at customer service and explain your situation, they will not reverse the late fee. Nothing will be resolved at customer service and they will hang up on you numerous times (RUDE!).

Also, they will ruin your credit score over one small late payment, just look at all of the numerous negative reviews of this company online. Too bad I did not look at all of the negative reviews before I opened up a loan with them, all I can do now is warn everyone to stay away from this company and save yourself. I will have to refinance with a different company because of the horrible way I was treated over one late payment beyond my control. Shame on this company and all of the employees that work for this toilet bowl of a company.

Original review: March 1, 2019

My wife and I had a mortgage with Provident Funding and we lost everything in the Camp Fire in Northern California. In 17 years we never had one problem with Provident Funding and the pay-off process after the fire was easy and explained well. In our case we drove to Santa Rosa and took care of the pay-off paperwork, gave them the insurance check and received our check from them in 6 days as they said. I have dealt with other mortgage companies in the past that were hard to deal with. Provident is the best I have dealt with and I plan to use them when we re-build or purchase soon.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I am not one to write reviews because there is always three sides to every story but 4 years ago Provident Funding returned our mortgage payment because it was $72 short only due to a change in taxes that we were not advised off and caused a logistical nightmare for a couple of days. Today, I had client who was with them for over 6 years with a perfect mortgage history who paid them off but also had their wire returned because it was $80 a short and a new wire cannot go out until it it hits the system and it came back after business hours.

They asked if they could waive the $100 late fee since they were paying off in full and never missed a payment and they were denied that request. Just really poor customer service and this is all a Fact. I did business with them for years and can honestly say it is a blessing not to deal with them anymore. I am not going to say anything nefarious because it I don't want to feed into all that negativity out there. I am sure there are some good people there but you are basically dealing with brainwashed kids in a cubicle. The company used to be known for having the lowest rates in the industry but thankfully that is not accurate or true today.

As a former customer and lender with them I can honestly say that I would say no thanks to them and it is always better to do business with people who not only appreciate your business but who will always try to do you right when there is an issue. I just outlined two egregious firsthand examples and now I have a plethora of others that aren't worth detailing. I now believe that perhaps all these people who post reviews and post are telling the spot on truth. Best of luck if working with them or having them service your mortgage in the future.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My husband and I have been clients of Provident Funding since Heritage Lending sold our mortgage to them. My husband passed away March 1, 2019. I made my normal payment over the phone as always in March. I received a letter in mid-March advising of an escrow deficit. I wanted to take care of the deficit and the payment in April. When I called to advise the company of my husband's death. The agent recommended using their online service, to take care of both. I made the payment and extra escrow payment April 6th.

Today, I received a letter that said my payment had been returned NSF. And a $20.00 fee was charged.. NOT BECAUSE OF INSUFFICIENT FUNDS.. but because a number was wrong on the routing or account number. They could easily have contacted me to recheck the numbers. I called a got the most insufferable, insolent **.. who insisted the charge could not be reversed.. and gave his smug condolences. I would advise if you are looking for a mortgage to look past this desperate, petty, greedy company. They are the epitome of a self serving greedy company. I will be moving my mortgage A.S.A.P. T. **.

Original review: April 14, 2019

When I contacted Provident to learn about recasting our mortgage, I was told I needed to send a letter specifying what we wanted to do and to include a check for the amount we wanted to include for the recasting. I was told nothing else. I did as I was told and sent the letter and our check. Our check for $185,000 was deposited on March 5th and I heard nothing else until I contacted Provident on March 29th. At that time, I was told I had to return a letter I never received by March 19th for the recasted loan to be effective in April. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why they did not contacted me on March 20th, the alleged due date, when they knew I wanted to recast our mortgage, signified by them depositing our check.

I was told by a manager on the phone that Provident’s policy was to wait until the end of the month, 12 days after my letter was due, before they would contact me. Really? That’s nothing but a total money grab. The manager told me it was our fault we didn’t receive the letter that we weren’t told we would receive (I would have followed up on it if I’d known). I’m curious if I’m able to use that line if I ever have a missed payment, that it was Provident fault that a payment wasn’t received?

These people are nothing but sleazy profit seekers. DO NOT USE PROVIDENT for anything. Sadly, we were the last customer our mortgage broker referred to Provident. He finally realized what a bad company they are. Their customer service does not exist. As I was told repeatedly by a manager, it's all about their investors, not their customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Provident Funding Associates?

Original review: April 22, 2019

For 5 years we have made timely payments on our mortgage to Provident Funding. April payment was due April 16, and I mailed the check on April 9. It was not processed until April 17. I was assessed a late charge of $69. When I asked for a waiver based upon my past timely payments and the one day delay, I was refused by both the phone clerk and his manager. I am livid as the mail delay was not my fault.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I was doing a cash-out refinance on one of my paid off rental properties. This is the most ridiculous lender I have ever worked with and they ask for a lot of documents ridiculously, including my 401K Summary Plan Description, which I never knew what the heck it was before until they asked for it. They also asked me what I would do after the refinance with the money. I told them I am doing it because I want to have a smaller cash flow for tax deduction purpose but it sounds like they just want me to have a plan to make more money with the cash out money. I never had a lender before EVER asking me this kind of ridiculous questions. Why do they care about how I use the money after the refinance? !

I have a few rental properties and three of them are paid off. My credit is 780+ and I never had bad credit history. So one week before the closure, they told me they couldn't use the rent of the homes I bought last year because they were not entirely being rented out last year. So the rent cannot be counted as my income according to their own guidelines and policies. Why don't you tell me that earlier? I have paid for the appraisal and now they told me they couldn't offer me the loan because of their own policy and guidelines. But, they would never think about how ridiculous their guidelines are! They are totally wasting my time.

Seriously, if you want to get a loan, DO NOT use them ever, no matter how low their rate is! It's not worth it when putting so much time and energy there for their ridiculous requests. They don't really care about the customers at all. This worries me more even if I got the loan from them. If they can this bad at the beginning, they can be worse in the future. And to be honest, they are not the only lender in the market, and I'm happy to see they keep losing their customers and trust because they are just so bad.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I requested an appeal to a decision to hold my ACH mortgage over-payment until I showed proof that my bank account had a positive balance. The appeal officer restated an earlier position which was not an resolution. I was fully cognizant of their rationale for delaying my ACH posted over-payment. They wanted to wait more than 10 days to return my ACH posted over-payment. ACH electronic transfers like my over-payment only take hours and not days to clear.

I am cognizant that we are now living in a time when irrational and illogical conclusions are designed to accommodate the writer is the new normal. I maintain the actions of Provident Funding, including its response to my complaint demonstrate their consistent customer relations insensitivity. I have a 30-year mortgage relationship with Provident Funding. I consider it unique to that Provident Funding would question the integrity of a current 30-year mortgage customer in good standing; by insisting proof of a positive bank balance for an account from which a posted ACH over-payment. I consider their response to be consumer harassment.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Provident Funding in San Jose, CA is stinks. Underwriter initially approved the refinance amount, then requesting a lot of documents (documents of your business 3 years ago, bank statement of anyone who sent/received money from your bank acc), greedily wanting to involve more borrowers for the security of loan. If not possible, they simply rejected the loan no matter what effort you put. At the end, borrower is the one got hurt: time, money, effort.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

On June 28, 2019 I mailed via USPS 5 bills with checks dated July 01, 2019, which included our Provident Funding mortgage payment, which was due on July 16, 2019 before being considered late. On July 17, 2019 I received an email stating our mortgage payment posted on July 17, 2019, one (1) day late and almost three (3) weeks after it was mailed, and in 6 1/2 years doing business with Provident Funding, we had never been late.

I attempted to talk to Provident Funding and explained when it was mailed and that we had duplicate checks for all 5 checks mailed on the same day and a copy of our Checking Account Checks Paid Statement, and Provident Funding refused to accept the factual documentation and evidence we did nothing wrong and either the USPS caused this or Provident caused this, and refused to waive the $35.61 late fee. Provident Funding does not care about their relationship with excellent customers, they are based on greed, evil and uncaring people who only care about what they can get. This is not a Company you should ever do business with.

Provident Funding Associates Company Information