1.34/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Provident Funding Associates

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Provident Funding Associates Reviews

Original review: April 14, 2019

When I contacted Provident to learn about recasting our mortgage, I was told I needed to send a letter specifying what we wanted to do and to include a check for the amount we wanted to include for the recasting. I was told nothing else. I did as I was told and sent the letter and our check. Our check for $185,000 was deposited on March 5th and I heard nothing else until I contacted Provident on March 29th. At that time, I was told I had to return a letter I never received by March 19th for the recasted loan to be effective in April. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why they did not contacted me on March 20th, the alleged due date, when they knew I wanted to recast our mortgage, signified by them depositing our check.

I was told by a manager on the phone that Provident’s policy was to wait until the end of the month, 12 days after my letter was due, before they would contact me. Really? That’s nothing but a total money grab. The manager told me it was our fault we didn’t receive the letter that we weren’t told we would receive (I would have followed up on it if I’d known). I’m curious if I’m able to use that line if I ever have a missed payment, that it was Provident fault that a payment wasn’t received?

These people are nothing but sleazy profit seekers. DO NOT USE PROVIDENT for anything. Sadly, we were the last customer our mortgage broker referred to Provident. He finally realized what a bad company they are. Their customer service does not exist. As I was told repeatedly by a manager, it's all about their investors, not their customers.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My husband and I have been clients of Provident Funding since Heritage Lending sold our mortgage to them. My husband passed away March 1, 2019. I made my normal payment over the phone as always in March. I received a letter in mid-March advising of an escrow deficit. I wanted to take care of the deficit and the payment in April. When I called to advise the company of my husband's death. The agent recommended using their online service, to take care of both. I made the payment and extra escrow payment April 6th.

Today, I received a letter that said my payment had been returned NSF. And a $20.00 fee was charged.. NOT BECAUSE OF INSUFFICIENT FUNDS.. but because a number was wrong on the routing or account number. They could easily have contacted me to recheck the numbers. I called a got the most insufferable, insolent **.. who insisted the charge could not be reversed.. and gave his smug condolences. I would advise if you are looking for a mortgage to look past this desperate, petty, greedy company. They are the epitome of a self serving greedy company. I will be moving my mortgage A.S.A.P. T. **.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I am not one to write reviews because there is always three sides to every story but 4 years ago Provident Funding returned our mortgage payment because it was $72 short only due to a change in taxes that we were not advised off and caused a logistical nightmare for a couple of days. Today, I had client who was with them for over 6 years with a perfect mortgage history who paid them off but also had their wire returned because it was $80 a short and a new wire cannot go out until it it hits the system and it came back after business hours.

They asked if they could waive the $100 late fee since they were paying off in full and never missed a payment and they were denied that request. Just really poor customer service and this is all a Fact. I did business with them for years and can honestly say it is a blessing not to deal with them anymore. I am not going to say anything nefarious because it I don't want to feed into all that negativity out there. I am sure there are some good people there but you are basically dealing with brainwashed kids in a cubicle. The company used to be known for having the lowest rates in the industry but thankfully that is not accurate or true today.

As a former customer and lender with them I can honestly say that I would say no thanks to them and it is always better to do business with people who not only appreciate your business but who will always try to do you right when there is an issue. I just outlined two egregious firsthand examples and now I have a plethora of others that aren't worth detailing. I now believe that perhaps all these people who post reviews and post are telling the spot on truth. Best of luck if working with them or having them service your mortgage in the future.

Original review: March 1, 2019

My wife and I had a mortgage with Provident Funding and we lost everything in the Camp Fire in Northern California. In 17 years we never had one problem with Provident Funding and the pay-off process after the fire was easy and explained well. In our case we drove to Santa Rosa and took care of the pay-off paperwork, gave them the insurance check and received our check from them in 6 days as they said. I have dealt with other mortgage companies in the past that were hard to deal with. Provident is the best I have dealt with and I plan to use them when we re-build or purchase soon.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

****ZERO STARS**** This company needs to rot in hell where it belongs, PROVIDENT FUNDING is such a piece of greedy crap that could give two flying "**"'s about their good paying longtime customers. Please, for the love of GOD, do NOT start a loan with PROVIDENT FUNDING ever. If you have always paid on time and were never late making a payment for years and then one day you are late due to a weather related USPS delay, they will hit you with a $45 late fee. No, they do not care about you and no matter how many times you contact them at customer service and explain your situation, they will not reverse the late fee. Nothing will be resolved at customer service and they will hang up on you numerous times (RUDE!).

Also, they will ruin your credit score over one small late payment, just look at all of the numerous negative reviews of this company online. Too bad I did not look at all of the negative reviews before I opened up a loan with them, all I can do now is warn everyone to stay away from this company and save yourself. I will have to refinance with a different company because of the horrible way I was treated over one late payment beyond my control. Shame on this company and all of the employees that work for this toilet bowl of a company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Provident Funding Associates?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I tried to sign into my mortgage account this morning but was unable to. I just got a screen saying this website was not private and that they did not have a valid certificate. I have no idea what's going on with my money and have not found a phone number to call.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Zero stars - Similar to other reviewers, I received a late payment fee notice after many years of on time payments. I paid the loan via electronic transfer of funds from my checking account as usual. For unexplained reasons, Provident Funding did not post the payment until 12 days later which resulted in the late payment. Normal processing time is 3 days. When I called them, they maintained that the late payment was not their fault and they would not waive the late fee. Based on the number of similar complaints, it appears that they may be running a scam to collect late payment fees.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Dantan **. #** in "Management" haha what a joke. This guy belittles customers and acts like an arrogant **, then starts yelling at me. I am not sure if he knows what Customer Service means. This company has been horrible from the get go. Don't use them! There is a reason they have terrible reviews.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I am a mortgage broker and work with quite a few wholesale lenders. Provident Funding provided exceptional service to myself and my client, who was a self employed borrower. I was able to speak with a representative anytime I had a question. The documentation was typical for a Self emp. borrower and we closed on time with no issues!

Original review: May 18, 2018

When their auto pay system didn't work as I expected and they therefore failed to retrieve the payment on time, they charged late fee and when I contacted them about this matter, they never tried to consider the whole event from the customers' point of view! All the customer service people are RUDE and it's very obvious that they set up some trap to make customers fall into unnoticed, then they insist that it's the customers' "mistake" even when we pay the fee right when the so call 'mistake' was noticed, the same day when they send out a mail with a 'late fee' notice. Discussing with them about any matter is like talking to a machine that can only cite the 'rules'. Actually, they don't have 'customer service' at all because all the people there are trained to serve only their own business!!! I've heard loan companies that have a lot better service than Providence Funding do! Never do business with this awful company!!!

Provident Funding Associates Company Information