1.57/5
Based on 74 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a mortgage lender?

San Diego, CA

Established in 1960, Guild Mortgage Company is the leading privately-held mortgage company in the United States. Guild makes home ownership possible.

93 Guild Mortgage Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

On October 2, 2018, I received a false claim from an unethical LLC that I had a mortgage with Guild Mortgage Co. No such mortgage ever existed, I never even heard of the company until today. It is obvious that Guild Mortgage works with scam companies to interfere with one's right to the quiet enjoyment of their property. Doing business with Guild Mortgage helps the company to help other companies engage in fearmongering against homeowners.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Donald: My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If you would like me to look further into the situation, please do not hesitate to contact me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net or 858-492-0014. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

After a 100 year old oak tree came down and demolished my chicken coop, shed and outbuildings, GUILD mortgage was to become my worst nightmare! As a 59 year old woman, and domestic violence survivor who was awarded my home in the divorce from my abuser over a year ago, I have been treated with absolute disrespect, unconcern and red tape. The insurance paid the mortgage company and made the check out to Guild and my ex-husband. When I pointed out that my ex legally has nothing to do with the property and is even under a restraining order of no contact, it still made no difference. Despite sending every possible piece of legal documentation, the new DEED in my name, divorce decree awarding the house solely to me, court paperwork of my name change, DL in new name, SS Card in new name, even a copy of the restraining order (this was just nosey, and had no bearing on the house ownership)

I jumped through these hoops, day after day, only to be told that because my ex-husband was paying the mortgage they couldn’t turn the ins check over to me. I pointed out that MY EX HUSBAND DOES NOT PAY MY MORTGAGE! and has not, for well over a year. It was painfully obvious that she hadn’t even bothered to read the paperwork I sent her where it clearly stated that I was solely responsible for the property from 27 July 2017, for payments, insurance, taxes, the works! This is the kind of disrespect I am talking about.

After acknowledging that she didn’t thoroughly read the paperwork, Rosabel, still held firm that she would ONLY pay my tree contractor directly and keep the rest of the insurance check, because my Ex-husband’s was “still the only name on the loan, and she needs to follow procedures.” (We were both on the deed before divorce). I told her that the judge gave me 5 years from the date of my divorce to refinance the property, but this made no difference.

I have dealt with too many different people, from rude customer service workers, to now 3 different people from the hazard dept. NEVER can one reach or speak with the enigmatic “Supervisor” who, is apparently the only one who has any authority over these matters… Last Friday, Aug 31st, after a week I received “My supervisor will be reviewing this on Tuesday (Guild is closed on Monday) I will let you know on Tuesday, what she says. You may follow-up with me that afternoon.” 4 more days to wait…

To add insult to injury, along with the fake platitudes and patronizing, this has now been almost ONE MONTH since my chicken coop was demolished. Rosabel from Guild writes “I have deposited the check and will disburse funds to pay the arborists. If you have a bid for the chicken coop and shed repairs, please forward that to me so I can make the disbursement.”

There is just one problem, NO NEED to get a bid on the chicken coop as THEY ARE ALL DEAD now! Their shelter which was destroyed on the 10th of August and despite my pleas of urgency, I had to watch helplessly as predators killed 2-3 chickens each night. Had this insurance money been released to me, 2 weeks ago, I would have been able to get them a temporary enclosure and have at least some left. I GIVE UP!

Hi Melinda:

My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage in the Office of the President. I am incredibly sorry to hear about what happened to your property and your chicken coop. I am also sorry to hear about the frustration you've experienced trying to get this resolved. If you would like me to assist you or help you to escalate your concerns, please contact me directly at 858-492-0014 or bgonzales@guildmortgage.net.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I've purchased several homes in the past but this transaction with Guild was by far the easiest and smoothest to date. My loan officer and her team made this as stress-free as possible for me and my family from the very beginning. The process was a little challenging because we were moving from out of state and most of the work had to be done over the phone/internet. Although we have bought several homes this was our first in North Carolina so the extra guidance they were able to give us was very much appreciated. My kids love our new home and my husband and I love how simple it was to get to the closing table. When we are ready to refinance I will absolutely give Guild a call.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I was working with Luc ** (NMLS ID #**) in Plano, TX and he was never easy to get a hold of and he just disappeared. He was supposed to call me two days ago and I texted him. He told me "one sec" and that he was working on a loan and that he would call me. I have never heard back from him. He was supposed to be working on my bank statement loan for a mortgage after I submitted all of my bank statements. If I would have seen all of the reviews on this site, I would have never submitted an application with Guild Mortgage in the first place. I found a loan with another lender. There is no reason to chase a loan officer for a loan. I will not do business with Guild Mortgage or Luc ** now or in the future.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Jamila: My name is Brandy Gonzales and I work at Guild Mortgage. I'm sorry to hear you had a frustrating experience with one of our loan officers. That is not the kind of customer service we seek to offer here at Guild. If you would like me to look into this situation further, please do not hesitate to contact me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net or 858-492-0014.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I would highly recommend this Guild Mortgage. We have never has such a easy home buying experience. They were on top of things. Kept us well informed. Kim would call us back right away if we left a message. Everything went so smooth I could hardly believe we were buying a house. We have bought homes from other Mortgage companies and it was terrible. This was the best home buying experience we have ever had. I have recommended them to two of our children for their home purchases and would recommend them to anyone. Loved them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Original review: July 26, 2018

DO NOT use this company. If you ever have storm damage through insurance they'll take your check and you'll be playing phone tag and calling non stop to try and get your endorsed to pay to have the repairs done. They will lie and feed you fake promises and then talk down to you like you know nothing about the process. I had to pay for repairs out of pocket and now waiting game to get check back. I should just give you the house back and let you foreclose on it.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Matt: My name is Brandy Gonzales and I work at Guild Mortgage. I replied to you on our Yelp page as well. Again, I am sorry to hear about the frustrations you've experienced with Guild. I would love the opportunity to look into this for you. If you would like me to, please contact me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net or 858-492-0014.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I am 23 years old, an Air Force Sr. Airman and a first time home buyer. A friend told me to use Guild Mortgage in Tucson, AZ where I am stationed. I bought my first home almost 2 years ago. For the past 7 months I have been struggling to make payments as my mother's disease stopped her from working and as the only son, I provide for my mother and 12 year old sister. Guild told me I could apply for a VA modification of my VA loan. I sent all the documents 5/22, they said it takes 30 days. I called on the 31st day and was told that it was not submitted to the VA but to Guild's own internal modification but because my mother's medical situation will not change, they denied me due to my income being too low to take care of all of my expenses and my mother and sister.

Guild said they would submit me today, 6/26 for a VA modification and that process will take no less than another 30 days. I received notice YESTERDAY that my house is due to be foreclosed on 8/9 and sold on the courthouse steps. This is not a coincidence. I owe $154k and my appraised value is $210k. Guild is after my home because of the equity of the property. Before my mom got sick I put a great deal of money and time making my first home nice and now they are leading me to foreclosure for their benefit. They are taking advantage of me and I don't know who to call or to help me.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I inquired that alone with Mike **. He had me jump through all kinds of Hoops and then I never heard from him again leaving me in a very bad situation. He told me, "Don't worry. I have 39 years of experience." Now I can see all 39 years are very negative. I will never do business with Guild Mortgage and I will never recommend them. Mr. **. You Oughta be ashamed of yourself.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Went to closing and signed all my paperwork, 2 weeks later I get my first bill and it's $80 more than what I had signed and agreed to. My loan contact STEVE ** at Guild Mortgage in Newberg, Oregon tells me my closing papers were only an estimate. This is my 4th home loan, I've never had this happen. I believe Guild lied to get me to take out my loan. The escrow company agrees this is a very strange situation. I will never do business with this company again. I would also recommend them to no one as they are dishonest and can not be counted on to give the consumer accurate/truthful loan information.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Barely started the process and was told I could not be on the loan with my husband due to my credit score. I know this is incorrect since the FHA grants loans with as little as a 500 credit score. Pretty sure our loan officer just did not want to work to get us into a home. She did not seem very motivated or informative. Very disappointed.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I understand how the Guild Mortgage loss draft policy works. And I do understand why this policy is in place. I guess in rare instances people will walk away from their damaged property taking the insurance money with them. I am not one of those people. I love my house and my property. I even love doing the fix up and improvements to my house and property. That's why when we sustained plumbing and water damage and filed an insurance claim we were anxious to get all the repairs done, in a timely manner I might add.

The insurance company issued a check made out to us and Guild Mortgage Co. We signed the check and sent it to Guild Mortgage Co. Guild Mortgage Co then proceed to dictate how and when the funds are disbursed. Many, many hoops are put out for us to jump through. We have complied with all their requests; however, Guild Mortgage Co is not doing their job. They say they will send out an inspector to check that the work has been completed. I'm not sure why this is because a county inspector inspected the work and recorded his approval with the county.

You would think Guild Mortgage Co would recognize this approval and issue final payment to the plumber. No. It's a mystery to us how all this policy is supposed to work when Guild Mortgage Co implement their policy from an office in another state. Guild Mortgage Co will not reimburse us for the money we have spent in preventing further damage AND the dumpster that we paid for. The dumpster cost is specifically stated in the insurance claim. I believe we are entitled to that payment. We have lost patience with Guild Mortgage Co.

We cannot and do not recommend Guild Mortgage Co for your mortgage needs. Read the fine print or have your attorney translate it for you. If we had known of this policy, I would have gotten another mortgage lender. A home that we owned previously was damaged by a microburst that damage our roof and took down our fence. We filed an insurance claim and were issued an insurance check to make the repairs, which we did. The roof was repaired and a new fence was installed. Isn't that what you are supposed to do. When did this loss draft policy happen?

Original review: April 2, 2018

I was sent an email about working with this company, so my husband and I decided to put an application in and we were told that they could help us to secure a loan. Well after completing all of the paperwork, we were told that we would have to raise our credit scores in order to get the help we needed. Well after over a month with no contact from them, a branch manager contacted us and said that they would be able to help us after all. She emailed, then called to discuss our situation. She was friendly and nice, but that's the extent of it. It's been over a month now, and we haven't heard a word from her since. She doesn't respond to emails, phone calls, or text. This has been one stressful experience to say the least. I'm so happy that we didn't put out any money. I'm so elated that I read these reviews, and now I know that this is NOT the company for us. Thanks to all that shared their experiences with this company. It saved us a lot of heartache.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi DS: My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I'm very sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience with Guild. Please know that what you describe is not the kind of service we seek to offer or the experience we want customers to have. I would love the opportunity to look into your situation and resolve anything to the best of my ability. Please email me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net if you would like me to look into this for you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I had an issue with a different lender that could not get the deal done. The seller was going to pull out of the deal if I could not get the loan funded in a short amount of time. I went to Guild Mortgage in Spokane, WA on the recommendation of my real estate agent. Julia at Guild Mortgage was confident she would be able to get the mortgage funded by the seller's deadline. I must admit I was skeptical, we only had 10 business days to get it done. Like magic, Julia had me through underwriting within three business days, sent me my closing agreement in 7 business days, and we closed in 10 business days. 10 business days to close! Guild Mortgage saved the deal and my wife and I are now first time homeowners.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Posting a 1-star having removed a star for every despicable thing Guild Mortgage in San Antonio on Sonterra Blvd. did over the course of our home purchase. Most people will unlikely read this full review, but we cannot refrain from providing a fair account of our recent loan experience (2017). Despite our better judgement after reading national reviews concerning Guild Mortgage, we proceeded with Guild after they 1) reaffirmed us “this office is not like the rest; we have 100% good reviews.” and 2) “we will not sell your loan. We have our own servicer that will be financing and managing the mortgage over the life of the loan.” Despicable Practices:

1) We were not provided a firm rate for financing upfront. Only after we discussed another bank we might finance with did they make a rate offer by simply matching the other banks rates.

2) We mentioned to the officer; we would only consider financing through Guild if they did not sell the loan and provided some specific loan servicing features (loan recast & full payment pre-pay). We were put in touch with a Guild loan servicer who confirmed the servicing features would be included and that Guild would service the loan. Exactly 45 days after close we received a letter informing us our loan has been sold to Wells Fargo (the most corrupt bank in the country: currently being sanctioned federally in recourse after criminal account practices over nearly a decade).

3) During our option period, we shopped for better rates and found a loan at the same rate Guild was providing, but with No closing cost & No points. When we presented this offer to the Guild Officer; they confirmed (we have proof): “Yes…. our office will match the offer.” Despite this offer we ended up paying over $1,394 in origination fees which would have been credited in a “matched” offer. Repeat: $0.00 LENDING CREDITS PROVIDED AT CLOSING AS PROMISED.

4) Guild’s Negligence to communicate money transfer requirements in preparation for down payment wire caused a communication breakdown at the end of our closing period leading to a full re-audit of our accounts. Only after working with them through the weekend night and day were we able to reaffirm approval from Guild’s Underwriters just a few hours before closing.

5) Our loan officer was contacted on closing day by the title company asking for another day to close. Not only did our lender allow this giving previous owners more than a day of control of the property after final walkthrough where they could do anything (exposing us to tremendous risk), but then at the new closing date, for which we again had to take off work to attend; we were still unable to secure the keys/access to the house, walking away with literally only paperwork in hand. Our realtor was nice enough to secure the keys and bring them to us after Guild’s payment wire had been confirmed later that day. If you are even considering working with this company despite this review please post a question or reply offering why. We will provide proof of our circumstances, additional warning & rebuttal, information & resources for better alternatives, etc.

Guild Mortgage Company response

My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I'm very sorry to hear about the frustrations you've experienced. I would like you to know that what you describe is not the kind of service we seek to offer or the experience we want customers to have. I would love the opportunity to look into your situation and resolve anything to the best of my ability. Please email me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net if you would like me to look into this for you.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I recently sold my home and was able to pay off my mortgage with Guild. I have a large escrow refund check due to me and have been waiting over 4 weeks as of today. I've called their Customer Service four times and the service gets worse each time I call. Today, I asked to speak to a supervisor and the agent hung up on me. I work in customer service. Most of us would be fired for treating customers the way Guild's Customer Service speaks and treats customers.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

My realtor suggested I apply with this company as they supposedly do work with Home At Last. I took the course, got my Certificate, submitted scads of paperwork all online. That was October 10th. I heard NOTHING from them... However, they did contact my Realtor and said they weren't able to help me because I was looking at Manufactured Homes. TEN DAYS LATER they ran a hard credit inquiry on me! Still I heard NOTHING from them. What was the purpose of the inquiry knowing they wouldn't lend to me? They get ONE STAR from everyone because we can't give them MINUS FIVE.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Something is very wrong at Guild Mortgage - based in California. They will not return insurance checks to fully-insured Hurricane Harvey flooding victims. Are they going under - cashing the checks??? What they are doing is wrong per Texas Attorney General's office. You will regret using this shady lender! They say an investor has to approve the bids on work to the homes - it is always a new excuse. Again, this is not ethical!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Hello. I typically don't like to complain about anyone but I am a first time home buyer who doesn't have a lot of money, a single mom who spent the past year raising my credit score to a 747 after a divorce. Guild Mortgage gave me false hope along with a promise of an approval letter after I in return provided them with all my personal information also having to pay for all the faxing fees after being promised I was approved and the approval letter was on the way. I was so excited but the letter never came nor a phone call back explaining anything I was promised or even if something happened as to why I was being rejected. Absolutely nothing! It was heart wrenching and brought me to tears as this was a huge deal to me. I would not recommend this company to anybody and was very dissatisfied as well as upset!!!

Original review: July 26, 2017

Looking to do a refinance I decided to use Guild Mortgage. The branch in Sacramento was asking for documents that had been sent July 8 and 9 2017 and they were now asking for the same documents again. Very incompetent branch manager. And when I question the request I was told that I was confused with another lender, then later he sent an email saying I was right and he was wrong with no apology. Just incompetent, awful.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Leah at Guild Mortgage is awesome. I tried to get my pre-approval letter from my local credit union that says they do mortgages. After 2 weeks, I pulled all paperwork & scanned it to Guild in Seattle. Pre-approval letter done in 4 hours! Never had to drive to Seattle, everything done over phone & scanner. Got the house I wanted for the price I wanted. Thanks Leah!

Original review: June 28, 2017

My wife and I bought a vacation home in Pacific City OR and used Guild Mortgage. They were atrocious. We had to resubmit paperwork numerous times, they delayed the closing for 3 months and whenever we called it was as though we were talking for the first time. The staff was incompetent and disdainful. I'm praying for the day when they sell our mortgage.

Original review: May 22, 2017

I don't understand the bad reviews here. From my experience, Tim worked very hard to help us through the entire process. He and I were in constant communication, even sometimes in the middle of the night. I was in Maryland trying to find a VA approved home to retire to at the beach. Tim was our rock and advisor. He even advised me about selling our home in Maryland first. Then it literally took six months for us to find our forever home. Tim was such a help and actually knew the area so well, he advised us along the way with such patience and care, I could not believe that a loan officer could be so caring. If you are thinking about moving to this area, I would highly recommend Guild Mortgage and especially Tim **. Thank you Tim!

Original review: April 21, 2017

As a licensed realtor in the state of Texas I will NEVER allow my client to accept an offer if they are the seller or my buyers to use Guild for their lender! This has been a horrendous experience for both seller and buyer!! At this point we are almost 7 days past original closing date with NO end in sight. If Guild does not pull this together and close by Wednesday on this loan your client (the buyer) is set to lose a large amount of money all due to the dishonest, unprofessional and unacceptable behavior of not only the loan officer Maria ** but her Supervisor. I have spoken to many agents in my office since this started and they are all of the same mind -- NEVER GUILD!!! Most painful and terrible experience I have had as a realtor with a lender! This will also be reported to the appropriate agencies in our area including the BBB.

Original review: April 13, 2017

Getting a loan and closing was no problem unlike many reviews. We had a great experience with our loan officer. Fast forward almost 2 years later and I'm very disappointed. We recently went from a 2 to 1 income due to a company buyout with my husband's job. I called Guild to check our options of what we could do until our house could sell. They were very rude, unprofessional and had no sympathy whatsoever. We have perfect credit and have never made any late payments whatsoever. They suggested we apply for Forbearance so we did... almost 2 months later they still claim we are missing paperwork yet we've supplied them with everything they've asked for, they won't return our calls of questions and are extremely rude and unprofessional.

I called yesterday to let them know our house would finally be selling after 4 months on the market. My understanding when we applied for forbearance per what they told us was we wouldn't be held responsible for the payments due to his loss of job and it wouldn't affect our credit. Yesterday they informed me we would owe those payments by closing, they have put it on our credit and they continue to be unprofessional every time we talk to them. We can't sell our house soon enough to be rid of them. Very disappointing considering we had such a great buying experience but thru his job loss it's been a very disappointing experience to get any help thru them. I will never recommend them to anyone after our experience.

Original review: April 11, 2017

The home mortgage (new single family home purchase) was a flawless, <30day event. No snags whatsoever. The loan closed and escrow management is where I have issues. They intentionally withhold in a separate area of the statement an amount of rolled escrow from prior year and then on the monthly statements you will only ever see the current year's escrow info. RESPA requires lenders do not collect in excess of more than 2 months of current escrow requirements for that year based on the prior year's costs. Guild seems to know this - which is the reason to 'hide' your unused, rolled escrow in another area of the statement. You better keep track of what you are paying because they will hide and keep it from you. I threatened and followed thru on contacting the federal lending oversight agencies and reported Guild because they illegally withheld some $700 excess and STILL increased my escrow payments! Once the federal agency got involved, I was promptly refunded and my original escrow payments were adjusted to comply with RESPA guidelines. Ethical business would have made the correction without the drama and once it was pointed out -- not Guild :o(

Original review: March 17, 2017

Processed our mortgage through Guild and had a horrible experience. They delayed the closing of our house several times and repeatedly asked us to resubmit paperwork. Since closing, contacting them about my mortgage has been a nightmare. Repeatedly long hold times and no call back after leaving multiple messages. If I could do it over again, I would go with a different company.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I was referred to this company by a realtor after my husband died. I refinanced with them, it had been years of miscommunication, inept and incompetent people seem to work there. I'm trying to pay off my mortgage but my prepayments have been returned to me and I somehow end up in late payments! Any advice on how to get away from this company would be appreciated.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

They have delayed the closing on a house we are selling several times. Never have all the documents they needed. Delay of closing because buyer is "waiting for money to be placed into her account". Never have had this happen. Would not recommend them to anyone in San Angelo, Texas.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I had to come here to give a review because most reviews are left by angry people. It's hard not to get blindsided when you're looking for a good company to do business with and no one ever tells the success stories. I created an account just to leave this review because I wanted the world to know about my experience with Guild.

Being a first-time home buyer, I was recommended to Guild by a real estate agent who in turn was recommended by a co-worker. I called Jeff ** and he hit the ground running. At that time I thought I was ready to buy a home, but I was wrong. Jeff held my hand and prepared me for the mortgage lender. He helped identify potential issues in my credit and places where I needed work. We worked together for 6 months until my credit was in a good place, and he pre-approved me for the loan and introduced me to Amanda **, who introduced herself and said, "We're going to be best friends until we get you in a home!" She wasn't kidding. We called and texted each other several times a day. She answered questions at 11 pm on Saturday nights and 2 pm on Sunday afternoons. It felt like she never left my side and was there even more than my real estate agent.

By the time I was in processing and underwriting, Amanda (my loan officer) was still there not missing a beat. At times it seemed like the loan had challenges but she always found ways to clear things up. The communication was outstanding! My loan was closed in 30 days and the only reason it took that long were from delays on MY part. My loan officer was actually at my closing and still continued to communicate by sending me details about my new mortgage payments. My experience with Guild was amazing to the point where I think the team sent to work on my loan were divine! Thanks again to the team at Guild Mortgage in Cumming, GA!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

If you need your sanity for life do not choose Guild Mortgage for your loan!!! The company we were originally dealing with changed to Guild in the middle of closing on our home, we had to turn everything back in to them as if we were new customers qualifying for a home. They never answers the phone. Nobody will ever give you honest answers. They will string you along to make you think everything is ok but in actually they are plotting a way to decline your loan. We were dealing with them for 2 months before we had to show up in the area manager's office only to say their underwriters couldn't approve our loan. If you disregard this review of them as I did you will regret it!!

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information