2. Mortgages

San Diego, CA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.86/5

Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage company offering services in 48 states. The company was founded in 1960 and offers every type of mortgage loan, including specialized services for first-time homebuyers and consumers with excellent credit.

BOTTOM LINE

Guild Mortgage is a mortgage company with more than 60 years of experience. Customers can sign up for a loan program online and work with one of Guild’s loan specialists to find the right mortgage.

PROS

• Programs for first-time buyers
  • Offers every type of mortgage loan

CONS

• Unavailable in NY and NJ

Top Guild Mortgage Company Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Our loan process was quick and easy and we were taken great care of. ... We receive regular updates on any changes to our account and our bill is always reflected properly. The website interface is simple yet informative and we have never had to wait on an answer for any questions we have had.

I had to move myself, five large dogs, and five cats as quickly as possible. In less than 3 months I was a first time homeowner thanks to Beth ** and her team with Guild Mortgage in Columbia, South Carolina. ... My experience was absolutely positive!

What is Guild Mortgage?

Guild Mortgage is a lender that has mortgages for consumers in every phase of life. The company’s loan specialists help homebuyers get the best possible loans by reviewing their personal finances and selecting programs that fit their needs. Some of the mortgage loan options that Guild Mortgage offers include:

• 3-2-1 Home loans
    • Fixed-rate loans
    • Adjustable-rate loans
    • MH Advantage program
    • Down payment assistance

Guild also offers loan programs for current homeowners, including renovation loans, refinance offers and reverse mortgages.

How does Guild Mortgage work?

To get started with Guild Mortgage, visit the company's website or one of its 250 local branches and fill out the loan interest application. You need to provide your name, phone number, email address and ZIP code. Once Guild receives your information, a loan officer contacts you to go over the details of your finances and determine which loan is right for you. Your loan officer guides you through the mortgage process from your application to closing.

Guild Mortgage rates and fees

Guild Mortgage's interest rates vary based on your creditworthiness and other personal factors. While Guild doesn’t publish any of its rates, the average 30-year rate on a fixed-rate mortgage in 2020 has been between 3.3% and 4%. For the lowest possible rate, make sure you apply to different lenders and compare their rates and fees before you commit to a loan.

Guild Mortgage lists common fee amounts on its website, which include the following potential charges:

• Late charge: Varies by amount past due
    • Insufficient funds: $15
    • Speedpay: Varies up to $7
    • Assumption: $300 to $1,800
    • Recording: Varies by county

Be sure to ask your loan representative about all possible fees you incur with your mortgage.

Guild Mortgage FAQ

Is Guild Mortgage a direct lender?
    Yes, Guild Mortgage is a direct lender that offers many types of mortgage loans.
    Is Guild Mortgage a bank?
    No, Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage lender.
    Does Guild Mortgage service its loans?
    Yes, Guild Mortgage services all loans it originates.

Is Guild Mortgage a good company?

Guild Mortgage is a reputable company that has been serving customers since 1960. It offers comprehensive mortgage services to residents of every state except New York and New Jersey. The company also services its loans, so you don't have to worry about working with a different company for your loan payments. If you’re searching for a mortgage lender with online services and the convenience of a local branch, Guild Mortgage could be right for you.

Guild Mortgage Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

About a year ago, I had started out with another mortgage company and was getting the run around and then they started changing the terms of the loan. That's when I change mortgage companies and I couldn't be happier. After a year, I have not had any of the issues that others have mentioned. Online payments have been easy and everything has been taken care of on time. I would highly recommend Guild Mortgage Company to anyone looking for a good company to work with.

Guild Mortgage Company response

It's great to hear that you would recommend us. Thanks Andrew.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Guild made the home buying pretty easy. They were great to deal with and very patient and available for this first-time home buyer. I had previously tried to go thru my bank. That drag out for better than 3 weeks. Guild had me taken care of in 24 hours!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Thank you for the kind words, Melody.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2020

After a change of life event I had to move myself, five large dogs, and five cats as quickly as possible. At the time my credit was not great but I listened to what my loan officer recommended and did these steps according to her expertise. In less than 3 months I was a first time homeowner thanks to Beth ** and her team with Guild Mortgage in Columbia, South Carolina and my amazing real estate agent. My experience was absolutely positive! I will definitely use Guild Mortgage in the future as well. I highly recommend Guild Mortgage due to my great experience.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Wow, what a great success story! Thank you for sharing, Melissa.

Original review: March 1, 2020

They were very good at explaining all the terms and conditions. They even contacted us 6 months later to refinance when the rates went down and walked us all through that. We get emails all the time telling us what the value of our home is at the time and how much equity we have.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Angela. My name is Ryan and I work for Guild Mortgage. I'm happy that you're happy! Thank you for the nice review.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I am shocked to see so many low reviews here! Our loan process was quick and easy and we were taken great care of (props to Troy **). We receive regular updates on any changes to our account and our bill is always reflected properly. The website interface is simple yet informative and we have never had to wait on an answer for any questions we have had. I highly recommend them!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Jonathan: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. Thanks for sharing this great review - I'm happy to know you're having a good experience with us.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

Guild Mortgage is an awful mortgage company. In the middle of a pandemic when they are supposed to be there to help, they’ve been unresponsive and after my request to go on forbearance due to being laid off from my job, they ignored my request and reported a late payment to the credit agencies. I cannot wait to refinance with a better company who cares about people going through hardships. I rated a 1 star because 0 is not an option.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

Jennifer **, Guild Mortgage, Lake Oswego: she's a great advocate for her own commission (we were reminded many times about how paying down the mortgage too early would negatively impact her) but not for you as a consumer. 3 hours before our loan signing, Jennifer ** informed me that we needed an additional $5,488.00 to close. At 12:24 she told me we needed to wire money by 2:00pm or we had to bring a Cashier's Check in that amount to the closing at 3:30. REALLY?!!! I should have told her no, re-write our loan, but I was in such a panic that didn't occur to me.

If she had rewritten our loan to include the $5,488.00, our payment would have increased just $23/mo. instead of us withdrawing from our tight savings account. Her response to my furious email? "I wanted to apologize to you for not being more proactive in my communication. I should have given you a heads up last week that we’d need you to get funds for closing. My apologies for causing a panic today & time away from your work." In another email response she actually used the phrase "my bad". And shame on Guild Mortgage for not following up with me about the Customer Survey I completed with all of the specific transaction notes.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Don't ever do business with them if you’re not fully aware of the finance process. They'll try to drain as much money as they possibly could to do your refinance/loan. They asked for my payoff statement four times in a very careless and unprofessional manner and expected me to pay for all the charges for these requests while they could've only pulled it once and save the money for the extra requests. They were also supposed to do a reissue for my MCC and I had to wait for two months after closing the loan and still haven't received the new MCC and when I followed up and called the eHousing they found out there's a mistake that needs to be corrected (If I didn't call and follow up they'd never knew about the mistake and just kept me hanging). JUST UNPROFESSIONAL, RECKLESS AND INCONSIDERATE.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Guild Mortgage Company add someone else flood insurance policy to my closing cost, and now I am getting the runaround trying to get my money back in the sum of $813.00, it's been more than two months and every day they say it's in the mail. This company have some very shady practices, just look at the reviews. Everybody is not lying, please avoid this company at all cost!!!.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Guild Mortgage has been servicing loans on two houses for me recently, one house sold, and the loan closed. Guild's automatic payment system still withdrew the money from my account. I contacted them as during these trying times with covid I could not afford these funds to be withdrawn. Customer service has been difficult to get ahold of, I've been hung up on, and treated very poorly. The worst part is that I have no way of getting my money back, so far. Causing me to have to borrow money to make ends meet. The Customer service department at Guild has been nothing short of terrible. Especially during tough times with The Covid 19 Pandemic.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Rodney. My name is Ryan and I monitor online reviews for Guild. I'm sorry to hear about your experience so far. Providing excellent customer service is one of Guild's core values, and it's ALWAYS a priority. Please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net with your loan numbers and any additional information you can provide. I will pass this along to to the right people to see if we can get this resolved for you.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information