1.61/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

San Diego, CA

Established in 1960, Guild Mortgage Company is the leading privately-held mortgage company in the United States. Guild makes home ownership possible.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Guild Mortgage Company Reviews

Original review: April 3, 2019

Ken ** has gone above and beyond to make sure I get what’s best for my situation! He is always available and explains things to me since this is my first time buying a home! If anyone is looking for the best lender KEN ** is the person to go to! Thank you Ken for all your hard work and patience with me!

Original review: March 27, 2019

Supportive, Communicative, Knowledgeable. This team is a dream to work with. The documents are able to be signed by cell phone, or by laptop and navigation is easy. This is so underrated for us working people who don't have a home printer, and don't have time to find one. They are available for questions even after hours, I was blown away. No question is ignorant or ignored. They always give you the truth and your options. Customer service is key when making a huge decision like buying a home especially when the contract fails or has issues. We had an issue with our contract and they were very supportive, even in our disappointment. I can't say enough about this team of professionals.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My husband and I worked with Roberto ** of Guild Mortgage in Tucson, Arizona on our recent home purchase. Mr. ** and his highly qualified team kept us in the loop every step of the way. They were in constant communication with us. There were no surprises. They made us feel like they truly cared about us as people, not just as clients. Everything went smoothly and seamlessly. We are so happy, and have no doubt that we made the right choice going with Guild Mortgage! We highly recommend!

Resolution response: Nov. 6, 2018

Johnny and Melissa were great too!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Alisha ** and Guild Mortgage in San Diego was such a great person to work with from beginning to end! She was such an utmost professional, but also made us feel like family. We felt welcomed by Alisha right away. Her knowledge on the subject-matter really helped us as first-time home-buyers when we had any questions and she was there to answer us at any time. We loved working with Alisha and Guild Mortgage and would definitely work with them again!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Hello, and good morning. I felt it right to write a review, notifying any future customers it is in their best interest to stay FAR AWAY from this company. This was my first mortgage and home, and the loan was issued with Coldwell Bank. No sooner than moving into my house, I was notified that my loan had been sold to Guild. A company that was based out of California (I was in Florida), with no offices even close to where I lived. If any issues were to arise, they would have to be dealt with in a very non personable, over the phone communication. (Not what you want for the largest purchase of your life.)

Within 3 years, there were multiple issues that arose. However, I'm here to alert those on the closing of my house, and the fraudulent charges/fees they stole from the equity I had coming in the sale. The closing agent herself said she had never seen a payoff so convoluted in over the 20 years she has been in business. Long story short, I'm very good at math, and what the final number amounted to after frivolous fees and charges, this company basically stole $5,000 from me, and the equity I had built in my house. RUN if your mortgage is sold to them. My best and truly most honest advice would be to refinance with another company IMMEDIATELY. Save yourself the headache and inevitable coals you will indefinitely be raked across.

Charles

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I just refinanced my home and Guild was my mortgage company up until now, they have been paid off for my mortgage and are holding my escrow payment hostage for another 15 days when they’ve been paid for over a week. Called and talk to their customer service people. They said there’s nothing they can do about it to speed up the process. You would think a company that already has my checking account wouldn’t waste their time sending a check out when they can direct deposit it back into my checking. I would not do business with this company ever again.

Hi James:

I'm not sure where the disconnect is here. My email is valid and has been for 5 years. This is the only time in the many years I've responded to customers that someone has not been able to get a hold of me. Please try bgonzales@guildmortgage.net. You are also more than welcome to call me at 858-492-0014. Please note that I am often in meetings and may take a few hours to get back to you, which is why I prefer email to more quickly address your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I recently had a terrible experience with Guild Mortgage. I had recently changed bank accounts. I went online to stop my ACH with Guild and got a notification that this had been completed. I then went and changed my bank information and restarted my ACH and was told that this was completed. I did this 4 days before my payment came out. Much to my dismay, my old bank account was severely in the negative the next week. When I went in to look, my mortgage payment had gone out of my old bank account. I immediately called in to Guild Customer Service and I was told that I was supposed to have made that change 7 to 10 days prior to my payment due date. I explained that nowhere on the website was I told this. I was told that I was mailed a letter letting me know this. I explained that this was Tuesday, I had made the change the previous Friday and that I had not received that letter. Nor have I still a week later.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and retold my story. I was told that Guild couldn't pay the $325 in fees that I was charged. I was taken aback and told the supervisor that Guild was making hundreds of thousands of dollars on my account. Surely Guild could afford $325. The supervisor told me that she would have to contact her supervisor and that someone would call me back by Friday the 21st of September. I didn't not get a call back until Tuesday the 25th of September. At this time I was told that Guild wanted me to email my bank statement and the ACH change letter. Shouldn't Guild have that letter since it came from them? I still haven't received that letter anyways. I don't want anything except for the $325 in fees I was charged because of Guild. I feel like this isn't too much especially considering the almost $300,000 I am paying in interest on a $235,000 loan.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi David: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. If this is still unresolved, or if you would like me to look further into your situation, please contact me with your loan information at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

My credit was not the greatest and I had been doing my darndest to get it back on track so that I could buy a house for my son and I. A realtor suggested I contact Caitlin **, she reported how creative she was and possibly could set me in the right direction. So I make the appointment with her only she never called. That should of been my first clue, but I looked the other way; finally, I called her after waiting a half hour. She told me to do three things. I got the information for her as quickly as I could. She told me she would do a rapid rescore and get back to me because it would only take 3-5 business days. So I emailed her several times and never got a response. Weeks went by and I still never heard from her. So I called her, reminded her who I was and what was the status of my rapid. She told me that the documents that I faxed were probably too dark but would let me know.

So a few more weeks went by and I texted her for another status update, the documents were evidently too dark so could I screenshot them to her instead. Sure, no problem. Finally, August 23rd, I call again for an update because this rapid rescore that was supposed to take 3-5 business days has turned into a month and a half. Now she tells me that Equifax has a hold on my account for fraudulent activities and I should be receiving a call from them; she would follow up with them and call me either way that Monday. Rather than wait, I called Equifax myself to find out what's going on. They reported that there was NO fraudulent activity on or in my account. I called Caitlin and had to leave a voicemail asking her to please return my call. She didn't and she never called that Monday like she said she would.

I texted her on Tuesday informing her of what Equifax said and never heard from her. And I still never heard from her. At the very least, I find the lack of communication very unprofessional. I would be a first time home owner and was looking forward to doing what I needed to do, even if I had to wait six months to improve my credit scores but nothing was ever communicated to me. I took my business elsewhere and I don't have to chase him down, be given the run around and calls/texts are responded to!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Prudence: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. Clear communication and timely responses are important parts of excellent customer service here. I'm sorry your experience fell below our standards. If you would like for me to look into your situation, please contact me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Guild pulled through for us during the home buying process which was great. However, they inaccurately reported me for a late payment this year to the bureaus which of course caused a negative hit to my credit report. I contacted Guild to discuss the FCRA and they refused to budge, and said “late” is based on when they close their books for the month, not actually by 30 days past due as the FCRA outlines. I opened a dispute directly with the bureaus and the bureaus have corrected my report. My recommendation: UPDATE YOUR STANDARD BUSINESS PRACTICES TO ALIGN WITH THE FCRA. Consumers should not have their credit falsely impacted and forced to dispute elsewhere to get a resolution.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Lyn: My Name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating experience trying to correct a credit reporting. I am glad to hear you were able to resolve your issue directly with the credit bureau. I am passing along your comment to our Customer Service Department to make sure you're concerns are heard and considered. If you would like to discuss anything else or need any other assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Selling a home to buyers going through Guild Mortgage in Fort Worth TX. Have been trying to close for the last 4 weeks. Have a house to buy which is contingent on this house selling which we were told would close July 3rd. Today is August 2 and still waiting on a closing date. This is the last extension for us to buy our house and still no word from Guild Mortgage. The buyers were told it was going to close on July 19th so they moved from California to TX now with nowhere to go. We are letting them lease the house, but for how long??? Keep getting the runaround . No one cares at this place from the underwriters to the lenders. Truly an upsetting experience for my 82 year mother the seller. The contract was signed May 10th, the contract with the real estate company expired August 1st as has the contract with the buyers.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Dawn: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your frustrating selling experience. If you would like me to look into this situation further for you, please contact me with more information at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information