2. Mortgages

San Diego, CA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.60/5

Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage company offering services in 48 states. The company was founded in 1960 and offers every type of mortgage loan, including specialized services for first-time homebuyers and consumers with excellent credit.

BOTTOM LINE

Guild Mortgage is a mortgage company with more than 60 years of experience. Customers can sign up for a loan program online and work with one of Guild’s loan specialists to find the right mortgage.

PROS

• Programs for first-time buyers
  • Offers every type of mortgage loan

CONS

• Unavailable in NY and NJ

Top Guild Mortgage Company Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Our loan process was quick and easy and we were taken great care of. ... We receive regular updates on any changes to our account and our bill is always reflected properly. The website interface is simple yet informative and we have never had to wait on an answer for any questions we have had.

I had to move myself, five large dogs, and five cats as quickly as possible. In less than 3 months I was a first time homeowner thanks to Beth ** and her team with Guild Mortgage in Columbia, South Carolina. ... My experience was absolutely positive!

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is Guild Mortgage?

Guild Mortgage is a lender that has mortgages for consumers in every phase of life. The company’s loan specialists help homebuyers get the best possible loans by reviewing their personal finances and selecting programs that fit their needs. Some of the mortgage loan options that Guild Mortgage offers include:

• 3-2-1 Home loans
    • Fixed-rate loans
    • Adjustable-rate loans
    • MH Advantage program
    • Down payment assistance

Guild also offers loan programs for current homeowners, including renovation loans, refinance offers and reverse mortgages.

How does Guild Mortgage work?

To get started with Guild Mortgage, visit the company's website or one of its 250 local branches and fill out the loan interest application. You need to provide your name, phone number, email address and ZIP code. Once Guild receives your information, a loan officer contacts you to go over the details of your finances and determine which loan is right for you. Your loan officer guides you through the mortgage process from your application to closing.

Guild Mortgage rates and fees

Guild Mortgage's interest rates vary based on your creditworthiness and other personal factors. While Guild doesn’t publish any of its rates, the average 30-year rate on a fixed-rate mortgage in 2020 has been between 3.3% and 4%. For the lowest possible rate, make sure you apply to different lenders and compare their rates and fees before you commit to a loan.

Guild Mortgage lists common fee amounts on its website, which include the following potential charges:

• Late charge: Varies by amount past due
    • Insufficient funds: $15
    • Speedpay: Varies up to $7
    • Assumption: $300 to $1,800
    • Recording: Varies by county

Be sure to ask your loan representative about all possible fees you incur with your mortgage.

Guild Mortgage FAQ

Is Guild Mortgage a direct lender?
    Yes, Guild Mortgage is a direct lender that offers many types of mortgage loans.
    Is Guild Mortgage a bank?
    No, Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage lender.
    Does Guild Mortgage service its loans?
    Yes, Guild Mortgage services all loans it originates.

Is Guild Mortgage a good company?

Guild Mortgage is a reputable company that has been serving customers since 1960. It offers comprehensive mortgage services to residents of every state except New York and New Jersey. The company also services its loans, so you don't have to worry about working with a different company for your loan payments. If you’re searching for a mortgage lender with online services and the convenience of a local branch, Guild Mortgage could be right for you.

Guild Mortgage Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

About a year ago, I had started out with another mortgage company and was getting the run around and then they started changing the terms of the loan. That's when I change mortgage companies and I couldn't be happier. After a year, I have not had any of the issues that others have mentioned. Online payments have been easy and everything has been taken care of on time. I would highly recommend Guild Mortgage Company to anyone looking for a good company to work with.

Guild Mortgage Company response

It's great to hear that you would recommend us. Thanks Andrew.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Am so happy to have this company, all thanks to God for everything and you, you have been so good to me. Am grateful. I promise to be loyal and faithful to this company, may God continue to bless you all.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Thank you Lilian! This is wonderful to hear.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Used this company to finance my current home. The process was smooth and went along smoothly. The mortgage broker was very good and to this day I call her a friend. Sadly she works for another company now.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Thanks for this review, Darrel. I'm glad you had a positive experience with Guild.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Guild made the home buying pretty easy. They were great to deal with and very patient and available for this first-time home buyer. I had previously tried to go thru my bank. That drag out for better than 3 weeks. Guild had me taken care of in 24 hours!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Thank you for the kind words, Melody.

Original review: March 13, 2020

After a change of life event I had to move myself, five large dogs, and five cats as quickly as possible. At the time my credit was not great but I listened to what my loan officer recommended and did these steps according to her expertise. In less than 3 months I was a first time homeowner thanks to Beth ** and her team with Guild Mortgage in Columbia, South Carolina and my amazing real estate agent. My experience was absolutely positive! I will definitely use Guild Mortgage in the future as well. I highly recommend Guild Mortgage due to my great experience.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Wow, what a great success story! Thank you for sharing, Melissa.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I started a refinance with Guild 10/22/20. They have yet to complete the refinance. They have consistently neglected to contact me when they need information from me; rather I find out by calling to see what is taking so much time. I am flabbergasted that a reputable company has such lax standards of service. They hold my current mortgage, which was processed in 30 days 5 years ago. I had no idea when I started this refinance that it would be so frustrating.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Evelyn. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews for Guild. I'm. sorry to hear about your negative refinance experience. If you send me your loan information I'll see if I can find out the status of your loan and escalate however I can. You can reach me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

The senior loan payoff specialist did not do her job. AFTER we closed, I was notified that an insurance payment was made, on the day of closing (30 days before the payment was due). I tried to resolve, but they were more offended that I called them directly and didn’t want to help me directly. Instead of calling me, the loan specialist called my escrow officer and threatened to return ALL of the money for the sale if I didn’t pay the $1500+ For the full year of homeowners insurance within 24 hours. Mind you, at this point, I didn’t even own the house any longer. This payment was not disclosed prior to sale. It came back on the day of the sale. If you have people that are "payoff specialists", then they should be fully aware of all activities on the loan.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Dawne. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews for Guild. I'm. sorry to hear about your negative experience with the payoff department. If you'd like me to look into this further, please reach out to me with your loan information and who you worked with at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net. I'll see if I can pass your info along and figure out what might have happened.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

My parents and I bought a house for my sister's family to live in on a Cornerstone loan. They were elderly and retired. We created joint trust for them. When dad passed we created a sole trust for my mother with all property in it. We did not want to refi because mom was very old. The Trust made payments as usual. Cornerstone was bought by Guild so we made payments to them. I set up a Trust for myself with all my property in it. When mom passed we sold the house. We needed to change the ownership on the loan to match the trust names. Our original Cornerstone agent was still with Guild and had the loan. We asked him to work with Guild to get the deed papers realized on the loan. He did not want to get involved and said they sold the Cornerstone loans to an outfit called Dovenmeuhle Mortgage. He said I had to call them (despite the fact our statements came from Guild and we were paying them!).

Dovenmeuhle took hours in queue to get a human. Their people were total idiots and unable to do anything about our problem. We could not distribute the trust without refunds on the mortgage and property insurance. Even my lawyer (whom I spent a lot of money on) could not get them to budge. I raised heck with our agent and demanded he do is job. Finally they said they would issue the check. But they screwed up and the check was made to my dead parents (not cashable). I voided it and sent a terse letter demanding the check be reissued as two checks, one to mother's trust and the other to mine. They refused to give us direct contact to a manager or their "special projects team" supposedly handling it. All I could do is call their danged customer care number and go through the entire Alices' Restaurant Massacree with them.

During all this, we received no calls from them, just an occasional letter here and there saying they were working on it. At this point I had about 3-4 days on the phone we these people. Three months and many hours on the phone later we finally got the checks. Saturday, we got our 1098 mortgage interest statement FROM GUILD MORTGAGE with the original loan names on it. These idiots DID NOT correct their data and filed incorrectly with the IRS. I called the Agent who did not want to get involved. So I found out contact for Chad **, the DM over all the eastern US and tried to call him. My call was routed to the St. Louis office (Guild Corporate is harder to reach than the President). I left msg to have him call me.

Then I called back and asked to speak with Angi ** who is in charge of MO and came from Cornerstone. She was "not available". I left msg for her to call back. Nothing happened. I do know this: everybody there knows that Dovenmuehle is incapable of handling loan issues per federal law. Nobody knows what to do with them so they let the customer go nuts doing their job for them. I believe this may be a violation of federal lending laws. It is not my job to do their job dealing with a broken 3rd party company. I have demanded the Guild assign a POC to handle all old loans via a direct corporate POC at Dovenmeuhle, and this process be socialized to all Agents.

RECOMMENDATION: Only get a loan from an old-line company working under the same name they have had for years. Doing business with globalist "Uberized" corporations that contract out everything does not work. Companies who do not do their own loans and handle the payments and databasing under one roof are an unacceptable risk. If they don't hurry up I will not be able to file taxes. I need two 1098, with 50% of the interest allocated to each Trust.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi David. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews for Guild. I'm. sorry to hear about your negative experience. If there's anything I can do to help, or if you'd like me to look into this further, please reach out to me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Received a pre qualification, submitted all the documents requested, found a house after weeks of searching, found the perfect home. I was told by the mortgage company all was good. Paid $600 for an appraisal, $600 for an inspection and put down $3,000 in earnest money. A closing day was set after they had me purchase homeowners insurance. I was given the rates, and 5 days before closing was told all was good. The day before closing they contacted me asking for over a dozen new items, 2 of which I had no way to get (catch 22). So not only did I lose the house, I am losing the $1200 in appraisal and inspection fees as well as $3,000 in earnest money, due to Guild Mortgage either being liars or incompetent. So if you want to lose $4,200 of your hard earned money, feel free to use Guild Mortgage. They told me “So Sorry”, that doesn’t replace the $4,200 I am losing because of them.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Jeff. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews for Guild. I'm. sorry to hear about your negative experience. If there's anything I can do to help, or if you'd like to discuss this experience, please reach out to me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

As with other we started our refinance in Nov 20. It is now 2 week in Jan 21. We were told the closing cost were minimal that is why we agreed to refi. We were told the closing were 1200, but those would go down. Now they are 2890. That is not going down last I checked. They send you a list of documents that are needing. The same documents were already sent. They want us to sign documents about the extra closing but they did not include my new monthly payment. Wonder why. Then they call me at 830 at night. Word of advice, get everything in writing. Do not communicate via phone. I have decided to look at other companies. Very disappointing. But from what I am reading, it is not unusual. Good luck.

Hi Brian,

My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews. We're always aiming to provide a high level of customer service, so I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience. If there's anything I can do to help, or if you'd like further assistance, please reach out to me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information