2. Mortgages

San Diego, CA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.61/5

Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage company offering services in 48 states. The company was founded in 1960 and offers every type of mortgage loan, including specialized services for first-time homebuyers and consumers with excellent credit.

BOTTOM LINE

Guild Mortgage is a mortgage company with more than 60 years of experience. Customers can sign up for a loan program online and work with one of Guild’s loan specialists to find the right mortgage.

PROS
  • Programs for first-time buyers
  • Offers every type of mortgage loan
CONS
  • Unavailable in NY and NJ

Top Guild Mortgage Company Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Our loan process was quick and easy and we were taken great care of. ... We receive regular updates on any changes to our account and our bill is always reflected properly. The website interface is simple yet informative and we have never had to wait on an answer for any questions we have had.

I had to move myself, five large dogs, and five cats as quickly as possible. In less than 3 months I was a first time homeowner thanks to Beth ** and her team with Guild Mortgage in Columbia, South Carolina. ... My experience was absolutely positive!

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is Guild Mortgage?

Guild Mortgage is a lender that has mortgages for consumers in every phase of life. The company’s loan specialists help homebuyers get the best possible loans by reviewing their personal finances and selecting programs that fit their needs. Some of the mortgage loan options that Guild Mortgage offers include:

• 3-2-1 Home loans
    • Fixed-rate loans
    • Adjustable-rate loans
    • MH Advantage program
    • Down payment assistance

Guild also offers loan programs for current homeowners, including renovation loans, refinance offers and reverse mortgages.

How does Guild Mortgage work?

To get started with Guild Mortgage, visit the company's website or one of its 250 local branches and fill out the loan interest application. You need to provide your name, phone number, email address and ZIP code. Once Guild receives your information, a loan officer contacts you to go over the details of your finances and determine which loan is right for you. Your loan officer guides you through the mortgage process from your application to closing.

Guild Mortgage rates and fees

Guild Mortgage's interest rates vary based on your creditworthiness and other personal factors. While Guild doesn’t publish any of its rates, the average 30-year rate on a fixed-rate mortgage in 2020 has been between 3.3% and 4%. For the lowest possible rate, make sure you apply to different lenders and compare their rates and fees before you commit to a loan.

Guild Mortgage lists common fee amounts on its website, which include the following potential charges:

• Late charge: Varies by amount past due
    • Insufficient funds: $15
    • Speedpay: Varies up to $7
    • Assumption: $300 to $1,800
    • Recording: Varies by county

Be sure to ask your loan representative about all possible fees you incur with your mortgage.

Guild Mortgage FAQ

Is Guild Mortgage a direct lender?
    Yes, Guild Mortgage is a direct lender that offers many types of mortgage loans.
    Is Guild Mortgage a bank?
    No, Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage lender.
    Does Guild Mortgage service its loans?
    Yes, Guild Mortgage services all loans it originates.

Is Guild Mortgage a good company?

Guild Mortgage is a reputable company that has been serving customers since 1960. It offers comprehensive mortgage services to residents of every state except New York and New Jersey. The company also services its loans, so you don't have to worry about working with a different company for your loan payments. If you’re searching for a mortgage lender with online services and the convenience of a local branch, Guild Mortgage could be right for you.

Guild Mortgage Company Reviews

Original review: March 4, 2021

The communication between our lender and us was great. He kept us informed every step of the way. Previous companies I've worked with, it was a constant guessing game; no returned calls. Guild was great with us.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Thanks for the kind words, Sara!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

About a year ago, I had started out with another mortgage company and was getting the run around and then they started changing the terms of the loan. That's when I change mortgage companies and I couldn't be happier. After a year, I have not had any of the issues that others have mentioned. Online payments have been easy and everything has been taken care of on time. I would highly recommend Guild Mortgage Company to anyone looking for a good company to work with.

Guild Mortgage Company response

It's great to hear that you would recommend us. Thanks Andrew.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Am so happy to have this company, all thanks to God for everything and you, you have been so good to me. Am grateful. I promise to be loyal and faithful to this company, may God continue to bless you all.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Thank you Lilian! This is wonderful to hear.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Used this company to finance my current home. The process was smooth and went along smoothly. The mortgage broker was very good and to this day I call her a friend. Sadly she works for another company now.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Thanks for this review, Darrel. I'm glad you had a positive experience with Guild.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Guild made the home buying pretty easy. They were great to deal with and very patient and available for this first-time home buyer. I had previously tried to go thru my bank. That drag out for better than 3 weeks. Guild had me taken care of in 24 hours!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Thank you for the kind words, Melody.

Original review: April 21, 2021

Let me start off by saying that I have had 2 home loans in the past with Guild Mortgage and never have I experienced any discomfort as now. My loan officers in the past were Eva ** and Claire. My past experience was pleasant and that is why I thought about my 3rd loan with Guild Mortgage. I had sent my information to Bonita ** and her assistant Fatima ** back in February. I was told my credit is great and the amount me and my partner would qualify for etc. I emailed Both of them several times for updates. I emailed Bonita on April 10 regarding the details of the different programs that they have available and No response back. My realtor has not been able to get in touch with Bonita. She has left her several messages and emails. Bonita has not responded to me in over a week. My boyfriend who also emailed her for an update after sending her all his personal documents and cannot get a response back from her.

Today I emailed her letting her know that I would be leaving a review and what a surprise she decided to reply. This is very inconsiderate on her behalf. Especially when trying to purchase a home. I'm very disappointed with the outcome and how we have been treated. This should be embarrassing for Guild Mortgage. It’s clear that customer service is not important. I highly believe in valuing your customers your returning customers. Reputation is so important!! I will open a loan somewhere else. Today I would not recommend Guild Mortgage.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I need to close on my house and needed a signature to be able to fully close. They have made the whole process a living #3/\ for me. Finally, when I get ahold of someone to finally move the process faster they inform me that it will take 6 more days to complete the signing. Which everyday I am paying on my taxes for them. Completely ridiculous. Do not recommend if you are actually do something with your home.

Original review: March 12, 2021

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!! Tried three hundred times over a month to reach the loan servicing department during covid. AFTER 9 hours on hold I finally got through. I wanted to put my mortgage into forbearance and they REFUSED. THEY are literally breaking the law.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Margaret. Did this issue get resolved? If you reach out to me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net I'd like to try and help.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Your Prescott Arizona office is broken. You'll want to investigate the "**" "Team" (joke), with Danielle, Larissa, and the others as they have together managed to create the most dysfunctional and specious mortgage experience we've ever experienced. My wife and I agree, (we're old and experienced) as we've, over a lifetime of real estate sales and purchases, done close to 50 mortgages for ourselves, and for my real estate and business clients in the Silicon Valley, California... I have never before witnessed such dysfunction in a mortgage transaction, and it's due to the people in charge of your Prescott, AZ offices. I can write in great detail about our many "OMG" moments, but if you really care about the bad experiences your customers endure because of the wrong people running your operations there, you will find ample support for my opinion.

Guild Mortgage Company response
      Hi Clay. We've connected via email and I passed this review along to our regional VP

-Ryan

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I started a refinance with Guild 10/22/20. They have yet to complete the refinance. They have consistently neglected to contact me when they need information from me; rather I find out by calling to see what is taking so much time. I am flabbergasted that a reputable company has such lax standards of service. They hold my current mortgage, which was processed in 30 days 5 years ago. I had no idea when I started this refinance that it would be so frustrating.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Evelyn. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews for Guild. I'm. sorry to hear about your negative refinance experience. If you send me your loan information I'll see if I can find out the status of your loan and escalate however I can. You can reach me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information