Guild Mortgage Company

San Diego, CA

Established in 1960, Guild Mortgage Company is the leading privately-held mortgage company in the United States. Guild makes home ownership possible.

Compare Mortgage Companies

Research top Mortgage Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Looking to do a refinance I decided to use Guild Mortgage. The branch in Sacramento was asking for documents that had been sent July 8 and 9 2017 and they were now asking for the same documents again. Very incompetent branch manager. And when I question the request I was told that I was confused with another lender, then later he sent an email saying I was right and he was wrong with no apology. Just incompetent, awful.

Leah at Guild Mortgage is awesome. I tried to get my pre-approval letter from my local credit union that says they do mortgages. After 2 weeks, I pulled all paperwork & scanned it to Guild in Seattle. Pre-approval letter done in 4 hours! Never had to drive to Seattle, everything done over phone & scanner. Got the house I wanted for the price I wanted. Thanks Leah!

My wife and I bought a vacation home in Pacific City OR and used Guild Mortgage. They were atrocious. We had to resubmit paperwork numerous times, they delayed the closing for 3 months and whenever we called it was as though we were talking for the first time. The staff was incompetent and disdainful. I'm praying for the day when they sell our mortgage.

I don't understand the bad reviews here. From my experience, Tim worked very hard to help us through the entire process. He and I were in constant communication, even sometimes in the middle of the night. I was in Maryland trying to find a VA approved home to retire to at the beach. Tim was our rock and advisor. He even advised me about selling our home in Maryland first. Then it literally took six months for us to find our forever home. Tim was such a help and actually knew the area so well, he advised us along the way with such patience and care, I could not believe that a loan officer could be so caring. If you are thinking about moving to this area, I would highly recommend Guild Mortgage and especially Tim **. Thank you Tim!

As a licensed realtor in the state of Texas I will NEVER allow my client to accept an offer if they are the seller or my buyers to use Guild for their lender! This has been a horrendous experience for both seller and buyer!! At this point we are almost 7 days past original closing date with NO end in sight. If Guild does not pull this together and close by Wednesday on this loan your client (the buyer) is set to lose a large amount of money all due to the dishonest, unprofessional and unacceptable behavior of not only the loan officer Maria ** but her Supervisor. I have spoken to many agents in my office since this started and they are all of the same mind -- NEVER GUILD!!! Most painful and terrible experience I have had as a realtor with a lender! This will also be reported to the appropriate agencies in our area including the BBB.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Getting a loan and closing was no problem unlike many reviews. We had a great experience with our loan officer. Fast forward almost 2 years later and I'm very disappointed. We recently went from a 2 to 1 income due to a company buyout with my husband's job. I called Guild to check our options of what we could do until our house could sell. They were very rude, unprofessional and had no sympathy whatsoever. We have perfect credit and have never made any late payments whatsoever. They suggested we apply for Forbearance so we did... almost 2 months later they still claim we are missing paperwork yet we've supplied them with everything they've asked for, they won't return our calls of questions and are extremely rude and unprofessional.

I called yesterday to let them know our house would finally be selling after 4 months on the market. My understanding when we applied for forbearance per what they told us was we wouldn't be held responsible for the payments due to his loss of job and it wouldn't affect our credit. Yesterday they informed me we would owe those payments by closing, they have put it on our credit and they continue to be unprofessional every time we talk to them. We can't sell our house soon enough to be rid of them. Very disappointing considering we had such a great buying experience but thru his job loss it's been a very disappointing experience to get any help thru them. I will never recommend them to anyone after our experience.

The home mortgage (new single family home purchase) was a flawless, <30day event. No snags whatsoever. The loan closed and escrow management is where I have issues. They intentionally withhold in a separate area of the statement an amount of rolled escrow from prior year and then on the monthly statements you will only ever see the current year's escrow info. RESPA requires lenders do not collect in excess of more than 2 months of current escrow requirements for that year based on the prior year's costs. Guild seems to know this - which is the reason to 'hide' your unused, rolled escrow in another area of the statement. You better keep track of what you are paying because they will hide and keep it from you. I threatened and followed thru on contacting the federal lending oversight agencies and reported Guild because they illegally withheld some $700 excess and STILL increased my escrow payments! Once the federal agency got involved, I was promptly refunded and my original escrow payments were adjusted to comply with RESPA guidelines. Ethical business would have made the correction without the drama and once it was pointed out -- not Guild :o(

Processed our mortgage through Guild and had a horrible experience. They delayed the closing of our house several times and repeatedly asked us to resubmit paperwork. Since closing, contacting them about my mortgage has been a nightmare. Repeatedly long hold times and no call back after leaving multiple messages. If I could do it over again, I would go with a different company.

I was referred to this company by a realtor after my husband died. I refinanced with them, it had been years of miscommunication, inept and incompetent people seem to work there. I'm trying to pay off my mortgage but my prepayments have been returned to me and I somehow end up in late payments! Any advice on how to get away from this company would be appreciated.

They have delayed the closing on a house we are selling several times. Never have all the documents they needed. Delay of closing because buyer is "waiting for money to be placed into her account". Never have had this happen. Would not recommend them to anyone in San Angelo, Texas.

I had to come here to give a review because most reviews are left by angry people. It's hard not to get blindsided when you're looking for a good company to do business with and no one ever tells the success stories. I created an account just to leave this review because I wanted the world to know about my experience with Guild.

Being a first-time home buyer, I was recommended to Guild by a real estate agent who in turn was recommended by a co-worker. I called Jeff ** and he hit the ground running. At that time I thought I was ready to buy a home, but I was wrong. Jeff held my hand and prepared me for the mortgage lender. He helped identify potential issues in my credit and places where I needed work. We worked together for 6 months until my credit was in a good place, and he pre-approved me for the loan and introduced me to Amanda **, who introduced herself and said, "We're going to be best friends until we get you in a home!" She wasn't kidding. We called and texted each other several times a day. She answered questions at 11 pm on Saturday nights and 2 pm on Sunday afternoons. It felt like she never left my side and was there even more than my real estate agent.

By the time I was in processing and underwriting, Amanda (my loan officer) was still there not missing a beat. At times it seemed like the loan had challenges but she always found ways to clear things up. The communication was outstanding! My loan was closed in 30 days and the only reason it took that long were from delays on MY part. My loan officer was actually at my closing and still continued to communicate by sending me details about my new mortgage payments. My experience with Guild was amazing to the point where I think the team sent to work on my loan were divine! Thanks again to the team at Guild Mortgage in Cumming, GA!

If you need your sanity for life do not choose Guild Mortgage for your loan!!! The company we were originally dealing with changed to Guild in the middle of closing on our home, we had to turn everything back in to them as if we were new customers qualifying for a home. They never answers the phone. Nobody will ever give you honest answers. They will string you along to make you think everything is ok but in actually they are plotting a way to decline your loan. We were dealing with them for 2 months before we had to show up in the area manager's office only to say their underwriters couldn't approve our loan. If you disregard this review of them as I did you will regret it!!

We purchased a home through Guild in March of 2016. Everything was going great until I lost my job and we went from being a 2 income household to a 1. Not only that but we experienced some pretty huge hardships that left us basically penniless. Guild helped us get through by offering flexible payment options and plans. I would recommend them to anyone!!!

We sold our house to well qualified buyers who are using Guild Mortgage. Today, we missed our 5th scheduled closing date because of Guild Mortgage. Guild has come up with excuse after excuse for delaying the closing. It's now been more than 3 months since we accepted the offer on our house. Today was our 5th scheduled closing date, and we were assured by the regional manager at Guild that there was no reason we would miss this one yet here we are.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have a pre-approval letter from Guild, it is not worth the paper it is written on. I will never again sell a house to someone using Guild Mortgage, and I'm sure it goes without saying, I will never ever use them to finance a home. They have cause me, and several others many sleepless nights. They have hurt my credibility with the people I'm buying my new house from, because I can't close on my new house until this house closes. They have hurt me financially. Never again!!!

My experience with Guild began ok, the process was ok. The staff were ok at the beginning. Soon after the nightmare began. Trying to make a payment was like picking needles out of a haystack. You're on hold forever. Let me back this up. The online payment system is a joke and I don't trust these people so I like talking to a human.

I read one of the reviews that said they didn't know why Guild had so many bad reviews. They had no problems. Well like I said in the beginning they were ok. Just wait. You will see the real Guild reveal itself. I did have some reservation about GUILD in the beginning but I chose to ignore because my lease was up and I needed a home. Red flag: My broker changed companies right in the middle of us searching for a home. I owned two homes and never experienced such foolishness. This is a warning. If you're looking for a mortgage company, beware of Guild Mortgage Company. They will make your life a living hell.

Joe ** was able to get me a loan when no one else could. Not only that, but he and his company were very fair. I am a Veteran with NO credit. He got me the loan at a good interest rate and was also more than fair in the charges for the loan. I live in AZ and bought a property in Tucson. My realtor referred me to Joe and told me that if Joe said he could do it then he could. AND HE DID! The staff was easy to work with... nice and friendly. I don't know why the company has such bad reviews because my experience was very positive and I got my home! Joe even came to the closing and bought me some candy and gifts... very nice man!

This company does not even deserve a one star rating. They deserve a zero rating. We purchased our house this last January, they totally ignored the Appraiser's report. If not for my own due diligence we would not have closed on time. Their local office and their home office DO NOT COMMUNICATE!!! Case-in-point, after several months we were and are getting a mountain of offers to refi our VA loan using an Interest Rate Reduction Loan, to be fair we gave Guild the opportunity to compete for our business. They asked us what we wanted and we told them a lower interest rate, smaller payments, and no payments for two months. They promised a better deal so we went with Guild. Their better deal was a rate reduction from 4% to 3.5%, but after all of their fees our payment was reduced by $175.

They promised no payment for two months, but their home office demanded we make our August 2016 payment, our local office in Lakewood, Colorado told us NOT to make the August payment. Their home office told us regardless of the local office and their assurances, if we didn't make the payment they'd put us in default. So we made the payment. Once we closed on the refi, we were informed we would NOT be getting two months, no payments. We'd only be getting one month.

When we explained to our local office what the home office demanded, they told us "Too bad. So sad." They played us from both ends. When I recontacted the home office, they reaffirmed their earlier demand for payment. They both told me they DO NOT COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER! How insane is that? DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS SLIMEY COMPANY! Shop around, do your due diligence and research potential companies. Check with mortgage regulators, BBB, and Customer reviews and Consumer Agencies. Also write down everyone you talk to, record dates and times and get everything in writing.

Please if you are a single mom or first time home owner do not go to this company. THEY LIE, give you false hope, and completely leave you even more in debt than you begun with. My daughters and I are now almost homeless because two weeks until we closed, things changed, and they dropped the ball. They screwed up and we suffer the repercussions. We paid for an inspection, surveying, transferred utilities over and packed our home with 30 day notice to previous landlord and 2 weeks before closing we were all of a sudden no longer approved. Even with an immaculate co-signer they did not offer any help in other loans or services and just left us hanging. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY...This one is located in Longview, Texas. Sincerely - broken hearted broken pocketed single mother.

I won't go into the lengthy experience but I will definitely warn others to beware of this company. Every person we dealt with was unprofessional and unqualified. Over 60 days to close FHA loan? The whole process was unorganized and we had a total of 6 closing dates that the loan officer, Samuel **, failed to meet. We eventually closed but with unnecessary headache. This company is ran more like a bank than a mortgage company with their closings. Horrible experience!

I applied for a loan on their website on a Sunday. I never received any phone calls or emails from them all week. On Saturday I received the letter with my credit score and explanations they are required to send when they pull your credit. Nothing else. “No, Thanks for applying but sorry,” or “You can get this much mortgage.” Very poor customer service. If this is how they treat applicants I hate to see how they are with account holders. I will be using a different mortgage company.

Frankly, Tom ** with Guild Mortgage is dishonest. Recommendation: avoid. This is a guy who doesn't realize or perhaps care that his influence over the purchase of your home can have a lasting impact on you and your family. He is untrustworthy and lacks scruples. Perhaps my dealings with him were when the finance industry was more poorly regulated, but given the chance he will mislead you, not find loans that are ideal for you but sure to maximize his reward, and surprise you at the loan closing table with a host of unpleasant surprises. Also, if he was recommended to you by your realtor, it would be a good idea to dump both of them and find someone new to help you find a home. Good luck!

I was contacted by Guild regarding refinancing my home at a lower interest rate about 2 months ago. Considering that when I bought my home it was financed through Guild but sold to a bank I was all for it. The original dealings with them was not perfect but not horrible. I was lead to believe that I would end up with about 1,400 in my pocket when I told them I did not want any out of pocket expenses. I am single so finances stay tight. I was supposed to close on June 27th with my first payment being on Aug 1. Then it got moved to June 30 then to July 1... I have to pay almost as much as my house payment with my first payment being due on Sept 1. I drove the 45 mins to meet with the notary leaving work early to make the appt time. I received a call from the notary stating he had not received the closing docs yet.

As soon as I could I sent an email asking what was going on. Guild dropped the ball for the third time!!! No signing was happening so at this point I have no clue when we are closing, how much I need for out of pocket or if I can even enjoy my 4th of July weekend since I have no clue how much spending money I might have. Mind you when I mentioned that I was not happy with what it is costing I was informed they were incurring most of the cost. Bull!!! They tack it onto your loan!!! Very very disappointed and angry that they have no respect for playing with people's time or finances.

Ron and team made sure to close in 30 days and made it easy. I can't recommend them high enough.

0 communication. Always has an excuse why communication could not be established. Called corporate to have them check on lender to make sure they were still alive. That's how bad the communication was. Not very organized. Buying a house is a nightmare because people like this make it that way. It really does not have to be this bad but when lenders and real estate agents cant communicate it's a nightmare. I would no recommend them. I only used them cause a friend recommended them. Horrible communication and I'm still not done yet, we close hopefully in 4 days. If the lender does not communicate with me we may lose the house altogether and then I would have to ask for money back from Guild, and if they refused I'd have to sue them for the money. Stay away from Guild, they will only make buying a house more miserable than it should be.

Guild Mortgage Savannah Office - It was a discouraging experience as a first time buyer using this mortgage broker. As a potential first time buyer I made it clear to the broker working my loan application that I was interested in the Georgia Dream down payment assistance program. I emailed her consistently asking about our eligibility. She told me we were not eligible due my credit score not being high enough, but she can rapid re-score and let me know what I need to do. I told her in an email, that if I was not eligible for down payment assistance at this time then I will wait until my score meets the minimum. She assured me everything will be fine. This went on for a while, when I asked again about the down payment assistance, she told me that I was ineligible due the household income limit was 59000.00 (this is for a household of two).

I explained to her there were five people in my home. She got the names and ages of my other children. I kept insisting that if we were not eligible for down payment assistance, then I will wait. She told me everything with be fine. When informed her that I lost a source of income, she did not say that she could not do the loan. She said she had to reconfigure it. She told me everything looked good, even quoted a payment of 828.30 on 3/11. I forwarded the broker a home insurance quote I received from Allstate with a lower rate as she requested. I sent emails thereafter requesting application status. She either opened my emails and did not respond (from my work email I can tell when a message is read) or she responded with "I will get back to you."

The letter she sent to the real estate agent and seller gave the impression that in spite of my losing a source of income, that she is working to close the deal, the letter did say specifically that she could not make it work. In the end, I lost my earnest money and money spent for the housing/termite inspection, a total of 790.00. My suggestion for anyone wanting to buy a house utilizing the down payment assistance program will be to apply for the program first to see if you qualify, then contact a mortgage broker and if you do not meet the minimum credit score, wait until you do or you could be on the losing end as I was.

I am Realtor in Las Vegas and was introduced to the loan officer Nick through my coworker. I suggested to my client that he work with Guild. 5 MONTHS AGO was when the nightmare began and my client and I are still dealing with their nonsense daily. I have had to extend the contract 5 times to allow for them to complete paperwork and 1 week out from close they still do not have Underwriter approval. Client’s earnest money at risk and no one there seems to care or show any sense of urgency. Nick's boss is his cousin so no accountability there and their boss Stacie keeps deferring contact and sending me and my client back to Nick who for whatever reason is unable to hold anyone accountable or be accountable. I have been in the Real Estate business for over 7 years and have never witnessed a circus like this. If you want your loan to close and want a low stress experience run for your life if anyone suggests using Guild. Never again!!!

These people should not be allowed to be in business. Ridiculous, unorganized, repeated and redundant requests for nonsense. No sense of deadlines or any sense of urgency. And, the real deal killer is that they act offended when you express dissatisfaction with their non-existent service and ludicrous excuses for failure to perform. Apparently they think their behaviors are acceptable. Unfortunately the only reason anyone would continue with their sham is because they are so far in... That there is no way out other than to try and close the deal. GUILD = STRESS + DISAPPOINTMENT and that is way too kind. Nightmare.

I was pre-approved for a loan - I actually found a house I was interested in and we set a date to close for the end of June. Because my loan officer wasn't getting paid she put our loan on the back burner. Needless to say we had to extend the closing date several times, now the seller is asking for more money to extend it one last time and we still do not have a clear to close. Our application has been to underwriting three times and they have all the paperwork that was requested. Before we give up any more money we would like to know that we will be able to close but the loan officer cannot give us a direct yes or no. We have decided to just cut our losses because it's just too stressful dealing with someone who has a very bad attitude.

I applied for an FHA loan out of the box on/about jun 8th, 2015. Immediately the broker had my credit report (because I brought a current one and disclosed all, including 2 short sales from 3+ years ago). Even so, the broker said the FHA loan would be "no problem" with my salary and my credit report, as long as we got a certain minimum score, which we did. He set the settlement date at July 10, knowing my new job start date was July 20. Beginning July 6th, furniture on truck, me just pulling away from east coast of US, I am told settlement needs to be moved to July 17 because "paperwork is needed". I am dumbfounded!! What paper? I have sent everything that was asked. Now someone else is asking for things that I offered the other broker and was told wasn't needed, plus things I already sent.

My furniture has to go into storage for 4 days and be re-delivered costing me additional $4000.00 because it was insured, so needed to keep it with that company to keep the insurance intact until I received it. Then, on July 13th, broker tells me they need to have the "first 2 PAYCHECKS FROM MY NEW JOB!! THIS IS STANDARD FOR FHA WITH SHORTSALES IN CREDIT HISTORY!!!" Homeowner wasn't willing to wait another 3 weeks for me to get those stubs. I had an employment contract in addition to the employment letter, but that wasn't good enough.

I lost the earnest $$$ of over $2500.00 plus $500.00 home inspection they told me I had to pay, plus $100.00 pool inspection. I WOULD HAVE NEVER GIVEN AN EARNEST DEP. IF THE BROKER KNEW THEIR BUSINESS AND HAD TOLD ME ABOUT THE PAYCHECK STUB REQUIREMENT, WHICH WAS SUPPOSEDLY STANDARD, SINCE I (AND THEY) KNEW MY WORK START DATE!!! I believe I was set up purposely just to get whatever commission they received on my earnest deposit and whatever fees they took!!! Now I am in a 2-year lease, paying at least 300-400 more each month in rent, plus my realtor received a commission on finding me this rental, as well!!! I am out all of that $$$ with no recourse!!! I called a couple of lawyers, but no return calls.

I made contact with Mortgage broker Kelli ** on 1/28/15 regarding purchasing a home. I forwarded her all necessary documents for her to pre-approve me for a home loan. She advised me I was pre-approved for $120,000 home loan. I went under contract for a home in March of 2015. However, when the seller attempted to verify my loan approval, she was advised Ms. ** was no longer employed with the company. Ms. ** was previously employed with Primary Residential Mortgage which I initially started the home buying process. She went to Guild Mortgage and did not notify me of the change which in turn caused me to lose the home I was under contract for. I contacted Ms. ** about the discrepancy and she was very apologetic for not informing me of the change.

On April 21, 2015, I went under contract for another home. My realtor, Tasha ** forwarded the contract to Ms. ** the same day it was signed. Ms. ** never contacted me. I emailed her on 4/30/15 requesting a GFE for the home. I was scheduled to close on May 21. Ms. ** sent me my disclosures and GFE on May 22, 2015. She informed me she would need more time to complete my loan. I made several attempts via email and phone calls to contact Ms. ** over several days and she would never return my calls. I finally contacted her manager, Craig **. He advised me he would speak with Ms. ** regarding her lack of communication with me. Ms. ** returned my phone call after a week of trying to reach her. She informed me her husband had been sick which is why she had not completed my loan.

Since my loan was not completed within the allotted time frame outlined by my contract, the seller declined to extend the contract and I lost my earnest money, inspection fee and appraisal fee. Ms. ** made also made an offensive recommendation to me during a phone call. She asked me if I received public assistance. When I informed her I didn't, she proceeded to tell me I should apply for food stamp assistance to help with the cost associated with owning a home. Ms. ** was very unprofessional with the handling of my loan; which caused me to lose $2,000. She did not explain the process to me clearly and was horrible with returning phone calls and emails. I emailed the president of Guild Mortgage along with the regional manager; yet I have not heard back. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!!!!

We were promised a rate and a loan and 7 days before closing and furniture on the way, we were told we couldn't have the rate and had to gone up with 26000 and had to pay PMI. We were stuck in a box. We couldn't go anywhere else on time to close and now we pay 220 more a month and a point higher than we were told. We want away from this company asap.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Profile