1.59/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

San Diego, CA

Established in 1960, Guild Mortgage Company is the leading privately-held mortgage company in the United States. Guild makes home ownership possible.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Guild Mortgage Company Reviews

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

My experience is with Guild Mortgage of Henderson, NV - Becca ** is the Branch Manager. I recently refinanced my mortgage with them. They are the original mortgage holder and they were the ones who called me asking if I would like my interest rate to lower a bit. Which I agreed. Not only did the process take approx. 8 weeks to complete the refi but customer service with this branch is the worst. I keep receiving marketing emails from Becca **, but when you email her, she does not even respond back.

My credit score dropped 24 points after refinancing and all I am getting as an explanation is that it will climb back up after 1 or 2 payments, when I called them. I have not had this kind of credit drop experience before so naturally I am very concerned with the credit score drop. The reason for the drop on my credit monitor is specifically attached to Guild Mortgage so that is why I wrote 3 emails to Becca ** without any call back or email reply. This is the worst mortgage company I have ever dealt with.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Giovanni: My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear you've had such a negative experience refinancing your mortgage loan with us. I've passed along your feedback to the branch. If you have any questions or would like me to look into your situation more specifically, please do not hesitate to email me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net with your loan information and your concerns.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

This is the worst mortgage company we have ever dealt with! They have taken our monthly escrow so high we can hardly afford it due to their mistakes! Forgot to pay a tax bill, didn’t collect the right amount on a refinance.... The list goes on and on. Every 6 months are mortgage goes up! If you can avoid them, do so at all cost!!!!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi R.: My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I am really sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. What you describe is not acceptable practices at Guild. If you would like for me to look into your situation and escalate your concerns, please contact me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net with your loan information. You may also call me at 858-492-0014, however I am often in meetings, so may not get back to you as quickly as with email.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Hello, and good morning. I felt it right to write a review, notifying any future customers it is in their best interest to stay FAR AWAY from this company. This was my first mortgage and home, and the loan was issued with Coldwell Bank. No sooner than moving into my house, I was notified that my loan had been sold to Guild. A company that was based out of California (I was in Florida), with no offices even close to where I lived. If any issues were to arise, they would have to be dealt with in a very non personable, over the phone communication. (Not what you want for the largest purchase of your life.)

Within 3 years, there were multiple issues that arose. However, I'm here to alert those on the closing of my house, and the fraudulent charges/fees they stole from the equity I had coming in the sale. The closing agent herself said she had never seen a payoff so convoluted in over the 20 years she has been in business. Long story short, I'm very good at math, and what the final number amounted to after frivolous fees and charges, this company basically stole $5,000 from me, and the equity I had built in my house. RUN if your mortgage is sold to them. My best and truly most honest advice would be to refinance with another company IMMEDIATELY. Save yourself the headache and inevitable coals you will indefinitely be raked across.

Charles

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Charles: My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I'm sorry to hear that you're upset that your loan was sold to Guild Mortgage. Our Loan Servicing Department is based in San Diego, CA, but is available to assist you with your mortgage questions whenever you need. Is there a specific situation that has motivated you to write this review? If so, and if you would like for me to look into that situation for you, please do not hesitate to contact me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I just refinanced my home and Guild was my mortgage company up until now, they have been paid off for my mortgage and are holding my escrow payment hostage for another 15 days when they’ve been paid for over a week. Called and talk to their customer service people. They said there’s nothing they can do about it to speed up the process. You would think a company that already has my checking account wouldn’t waste their time sending a check out when they can direct deposit it back into my checking. I would not do business with this company ever again.

Hi James:

I'm not sure where the disconnect is here. My email is valid and has been for 5 years. This is the only time in the many years I've responded to customers that someone has not been able to get a hold of me. Please try bgonzales@guildmortgage.net. You are also more than welcome to call me at 858-492-0014. Please note that I am often in meetings and may take a few hours to get back to you, which is why I prefer email to more quickly address your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I recently had a terrible experience with Guild Mortgage. I had recently changed bank accounts. I went online to stop my ACH with Guild and got a notification that this had been completed. I then went and changed my bank information and restarted my ACH and was told that this was completed. I did this 4 days before my payment came out. Much to my dismay, my old bank account was severely in the negative the next week. When I went in to look, my mortgage payment had gone out of my old bank account. I immediately called in to Guild Customer Service and I was told that I was supposed to have made that change 7 to 10 days prior to my payment due date. I explained that nowhere on the website was I told this. I was told that I was mailed a letter letting me know this. I explained that this was Tuesday, I had made the change the previous Friday and that I had not received that letter. Nor have I still a week later.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and retold my story. I was told that Guild couldn't pay the $325 in fees that I was charged. I was taken aback and told the supervisor that Guild was making hundreds of thousands of dollars on my account. Surely Guild could afford $325. The supervisor told me that she would have to contact her supervisor and that someone would call me back by Friday the 21st of September. I didn't not get a call back until Tuesday the 25th of September. At this time I was told that Guild wanted me to email my bank statement and the ACH change letter. Shouldn't Guild have that letter since it came from them? I still haven't received that letter anyways. I don't want anything except for the $325 in fees I was charged because of Guild. I feel like this isn't too much especially considering the almost $300,000 I am paying in interest on a $235,000 loan.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi David: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. If this is still unresolved, or if you would like me to look further into your situation, please contact me with your loan information at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

My credit was not the greatest and I had been doing my darndest to get it back on track so that I could buy a house for my son and I. A realtor suggested I contact Caitlin **, she reported how creative she was and possibly could set me in the right direction. So I make the appointment with her only she never called. That should of been my first clue, but I looked the other way; finally, I called her after waiting a half hour. She told me to do three things. I got the information for her as quickly as I could. She told me she would do a rapid rescore and get back to me because it would only take 3-5 business days. So I emailed her several times and never got a response. Weeks went by and I still never heard from her. So I called her, reminded her who I was and what was the status of my rapid. She told me that the documents that I faxed were probably too dark but would let me know.

So a few more weeks went by and I texted her for another status update, the documents were evidently too dark so could I screenshot them to her instead. Sure, no problem. Finally, August 23rd, I call again for an update because this rapid rescore that was supposed to take 3-5 business days has turned into a month and a half. Now she tells me that Equifax has a hold on my account for fraudulent activities and I should be receiving a call from them; she would follow up with them and call me either way that Monday. Rather than wait, I called Equifax myself to find out what's going on. They reported that there was NO fraudulent activity on or in my account. I called Caitlin and had to leave a voicemail asking her to please return my call. She didn't and she never called that Monday like she said she would.

I texted her on Tuesday informing her of what Equifax said and never heard from her. And I still never heard from her. At the very least, I find the lack of communication very unprofessional. I would be a first time home owner and was looking forward to doing what I needed to do, even if I had to wait six months to improve my credit scores but nothing was ever communicated to me. I took my business elsewhere and I don't have to chase him down, be given the run around and calls/texts are responded to!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Prudence: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. Clear communication and timely responses are important parts of excellent customer service here. I'm sorry your experience fell below our standards. If you would like for me to look into your situation, please contact me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Guild pulled through for us during the home buying process which was great. However, they inaccurately reported me for a late payment this year to the bureaus which of course caused a negative hit to my credit report. I contacted Guild to discuss the FCRA and they refused to budge, and said “late” is based on when they close their books for the month, not actually by 30 days past due as the FCRA outlines. I opened a dispute directly with the bureaus and the bureaus have corrected my report. My recommendation: UPDATE YOUR STANDARD BUSINESS PRACTICES TO ALIGN WITH THE FCRA. Consumers should not have their credit falsely impacted and forced to dispute elsewhere to get a resolution.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Lyn: My Name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating experience trying to correct a credit reporting. I am glad to hear you were able to resolve your issue directly with the credit bureau. I am passing along your comment to our Customer Service Department to make sure you're concerns are heard and considered. If you would like to discuss anything else or need any other assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Selling a home to buyers going through Guild Mortgage in Fort Worth TX. Have been trying to close for the last 4 weeks. Have a house to buy which is contingent on this house selling which we were told would close July 3rd. Today is August 2 and still waiting on a closing date. This is the last extension for us to buy our house and still no word from Guild Mortgage. The buyers were told it was going to close on July 19th so they moved from California to TX now with nowhere to go. We are letting them lease the house, but for how long??? Keep getting the runaround . No one cares at this place from the underwriters to the lenders. Truly an upsetting experience for my 82 year mother the seller. The contract was signed May 10th, the contract with the real estate company expired August 1st as has the contract with the buyers.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Dawn: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your frustrating selling experience. If you would like me to look into this situation further for you, please contact me with more information at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: July 29, 2019

While our experience with securing a loan was good, our experience with this company after suffering a flood to our home has been awful! Our basement flooded in April. It's July and Guild will not release the funds necessary to pay our service providers. They've lost (claimed to have never received) authorizations sent via email AND fax. They've lost (claimed to have never received) the adjusters report that was over-nighted along with the check from our insurance company. Somehow they received the check but not the adjuster's report that was in the same envelope.

The customer service reps are rude and nasty. They are there to collect a paycheck, not help you during one of the most devastating times of your life. No empathy whatsoever. They simply don't care. Buyer beware when obtaining a Guild mortgage. Front end customer service from the broker was great. But back end service will leave you frustrated and defeated with repair bills piling up because they lose paperwork, and keep the insurance check for a ridiculously long amount of time. My claims adjuster was floored that we still hadn't received funds after almost 4 months.

Hi Amanda:

My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your basement flooding and about the frustrating experience you're having with our Loan Servicing department. If you would like me to escalate your concerns, please contact me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net with your loan information and I will handle it right away.

Original review: July 25, 2019

First time using Guild Mortgage. At first I thought they were great. My husband and I have been with Guild for almost 2 years now and they are HORRIBLE!!!! We will NEVER work with Guild ever again and I don’t recommend them to anyone. We’ve been having issues with this company since 2/2019 when we received our new 2019 statement. Our mortgage was going up $350! Talked to them and they said something wasn’t right. Apparently can’t figure this matter out now for over five months now.

We aren’t required to have Flood Insurance but that hasn’t stopped Guild to take that out of our mortgage payment even though I paid out of pocket for Flood Insurance. Then, they calculated the wrong insurance amount which we had to pay an extra $966 to fix their mistake. Now months later, we’re waiting for checks to come in the mail and our mortgage payment to be adjusted. I’ve tried to contact people for weeks now. No one answers or calls me back. WHAT A JOKE!!!

Hi Katie:

My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your issues regarding insurance and your mortgage payment. If you would like for me to look into this for you and have someone contact you, please email me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net with your information.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information