2. Mortgages

San Diego, CA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.58/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Established in 1960, Guild Mortgage Company is the leading privately-held mortgage company in the United States. Guild makes home ownership possible.

Guild Mortgage Company Reviews

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I am shocked to see so many low reviews here! Our loan process was quick and easy and we were taken great care of (props to Troy **). We receive regular updates on any changes to our account and our bill is always reflected properly. The website interface is simple yet informative and we have never had to wait on an answer for any questions we have had. I highly recommend them!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Jonathan: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. Thanks for sharing this great review - I'm happy to know you're having a good experience with us.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Ken ** has gone above and beyond to make sure I get what’s best for my situation! He is always available and explains things to me since this is my first time buying a home! If anyone is looking for the best lender KEN ** is the person to go to! Thank you Ken for all your hard work and patience with me!

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Supportive, Communicative, Knowledgeable. This team is a dream to work with. The documents are able to be signed by cell phone, or by laptop and navigation is easy. This is so underrated for us working people who don't have a home printer, and don't have time to find one. They are available for questions even after hours, I was blown away. No question is ignorant or ignored. They always give you the truth and your options. Customer service is key when making a huge decision like buying a home especially when the contract fails or has issues. We had an issue with our contract and they were very supportive, even in our disappointment. I can't say enough about this team of professionals.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

So I recently wrote in the complaint section on Guild Mortgage’s website about the fact that they financed a property without a certificate of occupancy against FHA regulations. The house was renovated (adding 1000 sq ft) and required a CO per city code. Guild mortgage financed the house without verifying the certificate of occupancy and appraised the value of the house at least four times over true value. Now I’m facing an order to vacate from the city on a house that needs 190k worth of work for me to be able to live in and a 259k mortgage to go with it. I have yet to receive the proper response from Guild Mortgage and they continue to bounce me around. Nobody seems to handle those complaints.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I was 2 months late on my mortgage. I sent in 1 payment and the 2nd payment 4 days later. 1 week later I received a letter stating they can't accept my payment until they have both payments at the same time. News flash you had both payments. So now what?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Mortgage was sold to Guild - their statements never line up with payments made. Was in an accident and couldn't work, tried working out a plan with them; never received contact back. 2 months in was called I was in arrears; I asked for a statement to be able to get a hardship from my 401k only to be told there was no way but if I waited another month (of non-payment because they couldn't work out a plan with me at that time) I would be issued a "notice of foreclosure letter". 4 months in I still have no letter - they are returning my mortgage payments as they "are not enough" I need to pay the full arrears. Again I ask for a statement to turn into 401k and get nothing; 7 months in I get served court documents that my home is in foreclosure process!

9 months in we've reached a "repayment agreement". I make the first payment, to get a phone call demanding an additional 8000$ BEFORE this repayment plan will be accepted. NOT ONCE was this relayed to me - had I 8000$ (which I would have if they would have sent me information to get to my 401k) my payments would NOT be in arrears. I do not expect my mortgage holder to "cover me" while I was out of work, but I would think they would work with you from the beginning (my car loan did) to assist in repayment. This company seems like a money scheme to me. I am still facing losing my home and still not getting answers from anyone. Any phone call the person answering says they can only see "the notes" "and all seems fine from what I see" but you can never get transferred to someone who can see the entire account!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Kristal: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your frustration with our loan servicing department after your loan was sold to us. I would love the opportunity to look into this for you. If you would like me to, please email me your name and loan number at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net. You may also call me at 858-492-0014. Please note, that I am often in meetings, but will be sure to call you back as soon as I can.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

The hold time is more than 20 minutes every time I call. It offers to give you a call back and then never does. (Tried it more than once, just in case) Then when I finally got a hold of someone, they could not help, did not offer solutions. I asked if I could bring the third party on the line and I was told she could only hold for 1 minute. Brought my client on the line within seconds and then she hung up on him. I have never seen such lack a of professionalism and I work with mortgage companies on a daily basis.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Rosa: My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I am sorry to hear about your frustration trying to get a hold of someone here. I'm not sure what the issue is you are trying to resolve, but I would be happy to try to help if you like. You can contact me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net with your issues and I can investigate your situation for you. You may also call me at 858-492-0014. I am often in meetings, but will call back if I am not at my desk when you call.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I had chosen Guild Mortgage for the house loan as my realtor referred me to this company and it was a big mistake choosing this company. As we were approaching the closing date of Dec 19th 2019, on Dec 16th the company's server crashed. I was told that we won't be able to meet the deadline of Dec 19th closing date and also they had no clue as when the closing date could be met.

I thought that Guild mortgage was a decent company which would have disaster recovery system and load balancing servers in place. I had my apartment till Dec 31st 2019 and as I had no clue of when the closing could happen due to server crash. I had to extend my apartment for another month for which they charged me a lot. I had to bear all the financial loss which happened due to this.

Also, I was recommended by Heyward (loan officer at Guild mortgage) to refinance my car to increase the down payment. At the end, I was told that refinancing my car would not help in down payment and I had to bear another financial loss. The loan officers don't know the process and guide their customers without any knowledge. At the end customer has to take the financial loss.

Why do customers have to bear the financial loss/stress when it was an issue with Guild mortgage server not up and running. I would definitely not recommend Guild mortgage to any of my friends or relatives as they have to go through a lot of financial loss and hardship dealing with them. I had no clue as when we would be able to close due to their server issue which costs me a lot!! Also, I had to wait for 2 hours at closing before the papers could come in with final amounts. I wasn't aware of the amounts till the last moment. Please friends don't rely on Guild Mortgage for any of your loan processing.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Mukul: My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your frustration regarding a delayed closing because of our system outage. If you would like me to look into your situation, please contact me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net with your loan information. You may also call me at 858-492-0014.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Guild Mortgage Co. is the one and only mortgage company we have EVER had a problem with in the purchase of 6 homes from various lenders in our lifetime. When sent proof of our home owner's insurance, every year, Guild starts sending us letters stating that their records indicate that they have not received proof of that insurance. When we call the customer assistance number that they provide, we give them the dates & avenues that the proof was sent (this year it was THREE times) and then they tell me they're sorry but they can't see our records so they can't check for the proof that our insurance has sent them on any of the dates I give them. So, HOW does this assistance assist me? IT DOESN'T. I was given an email address to complain. Period.

The last correspondence I received AFTER sending proof of our home insurance THREE TIMES informed me that Guild has taken it upon themselves to purchase insurance FOR us at OUR EXPENSE! We are leaving for vacation soon and this issue is STILL not resolved after numerous phone calls, emails, and mailings. We are in the process of obtaining a DIFFERENT mortgage company, even if it means that we have to pay a higher percentage rate. THAT is how AWFUL Guild is to work with. DON'T finance with GUILD MORTGAGE COMPANY!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Tami: The VP of Loan Servicing has let me know that your proof of insurance was received and processed yesterday. The process was delayed because of the system outage. I am sorry for any inconvenience this caused you.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I called for a payoff on our mortgage. I was told I had to submit it in writing (with some detailed instructions) by FAX or Email. This was Monday, the 16th. The local Guild office was kind enough to fax the request for us. I was told it would take 72 hours. I called the main office Tuesday to make sure they got our fax and was told that they couldn't check because the computer "system" was down. It is now 5 days later, I've been calling since yesterday and keep being told that the "computer system" is down. I can't believe that in a city like San Diego that someone there can't fix a server issue in a week? This isn't passing the smell test!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Ted: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. Our system was indeed down all last week and our employees worked around the clock to get the system back up and running. I am very sorry to hear that this caused you frustration regarding your payoff request. If your issue has still not been resolved, please do contact me with your loan information at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net or 858-492-0014 so I may investigate your situation further.

Not sure about Guild Mortgage Company?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information