San Diego, CA

3.9/5 (224 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About Guild Mortgage Company

Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage company offering services in 48 states. The company was founded in 1960 and offers every type of mortgage loan, including specialized services for first-time homebuyers and consumers with excellent credit.

Pros

• Programs for first-time buyers
  • Offers every type of mortgage loan

Cons

• Unavailable in NY and NJ

Bottom Line

Guild Mortgage is a mortgage company with more than 60 years of experience. Customers can sign up for a loan program online and work with one of Guild’s loan specialists to find the right mortgage.

Top Guild Mortgage Company Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Our loan process was quick and easy and we were taken great care of. ... We receive regular updates on any changes to our account and our bill is always reflected properly. The we...

Verified

I had to move myself, five large dogs, and five cats as quickly as possible. In less than 3 months I was a first time homeowner thanks to Beth ** and her team with Guild Mortgage ...

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is Guild Mortgage?

Guild Mortgage is a lender that has mortgages for consumers in every phase of life. The company’s loan specialists help homebuyers get the best possible loans by reviewing their personal finances and selecting programs that fit their needs. Some of the mortgage loan options that Guild Mortgage offers include:

• 3-2-1 Home loans
  • Fixed-rate loans
  • Adjustable-rate loans
  • MH Advantage program
  • Down payment assistance

Guild also offers loan programs for current homeowners, including renovation loans, refinance offers and reverse mortgages.

How does Guild Mortgage work?

To get started with Guild Mortgage, visit the company's website or one of its 250 local branches and fill out the loan interest application. You need to provide your name, phone number, email address and ZIP code. Once Guild receives your information, a loan officer contacts you to go over the details of your finances and determine which loan is right for you. Your loan officer guides you through the mortgage process from your application to closing.

Guild Mortgage rates and fees

Guild Mortgage's interest rates vary based on your creditworthiness and other personal factors. While Guild doesn’t publish any of its rates, the average 30-year rate on a fixed-rate mortgage in 2020 has been between 3.3% and 4%. For the lowest possible rate, make sure you apply to different lenders and compare their rates and fees before you commit to a loan.

Guild Mortgage lists common fee amounts on its website, which include the following potential charges:

• Late charge: Varies by amount past due
  • Insufficient funds: $15
  • Speedpay: Varies up to $7
  • Assumption: $300 to $1,800
  • Recording: Varies by county

Be sure to ask your loan representative about all possible fees you incur with your mortgage.

Guild Mortgage FAQ

Is Guild Mortgage a direct lender?
Yes, Guild Mortgage is a direct lender that offers many types of mortgage loans.
Is Guild Mortgage a bank?
No, Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage lender.
Does Guild Mortgage service its loans?
Yes, Guild Mortgage services all loans it originates.

Is Guild Mortgage a good company?

Guild Mortgage is a reputable company that has been serving customers since 1960. It offers comprehensive mortgage services to residents of every state except New York and New Jersey. The company also services its loans, so you don't have to worry about working with a different company for your loan payments. If you’re searching for a mortgage lender with online services and the convenience of a local branch, Guild Mortgage could be right for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Original review: May 16, 2022

I have purchased 5 other homes in my lifetime. We have moved around a lot. Guild Mortgage has been by far the worst company I have worked with. We are now in week six of trying to close my loan. They sent me 3 emails this morning, some from people I have never heard of, telling me they changed my loan type, needed an addendum form and they were changing my closing date from TOMORROW to several days later.

They still six weeks in have no final numbers for me. They originally quoted 20k to close, then 17,500 to close. Their last estimate TODAY, one day prior to closing was 23800!! Very unprofessional team. Not only is there no internal communication, but one would think that a change in loan type and terms would at the very least, warrant an actual phone call versus a bombardment of emails. We also paid an extra $350 to get the appraisal sooner so we could close tomorrow, but that was money wasted and with no offer to credit it back. I have excellent credit and have been treated like a criminal with all the background information I have had to explain. When I filled out the application, one of their questions was...do you currently own any property. I answered no. They have gone back all the way to 2006 and made me explain and answer for nearly every house I owned or rented and state I do not own any portion of them. This is even after I answered their initial question with a NO, I do not own property!

If we were not so far along in this process I would have switched companies and if we don't close Monday, I will take it that this is not the right house and will start over with a different lender. I feel like they have pulled an FBI report and are going through my whole life with a fine tooth comb! This is ridiculous! I understand wanting credible borrowers, but they have had me jumping through hoops for 6 weeks, we still are not closed and I received another phone call asking about a house I owned in 2005 just this morning. My conclusion is RUN!!! STAY FAR AWAY from this company!!!

Original review: March 3, 2022

I do not even want to give them one star! This was the absolute worse experience ever! Cheryl ** is the most incompetent, arrogant person to deal with. My son was purchasing his first house and it was a nightmare from the get go. They would tell him that everything was great and then they would say sorry you don't qualify and then he would get the information they wanted and it would be great and then not. The fees changed, the rate changed, it was a nightmare. This went on for 2 months or more. When I called her to complain the only thing she said to me was "We have a great reputation. And you won't find anyone else that can finance your property." Really??? Guess what, if I have anything to do with it you won't have a great reputation and we DID find someone to finance the property. At a great rate, great loan and the most EXCEPTIONAL Customer Service ever!!! Maybe you should get a page from their book.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Anne. My name's Ryan and I monitor these reviews. I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience. If there's anything I can do to help, like look into your situation or escalate this feedback, please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net with the name of the loan officer (it's removed here).

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

Four years ago Guild was notified I had been awarded the house in a divorce and to remove my ex-wife from the mortgage. They still have not done so. I am sitting here with escrow refund check that cannot be cashed because my ex wife's name is on the check. They did admit they received a copy of the divorce decree four years ago. Glad I refinanced with another company.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Darrel. Do you still need help? I can make sure your request gets to the right person. Let me know if there's anything I can do, please. My email is rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

My husband and I had this company in az. I remember there were problems yrs back but they were eventually corrected. My husband and I moved to a different state. While we are getting settling I'm the only one working so my husband was doing most of the leg work. Since we were prior client Alan claimed he help us "fast track" the loan. Alan never consulted with me on any big changes. My husband and I agreed on money for the house and money for rebuilding our lives. The first five minutes of the first conversation Alan threatened the house we were buying and insulted me. Claiming my past job weren't up to his imaginary standards. Clearly that's upsetting so I told my husband to take the phone.

The last straw was when I got another request for more money to "fast track" the appraisal. I asked Alan ** to call me back. Alan didn't call me. He called my husband four times. Then I had to massage him to call me. Clearly he either hates me or hates women. I said I wasn't going to pay the fast track fee and I wanted an explanation to why they had now claimed all of our savings. He flat out denied knowing about the "fast track" fee. He placed me on hold and oddly that was the only thing he was sorry about. Just not enough to change the price before closing. Funny thing is I never approved the extra $150. P.S. It took almost two months to close this loan and I just one person being considered. ($600 for an appraisal. Yo did you hire Ray **? He missed that giant hole in the house. We found it because of that huge draft. $600 wasted for a criminal.)

12/30 huge hole in a water pipe. Huh missed that on the inspection paperwork. Seems odd too nobody's can find it be the inspector can't. Alan was also advised it might be who of him to list contractors he works with so we didn't just think they were solicitors and junks mail. He abruptly cut me off in that conversation. He's 4000 miles away from where we live, but Alan will rewrite history as if he was standing in the living room with you. He was then annoyed I was sending him my paycheck stubs as requested because he was "no longer" counting my "little weekend job". When we were trying to get our income to debt ratio where it needed to be. I called Alan to see what we needed to pay off. He called my husband but not me. Then denies ever getting the call.

Alan fast track nothing stole all of our savings and for what? You would have thought we were asking for a ** ton of money. With all he put us through $116,000 was the loan amount. Those jobs Alan thought so little of. Well he did his hardest to get me fire. Alan had a letter, paycheck stub and verbal confirmation I worked there. We were going to sign on a Friday. They were blowing up the phone on a half day getting someone to again verify I worked there. They were even harassing me at my job. My boss had take the call on her day off. Idk if this company is just too big or incompetent, but you're double and tripling work because they can just read their own files. They verified my car was paid off twice.

Alan somehow managed to missed the insurance on the house. Our insurance had to call him weeks after we'd signed. He claimed he was sending a survey of how they did, but I didn't get that either. Shocker. I wish we'd listen to the real estate agents out here that advised us to find another lender. I don't care how much work a mortgage company would put me through in the future. I would never work with Alan **, his staff, or his company. You would have thought it was their first ever mortgage. So sad you feel the need to treat people with such contempt. Alan you need to work your anger out in a more constructive way.

I'd like to pay the mortgage in advance, but I don't have a bill or any usable information to pay it with. Another shocker. Good luck file a complaint. Nobody in the company knows anything other than "I'm sorry," verifying who you are, knowing their days off and writing email. They never adhere to their 48 hr policies. Conrad states he's working on it, but you get mad enough and all of a sudden Irene says, "You need to email a complaint. We didn't know about this." Now it the holidays and they can't help even though this started 12/14. I was told I can refinance, but why. How about you clean up you mess. I asked that Alan not contact me on 12/14 that weekend. He sent me several emails like there wasn't a problem.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Youda. I'm sorry to hear that you had a negative experience. If there's anything I can help with, like looking into this further, please email me with your loan number and loan officer name (the last name is removed here). My email is rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I've had my fixed-rate loan with this company for a couple of years. Recently, I was sent a statement demanding that I pay $410 more per month (for twelve months). My taxes and insurance did not go up. When I called to straighten out the matter I was pretty much told that they would not review the case. I had to make 12 phones calls and consult with an attorney in order to get the mistake straightened out. Even then, they (Guild) still wanted me to pay significantly more per month. This is what people refer to as an "escrow nightmare". Keep in mind that my insurance and taxes did not go up and I was never late with a payment. In the end the only solution was to drop escrow because Guild would not admit that their calculations were wrong...DON'T USE THIS COMPANY.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Rebecca. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews. If you'd like me to look into this further or if there's anything I can do to help, please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

We recently moved from NY to SC & were in the process of buying a new home. We were referred by our realtor to Brent ** at Guild Mortgage & it was a horrible experience. He loves to send video messages of himself talking but not addressing any questions we had. My husband was supposed to be on the mortgage & we were told we had stipulations to take care of prior to closing on the house. The stipulations changed but Brent never notified us & we took care of items that didn't need to be done, which was not only an inconvenience & a waste of our time, but also a waste of our financial resources. Then Brent removed my husband as a borrower from the mortgage but didn't communicate this with us. Then 3 days prior to closing, he strong-armed us into signing a closing document that was inaccurate. He gave us his "word" that the document would be revised the next day but 2 days later it wasn't rectified.

I had text messages to him from months ago asking what the closing costs would be & when the costs were different from what he told me months ago, I naturally had questions. However, he didn't have clear or valid answers & is completely untrustworthy. Google dishonest car-salesman & Brent is your man. I would NEVER recommend Brent to anyone in the home-buying process. And since Brent is an employee of Guild Mortgage, I therefore have to steer you clear from Guild also. If this employee is the face of this company, it is an organization you should avoid. With the amount of money we were borrowing from Guild Mortgage, I would have expected better treatment. But clearly we are just another number.

Hi Alexis,

I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience. If there's anything I can do to help, or if you'd like me to escalate this, please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net with the name of this loan officer and your loan number. -Ryan

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I have been trying to contact this company to find out where do I make my second mortgage payment and no one has responded back. I did my closing June 29th 2021. They said at closing make 1st payment to Guild Mortgage but the 2nd payment wait to receive a letter with instructions. Never received it.. So unprofessional .. I've emailed Amy ** the underwriter and no response yet and that was 10 days ago... Run. They don't reach back to customers and this is all new to me..

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hello. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews. If you can please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net with your loan number and the underwriter's name (I'm unable to see it here), I'll try and help sort this out for you.

Original review: April 29, 2021

My husband passed away and I have been trying to work on getting the loan and house in my name. I can not get a phone call back from anyone at this company! I am his legal wife and beneficiary of his will yet they will not talk to me. I am so irritated. I have been dealing with this for 8 months now. I think they are horrible.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Elaine. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews for Guild. I'm sorry if you had a poor experience. If there's anything I can do to help, or if you'd like me to look into your situation further, please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: April 21, 2021

Let me start off by saying that I have had 2 home loans in the past with Guild Mortgage and never have I experienced any discomfort as now. My loan officers in the past were Eva ** and Claire. My past experience was pleasant and that is why I thought about my 3rd loan with Guild Mortgage. I had sent my information to Bonita ** and her assistant Fatima ** back in February. I was told my credit is great and the amount me and my partner would qualify for etc. I emailed Both of them several times for updates. I emailed Bonita on April 10 regarding the details of the different programs that they have available and No response back. My realtor has not been able to get in touch with Bonita. She has left her several messages and emails. Bonita has not responded to me in over a week. My boyfriend who also emailed her for an update after sending her all his personal documents and cannot get a response back from her.

Today I emailed her letting her know that I would be leaving a review and what a surprise she decided to reply. This is very inconsiderate on her behalf. Especially when trying to purchase a home. I'm very disappointed with the outcome and how we have been treated. This should be embarrassing for Guild Mortgage. It’s clear that customer service is not important. I highly believe in valuing your customers your returning customers. Reputation is so important!! I will open a loan somewhere else. Today I would not recommend Guild Mortgage.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Harissa. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews for Guild. I'm sorry if you had a poor experience. If there's anything I can do to help, or if you'd like me to look into your situation further, please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I need to close on my house and needed a signature to be able to fully close. They have made the whole process a living #3/\ for me. Finally, when I get ahold of someone to finally move the process faster they inform me that it will take 6 more days to complete the signing. Which everyday I am paying on my taxes for them. Completely ridiculous. Do not recommend if you are actually do something with your home.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Sara. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews for Guild. I'm sorry if you had a poor experience. If there's anything I can do to help, or if you'd like me to look into your situation further, please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information