2. Mortgages

San Diego, CA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.08/5

Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage company offering services in 48 states. The company was founded in 1960 and offers every type of mortgage loan, including specialized services for first-time homebuyers and consumers with excellent credit.

BOTTOM LINE

Guild Mortgage is a mortgage company with more than 60 years of experience. Customers can sign up for a loan program online and work with one of Guild’s loan specialists to find the right mortgage.

PROS

• Programs for first-time buyers
  • Offers every type of mortgage loan

CONS

• Unavailable in NY and NJ

Top Guild Mortgage Company Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Our loan process was quick and easy and we were taken great care of. ... We receive regular updates on any changes to our account and our bill is always reflected properly. The website interface is simple yet informative and we have never had to wait on an answer for any questions we have had.

I had to move myself, five large dogs, and five cats as quickly as possible. In less than 3 months I was a first time homeowner thanks to Beth ** and her team with Guild Mortgage in Columbia, South Carolina. ... My experience was absolutely positive!

Unsubscribe at any time.

What is Guild Mortgage?

Guild Mortgage is a lender that has mortgages for consumers in every phase of life. The company’s loan specialists help homebuyers get the best possible loans by reviewing their personal finances and selecting programs that fit their needs. Some of the mortgage loan options that Guild Mortgage offers include:

• 3-2-1 Home loans
    • Fixed-rate loans
    • Adjustable-rate loans
    • MH Advantage program
    • Down payment assistance

Guild also offers loan programs for current homeowners, including renovation loans, refinance offers and reverse mortgages.

How does Guild Mortgage work?

To get started with Guild Mortgage, visit the company's website or one of its 250 local branches and fill out the loan interest application. You need to provide your name, phone number, email address and ZIP code. Once Guild receives your information, a loan officer contacts you to go over the details of your finances and determine which loan is right for you. Your loan officer guides you through the mortgage process from your application to closing.

Guild Mortgage rates and fees

Guild Mortgage's interest rates vary based on your creditworthiness and other personal factors. While Guild doesn’t publish any of its rates, the average 30-year rate on a fixed-rate mortgage in 2020 has been between 3.3% and 4%. For the lowest possible rate, make sure you apply to different lenders and compare their rates and fees before you commit to a loan.

Guild Mortgage lists common fee amounts on its website, which include the following potential charges:

• Late charge: Varies by amount past due
    • Insufficient funds: $15
    • Speedpay: Varies up to $7
    • Assumption: $300 to $1,800
    • Recording: Varies by county

Be sure to ask your loan representative about all possible fees you incur with your mortgage.

Guild Mortgage FAQ

Is Guild Mortgage a direct lender?
    Yes, Guild Mortgage is a direct lender that offers many types of mortgage loans.
    Is Guild Mortgage a bank?
    No, Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage lender.
    Does Guild Mortgage service its loans?
    Yes, Guild Mortgage services all loans it originates.

Is Guild Mortgage a good company?

Guild Mortgage is a reputable company that has been serving customers since 1960. It offers comprehensive mortgage services to residents of every state except New York and New Jersey. The company also services its loans, so you don't have to worry about working with a different company for your loan payments. If you’re searching for a mortgage lender with online services and the convenience of a local branch, Guild Mortgage could be right for you.

Guild Mortgage Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Guild made the home buying pretty easy. They were great to deal with and very patient and available for this first-time home buyer. I had previously tried to go thru my bank. That drag out for better than 3 weeks. Guild had me taken care of in 24 hours!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Thank you for the kind words, Melody.

Original review: March 13, 2020

After a change of life event I had to move myself, five large dogs, and five cats as quickly as possible. At the time my credit was not great but I listened to what my loan officer recommended and did these steps according to her expertise. In less than 3 months I was a first time homeowner thanks to Beth ** and her team with Guild Mortgage in Columbia, South Carolina and my amazing real estate agent. My experience was absolutely positive! I will definitely use Guild Mortgage in the future as well. I highly recommend Guild Mortgage due to my great experience.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Wow, what a great success story! Thank you for sharing, Melissa.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: March 1, 2020

They were very good at explaining all the terms and conditions. They even contacted us 6 months later to refinance when the rates went down and walked us all through that. We get emails all the time telling us what the value of our home is at the time and how much equity we have.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Angela. My name is Ryan and I work for Guild Mortgage. I'm happy that you're happy! Thank you for the nice review.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I am shocked to see so many low reviews here! Our loan process was quick and easy and we were taken great care of (props to Troy **). We receive regular updates on any changes to our account and our bill is always reflected properly. The website interface is simple yet informative and we have never had to wait on an answer for any questions we have had. I highly recommend them!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Jonathan: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. Thanks for sharing this great review - I'm happy to know you're having a good experience with us.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

I'm not using them as a buyer but dealing with them as a seller. They just asked for a 3rd extension which will put them at 45 days if they actually follow through. I'm pretty close to just just cancelling and going back on the market. I will definitely think very hard about ever accepting any offers with them as the pre-approval company.

Hi Rigo,

My name is Ryan and I monitor online reviews for Guild. I'm sorry to hear about this, Rigo. If you'd like me to look into this, please send me an email with more information about who you're working with - rwalsh@guildmortgage.net

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Am so happy to have this company, all thanks to God for everything and you, you have been so good to me. Am grateful. I promise to be loyal and faithful to this company, may God continue to bless you all.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Thank you Lilian! This is wonderful to hear.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Storm damage, leaking roof and no it isn't the insurance company that has made my life hell. Unlike most mortgage companies Guild will not send a release of funds so a contractor can be paid. I overnighted the insurance check, paid them an additional $20 money order to overnight the endorsed check back. Only to find out a week later that they only check their mail once a week and only one person can sign off on these checks and this special person is on vacation for another 5 days. So here I am, rain in the forecast and not to mention scheduling a roofing crew is not overnight. Horrible practices, horrible customer service... oh did I mention I have spent almost 2 hours on hold during this entire process? I have been without a job for months due to Covid, I still pay my mortgage. However I cannot pay for a roof deposit and to think Guild will have had this check at least 2 weeks is infuriating.

Hi Kristie,

I'm sorry to hear about what's happening with your roof. I'd like to pass this to the right people at Guild to try and get this figured out for you. Can you please email me with your loan number? rwalsh@guildmortgage.net

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Used this company to finance my current home. The process was smooth and went along smoothly. The mortgage broker was very good and to this day I call her a friend. Sadly she works for another company now.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Thanks for this review, Darrel. I'm glad you had a positive experience with Guild.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

The communication in their office and between customers needs to be worked on. We were 3 going on 4 weeks past closing date. I was told every day during that time that we would be closing “tomorrow“. To get any updates I had to obnoxiously call the loan officers cell because no one would tell me anything from the team line. Our loan officer waited to tell us till 3pm the day we were supposed to close that they were not ready and docs were not going to title on schedule. I had movers scheduled and repairs scheduled to be fixed, utilities were all moved over on that weekend so for me having to cancel in such short notice I was hit with cancellation fees and now have a bill from NV energy company for power I haven’t been using because we closed almost a month later.

I wanted this process to go as fast as possible so whenever my husband and I were asked for documents we had them sent back within 2 hours and then always being told no when I asked if there was anything else we needed to sign or provide, but we were always given more paper 2 weeks later. Most of the time they were the same documents we had already given them. We had to give them one paper 4 times and when I asked what was going on they said they couldn’t except it because the computer didn’t like the date, but my husband's was the exact same and they didn’t have a problem with that one.

What made me most furious about this mortgage company was the lying, holding up closing for docs they have had for weeks, not calling or emailing us or our realtor with updates, and getting our hopes up everyday that we were closing tomorrow. I would have accepted the fact that we weren’t able to close till 4 weeks later if that was what the loan officer would have told us but instead I was told the opposite and had to cancel movers and repairs 3 times before I finally stopped trusting their word. I will never refer this mortgage company to anyone.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Emily. My name is Ryan and I work at the corporate Guild office. I'm sorry to hear about this negative experience. We pride ourselves on good customer service, and what you're describing does not fit this mold. Please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net with your loan number and loan officer name so I can pass this information along. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Resolution response: Aug. 26, 2020

Ryan from Guild worked tirelessly to resolve this issue to our complete satisfaction. Thank you Ryan and Guild correcting this issue so quickly.

Original review: July 29, 2020

We contacted Guild about a payment plan during the COVID pandemic as we did not want to fall behind with payments. Guild agreed to a payment plan and further stated they would not report late payments in any event to credit bureaus. Knowing the importance of staying current with our mortgage payments, my wife and I worked two full time jobs and sacrificed other expenses in order to pay our mortgage during the pandemic. Payments were made on time and the payment plan was followed.

We completed the payment plan the first week of July. Our reward from Guild was to report our account to credit bureaus for being 60 days late. If this is how Guild treats their customers during a global pandemic, when customers are doing everything in their power to pay off their mortgage during a time of unprecedented crisis, even while stating they would not report late payments to credit bureaus, you might imagine how they view their customers during normal times. The response we received from Guild about the negative reporting, which is not factually accurate: "The CARES ACT expired 6/1/20. Therefore, negative reporting began."

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Erik. My name is Ryan Walsh and I work at Guild. I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience. If you'd like me to look into this for you, please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net with your full name and loan number.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information