2. Mortgages

San Diego, CA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.48/5

Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage company offering services in 48 states. The company was founded in 1960 and offers every type of mortgage loan, including specialized services for first-time homebuyers and consumers with excellent credit.

BOTTOM LINE

Guild Mortgage is a mortgage company with more than 60 years of experience. Customers can sign up for a loan program online and work with one of Guild’s loan specialists to find the right mortgage.

PROS

• Programs for first-time buyers
  • Offers every type of mortgage loan

CONS

• Unavailable in NY and NJ

Top Guild Mortgage Company Reviews We Found

Our loan process was quick and easy and we were taken great care of. ... We receive regular updates on any changes to our account and our bill is always reflected properly. The website interface is simple yet informative and we have never had to wait on an answer for any questions we have had.

I had to move myself, five large dogs, and five cats as quickly as possible. In less than 3 months I was a first time homeowner thanks to Beth ** and her team with Guild Mortgage in Columbia, South Carolina. ... My experience was absolutely positive!

What is Guild Mortgage?

Guild Mortgage is a lender that has mortgages for consumers in every phase of life. The company’s loan specialists help homebuyers get the best possible loans by reviewing their personal finances and selecting programs that fit their needs. Some of the mortgage loan options that Guild Mortgage offers include:

• 3-2-1 Home loans
    • Fixed-rate loans
    • Adjustable-rate loans
    • MH Advantage program
    • Down payment assistance

Guild also offers loan programs for current homeowners, including renovation loans, refinance offers and reverse mortgages.

How does Guild Mortgage work?

To get started with Guild Mortgage, visit the company's website or one of its 250 local branches and fill out the loan interest application. You need to provide your name, phone number, email address and ZIP code. Once Guild receives your information, a loan officer contacts you to go over the details of your finances and determine which loan is right for you. Your loan officer guides you through the mortgage process from your application to closing.

Guild Mortgage rates and fees

Guild Mortgage's interest rates vary based on your creditworthiness and other personal factors. While Guild doesn’t publish any of its rates, the average 30-year rate on a fixed-rate mortgage in 2020 has been between 3.3% and 4%. For the lowest possible rate, make sure you apply to different lenders and compare their rates and fees before you commit to a loan.

Guild Mortgage lists common fee amounts on its website, which include the following potential charges:

• Late charge: Varies by amount past due
    • Insufficient funds: $15
    • Speedpay: Varies up to $7
    • Assumption: $300 to $1,800
    • Recording: Varies by county

Be sure to ask your loan representative about all possible fees you incur with your mortgage.

Guild Mortgage FAQ

Is Guild Mortgage a direct lender?
    Yes, Guild Mortgage is a direct lender that offers many types of mortgage loans.
    Is Guild Mortgage a bank?
    No, Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage lender.
    Does Guild Mortgage service its loans?
    Yes, Guild Mortgage services all loans it originates.

Is Guild Mortgage a good company?

Guild Mortgage is a reputable company that has been serving customers since 1960. It offers comprehensive mortgage services to residents of every state except New York and New Jersey. The company also services its loans, so you don't have to worry about working with a different company for your loan payments. If you’re searching for a mortgage lender with online services and the convenience of a local branch, Guild Mortgage could be right for you.

Guild Mortgage Company Reviews

Original review: March 13, 2020

After a change of life event I had to move myself, five large dogs, and five cats as quickly as possible. At the time my credit was not great but I listened to what my loan officer recommended and did these steps according to her expertise. In less than 3 months I was a first time homeowner thanks to Beth ** and her team with Guild Mortgage in Columbia, South Carolina and my amazing real estate agent. My experience was absolutely positive! I will definitely use Guild Mortgage in the future as well. I highly recommend Guild Mortgage due to my great experience.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Wow, what a great success story! Thank you for sharing, Melissa.

Original review: March 1, 2020

They were very good at explaining all the terms and conditions. They even contacted us 6 months later to refinance when the rates went down and walked us all through that. We get emails all the time telling us what the value of our home is at the time and how much equity we have.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Angela. My name is Ryan and I work for Guild Mortgage. I'm happy that you're happy! Thank you for the nice review.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I am shocked to see so many low reviews here! Our loan process was quick and easy and we were taken great care of (props to Troy **). We receive regular updates on any changes to our account and our bill is always reflected properly. The website interface is simple yet informative and we have never had to wait on an answer for any questions we have had. I highly recommend them!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Jonathan: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. Thanks for sharing this great review - I'm happy to know you're having a good experience with us.

Original review: June 24, 2020

From the beginning Guild has provided very little help and flexibility in response to COVID, unlike many other lenders who were proactive and customer focused. And the "updated responses" on the website went from no options, to "We won't report you to credit bureaus for being late", to "You can skip a few payments but they'll all become due in full at the end of those few months" (how, how could that possibly help anyone? ), to "You can apply for hardship assistance and at the end we'll discuss options for repayment" (still unclear if the missed payments will be moved to the end of the loan term... like every single other lender is doing. And with a clear, easy, online, transparent process!). This experience has made me reconsider having Guild as my mortgage lender and I plan on refinancing with my credit union.

Original review: June 18, 2020

I am disappointed with this company, and am sharing my experience. I emailed the loan officer from the Pendleton, OR branch as I am looking to purchase a home in December, I had a few questions and was interested in potentially working with this company. I emailed 3 different companies, this one included. One company (Academy Mortgage Company) got back to me within an hour. The other (Banner Bank) got back to me the following week. This company, did NOT get back to me. It's been over a month. I even tried emailing the loan officer from the Hermiston, OR branch, nothing. Glad to take my business elsewhere, would just like to warn potential customers of their lack of customer service

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Original review: June 16, 2020

I am very dissatisfied with Guild. I called today because the website was not allowing me to make a payment due to a forbearance I was issued because of covid.

I called today and waited on hold for at least 15 minutes. The customer service rep then told me I would have to be transferred to a counselor to make payment. Another 15 minutes and I just gave up. I have called previously three times in regard to other matters and they never return phone calls. When my forbearance was approved I never got a letter confirming this nor advising me of the conditions of said forbearance. The payment option should not be blocked if they can not answer their phones on a timely basis. Very frustrating. Use another mortgage company is possible.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I have received three phone calls for the same exact thing today! I paid my late mortgage payment this morning and have received three different phone calls from three different loan specialists about it all today? I explained to the First Lady who called then to the second guy. Mind you I waited no less than 15 minutes each time to speak to a live person!! I am a truck driver so no problem but you would think the first person would relay the information to the company??

Hi James,

My name is Ryan and I work at Guild. I'm sorry about the frustrating experience. Usually, our customer service team is on top of it! Did you get your matter resolved? If there's anything I can do to help, please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Resolution response: May 29, 2020

We were finally able to get with someone who had authority to reissue a check. Thank you.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Our insurance is escrowed through Guild and was due April 18th. Guild sent a bulk check to insurance company (without tracking) and is telling us it will take Nationwide 60-90 days to process. Meanwhile, Nationwide tells us they cash the payment as soon as it is received. No record of cashing check. Talked to someone at Guild whom stated that they have a 60 day grace period and assures us that insurance will not lapse. I want it in writing to cover ourselves. We will see if that is passed on to us.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Robby. My name is Ryan and I work at Guild. I'm sorry you had a frustrating experience, but I'm glad it was resolved. If there's anything else I can do to help, please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: May 6, 2020

Escondido office in particular. Do not use this company!! Took many many weeks to process and fund a loan. Had to push back close date several times because they couldn't fund a loan. It shouldn't take 6 weeks to process ANY Loan. Aaron ** only made excuses. Could not get anything done.

Hi David,

My name is Ryan and I work for Guild. I am very sorry to hear that you have had this frustrating experience. If you would like for me to look into your situation further, please contact me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net with your application information and the details of who you were working with.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I am very disappointed. After numerous times we had emails back and forward with Christopher ** Mortgage Consultant, we decided to fill up the application. No more than 19 hours later I had to email him back and politely asked him to withdraw our application, because of an emergency situation. We agreed not to proceed further, but a day after me and my husband’s credit score was checked regardless. Be aware, there is no way once you put your personal information to cancel your application confidentially. Of course his excuse was that he "reviewed" my application way before I was asking for withdraw-Big FAT LIE! You can imagine if they cannot respect your privacy, what problems you would have with them further. Not professional at all.

Hi Krema,

My name is Ryan and I work for Guild. I'm sorry to hear you had a poor experience with Christopher. If you'd like me to help you escalate with our complaints team, please email me your information to rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information