Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Mortgages

San Diego, CA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.65/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Established in 1960, Guild Mortgage Company is the leading privately-held mortgage company in the United States. Guild makes home ownership possible.

Guild Mortgage Company Reviews

Original review: March 13, 2020

After a change of life event I had to move myself, five large dogs, and five cats as quickly as possible. At the time my credit was not great but I listened to what my loan officer recommended and did these steps according to her expertise. In less than 3 months I was a first time homeowner thanks to Beth ** and her team with Guild Mortgage in Columbia, South Carolina and my amazing real estate agent. My experience was absolutely positive! I will definitely use Guild Mortgage in the future as well. I highly recommend Guild Mortgage due to my great experience.

Original review: March 1, 2020

They were very good at explaining all the terms and conditions. They even contacted us 6 months later to refinance when the rates went down and walked us all through that. We get emails all the time telling us what the value of our home is at the time and how much equity we have.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I am shocked to see so many low reviews here! Our loan process was quick and easy and we were taken great care of (props to Troy **). We receive regular updates on any changes to our account and our bill is always reflected properly. The website interface is simple yet informative and we have never had to wait on an answer for any questions we have had. I highly recommend them!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Jonathan: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. Thanks for sharing this great review - I'm happy to know you're having a good experience with us.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Ken ** has gone above and beyond to make sure I get what’s best for my situation! He is always available and explains things to me since this is my first time buying a home! If anyone is looking for the best lender KEN ** is the person to go to! Thank you Ken for all your hard work and patience with me!

Original review: March 26, 2020

I’m very disappointed in how this company is handling the hardships Covid-19 is causing many people. My husband was laid off during this time period and will be until possible May. I called to see if they had any options for people directly affected by COVID-19 like many other companies do at this time. Their options was to be able to pay April in May but you still have to pay make May payment on time. I’m confused on how they think that is helpful when you then have to make a double payment in May.

Most other mortgage companies offered to let you skip a payment and add it to the end of your loan which is very useful to give people a break during this difficult time. I’m very disappointed in how this company is handling the hardship COVID-19 is causing many people. It truly feels like they could care less. I will never again use this company when buying a different home in the future. They have truly shown they have no sympathy when most of America is all in a financial hardship. It would not hurt them to move one payment to the end of a loan to help people out at this difficult time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Original review: March 6, 2020

Guild is an absolutely terrible company to work with. I switched banks back in December and tried to update my autopay on my guild mortgage multiple times. I tried to set it up online several times, but their system was down. I called multiple times over the course of that week - their system was down and their reps also couldn’t help me set up autopay. I had no way to set it up online or over the phone.

The next month I got a notice from my credit report that I was hit with a delinquency from guild mortgage. I called them trying to explain the error and system outage that caused the issue - they said their system being down wasn’t their problem, it was my problem, and as a result my credit score went down 78 points. Horrible company. Bad customer service. Terrible technology. I will he refinancing away from Guild as soon as possible.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I will NEVER use Guild Mortgage again. We did obtain a loan on a fourplex in Las Vegas. The problem was, Guild caused us to miss our closing date for a 1031 tax differed exchange because they kept asking for more financial and credit report information. Then they LIED saying we could use the recording date instead of the signing date of the relinquished property. They immediately sold our mortgage to another loan service company. Don't use Guild Mortgage.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

So I recently wrote in the complaint section on Guild Mortgage’s website about the fact that they financed a property without a certificate of occupancy against FHA regulations. The house was renovated (adding 1000 sq ft) and required a CO per city code. Guild mortgage financed the house without verifying the certificate of occupancy and appraised the value of the house at least four times over true value. Now I’m facing an order to vacate from the city on a house that needs 190k worth of work for me to be able to live in and a 259k mortgage to go with it. I have yet to receive the proper response from Guild Mortgage and they continue to bounce me around. Nobody seems to handle those complaints.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I was 2 months late on my mortgage. I sent in 1 payment and the 2nd payment 4 days later. 1 week later I received a letter stating they can't accept my payment until they have both payments at the same time. News flash you had both payments. So now what?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Mortgage was sold to Guild - their statements never line up with payments made. Was in an accident and couldn't work, tried working out a plan with them; never received contact back. 2 months in was called I was in arrears; I asked for a statement to be able to get a hardship from my 401k only to be told there was no way but if I waited another month (of non-payment because they couldn't work out a plan with me at that time) I would be issued a "notice of foreclosure letter". 4 months in I still have no letter - they are returning my mortgage payments as they "are not enough" I need to pay the full arrears. Again I ask for a statement to turn into 401k and get nothing; 7 months in I get served court documents that my home is in foreclosure process!

9 months in we've reached a "repayment agreement". I make the first payment, to get a phone call demanding an additional 8000$ BEFORE this repayment plan will be accepted. NOT ONCE was this relayed to me - had I 8000$ (which I would have if they would have sent me information to get to my 401k) my payments would NOT be in arrears. I do not expect my mortgage holder to "cover me" while I was out of work, but I would think they would work with you from the beginning (my car loan did) to assist in repayment. This company seems like a money scheme to me. I am still facing losing my home and still not getting answers from anyone. Any phone call the person answering says they can only see "the notes" "and all seems fine from what I see" but you can never get transferred to someone who can see the entire account!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Kristal: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your frustration with our loan servicing department after your loan was sold to us. I would love the opportunity to look into this for you. If you would like me to, please email me your name and loan number at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net. You may also call me at 858-492-0014. Please note, that I am often in meetings, but will be sure to call you back as soon as I can.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information