1.63/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

San Diego, CA

Established in 1960, Guild Mortgage Company is the leading privately-held mortgage company in the United States. Guild makes home ownership possible.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

113 Guild Mortgage Company Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 3, 2019

Ken ** has gone above and beyond to make sure I get what’s best for my situation! He is always available and explains things to me since this is my first time buying a home! If anyone is looking for the best lender KEN ** is the person to go to! Thank you Ken for all your hard work and patience with me!

Original review: March 27, 2019

Supportive, Communicative, Knowledgeable. This team is a dream to work with. The documents are able to be signed by cell phone, or by laptop and navigation is easy. This is so underrated for us working people who don't have a home printer, and don't have time to find one. They are available for questions even after hours, I was blown away. No question is ignorant or ignored. They always give you the truth and your options. Customer service is key when making a huge decision like buying a home especially when the contract fails or has issues. We had an issue with our contract and they were very supportive, even in our disappointment. I can't say enough about this team of professionals.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My husband and I worked with Roberto ** of Guild Mortgage in Tucson, Arizona on our recent home purchase. Mr. ** and his highly qualified team kept us in the loop every step of the way. They were in constant communication with us. There were no surprises. They made us feel like they truly cared about us as people, not just as clients. Everything went smoothly and seamlessly. We are so happy, and have no doubt that we made the right choice going with Guild Mortgage! We highly recommend!

Resolution response: Nov. 6, 2018

Johnny and Melissa were great too!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Alisha ** and Guild Mortgage in San Diego was such a great person to work with from beginning to end! She was such an utmost professional, but also made us feel like family. We felt welcomed by Alisha right away. Her knowledge on the subject-matter really helped us as first-time home-buyers when we had any questions and she was there to answer us at any time. We loved working with Alisha and Guild Mortgage and would definitely work with them again!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I've purchased several homes in the past but this transaction with Guild was by far the easiest and smoothest to date. My loan officer and her team made this as stress-free as possible for me and my family from the very beginning. The process was a little challenging because we were moving from out of state and most of the work had to be done over the phone/internet. Although we have bought several homes this was our first in North Carolina so the extra guidance they were able to give us was very much appreciated. My kids love our new home and my husband and I love how simple it was to get to the closing table. When we are ready to refinance I will absolutely give Guild a call.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Selling a home to buyers going through Guild Mortgage in Fort Worth TX. Have been trying to close for the last 4 weeks. Have a house to buy which is contingent on this house selling which we were told would close July 3rd. Today is August 2 and still waiting on a closing date. This is the last extension for us to buy our house and still no word from Guild Mortgage. The buyers were told it was going to close on July 19th so they moved from California to TX now with nowhere to go. We are letting them lease the house, but for how long??? Keep getting the runaround . No one cares at this place from the underwriters to the lenders. Truly an upsetting experience for my 82 year mother the seller. The contract was signed May 10th, the contract with the real estate company expired August 1st as has the contract with the buyers.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Dawn: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your frustrating selling experience. If you would like me to look into this situation further for you, please contact me with more information at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: July 29, 2019

While our experience with securing a loan was good, our experience with this company after suffering a flood to our home has been awful! Our basement flooded in April. It's July and Guild will not release the funds necessary to pay our service providers. They've lost (claimed to have never received) authorizations sent via email AND fax. They've lost (claimed to have never received) the adjusters report that was over-nighted along with the check from our insurance company. Somehow they received the check but not the adjuster's report that was in the same envelope.

The customer service reps are rude and nasty. They are there to collect a paycheck, not help you during one of the most devastating times of your life. No empathy whatsoever. They simply don't care. Buyer beware when obtaining a Guild mortgage. Front end customer service from the broker was great. But back end service will leave you frustrated and defeated with repair bills piling up because they lose paperwork, and keep the insurance check for a ridiculously long amount of time. My claims adjuster was floored that we still hadn't received funds after almost 4 months.

Hi Amanda:

My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your basement flooding and about the frustrating experience you're having with our Loan Servicing department. If you would like me to escalate your concerns, please contact me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net with your loan information and I will handle it right away.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: July 25, 2019

First time using Guild Mortgage. At first I thought they were great. My husband and I have been with Guild for almost 2 years now and they are HORRIBLE!!!! We will NEVER work with Guild ever again and I don’t recommend them to anyone. We’ve been having issues with this company since 2/2019 when we received our new 2019 statement. Our mortgage was going up $350! Talked to them and they said something wasn’t right. Apparently can’t figure this matter out now for over five months now.

We aren’t required to have Flood Insurance but that hasn’t stopped Guild to take that out of our mortgage payment even though I paid out of pocket for Flood Insurance. Then, they calculated the wrong insurance amount which we had to pay an extra $966 to fix their mistake. Now months later, we’re waiting for checks to come in the mail and our mortgage payment to be adjusted. I’ve tried to contact people for weeks now. No one answers or calls me back. WHAT A JOKE!!!

Hi Katie:

My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your issues regarding insurance and your mortgage payment. If you would like for me to look into this for you and have someone contact you, please email me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net with your information.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: July 24, 2019

My husband and I were in the market for a VA cash-out refinance. We had been shopping around. When I received an email from Guild Mortgage requesting I contact their offices since this is my current lender. We did contact them assuming that the process might be easier working with the company that has our existing mortgage. Was I wrong! Initially when I completed my application online I had to reach out to Kim ** myself since it took her so long to contact me. I was thrown off because she answered the phone with a simple “hello” no acknowledgement of the company she worked for. I assumed I had called the wrong number! Fast forward we have turned in all required documents after it took her assistant Heather 3-4 days to even email them to us. We signed our disclosures and the appraiser had just left our home no more than an hour ago.

When my husband receives a call from Kim reporting “I have a little bad news.” She made us aware that she was unable to move forward with the refinance because there was a over 30 day late payment on a credit card from Feb. 2019 and we could not resume the process until March 2020. This baffled my husband and myself since pulling our credit report was the first thing Kim did. How was she or the underwriter just now finding this out over 2 weeks later? To make matters worse she goes on to lie stating that this is a new VA requirement just released within the last 3-4 days. However I am aware of the guidelines and stipulations of a VA cash out refinance because I did my research prior!

I called and spoke with the home loan division with the VA who reported this could be resolved simply with a letter of clarification. That the missed/late payment verbiage in the guidelines spoke to mortgage payments and even then you could be approved with 1 missed payment. We have never missed or been late on a payment since obtaining our mortgage. I was also advised that Guild may have a stricter overlay that prevented moving forward.

However, Kim herself denied that. So again what is the real reason we weren’t able to move forward since clearly we were given misleading information!? I asked via phone and decided to follow up by email. As Kim reported within the last “few days 3-4” the VA had updated their requirements. And send me a snip of an email that she said the VA underwriters replied to her underwriter. This snippet was clearly from the Feb 2019 circular and I had read it numerous times. Nowhere does it mention the reason furnished to my husband and myself as a disqualifying factor.

You can check online yourself and see that it’s public knowledge. No circulars regarding cash out refinance have been released since February this year. VA also denied knowledge of this! And every other lender I contacted also knew nothing of this new information that only Kim and Guild Mortgage seemed to obtain from the VA as directive to end our refinance process.

After me questioning the validity of her statements this is when she began to not answer my calls but would respond almost immediately via email not even bothering to type in complete sentences. When asked if a copy of the appraisal would be released to my husband and myself she replied “I don’t know what you mean by released.” I replied asking if we could obtain a copy of the appraisal since my prior question seemed to dumbfound her. Her response, “you can if you pay for it”.

My last communications with her were to say thank you for being so helpful and professional. I sincerely hope that she could sense the sarcasm in that email since she fell entirely short of being even somewhat professional in her delivery or written communication. Gladly, this must have simply been a blessing I disguise as we contacted the company that originally gave us financing for our mortgage and also sold it subsequently afterwards to Guild. We are now set to close in a few days with Towne Bank. I have always had positive experiences with Guild mortgage prior to this. However; Kim, Heather, and her team need serious customer service training as well as being taught the importance of being honest and upfront with the customer and not making up fabrications assuming that I was unaware of the current established guidelines.

Hi Natarsha:

My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. I'm sorry to hear about the slow customer service you've been receiving from one of our branches. If you would like me to look into this situation for you, please contact me with your information.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: April 27, 2019

Where do I begin. When my husband and I started this process we were in perfect credit position to do this. We left a lender to go with Guild based off our Realtor's suggestion. It was a mistake. STAY AWAY FROM THIS LENDER. The loan officer goes on vacation in the middle of processing our file and when she comes back all the documents we sent while she was out she asked for them all over again. In the mean time over 35 inquiries between my husband and I and they printed this didn't affect us. We sent letters they asked for and a week before closing they stop us and say an open dispute needed to be close. The pan officer swears she never mentioned this to us. They rescored us and our scores had dropped almost 70 points from the time we started. These people had us pay for inspections for the deal to fall through in the end. They took too long with our file. We gave them everything that asked for and more.

We have to build up our credit again and try again next year. Not all lenders use a third party service. This takes too long and drives down your score. Do your research and have a lender in mind. that way you're not easily swayed. Guild is not taking any responsibility for losing documents and taking forever to process and get our verifications done. We are heartbroken and they don't care at all.

Hi Deshea:

My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. I am sorry I did not see your review until now. I am also sorry to hear about the customer service you received from one of our branches. If you would like me to look into this situation for you, I would be happy to do so. Please contact me with your information.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information