Guild Mortgage Company

San Diego, CA

Established in 1960, Guild Mortgage Company is the leading privately-held mortgage company in the United States. Guild makes home ownership possible.

Compare Mortgage Companies

Research top Mortgage Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Processed our mortgage through Guild and had a horrible experience. They delayed the closing of our house several times and repeatedly asked us to resubmit paperwork. Since closing, contacting them about my mortgage has been a nightmare. Repeatedly long hold times and no call back after leaving multiple messages. If I could do it over again, I would go with a different company.

I was referred to this company by a realtor after my husband died. I refinanced with them, it had been years of miscommunication, inept and incompetent people seem to work there. I'm trying to pay off my mortgage but my prepayments have been returned to me and I somehow end up in late payments! Any advice on how to get away from this company would be appreciated.

They have delayed the closing on a house we are selling several times. Never have all the documents they needed. Delay of closing because buyer is "waiting for money to be placed into her account". Never have had this happen. Would not recommend them to anyone in San Angelo, Texas.

I had to come here to give a review because most reviews are left by angry people. It's hard not to get blindsided when you're looking for a good company to do business with and no one ever tells the success stories. I created an account just to leave this review because I wanted the world to know about my experience with Guild.

Being a first-time home buyer, I was recommended to Guild by a real estate agent who in turn was recommended by a co-worker. I called Jeff ** and he hit the ground running. At that time I thought I was ready to buy a home, but I was wrong. Jeff held my hand and prepared me for the mortgage lender. He helped identify potential issues in my credit and places where I needed work. We worked together for 6 months until my credit was in a good place, and he pre-approved me for the loan and introduced me to Amanda **, who introduced herself and said, "We're going to be best friends until we get you in a home!" She wasn't kidding. We called and texted each other several times a day. She answered questions at 11 pm on Saturday nights and 2 pm on Sunday afternoons. It felt like she never left my side and was there even more than my real estate agent.

By the time I was in processing and underwriting, Amanda (my loan officer) was still there not missing a beat. At times it seemed like the loan had challenges but she always found ways to clear things up. The communication was outstanding! My loan was closed in 30 days and the only reason it took that long were from delays on MY part. My loan officer was actually at my closing and still continued to communicate by sending me details about my new mortgage payments. My experience with Guild was amazing to the point where I think the team sent to work on my loan were divine! Thanks again to the team at Guild Mortgage in Cumming, GA!

If you need your sanity for life do not choose Guild Mortgage for your loan!!! The company we were originally dealing with changed to Guild in the middle of closing on our home, we had to turn everything back in to them as if we were new customers qualifying for a home. They never answers the phone. Nobody will ever give you honest answers. They will string you along to make you think everything is ok but in actually they are plotting a way to decline your loan. We were dealing with them for 2 months before we had to show up in the area manager's office only to say their underwriters couldn't approve our loan. If you disregard this review of them as I did you will regret it!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

We purchased a home through Guild in March of 2016. Everything was going great until I lost my job and we went from being a 2 income household to a 1. Not only that but we experienced some pretty huge hardships that left us basically penniless. Guild helped us get through by offering flexible payment options and plans. I would recommend them to anyone!!!

We sold our house to well qualified buyers who are using Guild Mortgage. Today, we missed our 5th scheduled closing date because of Guild Mortgage. Guild has come up with excuse after excuse for delaying the closing. It's now been more than 3 months since we accepted the offer on our house. Today was our 5th scheduled closing date, and we were assured by the regional manager at Guild that there was no reason we would miss this one yet here we are.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have a pre-approval letter from Guild, it is not worth the paper it is written on. I will never again sell a house to someone using Guild Mortgage, and I'm sure it goes without saying, I will never ever use them to finance a home. They have cause me, and several others many sleepless nights. They have hurt my credibility with the people I'm buying my new house from, because I can't close on my new house until this house closes. They have hurt me financially. Never again!!!

My experience with Guild began ok, the process was ok. The staff were ok at the beginning. Soon after the nightmare began. Trying to make a payment was like picking needles out of a haystack. You're on hold forever. Let me back this up. The online payment system is a joke and I don't trust these people so I like talking to a human.

I read one of the reviews that said they didn't know why Guild had so many bad reviews. They had no problems. Well like I said in the beginning they were ok. Just wait. You will see the real Guild reveal itself. I did have some reservation about GUILD in the beginning but I chose to ignore because my lease was up and I needed a home. Red flag: My broker changed companies right in the middle of us searching for a home. I owned two homes and never experienced such foolishness. This is a warning. If you're looking for a mortgage company, beware of Guild Mortgage Company. They will make your life a living hell.

Joe ** was able to get me a loan when no one else could. Not only that, but he and his company were very fair. I am a Veteran with NO credit. He got me the loan at a good interest rate and was also more than fair in the charges for the loan. I live in AZ and bought a property in Tucson. My realtor referred me to Joe and told me that if Joe said he could do it then he could. AND HE DID! The staff was easy to work with... nice and friendly. I don't know why the company has such bad reviews because my experience was very positive and I got my home! Joe even came to the closing and bought me some candy and gifts... very nice man!

This company does not even deserve a one star rating. They deserve a zero rating. We purchased our house this last January, they totally ignored the Appraiser's report. If not for my own due diligence we would not have closed on time. Their local office and their home office DO NOT COMMUNICATE!!! Case-in-point, after several months we were and are getting a mountain of offers to refi our VA loan using an Interest Rate Reduction Loan, to be fair we gave Guild the opportunity to compete for our business. They asked us what we wanted and we told them a lower interest rate, smaller payments, and no payments for two months. They promised a better deal so we went with Guild. Their better deal was a rate reduction from 4% to 3.5%, but after all of their fees our payment was reduced by $175.

They promised no payment for two months, but their home office demanded we make our August 2016 payment, our local office in Lakewood, Colorado told us NOT to make the August payment. Their home office told us regardless of the local office and their assurances, if we didn't make the payment they'd put us in default. So we made the payment. Once we closed on the refi, we were informed we would NOT be getting two months, no payments. We'd only be getting one month.

When we explained to our local office what the home office demanded, they told us "Too bad. So sad." They played us from both ends. When I recontacted the home office, they reaffirmed their earlier demand for payment. They both told me they DO NOT COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER! How insane is that? DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS SLIMEY COMPANY! Shop around, do your due diligence and research potential companies. Check with mortgage regulators, BBB, and Customer reviews and Consumer Agencies. Also write down everyone you talk to, record dates and times and get everything in writing.

Please if you are a single mom or first time home owner do not go to this company. THEY LIE, give you false hope, and completely leave you even more in debt than you begun with. My daughters and I are now almost homeless because two weeks until we closed, things changed, and they dropped the ball. They screwed up and we suffer the repercussions. We paid for an inspection, surveying, transferred utilities over and packed our home with 30 day notice to previous landlord and 2 weeks before closing we were all of a sudden no longer approved. Even with an immaculate co-signer they did not offer any help in other loans or services and just left us hanging. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY...This one is located in Longview, Texas. Sincerely - broken hearted broken pocketed single mother.

I won't go into the lengthy experience but I will definitely warn others to beware of this company. Every person we dealt with was unprofessional and unqualified. Over 60 days to close FHA loan? The whole process was unorganized and we had a total of 6 closing dates that the loan officer, Samuel **, failed to meet. We eventually closed but with unnecessary headache. This company is ran more like a bank than a mortgage company with their closings. Horrible experience!

I applied for a loan on their website on a Sunday. I never received any phone calls or emails from them all week. On Saturday I received the letter with my credit score and explanations they are required to send when they pull your credit. Nothing else. “No, Thanks for applying but sorry,” or “You can get this much mortgage.” Very poor customer service. If this is how they treat applicants I hate to see how they are with account holders. I will be using a different mortgage company.

Frankly, Tom ** with Guild Mortgage is dishonest. Recommendation: avoid. This is a guy who doesn't realize or perhaps care that his influence over the purchase of your home can have a lasting impact on you and your family. He is untrustworthy and lacks scruples. Perhaps my dealings with him were when the finance industry was more poorly regulated, but given the chance he will mislead you, not find loans that are ideal for you but sure to maximize his reward, and surprise you at the loan closing table with a host of unpleasant surprises. Also, if he was recommended to you by your realtor, it would be a good idea to dump both of them and find someone new to help you find a home. Good luck!

I was contacted by Guild regarding refinancing my home at a lower interest rate about 2 months ago. Considering that when I bought my home it was financed through Guild but sold to a bank I was all for it. The original dealings with them was not perfect but not horrible. I was lead to believe that I would end up with about 1,400 in my pocket when I told them I did not want any out of pocket expenses. I am single so finances stay tight. I was supposed to close on June 27th with my first payment being on Aug 1. Then it got moved to June 30 then to July 1... I have to pay almost as much as my house payment with my first payment being due on Sept 1. I drove the 45 mins to meet with the notary leaving work early to make the appt time. I received a call from the notary stating he had not received the closing docs yet.

As soon as I could I sent an email asking what was going on. Guild dropped the ball for the third time!!! No signing was happening so at this point I have no clue when we are closing, how much I need for out of pocket or if I can even enjoy my 4th of July weekend since I have no clue how much spending money I might have. Mind you when I mentioned that I was not happy with what it is costing I was informed they were incurring most of the cost. Bull!!! They tack it onto your loan!!! Very very disappointed and angry that they have no respect for playing with people's time or finances.

Ron and team made sure to close in 30 days and made it easy. I can't recommend them high enough.

0 communication. Always has an excuse why communication could not be established. Called corporate to have them check on lender to make sure they were still alive. That's how bad the communication was. Not very organized. Buying a house is a nightmare because people like this make it that way. It really does not have to be this bad but when lenders and real estate agents cant communicate it's a nightmare. I would no recommend them. I only used them cause a friend recommended them. Horrible communication and I'm still not done yet, we close hopefully in 4 days. If the lender does not communicate with me we may lose the house altogether and then I would have to ask for money back from Guild, and if they refused I'd have to sue them for the money. Stay away from Guild, they will only make buying a house more miserable than it should be.

Guild Mortgage Savannah Office - It was a discouraging experience as a first time buyer using this mortgage broker. As a potential first time buyer I made it clear to the broker working my loan application that I was interested in the Georgia Dream down payment assistance program. I emailed her consistently asking about our eligibility. She told me we were not eligible due my credit score not being high enough, but she can rapid re-score and let me know what I need to do. I told her in an email, that if I was not eligible for down payment assistance at this time then I will wait until my score meets the minimum. She assured me everything will be fine. This went on for a while, when I asked again about the down payment assistance, she told me that I was ineligible due the household income limit was 59000.00 (this is for a household of two).

I explained to her there were five people in my home. She got the names and ages of my other children. I kept insisting that if we were not eligible for down payment assistance, then I will wait. She told me everything with be fine. When informed her that I lost a source of income, she did not say that she could not do the loan. She said she had to reconfigure it. She told me everything looked good, even quoted a payment of 828.30 on 3/11. I forwarded the broker a home insurance quote I received from Allstate with a lower rate as she requested. I sent emails thereafter requesting application status. She either opened my emails and did not respond (from my work email I can tell when a message is read) or she responded with "I will get back to you."

The letter she sent to the real estate agent and seller gave the impression that in spite of my losing a source of income, that she is working to close the deal, the letter did say specifically that she could not make it work. In the end, I lost my earnest money and money spent for the housing/termite inspection, a total of 790.00. My suggestion for anyone wanting to buy a house utilizing the down payment assistance program will be to apply for the program first to see if you qualify, then contact a mortgage broker and if you do not meet the minimum credit score, wait until you do or you could be on the losing end as I was.

I am Realtor in Las Vegas and was introduced to the loan officer Nick through my coworker. I suggested to my client that he work with Guild. 5 MONTHS AGO was when the nightmare began and my client and I are still dealing with their nonsense daily. I have had to extend the contract 5 times to allow for them to complete paperwork and 1 week out from close they still do not have Underwriter approval. Client’s earnest money at risk and no one there seems to care or show any sense of urgency. Nick's boss is his cousin so no accountability there and their boss Stacie keeps deferring contact and sending me and my client back to Nick who for whatever reason is unable to hold anyone accountable or be accountable. I have been in the Real Estate business for over 7 years and have never witnessed a circus like this. If you want your loan to close and want a low stress experience run for your life if anyone suggests using Guild. Never again!!!

These people should not be allowed to be in business. Ridiculous, unorganized, repeated and redundant requests for nonsense. No sense of deadlines or any sense of urgency. And, the real deal killer is that they act offended when you express dissatisfaction with their non-existent service and ludicrous excuses for failure to perform. Apparently they think their behaviors are acceptable. Unfortunately the only reason anyone would continue with their sham is because they are so far in... That there is no way out other than to try and close the deal. GUILD = STRESS + DISAPPOINTMENT and that is way too kind. Nightmare.

I was pre-approved for a loan - I actually found a house I was interested in and we set a date to close for the end of June. Because my loan officer wasn't getting paid she put our loan on the back burner. Needless to say we had to extend the closing date several times, now the seller is asking for more money to extend it one last time and we still do not have a clear to close. Our application has been to underwriting three times and they have all the paperwork that was requested. Before we give up any more money we would like to know that we will be able to close but the loan officer cannot give us a direct yes or no. We have decided to just cut our losses because it's just too stressful dealing with someone who has a very bad attitude.

I applied for an FHA loan out of the box on/about jun 8th, 2015. Immediately the broker had my credit report (because I brought a current one and disclosed all, including 2 short sales from 3+ years ago). Even so, the broker said the FHA loan would be "no problem" with my salary and my credit report, as long as we got a certain minimum score, which we did. He set the settlement date at July 10, knowing my new job start date was July 20. Beginning July 6th, furniture on truck, me just pulling away from east coast of US, I am told settlement needs to be moved to July 17 because "paperwork is needed". I am dumbfounded!! What paper? I have sent everything that was asked. Now someone else is asking for things that I offered the other broker and was told wasn't needed, plus things I already sent.

My furniture has to go into storage for 4 days and be re-delivered costing me additional $4000.00 because it was insured, so needed to keep it with that company to keep the insurance intact until I received it. Then, on July 13th, broker tells me they need to have the "first 2 PAYCHECKS FROM MY NEW JOB!! THIS IS STANDARD FOR FHA WITH SHORTSALES IN CREDIT HISTORY!!!" Homeowner wasn't willing to wait another 3 weeks for me to get those stubs. I had an employment contract in addition to the employment letter, but that wasn't good enough.

I lost the earnest $$$ of over $2500.00 plus $500.00 home inspection they told me I had to pay, plus $100.00 pool inspection. I WOULD HAVE NEVER GIVEN AN EARNEST DEP. IF THE BROKER KNEW THEIR BUSINESS AND HAD TOLD ME ABOUT THE PAYCHECK STUB REQUIREMENT, WHICH WAS SUPPOSEDLY STANDARD, SINCE I (AND THEY) KNEW MY WORK START DATE!!! I believe I was set up purposely just to get whatever commission they received on my earnest deposit and whatever fees they took!!! Now I am in a 2-year lease, paying at least 300-400 more each month in rent, plus my realtor received a commission on finding me this rental, as well!!! I am out all of that $$$ with no recourse!!! I called a couple of lawyers, but no return calls.

I made contact with Mortgage broker Kelli ** on 1/28/15 regarding purchasing a home. I forwarded her all necessary documents for her to pre-approve me for a home loan. She advised me I was pre-approved for $120,000 home loan. I went under contract for a home in March of 2015. However, when the seller attempted to verify my loan approval, she was advised Ms. ** was no longer employed with the company. Ms. ** was previously employed with Primary Residential Mortgage which I initially started the home buying process. She went to Guild Mortgage and did not notify me of the change which in turn caused me to lose the home I was under contract for. I contacted Ms. ** about the discrepancy and she was very apologetic for not informing me of the change.

On April 21, 2015, I went under contract for another home. My realtor, Tasha ** forwarded the contract to Ms. ** the same day it was signed. Ms. ** never contacted me. I emailed her on 4/30/15 requesting a GFE for the home. I was scheduled to close on May 21. Ms. ** sent me my disclosures and GFE on May 22, 2015. She informed me she would need more time to complete my loan. I made several attempts via email and phone calls to contact Ms. ** over several days and she would never return my calls. I finally contacted her manager, Craig **. He advised me he would speak with Ms. ** regarding her lack of communication with me. Ms. ** returned my phone call after a week of trying to reach her. She informed me her husband had been sick which is why she had not completed my loan.

Since my loan was not completed within the allotted time frame outlined by my contract, the seller declined to extend the contract and I lost my earnest money, inspection fee and appraisal fee. Ms. ** made also made an offensive recommendation to me during a phone call. She asked me if I received public assistance. When I informed her I didn't, she proceeded to tell me I should apply for food stamp assistance to help with the cost associated with owning a home. Ms. ** was very unprofessional with the handling of my loan; which caused me to lose $2,000. She did not explain the process to me clearly and was horrible with returning phone calls and emails. I emailed the president of Guild Mortgage along with the regional manager; yet I have not heard back. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!!!!

We were promised a rate and a loan and 7 days before closing and furniture on the way, we were told we couldn't have the rate and had to gone up with 26000 and had to pay PMI. We were stuck in a box. We couldn't go anywhere else on time to close and now we pay 220 more a month and a point higher than we were told. We want away from this company asap.

My husband and went to Guild Mortgage in Meridian for a new construction home loan. We are completely disappointed with the outcome of our loan as well as the communication. I am not one to write a negative review like this, but we will NEVER do business with them again nor would we refer a friend or family member to them. We had met with our lender Amy a couple weeks before our closing and went over the numbers. We had our payment and everything in front of us as well as our rate locked in. Her exact words out of her mouth are, "Everything is set and ready to go. You can now sleep at night."

When it came down to the closing day, we were in the middle of signing our papers and it showed our monthly payment was $34 higher than what it was suppose to be. I get $5, $10, even $15 more than expected, but we are talking an additional $34 a month. The final numbers had been done for months. There was no reason at all to be off that much. We totally understand that the taxes on a new home can be tricky to estimate, but we are talking about $12,200 more than expected in our 30-year loan.

When I looked at the numbers, I informed her that was not the number we had been given in all of our prior meetings. She began to tell us it was because of the taxes. It sure would have been nice to know ahead of time. NOT THE DAY OF OUR SIGNING!!! The lack of communication and the lack of heart when she realized how upset we were was really disappointing. Needless to say, the outcome was not what we had hoped for.

We have 800+ credit rating, and were pre-approved for 400k, and an extended close. They came to the closing date not having the paperwork in order. We had do an addendum to extend the closing date. Their rates are only average, and its service terrible.

All of the people involved were pleasant and nice. However, they kept asking us for the same information over and over again. Then they kept asking for different information piecemeal. It was very disorganized and stressful. We were so annoyed that we arranged to pay off the mortgage about a month later and that process was just as bad as opening the original loan. They took forever to acknowledge our payment and remove the lien from our deed! The people were nice and they did respond to communications but their process was complete and total torture. I would not recommend them which is sad because I did like the people.

We applied with Guild after recommended by a Realtor. We disclosed everything from the recent past. 3 years ago-discharged bankruptcy, a foreclosure on a home that was discharged in the BK. After some discussion on eligibility we applied for the back to work FHA program. We supplied EVERY document requested! We were told in April, in writing by the Sales Manager, we were approved for a 97/3 conventional and they would still work on the FHA Back to Work program. I had lost a job with a 6 figure income in 2009 and subsequently became re-employed taking a 50% pay reduction which lead to a Chapter 7. We also had a retail restaurant which began to grossly decline in sales due to the economy which helped lead to the BK. We were assured they could work around this as our FICO scores were in the low 700's. We were subsequently denied the FHA but they assured us we could proceed with the prior "approved: conventional”.

Well..... their underwriter, if you can refer to him/her as such, interpreted the BK papers incorrectly. They interpreted the home mortgage was not "discharged" in the BK. We even supplied correspondence from our BK Attorney that it was, they chose not to believe it. BUYER BEWARE!!!! Do not believe anything they tell you if you have had problems. As nice as the people are in the office I dealt with...... their underwriters are either incompetent or not trained. I now have no place to live as they advised me to give notice on my rental and all our belongings are being stored. Currently our Real Estate Lawyer is reviewing all the current damages and future potential damages before deciding which way to proceed. Give great consideration to using this Company unless you have a very simple mortgage request.

My wife and I are selling our home and the buyer went to Guild get the loan. Well a month now after the Original close date past, they postponed the closing three times and then ended up not issuing the loan and the buyer is now going to our lender for the loan. They are very unprofessional and unorganized. They basically have held up three properties from sale and four families from their respective homes.

The underwriter were extremely picky about every little details that has nothing to do with the loan. The loan officer was not very communicative and did not keep me informed. The most ridiculous was I had to verify a $5 cash deposit into my checking account. I was ready to give up the appraisal and time lost and go with a different lender. But then the loan finally closed at the last second. It was like a nightmare. DO NOT give them your business.

I wish I read review before going with this company. They are simply put, the worst loan originator I have ever dealt with. They ask very amateur questions, and request information that is not relevant. Their front line officer is helpful but that is where it stops. Every step above that point is pathetic and unresponsive. Really, for your sanity, financial security, do not go with them! Run!

Guild Mortgage Company Company Profile