1.61/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

San Diego, CA

Established in 1960, Guild Mortgage Company is the leading privately-held mortgage company in the United States. Guild makes home ownership possible.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Guild Mortgage Company Reviews

Original review: July 25, 2019

First time using Guild Mortgage. At first I thought they were great. My husband and I have been with Guild for almost 2 years now and they are HORRIBLE!!!! We will NEVER work with Guild ever again and I don’t recommend them to anyone. We’ve been having issues with this company since 2/2019 when we received our new 2019 statement. Our mortgage was going up $350! Talked to them and they said something wasn’t right. Apparently can’t figure this matter out now for over five months now.

We aren’t required to have Flood Insurance but that hasn’t stopped Guild to take that out of our mortgage payment even though I paid out of pocket for Flood Insurance. Then, they calculated the wrong insurance amount which we had to pay an extra $966 to fix their mistake. Now months later, we’re waiting for checks to come in the mail and our mortgage payment to be adjusted. I’ve tried to contact people for weeks now. No one answers or calls me back. WHAT A JOKE!!!

Hi Katie:

My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your issues regarding insurance and your mortgage payment. If you would like for me to look into this for you and have someone contact you, please email me at bgonzales@guildmortgage.net with your information.

Original review: July 24, 2019

My husband and I were in the market for a VA cash-out refinance. We had been shopping around. When I received an email from Guild Mortgage requesting I contact their offices since this is my current lender. We did contact them assuming that the process might be easier working with the company that has our existing mortgage. Was I wrong! Initially when I completed my application online I had to reach out to Kim ** myself since it took her so long to contact me. I was thrown off because she answered the phone with a simple “hello” no acknowledgement of the company she worked for. I assumed I had called the wrong number! Fast forward we have turned in all required documents after it took her assistant Heather 3-4 days to even email them to us. We signed our disclosures and the appraiser had just left our home no more than an hour ago.

When my husband receives a call from Kim reporting “I have a little bad news.” She made us aware that she was unable to move forward with the refinance because there was a over 30 day late payment on a credit card from Feb. 2019 and we could not resume the process until March 2020. This baffled my husband and myself since pulling our credit report was the first thing Kim did. How was she or the underwriter just now finding this out over 2 weeks later? To make matters worse she goes on to lie stating that this is a new VA requirement just released within the last 3-4 days. However I am aware of the guidelines and stipulations of a VA cash out refinance because I did my research prior!

I called and spoke with the home loan division with the VA who reported this could be resolved simply with a letter of clarification. That the missed/late payment verbiage in the guidelines spoke to mortgage payments and even then you could be approved with 1 missed payment. We have never missed or been late on a payment since obtaining our mortgage. I was also advised that Guild may have a stricter overlay that prevented moving forward.

However, Kim herself denied that. So again what is the real reason we weren’t able to move forward since clearly we were given misleading information!? I asked via phone and decided to follow up by email. As Kim reported within the last “few days 3-4” the VA had updated their requirements. And send me a snip of an email that she said the VA underwriters replied to her underwriter. This snippet was clearly from the Feb 2019 circular and I had read it numerous times. Nowhere does it mention the reason furnished to my husband and myself as a disqualifying factor.

You can check online yourself and see that it’s public knowledge. No circulars regarding cash out refinance have been released since February this year. VA also denied knowledge of this! And every other lender I contacted also knew nothing of this new information that only Kim and Guild Mortgage seemed to obtain from the VA as directive to end our refinance process.

After me questioning the validity of her statements this is when she began to not answer my calls but would respond almost immediately via email not even bothering to type in complete sentences. When asked if a copy of the appraisal would be released to my husband and myself she replied “I don’t know what you mean by released.” I replied asking if we could obtain a copy of the appraisal since my prior question seemed to dumbfound her. Her response, “you can if you pay for it”.

My last communications with her were to say thank you for being so helpful and professional. I sincerely hope that she could sense the sarcasm in that email since she fell entirely short of being even somewhat professional in her delivery or written communication. Gladly, this must have simply been a blessing I disguise as we contacted the company that originally gave us financing for our mortgage and also sold it subsequently afterwards to Guild. We are now set to close in a few days with Towne Bank. I have always had positive experiences with Guild mortgage prior to this. However; Kim, Heather, and her team need serious customer service training as well as being taught the importance of being honest and upfront with the customer and not making up fabrications assuming that I was unaware of the current established guidelines.

Hi Natarsha:

My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. I'm sorry to hear about the slow customer service you've been receiving from one of our branches. If you would like me to look into this situation for you, please contact me with your information.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Where do I begin. When my husband and I started this process we were in perfect credit position to do this. We left a lender to go with Guild based off our Realtor's suggestion. It was a mistake. STAY AWAY FROM THIS LENDER. The loan officer goes on vacation in the middle of processing our file and when she comes back all the documents we sent while she was out she asked for them all over again. In the mean time over 35 inquiries between my husband and I and they printed this didn't affect us. We sent letters they asked for and a week before closing they stop us and say an open dispute needed to be close. The pan officer swears she never mentioned this to us. They rescored us and our scores had dropped almost 70 points from the time we started. These people had us pay for inspections for the deal to fall through in the end. They took too long with our file. We gave them everything that asked for and more.

We have to build up our credit again and try again next year. Not all lenders use a third party service. This takes too long and drives down your score. Do your research and have a lender in mind. that way you're not easily swayed. Guild is not taking any responsibility for losing documents and taking forever to process and get our verifications done. We are heartbroken and they don't care at all.

Hi Deshea:

My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. I am sorry I did not see your review until now. I am also sorry to hear about the customer service you received from one of our branches. If you would like me to look into this situation for you, I would be happy to do so. Please contact me with your information.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Recently had damage due to a storm, sent the check to be endorsed. Waiting over three weeks, still no check. Called to ask about the check. Still no clear answer on when it will be sent out so I can start repairs, want to hold money so that “they” can send an inspector to make sure work was done right. In the meanwhile I can’t find a contractor that will work for free until they release the money. This is no one's urgency other than mine, in the meanwhile I’ll continue to pay my mortgage on time, for a house by the way we can’t stay in due to the damage and I’ll continue to pay my insurance premiums on time.

Not that it matters cause the mortgage company has more say over the settlement than I do, shame on Guild Mortgage. I warn all Vets to take your VA loan and use it elsewhere. In case of a loss and any claim thru your insurance company you will fight with them to get the money to start repairs. Also a job that can take a week to complete has now went into 7 weeks. Thank you Guild. When all is said and done I will move my loan.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi K.B. - My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear that you have been waiting so long to get clear answers about your repair. I can imagine that this is a stressful situation for you and your family. I would love the opportunity to try and assist you in getting this resolved. If you would like me to look into this for you, please contact me with your loan number.

Original review: April 2, 2019

My wife and I sold our lake house and found our retirement home! We were informed by our realtor to use Guild Mortgage Company out of Fort Worth Texas. We submitted all paperwork for the loan including tax returns, paycheck stubs etc. Being retired military in senior leadership it is easy to see incompetence and the manager during our loan process decided to take a vacation. We were then contacted by several employees who were covering for her and were told ten different things! One employee would say we need documentation and the other employee would say that wasn’t necessary. Too many that want to be In charge! Mind you this was the fifth house we purchased so we knew going into this what to expect. Due to their incompetence we were forced to change our closing date three times almost lost our escrow money! Even on the day of closing they asked for additional information!

Mind you we were putting 80k down and have been in my current job for 24 years. In addition they advised they would pay off credit cards from the sale of our other house instead of trusting us in paying off debit! It was so bad that we were not even sure if we were closing and started looking for temporary housing! The day of closing they had the numbers wrong on the amount that was due to us and they had to cancel the check and reissue in the correct amount! Again total incompetence! We are in the process of refinancing and going with someone else recalling the horrible experience and lack of competence. It was sad as we were so excited about the purchase of our new home and that experience totally ruined it for us! I would not finance a dog house using this company! If you use them you will regret it!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hello Allen: My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about your frustrating experience with Guild. Clear communication and excellent customer service are very important to us. What you describe falls below our standard. If you would like for me to look into this situation for you, please contact me directly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Original review: March 6, 2019

From the time my loan was closed the amount owed on my mortgage was less than 80% of the appraised value but Guild uses purchase price (NOT appraised value) to determine if PMI would be required and that put my mortgage at over 80%. This also required I escrow. I was told PMI could be moved with a new appraisal in one year. At the time, escrow was not an issue. Then, at the end of that year I was told NO I would have to pay 24 months of payments. In the meantime, my property taxes doubled in one year and a resulting recalculation of escrow requirements and a deficit balance increased my mortgage payment by over $500 per month!! I now wanted out of escrow requirements, as well.

Each time I spoke with someone I got a different story on how or even if I could get out from under both PMI and escrowing requirements. It was a nightmare of multiple calls, misinformation, conflicting instructions, I kept demanding my request be escalated and then no return of my calls. I paid over $1700 to pay off escrow deficit, made sure I had paid 24 payments (on time) and paid $500 for a new appraisal - the new valuation put my mortgage balance at 66% of value and I then demanded PMI and escrow be removed. I was told PMI would be removed but not escrow requirement!!

Finally I talked with a lawyer and filed a Consumer Protection Bureau complaint. Evidently, after months of frustrating calls and conflicting instructions from Guild customer service, this filing triggered the issue be escalated to VP of Escrow. Within in ONE DAY she had resolved ALL my issues!! She was awesome and totally understood the nightmare her call center and internal policies had caused AND cost me. (almost $1800 total) I should never have had to pay over $1200 in PMI payments in the first place PLUS a 2nd appraisal.

My CPB complaint is now closed and I have a direct phone number to her - which NO ONE would give me before! I do hope she and Guild use this experience to help the company improve both their policy requirements around determining if PMI or escrowing should be required on a loan AND how that information is conveyed to their call center and customers. Also, NO call center should ever refuse to give a customer a direct line to a manager to escalate a complaint. This could have been resolved months ago!

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Anna: My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad you were able to reach a somewhat favorable solution, but do apologize for the time and frustration it took to get you there. Customers should not have to work so hard to receive excellent service. If you ever need assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.

Original review: March 6, 2019

My Husband and I have had two terrible experiences with Guild Mortage in the course of 4 months. First and foremost, they did not make our loan processing date so we could close on time. One would think 2 months would be adequate time to process our loan. Especially since they verbally told us it was and did a hard sell on us to select them as our mortgage company. We have excellent credit and are in good financial standing so the closing should have been effortless. Because we missed the deadline, it cost us more to renegotiate the contract with the seller. When I filed a complaint with Guild, I got a detailed letter back explaining that it could not have been their fault. That was the first experience.

The second experience came when it came time to pay our property taxes. The loan had been based on withholding our taxes in escrow, so they knew exactly what the taxes were owed for the year. They paid a partial payment on the taxes and then refunded us the balance. When we discovered that the taxes were not paid in full, they said once again "not our fault". They paid the penalties but not the taxes. They now have told us we are in arrears on our escrow. I sent multiple emails to customer service asking many questions and they never directly answered any of my questions. They are the masters of dodging responsibility and they will make thousands of dollars off my loan and cannot even compensate us for their errors, let lone address our questions with integrity.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Shelley: My name is Brandy and I work at Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear about the experiences you've had. Even though you've already filed a formal complaint and received a response, I would love the opportunity to look further into this situation for you. If you would like me to, please contact me via phone or email with your loan number and desired outcome.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I used this company for home loan. I was lucky enough to pay off the loan by maturation time. I will never use and recommend this company for my future activities. Its customer service has poor quality. During application for loan and loan period, I had multiple related questions which in many, loan officer was unable to answer. In occasions, they never got back to me (such for Mrs Georg **). Sometimes I felt at this company, "right hand" does not know the "left hand". Try different company.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Alex: My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I am very sorry to hear you had a bad experience with customer service and with getting your questions and answered. I understand you have paid off your loan already, but if you would like me to look into your situation, please let me know by contacting me.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Just recently I filed a chapter 13. I kept my mortgage up to date during this time. For unknown reason Guild Mortgage is charging me 950 dollars for some law In the state of Nevada. These bloodsuckers are guaranteed the money back on the loan if I default. Can't believe they do this then some leech attorney out of Las Vegas sends me this in the mail after I file and almost finished. Doesn't give me much recourse but pay but to who doesn't even say where to send the money. I would never again would recommend Guild Mortgage to anyone nor my brother. He has had bad experience with them to treated him like a thief. Kept asking where he got his money from. Same here. Don't ever use these people. Beware.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Thomas: My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I'm really sorry to hear about what's going on with your loan. Have you talked with anyone in our customer service department yet? I know they would be more than happy to try and resolve this for you. If you would like me to investigate your situation, please contact me with your specific loan information.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I was billed for force placed insurance in August 2018. I got my own insurance the same month. When I received my yearly analyst in December I realized I was billed twice for insurance. I called Guild Mortgage to find out why I was charged even after notification of the new insurance the same month. I was told the force placed insurance I was billed for was 2017 not 2018. Guild Mortgage had charged me for backdated insurance during a period when no policy existed. By their own admission the insurance company did not even report the cancellation to Guild Mortgage until May 2018. When I inquired about information regarding the policy I was charged for I was given fraudulent information. This caused a shortage in my escrow account and a higher mortgage for the upcoming year and to make matters worst I'm still not sure what I'm paying for. An imaginary insurance policy.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Joseph: My name is Brandy and I work for Guild Mortgage. I'm sorry to hear about the frustrations your experiencing concerning your mortgage insurance. Please know that we take allegations of fraud very seriously and would like to look further into this for you. If you would like me to investigate your file, could you please send me your loan information and any other details.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information