4.9/5 (105 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About BNC National Bank

BNC National Bank (NMLS #418467) is an online bank and mortgage lender that’s been in business for over 30 years. The company is headquartered in Bismarck, North Dakota. It offers conventional, FHA, VA, USDA and jumbo loans. You can apply for a mortgage directly through the company’s website.

Pros

• Experienced VA lender
  • Competitive rates
  • Online preapproval decisions in minutes

Cons

• Limited fee info online
  • No HELOCs or home equity loans
  • Few in-person branches

Bottom Line

BNC National Bank is a full-service bank that offers digital banking and mortgage products. It’s a seasoned mortgage lender for first-time homebuyers and veterans. BNC lends in all 50 states, but it has physical offices in only a few.

Top BNC National Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BNC National Bank?

Verified

We used BNC back in 2018 and we used them again. We’re very happy with them. The application process was as smooth as it could be. One of the reasons that we came back was because...

Verified

I was working with three different lenders trying to work a deal out. So, it took a little bit of time. But once I committed to BNC, they were great. We got everything knocked out...

Rates

BNC National Bank doesn’t publish its starting rates online, but according to Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data, the company has had a lower average rate for home purchase loans than the national average in recent years. In 2021, its average rate was 0.25% lower than the national average.

BNC National Bank offers both fixed-rate and adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs). Fixed-rate mortgages are popular when rates are low; when rates climb, many borrowers choose ARMs for the short-term savings they offer. ARMs have relatively low introductory rates for one to five years, after which the rate resets and adjusts according to market conditions. Before you get an ARM, keep in mind there’s no guarantee rates will come down over time.

BNC National Bank average home purchase rate vs. national average

YearDifference from national average
2021-0.25%
2020-0.15%
2019-0.20%
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data. Rates reflect noncommercial home purchase loans only.

Application process

You start the preapproval process by applying through the company’s website. Once you create an account, the application asks questions about the type of home you’re looking to purchase, your assets (like bank account balances) and your demographics. You may also need to upload financial documents, like bank statements and pay stubs, before you can submit the finalized application.

A loan officer is available to assist you with your application or answer any questions you may have about the process. After completing the application, you could receive a preapproval decision within a few minutes.

Matthew, a ConsumerAffairs reviewer from Matthews, North Carolina, had this to say about BNC National Bank:  “The rep worked with me and gave me the lowest available rate. I got a conventional loan and everything rolled fast. It was a good process. He told me what I needed, and I got those things. The portal was easy to upload information. It was a good experience and I would use BNC again. I recommended them to a friend and he used them as well.”

BNC National Bank application features

FeaturesAvailability
Online application
Mobile document upload
Physical branchesFour states
Publishes minimum rate on websiteX
Rate lock10 days to 12 months
Pre-qualification (no hard credit pull)
Certified approval letter

Loan types

BNC National Bank offers a variety of mortgage loan options to suit borrowers’ needs. The company offers conventional loans (with fixed or adjustable rates), jumbo loans, FHA loans, USDA loans and VA loans. Conventional loans generally come with 15-year, 20-year or 30-year terms. The company also offers 203(k) loans, which are mortgage loans insured by the FHA for purchasing and remodeling a home.

BNC National Bank states that it specializes in VA loans and mortgages for first-time homebuyers. The company originated over $1.2 billion in VA loans alone in 2021.

That same year, BNC National Bank received 3,157 home purchase applications. Of those applications, about 64% (2,023) turned into closed home purchase loans, and about 8% (253) were denied.

Loan applications for home purchases only by year

202120202019
Home purchase applications3,1571,9792,469
Home purchase loans closed2,0231,3441,477
Home purchase applications denied253178255
Home purchase preapprovals denied000
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data. Includes conventional, USDA, VA and FHA mortgages.

Refinancing

BNC National Bank offers refinancing for jumbo, FHA, USDA and VA loans. You can refinance to lock in a lower interest rate, shorten your loan term or get cash.

In 2020 and 2021, many borrowers refinanced their mortgages to secure lower rates. The majority of loans BNC closed in 2021 were for refinancing (66% for refinances and cash-out refinances combined). Less than one-third (31%) were for home purchase loans.

Rates have since risen, and fewer borrowers are expected to refinance in 2022. For reference, the average 30-year fixed-rate loan rate was under 3% in August 2020; it was 5.13% in mid-August 2022, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.

Home purchase vs. refinance loans by year

202120202019
Home purchase loans31.01%16.05%36.38%
Refinance loans46.34%65.24%40.27%
Cash-out refinance19.51%16.73%19.46%
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Data. Includes conventional, USDA, VA and FHA mortgages.

Requirements

BNC National Bank lists many of its borrower requirements on its website. Most seem to adhere to the industry norms, though it does require a credit score of 620 for a VA loan (some lenders may allow 580). BNC National Bank also allows a 3% down payment for first-time homebuyers on conventional loans; some lenders require more.

The company doesn’t disclose its minimum credit score requirement for FHA loans, but it does state that this type of loan allows for lower credit scores. This could be an ideal choice for first-time homebuyers with lower credit scores.

National mortgage requirements by type

Min. credit scoreMin. down paymentCompare with other lenders
ConventionalTypically 620Typically 3%Mortgage lenders
FHA5003.5% with 580 credit scoreFHA lenders
VASet by lender (often 580)0%VA lenders
USDASet by lender (often 640)0%USDA lenders

Cost and fees

BNC National Bank doesn’t list its lender fees for new mortgage loans online. Closing costs usually include a credit report fee, title search fees, homeowners insurance premiums, property taxes and other fees.

If you’re concerned about paying these costs, you can ask BNC if it offers any closing cost assistance programs.

Once you’re preapproved, BNC National Bank should give you a Loan Estimate, which details all the estimated closing costs. You’ll receive Closing Disclosures at least three business days before your closing, which will show the finalized loan costs and fees.

FAQ

How does BNC National Bank work?

BNC National Banks specializes in home loans for first-time homebuyers and veterans. It offers conventional, FHA, VA and jumbo loans.

BNC provides a digital mortgage experience; you can apply for a loan on your phone in less than 10 minutes, then follow up with your loan officer by phone, email or text. You can also manage your mortgage payments online through the company’s loan portal.

Is BNC National Bank legit?

BNC National Bank is a legitimate bank and mortgage lender. It’s experienced in helping veterans and first-time homebuyers find the right products and resources, and it offers helpful educational tools. It doesn’t publish mortgage rates or detailed descriptions of its products online, but it offers one-on-one connections with borrowers, so an experienced loan officer should be able to answer any questions.

Where is BNC National Bank available?

BNC National Bank’s mortgages are available in all 50 states. The company has branches in Arizona, Kansas, Illinois and North Dakota.

BNC National Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BNC National Bank?

Original review: July 3, 2022

Working with BNC was simple. It was through email communication and the reps were responsive getting back to us quickly. We closed within 30 days. It did seem at the end that, to get the final reconciliation for the closing statement, it took them a little longer than we anticipated. But nothing prevented us from closing that day.

The rates have been fluctuating and if you lock in and the rates go down, you should be able to adjust down. But BNC didn't mention that and I doubt another lender would have either. And I, with everything going on, did not follow up or inquire about that either. Also, they told me the day before we were scheduled to close that they had submitted employment verification to my employer. I worked for a global company with more than 25,000 employees and they did not get a timely response, which, when you wait, I'm not surprised at all that an employer of that size probably had lots of requests and do not respond to them immediately. So, that was kind of a fire drill. But everything worked out.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2022

I love BNC. I've refinanced and I've bought two homes with them. I worked with Mike and he and his team were great. They were always super quick and it was never a big deal to make a slight adjustment. It was all electronic, which I like. So, I did no paperwork and sent all my documents electronically. Their application process was the most efficient I've seen as far. BNC was to the point. The rep said it was the best rate he could give me and there was not a lot of going back and forth about them doing a little bit better. I've bought a house and I didn't use BNC at the time and I regretted it.

It was great with BNC. They were always ready to go and the purchases were always closed on time. I just sold a house and the buyer's lender had a mistake at closing, and it took an extra day to close. But I've never had anything like that happen with BNC. My real estate agent was shocked they had an appraisal so fast because their appraisals are hard to get and they were able to get one in less than 10 days.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

I got a 30-year fixed mortgage from BNC and the process was wonderful and smooth. I filled out a couple of online forms and sent in a few documents, and that was it. Application took me 30 minutes to fill out, while underwriting was three weeks. All the people communicated with me as we went along. They gave me status updates and it's about as much as I can hope from a bank.

The best part of the officer I worked with, Mike, was he was politely persistent. I wanted a certain rate and I wasn't willing to lock until I got that rate. I locked with another bank that was close to the rate I wanted then mike called me one day and said, “Hey, the rate’s at this level. You really should consider locking today and then we can get you this rate in time for your closing.” I appreciated that. He wasn't pushy, and he said, “If you want to, I can lock it right now and do the application with you and we could be done.” That ended up working out.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

I had gotten a call from BNC and they told me that they could do 2.5. I called up Brian and I'm very pleased with what happened. The only thing that seems to be a source of confusion right now is this property requires flood insurance. I have this policy in place and had all the information on the day of closing. It was provided to everybody. But I got a letter in the mail the other day from PennyMac, their loan servicing third-party. They said they didn't have a copy of it. According to them, I didn't have flood insurance. I called USAA, who's my insurer, and they sent them a copy of the policy description page. Otherwise, PennyMac said that they were going to pick out a policy for me.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

BNC was really easy to work with. The loan agent was very knowledgeable especially about the VA loan that I was trying to pursue. he was on the ball and there was good communication. It's a more difficult process than a conventional loan but BNC made the process easier than the time I've done it with other banks. We were under a lot of pressure to get it done and things were on a very fast track. They did a good job walking me through on what I needed and made the process easy going through the submission of stuff online. We ended up emailing some of the documents back and forth 'cause the system wasn't 100% perfect. But being flexible with those things was really helpful.

But their system will say you need certain documents and then after I submit those, I have to follow them to make sure things aren't lost in submission. I would submit document A and then I might get asked for that again. I have to say, “Hey, I submitted it at this time.” And someone would have to go in and take a look at it. Sometimes it was easier to just email that person document A instead of trying to submit it through. The other thing is if someone hasn’t preloaded the form saying, “I need document A,” it's really hard for me to go and submit said documents if someone hasn't put in a request for me to submit that document through the system. Other than that, I had a really good experience with BNC.

Original review: July 30, 2022

The individual that we worked with was very responsive and the experience was very straightforward. This is the second time that we've purchased a home. It can be cumbersome or stressful at times but we felt there were no silly questions. I appreciated that, too.

Original review: July 24, 2022

It was a new construction and we started and then we stopped. Then, it was going to take longer than we thought. But we got the mortgage. So, the end result was good. The rep, Vic, did his job and it all worked out.

Original review: July 17, 2022

The application process was smooth and quick. We had great communication. But after BNC did my mortgage, they turned around and sold my mortgage off to somebody else. The transition hasn't been the smoothest because the letters I've been getting don't clarify who I need to send my payment to. Everybody else was just as confused as I was because of the way that the letters were worded. Somebody finally clarified that once there's a transferring of mortgages, the government allows for a 60 or 90-day no bad reporting for late payments. I'm just waiting on my payment information from the new bank.

Original review: July 15, 2022

They gave me the lowest rate and the senior mortgage consultant I worked with was extremely helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. The process was very smooth and there was constant communication. We closed in less than two months.

Original review: July 10, 2022

Julie ** and her team were extremely helpful and go over and above good customer service. Would definitely go with BNC again if I ever need another mortgage loan. This is the second time we have worked with Julie and both times were as easy as this process can possibly be.

ConsumerAffairs writers primarily rely on government data, industry experts and original research from other reputable publications to inform their work. To learn more about the content on our site, visit our FAQ page. Specific sources for this article include:
    1. Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council, “HMDA Data Publication.” Accessed Sept. 21, 2022.
    2. Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, “30-Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Average in the United States.” Accessed Sept. 1, 2022.
    3. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, “Lender Statistics.” Accessed Sept. 21, 2022.

BNC National Bank Company Information