4.9/5 (91 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Cassidy McCants

About BNC National Bank

In its 30 years of providing mortgages, BNC National Bank has funded more than $11 billion in loans. It focuses on one-on-one communication with borrowers and on expanding its digital mortgage division. The bank specializes in helping veterans and first-time homebuyers with their mortgage loan needs.

Pros

• Experienced VA lender
  • Has an Apple/Android mortgage app
  • Focuses on interacting with borrowers

Cons

• Tough to find info on its loan products
  • Physical offices in only seven states

Bottom Line

BNC National Bank is a full-service bank offering digital banking and mortgage products. It’s a seasoned mortgage lender for first-time homebuyers and veterans. BNC lends in 50 states, but it has physical offices in only a few.

What is BNC National Bank?

BNC is a bank and equal housing lender. It claims a focus on being personable, with experienced loan originators connecting one-on-one with borrowers. The bank specializes in assistance for first-time homebuyers and veterans, and it states it can underwrite mortgage loans in two business days and close home loans sooner than the standard 30 days. While it’s licensed in all 50 states, it only has mortgage offices in seven of them: Arizona, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri and North Dakota.

BNC also provides a digital mortgage experience; you can apply for a loan on your phone in less than 10 minutes, then follow up with your loan originator via phone, email or text. Moreover, its mobile app and desktop loan payment center make it simple to manage your mortgage payments.

The bank also provides a host of educational resources to assist you in making informed decisions about your mortgage and to help you understand the process. Several mortgage calculators are available, as well as articles about mortgage basics like VA loans, Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI), closing costs and FHA loans.

BNC National Bank mortgage services

BNC National Bank offers various mortgage services, especially for veterans and first-time homebuyers; it claims that over half its business comes from veterans. BNC’s loan options include conventional, FHA, USDA, VA, second home, non-owner purchase and refinancing mortgage loans. These loans can be used for home purchase, home improvement, refi, cash-out refi and other situations.

BNC National Bank rates

Many factors go into determining your mortgage rates, including your credit score, the loan-to-value ratio on your house, current benchmark rates and inflation. The result is that it’s hard to specify a set rate from a mortgage lender.

While you won’t find BNC’s rates online, you can use its mortgage calculators to figure out how much house you can afford, whether you should pay points and more. These calculators are meant to be helpful but aren’t intended to guarantee eligibility or accuracy when it comes to your personal situation, however.

BNC National Bank FAQ

What kind of loans does BNC National Bank offer?
BNC National Bank specializes in loan options for first-time homebuyers and veterans. It provides a wide array of mortgage products, though, including VA, FHA, USDA and refinancing loans.
Where are BNC National Bank locations?
BNC National Bank has mortgage offices in Arizona, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri and North Dakota.
Can I pay my BNC National Bank mortgage online?
Yes, BNC has a loan payment portal where you can make payments, view your payment history and manage your payment accounts. You can also do the same on its mortgage app.
What does your credit score need to be for a BNC National Bank mortgage?
BNC doesn’t disclose this information on its website, but it does ask how your credit is during the home mortgage application process. Although this suggests your credit score plays a role in your application approval, BNC looks at your applications as a whole to determine your loan eligibility.

Is BNC National Bank reputable?

Yes. BNC National Bank is a reputable bank and mortgage lender that can help you purchase your dream home. It’s experienced in helping veterans and first-time homebuyers find the right products and resources, and it offers a quick application process and helpful educational tools. While it doesn’t publish mortgage loan rates or give detailed descriptions about its loan products online, the company boasts one-on-one connections with borrowers, so a representative should be able to answer any questions you may have.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BNC National Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BNC National Bank?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

BNC was really easy to work with. The loan agent was very knowledgeable especially about the VA loan that I was trying to pursue. he was on the ball and there was good communication. It's a more difficult process than a conventional loan but BNC made the process easier than the time I've done it with other banks. We were under a lot of pressure to get it done and things were on a very fast track. They did a good job walking me through on what I needed and made the process easy going through the submission of stuff online. We ended up emailing some of the documents back and forth 'cause the system wasn't 100% perfect. But being flexible with those things was really helpful.

But their system will say you need certain documents and then after I submit those, I have to follow them to make sure things aren't lost in submission. I would submit document A and then I might get asked for that again. I have to say, “Hey, I submitted it at this time.” And someone would have to go in and take a look at it. Sometimes it was easier to just email that person document A instead of trying to submit it through. The other thing is if someone hasn’t preloaded the form saying, “I need document A,” it's really hard for me to go and submit said documents if someone hasn't put in a request for me to submit that document through the system. Other than that, I had a really good experience with BNC.

Get buying tips about VA Loan Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I inquired about a loan and someone responded fairly quickly. BNC was the third lender I went with. I was initially just exploring different interest rate options, and I thought my quote was arguably good. Then I tried a different place, and it was a little different. Then I tried a third place. With my initial quote, I was quoted like 2.85. Then with BNC, I was able to get to 2.25. It was a significant difference in interest rates that I think it's important to shop around. The reason I stopped at BNC is because I was confident that I wouldn't get really any lower than that.

The communication could have been a little bit better, though. I felt like near the end of the process, it was a little tricky in terms of the communication back and forth. The person that was assigned to my account during the process, was on PTO for a good chunk of it, so it was also a little tricky. But it still was able to work out.

I was in the process of purchasing new construction, so, my timelines were being controlled by the builder in terms of supplies and what their projected date would be. For instance, the initial closing date was October 1st, and then it got extended to November and then mid-November. It was extended a few times so I wasn't able to get the appraisal until the home was complete. Also, BNC is on a different time zone than the builder and the Realtor, so that was a little challenging. But it didn't seem too bad.

BNC was good. They were as responsive as they could be for a lot of questions I asked. I would recommend them because they're really competitive. The only thing that was somewhat surprising is they sold my loans before I made my first mortgage payment, which is interesting. But I guess that's not uncommon. But, overall, it was a good experience.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

The reps seemed like they were very knowledgeable, professional and informative. The application process was pretty straightforward and it didn't feel as complicated or invasive as it did. The process overall went a lot smoother than it did with our first house loan. It went pretty well. The only issue that I've had with them was during post-process. It was kind of a confusing piece of thing.

BNC Bank is a broker. So as soon as you finish the loan process, BNC is going to sell that loan to a bank that will facilitate it going forward. I knew that from the beginning. But what happened was I had come into it after we had finished all of the refinance process, and they said, “Okay. Now you're going to make your first mortgage payment to BNC Bank. And then after that, your loan is going to be probably facilitated over to this bank where you'll set up everything on their portal, and you'll be making payments to them going forward."

I sent my payment to BNC Bank but after two weeks, they still hadn't cashed that mortgage check. So then I had to call them and they had said, “Oh, yeah. Well, your loan had already been sold over to the other bank and so we just forwarded your check over there.” I had to contact the new bank and make sure that they got my check. They told me, “Oh, yeah. We got your check but we have to have BNC endorse it. So we had to send the check back to BNC." So now, it's been 19 days since I've sent the first mortgage payment, and that check has still not been cashed by anybody. They've marked it paid on time on the mortgage thing. But I had anticipated that it would go smoother. The whole rest of the process was so smooth that it surprises me that this part of it isn't more streamlined.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

This is the fourth time I've worked with BNC National Bank. The agent that I work with is phenomenal. She’s flexible. She keeps me updated. She is above par on all levels. She does all the legwork, makes things happen, and sends me the paperwork to sign. So, with BNC, I get better rates, better service and better results. On this last refinance, I did attempt to go through my local bank, and their rates are not good even though they’re a credit union. They were a pain. They wanted to charge me for my own credit report. So, I went back to BNC. They charged me to pull my credit but as part of the whole system, they don't charge me upfront. They waive a bunch of fees for veterans. So, I'm not gonna find a cheaper opportunity.

Through the application, somebody reaches out to you and says, “Hey, got your thing. Do the stuff. Email these documents to continue processing.” It's all routine. It's the same crap you got to do whenever you refinance or finance anything. However, as I've used the same agent repeatedly now, the application process is a phone call. She goes, “All right. I'll run the numbers and send you an email.” They do all the things.

On the first couple times I used them, I had my own title company, so I went there to do the closing. The last time, I used their title company and they sent them out to me to my residence to sign the papers for the closing. I can't ask for more than I could make a phone call, refinance two homes at the same time, and they get it processed. BNC is good. You can't ask for a simpler process, especially a repeat customer to make a phone call and make things happen. As far as the application, it’s their standard online application. There's no trying to charge me upfront like the other bank was for my credit report.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

I loved the lady that I talked to at BNC. I also called two other lenders but then, BNC gave me the best rate and their rep, Crystal, gave me lender credits. Besides that, Crystal was very proactive. But the underwriting of BNC Bank needs work. It should be something quick and painless. Crystal forwarded over emails and I had sent emails over to their underwriting reps. But instead of verifying that they received the emails, they kept asking for the same documentation. That was okay when you deal with someone that has time in their hands, but that was not the case for somebody like me and my family.

I sent everything the first day that the underwriting rep was asking for. I sent most of all these particular documents and the ones that I did not send, I put an explanation. But they kept asking for them or they said they never received the documents. Then, I had to forward over the email again. Now if you're in underwriting, that means you have to be very nitpicky and you have to have attention to detail. So I couldn't understand how an underwriting department would miss emails like that.

BNC Bank also needs to make every possible effort to contact the person they’re working with once they sell the mortgage loan. Even if the loan is closed, it would be good to get a call from Crystal or somebody from BNC Bank saying that your mortgage had been sold to Company Y and that they're sending you an email with the instructions on how to find your loan number as well as how to contact them. Steps like that would make it so much easier for everyone. In my case, I was able to figure that out but it took me 15 minutes to look it up and call people . But they already knew that information and all they had to do was draft up an email about it. Other than that, I'm going to buy another house in California and I'm going to use BNC again.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

I got a 30-year fixed mortgage from BNC and the process was wonderful and smooth. I filled out a couple of online forms and sent in a few documents, and that was it. Application took me 30 minutes to fill out, while underwriting was three weeks. All the people communicated with me as we went along. They gave me status updates and it's about as much as I can hope from a bank.

The best part of the officer I worked with, Mike, was he was politely persistent. I wanted a certain rate and I wasn't willing to lock until I got that rate. I locked with another bank that was close to the rate I wanted then mike called me one day and said, “Hey, the rate’s at this level. You really should consider locking today and then we can get you this rate in time for your closing.” I appreciated that. He wasn't pushy, and he said, “If you want to, I can lock it right now and do the application with you and we could be done.” That ended up working out.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

I had gotten a call from BNC and they told me that they could do 2.5. I called up Brian and I'm very pleased with what happened. The only thing that seems to be a source of confusion right now is this property requires flood insurance. I have this policy in place and had all the information on the day of closing. It was provided to everybody. But I got a letter in the mail the other day from PennyMac, their loan servicing third-party. They said they didn't have a copy of it. According to them, I didn't have flood insurance. I called USAA, who's my insurer, and they sent them a copy of the policy description page. Otherwise, PennyMac said that they were going to pick out a policy for me.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

Jennifer was my loan officer, and she was awesome. Application was all online and it was good and went fairly smooth. However, BNC gave me the loan, but then they immediately sold the loan to somebody else.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

Applying took a month and some change, from first contact to closing the house and the mortgage started, and the paperwork was done.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

John, the guy who helped me, was outstanding. He explained everything from soup to nuts. He answered any questions we had and he barely had questions. I was going to go with a conventional loan but when John explained the benefits and rates I could get with a VA, I switched. Communication was good but I had issues with the closing dates. They could not get an appraiser to the house and by the time we found the house after pre-approval, it was two months. Other than that, I had a very good experience with BNC.

BNC National Bank Company Information