Ford Focus

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Purchased a 2014 Ford Focus November 2014. After several months I started to notice the shudder when accelerating which got progressively worse. Several trips to the dealership where they performed several software updates which were supposed to address the issue but never fix the sputtering/jerking. Car got worse in February 2016 and started to jump forward (as if popping the clutch on a standard). I was told the clutch needed to be replaced. However there was a 3 month wait. I contacted Ford and was able to get the clutch replaced within weeks. September rolls around and the car starts to sputter again and I call the dealership and have to wait almost a month for an appointment. They end up replacing the clutch again even though the car has under 20,000 miles.

After picking up the car I noticed it was much louder than before and you could feel and hear it shifting as if the car was lagging - not sputtering. Now the dealership is telling me the car is fine and within their threshold. I can't blame the dealership as they have done everything they can to assist in resolving this known issue. I am now stuck with a car that I owe more money on and they can't resolve the problem. I've reached out directly to Ford but they aren't helping. Like many others this issue has caused numerous hardships and inconveniences. Most notably I am stuck with a car that has known issues and if I were to trade this car in I would get considerably less than what I owe. I had hoped Ford would have done the right thing and assisted in correcting the issue or getting me into a new car. Neither has happened.

I purchased a pre-owned 2012 Ford Focus from a Honda dealership. Shortly after my car started hesitating and not going into gear. It has an automatic 4 cyl transmission. After doing some research, I took it into a local dealership and found out there was in fact a problem with the transmission. Ford had issued a warranty for the "transmission shutter". I took it into Harris Ford in Lynnwood, WA. They told me this model had a bad design, that it has a dual clutch system being shifted by a computer. They replaced my clutch and told me the problem would probably come back. I drove it for a little while, the problem did come back, it hesitates when starting from a stop, you can hear the car try to find the gear, (it's like someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick trying to find 1st gear- grinding). When it finally finds the gear it jerks and sputters.

I took it back in and the service rep told me they could do a software upgrade. It has now had two software upgrade and still has this problem. When I spoke with the Regional service manager for Ford, he basically said there was nothing they can do but give me a "family discount" on another car. I still owe on this lemon! I owe more than its worth! But I'm stuck with this POS because Ford doesn't want to step up and admit they made a huge mistake?!? What happens when my car hesitates when pulling out into traffic and I get hit? I have had an independent mechanic look at my car, he stated it needs a transmission. I just want a safe car! I'm making payments on a car that could kill me!! I tried reaching out to Ford customer service, this woman Dorothy just told me to contact the dealership. WOW! Why does no one at Ford care?!?

I bought a 2014 Ford Focus new. It now has 30000 miles and is going in for the second clutch. Has been reprogrammed at least 4 times. Had an Impala and never ever should have traded it. Ford should give people refunds for their screw ups instead of offering longer warranties. Nothing like putting a band aid on a wound and ripping it off.

We just purchased a 2015 Ford Focus and only had for a month and took it into Ford for shuddering. They tell me there's nothing they can do about it doing it cause they ran the electrical test and nothing shows up and Ford won't allow them to do anything more to my car if it doesn't show on the electrical test. We purchased this car from Hare Chevrolet and paid cash for it. I read all reviews on this car and all having transmission problems. This to me gives Ford a bad name. I hope they recall these transmissions and soon. I'm so upset. Every last penny we had!!

Well this was my first "new" certified used car from Ford. I bought it with approximately 40,000 miles on it. Within the first few weeks I felt the shudder as I would come from a stop. Was first told by a Ford dealer to clean out the clutch plates by taking it on the interstate and gunning the engine to 95 miles per hour, which sounded absolutely ridiculous in the first place. I then took the car in to have the clutch replaced at 50,000 miles, at a different dealership nonetheless. The car is a vehicle that is driven everyday, by myself or other people in my family, including a dialysis patient. Took the car in last week to check on the shudder again, now it turns out the clutch is going again, after being told by the service worker at the dealership that I drive it too much. I'm sorry I didn't know that you weren't supposed to drive a car that you have financed. It's supposed to sit in the driveway and collect dust and bird crap.

Now they want me to pay 1200 dollars to fix a part that is faulty from the beginning. There is absolutely no way I'm going to pay 1200 dollars every 6 months for a new clutch when I have a 5 year loan on the car. That's 12,000 dollars! I only owe 9,600 dollars on my loan. So what am I supposed to do with it when the parts are inferior and Ford refuses to help fix the problem?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

First, the good. The dealership has been supportive and easy to work with, especially since they're inundated with these lemon cars. They've repaired the car as best they can several times, and I've not been charged for the fixes. That exhausts the good news. The bad: I bought this 2012 Focus SEL new in August 2012. It is now getting ready to go in the shop for the FOURTH time for clutch/transmission problems. The recall has been serviced - TWICE. The PCM has been reprogrammed at least 3 times already, and in addition to the recall work (they're replacing seals, not much more) the entire clutch assembly has been replaced at least once (it may have been twice - to be honest, I no longer remember). THE CAR ONLY HAS 63000 MILES ON IT.

The mechanics at the dealership have been brutally honest and I believe they're doing their best, which makes the situation actually MORE dire, since it leaves me with only one conclusion: the car cannot really be repaired. All of you know the drill - transmission slips, brake fluid levels (it shares a reservoir with the clutch assembly) report as too low, shudder on takeoff from a stop. The resale value has understandably cratered - I paid 20K for the car in 2012, and would be doing good to get 6 now. As it is, I would feel guilty selling it to someone else, knowing what I know, and I'm in no hurry to give Ford any more of my money.

At this point the only thing I can honorably do is get it fixed (AGAIN), and hope its next failure is at 99,500 miles, so I can hit them up for one last repair before it becomes my expensive problem. At that point, I'll probably donate it to charity. The sad fact is, it's actually a fun car to drive and gets great gas mileage. If Ford could have fixed it, I would gladly have kept it for years to come, and likely would have bought another.

2015 Ford Focus Ecoboost - I had issues with the car, but that's cause it was my fault. I was launching at 4500 rpms in a front wheel drive. Dumping the clutch was fun until it snapped my rack and pinion. It completely messed up the car. Parts flying everywhere. Had to pay deductible to get fixed. After that the car was fine. One night I was driving up the 5, steep freeways, I was at 4000 rpms in 4th gear, next thing I know, the car shakes and I drop nearly 2000!! Rpms. Luckily I was able to pull to the side. I lost 2,4 and 5th gear. They fixed it, no questions asked. This was I believe at 10k miles (I can be wrong) now it's almost at 22k, car drives like a dream.

Out of nowhere, I was starting from a hill, the clutch makes a weird groaning noise and then stops, like it's struggling to get the car going and I feel a loss of power. Not a lot, but just enough to be noticed. Don't know if they replaced the transmissions with a 2015 model. I have a feeling my clutch is slipping or my throw out bearing might be bad.

From stopping the car is horrible at accelerating and chugs and sputters. Horrible to drive in town. There needs to be a recall. Looking at other consumer reports - this has been an issue for years. Just bought this car with very little mileage and feel completely ripped off.

My wife and l purchase a 2013 Ford Focus and what a nightmare in Midland, Ontario CA. Ford had my car then l always in getting fix and rude people. All the lights went out, odometer in 90135, odometer out 92347, and after a long 2 years they told us we had no warranty and we paid six thousand for ours. Now we have to drive 100 km to the next dealer. Our transmission they can't fix it - break down every three months. We are old and l don't believe it help.

Purchased this car (2012 Ford Focus) in 2014. After driving it for 6 months the transmission bombed. It was vibrating, shuddering, stalling, lurching, basically all of the things that are listed with the recall. So I went in to get it fixed (which went smoothly, our dealership was great), and not even 6 months later it's doing it all again. I now have a child on the way and my car is going back in to the shop, I still owe 11,000 on it, and can barely get 6000 for a trade in. I am absolutely not happy with my Ford which is upsetting as I've loved all of the Fords I've had up until now.

I bought a 2014 Focus with 28 kms on it in Nov. of 2013. First brand new car I ever bought, and definitely the absolute LAST Ford. This "car" is utter trash! I think I'm on my third clutch and approx. 7 trips into the dealership for repairs or re-settings. I would NEVER recommend this car to anyone that I didn't absolutely hate. This car is complete garbage and the biggest mistake I've made in recent memory. I also have a 15 year old Toyota that has not given me one ounce of trouble... ever. Every return to the dealership garners more excuses and (generally) blaming the consumer (ME!). Horrible car, horrible company, horrible all around!

Bought a new 2013 Ford Focus. It has been in dealer repair shop twice in October and is back in for the transmission again. Replaced TCM and clutch, drove it for about 20 miles after first repair and had to return to dealer same day as it wouldn't go into reverse. Picked it up a few days later, drove for maybe 50 miles then same issue. Returned to dealer and they said my battery wasn't sending enough juice for sensitive computer part in transmission. Replaced with new battery and drove for 1 day. Then car wouldn't go into 3rd gear and transmission failure light came on then transmission overheating light. It is in shop again. What is interesting is I went to the CARFAX website to check the service records and there are no service records about the transmission work on this vehicle. I know about a year ago 2015 they upgraded the TCM, yet no record of this on CARFAX. Are they in cahoots with Ford?

I'm an owner of a 2013 Ford Fiesta Titanium 5 door hatch. I purchased the vehicle early 2014 with 29,000 kms. Within a month it began to act as others have described, shutter, shake, grind, hitch, lurch forward, and the most concerning - loses its power/propulsion without any warning. It's clear Ford has a safety issue with it's Powershift transmission. I currently have 77,000 kms on this vehicle and am on a wait-list for my 5th replacement/service call on my transmission/clutch. There is a backlog to get the part followed with a waitlist for a service tech available to install it. Why? There is a backlog of repeated replacements - they cannot keep up with it. This leaves myself and others waiting for the repair, forced to drive around in the problematic and unsafe car, or park it and find alternative means of transportation. I purchased this car with the intent to rely upon it for daily transportation.

Extending the warranty from 60,000 kms to 210,000 kms indicates Ford is aware there is a problem but refuses to fix it, leaving it's customer's stuck with a death trap waiting to happen. I'm fed up and frustrated with the lack of accountability Ford is being held to, and I'm not alone. A company should not get away with selling such hazardous product to consumers, and not be held accountable when it's brought to light. We've hung Volkswagen out to dry on emissions affecting out environment, why aren't we demanding Ford own up to a major safety fault that could take lives?

I purchased a used 2014 "Certified Pre-Owned" Ford Focus 1 year ago. Within the first week I had it in the Dealership for sputtering, gears not engaging when at a stop position, and they replaced the cloth. They told me that these cars are supposed to run that way due to the dual engine system... shuddering, slipping has continued even after. The gears don't shift right and they never will. I was talked into the Focus when all along I wanted a Fusion.

I paid top dollar for a used car that runs so bad - it once slipped out of gear and it lurched forward. The control panel is constantly showing engine light on along with other messages like tire pressure and others. I still owe $19,000.00 on a car that nobody wants and it's trade in value is only $5,500. I believe Ford should recall all Focus and pay us back for all payments made and pay off our loans. This is one of the most heart wrenching things for me as I was counting on this being the last car I owned. Seniors are outraged... I am one of them. Thanks Ford, for much pain and suffering!

My car stalled out in center of a busy intersection during on coming traffic. I could have been seriously injured. The transmission module is on a recall list and the part can take 2 weeks to 4 weeks to arrive. Ford has refused to provide a rental car.

I purchased a brand new 2014 Ford Focus hatchback SE. Within one year of purchase, I had experienced the worsening "chugging" of the car when trying to start from a stopped position. The service department at the Ford dealer said that this is a well-known, common problem with the later Focus models; it even has a name: "shudder on take-off". The clutch was replaced for free, although I had to wait five months for the dealership to receive the part. They also updated the software, which they said should alleviate the problem. The car drove fine for a while, but now, just one year after that, the problem is back, and I am worried about the safety of driving it. Just the other day, I took a left in front of oncoming traffic, and even though I gave myself plenty of time to complete the turn, the car chugged, creating a near miss situation with the oncoming traffic.

I took the car back to the dealer, and they recommend another clutch replacement. However, this time, they will not pay for the repair. It will cost me $1220 plus tax. My car has 64,000 miles, which is outside the warranty by 4,000 miles, and the warranty for the new clutch I received last year expired on 9/9/16. When I complained, the dealership recommended that I call Ford Customer Service.

After calling Ford, a service case was received by my dealership's service manager, and I have been offered a $400 credit. Thanks a lot. So, every year, I should expect to shell out a minimum of $800 just to keep replacing this clutch. I called Ford Customer Service again, and was told that "regrettably", there is nothing else they can offer me, and since each Ford dealership is independently owned, it is up to them to offer to replace the clutch for free. Way to honor your customers and stand behind your dealers, Ford.

I just checked Kelley Blue Book, and the re-sale value of my car is already only $5500-$6500, so either I get rid of this junker now after paying $20k for it brand new just a few years ago, or pay an equivalent amount just to keep replacing the clutch year after year for the next 7 years, which is the amount of time I'd hoped and expected a new car to last. Either way, I feel I have been cheated.

On top of that, my husband also purchased a 2014 Ford Focus, after being assured by the salesman that the clutch issue had been solved, and the cars being sold at the time no longer suffer this problem. My husband's car's clutch has also already been replaced once, with only 32,000 miles on it. My family has been supportive of Ford, and 5 of my intermediate family members currently own brand new Ford vehicles. Ford has manufactured a poor quality product, and refuses to make things right with customers. Like Ford's warranty, our loyalty to this brand has expired, and we are not interested in making amends.

Purchased Focus in Sydney and have had paint chip off steering. Ford dealer said it was our fault. Rubber trimmings around all four doors come loose and told it's wear and tear. Seat side panel - Ford again denies responsibility. Now my wife's car shudders and has transmission issues and gear issues and is nearly undrivable so it's been a frustrating and sad experience. I've taken matter up with Ford Dealer over transmission and gear issues and await his reply.

I have a 2012 Ford Focus and it has been a problem ever since I got it. What's even worse is the customer service from the dealership service department. The transmission went out in the car (no reverse) and thankfully it was under a recall/customer satisfaction replacement so it was "updated" for no charge. Now my display screen now does not work and they are telling me that the extended warranty expired 6 months ago so now I have to pay $790 to replace it. I WAS NEVER NOTIFIED THAT THERE WAS A WARRANTY ABOUT TO EXPIRE! When I picked up my car after paying $140 for it to be diagnosed that the screen doesn't work (thanks for telling me what I already know and charging me $150 for it) they did not offer to replace it while they still had my car there nor did they offer to set up an appointment for it to be replaced.

NOT only that but they noted in the paperwork that I was missing a lug nut... Did they replace it? NO. Did they ask me if they could replace it? NO! They also noted that I had a burned out tail light... Did they ask me if they could replace it while they had it there?! NO THEY DID NOT! I live an hour away and have to do all kinds of juggling to drop my car off the night before, leave it there for the day and then pick it up after work then drive an hour home... NO CARE WAS GIVEN FOR ME AS THE CUSTOMER!

To top it off this morning when I looked at the floor of the passenger side I saw that they did NOT even put my car back together! There was a tool pushed between the seat and the center console and a panel that goes under the glove box area and two bolts laying on the floor... SO NOW WHAT?! I either have to try to fix it myself or go through ALL the hassle of taking my car back to the service department that obviously does not care about their quality of work or their customers. I think I'm done with Ford! They apparently are not concerned with the fact that the car has multiple known issues by the manufacture and that they are sending a customer on a wild goose chase to have their car fixed. To think I was planning on buying a new Ford Focus in June... NOT ANYMORE!

Where do I begin... After reading all of these awful reviews about Ford. I'm now realizing that I am not alone with this issue. I own a 2012 Ford Focus. I've had it almost 3 years now. 1 month after purchasing the car it was brought back to the dealership for shutter clutch issue. They couldn't fix it or pinpoint the problem (or so they said). It's been in and out of Balise Ford several times for me complaining about the bad shutter clutch problem. Last October 2015 it was finally fixed. Driving like a totally different car... I loved it. Now suddenly exactly a year later October 2016. The shutter problem is back again. It shakes bad whenever I hit 2000 rpms. Even worse if I'm stopped at a red light and start to go. Sometimes the car doesn't even want to move. Yesterday I go back to Balise Ford to let them know the problem is back a year later. He said unfortunately it's not covered under warranty any longer... It's a 2,500 problem to fix. Seriously!!!

I have a 5 year old and work weekends only. I do not have or will ever have 2500 to keep fixing this issue. If it's a known Ford problem with these cars... Why isn't this a recall yet? Mind you... I have a recall on the car as we speak for new door handles. DOOR HANDLES??? Why don't you recall my messed up transmission!! I don't understand how Ford is getting away with making messed up no good transmissions and aren't taking responsibility for it. The consumer always gets screwed. What are we all doing about this issue? Because I'm not going to allow myself to be totally screwed. I'll call a lawyer. Attorney general. Better Business Bureau. Whatever it takes. Because this is not fair to leave all these people screwed with a huge expensive repair.

2014 Ford Focus DCT - Purchased used with 15k miles and I have this problem with the transmission stuttering when the car shifts between 1st and 2nd. I've taken it to the dealer twice under warranty and they say they can't find anything wrong. Stay away from this junk. Ford won't stand behind their product.

I have had 3 incidents due to the shudder. I cannot sell this piece of junk because no one wants a 2013 Focus. I still have 10k loan on it and I cannot afford another car. Shame on NHTSA for not completely recalling it. So sick of US govt protecting these companies. If I get into an accident, Ford motor company will be liable for it. It shakes and becomes at speeds under 35 mph and anytime you need acceleration, it shakes and I fear for my life. Never buying a Ford again. I took it to dealership several times for the recall issue and they said I don't need it and they can set up an appointment months from now. If I go to a dealership to get an offer, then they say it has a severe problem and no one wants to buy it.

I bought this Certified Ford Focus with about 22,000 miles on it about 1 1/2 years ago. It now has 25,000 miles on it. It has been "in the shop" at my Ford dealership about a month total. Transmission is a nightmare, shudders when you accelerate and that problem has been addressed by the dealership 3 times. Still shudders. Had an incident where it wouldn't start, towed and battery replaced. Window wouldn't go up or down, motor replaced. I had one incident where it stalled and I thought I was stranded. It started up after it cooled off. I now pay $355.00 a month for a car that I don't trust enough to drive.

I purchased a 2014 Ford Focus brand new. I now need my third clutch. Ford is refusing to pay for my rental which means not only am I inconvenienced a third time, I have to pay money out of my pocket because they can't design a clutch that works. My advice - stay away from a company that will not make things right for their customers.

I purchased a new 2015 Ford Focus and am seriously kicking myself for not doing my homework and shopping around. It is a piece of junk. I got the letter about the transmission adjustment, took it in only to have it doing the exact same thing right away. Now it is BACK at the dealership getting a new clutch. I know this will not be the end of it so I am preparing to contact the Florida Lemon Law attorneys to back me up when I demand a full refund for this car. What a royal pain... the rental car they gave me as a loaner is 3 times better than that piece of crap Focus.

We bought our Focus new from Del Balso Ford Kingston PA at the end of 2010. We have had it serviced faithfully by the dealer from day one. Now with only 64000 miles, the transmission is going. Just started one day last week and now won't come out of 3rd gear. Ford needs to stand behind these cars that have obvious issues and take responsibility for this.

I bought 2015 Ford Focus Dec 2015. I have had nothing but problems with it. Was driving down hwy and dash lights up saying transmission not in park. I lost all power and car shuts down thankfully as I got to shoulder of road. Took to dealer. They had it almost a week when I'm told nothing showing up on computer to come get it and drive it till does it again... very next day did it again. I call and get told unless it does it when they have it they can't pinpoint the problem. It's been shuttering and just no power. Also when the transmission acts up it messes up the AC which is weird.

Also when I first got this car I asked about the funny dents in the side walls of all the tires. They said it's just the way the tires are made. Well yesterday one of those dents blew completely out leaving me to have to buy a used tired to make it home and now car is making a weird humming noise from the side that blew... I'm afraid I'm getting really screwed on this car and I'm a single Mom that bought this thinking would be reliable car. Please Ford Motor company recall the entire car... DON'T BUY THIS CAR. I DON'T RECOMMEND IT AT ALL.

Ford sent a recall notice stating transmission programming needed an update due to rough shifting and slippage. I took the car in for the recall and was notified the clutches needed replaced at the cost of $2500. I feel the need for the clutch repair was a direct result of the recall correction.

I have had issues with the transmission check engine light, over heating causing me to wait up to 10 minutes to cool down, shuddering when driving and now a complete failure of the transmission. I had it towed twice to the dealer only to be fixed. It’s sitting there now waiting to hear if I will be having to pay for it. Enterprise car sales (who sold me the car a little over a year ago) apparently knew of the issue when they sold me the car. Enterprise car sales should inform the buyer of this problem prior to selling a vehicle with a recall notice.

I bought a 2014 Ford Focus in 2014 with 30 miles. Right now, I have almost 60,000 miles. I have been having numerous issues with this car. Around 40,000 miles it started to stutter a lot. The other day I was driving home on the highway and my car said transmission overheating. I was about 30 minutes from my house. I had to turn off my car and wait for it to cool down. Ford needs to recall the vehicle because too many people have been having issues with it. I still owe 15,000 dollars on a car that isn't worth **. Ford has very little regard for its customers. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy this vehicle. Stay away from this vehicle.

I purchased a 2014 Ford Focus brand new with less than 100 miles on it in May 2015 and it has just a over 21k miles on it (as of July 2016). Initially I thought the shuddering was from me "gassing it" too hard but I would be pulling out a driveway going no more than 5-10 mph and it would shudder. I would be at a stop light and when it would turn green it would shudder or jerk. I have noticed, passengers have noticed it. Ford sent a letter in May/June 2016 saying to bring the car in to have the "main computer" reprogrammed, 3 hours of work and it STILL jerked and shuddered.

I did my research and found that people with 2011-newer Ford Focuses and Ford Fiestas have the same issue, some have filed class-action lawsuits or filed Lemon Law in their states. Being that this car is just a little over a year old to me, I'm bringing my car back to the dealership today to have them look further into this issue. I also spoke to the salesperson who sold me the car and hopefully we can find a resolution.

Ford Focus Company Profile