Ford Focus

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am the unfortunate owner of a 2013 Ford Focus. I have owned the car exactly a year. When I first bought it used from dealer I noticed a shuddering with acceleration. I took it in and they said there was nothing wrong with it. I had to get used to driving that since it drove much different than my Accord. I just kept thinking it was me. Flash-forward to this January. I am driving on interstate doing 70 and car stalls. Without warning. RPMs will skyrocket but car won't move. Transmission failure pops up. In the middle of this I am almost ran over by a logging truck. I get towed home. I take it in to Ford. They said it's covered and they "repair it" for free. I take it home, drive less than 50 miles and it begins to shudder and lurch me forward. The terrible road noise returns when speed's between 45-60.

I take it back. They "look at it" and say the codes don't appear and when driving it on the roads that don't go to that speed limi they can't get it to recreate. They keep brushing it off. I take it home driving about 50 miles. The car stalls uphill on interstate going 75. Again I am almost hit several times before I can get to the shoulder. RPMs skyrocket and I can't go. I pull over and then it off. Then it won't start. I finally get it to start and the shuddering is worse than before. It feels like someone is quickly slamming on the brakes between gears. Again 3rd visit to Ford and they say it can't be the 14m01 and 14m02 again and I'll be alright.

Well I take it home and it does it again. I call Ford. The lady said it matches all symptoms but she can't force repairs. Ford will not help past the first extended warranty repair. My car has dropped a lot in value. Not all repairs are on Carfax either. I can't even get rid of this car since it's basically valueless. Ford should buy this back above value and let me drive something I don't fear for my life in. This has gotten ridiculous.

Ok here's my story. I owned a 2014 Ford Focus. Nice looking car, red with tinted windows, bought it brand new. Car gave me problems at 2000 miles. Transmission light came on. Ok I said I'll take to the dealer. I took it at 5000 miles for the same reason and they said it's normal because I was pushing on the brake too much... Like stuck in traffic. I said ok sooo... Well they come with clutches and when you brake the clutches are on the transmission. Ok no one told me this when I bought it. Well I went off on the road again. The car begin to shudder at 10000 miles. Just bad got tired of it at 22000 miles. Went back to dealer and they said "you need new clutches." Ok put them on. Free. The car worked good for 3 months.

From 30000 miles to 440000 car would stall. Turn off by itself. RPMs would be at 2500 just parked or stuck in a red light... Left me stranded a couple of times. Went back again at 44000 miles. Told me "you need new clutches again." I said "** I'm filing lemon law case." I got a lawyer, filed Sept 2016 and now I can say I won my case. Ford bought my car back... Paid off my loan at 15k and gave me some money back. So to all the people that spend their hard earn money to buy yourself a vehicle... File a lemon law case. Get your money back.

Purchased a 2014 Focus in October 2016 with 20,000 miles from local Ford Dealer. Within a couple weeks I had to have clutch put in automatic transmission (shuttering - feels like someone that doesn't know how to drive with a clutch). Started reading up on issues online this is not a few vehicle with this issue. Was not a happy camper since I paid cash and now do not have the option money to put out on another vehicle. I asked for my money back but they seem to think this was all a joke. "All is being handling under warranty". Ok - however approx 2000 miles since the first clutch repair and the vehicle needs to go back into shop for same problem "shuttering". Consumer has to take off work to get vehicle back to the shop and find a way back and forth to work and home. I bought the car so I would have reliable transportation!

The dealer was aware of the issue and said they cannot replace the clutch until it is purchased and a warranty claim is made...WHAT. You willing state you knew but sold the vehicle and still are selling these vehicles with the problems not being corrected. Therefore, I have to take off work, find a vehicle or ride to work while my car is back in the shop. All the dealer can say is "it is a Ford issue" not the dealer. Funny I thought a Ford Dealer represented the manufacturer since that is what they sell. There seems to be no fixes for this issue except to continue returning and having the same issue fixed with the same issues. VW was made to be fair with the purchasers due to their error. Why isn't Ford responsible and giving us the option of returning our money that we have put out on purchase and I don't mind stating w/ tax I paid just over $15,000 and two weeks later the trade in value for this vehicle was $7000!! A great loss in value.

Shame on Ford especially from the clients that have stood behind them for years. I now know why others seek our foreign made vehicles! The Ford Focus is the worse vehicle I have owned. Another word of caution you will not get the gas mileage they state. I was getting 28 and as the clutch problem becomes more advanced your gas mileage will drop. I take my car back in this Wed and right now gas mileage is down to 26 and I am driving the same roads and speeds everyday. Where is the manufacturer and who holds them responsible!

January 12, 2016 I leased a 2015 Ford Focus with only 31 miles on it. The end of January I noticed quite a bit of shuttering but was told that the car will start driving correctly once I put 1500 miles on it and that it just needs to get used to my driving habits. As the next month came it continued to get worse so I took the car into the Ford Store in Morgan Hill in March to find out that I needed a new clutch. That was ordered and installed in April. The car continued to shutter, hesitate, and rattle. I've taken it in about 8-10 times within a year of having it. Each time they give me the same answer "It isn't giving us the number we need to see to have Ford engineering approve us to fix it." I've even mentioned that I feel unsafe while driving this vehicle because a few times on the freeway it didn't want to accelerate while merging on the freeway and I almost got hit by a Semi Truck.

I was given the number from the service advisor to file for a buy back if the problems continue, which they did so I filed a claim. The claim was denied and I was given no info on why. The Ford regional Manager of the San Francisco Region was supposed to call me with an answer but she explained it was denied by emails. The emails were addressed to a Mr. so I am assuming she didn't look into the case because I am a Ms. I have continued taking it in and recently got connected with the owner of the Morgan Hill dealership (Tim **) son in law whose name is Ryan. He sent me some deals he worked out on a trade in but I would have to purchase a 2017 or lease a vehicle that I did not like if I wanted to pay around the same price I am now. He said it was too late to get out of my lease but I could sell it to a private dealership if I wanted to. He did recommend that I have his technicians look at my vehicle one more time.

I started noticing a burning chemical smell that was so foul that I had to roll my windows down to breathe without it feeling like I was going to pass out so I took it in one more time. They had my vehicle for another 5 days and found a tag from a manufacturer part stuck in my exhaust pipe. The service advisor said that it was a coolant hose tag, and it was burning and melting which was the smell I was smelling. He said they would send it along with the results to Ford Engineering and give copies of everything to Ryan as well so we could look into a better deal with a buy back. I didn't hear from anyone for about a week so I sent an email and received a call from Ryan almost immediately. He stated that he had no idea what he was supposed to call me about but that he wasn't going to do a buy back and my only options were what he already worked out for me.

So I continue to drive my car that they say is fine, and that they say they are doing everything to help me but Ford Engineering will not agree to fix. This is my first experience with a dealership, and the reason why I went with Ford was because I wanted a dealership I could trust. This dealership was also referred to me from my boyfriend at the time who purchased a vehicle there a few weeks prior. When I was in the process of leasing the car my credit was not too good so the owner of the Ford Store called the bank who was going to give me the loan, and he had them do this favor for him so I could get the vehicle.

I feel like I am being taken advantage of not only as a consumer but a woman. If I was a man I don't think they would be giving me the runaround. I pay my payments on time and just want a vehicle I can feel safe in. I'm driving around in a vehicle that I can not drive more than 45 miles because of how bad it shutters after, I can not do my after work errands because of the shuttering and rattling sound it makes after stop lights and stop signs. I am limited to where I drive my brand new vehicle because it only does well on roads that do not have an incline. My vehicle does not even have 12,000 miles on it and it already feels like it's ready to give up.

I purchased a 2015 Ford Focus for my wife Sept 2016. I'm so disappointed with this car. And can you believe how much the value drop on this car because of the transmission. The problem we have when taking off, it feels like the car is jerking. I must say it a pretty car with a bad transmission and need to be recalled, or give owners full price on trade in.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

I purchased a 2013 Ford Focus last year from CarMax and my experience has been awful. When I hit the gas to take off, the car shudders and even stalls sometimes, jerking me backward. The design is nice but the parts and build is terrible. The car has under 40,000 miles and the ride is rough. I can feel the car shift. This was my first car purchase and I regret it. This morning, out of nowhere, a transmission fail alert light came on along with my check engine light. I had to get the car towed to CarMax. This car has under 40,000 miles on it. I wish I had bought a different brand. Please don't buy this brand. A few months ago, my seat belt malfunctioned and CarMax had to fix it. CarMax has been lovely, this car is a piece of junk.

I am so incredibly livid with Ford Motor Co and their handling of the transmission issue. They knowingly continued selling a car with dangerous transmission issues for 5 YEARS (and complaints would have started coming in during 2011 and 2012)! PLEASE DO NOT EVER BUY THIS CAR - YOU WILL GET TO ABOUT 30,000 MILES BEFORE THE TRANSMISSION NEEDS REPLACED. I purchased it at Charles Gabus Ford in Des Moines IA from a sales rep named Erica. They refuse to acknowledge their mistake to this day.

I asked Erica while purchasing the car about the reviews I read online, to which she laughed and responded that it was a bunch of baloney, and we literally had an argument over whether there was an issue while I was test driving the car. She insisted there was not. I felt obligated to purchase a separate $1000 warranty just to make sure they weren't screwing me over, because I had a bad feeling they were. The car had 22,000 miles on it, and right now, only has 24,500 and the issues everyone has described on this forum have already begun. I have two friends dealing with the same problems: one in a much worse boat than I am.

When I purchased the car, I just had back surgery the week prior, and simply needed a car with a nice, adjustable seat. I was only a week after surgery when she swindled me. This company and car are complete garbage. If I bought a $100 product that is crap - whatever, shame on me, no big deal. But a $14,000 product? SHAME on them! There is a class action lawsuit you can join for anyone who has also fallen victim to this fraudulent car. Please join it if you are having issues and let's show them how bad their business decision was. They don't care about anything but the almighty dollar - and now the "best selling car in America" is ruining people's finances and putting their lives in danger.

We have a junkie 2012 Focus that is in shop for 3rd trans. problem. First time was a month after we bought it in 2014 as a certified pre-owned Ford. It was fixed under the extended warranty Ford added because they knew they had issues. Car always made funny noises but was told it's normal. 2nd time the trans. went out they replaced all the clutches and seals because they were shot. Once again covered under Ford's warranty. Now 5 months later told by dealer that trans. is junk and needs to be replaced and it's not their fault and not covered under Ford's warranty. Even know they just worked on it. They even went as far as to say it was the way we drive. Now we are fighting with our warranty company that we bought when we purchased the car whether or not it covered. We will never buy a Ford again and hope it gets fixed so we can sell it even know we will take a big loss.

2012 Ford Focus, purchased new has only 31k miles. A problem developed with the fuel level gauge indicating full when in fact was near empty. Subsequently emissions codes PO420 and PO456 came in indicating catalytic converter problems. This problem has been known to Ford since 2013 and is described in multiple Technical Service Bulletins. The problem is identified as a faulty Evap Purge Valve. Ford although well aware of the potential for motorist to become stranded on the road has failed to proactively acknowledge this as a major safety concern.

This car has been to the dealer for (3) separate recalls none associated with this issue. This car has a safety problem Ford has been aware would develop for 3 years or more. At 31k miles this car has become unsafe to drive, the fuel tank could be pulled into a vacuum and collapse, the fuel vapor canister could become flooded and ruined, the catalytic converter could be damaged, and the exhaust emissions/error codes the vehicle would not pass an emissions inspection. This cannot pass emissions inspection. Ford's only response is "your 3 year warranty is up. It's your responsibility."

My car has run great for 49k miles, even the dual clutch auto transmission. It has quite a bit of power for a small car, the engine is very impressive, mpg is around 35 and I really like the firmness of front seats. I give it a little extra gas on takeoffs and go really fast at times from 0 to 60 which is good for the transmission and should blow some of the carbon buildup on back of valves.

Do not baby this car, drive it like a manual... I even put it in L gear and run it up to 4,000 rpms just to scrub clutch... I use mostly synthetic on oil changes and engine looks brand new under the oil cap. High Octane gas is good too for a direct injection engine so I do that once a month. This my 2nd Focus (bought a new 2007) and both have been very good. The 07 has 170k and still on road. I would buy another new Focus because I think they have dct kinks mostly worked out

Since day 1 my 2014 Ford Focus has had a shuttering transmission problem. It's been back twice for computer updates that does absolutely nothing to help. Car shutters and shakes on starts and shifting. If you're driving on snow or rain slicked roads, it's worse. Scary to be accurate. From what my research tells me it's a design problem in the new clutch system. Now I am hearing grinding noises as I'm sure all of the jerking is causing undue wear and tear on the transmission. Driving in snow is particularly dangerous. The car backs and is hard to control. Hoping for some answers soon. Not bull that they have been feeding all of us.

Have everyone beat... I bought my 2013 Focus se certified used from Ford dealership November 2015 with roughly 44000 miles. Car was fine for the first few months a little shudder here and there. Out of nowhere the transmission problems came. First the transmission shift fork was replaced then some evap controller went bad and it was replaced only to need my catalytic converter replaced as a result. Then the transmission release bearing went out had to be replace. A few weeks ago a wheel being went out had to be replaced. Then the clutch went out had to be replaced took several weeks to receive clutch had to drive the car entire time slipping and jerking because I was refused a loaner and was told the vehicle was safe to drive.

Now just today on the way home from work I was driving on i95 doing 70 mph. The transmission jerked out of gear redlining the tach and causing me to swerve and pull off the road all while the car was jerking. Guess what? No loaner car again! Are you ** kidding! Tow truck driver said he’s already towed 5 broke down Fords in the past 6 hours alone. I’m expecting a call in the morning saying either my clutch is bad and the vehicle is safe to drive while your part is on back order for approximately 90 days, your release went out again, or I need a new transmission. I haven’t even put 12000 miles on the car! Every time I’m told this is normal and I probably just need a tcm reset or update and it ends up being something else. I’ve drove off the lot with the car doing the same thing it did when I took it there. I transport my child and wife in this car! Everyone I know says to ditch the thing.

All this in one year, this has got to be the most unsafe car I’ve ever driven. I’m so upside down in the thing because the value dropped almost $6000 since I bought it and I added extended warranty. When I get the car back it is going goodbye. Idc what it takes. It is embarrassing to have to get rides to work every other week because my 2013 car is broken down AGAIN and I can’t even get a damn loaner. Yea Ford really cares about their customer **! I will never buy another Ford period. They could give me one and I wouldn’t even give it away for free. They are so bad. Just ridiculous man seriously people work hard to afford these things and they don’t have the decency to own up and keep a loyal customer. Our only other car is a 99 explorer that just keeps chugging and they say they were known for issues HA! Found On Road Dead is such irony I’m a firm believer.

I bought my 2014 Ford Focus SE new and was told about the dual clutch but was not told about all the problems with it. I figured it would take me some time to get used to. I just cannot get used to the overheating transmission and having to wait till it is ready to drive and all the pulling it does when accelerating. I took it in for servicing for the recall and after I took it in it's gotten worse. Now I need to replace the clutch and other things on the transmission and it's going to cost me over $2000. I hate myself for trading in my still running older vehicle for this awful vehicle that I hate driving. Never again Ford! Never!

I've been driving 2015 Focus for 18 months - back in shop again for transmission issues. Repair parts are on month long or more backorder. Transmission fails to shift or go into gear at all creating dangerous situations on the road. The transmission starts making sounds when vehicle is unlocked - before turning engine on

Transmission Hot warning comes on telling you to "stop safely" and "wait for five minutes." This is a dangerous vehicle to drive - do not purchase for any reason.

I bought a new 2013 Ford Focus 3 years ago. I have had continuous problems with the transmission and now I am having fuel tank problems. The transmission problem was due to a recall. I have brought the car into the Ford dealership 4 or 5 times and the problem is still not solved. Four months ago, the engine light came on. When I brought the car to the Ford dealer, I was told that there was an issue with the fuel tank. The capless filler inlet, for filling the gas tank, caused a vacuum that collapsed the gas tank. This is now causing the car to run out of gas when the fuel gauge is between 1/2 and 1/4 full. The car is also running very, very rough. The Ford dealer informed me that to fix this gas tank problem would cost me $2,000.00.

As I feel this is unacceptable in a 3 year old car, I called Ford Customer Service and was told that this problem is not on the recall list. I have researched this issue on the internet and have found that this is a problem with many Ford Focus vehicles. I was also told by the Ford dealer that if I lived in CA, this problem would be fixed by the dealer at no cost to me. I find this grossly wrong. Why should it matter where I live? There is either a design issue or not! I am extremely upset that I have to pay $2,000.00 to have the gas tank issue fixed for an apparent design problem because of where I live.

This is a 2016 Ford Focus that had numerous recalls and bad reviews. It has been a wonderful car with only a few issues that were able to be resolved... fuel pump, ignition switch, electric door locks, etc. Gas mileage has been excellent, great performance... overall a great little car. Good or bad Ford service dept. makes all the difference... I have had both.

Transmission issues. New type of transmission in 2013 Focus sucks. Hesitation, grinding and fear of lurching forward. Ford will not fix after several so called upgrades done. I have always been happy with Ford cars until now.

I bought a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium brand new in late 2013. The reason I bought it was because I needed something RELIABLE to get me back and forth to work, school, and home. I traded in an '89 Chevy that I had been toying around with when I was in the service, because it was more of a toy than a reliable car. My family has owned Ford Focus' in the past, and I even owned a 2007 which was everything I could have asked for in a car; it was reliable, got great gas mileage (35mpg or so) and it never broke down.

I have had this 2013 Ford Focus Titanium in and out of the shop now 4 times for transmission issues. The first three times, they told me they could not see what I was talking about, with the stuttering, hesitation, jerking, poor gas mileage (28mpg) and lack of acceleration. Each time they simply reset the computer and said "It needed to re-learn my driving habits." I decided to just live with it, as it is the only car I have. Don't get me wrong, it was never fixed, I just put up with it, and got used to it. Others would sit in the passenger seat and ask me "Why is it shifting like that?"

Here we are just over 30,000 miles and I barely made it in the dealership yesterday. By the time I parked the car, it would not even shift into reverse. I drove in first gear with my hazard lights on to the dealer. They have not had time to look at it today, but said they "think it's the TCM, as they've seen this before." I will not keep my mouth shut on this one because I feel I bought a lemon. This is now the fourth time in with the same complaint, except this time it is UNDENIABLE. This is unacceptable, and my father who has worked at Ford for the last 20 years is embarrassed he recommended this car to me.

I bought this car 1 year ago. I wish I knew about the transmission problems. My car problems has just started. It's automatic. It sputters on take off and reverse is failing. 28K and this car is falling apart. I am praying for a class action to force Ford to address these problems. I have an Explorer that was TOP notch. Can't figure how and why this car was a disaster. Ford should do the right thing especially to their faithful clients. Find and fix these problems and regain the trust we have in this brand. I am hopeful the CEO of this company will hold someone accountable... PS After reading the reviews on fixing failures, I'll just wait on the recall with a real solution...

I purchased this car brand new in March of 2015. The car was great and I loved it. Initially I had a terrible experience with keeping the tires inflated. It seemed every week or less I was having to put air in at least 1 tire. Finally, I spent nearly $1000.00 to replace the tires. Then all was good again until... two and a half weeks ago the check engine light came on. The car was having a difficult time shifting. So I took the car in to Ford for "repairs". All went well as far as them "repairing" the vehicle. However, a couple of days after I got it back, it started doing other things. When shifting gears at higher speeds, the car revved up light it was accelerating, but only momentarily. Then I noticed the shuddering that so many have complained about, particularly at the lower speeds or when taking off from a stop.

I also noticed when I started the car, it idled very high and loud for about a minute. I know I have a lot of miles on it, 80,000, but should a car act this way only when it's still so new? Should these additional issues that I am having be considered "coincidental" as stated by the service agent? Really? They are happening now after the so-called "repairs" were made?

This is my 4th Ford vehicle I've owned in my life and my 2nd brand new of the 4 I've owned. Yes, I owned a Pinto and a Ranger and neither one gave me issues like this even though they were several years old. My 1st new Focus never gave me issues and it was an SE model. Now I have this Titanium, top of the line in the Focus world and I have to deal with this? If this is Ford's way of deterring current customers to NOT purchase their vehicles in the future, it's working. I hope they will stand behind their product and fix a KNOWN issue along with the other issues that have "coincidentally" begun after the last repair.

I purchased my 2014 Ford Focus at Kirkland Ford on 9/4/13. Since that purchase date, I have had to have the clutch replaced three separate times over the time I have owned the car. The dates of the actual repair and replacement of the clutch are as follows: 1st Repair occurred on July 1, 2014, 2nd Repair occurred on May 14, 2015, 3rd Repair occurred on March 21, 2016, 4th Repair Pending Clutch/Transmission is slipping again. For each occurrence, I have had to make an appointment with the dealer, told the part was going to take between 60 and 90 days to order and be received by the dealer prior to installation and repair.

In each case, the time it took for the part to arrive at the dealer was in excess of 63-84 Days. During that time I continued to drive the car as recommended by my Service Advisor at the Dealership while the part was on order. As advised by the Ford Service Provider (prior to having the repair completed), I drove the car out of necessity to drive to work and take my Daughter to school, sporting events, etc. In each occurrence from a stop, the car would shimmy and shake out of first gear and into second gear resulting in a uncomfortable feeling while commuting and traveling to my designated and required destinations. This same situation occurred three times (see the repair dates above). In each occurrence, a loaner car was requested by me from the Ford Dealer, in each occurrence the request was denied.

I continued to drive my car in "substandard" running condition based on the length of time it took Ford to re-engineer, re-design, test and ship the part required for replacement (see description and part number of part above). During the duration of the repair I borrowed a car from a friend to get to work. The most recent occurrence began on or around 12/18 15. Again, the part took 12 weeks to arrive. Once the part arrived, the dealer replaced the part. After the repair was completed and I was notified to come and pick up my car, I drove out of the dealership (I picked the car up after hours at the Ford Service Center). I noticed that the car Idled and ran very rough, it did not do this any time prior to the most recent repair.

At that point, without another way to get home, I drove the car home and decided to address the issue the next day. The following day, I noticed the message center in the dash no longer worked. Immediately following the failure of the message center, the battery died and stranded me in a parking lot with my daughter. I had to call a friend to come and pick us up. I jumped my car and drove it to our neighborhood repair facility, this was closer than the Ford Dealer. That same evening, we decided (with the help of a friend) to bring it directly back to the dealer for an evaluation and repair. Since they had just replaced the clutch assembly, I thought it was a result of the repair as it did not have those issues prior to the repair or anytime while I owned the car.

After speaking to the Service advisor the following day, he told me I needed a new Wiring Harness and Top Motor Mount. The repair for those two items would cost in excess of $1,000. I questioned him about cost of the repair indicating that it did not have those problems with the instrument cluster OR the rough idling (this was a result of a broken top motor mount) prior to dropping the car off for the clutch replacement. The service advisor told me there was nothing more he could do and it would cost $1000 to repair the car. I then spoke to the service advisor, Service Manager and General Manager of the Dealership, they all indicated that were not going to put any more time or labor into the car.

I told them the issue with the message center and the motor mount did not exist prior to bringing the car in for the clutch replacement. They repeated that there was nothing more they would do to “come and get the car”. I am requesting replacement of this vehicle due to the multiple clutch failures and ongoing issues in a vehicle that is two years old.

I purchased a "certified pre owned" Ford Focus from the Capital Ford in Carson City, NV. My boyfriend is a longtime Ford longer and I wanted something good on gas mileage. At the time, I had a Mazda CX-5 that was 75% paid off. So I decided to trade it in for a difference in loan amount and a BIG difference in price. I regret my decision immensely. I had researched since I know the Focus had some problems, and was under the impression the 2014 did not have that issue.

Since I purchased the car the shudder/stutter in the transmission has gotten progressively worse. I just got off the phone with the dealer after they had my vehicle all day, and they told me they have "reprogrammed the transmission and there was some small clutch slippage". All I can think at this point is "and so it begins." I am FULLY expecting this issue to happen again and I am devastated I traded in my NICE, reliable, valuable, CX-5. I will likely be trading the car in within the next couple months and I hate to say it, it probably won't be a Ford. I'm sad, scared, and annoyed because I also just bought my first house prior to that. I don't understand why for such a good company they have never done an official recall on this problem but continually push through half a** attempts at fixing it temporarily. What happens when the warranties run out?? Thanks Ford. You've really done people like us who just wanted a reliable commuter a solid. :/

Purchased a 2014 Ford Focus November 2014. After several months I started to notice the shudder when accelerating which got progressively worse. Several trips to the dealership where they performed several software updates which were supposed to address the issue but never fix the sputtering/jerking. Car got worse in February 2016 and started to jump forward (as if popping the clutch on a standard). I was told the clutch needed to be replaced. However there was a 3 month wait. I contacted Ford and was able to get the clutch replaced within weeks. September rolls around and the car starts to sputter again and I call the dealership and have to wait almost a month for an appointment. They end up replacing the clutch again even though the car has under 20,000 miles.

After picking up the car I noticed it was much louder than before and you could feel and hear it shifting as if the car was lagging - not sputtering. Now the dealership is telling me the car is fine and within their threshold. I can't blame the dealership as they have done everything they can to assist in resolving this known issue. I am now stuck with a car that I owe more money on and they can't resolve the problem. I've reached out directly to Ford but they aren't helping. Like many others this issue has caused numerous hardships and inconveniences. Most notably I am stuck with a car that has known issues and if I were to trade this car in I would get considerably less than what I owe. I had hoped Ford would have done the right thing and assisted in correcting the issue or getting me into a new car. Neither has happened.

I purchased a pre-owned 2012 Ford Focus from a Honda dealership. Shortly after my car started hesitating and not going into gear. It has an automatic 4 cyl transmission. After doing some research, I took it into a local dealership and found out there was in fact a problem with the transmission. Ford had issued a warranty for the "transmission shutter". I took it into Harris Ford in Lynnwood, WA. They told me this model had a bad design, that it has a dual clutch system being shifted by a computer. They replaced my clutch and told me the problem would probably come back. I drove it for a little while, the problem did come back, it hesitates when starting from a stop, you can hear the car try to find the gear, (it's like someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick trying to find 1st gear- grinding). When it finally finds the gear it jerks and sputters.

I took it back in and the service rep told me they could do a software upgrade. It has now had two software upgrade and still has this problem. When I spoke with the Regional service manager for Ford, he basically said there was nothing they can do but give me a "family discount" on another car. I still owe on this lemon! I owe more than its worth! But I'm stuck with this POS because Ford doesn't want to step up and admit they made a huge mistake?!? What happens when my car hesitates when pulling out into traffic and I get hit? I have had an independent mechanic look at my car, he stated it needs a transmission. I just want a safe car! I'm making payments on a car that could kill me!! I tried reaching out to Ford customer service, this woman Dorothy just told me to contact the dealership. WOW! Why does no one at Ford care?!?

I bought a 2014 Ford Focus new. It now has 30000 miles and is going in for the second clutch. Has been reprogrammed at least 4 times. Had an Impala and never ever should have traded it. Ford should give people refunds for their screw ups instead of offering longer warranties. Nothing like putting a band aid on a wound and ripping it off.

We just purchased a 2015 Ford Focus and only had for a month and took it into Ford for shuddering. They tell me there's nothing they can do about it doing it cause they ran the electrical test and nothing shows up and Ford won't allow them to do anything more to my car if it doesn't show on the electrical test. We purchased this car from Hare Chevrolet and paid cash for it. I read all reviews on this car and all having transmission problems. This to me gives Ford a bad name. I hope they recall these transmissions and soon. I'm so upset. Every last penny we had!!

Well this was my first "new" certified used car from Ford. I bought it with approximately 40,000 miles on it. Within the first few weeks I felt the shudder as I would come from a stop. Was first told by a Ford dealer to clean out the clutch plates by taking it on the interstate and gunning the engine to 95 miles per hour, which sounded absolutely ridiculous in the first place. I then took the car in to have the clutch replaced at 50,000 miles, at a different dealership nonetheless. The car is a vehicle that is driven everyday, by myself or other people in my family, including a dialysis patient. Took the car in last week to check on the shudder again, now it turns out the clutch is going again, after being told by the service worker at the dealership that I drive it too much. I'm sorry I didn't know that you weren't supposed to drive a car that you have financed. It's supposed to sit in the driveway and collect dust and bird crap.

Now they want me to pay 1200 dollars to fix a part that is faulty from the beginning. There is absolutely no way I'm going to pay 1200 dollars every 6 months for a new clutch when I have a 5 year loan on the car. That's 12,000 dollars! I only owe 9,600 dollars on my loan. So what am I supposed to do with it when the parts are inferior and Ford refuses to help fix the problem?

First, the good. The dealership has been supportive and easy to work with, especially since they're inundated with these lemon cars. They've repaired the car as best they can several times, and I've not been charged for the fixes. That exhausts the good news. The bad: I bought this 2012 Focus SEL new in August 2012. It is now getting ready to go in the shop for the FOURTH time for clutch/transmission problems. The recall has been serviced - TWICE. The PCM has been reprogrammed at least 3 times already, and in addition to the recall work (they're replacing seals, not much more) the entire clutch assembly has been replaced at least once (it may have been twice - to be honest, I no longer remember). THE CAR ONLY HAS 63000 MILES ON IT.

The mechanics at the dealership have been brutally honest and I believe they're doing their best, which makes the situation actually MORE dire, since it leaves me with only one conclusion: the car cannot really be repaired. All of you know the drill - transmission slips, brake fluid levels (it shares a reservoir with the clutch assembly) report as too low, shudder on takeoff from a stop. The resale value has understandably cratered - I paid 20K for the car in 2012, and would be doing good to get 6 now. As it is, I would feel guilty selling it to someone else, knowing what I know, and I'm in no hurry to give Ford any more of my money.

At this point the only thing I can honorably do is get it fixed (AGAIN), and hope its next failure is at 99,500 miles, so I can hit them up for one last repair before it becomes my expensive problem. At that point, I'll probably donate it to charity. The sad fact is, it's actually a fun car to drive and gets great gas mileage. If Ford could have fixed it, I would gladly have kept it for years to come, and likely would have bought another.

2015 Ford Focus Ecoboost - I had issues with the car, but that's cause it was my fault. I was launching at 4500 rpms in a front wheel drive. Dumping the clutch was fun until it snapped my rack and pinion. It completely messed up the car. Parts flying everywhere. Had to pay deductible to get fixed. After that the car was fine. One night I was driving up the 5, steep freeways, I was at 4000 rpms in 4th gear, next thing I know, the car shakes and I drop nearly 2000!! Rpms. Luckily I was able to pull to the side. I lost 2,4 and 5th gear. They fixed it, no questions asked. This was I believe at 10k miles (I can be wrong) now it's almost at 22k, car drives like a dream.

Out of nowhere, I was starting from a hill, the clutch makes a weird groaning noise and then stops, like it's struggling to get the car going and I feel a loss of power. Not a lot, but just enough to be noticed. Don't know if they replaced the transmissions with a 2015 model. I have a feeling my clutch is slipping or my throw out bearing might be bad.

From stopping the car is horrible at accelerating and chugs and sputters. Horrible to drive in town. There needs to be a recall. Looking at other consumer reports - this has been an issue for years. Just bought this car with very little mileage and feel completely ripped off.

Ford Focus Company Profile