2.93/5
Based on 61 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Ford Focus

The Ford Focus is a compact car that has been around since 1998. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

1414 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I have to rate the Ford Focus the bottom in quality of vehicles we've owned. The reason I say this is that we've bought two Focuses for our daughters, a 2012 and 2013 models, for them while they are and were in their college years. From the beginning we've had nothing but trouble, transmission wise, with both vehicles. It all pertains to the automatic transmissions and their problems of slipping from first to second gear. Up until today, 12 August, 2018, both vehicles have had their transmissions rebuilt twice each. Today, our 2013 Focus would not even go into gear and had to be towed to the Ford dealership. This is a total of five times that, between both vehicles, they have had to spend days in the shops having transmission work.

The mechanics that we've spoken to at the Ford dealership are aware of these issues. They say that it is a common, known mechanical issue with the years and models. The inconvenience of having to take time off from work and headaches from dealing with these issues is not worth it. The vehicles are great looking cars and are good with price for starter vehicles for a high school or college student. The mechanical issues and the headaches that go along with these issues make the Ford Focus a bad buy. If I had to recommend a starter car for anyone starting out, until the Ford Motor Company does something with the transmission issues, I highly do not advise anyone to buy this vehicle.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Bought the car in May 2013. Was driving to Florida Jan 24, 2015 (18,397 miles). Car lost power on I-95 to Florida, Ford came and towed the car to Burns Ford Mercury in Lancaster SC (603 286 4414). Car lost power on I-95 going south. Burns had to keep the car overnight and got it fixed the next afternoon. Repaired wiring Harness. Car seemed to work ok for a bit. Jan 3, 2017 car lost power and one would not put the car in gear. Had it towed to Champion. Ford kept the until Jan 31. 1st they replaced the clutch and then realized there was an issue with the transmission. Lost the transmission they ordered (?), had to order another. Replaced the transmission with a New transmission not a rebuilt (was told they usually use rebuilds for cars under warranty), A case was open with Annette at Ford (**) at the end Annette offered an extended warranty for a additional 3 years (36,00 miles).

Feb 17 car made a whining noise and then there was another noise. Took the car back to Champion but they could not look at it right away. I was leaving for Florida, so they kept the car for 2 ½ weeks, Came back, told me they heard no noise. April 7, 2017 the car had the same issues as Jan 3. (new case no.**). Could barely get it into gear and it made a terrible shaking and jerking noise. Had it towed (again) to Champion where I picked up another loaner. Was told there was an issue with the NEW transmission. I called Annette (April 9) to tell her that the car issue was not resolved. She told me Ford did as much as could. AND the file was closed. I did ask if I got a lemon, her tone changed, got very defensive and read me what the PA Lemon laws were but did not tell me any updates to the law.

Finally got the car back April 27. They rebuilt the transmission and did work on the clutch, which was fixed on Jan 3. I have a very strong feeling that there is no fix to the issues. I paid for the clutch in January, just after I paid for the clutch. They came out with a recall BUT only for automatics (?). I got a notice from Ford and was told it did not apply to my car by Champion. If it did not apply why did I get the notice. Same issues that are going on with the automatics are going on with manual cars. So obviously there has been problems and Complaints.

I tried to solve this issue with the Ford Family but not happy with the outcome. I feel the car is unsafe to drive as it gives no signals when this loss of power and clutch does not work. No lights. Just stops working. What would happen on the freeway or if one was making a turn on a busy street. I go out of town and cannot take this car. My request is for you to reimburse me for the cost of the clutch AND to do a buyback.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2018

My Ford Focus is very reliable and dependable. I like it very much. It is also very good on gas mileage. I love the fact that it has XM radio. It is better than traditional radio. I like the unique blue color of my car. I am pretty happy with it already but add more safety features.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I love this car and it is my second of this model. I like the interior space, hatchback, four door access, cupholders. The colors, the features, the reliability and safety of this car are my favorites. I have actually had several accidents in my first one of these, walked away unharmed, and was able to economically repair the car and keep driving it. But dashboard could use bigger type.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I've had nothing but good experiences with this car. It's perfect for a family like mine. I have drove it in winter and it handled better than my old truck did. So I had to test the brakes and they work perfectly. I know my kids are safe because I almost got in an accident and had to push the brakes real fast and my kids barely jerked out of their seats. I love that it has a back-up camera when I back up I can see everything behind me. Especially when I'm trying to park backing up it will beep if I'm out of the line and it has red and yellow arrows to show me where to go.

It has a phone built into where I can have my hands on the wheel and talk on the phone at the same time. I can also send text messages. I like that it gets Hot fast especially in the winter, but it cools off just as fast. But I don't like the backup noise. Every time you put it in reverse it makes it really really loud beeping sound. And I wish it had heated seat switch. I also don't like that I can't control all the stations with the steering wheel because it doesn't work right.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Focus?

Original review: June 19, 2018

I love my Ford Focus. It's a great family car that's for sure. It has had all kinds of trips and it still going. It gets good highway mileage. However, I would like to be able to put different size tires on it. The Ford that I own only has low profile tires on it and that's the only size tire that can go on it. But other than that, I love the fact that it has 2 different places to anchor car seats. One is where the seat is and the other one is located where the back glass is. The anchors for the car seats is what made me want the Ford Focus over my other car. It was older and it didn't have the option for the anchors.

Original review: June 19, 2018

My experience with Ford Focus has been nothing but great and I always recommend Ford now. I haven't had an issue with it in the 3 years I've owned it. I love the car completely. I love the size and style of the exterior along with the features on the dash. It's just a flashy car, that's the right size, has lots of room for a small car, and runs very well. But not worrying about all the door latch recalls would be nice.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Wonderful experience. I love my car. The color of the car is a glittery charcoal and it is very pretty. The car is small, but also very fuel efficient. Great gas mileage, great turning radius, and comfortable. Great stereo system as well. I want to get a newer model in the near future. Although an improvement they could make to the car is to make the leg room in the backseat bigger. It is a four door car but the backseat is impractical for passengers.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Ford Focus was a very good car. It was a 2003, I bought it in 2004. It had 1 previous owner. It was my daily driven/work vehicle. It even took me to Arkansas and back (home to Florida) one time. I liked the air conditioning, cd player, power windows and locks, remote key entry (doors and trunk). It was in my price range. All my life my parents owned Fords, so it was a familiar brand to me. It was silver which is one of my favorite colors. But, I would have liked to have window tint, maybe a better sounding factory stereo. Also, it was a little bit slow on the pick up speed (acceleration)... Would like it to have been more like a 6 cylinder...

Original review: June 17, 2018

The 2001 Ford Focus was purchased used . From a friend. It was available and the price was right and the person who I bought it from allowed me to make small payments. It also was very well maintained by that person. It was just a filler need as I needed a second vehicle very badly. It is a very basic line car. And because it is an older model I find I'm spending a lot of money to repair and maintain that. It is hard to see it has very large blind spots. And I don't particularly like having a long wagon vehicle. I wish that they would do better with some of the mechanicals. Several of the window motors of gone out and silly things like that.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The car is great on gas. A little small but worth the price, the color is great. I get a lot of compliments on it, still has new car scent. Also gets me where I need to be. Just wish it was more spacious. Also, wish it had WiFi radio. Even so, I love my car and I'm lucky.

Original review: June 16, 2018

If I am recalling the correct Ford model (2014), then this batch of vehicles were all given a faulty part in need of replacement, which was an extra cost. The car was bought used, but still has, other than the faulty part, worked fine. It is comfortable although the headrests are quite large and difficult to see over, but the car is functional after having had the part replaced. I had had one of these vehicles in the past and liked its comfort and design. Already having owned a car like it before, I knew what I was looking for, but did not expect the faulty part. I would definitely, absolutely fix this car model's faulty part if I could, and I was would also definitely shrink the headrests, if only slightly, so they do not cause vision purposes for the driver, especially drivers with bad eyes.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The 2012 Ford Focus was terrible, I had so much trouble starting it most days. I would fix the clutch problem and then add seat warmers. But it rides very smooth. I can see how many miles I can drive and I am alerted if I have a low tire.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The car is roomy, great on gas, low to ground, easy in and out of late, enough for kids dogs and groceries. Easy to maintain, child safety locks and window locks. The car was affordable and nice at the time. Large backseat, large trunk space, great for travel, great cause nobody would want to steal it, great open views outside car you have clear view for driving and horn works great. It's loud as hell. However, it's ugly. The seat belts don't always latch, radio goes in and out, seats are bucket style which I hate, the color interior sucks, the car had rust already, hard to keep hood up, don't have stay up hood and the window motor goes out all the time.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Overall it has been somewhat of a hassle with the car itself but as far as the model goes I love it. It's nice and roomy, give you tons of space. Also make the shape of the car look nice! I actually had a 2005 Ford Focus before this 2016 Ford Focus so that's why I went with it! I like that it has Spotify and a back up camera! Also I enjoy how fast the heater and cooler turn on and work right away, makes me feel good about choosing this car. Also I love how it comes with two different levers to put your seat backwards or push it forwards, it's handy to deal with. However, I would add heated seat warmers because it doesn't have any! Also, I would make the window tint a bit more darker than how they come. If you naturally Tint windows at least do the favor of making it noticeable.

Original review: June 14, 2018

It's cheap on gas but also very stylish looking. It's sporty features also had played a big part and the color it came in which is dark blue. It also was a good price which was a huge impact on the decision. I also like the radio system that it came with. I like the lights on the inside but I don't like some of the cheap looking features that it came with. Such as no automatic seats and cheap looking locks and window buttons.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have had to repair this vehicle many times. I've had to make sure that I stay on top of things because if not it makes bigger problems. But it does save gas. It is good for long distance drives. Overall has been a good car once everything is fixed. I also like this over others because of the gas mileage. I like how it has cruise control, seat warmers, alerts with what is wrong with the car or what needs to be done soon. However, I don't like how it's so hard to get the lights to go off after the car is fixed. Once one sensor goes off a lot of other ones can go off too and it could be harder to find the problem with the car.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I purchased a used 2013 Ford Focus sedan, with 28,000 miles on it and loaded with all the "bells and whistles." I especially love the satellite radio, and it's a very roomy car. I did a lot of research on this particular car. Unfortunately, there have been a few recalls on this car, which was very frustrating, but then I guess no vehicle is exempt from some type of recall! I would have much better acceleration on this particular Focus.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My overall experience is very positive. There have been no major mechanical issues and no recalls on this model. I do wish I had bought a four door rather than a two door for more space, though. My car is a five speed and I prefer driving a manual transmission because I feel like I have more control over the vehicle, especially in bad weather. I like the dashboard and the interior lights as well. However, the window crank is very difficult to turn where it is located. I actually find it almost impossible to turn the crank while driving because it takes too much time. The cup holders are in a bad place, making it very difficult for both passengers to access drinks while the driver is shifting, too.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I purchased this car online after my primary vehicle was totaled in an accident. It wasn't my first choice although over the years it has proved itself to be a very dependable car. The gas mileage could be better but overall a very inexpensive car to maintain. However, I have had to replace and have the generator worked on two times once under warranty and another time after the warranty had expired. The interior of the car is cramped in places as well. It is more of a one or two passenger car for comfort. Not something you would want to take for long trips with more than two people.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The price of gas was going up to 4.00 a gallon and this vehicle is very good on gas. But I wasn't really impressed with my vehicle. There have been too many recalls for 1 car. Was having to take personal time for these. The motor for my front window burned out and I haven't replaced it. There wasn't a lot of options to choose from. I was used to driving Dodges and wanted something different. Also, the vehicle is too low to get in and out of. I had a hard time driving this vehicle in the snow. Maybe the vehicle was too light. The price was right but wouldn't buy again.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I can travel high speeds in comfort. It drives smoothly. I noticed when I test drove. I was considering other SUVs but I liked the smaller car. It has heated seats and the speakers are nice. It heats up very quickly in the winter. I also get up to 37 miles per gallon when driving on the highway. It's cheap to fill up the tank since it's so fuel efficient. Also, I love the leather interior. It drives very nicely and has amazing feature such as Bluetooth connection, sync. But some of the information on the screen is difficult to click through. There are different color lights in the interior. I also wish the back seats had heated seats. And the back seat is a little bit cramped. I wish my chair could be raised a bit higher.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Ford has known about their "Electric Power Assist" problems for many years and have had several of their models recalled. However, they REFUSE to do anything about the Ford Focus which have many complaints about the same problem (Steering Problems). WHY? I am wondering if those of us who own a Ford Focus should get a class action lawsuit against Ford Motor Company for deliberately putting people's lives at risk with a KNOWN PRODUCT DEFECT and refusing to do anything about it. Complaints have been going on for YEARS about this issue with this model car, and NOTHING has been done to correct it. Again, WHY?

I am a Senior Citizen who relies on this vehicle, and the Steering Assist malfunction code is constantly on. This puts my life at risk, as well as others, and I have done research about the cost to "fix" this problem, OVER $1,000 (One Thousand) dollars. Some places/dealers will charge up to OVER $2,000 (Two Thousand) dollars for the same "fix". I will NEVER buy another Ford product because of their refusal to recall a KNOWN, LIFE ENDANGERMENT Defect after YEARS of complaints.

Original review: June 9, 2018

It's a great vehicle to drive on. I love the hybrid and their type. I love their brand and they have great brands from other dealership. They sell used and new cars from automotive. They also have good storage. But I didn't like the price because they cost a lot.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I bought a used Ford Focus and I liked the color of the car which is a unique green. I liked the mileage that it had. I was told it was a safe car with good brakes and I thought it would be a safe car for me and my family. But it doesn't get good gas mileage. I am not satisfied with the car and it was a bad purchase. It has tinted windows which I am not used to. The car could be improved to make it get better gas mileage and add a moonroof. I don't like that it doesn't have a better stereo and that it doesn't have the backup camera. However you get that you pay for.

Original review: June 8, 2018

It is safe and reliable for my needs. Economical, fuel efficient, compact and easy to drive. And to handle in rain and snow make it a safe vehicle. I wish the engine was a little bigger and had more power and the care accelerated faster and quicker. Better image and feel of car maybe would be better and a larger trunk and cargo space. Other than that, I like the sleek look and comfortable seats. Airbags and multiple safety features included, dependable tires and strong braking system.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We have had problems with the Ford Focus Hatchback from day one. We like that it's automatic, silver in color and has sun roof and leather seats but between recalls and mistakes by the dealership it was in the shop more than it was driven. The recalls have to be repeatedly fixed; clutches and transmission problems. We researched and spoke to dealership. They wouldn't take car back. We had to research information on lawsuits. Basically we are stuck with it. Can't believe Ford got away with releasing this car. Wish we had done more research before purchasing. We are really unhappy and will not buy Ford again.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Car has good handling ability and turn radius. I am glad that after 8 years, engine and transmission are still original although transmission slips occasionally. For size, interior is fairly roomy and trunk has good capacity. But this car is a piece of junk cosmetically. Cheap plastic pieces fall or break with normal use. The Air conditioning unit always worked poorly. Now, it works almost not at all even though I replaced all components twice. Cost me a ton of money trying to get it to work but does not come out cold in hot Texas summers, though it is fully charged. Mirrors, Bumpers, Interior plastic pieces have all been replaced and repaired multiple times. Gas mileage is decent although it is declining after 8 years.

The car also has very loud road noise during ride. Cant do much about it but play radio loudly. The tires that came with the car blew out within the first month. Had to replace all of them for safety. The coating applied to the windshield caused a permanent glaze that made it glare. It was very hard to get off and took over a year to wear off. I am very dissatisfied with this purchase. It was a poor value for the money spent to purchase.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I looked at a lot of cars before deciding on a Ford Focus but my boyfriend and I ultimately decided it would be the best car for him and I (we share it) for multiple reasons. This is my first car. It has been very helpful to me and I am definitely loving it! It has the space I need and gets me where I need to go. It's great for gas too. There are few improvements I feel needed to be made though. My grandfather has always throughout his whole life believed that Fords were the top brand of cars and I have great trust in his judgement. This car has not let me down and I do not expect it to.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I drove a Ford Focus Hatchback when I had to rent a car. Despite not being a Ford fan, I liked the way it drove. So when I FINALLY found a Certified Used car in my price range, I was happy to see it was a Ford Focus SEDAN and I fell in love. I really love how it drives. I like the look of a mid size sedan. As silly as it sounds, one of my favorite features is the automatic lights! It is nice to have them turn on immediately when needed. I also really like having some controls on the steering wheel. I am always listening to music and when my kids start talking, it is easy to just move a finger for volume control without letting go of the wheel!

This might not be relevant in the end, but I am struggling with syncing my phone. It is really confusing for me, BUT I am that way with a lot of tech. But I do wish there was some less complex explanations of some of the cool features. Also, the vehicle needs a little more power and a little quicker than some cars. But for me personally, I prefer it over others. Overall wonderful experience thus far.

Not sure about Ford Focus?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Ford Focus Company Information

www.ford.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business