Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.50/5

Ford Focus

The Ford Focus is a compact car that has been around since 1998. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

1436 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 31, 2019

I have a 2012 Ford Focus biggest lemon ever. I hate my Ford Focus. Worst car I have ever owned. Now going on 2nd clutch which I am not going to pay for it. It's sluggish. The fan had to be replaced. Took back to dealership where I bought it so many times that they know me. Don't even get me started with all the recalls. Now that I need to trade they give you nothing even tho I keep taking it 24/7 to them about all the transmission and other things. Ford needs to stand up and take this problem and do right with us. Not give us cheap price. I paid over 16 thousand for this car for this piece of ** car. Never will buy a Ford again.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I bought a 2012 Ford Focus in 2012. The car now has 30k only, but early this year I needed to change its battery. Worse still, the clutch needed to be replaced, and it happened to be 7 days after the warranty expired unfortunately. Ford is charging me $1500 for repair. Ford just sucks, never buy a car from Ford!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2019

As a long time consumer of FORD cars, I’m utterly disappointed in my 2016 Focus. I had a 2007 Focus that had next to no service done besides standard tires, oil, and brakes. It had over 200,000 miles. I replaced it with the 2016 Focus and I could not be more disappointed. I absolutely hate driving it! There are transmission issues that I’ve come to find out Ford has not properly recognized. The dealership “fixed“ the transmission but it has not rectified the problem. I can’t wait to be able to get rid of this car that I really and a few months! Ford is losing a loyal customer.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Bought a 2013 Ford Focus, 25,000 miles, lease car. You would think this would be good right? A day after we bought it, my daughter notified me that it was jerking. When we took it to Ford we found out that it was the automatic clutch. That was in May 2018. It is now May 2019 and we just got it back again. The car wouldn't start and it was diagnosed with TCM. This is another major issue; Remember we've only had this car a year with 25,000 miles on it. How can all this be happening? This is the worst car ever and I have had many of them. Also, for people that are taller like six foot even if they are slender, it is hard for them to get in and out of the vehicle and maneuver around. Think twice before buying this vehicle.

Original review: May 2, 2019

WARNING: DO NOT BUY A FORD!!! I leased a 2016 Ford Focus with full intention of buying the vehicle after 3 years of making the lease payments. About 4 months after driving the brand new car, it started to shake. I called the dealership and brought it in numerous times and was told they could find nothing wrong. I then brought it to another dealership and they immediately found that the transmission had a clutch problem that could be fixed. Not only that, but that it was a very common problem and was something that would need to be fixed every 6-12 months depending on how much I drove the car.

I am currently doing the Ford Buyback Program where they buy back the poor, inferior made product that they put out, but at a small fraction of the money I paid. If I sell them back the car, I will lose most of the money I put into the car, and if I keep it, I will need to bring the car into the repair shop every 6-12 months. Ford wins either way. The problem is not that there was an issue with the car, as things happen, the problem is that when Ford has the opportunity to make things right, instead of standing behind their product as a reputable company will usually do, they use that opportunity to again profit at the misfortune of someone who was dumb enough to buy a Ford product.

I am not writing this to tell anyone not to buy a Ford Focus (they are no longer making them because there were so many problems and complaints). I am writing this to tell you not to buy any type of Ford because not only do they put out inferior products, they do not stand behind their products and take care of complaints when they arise.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Focus?

Original review: April 27, 2019

I purchased a 2016 Ford Focus S, October/ 2016 brand new. 10 months later I took the car into the dealership because the car wasn't driving properly. It would stall going up a hill, stutter after going over speed bumps, it wouldn't accelerate when trying to merge onto highway or after a stop light. It would change gears while driving; you could hear it switch down. Mind you this car is not a stick shift yet it drives like one. So they discovered the car's transmission has a problem with the clutch and they replace the clutch. After that it drove better; so I thought a few months later I took the car back and I'm told they just need to reset the clutch. This resetting of the clutch happened 4 more times between 2017 and 2018.

Here we are March 2019 I take her in to Ford because I have check engine light on and the car is doing the same mess as before. I'm told they checked the transmission and it's good and we reset the clutch again. I then get beyond irritated and contacted Ford Motor Company to file a complaint. I'm given a case worker and #. I go through a series of emails and then take car back to Ford. They now tell me the clutch has to be replaced for a 2nd time. I then have to wait 2 weeks as they don't have the parts. So last week the car went in for the replacement. I pick up the car and without touching the accelerator the car is making the horrible noise. I put my foot on accelerator and it gets worse, drove around the corner and right back into the service bay.

I'm told it's probably the new clutch. The service manager comes out, gets in car with me and immediately says "that doesn't sound good at all" then we go back in garage and he drives car and realizes I'm not crazy. He takes car back to tech and after 20 min tells me that the tech who worked on my car is deaf and we didn't follow up and test drive the car and the axle was not tight. I followed up with case manager about this service and question Lemon Law. I was told car was past time limit and I would have to seek arbitration if I wanted to.

Today Sat, April 27th stopped to get gas, the car was completely off, nothing was on in the car and car wouldn't start, no lights, no beeps, nothing. Called AAA. Tech comes, open hood, removes battery cover, touches the cable on top and says "this is the problem, cable isn't on and not tighten." He lifted it right up with no problem at all. He tighten it and jumped battery to start it. I drove straight to Ford to have them inspect it again, because apparently they aren't checking to make sure my vehicle that I drive every day is fully functional and safe. This is my first Ford product ever and it will be my very last. I will seek out arbitration and I do expect for Ford to compensate for all of my time wasted on dealing with a problem they refuse to acknowledge.

You have bad transmission in these vehicles and I have spoken to several people who had Focus or similar Ford cars with the same issues. When I brought the car in back on Feb for oil change I was told that I need a comprehensive alignment that cost $300 and I asked case manager to provide that as a courtesy and was told no. It's as if Ford does not care about the customer and their overall safety. I absolutely hate Ford and as soon as I am able to get out of this car I'll be happy. Angry and Dissatisfied Customer.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I purchased a 2014 Ford Focus from Kingdom Chevy in Chicago, IL. Since the first day of purchase, I've had issues with the transmission. I was told the stalling in the transmission is normal because that's how the car was built. But the problem is getting worse. I've been taking my car to get it inspected at Metro Ford in Chicago, IL. I've had the TCM replaced and clutches replaced but I'm still having stalling and jerking issues while driving. I just paid Metro Ford $1,850 out of my pocket in December 2018 to have my trans clutches replaced. Now, 3 months later, I'm having problems with the trans again. I take my car back to Metro Ford and they tell me it's not under warranty because the problem now is the clutch forks, not the clutches I had replaced in December. So I paid almost $2000 to have trans work done on my car and 3 months later you tell me I have another trans problem but it's a different part? Are you kidding me???

Now Metro Ford refuses to fix my vehicle and Ford Corporate office is no help either. I've called Ford Corporate office several times but all I get is complaint numbers. No one ever tries to contact me about the issue I'm having with my vehicle. So I'm forced to drive a dangerous car every day because this is the only vehicle I have at the moment. I've almost had so many accidents in my car due to stalling and jerking. And it's really bad when I'm driving on the expressway. I'm forced to drive this car because I have to get to work every day. I work an hour away from home. This is not right at all. Ford does not care about its customers. I regret purchasing this vehicle. I will NEVER purchase another Ford vehicle again in my life. Buyers BEWARE!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I purchased a 2014 Ford Focus brand new. After six months, I started having problems with the clutch. They were aware of this and said they were working on a fix. Eventually, they did get a fix. During the clutch issues, I also had transmission issues where they had to replace my transmission twice. After 9 visits to the mechanic over a two year period. Not to mention, one time taking it in, the mechanic yells at me saying "What do you want me to do about it!" I reported him and they offered me a free oil change. Ha!

I finally filed for lemon law. Ford refused to respond to my lawyers. I kept having issues until one day I took it in for another transmission fix to find out I now need a new motor (3K). I thought it was covered under warranty. But they said it was not and refused to fix it as I was 700 miles over the 75K warranty. I have been complaining over and over that the car was not responded correctly, but FORD refused to acknowledge my issues and now again refused to fix my car. So I turned it in. I had to have transportation to get back and forth to work.

They finally settled out of court for 6K. (Not lemon law, but warranty something.) My lawyers got half and I was left with 3K. I still owed 17K on the vehicle. They sold the vehicle at auction and sued me for 12K. So not only did Ford refuse to settle lemon law while I still had the vehicle, they refused to fix my motor with all the transmission and clutch issues I had with only 700 miles over the warranty. FORD CREDIT, my financing company owned by FORD, sued me for the balance. I now have to pay $250 a month for the next four years for a car I don't have. I have owned four FORDS in my life, I will never buy another.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I'm given a 1 star because it won’t let me give it no star. I brought a 2015 new...as in I’m the only owner. Have had the transmission replaced 8 times. Got it back today after transmission work and a fuel recall. Took it in because car makes a grinding noise when I make a turn and told it’s a $1400 fix...what. It’s an internal issue with the steering...huh. "You have passed your warranty..." Excuse me. "No recall so you have to pay." So my understanding is. It’s a internal issue that could kill me at any time that I didn’t do anything to cause and you want me to pay. Doesn’t seem right. This car has given me nothing but trouble. Ford should just take back these cars because they are developing issue after issue.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I leased my 2015 Focus in July '15. I took it back 5 days after picking it up as the transmission didn't feel right. I was told it was fine. March 2016, had the clutch replaced for the 1st time. September 2016, had the clutch replaced for the 2nd time. I was told it was a redesigned part, and I won't have any more issues with it. Sept 2017, had the clutch replaced for the 3rd time. July 20185, clutch had to be replaced for the 4th time. Seems like every 6 months it needs a new clutch. I'm looking at ending my lease early as I have no faith that sometime soon it will require another clutch. Dealership won't help other than Ford will just keep fixing it. So in 3 years and only 57,000km, this car has been through 4 clutch replacements. I'm going to Hyundai.

Ford Focus Company Information