Ford Focus

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

So I got into a car accident back in September of 2014 and that winter I bought the 2012 Ford Focus SEL. At first it was an amazing car and I loved it with all of my heart because it got amazing gas mileage and Bluetooth. Loved the car. Well once I graduated high school and started driving the car longer distances, there were more and more problems with it as I went along.

First: The radio started giving me problems. The speakers would make a firecracker noise throughout the vehicle whether I was driving or not driving. We replaced the speakers because we thought that maybe I had just blown the speakers or something like that. After that the problem still continued and then the radio would turn itself off one its own while I was driving. We replaced the radio and then the battery to my car started to go bad so now 5 batteries deep into the car I still have no radio and the speakers don't make the noise but that's only because they are disconnected.

Second: The weather strip on the drivers side door is completely ripped up and I have no idea why, BUT we did find out that the car had been in an accident and the drivers side door is a replacement and whatever they did they did not make it flush nor did they do a good job fixing it because the door slams against the frame of the car (NOT A GOOD THING).

Third: Now I have seen and heard about the stuttering when accelerating. I have learned that if you turn off traction control that problem goes away, but you have turn it off every time you get into the car. SO that's a huge no for me. They have told me that they could fix it but every time they've "fixed it" it happens again. SO I was told later on that there is an unnecessary part in the transmission that once it's taken out there's no more stutter.

Fourth and final: There is multiple water leaks throughout the car. I can find one, get it fixed and another seems to show up. I have replaced anything and everything to prevent the water leaks, but nothing seems to fix it and there is no leaks or holes in the trunk where the spare tire is and there is always water in there regardless. So overall I have had this car for about 3 years now and I HATE it. Like the level of hate I have for this car is massive.

I am living a nightmare because of my one year old today Ford Focus 2015. From the start it made a rattling sound on acceleration, shuddered, and was slow to accelerate. I traded my very reliable Ford Focus ZXW wagon with 271,000 miles on it for this piece of junk, and at purchase it was NEVER DISCLOSED TO ME that I was buying a car that had a different kind of transmission than the other Focus did. The sticker which I still have, reads AUTOMATIC on this vehicle that has a faulty transmission which is the worst thing that can be wrong with any car.

In October, the dealership that sold it to me kept the car for five days to diagnose the problems. I called every day to see what they had found out and I was met with a stony silence and told the transmission person hadn't had time to look at it yet. When they finally called, the arrogant woman behind the desk told me she had driven it several miles and heard no rattle, so they had not done anything to the car at all in those five days. Are you kidding me? I took it back in again for the same complaints plus the windshield wipers froze in the middle of the windshield and the gas gauge did not read I had put gas in it. Again, they told me there was nothing wrong with the car.

So I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and they arranged with Ford for an engineer to go to the dealership and look at the car. He found that it needed a new clutch which they put in this week. Upon driving the car home, I found that the rattle was gone and now it makes a chirping, squeaking noise on every left turn. This is my family's only car. I emphatically told the salesman at the time of purchase that despite my financial situation from being a single mother for decades, my family needed reliable transportation, and at 271,000 miles, I didn't know how long my Focus wagon could provide that and so I felt I needed to buy a new car. And even knowing all that PLUS the problems inherent in this transmission since 2011, they sold me this nightmare of a car.

The stress of this is too much for me. I bought a new car to avoid the stress of having a broken down car and am stuck with a car with a bad transmission and who knows what they damaged while putting in the new clutch that now causes the squeak on left turns? I am afraid they won't take responsibility for that either. All I want is a car with a real automatic transmission that I can depend on. That is what I was sold, and Ford needs to stop robbing its loyal customers.

Leases/Purchased a 2013 FORD Focus. Received a letter in the mail from Ford telling us they extended the transmission warranty to 100,000 miles. (6 Trips) We had (3) problems prior to April 2017 with the Focus transmission. They either put in some new part or reprogrammed the computer. The fixes lasted for a short time, but the problem always came back. April 2017 we ask for the transmission to be checked because it is jerking the car quite extensively. They call back, tell us the transmission needs parts they will be ordered. They call and tell me the car is done and I go pick it up. I drive to work the next day and as I am parking, the Transmission Fault light comes on and it says service now, I have no reverse and cars in front of me, so I leave it where it is. Call Ford, they do not know what happened. I tell them to come get it and get me a car.

The service department calls and tells me my transmission failed because I need a new battery. It will be $195.00. I call BS on the transmission failing because of a battery, but what can I do, they have my car. We agree to pay for the battery, but not labor, because I can put a battery in my car. They call and tell me my car is done and to pick it up. I come to pick it up, paperwork says I owe $195.00. Is there anything that this department does right? Again the person at the counter fixes their mistake and only charges me the $125.00 (for a battery to fix a transmission). I take the car home. I go to pick up my daughter from school, and the transmission fault light turns on again, and I no longer have reverse. We call, they come and tow it again that evening, leaving me without a car, while I still have the responsibility of bringing kids to school in the morning.

They call now and tell me that my clutch is missing a gear and that FORD will not fix it under the warranty because it has nothing to do with problem. My car had reverse just fine when I brought it to them, now all of a sudden it does not have reverse. How many times does this have to happen to have FORD own up to their failure and fix the problem?

On Jan 2 I bought my 16 year old granddaughter a Ford Focus 2012 that it would a good safe car for her to drive. Boy was I wrong. Two weeks after we got it the transmission start making a loud noise. Took to ford dealership was told it ok. It had to get over 250 before ford would fix it. Since then the car is running hot, the cooling fan is not working to the voice and gotten worse and now it's making more noise. Took it AUTO zone for them to put a machine on it to tell me everything that is wrong with but ford has ease everything on it. Taking it back to ford tom and see what lies they tell me this time. It's not safe for a 16 year old driver let alone anyone else.

Okay, so 3 years ago we purchased a 2014 Ford Focus because we needed reliable transportation before my husband went off to boot camp. Well here we are 3 years later; we have kept up all maintenance and oil changes on this car no problem. We pay $200/m car insurance and also pay $375/M for the car. 1st of all the loan company they put us with tried to repo our car while my husband was in boot camp, when law states that they were legally not allowed to do so... including while he's active duty!! Anyways... my husband was on his way to work and the car SHUT OFF!!!

I have taken this car to the ford dealership we bought it from back in Texas and also 2X here in California. Well they have yet to fix it!!! It shutters, the computer box fell out when we were driving. We owe the finance company $18,000 and right now I do not want to pay them a dime for the crap Ford has put us through. Now my husband is without a car for a long while and he is in the military, he CANNOT miss work by any means, and now on top of that, I can't get to work or take my child to her therapy. Thanks Ford for screwing over a poor family that was in desperate need of a RELIABLE car for our child!!! THIS COMPANY DOESN'T EVEN DESERVE ONE STAR!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

The transmission started shuddering at only 12,000 miles. At first at thought maybe it was normal but it just keeps persisting. Ford is in the process of fixing it now but IDK how that's going to work out based on some other reviews. Thank god I spent 2 grand on a 75,000 mile warranty that includes a free rental.

In Jan 2016 I purchased a brand new 2015 Ford Focus and paid almost $26,000 in cash figuring at my age (66) this car would last me for a while. What a piece of CRAP. At 300 miles it went it for a transmission problem. At 6000 it went back in again. I wanted to trade it in and they said it would only be $130000 for a new car with only 6000 miles fully loaded. I called Ford to buy it back. They refused stating I did not qualify for a buyback. Knowing that while drive on a highway, they state the car could just "lose power" and basically I could be killed. There was nothing they could do about it.

Research now I see the problem existed for over 3 years and Ford did nothing. Now I have a car I am afraid to drive. I feel in some way this constitutes fraud, knowing they had a problem and it CANNOT be fixed. I just got my car back a week ago, it bounces and hesitates, and smells of something. Probably transmission fluid leaking again. I will be putting the car back in soon but I don't know why I leave it parked in the street instead of my driveway with the hopes it will be hit and totaled. DO NOT EVER BUY A FORD! I am now out $26,000 because if I traded it in I could only get a used car.

I bought a 2016 Ford Focus automatic. Thought they fixed the transmission. I keep going back to Ford and they keep re-flashing transmission next time they have to replace clutch. This is a lemon transmission that jerks from 1st to second and has shifting issues. This should be illegal to sell this car as is. I cannot believe there is not a proper recall on these.

Traded my truck for a Ford Focus to have better gas mileage. Three months in, had issues with the car, dealership fixed the problem, but now they won't help me with the other issues it is having, like with the steering, saying it's used. Went to make a turn I've done everyday for last several months, car didn't turn, and went into the ditch, now it's at the Collisoin Center. Researched the vehicle and Ford has 24+ recalls on this vehicle, and nobody is doing anything, the steering issue is dangerous and should have been recalled but wasn't. Ford saying it wasn't a problem and no one had been injured because of it, only have had the car for 1 1/2 years, this car should be removed from everyone's stock and not be sold, it's a lemon made by Ford. I only have this vehicle to get to work, now I don't have anything to drive. Ford should be held responsible for this vehicle, I could have been killed or killed someone else. Just lucky it was only me in my car.

I bought a 2014 Ford Focus in December '13. The car has been absolutely horrible and a huge safety hazard. I later found out that all Ford Focus models have the same issue. The transmission is faulty and the car continuously shakes, grinds, shudders, stops, and jerks while driving. I have brought this concern up to the dealership numerous times and nothing has been done to alleviate my concern. The service manager and mechanics accept the issue but they don't do anything to fix it. THIS WAS MY WORST BUYING EXPERIENCE EVER AND THIS CAR IS A HUGE SAFETY HAZARD. DON'T BUY ANY FORDS. The customer service is very unpleasant and the cars are absolutely faulty and unsafe.

I am the owner of a 2015 Ford Focus. Unfortunately I cannot say it has been a positive experience. When I purchased the car I noticed the transmission lunging and slipping in and out of gear. I took in the car to one of our local Ford Dealerships here in El Paso, Tx in January 2017. They replaced the clutch, and now March 13, 2017 it's in again for repair doing the same lunging forward and slipping in and out of gear. Unfortunately they don't loan a car to valued customer. Several days with no transportation. Now to wait for how long will the Ford Dealership have our daily transportation. I would advise future customers to do a full investigation on this model before you sign on the dotted line. Or any other brand.

I've been an owner of a 2014 Ford Focus going on 2 years & I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND ANYBODY TO BUY THIS CRAP. When I first bought the car in 2015 the dealer told me that the jerking I felt was because it was a gas saver, he LIED. It has gotten worst over time and 3 weeks ago my car engine light came on while I was driving on the interstate and my car just stop driving, was still running but not going anywhere and I could've been killed. Thank God I was able to hurry up and pull over. I took my car to the dealership and it took them 3 weeks to call me.

About my car saying it's not them TCM they was able to reset it but it was my clutch and it will cost about 1900$. I'm not paying for something that is not my fault. Ford knows that this is their fault and they need to fix the crap at their expense or recall call these cars that are having these issues instead of selling people these lemons trying to make us pay for it. I've been having troubles with this car & I wish I've never bought it.

I purchased a 2013 Ford Focus, including the original, I have gone through 5 transmissions. Ford has replaced them all for free and extended the warranty to 100,000 miles. Now I have 60k miles on the car. Ford tech said this will never be fixed and in 2018 they are coming out with a new clutch. I have wasted my money, purchasing this car.

I purchased my 2013 Ford Focus in 2014. While test driving the car sputtered. I thought that it was strung but the salesman said it was normal. I purchased it anyway but the sputtering and jerking began to get worse. I took it in they said they reset it and it would be ok. It drove fine for about a month and the problem continued.

In June of 2016 I had my son take it in because I was out of town. The dealership told me that it would be $125 charge for them to diagnose the car to find the problem, I told him the extended warranty notice stated I could bring it in as many times as needed without a charge. That was not the case. I paid for the diagnosis and was told that the clutch was going bad. Fast forward to present day 2/25/17. My car starting jerking on the highway and stalling, RPM went haywire and then the car stopped. It's at the shop now and I was told the clutch needs to be replace and it would cost me $2000. Ford Motor Company needs to take responsibility and repair every car with this transmission malfunction.

I purchased my 2012 Focus in 2014. I have nothing but issues with the car taking off shuttering and not having power. I also had it to where it would not even start. Now the shuttering is still the same and the last time I had it fixed it hasn't even went ten thousand miles yet and it's doing it again. They fixed the door recall latch so they say, but they said the shuttering is not bad enough to diagnose. I think Ford owes Consumers something for this to be such a huge problem. I will never buy another Ford. I will also be passing along this info as well and make it known to not waste your money on a car that a Company doesn't even stand behind their product. Worst car I have ever owned.

I financed my Ford Focus almost three years ago and it was the most beautiful car I ever purchased and it sat on the floor not outside. I never test drove it but drove a Fusion. The same day driving it home I stopped by my sister's home to let her see it and my nephew got in back. He shut the door only to be locked in. No it was not on childlock. The whole door had to be replaced. I let my sister drive it the next day while I was at work to run my errands and she was telling me how it shuttered. I have an automatic so it's not the clutch. I thought maybe it was trash in the system so I used a fuel cleaner. I could hear my valves rattle so I keep the oil changed. Nothing I have tried has helped with this shutter. It's a beautiful red car to act up like that especially with an extra 10k on the price tag.

Has taken my car in with transmission issues. 2 dealerships have checked it. One said it needed clutch, but did not get to it. I called to check on how long before I can pick up car. Service guy said they was working on it. To make story short he lied after face to face contact. At that time they had my car sitting park in lot and never touched it until I told him I will take car to another dealership. The car had sit there over a week and they was telling me they was working on it.

All types of lies I was given. Ran into problem in shop, at that time they never move the car or touch it while lie into me they was working on it. I cannot get any dealership to fix my transmission. I would like know why Ford want purchase these cars back. This is the first Ford car I have purchased and last. Need to find out what can I do to get rid of this junk. This went in the shop a week after I purchase it, there had been nothing but stuttering, jerking, noise, you name it. I will never purchase another FORD.

I am the unfortunate owner of a 2013 Ford Focus. I have owned the car exactly a year. When I first bought it used from dealer I noticed a shuddering with acceleration. I took it in and they said there was nothing wrong with it. I had to get used to driving that since it drove much different than my Accord. I just kept thinking it was me. Flash-forward to this January. I am driving on interstate doing 70 and car stalls. Without warning. RPMs will skyrocket but car won't move. Transmission failure pops up. In the middle of this I am almost ran over by a logging truck. I get towed home. I take it in to Ford. They said it's covered and they "repair it" for free. I take it home, drive less than 50 miles and it begins to shudder and lurch me forward. The terrible road noise returns when speed's between 45-60.

I take it back. They "look at it" and say the codes don't appear and when driving it on the roads that don't go to that speed limi they can't get it to recreate. They keep brushing it off. I take it home driving about 50 miles. The car stalls uphill on interstate going 75. Again I am almost hit several times before I can get to the shoulder. RPMs skyrocket and I can't go. I pull over and then it off. Then it won't start. I finally get it to start and the shuddering is worse than before. It feels like someone is quickly slamming on the brakes between gears. Again 3rd visit to Ford and they say it can't be the 14m01 and 14m02 again and I'll be alright.

Well I take it home and it does it again. I call Ford. The lady said it matches all symptoms but she can't force repairs. Ford will not help past the first extended warranty repair. My car has dropped a lot in value. Not all repairs are on Carfax either. I can't even get rid of this car since it's basically valueless. Ford should buy this back above value and let me drive something I don't fear for my life in. This has gotten ridiculous.

Ok here's my story. I owned a 2014 Ford Focus. Nice looking car, red with tinted windows, bought it brand new. Car gave me problems at 2000 miles. Transmission light came on. Ok I said I'll take to the dealer. I took it at 5000 miles for the same reason and they said it's normal because I was pushing on the brake too much... Like stuck in traffic. I said ok sooo... Well they come with clutches and when you brake the clutches are on the transmission. Ok no one told me this when I bought it. Well I went off on the road again. The car begin to shudder at 10000 miles. Just bad got tired of it at 22000 miles. Went back to dealer and they said "you need new clutches." Ok put them on. Free. The car worked good for 3 months.

From 30000 miles to 440000 car would stall. Turn off by itself. RPMs would be at 2500 just parked or stuck in a red light... Left me stranded a couple of times. Went back again at 44000 miles. Told me "you need new clutches again." I said "** I'm filing lemon law case." I got a lawyer, filed Sept 2016 and now I can say I won my case. Ford bought my car back... Paid off my loan at 15k and gave me some money back. So to all the people that spend their hard earn money to buy yourself a vehicle... File a lemon law case. Get your money back.

Purchased a 2014 Focus in October 2016 with 20,000 miles from local Ford Dealer. Within a couple weeks I had to have clutch put in automatic transmission (shuttering - feels like someone that doesn't know how to drive with a clutch). Started reading up on issues online this is not a few vehicle with this issue. Was not a happy camper since I paid cash and now do not have the option money to put out on another vehicle. I asked for my money back but they seem to think this was all a joke. "All is being handling under warranty". Ok - however approx 2000 miles since the first clutch repair and the vehicle needs to go back into shop for same problem "shuttering". Consumer has to take off work to get vehicle back to the shop and find a way back and forth to work and home. I bought the car so I would have reliable transportation!

The dealer was aware of the issue and said they cannot replace the clutch until it is purchased and a warranty claim is made...WHAT. You willing state you knew but sold the vehicle and still are selling these vehicles with the problems not being corrected. Therefore, I have to take off work, find a vehicle or ride to work while my car is back in the shop. All the dealer can say is "it is a Ford issue" not the dealer. Funny I thought a Ford Dealer represented the manufacturer since that is what they sell. There seems to be no fixes for this issue except to continue returning and having the same issue fixed with the same issues. VW was made to be fair with the purchasers due to their error. Why isn't Ford responsible and giving us the option of returning our money that we have put out on purchase and I don't mind stating w/ tax I paid just over $15,000 and two weeks later the trade in value for this vehicle was $7000!! A great loss in value.

Shame on Ford especially from the clients that have stood behind them for years. I now know why others seek our foreign made vehicles! The Ford Focus is the worse vehicle I have owned. Another word of caution you will not get the gas mileage they state. I was getting 28 and as the clutch problem becomes more advanced your gas mileage will drop. I take my car back in this Wed and right now gas mileage is down to 26 and I am driving the same roads and speeds everyday. Where is the manufacturer and who holds them responsible!

January 12, 2016 I leased a 2015 Ford Focus with only 31 miles on it. The end of January I noticed quite a bit of shuttering but was told that the car will start driving correctly once I put 1500 miles on it and that it just needs to get used to my driving habits. As the next month came it continued to get worse so I took the car into the Ford Store in Morgan Hill in March to find out that I needed a new clutch. That was ordered and installed in April. The car continued to shutter, hesitate, and rattle. I've taken it in about 8-10 times within a year of having it. Each time they give me the same answer "It isn't giving us the number we need to see to have Ford engineering approve us to fix it." I've even mentioned that I feel unsafe while driving this vehicle because a few times on the freeway it didn't want to accelerate while merging on the freeway and I almost got hit by a Semi Truck.

I was given the number from the service advisor to file for a buy back if the problems continue, which they did so I filed a claim. The claim was denied and I was given no info on why. The Ford regional Manager of the San Francisco Region was supposed to call me with an answer but she explained it was denied by emails. The emails were addressed to a Mr. so I am assuming she didn't look into the case because I am a Ms. I have continued taking it in and recently got connected with the owner of the Morgan Hill dealership (Tim **) son in law whose name is Ryan. He sent me some deals he worked out on a trade in but I would have to purchase a 2017 or lease a vehicle that I did not like if I wanted to pay around the same price I am now. He said it was too late to get out of my lease but I could sell it to a private dealership if I wanted to. He did recommend that I have his technicians look at my vehicle one more time.

I started noticing a burning chemical smell that was so foul that I had to roll my windows down to breathe without it feeling like I was going to pass out so I took it in one more time. They had my vehicle for another 5 days and found a tag from a manufacturer part stuck in my exhaust pipe. The service advisor said that it was a coolant hose tag, and it was burning and melting which was the smell I was smelling. He said they would send it along with the results to Ford Engineering and give copies of everything to Ryan as well so we could look into a better deal with a buy back. I didn't hear from anyone for about a week so I sent an email and received a call from Ryan almost immediately. He stated that he had no idea what he was supposed to call me about but that he wasn't going to do a buy back and my only options were what he already worked out for me.

So I continue to drive my car that they say is fine, and that they say they are doing everything to help me but Ford Engineering will not agree to fix. This is my first experience with a dealership, and the reason why I went with Ford was because I wanted a dealership I could trust. This dealership was also referred to me from my boyfriend at the time who purchased a vehicle there a few weeks prior. When I was in the process of leasing the car my credit was not too good so the owner of the Ford Store called the bank who was going to give me the loan, and he had them do this favor for him so I could get the vehicle.

I feel like I am being taken advantage of not only as a consumer but a woman. If I was a man I don't think they would be giving me the runaround. I pay my payments on time and just want a vehicle I can feel safe in. I'm driving around in a vehicle that I can not drive more than 45 miles because of how bad it shutters after, I can not do my after work errands because of the shuttering and rattling sound it makes after stop lights and stop signs. I am limited to where I drive my brand new vehicle because it only does well on roads that do not have an incline. My vehicle does not even have 12,000 miles on it and it already feels like it's ready to give up.

I purchased a 2015 Ford Focus for my wife Sept 2016. I'm so disappointed with this car. And can you believe how much the value drop on this car because of the transmission. The problem we have when taking off, it feels like the car is jerking. I must say it a pretty car with a bad transmission and need to be recalled, or give owners full price on trade in.

I purchased a 2013 Ford Focus last year from CarMax and my experience has been awful. When I hit the gas to take off, the car shudders and even stalls sometimes, jerking me backward. The design is nice but the parts and build is terrible. The car has under 40,000 miles and the ride is rough. I can feel the car shift. This was my first car purchase and I regret it. This morning, out of nowhere, a transmission fail alert light came on along with my check engine light. I had to get the car towed to CarMax. This car has under 40,000 miles on it. I wish I had bought a different brand. Please don't buy this brand. A few months ago, my seat belt malfunctioned and CarMax had to fix it. CarMax has been lovely, this car is a piece of junk.

I am so incredibly livid with Ford Motor Co and their handling of the transmission issue. They knowingly continued selling a car with dangerous transmission issues for 5 YEARS (and complaints would have started coming in during 2011 and 2012)! PLEASE DO NOT EVER BUY THIS CAR - YOU WILL GET TO ABOUT 30,000 MILES BEFORE THE TRANSMISSION NEEDS REPLACED. I purchased it at Charles Gabus Ford in Des Moines IA from a sales rep named Erica. They refuse to acknowledge their mistake to this day.

I asked Erica while purchasing the car about the reviews I read online, to which she laughed and responded that it was a bunch of baloney, and we literally had an argument over whether there was an issue while I was test driving the car. She insisted there was not. I felt obligated to purchase a separate $1000 warranty just to make sure they weren't screwing me over, because I had a bad feeling they were. The car had 22,000 miles on it, and right now, only has 24,500 and the issues everyone has described on this forum have already begun. I have two friends dealing with the same problems: one in a much worse boat than I am.

When I purchased the car, I just had back surgery the week prior, and simply needed a car with a nice, adjustable seat. I was only a week after surgery when she swindled me. This company and car are complete garbage. If I bought a $100 product that is crap - whatever, shame on me, no big deal. But a $14,000 product? SHAME on them! There is a class action lawsuit you can join for anyone who has also fallen victim to this fraudulent car. Please join it if you are having issues and let's show them how bad their business decision was. They don't care about anything but the almighty dollar - and now the "best selling car in America" is ruining people's finances and putting their lives in danger.

We have a junkie 2012 Focus that is in shop for 3rd trans. problem. First time was a month after we bought it in 2014 as a certified pre-owned Ford. It was fixed under the extended warranty Ford added because they knew they had issues. Car always made funny noises but was told it's normal. 2nd time the trans. went out they replaced all the clutches and seals because they were shot. Once again covered under Ford's warranty. Now 5 months later told by dealer that trans. is junk and needs to be replaced and it's not their fault and not covered under Ford's warranty. Even know they just worked on it. They even went as far as to say it was the way we drive. Now we are fighting with our warranty company that we bought when we purchased the car whether or not it covered. We will never buy a Ford again and hope it gets fixed so we can sell it even know we will take a big loss.

2012 Ford Focus, purchased new has only 31k miles. A problem developed with the fuel level gauge indicating full when in fact was near empty. Subsequently emissions codes PO420 and PO456 came in indicating catalytic converter problems. This problem has been known to Ford since 2013 and is described in multiple Technical Service Bulletins. The problem is identified as a faulty Evap Purge Valve. Ford although well aware of the potential for motorist to become stranded on the road has failed to proactively acknowledge this as a major safety concern.

This car has been to the dealer for (3) separate recalls none associated with this issue. This car has a safety problem Ford has been aware would develop for 3 years or more. At 31k miles this car has become unsafe to drive, the fuel tank could be pulled into a vacuum and collapse, the fuel vapor canister could become flooded and ruined, the catalytic converter could be damaged, and the exhaust emissions/error codes the vehicle would not pass an emissions inspection. This cannot pass emissions inspection. Ford's only response is "your 3 year warranty is up. It's your responsibility."

My car has run great for 49k miles, even the dual clutch auto transmission. It has quite a bit of power for a small car, the engine is very impressive, mpg is around 35 and I really like the firmness of front seats. I give it a little extra gas on takeoffs and go really fast at times from 0 to 60 which is good for the transmission and should blow some of the carbon buildup on back of valves.

Do not baby this car, drive it like a manual... I even put it in L gear and run it up to 4,000 rpms just to scrub clutch... I use mostly synthetic on oil changes and engine looks brand new under the oil cap. High Octane gas is good too for a direct injection engine so I do that once a month. This my 2nd Focus (bought a new 2007) and both have been very good. The 07 has 170k and still on road. I would buy another new Focus because I think they have dct kinks mostly worked out

Since day 1 my 2014 Ford Focus has had a shuttering transmission problem. It's been back twice for computer updates that does absolutely nothing to help. Car shutters and shakes on starts and shifting. If you're driving on snow or rain slicked roads, it's worse. Scary to be accurate. From what my research tells me it's a design problem in the new clutch system. Now I am hearing grinding noises as I'm sure all of the jerking is causing undue wear and tear on the transmission. Driving in snow is particularly dangerous. The car backs and is hard to control. Hoping for some answers soon. Not bull that they have been feeding all of us.

Have everyone beat... I bought my 2013 Focus se certified used from Ford dealership November 2015 with roughly 44000 miles. Car was fine for the first few months a little shudder here and there. Out of nowhere the transmission problems came. First the transmission shift fork was replaced then some evap controller went bad and it was replaced only to need my catalytic converter replaced as a result. Then the transmission release bearing went out had to be replace. A few weeks ago a wheel being went out had to be replaced. Then the clutch went out had to be replaced took several weeks to receive clutch had to drive the car entire time slipping and jerking because I was refused a loaner and was told the vehicle was safe to drive.

Now just today on the way home from work I was driving on i95 doing 70 mph. The transmission jerked out of gear redlining the tach and causing me to swerve and pull off the road all while the car was jerking. Guess what? No loaner car again! Are you ** kidding! Tow truck driver said he’s already towed 5 broke down Fords in the past 6 hours alone. I’m expecting a call in the morning saying either my clutch is bad and the vehicle is safe to drive while your part is on back order for approximately 90 days, your release went out again, or I need a new transmission. I haven’t even put 12000 miles on the car! Every time I’m told this is normal and I probably just need a tcm reset or update and it ends up being something else. I’ve drove off the lot with the car doing the same thing it did when I took it there. I transport my child and wife in this car! Everyone I know says to ditch the thing.

All this in one year, this has got to be the most unsafe car I’ve ever driven. I’m so upside down in the thing because the value dropped almost $6000 since I bought it and I added extended warranty. When I get the car back it is going goodbye. Idc what it takes. It is embarrassing to have to get rides to work every other week because my 2013 car is broken down AGAIN and I can’t even get a damn loaner. Yea Ford really cares about their customer **! I will never buy another Ford period. They could give me one and I wouldn’t even give it away for free. They are so bad. Just ridiculous man seriously people work hard to afford these things and they don’t have the decency to own up and keep a loyal customer. Our only other car is a 99 explorer that just keeps chugging and they say they were known for issues HA! Found On Road Dead is such irony I’m a firm believer.

I bought my 2014 Ford Focus SE new and was told about the dual clutch but was not told about all the problems with it. I figured it would take me some time to get used to. I just cannot get used to the overheating transmission and having to wait till it is ready to drive and all the pulling it does when accelerating. I took it in for servicing for the recall and after I took it in it's gotten worse. Now I need to replace the clutch and other things on the transmission and it's going to cost me over $2000. I hate myself for trading in my still running older vehicle for this awful vehicle that I hate driving. Never again Ford! Never!

Ford Focus Company Profile