Ford Cars and Trucks

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

For the past few months I have had my 2006 Ford F-150 with the 5.4 Triton V8 3 valve in and out of the shop trying to rectify a rough engine idle when stopping. First I was told that it had to do with a clogged fuel filter which was changed at a charge of $214.00 but I still had the same problem. Next, I was told that the air filter intake hose was clogged with leaves which was another charge of $180.00. Well, the rough idle persisted. So, at 88,000 miles I decided to let my mechanic do a tuneup which I was told would be around $450 that's if he didn't break any spark plugs.

Well, day one I get a call and 3 spark plugs had broken off in the head. The next day I get a call and my mechanic was able to remove 2 of the broken off pieces but he couldn't get the third out. Day three I get a call and my mechanic explains to me that he tried to drill out the center of the stem and thread it so he could try and back it out. He got it to turn 4 times before it completely shredded and the piece fell into the #8 cylinder. So, he had to take off the head to get into the #8 cylinder to clean and remove all debris which he told me usually takes 21 hours.

So, a week later I get a call from my mechanic to tell me that my truck is finally ready. Yep, it was ready all right at a cost of $3900... quite a shock considering this all started out at around $450. Of course, I was pretty mad and my mechanic did take $600 off of the bill. But, he has lost my business and the Better Business Bureau will get a complaint on behalf of this fiasco. Ford has known about this problem for quite awhile now and from what I have learned may have rectified the problem by replacing the spark plugs of later models with a one piece plug instead of a 2 piece plug that when affected by carbon build up seizes in the cylinder.

Now, Ford states that the 5.4 Triton shouldn't have to have a tuneup until 100G miles. Yah, right!!! This is the second Ford product I have owned that has taken a good bit of my hard earned money. First was a failed transmission on a Mercury Villager that had only 62G on it. That fiasco cost me $2800. Now this total Charley Fox!!! Ford you have lost my business and will never get another dime out of me and yes I will be telling all of my friends to stay clear of Ford products.

I currently own 2 Toyota vehicles. One a 2006 Toyota Camry that has 120G miles on it and the only thing I have done to that car in 5 years is replace tires and regular oil changes. The second is a 1989 Toyota extended cab 4x4 pickup truck that has 178G on it and I have had to replace the starter, the radiator, the power steering pump and the alternator, which I repaired all on my own at a minimal cost. The engine is still as strong as it was when I bought the truck in 1990. Now, if that doesn't speak quality and reliability then I'm speechless. Guess who will be selling their F-150 and buying a Toyota Tundra. Ford get your act together!!! We are done!!

Despite everybody telling me not to buy a Ford, the 2016 Ford Explorer Sport fit my family's needs and we like the looks and performance of the vehicle so I bought one for my wife. On the way home from a day out celebrating Mother's Day with my family, the transmission went out on the freeway and we barely made it home. With only 4,000 miles on the vehicle, the transmission had to be replaced. In addition, the vehicle made a loud squeaking noise from the fans when you turn the car off, and the leather on the drivers seat is already starting to deform. The dealer fixed the transmission, but said there was nothing they could do about the seats or the fan squeak. They stated this was "normal." I have owned a lot of cars in my life, and in no way is this normal.

I then took the Explorer in for a routine oil change service, and the vehicle only had 5/32 left of tread on the tires. This seemed like very excessive wear for a brand new vehicle. A month or so later I took the vehicle back in to the dealer to have the tires looked at and they were down to 4/32. The dealer said that it was up to the tire manufacturer, and Hankook was only willing to prorate 25%. There is no way I should have to replace tires on a vehicle that is 1 year old with only 12K miles on it. Come to find out, Ford's New Vehicle Warranty is also supposed to warranty the tires and should cover 60% of the cost. I called Ford Customer Relations and what a disaster they are. I went back and forth for with them for a month. They never called me back as they promised, and some of the reps were extremely rude.

I finally get a supervisor who says that he worked it out with the dealership and that I will only need to pay $407.57 for new tires, and that Ford will take care of the rest. Not quite 60% but at this point, I just want to be done with this. I call the dealer and talk to the person I was told to ask for, and they know nothing about this. I have always tried to stay loyal to the domestic automakers, but I can see why people don't buy American cars. I understand stuff can happen to anything vehicle, but the service Ford has provided has been terrible. If they were great in handling these issues, I would be happy that at least the service was good and that they were taking care of their customer and standing behind their product. Clearly that is not the case and the stereotype about Ford poor quality and service is unfortunately true.

They added over 5,000 of optional fees onto my contract, changed the term on me, and lied about my apr saying it was 8 percent higher then it actually was to hide all these fees. The car rolls backwards, shakes, doesn't want to accelerate and more. Ford won't stand behind the customers because all they are focused on is capital. Eventually ford will end themselves with poor quality vehicles and exceptionally terrible service. Never in my life would I have thought a company would be capable of both. Get it together please. They will only let me get half my money back for a warranty I didn't ask for... This is a common thing for ford... I have over 15 people who I contacted that have had this exact incident happen to them.

I bought a new 2016 Ford Edge in April 2016. Something that should have been an exciting and happy experience has turned into nothing more than a nightmare. The very first day I got the car home, I was moving my stuff into the back and heard a popping noise. Upon further inspection I noticed that the back hatch wasn't properly aligned. I took the car back to AutoNation Ford (Mileage <100) the very next day only to be told that they could not provide me with a vehicle while they worked on this issue. I should have cancelled my contract with them that day! Instead, I have someone pick me up and leave my car with them for the day. When I went to pick up the vehicle they told me that they adjusted it and the popping stopped but it would NEVER be perfect. I was told that they would email me my paperwork, with this being the first occurrence I didn't think much of it.

In June, I emailed Ford Corporate office and begun dealing with them. They were able to get me a car and this time I took it to Hardy Family Ford (Mileage 5416). They attempted to adjust the gate again. Still not fixed. This time I noticed that the washer fluid isn't working. They talked about taking the hatch off and forcing it to line up properly but I felt uncomfortable with that as I didn't want the back to leak after being told it would NEVER be perfect. So I let that, gave up on the idea of having it fixed. FF one month to July and my check engine light comes on. Concerned I pull into an AutoZone and have them read the code. It comes back bad O2 Sensor. I take it back to Hardy Family Ford (Mileage 6450) and they replace the O2 sensor. When I picked the car up, I explained to the service advisor that I was very disappointed in the vehicle and how many little things were wrong with the car I have noticed in the little time of owning it.

His response to me was that it wasn't a Mercedes Benz. I was just shocked that he would make a comment like that considering it cost as much as some Mercedes Benz. In August I'm driving down the road and my car just shuts down on me. Luckily I was able to coast into a turn lane and get someone to meet me. After waiting on my ride I tried the car again, it started up and they followed me home. I took it back to Hardy Family Ford (Mileage 8495) and they had to replace the electronic throttle body. FF to December and I notice it was leaking some fluid in my garage. Back to Hardy Family Ford (Mileage 17755) they had to replace a line that had a pinpoint leak. FF to February and the check engine light comes back on. I take it to AutoZone and run the codes. O2 Sensor again, I take it to AutoNation Ford (Mileage 20451) this time as Hardy isn't open on Saturdays.

They keep my car for a week, and then call to tell me that the service adviser I was dealing with is no longer with them and they were trying to close up his service calls. (So I was forgotten.) They ordered the part and called me two days later. I go to pick up the car and I'm told that the person who inputs the invoices has been out, they will email me the invoice. I insisted on having my paperwork that day only to get an attitude and a comment that the diagnostic codes will be wrong. I get into my car and notice that they have put over 100 miles on my car test driving it.

They replaced the whole catalytic converter system. At this point, I'm very concerned with the reliability of this vehicle. I'm not sure if it qualifies for a lemon but I know I'm getting to the end of my grace period if it does. I do like my vehicle or I wouldn't have bought it. I unfortunately do not trust any of the Ford advisers. They are always being very shady when it comes to service and paperwork, and I fear that once my warranty is up this will be costly. I have all the service records described except the very first one where I learned to get my paperwork before I leave.

I purchased a 2011 Ford Edge Certified pre-owned with 26000 miles. This vehicle has been in for major repairs within the last two years. Vehicle has AWD. The power transfer unit failed at approximately 60000 miles. The backup camera does not work at all. Just a blank black screen. Several valves went bad. The car was at a Ford dealer for 12 days. The backup camera no longer works. It's just a black screen. The only thing to be done with is replace it at the tune of $866.00. I did not have the camera replaced due to the substantial cost. The latest problem is the catalytic converters. They went bad at 75000 miles. The service engine soon comes on and flashes and then goes off. Called dealer and took it in. This was in January 2017.

I was told both catalytic converters have to be replaced. The dealership told me they would have both converters by mid-February 2017. I called them at the end of the February and now they do not know when they will be getting the catalytic converters in. Really??? Note that I am still driving the vehicle and have not been offered a rental car as of yet. I was told not to take the vehicle on long trips because of the converters being bad. How long am I going to have to wait to have this fixed??? This will be the last thing that gets fixed on this car because if one more thing happens to it I will be getting rid of it. I am very disappointed in Ford and I have had several. Time to look at the foreign SUVs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

This is just a forewarning. Do not buy from Ford. They will sell you a bad car with a bad transmission. They will refuse the right to use your warranty that you paid for to fix it and then it will take you a week to get a hold of the customer service regional manager whom will respond back by email. Not even call you to tell you that they will not do anything to help resolve your issue! They don't care!!! They already got your money!!!

I own a 2011 Ford Edge with 60K miles. The entire SYNC system crashed, which has been an issue for FORD and this feature since they issued an extended warranty but not a recall. So therefore, since my warranty is outside about 2 months, I'm stuck with a repair bill of over $1000 to which FORD will not even try to offset AT ALL. Totally unacceptable on a vehicle with such low mileage! Never had such an issue with TOYOTA. Should've stuck with them! FORD wants consumers to purchase their products yet they won't even back them! It's a shame. They've lost this customer for life. NEVER AGAIN.

Bought a brand new 2016 Fusion. After 11,500k squeaking/creaking in front end. Took it to dealer, lubed and told me it's fine. Half an hour later I'm driving and hear horrible metal grinding sound. Took it back in gave me a loaner for couple of days, returned car to me. Now 10 days later squeaking/creaking is back! Called dealer said to bring it in again. This should not be occurring 10 days later! Feeling very ripped off.

I recently noticed that there was an area on my hood that was starting to rust. There was pitting starting on the hood. This morning I took the vehicle(2012 Ford Expedition) to a local Ford dealer. The body shop manager indicated that he would likely remove the hood and strip the paint. He stated that the hood is aluminum. He said that it would not be covered by warranty. I then contacted Ford Customer Care. I explained the problem and was told that it was not covered by warranty. When I asked about the Corrosion Warranty she replied that the corrosion must be all the way through. The only thing Ford offered was $300.00. The body shop said it would cost $900.00. I am thoroughly disgusted with Ford. It is the last Ford product that I will ever own. To make matters worse I read online that Ford has been experiencing similar problems with other aluminum hoods on other models.

On 02/08/2019 I simply rolled up my drivers side window, there was a loud pop and the window shattered into a million pieces. There was no apparent reason for this. No bumps or pot holes were driven over in the six miles I had traveled. It wasn't cold, was not running the AC, I had not touched the window in any way. Just simply rolled the window up. Oh, I should mention these are not electric windows, these are hand crank windows. I called my dealer Bill Currie Ford of Tampa, FL. I spoke with service department. They told me to bring it into the body shop and ask for Joe. I did what they told me. Spoke with Joe for less than 2 mins. Explained what has happened, showed him a picture that I had taken. We went back inside, Joe disappeared.

After a few mins. James ** handed me an estimate for the repair of the window at the cost of $369.29. I asked about warranty because it just shattered for no apparent reason to this he gave me no response. I explained I could not afford the cost. He said "I can maybe take off $50.00." I thanked him and departed. I then called Ford Customer Care, spoke with April whom was very helpful. Gave me a case number and told me to wait a few hours and call the service manager.

I did what I was instructed to do. I called Bill Currie Ford and asked to speak to the service manager, of course on got voice mail. I left a message with my case number and contact info. I called the next day, again getting only voice mail, again left the info. The service manager Mark has yet to respond to my calls. So now I have a car that cannot be secured. I am on the road all day and I am forced to park my car with the window wide open just asking for someone to take advantage of it.

I leased a 2017 Fusion Energi in late December. About three weeks ago, I found the battery completely dead. After jumping the vehicle, I took it to the dealership (521 miles on the vehicle). After numerous discussions with the dealership, as well as Ford Customer support, I have been told that the part is back ordered with no delivery date identified. In the meantime, I have to continue making the payments, etc. while I wait for a resolution. Ford has offered no options related to this situation other than to wait for the part which, as I state, has no delivery date associated with it. The customer service follow-through post purchase is nothing short of terrible. If you are considering purchasing a Ford product, I encourage you to reconsider. I know this is the last Ford product I will ever purchase.

I have a 2008 Ford Edge and have encountered the recording heating core failure problem. Ford has dealt with this issue with many customers but refuses to conduct a recall due to COST. I tried taking it for repair to Levittown Ford and Hempstead Ford with no luck. Shameful to not back their products.

Back in 2005 I purchased a brand new 2005 Ford Freestar, it had a faulty torque converter, and was replaced in 2013. Now then 1 year later I had the same problem (torque converter). I just got off the phone with a tech. at the Ford dealer and told him what happened... he said it's not covered "a recall is a 1 time fix", so even though they replaced my torque converter with another faulty 1 it's not their problem... I don't think that's fair, but then again what do I know, I'm just a consumer... What can a person do???

We have taken our 2008 Ford Edge into the dealer five times for this same issue over the course of five years. We had the extended warranty but that has run out and the fix is now $1600.00. It seems Ford had put faulty heater cores in the car and the solder inside the heater core is flaking off and plugging it up. Every time we returned the car to the dealer they flushed the system out and put a special coolant in that you cannot even buy in your local auto parts store. If you Google this issue with this vehicle there are hundreds of websites talking of this problem.

If Ford knew the issue was the heater core why would they not issue a recall for replacing them and not just flushing them? COST. Why should their customers be forced to foot the bill for their error? After bringing in a vehicle for the same problem five times you would think that would constitute replacing the heater core? If Ford was in fact about customer satisfaction like they claim. I guarantee this will be my last Ford product and I will sway family and friends from buying their products.

I have a 2012 Ford F350 with 59,300 miles on it. The first transmission service is due at 60,000 miles so I took it to Spradley Barr Ford in Colorado. They advised me that all I needed to do was flush the system and NOT drop the pan to change the filter, that is not needed until the next service at 120,000 miles according to them. I said I wanted the filter changed for an additional $ 120.00 or so. Good thing I did because they found a bunch of metal in the pan. They are covering it under warranty, however they have had my WORK truck for TWO MONTHS and four days now due to a back ordered part. They have told me THREE times that it will be in soon, what a bunch of crap. Ford has rebuilt transmissions in crates available but they just said "Too bad. So sad for you." You can wait. Ford is useless and has no customer service in mind.

Previously I had a 2002 Ford F350 diesel for fourteen years (2002-2016), I guess Ford loyalty is in the trash. The dealer even said Ford is not supporting the dealerships, WOW what a statement. If I EVER get my truck back it will be sold ASAP and off to Chevy I go. Furthermore I called their customer service line (a misnomer at best) and what does Ford do? They send you a questionnaire that asks if the call taker was polite, helpful etc... Nothing about what is going on, nor did I receive a call or Email about it - poof it's just gone. Ford has lost all concept of customer service. Good riddance Ford.

My husband & I were Ford truck "believers" for many years until 2016! From our past experience, we expected our 2008 F450 diesel (with the 6.4L engine), would take us into retirement and beyond until the engine blew up this year, with just over 100,000 miles! $18455.66 later, and a lousy 2 year warranty on the new (same, defective engine), we found out that this engine is "expected" to fail around 100,000 miles making it the worst engine in the Ford truck line. (Our 1999 F350 is still on the road at 250,000+ miles!)

I tried to contact Ford's Customer Service (which is really their Customer Dis-service as the one answering the phone only has a first name and no boss to appeal to). My expectation was to get a reasonable 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty on the new engine instead of a crappy 2 year warranty (which is equivalent to a 30,000 mile warranty). The mechanics told us they could bulletproof the replacement engine, after the 2 year warranty expired, for about $8000! My question is, why isn't the replacement engine "bulletproofed" already? What was once a great company with integrity has been replaced by fraud and failure. I am embarrassed to be driving a Ford after my humble retirement account has been robbed of $20,000.

Called Roadside Assistance on Christmas Day due to a flat (which of course is a big problem since you no longer have a spare and the inflation kit is worthless if you have any sidewall damage). Here is what transpired. I called and they confirmed a tow in about an hour. After an hour they called back to inform me that they cannot tow me to a dealership that is closed. On December 25th there are no dealerships open in the country!!! I asked if they could tow me home as courtesy especially since it was Christmas Day. They said, "No it is out of policy." FYI the Owner's Manual states that roadside assistance is available 24/7. PERIOD! No other rules or exceptions.

Bottom line they towed me 3 1/2 hours later to a tow lot in literally the worst part of the city from where I had to make home. Forget the fact that I spent 4 hours of Christmas stranded because of Ford's unstated policies, missed most of Christmas with my family and my newborn first grandchild. All Ford showed is that their custom care is a fiction (and possibly a violation of several consumer laws as they do not disclose this to their consumers). Bottom line if you need roadside assistance good luck if you need a tow outside of Dealer Hours. They simply don't care about their customers.

Dropped our Fiesta off at the dealership this morning for its third transmission rebuild. At least the employees there were honest and said that they were using the same faulty OEM parts that were used during the last two rebuilds. Has anyone tried to sue the dealership or salesman that lied and told them what a great vehicle it was when they were trying to sell it to ya. I ask because the same guy that told us that bs also told us what a piece of crap they were when we took our car back to the dealer three months later because the transmission failed. Never again.

In 2014 December I bought two brand new Ford transit connects with bumper to bumper 3 year 36000 mile warranty on both vehicles. Both vehicles encountered heater vibration problems and electrical problems with the lights. Took both vehicles to Ford and they worked on the first one by removing the center console to see what the problem was and they found a rodent's nest and body parts which they clean up and removed, but it was not covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. It cost me out of pocket over 400.00 dollars. The lights they said that it wasn't the bulb but rodents also had eaten the wires which again it not cover either under the bumper to bumper warranty so I could not see paying any more but that cost me 90.00 more dollars. So I was not willing to pay to have the second transit looked at.

My wife and I both had no luck with Ford's main office service because they said it wasn't their fault that rodents are eating the wiring and nesting in the heater unit. Disgusted with their answer I asked why are they using soy oil in their wiring insulation, seat foam plus the numerous pounds of recycled plastics and gasket materials. It's like a buffet for the rodents, they told they're being green! When I wrote the checks for both these vehicles at Ford I did not see anything about them using recycled crap in these brand new vehicles, if I did I would not have bought them. I told the person that contacted us "Why don't you smear steak sauce all over the car." But by using soy oil in the manufacturing it's the same results with the rodent problem.

While we were at Ford they laughed and said we were lucky they had a new car in the shop last week that was towed in because rodents had enjoyed eating most of the wiring but they said their insurance company paid thousands of dollars to repair it, why is it the insurance company's problem when Ford is inviting disaster by using soy oil in the manufacturing process so they can say they're green. But the consumers are not aware of this. My grandfather worked and retired from Ford motor company, he's rolling over in his grave now.

I have always bought Fords since I have been driving. Never have I had issues like this before, their smug attitudes that it's not their fault rodents are the problem, I say it is their fault for using soy oil and recycled crap for gaskets wiring insulation seat foam and trim products. There should be a class action law suit against them for the repairs. But they're not the only ones doing it. Something needs to be done, Maybe the United States steel workers union needs to put up pick lines on all the dealerships to let people know they're going to left in the cold.

I drove my truck 5 hours a day except for Sunday. My starter went out in my driveway. It started acting up 2 days before. I decided to have it towed to the Ford dealership near me. My wife told me what the estimate was going to be the next day $5,500. They told her the engine was going to have to be replaced. Even though the motor didn't burning any oil up. It had good suspension and steering or a safety hazard and had many parts to replace. When I spoke with the service manager he told me there were safety issues. The ball joints were going out all the way around. There are no ball joints in the rear. I believe there is no honesty or integrity and the way they run their service department. Most people don't bring an older vehicle to the dealership. But mine is a 2000 and this is 2016. I feel as though you get what you pay for. But not in this case.

Looking at the long list of repairs and how important they are their estimate should have been even more than what they told me giving me the impression that the job was probably going to be charged for and not done. Now there is $3,000 that I have for repairs. Overlooking the fact that the truck was brought in just for a starter I tried to negotiate take care of the safety issues which I don't know if I'll be charged and ripped off for. Because the suspension and steering I had been serviced correctly through the years. And to put a starter in add not replace the motor. Let's see if this is going to cost the full $3,000. I bet I'm going to be ripped off any way I look at it. Because it's my only vehicle and the truck is at the shop and immovable. I fear they're able to damage my engine and I can't do a thing to fix the situation. Ford service sucks.

Our Ford is 10 years old, was purchased used and has been maintenance free, except for normal maintenance from the day we purchased it. It rides and looks great. Ford makes a great vehicle and their service departments are great.

2012 fusion SEL v6 28000 miles and no problems. Lots of power and great gas mileage. Best car I've owned. Nice ride steers like a Ferrari. Great power pushes you back in the seat when you step on it. Great Sony surround sound stereo system.

The truck is amazing. Great ride. Very smooth for a truck. Had it for 3 years and not one problem with anything. Ford f150 is a very dependable truck. It has lots of cab room a day. A very smooth ride. Easy to steer and to maneuver in traffic. Great visibility for a truck as well out all windows and mirrors.

Since purchasing almost 5 years ago, I have not experienced any issues while driving. I have the car serviced by the dealer I bought it from and every time I feel I am driving a brand new car. I have no negative experiences to write about. I am just happy with my Ford Fiesta.

I bought a 2013 Ford Focus 2 years ago as a used car. Approx. 25,000 on it. I have had continuous problems with the transmission and now the engine light is on, revealing I need an entire new fuel system! The Valve, gasket, fuel pump, and a new fuel tank!!! $2000.00 worth of work on a car 3 years old. Oh yeah the radio is gone too and needs to be replaced! How does this happen. Nothing is covered by warranty except the clutch. Needless to say I am extremely upset and will not ever buy another Ford. I have written directly to Ford about this but not hopeful that I will hear from them.

The car ride is very smooth and quiet. Our Ford Edge is everything and more than we expected. Plenty of room inside. The panoramic moon roof is awesome. The car handles beautifully. Very stylish looking inside and out.

The Ford Fusion is really great! I've had no problems in the 2 years I've owned mine. My experience with Ford has been great. The Ford Fusion is dependable, great on gas, comfortable and I have not had any problems with it.

It maneuvers really great on the road & its driving comfort is perfect. Mileage is really good too? We have had several different makes of vehicles but the two Fords that we have are what we were looking for & to date the service has been excellent! Our prev vehicle had repairs/replacements that needed to be done at 100k and we were not advised when purchased. Ford was truthful & did their best to find what we were looking for including the color. Their service dept has notified us any time they see something of concern and it's not always costly. The vehicles are a joy to drive. We were always Chev people but their sales staff were not very accommodating & refused to deal to make the sale. Their loss!

Don't purchase a Ford Vehicle. The transmission will most likely die on you early on. I cannot tell you how upset I am for the purchase of my Ford. I have to say a prayer each and every time I am driving this car, in particular, if you are driving the vehicle up a grade. The odometer on my car is only 25977 miles. A "LEMON" in every sense!

I have a 2008 Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor. It's a good car. 4.6 liter. These are really good, strong cars and do last a long time if you take care of them. I know a quite a few people who have one. But be careful if you buy one. It's the gas tank you have to watch because they put these rubber mounts on the bottom of the tank where the straps hold up the tank. Water gets trap in between the mounts and within a couple of years you're leaking gas because it's all rust. A lot of people don't know this. Even the cops because they're still driving these cars. Ford messed up on this one.

Compare Service Trucks and Truck Cranes