3.50/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Ford Focus

The Ford Focus is a compact car that has been around since 1998. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Ford Focus Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I leased my 2015 Focus in July '15. I took it back 5 days after picking it up as the transmission didn't feel right. I was told it was fine. March 2016, had the clutch replaced for the 1st time. September 2016, had the clutch replaced for the 2nd time. I was told it was a redesigned part, and I won't have any more issues with it. Sept 2017, had the clutch replaced for the 3rd time. July 20185, clutch had to be replaced for the 4th time. Seems like every 6 months it needs a new clutch. I'm looking at ending my lease early as I have no faith that sometime soon it will require another clutch. Dealership won't help other than Ford will just keep fixing it. So in 3 years and only 57,000km, this car has been through 4 clutch replacements. I'm going to Hyundai.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

The radio stopped working. The cost to repair it is over $700. I have been advised that the radio malfunctioning is a common problem in the Ford Focus. However Ford will not correct this defect without cost. Ford should be ashamed of themselves! They are fully aware of the radio defect and as such should correct the issue without cost! I will never buy a Ford vehicle again. A company that does not stand behind its product is a disgrace.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I am only halfway on paying for my 2012 Ford Focus that I bought in 2014. I had 2 coolant issues repaired recently and the dealership has admitted finally I need the transmission clutch repaired also. The 100,000 mile extended warranty given for that model by Ford for this problem, is no longer good for me because I have 107,000 miles on car. When I tried to get it looked at before the 100,000 I was told that it's just the way the car is. The car runs fine. So the problem wasn't fixed. I noticed recalls on same problem for 2015 and 2016 models. Meantime the starter is going bad the recall for gas tank problem I believe has caused my car to be sitting dead in my yard so it's to be towed up to dealer again.

I would like to see a recall done on the 2012 model as well. I cannot afford the transmission repairs for the dealership has gladly told me almost 3000.00. The starter 729.00. Now the engine light is on. The car was running when I took the car into the dealership for the coolant repairs the very within 2 days car stopped running and had it towed. The TCM had gone bad and starter and transmission and now the gas tank problem. Ford customer service has been called numerous times and there is nothing I can do about the transmission. I would love to hear back out there on what troubles consumers are having with their 2012 models. Also, the paint is badly peeling off the hatch of the car.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Bought a 2016 Focus Titanium brand new... 30k vehicle. Had the car for 13 months when my navigation system started acting up. Would not follow where my vehicle was at on the road, Bluetooth constantly connecting/disconnecting from phone, aux cord would work for a few moments, then a message would pop up. It could not connect to media device. Took car in twice and my issue was never resolved. Was going to take it in for the third time after the holidays. Went out of state to spend Christmas with family when I lost 4th gear while driving with my 8 year old child (12/24/18).

My car would not reverse after losing 4th gear. I dropped my car off at Ford dealership 12/26/18 to have repair done but had to leave it out of state as I needed to return home for work. 12 days later, they still have my car. I was advised they won’t be replacing transmission, but rebuilding my engine instead. I had to call them since they were not in contact with me to update me on the status of my car. I called 1/2/19 where they said it was fixed but needed to go through all steps of engine to see what failed? (Did not make sense to me since they just told me the vehicle was fixed.) They said it would be ready 1/4/19. I received a message from them later in the day 1/2/19 stating the vehicle needed a part and it would not be arriving until Tuesday 1/8/19.

As soon as I get my car back home, I will have to drop it off, yet again, at Ford, for them to completely replace my navigation system (Ford dealership that is repairing it said it could take 2 to 4 weeks for the part to arrive. Did not want to wait that long). I filed a claim with Ford asking for them to replace my vehicle. They have declined to replace it. I am a few months shy of 2 years having my car. Have 22k miles... It’s very disheartening that a company knowingly sells these faulty vehicles and do not put their customers first with these serious issues. I will NEVER again buy another Ford vehicle. I cannot put my child, or any others in an unreliable vehicle. Neither should you, Ford...

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

So I am a 2-time owner of a Ford Focus. First one being a 2007 that has been loyal to me and is still chugging along! I still own that vehicle. Decided to hand that off to my sister to enjoy and decided to upgrade to a 2014 Focus. Worst decision I've ever made to date. The 2014 Focuses all have recalls on the transmissions due to Ford taking the cheap route and inputting faulty transmissions in all the 2014 year models. The sour part is Ford is aware of the failure yet ONLY approves of the dealerships replacing parts of the faulty transmissions instead of doing right by the customers and replacing the entire thing! I haven't even had my vehicle for 2 years and within the first year the battery failed and transmission followed... they put a simple band-aid fix to the transmission that only remedied the situation for about 3 months until I had to return it AGAIN for the same issue. It failed on me that time TWICE in 48 hours!

Then 3 months later it failed another 3 times! Most times the car fails I'm either driving on a high-speed highway or on a dark country road at night. Both very unsafe places for a car to continuously give out. Ford is fully aware and their only remedy is "we can replace the part again". I'll never put my trust in Ford again. I've owned Hondas as well as Nissans before and never have I experienced this kind of careless response from a company regarding the safety of their customers who invest thousands of dollars into THEIR vehicles. TRY YOUR LUCK ELSEWHERE. YOUR LIFE WILL DEPEND ON IT!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Focus?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

We purchased a 2013 Ford Focus new for our college-aged son in 2012. It has had nothing but problems, which Ford excuses time and again. First, we have dealt with the jerky, hesitating transmission, which has had numerous recalls, but never corrected. Now, Ford has issued a recall, saying the car could stall and completely lose power, but that they aren’t able to fix it yet. Their “remedy” is to keep the fuel tank above a half tank and hopefully, you won’t get killed in it if you do that.

My son now has a wife and two children under 2 and everyone is just supposed to hope that their car doesn’t stall on the interstate and cause their deaths!! How is this acceptable??!! To top it off, we had previously owned a 2003 Ford Expedition, which died at least four times while I was driving on the highway. Ford couldn’t figure out the problem, and we traded that death trap back to them because we could not have sold it to anyone in good conscience! I believe that Ford has known that they have numerous models that are losing power on the road for quite a while, and has chosen to remain quiet and let people die.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

We purchased a 2016 Ford Focus because my son in law swore by Ford product. The first year we didn’t have any issues with the vehicle, got it serviced as need be, time line of service dates, etc. Last year the piece in the transmission had to be replaced, honestly didn’t think much of it as Ford seemed to bend over backwards to fix the issue, but less than a year later and it began doing the same thing. We took it back to the dealership (in a new city because we had moved) and not only did They lose our car for days they said they fixed the issue. Not two days later the car was doing the exact same thing so back to the shop we went where once again they lost our car.

We spoke to one supervisor after another with no resolution whatsoever as they insisted there was nothing wrong with the car. The car was not driveable at all. Ford credit wouldn’t get involved, we were not eligible for the “buy back program” that Ford talks about and felt our only option was to voluntarily turn it in. Ford refuses to come pick it up as it would be considered a repossession, keep in mind the only Ford dealership near us is the horrible one we had nothing but horrific dealings with so we were asked to turn it in there. My son in law went to turn it in, the guy refused to give him a paper stating it was being turned in but my sil managed to get a video recording with the guy stating his name.

Two months later we receive a bill stating the bill is last due, when we called to state that the car had been dropped off they called the dealership and guess what?! They can’t find the car!!! Two days after the car was turned in Ford put out a recall on these particular malfunctions that the focus continues to experience. We want something done once and for all about this issue as they want to charge off the entire $16,000 instead of the difference they would sell the car for. Ford is nothing more than a scam and their vehicles are not to be trusted as they are completely unsafe for anyone that gets behind the wheel of these cars. I strongly suggest Looking at any other car manufacture before ever considering signing your life and all your finances over to Ford credit.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I have always been a Ford customers, but when I bought my 2016 Ford Focus I have had nothing but problems with it. And now vehicle isn't operable and when I go to call Ford Roadside Assistance they want me to pay out of pocket for it to be towed to the dealership. And when I called the dealership they told me that I didn't need to pay out of pocket for the tow because I am still covered under warranty. So I had to call my own Insurance and they won't charge me out of pocket to be towed to the dealership. And I've only had the vehicle for 2 yrs, and I still have coverage for it to be towed but that's what I get for sticking with Ford. They care more about their greed selfish lives than caring for the consumer. So when I get that vehicle fixed I'm leaving Ford and I don't plan on ever getting another Ford. Oh and don't rely on the Roadside Assistance you'll just end up paying for it.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I'm more than unsatisfied with my 2015 Ford Focus. I bought the Focus new in 2015 and have had transmission problems from day 1. I took the vehicle to the dealer twice to have the transmission looked at but was told that nothing was wrong with it. I contacted Ford Motor Company and was told that my transmission warranty was extended past the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty but only if the vehicle will not shift from park to other gears. My transmission stalls and flutters when shifting gears and has since it was brand new 3 years ago. This is not an uncommon problem.

This problem is for all Focus' that year and a couple other model years that have the paddle shift option. Last year when the car was just 2 years old I had reached the 36,000 mile warranty coverage. At 37,000 miles I had to sew the driver seat together because it was coming apart. My Bluetooth does not work nor does the USB line in option for the radio. I would not recommend a Ford vehicle to anyone and will not be purchasing a Ford vehicle again.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I purchased a 2012 focus with 35,000 miles on it. At about 41,000 miles the power steering would fail as I backed out of the driveway or while I was driving down the street. I could still steer the car, however the power steering warning would come on, and once I parked the car the power steering would return to normal, before randomly doing it again. I took it into the dealership to be told they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. It finally quit for good at 61,053 miles (1,053 miles over the warranty). I was told I was out of luck. Even though it had been seen for the issue. My transmission went out at 70,000 miles, and is going out again at 130,000 miles. Plain and simple, don’t purchase a Focus unless you want more in repair bills than you paid for the car itself.

Ford Focus Company Information