Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
2.32/5

Ford Focus

The Ford Focus is a compact car that has been around since 1998. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

1429 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

It's cheap on gas but also very stylish looking. It's sporty features also had played a big part and the color it came in which is dark blue. It also was a good price which was a huge impact on the decision. I also like the radio system that it came with. I like the lights on the inside but I don't like some of the cheap looking features that it came with. Such as no automatic seats and cheap looking locks and window buttons.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have had to repair this vehicle many times. I've had to make sure that I stay on top of things because if not it makes bigger problems. But it does save gas. It is good for long distance drives. Overall has been a good car once everything is fixed. I also like this over others because of the gas mileage. I like how it has cruise control, seat warmers, alerts with what is wrong with the car or what needs to be done soon. However, I don't like how it's so hard to get the lights to go off after the car is fixed. Once one sensor goes off a lot of other ones can go off too and it could be harder to find the problem with the car.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I purchased a used 2013 Ford Focus sedan, with 28,000 miles on it and loaded with all the "bells and whistles." I especially love the satellite radio, and it's a very roomy car. I did a lot of research on this particular car. Unfortunately, there have been a few recalls on this car, which was very frustrating, but then I guess no vehicle is exempt from some type of recall! I would have much better acceleration on this particular Focus.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My overall experience is very positive. There have been no major mechanical issues and no recalls on this model. I do wish I had bought a four door rather than a two door for more space, though. My car is a five speed and I prefer driving a manual transmission because I feel like I have more control over the vehicle, especially in bad weather. I like the dashboard and the interior lights as well. However, the window crank is very difficult to turn where it is located. I actually find it almost impossible to turn the crank while driving because it takes too much time. The cup holders are in a bad place, making it very difficult for both passengers to access drinks while the driver is shifting, too.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I purchased this car online after my primary vehicle was totaled in an accident. It wasn't my first choice although over the years it has proved itself to be a very dependable car. The gas mileage could be better but overall a very inexpensive car to maintain. However, I have had to replace and have the generator worked on two times once under warranty and another time after the warranty had expired. The interior of the car is cramped in places as well. It is more of a one or two passenger car for comfort. Not something you would want to take for long trips with more than two people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Focus?

Original review: June 11, 2018

The price of gas was going up to 4.00 a gallon and this vehicle is very good on gas. But I wasn't really impressed with my vehicle. There have been too many recalls for 1 car. Was having to take personal time for these. The motor for my front window burned out and I haven't replaced it. There wasn't a lot of options to choose from. I was used to driving Dodges and wanted something different. Also, the vehicle is too low to get in and out of. I had a hard time driving this vehicle in the snow. Maybe the vehicle was too light. The price was right but wouldn't buy again.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I can travel high speeds in comfort. It drives smoothly. I noticed when I test drove. I was considering other SUVs but I liked the smaller car. It has heated seats and the speakers are nice. It heats up very quickly in the winter. I also get up to 37 miles per gallon when driving on the highway. It's cheap to fill up the tank since it's so fuel efficient. Also, I love the leather interior. It drives very nicely and has amazing feature such as Bluetooth connection, sync. But some of the information on the screen is difficult to click through. There are different color lights in the interior. I also wish the back seats had heated seats. And the back seat is a little bit cramped. I wish my chair could be raised a bit higher.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Ford has known about their "Electric Power Assist" problems for many years and have had several of their models recalled. However, they REFUSE to do anything about the Ford Focus which have many complaints about the same problem (Steering Problems). WHY? I am wondering if those of us who own a Ford Focus should get a class action lawsuit against Ford Motor Company for deliberately putting people's lives at risk with a KNOWN PRODUCT DEFECT and refusing to do anything about it. Complaints have been going on for YEARS about this issue with this model car, and NOTHING has been done to correct it. Again, WHY?

I am a Senior Citizen who relies on this vehicle, and the Steering Assist malfunction code is constantly on. This puts my life at risk, as well as others, and I have done research about the cost to "fix" this problem, OVER $1,000 (One Thousand) dollars. Some places/dealers will charge up to OVER $2,000 (Two Thousand) dollars for the same "fix". I will NEVER buy another Ford product because of their refusal to recall a KNOWN, LIFE ENDANGERMENT Defect after YEARS of complaints.

Original review: June 9, 2018

It's a great vehicle to drive on. I love the hybrid and their type. I love their brand and they have great brands from other dealership. They sell used and new cars from automotive. They also have good storage. But I didn't like the price because they cost a lot.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I bought a used Ford Focus and I liked the color of the car which is a unique green. I liked the mileage that it had. I was told it was a safe car with good brakes and I thought it would be a safe car for me and my family. But it doesn't get good gas mileage. I am not satisfied with the car and it was a bad purchase. It has tinted windows which I am not used to. The car could be improved to make it get better gas mileage and add a moonroof. I don't like that it doesn't have a better stereo and that it doesn't have the backup camera. However you get that you pay for.

Original review: June 8, 2018

It is safe and reliable for my needs. Economical, fuel efficient, compact and easy to drive. And to handle in rain and snow make it a safe vehicle. I wish the engine was a little bigger and had more power and the care accelerated faster and quicker. Better image and feel of car maybe would be better and a larger trunk and cargo space. Other than that, I like the sleek look and comfortable seats. Airbags and multiple safety features included, dependable tires and strong braking system.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We have had problems with the Ford Focus Hatchback from day one. We like that it's automatic, silver in color and has sun roof and leather seats but between recalls and mistakes by the dealership it was in the shop more than it was driven. The recalls have to be repeatedly fixed; clutches and transmission problems. We researched and spoke to dealership. They wouldn't take car back. We had to research information on lawsuits. Basically we are stuck with it. Can't believe Ford got away with releasing this car. Wish we had done more research before purchasing. We are really unhappy and will not buy Ford again.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Car has good handling ability and turn radius. I am glad that after 8 years, engine and transmission are still original although transmission slips occasionally. For size, interior is fairly roomy and trunk has good capacity. But this car is a piece of junk cosmetically. Cheap plastic pieces fall or break with normal use. The Air conditioning unit always worked poorly. Now, it works almost not at all even though I replaced all components twice. Cost me a ton of money trying to get it to work but does not come out cold in hot Texas summers, though it is fully charged. Mirrors, Bumpers, Interior plastic pieces have all been replaced and repaired multiple times. Gas mileage is decent although it is declining after 8 years.

The car also has very loud road noise during ride. Cant do much about it but play radio loudly. The tires that came with the car blew out within the first month. Had to replace all of them for safety. The coating applied to the windshield caused a permanent glaze that made it glare. It was very hard to get off and took over a year to wear off. I am very dissatisfied with this purchase. It was a poor value for the money spent to purchase.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I looked at a lot of cars before deciding on a Ford Focus but my boyfriend and I ultimately decided it would be the best car for him and I (we share it) for multiple reasons. This is my first car. It has been very helpful to me and I am definitely loving it! It has the space I need and gets me where I need to go. It's great for gas too. There are few improvements I feel needed to be made though. My grandfather has always throughout his whole life believed that Fords were the top brand of cars and I have great trust in his judgement. This car has not let me down and I do not expect it to.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I drove a Ford Focus Hatchback when I had to rent a car. Despite not being a Ford fan, I liked the way it drove. So when I FINALLY found a Certified Used car in my price range, I was happy to see it was a Ford Focus SEDAN and I fell in love. I really love how it drives. I like the look of a mid size sedan. As silly as it sounds, one of my favorite features is the automatic lights! It is nice to have them turn on immediately when needed. I also really like having some controls on the steering wheel. I am always listening to music and when my kids start talking, it is easy to just move a finger for volume control without letting go of the wheel!

This might not be relevant in the end, but I am struggling with syncing my phone. It is really confusing for me, BUT I am that way with a lot of tech. But I do wish there was some less complex explanations of some of the cool features. Also, the vehicle needs a little more power and a little quicker than some cars. But for me personally, I prefer it over others. Overall wonderful experience thus far.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I Bought a brand new Ford Focus 2018. A few days later, The parking brake light appeared and does not go off. Then while car is in drive it would roll back on its own and roll forward if in reverse. Attempted several times to get dealer to take the car in and give a loaner car while they fix the car. Till date 3 weeks later still no service date to fix the car. Called Ford customer service and getting the runaround with polite words to offset the truth that a brand new car built by Ford is junk.

DO NOT BUY FORD!!!

Original review: May 9, 2018

I bought my Ford Focus almost 12 years ago. It is still running well with a minimum of maintenance required. My next car and likely last car will probably be a Focus.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I have had the dual clutch fixed twice, today the car was hauled into the dealership because it quit in the middle of a very busy street. No acceleration, no power steering and commands flashing on the screen. I love the car but I was really scared last night when the car would on go 2 mph and no power steering. I'm 71 and it was all I could do to get my car around the corner. I will not buy another Ford. Why aren't these cars corrected since they have so many problems? I hope the car doesn't continue to have problems.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I still have the Ford Focus Hatchback but when I purchased it in 2003, at 25,000 miles and 2 opinions, the transmission had to be replaced. Cost $1,580.00. Ford Home Office would not pay for the repair or replace the car. I only drove to work and back home every day which was less than 30 miles a day. Car has automatic transmission. I will not purchase another Ford ever again. Should have stayed with Honda! I resided in San Antonio TX and purchased the car in San Antonio, TX. Had the car transported to KY where I now reside.

As of this date there are only 70,000 miles on the car! Did not allow Ford to replace the transmission. The issue began when the car died while driving home from work, car was transported by Triple A to Ford. After a few days, picked up car and the transmission was slipping as I was driving out of the Ford Repair shop. The transmission was not having that problem when my car broke down and Ford denied having being the cause while the car was in their shop and was willing to allow me to drive the car home in that condition. Brought the problem to their attention before leaving the lot and Ford refused to repair the transmission on their dime so I had the car towed to a transmission repair shop elsewhere.

Original review: May 4, 2018

The main problem with the car is the select shift transmission. It had to have one of the clutches replaced after only 56,000 miles. It has ruined the trade and resale value of the car. My Ford Focus is a 2012. The new ones sell for less than mine because of the transmission issue. I have had 7 new Ford cars from 1985 to 2012. This is my last one.

Original review: April 29, 2018

This 2015 Ford Focus has a transmission that slips, hesitates, jerks and no pull on a hill. I took it back to Allietta Ford and they said nothing was wrong with my car. I drive it and I know there is something wrong.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Fantastic Ford motor company. Gas mpg great, looks outstanding and beautiful paint jobs. Rides great and really works great on the road... recommend Ford Focus 2014 highly.

Original review: April 27, 2018

You can't beat Ford Focus for the price. It get over 35 miles to the gallon city and highway. I've put 138000 miles on mine and the only thing I've had to do is change the oil and I'm on the 2 set on tires.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I am totally unhappy with my 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback, cute enough car, mechanically a nightmare. I purchased my Ford in March 2016 @ 42,000 miles. About a week after I purchased the car, I noticed it was running a little rough, I mentioned this to the dealership when they called to see if I was happy with my purchase. That’s when I learned they had clutches even though automatic, he said “they do run a little rough, but the car will adapt to your driving and this will smooth out”… I will mention I know nothing about cars! After a couple of months the problem got worse, I called and made an appointment, they replaced the clutch at no charge. Problem solved, right… Wrong!

When the car was in to be worked on, I googled problems with clutches in Ford Focus, I was not prepared for the amount of issues and repeated issue with the clutch. I picked up my car, and asked if this happens again how long my I covered under the warranty. 100K is what he said. About 8 months later I started having issues, very minor but still an issue. I mentioned this when calling to make an appointment to have my car inspected and the issue was becoming worse, the sales or services person said we may have to keep it overnight because they were extremely busy. I told him I will wait until the weather breaks and bring it back in, asking again, I will be covered, right? “Yes, up to 100K." I dropped my car off to have the clutch replaced about a week ago.

I received a call thinking the work was done and I could pick up the car. I was not prepared for what I was about to hear. “It’s defiantly the clutch, however
The warranty on your car expired and Ford will not cover the cost…" I told him that can’t be right, I am covered up to 100K miles, currently @ 68K, "yes, we are

sorry, but we were wrong and the coverage for this type of clutch is only 60K??? The cost of the repair will be 1,800." I did not have the clutch replaced and will join the many people for are filing for class action lawsuit against Ford. As they are more than aware of the ongoing problem with the clutches and will do nothing about it…

So people do your homework – DO not purchase a Ford product, they will not stand behind you when you need them the most. Oh, did I mention when the service department called to give me the bad news, I asked why was I having this issue if the clutch problem was fixed the first time. He told me, well this has been an ongoing and Ford has finally fixed the issue with the clutches they are currently replacing. So the bottom line the second clutch was also a faulty clutch as well…

Original review: April 5, 2018

In August 2016 I brought my first car on my own which is a 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback. A few weeks into having the car it kept jerking. I took it back to get check and they said there's nothing wrong with the car. I have put a lot of money into this car already. This week I was on the highway and came to a stop, I pushed on the gas and my car would not go. I had to keep pushing on the gas to make it go. Two mins after that my transmission light appeared. As I'm calling my dad to let him know what's going on I get a message on my screen saying that my transmission is overheating. I had to pull over and get my car towed back to the dealership so they can look at it.

My car has now been at the shop for three days and still have not been looked at. This car has been nothing but trouble since I got it. The only thing they can tell me is something is wrong with the transmission but have to wait until the transmission specialist looks at it which can take another day or two. I am now in a rental car that I'm paying for out of pocket. I called Ford corporate and they told me in two days I'll receive an email that I will have to fill out information for then they will have to investigate and they MIGHT be able to help with something far as warranty. This car has been nothing but a money drainer. If I could I would give my experience 0 stars.

Original review: March 14, 2018

We bought a Ford Focus Trend 2013 about 8 months ago from a government car auction in Sydney NSW Australia. The day we got the car when we put the gear on drive it was given you few shaking jump. The people at the auction said it's ok, it's nothing wrong, just the nature of all Ford Focus. Couple of months later all the power windows stop working. When we took it to the Ford Mechanics they said, "Oh it the motor has gone and it's not under warranty so pay us ($700)." When we got the car back after paying ($700) then we had a letter from Ford that fuel tanks are faulty so take the car to Ford dealer. We took the car. They claimed that they fixed the fault and when we took the car back and took the car to put fuel the fuel gauge wasn't working and it's not filling up more than 10 dollars petrol.

When we took the car back they said, "Oh we have to charge you. It's not under warranty." I said, "But you guys broken the gauge." After they look at it the hopeless Mechanics put some pipe upside down. Now sign came on the screen. Transmission's faulty. We took the car again to Ford. They charge the computer and now calling me. We charge the computer and now the reverse gear not working. Come and take the with no reverse gear or give us permission to diagnose and charge for diagnosis only 1400 dollars and then + the charge for repairs.

I call Ford Australia. Their customer service was very poor. Not helpful at all and first time I've seen that customer service with too much attitude. She was very rude. Can't believe someone at customer service with no skill of customer service. I felt like I'm inside jail and talking with the jail guard. PLEASE PLEASE DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING FORD. Very bad car and very bad people on the phone and in person at their mechanical workshop. They have a serious issue in the customer communication line. Sorry to say that but unfortunately they don't deserve even one star.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Bought a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 2 years ago and a month later it would not start, had it towed, Ford said they'd never heard of this before...they got it going. It started when it felt like it, we were left stranded numerous times, had it towed. Manager was abrupt and condescending. Car was in their garage and when it decided to start Ford would call, "Come and get it." It started shuddering so back in it goes, beforehand I called the main office where a helpful guy told me to tell Ford to replace the TCM and it's covered, no cost to me. Manager wanted to argue and said it wasn't covered and he had never ever heard of this problem before, lies...I wasn't going to leave until he agreed to replace the TCM, finally he did. I was ready to pitch a tent and not move. (He didn't think that was funny.)

New TCM "fixed" the problem for 3 months, then I was driving on the interstate and lost power then the car surged forward, scared me to death. Then the engine light came on, took it this time to my local garage and it was the 02 sensor, when the mechanic took it out it was burnt. Replaced that and another code had come up, the converter. Had it all "fixed" and I was done. Problem is this car is unfixable, it will just get worse, I wanted to think maybe it'll be okay but the truth is it never will be so I got rid of it. That is the best thing to do and move forward.

Traded it in and bought a Hyundai. Lost money of course and the thought of having to do that upset me greatly but the stress and having to deal with the crooks at Ford are too much. Plus more importantly this car can cause a serious accident. Apparently my car is going to be sold back to Ford who I'm sure will put it back on the lot to sell to a very unfortunate person and the cycle will continue. Run, don't walk and get rid of the car now before you spend thousands more on it then wait for the next thing to happen.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I have had countless recalls for this 2013 Ford Focus. Currently, my trunk randomly opens. Pretty scary when you're driving 70 miles on the interstate. I recently took the car in to the dealership for them to fix the latest recall and look at my trunk. They said since it didn't open while at the garage. They had no way of diagnosing it. Basically refused to do anything with it.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Had trouble with transmission. Customer service after deal was closed. Left lot to be desired. No mention of problems were mentioned before purchase which is wrong since I need DEPENDABLE transportation. After MANY trips, they did fix it temporarily but who can afford to purchase another car so soon after buying one!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

On 9/15/2015 I bought a use 2014 Ford Focus with 40,300 miles, I felt that I was getting a good car with low miles, but was I in the surprise of my life. I has the car about 5 months and the transmission starting giving me problems. I carry the car back to the dealer, he said the clutch was bad, so they remove it, clean it and put it back in, in other word, put a band-aid on the wound and send it on the way. I had to demand a rental car while they has the car in the shop. What make it so bad some of the customer service people was very hateful to me. Now the warranty is out. They tell me that it will cost $2325 to fix the car. I have call the customer service of Ford and they said that there was nothing they could do to help me, to keep working with the local dealer and let them help me.

But the real problem was, when I ask he was I the only person that call them and complaint about the Focus and the man said yes. I told them I carry the car in twice and they said that they could not put it on the machine because the light was not on to let them know that there was a problem and that they did nothing, now the car have 107,000 miles and not running. I feel that someone should help all of us that have the problem and if I were to buy a new transmission who say that I would not get another bad one. It is not the just the Focus. It is the Fiesta.

Ford Focus Company Information