4.5/5 (119 ratings)

About Vista Energy Marketing

Vista Energy is a gas supplier that offers both residential and commercial utility services in select states across the nation. The company offers its services for a predictable monthly rate, rather than a traditional fluctuating rate. It’s free both to sign up for and to cancel a Vista Energy account.

Pros

• Predictable rate
  • No enrollment or cancellation fees
  • Can cancel anytime

Cons

• Could be locked into a higher rate
  • Unexpected fees

Bottom Line

Vista Energy is a third-party gas and electricity supplier. If you’re in its service area, enrollment could help you save on utility expenses; however, you could face unexpected fees or get locked into a rate higher than expected.

Top Vista Energy Marketing Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Chris provided great customer service and was friendly. He was patient with questions and explained the pricing clearly. He quoted good fixed prices and was easy to work with. I w...

Verified

After mistakenly signing up with another company before my contract ended, I canceled them and returned to Vista. Chris was very personable and professional and was excellent with...

What is Vista Energy?

Vista Energy is a third-party company authorized by government-regulated utility companies like PG&E to sell and distribute electricity and natural gas directly to customers. If you’re in a residential area in California, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Wyoming, you can have Vista Energy purchase your natural gas or electricity for you and distribute it to your local utility company’s pipeline network.

Vista Energy also provides commercial services in these nine states and in Arizona, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington.

How does Vista Energy work?

Vista Energy is considered a Core Transparent Agent, meaning it’s a deregulated energy provider that (ideally) lets you save money on your utility costs while still receiving service from your local regulated utility company. When you choose to enroll with a CTA such as Vista Energy, you pay the price established by the CTA rather than market price.

Vista Energy rates

Vista Energy’s rate plans vary by service area. While many find Vista Energy’s base rate comparable to local utility company rates, you may incur some unexpected costs like administrative fees. It’s important to read Vista Energy’s contracts carefully and review the welcome letter, which specifies administrative or miscellaneous charges. Contact customer service to address any questions.

Vista Energy FAQ

Is Vista part of PG&E, NICOR, Black Hills Energy, or other regulated utility suppliers?
Vista Energy isn’t affiliated with any other company. However, it has completed the certification process for all regulated energy companies and corporations and has been approved to participate in their programs as a third-party supplier of natural gas. Vista Energy’s standards of conduct and marketing practices are regulated by the states’ public utilities commissions.
Where is Vista available?
Vista Energy is available in certain residential ZIP codes throughout California, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wyoming. Its commercial services are offered in these nine states and in Arizona, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington. As of February 2020, Vista Energy began one- and two-year natural gas plans for agricultural customers in Nebraska.
Where is Vista located?
Vista’s corporate office is located in Houston, Texas.
Who owns Vista?
Vista Energy is properly known as Vista Energy Marketing, LP, and it operates as its own institution.

Is Vista Energy worth it?

Vista Energy is sometimes more affordable than regulated utility companies, depending on the fluctuating market rate, and it offers the predictability of a fixed rate for the duration of enrollment. If you live in its service area, are budget conscious and follow the market price of natural gas — and therefore can be vigilant in avoiding additional fees — you might want to consider Vista Energy as an alternative gas supplier.

Vista Energy Marketing Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vista Energy Marketing?

Original review: May 13, 2021

Had a problem with PG&E not forwarding our payments to Vista. We received a call from Vista and were told our account was delinquent for over 60 days. I called PG&E and they told us we had overpaid and they said that they didn't know why Vista hadn't been paid in full. Tried to pay Vista directly and found out we couldn't. PG&E said they would pay Vista. We decided to quit Vista because we don't want negative items on our credit report when we over pay our bills to make sure everyone's happy. So I called back and canceled our account and the young lady gave us a offer of a fixed rate for a year but I declined.

Told my pop about the offer and since this was the first problem in the couple of years of having an account with Vista I called back and withdrew my cancelation and accepted the offer. Your service rep was very professional even though I was pretty hot about the delinquent account and how hard it is to make sure your company is paid on time. She is one of the reasons we stayed with your company. Thank you.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Get buying tips about Pennsylvania Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2021

When the Vista Energy rep said, “When you sign up, we would give you a gift card to Walmart,” my niece said, “Auntie Kitty, yes, give this.” I said, “Okay. I’m going to sign up.” But I never got the gift card. I called and they said that I have to do something online. But I told the customer service lady that the man didn't say that. Because I'm disabled and I can't do too much stuff online. Somebody has to help me. So I just said, “Forget it.” But I still saved my energy and I’ll recommend Vista Energy. But I’m not satisfied because I wish they would’ve made it clearer about the gift card. I’m not worried about the gift card. It’s just the principle of it.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Thank you for the rating Kandice and call customer service we will assist you with the gift card. Call us at 888-508-4782 we open at 7 a.m. CST

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I went from a daily rate charge to a per-therm charge, and Vista didn't notify me. I called to find out and I was told that it was all listed in the contract when I originally signed up, which was three years ago. They should give notice people when they're going to do the increase instead of depending on the original contract and people to know that. But I like working with Vista a lot. Their customer service is very good, responsive and agreeable, which is different from some of the other energy companies that are available. They will work with you. I asked them to re-rate a bill that came in and they said that they couldn’t change the current bill but what they could send me a refund. PG&E or SMUD would have never done that.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Vista's rate is very competitive. My only complaint about them is that it wasn't clear to me that the year-to-year arrangement we're doing with them was a year-to-year until I called. I can do all my bills online so I don't always notice changes. There was a big increase in what we were paying because it defaulted to a very high rate. I called Vista and discovered that I have to call year to year to sign up again in which case the rate is extremely competitive. But, if I miss that date, I start paying quite a bit. Other than that, the people I've talked to there have been super helpful. If I know to ask them when my plan is gonna expire, they tell me. They didn't make it hard to get on another plan.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

They came to my door and were offering the service. I listened to what they had to say and it sounded like a good idea. It was gonna lower my gas bill by almost 75% and it did. I just renewed the service last week. I called them and gave them my name and address. They looked at my account then said I'm good to go for the next year. They also lowered my rate. My thermal unit rate went from was 60 cents to 44 cents. Before I had this, with regular PG&E, I was paying almost $175 per unit. My gas bill in the wintertime used to be almost $300 because I put the heater on. Now it's $130 at the most. I get a statement on my PG&E bill that has Vista at the very bottom and it shows how much I pay them. Vista has been really good. I have recommended it to many people at work and a lot of people have called and said, "You're right. It lowered my gas bill dramatically." They've all told me nothing but good things about them.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Chris was fantastic. Diligently followed up over multiple days to ensure my sign up was processed and confirmed. Called back when he said he would. Everything a good customer service rep should do. Outstanding customer service. All your customer service representatives should follow his example.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Thank you for the Great rating!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I've had Vista Energy for a year now. A lady came to my door, and I signed up with them. It went very well.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Ms. ** was very helpful when I called to end our contract. She explained that Vista would contact the utility company to have service transferred back to them and it wasn’t necessary for me to make further contact. She was very friendly and business like and is a credit to the company.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I have no bad experience with Vista Energy marketing. I just want to cancel because I'm not good for changes. The man that came to my house, his name was Davinder who was very nice. Even the lady on the phone who help me was very nice. It's not the company or person. I just want to stay the way things are, I am not good for changes. Thank you. Darlene **

Vista Energy Marketing response

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I called to cancel my Vista service because it did not make economic sense. It would cost me less to buy my gas from my local utility company. Kathleen was able to offer me a lower priced package that made me decide to stay with Vista.

Vista Energy Marketing Company Information