4.4/5 (95 ratings)

About Vista Energy Marketing

Vista Energy is a gas supplier that offers both residential and commercial utility services in select states across the nation. The company offers its services for a predictable monthly rate, rather than a traditional fluctuating rate. It’s free both to sign up for and to cancel a Vista Energy account.

Pros

• Predictable rate
  • No enrollment or cancellation fees
  • Can cancel anytime

Cons

• Could be locked into a higher rate
  • Unexpected fees

Bottom Line

Vista Energy is a third-party gas and electricity supplier. If you’re in its service area, enrollment could help you save on utility expenses; however, you could face unexpected fees or get locked into a rate higher than expected.

Top Vista Energy Marketing Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Chris provided great customer service and was friendly. He was patient with questions and explained the pricing clearly. He quoted good fixed prices and was easy to work with. I w...

Verified

After mistakenly signing up with another company before my contract ended, I canceled them and returned to Vista. Chris was very personable and professional and was excellent with...

What is Vista Energy?

Vista Energy is a third-party company authorized by government-regulated utility companies like PG&E to sell and distribute electricity and natural gas directly to customers. If you’re in a residential area in California, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Wyoming, you can have Vista Energy purchase your natural gas or electricity for you and distribute it to your local utility company’s pipeline network.

Vista Energy also provides commercial services in these nine states and in Arizona, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington.

How does Vista Energy work?

Vista Energy is considered a Core Transparent Agent, meaning it’s a deregulated energy provider that (ideally) lets you save money on your utility costs while still receiving service from your local regulated utility company. When you choose to enroll with a CTA such as Vista Energy, you pay the price established by the CTA rather than market price.

Vista Energy rates

Vista Energy’s rate plans vary by service area. While many find Vista Energy’s base rate comparable to local utility company rates, you may incur some unexpected costs like administrative fees. It’s important to read Vista Energy’s contracts carefully and review the welcome letter, which specifies administrative or miscellaneous charges. Contact customer service to address any questions.

Vista Energy FAQ

Is Vista part of PG&E, NICOR, Black Hills Energy, or other regulated utility suppliers?
Vista Energy isn’t affiliated with any other company. However, it has completed the certification process for all regulated energy companies and corporations and has been approved to participate in their programs as a third-party supplier of natural gas. Vista Energy’s standards of conduct and marketing practices are regulated by the states’ public utilities commissions.
Where is Vista available?
Vista Energy is available in certain residential ZIP codes throughout California, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wyoming. Its commercial services are offered in these nine states and in Arizona, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington. As of February 2020, Vista Energy began one- and two-year natural gas plans for agricultural customers in Nebraska.
Where is Vista located?
Vista’s corporate office is located in Houston, Texas.
Who owns Vista?
Vista Energy is properly known as Vista Energy Marketing, LP, and it operates as its own institution.

Is Vista Energy worth it?

Vista Energy is sometimes more affordable than regulated utility companies, depending on the fluctuating market rate, and it offers the predictability of a fixed rate for the duration of enrollment. If you live in its service area, are budget conscious and follow the market price of natural gas — and therefore can be vigilant in avoiding additional fees — you might want to consider Vista Energy as an alternative gas supplier.

Vista Energy Marketing Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vista Energy Marketing?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I had the privilege of talking with Ms. Jacqueline G. and it was a most wonderful experience. Not only did she empathize with my predicament, she went a step further and explained to me an alternate solution which was amazing. She was patient, professional and very polite. She is very knowledgeable in the area of which I had called about and there were no times at which she had to consult with anyone or anything else. She went the extra mile at numerous times in order to make clear everything that she was talking to me about and by the time that we ended our chat, I was completely satisfied and content. She is certainly a credit to her company, position and her field. She is amazing and quite wonderful. There are not many customer service representatives in her category. Thank you, Ms. Jacqueline, for your exceptional service.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Thank you so much for the good rating.

Get buying tips about Pennsylvania Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2021

We just moved to Casper, Wyoming and the house we bought already had a contract with Black Hills Energy. When time started coming around to select a new plan, I got a bunch of emails. My wife and I looked them over, and Vista was the one we decided to go with. I compared prices and we saw some other prices better with a different company. However, Vista said to let them know what the pricing was and that they would try to match it and they did. That's why I still went with them. It was also easy to enroll. It was done over the phone. We got a two-year plan at a single rate, so I knew what my bill would be each month instead of being sporadic.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Original review: May 13, 2021

Had a problem with PG&E not forwarding our payments to Vista. We received a call from Vista and were told our account was delinquent for over 60 days. I called PG&E and they told us we had overpaid and they said that they didn't know why Vista hadn't been paid in full. Tried to pay Vista directly and found out we couldn't. PG&E said they would pay Vista. We decided to quit Vista because we don't want negative items on our credit report when we over pay our bills to make sure everyone's happy. So I called back and canceled our account and the young lady gave us a offer of a fixed rate for a year but I declined.

Told my pop about the offer and since this was the first problem in the couple of years of having an account with Vista I called back and withdrew my cancelation and accepted the offer. Your service rep was very professional even though I was pretty hot about the delinquent account and how hard it is to make sure your company is paid on time. She is one of the reasons we stayed with your company. Thank you.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Original review: April 15, 2021

When the Vista Energy rep said, “When you sign up, we would give you a gift card to Walmart,” my niece said, “Auntie Kitty, yes, give this.” I said, “Okay. I’m going to sign up.” But I never got the gift card. I called and they said that I have to do something online. But I told the customer service lady that the man didn't say that. Because I'm disabled and I can't do too much stuff online. Somebody has to help me. So I just said, “Forget it.” But I still saved my energy and I’ll recommend Vista Energy. But I’m not satisfied because I wish they would’ve made it clearer about the gift card. I’m not worried about the gift card. It’s just the principle of it.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Thank you for the rating Kandice and call customer service we will assist you with the gift card. Call us at 888-508-4782 we open at 7 a.m. CST

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I went from a daily rate charge to a per-therm charge, and Vista didn't notify me. I called to find out and I was told that it was all listed in the contract when I originally signed up, which was three years ago. They should give notice people when they're going to do the increase instead of depending on the original contract and people to know that. But I like working with Vista a lot. Their customer service is very good, responsive and agreeable, which is different from some of the other energy companies that are available. They will work with you. I asked them to re-rate a bill that came in and they said that they couldn’t change the current bill but what they could send me a refund. PG&E or SMUD would have never done that.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I received assistance from Tiellie regarding my account. She provided a lot of useful information and was able to help me quickly so that I could get back to what I was doing. Highly recommend her for anyone needing help.

Thank you for the good rating.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I found out that I had been paying Vista Energy too much and they re-straightened that out a month ago. They need to get somebody in their office that could send out an email, text, or letter to notify customers that their discount is coming to an end about a month before the renewal. I didn't know that and I ended up paying way too much for the gas for two years. I paid double what I should have been paying and I didn't get any savings.

Compared to PG&E, Vista is pretty bad. It makes it look like they're just hoping you didn’t do it and you pay more. Now that I know, I marked it on my next year's calendar that I would need to renew in December. If they notify their customers, then Vista would be a better deal than PG&E. So far, I've been dissatisfied for two years.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I called to cancel my service and thankfully there was not a long wait time. Got to talk to someone who assisted me right away and also answered a few questions I had about the plan. The customer service representative was nice.

Thank you for the good rating.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

I was just trying Vista Energy out. The rep told me much information I needed to know about it and what would happen with my bill and what I should be looking for in the mail. I just got a PG&E bill recently in the mail and it was all right.

Thank you for the good rating.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

I switched to Vista hoping that it was going to be less but I don't know if it is less or not. I don't see where there have been big savings in the bills. I'm not satisfied.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Dear Mrs. Henderson, we really want to help you. An account specialist called you on 12/15/2021 to go over the account and price per therm with you. I see that at the moment you are paying a fixed rate of .699/therm until November 2022. If you need further assistance, please contact Vista Energy at 1-888-508-4782 Monday - Friday from 7am to 6pm CST.

Vista Energy Marketing Company Information