4.6/5 (100 ratings)

About Vista Energy Marketing

Vista Energy is a gas supplier that offers both residential and commercial utility services in select states across the nation. The company offers its services for a predictable monthly rate, rather than a traditional fluctuating rate. It’s free both to sign up for and to cancel a Vista Energy account.

Pros

• Predictable rate
  • No enrollment or cancellation fees
  • Can cancel anytime

Cons

• Could be locked into a higher rate
  • Unexpected fees

Bottom Line

Vista Energy is a third-party gas and electricity supplier. If you’re in its service area, enrollment could help you save on utility expenses; however, you could face unexpected fees or get locked into a rate higher than expected.

Top Vista Energy Marketing Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Chris provided great customer service and was friendly. He was patient with questions and explained the pricing clearly. He quoted good fixed prices and was easy to work with. I w...

Verified

After mistakenly signing up with another company before my contract ended, I canceled them and returned to Vista. Chris was very personable and professional and was excellent with...

What is Vista Energy?

Vista Energy is a third-party company authorized by government-regulated utility companies like PG&E to sell and distribute electricity and natural gas directly to customers. If you’re in a residential area in California, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Wyoming, you can have Vista Energy purchase your natural gas or electricity for you and distribute it to your local utility company’s pipeline network.

Vista Energy also provides commercial services in these nine states and in Arizona, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington.

How does Vista Energy work?

Vista Energy is considered a Core Transparent Agent, meaning it’s a deregulated energy provider that (ideally) lets you save money on your utility costs while still receiving service from your local regulated utility company. When you choose to enroll with a CTA such as Vista Energy, you pay the price established by the CTA rather than market price.

Vista Energy rates

Vista Energy’s rate plans vary by service area. While many find Vista Energy’s base rate comparable to local utility company rates, you may incur some unexpected costs like administrative fees. It’s important to read Vista Energy’s contracts carefully and review the welcome letter, which specifies administrative or miscellaneous charges. Contact customer service to address any questions.

Vista Energy FAQ

Is Vista part of PG&E, NICOR, Black Hills Energy, or other regulated utility suppliers?
Vista Energy isn’t affiliated with any other company. However, it has completed the certification process for all regulated energy companies and corporations and has been approved to participate in their programs as a third-party supplier of natural gas. Vista Energy’s standards of conduct and marketing practices are regulated by the states’ public utilities commissions.
Where is Vista available?
Vista Energy is available in certain residential ZIP codes throughout California, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wyoming. Its commercial services are offered in these nine states and in Arizona, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington. As of February 2020, Vista Energy began one- and two-year natural gas plans for agricultural customers in Nebraska.
Where is Vista located?
Vista’s corporate office is located in Houston, Texas.
Who owns Vista?
Vista Energy is properly known as Vista Energy Marketing, LP, and it operates as its own institution.

Is Vista Energy worth it?

Vista Energy is sometimes more affordable than regulated utility companies, depending on the fluctuating market rate, and it offers the predictability of a fixed rate for the duration of enrollment. If you live in its service area, are budget conscious and follow the market price of natural gas — and therefore can be vigilant in avoiding additional fees — you might want to consider Vista Energy as an alternative gas supplier.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vista Energy Marketing?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I signed up for my nephew and then I just let it sit until last year, we got solar. They asked me about Vista because they look at your PG&E bill to make sure that you have a system that fits your needs. Vista seemed kind of expensive. So I called them and I said, "I just think I better get out of this whole thing because I'm not even understanding how it's saving me money." The rep said, "Well, you get a procurement charge whether it's us or PG&E." She kind of taught me how to stamp on it and then she ended up lowering the procurement charge. So now I'm a little more proactive.

The rep didn't try to convince me to stay. She was just educating me and then I decided to stay. I had a good experience. But it would have maybe been nice if they had reached out to say, "We just want to make sure you understand how you can best benefit from this." I had to figure it out on my own. But at the same time, everyone needs to be responsible for the choices they make.

Thank you for the good rating.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I got a new AC installed in the house and I was under the impression that we were still under the unlimited, $1 a day plan. It turned out that I wasn't. So, my bill was almost triple what I thought it was gonna be. I was still getting charged the monthly fee so I figured that I was still under that contract but I wasn't. I reached out to Vista and they said that I was charged this much amount because I was out of the contract. But they can renew it and it'll start at the beginning of the year. Vista should give people more knowledge because I wasn’t told that this had to be renewed every year. And back then, they didn't have more plans available, other than the unlimited, $1 a day kind of deal. But this time around, I did a different one. It's not unlimited anymore but it's cheaper. You only get charged what you use and it's cheaper than the regular gas that's provided by PG&E.

Thank you for the good rating.

Get buying tips about Pennsylvania Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I had the privilege of talking with Ms. Jacqueline G. and it was a most wonderful experience. Not only did she empathize with my predicament, she went a step further and explained to me an alternate solution which was amazing. She was patient, professional and very polite. She is very knowledgeable in the area of which I had called about and there were no times at which she had to consult with anyone or anything else. She went the extra mile at numerous times in order to make clear everything that she was talking to me about and by the time that we ended our chat, I was completely satisfied and content. She is certainly a credit to her company, position and her field. She is amazing and quite wonderful. There are not many customer service representatives in her category. Thank you, Ms. Jacqueline, for your exceptional service.

Vista Energy Marketing response

Thank you so much for the good rating.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

At first, I asked where the Vista connection was because I didn’t see it on the first bill. The rep said that it takes up to the second bill out. So, I had to wait the month after until I saw it. We got that cleared up and everything was normal. So that was fine. I'm still paying around the same amount and I don’t see a big drop in my bill. I sleep with my lights off but some people sleep with their lights on. They might as well sign up with Vista and continue with it.

Thank you for the good rating.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

I like the fact that Vista was more environmentally aware. I went ahead and signed up. I wasn't using my gas a lot though. I really did not know what my usage was when I signed up. I ended up calling back and saying I wanted to cancel because I'm really right now only using my gas heater for a pilot light. They made me an offer of $5 a month and that I could still cancel at any time. So, I'm going to stick with that for right now. The lady I spoke with was very nice and helpful.

Thank you for the good rating.

Original review: June 27, 2022

Did a good job. Got straight to the point and resolved my issue quickly. Would recommend to friends. Thanks a lot, Tiellie! Give her a raise. Like she seriously did a really good job. Hope to talk to you again.

Thank you for the good rating.

Original review: June 23, 2022

Susana helped me cancel my account. She was very helpful and understanding. She made sure I understood all my charges and the options available to me. I definitely appreciate all the help during our interaction.

Thank you for the good rating.

Original review: June 21, 2022

Never received my three months bonus. Called and had it re-shipped. Contact was very helpful. Also had my electric service plan changed. I felt that the one dollar a day was causing me to pay more for my electric service than I ever paid when I was with American Electric Power Company. Your awards after three, nine and fifteen months are not worth the dollar per day fees.

Thank you for the good rating.

Original review: June 16, 2022

I called about my rewards that I had never received, it was my fault for the mistake. Katherine said it was not a problem and said that it would be taken care of the next day. This is the kind of customer service all companies should follow. I have told my neighbor about Vista, that she should look into them for herself.

Thank you for the good rating.

Original review: June 8, 2022

Chris was very helpful. He was able to solve my situation very quickly and better explain the contract that I signed for. He was friendly and nice towards me and I have no negative things to say about his service.

Vista Energy Marketing Company Information