4.45/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Santanna Energy has provided energy services to thousands of companies and residential customers for over 28 years. We recognize the public is seeking an energy provider that not only offers competitive energy prices but also great customer service, which is why we strive to offer the best of both worlds. Santanna Energy specializes in offering cost-effective, top-notch services to both commercial small business customers and larger industrial customers who are looking for an alternative to their local distribution company. Santanna Energy strives to provide every customer with the finest energy service possible.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 6, 2017

355 Santanna Energy Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Santanna is on my gas bill. I liked the rate that they gave me and when I first went with them there was no penalty for opting out before the 12 months. The reps are great. They're not pushy about trying to get you into their program. They just tell you what they have to offer you and they will tell you a couple other rates from different places, and you can compare them. You can even get online and compare a couple of different places and Santanna is on top. I checked in with two or three other ones that called me. They wanted me to go with them and they had a $100 fee switch out before 12 months or even the six months fixed rate.

Also, most companies are locked in a fixed rate versus a variable rate. With Santanna, I started off with 0.056 and now I'm down to 0.054. I just renewed my contract with them. While anybody else's rate is going up, Santanna offered me a better rate than what they gave me last year. As long as they keep their rates down below everybody else, that's where I will stay. It sells itself because of the rates that they have. The six month lock in for the fixed rate might be just a little bit higher but I did the 12 months lock in.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Santanna had a lower rate compared to other energy companies and when I had gotten an even lower offer through the mail I called Santanna and they were very helpful. They matched the rate so I was thrilled. It was a good experience all around.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I received a call from Santanna Energy, could not understand the man's accent, and was at lunch with my father who just lost his wife, my mother. We are going through bills and such trying to get things sorted out for she paid all the bills. I had him call me back at 3:30 pm, he called back at 2:30 pm as we were a block away from home, he asked if I had pen and paper as I was opening the house. I sat down at the table and asked what this call was about, and he went on about lower rates and such, I said I was not interested in his sales of whatever he was talking about and he starts scolding me like a child, said I was wasting his time, as he was YELLING at me I said, "YOU called ME and wasted MY time TWICE today" and he hung up on me! What a rude way to drum up business!! Believe me this is my review, and I'm not done yet people! Stay away from this scam.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I needed to find an energy service provider because Commonwealth Edison was no longer going to provide the energy. So, I called the town officials but they couldn’t recommend anything. I went to a website and came upon Santanna Energy Services. I inquired from them about residential electricity and gas services, and their rates were lower. Enrolling with them was easy and straightforward.

Later on, I had some difficulty because another company called and got my account information, and transferred me to a different service without informing me. Getting switched backed to Santanna was a little more complicated, but it ultimately worked out. It was pretty shady, though, and halfway through I told them that I wasn't comfortable giving them my information, but apparently I had already provided it and I asked them if they were able to change my account.

I've been on the phone with several customer service reps, particularly during the confusion with the account changes, and they were all helpful. I got the name of somebody to talk to throughout, so I didn't have to get through the story all over again and that worked fine. My experience with Santanna has been good and the only issue is that I continue to get emails from them talking about lower rates and how I should join them, so they haven't quite caught up with the fact that I've already done that, and I don't like more emails than I need. Despite that, Santanna has generally been economical, easy and convenient.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I've been with Santanna now for 8 years. At the very beginning, being able to lock in a rate got me interested. Santanna called and told me about their services and then I was able to make a decision based on what they gave me. I stuck with them because out of all the service providers, they are the ones that tend to have the best lock in rate each year. When I go to lock in my rate again each year, I talk to their reps. They're very friendly and will help me get what I need. Santanna has good customer service and they have a decent product. They're a good company to work with.

The only thing is the last couple of years, the rate that I've locked in at has been slightly above what the normal monthly going rate would be if I stuck with Consumers Energy. I am not a hundred percent great with that part. But that's my choice to lock in a rate in order to prevent it from going up. Still, Santanna has been the best rate to lock in but it happens to be the lock in rate is higher than what the average has been for the last couple of seasons. Nevertheless, it's a small part of the whole entire picture. And for the most part, I'd been very satisfied with everything else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Santanna Energy Services?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I’ve had Santanna Energy Services for few years. They had the best deal and I had no issues when I enrolled. The people I’ve talked to have been very nice as well. I am very happy and satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I was shown some different rates from three or four different companies and Santanna Energy Services had the best rate available. They were very cooperative and very friendly. I took a couple of years contract and then I renewed it. Their customer service had always been good and they knew what they're doing and talking about. Santanna is a great company and their employees were highly educated with what they're selling. I wish I had an experience like this with other companies I've dealt with.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I had a friend that was selling something similar to Santanna Energy and I figured, I’d look a little more into it and do some more research. I went with them but then, they recently backed out of the company. So, I really didn’t have a reason to stay with this other energy service company. When I bumped into this guy at the food festival, he seemed really friendly. He said, “You know, it’s only going to take two seconds. In fact, can I have a moment of your time?” Our environment’s pretty messed up right now with all the pollution. I know one person ain’t going to make a huge difference but at least, I can try. That was the reason why went into agreeing with the energy services.

Enrolment was short, sweet and simple. It took about three to five minutes of my time. I didn’t have to do anything different to my house. It was a pretty smooth and pleasant experience. So far, it’s been great. Santanna has been very generous and respectful every time they call. I spoke to two different ladies before. They wanted to fill me in on the details and I was already pretty familiar with it previously. They were going into the details and it was really helpful. Santanna had been calling me every step of the way to make sure everything’s okay, all the services are accurate, everything that we agreed upon. I didn’t have to do anything special. I was pretty much signed up and it was as easy as that. They have friendly staff and they made the whole experience painless.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I’ve had Santanna Energy for a couple of years already. I compared prices with what Commonwealth Edison was offering, and Santanna's bill is more reasonable than what Commonwealth Edison would charge me. Enrolling with them was easy, too. I haven’t had any issues.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Santanna and different companies called me but my sons helped me out and told me to go with them. Their energy services were good. I answered all their questions when I was enrolling with them and they were polite. My sons picked the rates and they're on my electric bill. I pay once a month so everything's cool. I had to call them because another electric company called and when I spoke to the girl from Santanna, she told me to call in September, which I had my calendar marked because the rates can change and be lower. I have no complaints. Everything was taken care of.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I'm a DTE customer and every year, I love to look at the suppliers for natural gas and the line. I get the print-off from the area, I call different companies and see what they have available and what they charge per cube. I go for fixed and Santanna used to get one of the best programs and they've been the most competitive one. Also, their customer service team always works with me pretty good and they're not pushy. I own furniture stores and gas is an expense so I looked for the best rate and they told me what is the volume rate, if there's any difference and when I should call back. We've been with them for quite a while and they always work with me on the four locations I have. I pay my bills and they send me gas. It seems fine and we've been very happy with them.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Santanna Energy called me about changing my gas to electric. It was gas at first and I did for a while. Then, I found a lower rate and went with somebody else. Recently, they contacted me and offered me lower rates on both gas and electric and I took it. I was looking at different energy things before they called because I was contracted at a lower rate with the people I was with. Then when the contract was up, we went month by month and it got expensive in the winter. So Santanna called at the right time.

All my interactions with their customer service was positive. I had set up with them for my money to be taken out. When we first switched over, I had my money taken out every month by the utility. But my credit card was hacked, I got a new one and they couldn’t take it out. Santanna contacted me and wanted to know what happened. And I told them that on the same day, I had straightened it out and there won’t be a problem. My experience with them has always been positive. I’m well-satisfied and I will recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Consumers was getting too high with their prices for their service. I read about Santanna Energy and when I called them, they were helpful and friendly. I’ve had them for quite a few years now and my experience is good. I like their prices, plus their customer service is great. Enrolling with them was easy and good, too. I told them that I’ve given my number for my Consumers and they gave me a rate and then they asked if I wanted to set the rate in. I said "Yes" and they told me there’s nothing for me to do. They contacted Consumers, and then, every year, you can call them back and see if you want to lock in a price or you don’t have to call them back and go with the flow. I’m glad that Santanna is keeping their prices low and they’re not gouging prices like Consumers had for years. I’ve already recommended them.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

Santanna Energy is a good company to do business with. I was looking into energy services to get a lower electrical bill and they were willing to give me a reasonable rate. Enrolling with them is easy. I did everything online and after I was done, a helpful representative answered all my questions about the fee, which she even removed eventually. Overall, it seems like all the customers are important to them because it was easy to speak to someone.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I was paying too much through my first energy contract so I did an apples to apples comparison and Santanna was the lowest. Also, sometimes there are all these restrictions and it seemed like Santanna was the best deal. At first, I was doing my gas but it popped that I could change my electric, so I did that too. Enrolling was really easy. I did it online and I'm not really that savvy but I didn't have any trouble. One time, my contract was up and I called them. I talked to a really nice guy and he said to keep checking back because sometimes the rate gets better as the summer goes and I could get a lower rate if it's available.

Original review: July 1, 2017

We always go with whoever gives us the best deal and we went with Santanna for their price. Enrolling with them was easy. If the price is good when it’s ready to renew, I’ll stick with them.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I’ve been with Santanna Energy since 2009. We have a gas hot water tank through them. I chose them over other energy services because they were willing to give me a good deal. And the deal last year was really good. And they said if they find something lower, they’ll let me know. Enrolling with them was fine, as well. Once I signed up, they gave me the contract and then when my year comes up, I can just call and tell them I don’t want them anymore.

Anytime I’ve called, they’ve always been polite and courteous. Also, when it’s time to renew, they send me a paper and I write a number that they tell me. And when I get my bill, I check at the back and make sure that it’s the number. There’s just one time when there was a mix-up but they corrected it and I’ve had no problem with them.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I switched to Santanna’s services for gas because their rates were a lot better than what the other place was. And signing up was easy. We did it over the phone and then they sent me a contract with the rate on it and the expiration date, and that was it. It’s been good. I just renewed my stuff. This is I think my second or third time. At the end of the month, I'm gonna call and see if they got a better rate because I renewed in May and that’s still a winter rate. Their reps are pretty helpful. All the employees that I dealt with were courteous and knew what they were talking about.

Original review: June 17, 2017

Enrolling with Santanna was fine. Their customer service even suggested that I get a lower rate during the summer because it would probably still be lower when the six months expired come winter time. Our discussions were totally adequate, they explained everything to me and I was satisfied.

Original review: June 16, 2017

A gentleman came to my house and told me about Santanna. I used to do door-to-door sales and I had some compassion for the man, so I decided to try it out. He was very nice and he educated me on the difference between ComEd and Santanna and their different roles, and I thought that it made good sense. And I've had a good experience having a fixed rate with them. The longest process I had recently was switching over to my new location but it hasn’t been any issue at all. It was just a long process over the phone. Overall, I'm completely happy with Santanna Energy.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I got the gas service from Santanna because of their lower rates. This is the first time that I've applied with them and it was completely easy. I called them on the phone and I was completely satisfied with the reps that I spoke with. I just started using their service but so far, everything’s awesome.

Original review: May 17, 2017

It’s been really good having Santanna Energy. I’ve had them for quite a while now. A young lady came to the door a number of years ago and she explained it all very well and we tried it and liked it. That personal touch of coming to the door was much better than all the phone calls you get. When I had to renew my contract, the kid I talked to was really good. I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get the price that I had previously which I was a little disappointed. But, everything goes up. That’s the way it is. But of all the companies that call, Santanna always gives the price they say they’re going to give you and I’ve been pleased with them.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I have been a Santanna Gas customer for about 7 years, contracting for one year at a time for natural gas which they buy for DTE Energy, and resell to customers at a fixed rate - usually lower than the variable price per ccf from DTE. No significant problems with Santanna until recently when my contract expired in Dec. 2016, and my gas from Santanna went to an artificially high market price; higher significantly than DTE's comparable price/CCF (100 Cubic Feet). I noticed that my bill was somewhat higher than expected, but thought it was due to the variable cold Spring weather.

I have contacted Santanna Energy and relayed my concern expecting that it was a mistake of some kind, however Customer Service "Sean" explained that this is a normal charge for service since my contract with them expired with the Jan 2017 service. I explained to his that I had checked my bills paid to DTE with the Santanna charges and have paid a total of nearly $500. In 4 months (Jan-April) with the excessive "service" charges added to the market price of gas. I have done some internet research into Santanna Energy and find mixed reviews from past and present customers, but discovered that they paid a large 8 million dollar settlement and reimbursement in the state of Illinois in 2006 for Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices.

I am not yet finished with my investigation of their customer abuses including myself, but fully intend to report them to the BBB, Michigan Attorney General, Michigan Public Service Commission, Lansing, Mich., and to my local political representatives. I have talked at length to customer service at DTE, however it appears that the representative nor her supervisor, (although very friendly and willing to help) could not grasp the fact that the bills sent by DTE with the inclusive Santana charges do not even add up correctly to the total charges listed. My complaint to them is presently under review by their department managers. If I feel that Santanna Energy is not willing to correct this situation, I will also contact WOOD-TV and WZZM-TV for their investigation and input into making the public aware of this company's fraudulent practices.

Santanna Energy Services response

Customer: Douglas Dalton

Gas- Date Enrolled– 12/14/2015 Date started- 01/08/2016 Term date- 06/08/2017

Enrollment Channel – Telemarketer

Customer Concern Received from Consumer Affairs: 06/1/2017

Customer Concern Investigation:

SES spoke with Mr. Douglas Dalton on 6/14/2017 to discuss his complaint.

• Mr. Douglas Dalton enrolled with SES on 12/14/2015, SES sent him a renewal letter on 11/7/2016, before his contract expired, but Mr. Douglas Dalton never contact SES to renew his account and the account went to market rate.
2 weeks ago I receive a bill from DTE Energy with all their nondescript charges, and includes Santanna's gas charge for my one month use. It was again, unusually high, but for the period of 3/06/17 to 4/06/17 DTE gas delivery, etc. charges was $49.72; Santanna's charges were added at $55.87 for GAS, and $165.18 for "Total Santanna Energy Services Supplier Charges." This bill is due to be paid by May 25, 2017, and I was preparing to do so on 5-15-17 when I received another bill in the mail from DTE (including Santana charges) which was due on 6-01-17, six days after the due date of the first bill. This bill is for a total of 57 CCF with Santanna charging $170.45 total, with $138.14 for Santanna Energy Services Supplier Charges. The combined bill totals $278.27. I have contacted Santanna Energy and relayed my concern expecting that it was a mistake of some kind, however Customer Service "Sean" explained that this is a normal charge for service since my contract with them expired with the Jan 2017 service. I explained to his that I had checked my bills paid to DTE with the Santanna charges and have paid a total of nearly $500. In 4 months (Jan-April) with the excessive "service" charges added to the market price of gas.
• Mr. Douglas Dalton called SES on 5/15/2017 to make an inquiry regarding his bill. SES advised Mr. Douglas Dalton that DTE recently has upgraded their billing systems and have updated their customer account numbers. The charge on Mr. Douglas Dalton recent bill was due to a carried negative balance from the previous pay period.

• During our conversation, Mr. Douglas Dalton stated that he finally discovered that SES was not at fault for the error on his billing, the problem was from DTE. Mr. Douglas Dalton promised to make a positive review for SES on consumer affairs website.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I have been overcharged, unsatisfied, and lied to. I have canceled my service several times and the next month they're back on bill. In November 2016 I thought that I finally got out of contract after calling several times. I got letter "Confirmation of Service Termination" in mail. Then the next month they billed me again. I called. They stated I wasn't a customer. Had to send them copy of bill to show them they billed me. They said it might take a month. But they still billed me the next month too. I called again. Sent them a copy of my bill again.

Then in January I got another "Confirmation of Service Termination." February, March, and April more bills. I have been talking to the floor manager Uri ** each month and each month she states I'm not a customer. I've changed my account number and they still attach themselves to the bill. I want this resolved asap. I want a copy of my contract from them. I want a letter explaining why they are taking so long to fix my issue. Signed, very unsatisfied customer.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I have been with Santanna Energy with my electric for quite some time now. Then they called and said that they had a good rate for my gas. So I signed over to them. I should be getting my gas bill now and expecting lower rates. Their customer service has been very, very polite and helpful. Any questions I have, they’ve answered. I’ve had no problem with them. They’ve been very nice. Now that I’ve got both the electric and the gas, I feel much better knowing I’ve got one provider for both. I’d definitely recommend them.

Original review: March 27, 2017

Our experience using this company to provide our gas has been nothing but a total, absolute nightmare. I cannot count the times that, because of their billing people, our entire bill from Ameren IL didn't come to our business to be paid, it went to Santana and therefore, caused us to pay our bill late. Hijacking our bill is not a good business practice. When we've contacted their Customer Service Dept, we've been yelled at, cussed at, just absolutely overall unacceptable customer service behavior. We are not renewing our contract and we are filing complaints with the ICC regarding this company's extremely negative business practices.

Santanna Energy Services response
Customer: (Sparta Animal Clinic) Paula Allard

Date Enrolled– 06/16/2014 Date started- 5/01/2015 Term date- 05/01/2017

Enrollment Channel – Broker

Customer Concern Received from Consumer Affair: 06/1/2017

Customer Concern Investigation

SES spoke with Ms. Paula Allard on 6/14/2017 to discuss her complaint.

• SES reached out to Ameren several times regarding Ms. Paula Allard billing. SES received communication from Ameren that the issue was resolved. As of March 2017, SES confirmed that Ms. Paula Allard has been receiving her bill from Ameren.

• We train our representatives to be professional and have floor managers that roam the customer service representative would never condone such language.

• SES cancelled Ms. Allard gas account on 04/05/2017 as she requested. The final termination date was set for 05/01/2017, a date determined by her utility company, not SES.

SES apologizes for any inconvenience and misunderstanding this might have caused Ms. Paula Allard.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

Enrolling with Santanna has been a wonderful experience. Compared to my previous energy provider, Santanna is better. Our bill has a huge difference from before. Their customer service has been outstanding. They always answer my questions and help me with what I need. Overall, it has been perfect.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I switch to Santanna so I could get a cheaper gas rate but it's still over $100. I get this fee that I haven't gotten off my bill and I have paid it twice now. I was referred to Santanna by the person I live with and I moved about half mile away and she still gets the fee. But she said that on the bill, it's supposed to say Santanna and how much they took off. But it wasn't on there and I paid my bill about a week ago and that was about $112. But before that, it was $150. I know it will drop off shortly because the season has almost ended.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I had good luck with Santanna Energy and with what I've seen around they had competitive prices. So, instead of switching every often when there are better offers, I stayed with them. When their customer service rep talked to me, it was great. He answered everything I needed and took care of everything the way I wanted it.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

The person who talked to us is very good person. He explained to me everything, and he’s very professional and knowledgeable so we signed in with Santanna. I’ve been telling people about Santanna but I don’t know if they want to listen to me or not, but it’s their loss ‘cause Santanna is awesome! There was a time that I moved from one place to another and they waived the termination fee after I explained to them what’s happening. I'm staying with them. I was talking to one person in Ohio Edison and they were saying, “Compare Ohio Edison to Santanna,” and I said, “No, I want Santanna."

Santanna Energy Services Company Information