1.21/5

Pennsylvania

Need a utility company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

PECO Energy Company Reviews

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

On Thanksgiving morning at around 9am 2019, I heard the transformer blow out on my street. The whole block was out and my wife was just about to put turkey in oven. I called the PECO emergency line. Around 9:30am I stepped out to get coffees from Dunkin Donuts around the corner. I got back around 9:45am and as I pulled into my street, I noticed a PECO truck parked at the transformer. I honked at the technician as he was in his truck, he rolled down the window, I said, "I'm the one who called. I think the fuse blew out." He said "it's already back", then winked.

I swear, as he winked I noticed a Halo around his head, LOL, JK! I thanked him (actually wanted to hug him) and wished him a Happy Thanksgiving because he saved our Thanksgiving, Thank you to that technician (wish I knew his name) and thank you PECO ENERGY, who came out and fixed an outage within an hour on Thanksgiving Day, unheard of!!!!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I have never dealt with such a horrible company. I called them three weeks before my move to inform them of changing my service over. They assured me that everything would be ready on time. I close, go into my new home and there is no gas. I contact them and there is a lock on the meter and after two days of going back and forth with them and getting different stories every time I finally on Saturday get an appointment for the next Friday. I wait all week in the cold and of course no one shows up or calls on Friday. After an hour of fighting with them I now have to wait until Monday when it's going to be very cold all weekend. Thank you for making buying my dream home such a nightmare.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Called to open an account in both mine and my wife's name. Customer rep cut me off immediately and just transferred me without permission to a third company that tried to sell me some random warranties. Is this a joke? Have not been treated this crudely by customer service ever. Nice welcome to PECO. Maybe I should switch to propane electric.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

Why is PECO threatening to shut off electricity when I have not missed a billing cycle? My bill was due September 4th and letter was dated September 17th. If shut off, I will be required to pay an unspecified reconnection fee. Is this how PECO is bleeding the middle class?

Original review: June 10, 2019

Out of the blue I'm in collections for owing PECO $525.00. I have no knowledge of this account and I have received no correspondence with any details as to how this amount came about or what this is regarding. Why do I have to dispute this charge and have my credit score go down? Why doesn't PECO have to prove I am responsible for this first? Bad business!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PECO Energy Company?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Apparently I missed my payment due to a move to another state, when I found out I immediately paid full amount over the phone. I was then sent a threat of turn off 2 weeks after paying if I didn’t pay their assess deposit of 385.00 because I was late, essentially they want 385.00 to hold for 12 months! My bill I was late for was under 200. They hold the money for a year as they stated to me as punishment! I am reporting to Public Utility Commission to report this horrendous practice.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I made an online payment. I checked by bank a few days later and saw they charged me twice. I spoke with customer service who told me that I cannot get the refund back because even though I made a payment, I still had a balance due so they charged me for it. I said, "You unlawfully charged by credit card a second time because there was still a balance due?" She said, "Yes, well, it was due anyway." Stopped payment with my bank, which will take up to 30 days.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

An account was added to my credit report August 2018. According to Peco Energy, I owe them over $3,500 from the year 2013. The thing is, I closed and settled my account before I moved to Arizona in 2012. The customer service agent couldn't provide any more information for me, just referred me to a collections agency.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Took ten days to turn on... Moved into apartment and literally paid rent for space I couldn't even occupy. Plenty of turn off notices. I was always just paying and paying and paying. Definite wiring issue in my home causing my bill to be $700 a month sometimes! Called PECO to come check it out, they came and did nothing. Switched my showerhead... OH THANKS PECO YOU SAVED MY LIFE. My electricity with PECO is literally a rent bill. Terminated my account and left my apartment. I hope I never have to deal with this business again. They're not trying to help people.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I never received a shut off notice. Came home on July 23 to find my service shut off for $235.00 so I contact PECO because I had made a payment on the July 2 in the amount of $224.00. They stated that a new payment was due so after making a payment for $310.00 to get service restored I was told it would take anywhere from 4 to 72 hours for service to be back up and running. They had no care that I have a five-year-old in the home and this is a big home that runs hot on humid days, now I have to leave my front door open in a not so safe neighborhood and it’s already been 12 hours later. And not to mention I was told I have to make a payment of $174.23 by July 30th and my fridge is getting warm that’s going to be food wasted that I have to put more money out. PECO needs to get better with their service because they don’t have any problem ripping us off!

PECO Energy Company expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PECO provides utility service for the Philadelphia-region and southeastern Pennsylvania. They have served Pennsylvania for over 130 years.

• Assistance programs: PECO has options for low income customers who struggle to pay their energy bills every month. Customers can apply for assistance, whether they have low income or are experiencing temporary financial hardship.

• Gift electricity: Friends, family members and neighbors can gift electricity to someone in need. Pay any amount you want towards a loved one’s energy bill.

• Outage alerts: Sign up to receive outage alerts on your mobile device, so you always know when power is down in your area. Check the status of your power outage from PECO’s website, which is available on mobile devices as well as desktops.

• Multi-family incentives: Receive a free energy assessment and installation of energy-saving devices and products when you own a property with four or more units. Multi-family property owners can also enjoy incentives when they install or upgrade their current appliances and equipment to high-efficiency, energy-saving equipment.

• Online energy audits: Perform an energy audit on your home or business from PECO’s website. This can help you understand how you currently use energy so you can alter your usage to save money and conserve energy.

• Best for: PECO Energy Company is best for businesses and residents in the greater Philadelphia, especially residents who need some financial assistance.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs