1.17/5

Need a utility company?

Pennsylvania

Need a utility company?

83 PECO Energy Company Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 10, 2019

Out of the blue I'm in collections for owing PECO $525.00. I have no knowledge of this account and I have received no correspondence with any details as to how this amount came about or what this is regarding. Why do I have to dispute this charge and have my credit score go down? Why doesn't PECO have to prove I am responsible for this first? Bad business!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Apparently I missed my payment due to a move to another state, when I found out I immediately paid full amount over the phone. I was then sent a threat of turn off 2 weeks after paying if I didn’t pay their assess deposit of 385.00 because I was late, essentially they want 385.00 to hold for 12 months! My bill I was late for was under 200. They hold the money for a year as they stated to me as punishment! I am reporting to Public Utility Commission to report this horrendous practice.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I made an online payment. I checked by bank a few days later and saw they charged me twice. I spoke with customer service who told me that I cannot get the refund back because even though I made a payment, I still had a balance due so they charged me for it. I said, "You unlawfully charged by credit card a second time because there was still a balance due?" She said, "Yes, well, it was due anyway." Stopped payment with my bank, which will take up to 30 days.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

An account was added to my credit report August 2018. According to Peco Energy, I owe them over $3,500 from the year 2013. The thing is, I closed and settled my account before I moved to Arizona in 2012. The customer service agent couldn't provide any more information for me, just referred me to a collections agency.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Took ten days to turn on... Moved into apartment and literally paid rent for space I couldn't even occupy. Plenty of turn off notices. I was always just paying and paying and paying. Definite wiring issue in my home causing my bill to be $700 a month sometimes! Called PECO to come check it out, they came and did nothing. Switched my showerhead... OH THANKS PECO YOU SAVED MY LIFE. My electricity with PECO is literally a rent bill. Terminated my account and left my apartment. I hope I never have to deal with this business again. They're not trying to help people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PECO Energy Company?

Original review: July 24, 2018

I never received a shut off notice. Came home on July 23 to find my service shut off for $235.00 so I contact PECO because I had made a payment on the July 2 in the amount of $224.00. They stated that a new payment was due so after making a payment for $310.00 to get service restored I was told it would take anywhere from 4 to 72 hours for service to be back up and running. They had no care that I have a five-year-old in the home and this is a big home that runs hot on humid days, now I have to leave my front door open in a not so safe neighborhood and it’s already been 12 hours later. And not to mention I was told I have to make a payment of $174.23 by July 30th and my fridge is getting warm that’s going to be food wasted that I have to put more money out. PECO needs to get better with their service because they don’t have any problem ripping us off!

Original review: March 5, 2018

Practically PECO services the lines and it is their responsibility to make sure risk is minimized to the distribution network. They see it is as allowing vendors like Direct Energy take over billing for a small discount but that is as far as they go. No one inspects trees around power lines, no one sends the township public works dept any report so that they can base off action for asking owners to do better tree management. Now after the storm, in the first township North of Philly there are 1200 without power due to exemplary negligent tree management in which they claim they have no role. It is just ridiculous how they abandon responsibility and didn't step up on overtime and repair crews to remedy the after effect of the recent storm.

Original review: March 4, 2018

My wife and I have been not had power since Friday March 2nd. Just received notification that my power will be back Monday night March 5th at 11:59PM. That's 4 days without a place to go. This was the straw that broke my back. Not only have I had to pay ridiculous electric bills of $500 and $800 for January & February, I have to empty out my refrigerator of newly purchased groceries over $125 as soon as my home is warm enough to be inhabitable again. My electricity runs underground, how can this keep happening anytime the wind blows over 20mph. Can’t PECO “An Exelon Company” learn how to be preventative instead of reactive in this day in age- especially with all the historical data they have collected on hubs, transformers or switches.

This is a monumental joke to pay these prices and receive this service. I don't even see one truck out on my road Paxon Hallow - according to Pecos map where the issue lies yet power has resumed to residents living just across the street. I don't want to hear, "We're sorry for the inconvenience, safety is our top priority" or "We are working safely to assess the damage and restore service to our customers as quickly as possible," because there are no maintenance or utility trucks assessing anything and it's day 3 of the outage.

What other option do consumers have? 3rd party electricity companies that save you money, but have no maintenance or utility trucks. I don't understand why this seems to be a quarterly issue, with the same outcome every time. Can Peco stop being an apologetic Exelon company, and start being a company with energy solutions? Because as I shiver typing this complaint wearing 2 winter coats, and look out my window to see power across the street is a slap in the face with no solution in sight.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Every time I turn around my bill gets higher and higher... Don't get it and I'm changing. I get disability... How in the heck can I pay 600.00 in electric bills. And it's just me...something is not right. I don't know if someone is using my electric... I never see anyone coming out to check my wires or any like that. I'm definitely changing. This is ridiculous.

Original review: March 3, 2018

More than 36 hours after power loss we are still without power and as I drive all over the township I see no PECO trucks anywhere. Isn't anyone working? If I didn't pay my bill I know they'd shut it off on weekends and or a holiday.

PECO Energy Company expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PECO provides utility service for the Philadelphia-region and southeastern Pennsylvania. They have served Pennsylvania for over 130 years.

• Assistance programs: PECO has options for low income customers who struggle to pay their energy bills every month. Customers can apply for assistance, whether they have low income or are experiencing temporary financial hardship.

• Gift electricity: Friends, family members and neighbors can gift electricity to someone in need. Pay any amount you want towards a loved one’s energy bill.

• Outage alerts: Sign up to receive outage alerts on your mobile device, so you always know when power is down in your area. Check the status of your power outage from PECO’s website, which is available on mobile devices as well as desktops.

• Multi-family incentives: Receive a free energy assessment and installation of energy-saving devices and products when you own a property with four or more units. Multi-family property owners can also enjoy incentives when they install or upgrade their current appliances and equipment to high-efficiency, energy-saving equipment.

• Online energy audits: Perform an energy audit on your home or business from PECO’s website. This can help you understand how you currently use energy so you can alter your usage to save money and conserve energy.

• Best for: PECO Energy Company is best for businesses and residents in the greater Philadelphia, especially residents who need some financial assistance.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs