2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Reviews

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I am not a Wyndham Site owner and maybe one day I will, however I have children going to college. Neither here nor there. However the negative reviews I have read are all kind of unrealistic. If you got $150 gift cards from them then move on. I found the entire staff to be very professional as they are trying to sell you something, it is the very nature of the program to tell you something you may find useful. While I am fully capable of owner at this time I chose not to, but would strongly consider them having stayed in a few of their resorts.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

My wife and I bought in to Club Wyndham last week while on a Christmas trip in Branson with our family, and to be honest, we are very excited about it. The key is to ensure that you understand everything they say. Ask questions. Take notes. And if you feel like you don't understand what they're telling you, or if you can't envision yourself using the product for years to come, then walk away. Tips for your meeting:

1. This will be a high-pressure sales pitch. If you aren't 100% certain that you can make an informed decision while there, then don't go. It seems as if many people that gave negative reviews on here did so because they felt bamboozled; I argue that the fault is two-fold: 1) aggressive sales staff, 2) not understanding the product, which ultimately is the buyer's responsibility.

2. Ask questions. Lots of questions. Do not sign anything without being certain of everything that you sign. We interacted with four people, the last of which was the guy who went through the documents as we signed. I asked him questions that I already had gotten answers for as well as little things about the contract; he was visibly annoyed at one point. Ask about every check and tittle and iota.

3. This is a points-based timeshare, not the typical buy-in and get one or two weeks in one location at a specified time. Therefore, learn how it works. You have a short time frame in which to learn it, so take notes and ASK QUESTIONS. Some questions you should ask are: 1) Do the points renew? How often? 2) What are booking windows? How do the booking windows work? 3) What are the maintenance fees? Will these change? 4) Will there be a soft or a hard hit on my credit? If a hard hit, why is it a hard hit if we're only checking to see what my interest rate will be (hint, it has to do with a credit card)? 5) How does the reward system work, and what, if any, effect does that have on my purchased points? These aren't the only questions you should ask, so spend time thinking about the areas you don't understand.

4. The whole presentation begins with a meet-and-greet with your personal sales rep who is more of a tour guide than a sales rep (ours sat with us at the table and pointed out things that in a brochure that the presented was discussing). That sales rep takes you into a group presentation where an overly friendly and excited sales rep gives the big pitch. Make sure you take notes during this portion, because this is a very broad view of how the program works and should help you to generate some questions. Afterwards, we went on a tour of the local resort (which we happened to be staying at, so it wasn't the most beneficial use of our time).

The real pressure starts when you return to the office. Sales rep #1 starts with some small details and will try to guide you into a credit check. If you proceed with the credit check, you'll get a sales manager; this is where the real pressure starts. This is the best time to ask questions. Hound this person. Frustrate them with all the details you want or need to know. This is about you making a very big decision, and they want you to make that decision before you leave (if I'm not mistaken, they actually demand it). We were on the fence, so the "big boss" came over to help us make a decision.

5. If any of the staff belittle you or make you uncomfortable for any reason, that is a cue to ask for your money, tickets, etc., and walk out (we did not experience anything of this sort).

Make no mistake, this is a textbook, high-pressure sales situation. They have been well trained to ask questions that will take you down the purchase path. If you have ever studied any sales techniques, you'll be able to recognize many of them during your time there. You are absolutely being sold.

Now the reason I gave four stars. I don't consider myself a person who's willpower is abnormally "strong" and able to resist pressure. What I do is get informed. I asked questions, and those questions were answered. At no point did I feel as if I was being misled. I received direct answers to every inquiry. The staff was professional and kind; my kids even liked them.

I also have some experience with timeshares: my parents have been members of a different timeshare for nearly 30 years, and I have seen the ins and outs of how it works. There's is a very good one that I have considered buying into in the past. When we attended this presentation, what I saw was something similar in nature to my parent's timeshare with some added benefits, which is really what made me excited about the program and is the reason we bought in. Long story short, make an informed decision, not an impulse or emotional decision.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I have been a member of Wyndham Vacation Resorts Timeshares since 1999. I have 500,000 points. I use these points every year. I have been all over the country I do not have any regrets with this purchase. I ski 4 weekends a year and usually spend the rest for a beach vacation. I love the large units. I am unhappy with the upgrades though.

In the past I could get instant upgrades, it no longer works that way! I would book two units, cancel one 2 weeks before and upgrade my first reservation to the larger unit saving points. Now I rarely get the upgrade forcing me to use more points! I still get discount points for booking closer to the time I want to go. Timeshare is not for everyone. I have a flexible schedule, and I paid for my timeshare outright so I just have the maintenance fees. I enjoy the large units and I feel it's worth the monthly fee. I have not had an issue booking but I do book 10 months out for most of my trips. I do agree that the salespeople are pushy.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

There's a lot of negative reviews about this company. But since I became a silver owner with club Wyndham access in 2014, we have been on several vacations and had no problems booking anything except Ocean City, Maryland lol. I have 435,000 points and was able to book vacations (14 different ones and two more coming up) for family and friends. From 1 bedroom to presidential suites. Midtown Manhattan to the US Virgin Islands. Yes the sale representatives are pushy and annoying so I avoid their "breakfast or lunch" meetings. And YES it is expensive so I wouldn't necessarily suggest anyone to become a member unless they can afford it. But I think depending on your membership level you might have more difficulties with bookings. My level allows bookings 13 to 10 months prior so if your booking window is less, that's probably where the problem occurs.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Wow, there are a lot of negative reports here. I haven't really had any issues with Wyndham. It is more expensive than other time shares, but you're not committed to the same two weeks and a specific month each year. You do have to make your reservations several months ahead for the more popular vacation spots, but they tell you that going in. I've dealt with Justin ** in Williamsburg, VA as well as others there and they were all very nice and professional. And I get called once in a while from Alex in Las Vegas asking me if I have any questions or if there is anything they can do for me.

While a bit pricey - depending on how many points you buy - we've stayed in some pretty nice places. We stayed at Bonnet Creek (Disney World) and it was very clean and the property well kept. My daughter (who is actually my partner) stayed in a Presidential Suite with some of her girlfriends in Atlanta and were blown away by the room. This coming Fall we'll be staying at a property in Seviereville, TN and I've looked up that property and it looks awesome! I love the fact that it will pass down to my daughter when I'm gone; so many companies don't do that.

I don't really think it's more high pressure than any other company that wants to sell you something. There is a monthly maintenance fee (based on how many points you have) that's similar to an HOA fee when you buy a home. But that's to help with the upkeep of the properties so I get that. You actually get a deed when you buy into Wyndham. I can't speak to selling my points, because I don't plan to sell them, I plan on passing them down to my daughter. And once the points are paid off, really, all you have left is the Maintenance Fee. It's like buying a house or a car, but you can go all over the world!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wyndham Vacation Resorts?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

The Wyndham Timeshare is based upon fraud. After purchasing a timeshare from Wyndham in 2010 - everything we were told was a lie. We have spent over $35,000 to date and every time we attempt to use the timeshare the resorts are booked, there are additional fees and charges. Now Wyndham Timeshares are offering an exit strategy, which means you return your timeshare back to them at no cost and no reimbursement for the initial purchase price or fees for a program that I have not been able to utilize - I am told that it is best to make reservation 12-18 months out - really that is ridiculous for a program that sells itself on availability and flexibility. I will never stay at a Wyndham property or any of their subsidiaries. I urge everyone to file a complaint with their State's Attorney General and demand that the sale of timeshares be better regulated.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

My husband and I were in Vegas celebrating our anniversary when we were in our hotel and approached about getting some free tickets to a show, so we thought why not? So we are shuttled over to another hotel for some "free lunch" and a "2 hour presentation" about timeshares. Both my husband and I were already in agreement that we were not going to purchase anything from them, only to get our free tickets.

So, we are bussed into this room with the free lunch and coffee, we sat with this guy who came and sat at our table who was our sales representative. I had to laugh at how fake this set up all was, we all talk for about an hour, he's asking us questions, trying to get a feel for our travel habits, etc. Then, some other sales guy does a presentation for about 45 minutes, trying to do the typical sales scheme of making you have a need for traveling, the emotional attachment of spending time with family, how little time we have left with our kids, etc. After the presentation, we are taken to another room, where we are talking with our sales guy again, who does not mention any numbers to us, even though my husband and I were curious as to how much it does cost, he would not answer our questions.

We filled out some credit application and then were proceeded to be shown two different rooms in a property of theirs across the parking lot. We came back to the table where the rep has another guy come over to talk about the numbers to us, with the first one being with a $450/month payment, then a $350 a month payment, and finally, one around $230. Hubby and I were both like nope, we are good, we have our daughter in college, his medical bills from cancer, and my student loans. Then it gets ugly, the sales rep harasses my husband about a shirt that he purchased while we were on vacation, proceeds to ask us what bills weren't getting paid so that we could take our trip (my mom paid for our trip, so we didn't skip any bills), and proceeds other demeaning comments towards us because we weren't buying anything.

We tell the rep that we were ready to go, he gets up, makes us wait, and then a final sales person comes over and offers us a "trial program", to which we said no, we just wanted our gifts and to leave. The whole thing took four hours, not two, and the level of unprofessionalism that our sales rep demonstrated towards my husband and myself definitely made me never want to buy a timeshare from them.

When talking to someone who used to work for Wyndham Timeshares after this experience, she stated that they are trained to be your best friend, entice you to buy, and when you say no, they are to be mean and coerce you into buying their timeshares. The numbers are all a gimmick as well, they start with the higher payments and work their way down because if you see the cheaper payment at the end, you may be more enticed to buy it. They will scoff at you for whatever reasons that you have to why you can't buy, and will make you feel like crap when you say no. Save yourself the time and sanity and don't go to any of these meetings because they are a ripoff. These sales people are rude, pushy, and a waste of anyone's time.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Went to a travel show and signed up to go to a presentation for $150 AMEX gift card. Very high pressure arm twisting but when came time to collect gift and exit, they tried to give me a $25 giftcard. I said wrong amount and they gave me a $50. Short answer is after a short bit of arguing (because I am not the type) they claimed $50 was the amount and even though it clearly said $150 on my paperwork (which of course they then kept) and the recruiter at the travel show repeatedly told me $150, that it must have been a typo and they have never seen a $150 amount as a gift (lie, see other reviews here).

I believe I would have been more upset if I continued to argue and press it so it wasn't worth it to me which is what they count on (hence, scammers). All I can say is if you do this, be prepared to argue for your giftcard and have an overall very unpleasant experience as soon as you say "no" to buying in. I wish I didn't go. It really downed my mood for the rest of the weekend.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

They will lie about the amount of time and not give you your gift. In addition the hotels they represent are dives. The sales team will hold your gift and not give it to you and refuse to provide travel unless you agree to buy. WE walked out and had to get our own transportation. SAVE YOUR TIME!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

We purchased a Wyndham timeshare while on vacation in Myrtle Beach. We were traveling there with family to celebrate my final round (24th) round of chemotherapy. Long story short, they manipulated us by using my cancer to sell us a timeshare! Not only that, but they made promises that were never kept! Bait and switch! These are terrible human beings! Please do not buy into their lies! Zero stars if I could!

Not sure about Wyndham Vacation Resorts?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Timeshares for you.

Wyndham Vacation Resorts expert review by Lisa Ann Schreier

Wyndham Vacation Resorts is one of the world's most popular timeshare companies. The company is a member of the Wyndham Worldwide family of companies, and currently works with more than 900,000 owners.

• Available Properties: Wyndham Vacation Resorts has a huge selection of vacation ownership units and resorts for potential buyers to choose from. The company also has more than 13,800 units and 80 resorts available to customers.

• Worldwide: Customers who choose Wyndham Vacation Resorts have the ability to choose from hotels and properties across the world, from North America to the South Pacific.

• Video Experience: The company has created several videos to help potential owners envision what the buying and owning experience will be like, helping make their decision easier and clearer.

• Curated Excursions: The company can help customers plan specific or special getaways when they use their timeshare, including adventure excursions or entertainment events in big cities like New York.

• Dedicated travel agents: The company can has dedicated travel agents that will discuss vacation schedules with timeshare guests, then help them plan their vacations and transportation by scheduling excursions, booking transportation to and from the airport, and arranging tickets to entertainment events.

• Best for: Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property, travelers with a favorite vacation destination and young professionals with some disposable income.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Company Information