2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Reviews

Original review: May 13, 2020

I am a happy owner for more than 10 years. I also own a number of other timeshares. I love every thing about Wyndham, except their sales personnel, the worst in the business. They start with #1 a gentleman or lady, Then comes #2 high pressure and usually unpleasant. Finally #3 tries lower the anger and tells you last time you upgraded, the info was wrong. It's the same every time. CEOs change but the sales pitch does not.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I am not a Wyndham Site owner and maybe one day I will, however I have children going to college. Neither here nor there. However the negative reviews I have read are all kind of unrealistic. If you got $150 gift cards from them then move on. I found the entire staff to be very professional as they are trying to sell you something, it is the very nature of the program to tell you something you may find useful. While I am fully capable of owner at this time I chose not to, but would strongly consider them having stayed in a few of their resorts.

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

My wife and I bought in to Club Wyndham last week while on a Christmas trip in Branson with our family, and to be honest, we are very excited about it. The key is to ensure that you understand everything they say. Ask questions. Take notes. And if you feel like you don't understand what they're telling you, or if you can't envision yourself using the product for years to come, then walk away. Tips for your meeting:

1. This will be a high-pressure sales pitch. If you aren't 100% certain that you can make an informed decision while there, then don't go. It seems as if many people that gave negative reviews on here did so because they felt bamboozled; I argue that the fault is two-fold: 1) aggressive sales staff, 2) not understanding the product, which ultimately is the buyer's responsibility.

2. Ask questions. Lots of questions. Do not sign anything without being certain of everything that you sign. We interacted with four people, the last of which was the guy who went through the documents as we signed. I asked him questions that I already had gotten answers for as well as little things about the contract; he was visibly annoyed at one point. Ask about every check and tittle and iota.

3. This is a points-based timeshare, not the typical buy-in and get one or two weeks in one location at a specified time. Therefore, learn how it works. You have a short time frame in which to learn it, so take notes and ASK QUESTIONS. Some questions you should ask are: 1) Do the points renew? How often? 2) What are booking windows? How do the booking windows work? 3) What are the maintenance fees? Will these change? 4) Will there be a soft or a hard hit on my credit? If a hard hit, why is it a hard hit if we're only checking to see what my interest rate will be (hint, it has to do with a credit card)? 5) How does the reward system work, and what, if any, effect does that have on my purchased points? These aren't the only questions you should ask, so spend time thinking about the areas you don't understand.

4. The whole presentation begins with a meet-and-greet with your personal sales rep who is more of a tour guide than a sales rep (ours sat with us at the table and pointed out things that in a brochure that the presented was discussing). That sales rep takes you into a group presentation where an overly friendly and excited sales rep gives the big pitch. Make sure you take notes during this portion, because this is a very broad view of how the program works and should help you to generate some questions. Afterwards, we went on a tour of the local resort (which we happened to be staying at, so it wasn't the most beneficial use of our time).

The real pressure starts when you return to the office. Sales rep #1 starts with some small details and will try to guide you into a credit check. If you proceed with the credit check, you'll get a sales manager; this is where the real pressure starts. This is the best time to ask questions. Hound this person. Frustrate them with all the details you want or need to know. This is about you making a very big decision, and they want you to make that decision before you leave (if I'm not mistaken, they actually demand it). We were on the fence, so the "big boss" came over to help us make a decision.

5. If any of the staff belittle you or make you uncomfortable for any reason, that is a cue to ask for your money, tickets, etc., and walk out (we did not experience anything of this sort).

Make no mistake, this is a textbook, high-pressure sales situation. They have been well trained to ask questions that will take you down the purchase path. If you have ever studied any sales techniques, you'll be able to recognize many of them during your time there. You are absolutely being sold.

Now the reason I gave four stars. I don't consider myself a person who's willpower is abnormally "strong" and able to resist pressure. What I do is get informed. I asked questions, and those questions were answered. At no point did I feel as if I was being misled. I received direct answers to every inquiry. The staff was professional and kind; my kids even liked them.

I also have some experience with timeshares: my parents have been members of a different timeshare for nearly 30 years, and I have seen the ins and outs of how it works. There's is a very good one that I have considered buying into in the past. When we attended this presentation, what I saw was something similar in nature to my parent's timeshare with some added benefits, which is really what made me excited about the program and is the reason we bought in. Long story short, make an informed decision, not an impulse or emotional decision.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I have been a member of Wyndham Vacation Resorts Timeshares since 1999. I have 500,000 points. I use these points every year. I have been all over the country I do not have any regrets with this purchase. I ski 4 weekends a year and usually spend the rest for a beach vacation. I love the large units. I am unhappy with the upgrades though.

In the past I could get instant upgrades, it no longer works that way! I would book two units, cancel one 2 weeks before and upgrade my first reservation to the larger unit saving points. Now I rarely get the upgrade forcing me to use more points! I still get discount points for booking closer to the time I want to go. Timeshare is not for everyone. I have a flexible schedule, and I paid for my timeshare outright so I just have the maintenance fees. I enjoy the large units and I feel it's worth the monthly fee. I have not had an issue booking but I do book 10 months out for most of my trips. I do agree that the salespeople are pushy.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

There's a lot of negative reviews about this company. But since I became a silver owner with club Wyndham access in 2014, we have been on several vacations and had no problems booking anything except Ocean City, Maryland lol. I have 435,000 points and was able to book vacations (14 different ones and two more coming up) for family and friends. From 1 bedroom to presidential suites. Midtown Manhattan to the US Virgin Islands. Yes the sale representatives are pushy and annoying so I avoid their "breakfast or lunch" meetings. And YES it is expensive so I wouldn't necessarily suggest anyone to become a member unless they can afford it. But I think depending on your membership level you might have more difficulties with bookings. My level allows bookings 13 to 10 months prior so if your booking window is less, that's probably where the problem occurs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wyndham Vacation Resorts?

Original review: July 1, 2020

Nobody explained to us about the perpetuity clause that is in our contract, and that is a giant thing to leave out. The pressure we experienced at the sales presentations was tremendous, and at times ruined our trips. The rooms we stayed in always had issues with the appliances like the dishwasher not working. To be completely honest with you, I can't tell you a single good thing about being an owner. Wyndham is a horrible company, and I will fight for a cancellation.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I was sold on the idea that this was an investment, and it would be building equity. I have asked to see the equity and they refuse to show me, in fact they usually stop responding all together. Wyndham as a company is entirely unprofessional and commits fraud on every occasion. I have been called so many times, or talked to someone in person about upgrading. Every time I speak with them, they state that the last salesman messed up my account. That is just an example of how they manipulate people into purchasing a timeshare, or upgrading.

Original review: June 28, 2020

I made my reservation in 11/2019 for 7/13/202 for Daytona Beach and I received a phone call on June 26th that my reservation had been cancelled. Sorry, they overbooked. Want to reschedule? Not a chance.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Wyndham did not allow us to read the contract and lied to us. Our salesperson applied extreme pressure and did not allow us to read the contract. They claimed it was uploaded to the "free" Kindle we received and could review within 5 days of date we signed contract but when I tried to retrieve the contract on Kindle it was not there and therefore too late to cancel within the allowable timeframe of cancellation. I feel like this was done on purpose and want my contract cancelled.

The Wyndham owner services team rewatched the video and although they said they stated we could leave, they were pressuring us to sign before we left as my husband became extremely ill while we were there. The team agreed that he was ill and even vomited while we were there but never let up on the pressure to sign the contract. I feel that when I explained this, I was told we could have left but with the stress and concern for my husband and the stress and pressure I was feeling from the "team" I felt like I had no other choice but to sign the contract to get out of there.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Checked in to Wyndham's Atlantic City (Wyndham Skyline Tower) property and was scheduled a tour for which we were to receive a $50, and our parking fees reimbursed. It turned out to be a sales presentation to buy more points to our membership and not a tour. We were told that we were offered an upgrade to our Wyndham Rewards credit card (we were already a Platinum cardholders), instead my wife and I got the lower no fee credit card with a lower reward rate. That's not the only lie, they pulled a hard credit report to open a line of credit which we didn't need because we were not going to purchase any additional points. So overall that one sit down (tour) we both got two hard credit checks against our credit reports.

Wyndham Vacation Resorts author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

Wyndham Vacation Resorts is one of the world's most popular timeshare companies. The company is a member of the Wyndham Worldwide family of companies, and currently works with more than 900,000 owners.

• Available Properties: Wyndham Vacation Resorts has a huge selection of vacation ownership units and resorts for potential buyers to choose from. The company also has more than 13,800 units and 80 resorts available to customers.

• Worldwide: Customers who choose Wyndham Vacation Resorts have the ability to choose from hotels and properties across the world, from North America to the South Pacific.

• Video Experience: The company has created several videos to help potential owners envision what the buying and owning experience will be like, helping make their decision easier and clearer.

• Curated Excursions: The company can help customers plan specific or special getaways when they use their timeshare, including adventure excursions or entertainment events in big cities like New York.

• Dedicated travel agents: The company can has dedicated travel agents that will discuss vacation schedules with timeshare guests, then help them plan their vacations and transportation by scheduling excursions, booking transportation to and from the airport, and arranging tickets to entertainment events.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Company Information