1.80/5
Based on 33 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover a great timeshare now

Last updated: April 15, 2018

139 Vida Vacations Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 15, 2018

Told us we could get A when in fact you get B. maybe not even that much. $299 >>> $999.00 for elite Hotels for Diamond weeks. Ritz Carlton, Marriott, etc. Not happening. Told we could book our free week 1 yr. in advance, or change to the week that suits us, NO PROBLEM. YES PROBLEM. Vida dollars are basically worthless. If you don't use your free week within a yr, it's FINITO. We weren't told that one either. You can only book 150 days before travel. Aug. for Jan 2019. Good luck with that. Studios or 1 bedrooms are GONE. Long story short. Stay clear of these people.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My sister and I went on what we were told was a property tour for first time guests to better navigate the property on 04/07 @ Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta. After the tour they brought us back to this area. Brought us beer and told us to relax. After several hours passed, we asked to return to our vacation. Then individual after individual pounded us to purchase this membership.

Finally agreed to purchase, but asked that I wanted to review w/ my husband who wasn’t with on vacation. Said I could cancel if I came back before returning to US. I reviewed contract and reviews online & didn’t want to keep membership. Went back on 04/10. Was told I couldn’t cancel, refused refund. I mentioned Article 56 of Consumer protection law. Told me that applied only in US and too bad for me I was in Mexico, I originally paid $4500 & after over an hr of arguing they said they COULDN'T refund full amount, but modify my membership down to $1999.00. I was kept in a dark room and after starting to fear for my safety I agreed to sign new contract.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 8, 2018

I was distracted at the airport by what I thought were Mexican greeters. They were just marketing agents for a company with zero ethics. I missed my bus as I listened to them talk of a new construction and an opportunity to meet Mexican locals and a traditional breakfast hosted by major credit cards. The ADO told me I had missed my trip to Valladolid and found myself almost in tears. That should have been the first sign. They then did take me to a breakfast and held me and my daughter hostage for over 8 hours.

It was wait on this person, switch to this person and then finally they have you held captive for so long that you will sign your life away for freedom. I got to the hotel and attempted to call the marketing reps Mario and he told me I would not be able to go in person to cancel a membership or any other funds. Please be aware and don't even listen to these predators. They specifically target women, single women and outline this in the class pitch. It's bizarre.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I first encountered Vidante in Cabo on my 50th birthday. We were going to stay at a different resort. As we were renting a car in Cabo, did not know that Vidante was attached to rental car company, we were told to watch a presentation and get our car and insurance for free. We went to the presentation. What a disaster. First of all they were great, good to talk to, and the product looked good and the price of 16000 was okay. We bought in. And then we had buyers remorse. And we found out that if we used a certain company Profeco, they had to return our money. So we went back and asked for our money. They immediately brought the price down from 16000 to 8000. And when we said no they pulled out the top guns.

He found out I was a member of AA and used that to close the deal. He was so good I walked out of there thinking I had just got away with only paying 3800.00 for a developer deal. This meant I could use the Mayan Palace for one week complimentary and 5 weeks at 800.00 per week. What a scam! I used the week in Riviera Maya. The sales staff there told me they were no longer using high pressure tactics and no longer using the same developer weeks that they were. That was all a lie. I talked to several people that got the same developer week they just talked about discontinuing.

You are profiled. They know all about you before you get there. They target you and your income. They are experts at scamming people. Do not kid yourself as I did thinking I was getting off lucky not having to pay huge amounts of money. ANY money they get is way too much. And they do it in the most polite way. I have other time shares, I will simply use them. My hope is that this review helps another person not buy into Vidante, they are most gracious crooks you will ever meet, but do not be fooled, it is all a sham.

Original review: March 13, 2018

My wife and I travel a lot, and we joined Vidanta / Vida Vacations quite a while back. The service is 5 star and the food and resort are the best. We have stayed at several other resorts and nothing compares to Vida Vacations. If you are looking for top notch locations, visit a Vidanta location in Mexico and you will not be disappointed. We are super happy with our membership and plan to pass down to our children.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vida Vacations?

Original review: March 7, 2018

I was vacationing in Riviera Maya at the Mayan Palace in the Vidanta Resort. We were asked to attend the "one hour" presentation after receiving a free breakfast. We were attracted to the amenities and the quality of the resort and all the staff, so this presentation was of interest. The problem is they took 5 1/2 hours of our day since they "wear you down" with their constant smooth-talking, fast paced sales pitch. After cooler heads prevailed, we decided that, although it was a tempting offer to get out of our current timeshare, it just didn't fit our budget and it also was promising more weeks vacation than we could use at this stage of our lives. The next day we made an appointment to cancel the agreement and it took another 4 hours of sales-pitch for us to actually get the credit on our charge cards.

The price dropped in half from their "Premium - all inclusive program" plus the amount they were crediting for our current timeshare. By the time we finally received the receipt for a refund, that price dropped another 4 times. My suggestion to the Vidanta Corporation is this... Give the talk, show the value and 5-star quality amenities...then let your "guests" go after the one hour you promised it would take out of their vacation, and give the very lowest price (what the obvious value is otherwise we would have never been offered that price)...tell people that there is NO NEGOTIATION, let them think about it and sign them when they feel it works for them.

I would have far more respect for the company if they did it that way. After showing the cost of $168,000 and ending up under $15,000 - it looks very SHADY. Stop the high pressure sleazy sales tactics and SELL the benefits your amazing resorts and what owner membership in your properties avails people. Don't get caught up in the nightmare program that the timeshare corporations have created. You say you are different than a timeshare - so sell it that way. The low customer service rating is based on the "membership sales pitch" and not the review of service we received at the resort. The resort is amazing, a place we would love to return to. Don't attend the sales program whether they give you breakfast or cash until they change their sales strategy to where customers in this new millennium are treated honestly and professionally, and that their vacation time is precious.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

[This is my story of how I got involved in the Vidanta 90 min presentation]. It really all starts at the airport (Cancun). When you are walking out to ground transportation, people will offer you maps and free tourist information. Don't even look at these people, they suck you in. I know the signs say tourist information. They aren't there to help, they are there to make money. So get out of the airport! Informed travelers don't go on vacation before finding out what they want to see or do, anyway. So don't bother with these people.

Next, the car rental for those of you thrill seekers wanting to drive around. Yes, it's nice to have the convenience of having a car but it comes with some painful side effects. First, they want you to get the full insurance. The rental of a compact may be $35 USD or less per week, but the full coverage insurance will be that, at least, daily. If you have a credit card that you trust, see if it has coverage for CDW or coverage for the car, then you may only need liability insurance which is still about 20$/day. That is the minimum coverage you must carry. And forbid you get stopped by the local police. 90% of the time you will pay something. Just depends how good of a negotiator you are. Police in Mexico seldom and I mean very seldom let you off on a warning. And almost always you will pay a bribe.

So, now back to the sharks, when you go out to the pick up area with contract in hand, there will be a very nice person, not employee of the rental agency though, guiding you with a map of the city and directions to getting on the road. It seems like they work for the agency as customer care, but no. I don't know how these people are allowed by the agencies to prey on people. This person is so nice, harmless right, wrong! This person will then ask about your activities and then she or he will offer free tickets or reduced tickets to some theme park.

So then you ask, "How do I get these great tickets?" and the answer they will give you is that you only need to go to a 90 minute presentation with breakfast included. Wow, that seems unreal! Then you say, "but I'm not going to buy anything." And she will reply, "no worries, you don't buy anything, just listen and enjoy the breakfast." Your senses by now have kicked in that this doesn't sound right. Listen to them! So you have now spent 45 minutes with this individual who is now your second best friend, and you are inked for the presentation in the morning. Oh boy!

Now, to the presentation. You drive to Vidanta and you are mesmerized by the huge concrete entrance walls. The place is nice! The guards let you in and as you're driving through the road that is landscaped with lush vegetation, you see the golf course on the right. Yeah, you see yourself hitting that 9 iron to the back of the green. Then you park. Nice place! You get checked in. Man these people are nice! They drive you to the restaurant and deal making warehouse or ballroom, and it all really begins now. You are presented to a salesperson who is going to take you to eat. The buffet is good. The salesperson is asking a ton of questions. A ton! They want to gently find out all about you and your travel habits. So breakfast is not with your partner, you get to eat with the agent. Actually the agent is pretty nice. He walks you through the property and tells you about the options, and the place is Nice!

Oh forgot, right before the agent takes you to eat, he brings a big boss over to look you over, literally he stares you down and asks, "If we offer you an option you like, are you open to purchasing a product from us?" Yes, I guess. What else could you say, I drove 45 minutes to get here just for breakfast and a pair of free tickets to snorkel. So back to the walkthrough of the place. You see and you hear, but now it's time to put the numbers down. If you have been to timeshare presentations, you know they never give you the best deal until the end. So by now we have met three sellers. And the offer from Vidanta is that you only pay for the week you use. So you can get 1 week for 50 years or 2 weeks for 25 years. No maintenance fees.

I don't remember the purchase price to be a member. Regardless, we weren't making a decision right there. But, "Why" the salesman says, "What's keeping you from this opportunity." Slash. Price goes down. "Mm, no we want to talk this over." "Why? What's there to think about this. Is it the money?" "Well no, we like the easiness of making vacations on the fly, we jump on package deals," I explain. Well, guess what, they have a travel agency that you will save tons of money from. Air, cars, limos, private jets, you name it. "And We will give you this free." Hmmm.

So I know the offers are unique but the point is that their style and approach are the same with everyone, from the reviews I have read. The more I said no, the lower the price went and a few perks were added. Then a fourth agent came in to give it a go. They kept referring to my current vacation cost and what I had spent to try and entice me that this was so much better than how I was currently vacationing. No, no, no. We cannot make a decision in one day. Also, it said 90 minutes and we are now at 3 hours. "The time starts after breakfast, so we have not met the 90 minutes," the fourth agent says. "Also, on two occasions your wife was on the phone so we will have to make up for that."

So he gets up and goes to have a chit chat with the gang. He comes in one more time full throttle this time, and finally my uppercut is, "No, we will not buy." He gets up, and leaves. No goodbye, no thank you for your time, no more Mr. Nice Guy. These people are no longer nice! So now to the gifts right...wrong. Four agents down one to go. At the gifts room they have one more chance up their sleeve, a hail mary. This guy is the good guy. He wants to know how his buddies did. And he says he just wants you to take back a good word to your friends and family. And you feel comfortable with him.

And all of a sudden the survey is now, "You know what, we have one very special deal for you." And guess what, he is going to write his phone number and we can call him if we are interested. $5600 for 100 weeks at exclusive resorts and all you pay is $199 per week stay. Worldwide! No blackouts! Hmm that is good. But we're tired and were sticking to our guns, no purchases when I cannot think straight. Okay, but how bout 200 weeks for $3600. What??? How can anyone say no? Well, I did. Finally, we could go. Just another 30 minutes hopping from room to room to get the tickets. Not anything worth my time and vacation time lost.

So the point to all of this rambling. You can have a nice vacation in Cancun, just avoid all timeshare presentations or the like. Unless you're willing to go through all of the agony, stress and bullying. Some people can handle it and that's ok. Also, the place is nice, no arguments there. But don't look at this if you're a deal hunter. This is not a deal as mentioned before. It's a vacation package that is not cheap. You are going to pay. How much depends on many factors. And as I read many of these posts, you realize there are many hidden stipulations that no one knows until they come across them by accident or necessities. I can imagine their contracts go on and on and I assume they are made that way so that the common person cannot make it out. This is not a little place, it's huge and the cost to maintain is huge money. The last agent said it was a million dollars a day. I can believe that.

So, it's too bad that this is such a bad business, in general. Compare it to buying a different product, say a mattress. You look for certain qualities and the needs are not the same for everyone. But you know what you're paying for as the price changes depending on brand, material, and options. But it's right there, and I don't understand why with this business they keep it all hidden. And even when they explain everything, it comes up differently in the contract. It just seems like the consumers of these places really have to do a lot of work just to break even. And that just doesn't seem fair.

I feel sorry for all of the people that purchased and got lied to. Hey, I was there, they wear you out. The place is nice. There are just too many negative vibes and feelings. No one should feel like that when you think of a vacation. Based on what I have read, I am not sure you really get what you paid for with Vidanta. But I'm staying away because their tactics suck. I didn't buy so I won't know if they are liars as well, but that wouldn't surprise me. I felt so worn out, worse than buying a new car. That's not how I want to purchase a vacation. I will keep doing it my way.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Thanks for excellent services at your beautiful resort! I'm actually going to write a detailed compliment to Our Presentation Specialist Aristides and Our Concierge Manager! Lovely Experience at Vidanta!!! Just Lovely!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Vida wants to have you to buy into the "elite" points system. With these points you supposedly can use them to book travel through them. The problem is that their travel agency sucks. They routinely drop the ball and don't get back with you as they promise. Also, a good number of their agents have such heavy accents that you cannot understand them, and conversely they cannot understand you. Until they decide to improve these problems I cannot recommend using the Vida Travel agency.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Was humiliated and talked down to by Claudia who stated she was a corporate lawyer with Vida. We are Luxxe Loft owners wanting an update in San Jose del Cabo. As we stayed in an outside resort she accused us of looking for benefits. We were pursued by a Vida rep trying to sell us excursions. Although management tried to correct the wrong by providing us a free breakfast we left humiliated and furious to our treatment.

Resolution response: Dec. 6, 2017

I spoke to an account representative today, and we were able to resolve the whole matter. Given that my in-laws had gotten nowhere and were getting more anxious and upset by the day, I stepped in to help more directly with a power of attorney. I called, and the account representative - Frank Luark - called me right back. We had a very productive conversation where we were able to sift out the facts, figure out what happened, and then move forward. To his credit, Mr. Luark was not defensive or hostile during our conversation, but remained calm and reasonable throughout. We were able to address each of the issues, one by one.

Look, I can't speak to my in-laws' personal experience of the sales presentation, which I imagine felt high-pressure, intense and long (I've not been to these presentations, but I have been to other timeshare ones in the past) - but, I can honestly say that I was quite surprised (and relieved) that Frank was being reasonable and amenable to their concerns. While we did not cancel the new contract, we were able to get everything my in-laws need to feel comfortable - and moreover, HAPPY - with this new contract, and to get them to a place where they didn't feel swindled or tricked. I think my own complete 180 - which I was NOT expecting - is testament that light can shine through in dark places, and that was my personal experience with Frank.

While I have never been to the property, my in-laws have enjoyed it and brought their friends for over 10 years with rave reviews. But for this one sales presentation experience, they have been satisfied members. We are all glad that it looks like this relationship can continue with good faith and good feelings.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

My elderly in-laws have been members of Grand Maya resorts for around 8-9 years. They've been reasonably happy with their membership and the facilities are beautiful, but these "upgrade" presentations are totally unconscionable. On their most recent trip, they were offered an "upgrade" to fractional ownership from timeshare ownership, with the lure of significantly reducing impending renovation fees and upgrading to a Grand Luxxe Loft. They were not interested in the Loft because it has less square footage than their existing arrangement, and do not enjoy "loft" style (no closed walls) units. Gerardo, their salesperson, however, insisted that their upcoming renovation fees were going to be significant.

They couldn't remember how much they had been paying, but Gerardo got some "papers" about their account and showed them the numbers. Using these "papers" with different numbers, he convinced them that their renovation costs were going to be $37,000 in the next few years. They were extremely alarmed to hear that, but he showed them their "account papers," so they assumed he was telling the truth. As a result, they upgraded to the Loft.

When they got back to the United States, my in-laws checked their existing contract and found that their renovation fees were very small, and would not amount to anything near $37,000 in their current contract. In addition, when they looked more closely at the "papers" Gerardo had given them - it had SOMEONE ELSE'S NAME on it! Gerardo printed out someone else's numbers and used that to deceive my in-laws. This is a SERIOUS PROBLEM - first, they used erroneous information to intentionally pressure my in-laws into an upgrade, and second, they gave away someone else's PRIVATE information.

We have sent emails, letters, and phone calls asking for the original agreement to be restored, the equity trade-in agreement to be canceled, and the down-payment to be refunded. So far, the customer service representative assigned to the case has only offered "extra amenities or benefits." Vida Vacations acts in BAD FAITH, using sales tactics that are unconscionable, particularly on the elderly. STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

We have been "members" for a couple years and absolutely love the resort in Nuevo Vallarta, but the sales presentations are definitely nightmares. First, if you are a returning "owner", ask for cash to go to the "owner presentation". They will routinely pay you $300-$400 cash upfront to sit through the sales pitch. Don't do it for breakfast or any other offer - your time is more valuable.

Secondly, obviously don't fall for their first, second, third or even fourth offer. It's painful but if you think of it as a game, they will drop their fees down to almost nothing. Our "final offer" was less than 1/10th of their starting price. My main complaint is that they don't have a fast-path option. Just show us the condo and give us the final price and we'll say yes or no. The whole thing could take 5 minutes and be a lot less painful for everyone.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Last January we were convinced to attend a sales presentation for a timeshare at Vidanta Grand Mayan resort. Vidanta has 6 locations in Mexico and we like Mexico. It's close enough to California to vacation a couple weeks a year. Needless to say the presentation was relentless, as expected and after 6 hours of a salesperson, her manager, her manager's manager, etc. Adding options, switching options we finally felt good about the condo unit layout that we purchased and the price. We immediately scheduled our required next visit to the Grand Mayan in Cabo for June, so we could get our "Vidanta $6,000.00". Without warning we arrived on June 25th while the hotel was under complete reconstruction! Imagine sitting at the pool and a tractor drives by moving dirt, it's true. But no hard feelings, we ate out in town and refused the "required presentation update", we were just staying 5 days, didn't want to waste it on another presentation.

Book our next vacation in Puerto Penasco at the Mayan Palace and arrive November 4th. Nice place. Beautiful beach. Just 7 hour drive from home. At registration they asked us to attend a sales presentation to "review your contract". Actually not a bad idea, since after 6 hrs on the initial sale, I did not have a clear understanding of what I purchased and she said just "30 min" with breakfast.

Then I got the key to my room, trying to unlock the door to my surprise it was not vacant. The lady who was staying there said she was not leaving till tomorrow so I headed back to reception. They gave me another key. I opened the door and was floored - like Motel 6 if you know what I mean. Two small beds, no jacuzzi tub, no sitting area. Back to reception I went with the picture of the room I purchased in Cabo in January. The receptionist said the "motel 6" room was the room I purchased in the Mayan Palace, there was no room that matched what I purchased in this hotel.

BUT... For an upgrade price of $60/per day they could move me to a Master Suite. Of course I paid, who would spend a week in that tiny little room? Not happy with this experience. I went back to my original room to see what they were going to give me had it not been occupied. Guess what? Yes, it was a Master Suite. In other words I had to pay extra for the room I would have had, if it had not been occupied. On Tuesday at the "review my contract presentation" I told the sales rep what happened and he admitted that they normally upgrade you on your first visit to Puerto Penasco so you can see what you did NOT pay for and then ask you to upgrade your timeshare in order to get what you thought you were getting originally.

Is this "bait and switch"? What we found out during this 3 hour contract review is that we can only have the room we purchased in Cabo, any other resort we are downgraded. But this was our opportunity to pay another $9000.00 to get what we wanted. I am not sure if this is legal or not. They threatened that if we did not upgrade right now we would not have the chance to upgrade in the future. I took copies of every document on the table with all their promises and threats; when you pass away your estate is liable for $6500.00 transfer fee so you better upgrade which will eliminate this cost to your family.

Your Vidanta dollars expire and you can only spend them on "stuff in the catalog". Originally we had been told we could use those dollars toward airfare and hotels. They tried to get us to sign a resignation letter stating we understand "this promotion will no longer be available, that I am losing $11,900 in equity, they will not eliminate the maintenance fees times 10 as a transfer fee and that we will be responsible for all contractual fees and future modifications to contract". What does all that even mean? I got up and walked out. Warning; Take copies of everything they write down. You might need to show it to a lawyer. I am so confused by this transaction. I have asked for a lawyer to contact me.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Okay, so here we go The good, the bad, and the ugly. First, the good. This was my second visit to this resort, located in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. I visited two years ago using a trade through Interval International. This year, my home resort in St. John USVI was decimated by hurricane Irma, and I was forced to make a trade at the last minute in order to use my 2017 usage. Surprisingly, the Mayan Palace and the Grand Luxxe were available again. Since I had such a fantastic experience there last time at The Mayan Palace, I decided to go for The Grand Luxxe since it was available.

Please understand all of our ownerships: Westin St. John USVI, K'anapali beach Maui, Tahiti Village Las Vegas are all top rack resorts, so making a good trade is never a problem for us. Having said that, this resort is hands-down, bar none the most opulent, luxurious, cleanest, nicest resort I have ever been in in my life. The staff are consistently friendly, efficient, and absolutely bend over backwards to give you an over-the-top experience. I simply cannot say enough good things about this resort and the people who operate it.

As for the bad and the ugly. There honestly is nothing I can classify in the "ugly" category. Having said that, this is a vacation ownership a.k.a. timeshare opportunity, so what do you really expect? Are they high-pressure? In a word, yes. Probably some of the highest pressure I've ever seen in the timeshare business. They are not rude at all. I was here two years ago, and actually went to two separate presentations at two separate resorts, one of them being Vidanta.

No one was ever rude, although the pressure is definitely there, and you're kidding yourself if you think you're really going to get out of one of these in anything close to one hour. They play a lot of numbers games, and if you've never been through a timeshare presentation, I could see why that would put you off a little bit. But clearly all of these one star reviews here are from people who have already owned other timeshares, so the only thing I can think is that they have a serious case of buyer's remorse.

The bottom line is You don't buy one of these things because it's a great value. There are opportunities to buy timeshares on the secondary market if you want to get into a cheap vacation. However, again this is the nicest resort I've ever stayed in in my life. The sales presentation is one unfortunate reality of dealing with timeshare and timeshare-like vacation deals. If you haven't figured it out yet, the best way to tell when a timeshare representative is lying is when their lips are moving. Yes, like another reviewer we got tons of "Vida dollars". But if you really think they are going to buy your old timeshare ownerships from you at retail value, and then give you thousands of dollars worth of "Vida dollars" and those Vida dollars are worth anything close to dollar for dollar for actual cash, you are as stupid as the salespeople think you are.

In the end, you are purchasing a vacation. It is a vacation with a few perks that you may or may not use. I honestly have to say though that Vidanta runs an absolutely amazing resort that by far surpasses the quality of anything else that I've ever owned or used, and I have been to some very nice places. They will continue to grow as they expand, which makes them highly motivated to keep the resort in good shape and keep current owners coming back (because if you don't, you don't have to pay your "usage fee" and it is that usage fee that keeps their operating budget alive.) In summary, I think that all of the one star reviews here are a bunch of crap. They don't really reflect the quality of the resort, and most of them clearly reflect the buyers' dissatisfaction with the timeshare business deal with it. You excepted a bribe for as much as $400 to go sit through a sales presentation, so what did you really expect?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I made reservations to go to Nuevo Vallarta in March of 2018. The agent tried to talk me into buying medical insurance for $198. I declined the offer, and when he insisted, I told him to send me an email with the information. I also told him that I did not need it because we are traveling with two physicians who could provide medical care to us if needed. I discovered that he went ahead and enrolled us, and charged us. I called VIDA Vacations about the charge and they said I authorized it, and would not refund me the $$. Just another scam way that they can make more money.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

After more than 8 hours at my 1 hour presentation at Vida Vacations and saying "no" about 30 times, they presented me with one more opportunity. It's name is Private Reserve Vacation Collection. Whatever you do, do not fall for this one. They had me take out a new credit card and promptly charged $7,200 to it. Being hungry and tired, they finally wore me down and I bought into the scam that promised me 50 weeks of weekly rentals all over the world for $299.00 in nice hotels. I was also promised a free cruise (oh, but you have to pay $575 per person to register). That doesn't sound free to me. The charge was for $4,800. But the funny thing is, they had to make that initial charge of $7,200 and then give me a refund to make it $4,800. That sounds fishy doesn't it?

I asked if I had a period to cancel and they said this was not that kind of a deal. Well, come to find out I had 5 days to cancel. 3 weeks later at home I get the brochure about the $299 rentals, only they aren't $299. I go online to their website and searched for hours and found only 2 and they were 1 1/2 stars! Plus, the terms of use at the website, tell you that the prices can change and they take no responsibility if they are inaccurate. Oh, and the savings, well about $50.00. Let's see at 4,800 I will have to take 96 weeks of vacation to break even. Oh, and then I have to pay $99.00 a year to renew. So that will be 2 more a year. This is a total scam.

I can get better accommodations used Interval and RCI. And I would never stay in a 1 1/2 star hotel for a week. They pressured me all day, lied to me, and hurried me through the paperwork. The next day I find a representative from the timeshare I am staying in outside telling people not to go to Vida Vacations. I thought it was because the initial thing they try to do is have you sign over your timeshares to them and charge you extra money. I thought he was worried we would trade our timeshare. Now I know he was there to warn you against buying anything Vida Vacations offers you.

I wish I had encountered him before I made this giant mistake. Oh, by the way, the people who sold me this scam said they didn't work with vida vacations and even said disparaging remarks about the salesmen. Well, my credit card charge is for Vida Vacations! Lies, upon lies. Whatever you do, do not take these reviews lightly, we are all regretting we ever encountered the people who signed us up to waste a day and be scammed.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Much is offered, but little received. They start with a very high price then offer to come down by sending additional sales persons and managers to sweet talk you into buying and/ upgrading. You think you are getting one thing and it’s like smoke and mirrors. Day and night of what you really get. I have been a member for two years and can't believe the lies and exaggerations perpetrated by this company and their sales representatives. I upgraded to a property and was promised all kind of benefits, perks and Vida Dollars that are only exchangeable through their Vida catalog and are virtually worthless. They say you can use the Vida $ on Amazon. I saw no indication that Amazon had any obligation to accept Vida $ (which are virtually worthless). You think you can use them $ for $. Not. The resort is beautiful and the staff great. But the sales personnel are vultures.

I paid in full $20,278 on my 2 credit cards American Express and Bank of America. I am in the process of first contacting Vida to give them an opportunity to refund my money and cancel my contract before I file a dispute with my credit card companies and the United States Department of State requesting they (Department of State) issue a warning regarding the mass fraud and deception taking place at this company. The State Department should warn all United States citizens to steer clear of these predators.

They lie and sweet talk U S and Canadian citizens out of millions of dollars a year and really offer no real value for your money. They say you don't have to pay an annual fee, but you have to pay at least $1,050 or $1,080 each visit. What is the $20,000 for. Membership in an exclusive club? This is a luxury I hardly can afford. They tell you they are going to pay your SFX, RCI and Registry exchange for a certain period, 1 years. Also, hidden annual fees after a period of time. Read the 40 page contract before you sign anything. The entire staff from the owner, lawyer on down are in on this scam and laugh all the way to Banco of Mexico.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

My husband and I have been Vidanta Owners for 15 years. We originally bought into the Mayan Palace and upgraded every few years to the Grand Bliss. Based on lies and manipulations, we upgraded to the Luxxe and canceled twice before. On our last trip, they again wore us down after 8 hours, lied about benefits, omitted information about changes, and rushed us through paperwork to lock in a deal.

We've been trying for more 5 months to get some resolution, and the most recent e-mail said: "you have read and fully understood the contract which you acquired. Your signature on these legal documents confirms that you are in accordance to the above and any further clauses of the contract in its entirety." Trouble is that they misrepresent what is being signed, don't give you enough time to actually read the 25 pages you are signing, and then leave you hanging when you complain or try to cancel. The properties are amazing, and we always have a great time except for the presentations. I would recommend that people rent weeks from eBay or another timeshare rental, but absolutely avoid the presentations.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I just got back from Cabo San Lucas and wasted two morning there purchasing and cancelling a ownership of Vida Vacations Partial Fractional Ownership. First, let me tell you that they paid me $400.00 to come to the presentation. That is the most that I have ever received for going on a tour. I went with my wife and the resort looked great even though it was under construction. I already own a Hilton Grand Vacation Club membership and a Fiesta Americana Vacation Club. I am not really thrilled with the Hilton properties; but at least I know how it works. When Vida offered to buy my two memberships I considered it. I really was not happy giving up FAVC, but it was the only way I could afford this new offer.

So, let me tell you about the offer they made me. Their purchase price started at $68,000.00 for a two bedroom unit 5 times a year for the next ten years. After ten years it drops down to four weeks per year. There is no annual maintenance; you just pay $1,050.00 each time you use one of their resorts. Sounds like a lot of money, but they give you 10 - $300.00 donation vouchers that you send to their recommended charity or your own; and when they use your voucher as a gift for a charity event, you get the credit. So it is possible to have $3,000.00 banked to go towards your $1,050.00 usage fee. Confused; so were we, but our salesperson said the vouchers are always used and you get another 10 once the first ten are gobbled up. Still not sure; that $68,000.00 still is too much money for me to spend.

So here comes the trade-ins on what I own. They offer me full value for my two properties; more than what I originally paid for them. Too good to be true; right. With some fancy math the price of my new purchase now only be $21,000.00. They show me that in the next ten years I will be paying that same amount for my ownership fees at my properties that I already own. So would I like to still pay the fees that I have or do I want to start with something new. Remember, no maintenance fees at Vida. So, I buy it and set up automatic withdrawals of $209.00 per month for 10 years after putting down $5,000.00 on my VISA card.

We get back to FAVC where our adult children are waiting for us. They are upset that we were gone for so many hours and had shut off our phones while we were out. I tell them what we have done and my son is really upset. I already set up a tour for him to see what I purchased, but he has no interest. He goes on Consumer Affairs and brings up all the terrible reviews. Now I know I have to get out of this deal that was too good to be true. I write Vida and call them to set up an appointment to cancel with them. My children will go with me for this.

We get there and after sitting down with several people, we are out of the deal. But wait; there is one more person that grabs us on the way out. Are you ready for this? He offers me everything that I purchased at $21,000.00 for $7,000.00. 2/3 off what I thought was a great deal originally. What the hell is this place really worth? Now I am concerned about what I already own and its value and I will never go on another sales presentation again.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Vidanta is beyond the worst scam company out there. They will offer you deals, etc to try to get you to participate in their timeshare "ish" programs. You can google online to see the horrible reviews yourself (1 star out of 5). They will wine and dine you for breakfast to try to get you comfortable, but after that they will scam the hell out of you. This is a typical Mexican scam business. They told us all sorts of numbers of how they run the business. Their success rate is 65%. They know what they are doing. It is a full business practically. Anyways, I have been to many timeshare presentations. Compared to others, these guys are pretty aggressive. They even told us the more we don't stay at the property, the better, so they can try to up sale (aka… con) more people into this stuff. Another thing they said is if you want out of the deal, you can trade if for Mexican real estate, but nothing else. What a ** joke.

If you don't believe me, go google reviews for this place and their business. You will find a 1 out of 5 stars and see scam over scam consistently. I hope to god you don't get sucked into this. Somehow they disclosed how their operations work due to the salesman opening his mouth too much. The owner takes 50% of all proceeds to his pockets. They have roughly 2500 employees on staff. I can only imagine they get paid next to nothing while the head guy takes all the money. It doesn't help their story at all. Please stay away from any offer this resort tries to offer or it will waste half a day. They say it will take 1 hour, but it WILL be at least 3+ hours. I will never come back to this place and would ever recommend this place to any friends and family. Horrible Horrible horrible. SCAM beyond SCAM.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

On the phone at 7 am. Waited 2 minutes to be told all units are booked. Asked for a supervisor who tells me there are 100 operators working for all Grand Mayan reservations while there are 150 rooms in Cabo. This is a useless time share to own. Now have been on hold for 40 minutes to speak to customer service.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I was Approached by a woman while getting my rental. To was told that I could receive a "free" tour for me and my entire family to Chicha-Itza and a "free" breakfast. All I had to do is to visit Vidanta. I agree to meet her the following day, she took us to Vidanta. At the beginning everything was excellent everyone was smiling. They gave me a little tour then to breakfast, the pushy salesperson wanted us to hurry up and eat so he could finish his tour. He took us around, I guess he noticed that we had no interest in the property. He turned and said to me and my wife, "my time is important if you don't give me your full attention." He proceeds with his sales pitch. I kept asking how much? He would reply with a, "once we get inside I will explain everything."

We went inside and begun to show me pictures and kept repeating how they were number one blah blah blah. But he would never get to the point, I finally got fed up and told him to stop beating around the bush and get to the point. He got upset and asked me if I had somewhere to be, I told "no", That I didn't came to Mexico to listen to some bs sales pitch. He told me if you don't finish my presentation you are not getting the Price. I said "ok." He immediately called his supervisor and told him that we were done.

The manager begun with his pitch but he was not getting to me. I told "Not interested." He went from $1060 per year for a week for 10 years to $600 per year. I told him that I was just interested. He kept on pushing, until I finally got angry and screamed at him "I NOT INTERESTED." And walked out. After that they got very hostile. This is Totally a scam. Don't fall for it.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Please! Don't go to any presentations by the Vidanta Group at any of their properties in Mexico. Unfortunately, I'm now a victim of the new "Club Membership" program for Millenniums. The one time fee of $1,500 and $99 dollars annual fee for the rest of my life. It is for a "life time membership of 100% SCAM." I wished I had internet access when I was with the sales person because I would had "Googled" or "ConsumerAffairs" searched them.

The media needs to have a full report warning US Citizens about these type of frauds happening down in Mexico. Daniel Chavez Moran karma will get you because you're taking advantage of innocent people who "think" that they're dealing with a reputable company. No wonder the premises are spectacular. They robbing people from left to right and from all parts of the world. The new Cirque du Soleil is going to be the new avenue for more SCAMS! Stay away!!! The free food, cheap tequila, blankets and airfares is not worth your precious vacation time! I hope Citibank helps me! If not, I will pay the price for my ignorance but I hope I can save you from falling in their trap from hell!

Original review: July 22, 2017

Vidanta Group is scamming tourist. All what Vidanta Group wants is your money in US currency at front before you even get to experience their so called Vida Vacations Membership with is another name for "Timeshare." In the summer of 2015, I was in Puerto Vallarta and was constantly hit by the network of people paid by the Vidanta Group to get you to go and see their sales presentation "with no obligation to buy" and get big incentives such as Car rental reimbursement, free local tours, free breakfast etc. I decided to sign in with a mindset that I was not buying any of their services regardless. The good: Nice front end resort, clean, environmentally friendly features, good food, and friendly staff.

The bad: They had a pool of specially train sales rep waiting for us. They split people (one groups) one sales rep per family with the goal of signing up "68%" of the group. I was shocked to see older Americans & Canadians families sign up for Vida Vacations Membership contracts for $80,000.00, 70,000.00, 60,000.00, 40,000.00 etc. So I listened to the sales rep assigned to me. She covered all her material and it boiled down to a Vida Vacations Membership sales. They had 3 different levels. 1 being the very basic ($500k-30k USD), 2 the mid range ($70k-60k USD) and 3 the most expensive ($100k-80k USD). Lady from Florida hit me starting with vacations memberships (1 and 2 bedroom suites) ranging from over $100k USD to $50k USD. Notice, for some reason, they don't like to work with Mexican pesos.

Anyhow, they were taking one whole day out of my vacation and I was not happy, so I politely and respectfully told the 1st sales rep, No thank you. She got up and send a manager, pushing the sale. I told him that I was not after going down on the price. They started at $110k USD, and we were at the $20k and kept on asking how much I was willing to pay for the entry level Vedanta membership, so I kept on saying none (nada) not interested, but keep posing and adding all kinds of incentives ($1,000.00 Vidanta Dollars, Exchange membership, RCI membership etc).

Me and my wife were the only ones left with the sharks and keep switching sales rep on us. I finally told the 4th sales rep, We will pay $10k for their mid range ($70k-$60k) Vacation membership in payments or cash for the 100 years membership and the 5 days cancellation agreement. I was shocked, they accepted the $10k with a $3,500.00 down and give me the 5 days to cancel.

On Monday May 2nd, 2016 at 8am, I called Vidanta customer service to cancel my contract with 2 days from the 5 days cancellation policy. They took all my info and told me that it had been canceled and that they had not charged my credit card as of that AM and that I will not be charged. We went back to the US and check my credit card statement and notice that they did process the charge late on May 2nd, 2016, so I called Vidanta customer service and was told that my contract was not canceled and everyone I talk to, refused to cancel my contract and kept referring me to others and others play phone tags with me and finally, a lady left me a message telling me that my contract was cancelled, but they will not credit my $3,500.00 for breach of contract. So I call back and informed her that I was going to dispute the charge and so I did, but my Bank (JP Chase) was not able to do it.

Bottom line, Vidanta Group took $3,500.00 from a hard working family without providing any type of services and that not right. My advice to other families, stay away from Vidanta Group "Vida Vacations Membership." They show you nice resorts, but they are after your hard earned money. They want you to deposit a monthly payment for a timeshare and still charge you market price for staying in any of their resorts in the form of "maintenance and usage fees." We hope this post help other families avoid Vidanta Group deceiving business practice. We use an email alias to post this message, but will read the emails from time to time. Be safe.

Original review: July 7, 2017

My husband and I were scammed into buying into a contract with Mayan Palace after a breakfast presentation in 2009. We experience many of the nightmares that were stated in the other complaints. Well to make a long story short, we paid off for the timeshare maybe 3 years later. Well it's now 8 years later and my husband and I never used the timeshare again, because of my husband's health condition. See, he had several brain surgeries due to a brain tumor and became paralyzed in addition to many more complications. I received a renovation fee bill for nearly $800 that was never explained to us during the presentation. I called their customer service and explained our medical situation and the fact that we were unable to travel. They really did not care about our condition, since the contract is the only language that they know.

I was transferred to accounting and was told that they could only remove the late fee of $36. I spoke to three people that day and I realized that they were going to do nothing about the renovation fee for this timeshare that we don't and won't use. It's unfortunate that we lost over $10,000 for a timeshare that we used once. We pray that people see these stories and avoid vida vacation. Vida Vacations staff are not human and worship money. Our other timeshare company was courteous enough to at least remove the renovation fees, but vida vacations are sticking to the contract that was deceivingly presented. I am going to be sure to spread the news about this timeshare and have others do so as well. There are other ways to fight back when you have been wronged. We are going to send special prayers against these money-sucking demons who work for vida vacations.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I contacted Vida to inform them that I felt I was not getting the value I was promised and was thinking at cancelling my membership. A supervisor asked me to give them another opportunity and I did. Weeks went by without me getting contacted with the details I requested and, when I just checked in to see what was happening, I discovered that they cancelled my membership and of course are keeping my money as there is no refund after 10 days even if they do not perform as per their representation. I feel very foolish more than anything to have fallen for this obvious scam.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I was on vacation on Mexico Cancun. We sign up for Vida Vacation, and we have decide to cancel the membership. It will not allow to cancel it because it has been 5 business. I spoke to Wendy, and she says "that I cannot cancel it." She gives us 1 option to void the contract. I am responsibility to pay my credit card back, and the company corporate do not have money to refund. This is like a scam. I would not recommend anybody to go for Vida Vacation to anymore. Next time, we go to Vida Vacation. I will not get involve with Vida Vacation.

Original review: May 29, 2017

Beware going to Vidanta. It smells like a scam, some kind of pyramid scheme. They promise a lot and write a lot of numbers but it's all smoke and mirrors. They gave us $100 and a breakfast for a "90" minute presentation that lasted 3 hours. They would not let us out of the meeting and pressured us to stay and threatened to take our $100 from us. If I had not gotten angry and started making a scene we might still be there!. The manager finally came and then a consumer rep both still tried to sell us shares. Beware the guy name Fransisco or Franchesco, a sales rep, very nice until you say "no" and then he starts to criticize and stall. It's not worth a $100. Why waste good vacation time.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I own a timeshare and I'm very familiar with how they work. My husband was interested in Vida to supplement what we already have as or travel has increased. I remained hesitant but agreed. After 8 hours, 8:30am was our pickup time and after breakfast, seeing the property, and speaking to 7 different sales people it was almost 5pm. My husband continued to show interest so they continued to be persistent. As soon as I agreed they charged my card for the total amount.

When Claudia, the "lawyer", came back with the contract I informed her I had changed my mind. The sale had already been processed. I was assured that it was voided. That was two weeks ago, still no refund. I've spoken with them several times, no progress. This morning they advised me to keep waiting because it was refunded and just unsettled with the banks. I let them know I was going to dispute the charge and was told they would reject it because they processed the refund 2 weeks ago. I hung up and proceeded with my dispute through the credit card company. Pure foolishness, please don't waste your time.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I recently complained to Vida and The Registry Collection giving them a chance to rectify the situation. A few days after sending the letter below The Registry Collection called me and explained that it was out of their hands. To this day - Vida has not contacted me with a response. I even attended an "owner update" when I vacationed in Nuevo Vallarta and asked for an explanation. The response was remarkable in them giving me the attitude of they didn't understand why I had a problem with being charged more for my deposits and them being worth less. Less to the point that I cannot stay at properties that I have stayed at for nearly 10 years. What's more, they couldn't understand why I would not spend more money with them for the timeshare deal they were presenting during the owner update.

The following letter is what I sent to Vida and The Registry collection. Beware of buying with them, apparently to them it is okay to change the deal we have with them at any point without notice... "I am a very dissatisfied customer and have several issues that require your immediate attention. My wife and I are owners at the Grand Bliss through Vida - we have been customers since 2004. Initially we bought into the Grand Maya and then upgraded to a "no maintenance fee unless we use it" benefit in 2008 and ultimately to Grand Luxxe in 2012. Eventually we downgraded to the Grand Bliss. These upgrades were substantial expenses that we incurred but we did so with full faith that we were working with an ethical and honest corporation."

"The downgrade was soon after the Grand Luxxe upgrade - this was due to the first of numerous disappointments and unpleasant encounters. We attempted to deposit a week with The Registry Collection - I was informed at that time that as an owner with Luxxe we no longer had access to the properties through Registry Collection. This was NOT told to me and I was misled in this upgrade. I lodged a formal complaint publicly and through a resolution process I was downgraded to the Bliss so that I could once again have access to The Registry Collection. This was a very unpleasant experience and challenged my trust. Several months ago another incident caused me to lose faith in this arrangement altogether."

"In October 2016 we deposited our weeks from Grand Bliss with The Registry Collection. When I did, I split my weeks into a 1 BR and studio and was unexpectedly charged $500.00 more than I have been previously charged. When I questioned this increase I was informed it was due to my unit splitting. I have been able to split units all of these prior years without any such exorbitant fee and I have not been formally notified of any such change to my agreement. This is certainly not the rules in which I had been operating for the last several years. I feel I was pushed into a corner so that I did not lose my time requests and reluctantly paid this fee that had not been adequately explained to me."

"Once the weeks were with The Registry Collection, I called in to try and book a week at the Franz Klammer where we enjoy staying. I was told that the values of my Grand Bliss units were not enough to secure the Franz Klammer. I asked for an explanation and was told that the 5 points and the 4 points were not enough to get the Klammer that now required 17 points total. Nor could I combine three Bliss units as Registry only allows a max of two units to be combined. I have certainly never had this problem before and told the Registry employee this and they did say that the Klammer used to require only 9 points. I asked the question "so under this scenario I can never stay at the Klammer in this method" and the person agreed that this was the case."

"During the conversation it was agree that I could use three of my units to stay at the Klammer in this one instance so I again reluctantly agreed because I had no other option. I asked why this changed and the Registry person told me that Vida directed them to change the point values. I expressed my concern that this was not the agreement that I had been working under for the last several years and had to ask - "why had the rules changed?" After the conversation it occurred to me that even with three units that had a 5 and a 4 value respectively I still could not get to the 17. This would also be the case at the Montecristo in Cabo San Lucas where we have enjoy staying in the past."

"On December 23, 2016 I called Vida to discuss my experiences and spoke with Juan **. He informed me that Vida did not assign property values which I can appreciate however my initial investments and ongoing maintenance fees were paid to Vida as well as the fact we were assigned to The Registry Collection by Vida, I felt Vida had some ownership in this situation and needed to assist in its resolution. Juan ** agreed to facilitate a three way phone call between Juan **, a Registry Collection representative (Cindy) and myself. For a large part of this conversation I was listening to the other two politely argue as to who set the values each pointing to the other. Once again I was caught in the middle between Vida and Registry Collection."

"The fact remains that we agreed to a set of rules and changes are being made at your will with no input from your patrons and certainly with no regard for our allegiance and loyalty to you - this loyalty is obviously one sided. We are not newcomers - we are loyal owners for over a decade. We deserve better communication and certainly more communication and interaction when such substantial modifications are being made to agreements we signed over a decade ago. We have made investments with you in good faith and expect to be treated in a fair manner."

"Attempting to schedule a vacation through our investment has become a miserable experience. I certainly accept that times change and situations have to be adjusted for incoming new customers but I fully expected that the annual 5% maintenance fee escalator along with new customers you bring in would handle these adjustments. I feel I have been taken advantage of and would sincerely appreciate hearing from you as soon as possible regarding a resolution."

Vida Vacations expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Vida Vacations is a timeshare company that was founded in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico in 2010. The company offers real estate interests in 15 resorts in Mexico.

• Luxury destinations: Vida Vacations offers customers timeshares at some of the most luxurious resort destinations in Mexico.

• Great employee treatment: The company is known for treating its employees well, and it has been called one of the Top 20 "Great Places to Work in Mexico" by the Mayan Times.

• Concierge service: Vida Vacations offers its customers a global concierge surface to help travelers plan their travels across the world.

• Trading opportunities: Customers who purchase timeshares from Vida also have the opportunity to visit destinations that are part of other vacation clubs.

• Vacation amenities: Travelers who choose Vida Vacations Resorts have access to a huge range of resort amenities when they travel, including restaurants, bars, activities, entertainment and more.

• Best for: Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property and young professionals with disposable income.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs