Vida Vacations

Compare Timeshares

Research top Timeshares recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Increased Rating!

We bought timeshare weeks at Mayan Palace in 2010 and have been paying maintenance fees every year. We turn over the week to Holiday Systems International who rents the week out and pays us back the maintenance fee minus a small admin fee. We have accepted the fact that we shouldn't have been talked into buying and have kissed the amount we paid for the contract.

Last week we were at Mayan Palace in Riviera Maya and were encouraged to go to a business meeting so they could explain how the business had changed etc. We refused but after thinking about it for a few days my husband started thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to learn what was going on with Vidanta and how it might impact our contract. Luckily, the only time slot available that late in the week was the morning of our departure. Breakfast for all 6 of us and late checkout plus the usual reduction in room expenses was promised and delivered. We made it very clear several times that we had to be on the road by noon. Then the fun and games began.

Yes we got an update on the business (Amazing!) and then the salesman started into a song and dance about how Vidanta is no longer in the timeshare business and is only selling fractional ownerships and for a paltry $567000 we could be the happy owners of 4 weeks in their Grand Luxxe collection. Yeah right - like that was going to happen. Amazing mathematical wizardry unfolded before our eyes showing us what fools we would be not to accept such a fabulous offer.

Once he finally got the message that no meant no, salesman 2 shows up. He explained to us how much we would be paying over the course of the next 25 years in annual maintenance fees and special assessment fees every 5 years. Well we pretty much get back the entire maintenance fee but special assessment fees? Never heard of them and certainly have never paid it. That fee is 2x the maintenance fee every 5 years and 5x the maintenance fee every 25 years - why had we not remembered that detail of the original contract and not been billed for it in 2015? Salesman #2 didn't believe us that we had never received an invoice for the special assessment fee. Of course he didn't have a copy of our contract and neither did we.

The next sales pitch starts - for $4200 we can rewrite our contract and not have to pay maintenance fees or special assessment fees. We only have to pay when we want to stay at Mayan Palace or one of the sister resorts. Seems like a deal especially in light of the huge special assessment fees we have to pay over the next 25 years so we agreed to the rewrite. But we are now at 11:15 and we still have to pack and checkout so we can be on the road by noon and there isn't time to have a contract written up so they agree to email us a contract on the next business day when we are at home but we need to make a 25% deposit and follow-up with the balance within 120 days. We will sign the contract later after a phone call from a business manager later in the week. Fair enough.

Now that I have the new contract and have examined it in the quiet of my own home and compared it to the original contract, I see that there really is no reason that we should enter into this new agreement. There are no special assessment fees mentioned in the original contract. The only additional fee is a renewal fee that is payable every 10 years but that applies to both the old and the new contract and is the same amount in both. So now I come to my question, we won't sign this new contract so will we automatically have the 25% deposit refunded? What should I do proactively to ensure it is returned? I will contact the credit card company to start a dispute claim but is there anything else you advise?

Beware of this companies Timeshare presentation! So very, very pushy. While in Puerto Vallarta we were approached by a gentleman and promised many gifts for an hour of our time. Ended up lasting 7 hours!! Lost the entire last day of our vacation. There was no way to escape. The place is far from a main road. Just say NO!!

Vidanta, or Vida Vacations, (They have changed their name many times over the years) is a complete joke. A multi-billion dollar company that is funded by drug cartels, as a way to launder money in Mexico. They currently have 7 locations in Mexico, and bribe people to sell them timeshares, (oh, my apologies, they are now calling it "Private Residence Memberships" now). They have people at the airport lie to you about what you're going to get for gifts, if you attend a "1 hour presentation" - The first of MANY lies! After that, they bring you to what can only be described as very visually appealing properties. They hire Americans and Canadians, (most who are ex convicts and couldn't make it at a career or an honest job in the States or Canada) to take you on a sales presentation, where they essentially try the ENTIRE TIME to LIE, CHEAT, AND STEAL YOUR MONEY. It's really as simple and indifferent as that.

They make ALL THE FALSE PROMISES IN THE WORLD REGARDING THEIR PROGRAMS, which include, (but is not limited to) world-wide travel options, multiple weeks, "no hidden fees" and only a 1 time fee you have to pay. Little do you know, (IF YOU'RE THAT DUMB TO AGREE TO IT) that it's a 30+ page contract, with more fine print than you'll ever take the time to actually read, (cause it legal jargon) that simply states this: Vidanta aka Vida Vacations has you by the balls, and you can't do ** about it because of international laws. Oh, they also make you do a virtual recording that you agree to all the parts of the contract.

They really cover their a$$, so that yours if left wide open. Agreeing to buying anything here is something I promise you will regret. I know more about them, than any of their clients. They ever try bribing you with promises to experience Cirque Du Soleil, and worldwide travel options. All complete and utter B.S. If you actually know what you're signing up for! They training people to lie, cheat, and steal from you - that says it all! Do yourself a favor; book your vacation online and tell these con-artists to go ** themselves.

I don't know what to add after reading these reviews because they all match up exactly with our very **/Negative experience. First off: when you get out of the baggage claim area - IGNORE EVERYONE that tries to offer you "help" - no rides, no hotels, no nothing - JUST IGNORE THEM - they are ** unethical POS scum suckers. Watch out for someone named Angel (got his pos email address: feel free to tell him what a scum sucker he is - he's the worst. Angel's email: **). I just emailed him and if it bounces I'll delete this part of my review. Vida free breakfast? WTF. First off we didn't even get a breakfast alone - right off the bat a "salesperson" Marcia forced her way into having breakfast with us. And she was scoping us out and trying to become "friends" so she could sells us something 3 hours later.

BTW, we were promised no more than 1 hour of our time - that's **- We started at 0900 hours and finally got out of that ** at 1648 hours. That's nearly 8 hours of high pressure sales tactics. I wish I could share pics because I have some of the people at Vida that tried to scam us. Marcia, Jeff, Luke, and some fatty couldn't get his name. It was almost comical at the end. They went from offering us this bs at $79k USD, then it went to $39k, then $21k, then $15k, then when we thought they finally gave up on us and was in the process of "checking us out" - it then went to $5700 THEN (yes, wait there's more) to $2000... all the way down to $1300. At that price if figured it was worth it UNTIL they refused to update the contract to reflect their VERY VERBAL promises about 50 additional weeks to stay anywhere we wanted - but they refused to confirm these would NEVER expire.

Contract person LUKE (** thin guy) then started saying (reverse psychology) - "then maybe you shouldn't sign it... I wouldn't if you don't trust us..." HA - we went around and around for about 3 mins - then all of a sudden he grabbed all the UNSIGNED paperwork and walked out. Then I told the other guy how rude and unprofessional that was and his (fatty) reply was "well you just wasted an hour and a half of my time." I said you guys are bs and you wasted 8 hours of ours. I actually showed fatty these reviews here and he said how can that be they must be fake because they have over 400,000 (yes, 400,000) very happy customers.

BTW, they charged my CC but it's only pending and I NEVER SIGNED anything. But the key is they said it's not a timeshare - it's a "private residence club".

Guess what. The charge is on my CC under description? It says "timeshare" Hahahahaha. I already emailed my CC company to tell them this is not an authorized charge/I never signed anything. We also found out the "discounted" prices of massages and a cat sailing trip was actually supposed to be free - so Angel (above) cheated us out of $180. That's cool though - it's only $180 instead of $79K or $39K or whatever. I'm going to post some pics of people - hopefully you'll never see them because if you do that means you fell for this pos scam. Like my better half says - if it's too good to be true then it is... Thank GOD we never signed **. They should all burn in Hell.

It all started when I first walked with Jane my wife to that big resorts. We was a little bit lost at the beginning but amazed at the same time. We gave our information and then we met one of the managers that told us what are we doing today and then introduced us to the representative which is a very nice guy who took us for breakfast, showed us around, and explained how the program works. We loved the rooms and flexibility of the membership which is very different from timeshare. And we signed in to the grand collection. We're very happy for what we did and we read all the contract when we went back to the resort where we are staying. And we just contacted them to make the reservation for our next trip in August. Amazing property, very kind people, and very nice treatment. The only thing that we didn't like is that they pushed a little bit on us to do it but if they didn't we would've miss such a great opportunity.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vida Vacations?

I add to the history that I wish I had read before I fell for the scam. 4 years ago I was convinced to buy at Grand Mayan Riviera Maya. According to the hype, I would be able to get rentals every year from Global Golf Connections. All I have is debt and regret! Global Golf never rented anything and I would call regularly. They stated that they were going through last years inventory but that soon I would see money coming in. They have since sold the business to Latitude 21 and they are in the same boat. I am a single mom that was tricked to believe the lie and now I am stuck. I post so that maybe I can save someone from the same mistake I made. Don't trust.

My wife and I were on vacation in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, and stayed at The Grand Mayan. We went to a timeshare presentation. Unfortunately I fell for it and I am very sorry that I attend to their 90 minutes presentation, which turned out to be more like 5 hours of high pressure selling strategy they use to sell one of their units. We paid them 6500 and our relatives paid them 5500. When we were to return to the States we were supposed to send a wire for an additional 2500. We were desperate for help once we arrived home from Mexico and found out we had been scammed.

One day, my wife found the services of Mexican Timeshare Solutions online while trying to find someone who would rent our Grand Mayan weeks. We were tired of having to keep paying the monthly maintenance fee as it was like throwing good money after bad. The process took about 6 months but my timeshare contract is cancelled. I did verify the cancellation directly with the resort before submitting payment to Mexican Timeshare Solutions. Fortunately we are free from this contract. DO NOT ATTEND ANY PRESENTATIONS AT THE GRAND MAYAN, MAYAN PALACE OR ANY RESORTS OWNED BY VIDANTA/VIDA VACATIONS. Their sole purpose is to run timeshare/vacation package scams.

Okay, I will start by saying ditto to everything negative that has been said here. We were guest for a week with friends that have been long time Vilata members. We stayed in the Grand Luxxe IV tower in Puerto Vallarta and it is truly a Paradise. Everything was perfect from the weather to the wonderful staff who would always greet us with a big smile - putting their hand to their heart with a compassionate welcome, it doesn't get any better than that. The views, the beaches, the turtles and the constant maintenance and manicure to the beautiful landscape. Our friends have been there many times and were great at taking us on tour of the town and countryside. Even as we traveled away for the resort we never felt threatened or encountered any negativity. It was a wonderful vacation. That was the good, now for the bad.

Our friends warned us in detail of the time we would spend with the salesman (Rod). But for doing it we received four free massages, and they too were wonderful. We started with a great (free) buffet breakfast after which the fun began. It's very similar to those mentioned here. We ended up talking to I think (I honestly lost count) 7 different salesmen for 5 plus hours. The offer started at $45,000 and after saying no many times they were down to an offer of $2000 including 2 free round trip airfare tickets including one week at the resort. My wife and I were both overloaded on the number game they played making it very overwhelming. But we endured and walked away. The result was having experienced one of the best vacation we have ever had. The bottom line is just say NO! Sometimes not easy to do, they are so good at what they do.

Once through customs at the Cancun airport there is an area that you walk through that is nothing but people approaching you about timeshares! There should be a warning about this because they look and act like they are going to help you find your transportation! The first person we were led to, we told them "No, we already have a timeshare." He said..."I shouldn't tell you this but you should talk to this guy next to him, who represented this one." He asked us why we weren't using it and we explained, we inherited it and have never been able to use it. After offering a free breakfast, 2 bottles of alcohol, a day at X-crete and promised nothing more than just that and a tour of the property so next time we would come back and use it. He would PERSONALLY pick us up at our hotel! BTW his name was JOHNNY!

The morning came for Johnny to pick us up and it was a different guy. We drove 40 min to this resort. Pull up to a huge group of people waiting. They come and get my husband and I right away take us ahead of everyone, to another van waiting to drive just a little ways up the hill (the van was packed full of people). They take us up to the entrance. Nobody says a thing. Just follows through around to the pool. We are thinking maybe breakfast? NO!!! We turn right there is a huge area with lots of counter space. They want us to give them all of our info on our timeshare and flash our credit card. My husband said "No. I'm not showing you my credit card" and the guy was nasty.

Immediately another guy showed up, we told them "This is not what we came here for or what we were told about." They try and make you feel like it is and it's your fault. Ended up being 2 guys coming over to us. They took us over by the pool and lobby. As soon as we were away from the other people. It got nasty. I finally told them "I didn't care about anything free and I could pay my own way back to my resort so where do I get a taxi?" At that point he said "Oh no we will get you back" and escorted us back down to where the first van dropped us off. I said "I better get back to my resort and not end up in the middle of nowhere!" He said "I assure you... you will." I have to say I was a little scared! Never again will I do that!

Wow, I wish I had looked at these reviews before we went to the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta. We went with friends on November 13, 2016. Between our friends and us we own 4 timeshares which we are quite happy with. We met with a nice young man from Calgary, our 1st salesman. We had a nice breakfast and went for a nice tour of the rooms. Then the games began. We told him "no" many times. By now it's lunchtime and they are bringing sandwiches and we are tag-teamed by about 3 more MANAGERS. We continue saying "no" and now it's about 4 pm. Tom now loses the nice appeal when he points and shows us where to go get our prizes.

Now we meet with Oscar. We tell him we want to go and get beer - we've had enough! Out comes the beer. Now he telling us he has a foreclosure deal that is too good to pass up. We can pay $7566 and then we will use this credit to pay for the vacations that we book. He even gives us his cell number to call. Not sure why but we fell for it. We even gave him a Canadian shirt, he was so nice.

So now we go to book a trip and find out that we have nothing but access to a timeshare we already had. So we try to call and straighten out the mistake... Haha. Finally got through and spoke with the lawyer who said we did not have what I explained. I told him we already had 4 timeshare between us so there is no way we would buy another one. He said he would look into it and call me back. Have not hear a thing. Now I cannot even get through. They must have my number blocked. What a load of crap. We work hard all our life and get ripped off by these guys. They were so nice to our faces telling lies the whole time. I will never go to a time share again!! Now I just want to get my money back.

I too like everyone else was talked into going to a presentation at the Nuevo Vallarta Vidanta resort that was only to be 2 hours. I am a female and was all alone which made my situation even more frightening. The rep was held at the first security entrance and I was then subsequently sent by myself to the resort. Upon arrival I was asked if I had any plans or needed to be anywhere else later and I clearly relayed that "yes" I did which that too was completely ignored. After the presentation and short video that's when 7 hours of relentless pressure selling by "5" different men started. I consistently said no and asked over and over and over to leave. They kept telling me that they would get "sign out" papers but would have me sit for long periods of time just have another salesman to try break me then again lower the purchase price.

This all takes place away from the point of check in so beside the fact that the resort is not publicly accessible and away from the main roadways you must be shuttled back, so walking away is not a option. When I was finally shuttled back to the main building I thought I was finally free. Again I was told they would get me signed out, only to have the 5th salesman come. Again the purchase price was lowered. At this point I realized that I might have to buy my way out. I remembered being told that "I could cancel the contract within 5 days".

After hours and hours I was mentally and physically exhausted. (After reading all the other reviews this is a normal process for Vida vacations sales people.) I just really really wanted to leave so I finally agreed, under duress, to purchase. I felt like I was being held prisoner. The paperwork was prepared and it was then upon really reading the fine print that I discovered that yes, you can cancel the contract. But you would have to pay a $99 membership cancellation fee and you would LOSE any DOWN PAYMENT.

There was no way, even now, that I would ever return to that resort, even if I was paid to! So I physically wrote void on the contracts and demanded to leave. I kept the financial credit card document to ensure that my card was not charged. The salesman was angry and told the lady to "get her out of here". I was finally free! The two gifts that had been offered were very insignificant but nonetheless, I never did receive them. I contacted Vidanta's customer care to relay this and complain giving them a chance to amend somehow but just like my continuing "no's" and plea to leave was ignored so was my complaints. Whether it is your family or friends, please tell them to NEVER go to a presentation. It's not worth a tormented destroyed vacation day.

Reading the reviews I feel lucky that we escaped without any problems... I was approached in a shopping mall by a rep with great incentives. I thought it would be interesting to see another resort. The resort is beautiful but the sales pitch is relentless. We said no to the first salesman, no to the second and then we were asked to wait. We decided we had waited long enough and got up which they quickly took control and had us sit while they "retrieved our gifts" only to be handled by another sales rep.

She said she would be five minutes showing us another cheaper timeshare, which we told her we were not interested. She continued on with her sales pitch. We told her that her five minutes were up and we were done. She threatened to not give us our gifts. She left frustrated. We got up again and again we were quickly moved to another area which we demanded to leave. We were lucky that we escaped without spending any money. The only thing we lost was precious vacation time.

I own 8 timeshares in Mexico and Austria, including a Membership at Vidanta Resorts. I checked-in at the Grand Mayan Jungle on Riviera Maya on December 10th, after spending a week at Villa del Palmar Cancun and a second week at the Royal Haciendas. Immediately after check-in, I was approached by a Concierge and told I must go to a "members' update", as there were many changes at the resort. In early October I had sent an email to Vidanta Resorts requesting a brief meeting so my membership benefits could be explained. I thought this "members' update" was in response to my email.

I showed up at the agreed time, and shortly thereafter I was introduced to the Vida Vacations staff, and assigned to one staff member, Max. We had a lovely breakfast buffet, followed by a few drinks. The 90 minutes on the appointment paper expanded to more than 7 hours. Clearly, this was a sales presentation from the beginning, as Max spent quite little time responding to my questions about my membership with Vida Vacations at the Grand Luxxe Residential Loft (which I had purchased 10 months earlier in Nuevo Vallarta). About 6 hours into the presentation, I finally agreed to purchase another timeshare for $27,440 (which included 4 timeshares which Vidanta would write off). I was given a written guarantee that Vidanta would buy back my new membership after 2 years, and I would receive at least 65% of the purchase price.

When one purchases at timeshare at a timeshare presentation in Mexico, you have 5 business days (excluding Sunday and Mexican holidays) to cancel the contract agreement. You may cancel your contract: by returning to the sales office and receiving a canceled receipt; or by mailing all documentation to the address provided in the contract (Vidanta's offices are located at Marina Vallarta in Puerto Vallarta).

I signed the contract on December 13th, which was a Tuesday. That evening I read all the documentation provided by the sales staff, including the contract. I was quite disturbed that I was only guaranteed a 65% return on my financial investment after 10 years. Why would I find a 35% devaluation on my investment to be acceptable? The 65% refund could only be used towards another Vidanta property (Mayan Properties), and it could not exceed 20% of the total purchase price.

I had told Max that I had already booked my attendance at Joya, the Cirque du Soleil dinner theater for Wednesday evening and that I would be spending the day relaxing at the resort prior to the show. One of my "prizes" was a tour of Tulum (which included a visit to a jewelry store and a (tequila tasting room & souvenir shop), prior to the bus trip to Tulum. Max was going to meet me Thursday after the bus trip and go into town for dinner. Friday, I was returning home. The purpose of the salesman's efforts to wine, dine, and provide activities after the sale is to show you a good time and control your activities. The salesman doesn't want you to have time to review the contract documents and return to the sales office to cancel the contract. If you do decide to return to the sales office, they have staff members who specialize in rescuing the deal.

I returned home 3 business days after the contract was signed. On the 4th business day (Saturday), I went a certified letter receipt requested to Vidanta's contact center at Marina Vallarta providing notification that I was canceling the contract agreement. I followed the matter up with an email to Vidanta, also on Saturday, December 17th. On Tuesday, December 27th a staff member of Vidanta Resorts left a voicemail message on my cell phone, asking if there was anything Vidanta could do to consummate the contract. I did not return their call. Clearly 7+ hours was not enough to satisfy a 90 minute attendance requirement. "No" never means "no" to these sales people. By sending the certified letter return receipt requested, I had met my contractual obligation to cancel the agreement. No further communication is necessary.

While in Nuevo Vallarta in February, I upgraded from a Grand Bliss membership to the Grand Luxxe Residential Loft (pre-construction). My membership includes: 2 weeks per year for 100 years in a Luxxe Loft; 1 week for 10 years in a Luxxe Loft; and 2 privilege weeks for 100 years. I believe the 10 weeks (1 week per year for 10 years) are what most Developers call bonus weeks (weeks owned by the Developer made available upon request by members who pay the maintenance fee). Developers need cash to finance construction. Payment of maintenance fees for bonus weeks provides additional cash for the Developer, until the unit is sold to a buyer. Privilege weeks basically works the same way.

Vidanta provides: an RCI membership (largest exchange company in the world); SFX Exchange; the Registry Collection (an elite exchange company), and Vida Vacations (discounted travel, tours, & marketing). Why would anyone need RCI, SFX Exchange, and the Registry Collection? It appears that one exchange company should be sufficient to meet anyone's needs. Multiple exchange memberships provides annual revenue to multiple exchange companies and brings new blood into the home resort (providing additional sales opportunities). However, these multiple exchange memberships provide limited additional benefits to the Member (the owner of the timeshare). Vidanta Resorts provides beautiful upscale vacation experiences. Unfortunately, their sales staff is too aggressive.

Will keep it short. Vidanta reps at airport promise you a bunch of "free" gifts. If you agree to get the car rental deal, you will get fleeced as you will later find out that the price you pay for rental is more than you were told. They hurry up everything, and make you sign a bunch of stuff. At the presentation, they try to force you to buy... If it is that great as they claim, then they shouldn't have to force... People should be running in to buy it, right? We said no to all, and finally a woman came who introduced herself as Ash from Australia, and she was downright rude when we said we didn't want to buy. She said in a very stern tone "So you just came for the free gifts?" We were like, no, the guy at the airport was persistent and pretty much talked us into attending, and she says "Did he put a gun to your head?" Wow...

First of all, there were no free gifts. They offered a deal at the airport which we later found was not a deal... so, we had paid for the "gifts" already, but even if they had been free or a great deal as they had claimed at the airport, this is what their claimed business model is, "We offer you free gifts in exchange for your time to listen to our **, and hope you fall for it". And hence Ash should not be upset that we said no.

Bottom line, this company is out to fleece people. We got cheated at the airport for the "free gifts" they offered, but thankfully we didn't fall for it big time as we said no at the presentation and got out... It was supposed to be 90 minutes, but I don't know which minutes they talk about, as we were there from 9 am to 1:30 pm... Take out 45 minutes for breakfast, and that is almost 4 hrs of BS we had to listen to. Do NOT accept their offer at the airport, and if you do fall for it at the airport, DO NOT buy at the presentation.

In our case, even the Hertz rep at the Cozumel airport counter gave us wrong information... He said the amount we were paying was US$ X (and wrote it on the contract, but of course, he wrote it with his pen and so it wasn't printed on it. What was printed was the peso amount, and their conversion rate was written on the Hertz counter wall, which looked official, but again, it's not on the contract). Later after coming back to US, I checked my credit card bill and see I was charged $16 above what the rep told me. Sucks that Hertz was not truthful.

Absolutely disgusting!! Totally took advantage of my parents!! Be very careful!! Don't even attend their "complimentary" anything. Nothing is complimentary, they scammed my parents out of $30,000, kept them until late into the evening and they eventually got sucked in. Lies after lies! They should be ashamed to take advantage of people.

As I read through the other complaints - they all sound so familiar! Tell anyone who mentions they are going to Cancun to be aware of this scam. They rope you in before you leave the building (must be government approved). They entice you with a great price for an activity you might want to do with your family at a very reduced price. You are promised a free buffet breakfast just to listen to the information and you have no obligation to buy. The people at the airport are very charming so don't be swayed! After you go through customs, keep your head down and just keep walking until you are out of the building. Give the appearance you know what you are doing and don't stop until you are outside!

Unfortunately we were unaware of this when we visited and were beaten down, promised a bill of goods that was just not true. Fortunate for them the wifi is so bad where we were in Mexico and at the resort we could not do adequate homework before we were sucked in. We said "No" so many times before we were given a deal that you couldn't pass up. If there is a class action lawsuit against this company I would gladly participate.

Manipulated immediately in the airport. Promised all kind of free gifts, airfare, free vacation to attend a breakfast and a tour. We were there from 9:00 am until 6:30 pm, no matter how many times we said no they continued to come back with a lower price and more benefits. To top it off they would credit us $37k and buy our Diamond resort timeshare. I even paid $400 for a title transfer to Global who supposedly handles these property transfers. Of course Global offered me additional benefits if I'd keep the Diamond property. I should have trusted my instincts, instead I was gullible and duped out of thousands of my hard earned money. Please don't fall victim to these thiefs.

Wow, that was close! After a really nice 4 days at the Grand Mayan, in a huge lovely suite, I was really buttered up and a perfect target for their expert team of sales vultures. I should have realized the minute I checked in, exhausted, hungry and vulnerable, and the front desk immediately hit me up for a presentation, to run away. But they know how to work you. Several phone calls reminding me, a free breakfast and a promise of a discount on the expenses from the hotel, I went along to an 'informative' meeting. Well, the promises were way too good to be true.

After 4 saleswomen tag teamed me, I was so beat down I started to sign contracts. They would get me out of my timeshare, hook me up with guaranteed weeks at a lush property, the price went from $68K to $8k to $6K. And I'd put $1850 on my Visa for a deposit... when suddenly reality struck: Get away FAST! It's a scam. So I said no. I said No over and over until I got the Visa cancelled. And I kept saying No till I got the hell out of there. So my advice about Vidanta Vida: just say NO.

Vida Vacations LIES. Please don't listen to their promises. Their timeshare sales pitch is great - if only it were true. We were promised: trade-in our other timeshare. They would pay us for the other timeshare. We would not be out any money. When we returned from vacation, we received a Bank of America credit card and a $10,000 charge. We never authorized an application for a credit card, let alone a charge. Save yourself potential out-of-pocket fees, and a whole lot of aggravation. DO NOT accept ANY type of deal they want to make.

My sister and I went to the presentation. They LIED and told us Vida dollars were dollar for dollar. We asked multiple times about this. Come to find out it isn't. You get maybe 20-35 dollars off a hotel room. It is a ripoff!

We said “No, no, no, we don't want to attend a presentation,” and they kept begging, playing on our sympathies, saying they had to meet their quota to be paid. We reluctantly agreed to attend and it was the mistake of a lifetime! After 8 hours of abuse starting at $159K to buy into their timeshare and ending at $8K (reduced benefits), we were basically told we were confused or stupid for not wanting to buy in. We were transferred to fill out a satisfaction survey but then they hit us up again.

After abuse from two more sales people, we agreed to buy in at $2K for 4 years of 1 week stays each at use rates of ($299, $499, $699 studio, one br, two br)... We fell prey due to suffering from exhaustion from 8 hours of abuse and just wanting to get out of the situation. When we read the contract back in our room, we saw the $299, $499, $699 rates they quoted were not actually in the contract. We went back and asked that the contract be rescinded (which they are required to do my Mexican law according to PROFECO). We are still waiting for the refund of what we paid. The whole thing is a fraud. Avoid Vidanta!!! It ruined what would have otherwise been a nice vacation.

Stopped in Puerto Vallarta to have a snack and drink and was approached by the hostess Carina about going to check out Vidanta. Said we would get a great breakfast and just a quick 60 minute presentation of the new Cirque du Soleil. Well this 60 minute presentation lasted from 9 am until 6 pm...a wasted vacation day. Their sales pitch started with a timeshare at Vidanta for $55,000. After many many talks telling them we were not interested we were finally escorted to a patio area where again another sales pitch but now the offer was $19,000. Again said no so then we were taken to the lobby area where yet ANOTHER SALES PITCH this time offering it for $8900.

I was totally against it but my husband signed and before I knew it they had opened up a B of A Card and charged the $8900. Sadly once we got back to our hotel I went online to read reviews and wished I had done this while waiting 6 hours in a room full of sales persons. Now we are desperately trying to find a way to cancel this contract...even though they tell you it's guaranteed you will get a 2 bedroom suite for $499 I'm now finding out every year the rate will go up. PLEASE IF I could just help one person not fall for their gimmicks like we did I will be happy. Of course they show you the nice clean smelling room but what you will end up with is a musty smelling room with worn out sofas.

Vida Vacations - Private Reserve Collection - I cannot believe I fell for the scam in Cancun at the Vidanta, Riviera Maya! After being there for a total of 6 hours and saying "NO" at least 50 times with multiple sales people harassing me, I bought into your Travel Collection Membership. I tried to cancel this today. I will be disputing with my credit card company. PLEASE BEWARE AND DO NOT FALL FOR THIS. KEEP SAYING NO!!! I WORK TOO HARD FOR MY MONEY TO BE SCAMMED!!!

They told us to deposit $2,740.00 to become a membership and that they will reimburse to our account and that we can use for anything that belong to Vida Vacations and also the booking fee for 1-2-3 bedroom will range from $299 to $999 depend on 1-2-3 bedroom. They didn't reimburse any money to us and when we call for booking they said 2 bedroom will cost us $1400. Horrible and lie company.

We visited Puerto Vallarta, Mexico recently and were trapped by Vida representatives in the airport. They promised us a nice experience the next day when visiting their new hotel, with a breakfast and at the end 4 tickets to visit an island. We were there at 9:00 AM hoping to start with the breakfast, but were said that breakfast will be giving after we listened their presentations. After 5 hours of tours and presentations and a lot of complains from our part, because we couldn't leave because the hotel is located in a remote part of town, we were yelled by the representatives if we leave we won't receive the tickets, for which we already have paid $100 (our share according the airport representative).

After some talks we were offered a nice packed, which seems attractive, but we reasoned, if we could trust them after all their lies and mistreatment. We left very disappointed. After two hours of our arrived, we beg them for a cup of coffee, even asked them to sell us the coffee, but they were adamant in their rule of don't given anything before we hear their presentation. You lost 4 possible customers for your untrained employees and a cup of coffee.

We were very naive and got sucked into the high pressured sales talk to buy a grand apartment in the Riviera Maya complex south of Cancun. In Cancun presages people approach you and offer a free breakfast and free transport to Vida resort about 30 minutes drive south of Cancun on the 307. A rep from the resort will show you around and offer you a fabulous breakfast. After which the sale pitch begins. They offer a deluxe a resort accommodation for $1000 per week which sound ok but you have to stump up $65000 but putting 35% down and paying the rest on monthly payments. That gives you... supposedly... which is lies... access to this for 100 years. We refused this and then they come up with a cheaper option. Again more lies.

They say some other guest upgraded so this 2 bedroom apartment was 30 thousand and gave you 3 weeks in the resort for the same $1000 USD. ALSO they promised that for each week at one of their 7 resorts could be exchanged for 4 weeks at almost any luxury hotels in the world thru RCI or ICI. But there is costs to join those organisations that Vida didn't disclose to us. Surprise surprise. They get you to sign many papers which is the contract. If you want to think about it overnight then Vida says it's only a one-time offer good for today only... which you assume is an offer too good to pass up... but if it's too good... then buyer beware. So my suggestion is DO NOT GET SUCKED IN.

Purchasing Vida vacation was a very wrong move for our family. It is mentally torturing us because we have spent a lot of money to purchase a timeshare. The sales person told us lots of lies just to make a sale and got our deposit. I am telling you all whoever is reading this please do not waste your money because you will regret. We are people, and we tend to believe in people, but people who are working for Vida are not good people. I believe in karma, and they will suffer. I have seen it happened and it will happen to those people who lie just to make a sale. I know some will say that it is business and it is their job but if the sales people refuse to lie than the owners of Vida will make sure they deliver as they promise.

Our story is very sad because we got into this by helping a good friend. We were given a timeshare that my old friend could not use it because of his old age, so he ask us to take it over. He thought this was a simple transfer, but no, we had to pay over $1,400.00 just to transfer to our name. When we went to book a week we were asked to pay the usage fee and up to this was okay. The real problem started when we went to Vida vacation to the Mayans. After enjoying our time for few days, we were invited to a free breakfast and free boat ride. We enjoyed our breakfast but refuse to use the free boat ride. A sales person came to us prepared with full information what type of package we had.

After talking to us very nicely, she started to explain to us that the package we were given is not good. She told us that we would have to upgrade this. If not then we will have to pay maintenance of over $10,000.00 but if we upgrade then, they will give us a better package and will not be required pay this amount plus we will get better hotels/suite. We had no choice but to make the decision right there because if we refuse the offer will be over and we will have to pay that $10,000.00 on the renewal of the current package because there were lots of changes happened since my friend had purchased this timeshare. Furthermore, we were told that this was the last package and if we failed to grab it will be gone. We had no choice so we agreed and paid the deposit which got increased during the process because she told us that we could transfer the timeshare without the transfer fee if we need to sell this timeshare.

The amount got increased further because we had to pay the tax and fee. The deal got up to $26,000.00 American dollars. We paid the deposit and were asked to sign the agreement that was not explained because the sales person told us we would get a package within 3 to 6 weeks. It has been 6 months since then and there is no package.

When we started to enquire by calling their office we were told there is no package and we owe the balance that we should pay. We wrote to several different representatives of Vida still don't have a package. When we called to inquired several different answers were given such as one told us we have 2 free weeks and the other one said 3 weeks. This is just one example and there are still other issues and clarification that we needed information and when we called the information provided were inconsistent so we requested a written information of the package we have purchased and we are still waiting.

We got very concerned and started to look online, the reviews we have read is unbelievable. I can totally relate to those poor individuals that got sucked into this. I went a little further and started investigating about Vida vacation by calling Timeshare buys and companies that help with getting out of it. The Vida vacation is highest on a bad list. I got blown off when reading through the reviews. I am very upset and want to take to the Canadian Government for help. I would like to bring it the attention of the local member of the Federal Government so that they can take to the highest level. Please if you are thinking of buying timeshare do not buy Vida vacation. It is not worth it.

The resorts are beautiful with very gracious and kind staff. The grounds are immaculate. The pools are very clean, spacious, and comfortable. You would almost want to stay there forever - almost - then I remember... Remember, this is no-inclusive in a land brimming with all inclusives. Remember that, from the time you enter the complex, there's a caste system based on bracelets - other guests know which resort you are in - so in some cases you are ostracized, in addition to being asked to visit the lobby midway through your stay to "make sure" you still can pay the bill.

Remember that it's all about controlling the guests money, time, and space through the use of Inquisition-grade "meetings" (no remorse for your lost time, which in our case was a whole day) to coerce you into surrendering your money for a pipe dream timeshare of no value to any but Mr. Chavez Moran and his cohorts; oversized complexes requiring tram-only access and creating unnecessary dependency on the staff. Remember that the powers that be are shameless enough to allow other timeshare owners to trade weeks at their nicer home resort for a substandard room and accommodations - clean but very spartan - enough to create a sense of want sufficient to draw anyone into the Lobby to see how to get more privileges/play the game to get more perks - and you even wear a bracelet identifying yourself as "lower class" than the other guests, complete with lobby and pool for "your kind."

If you can extract the Pura Vida and walk away a more relaxed and healthy human on planet Earth from a stay at one of these programmed, no-inclusive, divisive, class-conscious, respect and timesucking complexes, my hat is off to you. My Sweetheart and I, on the other hand, believe that life is too short, and we will be trading in our Vidanta timeshare to another more savvy complex where people and their experiences and money count. Have a nice life, Mr. Chavez Moran, and remember that Karma will always remain on your guest list.

Please save yourself from these scammers esp. Jody & brave. Bunch of losers. Trying to trap innocent people making sure that you have credit cards on you to trap you to buying into their most unworthy time share.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I feel ridiculous admitting we got sucked in by this group after all the issues with our present timeshare. We visited San Jose Del Cabo on a family vacation and made the grievous mistake of visiting the Grand Mayan as it was located within walking distance to our present timeshare location. My husband and I had left our teenagers in our room and made it clear to our sales rep we did not have a lot of time as we needed to get back to them. We were assured this was an easy breakfast and he was all about facts and no pressure and if we at anytime wanted to leave and were not interested to just say so and it would be done. Easy as that. He reminded us of our oldest son and we felt comfortable. BIG MISTAKE! I want to add that we had previously assured each other (my husband and I) that we would NOT make any decisions while in Cabo.

We had done that too many times on spur of the moment things and not been happy in the past. It's those pressure tactics they all are trained to use so well that get you. Fast forward to the info we were presented made this seem like an amazing deal. We were told how Vida was planning a new resort and we would have access first at this. How they were building a day club to go along with the resort we were looking at that day affiliated with the Hakkasan Night club in Las Vegas. My husband had mentioned how he loves Las Vegas. We were asked what our complaints with our current timeshare were. We said our maintenance fees and our lack of being able to book anything. He asked how far out we were able to look at properties, all the while smiling and nodding and being super friendly. We said only 10 months and most properties seemed to need to be booked prior to that.

I explained I bought into the timeshare originally because we had wanted the ability to book in California when we needed for things like soccer tournaments and at the time dance competitions. We were never able to do so and always told we needed more points. We bought into that and bought more, but still never being able to book accordingly. He assured us that was what he always heard with others from our timeshare group and he could help us get out of our high fees and guarantee bookings for less. OK...we were not going to get sucked in, BUT that had our attention. So we made the HUGE mistake of listening when we should have known it was lies and walked out the door at that point I suppose now looking back. I wanted so hard to believe there were honest people in this world that I stayed. My husband reminded him we needed to get back to our teens and that we were making NO decisions while in Cabo.

We had already stressed this several times. He said he understood but could he show us something really quick. STUPIDLY again we agreed thinking of how much he reminded us of our oldest son. UGH! Well he explained to us how we could use our vacation with them to book smarter at the resorts we already knew and loved with our present company, BUT because their level in the timeshare world was higher (Private ownership so to speak) we would be able to look for places well over a year out and could get wherever we wanted. He went on to say one week at their resort was equal to 2 at the resorts we loved. That because of the status of private ownership with them we would be more of a priority than as members of the company we were with. That the company we were with was 3rd on the list of being able to book and they were in the top level. Well it seemed to make sense to us and we were interested.

Then he went on to explain how they would credit us for our current timeshare ownership, even though we still owed on one. That we would no longer need to pay those fees with a one time transfer fee so that it would be sold by another company. He warned us to get all paperwork together for the other dept so they could handle everything and that it needed to be 150 days out to avoid another set of fees in January. He stressed that time frame was close and not delay. AGAIN he was stressing time was imperative and we stupidly did not listen to our gut feeling. We again stressed we would not be leaving Mexico with a new timeshare and no decisions would be made that day. My husband reminded him he had assured us we could leave at anytime (we had been here close to 2 hours by this time) and he said of course, but let me show you one more thing.

This of course was him offering yet another discounted plan for us since we did not take his first 2 offers. We passed again and he said he would go get the papers for us to leave and have the person come over that needed to verify we were not interested. He sent his boss who then offered more incentives to TEST the waters. We declined. Money out of pocket was a HUGE issue and we said so to the boss as well. So we were ready to go when he came back with yet another offer. Now let me explain that by this point breakfast had worn off, our kids were texting like crazy and my husband was hungry again. We had been there for hours and wanted to leave. He assured us how easy this would be and how he could get us this last offer he was fairly certain which would save us money come January when our fees were set to increase he had been told by many other owners in our group. UGH and we listened.

I am sure due to lack of food and the simple fact we were tired and wanted to leave; we listened. He went on to explain how easy it was to simply change to a company who cared about you and would guarantee your bookings or they paid you. That we would be getting a personal rep to HELP us with each and every booking to make it simple and fast, unlike the nightmares I was used to. My husband perked up at that knowing I go through a lot trying to book any vacation now and he asked about it. GREAT. The rep now knew he had interest again. He went on to say how they were so easy to deal with and they take care of bookings themselves to take the stress off. I liked that. He then assured us that not only would we get our week we would be buying, but that we got more weeks and that if we were willing to give back a week for the next year we would get a further discount.

That week would allow them being able to bring in more people to look at Vida vacations and helped them. I was fine with it since I wanted to book in our present location anyways and I got 2 weeks with them for one week with Vida. Sounded great. We were told we should book a vacation right away as they could then offer us $2000 in Vida dollars once booked and we paid the fee for that booking. That was in addition to the fact that the first booking fee EVERY year was given back in Vida dollars to spend. HUH? GIVEN back? "Vida dollars that we were able to use anytime and never expired" he said. He explained how wonderful they were and they were the 4th way of booking with their company.

When I said I was frustrated by how our present company had told us we could trade points into booking airfare but it was always high rates, he assured us they used a system set us for them like Expedia. That they were linked with the discount companies and we would get those great low fares. We loved that idea as well. He said we could not book an airline without a hotel stay though, but that was fine with me and I explained I had a trip in October coming up I need that for as well as November. We asked how fast we would have access to this and told it was within days. That was August and we were JUST able to gain access this week! We were very concerned about the down payments and that was one of the reasons we had said no so many times. That was why the boss came over and they changed our offer so many times.

We stressed many times we did NOT want to leave with a new timeshare but he made it seem so important to finalize then to avoid our increased fees come January (fees we still do not have confirmation will increase but were told over and over by our sales rep they would at 6% Increase) that we should do it now. That we would save so much and it was so easy. That once signed over we would save and the company would take care of all the old timeshare problems within 12 months at the most. That they would handle our old timeshare easily and we would be done. He said rarely did it take long, but to be safe they kindly would give us the monies for 12 months of what our payments to our present company were so we would continue to make those payments until it closed.

NEVER was it stated it had to sell to get out of our contract with our present company or l or we would continue to be responsible as we were told recently, unless we chose to pay DOUBLE both fees to this other company. Never were we told we had to PREPAY fees...so now after being mislead about monies yet again, we somehow agree because we did NOT know all the facts! NOT knowing we would be paying a deposit, PLUS prepaying fees to some company that now wanted us to pay them double OR we would be responsible for maintenance fees indefinitely until the shares sold. According to the BBB we find out most don't sell and many people are stuck owing on them for years. That company who is in business with Vida just lists it after taking your monies and runs with it.

They are linked to many names with the BBB as well and when I questioned them about it and more I got a phone call rather than a email response. WHY? Because they didn't want anything in writing of course. I told them I wanted response by email numerous times. Finally I got one saying he had never been asked those questions. Questions like: Are you associated with Sell My Timeshare Now? What is your business address? Why are we being asked to pay a prepayment on our timeshare before it closes escrow? *We asked this since the offer they gave us to get out of paying any future maintenance fees was to pay double the original price and we would get the proceeds of the sale when it sold. I asked if this would effect our dealings with Vida and was assured no it was done all the time since it was the smartest money wise to do.

Pay the additional to not owe anything and once sold make money back to cover the cost of what we had invested. He went on to say how these sold all the time and people are always looking for timeshares to buy with them since they know where to post the ads. I mentioned my husband said nothing sells and that he saw numerous complaints. Again assured that my husband did not have access to the special postings and they sold all the time. We would be looking at around $34,000 maybe. I was happy if we got $10,000 I thought in my head but still concerned at so much upfront as we were not expecting this from the conversations with Vida. *Vida assured us it was easy and once all paperwork was finalized...sometimes that took up to a year...it would be done. We would not owe anymore with our current timeshare company and we would be with a company that cared and was easy to work with.

A company that had strength for us to get early bookings. A company that had customer service who would personally be there through it all. WE FELL FOR IT...hook, line and sinker. We had been there for hours...and after hours of pressure tactics, we signed. We even booked our next vacation tentatively since we were told how easy it was to change and why not try it to test how easy it was to book. I liked the idea of them proving they could book us easily, but said my schedule was crazy and could very easily need to change it. NO PROBLEM! That's why I had their number and email I was told. I stressed how busy I was and preferred emails. No problem yet again I was assured. LIES! LIES! LIES! I have tried canceling and rescheduling our trip multiple times via email only to be told MY email was not on file.

Funny it's in part of the documentation that took weeks for us to receive from them, even though they assured us they would send it within 2. (Another way of making sure we didn't know we had only 5 days to get out of contract...they mail your paperwork weeks after and email you unsigned copies that are so tiny you can't even read them once printed. I still have not located where it claims to say 5 days either.) They requested I send them a photo ID such as my CDL or passport...this made me uneasy as this was through email, and a signed note saying they could communicate via this supposedly NEW email address. Here is the reply I got:

'Thank you for contacting your Customer Care Center by email. Please be advised that the email address that you have used is not recorded on your membership in our system. For security purposes and the privacy and confidentiality of your membership, we will not disclose any information in writing to a non-registered email address. We request that you kindly contact your Customer Care Center on any of the toll-free numbers listed below and once you have answered security questions designed to protect your membership, we will be happy to update your information and change or add this email address to your file. If you wish to proceed with your request via this unregistered email address, we will require a written and signed request and a copy of photo ID (one of the following: *Drivers license *Government ID *Passport).

You are welcome to send these documents as an attachment to this email and once received, we will update your membership accordingly. For immediate assistance you may resend your email through the email address that is recorded in our system. Thank you for understanding our security practices that are designed to protect our members. Sending sunshine from Mexico.' *I needed it canceled and had lost my voice being sick, so I complied. *Mind you MY email was listed originally but they messed up the original docs and had to reprint them...taking yet another 30+ minutes that day. I must have missed that they only had my husband's email on it the 2nd time, BUT it is in the paperwork with my handwriting that we filled out and they have copies of. *I sent them a copy of my CDL and a signed note.

I get back: 'Thank you for your response. Please be informed that in order for us to proceed, we need your signature to match the one on your ID. We request that you kindly contact your Customer Care Center, and once you have answered the security questions designed to protect your membership, we will be happy to update your information and change or add this email address to your file. Thank you for your understanding in this matter. If you should wish to proceed or require any other assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.'

*This being the 3rd or fourth attempt to cancel and supposedly my signature doesn't match their records or is it doesn't match my ID exactly, YET that same ID was used to secure this timeshare contract? My signature is exactly like what I signed ALL docs they have on file and the same ID they looked at the day we signed there. What records are they claiming do not match? It's my signature, so clearly it seems to me to be another stall tactic. I then text my husband as my voice was shot and told him he needed to request cancellation since it was his email on file. That I now wanted it in writing that it was canceled since I did not trust anything they said at this point. Where was the easy cancellation we were assured was available to everybody? He wrote them asking for it to be canceled. I got a phone call of which I did not answer since no voice and a voicemail asking me to call back.

I messaged my husband again who again emailed them saying he wanted it emailed back it was canceled and I would call them to reschedule once able to do so. That was yesterday and we have had no response. Upon further research I am horrified at the complaints all pointing to the same thing we wanted away from. Lack of ability to book...no more than 10 months to see availability...everything we were told was NOT the case. The fact that I cannot cancel a booking because for some reason they claim my signature does not match and they forgot to add my email even though it's on the documentation is atrocious. The lack of divulging that we may actually remain responsible for our current timeshare as well as the new one indefinitely and then lengthy stall tactics they do to avoid you from being able to get out of the contract in the first place have made us want out of this mess all together.

I wanted so badly for them to be a honest company that I was excited to share the Vida Ambassador Program with my family and friends. I had already bragged how wonderful this company was to many people upon our first week home, but promised them a voucher for a discounted visit once I got the paperwork from Vida. Now I am terrified that this is like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. With so many discrepancies and seemingly out and out lies I am not happy at all with this situation and want out. The lack of honest information is appalling. Had they simply been honest and given us the facts it would be different. We still cannot seem to get an honest answer in writing from either company and that is not acceptable. We want out! IF you are looking at this company BE AWARE. LOOK at everything first. DO NOT listen to what they say but look at ALL things in writing. What our rep wrote down, I grabbed some photos of.

He TOOK his papers with him. Now I know why. I would love for this to be a mistake and this company be honest, BUT so far I do not believe it. We want our deposit back and our contracts canceled. The fact we signed on the 23 of August, yet had no paperwork for weeks is not acceptable. We were emailed by our sales rep on the 29th, conveniently 6 days with some docs that were not legible and unsigned. This is all VERY fishy and makes doing business with them a problem.

Why else would they not divulge 5 days to break contract? Why else hide the fact you will be locked into your current timeshare unless it sells? Why is the company they sign you to turn over your timeshare to try to milk you for double the amount and be linked to numerous other companies, all of which had terrible ratings and reviews. A company who is shady in its dealings as well. This practice of conning vacationers has got to stop. Please help spread the warning!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Vida Vacations is a timeshare company that was founded in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico in 2010. The company offers real estate interests in 15 resorts in Mexico.

• Luxury destinations: Vida Vacations offers customers timeshares at some of the most luxurious resort destinations in Mexico.
  • Great employee treatment: The company is known for treating its employees well, and it has been called one of the Top 20 "Great Places to Work in Mexico" by the Mayan Times.
  • Concierge service: Vida Vacations offers its customers a global concierge surface to help travelers plan their travels across the world.
  • Trading opportunities: Customers who purchase timeshares from Vida also have the opportunity to visit destinations that are part of other vacation clubs.
  • Vacation amenities: Travelers who choose Vida Vacations Resorts have access to a huge range of resort amenities when they travel, including restaurants, bars, activities, entertainment and more.
  • Best for Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property and young professionals with disposable income.

Compare Timeshares