2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.62/5

Vida Vacations Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vida Vacations?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vida Vacations?

Original review: March 25, 2020

I've been an owner for a number of years. Vacation at Nuevo Vallarta annually for 2 weeks and bring along two other couples staying in a Luxxe loft. Last January (2020) we stayed for 1 month. Upgraded twice- from Mayan Palace to Grande Luxxe and then to the "Estates." I agree with other reviewers that sales meeting or "contract update" turning into a "sales meeting" can be lengthy.

My experience whether it was looking at options for an upgrade or contract brief to review contract particulars was in no way unbearable. I've had the same sales rep and his assistant and they know why I'm there (told them upfront) and when I'm ready to leave. I do allow them a short period to discuss any options they think I'm interested in and if not I leave. No dragging of feet or hard feelings. I don't waste their time and they don't waste mine.

What may be helpful is I talk to the sales rep or his assistant at least once prior to vacationing. Discussion is to let them know what I'm interested in talking to them about when onsite and also to discuss where we'll stay. Also when we arrive, during check-in, and the "greeter" sets a time to meet with sales staff I again make it known whether I expect a short meeting or longer one. Lastly, if you're comfortable with your contract there's no requirement to meet with the sales staff unless you want the breakfast and the discount on your bill. Bottomline if you go to a meeting let them know up front what you're looking for.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I joined Vidanta 7 years ago. I joined at the least expensive level, The Mayan Palace. Four years later, I upgraded to The Grand Mayan level. I agree with those who have commented that the sales staff is pushy, arrogant and intimidating. I’ve gone through it too, several times, buying only when I wanted to. I have no intentions of upgrading. My personal experience had a positive ending (at this point). We are here every year for 3 weeks in February. We have met others here who are now lifelong friends. We all return and have our Feb. reunion in the Mayan Riviera. We have dinners together, play cards at night, and truly love the life we’ve created that includes our time at Vidanta. We thoroughly enjoy the jungle areas and wildlife, totally different than Cancún or Playa del Carmen. It truly saddens me that Vidanta pushes people away. Without all of that sales junk, it is a lovely paradise on the Caribbean.

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I just came back from a vacation at Mayan Palace / Vidanta resorts in Puerto Vallarta. This was my first time there so this will be my initial review. I will post it again later after I get more experience with the whole setup. I went through the presentation which was very long six hours and I ended up buying into the club. I have been a timeshare owner for over 15 years so I know the ropes at timeshares. A couple of comments. After we bought we talked to 5 to 6 people who have been owners there for between 5 and 15 years. They all loved it. No one had a bad thing to say about the resort. Or the club. The rooms themselves are some the best accommodations we have ever been to and we travel quite a bit.

The sales presentation itself was long and painful just like every other timeshare presentation I have been to except for one thing. None of the salespeople were rude or aggressive just long-winded. Much better in that regard than other timeshare presentations. In the past we belonged to Interval International which I found to be relatively good but not perfect. I am curious how the new timeshare trading situation will work out with Vida Vacations. I will post more when I see it. One last thing – the Mayan Palace or the Grand Mayan are on the Vidanta compound. It is very very safe. Lots to do just staying at the compound. The beach is great and there are lots of pools. You could stay on the compound the whole week and have a great time especially with the family. Good luck. John Jan 2020

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I really enjoyed my vacation at Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta. The day and night housekeepers were just great, the concierge was awesome. The only issue I had was with the sales presentation that was supposed to be an owners update briefing. It turned out to be a really long day of constantly asking me to accept a deal and me constantly saying no way. The sales lady told me that she could not find my contract, all she had was a summary of the contract. I have my contract at home and said I don't want to change anything. I am so glad that I didn't agree to anything right then. She told me that I had wasted her time. REALLY, no way, I am on vacation yet she's at work.

When I got home, I reviewed my contract and found out that already have what she was offering me to buy. I am so glad that I got that presentation out of the way on my second day at the resort. I was so tired after the presentation that I couldn't do anything else but rest. I was exhausted. I think it's a system that they've perfected. It takes a while at check in to get to your room. You get an envelope and your wristband then told to wait about 30 to 40 minutes until your room is ready.

I waited about an hour. Once I got to my room, I had to call the bellman to get my bags delivered. I had a nice view of the pool and the ocean. If I had said no presentation would I have gotten that view? There is no need to use tactics on people who already have a membership because we like the property, so what if we don't want to upgrade or modify our contract. Let us vacation and enjoy our time there and maybe refer others who might want to visit also. Who wants to refer people to walk into the lions den of harassment.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I stayed at this resort and heard the timeshare pitch for over six hours. The resort itself is safe and very nice. The first problem was when I got there after paying $550 I was told I had to pay a resort fee of $630 to check in. What was I going to do since I was in Mexico and I’ve already spent a lot of money so I paid the $630. The deal they wanted to sell me was for a 10 year timeshare where I would pay $8000 plus $1200 for each week that I came down to the resort. Since the timeshare only lasted for 10 years that was like paying $800 upfront per year plus $1200 every time I came which would equal $2000 for the week. This was a very bad deal.

It was also very high pressure. I believe the check-in was around 5 PM so no matter when you get there they have you for a long period of time before you can check in. So they work hard to sell you the timeshare. Like most times your pictures you will hear from several people who will all tell you slightly different things. The contract was not at all what they told me. They never told me about it only being 10 years. But the contract stated that. I cancelled. And thank god I did. Don’t be sucked in. You have very little recourse if you sign the contract and pay money. They also tell you they will help you get out of your existing timeshares. This is also somewhat of a sham because that will cost you another two to $3000 to pay someone to pick up your timeshare and probably default on it. Who knows what your liability will be in this situation. Again the resort is fairly nice. I would suggest you spend the week. Enjoy yourself. Do not buy a timeshare and go home.

Original review: May 15, 2020

We have been Grand Mayan members for 14 years and it has been a mixed experience at best. On the plus side, the resorts are generally gorgeous and the staff are consistently friendly and helpful. We particularly like the Nuevo Vallarta/Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos properties....but the hassles. We dread checking in every time. We supposedly have 'A Profile' status which used to mean we could get an ocean view room and higher floor. No longer. It's a fight every time and often means moving rooms to get one. The 'members updates' (sales) are diabolical. We've had the flat-out deception, shouting matches, etc. and now avoid them like the plague.

One year we had a 2-week battle (at the resort) to resolve damages done to our rental car in valet parking. The Grand Mayan kitchens are generally outdated and under-equipped but are OK for snacks and light meals. Do check out the Mayan Palace property in Puerto Vallarta at the marina. It's a little gem. With so many good last-minute, all-inclusive, 5-star deals out there, we wish we had never succumbed to that first sales meeting! Caveat emptor.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I've been a member of Vida Vacations and Vida LifeStyle since 2015, we had just one vacation on Nueva Vallarta property in 2017, and I don't intend to use it again. Everything we have been promised has not materialized:

- Our copy of the contract was promised to be sent to our home address - never arrived. So, we ended up with a few forms and payment receipts instead.
    - When I called and asked, and when we arrived I asked again for a copy I was side-swept to other discussions with no full copy ever given.
    - We have been assured that our ownership entitled us to book either MP, GB, or GM. No way, booking was restricted to MP only and I was told that I would be able to upgrade on arrival - another lie!
    - During initial presentation, we have been shown the property with assurance that everything there was available for the owners except some high-end facilities up on the roof of the Grand Laxxe. The reality was way different - we were restricted to a single pool area and were stopped and checked for our intentions when we walked into other hotels' areas.
    - The initial sales process though lengthy was considerate and not intimidating. Another one, when we arrived for our vacation, despite all our assurances that we did not intend to "upgrade" our ownership and would like to save time to them and to ourselves, stole a whole day from our vacation, took 5 different people with 4 of them turning openly rude and hostile when the "sale" didn't materialize.

- Vida Style dollars is a myth: it is NOT treated as CASH and can be spent only as a partial payment for a limited number of grossly-overpriced options. The initial promise to deposit $4,500 with no expiration date in total resulted in $1,000 showing up and expiring in 6 months. I was able to reinstate a portion of it (took me a number of phone calls and long correspondence), the reinstatement showed up with 1 year period. The rep stated that she could do no better and I had to call them annually to re-instate the balance... I gave it up, and, when the membership bill came in, I just ignored it.

All in all, the experience left us with a bitter taste in our mouth and I would never ever recommend it to anyone I know.

Original review: March 16, 2020

I was finally able to log into my account and see what I received only to find out how much I was scammed and all was LIES!!!! I was promised weeks in Florida. The guy specifically listed some and I believed, only to see there’s not a SINGLE week for the $299/week I was promised in Florida. Only the premium weeks cover that which is not cheap and what I was promised AT ALL!!!! That’s how they got me in by these lies. This is all about lies and I didn’t receive what I was promised at all!! I specifically stated I travel to Florida and they said, "Sure. We have a lot there Marriott, Trump, Ritz Carlton etc. and all is for $299 a week," and there’s not a single one!!! I’m sure there’s more which I didn’t see yet. I have the conversation on recording and it’s hysterical to see how people can lie like this. I would like a refund immediately and move away from your company!!!!

Original review: March 10, 2020

In 2016, we purchased a one bedroom Mayan Palace (MP) timeshare at Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico location (absolutely stunning property but artificial environment) after a long high pressured presentation. From then until Feb 2020, we enjoyed our stays -preferring the MP in Puerto Vallarta due to ease of access to the marina shops and restaurants and local buses so we could go into central PV. We attended and listened to our annual breakfast contract reviews and upgrade attempts at the PV site which took 3-4 hours but were reasonably pleasant. NOT SO this year in February! We were whisked away to the Nuevo Vallarta property by cab and after breakfast and a quick viewing of what was happening at Vidanta, Nuevo Vallarta entered the pressure cooker discussions with a rude and assertive sales rep.

While we applaud the creativity and vision of the Vidanta Group, the tactics used to convince you to upgrade are disrespectful and deceitful! We were told that many MP rooms at the PV site were going to be converted to a higher level room so we would no longer be able to get rooms easily there with our current contract. So really this company is NOT honouring the contract they signed with us!!!! However, if we upgraded we would stand more chance of getting a time slot. Also with an upgrade, we were told we could book 12 months in advance. To sweeten the deal when it looked like we were going to walk away without upgrading, we were given significant monetary deposit to our Vida Lifestyle account so use for other travels (as we like to do). We were promised another significant addition when we returned in 2021. These two additions were supported by written documentation.

All Vida dollars were to be added without an expiry date to use them. We signed the paperwork and provided a deposit then finally returned back to our PV room 7 - 7 1/2 hours later. We read the details of the contract (43 pages) over the next couple of days - only to see much of what we were told was either not in the contract (eg. no expiry date of Vida dollars) or contradicted what we were verbally told (able to book room 12 months out - was either 4 or 6 months)! We tried to contact them to discuss these discrepancies but were not able to connect.

In the end, we decided to cancel our contract as we could not trust them. As per the contract, we had 5 working days to cancel so we notified them of the decision to cancel. As it was inside the timelines, the request was honoured and our deposit was refunded - so that is good. We have walked away from half of our initial contract but decided it best “to cut our losses” rather than continue to invest in them!

However, the experience left us with a feeling of disgust and distrust for this company and we wish to warn others! Do not go to the presentation- it simply is not worth the hours and aggravation. If you do go and purchase- make sure you read all the documents in the contract to ensure it confirms what you were lead to believe from the talks! If not, cancel within the time notes in the contract! We are relieved to have no further dealings with Vida Vacations but will continue to enjoy annual visits to PV!

Resolution response: March 10, 2020

My complaint got action. My concerns have been resolved. All the employees I have talked to were very patient and helpful. Now I hope to use my membership and timeshare purchase to its fullest. The Vida resort at Riviera Maya is truly wonderful and we would like to check out their sister resorts.

Original review: March 6, 2020

Beware: Vida Lifestyle dba: Our Vacation Center/Vacation Privileges/International Cruise and Excursion Gallery. Inc. We purchased a timeshare through Vida Vacations in June of 2019. It was a big mistake. Not only was it expensive but it came with many promises that have restrictions or cannot be fulfilled. The contracted timeshare we will continue to try and get something out of it but membership with Vida Lifestyle is a joke. Again, promises of great deals if you buy into the “Preferred” Membership $$. Yes, they are anxious to give you all sorts of vacation and merchandise deals and bonuses like extra weeks and Vida Dollars - if you pay more when you use them!

My original sales rep for Lifestyles was very pleasant and convincing. I don’t blame her; she’s only trying to do her job. Since my initial interaction, it has been hard to contact her or anyone else in the Company. Either I must wait on the phone for 20+ minutes, they don’t return calls or follow through on appointments to speak to management. The only way to communicate is by phone, your emails are blocked (or the ones listed don’t work), customer service will not give out management phone numbers or addresses or even a name.

One of my biggest complaints is that their membership promises that you can use your contracted weeks to access more than 10,000 unique resort properties in the world (they have a terrific directory.) When I tried to use a week to access the 59 resorts listed in Oregon and Washington, there was no “Availability” (I tried to access any week over the period of an entire year.) I could bank or exchange my weeks with SFX exchange company (you must be a member $ too), but even that has proven to be difficult if not impossible. Every exchange or banking has additional fees and you must pay your designated “deposit” up front. No guarantee that you will get what you want.

Since our purchase my family has gone through some difficult and expensive health and family issues. Vida and Vida Lifestyles were kind enough to offer monthly payments with no interest, but they will not cancel or take back the timeshare or membership. Why should they? I just feel so stupid and violated. I’ve lost sleep and having digestive problems. Well, it’s just thousands of dollars, what’s the big deal?

Vida Vacations author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

Vida Vacations is a timeshare company that was founded in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico in 2010. The company offers real estate interests in 15 resorts in Mexico.

• Luxury destinations: Vida Vacations offers customers timeshares at some of the most luxurious resort destinations in Mexico.

• Great employee treatment: The company is known for treating its employees well, and it has been called one of the Top 20 "Great Places to Work in Mexico" by the Mayan Times.

• Concierge service: Vida Vacations offers its customers a global concierge surface to help travelers plan their travels across the world.

• Trading opportunities: Customers who purchase timeshares from Vida also have the opportunity to visit destinations that are part of other vacation clubs.

• Vacation amenities: Travelers who choose Vida Vacations Resorts have access to a huge range of resort amenities when they travel, including restaurants, bars, activities, entertainment and more.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

Vida Vacations Company Information