Vida Vacations

Compare Timeshares

Research top Timeshares recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My boyfriend and I got talked into going to this 90 minute presentation which turned into a 4 hour ordeal. They were extremely pushy to get us to sign up after different people coming to our table to make different deals. We went from $45,000 with $2500 down to a total payment of $4,900. We said no to their "final" offer and the manager grabbed all the paperwork and walked out said, "Find your way out." While we were attempting to find our way out, my boyfriend asked one of the other managers if he could show us the way out and he was told to get the "** out" of his resort. The resort is nice but the customer service from management was poor. People have the right to say NO. Do not believe we will be returning to any of their resorts and will definitely will be advising our family and friends never to come here.

April 6th 2017. Unlike most of the reviews I skimmed through, we are owners (Timeshare) with Vidanta on the Riviera Maya. We traded our ownership in Westin for relief from the maintenance fees charged by Westin, that increased for 7 straight years since our purchase. We had never stayed on the Vidanta property, just visited when approached at Walmart in Cancun for the "opportunity". This year upon our arrival, we were introduced to an associate that offered a 1.5 hr update on the property and benefits in exchange for breakfast and 10% discount off our bill for anything charged while at the resort. We agreed, to a day we had nothing planned, but could change the date if something came up, but had to provide a $20us refundable deposit.

We arrived, introduced to a very personable associate that took us to breakfast, made a lot of small talk, even befriended us. Gave us the update we were looking for. Then the HOOK. Our account showed "active", which was troubling to her. She had someone else come by and told us they would investigate our file. More small talk while we waited and waited. We are at the hour mark by now. The active status meant that the property owned and sold on our behalf was worth more than typically exchanged for a timeshare. They wanted us to consider being a resident owner in an upgraded property that we were staying in. However, that was sold out as well as the upgrade to that one. So their top of the line Grand Luxxe was offered for more than we cared to invest.

Negotiations on selling part of that interest for us so we could afford it commenced. Teaching us how to use the Ambassador program to make money so we could afford it was offered. Another hour passed. The price ended up being around $7,000us. We were not interested in any further investment. The sales person left in a huff and sent someone else, who told us we needed to write up a reason why we did not want to take the worth of the property we sold to purchase a residence to absolve them from any liability, with whom I do not know. I did so, but he had more offers and negotiating to do, and it not so coincidentally came was around the same $7,000 offer as before, but this time we would get a credit card for $6,000 to offset much of the cost, only it could be used on their website but for just about anything.

I was already fed up talking to them, now in the third hour. He got mad when I insisted we were not interested and were ready to leave. He finally called on someone to check us out. This person introduced their self as working for the resort and asked how we had been treated. We told him, he apologized but said they were part of the sales team and it was their job. Why we ever were put with a sales team for an update was ridiculous to me, but calculated by them. This associate said he would help us "certify" our ownership to get it out of active status and be on our way. All was needed was my signature. As they are no longer offering timeshares but residences only, he had one of his associates explained "the situation" and could get us residence status for only $6000us. That was the last straw.

I said, "I wanted to think about it, how much time do have." April 15th is the deadline. They would check on me the 9th to confirm my interest. Hour four completed. No call on the 9th. We did not pursue, relieved, but irritated is an understatement of the way we felt. We loved our time on the resort, the staff throughout the whole experience other than the pitch were great. The Mayan Palace is showing a lot of wear, but the grounds were immaculate. Restaurants very good, just too few to get in at a reasonable time.

Do Not waste your holidays in a UPDATE MEETING with a sales person. The meetings always start with a beautiful brunch then off to the sales office you go with the 1st of many sales personnel. You are promised a 10% discount and all you have to do is sit in on a 90 Min review of your timeshare contract. This will turn into high-pressure sale pitches from many sales personnel. They also tell you that you only have to sit in on this meeting once a year.

This year we were in Nuevo Vallarta March 18 - April 1/2017. We are Grand Luxxe Residence owners. On the evening of March 25/17. I had a terrible fall landing on my back while walking in the hallway of our Tower 3 because of a large spill of water in the hallway. I went down to the main floor to file a incident report to the concierge and then had a Doctor come to my suite to examine me and had meds delivered to our suite at my cost. $80.00 USD for Dr visit and then another $87.00 USD for meds to be pickup and delivered to our suite.

I spend the next 3 days laying flat on my back in bed. The sales people were very pushy about having us go to a sales meeting. So on the Friday March 31/2017, my husband and I attended this meeting that lasted from 9:15 am- 4:30 pm. The whole time I was in great distress because of my back pain. Oh they promised us upgrades of Premier/Park/Ambassador status to compensate me for my hallway mishap, which they knew had happened because of the hallway security cameras, and the incident report I had filed, the report from the Doctor, and the fact that my last week of holidays was spent in bed. We as a family love going to this resort but hate the presentation meetings so in future will not attended any more of them. Be happy with your placement at this resort and enjoy the sun and holidays in the future.

Had I bothered to LOOK UP Vida Vacations BEFORE attending a presentation, I would never have attended. I originally booked our room through our RCI membership at the Mayan Palace golf resort for a one bedroom with a kitchen for our wedding anniversary. They placed us in a reduced sized hotel room with two full size beds. I immediately contacted the front desk, who informed me that I had to modify the reservation through RCI. I contacted RCI. It took about 6 hours to get it resolved.

We were contacted by the "RCI contact person" at the hotel and told that the only way they could upgrade us to a 1 bedroom with a kitchen is if we attended a 90 minute timeshare presentation. We hesitantly agreed, because we didn't want to be crammed into the compact (less than normal sized hotel room) room. (When my husband later checked his voicemail, which didn't come through until we returned to the US for some reason, RCI had left us a voicemail that day indicating that they had arranged for us to have the 1 bedroom we had reserved with a kitchen without having to attend a timeshare presentation.)

Not knowing that RCI had left us the voicemail, We attended the SIX HOUR timeshare presentation. We were told the following things that ended up NOT being true: 1. We could keep our RCI points we had already accrued, as long as we banked them with Vida. It was later explained to me that we had to relinquish our RCI points for the remainder of the year. 2. We would get THREE WEEKS, as opposed to our two weeks with RCI for $850/year. This actually turned out to be $850 PER WEEK used, or $2,550/year. 3. We believed we were getting ownership interest at the Grand Mayan, yet our paperwork said that we cannot use the Grand Mayan resort.

The contract stated our home resort as being in Nuevo Vallarta at the Crocodile Resort, instead of the Grand Mayan resort in Acapulco, despite the fact that I had told the sales lady that I have PTSD from having been chased (& almost caught) by an alligator as a child, so I would never plan on visiting that resort. We had already signed the contract & paid $1,000.00, so I contacted the Sales Rep to notify her that same day that we were intending to cancel the contract. (I had read online that in Mexico you have 5 days to cancel this type of contract.) She advised that I call Brenda ** to cancel. Brenda is in place to attempt to bully potential owners into remaining in their contracts. I couldn't leave a message, so I emailed the customer service email.

After not responding, I contacted the customer service telephone number of corporate headquarters to initiate a rescission of the contract. I also notified my credit card company that I was disputing the transaction. Only after doing that did Brenda email me back, then she contacted me and left a voicemail saying that HAD I waited and worked directly with HER, then she could've refunded my credit card within 5 business days, but because I went around her and contacted the credit card company, now I was going to have to wait 15 days to get my refund of my deposit. VIDA then charged an additional $4,000.00 on my credit card after I initiated the dispute!

VIDA then presented me with a document that they "Require the consumer to sign in order to cancel a contract." This document has a liquidated damages clause in it that states that in the event that you fail to remove any negative comments you've made online OR you at ANY TIME IN THE FUTURE post any negative comments about Vida Vacations online, that you are authorizing them to automatically charge your credit card the full amount of the contract price (or deposit, I would have to verify.) Either way, it's a large sum of money. I refused to sign it, because by LAW, you don't HAVE to sign it. Brenda continued to send me snarky emails and continued to play games with me regarding refunding my money back to my credit card.

It has been 25 days and VIDA STILL hasn't credited the $5,000.00 to my credit card, but has assured me that my contract with them in canceled. Brenda continued to email me after the 15th day stating that she had never been told that I had disputed the contract, that this was the first she was hearing about it and had I gone to her originally, she could've ensured a prompt refund of my deposit. I sent back her voicemail that she had left me two weeks prior stating the same thing. She continued to play games in getting my credit card charges reversed.

So... make sure you ask to see the contracts before you agree to anything. I won't elaborate on the financial aspects of the transaction, because they're just a business trying to get the highest price possible for a product/service they sell, so each consumer will pay a different price, but our sales rep was definitely NOT honest with us about the lowest price possible because we encountered many other couples who were offered the same room size for 1/10th of the allegedly "lowest price." But hey... that's timeshare sales for you!

Consumer Increased Rating!

We bought timeshare weeks at Mayan Palace in 2010 and have been paying maintenance fees every year. We turn over the week to Holiday Systems International who rents the week out and pays us back the maintenance fee minus a small admin fee. We have accepted the fact that we shouldn't have been talked into buying and have kissed the amount we paid for the contract.

Last week we were at Mayan Palace in Riviera Maya and were encouraged to go to a business meeting so they could explain how the business had changed etc. We refused but after thinking about it for a few days my husband started thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to learn what was going on with Vidanta and how it might impact our contract. Luckily, the only time slot available that late in the week was the morning of our departure. Breakfast for all 6 of us and late checkout plus the usual reduction in room expenses was promised and delivered. We made it very clear several times that we had to be on the road by noon. Then the fun and games began.

Yes we got an update on the business (Amazing!) and then the salesman started into a song and dance about how Vidanta is no longer in the timeshare business and is only selling fractional ownerships and for a paltry $567000 we could be the happy owners of 4 weeks in their Grand Luxxe collection. Yeah right - like that was going to happen. Amazing mathematical wizardry unfolded before our eyes showing us what fools we would be not to accept such a fabulous offer.

Once he finally got the message that no meant no, salesman 2 shows up. He explained to us how much we would be paying over the course of the next 25 years in annual maintenance fees and special assessment fees every 5 years. Well we pretty much get back the entire maintenance fee but special assessment fees? Never heard of them and certainly have never paid it. That fee is 2x the maintenance fee every 5 years and 5x the maintenance fee every 25 years - why had we not remembered that detail of the original contract and not been billed for it in 2015? Salesman #2 didn't believe us that we had never received an invoice for the special assessment fee. Of course he didn't have a copy of our contract and neither did we.

The next sales pitch starts - for $4200 we can rewrite our contract and not have to pay maintenance fees or special assessment fees. We only have to pay when we want to stay at Mayan Palace or one of the sister resorts. Seems like a deal especially in light of the huge special assessment fees we have to pay over the next 25 years so we agreed to the rewrite. But we are now at 11:15 and we still have to pack and checkout so we can be on the road by noon and there isn't time to have a contract written up so they agree to email us a contract on the next business day when we are at home but we need to make a 25% deposit and follow-up with the balance within 120 days. We will sign the contract later after a phone call from a business manager later in the week. Fair enough.

Now that I have the new contract and have examined it in the quiet of my own home and compared it to the original contract, I see that there really is no reason that we should enter into this new agreement. There are no special assessment fees mentioned in the original contract. The only additional fee is a renewal fee that is payable every 10 years but that applies to both the old and the new contract and is the same amount in both. So now I come to my question, we won't sign this new contract so will we automatically have the 25% deposit refunded? What should I do proactively to ensure it is returned? I will contact the credit card company to start a dispute claim but is there anything else you advise?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vida Vacations?

Beware of this companies Timeshare presentation! So very, very pushy. While in Puerto Vallarta we were approached by a gentleman and promised many gifts for an hour of our time. Ended up lasting 7 hours!! Lost the entire last day of our vacation. There was no way to escape. The place is far from a main road. Just say NO!!

Vidanta, or Vida Vacations, (They have changed their name many times over the years) is a complete joke. A multi-billion dollar company that is funded by drug cartels, as a way to launder money in Mexico. They currently have 7 locations in Mexico, and bribe people to sell them timeshares, (oh, my apologies, they are now calling it "Private Residence Memberships" now). They have people at the airport lie to you about what you're going to get for gifts, if you attend a "1 hour presentation" - The first of MANY lies! After that, they bring you to what can only be described as very visually appealing properties. They hire Americans and Canadians, (most who are ex convicts and couldn't make it at a career or an honest job in the States or Canada) to take you on a sales presentation, where they essentially try the ENTIRE TIME to LIE, CHEAT, AND STEAL YOUR MONEY. It's really as simple and indifferent as that.

They make ALL THE FALSE PROMISES IN THE WORLD REGARDING THEIR PROGRAMS, which include, (but is not limited to) world-wide travel options, multiple weeks, "no hidden fees" and only a 1 time fee you have to pay. Little do you know, (IF YOU'RE THAT DUMB TO AGREE TO IT) that it's a 30+ page contract, with more fine print than you'll ever take the time to actually read, (cause it legal jargon) that simply states this: Vidanta aka Vida Vacations has you by the balls, and you can't do ** about it because of international laws. Oh, they also make you do a virtual recording that you agree to all the parts of the contract.

They really cover their a$$, so that yours if left wide open. Agreeing to buying anything here is something I promise you will regret. I know more about them, than any of their clients. They ever try bribing you with promises to experience Cirque Du Soleil, and worldwide travel options. All complete and utter B.S. If you actually know what you're signing up for! They training people to lie, cheat, and steal from you - that says it all! Do yourself a favor; book your vacation online and tell these con-artists to go ** themselves.

I don't know what to add after reading these reviews because they all match up exactly with our very **/Negative experience. First off: when you get out of the baggage claim area - IGNORE EVERYONE that tries to offer you "help" - no rides, no hotels, no nothing - JUST IGNORE THEM - they are ** unethical POS scum suckers. Watch out for someone named Angel (got his pos email address: feel free to tell him what a scum sucker he is - he's the worst. Angel's email: **). I just emailed him and if it bounces I'll delete this part of my review. Vida free breakfast? WTF. First off we didn't even get a breakfast alone - right off the bat a "salesperson" Marcia forced her way into having breakfast with us. And she was scoping us out and trying to become "friends" so she could sells us something 3 hours later.

BTW, we were promised no more than 1 hour of our time - that's **- We started at 0900 hours and finally got out of that ** at 1648 hours. That's nearly 8 hours of high pressure sales tactics. I wish I could share pics because I have some of the people at Vida that tried to scam us. Marcia, Jeff, Luke, and some fatty couldn't get his name. It was almost comical at the end. They went from offering us this bs at $79k USD, then it went to $39k, then $21k, then $15k, then when we thought they finally gave up on us and was in the process of "checking us out" - it then went to $5700 THEN (yes, wait there's more) to $2000... all the way down to $1300. At that price if figured it was worth it UNTIL they refused to update the contract to reflect their VERY VERBAL promises about 50 additional weeks to stay anywhere we wanted - but they refused to confirm these would NEVER expire.

Contract person LUKE (** thin guy) then started saying (reverse psychology) - "then maybe you shouldn't sign it... I wouldn't if you don't trust us..." HA - we went around and around for about 3 mins - then all of a sudden he grabbed all the UNSIGNED paperwork and walked out. Then I told the other guy how rude and unprofessional that was and his (fatty) reply was "well you just wasted an hour and a half of my time." I said you guys are bs and you wasted 8 hours of ours. I actually showed fatty these reviews here and he said how can that be they must be fake because they have over 400,000 (yes, 400,000) very happy customers.

BTW, they charged my CC but it's only pending and I NEVER SIGNED anything. But the key is they said it's not a timeshare - it's a "private residence club".

Guess what. The charge is on my CC under description? It says "timeshare" Hahahahaha. I already emailed my CC company to tell them this is not an authorized charge/I never signed anything. We also found out the "discounted" prices of massages and a cat sailing trip was actually supposed to be free - so Angel (above) cheated us out of $180. That's cool though - it's only $180 instead of $79K or $39K or whatever. I'm going to post some pics of people - hopefully you'll never see them because if you do that means you fell for this pos scam. Like my better half says - if it's too good to be true then it is... Thank GOD we never signed **. They should all burn in Hell.

It all started when I first walked with Jane my wife to that big resorts. We was a little bit lost at the beginning but amazed at the same time. We gave our information and then we met one of the managers that told us what are we doing today and then introduced us to the representative which is a very nice guy who took us for breakfast, showed us around, and explained how the program works. We loved the rooms and flexibility of the membership which is very different from timeshare. And we signed in to the grand collection. We're very happy for what we did and we read all the contract when we went back to the resort where we are staying. And we just contacted them to make the reservation for our next trip in August. Amazing property, very kind people, and very nice treatment. The only thing that we didn't like is that they pushed a little bit on us to do it but if they didn't we would've miss such a great opportunity.

I add to the history that I wish I had read before I fell for the scam. 4 years ago I was convinced to buy at Grand Mayan Riviera Maya. According to the hype, I would be able to get rentals every year from Global Golf Connections. All I have is debt and regret! Global Golf never rented anything and I would call regularly. They stated that they were going through last years inventory but that soon I would see money coming in. They have since sold the business to Latitude 21 and they are in the same boat. I am a single mom that was tricked to believe the lie and now I am stuck. I post so that maybe I can save someone from the same mistake I made. Don't trust.

My wife and I were on vacation in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, and stayed at The Grand Mayan. We went to a timeshare presentation. Unfortunately I fell for it and I am very sorry that I attend to their 90 minutes presentation, which turned out to be more like 5 hours of high pressure selling strategy they use to sell one of their units. We paid them 6500 and our relatives paid them 5500. When we were to return to the States we were supposed to send a wire for an additional 2500. We were desperate for help once we arrived home from Mexico and found out we had been scammed.

One day, my wife found the services of Mexican Timeshare Solutions online while trying to find someone who would rent our Grand Mayan weeks. We were tired of having to keep paying the monthly maintenance fee as it was like throwing good money after bad. The process took about 6 months but my timeshare contract is cancelled. I did verify the cancellation directly with the resort before submitting payment to Mexican Timeshare Solutions. Fortunately we are free from this contract. DO NOT ATTEND ANY PRESENTATIONS AT THE GRAND MAYAN, MAYAN PALACE OR ANY RESORTS OWNED BY VIDANTA/VIDA VACATIONS. Their sole purpose is to run timeshare/vacation package scams.

Okay, I will start by saying ditto to everything negative that has been said here. We were guest for a week with friends that have been long time Vilata members. We stayed in the Grand Luxxe IV tower in Puerto Vallarta and it is truly a Paradise. Everything was perfect from the weather to the wonderful staff who would always greet us with a big smile - putting their hand to their heart with a compassionate welcome, it doesn't get any better than that. The views, the beaches, the turtles and the constant maintenance and manicure to the beautiful landscape. Our friends have been there many times and were great at taking us on tour of the town and countryside. Even as we traveled away for the resort we never felt threatened or encountered any negativity. It was a wonderful vacation. That was the good, now for the bad.

Our friends warned us in detail of the time we would spend with the salesman (Rod). But for doing it we received four free massages, and they too were wonderful. We started with a great (free) buffet breakfast after which the fun began. It's very similar to those mentioned here. We ended up talking to I think (I honestly lost count) 7 different salesmen for 5 plus hours. The offer started at $45,000 and after saying no many times they were down to an offer of $2000 including 2 free round trip airfare tickets including one week at the resort. My wife and I were both overloaded on the number game they played making it very overwhelming. But we endured and walked away. The result was having experienced one of the best vacation we have ever had. The bottom line is just say NO! Sometimes not easy to do, they are so good at what they do.

Once through customs at the Cancun airport there is an area that you walk through that is nothing but people approaching you about timeshares! There should be a warning about this because they look and act like they are going to help you find your transportation! The first person we were led to, we told them "No, we already have a timeshare." He said..."I shouldn't tell you this but you should talk to this guy next to him, who represented this one." He asked us why we weren't using it and we explained, we inherited it and have never been able to use it. After offering a free breakfast, 2 bottles of alcohol, a day at X-crete and promised nothing more than just that and a tour of the property so next time we would come back and use it. He would PERSONALLY pick us up at our hotel! BTW his name was JOHNNY!

The morning came for Johnny to pick us up and it was a different guy. We drove 40 min to this resort. Pull up to a huge group of people waiting. They come and get my husband and I right away take us ahead of everyone, to another van waiting to drive just a little ways up the hill (the van was packed full of people). They take us up to the entrance. Nobody says a thing. Just follows through around to the pool. We are thinking maybe breakfast? NO!!! We turn right there is a huge area with lots of counter space. They want us to give them all of our info on our timeshare and flash our credit card. My husband said "No. I'm not showing you my credit card" and the guy was nasty.

Immediately another guy showed up, we told them "This is not what we came here for or what we were told about." They try and make you feel like it is and it's your fault. Ended up being 2 guys coming over to us. They took us over by the pool and lobby. As soon as we were away from the other people. It got nasty. I finally told them "I didn't care about anything free and I could pay my own way back to my resort so where do I get a taxi?" At that point he said "Oh no we will get you back" and escorted us back down to where the first van dropped us off. I said "I better get back to my resort and not end up in the middle of nowhere!" He said "I assure you... you will." I have to say I was a little scared! Never again will I do that!

Wow, I wish I had looked at these reviews before we went to the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta. We went with friends on November 13, 2016. Between our friends and us we own 4 timeshares which we are quite happy with. We met with a nice young man from Calgary, our 1st salesman. We had a nice breakfast and went for a nice tour of the rooms. Then the games began. We told him "no" many times. By now it's lunchtime and they are bringing sandwiches and we are tag-teamed by about 3 more MANAGERS. We continue saying "no" and now it's about 4 pm. Tom now loses the nice appeal when he points and shows us where to go get our prizes.

Now we meet with Oscar. We tell him we want to go and get beer - we've had enough! Out comes the beer. Now he telling us he has a foreclosure deal that is too good to pass up. We can pay $7566 and then we will use this credit to pay for the vacations that we book. He even gives us his cell number to call. Not sure why but we fell for it. We even gave him a Canadian shirt, he was so nice.

So now we go to book a trip and find out that we have nothing but access to a timeshare we already had. So we try to call and straighten out the mistake... Haha. Finally got through and spoke with the lawyer who said we did not have what I explained. I told him we already had 4 timeshare between us so there is no way we would buy another one. He said he would look into it and call me back. Have not hear a thing. Now I cannot even get through. They must have my number blocked. What a load of crap. We work hard all our life and get ripped off by these guys. They were so nice to our faces telling lies the whole time. I will never go to a time share again!! Now I just want to get my money back.

I too like everyone else was talked into going to a presentation at the Nuevo Vallarta Vidanta resort that was only to be 2 hours. I am a female and was all alone which made my situation even more frightening. The rep was held at the first security entrance and I was then subsequently sent by myself to the resort. Upon arrival I was asked if I had any plans or needed to be anywhere else later and I clearly relayed that "yes" I did which that too was completely ignored. After the presentation and short video that's when 7 hours of relentless pressure selling by "5" different men started. I consistently said no and asked over and over and over to leave. They kept telling me that they would get "sign out" papers but would have me sit for long periods of time just have another salesman to try break me then again lower the purchase price.

This all takes place away from the point of check in so beside the fact that the resort is not publicly accessible and away from the main roadways you must be shuttled back, so walking away is not a option. When I was finally shuttled back to the main building I thought I was finally free. Again I was told they would get me signed out, only to have the 5th salesman come. Again the purchase price was lowered. At this point I realized that I might have to buy my way out. I remembered being told that "I could cancel the contract within 5 days".

After hours and hours I was mentally and physically exhausted. (After reading all the other reviews this is a normal process for Vida vacations sales people.) I just really really wanted to leave so I finally agreed, under duress, to purchase. I felt like I was being held prisoner. The paperwork was prepared and it was then upon really reading the fine print that I discovered that yes, you can cancel the contract. But you would have to pay a $99 membership cancellation fee and you would LOSE any DOWN PAYMENT.

There was no way, even now, that I would ever return to that resort, even if I was paid to! So I physically wrote void on the contracts and demanded to leave. I kept the financial credit card document to ensure that my card was not charged. The salesman was angry and told the lady to "get her out of here". I was finally free! The two gifts that had been offered were very insignificant but nonetheless, I never did receive them. I contacted Vidanta's customer care to relay this and complain giving them a chance to amend somehow but just like my continuing "no's" and plea to leave was ignored so was my complaints. Whether it is your family or friends, please tell them to NEVER go to a presentation. It's not worth a tormented destroyed vacation day.

Reading the reviews I feel lucky that we escaped without any problems... I was approached in a shopping mall by a rep with great incentives. I thought it would be interesting to see another resort. The resort is beautiful but the sales pitch is relentless. We said no to the first salesman, no to the second and then we were asked to wait. We decided we had waited long enough and got up which they quickly took control and had us sit while they "retrieved our gifts" only to be handled by another sales rep.

She said she would be five minutes showing us another cheaper timeshare, which we told her we were not interested. She continued on with her sales pitch. We told her that her five minutes were up and we were done. She threatened to not give us our gifts. She left frustrated. We got up again and again we were quickly moved to another area which we demanded to leave. We were lucky that we escaped without spending any money. The only thing we lost was precious vacation time.

I own 8 timeshares in Mexico and Austria, including a Membership at Vidanta Resorts. I checked-in at the Grand Mayan Jungle on Riviera Maya on December 10th, after spending a week at Villa del Palmar Cancun and a second week at the Royal Haciendas. Immediately after check-in, I was approached by a Concierge and told I must go to a "members' update", as there were many changes at the resort. In early October I had sent an email to Vidanta Resorts requesting a brief meeting so my membership benefits could be explained. I thought this "members' update" was in response to my email.

I showed up at the agreed time, and shortly thereafter I was introduced to the Vida Vacations staff, and assigned to one staff member, Max. We had a lovely breakfast buffet, followed by a few drinks. The 90 minutes on the appointment paper expanded to more than 7 hours. Clearly, this was a sales presentation from the beginning, as Max spent quite little time responding to my questions about my membership with Vida Vacations at the Grand Luxxe Residential Loft (which I had purchased 10 months earlier in Nuevo Vallarta). About 6 hours into the presentation, I finally agreed to purchase another timeshare for $27,440 (which included 4 timeshares which Vidanta would write off). I was given a written guarantee that Vidanta would buy back my new membership after 2 years, and I would receive at least 65% of the purchase price.

When one purchases at timeshare at a timeshare presentation in Mexico, you have 5 business days (excluding Sunday and Mexican holidays) to cancel the contract agreement. You may cancel your contract: by returning to the sales office and receiving a canceled receipt; or by mailing all documentation to the address provided in the contract (Vidanta's offices are located at Marina Vallarta in Puerto Vallarta).

I signed the contract on December 13th, which was a Tuesday. That evening I read all the documentation provided by the sales staff, including the contract. I was quite disturbed that I was only guaranteed a 65% return on my financial investment after 10 years. Why would I find a 35% devaluation on my investment to be acceptable? The 65% refund could only be used towards another Vidanta property (Mayan Properties), and it could not exceed 20% of the total purchase price.

I had told Max that I had already booked my attendance at Joya, the Cirque du Soleil dinner theater for Wednesday evening and that I would be spending the day relaxing at the resort prior to the show. One of my "prizes" was a tour of Tulum (which included a visit to a jewelry store and a (tequila tasting room & souvenir shop), prior to the bus trip to Tulum. Max was going to meet me Thursday after the bus trip and go into town for dinner. Friday, I was returning home. The purpose of the salesman's efforts to wine, dine, and provide activities after the sale is to show you a good time and control your activities. The salesman doesn't want you to have time to review the contract documents and return to the sales office to cancel the contract. If you do decide to return to the sales office, they have staff members who specialize in rescuing the deal.

I returned home 3 business days after the contract was signed. On the 4th business day (Saturday), I went a certified letter receipt requested to Vidanta's contact center at Marina Vallarta providing notification that I was canceling the contract agreement. I followed the matter up with an email to Vidanta, also on Saturday, December 17th. On Tuesday, December 27th a staff member of Vidanta Resorts left a voicemail message on my cell phone, asking if there was anything Vidanta could do to consummate the contract. I did not return their call. Clearly 7+ hours was not enough to satisfy a 90 minute attendance requirement. "No" never means "no" to these sales people. By sending the certified letter return receipt requested, I had met my contractual obligation to cancel the agreement. No further communication is necessary.

While in Nuevo Vallarta in February, I upgraded from a Grand Bliss membership to the Grand Luxxe Residential Loft (pre-construction). My membership includes: 2 weeks per year for 100 years in a Luxxe Loft; 1 week for 10 years in a Luxxe Loft; and 2 privilege weeks for 100 years. I believe the 10 weeks (1 week per year for 10 years) are what most Developers call bonus weeks (weeks owned by the Developer made available upon request by members who pay the maintenance fee). Developers need cash to finance construction. Payment of maintenance fees for bonus weeks provides additional cash for the Developer, until the unit is sold to a buyer. Privilege weeks basically works the same way.

Vidanta provides: an RCI membership (largest exchange company in the world); SFX Exchange; the Registry Collection (an elite exchange company), and Vida Vacations (discounted travel, tours, & marketing). Why would anyone need RCI, SFX Exchange, and the Registry Collection? It appears that one exchange company should be sufficient to meet anyone's needs. Multiple exchange memberships provides annual revenue to multiple exchange companies and brings new blood into the home resort (providing additional sales opportunities). However, these multiple exchange memberships provide limited additional benefits to the Member (the owner of the timeshare). Vidanta Resorts provides beautiful upscale vacation experiences. Unfortunately, their sales staff is too aggressive.

Will keep it short. Vidanta reps at airport promise you a bunch of "free" gifts. If you agree to get the car rental deal, you will get fleeced as you will later find out that the price you pay for rental is more than you were told. They hurry up everything, and make you sign a bunch of stuff. At the presentation, they try to force you to buy... If it is that great as they claim, then they shouldn't have to force... People should be running in to buy it, right? We said no to all, and finally a woman came who introduced herself as Ash from Australia, and she was downright rude when we said we didn't want to buy. She said in a very stern tone "So you just came for the free gifts?" We were like, no, the guy at the airport was persistent and pretty much talked us into attending, and she says "Did he put a gun to your head?" Wow...

First of all, there were no free gifts. They offered a deal at the airport which we later found was not a deal... so, we had paid for the "gifts" already, but even if they had been free or a great deal as they had claimed at the airport, this is what their claimed business model is, "We offer you free gifts in exchange for your time to listen to our **, and hope you fall for it". And hence Ash should not be upset that we said no.

Bottom line, this company is out to fleece people. We got cheated at the airport for the "free gifts" they offered, but thankfully we didn't fall for it big time as we said no at the presentation and got out... It was supposed to be 90 minutes, but I don't know which minutes they talk about, as we were there from 9 am to 1:30 pm... Take out 45 minutes for breakfast, and that is almost 4 hrs of BS we had to listen to. Do NOT accept their offer at the airport, and if you do fall for it at the airport, DO NOT buy at the presentation.

In our case, even the Hertz rep at the Cozumel airport counter gave us wrong information... He said the amount we were paying was US$ X (and wrote it on the contract, but of course, he wrote it with his pen and so it wasn't printed on it. What was printed was the peso amount, and their conversion rate was written on the Hertz counter wall, which looked official, but again, it's not on the contract). Later after coming back to US, I checked my credit card bill and see I was charged $16 above what the rep told me. Sucks that Hertz was not truthful.

Absolutely disgusting!! Totally took advantage of my parents!! Be very careful!! Don't even attend their "complimentary" anything. Nothing is complimentary, they scammed my parents out of $30,000, kept them until late into the evening and they eventually got sucked in. Lies after lies! They should be ashamed to take advantage of people.

As I read through the other complaints - they all sound so familiar! Tell anyone who mentions they are going to Cancun to be aware of this scam. They rope you in before you leave the building (must be government approved). They entice you with a great price for an activity you might want to do with your family at a very reduced price. You are promised a free buffet breakfast just to listen to the information and you have no obligation to buy. The people at the airport are very charming so don't be swayed! After you go through customs, keep your head down and just keep walking until you are out of the building. Give the appearance you know what you are doing and don't stop until you are outside!

Unfortunately we were unaware of this when we visited and were beaten down, promised a bill of goods that was just not true. Fortunate for them the wifi is so bad where we were in Mexico and at the resort we could not do adequate homework before we were sucked in. We said "No" so many times before we were given a deal that you couldn't pass up. If there is a class action lawsuit against this company I would gladly participate.

Manipulated immediately in the airport. Promised all kind of free gifts, airfare, free vacation to attend a breakfast and a tour. We were there from 9:00 am until 6:30 pm, no matter how many times we said no they continued to come back with a lower price and more benefits. To top it off they would credit us $37k and buy our Diamond resort timeshare. I even paid $400 for a title transfer to Global who supposedly handles these property transfers. Of course Global offered me additional benefits if I'd keep the Diamond property. I should have trusted my instincts, instead I was gullible and duped out of thousands of my hard earned money. Please don't fall victim to these thiefs.

Wow, that was close! After a really nice 4 days at the Grand Mayan, in a huge lovely suite, I was really buttered up and a perfect target for their expert team of sales vultures. I should have realized the minute I checked in, exhausted, hungry and vulnerable, and the front desk immediately hit me up for a presentation, to run away. But they know how to work you. Several phone calls reminding me, a free breakfast and a promise of a discount on the expenses from the hotel, I went along to an 'informative' meeting. Well, the promises were way too good to be true.

After 4 saleswomen tag teamed me, I was so beat down I started to sign contracts. They would get me out of my timeshare, hook me up with guaranteed weeks at a lush property, the price went from $68K to $8k to $6K. And I'd put $1850 on my Visa for a deposit... when suddenly reality struck: Get away FAST! It's a scam. So I said no. I said No over and over until I got the Visa cancelled. And I kept saying No till I got the hell out of there. So my advice about Vidanta Vida: just say NO.

Vida Vacations LIES. Please don't listen to their promises. Their timeshare sales pitch is great - if only it were true. We were promised: trade-in our other timeshare. They would pay us for the other timeshare. We would not be out any money. When we returned from vacation, we received a Bank of America credit card and a $10,000 charge. We never authorized an application for a credit card, let alone a charge. Save yourself potential out-of-pocket fees, and a whole lot of aggravation. DO NOT accept ANY type of deal they want to make.

My sister and I went to the presentation. They LIED and told us Vida dollars were dollar for dollar. We asked multiple times about this. Come to find out it isn't. You get maybe 20-35 dollars off a hotel room. It is a ripoff!

We said “No, no, no, we don't want to attend a presentation,” and they kept begging, playing on our sympathies, saying they had to meet their quota to be paid. We reluctantly agreed to attend and it was the mistake of a lifetime! After 8 hours of abuse starting at $159K to buy into their timeshare and ending at $8K (reduced benefits), we were basically told we were confused or stupid for not wanting to buy in. We were transferred to fill out a satisfaction survey but then they hit us up again.

After abuse from two more sales people, we agreed to buy in at $2K for 4 years of 1 week stays each at use rates of ($299, $499, $699 studio, one br, two br)... We fell prey due to suffering from exhaustion from 8 hours of abuse and just wanting to get out of the situation. When we read the contract back in our room, we saw the $299, $499, $699 rates they quoted were not actually in the contract. We went back and asked that the contract be rescinded (which they are required to do my Mexican law according to PROFECO). We are still waiting for the refund of what we paid. The whole thing is a fraud. Avoid Vidanta!!! It ruined what would have otherwise been a nice vacation.

Stopped in Puerto Vallarta to have a snack and drink and was approached by the hostess Carina about going to check out Vidanta. Said we would get a great breakfast and just a quick 60 minute presentation of the new Cirque du Soleil. Well this 60 minute presentation lasted from 9 am until 6 pm...a wasted vacation day. Their sales pitch started with a timeshare at Vidanta for $55,000. After many many talks telling them we were not interested we were finally escorted to a patio area where again another sales pitch but now the offer was $19,000. Again said no so then we were taken to the lobby area where yet ANOTHER SALES PITCH this time offering it for $8900.

I was totally against it but my husband signed and before I knew it they had opened up a B of A Card and charged the $8900. Sadly once we got back to our hotel I went online to read reviews and wished I had done this while waiting 6 hours in a room full of sales persons. Now we are desperately trying to find a way to cancel this contract...even though they tell you it's guaranteed you will get a 2 bedroom suite for $499 I'm now finding out every year the rate will go up. PLEASE IF I could just help one person not fall for their gimmicks like we did I will be happy. Of course they show you the nice clean smelling room but what you will end up with is a musty smelling room with worn out sofas.

Vida Vacations - Private Reserve Collection - I cannot believe I fell for the scam in Cancun at the Vidanta, Riviera Maya! After being there for a total of 6 hours and saying "NO" at least 50 times with multiple sales people harassing me, I bought into your Travel Collection Membership. I tried to cancel this today. I will be disputing with my credit card company. PLEASE BEWARE AND DO NOT FALL FOR THIS. KEEP SAYING NO!!! I WORK TOO HARD FOR MY MONEY TO BE SCAMMED!!!

They told us to deposit $2,740.00 to become a membership and that they will reimburse to our account and that we can use for anything that belong to Vida Vacations and also the booking fee for 1-2-3 bedroom will range from $299 to $999 depend on 1-2-3 bedroom. They didn't reimburse any money to us and when we call for booking they said 2 bedroom will cost us $1400. Horrible and lie company.

We visited Puerto Vallarta, Mexico recently and were trapped by Vida representatives in the airport. They promised us a nice experience the next day when visiting their new hotel, with a breakfast and at the end 4 tickets to visit an island. We were there at 9:00 AM hoping to start with the breakfast, but were said that breakfast will be giving after we listened their presentations. After 5 hours of tours and presentations and a lot of complains from our part, because we couldn't leave because the hotel is located in a remote part of town, we were yelled by the representatives if we leave we won't receive the tickets, for which we already have paid $100 (our share according the airport representative).

After some talks we were offered a nice packed, which seems attractive, but we reasoned, if we could trust them after all their lies and mistreatment. We left very disappointed. After two hours of our arrived, we beg them for a cup of coffee, even asked them to sell us the coffee, but they were adamant in their rule of don't given anything before we hear their presentation. You lost 4 possible customers for your untrained employees and a cup of coffee.

We were very naive and got sucked into the high pressured sales talk to buy a grand apartment in the Riviera Maya complex south of Cancun. In Cancun presages people approach you and offer a free breakfast and free transport to Vida resort about 30 minutes drive south of Cancun on the 307. A rep from the resort will show you around and offer you a fabulous breakfast. After which the sale pitch begins. They offer a deluxe a resort accommodation for $1000 per week which sound ok but you have to stump up $65000 but putting 35% down and paying the rest on monthly payments. That gives you... supposedly... which is lies... access to this for 100 years. We refused this and then they come up with a cheaper option. Again more lies.

They say some other guest upgraded so this 2 bedroom apartment was 30 thousand and gave you 3 weeks in the resort for the same $1000 USD. ALSO they promised that for each week at one of their 7 resorts could be exchanged for 4 weeks at almost any luxury hotels in the world thru RCI or ICI. But there is costs to join those organisations that Vida didn't disclose to us. Surprise surprise. They get you to sign many papers which is the contract. If you want to think about it overnight then Vida says it's only a one-time offer good for today only... which you assume is an offer too good to pass up... but if it's too good... then buyer beware. So my suggestion is DO NOT GET SUCKED IN.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Vida Vacations is a timeshare company that was founded in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico in 2010. The company offers real estate interests in 15 resorts in Mexico.

• Luxury destinations: Vida Vacations offers customers timeshares at some of the most luxurious resort destinations in Mexico.
  • Great employee treatment: The company is known for treating its employees well, and it has been called one of the Top 20 "Great Places to Work in Mexico" by the Mayan Times.
  • Concierge service: Vida Vacations offers its customers a global concierge surface to help travelers plan their travels across the world.
  • Trading opportunities: Customers who purchase timeshares from Vida also have the opportunity to visit destinations that are part of other vacation clubs.
  • Vacation amenities: Travelers who choose Vida Vacations Resorts have access to a huge range of resort amenities when they travel, including restaurants, bars, activities, entertainment and more.
  • Best for Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property and young professionals with disposable income.

Compare Timeshares