1.62/5

Discover a great timeshare now

154 Vida Vacations Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I will give them 1 star just because their cleaning staff and drivers are awesome, the hotel and facility are beautiful and super clean. On the other hand the first morning in the hotel some lady woke us up telling if we wanted a tour of the resort that included a free breakfast. We saw her that day to set up for the second morning we were there and I asked her if it was related at all to a timeshare presentation and she said absolutely not, it is just a tour of the resort and a free breakfast buffet. After the breakfast we spent about 1 hour walking around the resort.

When we were suppose to leave the SALESPERSON giving us the tour took us into a room that looked exactly like a timeshare sales floor. And every time we asked to leave they told us to wait for somebody else that would give us our sign out sheet. Once we hit noon AND LOST 1/2 A DAY I started to get upset and aggravated and they started to get rude and aggressive, the sales pitch that these people use need to be against the law. I came for a vacation to relax and not have to deal with these kind of people.

Just before they finally showed us the way out, BECAUSE WE DIDN'T KNOW THE WAY OUT, WE KEPT ASKING WHERE THE WAY OUT WAS WITH NO ANSWER, I FELT TAKEN. The people that showed us the way out asked us about our experience and when we told them how they brought us here with lies they laughed and tolds us how bad of a time we had, "You guys went through all of that for nothing, we usually give you a tour of ruins or passes to a park, but you are getting only 50% back on your resort fee".

It's been 2 weeks since we came back from the vacation and still no deposit back $300.00 and nothing on the resort fee $ 75.00. I called and only got transferred from person to person with nobody having answers for anything. I will go back to Cancun but definitely will stay away and everybody should STAY AWAY FROM VIDANTA RESORTS, they will lie to you any way they can to get a sale. They don't care for their customer at all, all they care is about making money. If you decide to go and they offer you anything make sure you get it in writing.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

10/17/18. We are members of Grand Mayan. We wanted to upgrade our membership. Went to meeting, negotiations took place. Salesperson told me to put my offer in writing. I did. Salesman assisted with making sure I had everything discussed. After a short time salesman came back and said, "Congratulations, they accepted your offer." My written offer was stamped approved and initialed. He came back with documents to sign and was not as was approved. 1 bedroom instead of 2 bedroom deluxe at Celebrate Club. All addendums as previous contract. 7 weeks- 2 red, 2 holiday. 4 international weeks.

When I questioned this I was told I was wrong. Then I presented a copy of my offer stamped approved. Then they started making ridiculous offers. I said I want what they approved. They said no, they could not do that. I asked for my credit card and ID back. Took over an hour to get my ID and credit card. Kept sending us to different places, finally I said, "If I do not get my credit card and ID back Now I am calling the police." It was finally returned. What can be done? It is the principle now. I want what was approved. I lost a whole day of vacation and got the runaround at the resort when I asked for the person in charge of sales. Never being given a name. Went to member services, Alex, and he handed us a form to fill out. Offered exact same deal as sales force. Also he already knew we were coming. Never acknowledging that we have an approved offer, saying that it would not be honored.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I have been a member since 2008 and bought into The Lux before it was even built with promises of an ocean view each time and convenient booking. The last 3 years the company has deteriorated to where I am ready to dump my membership. This last check in at The Lux - Oct 2018 was a nightmare. First they assigned building 4 - Level 1 golf sign. Well the view is nothing but overgrown trees. Prior to check you are referred you to hostess asking if you want to go to the presentation. But I decided NO. That is when it went downhill from there. They did not accept No-thank you - and the nos became repetitive to where after 45 minutes it replayed my check in. Then to add insult to injury they promised a room upgrade if I promised to go again to the presentation.

I responded, "What part of No do you not understand?" They are pushy - becoming rude when they do not get their own way. I am done, The last one in San Jose Cobo - at the end with the big hit guy came in - he called you stupid if you do not get this deal and your chances getting a reservation in the future will be slim. Will look for a way out to dump this timeshare. The person in the Nuovo-Lux that where just irritating was MIMI ** - Captain Lux team - along with her sidekick Bernardo. She just did not understand no-thank you. I spend my money and that is all I am interested in - period. They are not the only show in town for a week in Mexico. Many good deals on Travelocity.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

We are members of Vidanta Vacation Club. We have found it is everything presented to us during “sales pitch”. We have no problem getting the weeks we wish. We are Luxx Loft members. Right now there are only two Luxx Loft locations available. The next one will be down/up the beach from Grand Mayan, Los Cabos, and scheduled to open 2019/2020. This will be for Luxx Loft members only. Yes the food is expensive. Since it's only my wife and myself the cost is tolerable for excellent food. With children it would amount to a hefty food bill for a week's stay.

We have nothing but high praise for the staff taking care of you to include the housekeeping ladies, waiters, bartenders, etc. I totally agree the sales staff can be overbearing. If you do not want a sales presentation then say no at check-in AND MEAN IT no matter what you are offered to attend. If you do attend then when enough is enough excuse yourself and do not look back. Go enjoy your vacation. Do not allow yourself to be persuaded by anything. You are after all an adult. We have found you do get what you pay for on whatever level you have purchased.

Trying to be honest I will tell you that you cannot use the beach at the Los Cabos location due to the immediate drop off and the rip tide. Next do not stop at go exiting the airport. No matter how they hound you. Push right through them and contact a transportation attendant outside the doors. The people inside do not work for anyone but themselves. Disregard whatever they try and tell you. Again JUST SAY NO and keep walking. Good luck and do not let the one star reviews deter you from Vidanta. JUST SAY NO and do not fold.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Have had my Grand Mayan membership with ownership of 2-bedroom/2-bath units each bedroom with a KING SIZE BED. Bought Grand Mayan because we travel with couples, not children and did not like setup at Mayan Palace of king bed in one bedroom and 2 full size beds in other bedroom. Grand Mayan website advertises (and always has advertised) KING SIZE BED in each of the rooms in the 2-bedroom/2-bath units. Booked both of my 2-bedrooms units as owner 6 months before we were going (1st day and 1st hour that the dates were opened up.) Arrived in Puerto Vallarta expecting both of the units to be either next to each other or across the hall from each other. Instead they were in entirely different wings. Found each room only had 1-king size bed and 2-fulls instead of ALL KINGS.

Complained to concierge and manager and no one did anything. I had to refund $350/week for each of the couples traveling with us who expected a KING size bed for a total loss to me of $700. Then I get home and have a bill waiting for $1137 renovation fee. I have contacted Vidanta who says they want to show excellence in service and make owners happy, but after that no apology or offering to reduce the renovation fee for the bait and switch room I was given. Then to top it all off they put me in the building with construction. Owners who book 6 months in advance should be given the best rooms not the worst.

Got conned into the "owner update" which was to be a short presentation on the new "Park" and held hostage for 5 hours and told we would not be able to get the units we were used to in the future at the Grand Mayan unless we upgraded to a new more expensive contract and wanted to change us to a 1 bedroom Grande Luxxe instead of our 2-bedroom Grand Mayan for an additional $20K in taxes. Why the heck would I want to do that. Never had such a horrible experience at Vidanta in the past and now wondering how far downhill they are going and how badly we will be treated next vacation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vida Vacations?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

They are absolute masters at what they do. We lost 1 WHOLE day (8 hours) to this process, bought then we decided it wasn't for us. BTW they gave us drinks after we agreed to the process and THEN they brought out the complicated paperwork. Let's be real, I have a doctorate and this paperwork was dizzying. The process to get out of the contract also took 3.5 hours. We wanted out, the process took 4 people, and when push came to shove they now only wanted 8K for the best of the best Grand Luxxe. I WILL NEVER, EVER attend a sales presentation EVER again. This was absolutely AWFUL. I may never come here again.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Let's start by saying that The Grand Maya is breathtaking. Architecturally beautiful with fabulous pools. Most of the staff were very friendly and greeted you with their hand on their heart. When we arrived on the shuttle to the resort, we were a bit taken back when they take your luggage and place it in a cart with zip ties and locks. Groceries placed in plastic bins and also sealed and locked. We have traveled a lot and have never seen this. Unfortunately we experienced first hand the reason why.

We were escorted to our room by the bellboy who showed us around the unit and also showed us where the safe was. We did not realize that the safe in the room was not working and we failed to report it. On the fourth day of our stay, the CLEANING staff entered our room while we were out and they went into the drawers where we had placed not only our clothes but hidden our valuables (cash and passports). We left the room at 1 pm to go meet up with the rest of the family… we had lunch, and all returned at 4 pm. We noticed that during that 3-hour window the room had been cleaned (Confirmed by the concierge). We all showered and when we went to get dressed to go out for the evening, we noticed our clothes drawer had been disturbed. We immediately went to our passport folder to find that we had been robbed of $1750 cash!

We called the front desk, and they directed us to the concierge. The concierge for our building came to our room with the security staff member. They took pictures, searched our room and belongings (even under the bed) like if we were criminals or weren't sure where we had left our valuables. They confirmed that the safe was inoperable and told us they would send someone to repair it. They also told us that they would send someone to check the door lock reader (keyless entry) to see who had been in the room and they would get back to us. This is at approximately 6 pm.

You would think that at the first opportunity someone from management would contact us. NOPE, we had to go to the concierge again (the next morning) because that is where you are directed. You can’t directly talk to anyone in management, and NO ONE comes to you! Finally, the concierge supervisor came to tell us that one of their employees did enter our room in the time we were out of the room but are still conducting an investigation, and they would get back to us. They moved the current cleaning staff to another area in the hotel for precaution. Here we were two days later and because WE are the ones on top of concierge and calling the security supervisor and all they had to say to us is that they are investigating.

We feel that the SAFE was tampered with by the cleaning staff to gain access to our room and any valuables left behind. Please keep in mind that the hotel stresses that it is a CASHLESS resort. No need to travel with your wallet or money. (They do not accept cash.) We checked out of the resort as if nothing happened. No contact from anyone as we were promised. Three weeks later, we have yet to hear from anyone. We are not expecting the company to refund us the money but at least take some responsibility as well as be more compassionate and sympathetic over the problem. A heartfelt apology would have been enough!

We’ve reached out to them again when we returned home to find about the “investigation,” but no one has any answers or even acknowledge that this happened at their resort. We pray that the money that was stolen will be used to buy medicine for a sick child or elderly person or to put food on someone's table who needs it. If you are planning on staying at the Vidanta Grand Mayan Riviera, know that they have a security problem (which they do not acknowledge). Make sure your safe and door locks are working and make sure you secure all of your valuables. We’ve traveled all over the world and have never had anything like this happen to us.

Their website states “At Vidanta, we are about creating happiness. Over the last 40 plus years, we’ve carefully cultivated a collection of resorts where families from all over the world can come to spend time exploring, relaxing, and making memories together”. Unfortunately, we are not happy about the way the problem was handled, and we did not take away good memories.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I own two weeks at the Grand Mayan. When you buy at any of the Vidanta properties you can stay at any of their resorts. I believe each of the resorts offer 4-5 star quality and I have been to all of them. My most recent visit was to Nuevo Vallarta in 2018 and to Cabo San Jose in 2016 and before that Riviera Maya many times and Acapulco once. All of the resorts are gorgeous and offer all the amenities you could want in a resort, including pools, spas, golf course, shops, a variety of restaurants, helpful pleasant staff and more. So, what is the problem? It is their sales department. They are so pushy, rude, obnoxious and overbearing. They almost ruin the vacation.

I think the resort sells itself, but with their lying and cheating ways you get turned off and end up running away. I know the sales people are on commission and perhaps if they don’t make a sale they do not eat that night but the reality is they push more away than they sell to. Final analysis, just say no. Say it over and over again and forget owners' update which is another sales presentation wasting hours for 10% off and a free breakfast. It cannot possibly replace a day of vacation. Just say no.

Original review: July 22, 2018

We arrived to Cabo San Lucas airport and rented a car. At the car rental they lured us in with getting back $350 dollars back from car rental and dolphin swim voucher free and free breakfast if we attended Vidanta Resort 90 min presentation. We had to give $100.00 deposit. Upon arrival they again said it was a commitment to attend 90 mins and we would get gifts they were offered.

We had breakfast and once we started presentation they wanted to run the equity on our timeshares and we refused them running our information and they denied our gifts. They did false advertising and lied. The agreement was for us to attend the presentation and we would get our gifts and they denied based on them not able to run our information. After we refused to signed anything else they were rude and basically walked us out to outside so other people would not hear us complain. Do not ever attend their sales presentation or anything they offer, it is all a scam!!!

Original review: June 28, 2018

While vacationing in Cabo, I attended a Vida at the Mayan resort presentation. I was genuinely interested in obtaining information about their timeshares. My 1st warning sign was when I waited two hours for someone by the name of "Sandy" to transport me to a second location. I became concerned for my safety as Sandy and another male salesperson drove me over 20 miles away to a remote area with nothing but a temporary building on a cliff that overlooked the ocean. When I arrived, I decided that the drive in and of itself made the resort too far away from civilization and the Cabo experience, and therefore would not purchase. As I walked into the building, I realized that I was the only person besides the four sale reps. Again, I feared for my safety as I could not leave since the transportation van left. I continued to say "no thank you" for six grueling hours of being disrespected, being called a liar and being held against my will (again no van).

The final straw was when they inquired about my marital status and I refused to answer as it had no relevance to the situation. The main female, whose name I don't recall, stood up suddenly, walked away and came back moments later with my Facebook page displayed on her phone. I was so angry at that point that I demanded a return ride back to the original starting point. Back at the resort, I was abandoned with a dying cell phone, no taxi voucher and no money/gifts as promised. I ended up paying $40.00 for a taxi to be reunited with my family. This was one of the worst experiences of my life and should be illegal.

Original review: June 26, 2018

It's basically a new form of timeshare. They grab you at the Cancun Airport and promise you your deposit back, a bottle of tequila, a bag and $500 shopping card. I'm pretty strong with salespeople and I left not purchasing one thing. However, as I suspected, the $500 shopping card is a scam. I called as instructed and "Hank" said they have to put you in the system but it takes 30 to 45 days. Yeah, right. It's going in the trash. I did receive everything else after a lot of BS, so really I am only out of my time. Don't fall for it, unless you really want to spend $8000, and then when I was adamant, it when down to $4900. No thanks!

Original review: June 7, 2018

The salespeople at this resort company have a master’s degree in lying and will stop at nothing to get your money. The first time we visited their resort in Cabo in October of 2017, they kept us for hours with their hard sell tactics... we ended up buying an ownership just so we could get back to our children. The next trip we took was in March of 2018. We went to what we thought we purchased at their resort in Mexico's Riviera Maya. When we arrived, we were put in a building far away from the main building. We were told we didn't own the right membership to be in the closer buildings. We were approached by their salespeople at check-in and were signed up for a "tour" of the property. Well this was no tour - it was more hours and hours of up-sell.

About 6 hours later, we were badgered into paying more for what we were told we purchased the first time. After talking to many people, we found out that it is their sales tactics to keep up-selling every time you visit. When we returned home in March, I sent a letter (within the 5 days) to cancel our contract. They said they would let us out of the 2nd contract, but we're going to reinstate the original contract. I have told them several times that the original contract was cancelled when we signed the 2nd contract. I want out of all contracts and will not stop until I am released of everything.

Original review: May 17, 2018

After having a timeshare for a couple years with Vidanta group, my husband and I realized that it was a financial burden. The maintenance fees continue rising and each time it was a heavier financial burden. We had no complaint about the facilities because since we vacationed there without having a timeshare we liked them, but the fees kept going up and it was getting harder and harder to be able to book at the resort. It seems that once you become a member you cannot go on vacation anymore.

So, we look for the cancellation of the contract, it was difficult through the resort but on the internet, we found Mexican Timeshare Solutions through Facebook and we were calm when they told us that the consultation was free and nothing was pay in advance. Throughout the process the contact we had with them was very professional and empathetic. We were always kept informed and the best is that the problem ended favorably for us, the contract with Vidanta group was canceled as it was promised. We are grateful to had put our case in the hands of this company, so we do not hesitate to recommend them.

Original review: May 2, 2018

We are a married couple that vacations alone. We like Mexico and Cabo. We bought a timeshare from Vidanta and it's a bi-annual contract. So we get 2 weeks every other year. We can use both or we can use one, and roll the other one into the next year. Dues are paid only if we use it - EXCEPT every 5 years you pay double dues for improvements, blah, blah, blah. The tactics at the airport should be illegal. And the strong arm sales pitch they still use is outrageous, you have to act like an ** and get up and leave or they belittle and berate you for not purchasing more. And they say you "have" to attend an owners' orientation to hear about all their new stuff every stay - and afterwards.

We have a 25-per year contract, and it ends in 2031, we have used it about 4 times total. The resort is not convenient to get around in, way too many kids, and the food isn't great and is very pricey. If you are looking for a quiet place to relax, this is not it. But if you are going just for the sun, pool, beach, etc., - then it may be for you.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Arrived at the airport in Cancun for vacation at a resort of our choosing, we had pre-planned and pre-arranged our transportation. Several individuals who were dressed in manner appearing to be authorities, explained they were there to help direct us to our pre-planned transformation to our resort. We were introduce to another “official” who asked us about transportation. The individual asked us who was our transportation, we told who it was, he said we were at the right place. He then asked us where we were staying, Riu Palace Peninsula, he reacted negatively telling us the owners are from Spain and none of their money stays in Mexico.

He then informed us of a new place as 100% Mexican owned and in order to help his country in the future he has some special offers for us if we would agree to visit, Vidanta Rivera Maya, I specifically asked if this was a time share type of promotion. The official stated this was not a time share type of offer, that if we would visit the property, consider staying there in the future, take some pictures, then we would get discount of some of the tours we were interested. We agreed to the visit based upon the repeated assurances and promises by Jose **, that he would personally take us to the property. He offered us discount, 1/2 off two attractions, a bottle of tequila and a $500 gift card to Vacation Privileges. We were told, promises by Jose the visit would only take 45 minutes. We agreed to pay Jose the $100, our half of our selected tours, the transportation to and from the property was to be paid by the property.

By this time we missed our transportation and had to wait for the next shuttle. First thing the following morning we received a call from Jose apologizing that he was not going to be able to pick us us but he had arranged for someone else to take us. We take the approx one hour drive accoss town to the very nice, exclusive property. We were taken by multiple seat golf cart to the sign in area, we were then introduced and guided to the breakfast area by the first non time share representative, Yamin, she had breakfast with us, toured the property with us and then briefly explained this was not a time share but an opportunity, she made a presentation explaining if we paid $64,800 with $12,000 down payment we could become members.

When this was immediately rejected we were introduced, to her supervisor, he asked how everyone has treated us so far and was there anything he could do to change our minds, we said no but he proceeded to lower and reduced the price of the exact same package to $42,800. We again said no, we were then introduced to another person described as his boss. He reduced the price down to $15,000 and added some golf privileges. We again said no so we were thinking they had got the message no means no.

By this time we had invested 3-4 hours. We thought we were being taken to the transportation back to our resort but instead we were introduced to a lady who professed she worked for the “company”, the actual owners, and everyone else we had talked to prior worked for a marketing company. Since she worked directly for the owner she could make deals they were not able to do. She reduced the exact same deal from $15k to $9,000. We said no and we want to leave, she said okay and we were yet introduced to another person she described as her supervisor. He took a look at the deal and sweetened the deal to the same package now for $5,900 then $5,600 and then offered to increase the tier level for “free” and included two discounted cruises, he would pay for one, increased the number of weeks we would be involved by adding weeks up to 200.

With our daughter wanting to go on a cruise in a couple of months we gave the offer some consideration which lead the now company owner representatives to have us complete a credit app to see if we would qualify, they wanted us to complete two and submit both. We said only one. When they submitted it the information came back marked pending with a number to call for providing additional information. We were told it was a rejection and needed to submit to another one of their accredited lenders. Since this lender would charge interest they agreed to lower the purchase price to cover the interest. Come to find out we only needed $5,400 but they submitted for much higher for $10,000 and the second for $8,000. It was approved but thank God, by this time we smelled a rat, the unscrupulous acts, deception became clear.

We cancelled any further discussions and demanded they take no action to take our money. We did not sign any contract. We received a copy of the credit app marked void, contacted the first lender advising them we were no longer interest. We contacted the second lender confirming no payments to be made. The fake friendship, the fake kindness, the out right lies, deceptive tactics of the individuals we encountered became obvious. There is no telling how many thousands if not millions of dollars are spent training individuals to turn people into willing victims. As in our case we were mislead, were lied to repeatedly, the greed demonstrated, the character of the persons who employ tactics against people is concerning at best.

The individuals we encountered loved us and were our best friends until you say NO! Then their true character comes out and the greasy slimy side of their intentions are exposed. Did they keep their end by paying for half of the two tours we selected, yes and no, there were hidden charges, the tequila, not expecting Jose Cuervo, was given, the $500 gift card in the name of Vacation Privleges appears to be where you have to buy something to receive any benefit.

Now, this experience was horrible, we lost a whole day of our vacation because a company chooses to use methods to separate people from their hard earned money by any means at their disposal. They may choose to use quotes such as buyer beware to justify their actions but to me when you have to mislead, misrepresent and out right lie in order to “successfully” take peoples money then you are not a credible company or a group of people I would ever choose or recommend to have any relationship with. In all we had interactions with a total of eight people representing this company, we can say with certainty seven were misleading and or out right lied to us and were our best friends with the intent to convince us to trust them and give them money, until we said no and then we were treated with disrespect.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Told us we could get A when in fact you get B. maybe not even that much. $299 >>> $999.00 for elite Hotels for Diamond weeks. Ritz Carlton, Marriott, etc. Not happening. Told we could book our free week 1 yr. in advance, or change to the week that suits us, NO PROBLEM. YES PROBLEM. Vida dollars are basically worthless. If you don't use your free week within a yr, it's FINITO. We weren't told that one either. You can only book 150 days before travel. Aug. for Jan 2019. Good luck with that. Studios or 1 bedrooms are GONE. Long story short. Stay clear of these people.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My sister and I went on what we were told was a property tour for first time guests to better navigate the property on 04/07 @ Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta. After the tour they brought us back to this area. Brought us beer and told us to relax. After several hours passed, we asked to return to our vacation. Then individual after individual pounded us to purchase this membership.

Finally agreed to purchase, but asked that I wanted to review w/ my husband who wasn’t with on vacation. Said I could cancel if I came back before returning to US. I reviewed contract and reviews online & didn’t want to keep membership. Went back on 04/10. Was told I couldn’t cancel, refused refund. I mentioned Article 56 of Consumer protection law. Told me that applied only in US and too bad for me I was in Mexico, I originally paid $4500 & after over an hr of arguing they said they COULDN'T refund full amount, but modify my membership down to $1999.00. I was kept in a dark room and after starting to fear for my safety I agreed to sign new contract.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I was distracted at the airport by what I thought were Mexican greeters. They were just marketing agents for a company with zero ethics. I missed my bus as I listened to them talk of a new construction and an opportunity to meet Mexican locals and a traditional breakfast hosted by major credit cards. The ADO told me I had missed my trip to Valladolid and found myself almost in tears. That should have been the first sign. They then did take me to a breakfast and held me and my daughter hostage for over 8 hours.

It was wait on this person, switch to this person and then finally they have you held captive for so long that you will sign your life away for freedom. I got to the hotel and attempted to call the marketing reps Mario and he told me I would not be able to go in person to cancel a membership or any other funds. Please be aware and don't even listen to these predators. They specifically target women, single women and outline this in the class pitch. It's bizarre.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I first encountered Vidante in Cabo on my 50th birthday. We were going to stay at a different resort. As we were renting a car in Cabo, did not know that Vidante was attached to rental car company, we were told to watch a presentation and get our car and insurance for free. We went to the presentation. What a disaster. First of all they were great, good to talk to, and the product looked good and the price of 16000 was okay. We bought in. And then we had buyers remorse. And we found out that if we used a certain company Profeco, they had to return our money. So we went back and asked for our money. They immediately brought the price down from 16000 to 8000. And when we said no they pulled out the top guns.

He found out I was a member of AA and used that to close the deal. He was so good I walked out of there thinking I had just got away with only paying 3800.00 for a developer deal. This meant I could use the Mayan Palace for one week complimentary and 5 weeks at 800.00 per week. What a scam! I used the week in Riviera Maya. The sales staff there told me they were no longer using high pressure tactics and no longer using the same developer weeks that they were. That was all a lie. I talked to several people that got the same developer week they just talked about discontinuing.

You are profiled. They know all about you before you get there. They target you and your income. They are experts at scamming people. Do not kid yourself as I did thinking I was getting off lucky not having to pay huge amounts of money. ANY money they get is way too much. And they do it in the most polite way. I have other time shares, I will simply use them. My hope is that this review helps another person not buy into Vidante, they are most gracious crooks you will ever meet, but do not be fooled, it is all a sham.

Original review: March 13, 2018

My wife and I travel a lot, and we joined Vidanta / Vida Vacations quite a while back. The service is 5 star and the food and resort are the best. We have stayed at several other resorts and nothing compares to Vida Vacations. If you are looking for top notch locations, visit a Vidanta location in Mexico and you will not be disappointed. We are super happy with our membership and plan to pass down to our children.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I was vacationing in Riviera Maya at the Mayan Palace in the Vidanta Resort. We were asked to attend the "one hour" presentation after receiving a free breakfast. We were attracted to the amenities and the quality of the resort and all the staff, so this presentation was of interest. The problem is they took 5 1/2 hours of our day since they "wear you down" with their constant smooth-talking, fast paced sales pitch. After cooler heads prevailed, we decided that, although it was a tempting offer to get out of our current timeshare, it just didn't fit our budget and it also was promising more weeks vacation than we could use at this stage of our lives. The next day we made an appointment to cancel the agreement and it took another 4 hours of sales-pitch for us to actually get the credit on our charge cards.

The price dropped in half from their "Premium - all inclusive program" plus the amount they were crediting for our current timeshare. By the time we finally received the receipt for a refund, that price dropped another 4 times. My suggestion to the Vidanta Corporation is this... Give the talk, show the value and 5-star quality amenities...then let your "guests" go after the one hour you promised it would take out of their vacation, and give the very lowest price (what the obvious value is otherwise we would have never been offered that price)...tell people that there is NO NEGOTIATION, let them think about it and sign them when they feel it works for them.

I would have far more respect for the company if they did it that way. After showing the cost of $168,000 and ending up under $15,000 - it looks very SHADY. Stop the high pressure sleazy sales tactics and SELL the benefits your amazing resorts and what owner membership in your properties avails people. Don't get caught up in the nightmare program that the timeshare corporations have created. You say you are different than a timeshare - so sell it that way. The low customer service rating is based on the "membership sales pitch" and not the review of service we received at the resort. The resort is amazing, a place we would love to return to. Don't attend the sales program whether they give you breakfast or cash until they change their sales strategy to where customers in this new millennium are treated honestly and professionally, and that their vacation time is precious.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

[This is my story of how I got involved in the Vidanta 90 min presentation]. It really all starts at the airport (Cancun). When you are walking out to ground transportation, people will offer you maps and free tourist information. Don't even look at these people, they suck you in. I know the signs say tourist information. They aren't there to help, they are there to make money. So get out of the airport! Informed travelers don't go on vacation before finding out what they want to see or do, anyway. So don't bother with these people.

Next, the car rental for those of you thrill seekers wanting to drive around. Yes, it's nice to have the convenience of having a car but it comes with some painful side effects. First, they want you to get the full insurance. The rental of a compact may be $35 USD or less per week, but the full coverage insurance will be that, at least, daily. If you have a credit card that you trust, see if it has coverage for CDW or coverage for the car, then you may only need liability insurance which is still about 20$/day. That is the minimum coverage you must carry. And forbid you get stopped by the local police. 90% of the time you will pay something. Just depends how good of a negotiator you are. Police in Mexico seldom and I mean very seldom let you off on a warning. And almost always you will pay a bribe.

So, now back to the sharks, when you go out to the pick up area with contract in hand, there will be a very nice person, not employee of the rental agency though, guiding you with a map of the city and directions to getting on the road. It seems like they work for the agency as customer care, but no. I don't know how these people are allowed by the agencies to prey on people. This person is so nice, harmless right, wrong! This person will then ask about your activities and then she or he will offer free tickets or reduced tickets to some theme park.

So then you ask, "How do I get these great tickets?" and the answer they will give you is that you only need to go to a 90 minute presentation with breakfast included. Wow, that seems unreal! Then you say, "but I'm not going to buy anything." And she will reply, "no worries, you don't buy anything, just listen and enjoy the breakfast." Your senses by now have kicked in that this doesn't sound right. Listen to them! So you have now spent 45 minutes with this individual who is now your second best friend, and you are inked for the presentation in the morning. Oh boy!

Now, to the presentation. You drive to Vidanta and you are mesmerized by the huge concrete entrance walls. The place is nice! The guards let you in and as you're driving through the road that is landscaped with lush vegetation, you see the golf course on the right. Yeah, you see yourself hitting that 9 iron to the back of the green. Then you park. Nice place! You get checked in. Man these people are nice! They drive you to the restaurant and deal making warehouse or ballroom, and it all really begins now. You are presented to a salesperson who is going to take you to eat. The buffet is good. The salesperson is asking a ton of questions. A ton! They want to gently find out all about you and your travel habits. So breakfast is not with your partner, you get to eat with the agent. Actually the agent is pretty nice. He walks you through the property and tells you about the options, and the place is Nice!

Oh forgot, right before the agent takes you to eat, he brings a big boss over to look you over, literally he stares you down and asks, "If we offer you an option you like, are you open to purchasing a product from us?" Yes, I guess. What else could you say, I drove 45 minutes to get here just for breakfast and a pair of free tickets to snorkel. So back to the walkthrough of the place. You see and you hear, but now it's time to put the numbers down. If you have been to timeshare presentations, you know they never give you the best deal until the end. So by now we have met three sellers. And the offer from Vidanta is that you only pay for the week you use. So you can get 1 week for 50 years or 2 weeks for 25 years. No maintenance fees.

I don't remember the purchase price to be a member. Regardless, we weren't making a decision right there. But, "Why" the salesman says, "What's keeping you from this opportunity." Slash. Price goes down. "Mm, no we want to talk this over." "Why? What's there to think about this. Is it the money?" "Well no, we like the easiness of making vacations on the fly, we jump on package deals," I explain. Well, guess what, they have a travel agency that you will save tons of money from. Air, cars, limos, private jets, you name it. "And We will give you this free." Hmmm.

So I know the offers are unique but the point is that their style and approach are the same with everyone, from the reviews I have read. The more I said no, the lower the price went and a few perks were added. Then a fourth agent came in to give it a go. They kept referring to my current vacation cost and what I had spent to try and entice me that this was so much better than how I was currently vacationing. No, no, no. We cannot make a decision in one day. Also, it said 90 minutes and we are now at 3 hours. "The time starts after breakfast, so we have not met the 90 minutes," the fourth agent says. "Also, on two occasions your wife was on the phone so we will have to make up for that."

So he gets up and goes to have a chit chat with the gang. He comes in one more time full throttle this time, and finally my uppercut is, "No, we will not buy." He gets up, and leaves. No goodbye, no thank you for your time, no more Mr. Nice Guy. These people are no longer nice! So now to the gifts right...wrong. Four agents down one to go. At the gifts room they have one more chance up their sleeve, a hail mary. This guy is the good guy. He wants to know how his buddies did. And he says he just wants you to take back a good word to your friends and family. And you feel comfortable with him.

And all of a sudden the survey is now, "You know what, we have one very special deal for you." And guess what, he is going to write his phone number and we can call him if we are interested. $5600 for 100 weeks at exclusive resorts and all you pay is $199 per week stay. Worldwide! No blackouts! Hmm that is good. But we're tired and were sticking to our guns, no purchases when I cannot think straight. Okay, but how bout 200 weeks for $3600. What??? How can anyone say no? Well, I did. Finally, we could go. Just another 30 minutes hopping from room to room to get the tickets. Not anything worth my time and vacation time lost.

So the point to all of this rambling. You can have a nice vacation in Cancun, just avoid all timeshare presentations or the like. Unless you're willing to go through all of the agony, stress and bullying. Some people can handle it and that's ok. Also, the place is nice, no arguments there. But don't look at this if you're a deal hunter. This is not a deal as mentioned before. It's a vacation package that is not cheap. You are going to pay. How much depends on many factors. And as I read many of these posts, you realize there are many hidden stipulations that no one knows until they come across them by accident or necessities. I can imagine their contracts go on and on and I assume they are made that way so that the common person cannot make it out. This is not a little place, it's huge and the cost to maintain is huge money. The last agent said it was a million dollars a day. I can believe that.

So, it's too bad that this is such a bad business, in general. Compare it to buying a different product, say a mattress. You look for certain qualities and the needs are not the same for everyone. But you know what you're paying for as the price changes depending on brand, material, and options. But it's right there, and I don't understand why with this business they keep it all hidden. And even when they explain everything, it comes up differently in the contract. It just seems like the consumers of these places really have to do a lot of work just to break even. And that just doesn't seem fair.

I feel sorry for all of the people that purchased and got lied to. Hey, I was there, they wear you out. The place is nice. There are just too many negative vibes and feelings. No one should feel like that when you think of a vacation. Based on what I have read, I am not sure you really get what you paid for with Vidanta. But I'm staying away because their tactics suck. I didn't buy so I won't know if they are liars as well, but that wouldn't surprise me. I felt so worn out, worse than buying a new car. That's not how I want to purchase a vacation. I will keep doing it my way.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Thanks for excellent services at your beautiful resort! I'm actually going to write a detailed compliment to Our Presentation Specialist Aristides and Our Concierge Manager! Lovely Experience at Vidanta!!! Just Lovely!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Vida wants to have you to buy into the "elite" points system. With these points you supposedly can use them to book travel through them. The problem is that their travel agency sucks. They routinely drop the ball and don't get back with you as they promise. Also, a good number of their agents have such heavy accents that you cannot understand them, and conversely they cannot understand you. Until they decide to improve these problems I cannot recommend using the Vida Travel agency.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Was humiliated and talked down to by Claudia who stated she was a corporate lawyer with Vida. We are Luxxe Loft owners wanting an update in San Jose del Cabo. As we stayed in an outside resort she accused us of looking for benefits. We were pursued by a Vida rep trying to sell us excursions. Although management tried to correct the wrong by providing us a free breakfast we left humiliated and furious to our treatment.

Resolution response: Dec. 6, 2017

I spoke to an account representative today, and we were able to resolve the whole matter. Given that my in-laws had gotten nowhere and were getting more anxious and upset by the day, I stepped in to help more directly with a power of attorney. I called, and the account representative - Frank Luark - called me right back. We had a very productive conversation where we were able to sift out the facts, figure out what happened, and then move forward. To his credit, Mr. Luark was not defensive or hostile during our conversation, but remained calm and reasonable throughout. We were able to address each of the issues, one by one.

Look, I can't speak to my in-laws' personal experience of the sales presentation, which I imagine felt high-pressure, intense and long (I've not been to these presentations, but I have been to other timeshare ones in the past) - but, I can honestly say that I was quite surprised (and relieved) that Frank was being reasonable and amenable to their concerns. While we did not cancel the new contract, we were able to get everything my in-laws need to feel comfortable - and moreover, HAPPY - with this new contract, and to get them to a place where they didn't feel swindled or tricked. I think my own complete 180 - which I was NOT expecting - is testament that light can shine through in dark places, and that was my personal experience with Frank.

While I have never been to the property, my in-laws have enjoyed it and brought their friends for over 10 years with rave reviews. But for this one sales presentation experience, they have been satisfied members. We are all glad that it looks like this relationship can continue with good faith and good feelings.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

My elderly in-laws have been members of Grand Maya resorts for around 8-9 years. They've been reasonably happy with their membership and the facilities are beautiful, but these "upgrade" presentations are totally unconscionable. On their most recent trip, they were offered an "upgrade" to fractional ownership from timeshare ownership, with the lure of significantly reducing impending renovation fees and upgrading to a Grand Luxxe Loft. They were not interested in the Loft because it has less square footage than their existing arrangement, and do not enjoy "loft" style (no closed walls) units. Gerardo, their salesperson, however, insisted that their upcoming renovation fees were going to be significant.

They couldn't remember how much they had been paying, but Gerardo got some "papers" about their account and showed them the numbers. Using these "papers" with different numbers, he convinced them that their renovation costs were going to be $37,000 in the next few years. They were extremely alarmed to hear that, but he showed them their "account papers," so they assumed he was telling the truth. As a result, they upgraded to the Loft.

When they got back to the United States, my in-laws checked their existing contract and found that their renovation fees were very small, and would not amount to anything near $37,000 in their current contract. In addition, when they looked more closely at the "papers" Gerardo had given them - it had SOMEONE ELSE'S NAME on it! Gerardo printed out someone else's numbers and used that to deceive my in-laws. This is a SERIOUS PROBLEM - first, they used erroneous information to intentionally pressure my in-laws into an upgrade, and second, they gave away someone else's PRIVATE information.

We have sent emails, letters, and phone calls asking for the original agreement to be restored, the equity trade-in agreement to be canceled, and the down-payment to be refunded. So far, the customer service representative assigned to the case has only offered "extra amenities or benefits." Vida Vacations acts in BAD FAITH, using sales tactics that are unconscionable, particularly on the elderly. STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

We have been "members" for a couple years and absolutely love the resort in Nuevo Vallarta, but the sales presentations are definitely nightmares. First, if you are a returning "owner", ask for cash to go to the "owner presentation". They will routinely pay you $300-$400 cash upfront to sit through the sales pitch. Don't do it for breakfast or any other offer - your time is more valuable.

Secondly, obviously don't fall for their first, second, third or even fourth offer. It's painful but if you think of it as a game, they will drop their fees down to almost nothing. Our "final offer" was less than 1/10th of their starting price. My main complaint is that they don't have a fast-path option. Just show us the condo and give us the final price and we'll say yes or no. The whole thing could take 5 minutes and be a lot less painful for everyone.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Last January we were convinced to attend a sales presentation for a timeshare at Vidanta Grand Mayan resort. Vidanta has 6 locations in Mexico and we like Mexico. It's close enough to California to vacation a couple weeks a year. Needless to say the presentation was relentless, as expected and after 6 hours of a salesperson, her manager, her manager's manager, etc. Adding options, switching options we finally felt good about the condo unit layout that we purchased and the price. We immediately scheduled our required next visit to the Grand Mayan in Cabo for June, so we could get our "Vidanta $6,000.00". Without warning we arrived on June 25th while the hotel was under complete reconstruction! Imagine sitting at the pool and a tractor drives by moving dirt, it's true. But no hard feelings, we ate out in town and refused the "required presentation update", we were just staying 5 days, didn't want to waste it on another presentation.

Book our next vacation in Puerto Penasco at the Mayan Palace and arrive November 4th. Nice place. Beautiful beach. Just 7 hour drive from home. At registration they asked us to attend a sales presentation to "review your contract". Actually not a bad idea, since after 6 hrs on the initial sale, I did not have a clear understanding of what I purchased and she said just "30 min" with breakfast.

Then I got the key to my room, trying to unlock the door to my surprise it was not vacant. The lady who was staying there said she was not leaving till tomorrow so I headed back to reception. They gave me another key. I opened the door and was floored - like Motel 6 if you know what I mean. Two small beds, no jacuzzi tub, no sitting area. Back to reception I went with the picture of the room I purchased in Cabo in January. The receptionist said the "motel 6" room was the room I purchased in the Mayan Palace, there was no room that matched what I purchased in this hotel.

BUT... For an upgrade price of $60/per day they could move me to a Master Suite. Of course I paid, who would spend a week in that tiny little room? Not happy with this experience. I went back to my original room to see what they were going to give me had it not been occupied. Guess what? Yes, it was a Master Suite. In other words I had to pay extra for the room I would have had, if it had not been occupied. On Tuesday at the "review my contract presentation" I told the sales rep what happened and he admitted that they normally upgrade you on your first visit to Puerto Penasco so you can see what you did NOT pay for and then ask you to upgrade your timeshare in order to get what you thought you were getting originally.

Is this "bait and switch"? What we found out during this 3 hour contract review is that we can only have the room we purchased in Cabo, any other resort we are downgraded. But this was our opportunity to pay another $9000.00 to get what we wanted. I am not sure if this is legal or not. They threatened that if we did not upgrade right now we would not have the chance to upgrade in the future. I took copies of every document on the table with all their promises and threats; when you pass away your estate is liable for $6500.00 transfer fee so you better upgrade which will eliminate this cost to your family.

Your Vidanta dollars expire and you can only spend them on "stuff in the catalog". Originally we had been told we could use those dollars toward airfare and hotels. They tried to get us to sign a resignation letter stating we understand "this promotion will no longer be available, that I am losing $11,900 in equity, they will not eliminate the maintenance fees times 10 as a transfer fee and that we will be responsible for all contractual fees and future modifications to contract". What does all that even mean? I got up and walked out. Warning; Take copies of everything they write down. You might need to show it to a lawyer. I am so confused by this transaction. I have asked for a lawyer to contact me.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Okay, so here we go The good, the bad, and the ugly. First, the good. This was my second visit to this resort, located in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. I visited two years ago using a trade through Interval International. This year, my home resort in St. John USVI was decimated by hurricane Irma, and I was forced to make a trade at the last minute in order to use my 2017 usage. Surprisingly, the Mayan Palace and the Grand Luxxe were available again. Since I had such a fantastic experience there last time at The Mayan Palace, I decided to go for The Grand Luxxe since it was available.

Please understand all of our ownerships: Westin St. John USVI, K'anapali beach Maui, Tahiti Village Las Vegas are all top rack resorts, so making a good trade is never a problem for us. Having said that, this resort is hands-down, bar none the most opulent, luxurious, cleanest, nicest resort I have ever been in in my life. The staff are consistently friendly, efficient, and absolutely bend over backwards to give you an over-the-top experience. I simply cannot say enough good things about this resort and the people who operate it.

As for the bad and the ugly. There honestly is nothing I can classify in the "ugly" category. Having said that, this is a vacation ownership a.k.a. timeshare opportunity, so what do you really expect? Are they high-pressure? In a word, yes. Probably some of the highest pressure I've ever seen in the timeshare business. They are not rude at all. I was here two years ago, and actually went to two separate presentations at two separate resorts, one of them being Vidanta.

No one was ever rude, although the pressure is definitely there, and you're kidding yourself if you think you're really going to get out of one of these in anything close to one hour. They play a lot of numbers games, and if you've never been through a timeshare presentation, I could see why that would put you off a little bit. But clearly all of these one star reviews here are from people who have already owned other timeshares, so the only thing I can think is that they have a serious case of buyer's remorse.

The bottom line is You don't buy one of these things because it's a great value. There are opportunities to buy timeshares on the secondary market if you want to get into a cheap vacation. However, again this is the nicest resort I've ever stayed in in my life. The sales presentation is one unfortunate reality of dealing with timeshare and timeshare-like vacation deals. If you haven't figured it out yet, the best way to tell when a timeshare representative is lying is when their lips are moving. Yes, like another reviewer we got tons of "Vida dollars". But if you really think they are going to buy your old timeshare ownerships from you at retail value, and then give you thousands of dollars worth of "Vida dollars" and those Vida dollars are worth anything close to dollar for dollar for actual cash, you are as stupid as the salespeople think you are.

In the end, you are purchasing a vacation. It is a vacation with a few perks that you may or may not use. I honestly have to say though that Vidanta runs an absolutely amazing resort that by far surpasses the quality of anything else that I've ever owned or used, and I have been to some very nice places. They will continue to grow as they expand, which makes them highly motivated to keep the resort in good shape and keep current owners coming back (because if you don't, you don't have to pay your "usage fee" and it is that usage fee that keeps their operating budget alive.) In summary, I think that all of the one star reviews here are a bunch of crap. They don't really reflect the quality of the resort, and most of them clearly reflect the buyers' dissatisfaction with the timeshare business deal with it. You excepted a bribe for as much as $400 to go sit through a sales presentation, so what did you really expect?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I made reservations to go to Nuevo Vallarta in March of 2018. The agent tried to talk me into buying medical insurance for $198. I declined the offer, and when he insisted, I told him to send me an email with the information. I also told him that I did not need it because we are traveling with two physicians who could provide medical care to us if needed. I discovered that he went ahead and enrolled us, and charged us. I called VIDA Vacations about the charge and they said I authorized it, and would not refund me the $$. Just another scam way that they can make more money.

Vida Vacations expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Vida Vacations is a timeshare company that was founded in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico in 2010. The company offers real estate interests in 15 resorts in Mexico.

• Luxury destinations: Vida Vacations offers customers timeshares at some of the most luxurious resort destinations in Mexico.

• Great employee treatment: The company is known for treating its employees well, and it has been called one of the Top 20 "Great Places to Work in Mexico" by the Mayan Times.

• Concierge service: Vida Vacations offers its customers a global concierge surface to help travelers plan their travels across the world.

• Trading opportunities: Customers who purchase timeshares from Vida also have the opportunity to visit destinations that are part of other vacation clubs.

• Vacation amenities: Travelers who choose Vida Vacations Resorts have access to a huge range of resort amenities when they travel, including restaurants, bars, activities, entertainment and more.

• Best for: Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property and young professionals with disposable income.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs