2. Travel

Spirit Air
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.81/5
Based on 1,207 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

pricing, allowing them to pay only for the options they want – things like bags, seat assignments and refreshments. With our Fit Fleet™, one of the youngest fleets of any major U.S. airline, we operate more than 460 daily flights to 65 destinations in the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean.

View More View More

Spirit Air Reviews

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

Spirit Airline Flight NK 330 took good care of us. Some that were on this flight would complain, but I only have positive things to say about this airline. The seats were comfortable, the flight staff was friendly and helpful in a very negative situation. Our flight on October 20th was delayed due to a mechanical reason. I'm so thankful the flight was delayed and the airplane was fixed. The next issue was we were to fly from New Orleans to Dallas. The flight was delayed again because of tornado warnings in Dallas. We boarded the plan, headed to Dallas, but we were diverted to Houston because Air Traffic Control was not allowing any planes to land in Dallas. Spirit airlines compensated us with hotel vouchers, food vouchers and vouchers for a taxi ride to the hotel.

The next day, Spirit made an extra flight for us to fly us to Dallas. The pilots and flight attendants had to make this extra flight to help us get to Dallas. I thanked all of them for helping us. I feel Spirit Airlines was put in a bad position because of the bad weather, which was not the airlines fault, but Spirit Airlines did everything they could to help us in a stressful situation. Several other airlines were delayed and diverted as well. I only have positive things to say about the way Spirit Airlines handled this situation.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Sep. 23 2019, I was to fly out of Columbus Ohio at 8:00 AM. I had ordered a wheelchair in advance because I had both hips replaced not long before my trip, I arrived at the airport at 6:00 am, checked my bag and got a boarding pass by 7:00 am. The lady who checked me in asked me to wait on some seats and she would call about my chair, her Name was Youlaunda, if I'm spelling it right.

As time passed and no chair showed up I started to panic, finally at 20 mins till 8:00 I said something to her about missing my flight, even though there were only 2 ladies working, and they were swamped, she came from around the counter, grabbed a wheelchair and ran me through security, and then to my gate and I yelled at the flight attendant as she was closing the door on the plane, this lady needs more than just a good review from me, I hope this helps the right person see how valuable she is. Now for my bad review. I had a 2 hour layover in ORLANDO before going on to Texas, and never was able to get a wheelchair, now I am paying the price, due to torn stitches, thanks for that Spirit. Marion

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Traveling on a budget airline, I prepared myself for the worst and had very low expectation. Fortunately, I had a great experience flying from O'Hare (Chicago) to Baltimore (BWI) this past week. The incoming flight arrived late but the crew was able to get all of us boarded and the flight left on time even during bad weather. Although there was no free drinks, not even water, it did not bother me. In fact, I found the plane cleaner because no drinks or food was served. In addition, I was pleasantly surprised that I was deplaned faster than ever (in less than 2 minutes from Row 22) even though the plane was quite full. I noticed almost all the passengers were young (probably why they used budget airline), have almost no luggage and they move super fast! Perfect flight for me. I arrived on time and was on the curb in 10 minutes!

Original review: June 27, 2019

I was searching for a low charge book from 1(877)696-0333 soul aircraft's telephone number and same week travel. Spirit is constantly useful around there, have constantly utilized them when conceivable. Simply ensure you get your sacks paid for online with your reservation and booking or you will pay a strong charge. Traveling with as little luggage as possible, no sacks. They permit little close to none thing, little knapsack at no cost additional. Be that as it may, continue and handled packs when done AHEAD of time are likewise sensible. Ideal administration for me.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Where: Montego Bay Airport, Jamaica

When: Sunday, 5/25/19

Who: Spirit Airline Supervisor Jan(ique)

What: My flight was delayed and I never received notification that 1) the flight was behind schedule 2) I'd consequently miss my connecting flight and have to spend the night in a hotel and arrive home an entire day later than I expected to. The supervisor (Jan) graciously spent 45 minutes trying to search other options, and secured a seat for me on a direct flight leaving soon after I arrived at the airport. She coordinated with security to ensure that I reached the gate in a timely fashion, at no extra charge and with no issues. Jan and her team went above and beyond to assist me and I am so grateful for the considerations that they made in order to get me home on time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Horrible experience from the beginning. They claim it’s the cheapest flight price. They treat you so cheaply for sure. We were flying back from Orlando to Houston. Their check in system is a jock. You will be charged for everything except breathing. No organizations at the church in. Their computers were broken. They delayed so many of us. We almost didn’t make it to our flight and when we did. The flight attendant were so rude and racist, she told us to get up from our sits to accommodate for someone’s pet. She didn’t ask us politely by requesting and if we don’t mind but in a very rude orderly manner and after we said, "No because you are not asking us politely," she called her manager to come and tell us we were rude and made her uncomfortable and if we don’t follow their rules they will take us out. Well we recorded everything and that upsets her even more so she asked us to get out before explaining anything to us. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Totally horrible service, we asked for a manager or a supervisor on duty and they had no one. Not only we had to pay for another fair and when we got to Houston our suitcase was broken and our stuff (purse, clothes, shoes & jackets) STOLEN. STILL HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING. My husband is sick and this has caused us great deal of stress! I recorded everything the flight attendant and supposably the supervisor didn’t explain anything to us. She/supervisor didn’t even have a name tag on and I asked her multiple time to tell us her name. She didn’t. I asked her to call security because then she is asking for my DL WHY? Who are you? It’s so sad. Even the office told us how horrible their customer service is!!! She didn’t look at me, didn’t introduce herself and didn’t want to tell us what happened. RACIST!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I decided to use Spirit Airlines as requested by my dad and his wife based on "price" to travel to Austin from Puerto Rico, and last minute received an email flight was delayed AN HOUR, not 10 or 20 minutes an hour which means they weren't going to be able to be on time for their next flight. Called customer service to see if any changes can be made to make sure they can take the next available flight from Ft Lauderdale to Austin. No one couldn't do it. Had to be at the counter when they get there Two seniors (one in wheelchair) and we don't know for sure if they will have an available flight to Austin. Not only that. Today also tried to pay for luggage online to save $10 and their website sucks, kept saying an error and when called customer service they told me to go use the mobile app, which didn't recognize the confirmation code requested.

Is this a joke. I'm a traveler not only in the USA but international over the world and I have never seen something like this. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY. Go and see the 1 1/2 stars reviews that this company has online. Very poor reviews. Unfortunately I decided to use their services due to my dad requests but I have never used it and I will never use this company.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I've waited at the gate for 1 hour and 30 min, and 20 min before the flight I see that flight is cancelled signed, so I walk up to an attendant at the gate and ask her "Is my flight cancelled?". Without any confirmation she tells me that my flight is cancelled and that I need to go to front desk to get this resolved. So I take my 2 sons (11 and 9) and run to front desk to find that there are like 200 people lined up to get their ticketing issue cleared. They were yelling and bags throwing to since airline was telling them there is no flight going out same day. Then I realize that they are talking about different city, so I walk up to one of the personnel and she was telling me my flight to my destination city was not cancelled and whoever gave me that information made a mistake but she wouldn't do anything and tells me to go back and line up behind that 200 yelling people.

So I again grab my 2 sons and run to the gate going through TSA security check the second time but plane left 10 min ago and I realize that cancellation was actually for next flight. I really had to get to my destination city and I couldn't wait with those 200 people to get my issue resolved with spirit, so I decided to take loss and buys one way ticket to my destination city leaving in 3 hours after this incident because going to my destination was more important than wasting my time to reclaim $500 back. After all this issue, I try to check in for my return flight and it wouldn't work online, so try to call customer service and I get that usual go around with recordings and prompts and nothing gets resolved.

After 5 different phone calls, I finally get hold of real person, and she tells me that my flight is forfeited. It is forfeited(I am not even sure who's authority that it's forfeited) since I missed the going flight and I booked round trip it is automatically forfeited. They wouldn't try to reinstate my flight back home and they did not offer any other way but for me to buy their one way ticket at higher than online prices. I missed the first flight due to their attendant at the gate telling me to go to front desk without any confirmation when flight was not canceled but probably panicked that their other flight is cancelled. Attendant at the front desk wouldn't do anything to get my issue resolved although my flight was to leave in 10 min to get 200 mad people that they couldn't do anything about that day.

So what service did I receive in this whole transaction from spirit airline that's worth $1000? That they are ok not to refund my money? I am not even mentioning extra money I had to pay to buy airline ticket at airport for 3 people to go to destination city and home. For your system, at least get system that notify customer when you cancel flight on your end.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

They advertised a great deal if you sign up for their credit card. All a scam. And I spent many hours trying to sort things out between them and my bank. The total result of my time spent - nothing accomplished. And not even enough miles for a round trip ticket.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Online or app check in didn't work, super buggy. Spent a whole afternoon chatting with customer service and they gave me all kinds of stupid answers (like: "You have minors so maybe that's why you can't check in online"). Kiosk check in is extremely slow, like using a computer from the 90s. Bag drop off takes over 45 minutes even though you are already checked in! The level of inefficiency is hard to believe. My flight was changed (time and place of connection) and I wasn't informed, only noticed because thank God I checked in the night before. However, I kept getting emails about both flights (old and new) starting to board, etc. The level of nonsense is ridiculous!

Arrived at FLL an hour later than the scheduled time, and bags took over 45 minutes to get to the carrousel. Most people waiting for bags missed their connections, and we were sent to the flight rescheduling desk. The line was probably 200 people by then. And they are telling me this cheap airline that charges me to pick my seat is gonna send me home in the next available flight? We are 4 people (including 2 small kids) and obviously all flights are packed by this point. Oh, it's also 9:45 pm, and the line has moved maybe 3 spots in the last half hour. I ended up booking a last minute flight on Jet Blue in the morning and paid for a hotel for the night. All in all, this "inexpensive" airline cost me the same as if I had flown direct and without the many headaches.

Not sure about Spirit Air?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Spirit Air Company Information