1.27/5
Based on 148 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

pricing, allowing them to pay only for the options they want – things like bags, seat assignments and refreshments. With our Fit Fleet™, one of the youngest fleets of any major U.S. airline, we operate more than 460 daily flights to 65 destinations in the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean.

View More View More

2179 Spirit Air Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 21, 2018

When calling them they blamed Bank of America Spirit MasterCard for not processing my reservation booking when in fact Bank of America did process the booking on my billing statement . They cancelled my reservation and decided to rebook it at a higher rate. Losing a customer is not important to them at all...

Original review: July 17, 2018

Cheap flight? No. You pay for everything. You pay for your luggage, you pay for your seat, you pay for snack/drink, you pay to book your ticket if you talk to someone over the phone, you pay at the airport to have someone help you with a boarding pass. You name it. You pay for it. I was surprised it didn't require quarters to use the restroom on the plane. Flight departing was 3 hours delayed. They give you a voucher, but you need to fly again with them in 30 days. Awful awful awful!! Would strongly not recommend them.

Spirit Air | Reviews • Complaints • Ratings | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 17, 2018

My daughter's mission trip to Haiti was canceled on July 9th due to the rioting and safety concern for our youth. JetBlue was outstanding in refunding us our flight and insurance cost! On the other hand, Spirit Airlines and their insurance (which I did purchase) will not refund our flight. I've tried calling to find out why and do not get a response. My Chase credit card travel cancellation benefits company says that Haiti's government did not label it as a "terrorist" act so they won't cover the flight cost either! Ridiculous!

Original review: July 16, 2018

I have never dealt with a business like Spirit Air - I choose to fly Spirit to save $40 a ticket vs. Delta. The outgoing flight on Spirit from Atl to DFW was tolerable, but one of the worst experiences I had on any type of airlines - they take advantage of people by not clearly laying out all their so called expenses - when your ticket is booked, they lost me as a customer then. On the way home 7/15/2018 from DFW to Atl I was at the airport 1 hour ahead of time only to be told I could not check in that last call had been an hour before for my 3:00 flight. I was in line from 1:45 to 4:00 then they wanted $200 to rebook me - so then I waited another hour & half for a supervisor to credit which they did. So basically my 2 hour flight with Spirit took over 12 hours to get home - there were at least 100 people in line. Everyone I engaged with said they would never fly this airlines again.

People were videoing from their phones, the horrible customer service, which was only based on all rules being created as each person walked to the counter. Spirit you really need to put some time into visiting your own service lines and see what is going on at these airports - the response of your customers and how ridiculous you look to your customers. You are taking advantage of people and shame on you - I saw people crying, I saw people infuriated, I saw people frustrated. NO ONE was happy so Spirit I would suggest you take some tips from other airlines - your associates are put in an awful position based on your rules. I can't imagine anyone who would ever want to work in that type of work environment. Shame on you Spirit - customers and associates are obviously your lowest priority.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I had to cancel my tickets totaling a little over 700 for 3 passengers. They charged me 300 cancel fee plus "spoilage fee" of 40 each and the rest they would not give it back. It was credited to be used as next trip fare only with the limit time use within 2 months. Now anyone think this is ethical? I think not! Nowhere on their website under cancellation policy states that you cannot get any money back and that it will be refunded as credit to be used with them only.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: July 9, 2018

I arrived 2 hours in advance to the airport for my flight to BWI. I had checked in online and had a luggage to check in. I used the kiosk that issued a paper saying it’s not a boarding pass and that I should see an agent. I was asked to stand in a long line to check in with an agent. I stood up in that line for almost an hour and when my turn came I was simply informed that they had closed the check in for the BWI flight and they cannot do anything for me. Please note that not once have they asked the people in line to step forward if they were flying to BWI because the time has came to close the check in so I assumed it was still open and I did not want to skip the line.

The lady was extremely rude to me when I asked for explanations. There was still 45 min for the flight and she just refused to help and asked me to go see her manager because I’m wasting her time. I was very frustrated because the next day early morning I had to catch up a flight from BWI to Beirut that I could not miss. When I arrived to the manager’s office, there were at least 8 people with the same situation. And everyone just assumed that they overbooked the flight because there was still enough time to check us in and they simply refused to do so. The only answer I got was: "We don’t have any other flights tonight and we’re full for tomorrow, we can check if we have space in 2 days." At this point I had no choice but to book a flight with American Airlines that can get me to DC the same night so I don’t miss my Beirut flight the next day and had to pay 400 USD for that. Just avoid this airline if you could!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I will preface this with while we were airborne, all was good. It was the hour plus delay on take off, the 30 minute wait for a gate upon landing. But was seals my half star rating of the company is the handling of our bags when we arrived home last night. We waiting (everyone on the plane) over two hours for our bags with zero communication on to what the delay was.

The supervisor was such a COWARD, he called law enforcement to their lost luggage counter. We were never given any reason for their incompetence, and in the end, they lost one of our bags. No apologies, no nothing. As a business owner, if I treated my customers like this I would be out of business. This happened at the Denver Airport (my hometown), and it is an embarrassment to have this sort of company residing in Colorado. If you aren't concerned about your baggage, fly with Spirit. I highly recommend that you chose another airline. P.S. Still no word on our lost luggage...that we paid to stow.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I flew Spirit airline from BWI to Minneapolis this weekend. Needed a cheap flight to drop off my son to visit some friends he has not seen in a while. While my main attraction was cheap, I did find this flight better than some higher fare flights I have taken in the past. Flight attendants were friendly, overall a pretty good experience. I was really happy that I could fly out and back in the same day. Again cheap- didn't want to pay for a hotel room. The site did tell me when I booked that the return flight usually runs 1/2 late. Which ended up being true, but I was prepared because of the notice when choosing the flight. So kudos for doing that, it was helpful.

One recommendation for Spirit is give an option for booking one passenger a round trip and another passenger on the same booking as a one way. As I had difficulty booking my son so he wasn't showing as an unaccompanied minor -which is extra $$$. The only way around it to book everything as one way and if you have a connection you might end up with a problem if the airline runs late.

One other comment... the seat behind us the tray was broken and would not stay locked, so the attendant called for maintenance to "fix" it before we took off. All he did was tape it up, it looked bad even for BARE FARE- I have a picture of it, he didn't even do a good tape job. Unfortunately the person could not use the tray at all because of it. I think your maintenance needs to be a little more creative making the best of the situation for the passengers. Even though it is bare fare we the passengers did choose to spend our dollars on your product. And that is the reason for a 3 star. All in all I will fly with Spirit again.

Original review: July 2, 2018

This airline is just a joke! You may think it has great prices, but when you add the price, around $30, you have to pay for a small size carry-on (all other carriers do NOT charge for carry-ons), and the high price on checked-in luggage, your ticket price comes out more expensive than other carriers. Also, bear in mind, the weight limit for checked-in luggage is 40 lbs (versus 50 lbs on all other carriers). Trying to contact Spirit by phone is a true challenge! They are flatly non-service oriented. Subscribing to the $9 fare (a $59.95 annual fee) is another bad deal by this company. You will almost never get a deal as a subscriber. Will never subscribe again and will never fly Spirit ever again. THIS IS A BAD COMPANY, PERIOD!

Original review: July 1, 2018

I bought a round way ticket from Los Angeles to Houston (with insurance) but our 91 year old grandmother passed away and the funeral is gonna be during the time of my trip so I called them to cancel the trip or change the date. They didn't let me cancel but the person was trying to change my flight and asked me to pay the full price again so I asked, "What is the reason of buying insurance?" So the person was asking me the death certificate or obituary. Our grandmother just passed away and we are not gonna go get the death certificate right away just to cancel the flight. So I sent Obituary letter. We are immigrants from Vietnam. The whole family, all the relatives are Vietnamese and we live in the Vietnamese community so we only print Obituary is Vietnamese. I sent them a pic of the original letter but they asked for English version.

I explained the situation and again they asked me to notarize the obituary. The flight is only 3 days away and they know it is gonna be hard to do it over the weekend so they just did it on purpose so they don't have to give me back my money. Spirit is a nationwide airline company and it is their job to translate from any language to English if needed. United States is a country that has so many different immigrants living here and we talk different languages. It is a shame that they are taking advantage of a death of a passenger's family member and trying not to give back the money and rob it. It is unacceptable.

No human being should be treated like that especially when they are facing with one of their family member's death. That was my fault that people told me never buy from Spirit but I went for the cheap price and this is what I get and I lost my money. When something happens, insurance is useless. They have so many tricky ways not to give you back your money. They will put you in a hard time and they will get your money one way or another. Hope people should make a right decision flying with Sprint airlines or not after reading my experience with them.

Original review: June 28, 2018

A group flying off to Las Vegas in July, booked flights through Expedia, paying the extra $69 dollar "insurance". We then discovered that you are able to book flights that will include the price of the hotel for less than just the flight. We booked the same exact flight including the hotel which like I said was cheaper than just the flight. Call to cancel the first flight and lo and behold they won't refund. They will only give a flight credit... For a third of the price paid which you had to book within 30 days. They say you have to cancel within 24 hours yet it doesn't say that. Such **. Will never deal with spirit or Expedia for that matter. Seriously, not like it was last minute. You Suck Spirit Airlines!!!

Original review: June 26, 2018

DO NOT fly with Spirit Airlines. You think you would be saving your money when in reality it would cause you extra stress and money, because you missed your flight by seconds and you have to book a hotel and wait for their next flight that could be next day or in 3 days... Because of course they have no other airlines affiliated with them (AWFUL) experience. The crew would tell you that you have time to go get coffee or something... then turn around and say... "I don't know why they told you that. The plane is gone." How about tell a parent that is okay to leave the minor since you explained you have to go to work. Turn around and say, "Your child cannot board the plane. We will re-book him for tomorrow." Really??? I and ALL my family member WILL NEVER FLY with you guys again!!!

Original review: June 25, 2018

We were booked on the flight NK 103 From Myrtle Beach to Fort Lauderdale on April 21 at 7:58 am landing in FLL at 9:40am. Upon arrival at the airport in MYR, there was a huge line, we got there at 6:15 am. We were informed that our flight was “delayed” to 3:10, then later to 5:04pm. We were cruising out of Miami that day and had to be on the ship by 2pm. I saw a roaming agent and had my son stand in line and I went to ask her what to do as we had an emergency, she very rudely said “Get to the back of the line!” so I knew I had to do something as our $3,000 cruise was at stake, so I left my son in line and went to see about another flight at another airline.

I booked American Airlines flight 774 to Charlotte then flight 148 to Miami to get there in time. I spent $1,088.60 to get to our cruise plus my flight that was “delayed” it should say canceled, for $230.58. It was such a stressful day, we had to fly to Charlotte and then to Miami to get there the worst was all the money I had to pay. I expect a reimbursement for this as it was nothing I did, it was Spirit's fault. I have two more trips scheduled for the same type of travel, cruising the day of the flight, and I am now scared to fly with them. 9:40 arrival I suspected was plenty of time to get to the cruise port, now I am wondering if I should continue flying with Spirit. Very disappointed. They refuse to do anything for me.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I called to exchange my daughter's ticket because she was in an accident and needs to see a surgeon as soon as possible. When I called to change my daughter's ticket to get home sooner, was told I needed to send paperwork from hospital to airlines to see if this was going to be approved without cost. HOWEVER, I could purchase a ticket for $249.00 and depending on whether or not the paperwork was approved, we may get our money refunded. It could take 24 to 48 hours for approval. She needs to see a doctor NOW. Not 24 to 48 hours. Where is the humanity in this??? So, we found it faster to just purchase another ticket. Still waiting on Spirit to say if they can help. Meanwhile, our daughter is in pain and needs to see a surgeon. NO help whatsoever.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Arrive at Latrobe, PA airport. Get email that flight to Orlando canceled... no reason given. Had week reservations... had to get there. Charged $140 dollars to change flight to BWI... got in car and drove to Baltimore. Asked at every step why we are being charged money for their cancellation. Called 800 number and was told this would be removed at customer service counter. Latrobe said BWI would do it, BWI said Orlando had to remove it, Orlando said BWI will do it upon return. Of course BWI said they couldn’t do it. Supervisor on phone refused to even consider refunding the fee even though the airline failure caused the incident to begin with. Pay more and fly a better, reliable airline. By the way, the customer service desk and stewards on the plane were condescending and rude at every step of the way.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I attempted to book a flight for my son. Spirit’s website kept not letting me complete it. I called and they said there were issues with their system that day. I confirmed I had NO reservation, so went to Delta and booked. Five days later I checked my credit card accounts and I had the same charge by Spirit in 2 cards. I called them 3 times over 3 hours, each time getting different responses (we cannot search that, you never made a reservation with us, we tried to charge your card but it was declined so we collected no money).

One of my cardholders just did a traditional disputed and is unresolved. The other actually got Spirit on the line and then they said (after going through several of the other responses first), that they refunded the charge the day prior and suddenly had a confirmation number, and it could take up to 15 days to post. It all felt like a scam, not would I would have expected from an established company. Buyer beware: don’t book with Spirit Airlines.

Original review: June 15, 2018

When flying from Atlantic City to Atlanta today there was a woman very ill 3 rows in front of my family. She vomited all over the seat, the floor, and herself while taxiing to the runway. Instead of returning to the gate and removing the customer for medical evaluation they chose to change her seat right behind my daughter and continue on the 2 hour flight. 10 minutes in the air and she projectile vomits again all over the seat floor in front of her and the back of my daughter's legs. The crew then decided to give her medical attention in the restroom while they handed my daughter 2 wet wipes after I complained. The stench was there for 2 hours until we got off the plane as they had no cleaning supplies except for coffee beans to soak it up and wet wipes to wipe it with. They left the chunks in the aisle. I let Spirit know what happened immediately on social media and was offered a $50 credit, which expires in 60 days.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I booked two non-stop round trip flights from Baltimore to Las Vegas. About 2 weeks later Spirit robo called and told me my itinerary had changed. I checked, and the return 6 hour non-stop had turned into a 16 hour ordeal with a 6 hour layover in Chicago arriving in Baltimore at 2 am the next day. I also noticed that the original flights were still available for booking. This is a bait and switch situation where the "prime" flights are being continuously overbooked.

Customers are left with the unpalatable situation of accepting a ridiculous itinerary, or forfeiting the entire cost of the flight, (Cancellation must be within 24 hours of booking to receive a refund. The itinerary change was 2 weeks after booking.). The booking experience was so deceitful I sadly decided to forfeit the entire purchase price. I can't imagine how bad the flight would have been. The only compensation offered from Spirit is a credit for half the original purchase price. You can bet I'll never use that!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I paid 2 flight tickets for me and my daughter to flight from Haiti. I arrived at the airport 1 hour and 20 some before the flight. They cancelled my flight, they make me $300 more to leave in 2 days after, but I called customer service they I was the one who was cancelled my own flight # JJ1BPR. I believe they sold my flight tickets to other people in front of me for more money and cash money.

Original review: June 4, 2018

It brings me discomfort to write this email on behalf of the many complaints that has occurred while flying with Spirit Airlines on today. My flight NK163 was scheduled to board this morning 6/3/2018 at 7:45 am. The first problem was not knowing that the departure gate had been changed. It was not until around a hour after 7 am that I received an email stating that my flight had been delayed. At this time no one was at the departure gate to answer any questions from those who were not informed of the many changes. After having word of our first delay we were told the plane that we were supposed to board was clipped by another plane. Again, after being noticed of another delay we had to de-board the plane after siting in the plane for an hour waiting to depart. There were three ladies who were at the departing gates who had attitudes with my mother and I. She told my mother and my little sister that they had to pay for their carry on bag.

The carry on bag was the right size that was allowed on the airline. The lady proceeded to tell my mother that she was charging them to use the overhead bin. I’m having trouble with this due to the fact that the lady at the departing gate did not charge everyone else for their bag to be in the bin and those bags were bigger than the bags she charged us for. She continued to be rude to my mother and I and proceed to say she was going to call a manager/airport security on me. Once trying to speak with a manager about the pricing of bags he proceeded to tell us that he was not there. He was not working because it was his birthday. Finally boarding the plane near 12:00 pm. We got to Atlanta Airport around 3-3:20 pm and the pilot told us that we could not get off the plane until 10 minutes after 4:00 pm due to another plane being at our arrival gate.

As well as trying to speak with someone over her. The young man who was the manager he said, "We off duty" and said that he could not help us and was not going to help us because it was his birthday. His first name was Reggie, this is the man who the boarding agent said was the manager. He then told my mother and I that he was off duty that he did not want to assist us while having an attitude. Before and after the plane took off I asked a few people who had more bags than we did and others who had bigger bags than we did if they had to pay for their bags. They then informed me that they did not. Moral of the story is please please please do not fly with Spirit. THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. Down below you see I had to give them a star which they truly do not deserve that. JUST DON'T FLY WITH SPIRIT AIRLINES.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have flown with Spirit over a dozen times. Each experience has been uncomfortable, frustrating, but cheap. Cheap was the only reason I stayed with them, until they robbed me. I bought a ticket for my girlfriend. On spirit.com you must be a member (free or paid), well they do not tell you that as a PAID member you cannot buy a ticket for someone else, and if you fill out a ticket in someone else's name, it will end up in yours. Well, not knowing this, I paid for the ticket, which Spirit ensured me they could do NOTHING about. No option to pay a fee or something to change the name. Nothing, just, "Sorry - POLICY."

Honestly, the bare bones layout of Spirit is fine. But they tack in all these gimmicks to trick you into paying more, and then when there is a customer service issue, they have no inclination to actually help a customer. By the way, their customer service is based in Philippines and you cannot, under any circumstances, speak to an American representative. Worst airline I've ever encountered. No wonder I never see any other business people fly Spirit. Zero stars.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Customer service has always been excellent on every flight. Spirit offers specials all the time and deals are good. Purchasing tickets is easy online as well at the airport and prices for bags are reasonable too.

Original review: May 30, 2018

50 dollars for carrying a bag of chips on the plane, flights always delayed, poor customer service, not enough seat space, and nasty bathrooms. No frills just uncomfortable flying.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I was intentionally refused to board a flight because the Spirit Airlines agent claimed that I was at LAX 1 hour instead of 2 hours before my departure. I was at the airport an hour before my departure (due to unexpected traffic delays). Nonetheless, their agents refused to issue a boarding pass and argued with me for several minutes about not being there 2 hours before my departure. When I attempted to use the self-serve kiosk afterwards, the kiosk didn't allow me to print my boarding pass either. Please note that 4 other passengers were treated the same way that day and denied boarding. Spirit Airlines agents were trying to get us to change our flights and pay $99 for the change. For me that wasn't an option, because the proposed flight would get to my destination by 4 PM which would be too late (flying for work).

As a result, I ended up spending $475 on a one-way ticket through American Airlines on the spot to ensure I make it to my destination on time. It's unethical to hold passengers back when they could have been allowed to board the plane on time because the security line was quite short at the time. Circumstances arise all the time and other airlines work with the passengers to get them on their flights if there’s reasonable time to do so. In fact, that same night, I remember standing in line for my AA flight at about 11 AM and seeing TSA agents calling out passengers who were scheduled to depart at 11:30. Spirit Airlines agents figured the flight was full and were intentionally targeting customers in my situation to weed them out. Very unethical thing to do!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I booked a flight from Columbus, OH to Las Vegas, NV. I went to CMH airport to purchase the tickets and save money on the fees. They were new in Columbus and the attendant was not trained very well. He messed the ticket up multiple times. Flew to Vegas with no problems. Paid $40 each way for 1 checked bag. So the total was $80.

When I got ready to check in I noticed my return flight was for the following day. I went to LAS airport and spoke with Spirit representative and was told I would have to pay $99 to change my flight. I did that even though the guy in Columbus messed up. There was a total of 10 of my family/friends on our flight. Mine was the only one that was messed up!!! Then I was told when they changed the flight I lost my checked baggage that cost me $40 and I would have to repay. Argued with attendant but she would not waive the fee so I paid the additional $40. I WILL NEVER FLY SPIRIT AGAIN!!! I have told everyone I know not to fly them as well. Terrible customer service.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I will never fly Spirit Airlines again and let me tell you why. On 5/17/2018 I was on board flight 496 traveling from Orlando MCO to Newark. I guess the term “you get what you pay for“ really is accurate. The first minor issue was that they charged for snacks and refreshments, some airlines add that towards the flight however Spirit does not. The second minor inconvenience was that there was no onboard WiFi nor was there an option to purchase WiFi. During the flight I had nodded off, during the landing process it appears they announced that cell phone use is prohibited, I missed this announcement due to falling asleep. The plane was nearly on the ground when I picked up the phone to ensure that my ride was available when suddenly a female flight attendant had asked if I was on the phone, I replied “yes“ in a regular nonaggressive manner.

The then proceeded to speak to me with disrespect as well as aggression, at that point I stated that she needs to approach me with respect and explained that I missed the cell phone announcement, she disregarded and continued to verbally attack me so I kept reiterating that she needs to have some respect. A male passenger in front of me turned around and stated “respect goes both ways“ which I agree however I did not use any harsh language as she had used. Upon exiting the plane I informed other flight attendant as well as the pilot regarding what happened and apologized for the disturbance. I contacted Spirit Airlines customer service and explained my situation and this was the reply I received.

"Thank you for contacting the Spirit's Guest Relations Team. I'm truly sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with the level of service you received. I assure you that we are committed to offering quality customer service and ensuring that your flight experiences are both positive and memorable. We apologize if your experience fell short of the standards we strive to achieve every day. I can assure you that the level of service you received is not a normalcy with Spirit. I've personally shared your comments with our Flight Crew Management team for review and training purposes. Paul, without your feedback, it would be hard for us to determine exactly where we need to improve. I'm so grateful that you've taken a step towards assisting us in our goal to continuously enhance our operation.

While I know that we can’t change your past experience, I’m hoping a Future Travel Voucher will encourage you to give us another chance to serve you again. I've created the voucher for you in the amount of $100.0 that you can use towards your next Spirit flight. In order to view the amount that your voucher should cover, once you click the dropdown arrow next to “Flight Price,” your voucher will go towards a portion of the “Flight” breakdown. Vouchers will not cover any additional government surcharges, passenger usage charges, or compliance fees.

Vouchers cannot be used towards bags, taxes, seats, or on-board purchases. You’ll have 60 days to think of an awesome place to go and book it. You don’t have to fly by the expiration date, just make a reservation before it expires. I've provided the information for your voucher below: While I know we can't change your past experience, I can only hope that you will have a better experience on future flights with us. We hope to welcome you onboard a future Spirit Airlines flight soon. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us, I'm here to help!"

After stating why I cannot accept this voucher that is valid for 60 days due to work related circumstances, I offered to compromise and meet halfway with a partial refund. This was the reply. "I'm deeply sorry that you aren't satisfied with my resolution. In the event that a guest successfully boards his/her flight, we are unable to issue a refund since our airfares are nonrefundable. While I understand your request, we are unable to provide you further compensation at this time. If there’s anything else that I can do to help, just let me know--I’m here for you!"

At this point I’ve chosen to leave the situation alone count my losses and move on. I will not accept anything from Spirit Airlines nor am I willing to settle anymore. I’ve decided to leave this review on many review sites so that everyone has an idea of how Spirit Airlines handles situations. Now for the returning flight 983 Newark to Orlando MCO. I was about to board the plane when I was stopped and told that I have to check if my carry on luggage fits the size requirement bin in order to board with it. I stated that I flew on the same plane and the luggage fits in the overhead compartment however they stated “well if it does not fit in this bin here, we will have to charge you”.

At this point I began to get angry and kept stating that the bag will board with me as it did on the previous flight. Once they began to use harsh tone I did the same then shoved my luggage into their bin and made it fit. They repeated that it has to fit all the way in so I shoved the remaining small portion in and stated that this is literally theft. I had no prior knowledge of this attempt charge for luggage and had never heard such a thing. I’m no way did I allow anyone to charge me for anything other than the ticket price I agreed to buy. 1 round trip ticket and 1 carry on bag. This was my story with Spirit Airlines. I hope that the readers of this do not fall victim to Spirit Airlines and I actually hope all read this and consider flying with a different airline.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Purchased 4 tickets. I had to cancel one due to death in the family. Spirit Airlines ended up canceling all of our flights which I didn’t want to do and it caused me to lose $580 for absolutely nothing! They were very rude, unwilling to help me keep my flights or reimburse me for the money lost! Absolute CRIMINALS!!! Do not fly with this airline!!!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I had the worst flight ever on Spirit airlines in February 2016. I did not renew my Spirit membership or $9 fare club, I actually cancelled it immediately after my flight. Fast forward to this month's statement and I look and there is a charge for $69.95 on my bank statement. I call the bank and the Customer Service representative says, "Try calling Spirit directly and getting the refund, we have recently had lots of customers with this same complaint." So an hour of trying to get a number from them to call, I got through. And 25 minutes later had a very unhappy employee try to tell me I authorised the charges. Which I assured her had not happened since the flight from Hell in February 2016. And I had cancelled my membership immediately. It did not renew in 2016 or 2017 yet in 2018 they tried to say it was an automatic renewal.

Funny my address had changed, my name has changed and the only thing that matched was my birth date. She reluctantly refunded me the money, making it clear they would not ever refund me anything again, but said it would take 7-10 business days. I assured her that my bank was ready to process it immediately as they were aware of the unauthorised charges. Not to worry I will take a train or bus before I fly Spirit. Evidently my next step is to file a complaint with the Department of Transportation to be sure they do not charge me again in two or three years. Go with any other airline and you will be happier, arrive on time, have courteous flight crews, have crews that know how to handle turbulence, have landing and take offs that do not scare the crap out of you. They are in Financial disarray and I can guess why.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I booked a flight on Spirit from Chicago to Atlanta. The first leg of the journey was okay. My problems began on the return leg. My 7:59 pm flight on May 14 was delayed till 8:31 pm and I got an email notification. The next email said the flight had been delayed till 10:31 pm, and then again till 11:31 pm. Then at 5:19 pm, I received another email saying the flight had been restored to 7:59 pm. I decided to call Spirit's customer service to verify if the flight had indeed been restored and I was told the flight had been cancelled due to bad weather in Chicago.

I called my friends in Chicago and was told there was nothing going on weather-wise that should affect flights. I called Spirit's customer service again and at first Supervisor Sandy ** who is somewhere in South America could not tell me why the flight had been supposedly cancelled and then when I informed her that the first customer service person I spoke to said it was weather related she proceeded to confirm that there was bad weather in Chicago leading to the cancellation of the flight.

I was eventually booked on a flight from Atlanta to New Orleans and then Chicago. However, when I arrived at the airport I missed the flight and was subsequently booked on a Thursday afternoon flight through Dallas, TX to Chicago. The apathy shown by the customer service people was disgusting. My son spoke to Sandy ** extensively on the phone, and she just lacked customer service skills. Whatever happened to making things right for the customer? Honestly, If I could rate them zero stars, I would. Needless to say, I will never fly Spirit again, even if they are the last surviving airline. I'd be better off going Greyhound. In fact, I'm pretty sure this airline will not have a rating of more than one star anywhere they've been reviewed.

Original review: May 17, 2018

The value is excellent. The staff is always pleasant and the planes are new and updated. Comfortable for the value. You do have to pay if you want a drink or something to eat. No cash is accepted. The cost of checked luggage is a little much but for the price of the flights I would definitely recommend. We always choose Spirit.

Spirit Air Company Information