Spirit Air

Spirit Air Reviews

3.6/5 (1814 ratings)

About Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

Spirit Air Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

DO NOT fly with Spirit! They do not care about you as a customer and will gouge you for more money. I had to cancel a flight >30 days before departure. They charged $98 cancellation fee and then a $184 "spoilage fee." Then they wanted to put balance as credit. You will NEVER get your money back if you can't make your flight! Disgusting customer service policy!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

Spirit is a joke. They don’t support service members at all. We were 5 minutes late checking our bags and we were told we needed to rebook our flights. When my husband handed his military ID to the woman behind the kiosk she quipped “You’re military. You should know to be on time.” It was insulting and uncalled for. When we called to speak with a manager, the representative on the phone refused to transfer us. As a military family, we are stationed away from loved ones and every moment we have leave to visit is precious. If you are military, please fly any other airline other than Spirit.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

We were left waiting to board at the boarding gate with other passengers, but our luggage was on the plane. We found another airline to take us to Denver and when we arrived only a phone number was available to track our bag. We were told it was at the ticket counter which was closed. Using www.spirit.com/bagclaim for one week we never got a response. We called customer service who were unable to help us. I did receive a call indicating they had our bag and wanted to know if we wanted the bag shipped or left for pick up; we had no callback number. A week has elapsed since our bag arrived without us. We have been completely stonewalled and I have no hope of seeing our luggage again.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

Spirit Airlines makes it so that you pay to check in your luggage given the packaging options that they have available online. This would be fine if they didn’t have one of the highest track records for losing luggages. I arrived to my destination after a series of unfortunate events by Spirit. For one, our gate was changed twice with Cancun, Mexico and then we were placed on the flight and taken back off the flight with all of our items because they forgot to do a security check from their last flight. If that wasn’t the icing on the cake, my luggage never arrived to Boston. I’m convinced that after all the gate changes, it went somewhere else and was likely taken. This obviously happens a lot since Spirit has a card with QR code for luggage issues that they pass out to customers— and then they quickly shoo shoo you away luggageless out of the airport.

Worst of all however is that no one seems to truly know the process of what to do once it’s lost. I filed my report but when I inquired about updates, they always told me to file a claim. I was told by other agents that you file a claim after five days of it officially being lost. In addition to all of this, the report that I received about the lost luggage says I can purchase items that I need immediately from my luggage, but a nasty agent said that they won’t cover any interim purchases if I am near my home even though many of the items in my luggage included my only hair straightener, my only make up and all of my work pants. To end, please if you have another choice, don’t fly Spirit. There is a reason when you mention this company everyone has an oh my god reaction. Just don’t do it.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

After everything they don't even deserve a recommendation at all. My husband and I decided saving a few bucks would be helpful considering we were flying from out of town to a wedding and trying to budget for a hotel and transportation adds up. We had to leave from Seattle to Las Vegas (with a 4.5 hour layover) and had a connecting flight to Milwaukee from there. Well in Seattle our flight was delayed and pushed 4 hours and despite calling customer service and talking with the agent at the gate before boarding to change our connecting flight (as we were going to miss it) they had already switched our flight to the following day in the evening without alerting us! I've the intercom they said we should be boarding soon. They are doing some maintenance on the plane.

After we landed in Vegas again we talked to the agent at the gate and she was unable to assist us in changing flights and to try the agents at check in before TSA. Went down and waiting 2 hours in a line one of the agents asked us to move to to "prioritize" us for our flight changes/cancelations. Neither her nor the other 5 agents and manager looked our way, nor did they help us.

Eventually we made it up to the agent by budging in because we were isolated off to the left by closed kiosks completely ignored for 2 HOURS alongside maybe 30 plus people behind us. So we get to the agent and he says not only can they NOT comp us for a hotel as their system says "weather issues" when they clearly announced they had to "maintenance the aircraft before departure" but they were unable to change our flight time, destination or change us to another airline. Instead we got eye rolls and statements like "call customer service. They'll help you more than we will". Well..they didn't! I freaked OUT on the agent and took a 30 to calm down and think about what to do next. So we went inside. I apologized to the agent for being rude as he was undeserving of that treatment and things went a touch smoother. He was able to get us good seats on the flight and waived the fee. I was grateful for that.

Next day rolls up and my husband and I made it back to the airport to find our flight's been delayed. No biggie. We can still make it to the wedding. Well 6 hours pass and 20 minutes before boarding they canceled our flight and rebooked us again for the following day in the evening again! Went to customer service counter where I encountered an agent yelling at the top of his lungs for people who needed help to be quiet or we wouldn't receive assistance. I'm not sure what happened beforehand but that is NOT how you treat customers (regardless of how upset they are). He also said "call customer service if your attitude is nasty" like who the funk says that to people?!? I grabbed a card and told him to have better customer service next time.

So again stranded in Vegas (which we didn't plan for financially) and at this point we'd exhausted all our money into our own food (which literally ate on the cheap since it wasn't in the budget) and hotel stay. The following day we got back to the airport again and jut purchased a ticket home through another airline as we didn't want to miss another connecting flight from Milwaukee to Seattle and we didn't want to get stuck in Vegas another night. Called customer service and they said they were unable to refund us as we'd gone on the first leg of the trip already but they could put in a request. It's been 5 days and I haven't heard back in any way about reimbursement.

I'm not sure how they are still in business if these are the practices and policies they conduct. NEVER FLY THROUGH SPIRIT!!!! You will lose time, money, patience and in return you will get no help whatsoever. Also even if they announced maintenance issues to be done on the plane over the intercom, if it's not marked in their system (which it won't be because they are money grubbing) they will not comp you in any way because it'll say weather related in their system.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

This the 1st time I took a round trip in this airline from Fort Lauderdale to Newark for 3 days with personal belongings. No problem with that in departure but in return they said I have to pay 99$. I asked, "I came with same but you didn’t charge me." They said they didn’t do their job there but now, "You have to pay if you want to go to the plane." How many personnel do not do their job there in this company. More Over I arrived at return flight an hr early with flight is also delayed for 29 minutes. After 30 minutes to speak to an agent they said I am late and I have to go to next flight which is tomorrow.

Called the customer service on phone and that is the only positive about this company. She helped me to get the next flight 2 hrs later with extra charge of 70$ While that agent at the airport wants me to pay 89$ and I have to wait 24hours for the next flight. This company doesn’t care about customer service and referral. They want to take advantage of you on 1st flight and that is it. I know I will neither trust them in my future flights.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

I flew Spirit airlines from Columbus, Ohio to Orlando, Florida. When we got on the airplane we noticed that the floors were very dirty. When I sat down in my seat, I noticed that there was vomit all over the side of the window. When I asked the flight attendant to changes seats there was vomit all over my seat. She merely said okay and turned her attention elsewhere for the next 2 hours. I had to sit in a seat that I paid $20 for which had vomit in it. We were absolutely disgusting when we tried to get some kind of resolution from Spirit airline. They refused. They told us to file an incident report which would basically sit in a file and nothing ever be done with it. I was hung up on repeatedly and when I tried to do chat with an agent we were brushed under the rug.

Our luggage cost us $300 for a checked in bag and a carry-on bag. The flights are cheap but you literally get reamed on everything else. I would steer clear from this airline. I joined the Spirit savers club at $70. A piece for myself and my daughter and our luggage was still $132 more so it was $300 to bring on our luggage. It Spirit airlines is an absolute joke and they honestly need looked into! I don't think that I can upload pictures to the site, but I would gladly show you the seat of vomit that I had to sit in

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

Spirit Airlines is despicable and there is no bottom in the depths of Hell this corporation will not go for profitability! I have complaints, want to share why my complaints are not being addressed and how their customer service is horrible. The worst was Spirit charged me an additional $99 for my checked bag when the weight exceeded their new limit.

My mother had passed away and I was flying back and forth to handle her funeral arrangements. Upon packing for my return flight, I retained my mother's personal Bibles, a ceramic angel from her funeral flowers and some family pictures. Those items had caused extra weight which I did not have when traveling to see mother before her death. If I knew Spirit wanted an additional $99 for extra weight in my luggage, I would have considered shipping those items to my home. But in the moment of handling the death of a mother, the grief and many funeral arrangements, I didn't give my luggage enough thought.

I gave at least four Spirit representatives the opportunity to make an exception and instead I was treated rudely and disrespectful. Spirit employees are not trained for better customer service but rather how to rip off the flying public. And they're all miserable while carrying out the corporation's deceptive practices. After boarding the plane for my flight, I found my seat was dirty from the previous flight and we received an announcement there would be no WiFi for the 5-hour flight. Sounds like a common problem as there were Wifi issues on my first flight. It makes me wonder what hoops the flying passengers have to jump through to get a refund for those who paid for the WiFi service. Even water is not complimentary and it's despicable to charge their customers $4 for a bottle of water on a 5-hour flight! Where is the decency?

I've had poor experiences with Spirit in the past but this must be the last for me. I will never stop complaining after this last experience and will be communicating loudly with what highway robbery this airline is committing. Spirit could learn something from Southwest, a much higher standard of service and who will get my business from now on.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

We flew to Las Vegas on 9/29/2022. We were supposed to fly back to Dallas at 1:00 am on 10/2/2022. We decided to check to see if they flight was still on schedule at about noon on 10/1/2022. That is how we found out our flight had been delayed 19 hours, and was not scheduled to leave until 8:00 pm on 10/2/2022. We never received a notification that the flight had been delayed. We had to be back for work on 10/3/2022. We called "customer service", and spent an hour on the phone with no resolution. We went to the airport to see if we could get resolution there. They were absolutely no help. First we were told there were no other flights. Then they told us that they could send us to LAX and then we would have a connecting flight to Dallas.

After discussing this for a couple of minutes we found out the lady at the counter was planning on stranding us at LAX for a full day, and that flight wouldn't be leaving until 7:30 pm on 10/2/2022 and landing in Dallas at 11:30 am 10/3/2022. We had told her we needed to be home early on 10/2/2022. I'm still not sure how 10/3/2022 is before 10/2/2022. We then asked for a refund so we could find another airline. The lady at the desk said we would receive a refund. Her supervisor said we would receive a refund. We still have not received the refund. The first email we received from them 3 weeks after the incident said we were only entitled to a credit since we had confirmed the change.

We explained once again that we did not confirm it. Then they sent us an email stating that we were only entitled to a credit since we didn't show up for the flight. These people will do anything to charge you extra for every little thing, and then refuse to refund anything even after two of their employees said they would. You cannot believe a thing they say. They have lied to us every step of the way. I would rather walk to my destination than ever fly Spirit again.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

They charged me triple for a luggage both ways. Every time you call them, you get a different information regarding a amount of bag paid and amount. Absolutely retarded personnel. I had 5 tickets I paid for, 2 people decide not to fly, so I told that to a flight attendant and that we will be using those seats for my kid to sleep in it, since I paid for them. And I was told that it's not going to happen since they have extra people waiting to be seated. To which I replied that it is not happening. They threatened to take us off the flight with a 6 year old and cancel our tickets. The worst experience I have ever had in my life flying. Trust me, and don't waste your money, they will rip you off one way or another and you will end up paying a price of business class and flying in a horrible plane.

Spirit Air Company Information