1.14/5

Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

pricing, allowing them to pay only for the options they want – things like bags, seat assignments and refreshments. With our Fit Fleet™, one of the youngest fleets of any major U.S. airline, we operate more than 460 daily flights to 65 destinations in the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2266 Spirit Air Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I would be much more willing to sit in the uncomfortable hard seats that don’t recline or listen to the overhead compartments that rattle so intensely you’re left wondering if the bags are about to come falling down on top of your head or pay the additional fees for every little thing like those uncomfortable and hard seats and even water, if the airlines customer service were even on par with any other airline.

While away for a wedding we got the terrible news that my husband's uncle had passed away. We needed to change our flight to come home earlier (5 hours sooner) in order to make the services. The fees Spirit airline wanted to charge us were excessive and unfortunately we couldn’t really afford them so, I called to see if we could possibly have a reduction in them in order to be able to make it home. The only way they were willing to accommodate us was if we provided a death certificate to prove our beloved uncle was gone. Completely inhuman!! They kept citing that their policy was what it was but we all know that exceptions can be made to any policy in such extenuating circumstances. We weren’t asking for anything free we just wanted a reduction in cost to make it easier to get home!!

I was not about to trouble a grieving wife or children to obtain a copy of the certificate so I sent Spirit a copy of the obituary and a receipt for flowers we were sending to the funeral home. All this got us was a $180 travel credit we HAVE to use by March of this year! We had to ask family members to help us pay over $600 to move a flight up 5 hours and all they can offer is $180? What kind of despicable company does this? It’s very presumptuous of them to assume we are in any sort of position to be making travel plans within 2 months and of course $180 gets us absolutely nowhere and we would still have to shell out several hundred dollars for any flight we would book. I am literally battling with them over excessive fees and they just assume we can book a trip two months from now to utilize their “fair credit”??!!

My advice to anyone traveling is that you’re better off paying a little bit more for a more reputable airline. Not only will you be more comfortable you’ll also have the comfort of knowing that in an event like ours, you’ll be dealing with compassionate, understanding people who seem to actually care about their customers and not just money.

In 2016 my husband's grandmother passed away while he was visiting family on the west coast, when he called the airline to change the flight to come home and mourn her they accommodated him with no additional fees and all they asked was her name and the funeral home running the service. He flew United that time and going forward we will only ever do business with them or other top rated companies. You get what you pay for is too nice to say about Spirit Air, their people they aren’t worth a single red cent.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Seats are uncomfortable, staff are rude. Plus, it's not even that good of a deal – it's a scam. $55 per person bag fees, even for carry-on, mean that the price they're quoting on Expedia, etc., is way way low for what you'll actually be paying. And on the flight I was on, they scammed us – literally scammed us, charging us for the bags twice. (Ticketing agents screwed up and didn't ticket our bags all the way to the final destination.) None of the ticketing agents cared, and they all passed the buck – that the original mistake took place in another airport, so their "hands were tied."

It took a Kafkaesque experience of spending hours with "customer service" to get them to refund the double-charge, and, after that, they were unwilling even to talk about refunding us for the bag fee to begin with. I pointed out that they didn't respect initial terms of contract – that we paid for the bags to our final destination. They don't care. Out of "fairness" to our other "guests" they can't do anything. That is, they scam everyone who flies with them equally. Don't fly this airline. It is the worst of the worst.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

My dad was traveling from El Salvador to Fort Lauderdale, he is 68 yrs old and with diabetes issues, the flight was delayed for about an hour so he had to wait, now that was that. He was traveling back home which was on January 10, they overbooked the flight and they were not taking in his second traveling bag as they had a "restriction" because of the holidays that every passenger could only take one bag even though we had paid for the second bag the night before over the phone with an agent...

So since they did not allowed us to check in the second bag we decided to change his flight to January 14 which they wanted to charge us an additional $150 dollars! Insane we felt that we were being held hostage with no options and they did not care if they overbooked the flight. You pretty much had to bend over and take it or pay more money to change the flight or just leave 1 bag behind which is ridiculous, after 2 hours arguing with the agent and finally they accepted their mistake they moved the flight at no charge to the 14th.

But the issues did not stop there. On the 14th we arrived early to the airport only to find out that his flight was yet again delayed, he was supposed to leave at 10:55 am and end up leaving at 12:30 pm, the reason being for the delay was because they were having "issues with the plane". There is always a delay with this airline to merge 2 empty flights together. They do it often so who knows if this is true.

I also want to add up that I notice some of the staff were being very rude to other customers. We ended up spending a lot more money with this airline and the time and aggravation was not worth it. Also there is no one around to help. We pretty much go to the kiosk and check our own bags, get the slips for it, stick it to the bag and what do they do? Nothing! Even when you are looking for someone to help you at the kiosk only one agent is available for everyone if you even get the chance to talk to him or her. We are the ones doing their jobs, and we are spending more and more money on this crazy airline. I will never fly with them again and suggest you don't either. By the way I was not gonna rate this at all, but supposedly it is required. :/

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

OMG! That was a terrible experience and definitely the last time when I used Spirit services. I bought a round trip from Houston to Orlando, then I was not able to leave Houston on time so I booked a one-way flight with United and called Spirit to adjust my returning flight and everything looked good. I still had my returning ticket to Houston. Imagine what. Spirit canceled both of my flights... I'm at the airport, I bought that seat. They still have seats available but they are not letting me in... I paid for my seat, they never made any refund and right now they are offering me to buy my seat again but for $250 extra. Unethical company, which doesn't value their clients.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I had a flight from Detroit to Las Vegas on January 16th which was delayed (flight#NK511) so I missed my connection flight to San Diego (departed at 12:57 pm local time). I was supposed to be in San Diego at 2 pm and with the new voucher I will be there at 10 pm. I have missed my business meetings in San Diego all afternoon. Nobody is responding at the gate and customer support didn’t help either. I have written multiple reviews and complaints but haven’t received a single reply or compensation for wasting my whole day. Even Spirit website has some sort of filter for complaints and one star reviews which is cheating in the daylight. I'm going to get help from social media next.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We regularly fly from Atlantic City to Points in Florida... I have had a number of issues with their very poor customer service. If you need to make ANY changes they will not credit your card - they will give you a useless voucher that you can never redeem. There are many far better airlines that are just as competitive... Do yourself a favor and avoid Spirit Air at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was flying from IAH to PDX over Christmas, 2018 with Spirit Airlines with a layover in LAS. Spirit Airlines cancelled my flight from Las Vegas to Portland claiming it to be bad weather even though the flight for Seattle left moments before taking the same flight path "40 and clear skies in Portland by the way". I will NEVER fly Spirit Airlines again. Myself and 4 year old daughter approached the ticket counter to get another return flight home. Upon speaking with the ticket agent after waiting in line for 45 minutes we were informed the next return flight to Portland was (4 DAYS LATER). This would have been fine except for the fact that Spirit Airlines offers no hotel or flight compensation due to canceled flights.

After complaining for 30 minutes they offered us a flight to Seattle, I then had to purchase 2 EXTRA plane tickets to return home from Seattle adding $500.00 to my overall trip cost and let's not forget about the hotel that was not compensated. I am still waiting on a refund, it's been over a month and Spirit is unhelpful and non-responsive. In addition during all the ruckus they lost my stroller and car seat. Spirit Airlines claims to be the cheapest but make no mistake, they can be one of the most expensive with the snap of a finger. Take warning, Spirit Airlines is a joke, just spend the money and fly Alaska, Southwest, or American.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My Public feedback is this - I flew Spirit round-trip to a family wedding. It was my first Spirit flight. My luggage with many sentimental items was lost in a 1 hr direct flight home from Orlando to Atlanta. I spent many hours completing paperwork and claims. I am told I will be compensated for a portion of my claims by a nice customer service person named Orella.

Spirit sent me a voucher with these words "We're really sorry about what happened on your recent trip. We care about your satisfaction and want to make this right. Please accept our apologies along with this voucher for future travel to any of our destinations." Sounds nice, right? It turns out that Spirit's Voucher are not what they seem to be. For example a $100 voucher will only save me about $8 off a flight. After all is said and done Spirit is not a good option for anyone with luggage and overall not much of a "good deal". I will return to using Delta as my primary service provider for airfare. - Frequent Flyer and Business Owner.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Was offered $50 cash back for Spirit airline ticket for "only one dollar." Trusted these scammers because Spirit looked like they were promoting it...their logo all over the $50 rebate offer. The guy tried to sell me two memberships for one dollar each... Tried to sneak the second one by me talking fast asking "Do you agree?" I said no, one membership so I can cancel right after I get the rebate. Salesman basically ended the call right away.

Never got the welcome email, account number with all these amazing discounts etc as promised. Figured it didn't go through. Was billed twice for $16.99 - when I called they said the rebate form for $50.00 was online - it is not - or not easy to find. Meanwhile their so called rebates require you to save paper receipts at restaurant, fill out forms and mail them out to get a couple dollars back. Selections are limited to garbage fast food. You have to be eating fast food daily and shopping at the mall for trinkets every month spending hundreds of dollars for this to make an ounce of sense. Never got my $50 rebate. Complete waste of $34 and my time.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I reserved my entire trip through Expedia. Although my flights went satisfactory in the end, I can't say the same thing about Spirit's outrageous fees for luggage. I first flew directly with my wife from Chicago to Orlando via AA. I paid $30 for checked in luggage and my wife's carry on flew free of charge. That's reasonable for today's standards. However, on our return we flew via Spirit and the luggage nightmare started.

I was astounded to learn that they charge $55 per piece of luggage for the first 40 pounds!!! What? Are you kidding me? Not only that but between 40 and 50 pounds the fee raises to an additional $30 and even higher the more it weighs. No free carry on either! All of a sudden we joined other travelers in opening our luggage to move our personal items in public between luggages to meet their 40 pounds policy and avoid extra charges. We ended up paying a whopping $104 for luggage. I think airlines' fees for "extras" should be regulated and travelers clearly informed of what to expect prior to choose airlines. So far Spirit is failing and misleading customers and it should be investigated.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I was traveling quite often in 2016-2017 and enjoyed Spirit's low cost fares. However, the next October I noted an unauthorized charge on my cc for $69.95 from Spirit Air. After some investigation I learned that Spirit had automatically enrolled me in their $9 club fare. Apparently there is a pre checked box to automatically renew at $69.95 and if you don’t notice it and uncheck it you are enrolled and charged. They refuse to reverse the fee stating I that I agreed to the renewal. They are refusing to provide me with any documentation that verifies I agreed to and signed up for this service. The Rep said that if I had wanted to opt out I should have checked the box that says I don’t want to save money. That is ridiculous and not a clear explanation of what I was really agreeing to. They are using deceptive verbiage to trick the customer into agreeing to be automatically charged. I had no idea I would be charged and did not agree to it!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I purchased a ticket to travel from San Juan PR to FLL on December 26th 2018 and Spirit Airlines CANCELLED my flight. Yes, I had a connecting flight in FLL and I had to change that one because of Spirit mishandling of the situation. At the end, Ivan (supervisor in PR) found a flight for me as a “favor” at 7pm (original flight was at 4:30am). Spirit made the refund plus 2 vouchers of 50$ which they can use themselves. Thank you American Airlines! I approached your counter at the PR airport and I could flight to MIA with you earlier (I missed my connection anyways).

To make things worse, Spirit Airlines charges 55$ per bag, but wait guys, these people are so low...that they decrease the weight allowance making 40lbs the limit, so above that you have to pay an extra 30$ per bag. I am a frequent flyer (just not with Spirit) and I always travel with 23kg bags so, now you understand the surprise when I was going back to PR and they charged me overweighted (30$ per bag=60$) because my bags were “overweight”... What a shame Spirit!!! BE CAREFUL WITH SPIRIT BECAUSE A ONE WAY TICKET CAN INCREASE FROM 175$ to 400$ if they play you as they did with me.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I had my first reservation with this terrible airline. I prefer to ride a donkey than traveling with the airline. Here is the story: I reserved airline tickets and resorts for my family for a vacation. My return trip was with this airline. The airline canceled the flight a couple of weeks ago and offered me a 10-hour replacement flight. This was a disaster, especially with my three years old baby. I called them a couple of times and argued with them for hours. But it was no use. They have canceled my flight and I had to pay for it. I was forced to cancel the reservation and make a new reservation with other airline and pay hundreds of dollar extra from my pocket for the new reservation.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I have tried to book a flight via Spirit’s website numerous times, and I am able to enter all my information. When it comes to clicking the “book reservation” button, then it no longer works. It’s coincidental that I can no longer go forward with my booking, but when I call a customer service representative to let them know that I cannot book online they are more than happy to book it for me over the phone, for a fee. Noting that I used four different devices, and also tried using three different browsers. I think it’s next to impossible for all my browsers and all my devices (and browsers) not to function correctly, and at the moment that I am trying to book the flight on Spirit.com. It’s also coincidental that when I try to book over the phone the price differs from the price online, significantly!

At this point I have no choice but to just think that they are disabling the clicking of the “Book reservation” button in order to force customers to book their flights over the phone so that they can charge the fee. I have flown Spirit in him numerous times only because they offer the big front seats and in the past I was able to call customer service to book a flight over the phone because the website button was also not working. You can believe that now I’m leaving the Spirit BS in the past. They can keep their big seats! I rather give my money to another airline that’s not full of...you know what.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I purchased items Nov. 27th on Spirit airlines. Today Dec 23rd as I'm in good spirits because I was about to pay current bills on time I noticed a decrease in my checking account. The transaction was for spirit airlines on board$18. I called them and they're charging me almost one month later for items I purchased a month ago. The explanation was a delayed transaction. Well this delayed transaction set me back on paying one of my bills. I had funds available on my debit card at the time of purchase and it takes spirit almost a month to charge my account. No messages or emails before now stating my payment owed. I feel this is very unprofessional. I don't want to even fly on spirit no more in the future. I already had issues with their rude customer service in the past and now. Goodbye Spirit. You have lost a customer for good.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I usually don’t post complaints online, but this incident was just too egregious. First - NEVER, EVER fly Spirit Airlines, under any circumstances. I booked a flight to see my family over Christmas, with my two cats, using the same TSA-approved cat carrier I’ve flown with at least 10 times. Two Spirit agents, at the ticket counter and gate, looked over the carrier and had no objections. We’re getting ready to board and a different agent suddenly walks over to me, tells me the carrier is “too big” and won’t fit under the seat, and that she was “giving me time” to “go somewhere in the airport” and BUY a new carrier. Wouldn’t listen to any evidence that the carrier is TSA-approved and collapses down to fit under seats. I even demonstrated it and told them I had flown THEIR airline many times before, with that carrier, with no difficulty. Supervisor wouldn’t listen.

So I wheeled my cats in a wheelchair frantically back and forth from one end of the terminal to another, desperately looking for a pet carrier in the shopping areas, but no luck. The store clerks were incredulous that the gate agent had even suggested that. On top of all this, the agents placed all the blame on me for not “knowing the dimension requirements” and WOULD NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE CARRIER ADJUSTS TO FIT. By that time my cats and I were both upset and the Spirit staff were even then totally unhelpful.

The first woman even accused me of trying to “suffocate” my own cats by fitting the carrier under the seat. What an evil remark - I’ll say again that I’ve flown with that carrier MANY times without incident. They didn’t care that it was the holiday season and did NOTHING to help me - all they did was change my flight to one three days later. My checked bag was already loaded and “couldn’t be taken off.” What awful customer service - hostile attitudes, ridiculous suggestions. Totally ruined my trip and stressed out both me and my cats.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

This incident took place on 12/05/2018 after I accidentally cancelled my reservation ** thinking I had double booked. I called customer support to see if there was any way to fix this but they said we cannot re-book a cancelled reservation which is fine. A Spirit customer told me that if you get the ticket from the terminal, Spirit does not charge "Passenger Usage Fee" as opposed to getting it online. So, I called up Spirit customer service around 11:00 am to confirm that along with the timings of the Spirit terminal in Oakland. I was told that the Spirit terminal in Oakland will be open till 2:00 pm and take a break from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm.

I decided to leave immediately as it was raining and Oakland International is 40 miles away from me. I drove an hour in pouring rain to reach there before 2:00 pm but when I got there at 1:40 pm, they were closed. They had placed a sign that they will be back at 3:00 pm. Now, the prices were going up after every few minutes and I was forced to wait till 3:00 pm not to mention had to pay for parking at the airport.

Since I did not have any other option, I decided to come back at 3:00 pm and lo and behold, people were waiting in line with no Spirit representatives in sight. A whole hour passed by and nothing. In the meantime I was on call with Spirit customer service and explaining to them the entire situation and how they have no respect for their customer's time. I asked them to fix the issue by booking me a ticket at the same price as from the terminal due to the inconvenience I had to face but they wanted to charge me more.

The staff at Spirit walked in after 4:00 pm laughing and giggling with no apology for making their customers wait an extra hour. I explained the whole situation to the staff and asked them that Spirit needs to compensate me after I was given the wrong information by Spirit customer service which caused me to lose four hours of my time along with prices for tickets going up which again was Spirits fault because of their miscommunication. Instead the manager took a more condescending stance with no respect to their customers and said "Do you want me to help you or not?". Is that any way to talk to your customers?

Both Spirit representatives at the Oakland terminal along with Spirit customer service were not able to compensate me for the time and mental anguish that I had to go through. I expect to be compensated because I ended up buying a more expensive ticket ** due to the wrong information provided by Spirit customer service.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I checked in online for my flight the day before and received a confirmation but no boarding pass. Leaving from Asheville, I know getting there 30 to 40 minutes before the flight would suffice since the walk from the counter to the gate takes 3 minutes with security. I also had an assigned seat on my confirmation. I get to the counter and explained that I needed to print my pass. The woman refused saying the plane was at the gate at 96% capacity. I explained again that I had a seat assignment. She still would not print it. I wasn’t told the kiosk could be used to print and I wouldn’t have cared about the $10. The TSA person said I would make the flight and that was with, now, 20 minutes to spare if I could present a printed boarding pass. She again refused to print it. I missed a work meeting because of a double Spirit fail - no emailed boarding pass, refusal to print a boarding pass. I’ve flown low fare airlines before with no issue. I’ll never book with Spirit again

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I arrived on Nov. 12, 2018 to Orlando on flight #433 from Boston, I was the last passenger out of the plane. When I got to baggage claim I realized I had left my new iPad and a towel on the aircraft. I immediately went to the counter and told them what happened. They send an employee from Spirit to go to the gate and see if he could locate my iPad and towel, he comes back and said that a airline employee saw the towel on the plane so he ask for some to get it inside the plane. They went then come out and said, "I’m sorry but I could not find it", I call the police. He interviewed same personnel and they told him the same story. Unbelievable!!! Police Report was file and a complaint to Spirit too but no answer...

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I booked a flight with Spirit for Chicago (ORD) to New York (LGA) and coming back to Chicago from New York. I was looking forward to the travel with Spirit and was excited. During our departure from Chicago, flight was delayed due to technical difficulty, which happens totally understandable. Took about an hour and half to fix the issue and boarded the flight. As we were about to takeoff flight was halt on runway for the same technical issue for about another 45 minutes and finally took off after that. By this time our flight was already late by 3 hours from its original time.

Here is the kicker, about an hour in air the pilot informed us that they are bringing the flight back to Chicago because the technical problem was risky to continue on and it would be safe to return back. That was really dangerous life threatening experience that my wife and I had. The flight was delayed again to next day and we had to stay at the hotel until the early next morning flight. This was the experience during going to New York. The same thing happened during our return flight to Chicago. Flight was delayed by 2 hours. Instead of 9:59 pm takeoff, the flight took off at 11:45 pm. By the end of our travel this was really bad experience, definitely Spirit is last in the bottom of the list of airline to travel with.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I checked this: Which terminal is Spirit Airlines at LAX? Terminal 3. Los Angeles International Airport Terminal 3 serves Alaska Air, Horizon Air, JetBlue, Spirit Airlines, Virgin America and Virgin Australia. It contains gates 30-39. I was dropped at terminal 3, but I found out Spirit airlines was at terminal 5. I ran and ran but I was 5 minutes late. The next Spirit Airline to Oakland was after 24 hours and only one ticket was available with $99.00. I bought the round trip ticket, so reluctantly I bought it. Later, I found out Southwest airline was opening few times in the same day. And It was difficult to get refund back $99.00. The staff was so blunt, but the supervisor helped money back. I think Spirit Airline should give me credit for my missed one way trip. And they should fix the website information correctly. When I read people's opinions for Spirit, I can not expect it, but I share my uncomfortable feeling toward Spirit. I like your airline name, though. :)

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I wish I could rate NEGATIVE STARS. After months of correspondence, Spirit would not admit to its inadequate website design nor its loosely subjective interpretation of their Contract of Carriage. They issued Credit Vouchers to right the unfair penalties they assessed in the first place. In my opinion, this act was merely an untreated band-aid placed on an infected wound. Also, I did request a traveler transfer due to safety concerns. After reading Spirit’s poor safety reviews, I no longer trusted to fly with them. Of course, this request was denied. The choice was simple and based on principal. I chose to lead a safe life. I will REFUSE ALL CREDIT VOUCHERS for future travel. I made peace with my claim and had the last word.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I booked a flight from Cleveland to New Orleans on Spirit Air's website and after several times being misled and lied to about supposed "savings", I ended up paying $305 round trip. Today, "Black Friday", I get a promo code for 85% off. Thinking it would be worth it to book the flight at this great discount and cancel the original flight, I once again went through the ridiculous gyrations of booking on their website only to get to the end of the process and learn that there was no discount. The promo codes are a complete scam as they do not offer ANY additional savings over their published fares. Never again will I patronize such a deceptive company. I just wish Southwest would fly non stops from Cleveland, Canton Akron or Pittsburgh to New Orleans again!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

How about I am in the FLL airport from 10:30 am for a 12:30 Spirit Airlines flight, FLL to ATL and missed the flight by 2 mins. Why? Because; There was no flight change notification over the PA for the gate change from G5 to G10. The Customer Service Representative whom I was seated across from disappeared, otherwise, she was very busy on her personal phone. When I asked the nearest Spirit personnel the status of my flight, they did not have any information.

When I got to the correct gate, the desk agent did not know what to do, even though the aircraft was still at the gate (I have her name and ID # in case you are interested). I was told that it was my fault for not hearing the announcements which I did listen out for in the event of any delays... hmm, b) not seeing a screen display that was not posted; not receiving any notification (even via email) that was not sent; and of course any other egregious acts that I committed as a seasoned traveler who has NEVER missed a flight... EVER. I think was made my mouth remain agape during this series of events was the nonchalant and dismissive attitudes of the Spirit staff... I took names and ID numbers. Spirit, your reputation precedes you, but this one is definitely up for discussion in front of every audience that I can reach.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I just received an email from Spirit promoting their credit card and $9 Fare Club as the best way in the industry to get flights for as low as 2,500 miles each way. As evidence, they present a chart that shows the various times of year and the mileage range in the US that supports their claim. Well, don't believe it. I have been a long time card holder and $9 Fare Club member and I can tell you that the deals are not what they profess. Yes, I have gotten a few flights for their low mileage claim but they are few and far between. In my judgement, not worth the $69 a yr car fee and the $69.95 $9 fare club fee. By the time you throw in government's cut, a mysterious flight fee, baggage charges you are in the ballpark of other airlines' costs. Consider tiny seats with no recline and a charge even for a cup of water and you will begin to doubt the value.

On My recent flight from PHL to MCO, I searched the month of October for a flight. Their chart says that the lowest mileage charge was off-peak 2,500, standard 5,000 and peak 10,000. Well the only flights I could find were all 25,000 mi premium and that was the entire month when the chart showed otherwise. I have made up my mind to get rid of Spirit altogether so I booked the flight anyway and beside the 100,000 miles, I was billed a gov't fee of $22.40, a checked bag fee of $42 and a mysterious flight fee of $150. So the total was close to what I could have spent with another airline without the credit card fee or the $9 Fare Club. Then add the trip discomfort. Good Luck, I'm done with Spirit. Hello Southwest.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I am literally creating accounts on other websites hoping that I can save a few people the headache of booking a flight with Spirit Airlines. They are by far the WORST company I've ever had to deal with. They are the most horrible, most deceitful company I've ever encountered and I hope to never encounter any other company worse than they are. I'm sure that in the booklong terms of agreement they make you agree to before you purchase your ticket, they inserted it somewhere they know 99% of people won't find it. But I recently bought two tickets and had to cancel them both so I went online to find out what it would cost to cancel them.

Look up yourself. Everywhere says it's free within 24 hrs and $90 per ticket after 24 hrs. Well 2 weeks later I find myself in need of cancelling. I go online and they say they'll charge me $90 each so $180 and an extra $80 for non refundable carrier fee. So I call them to find out what kind of B.S. that is and the lady says "after 24 hrs you get charged that EXTRA $80 on top of the $180 as a 'processing fee'" which already had my blood boiling because of how horrible that was. Finally, I asked her if I was going to be refunded the remaining balance on my card and she says "no... it will be a Spirit credit that I can only use next time I fly with them". This just threw me in a rage.

I was always told they were deceitful, dishonest, scum of a company but I still gave them the benefit of the doubt and went with them because they "appeared" cheaper. But with all the rip-off stupid fees, they end up being similar to JetBlue and others so that was already strike one. They said everywhere that it's free cancellation if cancelled within 24 hrs and ONLY $90/ticket if after... then go and charge an extra $80 for processing. And they then have the audacity to keep my money with them and say I can use it NEXT time I want to fly with them.

I swear the first thing I did was find out how to short their stock (which ironically has the ticker symbol SAVE) because a company this evil shouldn't be allowed to remain active. All that to say, unless Spirit happens to be $400-$500 cheaper than ANY other airlines, do yourself the favor of NEVER flying SPIRIT. You will thank me for this tip. It disgusts me that I'm forced to give them a 1 star out of 5 here as I'd give them a -1,000 star if possible. Good luck!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We found Steve ** of the Myrtle Beach, SC airport to be extremely helpful in getting our luggage problem straight. We couldn’t do it online. He was very polite, friendly and very efficient. This took place on our return home trip to Stewart airport in Newburgh, NY. On October 25, 2018. Thank you, Steve!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I was physically abused at Ft. Lauderdale Airport by a supervisor- she kicked my bags with her feet whilst on camera, while I was attempting to zip my luggage. She didn’t allow me on my flight and called me aggressive. I was kneeling, while Spirit Air's supervisor stood over me on camera - tormenting me - saying how I wouldn’t be allowed to get on my flight - she wouldn’t allow me to pay for “extra luggage” and lied in her report saying I had 4 bags while I only had one bag and a personal item. She lied and forced me to fly United, which I paid $300 for. I was not rescheduled or refunded. I wrote BBB. Spirit.com/help and also wrote to guest services and no one has reached out to help me. This isn’t a new issue for Spirit Air! I walked outside and the VERY FIRST PERSON who spoke to me on my journey, since I wasn’t allowed to board my flight was ALSO not allowed to board a Spirit flight, even worse - she was kicked off and humiliated.

It seems Spirit Air employees think it’s okay to use their power to belittle their guest. They also call their flights “cheap” while on board the aircraft, and say if consumers want better service we should pay more for another airline. Worst service ever in my life - I’m thinking about getting legal counsel for this matter due to the physical violence, and nature of the embarrassment I suffered. My name is Maiya ** and my confirmation number was **. I am highly disgusted by the supervisor who kicked my things with her foot and wouldn’t give me her name or badge number. She was supervising gate G11 at 8 pm at FLL Airport. Airport cameras will show her shoving my bags with her foot, as well as ripping my ticket in half while other employees were trying to help me. Very embarrassing - NOT the way to handle customers. Since when is it policy to rip boarding passes in half in front of crowds of people? Please advise!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

My husband and I booked a flight with Spirit Airlines to fly from Minneapolis to Los Angels 11/9/18 for short weekend trip. Our flight was supposed to leave Minneapolis at 6:20 pm, but at 6 pm we were notified that our flight was delayed due to belt issue. We were not informed when the next flight will be. After 30 mins, we were told that next flight will be at 7:20. Around 7:15, we were told that the issue is not resolved and 7:20 departure was highly unlikely. The customer rep person couldn’t give us estimated time of departure. We were unsure what the belt issue was. There were at least 200 people waiting to board this flight and no explanation was given why it was delayed and when we can leave. Then, around 8:15, we were notified that flight is cancelled. The lady stated that the plane is missing belt for the pilot and they were waiting for a flight from Fort Lauderdale to come in at 12:30am.

She stated that the belt will be replaced and flight will depart approximately 1:30am. This upset many people waiting for hours and people who had reservations like my husband and I. Our reservations of car and hotel will only be held till 1:30-3:00am. We were told by the car and hotel that if we arrived after that window then we will have to wait till later in the morning for car and 3p for hotel check in. We still had to pay for the one night of hotel we would miss. Spirit reps did not apologize to the customers, nor did they seem empathic to people’s situation. One lady was going to her mother’s funeral and would not make it. Emotions were high and people were upset and the only thing spirit would offer were meal vouchers. I am 7 months pregnant and this is the only time my husband and I can go on vacation before our baby arrives.

I was beyond upset, angry and frustrated with their lack of respect for people’s time, plans and emotions. They dismissed people and offered stupid excuse for belt issue. The pilot came out and said that “his safety was important”, he was very insensitive and only cared about himself. No one said we didn’t care about his safety. There was apology given at any point during this situation. Then when people requested their meal vouchers there was only one working computer. The customer reps, manager, pilot were extremely rude and lacked any type of professional skills. This was my first time attempting to fly with Spirit and I WILL NEVER IN MILLION YEARS FLY AGAIN. I understand somethings might be out of their hands, but offering explanation and sympathizing with their customers, listening to our complaints and offering a solution would have helped the situation.

SPIRT EMPLOYEES NEED PROFESSIONAL training on how to talk to customers or people in general. We request to get a refund and we were told that it will take 5-7 days for full refund. We will make sure to get our refund. We were also told that they gave us $200 flight voucher if we want to fly with them again. I read some reviews on online and some people said their vouchers are fake and won’t work. I will have an issue if that’s the case for us. Overall the worst 1st time experience with them and we didn’t even board their flight.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

October 26th 2018 I had a flight leaving LGA to DAL-TX, which the tickets were purchased weeks in advance and printed out at the airport the day of the flight. My flight was at 1:30 PM as I arrived to the airport at 12:30 PM making it through security for 1:00 PM and arriving to the terminal (D2) which my flight was boarding at roughly 1:05 PM. When I arrived to check in for my 1:30 PM flight at 1:05 PM I was declined entry to the plane and told the plane gas filled up. They sold our seats! They said because we did not have assigned seats yet, even though we paid, it was a first come first serve policy.

Are you serious?! What kind of business operates like this?! Still no refund and I may add, there were fourteen other passengers that were denied entry as their seats too, have been sold to other customers. Spirit airlines should issue full refunds or shut down. It is a scam. They claim to be so cheap because they simply rob their customers. Don’t ever waste your time and/or money with Spirit, as you can see, not one positive review.

Spirit Air Company Information