Spirit Air

Spirit Air Reviews

3.8/5 (1811 ratings)

About Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

Spirit Air Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: June 21, 2022

I am 2 days away from my flight and already regret flying Spirit. The website gives one price for baggage. I called yesterday to get an exact price and was told it would $90 the website lists $76. Today I called back after picking the luggage I would need, and the price went up to $140. The only explanation they could give me was luggage is 1st come 1st serve and the fee fluctuates. I will NEVER fly Spirit again! When I fly Southwest, I take a check-in bag and a carry-on backpack and am NEVER charged. I should have stuck with Southwest. NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER again will I fly Spirit. Can't wait to see how my trip goes .*MAJOR EYE ROLL*

Original review: June 16, 2022

When boarding my flight I was trying to put one of my bags on top of my seat, I heard someone yelling from the middle of the plane but I didn't think it was for me, I continue trying to fit my bag when a very rude flight attendant came to me and said, "Hey! I'm talking to you! We are saving those for bigger items, put it underneath the seat in front of you," I had two more bags with me so I tried to do it but it didn't fit, so I put it in the cabinet on top of my seat. The flight was full and the spots were filling up very quickly. A couple of passenger put their bags next to mine with no problems until the bin was full.

Suddenly the same crew member who was wearing an apron with the name Pam came back with a bigger bag and told us, "See, I told you this bins are for bigger items," grabbing my bag and giving back to my wife while yelling, "I told you this has to go underneath your seat," I tried to explain to her that it didn't fit and she SHUSHED me, totally unprofessional and very rude, I told her don't shushed me and she said, "Well don't talk back to me." My wife told her, "If that's the case I'm going to carry it here with me" and she said that we were putting in danger the passenger that was sitting next to us. I told her, "Well that is why I was putting it on top" and she goes, "Well there is no room," I said there was room when I board the plane.

Then she said, "You know what if you are not going to cooperate" whatever and she starting walking to the front of the plane. She grabbed some papers and start looking for who knows what. She came back and said, "AGAIN this bag has to be underneath the seat, because the top is reserved for people that paid for it" like the one she put instead of mine. I told her well guess what I paid $11.00 to be a priority boarding to find a place right on top of my seat like Spirit advertise when they charge you the fee. When I told them that during the boarding of the plane they looked at me like if I was just coming up with it and they didn't know what I was talking about, so don't fall for it. You are giving them free money.

The "Pam" said again, "Whatever are you going to do it or not?" I said, "I have to otherwise you will kick me out of the plane," I've seen plenty of videos where an empowered flight attendant like Pam kick customers out of a plane for no reason. After that Pam decides to open a bin in the next seat and guess what she finds that it could carry more bags and puts mine in there looks at us and says, "Happy?" and shakes her head as if me and my wife were the most disgusting people on earth.

My wife tells her, "You only did this to us because we are Mexican." And all the hell went loose "Pam" starts screaming, "Oh my God! OH MY GOD!" Walking in the aisle towards the front screaming, "I've never been insulted like this in my life." Poor thing but yelling at me, shushing me, discriminating me because according to her I didn't pay for my bag to be on top of my seat was ok, and furthermore she went upfront and started whispering to the other 2 members of the crew and then they both looked at us shaking their heads and giving us dirty looks. Then thank God they ignored us for the rest of the flight and to top it off, when I was leaving the plane, one of the other crew members looks at me with a very sarcastic smile in her face and said, "I hope you enjoyed your flight. See you soon."

So if you want to be discriminated, yelled at, disrespected and treated with sarcasm and unprofessionalism SPIRIT is the way to go!!! I already filed a complaint on Twitter. They told me that they will do an investigation that won't be fast but I will eventually hear back from them, and guess what I got a $50.00 voucher. Couldn't ask for more right?

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2022

They cancelled our flight three hours before departure. And rescheduled the flight altogether in different airport which 40 mins away from the original airport. The staffs doesn't speak English. They are very rude. They didn't address our issues. They just kept saying weather as an issue and never gave a solution to it. They charged hell lot of money. They were extremely rude and they don't speak English at all. Worst airlines. Please do not book tickets in this airlines. They suck.

Original review: June 10, 2022

We were taking a vacation with our 11 year old granddaughter from Texas to San Diego. When we were about an hour away from the airport we received a notice that our flight had been cancelled. Spirit did not offer any alternative options, so we were on our own to find a flight to San Diego. There was absolutely nothing available, so we ended up flying into Los Angeles and driving to San Diego. It took us 22 hours from when we left our house in Texas to get to San Diego. We could have driven it in 17 hours!!! Also, the rebooking of the flights, parking and rental cars cost over $1000 in addition to what we had budgeted. There was never an "I'm sorry", or "How can we help?". On the other hand, the new airline we booked with had to delay our flight and we received $300 in vouchers from them. What a difference!! Never again will you see us, Spirit!!!

Original review: June 3, 2022

Personal item was charged even though it was SMALLER than the dimensions of 18x14x8. They charged me 84 dollars for that bag that I measured with a ruler before I brought it to the airport. Their boxes are shaped smaller so your bag won't fit in there on purpose, so that way they can charge you for a bag that should fit, which is absolute fraud. Poor disability aid as well. They saw I had a cane but didn't bother to help me put my bag in the overhead bin even though I could have fitted it in my seat. Was also completely ignored on the flight. Boarded last even though I have mobility issues. Didn't ask if I needed or wanted anything during the flight and was just completely ignored. Will NEVER fly with Spirit again. Ruined my trip completely. I'm sure they will charge me for my correctly sized personal item once again. Always bring the smallest bag you have because if you have a small purse they will charge your bag.

No one should have to cry on their flight. They should be excited to go somewhere and get the help they deserve. You won't get that at this airline. Delta and American Airlines are so much better. Don't waste your time being miserable spending high and hidden fees for ** you shouldn't of been charged for in the first place. Oh the best part is you'll get absolutely no refund for anything. They only care about stealing money from you especially when you're vulnerable, like myself. STAY AWAY!! WILL BE REPORTING TO THE FAA!!

Original review: June 1, 2022

I flew out of Orlando on 5-29-22, going home to AC New Jersey. I landed but my luggage never made it. I'm still trying for my bag to be sent here to AC. I have my medication and car keys in there. And spirit in Orlando just won't put my bag on a fight to me after I paid 63$ for them to do so. I've been on the phone for 4 days and nothing! I'm just NEVER EVER FLYING THEM AGAIN, I'LL PAY MORE MONEY FIRST!

Original review: May 31, 2022

This company will charge you for every little thing!!!! The girl at the check in desk charged us 10 dollars per person just to check us in. Not including charged us 140 dollars for one bag that was 49 pounds. The WIFI isn't free on the plane nor any type of condiments. It is very crowded. They took 2 hours to get us our luggage after our flight landed. They leave 20 minutes before scheduled time to depart which caused all kind of people to miss the flight along with they weren't allowing people who prechecked in and pre checked bags to go through an express line you had to wait with people who hadn't done ALL THESE THINGS!! WHAT'S THE POINT OF EVEN CHECKING IN EARLY OR PRECHECKED BAGS!!! THE CREW WAS SO RUDE IN THE AIRPORT!!

They didn't start letting people check their bags for a flight that was leaving at 7:05 am till 6:30! There was every bit of 150 people in line waiting to get their bag checked to get on this flight and we were there over an hour early AND We almost missed our flight we made it by two minutes because the desk is horrible at their job!!!

Original review: May 30, 2022

Canceled our flight. Lied to us. Said it was canceled due to weather yet several other airlines had flights to the same destination. Would do nothing to assist us in obtaining another flight. Cost us over $2000. For a one way flight home.

Original review: May 24, 2022

This is going to be a little long, I am sorry. Our flight from Orlando to Philadelphia was scheduled for 5/22 5:30 am. We arrived at the Orlando airport around 2:30am to check in our bag. Around 3:30am while we are wait in line. They announced our flight was canceled without any reason. Everyone on that flight had to go to a different counter to get rebooked. My wife was freaking out, we have a 2-year-old and a 5 yr old, also our 76 yr old grandma is with us too.

When we get to the counter, Counter agent's name was Angel **. She took our boarding pass and ask where are we traveling to, as soon as we said Philadelphia, she said the next flight is not until Wednesday. My wife starts to cry and said that's not acceptable. Told her we have a 2 yr. old and 5 yr. old. Ms. ** throw the boarding pass back to my wife and said, "I not dealing with you, you need to step aside." My wife ask her why she won't help us. (My wife was up sad, but she never cursed at Ms. ** or use any kind of foul language to her.) Ms. ** keep saying " I will not deal with you and if you keep up I will call someone and have you all removed."

I tried to intervene and tried to talk to Ms. ** in a calm voice and asked if we can all clam down and give us some options. Ms. ** keep saying she will not deal with us and she will have us removed. She did call someone to get security over. I asked for a supervisor. Ms. ** said “You can stand over there and wait for it." We waited for about 20 min. Still no supervisor. Another agent joined the counter, Her first name is Doris. I didn't get her last name. She saw us trying to interact with another counter agent and he also said he won't help us.

Ms. Doris asked us to come to her counter. She was very empathic to our situation. She gave us different options like go to Fort Lauderdale to catch another flight or take another flight next day and etc. Although none of the options works for us, but at least she was trying to help. She was very patient with us. We end up getting a refund and rent a van drove all the way back to Philadelphia.

I will NEVER EVER fly Spirit again. I understand flight gets canceled sometimes due to different reasons. It's the risk we have to take these days. But the initial treatment that we got from Angel ** was totally acceptable and uncalled for. She should not refuse to assist a customer just because customer is upset and threaten customer to call someone and remove the customer. She should not be a customer rep. especially to take care customers who are in distress. Now I know why Spirit is one of the worst airlines out there. I wish there are more customer representatives like Ms. Doris.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I selected Spirit Airlines for the first time as they were the only company offering a direct connection between Milwaukee and Orlando. I booked 4 seats on 1/25/22 for $1,262 with their bundle (not really a low cost, that’s OK for a direct connection) and for a trip scheduled on 5/13-18/22. They then changed the flights 3 times including the day of return on 5/18 to 5/19. When I asked to change my itinerary to get back on my original schedule, I was told that that flight on 5/18 was cancelled and so I had to pick up Chicago instead of Milwaukee, which I have accepted. The fees for editing my itinerary were $752 for the 4 seats (60% of original price, plus cost of rental car).

Back home, I contacted their customer service but got no resolution except an offer for 2 vouchers of $50 that I have declined. I do not recommend SA. While I understand that changing itinerary may imply fees, I would also expect that when the carrier is responsible for that change, they would waive those fees, call it courtesy or simply respect of your customers.

Spirit Air Company Information