1.30/5
  • 1 star
Based on 203 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Spirit Air

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 18, 2018

2096 Spirit Air Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Flight cancelled due to lack of crew - no pilot. No compensation for non refundable hotel and car rental. Kids sleeping in tears for last minute trip cancellation - few hours before departure for SPIRIT mistake. Cancellation due to weather or technical issues is acceptable but for lack of crew this is not acceptable.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

The worst airline that I have ever been on. I booked my trip through Expedia. First of all they wanted me to pay for my carry on, it was the correct dimension and it was not overweight, but they only allow you to carry a backpack. It's weird because every other airline lets you have a carry on for free. They wanted to charge me 60 dollars for my carry on. Of course they don’t tell you that before purchasing your ticket. I showed my military ID and told them if they have a discount, usually other airlines have discounts on bags.

They told me I was wrong and they don’t accommodate military personnel. I had to go to their website and show them that they do free baggage check for military personnel. When I did this, the lady gave me so much attitude and told me she doesn’t understand why military personnel get so much treatment. Finally after arguing with the lady, I got in the plane just to find out we are going to be delayed because they can’t find the co pilot. My flight from Cancun to Fort Lauderdale was late and I had only 45 min to pick up my bags and go through customs/TSA.

I ran through the airport, just as I was getting to the gate, a Spirit worker came on the speaker saying we had 5 min. I ran and saw him go into the doors with 3 min left. I knocked on the glass door so he can let me in, but no he just turned around and ignored me. He came back later to tell me he went to close the door and I have to go to customer service. I went to customer service and they told me I won’t be able to get another flight until 6 pm the next day. This didn’t work for me because the next day I had a flight to Barcelona at 530 pm. They asked to see my ID and saw I was military, once again I got the worst attitude about being military. They told me they can’t do anything for me and doubt I have a flight to Barcelona.

I was willing to show them my confirmation with Expedia but they didn’t want to hear it. The only reason they put me on standby was because I talked to the supervisor. They didn’t even want to put me on standby for an earlier flight or give me a hotel for the night. I called Expedia but they couldn’t even agree with Spirit or work anything out. I had to buy a brand new ticket with AA for 371 dollars. Expedia refund me 100 for it but it was still 272 plus the hotel I had to pay overnight. The whole time I was giving attitude for being military and at one point the counter lady yelled at me. I will never again travel on this airline.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

First time flying Spirit as I made last minute travel plans, not knowing the difference between a carry on charge and flat fee for personal items so I paid for 2 carry ons, even when I should not. Called phone support twice and got two different answers on how to get reimbursed for the two carry ons I never had as myself and partner each had a personal item.

Once I landed in Tampa I spoke with an agent and her manager that said I had to fly back to Houston and find the rep that helped me that can verify that I had 2 personal items and not 2 carry ons. And even when I tried to check in my bag a few hours early for my flight so I can go through airport security, they tell me I have to wait until at least 2 hours before my flight to check in my bags. So basically I can’t check in my bags and I have to spend 2 hours in airport security at an international airport stressing whether I’m going to miss my next flight. Don’t fly with this garbage airlines. I rather pay double for Southwest for their great customer service rather than fly with this garbage you call an airline.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Our flight on 1/14 scheduled to depart Atlanta at 10:42 to Boston was delayed until 130 pm because as was discovered Spirit didn't have a plane or crew scheduled. A plane had to be brought up from Ft. Lauderdale and a crew scrounged up last minute. This info was divulged by a member of the flight staff. How is this possible when the plane was almost sold out? Saving a few bucks isn't worth it. Don't fly with this makeshift outfit! The planes have cheap thin seats, barely a tray table, fees for anything, and the bathrooms were filthy. The only saving grace were the friendly attendants.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

This is my first time flying Spirit and it is safe to say I won’t be flying with them again. I received the e-mail to check in early. I did it and could not check out. They allow 17 or 18 spaces for your name, and mine is more than that. I could. It check in early online in order to avoid all of their extra fees. At the airport, they would not help me. I needed paperwork. Who carries a printer around to print from their mobile phone while out of town? So I call and after spending a good 20 minutes on the phone, they won’t help me either. I needed to call.

In other words, expect to be penalized for having a long name. Nor did anyone seem to get the point that they need to allow more characters when checking out online. In any case - they can clearly see I tried to do it all online and couldn’t. But since I did not call in time, they would not help me. I asked to be transferred to a manager. I would have had to wait another 10 minutes. Spirit - where the customer is lying unless they can prove otherwise, apparently. Talk about not feeling like a valued customer. Oh, and our flight was delayed for 2 hours. It happens, but still.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

We waited, on time, at the gate for our flight out of PHL. Zone 1-3 was called. Was turned away and told to wait for our zone. Next thing you know they are closing the doors due to overbooking, and booted us off the flight with no explanation. We were told by an extremely rude employee that "y'all should have got in line" and then left standing there with no Spirit employees in sight for a half hour with no idea what was going on. When the employee got back, she was beyond rude to us and several other customers. They did not offer us a replacement flight and no refund. We are sitting here trapped in PHL with no idea what to do.

Believe the reviews. Spirit is run by ignorant and rude employees, and when you call customer service and talk to supervisors, you will get the same attitude - no refunds, including on the reserved seats we paid for. Will NEVER fly this airline again. Absolute nightmare. Not to mention, if you do make it to the plane, you will have a very uncomfortable flight rubbing arms with your neighbor and no way to sleep or move your legs, and rude flight attendants.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Spirit canceled my flight without notifying me, purchased tickets in August for flight from Cleveland on November 15th to Las Vegas, returning through Akron on November 21st. Only when I got to the airport on November 21st in Vegas did I find out I had no way home. It cost me $1900 to fly home with another airlines. One would expect if a flight got canceled to be notified, then to have my flight re-scheduled (Spirit canceled the flight because they stopped service to Akron) fly me into the closest airport, they left me stranded in Las Vegas, then they didn't refund my money when they cancelled my flight. Unbelievable!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

My wife was to take a 1 hour Spirit flight to connect to another European flight. She would have had a 4 hour layover, which was ok. Text messages started coming in from Spirit pushing the delay time 1/2 to 1 hour with each of the 9 messages. She was also requested to come to the airport at the original departure time, despite the projected delay. It became clear that she would lose her ticket to Denmark if she didn't find another flight quickly. This cost over $400. Spirit was absolutely no help and the only reimbursement offered was 2 vouchers for $50, which she will never use, because she rarely travels on Spirit routes and now has no confidence in Spirit Air. The tickets may be cheap, but customer help and fair treatment does not exist with this company.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Do not make the same mistake as mine by flying Spirit. Very tricky company - making up low airfares by charging $45 for a carry-on, and $42 for a checked baggage, if paid online prior to the departure date; or $10-$15 more, if paid at the airport. During over 1-hr flight from LAX to Oakland, no beverage, not even water, was offered. Taking off and landing were rough.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Bought a round trip ticket to San Juan Puerto Rico. Because of the hurricane I asked for a refund. Spirit Airlines does not give refunds for any reason. Tried getting a refund through my bank still no such luck. Ticket purchased in July for January. Now I'm out $315. DON'T BUY SPIRIT. RIPOFF.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Very disappointing experience. Cancelled flight at 6:45 pm which was scheduled for a 7:00 pm departure for mechanical issues. No regard for the passengers... no offer to help get to our destination thru other airlines that had flights available in the time window. Offered a refund! What about the 15 year old girl that would have to spend the night alone in an airport! What about the 85 year old woman who had surgery scheduled the next morning? Their answer was "things happen." Yes things happen, when enough people stop flying this airline and they go out of business, things will happen. Wake up Spirit... you had potential, you’re blowing it.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Fares seem cheap, but they're not. After being charged another $82 for 1 checked bag (more expensive for a carry on), my 70 year old mother's flight was canceled due to an issue at the airport. She was trapped in the airport for over 9 hours. I realize the airline didn't cause the power outage at the airport, but not allowing her to leave was ridiculous. Plus, she's diabetic and had 9 hours with no food. When she asked the airline for a cookie or snack, offered to pay, they refused and gave her a bottled water instead. She's diabetic Spirit! You put her life in danger. Thankfully a kind worker at a store at the airport who was shut down as well, allowed her entry to buy chips. Now we've spend over 4 hours cumulatively trying to change her flight and Spirit won't let her take any flights unless they are priced less than or equal to the current even though their website and emails say they'll cover the difference if the price is higher - THEY DON'T.

Clearly online they have plenty of other flights, but refuse to let her take them. Now we can't find her bags and they have given us 2 disconnected numbers, and a voicemail only to try to find her bags. She has 2 days worth of insulin to get her thru until they can locate her bag and we can't even get a live person in baggage. "Hannah" from their customer service just says "sorry it's not our fault". Wow, Spirit, you've really outdone yourself. It took us 4 hours just to get a refund and still no bag. I will never do business with you again. You've put a 70 year old diabetic woman's life in danger and refuse to help with her bag. Disgusting!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

So after reading a lot of reviews about this airline I decided to give this airline a shot even though I was hesitating as some reviews were absolutely horrible. I wanted to bring my 5 yr old daughter to Orlando from Hartford CT for a quick Disney trip during Xmas time. I'll start with the pros: the base fare and add ons to keep costs down so it's pretty cheap if you don't have any checked luggage. I paid 60 bucks for 1 piece and an additional 50 bucks to guarantee seating together. Another pro was some of staff were helpful and pleasant.

Now for the cons: seats are very small and not that comfy, then there was the dreaded broken plane. It appears maybe they lack on maintenance? Idk. I fly a lot and JetBlue has always been my favorite... never an issue. Anyway my plane had a broken hydraulic system that caused us, to sit on the tarmac for 3 hours only to deboard and have a delay for 22 hours. They did offer a 50 dollar voucher and hotel accommodations but I opted for the refund and fly home on JetBlue. One employee in baggage claim was too busy on her phone to help me find my daughter's booster seat so I got someone else. It overall was not a positive experience. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's good. Spend a little more when it comes to these things. I usually have good luck but this turned into a potential horror story.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

It is much better and cheaper to use another airline. I had to pay $13 per seat in addition to my normal airfare, then $46 per checked in bag, but because my checked in bag was over 50lbs by 2 lbs, I had to pay an addition $30. $76 per a checked in bag!! Absolutely ridiculous. So almost $90 in addition to my purchased ticket. With horrible service too. Trust me fly United or American. In the long run it's cheaper and much better service.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

So as a background statement, I've only flown Spirit twice (only because I had bought round-trip tickets). Both trips were miserable and I wish I'd chosen another airline. They treated passengers as cattle and almost refused to let my girlfriend board after she checked in using their site. While, there were some staff that "broke the rules" to let her on, that should never happened. It was an issue with their site. Regardless, we decided to put it behind us and enjoy the flight... Well, we thought we would. The plane was as old as they come, the staff was rude and at the end of the flight, they had the opportunity to redeem themselves. They offered free airline miles... At the cost of your social security number... So... Not free?

Anyway, they offered 2500 free miles to anyone who applied for their credit card. I filled out the application and got a (soon to be considered) worthless certificate. The flight attendants were very misleading with their pitch. Apparently, you can't sell them your identity for anything worthwhile, if you don't fly with them frequently. It turns out that I got scammed into giving my identity away on a domestic flight in the USA. Are domestic airlines not subject to some degree of honesty? Do citizens have to be honest, while multi-million dollar corporations are allowed to run rampant with dishonesty? Anyway, don't fly Spirit. They have lots of sneaky fees too.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Terrible experience! No real savings after paying for boarding pass, seat section, drink, snack, carry on, bag. They overbook their flights & close the door 30+ min before scheduled departure... causing people to miss their flights. This is a terrible way to compensate the overbooking!!! Never again!!!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We fly to the Dominican Republic last month and when I saw we were to fly on Spirit Airlines I was a bit skeptical! I had never heard of this airline and thought, “Oh no I bet it is one of those small planes!” I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the plane and how many people were getting on. The people on the plane were very friendly and worked really hard while we were on the plane. I would fly with them again and wouldn't have a problem telling others to try them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I am SOOO disgusted with Spirit Airlines. They lure you into buying an airline ticket by advertising "cheap" tickets. Well that is a COMPLETE LIE!!! You end up paying more than the other airlines because they have fees and charges for EVERYTHING... And those fees are NOT cheap!!! I'm appalled that this company is allowed to do this and I wish there was a way for every person to know about all their awful fees before purchasing with them. I will NEVER purchase from them again and I will warn everyone I know to avoid their company at ALL COSTS... Literally and figuratively!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

The planes were new and very clean. Not much leg room; seats seemed really small, and I'm an average size person. Ticket price was good but too many fees. Departure and arrival were both on time.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

As others have mentioned, the website was impossible to navigate. The customer service number left me on hold for over 15 min per call. Finally I went to the Spirit counter during another trip to the airport. Staff were rude and attempted to charge me the "last minute" baggage fee that I was there to avoid. When I told them that this was the WORST customer service I had ever experienced and left the counter, they cancelled my flight (I did wonder about the smirks as I walked away). They did NOT notify me of this either via email or cell (both were in my reservation). I discovered it after another 12 minute hold with their 800 number. Never, ever again.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I will Never Be sucked into their LOW airfares again. Ended up costing us more than other flights we checked on. Seats were extremely small. Thought we had paid for baggage online both ways, but they charged us another $100 for return flight since we couldn't find our receipt. And luggage can only be 40# not 50# like most other airlines. They were rude and unfriendly.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Spirit is the worst airlines! You think you are saving but you're not. I am done and will never fly with them again! I am a club member and had purchased 4 tickets Chicago to LA. We have a family medical emergency and they will not give us a credit or flight change. So my daughters are going to go without me, not to our liking but we stand to lose a lot of money. We asked them to switch the paid for checked bag to my daughters' name and they will not! They want me to pay 80.00 for the bag to be switched. The bag is bought and paid for, but the person it is under, me, is now not flying and they will not switch it to someone in the party. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! They are the worst!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Awesome! I am so happy with them, as a single mom of teenagers I can say Spirit is the only reason I was able to attend USMC graduation. The low fares, the check in counter were so helpful, and even my bags were handled and not damaged. Fast, friendly, beautiful take off and landings, crew were friendly, my Marine received free bags and included an additional one! The seats were nice, really don't believe the bad reviews. Just a great company both new concept on bags, and they will be successful and my next flight will be with them!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I attempted to check my husband and I in online. The web site was an absolute nightmare, clearly designed to force me to disclose personal information against my will. First, the site had me living in Texas when I live in Oregon. Once I fixed that, the preflight check in process took over 30 minutes and repeatedly stalled when l refused to agree to a $9 fee to join their ridiculous club. When I finally gave in because I was running out of time, they charged me $59.95. I ended up getting charged $62.00 for two bags. I've never had such a bad airline experience in my life. When we arrived at the airport the employees looked and behaved like they were fresh out of high school. The baggage girl actually smirked at me, when I asked a simple question. They didn't care at all about their customers and didn't want to help or answer any questions.

After reading customer reviews they obviously could care less about customer service, it's all about making money. Never again will I fly such an airline that's all about ripping you off. It's like bait and switch. They make you think you are getting a good price and then they have a charge for everything after you book the tickets. By then it's too late. By the time we were finished checking in we had a $160.00 charge. Called customer service. I kept pressing 3 then they said good bye. Called customer service on screen, it was for tech support. Beware flying this airline.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

This is the worst airline for charging extra fares. They brag about being cheap but after you purchase the ticket everything is extra. In addition, most airlines are 50lbs bag weight but they are only 40 but you don't figure this out until you've already spent an extra $80 (because they charge for bags both ways) then they want more money. Worst airline experience of my life.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Before I flew Spirit for the first time this past week I checked out the online reviews, which are, like, 99% terrible. But I did my research, watched the online videos on how to vacuum pack clothes and toiletries, I measured my 18" by 12" x 8" "personal item" three times, and guess what -- I had no problems whatsoever. The flight attendants were super friendly, the seats were super uncomfortable (like 1/4" thick Ikea chairs covered in Naugahyde), and while the legroom wasn't great I've actually sat in smaller airline seats on overseas flights where my knees touched the seat in front of me. I'm only 5'2" so that's something. Spirit's leg room wasn't the worst, however the planes were all very new and I felt safe.

I brought my own snacks. And best of all, since this was personal travel I scored a helluva deal on prices and flew from Pdx to Detroit for $481 all in taxes and everything. For two people! Total. Two adults, round trip = $481 total. I can live with uncomfortable seats. All these people posting negative reviews should get their entitled selves OVER IT. Seriously. This IS NOT British Airways. This is like a flying Bolt Bus. On that note, just like the videos warned there were people on every flight that brought oversized bags and were tagged for the $65 fee at the gate. These were business travelers who had their company buy their tickets at the last minute and had no clue there were extra fees. Research Spirit Airlines before you book your ticket and you will probably have a better experience if you know what to expect.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

They are perfect for smaller, shorter flights. When I need to see friends or family for a weekend they are a nice, cheap alternative. When I had to fly out of state for a funeral, Spirit was the only one not charging an arm or a leg for a flight. Whenever I have had an issue they were always quick to respond to me. Being in the travel industry myself I appreciate them.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

We flew yesterday from LAX to Pit on a plane that had the rock hard, bolt upright, short seated version of a real airline seat. I am a small person and there was no way to be comfortable, especially on a cross country flight. I am not a fan of the fee system, the light baggage requirement, or the fact that you can't get so much as a glass of water without an extra charge, but I do expect a seat that does not inflict pain. They got us to our destination on time and in one piece, which is huge, but I will not be a repeat customer.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I booked a flight for my kids to fly home from college for Thanksgiving and the price dropped from $109 to $79.99 pp one way and $109 to $59.99 the other within 2 days. Spirit really stinks and the website wouldn't let us use our $9 fare club membership or apply any of our reward miles for this purchase. The customer service rep didn't even answer my question and with the long delay has made it pointless. I wanted a price change prior to the charge posting to my Spirit Credit Card - which I'll be canceling because I have yet to find any benefit in having it.

I also experienced technical issues because your website wouldn't allow us to use the $9 fare club we signed up for. We tried calling multiple times and it's impossible to get a customer service rep on the phone!!! This is the 10th round trip fare we have purchased with Spirit and they have never once resolved any of our issues so we are done with Spirit. There are plenty of other airlines we can and will use in the future.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

My husband and I flew out 9/7/17 from Chicago to Cancun and the morning we were leaving they cancelled the second 1/2 of our trip from Dallas to Cancun with telling us the soonest we could get out to Cancun was Monday. Delta to the rescue!! Same exact thing happened when we were flung back on 9/14/17. Absolutely no explanation at all... we will never ever fly SPIRIT AIRLINES again!!

Spirit Air Company Information

www.spirit.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use