Spirit Air

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

They are rude before you even get on the plane. Lady at gate said I was being called overhead to board. I did not hear anything. Then she yelled at me saying, "Where were YOU??" I ignored her and got on the plane. We sat for another 10 minutes waiting on others to board. I wonder if she yelled at them.

Beware booking a flight with this airline, as they have fees galore that they absolutely will not waive, no matter what. Their customer service team all sound like emotionless psychopaths with no soul. There is nothing they can do for you, as the customer. Once you sign your soul to them, they could care less about your experience. They do not intend to create recurring customers by satisfying first timers. They just want to book their flights, and charge for everything else above and beyond the seat.

I don't see how this business model is presumed to be sustainable. I would imagine they bust and go out of business inside of 5 years, but then again... There are a lot of people for them to scam yet... They are betting their survival on it. Trust me... They are not in business to serve anyone other than themselves. Be warned. The ticket looks CHEAP, but there are all sorts of hidden fees that will add up to the price of any other superior, tested and true airline. Stay away from SPIRIT!!! It is NOT CHEAP. It will end up costing you more!!!

I bought a flight ticket from Spirit for the 13 of September for Puerto Rico, after being stuck in Orlando because of hurricane Irma, since the 7 of September. After making the purchase, I notice it moved to the 14 of September, and right away I logged in to try to change the date for the for the 13 which was the original date I selected and it was asking me for another $90 freaking dollars for the change!!

I tried calling customer service and it takes you to an automatic voice message; no answer from a customer service representative at all. Now, if I select the option for new reservation, somebody picks up the phone right away!! I feel like I am being scammed by these people. How is it possible that an airline is free to prey on the people in the open like that??? I ended up paying for a total of $315 for a one-way ticket for PR, plus $90 for changing the date to the one I selected at first, but was moved to the 14 for some reason! This airline is a big fraud and something needs to be done about it!

I had the displeasure of using them a couple of times now. There is zero customer support. They encourage you to use their awful website where you cannot really do anything. I booked 3 flights online - all 3 times, I never received a confirmation email - not in spam or anywhere. I had to call in to make sure it was booked - it was. They said they would make sure to email me the reservation. Never did. Another call to them (hold time 30 mins-1hour) to speak to a rep who clearly doesn't speak English. The second time I ended up booking the same flight twice because I never got a confirmation email and assumed it was an error on my side. Nope, they just suck that bad. The lines at the airport are absurd. I HATE HATE HATE this airline. Never again. I hope they go out of business.

We were 1 hour late getting into our destination and no one was in place at the gantry to help unload us. We didn't receive any snacks too. And a bottle of water cost $3.00.. and tray tables were so small. You couldn't put your electronics in front of you. The backs of every chair were stripped down to add more seats. Very uncomfortable. And last but not least baggage fees were astronomical.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Everything about the flight itself was ok, but my granddaughter was supposed to return home with me. Her mother was in ICU and she wanted to stay with her, understandably. However, Spirit made it impossible for me to get a refund for her flight, which was not used. They said my daughter had to sign a paper proving she was ill. She was on a ventilator and could not speak. She was in a coma!! How unfair is this? They said, "That's the rules," and that was the end of it. They owe me for a flight that was never used. I hesitate to fly with them anymore because of the way they treated me. I still haven't gotten a refund.

Spirit Air canceled our flight 2 hours before take off on Monday Sept 4th - for no reason! Not only did they cancel our prepaid flight, they’re booked us to Houston TX in the middle of the disaster!!! Are they serious? We were headed to Orlando FL (way ahead of the hurricane). Why in the world would they cancel at the last minute and then book us to Houston TX? NEVER EVER AGAIN will we use Spirit Airlines. I strongly encourage everyone to NEVER use this company.

My family and I planned a trip to Puerto Rico from Sept 22-Sept 30 with Spirit Air. Due to Hurricane Irma affecting 1 million people in PR we need to cancel this trip. Obviously, I cannot control catastrophic disasters however Spirit Air is not willing to provide us with a 100% refund even after knowing the effect it has on PR. For heavens sake, the airport are all closed completely! I find that ridiculous and so very inconsiderate considering the impact that the hurricane has left behind.

Just because you offer cheap airfare does not mean that your customer service should be cheaped out as well. Do not book with this airline as the only thing that matters to them is the money. There is no care about the customer whatsoever! This is the absolute last time we use Spirit. This is sad for them because that is 8 customers they just lost due to their greed!

This is the worst airline I have ever flown, they will nickel and dime you for just about anything. You will be charged for your e-ticket if a staff member prints it. Even water, coffee and tea is charged, which should be complimentary. The fees for each piece of luggage is outrageously high and the carry-on is charged even more. My husband's id was verified on checking on the departing flight, but not mines at all. And on the return flight only my id was referred in check in but not my husband's. Quite contradictory.

I went to check in for my flight 09/06/17 and their check in machines were down. Both of them. Had to get in line at the counter. 2 people ahead of me and no counter personnel. By the time they came to wait on us and got to me I missed my flight. No refund no compensation no nothing and I spoke to Sissy who was top manager as she stated but she did nothing. I will never fly with them again. They are a horrible company who doesn't care about their customers who they wrong because they will always have other customers who fly with them no matter what people say about them. Unless people stop using them I know they probably won't read this and definitely won't care but I am putting this out there anyways.

I have travelled all over the world and flew Spirit for the 1st time... I would never ever fly again if they gave me a free ticket. Sat on plane for 2 hrs. and no one told us why and finally said the reason and then did not even offer us a glass of water. Many people got off the plane to not return but I had to be where I was going to Detroit... It was a nightmare... And by the time I paid for baggage, etc. it was no bargain and the crew looked like the cleaning people.

We booked a flight to Las Vegas for our anniversary thinking we were getting a great deal on our flight. The cost to ship luggage, any snacks and or drinks, was an additional cost. Other people on the flight were loud and obnoxious and unruly--obviously intoxicated and the stewardesses did nothing about it. They were NOT helpful at all. Then, a year later, I had fraudulent activity on my checking account from Spirit Airlines. I have NO financial affiliation with Spirit Airlines what-so-ever, including credit cards, etc. SUPER DISSATISFIED & UNHAPPY! Never use SPIRIT AIRLINES!

I would give Spirit a negative five rating but the rating does not go that low. You definitely get what you pay for with this company. They appear to be cheap but nickel and dime you for every little convenience possible (i.e. leg room, luggage, a comfortable seat, etc.). We had the unfortunate luck of flying back to Houston the day Hurricane Harvey hit. I do understand that this was an unforeseen natural disaster however every single airline had the common sense to cancel the flight the night before. I called the Houston airport and verified that all flights were cancelled except Spirit, so when I called Spirit they swore to me the flight was still on time. I called twice the night before and again early in the morning the day of.

I checked out of my hotel room and drove 3 hours to the airport and returned my rental car. When I got to baggage check they then informed me the flight was delayed by only 1 hour. I explained again for the 4th time that a hurricane was happening in the area and all other flights were cancelled yet they said it was still going to happen. The time it took me to walk from security checkpoint to the gate is when they finally decided to cancel the flight. At this point I could not turn back with paying an arm and a leg. Had they cancelled the night before, I could have made appropriate arrangements with the hotel and the rental car and NOT driven 3 hours to get to the airport.

When calling Spirit NON-customer service they refused to compensate me for my inconvenience and added cost I had to pay to find my way back home. I spoke with John ** and Jaley ** and they were not helpful, non sympathetic and they could not understand why I was calling. REALLY?!?! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, FLY WITH A REPUTABLE AIRLINE, DO NOT RUIN YOUR VACATION WITH SPIRIT.

I have flown Spirit Airlines a few times from Pittsburgh to Fort Myers and the experience was great. The personnel at both airports were great, greeting happy. The flight crew was pleasant to board and I felt safe and secure on the journey.

Flight 303 from Atlantic City to Orlando to Ft Lauderdale was a very unpleasant experience. The flight did not take off for a very long time due to technical problems. The flight attendants were in their own little world. They could care less about the passengers on flight 303 out of AC. The plane could not take off. Something was wrong. Plus they were not nice women at all. Argumentative is a good word for Myrna and Alisha was rude. Not good employees when management is not around.

DO NOT USE THIS AIRLINE... Goodness... this company charges for every little thing. Yes they charge for carry on, they charge a high rate for luggage... there is a charge for your seat... and if you have a connecting flight then you have 2 charges. They will nickel and dime you to death... and sad to say it's not nickel and dimes they are charging. I am so sorry that I ever booked a flight with them but it will be my last and I am trying to get the word out to everyone I can to avoid this airline.

They are the most disorganize airline and poor quality customer service. I would never recommend this airline to NO one. You pay $50 to 80 on your personal baggage. This is ridiculous.

Horrible airline. Its the worst custom service (no service) I ever experienced. No wonder there is always a long line at the counter. This airline doesn't care about customers. Please be wise and save headache, stay away from Spirit Air. They are happy to take your hard earn money and ruin your vacation. We were flying from CUN to LGA with connecting flight at FLL, missed the connecting flight due to delay arrival to FLL and short connecting window. There were already a long line at counter with other customers missed the connecting flights. Wait time just to speak service representative... over 3 hours. And all they gave excuses. Because of weather, immigration... not anything under their control. I have to spend extra money to find the alternative way home. Please stay away from this airline. Worst airline ever.

If you pay an extra $45.00 when you purchase your ticket, you can cancel at no charge for up to 24 hours prior to departure for no reason at all. Their policy is lousy as is their customer service. Good luck trying to speak to a living human being; it's impossible, no matter what number you call. The only good thing is the low airfare prices, but they nickel and dime you for everything else. One of their airport hubs is very close to where we live, so the convenience offsets some of the nonsense.

Spirit Airlines grab you as you are purchasing luggage. So I flight down we had one carry-on price of $42.00, check in bag $31.00. On our return flight within 4 days the carry-on bag went to 50.00 and the check in bag went to 42.00. Why would they charge such ridiculous prices. Be Aware. Yes flight was 150.00 round trip, reasonable but then they slam you with the baggage prices. Also, they do not offer any drinks or snacks for free. You are charged 14 dollars includes 3 ginger ales and a cheese package. Not worth it. I will no longer ever use Spirit Again. The only thing that was a positive is we made our flight back to Boston.

I arrived at the gate @8:16 and the gate closes at 8:14 but it was a two minute delay and they told me I can't board for security reasons! I went to Jet Blue and thank god they had another later flight to my destination in Florida which was only a $40 difference but I explained my situation to several of the jet blue employees and they said They should have never denied my flight for 2 mins! Jet blue assured me that they would have never done that to a customer and I regret not booking with them in the first place! I tried to save $40 but in the long run now I lost $156 so from now on, Jet Blue is always gonna be my airlines to Florida! Spirit can go bury themselves in a ditch! Voracious money hungry pieces of crap!

I was held at the Fort Myers Airport in April due to the flight being oversold. They gave us a voucher for two free return tickets anywhere Spirit flies. They gave us 60 days to book the flight and I think they could be for anytime over the next two years. We booked the flights to Las Vegas from Detroit and returned from Los Angeles to Detroit in October from October 7th to October 16th. The value of the tickets were $686.00 of which we paid $199.00 for the taxes and fees.

We then realized we made an error so we called to change to Aug 5th to Los Angeles from Detroit then Aug 17th from Las Vegas to Detroit. When looking at the costs it was less about $225 x two people say $500.00. They said they could switch it and charge me $480.00 which was more than what the cost is on the site and give me nothing for the tickets we had paid the taxes and fees and voucher value. When talking to Sissy supposedly a senior rep (agent ID **) she said that is the way it is so its my problem. I do not know what to do...

Canceled a flight without notification by email. No reimbursement for hotel or car rental. Next flight almost 48 hours later on a week vacation. No notification to check bags 24 hours in advance online, otherwise fees are double. To sign in at counter, additional $20. Extremely rude supervisor at ORD named Suzi-Lazy, uncaring, and completely unhelpful and unsympathetic - gives the airline and even worse reputation and needs a course on customer relations. I'm a multimillion mile flyer - this is by far the worst airline ever, including those of poor 3rd world countries. Avoid at all cost. There are many other reviews that basically say the same thing. There is no customer support by phone. All this airline can do is apologize and occasionally fly.

I don't know that I have ever experienced anything like the horrible service I saw on Friday. I was at the airport 3 hours early and at the gate. When we arrived we asked the gate agent to confirm our gate. We thought it was strange that she looked at the screen, make a face and then told us that all was good. In hindsight, we just lied to our faces to avoid having to help us. My wife and I sat right across from the gate waiting for an update. At around 9:40, I randomly checked my email only to find out that our flight had been canceled 45 minutes ago. No announcement, no recorded call, no text.

Upon actually seeing the email, I went to a customer service counter inside the terminal only to be told that they could not help me. I then called in and was told that they could only cancel my ticket for a refund but could not help me. By the time I got to the ticket counter the line was out the door. My flight was canceled at 9 pm, I got to the counter at 12:45 am.

Even at the counter, the agent could not actually help me. She had to run back to a room and find what was available and then come out to tell me. The first flight would not work because it flew out of one airport and returned to another. It would have added about $100 to my trip in taxi costs. The second flight was over 15 hour in length and would not have worked either. After 4-5 trips back and forth into the back room I was told there was no options left. I was told that the flight was canceled because of a lack of flight crew. Weather I can understand, mechanical I can understand but you not scheduling crews appropriately it's 100% on you yet somehow I am on the hook for over $300 in hotel expenses I could not cancel and you didn't even offer any compensation.

To top everything off, while we were standing in line, a construction crew came up and started grinding on the floor throwing dust everywhere. All the while, Spirit staff says nothing to them, it took several passengers making comments about health issues to get them to stop. The next day I contacted Spirit airlines to complain. At first I thought that I was actually compensated for my troubles when I was provided a $150 voucher for both myself and my wife. Today I went to actually use that voucher on 2 flights round trip from FLL to Chicago. What I found out was that only $15 of that voucher could be used towards the flight. Spirit makes the remaining cost appear to be federal costs.

This company should not be allowed to transact business is such a deceptive way. It literally take 7 clicks to find out how much your flight is going to cost and even then you have no clear understanding of the charges. When I added a carry on piece of luggage to my trip I was told that it was 40 each way but when I went to check out the cost was 98 dollar with no explanation of where the other 19 came from. I understand the concept of a low cost airline but this company specifically functions to deceive people and provide sporadic service.

I knew better than to book with Spirit. They are by far the worst airline, with the worst customer service. Today they told me that it was my fault I missed my flight -- after they changed the time to 40 minutes earlier. They said they don't notify customers if the change is within an hour. Terrible customer service. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

When I made roundtrip reservations for a trip from Myrtle Beach to Plattsburgh, I made a mistake and clicked on "Checked Luggage" inadvertently. When I tried to go back and remove the checked luggage, the system would not let me. That error cost me $120. When I called Spirit, I was told that they do not refund, but would issue a Reservation Credit. Problem is: I have to use the credit within 60 days. Big problem with that: I travel about once a year, so the credit will be expired when I am ready to travel.

I reached out to their "Customer Service" and this is going nowhere. Whoever is on the other end keeps repeating the same thing, which is not helpful. I never received a credit that forces me to use it within a short time. I think it is unfair. Especially that this was all caused by a mistake that I made and was unable to repair. There is something wrong with a system that does not let you go back and remove checked luggage. So for all that, I am extremely unhappy. And if there were another way to travel to my chosen destination without using Spirit, I would never use Spirit again. Ever.

If I could give Spirit a negative rating, I would. I had no previous experience with them, so didn't question it when Expedia booked my return flight from Seattle to Atlanta on Spirit. In short, this airline is a scam. You may be paying amazingly cheap prices for the ticket, but by the time you pay for checked baggage, a carry-on, the exorbitant prices they charge for in-flight snacks and beverages, you will end up paying more than you would have for the same trip with a different airline. What made the least sense to me was the stop in Detroit - everyone got off the plane, waited around the gate, then got back on the same plane to continue the flight to Atlanta. Ridiculous is a kind descriptive. The flight crew pushing credit card applications during the final minutes of the flight to Atlanta was beyond absurd. I will never fly Spirit again, and strongly recommend that anyone considering flying with Spirit look elsewhere.

I had a flight from Guatemala to the States and was already dehydrated from the illness I suffered while traveling. Once through security, I bought some bottles of water to take onto the plane with me, but the Spirit associates told me that I was not permitted to bring the water onto the plane. I was forced to throw the water in the trash. Then, once on the plane, I had to wait a couple of hours for the opportunity to buy bottles of water for $5 each. I know Spirit only cares about money, but I will never fly them again considering that they care much more about a few bucks than about my health.

I booked a flight on Spirit Airlines and I needed to cancel because my doctor didnt allow me to come down for the procedure because of a serious medical condition. They gave me the runaround for two weeks. Still have not got my money back. They kept the flight active. Long story short the flight was canceled so I wouldn't have been able to even make my procedure which would've caused me to lose my money that I paid for my procedure in the first place... Scam.

I had flight from Portland to Chicago. I was having additional baggage. So I booked it online and paid appropriately. Later when I got my bags, it was in the worst condition. The zip was broken, top end of the bag was damaged as if some wrestled with my bag and had done rock bottom on it. Luckily I didn't have anything fragile in it. Otherwise, it would have been a big loss. Caution for future travelers. Never use Spirit Airlines if you have many baggages.

Spirit Air Company Profile