Spirit Air

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was two hours early for Spirit flight 417 Detroit to Fort Lauderdale and missed my flight. I was supposed to arrive in Fort Lauderdale at 945 am and didn't arrive til 945 pm. Spirit didn't announce or post a Gate change. Gate 14 was posted on a hallway monitor when I arrived and was still up fairly late. The flight took off from Gate 12. Of the three flights I was on or supposed to be, there were three Gate changes and one plane was an hour late. Their luggage policy stinks. They announced a 65$ fee for a regular size bag and $100 if you didn't make the first move. They charge for coffee. And before the recent story of the doctor being dragged off a United plane, two couples were removed while their luggage was en-route to Fort Meyers. They and Spirit reps argued for maybe an hour over a computer glitch. Never again.

My first time to use this Airline 3/26/2017. I booked a round trip flight from New Orleans La. to Denver Colorado leaving 3/31/2017 returning 4/4/2017. The 800 number I called to book the representative kept putting me on hold for over 47 minutes until I said if you cannot book this I will just call someone else. (This should have been a BIG warning, RED FLAG, just this part). She promised to finish up and get me booked. She did, got my credit card number and said it would be a total of $379.03. Upon looking what they charged my card $869.30 in separate charges. I called back. The next person took as long, then finally told me they overcharged me $289.90, and I would get a credit 7-10 days, which the amount I was told and printed out my booking confirmation was still a difference of $490.27.

I called back but the next person argued and explained a totally different scenario. This time this person said that flight was not available and did I want to pay for seats. I said "Yes, I assumed I had a seat when the last person booked me", she said "It is an extra charge". I said "Okay can you give me a price for the seat added round trip?" After being on hold another 50 plus minutes she came back and I said, "I have to check one bag in do I do that now?" She said, "Oh yes it would be much cheaper." So she put me on hold again.

At this point I am feeling something not good with what was going on. 20 plus minutes she came back on and quoted the total price with seats, with my one check in luggage, round trip $460.90. I ask, "Are they going to credit me back the last transaction on my debit card? Then charge this amount." She said, "Yes yes, it will take 7-10 days to credit you back but we have to charge this because it is a different transaction." I said, "Okay as long as I am getting my money back. I just hope this is legit." She assured me no problems and booked me. I printed my new booking confirmation then looked on my bank statement this time I was charged a total of $446.60. In 3 different charges.

Exhausted at this point I had a bad feeling but dealing with them was 1/2 of a day and a different answer each time. The following day appeared another charge of $289.79. At this point I do not know what to do. I called back, each time from the beginning there was a language barrier, but I had no idea. I got put on hold for a very long time again. Finally the representative came back and said. "Yes we did make a mistake and you will get a credit 7-10 days." I was upset that a company could do this and I told them this is very wrong, they said, "Oh so sorry this is a different department." and that is all they can do. Day of flight 3/31/2017 I arrived at airport 2 hours early. They said delayed for an hour. Later another delay. Finally got on the plane and I was surprised the plane was actually pretty new. The seating was small no leg room but plane was good. My surprise was not over.

I called to confirm if my return flight was on time they said, "Yes as of now on time." I went to the airport and it was through the other Airline Frontier but on time. I got home that afternoon and later on looked at my bank statement and there were 2 more charges one for $109.00 and $14.95. I called them to see what I was being charged for now. I called and the representative told me the $109.00 was my seat charge and the $14.95 was a fee charge. I called and the representative told me to screenshot the wrong charges and give an explanation and they would investigate. I said "Well I think I will just go to my bank and give them the print out and explanation" because dealing with these people you will not get help. If anything you will be charged for something you have no clue.

I would never fly with Spirit or Frontier Airlines again. I have never ever in my life gone through so many misleading stories. Their flights are normally always delayed. I was lucky the one time and several people flying told me if you fly very early you usually get lucky on the delays. My advice the other Airlines may look a little higher when you are looking, but trust me these people are a joke and thieves. I do not see these two Airlines in business long.

I have been flying airlines since I was kid and I do understand delays/cancellation of flights due to reasons like weather, technical glitches, emergencies, unruly passengers, holidays, weekends, etc, etc. But most of the airlines usually take care of the passengers by providing best options, by trying to get them onto another flights or airlines to the passengers destinations, on unavailability provide them hotel and put them on next flight or refund the fare depending on the current ticket price. But Spirit Airlines doesn't ever fall in this category. You don't have to simply believe my review, try them, you will 2nd my review. I have been flying on Spirit for some time and I had issues in the past too (delays, cancellations, etc) and I ignored because I believe that you get what you pay for & Spirit was cheap in air fare.

But today me & my sister were scheduled to fly from ATL (Atlanta, GA) to DFW (Dallas, TX) today on flight #146 but after boarding the flight we had to stand for some time because other passengers were sitting in our seats and they were allotted the same seat #'s. When enquire with the crew we were told it was because of overbooking & offered different seats in back. But after some time all the passengers were deplaned and the reason was initially pilot still didn't come to the plane & later the co-pilot didn't too. The flight was cancelled, they advised to cancel our tickets & go back home since we are local and book ticket on next day flight & they refunded us 1-way fare what we paid last month. We bought a 1-wayticket on Southwest flight # 6605 for 5:45m for next day for double the price & took a cab to nearby motel because it was very important for us to fly to our family event.

We have been trying to get a hold on the 800 # provided by the Spirit staff till now, no answer. Maybe that's how they play. And the best part is this. That flight arrived from Boston, and the pilots who flew it never returned to plane & there was no other pilot from Spirit. And our other sister who is flying to Dallas from NY got her ticket cancelled too because of overbooking & was refunded airfare. Spirit overbooking = cancel passenger tickets who bought early for less and allot seats to travelers who bought last minute for high prices.

If you are looking at this review please share, it helps other travelers. I feel sorry for passengers traveling from Boston and stuck in Atlanta. I request you all to beware of Spirit Airlines. I am providing my Spirit confirmation #, and also followed by Southwest for facts. Will also be creating a page on Facebook, Twitter & LinkedIn. Will provide receipts of purchases of ticket, cab & motel upon request.

Coming back from Walt Disney World standing in line with 5 members of my family in front of Spirit Airlines, waiting to get our boarding information. Overheard from other passengers that their flight got cancelled from Orlando to Chicago. When I got to the counter I was advised that our flight was cancelled as well. Only offer was to put us on another flight on a different day that had layovers. No hotel accommodations were made. No attempts to put us on another carrier's airline. The only other offered was to get our money back from the purchase and find our way back to Chicago. In which we rented a car and drove back to Chicago, 20 hours. If I could rate this company, I would give it a negative five star. Save your money, save your time, save your mind from being stressed out, don't deal with this Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airline is the worst and most corrupted fraudulent airline I have ever seen or know of. Spirit Airline is very deceitful and along with its very disrespectful and unprofessional staffs. This airline obviously are given a license to practice corruptions and fraud; legalized criminals. Magnitudes of compliant made about them and yet no supervision or legal authority has done anything to stop or short down this horrible airline.

I had a very bad experience with this airline. I bought their cheap ticket in the attempt to save $100 dollars and that was my first big mistake. I spend more than that $100 that I was trying to save and it cost me more than the "REAL AIRLINES WITH GOOD REPUTABLE SERVICE AND CLASS" would have charged me and I would have been treated like a queen with additional services with no charges. Not this make believe FAKE bad spirit airline. That old saying "When something sound or look too good to be true, it usually is".

My flight from Orlando to Newark airport NJ was for 2:20pm on 3/31/17 on flight 140. Flight was delayed several times and did not depart Orlando until 7:36pm, 5 hours, 16 minute late. I and my teenage daughter boarded the flight no problems. I was attending a funeral of a dear friend on this day and I missed the entire funeral ceremonies because of this delay, embarrassing and annoyed. Returning from Newark NJ airport with bad Spirit airline on flight 159 for 6:20 pm and this was also delay and we did not depart NJ until 9:23 pm, 3 hours delayed. They don't give you any solid explanation and didn't care to and indifference in behaviors.

My other issue also is, when I was returning, I attempted to self check in and print my return ticket like I always do with other airlines and I could not, as system reads "error" but all information provided were accurate as requested. I decided to just get my return ticket at the check in service. I told them what happened and I was told there is issues with the system and that they could check me in. Come to think of it, it was a set up to redirect you to them, so they can finds reasons to scam additional money out of the unsuspecting consumers. I said okay, then we were told that we have to pay for our 3 small carry on case bags, which was not an issue when we boarded the plane from Orlando. I told the attendant this, and he said to me that the staff did not do their job in Orlando if I did not pay for my carry on. Meaning I should have being scammed for more money.

However, the same staff he spoke of, noted on my return ticket that I have luggages to check in. Lies. We only have 3 small roll on case bags about 2 feet long and 1 fit 10 inches wide. He said to me, well I don't see a luggage as written on your ticket, but I still have to charge you for your carry on. I was upset, because this was an extra expense I was not counting on spending. In fact, spent funds was set aside to feed my children for the following week was spend on additional carry on bags. I was upset, because I live paycheck to paycheck and as a single mother of 3, with no child supports help, it really hurts when scammers throws you off balance unexpectedly. I instantly felt pain and all I could think of was how I was going to feed my kids before my next paycheck. I was literally in tears. The attendant told us that if we could fit our bags in the drop box measurement, it will be free.

My daughter put all 3 bags in it and it all fits. He looks at it and said, yes it fits, but its a few inches (3inches) above their height line, so we have to charge you he said. I was charged $50 for one bag then $65 for second bag, and I told him I simply have no more money to pay for the 3rd bag which only contains my 2 laptops, and 1 Ipad, which he said would cost me another $65 dollars. He told me that I cannot get on the plane unless I paid for it. I refused, because I truly don't have anymore money and I was really distress about this. I picked up my bags and headed over to the boarding gate. He told me not to border, he was going to be at the boarding gate to board the passenger himself and that he is still going to charge me. Sure enough, he was at boarding and I was refused entry to the plane.

I told them that their action was wrong and that I paid for our tickets, this was happening on Sunday, and I told them that my daughter has school the next day and we cannot miss our flight. He said too bad, that is your problem, pay or miss the flight. This time, he is charging me $100 dollars for the 3rd bag which only contains 3pieces of item, 2 laptops and 1 Ipad. Since I have no more money, I took my laptops and Ipad out of the bag and told him that I will carry it in my hands into the plane with me without the bag, as the items are important to my children and I do not wish to risk losing them with check in either. The attendant told me, fine, without my bag, that I can board the plane. So I left my favorite bag by their reception area and headed for the plane. I have that bag for 23 years. It has a sentimental personal meaningful value to me. I was in tears as I walked away from my bag.

I stop to ask him for his name, as none of this staffs has any visible name tags. There were 3 staff members, 2 young female, one ** and other female ** with two tone color hair, bleached blond ends of hair and black top color hair. The male is **, also young, they are all in their early twenties. He said his first name was Marten, I ask for his last name and another staff petite ** female with 2 tone color hair, yelled at me and say, "You don't need his last name." I told her, as a consumer, I have the right to asked for his name and he is to provide it to me in such public relation. He mumble his last name and I could not make out what he said. The 2 tone hair color lady screamed at me again and said, "**" you heard me the first time, when I asked him to repeat his last name. She told me, "get out of my sight before I stop you from getting on the plane and call security to remove you from this flight.

I was in disbelief and shocked at the language being used to addressed me in front of my teenage daughter who was very upset, and she remained well mannered without retaliation at their stupidity. My sixteen year old had more professionalism, and class than the ** minimum wagers recruits they have for workers. When I confronted her about her bad language, she says to me “** you **, your mama." I was badly disrespected as if I was just garbage and not a concern human being or a paying customer. I was in tears. How could such unprofessionalism take place in with a big organization as a licensed airline as Spirit? This workers are all young and very rude, absolutely no communication skills or manners. This people have no compassion, indifference or could care less about anything, they are just trained to scam money from all consumers regardless.

They are liars and plays many dirty games and very deceitful in their practices. This BAD SPIRIT AIRLINE left my soul in bad spirit through the plane ride that also had a bad landing that bounce many of us from our seats, very scary. And I was told they have many mechanical problems. No surprise there, if they are cutting corners, cheating people, they will always cut savings first before the thought of saving precious lives of others. The spirit of this plane is very bad indeed.

Consumer, save yourself the hassle. Its not worth the trouble or the make believe savings, they finds ways to take it back from you anyway. This bad Spirit airline will corrupt your good spirit. Good spirit leaves ones with good feelings with good intentions. However, bad spirit will leave you with bad feelings and experience, as this bad Spirit airline has being doing to so many consumers. Avoid them by all means. I will never fly them again, not even for free. TERRIBLE SERVICE, TERRIBLE PEOPLE, TERRIBLE SPIRIT.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

I am writing to complain about my experience with Spirit Airlines. In January of 2017 I booked 2 flights for my in-laws to fly on Spirit airlines. In addition, I paid $160 in baggage fees. My mother-in-law's brother became ill so I had to cancel the flights. I expected not to receive a refund of the flight fees. However Spirit does not refund the baggage fees either! I don't know how they get away with still charging extra baggage fees for 2 tickets when the tickets were not used! They also had a few days to sell those 2 seats which they probably did.

I booked a RT from Nj to Fort Lauderdale Fl. I paid for two exit seats and for two checked bags. #1 the exit seats were terrible. I paid extra for extra leg room and could barely fit in the seats. I'm not that big and my husband is thin and it was tight for him. I paid for checked baggage early so it wouldn't be that much. When I got there I was charged an extra $55 saying my bag is overweight. They lowered the max weight from 50lbs to 40lbs. On my flight going. One of the stewardess was so rude and unfriendly like we was flying for free. I paid way more for this flight than I would've booking with other airlines and then I get on a flight 6 am in the morning to have some lady being rude to me.

I'm very very disgusted with this airline. I would never fly or even suggest anyone fly with Spirit Airlines. It seems like a cheap airline until you add all of the extra stuff you have to pay for separately. You're better off booking with a real airline where you can fly more comfortable and be treated better. They don't even give complimentary soda or peanuts. Shoot you pay to breathe the air on the plane and you can't get a free snack?!? NEVER AGAIN. I'LL WALK 1st!!!

Tickets were purchased for my daughter to fly from Seattle to Las Vegas. Family issues came in and had to cancel the flight March 26th. Flight was for April 1st return April 3rd. After 11 minutes and 37 seconds cancelling my flight they explained it cost me $100 to cancel it. After receiving notices to confirm my return flight I called up the Airlines and they said there was no record of me ever cancelling a flight and that my return flight for today April 3rd there's no refund. Even with my confirmation number, the name of the lady I talked to, also the time of day 2:11 pm and the length of the call, so I was charged the full amount for two flights which they knew nobody would be on.

This was our first time even hearing of Spirit Airlines and even though we were skeptical decided to give it a try, BAD idea. I printed boarding passes and checked in the night before we were suppose to board at 5:15 am and got notified at 4:18 am (obviously already at the airport by then) by the airline that our flight was canceled, customer service in the airport was a joke. They couldn't provide any information as to why the flight was canceled. They first said it was due to high winds then another lady said it was coming from the east coast. All the while we were left stranded and all the service ladies would say was "You can try a different airline" but could not help direct us to an airline leaving same day or even try to help get us on a different flight until Tuesday (4 1/2).

Days later obviously time was already taken off work and the trip could not be put off until then and they didn't offer to help with hotel or anything. All they offered was a refund which would not be applied to the bank 3-5 days later, lucky that wasn't all our money or we would have been screwed. Overall horrible first experience and we didn't even make it on our flight nor will we EVER FLY SPIRIT again. They're a joke.

We were scheduled to fly from Denver to Texas at 8:52 pm. I arrived 2 hours prior and checked my email to discovered the flight delay until 12:28 am. OK. No problem, we wait. An hour later another update that the flight won't leave until 2:05 am. By this time I'm getting angry but I'm still willing to wait because we needed to get to my brother's wedding. An hour into our wait we decided to go up and ask why we're delayed... When we asked, they said "We're so sorry, but the flight has been cancelled". We got no email about this cancellation. Poor service. We had to buy a new ticket on American Airlines. We left that same morning at 5 am. We spent the night at the airport. What a nightmare. NEVER FLY ON SPIRIT AIRLINES EVEN IF THE TICKET IS CHEAP. IJS.

My family and I had booked Spirit Airlines for a cruise on March 26, 2017. We each paid $130 for a one way ticket, $45 for carry-on and $23 for a seat. Our flight was at 6:45 am. We got through security without issue, found the gate and had our seats. Within 10 minutes a fellow passenger approached me asking if I had received an email from Spirit informing of a delayed flight until 12 pm. She had, her boyfriend had not. I had not. I approached the flight board which stated the flight was actually delayed until 4 pm that day. The same time our cruise ship was departing Ft. Lauderdale. There was no announcement regarding the 8 hour delay, no information from employees. I did not even receive an e-mail for another 45 minutes. I only knew because another passenger told me.

We waited in the now extremely long and slow moving line in an attempt to rebook our flight. There were probably at least a hundred other people in our situation (attempting to catch a cruise ship). When finally getting to speak to a Spirit representative we were told there was nothing they could do, and rudely told we should have booked our flight a day earlier. Very helpful in this situation. As an aside, we had booked a cruise the previous October with the flight a day prior to the cruise. Hurricane Matthew ensured our flight was cancelled. Had we booked the day of in that attempt, we most likely would have made it. This was our second attempt at a family cruise. There was no attempt to get us on a different flight, no apologies; just a snarky and uncaring employee.

Luckily we were able to rebook a flight with Delta airlines and made it to our ship with time to spare. It was an upsetting situation made worse by lack of communication on the part of Spirit. We later found out through other passengers the delay was related to mechanical difficulties. A couple hours later we each received a $50 voucher for a future flight on Spirit, which I consider almost an insult. I will NEVER fly Spirit.

We were scheduled on a 7.00am flight out of Orlando to Cleveland, with a layover in Atlanta at 9.30am on April 1, 2017. And no, this is no April Fool's joke. We checked in the day before and got our boarding passes. When we arrived at the counter to check our bags, she printed us out new passes in case they wouldn't scan, free of charge, which was nice. Once we got to the gate, we sat at the gate printed on the pass, and waited, and waited. Twenty minutes before we were set to board, Spirit started boarding a flight to Chicago at our gate. It turned out that our gate was the next one over, which was shown on the screen, so no big deal.

Once we got to the correct gate, there was another issue, where we were expected to have 25 more seats than we actually did. The people at the ticket counter called for 25 volunteers to switch flights, which then took almost another hour just to get people situated with flights and hotels. We boarded the flight at 10.30 am, which was when we were supposed to be in the air towards Cleveland. On We boarded the plane, and it was very apparent that our stewardesses were as frustrated as we were, but they gave excellent service and were very positive, despite their flight being so delayed. The chief stewardess even told us that everyone on the flight would be getting a $50 voucher for a future Spirit purchase. Like we would use it again.

Once we got to Atlanta, those of us who were transferring to Cleveland were told to stay on the airplane to get the next flight going as soon as possible. However, once those departing in Atlanta actually got off the plane, our stewardess told us that unfortunately the gate attendant in Atlanta did not know our plane got downsized from an A320 to an A319, which holds significantly less people. We were told to get off the plane, and we would reboard in about a half hour. When we got off the plane, the screen showed a departure time of 12.01pm. After a quick bathroom break, the screen was turned off, showing no departure time or information about the flight. I wasn't there to hear, but while I was wandering around stretching my legs, they were doing the exact thing they did in Orlando, offering free flights if people move, for another ten or so people.

I walked around with someone from my party, but less than ten minutes after we left the gate, someone else from my party texted us that they were boarding. A half hour after that text, we were actually on the plane. Once we were all sitting, though, there were more and more complications. A girl in a separate party lost her seat and got moved a third time (her seat was moved once during the Orlando mix-up). Her guardian was worried she wouldn't make the flight, and she needed to get back. But they found her a seat. However, then the chief stewardess came on the speaker and announced that we had an unaccompanied minor under 15 who needed to be on the plane, and would someone please give up their seat for her. They were offering a refund for this flight, a free hotel stay, and a round-trip ticket for your next trip with Spirit if they moved.

This was on a Saturday, many people had work/responsibilities to get to on a Sunday, but eventually they guilted the plane enough that someone got up for the child. Many of us believed she should have gotten placed first, to avoid the whole mess. But she got on the plane, and we took off again. Our stewardesses were very frustrated, but took it with stride. I was sat in row 10, where the stewardess stands while she does the safety demo, and my sister held the bag for her on both legs of our flight. She was very funny and understanding to us. She even gave my sister a bottle of water for helping out and because my whole party was so understanding. The flight to Cleveland was alright, we eventually departed at 12.30pm, and got to Cleveland by 3pm.

By now, my party had been up for 12 hours, we were exhausted, and just wanted to be in our own beds again. We went to our luggage carousel, and we waited and waited and waited. It took around 20 minutes for us to get our luggage finally. And at first, luggage went through again and again without getting picked up. But we figured it must have been people making pit stops before getting luggage. Once my party's luggage came through, we were so done and so aggravated. We had just bought a new suitcase, as our old one had broken. It was covered in dents and dirty and looked completely mishandled. Our second bag actually has a tear now in the corner. We bought it for a Christmas trip, used once, and the back corner is completely ripped open. We were so disgusted, but we just went home instead of complaining.

All in all, Spirit was a rough trip, and we will never fly Spirit again. We were offered vouchers that showed up in our email inbox, and we had very high quality service on the flight, but the gate attendant service, and the lack of communication that appeared to be existent between the gates, was very dismal. Many of us were very disgusted with the service we got and the delays. Other parties had family/guests waiting for them in Cleveland, and the 12 hour total travel time just seemed outrageous to us. Never again.

SPIRIT CANCELED FLIGHT COST ADDITIONAL $650.00. NOT WORTH THE INITIAL SAVINGS. Thursday March 28, after 2 delay notices, arrived at LAS, for a delayed BWI flight that was finally scheduled to leave at 1a.m. Checked luggage, arrived at gate only to hear an announcement "Your flight has been canceled. Please go back and pick up your baggage and go back to check-in for additional information." While waiting back in check-in line they announced that due to the weather flight was canceled, and there were NO ADDITIONAL FLIGHTS UNTIL SUNDAY OR MONDAY, and since the cancellation was due to weather, it was your problem what you were going to do for the next 4-5 days until they had a flight available, that they would not offer any assistance, nor pay for hotels, or help with referral to another airline.

People toward the middle/end of line were advised no flights until Tuesday (5 DAYS LATER). Meanwhile right next to Spirit, American Airlines and Southwest flights were taking off as normal with no weather notices. They refuse to give an explanation of where the weather was bad or how other airlines were able to make it through the supposed bad weather. They only wanted to know do you want a refund for 1/2 of your trip or do you to re-book for 4 DAYS LATER. After using up 70% of my smartphone power I was able to find another flight out for AN ADDITIONAL $650,00. That left a few hours later with NO WEATHER PROBLEMS, and that was after calling 3 other airlines. Spirit cancelled 2 full flights to BWI AND ATL at the same time. One couple had to fork out an additional $1,300 to get home. A soldier was scrounging up money so he could afford to pay for his $583 ticket as he had to report for duty on Sunday.

No matter how cheap Spirits flights may be, taking a chance that this might happen again is not worth the savings. The lack of empathy and assistance was galling. Imagine being stuck in the airport at any time let alone 1a.m., without a computer, trying to find a way home. It's the end of your vacation, you may have spent more than you planned, and now because it's the last minute, you've got to pay more than triple just to get home. There was a family of 4 that simply couldn't afford to pay an additional $2,400, and was having problems finding a flight that could take 4 people. They are probably still in the airport, as most of the major airlines were completely booked for Friday, and several only had 1 or 2 seats for Saturday.

There should be some type of penalty involved. This ruined vacation for a few hundred passengers. This appeared to be par for the course for the Spirit employees. One of the employees made the comment, "Ya'll are complaining now, but we'll see some of you back in a couple of months." All I can say is NEVER again.

Spirit Airlines needs to stop saying that they are cheaper than other airlines. That's a lie!!! It's false advertising! The only thing they don't charge you for is the air you breathe while in their presence. I can't believe they charge $2.75 for a 16 oz. bottle of freaking water! How dare they?! What's worst is charging for a lousy tiny bag of peanuts! I recently used them to carry my fiance from L.A., Ca. to Tx. and back. We both are so pissed with Spirit that we have vowed to NEVER use them again! I had to pay $100 for her extra bag or they were NOT going to let her go back to L.A. She was lucky I just wanted to wait till I knew she had taken off before leaving the airport.

5 minutes before boarding, she finds out that they don't want her to board without paying $100 for the bag that everyone else said was fine to go. Their policy of how much and if you have to pay for how many bags is confusing. It is NOT clear online. Now I know. It's $45 online, $55 at the kiosk and $100 at the gate! Now, what really bothers me is that the supervisor at the ticket booth told me that they never allowed any bags to go on board without paying for them. This happened on March 28, 2017 at DFW, Tx. I had to use my credit card to pay so my fiance could get on her flight home. If I didn't or couldn't pay, she would have been stuck here and they would have voided her flight and the money I paid to get her here and back.

They need to stop charging for everything and especially their high prices for baggage handling. No one else charges what they charge. That's where they make up for their "LOW FARE" theory. Their customer service is not good either. I'm through with EVER dealing with them EVER again. Burn me once, shame on them, burn me twice, shame on me!!! Do yourself a favor and save the drama, aggravation and frustration. Use ANY other airline!!! They will be worth the difference in price and believe me, it won't be much difference. You might actually save some thru other airlines. At least they don't charge you for EVERYTHING!!! Save time, money, frustration, pain, and your sanity. Choose some other airlines!

My wife was diagnosed with cancer and had to start chemo and radiation which prevented us from going on our trip. I contacted Spirit to try and cancel and the only thing they offered was to charge me more to reschedule in the next few weeks. She will be going through this for quite a while so that was not even an option. They would not even cancel the hotel when their email stated the hotel policy to cancel within 72 hours of the trip date. We will never spend another dime on Spirit as they have shown how cheap they truly are.

Yesterday was a very long day. I should have looked at reviews before we booked. The flight to Orlando 3/18/17 actually was on time. Now for my long day yesterday, 3/25/17 from Orlando to Minneapolis, that was a nightmare! Our flight was to leave at 330pm. Right before we were to board, they switched gates on us. Then 10 minutes later, they delayed our flight till 10 pm. Then few minutes later, they delayed us until 1130 pm. Wow, they told us one plane had mechanical issues (Sounds like this is a recurring problem over and over again). What they actually did to us, is switch gates, and give our plane and flight to another gate, because they had connecting flights, and would affect more people.

Well what about us. We paid for our flight, and bags and seats. Spirit had one mad pissed off crowd. So delay us for 8 hours and give us a stinking food voucher for $7. Really, said it was good anywhere in airport. Well guess what, not everywhere. LOL talking with staff at airport sounds like this happens all the time. It was a long day and when they found us a plane, then they had no crew to fly it... Just a bad experience, to end a great vacation. Never flying Spirit again!!!

I am writing this to voice a complaint against Spirit Airlines. We were schedule to depart Latrobe airport on Spirit (1st time to use Spirit) on Friday 2/3/2017, confirmation code **, flight 863 to Orlando. We waited in line at the airport over an hour and the only thing the airport staff could tell us was that there was no crew and they had no idea if or when there would be a crew! Knowing there was not a crew available for this flight is something that should have been brought to the attention of all the ticketed customers immediately via email the day before or at least that morning. Instead as we waited in line, Spirit's site was still telling us the flight was on time!

We were extremely inconvenienced by this entire debacle. We were forced to drive to Pittsburgh airport and find a flight to Orlando and pay an exuberant amount of money for the last minute flight. I also feel we should be compensated in some way for our inconvenience and extra expenses. Will never take the risk to fly Spirit ever again!

My mother flew from Myrtle Beach to Dallas and was charged $55 due to her bag being "overweight". When flying out of Dallas she did not get this charge but flying out of Myrtle she did. When I called to address that she didn't leave with anything extra and she was here because of a funeral they had no concern and didn't want to help in any way and stated "the airport made a mistake not Spirit". Last time I checked they work for Spirit. I have flown with Spirit several times and I WILL NOT fly with them again. If you want horrible customer service and hidden extras fly Spirit. Spend the extra to fly with the real Airlines.

Dear future travelers... only use Spirit Airlines if you don't have anything to do. Make you reserve 2 days of travel departing and on arrival or else you will be sorry. On 3/18/17 flight 574. Ft Lauderdale to Tampa has been delayed 6 times (Yes. Present tense. I am currently in the airport). When they finally got us situated into a plane they claimed they couldn't take off because they were waiting for a flight attendant. Really? It's a 30 minutes flight. I think we could do without the drinks or peanuts.

Then after waiting 1.5 hours, they load us off because the plane was having a maintenance issue; seriously? I was originally supposed to be in Tampa by 10pm I believe. Well I forgot since they changed times 6 different occasions. Now we are expected to arrived at 0005 hours. The money/peanuts saved on this airline is not worth the frustration. From the looks of it this is normal practice for them. Did I mention I was traveling with a 2yr old and a husband who acts like he is 6? Spirit airlines... you will never see any of my money ever again. I will make sure that people in my circle, social media, CO workers, family, etc. will Not use your Mickey Mouse service ever!!!

The flight coming was ok except for the unprofessional flight attendants. They were too busy laughing around and playing to do anything about the bathroom door not locking properly. A lady walked in on my husband and he was so embarrassed. When my husband said something to the effect that if the flight attendants weren't so busy playing around, maybe the problem would have been taken care if. The flight attendant got in his face and told him, "Sir, we are flight attendants, not bathroom monitors." Very rude and didn't help at all to make an embarrassing moment better.

Now, to the real problem... coming home. Our flight was canceled about 5 minutes before boarding due to mechanical issues. So we all go downstairs to rebook. Keep in mind this is an early morning flight, 2am. So, waiting in line, the lady did move all the families with kids to the front, which was nice. We get to the attendant and she helps us with a flight that goes from Las Vegas to El Paso to DFW... great!! They gave us a hotel overnight.

We get up this morning to find out that there is no connecting flight from El Paso to DFW. The lady intentionally booked us this flight, knowing we had no connecting flight further than that. She just wanted to get us out of her hair!! I couldn't believe the dishonesty that took place. Not only did this happen to us, it happened to several other passengers as well. What if we wouldn't have had the financial means to book another flight home from El Paso. She absolutely did not care about what happened to us when we got to El Paso. The attendant this morning was much more helpful, her name was Nisa. They did take care of us and for now, we are set on a flight home later this evening. I would not recommend this airline at all. I myself will never again fly such an unprofessional airline that seems as though it trains it employees to just deal with the problem, even if it's dishonest and hurtful to the customer.

SPIRIT AIRLINES HAS SUNK TO AN ALL NEW LOW. My son purchased a round trip ticket to travel from his home to mine to meet his brand-new niece. The trip was planned and paid for a month in advance. On the night before the trip, my son checked in and received a confirmation number, indicating that his check-in was successful.

On March 10, 2017, the morning of his flight, my son got a ride to the airport and attempted to print out his checked-in ticket from the kiosk. Despite using his confirmation number, he continually received an error code. When he stepped to the counter to speak with an employee, he was told that he had not checked in and that he would not be able to board the plane. He showed the employee the confirmation email on his cellphone, but was still informed that he had not checked in. He was also told, a second time, that he would not make the flight, even though the flight was not set to leave for another 25 minutes.

My son contacted me to let me know that they would not allow him on the plane. He stated that he was told he did not have a seat. They also informed my son that he would not receive a refund of the money spent on the roundtrip ticket. He had paid $78.00 for the ticket and is out the cost for both legs of the trip. My question was how could they not have a seat for him, when he had confirmed he would be there for the flight.

I immediately went online and noticed that there were, in fact, no seats available. This confirmed to me that they had sold my son’s seat to another passenger. They not only sold my son’s seat, but now they are refusing to refund the money that my son had already paid for the seat. It is inconceivable how the company can retain my son’s money after selling his seat to another passenger. By selling my son’s seat, that have mitigated any loss they may have experienced by refunding my son’s $78.00.

Since the airline sold my son’s seat, they should reimburse him his money. The cost of the round-trip ticket is $78.00. They should reimburse the entire cost, because my son missed the first flight when the crew sold his seat, and therefore he has no use for the return flight either. The airline can just as well sell that seat.

I was trying to fly my daughter and new 2 month old grandson out to visit for a week from Wisconsin and when they arrived after a 2+ van ride to airport they were in line and were told the flight had been canceled no reason. I spend an hour on the phone trying to get them to a safe place, paying for them to get back home in Wisconsin and an hour on the phone. They changed their flight to Wednesday same time. Well needless to say $$ spent and frustration. They got a van ride back to MSP 2+ hours. Waited over 3 hours and got several emails saying it would be delayed but they promised me it would fly to Los Angeles. LAX was canceled again. I was told I would get vouchers several time for $125 and 2 for $25 and when I called back they said they Never said that and I was told that on Wed also.

If just my daughter was flying I guess I would not be so outraged but when u have a baby 2 months old, luggage, a car seat and not helped with any motel room compensation or no apology or nothing I feel like I was treated like a piece of **. NEVER fly with SPIRIT again and I hope others will boycott them due to disrespectful customer relations... NO customer relations should I say.

My husband and I were supposed to fly from New Orleans to Los Angeles today at 6:24 pm. The flight was delayed for reasons unknown and we are still sitting here at 8:30 pm. This is awful. This airline has such bad rating, why doesn't it get cancelled?

I paid more for this flight than I've paid in other airlines, then last min. was charged for carry on, seat. Ended up being far more expensive than with other airlines! The whole experience was a complete cluster **. I will never fly Spirit again.

I flew Spirit 4 years ago. I remember it being horrible due to late flight, charging me for my carry on, rude staff (it's not their fault) & I swore I would never fly them again. Well, I didn't keep the promise. I booked them for the last little leg of my flight coming back to the US from S Amer. After over 30 hours in flight with other airlines & getting ready to board the Spirit flight. I find out my Spirit flight is cancelled the last minute. No explanation, no offers of refund, no help to figure out what our next move could possibly be. Then we go to the customer service office to get our bags that we had prechecked. The office was locked, no one to be found to help. There were multiple people needing to get their bags & the office was closed??? We pounded on the door & finally someone came out (who was hiding in another room). I will never fly them again. I will tell everyone to boycott.

I had an unexpected family emergency. I went online to cancel my reservation. The cost of two tickets to Ft. Lauderdale was $479. Upon cancellation I was left with a 209 dollar voucher that I was told had to be used within 60 days. The representative I spoke to when I called said and I quote "Spirit Airlines make no exceptions not even in the case of a death." I would never fly with them and I am out $479 because I would not even consider using the voucher. So long story short read all the reviews not only mine but 99% of other review are negative. A sale not always a sale. :(

This airlines is the absolute worst and I hope with all my heart they go out of business. Do not fly this horrible airlines. I had booked a flight to see my sister and tried to change my $200 tickets and they wanted to charge me $300 to change it!! On the day of my little brother's funeral!!!! Frontier is a much better option than these money hungry dirt bags. None of my seat change fees, baggage fees or ticket fees could be refunded. There is a special place in ** for these kind of people.

BEWARE! Luggage SCAM special the manager Crystal in MCO (Orlando) who is sarcastic and humiliate people to rip off. They Scam to bill you the luggage. If you are going to depart from Orlando then I must advise you to be careful at their counter. Why does Spirit Airlines abuse its passengers? Does she receive commissions for any bag people pay? Be sarcastic and laugh in their back is not for a manager position. We saw you! And your employees what they do to others poor people. Never come back to that airline! I'm a Lawyer and duffle bags have the real measure and size in the store… Check your scale in your luggage scale. The 2 bars in lower give you 1 inch or more to steal the size. Next time you and your company going to have a big class lawsuit. You will see!

I had 2 experiences with Spirit, both terrible. Had a flight from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale. Spirit's own flight status stated that the flight is delayed by almost an hour, so we took our time getting there and at the gate. Still had plenty of time. When we got there, they said that the flight actually was on time and since it was within 45 min before the flight (just barely), they would not check us in. We had a little baby with us and there was just no compassion. I even showed them the status that stated the flight is delayed, and they didn't care.

We had a $400 voucher that expired 2/23/2017. When it was given to me (in Chicago), they told me to make the reservation before midnight 2/23. I tried to use it around 10:30 pm (Chicago time) on 2/23. I was having a hard time on the website, the code didn't seem to work. Tried to call and was having a hard time getting a live person. Tried the website again with more problems. I called the customer service again and waited till I got a live person.

At this time, it was just past 11 pm. I explained the problem and gave them the code. They said that I was putting the code in the wrong place but the code is "no longer valid" because it is past midnight... I told them that it was only a few minutes past 11 pm here in Chicago (central time), not to mention that I actually tried to use it even before 11 pm, but they said that it counts eastern time, and they didn't even acknowledge me trying to use it before 11 pm. I explained that no one told me eastern time and I got it in Chicago. Asked if they could allow me to use it, they wouldn't budge. I even asked to speak to a manager, they sent me to manager Gerald (employee# **), and he also refused. Look, I do understand that this is a discount airline and we shouldn't expect royal treatment, but some of this seems willfully deceitful with no leniency even when they are actually the ones who are at fault. I will look at filing with BBB.

Our flight on Spirit Airlines 386 on 2/19/17 was scheduled to depart from Orlando at 8:45 pm and arrive in Akron-Canton at 11:09 pm. We were informed at about 8:30 pm that there was an issue with the crew so our flight would be delayed until 11 pm. About an hour later we were told that they got new crew members so we would board soon. A little later we were told that unfortunately our flight was canceled. Then a little later we were told that they now had "legal" crew members and we would board shortly, but first we had to all go to any nearby gate to get new boarding passes printed. We boarded at about 11 pm and didn't move. We were told that all the checked luggage had been sent out of the plane through TSA earlier and it wouldn't make it back through security in time to make the departure, so the luggage would arrive the next day.

We arrived at Akron-Canton at about 2 am. There were people in wheelchairs and a lot of small children on our flight. This is not the way to run a business. What really happened with the original crew members? Rumors spread that they were fighting with the pilot. Other rumors were that the crew didn't know that they were supposed to continue on to Akron-Canton and refused. I can understand if a flight is canceled due to dangerous weather or a mechanical issue with the plane, but these reasons are unacceptable. This company and its managers have some serious problems with either overworking/underpaying/abusing employees or it's the employees themselves and they need to be fired.

Spirit Air Company Profile