1.32/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Your airline may owe you up to
$400
Bad airline experience?
You may qualify for a partial refund
You may think there's nothing you can do about delays and cancellations, but you can seek compensation for these and other bad experiences.
Think there's nothing you can do about delays or canceled flights? We'll help you seek compensation-try it for free!

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 9, 2017

2081 Spirit Air Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

So as a background statement, I've only flown Spirit twice (only because I had bought round-trip tickets). Both trips were miserable and I wish I'd chosen another airline. They treated passengers as cattle and almost refused to let my girlfriend board after she checked in using their site. While, there were some staff that "broke the rules" to let her on, that should never happened. It was an issue with their site. Regardless, we decided to put it behind us and enjoy the flight... Well, we thought we would. The plane was as old as they come, the staff was rude and at the end of the flight, they had the opportunity to redeem themselves. They offered free airline miles... At the cost of your social security number... So... Not free?

Anyway, they offered 2500 free miles to anyone who applied for their credit card. I filled out the application and got a (soon to be considered) worthless certificate. The flight attendants were very misleading with their pitch. Apparently, you can't sell them your identity for anything worthwhile, if you don't fly with them frequently. It turns out that I got scammed into giving my identity away on a domestic flight in the USA. Are domestic airlines not subject to some degree of honesty? Do citizens have to be honest, while multi-million dollar corporations are allowed to run rampant with dishonesty? Anyway, don't fly Spirit. They have lots of sneaky fees too.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Terrible experience! No real savings after paying for boarding pass, seat section, drink, snack, carry on, bag. They overbook their flights & close the door 30+ min before scheduled departure... causing people to miss their flights. This is a terrible way to compensate the overbooking!!! Never again!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We fly to the Dominican Republic last month and when I saw we were to fly on Spirit Airlines I was a bit skeptical! I had never heard of this airline and thought, “Oh no I bet it is one of those small planes!” I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the plane and how many people were getting on. The people on the plane were very friendly and worked really hard while we were on the plane. I would fly with them again and wouldn't have a problem telling others to try them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I am SOOO disgusted with Spirit Airlines. They lure you into buying an airline ticket by advertising "cheap" tickets. Well that is a COMPLETE LIE!!! You end up paying more than the other airlines because they have fees and charges for EVERYTHING... And those fees are NOT cheap!!! I'm appalled that this company is allowed to do this and I wish there was a way for every person to know about all their awful fees before purchasing with them. I will NEVER purchase from them again and I will warn everyone I know to avoid their company at ALL COSTS... Literally and figuratively!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

The planes were new and very clean. Not much leg room; seats seemed really small, and I'm an average size person. Ticket price was good but too many fees. Departure and arrival were both on time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

As others have mentioned, the website was impossible to navigate. The customer service number left me on hold for over 15 min per call. Finally I went to the Spirit counter during another trip to the airport. Staff were rude and attempted to charge me the "last minute" baggage fee that I was there to avoid. When I told them that this was the WORST customer service I had ever experienced and left the counter, they cancelled my flight (I did wonder about the smirks as I walked away). They did NOT notify me of this either via email or cell (both were in my reservation). I discovered it after another 12 minute hold with their 800 number. Never, ever again.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I will Never Be sucked into their LOW airfares again. Ended up costing us more than other flights we checked on. Seats were extremely small. Thought we had paid for baggage online both ways, but they charged us another $100 for return flight since we couldn't find our receipt. And luggage can only be 40# not 50# like most other airlines. They were rude and unfriendly.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Spirit is the worst airlines! You think you are saving but you're not. I am done and will never fly with them again! I am a club member and had purchased 4 tickets Chicago to LA. We have a family medical emergency and they will not give us a credit or flight change. So my daughters are going to go without me, not to our liking but we stand to lose a lot of money. We asked them to switch the paid for checked bag to my daughters' name and they will not! They want me to pay 80.00 for the bag to be switched. The bag is bought and paid for, but the person it is under, me, is now not flying and they will not switch it to someone in the party. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! They are the worst!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Awesome! I am so happy with them, as a single mom of teenagers I can say Spirit is the only reason I was able to attend USMC graduation. The low fares, the check in counter were so helpful, and even my bags were handled and not damaged. Fast, friendly, beautiful take off and landings, crew were friendly, my Marine received free bags and included an additional one! The seats were nice, really don't believe the bad reviews. Just a great company both new concept on bags, and they will be successful and my next flight will be with them!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I attempted to check my husband and I in online. The web site was an absolute nightmare, clearly designed to force me to disclose personal information against my will. First, the site had me living in Texas when I live in Oregon. Once I fixed that, the preflight check in process took over 30 minutes and repeatedly stalled when l refused to agree to a $9 fee to join their ridiculous club. When I finally gave in because I was running out of time, they charged me $59.95. I ended up getting charged $62.00 for two bags. I've never had such a bad airline experience in my life. When we arrived at the airport the employees looked and behaved like they were fresh out of high school. The baggage girl actually smirked at me, when I asked a simple question. They didn't care at all about their customers and didn't want to help or answer any questions.

After reading customer reviews they obviously could care less about customer service, it's all about making money. Never again will I fly such an airline that's all about ripping you off. It's like bait and switch. They make you think you are getting a good price and then they have a charge for everything after you book the tickets. By then it's too late. By the time we were finished checking in we had a $160.00 charge. Called customer service. I kept pressing 3 then they said good bye. Called customer service on screen, it was for tech support. Beware flying this airline.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

This is the worst airline for charging extra fares. They brag about being cheap but after you purchase the ticket everything is extra. In addition, most airlines are 50lbs bag weight but they are only 40 but you don't figure this out until you've already spent an extra $80 (because they charge for bags both ways) then they want more money. Worst airline experience of my life.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Before I flew Spirit for the first time this past week I checked out the online reviews, which are, like, 99% terrible. But I did my research, watched the online videos on how to vacuum pack clothes and toiletries, I measured my 18" by 12" x 8" "personal item" three times, and guess what -- I had no problems whatsoever. The flight attendants were super friendly, the seats were super uncomfortable (like 1/4" thick Ikea chairs covered in Naugahyde), and while the legroom wasn't great I've actually sat in smaller airline seats on overseas flights where my knees touched the seat in front of me. I'm only 5'2" so that's something. Spirit's leg room wasn't the worst, however the planes were all very new and I felt safe.

I brought my own snacks. And best of all, since this was personal travel I scored a helluva deal on prices and flew from Pdx to Detroit for $481 all in taxes and everything. For two people! Total. Two adults, round trip = $481 total. I can live with uncomfortable seats. All these people posting negative reviews should get their entitled selves OVER IT. Seriously. This IS NOT British Airways. This is like a flying Bolt Bus. On that note, just like the videos warned there were people on every flight that brought oversized bags and were tagged for the $65 fee at the gate. These were business travelers who had their company buy their tickets at the last minute and had no clue there were extra fees. Research Spirit Airlines before you book your ticket and you will probably have a better experience if you know what to expect.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

They are perfect for smaller, shorter flights. When I need to see friends or family for a weekend they are a nice, cheap alternative. When I had to fly out of state for a funeral, Spirit was the only one not charging an arm or a leg for a flight. Whenever I have had an issue they were always quick to respond to me. Being in the travel industry myself I appreciate them.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

We flew yesterday from LAX to Pit on a plane that had the rock hard, bolt upright, short seated version of a real airline seat. I am a small person and there was no way to be comfortable, especially on a cross country flight. I am not a fan of the fee system, the light baggage requirement, or the fact that you can't get so much as a glass of water without an extra charge, but I do expect a seat that does not inflict pain. They got us to our destination on time and in one piece, which is huge, but I will not be a repeat customer.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I booked a flight for my kids to fly home from college for Thanksgiving and the price dropped from $109 to $79.99 pp one way and $109 to $59.99 the other within 2 days. Spirit really stinks and the website wouldn't let us use our $9 fare club membership or apply any of our reward miles for this purchase. The customer service rep didn't even answer my question and with the long delay has made it pointless. I wanted a price change prior to the charge posting to my Spirit Credit Card - which I'll be canceling because I have yet to find any benefit in having it.

I also experienced technical issues because your website wouldn't allow us to use the $9 fare club we signed up for. We tried calling multiple times and it's impossible to get a customer service rep on the phone!!! This is the 10th round trip fare we have purchased with Spirit and they have never once resolved any of our issues so we are done with Spirit. There are plenty of other airlines we can and will use in the future.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

My husband and I flew out 9/7/17 from Chicago to Cancun and the morning we were leaving they cancelled the second 1/2 of our trip from Dallas to Cancun with telling us the soonest we could get out to Cancun was Monday. Delta to the rescue!! Same exact thing happened when we were flung back on 9/14/17. Absolutely no explanation at all... we will never ever fly SPIRIT AIRLINES again!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I wish I could give a ZERO!! My flight from Minneapolis to Dallas has been canceled and they finally booked us a flight for next day. Their rude and unresponsible staff made us standing in front of check in gate for 4 hours to book a hotel room for non-local passengers, seriously 4 hours!!! We asked them to call a manager a million times and at the end at 10 pm someone (a supervisor) came and told us there is not any hotel available in the area!!! NOW it is 4 AM and we got stuck in this freezing airport!! Really freezing!! We could not even eat something last night because all security gates were closed at 10 pm. I wrote this review to tell you people don't buy tickets from this silly airline. This airline won't take the responsibility of their cancellations and their really rude staff will not even respect you as customer.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I was scheduled to take a %am fit out of Boston on Sept 11th, 2017. The flight was canceled due to bad weather. Customer service then rescheduled a flight the same day from Boston to Myrtle Beach via Cleveland. There were many others on the flight from Boston to Cleveland headed to Myrtle Beach, as well. When we arrived in Cleveland we were informed that the flight to Myrtle Beach was canceled. I was then told that a flight out to Myrtle Beach would not be available until Fri. Sept 15th. After a lengthy discussion, I was told that they would fly me back to Boston (I had a place to stay there) and I rebooked a flight out for Thurs Sept 14th. I was not given a confirmation code nor did I have an email sent to me regarding my flight info. I called the customer service line and the message was the wait would be about 40 minutes.

For those trying to reach Spirit - use selection #4, as it is for new reservations. That wait time was only 1 minute. I spoke to customer service and wanted info on my flight and how to get my boarding pass printed out at home. I was informed that I had to do it at the kiosk the next morning. I spent about 30 minutes trying to explain to the rep that I just wanted my seat assignment. I purchased a big seat and wanted to know if a refund would be given if I was not able to have a big seat available to me. I was told that I was given a big seat the previous flight and that they would no longer honor my seat request. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told that no one could help me from the call center, that I would have to go to the airport and stand in line and have my flights rescheduled.

I explained that I suffer from chronic pain and that standing is very hard for me. I need a wheelchair and would prefer to do this via phone. I was then told that my only option was a refund. When I asked again for a supervisor to the supervisor of the supervisor, the girl hung up on me. An hour later, I was sent an email that my flight to Myrtle Beach was canceled for Sept 14. I called customer service again, this time I was told there was bad weather anticipated in Myrtle Beach and the flight needed to be canceled. This was not true. Then I was told that there was mechanical difficulty. Again, I had to explain my situation and was told that I qualified for a refund. The customer service rep said that no, I did not qualify. I was offered a flight again to Cleveland then to Myrtle Beach. The problem was, I saw that the flight to Cleveland was canceled as well. (it is no wonder) Spirit had a lot of customers stranded in Cleveland going to Myrtle Beach.

I saw a flight to Baltimore then onto Myrtle Beach, but, was told, that was not possible to do via phone, I would have to go to the ticketing area at the airport. As I was talking to customer service, my son found a flight with American Airlines. I explained that and asked for a refund. I was then told, I did not qualify since I was not able to take the available flights offered to me via Spirit. Really - they wanted me to wait another week? Are you kidding me? The customer service staff are poorly trained, is not user-friendly and very limited in knowledge of their industry. There is a real lack of caring and concern for the customer. If you are considering Spirit as an airline please think again.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

They are rude before you even get on the plane. Lady at gate said I was being called overhead to board. I did not hear anything. Then she yelled at me saying, "Where were YOU??" I ignored her and got on the plane. We sat for another 10 minutes waiting on others to board. I wonder if she yelled at them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Beware booking a flight with this airline, as they have fees galore that they absolutely will not waive, no matter what. Their customer service team all sound like emotionless psychopaths with no soul. There is nothing they can do for you, as the customer. Once you sign your soul to them, they could care less about your experience. They do not intend to create recurring customers by satisfying first timers. They just want to book their flights, and charge for everything else above and beyond the seat.

I don't see how this business model is presumed to be sustainable. I would imagine they bust and go out of business inside of 5 years, but then again... There are a lot of people for them to scam yet... They are betting their survival on it. Trust me... They are not in business to serve anyone other than themselves. Be warned. The ticket looks CHEAP, but there are all sorts of hidden fees that will add up to the price of any other superior, tested and true airline. Stay away from SPIRIT!!! It is NOT CHEAP. It will end up costing you more!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I bought a flight ticket from Spirit for the 13 of September for Puerto Rico, after being stuck in Orlando because of hurricane Irma, since the 7 of September. After making the purchase, I notice it moved to the 14 of September, and right away I logged in to try to change the date for the for the 13 which was the original date I selected and it was asking me for another $90 freaking dollars for the change!!

I tried calling customer service and it takes you to an automatic voice message; no answer from a customer service representative at all. Now, if I select the option for new reservation, somebody picks up the phone right away!! I feel like I am being scammed by these people. How is it possible that an airline is free to prey on the people in the open like that??? I ended up paying for a total of $315 for a one-way ticket for PR, plus $90 for changing the date to the one I selected at first, but was moved to the 14 for some reason! This airline is a big fraud and something needs to be done about it!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I had the displeasure of using them a couple of times now. There is zero customer support. They encourage you to use their awful website where you cannot really do anything. I booked 3 flights online - all 3 times, I never received a confirmation email - not in spam or anywhere. I had to call in to make sure it was booked - it was. They said they would make sure to email me the reservation. Never did. Another call to them (hold time 30 mins-1hour) to speak to a rep who clearly doesn't speak English. The second time I ended up booking the same flight twice because I never got a confirmation email and assumed it was an error on my side. Nope, they just suck that bad. The lines at the airport are absurd. I HATE HATE HATE this airline. Never again. I hope they go out of business.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

We were 1 hour late getting into our destination and no one was in place at the gantry to help unload us. We didn't receive any snacks too. And a bottle of water cost $3.00.. and tray tables were so small. You couldn't put your electronics in front of you. The backs of every chair were stripped down to add more seats. Very uncomfortable. And last but not least baggage fees were astronomical.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Everything about the flight itself was ok, but my granddaughter was supposed to return home with me. Her mother was in ICU and she wanted to stay with her, understandably. However, Spirit made it impossible for me to get a refund for her flight, which was not used. They said my daughter had to sign a paper proving she was ill. She was on a ventilator and could not speak. She was in a coma!! How unfair is this? They said, "That's the rules," and that was the end of it. They owe me for a flight that was never used. I hesitate to fly with them anymore because of the way they treated me. I still haven't gotten a refund.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Spirit Air canceled our flight 2 hours before take off on Monday Sept 4th - for no reason! Not only did they cancel our prepaid flight, they’re booked us to Houston TX in the middle of the disaster!!! Are they serious? We were headed to Orlando FL (way ahead of the hurricane). Why in the world would they cancel at the last minute and then book us to Houston TX? NEVER EVER AGAIN will we use Spirit Airlines. I strongly encourage everyone to NEVER use this company.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

My family and I planned a trip to Puerto Rico from Sept 22-Sept 30 with Spirit Air. Due to Hurricane Irma affecting 1 million people in PR we need to cancel this trip. Obviously, I cannot control catastrophic disasters however Spirit Air is not willing to provide us with a 100% refund even after knowing the effect it has on PR. For heavens sake, the airport are all closed completely! I find that ridiculous and so very inconsiderate considering the impact that the hurricane has left behind.

Just because you offer cheap airfare does not mean that your customer service should be cheaped out as well. Do not book with this airline as the only thing that matters to them is the money. There is no care about the customer whatsoever! This is the absolute last time we use Spirit. This is sad for them because that is 8 customers they just lost due to their greed!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

This is the worst airline I have ever flown, they will nickel and dime you for just about anything. You will be charged for your e-ticket if a staff member prints it. Even water, coffee and tea is charged, which should be complimentary. The fees for each piece of luggage is outrageously high and the carry-on is charged even more. My husband's id was verified on checking on the departing flight, but not mines at all. And on the return flight only my id was referred in check in but not my husband's. Quite contradictory.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I went to check in for my flight 09/06/17 and their check in machines were down. Both of them. Had to get in line at the counter. 2 people ahead of me and no counter personnel. By the time they came to wait on us and got to me I missed my flight. No refund no compensation no nothing and I spoke to Sissy who was top manager as she stated but she did nothing. I will never fly with them again. They are a horrible company who doesn't care about their customers who they wrong because they will always have other customers who fly with them no matter what people say about them. Unless people stop using them I know they probably won't read this and definitely won't care but I am putting this out there anyways.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I have travelled all over the world and flew Spirit for the 1st time... I would never ever fly again if they gave me a free ticket. Sat on plane for 2 hrs. and no one told us why and finally said the reason and then did not even offer us a glass of water. Many people got off the plane to not return but I had to be where I was going to Detroit... It was a nightmare... And by the time I paid for baggage, etc. it was no bargain and the crew looked like the cleaning people.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

We booked a flight to Las Vegas for our anniversary thinking we were getting a great deal on our flight. The cost to ship luggage, any snacks and or drinks, was an additional cost. Other people on the flight were loud and obnoxious and unruly--obviously intoxicated and the stewardesses did nothing about it. They were NOT helpful at all. Then, a year later, I had fraudulent activity on my checking account from Spirit Airlines. I have NO financial affiliation with Spirit Airlines what-so-ever, including credit cards, etc. SUPER DISSATISFIED & UNHAPPY! Never use SPIRIT AIRLINES!

Spirit Air Company Information