1.13/5

Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

pricing, allowing them to pay only for the options they want – things like bags, seat assignments and refreshments. With our Fit Fleet™, one of the youngest fleets of any major U.S. airline, we operate more than 460 daily flights to 65 destinations in the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2239 Spirit Air Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I was physically abused at Ft. Lauderdale Airport by a supervisor- she kicked my bags with her feet whilst on camera, while I was attempting to zip my luggage. She didn’t allow me on my flight and called me aggressive. I was kneeling, while Spirit Air's supervisor stood over me on camera - tormenting me - saying how I wouldn’t be allowed to get on my flight - she wouldn’t allow me to pay for “extra luggage” and lied in her report saying I had 4 bags while I only had one bag and a personal item. She lied and forced me to fly United, which I paid $300 for. I was not rescheduled or refunded. I wrote BBB. Spirit.com/help and also wrote to guest services and no one has reached out to help me. This isn’t a new issue for Spirit Air! I walked outside and the VERY FIRST PERSON who spoke to me on my journey, since I wasn’t allowed to board my flight was ALSO not allowed to board a Spirit flight, even worse - she was kicked off and humiliated.

It seems Spirit Air employees think it’s okay to use their power to belittle their guest. They also call their flights “cheap” while on board the aircraft, and say if consumers want better service we should pay more for another airline. Worst service ever in my life - I’m thinking about getting legal counsel for this matter due to the physical violence, and nature of the embarrassment I suffered. My name is Maiya ** and my confirmation number was **. I am highly disgusted by the supervisor who kicked my things with her foot and wouldn’t give me her name or badge number. She was supervising gate G11 at 8 pm at FLL Airport. Airport cameras will show her shoving my bags with her foot, as well as ripping my ticket in half while other employees were trying to help me. Very embarrassing - NOT the way to handle customers. Since when is it policy to rip boarding passes in half in front of crowds of people? Please advise!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

My husband and I booked a flight with Spirit Airlines to fly from Minneapolis to Los Angels 11/9/18 for short weekend trip. Our flight was supposed to leave Minneapolis at 6:20 pm, but at 6 pm we were notified that our flight was delayed due to belt issue. We were not informed when the next flight will be. After 30 mins, we were told that next flight will be at 7:20. Around 7:15, we were told that the issue is not resolved and 7:20 departure was highly unlikely. The customer rep person couldn’t give us estimated time of departure. We were unsure what the belt issue was. There were at least 200 people waiting to board this flight and no explanation was given why it was delayed and when we can leave. Then, around 8:15, we were notified that flight is cancelled. The lady stated that the plane is missing belt for the pilot and they were waiting for a flight from Fort Lauderdale to come in at 12:30am.

She stated that the belt will be replaced and flight will depart approximately 1:30am. This upset many people waiting for hours and people who had reservations like my husband and I. Our reservations of car and hotel will only be held till 1:30-3:00am. We were told by the car and hotel that if we arrived after that window then we will have to wait till later in the morning for car and 3p for hotel check in. We still had to pay for the one night of hotel we would miss. Spirit reps did not apologize to the customers, nor did they seem empathic to people’s situation. One lady was going to her mother’s funeral and would not make it. Emotions were high and people were upset and the only thing spirit would offer were meal vouchers. I am 7 months pregnant and this is the only time my husband and I can go on vacation before our baby arrives.

I was beyond upset, angry and frustrated with their lack of respect for people’s time, plans and emotions. They dismissed people and offered stupid excuse for belt issue. The pilot came out and said that “his safety was important”, he was very insensitive and only cared about himself. No one said we didn’t care about his safety. There was apology given at any point during this situation. Then when people requested their meal vouchers there was only one working computer. The customer reps, manager, pilot were extremely rude and lacked any type of professional skills. This was my first time attempting to fly with Spirit and I WILL NEVER IN MILLION YEARS FLY AGAIN. I understand somethings might be out of their hands, but offering explanation and sympathizing with their customers, listening to our complaints and offering a solution would have helped the situation.

SPIRT EMPLOYEES NEED PROFESSIONAL training on how to talk to customers or people in general. We request to get a refund and we were told that it will take 5-7 days for full refund. We will make sure to get our refund. We were also told that they gave us $200 flight voucher if we want to fly with them again. I read some reviews on online and some people said their vouchers are fake and won’t work. I will have an issue if that’s the case for us. Overall the worst 1st time experience with them and we didn’t even board their flight.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

October 26th 2018 I had a flight leaving LGA to DAL-TX, which the tickets were purchased weeks in advance and printed out at the airport the day of the flight. My flight was at 1:30 PM as I arrived to the airport at 12:30 PM making it through security for 1:00 PM and arriving to the terminal (D2) which my flight was boarding at roughly 1:05 PM. When I arrived to check in for my 1:30 PM flight at 1:05 PM I was declined entry to the plane and told the plane gas filled up. They sold our seats! They said because we did not have assigned seats yet, even though we paid, it was a first come first serve policy.

Are you serious?! What kind of business operates like this?! Still no refund and I may add, there were fourteen other passengers that were denied entry as their seats too, have been sold to other customers. Spirit airlines should issue full refunds or shut down. It is a scam. They claim to be so cheap because they simply rob their customers. Don’t ever waste your time and/or money with Spirit, as you can see, not one positive review.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I was supposed to fly from LAX-DFW to be present for my grandfather's open heart surgery. When I got to the counter, it was 50 mins before take off. I just needed to drop off my bag but was told that I could board but my suitcase could not despite already paying for it to be checked. The manager told me if I wanted to empty my suitcase contents into trashbags she'd let me go as my flight was now 15 mins to take off. She told me she would let the agents at the gate know that I was I on the way so I rushed through security with my belongings in a trash bag that was falling apart. When I got to the gate, it was 10 mins to take off and the gate was closed and no agents were present at my specific gate. I went and asked other Spirit agents to please contacts the agents that were responsible for boarding my flight and my just looked at me and laughed. I will never fly Spirit again if THIS is the type of experience I am paying for.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

October 14, 2018 Sunday morning my boyfriend and I made it to the airport an hour early before our flight from LaGuardia to Ft.Lauderdale only to be told that we forfeited our flight because we didn’t check in. But my boyfriend checked in online and we told them that we did but they wasn’t trying to hear us or even understand. Their customer service was the absolute worst and the crooks charged us an additional $198 to get on the next flight later that day. Unbelievable! When we requested to speak to a manager or supervisor we were lied to and was told that there wasn’t one on duty. Even more outrageous! Then my boyfriend called Spirit’s customer service line and finally spoke to someone after being on hold for over half an hour. He was constantly being told that there was nothing Spirit can do by what sounded like a person that can barely speak English.

They kept changing their guidelines and policies and talking in circles. At this point we’re both infuriated. My boyfriend went back to the counter and raised all kinds of hell to the point that the manager, (that we were told wasn’t present at the time mind you), came out to address the problem. Or so we thought. My boyfriend explained the situation and how the female ticket agent blatantly lied to his face about management being unavailable. She then blatantly lied again and said she never said that I guess to save her job LOL. Ridiculous! Then the best solution that the manager Joe can come up with is that instead of paying $198 he cut the price in half to $99. Really wasn’t doing us any favors. Thank God we didn’t have to pay those crazy baggage fees or I think we would’ve lost it. And then it gets worse. That was just going.

Upon returning from Ft.Lauderdale to LaGuardia we managed to get our bags through thank God but beforehand our plane was delayed an hour due to some poor excuse. Then when we boarded the plane we’re sitting on it for almost another hour before taking off. The seats were hard and unbearable. Didn’t recline at all. Complete torture! And we refused to pay $3 for a fun size water which in my opinion should be free for the terrible service they dish out.

I was scared of having to use the bathroom because (1) having to get past anyone to get to the aisle would’ve proven impossible and (2) I figured their cheap behinds would’ve had some kind of a pay toilet. Then the flight attendants wasn’t very welcoming or hospitable. The only good experience I had flying with Spirit is the fact that upon returning I was able to finally get the hell off that plane in one piece. My boyfriend and I as long as we both shall live will NEVER EVER fly Spirit again. I guess they’re called Spirit because they actually expect you to sell your soul to fly with them. Don’t do it. It isn’t worth experiencing hell with wings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Violating ADA rights, horrible airline. I have a letter from my doctor affirming my need for my emotional support animal. However, Spirit decided to have their own forms that need to be filled out by the doctor and a veterinarian. It seems that they are just adding hoops to decline people that have a need for an emotional support animal just to squeeze them for more money. I am never flying Spirit again if I can avoid it!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

The online travel service I use to book my flight originally book me on Jet Blue, for some unknown reason I later in day received an email my returning flight is on Spirit. Well I miss my flight unfortunately Jet Blue, They were accommodating for a nominal fee to reschedule for another date. Now for my nightmare SPIRIT, paid $129.00 for this ticket 1 way. I check online before calling. Now I want to reschedule for another date and they want an additional $120.00, that's I will be paying $249.00 for a 1 way fare that value $126.19 listed on their website. How would you rate your experience WITH Spirit? -0-0-0- How is that?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

The way I was treated by your airline is horrendous. I have traveled the world for over 20 years and cannot believe how horribly I was treated!!! I got up at 4 AM PST packed for my flight – worked all day... Left San Diego on the 8:16pm flight - flew to Las Vegas was on a two-hour layover went to board the plane for my red eye flight to Columbus Ohio (my hometown). The gate agent refused to let me board because she said I smelled like alcohol and my eyes were bloodshot. Again I have been up since 4 AM worked all day. It was 11:30PM PST, I was exhausted. I did not have any alcohol on the flight from San Diego to Las Vegas. My eyes agreed were bloodshot because I was already exhausted from being up for more than 20 hours and I sat in the smoking cage inside the airport having a few cigarettes.

I did have one Stella at the airport which my credit card will prove. To be denied boarding simply because my eyes were bloodshot, and I smelled of one drink is incomprehensible. Your airline has caused much heartache for me and trauma, I missed my cousin’s wedding in Ohio my hometown which I haven't been back to for a long time as well as missed precious memories with my family that also flew in from all over the country for the wedding. I also missed my high school reunion that was on Saturday night (again life-long friends that flew in drove in from all over the country as well.). What you took away from me is indescribable heartbreak and a horrible way to treat a customer!!! I immediately requested the desk clerk who wrongfully profiled me and was leaving me abandoned in another state at midnight since there were no other flights to call security. They came and even said that I was fine to fly.

They tried to get me on the flight and she said “too late. We already closed the doors.” Apparently, she agreed to them to refund my flight and admitted guilt and apologized to them NOT ME! I received the refund this morning of $136.17, which isn’t close to the amount of my ticket, the Uber rides the rental car I missed and was charged for, the Southwest flight home back to San Diego of $250 plus, the spending the night in another state, the mental and physical stress you have put me through. I advise you to come up with a better monetary number to compensate me for the HORRIBLE treatment by your staff by your airline. I am reaching out to you first, if this is not resolved satisfactorily, I have many colleagues some I call friends in the media NBC, CBS, whom I am sure would love to hear my heartbreaking story.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

The girl at the counter today Oct 15, at 3:50 pm was so rude and nasty EVERY time a customer would come to the counter with questions. She was not only chewing gum like a cow but also making rude faces if a customer try to ask a basic questions. She was acting like she was working for free or hated her job

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

If you already booked with them and spent your money whatever you do DO NOT MISS YOUR FLIGHT!!! I showed these heartless crooks release papers an hour and a half after missing my plane that my dad was in the hospital who also was booked with us on the flight. They wanted to charge me $100 per person for a same day late check in, in order to re-book. Okay that's steep but it's barely reasonable. Only problem was that I have 4 people total with me. That's $400 dollars they wanted me to pay at the counter, I couldn't have someone pay online or over the phone. No they only accept payment at the counter. Customer service lied said the people at the counter are there 24 hours and the people at the counter said they're only there at until 9:30. I was literally at O'hare Airport for 5 hours enduring a slow death. Until I finally accepted that I lost close to $800. Please do not risk losing your money with these people.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Spirit Airlines just give out fake vouchers, obviously to curb frustrations of the passengers while they sit dumbfounded at their God awful experience. Spirit Airlines issued me two vouchers to use for future trips after my flight had been delayed, cancelled, and then delayed again for over 12 hours on a 3 hour flight. Turns out that the voucher numbers they gave out were invalid when I attempted to apply them on my future flights.

I spent three days running in circles from numerous calls to their customer service line and was told to go online; and the online information said to call. Round and round, again and again. The representatives over the phone were unable to resolve the invalid issue and directed me to some non-existing list of flights that the vouchers were supposed to apply. Spirit Airline will not honor their vouchers. I gave up in redeeming my vouchers, filed a complaint, and contacted an advocate group **. Hopefully they can get this unethical practice resolved.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I recently flew Spirit from Philly to Vegas. Very dirty terminal in Philly and on the plane dirty napkins and bottles all over floor, I purchased a 1st class seat and it had holes and would not recline!!! The seat was very hard and it was a 5.5 hr trip so needless to say I was very uncomfortable and flight attendants were also very rude. I am not sure if I would fly this airline again!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I purchased a round-trip ticket from Tampa to Houston and had my boarding pass printed and ready to go. Paid for check in and carry on bag on both flights. I arrived on Friday to depart and they wanted me to pay for a bag that was already paid for. After 30 minutes of waiting for them to check in my luggage, they finally realized that I already paid and checked in. Then I was told that my bag is now late to be checked it at Tampa. After speaking with a supervisor, they finally checked my bag in and I got on my flight. On Monday knowing what had happened in Tampa, I made sure everything was checked in online and got my electronic boarding pass ready.

I arrived early enough so I can drop my bag off for them to check it in as I had already checked and received my boarding pass. I waited in line from 6.05 am and finally got to the counter at 6.40 am. I was then told that they cannot check in my bag because it's past the 30-minute window and to go to the other counter for them to check in my bag late. I asked if I could take the bag as a carry on since it was not a big bag and it fits the dimension of a carry-on and then lady told me that I had to go to the other line. I waited in line again for another 15 minutes to be told now that they cannot check my bag in and that they have to rebook me for another flight and I will have to pay $99 for another flight that will get me to Tampa 12 hours later. I asked to speak with a supervisor and it's been over 40 minutes of waiting for a supervisor as I am writing this review.

Spirit airlines and staff have no value for any one time and the staff are extremely rude and unprofessional and I do not know how they can stay in business. Charging a customer $99 to rebook a flight that they were incompetent is ridiculous and a scam to get money from people and should not be allowed. I will update if and when the supervisor ever shows up. I am beyond frustrated.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Don't waste time, energy or money using this airline!! My boyfriend & I are taking his mother & his two sons to Disneyland. We chose Spirit because of the flight times & price. We get to check out & they tried to up-sell you a ton of add on' & I noticed we didn't have assigned seats. We're taking an 8 & 9 yr old so it's important we sit together. It's $7/person to select a seat, so another $35, but the return trip is $14/person, so we just spent $105 on seats. Annoying.

I got an email 2 days before our flight saying we didn't buy bags. What?? I went online & it's $40 for each checked bag and $45 for a carry-on! And your bag can't weigh more than 40lbs. Not sure why they assume people can take a 5 day trip with just a "personal item the size of a laptop bag or purse to go under the seat in front of you." We had to pay $240 JUST FOR BAGS & had to combine them & still make sure we were under 40lbs. Today, the day before our flight, I get an email of an in-flight menu, snacks & drinks aren't included in the ticket price. WATER IS NOT FREE! Our flights ended up costing $345 more!! UNBELIEVABLE! NEVER FLY SPIRIT AIRLINES!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

While purchasing 2 tickets from Spirit at Cleveland Hopkins airport to return from Las Vegas to Cleveland they did my ticket for $111.00 dollars as the clerk proceeded to do my significant other ticket, she did it under a different confirmation number and tried to charge 260.00 dollars for the exact same seat. After talking to a supervisor I was told to call their toll free number. They told me if the tickets had been purchased under the same confirmation number this would not have happened. They instructed me to file a complaint on their website. I received an email apologizing but refusing to rectify the situation. I am asking anyone else who has had this problem with this illegal and unfair act to please contact me at ** as I am going to small claims and hope to eventually start a Class A action suit against Spirit Airlines for these unfair and illegal practices.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My wife and I fly 3/4 times a year for vacation. Our 1st and 2nd choices are southwest and American, depending on where we are going. However, we needed a late flight and wanting nonstop Pittsburgh to Vegas, we went with Spirit, we upgraded to the big front seats and bags package. The plane was brand new and the crew was very friendly. We enjoyed our flight out and back, only issue was 30-minute delay coming home due to airport traffic in Vegas. We will definitely be flying Spirit again, as long as there are 2 big front seats available.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I am a creature of habit so have always been leery of flying a different carrier. I always use one for their non-stops. Well Spirit advertises for a limited time you can fly non stop to my destination. I fly every 3 months. I know when you see a good flight you need to book immediately so for the first time I decided to buy the travel insurance, as I wasn’t sure if my husband was able to be off in December because of his job and never having flown Spirit. As it turned out he cannot so I called to change to the exact same flights just 2 months later and was told it was going to cost me another $250, even after purchasing the insurance.

The insurance a was only good if you die, become ill, etc. Now, shame on me for not reading the fine print of the multiple page document because all I saw was on the first page of the policy 100% reimbursement on trip cancellation. Again, I’m not wanting a refund. I’m just wanting to take the exact same flight 2 months later. Again, further proving if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn’t true.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I booked a round trip ticket to the United States on Orbitz. I flew JetBlue down to Lima and was to fly Spirit Airlines from Lima, Peru on my departure date. When I initially booked the flight I included the payment for my checked bag. When I received the confirmation, my bag was listed as purchased, yet they did not actually charge me for my bag on my card with the purchase of the flight. When I arrived in Lima, Peru, I checked my reservation online and saw that my bag was not accounted for on my return trip home. I called their 801 number to confirm this and I was told that my bag was not accounted for. So I made a purchase for my bag to return home with me on my scheduled flights. It was more expensive to purchase the bag separately for each flight back, as opposed to purchasing it with the price of the ticket on Orbitz.

I also had to factor in seat fees at this time, which was confusing because I figured by purchasing a ticket I had already secured a seat on the plane. On the day of departure back to the United States from Lima, Peru, I arrived at the ticket counter to check in with my bag. Online check in is not available in Peru and must be done in person. When I purchased my bags online, the email stated that I may be eligible for bag drop, which would bring down the additional fees I'd have to pay for the representatives at the ticket counter to process my bag drop. My flight was scheduled to depart at 10:57pm. The connecting flight I took into Lima was running late, so I scrambled to grab my bag and arrive at the ticket counter. I arrived at the ticket counter over an hour before departure, at 9:45pm, only to find that no one was there. A representative from the airline next to their ticket counter told me that they had left a long time ago.

They closed down their check in counter OVER AN HOUR before departure for this international flight. She told me I could go to their office if I wanted to find someone to speak to. I spent the following 20 minutes searching for this office on the second floor of the airport and waiting outside of the office for someone to answer the door. I asked a security guard for help and I was told that they were all at the gate and no one could help me.

I had to call the 801 number again from my laptop to speak to an outsourced customer service agent who told me that there was nothing she could do to refund my money or even put me on another flight back home, unless I'd pay full price for a new ticket. She told me that she's sorry I missed my flight. I said I wouldn't have missed it if the ticket counter hadn't closed early. Her response to me was, "Well, you arrived only a few minutes before the hour departure." Maybe Spirit Airlines should post that as a disclaimer on their website to be more transparent about their fraudulent business practices. "Check in for international flights and baggage needs to be done at least an hour before departure, but we may decide to close early because we are company that doesn't follow through with our commitments or claims. You will most likely have no idea when we may decide to open or close our ticket counter, but at least we'll have your money."

I called my mother to ask for her help in finding a cheap ticket back home, and she insisted that she call the airline to see if something could be done. In her phone call to the representative, she learned that the ticket counter in Lima was closed at 9:15pm! They closed well before I had even arrived and very well before the one hour mark. Again, there was nothing they could do to help me with this issue. I had flown out of Lima at least three times before this incident, without any issues from other airlines, even up to 45 minutes before departure because of late connections.

I was stranded in South America without a flight home unless I paid full price with Spirit again. I told them that if I had to buy another ticket home, it wouldn't be with them and that I would never purchase a ticket with them again. They received $496 from me through their shady business practices. I highly suggest that anyone who is considering finding a deal on an affordable flight, work to find any other airline than Spirit Airlines, even if it's a bit more costly up front. I've flown on numerous flights throughout my life and have had a few issues with airlines, yet, I have never experienced pure deception like this from any airline company. It is wrong and they should be held accountable. I also highly suggest that if you have experienced an issue similar or just as deceptive and fraudulent with Spirit Airlines, that you file a formal complaint with the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The more people complain about this issue, the more it is brought to light. Also, the more trouble it is for Spirit Airlines to work to address each complaint from the US Department of Transportation, as it will cost them more of their time, money, and resources to do so. Lastly, I'd like to express that I don't write reviews on anything because I firmly believe in keeping negative views and opinions to myself if I don't like something or had a negative experience. I like to believe that if I had an unpleasant experience, it may have just been a rough day for that person or business and that expressing more negativity will only bring down that person's or business' morale and some experiences deserve a second look. I also don't have much time to review things I buy, eat, do, or fly, yet I do rely on reviews for input as to whether a service or good is a decent experience or smart investment.

I am writing this review of Spirit Airlines to expose their deception in my situation so that someone else may be spared the same experience. Luckily, I got home over 24 hours later on a flight with Air Canada, yet I can't imagine what would have happened had I not been able to drop an additional $630 to make that trip back home with another airline.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I've had 2 experiences that have cost me a total of $400. I scheduled a round trip from Detroit to Las Vegas and back in December 2017 to go home for Christmas. I then found out that my crew was driving to Vegas a couple of days before my flight. I called to try to get my tickets turned into credit at a later time and was told no. They said I would forfeit my tickets or have to pay $100 each to modify the dates on both tickets to use them later. I lost $254 for nothing.

I also just had a round trip from Philadelphia to Vegas and back that I couldn't insure because it would have been for work reasons. I flew to Vegas, but my return flight needed to be changed to Detroit. I called and they quoted me a price that was more than buying a new ticket. They went on to explain the $100 modification fee and there's nothing they can do. I ended up losing that ticket money since I refuse to give them another dime. I had to go to another airline to purchase a new ticket that cost less than what they quoted me and was a nonstop flight instead of having a layover. They have terrible policies and are stealing people's money blatantly. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I spent $408 + $102 bags on a flight for my GF. She arrived at the gate but got held up in line. While waiting they boarded 4 people in front of her who missed the previous flight, then closed the door. Leaving her at desk at the gate. They told her there was nothing they could do and had her call customer service. She steeped away to call and the attendant at the gate marked her as a no show. While on the phone the rep said she was already marked as a no show and I would have to spend another 400 on a flight the following day. I called myself and they said, “According to policy you forfeit your airfare and luggage fees if you miss your flight.” So now I'm out $500 for an empty seat and 2 bags that never went anywhere.

Other airlines would at least give you a credit or refund your money. They refused to give me my money back after days of calling. I finally had to dispute the charges with my bank to get my money back. They failed to provide me a service and it is unfair for them to just take your money and not give you anything. I will never ever use or utter their name. The airline is a sham and the only reason they still exist is because the money they have stolen and continue to steal from customers.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I flew out of Atlanta to Dallas with ease. On my return I had problems checking in at the kiosk. After several attempts to speak to a ticket agent I was told not to go up there by another agent. Finally I pulled Rank and went anyway, by the time it was too late to board. The ticket agent saw that it was not my fault but still tried to make me pay for a later flight. At that time I raised hell seeing as my buns were limited and I had to purchase 3 tickets. The ticket agent went to the back and spoke with her supervisor and which time they gave me three tickets and I did not have to pay. I had to wait in the airport for 10 hours with no food voucher, no travel voucher, no nothing. 10 hours at an airport.

Upon loading for the next flight I was stopped at boarding for a carry-on which my son had. Mind you coming from Atlanta it was the same bag. This which at the counter would not let me through unless she got $65 out of me. The other ticket agent try to let it go and said that it was okay, however this other which by the name of Sylvia at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport was a real ** about it. And when I say a **, she was truly a **. And it looked as if she enjoy every minute of it. And that's what hurt me so bad. She knew she had the power and she will did it. But her day is coming when she will have to spend money like I did. So of course I had to spend the extra money. I will never ever fly Spirit again. They pack you on like sardines and have no sympathy whatsoever for problems that they caused.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

My husband and I booked a flight due to a conference he was attending for certification. Unfortunately, one of the main speakers passed away right before the conference. The other attendees booked their flight with a different airline and were able to receive a credit for a future flight with no problem. I, on the other hand, was not so fortunate. Spirit would not work with me AT ALL. I will NEVER and I do mean NEVER fly with this airline again. They are the ABSOLUTE WORST and are very insensitive. Definitely a lessoned learned.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

All the correct document was submitted. Help agent was called three time, and was told to directed to communicated to the help section via email only for the name correction. Still have not received any response from the help service, It's been over three days and the flight is tomorrow. Worst customer service. Called 4 times, emailed twice, with no response. My reference #**. We are able to correct the name change with United Airline with just a phone call on getting here. We may be stuck here at Houston with no way of getting back. Our fund is limited and in need to follow up with Medical appointment getting back.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have two bad experiences with this airline. One I sat on the runway for hours trying to get to my ill mom. They gave me a voucher for that but has to be used within 60 days and it has restrictions. Why give a voucher with stipulation? My mom conditioned worsen, hospice sent over letter that her health had took a turn and I need to come as soon as possible. I had took the travelers insurance for this reason but it did not work for me. You guys had unoccupied seats and was still trying to charge additional 450.00 on top of what I had already paid. I understand gross and profit but what happen to mankind and empathy or travelers insurance that I purchase. The only thing they offered was to change my flight without fees. Well that's why I got the insurance, so you did me no favors.

Even on my departure on Sunday a child and myself and was 65.00 charged for carry-on and my purse... REALLY insane. The young lady lean on the counter after I told her my mom just passed and stated these are the rules and said she would drop it to 55.00. Just check my bank statement and she charged me 65.00. My bags cost more than my flight. The other young lady who was taking the tickets was yelling telling me to turn around and if my bag does not fit then I have to pay. "Turn around ma look turn around" in front of everyone.

The other lady took card and tickets did not hand them back sat them on the counter. WOW. The other tenant that was giving wheelchair help waved for us to move so she can get by. I did not move the word is EXCUSE ME. I am ashamed to say that the individuals I dealt with do not value their jobs or your company. I will never fly this airline again. When anyone experience any kind of LOST/DEATH show some remorse, empathy. FYI I finally made it to my mom on 10/12. She passed on 10/10.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

The most pathetic and arrogant flight attendants ever encountered in my life... These people don’t care even if the kid dies crying. Today I was flying back from Orlando to Baltimore. After a hectic weekend spent in Universal Studio my 2 year old was completely exhausted and had fallen sleep when we boarded the flight. Though my kid was sitting comfortably holded tight in her mom’s lap these idiots forced my wife to make the baby sit on the seat with seat belts, due to which the kid's sleep was broken and she became cranky and started crying. So being a mother, my wife took her back on her lap (the was not even on the runway by that time) but they again asked to put her back on seat and let my baby cry until the flight took off and the seatbelt sign was turned off.

The same story was repeated at the time of landing. Due the prolonged crying my baby was feeling choked but these people showed no mercy on the little one. I understand it is a law and it is for the safety but what happens to the kids under 2 years who are on flight? Why are allowed on the lap without any child seat belt? Is having baby under 2 years on lap safe and having a 2 year old kid on lap unsafe? What if something wrong might have happened to my child when she got choked due to prolonged crying? Who would have taken the responsibility? Spirit Airlines you need to get some crew who have emotions for your customers. A BIG BIG NO FOR SPIRIT AIRLINES IN MY LIFE. There is no option for giving zero rating so my rating is 1 which is a BIG ZERO FOR SPIRIT AIRLINES.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My family and I have been flying Spirit for many years and usually choose Spirit over other airlines based on price and service. After my last experience with Spirit I will never choose them again even if it means that I have to pay more money! I booked a flight online for myself and 2 sons to travel to Florida on my sons 4th birthday. I booked the ticket a month in advance and received a confirmation email. A week before the flight I checked the email to see what time we were leaving. I noticed on the top of the confirmation email that at the time of payment they had trouble processing the card. The email specially said that at this time no other action was needed on my part and that Spirit would send me an email if they were unable to process payment.

I checked all of my emails to make sure I had not missed an email from them. They had not attempted to contact me further regarding my payment. We went to the airport on the scheduled flight day and I used my confirmation number to check in. Much to my surprise and frustration we were not on the list of passengers to fly. My confirmation code meant nothing and the supervisor at the counter was very short with an attitude that it was all my fault. I checked with my bank and they had no record of any payment from Spirit being denied.

The supervisor did nothing to help me or even say that she was sorry. She said that the message on my confirmation email is standard and means nothing. I can not believe they would say they would email a customer if they are having difficulty processing payment and then not. I do not understand why they did not send a standard email saying that my confirmation was not valid. I had to purchase 3 tickets to Florida 2 hours before the flight which cost me a fortune that I will be paying off for a while. Spirit you have lost me as a customer forever! Goodbye!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I just took my very first flight to Vegas with Spirit airlines and was completely in shock at how bad of an experience it was. First off we had to use a kiosk to check which honestly wasn't user friendly and the person in charge of helping travelers with this was extremely rude and impatient with everyone who was having trouble. She even kicked an older lady off the kiosk. Mind you the lady was well into her 60's and didn't speak English. This lady was the one right in front of me. When it was my turn to check in I learned that I had to pay $55 for my carry on because Spirit only allows one free personal item which is either a purse or a backpack. Please explain who in the world travels 5 hrs away from their home without any clothes. Carry ons should be free like every other airline.

Next I was given two choices to either choose a random seat or pay $18 for a seat of my choice. I then proceeded to ask the Kiosk assistant "when we book our flight dont we automatically get a seat?" She said "No. That is not how this works, just make your choice and move on 'cause you're holding up the line by moving too slow." I found that to be extremely unnecessary since at no point was I rude to her although after the way she spoke to me and treated the lady before me I really feel she deserved it if anyone did it to her in return. My Kiosk machine of course decided to give me an error message and again the Kiosk Assistant rolled her eyes and said "I told you you took too long to make your choices, there's nothing to think about. Just get moving." I don't think an impatient person who dislikes her job or dislikes working with people should have that job title.

After dealing with that whole mess and proceeding to move on to the checkpoint I find out from the TSA worker that the flight was delayed not by 30 minutes or an 1 hr but by 3 almost 4 hrs. At this point I had already been there since 4:20 in the morning. Never received an email notification from the airline or anything that the flight was delayed. The flight ended up departing after 10am. So instead of reaching my destination at 8:50 am I got to Vegas at 12 noon. This was beyond ridiculous and when anyone asked what was the hold up they would keep saying that we should be starting to board "soon". I was extremely upset.

Coming back home again to check in we had to use the kiosk. Mind you there were attendants there at their computers with no one on the line. So I walked up to a worker standing in the entrance of the empty line and she asked "What do you want?" I said I would like to check in, she said "The kiosk are over there" and I said, "I see that but this line is empty and the workers dont have anything to do," she nastily answered "You have to pay $10 if you want to be assisted by an agent in checking in, so either you pay or you wait and do it yourself." Spirit really needs to get better at handling their staff and getting better at customer service. Everyone was rude and I promised myself I would rather pay the extra money with a different airline but get treated better as a customer than to deal with people that are completely miserable. Shame on you Spirit for hiring these people to represent your company!!! Never Again!!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I typed the wrong child's name on a ticket. It happens. The condescending agent at Spirit Air charged me $450 to change the name. She insisted she wasn't changing the name and that I had to cancel and rebook per the instructions and agreement. I have never felt so cheated and unvalued, even when my house was robbed. Spirit Air is a cowardly company that only cares about milking as much out of their customers as possible.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

DON'T EVER FLY WITH SPIRIT AIRLINE. THEY ARE BY FAR THE WORST AIRLINE MY FAMILY AND I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. I have a huge complaint and problem with Spirit Air and their employees. Spirit Airlines have caused my children a great amount of stress as well as traumatized them while traveling with your airline. The employees have horrible customer service, they lack any concern for their travelers, and take no responsibility whatsoever for the welfare of their customers. My children were to travel with Spirit Airline on a connecting flight from Guayaquil, Ecuador to Fort Lauderdale, Florida to LaGuardia, New York. This trip took a turn for the worst when one of the employees working for Spirit Airlines in Guayaquil, Ecuador told my children that they had to pick up their luggage at Fort Lauderdale airport after they landed, even though we requested the luggage to be transferred.

After arguing with the employee that the luggage must be transferred, the employee still made the children have to pick up their luggage after they landed. They were to have a 2 hour layover when they landed but the flight was delayed and having to go and pick up their luggage forced them to miss their connecting flight. The employee told my children the wrong information causing them to miss their connecting flight to LaGuardia, NY. That's one employee who made a huge mistake, now before I get to the awful, horrible employees working at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport Spirit Airlines, when they missed their flight they spoke to an employee at Spirit Airline in Fort Lauderdale and they booked them a connecting flight to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport to Atlantic City International Airport, New Jersey.

They took their connecting flight but because Spirit Airline was fueling up they delayed their flight by 3 hours make them miss their connecting flight home! Once again my children still have not reach their destination due to Spirit Airlines poor performance. So now Spirit Airline is responsible for my children missing not one flight but two!

Now after being exhausted from traveling since the night before, my children picked up their luggage and went to the Spirit Airline counter in Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport to get another flight home, keep in mind that my children have no money, no family, no place to stay, they are alone. They wait in line to speak to a Spirit employee and explain what has happen to the Spirit employee and the employee tells my kids the next flight is Tuesday and it was Saturday that day. So they just expect my children to stay in the Atlanta Airport with no money, no food, no place to stay for 3 days! They are just kids!

HOW CAN THIS AIRLINE HIRE SUCH HEARTLESS, INSENSITIVE PEOPLE? It is Spirit's policy to accommodate their customers if it is the Airline's fault that delayed their flight. MY CHILDREN ARE STILL SPIRIT AIRLINE'S RESPONSIBILITY! They cannot just tell them it's not my problem! They literally told them that. Now my children are starting to beg the employee for help, explaining to them that they cannot just wait here for 3 days with no family, no money, no food and no shelter. So the employee told my children to speak with the manager, who was at the end of the counter. The employee told my kids to wait in a different line to speak with the manager. So my children complied and waited in a different line to speak with the manager, whom we later found out was named Carmen.

My kids are finally up next to speak to her and when they get to her she starts yelling at my son! She tells him to step out of this line and to go to the other line where they just were. They wanted to explain to her that the other employee told them to go and speak with her, but she just wouldn't listen to them. Keep in mind that the entire time they were at the counter I was on the phone with them every step of the way. I heard this manager yelling at my son and daughter telling them if they didn't get out of the line, which they were told to go to, they will have them removed! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I asked my son to please pass the phone to her so I can talk on their behalf because they don't speak English very well, and they were scared.

The manager told my son ''no I can't talk on your phone'', which of course was a lie because back in Fort Lauderdale Spirit Airline the employee there took my son’s phone, spoke to me and booked them a flight to come home. So she was not doing her job, she didn't want to help my children at all or go to any lengths to solve the problem. So there are my children stranded in Atlanta, Georgia Airport at Spirit Airline where no one and I mean not one employee will help them. I asked my son to put on FaceTime so I can actually see these horrible employees ignore my children. AND SURE ENOUGH I SAW THESE SPIRIT AIRLINE EMPLOYEES ACTUALLY IGNORE MY CHILDREN! I see my daughter go up to the counter again telling them, “Please help us” and they don't even acknowledge her! They avoid contact with them like they are nothing, like they are irrelevant.

This right here is a perfect example of discrimination. That was when I told my wife to call the POLICE at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport to get help for my children. My wife contacts the police, explains the situation and they send an officer to Spirit Airline. The officer shows up to the counter, he addresses my children, my son gives the phone to the officer and we start to talk. I explain everything to him including the fact that Spirit Airline delayed my children causing them to miss two flights and then I explain to him that the employees are refusing to help my children, and on top of that they are being very rude to them threatening to kick them out.

The officer asked to speak to the manager, who actually walked away so she didn't have to deal with my kids. He request to speak with the manager, which at first the other employees told him she wasn't there, so then he requested to talk to someone above the manager and in a few minutes Carmen ''the manager'' shows up. As soon as he talks to her he confirmed with me on the phone that she was being very unreasonable, aggressive and discriminating toward my children. He asked her, “Why aren't you helping these kids” and she starts yelling at the officer screaming that she can't help my children. The officer tells her to calm down because she was yelling almost barking at the officer. Then he explains that they are still your responsibility because they are flying with Spirit Airline. He tells her she needs to accommodate my children and not ignore them, and she then refuses to do so!

The fact that we needed a police officer to get your employees to do their job was an absolute shock to me and my wife. She starts to calm down and lowers her voice and tells the officer that she doesn't have any flights for my children. He continues to tell her that my children are still Spirit's responsibility and you need to do your job. He explains if they don't have any flights they need to accommodate the kids on another flight, with a different airline or a place to stay with food for them, she still says she can’t do that and the officer asked them if they can find another airline to fly them home and cover all costs which she also refuse to do. So then the officer asked me if I can purchase another ticket for my kids with a different airline because they are refusing to help.

Thank God Frontier Airline helped us find a flight home, it was 5 hours later but it will take them to their destination so now my kids have to sit there for 5 hours because of Spirit's incompetence. I asked the officer to ask who will reimburse me for the flight and the so called ''manager'' told the officer they will contact me within a couple of days for the reimbursement. It has now been four days and no one has contact me even though the manager confirmed my phone number with my son. Their lack of customer service or concern to their passengers is truly shocking. I purchased a round trip which mean Spirit has a contract with me, a responsibility to take my children to their destination and Spirit broke that contract on top of that they also refuses to comply with their policy.

The policy states clearly that if it's the airline fault for a delay, like fueling up, the airline must do everything they can to get their passengers to their destination. In this case they were two children flying alone stranded in another state while their parents worried for their welfare and safety and in the end received no help from Spirit Airline until a police officer showed up and told these employees to do their job, to stop ignoring my children, to stop being rude and aggressive toward them. It was after the officer showed up when the manager started to give us advice us to buy another ticket with another airline and they will reimburse us.

We had to pay $298 for my children's tickets and another $140 for their luggage to Frontier Airlines. The officer reassured us that Spirit Airline said they will reimburse us, since my children won't be using Spirit Airline to get to their destination. My children waited 5 hours for their flight and finally made it home to us after a NIGHTMARE WITH SPIRIT AIRLINES. I want Spirit Air to know that my wife and I are not going to let this go. Spirit airline has caused great amount of stress to my children, have traumatized them and given them a great amount of emotional distress because of the way they were treated by Spirit Air employees.

We request half of a refund from spirit airline, a reimbursement for the frontier flight we had to pay to get my children home, an apology from spirit airline, and a termination of one of your employee named Carmen working in Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta airport. We will be contacting the local news, Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affair as well as taking legal action. We have proof that Spirit Air employees have displayed discrimination towards my children and we have a police officer as a witness. There is a police report in this case and the officers has agreed with our statement. WE WON’T STOP UNTIL OUR CHILDREN GET THE COMPENSATION THEY DESERVE!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

DO NOT EVER FLY SPIRIT AIR!!! Once they lost my luggage and did not cover it, another time they stole a bunch of expensive items from my luggage and gave me $30 to cover it all as you need receipts for everything you own... Seriously who has receipts for everything they own. Another time the captain came over the PA as we were flying and said that we ran out of fuel in midair and have to make an emergency landing in Washinton DC. (4.5 hours away from my airport) I got home at 4 am that flight. AVOID SPIRT AIR AT ALL COSTS! They also charge $100 r/t for CARRY ON! $200 round trip for carry on if you add it last min. They are the ONLY airline that charges for carry on. After you factor additional costs Spirit is usually more expensive than the other options that you first thought were more expensive. Just avoid them like the plague!

Spirit Air Company Information