1.17/5

Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

pricing, allowing them to pay only for the options they want – things like bags, seat assignments and refreshments. With our Fit Fleet™, one of the youngest fleets of any major U.S. airline, we operate more than 460 daily flights to 65 destinations in the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean.

View More View More

2218 Spirit Air Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

My husband and I booked a flight due to a conference he was attending for certification. Unfortunately, one of the main speakers passed away right before the conference. The other attendees booked their flight with a different airline and were able to receive a credit for a future flight with no problem. I, on the other hand, was not so fortunate. Spirit would not work with me AT ALL. I will NEVER and I do mean NEVER fly with this airline again. They are the ABSOLUTE WORST and are very insensitive. Definitely a lessoned learned.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

All the correct document was submitted. Help agent was called three time, and was told to directed to communicated to the help section via email only for the name correction. Still have not received any response from the help service, It's been over three days and the flight is tomorrow. Worst customer service. Called 4 times, emailed twice, with no response. My reference #**. We are able to correct the name change with United Airline with just a phone call on getting here. We may be stuck here at Houston with no way of getting back. Our fund is limited and in need to follow up with Medical appointment getting back.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have two bad experiences with this airline. One I sat on the runway for hours trying to get to my ill mom. They gave me a voucher for that but has to be used within 60 days and it has restrictions. Why give a voucher with stipulation? My mom conditioned worsen, hospice sent over letter that her health had took a turn and I need to come as soon as possible. I had took the travelers insurance for this reason but it did not work for me. You guys had unoccupied seats and was still trying to charge additional 450.00 on top of what I had already paid. I understand gross and profit but what happen to mankind and empathy or travelers insurance that I purchase. The only thing they offered was to change my flight without fees. Well that's why I got the insurance, so you did me no favors.

Even on my departure on Sunday a child and myself and was 65.00 charged for carry-on and my purse... REALLY insane. The young lady lean on the counter after I told her my mom just passed and stated these are the rules and said she would drop it to 55.00. Just check my bank statement and she charged me 65.00. My bags cost more than my flight. The other young lady who was taking the tickets was yelling telling me to turn around and if my bag does not fit then I have to pay. "Turn around ma look turn around" in front of everyone.

The other lady took card and tickets did not hand them back sat them on the counter. WOW. The other tenant that was giving wheelchair help waved for us to move so she can get by. I did not move the word is EXCUSE ME. I am ashamed to say that the individuals I dealt with do not value their jobs or your company. I will never fly this airline again. When anyone experience any kind of LOST/DEATH show some remorse, empathy. FYI I finally made it to my mom on 10/12. She passed on 10/10.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

The most pathetic and arrogant flight attendants ever encountered in my life... These people don’t care even if the kid dies crying. Today I was flying back from Orlando to Baltimore. After a hectic weekend spent in Universal Studio my 2 year old was completely exhausted and had fallen sleep when we boarded the flight. Though my kid was sitting comfortably holded tight in her mom’s lap these idiots forced my wife to make the baby sit on the seat with seat belts, due to which the kid's sleep was broken and she became cranky and started crying. So being a mother, my wife took her back on her lap (the was not even on the runway by that time) but they again asked to put her back on seat and let my baby cry until the flight took off and the seatbelt sign was turned off.

The same story was repeated at the time of landing. Due the prolonged crying my baby was feeling choked but these people showed no mercy on the little one. I understand it is a law and it is for the safety but what happens to the kids under 2 years who are on flight? Why are allowed on the lap without any child seat belt? Is having baby under 2 years on lap safe and having a 2 year old kid on lap unsafe? What if something wrong might have happened to my child when she got choked due to prolonged crying? Who would have taken the responsibility? Spirit Airlines you need to get some crew who have emotions for your customers. A BIG BIG NO FOR SPIRIT AIRLINES IN MY LIFE. There is no option for giving zero rating so my rating is 1 which is a BIG ZERO FOR SPIRIT AIRLINES.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My family and I have been flying Spirit for many years and usually choose Spirit over other airlines based on price and service. After my last experience with Spirit I will never choose them again even if it means that I have to pay more money! I booked a flight online for myself and 2 sons to travel to Florida on my sons 4th birthday. I booked the ticket a month in advance and received a confirmation email. A week before the flight I checked the email to see what time we were leaving. I noticed on the top of the confirmation email that at the time of payment they had trouble processing the card. The email specially said that at this time no other action was needed on my part and that Spirit would send me an email if they were unable to process payment.

I checked all of my emails to make sure I had not missed an email from them. They had not attempted to contact me further regarding my payment. We went to the airport on the scheduled flight day and I used my confirmation number to check in. Much to my surprise and frustration we were not on the list of passengers to fly. My confirmation code meant nothing and the supervisor at the counter was very short with an attitude that it was all my fault. I checked with my bank and they had no record of any payment from Spirit being denied.

The supervisor did nothing to help me or even say that she was sorry. She said that the message on my confirmation email is standard and means nothing. I can not believe they would say they would email a customer if they are having difficulty processing payment and then not. I do not understand why they did not send a standard email saying that my confirmation was not valid. I had to purchase 3 tickets to Florida 2 hours before the flight which cost me a fortune that I will be paying off for a while. Spirit you have lost me as a customer forever! Goodbye!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I just took my very first flight to Vegas with Spirit airlines and was completely in shock at how bad of an experience it was. First off we had to use a kiosk to check which honestly wasn't user friendly and the person in charge of helping travelers with this was extremely rude and impatient with everyone who was having trouble. She even kicked an older lady off the kiosk. Mind you the lady was well into her 60's and didn't speak English. This lady was the one right in front of me. When it was my turn to check in I learned that I had to pay $55 for my carry on because Spirit only allows one free personal item which is either a purse or a backpack. Please explain who in the world travels 5 hrs away from their home without any clothes. Carry ons should be free like every other airline.

Next I was given two choices to either choose a random seat or pay $18 for a seat of my choice. I then proceeded to ask the Kiosk assistant "when we book our flight dont we automatically get a seat?" She said "No. That is not how this works, just make your choice and move on 'cause you're holding up the line by moving too slow." I found that to be extremely unnecessary since at no point was I rude to her although after the way she spoke to me and treated the lady before me I really feel she deserved it if anyone did it to her in return. My Kiosk machine of course decided to give me an error message and again the Kiosk Assistant rolled her eyes and said "I told you you took too long to make your choices, there's nothing to think about. Just get moving." I don't think an impatient person who dislikes her job or dislikes working with people should have that job title.

After dealing with that whole mess and proceeding to move on to the checkpoint I find out from the TSA worker that the flight was delayed not by 30 minutes or an 1 hr but by 3 almost 4 hrs. At this point I had already been there since 4:20 in the morning. Never received an email notification from the airline or anything that the flight was delayed. The flight ended up departing after 10am. So instead of reaching my destination at 8:50 am I got to Vegas at 12 noon. This was beyond ridiculous and when anyone asked what was the hold up they would keep saying that we should be starting to board "soon". I was extremely upset.

Coming back home again to check in we had to use the kiosk. Mind you there were attendants there at their computers with no one on the line. So I walked up to a worker standing in the entrance of the empty line and she asked "What do you want?" I said I would like to check in, she said "The kiosk are over there" and I said I see that but this line is empty and the workers dont have anything to do, she nastily answered "You have to pay $10 if you want to be assisted by an agent in checking in, so either you pay or you wait and do it yourself." Spirit really needs to get better at handling their staff and getting better at customer service. Everyone was rude and I promised myself I would rather pay the extra money with a different airline but get treated better as a customer than to deal with people that are completely miserable. Shame on you Spirit for hiring these people to represent your company!!! Never Again!!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I typed the wrong child's name on a ticket. It happens. The condescending agent at Spirit Air charged me $450 to change the name. She insisted she wasn't changing the name and that I had to cancel and rebook per the instructions and agreement. I have never felt so cheated and unvalued, even when my house was robbed. Spirit Air is a cowardly company that only cares about milking as much out of their customers as possible.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

DON'T EVER FLY WITH SPIRIT AIRLINE. THEY ARE BY FAR THE WORST AIRLINE MY FAMILY AND I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. I have a huge complaint and problem with Spirit Air and their employees. Spirit Airlines have caused my children a great amount of stress as well as traumatized them while traveling with your airline. The employees have horrible customer service, they lack any concern for their travelers, and take no responsibility whatsoever for the welfare of their customers. My children were to travel with Spirit Airline on a connecting flight from Guayaquil, Ecuador to Fort Lauderdale, Florida to LaGuardia, New York. This trip took a turn for the worst when one of the employees working for Spirit Airlines in Guayaquil, Ecuador told my children that they had to pick up their luggage at Fort Lauderdale airport after they landed, even though we requested the luggage to be transferred.

After arguing with the employee that the luggage must be transferred, the employee still made the children have to pick up their luggage after they landed. They were to have a 2 hour layover when they landed but the flight was delayed and having to go and pick up their luggage forced them to miss their connecting flight. The employee told my children the wrong information causing them to miss their connecting flight to LaGuardia, NY. That's one employee who made a huge mistake, now before I get to the awful, horrible employees working at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport Spirit Airlines, when they missed their flight they spoke to an employee at Spirit Airline in Fort Lauderdale and they booked them a connecting flight to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport to Atlantic City International Airport, New Jersey.

They took their connecting flight but because Spirit Airline was fueling up they delayed their flight by 3 hours make them miss their connecting flight home! Once again my children still have not reach their destination due to Spirit Airlines poor performance. So now Spirit Airline is responsible for my children missing not one flight but two!

Now after being exhausted from traveling since the night before, my children picked up their luggage and went to the Spirit Airline counter in Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport to get another flight home, keep in mind that my children have no money, no family, no place to stay, they are alone. They wait in line to speak to a Spirit employee and explain what has happen to the Spirit employee and the employee tells my kids the next flight is Tuesday and it was Saturday that day. So they just expect my children to stay in the Atlanta Airport with no money, no food, no place to stay for 3 days! They are just kids!

HOW CAN THIS AIRLINE HIRE SUCH HEARTLESS, INSENSITIVE PEOPLE? It is Spirit's policy to accommodate their customers if it is the Airline's fault that delayed their flight. MY CHILDREN ARE STILL SPIRIT AIRLINE'S RESPONSIBILITY! They cannot just tell them it's not my problem! They literally told them that. Now my children are starting to beg the employee for help, explaining to them that they cannot just wait here for 3 days with no family, no money, no food and no shelter. So the employee told my children to speak with the manager, who was at the end of the counter. The employee told my kids to wait in a different line to speak with the manager. So my children complied and waited in a different line to speak with the manager, whom we later found out was named Carmen.

My kids are finally up next to speak to her and when they get to her she starts yelling at my son! She tells him to step out of this line and to go to the other line where they just were. They wanted to explain to her that the other employee told them to go and speak with her, but she just wouldn't listen to them. Keep in mind that the entire time they were at the counter I was on the phone with them every step of the way. I heard this manager yelling at my son and daughter telling them if they didn't get out of the line, which they were told to go to, they will have them removed! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I asked my son to please pass the phone to her so I can talk on their behalf because they don't speak English very well, and they were scared.

The manager told my son ''no I can't talk on your phone'', which of course was a lie because back in Fort Lauderdale Spirit Airline the employee there took my son’s phone, spoke to me and booked them a flight to come home. So she was not doing her job, she didn't want to help my children at all or go to any lengths to solve the problem. So there are my children stranded in Atlanta, Georgia Airport at Spirit Airline where no one and I mean not one employee will help them. I asked my son to put on FaceTime so I can actually see these horrible employees ignore my children. AND SURE ENOUGH I SAW THESE SPIRIT AIRLINE EMPLOYEES ACTUALLY IGNORE MY CHILDREN! I see my daughter go up to the counter again telling them, “Please help us” and they don't even acknowledge her! They avoid contact with them like they are nothing, like they are irrelevant.

This right here is a perfect example of discrimination. That was when I told my wife to call the POLICE at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport to get help for my children. My wife contacts the police, explains the situation and they send an officer to Spirit Airline. The officer shows up to the counter, he addresses my children, my son gives the phone to the officer and we start to talk. I explain everything to him including the fact that Spirit Airline delayed my children causing them to miss two flights and then I explain to him that the employees are refusing to help my children, and on top of that they are being very rude to them threatening to kick them out.

The officer asked to speak to the manager, who actually walked away so she didn't have to deal with my kids. He request to speak with the manager, which at first the other employees told him she wasn't there, so then he requested to talk to someone above the manager and in a few minutes Carmen ''the manager'' shows up. As soon as he talks to her he confirmed with me on the phone that she was being very unreasonable, aggressive and discriminating toward my children. He asked her, “Why aren't you helping these kids” and she starts yelling at the officer screaming that she can't help my children. The officer tells her to calm down because she was yelling almost barking at the officer. Then he explains that they are still your responsibility because they are flying with Spirit Airline. He tells her she needs to accommodate my children and not ignore them, and she then refuses to do so!

The fact that we needed a police officer to get your employees to do their job was an absolute shock to me and my wife. She starts to calm down and lowers her voice and tells the officer that she doesn't have any flights for my children. He continues to tell her that my children are still Spirit's responsibility and you need to do your job. He explains if they don't have any flights they need to accommodate the kids on another flight, with a different airline or a place to stay with food for them, she still says she can’t do that and the officer asked them if they can find another airline to fly them home and cover all costs which she also refuse to do. So then the officer asked me if I can purchase another ticket for my kids with a different airline because they are refusing to help.

Thank God Frontier Airline helped us find a flight home, it was 5 hours later but it will take them to their destination so now my kids have to sit there for 5 hours because of Spirit's incompetence. I asked the officer to ask who will reimburse me for the flight and the so called ''manager'' told the officer they will contact me within a couple of days for the reimbursement. It has now been four days and no one has contact me even though the manager confirmed my phone number with my son. Their lack of customer service or concern to their passengers is truly shocking. I purchased a round trip which mean Spirit has a contract with me, a responsibility to take my children to their destination and Spirit broke that contract on top of that they also refuses to comply with their policy.

The policy states clearly that if it's the airline fault for a delay, like fueling up, the airline must do everything they can to get their passengers to their destination. In this case they were two children flying alone stranded in another state while their parents worried for their welfare and safety and in the end received no help from Spirit Airline until a police officer showed up and told these employees to do their job, to stop ignoring my children, to stop being rude and aggressive toward them. It was after the officer showed up when the manager started to give us advice us to buy another ticket with another airline and they will reimburse us.

We had to pay $298 for my children's tickets and another $140 for their luggage to Frontier Airlines. The officer reassured us that Spirit Airline said they will reimburse us, since my children won't be using Spirit Airline to get to their destination. My children waited 5 hours for their flight and finally made it home to us after a NIGHTMARE WITH SPIRIT AIRLINES. I want Spirit Air to know that my wife and I are not going to let this go. Spirit airline has caused great amount of stress to my children, have traumatized them and given them a great amount of emotional distress because of the way they were treated by Spirit Air employees.

We request half of a refund from spirit airline, a reimbursement for the frontier flight we had to pay to get my children home, an apology from spirit airline, and a termination of one of your employee named Carmen working in Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta airport. We will be contacting the local news, Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affair as well as taking legal action. We have proof that Spirit Air employees have displayed discrimination towards my children and we have a police officer as a witness. There is a police report in this case and the officers has agreed with our statement. WE WON’T STOP UNTIL OUR CHILDREN GET THE COMPENSATION THEY DESERVE!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

DO NOT EVER FLY SPIRIT AIR!!! Once they lost my luggage and did not cover it, another time they stole a bunch of expensive items from my luggage and gave me $30 to cover it all as you need receipts for everything you own... Seriously who has receipts for everything they own. Another time the captain came over the PA as we were flying and said that we ran out of fuel in midair and have to make an emergency landing in Washinton DC. (4.5 hours away from my airport) I got home at 4 am that flight. AVOID SPIRT AIR AT ALL COSTS! They also charge $100 r/t for CARRY ON! $200 round trip for carry on if you add it last min. They are the ONLY airline that charges for carry on. After you factor additional costs Spirit is usually more expensive than the other options that you first thought were more expensive. Just avoid them like the plague!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I booked a flight to Jamaica from June 28-July 4th. I ended up leaving with JetBlue and was issued a credit for not flying back via Spirit. When I typed in the credit for some odd reason it wasn't working. I called into Spirit. Was told there are no notes of this conversation therefore the credit doesn't exist!!! Keep in mind the promo code the agent provided to me doesn't work. NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. YOU ARE THE EQUIVALENT OF WALMART!!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Their website is full of bugs. I can never log in my account without having to reset the password first, and even so sometimes it doesn't work! My bags were twice delayed by 1.5 hours and my flights were always at least 15-30 minutes late! No one wants to take responsibility and it's so hard to get my voice heard! I understand this is a budget airline so I shouldn't expect too much, but come on, at least show some professionalism and decency to treat your customers right!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Horrible traumatic - Flying out of town for an emergency. Called Spirit twice for documentation needed to bring my support animal. Was misinformed twice about the situation. Not allowed on the plane with my dog. Spirit's pulled documentation phone calls admits that they were misinforming me twice with no resolution.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I bought a round trip and my first flight included a free carry on bag but on the second flight they sent me a letter the day before the flight that I had to pay for carry on $45 and took payment from me. The plane was dirty and water only in bottles for $3.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I can't believe how unethical Spirit is. I was in the process of booking a flight online. I chose a seat at a certain price, and at the end of the booking process it had adjusted the price upwards. So sneaky! I had a screenshot showing the price I agreed to originally but when calling them they refused to honor what I was sold, stating "prices are subject to change"... apparently even after you've agreed to whatever price you've clicked on. Even the supervisor refused and I asked if they were willing to lose a customer over less than $10 and I got no answer so hung up promptly and booked with a reputable, service oriented airline. I understand clearly why Spirit is consistently rated the worst airline in America.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

My friend and I booked a round trip flight to Puerto Rico. We are both very busy and I have two large Siberian Huskies. We paid extra for priority boarding and seat assignments. We also paid $90 each for our carry on luggage. The flight was no problem to get to San Juan, but when it was our time to board on the plane, we found out our flight was cancelled by the airline, Spirit. We could not get past security, due to them cancelling our flight. We were up at 4 am and ended up in a very long line for over 4 1/2 hours, (I had major back surgery last year and was in pain), then the young girl told us they cancelled our flight. We asked why, she said because the people before us missed their flight.

I'm a lil confused. This lady just told us our flight took off on time, but our entire flight was cancelled so the other people can fly in our seats. Then told us there is no flight for a month, for us to go to another airline. The soonest flight we could get, was 2 DAYS LATER on Allegiant. Spirit did NOT compensate us for anything. We had to rent a room at a hotel for 2 more days, taxi rides for the 2 days and more restaurants, plus me paying for my two Huskies to be taken care of (one has seizures), missing work, such a headache and so much money lost. I've flown hundreds of times and had plane delays, flights changed, compensation for broken planes and put on later, but NEVER CANCELLED AND NOTHING! This should be illegal! DO NOT FLY SPIRIT! I have many documents to prove everything!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Terrible customer service. Like dealing with a third world call center run by children. Have called 4 times to get a confirmation email in order to get my flight information after the ticket was purchased. Had given 2 different emails. I have never been so frustrated and I felt like I was on the verge of having a stroke or heart attack today.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I had booked a return flight on Spirit for 8/10/18. I have to fly with a medical device for my heart. The device has to go on the plane. I had previously flown with both United & Alaska. And I was advised it would be easier for the airlines if I could put the device in 2 smaller bags instead of one large suitcase. However, both airlines were able to accommodate the luggage. I contacted a Spirit airline rep to make certain Spirit wouldn’t have any issue. I purposely got to LAX at 12:00 (2 1/2) hours before departure. The agents at the Spirit counter treated everyone the same, BADLY! I was advised that they couldn’t allow one of my bags on the flight cause it wasn’t small enough.

The agent was rude, never let me finish a sentence. He wanted to refund me my money. I didn’t want a refund, I wasn’t trying to avoid a baggage fee. I just wanted to get on my flight. The agent told me he would get a supervisor named Sam & proceeded to take a break. After standing at the counter for over an hour, no one came back. I proceeded to remove my device from the suitcase and move over to another line for baggage drop off. I was charged a 2nd $52.00 baggage fee (because the other agent had removed the baggage ticket off the suitcase when I refused to allow him to put it under the plane). I had to carry the heavy device to my gate where the 2:28 plane had already boarded. If I had listened to the agent & waited for the supervisor named Sam, I would have missed my flight.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I determined to write my bad experience here I had with Spirit Airlines. Spirit Airlines should be appropriately renamed as Spiritless Airlines. I scheduled to fly from Dallas Fort Worth, TX to Oakland CA on 8/9/2018 at 9PM NK437 Spirit flight. Boarding went normally and all were seated by 8:45 PM. The flight did not take off up until 9:15 PM when the captain announced there is a minor mechanical maintenance which should be cleared in a few minutes. We patiently waited for another 30 mins hoping things will get resolved but when the captain threw the bombshell, instructed to deplane as the repair work might go for unspecified amount of time. We all deplaned and waiting for further instructions.

By 11:00 PM there an announcement from the podium that flight they are working on alternative plane to fly. The flight has to arrive from Detroit in 20 minutes. After 20 mins when the flight arrived but announcement came that they decided to cancel the flight because of bad weather. The options were either cancel reservation for refund or rebook. People were scrambling to figure out the choices at midnight. This is so pathetic. About 300 people were left helpless at the midnight without knowing what to do. Airlines failed to provide accommodation for cancellation due to their cause and blame it on weather. They are cheap and mindless business do not care about people

For me cancellation causes enormous pain as I had planned to help my daughter to move out her summer college dorm by Friday 8/10 afternoon. Failure of which caused me enormous headache, huge financial loss, waste of time and torture. I believe this airlines is worthless piece of junk doing business in the name of cheap air and do not care about people and its customers. We all should banish flying on this airlines.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

After you make a reservation and agree to a price then the pricing begins... Extra cost for a seat on the plane... Extra cost for a carry on and for checked baggage. Extra cost to talk to someone about a problem. I do not recommend the airline.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

On Aug 3rd I got several e-mails stating that flight got delayed for 3 hrs, so we decided to leave late. At 7:30 I got e-mail stating that flight is on time. Somehow we made it to airport. We were 6 people, my husband and 2 kids ran and made it to plane but I also had 72 yrs Mom and sister who is very heavy, actually needed wheelchair, they couldn't walk fast. I made it to gate, I literally begged the lady at gate to wait for 2 minutes, I told her my sister is disabled and couldn't walk fast, she didn't even care that we are late because airlines said plane was delayed. She was so rude, she told me move away from the gate or will call security.

BEWARE WHEN PLANE IS DELAY. I think airlines does it on purpose when it is overbooked so people miss the plane. I wonder plane that is delayed from 3 PM and even at 7 PM was delayed for 3 hrs, suddenly on time at 7:30. They were 6 more people who came after us. Can't believe she didn't have any sympathy and not even willing to wait 2 min when delayed plane was suppose to leave at 12AM instead of 9PM. We even checked our bags. Usually other airlines make sure bag checked person is in plane for security reason but Spirit didn't care. I wish I can give no stars.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I don't even know where to start. 1st the carry on is a ridiculous price of $45, second couldn't even check in before flight, had to go to counter. I call the airline to tell them I couldn't check in and include the bags, because their website was extremely unfriendly and difficult to navigate. Customer service on the phone said she couldn't help. Had to do it at the airport with limited time. Outbound flight the Lifevest was on the floor. Seats are a joke. Now on the way back I tried to check in by joining Spirit (the only way it would allow me check in and include the carry) but the website kept giving me a hard time. A smaller window popped up where the information for the additional charges were. When I pressed ok it charged me the membership fee... Something like 55 dollars. Plus the 36 for the carry on.

The flight was delayed for over an hour. We went to eat while the whole time looking at the airport screen with the information. It went from delayed to last call! We almost missed the flight! Later when we landed we were 2 hours on the runway. Flight attendants have no customer service training... Were actually kind of rude. It was hot with lack of air circulation. I asked if they were thinking of at least offering water after 45 mins. And was told that they were not allowed to give anything except after an hour and a half! They were not thoughtful to people with medical issues or even with the need of the bathroom. It was a nightmare.

Now what it is even more insulting, is that when I called their customer service line... Which took forever to get a live person... They refuse to reimburse me for the membership fee. I told them that their website is incompatible with Android and Windows that it didn't even allow me to get my boarding pass after spending 20 minutes filling their stuff and navigating a ridiculous website, not only that but very conveniently a window popped up and blocked the information where it stated that they were going to charge me. In order to get out of the main window I had to press ok... And that is when it charged me.

When I called to get a refund and state very clearly that I had no problem being charged for their full carry-on amount but that I wanted the membership canceled and that part reimbursed they said they would cancel my membership but didn't say they would reimburse me! They went on to saying I "Took Advantage" of the $9 membership price (which just means they only deduct 9 dollars from the $45 carry-on fee). I was livid. They are the ones that are taking Advantage of android and windows base consumers! I asked to talked to a supervisor and the took forever. Then Proceeded to make up that my phone was breaking up! It was not. It was them messing up the lines from their end.

The supervisor kept calling me by my middle name... And saying she couldn't hear me. I asked to be transferred to another supervisor and they transferred me to a regular rep. When I called them out on it they admitted they were not a supervisor and then continued to say they couldn't hear me! They did call back to say that they would cancel my membership but not reimburse me! I told her I wanted to talked to a manager and she continued by saying they would call me back... Still no call. This company is a ripoff. The savings are not savings at all and if you do save it is not worth it. My carry on ended up costing me almost a $ 100! All because their website its conveniently not friendly. They should be fine and out of business. Horrible... Just a horrible airline and I have been flying since I was 1 years of age both domestically and internationally. I have never... Mean NEVER experienced something like them!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

In Las Vegas they asked me to pay $ 55 for my handbag. I asked why, because I have never heard anything like this before at other agencies! Guess why? Because I have two "bags"! My hand bag and... my purse! I asked to talk with the manager, and she indicated me to put my purse in my hand bag and after all, to put them in the measuring box. If it fit, will be OK. Everything was OK, only my handbag was two inch taller than the box. I showed to the manager that it was perfect, but she looked in my eyes and continued to say it did not fit!!! After I had a nervous crisis, I made the check in by myself and I left for the security service, promising me once again that this is the last time I use this service. No one in the family or friends will ever use Spirit Airlines anymore. Leave the ticket cheaper and when you get there, they take all your money out of your wallet. Don't use this airline!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Yesterday Spirit canceled my flight from Detroit to New York. The reason given was "the weather in Detroit." It was sunny, 80 degrees with light wind at departure time. The airport was operating normally. The next available flight was (is) 2 days later, completely ruining my weekend plans. Factor in a loss of income for a substitute teacher position that I turned down in order to be at the airport on time and my loss was substantial.

A customer service agent told me that if I went to the Spirit desk at the airport they could put me on another flight on another airline. Before I made the hour drive I called another agent to verify this. She refused to directly answer so I asked for her supervisor. She initially refused to connect me but eventually the supervisor said that I likely wouldn't be put on another flight. I had no option but to take a refund and vow to never fly Spirit again (By the time that Spirit canceled my flight, fares were over $600 round trip. Not an affordable option). The reason for my trip was to help my son move to a new home in New York. He had already rented a U-Haul and we were to make the move on Saturday. As a result of my flight being canceled he had to hire help at the last minute. I wish I could give Spirit less than one star.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My wife and I are 70 odd years, we booked with Spirit through CheapOAir a flight to Las Vegas in June 2018. There was no information that the reservation was non-refundable AT ANY TIME and when we are going to cancel it the agent informed me that the company was giving me a credit and they were going to charge $50.00 from my card to penalize us. Why the penalty? This company as CheapOAir are mediocre. Never again in my life I will make a reservation in any of these companies and I do not recommend any person to make any reservation with any of them EITHER SPIRIT AIRLINES OR CHEAPOAIR AGENCY when you are going to travel.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Was cancelled initially for the first time and rescheduled. Was cancelled the second consecutive day and had to get another ticket with other airline. Cannot believe this scam is going on in United States. Never fly SPIRIT Airlines. You will lose your spirit to fly.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Spirit stole my 250.76 and I have to pay for that loss and loss my tickets. Can't fly out to ATL in September 2018. Horrible customer services and stingy with money. They don't want to refund me back that money. Which isn't far. I pay it off and I cancel that company off. This company deserves a 0 star. I would like to go back with Southwest Airlines. Don't ever fly with Spirit. They are rude, customer services are bad and stingy with money.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Crew (Mr. ** & Eric) flight NK400 7-29-2018. Because there were several empty seats close to the cabin I try move from a rear seat to one of those empty seats. Mr. ** (crew) told me I need pay $75.00 to sit there. Then I sit 2 rows behind on an empty regular seat. Five minutes later Mr. ** & Reith (crew members) move to those $75.00 seats several young men without any charge. The flight was from Bogota to Fort Lauderdale. In my opinion must be illegal to charge a fee for an empty seat once the plane departure, by other hand those 2 crew members gave those seats without any purchase those other persons.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I purchased a ticket for baggage. After I did so, I realized I could probably put all that I need for my one day trip in a bag the size that is an approved personal item. When I called to get a refund, Alex told me there is no way they will refund money. They can only offer a credit. I explained I haven't even checked into my flight. He said Spirit does not offer refunds of any kind. He could give me a credit that is only valid for two months. That credit is ONLY also allow to be used for a flight ticket because I asked if I could use it to buy a seat - since EVERYTHING is an up-charge. Alex said no! Credits are only used for flight tickets. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. Not willing to budge on accommodating customers. My money with them has stipulations! That is absurd!!! This is a poorly run company if there is no grey area or accommodating your paying customers!!!

Original review: July 31, 2018

Too unreliable and not worth the couple of dollars in savings!!! Will not be flying with them again - for the cancelled flight it cost me an additional $200 for a hotel and no explanation was offered on why the flight was cancelled - the last time we flew the flight was delayed for several hours. Will pay a little more to avoid the frustrations I've had with this tacky airlines that sells credit cards on the flight.

Original review: July 31, 2018

While making a flight change on a departure date (online - with original departure date 1 month out) I accidentally choose the wrong date, paid $150 for the change. Upon realizing immediately called to get help correcting it and long story short after finally getting to a supervisor was told I would be charged ANOTHER $120 to correct the date. Mind you I called within 2 minutes. While the supervisor was telling me why I had to pay another $120 I went through the online process again and the charge to change it myself (again) online was $90. They were unwilling to help at all, completely unwilling to understand the mistake and help a customer. The entire situation left me feeling ** and robbed as a customer. I will never fly this airline again. VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Spirit Air Company Information