3.03/5
Based on 1,210 ratings submitted in the last year

Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

pricing, allowing them to pay only for the options they want – things like bags, seat assignments and refreshments. With our Fit Fleet™, one of the youngest fleets of any major U.S. airline, we operate more than 460 daily flights to 65 destinations in the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean.

View More View More

2364 Spirit Air Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 5, 2019

Traveling on a budget airline, I prepared myself for the worst and had very low expectation. Fortunately, I had a great experience flying from O'Hare (Chicago) to Baltimore (BWI) this past week. The incoming flight arrived late but the crew was able to get all of us boarded and the flight left on time even during bad weather. Although there was no free drinks, not even water, it did not bother me. In fact, I found the plane cleaner because no drinks or food was served. In addition, I was pleasantly surprised that I was deplaned faster than ever (in less than 2 minutes from Row 22) even though the plane was quite full. I noticed almost all the passengers were young (probably why they used budget airline), have almost no luggage and they move super fast! Perfect flight for me. I arrived on time and was on the curb in 10 minutes!

Original review: June 27, 2019

I was searching for a low charge book from 1(877)696-0333 soul aircraft's telephone number and same week travel. Spirit is constantly useful around there, have constantly utilized them when conceivable. Simply ensure you get your sacks paid for online with your reservation and booking or you will pay a strong charge. Traveling with as little luggage as possible, no sacks. They permit little close to none thing, little knapsack at no cost additional. Be that as it may, continue and handled packs when done AHEAD of time are likewise sensible. Ideal administration for me.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Where: Montego Bay Airport, Jamaica

When: Sunday, 5/25/19

Who: Spirit Airline Supervisor Jan(ique)

What: My flight was delayed and I never received notification that 1) the flight was behind schedule 2) I'd consequently miss my connecting flight and have to spend the night in a hotel and arrive home an entire day later than I expected to. The supervisor (Jan) graciously spent 45 minutes trying to search other options, and secured a seat for me on a direct flight leaving soon after I arrived at the airport. She coordinated with security to ensure that I reached the gate in a timely fashion, at no extra charge and with no issues. Jan and her team went above and beyond to assist me and I am so grateful for the considerations that they made in order to get me home on time.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We found Steve ** of the Myrtle Beach, SC airport to be extremely helpful in getting our luggage problem straight. We couldn’t do it online. He was very polite, friendly and very efficient. This took place on our return home trip to Stewart airport in Newburgh, NY. On October 25, 2018. Thank you, Steve!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My wife and I fly 3/4 times a year for vacation. Our 1st and 2nd choices are southwest and American, depending on where we are going. However, we needed a late flight and wanting nonstop Pittsburgh to Vegas, we went with Spirit, we upgraded to the big front seats and bags package. The plane was brand new and the crew was very friendly. We enjoyed our flight out and back, only issue was 30-minute delay coming home due to airport traffic in Vegas. We will definitely be flying Spirit again, as long as there are 2 big front seats available.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: July 15, 2019

If you think you are getting a good deal on Spirit airlines, think again. First of all-- you have to pay for everything. I mean EVERYTHING. Second of all-- The leg room is impossibly small. Thirdly, EVERY time I've flown Spirit, it's been delayed by at least 2 hours. Once, no pilots showed up (true story!) so I had to book on another airlines. Unless you are a small adult who is only bringing a handbag and doesn't care about waiting at the airport for 4 hours or getting bumped from the flight completely, I would NEVER fly this airline. I spent almost $700 on a domestic ticket for my unaccompanied minor son and I could have saved money going on Jet Blue or Delta. The extra costs are ridiculous.

Original review: July 15, 2019

We are a family of 4 with a 2 year old. My flight coming in was delayed for 4.5 hours and we ended up reaching our hotel at 1 am. My returning flight was cancelled. Staff at Washington Baltimore airport extremely unfriendly and unprofessional. Took them over 3.5 hr to give me a hotel for the night and ended up giving me a 2.5 star hotel. I asked to speak to supervisor and was told by 3 staff members that she will be out to talk to me and I ended up leaving the airport after waiting for her for over 30 minutes without her showing up. My flight was scheduled at 1440 and ended up in the hotel around 9 pm! Completely unprofessional. They charged me An extra $30 for 45 lb bag on my way in and as I mentioned my flight was delayed for 4.5 hrs.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Terrible experience. I’m an experienced traveler and checked in 2 hours in advance and was informed there’s a delay the flight in leaving at 5pm. I hadn’t eaten since 9am so decided to get a meal and wait. I arrived at my gate 30 minutes until the late departure to be told the flight left on time and I could catch a flight tomorrow. The staff was unpleasant and unprofessional to say the least. I will never fly this airline again. I’d rather pay for a real airline. Never again!

Original review: July 11, 2019

Flight cancelled due to weather-confirmed lie. "Airline will reimburse rental car". Lie. Voucher for future flight - fake flight costs and high "Passenger Usage Fee" make voucher worthless. Stay away.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I had my flight from Chicago to New York at 5:48am. I reached the airport at 4:52am and I went to the counter. Over there, I tried to check in, but they said the flight is closed and so I could not board my flight anymore. Just keep away from this company. I am not a first time flyer, I fly all the time and for the first time I tried a cheap company and something like this happens. No one cares from the employees and no one tries to help at all. I even fly internationally or nationally many times during the year, but something like this never happened that they literally just slap the door in front of my face. Stay away from this company!

Original review: July 8, 2019

I am in the Military I came home to surprise my family. I paid for my flight round trip. There was a delay so connecting flight. Was not there when I got there and was not told I would miss it. Especially if I knew I would of just paid for a direct flight home. Instead I was given option take next flight out the next day so I had to sleep in airport till flight left following day. Or get part of refund and no flight home. I was totally disrespected and even after getting on flight home I was not even allowed to buy a pillow or blanket. Customer service so rude and not helpful in any way. I would never travel on Spirit ever again.

Original review: July 7, 2019

On July 4th I received a text from Spirit stating my July 5th 12:10 flight would be delayed. After calling the airline, I was informed it was due to weather and additional air controller issues? Two additional delays followed..lots of people who came from hotels stuck in the terminal. No explanation given except weather? I was told plane was arriving from Fort Lauderdale..weather there cleared early. Every customer rep for Spirit simply stated, "We can refund your money" but did not offer food vouchers or anything else for the inconvenience. It seems they could have made some attempt to placate the delayed passengers. Even offering free soft drinks would have been a good faith gesture.

Original review: July 6, 2019

We were flight from Denver to Houston with an infant and 7 year old child on 7/4. Flight attendant Trisha (she refused to tell her full name in spite of asking her) was just opposite of being helpful! We have travelled many times but never met a flight attendant of this nature!! She tried every possible way to make our experience a horrible one. She was super rude. Was making rude gesture! Even harassed our 7 year old. She did not ask us whether we wanted any drink or food. When I asked her the reason for her rude behavior, she threatened me to throw me out of the flight!

I have worked as a flight attendant before having my baby. I know that a person needs to be hospitable in nature to be in this profession. This skill cannot be taught.. You just have to have it. I don't know what your hiring policy is, I don't event want to go to that route but 'Trisha' is just the opposite of being hospitable. You will lose many passengers if you hire flight attendants like her. DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!

Original review: July 2, 2019

Although I had carefully measured my bag; upon arrival, the woman at check in (we'll call her Helga the Hun, whose customer service skills would better serve a military instillation in Afghanistan) told me my bag wouldn't fit and I could either pay the extra $65.00 or not fly. My blood pressure spiked, I got red and started sweating. Charlie saw my distress and offered me a fan and her bottle of cold water. Natalie took my credit card and boarding pass to Helga and was able to pay the online fee rather than the gate fee for my luggage (the Hispanic manager had approved this transaction). Interestingly Helga changed my seat assignment from 20 C to 30C as she was not happy with the decision of her manager. Charlie and Natalie saved my trip and I am so very appreciative of their kindness, compassion and good humor. They are superb and a credit to Spirit Airlines.

Original review: July 2, 2019

They changed my flight date and time, when I called customer service they could not honor the date/time I originally booked. No explanations whatsoever as why this happened. Customer service agents could care less how this affect the client. Why overbook a flight and let the customer know right before it. Leaving one with no way to make other arrangement. THE WORST.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Online to try and book a flight for my mother. I was getting an error because she was the "customer" or the person flying but I was paying with my card. The round trip flight was $333.58. Called into customer service and was given a price of $378 and then $401. Asked for a supervisor multiple times. Was transferred to the "supervisor" and she told me the best she could do was $378 and that "flight prices change"! If I did not have to book that specific flight to be on the same flight work family I would never have paid. Shame on them. They would only transfer me to a real supervisor once I said I was taking my feelings online.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I was charged twice by this airline. The worst airline I ever dealt with. This was a one way flight to Florida from Atlanta. Upon doing my online checking I was charged another flight. I am a ** whose trip was utterly spoilt by this airline. The check in at Atlanta airport was the worst. The long lines. The way staff shouted and not being friendly at all. I will not recommend this airline to anyone. All the extra costs! How sad!

Original review: June 29, 2019

This was the second time I used Spirit. The first time was the same issue. I paid for a bag that was $40.00 dollars. When I got to the kiosk they told the website was wrong then they charged me another $ 30.00. Total $70.00 for 1 bag. My flight was scheduled to depart at 420pm then it was changed to 710. At 6pm they canceled it. The reason they stated was the weather but no other airlines traveling to the same location canceled. Spirit left me stranded. They told I could leave from another airport 130 miles a $250 cab charge that they didn't cover. After adding all the charges Spirit charged it would of been cheaper than the higher prices if you're traveling for business or pleasure. Do your pocket and mental health a favor and don't use Spirit. The worst airline in the planet.

Original review: June 27, 2019

This time last year I made the same trip with Spirit and had no problem. I accept the fact the fare was higher this year because I didn't make it as far in advance; however, when I was allowed to check in online (24 hrs. prior of flight), I was shocked at the $40 charge for 1 checked bag. Also, I was forced to pay for a seat because that was all that was available! I will never fly Spirit again and will bad mouth it to everyone who will listen!!!! I now realize this review will never be shown because I don't know how to get to my receipt of purchase, which I didn't know until I continued with my review. But I feel better by writing it down and repeat.... I will do everything I can to bad mouth this lousy airline!!!!

Original review: June 27, 2019

Spirit Airlines has not provided any countable and meaningful service in the last 2 reservations I have made;

First Reservation:
Confirmation Code: **
Flight # NK 917

Date of Flight: June 20, 2019

The passenger who I made the reservation is Zakia ** and she happens to be my wife. She reported that even though she had arrived at the LaGuardia Airport 2 hours before the flight departure time, when she went to Spirit customer service desk for checking in her luggage, she was told that her flight has been canceled and my account would see the refund. Frustrating enough that neither my wife Zakia nor I requested for any cancellation and I logged on to my Spirit online account and checked her in online. She was totally frustrated and resorted to find another flight towards DFW on the same day and finally she managed to reserve a flight by another airliner and off course that was at a much higher price.

Second Reservation:
Confirmation Code: **
Flight # 718

Date of Flight: June 20, 2019

Spirit customer service has not provided means to have the credit apply to my family members. Apparently, the credit of $234.60 is going to be swallowed down by Spirit without providing minimal level of service. It is completely unacceptable, either logically or by any ethical standard. Spirit Airlines has nonsensically reduced its quality of service to this low level and it tells me that a number of corrupted individuals have formed a criminal gang at the LaGuardia International Airport. Spirit Airlines authority, BBB as well as the Department of Transport should investigate such infarction at earliest feasibility.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I received this email while I was at the airport and went to the gate and the representative said the flight was running late. We were at the gate at 2:45pm. With nowhere to sit at our gate we sat at the next Spirit gate. We were never informed the flight was going to leave on time! The gate board still said delayed, we then found out the flight left on time!!!! I have never been so upset before with a airline. There was two other passengers that missed this flight to Vegas because of the emails that were sent out. We had to stay at O'Hare airport till 1:00am in the morning. 12 hours! Rose **

Original review: June 26, 2019

$100 per minor for what? You have to pay for this for a minor traveling alone. However, they will not bring them to the exit where you don't have to go through security. Also did not see this in the literature. So they call when we are waiting. Now have to go through security (45 mins plus) when they could have walked them 300 feet to us in a few minutes. Absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I have never seen such horrible customer service. Spirit Air nickel and dimes you for everything. Carry on bag pay a fee, check-in bag pay fees. Want a seat, pay a fee. Oh and delayed all the time.

Original review: June 22, 2019

Flying from New Orleans to LAX. Flight delayed due to no crew availability.. ultimately cancelled flight due to weather. This way they don’t have to compensate for out of pocket expenses.. which accumulated due to triple increase in cost to fly home on another airline, hotel expenses. Spirit’s answer was to offer flights out two days later and a $50 credit voucher to fly with them again!! Please, hear me. Don’t fly this airline. Spend the extra money to fly with a reliable business. Save yourself the brain damage. Customer service was awful.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Terrible, lazy customer service. Failed to transfer our luggage and now I’m not sure if we’ll even get it back. Their planes are old with the most uncomfortable seats I’ve ever had to endure while flying. They charge you out the ** for everything. Although they disguise themselves under the premise of being “affordable” you have to buy your carry on luggage AND seats if you want to sit next to whoever you’re flying with. I will NEVER fly with Spirit again. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money to fly with JetBlue or Alaska. Seriously. Don’t make the same mistake I did.

Original review: June 17, 2019

For Christmas, I asked my aunt and uncle, a 71 year old Navy Veteran who had a fear of flying but was willing to take the trip for his wife and he was recovering from multiple surgeries including a semi-recent ankle surgery, to come to Cancun Mexico for a long overdue vacation. My boyfriend and I bought theirs and our plane tickets several months ago. We took United non-stop out there on June 7th and Spirit on the way home (Denver), which had one layover in Ft Lauderdale, FL. We paid over $2500 for all four of our round-trip tickets.

When we arrived to the Cancun airport, the check-in agent for Spirit informed us that we “had good news and possibly bad news”. He said that the good news was our plane was still coming, it was just running an hour behind. The bad news was that since we only had an hour and a half layover in Florida, that technically we would have 30 minutes to exit the plane, collect our bags, go through customs, recheck our bag, go through security and get on our new plane. He said that hopefully the pilot will gain some air time, which will award us with a couple more minutes to make our next flight. He said “Worst case scenario, you’ll just have to take the next flight out if you miss this one.” He said it so casually, as if it is no big deal. He did assure us that he would let the next flight know that we had a delayed flight but would hurry to our gate. We said ok and headed for our flight to Ft Lauderdale.

Sure enough, the plane was late and took forever to board. While on the flight, I asked the attendant if she could notify our next flight so we wouldn’t miss it. I also asked if we could get off first since we had 30 minutes and my uncle had a hard time walking with his rehabilitated ankle. She told me they don’t do that. As soon as our flight landed, we gathered a plan. I was going to stay with my aunt and uncle while my boyfriend went to get the bags. If he got left behind, he could just grab the next flight (since he didn’t have to work on Tuesday and the three of us did). We all rushed off the plane and headed straight for customs. We got through and headed to security. The line that my aunt and uncle got in was separate from mine. My boarding pass had a TSA pre check on it and theirs did not.

The computer that controlled their metal detectors went down just as they were about to go through. As they stood there waiting for it to be fixed, I promised them that I would run to the gate and tell them that my aunt and uncle would be right behind me. Since it was still a Spirit flight, I had assumed they would hold the plane for those that were on the prior flight. By the time, I reached the gate (which they had changed the gate and did not announce over the PA system – luckily, I saw it on a tv just as I ran by), I informed the guy at the desk of the situation and that they were right behind me. His response? He shrugged and said “Well, I hope they get here soon, before the gate closes.” I asked how soon that was and he told me “15 minutes”. I called both my boyfriend and aunt/uncle and told them they had 15 minutes. All 3 of them said they were on their way.

I board the plane and told the 3 flight attendants I was passing that I had family coming right behind me. They all 3 had the same response as the person at the gate – “Hope they get here in time.” A few minutes later, my boyfriend gets on the plane… alone. He said my aunt and uncle were right behind him. My aunt then calls my phone and says they’re at the top of the bridge, but the person at the gate will not let them through. My boyfriend rushed to the front of the plane and begged them to let him run up the bridge and bring them down himself. He explained that he was an injured Navy Veteran who was on a delayed flight and got stuck in a security line due to malfunctioning equipment and the male flight attendant simply said “I don’t care who he is or what he’s been through, I closed the gate. They’ll have to check into the next flight… which won’t be tonight.” And that was that.

Our plane then SAT THERE for an additional 10 minutes (attached to the bridge) until the pilot was ready to take off. Once we landed in DIA, I called my aunt immediately to find out what happened. They waited in several lines (along with two other handicapped families; one of which had a mentally handicapped daughter in a wheelchair who was not allowed on the plane when it first started boarding. They were told to wait until everyone else boarded AND another family who had a person on oxygen – both of which were on the prior flight that was delayed). They told the families they only had one other flight out of Ft Lauderdale and it was the next morning at 7:30 am.

This flight had FOUR, count them…1..2…3…4 layovers, one of which was 30 minutes long. My uncle had asked how they would make it through that in times, if he couldn’t even make it in the hour and a half we had on this flight. The customer service woman just said “Oh, it’s possible.” The rep told them if they found their own flight through another airline – all they had to do was call Spirit and they would reimburse them the cost of flying back. $1200 later, my aunt found two one-way tickets through United that left at noon on 6/11/19 and landed in Denver at 7 pm that night.

She and I have been trying to contact Spirit since we landed, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to speak to an ACTUAL person when you call. She had emailed the customer support, but has yet to hear a response. On top of ALL THIS, they also did not put our bag back on the plane in Ft. Lauderdale, so when we landed at DIA – the baggage assistant for Spirit told my boyfriend “Well, sir, it doesn’t look like you even checked a bag.” We both lost our mind over this statement. After she “dug a little more” she took a guess that they didn’t have enough time to put the bag on the plane and that it would arrive to our house sometime the next day.

So now we are out $1200, plus a days-worth of work for both my aunt and uncle. Not to mention, neither of them EVER want to fly again – yet alone go to Mexico in the future. Thanks Spirit, for neglecting and abandoning several families who were paying customers and did all they could to accommodate YOUR mistakes but were still left behind. We now know your stance on folks with disabilities and veterans alike. Kudos.

Original review: June 17, 2019

Booked one way ticket for $270. Paid online baggage fee $32, $17 for seat. Reached airport 1:30 hr before departure (8:00 AM) and it looks like flight is overbooked and guys at Spirit Airlines desk intentionally delayed giving boarding pass and collecting check in baggage, around 7:45 they said they can't give boarding pass as there is no time left for boarding. Now they are asking to pay $100 extra to get ticket in next day flight. Spirit Airlines is a scam, there is no guarantee until we reach the destination.

Original review: June 16, 2019

Do not fly Spirit Airlines unless you want stuff stolen from your luggage! I went to Puerto Rico specifically to find and purchase sea glass. Put my precious treasures in a box and wrapped in clothes in my suitcase. Got home and my box of beautiful treasures is nowhere to be found. The thieves stole it right out of my luggage!!!! I am so upset!!! Spirit Airlines are thieves!!!! They steal from your luggage!!!!

Original review: June 14, 2019

6/9/19 flight was delayed from New Orleans (even though we had a plane) - the reason given by the gate agents was that they were waiting on a crew. In fact, the gate agent told me he didn't want to announce over PA system because he knew people "would go nuts." They eventually announced that they were waiting on a crew, flight delayed and within 30 minutes the flight was cancelled. By now, it's 7:30 pm and no available flight that night or the next day to accommodate my schedule. Had to spend the night in New Orleans, eat and Uber without any compensation by Spirit.

They refunded the ticket but I had to spend $575 to get home on Southwest. Claiming it was because of weather, the gate agents sheepishly couldn't give any vouchers for ANYTHING. I will never fly on Spirit and urge others to do the same. It is a discount airline for a reason. No customer service and very poor handling of a sold out plane. The gate agents basically told everyone what was really happening and then "corporate" sent the email saying the flight was cancelled for "weather" related reasons. BS and so disappointing.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My two children and I booked a round trip flight to visit family. During our stay a relative suddenly passed away several days before our scheduled return flight. The funeral took place the day we were scheduled to leave so I asked to postpone the flight by a day. After providing Spirit with a death certificate, the change fee was waived, however, I was charged triple the amount for the tickets. Our return flight was scheduled exactly 24 hours the very next day. I am totally unsatisfied with their service and will not be giving my hard-earned money to them ever again. They lure you in with cheap prices, however, they kick you when you are already down in times of crisis. You suck Spirit!!

Spirit Air Company Information