Spirit Air

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The flight coming was ok except for the unprofessional flight attendants. They were too busy laughing around and playing to do anything about the bathroom door not locking properly. A lady walked in on my husband and he was so embarrassed. When my husband said something to the effect that if the flight attendants weren't so busy playing around, maybe the problem would have been taken care if. The flight attendant got in his face and told him, "Sir, we are flight attendants, not bathroom monitors." Very rude and didn't help at all to make an embarrassing moment better.

Now, to the real problem... coming home. Our flight was canceled about 5 minutes before boarding due to mechanical issues. So we all go downstairs to rebook. Keep in mind this is an early morning flight, 2am. So, waiting in line, the lady did move all the families with kids to the front, which was nice. We get to the attendant and she helps us with a flight that goes from Las Vegas to El Paso to DFW... great!! They gave us a hotel overnight.

We get up this morning to find out that there is no connecting flight from El Paso to DFW. The lady intentionally booked us this flight, knowing we had no connecting flight further than that. She just wanted to get us out of her hair!! I couldn't believe the dishonesty that took place. Not only did this happen to us, it happened to several other passengers as well. What if we wouldn't have had the financial means to book another flight home from El Paso. She absolutely did not care about what happened to us when we got to El Paso. The attendant this morning was much more helpful, her name was Nisa. They did take care of us and for now, we are set on a flight home later this evening. I would not recommend this airline at all. I myself will never again fly such an unprofessional airline that seems as though it trains it employees to just deal with the problem, even if it's dishonest and hurtful to the customer.

SPIRIT AIRLINES HAS SUNK TO AN ALL NEW LOW. My son purchased a round trip ticket to travel from his home to mine to meet his brand-new niece. The trip was planned and paid for a month in advance. On the night before the trip, my son checked in and received a confirmation number, indicating that his check-in was successful.

On March 10, 2017, the morning of his flight, my son got a ride to the airport and attempted to print out his checked-in ticket from the kiosk. Despite using his confirmation number, he continually received an error code. When he stepped to the counter to speak with an employee, he was told that he had not checked in and that he would not be able to board the plane. He showed the employee the confirmation email on his cellphone, but was still informed that he had not checked in. He was also told, a second time, that he would not make the flight, even though the flight was not set to leave for another 25 minutes.

My son contacted me to let me know that they would not allow him on the plane. He stated that he was told he did not have a seat. They also informed my son that he would not receive a refund of the money spent on the roundtrip ticket. He had paid $78.00 for the ticket and is out the cost for both legs of the trip. My question was how could they not have a seat for him, when he had confirmed he would be there for the flight.

I immediately went online and noticed that there were, in fact, no seats available. This confirmed to me that they had sold my son’s seat to another passenger. They not only sold my son’s seat, but now they are refusing to refund the money that my son had already paid for the seat. It is inconceivable how the company can retain my son’s money after selling his seat to another passenger. By selling my son’s seat, that have mitigated any loss they may have experienced by refunding my son’s $78.00.

Since the airline sold my son’s seat, they should reimburse him his money. The cost of the round-trip ticket is $78.00. They should reimburse the entire cost, because my son missed the first flight when the crew sold his seat, and therefore he has no use for the return flight either. The airline can just as well sell that seat.

I was trying to fly my daughter and new 2 month old grandson out to visit for a week from Wisconsin and when they arrived after a 2+ van ride to airport they were in line and were told the flight had been canceled no reason. I spend an hour on the phone trying to get them to a safe place, paying for them to get back home in Wisconsin and an hour on the phone. They changed their flight to Wednesday same time. Well needless to say $$ spent and frustration. They got a van ride back to MSP 2+ hours. Waited over 3 hours and got several emails saying it would be delayed but they promised me it would fly to Los Angeles. LAX was canceled again. I was told I would get vouchers several time for $125 and 2 for $25 and when I called back they said they Never said that and I was told that on Wed also.

If just my daughter was flying I guess I would not be so outraged but when u have a baby 2 months old, luggage, a car seat and not helped with any motel room compensation or no apology or nothing I feel like I was treated like a piece of **. NEVER fly with SPIRIT again and I hope others will boycott them due to disrespectful customer relations... NO customer relations should I say.

My husband and I were supposed to fly from New Orleans to Los Angeles today at 6:24 pm. The flight was delayed for reasons unknown and we are still sitting here at 8:30 pm. This is awful. This airline has such bad rating, why doesn't it get cancelled?

I paid more for this flight than I've paid in other airlines, then last min. was charged for carry on, seat. Ended up being far more expensive than with other airlines! The whole experience was a complete cluster **. I will never fly Spirit again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

I flew Spirit 4 years ago. I remember it being horrible due to late flight, charging me for my carry on, rude staff (it's not their fault) & I swore I would never fly them again. Well, I didn't keep the promise. I booked them for the last little leg of my flight coming back to the US from S Amer. After over 30 hours in flight with other airlines & getting ready to board the Spirit flight. I find out my Spirit flight is cancelled the last minute. No explanation, no offers of refund, no help to figure out what our next move could possibly be. Then we go to the customer service office to get our bags that we had prechecked. The office was locked, no one to be found to help. There were multiple people needing to get their bags & the office was closed??? We pounded on the door & finally someone came out (who was hiding in another room). I will never fly them again. I will tell everyone to boycott.

I had an unexpected family emergency. I went online to cancel my reservation. The cost of two tickets to Ft. Lauderdale was $479. Upon cancellation I was left with a 209 dollar voucher that I was told had to be used within 60 days. The representative I spoke to when I called said and I quote "Spirit Airlines make no exceptions not even in the case of a death." I would never fly with them and I am out $479 because I would not even consider using the voucher. So long story short read all the reviews not only mine but 99% of other review are negative. A sale not always a sale. :(

This airlines is the absolute worst and I hope with all my heart they go out of business. Do not fly this horrible airlines. I had booked a flight to see my sister and tried to change my $200 tickets and they wanted to charge me $300 to change it!! On the day of my little brother's funeral!!!! Frontier is a much better option than these money hungry dirt bags. None of my seat change fees, baggage fees or ticket fees could be refunded. There is a special place in ** for these kind of people.

BEWARE! Luggage SCAM special the manager Crystal in MCO (Orlando) who is sarcastic and humiliate people to rip off. They Scam to bill you the luggage. If you are going to depart from Orlando then I must advise you to be careful at their counter. Why does Spirit Airlines abuse its passengers? Does she receive commissions for any bag people pay? Be sarcastic and laugh in their back is not for a manager position. We saw you! And your employees what they do to others poor people. Never come back to that airline! I'm a Lawyer and duffle bags have the real measure and size in the store… Check your scale in your luggage scale. The 2 bars in lower give you 1 inch or more to steal the size. Next time you and your company going to have a big class lawsuit. You will see!

I had 2 experiences with Spirit, both terrible. Had a flight from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale. Spirit's own flight status stated that the flight is delayed by almost an hour, so we took our time getting there and at the gate. Still had plenty of time. When we got there, they said that the flight actually was on time and since it was within 45 min before the flight (just barely), they would not check us in. We had a little baby with us and there was just no compassion. I even showed them the status that stated the flight is delayed, and they didn't care.

We had a $400 voucher that expired 2/23/2017. When it was given to me (in Chicago), they told me to make the reservation before midnight 2/23. I tried to use it around 10:30 pm (Chicago time) on 2/23. I was having a hard time on the website, the code didn't seem to work. Tried to call and was having a hard time getting a live person. Tried the website again with more problems. I called the customer service again and waited till I got a live person.

At this time, it was just past 11 pm. I explained the problem and gave them the code. They said that I was putting the code in the wrong place but the code is "no longer valid" because it is past midnight... I told them that it was only a few minutes past 11 pm here in Chicago (central time), not to mention that I actually tried to use it even before 11 pm, but they said that it counts eastern time, and they didn't even acknowledge me trying to use it before 11 pm. I explained that no one told me eastern time and I got it in Chicago. Asked if they could allow me to use it, they wouldn't budge. I even asked to speak to a manager, they sent me to manager Gerald (employee# **), and he also refused. Look, I do understand that this is a discount airline and we shouldn't expect royal treatment, but some of this seems willfully deceitful with no leniency even when they are actually the ones who are at fault. I will look at filing with BBB.

Our flight on Spirit Airlines 386 on 2/19/17 was scheduled to depart from Orlando at 8:45 pm and arrive in Akron-Canton at 11:09 pm. We were informed at about 8:30 pm that there was an issue with the crew so our flight would be delayed until 11 pm. About an hour later we were told that they got new crew members so we would board soon. A little later we were told that unfortunately our flight was canceled. Then a little later we were told that they now had "legal" crew members and we would board shortly, but first we had to all go to any nearby gate to get new boarding passes printed. We boarded at about 11 pm and didn't move. We were told that all the checked luggage had been sent out of the plane through TSA earlier and it wouldn't make it back through security in time to make the departure, so the luggage would arrive the next day.

We arrived at Akron-Canton at about 2 am. There were people in wheelchairs and a lot of small children on our flight. This is not the way to run a business. What really happened with the original crew members? Rumors spread that they were fighting with the pilot. Other rumors were that the crew didn't know that they were supposed to continue on to Akron-Canton and refused. I can understand if a flight is canceled due to dangerous weather or a mechanical issue with the plane, but these reasons are unacceptable. This company and its managers have some serious problems with either overworking/underpaying/abusing employees or it's the employees themselves and they need to be fired.

I am a retired senior citizen in my 70's. I have belonged to Spirit's $9 Fare Club for some time. I made reservations for 3 of us to Florida for $129 each. One friend's husband had to have surgery and had to cancel. I found someone to replace her. When I called to do this I was told I had to cancel the original and make a new reservation for the oncoming. WHY? They already charged the credit card and a replacement (not a cancellation) was found. This should have been a simple exchange. Why have computers? The GUIDELINES would not allow this. I ran the risk of not getting the same flight, paying a cancellation fee. The flight went from $129 to $198, and when I went to check the bag it went from $31 to $50. I could never put into words how LIVID I was. What if this were my child or mother?

No matter who I spoke with (nice but all foreign) no one could effect change because of the GUIDELINES. I sincerely believe that someone mentally deficient drafted them and there was no consideration for the consumer. I was literally crying in frustration (I am usually a pretty tough bird) but this was utterly ridiculous. I should have been smart and just cancelled it all BUT the fees were nuts too. Something needs to be done!!! I see thousands of complaints with little change. When does something get done? Bare Fare is a --joke.

I booked a flight on Spirit Airlines thinking it was a cheap price until now I'm faced with having to pay for bags and a seat. How do they get away with this? I would have paid the same price on one of the better airlines. I wish I could cancel the flight but after reading all of the other complaints I don't think I would get refunded.

Our initial flight was diverted to another airport for mechanical issues, which was scary. The flight was bumpy & it put us back 3 hours, having us land at 1 am. It was inconvenient, but it happens. Our complaint is that they announced that we'd all be receiving $100 flight vouchers per person. They sent us them in $50 increments & we had trouble redeeming them. We called Customer Service & was on the phone for 2 hours. They tried to tell us that there were date restrictions and that the vouchers only accounted for a percentage of the flight based on the price - even though it said this nowhere on the website. They also tried to charge us $25 for having them book over the phone & $9 to sit next to each other, even though the reason we called was because we were having issues booking online due to our voucher. When it was all said & done, we got $30 off our flight. They are crooks.

I flew from Atlanta, GA to Houston, TX. I had a connecting flight from Houston to Las Vegas. Once I was in Houston and getting ready to board the plane, I was told that the flight was overbooked and I would have to wait until last to board. My seats were still available but were given to two other people instead. I was told that another flight was available 36 hrs later!!!

I asked if I was going to be reimbursed for the hotel reservation that I would be missing if I had to take the later flight, I was told NO! I then asked if the airline would compensate me for having to purchase last minute, one way tickets to my final destination, again I was told NO!! I was not offered a hotel stay even if I did have to stay until the next day!! I pretty much was stuck in Houston!! I had no choice but to purchase additional tickets on another airline to get to my final destination. I have even called the customer service number for the airline and was basically told the same thing!!! WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE for any company I have ever dealt with!! They do not care about the customer but only about making money! I would not recommend this airline to anyone for any reason!!! Pay the extra money for a ticket on a respectable airline!!!

I purchased 2 tickets to new Orleans thru JustFly. My flight was thru Spirit Airlines. I called Spirit to see about seat assignment. Was told I would have to pay $25 per seat for myself and my daughter. Then they as per carry on if I would like to pay my baggage fee, I said I was only doing carry on. They said yes that is $55. JustFly did not inform me of the extra charges, they did waive the seating fee because I have health problems. I told them that they need to let people know and the charges. They said the fares are so low that is why the extra fees, I am stuck but I will never use them again. Or JustFly travel company again.

I went to Chicago O'Hare International airport 1.5 hours early this morning to fly stand-by on a 7:00am flight from Chicago to Ft Myers FL. My original flight left at 4:00pm. My mother who is gravely ill needed me in FL so I requested to fly stand-by & paid the fee. The agent had no idea what she was doing, had a bad attitude & it took 30 min for her to issue me a stand-by ticket, really? I missed my flight by 3 min! I then went back to the desk & asked for a Supervisor. Suzie also had a terrible attitude & was not apologetic or helpful. I will NEVER fly this airline again!

I had the worst experience in Spirit Airline! I have flown with them many times without any issues. However this last flight from Panama to Ft Lauderdale was a nightmare. When we were about to arrive the Pilot announce, there was weather issues and we have been sent to Orlando, so at 6:00 am we arrive to Orlando. They did not let us out of the airplane for 2 hours. Finally when we got out in the line for immigration, a lady told us there were some buses waiting to take us to Fort Lauderdale. Yes BUSES!!! I was traveling with my two daughters 2 years old and 8 years old. I went to take the bus since there was no other option, waited another 2 hours for them.

Finally they arrive and we were in the Turnpike by St. Lucie and bus shut down. It was overheated. All passengers who had some water left in their bottle handed to the guys who were trying to fix the bus to reach at least to a safe place. The bus finally turn on and we continue to the first service area we found. The driver put some more water into the bus and we continue to Fort Lauderdale. In West Palm, bus overheated again, so they call another bus to take us to final destination, Fort Lauderdale Airport at 3 pm.

From 6:00 am that our flight was suppose to arrive, they did not offer any food or even water to us, and now I receive an email stating that I have a voucher for $50.00 for my next purchase! I call and said this was an insult after all I had to go through and they said take it or not, it is a courtesy and I do not have to take it if I don't want to. They will not compensate any further, since all that happen was not in their hands. Even if they applied those $50.00 dollars per person, toward what I HAD PAID already I would have been happy, but they are giving us nothing! I paid about $1400 for 3 tickets. It's not that it was the cheap flight of 59.99 as they usually have!

I made a reservation with Spirit airlines and couldn't make the fight so I called & cancel. Of course, you'd never the money back but they issue a travel credit, which is fine. I didn't receive the citizenship as yet so I didn't want to the chance of traveling. I called to give them the new date of when I wanted to travel but was told that my travel credit has expired a few days ago and there's nothing they can do about it. I spoke to a supervisor and was told the same thing. I got very upset because they didn't try. She said the system won't allow us to make any changes once it has expired and there's nobody else I can talk to about it. It just can't be done.

Why is there a limit on when I can make a reservation on a travel credit, it's my money. I was willing to travel with the worst airline in history just for a weekend trip to the Caribbean. Now I won't get my money back and they won't extend the travel credit so I can make another reservation. This is very upsetting. People work hard for their money just to let it go to some giant company that doesn't care about their customer or passengers. They see dollar signs and I can't believe that there's nothing anyone can. This must give a them a bigger bonus at Christmas time.

On my way to my destination I did not get charged for my carry-on baggage and then on my way back home I got charged $89.88. I did not have anything extra in my bag! There was no reason I had to pay that much for a small carry-on bag! I will not be flying again with this airline! I am highly disappointed!

Every time I have been given a voucher for a canceled flight the voucher never works. And after I call and I am told it is correct. I enter it every way possible and it always comes up invalid. Then when I call for help with it I'm told that there will be a $25 fee for booking over the phone!

Unacceptable Refund Fees - I planned a trip to Las Vegas for the four owners of our construction company to participate in the CONEXPO, the Construction Industry Convention. Due to an unforeseen hardship I had to cancel our trip. I booked the airfare on September 07, 2016 and our flight was booked for March 07, 2017, I cancelled our flight on February 08, 2017. They charged us $563.87 in Fees and gave us a $390.80 reservation credit that must be used within 60 days. NO return of ANY of the $954.67 dollars that we gave them 5 months ago.

Essentially their customer service is terrible. They use shady tactics to get money from you, by lying about anything. And also will tell you anything to get you off of the phone, so if problem persists you have to call back and someone else has to deal with your problem. I was told customer relation form online was to someone in the USA, but funny enough I received the email at 2:00 AM pretty sure it was still India. Spirit customer service are liars and someone should do something about it, their tactics are completely unacceptable. Below is a second email sent to the customer relation site:

"I would like someone from corporate to call me. Someone from the United States. This email addresses nothing it's just some generic email and addresses none of my complaints! Your employees are committing fraud. When I called they only offered me the most expensive seat and demanded I give her a specific seat number and every seat that I gave was "unavailable" (this was during the first flight IAH to LAX). While on the phone with your representative I checked all the seats I had given the employee and they were ALL still available. Your employee was lying. This is FRAUD and completely unacceptable. So I hung up and called back to speak to a supervisor to complain and get a fair price not one I am being forced into buying.

Then the issue with printing our boarding is another example of your employees just flat out lying! I called because I could not print boarding pass from my laptop, phone, or desktop. I would get "Internal Error". When I told this to the employee he asked what browser I was using, I said Internet Explorer and Safari, he tells me to use Chrome and proceeds to rush me off of the phone. As he quickly tried to get me off of the phone. I told him I tried this with THREE different device, but he still said it was a problem on my end. I even explained that I had used these same device before to print my boarding pass. Well while explaining this I used Chrome on all those devices and sure enough same error. Clearly this employee was Lying about everything. The issue was with the Spirit website not my end. And left me to pay for my boarding pass printing.

Is it regular practice for your employees to commit FRAUD AND LIE, to the customers? In both my experiences with Spirit customer service they both were dishonest and rude employees. It is sad the tactics your employees are using to push your sales. I demand a phone call from United States corporate employee and not some generic email that does not address any of my complaints. I was told by your supervisor Kim that would going to someone in the United States. But again must be another lie."

If you think you'll pay less flying with Spirit you are SO WRONG! I've recently flew to Philadelphia and had to pay $100 for my small one piece carry on. They've been charging for seats, and of course forget about free sodas or water, you literally have to pay for everything. I've never see the flight attendants looking so sad and unhappy, even they don't want to fly Spirit. The seats are no way to be used for 5 hour flight. They stiff and it feels like you are sitting on the piece of metal. The bottom line is they aren't the budget airlines, as they portray themselves, they just figured out the smart way of ripping off the people!

On 2/4/2017, I purchased two tickets to fly from Fort Lauderdale to New York on 2/7/2017. The advertised price on their website was $49 each. When I made the reservation, I did not select any seats, to avoid the extra seat assignment overcharge. However, when I went to pay for the tickets, they added an extra $18 for my seats ($9 each) without any seats being assigned. That is absurd, because the actual price turned out to be $58 per ticket, instead of the advertised price of $49. THAT IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT.

I recently flew with Spirit Airlines earlier this week from Las Vegas to Minneapolis. My flight left on Tuesday. Right after I boarded the aircraft and gave my boarding pass to the gate clerk I must have set my purse on the counter. Right when I got to my seat I noticed my purse missing and I knew it was at the desk because I didn't have my boarding pass either. I immediately let the flight attendant know. He wouldn't let me off the plane which I do understand is a rule, but he claimed he called down to the gate to check if it was left there. I do not think this was done because right as we landed Spirit Airlines called my husband from my phone saying they had my purse the whole time.

They told me to set up a FedEx account and I could pay them to overnight it. So I did this. About 50 phone calls (countless hours on the phone) and 3 days later I finally got my purse shipped to me. I paid for overnight, but it took 3 days for Spirit to even get the bag to FedEx. This is the worst customer service I have ever dealt with or actually even heard of. Once I finally got my bag all my cash was missing which means their employees are thieves too. They told me they had my bag the entire time, which can only mean one of their employees took it. Avoid flying with this airline. Their claim to fame about their cheap fairs is only a gimmick. You will end up spending way more time and money if you fly with this airline. Stay away.

Last week I arrived to Spirit Ticket counter 1h before the flight and the person before me was the last one to be checked in before the flight was closed. I was unable to get a boarding pass earlier that day online and had no bags to check. Still, I lost the flight. I called Spirit to explain. The customer service said I was a no show and therefore they could not issue any credit for the flight. I waited 30min for a supervisor who gave me a credit of $41 out of $190 that I paid for the ticket. And gave me 8 weeks to use the credit. Poor customer service at the counter. Poor customer service when calling them. Poor cancellation policy... Poor company overall. I WILL NEVER FLY WITH THEM AGAIN.

My spouse and I traveled to Aruba and took his elderly father with us. We had a great time until the trip home. The plane had mechanical issues (which I know happens) but they kept us all on the plane for over 3 1/2 hours and would not let us go to the gate for snacks or food. All they offered us was water and a bag of pretzels. I wrote to Spirit since you cannot talk to anyone to complain to and I got an email back with 6 vouchers total stating that they will expire in June 3016. Yes 3016. I just went to book my flight back to Aruba and when I entered the voucher # it said it was expired. I called and spoke to over 6 agents that all told me to go file another complaint and to attach the email in the complaint. They do not have a very good customer service policy. I do not recommend Spirit to anyone. Now is the waiting game to see if they will redo vouchers.

I get $35 plane tickets! Some are in the 40s or 50s but they're all sooo much cheaper than any other airline. Every once in a while other airlines are cheaper but that's rare. Without Spirit I wouldn't be able to travel. The planes can be a little cramped sometimes but I've flown Spirit about 12 times and they're well worth the money.

Today I will start a complaint against Spirit Airlines. I was ripped off for $38. No it's not a lot!! I'm sure I'm not the only one. I asked them the difference between paying for my luggage online or paying on the phone. The woman kept saying it's $50, no matter what I asked. I went online after and noticed that it's $31 per bag. I called back within 5 minutes and was told that there is nothing they can do but they would get back to me in 24 hours.

The next day I called and the first person I spoke to told me that nothing has been reviewed. I asked for her supervisor and she tried not to get me anyone until I became very insistent. The supervisor told me she listened to the recording and that I never asked about online. She actually tried to tell me my conversation in the wrong order. She told me there was nothing that I could do that I never asked about the online price. She then got me her supervisor who told me that there was nothing she could do! Has this happened to anyone else or anything similar? If so, let's get a group together for a class action suit!!!

Spirit Air Company Profile