Spirit Air
2.96/5
Based on 1,206 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

pricing, allowing them to pay only for the options they want – things like bags, seat assignments and refreshments. With our Fit Fleet™, one of the youngest fleets of any major U.S. airline, we operate more than 460 daily flights to 65 destinations in the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean.

View More View More

Looking for a travel site?

2402 Spirit Air Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 5, 2019

Traveling on a budget airline, I prepared myself for the worst and had very low expectation. Fortunately, I had a great experience flying from O'Hare (Chicago) to Baltimore (BWI) this past week. The incoming flight arrived late but the crew was able to get all of us boarded and the flight left on time even during bad weather. Although there was no free drinks, not even water, it did not bother me. In fact, I found the plane cleaner because no drinks or food was served. In addition, I was pleasantly surprised that I was deplaned faster than ever (in less than 2 minutes from Row 22) even though the plane was quite full. I noticed almost all the passengers were young (probably why they used budget airline), have almost no luggage and they move super fast! Perfect flight for me. I arrived on time and was on the curb in 10 minutes!

Original review: June 27, 2019

I was searching for a low charge book from 1(877)696-0333 soul aircraft's telephone number and same week travel. Spirit is constantly useful around there, have constantly utilized them when conceivable. Simply ensure you get your sacks paid for online with your reservation and booking or you will pay a strong charge. Traveling with as little luggage as possible, no sacks. They permit little close to none thing, little knapsack at no cost additional. Be that as it may, continue and handled packs when done AHEAD of time are likewise sensible. Ideal administration for me.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Where: Montego Bay Airport, Jamaica

When: Sunday, 5/25/19

Who: Spirit Airline Supervisor Jan(ique)

What: My flight was delayed and I never received notification that 1) the flight was behind schedule 2) I'd consequently miss my connecting flight and have to spend the night in a hotel and arrive home an entire day later than I expected to. The supervisor (Jan) graciously spent 45 minutes trying to search other options, and secured a seat for me on a direct flight leaving soon after I arrived at the airport. She coordinated with security to ensure that I reached the gate in a timely fashion, at no extra charge and with no issues. Jan and her team went above and beyond to assist me and I am so grateful for the considerations that they made in order to get me home on time.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We found Steve ** of the Myrtle Beach, SC airport to be extremely helpful in getting our luggage problem straight. We couldn’t do it online. He was very polite, friendly and very efficient. This took place on our return home trip to Stewart airport in Newburgh, NY. On October 25, 2018. Thank you, Steve!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My wife and I fly 3/4 times a year for vacation. Our 1st and 2nd choices are southwest and American, depending on where we are going. However, we needed a late flight and wanting nonstop Pittsburgh to Vegas, we went with Spirit, we upgraded to the big front seats and bags package. The plane was brand new and the crew was very friendly. We enjoyed our flight out and back, only issue was 30-minute delay coming home due to airport traffic in Vegas. We will definitely be flying Spirit again, as long as there are 2 big front seats available.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

NIGHTMARE ON SPIRIT AIR. This literally is the hood city bus of the air! In fact worse. You pay for everything, I believe I may have paid to sit down during the flight. $110 just for a checked bag overweight under 50lbs. Everyone flies the same class...LOW. Never again will I fly this airline. Not sure how they even stay in business. Spend the extra money to avoid the this "Nightmare on Air Street"!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Let me start with I'm 39. And my husband nor I had ever flown before August 25th 2019. My husband decided had decided to try flying versus driving like we normally do from Columbus, Ohio to Orlando, Florida. I'm scared to death of heights and planes. He purchased tickets with Spirit months before our flight. And due to his size 6'7 300+ pds we decided to spend the extra money round trip to upgrade to the big seats and assigned seats so he could fit comfortably and so we were sitting together and kinda alone. We had no issue leaving Columbus. Our flight out of Columbus was scary for me just 'cause it was my 1st time flying and I had a panic attack. I wish I could give our attendant a 5 star review. He deserves it. He seen I was scared and crying. And went above and beyond to help calm me and comfort me bringing me tissues. He really was very helpful. And I would love to Thank him again.

My 1 star is for the problem on way back. Like I said we not only paid for big seats. But also for assignment seats to sit together. All our documents showed we had the same seats that we had on our flight to Orlando for our returning flight until after we checked in for returning flight. They had then had me in seats we paid for but had moved him 4 rows back. We couldn't call to reach anyone due to being on cruise. So I tried their Facebook contact us info. With generic and untimely responses. At airport we had to stand in line for 20 min to speak with someone who knew nothing, and then wait again for over 45 minutes for a supervisor to try to fix their mistake. No luck.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I and friend were flying to Las Vegas from Indianapolis to celebrate my sister's birthday on June 9. We had a later flight after 8pm. We arrived at the airport 3 1/2 hrs early. My friend kept receiving text messages that the flight was delayed. Once we got to the departure gate the outgoing flight status was still delayed. Our flight time came and went. Travelers were getting agitated and almost 40 mins after our flight was supposed to take off, the flight was cancelled. There were lots of angry people. We were told that it was cancelled due to lack of staff. How could this be?? It was after 10:30pm when we finally were called up to the front and the lady told us that the next flight we could get on wasn't leaving until the next evening. We wouldn't arrive to Las Vegas until almost 10pm on Tuesday. We were only staying until Thursday. We cancelled everything with Spirit and we finally found a flight out of Lexington, KY that left early the following morning.

It had a connection in Chicago and would then land at Las Vegas on Tuesday morning around 9:45am. We had to rent a car which the rental area closed at midnight and it was 11:45p when we finally got things straightened out. We drove 3 1/2 hours to get to Lexington, KY. This cost us an additional $278.00 for the flight and another $116.00 for the rental car. I've never had such a bad experience with an airline. I will never fly Spirit Airlines. No wonder the flights are so cheap. You don't know whether you have a flight or not.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

This was my first and last time flying with Spirit Airlines. I've never been so nickel and dime in my life. They charge you for everything; carry on, seat, coffee, water, etc... I wanted to change my carry on to checked baggage. I was told that I had to pay a $10 cancellation fee and pay the check baggage fee of $40 and the $30 carry on fee, was nonrefundable. So, $80 to check my 1 luggage.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

We were in LA September 1st expecting to fly to Cleveland. Told flight was cancelled due to Hurricane Dorian 2700 miles away, three time zones away, in the Atlantic Ocean. Not the Pacific ocean. No weather issues where I was in LA or was going Cleveland. Told my problem not theirs. Told earliest out was three days away and told they Do Not help you find an alternative airline. Told would not provide accommodation. Heard next Agent telling their 'Valued' Customers, who pay their wages, they could "Sleep on the Floor" if they had no other alternatives.

Facts - Hurricane at the time of cancellation had not hit the US coastline or Bahamas for that matter and FL airport was open and did not close till the next day. Due to poor planning for a known pending storm I and others had to pay for their errors in judgement stranding customers needlessly. The plane should have been moved away from FL to avoid damage and to their next destination, LA in this case for their customers down the pipeline who have no weather threats affecting their travel and to fulfill their contracts (purchased tickets with all the terms and conditions) with their customers.

I understand Weather can interfere with your flight, but not weather events 2300 miles away, who would have conceived the 'Act of God' Clause applied to areas outside of the weather event. DOT needs to crack down on these airlines and there needs to be some consumer protection legislation forced upon them to treat customers with the respect they deserve. Without us they have no JOBS.

Spirit Air Company Information