1.22/5
Based on 170 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

pricing, allowing them to pay only for the options they want – things like bags, seat assignments and refreshments. With our Fit Fleet™, one of the youngest fleets of any major U.S. airline, we operate more than 460 daily flights to 65 destinations in the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean.

Read More Read More

Last updated: May 23, 2018

2154 Spirit Air Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2018

I booked a flight from Columbus, OH to Las Vegas, NV. I went to CMH airport to purchase the tickets and save money on the fees. They were new in Columbus and the attendant was not trained very well. He messed the ticket up multiple times. Flew to Vegas with no problems. Paid $40 each way for 1 checked bag. So the total was $80.

When I got ready to check in I noticed my return flight was for the following day. I went to LAS airport and spoke with Spirit representative and was told I would have to pay $99 to change my flight. I did that even though the guy in Columbus messed up. There was a total of 10 of my family/friends on our flight. Mine was the only one that was messed up!!! Then I was told when they changed the flight I lost my checked baggage that cost me $40 and I would have to repay. Argued with attendant but she would not waive the fee so I paid the additional $40. I WILL NEVER FLY SPIRIT AGAIN!!! I have told everyone I know not to fly them as well. Terrible customer service.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I will never fly Spirit Airlines again and let me tell you why. On 5/17/2018 I was on board flight 496 traveling from Orlando MCO to Newark. I guess the term “you get what you pay for“ really is accurate. The first minor issue was that they charged for snacks and refreshments, some airlines add that towards the flight however Spirit does not. The second minor inconvenience was that there was no onboard WiFi nor was there an option to purchase WiFi. During the flight I had nodded off, during the landing process it appears they announced that cell phone use is prohibited, I missed this announcement due to falling asleep. The plane was nearly on the ground when I picked up the phone to ensure that my ride was available when suddenly a female flight attendant had asked if I was on the phone, I replied “yes“ in a regular nonaggressive manner.

The then proceeded to speak to me with disrespect as well as aggression, at that point I stated that she needs to approach me with respect and explained that I missed the cell phone announcement, she disregarded and continued to verbally attack me so I kept reiterating that she needs to have some respect. A male passenger in front of me turned around and stated “respect goes both ways“ which I agree however I did not use any harsh language as she had used. Upon exiting the plane I informed other flight attendant as well as the pilot regarding what happened and apologized for the disturbance. I contacted Spirit Airlines customer service and explained my situation and this was the reply I received.

"Thank you for contacting the Spirit's Guest Relations Team. I'm truly sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with the level of service you received. I assure you that we are committed to offering quality customer service and ensuring that your flight experiences are both positive and memorable. We apologize if your experience fell short of the standards we strive to achieve every day. I can assure you that the level of service you received is not a normalcy with Spirit. I've personally shared your comments with our Flight Crew Management team for review and training purposes. Paul, without your feedback, it would be hard for us to determine exactly where we need to improve. I'm so grateful that you've taken a step towards assisting us in our goal to continuously enhance our operation.

While I know that we can’t change your past experience, I’m hoping a Future Travel Voucher will encourage you to give us another chance to serve you again. I've created the voucher for you in the amount of $100.0 that you can use towards your next Spirit flight. In order to view the amount that your voucher should cover, once you click the dropdown arrow next to “Flight Price,” your voucher will go towards a portion of the “Flight” breakdown. Vouchers will not cover any additional government surcharges, passenger usage charges, or compliance fees.

Vouchers cannot be used towards bags, taxes, seats, or on-board purchases. You’ll have 60 days to think of an awesome place to go and book it. You don’t have to fly by the expiration date, just make a reservation before it expires. I've provided the information for your voucher below: While I know we can't change your past experience, I can only hope that you will have a better experience on future flights with us. We hope to welcome you onboard a future Spirit Airlines flight soon. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us, I'm here to help!"

After stating why I cannot accept this voucher that is valid for 60 days due to work related circumstances, I offered to compromise and meet halfway with a partial refund. This was the reply. "I'm deeply sorry that you aren't satisfied with my resolution. In the event that a guest successfully boards his/her flight, we are unable to issue a refund since our airfares are nonrefundable. While I understand your request, we are unable to provide you further compensation at this time. If there’s anything else that I can do to help, just let me know--I’m here for you!"

At this point I’ve chosen to leave the situation alone count my losses and move on. I will not accept anything from Spirit Airlines nor am I willing to settle anymore. I’ve decided to leave this review on many review sites so that everyone has an idea of how Spirit Airlines handles situations. Now for the returning flight 983 Newark to Orlando MCO. I was about to board the plane when I was stopped and told that I have to check if my carry on luggage fits the size requirement bin in order to board with it. I stated that I flew on the same plane and the luggage fits in the overhead compartment however they stated “well if it does not fit in this bin here, we will have to charge you”.

At this point I began to get angry and kept stating that the bag will board with me as it did on the previous flight. Once they began to use harsh tone I did the same then shoved my luggage into their bin and made it fit. They repeated that it has to fit all the way in so I shoved the remaining small portion in and stated that this is literally theft. I had no prior knowledge of this attempt charge for luggage and had never heard such a thing. I’m no way did I allow anyone to charge me for anything other than the ticket price I agreed to buy. 1 round trip ticket and 1 carry on bag. This was my story with Spirit Airlines. I hope that the readers of this do not fall victim to Spirit Airlines and I actually hope all read this and consider flying with a different airline.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Purchased 4 tickets. I had to cancel one due to death in the family. Spirit Airlines ended up canceling all of our flights which I didn’t want to do and it caused me to lose $580 for absolutely nothing! They were very rude, unwilling to help me keep my flights or reimburse me for the money lost! Absolute CRIMINALS!!! Do not fly with this airline!!!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I had the worst flight ever on Spirit airlines in February 2016. I did not renew my Spirit membership or $9 fare club, I actually cancelled it immediately after my flight. Fast forward to this month's statement and I look and there is a charge for $69.95 on my bank statement. I call the bank and the Customer Service representative says, "Try calling Spirit directly and getting the refund, we have recently had lots of customers with this same complaint." So an hour of trying to get a number from them to call, I got through. And 25 minutes later had a very unhappy employee try to tell me I authorised the charges. Which I assured her had not happened since the flight from Hell in February 2016. And I had cancelled my membership immediately. It did not renew in 2016 or 2017 yet in 2018 they tried to say it was an automatic renewal.

Funny my address had changed, my name has changed and the only thing that matched was my birth date. She reluctantly refunded me the money, making it clear they would not ever refund me anything again, but said it would take 7-10 business days. I assured her that my bank was ready to process it immediately as they were aware of the unauthorised charges. Not to worry I will take a train or bus before I fly Spirit. Evidently my next step is to file a complaint with the Department of Transportation to be sure they do not charge me again in two or three years. Go with any other airline and you will be happier, arrive on time, have courteous flight crews, have crews that know how to handle turbulence, have landing and take offs that do not scare the crap out of you. They are in Financial disarray and I can guess why.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I booked a flight on Spirit from Chicago to Atlanta. The first leg of the journey was okay. My problems began on the return leg. My 7:59 pm flight on May 14 was delayed till 8:31 pm and I got an email notification. The next email said the flight had been delayed till 10:31 pm, and then again till 11:31 pm. Then at 5:19 pm, I received another email saying the flight had been restored to 7:59 pm. I decided to call Spirit's customer service to verify if the flight had indeed been restored and I was told the flight had been cancelled due to bad weather in Chicago.

I called my friends in Chicago and was told there was nothing going on weather-wise that should affect flights. I called Spirit's customer service again and at first Supervisor Sandy ** who is somewhere in South America could not tell me why the flight had been supposedly cancelled and then when I informed her that the first customer service person I spoke to said it was weather related she proceeded to confirm that there was bad weather in Chicago leading to the cancellation of the flight.

I was eventually booked on a flight from Atlanta to New Orleans and then Chicago. However, when I arrived at the airport I missed the flight and was subsequently booked on a Thursday afternoon flight through Dallas, TX to Chicago. The apathy shown by the customer service people was disgusting. My son spoke to Sandy ** extensively on the phone, and she just lacked customer service skills. Whatever happened to making things right for the customer? Honestly, If I could rate them zero stars, I would. Needless to say, I will never fly Spirit again, even if they are the last surviving airline. I'd be better off going Greyhound. In fact, I'm pretty sure this airline will not have a rating of more than one star anywhere they've been reviewed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: May 15, 2018

Ticket pricing does not include baggage as everyone knows. There is ticket pricing, baggage, NSA, seat, etc. But if you miss your flight all monies are lost not just ticket price. Please don't purchase any extras until needed. Seats are usually put together if available so you don't have to purchase extra charge for seats unless you book late or want a larger seat. You may need a larger seat because regular seats are small and unconformable. The baggage fee if paid in advance will be lost even if you don't check your baggage. Per manager **. They will issue a $40 luggage rebate which is only good for 60 days. Who wants to book another flight after this experience?

Original review: May 11, 2018

16 April 2018 I canceled my membership prior to the renewal of my membership to avoid paying for a membership I have no intention using... Took me hours to navigate the cancellation process to include sending an email... Have a screenshot of the cancellation... Today saw a Spirit A/L payment on my CC... Logged into Spirit and saw my membership was active again... I canceled, again... Sent Spirit an email concerning this with the screenshot... Absolutely no respect for customers... This airlines business model seems to be to get as many one-time fliers to join, provide the worst flying experience, then make it almost impossible to quit... They don’t care about retaining repeat customers at all.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Their Miles awards are a complete scam. In order to avoid fees for using your miles you must book flights 6 months in advance. I am fine with that. I tried doing it a couple of times and as of right now they don't even offer any flights 6 months out...so basically you can't avoid their 15 dollar fee. Here's is what their website says as of right now... The following non-refundable per-guest award redemption fees will apply: $0 (No Fee) - Award ticket requested at least 181 days prior to departure. $15 - Award ticket requested between 21 and 180 days prior to departure. $75 - Award ticket requested between 7 and 20 days prior to departure. $100 - Award ticket requested 6 days or less prior to departure.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Family trip from Minneapolis to Orlando in April of 2018. Bags did not arrive with our flight on Saturday. Filed a report with the baggage office in Orlando when we landed. I was told the bags would arrive the following day, Sunday. Our family drove back to the airport on Sunday and the bags did not arrive. Baggage office in Orlando committed to calling me back on Sunday to give me a heads up on where our bags were. No call, no email, nothing. Completely dropped the ball. We went and purchased the items we needed to begin our trip.

Once we returned home, I completed the forms Spirit requires for expense reimbursement, I was told someone would get back to me in "the following weeks". After nearly 2 weeks of hearing nothing, I followed up and was told that I needed to mail all original receipts, of which I submitted photocopies of to the claim 2 weeks previous. Truly one of the worst overall customer service experiences I have ever endured. I won't give Spirit a cent of my money again. What a joke!

Original review: May 9, 2018

Wow, I normally don't go out of my ways to do these review. But the experience I just had with Spirit Air customer service team was not only disappointing, it was outright horrifying. I did a booking with Spirit for my family to travel back with us from San Diego to Michigan, Booking date was set to match our travel and we paid it, I sent the confirmation email to my family who called me 2 days after booking to say the date doesn't look right. I called Spirit and was told, if we wanted to change it it would cost twice as much. If we cancel we lost everything no refund.

I asked to talk to someone who can make this situation right, was transfer to manager Allen ** who took me that, since I made the mistake that is the cost. I said there is not reason for me to book for my family to fly with us on different date. He asked me who did the booking and I replied I did. He said, "Then you made the mistake, there is nothing we can do." I was such an promoter for Spirit Air due to the low cost enabling people who weren't able to travel before now can. However, after this experience I will not only never travel Spirit, I will now make sure my circle of influence to never do business with them at all.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Flight staff was polite and courteous, a passenger got on the flight that smelled like they just smoked weed in the airport terminal, the smell was very sickening, the flight staff just sprayed some type of perfume which added to the awful smell. Which when combined resulted in my wife having to use her inhaler to help her breathe. The return flight home was uneventful and no issues. We ordered in flight food and drink and was charged that day for it as expected. What was unexpected was 2 months after the completed flight, we were charged AGAIN. Spirit refuses to refund the money because it's more than 30 days old. In the process of disputing with my bank. If you choose to fy Spirit, do so at your own risk, WE WILL NEVER FLY SPIRIT AGAIN.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Well, where should I start. I guess I am going to start by saying Spirit Airlines SUCKS with all capital letters. It begins with a journey back home from a nice retreat vacation I had in Oregon. I was about to board my first of two flights home to Houston. I had one checked in bag that I paid 55 dollars for and one small duffel bag that I can call personal item and a sleeping bag that weighs no more than 4 pounds that I was told by Spirit boarding receptionist in Oregon that you can put it under a seat. He was also explaining to all passengers that if you have luggage that has wheels must be checked in and any small bags will be considered personal item that can be stowed under your seat or the overhead if there is room. So I did what they told me.

Now the flight from Oregon flew to Chicago and this is where all the BS Crap started. As I was about to board my final flight from Chicago to Houston the boarding receptionist told me that I was not allowed to bring my sleeping bag and needed to be checked in and that I had to get out of line and go down the hallway to the customer service and check it in for 65 dollars. I was being punished by Spirit for not checking it in sooner. That is crazy by punishing passengers for not checking any bags. I looked at him and said, "What. Are you kidding me?" and asked him why did Spirit allowed and instructed me in Oregon everything is fine. He repeats himself like a broken record. In any case I tried to pay him with my credit card since they do not accept cash.

Not even Spirit trust their employees with money. But, He would not even take my payment at the gate like other Spirit airport location would have. And keep in mind that Chicago is one of Spirit main hub and their terminal look like they do not use this terminal as a one of their hubs. So, as upset as I am for this punishment for not checking in my 4 pound sleeping bag that only cost me $15 I went down the hallway to CUSTOMER SERVICE as one of their customers and tried to explain to them that I was on a connection flight and was told by Spirit in Oregon that I am fine with my luggage arrangement. But Spirit customer service told me that I am in Chicago now and I have to pay $65. I still tried to understand why $65 and not even offer me the lower rate since they made a mistake in Oregon. In any case I will admit I was upset in my right on how they are treating me as a customer.

As I was handing my credit card to her she got ugly with me by taking my card and throwing it at me and told me she was not going to help me if I disrespect her. I was not disrespecting her. I was upset with the company policy on how I was being treated. Spirit Airline treated me with disrespect. Customer service in Chicago needs to be trained on how to treat their customers and not talking like they are on the street. Spirit Chicago Hub is horrible. Well, I went back to the gate and I was recommended to throw out my sleeping bag by the boarding receptionist. I had to get home and I brought the sleeping bag to a recycling trash can and said to the people around if anyone needs a free sleeping bag and I left it there.

As I boarded I quickly look behind me to see the bag was still there. And of course not. Someone swiped it up fast. I will never fly Spirit Airlines again. Their slogan says “The Bare Fare” and that mean you can fly a little cheaper with no luggage. Not much cheaper than the other airlines and the other airlines do not mind carry on and sometimes one checked in luggage is included if not it usually cost like $25. So in the long run it is cheaper to fly the other airlines with much better CUSTOMER SERVICE. The CEO Robert Fornaro of Spirit Airlines and his aides really needs to look in and improve customer service in all of their Spirit locations but most importantly in Chicago. There is more I would like to share about this horrible airlines but that may be another day. Make your trip Pleasant by not flying Spirit.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I was a member of Spirit Air for a year, rarely used membership, and forgot about it until I received a charge for renewal which I didn't want. I sent them email, to which they didn't respond. I then filed dispute with my credit card company. Spirit Air then refused to reimburse my card and refiled the charge. They are crooks (to say it mildly).

Original review: April 28, 2018

My boyfriend and I were recommended to Spirit by a friend who speaks very highly of the airline. Our negative experience began with our flights and luggage. We were traveling from PHL to FLL/MIA. There were zero direct flights between these major airports. All of the flights included two or more 2+ hour layovers in Atlanta, Chicago, and Dallas. Spirit advertises the “Bare Fare,” but there’s no explanation of what is included until you try to check bags and carry-ons. What airline charges for a carry-on, and why is it more expensive than checking a bag? I have never had to pay for a carry-on, and am usually always comped a checked bag.

Our original flight out of PHL to FLL, was fine, except the seats were so uncomfortable. I felt like I was sitting on a piece of hard plastic. It wasn’t until we were flying out of FLL to PHL with a layover in ATL, that our experience took a turn for the worst. We boarded the plane, that was supposed to take off at 4:50 pm, at 4:30 pm. We literally sat on the plane until almost 5:30 pm awaiting take off, with no explanation from the crew. I was in a seat that sat up at a 45 degree angle and ruined my back. I was so uncomfortable the entire flight.

Once we landed in ATL around 7:30 pm, we were told we would have to wait for a gate for 30 minutes. In actuality, we sat on the runway for another hour before a gate was available for us. Once we docked, the flight attendant told us that we couldn’t get off the plane for food because we were taking off immediately. Hungry and irritated, we made our way off the plane and still had to wait 20 more minutes to board the plane again. We were on a single plane, in the most uncomfortable seats, for over 4 hours. Needless to say, we will never fly Spirit airlines again.

I understand that in some circumstances, issues are out of the airline's control, however the staff did nothing to rectify the situation. They compelled us not to get off the plane for food, but wouldn’t even comp us a bottle of water (which was originally $3.50). I contacted customer care immediately and expressed how upset I was with my experience. The customer service rep offered us each a $50 travel voucher. How does this seem logical? Why would I accept a voucher to travel again after the experience I just had? When I asked for the value to be applied towards our $200 checked baggage fees, I was told that the fees are non-refundable and that all they could offer was the vouchers. Completely awful experience. I will always pay double for a flight on another airline because I know I’ll be comfortable, taken care of, and not ripped off.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I made a last minute trip on April 13- April 16 from Baltimore to Orlando to take my children to go see my mother who has cancer and lives in Florida. I decided to go with Spirit because the flights were the cheapest. The flight down I had no issues, we left on time. Arrived on time. The seats are a little uncomfortable but it was a short flight so didn't really bother me. The trip home is when the problems began. My flight was scheduled to leave a little after 9:27 am. I checked at 1am to see if flight was on time and it was. I left right before 6 and flight was still on time; the website says to get there 3 hours early, get there only to see my flight was delayed to 11 am, then delayed again and again, flight didn't leave until after 1pm. The delay was NOT due to weather. It was a "CREW ISSUE". I could have spent that time with my mother. I complained and they gave me a flight credit for $150 dollars for me and each of my children for a total of $450.

I thought it was nice and that we would be able to return to Florida sooner to see her before the cancer gets worse. Well I went to book my flight for June when my children were done with school and use our flight credit since you can't transfer it. Our 3 flights came up to $306, the voucher would cover it. Oh was I ever so wrong. I would only be able to get a $3.00 credit for all three of our flights out of the $450 and we would have to forfeit the rest of the 447$. I have spoken to many customer service people and the only thing they suggested was "Flexibility is the key; choosing flights at different times or on alternate days may make the difference." Or told me to select a different destination where the flight portion was more. My mother has no flexibility with her cancer. They said there was no way they could help me with voucher, they can't override it.

The next thing they offered was a free seat assignment but not the big front seat of the exit rows (the seats they offered were the ones you get when you self check in). I have never been so disappointed with customer service before. How can you be so insensitive and tell me to fly somewhere else or change my dates. I do not plan on traveling anywhere other than Florida to see my mother as she is my only concern at the moment, I am not thinking about a vacation.

And while a lot of people think that 300 for 3 RT tickers isn't much, I am a single mother with 2 children with one on her way to UMD in the fall so 300 is a bit much to be spending. Not to mention I already paid for my room. Now I have no way to get down to see her or to even get to the room that I paid for. Very very disappointed and will not use them again and have a lot of friends and family who will not use Spirit Airlines because of this situation. You, Spirit Airlines, have just lost a lot of business.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I’d give it a zero if I could. Spirit Air is ridiculous. I flew Spirit today... We were charged $130 for 2 carry-ons. WTF! As you enter the plane, the attendants don’t even greet you. Way to make you feel welcome! The seats are horrible, not enough padding, do not recline and have the world’s thinnest armrests. No music or even a place to plug in electronics. The tray table was disgustingly dirty with crumbs and dried food stuck on it, there was trash from the previous passenger still in the stretch corded “pocket”.

No monitors or TVs, water and snacks are available only for sale. At one point, I was afraid they were going to charge for the use of the bathroom. During the flight, a flight attendant goes down the aisle with Spirit credit card applications. Really? The attendants generally don’t even make eye contact with you. Can you blame them? I would be embarrassed to be working for Spirit if I were them. As I exit the flight, again, not a word from the three flight attendants, they were too busy talking amongst themselves to notice the passengers exiting. I will let you decide for yourself. As for me, back to a real airline that acts like it wants to keep your business and where they give a damn about customers.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Do not use this janky airline unless you want to be bumped to a later flight or delayed for hours or some other horrid situation with Spirit doing nothing to help. There have been times when I was bumped off the flight and not notified until the day before. Other times my flight was delayed 3 hours and I was given no connecting flight despite paying for that initially. Spirit was great but it is despicable now and customer service is nonexistent. No matter how cheap the flight seems it will end up costing you too much given you will have to fly with someone else in the long run because they will bump you or delay you with no connecting flight. Take my word for it. Not worth it.

Original review: April 15, 2018

This March was the First TIme I used this airline and it was only because JetBlue was full. You have to pay extra for everything except the air you breath. The Attendants could care less about you... they do what they are paid to do. I will never use this Airline again and was shocked that an Airline can get away with charging for so much for so little. DON'T USE IT UNLESS DESPERATE.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Will never use this company again regardless of the lower price offerings vs their competitors. Our flight was delayed by 11 hours of which we had to sleep in the airport on the floor. This occurred at the Fort Lauradale FL airport yesterday. When directed to the spot counter, I asked to speak to a manager named Helen. After waiting 30 min to be acknowledged by her, she was not helpful and offered nothing. No refund, hotel to sleep in last night, refund for the hotel I booked at my destination, refunds for the excursions that I had booked. When we checked in this morning, we waited in a 45 min line just to be told that our “delayed” flight did not have seats for us as there was a personnel error in transferring this delay. After much discussion, we received a seat. No shower, no sleep, and no compensation for poor service and a day of our vacation lost. There is no empathy, professionalism, or restitution from this despicable company.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I purchased my tickets through Travelocity. Thought it was a great deal. Two round-trip tickets for $600+. I then I had go to the actual site, as it directs you, to add my bags and seats. $160.00 for bag check for 2 people. I thought that was reasonable since it was for the trip both ways. Seats were $73.00 per person which was a lot, but the leg room was bad if you didn't choose the front seats. Later found out the seats do not recline. Which I must say is horrible for a 3 1/2+ hour flight. Then I did the "express" security check in and line which to most people would make you think you were getting to board first... No ma'am/sir, it gets you zone 2 seating. Why would anyone pay for zone 2 seating (rip off).

So I chose to say 2 carry on bags. Now mind you, I didn't look to see if there was a price, but apparently I did not select this on my return flight. Or I didn't get stopped/charged on my way to my destination. So I stated that I had already paid for this (at least that is what I thought). They said that there is a cost for carry on as well. When we got to the check in line, they transferred us to the flight desk to get our tickets reprinted. They go on to say it is because we need to pay for our carry on bags $65.00 per bag? Really, for a bag that most people can put under their seats?

So since they planned to overcharge for something that should have been free, we then go on to ask when was this offered at the time of booking? I indicated that I purchased everything upfront and they could clearly see that. The attendant said that it should have given me an option to do a package, it did not. She goes on to say, that (paraphrased) "oh, that's because you booked through a travel agency." But wait, I was kicked to your site to do all of the ala carte purchases, so why does it matter if I booked the flight only through a travel site?

My point is, do not book with Spirit Air unless you don't have carry on bags, you do not have more than 40 pounds of bags to check (every other airline has a 50 lb max), and do not purchase extras unless you cannot fit in a smaller seat or have space issues. There are other airlines that offer a la carte options and they are at least within standard guidelines as those that include it in the price upfront. The customer service is horrible and they do not care about their customers at all. They are trained to charge you, be inflexible and to not "work with you" if they realize that you were not given options that could benefit you upfront. I've never written a review over the years that I have traveled and we spend thousands of dollars on our trips; if you are going to claim cheap prices and great customer service, you better be able to demonstrate it. $1429.16 later...trip through Travelocity before kicking me to the site was $671.16. Never again!

Original review: April 8, 2018

Airlines allow one personal bag and a carry on item. Why does Spirit charge and they don't tell you up front. $$$... Not only did take away my direct flights I am now stuck in layover land for 7 hours. No emails about changes!!

Original review: April 2, 2018

Purchased vacation through Vegas.com. Package was with airfare with SPIRIT airlines. When looking at baggage fees on Spirit.com it states fee of $60 (round trip) if placed at time of booking. However after booking with Vegas.com I never got an option to purchase baggage for $60. Called customer service and they put me on hold for 45 minutes. (I guess they figure most people would get tired of hold and hang up.) After a total of 55 minutes of the phone I'm told since I booked through a 3rd party I have to pay the ludicrous rate of $90 for 1st bag. To add insult to injury they said since I on the phone trying to book baggage it would now be $100.

Original review: April 2, 2018

So I had purchased a ticket for my sister to come visit me. She ended up having a medical issue that prevented her from being able to travel. So I called and wanted to cancel the flight and said it was about $140 and then the remainder would be a credit to travel within 60 days. Then I asked if I could change the reservation to a different name and they said no. It could only be done in her name.

So then I looked at booking another date and with the fees and booking the flight it would end up costing an additional $300 with the credits. So basically they stole $300 to provide a service that they didn't. Will never deal with Spirit airlines again and I will tell everyone the same. Their customer service is based out of India-Pakistan and they can not answer any question outside of their script. I tried talking to them but they could not understand what I wanted, and kept saying the same response to wanting to change the flight online... Costs more to do that then the original flight... CROOKS!!! CROOKS!!! CROOKS!!!

Original review: April 1, 2018

8 minutes after arriving at airport, Three and half hour delay... Was on time to drive to airport. Ridiculous. Third time this crap happens. Sick of this airline. Uncomfortable. Pay for water. Pay to wait around the airport...crap! Fly different... You're not saving that much.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Horrible services and unbelievably high baggage prices. $125 for a 40 lb bag plus a small carry on. My first time flying with this airline and DEFINITELY my last. Have already told all of my friends about staying away from this airline. A total rip-off. Stay away, or you'll be sorry. Consider yourself forewarned.

Original review: March 29, 2018

There is a reason that @SpiritAirlines is the ONLY airline with a 2 star rating in the entire United States. I wanted to surprise my four children with a trip to Universal Studios. After months of saving money, I booked our trip over my children’s school break. Our flight was from Latrobe-Orlando on March 29th 2018. Well, at 11:00 pm they canceled the flight due to “weather” despite the fact that EVERY OTHER airline in Pittsburgh had no cancelled flights going to the same destination...? We didn’t find out until 4:30am when I woke my four over excited, sleepy eyed children up to catch our early flight.

After calling relentlessly and trying to rebook online the next available flight they could get us on was days late. So, I had to cancel our trip. My condo and my rental car are Nonrefundable. So, I’m out $2,000. That’s not a small number for my family. Not at all. In case you were thinking these things rarely happen, let me tell you about my vacation in June of 2017... where my entire family was already in Florida, I had to work so I had my four children, and my nephew. We were to fly down the next day. We arrived at 5am to the airport to find out our flight was... you guessed it CANCELLED. I had a six month old at the time and you can imagine what one adult, four children, and a six month old looked like standing at the airport having no clue what to do next.

Spirit's “solution” was to put us on a flight 4 days later!!! So I had to pay nearly two thousand dollars to book on another airline. The best I could even book was to Fort Lauderdale. Which was over two hours from where I needed to be, and we landed at 11pm with. SIX month old... so I thought there’s NO way they would do this twice. So, we booked this trip through the worst airline in planet earth. SPIRIT. So here I am, out a ton of money again, with disappointed little ones, wishing we were in Universal Studios. Not to worry though, Spirit offered me $ 100 vouchers for an upcoming flight as long as it’s within 60 days... no thanks Spirit, keep it. Clearly money is your only motivator anyway. DO NOT BOOK WITH SPIRIT. They will cancel your flight and book you DAYS later!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I was traveling from Baltimore to Orlando on 3/19/18 by flight NK781 at 10.54 am. We arrived on time and went directly to the gate and on airport monitors, it said that the flight will be leaving around 11.48 am instead of 10.54 am. We printed our boarding pass at home and I wasn’t checking any bag, there was no need to see any agent and by trusting the monitors, I went to have some breakfast. Then I casually looked at the monitors by 11 am, the sign said the flight was departed at the original time 10.54 am. I called them for a refund and they refused to give one. Just they are cheating the customers and I want everyone to know that.

Original review: March 26, 2018

How to treat your customers. True story. Spirit Airlines allows you to cancel a $198 reservation. Here's how it works... Fare $67.90. Bags $70. Seats $30. Gov't Fees $30.70. "We can cancel your reservation but there is a $90 cancellation fee" (more than the fare). Here is the breakdown: Cancellation fee $90. Non-refundable carrier fee 39.98. Credit balance $68.62 that you can apply towards another trip as long as you take that trip by May 25th 2018.

So they basically refund the fare but NOT THE UNUSED SEAT NOR THE BAG THAT WASN'T CARRIED ON! I could live with the $39.98 as a service fee. I'd consider that fair. They didn't do one thing for me to make this reservation except set up a website and give me access. They actually tell you on their website they prefer it if you do things online, which basically means they don't have time to talk to you because if they have to talk to you they'll charge you a listening fee and they're customer service averse. Can you imagine owning a business and stealing from people like this? You'd be shamed out of business so fast your head would spin.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Airplane NK730 from LA to Chicago at 8:30. My boarding time is 7:45 but my airplane took off at 8:30. I arrived there 7:50 because of the traffic, and I hope there would be a way to help me get on the plane and check in the bag. I asked the staff who was assisting the line, and she told me to go to the gate, they may check the luggage for me. HOWEVER, the staff at the gate said "WE DON'T DO CHECK IN HERE, PERIOD." And it was 8:10 already, she asked us to go out again and check in the bag, which is impossible because even if we checked in, we cannot make it on 8:30. and we go out again, I try to talk to someone who is more PROFESSIONAL THAN THE WOMAN ASSISTING THE LINE.

I told the staff I have an emergency, I just want to ask a question, my flight is about to go and I have to take this plane. The lady even didn't let me finish my words and asked me to wait in the line. Her attitude is so bad, that when finally after waiting in the line, we got the chance to speak, she ignored us and didn't reply any words to our question. WE ARE JUST AIR HAHA. I took out camera and start video her performance. Then she started to look at us and change our ticket.

Spirit, if you have money, please just hire someone who handle things and know things, alright? We could have make it if the first lady know we cannot check in in the gate. We could have make it if the lady who ignored us could finish listening our words. And answer question. AT THIS SITUATION, WE CAN FIND NO STAFF IN SPIRIT WHO CAN HELP CUSTOMERS. THEY ARE JUST KICKING US AROUND. Please do something to improve your staff.

Original review: March 20, 2018

No one would help us when we called in. They have $38 flights on their website and we tried booking... it wouldn't work. We've had these same issues for the last year and a half. We have to always call in to book. They try to first make you pay $25 per reservation just for calling in for a website that doesn't work. We talked to the phone reps and Supervisors and they speak to us as if we are dumb. They have been taking money from us for years. We have tried patronizing them for many years because my husband and I are Master Card Holders. That hasn't made a difference. We were unable to book that flight we saw because they wanted to overcharge us over the phone.

The representatives claim to not be able to see the prices that we see online, yet it is being advertised. I believe that the site isn't working on purpose, just to get us to call in, just to make us pay the $25 for booking, and another inflated fee tacked on to the price. Now, my Husband doesn't want to fly with them anymore, and wants to close his credit card with them. We ended up booking with another airline paying more than $30 more!

Spirit Air Company Information