3.07/5
Based on 1,185 ratings submitted in the last year

Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

pricing, allowing them to pay only for the options they want – things like bags, seat assignments and refreshments. With our Fit Fleet™, one of the youngest fleets of any major U.S. airline, we operate more than 460 daily flights to 65 destinations in the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean.

View More View More

2320 Spirit Air Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 16, 2019

The seating isn't as roomy as I would like, but much better than expected. All check-in and flight personnel were courteous and efficient. My flight was delayed, but we surprisingly arrived on time for my departure from Atlanta. There are minimal amenities, but for the price I was willing to compromise.

Original review: March 7, 2019

They provide good transportation at a low cost to your destination. This means no frills and you will pay for everything that is not your personal transportation. Once you understand that you can travel just about anywhere pretty cheap.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Only pay for what you need. You don't have to pay for bags, food, bigger seats or drinks unless you choose too. You can also purchase tickets for 20% cheaper at the airport to save more money. Plenty of flights for under 100.00.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We found Steve ** of the Myrtle Beach, SC airport to be extremely helpful in getting our luggage problem straight. We couldn’t do it online. He was very polite, friendly and very efficient. This took place on our return home trip to Stewart airport in Newburgh, NY. On October 25, 2018. Thank you, Steve!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My wife and I fly 3/4 times a year for vacation. Our 1st and 2nd choices are southwest and American, depending on where we are going. However, we needed a late flight and wanting nonstop Pittsburgh to Vegas, we went with Spirit, we upgraded to the big front seats and bags package. The plane was brand new and the crew was very friendly. We enjoyed our flight out and back, only issue was 30-minute delay coming home due to airport traffic in Vegas. We will definitely be flying Spirit again, as long as there are 2 big front seats available.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: May 24, 2019

If I would be able to travel in time I would gladly fly on any national airline but Spirit. My spouse booked our flight to go to the conference from Chicago to Boston last Sunday. My eyes popped when we plonked down $100 for two small carry on bags. The plane seats were literally like from some prison movies, hard, informal, minimal, the backs did not reclined, there were no jacks for the earphones, the tray and elbow rests were the perfect size for midgets, yet, not for humans.

The flight was delayed by about 40 minutes. As passengers sat on the plane, the smart flight attendants began offering WATER for $3. When I asked what would that do if a person would have a cardiac attack and would require water would they dispense some water? When I asked for some water for our four year old who was parched at that time, lone of the female flight attendants generously gave me a cup with some ice without a water: "There you go, sunshine." The hubris, cynicism and condensation seem to be this airline principal philosophy. Today on our way back home on May 23 the flight from Boston to Chicago was delayed for 1:40 minutes, again, no apologies, no water, nothing, people sat on that Guantanamo plane like prodded cattle, tired, disheartened, sad, looking at each other with resigned patience.

In flight, Spirit flight attendants were briskly offering free miles to passengers who would never take another flight from that murderous outfit. In my professional opinion, that airline should be immediately investigated by the FAA for violations of basic human needs, false advertising, bait and switch tactics, excessive fees and deceptive practices just to start. In contemporary United States this parody of customer service should not even exist. We are not a third world country of docile citizens who get abused with impunity. Not here, not in the States.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I have flown the airline twice. Second time that I have flown (I am at the airport) and with delays (already at 3 hours) and having to get off the plane twice!!! I have a family emergency with only 1 day available where I am going and now I will barely get 1 day with my family. I wish for a refund immediately and to never experience poor service like this again. I highly discourage anyone to fly this airlines. I am a patient person just a denote. But, I don’t know how they are still functional. Incredibly disappointed AGAIN. I feel like I have wasted my time, HARD earned money and cannot attend to a loved one in the hospital. Literally emotional as I write. I hope someone reads this review and is deterred from flying this airlines and I hope someone from Spirit can read this to reach out and help.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I had booked a flight with Spirit Air when I realized that most of the other airlines were not direct flights and we would arrive too late for an appointment in LA that afternoon. I realized that Spirit charged for baggage although not aware of the extreme prices for a carry on almost 100 dollars for 2 carry-ons, plus seat charges if you want to sit with your spouse, plus another 43 dollars for checked baggage. All total I could have saved money flying with Delta.

My total reason for choosing Spirit was that the flight would arrive at 2:05 which would enable us to make the appointment at 4:30. The flight from Atlanta was delayed no less than 3 times arriving a little more than 2 hours after the scheduled arrival time. In addition I paid $140 for baggage and seat charges, which were only for the flight from Atlanta to LA. I also need to add that. After a more than 2 hour delay I was a bit thirsty and after I found my seat I requested a cup of water from the steward. I was informed that there was no free water - I would have to pay for a bottle! I told the steward I would just go thirsty.

After missing my appointment in LA and spending a few days sight-seeing in LA, we were preparing to return to Atlanta that evening. I began receiving emails notifying me that our flight would be delayed. Between about 11 that night and 5 AM the next morning I received no less than 11 emails informing me that the flight time was delayed or then advanced by a few minutes. Instead of leaving at 10:49 as scheduled we eventually left at 1:37. I will also add that my baggage and seat charges for the return flight were $175.

All total I paid over $300 more than the ticket price as well as arrived later than the Delta flights I had considered before selecting Spirit Air. I could have actually saved about $200 dollars by flying Delta and arrived earlier than the direct flight with Spirit Air. Also I must add that if you had a Spirit Gate agent print your boarding pass they charge an extra $10 dollars for that as well. NEVER WILL I FLY SPIRIT AIR; NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: May 14, 2019

Spirit Airlines is the worst airline ever!!!! Save yourself a lot of frustration & don’t travel with them no matter how cheap their rates are. Outbound flight - 4 hour delay out of DFW. First delay because their crew didn’t show up. Second delay related to wind. (Can’t control the wind, I will give them grace on that one....) Because of their delays, I missed my connection in Atlanta & had to purchase the last outbound Delta flight from Atlanta to Orlando. Then they lost my luggage (this was over 2 months ago) & I am still trying to get them to pay the claim. I spent hours & hours of my time that should have been spent with my children, having to replace all of the contents of our luggage.

All I’m getting is a run around.... apparently, this is what they do to all of their customers when they “lose” their luggage.... I have spent thousands of dollars replacing the contents which included both of my sons clothes, some of my clothes, all of our toiletry items and several sets of my jewelry. Return flight - There was a man on the flight who was obviously under the influence (appeared to be high). He was yelling loudly, cursing and making animal noises for over 2 hours. There were a lot of families with children on the flight, including my two sons and my best friends family with their two sons.

The flight attendants continued to serve this man alcohol even though it was obvious there was an issue. This continued until the passengers confronted the airline attendants about it. The man even struck another passenger beside him in the head and continued to yell & curse & make animal noises. The passengers demanded something be done and he was finally removed from his seat and put in the jump seat. The Spirit Airlines staff should have intervened sooner and taken care of the situation. This airline has terrible reviews - thousands and thousands of similar complaints. If this is how they handle their customers and luggage issues, I can just imagine the lack of maintenance for their aircraft fleet.... Horrible airline. Don’t risk it. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I had reservations March 17, 2019 @ 6:45 am In Arlington Texas flying to Atlanta GA. We arrived @ 6 am. They were giving my niece a hard time because her ID has her middle initial on it. After 30 mins of talking they agreed to accept the birth certificate angling with the ID. By the time we got to board the plane had left. I was assured a $400 credit (ticket cost) I have emails and personally talked to Spirit employees in person and over the phone that day and after the long drive back to GA. Today I tried to use the credit I was informed that I didn’t have one and my flight was marked as a No Show. The representative was very rude and wouldn’t transfer me to a supervisor.

Original review: May 6, 2019

My flight was delayed for several hours. No compensation whatsoever. Just sit and wait. I was to Arrive from Detroit Michigan to Las Vegas at 7:25 p.m. with all the delays I arrived at 1:30 a.m. a loss of several hours off my vacation. Let’s add another $130 for carry ons. My purse was considered my carry- on. So cheap ticket yes, add another $130 to it, not so cheap. Never again will I consider flying Spirit airlines. A total rip-off.

Original review: May 5, 2019

First time passenger with Spirit Airlines, and LAST TIME!!! Flew in on flight 754 from Orlando to Philadelphia On May 4, 2019. I know you hit turbulence, but the way the pilot handle the situation was horrific! Never prayed so much in my life!!! Poor children crying and screaming, literally thought we were going to crash! Will never fly with Spirit Airlines again!!!

Original review: May 5, 2019

After hours of being online and then on the phone to make a reservation, first you can ONLY book by talking to a COMPUTER VOICE. They don't pay human beings. After the long and tedious preparation of the reservation, they say, "We will now connect you to a live agent to complete your booking". I am typing this as I wait already 35 minutes to "complete my booking". I accidentally hit on the 9.00 "fare club" Where NOWHERE can you see the 59.00 charge for the "club" which I clicked on by mistake. I am disputing this charge and will NEVER PAY it and NEVER FLY THIS FIFTH RATE WORTHLESS "AIRLINE". You lose your mind trying to get customer service!!! SPIRIT AIR HAS NONE!!!! AVOID!!!!

Original review: May 4, 2019

I have flown Spirit from Detroit to Fort Lauderdale over 15 times. No issues. However, Detroit to Oakland-major issues. First time: Detroit to Vegas to Oakland. Stranded in Vegas for over three days. Hotel costs, food, transportation etc. It added up. People were literally crying due to exhaustion etc. I figured every airline has issues at some point. Booked a flight from Oakland to Detroit. Canceled the second DAY in a row-with NO notice. I'm missing my friend's college graduation. I built in an extra TWO days to get there. So please, if you have an important event or deadline- DO NOT fly Spirit. I can't tell you how painful it is to not see my friend walk for her Master's degree.

Original review: May 2, 2019

There will never be a next flight. Your company is criminal and I hope class action lawsuits are filed. You send an email and the app says there is a 2 1/2 hour flight delay (5pm to 7:30) so we don't rush to the airport. Then at 5:12 you send an email (nothing was changed on the app) that the flight is departing at 6:10. We get to the airport at 5:45 and they close the gate with at least 25 people in line.

We convince them to let us through and we run to the gate (where the plane is pushing off). The attendant tells us there was only two seats left. You have the nerve to tell us we missed the flight. You oversold the flight, booked all the standbys and screwed the customers that had reservations. We got no hotel voucher, no food voucher and had to fend for ourselves. Why would you change the departure time if you don't honor it? The app obviously means nothing. Me and my wife lost a day of work and almost lost our jobs, was forced to stay another hotel night, food, had to add home care, dogsitting and lost at least $500. And when we called we were basically laughed at. I absolutely hate Spirit and will never travel again. Get ready for the smear campaign. Not that you care.

Original review: May 2, 2019

There was a glitch in the system in regards to their price and they wanted a me to pay more money. I asked to cancel the flight and it was less than a hour that it was purchased. Spirit informed me that they will not reinburse the flight because it is under seven days of departure date. My mistake was going back to an airline in which I had bad experience before hoping that it changed when it just got worst. STAY AWAY from this airline!

Original review: May 1, 2019

Never again! Arrived at Fort Myers airport to fly to Boston on Sat April 20th. Flight delayed over 2 hours, only to have them cancel it. Best we could find was a JetBlue flight out of Orlando on Monday. So missed Easter w/ the family and had to rent a car to drive to Orlando. Now I'm on hold w/ Spirit trying to get my money back for the flight that they cancelled.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I've flown hundreds of times. I will never fly Spirit Airlines nor refer anyone to ever fly them. The tickets are cheap but then they charge you high prices for everything else. The checked bag weight limit is even lower than the standard so they can charge you overweight fees. They want you to pay to set for seat assignment or they just seat you wherever on the plane. Nothing is complimentary. It's all crazy priced. Luckily my flight was only a couple hours because the flight attendants were so unprofessional and the seats are so crazy close. It's the worst flight I've ever had. Pay a few extra bucks and enjoy your flight with a different airline.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Spirit Airlines is the worse airline I have ever flown with. They charge for everything and cancel flights when no other airline cancels. The staff are rude. Carry-on costs more than checked bags. They do not offer anything to drink/snack complimentary on the plane. They charge for putting you on the next flight which may be 5 or more hours later. They act like they are doing you a favor. This was the worse experience I have ever dealt with-with an airline. I will tell everyone I know to never fly with them. They are classless and do not deserve to share the same space with other reputable airlines in an airport.

Original review: April 23, 2019

On 4/21/19 Easter Sunday, I showed up to airport at 8:00 AM for my 10:00 AM flight to Cleveland. My flight was delayed 45 minutes. I check in and go through security. As I am sitting there waiting to board my flight, I receive an email that my flight has been canceled. I look at other flights in the area and no other airline is canceled, but Spirit to find out it was canceled due to crew related issues... I proceed to wait in line for 4.5 hours to try and get a new flight. At this point, I already know I have missed Easter with my family and frustrated because I have been standing in a line all day.

My gf who I took was crying and wondering why no one could help us out and what made it so difficult to reschedule us a new flight. We went through 5 different employees and each of them would disappear and come back 1 hr later. Some of the employees couldn’t figure out why only one boarding pass printed and just gave up and left me there wondering when am I ever going to get home and how much longer will I waste my Easter sitting in an airport. I also wondered why only Spirit airlines had delays and cancellations. All your employees were yelling at each other and no one worked on helping me out. I had the worst experience of my life with Spirit airlines. I cannot believe you facilitated in such a manner and no one knew how to get my issue resolved. I waited and waited and I am confused on why it was so hard to be helped. I am scared to ever take Spirit again and have to deal with what I went through.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Our flight out of O'Hare is now delayed 3 hours. We also learned that many flights from Spirit are usually delayed. Apparently this is not a rare occurrence. What's the point of being so economical if you are not reliable. People lose connecting flights because of this poor service. Leaving Ft. Lauderdale, the lines were horrific too. We almost lost our flight. I guess we get what we paid for. Never again, that's for sure!

Original review: April 1, 2019

On March 5th I booked a flight from Houston to Chicago for Spring Break for my boys and I. My flight got booked from Chicago to Houston, I immediately called Spirit Air to notified them of their error and they told me that the only way they could change me to the correct flight is if I pay $1,500 more. I told them that I was not interested and to cancel my flight and requested a refund. I was then told that in order for them to give me a refund, was that I had to put out a claim, which I did. I did everything that they asked me to do even called many times and all they've done is give me the run around. Our vacation was ruined and my money was taken out of my account. I will never book with Spirit Air. I prefer and recommend Southwest.

Original review: March 31, 2019

They did not give me any of their policies regarding cancellation. They kept my whole fare as a cancellation and after calling customer service, holding and being on the line with them for 39 minutes, I was no closer to a resolution. They are horrible, I would suggest that you fly with any other airline than them. There is a reason that they are rated the worst airline to fly with, I wish I had known that prior to booking my flight.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I made 2 reservations on March 2, 2019 to Orlando FL. The reservation stated that I had 24 hrs to cancel so that I can get my money back. But it didn't say anything else in reference of cancellation. I also purchase insurance. On March 20, 2019 I had to cancel due to I was traveling with my son and he had to change dates. Because I didn't have the money in my credit card, I canceled first and I was waiting for Spirit to credit my account. I waited 5 business days. I called today (03/28/2019) to find out that I have an account with them and I have a credit. In other words I HAVE TO MAKE RESERVATION WITH THEM OR I WILL LOSE MY MONEY!!! Also they say I have only 6 months to get a reservation. They also took $90 per ticket cancellation fee. So, I'm not getting all my money. The insurance only cover if you are dying or ill. What a rip off. Don't recommend this airline to no one. I'm losing almost $800 on a flight I canceled.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Spirit Air is the worse airlines ever. They charge for everything and they don’t advise you if you’re getting charge for something. I have seat assigned when I checked in online. When I arrive at the desk I asked if there’s any seats closer to the front and the rep said yes and so I said I’ll take those. Next thing I knew saw a charge on my credit card. She did not inform me but it will cost me $50 for some tiny space seat just like the regular seats. I flew with the other lines and have asked for a better seat with no extra charge. Never fly with this airline, they’re a rip off.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I have booked 5 flights with Spirit Airlines since December 2018. Not one time did the customer service rep number or the website operate correctly. First it was a server error. Next it was a technical difficulty. Then the entire website was down. Then I was double charged on my VISA. Each time, I had to call to clarify and most often with a customer service representative who knew absolutely nothing and could not speak English.

Today, I arrived for a return flight from Saint Thomas, Virgin Islands. Conveniently, they said that I had not pre-paid for my checked bag to return home. Really? That’s not what my itinerary said. But before I could move forward through customs, I had to pay Spirit not $35 but $50 so that I could get my bag home. Beware of this airline. Their re-branding efforts have been excellent. The crew is always wonderful. It’s the other part that is impossible to deal with, and that’s the most important part! It’s my money, and I think I need to spend it wisely. Goodbye Spirit! You are no better than you used to be. BEWARE. Not even a return call as a courtesy.

Original review: March 25, 2019

My experience with Spirit airline was always the worse ones that you could have with an airline. This time was something really unprofessional, disrespectful, and frustrated. In my coming back flight to my destination I got my bags opened and stole. Meaning the people that put the bags from the airplane to the section that we get the bags, opened my bags went thru everything to try to find something that I don’t know what because I just had used clothes and winter clothes.

They stole all my winter clothes and Spirit want me to prove that I had the clothes while their office in the airport didn’t had all the things to make a full complaint because they couldn’t weight my bag because didn’t had a weight machine. Really good office! And now I don’t have my winter clothes, I waited for almost an hour to get my open bags, and I don’t get nothing back from them that would be helping my side.

Original review: March 19, 2019

After trying many times to book with 5+ agents via phone call, I was not able to book a simple flight and neither were they. They said their computer system was down? This went on for THREE DAYS with still no satisfaction. Although they kept apologizing, they offered NO solution and NO extras for the inconvenience.

Original review: March 18, 2019

They suck and I hope they go out of business! Their customer service is terrible. There really is no customer service. They are rarely on time and their seats are uncomfortable and they nickel and dime you to death!

Original review: March 17, 2019

When my flight was canceled. I called Spirit to see what my options were but kept getting disconnected. My husband went online to book a different flight. When the confirmation came back the dates were wrong. I tried calling Spirit but kept getting disconnected. I was also getting charged cancellation fees. I went to Spirit in DIA. The ticket agent gave me a different flight that didn’t meet any of my preferences and charged me over twice the amount I originally paid for. She said anything else would cost over $400.00. Thinking I didn’t have a choice I took it.

Shortly leaving I had a feeling to check their availability. I found one that meet my needs and $100 cheaper. I was already driving home on bad roads and decided to call when I got to a stopping point. Could not get through until 1am the agent wanted to charge me an $152 on what I had already paid. I decided to call a manager. He would not help because I was out of the 24 hour period. I told him when I first got through it was 1am - not out of the 24 hour period. This did not matter.

All in all my flight that cost $116 turns to $352. I spent several hours on hold, I was stuck in Denver for two nights because of weather, I was lied to - taken advantage of, very bad customer service. I understand they cannot control weather and there are extra fees to change flights but when someone has already paid for a service but when a cyclone hits you should help people not take advantage of them. While at the airport I was standing next to Delta and they were taking care of all their customers making sure they got where they needed to go.

Spirit Air Company Information