Spirit Air
2.93/5
Based on 1,203 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

pricing, allowing them to pay only for the options they want – things like bags, seat assignments and refreshments. With our Fit Fleet™, one of the youngest fleets of any major U.S. airline, we operate more than 460 daily flights to 65 destinations in the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean.

View More View More

Looking for a travel site?

Spirit Air Reviews

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

This was my first and last time flying with Spirit Airlines. I've never been so nickel and dime in my life. They charge you for everything; carry on, seat, coffee, water, etc... I wanted to change my carry on to checked baggage. I was told that I had to pay a $10 cancellation fee and pay the check baggage fee of $40 and the $30 carry on fee, was nonrefundable. So, $80 to check my 1 luggage.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

We were in LA September 1st expecting to fly to Cleveland. Told flight was cancelled due to Hurricane Dorian 2700 miles away, three time zones away, in the Atlantic Ocean. Not the Pacific ocean. No weather issues where I was in LA or was going Cleveland. Told my problem not theirs. Told earliest out was three days away and told they Do Not help you find an alternative airline. Told would not provide accommodation. Heard next Agent telling their 'Valued' Customers, who pay their wages, they could "Sleep on the Floor" if they had no other alternatives.

Facts - Hurricane at the time of cancellation had not hit the US coastline or Bahamas for that matter and FL airport was open and did not close till the next day. Due to poor planning for a known pending storm I and others had to pay for their errors in judgement stranding customers needlessly. The plane should have been moved away from FL to avoid damage and to their next destination, LA in this case for their customers down the pipeline who have no weather threats affecting their travel and to fulfill their contracts (purchased tickets with all the terms and conditions) with their customers.

I understand Weather can interfere with your flight, but not weather events 2300 miles away, who would have conceived the 'Act of God' Clause applied to areas outside of the weather event. DOT needs to crack down on these airlines and there needs to be some consumer protection legislation forced upon them to treat customers with the respect they deserve. Without us they have no JOBS.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I booked a round trip through Expedia from New Orleans, LA to Las Vegas, NV. When I went to print out my itinerary out it my outgoing flight had been cancelled. Reason was you can not book a round with Spirit and Frontier, but no one notified me of this. I had 2 days to book another one way outgoing flight and have not been reimbursed as of yet. They said 3 business days. Then it cost me $348 for 2 people 1 carry on and 1 checked bag and don't bother paying for an assigned seat. The rep offered no resolution what so ever or would not even give me a credit. Frontier bags are $118, but Spirit charges new baggage charges at every single stop. I will never ever fly with them again. If they would have let me cancel all flights...I would have flown with Delta. If I could give zero star....I WOULD! WORST AIRLINE EVER!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I'll start by saying I fly almost entirely with Spirit Airlines, I fly once a month for business and have had no issues until now. My flight was canceled due to the hurricane, understandably so. I was issued a voucher for my troubles and this is where the issue starts. I have tried to use my voucher for two weeks and have been unable to do so. I have tried everything that Spirit Airlines offers as "help". Email, text, agents, and calls. All of which have been useless and no resolve.

I am currently going through the process as I type this review with another "live agent" via text which seems to be their choice of communication. And still no answer to my problem. I am not booking some unrealistic trip and I'm not adding a bunch of frills. Simple economy flight round trip as always. Price two weeks ago was under $80.00 and is now over $100.00, my voucher is for $100.00, so I'm guessing they will resolve it once the price hits a high enough number for me to actually pay more than my original flight.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

You think that you're getting a deal until you finish your trip.. Bag fees are a total rip off. They make it hard to understand what you have to pay on their web sites. Then when you get up to the counter they hit you with this $60 fee stuff. Then on the plane you even have to pay for water. Credit card or Debit card only. They don't trust their employees with money. This poor lady with 2 kids next to me only had cash.. "Oh we are sorry no cash." She goes, "So my kids will go without any kind of drink or anything.." "So sorry." I got her kids drinks. I think it was $15 dollars. This airline would charge you to go to the bathroom if they could. They will let kids starve or go without drink worse than prison because they have no credit card or debit card. This is like child abuse. I think that I would be more comfortable on a FedEx cargo jet..

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

Booked the flight, took 3 days to get confirmation to attempt to get a seat which was also a nightmare. Text me morning of flight. It's delayed. I go later, sitting at the gate way early, plane leaves on time with me and 6 other people standing in the area wondering what the heck happened. No text it changed back. Little or no announcements at gate. Flight boards still had delayed time but now say departed. That departure time was still an hour away. They have my bag. Nobody answers the # they gave me to get it back. As I write this the # on the main website is wrong. It changed says some overjoyous voice. Guess it's easy to be the cheapest when you dont actually take people and steal their belongings! Should be soul sucking airlines killing my spirit completely.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I booked a round trip flight and paid for luggage and assigned seats. The seats never happened and I was charged a 3rd time for luggage on my return flight. I guess they stay in business by ripping people off. Worst experience ever!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I had a flight booked to return home to Detroit, MI from Panama City, Panama with one stop in Fort Lauderdale, FL. This flight was scheduled for Wednesday September 4, 2019. Hurricane Dorian was nearing Florida so Spirit cancelled all flights for this date coming into Fort Lauderdale. The earliest flight I was given for return was for Wednesday September 11, 2019 a whole week later. This is unacceptable so I booked for another airline (Delta). This new flight cost me over $1,100. one way (Super expensive). So when I get to the airport in Panama I see Spirit did indeed have flights going into Fort Lauderdale on the 4th of September. This debacle is unacceptable. Spirit refused to pay for my new flight. I will NEVER deal with Spirit again. What a terrible airline!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

After 2 WEEKS from the time I sent my inquiry # **, I receive the most OUTRAGEOUS and RIDICULOUS response from Spirit. The most laughable and pathetic part is Spirit Customer Relations advising my September 4 flight was 'tagged as not boarded'. That's because it took Spirit 2 WEEKS to respond to me! And then blamed the reason for the delay on weather! You're an airline for goodness sake! You should staff appropriately to handle that! Clearly they didn't even read or care about my situation - but only spouted back Spirit's refund policy.

My friends and family warned me of the horrors they've experienced with Spirit Airlines. I've also read through countless complaints online. Now I know why. Why would Spirit Airlines think for ONE MINUTE that after my bad experience, a future travel credit is acceptable? OUTRAGEOUS! I'd rather walk and go into diabetic shock than fly Spirit Airlines ever again. Shame on you! What a horrible excuse for a business, let alone an airline!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

This place does not even deserve a star. Stay away. I don't do reviews but I had to in this case. I flew out of the country on August 11th and had a returning flight with my 2 kids and my wife on the 17th of August. On the date of my flight not only was it canceled and delayed for a extra 7 days. They told me they canceled my flight and my returning home ticket and had to purchase a whole new ticket because they said I missed my flight on the 11th. My brother in law flew with me on the same flight, they switched me 2 and he did not have a problem because they said the Spirit associate put a comment in his box and not on mine so they have no proof that I actually showed for my flight. Mind you I even paid for my brother in law ticket on my credit card.

The people at Spirit are ridiculous, place does not deserve to be in business. Because of this Spirit still has not refunded me my money on my returning flight even though I had documented proof. I had to stay in a country for another 7 days witch was longer than my INITIAL plan to stay. I had to pay a extra $1,000 for hotel for the 7 days extra money in food and well as the additional ticket. And on top of that my initial time to stay out of the country was for 6 days because my job did not want me gone for too long. With that being said I was let go from my job because I had to miss a additional 7 days from work and they did not care for the reason even though it was out of my control. Haha.

Spirit is a joke. 7 extra days I stayed in a country that I'm not from....Long story short they made me pay for a new ticket to be able to get home and again I was suppose to come home on the 17th, they could not get me on a plain till the 23rd. This place is a joke. Poor customer experience. Place deserves to go BANKRUPT!!! REPORTED THEM TO BBB AND DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION. Next I will be getting a attorney involved. Let's see if Spirit reaches out.

Spirit Air Company Information