1.45/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 25, 2018

85 Allegiant Air Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 25, 2018

I was flying out to Georgia to see my little sister in Jan. 2018, I bought a ticket in advance. During this time I had a niece who was ill with cancer and I was going through a divorce. Unforeseen timing had my niece go into hospice a couple days before I was scheduled to leave. And the new tax law that was forced in at the end of the year had unforeseen impacts on my divorce that was suppose to be finalized in the beginning of Jan. Another court date was set and I was unable to leave because I might have to attend court. I had a year to book another flight so I put it on hold. Then, in April 60 minutes came out with the story "Flying Under the Radar" and it talked about how this airline is 3 times more likely to have an accident than any other airline.

I was told by my customer service rep Abrianna that my money would NOT be refunded and there was not anyone else I could talk to about this or escalate it to. No one there would agree to give me my money back; because they are a nonprofit company. Sounds like they are making a profit by taking other people's money. They also kept a big chunk when I canceled at least 50.00 and I was still due about 250.00. I will not fly Allegiant after the 60 minutes investigation and the fluke accident SW airlines just had where that lady was being sucked out the window. That accident is 3 times more likely to happen with Allegiant! Please note: I have attached the receipt but, the 1st page has notes about the requirements for the flight. All information you need to confirm is after the 1st page. Please call Alisa ** with any questions. Thank you.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Allegiant Air, is the most disorganized and deceiving airline out there. They give you a price, and when done, you have spent the same a "top of the line" airlines out there. I was checking in (that there, is a mess,) and right beside me was a older couple that was told that if they wanted to check in a luggage, it was $100 per suitcase. The CSR told them, that because they did not check in the bags online, that was the cost. How dare they do that to an older couple, that probably did the reservation by phone, and just because Allegiant are "money hungry", they were not told anything about the cost? That is horrible CS right there!

My 94 year Father, my husband and I, boarded the plane. My Dad was not feeling too good, so I asked for a cup of ice water; I never got it. On arrival, my husband was doing many things, as I was making sure to get a wheelchair for my Dad. In that ordeal, he sat in a wheelchair, as I was ready to push him, some guy stepped in front of me (because they all want to be tipped,) and I fell to the ground. There was Allegiant employees that saw me on the floor, and not one, asked me if I was okay or needed medical assistance. I did not report the fall, because it was 10:40 pm and we needed to get our rental car. I had my Dad that was exhausted and my husband trying to control the carry on and look for the check in suitcase.

And "last but not least", they sell alcoholic beverages on board and they say that they will not serve anyone who seemed intoxicated. That is a LIE! At one point, a group of men, were drunk and talking loud. It was so annoying! Anyways, I will never travel with this airline again. I hope that them being investigated, the authorities will make the wise decision of closing them down.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I will never fly the airline ever again. They have a terrible safety record. The FAA LET let them get away with in for years. Also they charge too much for a pillow or water or any kind of drink or food. They even charge you for a blanket. Also they won't accept prepaid credit cards or even cash.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I will never fly this airline again. On March 18, 2018, my flight was scheduled to depart Concord, NC at 1:30 pm. I had changed flights the previous day and was paying almost $200 extra to be on this flight. In the morning on March 18, Allegiant Airlines showed the flight was delayed. By early afternoon, it was officially leaving at 7:30 pm. No big deal. ** happens. One hour before departure the flight was cancelled. This is a small airport. Nothing to do. About an hour later, everyone was told a replacement flight would leave the next day on March 19. Counter personnel said to keep track of expenses for hotel, meals, Uber, etc. My expenses were $409.00, since I also wanted the $200.00 refunded. After numerous emails over the next couple weeks, I was told tough **, everyone gets $100.00. Get lost. What a dirty deal to their customers. I hope they go out of business.

Original review: April 17, 2018

My flight with Allegiant was scheduled to leave at 6:45 from New Orleans. I arrive to the gate 6:25 to a closed gate and the plane gone! The agent at the gate simply said I was suppose to be there 2 hours early and went about his business. Then I see 60 minutes reported on the airlines Sunday April 15 with huge concerns about the safety of their outdated planes, multiple mechanical failures and terrible customer service. I will never fly with them again. I advise anyone to watch the 60-minute story online. SCARY!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allegiant Air?

Original review: April 16, 2018 My husband John and I have traveled back and forth several times from Stockton, California to Mesa, Arizona. We have never encountered the issues shown in the reviews. Don't know if it's just been "dumb luck" or not. Only two issues; every little item has a charge attached to it and the seating arrangements are not always correct. Since this is such a short flight, we don't mind being separated. We are planning a trip to Austin Texas next month... hope our luck continues!

I am submitting our personal experience so others are aware of minor problems encountered by us...

Original review: April 15, 2018

Minimum of three calls required to change a ticket due to health issues even though after listening to their hold message for nearly an hour (due to large volume of customer calls) indicates you are able to do so on-line, which you can't. The first call, lasting 85 min resulted in a customer service agent making a note in the account so that it would be more efficient when I called back to make the ticket change as we were waiting to have a surgery verified. The second call (once surgery was canceled) started with a 52-minute hold time before getting human. I had all of the identical information I had the first time and this time the woman was unable to allow me to make any changes to my daughter's ticket.

I asked her to review the notes that the first rep added to my daughter's confirmation # and she was not willing to do that. I explained that nothing had changed including my daughters email, or my email. I explained that I did not have access to my husband's debit card and told her I would be happy to give her the last four of every credit card I have but I was pretty certain it was on my husband's debit card. I asked for a supervisor as three days prior, the woman I spoke with was able to make the same change I was requesting and she refused to get a supervisor, ultimately stating that she had other customers to deal with and hung up on me.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I have read some of the negative reviews on Allegiant Airlines are for things that are clearly explained online when you make the reservation. I have been flying them 2 or 3 times of year for 7 years and have only had one issue. Our flight coming from Indianapolis to Myrtle Beach to take us back to Indiana had mechanical problems and couldn’t fly. We had to wait for a plane to come from Florida to take us home. They gave us drinks and a food voucher to get something to eat while we waited. The pilots are always very good as are the airplanes especially the new Airbuses. My only complaint is the seats are small. I had to fly Southwest to Florida in February and it was bad. The roughest landing I ever experienced. Will not fly them again. I like Allegiant.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I paid for 3 seats in a row to sit with my husband and son on flight from FL to PA. One of our seats was taken by the flight attendants, without asking us, and given to a LARGE, VERY SMELLY mentally challenged woman. She rocked back and forth the whole flight, constantly touching me and my phone while screaming. The worst 3 hours of my life! I paid extra to ensure I could enjoy my trip with my family. I could lump the experience if it was luck of the draw, but they charged me for something they didn’t give me. I was not asked and not offered any compensation. I was told by the flight attendants to accept it or get off the plane. That is FRAUD!

Original review: March 4, 2018

Plans changed and couldn’t take flight due to my father being seriously ill on life support and in hospital. 112 minutes on hold and wouldn’t refund or credit my flights. Wouldn’t even let me put ticket in a friend's name that wanted to take flight. Gave me $110 credit for baggage and seat fees which is money wasted as I’ll never fly them again. I believe in customer service in order to get repeat customers they could have sold my seats easily and credited me at least. I’ll never fly them again! I was even in tears on the phone explaining my horrible unplanned situation and the girl was nice but policy to not have repeat customers I guess overruled.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I was traveling from Las Vegas, NV. to Mesa, AZ on Feb. 18, 2018. My flight was originally scheduled to leave around 5 pm. I received two delay notices. One to leave at 730 pm and another that it had been delayed again until 840 pm. Well the gate that I was assigned for my flight was full. Come to find out they had the flight to Fresno scheduled to leave the same gate at 839. They announced they would be loading for the Fresno flight. About half the people were on the plane when they announced that they would not be boarding any other people and that the flight had been delayed... They did not have a flight crew scheduled so they had to fly in a flight crew from Fresno to fly back to Fresno... What kind of company schedules a flight and doesn't schedule a crew?

So needless to say they unloaded all passengers that had already boarded and they weren't moving the plane until the new crew was there so naturally my gate had to change... Not sure what my delay was but we never left until almost 11 pm which was scheduled originally for 5. They gave free snacks but when I asked for two they bit my head off and said, "You get only one!!!" But I guess it's ok they screwed my schedule. Then they send me a voucher that I can't open and I can't get through to them to ask about and they won't answer my e-mails. I am declaring Allegiant will be out of business within the next 2-3 years with this kind of service.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Charged tickets for flight to and from Tampa, FL along with a rental car. Family situation changed that mandated I cancel all as placed on my MC. $36.00 for seats there & back, $36.00 for one piece of checked luggage there & back, Auto $152.00. Airfare: About $67.00 there & back, plus taxes, 'fees', etc. I did NOT pay for any 'insurance' on my ticket... Didn't require it! In return, I was charged $176.00 as a cancelation fee and given a voucher for $174.00 to be used only by me. I do NOT wish to use the voucher... $$ lost. In total: About $350.00 gone. I feel I was SCAMMED by the fine print. They can sell my seat again, charge for luggage again. My cancelation turned into a greater profit for them! They are one POS by my reasoning! NEVER will use them again.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I have flown this airline a number of times in previous years. Got away from them due to poor route options. Decided to try them for my most recent trip as it was a route they fly. Horrible! Could not get either flight on time. Their online site is updated but the board at the airports always reported on time. Never again!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

On 2/18/18 my wife and I was travelling to New Orleans for business. We check in at the ticket counter. They taken our baggage, we went through security and then straight to our gate to find that the gate was closed. We were not told until later that they boarded early. They refused to get us another flight out and said they don’t do refunds at all for any reason. 6 hours later we arrived to find out that they locked our luggage up and that we have to go back to the Airport at 10:30 the next morning because they don’t deliver luggage for any reason.

I called customer service and waited online for over 35 minutes while walking around the airport trying to get help. The other airlines all were there helping their customers and Allegiant air has no office and they only work Tuesday and Thursday! Customer service said that they don’t refund money or send your luggage for anyone for any reason. The worst customer service I ever experienced! I had to buy more tickets to fly. Thank you South West airlines. Should had used them the beginning.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Absolute worst customer service reps there is. Cancelled a return flight home on my parents with no explanation. Then charged them $300 ea for the same original seats. This airline is known for being terrible.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

My husband and I are Canadian military members. I phoned Allegiant Air to ask if baggage was free for us. I was booking my trip online and wasn't sure if I should include my carry on and checked baggage to my total. I was told we were covered so I didn't include any baggage in the total cost. We have flown with Allegiant 6 times from Minot, ND and recommend to all our friends, family and fellow military to do the same. We've never had a problem before but this time, even though I called, were given a hard toon the way there and were forced to pay full price on the way home. I feel lied to.

If I'd have known I would have paid the cheaper price online rather than the full price at the airport. We felt totally disrespected as customers, as serving members of the military of the U.S.' closest allied country. Our airlines in Canada respect serving members of other countries, Allegiant should do the same. We will no longer travel Allegiant and will discourage everyone we know to do the same.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018 Thanksgiving Holiday left Oakland, Ca. Went through HELL just to get our boarding passes. No kiosk. 1 employee at check in desk. She wanted to force us 2 adults & 2 kids to pay $5 per ticket to board. Told us to "use the app" twice. 3rd time returned to desk had to speak to Supervisors twice to get passes printed.

Leaving Las Vegas Sunday after Holiday. Same issue. No kiosk. No way to get tickets from employees at all this time. Told to "use app". Made it through hella long TSA line. Family all without shoes ready to board plane. App NEVER worked.

Ran through airport to desk...again. Refused to print passes. Elaine ** and trainee whispered "we already sold to standby" our tickets...even though we were more than on time and app NEVER worked. Gave me a little scrap of paper with a 877 #. Went back into Vegas. Contracted Valley Fever. Apparently, I will have to take meds FOR LIFE for this rare disease. No cure. Had to pay Southwest $1200 to get us out 2 days later. Airplane to Vegas sounded rickety and my Hubby being a mechanic was sweating the whole ride... Sad story. Life altering.

Allegiant does NOT care about human life or families. Profit over everything. Gone are the days of adhering to the agreements made at time of purchase. This airline banks on locking people out of flights ensuring the app works for people paying top dollar last minute and NOT working for prepaid customers. It was VERY obvious they saw an advantage in taking standby passengers willing to pay ANYTHING to leave Vegas on the 2nd busiest travel day after 1/1. No empathy. No compassion. Money over one's health. Airplanes in refurbished cheap conditions. Very scary.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I intended to book a trip for mid-February. Due to an issue, on my computer it booked a different date. I called immediately after and was told because it wasn't enough notice before the trip, I could not cancel or make any changes. Ridiculous policy that a change can't be made immediately after. When I spoke with a representative, I was told there is nothing we can do, you should have read the terms better. I understand the terms, I made a mistake. Then the representative goes on to tell me to make sure I am at the airport early, yadda yadda.

I told him repeatedly I would not be going as I booked the wrong date and can't get those dates off. I am then informed that I am expected to be there regardless, and it is my responsibility. Staff was very condescending and quite rude on the phone. I was polite but found the entire conversation super frustrating. A simple ended up costing $800, a cancelled trip, and absolutely no understanding. When I tried calling back a few days later to make sure there are no additional charges for not showing up at the hotel, all I get told is there is no credit or refund, yet no one is willing to answer a simple question. Very poor customer service and I urge anyone thinking of booking through Allegiant to rethink it, and go with a different airline.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Flight 12/30/17 from Harrisburg, PA to Fl at 10:44am...it started snowing at 5am that morning. We left earlier than normal. Used one of 2 ways to get to that airport-PA Turnpike...speeds were reduced to 45mph. So a normal 45 minute drive turned into about 1 1/2 hours. Got to mile marker 251. Bad accident. Road shut down. Our exit was 247. We sat on highway for almost 2 hours! Called the airport and Allegiant numerous times because we were late, stuck in the winter weather and accident - not once did we get an actual person.

Got to the airport and all Allegiant desks were closed and unmanned. There was no information desk. Plane left without us. It was beyond my circumstance. My trip was ruined. The worst part is that you cannot cancel a flight under 7 days - so my return flight in 5 days could not be altered; and Allegiant would not issue any type of credit. They are cheap but once you add a bag, 2 seat assignments they are equal to everyone else. The lack of customer service is the worst part. This situation was out of my control; there were probably more customers stuck on that snowy road and yet Allegiant has decided to keep my $800 dollars for both flights.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

The price for the tickets is barely below other airlines, but the customer service is awful. My mom came to visit me for just a weekend, and spent 6 hours waiting at the airport for the plane to be 'fixed'. I later read other comments from other customers with different routes, and they had the same problem. People will stop buying from them if they do not improve their service. The personnel is rude and doesn't care about giving good customer service. Calling them takes forever and will not help with anything.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Headed home this morning from Punta Gorda, FL airport to Concord, NC and was screened by a TSA officer whose badge was purposefully turned over as I was patted down TWICE. My bags went thru the scanner without being flagged, but then all of a sudden when my food products (coffee and water flavor packs) were tested I was then informed that my items had been flagged for further search. If that was the case then why was I able to retrieve them prior to being told that???

Then the TSA officer who I will describe, since she did not have her name clearly visible, was a heavy set woman w/ dark hair, cock-eyed and wore arm compression sleeves as one wears if they have tattoos. She was very rude and the tone in speaking to me was very harsh as if she was speaking to a child. She even called security on me for no reason at all... I guess as a scare tactic, but couldn't tell him the reason for calling him when he asked her. I will NEVER FLY Allegiant again. I was embarrassed as I have flown with this airline and through this particular airport numerous times, traveling with the same SEALED, store bought items and there was never an issue.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Just because we don't show for a flight, you cancel our itinerary without notice and remove us from all future flights booked and keep our money? If we haven't taken the flight yet, how can you keep our money?? How on Earth is this legal? If I've paid for the flight and don't show then you still have your money - why does it matter if I "show for the flight" - and what gives you the right to keep money from the future flights if you're not 'out of pocket' because you have my fees anyway??? - Outrageous policy. I just had to pay for a second ticket!

"No-Show Policy: For travel starting August 16, 2017, failure to board a flight or to change or cancel an itinerary within the specified cancellation policies set forth below shall be deemed a customer-initiated cancellation and the remaining itinerary, including any return flights, will be cancelled and all funds will be forfeited." Absolutely outrageous and horrible practice.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I called customer service to find out if there was a system glitch with payment since it posted 2 times overcharging me but not giving me my selected seat which was overpriced btw. I paid for a carry on as well and it gave me boarding zone 6 which is the last zone for a window seat in 5f the front of the plane. So every person in my row will have to move hold up the boarding process so I can get in my seat... Does this make sense? Customer service was rude asking “what are you trying to accomplish“?

Oh I am sorry I am just checking because does it make sense to board window seats last after you paid for a better seat because if they select it you will get the back by the nasty bathrooms. It doesn’t make sense to board by zones not board by row numbers so people aren’t holding up the boarding process. So stupid. Anyway To charge customers the fees for everything it’s not worth it. I will not fly them again. I am done. They need to train customer service properly and rethink their policies and process. It’s horrible.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Waiting in line to check in at Memphis Airport. Watched as a couple overweight repacked their luggage as they checked in. When our turn came, we were over a couple pounds. I began to remove one item to another bag when I was told I needed to do so somewhere else and get in the back of the line. They do not treat customers the same. I'll let you decide what the determining factor is.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

If I could give them a big fat ZERO stars, I would! My flight left early - without me! I had checked in during the 24 hour check in period but due to car problems and a sick 4 year old, we were not there 2 hours ahead of time. My daughter dropped me off and left for home (about 1.5 hours away) but the guy behind the counter told me to wait for the manager. I asked him where I should wait, and he gave me a dismissive wave... So I stayed where I was, just off to the side of the baggage check in.

About 30 minutes later the people behind the counter said there goes the flight to Vegas... Grand Island Nebraska does not have a queue to get to the runway, so it is very unlikely that they were even pulled away from the gate. I believe that they resold my seat. Selling it twice and charging for baggage - what a scam! After waiting for an hour for the manager - he came and (speaking broken language) offered a flight from Des Moines (over 5 hours away) but of course I would have to pay for it, and my two checked bags again! And how would I get there? He just shrugged.

The cherry on top is that I also had booked a car from Alamo through them, so it was non-refundable also!! So I lost the airfare and rental car for 8 days and seeing my family for Thanksgiving! There is no customer service. You cannot talk to anyone if you have problems. Maybe that is on purpose because there is so much to complain about! I should have gotten a clue when you have to pay for every bag, even carry-ons (or pay more at the airport) and they don't even provide a water on the flight. I will be filing with the BBB and will never fly or recommend flying with them again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My wife and I booked a two week vacation in Florida via Allegiant Air from our home in Vermont. Five days in she had severe abdominal pain and went the local emergency department where she was diagnosed with metastatic cancer. We rescheduled our flight for five days earlier so that we could begin treatment at home surrounded by family and friends. Rebooking cost us $400. That is the price we paid for someone to click on a computer keyboard. I can't fault the phone answerer who was merely following company policy when she said, yes she said, “You have to schedule your emergency in advance.” This is your company policy? Really?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I was charged $50.00 for a carry on that slid under the seat exactly like the passengers beside me who paid zero. I sent a picture to Allegiant expecting them to see the error in charging me instead I was ignored for over 2 months then told no they would not refund me. I am a true believer in customer service and they showed zero in this instance.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Had a carry on that measured to their specifications. Said it would not fit under seat. When I said I measured it they said they didn’t care that it had to be checked and it would be $50.00. Said it would have been $40.00 if I had done it online. No alternative. Pay or don’t go. Terrible airline. Worse customer service. By the time you pay baggage fees, seat selection, buy a bottle of water and pay for the air you breathe it will beyond the cost of every other airline available!! Buyer Beware!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I will never use this airline again. I'm not sure what assigned seats are for?! I had a flight with my two kids and was separated from them because it became open seating. And to top it off, 40 minute delay as well.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Flight from BWI (Baltimore) to AVL (Asheville, NC) 2:48 pm departure arrived at airport at 1:15 pm. My phone died waiting to go through security so TSA told me I had to go get a ticket at Allegiant counter. Arrived at Allegiant counter at 2:05 pm. No one there and people at Southern Air (the next counter) said the Allegiant people had gone so I have no way to get a paper ticket to get through security. Called Allegiant they said, “We make it clear the ticket counter closes 45 mins before flights.” WTF!? So now I will start the very long process lodging a complaint with the FAA. Good times.

Allegiant Air Company Information