2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Air
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.56/5

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

pricing, allowing them to pay only for the options they want – things like bags, seat assignments and refreshments. With our Fit Fleet™, one of the youngest fleets of any major U.S. airline, we operate more than 460 daily flights to 65 destinations in the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean.

View More View More

Spirit Air Reviews

Original review: May 13, 2020

I have traveled on different airlines for many years. I gave Spirit two chances and those two chances I thought I was going to die during the flight. The entire flight and landing was a nightmare. This airline can cause anyone severe anxiety.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I have flown on Spirit a couple of times and I got exactly what I was expecting, a discount airfare with no frills, which is okay because that is what I was paying for. However, as of now I will not book another flight with Spirit because they simply do not respond to customer questions or concerns when there is a problem. They have a completely automated system to file a complaint but it does not work. I have tried several times to use the system but it is completely useless. The email system did not work, there is no way to leave a voice message, and in short no way I have been able to successfully contact anyone to help me with my problem. If you are looking for a cheap airfare, Spirit is the one you want. But you should hope that nothing goes wrong because you will be sorely disappointed.

Original review: April 30, 2020

Made a reservation with Spirit Airlines to fly to LA and back to Raleigh over the weekend. Found out that I was flying on the same day and returning back that same day (Sunday). Immediately I called them to change my flight more than a month before the flight. They said the cost to make the change was more than the initial flight. Plus, they had my name wrong. The airfare was $226/-, the change was more than $343/-. I could still make a new reservation for that same date for the same low fare, but again I would be paying them double the price. They try to take advantage of you and it is not a good airline - WILL NEVER FLY WITH THEM EVER AGAIN!!

Original review: April 4, 2020

On February 22, 2020 I checked into Spirit at Dtw. One particular staff member was so helpful and kind I just had to let you know. Maribella **. She made my nerves calm and her smile was very comforting. I wish everyone could be as friendly as her.

Original review: April 4, 2020

Baggage was lost on a vacation trip. Waiting time for research is super long. I did all my paperwork and submitted the claim with all the required documents and receipts, they only covered my clothes the items below $50.00. If you ever have a choice to go on any other airlines on this earth, please go without Spirit. It can do nothing, but ruin your trips/vacations.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: March 26, 2020

Me and my friend were supposed to fly back home to NYC on 2/23, but they kicked us out of the plane and rescheduled our flight for 2/25 because my friend “looked sick and needed to talk to a doctor”. The doctor asked if we went to China in the last 2 weeks, the answer was no. However they did not allow us back on the plane, and my checked bag flew to Newark. I went to the luggage office to ask them to send my bag back, and no one was there even though it was during their operating hours. I called the number provided at the door, no one picked up.

Later that day, a passenger from the same flight called me to tell me that he has my case and gave me the address of his hotel in NYC to come and pick it up. Not only that I lost two days at work, but also I had those additional expanses for staying two more days in Houston, and I was without my bag because it was picked up by another passenger UNNOTICED!

We called them several times and filed several complaints- the response was - “we’ll call you back” or the ticket was passed on to another department. They were sorry that we had to reschedule our flight and they were happy that I was able to reunite with my bag. After one month of conversing back and fourth, they offered two $100 vouchers, refunded $85 for my checked bag and $12 for my toiletries that I bought in Houston. They did not cover any other expenses, including our accommodation, and transportation from/to the airport and to the hotel where my bag was situated.

We went through embarrassment on the plane, stress about my lost bag, additional expanses and suffering due to rescheduled flight, but the compensation we got was ridiculous. We also spent so much time negotiating for that little compensation they gave us. I will never ever choose Spirit Airlines. I don’t need their vouchers!

Original review: March 21, 2020

Excellent value for a no frills flight. Easy to check in and print your own boarding pass. Flights were on time and reasonably priced checked baggage fees! Baggage arrived with me! That’s always a plus!

Original review: March 20, 2020

Very good airline for the budget-minded. We fly with them at least once a year to Vegas from Detroit. Cost wise, no other airline comes close. You just have to realize that you have to pay for all extras. People are nice -- flights always on time -- clean planes...

Original review: March 17, 2020

I understand Spirit is no-frills airline, but in some regions it is the only airline that provide "convenient" accessible to other cities. However, the cancellation policy which nickles and dimes is crazy (name changes, destination re-booking, and the non-use of flight ticket). They need to allow more vouchers or credits to later use in most instances, instead of making money from tickets unused and changes. Their customer service should note the area and service usage of passengers. If know I will use this airline in the next three weeks, so provide me with voucher or credit for my unused ticket instead of charging me the cancellation. The flights are usually delayed or overbooked anyway.

Original review: March 16, 2020

I felt like I was in a nice restaurant as far as the service was concerned. On a different airline, I was given a cracker for a nine hour flight. On Spirit, for a five hour flight, stewardess came by about five times and had quite an array of food and drink. Got to my destination relaxed and satisfied. Go Spirit.

Spirit Air Company Information