Spirit Air
2.93/5
Based on 1,203 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

pricing, allowing them to pay only for the options they want – things like bags, seat assignments and refreshments. With our Fit Fleet™, one of the youngest fleets of any major U.S. airline, we operate more than 460 daily flights to 65 destinations in the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean.

View More View More

Looking for a travel site?

Spirit Air Reviews

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

They left alcohol on His seat and he opened the bottle and took a swig before I noticed. They are not taking the matter seriously at all. Attendant just said thanks when I gave him empty bottle and he threw away. I contacted Spirit to make it right and just refund me my two bags I DID NOT use and they are giving me the runaround. I am now seeking legal advice and filing a police report. Sad customer service such a simple fix and they did not. So here I let the world know how horrible this airline is.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I would not recommend at all flying Spirit. While the lower price seems appealing their customer service is absolutely horrible and you will ultimately end up paying more to rebook a flight or to find another way to get to your destination. My return leg of my trip was cancelled after informing Spirit via their customer service platform and over the phone that I needed to change my itinerary. They offered no compensation for their mistakes. I strongly encourage everyone to just pay a little bit more upfront to any other airline to receive assurance you will make it to and from your destination.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

At the end of your experience you will not save money but end up spending more because they charge for every little thing. And in my experience the staff was very rude and unwilling to work with us. My personal suggestion is that you go with a reputable Airlines. You get what you pay for.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

A guy name (Brian) with an Indian accent was super rude and he was literally yelling at me and was not willing to my explanation at all!!! I am so shocked how rude he was and I need to hang out the phone on him not to get insulted by him!!! That was the worse experience I have ever had with customer service!!! Such a shame!!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

Just came back from vacation with family yesterday (9/21/19). Yes Spirit nickel and dimes you but we had no problems with our flight or our luggage from MCO (Orlando) to Newark (EWR). If you pay for everything ahead of time, prices are fair. This review is about their customer service when dealing with lost luggage. When returning to MCO, all our luggage made it back except my child's car seat. When asking person at Spirit office near luggage they told me car seat would come through oversized baggage area. I asked next steps if it didn't... Lady was rude and said it will come through there. Well, it didn't come.

Had to go back and fill some paperwork and they gave us a loaner car seat in the meantime. Did not look at the car seat until we got to the actual car and noticed it had no straps! Why on Earth is Spirit handing out a car seat with no straps???? Luckily the car seat we were traveling with was the one we use in my husband's car and my car has her other seat which we ended up using. I waited until about 1 PM the next day and since I hadn't heard from Spirit by then, I called the number on the claim ticket. The lady I spoke to told me they had my car seat and confirmed my address for delivery. She indicated it would get delivered either today (9/22) or tomorrow (9/23). Perfect, I went ahead and told her about car seat not having any straps and she apologized and said she made note of it.

Now the Cherry on top. Fast forward to almost midnight and I'm in bed asleep (we have a dog and my daughter's room is near front door) when my doorbell rings, I get a text and a call. Guess who? It's a Spirit driver delivering my car seat and there to pick up the loaner. I asked the driver why the hell they are delivering the car seat so late and she tells me it was actually scheduled for 4AM delivery but she had finished up early. WHAT???? It was never communicated to me that delivery would be after reasonable hours.

Now I'm sitting here wide awake because someone rang my doorbell, woke me and the dog up. Thank goodness little one slept through it. So all in all, if you happen to lose luggage, make sure you reach out and figure out details because apparently they don't know how to communicate. Also, if you happen to get a loaner car seat, be sure to check it thoroughly before accepting it. The one I got was utterly useless and looked like it was taken out of a dumpster. Let it be noted that had my car seat made it back with the rest of my luggage, I would not have any complaints about our Spirit flights.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

We were supposed to take off a little after 5pm. Flight was delayed until 8:45pm. My fiancé and I stayed in the airport, had some food and continued checking the screens, online, and listening to announcements all throughout our delay. There was nowhere to sit right at the gate so we sat a gate over. We heard numerous announcements for other flights boarding. Around 8:15 we walked over near the gate and there were hundreds of passengers boarding other Spirit flights and sitting near the gate. About 15 minutes later we notice they still aren’t boarding. We finally notice some of the spirit staff behind the counter. We go to ask them when boarding is and they said your plane just took off!!!! NOT ONE ANNOUNCEMENT THAT THEY WERE BOARDING!

We proceed to customer service where there is another customer who had the door at the gate slammed in his face saying, "Oh well guess you missed it." Customer service then proceeds to tell us she heard the announcements from across the airport. How convenient she heard the announcements. What a coincidence that four passengers that do not even know each other just experienced the same thing.

I then do some research after this disturbing evening and find out they bump passengers due to overbooking. So basically they quietly boarded the plane hoping no one noticed due to overbooking. I’m absolutely disgusted and can not believe this airport is in business. It’s disturbing how these people get away with this. I wasted 6 hours at Fort Lauderdale airport to try and get to Texas for my fiancé’s grandmother's 80th birthday. And the sick thing is these people at spirit airlines will continue to do this and get away with it because spirit is supposed to be cheap and convenient for people. SHAME ON YOU SPIRIT AIRLINES, YOU ARE ALL CROOKS!!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Never again will I fly with Spirit. We was told since my husband was a veteran we would get our baggage for free and a cheaper flight. Nope didn’t happen and then we got to the airport early to change flights to get home early and we was told an extra 500.00 so again no. We never had that problem with Delta. It’s not worth saving the extra money in the long run. It don’t get you anywhere.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

NIGHTMARE ON SPIRIT AIR. This literally is the hood city bus of the air! In fact worse. You pay for everything, I believe I may have paid to sit down during the flight. $110 just for a checked bag overweight under 50lbs. Everyone flies the same class...LOW. Never again will I fly this airline. Not sure how they even stay in business. Spend the extra money to avoid the this "Nightmare on Air Street"!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Let me start with I'm 39. And my husband nor I had ever flown before August 25th 2019. My husband decided had decided to try flying versus driving like we normally do from Columbus, Ohio to Orlando, Florida. I'm scared to death of heights and planes. He purchased tickets with Spirit months before our flight. And due to his size 6'7 300+ pds we decided to spend the extra money round trip to upgrade to the big seats and assigned seats so he could fit comfortably and so we were sitting together and kinda alone. We had no issue leaving Columbus. Our flight out of Columbus was scary for me just 'cause it was my 1st time flying and I had a panic attack. I wish I could give our attendant a 5 star review. He deserves it. He seen I was scared and crying. And went above and beyond to help calm me and comfort me bringing me tissues. He really was very helpful. And I would love to Thank him again.

My 1 star is for the problem on way back. Like I said we not only paid for big seats. But also for assignment seats to sit together. All our documents showed we had the same seats that we had on our flight to Orlando for our returning flight until after we checked in for returning flight. They had then had me in seats we paid for but had moved him 4 rows back. We couldn't call to reach anyone due to being on cruise. So I tried their Facebook contact us info. With generic and untimely responses. At airport we had to stand in line for 20 min to speak with someone who knew nothing, and then wait again for over 45 minutes for a supervisor to try to fix their mistake. No luck.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I and friend were flying to Las Vegas from Indianapolis to celebrate my sister's birthday on June 9. We had a later flight after 8pm. We arrived at the airport 3 1/2 hrs early. My friend kept receiving text messages that the flight was delayed. Once we got to the departure gate the outgoing flight status was still delayed. Our flight time came and went. Travelers were getting agitated and almost 40 mins after our flight was supposed to take off, the flight was cancelled. There were lots of angry people. We were told that it was cancelled due to lack of staff. How could this be?? It was after 10:30pm when we finally were called up to the front and the lady told us that the next flight we could get on wasn't leaving until the next evening. We wouldn't arrive to Las Vegas until almost 10pm on Tuesday. We were only staying until Thursday. We cancelled everything with Spirit and we finally found a flight out of Lexington, KY that left early the following morning.

It had a connection in Chicago and would then land at Las Vegas on Tuesday morning around 9:45am. We had to rent a car which the rental area closed at midnight and it was 11:45p when we finally got things straightened out. We drove 3 1/2 hours to get to Lexington, KY. This cost us an additional $278.00 for the flight and another $116.00 for the rental car. I've never had such a bad experience with an airline. I will never fly Spirit Airlines. No wonder the flights are so cheap. You don't know whether you have a flight or not.

Spirit Air Company Information