2. Travel

Hilton Grand Vacations

1.4/5 (46 ratings)

About Hilton Grand Vacations

Hilton Grand Vacations Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hilton Grand Vacations?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hilton?

Original review: June 16, 2021

I had an overall great experience with Hilton Grand Vacations. I did not buy their product or service. I just said "NO" and that was it. I completed all the requirements for the sales presentation and walked away. From the beginning, the salesperson that I spoke to by phone told me several times that I must attend the sales presentation in its entirety. The salesperson even stated in numerous times on the follow-up confirmation calls. It seems that a lot of folks jumped at the idea of a cheap vacation and never read the fine print or let themselves be talked into something they could not afford in the first place.

My advice, don't purchase the timeshare if you truly cannot afford it, read ALL the fine print on the contract, and ask questions. Don't fall into the FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) trap. And if you do buy into it pay for it outright don't finance it and make the most of your purchase and use the points every year. Again do not buy if you cannot afford it or it doesn't fit your lifestyle. Use the presentation for a cheap vacation and walk away.

Original review: May 17, 2021

We have been owners for 11 years and in that time have used our points to travel to Bermuda, Hawaii 3 times, Austria, Montana, New York City, Myrtle Beach and just booked a week in New York and Las Vegas. We also can to go to the New resort in Tahiti in December! We have never had a problem finding properties available and even if we have used RCI points, the places have all been fantastic. Yes, they try to sell you more points, different property,etc. They are a timeshare company. That's what they do. We are happy with our membership.

Original review: May 8, 2021

We have been owner for over 10 years. I once worked for a company that had a division of timeshares, and was told never buy a timeshare if you don't plan on using it. If you buy a 4 day package for 199 you should expect to get sold something, no free lunch. After reading all the reviews here, it is clear too many people are naive when they sign up and expect that they are due a cheap trip with no strings, and no pressure. Having said that we bought at the Hilton Club in New York and used the points every year. The year before last and next year we traded into The Crane in Barbados, a fabulous resort. Also we are looking forward to going to the newest resort in Charleston, SC in November. Between the Hilton Honors program and the Hilton Grand Vacation ownership we will never pay for a hotel or resort for the rest of our lives. We are happy because we knew we wanted what we bought, pressure was not a factor.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I CAN'T BELIEVE HILTON HAS LOWERED THEIR STANDARDS. I am convinced that if Budget Inn or a motel had a grand vacation package it would be two times better that what I am dealing with right now. Please if you get an offer for a stay at a hotel do not do it. We book a stay in Hawaii for over $850 and the HGV group put us in a hotel that is located approximately 2 miles away from the Hilton Village Resort. What they did was they pick a nearby Hilton and added the word Resort to the end of it and tricks begin.

Trust me. Stay away from Hilton. I think they also pass judgement over who you are just by your name. STAY AWAY from this nightmare. Long story short the hotel they put us in was 199 a night so we saved $200 woo when they promised to save us $1000s. Bunch of **. I will contact the Attorney General next if they continue with the lies. I also have all the emails they provide me changing the name of the Hotel added the word Resort to a basic hotel.

Original review: June 26, 2021

We first became familiar with Hilton Grand Vacations when we received a call offering us a free trip to Orlando if we were to attend an hour long sales presentation. Since our daughter lived in the area, we decided to accept. On the day of the presentation, we were kept in that room for over 4 hours! We met with multiple members of the sales staff and told them over and over that we were not interested in purchasing, that this was more than we could afford, and that we would revisit the decision at a later date. We were told that this was a real estate investment, that we would be able to travel to locations all over the world while saving a significant amount on travel, and that once the loan was paid off, we would be able to sell this at a profit. NONE OF THIS WAS TRUE!

They also coerced us into signing up for an American Express card with a 17% interest rate which was used for the down payment because we couldn’t afford a down payment. There are SO MANY FEES that weren’t disclosed to us. With the mortgage payment, interest, maintenance fees, booking fees, etc. we could book travel online with Priceline and save thousands of dollars every year. Later we learned that our daughter would inherit this financial obligation when we die. This is absolutely heartbreaking! We never wanted to put our children in this situation. We have tried to work with Hilton Grand Vacations, but they just ignore us. The Hilton name can no longer be trusted, and we will never stay in a Hilton hotel again! DO NOT BUY A TIMESHARE FROM HILTON GRAND VACATIONS!

Original review: June 25, 2021

When we received a call from Hilton Grand Vacations offering us a stay in Las Vegas for a reduced rate, we thought it was a great idea. When we arrived at the required presentation, we were told that we could leave this to our children in the future, that this was a deeded real estate property, that we would be eligible for reduced rates on all Hilton rooms, and that if we ever wanted out as timeshare owners, we could sell this back to HGVC. They even added a first right of refusal on the buyback option. We now know none of this is true! While our children CAN inherit this, what they really would be getting is the continuous obligation of increasing maintenance fees. This is not something any parent wants to give their children! When we have tried to book rooms at the “reduced owner rate” we have learned that this is always full price – sometimes more than you can find the rooms at sites like Hotels.com.

The reservation system is extremely difficult to use and the resorts they showed us in Europe were never available which is why bought this in the first place. Dissatisfied, we reached out to HGVC to take this back, as we were promised in the original meeting. After 6 months and several follow ups, we still have not received a response! We thought that Hilton Grand Vacations was a reputable company since we believed they had the Hilton name. We no longer trust them or the Hilton brand at all!

Original review: June 23, 2021

When we received a call from Hilton offering us a discounted 4-day trip to Orlando if we were to attend a short presentation, we thought it was a great offer. Instead, we spent over half a day in a high-pressure sales situation where we made a purchase solely because we felt like it was the only way we could leave. Since becoming “owners” with Hilton Grand Vacations, all we have are disappointments. The points are impossible to use, there is no value, it cannot be resold, and we cannot rent out the unit for income like we were told.

There are never available resorts for the times we’ve tried to book a vacation. This was supposed to be a private membership that was exclusive to owners, but that was just one of the many lies they told us. Later, we were contacted to purchase more points under the guise that this would allow us greater availability. Another lie! All we have gained are more fees and more debt. I never thought that a company with a reputation like Hilton would that treats their customers like this. The Hilton name isn’t what it used to be and it's absolutely shameful!

Original review: June 14, 2021

When I called Hilton Honors to book a room for a trip, I was asked if I wanted to receive a discounted trip to Orlando. The only catch was that I needed to attend a brief presentation with Hilton Grand Vacations while I was there. We agreed and when we arrived at the presentation, we had our four kids with us. This was NOT brief! We were in that room for more than 4 hours!!

This was a very stressful situation because we had to deal with our children, exhausted and bored from this lengthy meeting, yet the sales staff would not let up. They used this to their advantage and did not care about the way my family and I felt. My wife and I were not interested in buying a timeshare because we were in the middle of buying a home, which we told them COUNTLESS times. We did not want anything to affect our credit but the salesmen at Hilton Grand Vacation continued to reassure us that the purchase of a timeshare would not show up on our credit history, BUT IT DID go on our credit history.

They told us that we could use this membership to stay at any Hilton hotel for $59/night, which we later found out is a $595 BOOKING FEE to be able to book the room as a Hilton Grand Vacations member! This was supposed to an investment of real estate and had true value, but I can go online and book a week in Orlando for $595, so where is the value??? It was all lies! As a Hilton Honors member, I trusted that they wouldn’t lead me astray, but I was clearly wrong.

Original review: June 11, 2021

When we were offered a discounted stay from Hilton Honors if we were to attend a timeshare sales presentation, we decided to accept. When we arrived at Sunrise Lodge with our daughter, we attended the required presentation that was nowhere near short. It took almost an entire day! They told us that by making this purchase we would be buying a piece of real estate that would build equity and could be willed to our children. They neglected to mention that there were maintenance fees associated with ownership, that these could increase every year with no cap, the interest rate on the loan, or the true cost of this purchase.

When we returned home, we believed that we were genuine owners of a piece of a resort in Utah. However, whenever we have tried to utilize this, we are unable to book ANYTHING during ski season! We continue to pay for this month-after-month with nothing to show for it. The costs have increased to the point that this is placing significant financial strain on our family, yet we cannot even utilize it! We never thought that Hilton would allow their clientele to be treated in this manner! SHAME ON YOU HILTON!

Original review: June 9, 2021

Please think twice before deciding to own Hilton Timeshare or upgrade. I would love to share all the crazy stories and lies we heard but basically it is a joke. Unless you want to go to one of the same 3 Orlando resorts over and over it is literally impossible to get in to other resorts they show you. Our last experience was with Kathy ** in Myrtle Beach. We really thought we could trust her and she understood our frustrations. Basically they tell you lies to get you to upgrade then once paperwork is signed they keep telling you to be patient getting reservations at resorts outside Orlando. Please step back and take a minute before signing paperwork.

Original review: June 9, 2021

We first visited Hilton Grand Vacations as guests of my sister-in-law. When we arrived, we were told by Hilton Grand Vacations that there was a mandatory sales presentation we had to attend, even though we were not owners. We thought this was strange but agreed since it was only supposed to be an hour. The amount of pressure we felt during this sales presentation was no joke. Hilton’s salespeople are schooled on how to push people into buying. It is as if the only way out is to give in just to get out of there. We spent close to 8 hours listening to them tell us that this was a real estate investment that would increase in value & our kids could inherit, that the resorts were private, a representative who would assist in planning trips and that we would be able to travel anywhere at any time.

Everything they told us turned out to be lies! Then there is all the stuff they DON’T tell you, the increasing maintenance costs, the terms of the loan (our interest rate was 15%), the cancellation period that you have, or the endless array of fees. THERE ARE SO MANY FEES! Why would we want to leave this to our kids?! They are aware people want to leave and they take advantage of that. It is honestly a big mess to get into. I advise people not to attend these presentations unless you want to ruin your trip and your savings account. We thought we were part of the Hilton family and now that name means nothing to us!

Original review: May 26, 2021

I have been a Hilton Honors member for years, and very dedicated to Hilton I might add. Last year we booked a 3 night stay in Las Vegas but had to cancel due to Covid. No refund but could reschedule for a later date. Well trying to rebook has been a complete headache. Finally found dates that the airfare is affordable, but no rooms available at the hotel of our choice. Oh but I can upgrade for $75/night! NO THANK YOU. I can book a handful of hotels on the strip for cheaper than this "awesome deal" they offered me. (With no timeshare presentation to have to attend.) Just airfare alone has already cost me a lot more than our original booking. If this is how they treat their guest I no longer want to be involved with Hilton.

Original review: May 7, 2021

Wow, where to start. I bought into this thinking it would be easy to use and we could vacation at all these great Hilton locations. WRONG! It's nothing like they tell you. Six years and I haven't been able to get into a Hilton location that I wanted once! I even waited until midnight for a solid week trying to be the fastest person to complete the registration for a location (9 months in advance), and when I did suddenly get one, it got taken from me before I could enter the credit card info. Less than 15 seconds!

Here is the worst part. In 2018, my wife was diagnosed with ALL (one of the worst types of Leukemia). Before she went for a STEM cell transplant in 2019, I called to try to get some changes made to reduce costs. We were paying all the non-medical costs out of our pockets and getting ready to spend 4 months in Nashville in a hotel for the transplant. The changes were not as expected. It did reduce my Maint Fees but not my monthly. I didn't have time to deal with it and kept making payments. 2020, COVID hits. My wife is immunosuppressed, taking oral chemo, and can't be in direct sun because of the STEM transplant (like EVER! A minor sunburn, from UV-A/UV-B, the size of a dime reverses STEM cells and they eat you alive. There is no way to stop it).

On top of this my wife is unable to work due to all side effects from chemo and STEM transplant and now on 100% Disability from Soc. Sec. I notified HGV in Feb 2021 we were not making any more payments (we are going into heavy debt at this point and can't go to 90% of their locations anymore because they are based on sun/sand/water). HGV sends me a cute form to fill out regarding our situation. It literally has a section regarding severe illness/cancer/etc.

I submit the form with my wife's medical diagnosis paperwork clearly showing her cancer and STEM transplant (on top of a bunch of pre-existing that are now only worse), her Disability papers, and a full financial breakdown they request to be filled out showing the impact of her being on Disability has made to our finances. Response - Request to Transfer Property Denied! Now it's hitting my credit for non-payment (which at this point doesn't matter to me since I have more important bills to handle and have had EXCELLENT credit for 25+ years). I also secured a very large loan (unreported on credit) before it happened so I could consolidate most bills. So here it is:

WARNING: Do not sign for or buy anything with HGV. You will be wasting $ and very unhappy. I don't know who reviews the medical and financial info submitted, but I guess someone has to DIE for them to even possibly consider doing the right thing. BTW, I had the exact opposite experience with Holiday Inn Club Vacations. Always able to get in, much lower overall costs at the time, and we were able to get the loan wiped away when we encountered our current situation.

Hilton Grand Vacations Company Information