1.32/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Frontier Airlines

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 6, 2017

1181 Frontier Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

In the middle of booking a flight, which was extremely more expensive compared to other flights with nearby dates, I was booted off of the corporate's website. My credit card information was already entered and submitted. After logging back in to re-track where I left off, the flight prices increased, double, for just those particular dates! Frontier customer service was contacted via phone, in which I spoke with Jesse, an outsourced CSR, who did not show any sympathy, acknowledgment of my name, or even try to look into the problem. She made up a story of how all the flights were booked for that particular fare amount. She reminded me of the fisherman from the State Farm commercial, as she insulted my intelligence by saying, "You gotta be quicker than that; someone got to those seats faster than you."

The call had to be escalated to get some amount of decent customer service; nevertheless, my original fare amount was not honored, but Max, a supervisor, worked with me. Prior to being transferred to Max, I was on hold for 20 minutes, and then told that I was unable to know the supervisor's name of whom I was being connected with. At this point, Jesse then asks for my name; you've got to be kidding me? My ten year old can do a better job at being professional than this simpleton. Due to the flight being so short notice, I am forced to fly with Frontier, but I will never, ever book travel with this company again. I travel frequently, and I thought I would consider Frontier due to their low prices, but I guess you get what you pay for. The negative stars are primarily for Jesse, also known as simpleton, and the corporate website. Jesse is horrible at her job and the website has major defaults.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I booked my flight in June with a departure time of 2:40 PM. Now in October, I get my check-in notice and it says 10:45 AM. I call customer service, confused and they say my flight was changed. I searched my email and was never notified. My emails also automatically add appointments to my calendar, and only the original one was showing. I had to schedule a new shuttle for the 2-hour drive from St. George to Vegas on top of everything. Incredibly inconvenient, and was not even notified before the check-in email 24 hours ahead. I couldn't believe it. First and last time I will ever fly Frontier. The lady hardly even acknowledged that anything had happened - just said if I wanted to cancel the flight and book a new one I could. They finally offered a $50 voucher for future travel within 90 days. I do travel often, but I'm definitely not using Frontier again. My return flight on Delta was also changed, but at least they notified me ahead.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Frontier Airlines has terrible customer service!! Got to the airport with enough time to check in but no one was at the balcony, had to run all over the airport to find someone. When I did they told me I couldn’t check in anymore! Of course I got nervous and what did they do?! The two ladies at the balcony started laughing! Terrible customer service!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I was diagnosed with cancer 2 1/2 days before our flight and my doctor recommended I not go because of upcoming tests and doctor visits. I called Frontier and followed their requests to a tee. My doctor went to the office especially to email their request. After 5 phone calls and 3 promises to refund my money and vouchers I still do not have them.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

This was my first trip with this airlines. Flew from SF to Denver. Kept getting notifications throughout the day through email that the flight was delayed, time of flight delay improved a few minutes, flight delayed again. What was the point of this stupidity when you ultimately cannot plan your day properly and what happens if you do not have the opportunity to keep checking your email and the constant changes in flight times? I purchased my tickets on Expedia and noticed that my frequent traveler number was not noted on the ticket. I emailed Frontier and they did answer the email stating that they fixed the problem and the new boarding pass will have the number on it. It did not! I had to go through TSA in the airport for this mistake. With all the notifications, the departing time was essentially more than 2 hours the original time.

Boarding procedures - inefficient. Seat - very small and does not recline. My bf who is 6 feet tall had his knees banging into the seat and had to keep his legs in the aisle. Seat table - can only fit a phone, u/a to work with a laptop; overhead bin - none for the last 2-3 rows. Bathroom in one aircraft - I could not even squat down or fit comfortably and I am petite! Bathrooms were filthy and not stocked. I had to search for the toilet paper rolls. No in-flight entertainment. All you get is your loud mouth flight attendants. So unrefined really. Listening to their loud chit chat and stories about their private lives is not one you would like to relax to on your evening flights. They charge for everything including carry on luggage. Luggage fees change when you purchase the ticket, when you pay with check-in and when you pay at the airport.

Seats are the same - have to prepay or get one randomly assigned. On the way back, the flight was delayed more than 3 hours on top of the 2 hour wait at the airport. Everyone around me (mostly businessmen) have said that their whole day has been wasted waiting around in the airport. Even if I checked in online, I decided to line up and talk to an agent regarding my TSA number not showing in my boarding pass but it showed in my BF's pass. Useless customer service agents. They cannot problem solve. She gave me wrong information and did not fix the problem. A lot of them seem this way. Again I had to line up and go through TSA even if I have paid for this service. People were trying to rest on the plane and the flight attendants at the back were so loud! The worst experience on a 2 hour flight ever! Never again. It does not come out cheaper at all. Better go with a full service airline.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

First and last time flying Frontier. At check in the girl didn't even look up and told us she wasn't available, moves to next girl. Then we sit at gate for an hour with mechanical issues, pull away, sit on tarmac another 30 minutes, go back to gate and deplane. We left 4 hours after originally scheduled. I stood up to use the bathroom misunderstanding the announcement and was told could not yet. I responded I had misunderstood and was told by the flight attendant in the most condescending tone, "misunderstood the little lighted sign." Snarkiness continued. Then when we ask at gate about a number to complain to, they couldn't even find a pen. Rude and incompetent from start to finish.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My husband and I booked with Frontier to celebrate our honeymoon in Vegas! We were so excited until we got to the airport and discovered the flight was delayed for hours. We were encouraged to rebook for another day, and that was just as worse! We lost an entire day in Vegas and had to call our hotel to rebook with them which cost us extra money... also Hours before we got on the flight they tell us we have to pay for carry-on luggage as well snacks (can of soda, small snack-size Pringles for $6??? The seats were hard and the staff is EXTREMELY rude!).

For my first experience, this is by far the worst and last I or my family will ever fly with them. They are crooked... the prices are not cheap as they portray... after you add suitcase cost, small "snack", seat selection, the tickets are just as expensive as a flight that will offer you an all-inclusive deal, and sometimes those flights are not as expensive as Frontier! The owners of Frontier should be embarrassed at the way they are conducting business. If they don't change quickly, I regret to say that they might not be in business long. And you know... that might not be a bad thing! NEVER AGAIN WILL WE FLY WITH THIS COMPANY... EVER.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Just received an email that my flight from Austin to Atlanta has been NOW routed through Denver. So my 3 hours flight is now 12 hours out bound and 14 hours coming back! I will also miss the main reason I am traveling. Have been on the phone with their re-routing reservation (who barely speaks English), she is telling me there is nothing they can do. YES I did buy the insurance BUT since I purchased the tickets on their DEN Club memberships at a discount they cannot refund anything! Now I am stuck purchasing a tickets 10 days before I fly at a much great cost.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Worse experience with an airline EVER. Nickel and dimed to death. Plane delayed in Mexico for 5 hours. No customs available in Denver because of delay. Money Problem with pilots, service personnel were described to passengers at Two gates upon boarding. Seats did not recline, charged for everything even after hours on runway for repairs in Cancun. Never Again on Frontier.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My 18 year old son goes to college in Melbourne Florida. With Hurricane Irma I scrambled to get him home to NJ. Every airline was booked but I VERY happily was able to get him a flight out of Orlando to Trenton NJ on Friday, September 8th. I paid for his flight, extra legroom, and his carry on bag, which is an "official carry on bag". But when he was at the airport the person at the desk told him he must pay for his carry on because they felt it may be heavy. To get on the plane he had to pay $45 (which is even a higher fee than I already paid because it's at the airport) for the carry on bag that I already paid for. Why is he be charged twice, is it because there is a hurricane and you can gouge people? Or is because he is a kid on his own for the first time? Or is it because he is **? Either way it's wrong! Frontier was moving up in my book since I was able to get my son on their plane but after pulling a stunt like this I will STAY FAR AWAY!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

My flight was delayed three hours without explanation at LAX. Coming back the flight took three hours from Orlando Florida. The seat was terribly uncomfortable, and there was no entertainment available.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

When the flight is delayed there is no explanation or whatsoever that you will hear from the pilot or any of the staff. I'm not only talking of a 2 or 3 hour delay. The last time I had Frontier my flight was delayed for 6 hours. Not good, very dissatisfied.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Frontier radically changed its model on several levels and all were bad for consumers of their service. The nickel and diming that occurs is frustrating. Their new seats are terrible. Charging for carry on discriminates against female travelers who carry and purse and laptop bag. If they charge, it should be for roller bags. They charge for seats but don't give free refreshments. This from the company that used to bake us cookies. Their service is now outsourced - always a terrible experience. No amount of cute animals on the tail makes up for the changes they've made. They put profits above people in some critical areas. At least they now have pre-check.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

It went smoothly had no trouble on the flight. Could use a little bit more space room so you don't feel cramped in though other than that it was nice. Not as clean as it should've been though.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Our checked bags were searched through and items stolen and clothes damaged. Airline only offered a $50 travel voucher saying that, "You have to file a report within 24 hours" and we didn't notice the missing item until 24 hours later when we went looking for it. They would not consider the fact that they have staff in their Atlanta Georgia location stealing from passenger bags. David the baggage claim manager would not even speak on the theft only saying, "You have to file with 24 hours."

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

This was the worst most frustrating experience I have ever had with an airline and I fly multiple times per year. It was my first and last experience with this disaster of an airline. Their customer service is outsourced to no doubt save money, but when the person on the other end cannot functionally communicate with an American it ends up even worse. I spent more money getting home after a cancelled flight than the cost of the stupid flight to start with and no one cares because they ARE TERRIBLE. I talked to 5 different foreign customer service agents, none of whom gave one flip about what happened to us. So if you have a choice, pay the extra money and fly a real airline.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

We pre-paid for selected seats and a suitcase when we purchased the tickets for 4 people. We arrived 50 minutes before the flight. Cameras and an officer on-call are both witnesses! The day before we tried checking in but Frontier website kept kicking the check in option with an error. Upon arrival to the kiosk, the woman didn't even greet us or asked for a name, she just pointed at the suitcase and said "You taking that?" Shocked of her agenda and attitude I replied with "Yes, hello, we are here to check in." Her immediate reply was "You ain't getting on the flight." I was shocked and asked "Why." Her reply was "You didn't check online." Since when you are denied boarding passes since you didn't check in online?!?

We begged her to print the boarding passes but nothing helped. They were overbooked and the upper kiosk told her not to allow us up... My son and I burst in tears, looking at the time running against us and missing the flight to a family reunion that flew into Chicago to see us, after years apart, from another state. The officer that was on site came to us when he noticed us crying and distressed and told us aside "I am so sorry, but never book with this company. I get a ton of complaints as this about them." He then said he will help us find other flight tickets... Unbelievable! We ended up leaving the airport as tickets prices were inflated due to trying to book last minute. We were devastated being denied for boarding passes, not being offered the money back due to over booking and losing $$ for the hotel reservations and most of all, missing the family get together, my only cousin and her new born, that flew in just to meet us!!

This company is a crook and should be out of business. The clerk representing them should not be hired by any airline. It is a disgrace. Absolutely disgusting the way she approached us with her prepared agenda. We called Frontier and the answer we got from a rep by the name "Cloe" was: "We can sell you other tickets at last minute price"... Crooks!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I don't like that they charge for every little thing, like checking a bag and reserving a seat. However, their base price for a ticket is pretty low, so maybe worth it. Just annoying, though.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Bag fees and restrictions are ridiculous. Seats are small and very uncomfortable too! But attendants are helpful and try to stay cheerful. Plane seemed to be maintained as well.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Frontier Airlines flights are generally late, very poor value and customer service can be rude. The flights are always crowded and the customers feel like cattle.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Last fall I flew non-stop from Raleigh/Durham NC to Denver Colorado round trip. I hadn't flown for about 15 years and I'm not too keen on flying anyway. Being a senior made me feel ill at ease as well. Since this was my first experience with Frontier, I wasn't sure what to expect. Although the flights were crowded, the planes were new and clean. The attendants in Raleigh/Durham were very helpful and I was familiar with Denver International, so no problems on the ground. All in all I had a good trip and will fly Frontier again... Oh, and did I mention the great rates? Outstanding!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

My wife forgot to add my son to my one way reservation. Spoke to the outsourced customer service person that couldn't care less about the situation. They refused to match the member price offered online. I will never fly Frontier again!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Never ever again will I or my friends and family ever take this airline. They sent us emails about changing the departure time 4 times, all of them being later and later, the latest being take off at 9 am instead of the original 7:25 am. A group of 6 of my friends and I were on our way back from vacation and we decided to get to the airport early when we received a final email saying that the flight departure time was back to its original 7:25 am at 6:30 am. We only had an hour to get through baggage claim, security, and get to our terminal on time. One of my friends got stopped by TSA for further inspection and ended up getting to the terminal just after the doors to the cabin closed. The plane was still at the gate and she texted us saying that she was there and we talked to flight attendants to tell them about the situation and that our friend was right outside.

The attendant in the terminal was extremely rude to my friend that had gotten left behind and the attendant that I spoke to gave me an attitude about it. I was about to get my stuff and stay with my friend, but they wouldn't let me and we ended up leaving her in Orlando until she got a flight back. On top of that, this airline didn't even give her compensation for what happened and she had to buy a whole new plane ticket on a different airline just to get home. This was the worst flight experience that I've ever had and my friends, family and I will never ever be taking this airline ever again.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My son booked a round trip ticket from Nashville, TN to Las Vegas and back. On the way to the airport this morning there was a car wreck and he was stuck in traffic for over two hours. When he gets to the airport the plane is leaving. He is told by a very rude Frontier employee that he would have to pay 99.00 for a transfer fee plus another 35.00 for his bag (that he already paid prior). Now here is the kicker the online price for the ticket is only 95.00 with tax. I reached out to their customer service and they were like "And" this is our policy. Then instead of a solution I get a bunch of instant messages with links to read it. Pleaseeeee do not use this airline. It might look cheaper but it is NOT. I have never seen service this bad before and I have seen some pretty bad airline service. It I could give them Zero Stars I would.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I should have read reviews before booking with this airline, rudest uneducated staff. Website stated free carry-on yet when I got to gate they charge $60. Will NEVER fly with this airline again and don't recommend at all.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I had booked a flight to go out to LA with some friends. As excited as I was about the trip, some things came up last minute that left me unable to go, and only 8 hours before my flight was to take off. I called Frontier, knowing that this was against their policy to refund my flight on such short notice. However, I explained the situation and was greeted by complete understanding by their customer service representatives. Though it was generally against their policy, they refunded my flight completely. I would absolutely suggest Frontier to my friends and family, and look forward to booking with them when I am able to in the future.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Was mad to find out after waiting a month for my ticket refund due to flight cancellation on my part that they don't offer refund but flight credit if given less than 24hr notice. They already deducted the cancellation fee and still want to keep the rest of my money. Never again with Frontier.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I had first experience with Frontier on July 9 from Columbus Ohio to Las Vegas. I needed to switch plan instead coming back home try to forward to Orlando. It cost $99 each person ended up to pay whole ticket cost. What a trap. Shame on you on this kind of business policy Frontier. Then service inside plane that is another story. For some reason in their restroom every time used by traveler the whole traveler will get that smell as a gift for been on the Frontier airline.

Chairs that is another story. My backyard chairs was much comfortable. I am glad I had my own snacks with me otherwise it was gonna be another disaster from price perspective wise. It was nightmare buddy. Then on the way back home they charge me & my wife for bags. So ended pay extra $135 ($45 each). So on their website they are announcing lower charge that is scam. You will pay that back in different way. Where other airline charge you $25 for bags with much better service for traveler been. Overall I hope customer let this kind of business to be out of business. It is just horrible for travel business. Also if somebody try to do it in a legal way I will encourage him or her to do so.

Original review: July 25, 2017

We flew to Puerto Rico and all went pretty smooth. After I booked, a couple of days before our flight was to leave I checked the reviews to this airline and most was bad. I then hoped that we would not have a bad experience and I sure did not tell my wife. Anyway on the return trip it became a nightmare. Delay after delay. Told them our connecting flight has already left so even when we land in Orlando there would be no more flights that day to get us back to Charlotte.

They put us on American Airlines and they were just awesome. But American Airlines charged us also for bags and Frontier stated our bag policy. There is no refunds. So paid for bags twice, lost seat selection refund also, as Frontier stated no refunds for seat selection or bags. Lesson learned pay less, get less and a headache. Sticking to American Airlines from now on. After all is said and done I broke even but with a lot running around and a headache. First time for Frontier last time for Frontier.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Your added fees are a joke, I am surprised you don't charge extra for the air your passengers breath on the plane. $320.00 for small carry on bags is an absolute rip off. I will be sure to tell my story to as many people as possible and will do everything possible to never fly Frontier again. Was told by your agent at the airport that she does not work for Frontier, I guess she does not represent your airline when she is checking luggage and boarding passes. I could go on but bottom line is I am very disappointed with flying Frontier.

Frontier Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1994, Frontier Airlines now launches more than 375 flights each day to destinations throughout the U.S., Mexico and Jamaica. Today, this relatively new airline employs more than 3,000 aviation professionals.

• Get the works: Frontier Airlines offers a package price that includes services such as refund-ability, free change service, priority boarding, extra carry-on and checked bag allowance and more.
    • Exclusive discounts on fares: Travelers who join the Frontier Airlines Discount Den get access to low-rate fares only available to members. Members can book flights for up to six people on the same subscription.
    • Manage flights online: Through the Frontier website, travelers can check in, book flights, make changes and check on the status of their flights.
    • Economy-plus options: Get the same low fares on economy-class seating but nab an extra 5 to 7 inches of legroom with stretch-seat options. A small additional fee gives passengers that little bit of extra space.
    • Choose your seat: Many airlines have moved away from assigned seating, but on Frontier passengers can select a seat that lets groups stay together in the air.
    • Best for: Vacationers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers who want extra room and more control over their experience.
    Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
    Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Frontier Airlines Company Information