Frontier Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I should have read reviews before booking with this airline, rudest uneducated staff. Website stated free carry-on yet when I got to gate they charge $60. Will NEVER fly with this airline again and don't recommend at all.

I had booked a flight to go out to LA with some friends. As excited as I was about the trip, some things came up last minute that left me unable to go, and only 8 hours before my flight was to take off. I called Frontier, knowing that this was against their policy to refund my flight on such short notice. However, I explained the situation and was greeted by complete understanding by their customer service representatives. Though it was generally against their policy, they refunded my flight completely. I would absolutely suggest Frontier to my friends and family, and look forward to booking with them when I am able to in the future.

Was mad to find out after waiting a month for my ticket refund due to flight cancellation on my part that they don't offer refund but flight credit if given less than 24hr notice. They already deducted the cancellation fee and still want to keep the rest of my money. Never again with Frontier.

I had first experience with Frontier on July 9 from Columbus Ohio to Las Vegas. I needed to switch plan instead coming back home try to forward to Orlando. It cost $99 each person ended up to pay whole ticket cost. What a trap. Shame on you on this kind of business policy Frontier. Then service inside plane that is another story. For some reason in their restroom every time used by traveler the whole traveler will get that smell as a gift for been on the Frontier airline.

Chairs that is another story. My backyard chairs was much comfortable. I am glad I had my own snacks with me otherwise it was gonna be another disaster from price perspective wise. It was nightmare buddy. Then on the way back home they charge me & my wife for bags. So ended pay extra $135 ($45 each). So on their website they are announcing lower charge that is scam. You will pay that back in different way. Where other airline charge you $25 for bags with much better service for traveler been. Overall I hope customer let this kind of business to be out of business. It is just horrible for travel business. Also if somebody try to do it in a legal way I will encourage him or her to do so.

We flew to Puerto Rico and all went pretty smooth. After I booked, a couple of days before our flight was to leave I checked the reviews to this airline and most was bad. I then hoped that we would not have a bad experience and I sure did not tell my wife. Anyway on the return trip it became a nightmare. Delay after delay. Told them our connecting flight has already left so even when we land in Orlando there would be no more flights that day to get us back to Charlotte.

They put us on American Airlines and they were just awesome. But American Airlines charged us also for bags and Frontier stated our bag policy. There is no refunds. So paid for bags twice, lost seat selection refund also, as Frontier stated no refunds for seat selection or bags. Lesson learned pay less, get less and a headache. Sticking to American Airlines from now on. After all is said and done I broke even but with a lot running around and a headache. First time for Frontier last time for Frontier.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Airlines?

Your added fees are a joke, I am surprised you don't charge extra for the air your passengers breath on the plane. $320.00 for small carry on bags is an absolute rip off. I will be sure to tell my story to as many people as possible and will do everything possible to never fly Frontier again. Was told by your agent at the airport that she does not work for Frontier, I guess she does not represent your airline when she is checking luggage and boarding passes. I could go on but bottom line is I am very disappointed with flying Frontier.

This is a true scam. I never heard of Frontier or aware of it until I read the news item about United CEO upset at Frontier selling 25 dollar tickets. I tried to get into the bargain. First step I had to pay 49 dollars to become a member. Then I found out that the cheap fare is no good during holiday times. Even then when I started to buy it I noted that carry on bag is 30 dollars each way and the seats cost money and so by the time it all added up it is no cheaper than a regular Southwest fare. Once I read all the write ups about Frontier, I am never going to fly an airline such as that. Not so much because of all the hassles. Because of safety. So here is my question to all, how is this airline still up and running when it scams just about every customer???

My wife and I traveled back from Seattle to Cleveland via Frontier Airlines. Terrible experience. We purchased tickets via Orbitz and flew to Seattle on different airline, very good experience (drink, snack, movie, comfortable seats). We tried to check In online within 24 hours of departure and found Frontier's website to be terrible. I had seat assignments when I purchased tickets, but they did not show when checking in, only seats that showed I had to purchase. We then could not get seats to save so had to check in at airport. Showed up early to check in, but they use contract labor that only show up 2 hours before flight and it was a mad rush to stand in long line with all other travelers.

Then we had to pay $45/bag for checked luggage and they also charge $45/bag for carry on luggage if you want to use overhead compartments, otherwise it has to be put under seat. Speaking of seats, they felt like a piece of plastic with vinyl over it and minimal foam padding. Rough 4.5 hour flight to say the least. I tried to switch this return flight, but same day was just too expensive. I would not recommend Frontier Airlines. Flights may seem cheap on the surface, but a lot of hidden costs and no drink, snack, movie, or comfortable seating for 4.5 hour flight. They are on my No Fly list.

I booked a flight for my husband and I from Austin to Chicago back in June for October travel date. I got an email earlier this week stating that my reservation has changed which will get us in later than we would like to. I read many bad reviews on Frontier so my expectation was super low when I called customer service. I did have to wait for about 20 minutes before getting a "live" person. I spoke with Sam and explained to her the situation and that we need to get in to Chicago as originally planned for an event. She asked if we could leave a day early and I told her no. That is not possible. I did have to proactively ask if there is a chance they can cancel my reservation and provide a full refund and to my surprise she said yes. That is not a problem.

She said I should receive an email in 24-48 hours confirming the cancellation and should see refund in 7-10 business days. And on top of that, she said they will provide my husband and I each a $50 travel vouchers for our inconvenience! Mind you I was very skeptical, even after hanging up with her. But what do you know, I got the email confirmation right after we hung out that it's been cancelled, and I saw the refund in my bank account the next day. Very pleasantly surprised. I have not seen the second email regarding the vouchers yet but I'm ok if I don't get any. I just wanted my money back and them not charging any extra weird cancellation fees. I'm a happy customer.

Horrible experience flying with this airline. Two of the flight attendants for this flight just didn't show up for my 8am flight, the airline didn't know or start looking for replacements until 8am. Our flight was delayed over 1 1/2 hours waiting for them to locate 2 more employees to take their spot. No compensation or accommodations were offered for anyone, even those with connecting flights. All staff were very unprofessional and unprepared. I will never fly this airline again, now you know why their prices are so cheap.

I paid almost $300 for my free ticket. The hidden fees are everywhere. If you would like a true free ticket, fly Southwest. All you pay is $11 to cover the required fees. Do not get tricked into getting their credit card for free miles either. The yearly fee adds more to the cost of the flight without an additional anniversary bonus. There is a reason Frontier has such a low score; the customer means nothing. Don't bother calling to complain either. They are so used to miserable customers that they fail to listen and hang up if you try to follow-up.

55 min. flight from Philadelphia to Raleigh, NC that took All Day!!! I am an event planner. I need to be where I need to be when I need to be there!!! Today I arrived at the airport at 11:30 am for a flight due to leave at 1:20 pm. While in the check baggage line, I found out my flight had been delayed to 2:53 pm. I missed an email that went out at 10:18 am. I guess I was too busy rushing to the airport. By 12:30 pm, it was delayed to 2:00 pm, it was delayed again to 4:35 pm, then 4:53 pm, then 5:42 pm and so on and so on. Well we finally boarded at 9:00 pm. We are still on the runway at 9:51 pm. Thank you Frontier for wasting my entire day. I was due at my daughter's university for a presentation to new parents! This is ridiculous! I was at the airport long enough for a day's salary! Unacceptable! We all should be paid! 7 delays total!

The worst airlines ever made. Flights are always delayed. The food service is terrible and ** they don't care that people have to be at their destinations at a certain time. Horrible services. You have to pay for your own food. Don't count on food, bring your own snacks. 2.99 chips and beverages ** and ** never again.

Paid over $300 for a ticket. Then you have to pay extra to choose a seat. My daughter had a purse and they wouldn't let her on the flight until she paid $50 to take it. They were threatening to shut the door and not let her on until she paid. The rude attendant said "This is an ala carte airline". I said then "what was the $300 I paid for?" No answer. I paid and there was no overhead space for it so she had to try to put it under the seat. Being 6'3" it was very crowded. Then on my ccard they charged me $60. Of course when I called them later about it they said "sorry, we can't do anything." Frontier is the worst business model ever. I won't be sad when they go under. They could take a tip from Southwest.

Frontier Airline could offer me a free seat every month and I would not take it. This is apparently an airline plagued with mechanical issues. Worse is how they treat their passengers. Frontier told 182 passengers they would have to wait a week to get home - WHAT, WHO does that? That is completely not realistic to assume everyone can afford to take another week off of work. They spent a lot of time shrugging shoulders at people and feeding them airport food. What made it worse is everyone on the plane knew it was something other than the air conditioning - they lied. What people want is the truth. Be up front, tell how long it will take and let people make informed decisions so they can get home to their families.

I had a booked flight on the 24th of this month. Prior to my flight I had been feeling a little sick and on my way to the airport I spiked a fever of 103. I ended up calling Frontier and telling them that I was currently on my way to the emergency room with my boyfriend (who had a flight that same day as well). The man on the phone from Frontier told me that as long as I had a doctor's note, he will put our flights on hold and we will be able to just reschedule once we fax my doctor's note in.

We go to the doctor, turns out I had a really bad kidney infection and my doctor had told me to hold off flying for at least 24 hours as the medicine she prescribed made me a little nauseous. We get home and faxed the doctor's note into Frontier only to call them and have them tell us that there will not be any way that we can reschedule the flight and that we had to pay a fee of $50.00. The supervisor that we talked to gave us both vouchers and was very VERY quick to hang up the phone. We are going to the airport today to hopefully knock some sense into these people. As far as I knew, if you had a valid medical note and reason for not making your scheduled flight AND you call before the departure time, you should be able to reschedule your flight. I just need to make it home and these people were terribly rude.

Booked a flight that was scheduled to leave at 11:05 am. Got an email that night saying the flight was changed to 5:30 am. That time doesn't work for me, which is why I booked the later flight to begin with. After being on hold for 30 minutes, I was told they would refund my flight. After hanging up, I got the email saying they are only refunding half. This is the worst airline and I will never fly them again. You'll end up paying more in the end if you book through Frontier Airlines.

Flight was decent, but they lost my baggage. My flight was from DFW to Denver. I have multiple medical conditions that require daily medications and I also wear contacts that I change daily. The lady acted like she had no idea what was going on or where my baggage was. After an HOUR of waiting, she said they probably left my bag in Dallas. She said it would be at least a day and a half until they could get me my bags back. So now I have NO medicine, and NO contacts or glasses. They said they would not refund my bag fee, but would reimburse me for up to $75 worth of reasonable necessities at the airport. Did I mention I have no medicine? Unbelievable. Never flying Frontier again.

Today, I went on the Frontier Airlines website to book a trip from Orlando to Cincinnati. The experience using the site was exasperating and I am not computer illiterate. I finally booked the flight getting the best airfare by purchasing The Works. This allowed for free checked bag, free carry on, refundability, etc. My understanding was the fee was good for a year, but it's only good for the flight that was booked. My mistake, but my complaint is the site is misleading travelers by not highlighting the extra fee is flight specific. This trip will be my last on Frontier.

I just booked a trip from Chicago to Las Vegas for this August for my birthday. I booked online for the 16th-20th. When I finished my transaction it said August 16th-22th. I called immediately. The sale dep. said there is nothing they can do. Last time flying with Frontier Airlines.

My flight from Cincinnati to San Diego on June 18, 2017 was delayed almost 4 hours. They did their boarding process in 15 minutes and when the rude lady at the counter announced, "This is the last and final call for boarding," I rushed towards her and she saw me and my sister but still she went inside and closed the gate. I called my parents who had already boarded, and they had to literally beg the pilot to let me in. I approached the lady when she came out and asked her, "How could you close the gate on us," and she started mumbling saying, "Not my fault. The gate is suppose to close at this time," and bla bla. Like who closes the gate in 15 minutes from when the boarding started and when you can see the passengers running towards you? Anyway I am glad I was able to get onto the flight, thanks to my parents' begging and cries to let me in. I will never forget this and will never use Frontier ever again. You are a disgrace to the airline industry.

As part of our Apple Vacation to Punta Cana, our family flew Frontier out of ORD. Where to begin? Seats do not recline, depth of snack tray is about 3" (No worries, they don't give you anything without a price!), plane was not very clean, flight attendant was extremely bossy and abrasive. Icing on the cake... They sat my 85 year old mom and my sister in the wrong seats. Lots of shuffling around required, and then the flight attendant said to me, "Why is she (my sister) moving so slow?" The other flight attendant rammed my elbow spilling coffee (purchase at ORD - I repeat - NOTHING is complimentary) over me. When everyone was seated, I approached rude, bossy pants and explained why I was so offended. After that, she tripped over herself trying to be nice. I believe she feared I would make a formal complaint. That may still happen. We have one more flight with them to get home. Regardless of the outcome, this will be my last Frontier flight. 1 star is generous.

Only because you can't give negative numbers. Worst airline ever!!! It is worth the extra cost to travel on a quality airline. Changed our flight to give us an 8 hour layover without letting us know, making us miss an important family event. They were not willing to do a thing to remedy the situation, because they say that they sent an email, an email that I never received. This airline in dishonest, unprofessional, unorganized, and a total waste of money. You get what you pay for, and Frontier Airlines is not worth it. Please travel with an respectable company.

Charge of $45 for a carry on!! I tried to check in and add bags online, but the website would not take me where I need to go. I tried calling and the automated service only went around in circles. No option in automated calling system to speak to a human. Then the attendants were rude and sarcastic. The seat are very uncomfortable. Get with the times and add charging ports.

We were checking in our one bag and charged me 45 dollars then lady told us we had to check in our other bags. Also charged us 45 dollars each carry. That is robbery. Should have flown with United. Will never fly with Frontier Airlines again. My trip was ruined. Left me zero in my account.

We booked flights for six people. They changed the flights. Made them overnight stays. Would not refund money till reviewed. Bought parachute for no charges

if I cancelled. Would not refund money till reviews that takes 10 days. Horrible flights were booked for Military Graduation. Not American company. No morals or caring. Gonna use my money and not refund as they should. They canceled and changed flight. They should refund immediately. Not consumer's fault and they don't care. It's their process to bait and switch the customer.

I booked my tickets from Colorado to Vegas in January for a June flight. The night before my flight leaving to Vegas I logged on to check in and my 10:50am flight showed it was now leaving at 3:50pm. I immediately called Frontier. I was told there was an earlier flight but it was full. I explained we were going to a wedding and I had to be there for the rehearsal dinner and this would not work. People book certain times for a reason. I received no advanced notification of the flight change. I was told there were no other flights. I asked to cancel my reservation and refund my flight. Then they tried to charge me $100 a ticket to cancel. They move the flight and then tried to make me pay to cancel. What a joke.

I ranted and raved 'till I got a manager which took about an hour and a half between being on hold etc... I canceled my flight and then ended up booking another airline the night before my flight at an additional cost that I had to absorb to make it in on time. I will never fly Frontier again!!! This was complete unacceptable and the worst customer service I have ever experienced! Take my advice and pick another airline...

My mother flew from Denver to Dallas (DFW) to help me with surgery. She got here Thursday morning and apparently her checked bag did not. After being told to fill out a claim for it, my husband ran her by the store to get a few items. She called the line for lost baggage and was told that her bag was "probably" in Houston and they would call her back with an update.

Hours later, no call. She calls again. No one knows what she's talking about as there is "no claim." Seriously!? She talks to someone AGAIN and is told that they have to talk to a supervisor and will call her back. Surprise! No call. This has happened over and over for almost 48 hours now. NO ONE knows where her bag is, IF Frontier is even in POSSESSION of her bag and she is being told she will only be reimbursed for items she has had to purchase (toiletries, clothes, etc) "within reason." What. Does. That. Even. Mean?! A person has to have underwear, pajamas, a change of clothes for each day (or at least 2 to trade out and wash) and toiletries.

So then my mom (on her umpteenth call to Rose in lost baggage) asks if she will be charged to carry on the bag that she now has to purchase for her return flight. She is told "well, if you check the bag, possibly not." Check her new bag? CHECK THE BAG!? Are you joking? We still don't even know where her current bag is! You know, the one with my mom's nice clothes and shoes, Clinique makeup, Apple iPad, prescription medication and gifts for her granddaughters in it. The one that NO ONE KNOWS WHERE IT IS!

What really gets me is, there is absolutely ZERO compassion or apologies. Just a dismissive "our apologies for your inconvenience. Our apologies for your inconvenience." Yeah? Well then DO something! Start making some reimbursements, stop giving excuses and OWN UP TO YOUR MISTAKE! There is no reason why they should not know where this bag is. Shouldn't every bag be scanned at exit and entry for flights? They should know where it is! I am so done with Frontier.

Our last two flights had similarly B.S. experiences with our PAID FOR seats "disappearing" because they switched the flight "for our convenience" and the row our seats were in magically disappeared. Went to check in 24 hours before and had no seats! Then our flight was massively delayed on the return trip. No notification. Is Frontier even aware that they are in the business of CUSTOMER SERVICE because they SUCK at it! I'll pay more to fly another airline from now on.

On January 5, 2017 purchased three tickets round-trip tickets from Kansas City to Orlando Florida. Left flights were straight flights leaving on June 1 at 6:00 pm arriving in Florida at around 9:55 PM, on flight 1608. So yesterday when I asked my husband to go on the website and try to check in like I have done always on other airlines, he told me something didn't look right so I said, "Something doesn't look right." It shows that we don't arrive there till 2 June.

I assumed that my husband had made an error. I told him don't worry about it. As soon as I get home which was at 8:45 last night I called JustFly.com which is the way I have purchased my airlines, I told him that I wanted to check in and I was double checking on my itinerary. He proceed to let me know that Frontier has actually changed itinerary months ago. As you can imagine I was very very upset. My son actually plays for his school band. I was going to be performing at Universal Studios on Friday. Thursday Friday June 2 at or around nine in the morning. When you advise me that my itinerary was now leaving Kansas City at 2:05 arriving in Denver at 2:15 I'm leaving the next morning at 12:15 AM I was so upset. He told me that not only has my outbound ticket had changed but my return had changes well. Remember I had bought straight flight tickets.

My son had left on the charter bus and my youngest son. My husband and I have you made plans to not only watch my oldest son perform with his school but take the youngest boy and make it a little mini vacation. The attendant for justfly.com told me that he was contacting Frontier and to please hold. I waited about 20 to 25 minutes before he came back to the phone with some gentleman by the name of Jim that was a representative for Frontier Airlines.

I was so excited when he got on the phone thinking that everything was going to be taken care of. But after he got on the phone he told me there was nothing that could be done and the airlines had emailed me and had let me know of all the changes. I said this was an untrue statement. I have never received an email telling me that my itinerary has changed. Why would I have waited to the last minute to check in if I was crunched for time. My husband and I both work and this was the time that I needed to fly due to our work schedules. We had planned and scheduled those many months ago.

Then I proceeded to ask him to speak to a manager on duty. I was very upset. He said he would get someone for me. I waited over an hour before this gentleman came back to the phone only adding to my anger. No manager ever came back to the phone. The only one that came back to the phone was the same gentleman Jim. Only to tell me that the managers were busy and we're unable to come to the phone. It felt like I had gotten another slap on the face. I asked them to issue me a full refund immediately. That took him another 20 minutes for him to do so.

At that point he asked me for an email so he could send me my refund information. Sold. I asked him, "I thought you guys told me that you had sent me an email in the past advising me of my itinerary change then is going." He said, "Yes we did not have an email on file. I apologize." This only got me even more angry and upset, but I did not want to let my son down. I was going to go watch his brother perform and be our little mini family vacation that will be the only vacation that we could take this summer.

So while waiting for him to issue me a refund I ended up going to the Southwest Airlines and purchasing tickets for us to fly out today and spent over $2200 for us to attend my son's performance. Disappointment, upset and really has made me sick to my stomach. I will be calling corporate office today at some point. I am hoping that this company is not as bad as everybody says. If not I'll try to pursue this to court. What they have done is wrong in every single level. We are hard-working family then unfortunately does not go on many vacations. This was a well planned vacation since January 2017. I have not gone in debt with my credit cards so I don't disappoint my youngest son. I will update as soon as I get a hold of corporate.

I had booked and paid for a flight from Denver to Miami departing on Sunday May 28 at 11:59 pm, arriving in Miami Monday May 29 at 5:47 am. When I printed my confirmation receipt, I noticed that the departing time had been moved ahead by 3 minutes to 12:02 am. I arrived at the airport 3 hours before the flight. I tried to print my boarding pass at the airport kiosk and it directed me to the counter instead. The agent at the counter informed me that I had missed the flight since it had left on Sunday the 28 of May at 12:02 am instead of Sunday May 28 at 11:59 pm. This trick made the flight a very early flight by 23 hours and 7 minutes instead of a late night flight.

The agent informed me that it was a non-refundable ticket and that the only thing she could do for me was put me on a standby flight and charge and extra $99 rebooking fee for each ticket. After raising a stink at the counter, they waived the rebooking fee and put me on standby, for a flight that I had booked and paid for a month before. I eventually was able to board the flight and given two seats in the front section where they have their prime seats. There were 4 empty seats in addition to mine when we took off. This is a horrible airline and try to use every trickster their disposal to take your money and not deliver what they offer. I am sure that there are many unsuspecting customers out there in which this trick has been applied.

Expert Review

Erika ArmstrongAirlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.    More about Erika→

Founded in 1994, Frontier Airlines now launches more than 375 flights each day to destinations throughout the U.S., Mexico and Jamaica. Today, this relatively new airline employs more than 3,000 aviation professionals.

• Get the works: Frontier Airlines offers a package price that includes services such as refund-ability, free change service, priority boarding, extra carry-on and checked bag allowance and more.
  • Exclusive discounts on fares: Travelers who join the Frontier Airlines Discount Den get access to low-rate fares only available to members. Members can book flights for up to six people on the same subscription.
  • Manage flights online: Through the Frontier website, travelers can check in, book flights, make changes and check on the status of their flights.
  • Economy-plus options: Get the same low fares on economy-class seating but nab an extra 5 to 7 inches of legroom with stretch-seat options. A small additional fee gives passengers that little bit of extra space.
  • Choose your seat: Many airlines have moved away from assigned seating, but on Frontier passengers can select a seat that lets groups stay together in the air.
  • Best for Vacationers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers who want extra room and more control over their experience.

Compare Airlines