3.04/5

1456 Frontier Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 13, 2019

I had a return flight from Orlando to Little Rock on 12th of April 2019 and I am a single mom with a little kid and just one 18 inches bag that is supposed to be free. I had the same bag on my flight from Little Rock to Orlando that was free. However, on my return flight they stopped me at the gate just 5 min before departure and I was told that I must pay 60 USD or they do not let me in. No explanation that why 18 inches bag is not free on my return flight why it was free on my original flight. They closed the gate and told me it is what it is and I must pay!!! Imagine I was with a kid in a vacation and understood how stupid are these people and they were talking in Spanish that I could not understand. So I paid $60. When I called Frontier Airlines to share my experience with them, response was that "we do not believe you"!!! Thanks for respecting your flyers! You are... absolute pain and suffer???

Original review: April 11, 2019

Stranded me / had to pay $1000 to get home. The morning of my return flight I received an email informing me I was to go to the departures desk and request my complimentary meal voucher... because my flight was canceled with no explanation. When I called Frontier it took 4 agents, and 2 hours to be told that they could rebook me on a return flight SIX DAYS LATER. I had to book a flight through another airline to the tune of $500 a piece. I received two $150 vouchers for future flights through Frontier which I will absolutely never ever fly with again.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

My flight was cancelled due to a snow storm. It took me an hour to actually get ahold of a human to speak to. Since the airline cancelled they were able to refund me but that’s it. Didn’t help me more than that. The representative I spoke with, you could barely understand him. No other flights were going out for days. Ridiculous. I understand that there was a snow storm going on and they needed to cancel their flight but my thought is... Where is the customer service?

I had to make the representative stay on the line and send me the email confirmation of my refund. Terrible customer service. Hours of trying to talk to the insurance and airline leads to “you’re not at a loss because they refunded you.” I am. I wasted my time. I am now having to drop hundreds of dollars to get another flight. I should have just used another airline. Will not be working with them again. They charge for everything as well. Why pay for a company that doesn’t actually want to help you.

Original review: April 8, 2019

This airline is the epitome of false advertising and hidden fees. They show up as the lowest fare until you go through the process to book. Then the highest additional fees of any airline kick in pushing the fare higher than competitors. Not to mention their "discount den" savings membership costs $60/yr and doesn't even lower the fare to what is advertised. Classic bait and switch. And if you're planning on getting on the plane with anything but the clothes on your back, you better be prepared to pay an additional $35 for a carry-on bag per flight. Literally showed up to be hundreds less than Delta for flight with connections. By the time it was all said and done Delta nonstop ended up being well over $100 cheaper per seat. Buyer beware, Frontier Airlines is a false advertising scam. Completely dishonest, I will never book on this airline just due to their unethical practices.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I bought 2 round trip tickets for my husband and I to go to see friends in Orlando back in November 2018, reserved car and house to stay at. Supposed to leave this coming Friday April 12th and they call to say our return flight was cancelled. Told we can fly out the next day, not an option as we have to be back to work. This was the first and last time we will ever look to Frontier air for travel!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Airlines?

Original review: April 5, 2019

I booked a trip through Expedia to Vegas on Frontier Airlines, despite the gruelingly awful reviews they got; just trying to save some money for a fun family Spring Break trip. Well, true to form, Frontier cancelled our flight the morning of the trip, leaving us to scramble and find an alternate flight. Thanks to Southwest Airlines for saving the day! The plane was full of stunned and disbelieving (former) Frontier passengers in the same predicament as our family. NEVER, NEVER, EVER book a Frontier flight unless you're a ** who loves pain.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Travel at your own risk! We paid the "extras" and checked our bag in on our way to Phoenix. Coming back we checked our back early and I asked the rep at the Phoenix airport if we were checking it in too early and he replied - "No. We do this all the time." Well we get to Colorado Springs and no bag! They took a report and told us they would contact us later that evening. After no contact, we contacted them the following day and was told that the bag never left Phoenix. We were then told that it would be in COS at 5:48 that day and we would be contacted when it arrived.

So the next day still no contact and we called again and the same snotty little girl answered the phone and told us she was the supervisor. She put us on hold and came back with "the bag is no longer in Phoenix and I can't call Frontier at COS because they are not working today" (It was a Tuesday). We asked where it was and got the same reply. So we are on day 4 now and still no contact from Frontier.

We called again and finally got someone with customer service skills. She tracked down the bag and got it to us that day. Now why did the bag go from Phoenix to Denver to Las Vegas and finally to Colorado Springs?? Everything in the bag was a mess with bottles leaking. We have always flown Frontier but no more. There is no savings when you add up all of the hidden costs and on top of that the poor customer service and communication. What did we get for all of our inconvenience and aggravation? A $100.00 voucher. You know what they can do with that $100 voucher. We will accept nothing less than a full refund for the flight. I don't even understand how they are still in business.

Original review: March 26, 2019

My wife and I were to fly Frontier from SC to Providence RI in September to a Grandson's wedding. Wife have a violent Dizzy and fainting spell one week prior to flight. This continued over a couple of days. Got a credit for cancelling to be used in 90 days. Her problem continued though we made plans to go to Denver to another Grandson's wedding this April. After a Dr checkup he still does not want her to fly and issued a letter for indefinite period. Cancelled again.

Frontier WILL NOT RETURN MY MONEY $319.80. But issue another credit for a flight booked in the next 90 days OR the credit cancels. This is how Airline sell cheap. "ROBBING" other people's money. We're both well in our 70s. This is NOT easy for us. We are grounded. I can't leave my wife for a minute So this Poor Airline gets my $319.00. A person robs that amount of money they go to jail.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I received an email telling me I had 0 miles earned. Six weeks earlier I had received an email telling me I had 68,560. I am diligent about buying an extra 1,000 miles every six months to keep my miles active. My next purchase wasn't due until May 27, 2019. I had a receipt for the last one made in November. I called Frontier and spent about an hour explaining I had made the purchase. Why had they just canceled all my miles and with no warning even though the agent said they always give a 90 day notice? They never have in all the years I've flown with them. Fortunately I had kept the email receipt for the November purchase with its confirmation number. I gave that to the agent. He said the airline would investigate the matter. What's to investigate. I had bought the miles and could prove it. He said it would take several days. He'd call me when a decision had been made.

Four days later, he called all happy because my miles had been reinstated as if they had done me a big favor. They never should have been dropped in the first place. I said they should give me some credit for this undue hassle. He put me on hold another 15 minutes and then returned saying they would give me 2 more months before the next purchase was due, now July 27, 2019. I checked a week later. They had not extended my due date. It's only 2 months but it's the principle of the thing. I called again and was put on hold for 20 more minutes. The new agent promised they would extend my date as explained by the first agent. They had his name on file! I just checked and they haven't done anything except take up about 2 hours of my time. I'm done with this airline after being a loyal customer since 2002. It's the absolute worst customer service.

Original review: March 18, 2019

The fees for luggage was super high, higher than any other airline, I was very unhappy with the fees they charged for the luggage. The airline stewardess were ok but the clerks where you drop your luggage were a bit indifferent.

Original review: March 16, 2019

The purpose for reserving our flights was resolved beforehand, so I cancelled our flights 3 weeks in advance. Not only do I have to pay full fare for the flights I won't use, but I have to pay a cancellation fee on top of it all. Does this sound right to anyone? Frontier has a chance to sell my seats again, which is currently listed for a higher price. Oh, I can use some flight credit for another flight within 90 days. Great. I have no reason to fly anywhere. And, I'm not looking to spend more money on top of what I lost. I hope Frontier will reconsider their slogan about low fares *Done Right*. Not seeing it.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Great airlines for immediate or unexpected travel. Always available seating and great customer service on the ground and in the air. On time departure and arrival also outstanding. Would recommend to friends and relatives.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I like this airline because it is close to a local airport. Where parking is easy and cheaper. The convenience overrides a lot of small issues that are encountered with flying and using airlines and airports along with long TSA lines and wait times.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I don’t usually write reviews but this was so bad I thought I should share my experience. I planned a getaway for my husband's birthday to Las Vegas. Arranged to have 2 of his brothers, one from Houston and one from Seattle meet us there. We had a show booked and paid for the night we got there. Our flight was delayed causing us to miss the show, called Frontier and was told to still be at the airport at the scheduled time and they would refund us $25, find out that $25 is in the form of a voucher that needs to be used within 90 days...worthless! The show was $300. So we finally get to Las Vegas. His brothers had already called it a night so we missed the show and spending time with family that night. It doesn’t stop there!

The flight home was also delayed, 3 hours, again. Told to still be at the airport to check in at the scheduled time. We are at the gate waiting, the gate gets changed, never announced, we just happened to check the board. So we move to that gate, then the gate is changed again, at least they announced it this time, so we move again. We finally got on the plane and headed home 4 hours late. This morning in my email I had 2 vouchers for $25 each, that doesn’t even come close to compensate for the lost show tickets, time both directions, and the time we missed with family. We could have flown with another airline that cost a little more upfront and still be cheaper.

Original review: March 10, 2019

My son and I were flying to Tampa from Chicago on a Sunday morning. We were 5 minutes late to get our boarding pass (online was not working) and were told, "Sorry there is nothing we can do." I rebooked for Monday morning at my expense. Our flight was delayed 5 hours due to mechanical issues. The mechanic actually left our plane to work on another plane. The attendant told us that delays of that long are refunded, false. I had to fight with customer service just to get vouchers for compensation. We both ended up getting 2 vouchers $75 & $50 which cannot be combined or transferred. This was my first and probably last flight with Frontier.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I like this airline for best rates! Seats are a little small for far travel, but it's great for shorter distance travel. Don't think you should have to pay to pick your seat or carry on. Overall I would recommend.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Found the staff very friendly. The Airbus had lots of leg room but the seats don’t recline so hard to get a rest. The online reservation system was very user friendly. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good discount airline.

Original review: March 6, 2019

This is the first online review I have ever written. It is not normally my style but my experience with Frontier Airlines was so bad I cannot contain myself. Briefly: they canceled our flight because of a problem with the plane after making us wait for five hours on a Friday night. We only found out because it was listed online. I had a business trip but about a hundred kids were anxiously waiting to get to Disneyland. Not one agent was at the desk and at about 11:30 I think it was a maintenance person that came up to finally agree with the online cancellation listing. Not one person was there to help reassign or assist anyone so people were stuck and unsure about how to get their luggage.

I have called several times but the system is automated and the call eventually ends with a: "please call back later”. I received an email telling me they would refund my money and give me a $500 ticket voucher with them or $400 with another airline. Ok fine... However, they will not respond with my refund for ticket or any type of voucher. I have emailed them six times and now have realized I am being ignored intentionally. If their service is this bad I would imagine this cheap backwards airline cuts corners on plane maintenance as well. Please research carefully before flying with them. Sincerely, a very level headed person pushed to the limit over being scammed by Frontier Airlines.

Original review: March 6, 2019

It is always clean and well stocked. Staff have been extremely friendly and helpful. Seat are comfortable. Usually can move seats if needed. I use extender and they are always available. They run on time and many times I get to where I am going early.

Original review: March 5, 2019

They changed my flight time prior to flying which was unacceptable to me. I called the customer service number to request a refund (which they claimed they would offer online). After waiting 40 minutes on hold (really? no callback option?) I was told that our time change was only a "minor" time change and didn't qualify for a refund. So what happens when I accept this time change...and then you change it again? I'm now hours delayed because of minor time changes that you imposed? Not Ok. I had to jump through hoops and raise my voice to first get to a manager. Once I was speaking with a manager, he tried several different times to NOT offer me the refund but finally did. FOR A $50 SERVICE FEE.

This company is criminal. I have hated flying them before simply because of the rude staff, but figured we'd give them another shot because of the cheap price. NEVER AGAIN. My experience with customer service has just proven to me that they DO NOT care at all about their customers and are just out to steal your money. I will be disputing that $50 service fee with my credit card company. At least they value their customers and customer service.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My biggest first step I have for you, is to go ahead and pay for the extra stretch seating. It's an extra $25 you will be so happy you did. There are many people saying you can take a gamble on the seating but I really would not do it. The planes are tightly squeezed and packed due to the great prices! I sat in seat 13A on both trips. It's window seating. I got a water and I carried some crackers in my purse with me because they only take credit cards or debit cards up in the air. They do not accept cash. The pilots were joking and friendly. I am usually terrified to fly but they put me at ease. I did not even have to say anything. Just go for it! Fly Frontier Airlines because they are caring and very prompt! Plane ride was smooth - hardly any turbulence and we were on time. Actually early. Do not let the bad review scare you away! Some people just expect too much from basic things!

Original review: March 5, 2019

Flight attendants and overall service was excellent. The flights were comfortable, the cabin and seats looked very well maintained. There was leg room between the seats. The atmosphere, mostly created by the pilots, flight attendants, and ticket agents was very pleasant.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Extremely tight seating. Was seated in the first row behind first class and as a “reward” my carry on (purse) was taken away and placed in an overhead 3 seats back. I was unable to access my personally provided snacks and as a result had a very low sugar level during the flight. The snacks provided by the airline were woefully inadequate. I was in a window seat and could not get out conveniently. In addition, there was a lot of turbulence meaning the seatbelt sign stayed on most of the time, further restricting any movement. The only seat I would ever ride on Frontier in the future would be outside on the wing. It would have to be better than the one I had.

Original review: March 3, 2019

We booked tickets on Frontier for a vacation. We booked all our accommodation and most of our sight seeing attractions. All which cost money out of pocket (a portion to hold reservation). Today we get an email from Frontier that have changed our flight dates. We are now leaving later on our departure. And we are now returning a day earlier. Putting us out a day earlier on our family vacation and. We’ll have to pay a penalty on our accommodations and we will be out the money we spent on attraction we booked ahead of time. Thinking we had that day that we lost.

What is the point booking a vacation and making plans of things to do. Putting down money to hold a spot if the air can just come in at the last minute and change everything. I don’t think this is way to run a business or treat your customers. It’s no wonder Frontier is a horrible company. This will be the last time I’ll book travel with them. If we all stop traveling with Frontier we can really make a difference.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Frontier offers these great deals, not only on price but offering direct flights (and with young kids, a direct flight is the way to go). The issue though is once you book flights with Frontier they constantly have flight changes. So you book this great priced, direct flights only to be told a few weeks later that now your flight is leaving on a different day and that it is no longer a direct flight but that it now has multiple layovers. (So a direct flight of a few hours went to 10+ hours). To make these dramatic schedule changes is unacceptable and has caused a lot of undue stress (and financial stress). Be very cautious if you book with Frontier...

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I purchased tickets for a flight for my family (4). Five days later I receive an email from Frontier offering a promo of 75% off certain flights (of which ours was included). I contacted Frontier, which took an hour in itself, and even the supervisor was unwilling to help. I simply asked him to change the promo code on my reservation and he would not. If I canceled my existing reservation and booked a new one they would charge me over $450 in cancellation fees. Basically it boils down to Frontier Airlines punishing customers for purchasing early. They have the WORST customer service I have ever encountered. I will never be flying Frontier again. Neither will my family. I will continue to share my review with others.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Sometimes they will text or email you if there's a delay and other times they won't tell you. They won't print you a boarding pass even if their online site isn't working at the time of attempted check in. Purchasing tickets online won't work most of the time. You have to call in but mention that it's not working and they will waive the $10 fee. They are huge sticklers about baggage size. They'll charge you after you're seated so there's less room to argue. Customer service is pretty terrible. They'll just ignore you and continue their job if you ask them questions they don't know. Relatively unprofessional.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

First of all, we live in Denver their hub. Our first flight Denver to Las Vegas was scheduled at 7 pm on a Sunday February 16th. The website sped delayed by 30 minutes. We checked in a suddenly the flight was not delayed, great expect if you had counter in that in timing your arrival, which we did. Flight back from Las Vegas to Denver Wednesday night 7:30. Left for the airport at 4:30, on the way there received an email marked as Do NOT REPLY stating "Sorry your trip do not go as planned.” Imagine your shock. There was no notice of delay or cancellation, just a $150 voucher.

I went on the website (because we could it get though by phone) and saw that our flight was marked CANCELLED. No reason, our friend was with us and had booked Southwest, his flight left on time. Tried to rebook, nothung for 2 days. No help from Frontier accept to show us a printout that we Should have received including a travel voucher for air or car rental. With no other fights to Denver for 2 days, we were forced to rent a car and drive the 13 hours to Denver. It was snowing in Las Vegas when we left and the drive back was in a blizzard conditions for the first 5 hours.

A bad situation is defined by how it is handled. Frontier needs to take a good look at Southwest Airlines, never had a problem with them, always had good flights and amazing service. We saved a little money by flying Frontier but in the end paid much higher price. Paid with our own time, safety and money

I agree with the other reviews, Frontier has been failing for a long time but has no empathy or human compassion for their precious cargo, the clients who hired them. Seems like the animals on their tails are more important than the people in the planes. Try Southwest, all included and better attitude in their altitude.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Reality is flights do get cancelled - the social media feedback had scared me when my flight was cancelled but I had a good experience with the customer service of Frontier Airlines. It does take a little time and patience but if you follow the instructions given in the letter handed to you when your flight is cancelled the reimbursement is handled quite efficiently. The customer service was prompt and helpful and once the all documents (invoices, application etc) were furnished, they promptly processed the reimbursement.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Flew out of Austin on Feb 13th to Vegas. My wife and I got there on plenty of time and the boarding pass people were so slow. By the time we got to the desk with half hour to go they told us we missed our flight, I was confused so lady told me we would never make it through security on time, I said, "Let me try," but they refused to give me a pass, but would put me on stand by for a flight leaving 2 hours later, wasn't looking good getting on but we made it (only good thing that happened).

So made it to Vegas, great trip, so two hours early for flight home, about 10 people in front of boarding pass gate messing around for at least 30 minutes, and I finally said something and they moved, told us we missed our flight again, it was 3 and flight left at 4:15, so this was Saturday and they couldn't get me home till Monday. Can't do that. We both have jobs, so got flight to Denver and they wanted to pay 80 bucks for that, I refused, so 3 hours we left, and had 12 hour layover in Denver, love sleeping on the dirty floors, people sleeping everywhere. Got to San Antonio Sunday morning, got a rental car to Austin. Bottom line they wanna charge you for everything, customer service sucks, planes are filthy, and return plane flight all the power went out on the plane. If you wanna live go another airline, or rental car, never again will I give them money. Thank you.

Frontier Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1994, Frontier Airlines now launches more than 375 flights each day to destinations throughout the U.S., Mexico and Jamaica. Today, this relatively new airline employs more than 3,000 aviation professionals.

• Get the works: Frontier Airlines offers a package price that includes services such as refund-ability, free change service, priority boarding, extra carry-on and checked bag allowance and more.

• Exclusive discounts on fares: Travelers who join the Frontier Airlines Discount Den get access to low-rate fares only available to members. Members can book flights for up to six people on the same subscription.

• Manage flights online: Through the Frontier website, travelers can check in, book flights, make changes and check on the status of their flights.

• Economy-plus options: Get the same low fares on economy-class seating but nab an extra 5 to 7 inches of legroom with stretch-seat options. A small additional fee gives passengers that little bit of extra space.

• Choose your seat: Many airlines have moved away from assigned seating, but on Frontier passengers can select a seat that lets groups stay together in the air.

• Best for: Vacationers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers who want extra room and more control over their experience.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Frontier Airlines Company Information