3.20/5
Based on 1,167 ratings submitted in the last year

1507 Frontier Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 13, 2019

It's June 12, 2019, the first time I am booking with Frontier Airlines for a future trip from Philadelphia, PA to Orlando Fl, scheduled for November 2019. First, a couple of praises for Frontier because I feel they are trying to do some things right! Note that I am not a professional reviewer, nor am I being compensated in any way (other than some self satisfaction) for sharing my thoughts. I rarely write reviews but Frontier's website experience compelled me to write this one.

Finding Frontier. I found Frontier thru the Google Flights search. Google does a decent job of finding low rates. The last item in my review discusses a little more savings you might be able to get. You can jump there now if you want, but think of all the good stuff from my experience you will miss! What I needed. My requirements were to depart in the morning, between 7:30 and 10:30 am and return late in the afternoon after 4PM. I'm traveling with friends, and they asked me to find the flights! Many discount websites make it difficult to see all the airline schedules, and instead prioritize flights by price or specials they claim to have. I skipped going down that rabbit hole for now. For this review, I focus on Frontier Airlines.

Account Signup. I found Frontier's website to be mostly straightforward and easy to use, which compared to other airline websites, was a delightful surprise for me. Setting up an account was easy and automatically opted me into their frequent flyer miles program. The password requirements were a bit stiff to conform to, and there is no 2 factor authorization for login.

Flight Selection. Selecting a departing and returning flight was simple and straightforward. Like with some other airlines, you cannot easily get the lowest displayed price unless you are willing to fly during off hours. After choosing the return flight, the prices for each leg are averaged together and show up as exactly the same cost for each leg. Again, nice and simple because other airlines show one price for going and another for the return flight, making you constantly second guess your choices. Unlike American Airlines, selecting the flight does not result in an immediate up-sell to the "main cabin" for an additional cost. I appreciated Frontier's streamlined approach. In other words, I got the price I expected. I kept checking to see what I was missing!

Fees - That's what I missed! I don't know about you, but I hate fees, upgrades and options. I always opt to the bundle when possible. My life is too short for me to spend time figuring out these things. Just sell me a ticket, tell me what you think I should have, and let me be on my way. PLEASE make life simple! Some other airlines have various fees that drive me nuts! Things like first and second baggage fees, premium seat charges, carry-on baggage fees, cancellation or schedule change fees. I think American Airlines has lengthy policies written to explain their fees. Who has the time to read all that? Who can really understand all the moving parts that seem to take into account bag size, weight, season. Too much for my brain to compute! FRONTIER MADE IT SO EASY!

The Works Bundle. Frontier has two fee bundles. I chose "The Works"! So simple This bundle includes everything I could want or need. It cost me $68 each way. I figured without this bundle, I would have paid at least $100 for the same stuff. More importantly than the money saved, I saved time!!! My only "upgrade" came at the very end for a $10.95 insurance that is provided, billed by and paid to AIG (but automatically added to the total price) to cover some stuff like lost baggage, etc. Even the final invoice was simple:

The Negatives: I read a couple of reviews here on this site about how bad Frontier is as an airline and how bad their employees mistreat their customers. Shame on those Frontier's employees for their lack of empathy, sarcasm and inhuman behaviors. I figure the karma of "what goes around will come around" will take care of them, one way or another. And I am hoping for a more pleasant experience than some on this site have had.

I have a couple of negatives regarding the Frontier Website: 1. Frontier's online payment processing does not permit the use of multiple payment methods, so traveling with buddies that pay their own way is not so easy. That needs improvement. If it were possible, I would have booked everyone in my party using different credit cards.

2. After signing in, I did a dry run to get some comparison prices. When I signed in a second time a few minutes later, I noticed that "The Works" bundle price changed from $86 to $68 along with a message that the price was only good "Now". I signed back in several times and always got the lower $68 price. (YES LOWER.) However, when when my buddy signed up for a new account and booked his travel about 1 hour later the price for the same bundle went up from $68 to $83.00. Frontier should keep their pricing consistent. This got me thinking and I played around with different flight times, I found that this bundle price does change. It almost appears to me that as the flight cost goes down, the bundle costs go up. I feel this is shamefully and deceivingly tricky on Frontier's part. Because of this I am sharing a my trick that saved me $62 on this flight and could save you even more. See below.

Summary. I am so used to seeing trickery in airline sites. They are almost as creative as some wireless companies in coming up with fees and new things to charge consumers for. Will they ever learn simplicity (think Apple) wins out in the long run! (look at Apple, T-Mobile, etc). Because Frontier surprised me with changing their bundling fee (albeit to a lower amount), and did not give my friend the same discount, I am sharing my tip on saving a few dollars. This saved me $62 on my trip. This may not sound like much, but it's a dinner at a decent restaurant!

Tip: When I booked with Frontier I noticed the promo code, but found none readily available online. I happen to use the "Honey" app extension with my Google Chrome browser. This extension detected the promo code at checkout and found me the best discount code to use. For me, it was "KAYAK". I hope you found my little review here helpful.

Original review: March 6, 2019

It is always clean and well stocked. Staff have been extremely friendly and helpful. Seat are comfortable. Usually can move seats if needed. I use extender and they are always available. They run on time and many times I get to where I am going early.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My biggest first step I have for you, is to go ahead and pay for the extra stretch seating. It's an extra $25 you will be so happy you did. There are many people saying you can take a gamble on the seating but I really would not do it. The planes are tightly squeezed and packed due to the great prices! I sat in seat 13A on both trips. It's window seating. I got a water and I carried some crackers in my purse with me because they only take credit cards or debit cards up in the air. They do not accept cash. The pilots were joking and friendly. I am usually terrified to fly but they put me at ease. I did not even have to say anything. Just go for it! Fly Frontier Airlines because they are caring and very prompt! Plane ride was smooth - hardly any turbulence and we were on time. Actually early. Do not let the bad review scare you away! Some people just expect too much from basic things!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Reality is flights do get cancelled - the social media feedback had scared me when my flight was cancelled but I had a good experience with the customer service of Frontier Airlines. It does take a little time and patience but if you follow the instructions given in the letter handed to you when your flight is cancelled the reimbursement is handled quite efficiently. The customer service was prompt and helpful and once the all documents (invoices, application etc) were furnished, they promptly processed the reimbursement.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

When looking for inexpensive flights from Philadelphia to Denver I came upon Frontier Airlines. The price was great so we bought 2 round trip tickets. Only after that did I read the reviews. It is because of other negative reviews that I felt compelled to write one of our experience. We would definitely fly with Frontier again. We did not experience any of the personnel issues that I read about. In fact, the attendant on our return flight was so exceptional that I wrote the airlines to recognize him. Yes, the regular seats aren't great but if you want the extra leg room upgrade your seat. I am 5'11" and had no problems. They do charge for food but face it, is the price of a bag of pretzels and a soda worth the difference you would pay for another airlines. We plan to fly Frontier again in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Airlines?

Original review: July 22, 2019

We paid insurance to protect us for any reason. Dealing with them back and forth and they don't cover **!!!! You want cheap airfares be ready to be ** if you buy the cancellation insurance. They can shove their ** up their **!!!!

Original review: July 20, 2019

My flight from SLC to Austin has been delayed for nearly 6 hours. No agent was present at the gate to address concerns, make necessary flight changes, or explain delays. Frontier has seriously disappointed in both delays and in their utter lack of customer service.

Original review: July 16, 2019

If you want to travel quadruple the amount of travel time and be constantly delayed with zero care for service this is your airline. It took our family 9 hours to get home when it should take 2. And the absolute worst part is how the staff have absolutely no care about their customers. What a disgrace this cheap, bottom dollar company is. I will never give this organization another dollar and will tell everyone I can how absolutely terrible they are. I’m going to log a review. Apparently I’m not the only one. The CEO should go online and see how his customers feel about his organization. Save your money and run! Fly Southwest!

Original review: July 14, 2019

My niece's mother died and I bought tickets for her to attend the funeral in Iowa. The flight was at 5 am. My grandfather and niece waited until 6 am at the gate. No one showed up at the gate, there was no announcement, and NO notice on Frontier's app that the flight had been cancelled. Finding a real person to talk to was difficult. They didn't have any other flights, so they offered to cancel the flight and refund, or reschedule on another day. I had no other choice but to cancel and book another airline for double the cost, because the flight was last minute. Customer service agent's helpful response was, "It isn't my fault". They gave us $50 vouchers for an airline I will NEVER book with. If I had gone with a more expensive airline when I first booked the tickets I would have saved $500.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I knew there were problems when I showed up to my gate at boarding time and the signs didn’t mention my destination and the flight ahead of us still hadn’t boarded yet. Frontier’s website as well as the flight boards indicated we were still leaving on time when the desk attendant assured us that our plane was 20 minutes behind schedule. Not 10 minutes later he gets on the intercom and says that plane isn’t coming anymore and now it’s going to be 5 hours until our next flight. I park a seat at the bar and start my wait while Frontier pushes our departure even further about every hour. Such is life, right?

Well finally we’re able to board 7 hours later and we’re all on the plane. Finally headed to our destination. I pop my headphones in and watch an entire 30 minute Netflix show with the overhead bins still unlatched and open, no updates from the cockpit. Someone jumps on the intercom 5 minutes later to tell us we haven’t located a captain for our flight yet. We sit in the plane another 30 minutes just for them to tell us that the flight is cancelled and we need to go home. NEVER. I repeat. NEVER BOOK A FLIGHT WITH THIS TRASH COMPANY. On our way out the employees were more interested in feeling sorry for themselves having to deal with our logistics than trying to actually help. I will rent a car and drive across the country before I deal with this company again.

Frontier Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1994, Frontier Airlines now launches more than 375 flights each day to destinations throughout the U.S., Mexico and Jamaica. Today, this relatively new airline employs more than 3,000 aviation professionals.

• Get the works: Frontier Airlines offers a package price that includes services such as refund-ability, free change service, priority boarding, extra carry-on and checked bag allowance and more.

• Exclusive discounts on fares: Travelers who join the Frontier Airlines Discount Den get access to low-rate fares only available to members. Members can book flights for up to six people on the same subscription.

• Manage flights online: Through the Frontier website, travelers can check in, book flights, make changes and check on the status of their flights.

• Economy-plus options: Get the same low fares on economy-class seating but nab an extra 5 to 7 inches of legroom with stretch-seat options. A small additional fee gives passengers that little bit of extra space.

• Choose your seat: Many airlines have moved away from assigned seating, but on Frontier passengers can select a seat that lets groups stay together in the air.

• Best for: Vacationers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers who want extra room and more control over their experience.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Frontier Airlines Company Information