Frontier Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

DON'T FLY FRONTIER!!! The very worst airline experience in all my years of booking or flying bar none. Booked a flight by phone with Frontier to accommodate Frontier's policy concerning a minor flying on their airline. Booking went smooth enough via the phone. I gave complete information of a 12 year old flying from K.C. to Salt Lake on the 29th of November. I booked the flight on the 11th. Arrived 2 hours early and tried to use the automated terminal to print the ticket. The terminal was not working so I stood in the line to meet with a representative to print the ticket. They too were having problems printing the connecting flight in Denver.

A supervisor named Linda with a disposition of being annoyed by another employee asking for help came to assist. She told me that an unaccompanied minor would have a charge of 110.00 dollars in addition to the air fare which I agreed to pay. Then she stated in I would have to pay $220.00 because of the connecting flight. I once again agreed to pay the additional amount. Then she proceeded to tell me that Frontier's minor policy for flying would not allow the 12 year old to change flights in Denver even if I paid the 220.00 dollars for care for a minor. Her tone was rude with statements such as "She is not getting on this flight". "Who did you talk to," referring to reservations etc. "That's not our policy," referring to what reservations had told me and refused to listen to what I was told.

Reservations stated similar policy but stated that if I could arrange for the minor to have someone in Denver to meet her she could then take the flight to Salt Lake City. So I did exactly that and contacted my brother who lives in Denver to pick her up and then make sure she made the flight out later in the day. The reservation took all the information for who was meeting her and assisting. Name, address, phone, email, etc and all was good until we tried to fly Frontier from Kansas City and the unprofessional Linda employed by Frontier. She has to rate very high on the scale of very poor customer service. Linda acted and succeeded in her effort to not let this minor fly. 4 times she called on the phone with statements towards someone on the other end. "She can't fly, can she," and eventually she made it happen.

Never offered a solution or an apology for Frontier booking the flight and inconvenience of living 200 miles from K.C, my brother, and family in Salt Lake. Logic is not in consideration with Frontier. I could have had this 12 year old fly into Denver, stay over night, then have her take a flight to Salt Lake the next day without issue because it is not considered a connecting flight. Makes absolutely no real logical sense and having a rude Linda who has no skills tell you after all this planning and driving "She's not getting on this flight" is the worst experience of all time. The story ends by going over to Southwest booking a flight thru Denver and getting the 12 year old to Salt Lake. DON'T FLY FRONTIER.

Frontier Airlines email response to my lost luggage – we were offered $25 each for my partner and myself only to have it withdrawn. The following is the email back and forth: “We sincerely apologize for the delay. As a customer service gesture, we would be happy to offer you a $25 electronic travel voucher for future travel on Frontier Airlines. Please let us know if you would like to accept.” From me: “$25 a head compensation - we will take that!!” From Kelly-Frontier: “We will be unable to compensate any further.” What sort of customer service is that??? How does the CEO allow this??

I booked in advance for Thanksgiving and my price (F91282 DENORD Conf **) was $29 and return flight (F91281 ORDDEN Conf ** was $6). So total round trip fare of $35 with "fees" of $74:20. When I checked in online, I found I was required to pay for my seat and also for a checked bag. I was given an option of a package deal for everything for $60. I decided, since it was only $15 more than the baggage fee, I would pay this. When I went to reload the page, the price went up by $11 to $71 so I decided just to pay for the baggage.

On the day of travel, the steering of my car failed and I was not able to get to the airport on time. I called Frontier four hours ahead of time to advise them of this, and to find out if there was a later flight where I could stand by. I was told that my choices were I could stand by on the same day for no cost, or if I would prefer for a fee of $99 I had an option to confirm my seat. I elected to wait and stand by at no cost. I presumed that there were several flights that day but I was advised that to take this no cost option I had to wait 13 hours and arrive around midnight as there was only one flight. During the day my friends called me and offered to buy me a flight on another airline so I could arrive earlier.

When I checked in, one agent was not aware of my flight. She passed me over to another agent. He told me that stand by for me was not an option, and the only way I could get on the flight was to pay $99. I was furious as I was following Frontier's direction. The agent told me he did not have the option to "override" this $99 fee and took around 30 minutes to process my check in. He disappeared to speak to his manager. In the meantime another agent came and explained to me that if I wanted to get on the flight, I should pay the $99 and then get it back from Frontier Air. I decided to do this. Just as she was going to hit the button to process the payment the manager came and advised me that this was no longer an option for me, (not exactly sure why) and I would now have to purchase and entire new ticket at $135.

She was sympathetic and explained that the computer did not permit her to override so my only option was to pay and collect back. She also explained that had I paid the all inclusive $60 (which went up in price as I watched) then I would have been entitled to stand by and a confirmed seat for no additional charge. I am sending this to Frontier Air and I will post back if and when they provide me the promised refund. My experience was horrific and enough for me never to fly Frontier again. We'll see what they will do to fix it.

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!!! Very UNPROFESSIONAL Service!!! Booked flight with Frontier Airlines from Philadelphia PA to Tampa FL. The check-in attendant was very unhelpful. When checking in she informed me I would not make my flight in time since Frontier closes their doors 15 before departing and did not give any other assistance to try and get me promptly to the terminal since I had 35 minutes til "departure". She then handed me a "feedback slip" said "call this number to change your flight..." No further information or help was provided and when asked to speak to someone or if someone can help change my flight she just said to call the number again. This is very unprofessional and the attendant did not seem to care much and made me feel like my business is unwanted. Think twice before flying Frontier!!!

6 months ago, I booked a flight for my son, who is active duty military. We know from experience, that you it's important to go through the airlines themselves and not the online brokers. His leave was approved for a Thursday evening, and he lives 40 miles from the airport. I booked him a flight 3.5 hours after he was released. A few days before his leave was scheduled, his commanding officer told him he needed to work an additional day, so I called Frontier ($10 to talk to a person, who does not speak clear English) and changed his ticket to the following evening ($99 change fee).

My son does not have a computer and was unable to print a paper boarding pass. He checked in on his phone, but when he arrived at the airport, they were insisting on a paper boarding pass. Because he was late getting released, he arrived 56 minutes before the flight left. He had NO checked luggage, so he didn't think it was a big deal. They told him he was too late. He could not get on the plane. He had a friend getting married the next afternoon, and he really wanted to be on that flight. They couldn't get him on until 24 hours later, which would get him home after the wedding was over. There was NOTHING Frontier could or would do to help. Nothing.

I ended up buying him a ticket on another airline to get him home on time. I asked if we could save his credit on Frontier and they said yes. I just called tonight to use the credit (it's been 4 months) and they said that it expired. I've paid them $451.28 and gotten NOTHING out of it. NOTHING. Not even a pack of peanuts. They said the credit needed to be used within 90 days. The problem is, with active duty military, they can't just take leave whenever they want. They have to take it when they are allowed. Frontier would not transfer the credit to another person (I'd be happy to use it), nor will they refund the money or help me purchase another ticket with it.

Every time I call in, it's hard to find their phone number (they bury it on a back page so you don't call and threaten that it's cheaper to settle all of your issues online, you will be charged to call!), then I have to go through lots of menus that don't apply to my situation before I'm finally able to speak to a representative whose English is very broken. Not only are they difficult to understand, but they don't care about the US Military, have any respect for our military personnel or their families.

Now that it's been over 90 days since he was supposed to travel, I've been informed that I am simply too late. I am welcome to fill out the website complaint form, but the manager to whom I spoke refused to let me speak to his superior. I'm so extremely disappointed, disgusted, sad, and confused why they would have no system to deliver good customer service. It will take a miracle from them for me to be persuaded to ever fly with them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Airlines?

I would absolutely recommend this airline. It is definitely the more cost effective. I flew with my husband and two kids (4yr and 14 mo). We drove (3hrs) from Buffalo Area to Cleveland and it saved us $1000 even with gas and parking for a week. We spent $850 for three seats and that included seat assignments, 2 checked bags. We were able to bring two diaper bags for free. Two strollers checked at the gate for free. Two car seats for free. Plus they did not make us board first. I was the parent who wanted to get on last as we already had our seats. I wanted the kids to have freedom until most of the passengers were on.

Less time stuck in a seat the better. We got free small snacks (pretzels, cookies etc) and I would rather buy a couple bottles of water or whatever once through security than pay triple to have a can of pop on the flight. I am in the process of booking with them again. It is an affordable way to take my kids across the country to see my sick grandfather as often as our schedule allows.

This is a no frills, charge you for everything kind of airline. You get what you pay for. I can live with that. Worse... When leaving Orlando on the 21st we had a maintenance issue and ended up waiting for over 4 hours before we got another airplane. NOW... We are sitting on the tarmac at LAS with another maintenance issue. UGH!!!

I used to fly Frontier a lot. Between myself and my family, we have easily spent 20k dollars the past year or so. My wife and we're traveling with a baby that isn't quite 2 yet. I've flown with them with just small issues. The nickel and diming is the worst though. We got to the desk and checked our luggage. The male clerk went over the itinerary and looked at Preston, the baby, and even stated he's obviously under 2. We then spent the next 2 hours waiting to board. When I got up there the check in, the lady at the gate, whom I've seen many times before and never smiles or says thank you. She looks like a miserable person.

She asked for my baby’s birth certificate or drivers license. Yes, she asked a 18mo old for a driver's license. I told her he couldn't reach the brakes and was denied a license, lol. My wife got upset, rightly so and angrily put the bottle in the baby’s bag. As I was trying to reason with them telling them that this issue should have been brought up at the desk when we checked in. The agent at the desk even stated that our baby is obviously under 2. Had they asked me for verification then, we could have had our daughter email us the info but the plane was 20 minutes until take off.

This travel day was Thanksgiving and had family waiting for us. The sour gate agent said we couldn't board and we're calling the police, no kidding. I said, “Try and stop me.” I then found a TSA agent and SLC airport police officer and they were awesome. When they learned the facts, they told us they were going to issue a false police report on the agent. All the TSA and police said that Frontier gets about 5x more complaints than all other airlines combined. Delta heard what was happening and rushed us over to their desks and got us on one of their flights cheaper than Frontier. Delta was awesome, to say the least. Frontier needs to learn a lesson from them. Please don't fly Frontier. You'll only have a terrible flight and horrible customer service.

I canceled my den deals account and tore up my Frontier credit card and got a Delta Sky Miles Amex. I think I'm going to love Delta. Frontier is the worst. They are a accident waiting to happen. I hope travelers are safe but if they treat the planes like they do their customers it's only a matter of time before something bad happens. Kudos to Delta. Frontier I'm sure will be out of business soon.

I booked a round trip flight from Minneapolis to Cancun. It was advertised as "one stop" in Denver on the way there and way back. What it really meant was that I actually have 4 different flights in the trip. Minneapolis to Denver, Denver to Cancun, then from Cancun to Denver and Denver to Minneapolis. That means I have to pay 4 bag fees for one bag! I am checking one bag and the total will be $120 for the trip simply because they split the trip into 4 separate flights. This is so deceitful. They shouldn't advertise a flight from Minneapolis to Cancun but then actually make you pay for one flight to Denver and another to Cancun and so on. Beware; unless you have a direct flight, you will be paying extra fees for bags on top of the norm. Never again will I use this airline.

Hello, this will be the last time I fly Frontier Airline. I departed 11/17 from Orlando, FL International Airport at 10:45 am. The clerk at the check-in counter was completely horrible. I asked for her full name, she just gave me her first name, Maria (she's Hispanic). She wasn't welcoming at all. When I said good-morning she didn't respond. She was unfriendly and unkind. We were charged $90.00 for 2 take-on luggage which we weren't aware of. All she said is we should have checked the website. We have a 4 yr old child and brought a car-seat with us on our trip. When we asked for plastic wrapping to wrap it, she told us she didn't have any and left it at that. She made no attempt to rectify the issue at hand. She was completely unhelpful to us. Neither me nor my wife will fly Frontier ever again.

I fly to Florida at least twice a year. And have been doing so for the last ten years. I usually fly Delta and have never had a problem. Flew down this time on AA and had no issues. Coming back on Frontier I didn't even get on the plane. I haven't paid for a checked bag in years, and I know the usual fee is $25 dollars for your first bag. However I was shocked I was being charged $40 per bag. Then the individual in front of me tells me we are going to hate the seats. Great. A plane flight that is going to take almost 5 hours and should take no more than 3-4. More on that in a minute.

My wife and I get to the terminal and find out that we're going to also be charged another $60 per carry on bag at the gate. They allow only one carry on that fits under the seat in front of you. If it has to go in an overhead bin you're charged. According to my email correspondence with Frontier on this issue. I then started to look at reviews online and found them to be horrible. Also seeing that there is no wifi unless you want to pay for it as well as no television or movies on an almost 5 hour flight so we were told. Along with being charged for snacks. Granted with the other airlines all you get is a glass of pop and peanuts or pretzels, but it is something. Frontier calls it customizing your flight experience. I call it a headache.

Back to my carry ons. I have one bag that has expensive camera equipment, that will never get checked. Another bag I carry has snacks and incidentals should my bags get delayed. I have never had an issue with this until Frontier. Most women carry a purse. If you fly Frontier and have anything more than your purse that is a carry on fee. And they hit you at the gate as you're boarding and don't have much of a choice.

I then went back to the ticket counter and asked to have my bags back while my wife booked a flight back home thru Delta. Their attitude towards me was different than it was earlier at the counter. I don't think they expected me to drop my flight and go with a competitor. However while standing there in line there were multiple travelers that weren't happy with Frontier.

Having flown to Florida often, I know that it is around a 4.25 to a 4.5 hour flight from SLC. Thru Frontier my flight was almost 5 hours and that was just to get to Denver. And yet they tell me that customer safety is their number one priority. Do they not know what happens when a plane flies too slow? Do they not recall a SkyWest flight on April 23, 2015? My first and last experience with this airline.

Frontier Airlines says their flights are kept low by not offering amenities. But really why not raise the flight $5 and give everyone a pop and a cookie. The seats don't recline, no room in overhead compartments, you can't cross your legs and was like a row of old lawn furniture. Their fold down tray won't even hold a book. In fact most napkins are bigger. The staff was polite but the flight seems like something from the 1930s.

The customer service with this airline is dismal. Once they have your money they do not care about you whatsoever and its almost impossible to get any of your money back. They will nickel and dime to death. They charge "fees" for literally everything. Will never use this airline again.

I recently booked a round trip flight from NY to ATL. On the return trip, I got to the airport an hour before departure, which I think was reasonable. I was told by the booking agent that I need to pay $40 for the carry-on luggage I had. Which I didn't mind, I gave her a $100 dollar bill and she refused to take the money, saying she does not have change for a $100 bill. And she wasn't going to book me for the flight until I pay for the luggage. By the time I came back from looking for change for a $100 bill, she said the counter was closed and I cannot board the flight.

She said the only available flight was for Sunday which was not acceptable since she was the reason for why I missed the flight. Furthermore, she booked my flight for Sunday without informing me about it. I called the customer care unit to voice my grievances and they said there is nothing they can do not even a refund. I wonder how this airlines are being regulated, because they are conning people out of their money and also rendering appalling services. Now I have to book another airline for times two of what I paid. Still, my money is still in limbo. I deserve compensations from Frontier Airlines and an apology for the trauma they have caused me.

Bought tickets to go to Punta Cana 2 months ago and found out I'm pregnant a week ago. Reached out to Frontier to cancel my trip due to my doctor's recommendation not to go because of the Zika Virus. Frontier didn't refund even though my trip is not for another 2 weeks. They can very well sell those tickets. Instead they gave me a credit and it's not even for the full price I paid. Additionally, the credit they gave me needs to used within 90 days. I only have 90 days to fly somewhere. Never using this airline again.

This is seriously a great airline. Newer planes and unbeatable low fares. I've flown Frontier several times from Orlando to St. Louis and have only had great experiences. Yes, you have to pay for checked bags or carry-ons, but still far cheaper than the competition. If you want to pay 4x the airfare for a free cup of soda and 11 degrees of seat recline, then be my guest. Someone's gotta dump money into the other airlines and keep them in business. I will continue flying Frontier and enjoy the savings.

Tried to make changes to a flight and they wanted to charge me more than the flight is even worth. Customer service was horrible, even the manager. They do not care even 1% about their customers. I would rather pay 3x the amount of money to avoid dealing with these people. I learned my lesson the hard way. Don't make the same mistake I did.

First time flying on Frontier, although I've read and heard bad reviews. The ticket rate was great, was not too excited about the luggage and snack fees, since I'm use to Flying Southwest Airlines. I will travel on Frontier again, but probably for flights two hours or less. I got what I paid for but most importantly I arrived safely and on time!

On flight 402, 9:30 a.m. from L.A. to DEN, (first time in Frontier), the clerk charged me $40.00. He says because the wheels of my carry on exceeded from that measure of yours, for me that was outrageous. When we come back flying Delta they don't even say a word. I won't flight Frontier again. That's for sure.

Recently my husband and I were looking for a reasonable price for a flight to Denver Co. The prices with Frontier were much more reasonable than other airlines but the reviews were very disturbing. We made the decision to go with Frontier and give it a try. This was a very wise decision. What people are complaining about I have no idea! The crew could not have been any nicer. The comfort of the plane was equal to any other airline we have ever used. The flight could not have been any better. The only problem we did encounter was on our return trip our luggage did not arrive with us. This happens on any airline. We did the necessary paperwork and within two hours we received a call telling us that our luggage would be delivered to us that same day. We live a round trip of four hours from the airport but as promised our luggage was delivered to our front door! So thank you Frontier for everything!

Frontier Airlines has very deceitful advertising. I booked a flight from Phoenix to Omaha via Denver and after I paid I noticed there was a 13 hour layover in Denver. There was no indication that there was such a long layover, yes it's my fault for not looking at the flight times with a microscope but that flight should not have been presented in the first place. The timing made it look like there as only a 2 hour layover. I called to see if I could get the flight canceled and refunded. Of course no flexibility whatsoever. The foreign call center also has a language barrier. We will NEVER use Frontier again and I recommend everyone to not use them.

Have flown Frontier many times in the past and I know it's a, "you get what you pay for deal". With their nickel and dime you to death, after an initial low ticket fare strategy. But they have changed their seating in some of, or all their planes (air bus to Vegas recently) and it was like sitting in a wooden chair for 4 hours. Absolutely the worst/most uncomfortable flights ever. My advise spend more money with another airline with decent padded seats.

They are a total bait and switch airline. They offer decent fares and hide the fact that they charge for everything! You want a carry-on, $30 each way. You want to sit with your spouse, $18 each way. THEY change your flight? $99 to cancel.

I have flown Frontier Airlines probably 8 times in the last year. Besides being at the most horrible and the farthest terminal at Atlanta airport, I love the online deals they offer and I have always had a great flight with them. I have actually flown with the same stewardesses on 2 different flights and they are amazing. Recently, I flew to L.A. from Atlanta and a passenger had a medical emergency. We DID end up having to stop in Phoenix due to this but the crew and the pilots responded wonderful; I was impressed. I will certainly continue to fly with them. For those who are complaining about bag costs, etc, etc...get over it! You are not paying 4 times amount on Delta and just sign up for Discount Den or the works. They cover everything and give you the value price you're looking for to fly.

When I approached the desk, Scott **, one of the supposedly managers at Frontier Airlines, checked us in. He ran my card three times for two bags and I asked for a refund and he said he couldn't refund me, and was very rude about it as well. He was so rude and I asked to speak with a manager and he wouldn't let me, he kept saying he was the manager. I also asked for his full name and he was unwilling to give me any information. The full name is already on his badge, so there was no reason for him to covered up his ID and hide it from us, while at the same time, he's also making rude comments to me and my boyfriend.

He was very unhelpful and unwilling to credit me back a bag that we didn't even have. He kept saying "it was already processed and we cannot refund you!" We have never had such rude customer service in all of my life that I have been flying, considering that we always fly with Southwest or Alaskan Airlines which are excellent airlines!

Well let's start with timing the airline was on time. We departed flight was smooth arrived 30 minutes earlier. Don't know why everyone is so negative about this airline I had no problem going and coming back. The cabin stewards were very polite. People complain about everything I read about the luggage sizes and prices was aware of their policies. The seats were not bad/I bought my snacks from home so I did not have to buy on the plane. I will fly frontier again. The price was good and also direct with gaining half hour both times.

Flight from Orlando to Pit Oct. 22, 2016 - Said we were late for our flight and denied us to board. Though I told them we were in line waiting and my 84 year old needed to get home because she was out of meds. Told that is my problem. Completely rude and uncaring. Cost 380 dollars to get home. Will not return my money paid for their tickets because I did not cancel?? Why would I cancel a flight I could not get on?? Told it was 43 minutes when I got to check-in. Stood in line for 20 min. Please if anyone would like to do a class action suit contact me. Thanks.

Flight attendant charged me a additional $50 fee to relocate seats and didn't charge other passengers that relocated. Flight attendant could not provide me with a receipt after I paid the additional charge.

Our flight from Orlando after Disney World via Frontier Airlines was horrible. The flight attendants had poor communication and was just plain rude to my family. My two children got balloons at Disney World today and I've never seen anything that says no balloons on planes. Not one word was said to use at check in, security, or even during boarding about having to deflate the balloons. Then after sitting down for a while the flight attendant told us we needed to deflate the balloons. For a child with mild Autism this was not a pleasant surprise and even if he didn't have Autism why didn't anyone tell us before that moment. We will never fly Frontier again. I could not get the balloons deflated because they were tied so tight so I asked the flight attendant to help. He went to find some scissors.

In the meantime another flight attendant came back and told me that the captain told him to come back and confiscate our balloons that they had to be removed from the airplane. I explained to him that I've tried to deflate them but could not get the knot out and the other flight attendant was supposed to be helping. I also explained that before they assume I'm being not compliant and confiscate my children's balloons maybe they should communicate with their own staff a little better. Frontier Airlines was horrible in my children's and my eyes today and totally ruined the end of our vacation with their rudeness toward our family. The balloons were in a row that only our family members were in so they weren't in anyone's way. I'm very disappointed in the way Frontier Airlines handled this situation. I wouldn't recommend Frontier Airlines to anyone with children.

I booked a flight for my 6 year old daughter and I on Friday 10/21 to surprise my family on Thanksgiving in Florida. Today, 10/28, I was asked by my daughter's grandma if she would mind if I cancelled her flight and let her take her down sooner. I told her I would look into the refund/cancellation information. I called right away and spoke with someone who specifically told me all but the $99 cancellation fee would be REFUNDED, not credited. REFUNDED! I told her thank you and ended the conversation as I had to figure things out with travel arrangements still. After speaking with my daughter's grandmother, I called back to cancel just my daughter's flight, I didn't ask any questions as I had spoke to someone about the ins and outs earlier, after the male processed my request he advised me I will be CREDITED to the airline and that the only person who could use the credit was my 6 year old daughter and the trip would have to be booked within 90 days!!!

After explaining to him over and over I was told an hour prior I would receive a refund, he refused to listen to me so I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. She was extremely rude and refused to reason with me, even though the website also states REFUND not credit after 7 days or more after booking. I asked her time and time again to transfer me to her supervisor and she refused over and over! Not only are they crooks they have no customer concern or care in the world! I will never recommend or travel this airline!!!

Expert Review

Erika ArmstrongAirlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.    More about Erika→

Founded in 1994, Frontier Airlines now launches more than 375 flights each day to destinations throughout the U.S., Mexico and Jamaica. Today, this relatively new airline employs more than 3,000 aviation professionals.

• Get the works: Frontier Airlines offers a package price that includes services such as refund-ability, free change service, priority boarding, extra carry-on and checked bag allowance and more.
  • Exclusive discounts on fares: Travelers who join the Frontier Airlines Discount Den get access to low-rate fares only available to members. Members can book flights for up to six people on the same subscription.
  • Manage flights online: Through the Frontier website, travelers can check in, book flights, make changes and check on the status of their flights.
  • Economy-plus options: Get the same low fares on economy-class seating but nab an extra 5 to 7 inches of legroom with stretch-seat options. A small additional fee gives passengers that little bit of extra space.
  • Choose your seat: Many airlines have moved away from assigned seating, but on Frontier passengers can select a seat that lets groups stay together in the air.
  • Best for Vacationers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers who want extra room and more control over their experience.

Compare Airlines