3.06/5
Based on 1,148 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Frontier Airlines

Looking for a travel site?

Frontier Airlines Reviews

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I have flown 3 times round trip, Portland to Austin, for less than $100 each time. I caught their 50 or 75% off sales, which was only good on nonstop flights. All my flights left late and arrived in Austin around 4:00 a.m. but who cares when it's so cheap? I still have my permanent residence in Texas, so I never took luggage either way. Nice not having to bother. It's a no frills type airline but for me to fly that far, nonstop for less than $50 each flight, I can put up with a little inconvenience for 3 1/2 hours. Definitely better than driving the 2500 miles!

I was late arriving for one of my Austin flights and the plane was taking off. I was told I could take the next available flight for $79. I should have looked to see what the next flight to Portland was before calling. I got back to Portland the next day after spending 10 hours in Denver and 2 other stops with long layovers. But, since I could only blame myself for missing my original flight, I didn't gripe. I get their emails and always check their sales. Flying inexpensively is much more fun than driving! They get you where you're going--just leave the whiners at home.

Original review: June 13, 2019

It's June 12, 2019, the first time I am booking with Frontier Airlines for a future trip from Philadelphia, PA to Orlando Fl, scheduled for November 2019. First, a couple of praises for Frontier because I feel they are trying to do some things right! Note that I am not a professional reviewer, nor am I being compensated in any way (other than some self satisfaction) for sharing my thoughts. I rarely write reviews but Frontier's website experience compelled me to write this one.

Finding Frontier. I found Frontier thru the Google Flights search. Google does a decent job of finding low rates. The last item in my review discusses a little more savings you might be able to get. You can jump there now if you want, but think of all the good stuff from my experience you will miss! What I needed. My requirements were to depart in the morning, between 7:30 and 10:30 am and return late in the afternoon after 4PM. I'm traveling with friends, and they asked me to find the flights! Many discount websites make it difficult to see all the airline schedules, and instead prioritize flights by price or specials they claim to have. I skipped going down that rabbit hole for now. For this review, I focus on Frontier Airlines.

Account Signup. I found Frontier's website to be mostly straightforward and easy to use, which compared to other airline websites, was a delightful surprise for me. Setting up an account was easy and automatically opted me into their frequent flyer miles program. The password requirements were a bit stiff to conform to, and there is no 2 factor authorization for login.

Flight Selection. Selecting a departing and returning flight was simple and straightforward. Like with some other airlines, you cannot easily get the lowest displayed price unless you are willing to fly during off hours. After choosing the return flight, the prices for each leg are averaged together and show up as exactly the same cost for each leg. Again, nice and simple because other airlines show one price for going and another for the return flight, making you constantly second guess your choices. Unlike American Airlines, selecting the flight does not result in an immediate up-sell to the "main cabin" for an additional cost. I appreciated Frontier's streamlined approach. In other words, I got the price I expected. I kept checking to see what I was missing!

Fees - That's what I missed! I don't know about you, but I hate fees, upgrades and options. I always opt to the bundle when possible. My life is too short for me to spend time figuring out these things. Just sell me a ticket, tell me what you think I should have, and let me be on my way. PLEASE make life simple! Some other airlines have various fees that drive me nuts! Things like first and second baggage fees, premium seat charges, carry-on baggage fees, cancellation or schedule change fees. I think American Airlines has lengthy policies written to explain their fees. Who has the time to read all that? Who can really understand all the moving parts that seem to take into account bag size, weight, season. Too much for my brain to compute! FRONTIER MADE IT SO EASY!

The Works Bundle. Frontier has two fee bundles. I chose "The Works"! So simple This bundle includes everything I could want or need. It cost me $68 each way. I figured without this bundle, I would have paid at least $100 for the same stuff. More importantly than the money saved, I saved time!!! My only "upgrade" came at the very end for a $10.95 insurance that is provided, billed by and paid to AIG (but automatically added to the total price) to cover some stuff like lost baggage, etc. Even the final invoice was simple:

The Negatives: I read a couple of reviews here on this site about how bad Frontier is as an airline and how bad their employees mistreat their customers. Shame on those Frontier's employees for their lack of empathy, sarcasm and inhuman behaviors. I figure the karma of "what goes around will come around" will take care of them, one way or another. And I am hoping for a more pleasant experience than some on this site have had.

I have a couple of negatives regarding the Frontier Website: 1. Frontier's online payment processing does not permit the use of multiple payment methods, so traveling with buddies that pay their own way is not so easy. That needs improvement. If it were possible, I would have booked everyone in my party using different credit cards.

2. After signing in, I did a dry run to get some comparison prices. When I signed in a second time a few minutes later, I noticed that "The Works" bundle price changed from $86 to $68 along with a message that the price was only good "Now". I signed back in several times and always got the lower $68 price. (YES LOWER.) However, when when my buddy signed up for a new account and booked his travel about 1 hour later the price for the same bundle went up from $68 to $83.00. Frontier should keep their pricing consistent. This got me thinking and I played around with different flight times, I found that this bundle price does change. It almost appears to me that as the flight cost goes down, the bundle costs go up. I feel this is shamefully and deceivingly tricky on Frontier's part. Because of this I am sharing a my trick that saved me $62 on this flight and could save you even more. See below.

Summary. I am so used to seeing trickery in airline sites. They are almost as creative as some wireless companies in coming up with fees and new things to charge consumers for. Will they ever learn simplicity (think Apple) wins out in the long run! (look at Apple, T-Mobile, etc). Because Frontier surprised me with changing their bundling fee (albeit to a lower amount), and did not give my friend the same discount, I am sharing my tip on saving a few dollars. This saved me $62 on my trip. This may not sound like much, but it's a dinner at a decent restaurant!

Tip: When I booked with Frontier I noticed the promo code, but found none readily available online. I happen to use the "Honey" app extension with my Google Chrome browser. This extension detected the promo code at checkout and found me the best discount code to use. For me, it was "KAYAK". I hope you found my little review here helpful.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My biggest first step I have for you, is to go ahead and pay for the extra stretch seating. It's an extra $25 you will be so happy you did. There are many people saying you can take a gamble on the seating but I really would not do it. The planes are tightly squeezed and packed due to the great prices! I sat in seat 13A on both trips. It's window seating. I got a water and I carried some crackers in my purse with me because they only take credit cards or debit cards up in the air. They do not accept cash. The pilots were joking and friendly. I am usually terrified to fly but they put me at ease. I did not even have to say anything. Just go for it! Fly Frontier Airlines because they are caring and very prompt! Plane ride was smooth - hardly any turbulence and we were on time. Actually early. Do not let the bad review scare you away! Some people just expect too much from basic things!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Reality is flights do get cancelled - the social media feedback had scared me when my flight was cancelled but I had a good experience with the customer service of Frontier Airlines. It does take a little time and patience but if you follow the instructions given in the letter handed to you when your flight is cancelled the reimbursement is handled quite efficiently. The customer service was prompt and helpful and once the all documents (invoices, application etc) were furnished, they promptly processed the reimbursement.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

When looking for inexpensive flights from Philadelphia to Denver I came upon Frontier Airlines. The price was great so we bought 2 round trip tickets. Only after that did I read the reviews. It is because of other negative reviews that I felt compelled to write one of our experience. We would definitely fly with Frontier again. We did not experience any of the personnel issues that I read about. In fact, the attendant on our return flight was so exceptional that I wrote the airlines to recognize him. Yes, the regular seats aren't great but if you want the extra leg room upgrade your seat. I am 5'11" and had no problems. They do charge for food but face it, is the price of a bag of pretzels and a soda worth the difference you would pay for another airlines. We plan to fly Frontier again in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Airlines?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Frontier is the worst airline I have ever flown in my life and I've been flying for 40 years. I had a ticket to fly from Green Bay to Denver after the Packers game last Sunday night and arrived at the airport 42 minutes prior to departure. However Frontier closes their their ticket counter 45 minutes prior to departure (with no exception apparently) and the ticket counter was abandoned. Their mobile app was also down so we could not get through security to contact anyone for assistance. When the staff finally returned to the ticket counter they showed no remorse, any desire to assist us, or even common courtesy. Because Frontier only flies three times a week into Green Bay, 10 of us were stuck there until Tuesday. You would think Frontier might at least try to assist us but no such thing. Instead the staff was belligerent and combative--and actually had the plane pull away from the jetway 7 minutes early instead of boarding us. It was surreal.

When one of the passengers asked for the names of the ticket counter staff to report them they even refused to give them - - fortunately they were wearing name tags! We eventually called the Frontier 800 number for assistance but no one answered, so instead called to their Spanish speaking number and a person did answer - in English! The decision of the staff there not to get us on the flight cost Frontier almost $2,000 in refunds--completely unnecessarily, especially since there were seats available and the flight was eventually held up by 45 minutes due to delays in Denver. I have flown Frontier several times in the last year, not by choice, but have never been on one of their flights without some sort of problem. Simply put, they are awful. I am telling everyone I know if they have any thought of flying on Frontier they need to think again. They are the worst care in the air.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

The woman at the ticket counter in Denver- Abryana- was extremely rude and unprofessional. There was confusion on our part as to what we purchased online for a checked bag. The ticket agent, Abryana, was extremely rude and demanding we pay or we get out of her line. The way she handled it was very demeaning to my family and I.

I understand that Policies and procedures are a necessary part of your operation. However, I expect your employees to apply these policies and procedures with the utmost courtesy and professionalism -- rudeness or unwillingness to assist a customer should not be tolerated by any customer! She really made our day unpleasant. I do have to say that every other frontier employee was extremely pleasant (especially in ABQ) -the flight staff was great and gate agents were very nice as well. It was just that HORRIBLE WOMAN ABRYANA AT THE DENVER TICKET COUNTER WHO SHOULD NOT BE WORKING IN CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Worst company of all time. I don't understand how they continue to treat customers the way they do and stay in business. I got stranded in an airport far from home for the second time on Sunday night. Frontier delayed my flight for 2 hours and then cancelled it, leaving every passenger at the airport without a place to stay or a way to get to their destination. No accommodations were provided, and the next flight was not for 48 hours. I missed a day of work and had to spend $400 for a place to stay and a flight home 24 hours later on a different airline.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

My wife was transporting our service dog to my daughter in Florida. We were required to pay 100.00 and crate even though we had all documentation. We kindly explained this dog since born has been trained and never crated. All this after Frontier cancelled our original Thursday night flight that caused us 250.00 in transportation travel. We will contacting an attorney in regards to this matter. Media News company has been called and will be taping and covering story tomorrow morning.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

***WORST AIRLINE EVER*** So I arrived at ATL Airport around 9AM on October 31,2019 only to receive notice prior to arriving that the flight was delayed. My original departure time was suppose to be 11:46AM arriving in Miami by 1:30PM. I get to the front desk and the attendant informs me the delay has been extended. New flight time 2:40PM arriving around 4:36PM. I just got home from overseas and were trying to surprise my boys Ages 2 and 1 at a birthday party that's ruined.

This Airline has no respect for people's time at all, my might as well not even have a ** schedule. They need to offer a partial refund or something. I usually fly Delta or American but thought I would give the little guy a chance. Never again worst mistake I could have made. I guess you get what you pay for. Please please save yourself the headache fly with a more reputable airline. This will definitely be my first and last time flying Frontier.

Frontier Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1994, Frontier Airlines now launches more than 375 flights each day to destinations throughout the U.S., Mexico and Jamaica. Today, this relatively new airline employs more than 3,000 aviation professionals.

• Get the works: Frontier Airlines offers a package price that includes services such as refund-ability, free change service, priority boarding, extra carry-on and checked bag allowance and more.

• Exclusive discounts on fares: Travelers who join the Frontier Airlines Discount Den get access to low-rate fares only available to members. Members can book flights for up to six people on the same subscription.

• Manage flights online: Through the Frontier website, travelers can check in, book flights, make changes and check on the status of their flights.

• Economy-plus options: Get the same low fares on economy-class seating but nab an extra 5 to 7 inches of legroom with stretch-seat options. A small additional fee gives passengers that little bit of extra space.

• Choose your seat: Many airlines have moved away from assigned seating, but on Frontier passengers can select a seat that lets groups stay together in the air.

• Best for: Vacationers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers who want extra room and more control over their experience.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
      Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Frontier Airlines Company Information