1.11/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1385 Frontier Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Frontier Airlines. We want our money back. We want refund as we cannot use your vouchers given to us cause we stay in India. We were made to wait inside the flight for 6 hours and later my flight was canceled. Kindly cancel my vouchers and refund my money.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Although the crew was very nice this is a terrible, low quality airline. The seats are absolutely horrible to sit in with no ability to recline. They are extremely uncomfortable which caused me severe back pain for the entire flight. There is also very little leg room, tiny tray tables, and they also charge for every snack and beverage except for tap water. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this pitiful, low budget, bottom of the barrel airline. I have no idea how they are staying in business but I will never use them again.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

If I could give zero or negative stars, I would. I can’t lie, I did have great customer service when flying out of the San Diego airport. The lady was great and helpful. Now I’m sitting in New Orleans, I just got back to the States from a cruise with my family and we came to the airport together from the ship. My family is flying Spirit and I am flying Frontier. My entire family was able to check their bags and I have to wait three hours until noon to check my bag when my boarding starts at 12:50 and my flight leaves at 1:36. I showed my military ID to an ** woman with red hair who claims to be the manager but I think she has an issue with military personnel and is doing what she can to give me a hard time. Online, the Frontier website says (just like every other airline) that you should be checking in at LEAST two hours prior to boarding. This is my first and last time flying with Frontier and I do not suggest, especially to military personnel, to ever fly with Frontier.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Missing Clothes and Colognes!! This is really unacceptable, we had A 30 hr delay because of canceled flights and there were no connecting flights for us until after we missed our important event for college recruiters that we were flying to meet before freshman check-in. And then we finally get to our destination on Friday morning!! After arriving to the airport on Wednesday evening out of ONT my luggage is lost! And we didn’t get it until that night! With plastic wrapped around it and to go through it, LATER THAT NIGHT at 11:50 pm and find that things were gone! (OVER $500) worth of merchandise. I made a call at 12:55 am on a 19 min call letting them know about the items, then to be told to keep the same BAGGAGE CLAIM # as a reference for my claim (LIE).

Called the day after to follow up. Of course that was the wrong department and to call this # ** ALESIA, BAGGAGE SPECIALIST AT THE CENTRAL BAGGAGE SERVICE. They leave you on hold for hours, then she says “we can offer you A VOUCHER FOR $100 or send me your phone records that show you called in the 24 hr period of your items missing.” I sent Alesia’s dept. My AT&T phone records several weeks later, Alesia says ”They didn’t get it”??? (Disrespectful). So, now it’s September, sent them again... Still waiting... October I called to be hold over 2 HRS! Finally, 50 mins later Alesia answers (they must have called I.D) and says “they denied my claim because I didn’t call them in 24 hrs” which was only the 25th HOUR!!!

I am still current waiting on the 48 hr call (11/9/2018) back that been 45 HRS AGAIN! I’ve been TOLD THIS SINCE AUGUST 8th. For the real kicker consumers there is a Facebook video with airline employee stealing out of someone's luggage... IMJ#proof #STOPSTEALING #IFEELDISRESPECTED #CONGRESS #LEGISLATURE #BOARDOFREGULATIONS. This was a terrible time ON OUR first journey to arrive ON OUR college experience. One Life, One Love.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

8/12/18 from Orlando to Cincinnati Flight 1961. Had a flight canceled in August from MCO to CVG. Was given a couple of options of another Frontier flight, none of worked with my situation. Booked with another airline using the website they provided me at the gate. Was told I would be reimbursed 400 pp in 5-7 business days. 6 phone calls and countless emails later I have yet to receive my refund. Lie after Lie after Lie. Was even told that a check was mailed with a check # provided. I was told to allow 14 days for it to arrive. After 14 days and no check, I called back. They stated they would cancel the check and mail another. With that being said, after 14 days even though the check was "canceled" it still should have arrived at my house by now, 22 days later. This story runs much deeper than this review. I am entering day number 86 of this situation. I'll never give this airline another dime.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Airlines?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

My flight got cancelled back in August due to mechanical issues. I was communicated via email of cancellation on way to airport, so I turned back. I got second email with apologies and with three options for making it right. I choose option one and never received my chosen option. I ended buying other tickets with other airline - of course more money due to short notice. Anyhow, it’s now November and still have not received my refund. After several calls to customer service and not getting nowhere but we are sorry! Lie after lie to only push blame to other departments thru their company on why I have not received my refund is frustrating. I have decided to cut my losses and never fly with this company again, yes it’s cheaper but not worth the headache or the $4.99 soda can!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Was told flight was on the ground could not move because of fog. Went to website... Flight was delayed 3 hours. Told me a lie... and their additional charges for bags... charged in Austin but not New Orleans for the same bag. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Charges and costs look good initially, but come into range of others with baggage up charges and fees. Worst part is the amazingly uncomfortable seating. Plastic seats on all flights I used recently with padded slipcovers. No reclining makes for really bad back experience for flight over an hour. Everyone around me was up and stretching out every hour or so. My wife was almost in tears by end of four hour flight. Crew was fairly indifferent too in attitude. Kinda surprising. Bring your own snacks and water too. Everything comes at an additional cost. Pay the few extra dollars and fly a quality airline. Your back and knees will thank you.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We were flying to Albuquerque from Orlando. When we were getting ready to take off, the plane had some unexpected mechanical issues. Our flight was delayed and ultimately canceled. We ended up having to purchase other plane tickets through another airline. I put in for a request to have the money we spent on extra plane tickets refunded by Frontier and after we talked back and forth for a little while, we worked out the issue and got a refund of the full amount. It was quick and prompt and we appreciate the extent of their service.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I find Frontier and their pricing model deceptive. Creating a terrible customer experience. Recently had a round trip flight from Denver to San Diego. United was our outbound carrier and Frontier was our returning carrier. The problem is Frontier's website makes it very difficult to add services like bags and then force you to pay a higher fee at the airport for running a credit card. Talk about sticking it to the customer. United site was very easy to navigate and know exactly what you are paying for and complete the transaction. Much better experience. Frontier is a ripoff I will only fly them in the future if I absolutely have to! Their flight ended up twice as much as United and an extremely bad experience from the website to the check in counter. They hide the fact that you don't have to pay for a seat on the site as well.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Continuous delays, poor communication and terrible customer service continue to plague this company. We’ve flown this airline quite a few times and have had too many issues to list in this message. We’ve been stranded in 2 different locations because the company cancelled the flight last minute and then essentially told the customers to figure out alternative options. Everything about the company is second rate — it’s worth the few extra dollars to fly with a real airline.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Frontier canceled my flight to Orlando just about 2 hours before departure. They did not even inform me of this cancellation and I learned it long after it was announced. I was given no assistance in rebooking by Frontier airport staff and told to help myself. This proved very stressful for me and my wife as other flights seats quickly vanished. I ended up purchasing 2 AA flights via Charlotte to Sarasota (and NOT Orlando!) and arrived to my destination at 2 am instead of 9 pm.

My wife has serious medical issues (scoliosis and chronic TMJ pain) and single non-stop flight was needed to minimize her pain. This 10-hour ordeal was extremely painful and stressful for her. In addition, I had to rebook a car rental for Sarasota instead of Orlando and my cost went up about $150. This airline should NOT be in business. Nonexistent customer service. They do NOT care about their customers!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Oct 9th I flew United from Spokane to Denver, to OKC. Oct 20th I flew Frontier OKC to Denver, then flight 541 to Spokane. Never flying Frontier again! Charged me 50 for my checked bag as well as 50 for my carry on!!! The lady was arguing with me when I wanted to lock my checked bag with my firearm in it. I had a TSA approved lock??? Another lady had to tell her it was a TSA approved lock. From OKC to Denver- Wouldn’t even attempt to get me an aisle seat when I requested one at the gate. I have a sore rotator cuff and can’t be squished in the middle or window seats. She wouldn’t even check her computer, just said, “we’re booked full!” I’ve never had a problem before in my 40 years of flying. And they tried to charge me another 50 for sitting in the aisles seat behind me when the doors were shut and I moved to the empty seat.

The delays and changing back and forth of the gate to fly out of Denver was ridiculous. We were supposed to leave at 5:35 but didn’t even begin boarding till about 7:40 and had another five minute wait at the entrance to the plane for some unknown reason. And they tried to charge me another 50 for sitting in the aisles seat behind me when the doors were shut and I moved to the empty seat. They charge for all drinks, I’m just glad they didn’t charge me for the water I had to ask for so I could wash down all the coffee grounds I had ingested from my coffee.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I'm going to make this real short, I've used Cheap Caribbean for many trips especially to the Dominican Republic. I recently booked a trip to Punta Cana and got a "GREAT DEAL", however to keep the cost down they used FRONTIER AIRLINES. Not knowing their reputation did not think twice. We showed up at the PHILADELPHIA FRONTIER DESK over an hour before the flight was boarding. There were three couples trying to board including my wife and myself. The clerk states that we are late and that we can board the plane however not our luggage and that it would get there three days later. Obviously this was not a viable option, so we asked for the supervisor.

The supervisor arrives about twenty minutes later, and said, "If my lead person says you're late that's it." I asked how late were and she said SIX MINUTES but then she let the one couple board with luggage because the clerk then told the supervisor that the one couple was not late, however we were all standing there together. I cannot believe I am even writing this right now, but I truly want people to know what a horrible experience we had. Needless to say we did not make our trip. One please be aware of the flights that you choose with Cheap Caribbean, it's well worth it to pay a little more for a peace of mind. Two NEVER USE FRONTIER AIRLINES.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Just 3 hours before our departing flight, I got a text saying our flight was delayed for 3 hours. When I was on the phone with customer service I got another text saying the flight was cancelled. Of course no other flights that day. They offered 3 solutions 1. Fly to Denver next day, stay the night and then fly to Orlando. 2. Fly to Orlando on Saturday or 3. Take a refund on the returning flight. Took refund, since we had to get home. Refund will take 7-10 days but we got a voucher for 100 (like we will ever use that). Frontier, huge disappointment. In the past when an airline cancelled my flight and if no other flight was available with them they would find another airline. Frontier, you should have refunded my entire ticket price and offered to pay a night in the hotel. BUT, I guess this is all my fault, I get what I pay for. Never again.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Planning a surprise trip home to visit family from RSW-PHL. Flight scheduled to depart at 9:09 Wednesday 10/17. Arrive to the airport at 7 pm to see frustrated customers at the Frontier desk. Turns out flight was cancelled with NO NOTIFICATION! The desk staff was very rude saying an email had been sent at 4:45 notifying of the cancellation. There was not a single person in that line that received any notification. We were able to get seats on a plane leaving today. My 8 year old was with me and keeps begging me to check status of flight today to make sure we are able to get to our destination. This is only the 2nd time flying Frontier but not happy with this experience at all!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

August 20th 2018. My Flight got canceled 1 hr before we are supposed to depart. Did not assist in any way to get us back home like any other airline would. Sent in my receipts and waited the 6 weeks for the reimbursement check to arrive. Did not arrive so I called again which is actually very difficult to get a hold of a damn representative. I was told I had to wait another two weeks for my check. I have already waited 8 weeks. Now I was told I could have to wait ANOTHER 4-6 and still have not gotten my check back from this worthless airline. There is ABSOLUTELY NO INTEGRITY, HONOR, OR RESPECT FOR THE CLIENTS. WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN or ever recommend anyone to this airline. They are a joke. COMPLETELY WORTHLESS.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

On July 24th 2018, while waiting for a departure to Chicago at the Cancun Airport Frontier Airlines canceled suddenly a flight due to "lack of crew", leaving all of us > 100 passengers, stranded at the airport. After a long time and debate what to do with all of us, Frontier representative provided us with a letter, in which they wrote, that if we purchase a ticket on another airline, the Frontier will reimburse for that ticket up to $400. My travel companion and I had a chance to purchase still available at that time tickets ($369.10 my ticket) with Southwest Airline, so we could get home.

Finally my travel companion received her check from Frontier a week ago, after a long "battle" with Frontier customer service representative, I am still waiting for mine. Meantime I am still exchanging emails with one of the Frontier representative name B., who admitted in one of emails, that Frontier sent a check to my travel companion, but on the other hands she is trying to find different reasons, why Frontier is not willing to reimburse me for that extra ticket I had to purchase, in order to return home, as Frontier promised in the contract letter provided us at the Cancun Airport. I have this letter for the further references. It is a nightmare.

I just would like to received that reimbursement and never again fly with Frontier.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Worst airline ever, we were doing a surprise trip prior to my daughter’s deployment to Disney. We sat in the terminal for 4.5 hours before they decided to cancel the flight. Our scheduled trip was from Wednesday - Sunday, the soonest Frontier could get us there was Saturday. We had to rebook 9 people with a different airline flight. We still had to pay the car rental, and hotel for that day. Two trips back and forth to the airport Wednesday, and back again Thursday. Of course we couldn’t get a flight out for $400 so we were stuck with the difference. We were late for the Halloween Disney event. Total loss for 9 people $2000, all I get was a sorry for the inconvenience. I would give 0 stars if it was possible.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My fiancé and I (over 65) walked into Denver International airport just yesterday (10/06/18) to a mob of almost 300 people waiting to have their baggage dropped off. When we finally reached around the corner where we could see the counter, there were quite a few stations that were void of workers. We then were told to go through security and once we did we were told by the ticket agent that we were to go to gate A78. We were almost there when some nice people said that the gate had been switched to A34. We had to double back where we came from.

When we finally arrived at the correct gate the plane was just boarding. Mind you we were at the airport 2 1/2 hours before the flight was to take off. The seats were horrible, very uncomfortable and felt like we were sitting on wood, no leg room. Finally arrived at our destination airport and then waited 40 minutes for the luggage carousel to even start. We will never, ever fly Frontier Airlines again, even if they gave the tickets away for free. Surprised they are still in business. Horrible airlines.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

We booked (2) seats on Frontier (1 for my pregnant daughter and her 1 yr old son) with her being overweight and pregnant we thought best option for the flight. After we processed online, a message came up. Our reservation was pending and we needed to contact customer service. We call the # only to be told that the 2 seats we booked and paid for on 10/1/18 were not available and that they needed to push us out to 10/3/18 and for an extra cost per seat. When my daughter confirmed they had already charged her card she started to explain to them that what they were doing sounded like a scam, getting people to pay online only to be told they needed to pay more money for another flight they didn't want.

The Customer Service Rep then changed her tone stating she didn't want an "unhappy" customer and was "working" with my daughter putting her on hold multiple times. The rep then came back and stated she could get her on the 10/1/18 flight but that she could give her one seat (having her son sit on her lap) for the same cost as the 2 seats she just paid for. My daughter then inquired about the policy on overweight people explaining she's a big person, again put on hold. The rep came back and said they have no policy for that. Needing to get to Boston that day my daughter agreed to take the flight but was highly upset that she paid for 2 seats and got talked down to one with no price reduction.

Upon traveling to airport my daughter went online to arrange for Assistance at check in being pregnant and traveling with a toddler, once inside she was told they did not have the staff to support that but offered her a wheelchair to get to her gate. Upon all the chaos my daughter's diaper bag with important docs inside was left at the checkpoint so we had to get this bag mailed to us. The only pleasant part of this transaction was the staff on the plane (that had PLENTY of empty seats). They did accommodate her with 2 seats for her and her child and were very helpful. This airline was a complete nightmare otherwise. I personally would never use them after seeing what she went thru. Total scam for sure.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Today I had very terrible experience in Trenton airport. The staffs were very rude and unprofessional. Flight departure time 3:39 pm and we arrived airport by 2:45 and stood in queue for 20 minutes. They responded very rudely that you are not allowed to board this flight and book another flight on some other day. Also they handed a customer care number to give any complaints about airlines or staff. I called the customer care number, he intentionally asking for more details about flight reservation and at end he gave me option to book another flight for high price. It is the worst airlines in the world.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Decided to try flying with Frontier Airlines for my first time and it will be my last time - if I ever get back home. Frontier flights were being delayed and cancelled left and right in the terminal. They were having people switch gates as well. Waiting 5 hours with delay after delay to say our flight was cancelled. No voucher offered, no hotel compensation, no apologies, no explanation at all, except to rebook our flight for the next day. Frontier had one person to try and respond to over 100 people with no supervisors to assist. This did not only happen to my flight, but was happening to the majority of Frontier Airlines flights in my terminal. The terminal started off with a few people and ended up with a terminal (overflow) of irate passengers. I was told I cannot get reimburse for my hotel stay after Frontier cancelled my flight. Very frustrating experience. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Charlotte to Philly, Friday 2:28 flight 1028, boarded the plane on time, Hooray. The incompetent jetway woman bumped the airplane door, barely. Pilot (captain) gets pissed off, deplanes all passengers and calls maintenance. They clear the plane, no problem, pilot delays reloading the plane for some unknown reason. We line up to board again, to leave only 2 hours late, not too bad for Frontier. Then the screen changes, said we aren't going to leave until 10 pm. (The screen never changed from 10pm BTW.) Why, because the idiot pilot wouldn't allow boarding, then the crew timed out. It actually gets worse. They say they are going to issue refunds, then meal vouchers. The same woman that caused the whole incident now prints meal vouchers for the wrong flight. This took almost an hour, because the printer ran out of paper. Then they had to reprint the vouchers, another half hour passes.

People are getting extremely angry, as we are getting emails from Frontier about the delays, vouchers, etc, but the counter women were saying nothing except, "I don't know." Get an email, now says leaving at 12 midnight, 9.5 hours LATE. I talked to customer service personally for almost an hour, all she could do was give me a refund. She said the next available flight on Frontier to Philly was 5 days away, October 3. Refused to re-book on another airline, offer an overnight stay, NOTHING. Then she said she would book on another airline, the next day, but refused to authorize a hotel accommodation. She said only the gate people could do that. Yes, still getting worse. Well guess what, there were no gate people, they took off for several hours while we sat there in total confusion and disbelief.

Several people were talking to customer service, and they kept saying to talk to the gate people, but they couldn't seem to understand the simple fact there were no gate people on site. When they do FINALLY show up, a near riot takes place. Your gate people are literally screaming at the passengers simply demanding a few answers. I'm sure this is on social media somewhere, because several people were videoing. Then a baggage handler comes out and basically threatens everyone that she will ask people who are "non-compliant" to leave, then she proceeds to call the police!!! 8 police show up and start screaming at everyone, mostly the passengers.

This too should be on social media. Then people from the airport show up, one of them was the "cot guy", who provides cots to customers stranded in the airport. WTF? We were under the impression that we were going to leave at midnight. Now mass confusion takes place, police are pissed, passengers are pissed, gate people are pissed. Finally, someone comes out of somewhere and said we are leaving at 11:45pm, now only 9 hours late! How on earth do you operate an airline? It's simply pitiful and inexcusable to be treated like this.

Finally boarded and left around midnight. The last straw was the flight crew actually had the unmitigated GAUL to ask if we wanted to purchase anything to eat or drink. 10 plus hours late and you want us to BUY something to eat or drink? Not even an offer for some free water. Don't take my word for it please. Feel free to contact any passenger who actually boarded the flight and ask them. Unbelievable!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

On my way to Salt Lake City from Albuquerque, both of my flights were delayed. This was only the beginning of my problems with This airline. On my way home was supposed to originally leave Saturday morning at 11:23 AM. Flight was delayed due to some reason unbeknownst to me. Because of this delay and I had a connection flight with the same airline, I would end up missing my connection flight. This airline wanted to do nothing to help me. They could not get me on another flight for a couple of days, but then only offered me a one night hotel stay. What was I supposed to do the other night, sleep on the streets because they had an issue? Then I decided to get a flight with another airline, because I actually did need to get home to get back to work.

Believe it or not my work life does not revolve around airlines having delays. So I get the other ticket, and was told they could not refund my ticket, even though the delay was their fault. So they won’t refund your money, can’t get you on a plane for a couple more days, and only give you a hotel for one night and leave you out with nowhere to stay for the other two? Maybe I’m crazy, but shouldn’t the company who is putting you out to be the ones who are inconvenienced and not the paying customer? So not only would I have been left with nowhere to stay, I also had to get a new airline, and ended up paying $231 out of pocket just so I could still get home on the day that I needed to. Because “they” have a delay.

This is the worst service I’ve ever received, and I will never ever fly this airline again, and I recommend that you don’t either, unless you would like a big headache and to be out of pocket - at the mercy of their ineffective policies, that protect them, while leaving those of us who are paying for a service are put out on the street and out of pocket to cover their inability to Perform. If I’m paying for a flight, and you have a delay, then you need to be the one that is inconvenience not me. That’s called customer service, and simple common sense. In the end, the manager at the customer service did refund my ticket for the one-way home. However because I had to buy a new ticket the same day, I was still out $231 of my own money regardless of the $150 refund that I was given. Huge inconvenience, not to mention the worst service I’ve ever received from an airline.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Our 12 hour horrible experience with Frontier flight 1620 began at 12:38 PM on 9-25-18 when we received the first of what would be 8 texts and email messages delaying our flight. Since we had a rental car, we had to make sure we would get back in time so as not to incur additional costs. This meant we would need to arrive four hours early to the airport - oh well, an inconvenience, but not the end of the world. After arriving at Orlando airport, the texts and emails alerts started. About every two hours, a new message would state another couple of hours of delay.

As we approached the Frontier ticket counter we were not alone. Several prospective passengers were questioning the attendants as to what the issue was. After several delay announcements, it was evident that the attendants were reciting their rehearsed script and stringing passengers on for that glimmer of hope that the flight would not be canceled - and this is what I found so upsetting. Not just our flight, but at least four others were going through the same ordeal, and not for one second do I believe that those frontline employees did not know that a cancellation was all but certain.

Traveling in our group was a diabetic, and a chemo/cancer patient - what other situations did the hundreds of other passengers have? Yet, no information on lodging was provided and of course no voucher offered. No meal voucher, not even an alternatives offered. Instead, you had a pregnant attendant trying her best to recite the corporate policies lies when it was obvious that she didn’t herself believe them. At one point she left the counter visibly shaken and went in a back room to take a break from it all.

It is indefensible that Frontier didn’t immediately recognize and then convey to its customers the truth. That would have allowed us to make other arrangements instead of stringing us along for hours of stress until the ultimate cancellation announcement at 12:56 AM - about 10 hours after we arrived at MCO airport. So the bottom line, you missed a great opportunity to help your customers during a bad situation by being honest at the beginning and trying to help. Instead, you offered no alternatives, no information, whatsoever, and in the end tried to appease us with a voucher that expires in 90 days - that itself is laughable! “Hey you know that hard earned vacation we get once a year, let’s ask for another in the next 90 days and give Frontier a second chance!” I’m sure the fact that very few could take advantage of those vouchers within 90 days was factored in during your policy creation.

It is inevitable that bad customer experiences will occur in any organization. What makes the difference is how those situations are managed and in this case, Frontier blew it. We searched, but found no other flights to our Cincinnati destination, so we ended up renting a vehicle and headed out for our 14 hour drive at 2:00 AM at an expense of over $400. Thankfully all of the supervisors from our employers were understanding of the additional missed day of work. Frontier made it possible to end a positively great Florida vacation on a positively horrible note.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have booked with Frontier for 3 flight legs. Of the 3, 2 flights have been cancelled. On the most recent cancellation, my brother and I booked tickets directly from the Frontier site from San Diego to New Orleans. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 11:30AM. Just prior to leaving to the airport, I received a notification that the flight was delayed 45 minutes. OK, no big deal... On our way to the airport, I received a second notification that it was now delayed until 2:00PM. An hour later, now delayed until 2:45PM. When we arrived at the airport, and given my previous cancelled Frontier flight, I spoke with the person who checked our bags. I asked if the inbound flight that we would take to New Orleans was actually going to get to San Diego. He said he believed so. I told him about my previous cancelled flight and he rattled off 3 stories about flights being cancelled due to co-pilots and attendants refusing to stay on the flight at layovers. Hmmm, not good.

Our airplane was scheduled to arrive from San Antonio and I started to track it to make sure that it actually left the ground. It left and was scheduled to arrive at 2:50PM. I figured if it was in the air, we would have our flight out, albeit 3.5 hours late. So the plane lands, everyone exits, and everyone is beginning to line up to board. We are standing there for about 15 minutes and they close the gate door. At 3:05PM an announcement is made that the flight was cancelled. The "crew timed out". What? If that is the case, they should have either rounded up replacements while the plane was in route or let us all know so we could make other arrangements.

My brother went to grab our luggage and I ran to Southwest to try and find a flight with them. We missed the cutoff for their last flight by 5 minutes. Brought up Kayak and looked across all airlines. Due to the late timing of the announcement, there were no alternate flights available to New Orleans. We had to be there by 6AM the following morning to catch a 7AM train. Now that was impossible. We cancelled our entire trip as we could not get to our end destination on time without spending at least $600 each for a one-way ticket to an alternate city. Unfortunately my brother lost the opportunity to go to his first Alabama football game experience, I lost hundreds of dollars in prepaid hotel rooms or hotel rooms that were beyond the cancellation window. Frontier refunded our fare and provided a $150 voucher to each of us. I will never fly Frontier again, not even using the voucher as I have no faith that I will ever make it to my destination.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

After canceling our flight, for unknown reasons, two hours after it was supposed to take off, it cost us $2,148.68 to stay the night and fly out the next day. We were reimbursed $1,600. Doesn't seem fair. I will pay $1,000 a piece for flights before I ever fly Frontier again.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Unintelligible announcer was replaced by a good one who announced my flight final call ten gate from where my boarding pass stated. I saw the door close as I approached and a woman is ahead of me screaming and cutting to be let in. Returned to Frontier's space looking for assistance and given a number which took no care for the nature of the issue Frontier's inept staff created. Staff say in front of me testing rather than helping. Then they tried to charge me $99 for a flight change saying all gate changes were announced without accounting for what actually took place.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

The first leg of the flight from Charlotte to Orange County was delayed over an hour. At first they said there would be a gate attendant at the other end to rebook, then that the same plane was going to OC so no problem. When we arrived, the connecting flight had left 10 minutes previously. The next flight was in 2 days time. I had to book a flight on another airline at full cost. Meanwhile my checked bag was wandering around the airport. I found it after about an hour. There was no customer service, no help, no suggestions. I understand that things happen, but then I expect some help and/or compensation.

Frontier Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1994, Frontier Airlines now launches more than 375 flights each day to destinations throughout the U.S., Mexico and Jamaica. Today, this relatively new airline employs more than 3,000 aviation professionals.

• Get the works: Frontier Airlines offers a package price that includes services such as refund-ability, free change service, priority boarding, extra carry-on and checked bag allowance and more.

• Exclusive discounts on fares: Travelers who join the Frontier Airlines Discount Den get access to low-rate fares only available to members. Members can book flights for up to six people on the same subscription.

• Manage flights online: Through the Frontier website, travelers can check in, book flights, make changes and check on the status of their flights.

• Economy-plus options: Get the same low fares on economy-class seating but nab an extra 5 to 7 inches of legroom with stretch-seat options. A small additional fee gives passengers that little bit of extra space.

• Choose your seat: Many airlines have moved away from assigned seating, but on Frontier passengers can select a seat that lets groups stay together in the air.

• Best for: Vacationers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers who want extra room and more control over their experience.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Frontier Airlines Company Information