2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.01/5
Based on 1,146 ratings submitted in the last year

Frontier Airlines Reviews

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I am actually a fan of Frontier. I've flown on several major airlines (American, Delta, United, Korean Air, China Airlines, Cathay Pacific etc etc) economy, premium economy and Business class several times. Ive been on Spirit but Frontier is definitely better for me. Really, don't expect to be treated like royalty on the plane, you're on it to get to where you are and that's it. It's baffling for me how the interior of the plane looks better than those ghetto airplanes of large carriers (AA, United).

I have yet to witness a flight delay. I find it funny that everytime I fly AA or United, IT'S ALWAYS DELAYED. If ever there is a delay due to weather or something regarding personnel, that's something you just can't predict. It's so funny when someone goes through an inconvenience when it's solely their fault since they don't read the fine print. I haven't interacted with anyone in customer service as I check in through my phone, get my boarding pass through the app and I pay for the carry on when I buy the ticket as I generally hate people so I try to make minimal contact.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I have flown 3 times round trip, Portland to Austin, for less than $100 each time. I caught their 50 or 75% off sales, which was only good on nonstop flights. All my flights left late and arrived in Austin around 4:00 a.m. but who cares when it's so cheap? I still have my permanent residence in Texas, so I never took luggage either way. Nice not having to bother. It's a no frills type airline but for me to fly that far, nonstop for less than $50 each flight, I can put up with a little inconvenience for 3 1/2 hours. Definitely better than driving the 2500 miles!

I was late arriving for one of my Austin flights and the plane was taking off. I was told I could take the next available flight for $79. I should have looked to see what the next flight to Portland was before calling. I got back to Portland the next day after spending 10 hours in Denver and 2 other stops with long layovers. But, since I could only blame myself for missing my original flight, I didn't gripe. I get their emails and always check their sales. Flying inexpensively is much more fun than driving! They get you where you're going--just leave the whiners at home.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2019

It's June 12, 2019, the first time I am booking with Frontier Airlines for a future trip from Philadelphia, PA to Orlando Fl, scheduled for November 2019. First, a couple of praises for Frontier because I feel they are trying to do some things right! Note that I am not a professional reviewer, nor am I being compensated in any way (other than some self satisfaction) for sharing my thoughts. I rarely write reviews but Frontier's website experience compelled me to write this one.

Finding Frontier. I found Frontier thru the Google Flights search. Google does a decent job of finding low rates. The last item in my review discusses a little more savings you might be able to get. You can jump there now if you want, but think of all the good stuff from my experience you will miss! What I needed. My requirements were to depart in the morning, between 7:30 and 10:30 am and return late in the afternoon after 4PM. I'm traveling with friends, and they asked me to find the flights! Many discount websites make it difficult to see all the airline schedules, and instead prioritize flights by price or specials they claim to have. I skipped going down that rabbit hole for now. For this review, I focus on Frontier Airlines.

Account Signup. I found Frontier's website to be mostly straightforward and easy to use, which compared to other airline websites, was a delightful surprise for me. Setting up an account was easy and automatically opted me into their frequent flyer miles program. The password requirements were a bit stiff to conform to, and there is no 2 factor authorization for login.

Flight Selection. Selecting a departing and returning flight was simple and straightforward. Like with some other airlines, you cannot easily get the lowest displayed price unless you are willing to fly during off hours. After choosing the return flight, the prices for each leg are averaged together and show up as exactly the same cost for each leg. Again, nice and simple because other airlines show one price for going and another for the return flight, making you constantly second guess your choices. Unlike American Airlines, selecting the flight does not result in an immediate up-sell to the "main cabin" for an additional cost. I appreciated Frontier's streamlined approach. In other words, I got the price I expected. I kept checking to see what I was missing!

Fees - That's what I missed! I don't know about you, but I hate fees, upgrades and options. I always opt to the bundle when possible. My life is too short for me to spend time figuring out these things. Just sell me a ticket, tell me what you think I should have, and let me be on my way. PLEASE make life simple! Some other airlines have various fees that drive me nuts! Things like first and second baggage fees, premium seat charges, carry-on baggage fees, cancellation or schedule change fees. I think American Airlines has lengthy policies written to explain their fees. Who has the time to read all that? Who can really understand all the moving parts that seem to take into account bag size, weight, season. Too much for my brain to compute! FRONTIER MADE IT SO EASY!

The Works Bundle. Frontier has two fee bundles. I chose "The Works"! So simple This bundle includes everything I could want or need. It cost me $68 each way. I figured without this bundle, I would have paid at least $100 for the same stuff. More importantly than the money saved, I saved time!!! My only "upgrade" came at the very end for a $10.95 insurance that is provided, billed by and paid to AIG (but automatically added to the total price) to cover some stuff like lost baggage, etc. Even the final invoice was simple:

The Negatives: I read a couple of reviews here on this site about how bad Frontier is as an airline and how bad their employees mistreat their customers. Shame on those Frontier's employees for their lack of empathy, sarcasm and inhuman behaviors. I figure the karma of "what goes around will come around" will take care of them, one way or another. And I am hoping for a more pleasant experience than some on this site have had.

I have a couple of negatives regarding the Frontier Website: 1. Frontier's online payment processing does not permit the use of multiple payment methods, so traveling with buddies that pay their own way is not so easy. That needs improvement. If it were possible, I would have booked everyone in my party using different credit cards.

2. After signing in, I did a dry run to get some comparison prices. When I signed in a second time a few minutes later, I noticed that "The Works" bundle price changed from $86 to $68 along with a message that the price was only good "Now". I signed back in several times and always got the lower $68 price. (YES LOWER.) However, when when my buddy signed up for a new account and booked his travel about 1 hour later the price for the same bundle went up from $68 to $83.00. Frontier should keep their pricing consistent. This got me thinking and I played around with different flight times, I found that this bundle price does change. It almost appears to me that as the flight cost goes down, the bundle costs go up. I feel this is shamefully and deceivingly tricky on Frontier's part. Because of this I am sharing a my trick that saved me $62 on this flight and could save you even more. See below.

Summary. I am so used to seeing trickery in airline sites. They are almost as creative as some wireless companies in coming up with fees and new things to charge consumers for. Will they ever learn simplicity (think Apple) wins out in the long run! (look at Apple, T-Mobile, etc). Because Frontier surprised me with changing their bundling fee (albeit to a lower amount), and did not give my friend the same discount, I am sharing my tip on saving a few dollars. This saved me $62 on my trip. This may not sound like much, but it's a dinner at a decent restaurant!

Tip: When I booked with Frontier I noticed the promo code, but found none readily available online. I happen to use the "Honey" app extension with my Google Chrome browser. This extension detected the promo code at checkout and found me the best discount code to use. For me, it was "KAYAK". I hope you found my little review here helpful.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My biggest first step I have for you, is to go ahead and pay for the extra stretch seating. It's an extra $25 you will be so happy you did. There are many people saying you can take a gamble on the seating but I really would not do it. The planes are tightly squeezed and packed due to the great prices! I sat in seat 13A on both trips. It's window seating. I got a water and I carried some crackers in my purse with me because they only take credit cards or debit cards up in the air. They do not accept cash. The pilots were joking and friendly. I am usually terrified to fly but they put me at ease. I did not even have to say anything. Just go for it! Fly Frontier Airlines because they are caring and very prompt! Plane ride was smooth - hardly any turbulence and we were on time. Actually early. Do not let the bad review scare you away! Some people just expect too much from basic things!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Reality is flights do get cancelled - the social media feedback had scared me when my flight was cancelled but I had a good experience with the customer service of Frontier Airlines. It does take a little time and patience but if you follow the instructions given in the letter handed to you when your flight is cancelled the reimbursement is handled quite efficiently. The customer service was prompt and helpful and once the all documents (invoices, application etc) were furnished, they promptly processed the reimbursement.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Like everyone, wanted to save money with a cheap fare but was only told about bag fees after purchase, bringing the overall cost closer to their competitors. Then the following happened:

1. After waiting at the gate printed on our boarding passes, a different destination than our own, but with the same departure time, was displayed at the Frontier gate 10 minutes before boarding. There was no one at the desk to answer questions.
          2.Oh, except for the 2 flight attendants sitting behind a glass partition and velvet ropes, right behind the gate desk. But they continued chatting and ignoring our “hello’s” like a couple of mean high schoolers.
          3. Suddenly, an attendant arrived, rolled his eyes at our questions, then proceeded to make the boarding announcement in a cartoon voice (to mock us I guess?). The signage still showed another destination and they didn't even acknowledge the discrepancy.
          4. While boarding (btw no entertainment, food or drink without paying), a different attendant sarcastically explained how to walk, sit, and use overhead cabinets and asked us to hurry up. Even though boarding was late due to their error because there was no one at the gate until boarding was supposed to begin. Many passengers flying were elderly or children.
          5. Mid-flight, while most were sleeping, the lights were abruptly turned on for a sales pitch for their company Mastercard (with annual fees) that would earn you miles so you could fly with this uncaring, outright dismissive, nickel and dime-ing airline again in the future. The presentation resembled one of those Time Share seminars you are forced to attend at some resorts when you’d rather enjoy your vacation. But then we were the very definition of a Captive audience. The attendants walked down the aisle with applications like they were doin their safety bit. I heard sighs of disbelief and quiet laughter from behind me.

6. And finally, 5 min before landing in New York (in January), we were told there was no gate available and we would have to use the stairs down to the tarmac and walk to the gate. Wish I’d known earlier in the flight so I could have changed my Florida flip flops for the 30 degree temperature outside.

As we exited, they made no apologies and said no goodbyes” (why would they, they hadn’t greeted us when we boarded)....not even a smile. It all was so outrageously awful that I would have laughed if I didn’t feel so demoralized.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

We have used Frontier many times in the past and are aware that their "come-on" ads of $20 and $15 flights are nonsense but it the Trenton airport is close to our home. Our last purchase of $29 tickets to Florida cost us $450 round trip for my wife and me. Because they charge separately for seats, carry-on bags, and checked bags, I took advantage of their great offer to purchase the "Bundle" so I could save a lot of money and have the privilege of making changes to my tickets at no extra charge. It still cost me $450. When I called today to change my tickets, they told me I would have to pay an additional $600!!!! Do not waste your time with Frontier. There are legitimate airlines that do much better. Frontier is a total rip-off.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

My issue with Frontier is before I got on the plane. They are cheap so I expect the flight to be like bus service. However when I want to give them money, book a flight they are horrendous.

1. Customer service, if you can call it that, is a joke. Cannot speak English, unable to answer simple questions, transfer you multiple times to people who hang up or cannot answer basic question. Example how to I book a flight with my card so my wife is the passenger
          2. The mislead you about the 40,000 miles. You have to chase them to get it on your card, it takes 3 months, and since it takes 20 to 30 minutes to get a person that understands your question you give up. I believe this is by design

3. Website appears easy but is confusing, hard to book tickets for anyone other than the card holder.

Do not bother. There are better easier cards with real benefits. Frontier benefits are a scam. Unfortunately I must give 1 star which is too much for these incompetents.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Frontier Airlines canceled my flight four hours before departure and offered no other options for rebooking. When I called customer service, the soonest I could leave on any flight to any airport was 3 days later. My original trip was only four days long so I had to just accept a refund with no rebooking. When I asked why the flight had been canceled, I was lied to. I was told that my originating airport had made the decision due to a winter storm and that Frontier had no other choice but to comply with the decision and cancel the flight.

However, when I looked online right after our conversation, I learned that many other flights were landing and taking off from the originating airport. In addition, I looked on Frontier’s website any my flight was the ONLY Frontier flight to be canceled. Many other Frontier flights were taking off from and landing at the originating airport. It’s ridiculous that my flight was canceled and my trip ruined but to be lied to adds insult to injury. Terrible customer service!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I fly to Las Vegas from Madison Wisconsin airport with my service dog, a 10-pound yorkie with no problems and no paperwork needed. Upon paying for a ticket and trying to fly back to Madison all hell broke loose and they refused me a ticket since I didn’t have paperwork in Vegas now, on my service dog, to get back home to Wisconsin essentially stranding me at the airport! My phone died at airport so I had to borrow a couple's phone to even get a uber! Paid 100s now for hotel. Don’t know how I'm going to get home now with my service dog. I shouldn’t be having these huge problems.

Not sure about Frontier Airlines?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Frontier Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1994, Frontier Airlines now launches more than 375 flights each day to destinations throughout the U.S., Mexico and Jamaica. Today, this relatively new airline employs more than 3,000 aviation professionals.

• Get the works: Frontier Airlines offers a package price that includes services such as refund-ability, free change service, priority boarding, extra carry-on and checked bag allowance and more.

• Exclusive discounts on fares: Travelers who join the Frontier Airlines Discount Den get access to low-rate fares only available to members. Members can book flights for up to six people on the same subscription.

• Manage flights online: Through the Frontier website, travelers can check in, book flights, make changes and check on the status of their flights.

• Economy-plus options: Get the same low fares on economy-class seating but nab an extra 5 to 7 inches of legroom with stretch-seat options. A small additional fee gives passengers that little bit of extra space.

• Choose your seat: Many airlines have moved away from assigned seating, but on Frontier passengers can select a seat that lets groups stay together in the air.

• Best for: Vacationers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers who want extra room and more control over their experience.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Frontier Airlines Company Information