1.12/5

1358 Frontier Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have booked with Frontier for 3 flight legs. Of the 3, 2 flights have been cancelled. On the most recent cancellation, my brother and I booked tickets directly from the Frontier site from San Diego to New Orleans. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 11:30AM. Just prior to leaving to the airport, I received a notification that the flight was delayed 45 minutes. OK, no big deal... On our way to the airport, I received a second notification that it was now delayed until 2:00PM. An hour later, now delayed until 2:45PM. When we arrived at the airport, and given my previous cancelled Frontier flight, I spoke with the person who checked our bags. I asked if the inbound flight that we would take to New Orleans was actually going to get to San Diego. He said he believed so. I told him about my previous cancelled flight and he rattled off 3 stories about flights being cancelled due to co-pilots and attendants refusing to stay on the flight at layovers. Hmmm, not good.

Our airplane was scheduled to arrive from San Antonio and I started to track it to make sure that it actually left the ground. It left and was scheduled to arrive at 2:50PM. I figured if it was in the air, we would have our flight out, albeit 3.5 hours late. So the plane lands, everyone exits, and everyone is beginning to line up to board. We are standing there for about 15 minutes and they close the gate door. At 3:05PM an announcement is made that the flight was cancelled. The "crew timed out". What? If that is the case, they should have either rounded up replacements while the plane was in route or let us all know so we could make other arrangements.

My brother went to grab our luggage and I ran to Southwest to try and find a flight with them. We missed the cutoff for their last flight by 5 minutes. Brought up Kayak and looked across all airlines. Due to the late timing of the announcement, there were no alternate flights available to New Orleans. We had to be there by 6AM the following morning to catch a 7AM train. Now that was impossible. We cancelled our entire trip as we could not get to our end destination on time without spending at least $600 each for a one-way ticket to an alternate city. Unfortunately my brother lost the opportunity to go to his first Alabama football game experience, I lost hundreds of dollars in prepaid hotel rooms or hotel rooms that were beyond the cancellation window. Frontier refunded our fare and provided a $150 voucher to each of us. I will never fly Frontier again, not even using the voucher as I have no faith that I will ever make it to my destination.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

After canceling our flight, for unknown reasons, two hours after it was supposed to take off, it cost us $2,148.68 to stay the night and fly out the next day. We were reimbursed $1,600. Doesn't seem fair. I will pay $1,000 a piece for flights before I ever fly Frontier again.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Unintelligible announcer was replaced by a good one who announced my flight final call ten gate from where my boarding pass stated. I saw the door close as I approached and a woman is ahead of me screaming and cutting to be let in. Returned to Frontier's space looking for assistance and given a number which took no care for the nature of the issue Frontier's inept staff created. Staff say in front of me testing rather than helping. Then they tried to charge me $99 for a flight change saying all gate changes were announced without accounting for what actually took place.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

The first leg of the flight from Charlotte to Orange County was delayed over an hour. At first they said there would be a gate attendant at the other end to rebook, then that the same plane was going to OC so no problem. When we arrived, the connecting flight had left 10 minutes previously. The next flight was in 2 days time. I had to book a flight on another airline at full cost. Meanwhile my checked bag was wandering around the airport. I found it after about an hour. There was no customer service, no help, no suggestions. I understand that things happen, but then I expect some help and/or compensation.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I realize my story is not even close to the worse, but stay away from this airline. On Sept. 2nd we were supposed to depart from PDX to DEN at 7:29 pm, but due to... and I quote the Captain of the plane "Had a flat tire, but we couldn't get a maintenance person to the change the tire, then after he changed the tire he realized he had to change both tires if he changes one, but then he couldn't find another tire"... we didn't depart until after 1:00 am. Our connecting flight from DEN to CVG departed on Sept. 3rd at 12:25 am, so we missed that flight, but was rebooked prior to departing from PDX, for a flight that would leave September 4th at 12:30 am. We were also given a hotel voucher prior to departing from PDX, and were told we could stay there until our flight from DEN to CVG. Upon arriving at the hotel at 7:00 am (After traveling for almost 24hrs straight) we were told we had to leave the hotel by 11: 00 am...

We called Frontier for help, and they told us "to go back to the airport and talk to customer service", which was out of the question. I asked for a number to call the airport, and they don’t even have a number to contact them. We never checked into that hotel, but instead had to go check into another hotel. I called into Frontier customer service late afternoon the next day on Monday Sept. 3rd, to explain the situation again, but was told us they do not handle refunds and I have to go talk to airport customer service. They gave us 2 $50 vouchers, which I told her we didn't want because we will not be flying with you all again. When I got to the airport that evening I went straight to customer service at the check in.

I had Frontier employees just walk away from me and tell me they couldn't help me (Including the supervisor). I then went to the customer service next to where we board the flight, and they told me "they would've never given a voucher like that, and that I should GO BACK TO PORTLAND AND TALK TO THEM THERE", that they don't handle these type of situations, told me it shows online that I settled for 2 $50 vouchers (LIE) and finally gave me THE SAME NUMBER TO CALL THAT TOLD ME TO GO TO THE AIRPORT. I am very much paraphrasing all that your employees told me, as it was absolutely dumbfounding how they talked to and treated their customer(s).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I had to fly to Colorado for a funeral due to my grandmother passing. I bought 2 tickets round trip for myself and my spouse. I went directly through the airlines website. I purchased the tickets along with upgraded package to allow baggage. Flight out to Colorado no problems. Coming home 9/28 our flight was scheduled to leave at 7:10 am... We boarded on time but then were asked to deplane a while later. They told us there was an electrical issue... The flight was then delayed 5 1/2 hours...which we were supposed to have a connection in Chicago and then on to Jax.

We were told when deplaning in Chicago that they were not sure if we were going to be on the same plane due to the fact that it was the exact same plane that was down because of earlier electrical issues. We went to restroom and when we came out accidentally turned the wrong way and had to go through security again... (The terminal we were in only had 1 gate) Was told earlier this was an old non used section of the airport...not sure why but who knows... Ok no prob. We went through to security.

Then the TSA agent told us we needed a gate pass due to the airlines not putting Chicago to Jax on our tickets??? So we sprinted to desk. They printed and security let us right up front. This total transaction was literally 10 mins. When we got back to the gate there was no one at the desk but plane was there. We tried to find someone but no luck. Remember this was a 1 gate terminal. Finally after another 10 mins an agent came off the plane... And then she refused to let us on...she stated she has already had to work 5 and a half hours over her shift ends...same time as flight delay. We explain we have our carry one on board with wallet included. She stated it was not her problem. And got her stuff and left.

We waited at the gate another 20-30 mins in hopes someone would come by. The plane was still there the entire time. Finally we went to ticketing and they said there was nothing they could do. Why didn't they call desk agent in the beginning to let them know we had to get gate passes is beyond me. Long story short they told us the best they could do is get us on a flight 2 days later... what!!! Then how are we going to get our carry ons back. After having to pay out of pocket for new tickets and having to have the bank help us with temp. CC... the only luck we had was our IDs were in our pocket. They promised refund. Went online to check...guess what? Only a partial refund??? And when checking that THIS IS THE kicker. They charged my card 2 times for the whole flight. So now I'm out over 1500.00 and still no resolution???

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Booked 2 two-way tickets (CLT-SAT and back) for Thursday (Aug 30, 2018) and Sunday (Sept 2, 2018). Thursday night, the plane was delayed for close to 3 hours because of maintenance issue in San Antonio. On Sunday, plane was delayed in San Antonio a couple of times, then we were told it was canceled. They needed a part coming from Denver. Agent told us that we would get meal vouchers and hotel vouchers and would definitely be taken back to CLT on Monday morning.

After waiting a few more hours, we were told - "No meal vouchers." We got a hotel voucher around 10:00 pm; The Manager would not come down to explain anything. Two agents were trying to help - both telling us different information. We were told we would get vouchers to use on Frontier and get $500 cash for each traveler, to help with our inconvenience. Then, we were told this was not correct. We were able to book another airline the next morning, but we had to pay upfront. Frontier is supposed to reimburse us, but it is unclear how much or when.

Meanwhile, we are out $579.00 and my wife had to use a day of vacation. I submitted a reimbursement claim and they refused to pay me back. I was offered a travel voucher for Frontier, which is absolutely the last thing I would ever want. I will never contemplate buying another ticket with Frontier. Terrible communication. Outright lies or misinformation should never be given out to customers like it was. This company does not seem to care about its customers. Very disappointing. Do not be fooled by the low price - it is not worth it! Not only is the money an issue, but the stress, time, and energy to find a new route within moments notice while trying to check in, has been immense. They are playing with the customer feeling. They don’t care. Very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

The worse airline ever. Was in a flight and it was canceled due to maintenance issues. Called their customer service to change information because we’ve bought the tickets thru Priceline and they quickly offered me a refund, me not knowing the benefits, said yeah and received it ($126) and they told me I could purchase a flight with another airline that I would get the money ($579) reimburse. Submitted all my receipts and now they are saying they will not reimburse me because they already refund me $126. They painted really pretty and at the end the customer is the one that suffers. WORSE AIRLINE. DO NOT FLY WITH FRONTIER.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I’m not going to try to be polite or professional because clearly this airline knows nothing about either. I have traveled over 30 countries and 20 states and have been on hundreds of flights. That being said, never in my entire life have I ever had two worse travel experiences than the only two times I have booked with Frontier. Both times I have had to spend hundreds of dollars out of my pocket to buy a new flight from a different airline because Frontier had canceled the flight without even a 12 hours notice. Not only is the money an issue, but the stress, time, and energy to find a new route within moments notice while trying to check in, has been immense.

The employees were of no help, and neither was customer service on the phone. I felt as though the employees did not care about any of the passengers needs at all and only gave responses that would make people leave them alone. I was offered a travel voucher for Frontier, which is absolutely the last thing I would ever want. I will never contemplate buying another ticket with Frontier. I had to spend $498.20 on a new flight this last time, with a very superior and well organized airline, Delta. I highly recommend spending the extra money on a Delta flight first time around. It's worth it. Plus, in circumstances like mine, you're going to be forced to buy a new flight anyways so may as well choose any airline besides Frontier. "Low fares, done terribly wrong. We are a scam," should be their new slogan.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I had a layover in the Denver Airport, and I was looking for Gate 40 to catch a flight to Portland Oregon. When I got to Gate 40 I noticed the flight was going to Cincinnati. I looked around for a board to tell me where my gate was changed to, but I did not see one. There was no one at the kiosk at Gate 40 to assist me, so I went to the next gate down, and asked a woman (maybe Asian or Indian descent) and male (** dark hair and glasses) for help. Before I could ask my question they bluntly refused my help. They said I will need to ask the person at the desk when the return. I was shocked at their response. After being in customer service for over 20 years, I could not believe an employee from Frontier Airlines, not only refused to help me with my question, I did not even have the opportunity to ask my question. If they were busy, I could understand, however, they were both standing there people watching.

If a total stranger asked me for help, I would have helped them without hesitation, and I’m not even an employee of Frontier. I was completely appalled by this experience. I walked further down, to ask for help at the next gate, which looked really busy, so I turned around, to go the other way. This time, when I walked by the employees, they were shaking their heads at me like I did something wrong asking for help. I went back to Gate 40 and this time there were 2 employees standing at the kiosk. I politely told asked one of the young ladies (both **) if she could help me. I said that my boarding pass was showing my flight to Portland Oregon was leaving from Gate 40, however, now it's showing the flight was going to Cincinnati. The girl cocked her head, blinked her eyes, and said, "that is a printed boarding pass sir”. It was obvious to me that the Frontier employee was being as condescending as she could.

At that point I could have used a smile and some help, but instead, I was humiliated by another Frontier employee who refused to help me. I looked around, but there was no one else I could ask. I said, "Thank you, I really could use your help right now. Telling me it’s a printed ticket is not helping me." As I was walking away, the girl yelled, “Don’t ask for help then!” It didn’t end there. While boarding the plane, one of the flight attendants was rolling her eyes at the elderly man in front of me, and snickered at me to include me into the joke.

When I asked the flight attendant if she was making fun of that passenger, her (blonde **) and the other female flight attendant (**) looked at me as if I was being rude. I guess I missed what was so funny about the older gentleman in front of me. All I could think of is this man probably fought for our country and lived a long and hard life, just be made the butt of a joke and humiliated publicly. After this experience, I will never fly on Frontier Airlines again. I will not tolerate myself or others being embarrassed and humiliated by their employees.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Booked flight out of SAT to CLT on 8/30. Flight was very late leaving, flight back on 9/2 canceled. Offered rental car to drive to SAT. Then told we would be refunded our entire ticket. We would be notified via email. Nothing to date. Went online today and requested refund. We will see how that goes. Bad decision to use this company.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Booked 4 two-way tickets (CLT-SAT and back) for Thursday (Aug 30, 2018) and Sunday (Sept 2, 2018). Seemed like a great deal. Thursday night, the plane was delayed for close to 3 hours because of maintenance issue in San Antonio. On Sunday, plane was delayed in San Antonio a couple of times, then we were told it was canceled. They needed a part coming from Denver. Agent told us that we would get meal vouchers and hotel vouchers and would definitely be taken back to CLT on Monday morning.

After waiting a few more hours, we were told - "No meal vouchers." We got a hotel voucher, but others were still waiting for theirs when we left. The Manager would not come down to explain anything. Two agents were trying to help - both telling us different information. We were told we would get vouchers to use on Frontier and get $500 cash for each traveler, to help with our inconvenience. Then, we were told this was not correct. We were able to book another airline the next morning, but we had to pay upfront. Frontier is supposed to reimburse us, but it is unclear how much or when.

Meanwhile, we are out $1699 and my husband had to use a day of vacation. Other travelers could not afford to book another flight so they were waiting and hoping that Frontier would fly them back today (Tuesday). I hope they got another hotel voucher for last night, but they would have had to pay for food today. Terrible communication. Outright lies or misinformation should never be given out to customers like it was. This company does not seem to care about its customers. Very disappointing. Do not be fooled by the low price - it is not worth it!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LET THE PRICES FOOL YOU!!! What they’re not telling you, is that they charge you for every single thing you can think of short of bathroom use. Which I’m sure will come soon. Plus all of the hidden fees that you won’t find out about until after something happens. Based on the reviews I’ve seen, just wait until your flight gets delayed, or canceled. It’ll cost you a great deal of time, and money, while costing Frontier nothing. One can argue that it costs them their reputation (which isn’t much to begin with), and customers, but there’s a sucker born every minute unfortunately. So one way or another, they’ll get their money, plus hundreds of dollars more from you. When all is said and done, you were better off dishing out that extra $50 for a higher quality airline that won’t nickel and dime you for everything.

Now time for my story about my first, and last ever flight with Frontier. I booked a flight from Raleigh - New Orleans on August 24th for me and my girlfriend for our first ever trip there. Flight F91787 leaving at 3:20PM, and on the way back on August 27th, flight F91788 leaving at 5:25PM. Thankfully, and mercifully based on the reviews I’ve been reading, both of my flights were on time. Otherwise I’m sure I would’ve been stranded for days at the airport, or spent almost $1,000 more on another airline to come back on time.

My issue comes when I checked in for my flight, and I found out that they charge you $45 to carry on your own bag!!! Say what??? I was heated, 'cause this meant both ways. This really would’ve added an extra $180 on the flight for both of our bags $90 going, and $90 back. Me and my girlfriend brought carry ons, and packed only the necessities for that weekend for the sole purpose of not having to pay for baggage, and risking having our luggage lost. Don’t even get me started on how NONE of the kiosk machines were working. Luckily, the line was short, because as I’m reading through the reviews, this is done intentionally in hopes you miss your flight so they can squeeze more money from you. Unethical business practice!!!

As for the plane, it was sketchy at best. The trays were maybe a little bigger than envelopes, and they charge you for soft drinks and snacks! $2.99 for a small, plastic cup of mostly ice and a splash soda. $3.00 for a snack. Talk about a rip off. This is the only airline I heard of that charges for carry on bags, and things that should be complimentary on the flight. The seats were very thin and uncomfortable and it was hard to keep still as I had to keep readjusting myself so that my back didn’t hurt.

As I have stated in my opening paragraph, spend that extra cash on a much better airline. By the time you’re done with Frontier, you’ll see that you paid the regular price that other airlines offered, or worse, way more than what they were offering anyway. Frontier would squeeze as much as they can out of you, while giving you very little in return. It seems I got off light in comparison with many others. Please take these reviews seriously and do not use them! I have personally made it my business to inform as many people as I can to never use Frontier. They need to be shut down.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I’ve been planning a trip to Denver for a year and finally purchased tickets within the recommended 90 day window. Our flight was cancelled 4 hours before take off. So disappointed because I wanted to finally take my boys on vacation somewhere other than the usual places. My sister and I were supposed to meet up. She flew SW. Never choosing Frontier again.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

We just flew flight 774 from Vegas to Denver on August 31st. We sat on the plane and at the gate for 3 hours due to maintenance issues. The flight should have only been an hour and half so we sat double our flight time just to leave. Nobody including the pilot knew what was going on or how long we would wait. They should have had us off the plane so we could eat, drink and stretch our legs. Instead we were kept on plane. After finally taking off they came around asking us if we wanted to PURCHASE drinks or snacks. After a delay like that they should have at least given soda for free. The plane was disgusting! Not sure it has even been cleaned. After this flight I will never fly Frontier again.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Despite arriving well over an hour before my red-eye flight, the very long baggage drop line caused me to miss my flight. 1 person working with over 50 people in line. SeaTac airport. They refused to refund my money or my luggage fee! She said the next flight they could book me on was 4 days away. Never again. They're so rude & not willing to help at all. It seemed like the lady working the counter almost enjoyed telling me I wouldn't make my flight.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I flew with Frontier Airlines several times and the experience was okay. But my last 2 flights one in June 2018 & the last one Aug.16 2018 & they both were a nightmare for me. Both flights were canceled at last minute as the passengers sat waiting to get on the planes. Both canceled because of maintenance problems. And the flight in June we were on the plane after we sat waiting for almost an hour after the scheduled flight time to depart, the plane coasted around the building parked and we were told to depart (after sitting for about 20 min.) and to leave our items on the plane because the plane had brake issues. We sat in the airport for about an hr. more and then an employee came over the loudspeaker to inform us (in a language that no one could understand) that the flight was canceled.

Everyone went into panic mode. The front desk attendants disappeared from the desk for about 30 min. (they went back on the plane), & came back with our stuff we left on the plane (only 2 people) to remove items for about 300 passengers (ridiculous) that took forever & basically they just place everything in a cluster on the floor and everybody rushed at the same time (like a pack of animals at feeding time) to get their things. When the staff decided to come back to the desk area to address the customers they had a paper about Voucher Options for us that was confusing as heck that just caused more confusion & chaos to a already angered group of around 300 people that just wanted to get out of there.

The staff also informed that they had a few flights on their airline later in the day for Cincinnati Ohio or Cleveland Ohio (this flight was supposed to go to Columbus Ohio) that they can try to put a few people on. So now you have everyone rushing to the desk all at once to try to get the lucky flights (it was a mess). After all the flights were booked maybe around 15 seats you still had all those other people left stranded wondering what to do. I saw people crying, mad & confused because of how this airline (Frontier) was treating them. Oh by the way after the 15 or so were booked it was announced that there were no more flights out until Sunday (and it was Thursday) so there was families stuck with maybe 5 or more people in a group left to figure out what to do next.

I have never seen or been in a mess like that with an Airline and it turned my stomach for this company on how uncaring their staff is. And for this to happen to me in less than 2 months says a lot to me about Frontier. If they keep canceling flights for maintenance problems weekly what is really wrong with the planes because now I don't feel safe flying on them. If you want to book a flight and get to your destination without fearing as you're sitting in your seat waiting to board the plane and the flight being canceled in your face don't book a flight with Frontier because they SUCK! THE WORST AIRLINE EVER! AND THEY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN! Very unorganized company that steals people's money.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

My experience with FRONTIER Lead Flight Attendant Ms. ** was the worst nightmare I've ever experienced. When I requested some pretzels and Ginger Ale drink to settle my upset stomach (scared of flight), Ms. ** decided to call the paramedics instead. I clearly expressed that I was not in distress. I was escorted out of the plane. Was treated unfairly as if I was a threat to all passengers on board. This absolutely horrible situation caused me losing my flight and two days delay, besides that my luggage was sent out without me. Never ever fly with FRONTIER!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Booked Round Trip Non-Stop Flight from OKC to Orlando. They cancelled both flights due to "Market Demand" (words from their customer service). They booked us on different flights at times we couldn't fly at all due to school conflicts. Guy on the phone was argumentative, abrasive etc. As this is the busy time for flights to Orlando because of fall break, I'd wager their practice is to cancel and reschedule till they fill up basic routes. NEVER using them again and I will tell everyone I know to steer clear. Anything that was packaged in the original flight could not be refunded or cancelled without contacting the provider directly. The hotel had no ability to touch the reservation and said I needed to contact Expedia.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We were scheduled for a flight from New Orleans to Philly. Flight canceled due to maintenance grounding plane in Philly. Plane available in New Orleans, but no crew. Told by multiple Frontier employees that there would be no $ limit for alternate ticket purchases since it was a Frontier issue (as opposed to weather). Next available Frontier flight was in 2 days.

After purchasing alternate tickets (cheapest was $500) received an email limiting ticket reimbursement to $400/person + $200 flight voucher OR original unused portion of ticket reimbursement + $500 flight voucher. Flight vouchers had to be booked in 90 days AND in original passenger name. Fairly restrictive if you don't fly often. Called Customer Service number... Waited on hold for 45 minutes. Representative told there is no one with authority (including managers) to offer anything but the $400 reimbursement. The only way to request more would be to submit for the reimbursement and see if they would approve more.

Submitted reimbursement requesting just enough to cover my out of pocket expenses caused by their cancellation. Included a 2 page letter outlining the situation AND the directions I received from both the Gate Agent and Ticketing Counter Agent as well as the Customer Service Representative. Heard nothing back until I received an email stating "Your reimbursement has been approved and you should receive your check in a few days". Ok, sounds great. Check arrives... $95!!! That's not even the reimbursement of my canceled flight tickets. No indication what that amount was derived from just a check and blank statement with no details.

Call Customer Service again. They state they have no control over the auditing department that handles reimbursements and I need to contact them by responding to the email I received. "The email that states at the bottom 'Automatic System DO NOT reply?" I asked. "Yes" they told me. I have, no response. So I had a canceled flight, no alternative ticket options that fell within their restrictions, Customer Service Representatives that say they have no authority to do anything, and a Reimbursement Department that has no contact number and doesn't respond to emails.

My last steps are to file an official complaint with the Department of Transportation Consumer Affairs division and maybe the federal government can get some sort of response. Only fly with Frontier if you can afford to be delayed several days or if you are ok with not being compensated if you have to make alternative arrangements. Contacting the airline apparently will get you nothing more than wasted time on the phone.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Our flight number 1250 on the 19 August 2018 from Chicago O’Hare to Islip was delayed for 3,5 hours due aircraft maintenance. Upon arrival at Islip my check-in bag (that I have paid for) was lost, I immediately report this to Frontier desk agents and they promise me that they will send me baggage claim email. I couldn’t wait longer due to my flight back to South Africa. I keep phoning them. If I am lucky they answer and told that they send the mail but I didn’t receive anything, I phoned from South Africa and reconfirmed my email and still nothing.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This past Monday I was returning home from a quick trip to Philadelphia with my wife and two granddaughters. It was raining really hard as we drove to the airport but as we arrived, the rain stopped. My granddaughters were worried that we would not take off but I assured them that planes were taking off and landing and our plane was already at the gate.

The crew was huddled by the door and eventually let onto the plane by the gate agent. As we stood by the gate waiting to board, the gate agent announced that the plane was canceled due to weather. BS! It had not rained in over two hours and the skies were clear. When we got to the agent we were informed we could re-book our flight for takeoff in 10 days or get a refund. Do you know what same day fares cost? I could not get a reasonable fare that day and had to book a flight the next day, incurring additional costs besides the significantly increase fares.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I booked a flight from MCO (Orlando) to GRB (Green Bay) for July 12-23, 2018 for myself and my 2 young boys, both under 12. The price was right for 3 people... if we took no baggage and didn't care if we sat together. They claim that they do their best to keep people together so I did not pay for seats. What airline is going to put little kids with strangers, right? Well this airline doesn't care. We were seated in completely different areas of the plane. Thank God for kind people who were willing to move around when they saw us. The flight there ended up being ok and I did pay for a checked bag that all 3 of us shared.

Fast forward to the return flight. I have the app on my phone. I check in the day before and the next day I check the app to be sure the flight is on time. We then load into the car and drive 1.5 hours to the airport. We then find out the flight has been canceled and there is nothing available until Friday, the 27th. Yup, that's right. It's Monday... They can't get us home 'til FRIDAY!!! WHAT?!

They offer to refund fare. How are we supposed to get home? Last minute flight on other airlines is about $1500 for 3 people. I can't pay that! They basically shrug and say, "Do you want to get on Friday's flight or not?" That's it. They say it's due to weather though my friends and family in Orlando are saying it is gorgeous out and there is only a small storm later in the pm. They offer nothing! Not a voucher for a meal, or food on the flight, or hotel. Nothing! It's weather (or so they say) and there is nothing they can do about that. UGH!!! This airline is awful and uncaring. They are not cheaper! If you need any clothing or to sit with your family... it will cost the same as Delta 'til you pay for it all. So just fly Delta to begin with. I'd give them 5 stars! I flew to WY with Delta in the middle of this trip and it was fantastic. They even gave me food and drinks for FREE!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I will never book with Frontier Airlines again. I made a mistake of picking a flight on Expedia based of airfare and time. Went to check about carry on bag dimensions and saw that they charge $35 for carry on items/bags (the type that other airlines charge $0 for). I called them (8/14/18 @ ~ 2:18 p.m. PST) and indeed, found out that I and my sons would each be charged $35 for small carry on bags. Also, found out by sheer luck, that checked bags would have cost me $60 each if I had waited to pay at the counter while checking in. So, now, this flight will now actually cost at least $105 more (per direction) than many other flight options I had when booking through Expedia. Again, as I originally wrote, "I made a mistake..." I WILL NEVER MAKE THIS MISTAKE AGAIN and have written this review to help others avoid making this very same mistake.

Lastly, as an aside, when speaking with the Frontier Airlines representative, I let her know (very calmly and politely while doing my best to suppress my laughter) that the mistake was mine and having learned my lesson, that I would never book another flight on Frontier. I offered to give a contact number "in case anyone wished to follow up or even verify if I were a real person/consumer" and got a response something like, "Sorry about your experience, is there anything else?" I then stated that her lack in interest of getting my contact information told me exactly what Frontier Airlines thinks of its consumers. Buyer Beware!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

My flight yesterday, Monday, August 13 (Flight 998) was canceled due to a storm in Philly, which is understandable though other airlines were still flying into PHL on a delayed basis. They offered no consolation and we're going to rebook our flight for Friday, August 17. Who has an extra 4 days to wait around to catch a return flight? This is absolutely absurd to expect your passenger wait 4 days to catch a flight. They don't care about their passengers. They have no empathy for their passengers. They are simply horrible. They run their business horribly. They are horrible to their passengers.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Had this trip planned since June. Austin to PHL for Ocean City New Jersey family visit Aug 14, 2018 to Aug 28, 2018. Checked in online, paid for seat assignment and got boarding pass. Then 20 minutes later got notice flight cancelled. Was on hold for over two hours to speak to Frontier. Cancelled due to Crew not available? Best they can do is book us on their next flight which is not until Sunday Aug 19, to Sept 2 and then expect us to accept their apology with a two hundred dollar voucher to be applied next time we fly with them. REALLY???

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Awful experience. Canceled flight. No help finding a new flight. Refund process is a hassle, not even sure it's going to happen. No customer service to help rebook a flight. Hours (4 plus) waiting for hotel accommodations. Phone number to ‘talk’ to someone about the issues was nonexistent, on hold for an hour waiting for a representative and disconnected. Do not be tempted by the low fares. This company is the bottom of the barrel.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

My flight was cancelled with zero notice; lines for checking bags and customer service were extremely long; the servers went down as I waited in line so I spent a total of two hours seeking a refund; the next available flight would have had an 8 hour (overnight) layover; they attempted to put me on that flight despite my clear time constraints; when I finally got a refund, they didn't refund baggage fees. Will never fly Frontier ever again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

My flight was canceled due to a "medical emergency" which really meant a flight attendant got sick and they didn't have enough. It is a complete pain to attempt to get reimbursed. They offer a travel credit which lasts for all of 90 days so it's useless to me. They just handed us all a sheet saying we had 3 options with limited details. Will never fly again. Hopefully they do refund me the flight I had to use elsewhere. They couldn't even find me a new flight for at least 2 weeks as every flight was booked. What a damn joke.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Thought I’d take a chance and try frontier. HUGE MISTAKE. Same experience as so many others. Flight delayed for over two hours. No communication as to why. Find out through Flight Aware that it is cancelled while frontier still claiming delayed. No customer service at airport. No help at finding other flights. Fly with another airline—anyone!

Frontier Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1994, Frontier Airlines now launches more than 375 flights each day to destinations throughout the U.S., Mexico and Jamaica. Today, this relatively new airline employs more than 3,000 aviation professionals.

• Get the works: Frontier Airlines offers a package price that includes services such as refund-ability, free change service, priority boarding, extra carry-on and checked bag allowance and more.

• Exclusive discounts on fares: Travelers who join the Frontier Airlines Discount Den get access to low-rate fares only available to members. Members can book flights for up to six people on the same subscription.

• Manage flights online: Through the Frontier website, travelers can check in, book flights, make changes and check on the status of their flights.

• Economy-plus options: Get the same low fares on economy-class seating but nab an extra 5 to 7 inches of legroom with stretch-seat options. A small additional fee gives passengers that little bit of extra space.

• Choose your seat: Many airlines have moved away from assigned seating, but on Frontier passengers can select a seat that lets groups stay together in the air.

• Best for: Vacationers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers who want extra room and more control over their experience.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Frontier Airlines Company Information