1.12/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1428 Frontier Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Reality is flights do get cancelled - the social media feedback had scared me when my flight was cancelled but I had a good experience with the customer service of Frontier Airlines. It does take a little time and patience but if you follow the instructions given in the letter handed to you when your flight is cancelled the reimbursement is handled quite efficiently. The customer service was prompt and helpful and once the all documents (invoices, application etc) were furnished, they promptly processed the reimbursement.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Flew out of Austin on Feb 13th to Vegas. My wife and I got there on plenty of time and the boarding pass people were so slow. By the time we got to the desk with half hour to go they told us we missed our flight, I was confused so lady told me we would never make it through security on time, I said, "Let me try," but they refused to give me a pass, but would put me on stand by for a flight leaving 2 hours later, wasn't looking good getting on but we made it (only good thing that happened).

So made it to Vegas, great trip, so two hours early for flight home, about 10 people in front of boarding pass gate messing around for at least 30 minutes, and I finally said something and they moved, told us we missed our flight again, it was 3 and flight left at 4:15, so this was Saturday and they couldn't get me home till Monday. Can't do that. We both have jobs, so got flight to Denver and they wanted to pay 80 bucks for that, I refused, so 3 hours we left, and had 12 hour layover in Denver, love sleeping on the dirty floors, people sleeping everywhere. Got to San Antonio Sunday morning, got a rental car to Austin. Bottom line they wanna charge you for everything, customer service sucks, planes are filthy, and return plane flight all the power went out on the plane. If you wanna live go another airline, or rental car, never again will I give them money. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My flight from Detroit to Orlando was cancelled at the last minute with no reason given (was NOT weather-related). Next available flight was not available for a full 24 hours later. Lost a full day from a four day vacation.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Horrible customer service. Dirty planes! Was denied boarding for my first flight, was told to rebook, long story short do not waste your time or money with this airline. They refuse to refund any of my money! Waited TWO hours for my luggage after landing. NEVER again. Highly recommend you STAY FAR FAR away from this airline!!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I received a piece of luggage from my family for Christmas 2018. I’d yet to fly with said piece of luggage. To escape the cold Wyoming winter, I surprised my family with a trip to Orlando out of Denver. First time the piece of luggage flew. Having a nice piece of LL Bean luggage is a nice thing to own. My return flight I was surprised to see the handle broken off. The baggage claim representative told me it wasn’t covered but to call “feedback or concerns”, she even commented on the fact that the piece of luggage was brand new.

Initially the claim lady was helpful and asked for pictures of the piece of luggage; her name was Krisha. She told me that while the luggage was normally not covered, she noticed how new it was and offered a settlement. Settlement options were:1. if I produced a receipt the frontier would cover the cost. 2. Give me $75.00 or 3. Award a $100 flight credit. Seems reasonable for a $365.00 piece of luggage doesn’t it?

Not that this truly matters, but needs to be mentioned. I am a disable combat veteran. I use a cane the majority of the time. Can you imagine how difficult it is to walk without another crutch, but to lug a piece of luggage across Denver’s airport without a handle and trying to use a cane for balance and mobility? I’ve spoken to two supervisors of Krisha (Olivia and Beverly), both commented on the situation that terms would be reworked with Krisha to replace the new piece of luggage.

Because of Frontiers (Indiogo LLC) formation as an LLC, consumer beware as there no real legal litigation you can pursue. It’s why folks love LLCs so much. You can be treated like crap and nothing you can really do about it, but boycott and pray that the company fails and falls flat on their faces. I would love to post pictures of the piece of luggage for evidence but site will not allow that. We will never be using Frontier again. I often wonder whatever happened to business 101? Treating customers like dirt only yields lower increases.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Airlines?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Frontier Airlines advertises itself as a "low cost" airline, and indeed when you see the ticket prices, you think, "Gee this is great!" THEN you discover they have lied all along. You have to PAY for a seat-- EACH WAY. Seats range from $14 at the very back near the bathroom to $50 up front. THEN you go to check in, and discover that a CARRY ON BAG, FREE at all other airlines is $40 EACH WAY. I decided to cancel my whole trip at that point, but then they charge you $114 to cancel. You are stuck. I will NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN EVER FLY FRONTIER AIRLINES. AND ANOTHER THING. No one speaks English, you can't understand a thing any of the reps say, and they won't let you talk to a native English speaker.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Have flown Frontier many times with no issues about my within the guideline carry on. Recently was charged $60 at the gate for the same carry on I’ve taken 6 other previous round trip flights. The young lady at the tunnel taking boarding passes was so rude and unprofessional every time I tried to speak. She cut me off and spoke louder. I called Frontier and they told me too bad on getting my money back for the charge, very disappointed with their customer service. I have decided I will never fly Frontier again! I guess human error doesn’t exist with their employees only their customers. Weak sauce Frontier!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

My wife booked me a flight on frontier from Orlando to Detroit in October 2018. Flight from Orlando to Detroit was good but when I arrived there my bag was not there. There was no one from Frontier available to help me either. I returned the next day and had to file a missing bag report and was told my bag had been sent to another destination. To make a long story short I was headed to northern Michigan and had no warm clothing with me. I had to purchase new clothing for the trip as my bag never showed up all week. I finally told the airline to hold my bag in Detroit and I would pick it up on my return flight to Orlando.

When I arrived at the airport my bag was there but my flight was canceled. I was told I could not get another flight for two days. I am a 82 years old and was obviously upset so the ticket agent said there was a flight in half an hour to Tampa. I was given a slip of paper saying I could get a refund from Frontier for using American Airlines. That ticket cost me 345.31 plus 60.00 in EBC and FTF fees. We submitted a claim online and called customer service to be sure that they have the claim and have phoned customer service about 4-5 times as to the status of this claim and have been reassured that we would have a check in the mail in two weeks. The last time was the beginning of January. This has gone on now for 3 1/2 months and we have received NOTHING, no communication no check or anything!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Very unprofessional. Flight will always have delays and you will never be compensated if you want to be on time or remotely close to it. Choose another airline. I’m very disappointed??? In this airline after multiple attempts to get it right they won’t and they don’t care. Stay far away!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I booked a round trip flight on Expedia which had the return leg on Frontier. I booked the trip with the understanding I could cancel within 24hrs. I tried to cancel my flight an hour after booking but Frontier would not honor that agreement and gave me a credit only that expires in 90 days. This is very deceiving.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Monday, 17 December, my 70-year-old mother and I got to the airport at 12:30 pm for flight 613 scheduled for 10:15 pm, hoping to check in and possibly get an earlier flight to Seattle. We found out the Frontier ticket desk did not open until 7 pm. As soon as we saw people at the ticket booth, we checked in and checked our bags, and were notified that the departure time had been revised from 10:15 to 10:50 pm. We proceeded to the terminal which still had our departure as “on time.”

I received text messages at 7:53 pm that gave a departure time of 10:26 and 10:14 pm, respectively, leaving me to believe the flight was again on time. Not until after 10:50 pm did they make an announcement that the flight had been delayed and we were waiting for the arrival, disembarking of passengers, and quick cleaning of the airplane. The plane finally arrived at around 11:30 pm, and they quickly loaded us onto the plane. My seat had not been cleaned, as there was garbage in the front pocket.

As I sat in my seat, I immediately smelled a stench of an overwhelming mechanical-type odor. I asked my mother if she could smell something, and she said, “yes.” My eyes began to burn, and my lungs began to burn, as well as my throat and the inside of my nose. My mother was experiencing the same sensations. We sat in the plane for almost an hour while the flight crew scurried around spraying Febreze or some kind of air freshener to mask the overwhelming odor, which made it worse. This added to the discomfort we were experiencing, especially when trying to breathe. We were very concerned at this point.

They pulled a couple of gentlemen dressed in pilot uniforms from their seats on the plane and brought them to the very front one at a time, and they never sat back down. The flight crew was making phone call after phone call, and the ticketing agents at some point came on board. They did not seem to be taking it very seriously, as chuckling and chattering was happening. The flight crew clearly knew early on that there was an issue and kept whispering to each other so that no passengers could hear them or read their lips, as well as discreetly covering their mouths and noses.

We had pulled away from the terminal at some point and sat on the tarmac. At 11:55 pm, I turned my phone back on and received text messages that the revised time was now 12:13 am and 1:30 am, respectively. A little after midnight, Tuesday, 18 December, a young male stood up and demanded to get off the plane, because he could not “stand it anymore.” At around 1 am, the pilot finally made an announcement that due to an odor in the plane that the flight crew noticed upon the start of engines, the plane was going to be deplaned, but the odor was clearly there before the plane started.

The plane then made its way back to the terminal and we got off. We were told that maintenance was going to fix the plane and it was now scheduled for 1:30 am. This was the first announcement made by the flight crew when I had already received the information by text almost 45 minutes prior. It became clear that communication to the passengers was not a priority.

Approximately 8 to 12 police showed up from the airport and stood at the back of the terminal, which seemed a bit odd, because the airport was closed. We were told to stay in the area because TSA was gone and there was no way to get back in. We were basically held hostage with no offering of water or food of any kind, or further explanation. At some point, the flight crew left, along with the 2 gentlemen dressed in pilot uniforms that were sitting on the plane, all walking past us, quite jovially with no final announcement made until well after 2 am.

They finally announced around 2 am, after being bombarded with questions because we were waiting, obviously with no flight crew. They said they needed to have a 15-minute powwow to decide how they were going to deal with the situation. Minutes later, they finally announced the flight was canceled, they told us we needed to get our luggage from downstairs, there was going to be a plane coming to get us, but not until 2:45 the next afternoon, and we were to meet them at the ticket counter where they would give the out of town people hotel vouchers, and tickets for the 2:45 pm flight to Denver. Our connecting flight to Seattle would have long been missed. They told the Miami people to go home.

My mother demanded a wheelchair, because her pain killers had worn off, and she had not eaten in 10 hours. Another young passenger had also asked for a wheelchair and we sat and waited. The other passenger apparently ended up walking down to the luggage terminal and ticket counter, as she did not want to wait any longer for the wheelchair.

At 2:55 am, we proceeded to the luggage area. When we got to the ticket counter, my mother, who was being wheeled in a wheelchair, was wheeled to the front of the line where we attempted to resolve our issue. I had looked up other flights for that morning, and American Airlines had one at 6:45 am to Seattle, just 3 or so hours later. The lady who was dealing with us, and not very nicely, was also helping the other passenger (who had earlier asked for a wheelchair), and told me that was not an option, they did not have the power to do that, and my options were a refund or the flight at 2:45 pm. She proceeded to tell me that Frontier could not and did not have the power to put us on a flight with another carrier; that they did not have any type of relationship with another carrier. She gave me a little piece of paper with Frontier Airlines information and told me to call if I had further questions or complaints.

I walked away from the ticket desk and tried to call the number on the piece of paper. There was no option to talk to anyone. The 2 ladies who were pushing my mother’s wheelchair and luggage were from American and had said Frontier should be booking us flights and told us American Airlines ticket counter did not open until 4 am. I returned back to the Frontier ticket counter and waited to talk to the agent again. As I waited, I heard the passenger who was being helped earlier return and say, “I do not need a hotel voucher.” I had decided out of total frustration, to get a refund of my money, because we were going to American Airlines to get on an earlier flight.

There was a line of people from Miami demanding to have Ubers and rides paid for them, or some sort of compensation; I have no idea what was done for them. The ticket agents needed to be told not to help the people from Miami, as they needed to help the out of towners. We made our way to the American Airlines area with my mom being pushed in a wheelchair. When we finally arrived to the other end of the airport, the 2 women helping my mother took pictures of our Frontier tickets for compensation from Frontier, as they worked for American Airlines.

While we were waiting to check in to American Airlines, I saw the other passenger from the Frontier flight. I made my way to her and asked what Frontier did for her, because I was already frustrated that no compensation was made for either my mother or myself for what we had endured. She told me that Frontier had booked her on the American Airlines flight. Apparently, I was bold-faced lied to by the Frontier agent. I asked her how that came about and she responded, “I’m sick.” All of us had just been poisoned in a plane, we were all sick. Just because I did not reveal all my medical health problems and that the reason my mother was in a wheelchair was because she was recovering from 2 broken legs at the age of 70 years old, I did not get booked on an American Airlines flight.

When American Airlines ticket counter finally opened, I talked to one of the ticket agents and she said all Frontier has to do is call us to book a flight. She was powerless, but all it took on Frontier’s part was a phone call. We were not offered a hotel voucher by the Frontier agent; she never offered us anything, but the 2:45 flight or a refund. We got no compensation. She gave me my money back. I ended up paying $879.80 to get my mother and myself on an American Airlines flight so we could get back around the same time Frontier had obligated themselves when I purchased the tickets.

After the 5 hours wasted with Frontier, we had been at the airport for almost 24 hours, had not eaten for 12 hours, and had no water for at least 8 hours, and no access to get any of those commodities. Everything we experienced was total and utter chaos, a total absence of communication, and total absence of consideration.

When I finally got home, I had received 2 vouchers from Frontier for $150 a piece, which is useless to me, because after what we encountered I will never fly Frontier again. After stewing in my own thoughts and frustration of how this all turned out, I added up all of the vouchers everyone else was getting if they took the 2:45 flight (apparently); $150 each ($300) for future flight, $100 each ($200) for hotel accommodations, and $10 each ($20) for food vouchers. If they had not refunded my money ($376.80) and booked my mother and myself on the American Airlines flight I requested, they would have actually saved about $17. Instead of keeping customers happy, they decided to make it truly a nightmare.

My mother and I were returning from a cruise where we were treated like royalty, and then our quite expensive vacation was single-handily dismantled and destroyed by Frontier Airlines. This terrible occurrence is the only thing we have talked about since we got home, not about our tremendously wonderful cruise. I can only imagine they did the same to the other passengers in the plane; ruined vacations, or planned on vacations, as well the children and babies that were on board sucking in toxic fumes.

Since returning home, my mother has had worsening asthma symptoms, headache, burning throat, shortness of breath, and nausea. I have had a terrible headache, sore throat, shortness of breath, and nausea. I contacted Frontier in the expectations of compensation for my mother and myself for the turmoil spent with Frontier Airlines. I refused to accept vouchers, or future flights with Frontier, as I expected repayment of at least the money I was out for buying tickets to American Airlines to get us home ($503). The lady has refused to pay for our entire ticket (less $10 each) or the $30 each I paid for my baggage. They want to bicker about $80 instead of doing what is right and making me whole. I will not stop until I get my entire $503.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I bought roundtrip tickets January 2019 from Denver to Los Angeles. The flight out there was delayed 6 hours, 4 of which we sat on the plane for an apparent update of a maintenance issue. This was well into the lunch hour when we were on the plane and I was traveling with a 1yr old and 12 yr old. Frontier still charged for snacks and beverage even though the plane was delayed so long. My baby ran out of water for his bottles and I still had to pay Frontier for a bottle of water to make him a bottle.

The return flight home the plane was filthy. My seat had ketchup (or I hope it was ketchup and not blood) smeared all over the back of the seat in front of me, there where crumbs all over the floor of the plane at which my son kept dropping his pacifier in, and there was a sticky residue on one of the arms to the seats which had hair plastered and dangling off of. I complained to the flight attendant and she replied, "Oh we don't have anyone to clean our planes!" So she got me a paper towel and handed it to me to wipe off the back of the seat that had ketchup. NICE!!! Then I also smelled smoke and complained of that to the flight attendants who quickly replied, "Oh we don't smell anything, if you continue to smell it let me know we can give you some spray to eliminate the odor!"

The guy that sat next to me was juuling **. I caught him and took a photo. My one-year-old is adopted and was exposed to drugs in utero and I feel like I was made to put his health in jeopardy over the filth and drugs exposure while on the plane. And seriously nothing was done about it while I complained. I deplaned and immediately went to customer service in which they issued a flight voucher which wasn't even the cost of my plane ticket of $88.

SERIOUSLY??? My husband and I once took a later flight with Frontier because of overbooking and received $600 a piece in flight vouchers. I feel like my child health and the 6 hour delay is worth more than the and overbooking fee of $600.... A measly $75 voucher is what I received for the problems I had with Frontier... Big Joke. I will charge them a hefty cleaning service fee!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I have never experience harassment from an airline employee until we fly Frontier. Here is the some background, this is our first time flying Frontier, when we arrived for our first flight in Orlando, we went up to the customer service desk to check in our daughter stroller, and car seat and carry on. But the rep there told us “Oh no you that bag wouldn’t be considered a paid carry on because it was our daughter's suitcase."

Now on our returning flight back to Orlando. The moment we went through security (literally a 5 minute process because the airport is so small) and sat down at our seat, an old lady came up to me without stating her name or credentials, she had a black coat on (no Frontier uniform on) and asked me to check in our stroller and ask me did we pay for our carry on (mind you, we arrived at 8:30 and the flight was not departing till 10:51. I immediately thought what is the rush, this airport is super small and we have plenty of time before the flight departs). When I told her we have time for all of that, she started looking at me with an attitude and said it’s best to do it early, "Please do it now." When I told her, we will take care of it when we are ready, she stormed off, rolled her eyes, and told the reps behind the desk about us.

When I got to the gate, they immediately said, “You need to pay for your bag” and the old lady with the blonde hair stood right next to her. At this point I looked at her and asked her to please stop harassing me over a $50 carry while I hold my infant. My husband who was behind me started telling the rep what the Orlando Rep said and that if it’s not the same case okay we will pay. Before he could even finish his sentence, the old lady immediately interrupted and said we have to pay or we won’t board. We weren’t even attempting to board but rather trying to talk, She literally stood in our, and harassed us.

I have never experience such a rude and disrespectful employee in my life. We had every intentions on paying for that bag but what was so frustrating was the fact that she would not let us finish our sentence, assumed we wouldn’t pay, and threaten us by saying she won’t let us board the flight. I should of listen to and sticked to my gut when I saw so many bad review about this airline. There’s a reason, their flights are so cheap! They are never on time, there’s an extra fee for everything, no snacks on the plane and ride employees! Needless to say we will never fly Frontier again. I would not recommend this airline to anyone. Stay away!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

This is based on my own experience. Took a flight in Jan 2019 from NYC to Miami and I was highly disappointed, flight departed 2 hours late and arrived Almost 4 AM!! Carry on is $50 by the gate so it’s not a low cost airline and the SEATS are exceedingly narrow, don’t recline and very thin with barely any padding and extremely uncomfortable and No complimentary anything. All I can say is that it’s Disgusting and turned me off And to add insult to injury the Tray-table is comical- child like and that is an understatement.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

So, I booked a trip from St. Louis to Denver back in October of 2018. My return flight back home was canceled for no reason. And when I say no reason, I mean there was no inclement weather, no flight risks... NOTHING. Maybe the pilot didn't show up for work that morning. Maybe there wasn't a plane available... Who knows??? So, I get an email from Frontier saying they're sorry for the unexpected cancellation, and I was directed to rebook my flight through Trip Easy. I did that and had to come up with nearly an additional $400 to book a flight through American Airlines. I was told that I would receive a refund for the rebooked flight.

My flight was canceled 10/17/18. Today is 1/22/19. 4 MONTHS. Do you think I've received a refund? NO. I was told that the refund check was sent 10/18/18. I never received it. I called 11/20/18 asking about the refund. I gave my new address to the customer rep. I was told to wait an additional 10-14 business days. I called 12/3/18 and told a customer rep that I had still not received my refund check. I was told to wait again. On 12/11/18, I contacted Frontier Airlines yet again via email. Someone called me back and said they were reissuing a refund check and told me to wait an 6-8 additional weeks.

So, here we are today, 1/22/19. I've been getting the runaround for 4 months for something that is owed to me. I'm currently on the phone with customer service as I type this email. And I can guarantee you that I'm going to be told to wait again. At this point I don't know what to do. So here's what I'll tell you to do. Save yourself a headache, a possible stranding in a place that isn't home, and extra money that you really don't have available to spending... DON'T BOOK WITH FRONTIER. UPDATE!!! I was told to wait... *Drumroll* 8 MORE DAYS!!! Spare yourself a 4 month ordeal.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

BEWARE. THE FRONTIER MC BARCLAYS PROGRAM IS A SCAM. I signed up and paid $79 with the understanding that 40,000 miles would activate after my first purchase and I could apply them for a year. It is 5 months later (after activating) and the miles haven't accrued to my account. And, my account information states they will expire in another 2 months (7 months after I signed up). Friends of mine have expressed they've experienced similar problems.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I was disgruntled at the $50 fee for our carry on luggage. Granted if I had done my research I would of discovered this before booking my flight, but I still think it is a ripoff. The on flight service and amenities were terrible. There were no complimentary beverages or snacks. Even on our 4 hour flight. The trays were too small to play cards on or lay a book on for crossword puzzles. The seats did not recline. And to top it all off there were no monitors on the back of the seats. Which granted I could of done without the monitors, if I could of played cards or tilted my seat back to sleep a bit and make the time go by. I will never fly Frontier again. And I will not recommend it to anyone I know.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

This was our first time using Frontier Airlines and I can promise it will be the LAST. My son who was home from the Army on leave for the holidays booked his return flight with Frontier. His flight was scheduled to leave Orlando international airport at 8:55 pm. He arrived at the airport 2 hours prior to his flight like recommended. Unfortunately the security check line was astronomical and by the time he made it through security his flight was scheduled to leave in approximately 10 min. He gets to the Frontier gate and was told he would not be allowed on the flight. Of course he asked why and the very rude obnoxious gentleman told him he was late and could not board the flight.

My son explained to him that he was in the security check line for almost 2 hours and the man still refused to let him board. Fortunately a very nice lady who worked at the airport but not for Frontier overheard this conversation and politely intervened and told my son that she was very sorry he was being treated and talk to so rudely by the Frontier employee. She told him to go to Southwest, give her name and explain to them what just occurred between my son and Frontier. He did and they gave him a direct flight to Kansas and only charged him $100 for the ticket. Mind you he had already paid $298 for his ticket through Frontier.

As many of you may know, when you are in the military you have to be back to base on the date they give you by midnight. If you aren't signed in by midnight they can charge you with going AWOL. My son explained this to the Frontier employee as well, he told my son that wasn't his problem. My son filed a formal complaint with Frontier and may possibly receive a $99 refund, not holding my breath but we'll see.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My daughter left her phone on a plane. I track it to Miami airport. After calling the phone, an airline attendant answers. Takes my contact information. I track the phone for three days at Miami airport until the battery dies. I fill out the forms to get it back. A week Denver claims they never got our phone. They claim lost items are sent to Denver daily but I tracked it for 3 days in Miami. Frontier should check into their employees as the phone had magically disappeared.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I recently bought my first ever airline ticket with Frontier. Cost relative to the flight I thought was awesome, but I obviously didn't take enough time to read all the fine print in their policies. I bought the ticket 6 days out from my flight day. Later that day something out of my control changed and I had to cancel my flight. I did cancel my flight and noted the $99 penalty on the refund since I was canceling within 7 days. Since I bought 6 days out, there was no way around this.

However, the part I didn't fully understand is that it required two different steps to get an actual refund. And that second step needs to happen within the first 24 hours of the cancelled trip. So, to my surprise when my credit card bill came in, I saw the entire charge and questioned it, but then I saw I had a flight credit, and thought ok, that is not so bad, I might be flying again in the next couple months and can use it. Not, knowing that I had already missed the refund window anyways.

Then about 6 weeks later when I knew I wasn't going to be flying again, I submitted for the refund back to my card, and was promptly told I only have 24 hours to do that. I replied back stating this was my first time ever using Frontier and asked for reconsideration. They promptly responded again, there was nothing they could do. Now, I have flown 100's of flights, just never did on Frontier, so knowing that I think I can easily avoid flying on them again as a dissatisfied customer. But the fact that either they didn't believe me (although they have all my records or lack thereof to prove it), or they are so stringent that they would bend their rules for a first timer also speaks to the service they offer. I will avoid them at all costs after my experience with them.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I flew Frontier back in October of 2018 round trip. First flight was fine. Return was TERRIBLE! Woman at ticket counter was just foul. Had a scowl on her face when I arrived (an hour and 15 minutes BEFORE flight!) and told me I was late! Would NOT let me board, rebooked me for 3 DAYS LATER, and acted like she did me a favor by waiving the rebooking fee!!! (Called the airline regarding this and was told there was "nothing they could do about it")

I thought I'd give them another shot and flew with them on December 26th 2018. Ended up sitting at the gate for SIX hours!! Yes. SIX hours! They told us the delay was due to bad weather from where the plane was coming from. So the plane itself was four hours delayed but we had no crew for our flight. So we had to sit for an additional 2 hours waiting for a crew. When we finally got on the plane, we were told the plane delay was due to a customer issue. Hmmm which was it...weather or customer? Don't lie to your customers FFS!

I just arrived back home and all I have to say is...never again! ANOTHER delayed flight. My flight was their first flight of the day and they boarded on time but we sat on that plane for an hour and 30 minutes before it actually left the gate due to (what we were told anyway) "TSA being backed up and a mechanical issue". When we were deplaning, after half the plane had already exited we were yelled at by one of the stewardesses to sit down immediately! They were afraid the plane might tip over because the balance between luggage and passengers was off!! Another lie? IDK, but that scared me. The ONLY reason I'm giving any stars is because the in-flight crews were very friendly and accommodating...and because I am grateful of the crew that shuttled over to Tampa from Orlando late at night so we could get to NY.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Frontier Airlines has been the absolute worst experience we have ever had with travel. My family chose a direct flight from RDU to DEN via Frontier and received 3 out of 4 of our checked bags. The 4th bag never arrived and after speaking with a representative, we quickly learned that this was nearly expected of this airline. However, this bag happened to contain all of our expensive and necessary ski equipment, so it creates a much bigger issue than a normal lost baggage claim. We have attempted to contact Frontier several dozen times, and succeeded only a handful of times, only to receive the same speech stating that they don’t have a clue where our bag is, but that they are sorry and do not know what we should do about our belongings but they guarantee they won’t reimburse us or help at all.

We are now in Denver, paying for lodging, and unable to use the ski lift tickets that we’ve paid for because Frontier will not reimburse us for anything until a week has passed and they will then decide the bag is “missing.” Well, in a week we will be back home and short several thousand dollars because of Frontier’s carelessness and incompetence. Frontier has offered no solutions to their mistake, and has been very clear that they do not care at all. They are knowingly ruining paying customers’ vacations and making no effort to remedy the situation because they are more concerned with making money and cutting their costs.

Needless to say, we are never going to fly with Frontier again. In addition, we are making it our mission to warn as many friends and family as we can to avoid this airline at all costs, because it’s become so evident that they will cut corners to cut costs and maximize their profit off of their trusting and innocent customers. We simply do not feel safe flying at 30,000 feet on an airplane owned and operated by an airline company that has proven to value money and profit over the well being of their customers. I’d like to warn everyone reading this to avoid using Frontier, because a (slightly) cheaper flight is definitely not worth the costs of replacing your belongings, and especially not worth the risk it may pose to your safety.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I have flown many Frontier flights over the years. I know they nickel and dime you and I know to pack real light (i.e. a backpack under my seat). I know that most likely we will not get there on time and I plan for that. There is always a delay. I think I’ve only ever had 1 of their flights leave on time. I expect this. However in the last year I have had not 1 but TWO FLIGHTS CANCELED ON ME. WE SPENT HOURS AT THE AIRPORT DELAYED AND DELAYED. The crew at the desk would make the announcements and just disappear with no answers as to why.

In this latest cancellation, the flight was delayed 3 hrs and now set to depart at 6:08pm. The other flight lands, deplanes, and we get ready to board. Then they close the gate. It’s been 30 mins and no one has told us anything. We see a Frontier agent and ask them what’s happening. They said they just need the captain to sign off on some paperwork and they can board the plane. Then we start seeing that the flight is saying cancelled online. We ask the agents, they know nothing.

When you call Frontier, they said our flight was in-flight! Are you serious? Finally they come out and announce that the flight is cancelled but they have no idea how we can get our bags and go about finding another way to get to our destination. We wait at the gate for another hour, HOUR, while they say their manager is coming with information. A manager never came. They still had no idea. They said the reason the flight couldn’t take off is because they were short 1 crew member. They couldn’t find ANYONE to staff their flight. Are you serious?

We finally get told our baggage will be in baggage claim and wait another 30 mins for it with, as you guessed, no one to give us any information. In the line for the ticket counter they give us a paper that says we can use a website to rebook our flight and that we will be reimbursed with the cost up-to $400. A new flight on American so I can get to my destination cost me $410. I’m now worried based off of other reviews that I may not see that money.

Things happen, I get it. However, you should keep your passengers aware of the situation in a timely manner so they can adjust their plans. PERIOD. Your staff should know what is happening and should be able to answer questions (BOTH IN PERSON, ONLINE, and over the phone). Being held hostage in the airport for 5+ hours with no idea what is happening, how I can get to my destination, and how I can get my bag is ridiculous. TL;DR DON'T FLY FRONTIER. Just don’t. The likelihood that your flight will get cancelled is high and in the end you will shell out more money than the $100 you saved. TRUST ME.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

The website has a deal for 53.00 and we planned our flights based on that price. I went in and checked the flight price to make sure and sure enough it shows 53.00 so I hit book. At this point the flight price jumps to 294.00... What? Customer service says it is what it is and they can't help us. This is a terrible airline and I will never use them again. I will be telling this story of how my Christmas plans to see my family were ruined because of greedy, sleazy, bait & switch advertising put out by Frontier Airlines.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I just got off with customer service and spent over an hour on the phone filling out forms online, sending it back to be verified to fly with my ESA. They are requiring me to physically go to my therapist prior to every flight to get her signature on this form. Due to a last minute reservation for work I didn't have the ability to provide her signature, so my ESA was declined.

I am now having to buy a carrier as well as pay for my ESA to fly as a regular pet. I fly often for work and rarely have 48hrs notice myself. This system is flawed and gives me anxiety just talking with their customer service just for them to say the same thing over and over that they need a signature from your doctor each time you travel as well as 48 hrs minimum to review it.

I do not feel like I'm being treated fairly with a diagnosed disability of PTSD that this company has induced an attack just by talking with their customer service and being transferred over and over again with zero assistance or resolve. A lot of airlines are changing their regulations, but this is just too much. I provided every piece of information they required with the same answer of we can't help you. I will need to go to my therapist, pay the 200$ fee for the visit prior to every flight.

I travel about 4 times per month for work so this is not a viable solution for travel with ESA. I can't afford to get a signature from a doctor stating the exact same thing the ESA letter provides. Unless I forged my doctors signature this form is not a solution to traveling with your company with an ESA. Don't waste your time talking with customer service, you will not get anywhere. Just fly with a different airline that accepts ESA and not give you a hard time for your disability.

Having an ESA is making travel very difficult and based on ADA Americans Disability Act having my ESA is a civil right that I feel I am being discriminated against due to my need for an emotional support animal. We need a better solution. I do not feel I am being treated fairly and I do not think this company has shown any compassion and did not provide a solution.

They need to add a database that can expire yearly if needed to add your therapist's information into so that they can refer to that so you can complete this form once, have my therapist sign one time rather than each time I fly. I know I'm not the only person in this position, which is why I'm writing this at all. I would like to see more complaints about your experiences with traveling with an ESA so we can hopefully see a change with all airlines and find a solution that doesn't make our lives and travel so difficult.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Our flight was cancelled due to "maintenance problems". So we had to rent a car and drive back 19 hours. Get home and filled out their return application online. Waited 6 weeks. Nothing. Called them. Got "It will be sent out soon to you." Waited another 3 weeks. Nothing. Called again. Long story short, have been calling for 4 weeks now, they tell me I was approved for the refunds 2 full months ago and to wait another 4-6 weeks. So now after waiting another 4-6 weeks... I called them after a full 2 months. They tell me they have no information that it was ever accepted and now want me to reapply with all the information again. Even though, I did to start with and I got their "Incident # ".

Then they tell me I can not send any information to them via bank receipts and only want paper receipts to file to get reimbursed for the car rental and gas. Even though it NEVER said that when I filled this report out 4 months ago to what they wanted. This is such a scam. They have all the information right there, all filled out the way they requested. Now they say they don't have this information and want it again, but this time only in paperwork. You get what you paid for. ** airline I have ever flown, and I have flown well over 200 times. This was the very first time I have flown this airline because it was direct flight and good price. It ended up costing me an extra $900 for the car and gas, and 19 hours of driving.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I have no complaints on my flying experience with Frontier and I think a canceled flight could happen to any airline. However, making you spend $1,600 (I had for passengers) on another flight because they canceled the flight you were supposed to be in and not sending a reimbursement check in a timely manner (or at all in my case) is appalling. Many phone calls later and nothing has happened. The first promise was 14 days, then the check got "lost" and "reissued" and I'm on week five of my second wait and haven't received it yet.

I did my research and found the General Counsel's address. I plan to give them another week and if I don't receive the check, I will prepare a complaint to be filed with the small claims court. I'm going as far as to mail the complaint to their GC and see if that does the trick but if it doesn't I'm prepared to go all the way. Someone has to draw the line and start a formal record of what this airline is doing. At first I thought my situation was an isolated event but after reading the other reviews here, I realize I'm not alone and, even though I wanted to give the airline the benefit of the doubt, I realize that I was deceived. I don't have their information on me now but I plan to post here at a later date the results of my research for others to use.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

5 Months and No Reimbursement for Canceled Flight - I've been flying for about 8-15 times a year for the last 15 years and have never encountered a situation in which a flight is canceled but the airline reps keeps saying 4-6 weeks for reimbursement. I seriously can't believe that the DOT and Frontier management allows this type of deception to exist at this level. I didn't freak out when the flight was canceled because I felt like the company was legitimate but I won't be surprised if Frontier execs end up in jail sometime in the future. Frontier needs to be investigated immediately.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We will probably have to rethink flying Frontier with two of our small children on board. As I apologize to the attendant leaving the airplane about my two-and-a-half-year daughter crying, she told me pretty rudely that I would need to be concerned about the other passengers. Just the way it was said in front of the other passengers it look very much that we were unwelcome on the flight. The other attendant ** gentleman, as I was holding my daughter in my lap, told me that she would need to be seated in her seat and the seat belt should be put on, because she paid for the ticket or there would be an alternative plan, which sounded very threatening.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

When looking for inexpensive flights from Philadelphia to Denver I came upon Frontier Airlines. The price was great so we bought 2 round trip tickets. Only after that did I read the reviews. It is because of other negative reviews that I felt compelled to write one of our experience. We would definitely fly with Frontier again. We did not experience any of the personnel issues that I read about. In fact, the attendant on our return flight was so exceptional that I wrote the airlines to recognize him. Yes, the regular seats aren't great but if you want the extra leg room upgrade your seat. I am 5'11" and had no problems. They do charge for food but face it, is the price of a bag of pretzels and a soda worth the difference you would pay for another airlines. We plan to fly Frontier again in the future.

Frontier Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1994, Frontier Airlines now launches more than 375 flights each day to destinations throughout the U.S., Mexico and Jamaica. Today, this relatively new airline employs more than 3,000 aviation professionals.

• Get the works: Frontier Airlines offers a package price that includes services such as refund-ability, free change service, priority boarding, extra carry-on and checked bag allowance and more.

• Exclusive discounts on fares: Travelers who join the Frontier Airlines Discount Den get access to low-rate fares only available to members. Members can book flights for up to six people on the same subscription.

• Manage flights online: Through the Frontier website, travelers can check in, book flights, make changes and check on the status of their flights.

• Economy-plus options: Get the same low fares on economy-class seating but nab an extra 5 to 7 inches of legroom with stretch-seat options. A small additional fee gives passengers that little bit of extra space.

• Choose your seat: Many airlines have moved away from assigned seating, but on Frontier passengers can select a seat that lets groups stay together in the air.

• Best for: Vacationers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers who want extra room and more control over their experience.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Frontier Airlines Company Information

1994
7001 Tower Rd.
Denver
CO
www.flyfrontier.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.