3.3/5 (1289 ratings)

About Frontier Airlines

Frontier Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontier Airlines?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Bought a ticket from Hopper, Raleigh to SF, stop in Denver. At the time the ticket was purchased no disclosure about “carry on baggage fees”. When you go to check in your flight they try to charge you $68 for a small carry on bag and threaten you it will be double if you try to do it at the airport. Then they say Hopper split your ticket and your baggage fee only covers you to Denver and that I would have to pay another $68-$99 in Denver to carry on my small item. When I pointed out the absurdity of this and the fact the the “carry on” fee, which should be free is more than the cost of my ticket, they said that’s their policy. Oh, and if check in your bag it will only go to Denver, not San Francisco.

Two large bouncers were at the gate escorting people away and not letting them board their flight unless they paid their “baggage fees”. Bunch of people lined up frantically trying to get online to pay the fees or risk not making their flight. When I got into the plane I noticed water leaking through the roof. “Small maintenance issue” says the pilot, we’ll be on our way. People on the flight look panicked, pissed they had to pay $99 for a backpack and fearful their checked luggage won’t arrive at their destination. WORST AIRLINE ever! Don’t be tempted by the cheap fees through third party sites like Kayak and Hopper. I plan to complain to the FTC and a class action attorney. You should too!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

I had the worst experience with Frontier airlines. First, I paid $110 for one way ticket for my 4 lb chihuahua who is 10 years old, her back legs are crippled so she can't walk and she has no teeth left. But, she is my world. So, they said because she was not a "service animal" I had to stow her under the seat in front of me. I have NEVER been told to do that before. She just sleeps on my lap under a lap blanket. This one lady in a yellow safety vest comes to my aisle (I am literally all the way in the back) and very rudely tells me I have to put my dog under the seat right after I sat down.

I said, why does that lady get to keep her much bigger dog out? She said she is a service dog. I said "what is the difference" and she said "It's a BIG difference" She was just an A.H. The flight attendants on this flight were HORRIBLE!!! Even all the other passengers around me told me to write a negative review because of how bad they talked to me. So I had to wake my dog up and put her in the crate and she screamed the whole time thus bothering the passengers but they all said they understood and were on my side. It was a lot of stress on my dog, me and other passengers for NO REASON other than the staff just wanting to be rude.

Then, I was deceived online to pay $112.00 for a carry on. They did NOT specify that it would be free if it were under a certain size, it just said all backpacks. I got there and the lady at the terminal said I did not have to pay for it but online it said it would cost me MORE at the airport. She wrote notes on it and told me to call customer service for a refund. Well, I did that and they refused to refund me for a service they DECEIVED me into buying. Never again will I fly this airline.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Like many of the other negative reviews here, my experience is with their aggressive, rude, and predatory staff scamming passengers out of baggage fees. On my flight from ATL to TPA, the gate staff made zero announcements, and the screen at the counter was blank, not showing any flight information, only a static image. Obviously there were no boarding calls. By the time I approached the counter, they were already ready to close the doors, and then 3 more groups of passengers approached the counter asking why there were no announcements made and the screen was blank. Good questions. They rushed everyone onboard with no time to repack luggage. The staff were incredibly rude to everyone, threatening to not let people on the plane.

Needless to say, they are running a racket. This is an obvious scam. Never have I seen airline employees make zero announcements for a flight, deliberately withholding travel information from passengers, and then rushing everyone on board while being exceptionally rude. This greed in the pursuit of profits. So now passengers can be incredibly uncomfortable not only while they're packed tightly into a Frontier flying school bus, but also while being threatened by nasty, or at least incompetent, employees before boarding.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

READ THE CANCELLATION FEES BEFORE YOU BOOK. Don’t book. They will take your money!! They charge 99 for cancellation fee but won’t take it out of the money you're refunded and then the money you are refunded it’s a travel credit. Go online then they charge 99 plus a smaller fee to cancel. Wow. Then give you a travel credit for the rest of your so called refund. So basically you pay for the ticket on top of an 99 cancellation fee or 122 cancellation fee online then travel credits if you even get a refund. If you don’t fly but this one trip you're basically screwed not to mention the ticket wasn’t even made for 24 hours. I made it at 2am it’s 4 pm for an family emergency so now they made money off a family’s heartache! Shame on you people. FIRST TIME FLYERS GOT THROUGH AMERICAN AIRLINES HAD NO PROBLEM.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

Arrived with my under seat bag, which I have been traveling with for over 10 years on all the airlines, including Frontier. Because the two wheels didn’t fit in the personal tester box by a 1/2”, I was forced to pay $99. One that is a ridiculous amount of money to charge. Two, the gate agents were hostile and rude. Three, because they would not even speak with you, and because they kind of are holding you hostage there at the gate, it felt like a shakedown; I felt like I had been robbed. I filed a complaint with frontier and response was basically “too bad, so sad for you”. When you combine that with their terrible planes, and the lack of comfort, the lack of service they have transition to… I will never fly with them again. Terrible experience.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

Same bag I traveled with from Charlotte to Orlando fit easily under the seat.. Tried to go back home to Charlotte the bag fit in the little compartment and they still made me pay 100$... They all were aggressive and very rude to me and everyone traveling.. Never again!! Hate this airline.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2022

Me and my brother had a flight from Las Vegas to Baltimore. Each of us had backpack with us, as we were going through the gate the agent asked us to check out bag to see if it fits my brother's bag. Fitted easily. However mine didn't so we transferred some of my stuff to my brother's bag and then both of them fitted. But the agent forced us to pay 100 fee anyway. She was very rude and aggressive. I asked her more than 10 times that, "I want to talk to your supervisor," but she did not contact them. She refused to give me her name as well. We record a video from what happened and we would love to share it with anyone that can make it viral.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2022

Charging 99$ on my return flight for "carry on" for the same bag I flew with the first time, even though it fit in their bag checker. Says on website the personal item can be a child backpack but they charged me to carry it on. I will fly Spirit or use another airline from now on. Screw Frontier.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2022

I truly hate frontier airlines and I believe they border on fraudulent. The government worries about transparency of hotel fees, etc., and they need to worry about airline fee transparency. They rope you in with reasonable fares and then charge excessive fees for bags $65 each, seats, and even charge to talk to a ticketing agent at the counter…$10. Completely crazy!!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

I have flown with Frontier multiple times. I typically take a small backpack with me when I travel that easily fits under the seat when I sit down as my personal item. Today, I was one of 5-6 randomly selected passengers to get told I have to check my bag. This was not a consistent process and many guests didn’t even have to check their bags even though they were larger. It literally felt like they had to hit a certain quota of fees because they let most people board without checking the size of their bag. They then charged me $99 for my backpack. I never write complaints, but the lack of consistency and customer service has been ridiculous. Do not fly this airline!

Frontier Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1994, Frontier Airlines now launches more than 375 flights each day to destinations throughout the U.S., Mexico and Jamaica. Today, this relatively new airline employs more than 3,000 aviation professionals.

• Get the works: Frontier Airlines offers a package price that includes services such as refund-ability, free change service, priority boarding, extra carry-on and checked bag allowance and more.

• Exclusive discounts on fares: Travelers who join the Frontier Airlines Discount Den get access to low-rate fares only available to members. Members can book flights for up to six people on the same subscription.

• Manage flights online: Through the Frontier website, travelers can check in, book flights, make changes and check on the status of their flights.

• Economy-plus options: Get the same low fares on economy-class seating but nab an extra 5 to 7 inches of legroom with stretch-seat options. A small additional fee gives passengers that little bit of extra space.

• Choose your seat: Many airlines have moved away from assigned seating, but on Frontier passengers can select a seat that lets groups stay together in the air.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Frontier Airlines Company Information