3.11/5

952 Fox Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I booked a car online for my visit in Arizona. During my booking I didn't realized, that I selected the wrong month. When I arrived and the guy at the counter told me I booked the wrong month, I feared I had to pay a higher price. But he managed to get me the same deal even the date was completely wrong (4 months in the past). The deal was very good, because in the glove compartment of the car was a receipt of a previous renter with a higher price. The return was without any problem and I received my deposit 2-3 days later.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Okay, I booked a car from Fox before I read every review on the internet. The price was very good and location was also close to the airport LAX. After I booked, then I read all the reviews. Then I canceled my booking due to very bad review on Fox. I was afraid to take a chance because I would be traveling with my 2 kids and wife from Indonesia. I didn't want my family to get disappointed: long flight from home for 3 weeks vacation in LA.

So googled again regarding reasonable price for my purpose: full size SUV with unlimited mileage. I couldn't find better deal than FOX. So what the heck, I took my chances by hoping the review on the internet was all wrong. I proved it right: Internet reviews were all wrong about FOX. Service at the counter was fast even though the line was long (due to Christmas and New Year Holiday), I got perfect condition full size SUV as I expected, things were fast. I enjoyed my 2018 holiday and the car. Maybe I was lucky or maybe not. But to find better deal during holiday, FOX is the best. Thank you FOX at LAX.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I booked this rental through Expedia (highly recommended). The shuttle from the airport was easy and quick, driver was friendly and very courteous. Dropped me at the front door and helped with my bags. My rental agent was Shawn. I found him to be knowledgeable and helpful. I had reserved a Jeep Wrangler and I got a 2018 Wrangler, 4 door. Very nice! Only had 6,000 miles on it. The rental agreement is pretty straightforward, although the website listed the rental at $24 dollars a day and after taxes, fees and surcharges it was more like $38-$40.

The only issue I had with the rental process was my bank card can be used as a credit or debit card. Shawn said his machine would not accept it as a credit card so he would have to charge me a $400 deposit for using a debit card. I've never heard of anything like that, but he assured me the deposit would be returned when I returned the vehicle. And in fact, it was. Leah met me in the parking lot when I returned and issued me a receipt for the deposit on the spot. Late the next day the deposit showed at my bank. Overall, I had a pleasant experience with Fox Rent A Car and I would recommend them.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I was looking for something economical and I got it. It was a Mitsubishi hatchback. The most positive aspect was its fuel economy. I must have driven 50 miles around San Francisco and the car only needed about 4 dollars of gas to fill it up. The car had something inherent in the engine that must have been cutting back on fuel consumption when not accelerating. However, the car didn’t seem to gauge itself very well when going up a hill. It seemed very sluggish going up steep San Francisco hills. Overall, it was a very satisfying experience with Fox Rent a Car.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Fox is the only company in Vegas that rents Jeep Wranglers which we needed for driving some questionable roads in AZ. When we arrived, the agent was totally bored and zombie-like, but she did a good job and there was no pressure to buy the gas ahead of time or add any over-priced insurance. The vehicle was in great shape. The shuttles to and from McCarran Rental Center were fast and pleasant. My only suggestion would be if you need a Jeep Wrangler and you can choose from more than one Jeep, don't choose based on color like we did. We chose a red Wrangler JK but later I realized it had passenger tires and not off-road tires. It still got us through some sandy stretches but pay attention to the tires if you are doing any off-roading.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?

Original review: May 17, 2019

I had booked a car via Orbitz. Price was reasonable. When I got to the car counter that is when the issues became a problem. Constant high pressure to purchase over priced insurance. Had to tell agent no several times. They charge a deposit (even with MAJOR CREDIT CARD). Final straw however IF YOU RETURN CAR EARLY $25.00 FEE. WTF IS THAT? Anyway I lost my cool and told them to stick it where the never shines. I booked with AVIS and was on my way 10 minutes later, better rate and better car. AND VERY GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. Stay away from these clowns.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Nightmare! Worst customer service experience of my life. Roach infested car. I narrowly caught a baby roach crawling inches from my five month old infant's ear on the back of their car seat and my seven year old daughter screamed and jumped out of the car in the middle of a parking lot to escape a roach climbing on the door next to her. When I returned the car and informed manager Ron ** of the situation he treated us like dirt, like we were some kind of scam artists, and accused us of bringing the roaches into the car. Impossible - we were staying in an immaculate, high-end condo.

At no point did he apologize or express any concern for us or our children. His tone was suspicious and defensive. He said that the best he could do for us was to waive the charge for an additional day for dropping off the car late - we dropped it within 10 minutes of the time we had been issued the car on the day we rented it (after having waited line for nearly an hour to be served)! When I told him I found his offer of waiving an additional charge he shouldn't have leveled in the first place unacceptable he became angry and directed his staff to rescind the offer and to charge us for the additional day and told us, "you can find your own way back to the airport".

I'm standing there, with my partner and my two kids - a seven year old daughter and a five month old infant daughter, and our pile of strollers, car seat and suitcases, and he is standing there, red-faced, telling us in anger that we can't even get on his shuttle to go to the airport. At first we thought he was racist (our family is ** and South Asian) which he likely is, but after reading the other Yelp reviews it seems like he is also just an equal opportunity horrible human being.

At that point we returned to the car to finish collecting our belongings, took what photos we could of the roaches and roach eggs that were visible on the floor, and left for the airport (his staff figured out a way to get us onto the shuttle).

The next leg of our vacation was to stay with friends in Oakland, CA for two days before returning home to Tacoma, WA. Because we did not want to trail roaches into our friend's home, we were forced to rent a hotel for the first night and to cancel time with our friends the next day in order to spend more than five hours sorting and washing/disinfecting our belongings at the laundromat. Lost time and money - at least $100.00 between the hotel and laundromat. I have never in my life had such a horrific customer service experience or been treated in such a horrendously disrespectful manner by any company or employee. I sought redress from Fox National, which said their hands were tied because the affiliate was privately owned - they contacted the affiliate's manager in the area and that person was only willing to refund us $30.00 for the entire ordeal and kept insisting that we brought the roaches into the car.

Reading the Yelp reviews (which I should have done before booking but didn't because I booked via Alaska Airlines) by Fox staff's logic, damn near everyone who rents with Fox must be carrying roaches on them then. They clearly know their nasty company is infested but choose to lie and treat customers like crap instead of doing anything about it. With so many complaints about the same issue - which is a public health issue - a roach could have crawled in my infant daughter's ear! They should be shut down.

Also, they seem to be using other companies to masque their ratings and complaints - what appears on my credit card statement is "All Save Car Rental 177 Halekuai St." and the email they sent me with photos of the car to document the dings and scratches (more than any rental car I have ever been issued) so that I would not be held liable for them when I rented it came from "Kihei Auto Sales". This company is shady as hell from top to bottom. I will never rent from Fox anywhere again.

Original review: May 5, 2019

Booked a car and I supposed to pay 270$. Arrived at counter. Asked me to pay 540$ then another 400$ as security deposit. After he took the 540$ I felt very stupid to do because when I rented through VIP Cars' website my voucher was clearly saying including everything. I felt scammed. I asked him to refund my money back and I don't need his stupid car, "Are you sure? This will be bad for your record" (another stupid comment). I insisted for my refund and full cancelation, I got my refunded money stuck for almost a week, contacted VIP Cars. They shifted me to Avis using the same amount of their agency fees. I paid the same amount which I originally booked in the first time 270$*9 days with upgraded car. This is one example of the worst companies that ** people. I advise everyone not to use this company.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Shocked to arrive to the Fox Rental Car desk (in San Antonio airport) to find out they gave away the rental car I had reserved!!! I had booked this through rentalcars.com a few weeks prior with no issues, I had specifically requested a SUV Jeep Compass or similar. When I arrived to the desk I was told the SUV they had reserved for me was given away earlier, but they had a Mitsubishi Mirage... I asked the agent if that was similar to a Jeep Compass (knowing full well it isn't) and she told me no but that was all they had.

I told her to cancel the reservation, and confirmed there would be no charge to my credit card as this was their fault. No sincere apology from the agent, she had a blase attitude about it. I spent several minutes asking other rental car agencies if they had any available vehicles and 90% of them were booked due to visitors coming in for military basic training graduation. I did find one agency that had a vehicle left, way overpriced but I was in need of a car.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I arrived at Tampa airport and waited an hour online only to be told by Thalia, the agent that my driver’s license was expired. I had just flown in from NY and apparently grabbed the wrong one. Thalia was unfriendly and unhelpful, told me there was nothing she could do. I explained that I had flown in from NY and had no way to get to my destination, and she shrugged her shoulders, clearly indicating that she did not care. I asked to speak to her manager and she told me that he would say the same thing. I told her that it did not matter, I would still like to speak to him. She gave me a phone number of customer service.

I called, waited on hold for 37 minutes, then was connected to an agent, who asked if I minded be placed on hold again, and promptly hung up and did not call back. I called again and agreed to a phone call back, and while I was waiting I went to the Thrifty car counter and spoke to a representative who told me to just have motor vehicle fax me a form that indicated my license was valid. He said that "this happens all of the time". I got my form and when Fox called back (another half of an hour), they hung up on me again. No callback.

I went back to the counter with my form from motor vehicle and went up to Thalia and asked her if this form was good enough. She looked at it and told me no and threw it back on the counter. I told her to call her manager as they had indicated on the phone that there was a variety of things that they could do, and Thalia shouted at me that she had customers ahead of me and I need to wait on line (which was twice as long as the first time). I left and rented the car from Thrifty. I will never deal with Fox again. This was not the first time I had a bad experience with them, and it was not worth the cost of the car to have to deal with them again. They also need to train their people to behave properly in a consumer service industry.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Do not even think of renting a car from this company. The price may look cheap, but the add ons are ridiculous. The people are unfriendly and their customer service is impossible to get in touch with. I wish I had never heard of this company.

Original review: April 30, 2019

After reading some of the reviews there really isn't anything I can add. Long lines, forced to buy toll tag (which we never used) and insurance although we already had insurance. Explained when we rented the car there would be 4 people and a lot of luggage so we would need a large capacity SUV. When my husband finally got to the reservation desk he was told they had upgraded him and when actually got downstairs to the car it was a Jeep Wrangler. Our luggage would not fit in the back of the car.

Went to the lady that had just told us where the car was and explained the car would not work. She told us to go back upstairs and BUTT in line because there was nothing she could do. My husband said are you kidding me? There is a line a mile long and you think these people waiting in line are going to allow that? She said, "Oh it's okay. They won't mind." We stepped aside for a couple of minutes and then went back to this same women. She said she had talked to her supervisor and he said it was okay she could give us a bigger car. A costly car rental for only 4 days, driving from Tampa to St. Augustine and back. Would never use this company again.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Expedia recommended Fox Rent A Car as it is the cheapest one! My flight came in at 7PM, had to wait 45 minutes for their shuttle so they can bring us to their site. Once we arrived at the site, there was a long line. It took 2 hours for me to get my car. There were only 2 1/2 customer reps assisting the tired customers. Like what Suzann said of SC, you'll be forced to buy their 3rd party liability even though you show them that you are covered. (I checked with my insurance and they said I am covered).

Not only that they'll ask you if you want to prepay the gas which is ridiculous as they charged you the full tank but they never explained that it will be non-refundable. So my $60.22/day rent became $92.96/day because of the add-on. They never sent me my final invoice so I have to call them and I was on hold for more than an hour waiting for their customer service to answer. If you can, rent from a reputable car rental. NOT FOX! Never again!

Original review: April 28, 2019

I can't say enough bad things about this company. My price for rental (on Priceline) was $141. When I picked up the car I was informed that I HAD to purchase their liability insurance even though the Priceline site clearly stated that it was optional. My personal auto insurance covers rental cars (GEICO) and I had more than adequate coverage for the vehicle. I was quoted a price of $220 for the rental, THEIR liability insurance, and a full tank of gas. I told the representative that I didn't was a full tank of gas, only 1/2 tank as I wasn't driving much. That brought my total to just under $200. I also had to pay a $400 deposit since I used my debit card for the reservation (which I expected).

When I got to the vehicle it was obviously dirty. When I got into the vehicle there was a STRONG odor of **. There was also a sign posted inside the rental office that clearly stated that if a vehicle was returned with an odor of smoke that there would be a $350 detailing fee. Obviously, something went wrong with this vehicle. When I asked for another vehicle I was informed that I would have to "upgrade" to a full size vehicle if I didn't want that vehicle--and pay MORE. I elected to keep the vehicle instead of paying more AGAIN.

I drove with the windows down the entire week (in Denver). When I returned the vehicle my bill for the rental was changed to just under $220--what they originally wanted to charge me. When I questioned it I was told that the original clerk had made a mistake and that this would be the actual charge and they would take the additional amount out of my deposit--which they did. Horrible company to rent from. I will NEVER use them again. They reel you in with a low rental price. Don't fall for it!

Original review: April 24, 2019

We reserved a car for 12pm. Came at 12pm. They said we've have to wait 1.5 hours (this is after 8 hours of travel) to get the car we reserved. BUT - "We'll give you an upgrade for $30 more and you can get a car now." So we had to pay $30 to get a car at the time we reserved. They would not budge on the price, and offered zero apology. Also: don't buy the "gas fill-up" scam. They don't care at all. Simple as that. Huge customer turnover, so why bother w/ any effort?

Original review: April 21, 2019

After my experience with Fox Car Rental in Fort Myers Florida (airport) this spring 2019, I will never rent from them again. I read several reviews online after I had already rented the vehicle and wish I would have read them first. What you think you will be paying ahead of time will not end up at that price. Once you get to the counter they will tack on all the extra fees, (tolls, pre-paid gas, insurance/waiver @ $22.00 a day, and whatever else they come up with.) In the end I paid almost twice what I had planned for. This is not to mention the car I reserved to rent they didn't have. They said they would upgrade me, but the car they gave me was actually a downgrade in size/space (full size sedan to compact SUV). I recommended they go online and google the cubic feet of space for themselves. They said in, "In the car rental world it was an upgrade". I guess in the "car rental world" they can do whatever they want. Buyer beware, do your homework!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Their great rates are indeed too good to be true. Once you're there, they will tack on mandatory extra insurance (they won't accept your own insurance, won't give the the option to decline it), and whatever extra other fees they can think of, such as, when I recently tried to rent from them in Florida, a mandatory SunPass toll pass for $9 per day (that's a lot of toll roads to make that worthwhile). You will end up spending a lot more than you would just going with a reputable company.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I went through Expedia to rent a car on my trip to SF. An awesome deal through Fox Rent A Car came up so I booked it. When I got to the airport and the person behind the counter barely spoke English and I was hit with so many extra charges, over $100 worth. Also if you have a debit card, they charge your card an extra $400 for holding. This was the priciest car rental I ever had. Would never use them again.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Do not rent from FOX!!!! Between the multiple negative reviews on this site.... there are thousands on the ConsumerAffairs site. And as you can see no responses to address any of them from Fox. You will have issues and they truly do not care. If you are on business or pleasure even if their rate is good.... it is not worth it!!!! I am beyond experienced renting cars, had not heard of Fox and was traveling out west and thought I would try. Never again!!!

The car broke down multiple times. I spent my vacation in repair shops and afraid to turn the car off. Based on the line of complaints when I turned the car back in and all the reviews, I am not alone. This trip was a vacation. The first breakdown was at the beginning of the trip, on my birthday. Now things happen, but it is how it is handled. NO HELP was offered by Fox other than to get a jump and take their car to the repair shop which is how I spent my day. I was not able to get across the Donner Pass to meet my kids who had come in from across the country. Worse, the car continued to break down so if you have a problem, which from my experience and the reviews, you will have something so BE PREPARED TO SPEND HOURS!!!! THEY DO NOT ANSWER THEIR PHONE. You will get a message, even on the emergency roadside repair that they will call you back. They don't! And you will hold forever to get this message.

I literally spent hours and hours on the phone. You do not want to spend your time this way!!!! If you do get through, you will not get resolution -- I COULD GO ON, I GAVE THEM OPPORTUNITY AFTER OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE IT RIGHT --THEY DO NOT CARE, they will not escalate an issue even if you request it and even when I went to return, there was a line of people with issues. The Manager would not come out to talk to you or call you back.

I could provide more painful details of my experience, but I think you get the point. I have a good bit of management and life experience and have never before felt compelled to leave a negative comment on any public site.... This is not norm for a car rental, no other agency runs this way. I don't do this for any other reason than to protect you.... If you are considering who to rent from.... Do yourself a favor, it just isn't worth it, go somewhere else, anywhere else.

Original review: April 11, 2019

If you like to stand in long lines that don't move when renting or returning your car, this is the rental place for you! When waiting for my car I stood in line for just over an hour, no other rental counter had a line. The service desk person argued with me for each item in the contract, blamed me for his computer not working, let me know 3 times that I am lucky to have him as my person cause he is the fastest (the 2 people behind me in line were done before me), and also said that I was lucky to have such a good rate.

Apparently shopping rates makes me lucky! To make matters worse, when returning the car there was no lot attendant so that took over a half hour. The only person who offered up an apology was the van driver who had started that week and wanted to quit because he saw the poor customer service every day. I filed a complaint directly with the company that has not been answered in over a month. Spend the extra money and go with ANYONE else and actually enjoy your vacation!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I went to Vegas for only a few hours before I flew right back to LA. Priceline gave me a "deal" with Fox. After taking the shuttle to the car rental area at McCarren Airport & after Priceline got me the "deal" with Fox, I then had to take ANOTHER shuttle to the Fox facilities. When I got to the Fox facilities, there was a very long line & not enough customer representatives. The reps working the counter spent at least 20+ minutes with each customer. It took almost an hour to get to the representative. Remember, I am in town on business for only a few hours, so time was of the essence.

When I finally got to the representative, I gave him my credit card (not a debit card) & the agent told me that he was going to put a hold of $150 on my credit card. I balked & said, why, I already paid for the car rental with Priceline. The very rude agent could care less. I was so livid that I had wasted so much time trying to rent a car from Fox, I balked and said, no way & left. So, I walked out. Then I had to wait for the shuttle to take me back to McCarren Airport to rent another car. On the way back, I decided not to waste any more time to rent a car & so I called Uber to take me where I needed to go. All in all, I was 2 hours & 20 minutes to my meeting. I tried to explain what happened & everyone was biting their collective tongues. Also, I no sooner got there when I had to return back to the Airport to catch my flight back to LA. I will never, ever deal with Fox again.

Original review: April 2, 2019

At San Francisco airport found one of their service counters closed and redirected to another where they were understaffed with a very long wait. Attendant indicated he must cancel and put the reservation back through since paying for the car on a different credit card than reserved. That process apparently inflated the price considerable. After insisting multiple times that insurance was not needed or wanted, found that I was charged anyway. The $150 refund they promised didn't happen and my credit card company was good enough to make me whole when I disputed the charges. Another unpleasant experience with Fox at the same airport was when they withheld the car (convertible) that had been reserved because they said they didn't have one available at the time. After insisting, they finally came up with a convertible.

Original review: April 2, 2019

We rented from FOX simply because it was cheap. Waited for shuttle over 1/2 hour to pick up. All other shuttles arrived. Took cab. Paid $18. Was supposed to be reimbursed but wasn't. Don't take toll package, it's a rip-off. Women told us we needed to take this because tolls don't take cash, but this is a lie. Spoke to "corporate" and she said she would credit us after our vacation, but we can't reach her on her "Cell" anymore. Don't be fooled by the cheap price.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Do not rent from this company. Their hidden fees are outrageous. I rented a car for 335$ USD total. When I got my final bill is was 974$!!! They charged me liability after I said twice I absolutely do not need it. They said I needed the toll pass for 8$ a day- total 60$ but in reality I could have just paid cash through the tolls (I had even told them my route and he insisted). I asked for it to be removed and she said - sorry it’s with another company. When I asked for liability to be removed she said the rental agreement was signed and she can’t. There were other hidden fees on that I am still waiting for an answer on.

When you are signing the contract you can’t see what you’re signing because it’s on a small pin pad that you have to scroll through and I think that’s how they add the extra charges and say “oh too bad you signed it”. I’m shocked they can operate, and yes the line was an hour wait- and we were third in line with about 10 people after us, I felt awful for the people behind us. Stay away from this business, they use tactics that are very low and not honest. Your bill will be huge.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Unprofessional employee, incompetent customer service, dirty cars. If you can afford to go somewhere else please skip Fox rental car in Ontario, CA and be aware of the drivers on the parking lot driving like crazy. Another thing they won't pull out the car for you, you have to go and wondering on the lot to look for your rental car.

Original review: March 25, 2019

This is the worse rental car experience I have ever seen. We rented a 2018 Ford Fusion for $43.85 per day for 8 days and the bill came out to $1,060.05 after all the hidden fees which did not include a refueling charge as I returned the car full. The list of charges is below, half of which are BS. AZ Vehicle fee $42.69, AZ Tax $90.61, PHX CONC $85.36, Surcharge $24.98, FMF $11.28, CFC $48.00, UPSELL $159.92, LDW $137.92 and ERF $7.52.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I needed to upgrade to a bigger vehicle because we had more people join our vacation party. I reached out 1 month in advance to upgrade. I was told I would have to upgrade when I got to the counter (explains why so many complaints are about long counter lines!). I didn't fully understand why I couldn't now and I never got an explanation. I then asked if they had a specific type of vehicle since the website didn't advertise the bigger one I wanted. I never got an answer, just a "I can't guarantee what vehicles will be there".... Thanks, that really helps with my vacation planning.

Frustrated, I decided to just cancel my reservation and take my business elsewhere only to find out, since I "Pre-paid", I don't get any of my money back! Other rental car companies charge a $50 cancellation fee on pre-paid rentals... I can swallow $50 easier than $250. I asked what the big deal is in cancelling, especially a month in advance and I never got an explanation. Not wanting to give them another penny, I wrote them to cancel my reservation and also expressed how un-accommodating they are towards customers. 2 weeks went by and I didn't get a response so I contacted them again. 4 days went by, no response. I tried AGAIN to a different e-mail only to be responded by the same vague "customer service" rep that I was working with before. This company does not go out of their way to help customers or even explain why their policies are the way they are. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME!

Original review: March 21, 2019

These are the facts. My son who is 22 yrs old rented a vehicle and I made his reservation online Using his bank debit card and his email the night before he flew to Tampa Fl. He arrived later than his time to pick up by a few hrs. He was told he couldn't use his card without a flight back. He was told to purchase a ticket. He was not planning on flying back because he was meeting friends in Englewood and driving back 5 days later. Called us told us he was stuck at the airport and they would not rent to him. I tried calling Fox Rent A Car several times to be told, "You have 10 callers ahead of you" and proceeded to wait for over 30 minutes and the call was never answered.

I tried 3 times. Meantime my Son is trying to rent a vehicle. He went back and was told to buy the ticket then come and we will rent. So he does. Returns back To Fox rental and is quoted a new price because his pick up time has expired. So instead of the cost being 227.00 it's now 500.00 and 400.00 cash down. He felt like he didn't have any choice and just paid it and he didn't want this experience to ruin his vacation. This is not right and I believe this is a SCAM!!! So if you come across a great price it's too good to be true! This is disgusting to me. Both my husband have rental business and would never treat or take advantage of anyone like this. Stay away from them.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I'm so glad that I read all the previous reviews AFTER I made my reservation... which I immediately canceled! There is nothing good to report on this organization except maybe their cheaper rate but if you can't get your car, you have to pay extra, have bad service, isn't your time worth something. I tried to chat online with them and waited for 21 minutes (the estimated wait time) and no one ever came online. This is just an example of poor customer service. Not sure how they manage to stay in business.

Original review: March 20, 2019

The entire experience is bad, hard to navigate site, no cars ready at the rental center, long lines, indifferent staff who just don't give the impression of caring and so much more, low cost is a low service.

Fox Rent A Car Company Information