1.15/5
Based on 140 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

801 Fox Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 19, 2018

Picked up a two week rental in San Francisco CA for a two week rental. There were 3 workers and 3 people in front of us and it took 2 HOURS!!! The employees were slow, 2 of the 3 were incompetent. The employee who we ended up with told us our reservation was too complicated and made us wait some more for the "manager", even though the manager had NO PROBLEM finding our reservation.

Then, we get to our minivan which was filthy and the key fob did NOT work, only could unlock the doors from the driver's side, once opened and hit the unlock button a bunch of times! The passenger, 2nd row door was broken and the brakes were shot so that was a LOT of fun while driving through the mountains of CA and OR! Then the "manager" told us he would give us the return gas fill up for free and when we returned the minivan they tried to charge us for it! Unbelievable! We rent twice a year and have never reviewed a company in 10 years of travelling but had to put it out there for ALL to see.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Very frustrated with our car rental today! The price we were asked to pay was twice the price we were quoted as an estimate through Priceline. The fees that we were not told about including insurance, toll pass, and deposit. I was very shocked at the amount we were charged after being told that it would be half as much. We will not be using Fox Car rental or Priceline since neither can be trusted.

Fox Rent A Car Reviews: What To Know | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 17, 2018

Rented a full-size SUV for my family of 6 to do some sightseeing in San Francisco. 7-14-18 @ 10 a.m. thru 7-16-18 @ 5p.m. our total charges were $336.77 thru AARP travel. When we arrived at 9:52 a.m the rental desk upstairs was closed and sent everyone down to another Fox rental desk with an extremely long line. We waited in line for 2 hours to get our car the clerk (Rocky) said, "I am sorry we have nothing to accommodate 6 but I will take care of it. Give me a few minutes." At this point we were already running 2 hours behind and were driving to San Jose to tour Winchester house for a 2:40 tour.

The clerk sent me an e-mail and sent me to the Hertz rent a car. We received a rental SUV from Hertz at 12:04 p.m. at which point we had 2 hours to get to San Jose or lose tour money. We started giving ourselves 4 hours of time to get there! The Hertz rental he had arranged was a 2 day rental and mine with Fox was a 3 day so I had to add on the 3rd day because of our timing. Now our Hertz total was $808.71. I had to spend more time and go back to the Fox rental agent (Rocky) so he could make a copy of my Hertz bill. Every time I asked about the 2 versus 3 day rental he insisted he was taking car of it.I left there with a copy of a paper stating 2 day rental and a very different amount that I should be refunded Rate difference per day $131.88 for 2 days? What happened to my 3rd day and time?

He has the competitor's rate showing 468.00 but again that was for a 2 day rental. I made a 3 day rental. My $808.71 car rental versus my Fox Car rental of $336.77 is a difference of $471.94 also I had to pay $100.00 for prepay gas which would have only been a $50.00 charge at FOX would be car difference of $471.94 and $50.00 for gas totaling I should be refund of $521.94. Just saying they are very bad service and there is certainly something fishy about my situation. I have no paperwork telling me a correct amount of refund or when and how to get it...

No more Fox Rent A Car for me. I used them only one time before in Fort Myers beach they have great prices but all else is bad. That car was filthy dirty inside and out someone previously left sunglasses and candy/gum wrappers in the car and it had a continuously low tire that we maintained while we were on vacation. However we rarely drive in Fort Myers and thought, "Oh well." And never complained. This time it is bad very bad!!! Never rent there again.

Original review: July 17, 2018

First you have to wait forever to get a car. I got mine for 4 days. When I wanted to extend the rent, I wasn't able to do it online. When I called customer service, it was IMPOSSIBLE to reach them. I was put on hold for hours and I tried to call them on different times for 2 days. Ended up paying the penalty for rent overdue. That's not good at all.

Original review: July 16, 2018

There was not less than one star. Otherwise they deserve -ve stars. Fox Rent A Car bad location to rent a car. Could not find my contract for half a hour. Thanks God I have email on my phone to show them. Poor customer service people insisting me I cannot rent a car without buying insurance from them. When I extended my contract for 6 days they send me confirmation email 20 dollar for rental extension. When I went to return the car they told me it is not 20 dollar. It is 20 dollar per day. Fox Rent A Car is Rip off company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?

Original review: July 16, 2018

If I could give negative stars I would give as many as possible. I am 55 years old and this is one of the worst companies I have ever encountered. I felt so bad for the employees that tried to help me that I could not complain to them. Their hands were tied behind their backs. It took me longer to get a car at 11:30 at night than to fly from the West Coast to Denver. They had no cars available. Not one customer that stood in line for more than 1.5 hrs was satisfied. They gave me a dirty and old vehicle that had so little gas it almost did not make it out of the parking lot.

The 3rd vehicle given to me as a replacement for the first one (2 hours later) was satisfactory and had gas. The check out equipment did not work; another delay. The staff finally said, "Just don't worry about it". Every single person on the shuttle back to the airport, after returning their car had a similar story and said they would NEVER EVER use this company again. Take this as your warning. I don't care if they offer you a free car, it will turn out to be one of the worst consumer experiences you have ever had. Close the Fox Rent A Car window on your browser right now and DON'T back.

Original review: July 14, 2018

We are arriving at 11:30 pm and inadvertently selected wrong date for pick up. I thought “no problem, we’ll just add an additional day to rental.” We were told that because we Paid Now modifications were out of the question. I asked if we could just attach an extra day to beginning of rental and we were told that we’d have to make a separate rental, return to airport to pick up our original reservation. This is our vacation and returning to airport would waste a whole vacation day. The $70 cancellation fee is high enough that I’m not eager to pay it on principle but at this point I’m not even able to look forward towards our family vacation!

Original review: July 13, 2018

When booking my rental car online with FOX there are two options "PAY NOW" or "PAY LATER". I chose the pay now due to it gives you a little bit of a price break. That same day I booked the rental, later in the evening, I checked my confirmation. When checking I noticed that the rental rate had dropped by almost half. And before booking with FOX, I did a lot of searching to find the best price. I called that day to see if I could get the reduced rate. The answer was NO. The lady said when you select the "PAY NOW" option you are locked into that rate. I then said I wanted to cancel my reservation. She told me that I would not be refunded. I would get a credit for future rental minus $70.00. I then called my credit card company right away to see if I could cancel thru them.

The total amount of $414.73 plus $150.00 deposit was already on my charge card and my trip was more than a week away. The credit card company could not cancel charge unless I canceled the rental car first. I was stuck with the car and the high rate. So beware with this company as they are not flexible at all. I have rented cars before with other agencies and they were always accommodating. I do not recommend renting with this company as there are plenty of other agencies that have better customer service and are willing to bend over backwards to make the customer happy. This company is a SCAM!!!

Original review: July 13, 2018

I’ve never written any review, only put stars or one word when asked for a review. But yesterday we experienced something I can’t put out of my mind. Waiting more than one hour in the line was the best part. The agent (Brenda) at San Francisco airport Fox Rent A Car was impolite, almost aggressive, instead of answering our question started to threaten us with canceling our reservation... Talking with us in imperatives, almost in a hostile intonation... At some point she almost got herself in some hysterical mode. Being very unhelpful, disrespectful to us. Never experienced anything like this. Other agents seemed very nice to other customers. I will definitely avoid this company in the future, however I believe this is not their usual policy.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I rented a car online for Fort Lauderdale FL and scheduled it for the 10th to the 12th of July. When I got there on the 11th they had canceled my rental, I then went back online and from their business and they told that I couldn’t get a car because it was scheduled for the 15th to the 18th of July. I told that was a mistake and to put the 11th to the 13th in. They said they couldn’t and that I would to cancel and start over but they were keeping $70 of my money. I called customer support and was told that they would change it but I had to rent a car from them or get a credit. I told them I wanted a full refund and they charge my card the $150 deposit and the $87 for the rental and it July 13th today. I’m home and never used their services. Please be careful with this computer!

Original review: July 11, 2018

Rented a small car from Fox in Denver. Price was way higher when I signed paperwork, they never included all the taxes and such on original quote and the lady CSR had personality of dry popcorn. The shuttle driver both ways was the best part of my experience. Go to pick up my Versa that I rented. They chose to give me a car that had filthy seat and floor was still filthy from previous person. I got the manager and said this is not acceptable. I asked if they clean the seats between customers. I was told no. She proceeded to give me a red Camry. But another Fox client came up and stated that was his car. I was getting ticked as my vacation time was ticking away. She finally came out and said, “We are giving you an upgrade for free.” She puts me into a Ford Explorer...did I mention I wanted a Versa?

I hate larger vehicles that are like driving an ocean liner. But I wanted to get started...thing sucked the gas and first time I went to fill up...no gas cap. WTF? I suffered through this week. Two weeks after I get home I get a bill for about $58. $12ish for tolls and $45 dollars administrative fees. Stay away from Fox. They give you cars that are not clean and mislead you on the online pricing. I was quoted like $245 originally I ended up paying over $340 before tolls and administrative fees. They don't tell you what true price will be after taxes. By the way when I loaded up the explorer there were nacho chips on floorboard and empty plastic soda bottle rolling around in back. STAY AWAY FOR YOUR OWN SAKE! They never even responded to my complaint. Not so much as we are sorry for the product you received.

Original review: July 10, 2018

We had a meeting with business partners in Houston. Rented a car from FOX for the first time. Car was OK, service from the managers was excellent since we left a few items in the car and they recovered everything except the umbrella. But that is where the Good Ends. I got the other guys beat on the tolls, we had 1.98 in tolls between Katy and Humble and back. 5 Tolls in all. This was the weekend of June 15th. On July 10th I get a letter explaining that I owe 1.98 for the tolls and 75.00 FREAKING dollars for the fees.

Hertz does not charge this much in fees, Enterprise does not charge this much in fees. The counter agent did not explain the plate pass option and I do not read the landfill brochures at the counter. THEY Should explain their policies especially if it is a new customer... Unfortunately this will cause me to think twice before renting from them again, even with the refund on part of the rental price. The manager said he would do as much as he could. It did not cover the 75.00 but made it a little easier to swallow.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I rented a car at SFO, needing it to go north of the bay area along 101. Coming back into the city there is a bridge toll at the Golden Gate. You can't directly pay the toll. Your car plate is photographed instead. The toll is $7.75... Fox later billed me for the $7.75, but then charged me an ADDITIONAL $15.00 for "administrative fee". Complete ~200% ripoff. I'll pay the $22.75 charges, but I'll NEVER rent from Fox again. Slimey **...

Original review: July 5, 2018

This company does not serve its customers, instead trying to milk them for more money when it is most opportune for them. I booked a car rental with them from San Francisco to San Diego. The deal was better than what competitors offered at the time. This is their "bait and switch" tactic. They “bait” you with a rate that is better than that of competitors, so that budget conscious consumers book with them. However, at check in they "switch" by saying that the special rate is only for cars that are most available at the time. Then they go on to tell you that the only car they have available for that deal is a 15-seat van or something ridiculous like that. Of course, no sane tourist can accept such a vehicle, so they offer another special rate for a higher class car that is available.

Because in the moment, consumers can be stretched for time or have less options, they often get you to buy the higher rated car. I ended up paying $250 more than the original booking. In addition, they pressure you to buy insurance. If you don't buy insurance, they then tell you to buy a toll pass with a daily fee. They tell you that without the toll pass, penalty could be $90 for each toll. I didn't go for this and when I checked online it is very easy to register with the state to pay as you go. However, we didn't even run into any tolls on our trip. Finally, they add about $30 of transaction fees and charge a $150 deposit. This is a very dishonest business that takes advantage of consumers. Stay away or be warned.

Original review: July 4, 2018

BEWARE this place is a scam. First this place is far from airport and you have to wait for shuttle for long time. We had an SUV booked and upon arrival we got an SUV where baby’s car seat was not buckling up and other 2 SUVs were same also, so we had to get another car. They didn’t mention any extra charge for upgrading. Later they not only charge extra $160 but also they simply lied and charged $1.30 more per gallon oil. As we book through Priceline, they should have helped us but they didn’t. Not going to book any through Priceline again too.

Original review: June 29, 2018

We used American Express Travel to book with this company. Use Caution, as we reserved a Mini Cooper Convertable for a trip from Miami to Key West. They took our reservation and the day of the rental, they informed us they did not have a convertible and instead of another convertible, they were going to give us a Toyota Camry. If we wanted a convertible, we needed to pay 150% over the price we had. The customer service of this company is very poor and really should address that people have options and not just take customers for granted. When I told the customer service person of my dissatisfaction, he really could care less and told us if we don't want the car when we were to get the car in 30 minutes. VERY POOR.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Travelling from Minneapolis to Las Vegas by air then onto San Diego by a rental car from Fox Car Rental, made the reservation by a debit card which they accepted, charged $11.00 in advanced with a balance of $50.19 cents. When I arrived which took 3 separate shuttles from airport to rental office only to find new debit card rules were in force which I was not made aware of that included $400 deposit besides all the other extra charges I heard would be added (and not told by them), I was told at the counter that my card was not acceptable... I ended up stuck in Vegas for 2 days, then took a Greyhound bus home. Since then every single person I've met had negative responses for them. Avoid them if you want a good time, I hear they always add charges you are never told about. I got lucky, but I'm still waiting for my $11.00 return since I never got a rental.

Original review: June 21, 2018

We rented a car for our trip to Denver. When we made the reservation the total including taxes and fees for 7 days was $307.92. for a Jeep Cherokee or similar. The rep at the counter INSISTED I pay $13.99 a day for Rental liability Insurance that I know my credit card covers and also INSISTED we needed to pay an additional $11.49 per day for a Plate pass to cover all the tolls we'd be going through.

The entire time we were there we didn't hit one toll. The total we were being charged was $532.36. There were all these additional taxes and fees PLUS $150.00 deposit. The rude lady, Jeanne at the counter asked if I wanted a Kia Sportage and how it was a nice car. OK... well when we got outside to get in the car, it looked like it was driven through miles of rosebushes, I don't think there was spot on the car that wasn't scratched, the tires were well worn and the windshield wipers just smeared the rain and it was difficult to see. The car was washed & vacuumed but still filthy. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Fox Rental charges $15.00 process fee on top of $3.00 toll fees. I believed I would have no problem avoiding toll roads upon leaving rental agency. Apparently just passing by toll roads constitutes use. I was very aware and avoided toll road use. Beware in Denver CO. You will be billed within days and charged to your credit used in the rental. Curious how Fox never notified me of Any added fees or about refund of ridiculous down payment which it demands and claims to return baring any Additional charges. Stay Away from Fox Rental.

Original review: June 21, 2018

On 5/25/2018 I made a one day car rental - from 8/26/2018 - 8/27/2018. I used FoxRentacar.com pick up from SJC airport, and return SFO airport. The 1 Day cost is $10.85. I choose use pay now to save $3.00, the total charge is $50.44. After I click through and paid with my credit card I found out that Fox Rental car will CHARGE $1,000 Security Deposit to my credit card. Within few minutes after my reservation, I try to use Chat with Fox Rental Car to cancel this reservation, the rep from Fox Rent a Car Name: Kaan told me if I cancel this reservation Fox Rental car will charge me $70. This is almost 4 month in advanced reservation, I thought the Security Deposit is for when I go Pick up the car at SJC and return to SFO. Period.

On 6/18/2018 I checked my credit card balance. I notice that Fox Rental car on 5/28/2018 had already charged my credit card $1,000 and the $50.44 for this reservation. In this case if I don’t have the $1,000 to pay for my credit card, I will end up pay the credit card interest for 3 month which is about additional $60. So I call Fox Rent a Car on 6/20/2018 try to reasoning with the Customer Service Manager, his Fox Rent a Car employee ID: **. No matter what I explain to him, he insist that Fox Rent A Car will charge whatever the reservation cost, which means Fox Rental A Car will charge me $50.44. I do admit that when I make the reservation I did not read the text carefully under “Security Deposit Charges”: YOUR CREDIT/DEBIT CARD CHARGES “SECURITY DEPOSIT” CHARGES ON YOUR CREDIT/DEBIT CARD. Estimated Total $50.44 ** Security deposit will be calculated before final payment.

I firmly believe that is not reasonable that Fox Rent A Car to charge whatever they want for Deposit. Within few minutes of reservation I want to cancel this reservation. They want to charge me $70 for cancellation. And from here https://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/fox.html many consumers had complain about Fox Rent A Car use the security deposit to overcharge.

Two reasons I am cancelling this reservation: 1. I don’t want Fox Rent A Car have the advantage to deduct whatever they want from my Security Deposit after I return the car. 2. If I keep the reservation, I need come up $1,000 to pay my credit card this month. If I do not have the $1,000 I need to pay credit card interest. The APR Rate is 16.74% for 3 month. 3. I decide to cancel my reservation. They will not refund my reservation total: $50.44, after I receive the cancellation mail: The Pay Now cancellation fee of $70.00 has been charged to your account. The one day rental was $10.85 rest of are tax and fees which I do not rent this car.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I rented a car from Fox online June 13-18, 2018 and paid the full amount in advance. At the counter at the time of pickup, I was told that I would have to pay an extra $30 to "cover the cost of the online renter" - thought this was bogus but what can you do when you're at the counter? When I reviewed my credit card statement afterward, they had added an extra $127. Even their own receipt doesn't account for the extra charge. Of course, I'm protesting this through my credit card company but who needs that hassle? I'll NEVER use Fox again. Wish I had found the reviews posted on Consumeraffairs.com before I rented with them - now I see I'm not alone. These people are crooks.

Original review: June 18, 2018

1st and only time to use Fox. Only used b/c they were the only company open at the time we needed to pick up the car. When we rented, the attendant was very nice. She said it had a full tank of fuel, we could either go ahead and purchase that tank at their cost (which she said was cheaper) or we could return the car with a full tank. She said we could purchase full or half tank. I asked her if we purchase a full tank, what happens if we bring it back with half tank or more? She advised it would be prorated... So I purchased a full tank from Fox. After we got on the road, I noticed the fuel prices where actually lower than what I purchased from Fox. When we returned the car, it had a half of tank.

The attendant told me that there is no prorate, it should have been empty. I tried to contact customer service, the only thing I can get out of them is the car should have been returned with a full tank. I can't get them to understand and realize that I purchased a full tank from them before I left the terminal. I gave them my itinerary number, but evidently they are too lazy to actually pull that up and realize that I purchased a full tank. Their customer service is lacking customer service skills.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Fox uses third party to put low car rent cost to attract renters. The third party only charge me near half, sold me basic agreement (I knew all these later). When I arrived Fox counter, the staff did not honour confirmed booking, instead put me into new purchase process, demanding me add insurance due to local state law(the insurance was able to be waived when booking on third party online). The staff also lied about local state traffic ticket and cheated me to buy daily toll road pass. Total deceit and rip off.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Fox is the only company in Vegas that rents Jeep Wranglers which we needed for driving some questionable roads in AZ. When we arrived, the agent was totally bored and zombie-like, but she did a good job and there was no pressure to buy the gas ahead of time or add any over-priced insurance. The vehicle was in great shape. The shuttles to and from McCarran Rental Center were fast and pleasant. My only suggestion would be if you need a Jeep Wrangler and you can choose from more than one Jeep, don't choose based on color like we did. We chose a red Wrangler JK but later I realized it had passenger tires and not off-road tires. It still got us through some sandy stretches but pay attention to the tires if you are doing any off-roading.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Recently traveled to Denver and rented a vehicle from Fox Rent A Car. Did "Pay It Now" option for some slight savings. The one positive part of the experience was the patient man helping us with our reservation. However, it was snowing and no one walked us out to our vehicle, despite there being no line. My husband had to run around and find our vehicle. We prepaid for fuel (convenient and only $2.49/gallon). Last night, I was just reviewing our credit card bill and I see that we were overcharged nearly $100.

For one, right under our pre-paid fuel charge, there is a charge for fuel at $6.99/gallon for a total of $69.90. The rep I spoke to was quick to say that it was a glitch in their system because we ended up with a different vehicle than the original reservation stated and the pre-paid fuel charge didn't show up. This doesn't really add up to me since both charges were there on my bill. She was a bit too quick with that excuse and I wonder how many people are charged this and never catch it. Seems it would be easy to fix your software, so that if someone pre-pays for fuel there would be no way to also charge them for fuel upon return (i.e. those two charges can't both be inputted/generated). That amount was quickly refunded.

Additionally the taxes are not accurate and I couldn't even get an explanation from the person at the call center in their "Billing department" where there are apparently no supervisors available. Her response, "The owner says to charge that amount and so that's what we charge." Actually, the owner of Fox Rent A Car, doesn't get to charge whatever amount of tax he/she wants and can only tax items that are taxable. She was unable to do anything about the wrong taxes being charged to me. She said she would ask the local Denver rental office to call me and then I called back and spoke to a reservations manager who said that he was going to escalate it to their billing administration department, but neither could guarantee or confirm if someone will actually call me. Seems crazy in this day and age, that the only way to resolve this issue with Fox is to file a direct complaint with Denver's Consumer Fraud Unit, which I plan to do.

The Denver Rental Taxes (Fox charges 13.25% which includes a 2% ownership tax in addition to the regular sales tax of 11.25%) are overcharged by $15.72 and the Concession Recovery Fee (an 11.11% fee on the rental that rental car companies charge renters to offset the 10% airports charge them on their gross revenue) is overcharged by $8.77. The fact that the customer rep couldn't even explain the 13.25% tax and what it included was not reassuring. Prior to calling Fox, I verified with a tax expert at the Colorado Department of Revenue, who clarified what I suspected to be accurate and encouraged me to try to resolve it with them first, but informed me that I had recourse if they weren't helpful.

Last minor thing, they over-sold us on a toll pass that we didn't use and when I mentioned that to the billing rep, she said that I could have it refunded if the contract hadn't been closed. Well, that would have been super helpful information to know when we returned the rental or purchased the unnecessary toll pass. For the toll pass, I should have done more research, but want anyone else to know that if they get sold on something they don't use, Fox will supposedly refund you if you request it upon returning vehicle, prior to closing out your contract. Hard to think of all these things when you're rushing around with little kids to catch a flight!

I do not recommend utilizing Fox. The first five times I tried to call billing, I received an automated message that stated they were getting too many calls, asked me to call back later, and disconnected to a dial tone. If you have an issue with being overcharged, the employees at the call center have no way to adjust the charges beyond overbilling you for fuel. At this point, the amount of effort to get the rest of the money they owe me is almost not worth the time and effort, which I'm guessing is what they count on. I'm going to break down the fees for anyone else that is curious:

ERF (Energy Recovery Fee) = $1.31/day. CFC (Customer Facility Charge) = $2.15/day. CRSPF (Colorado Road Safety Fee) = $2/day. VLF (Vehicle License Fee) = $0.35/day. DEN RENTAL TAXES (Denver Rental Tax) 7.25% tax on short term auto rentals + 4% + 2% ownership fee (applied at rental company's discretion) = 13.25% of base rental and potentially includes car seats, navigation, etc but the above fees are not subject to this tax).

DIA CONC. 11.11 PCT (Denver International Airport Concessions Fee 11.11%) This is a charge that rental car companies have elected to transfer to the customer to recover the 10% revenue fee that the Denver International Airport imposes on them for the privilege of doing business at the airport. (Note: this fee varies from airport to airport). The tax expert I spoke to said that this fee shouldn't extend beyond the gross revenue for the vehicle (i.e. base rental and taxable items purchased). In my case they seemed to charge me Denver Rental Tax (13.25%) on a portion of the fees that is not taxable and they did the same thing with the Concession Recovery Fee (applying 11.11% to an amount that was not part of Fox's revenue). These padded taxes and fees add up quickly at these high percentages. Renter Beware.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Flew into Las Vegas after having paid $185.00 online to rent a car with Fox. The paperwork was very misleading and made it seem like we would only pay $40.00 on site before getting our car. We ended up paying $540.00 on top of the $185.00 (for 5 days) once we got to the rental site. Interestingly enough, Fox could not explain the initial $185.00 charge - they attributed it to additional charges. We were naive and found out we could have saved around $400 with other companies. Do not rent from Fox Rent A Car.

Original review: June 7, 2018

This is the worst company ever. Complete bait and switch. Apparently when you do a "pre-paid" reservation (I put in quotes because this is NOT a clearly explained policy), it is non-refundable if you cancel the reservation. Nothing actually tells you it's non-refundable, possibly the fine print, but no clear guidance when you are booking.

I booked a rental car for a few days for a trip to Denver. Ended up not needing it so I cancelled the reservation. The reservation confirmation email says in RED and BOLD, "Please help us to continue offering the discounted rates you have come to expect by kindly canceling your reservation should your plans change." NOTHING about non-refundable "pre-paid" fees. When I went to cancel, still NOTHING informing me about the fact that I would not be refunded. So shady! But OK fine, I can't this money back. BUT on top of that, Fox charged me an ADDITIONAL $150 (on top of the car rental amount I agreed to) and then after I cancelled, DID NOT REFUND all of this amount (they did refund a portion, but why not all???). I had to call customer service, was on hold for 30+ minutes, just to get the rest of the $150.00 back, not even the "non-refundable" car rental portion. Still not confident I will ever see this money - this place is a complete scam!!!

Original review: June 6, 2018

First of all we rented this through Priceline because it came up as cheapest, I have never had a problem renting with any companies in the past so I didn't bother to look up reviews of this one. BIG MISTAKE. First when we arrived to building from the DIA shuttle, we had to wait an extremely long time for the disgruntled agent to finally call us. Once we got to the counter the Lady agent seemed right off the start like we owed her something, very rude and short with us. We had just traveled all day and wanted to simply get the car and go (we still had an hour+ drive).

While she started to explain all the different fees (for example the toll pass where you pay ~$12/day just to be able to use tolls, which does not include the cost of tolls!) we said that we would be declining an additional coverage or add-ons because my credit card has really good rental insurance. This seemed to upset her and she said "Ook" in a very sarcastic manner. Next she said that I need to sign the initial multiple times, which she told me is saying that I am declining additional liability, road-side service, toll pass, etc. Finally, she had me sign the car damage form report (before you even able to even see the car), luckily the damage did actually match what was written.

The big trouble came after returning the car (which took a long time because they had a line of people waiting for one guy to scan in the cars). After returning home and seeing my CC statement, I realized that after they returned the $150 damage deposit, I was still paying ~$330 instead of the originally paid ~$190 I had from Priceline. I called them and after waiting for a ridiculous amount of time was able to speak to a customer service rep. His response was that I elected for the additional liability and road-side service.

I was dumbfounded, I explained to him that no, I had specifically and clearly told the Lady at the counter that my credit card offers these so I was declining these add-ons. I also explained that she repeated back to me that I was declining the services when she told me to initial in the screen (also the screen does not say what are you initialing for, you have to rely on the agent actually telling you the truth). The customer service agent just said that since I initialed the box I was out of luck. This still infuriates me to no end. My only recourse has been to dispute the additional charges with my CC. I explained to them exactly what happened and they put a note to request security tapes for the ~15 minutes before the rental time tag says.

This could have been avoided by scrutinizing the confusing bill they give you before getting in the car, but this was after a long day of travelling and I was more focused on making sure the damage report accurately described the car. Now I see why the Lady quickly stapled together all the papers with the bill on the back before calling the next person in line. In the end, Fox Rent a Car is the most shady company I have ever dealt with. Now that I have searched I have seen many reviews say the same thing has happened to them. I will likely continue to rent from this location in Denver and record the interactions on my phone in the future hoping to get them (specifically hoping for the same Lady agent) to try it again.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Before I left for Florida for Presidents week this year, I was told to take a look at Fox Rent A Car. I never heard of them before, but I decided to give them a try once I was given the car rental rate. On February 19, 2018 I picked up my car. Basically the rate was given to get me in the door because the gentleman at the desk proceeded to tell me that there were extra costs: SunPass, insurance, and taxes and other fees. My wife said you do not need the SunPass for where we are traveling to. Although I did not take the SunPass, I was so annoyed and wasn’t thinking clearly that I did take the insurance.

When I got in the car I realized I was on my wife’s Geico plan and did not need it. I called the phone number for which I ordered the car through. I was told there are no phones at the locations and that I needed to wait to speak to a manager upon returning the car. On February 23, 2018 that is exactly what I did. I spoke to a manager by the name of Andrew **. He fully refunded the insurance money. So, all's well that ends well.

Original review: June 5, 2018

100% bait & switch operation! The online ad price was $15 per day. The shuttle at the airport took over 40 minutes. After calling the 800 number and holding for 15 minutes, I was directed to leave a message. The rental counter process was chaos as most customers were arguing with agents. After being in line for 25 minutes, my agent informs me that there are multiple tolls to Miami and that "it is a much better deal to pre-pay the tolls". After pre-paying $8.99 per day, I did not go through a single toll booth!!! I was also told by my agent that my credit card did not cover the vehicle when I have used this card to cover rentals several times. After purchasing the insurance for $26.40, and returning home to review my card's rental car policy, the card did, in fact, cover the "liability" on the rental. An advertised price of $15 per day for 2 days, including the $15 deposit, ended up costing me $270! ($120 net). Never again.

Fox Rent A Car Company Information