2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.83/5
Based on 1,018 ratings submitted in the last year

Fox Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I wish I would have found all of these reviews before we booked with this place. They are the cheapest on Priceline for a reason. I booked and used my credit card to hold the booking, and they said it would be a pending charge and not go through until the booking was complete, the charge went through the next day. I thought it was okay because we were getting the car anyway, no big deal. We get to Denver in the middle of a snowstorm, we're headed to ski so we needed to upgrade to a 4wd vehicle. The girl was happy to upgrade us to something bigger for a bigger price. That's fine, we didn't mind paying extra for the safety and room, but what was originally a $350 booking, ended up totaling over $800! What?? We didn't want insurance or anything else, so she took it all off and it ended up being just over $600, which is still outrageous for 4 days, but what were we going to do? Walk to Copper?

She told us that our car was being cleaned and it would be about 10-15 minutes, and they would bring it out to us. We waited OVER AND HOUR for the car. While waiting we watched, no joke, 4 different customers bring the cars they just got back because there were things wrong with them. One man brought his car back because it had no gas in it! This place did not have their ** together at all. We asked the girl where our car was and she apologized and upgraded us to a larger vehicle "for free" but we waited another 15-20 minutes for that one too! The truck was horse beat to **, had more miles on it than my car at home, and had seen some rough times, but it got us there.

Since my husband was the driver the credit card had to be in his name, so we paid with his card, and the girl assured me that the "pending charge" on my card would be dropped. It stayed on there for the entire time and my husband's card was charged $900. I emailed the company and no response. We tried calling and were on hold for 35 minutes before we gave up. We decided that we would dispute the charges when we went to return the car. On the day we went to return, the building was filled with at least 100 people, all waiting in line pissed. We couldn't wait in line or we would miss our flight, so we waited for the shuttle that never came. We ended up taking an Uber to the airport, while everyone else waited.

This company is a SCAM. They are the worst. I disputed the charges with my credit card company because I was never able to get a hold of anyone at all to drop the charge from my card. We book rental cars all the time, and I haven't ever HAD to leave credit card information. It usually says you have the option to pay in advance or at the time of purchase, but this place required a credit card. I believe they have no intentions of fixing our claims, so if you have the same issues, which I am positive you will if you use this company, just bypass them and dispute the charges with your credit card company.

That was just SOME of the horrendous things that we experienced with this company, I didn't even mention that we waited for the shuttle for 20 minutes in the snow at the airport arrival, the place is an uninsulated warehouse, you return the cars to a crammed lot and they had the nerve to warn us about how any "damage" to the vehicle would be something we would have to pay for out of pocket. I wish I had taken a picture of this truck that they were so worried about us "damaging". It was already put through the wringer. DON'T USE FOX RENTAL CAR EVER. Heed all the scathing reviews.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Such a bad experience. Never again will I rent from them. Booked through 3 party (Orbitz). Paid a prepayment for 3 days for a total of 305. Rented the same day called and was on for for almost an hour and let know that I will be 30 min late. Guy on phone assured me I will be fine I had a 3 hour grace. Meanwhile I'm in a Uber for 60 dollars to JFK airport then boo ten mins after I get a call when I'm pulling up for them to tell me they don't have any cars and it will a cancelation fee after they informed me that it fine I be 30 mins late. Meanwhile I drove from a long distance. Company is rude. A scammer. Then to top it off I called Ortiz they contact them and they tell orbitz that the will find a car and then I would have pay New price which was 600 and then send them proof and they will try to reimburse me!! FIRST AND LAST TIME. DONT EVER EVER RENT FROM THEM!!!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

WORST experience at a car rental place. We ordered and paid online and already submitted the age group 18-24. Paid for insurance and all fees. Arrived at Fox Rent a Car and waited in line for almost 3 hours. By the time we got to the front, the worker informed us of another $400 deposit plus a $94 age fee which we were never informed about prior to this. Not to mention, did not offer to help us out at all discount wise even though we waited for 3 hours and was late to our Airbnb check in. Not to mention, we did not even receive the car that we were told we would get.

The worker then continued to yell at us for asking questions because we were confused about the extra charges. After mentioning about checking out enterprise prices, the worker angrily yelled and threw our cards back at us stating he does not have time for this and that he has a line behind us he’s worried about. AWFUL customer service. Then we returned the car (cleaned and scrubbed) so that we didn’t receive any extra chargers, and STILL got charged. Our cheap car rental ended up costing us more than everything else in our trip combined. Do not recommend this company to anyone!!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I will never understand how this company ended up with almost a 4 star rating. I will never rent from them again and would give them a negative rating if one was available. The very rude person I spoke with after finding additional fees on my credit card after the car was returned admitted that not telling us about these charges upfront was probably unethical but not illegal since I could find them in the very small print of the contract!! Wow! I get this answer after being on hold for over an hour while listening to a recording going on and on about how customer service is so important to them! I personally believe a company that admits to unethical business tactics should not be in business.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I flew in to Seattle. Got in at midnight. My company had rented a car weeks in advance. I get to the Fox terminal. I'm told it's not paid for. There was a deposit put on it but it was not paid for. They tell me that I have to use my card and they want a $400 deposit because I'm going to have to pay for the bill. My card has a security limit on a $500 a day. They told me they could not use the card on file because I did not have it on my person. That was the end of the conversation. I was literally stranded at the Seattle airport at 12:30 at night 1200 miles from home. I showed them my reservation confirmation showed them everything that I had and it did not matter. Finally I found that Avis was open. I went to them and within a couple minutes had a car rented, Fox was the worst experience of ever had in my life. Do not rent a car from them.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Just now. If I could give negative stars I would. They left us stranded at the airport with no "free shuttle". We finally called a Lyft and got to their lot where we were told their shuttle was broken down. We got a vehicle for 2 days. We had an original reservation that we were unable to cancel or extend. So we had to do 2 separate reservations. When we came back after 2 days to switch cars for the second reservation they would not rent us a car because we did not have a return flight.

When asked why they rented us one the first 2 days then AND charged us $400 security deposit they said the employee should have never rented a car to us to begin with and he has been reprimanded. And basically told us we are out of luck. We then went to Avis and had absolutely no issue. We will see how long before we get our 400 back. I'm a travel nurse coming to the community to vaccinate. I am appalled at this behavior and this company. Buyer beware! They are backhanded and sketchy.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

I paid in full before I arrived in Miami. The guy at the counter claimed I couldn't use my own insurance-Lie!! He said I needed the E-ZPass-Lie!! This is only company I have ever had a problem with in my 30 years renting cars. They shouldn't be in business. One big scam of a company. Keep away!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

The worst rental car company on the planet. Complete Scam, they don't even pick up at the airport, they overcharge for early return. That's SCAM. THEY DON'T GIVE YOU A COPY OF YOUR FINAL INVOICE. THAT'S ILLEGAL.. Every thing they do is against the law. Most MISLEADING COMPANY..

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

To set context, I regularly rent vehicles as part of my job and have done so for 30+ years. This by far was the worst ever rental experience I've had. Several years ago I did a Fox rental for a couple days so signed up for their rental points program. I noted their prices were inexpensive for a recent 60 day rental while in FL, so dug up my account info and booked the rental on their website. Upon arriving into Tampa I was told that I cannot rent for 60 days due to their policies that they need to inspect vehicles monthly and thus had to bring the vehicle back after 30 days to exchange for a new vehicle.

Despite my showing the reservation confirmation from Fox email, "June" claimed I made the reservation elsewhere. Furthermore, in a very condescending tone she loudly claimed so all could hear "Sir. We are a rental company, not a lease company". Of course she ignored the fact that the rental I made was permissible via their own website. I accepted that I would have to return to exchange vehicles. She then said I MUST get their rental liability insurance. I told her I did not because AmEx covers that (and I have literally done this several hundred times). June refused to give me the vehicle until I accepted their RLI, and with 10 people waiting and a desire to begin my vacation, I grudgingly accepted.

Today I returned the vehicle to exchange for a new one. Because I returned the vehicle per their instructions, they view the contract "complete" and did not have a reservation for the remaining 30 days. "You should have just extended the original" was the agent's response. I explained I was told I could not do that and had no choice but to bring it back. The agent could not provide the same advance rate I had booked for the 60 days, and rates were much more expensive now. In fact he told me I had to go online to make a new reservation...he was unable to do so!

'm standing right in front of him at their rental counter in Tampa International and he can't make me a reservation!! I'm now forced to make a same day reservation for 30 days in length and rates are 50% more than what I originally booked. I chose NOT to deal with Fox anymore and went to Hertz. I was originally quoted $1676.88 (before taxes) for 60 days and will now pay ~#3000. Do not be seduced by what appears to be lower rates. Worst car rental company EVER.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I recently rented a car from Fox Denver International Airport. This is my 1st time using Fox Rent A Car and is also the last time for sure. It’s not exaggerating to say Fox is the worst company of any kinds by far I have ever experienced in my 30+ years travel history.

1. It took almost 3 hours to get the car: more than 2 hours waiting in the line and additional 40 minutes for the car to be ready. This did not include about 30 min waiting for the shuttle. When the shuttle was finally coming, it is small, old and dirty, nowhere close to those of other companies that had come and gone at least 4 times during my waiting.

2. The price shown at Rentalcars.com is a trap. I ended up paid more than twice the reservation price because they said the small 2WD Mitsubishi Outlander Sports is the similar car to Jeep Grand Cherokee I booked. The retail price of Grand Cherokee is almost twice that of Outlander Sports. I had to pay a large amount of extra to get a slightly larger AWD car. Other companies also play the same trick but none to this extreme. I rented a Nissan Maxima from Avis before. They gave me a Chrysler 300. It was not what I wanted but not far off. Regulators should crack down this practice to force rental company list all their “similar” cars.

3. The car I finally got had several serious problems. The right-side head light was not on. The “low tire pressure” light initiated after about 5-mile drive. The driver side wipe is in such bad condition that the windshield was completely blocked after anti-freeze wash. I had to stop at an auto part store to replace the wipe blander myself. I haven’t mention that the car was very dirty and had 90,000 miles on it.

4. The staff are rude and unfriendly. They tried hard to sell you various of useless items. For example, a toll pass costs $17 a day. Colorado doesn’t have toll road. Only car pool lanes around Denver area used to charged fees but no longer now.

I regret that I didn’t check reviews. It is the lowest rated company. Its high score reviews are most likely fakes. When I was returning the car, I saw two other customers were complaining. I strongly discourage anyone from using this company.

Fox Rent A Car Company Information