1.20/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

927 Fox Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

This business seems more like a scam than a car rental company. I made my booking online because the prices were competitive. At the rental location, there was no record of my $90 deposit and I was asked if I wanted to buy insurance. I bought it and was told since I did that, they would upgrade my car free of charge (in my booking I requested an economy booking). They gave me an SUV instead. When I paid for the booking it was more than double what I initially thought I was paying. I was in a jam and in an unfamiliar city, and felt I had no choice but to just get the car, since there was a line of 10+ people behind me. The agent assured me I'd get the $90 and then the $150 deposit back.

It turned out I didn't need the car - so when I called to find out if I could cancel the booking and return the car, I couldn't get through an actual person. I had to resort to leaving a message for the road-side assistance people to get to a human. When I asked that guy to give me the direct number to the office, he didn't have one. He transferred me back into the endless queue of recordings. Ended up keeping the car and regret every second of it.

When I returned the car it took them 5 days to credit back the $150 - still waiting for the $90. Clicked on the 'live chat' box on the website and all it is is an email form. There is nobody live on the other end. It says they'll be in contact soon. I'm not holding my breath. Definitely, by far, the worst car rental experience of my entire life. The price was so outrageous that my company will not even reimburse me the full cost, so I am out at least $200. This place should be shut down. It's a total scam that takes advantage of tourists and business travelers in a pinch.

Original review: March 17, 2019

We flew into Fort Lauderdale on 3/8/19 and arranged a rental car through Fox Rental. We got our vehicle and had arranged with Fox to drop off in Miami where we were going on a cruise. Everything went well until the time to drop off the vehicle 3/9/19. The address we were given in Miami for the return did not exist and after searching 2 hrs for the location had to make a decision on what to do. I was forced to return to our hotel and leave the car parked for the 7 day cruise and extending my reservation an additional week (we only wanted a one day rental) for a ridiculous price.

Attempting to contact Fox Rental was impossible. Only got put on hold and eventually hangs up after long delay. Same thing occurred contacting the corporate office. When we returned from the cruise we were charged over $150 for parking. Drove back to Fort Lauderdale to return the vehicle which went smoothly. If you read this review, it should be clear that this rental company is a total sham and if you are smart stay away from this company as far as you can.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I reserved a Jeep Wrangler at Fox Tampa through AARP travel (Expedia). Had never heard of Fox before, but their prices seemed very competitive. Arrived at the appointed time for pickup to find a really long line at the counter. I waited over two hours to get to an agent. Was told that my reserved Wrangler was not available and was given a Mustang (no other options were offered). I was then informed that they were dunning my credit card a 150.00 deposit. The car was tiny and beat. It had 38k miles on it and dents and scratches everywhere. I informed the clerk that there were white paint spatters on it, to which she replied "we don't care about that." I returned the car on time with a full tank of gas. Just reviewed my credit card statement and saw that they only credited 97 of the 150 deposit back to my card. No explanation. Avoid this place like the plague.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Arrived at SFO airport at 11 PM to pick up our car, which we did have reservation. Only one Fox employee working and he showed zero urgency. There were 12+ customers in line. After 30 min, we went to another rental company and quickly and professionally rented a car. I do not recommend anyone to do business with Fox, nor will I.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Rented a van three months in advance only to find out there was nothing available for me after waiting in line for two hours. Had to rent from another company. Avoid at all cost. Apparently it’s first come first serve reservation mean nothing. They said it has been really busy the last couple days so no cars left. Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?

Original review: March 12, 2019

I was one of the thousands who ignore the countless negative reviews of Fox Car Rental and I paid for it. Had a problem with the car, called Fox roadside assistance, was given an hour window for service, and guess how long it took? NEVER - after six hours of waiting I called an Uber and retrieved the car the next day, paying for a private tow.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I wouldn't give this company a star unless it was forced to submit this review. I have had the worst experience with this rental company. I paid prepaid for the van I rented. When I arrived to pick up the van, I was told that there would be a good chance they didn't have the van regardless of reserving the vehicle weeks prior to our trip. The rep explained that reserving the vehicle never confirms that we will get it. Anyways, the rep overcharged us and we spent an hour at her computer while she tried to understand the charges. Mind you, it was 10:00 PM and we had two crabby toddlers with us. We continued to ask the rep what the charges were for and she became confrontational and said, "just trust me, we will figure this out and refund you." We didn't understand why were were triple charged over what we prepaid prior to arrival.

Eventually, the rep asked for another reps help and they couldn't revers the charges so we were told that we would receive a call the following day to explain the refund. We never got a call. We got the last van on the lot and had paid for a full tank. The tank was not full. The rep that showed up to the car said we should take a picture and send it in to gain a refund. So we did. Turns out that the moment we drove away, regardless of the picture and the recommendation by the rep, a refund was not to be given. We kept the van for a week and returned it on the agreed upon date. When we returned it, the office was not open yet so we couldn't check up on the refund promised with a rep face to face.

When we returned home from our trip, I called Fox Rent A Car to ask about our refund. I was told to contact the billing department because the care rep didn't see the charges I was talking about even though I had the receipt and paperwork in front of me. Simply, she wouldn't help me. I called the billing department and the rep argued that they did provide a refund even though by that time, I had been double billed by the company totaling close to $1,000 in extra charges over what I prepaid. I also asked what the charges were for and I was told that it was for a second driver, which I was the only driver. After 30 minutes of getting nowhere, I was hung up on.

I called back and the rep told me that the charges were for additional insurance, not a second driver, which I did not agree to. We had insurance through our own company and we paid for standard insurance when we prepaid. The rep didn't care and said that he could provide a credit, but not a refund. I told him that hell will freeze over before I use this company again. The rep argued that they did not double bill us regardless of the proof I had. Then the rep got quiet and hung up the phone. So, I continued to call back and continued to get hung up on. I tried using the online chat to get my refund and the rep will say hello, but never reply thereafter. This has been the worst experience I have had renting a car, and the most expensive. Two weeks later, I am still struggling to get assistance from this company.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I rented through Priceline, and the best deal was Fox. NEVER Again. I flew into Denver Saturday for an afternoon Avalanche hockey game. I left plenty of time for picking up the car and getting to the game. Upon arrival, the wait was approx 20 min to get to the counter. Not quick, but I understand they were busy. It took the guy another 20 minutes just to process me for a reservation that was already in their system. So I am upset at this point, but the fun had not even begun. He told me it would be, you guessed it, another 20 minutes until they would bring my car up to the front. Are you kidding me?

Now, wait for it, 40 MINUTES LATER I'm throwing a fit, along with many others, because I still did not have my car. Never again. Missed pre-game and 1/3 of the first period. The ONLY bright spot about my experience was when I returned the car at 4:30 AM, there was a guy with a big smile on his face waiting for me. SUPER nice guy, thanked me, told me to have a great day, and pointed to the shuttle. (Which had filthy seats, and wrappers and trash on the floors. AT 4:30 AM???)

Original review: March 8, 2019

Horrible customer service. Full of hidden fees, they make you pay for tolls and other stuff that you and up not using. Nasty people at the counter. Not recommended. They made me pay for a full tank of gas ($50) when I bring it back almost full they say, "Sorry it's our profit."

Original review: March 7, 2019

I had to give at least 1 star to leave a review. I would rather have given none. I rented a car from Fox Rent A Car in the Chicago area on December 12th, 2018. I was asked if I needed to pre-pay any toll road use. I made it clear that I was not familiar with the toll road system around Chicago and asked if there were toll booths along the way. I received some vague response that led me to believe that it would be clear if I was on a toll road. I specifically asked if there would be places where I could pay along the road with cash. The answer was not clear, but led me to conclude that there would be.

It turned out that there were NO toll booths on the roads. It is all done with cameras. I went online to check if I had been on a toll road and concluded that I had not, based on the route I had taken. When I turned in the car I again asked about this and got no clear answer. Today, March 7th, 2019, nearly three months after the rental date I received a bill for $46.30 for the unpaid tolls plus an "administrative fee." The total toll amounted to $1.30. Two 40 cent tolls and a 50 cent toll, plus three $15.00 "administrative fee" charges for each unpaid toll.

Did this happen because the employees don't have the answers to such questions regarding the toll road system? Do they not have this information because Fox Car Rental can't be bothered to train them to give informative answers. Does Fox Car Rental instruct their employees to give vague non-informative answers to such questions? I have no idea. I do know, however, that Fox Rent A Car has gotten an extra $45.00 out of me due to a lack of clear information provided to me when I requested it. That more or less doubles the cost of that one-day rental for. This $45.00 "administrative fee" is absolutely the last money Fox Car Rental will ever see from me.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Do yourself a favor, and read ALL the reviews here before renting from this company. They are 95% consistent in having a negative experience. I have rented from Fox many times, and I signed up for their Rewards program. I accumulated enough points to get a rewards certificate by a credit back to my card. I have squabbled and squabbled and squabbled with the rep from this company who sends me in circles by email never giving me the credit on my card playing games even though I'm entitled to it and never issuing it to me. I have spent THOUSANDS in rentals, and this is how you're treated, leading people on and not giving them the rewards they rightfully earned.

Their rates may be low, but you will pay the price with how you're treated like dirt. They have overcharged me on taxes time and again, and how they're still in business is a mystery to me. They should be shut down by the state of California for unethical business practices and overcharging. The wait times in line are outrageous, and they never have enough counter personnel. If you dare say something to them, they give you dirty looks and then look for ways to block you from renting in retaliation. The hold times on their customer service phone line tend to be for an hour which is unacceptable also. Stay away at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

The wait at the airport to get my car was at least an hour. They need to hire more people at the airport to assist customers in picking up their cars. The car itself was fine. The price was also good. Getting to bed an hour later (2 am) was not worth the, at most, $30 we saved.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Fox advertises extremely low bargain rates but NOBODY ever walks out of the dealership paying what they thought they would. Fast-talking salespeople you can hardly understand talking you through various deceptive and confusing questions and terminology which lead you to pay far more than you wanted to. They actually make you sign something that says "My signature here agrees to all terms in this contract even though I will not find out what it costs till the end of the process". What kind of BS is that?

This is a scummy ripoff scam posing as a legitimate business. I paid four times the advertised rate by the time they were through with me and you'll likely do the same. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. You will pay less money at a respectable company that advertises a higher price than from these scumbags advertising prices they have no intention of honoring. Honestly words can not adequately describe the loathing these people inspire in me. It's a sad and disappointing comment on human nature that a business like this exists in the first place.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I booked a car with Fox in Miami through Orbitz. Shuttled from airport to crappy little place where English is second language for all employees. Waited in line for 40 minutes. Finally got car and headed to Ft. Myers. About two miles along on Hwy 75 I had a blowout on front passenger side tire. Made it to left median on four lanes of fast traffic and called Fox roadside. On hold for 16 minutes (while recording assured me that Fox strived for the best customer service) before sent to voicemail. I finally risked my life to change tire. They called back in an hour and 45 minutes!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I booked a car online for my visit in Arizona. During my booking I didn't realized, that I selected the wrong month. When I arrived and the guy at the counter told me I booked the wrong month, I feared I had to pay a higher price. But he managed to get me the same deal even the date was completely wrong (4 months in the past). The deal was very good, because in the glove compartment of the car was a receipt of a previous renter with a higher price. The return was without any problem and I received my deposit 2-3 days later.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I went through Expedia to rent a Dodge Challenger through Fox Rent a Car while we were on vacation in Delray, Florida. Fox Rent a Car was near the Fort Lauderdale airport. Expedia gave me a price of $89.10 a day. When I arrived at Fox, I was told that the Challenger had undercarriage damage and had 80k miles and the car was not available. I was told that they could provide a Mustang convertible and when asked how much this would be, I was told that the typical cost is $150 a day but they could do it for $50 a day. Since this was cheaper, I went with the Mustang.

On the form it states a minimum of 4 days at $89.10 per day not to exceed $356.52. When the car was returned I was told that the cost was $760. When told that there was a mistake, I was told by the manager that I upgraded to the Mustang and that's the reason for the higher cost. When the manager was informed that the reason that I went with the Mustang was because Fox Rent a Car could not provide me with a Challenger he said that he could meet me halfway. When he was told that was not acceptable he said that's all he could do. By the way his halfway was to knock $100 off and the cost would be $660. Since Fox Rent a Car was unwilling to fix my issue, I have contacted my credit card company disputing the total cost. I WILL never rent another car from Fox Rent a Car. Pay the extra cost and go to a legit company like National, Hertz, Avis, etc.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Horrible experience with FOX Car Rental at Denver International Airport -- VERY POOR customer service from desk agent -- Ashley and supposed manager on duty -- Keith. Ashley was rude, sarcastic and unaccommodating in every way!! She lied about cars that were available -- Needed an AWD for driving in the snowy mountains -- not even a snow brush or scrapper in the car -- Seriously??? Drivers seat was broken -- could not move it AT ALL. Oil had not been changed for over 20,000 miles. Car was FILTHY!! Ashley lied about toll costs when we asked specifically for help with directions and how far we needed to travel on Toll Road. Completely spoiled our vacation -- we could not travel on some of the roads in Rocky Mountain National Park. DO NOT EVER RENT FROM FOX -- you will be so sorry!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

TLDR: Sullen counter person, good car. But I ended up paying a $15 "admin fee" (which they charged automatically) AND a $27.50 fee for using some kind of toll lane without having a transponder. Which the person at the counter gave me NO information or warning about. We got into LAX at about 4pm on a Saturday. The counter is not in the airport, so we caught a shuttle, which was pretty easy and the driver was nice. When we got to Fox Rent A Car there were maybe 3 other people/groups and we go to the counter almost immediately. So far, so good. The person at the counter looked like he wished he were anywhere else - did not smile, spoke in a monotone (but not a cool monotone like Spock - a dull monotone). His behavior did not quite rise to the level of rudeness, but it was certainly not great customer service.

We were told to take the contract go to row such-and-such (I forget the number now) and pick any car. We did, and there were a couple of decent choices. To be clear, the car ran great the whole time we had it; the car part of the experience was fine. We returned the car right on time (which we were extra careful about because they charge you if you return it EARLY - I've never heard of anyone else down that, but figured it was worth it for the cheaper price of the rental).

About a week later I got a letter stating that Fox had received a toll violation for the car I rented, that they had "transferred" the liability for that to me, and were charging me a $15 "administration fee". And that I still had to pay the violation, which they provided no other information about. They said in the letter that this arrangement was all in the contract (which tells me that this probably happens a lot because they don't tell anyone about the situation and who the hell reads the ENTIRE rental contract? I've never run across this situation before when I've rented a car).

BTW, not being familiar with the entire LA freeway system, I was surprised that a) you had to pay a fee of anything on a WEEKEND, and b) it's super easy to drive in the toll lanes without being aware of it. I thought they were carpool lanes (you know, like a normal freeway) and there were two of us. I saw lots of other cars with only one person in the lane so I figured they didn't work on the weekends anyway. That's not Fox's problem, but it seems to me that they should have at least made me aware that there are toll lanes that require a transponder and how that works.

At the very least they could've provided information about the violation in the letter they sent (since they were charging me for it), especially since they stated that I was still liable for the toll. How much? How/where do I pay? These would've been useful information. My whole experience with Fox was that they didn't care about their customers and they just want my money with minimal effort on their part. Do yourself a favor: pay a bit more and go to a decent rental car agency.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

As I said, I rented the car through Priceline.com on Jan 13, 2019 through Priceline.com. I decided to try Fox Rent A Car for the first time. I checked the reviews and overall thought that they were good. I was extremely surprised when I got to the counter at SFO to be told that there was a sign stating effective 2/19/2019 there was an a $1,000 deposit fee for local customers only who live within 150 miles of the airport.

First of all, I understand a deposit fee, Priceline states that there are some fees. I rent a car six or more times a year so I am aware of the charges. The other agencies charge $100 to $500. I have never been charged over $200. A $1000 was levied on local customers only is not only a mistreatment of the local business but ridiculously high, and I feel is totally unjust. Second of all I picked up the car on February 14th and am returning it on the date in your posting that says as of February 19th this fee was supposed to be assessed. Third, I was not notified in advance of me coming there and it was posted at the register. I was not told about the charge until we went over the contract. The agent said read the sign. I did and said, that I was not notified, the agent said it was on the website last month. I did not find anything noted in regards to the local customers being charged a high deposit within 150 miles of airport.

As I said, I understand and accept that companies have every right to charge a reasonable deposit fee. Something that is a fair amount matching the competition. The competition in the area does not penalize local customers or businesses with high hidden deposits. I will say never rent from this company. I sent an email to customer service requesting consideration the same day I picked up the car and again the next morning. To date I have not heard from the company regarding my complaint. Terrible, Do not recommend ever using Fox Rentals.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019
I booked with Fox Rent A Car a few days ago. I requested a four-wheel drive vehicle, and was told one would be available. I was headed up to Yosemite, and it was snowing, so I needed a four-wheel drive. When I showed up to the counter yesterday, I was told by the lady that worked there, a older lady, brunette, that there were no four-wheel drive vehicles available. So, I said, "Okay, no problem." She said that I could get a refund, and I have not gotten a refund. I never received my refund. And when I came back to talk to her, she claimed that they were working on it. I would not deal with this company if I were you, you guys. This company just lies. Their customer service is terrible, and they really have, basically, just stolen my money, and lied about issuing me a refund. They're impossible to reach via the telephone 'cause no one picks up. So, I'd really avoid them. I ended up using a different company instead. I worked with Payless Rental, which was a lot easier. This is not an ad for them. I'm just really disappointed by this entire experience with Fox Rent A Car, and I just really recommend you avoid this company at all costs. They're trash. It's an awful company.
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Wishing I would have read these reviews before using them. We received a downgrade from our reservation without a discount and were required to pay a $400 deposit even though their terms say it's only $150. We were on a quick business trip in San Francisco to handle an emergency with one of our customers. We had the car less than 6 hours. Our bill total was only suppose to be $61.10 including taxes. The hold on our card was $516.04. Once they released the $400 deposit, they kept the balance of $116.04. This is almost double what the total reservation was for and we didn't receive what we reserved. Listen to all these reviews and do yourself a favor... Use a more reputable car rental company. You'll save money and you'll save on all the aggravation.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I had to give 1 star because there wasn’t another option! It’s actually -10 stars!!! I recently rented a vehicle (** Feb 5th-9th) from you guys and had a 8:00 am check out. I was there at 7:30 am (Not a long line, maybe 2-3 people?). I waited in line to get a car, and was ultimately given a car. Upon checking out the vehicle, I noticed it was extremely dirty, not a little dirty, it was really bad! I went and spoke to someone, about this (actually the guy who drives the car from the wash, and he agreed and got the manager) and they ensured me they would get me a clean car? Car 2 was worse, mud everywhere, sticky stuff all over the place, it looked like a Frat Party happened in there right before I got the car, I laughed and thought, I’m on one of those shows where they prank you?

Got the manager again, and he apologized, and said this isn’t the quality and this is unacceptable, and guaranteed me again a clean car, even stated over the radio to make sure this was spotless, let them know why and stated I had been waiting well over an hour and a half, at this point. But this time it’s already 9:30 am, maybe closer to 10 am. Btw the wife was at the airport pickup because I felt it was easier to grab the car then go and get her and our 4 yr old and a 1 yr old vs moving all the luggage all over the place and taking the kids in and out of the cold, So I waited and waited and finally got car 3.

Car 3 was worse and had mud all over the seats (This was the car the manager specifically said, "Make sure this one is spotless", I realize this is Fox standard at Denver Airport. I would be mortified, completely mortified knowing my company like Fox are not taking car of there customers, the cars are extremely dirty and disgusting, and believe is sub par inventory). So frustrated, my wife said just take it (Because she was so frustrated and the boys were restless), the boys are all over the place because it took almost 3 hours! And still a dirt car and the windshield wipers didn’t work to top it off? They seemed frustrated with me? Seriously? Again at this point I wanted to just leave and go to another car rental place. I was about to leave, It was so bad, I would have paid it, walked out and went to a competitor, and let them keep my money!

So I got the manager again, and he would take care of it for me? He stated this isn’t the standard and he apologize! But after 3 hours and 3 different tries, I was OVER IT!!! And the key didn’t work. It was a flip key and didn’t work. It took a few minutes to work the key every time! The manager also stated he would email me and take care of me for some of the worse service I have ever received. No email or call? So we go to the airport early because I knew it would be a long process. Get there, super long line, I asked for a manager, he comes, with a huge pile of chew hanging off his lips, his teeth were black from the tobacco, and literally spitting as he tried to communicate, he was a complete **.

I explained the problem, and let me tell you, this is what completely did it for me. He was extremely rude and argued with me raising his voice in front of about 20 customers. Said it wasn’t his problem, and "What do you want me to do?" He said he couldn’t do anything because he wasn’t the original manager? Seriously? Wow! This was by far the worse experience, WORST! I WILL NEVER EVER RENT FROM FOX CAR RENTAL, and I promise I will do everything in my power to let everyone know about the operation at Fox rental in Denver.

I was with another family and looked At their rental from EZ, yes EZ Car Rental, and was floored! It was super clean, smelled good. Go there!!! DO NOT GO TO FOX RENTAL CAR IN DENVER AIRPORT. So I realized again, that Fox Car Rental in Denver just don’t care about their customers! You almost ruined my family vacation, and by the sound of all the stories I heard from other families while I waited, I wasn’t the only one! Fox rentals just don’t care and the people they have running the show aren’t capable, unprofessional, and the managers are the worst I have ever come in contact with. Chew hanging out his mouth, like I’m not joking, Tabasco everywhere, stains all over his clothes and teeth. I was scared to get close to him!

I am an 11 yr military veteran, and let them know I didn’t appreciate their lack of just about EVERYTHING!!! This is 1000000% unacceptable and want you to know about what is going on in Denver! If you don’t care? Then don’t respond, but if you do, let’s start to Change, it starts with 1. It has been an exhausting task trying to get anyone from Fox Rent a Car Corporate. I know why they don’t give out their numbers. They are probably bombarded with complaints! I will NEVER rent from Fox again.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

After our flight to Phoenix we shuttled to the car rental. At 12pm there was a very long line and poorly unorganized customer service. At one point the employee was raising his voice at the customer. After waiting in line for several minutes we were told we had to follow them to the parking garage to continue with faster service. This was not a solution for service. We still have not gotten our car and the line has not moved! A serious disappointment! This company should not be in service if they cannot accommodate! DO NOT Waste your time! 1 hour and still waiting! I will see the sunrise from this car lot!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

If I could give 0 stars I would. WORST company ever! DO NOT RENT here!!! It's not worth it!!! We paid in FULL for a rental car in July for our January ski trip. We immediately were charged for the rental and $150 for a deposit. 4 adults and 2 kids arrived at midnight in Salt Lake City and had to wait over 40 minutes for the shuttle. NO ONE picks up a phone when you call so you literally just have to stand in the freezing cold and wait hoping they will show.

THEN we get there and they REFUSE to give us the car because we don't have the EXACT credit card we booked with. We had fraud on our credit card about a month prior so they sent us a new card but the account is exactly the same. I told the representative, "I can log into my account and show you where the charge came out and when the number changed due to fraud. It is the SAME exact account. I also have the confirmation from when I booked." He said, "Sorry, you can rent a new car with us for 4 times the amount and you WON'T get back your payment OR THE DEPOSIT." Absolutely unacceptable!!! I said, "No thank you, I will dispute with my credit card. Please take us back to the airport so we can rent from a reputable company." He said, "Fine." Then the driver arrived and said, "Sorry I'm not taking you back." We argued for a few minutes until he finally agreed to take us back.

We rented from a reputable place and did pay a bit more but still way less than they were going to charge us. It was after 2 am once we got everything sorted. Emailed and called Fox with ZERO reply. On top of that, the cars In their lot looked horrible, beat up and in bad shape. I can only imagine what would have happened if we would have been able to get the car. Probably would have broke down and left us stranded. Worst experience I've ever had and I've travelled all over the world. Never felt the need to write a review like this. TRUST me---DO NOT RENT FROM HERE!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Booked a flight and rented a car for my elderly mother to travel to San Antonio. All looked good and they didn't have the car we reserved when she arrived. Ok - they upgraded her at no cost. That was the good part. Goes downhill from there. They sold her every type of insurance, road-side assistance, etc. that totaled over $120 more for the 2 1/2 days she had the vehicle. The $49 rental turned into $179 for 2 1/2 days.

I asked them how they could do that to an older person and she said, "well, the salespeople don't ask if you already have insurance. That's not our job." WOW. Scamming elderly people however is. My mother is 78 years old and didn't know that her current insurance would have covered all of that. I went through a few more scenarios and all I was told was, "well, she signed the papers." I guess she's right. When you can scam extra money out of someone, especially someone on a fixed income, then that doesn't say much for your company. Especially with no offer to even correct part of the amount. Unfortunately, now my mom is stuck with paying the extra. Told them we'd never do business with them again. I guess now the lady at Fox knows that.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

First car: flat tire. Second car: problems with steering and brakes. Third time, tried to extend the contract and they wanted to charge me more for 3 days than the original 10 days cost. They said there was an additional $20 a day charge, which would equal $31/day. But $31 X 3=$93, not the $199 they wanted to charge me. We left our Sunpass in the first car. I drove 2.5 hours out of my way to pick it up. The woman helping me said she needed my Rental Agreement number and the transponder number. While I walked to the car, she left, even though it was still 20 minutes before Lost and Found was supposed to close. I was told to leave the information and a manager would get back to me the next day. 3 days later and I have not heard back from them. Steer clear of Fox Rent A Car, unless you like being taken advantage of.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Everything was fine with our rental car in Vegas, until we got the bill. They overcharged us and when we tried to call them they said we dropped the car off in Denver which obviously never happened. We were charge $150 for it. I think it was just a scam to get our deposit. Still dealing with the company to get our money back.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

There were about 10 of us that had reservations with no car. We were told that they were waiting for cars to return and we should go elsewhere. I have had that happen before where the car you reserved was not available but never told they had no cars to 10 people with confirmed reservations. The counter person said, “Sorry you came. Try the other rental people.” No effort was made to help find a car at all. I usually rent direct through Alamo, National or Enterprise Direct but this was recommended through Alaska Airlines when I booked my flight. Lesson learned and never would I use Fox Rent A Car again.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Fox the ripoff Rent A Car. They hold you hostage by taking forever to work through the line. After traveling all night, tired, and hungry, faced with additional hours of negotiation with the staff then driving in unfamiliar location, you weigh the alternatives and just let them take advantage of you. They extort more money out of you with scare tactics and threats to get you to buy upgrades. It would have been cheaper to get a Uber considering the extortion upgrades, and paying for parking most places you go in Las Vegas.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Booked an online car rental for 3 days in Tampa for an all inclusive price of $70. Great rate, right? By the time the unscrupulous sales folks scare you into taking insurance you don't need and add all these upcharges and fees, the $70 turned into almost $350! When you've been traveling all day, it's 10 p.m. and you're a female facing an additional hour's drive in an unfamiliar location - you weigh the alternatives and just let them take advantage of you. Hopefully someone will do something about FOX's lack of transparency and poor business model. They're not focused on repeat business, just robbing you one time and hitting up the next unsuspecting customer. Shame on you FOX Car Rentals!

Fox Rent A Car Company Information