1.14/5
Based on 143 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 24, 2018

766 Fox Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

This is a scam business. Yes they have cars and yes you can rent them but it stops there. They are not discount by any means. They use deceptive practices to get you on a contract, sell you extras as though they are mandated by the state you are renting in and once they get your credit card forget about it. They keep billing me for all kinds of things I never agreed to. They have great music when on hold, believe me, I've listened to it for hours. This place should be shut down. Do yourself a big big favor and stay away from this sham business.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Rented a car in Ft Myers for an advertised $7.00 per day, great because I only needed to drive it one way to Tampa airport the next morning. A lot of pressure to upgrade, purchase unneeded and already declined coverage at the counter. Unknown to me there was a cashless toll entering the Tampa area and several weeks after the rental I received a statement from Fox for the 78 cent toll along with a "reasonable" administrative fee of $15.00 - absolute extortion. Several days later a second statement is received for the same toll road for $1.99 and another "reasonable" administration fee of $15.00. Now I'm up to $32.77 for $2.77 worth of tolls on a $7.00 rental. Of course there was no mention of the tolling practices at the counter when I picked it up. Why would there be when these fees are a huge income stream for the company with a near zero actual cost to them?

Of course I then searched the internet for more information and found these scams are varied and widespread with the rental car industry. The whole process of Fox receiving the toll charge, payment to the authority, and billing to you and I is completely automated - so yes near zero cost to them. So how is $15.00 per toll reasonable? Now what options are available to the consumer? Don't rent from Fox: all rental companies are up to the same game. Buy toll transponders everywhere you rent a car: excellent another burden with its own fees. Write your politicians asking for legislation to control the scams: I'm sure by the time they're done $15 will be reasonable to them as they get their kickbacks.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Although this may appear to be a reputable low cost alternative to rent a car it is NOT! They are deceptive in their pricing. When you check in to pick up you car, they give you the smallest option possible related to your reservation. Then they appear to upgrade you to a larger car and after they make the change, they tell you it's going to cost you more.

If that isn't bad enough, we were told to keep track of the tolls we went through and we could pay for them when we turned in the car and this would avoid paying a $15 charge if they had to mail us a bill. NOT... when we returned the car we were told that for one $4.70 toll, we could choose to pay $11/day ($66+) or they would bill our credit card $15+. Regardless of what the employee, Myron, told us when we picked up the car! Or in not so many words "**!" We got your money and your card #. The $226.27 online car rental ends up to be $300 plus tolls and addition fees of $15 to pay the tolls. Rip off and very poor customer service! NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: May 21, 2018

Rented online for a 3 day in Orlando trip. Desk agent tried repeatedly to get me to buy additional ins. Repeatedly told him I was covered and did not need any extras. Got suckered for a 7.49 a day toll pass went thru one $1 toll. $2 a day surcharge that they can't explain and only drove 90 miles but was charged $34.69 for fuel on a car that got 32 mpg. Got to additional charges that I didn't agree to 3 VLF @ $1.17 /Day $3.51 and 3 ERF @ $1.50 /Day $4.50. MAKE SURE to CHECK YOUR CAR OUT, mine had bumper damage, filthy back seat and many paint scrapes. Wound up paying $215 for what was suppose to be a $131 rental.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I booked online for a car. When I get to the counter they only had Van and SUV. Something I wasn't interested in so they directed me next door. So why they still charged my card and want to leave me holding 20 minutes? I hung up. Disputing with credit card company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?

Original review: May 14, 2018

I recently rented a car with Fox Rental at San Francisco Airport through Auto Europe. I paid all the rental cost to Auto Europe and got a voucher to the rental counter at the airport to pick up the vehicle on May 3, 2018. At the counter, I was held talking with the counter agent for almost 45 minutes which she kept recommended me purchase extra coverage. I told her I have had coverage through my credit company and want to decline all any additional coverage. Finally I was asked to sign on a digital box that install on the counter and explained that I have agreed to pick up the vehicle. Due to the tiredness after the flight and a long waiting to finalize the rental, I signed and went to pick up the vehicle.

After returned the vehicle and left for home, I found out my credit card was charged with 2 different amounts. Then I looked at the rental agreement and found that the agent has added an additional liability coverage and roadside assistant coverage on the rental agreement. I contacted Fox customer service and was told the charges was according to my acceptance. I am very disappoint to the dishonesty business dealing of Fox agent. The coverage added without knowledge of customer when customer was asked to sign the agreement without seeing the actual paperwork. However, the initial to decline the coverage was not me who did it. This will be the first and last time I deal with Fox Rental. Please advise the consumers be aware of that scam.

Original review: May 13, 2018

My first experience with Fox will be my last, and now I understand why they have the absolute worst reviews of any car rental company. I paid for a Chrysler 300 (luxury class) about six weeks before traveling to Denver. Upon arrival, the line was long and slow to move, and the facility looked like a temporary one, though I understand it is not. At the counter I was told they didn't have my 300 but I could have a Santa Fe for the same price. I told the guy that wouldn't work because one of us was elderly and can not climb into any SUV. He then offered an Explorer, which I told him would be even worse, and why. Next up was a Ford Expedition - an even taller/higher full-size SUV!

A lady was then called over and offered me a Dodge Charger, which I had already refused to accept without a discount. She proceeded to tell me that it was actually a better car than a 300 because they classify it as "special." I declined again, saying that it was not what I was expecting and should be cheaper because it was not as well equipped, and she told me that I should be happy getting it for the same price because it's a sports car. A sports car!? After 25 minutes or so I was down to one word answers and the staff was becoming visibly frustrated. At that point they magically found the 300 they previously claimed they did not have. They then attempted to charge me $170 for pointless insurance that I had already refused. They also failed to adequately explain their toll extortion program to me.

I declined their prepayment program because I was told that my only choice was to either pay for it for every day of my rental or decline it entirely, even though I knew I would only use a toll road once. I was also told that without it I would be charged $15 each time I got onto a toll highway, though I was later charged three separate administrative charges over a span of 16 minutes on one highway, plus actual toll charges. I will be disputing this with my credit card company. The return process was quick, easy, and painless, taking literally seconds, and the return staff were downright friendly. This however does not outweigh the horrendous experience at the rental counter, and I will never again use Fox.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Renting from Fox Rent A Car turned out to be the worst car rental experience in all my travels. In order to pick up my prepaid car, I had to wait in a long line and endure each and every person before me listening to a prolonged one to two hour speech about how the Full-size SUV Ford Explorer or similar wasn’t available. I had a long day and the last thing I wanted to was deal with incompetent people. First, they played ring around the rosie with me. They wanted us to go downstairs but I informed them I was just down there and they rudely sent me upstairs. They did not have anything similar - everything they had was completely beat up/large dents, fenders not aligned.

After 2 hours I rolled off in a low end sport SUV. Bait and switch, rude customer service, hard upselling, and at the end me what I did not pay for. When you call Fox assistance they don't answer their phone and leave you on hold indefinitely. When they finally did answer, the agent was very very rude and did not care at all about my concerns.

That same day while at the Fox Rent Center, I was told that an agent would be reaching out to me and getting a new car for me but no one called or anything. I went back to return the low grade car I was given. I dropped off the car and once again voiced my concerns and they all looked at me like I was crazy. They did change the car but gave me an SUV that was all scratched and one side of the bumper was hit with a warning sign on the dashboard “maintenance required.” I was assured that the Vehicle was good to go. I took the vehicle because I honestly had no choice. To say I’m disappointed in this service is an understatement. I do not recommend Fox cars to anyone! I will never rent with Fox again and highly discourage others.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Renting from Fox rental car turned out to be the worst car rental experience in all my travels. (And, I'm over 70 years old!) In order to pick up my prepaid car, I had to wait in a long line and endure each and every person before me listening to a prolonged 15 to thirty minute hard-sell sales pitch for additional charges and upgrades. Each and every item was both unnecessary and overpriced, leaving me with the impression that I was being "played." This two hour ordeal was a terrible beginning to a much anticipated action. Two weeks after I returned home, I received a bill for $32.77 because the Fox claimed I had accumulated $2.77 worth of tolls. While I can't disprove the tolls, I and I certainly did not read the fine print which apparently stated that a $15.00 fee would be charged for every toll no matter how small! I will never rent with Fox again and highly discourage others.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Rented a premium level SUV (or similar). Got to Tampa, desk guy was nice but they did not have any cars ready. They did not have anything similar - everything they had was completely beat up/large dents, fenders not aligned. After 45 mins - rolled off in a low end SUV that contented several dents and 39,000 miles. We just wanted to start our vacation. Read the reviews, wish I looked into them. They are a solid crappy company. They hopefully will be out of business soon - judging by the pack of other unhappy travelers taking photos of the beat up cars.

Original review: April 19, 2018

When I went to pick up my rental car, we were delayed due to a snowstorm and flight cancelations. I rented a car for 4 days. In essence we were a day late due to weather. They claimed I could not rent my car without paying another rental. At their current rates. Double dipping. Why would it matter to any rental car agency if you come late? You paid for the car for a period of time, whether you drive it out of the lot or not, you paid for it, it's yours. It is like a scam for lack of better words. No common sense or customer focus on Fox Rental at all.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I arrived in Tampa, Florida Thursday evening around 11:40 p.m. By the time I got to Fox Rent a Car it was a little after midnight. I picked up my car from Fox and vacated the parking garage. I pulled over in the GPS parking lot and that is when I found out my phone would not work. Verizon towers were down in the area and apparently were since early that day. I was not able to turn around and go back into the garage. I could only go forward. It was dark, after midnight and I was in an area I had never been before. When I spoke on the phone with Fox today their answer to me was that they do not provide maps. I was simply calling to advise what had happened and that it would have been excellent customer service had Fox notified those of us who were picking up cars that our GPS may not work.

I am female, I was alone, after midnight, no idea where I was, having to find my way on dark deserted streets. I got turned around and couldn't seem to get back to the airport. I was petrified. I will not use Fox again and I hope other car rental companies take note of this. I am a grown adult and I do take responsibility for myself. I know Fox is not REQUIRED to provide us with any information, however, I did feel that it would have been good for CUSTOMER SERVICE if they advised us about the tower issue in the area.

Original review: April 14, 2018

We rented a car from Fox Rent A Car in Denver. Price was to be $288.81 plus $24.00 for a toll road being used twice. Then when we got there we had to put down $150.00 deposit (that we weren’t told about). After getting home and looking at our charges we paid $490.00 for a 7 day car rental. We were charged $11.49 per day for the toll road and $22.00 for road side assistance. Plus other expenses. I will never use or recommend this company to anyone. Total ripoff. I called them and was told too bad. I use to work for Avis Rental Car and it’s such a better company. So I know how they work. Upsells are pushed so this girl at Fox got a good bonus off of us.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I travel frequently and rent cars. I decided to try Fox this time. I reserved a Camaro convertible at Tampa airport. My flight got in a 1030p. I had a long day and the last thing I wanted to was deal with incompetent people. First, there was only one agent and about 6 people in line. All she could do was complain about not having help. She wanted us to go downstairs but I informed them I was just down there and they rudely sent me upstairs. Finally someone came in at 11 pm. All she did was complain how slow the other person was and did get me checked in.

Now, I go downstairs to pick up my the car and there is the same rude person... with his monotone voice tells me to go do a walk around the car and if anything is wrong come back up... of course there was several things wrong and I go back up. He seemed annoyed because now everybody is coming to get their cars. We do the walkthrough and I point out several things and ask at one point... may I have a different car. He looks at me and tells me NO! I’m exhausted at this point.

The next day, the person I’m visiting noticed the right tire on the driver side rubs against front bumper when turning. The car was filthy. Looked like they never cleaned it after the last person. So, we call customer service. We explained the whole situation. She acted like she could care less and at one point made us feel like she wasn’t even listening to us. She stated we could bring the vehicle back which would be 2 hours there and back for us or they could give me a 20% discount. Once again, she sounded annoyed doing this.

I dropped off the car and once again voiced my concerns and they all looked at me like I was crazy. Told me to have a nice day and moved me along. I did make sure I received my 20% off and the guy never asked once why I was unhappy with the rental. He was too busy talking with his co-worker. They all were VERY unprofessional. Sad thing is, I’m traveling in 2 weeks and was going to get another car with them. I instantly canceled my reservation and booked with another company. A very unsatisfied customers.

Original review: April 12, 2018

The man said that I would “need a toll pass to get to Boulder from Denver. Everybody gets one.” When I drove there I found out it was an absolute lie. It is EASY to get there without the toll road. I paid over $45usd for nothing because this man lied for probably a commission.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Rented a vehicle from this company in Fort Lauderdale through car rentals.com, my flight was delayed 2 1/2 hrs, plane landed 12:46 am, Fox office is open 24hrs, made multiple attempts to call them on the phone, all calls went to voice mail and got disconnected every single time. Waited for their off airport shuttle, it never came, got a ride to pick up the car from a very nice Sixt Rent a Car, shuttle driver.

Once there was informed that the reservation had been cancelled because it was 3 hours after the reserved pick up time, that I could rent a car but the new reservation was more than double the previous price, I pointed out that it was only 11 minutes after the 3 hours, that I had made many call attempts, to which he replied "our phone doesn't work", and that if the shuttle had showed up maybe I wouldn't be 11 minutes late, to which he replied "you're not 11 minutes late, you're 3 hours and 11 minutes late". Needless to say, no need to further continue this conversation.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Flight was delayed 1 day, so I called Fox to let them know I would be 1 day late picking up car and they told me they could not hold the car and would release it to another renter and since I prepaid they would not refund me my $500 dollars. Most ridiculous policy I've ever heard of. Buyer Beware of prepaying policy. After several calls with Fox and getting nowhere I called "CarRentals" (whom I went thru) to find out my options. CarRentals told me that Fox policy states if you dont pick up the car within 12 hours of your pickup date they will release car and charge you the full amount... no matter what reason!!!

I can understand this if you have no good reason for not showing up...but I was not asking to cancel just getting there a day late and paying for the full time. They had my money already so what's the problem just holding the car in their lot. It's a scam when you don't give me a car, take my money and then release the car to someone else and take their money. I will never use them again.

Original review: April 7, 2018

We rented a mini van for the week for our family of 7. We have travel a lot, we rent lots of cars (not from Fox) and never had an issue. This week our rental car had a slow leak in the front right tire, the windows didn’t close or seal, and our brakes barely worked (entire car shook us while breaking). I understand these things can happen but when I called Fox to report it, the customer service rep was extremely rude (I waited on hold for 40 minutes) AND REFUSED to help me, compensate me or connect me with a manager. To say I’m disappointed in this service is an understatement. I do not recommend Fox Cars to anyone!

Original review: April 4, 2018

This is a horrible company to do business with. I made a mistake on their confusing website. Called customer service & spoke with a representative and a supervisor. Their attitude was "It sucks to be you". They showed no desire to retain me as a customer. Enjoy the cash you charged me for a car I didn't knowingly reserve and wouldn't have reserved had I not been lured into it by their confusing website. I have a need for a rental car at least 4 weeks out of every year. I will never even consider Fox again. Do yourself a favor, ignore the prices they bait you with and rent from a reputable company that truly wants to help its customers. Google Fox Rental Car reviews and read what others have written. I wish I had of. #foxrentalcarstinks #dontrentfromfox.

Original review: April 4, 2018

They just stole 285 dollars from me. They said it was a deposit and everything was a lie. First the woman was telling me that it would cost over 200 then the manager told her to leave and he said she did not know what she was talking about. It turned out to be 285 dollars for 2 days because the way they phrase their documentation. It was never a "deposit." Do not ever rent from them. Everything is a lie.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Very happy with Fox. Rented out of Oakland for six weeks, good car, friendly service and good price. Have rented many times before. My issue isn't per se with them but all rental companies in California. I live in NY and just got a bill from Fox for Fastrac, going in the express lane without a Fastrac tag. I carefully read the signs on the highway before entering the express lane and it says no charge if two or more passengers, which we had. I now discover, reading the bill, that you need a Fastrac tag. That should be pointed out by car rental companies in California when renting to out-of-staters, same as crossing Golden State Bridge, or needing chains to go on certain roads. No big deal just a standardized page giving the info.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I got a very unsafe Prius - 76000 miles. No breaks. Very bad acceleration. So many dents. I requested another car as this is very unsafe, but the front desk said this is the only available in economy and I have to take it. This vehicle stopped twice but then started itself in 4 days. On 7th Jan night, was in Orlando Universal Studios parking lot at 8:30 pm and it again did not start for third time. I rang roadside at around 9:20 pm asking to swap a vehicle. They informed "They will tow the vehicle to nearest location along with me in 45 mins and I need to take a new car. They can not bring a car to my location." I agreed to that, to go to nearest Fox Rental office along with the malfunction car to pick another vehicle though it will waste my time. The policy is to bring a car to the location where it stopped which they ignored. They said towing will be with me in 45 mins but "THEY TOOK 4 hrs."

Me and my wife were shivering in my car all night alone in the parking lot until 3:45 am. I made around 10 calls, they picked only 3 and every time they said towing will be with me in 20 mins (wrong status updates). Finally at 3:45 am. towing came and we went to Fox Rental office and took another car at around 4:30 am. Because of this:

I lost my motel which I booked in Miami, as they did not cancel my booking since it's past check in. I also lost 140$ which I already paid for water sports for the next day in Key West. I was suppose to be on a day cruise in Key West the next day by 8:30 am. But I could not go as I got the new vehicle at 4:30 am in Orlando. "My plan was to go Miami the night sleep there and go to Key West next morning from Miami." I also lost my SunPass which I had like 15$ in Prius and I had to purchase another sun pass for 5$ for my new rented car. Also I suffered due to cold whole night.

I would not have mind if you had sent me the towing right away. But these guys took 4 hrs on a cold night to send towing and all my vacation was disturbed. They said, "We will compensate for all the loses." And after repeated follow ups someone named Ellen ** responded asking me to send documents of evidence that I lost motel and cruise and stuff. Now it's like 2 months, am still waiting for her response, am sending emails almost every week, no response. All I can say is this company is just very hard. Do not do business with them. I wish at least now Ellen responds and fix my issue.

Original review: March 26, 2018

TOTAL SCAM. They need to be shut down. When we arrived they instantly told us the price would be almost $100 more than what we paid on Expedia. When we asked why, they said "on Expedia they only show you the rental price for the car". Only the rental price? As opposed to what? Hidden fees? Are they seriously trying to blame Expedia? So I showed them the email confirmation from Expedia which clearly showed the rental plus tax. What other fees are there?

Read carefully: If you do not SPECIFICALLY ask them you will not realize that they are BLATANTLY adding on fees that are optional. Without telling you and without giving you the option. She automatically tried to charge us a gas charge. In other words, don't worry about filling up the tank with gas. Just bring the car back. Well anyone who has ever rented a car before knows you NEVER do this. For this "convenience" the price per gallon is exorbitant. Any self-respecting car rental agency will point out that this is an option. But these con artists automatically added it, hoping you would not realize, and trying to pass it off as something required.

The second fee they added was their optional insurance plan. Again, CLEARLY doing this without our consent. Any other rental agency would make you aware of the optional insurance, what it covers, what it does not, and the cost. Fox did NOT mention any of this. They automatically, quietly added the fee. I imagine plenty of people sign the contract at the bottom without realizing this. We have full coverage on our auto insurance and through Expedia we purchased their third party collision insurance. So I felt very comfortable declining the rental agency's upcharge.

After spending the last 11 hours traveling and arriving after midnight, the last thing we needed was having to deal with this type of crooked business. When we argued against these fees, both clerks had the audacity to act like they were offended. I find it very hard to believe that these two don't know full well what they are doing.

Oh, here's scam #2... Another nice surprise. Guess what, if you are a Florida resident and you arrive at Ft Lauderdale airport to pick up your rental, do you get a Florida Resident discount? NO! In fact it's the OPPOSITE. If you are a Florida resident they put an ADDITIONAL $500 charge on your credit card. WHY??? Is this legal? NOWHERE in the rental agreement does it say this. This is just a "thing" that they do. No explanation.

We told them this wasn't expected and we weren't going to pay it. We asked if out of state renters had to pay this fee and they said for out of state renters the authorization they put on the card is only $150. They would not let us rent the car without agreeing to a charge of over $600 on our credit card. We asked what our options were and the guy said "take an Uber". Literally. This was his reply. So that's exactly what we did. SO frustrated right now. This is bottom of the barrel. Would give 0 stars if that were possible.

Original review: March 22, 2018

BEWARE!!! They hook you with cheap rental prices but... Cars are couple of years old, they have a ton of miles and they are filthy. Extra insurance was more than rental but didn't want to take a chance with these people. They hold a ton of money in reserve. Hit a couple of toll roads, so OK my responsibility to pay toll but they add $15.00 surcharge PER toll. $3.95 toll becomes $18.95 toll. Overheard them outright lie to couple next to me telling them they better take the $61.00 offer to have Fox fill gas tank after because gas was so expensive in Denver. Reality gas station nearby at $2.17 gal. Go to the big chains. Overall cheaper and better cars. This is the first review I've ever taken the time to do because they are so crooked.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Their cancellation policy is horrible and customer service is even worse. Check out Priceline.com before booking with Rent A Car - if I would have booked through this site I could have cancelled - AND they found a cheaper rental for me with another company. Very unhappy and will never rent via Fox Rent A Car ever again.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Rented a car for three days. On the next day I had to get a jumper because the battery was dead. Then, I returned the car on the next day. I was surprised that they charged me for the third day including a penalty for the early return. Customer service was so poor. People aren't happy there.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I fly to Ft. Lauderdale a lot on Southwest Airlines. I never used FOX rental cars. Since rental rates were high on my last trip, I took Southwest's recommendation for FOX. I asked for a rental rate on the Southwest site and received an estimate of $200.94 for 9 days. Big surprise, the final rental cost was $380.76. They add on so many charges and fees that your bill almost doubles. Oh, $56.42 was charged for an extra day (flights were cancelled due to a storm). I have never had a problem with Hertz, Budget, Dollar or ACE at this location. Whatever you do, avoid FOX. P.S. I am contacting Southwest about their recommendation. P.S.S. I cannot add a final receipt because I never received one!!! Just a credit card bill.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Our Fox Rent A Car experience started with the agent trying to scam us and ended with another agent coming around to the desk and trying to punch me. We called Fox Rent A Car and they did nothing. Not one thing. We asked them to review the security footage and they did not. We asked them to review who they hire and they said that all Fox Rent A Car's are privately owned. If you need to rent a car, pay attention to all of the poor reviews and rent from a different place. Fox Rent A Car deserves a special place in hell.

Original review: March 12, 2018

When we came to get our car at the counter. They told us the only car they had available was a 15 passenger van. If we wanted to upgrade, it was an additional $30 a day. So we took a regular size SUV. The original price I was quoted was $127. At the counter, with all the add ons and saying they didn't have enough cars (which was a lie cause we came to their lot and there was a ton of cars). Our total went from $127 to $371 and they made us pay a $150 deposit (which was refunded), I found it ridiculous. They are very misleading. I would not recommend them. Pay a little extra and go with a bigger brand. Like Hertz or Budget. They also tacked on a toll (we were in San Fran) for the Golden Gate bridge. We never said we were going there, and the toll was $11. NOT TRUSTWORTHY COMPANY. RUN! AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

Original review: March 9, 2018

I do not rent any car from “Fox Rent A Car“ and you charge $ 755.84 from my account. This is Fraud! I am very upset about your company after more than 3 hours to wait in the phone, I spoke with customer service “Leo” and He said that all the customers are the same problem -fraud. I would like return as soon as possible my money $ 755.84.

Fox Rent A Car Company Information