1.19/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

883 Fox Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have nothing good to say about this company. First it is impossible to speak to any person online. We arrived at the rental centre in Phoenix and due to the sale there were not enough agents to rent cars which resulted in a long line up. We stood in line for over one hour. and it was over two hours before we finally left the airport. We had reserved a Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar SUV. We later found out that they do not have these vehicles on the fleet. We were given a Dodge Journey which in no way compares to the Grand Cherokee.

At approx 7:00 PM we had a flat tire and I called the roadside assistance four separate times. Each time we would get a recording and once we were the next in line and after approx 10 minutes on hold it would tell us to leave a message. We were able to change the tire with the help of a passerby and drove the vehicle slowly back to the airport only to find out that the roadside assistance phones are only manned from 9 - 5. My advice is do not breakdown outside of these hours. The agent was not able to answer any questions about what to do if you have a flight to catch. Upon our return there were approx 80 vehicles in the lineups and I did not see one Grand Cherokee. In conclusion first the vehicle we got was much less than what we thought we were going to get. We wasted 5 hours to get help with a flat tire that never arrived. Last they charged my credit card even though I paid cash when I returned the car.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Let me just start by saying this is the scammiest, ripoff car rental company I've ever had the misfortune of renting from. When I booked online, I only paid about $120 for the 4 days. At the end of trip, I ended up somehow owing them $400 in extra "fees". I rented a car from Fox for 4 days for a vacation with my boyfriend and I. When we arrived from the airport to the pickup counter, there were only 2 people checking people in and a bunch of other employees just walking around while there was a long line. When it was our turn, the guy at the counter was like a used car salesman trying to get up to pay a ton of money for extra stuff that no one needs. He ended up conning us into getting some toll tag for an extra $15 a day which we ended up not even using.

The real kicker was when we got some expired meter parking tickets, only $25 and which we planned on paying online. But when we went to do so, we saw that Fox already paid immediately and charged us $60 "handling" fee. When I called to say that I was going to pay the ticket, the person said it was too late and I had to pay Fox for the extra fees. So our $120 turned into $400 plus. Save yourself the headache and rent with someone reputable. FOX SUCKS. I would NEVER rent from them again and wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Unlike some victims here, I got taken for a ride just cancelling a reservation. Thought it was economical to use a third tier rental outfit. I made a reservation for Oakland Airport. Thought it odd that they required not only a large deposit, but also a large open balance on your credit card for this location. Changed itinerary to another airport with no Fox office. Went online Monday to cancel a Saturday reservation. If you cancel 96 hours or more prior to the reservation you only get charged $70. If you cancel less than 96 hours before the reservation, you will be charged the entire rental fee. So, this was my lucky day. I only paid $70 for NOTHING. Clearly, customer relationships and repeat business are not part of their business model. More like churn and burn. Went back to Hertz. There you what you pay for. With FOX you pay for what you don’t get. Would give ZERO stars, but at least one is required.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

DO NOT rent from this company if your life depends on it. If I could give 0 stars I would. We wanted a cheap car rental option and this is the one we went with. The car was infested with roaches and tiny bugs that bite. We were eaten alive and itchy within hours of picking the car up. We are in a tropical place so that is understandable but the customer service that ensued ruined our vacation. They ultimately charged us for the full term of the rental, wouldn't let us drop it off early, wouldn't pick it up without charging us $50, and were completely unsympathetic. We were stuck and couldn't get around while we waited for them to tell us that they didn't care that they gave us a car with biting bugs in it. We had to rent an additional car from another company. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Fox is not at all professional in how they approach working with customers. They have poor customer service and are not at all transparent in their hidden fees. Do NOT rent from FOX - Go to another company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

For about 10 years I already rented about 30 times a car with other companies and I had no problem. With Fox Rent A Car I didn't got back my $400 guarantee and the car had no damage. They told me first it was done, but I never received the money back. They have charged my bank $772.15 for 8 days with a Dodge 7 seats. It's about $96.5 by day! They told me all is correct (extra insurance...) but my bank account doesn't match with their numbers. Amazing!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. Better Business Bureau review gets the minimum of 1 star. The cancellation for the prepaid option is completely misleading. If you pay upfront and cancel at any point (even several days before the booking) you will be charged the FULL rental amount PLUS $70. This policy is written as a hidden second section "cancellation section" after you scroll through the entire document. Very misleading. They supposedly give the amount they withhold from you to use as store credit but I never received such a credit. Furthermore, it is not possible to reach anyone from billing by phone or email.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

This company is a absolute scam! The reason their cars are so cheap is they screw you on the back end. They will charge you $15 for each toll you go through on top of the toll amount even if you paid cash and have proof you paid cash. You can never speak to a human being. They also will lie to you saying the car you want isn’t available and make you upgrade at your expense. Their cars are not taken care of either. They break down and they do nothing to help you even if you buy their overpriced roadside help. They have a good scam going here. I would never use them again. I’d hitchhike first... No joke!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Car was not ready when I arrived as scheduled. After 30 minutes I was told the vehicle I rented needed to be cleaned. Everyone there when I arrived had already left and then newcomers were getting their cars and leaving. They had vehicles one class up ready upfront, but I was told I had to wait for the class car I rented. After 45 minutes there, I got very impatient and stated I would contact Fox Car Rental in the US and I was told to stop threatening them very loudly. After more waiting, I was told my car was ready and the lady literally threw the keys at me across the counter and told me to go get my car. It was the worst type of customer service ever.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I rented from Fox last year and it was the worst car I'd ever driven in. It was old, dirty, all of the upholstery and carpet was stained, it was disgusting. I asked for a different car but it was just as bad as the first car. I had no choice but to take it but I planned to never use Fox again. Unfortunately I didn't tell my wife about that first experience and she booked our recent rental car from Fox as well. When I found out at the airport I was concerned but hoped maybe this rental location in a different city would be better. Boy was I wrong. The car had dents, scratches, rust, etc. on the outside of the car. The inside had stained upholstery and carpet throughout. The USB didn't work.

The wind shield wipers needed replacing and so they didn't work well and made an awful sound. When it snowed tires had a hard time and slide around quite a bit. They knew it was going to snow so I don't know why they didn't give us a car with tires that can handle the snow. The brakes also had a hard time in the snow. When I'd brake they'd make this loud weird noise and the foot pedal drastically vibrated. I can't believe they rent such awful and unsafe cars. I wouldn't take their rental cars if they were offered for free. After two very bad experiences, We are never renting from them again.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Arrived at SFO about 10:30 am, Sept 14, 2018, after five hours in the air. Found the Fox rental counter and waited only a few minutes. We declined extra insurance, and were told all their cars are equipped with the express plate pass for toll roads. We were told we would only be charged the actual toll and it would be deducted from our deposit. We used one toll road in sixteen days. When we got home and checked our M/C statement we were charged more than our confirmation. I called the billing dept and was told we had “signed” for the toll road charge of $11.49 USD a day, plus tax.

I told the person what we were told by the counter person, and she said “I wasn’t there so I don’t know what you were told”. AND you signed the contract AND you had 16 days to check the contract. Needless to say, I was not impressed. I said, “Are you kidding me”... and she hung up on me. I found an email address for customer service and started a conversation with Inez, still to no avail. They are sorry we are disappointed, end of story. We will never rent from those crooks again. If we were happy we might recommend them to a few, but now we are telling everyone, don’t go there.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I was forced to pay twice as much as the quote! Priceline.com listed a good deal for this car rental company at Toronto Airport - $10 a day for 2 days. With taxes and fees estimated total was $49.33. with the exchange rate to Canadian $ of 1.31% it should be around C$65. When I got to the counter, David the representative said I have to purchase the Collision Damage Coverage. I said I'm covered through my American Express card. He said I have no choice because my rental price was so low. It was $11.95 per day. I was in a hurry to attend a meeting so I agreed.

When I returned the car, on time, with full tank of gas, David said my total would be $109! I said I'd like to see the itemization. He said he couldn't show me until the amount was paid. I didn't want to miss my flight and I allowed him to process the payment. When I read the statement, I was charged $19 per day. When I asked him he said that was the exchange rate! I said that's crazy, the exchange rate was 1.31, not 1.9%. He said because I rented through Priceline.com, the amount was calculated by Priceline, and his system couldn't change it.

I called Priceline.com immediately to ask if what David said was true. Priceline representative Alexa said that was not true and I should not be charged more than US$10 per day. She said I should not have to pay for additional insurance if I already have coverage. So David was very dishonest and everything he said were lies. Priceline is doing an investigation on their charge. I will suggest to Priceline to take this company off their database if Fox refuses to settle this case.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I will NEVER rent from this company again and will NEVER recommend them to anyone!! My only good experience was with the person we returned our car with. When I got to the location, the customer service (if that is what you want to call it) was HORRIBLE!!! She quickly went through the rental process and when I asked clarifying questions the counter agent seemed annoyed. I had a question about the return timeframe and next thing you know the manager was typing away on my rental agreement. I never asked for the manager and was not informed she needed a manager. The counter agent was saying something completely different than what we talked about and she snapped at me and said “this is between me and my manager.”

I was then sold the plate pass for “all” the noncash taking tolls between the location and my resort. The 4 total tolls I went through ALL took cash and were less than $10. I hope the company enjoys the extra $57 they “stole” from me. I even asked the counter agent about the tolls and she pointed to a map that had the toll roads in green, but nothing about them accepting or not accepting cash. I hope they enjoy selling telling people they need the plate pass when it isn’t necessary. That night I called the customer service number to discuss the plate pass fee (of $67) and having it removed, needless to say the phone customer service was just as horrible as the rental location.

The SUV we got was a mess and unwashed, it had paint splatters all over the windshield and driver's side of the car, chocolate handprint stains on the interior, a huge dent on the passenger side door and kept saying it needed an oil change. This is the first time in my life I ever felt the need to take pictures of the damage to a rental car I was picking up. We had to the pick up walk around inspection by ourselves and fill out the paperwork, I thought this was the rental place's job not mine. I will NEVER rent from this company again and will never recommend them to anybody. Everyone that works for this company needs to have a training in customer service, starting with the management of the location.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

The Fox Rent a Car at the Fort Myers Airport does not deserve even a fraction of a star. I reserved a car, for two weeks, online from Fox Rent a Car in Fort Myers, FL when my mother went into hospice care. In addition to their weekly rental charge and additional fees, fuel charge, Florida tax 6%, surcharge, rsw priv fee 8%... they also put a $150 refundable deposit charge on my credit card. I have never paid a deposit charge when I rent a car. My mother, sadly, passed away three days after arriving and I returned the car, after 7 days. I knew my daily rate would increase for an early return. It was written on my contract what that daily charge would be.

However, they ended up charging me for two weeks and my final bill was more than the original agreement for two weeks. I kept trying to explain to the attendant, who gave me my receipt, that there was an error. But she couldn't understand what I was saying or just didn't want to understand. I had a plane to catch and decided to settle the matter when I got home. You cannot reach this company by phone. I e-mailed them and sent a handwritten letter with copies of contract and receipts, to no avail. I will never rent from this company again. I add my bad review to all the bad reviews that preceded mine. I hope ConsumerAffairs will look into this operation and their shady practices of cheating their customers.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I would give this company zero stars if I could. I rented a car from this company at LAX. I had to wait at the counter for the agent to finish a conversation with the father of her child. Then I had to wait while she sent him a text message. When I returned the car, they charged me a $300 drop off fee. Seriously?! I brought the car back to the lot where I picked it up from and they charge me $300 to bring it back to them? This is ridiculous. Don't rent from them unless you want to get ripped off.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I made a reservation for Nov 22-25, within 24hrs I called to cancel since there is a family emergency within that week. They are charging me for $70 cancellation fee and they will keep the remaining money as a store credit. This is a totally unfair business. I would understand if cancellation is 48-72 hrs from the rental date but not within 24hrs of making one. And oh! They Charge $1000 for car deposit as well (automatically charged on your cc when you book reservation online).

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

This was truly the worst car renting experience I’ve ever had! My daughter and I arrived at SFO on November 3rd at 12:30 AM. After taking the almost 35 min shuttle, to the rental location because the Air Tram stopped running at midnight, we arrived that the 2nd level of the parking structure to wait in line for 45 mins because only 2 ladies were working and each one had to go on a 10-15 min break. When it was finally my turn, I then got the shocking news that the hold would be 400.00 which I may not get back for up to 14 DAYS, because I was using my DEBIT card!

I had already prepaid with PRICELINE, including the added on car insurance... so for 3 days I paid 100.00 BEFORE I EVEN GOT THERE... Next comes the car, I was given a Hyundai Elantra with a front spoiler. I noticed lots of scratches and door dings on the sides and back of the car, only the NEXT MORNING when I saw the car in natural sunlight. Upon returning the car last night, November 5th, I told the check in person who said, "Don’t worry about it." I checked my account this morning they took the 400.00 out. Needless to say I now have to find out how to get my money back.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

What a pathetic car rental service. I will never advise anyone to book a car through them even though they are little cheaper than other. I had a bad experience at San Jose airport car rental service depending upon unreliability were they were unable to provide me car on time. They also charged my account in advance. Likewise, the customer service was similar; they told me that I need to wait 30 minutes, and again when I asked them after 1 minute the answer was it could take more than a hour. Lastly, I canceled my reservation.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

After reserving a Jeep Cherokee for $310, I arrived at Sky Harbor and waited in line for 35 minutes with only 6 people in front of me. The representative who finally waited on me said that they did not have the vehicle I ordered. He tried to put me into a Charger - a 2 door sedan. I needed the SUV. Then he tried to charge me a $150 "deposit" which was not disclosed when I ordered the vehicle 3 weeks prior. He said that would be refunded 7 to 10 days AFTER the rental. He also said that ALL car rental companies charge a deposit, which is a lie.

The final straw was the declining of insurance, which was suspicious in nature. You initial a box that confirms you will pay for the insurance that is listed below, but there is nothing listed. Will they insert that later on for a customer to be charged? I refused to rent the car and went next door to Thrifty, where I rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee for $279 (no deposit), and I was in and out of there in about 5-7 minutes. Fox is a terrible company.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Jeez where to start? We were going to San Francisco so I got a reservation for a Jeep Grand Cherokee for $123 for 3 days. When we showed up we stood in line for about 25 to 30 minutes and then finally got to the counter. The guy says my reservation is no longer valid since it's past 3 hours of the time I listed. Well we were only 9 minutes past! And we waited in line for all that time! So the guy says he's gonna help us out and shhh don't tell the manager. That ** gave us a frigging Versa! And charged us $165 for the same 3 days!

If I wasn't tired of dealing with this idiot I would've very much enjoyed sticking his head up his ** and watching him hobble around for a bit. We just wanted to get out of there and get to our hotel. If I could give these people negative stars I would. ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS! But that's what I get for not reading reviews before renting here. In the future I will use the better companies that treat you correctly.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

When I rented the car they quoted me $159.44 for a 3-day SUV rental. When I returned it with a full tank, they charged my card $293.20. They charge me for a full tank and other hidden charges. Never! Again I will rent from Fox! I feel ripped off!! They wanted me to look for the gas receipt to refund me whatever I put in gas. That is an insult, they can shove it!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I rented a car from Fox for 4 days while I was in Ft. Myers helping my elderly mother. Things were fine until the car wouldn't start one morning. I called them to replace it. They said they would jump start it, which they did. I drove it, turned it off, and it wouldn't start again. This happened 3 times, 'til they said I should return it to airport 45 mins away. I lost a day dealing with a bad car, then they charged me $225.00 for the jump starts. Other providers would have brought me a working car, possibly even credited the lost day. No matter the rate, Never rent from Fox. They won't answer their phones or return their calls or emails to resolve issue. I'm not asking for refund of promised payment, just a refund of money they stole from me because they had to jump start a car with a bad battery.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Rented through a third party for a Fox Rent A Car as most people do. I had a print out of my rentals details which included in writing. A free additional driver. Roadside assistance. I was to pay a balance off $50 on my prepaid at the counter. When I got there they said that they would not give me an additional driver (unless I paid $10 per day), no roadside assistance, and $300 owed vs $50. When I showed Angel my contract, she said it didn’t matter, it wasn’t Fox’s fault, not her job, that I, the consumer, had to straighten it out with their business partner. When I said I may just cancel (so frustrating it was midnight), she said they’d be penalties!!! So... if you want to get less, pay more, and get harassed to boot, Fox Rent A Car in Fort Myers is your place!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I was travelling to catch an international flight. The rental person had me sign a screen 5 times stating the terms of the contract. I was delivered a copy of the contract attached to the car inspection report. Unfortunately when arriving at the airport there was no Fox Rent A Car office. When I went to the contract it was not mine as I had been given someone else’s. Trying to locate where to deliver the car cost me a missed international flight, 2 days travel time and $2000. I tried the two phone numbers cited on the contract but was placed on hold. After 30 minutes I hung up. Don’t count on these people as they are the opposite of customer oriented.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

As far as I'm concerned, they are not even deserved for one star. I rented their car through Orbtiz, then the final payment was tripled because all kinds of mandatory fees/insurances, which was a big surprise to me at the pick-up location that was far away from Vegas airport. The guy checked me in, who was careless and aggressive on pushing to close the deal. What the most unacceptable charge is $5.67 off $150 deposit without explanation in the end. I contacted their customer service, the call never went through. Then I requested an explanation on their website, and I never hear back from them. I returned the car much earlier than required time without any damages. I don't understand why the security deposit was not fully refunded. Their horrible customer service and unclear charges are really bothersome.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Please do not rent from this company. This has been the worst experience from start to finish. I rented a vehicle for 2 weeks for my parents visit. I rented the car through the website Carrentals.com. That part was fine. I went to go pick up the car from their location at SFO. The line was horrible. I am not exaggerating when I say it was a solid 2 hour wait just to get to a representative. They found my reservation but on top of what I paid for the rental they also told me I had to pay an additional $1000 because I am a San Francisco resident. I kid you not because of Lyft and Uber operating in SF they are now imposing a $1000 deposit because they think I will steal the car. Also, I’m only allowed to pay the $1000 on a credit card. I can’t use my debit card. Once again because I live in San Francisco. She told me if I was from another city then I wouldn’t have to pay a deposit because they assume since I have to catch a flight then I won’t steal the car.

Well, my credit card is maxed out from booking reservations for my family’s visit and they wouldn’t take my debit card. They told me they could cancel my reservation and rent the car to my dad’s credit card but when I asked to just cancel the reservation they told me they would not do it. I asked if I could just come back the next day with the $1000 deposit and pick up the car at that time and she told me that I could not. She said that if I did not take the car that night then my reservation would be cancelled AND they will keep the full amount I paid for the rental.

Finally I was able to get my dad from the airport and she cancelled my rental and rented the car to my dad instead. They still made us pay the $1000 but she also told me that since we got the insurance then we would get the full deposit back when we return the car since all damage is covered. Well, I returned the car over a week ago and they did not refund the $1000 and we cannot get anyone to answer the phone, call us back and half the time it just hangs up on me with no option to leave a voicemail. This company is only interested in stealing your money. It is a scam and you should not pay them a single cent. I regret ever working with them and will never rent another car from them again.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I am a Fox customer since a month. I choose Fox because it has comparative price (a positive aspect), however, from my experience I have noticed the following things: The website shows when you book online you can choose whichever car you want but after online booking when you arrive to pick up your car they say there is only one car available. If you made a reservation of high end car they will give you options for low end cars but only one option in high end car. This is a bad business policy.

Last week (Oct 13, 2018) I made an online reservation and when I went to pick up the car they said you can take only Kia Rio which had almost 80K mileage and lots of scratches on the body. Since I had no other option I took the car :(. This is not the end. We took the car from San Jose airport and drove for an hour to Walnut Creek to buy a Mercedes-Benz. After making the deal at Mercedes we came to our car to return back to our home in Sunnyvale. And we notice the car had flat tire. We noticed a nail in the tire.

We called roadside assistance which took around couple of hours to fix replace the flat tire with a spare one in the car. For this Fox rental charged me $100 which they should pay because the tire was flat when we took it. They did a trick. They pump the tire before renting it out so that it looks good. I verified this by pumping the tire to notice that it looks perfect. Even the roadside assistance guy told me why you want to change it, it looks good. Then I told him that there is a nail in it but since I pump air in it it looks perfect but as soon as I start driving it will become flat.

So the end story is: Fox did a cheap trick to grab money from me by giving a flat tire which was not noticeable at the beginning. I have rented car from Fox also for a month in the past but with their cheap tricks but giving flat tire and not providing options to select a car I decided I will not rent from Fox anymore in the future. Also to mention their customer service is very busy. You can never get an agent to talk. So please do not fall for low rent price like me. I did a mistake. Now I won't repeat it.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Reserved a car for 4 weeks to be picked up at the San Diego Airport. Upon arrival no car was available. Only car available was $150. More expensive. Other alternative was to give me a 8 person van. When complained, the desk operator called an unknown company, outside of the airport, which by magic had an available car for rental for $80 more which has 95.000 miles. I agreed, because I badly needed a car. The new rental outfit gave me rental papers and there were no taxes, no airport fees and none of the usual charges that legitimate companies charge. And they would not offer any insurance even if I wanted to pay. I believe this is a scam and I strongly believe that the Fox agent was getting a kickback.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Rented vehicle and the billing department charged me an additional $240 without my consent. This company is a bunch of thieves. DO NOT USE FOX RENT A CAR! I have tried to reach company on numerous attempts to rectify their error with no suitable response. They are all crooks and I would not recommend this company to anyone worldwide!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Reserved a car online and at the counter they could not provide the vehicle reserved. Tried to give us much smaller car for same price or upgrade. We pay the difference. We have never experienced such a bait & switch process from any other car rental. They also charge a damage deposit, credited back to your card when returned. Please read reviews, as this seems to be a very common practice for FOX CAR RENTAL. You guys should be embarrassed.

Fox Rent A Car Company Information