1.23/5

842 Fox Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

My wife and I reserved a FOX rental vehicle at SF airport recommended through Alaska Airlines website. However, FOX rental has the worst reviews of any American company to date. Please see all internet reviews about the car rental company on many websites. Attached is a transcript of our review on TripAdvisor. Please also see reviews from hundreds of customers that are extremely disappointed by the terrible customer treatment and service provided by FOX Rental Company. It's a mouse trap. If it's too good to be true it usually is!

My wife and I had a nightmare experience at the SF airport last weekend. Waited for over two hours in line to find out that they are out of vehicles!!! Each of the 20 customers waited at least 20 minutes in line (while FOX Car rental waits to receive cars from returning customers). Terrible service and a mouse trap to innocent bystanders. DO NOT USE FOX CAR RENTAL... avoid at any cost. Save yourself the aggravation. We rented from HERTZ for just a little more money and ended up with a free upgrade after we told the agent about our terrible experience with FOX. The Failing Fox rental car company! Consumer Affairs needs to investigate this company and put an end to their scamming activities as they are totally anti-American values when it comes to theft of personal time, aggravation, and anguish.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I rented a car in Denver for my wife over 4 months ago. When she went to pick the car up they try to charge her $400 extra to get the car. When my wife question the bill the clerk at the desk told her to get the F out of the property. When I tried to get ahold of the corporate office they basically told me there was nothing they could do. Do not rent from this company. It is a joke. Review wouldn't let me give it a zero stars or I would have.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I rented a car for one day for $12.16 which I thought was a great deal even though I had to return the car to the same place. This was shown as the TOTAL. When I returned the car the total was $33.23 and I was told because they charged me for “prepaid gas “ which I did not request because of the short drive. The next day I found on my credit card billing the whole amount including the deposit for a total of $183.23!

This the deposit that I was told that it would be returned to my card! Why was it charged to begin with? They had my cc # so there was no need to run it through! I read in other users complaints that they had a similar experience. Fox Rent A Car is a rip off and run by incompetent staff. Never again am I going to rent from them and I will make damn sure I tell everybody about my dealings with this “company”!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My experience with this rental was terrible! I booked for about $43 for one and a half day. When I got there, I was told that the car was a bit too small for 3 carry-on luggage. I ended up re-booked for a bigger car for about $94, including tax, fee and deposit was about $268. I was told I will get my deposit back but I still haven't got it yet. I am very angry and upset about the false information the representative provided to me. My credit card company contacted them and they were told by this lowly company that the $268 was the correct amount. Who would pay $268 for a Chevrolet car for a day! I even screenshot my booking just because I thought this lowly rental would cheated me, and here I am; they overcharged me and still haven't got my money back! This rental give false information at the counter especially if you are making any small change like mine. THEY CARE CRAVING AND DESPERATELY FOR YOUR MONEY not for your needs.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

When my handicapped mother flew into Denver, she had booked a rental car with these people. Upon arrival is when she was informed of the $200 charge for the deposit that they said was required. We were not told this when booking the car. I had given her my card to use in case of emergencies. They would not accept it, even with me on the phone asking them to. They said I had to be present. They ran her card the first time for the full amount of several hundred dollars and it was declined. Then she was told by a staff member if she only kept the car for 1 day they could waive the deposit, but they couldn't run her card again because once they initially ran it, they couldn't run it again! This left her stranded! I talked to several people there, SO RUDE! The last man I spoke to actually said "I'm done with you" and handed the phone back to my mother. Is this how it is socially acceptable to treat an elderly disabled woman?!? Shame on you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Went to San Diego CA for a family emergency. Had the car for seven days. The car worked fine, although, the price was not what was quoted on Expedia.com. The last day, after getting on the transit to the Airport I realized I left my expensive eyeglasses in the sunglasses compartment. I called the lost and found once I touched down in Florida (Tue). The automated machine said someone would contact me in 48 hrs. I waited until Saturday. Went online spoke with Live Chat which was completely useless. Finally, called again. Talked to a representative. The rep said he e-mailed three of the managers working in the San Diego area to contact me and that I would also be contacted 24 hrs later. It's now Tue. How unacceptable is this? I will never use this rental car company again and urge anyone wanting to not.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I got a quote from the Expedia site. When I got to the counter at Fox Rent a Car, I was told that a deposit was needed but it would be refunded upon return of the car. That's not what happened. I received my credit card statement and of course I was overcharged. Tried contacting them directly thru email, live chat and long distance telephone calls. Emails are not responded to, live chat tells you to call them and if you get thru on the phone, you get disconnected. I also tried going thru Expedia since that's how I got involved with these scammers. They are no help at all. If you're going to back these people up behind your name, you should know who your customers are dealing with. Very disappointed in Expedia.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Rented a car at Fox thru Expedia for our honeymoon in Los Cabos, Mexico. I expected to pay $300-$500 deposit for a small Fiat as that is the average at most car rental companies for 'smaller' vehicles. The Fox employee at the airport in Los Cabos then raises the deposit amount when he finds out my credit card has a $500 limit for the rental car deposit, tells me the Fiat has a $600 deposit!!! Really. First time I've heard of a $600 deposit on a small compact car, or any car for that matter aside from exotics. Then he GIVES me a Nissan Sentra with no explanation, puts a $300 deposit on my card, no questions asked, and points out the door. Based on my experience, this company is filled with scammers and salesmen aimed at ripping off clients by changing policies/prices, instead of providing a service with integrity. Horrible company.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

My husband and I rented a car in Vienna airport, they will pick you up at the airport and take you to a place outside, 15 minutes driving. When you return the car they will tell you that you made a scratch under the car to keep your deposit. I'm 13 weeks pregnant, I had to call the police and pay for a taxi (13 euros) to take us to the airport. They know the police can't do anything, we will take this guys to court to recover our 900 euros deposit. Please see other complaints all over the internet and stay away from Fox Rent A Car!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I ordered a luxury car for a week, driving to San Jose, CA from Orange County. Both cars they offered had 70,000 and 45,000 miles were dirty and smelly interior. After agreeing to rent a smaller but cleaner car with only 40,000 miles, and driving it for just an hour, we couldn't risk of driving it for 600 miles. We returned the car by next morning to the same location, and were told that we will be charged for one day only, and the dropping-off charges to a different location waived.

I had to rent from another company. Today, after unsuccessfully trying to talk to any Fox reps, we are still facing a charge for over $330. There is absolutely no customer service offered by this company, they don't reply to the e-mails, and when trying to call, it disconnects after a message informs you that all of them are busy, advising to call back.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

MASTER OF HIDDEN FEES, NOT A FRIEND OF DEBIT CARD USERS. Received an Orbitz online quote for a rental from Fox Rent A Car for about $130.00. Landed at Orlando International Airport MCO and headed over to Fox (which is not in the airport btw). Waited in a line at 1 AM with my family, didn't get to the counter till 2 AM. When we got to the counter we tried to use a Visa Debit Card to rent our vehicle. We were immediately hit with a $400.00 deposit fee for using a debit card. We tried to explain the situation BUT their rental representative became rude and belligerent toward us. Not having a major credit card with me at the time, we were forced to go back to the airport where we rented a car from Dollar Rentals for a reasonable price with our debit card. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM FOX AGAIN.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Arriving at the airport we saw a long line at Fox Rent a Car and could feel the anxiety among the patrons. Unfortunately it was slow moving. After some time it was our turn and we could not have been happier with the service we received. It was a stressful day for everyone but Marlon handled it like a true professional. He was pleasant, accommodating and made us smile. I will use Fox again because of the pricing and the staff. Great job Marlon!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I wish I had read the reviews on this site before I was tempted by price to rent from Fox. We rented a car in San Jose to drive to Carmel for car week. The first car they gave us barely made it to Carmel before it croaked. I called the "emergency" number and seriously waited on hold for 40 minutes before it cut me off. Three calls later, I finally reached a human being by calling their reservations number and begging them to put me through. They brought a replacement late that night in pitch dark. Luckily I made the driver shine a flashlight as I inspected the car. There wasn't one inch of the car that didn't have dents, scratches, and scrapes. Even the wheels were covered in road rash. In the morning, I discovered that our fine rental had 74,000 miles on it. Who rents cars with 74,000 miles? I will never ever rent from Fox again.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Usually, you can use your own car insurance or protection from your credit card should be accepted when you rent a car from any rental car company. This company "FOX" wanted to obligate me to get their insurance, they said: "not transfer insurance". But that thing was not stated in the contract when I rent online through a third party, CarRental.com. On the top of that, they do not have a desk at the airport in Miami, you will need to be transferred to a horrible place outside of the airport. I walked out and got a cab to my hotel. They never returned my deposit because the contract states no cancelation. But they never told me I was obligated to get their insurance. They just recommend getting an insurance, but never, never said to get them. This happened on June 1st, I believe.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Rented in Las Vegas. Made reservation direct, had a delay and was several hours late. Wanted to charge me 750.00 for rental. Actual cost was 175.00. Would not give me a car. I know that this company is lousy and always double book with another company for a backup. I repeat. Don't book. They are crooked.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I recently booked a prepaid car through carrentals.com to pick up from San Francisco Airport. Because of heavy flight delay and expected arrival in the middle of the night and 4 hrs after my set pickup time I called Fox Hotline ahead to assure I would still be able to pick up the car. After waiting on the phone for 45 minutes to get through I was assured they are open 24 hrs and would hold my car for 12 hrs. Fine, I believed... When we arrived at 12:30 a.m. there was a long line at the Fox counter (all other counters on the same level were closed), we waited for about 20 minutes for only 2 customers to proceed... Only then the guy behind the counter told everybody that only the next 3 people would get a car. "We ran out of cars".

I checked with another customer who had prepaid and could not believe what we had been told: There were actually cars in the parking garage and the person working for the returns told us "just to go to the counter" and we would get our cars. WE DID NOT!! They told us to come back at 6 a.m. or to get a refund.

WTF - how can they call themselves car rental company that serves 24 hrs and manages prepaid customers?! I don't think so... Also, their customer service email doesn't consider it necessary to answer to emails at all. They ignored my 2 Lyft receipts as well, which I asked them to refund because I had to take a ride instead of taking the rental car. In summary: forget about this company!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

On a Wednesday midday, waiting 2 hours in line. No other agency counters have any line at all. Wtf? And no one at Fox cares. Not worth the discount unless your time is worth zero. Rent from anyone else!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Liars, scammers, cheats. Hidden fees, unwanted aggressive notices, unexpected handling fees. Poor service, lack of transparency, terrible quality. Do not rent, do not do business, do no consider. Terrible.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We have some issues here: I have rented a car from FOX on Aug. 18th on San Jose airport. The contract says we will return the car with full filled gas, on 20th of Aug. and we did. However we still have been charged with $7.99/gallon of gas. We need straight this out, I will call my credit company to refuse pay the amount of $510.18. That's not all. When we returned the car, the gentleman asked us back to the parking slot, not the inspection station. I told him: "That's not my job." He get really mad. When we rented a car, at beginning it was a Jeep SUV, however, the car front tire was malfunction, we have to return and change a Kia SUV. That not all: The AC in the KIA SUV is in a very poorly running condition in the hot summer day. And the USB connection with my phone is malfunction as well. The car has very big scratching, which I have taken photos before I driving away.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We have some issues here: I have rented a car from FOX on Aug. 18th on San Jose airport. The contract says we will return the car with full filled gas, on 20th of Aug. and we did. However we still have been charged with $7.99/gallon of gas. We need straight this out, I will call my credit company to refuse pay the amount of $510.18. That's not all. When we returned the car, the gentleman asked us back to the parking slot, not the inspection station. I told him: "That's not my job". He get really mad. When we rented a car, at beginning it was a Jeep SUV, however, the car front tire was malfunction, we have to return and change a Kia SUV. That not all: The AC in the KIA SUV is in a very poorly running condition in the hot summer day. And the USB connection with my phone is malfunction as well. The car has very big scratching, which I have taken photos before I driving away.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I paid a week in advance for a car. The contract said I could not cancel my contract. When I showed up they didn’t have a car. I had six Peale, we were sent away with nothing. I had to go to another company and rent two cars. What a mess. Two times everything!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I rented with Fox because they had a Kia Sportage. I own one so I am comfortable with them. I had to prepay to get the better rate...which wasn’t very good. DONT EVER DO THIS! I called before my pickup date to ensure the Sportage. They would not guarantee. My contact had me picking up at 10 AM. I got there at 7 and they wanted to charge me an extra charge of $159.00. I thought for just that 3 hours. NO my total rental price would go from $409.00 to close to $1000. It was insane. I came back at 10 AM to long lines and NO Kia Sportage. They gave me a (new???) Rav 4 with 72428 miles on it and beat and dinged all over. I would not recommend this company. Once they have your money, you are screwed!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Rented a car from Fox Rent A Car at Ft. Lauderdale Airport. They use deceptive practices to get you on a contract, sell you extras as though they are mandated by the state you are renting in and once they get your credit card forget about it. Was told that due to local and state law that my private insurance nor credit card would cover liability on the rental card. I was told that I needed to purchase the PlatePass to avoid an additional $15 charge for each toll I went through. I told them what areas that I would be driving to and was told that there were several tolls. Did NOT go through one toll the whole week I was in the area!!

I tried to contact their office to ask for a refund on these unnecessary charges, but no one has answered the phone in 3 weeks - "due to high call volume". No wonder this company doesn't answer. They are scamming everyone. I've filed a complaint with the Florida Attorney General's Office (did online). Please file a complaint with so hopefully they will shut down this company or fine them heavily for their deceptive practices. (Booked car online for $185.75. Paid $366.87 after being lied to with an additional $150 deposit, which I did receive back in a couple of days after returning the car at the end of the week.)

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

What a terrible company. They are a So-called budget car rental company, but they are very expensive with sub par vehicles and their customer service is an absolute joke. The 1st car leaked oil. The replacement car I got was also in terrible shape. I had to clean it before I allowed my young kids into it, because I found glass in the car. The brakes shudder, the driver seat door leaks, the cruise control doesn't work properly, the aircon couldn't keep the car cool and there is a knocking sound at the right back wheel. This was a very substandard vehicle.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Fox (Car Rental San Jose, CA) was not very helpful with our pick up and made us wait for 2 hours even though they had vans available. They pushed real hard to get us to purchase Insurance even though we had coverage. The car was not serviced very well, was not that clean on the interior and had many scratches on the exterior which was noted. The tires were low and there was no windshield washer fluid.

Then We pre purchased the fuel which is stated at 3.65/gal $73.00, then they charged an additional 89.00 for fuel on the credit card separately. The total charge on the rental was more than stated on the contract total charge amount ($61.39 more). With the double fuel charge this was $150.39 overcharge. When we talk with customer no care they would not recognize the overcharges and said we could file a dispute with American Express to get an answer. We will not be renting from Fox again, I do not recommend renting from this company.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Booked through Expedia. Price quote was $261. Got there. They wanted to charge $750.00. A $400.00 deposit then kept adding more fees. We refused to pay, then they started backing down the prices. Then we ended up.using a different credit card because they would only do debit on my bank card. The employees spoke horrible English, hard to understand, we asked for someone else, they became very hateful. By the time we left they did charge a $200.00 deposit.

When we received our credit card statement the following month, we were charged the $400.00 and only $200.00 was returned, we called Expedia and Fox, we were told it was because we used a different card than the original and they had to add that person to the policy (even though she doesn't drive) so I paid for an additional driver that had no licence, but she had to be on it because we're using her credit card. I fought and argued for over a month and got NOwhere... NEVER AGAIN!!! Sorry so long.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Rented a car and prepaid on Carrentals.com. Showed up at SeaTac airport and they did not have a car for me and tried to put me in a lower-class vehicle. I said no. The representative (who was eating something the entire time he was talking to me and got whatever it was encrusted all over my credit card... so gross) went over to Dollar to see if they had a vehicle and would honor my price. They did; however, Fox would not pay Dollar for it and Dollar said they had to re-charge me for the rental and I would have to get the money back from Fox. Fox told me they did not have a manager on-site that could refund my money and I would have to either wait for a car in the class I paid for to be returned or pay Dollar and get my money back from Fox later.

I opted to pay Dollar for my car rental then after my trip I tried to contact Fox to get my money back. I tried multiple times and could not get through to anyone on the phone number provided on the website so contacted carrentals.com who were great and gave me the direct number to Fox's billing department. Contacted Fox's billing department and was able to get my money back. Such an awful experience. Will never rent from them again.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I rented a car from Fox through Priceline. I was quoted a price of 461.54 for the week. Final charges were 706.23. I was charged 111.92 for liability insurance which I did not request. Also charged a liability fee of 150.00 which was refunded. I was either deliberately deceived or misunderstood the charges. Tried for 3 weeks to speak to a representative and I am still not able to do so. Every attempt is met with a recording regarding them experiencing a high volume of calls. I would never have agreed to rent a car at $100 a day. Worst car rental experience I have ever had. I will never use Priceline or Fox Rent A Car ever again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Rented through Travelocity. At first, refused to honor Travelocity's price. On departure, overcharged for rental (vs. what Travelocity said they would charge.). Double-billed for extra charges for 150% of the promised, as well. Horrible counter experience. The car's dashboard light (a little wrench, signifying the need for service remained on the entire trip.) I guess we were lucky.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

My experience with Fox Rent a Car in Los Angeles is very bad. When I booking the amount of taxes and other fees are lack of details; they never told me that those fee will be rise if I got additional charge; Especially I notice the charge from them for fuel refill is extremely expensive. I will not rent a car from them anymore, and I strongly recommend that you should find another car rental company because Fox Rent a Car is doing little trick on you.

Fox Rent A Car Company Information