2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.7/5 (1334 ratings)

About Fox Rent A Car

Fox Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

This was in Phoenix, AZ. My family and I were having major problems with the car we rented from a different rental, and spent hours trying to fix it. An amazing man named, Beau, from Fox helped me rent a car after we left the first place. He had an amazing easy-going attitude which calmed my intense anxiety. We cracked jokes and had such an easy time getting a new car in just ten minutes! I'll remember you Beau! When returning out car, Norman helped us do a nice, quick check in. He was also an East coast man, which we bonded over. Loved the experience I had here! Will use again!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I've had a great experience with Melissa who helped me to select the right car for the trip and who diligently and patiently tried to accommodate (and succeeded!) all my needs. The Hyundai Elantra worked out like a charm for me. I am very happy!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 24, 2021

I booked Fox Rent a Car through Hopper as the pricing was about half the price of other rental car agencies. After booking, I read through the reviews and became very nervous as the reviews were pretty bad. Multiple hour wait times, no cars available, dirty & broken vehicles, unauthorized charges etc. We reserved a mini van and received a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan with 44K miles. It was definitely a base model - seats & lights were not automatic- but the vehicle ran fine and got us from point A to Point B.

The check in process could have been quicker. It took a half hour at the counter before it was our turn and another half hour in the garage to wait for our vehicle to be brought to us so about an hour in total. I read many reviews about additional charges that the consumer was not aware of. We were charged a $150 security deposit that was promptly refunded. We were also charged about $63 for an additional driver which I didn’t see on their website when booking even though we listed him on the booking. I am under the impression that if it had been a spouse it is no charge but this was my adult son. They did clearly state there would be an extra charge when we picked up the vehicle. I read reviews about extra charges regarding tolls but there were no tolls in our areas.

They offered us all of the additional insurances but we declined and they were not pushy as many other reviews have claimed and nothing additional was charged without our knowledge except the $63 for the additional driver that we agreed to. We brought the car back completely full as some reviews stated that they were told it was cheaper to have them fill it but in fact it was a huge charge. They did state that when the car was returned you must have the credit card you booked the reservation with as it would be swiped. My son returned the car which was the reason we put him as a driver and he is not in possession of our credit card. The only way around that was he had to give his credit card for the deposit and extra $63. It was a hassle and in the end they never asked to see his credit card when he returned the vehicle.

I guess in conclusion, this wasn’t my preferred rental car agency. The wait time was a bit long, and the vehicle was definitely no frills. It was more of a budget car rental experience but we did save several hundred dollars, the customer service agents were friendly, and for the price savings I was happy enough with our experience.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

In my last trip to Seattle, My rental car has been scratched by another vehicle in the parking lot while I was out for lunch. I report the accident to Fox and my credit card company. Later Fox emailed me. Says the amount is short. They will not accept the offer from Credit card Company. I checked with my credit card company. They said they are in the negotiation process and never had response from Fox. I emailed fox to let them talk to credit card company but they keep sending me the response and never reply to the credit card company. In the final email, I said I don't have the ability to make offer. Any negotiation should reply to credit card company directly. And Fox threaten me and send me a 14 day notice to have me pay the price otherwise they will turn me to collection agency. That is how they treat Customer. NEVER USE FOX CAR RENTAL IN MY LIFE.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

While in Miami had a reservation that the off airport site could not locate. Shuttle driver was playing his “personal music list” LOUD over the shuttle radio.. Gave my driver license for them to check for my reservation and they still couldn’t find it. Finally took the shuttle back to the airport to rent from a national known rental car company after I realized most other customers there were having same problem. Don’t waste your time.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

They tried to sell me on toll charges and cheaper gas, I said no and they still charged me. Wow. Customer service didn't help. Credit card dispute in process. Ridiculous company, seems like the representatives are getting commission. I just wanted a vehicle to drive, geez.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

We rented a car in Tampa, but due to hurricane our flight was cancelled & airport closed. Called Fox & they said we were responsible for car rental fees. We offered to switch rental to another city we could fly into, they refused & we got stuck paying for car we literally could not get to. Would NEVER use this company.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I had booked a car through Priceline app, in Fox rent a car Toronto on Sept 4th 2021. I booked it as it was a busy long weekend and there were no rentals available. I went to visit the office and I see it closed without any sign. There were 4 such customers as me who had booked and were waiting. There was a number, in which we had already left so many voicemails, with no response.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

First of all I waited in line upon arrival over 2 hours to get my car!! It was insane. Second, I was charged absolutely egregious administration fees on tolls. Over $200 in admin fees! Examples: $90 admin fee on a $13.36 toll. $75.00 admin fee on a $10.16 toll. Absurd!! The prices are very good and I had no complaint about the vehicle. Nothing special but drove fine and was reasonably clean but the service is poor and they will hit you hard in the pocket other ways so don't be fooled.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I rented a car for $300.00 for one week, I refused any insurance but pre-paid Tolls and gas. When I received my bill it was $624.00. VLF 1.99/day, ERF 1.50/day RLP 13.20/day and 1PP at $20. I called Fox and they did refund some of my money. Just make sure you have them disclose all fees prior to renting so you're not surprised.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

The rental car was no problem, the problem was we were supposed to get our deposit back in 7 to 10 days. No deposit returned after 12 days. A $357.55 ended up at $816.52 after all the fees and taxes. Called (855) 571-8413 and was on hold over 45 min till I finally hung up. Gonna try back later but so far customer service is non existent.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I tried for weeks to get a hold of a real person at Fox Rent A Car. I tried sending website correspondence and filing a complaint regarding a notice I received after renting a car on my vacation to Florida in June 2021. When you call Fox you are put on hold forever each time then the line only disconnects. I never got a call back from the number listed on back of the notice either. The company customer service is a joke.

The invoice sent was for $15.78 for $2 in unpaid toll(s) on the day I went to the TPA airport—which is complete bull because I paid cash at (any) toll I encountered on vacation in that car. My four children who were in the car with me also witnessed me reach into my purse and hand over cash to the man in the booth the day we returned the car at the airport.

When I finally got a return email from Fox they said the $2 was a charge for “electronic toll roads.” It said “The Toll Authority reported your rental vehicle driving through 2 toll facilities. These tolls do not have toll booths to pull off and pay the toll in cash. To pay for this toll, you would need your own account or transponder with the toll authority.”

What kind of bull is this?! Nobody passes through a toll on a free to the public highway WITHOUT knowing it or going through some kind of gate/barricade or booth or something that plainly shows you owe money to go through it!! The only toll I passed through, I paid in cash!! Yet Fox says because it paid this mythical $2 ‘electronic toll’ for me, it’s now entitled to charge me $15.78 — this is completely ridiculous.

I can’t believe a widowed single mom of four is being made to feel like a criminal by this rental company when I did not sneak through any toll area that didn’t have a sign /gate alerting you to pay. They are trying to rob people who don’t want the hassle of a fight. I paid the tolls in that rental car, period. I spent an outrageous $600 for a week rental here, and will NEVER again rent from this cheap ** company that tries to steal even more from its customers.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Do not believe the 4 star rating. I am fairly certain they pump the rating up with bots. I recently took a trip to Fort Myers FL, and I saw that they have the cheapest rates on Expedia. I made a reservation for a week at 320 dollars. When you get to the rental place, they pressure you into purchasing a plate that allows you to go through the tolls at 12 bucks a day. Turns out, you don't even need it. They also tacked on a 20 dollars a day insurance I didn't need either without my knowledge. I was completely floored when I saw my total bill. The 320 dollar quoted fee turned into a 575 dollar fee. Do not be enticed by their initial lower rates. They are a scam company that should not be allowed to operate. They just lost a customer. I will now spread word of their misdeeds and shady business dealings with whomever asks about car rentals.

Fox Rent A Car Company Information