2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.91/5

Fox Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

This was my 3rd time renting from Fox Car rental and I've never had any issues before but THIS time was the worst experience I have ever experienced! We reserved a Dodge Journey 2 months in advance online. We read the policies and even called a week before to make sure everything was good since we was traveling on a holiday week. We waited an hour in line just to get to the counter and it wasn't even busy. But now I see why it took so long. Everyone had problems with their car rental and the "policies".

Since we was paying with a credit card our deposit was $150 which the agent told us. I asked the agent (Nassef **) for the total price which he stated $417. He asked us to enter our credit card. We usually don't use credit cards but for rentals we so since most car rental places charge more for a deposit for debit cards. So we put just enough for the car rental and deposit plus a little extra. Once we inserted our credit card as instructed then Nassef told us the real total of $532 which made our card decline. We only $520 on the card since we were told and expected that the car rental will be under $500.

Once the card declined we told Nassef to just take off the Sun Pass charge and rerun the card. Then he stated that their policy was they cannot use the same card if it got declined and we had to use a debit card which charges $400 deposit on top of the car rental fee. We asked him to show us the policy that shows you can't rerun decline card and he didn't know where that policy was so we asked for a manager. The card only declined because he told us the wrong total amount when we asked. He then was trying to get us to use a debit card so they can charge us extra. The manager walked by twice but then when we asked to speak to the manager he was all of a sudden on a conference call in the back. We looked all through the website to find the policy and could not.

We have booked a week's rental two months in advance and we were traveling with five children so not being able to get a rental car was not an option and neither was paying an additional $400 from our debit card. Since it was a holiday week all other car rentals were sold out. We waited over 45 minutes to speak to a manager Mike **. In the meantime we called the corporate number to file a complaint which they also could not find the policy and just stated that it was a local policy and not written down anywhere. It's ridiculous that they will have a policy like that because people cards can decline for many reasons especially when traveling to a state like Florida where people come from out of town and internationally all the time and if their bank doesn't recognize the charge. They'll automatically decline it and they'll have to wait 5 minutes to get it approved.

They even said in that situation they could not accept the decline card again. Foolishness. After waiting for the manager he finally just gave the agent a thumbs up to rerun the card when he saw I was on the phone with the corporate office. At no time to the manager Mike even come to speak to us. The whole staff was unprofessional with many of the agents repeating the same policy which no one could find on the website or in their internal system. After almost 2 hours dealing with Fox Car rental the manager finally gave the thumbs up so we were able to get the car rental in which we were told to pick any car in row 7. The agent says since they didn't have a Dodge journey available which we requested just pick any other car in that row which we did.

Once we were leaving and handing the paperwork outside they told us that the car we chose we could not get because it was from row 8 Even though it was parked in row 7. So then we had to turn around and switch cars after we have put all of our luggage and five kids packed up in the car. The guy working in the garage apologized that the car we chose was parked in the wrong row which was not our fault at all. Overall this was a terrible experience and I will never rent from Fox rental Car again!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Everything about this rental was a rip off. It's amazing they are still in business. The car we received was nothing like what we reserved. The car we reserved was to be 4-wheel drive. We received a much smaller car with no 4-wheel or even all-wheel. Considering we were driving in snow that detail was very important. The car was very dirty. Obviously it had not been cleaned - and for sure not sanitized. Then we received a credit card charge for $315 over the agreed price. There is no way to contact customer service to inquire about the overcharge.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I rented a car from these people, a cheap deal in Aug 2020. Stood in line to get my car. Over an hour. Had about 2 people there working to do intakes for pickups. Finally got my car, they didn't have what I wanted, but offered an upgrade. That was fine. Since the first experience wasn't so bad I tried them again in Nov 2020. HORRIBLE, just don't do it. First, my flight departure changed in Oct so I called cust svc. On hold 90 mins only to be told I can't modify my "pay now" reservation under ANY circumstances. Huh? I didn't change my flight. The airline did. Said I had to cancel the reservation but I wasn't allowed.

After a TON of bickering was told they can't, sorry, but I could arrive a day early and pick up a car and pay a day rate of like $160 with taxes for ONE DAY. My rental reservation was for $20/day. I called and after 3 hrs on the phone was told they'll give me the extra day for $20. I arrived on my travel date and the lady at the desk said if I wanted to pick up early I had to cancel reservation and pay penalty? No way. After bickering and telling them I was on the phone to their lousy cust svc for over 3 hrs in Oct she cancelled it finally, redid the reservation but charged me $25 for the car not $20.

By this time I had enough. I took the jeep I wanted. Then the jeeps smelled awful I had to go buy an air freshner. Sick. THEN later that day I had a flat out in the desert. No roadside nothing. They make you PAY for roadside IF you want it. I said, "No thanks, I have AAA" and went. When I got the flat I found a place for air, fortunately. That was Friday Nov 6. Today is Nov 9. I'm on hold 14 mins asking them what do I do, do I fix the flat or do they fix it. 14 mins on hold to ask a question. Bear in mind I had 3 hrs on the phone trying to change a reservation they wouldn't change. NEVER EVER USE THESE PEOPLE EVER AGAIN AS LONG AS I LIVE, EVER EVER EVER.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I rented a car from this company and should have known when I was going through the process of picking up that this company was shady as hell. They gave me a hard time because I did not have a return flight when I picked up the car and required a larger deposit. I was traveling because my father has just passed and I did not know when I would be leaving. When I booked my flight home I booked it for 6 am and called the Fox company to confirm they were open 24 hours. No one answered the phone and their recording stated they were open 24 hours.

I got to the company at 4:30 am for my 6 am flight and they were closed. Security guard was extremely rude and told us we could not leave the car anywhere and to wait until 5 am when they open. I missed my flight and had to pay an extra fee to rebook my flight. Not only that I had carry my father's ashes with me home and was on a strict time frame to get home. This company has no communication and not worth the hassle. Pay a little extra and use a reputable company.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I tried to cancel my reservation to find out there's no refunds. On top of that nobody never answer the phone. I went to Las Vegas location and waited 2 hours in line to speak to someone. I got the same answer. No refunds. Worst experience ever.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I Rented a car for 5 days from Austin Texas. I Requested a 12pm pick up - 4pm return. At the counter I notice that it says 12pm return. I explained that I requested 4pm drop off and that was in my price - Man at counter-"I'll change it." Upon returning the car at 4pm I was charged for a late return. Man at return "You will have to call and explain that you changed the time." Also at check out counter- "Do you want a toll transponder for $12 day or $60?" "NO- I Don't -I will pay the tolls in cash." I hit 2 toll booths in 5 days. Both were unmanned due to Covid with huge signs saying drive through- pay by mail. Total toll charges were $9.64. I was charged additional $30 admin fee by FOX. This is USURY. Either purchase our $60 toll pass, or get charged admin fees! Such unscrupulous practices.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Rented a car through Priceline and selected Fox Rent A Car in Miami. When I got to the counter they immediately said I must pay an extra $25.99 for insurance. It was company policy. They are liars and scam artist. I was told later, "Just complain after you return the car and they will take it off." I argued with the counter person for quite a while. Do not rent from them. I talked to Priceline who I booked it through and they would not back me. They are rude and thieves. I travel everywhere and have never had this issue. Ever....

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Terrible! Horrible!!! Disgusting!!! I'm on the line to check out the rental car that I reserved at the Tampa Bay airport and I've waiting an hour. While the rest of the rental car agencies are devoid of customers with bored employees at TBA and I'm on this line with a 100+ customers! If I knew Fox Rent A Car was a complete shit show, I would have paid double at a legitimate car rental agency. I'm reporting them to the BBB. They have only 2 employees at a small counter servicing 100+ customers. No crappy deal is worth this. If I can get my money back, I would have in a heartbeat! I'm so angry right now!!!! This business is pure evil! I had to wait 3 HOURS to get my crappy rental!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I reserved an economy car for a week in Denver for my friend's wedding in Telluride in September so my boyfriend and I could road trip and enjoy the areas. Upon getting into the shuttle from the airport, the van smelled of strong scented fumes to mask an unpleasant smell, and the seats were dirty/had stains. We were relieved to get out of that shuttle! When we arrived to pick up the rental car, my boyfriend stayed on the other side of the building with our luggage and to keep socially distanced.

The male associate assisting me upon knowing we were driving to Telluride, told me an economy car would not work and that I had to have an SUV type vehicle. In the past, if an associate thought I needed an upgrade they generally offered it complimentary. In this case he told me the economy car would not make it (he literally told me it would likely break down) and I was pushed aggressively into signing into a higher sale for fear that the car would break down on us. He also said not to worry about filling the tank and asked no other questions.

On the trip we quickly noticed the vehicle smelled bad, the outside was beat up to the point I had to take pictures as proof it was before us, and the breaks were in need of replacing. The breaks were so bad I had to press it to the floor before it would come to a full stop. I returned the vehicle with a half a tank of gas, and informed the intake guy of it. I went in to the bathroom and wanted to speak to someone before our flight, but there were at least 15 people waiting in a line. We didn't have the time if we wanted to reach our flight, so we left.

The next day I received an e-receipt with the upcharges including a charge for a full tank of gas. I sent in a review on my experience, but no one has reached out at all. We had an absolutely poor experience and I was nickel and dimed. I regularly rent from other well known companies and have always had wonderful experiences on a budget. This experience was horrible, and they took $500 from me--more than if I had gone somewhere else. With this experience, I would NEVER recommend them to friends or family.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

We were told that it was $20 a day for insurance. Then it turned out that they had 5 insurance products each at $20 a day. Very dishonest with product. Then the car was dirty and windshield was cracked. Rental office was dirty and not well kept.

Fox Rent A Car Company Information