Fox Rent A Car

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I arranged for my daughter to rent a car at the Lihue airport location. Being only 21 and a first time renter, I did lots of research and was thorough on the exact costs she would expect. She went to the rental counter and was told she needed additional car insurance which was already covered by her credit card, which included unnecessary items such as roadside assistance etc. By the time she left the counter they had scammed her into almost $300 in additional charges. When I used the Fox online chat feature... I was told rates are subject to change. In addition when you call the Lihue location they never answer the phone and you're forced to play phone tag. Just a horrible experience and Fox clearly employs people with no scruples.

I recommend you use another rental agency. Long lines, additional charges (almost double what was disclosed at the time of reservation), bad customer service, non-disclosure, and just an overall bad experience. There was no problem with the car. I've rented from FOX before, and been good (the only reason I'm giving them two stars), but after this week, I will not go back. When I asked about the additional charges, they said that they were emailed to me when the reservation was made. Why would they not disclose these fees WHILE the reservation was being made? It makes absolutely no sense to me. Please do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.

I rented an auto in Las Vegas NV. First off they are off-site so you must take a second bus to the location where there is a long wait. Then you find out you need to purchase their rental insurance for a large fee ($200 for 9 days). Then you find out you must return the auto 55 minutes before it is due back or you are tagged with a large fee. The auto selection is poor and the auto had several large dings and scuffs. The inside had stains on the seats, very poor quality, not what you expect for the price paid. I think I would have done better with a larger national chain, they are not deal. Stay away from them and never book from a 3rd party site (Expedia etc.).

First I have rented from on at least 10 occasions and have an account on file. Since I rent with a debit card there are always certain requirements. Previously I was asked to have complete flight itinerary, I complied and car rented. On 3/7/17, same routine this time they wanted utility bill. I did not have access and do not own smartphone. I asked them to take larger deposit said they had to follow policy. My profile is on file, same address, phone number and other information. 11:00pm in Los Angeles no car. Walked to several other rentals, no cars or $$$$$. Got a return flight home $$$$$. I had to rent room $$$$$. Bad experience that could have been avoided with a little customer service.

Avoid this place. Long lines to check in even with a prepaid reservation. Cars are not ready to drive out even after the long wait. One and half hours later they try to give us a car with a flat tire but said they would put air in it. Really! Why did it go flat! Looking for another vehicle but must find the keys first. Now they need to wash and clean it too. This place should close.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?

I will never rent with Fox Rent a Car. The girl at the counter was HORRIBLE, rude, actually mad I didn't upgrade, buy insurance or buy the Sun Pass for each day. I showed her insurance card, told her I was driving to one destination and staying. Never had someone so snotty, roll her eyes, snap her gum and on and on. I tried to be nice, it was Valentine's Day. I said, "How nice pretty flower." The people in the lot were nice, the check out guy was nice but Customer Service was HORRIBLE.

I made reservations through Expedia a week before I went on vacation. My reservations for car was confirmed, however when I got to my destination (Costa Rica), on 2/19/17, a Fox representative showed up at the airport and told us there were no cars available. What's the point of making a reservation? Never again.

When I picked up my car there were problems from the start. Which included the wrong car, and trying to change the car I was renting from a hero Cherokee to a minivan. I didn't notice a problem till I started putting my daughter’s car seat in the car. It had a odd smell, but I just thought oh well this will last until we reach her father then we will use that car seat. I left the airport and then I figured out what the smell was. My stupid rental car smelled like marijuana. I was so mad. My daughter was in the car with me and she has severe allergies.

As soon as I reach our hotel I called Fox rental to complain, the lady her name was Lauren on the phone was helpful and said I wasn't very far from Oakland I could drive my car there, and exchange it. So then I drive to Oakland Airport, well I did and after driving an hour they told me it would be an hour wait and I wasn't guaranteed a car since I rented from SFO. I was so frustrated. So me and my husband decided to try to let it air out and spray it with spray. We didn't have a choice but to deal with it until I flew out on Tuesday. This was the worst experience for me and my family. My daughter had to use her nebulizer for an asthma attack midway thru the trip. Never again will I use this horrible company.

Fox Rent a Car Ft Lauderdale Fla. worst nightmare - I had a prepaid rental agreement. I should have known that something was wrong when You had to pay upfront?? When I got there, there were 3 people in front of me at 9PM. We waited for the one agent at the counter for 3 hrs. Three more agents were in the back room but wouldn't come out. Got going at midnight. I paid for a jeep and got a small Kia Sportage, way too small for my disabled Husband. They brought out the Sportage, it was wet and I inspected it and saw nothing damaged.

The next morning I found 3 dings in the passenger door, that I was sure I would be responsible for. We planned on a long road trip some of which was down to the Florida keys. We were in Hollywood Florida when I locked my keys in the car. I tried to call their roadside assistance and got a recording, did that for hours. Finally was told to call a locksmith at my expense. I figured it was several miles to Fox rental car at the Ft Lauderdale airport to get an extra key for the 2016 Kia Sportage. It cost me $50 round trip for the cab only to be told they didn't have extra keys. They said to call a locksmith. All while my disabled Husband stood by the car to make sure it wasn't ticketed or towed. I got back and called a locksmith who charged me $550.00 to make a new key and remote.

When I talked to Fox later, they said I should have paid for roadside assistance. I wasn't even offered that option??? All of this took over 6 hrs and $600 later. Needless to say I hope my ranting will help someone else not make the same mistake I did, an expensive lesson. I just Thank God this didn't happen in the Florida Keys, we would still be there??? When I brought the car back they said it wasn't completely filled and that I owed them $5.00 a gallon. I said I just filled it 1/2 mile ago. They were going to charge me and that's it. They take a $150 or more deposit on your CC when You get the car?? I would say this is literally highway robbery and there is not much you can do about it but just warn the public about them!!! SAD!

We rented a car from the Salt Lake City on February 19th, the shuttle bus picked us up right away. As we went to a offsite pickup we stood in line for over 1 hour. They only had two people helping out at the counter. It was very frustrating. Our agent did give us a brand new car which was very nice. On the return of bringing the car back the line was out the door. We were able to check out but it took about 45 minutes to check out. Luckily we had plenty of time for our flight. I would highly recommend not using this company to save a little money and not have the aggravation of waiting.

At the Tampa location, when picking prepaid car, they insisted I had to pay $150 more for minimal liability coverage. After saying 3x that I prepaid in full and refused to pay any more, the agent said the magic words, "OH, SO YOU DECLINE" the additional coverage. On then did he relent. Most renter's personal auto insurance covers this liability as do many credit cards. By the way, the car had a big hole in the carpet near the driver's gas pedal foot and only when I strenuously insisted, would they make a tiny dot on a pre-rental inspection form. CHECK ALL PARTS OF THEIR CARS VERY VERY CAREFULLY and get damages clearly notated. NET: it is a hassle renting from FOX and rent from them only if you are willing to deal with it to save a good amount.

They were great from the pickup at the airport to the drop off at the Customer Care center to checking out the car I reserved and not trying to sell me anything extra like insurance, GPS or any extras. But they were super courteous and friendly and helpful. And when I returned the car two weeks later it was the same.

Rented a car on 2/8 from FLL location. Drove to Pt. St. Lucie. The car would not start the day we were heading back to the FLL airport. Called the location they said they would come get the car and bring another one. 2 hours later they still had not left the FLL location!! My brother had to drive us to the Airport so we wouldn't miss our flight. In the interim they came and picked up the car and charged MY CARD OVER $400!!! We are on the phone with them as I type for over 2 hours! Tried to track down corporate office in LA... nothing!!

I was charged $76 for a half gallon of gas. I topped it off 30 miles from airport. Was told I would be charged for a gallon of gas... surprise! I was told I drove the car 800 miles and I should have 3-4 receipts to show I had put gas in it. I drove it less than 300 miles and filled up once and topped off prior to return. I had receipt for top-off but not the fill. This is crazy. There were additional charges as well. One star as the vehicle was nice and not its fault that Fox is crooked.

I rented a van from Fox Rental Car at San Jose Airport. It had some dents and I went through them with the lot attendant making sure they were listed. Upon returning I went through the list with the lot attendant. There were no new dents. Now a month later I received a letter that they are pursuing me for damages. I can't think of a way that would be worthwhile to fight it. My word and three others against some vague corporate entity. Sleazy. I will go elsewhere and pay for a car without dents.

My sister and I planned a trip to the grand canyon and Sedona and booked a rental car from Fox Rent A Car company through Expedia, which we planned on driving from Las Vegas and returning in Phoenix Arizona. We were hoping to enjoy a nice drive from Las Vegas on our way to the grand canyon, after which we were doing to make our way to Sedona and finish off in Phoenix. All went according to plan except for the rental car. In my attempts to cut the cost of my trip, I booked a car rental reservation with Fox Rent A Car, because they were offering the best rate for the type of car we wanted, which was a SUV cross over. They were offering a Kia Sportage for $14.89 per day, whereas their competitors were offering the same type of car for twice as much. I should have suspected that this deal was too good to be true, but I figured that this car rental company must be reputable as they are listed on Expedia. Wrong!!!

Our troubles began the moment we arrived. Firstly, this rental car company takes you off site from the airport miles away, so there are no other options once you have arrived. Our problem was that we needed to get to the Grand Canyon by 11 pm, otherwise the hotel was going to give away our room as they were booked and our flight was delayed by 2 hours, so we had about 4 hours to get to the grand canyon and we didn't have a choice at this point. The representative at the Las Vegas office informed us that we were charged a drop off fee of $189.85 and that we were being charged $150 renter's fee. When we asked what the fee was for, he simply said that it was policy and that the money would be returned to our account within 2-5 days of this transaction.

The representative also stated that he felt that the drop fee was excessive and that it was being imposed by the Phoenix branch and suggested that we discuss the matter with them and hopefully they can reduce the fee. But at this point, we had to pay this fee in order to get the car. And given our time sensitive situation, we were forced to take the rental car. I spoke to a representative from Expedia the following day about this matter of hidden fees that were not indicated during the booking process. The Expedia representative attempted to get a hold of someone at Fox Rental Car but was unsuccessful after multiple attempts. We were told to follow up in a few days, as Expedia attempted to get hold of them again.

On arrival to Phoenix, where we dropped off the vehicle and spoke to the representatives at Fox Rent A Car, who informed us that the Las Vegas branch imposed the drop off fee and they could not help us with it. The representative also stated that the drop fee was excessive and when I asked about the breakdown of the drop off fee, she informed me that I was charged a daily rate for the rental car within the amount estimated for the drop off fee in addition to the daily rental car rate. Nice!! She informed me to contact the customer service department in order to discuss a partial refund for being overcharged. The Phoenix representative stated that if I had rent this same car from Phoenix for a drop off in Las Vegas I would not have been charged this excessive amount. She even warned me that I should just call the customer service department instead of dealing with Las Vegas branch as they will give me the run around.

Well she was right about getting the run around but she was wrong about the customer service department, as they were the worst part of the experience. Not only was I overcharged with an excessive drop off fee which was more than twice the cost of the rental car, but I was also charged a $150 fee, which was supposedly being refunded to me, but which never happened. The customer service representatives were the worst I have ever dealt with. They were ignorant and refused to admit any wrong doing. The representative attempted to explain to me that I received a discounted rate for the drop off fee because I booked it with Expedia and that I should have been charged $200. So basically I should be happy with that discounted rate and I should basically shut up!!

After a few minutes of a pointless conversation, I requested to speak to her manager and she reluctantly transferred me to the “so called manager” who never answered. I was able to leave a message. I called back twice and one customer service representative hung up on me and the other transferred me to a nonfunctional number.

I called Expedia in my frustration and spoke to a customer service representative, who was also able to reach someone at Fox while I waited on the phone. The Expedia representative notified me that he discussed the hidden fees with Fox Rent A Car agents and stated that the $150 fee was stated on their contract and that it was not in line with the usual practices of other well known and reputable rental car companies such as Enterprise, Avis and Alamo. In fact, he was not aware of any other companies charging this fee and he was not able to receive a good answer for the reason for the fee. He informed me that he told them that this was inappropriate and the Fox representative assured him that I would be refunded this amount.

The Expedia representative was also alarmed at the fact that they had not processed my refund even though I was charged on 1/30/17 and it is now 2/6/17. He also informed me that I was not going to be refunded the full amount of $150 but instead $149.71 and he was not sure why. I subsequently contacted the Fox Rent A Car customer representative about this discrepancy because now I am pissed. Not only was I overcharged an excessive drop off fee, but I was charged a bogus $150 fee for which I don’t know what and they have not refunded my money and now I hear they are not even refunding the full amount. It's 29 cents but now it is the principle of it. I used a very harsh tone with the representative, but at this point, I didn’t care because I was dealing with crooks and they didn’t care so why should I?

I demanded a full refund including my 29 cents and I demanded to know the breakdown for the drop off fee and why it was so excessive. I informed the customer representative, that not only was Fox Rent A Car service a disgusting company but they were criminals who advertised cheap rate but overcharge in hidden fees. They were cold and rude on the phone and that they had no customer service expertise. I informed them that I will be taking the matter further as I will receive my refund and the matter of this drop off fee will not be dropped by me until I received a satisfactory response. I was told the manager who call me back.

About 2 hours later, someone name Samir called me back and stated that his “manager” asked him to call me back. WOW!!! So I have yet to hear from the manager about this matter. Samir then proceeded to try to explain the various fees. He literally said that the $150 fee was “JUST IN CASE MONEY” Say WHAT!! When I asked what does that mean, he said that they charge this fee just in case someone doesn’t return the car when expected they have this money just in case. JUST CASE YOU DECIDE TO RUN OFF WITH THEIR BUSTED KIA SPORTAGE!! These people are losers!! I said to him everyone else charges the necessary fees when that situation happens and not before. Basically Fox Rent A Car uses false advertising to get customers.

They are located away from the airport so that they have a captive audience, then they charge you multiple hidden fees, such as a bogus $150 fee, you know "JUST IN CASE" which they promise to refund and I have this in writing yet I am still waiting for my refund and they don't plan on a full refund. They will even try to take any amount they can get which includes 29 cents. And they charge excessive rate for drop fees and think that they are not accountable for their actions once you signed the contract. I scolded the representative on the phone and informed her that I am entitled to arbitration or a hearing in small claims court. We have rights as customers and we deserve more than this. I have called my credit card company to dispute the charges and to prevent Fox from charging anymore bogus fees to my card, as they have done to other customers.

I will also be notifying the Better Business Bureau as well as writing reviews on every travel and customer service website I can find. Fox Rent A Car is a scam and they are liars and thieves. They charge hidden fees like just in case money. JUST CASE YOU DECIDE to RUN OFF with their BUSTED KIA SPORTAGE!! These people are losers!! STAY away from FOX rental car!! GO with real professions like ENTERPRISE!! And Enterprise will pick you up and you don't have to take a ghetto shuttle to some ghetto off site location, where you will be ripped off by liars!!

They try to guilt you into getting more insure coverage from them, even though I told them I paid for the extra coverage online when I ordered the rental car. I thought they were not even going to let me out of the building and told me my coverage from online was not enough & the wrong kind of coverage.

I recently have rented a car from Fox Rent A Car online. I rented for 26 days in istanbul. Before I got the car I called customer service and asked them about insurance. They told me all the cars are full covered so in case of an accident or any mechanical problems, I wont be responsible for it. This was what they told me. So jan 1st 2017 I picked the car at the airport in istanbul. The car that I got was all falling apart, filthy, and not running good. I just picked it up because I had 10 hours flight and wanted leave the airport as fast as I can.

A couple days later the car broke on me. I called them, told them the problem and requested another one. They told me I have to bring the car back to airport which was 2 hours driving where I stayed. I said "ok Ill bring the car." I drove 2 hours and got the airport. They gave a little better car. When I came back to home, before I parked the car the car tire got stuck and made grinding noise. I could not move the car. I called them again. They told me "when we gave you the car, the had no problem". Therefore I am responsible for cost of the repair. I said f word and got fixed the car. It costed me $100 to fix it. I know they wont pay me back. This was the last time I rent a car from them. Never, never, never rent again. IF YOU HAVE BRAIN DONT USE THEM. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE.

I rented a car from (Fox Rent-a-Car), I was looking for a cheap rental so I won't bothered by the appearance of the business or lack of polite employees. I had no problem receiving the car or returning it, or so I thought. Two weeks after the return I received an email stating that the car was involved in an accident and I was being charged for the damage. When I pulled in to the lot an employee inspected the car and told me to wait for the receipt, I did and I left, now this. I guess this is how they make their money. Suck you in with low prices and then screw you with a bogus claim. DO NOT GET SCREWED OVER BY THESE CRIMINALS!!! When I turned in the car, the employees were throwing a football around inside the building. Just to give you an idea of how professional they are.

They have poor service and product. Was very disappointed with our last rental in San Francisco because I was old that bridge toll charges would be $11/day and that we'd only be charged when we crossed the bridge as I went over 3 times but was charged for 5 days which the attendant guaranteed me.The charge ended up being $11.49/ day instead of $11 so we were charged $57.45. She said the only way we could pay otherwise was by phone only which I questioned her twice on.

I later found out you could pay $7.50 by credit card on the computer by day or days in advance with your license plate which she did not say was available.The car had over inflated tires showing 45 psi instead of recommended 35 psi. The two front tires were down to the wear bar on the tire and I felt that I was going to hydroplane in the very wet weather that weekend. The car had 62,000 miles and when I questioned the guy when I returned it about the performance he just said it was due for a maintenance and that was it.

The worst experience ever had relating to transportation on any vacation taken. In every aspect it was ridiculously unprofessional and just devastating for her to have to endure at the very first step into what was supposed to be a vacation. Financially tried to resubmit everything two more times and noticed only by a fluke thank goodness - and it was months later. An emotional cancer vacation journey for a daughter (disabled military vet) and mother (stage four cancer). A HEARTLESS COMPANY.

Don’t bother renting with Fox. I made a booking with Fox because they looked cheap for good cars. But then you get hit with so many fees they turned out more expensive than Enterprise. I received a dirty old Toyota Camry when for less from Enterprise I could of had a new Nissan Altima. After I returned the car later on I see on my credit card that I have been billed for tolls. My tolls amount to about $6 but with their admin fee I had to pay nearly $150.00. They never sent me an email to let me know this. I rent from Enterprise now and when I get the same tolls all they charge for is the actual toll bill which would be $6. I have phoned them and when you speak to them they just don’t care. I will never ever ever rent from them again and I suggest you don’t either.

Despite the fact that we reserved and fully paid for a minivan a week before our trip, when we arrived at the counter we had to argue with the company over the rate, and fight back to avoid add-ons (the counter person was quite angry that we would not agree to a larger car, extra insurance or prepaid gas). It was 10:15 p.m., there was no line, and we had a pre-paid reservation, but it still took 45 minutes to complete the transaction. They demanded a $123 deposit (which was never disclosed when we made our reservation through their website), telling us they would refund us $150 when we returned the car. We tried to get an explanation for this, but the answer was nonsensical.

When our paperwork was finally finished and the clerk finally found the keys (took him 10 minutes), we went out to our car (nearly 50,000 miles and quite banged up), only to find the "check engine" light was on and would not go out. When we asked about that, they said the mechanic would not return until 8pm the next night, so we could either take another car or live with the minivan. Since we were transporting our family of seven, and every other car rental place in the area was closed at this hour, we had no choice but to take a chance on the minivan.

We returned the car exactly on time, four days later with a half tank of gas per our rental agreement (it was rented to us with a half tank). We even washed the car before we returned it, having read reviews by prior customers who were charged fees for returning a dirty car. Several days later, we noticed a new charge on our credit card from Fox Rental Car for $46.97. Neither when we returned the car nor later were we ever notified by Fox of any additional charges owed, and we filed a dispute with our credit card company, who reversed the charge. Three weeks after returning the car, our $123 deposit still had not been returned, despite our calls to the corporate office.

When we finally got hold of someone in the office where we rented the car (no easy task, since they never answer the phone, or you get put on an automatic hold for 30 minutes and no one ever picks up), we were told the deposit would be kept since we returned the car two days late. This was absolutely false; fortunately, we had retained our check-in paperwork showing the date of return. After emailing it to the company, we were told the deposit would be returned. As of this writing, we are still waiting...

I am always up for a bargain (and this place was a whopping $260 cheaper than the next cheapest rental car company for our four-day rental). However, I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER rent from this place again. The savings is not worth the risk that the car you rented will not be there, or will be unsafe to drive. Fox's online reservation system should tell you that you will have to leave a deposit (which you may not get back for weeks, if at all) and that you will have to dispute totally random and unsubstantiated charges. Stick with the named brands, unless you have the stomach to put up with this company's negligent (at best) and deceitful practices. I hope someone initiates a class action soon and puts this company out of business.

Like many others reviews, I arrived at SFO airport Fox car rental counter at around 10:15 PM. One agent on duty, four people in line, 1 hour twenty minutes to get car. My reservation was for a "premium four-door", they had none. They offered me a Mustang, (full size, two door) which was unacceptable because we would have four people to tour around town and the wine country. No credit or discount was offered for this downgrade. Then when I enquired, they did have a SUV four door but held me hostage to a 35% upcharge from my original booking. I believe this is the way they normally do business. Never again for these crooks.

We used Fox Rent A Car for our trip in Florida and WOW, I do not know how those people sleep at night. It looks as though you are getting an amazing deal until you actually go in and purchase your rented car. They will lie and say their "compact" cars are old and do not have automatic windows, no bluetooth, etc. which is all a scam to get you to upgrade. There are so many hidden fees, it cost double what we paid for our other car rental through another, much nicer company - Enterprise. DO NOT go with Fox Rent A Car, you will regret it and end up spending way more for horrible service.

The Fort Lauderdale car rental office discarded my online reservation made through Foxrentacar.com with the confirmed price. They charged me a higher price and created a new reservation because I picked up the car at 6pm instead of 12pm. They lied telling me that car should be picked up within 3 hours. The online reservation terms show it should be held for 12 hours. Then they forced me to buy rental insurance and refused to take an option of signing a waiver. They told me that my insurance will not cover $1M liability that they require on their policy. I was able eventually to sign a waiver by having my son on the phone who explained to them my rights.

They also charged my credit card extra $150 on top of the rental price and did not tell me about that. I only discovered that on my credit card statement. I changed my reservation terms and billing department told me I am due a refund of $390, which I will get at the location when I return a car. I asked to send me an email confirmation so I have proof of amount of refund due in case the liars at the car rental office do not process the refund. The billing department told me they have no way to send this information over to me. I was able to get the printout of my billing status and refund due only by posting to their Facebook page and sharing this message to the open public.

At 1pm today I requested an extension of rental time and received a quote for $240 confirmed through email showing the new return date of 1/22/2017. At 3PM I decided to make an extension and submitted request online. This time the price for the same period was $427. I called the extension department to find out why this happened. Guess what. The agent told me that online price shown in the morning was incorrect. If I were to pay $240 today I would owe additional $187 at the time of drop-off. So, ignoring price confirmed by email is a regular practice for this company. First they ignored my original reservation and now I was about to be charged $427 instead of $240 only because they have my credit card and can charge whatever they want.

We recently rented a car through Fox in Florida. First of all, the last thing you want to do after a long travel day is wait more. The car was not even ready. It was being washed and this was after we filled out all of the paperwork. The customer service representative up sold us on a toll pass. I asked him first how many tolls we would go through. I told him where we would be traveling to and from for our whole vacation. The toll pass was $70 and he said we would go through a lot of tolls in the Orlando area so it would be worth getting the pass. We went through 3 and each toll was $1.25 a piece. When I called to complain to customer service, they told me they could remove it, but we would be responsible for paying whatever tolls we went through at $15 a piece. They lied and trapped us to get $70 out of us. We will never use them again.

This was, by far, the worst retail experience I've ever had. It took the only two counter agents almost 2 hours to get me checked in and this was in the middle of the night. I arrived at the location at 1:20 am. I didn't leave the location until 3:15 am. At that, it only took me 10 minutes to get to my car and leave the lot. The entire time was waiting in line. This is beyond pathetic and no, they will never get my money again. This kind of wait time was unacceptable when they have giant signs bragging about 'unlimited miles of smiles' for their 'great' customer service. The counter agents didn't care but you could also tell that this location is horribly mismanaged. They should have had at least 3 more agents handling the check-in process.

Omg worst rental car experience EVER. Would rate zero stars if I could. Shuttle from Orlando airport dumped us at a packed office, where others said they've been waiting two hours for a car. 20-plus people ahead of us and two clerks. Never, never again. We are trying to book a car from a reputable company on our cell phone, while we wait. Only possible bright spot was our shuttle driver, Angel, nice guy! Overall -- STAY AWAY!

I booked a rental via car booking.com. I explicitly ordered a Jeep Cherokee so I could use the standard 4-wheel drive. I ordered a book now ahead of time, thus putting full payment down. I go to pick up my SUV at the SFO rental place. They inform me that no Jeep Cherokee are available even though I explicitly ordered the car paying full price ahead of time. They then inform me that the available options are a Rav 4 or a Jeep Patriot, neither of which are 4 wheel drive. I ask why my reserved SUV is not available. The man helping me was very nice but he was unable to answer my question. Instead he tells me his manager says that if I want the car that I thought I ordered, I had to pay an upcharge of TWICE what I paid originally. I was basically extorted money for Fox's lack of car supply. Either they didn't have the car they promised me or they knowingly mislead me on their listing.

I ended up having to pay the money for a Dodge Durango (full size - way bigger than I needed) because of lack of other options. I am so angry and disappointed by the switcheroo Fox did and vow never to use this rental company again. I also intend to write multiple negative reviews and inform my work and acquaintances never to use this rental service under any circumstances. In short, prepaid for specific car, wasn't available, gave underqualified substitutes, forced ridiculous pay increase to get what was originally advertised. Please do better than screwing people over.

Fox Rent A Car Company Profile