1.10/5
  • 1 star
Based on 153 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Fox Rent A Car

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 11, 2018

722 Fox Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Rented a car from Austin, TX airport for a few days. Agent at Fox counter told me I would be charged a $15 admin fee for tolls. She did NOT tell me it would be $15 PER TOLL transaction. I ended up with a bill (mailed to me) of $99.45 for six toll transactions that were only about $1 to $2 each. Had I known this would be the case, I would have opted for their flat rate $45 electronic pass. This is criminal, Fox. You should be ashamed of yourselves. You should ensure your customers are thoroughly informed. I will NOT do business with you again.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Do not use Fox rental ever! I selected the manager select option, but when went to pick up the vehicle in Denver, they said there's only minivans, and I didn't need a minivan, because it was just my mom and I, but he wouldn't budge. So we agreed to the minivan, but end of the trip they upcharged me 10 bucks a day for the minivan. When I spoke to a manager they referred me to the customer service billing line, but when asked for the refund they wouldn't budge saying I agreed to the upcharge. I need a freaking minivan. Why the hell would I agree to an upcharge?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Booked a Toyota Corolla online for Las Vegas. Was told by Dana at the counter that car we booked was not available and she tried to upgrade us for a fee. We refused so she said she had a Kia Soul in our price range. We agreed to it but then she said we needed to pay for special Nevada car insurance. I told her my insurance covered me for Nevada. She insisted we had to pay this special insurance or she wouldn't rent us the car. I reluctantly agreed and paid. The lot was pitch black so we didn't see the condition the car until next day. It was filthy and the tires were worn. Found out she had lied about the insurance. This company is a rip off and will say anything to extort extra money when they know you are vulnerable. THIEVES and LIARS. Do not rent from this company. They also charged extra for the prepaid gas. Look at all the one star ratings, stay away, bait and switch.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I arrived to Phoenix in December, I needed a rental car on December 15th for two weeks with an original return date December 29. I went online and noticed an ad for $7 per day for an economy car. So, I booked the rental online at the airport. The total cost was $101 for two weeks, however, the taxes was a whopping $149 for a total of $250. When I arrived at the counter to pick up the vehicle, I was hit with an additional $150 deposit for being Arizona. Now my total is $410.00. I am already committed with my earlier booking.

The Hell on Earth Experience begins: During my stay, I realized that I will have to extend my rental car. A simple thing to do, right? NO! Fox Rental would not allow me to extend my rental online. Even though, they advertised on the call while you are waiting for customer service to do so. I was told that I had to go back to the Phoenix Airport to extend the rental. Fortunately for me, I was in the area, God forbid if I was in Southern California enjoying the holidays with my friend.

When I arrived at the airport, the customer service people were very unprofessional. I am a day early with the car, to avoid the $20 per day charged. My thought pattern was to have the original invoice total out leaving the deposit to be forwarded to the new invoice. Immediately, I was told that it would be $20 per day each to extend the rental from the one customer service rep. (** guy). There was another customer service (**, only one of the four customer service) standing behind the guy that I was talking with, took the receipt away him and proceeded to hand it back to me. Said to me, that they (Fox) needed the car because they have people waiting for cars. I tried to explain that my trip was extended, his reply was I should have plan my trip better!! In addition, he pointed to the competitor side and told me to rent from them, they have cars.

When I first pick up the car, along with other surprised customers, we asked about returning our $150 deposit. We were told that it will take about 2-3 business days. Initially, I started to walk away and turn around to ask about the $150 deposit. He was walking away as well turn around to greet me. As I ask him about the return time of my deposit, he proudly said that it will take 5 business days to get my security deposit. NEVER IN MY LIFE has I have so DISRESPECTED!!! If you were me, what would you do?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I rented a car in Tampa Florida. To return the car back to their off airport location, there is, apparently a toll to get there. The toll was 64 cents and Fox charges a $15 fee to 'administrate' this. What a rip-off. Customer service was mediocre. I'll never use them again for this rip off.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

I rented from fox car rental at Denver airport. I was helped by someone named Glenn. I chose them based on price. It was a mistake. Glenn told me the car type I chose was not available so he gave me a free upgrade to a slightly better model. Then Christmas Day (today) when I return the vehicle I get receipt. I've been charged an extra $30 for EACH DAY I had the car for an 'upsell'. These people are crooks, avoid avoid avoid. It will not save you any money, you'll get poor customer service and a worse vehicle.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

We had a little bit of trouble getting our car, there seemed to be some confusion over minivan ability and our reservation. However, all was forgotten upon realizing the overwhelming lack of attention to detail by the person(s) responsible for cleaning the car. The previous user seemed to have forgotten his/her bra along with an open, ripe smelling container of olives. Needless to say, rent from Fox to avoid dull moments in your life.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Called Fox car rental reservations to ask why I couldn't cross the state line from Florida to go to Savannah GA? He told me rudely... "You cannot cross the state border for no reason at all..." Then called me 'stupid' for not reading the policy. Then threatened me that if I did, they would find the car, confiscate it and leave me to my demise. Plus, I would have to pay towing charges back to Orlando, additional fees and loss of time rental...amounting to approx $2000.00. All this for just crossing into GA. Really? Is this the way Fox Rent A Car treats its customers? No wonder their reviews average a one star, because a "O" is not permitted. Rude, disrespectful and obnoxious. Please disregard my grammar and spelling, English is my third language.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Pay a couple extra dollars for a regular rental company that lets you cancel whenever you want. They have hidden fees for tolls? $60 extra on top of the toll you already have to pay, no other way to pay. Also they have a certain amount per day charge, I think it's $20, of bringing it back early? No rental car company in California has a problem booking cars that are brought back... They tried to tell me I only had an hour or so to pick up the rental within the scheduled time and if no cars were there my reservation could be cancelled.

Also, BEFORE up pick up your rental, double check the prices for that day. You could save hundreds of dollars. But if you complete your reservation you're locked in and they will not refund prices comparable to their own company rates. Do NOT use Car Rental 8 as an overhead company to secure the reservation in advance. Use a classic company that works with you. And maybe the mistake was being proactive and securing my rental over a month in advance. The car was poorly cleaned, pumpkin seeds that I'm not sure if they were in the previous renters month, gross. The guy at the gate said it was typical for the cars not to be cleaned properly. I at least had to clean the inside windshield so I could see when the sun was going down.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I've never been so dissatisfied with the car rental company as I was with Fox. They bait and switched us at the counter. They are charged us telling us that their SUVs did not have four-wheel-drive and that we had to go to the next level of car which cost another hundred dollars to get 4 wheel. Car was dirty, dented, and smelled awful. People were not friendly at all. Had to load our own bags on bus. No thank yous or offers for assistance.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

We rented a vehicle Nov 17-19, 2017 at the Ft Lauderdale airport. We have many complaints and feel completely ripped off by Fox Rent a Car. For those of you thinking about getting sucked in by the price, please don’t! Had we read the reviews online ahead of time, we would have never rented from them. This place is dirty and the front counter servicemen are not friendly. They tried to sell us a SunPass for $40 which is a device that would cover Florida tolls, but we knew we’re not going to be using the rental car much in the two days we would be down there, plus the $40 fee was a complete rip off in the first place. We told the guy we would just pay for the tolls (which are $1.00-$3.00) as we go along. However, being from Pennsylvania, we didn’t know “unmanned” tolls exist and without even knowing we were on a toll road, we got charged the toll fee and a $15 administrative fee for each unmanned toll we drove through on our credit card.

Had Fox Rent a Car told us that there are unmanned tolls and there would be an automatic $15 admin fee for each unmanned toll road we drove on, we would have just paid the $40 for the SunPass. We never leave reviews online, but if we can save someone the headache and money, rent from a more reputable car rental agency! This company should be shut down bottom line. Incredibly disappointed that companies like this exist.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I reserved a car with them and when I arrived, that car was not available. So they offered to upgrade me for free. The agent couldn't determine which cars they had, and the people in the garage didn't know which cars they had. This "process" took over an hour. I ended up with a 7 passenger SUV for myself and one other person. I didn't want that giant thing, but I wanted to get on with my life. It was a piece of junk, sounded like there were animals inside the doors, or marbles, gravel, lots of scratching and grinding sounds. After I dropped it off and returned home I saw my credit card statement. It was supposed to be $360 but they charged me $971.

A called to talk to an arrogant uneducated agent who blamed me for the upgrade. I told her that I didn't need or want that vehicle and that the desk agent assured me there would be no extra charge. After a 40 minute back and forth, she said they would refund $133 dollars, that I still haven't seen on my account documents. They are criminals, rent from anyone but them!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I had a reservation with Fox in Phoenix Arizona. Got to the rental place and waited in line for almost 2 hours. Finally got up to the desk and showed my reservation and they said they only had a few cars and the cost of the car was double the price of the reservation. I highly recommend not to use this Car rental.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Think twice should you consider renting a car with the Fox Rent A Car company, specifically when you want to rent the car overseas. Those Fox Rent A Car companies are just affiliates of the headquarter company with the same name in L.A. and you will not get any support if needed. I rented a car from Fox at the OTP airport in Bucharest. What a disaster! They pick up customers from the airport and shuttle them several miles away to a shabby trailer office with no chance of return.

Their staff is very argumentative, forcing customers to purchase their liability insurance, requesting their signature to be signed onto a digital pad while refusing to let them read the rental agreement first. The Fox cars are filthy in and out, banged up with scratches all around and not checked for lack of oil and water. Cars go out in the same condition as they arrive. When a car comes in, Fox checks and argues every scratch as if it was caused by the customer who returns the car.

Because of their lack of maintenance, my car broke down on the highway with an engine problem in the middle of nowhere. Fox expected me to wait at the car for a possible replacement to arrive 4 hours later. Irresponsible! When a passing by highway patrol ordered the car to be towed away, Fox was not able to get the replacement car to me sooner. I had to rent another car from another company to continue my trip.

Fox refused to reimburse me for the unused rental days and forced-on insurance. They also did not return the towing fee, which I had to pay from my own pocket. Fox countered with a ridiculous statement that I refused to continue renting the replacement car from them. Stay away from the Fox Rent A Car company or you may regret it!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Front Desks are unprofessional and harassing customers. Very rude service and charges you hidden fee. The front desk they don't care about customers & smoking while they are with customers.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

This has been my worst experience ever renting a car. Let's start with the fact that this company is off site and when you get there over an hour wait. High pressure sales. Extra charges. Went through Expedia. Got charged for a lot more than I bargained for. Would highly recommend that you choose another rental company to deal with.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

On Oct 27 2017 at 8:04 pm I rented a vehicle from the PHX airport. Fox Rent A Car is on the lower level and I rented the vehicle for 4 days and returned on Oct 30, 2017 at 10:00 AM. Upon arriving I proceeded to unload the car and told myself to put on a my leather coat which was on the back seat passenger side. It was a very thin coat I purchased in Europe, Valued at $500. While I was getting my 3 bags out of the car the attendant, ** approached and proceeded to check the car. I had a flight to catch to ORD, Chicago and needed to get going. I left the vehicle after talking to ** and proceeded to United Airlines. When I got on the plane I realized I left the coat in the back seat.

Upon arrival at ORD, I called to Fox Rent A Car and spoke to **, a man employee and told him l left the coat in the car and he went to look in Lost and found and claimed it was not turned in. I requested a call back and was very upset I was about to lose my favorite coat. On Wednesday ** called From Fox and was really dismissive and said no employee would ever take something that wasn’t theirs. Fox would not be responsible for lost items. There is no way someone did not take my coat and not hand it in. I want my coat back...NOW. Someone at Fox Rent A Car has my coat. Please help me get my coat back from whomever stole my property. Fox Rent A Car 1805 E. Sky Harbor Circle Sq, Car Rental Center, Phoenix, AZ 85034. 855.571.8414. 855.571.8413.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I rented a car from Fox Vegas. Returned it on day I was supposed to 4 hours early. Got no paperwork. They claimed I returned day late. Charged my card 124.75. Would not return my money. Biggest crooks ever. If you rent from them you need to expect they will charge you more. Read the reviews.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I have been trying to get in touch with a billing manager but have not received a phone call back yet. I have explained my situation numerous times to date to various representatives. I made a reservation for a premium convertible months ago for our trip to AZ via Expedia.com at a rate of $570. When we arrived at the airport we were told there were no convertibles available based on the fact we were 3 hours late due to plane issues. We asked if there was a convertible available 3 hours prior... We were told there was not. We were given an SUV with the understanding we would be given a call the following day when a convertible WAS available. We were contacted the next day as promised to tell us our car was ready. We said we would be there 45 mins later only to find ourselves waiting another 30 mins for a car that was supposedly ready for us to pick up.

The car we were given was a Ford Mustang... Not a premium convertible and in pretty rough shape. We were not provided a refund at that time for the $50 difference in class price. When I reserved the car months prior, a Mustang was $520. When we tried to get money back for our inconvenience we were given $49... The class price difference, but were told this was 10% and the best they could do for us. All I'm asking for is 10% off of the class car we actually were provided with. In other words 10% off of the $520 for the class car we were provided.

When we dropped off the car, there were 2 other Fox customers there also unable to get the car they had reserved in advance. The Fox representative was trying to get them to upgrade their reservation... Seems like the old bait and switch to me. The customer service at Fox is one of the worse I've ever experienced in my life. Will NEVER rent from them again!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Let's just go thru what happened. I made a reservation thru carrentals.com to rent a car with Fox Rent A Car in Orlando Florida. I entered that I would be arriving after midnight. After going to the area to get a shuttle bus to Fox Rent A Car, I waited for approximately 30 minutes before a Fox Rent A Car shuttle bus just drove by without stopping. I called their 800 number and tried to get roadside assistance but was on hold for over 30 minutes when the call was disconnected on their end.

I asked other rent a car shuttle buses if it was normal for a bus to just do a drive-by. They told me no and asked which car company I was referring to; when I told them Fox Rent A Car, they told me the Fox Rent A Car guy was parked in the other terminal. When I raced over to go find this guy, he had clearly been alerted of my questions because he decided to ride over the terminal to tell everyone that Fox didn't have any cars available. It was now past 2 AM. Fox not only didn't have any cars available but avoided telling anybody who rented a car from them and as a result, we could not make any alternative arrangements. The lack of professionalism is stunning and how this company still exists is remarkable.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We rented a Dodge Minivan in Miami to carry 4 adults, 2 toddlers and luggage. Upon arrival, we were told they didn't have one available. They could upgrade is for a charge, or we could take a 15 passenger van. After much arguing, we settled on the van because we refused to pay extra. "Magically", a minivan appeared. In fact, I overheard the clerk say there were two showing in the system when speaking to the person who was bringing the cars around. The minivan was in good condition and served us well for the week.

Fast forward to Sunday at 4 am (our flight leaves at 6 am), per the rental agreement, we are returning the minivan to the Fort Lauderdale location. The clerk tells us that we have to pay for not returning the minivan with a full tank of gas. On our contract, we point out that we prepaid the gas, and we want our deposit returned. He counters that we won't get the deposit and owe extra because the computer says we didn't prepay gas. Despite repeatedly pointing out that it was printed on their contract that it was paid, we were told that the contract came from the Miami office, not them, so they would only go by the "computer".

Since there was no manager, the security guard comes in, reads the screen, and reiterates that we owe. At this point, my wife calls the police and requests an officer be dispatched to settle the dispute. Less than 2 minutes later, the clerk comes back in and says he got approval to return our deposit. Considering he had just been outside with the security guard, I have no idea who approved it. We took our money, called off the police officer, and took the shuttle to the airport. I would never recommend this place to anyone, no matter how cheap they claim to be online.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

First of all, the pick up bus from the Airport took more than 25 minutes in the evening. We arrived at the Orlando Rental facility at 5:25 pm. We did not see an agent until 6:30. Line was not that long, only three customer service agents on duty, then one left to take a break. We received a Jeep Compass, that had many dents all around car. Inside of the car was dirty (we took many pictures), scuff marks. The tires have little or no tread left, and when I tried to use the window washer to clean the window, there was no washer fluid. "Rent a Rec" has better cars for the money. Anyone who is renting from Fox should do so at their own peril.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

They first were not able to find our reservation, which the company verified. So they charged us 60% more for a new rental of course. This was refunded on return & some chatting. Went through Golden Gate bridge toll, you can't pay at the bridge now, So they charged us a $40 fee & $6 for toll, which I'm sure is written in tiny print on the contract somewhere. This is an administrative fee but there is no administration, it's completely automated. Be careful, prepay the bridge company FIRST online. The car was clean & great to drive. Worked nicely but I did find someone's drug tool in the back.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

We booked this company thru ORBITZ. We chose a Ford Explorer and paid via credit card at the time of booking - clearly the itinerary states that there would be no further fees due at the counter. Wrong. When my husband got to the counter to retrieve the keys he was told he charged extra for a Durango because they didn't have a Ford Explorer. He was told he HAD to pay the $11 per day roll fee, he HAD to purchase insurance and he HAD to put a $150 deposit down - all in all the vehicle cost us over $1200. That's more than his flight to and from Denver - they took advantage of someone who went in a position to argue their demands.

Not only did they charge us an exorbitant amount of money - they rented him a car that wouldn't start 24 hours later, the keyless remote's battery died 12 hours after the rental and their manager Jonathan in CA was more defensive and rude on the phone and less than accommodating. I've never encountered a more combative person on the phone and a more unprofessional company in my life.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

These guys are THIEVES, stay away from this company at ALL expense. I rented a car form these people on August 3rd, after booking it through Expedia and paying Expedia a $50 car insurance. When I arrived to pick up the car at the airport, I informed Nick the representative that I have insurance and I do NOT want any insurance policy. He said "YES NO PROBLEM", made me electronically sign 20+ pages in a small screen. Then, two days later I see that they billed me an extra $96.62 for insurance I specifically refused to buy. STAY AWAY!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

BY FAR THE WORST CAR RENTAL EXPERIENCE EVER! Extremely unprofessional, untrained individuals at the front desk first of all. I rented from them a week from the Ft Lauderdale location and I had issues from the beginning to the end. The kicker was when we returned the vehicle! After waiting a good 20 min for the guy to rush around and get everyone else checked in around us, as we were told to wait outside in the sun with our luggage on the cement, he turned our vehicle off while inspecting the normal, interior, exterior, gas, etc. Well after waiting for him to next inspect our car, he gave us the copy of our contract and he signed off and said everything was in order and told us we were done.

We walked away to wait only 15ft away at the shuttle stop. After 15min more, the shuttle came, picked us up and we were on our way to the airport. Months later I get a call from an EXTREMELY RUDE and EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL INDIVIDUAL named COREY ** from ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE calls me and demands I pay them $260 for a lost key!!! WTF! How did the guy drive off after he had shut the car off then? Also, I asked the manager to review the cameras and of course, no call back, no email, no nothing! I am reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and demanding proof of debt validity because I think they're a bunch of crooks. I will not pay for something they signed off on and I know we returned!!! DON'T take the headache... GO with reputable rental companies.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Just got a bill in the mail from FOX RENT A CAR for an almost $10 TOLL charge, and a $45 administration fee. I was in Denver from out of town from Ohio attending a funeral, and wasn't aware there were no toll booths to pay with cash, and that everything was electronic. I didn't even have an opportunity to pay in person and take care of it myself. Everything is electronically generated and mailed. Maybe a $10 administration fee would be considered fair, but when I'm not told about these electronic TOLLS and I don't have an opportunity to pay in person at a TOLL booth (like everywhere else we've traveled), to charge an excessive fee of $45 on a bill for $10 is unbelievably unfair. Also, we rented a luxury car and received a dinged up car with a broken mirror and crack on the touchscreen. BEWARE... WHAT A SCAM!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I reserved a luxury rental online in advance of my trip so that I may have a vehicle to drive while house hunting. Our plane was delayed by 1 hour and we got to the rental place at 1 a.m. The lady behind counter was awful, she asked for my rental info and I gave it to her. She said, "All we have is economy cars," and said that we will have to pay the same rate for it and would have to come back in the morning to see if anything else is available.

She did NOT mention anything about the toll roads package thingy, didn't even know about it until I got the bill in the mail just recently with all of these extra charges on it. "Administration charges" I think it said. 15 dollars per toll charge was added without my knowledge. I got charged $90 extra dollars for administration charges for something the lady behind counter told us nothing about. She was SO mean, to put it lightly... This car company is a SCAM. They take your money and then don't actually save the car for you. I realize this after reading so many other people's reviews and the same issue.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Plain and simple, Fox Rental stunk! Entered office to counter, 5 associates and everyone arguing, "That's not the price I got online." 2 other angry people each demanding to talk to the manager. Seems that everyone's online price ended up doubled their quote. Rather walk!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

On our way from Las Vegas to San Francisco with our family of 6 for a wedding. The check engine light turns on and we discover after a trip to AutoZone that the Camshaft sensor light on the Dodge Durango is bad. We were on hold for over 40 minutes with roadside assistance then a full message recording comes on and promptly hangs up on us. After calling back and on hold for another 20 minutes we find out we are to take it in and exchange it. We want to make sure they have a full size Suv for our family of 6, but they only tell us that they see 3 on each not unless we drive another hour out of our way where they have 15.

We try to call the closer locations and there is not a way to speak to an actual person. We call customer service and they say just head to the closest one and we should be fine. We shall see since they can't seem to have a way to put it on hold for a customer who has a broken rental. Not impressed with their customer service skills at all. They need some training.

Fox Rent A Car Company Information

www.foxrentacar.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use