Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.26/5

980 Fox Rent A Car Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I booked a car online for my visit in Arizona. During my booking I didn't realized, that I selected the wrong month. When I arrived and the guy at the counter told me I booked the wrong month, I feared I had to pay a higher price. But he managed to get me the same deal even the date was completely wrong (4 months in the past). The deal was very good, because in the glove compartment of the car was a receipt of a previous renter with a higher price. The return was without any problem and I received my deposit 2-3 days later.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Okay, I booked a car from Fox before I read every review on the internet. The price was very good and location was also close to the airport LAX. After I booked, then I read all the reviews. Then I canceled my booking due to very bad review on Fox. I was afraid to take a chance because I would be traveling with my 2 kids and wife from Indonesia. I didn't want my family to get disappointed: long flight from home for 3 weeks vacation in LA.

So googled again regarding reasonable price for my purpose: full size SUV with unlimited mileage. I couldn't find better deal than FOX. So what the heck, I took my chances by hoping the review on the internet was all wrong. I proved it right: Internet reviews were all wrong about FOX. Service at the counter was fast even though the line was long (due to Christmas and New Year Holiday), I got perfect condition full size SUV as I expected, things were fast. I enjoyed my 2018 holiday and the car. Maybe I was lucky or maybe not. But to find better deal during holiday, FOX is the best. Thank you FOX at LAX.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Arriving at the airport we saw a long line at Fox Rent a Car and could feel the anxiety among the patrons. Unfortunately it was slow moving. After some time it was our turn and we could not have been happier with the service we received. It was a stressful day for everyone but Marlon handled it like a true professional. He was pleasant, accommodating and made us smile. I will use Fox again because of the pricing and the staff. Great job Marlon!!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I booked this rental through Expedia (highly recommended). The shuttle from the airport was easy and quick, driver was friendly and very courteous. Dropped me at the front door and helped with my bags. My rental agent was Shawn. I found him to be knowledgeable and helpful. I had reserved a Jeep Wrangler and I got a 2018 Wrangler, 4 door. Very nice! Only had 6,000 miles on it. The rental agreement is pretty straightforward, although the website listed the rental at $24 dollars a day and after taxes, fees and surcharges it was more like $38-$40.

The only issue I had with the rental process was my bank card can be used as a credit or debit card. Shawn said his machine would not accept it as a credit card so he would have to charge me a $400 deposit for using a debit card. I've never heard of anything like that, but he assured me the deposit would be returned when I returned the vehicle. And in fact, it was. Leah met me in the parking lot when I returned and issued me a receipt for the deposit on the spot. Late the next day the deposit showed at my bank. Overall, I had a pleasant experience with Fox Rent A Car and I would recommend them.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I was looking for something economical and I got it. It was a Mitsubishi hatchback. The most positive aspect was its fuel economy. I must have driven 50 miles around San Francisco and the car only needed about 4 dollars of gas to fill it up. The car had something inherent in the engine that must have been cutting back on fuel consumption when not accelerating. However, the car didn’t seem to gauge itself very well when going up a hill. It seemed very sluggish going up steep San Francisco hills. Overall, it was a very satisfying experience with Fox Rent a Car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fox Rent A Car?

Original review: July 18, 2019

I book the car thru Expedia for a total of 3 days at Las Vegas airport and took the insurance for $10 a day. But they kept charging me $40. I thought when I get to the counter I will get back to $30. Turns out Fox does not accept Expedia insurance. So I had to pay extra. When I got back home, I filed a claim on my credit card against Expedia. They fought it. But I did get my money back.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Don’t use! Hard to believe these guys are in business. Arrived SFO at 10:00PM, then stood in line for two hours to get my “reserved” car. After trying to upsell me on absolutely everything (including 4 days of a toll plate gizmo, at 5 times the price of the Golden Gate toll, the full fuel angle, insurance for this, that and the other), I finally got my car. I kid you not, I thought it had been in a accident!? More dents, scratches, dings, than you could document. I called over an employee, after taking time stamped pictures, and asked for his assurance no one would suggest I had caused this damage on return. When asked how they got away with renting a car in such condition, he replied “If you want a good car, you shouldn’t rent with Fox!” Couldn’t say it better myself...

Original review: July 16, 2019

If you looking for a good price on a car rental and are willing to wait in line for 2+ hours Fox Rent A Car is perfect for you!! Don't forget time is money and you will learn to appreciate it at Fox Rent A Car!

Original review: July 16, 2019

Avoid this company at all costs! We rented a car for 12:00 noon and did not leave the facility until 2:30pm. Customer service was terrible. The agent who checked us in was slow and didn't seem to care that people were waiting in line. Even after the paperwork, the car was not ready. He said it had to go through the car wash. Five minutes, 10 minutes, 1/2 an hour passed. Still no car. We asked for the manager. We looked in the car wash. There were a dozen cars in line to go through. Ours was not one of them. I have never seen a more disorganized rental car company and definitely have never waited so long to get the car. If you have to be somewhere fast, you'll be late if you rent a car from Fox. What a joke! If time is money, pay more at a different company because you will spend hours waiting for your rental car.

Original review: July 13, 2019

We had a terrible experience with this company. First, there was a long line to get to the counter and then it took a long time to get our reservation sorted out. It was over an hour before we were given keys to our car. Second, we were promised a Jeep Grand Cherokee and were given a Dodge Journey, an inferior car. Third, there were problems with the car and nobody able to answer questions. We had to figure things out for ourselves.

Four, we were sold a full tank of gas and after we left the airport, we realized we only had a 1/3 of a tank. We were later refunded this charge, but not without a fight. Five, the worst thing was that we were given a car with a bald tire. This tire blew out during our rental. When we called for help, we were put on hold for hours and hours. We never got through until the next day. We had to drive with the "noodle" tire for over 100 miles before we could get the tire replaced. I took a picture of the bald tire. The mechanic at the tire store said that all four tires were beyond their replacement use. I showed my picture of the bald tire when returning the car and the agent told me it looked good to him and wanted to charge us for the new tire. It took quite a fight to get him to back down.

Six, this is the last straw. After returning home we got a letter saying that we were on a toll road and that they were charging us $4.30 for the toll, plus a $15.00 administration fee. I sent the company documentation that we were not in the area of this toll road. Still, they insist on charging us for this toll and fee. So in conclusion, don't rent from this disaster of a company.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I recently rented a car from this company in Salt Lake City and had a horrible experience. I was given a car with absolutely no features. No power windows, no power mirrors, no power doors, etc. Every time I parked the car I had to manually lock each door with an old-fashion key. It was not until night time when I realized that the headlights were completely out of adjustment. I tried to call the service department by phone and that was another disaster. It took three days for someone to return my calls. When I returned the car and complained about all of these issues I was told that: "We are not Hertz or Avis, we are a low budget rent a car company.” So, be aware, you will get what you will pay for.

Original review: July 2, 2019

This is by far the worst rental car company at the world's worst airport LAX. They were consistently bad from time of pick up to return. It took 1.5 hours in the line to get the car at midnight. They then gave us a clunker of a car. They try to rip you off. Beware. It took 1 hour for a return bus. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: June 27, 2019

Please go somewhere else! This company is the absolute worse. The shuttle drivers are so lame and inconsiderate of their passenger's time. The shuttle driver left me and other passengers on the shuttle for over 30 minutes and caused me to almost miss my flight. I told him that we needed to get going and I think that motivated him to move even slower purposely. The worse service ever. Very inconvenient!

Yvette

Original review: June 26, 2019

Via Expedia, I rented a Dodge Charger with Fox Rent A Car. I did not know that Fox Rent a Car had no desk at Miami Airport. We had to wait outside in the heat and humidity over 35 minutes before the shuttle arrived, even if their facility is only 5 minutes driving distance from the airport. While waiting I tied to call Fox Rent A Car. i was on hold for over 20 minutes, listening to BS like "we are customer oriented" or " we have more than 10 callers before you", etc. During these 35 minutes we saw other shuttles twice! Once at Fox Rent A Car facility, we had to wait a long time, because the two managers on duty were awfully slow. When my turn arrived I understood why. They forced me to pay for their Sunpass (for the toll roads payment), even if I told them that I had my own Sunpass. Unlike other rental companies they cannot deactivate their Sunpass.

They inform me that they will charge me an additional $1,000 deposit because I rented a premium vehicle, but when I will return the vehicle the reimbursement will be immediate. When I returned the vehicle I have been informed that it will take 5 business days to be reimbursed these $1,000. They forced me to take their minimum insurance, despite the fact that I told them that my auto insurance company was covering any rental car in the USA. They asked me to show them a proof of insurance, which I did not carry with me. Fortunately, I was able to find something in my laptop. The vehicle had over $56K, with several scratches (some were not indicated on the contract), and evidently, even if it is forbidden to smoke, a former client smoked in the vehicle, which was not smelling good and had not been properly sanitized. Lessons learned, I will NEVER rent again with this company.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I arrived in SFO last week for a family trip from Atlanta. I reserved the vehicle the Sunday prior, and now that I think about it, I probably should’ve changed my mind then. The representative was rude and unprofessional. He made up for it by offering me a much lower rate than Avis. Upon arriving in SFO shortly before midnight (yes late flight) but I reserved a full size SUV to accommodate my children and I for our vacation. I was told by the woman at the counter that they had no full sized vehicles left, and that I should go take my children and our luggage back upstairs to find another car rental company that may or not help. I was livid. I said I reserved with FOX not anyone else, and at this point my children are tired and hungry. She laughed and said it was happening all day and there was nothing they could do.

I had to make a decision and toting my infant child and three other children at that hour to another rent a car company was not happening. So, I settled a smaller SUV which we had to pile in and it had no trunk space, after we let out the folding seats in the far back. It was just a horrible experience and I would never rent from FOX Rent A Car again, let alone recommend them to my family or friends. The customer service is horrible, and they only offered me 20% for my troubles. 20% off didn’t make up for my time, my having to pile luggage on my children, listening to the lady at the counter use profanity in front of my teenaged daughter or the inconvenience of having to take two cars instead of one any where I visited. I will NEVER do business with them again!

Original review: June 21, 2019

When I picked up the car at the Tampa airport on Thursday June 6, I was told "as long as you return it with half a tank of gas there's no problem." I returned it with about 5/8 tank of gas, and was charged $7.99 per gallon to fill it up. I stated that my return would be 10:30am Sunday June 9. When I returned the car at about that time, I was charged a late fee because my contract read Saturday June 8. So that got misunderstood somehow. I went online to rent the car at a VERY attractive $28/day and ended up being charged almost $200 for 2 1/2 days. Also, while waiting in line at the airport, the agent spent more than 40 minutes sharing recipes with the customers ahead of me.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I am currently renting a Fox Rent A car. I am so unhappy it is hard to describe. Fox has taken what was a great vacation and turned it into a nightmare! It started with the fact that there is NO Fox counter at Newark Liberty. I had to ask 5 different workers where to find Fox. I then was told I had to call to get a shuttle. The shuttle took one hour and 15 minutes to pick us up. At the counter they said we were late so our reservation was no longer valid! But they then decided we could get our car! Then the man at the rental counter then told us that because Drive-O/Fox doesn't open till 8 AM we have to drop off the car and call for a shuttle, and if we miss it we don't get a second chance! This is your attempt at customer service?? Then we are being charged $15 to use the E-ZPass, for just 2 one dollar tolls! So we are paying $17 for $2 in tolls!!!

I called Fox customer service and after waiting 35 minutes for a call back I told all of this and much more to the representative and all she would tell me is "There is nothing I can do" 3 times. I asked her to speak to her superior and she refused. I said while on hold I had to listen to the Fox recording say that Fox' #1 concern is customer service and total customer satisfaction. I asked her if I sounded satisfied, she did not answer! In summary my wife and I absolutely loathe Fox! We will never rent from Fox again. We will post our displeasure on every rating site we can as well as Facebook and will tell ALL of our friends to stay as far away from Fox as they can. So Angry, Pete

Original review: June 19, 2019

On June 1, 2019, around 10 or 11 pm, my family (including my 5yo son) were driving on 1-5 in Seattle Washington. When traffic slowed for construction we were rear-ended violently by a young woman driving a Fox Rent-a-car. The car that hit us was driving so fast when she struck us that our cars became locked together and the police had to stop traffic on the highway to help us move to the shoulder and call and call a tow truck to separate us. The rental car looked close to totaled and was not driveable. We were able to drive home, however, extensive damage was done to our vehicle and my son was mildly hurt in the crash.

Each day (now totaling 18) we have called Fox Rent-a-car to attempt to resolve the issue. Our insurance company has also repeatedly attempted to contact the company to no avail. The Fox claims department answering service states that someone will call back within 2 business days to resolve any claims. This has never happened. No one from any department, and we have called several, has attempted to work with us to resolve the problem, fix the damage to our car or deal with our claim in any way. We have sent emails, left messages and even resorted to speaking with their Roadside assistance team. Nothing. After nearly 3 weeks, we are convinced that the company is deliberately not responding to our attempts to resolve this matter.

The only people we have been able to speak with have been in Roadside Assistance and they simply send us back to the Claims department. During one call on June 19, 2019, at 11:30am, I asked for the name of any individual with whom I could speak in the Claims department, in addition to their general call-in line, the representative refused to give me his name, the name of any manager or any person in claims to speak with. He informed me at the top of the call that my call was being recorded.

When it became clear that he was not going to help in any way, I wanted a record of his refusal to provide additional contacts and his essentially lying in saying that he "has no supervisor and neither do his colleagues". I asked for access to the recording at which point he told me I didn't need it and hung up on me. This business is refusing responsibility for this accident and for the damage they have done to our person and our vehicle. They should be held accountable for these actions.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Shuttle back to the terminal: 45+ minute wait with growing crowd of people. People at the counter keep repeating "shuttle every 15-20 minutes" which is an obvious lie. All the time the bus is standing with blinking lights. Almost missed the flight. Shuttle from the terminal: 30 + minute wait, then shuttle stops briefly and wants to leave without most of the people who were waiting. Had to scream to stop it. HUGE line at the checkout. The guy gave us wrong information about how to pay tolls, not sure what surcharges they'll invent around that. Total cost about 1.5x of what was quoted. "Choice" of two cars on the lot - both dirty and rusty, with 45000 miles. The one we too had broken power mirrors, and made weird noises while driving. AVOID LIKE A PLAGUE!!!!

Original review: June 10, 2019

The shuttle did not pick us up and still charge for the car I never use. I called them and they said their shuttle came by which apparently didn't. Same stories from the reviews here and I totally confirm.

Original review: June 7, 2019

We got in to the rental car center at Sky Harbor in Phoenix Arizona to find a ridiculously long line with just one counter rep, when all the other rental companies had multiple agents and either no or very short lines. After standing in line for about 20 minutes and watching the line behind me get longer and longer, I was looking at about another 2 hours at the rate they were going, so I went right next door to Alamo and instantly got exactly what I was looking for at a rate not much more than Fox, WITHOUT THE 2 HOUR WAIT!!!

Original review: June 7, 2019

We rented a Car in LA. We had estimates online that were very affordable so we booked a car for our holiday. When we arrived we were told we have to buy 35 dollar a day insurance no choice. And taxes are 38% in LA. We were very surprised to learn this but figured we had no other choice. Do thorough research on companies before you rent from them. Other companies do not charge those fees and I will not be renting from this company ever again.

Original review: June 7, 2019

We rented a car through website carrentals.com And linked to Fox car rentals. Both pointed us to each other when we tried to cancel because of emergency flooding at our home. It was bad enough that we had to cancel a California trip... they both refused to provide a refund. To make it even worse they requested numerous emails asking for proof of why we cancelled. After company emails confirming cancellation, pictures of flooded home etc.... they still refused. I honestly now hate these two companies and would encourage everyone to simple go elsewhere. Expedia by the way— went out of their way to assist us. Great company.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I got this rental company from Priceline. When I picked up the car, they will ask you to purchase additional toll fees and fuel which they said was cheaper. I paid extra $238 on my AMEX and they said there will be $150 back when I returned the car. The car that they gave us was old with 45000 miles and scratches on the right rear. When we returned the car, their employee looked at it and said to us everything was ok. When I came back home and I found my credit card has an extra charge of $97 and did not get my $150 back. I tried to call them for three days but nobody answer and the answering machines always say, "There are 10 callers ahead of you". NEVER USE FOX CAR RENTAL AGAIN!

Original review: June 4, 2019

Today I received an invoice from Fox Rental stating that I owe $96.15. On a recent trip to Tampa, natural occurring toll fees amounting to $6.15 was charged. Fox added an additional $90 dollars in administrative fees. These are TOLL FEES. NOT FINES. This is a total ripoff of the worst kind. I won't be renting from Fox again. I sent them a check for $6.15.

Original review: June 2, 2019

This company is a rip-off. Charged a $20 early drop off fee (called a LOREC) because I dropped off car at 5:58 pm. Contract said late fee starts at 6:00 pm. So they will charge you an unauthorized fee no matter when you return the car.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I rented a mini van for May 29 to May 30 from Phoenix to Las Vegas. I was quoted $48.05. I agreed to additional charges of insurance for $25 and prepaid gasoline. Still, I was charged over $170.00. Be very aware of using Fox. You cannot trust the prices they tell you and their estimates are not clear. I still have no idea where the extra charges came from. No explanation yet from corporate. Very disappointed with the lack of transparency. I feel I was taken advantage of by being in a hurry and didn't have time to read all the fine print. I travel frequently and have never had any issues with other rental car companies.

Original review: May 31, 2019

Employees are rude, do not know what they’re doing. Don’t use them. They give cars that are damaged. Two hours waiting and you doing might not get a car.

I don’t recommend Fox Rent A Car for anyone. Lousy service.

Original review: May 28, 2019

These guys are scammers, beware. On 5/20/2019 at 1 AM at San Antonio airport they wanted $280 for security deposit; which I agreed to pay. I took this rental from Priceline, and on Priceline I also opted for insurance and paid $11 a day for 2 days. At the time of rental, the lady at the desk said you opted for insurance, so I said, "Yes I already paid" (thinking she was talking about Priceline insurance). She did not mention she will be charging me their insurance as well for $26 a day.

I asked if I am late will there be any late fees, she said since my drop off is late in the night no one will be there, there will be just a box to drop off the keys, and I will not get charged any additional fees. Now they want to keep all my deposit, stating various fees and late fees. Their customer service is a joke, they will not refund my full money. This place is a joke, never again will I rent with these guys nor will I let my friends/family rent from them as well.

Original review: May 27, 2019

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! Worst rental car company I have ever used. Several dings on the vehicle, front window has 3 or 4 dings in it that had not been fixed. Tire pressure started coming on the morning after we picked it up, have refilled it once a day about 10 pounds daily. Finally found the source of the leak and called customer service. Waited on hold forever even after the call back to be told to call customer service for options. Called roadside only to be told they want me to drive 100+ miles to get it looked at to determine liability and get it fixed or take it to a local place and pay myself to fix their vehicle and they "may reimburse me". They cannot guarantee that. They obviously do not take care of their vehicles or care about the safety of their passengers. WORST customer service EVER! Listen to the reviews and don't get sucked into the low rate. You will pay in the long run.

Fox Rent A Car Company Information