2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.43/5

Silvercar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Silvercar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Silvercar?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Great company! Especially if you want to drive an Audi! I will only use this company from now on! Professional, courteous, great rates. If you love Audi or have been wondering what it’s like to drive one, rent here!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

Do not rent a car from Silvercar. We reserved an Audi A4 on Travelocity weeks before our trip. When we arrived in Newark and called the Silvercar number according to their instructions, we were told that they had unilaterally cancelled our reservation. They had not informed us of this in advance. When I asked for an explanation the only one they would offer was that I had made the reservation through a third-party vendor, meaning Travelocity. As I understood it, their company policy was that they could cancel third-party reservations whenever they wanted, without notice to the customer. I suspect most people use third-party services like Travelocity, Kayak, Expedia, etc., this policy would entitle them to cancel most reservations. Buyer beware!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Resolution response: Sept. 15, 2019

I was able to get a call back from the General Manager of Silvercar Denver and he went above and beyond to try to work out the situation with me. We agreed that the situation didn't go well and he negotiated a lower rate with me that was satisfactory. I now feel comfortable using Silvercar again and he was a very helpful individual.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Rented an AUDI Q5 for a 5 day trip in Denver. Experienced car trouble on day 4. Terribly disappointed in company's lack of response to my attempts to contact them for the last 8 days since I returned the car. PROs: Beautiful cars. Price came in lower than the other rental agencies' prices when I needed a car at the last minute for a trip.

CONs: On day 4 of my trip, the driver's seat belt of the Audi would not work. It was absolutely stuck and I refused to drive the car. After multiple phone calls and long waits sitting around, Audi finally sent a tow truck out to get me. I was an hour from the closest Audi dealer which is where the car would be taken and a new car would be waiting for me. HOWEVER, the tow truck driver notified me that he would have to be towing a second car with my car. He put my car on the rig and we drove to another town to pick up second car to be towed. We drove about 40 mph on the highway (me in my business clothes sitting in a tow truck) to the SECOND CAR's car repair shop which took several hours (yes, it took several hours to drive what is usually a one hour trip = the tow truck driver also wanted to stop for a coffee and smoke break before he dropped the cars off).

Finally we get to the car repair shop and drop off the second car the two truck driver had picked up. Then, we head to Audi. The tow truck driver missed the turn. Whoops. Delayed again. At this point the rep from Silvercar who is waiting for me at Audi is calling and texting me and sounding irritable because we are, understandably, very late. We finally arrive to AUDI - over FOUR HOURS after I first told Audi about the problem where my new Silver car is waiting.

All in all, very disappointed Silvercar leased me a car that had a broken seat belt. A car with less than 2,000 miles should not have issues like this. The tow truck driver was NICE but Silvercar could have handled the situation better. I ended up missing four hours of business meetings and a good chunk of income due to this mishap. I've called Silvercar Denver multiple times since the incident. No one calls me back. No one texts me back. It is impossible to reach anyone on site. I'm so disappointed. The staff I talked to were not sympathetic. I asked them to just cover my one-hour UBER so I could get to work that morning and they wouldn't. Instead they would rather have had me take a 4 hour tow truck ride which resulted in lost income. Poor customer service. Improve, folks.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

We arrived at Orange County airport a few weeks ago and contacted SilverCar as instructed. I advised the driver that we had 4 people and luggage. I called to check on his ETA due to it taking well over the 10 minutes as promised. The person on the phone stated he thought someone else was picking us up. He then says he will meet us in another 10-12 minutes. He said look for an Auto A4. I said, "Is that big enough for 5 guests and luggage?" He said probably not, so he turned around and went back to get an SUV.

We are finally picked up almost 50 minutes after the initial call and he struggled to get the luggage loaded. We get to the SilverCar location and we are standing in a parking lot for 15-20 minutes. We weren't offered to go inside and get a drink or use the bathroom. I wasn't event aware that there was an office until we returned the car.

Upon returning the car, the porter checked the gas, mileage, looked for damage and checked under the seats and in the trunk for anything we may have left behind. He said he smelled a "faint" odor of cigarettes. I advised him, that I did not smoke in the car and he said he would check in a few minutes and call me if there was going to be any cleaning fees assessed. I really wasn't concerned since I knew I hadn't smoked in the car.

About 1-2 hours later, he calls and tells me that he found ashes and a lighter and had taken pictures and that I would be charged $300 for cleaning. I was very upset and asked him to reconsider. He said no and reminded me that it was in the rental agreement. I don't dispute the provision in the contract for a cleaning fee, I dispute that I smoked in the car. I will never use Silvercar again and I will encourage others to avoid this sham of a rental car company. Using deceptive practices to get more money from customers is really shady. I spoke to the location manager who dismissed my complaints and backed up his employee. I expected that result. This is obviously a concerted effort on the part of SilverCar to get more money from its customers who have no recourse.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Went to pick up my Silvercar Audi rental only to find out they did not have my reservation. Showed them my print out confirmation and they still were clueless. My week long rental was going to cost $385.00, they would not honor this and told me the rate to rent for the week was over $900.00. We ended up taking the shuttle back to the airport and rented from a reputable company with no issues. Also, this was a Sunday and we soon found out no manager on duty and NO ONE would be available on phone either. NEVER USE SILVERCAR!

Original review: May 9, 2019

We rented a silver car in Miami for a few days and upon return the guy who received it took out his phone and found a tiny scratch using his cell phone light in the dark and rain. He said "let's just see what they say " and we left. When we rented it was fairly dark as well and we really did not inspect very well thinking it looked fine at a glance. Later we received a 3000 dollars ("discounted" to 1600) dollars for repairs, loss of rental income while the care was being repaired. We paid the bill ourselves rather than have our insurance increase and got were supposed to be reimbursed our deductible WHICH went to SILVER CAR and they cashed THAT check as well. We are YET to get that money back!!!! Rip Off.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I reserved through the app months ahead. When I went to pick up the car the morning we were going to the Grand Canyon, the store wasn't open. The hours on the door was indicating that it should of been open hours before but the door was locked. I called the 1-800 number and spent over an hour with them on the phone until we decide to go down the road at the car rental plaza and rented a car with another company.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

Very professional and personable. He was made for this job. I was picked up on and arrived at my destination on time. I would definitely use this service again. There were several options to choose from depending on size. And many different prices and colors. This service has more options than other companies! My perceived value was good when I shopped around and checked other websites. They slap offer discounts at times. Keep an eye out for discounts. They are around. The ease of checking out was quick and easy to figure out. I thought it was easy to understand.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

They provide outstanding Customer Service and are extremely helpful in matching up the very best Car. They really take the time to consider your overall needs and desires as far as cost and Car rental needs. They are a very fine Car rental Company who provides the best experience and service! I highly recommend them for the following reason. They have fantastic Customer Service and really put your needs as a Customer first and foremost! They also go the extra mile to ensure you get the best affordable rate and desired Car Rental available.

They have exceptional value for the consumer as well. They always go out of there way to ensure the very best quality as far as budget, affordability and Rental Car that you desire. They also provide excellent mileage cost and provide great Customer feedback. Just great value overall! Checkout process is extremely easy and hassle free. You can easily get your desired Car rental in less than 10 minutes! Very hassle free and fantastic quick service that will never disappoint! You get immediate and reliable check out service that is second to none!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

Very nice and helpful. Pleasure to work with, great and helpful employees go the extra mile to make sure everything is pleasant. Can't wait to do business again. Very diverse selection of cars. All were very clean and good looking with no mechanical engineering problems that I could see, appreciated the walk through going through all the features of the car. Great rates and fees, very competitive rates, much better than going to a different rental company and paying a higher rate for the same car. Very simple and easy checkout process with very helpful employees, going over all the fees and getting the rental all set up for me. Very understanding and helped with all my questions.

Silvercar author review by Lauren Fix

Silvercar aims to make the process of renting a car easier and more luxurious. You simply download an app and use it to book your rental. Then use your phone to unlock your rental car at your destination. You don’t have to wait in line or deal with rental car agents once you arrive.

• Gas: You don’t have to refuel your Silvercar before you return it. If you bring it back with less gas than it had when you picked it up, you’ll only be charged for the amount of gas you used, plus a flat $5 refueling fee.

• Audi: SIlvercar’s fleet includes Audi A4s and Audi Q5s. You can read more about these vehicles on Silvercar’s website.

• Unlimited miles: Each rental includes unlimited miles. Drive as much as you want without it impacting your price.

• Free upgrades: All cars come with free WiFi, GPS and satellite radio. Many other rental companies charge for these features.

• Locations: Silvercar is available in 18 locations, including New York, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, Newark and San Francisco. Visit the company’s website to see if Silvercar is available at your destination.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Silvercar Company Information