3.07/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Our goal is to provide the best experience possible when renting a car. In 1994, E-Z Rent-A-Car started with nine vehicles at the Orlando National Airport and has now grown to be one of the largest businesses in the rental car industry. We want every step to be easy and efficient while providing the best value for your next vacation or business trip. Call us today!

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 14, 2017

692 E-Z Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

The worst rental car company! First I booked my flight and rental car together no problem. I go to pickup the rental car at E-Z Rent-A-Car. The lady at the front desk get all my information then tells me I can only drive the car for 150 miles per day plus a 200 deposit. She went on to tell me that every rental company was doing that! I was like wow! I don't rent cars a lot so I thought she was telling the truth. Come to found out she lied about that and that was only their company policies. So I called customer service twice. The representatives gave me a very hard time. Wouldn't transfer me to a manager or supervisor so I could express my concerns. So today I returned the vehicle, full tank of gas and everything. Going through to return the car the gentleman asked if everything looked okay before closing out the contract. I looked at the tablet and I said no. They was charging me $530.00 so he if I had my contract.

I showed him my contract, he said, "Wow. Go to the front desk and show them your contract." I went to the front desk showed him my contract. The guy at the front desk said I owed 1,000.00. I asked why, he said, "Because you was supposed to return the car at 11:00 am." I said no my contract says 4:30 pm and the time was 3:00 pm! Then he said, "You went over your miles." I said,"How and how many." He said, "A lot!" I told him, "That's impossible because I barely drove the car." So the issue gets resolved. Barely wanted to apologize for their error!

So I called customer service again, this time I speak to a manager! She's just as rude! I explain to her what happened. She wasn't hearing it! Well what happened was the true mileage was not reported accurately so when I returned the car it looked like I drove over a 1000+ miles. I ended up hanging up because the issue was not getting solved. Just don't rent a car from them. Seemed like they was trying to found a reason to charge me more! If you have to rent with them I highly recommend taking a picture of the mileage when you get the car and when you return the car just so you know exactly how many miles you used! Because clearly someone is not doing their job!

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Thank you for your review. Reviews such as these provide valuable insight for the successful operation of our company. I will be reaching out to you to obtain more information regarding your issue. Thank you again for your feedback!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

It is my fervent belief that E-Z Rent-A-Car has been built to easily rip you off. Use a more reputable car rental service provider. My experience with their customer service was awful. I did not think I needed to present proof of insurance, as the first proof of insurance clause stated that I would only need it if I was under the age of 25. They told me I had not clearly read the local renter clause that negates the validity of the proof of insurance clause. The local renter clause says you need proof of insurance. That means the first clause is no longer valid. Company line: "Read the fine print."

I was originally told the hold would be $200. Arrive, am told it's $350. I dropped the reservation after this, as I quickly looked up their reviews online and discovered that they were notorious for not returning holds and charging for random fees. Company line when I asked about the discrepancy? You guessed it, "Read the fine print."

The local driver's fee is quite the heist. The customer service associate actually told me, "If you don't want to pay $20 per day fee, buy a roundtrip ticket". Hmmmm... So helpful. Company line? You guessed it again, "Read the fine print." Take a look at the past 60 days of their reviews, and you will see a standard answer they offer up:

"Thank you for contacting Advantage Rent A Car. After further investigation and reviewing your Rental Agreement we found that you signed accepting the "fill in what they say you agreed to". When you signed your Agreement you acknowledged that you had the opportunity to read through the Agreement before signing to verify all charges were correct. Because you signed agreeing to all charges, a refund is not applicable. Thank you and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future."

That is their status quo, because they create agreements that require you to put your lawyer eyes on to understand. They lean on a complicated and confusing renter's agreement that gets lost on websites and through 3rd party providers. It is apparently all in the fine print. But, what you won't find in the fine print is that EZ and Advantage are built to take as much money away from you as possible. Do yourself a favor. Pay the few dollars more and stick with a reputable company that knows how to treat you right. You get what you pay for, and in this instance, it's not worth the pain and suffering.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

On behalf of E-Z and Advantage Rent-A-Car we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you underwent while renting with us. Customer satisfaction is our main priority and we thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience with us. Because we take your feedback seriously we are currently addressing these issues with our Management Team to make all of the necessary improvements for the convenience and enjoyment of our valued customers, such as yourself. Once again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Reserved a compact car, got there at our time indicated for pickup. Person at counter claimed only a minivan was available despite our expressed desire for what we reserved. She continued to insist nothing was available but a minivan and it would be at the reserved rate. We still insisted on what we wanted. We got to the garage to pick up the car and the E-Z area had several compacts and she gave us a Suburban. We were beyond mad. People behind us getting cars got smaller cars than us. We were in an unfamiliar city, Seattle. Difficulty finding a space at hotel that fit the Suburban. I would never recommend this company or use them.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

In September 2017, E-Z Rent-A-Car had a promotion where the rental fee for an economic car model was $5 per day plus tax and insurance, so I rented a Honda Civic from them for 4 days, and the estimated total cost for 4 days was around $80 when I placed my order online. After 4 days when I returned the car, I got a bill of $450! And they were telling you this and that fees were mandatory by the Ontario government, and they shut me down and wouldn't talk to me. THEY ARE SUCH A RIPOFF!!! NEVER EVER rent a car from E-Z Rent-A-Car!!!

Good morning,

This location in Canada is an affiliate location called Trans-Canada. For further assistance we advice that you contact them directly. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I needed to rent a vehicle to drive from Denver, CO to South Fork, CO pick up 10/11/17 return 10/20/17. Online quote for the time frame 241.34 incl taxes and other vague fees. When I arrived at that rental area it was busy but waited a short time. I told the counter person Megan at that time that "I would return the car at 2pm not 12 noon. Will there be an up charge if I'm later than noon?" She said a "few dollars by the hours".

I also made Megan very AWARE that I was driving south to South Fork area. When she heard this she asked if I wanted to upgrade to a 4WD? Myself and my sons declined. She put us in an escape anyway. With her asking about a 4WD she should have known then that there were no toll roads in the area. She was persuasive with the EZ toll info though. Stated more roads are now tolls. I would possibly be fined if I went through them by accident, so I said OK as I haven't been there in a year I trusted her. I also bought the fuel option. My bill then went to 381.19.

When I returned the car the young man stated he would e-mail the final receipt. Returned the car with 3/4 tank. When I finally got the chance to see the emailed receipt we were on our way to catch our flight home to PA. The final bill was 418.73. He also has that there was 3/8 gas. Quite a difference from 3/4?? Should have been a non-issue as I bought the FPO. It was 177.39 More than the online quote, 37.54 dollars more than quoted fee at sign on. Maybe they saw an elderly single female in a line of people waiting and thought easy sell for extras that really weren't needed!!!

When I did get a chance to review the Colorado Toll Road Map, there are no toll roads anywhere near where I was driving. If I didn't specifically tell her where I was driving I could understand her concern for possible toll charges. But I was specific as to the area of travel. I booked EZ because it was the best online quote price. It was better than the competitors. Little did I know about the hidden and or unnecessary charges! Since our family member has moved to Colorado many other family members will be visiting your amazing state. They most likely will be needing to rent vehicles. I can't say at this point in time if I would recommend EZ.

I feel that some form of financial adjustment is in order as the final charge was 177.39 more from the online quote and 34.54 from the sign on. YES I realize that "on the paper rental record" by signing below... BUT you never get a chance to see the final total. I’ll just "send it to your e-mail" sign here! They know you are from out of state and need to catch a flight or other transportation and they GOT you. Again, I cannot say if I would recommend EZ to family members in the future. Considering the issues as noted above. CONSUMER BEWARE!!!

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Thank you for contacting E-Z and Advantage Rent A Car. After further reviewing your Rental Agreement we found that you signed accepting the optional service of the E-Z Toll program for for $9.99 a day plus taxes and fees, and the Prepaid Fuel Program for $38.61. When you signed your Agreement you acknowledged that you had the opportunity to read through the Agreement before signing to verify all charges were correct. Since you signed agreeing to all charges which included the E-Z Toll Program and the Fuel Program, a refund is not applicable Thank you and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Rent-A-Car?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Be cautious when renting a car from E-Z Rent-A-Car. After arriving in Orlando Florida, I went to the E-Z Rent-A-Car area and I was checked in by Ahmad. Ahmad DID NOT go over the extra charges I would faced with in regards to the collision damage waiver (CDW) and additional driving cost. I was charged an additional $12.99 per day for adding an extra driver and $25.49 for the CDW. When I called the company after receiving the final invoice and called to dispute it, a representative called me back on October 19, 2017.

I talked to Ahmad and he said he would only refund the additional driver cost of $77.94 for the 5 days, but not the $152.94 cost of the Collision Damage Waiver. I was not reimbursed for either of this items and I did NOT receive a callback from the manager. I consider myself to be a knowledgeable consumer, but the rental agreement is made to be complicated to someone, especially after flying for half the day. E-Z Rent-A-Car is possibly in violation of the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA).

Please DO NOT TRUST the 5 star reviews for this company since there is the possibility they were submitted by employees or agents from the company. Many others have similar issues with the E-Z Rent-A-Car as well. Trust the 1 star reviews! Be leery when renting from this company at the Orlando International Airport location.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Thank you for your review. Customer satisfaction is our main priority and we thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience with us. I will be reaching out to you to obtain more information regarding your issue. Thank you again for your feedback!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I traveled from Colorado Springs to Houston for business, arriving the 24th of September through October 13th. I'd made reservations to pick up a rental car for a good price - about 600 dollars. When I'd arrived, I waited over an hour for the single employee working to process seven customers. She hurried through my check-in, sign here, initial here, that sort of thing. Told me, and this is key here, that E-Z Advantage would be HOLDING $1400.00 on my credit card to cover any potential damage fees or if I didn't return with a full tank of gas. Animated about this, reasonably, I made sure that she promise that I'd only be charged the original amount I'd reserved for, and she swore emphatically that I would. She even upsized the size of my rental car, which was kind.

I returned the vehicle to IAH Airport on October 13th. The agent that processed the transaction informed me that I was billed $1,418.77. Confused, I asked about these charges and he told me, much like the first agent, that I'd only be charged the original amount. Skeptical, I contacted customer service by calling 800-277-5171. The agent not only confirms that I was "correctly" charged $1,418.77, but that this is now a closed contract and there's nothing to be done. I request to speak to a supervisor. This has gone too far. I remain on hold for 41 minutes until the call drops at 1:53 PM. I'm never contacted about the issue.

Look, I work in the energy industry. I'll survive if I never get the money back. If this is how business is conducted, though? Then Monday morning, 35,000 BH employees get the email to never use E-Z Advantage. Then the 330,000 employees of my parent company. Embarrassing. What a hassle. What a nightmare experience.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Thank you for contacting Advantage Rent A Car. After further investigation and reviewing your Rental Agreement we found that you signed accepting the optional service of the Collision Damage Waiver for $28.49 a day plus taxes and fees and the Roadside Service Program for $6.49 a day plus taxes and fees. When you signed your Agreement you acknowledged that you had the opportunity to read through the Agreement before signing to verify all charges were correct. Because you singed agreeing to all charges, a refund is not applicable. Thank you and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Rented a Sonata or equivalent for my wife through Car.com. Tried to give me a stripped Kia RIO. Ended up the the lowest grade Camry that was several years old and had NO spare tire. The car was filthy inside and out and covered with so many bugs you could hardly see out of the windshield. The seats were stained everywhere. Ended up taking the car back as the left rear window was stuck open from trying to cool the car off from sitting in the sun. Also NO Roadside Assistance included. I asked what she would do if she got a flat and they said call AAA (AAA would not have had a spare tire anyway) which we do not have or need as our primary car has Roadside Assistance included so no need for AAA.

After taking the Toyota back and complaining, E-Z said they would upgrade it to a new 2018 Toyota with a spare tire and 1400 miles and added Roadside Assistance for $7. My wife was doing the paperwork at the counter and the had her initial something to make the change. Turns out the rental went from $139 to $214 which I did not catch right away and being as we were short on time we were stuck. E-Z Rent-A-Car is a disaster of a company with extremely poor customer service. I recommend you avoid E-Z Rent-A-Car or their companion company Advantage. Stick with the name brands even if it costs a little more.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

The Good News: On July 28, 2016 I rented a car from E-Z in Salt Lake City. I initialed the Collision Damage Waiver and was charged nothing for insurance as the note regarding CDW stated, "By initialing here you decline to purchase our CDW and you agree to be responsible for all damage to or loss of the Vehicle." The Bad News: Just a year later on August 4, 2017 I rented a car from E-Z in Atlanta. I initialed the Collision Damage Waiver and was charged $82.47, $27.49 per day for 3 days! When I later read the fine print in the note regarding the CDW on the Atlanta contract it stated, "By initialing here you AGREE TO PURCHASE [my emphasis] CDW. CDW does not cover all... [three more lines of legalisms]... $27.49 per day.

The word 'waiver' in the Atlanta contract was twisted to be contradictory to its use in the SLC contract and contradictory to its meaning! Merriam-Webster gives the definition of waiver as, "the act of intentionally relinquishing or abandoning a known right, claim, or privilege." How could one be agreeing to purchase insurance when initialing a waiver which means they are 'relinquishing or abandoning' the right to insurance? This is outright fraud!

The same fraudulent contradictory wording occurs on the Fuel Purchase Option. The SLC contract states: “By initialing here, you decline to purchase either FPO and you agree to either (A) return the Vehicle with the fuel gauge reading at least the same level as when rented, or (B) pay us an estimated refueling fee based on the cost of $... per gallon. You will not receive a credit if you return the Vehicle with more fuel than rented.” The phrase, “pay us an estimated refueling fee” appears to indicate that one would pay for the amount of fuel used. In contrast, the Atlanta contract states: “By initialing here, you agree to purchase FPO fuel at the beginning of the rental. No refueling fees will apply if you return the Vehicle with less fuel than when rented. You will not receive a refund or credit for unused fuel. $2.70 per gallon.”

The fraud in this case is that the agent told me that the cost would be about the same if I refueled to the same level as at rental or purchased the FPO. However, the only way one would come out about the same is if the Vehicle was brought back with an empty tank (unlikely unless one risks running out of gas) as FPO charges for the full amount of gas the tank holds. I used about 4 gallons ($10.80 at $2.70 per gallon), but paid $43.07 for nearly 16 gallons! The total fraudulent charges were ($43.07 - $10.80) + $82.47 (the CDW) = $114.74, a 69% overcharge.

The signature block on the contract says, “…You have had the opportunity to read… (the agreement)". But in reality you don’t. It took about 15 minutes waiting in line to get to the counter, and when I was there many were waiting behind me. Because of this, you trust the integrity of known established companies (E-Z has been in existence for 23 years) as you can’t hold up the line at counter reading all the fine print (the agreement contains approximately 4,500 words including the back side). Note that on consumeraffairs.com regarding the approval rating for E-Z Rental over the past year, 36% of the ratings were ones on a 1-5 scale. To top that, the combined one and two ratings add up to a whopping 47%! E-Z Rental has apparently exploited nearly half of their customers!

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I needed to rent a car to go see my mother, who lived in another state and was having a medical emergency. I reserved a car for a total price, including all fees, of $33.53. I have rented approximately a hundred cars in my lifetime, so I was very familiar with the procedure and I didn't expect any problem. When I arrived at their pick-up location, I had to wait half an hour for their shuttle, while all the other companies' shuttles passed by every 10 minutes. Then, after I finally arrived at the desk, I was surprised with a bunch of additional requirements for "local renters." Apparently, those who reside within a 65 mile radius of the rental location are subject to a $350 deposit, we need to show our current personal automobile insurance policy declarations, and we are not entitled to the unlimited mileage as promised on the original agreement.

We only have the option to "purchase" unlimited mileage for an additional $20 per day, or pay 55 cents for each mile over 250. My confirmation email had told me NONE of this. These features are buried in a tiny little link for terms and conditions, which is full of unprofessional grammar and misspellings. I left and had to walk to another rental agency, where I was issued a vehicle with much better terms, but this incident caused a big delay for me, and my attempt to recover the lost time resulted in a speeding ticket, my first moving violation in 25 years. So, that falsely advertised $33.53 ended up costing me more than $200, but at least I got to see my mother one last time before she passed away.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

On 10/8/17 I arrived in Orlando Florida and went to pick up my reservation from E-Z Rent A Car. When reviewing option I was asked if I wanted to to pay for fuel after returning the vehicle which I agreed. I was told that the cost would be $30.49 at $2.41 a gallon which was okay. I was then asked if I want premium or basic insurance for the vehicle which I said basic since my credit card covers everything and I don't need it. He then said, "Just go ahead and sign for the vehicle" and said "5 screens will pop up just initial and hit accept." He then showed me by saying, "Initial here" and he scrolled with the pen and hit okay on the first screen.

Turns out the charge of 30.49 was not for gas but for insurance which I said I did not want. I called customer service when I arrived at the hotel 30min away and was told that I would have to drive back to resolve. I explained that is not really possible as of the time needed is not practical while I'm on vacation. I went to explain that I was mislead by what I signed and considering that the first thing signed is the item the representative scrolled past for me. I feel that this was a ploy to get an additional sale. I have no need for this coverage and was told by customer service they can't help. In the end I was overcharged $182.94.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

On behalf of E-Z and Advantage Rent-A-Car we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you underwent while renting with us. Customer satisfaction is our main priority and we thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience with us. Because we take your feedback seriously we are currently addressing these issues with our Management Team to make all of the necessary improvements for the convenience and enjoyment of our valued customers, such as yourself. When you signed your Agreement you acknowledged that you had the opportunity to read through the Agreement before signing to verify all charges were correct. Once again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We've been 2 days late to our holiday in Orlando and missed booked car with another company so had to look for new car. Freddie at EZ cars was very pleasant to arrange a car for $20 a day for 5 days, but initial bill came to $600. Surprise, surprise, welcome to Orlando. Our previously booked car was around $160 so it didn't look right. It's our first trip to US, so we have to rely on honesty of service providers. Then eventually he reduced to $500 as there are actually 5 days from 18 to 23 September.

It was explained that we are charged just for insurance we need to have, and wasn't in my previous rental, therefore the price difference. I checked once again at the hotel our previous reservation and went following day to desk to complain about the price and the car (internal power point not working). They gave us upgrade and reduced price to $358.84 but the total I was charged is $404.51. This price meddling is totally unfair. They charge double compared with Internet price plus balloon price for unaware people coming the first time. On the website there is no email address provided to contact directly.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

After further investigation we found that you signed accepting the optional service of the Collision Damage Waiver for $29.99 a day plus taxes and fees, the Roadside Service Plan for $6.99 a day plus taxes and fee, the Supplemental Liability Insurance for $14.99 per day plus taxes and fees, and the Personal Accident Insurance for $7.49 per day plus taxes and fees. When you signed your Agreement you acknowledged that you had the opportunity to read through the Agreement before signing to verify all charges were correct. Because you singed agreeing to all charges, a refund is not applicable.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I rented a car in E-Z Rent-A-Car at Miami airport on 08th Sep. Picked up the car in the morning at 10:00am and I was going in the Road to New Orleans. When I was near the Lamont, FL, the battery Light in red appears in the panel and 5 mins after that appears in the panel the yellow alert called "malfunction" and after 2 mins the car started to decrease the speed and when try to accelerate, there was no answer (just drive at 2 mph) and for my Lucky, I can took the exit to Lamont city and park the car into a Mobil gas station at 19:00. After park, I started to check the car and called to E-Z car to request assistance, but after talk for sometime with the attendant, I was informed that regarding Irma hurricane, no one can help me and said to me to try to call again on the next day in the morning.

So I tried to find a hotel/motel at the city for me and my wife sleep but all were sold out with no vacancy, so we needed to sleep inside the car at the gas station! In the morning, I tried to start the engine and the same issue and lights in the panel, so I asked for a person in the gas station to do a jump start regarding that he had cables and we did it and nothing change so I called again to E-Z car and Talked with Raquel and explained to her all the situation and she said to me if it was possible to go to Jacksonville, FL with the car (but the car was with problem and no way to drive the car) and also regarding Irma evacuation at Florida, the truck towing didn't accept to pick up the car and go to Jacksonville, so I said to Raquel that I needed to leave the car at the Lamont city and after someone from E-Z car take the car (because I will not stay in the car until Someone probably on Tuesday can take the car).

After drop the line with Raquel, I found a truck towing near the gas station and asked him for help and he also tried to do jump start with no success and after check more deeper he looked that the belt was cutted so for this reason had the issue. So to leave the car in a more safety place I paid him US$ 175,00 to go to Tallahassee International airport and we left the car inside the long term park on the third spot on the right, with the GPS inside the trunk, all doors locked and the key I put inside the little door to access the gasoline tank nozzle.

After that I needed to pay US$ 700.00 for a Taxi to go with me and my wife to New Orleans. For all these reasons I request the refund of the value that I paid in the credit card US$ 1073,51, because I rent the car to go out of Florida (Irma evacuation) and I had a headache with the car at the same day that was rented to me with bad maintenance (for this reasons the belt broke). I already explain this situation by phone and informed that the car has been moved from Lamont to Tallahassee airport and Biron (E-Z car) said me that someone from Jacksonville will Pick up the car in the Tallahassee airport.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Thank you for taking the time to notify us about your experience. We apologize for not meeting your service expectations. All the information regarding the inquiry has been gathered and will forward it to upper management to be further reviewed. Your ticket number is 213903. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at 407-888-0519.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Booked a car online for 160 dollars, I made a mistake, ended up at the wrong airport. Houston international instead of hobby. Was told they will match the price. Had a baby and was getting irritated so I just signed the document and left. Checked the document the next day and have been charged 3 times the amount I was quoted. Absolute joke.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

We landed at Atlanta Airport and was directed to our rental car desk, there was one person in front of us and I reach the desk with a smile telling the agent that I had an reserved for Van, and here is my reservation #. She looks at it, looked up at me and said in this "what the hell you want me to do" voice and said, "We don't have any vans/cars so if you want to wait for 45 mins maybe we MIGHT have something!" So I ask why did we reserve a Van If you don't have any, why not an email to inform us? She didn't even say, "We are so sorry but there is shortage of vehicles." She just gave me attitude like we caused problem! Yes your prices was awesome, but I will stick with my Enterprise for guarantee to have a car, when I Travel! And CUSTOMER SERVICE IS KEY! #you pay for what you get!

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Arrived at DFW this afternoon, 30 Sep 17, went to EZ counter to pick up the car rental. I am the only customer in the line, the young lady behind the counter was just sitting there staring at me... Finally, she motioned for me to approach after 19 minutes, then starts going over rules about renting a car. I told her my name and gave her my credit card and license, then she asks for a 'declaration'. Kept insisting I needed to provide this document and reciting some rule. I ask her if she was having a bad day based on her tone, but she just kept reciting this rule.

I explain I have rented from this company before and never had to provide a declaration. I still don't know what that is, at any rate, she appeared to be irritated that I was even there. I asked if I could just cancel my reservation, she said I could at no charge, so I asked her to cancel and then I proceeded to one of the other companies, and it took about 15 minutes for me to sign the contract and drive off the lot.

I called customer service to make sure the reservation had been cancelled and some guy named George wants to read some policy. I ask to speak to a manager and there is no manager. I just want a refund for a service I was not provided. I don't get how a clerk can decide who gets waited on, and if they are having a bad day, why can't they just take a break or something? All I wanted to do was pick up the car I rented, that's it. I fly into DFW four times a year and will never rent from EZ again! Worst service ever!

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

On behalf of E-Z and Advantage Rent-A-Car we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you underwent while renting with us. Customer satisfaction is our main priority and we thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience with us. Because we take your feedback seriously we are currently addressing these issues with our Management Team to make all of the necessary improvements for the convenience and enjoyment of our valued customers, such as yourself. Your refund has been processed please allow up to 21 business days for the amount to reflect onto the card on file. Once again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I upgraded my car after an over hour wait in line. My sister just passed and I was in a hurry. They charged me 775 dollars for a 6 day rental. I tried to dispute this charge later and was put on hold and given the runaround. I am very displeased. Who pays 775 or over 100 dollars a day for a car? Their customer service wasn't helpful at all. They said I needed to talk to the place I rented from but couldn't give me a number!

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I am extremely angry with E-Z Rent-A-Car in not conducting business with honesty. They are charging me USD414 instead of USD197.46 and giving reason for something didn't take place! One claimed that I returned the car on Aug 22 and another claimed that I needed to pay for fuel. During checking out of my rented car on Aug 17, I was told to pay a refundable deposit of USD200. Upon returning of my car on Aug 20, I was expecting a refund on deposit of USD200. I checked my online credit card statement and I had been charged USD414 on Aug 20. I wrote emails to them with no reply. I decided to have someone called them and obtained reasons for things didn't take place! (1) Extra 2 days rental: Check your CCTV that I had returned the car on Aug 20! And you might have rented the same car out on Aug 20 to another person. (2) Fuel charges: I had paid for fuel package! AA should have a record that I left on Aug 20.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Thank you for contacting E-Z Rent A Car. After further investigation and reviewing your Rental Agreement we found that you signed accepting the optional service of the Supplemental Liability Protection for $14.99 a day plus taxes and fees, the Renters Liability Protection for $15.99 a day plus taxes and fees, and the Fuel program for $27.55. When you signed your Agreement you acknowledged that you had the opportunity to read through the Agreement before signing to verify all charges were correct. Because you singed agreeing to all charges, A refund is not applicable. For further assistance please contact our voice of customer team at 407-888-0519 or at vocteam@advantage.com. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

SERVICE EZ RENTALS LOCATED ONCHAPMAN AND HARBOR ANAHEIM - To all who are concerned this company has failed to produce a copy of my contract because it was removed from the glove box of the rental, as yet to return my cash deposit of 400 dollars. I had insurance and liability required by law through their insurance. The car was returned in a timely matter. All debts have been paid. The manager has been rude over and over again, hung up the phone on me several times and refuses to email me my contract.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

We reserved a Nissan Sentra to pick up at the LAX location on Aug 27. Obtaining the vehicle was not difficult - we did not experience the delays encountered by other reviewers. We were given a Nissan Sentra that appeared to be clean and in reasonably good condition. However, after we had driven a considerable distance from the rental lot, we discovered that the vehicle lacked electrical windows and door locks. This turned out to be highly inconvenient when dealing with passengers. I don't believe we have rented a car lacking electrical windows and door locks since these amenities became generally available back in the 80's or so. I mean, how cheap can you get?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Great price and services... Super people to deal with... Although the airport pick up bus service is not publicized very well, it's easy to catch the shuttle at location #2 just outside the baggage claim at Maui Airport. Short wait and the shuttle shared so don't get confused by the logos... Cheers.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our service. Your feedback is very valuable to us therefore, we have discussed your experience with our Management Team to keep up our world class service. Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I had been told that E-Z Rent-A-Car was within the Jacksonville airport. Not. When I arrived at the counter the young woman was smarmy and sarcastic, and gave me the keys and told me to go "find my car" by using the key fob. When I got on the highway, I saw to my horror that the gas tank was completely empty. I quickly stopped and filled up the tank. As I got back on the highway, a large roach crawled across the dash. When I returned the vehicle, there was a line and the man took my keys, tossed them in a chair and said he would send me an email receipt the same day. I am still waiting. When I arrived at my destination, I called customer service to report the empty tank. I was given a case number and told I would be called within 24 hours. It's been 3 days and I am still waiting.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

On behalf of AEZ Rent-A-Car we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you underwent while renting with us. Customer satisfaction is our main priority and it is unfortunate that our agent was not up to our company standards and did not provide you with the best service you deserved. We thank you for providing us with feedback of your rental experience with us. We take our customers feedback seriously and we have addressed this incident with our Management Team to make all of the necessary improvements. Once again we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Car rental reservation made weeks in advance. Arrived at pick up location and the lines were 2 hours. Multiple staff chairs were empty. Not worth the money saved. Don't rent from them unless you like standing in line for hours. This is my second experience with them like this. Horrible company.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

On behalf of E-Z and Advantage Rent-A-Car we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you underwent while renting with us. Customer satisfaction is our main priority and we thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience with us. We are currently looking for ways to improve our customers wait time. Because we take your feedback seriously we are currently addressing these issues with our Management Team to make all of the necessary improvements for the convenience and enjoyment of our valued customers, such as yourself. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

We had reserved a car through EZ rental car in Orlando. At the airport when we went to pick it up, it was supposed to be 170 dollars, when we finished it was 314 dollars. The attendant at the counter was very rude, never was told about second driver fee that came to 65 dollars for the week. Just seemed not to care. When we went to pick up car it was dirty and full of scratches and smelled like someone tried to cover up smoke. We wanted a full size car, felt like the one we got was too small and they did not want to hear it, then again the people were rude and did not care. It was like you rented it you live with it. I will never rent another car from this place and not recommend it to anyone else.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Thank you for contacting Advantage Rent A Car. After further investigation and reviewing your Rental Agreement we found that you signed accepting the optional service of the additional driver fee for $12.99 a day plus taxes and fees. When you signed your Agreement you acknowledged that you had the opportunity to read through the Agreement before signing to verify all charges were correct. Because you singed agreeing to all charges which include the additional driver fee, a refund is not applicable.Thank you and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Made reservation online 5 months in advance. Seemed to be most reasonable price. Car was washed and ready. Had relatively low mileage. Check-in and check-out were both efficient. What I liked most about E-Z Rent-A-Car was that no one in the process tried to up-sell me to a bigger car, or pushed insurance, GPS, toll payer unit, etc., all with higher rental costs. This, alone, makes me want to use E-Z again.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Employee at MCO in the garage area where car is pick up, name of Margery was so wonderful, our car assigned at the rental desk stunk. She was so nice and helpful of cigarette smoke and she immediately got us another car and even brought it to us, she was so nice and helpful.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

We enjoy renting at E-Z Rent-A-Car. The facility to reserve without a credit card helps us a lot. The cars are new and nice and also very comfortable. The staff on site and customer service are helpful. Check-in and check-out of rental goes smoothly.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I rented a Hyundai Accent for a period of 29 days from E-Z Rent-A-Car at SeaTac. I found the whole experience to be excellent, from picking up to dropping off back at the airport. Staff were pleasant, helpful, and efficient and the rates were the best I could find for what I wanted. The car was new-ish, clean, and just right for my needs. I was very happy overall and would recommend their services to others.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our service. Your feedback is very valuable to us therefore, we have discussed your experience with our Management Team. Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Possibly the worst customer service experience I have encountered. Tardy, unapologetic, unsafe, disinterested, inefficient, rude, argumentative, unaffected, condescending, patronizing, dirty, unethical. You name it, that's EZ Rent a Car. I rented a car from their LAX location on August 9 but understand this to be the case all of the time. Check out their online ratings - they speak for themselves. DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM THIS COMPANY REGARDLESS OF THE PRICE. YOU'LL MISS YOUR MEETING. YOUR VACATION WILL BE UNDERMINED. You Will Regret It.

E-Z Rent-A-Car response

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Great experience, no pressure for extras, friendly staff at check-in and when I returned the van at the end of the week. Reasonable price too. The amount I ended up paying when I returned the van was exactly what was quoted when I made the reservation several months prior.

E-Z Rent-A-Car Company Information