1.57/5
Based on 124 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

144 Turo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

I got ripped off by Turo the first time I rented for false damages. I got ripped off a second time AGAIN for false damages. I will stick with private car rental companies from now on. At least they can be held accountable.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I've rented my vehicle on Turo for two years. I have 113 rentals. On June 5 my vehicle went missing. Turo took no action to locate the vehicle. After six days of diligent research, I was able to contact the mother of the woman who did not return my vehicle. I found it abandoned 40 miles out of town. Turo then REFUSED to acknowledge or pay for any damage when I provided all the required proof. They also implemented NO FEES for my stolen vehicle. They did not reimburse me for the six days my vehicle was missing. I have requested to speak with a higher up several times and they've refused to acknowledge my requests. Both the owner and customer pay for an insurance on Turo, yet Turo has repeatedly refused to cover damages on vehicles caused by renters.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I used Turo in Ireland just recently May/June 2018 and overall had a flawless, better than promised experience. The app on my phone was a godsend and kept me in touch directly with the host who was renting the car to me. We had some minor confusion with pickup location (my fault) but he was very understanding and patient. We had agreed on a specific car which happened to be already rented but he replaced it (as agreed ahead of time) with an even better one at the same price. He was honest, fair and a pleasure to work with.

I used the Turo in app facility (at Turo’s request) to photograph the car inside and out before and after renting and felt this was a great idea as I have fallen prey to the nonaccident accident that several of the large car rental companies have tried to pull on me. I absolutely loved the simplicity of this entire experience, though I had no problems (thankfully). I cannot comment on any further experience with Turo but the first class one I just had. Great job.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Aside from being difficult to reach, they are extremely rude and offer no help whatsoever. I had an account that was breached and I received a notification that my credit card and personal information has been hacked so when I called them to find out what was going on, I was told to contact via e-mail. They made me submit pictures of my license, credit card, insurance, pay stubs, bank account and a selfie of me holding my license only to tell me that they cannot give me any information regarding my account and deactivated me without any reason. I am so disgusted by the inhumane way that they handle business. I really hope no one else falls for this scam. This isn't a free market to rent cars, rather it is just a way to collect your data so they can sell your identity and information to third parties. BEWARE! THEY WILL SELL YOUR INFORMATION!!! THIS IS A CORRUPT COMPANY THAT NEEDS TO BE INVESTIGATED!

Original review: June 6, 2018

First of all the vehicle did not look like the one I first reserved on on the app. So I planned a small trip with a budget up to San Jose, Ca with my family. I made reservations at hotel as well. We decided to use Turo again. We found a mini van within our budget that allowed 800 miles for 4 days at a total price of $248.97. That’s including the discount for referring someone and insurance added to the vehicles well. Wow what a great deal so I thought. I requested Uber to take me to pick up the vehicle. Upon arrival I was shocked the mini van had campaign ads "Elect for Bob ** LA County Sheriff June 5" over the windows. I could believe it. I really thought it was some kind of prank. The owner ask me if that was a problem. I responded, "What do you think."

Now remember I’m going on vacation, My family is at the house getting ready waiting on me. This happened on Friday, it’s Memorial Day weekend. Monday is a holiday. The owner said, "Well if you don’t like it go ahead and cancel." Now can someone tell me where am I gonna find a deal at the last minute? I know the answer. Nowhere. I swallowed my pride and nodded my head. I said, "Yeah I’ll take it." I got home. My wife was speechless. Embarrassed. I finally convinced her. But it was hard. Keep in mind I drove almost 800 miles round trip. If you ever travel on the 5 fwy you know there is tire debris every where.

Upon returning the vehicle just how the owner requested cleaned, wash and full of gas he discovered a small scuff mark on the lower driver side bumper near the fog light. He asked me what happened. I said, "I didn’t even know that was there." He responded by saying, "Don’t worry. I’ll use the insurance and pay me." That was it.

A day or two later Turo requested $500 dollars from to start the insurance claim. I was not happy at all. I called Turo. They give the run around how someone is handling your case and they’ll get in touch with you. Finally someone did but it was a lost cause. I explained everything about the ads on the vehicle, the scuff mark and of course the insurance I had purchased. The Turo rep was not really trying to listen to what I had to say or hear any complaints. She looked at the pictures and agreed that is not really a big deal and and the damage should be way less than five hundred dollars.

3 days later they withdrew $500 from my credit card. The next day I get that email about that payment. A second email a minute later how they took another $120.94 to cover the amount owed. Plus this statement. "Please note, if a supplement is filed (in plain language, if additional damage is found), we will notify you once complete to determine any impact on your financial responsibility." This vehicle, insurance, gas and damages cost us $1009.91. I should have just bought plane tickets round trip for $500. Beware. Turo is not here to help you if you have a real accident. I think they will clean your bank account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Original review: June 4, 2018

I’ve rented 3 times. All seamless thru the app, efficient, fair price, and good use of tech for messaging, “checkout”, photos, and communicating with car owners. Also easy to reserve, car condition good, and owners helpful to extend reservation. I’ve been singing Turo praises to others!

Original review: June 4, 2018

I rented a vehicle for my nephew's prom. The day of prom the vehicle I rented was badly damaged. Last minute I had to book another vehicles as well as pay out of pocket. A few hours into my trip the 2nd vehicle front air shocks blew. Vehicle had to be towed. I had no way to take my nephew to his prom next day. I’m charged $500 for damages to a vehicle the following day. I’m scrolling thru Facebook and see Turo rented the same badly damaged car I didn’t take to another person for prom. This site seems to be a scam to do Insurance jobs on high end vehicles. Customer service is horrible. Since this happened I have not been contacted from anyone from Turo.

Original review: May 31, 2018

As a car owner, my experience with Turo has been horrendous. One of the drivers that rented my car was in an accident that caused significant damage to the front of my car. I chose the insurance plan in the middle, which provides for essentially total coverage in the event of an accident. The accident occurred on May 8, 2018. Turo assessed the damage using the pictures submitted by both myself and the renter. Because of the extent of the damage, they referred my claim to a third party called David Morse and Associates. The claim agent at David Morse and Associates has been absolutely terrible, non-communicative, took several days to get back to me, and then altogether stopped returning my calls.

Turo customer service was polite but essentially didn't lift a finger when I told them that the claim agent at their third party was completely unresponsive. Eventually, the claim agent arranged for an appraiser to evaluate the damage to my car. That took several days to occur. The appraiser took a few days to return the estimate, at which point the claim agent was supposed to arrange a tow for the car to a repair shop of my choice. That also took several days. The car was finally towed to a repair shop this Tuesday, but it has now been 23 days since the accident occurred and the car has still not been repaired. Their process for handling major accidents is completely inefficient and essentially leaves the owner without any means of transportation.

With the middle insurance plan, they're supposed to cover Uber/Lyft rides, but there is a limit of $30 a day, so if you need to travel somewhere far, you're out of luck. Please, please heed my advice and never use this service as a car owner. From what I have now read online after my experience, they're equally awful to renters. This company is not going to survive the way it treats its customers.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Worst customer service ever. They actually LIE when you ask them questions. I reported a host for recording and posting the recordings on YouTube. That was my first trip. After reporting that guy I chose a different host for my second trip. I got an email on the second day saying suspicious activity reported. All I did was go to work. Seriously. I'm a security guard. How suspicious can that be? I called customer service and attempted to argue this out with the person who answered who by the way had the same name as the one on the email. She continually insisted I take a photo of my license and send it to her.

First of no way... I don't know her. And secondly... I'M AT WORK. Company policy is no photography or video of any kind. Period. But she still kept insisting that just one photo would be ok. I asked for her supervisor and was told her supervisor was in a meeting. It's 3 a.m.? So I said have your supervisor call me. I waited two hours. No phone call. I called them back. Got someone completely different. This guy said she never even put it in the notes that I asked for a supervisor. Sounds sketchy. Like she's a list and a scammer. I asked about the time. She said it's 3 pm where they are. It was 3 am here. So they aren't even truly in the U.S. So pissed. I feel like it's retaliation because I threatened to sue them over the recording problems.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Rented an A7 - the owner was a pleasure, communicative, proactive, everything could have hoped for. The car was fine, until we had to put on AC on a day when the temperatures hit 97F - the AC didn't work! It was like driving around in a black greenhouse! Completely ruined our day as we were soaked in sweat to arrive for what was meant to be a romantic weekend. My girlfriend's hair looked like a rat's nest since we had to have the windows open to get any sort of cooling. Turo support didn't respond over the weekend, and then said to figure it out with the owner... Offered a $25 voucher as an apology. While we were lucky it was only a problem with the AC and didn't put our health at risk, I couldn't imagine what would have happened if it was something serious.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I recently traveled to Hawaii and used Turo to rent a vehicle. I rented a BMW X3 for a very reasonable price. At the last minute, I needed to extend the rental and there was no problem doing so. Great response from the renter also.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I rented a 2005 Mercedes while vacationing in Miami. The owner was responsive and although the car had some minor interior damage and made some engine noises it was a nice ride. I returned the car with gas and performed a walkthrough with the owner who stated everything was fine and gave me a five star review shortly after. 5 weeks later I receive an email stating a claim is being processed for a scrape on the rear bumper and 700 dollars will be deducted from my account. This is with the insurance that I purchased for a picture of something that looked like it could buff down in ten minutes. I have asked repeatedly for an explanation for the time it took to report the claim to me and further evidence that the scrape occurred while I had the car as we did not see or discuss it during the walkthrough. Nightmare service, fly by night company, stay with a trusted name!

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have experienced the WORST customer experience I've ever known these last 2 months from Turo. I signed up on the recommendation of a friend, and I really wish I had done my research because I would have found this website and seen all of the negative reviews. The rental process was fine, until I received a claim from Turo staff that the owner has "reported smoking in the car" and issued me an automatic $200 USD fine. I explained my side, I absolutely wasn't smoking in the car (I've never smoked in my life!), and that it smelled when I received the car from her.

My credit card was automatically deducted before we were even able to come to a resolution, and after 2 months of emails going back and forth with Turo customer service, their only argument was that the owner had reported "evidence" that it had been me. This evidence was a photo of some remnants of tobacco on the back seat of the car. The time stamp was 14 hours after I dropped off the car. It's still a mystery to me how this is compelling "evidence" and outweighs the customer's side in a classic her word versus mine. My guess is the dodgy owner (ANDRAS, Nissan Versa 2012) planted it there herself to earn a quick $200. It seems very convenient, and is also quite a large fee for something that isn't permanent damage to the car!

After pushing my case for 2 months, and experiencing very frustrating email responses from their customer service, such as this "If the owner of the vehicle agrees to waive the smoking fee, we can easily waive it for you. We cannot process any refund or waiving any fee because the owner requested it. I can see that you already reach out to the owner about the smoking fee. Please feel free to reply to this email if you have additional concerns. It is my pleasure to make sure that you receive the best support that you deserve." Well yes of course I have additional concerns, this email answers nothing!

I also referenced their legal terms and conditions - The relevant section on the Turo website states: "At the end of your trip, replace the gas you used and meet the owner to drop off the car. Walk around the car again, hand over the keys, give them a high five, and start planning your next adventure." And finally asking for my case to be escalated to senior customer service they came back and offered me a refund of $25 (of the $200 fine). This is not a reasonable resolution, and I am still perplexed as to how weighted the support is for car owners vs an innocent customer. I cannot believe Turo is still running as a company, DO NOT USE THEIR SERVICE. It is an absolute SCAM.

Original review: May 24, 2018

If I could give these people zero stars I would. Their entire website is full of misrepresentation, and hosts who do not disclose the actual condition of their vehicles. Especially watch out for Haitham, who does NOT fix prior damages to his vehicles, and continues to take advantage of people's insurance plans and money. Moreover, he does NOT use the money taken out of insurance to fix his vehicles, and pockets it himself. Despite reporting this to Turo, they refuse to hold their host accountable, even though a $50 minimum fine is listed on their website for misrepresentation. This place is a lawsuit waiting to happen, if it hasn't already.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I've been renting cars on Turo for about 2 years. Every experience has been wonderful. If I had an issue, It was handled expeditiously of the issue promptly. They have excellent customer service. Thank you Turo!

Original review: May 22, 2018

Don't ever rent a car from Turo. This company is a total scam. They over charge for their rentals and the owners of the vehicles will submit bogus claims, in which you (the renter) are liable for these expenses. I just recently rented a vehicle on Friday, May 18th, and, I returned the vehicles the following day (05/19). And, I when I did an overview with the driver, I was informed everything was fine. However, I received an email from Turo’s claims department stating that I was liable for “alleged damaged” to a used tire, and my credit card was charged $112.80 for this replaced. Even though, I provided Turo's bogus claims department with evidence to support that this damaged tire did not occurred, during my rental. Nevertheless, Turo still charged my credit card for this expense. I will never use this company EVER AGAIN!

Original review: May 22, 2018

I use Turo almost every weekend to run errands. I live in the city and use public transportation to get to and from work so I do not need to own a car. However, on the weekend it is easier and quicker to get my errands done if I utilize a car. I first used Turo when I wanted to travel to see my grandparents. Every national car rental place wanted me to have a major credit card. Whereas, Turo used my bank card. It is easy and convenient to rent a car from Turo. I highly recommend this service. Unique and affordable car rental service.

Original review: May 20, 2018

We recently rented a car through Turo for a vacation. It was overall a good experience, getting in touch with the car owner was very easy, and I have no complaints with the Turo system. No damage to car was encountered, it was very clean and the owners were awesome. Will definitely consider using Turo on my next few vacations.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I rented a car through Turo! The process seemed very easy. My rental experience was fine until I needed to extend the car for a day. The owner was fine with this, yet I received an email stating that there was an issue with my account. I was then told that I needed to turn the car in on the new date and time (which was the plan). Once I turned the vehicle in, the owner said to contact him if I ever needed to rent a vehicle when visiting! So why was my account deactivated?!? No real explanation was given! Just a bunch of emails asking me to verify info which clearly was verified already, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to rent through Turo in the first place! There is definitely something fishy going on with this company! And their customer service gets 0 Stars! Dealing directly with the owner was fine, but this company seems like they're running some type of scam!

Original review: May 18, 2018

Through Turo, rented 2014 blue Scion FRX, with 42K miles, for 3 days. After about 170 miles on day 1, I heard shrill whining noise and smelt smoke from engine. Car was in neutral and still the same whining noise. Tried contacting Turo, they kept me on hold for 1 hour, and then they hung up on me. Called owner and explained car was not safe to drive. Owner only wanted to know if I would return the car in time, else he wanted to charge late penalty. I drove a limping, dying car and returned it. Now, car owner is filing claims and Turo has charged my credit card.

Turo will not pick up calls, will not answer texts, and I need to submit evidence in 2 days or I am at fault. How can you show pictures of an engine noise? Turo rep says he will speak in 4 days time! So, for driving 150 miles I'm paying more than $800! Be careful, be very very careful. Believe me, I never give bad reviews, I have 30+ years driving experience and only 2 tickets. Save your money, your holiday, your peace of mind. DO NOT GO WITH TURO.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Rented a car to go on a trip to Florida. Time set to pick up car was 10 a.m. I overslept and didn't wake up till 10:20 and contacted owner on Turo app to let them know I would be late. The owner cancelled my reservation and got to keep my money for the reservation. Since I was left with no other options, because I needed to go out of town I rebooked the car and was charged an extra $75 for the car I had originally booked for the same day from the same person. When I got to the car the car was not cleaned out it had a bad odor and was very sticky, as I drove away and decided to turn on the radio I realize that the speakers were blown out of the car. I then contacted owner to see if they were aware of the speakers and she stated yes she was aware but didn't stated in her ad for her car that her radio did not work. Turo was absolutely no help at all. They honestly just helped the owner scam me out of my money. I will never rent from them again.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I still prefer car rental over Turo. First with car rental it's convenient to pick up straight from airport and drop off. With Turo however you will need to get a taxi to your Turo pick up and drop off. So inconvenient. And the most outrageous fact about Turo, their customer service is 0 out of 10. As you rent Turo just know they want to get extra money from you. And you how the system is tailored they get it in a blink of an eye but trying even getting back a fraction of it might last a year. TURO is a huge SCAM.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Great for the most part until some small damage happens to the car you rented. Two small chips in the windshield from rocks being kicked up from other cars. They immediately charge your account 500$ even if the damage will cost nowhere near that amount. And then after the claim has been paid and closed they’ll randomly decide to open it back up and change you for “additional damages” without any explanation of what those are!

They also give you an option to not pay the amount in full right away but don’t even give you a chance to respond before charging your account for the payment in full 30 seconds after the email was sent! Also if you try calling no one in their office can help you because the claims department doesn’t even have a phone number so you’re stuck emailing back and forth with who even know if it’s a real person or an automatic response from a computer. RIDICULOUS. I’m quite positive I will never use this app ever again. It’s a great idea but the organization on their side is terrible.

Original review: May 10, 2018

TURO on the surface is an interesting idea but after consistent and repeating customer service issues I decided to see what others had to say and it is clear others are experiencing the same issues. Basically there is NO customer service. When they do get back to you they are not resolving anything and much of the response is robotic. I frankly feel real uncomfortable now that I provided my private information and payment info as well as this seems like a real loosely run ship so who knows where my stuff is going.

I spent approximately 35 minutes signing up with their less than ideal account setup and then never even got to rent the car I came to the site to do in the first place. They have quirks with their website that created several problems and caused more time wasted. There appears to be ZERO reason to use this service unless you just want to aggravate yourself.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Rented a 120,000 mile BMW. Drove all of 102 highway miles. Got car back to owner. Reviewed me with 'Would rent to again'. Then claimed damage and Turo charged my cc $649. Absolute sham company. Complete nonsense charge with owner retroactively deciding his bumper needed resprayed. STAY AWAY!

Original review: May 3, 2018

I cannot wait until there is another alternative to private rentals that kills Turo's business. I went through the whole signup process and uploaded all required documentation (including a picture of my license) and was told I was denied and my account closed?!? After contacting them through their "support texting line" I was told it was due to my driving record. I have a speeding ticket from over 5 years ago but that's about it. They give no further explanation, and can apparently deny you for no reason which is absurd. Goodluck talking to anyone from support, just a bunch of robots. Horrible company. Stay Away!

Original review: May 2, 2018

I booked a car for 2 days and upon pickup it appeared visibly to be in good condition, however on the second day I noticed a loud and highly unnerving flapping sound while driving on the highway. Upon inspection, I noticed that part of the wheel guard and undercarriage had come loose and was literally hanging off the vehicle. There was no accident, incident, off-roading or otherwise discernible cause for the damage that occurred during my rental period, part of the car just started falling off for no reason, after only 2.5 hours of normal, totally uneventful highway driving.

Quite aside from the fact that Turo should not be renting vehicles that need any maintenance whatsoever, driving this car actually felt dangerous. Had the wheel guard or undercarriage become detached while driving at high speeds on the highway it could have gone flying through someone’s windshield and seriously injured or killed them. Or if it had become jammed in the wheels it could have caused an accident in which I could have been hurt. At one point I actually considered calling a friend to come and pick me up because I was not sure that it was safe to drive home.

To the host's credit, she apologised when I dropped the car off, which indicated that she took responsibility for the problem, however that did not stop her from filing a damage claim. Turo, however, has for some inexplicable reason determined that I am responsible for parts of her car falling off for no clear reason in spite of this acknowledgement and attempted to charge my card for repair costs without my permission or approval. Their justification is that because I did not notice the damage at pick up (and did not take photos, which is a very strange requirement that is not publicized or made clear upfront), it must obviously be my fault.

Regardless of the absurdity of the photo requirement, this is faulty logic because a) a vehicle can visibly appear to be OK but still have problems that make it not roadworthy (engine problems would not be visible, your average renter would not inspect the undercarriage etc.), and b) short of being in an accident (which they agreed I wasn’t), I can’t think what I could possibly have done in 2.5 hours of normal driving that would cause large parts of the car to fall off. Maria’s car was clearly in need of serious maintenance and this would no doubt have happened to whoever drove it next. Unfortunately I was in the driver’s seat when the problem came to ahead and am now stuck dealing with a dispute and charges for repairs to someone else’s faulty vehicle.

In short, this company is a scam that rents cars that do not have regular safety checks and you would be well-advised not to rent from them. They clearly do not care about the safety of the people they are renting to and will charge you for issues that are not your fault, most likely to keep their hosts happy and avoid shouldering the costs themselves. I am actually in two minds as to whether to take them to small claims court or sue and will under no circumstances rent from them again. You should stay away.

Original review: May 1, 2018

The Turo Support are robots and only provide with a fixed garbage reply and it will not solve the problem at all. You must pay all fees in advance to contact the owner. The refund conditions are very strict, and there are many hidden costs.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Tired of car rental BS. This app and service is great. Simple to use. Excellent service and great cars for an affordable price. Would give 10 stars. If you're near LAX or vicinity check out Eldors cars! Awesome selection and easy process. Your dream car rental is possible with this app!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I rented a car for 49 days. Spent over 900$ with this company. I didn’t take before or after pictures of the car because I was unfamiliar with the process so I just met with the guy. I drive off. Now that I returned the car the guy filed a claim after 22 hours. He file an insurance claim so he can get previous damages repaired. They took 500$ from my account soon as he filed a claim. I begged for them to call me. No one called me then I received an email saying I was charged 839$. Still no call. No anything. This is a fraud company.

Turo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Turo is a car rental marketplace for travelers in the United States and Canada who can choose to rent cars from nearby owners. The company was founded in San Francisco in 2009.

• Car pickup or delivery: Most cars booked with Turo can be picked up, but owners may offer delivery service at their discretion.

• Insurance: Turo covers each car with liability insurance up to one million dollars. Extra insurance is available for renters to purchase.

• Security considerations: Cars listed on Turo must meet the company’s roadworthy requirements. Likewise, renters are screened through various profiles to ensure they will take care of their vehicles.

• Turo Valet: Turo Valets are set up at both SFO and LAX airports for travelers to pick up their reserved vehicles as soon as they get off their planes.

• Turo OpenRoad: Turo OpenRoad is a community of people dedicated to policy regarding peer-to-peer car sharing. Consumers can join the community to stay up to date on political regulation and other current issues that affect car sharing.

• Best for: Turo is best for vacationers in the United States and Canada who want to rent a specific car directly from the owner.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs