It's that easy Request Information
4.32/5
Based on 1,525 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

WHERE LOCAL HOSTS PROVIDE YOU WITH THE PERFECT VEHICLE FOR YOUR NEXT ADVENTURE

Turo is a car sharing marketplace where guests can book any car they want, wherever they want it, from a vibrant community of local hosts across the US, Canada, the UK, and Germany. Guests choose from a totally unique selection of nearby cars, while hosts earn extra money to offset the costs of car ownership.

A pioneer of the sharing economy and travel industry, Turo is a safe, supportive community over 10 million strong with more than 350,000 vehicles listed and over 850 unique makes and models. Whether it’s a truck to help out on moving day, a Mercedes-Benz for a luxurious weekend away, or a classic VW bus for a picture-perfect road trip, Turo lets you book cars that are part of a story, not a fleet.

View More View More

1809 Turo Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: May 11, 2019

The process was straightforward and not difficult. Happy with the selection, especially the proximity of my options. Vehicle was dirty and on E and required mechanical attention. Standards or minimum operating conditions for use would be much appreciated and minimize liability for all parties. The condition was unpleasant. Should not have been an issue if a minimum standard was adhered to. I was taken aback that photos were required at end of trip when not requested prior to the trip... It’s still a he said she said.

Current Condition of the car/vehicle should be made known to the trip prior to pick up, i.e., needs gas, needs car wash, exhaust squeaks, brakes squeak... In fact, there is no rating for any of that in the feedback for the trip for the owner, we kinda have to do an overall judgment and people tend to be nicer on those. A dirty car is at least a star off and squeaking car every time I brake, about two stars off but I still had fun in spite of but that’s because the car was not my trip, it was the means by which I made the trip. The car was annoying and at times embarrassing. You keeping better oversight or requiring more up to date vehicle conditions would at least let us know what to expect and maybe give us a means for a discount or non-penalty cancelation; I don’t drive a car with squeaking brakes or exhaust and I wouldn’t rent one either. I like the service you provide overall but I want reassurance that it’s not a rent a wreck or the teenager's party vehicle.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Wow, what a phenomenal automobile! This was my first experience using Turo, so I was a bit nervous. Emil, was definitely a true gentleman and he made the process very easy. I chose to pick the car up instead of having it delivered. Emil, allowed me to pick the vehicle up an hour early which was great and when I arrived he was waited outside. We shook hands and he briefly explain any details I needed and I was on my way.

The Car: The vehicle was immaculate, Emil said he had just had it detailed and it looked showroom quality. The thing was a beast, a true super car that is a blast to drive. It's most definitely a head turner and a woman magnet. It roars like a race car but purrs like a kitten and the rest is irrelevant. The Dropoff: Once my time was up with this amazing car, I topped off the fuel with premium and drove it back to Mr. Emil's residence. Since Emil was not home I left the vehicle parked in his driveway and reached out to him to verify the car is back and he could lock it up.

The Overall: The overall experience was more than I ever could have expected and to top it off I left my keys in Emil's car and he was nice enough to look through the car for me, find them, and put them away for me to retrieve. Emil was absolutely a nice guy and very professional, he was a pleasure to do business with and I look forward to the next time. I would highly recommend Emil especially to first-timers. I also recommend the Benz GT AMG he has, you will stand out for sure and there is no other Benz nicer in my opinion on Turo in Houston, TX! Thanks again Emil, my fiance and I thoroughly enjoyed our special night thanks to you!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I've had some great travel experiences with Turo. It's very convenient for security reasons most of the time, and also being able to select exactly what vehicle you want ahead of time. The prices are reasonable and the industry standard prices of a tiny compact car, are the same on Turo to rent a large SUV. I have recommended Turo to countless work associates, and family.

However I've also had some negative experiences on the platform. In the winter 2018 I rented a vehicle that was not road legal, and turn signal out. I was in the midst of a important business trip, and was unable to switch out the car working 14 hour days, and the host Tereza did not offer to help me in any way. I could've been pulled over for the car issues and given multiple tickets at my expense, and had to roll down the winter in cold conditions to arm signal while wearing a business suit. I hold Turo responsible, if the car was inspected it never should've been approved to be rented on the platform.

The host also had me picking up the vehicle in a ghetto dark parking lot with bums and weird characters loitering around, as a young female this was incredibly unsafe. She also had me drop off the car without any notice, abandoned in the dark questionable parking lot with the same characters milling about, with the doors unlocked and keys inside. She also harassed me, forgetting which customer I was, demanding me to return the car hours early, I had to keep reminding her which vehicle I was renting & the contract until she realized.

I reported this and Turo only offered me a $25 credit when I had rented the vehicle for an entire week (about $200). I inquired why they could not provide a partial refund, and Turo's rep Jovie refused to reply a 2nd time and stopped answering. I have had other minor questions and concerns, and each time the requests are answered they use cookie cutter responses, and the names seem foreign and they have poor English.

Overall, I'm happy with the ingenuity of the website and the creative replacement to commercial rental companies, however the customer service department is lacking and I don't feel that they truly address customer needs, and are more interested that they give you a quick reply to make you go away and dismiss your issues without actually correcting the root problems.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

The selection of available cars made the selection difficult, but the ability to something interesting, versus a mundane rental car for the same price was great. The car was where it was supposed to be and exceptionally clean. It drove beautifully... And being a recent Camaro, was fun to drive, even in LA traffic. I had a couple issues with the phone unlock... It turns out that sometimes, when you return to the locked car, the application screen shows the unlock button, but it is not Green and won't unlock the car. I found I had to back up a screen, and return to trip in progress to get the unlock button to go green and allow the car to unlock.

Similarly, when trying to check out, to see the fuel gauge for the required picture, the ignition was locked and I had to back out of the checkout process to be able to turn on the ignition and activate the fuel gauge. These aren't issues with the car, but you may want to give future renters a heads up (I even called for assistance, but the agent did not know how to solve the problem... After almost 10 minutes I came up with the solution I described above, him up from on-hold and was on my way... Your agents need to have this solution in their trouble shooting database also). All in all, it was a wonderful rental experience.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

So far my experience with Turo has been good. I had 3 instances where cancellations were made by negligent hosts, but at the same time I met some amazing hosts. Only complaint is the underage fee (30% for under 25) which is just insanely high. They assume people under 25 are crazy, and its bad for their business too.

My bad experiences: Host pulled a no show and I noticed his plates don’t match his car. Staff was responsive and gave me 50$ credit for the hassle. Host showed up with expired stickers and told me it's “okay”. Again Turo was very responsive, but their booking department failed to find another car for me. 25$ credit then another 50$ after I complained. Host contacted me about issue with car, and was very upfront. He told me he broke the rim on the pothole, and that the car was vibrating at 100+ kph. I appreciated his honesty and made no complaints to Turo.

Otherwise everything is great. They just need to take down the unreasonable 30% under 25 fee, it's just absurd. If anything they should be supporting students by giving them student discounts. I hope they can keep up the good service. I see a lot of bad reviews but it's mostly the hosts’ faults and not Turo corp. Turo also has a number in Canada so I don’t see why others are claiming they have no number!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Original review: July 21, 2019

We were very pleased with our first experience with Turo. The process was easy and convenient and you can not beat the pricing by going through traditional rental car agencies. We will definitely be using Turo again in the future!

Original review: July 20, 2019

I have had many excellent experiences with Turo. One time, I did run into a problem and their customer service worked diligently and resolved the problem. I highly recommend them, but always read the reviews of owners. That will help alleviate any concerns later.

Original review: July 20, 2019

I enjoy using Turo, it’s very user-friendly and relatively lower priced than going through a large name rental car service. I had an interesting experience where the first car that I booked ended up being stolen by the user. The owner contacted me and then by the help of Turo helped find me a replacement vehicle and even save me some money in doing so for my inconvenience.

Original review: July 20, 2019

Dodge Caravan. The vehicle was very comfortable but the interior needed cleaning up. The alarming buzzer would go off as soon as the vehicle reached 10 miles per hour. There was no indication as to why, and the vehicle owner was unaware that this was happening.

Original review: July 20, 2019

This was my first TURO trip and I was very pleased. Walked out of the airport and met our provider. Hopped in a great car for a great price. Will definitely use TURO again! Host had great communication and worked with our travel plans. Can’t say enough about Tae.

Turo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Turo is a car rental marketplace for travelers in the United States and Canada who can choose to rent cars from nearby owners. The company was founded in San Francisco in 2009.

• Car pickup or delivery: Most cars booked with Turo can be picked up, but owners may offer delivery service at their discretion.

• Insurance: Turo covers each car with liability insurance up to one million dollars. Extra insurance is available for renters to purchase.

• Security considerations: Cars listed on Turo must meet the company’s roadworthy requirements. Likewise, renters are screened through various profiles to ensure they will take care of their vehicles.

• Turo Valet: Turo Valets are set up at both SFO and LAX airports for travelers to pick up their reserved vehicles as soon as they get off their planes.

• Turo OpenRoad: Turo OpenRoad is a community of people dedicated to policy regarding peer-to-peer car sharing. Consumers can join the community to stay up to date on political regulation and other current issues that affect car sharing.

• Best for: Turo is best for vacationers in the United States and Canada who want to rent a specific car directly from the owner.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs