3.28/5
Based on 271 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

303 Turo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Everything went great with the car owner. I got there and started the Turo app, and pressed "Check In". I checked the car, the owner checked my license, I did the safety and orientation of the car, and I left. But, now that I got home, the app doesn't indicate that my ride started, and I can't figure out how to remedy that. This seems like a horrible error in their programming. It took me 5 minutes to go through a million unrelated messages about how to fix problems I'm not having, and finally it put me in the chat queue at position 1. I have been in the chat queue for 40 minutes, but the app just reset my queue position to 7.

The app is buggy, the app has a poor UI, the app asks too many questions to contact customer service, the customer service is bad, and it seems as though the people designing and programming the system don't work there anymore, because all of these issues are obvious simple things that should have been fixed long ago and any Engineer CEO would fix immediately and effortlessly.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

When I went to pick up the car, I learned that the family hadn't owned the car for two years and the guy on the account wasn't in the country so I couldn't ask him what had happened. Turo was very good about refunding the amount I had already paid immediately, and I was able to borrow a car but if I really needed THIS car I would have been way out of luck. The explanation Turo gave was that it was an "auto-book" so although it looked to me as if the owner had approved my rental, in fact it had never gone to him. Still this is a HUGE red flag and based on this experience I will NEVER RENT A TURO CAR. Their app and staff has got to be smarter than to rent out cars based on two year old information and with no follow up from the owner prior to rental. What?!

I was visiting my family and wanted to rent a car. It is quite expensive as I do not have car insurance, and I was told Turo would be cheaper. It really wasn't once I calculated in all the costs but I wanted to try it out anyway because I like the idea of being able to share a resource that isn't being used. Lesson learned, I will never rent a car from a similar service (Turo will never have my business now) unless I have personally communicated with the owner. However having used Airbnb for close to ten years with never a problem like this, I went in with full confidence but not all services are the same!

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I rented a Jeep in Hawaii and drove it for 3 days. On the way back to drop off the vehicle, plastic piece that surrounds the wheel well fell off while driving on a straight road on a crystal clear day at 40 mph. At first I was told that under the conditions I agreed to, I was liable for any damage that was not there when I originally picked up the car.

I pointed out to Richard in the claims department that this simply wasn't true as there are several exemptions (including a mechanical failure/defect that results in damage that occurs due to normal usage) and asked why this incident didn't fall under the exemption I was told that since I could not prove that it didn't fall under the exemption there was no reason to think that this shouldn't be covered. I asked how I would go about proving that a piece to a car was about to fall off when it was not obvious from looking at the vehicle, I was not provided an answer, instead I was read why he made his determination.

The reason for why I was on the hook... the car simply came back without a piece that was there when it left. I purchased the basic rental insurance so no problem, right? WRONG. The rental insurance they provide, even their top tier, is SECONDARY to the renter's personal auto policy. So now there will be an insurance claim against me for something that was 100% not my fault. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I have rented for years with Turo, some good some bad. The past few times I’ve rented there have been car issues. I was recently on vacation in Orlando with my family. Rented one vehicle. There were mechanical issues with vehicle, returned vehicle no problem. In the meantime was trying to rent another Turo vehicle because we needed a vehicle. Unfortunately with Turo in order to talk with the Host of a vehicle you have to book a vehicle. I found a vehicle, a Dodge Caliber with Matt, to rent. Once I spoke with him he could not accommodate an airport return pickup. So I canceled the vehicle. Apparently I missed the 1 hr cancellation policy by 2 minutes according to my text line on turo but when I disputed with Turo customer support it was 6 minutes. So 6 minutes late Cost me $279 for a vehicle I didn’t use because the host could not accommodate according to my travel needs.

Turo's policy of having to book a vehicle which you are charged for in order to communicate with host of the vehicle to see if they can even accommodate your travel needs is very bad business. Support was very unhelpful, understanding, or accomodating considering the issue I was already having with 1 of their vehicles, trying to get to my hotel and finding another vehicle. They have lost a customer and I will no longer do business with them. Read the fine print on their policy page before renting.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I attempted to rent an SUV to take my daughter to college and when we went to pick up the vehicle the owner was not there. We were instructed to check in and inspect the vehicle the vehicle was dirty and smelled of mildew and pets. But the kicker here is that the car would not even start! it would not turn on. It would not turn over. ZERO battery power. We called the owner and he offered to give us a jump. We declined and have been trying to contact Turo support for over 2 hours now via phone and the green bubble chat even twitter.

This entire company is a scam. BEWARE. DO NOT USE. We are unable to cancel through the app because he had us check in. we uploaded the nasty dirty photos. This is awful. And I'm especially upset because I canceled my Enterprise rental for this. Just went back to Enterprise now they don't have anything available. Stay FAR away from Turo. Who rents a vehicle to someone KNOWING that it wont even start? SMH.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

So far my experience with Turo has been good. I had 3 instances where cancellations were made by negligent hosts, but at the same time I met some amazing hosts. Only complaint is the underage fee (30% for under 25) which is just insanely high. They assume people under 25 are crazy, and its bad for their business too.

My bad experiences: Host pulled a no show and I noticed his plates don’t match his car. Staff was responsive and gave me 50$ credit for the hassle. Host showed up with expired stickers and told me it's “okay”. Again Turo was very responsive, but their booking department failed to find another car for me. 25$ credit then another 50$ after I complained. Host contacted me about issue with car, and was very upfront. He told me he broke the rim on the pothole, and that the car was vibrating at 100+ kph. I appreciated his honesty and made no complaints to Turo.

Otherwise everything is great. They just need to take down the unreasonable 30% under 25 fee, it's just absurd. If anything they should be supporting students by giving them student discounts. I hope they can keep up the good service. I see a lot of bad reviews but it's mostly the hosts’ faults and not Turo corp. Turo also has a number in Canada so I don’t see why others are claiming they have no number!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I paid to get a rental for 5 days which totaled $535. I returned the vehicle early. The fuel tank wasn't completely full. I was given a fee to pay for the gas which I paid as I completely understood. The next day I was given a $75 cleaning fee which is crazy because the car had small amounts of dust on the outside (desert environment). I have no issue paying for a car wash but $75 is a crazy fee. I sent an e-mail to inquire because I was told it was due to a smoke smell in the vehicle and I DO NOT smoke. I didn't receive a reply until the end of the week just informing me it doesn't matter and my fee has been sent to a collection agency. So instead of just talking with me they go 0-100 real quick. I'd suggest NEVER renting through them at all. They continue to tack on fees day after day with zero compassion for the renter. Stick to Hertz or Enterprise, at least they'll let you know you'll be paying too much to rent a vehicle.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Some might have had good experiences with this company but they allow car host (owners) to scam customers. Avoid this company at all cost. We reserved a car that was malfunctioning at pick up. Turo nor the car owner refuses to fix the issue and we had to escalate this to the authorities. Turo does not validate the condition of the owner's vehicles. We were scammed.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I will absolutely never use Turo again. I was charged a "fine" by a renter and was given no opportunity to have it removed by Turo. It was to have the vehicle washed although the rental was for 11 days in rainy weather driven on highways only. I've rented from rental companies dozens of times in Anchorage, AK and the condition it was returned is absolutely 100% common and they would and have never unscrupulously charged the renter extra to have it washed. Shady practice to allow these charges to occur. I contacted the renter and they said it should have been returned fully detailed, really? What other rental company would have the audacity to make such a comment. Also I picked up the vehicle and the windshield had over 12 chips in it and two major cracks of 8 inches or longer across the windshield, making it difficult to see out of the vehicle.

Additionally, the owner would not greet me upon return curbside at the departure terminal as promised. At the last minute they told me to park it in a parking structure, so I had to find parking and then rent a cart to travel the much longer distance to the airport terminal which caused a major delay. Unprofessional and flaky behavior that using Turo subjected me to and adding insult to injury I'm charged extra without my consent and when I called customer service the rep said that's the policy and they can't and wouldn't do any thing to assist removing the extra fees. I'm surprised I wasn't charged for an oil change and new brakes! Also it's always a gamble that you will arrive to your destination and have a rental vehicle, because Turo allows the owner to cancel the rental contract at any time. No trust, safety issues, and shady one-sided policies will cause me to stay away from Turo.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Beware! I used Turo for the first time, and was not aware of the policy to extend time. I requested an extension of time, and to my surprise it was denied. I found out by Turo at the exact time the car was supposed to be returned. Being at least 30 minutes away and needing to stop for gas, I ended up being 45 minutes late. They did not give any warning that the request was denied and charged me $75 for being late. After trying to appeal with their customer service, by the way there is no phone number just an email to talk to, they said they had no record of my original request. After providing PROOF of that request, they still denied it and charged me for it. Zero customer service and poor policy notices.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I just paid $931 for a cheap, dirty unsafe car, because of $3 per mileage x158 miles over the allowed 1000 miles. Why would Turo let this owner charge that much for this bad car??? I have never had an issue with Turo or other car share programs with mileage until now. I did see 1000 miles over 2 weeks. I was not concerned, as it's never been an issue and I was only staying local in the Chicago far west suburbs. If I had seen the $3. per mileage over, I would have gotten a different car, or negotiated ahead of time. It's ludicrous that I am paying DOUBLE for a 2010 dirty vehicle. [Yes the carpet has not been vacuumed or cleaned in some time.]

The other safety concerns were: Bad tires that spun out with the slightest acceleration from a stop light, even in dry payment. Faulty driver's window that would not stay up automatically [this happened 9 days into my trip]. The locks that would not open, when the car was shut off and key removed AND drivers door opened. [This may be Honda issue, but it was not easy with elderly passengers.] Austin has 2 very old, cheap cars [he lives in Marion, IN 200 miles away from Ohare Airport] and he hopes that he can cash in on your mistakes. NEVER TURO EVER.

Original review: July 31, 2018

If I can give them a five 00000 I would. These people are rude and they didn't approve me but I asked why. They told me they don't have to tell me. I have asked 3x for the policy. That will not give it to me. If I were you I would never rent from this place. They seem shady. Go to a big company and please read the reviews.

Original review: July 29, 2018

About a week ago, I started researching the cheapest way to rent a car, I found Turo too reasonably priced and went ahead with booking, entered all information correctly and they cancel my membership and sent me a message stating, "If you think Turo made a mistake," please send a picture of my license, me holding my license, a utility bill in my name, the card I used, and pay stubs. Sent in my documents and they emailed back stating they couldnt accept my membership and failed to give me details. As they “have the right to withhold their review process." It is absurd and stupid.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I am a traveler, the father of an extraordinary family. We are five. We love to try new adventures, we believe in people's kindness and honesty. We are sensitive to the local economy and small businesses and we like to encourage people before businesses. In this state of mind, we decided for our one-month trip to Maui to trust Turo for the rental of our car. Big mistake. All did not go well and I tell you this incredible story. On January 1st, 2018, my little family and I decide to plan a trip to the paradise islands of Hawaii. We plan to travel the 1st to the 31 of July 2018. From the month of January, we decide to book our car with Turo. This is a website that allows car rental between individuals. Turo facilitates this exchange. Six months in advance, we reserve a vehicle. Unfortunately on May 25, 2018, a month before our departure, the owner of the car decides to cancel.

Of course, with Turo, the two stakeholders of the lease are bound by a contract and it is allowed to break it according to the rules of the game. The first risk of failure is here. Since this is an exchange between individuals there are many instabilities and what is likely to happen is that the landlord cancels the contract. A month before our trip we find ourselves without a vehicle. These are things that can happen, but the fact remains that the experience is very disappointing. We are adventurous and optimistic and decide to give a second chance to the runner and try with another person to rent another vehicle. The payment is made, everything seems to go well and the exchanges are cordial. On June 30, the day before we leave, we communicate via Turo with the landlord and explain that the flight will be delayed by a few hours. Instead of 10 o'clock in the morning we will arrive around two o'clock in the afternoon.

We have a confirmation of reading of our message by the landlord. Day of our departure, we are very happy to leave for this new adventure, we clarify a second time our arrival with the landlord and we leave. Arrival at the airport, he comes to pick us up and it is here that the problems arise. While we rented a respectable 2006 minivan, he arrives with a dilapidated vehicle from the 1990s. He explains that since the reservation of our vehicle was for 10 o'clock in the morning and it is 2 pm he canceled the contract and rented the vehicle that was destined to us to someone else. We arrive from an international flight of twelve hours. It is of course impossible to control everything. He offers the old pile of scrap in exchange. We are not afraid and love adventure, we are tempted to accept it. Unfortunately, the vehicle is not yet in its name, the plate transfer is not quite complete yet.

We start to sniff the scam and to settle our dispute we have to call the police. We are in another country, tired of our trip, with three children running out of patience. It's been almost 18 hours since we slept. Fortunately, my spouse is perfectly bilingual and can communicate and we can organize, but imagine the horror if we were in another country with a foreign language. After long hours of discussions, a good dose of adrenaline and stress, we find ourselves, two adults, three children and a mountain of luggage on the side of the street without a vehicle. Here is the story of the beginning of this adventure. If you want my advice, do not leave with Turo. The risks are far too great, there is a good chance that the experience will be too much complicated.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I absolutely do not recommend renting from Turo. The main reason is because the person you are renting the vehicle from can just cancel everything all of a sudden, which can be a huge inconvenience! I tried to rent another vehicle and the owner declined my trip. The note said something about the vehicle needing repairs, yet it was still posted on Turo afterwards. Not everyone rent a vehicle for leisure. Some of us actually have important appointments to get to!

If you rent a vehicle from a typical rental place, yes, you will have to have a credit card, but at the same time, you will not have to worry about them cancelling your reservation!! On top of that, I texted Dan who claimed he would help me and that I could text him. I texted him asking how long it would take for a refund to be completed. After an hour, I did not hear back from him. I tried live chat. After over 50 minutes no one came. At first I was number 24. Then I saw something to click on to resume the chat. Before clicking that I was number 7. After clicking on that, I was number 18! I have never experienced anything like this before.

Original review: July 26, 2018

We tried 3 different times to use Turo and we're unuccessful every time. The first time, we reserved a car and had to wait 30 minutes before we could even try to book again. Once he did not confirm, we tried again and the exact same thing happened. Finally, we booked a car that was guaranteed. We never heard from the person and paid a taxi to go pick up the car at the address that was provided. When we arrived, it was a apartment complex and he was nowhere to be found. He did not answer his text messages and he did not answer his phone calls. Avoid this company at all costs! Very dissatisfied customer.

Original review: July 25, 2018

We rented a Hummer in Hawaii with about 31k miles on it. This was our first Turo experience and were initially excited for the Hummer experience. While driving the Hummer started to overheat. Then the check engine light came on. Shortly after a "SERV TMP" alert came on the dash. So, the car started falling apart. I alerted the host as it's generally encouraged to handle any problems with the host before contacting the service. I messaged the host, and he admitted that he didn't have time in between the last renter and us to get the car serviced. He apologized but didn't offer another car or anything else. We were not told there were problems with the car or else we would not have rented it. Anyway, we blasted the heat in the car even though we were in Hawaii in the middle of July so it's hot AF, but we got by.

I logged into Turo and I see there's a $125 charge for "cleaning fees" on the account and I'm barred from renting another car. The customer service agent said the exterior was dirty. Really, some mud on the outside warranted $100 by Turo's standards is "HEAVY CLEANING - $100 Major stains or residue on seat fabric or other hard-to-clean surfaces." This didn't exist on the car at all.

The host chose this fee to try and make more money, probably to fix all the car problems! At this point I'm mad. I tell Turo that the car was in barely usable condition, and that their terms and conditions require that this be disclosed to renters prior to the trip taking place. They couldn't care less. They just said they'll report it to management and someone will follow up with me. They also said it was up to the renter to report this, and because we "had the car the entire time" it was somehow not an issue. This is BS. God forbid the car break down when we were on one-lane roads alongside a cliff.

Turo clearly doesn't have a checks and balances to see if the fees the hosts want to charge are even warranted, and in their Terms it states the renter has to pay any fees, otherwise they will come after you with Collections. Who knows if the host will even be charged for violating the terms of providing a safe vehicle with all mechanical issues known up front. Turo doesn't care, as long as they get their admin fees as a middleman.

Original review: July 23, 2018

We rented a truck through Turo while vacationing in Oregon. The truck was very dirty inside and out, with severe damage on the passenger door (so much so, that the key could not be used on the passenger door). This was NOT revealed in any of the photos that were posted in the listing. Worse, the truck did not sound right as we drove away from the airport. Within 24 hours, it began to stall. Within 48 hours it completely broke down, leaving us stranded in a town with no other car rentals (also, there were no Uber, Lyft, taxis, etc).

We had to hitchhike to a nearby store. We continuously tried to contact Turo's customer support from the beginning. It has been over a week, and we still haven't been able to get a hold of anyone. All we want is a refund. We paid for 6 days. The 48 hours we had the vehicle were incredibly scary since we had to push it off a busy highway at one point. It's unbelievable that the company will not speak to us. (I just logged onto my Turo account before submitting this review. There were no messages from support. However, I am no longer approved to drive and my account status says that I am unable to rent a vehicle through them!)

Original review: July 23, 2018

I personally will never use Turo again because of the pain and suffering I got from dealing with Turo and the owner of the vehicle I rented from Turo. This person rented me a car that was (filthy with dirt inside and out, with a half tank of gas, and the car had accident damage on the front right fender (on top) from before my reservation. Although those things were problems, the main problems were arose when I brought the car back to him. He refused the car and told me he's pick it up later (in two hours or so... When I refused to agree to wait two hours or more, until he was ready, owner accused me of being unappreciative and ungrateful. Does Turo have an "unappreciative or ungrateful" clause in contract agreed to? If so, I didn't see it. The dirty car and the half tank of gas were problems, but, the return of the car to Adam was unbelievable.

After relaying my story (many times) to people whom I was assured would help me, I received no help... What I got instead was (sometimes).a sympathetic ear and what sounded to me like "yeah, that's right. ".but later in the day I started hearing "but our contract reads, blah, blah, blah." I assert that if Turo didn't vet this collaborator, who lied on many occasions to me, about me and tried to defraud me, it is not my fault. When I sensed something fishy going on, I told Turo about it. On or about 7/14/18 I was told owner Adam ** had filed a damage and towing claim and he didn't even have the car... Because of the fraudulent claims by the owner and lack of investigation by Turo, I didn't have a chance of a fair outcome dealing with Turo, or its collaborator ADAM **.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Rented vehicle & host canceled because they said the brakes are being repaired. Turo says I will not receive my refund for 30 days!!! The car should have never been listed on the site if it was not operable, nor should Turo have taken my money if the car was not operable. The fact that the host contacted me after I had already paid for the service and it was canceled by them, Turo should have refunded my money immediately. If this isn't fraud, I do not know what is????

Original review: July 18, 2018

Accident Claim - It's been 2 weeks since the accident and Turo's involvement is worse than I could imagine. They still can't provide the rental contract!!! I don't even have the energy to list all the problems I have with them.

Original review: July 17, 2018

We rented two cars through Turo for my adult daughter and I. We were traveling with a two year old. One problem after another and the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. We were told that since my daughter made both reservations in her name one would need to transfer and we had to call Turo with hold time approaching 20 minutes. Once we got someone on the phone then they told us to cancel and rebook but suddenly the car price went up 5 times the original amount. On hold again with a Specialist for 25 minutes and still waiting.

To add to this my daughter just renewed her driver's license and has the yellow paper until she gets the new one in the mail and they won’t rent to her so she’s on hold too. They say to avoid the rental counter but that would have been a joy compared to this. Fortunately my granddaughter is being good but she is hungry and tired. Or one person tried to actually help us and instead we just keep holding. This is ridiculous.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Turo - What a great service - I have praised it to everyone I met since my recent trip with my son on his college orientation at the U of O. The Mini Cooper was reasonably priced, about half the price of traditional car rental, and the pick and drop off was super easy too. Two issues, one the app feature that allowed me to track the car on arrival was not available on my iPhone; driver speculated that because the start time was earlier than the actual pick up, I missed my window. Second not being able to change the start time and finish time without fully canceling reservation was not so convenient. Both issues could just be me being not so tech savvy. Net net will use again and tell my friends.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Turo is a great app for the modern traveler which facilities mobility in new cities. In comparison to traditional rental agencies, Turo offers several services like pick up/drop off, communication through the app and convenient exchanges of information and money if need be. The only downfall is the mileage cap so users looking to go extra the mile during vacation should pay close attention to the odometer.

Original review: July 16, 2018

We love Turo and use it over traditional rental cars whenever possible. Turo is generally much cheaper and often much easier and more convenient than using a traditional rental car company. We have used it several times and have not had a problem yet. Highly recommend!

Original review: July 16, 2018

I've already recommended to my friends a bunch of times. It's usually cheaper to rent through Turo than other car rental agencies such as Budget or Avis, and you can get nicer and larger cars. I'll rent a car for a weekend like once or twice a month and Turo is always the first place I look when I'm making plans.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Lexux rental - Everything exceeded my expectations. The owner was very prompt, explained everything, simple pickup and delivery. I thought I chose to deliver the $30 gas fee but he says no, I filled it up. Ritesh is a really nice guy, would rent again.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I rented a Jeep with Melvin on my recent vacation to Kauai. It was great. I would highly recommend Turo to anyone who has not tried it. I have rented cars from several rental car companies in the past and this is much better. The drop off and pick up were much easier. Turo will be my first choice for car rental in the future!

Original review: July 15, 2018

I have been with Turo when they were even called RelayRides! I ABSOLUTELY love this car rental service and anytime I need a rental this is my go to website. I am a big fan and will be using this site as long it is operation!!

Original review: July 15, 2018

From start to finish my experience with Turo was superb. Starting with accommodations from the airport to the Turo pick up lot, to the friendly customer service picking up the car, as well as excellent service from the person renting their car; choosing Turo for a car-rental service was a decision that I would make again.

Turo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Turo is a car rental marketplace for travelers in the United States and Canada who can choose to rent cars from nearby owners. The company was founded in San Francisco in 2009.

• Car pickup or delivery: Most cars booked with Turo can be picked up, but owners may offer delivery service at their discretion.

• Insurance: Turo covers each car with liability insurance up to one million dollars. Extra insurance is available for renters to purchase.

• Security considerations: Cars listed on Turo must meet the company’s roadworthy requirements. Likewise, renters are screened through various profiles to ensure they will take care of their vehicles.

• Turo Valet: Turo Valets are set up at both SFO and LAX airports for travelers to pick up their reserved vehicles as soon as they get off their planes.

• Turo OpenRoad: Turo OpenRoad is a community of people dedicated to policy regarding peer-to-peer car sharing. Consumers can join the community to stay up to date on political regulation and other current issues that affect car sharing.

• Best for: Turo is best for vacationers in the United States and Canada who want to rent a specific car directly from the owner.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Turo Company Information

turo.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business