3.9/5 (485 ratings)

About Turo

With Turo, you can participate in the world’s largest car-sharing network. The company advertises that it has prices that are 35% less than traditional companies and options for drivers under the age of 25. Visit Turo’s website to see all of its available options.

Pros

• Available for 25 and younger
  • Safe pickup
  • Flexible rentals
  • Affordable

Cons

• Limited mileage
  • No one-way trips

Bottom Line

Turo offers flexible and customizable travel through its car-sharing platform. With no one-way trips or unlimited mileage, however, Turo may not be suitable for all travelers.

Top Turo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Verified

Everything happened fast & gracefully. I might stop using the rental car corporate businesses! The owner was flexible. The car was clean. It was a very nice experience for my frie...

Verified

Den was the best host ever. So nice, so helpful. I was worried about using Turo. Not anymore. If there were a sixth star I would give one. He was on Time. Better yet we landed ear...

What is Turo?

Turo is a car-sharing network that offers customers access to rental cars from local hosts. Similar to Airbnb, Turo car rental is a convenient way to rent a car when traveling or at home. The Turo app connects drivers to the type of car they prefer from its selection of more than 800 makes and models and lets users add extra features like car seats.

How does Turo work?

Turo lets you search through multiple options, including the size of vehicle, model and travel dates, to find a vehicle that fits your preferences and travel schedule. Car owners who list their vehicles on the site can set restrictions on mileage and the driver’s minimum age.

After you choose a car, you’ll communicate with the owner to determine the pickup method. Some car owners require a pickup and return location, typically in a public space, while others may deliver to a specific destination for an additional cost.

You can add extras to the service, such as prepaid refuel, car seats, cleaning and more. Turo also offers additional insurance through its app.

Turo fees

Turo states that drivers can save up to 35% on the cost of a rental vehicle with its services. When we searched options in Los Angeles, we saw anything from a 2012 Kia Soul for $20 a day, plus fees, to a 2015 Lamborghini Aventador for $1,485 per day, plus fees.

Many hosts offer discounts for longer rentals. Each ride includes a variety of added fees, including the Turo trip fee ($15 minimum), taxes and a daily fee of $30 or more for young drivers. Extras, like pet fees or detailing, cost anywhere between $1 and $999.

Turo FAQ

How old do you have to be to use Turo?
You have to be at least 18 years old to use Turo, although some car owners may set more strict age restrictions.
Can you make money on Turo?
Yes. Car owners make an average of $500 per month for one car.
Does Turo require a deposit?
Sometimes. Deluxe Class or Super Deluxe Class trips require a security deposit because of the higher cost. Some other U.S. trips may require a deposit as well.
How does insurance work with Turo?
Customers don’t have to have insurance to use Turo, but the company strongly suggests it. If you don’t choose to purchase coverage, you’re responsible for all out-of-pocket expenses. Car owners have the option to purchase insurance through Turo to protect their vehicles.
Is Turo sketchy?
Most renters report a safe and secure experience when using Toro. Some customers report that the car owner did not follow through on the agreement to deliver the vehicle.

Is Turo legit?

Turo offers a wide variety of flexibility and customization to drivers who need to rent a vehicle. For example, because car owners can specify the requirements for rentals, divers younger than 25 may be able to rent with Turo. However, Turo may not be the best option for all travelers — one-way trips aren’t available, and owners typically limit how many miles can be driven.

Turo Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2023

Renting a car was absolutely easy. I literally just went through my app, found something that I was interested in and looked to see if was close to me. The owner made the exchange very quick and simple. She had really good communication with me and I felt reassured about using the car that I had selected. I used it for several days, took care of it, like it was my own, and returned it in the exact spot that I found it. This was much less complicated than renting from one of those national car rental brands that you find at airports. The cost was a third of what I looked at for other car rental agencies. I will definitely be using Turo again in the future. I never knew that this is part of my traveling could be so easy. In short, it was seamless and simple from start to finish.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

My first overall experience with Turo was in one word: ok. Could have easily been exceptional, but due to a glitch on the app or error on my part the difficulty experienced could/should have been avoided. I am referring to my original reservation while staying in Kailua Kona. When searching for cars in the Kailua Kona area, I filtered my choices with $0-$50 delivery fee and then sorted to low prices to high. I found a vehicle that seemed to fit our needs including budget, and booked it. Then after confirming the payment was made, I noticed the vehicle was actually on another island of HI, not the big island of Hawaii where we were. I immediately canceled and still had to pay a fee for canceling (approx. $58). Apparently the app thought I was looking for a car on any island of HI, I was not. So there is my feedback, the auto we ended up with renting was excellent and the owner was super to deal with. Thank you for hearing me out...

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

This review would have been a 5 star except that the host did not supply a charging cable for the electric vehicle and as a result I had to return the car with not a full charge. When I picked the vehicle up he verbally told me that there was a fee of $35 if returned not fully charged, Smoking in car $250 and cleaning fee of $150 if brought back dirty. Then the fee $50 was sent to me for the charging issue. So he did not give me the ability to get charging done at our house and then I was charged more than he instructed me it would be. And to top it off TURO asked for pictures that proved he told me a different price than what I was being charged. As if a picture has the ability to speak.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

This was my first time using Turo to rent a car. From the ease of use on the app, the selection of cars, great price, super convenience and outstanding customer service - Turo was amazing. My family was so excited when I told them that we'd be driving a new Tesla for our upcoming family vacation. To be honest, I was probably the most excited to drive the Tesla.

Two days before our trip, I got a notification from the renter of the Tesla and informed me that he had to cancel due to a family emergency. When I got this news I was at a friend's wedding and went into a little bit of a panic mode. I immediately called Turo customer service. I was greeted by a friendly voice who calmed me down and assured me everything will be ok. And it was. He was able to locate a similar vehicle to the one that was cancelled. The day was saved and I was able to go back and enjoy the wedding.

Once we arrived at out destination I notified the renter and within a few minutes the car arrived right outside the airport baggage claim. I didn't have to take a bus to another location just to wait in line to get a crappy rental car. I got to drive what I wanted with the convenience of the car drop off. Turo will be the way I go to rent cars in the future.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

We had avoidable confusion finding the pick up location of the car due to fundamental errors in the directions. We were advised that the car was located in long-term parking and that there was a shuttle that would take us to that location. However, there were no signs at all in the terminal that directed us to “long term parking”. There were signs directing us to the shuttles for off airport parking but that would have been a mistake. We were finally directed to the air train which is not a shuttle that would take us to the long-term parking.

Finally, long-term parking consisted of two separate buildings, one with the letters A - M and the other N - Z. Our car was located in spot 2-C and we searched the entire second floor and there was no “C”. As it turns out it was in the other building. Again, unnecessarily confusing. Traevon was extremely helpful in resolving our confusion and the car was great but we spent at least a half hour additional time just finding the car. Would highly suggest that the directions for pickup at the airport be modified.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

I have now rented four cars from Turo in Miami FL as of late 2022/early 2023, and I have found the rates to be ridiculously high. It seems a classic case of using current demand to rip people off. The cars cost as much if not more than new cars from top tier rental car companies, yet they are older and in two cases I had mechanical issues, including one where the car broke down and became un-driveable. Turo assured me this is not a usual occurrence, but from what I can tell they are charging lessors very high fees to list cars, which has led to a lower quality of product. The only way they can improve the situation is to stop ripping people off, lower their fees to lessors, and set lower price limits for lessees.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2023

We rented a 2019 Tahoe for our trip in San Diego and it was perfect! Our host made everything so easy. Will definitely use Turo again! Came recommended by a family member and was shocked at how easy and affordable it was.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2023

Great pickup/drop off. Car was clean. Safe and serviced. Perfect for our honeymoon in Vegas. Muhammad was prompt and direct with instructions and we were approved for the car quickly! We enjoyed having the vehicle for getting out of the city. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a rental/car option!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2023

Easy location to get to for pick up. Fast process that went smooth. Very affordable and clean cars. They have various options and I look forward to renting from them in the future. Thank you for your excellent customer service.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2023

We really enjoyed the car! It was super fun to cruise around town in. Alex was such a great host and everything was very easy. He communicated all drop off and pick up instructions very clearly. We will use Alex again when we return.

Turo Company Information