2. Travel
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.10/5
Based on 1,100 ratings submitted in the last year

WHERE LOCAL HOSTS PROVIDE YOU WITH THE PERFECT VEHICLE FOR YOUR NEXT ADVENTURE

Turo is a car sharing marketplace where guests can book any car they want, wherever they want it, from a vibrant community of local hosts across the US, Canada, the UK, and Germany. Guests choose from a totally unique selection of nearby cars, while hosts earn extra money to offset the costs of car ownership.

A pioneer of the sharing economy and travel industry, Turo is a safe, supportive community over 10 million strong with more than 350,000 vehicles listed and over 850 unique makes and models. Whether it’s a truck to help out on moving day, a Mercedes-Benz for a luxurious weekend away, or a classic VW bus for a picture-perfect road trip, Turo lets you book cars that are part of a story, not a fleet.

View More View More

Turo Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I have to begin by saying that I am an IT professional and a car enthusiast, so I use lots of mobile apps (both professionally and personally) and I love to research and drive cars. As such I have a couple of comments on my Turo experiences that reflect both perspectives. Turo Mobil App – I think the app is great, from searching and selecting vehicles to the rental process, getting extras and insurance, check in/check out, recording damage and host communications. The app is very well designed from an end-user experience perspective. Many apps I use are designed to present functions and processes in the way the company sees them which can differ from how end-users what to use them, so well done there. I do have a couple of thoughts that may improve the user experience:

1. Car search – I would like to see a filter selection that allows users to search for cars that are offered through Turo in a selected area regardless of availability within a specific date range. Right now you are only returning cars that can be rented within a specified timeframe (the normal use-case), but I would also like to see a list of all cars and then their availability as a secondary search, in a similar way that hotels show their availability. As an enthusiast this would allow me to make plans that work around the availability of specific vehicles I’m interested in experiencing. Turo is a service that differentiates itself by offering unique vehicles and I think this additional search feature would demonstrate your support of car enthusiasts. Also, the option to show future availability could be offered through the regular search use-case.

2. Car pictures – I’m not sure if you can figure out the quality of quantity of vehicle pictures using AI but many of the hosts post terrible pictures.

Disclosure of Telematic devices – I understand that telematics can provide important data in the case of an accident or vehicle loss, however as you have a policy that requires the host to disclose the use of a webcam I think you should also have a policy that requires the host to disclose the use of a telematics device under the following conditions:

1. If the device is going to provide real-time verbal feedback on driver performance.

2. If data from the device will be used by the host to influence and evaluate the renter's overall rating.

My most recent car rental experience had both of these conditions and it was not disclosed to me at all. I was therefore surprised and very distracted when the device started telling me to ‘go steady’, and that I had received a ‘warning’ and then a ‘penalty’. I had no idea of the conditions or parameters by which the device was determining that my driving performance wasn’t ‘ok’.

After the first rental day I contacted the host through the app who only then disclosed that the vehicle had an active telematics device. The vehicle I rented was a minivan which was full of people and luggage so there was no spirited driving involved. At one point I was accelerating to merge onto a motorway and the telematics device said I had ‘received a penalty’. I’m guessing it believed my acceleration was unsafe or unwarranted, but it obviously didn’t know the context of the road on which I was accelerating. This lack of context omits important information the host needs to correctly evaluate a person’s driving performance. e.g. Perhaps a period of rapid acceleration was to avoid an accident.

In response to my query the host told me my driving was fine and I should just ignore the verbal warnings, however this ruined my otherwise great experience with the car. I think Turo should evaluate its legal position on this topic and specifically on lack of upfront disclosure. E.g. What if a renter is provided a poor rating by a host based on insufficient information from the telematics device that results in limiting their ability to rent future vehicles. I think the lack of upfront disclosure may put Turo on shaky legal ground and perhaps result in a loss a customer. BTW, my host was great in every way and I gave him a 5 star rating. I have recommended several of my friends to Turo and I support your disruption of the car rental industry so I hope you take my feedback as supporting your goals.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

From start to finish my experience renting a car through Turo was extraordinary. Over many years I have rented with probably every auto rental company in the US but nothing even comes close to the Turo experience. Indeed, I initially rented with Turo because the national rental companies were ridiculously high. I did so with great skepticism, but from the moment I started the rental process, my concerns began to diminish. Believe me when I describe to you my experience that I am not a shill for Turo.

The renter I chose (Mo to me, PRC as his rental info) contacted me immediately to establish the time my plane was due to arrive at Logan Airport, where exactly he would meet me and to answer any questions I might have. As I hoped, Mo was waiting for me when I arrived outside my baggage carousel, helped with our luggage, gave me the car keys and said he'd be waiting at the departures level when we returned. The car was spotless inside and out, and the gas tank was full. 20 minutes before our return to the airport I called Mo to confirm exactly where we'd meet him. To my delight, as I pulled in, Mo opened the car door, once again helped with our luggage, shook my hand, thanked me and said goodbye. WOW!! Never have I experienced such service from a car rental company. Needless to say, I am now a confirmed Turo renter and look forward to my next trip and the convenience of using Turo.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Our Turo experience was very good -- just shy of five stars. It was a bit nerve-wracking booking the initial car. The app is good but not 100% intuitive. Also, I kept getting a creeping feeling our host could cancel, since I had no familiarity with the experience in the past. A little more hand-holding would have been nice. The pick up couldn't have been better. Sanjay dropped off the car clean and he was a real pro. I love the idea of taking all those pictures of the car. There were a few tiny scratches I wanted to call out to Sanjay and I wasn't sure they would be picked up on the app -- I didn't want to get dinged for those. But, I also didn't want to be a jerk. So, that's something maybe you guys have to work on.

The car was fun to drive and we were under the mileage -- something I thought we might max out. I kept being nervous about the car getting damaged even though I had Turo coverage. Driving the car just didn't FEEL like driving a rental car -- I felt responsible to Sanjay in a way I wasn't with all my rental cars. This was both good and bad. The updates from Turo were fine, but I never felt like anyone was ACTUALLY there behind the emails. Maybe a call to check in would have been nice, or a personalized text. The auto emails felt like auto emails.

Dropping off the car got me a bit nervous too. There's a SINGLE drop off time -- not a window. At Budget it doesn't matter if I'm a little early or late. Also, since I met and liked Sanjay I wanted to make the car extra clean, so I had to find a local car wash and vacuum stuff not too long before the drop off time. This was a bit stressful too. At the end of the day, Turo did as good or a better job than Budget or Enterprise, and I'm thankful for that.

Original review: July 29, 2019

The wife and I took a long trip around Oregon and Washington in a Turo vehicle supplied by Jay in Portland. We picked the car up on a Sunday afternoon, and ran into an issue with accessing the car. We called Jay and he answered immediately, opening the car for us remotely. Problem solved! After taking the pictures needed for checkout, we headed out to dinner. Noticed right away that the left turn signal was out. Turns out it was full of rainwater and caused the bulb to pop when activated. Stuff happens, so I dropped Jay a text explaining what happened. He got back to me instantly - since I have a mechanical background I offered to replace the bulb, and he told me to upload the receipt on the Turo app. I did, and Jay reimbursed me on Venmo. Easy!

Almost 1500 trouble free miles later, I returned the car to the same street I picked it up. Took the required pictures, texted Jay to tell him the car was back, then caught a ride to the train station. Easy! In summary I was very pleased with my first experience with Turo. Having a sharp and responsive lender in Jay made all the difference. I'll definitely use Turo again when I'm in an area that I can get it. It was very convenient, quite cost effective, and a lot of fun too. Thanks to everyone involved!

Original review: July 25, 2019

The car pick up and delivery was great. Communication with the owner was great. When I reviewed the car I got a note saying I got a 4 out of 5 rating and the owner wanted to charge me $10 because he felt the car on the outside was dirty. I actually had vacuumed out the car because I know I had gotten some pine needles from my shoes in the trunk and on the drives side. I even rinsed the car off at the car wash since I was there to clean the windows form bugs.

To me after driving the car for a week this is normal wear and tear if you will. If the guy wants the value of a $10 car was then he should build it into his rental price. It is his choice to give me a 4 rating but why would I pay the $10 if there is no ability to get a 5. Especially when the dirt on the car is normal wear and tear. It rained two days while I was in Seattle/Port Angeles. I wasn't driving on dirt roads. I didn't whine when he gave me the car at 3/4 of a tank full and I filled it right before the drop off. If I do rent from Turo again I will take photos of the gas gauge, outside and inside of the car, odometer all before and after. I would recommend that to all Turo renters. I also rented an AirBnB and I had none of these issues. I have spent more negative energy on this frustrating part of the rental.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Original review: June 26, 2020

The car was nice & super clean. The host had great service & would respond promptly to any questions I had. Was very pleased. Only rented the car for a day but in that time it perfectly fit my needs for the trip I had taken.

Original review: June 25, 2020

Turo is great because I don’t have to have any hold on my account and can pay with any card. The only thing I wish was different was the young driver age fee. Instead of 26 and up it should be 25 and up. The the car rental places but I do understand these are people personal cars.

Original review: June 25, 2020

I rented out a car, the car within 3 hours the caution sign was on then left. The car was running fine until while I was driving the engine was making knocking noises. I pulled over and the attendant from the shell stop told me the car has a bad oil leak. There was oil all along side the passenger side and back door. I asked the owner to cancel the trip cause the car was getting towed and didn’t want to be stranded. Unfortunately was stranded for 6 hours at a the shell stop. The most uncomfortable, embarrassing, and frustrating experience I’ve ever endured.

Original review: June 25, 2020

My experience was great! Turo is quick and easy to use... If there’s any problems they are fixed in a prompt manner. I’ve been using Turo for a while now and it’s usually pretty smooth. I haven’t ran into too many problems but the issues I’ve had in the past were fixed fast. My last trip was great. No bumps and no issues.

Original review: June 25, 2020

I needed a car last minute and Turo was the greatest! They had the best selection and prices. It was so easy to rent, I’d definitely recommend! I got a great electric car that was like new. No hassle, just a great experience!

Turo author review by ConsumerAffairs

Turo is a car rental marketplace for travelers in the United States and Canada who can choose to rent cars from nearby owners. The company was founded in San Francisco in 2009.

• Car pickup or delivery: Most cars booked with Turo can be picked up, but owners may offer delivery service at their discretion.

• Insurance: Turo covers each car with liability insurance up to one million dollars. Extra insurance is available for renters to purchase.

• Security considerations: Cars listed on Turo must meet the company’s roadworthy requirements. Likewise, renters are screened through various profiles to ensure they will take care of their vehicles.

• Turo Valet: Turo Valets are set up at both SFO and LAX airports for travelers to pick up their reserved vehicles as soon as they get off their planes.

• Turo OpenRoad: Turo OpenRoad is a community of people dedicated to policy regarding peer-to-peer car sharing. Consumers can join the community to stay up to date on political regulation and other current issues that affect car sharing.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team