2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.09/5

With Turo, you can participate in the world’s largest car-sharing network. The company advertises that it has prices that are 35% less than traditional companies and options for drivers under the age of 25. Visit Turo’s website to see all of its available options.

BOTTOM LINE

Turo offers flexible and customizable travel through its car-sharing platform. With no one-way trips or unlimited mileage, however, Turo may not be suitable for all travelers.

PROS

• Available for 25 and younger
  • Safe pickup
  • Flexible rentals
  • Affordable

CONS

• Limited mileage
  • No one-way trips

Top Turo Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Everything happened fast & gracefully. I might stop using the rental car corporate businesses! The owner was flexible. The car was clean. It was a very nice experience for my friends and I. I will most likely use Turo in every state.

Den was the best host ever. So nice, so helpful. I was worried about using Turo. Not anymore. If there were a sixth star I would give one. He was on Time. Better yet we landed early and he picked me up early. No problems dropping me off at the airport. Truly amazing.

What is Turo?

Turo is a car-sharing network that offers customers access to rental cars from local hosts. Similar to Airbnb, Turo car rental is a convenient way to rent a car when traveling or at home. The Turo app connects drivers to the type of car they prefer from its selection of more than 800 makes and models and lets users add extra features like car seats.

How does Turo work?

Turo lets you search through multiple options, including the size of vehicle, model and travel dates, to find a vehicle that fits your preferences and travel schedule. Car owners who list their vehicles on the site can set restrictions on mileage and the driver’s minimum age.

After you choose a car, you’ll communicate with the owner to determine the pickup method. Some car owners require a pickup and return location, typically in a public space, while others may deliver to a specific destination for an additional cost.

You can add extras to the service, such as prepaid refuel, car seats, cleaning and more. Turo also offers additional insurance through its app.

Turo fees

Turo states that drivers can save up to 35% on the cost of a rental vehicle with its services. When we searched options in Los Angeles, we saw anything from a 2012 Kia Soul for $20 a day, plus fees, to a 2015 Lamborghini Aventador for $1,485 per day, plus fees.

Many hosts offer discounts for longer rentals. Each ride includes a variety of added fees, including the Turo trip fee ($15 minimum), taxes and a daily fee of $30 or more for young drivers. Extras, like pet fees or detailing, cost anywhere between $1 and $999.

Turo FAQ

How old do you have to be to use Turo?
You have to be at least 18 years old to use Turo, although some car owners may set more strict age restrictions.
Can you make money on Turo?
Yes. Car owners make an average of $500 per month for one car.
Does Turo require a deposit?
Sometimes. Deluxe Class or Super Deluxe Class trips require a security deposit because of the higher cost. Some other U.S. trips may require a deposit as well.
How does insurance work with Turo?
Customers don’t have to have insurance to use Turo, but the company strongly suggests it. If you don’t choose to purchase coverage, you’re responsible for all out-of-pocket expenses. Car owners have the option to purchase insurance through Turo to protect their vehicles.
Is Turo sketchy?
Most renters report a safe and secure experience when using Toro. Some customers report that the car owner did not follow through on the agreement to deliver the vehicle.

Is Turo legit?

Turo offers a wide variety of flexibility and customization to drivers who need to rent a vehicle. For example, because car owners can specify the requirements for rentals, divers younger than 25 may be able to rent with Turo. However, Turo may not be the best option for all travelers — one-way trips aren’t available, and owners typically limit how many miles can be driven.

Turo Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

My experience with TURO was excellent. The process was easy to follow with the step by step instructions and the host was very helpful as well. Being a first timer I had to figure out how things worked. Lucas explained everything perfectly. Not owning a vehicle myself I was unable to take care of a lot of things that require a car. Things such as laundry (blankets and larger items), grocery shopping (heavy items like kitty litter), visiting friends & family. My niece gave birth to great my nephew the day of return. It was awesome to be able to extend the trip so that I could go to welcome him into the world. I was even able to pick up a friend who had the flu and take him home with me to take care of him. Not to mention the process and price was easier and less expensive that the average rental companies. In short TURO was a blessing. I would most definitely recommend you to anyone.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Turo is a very easy app to use. You swipe through cars, find one you like at a better price than any other rental company.... Only you DONT see what else they charge you until checkout.

•young driver fees (25 and younger)
    •if you get a luxury car/sport car you get a fee for that

•fee to have the car dropped off to you

And a few other fees that are understandable like insurance etc but my 45/day car rental for 4 days turned out to be over $300 and last I checked 45X4=180.... Now on to the car I rented. I land in LA, get my uber ($50) to drive an hour away from LAX to pick up an Audi tt (amazing car for the weekend) except when I get to it it looks like the last renter drove it through the sahara desert. I mean this thing was covered in dust and the seat had trim falling off of it etc. Car was filthy in a nutshell (but at this point I have already signed before I even left Nebraska that I would return the car clean or I get another fee) so I now have to clean this car out. Overall It's a great way to get a better car than your basic airport car rental place but you are going to have some bumps along the way.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

My host communicated effectively and the entire process went off without any issues on his end. One thing I do wish were a little easier is taking photos and uploading them to the app. I was in an area that didn't get great reception so taking the selfie with my ID and uploading it to the app was a little hard. I returned the car at night so me taking photos in the dark wasn't that easy because it was dark and 2 people saw me taking photos of the car and started asking me questions. I thought they were going to call the police on me (with me being a ** person in a gentrified area) so I hurried through it so they would leave me alone and I could leave. There was no damage to the car or anything but having to rush through it made me a little paranoid that I may not have taken good enough photos and captured everything in the event something happened after the drop off.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Everything went smoothly. Found a car I wanted to rent online, booked it, was contacted by the owner, picked up car, drove it around, dropped it off again for the owner, done! But of course, things are always best when things go well, the true rating of a company should be based on how they deal with issues and flows outside the expected case (and how often they occur). Great first impression and experience though. One thing is that I registered with my Canadian driver's license and have recently received my California driver's license. I don't see any way I can upload my new license. It wasn't a problem for me, but I expected the option to be there.

Value-wise... can't be beat. I love all the transparency of costs upfront. I love getting the exact car I want. Whenever I go with the generic car rentals (Budget, Enterprise, whatever) I always get stuck with some terrible car that I hate. Fine for people looking purely to get from point A to point B I guess, but besides transportation, this service is great as a kind of "test drive" of all the different kinds of vehicles I've read about and might consider purchasing in the future.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

We rented a 2018 Honda CRV belonging to Ben ** and it worked out great! We booked the car over 2 months beforehand on Turo’s web app, and checked in with the owner about a week before to make sure we we still on the schedule. Communication and directions from Ben about the car‘s airport location was very clear, and check-in couldn’t have been easier. On Kauai if you rent from the commercial rental fleets you basically get your choice of a Mustang/Camaro convertible, a Wrangler, an econobox or a battleship-sized SUV. But with Turo, you can usually find whatever vehicle you want—and the CRV was perfect.

Unlike the “base level” cars you get from an agency, the Honda was more nicely equipped -including a sunroof! In the back, the owner provided 2 beach chairs, umbrellas and snorkel kits. Finally the price was great! Even with the upgraded “walk away from anything that might happen” insurance, the total cost was better than the lowest commercial agencies for a comparable vehicle. Returning the car was even easier than picking it up - we just parked it at the airport and checked it in on the Turo app. I highly recommend Turo in general and their affiliated owners like Ben in particular!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

The app is easy to use, there was a large inventory of vehicles, the daily prices were great. The additional fees & insurance can add up quickly. However for exotic cars, Turo is the best out there. I highly recommend it.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I’ve had the TURO app for years on my phone but I’ve never actually rented as I travel mainly non-revenue and don’t have the luxury of knowing when/where my trips will take me. But my son and I planned a long weekend so we decided to give it a try. If all the TURO rentals are as easy as ours was, we will be using the service more often. Andres was our “host” and the experience was so smooth. The car was waiting for us when we landed and one of his associates meet us when we returned for our flight. Super clean low mileage car. Significantly more affordable than the local rental agencies’ rates on the weekend we traveled as well. We will using the app again soon! Thanks for a great experience!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I rented a car for 3-4 days on my latest trip to Colorado, and not only we found competitive prices in Turo but there was no waiting time and the transaction was direct. Our host was very kind and the car was in good mechanical conditions. Drop off was extremely easy and overall a nice and professional experience.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

The process was quick and the renter was nice. He was always there with any questions and eager to assist. When we were done with the trip, everything went by so smoothly. Took a few photos, locked the key, and went on my way.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I’ve been using Turo since the very beginning when they were called RelayRides. I’ve used them about 4 times in the past 5 years and 10/10 recommend. Easy to use and great potential for this company. Never had an issue before.

Turo Company Information