Turo

Compare Transportation & Rideshare Apps

Research top Transportation & Rideshare Apps recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had very disappointing and dissatisfactory experience renting with this company, and specifically a car owner named "Shirin" in Las Vegas. I called and learned that he is actually the "husband" of Shirin. I rented a car with this company well before my trip started. It wasn't until I requested a modification to my trip did I learn that the owner was out of town until after my trip and could not fulfill his end of the bargain. Why didn't he cancel my trip before and why did he accept my trip to begin with? Apparently, car owners can cancel your trip up to 3 days before it begins without any penalty! Additionally, customers are under pressure to cancel trips themselves because if they wait, they will not receive their refunds. Caveat emptor!! Especially with Turo!!

When I attempted to extend my rental fee by one day, the owner did not respond in time. This then led to Turo adding an additional "late fee" of $75. Then a day later they told me the owner who had signed off on my return, was now claiming damage to the car and turo was also holding money/my credit card for supposed damage. Crazy, poorly run company. Stay far away.

Turo abandoned me. Like many others on this section, I got a pre-baked email from Turo the day before my trip to Denver that due to "mechanical" (their exact word), they had cancelled my reservation. No plan B to offer, no empathy. Just a cancellation. I had made the reservation 2 months before, so now the only rental options were hundreds of dollars more. When I called customer service (in the Philippines, where Turo is based), the agent was apathetic, and offered no help, just read off a script. I thought this would be like Uber or Lyft for rental cars, and boy I was wrong. They have no ethics. Shame on them. I wonder how many families have been left high and dry by these shady operators.

I did a blunder by putting my car on Turo. The renter damaged my car miles away from my place. First of all Turo support is so pathetic that each time some new customer service officer will pick up the phone and you need to explain him everything again. Then their claim support is horrible. They won't respond. In fact they don't want to pay... I am so disappointed with Turo. Please, please NEVER EVER put your car for rent on Turo.

Renting car from TURO was the worst experience. Their unprofessionalism made them the worst business ever. If I could I would put a zero-0 star rating. They canceled the trip the day before the trip without notifying me. The owner did not respond to any type of communication. We called customer service and none of them spoke English well. They are located in the Philippines. I will never use Turo again. We had to use Enterprise and they were great. USE ENTERPRISE. NEVER USE TURO.

Updated on 06/26/2017: When I talked to them, they said they would contact the owner and call me back, they never called me back. They cancelled the reservation the day before the trip and didn't call me to let me know. When I called them back because I left town already and wondered why they had not called me, the customer service lady told me that she sent me a e-mail cancelled the trip.

I was shocked. How could she didn't let me know to cancel my car rental. She told me that she would call me back to find me another car and she never called me back. I was in a terrible situation the day before the trip with no car. The whole experience was terrible. TURO is a bad business, they need to screen the car owners. Few owners had cancelled the trip a day prior to the trip and repeated the cancellation. Those people still allowed to list their car for rent. I will never use TURO again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

We rented a car from Turo and the owner is Jiwanjot **. Everything was perfect until the day before, when we were hit with a hail storm while in Colorado. We were even contemplating using him again for our next trip. When we returned the car, we immediately showed him the damage to the windshield, and he said, "it is your lucky day, I carry glass coverage on all my cars." When we rented the car, on the application we declined to use Turo's insurance because we were using our own company. We included our policy number and name of the company on our application.

The next thing was, he opened the back door of the car, and said, "did you have the car cleaned." We said "no." We told him, we were going to have the car washed since it was dark blue, it had spots from the rain/hail, but due to the damaged windshield we were afraid to. He said Turo charges $150.00 for having the car cleaned and detailed. My husband said we would not pay that, since we were the only two people in the car, and no one rode in the back seat nor did we eat or drink in the car. He then said, he would have the car cleaned himself and only charge us $50.00. We had no choice but to pay him, as we were in front of his house. My husband paid him the $50.00. We noticed there was mud in the trunk area when we received the car.

Since we have been home, we have been going back and forth with a Turo claims adjuster. We have contacted our insurance company and were told due to the damage being an act of God, we are covered under our comprehensive insurance policy. They have used our credit card information to charge us $500.00 as a downpayment on the damage. Their claims adjuster said, they have a price of $385.00 to replace the windshield and a charge of $25.00 processing fee which they will deduct from the $500.00 that they had charged to our credit card. The balance will be credited back to our credit card. We have contacted our credit card company and are disputing the unauthorized charges.

If you would like solid schedule for you trip turo.com is not an option. First off no guarantee that you actually will have car on date you would like, I got cancelled just hours before my trip started. The rates actually almost the same as in regular rental, I got cheaper rate at the Budget rental with unlimited mileage, while with Turo you have restrictions. So if you would like uncertainty and risk turo.com is choice for you!

Renting car from Turo owner. Cancelled 1 day before trip, Turo did not seem to care at all. Set up another car and rental was to be 309 and they charged me OVER 400 dollars immediately. Turo is a RIPOFF. Stay away.

This company is a scam it seems. I have great credit. No accidents against me and only one claim on my insurance (vandalism). That being said after my application was done I was told I was denied able to rent cars. I call the company and they say, "Oh you cannot talk to them you have to email". I email and generic copy and paste every single ** time. They said they needed a consumer report from me from TransUnion. TransUnion is a credit score place. I ask why you need my credit score over and over and they keep saying they need my consumer report. I finally got the info they needed from TransUnion and sent it to them. It has been 3 weeks now and still no reply back. I have messaged them many times and nothing. What a joke this company is. Oh I cannot rent a car from that site but they say I can rent my car out if I wanted BAHAHAHA. Ya like I would use this crap company ever.

All I can say is wow if I could give a 0 star review I would. We rented weeks in advance for Memorial weekend. I'm with my family, a newborn baby and about 8 bags of luggage. Been stuck here for 2.5 hours by a no show Turo owner. The Turo reps have been completely nonprofessional with this issue. No help. They offered for a measly $30 credit but what the hell will that do if rentals will be $850+ dollars for an SUV at the rental agencies. Moral of the story: DO NOT RENT FROM TURO FOR A VACATION. Nothing is guaranteed with this company. Nor are the owners. We booked a 5 star owner with 40+ reviews and he was a complete no-show. Thanks to Turo I just spent $833.28 at Avis for a last minute rental before MDW. Highly disappointed user. I rent my car on this app and will be sure to never use them again.

This company is a joke and misleading. I've never heard of anyone taking your money (a transaction of agreement) then cancels service without explanation. I created an account, paid and reserved a car only to get a generic email stating it was canceled. No explanation of any sort. I only received an email. My account had a temporary hold on it because my name didn't match my driver's license. My household/family email name shows "mrnmrs **." Not odd to me but I responded with the requested documentation (picture of I'd and short explanation of why) as well as the question of how should I proceed in correcting it.

They respond with a generic email stating my account is under review then a membership decline email. No mention of refunding my money or why I've been declined membership. I have a clean driving record, no accidents or tickets, I have great insurance and good credit! The only explanation I could think of was I have a shared email account with my wife. So I tried to create a membership with my individual email account. They placed a hold on that membership because of shared information with the previous account. I exhausted trying at this point. I was never allowed to speak to a live person even once. I called more than 5x but no option leads to a live representative. It merely a voice message system.

Customer service is not "copy and paste" a generic email that does not answer a person's question. Customer service is not hiding behind a computer and forcing every customer to refer all questions to a FAQ or email and never allow anyone to speak to a live person. Customer service is not responding to an email stating, "we will no longer respond to any more of your emails." even though my questions were never directly answered or money returned! I will make sure everyone I know NEVER considers using Turo. They has no understanding of basic business practices.

It's very easy the vehicle option and it can satisfy to all the customer because as I used the apps it's describe a wonderful. Amazing and I like it. It's also very safe to use. That's the best way that I like. No worries about the price because it's affordable. It's very convenience my family, friends and me like this apps and I will recommend this to my newly friends because it's very easy to use.

Turo was pretty easy to navigate but there were glitches. I didn't like the colors but that could go either way for you. A couple of the menus were a little small to precisely hit with a smaller phone. Pricing was a little less than a taxi service and on par with Uber and its competitors. There were many different vehicles but usually only one or two that I reasonably liked particularly close to my area. There weren't any very weird people driving me around, a couple were a little unfriendly and a few drove a couple miles over the speed limit but that was about it.

Turo is very good app and easy to use. I'm really very happy to have it. No app cant work like it and I have recommend everyone to use it. It is not so much costly like other apps. Everyone can get it. This kind of app is very difficult to get in this price. So everybody download this app and start using it. Its features for vehicle is very helpful. Who does have vehicles should use this apps. I am sure that you will like it. It's really safe. There is no compromise with safety.

This is very useful app. I like it very very much and have no trouble with it. I use it very often because it do the best job. I am very satisfied and I think it is going to get up more popularity. I have not used something like this before and I am glad to support something worthwhile. I think this is good value for money, worth the price I pay, even more. The level of security is also very good. I am going to use it in the future.

Price of this app seems fair to me. Though it is not low price but counting of its benefits, this app worth it. You have to pay a good amount to get a good app like this one. This app’s vehicle options are pretty good too. You can use this app in many ways. It is quick and very much effective. It is not at all harmful. I am using this app for a good long time. It is safer than others. This is the best convenient app to use so far. I am fully satisfied using this app. I am planning to use it in future. Everyone should give a try to this app. You will not be disappointed.

Despite reviews I've seen, I haven't had an issue thus far. The drivers are just normal people looking to make some extra money, it's a community based type of thing. There is a totally unique selection of cars. That gives the user so many options. You can choose a Toyota or a Tesla. You can see pictures of the cars too, and that's helpful. Paying less than $100 a day is pretty nice. It depends on the car though. I would recommend this. I had a good experience, and is way cheaper than a rental agency. It helped me and a group of friends get out of a tight situation one night. We were in desperate need of transportation, and we were lucky someone in the group has this app.

Extremely convenient app to use if you are looking for the best one to download. Highly recommend to everyone that is looking for something in this particular field. Easy to access and load. Pricing is pretty reasonable. This app has a great variety of options relating to vehicles. Their service's safety considerations is the very best and should be considered highly reliable.

The app is confidential as well as very easy to use. In addition, it is very amusing and funny. The pricing of this app is really well fare because of the fact that this app should be very expensive but the company who made it tried to make it cheaper for the people like us. It is assistive and easy to drive because of the speed and its total control of the vehicle and the wheels. I really like it. I'd recommend it to more people as soon as I can because it is safe to use, helpful and whatever they need they will find it in it.

The app's pricing is very fair and good for customers. The best part about it is customers get the best satisfaction. The app's vehicle options are simple to follow and are very useful when applying the usage of the car. The car needs to include this app in order for the vehicle to function more effectively. The convenience is great in order to use the app and includes excellent usage for day to day activities. The app is also is very technologically superior and interesting. The service's safety consideration is important in order for the system to work properly. This is vital for that safety, applies to the operation that is necessary to complete.

The app uses a similar interface as the other apps. The app is simple to use and doesn't take much effort to book a ride and save money. The app pricing isn't that bad, they charge a flat rate along with a mileage rate. It's good to use when having a night out or having to go somewhere with limited parking. Most people use similar vehicles. You can choose different vehicles for extra if you have more people using it. The vehicles are usually in good shape and dependable. Also, the safety of the app is pretty good, but like with everything there is always a chance of danger. You have to try select your driver carefully just so you don't end up with someone sketchy.

The app is very easy to use with navigation. I enjoy exploring the site and getting a feel of what it does overall as an app. It also had a variety of options to choose from. They explain in great detail about the vehicle and prices and they have pictures to give you a visual. It's not exactly cheap or high but sort of in the middle but it's still really good. The app is very safe. They take super precautions to make sure everything is extremely secured and hassle free and they have a lot of security monitors.

Turo made it easier to rent a car with the their app. Even though most of the cars were rented for the holidays, I was still able to rent one. The car wasn't the best I could have got for my money, but it did get me from point a to point b. It was safe enough although the pricing could have been a little more reasonable especially during the holiday seasons. If I had not been in a hurry I might have looked around for a better deal.

It is very convenient to use and easy to operate. It is more informative and more readable so I like it very much and no other app can replace it or reach this purpose. The vehicle options is good but generally it's a little more slumb so it need improvement. Also, the price is a little high but it is acceptable for our normal users. It would be better if it could be a little cheaper. The designer need more attention to improving its service safety since it is more important too now.

Turo is very easy and convenient for use. It leaves a detailed instructions on how to use the app that even a two told can understand, if not, you can very easily read the instructions in pure detail explaining how to. For the vehicle options, try it out for yourself and see if it leaves you with a smile on your face. It also gives you a few different price options to whether pay for one month or one year or five years along with a guarantee of satisfaction and the quality of their services. Moreover they put the s in safety when it comes to information being protected 100% thru their site and if you have any issues bring it to their attention.

Vehicle Logger is the easiest and simplest way to create, share and report vehicle logbooks for mileage, fuel, expenses, and tax purposes. It is very easy to install to the device and operate as you wish. It is very helpful and very interesting app. Very safe for our date and very trustworthy. Also, it is great good value. Can add pricing templates and link these templates to app prices or in-app product prices.

I believe that it was a really great app to use for many things and I would recommend it for so many people. My family uses it most of the time and so do I and my friends but it can be glitchy a lot so you would most likely hate ads and glitches. The price is okay. Maybe if it was free more people would buy it or use it a lot more and it has many uses but always has to cost so much money. Most apps are free or 0.99 dollars which I would like for this. The safety is amazing, great and fabulous. I mean seriously it is so good who wouldn't want any safety not me of course but yeah good app. And most people would love to have safety and be safe on the internet.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Turo is a car rental marketplace for travelers in the United States and Canada who can choose to rent cars from nearby owners. The company was founded in San Francisco in 2009.

• Car pickup or delivery: Most cars booked with Turo can be picked up, but owners may offer delivery service at their discretion.
  • Insurance: Turo covers each car with liability insurance up to one million dollars. Extra insurance is available for renters to purchase.
  • Security considerations: Cars listed on Turo must meet the company’s roadworthy requirements. Likewise, renters are screened through various profiles to ensure they will take care of their vehicles.
  • Turo Valet: Turo Valets are set up at both SFO and LAX airports for travelers to pick up their reserved vehicles as soon as they get off their planes.
  • Turo OpenRoad: Turo OpenRoad is a community of people dedicated to policy regarding peer-to-peer car sharing. Consumers can join the community to stay up to date on political regulation and other current issues that affect car sharing.
  • Best for Turo is best for vacationers in the United States and Canada who want to rent a specific car directly from the owner.

Compare Transportation & Rideshare Apps