2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

4.0/5 (475 ratings)

About Turo

With Turo, you can participate in the world’s largest car-sharing network. The company advertises that it has prices that are 35% less than traditional companies and options for drivers under the age of 25. Visit Turo’s website to see all of its available options.

Pros

• Available for 25 and younger
  • Safe pickup
  • Flexible rentals
  • Affordable

Cons

• Limited mileage
  • No one-way trips

Bottom Line

Turo offers flexible and customizable travel through its car-sharing platform. With no one-way trips or unlimited mileage, however, Turo may not be suitable for all travelers.

Top Turo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everything happened fast & gracefully. I might stop using the rental car corporate businesses! The owner was flexible. The car was clean. It was a very nice experience for my frie...

Verified

Den was the best host ever. So nice, so helpful. I was worried about using Turo. Not anymore. If there were a sixth star I would give one. He was on Time. Better yet we landed ear...

What is Turo?

Turo is a car-sharing network that offers customers access to rental cars from local hosts. Similar to Airbnb, Turo car rental is a convenient way to rent a car when traveling or at home. The Turo app connects drivers to the type of car they prefer from its selection of more than 800 makes and models and lets users add extra features like car seats.

How does Turo work?

Turo lets you search through multiple options, including the size of vehicle, model and travel dates, to find a vehicle that fits your preferences and travel schedule. Car owners who list their vehicles on the site can set restrictions on mileage and the driver’s minimum age.

After you choose a car, you’ll communicate with the owner to determine the pickup method. Some car owners require a pickup and return location, typically in a public space, while others may deliver to a specific destination for an additional cost.

You can add extras to the service, such as prepaid refuel, car seats, cleaning and more. Turo also offers additional insurance through its app.

Turo fees

Turo states that drivers can save up to 35% on the cost of a rental vehicle with its services. When we searched options in Los Angeles, we saw anything from a 2012 Kia Soul for $20 a day, plus fees, to a 2015 Lamborghini Aventador for $1,485 per day, plus fees.

Many hosts offer discounts for longer rentals. Each ride includes a variety of added fees, including the Turo trip fee ($15 minimum), taxes and a daily fee of $30 or more for young drivers. Extras, like pet fees or detailing, cost anywhere between $1 and $999.

Turo FAQ

How old do you have to be to use Turo?
You have to be at least 18 years old to use Turo, although some car owners may set more strict age restrictions.
Can you make money on Turo?
Yes. Car owners make an average of $500 per month for one car.
Does Turo require a deposit?
Sometimes. Deluxe Class or Super Deluxe Class trips require a security deposit because of the higher cost. Some other U.S. trips may require a deposit as well.
How does insurance work with Turo?
Customers don’t have to have insurance to use Turo, but the company strongly suggests it. If you don’t choose to purchase coverage, you’re responsible for all out-of-pocket expenses. Car owners have the option to purchase insurance through Turo to protect their vehicles.
Is Turo sketchy?
Most renters report a safe and secure experience when using Toro. Some customers report that the car owner did not follow through on the agreement to deliver the vehicle.

Is Turo legit?

Turo offers a wide variety of flexibility and customization to drivers who need to rent a vehicle. For example, because car owners can specify the requirements for rentals, divers younger than 25 may be able to rent with Turo. However, Turo may not be the best option for all travelers — one-way trips aren’t available, and owners typically limit how many miles can be driven.

Turo Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Original review: July 11, 2021

My choice came about from necessity—not necessarily because I sought out Turo. I was asked to conduct business in Indiana at the last minute and there were 0 rental cars available. I had the Turo app on my phone for a couple of years and decided to try it. Although it was more expensive than I had budgeted, the car was magnificent and the service wonderful. I had arranged for an airport delivery (something that adds to the price) and the car was at the curb when I walked out the door. It sure beats standing in a rental car line! The car did require premium fuel which added several dollars to my rental costs, but everything was so good about the experience that I was more than happy to pay a little extra. Paul and his mother did a great job in making my trip a success.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I decided to try Turo to avoid all the extra taxes and fees the regular rental companies charge. I booked a Toyota Camry way in advance for around $50 a day. The day I arrived and was supposed to pick it up soon I got a text that said the owner is going to cancel. He messaging me during my flight but I never saw his comments. He said he was having a check engine light issue. All I know is I've landed and I got a text that said he canceled. That put me in a little panic but I got back on turo and found an even better deal for $40 a day. So everything worked out okay but I really could have been messed up. I will probably use turo again but with a little concern.

Original review: April 15, 2021

I reserved a minivan for my family to attend a wedding. It was a great price and room for all. Unfortunately I have the death of a close friend occur right before I left for the wedding and was delayed by a day. Had this been a conventional rental agency I have no doubt that the reservation may have been held but the car not released to my family. Our host however stepped up and made sure all was taken care of. We had had everyone sign up for Turo in advance. All is well that ends well. Can't say enough about the flexibility of our host. This is a great agency. In some markets the prices are almost the same a commercial agencies. But flexibility is the key and you guys are rocking it in the arena.

Original review: April 13, 2021

I had a better experience overall this go round. The vehicle was as described. However, there needs to be something requiring the owners of these vehicles to maintain their vehicles regularly. I didn't know until after the fact that the owner of the vehicle I rented has a history of ignoring vehicle service lights on his car. The light popped on while I was driving as well and his response is just to ignore. The other issue I had, which was an issue last time as well, is that most rental companies provide a full tank of gas when you check a vehicle out. There was only 1/4 tank of gas in the car when I received it - thankfully I didn't have too far to go but I don't think it's a lot to ask for a full tank, especially if the owner is going to expect it to be full when they receive it back (which many of them do).

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Turo is really good and convenient. They response quickly and professionally. They also have really nice cars and very affordable and the hosts are so nice as well. Would recommend Turo to all my friends and family. Although there are some hosts that are not nice because they ask what nationality you're from and if you tell them that you're from this place they will say, "Sorry we rented the car," so yeah maybe Turo needs to let the hosts know not to be racist when renting out their cars to individuals that are wanting to rent cars. If you are looking to rent a car from Turo, and you're in the Big Island of Hawaii search for Ethan Piano’s cars. This host is very friendly and professional. Would recommend renting from Ethan if you visit Kailua Kona Hawaii. Thank you Turo.

Original review: July 21, 2021

4 canceled confirmed bookings and deposit withdrawn.. Now I am inconvenienced waiting to get my $500 deposit for days and no car booked. Very disappointed… Also another car I booked prior with unlimited miles I was charged mileage over 100 miles at $3.99 a mile over .. It was taken from my deposit and after several attempts and one monthly later I still haven’t been refunded.. Renter beware … Terrible experience.. Enterprise Rent A Car has never given me these problems..

Original review: July 20, 2021

Great experience. Easy to set up and I was able to rent a Corvette for the price of you average econo box. Very satisfied and I will definitely use the app again. Depending on location you find just about any vehicle.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Turo is great! I started using the service a few years back, and it has only improved over time. With the app, it's almost foolproof in that I can define my price range, filter results and get exactly what I want to drive, at a price with which I'm comfy. I'm very fortunate in that I typically rent from a Turo All Star Host near me, so I never get stressed, or worry that I can't find a vehicle when I need it. I only use Turo to rent cars, and never really want to see a typical rental counter again!

Original review: July 19, 2021

Just now. Don’t rent from Turo. Don’t rent from Turo. The people who own the cars are open to do whatever they want. On my first rental, I got charged $50 for recharging fee. And because I didn’t take pictures at the end the car owner hit me up for another $500 charge for a bogus scratch. And Turo will not do anything about it. This app is a disaster. Don’t rent from them. You’ll get ripped off.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I have been using the app whenever I travel for some time now. It is extremely convenient as well as saves time and money. I am able to get into nicer cars for the same price as a standard vehicle from the “big guy”.

Turo Company Information