Turo

Compare Transportation & Rideshare Apps

Research top Transportation & Rideshare Apps recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We have rented plenty of times from RelayRides, before they were bought out by Turo. Went to rent a car and there were issues with my account. Contact customer service who say they routinely verify accounts and needed me to send pictures of my face with drivers license, credit card, bill in my name. After going back and forth with getting them everything they needed, then they tell me thank you for the documents, but my account was still being verified.

After sending them all my CC and license info, the communication stopped and I can't get still response. I am very uncomfortable as this seems VERY sketchy. I was needing this car to get back and forth to work and spent 2 days trying and being told this would be straightened out as soon as I sent the info. Now I have work tomorrow and am at square one trying to figure out what to do. Do not use this company. After seeing all the other horror stories, I have a feeling they won't be in business much longer anyway.

The worse car rental experience ever. I rent 2006 minivan for my vacations in Orlando, FL, I got a confirmation that I will get charge $200 for 6-day rental. But they end up charging me $450. To pick up the car was a nightmare, it took me to 2 hours to find the car at the airport parking lot because I was looking for a 2006 Toyota Sienna with specific plate number as described on the vehicle details. The plate number on the vehicle was different than the one I was given, the car year was a 2004 instead of a 2006 and the color also was different. I try to call the car owner but he never answer, so I call Turo customer support and they got in-touch with the car owner. He call me and told me where he had park the car and I respond him, "That wasn't the car that was describe to me on my confirmation vehicle details" which he just respond "if the keys are there that's the car." So I finally got in the car and drove away.

A day later I notice that the car had expired temporary license plate and no insurance. I couldn't believe this company will rent cars to their customers without making sure this vehicles have all the paperwork in order. Do not rent cars from TURO. They don't have control over the vehicles that are rent to their customers, they don't know if the vehicles are fully insured and if they have valid registrations. They don't know if this vehicles are mechanically safe to drive.

I recommend you to rent from a reputable rent a car where you can see and inspect the vehicle before you drive away and if there is an issue someone is there that you can address your concerns, a company that is fully responsible for their vehicles. Vehicles that are insured, have a valid registration and are mechanically safe. Turo you have a lot of work to do to guarantee that all vehicles rented through your company comply with safety and legal documentation.

After having a successful rental, I submitted additional documentation for a following rental of high value. My membership to the service was unexpectedly denied without explanation or verification for the reasoning. They are following emails with me indicated they would not tell me why and finally that my emails would no longer be responded to and their decision was final. This is the first business I've ever dealt with in my entire life that turns away return customers in good standing with no explanation and email correspondence shutting down any conversation!

Everything is great with Turo unless you have a problem of any kind. Since they do nothing to verify the condition of the cars people are allowed to rent out on their site, even with reviews you are never sure of what you are getting. Here are three reasons why you should not rent with this company. 1) No replacement vehicle should something be wrong with the one you rented and not all problems are immediately evident. There was a problem with both cars I rented from Turo but one was more problematic than the other as it made the vehicle unsafe to be driven.

2) The customer service is terrible. They will give you no support and are extremely difficult to reach. Here's the deal, I discovered that the vehicle could not be driven at night because the lights didn't work. So not only could I not go out to dinner that night, I couldn't drive it back from an all day boat trip I had scheduled for the next day. I called Turo to ask what can be done. They said the only thing they could do for me was send a tow truck in the morning for the car. No reimbursement, no replacement assistance. They did tell me they would call me the next day to follow up and put in a request for the vehicle to be picked up the next day by 8 am. The tow truck never showed and they never called.

The thing is after costing me a day of my precious vacation waiting around for a tow truck that never showed because customer service scheduled the pick up of the vehicle for the wrong day, and causing me to lose $200 for a boat trip I had already paid for that day but had to cancel because I now had no way to get to the boat and had to wait around for a tow truck, I was insultingly offered an insincere apology (by email) and a $30 travel credit towards a future rental. They put in the wrong day despite sending me two service texts reminders with the correct day and time on them.

The only follow up they have done is to email me twice to rate my customer service experience. They had even less contact with the owners of the vehicle whose car they were towing. In the end the owners ended up handing over their personal vehicle that they get around in for the rest of my trip (thankfully). Turo assisted us in none of this and nobody has refunded me anything. Not the cost of the time without a car, or for the prepaid boat trip I had to cancel in under 24 hours thus causing me to lost out on a refund. 3) They are not cheaper than traditional car rental companies, in fact they were nearly double and I only rented a 2005 Nissan Frontier with 100,000 miles on it.

There is no advantage to using Turo. You will get cars that you have no way of knowing its true condition. They are liable for nothing and so you will get no real customer support if you need it for any reason. Refunds are near impossible to get and they will not find you a replacement vehicle should something be wrong with the vehicle you rented in good faith. They will offer to reimburse you for up to $50 in cab fare, which in my case wouldn't have even gotten me half way to the boat dock. They save you no money. You're better off with a traditional rental company. Shame on Turo for abusing public trust.

If you are thinking to put your nice car on Turo, then that would be the worst decision you are ever going to make in your life. Turo Insurance policy is a lie, they would nicely promise a lot to deduct that huge chunk of percentage out of your money, but when it comes to cover your damages they find sneaky ways to do that your claim.

I rented out my mini Cooper to Soel Alvins, he returned my car with the scratches on the rim, cigarette burn on the seat and ashes all over the floor, and lot permanent scratch on the dash. I have reported this within 24 hours. I have seen policy required me to do so, but then to deny the claim saying that the renter says he have received the car in this condition although I had pictures to prove it that the car was immaculate when I give it to him but Turo decided not compensate me.

My second 2016 Nissan Rogue car was totaled by a renter. The cars KBB fair value was $18,000 But Turo offer me $3,854.77. Yes I'm not kidding. $3,854.77 was the balance of my finance so Turo offered me to pay my balance of the loan not the value of my car. Their excuse was that my car was in bad condition and was not safe for driving. But guess what the car pass MD state inspection like 2 months ago and the car has 32,867 mile a car that is still under warranty how bad condition could it have been. Turo just using those language to deny your claim. Turo's first attempt is to deny the claim until you fight them.

I hope some lawyer will someday be able to file a massive class action against this fraud. After exhausting of the available revenues are you going back with them, I have finally decided to sue Turo, I am suing them for my damage and all the legal expense out of my pocket, if needed I will spend more hell lot of money in legal fees to at least bring Turo CEO to the court and let a lot of people know about how them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

I tried to sign up for an account and provided everything required (current driver's license - perfect history, valid credit card, FB account). I have an insured vehicle and a clean driving record. I am a "Superhost" rated Airbnb host and client, have Uber and Lyft accounts so I completely understand how these sharing sites should work and operate. I submitted every single thing as required, but have now been told WITHOUT EXPLANATION that my account has been permanently deactivated and I will never be able to rent from or to Turo.

I am shocked at the lack of professionalism and communication from Turo. If you want your business to succeed you should recruit high quality renters and when some mistake or error has occurred Customer Service should respond to it - NOT IGNORE IT. You have lost my business which could be substantial - and I will tell everyone I can to avoid this business. I plan on writing this review in every forum I can find on the internet so that people know how ridiculously awful their business practices and lack of customer "support" is. Imagine if you rented your vehicle through them and had an issue.

I have never seen such a ridiculous customer service care. Turo Car Rental is one of the most UNRELIABLE Car Rental Company! Customer service is horrible, first you cannot reach them on the phone. They make you to text them. And when you text them they make you to email them. And when you email them, there are different emails from different representatives that cause huge confusion and at the end they end up by asking to verify your account and that lead to either cancel your account or limit your options to rent a car.

This company is DISCRIMINATE people and they use in defense: "According to Turo Policy" and "We cannot release details". The company doesn't cover you up if there is accident or any damage. They are finding way to get out of this and excuse why it's on your responsibility no matter what. They are just trying to make money off by using you as either a customer who rent a car from other person or customer who looking to rent your own car to other people. They will make their money once a trip got booked but right there it's over. They don't care about you anymore. If anything happen they will make you go through frustration of emails and at certain point they will blame you to not be qualify according to Turo policy verification team and just block you or ignore you.

Christian ** (Turo Team verification representative) who was handling horribly with no respect my case was Rude and talk to me like he think I'm his friend... At certain point I was asking him to stop to contact me and a minute after my account was deactivated. I was asking why it was Deactivated. His answer was "it's Turo policy. I cannot release any details etc." Turo is waste of time.

I'm a car owner that rent cars through Turo and I'm done. I've had an almost impossible time contacting support and when I finally get through, the people on the other end make Forrest Gump seem like a rocket scientist. My renter was involved in an accident, but thankfully nobody was injured. Turo cancels the next rental that was booked 2 days after the current renter returned the car (it was still drivable) because the next renter probably wouldn't be happy renting a banged up car. Fair enough. But, they didn't notify me they canceled the next rental and more importantly they didn't block the availability on my calendar. You'll never guess what happened next? C'mon... guess!

You're correct! Another renter booked the damaged car! Then I had the pleasure of informing the new renter the news that the car they just rented wasn't available. But wait... this gets better. If I cancel their reservation I'll be charged a fee because I cancelled! Really starting to feel good about Turo right about now... Oh, wait... It gets even better. Then I'm informed by Turo's insurance provider that 2 years prior to listing my car, they have a record of the mileage showing the car had 107k miles on the odometer. Why is this an issue? Because the car must have less than 130k miles when it was listed and they assume we put on more than 23k miles in 2 years so they're denying the claim. They have zero proof the car had over 130k miles when it was listed (it didn't) and now I have to sue them to get them to cover the claim.

If mileage could invalidate insurance coverage, they could easily verify mileage BEFORE accepting the listing. But no, they take 15% of the listing fee from me for insurance and in this case, the renter paid 40% (WTF?) more to have premium insurance added. Then when there is damage, they concoct an excuse to pocket the money and deny the claim. What if my renter had killed someone and there was no coverage? They took the money they made from their shady business practices and used it to build a pretty website to lure in more unsuspecting renters and owners. Just my humble opinion. The choice is yours!

I have rented with Turo over a dozen times and I've been happy with all but two of the cars. I see them as the AirBnB for cars. Some are lower priced excellent values, while others are a bit trashy. I travel a lot for work and for pleasure. When I travel for pleasure rental car companies charge around $50 per day and often charge extra fees so Turo is a good option especially in larger cities like Boston, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Atlanta, where there's more competition.

One of my best rentals was a sporty Mini Cooper S in Los Angeles for $35 per day. Such a crazy low price, and awesome deal for a fun little car. A rental car company would consider it an "exotic" car so they could charge $100/day, so it was a real deal at one third the price. I had a hard time keeping it under 75 mph on the open road. Pickup and drop off at LAX was easy at a parking lot about 1 mile away. The car was spotless, inside and out. I like it so much that I rented a Mini convertible on another trip at $40 per day. It was perfect for driving up the PCH on a sunny day. It didn't matter if the traffic was jammed, the ride was awesome.

I also rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Boston for $30 per day. That was on the other end of the scale. It can "pre dented" and had enough dog hair to knit a winter coat. I arrived at the pickup location and it took the owner half an hour to just come to the door. Then he told me the car had been in a small accident last week, but was drivable and wanted to know if I still wanted to rent it. I was in the middle of the city, needed to get to another location and had little choice but to take the Jeep. The Jeep drove OK, but the doors on the right side were hard to close because the frame had compressed on the passenger side. Inside and outside windows were dirty as well as the entire interior.

So, let's go back to AirBnB, just like Turo, there are good ones and bad ones. My advice is to look a the owner ratings and the number of cars. I've had the best luck with owners that have more than 10 feedbacks at 4.5 or above. If the owner has several cars that's even better because if there's a mechanical issue with one car, it's likely that he'll have another one available. If you're not certain of using Turo, make a backup reservation with a regular rental car company. With most, you can make a reservation without paying any fees, even if you never show up. Give them a try on your next pleasure trip. You may be able to rent something really fun for a low price. If you're not sure about it, have a backup plan. Drive Happy!

This company is a joke. I submitted every single thing they asked for (current driver's license, valid credit card). I live in the state I am trying to rent from (Hawaii) with my own vehicle being insured and a clean driving record. I am a 5 star rated Airbnb host so I completely understand how these sharing sites should work and operate. I literally submitted every single thing in a timely fashion, am told my account has been permanently deactivated and I will never be able to rent from or to Turo. I am offered ABSOLUTELY no reason as to why this might be and told in an automated email that none of my future messages will be read.

This is the first time I have ever taken the time to write a review, that is how horrified I am at the lack of professionalism and communication from Turo. If you want your business to succeed you should be trying to recruit high quality renters which is exactly what you just lost out on- AND OF COURSE I WANT TO MENTION AGAIN- with absolutely no explanation to why my account has been terminated. I plan on writing this review in every forum I can find on the internet so that people know how ridiculously awful their business practices and lack of customer "support" is. Aloha.

Turo has cheated me for 175 usd by charging me late fee, even when I delivered the car 1 hour earlier. The system first accepted my extension but later they charged me for a late drop of vehicle on a different drop off time. My extension was until 23:30 but they made it 20:00 and charged me for a late delivery. I dropped the car at 23:00. Will never use Turo or recommend it to anybody. It is nothing but a group of cheaters. Me being a non American feel like being a victim of fraud.

I had very disappointing and dissatisfactory experience renting with this company, and specifically a car owner named "Shirin" in Las Vegas. I called and learned that he is actually the "husband" of Shirin. I rented a car with this company well before my trip started. It wasn't until I requested a modification to my trip did I learn that the owner was out of town until after my trip and could not fulfill his end of the bargain. Why didn't he cancel my trip before and why did he accept my trip to begin with? Apparently, car owners can cancel your trip up to 3 days before it begins without any penalty! Additionally, customers are under pressure to cancel trips themselves because if they wait, they will not receive their refunds. Caveat emptor!! Especially with Turo!!

When I attempted to extend my rental fee by one day, the owner did not respond in time. This then led to Turo adding an additional "late fee" of $75. Then a day later they told me the owner who had signed off on my return, was now claiming damage to the car and turo was also holding money/my credit card for supposed damage. Crazy, poorly run company. Stay far away.

Turo abandoned me. Like many others on this section, I got a pre-baked email from Turo the day before my trip to Denver that due to "mechanical" (their exact word), they had cancelled my reservation. No plan B to offer, no empathy. Just a cancellation. I had made the reservation 2 months before, so now the only rental options were hundreds of dollars more. When I called customer service (in the Philippines, where Turo is based), the agent was apathetic, and offered no help, just read off a script. I thought this would be like Uber or Lyft for rental cars, and boy I was wrong. They have no ethics. Shame on them. I wonder how many families have been left high and dry by these shady operators.

I did a blunder by putting my car on Turo. The renter damaged my car miles away from my place. First of all Turo support is so pathetic that each time some new customer service officer will pick up the phone and you need to explain him everything again. Then their claim support is horrible. They won't respond. In fact they don't want to pay... I am so disappointed with Turo. Please, please NEVER EVER put your car for rent on Turo.

Renting car from TURO was the worst experience. Their unprofessionalism made them the worst business ever. If I could I would put a zero-0 star rating. They canceled the trip the day before the trip without notifying me. The owner did not respond to any type of communication. We called customer service and none of them spoke English well. They are located in the Philippines. I will never use Turo again. We had to use Enterprise and they were great. USE ENTERPRISE. NEVER USE TURO.

Updated on 06/26/2017: When I talked to them, they said they would contact the owner and call me back, they never called me back. They cancelled the reservation the day before the trip and didn't call me to let me know. When I called them back because I left town already and wondered why they had not called me, the customer service lady told me that she sent me a e-mail cancelled the trip.

I was shocked. How could she didn't let me know to cancel my car rental. She told me that she would call me back to find me another car and she never called me back. I was in a terrible situation the day before the trip with no car. The whole experience was terrible. TURO is a bad business, they need to screen the car owners. Few owners had cancelled the trip a day prior to the trip and repeated the cancellation. Those people still allowed to list their car for rent. I will never use TURO again.

We rented a car from Turo and the owner is Jiwanjot **. Everything was perfect until the day before, when we were hit with a hail storm while in Colorado. We were even contemplating using him again for our next trip. When we returned the car, we immediately showed him the damage to the windshield, and he said, "it is your lucky day, I carry glass coverage on all my cars." When we rented the car, on the application we declined to use Turo's insurance because we were using our own company. We included our policy number and name of the company on our application.

The next thing was, he opened the back door of the car, and said, "did you have the car cleaned." We said "no." We told him, we were going to have the car washed since it was dark blue, it had spots from the rain/hail, but due to the damaged windshield we were afraid to. He said Turo charges $150.00 for having the car cleaned and detailed. My husband said we would not pay that, since we were the only two people in the car, and no one rode in the back seat nor did we eat or drink in the car. He then said, he would have the car cleaned himself and only charge us $50.00. We had no choice but to pay him, as we were in front of his house. My husband paid him the $50.00. We noticed there was mud in the trunk area when we received the car.

Since we have been home, we have been going back and forth with a Turo claims adjuster. We have contacted our insurance company and were told due to the damage being an act of God, we are covered under our comprehensive insurance policy. They have used our credit card information to charge us $500.00 as a downpayment on the damage. Their claims adjuster said, they have a price of $385.00 to replace the windshield and a charge of $25.00 processing fee which they will deduct from the $500.00 that they had charged to our credit card. The balance will be credited back to our credit card. We have contacted our credit card company and are disputing the unauthorized charges.

If you would like solid schedule for you trip turo.com is not an option. First off no guarantee that you actually will have car on date you would like, I got cancelled just hours before my trip started. The rates actually almost the same as in regular rental, I got cheaper rate at the Budget rental with unlimited mileage, while with Turo you have restrictions. So if you would like uncertainty and risk turo.com is choice for you!

Renting car from Turo owner. Cancelled 1 day before trip, Turo did not seem to care at all. Set up another car and rental was to be 309 and they charged me OVER 400 dollars immediately. Turo is a RIPOFF. Stay away.

This company is a scam it seems. I have great credit. No accidents against me and only one claim on my insurance (vandalism). That being said after my application was done I was told I was denied able to rent cars. I call the company and they say, "Oh you cannot talk to them you have to email". I email and generic copy and paste every single ** time. They said they needed a consumer report from me from TransUnion. TransUnion is a credit score place. I ask why you need my credit score over and over and they keep saying they need my consumer report. I finally got the info they needed from TransUnion and sent it to them. It has been 3 weeks now and still no reply back. I have messaged them many times and nothing. What a joke this company is. Oh I cannot rent a car from that site but they say I can rent my car out if I wanted BAHAHAHA. Ya like I would use this crap company ever.

All I can say is wow if I could give a 0 star review I would. We rented weeks in advance for Memorial weekend. I'm with my family, a newborn baby and about 8 bags of luggage. Been stuck here for 2.5 hours by a no show Turo owner. The Turo reps have been completely nonprofessional with this issue. No help. They offered for a measly $30 credit but what the hell will that do if rentals will be $850+ dollars for an SUV at the rental agencies. Moral of the story: DO NOT RENT FROM TURO FOR A VACATION. Nothing is guaranteed with this company. Nor are the owners. We booked a 5 star owner with 40+ reviews and he was a complete no-show. Thanks to Turo I just spent $833.28 at Avis for a last minute rental before MDW. Highly disappointed user. I rent my car on this app and will be sure to never use them again.

This company is a joke and misleading. I've never heard of anyone taking your money (a transaction of agreement) then cancels service without explanation. I created an account, paid and reserved a car only to get a generic email stating it was canceled. No explanation of any sort. I only received an email. My account had a temporary hold on it because my name didn't match my driver's license. My household/family email name shows "mrnmrs **." Not odd to me but I responded with the requested documentation (picture of I'd and short explanation of why) as well as the question of how should I proceed in correcting it.

They respond with a generic email stating my account is under review then a membership decline email. No mention of refunding my money or why I've been declined membership. I have a clean driving record, no accidents or tickets, I have great insurance and good credit! The only explanation I could think of was I have a shared email account with my wife. So I tried to create a membership with my individual email account. They placed a hold on that membership because of shared information with the previous account. I exhausted trying at this point. I was never allowed to speak to a live person even once. I called more than 5x but no option leads to a live representative. It merely a voice message system.

Customer service is not "copy and paste" a generic email that does not answer a person's question. Customer service is not hiding behind a computer and forcing every customer to refer all questions to a FAQ or email and never allow anyone to speak to a live person. Customer service is not responding to an email stating, "we will no longer respond to any more of your emails." even though my questions were never directly answered or money returned! I will make sure everyone I know NEVER considers using Turo. They has no understanding of basic business practices.

It's very easy the vehicle option and it can satisfy to all the customer because as I used the apps it's describe a wonderful. Amazing and I like it. It's also very safe to use. That's the best way that I like. No worries about the price because it's affordable. It's very convenience my family, friends and me like this apps and I will recommend this to my newly friends because it's very easy to use.

Turo was pretty easy to navigate but there were glitches. I didn't like the colors but that could go either way for you. A couple of the menus were a little small to precisely hit with a smaller phone. Pricing was a little less than a taxi service and on par with Uber and its competitors. There were many different vehicles but usually only one or two that I reasonably liked particularly close to my area. There weren't any very weird people driving me around, a couple were a little unfriendly and a few drove a couple miles over the speed limit but that was about it.

Turo is very good app and easy to use. I'm really very happy to have it. No app cant work like it and I have recommend everyone to use it. It is not so much costly like other apps. Everyone can get it. This kind of app is very difficult to get in this price. So everybody download this app and start using it. Its features for vehicle is very helpful. Who does have vehicles should use this apps. I am sure that you will like it. It's really safe. There is no compromise with safety.

This is very useful app. I like it very very much and have no trouble with it. I use it very often because it do the best job. I am very satisfied and I think it is going to get up more popularity. I have not used something like this before and I am glad to support something worthwhile. I think this is good value for money, worth the price I pay, even more. The level of security is also very good. I am going to use it in the future.

Price of this app seems fair to me. Though it is not low price but counting of its benefits, this app worth it. You have to pay a good amount to get a good app like this one. This app’s vehicle options are pretty good too. You can use this app in many ways. It is quick and very much effective. It is not at all harmful. I am using this app for a good long time. It is safer than others. This is the best convenient app to use so far. I am fully satisfied using this app. I am planning to use it in future. Everyone should give a try to this app. You will not be disappointed.

Despite reviews I've seen, I haven't had an issue thus far. The drivers are just normal people looking to make some extra money, it's a community based type of thing. There is a totally unique selection of cars. That gives the user so many options. You can choose a Toyota or a Tesla. You can see pictures of the cars too, and that's helpful. Paying less than $100 a day is pretty nice. It depends on the car though. I would recommend this. I had a good experience, and is way cheaper than a rental agency. It helped me and a group of friends get out of a tight situation one night. We were in desperate need of transportation, and we were lucky someone in the group has this app.

Extremely convenient app to use if you are looking for the best one to download. Highly recommend to everyone that is looking for something in this particular field. Easy to access and load. Pricing is pretty reasonable. This app has a great variety of options relating to vehicles. Their service's safety considerations is the very best and should be considered highly reliable.

The app is confidential as well as very easy to use. In addition, it is very amusing and funny. The pricing of this app is really well fare because of the fact that this app should be very expensive but the company who made it tried to make it cheaper for the people like us. It is assistive and easy to drive because of the speed and its total control of the vehicle and the wheels. I really like it. I'd recommend it to more people as soon as I can because it is safe to use, helpful and whatever they need they will find it in it.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Turo is a car rental marketplace for travelers in the United States and Canada who can choose to rent cars from nearby owners. The company was founded in San Francisco in 2009.

• Car pickup or delivery: Most cars booked with Turo can be picked up, but owners may offer delivery service at their discretion.
  • Insurance: Turo covers each car with liability insurance up to one million dollars. Extra insurance is available for renters to purchase.
  • Security considerations: Cars listed on Turo must meet the company’s roadworthy requirements. Likewise, renters are screened through various profiles to ensure they will take care of their vehicles.
  • Turo Valet: Turo Valets are set up at both SFO and LAX airports for travelers to pick up their reserved vehicles as soon as they get off their planes.
  • Turo OpenRoad: Turo OpenRoad is a community of people dedicated to policy regarding peer-to-peer car sharing. Consumers can join the community to stay up to date on political regulation and other current issues that affect car sharing.
  • Best for Turo is best for vacationers in the United States and Canada who want to rent a specific car directly from the owner.

Compare Transportation & Rideshare Apps