3.8/5 (616 ratings)

About Turo

With Turo, you can participate in the world’s largest car-sharing network. The company advertises that it has prices that are 35% less than traditional companies and options for drivers under the age of 25. Visit Turo’s website to see all of its available options.

Pros

• Available for 25 and younger
  • Safe pickup
  • Flexible rentals
  • Affordable

Cons

• Limited mileage
  • No one-way trips

Bottom Line

Turo offers flexible and customizable travel through its car-sharing platform. With no one-way trips or unlimited mileage, however, Turo may not be suitable for all travelers.

Top Turo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everything happened fast & gracefully. I might stop using the rental car corporate businesses! The owner was flexible. The car was clean. It was a very nice experience for my frie...

Verified

Den was the best host ever. So nice, so helpful. I was worried about using Turo. Not anymore. If there were a sixth star I would give one. He was on Time. Better yet we landed ear...

What is Turo?

Turo is a car-sharing network that offers customers access to rental cars from local hosts. Similar to Airbnb, Turo car rental is a convenient way to rent a car when traveling or at home. The Turo app connects drivers to the type of car they prefer from its selection of more than 800 makes and models and lets users add extra features like car seats.

How does Turo work?

Turo lets you search through multiple options, including the size of vehicle, model and travel dates, to find a vehicle that fits your preferences and travel schedule. Car owners who list their vehicles on the site can set restrictions on mileage and the driver’s minimum age.

After you choose a car, you’ll communicate with the owner to determine the pickup method. Some car owners require a pickup and return location, typically in a public space, while others may deliver to a specific destination for an additional cost.

You can add extras to the service, such as prepaid refuel, car seats, cleaning and more. Turo also offers additional insurance through its app.

Turo fees

Turo states that drivers can save up to 35% on the cost of a rental vehicle with its services. When we searched options in Los Angeles, we saw anything from a 2012 Kia Soul for $20 a day, plus fees, to a 2015 Lamborghini Aventador for $1,485 per day, plus fees.

Many hosts offer discounts for longer rentals. Each ride includes a variety of added fees, including the Turo trip fee ($15 minimum), taxes and a daily fee of $30 or more for young drivers. Extras, like pet fees or detailing, cost anywhere between $1 and $999.

Turo FAQ

How old do you have to be to use Turo?
You have to be at least 18 years old to use Turo, although some car owners may set more strict age restrictions.
Can you make money on Turo?
Yes. Car owners make an average of $500 per month for one car.
Does Turo require a deposit?
Sometimes. Deluxe Class or Super Deluxe Class trips require a security deposit because of the higher cost. Some other U.S. trips may require a deposit as well.
How does insurance work with Turo?
Customers don’t have to have insurance to use Turo, but the company strongly suggests it. If you don’t choose to purchase coverage, you’re responsible for all out-of-pocket expenses. Car owners have the option to purchase insurance through Turo to protect their vehicles.
Is Turo sketchy?
Most renters report a safe and secure experience when using Toro. Some customers report that the car owner did not follow through on the agreement to deliver the vehicle.

Is Turo legit?

Turo offers a wide variety of flexibility and customization to drivers who need to rent a vehicle. For example, because car owners can specify the requirements for rentals, divers younger than 25 may be able to rent with Turo. However, Turo may not be the best option for all travelers — one-way trips aren’t available, and owners typically limit how many miles can be driven.

Turo Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

This was my first time using Turo and at first I was a little unsure. With the rising costs of car rentals from corporations like Enterprise, the cost to rent a luxury car on Turo was comparative to the the price of a standard car through a big chain rental corporation. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and rented a car for my trip to Houston - a flashy little Mercedes. Booking was easy. Couple taps of my finger and the car was mine. Communication between the car owner and myself also super easy and fast. Not once was I left without a response, waiting for answers or felt like I was alone in this process. It was so fast, easy and convenient, and I got a beautiful Mercedes for the same price as a Nissan Maxima from Enterprise. I’ll be using Turo only from now on.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

Ever since I stumbled upon Turo back in 2017, I haven't used any other rental company since. Turo is so convenient, the cars are WAY better, and it's just a seamless process. If Turo could implement some sort of incentive program that would be amazing. I use Turo A LOT and it wasn't until recently (this summer) I received a $100 offer off of my next rental. The random I've spent well over 5K in renting vehicles with a top rating of 5.0 but I don't necessarily feel like I am a valued customer. I also feel like host should be penalized for last minute cancellations. This summer during my August rental, the host cancelled last minute and it was such an inconvenience trying to book another vehicle that could accommodate myself and family. Working with the customer service rep wasn't the greatest and I tried to escalate this to a manager and it just very frustrating. Nonetheless, it hasn't deterred me from using Turo.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

We had a smooth and easy experience renting a TURO car at the Denver airport. The host was extremely quick to reply in all cases, before, during, and after our trip. Our experience was much better than taking the long shuttle ride from the airport to all the offsite traditional car rental companies. We usually rent through Costco (so we can have free additional driver) but this was about half the price and we are both approved drivers. The car was ready and waiting in airport parking with key in a lockbox. Only issue we had was AC did not work well enough for some of the hot days. Host offered our money back for those days (more than generous) and will get it fixed right away. It is also easier to stay off the toll roads from the airport compared to the offsite car rentals. We appreciate TURO service and will be using them again soon.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I've had great experience with Turo in the past and the hosts have been very cooperative for the most part. Few concerns I'd like to point out.

1. Turo used to have a referral program. I used to be able to send friends a link and they would register and when used, they would get a 1st time discount and I would get a $25 credit but that's not available anymore.

2. This happened couple times with one in the past where I was charged for the rental before the host would accept or or cancel and then once they cancelled, I had to wait for few days before the money was returned back into my account. Suggestion. Only charge renter once the host accepts and confirms the rental time requested.

3. I rented a car aug 1st-5th but needed till the 19th and someone else was renting for just 2 days so I had to find another car. Luckily I did and currently renting from Monique and she is awesome. But both of these rental pickups and drop off is over 55 miles away each way from where I'm located. There should be some kind of benefit/service from turo if I'm renting for this long and have to get a ride this far each way for pick up and drop off.

4. Just a thought, it would be great incentive to have a point accruing system for renting through turo so the more trips/days rented, the more points and can get:

Percentage off next rental, Merchandise/gifts claimed, Gift cards/vouchers redeemed, Gas cards.

These are my opinions and concerns. Thanks.

Original review: July 11, 2021

My choice came about from necessity—not necessarily because I sought out Turo. I was asked to conduct business in Indiana at the last minute and there were 0 rental cars available. I had the Turo app on my phone for a couple of years and decided to try it. Although it was more expensive than I had budgeted, the car was magnificent and the service wonderful. I had arranged for an airport delivery (something that adds to the price) and the car was at the curb when I walked out the door. It sure beats standing in a rental car line! The car did require premium fuel which added several dollars to my rental costs, but everything was so good about the experience that I was more than happy to pay a little extra. Paul and his mother did a great job in making my trip a success.

Original review: May 9, 2022

This was a great experience. Betsy and Jon were excellent communicators and I enjoyed visiting with them. The pickup and dropoff was very convenient and they made sure I was comfortable. The car was in great condition and was fun to drive. I will probably rent this vehicle again when I come to Colorado.

Original review: May 9, 2022

When we picked up the car at the airport, the owner did not pay for the parking. We had to pay for the parking or else we would not have been able to remove car from the airline parking space. The car interior was not clean. When we dropped off the car the owner required that we take pictures of the car's location, which we did. But because we were in a hurry to get to our plane. The owner call within 10 minutes of us dropping off the car. He demanded we send in the pictures right away or he would report the car stolen. We did send in the pictures after we made sure we were on time for our flight. We will never use Turo again.

Original review: May 8, 2022

Great experience. No problems and a very enjoyable clean car. I have a new outlook on EV cars now. I will rent from them again. Great couple and very informative. Great range on the Tesla. They walked me through everything I needed to know about Tesla.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Turo is great because it is very easy to use. Simple as that. Easy instructions and well-thought-out layout. Although this is only my second time renting, it is always my go-to for rental vehicles now. I always recut friends and family.

Original review: May 6, 2022

The Bronco was so fun! The Bronco rides much better than I expected. We received numerous compliments on the bronco! The wheel and tires make it look awesome! Everything worked and it was very clean. Vladimir was excellent to work with!

Turo Company Information