1.54/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 11, 2017

56 Turo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I would rate this guy with zero stars if I could. He stole from me over $300 dollars in cost for my belongings. I try to contact Turo and guess what happened? Nothing. If you want to rent a vehicle from someone trustworthy that won't steal from you Aleh is not in the list. I have rented from Turo for a long time, but now any type of people can put their vehicle in here. What happened is that my belongings were in the vehicle and when I dropped it off everything went so fast that my belongings were inside.

I left because I was in a hurry. I saw Aleh cleaning the vehicle while I was waiting for Uber. After 4 hours I call him telling him that in my hurry I left some belongings. I also call Turo the same day. My belongings had a tracker and the last location was at the shop where Aleh works at 7 pm and I drop off the car at 12 pm. Now he is telling me that nothing was found and that he doesn't has clue of it. I would never rent from Turo ever again. We as customers we run away from bad and untrustworthy customer service like this, and I thought because I've been with Turo and they didn't. I guess it's cheaper to pay thieves like this guy than keep honest people with better backgrounds. Oh and just so you know I put 1 star on his profile and guess what? When I submit the rate it said 4 stars and a half.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I had the most unpleasant rental experience the owner of the cheap car I rented that was not worth 34 per day. When I received the vehicle the front driver head light was out which the owner did not even acknowledge. Also the owner did not thoroughly go over the car lights and just was not as thorough as the previous renter I had. The 4th day of having this rental the battery died and this owner is Paul. However in Turo the owner is listed as Louis which is not who I dealt with. Ever I had the unfortunate experience in dealing with Paul her unprofessional aggressive husband. I communicated to him to try to bring the car back early and was asking if he can come pick up the vehicle because I was unable to get someone to pick me up once I dropped off the vehicle. Paul was completely difficult and disrespectful.

I brought the car back later when I had a ride and he was very defensive and stated that the car was have a tank. I stated I thought I had a half a tank when I picked. However I said, "No problem. Let me go to the gas station and fill it up." And he was making negative comments. Then I brought up the fact that the battery died on the car and that it was a day I had a car that I was unable to use because the car is so dated, it didn't even have jump cables and I tried to contact him for him to come either get the car or get the car a jump. He did not respond until 9pm at night. Total ungrateful inconsiderate individual. I dislike how Turo there is no real way to speak to anyone.

I called and got a text stating they were closed. However they said their hours of operation is Mon-Fri 8-4 however their office is closed?? An absolute nightmare I should of just went back to my original renter who is professional and considerate not like this jerk. Turo lacks customer service. There is no one to reach anyone which is a major concern for me. This car is unsatisfactory and not worth 34 per day. It's a ripoff.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

The website is oversaturated with car rental companies so it's not often your car will actually be rented. I rented my car out on Turo for I barely made any money choosing to pay for the highest quality insurance. This insurance is supposed to cover everything. When I received the car back it was filthy, a nail In one tire, another tire was blown and the entire car smelled like **. I sent in before pics, after pics. I proved the Car had been smoked in and used to transport **. I requested a detail cleaning and alignment and one tire. They said yes but after I spent the money to have it done the rep Edith from Turo keeps asking for things she has and unnecessary information, like breakdown a detail cleaning??? They are completely playing games and doing all they can to avoid payout. I highly suggest you think twice on this one.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Dont use Turo, they will rob you, and if you dont pay they will send you to collections. I needed a rental car for 2 days, I paid 130.00. I got to the Denver airport took my pictures and got on the shuttle bus to the airport. Once I passed security and was able to sit and upload the pictures and figure out how to do the checkout on my phone, I did so. Now Turo is trying to charge me $75 dollars for a late check out fee. Mind you, there was poor reception service in the parking lot. And I am not going to wander around the parking lot at 4am in the morning looking for reception while it is freezing cold and snowing to upload the pictures and check out right away. I could not afford to miss my airplane.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

My wife and I have been using Turo for years now. Even before they were Turo and were known by the name of relay rides. We just recently planned a trip to go to Hawai'i to visit my family and when we tried to purchase our rental car, it notified me that my account was deactivated. My wife then tries to book it for us and they deactivated her account as well. We sent email after email and tried calling a ton of times but we would get the same response, "Sorry we cannot disclose the reasons for deactivating your account. You may continue to email us, but we will not respond." I cannot believe that this is how Turo treats their loyal customers. **Do not use this company for your rental car because they will eventually screw you over.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

My husband and I have used Turo for the last 3 years with no problems. We've used them probably 15 times and have had great experiences. We had already booked a car for our upcoming trio and then today got emails to our separate accounts telling us our accounts had been deactivated and they want all our insurance information and pay stubs to reconsider our application.

We called their customer service and were told they couldn't help us and all communication must be done via email. When we asked them via email to explain why our accounts were deactivated they said that it was company policy that they not disclose this information. After reading reviews here we will not be submitting all of our private information as it seems they take this and then still doesn't fix the issue. Super super frustrating as our reserved car was cancelled and now we are forced to pay hundreds of dollars to rent a car because Turo cancelled our accounts within a few weeks of our trip.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Numerous attempts to contact Turo support about a refund but there has been no response. Reserved a car Oct 10th and they charged my card for $250. However, owner canceled but Turo never credited my account. Attempted to contact for over 10 days via phone, email, twitter, facebook but get no response. Previously named Relay Rides and don't think they have anybody handling complaints or support.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I attempted to rent a car thru Turo, for 84 days. The car was listed for a maximum of 9000mi limit. So when I made the initial application to Turo, I specifically specified I wanted unlimited miles, not the 9000 on the webpage. I also specified I wanted, (1) a long-term vehicle (2) a hybrid vehicle (3) A vehicle that was equip with a satnav. I received a confirmation email from Turo, the vehicle I had selected was approved and they gave me a telephone number to contact the owner, saying they would debit my C/C later.

Within one day, my C/C was charged the $3320.40 (even before I could contact the owner). Being that I am in Australia and the owner was in Los Angeles, with a 17 hour difference, it took me a day to contact him. He immediately refused my request for unlimited mileage, and stipulated there would be a charge per mile over the listed 9000mi advertised, and when I said something about a hybrid vehicle, he said the vehicle was not a hybrid, despite what Turo advertised it as! He also informed me to cancel the contract, I would have to contact Turo myself. When I contacted Turo, they told me I have to contact the owner to action the refund. So far, we have been going back and forth, but I haven't received my $3326.40 refund.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Extremely unprofessional and inadequate customer support and service. The car renter/owner is able to cancel the trip for any reason at any time (hours before a trip). These individuals are not obligated to answer any questions or follow-up with any of your concerns; however, they will CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD the second you book the trip. Basically I was left with an approximately $200 charge and no reply to several emails and messages to the driver. When I cancelled they charged a cancellation fee! Thus, the individuals putting up these cars are potentially completely protected, they are not in any way shape or form obligated so as far as I see it is a scam: get a client to pay for a car, ignore their messages/attempts of contact and then collect $15 +/- fee for cancelling within a week/day/hour, etc.

Basically one can make bank by ignoring clients and pocketing fees. I'm most definitely going to have my credit card dispute this fee. Absolutely horrible experience, in order for this idea to work, the renters must be held accountable. I recommend everyone to spend the extra money and go to a professional car rental company.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

So I booked with a friend using Turo in Orlando, Florida because we thought it would be quicker, easier, and cheaper than traditional car rental services. Boy were we wrong. Long story short, we were charged with "damages" that the owner of the vehicle submitted to Turo. We're talking scratches to the clear coat (which I'm still convinced weren't caused by us) and some white scratches on the hood. Regardless, I was an additional $370 once it was all said and done with. Mind you, the damages were only $67 and I was also charged a $150 cleaning fee (which I still don't understand) in addition to other Turo "fees". I will never in my life use this "company" again. I told them that I will make it my personal vendetta and I will literally go out of my way to ensure no one has to go through the ordeal that I am STILL dealing with as of October 13th, 2017 (car was turned on August 29th, 2017).

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I don't usually turn to social media, but after our experience with @Turo this weekend all my friends renting cars need to know how terrible our experience and this app is. When our car that was confirmed as booked turned out to be a no-show, the app wouldn't even let us cancel our trip so we couldn't book another car last minute to replace our no-show. We finally got ahold of the guy who owned the car and he was very flaky, changed his story twice and then he also couldn't cancel the trip on his end via the app.

What makes this experience so disappointing is Turo's customer service. We called four times over the span of the whole weekend and never once got through to a representative. We emailed, we texted, nothing. The app still thinks we have this car we never got. We're still waiting to speak to someone to make sure we don't get charged for this booking and it's been two days. Huge shout to @car2go for saving our weekend. We booked the car for two days and were able to make it home for family holidays. Renters be aware. When you're stuck in a tricky situation in a Turo car, they leave you hanging with no customer service.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My 2012 Chevrolet Volt was totaled by a Turo renter over a month ago and I still don't have the first offer for a settlement from Turo or their designated handler The Littleton Group. Turo's insurance is really only to protect them for liability and not for owners' cars - despite what they claim on the web page. Both of my Turo cars have been damaged from Turo renters and getting an insurance payout from them is next to impossible. Turo seem to have no incentive keep an owner happy after a loss. If you are a Turo owner and choose to rent out your car through Turo, you should get your own commercial insurance and decline Turo's coverage. Or, be ready to write off the car when it gets into an accident. Turo is not going to cover you.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Do NOT use Turo. I rented a car and had to literally stalk the owner for pick-up logistics and was still unable to get ahold of her. Morning of trip, I contacted Turo to inquire about cancellation, had to talk to two different people and finally found out that the owner had taken her car off the website. I was guaranteed a refund of the $50 and it is now 5 days later and don't see the $$$ back in my account. Frustrated beyond belief, I just contacted their customer service to discover their mailbox full. Will never use them again. The $200+ rental car service is the more relaxing way to go.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

In July one of the renter's drove my car for 3 days then he called me saying the engine is broken! After taking it to the mechanic and waiting for Turo to send their appraiser then wait for the result which took them 1 month of not making money and my car is at the mechanic shop. They refused to pay the mechanic invoice which was $2900.00 saying that the engine broke because I didn't took care of my car! Which of course not true as I have all the receipts that shows how I'm doing all the necessary tune ups and the manufacturer recommended services (They didn't ask for them and when I offered to show these receipts they refused to see them). Bottom line I don't recommend them, they are not a BBB accredited and can't be trusted.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

When I tried to cancel my trip on the TURO website, a TRIP FEE appeared. Basically, you have one hour after confirmation (approval) from renter to avoid this hidden fee. Nowhere is this fee explained as a fee for canceling until you press cancel. It is hidden as TRIP FEE in all their fine print. With all the changes to vacation plans; car rental agencies allow you to cancel within a reasonable time. What is reasonable to TURO is one hour. FYI to all people whose plan might change and need to modify their plans. Furthermore, I tried to contact the owner of the car and he did not respond for over a week. I then decided this smells like a SCAM and would eat the TRIP FEE (roughly 10%). Have read too many horror stories about no cars or wrong cars promised from TURO.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Turo is a horrible company. They charged me for a car I never received, the verification department has no direct contact. I've only rented 1 time from them and everything was ok besides the person bringing the car a day late, I tried to rent a car again but they denied due to unexplained reasons. I'm still waiting on my refund for both trips.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

This company has taken the concept of making money off of others cars to another level while dumping the owners of those vehicles along the roadside! No one available in a supervisor role that will ever come to the telephone. Claims resolution is a nightmare! After over 100 rentals of my cars and 3 cars listed; I can never get resolution with one phone call. Recently had a 21 year old renter that booked my BMW and I choose to deny the booking, yet Turo charged me $25 to cancel reservation because I felt uncomfortable with booking, despite calling them to warn that reservation was a fraudulent booking.

Attempted to get resolution and called 3x's and requested supervisor and was told, "SUPERVISORS DO NOT TAKE CALLS!". Was told, "No one can help you!"... The idea that you'd make a profit off of my car and then try to take my power as an owner away is ridiculous. I would warn all owners who care about their cars to avoid this company. It took them 2 months to finally get another one of my vehicles repairs from damages by one of their renters.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

We had one good experience renting from Turo and then a series of bad ones. The major problems. They don't back you up at all if you have issues with an owner, and don't practice ANY quality control over the listings. For example, we booked a car that said it was running well. Owner contacted me and said it was having some problems, so I cancelled it, and was charged a late cancellation fee. In another incident, the owner misrepresented their vehicle, and they cancelled it, but I was still charged a late fee. We tried to get these fees back through Turo but had to get them back through our credit card.

Just today, we discovered that they've deactivated my account and my wife's account. She actually discovered this, and called and talked to someone. They wouldn't give her a reason. She's actually never rented with them, but is listed as a driver on my account. When I tried to log in, my account was deactivated, too. This company is VERY shady. Do not use them.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

We have rented plenty of times from RelayRides, before they were bought out by Turo. Went to rent a car and there were issues with my account. Contact customer service who say they routinely verify accounts and needed me to send pictures of my face with drivers license, credit card, bill in my name. After going back and forth with getting them everything they needed, then they tell me thank you for the documents, but my account was still being verified.

After sending them all my CC and license info, the communication stopped and I can't get still response. I am very uncomfortable as this seems VERY sketchy. I was needing this car to get back and forth to work and spent 2 days trying and being told this would be straightened out as soon as I sent the info. Now I have work tomorrow and am at square one trying to figure out what to do. Do not use this company. After seeing all the other horror stories, I have a feeling they won't be in business much longer anyway.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

The worse car rental experience ever. I rent 2006 minivan for my vacations in Orlando, FL, I got a confirmation that I will get charge $200 for 6-day rental. But they end up charging me $450. To pick up the car was a nightmare, it took me to 2 hours to find the car at the airport parking lot because I was looking for a 2006 Toyota Sienna with specific plate number as described on the vehicle details. The plate number on the vehicle was different than the one I was given, the car year was a 2004 instead of a 2006 and the color also was different. I try to call the car owner but he never answer, so I call Turo customer support and they got in-touch with the car owner. He call me and told me where he had park the car and I respond him, "That wasn't the car that was describe to me on my confirmation vehicle details" which he just respond "if the keys are there that's the car." So I finally got in the car and drove away.

A day later I notice that the car had expired temporary license plate and no insurance. I couldn't believe this company will rent cars to their customers without making sure this vehicles have all the paperwork in order. Do not rent cars from TURO. They don't have control over the vehicles that are rent to their customers, they don't know if the vehicles are fully insured and if they have valid registrations. They don't know if this vehicles are mechanically safe to drive.

I recommend you to rent from a reputable rent a car where you can see and inspect the vehicle before you drive away and if there is an issue someone is there that you can address your concerns, a company that is fully responsible for their vehicles. Vehicles that are insured, have a valid registration and are mechanically safe. Turo you have a lot of work to do to guarantee that all vehicles rented through your company comply with safety and legal documentation.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

After having a successful rental, I submitted additional documentation for a following rental of high value. My membership to the service was unexpectedly denied without explanation or verification for the reasoning. They are following emails with me indicated they would not tell me why and finally that my emails would no longer be responded to and their decision was final. This is the first business I've ever dealt with in my entire life that turns away return customers in good standing with no explanation and email correspondence shutting down any conversation!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Everything is great with Turo unless you have a problem of any kind. Since they do nothing to verify the condition of the cars people are allowed to rent out on their site, even with reviews you are never sure of what you are getting. Here are three reasons why you should not rent with this company. 1) No replacement vehicle should something be wrong with the one you rented and not all problems are immediately evident. There was a problem with both cars I rented from Turo but one was more problematic than the other as it made the vehicle unsafe to be driven.

2) The customer service is terrible. They will give you no support and are extremely difficult to reach. Here's the deal, I discovered that the vehicle could not be driven at night because the lights didn't work. So not only could I not go out to dinner that night, I couldn't drive it back from an all day boat trip I had scheduled for the next day. I called Turo to ask what can be done. They said the only thing they could do for me was send a tow truck in the morning for the car. No reimbursement, no replacement assistance. They did tell me they would call me the next day to follow up and put in a request for the vehicle to be picked up the next day by 8 am. The tow truck never showed and they never called.

The thing is after costing me a day of my precious vacation waiting around for a tow truck that never showed because customer service scheduled the pick up of the vehicle for the wrong day, and causing me to lose $200 for a boat trip I had already paid for that day but had to cancel because I now had no way to get to the boat and had to wait around for a tow truck, I was insultingly offered an insincere apology (by email) and a $30 travel credit towards a future rental. They put in the wrong day despite sending me two service texts reminders with the correct day and time on them.

The only follow up they have done is to email me twice to rate my customer service experience. They had even less contact with the owners of the vehicle whose car they were towing. In the end the owners ended up handing over their personal vehicle that they get around in for the rest of my trip (thankfully). Turo assisted us in none of this and nobody has refunded me anything. Not the cost of the time without a car, or for the prepaid boat trip I had to cancel in under 24 hours thus causing me to lost out on a refund. 3) They are not cheaper than traditional car rental companies, in fact they were nearly double and I only rented a 2005 Nissan Frontier with 100,000 miles on it.

There is no advantage to using Turo. You will get cars that you have no way of knowing its true condition. They are liable for nothing and so you will get no real customer support if you need it for any reason. Refunds are near impossible to get and they will not find you a replacement vehicle should something be wrong with the vehicle you rented in good faith. They will offer to reimburse you for up to $50 in cab fare, which in my case wouldn't have even gotten me half way to the boat dock. They save you no money. You're better off with a traditional rental company. Shame on Turo for abusing public trust.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

If you are thinking to put your nice car on Turo, then that would be the worst decision you are ever going to make in your life. Turo Insurance policy is a lie, they would nicely promise a lot to deduct that huge chunk of percentage out of your money, but when it comes to cover your damages they find sneaky ways to do that your claim.

I rented out my mini Cooper to Soel Alvins, he returned my car with the scratches on the rim, cigarette burn on the seat and ashes all over the floor, and lot permanent scratch on the dash. I have reported this within 24 hours. I have seen policy required me to do so, but then to deny the claim saying that the renter says he have received the car in this condition although I had pictures to prove it that the car was immaculate when I give it to him but Turo decided not compensate me.

My second 2016 Nissan Rogue car was totaled by a renter. The cars KBB fair value was $18,000 But Turo offer me $3,854.77. Yes I'm not kidding. $3,854.77 was the balance of my finance so Turo offered me to pay my balance of the loan not the value of my car. Their excuse was that my car was in bad condition and was not safe for driving. But guess what the car pass MD state inspection like 2 months ago and the car has 32,867 mile a car that is still under warranty how bad condition could it have been. Turo just using those language to deny your claim. Turo's first attempt is to deny the claim until you fight them.

I hope some lawyer will someday be able to file a massive class action against this fraud. After exhausting of the available revenues are you going back with them, I have finally decided to sue Turo, I am suing them for my damage and all the legal expense out of my pocket, if needed I will spend more hell lot of money in legal fees to at least bring Turo CEO to the court and let a lot of people know about how them.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I tried to sign up for an account and provided everything required (current driver's license - perfect history, valid credit card, FB account). I have an insured vehicle and a clean driving record. I am a "Superhost" rated Airbnb host and client, have Uber and Lyft accounts so I completely understand how these sharing sites should work and operate. I submitted every single thing as required, but have now been told WITHOUT EXPLANATION that my account has been permanently deactivated and I will never be able to rent from or to Turo.

I am shocked at the lack of professionalism and communication from Turo. If you want your business to succeed you should recruit high quality renters and when some mistake or error has occurred Customer Service should respond to it - NOT IGNORE IT. You have lost my business which could be substantial - and I will tell everyone I can to avoid this business. I plan on writing this review in every forum I can find on the internet so that people know how ridiculously awful their business practices and lack of customer "support" is. Imagine if you rented your vehicle through them and had an issue.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I have never seen such a ridiculous customer service care. Turo Car Rental is one of the most UNRELIABLE Car Rental Company! Customer service is horrible, first you cannot reach them on the phone. They make you to text them. And when you text them they make you to email them. And when you email them, there are different emails from different representatives that cause huge confusion and at the end they end up by asking to verify your account and that lead to either cancel your account or limit your options to rent a car.

This company is DISCRIMINATE people and they use in defense: "According to Turo Policy" and "We cannot release details". The company doesn't cover you up if there is accident or any damage. They are finding way to get out of this and excuse why it's on your responsibility no matter what. They are just trying to make money off by using you as either a customer who rent a car from other person or customer who looking to rent your own car to other people. They will make their money once a trip got booked but right there it's over. They don't care about you anymore. If anything happen they will make you go through frustration of emails and at certain point they will blame you to not be qualify according to Turo policy verification team and just block you or ignore you.

Christian ** (Turo Team verification representative) who was handling horribly with no respect my case was Rude and talk to me like he think I'm his friend... At certain point I was asking him to stop to contact me and a minute after my account was deactivated. I was asking why it was Deactivated. His answer was "it's Turo policy. I cannot release any details etc." Turo is waste of time.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I'm a car owner that rent cars through Turo and I'm done. I've had an almost impossible time contacting support and when I finally get through, the people on the other end make Forrest Gump seem like a rocket scientist. My renter was involved in an accident, but thankfully nobody was injured. Turo cancels the next rental that was booked 2 days after the current renter returned the car (it was still drivable) because the next renter probably wouldn't be happy renting a banged up car. Fair enough. But, they didn't notify me they canceled the next rental and more importantly they didn't block the availability on my calendar. You'll never guess what happened next? C'mon... guess!

You're correct! Another renter booked the damaged car! Then I had the pleasure of informing the new renter the news that the car they just rented wasn't available. But wait... this gets better. If I cancel their reservation I'll be charged a fee because I cancelled! Really starting to feel good about Turo right about now... Oh, wait... It gets even better. Then I'm informed by Turo's insurance provider that 2 years prior to listing my car, they have a record of the mileage showing the car had 107k miles on the odometer. Why is this an issue? Because the car must have less than 130k miles when it was listed and they assume we put on more than 23k miles in 2 years so they're denying the claim. They have zero proof the car had over 130k miles when it was listed (it didn't) and now I have to sue them to get them to cover the claim.

If mileage could invalidate insurance coverage, they could easily verify mileage BEFORE accepting the listing. But no, they take 15% of the listing fee from me for insurance and in this case, the renter paid 40% (WTF?) more to have premium insurance added. Then when there is damage, they concoct an excuse to pocket the money and deny the claim. What if my renter had killed someone and there was no coverage? They took the money they made from their shady business practices and used it to build a pretty website to lure in more unsuspecting renters and owners. Just my humble opinion. The choice is yours!

Original review: July 29, 2017

I have rented with Turo over a dozen times and I've been happy with all but two of the cars. I see them as the AirBnB for cars. Some are lower priced excellent values, while others are a bit trashy. I travel a lot for work and for pleasure. When I travel for pleasure rental car companies charge around $50 per day and often charge extra fees so Turo is a good option especially in larger cities like Boston, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Atlanta, where there's more competition.

One of my best rentals was a sporty Mini Cooper S in Los Angeles for $35 per day. Such a crazy low price, and awesome deal for a fun little car. A rental car company would consider it an "exotic" car so they could charge $100/day, so it was a real deal at one third the price. I had a hard time keeping it under 75 mph on the open road. Pickup and drop off at LAX was easy at a parking lot about 1 mile away. The car was spotless, inside and out. I like it so much that I rented a Mini convertible on another trip at $40 per day. It was perfect for driving up the PCH on a sunny day. It didn't matter if the traffic was jammed, the ride was awesome.

I also rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Boston for $30 per day. That was on the other end of the scale. It can "pre dented" and had enough dog hair to knit a winter coat. I arrived at the pickup location and it took the owner half an hour to just come to the door. Then he told me the car had been in a small accident last week, but was drivable and wanted to know if I still wanted to rent it. I was in the middle of the city, needed to get to another location and had little choice but to take the Jeep. The Jeep drove OK, but the doors on the right side were hard to close because the frame had compressed on the passenger side. Inside and outside windows were dirty as well as the entire interior.

So, let's go back to AirBnB, just like Turo, there are good ones and bad ones. My advice is to look a the owner ratings and the number of cars. I've had the best luck with owners that have more than 10 feedbacks at 4.5 or above. If the owner has several cars that's even better because if there's a mechanical issue with one car, it's likely that he'll have another one available. If you're not certain of using Turo, make a backup reservation with a regular rental car company. With most, you can make a reservation without paying any fees, even if you never show up. Give them a try on your next pleasure trip. You may be able to rent something really fun for a low price. If you're not sure about it, have a backup plan. Drive Happy!

Original review: July 18, 2017

This company is a joke. I submitted every single thing they asked for (current driver's license, valid credit card). I live in the state I am trying to rent from (Hawaii) with my own vehicle being insured and a clean driving record. I am a 5 star rated Airbnb host so I completely understand how these sharing sites should work and operate. I literally submitted every single thing in a timely fashion, am told my account has been permanently deactivated and I will never be able to rent from or to Turo. I am offered ABSOLUTELY no reason as to why this might be and told in an automated email that none of my future messages will be read.

This is the first time I have ever taken the time to write a review, that is how horrified I am at the lack of professionalism and communication from Turo. If you want your business to succeed you should be trying to recruit high quality renters which is exactly what you just lost out on- AND OF COURSE I WANT TO MENTION AGAIN- with absolutely no explanation to why my account has been terminated. I plan on writing this review in every forum I can find on the internet so that people know how ridiculously awful their business practices and lack of customer "support" is. Aloha.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Turo has cheated me for 175 usd by charging me late fee, even when I delivered the car 1 hour earlier. The system first accepted my extension but later they charged me for a late drop of vehicle on a different drop off time. My extension was until 23:30 but they made it 20:00 and charged me for a late delivery. I dropped the car at 23:00. Will never use Turo or recommend it to anybody. It is nothing but a group of cheaters. Me being a non American feel like being a victim of fraud.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I had very disappointing and dissatisfactory experience renting with this company, and specifically a car owner named "Shirin" in Las Vegas. I called and learned that he is actually the "husband" of Shirin. I rented a car with this company well before my trip started. It wasn't until I requested a modification to my trip did I learn that the owner was out of town until after my trip and could not fulfill his end of the bargain. Why didn't he cancel my trip before and why did he accept my trip to begin with? Apparently, car owners can cancel your trip up to 3 days before it begins without any penalty! Additionally, customers are under pressure to cancel trips themselves because if they wait, they will not receive their refunds. Caveat emptor!! Especially with Turo!!

Turo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Turo is a car rental marketplace for travelers in the United States and Canada who can choose to rent cars from nearby owners. The company was founded in San Francisco in 2009.

• Car pickup or delivery: Most cars booked with Turo can be picked up, but owners may offer delivery service at their discretion.

• Insurance: Turo covers each car with liability insurance up to one million dollars. Extra insurance is available for renters to purchase.

• Security considerations: Cars listed on Turo must meet the company‚Äôs roadworthy requirements. Likewise, renters are screened through various profiles to ensure they will take care of their vehicles.

• Turo Valet: Turo Valets are set up at both SFO and LAX airports for travelers to pick up their reserved vehicles as soon as they get off their planes.

• Turo OpenRoad: Turo OpenRoad is a community of people dedicated to policy regarding peer-to-peer car sharing. Consumers can join the community to stay up to date on political regulation and other current issues that affect car sharing.

• Best for: Turo is best for vacationers in the United States and Canada who want to rent a specific car directly from the owner.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs