3.8/5 (506 ratings)

About Turo

With Turo, you can participate in the world’s largest car-sharing network. The company advertises that it has prices that are 35% less than traditional companies and options for drivers under the age of 25. Visit Turo’s website to see all of its available options.

Pros

• Available for 25 and younger
  • Safe pickup
  • Flexible rentals
  • Affordable

Cons

• Limited mileage
  • No one-way trips

Bottom Line

Turo offers flexible and customizable travel through its car-sharing platform. With no one-way trips or unlimited mileage, however, Turo may not be suitable for all travelers.

Top Turo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everything happened fast & gracefully. I might stop using the rental car corporate businesses! The owner was flexible. The car was clean. It was a very nice experience for my frie...

Verified

Den was the best host ever. So nice, so helpful. I was worried about using Turo. Not anymore. If there were a sixth star I would give one. He was on Time. Better yet we landed ear...

What is Turo?

Turo is a car-sharing network that offers customers access to rental cars from local hosts. Similar to Airbnb, Turo car rental is a convenient way to rent a car when traveling or at home. The Turo app connects drivers to the type of car they prefer from its selection of more than 800 makes and models and lets users add extra features like car seats.

How does Turo work?

Turo lets you search through multiple options, including the size of vehicle, model and travel dates, to find a vehicle that fits your preferences and travel schedule. Car owners who list their vehicles on the site can set restrictions on mileage and the driver’s minimum age.

After you choose a car, you’ll communicate with the owner to determine the pickup method. Some car owners require a pickup and return location, typically in a public space, while others may deliver to a specific destination for an additional cost.

You can add extras to the service, such as prepaid refuel, car seats, cleaning and more. Turo also offers additional insurance through its app.

Turo fees

Turo states that drivers can save up to 35% on the cost of a rental vehicle with its services. When we searched options in Los Angeles, we saw anything from a 2012 Kia Soul for $20 a day, plus fees, to a 2015 Lamborghini Aventador for $1,485 per day, plus fees.

Many hosts offer discounts for longer rentals. Each ride includes a variety of added fees, including the Turo trip fee ($15 minimum), taxes and a daily fee of $30 or more for young drivers. Extras, like pet fees or detailing, cost anywhere between $1 and $999.

Turo FAQ

How old do you have to be to use Turo?
You have to be at least 18 years old to use Turo, although some car owners may set more strict age restrictions.
Can you make money on Turo?
Yes. Car owners make an average of $500 per month for one car.
Does Turo require a deposit?
Sometimes. Deluxe Class or Super Deluxe Class trips require a security deposit because of the higher cost. Some other U.S. trips may require a deposit as well.
How does insurance work with Turo?
Customers don’t have to have insurance to use Turo, but the company strongly suggests it. If you don’t choose to purchase coverage, you’re responsible for all out-of-pocket expenses. Car owners have the option to purchase insurance through Turo to protect their vehicles.
Is Turo sketchy?
Most renters report a safe and secure experience when using Toro. Some customers report that the car owner did not follow through on the agreement to deliver the vehicle.

Is Turo legit?

Turo offers a wide variety of flexibility and customization to drivers who need to rent a vehicle. For example, because car owners can specify the requirements for rentals, divers younger than 25 may be able to rent with Turo. However, Turo may not be the best option for all travelers — one-way trips aren’t available, and owners typically limit how many miles can be driven.

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

This review would have been a 5 star except that the host did not supply a charging cable for the electric vehicle and as a result I had to return the car with not a full charge. When I picked the vehicle up he verbally told me that there was a fee of $35 if returned not fully charged, Smoking in car $250 and cleaning fee of $150 if brought back dirty. Then the fee $50 was sent to me for the charging issue. So he did not give me the ability to get charging done at our house and then I was charged more than he instructed me it would be. And to top it off TURO asked for pictures that proved he told me a different price than what I was being charged. As if a picture has the ability to speak.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

This was my first time using Turo to rent a car. From the ease of use on the app, the selection of cars, great price, super convenience and outstanding customer service - Turo was amazing. My family was so excited when I told them that we'd be driving a new Tesla for our upcoming family vacation. To be honest, I was probably the most excited to drive the Tesla.

Two days before our trip, I got a notification from the renter of the Tesla and informed me that he had to cancel due to a family emergency. When I got this news I was at a friend's wedding and went into a little bit of a panic mode. I immediately called Turo customer service. I was greeted by a friendly voice who calmed me down and assured me everything will be ok. And it was. He was able to locate a similar vehicle to the one that was cancelled. The day was saved and I was able to go back and enjoy the wedding.

Once we arrived at out destination I notified the renter and within a few minutes the car arrived right outside the airport baggage claim. I didn't have to take a bus to another location just to wait in line to get a crappy rental car. I got to drive what I wanted with the convenience of the car drop off. Turo will be the way I go to rent cars in the future.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

We had avoidable confusion finding the pick up location of the car due to fundamental errors in the directions. We were advised that the car was located in long-term parking and that there was a shuttle that would take us to that location. However, there were no signs at all in the terminal that directed us to “long term parking”. There were signs directing us to the shuttles for off airport parking but that would have been a mistake. We were finally directed to the air train which is not a shuttle that would take us to the long-term parking.

Finally, long-term parking consisted of two separate buildings, one with the letters A - M and the other N - Z. Our car was located in spot 2-C and we searched the entire second floor and there was no “C”. As it turns out it was in the other building. Again, unnecessarily confusing. Traevon was extremely helpful in resolving our confusion and the car was great but we spent at least a half hour additional time just finding the car. Would highly suggest that the directions for pickup at the airport be modified.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

This was my first time using Turo and at first I was a little unsure. With the rising costs of car rentals from corporations like Enterprise, the cost to rent a luxury car on Turo was comparative to the the price of a standard car through a big chain rental corporation. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and rented a car for my trip to Houston - a flashy little Mercedes. Booking was easy. Couple taps of my finger and the car was mine. Communication between the car owner and myself also super easy and fast. Not once was I left without a response, waiting for answers or felt like I was alone in this process. It was so fast, easy and convenient, and I got a beautiful Mercedes for the same price as a Nissan Maxima from Enterprise. I’ll be using Turo only from now on.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

Ever since I stumbled upon Turo back in 2017, I haven't used any other rental company since. Turo is so convenient, the cars are WAY better, and it's just a seamless process. If Turo could implement some sort of incentive program that would be amazing. I use Turo A LOT and it wasn't until recently (this summer) I received a $100 offer off of my next rental. The random I've spent well over 5K in renting vehicles with a top rating of 5.0 but I don't necessarily feel like I am a valued customer. I also feel like host should be penalized for last minute cancellations. This summer during my August rental, the host cancelled last minute and it was such an inconvenience trying to book another vehicle that could accommodate myself and family. Working with the customer service rep wasn't the greatest and I tried to escalate this to a manager and it just very frustrating. Nonetheless, it hasn't deterred me from using Turo.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

When trying to book a rental, the initial cost listed does NOT reflect the final price. I was able to book a vehicle 4 months in advance but when I tried to find a better deal; from another person, the prices kept on going higher and higher. I found a Prius that was cheaper but when I tried to book it, the daily rate had gone from $29,00 to $61.00 for the same car and dates. Apparently, the company has automatic programming that raises the price of the majority of cars listed once you book a vehicle.

Fortunately, one of the agents gave me the phone number of the renter and I was finally able to contact him. I was hoping that he would help me rent one of his vehicles. Instead, he was one of the most rude people that I have ever conversed with in my 72 years. Not only did he accuse me of lying about my age, but inferred that I was some sort of troll. He ended the conversation by hanging up on me. Fortunately, I was able to rent a reasonably priced vehicle, but it was extremely stressful and took almost two hours and multiple calls. I would suggest that if you are traveling with a friend that you set up separate accounts

so that you can search for the best price for your trip.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Process was smooth. Just like I was renting from a regular car rental company. Communication with host was excellent. Pick up and drop off was also very easy with the chance to do so at the airport for a separate fee. You might not get a brand new car but for the purpose of moving around the city and beyond, it worked perfectly for me and my family.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Very good experience. Would definitely be doing again. Everything was on point. Car rode very well and host was great. I will let friends and family know about the great service that I received. Can’t wait to rent again. Thanks for everything making it easy.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I really enjoy using Turo compared to regular rental car companies. Every rental experience I've had in the last several years has been exceptional and I highly recommend the service to anyone. A lot of people have a lot of nice cars out there and I appreciate being able to drive them.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Very reasonably disputed the convenience charge on the refuel and have not been able to speak with anyone about. Only spotty chats and desicions by email. A conversation with a human in real time (and better with decision making ability) was absolutely non existent and frustrating.

Turo Company Information