4.34/5
Based on 2,041 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

WHERE LOCAL HOSTS PROVIDE YOU WITH THE PERFECT VEHICLE FOR YOUR NEXT ADVENTURE

Turo is a car sharing marketplace where guests can book any car they want, wherever they want it, from a vibrant community of local hosts across the US, Canada, the UK, and Germany. Guests choose from a totally unique selection of nearby cars, while hosts earn extra money to offset the costs of car ownership.

A pioneer of the sharing economy and travel industry, Turo is a safe, supportive community over 10 million strong with more than 350,000 vehicles listed and over 850 unique makes and models. Whether it’s a truck to help out on moving day, a Mercedes-Benz for a luxurious weekend away, or a classic VW bus for a picture-perfect road trip, Turo lets you book cars that are part of a story, not a fleet.

View More View More

Turo Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I have to begin by saying that I am an IT professional and a car enthusiast, so I use lots of mobile apps (both professionally and personally) and I love to research and drive cars. As such I have a couple of comments on my Turo experiences that reflect both perspectives. Turo Mobil App – I think the app is great, from searching and selecting vehicles to the rental process, getting extras and insurance, check in/check out, recording damage and host communications. The app is very well designed from an end-user experience perspective. Many apps I use are designed to present functions and processes in the way the company sees them which can differ from how end-users what to use them, so well done there. I do have a couple of thoughts that may improve the user experience:

1. Car search – I would like to see a filter selection that allows users to search for cars that are offered through Turo in a selected area regardless of availability within a specific date range. Right now you are only returning cars that can be rented within a specified timeframe (the normal use-case), but I would also like to see a list of all cars and then their availability as a secondary search, in a similar way that hotels show their availability. As an enthusiast this would allow me to make plans that work around the availability of specific vehicles I’m interested in experiencing. Turo is a service that differentiates itself by offering unique vehicles and I think this additional search feature would demonstrate your support of car enthusiasts. Also, the option to show future availability could be offered through the regular search use-case.

2. Car pictures – I’m not sure if you can figure out the quality of quantity of vehicle pictures using AI but many of the hosts post terrible pictures.

Disclosure of Telematic devices – I understand that telematics can provide important data in the case of an accident or vehicle loss, however as you have a policy that requires the host to disclose the use of a webcam I think you should also have a policy that requires the host to disclose the use of a telematics device under the following conditions:

1. If the device is going to provide real-time verbal feedback on driver performance.

2. If data from the device will be used by the host to influence and evaluate the renter's overall rating.

My most recent car rental experience had both of these conditions and it was not disclosed to me at all. I was therefore surprised and very distracted when the device started telling me to ‘go steady’, and that I had received a ‘warning’ and then a ‘penalty’. I had no idea of the conditions or parameters by which the device was determining that my driving performance wasn’t ‘ok’.

After the first rental day I contacted the host through the app who only then disclosed that the vehicle had an active telematics device. The vehicle I rented was a minivan which was full of people and luggage so there was no spirited driving involved. At one point I was accelerating to merge onto a motorway and the telematics device said I had ‘received a penalty’. I’m guessing it believed my acceleration was unsafe or unwarranted, but it obviously didn’t know the context of the road on which I was accelerating. This lack of context omits important information the host needs to correctly evaluate a person’s driving performance. e.g. Perhaps a period of rapid acceleration was to avoid an accident.

In response to my query the host told me my driving was fine and I should just ignore the verbal warnings, however this ruined my otherwise great experience with the car. I think Turo should evaluate its legal position on this topic and specifically on lack of upfront disclosure. E.g. What if a renter is provided a poor rating by a host based on insufficient information from the telematics device that results in limiting their ability to rent future vehicles. I think the lack of upfront disclosure may put Turo on shaky legal ground and perhaps result in a loss a customer. BTW, my host was great in every way and I gave him a 5 star rating. I have recommended several of my friends to Turo and I support your disruption of the car rental industry so I hope you take my feedback as supporting your goals.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Our Turo experience was very good -- just shy of five stars. It was a bit nerve-wracking booking the initial car. The app is good but not 100% intuitive. Also, I kept getting a creeping feeling our host could cancel, since I had no familiarity with the experience in the past. A little more hand-holding would have been nice. The pick up couldn't have been better. Sanjay dropped off the car clean and he was a real pro. I love the idea of taking all those pictures of the car. There were a few tiny scratches I wanted to call out to Sanjay and I wasn't sure they would be picked up on the app -- I didn't want to get dinged for those. But, I also didn't want to be a jerk. So, that's something maybe you guys have to work on.

The car was fun to drive and we were under the mileage -- something I thought we might max out. I kept being nervous about the car getting damaged even though I had Turo coverage. Driving the car just didn't FEEL like driving a rental car -- I felt responsible to Sanjay in a way I wasn't with all my rental cars. This was both good and bad. The updates from Turo were fine, but I never felt like anyone was ACTUALLY there behind the emails. Maybe a call to check in would have been nice, or a personalized text. The auto emails felt like auto emails.

Dropping off the car got me a bit nervous too. There's a SINGLE drop off time -- not a window. At Budget it doesn't matter if I'm a little early or late. Also, since I met and liked Sanjay I wanted to make the car extra clean, so I had to find a local car wash and vacuum stuff not too long before the drop off time. This was a bit stressful too. At the end of the day, Turo did as good or a better job than Budget or Enterprise, and I'm thankful for that.

Original review: May 11, 2019

The process was straightforward and not difficult. Happy with the selection, especially the proximity of my options. Vehicle was dirty and on E and required mechanical attention. Standards or minimum operating conditions for use would be much appreciated and minimize liability for all parties. The condition was unpleasant. Should not have been an issue if a minimum standard was adhered to. I was taken aback that photos were required at end of trip when not requested prior to the trip... It’s still a he said she said.

Current Condition of the car/vehicle should be made known to the trip prior to pick up, i.e., needs gas, needs car wash, exhaust squeaks, brakes squeak... In fact, there is no rating for any of that in the feedback for the trip for the owner, we kinda have to do an overall judgment and people tend to be nicer on those. A dirty car is at least a star off and squeaking car every time I brake, about two stars off but I still had fun in spite of but that’s because the car was not my trip, it was the means by which I made the trip. The car was annoying and at times embarrassing. You keeping better oversight or requiring more up to date vehicle conditions would at least let us know what to expect and maybe give us a means for a discount or non-penalty cancelation; I don’t drive a car with squeaking brakes or exhaust and I wouldn’t rent one either. I like the service you provide overall but I want reassurance that it’s not a rent a wreck or the teenager's party vehicle.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Wow, what a phenomenal automobile! This was my first experience using Turo, so I was a bit nervous. Emil, was definitely a true gentleman and he made the process very easy. I chose to pick the car up instead of having it delivered. Emil, allowed me to pick the vehicle up an hour early which was great and when I arrived he was waited outside. We shook hands and he briefly explain any details I needed and I was on my way.

The Car: The vehicle was immaculate, Emil said he had just had it detailed and it looked showroom quality. The thing was a beast, a true super car that is a blast to drive. It's most definitely a head turner and a woman magnet. It roars like a race car but purrs like a kitten and the rest is irrelevant. The Dropoff: Once my time was up with this amazing car, I topped off the fuel with premium and drove it back to Mr. Emil's residence. Since Emil was not home I left the vehicle parked in his driveway and reached out to him to verify the car is back and he could lock it up.

The Overall: The overall experience was more than I ever could have expected and to top it off I left my keys in Emil's car and he was nice enough to look through the car for me, find them, and put them away for me to retrieve. Emil was absolutely a nice guy and very professional, he was a pleasure to do business with and I look forward to the next time. I would highly recommend Emil especially to first-timers. I also recommend the Benz GT AMG he has, you will stand out for sure and there is no other Benz nicer in my opinion on Turo in Houston, TX! Thanks again Emil, my fiance and I thoroughly enjoyed our special night thanks to you!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I've had some great travel experiences with Turo. It's very convenient for security reasons most of the time, and also being able to select exactly what vehicle you want ahead of time. The prices are reasonable and the industry standard prices of a tiny compact car, are the same on Turo to rent a large SUV. I have recommended Turo to countless work associates, and family.

However I've also had some negative experiences on the platform. In the winter 2018 I rented a vehicle that was not road legal, and turn signal out. I was in the midst of a important business trip, and was unable to switch out the car working 14 hour days, and the host Tereza did not offer to help me in any way. I could've been pulled over for the car issues and given multiple tickets at my expense, and had to roll down the winter in cold conditions to arm signal while wearing a business suit. I hold Turo responsible, if the car was inspected it never should've been approved to be rented on the platform.

The host also had me picking up the vehicle in a ghetto dark parking lot with bums and weird characters loitering around, as a young female this was incredibly unsafe. She also had me drop off the car without any notice, abandoned in the dark questionable parking lot with the same characters milling about, with the doors unlocked and keys inside. She also harassed me, forgetting which customer I was, demanding me to return the car hours early, I had to keep reminding her which vehicle I was renting & the contract until she realized.

I reported this and Turo only offered me a $25 credit when I had rented the vehicle for an entire week (about $200). I inquired why they could not provide a partial refund, and Turo's rep Jovie refused to reply a 2nd time and stopped answering. I have had other minor questions and concerns, and each time the requests are answered they use cookie cutter responses, and the names seem foreign and they have poor English.

Overall, I'm happy with the ingenuity of the website and the creative replacement to commercial rental companies, however the customer service department is lacking and I don't feel that they truly address customer needs, and are more interested that they give you a quick reply to make you go away and dismiss your issues without actually correcting the root problems.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Very easy and efficient process from selecting a specific car to pick up and drop off. The car performed well and above all, was cost-affective, having saved over $100 when compared to traditional “big name” companies. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend using Turo to a friend or family member.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Filip was awesome renting his car. No problems and helpful. Every thing went very smoothly. I will definitely use them again if you're ever in the Tampa area. Cant wait to go back and use another car. Was better than a car rental at airport.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Evelyn and her husband were extremely helpful with everything. It was really nice to have since it was my first time renting through Turo. I needed a last minute extension and they were great about it! I'd rent from them again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I recommended strongly with Turo hustle members. If you are looking to rent a car with no hide extra fees. Easy pickup, easy lift, even this was my first time but I will be re rent again and again. Thank you so much Turo. Big thanks to my Hustle. Raed **.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Bmw i8. The car was nice and clean as stated. The people I dealt with were incredible and knew every question I asked. They even helped with better directions on how to get where I was going faster by dodging traffic. I would give them six stars if I could. They went above and beyond expected standards. I would for sure recommend them and will for sure use them any chance I get! They are lucky to have such remarkable employees and BEAUTIFUL cars. I thoroughly recommend them for any luxury car rental needs! Thanks again for being so great!!

Turo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Turo is a car rental marketplace for travelers in the United States and Canada who can choose to rent cars from nearby owners. The company was founded in San Francisco in 2009.

• Car pickup or delivery: Most cars booked with Turo can be picked up, but owners may offer delivery service at their discretion.

• Insurance: Turo covers each car with liability insurance up to one million dollars. Extra insurance is available for renters to purchase.

• Security considerations: Cars listed on Turo must meet the company’s roadworthy requirements. Likewise, renters are screened through various profiles to ensure they will take care of their vehicles.

• Turo Valet: Turo Valets are set up at both SFO and LAX airports for travelers to pick up their reserved vehicles as soon as they get off their planes.

• Turo OpenRoad: Turo OpenRoad is a community of people dedicated to policy regarding peer-to-peer car sharing. Consumers can join the community to stay up to date on political regulation and other current issues that affect car sharing.

• Best for: Turo is best for vacationers in the United States and Canada who want to rent a specific car directly from the owner.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs