1.70/5
  • 1 star
Based on 85 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Turo

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 19, 2018

85 Turo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Well, recently I joined Turo and was excited to start my own renting service with Turo, well I bought a car Jetta on 21st of December listed it on the same day with premium insurance plan provided by Turo, since this plans covers exterior wear and tear stuff like scratches and the customer does. It will cover it. The excitement was that my car got rented on 24th of December with premium insurance with a cut f 35% of my earnings. I accepted it as at-least my car will be safe. Hence, after 2 days the renter returned my car in the evening and said it's a fine car. I was happy that everything went good after-all it's my first time renting.

I drove my car back inside the Garage and under the light and with a surprise as I was going back I saw scratches on back right side of car stretched to front door and corner of bonnet, it looked new scratches. I messaged the renter. He didn't replied. I clicked photographs at the moment and reported to Turo, according to Turo policy. Well, I was sure everything will be taken care since, Turo has a great record.

After an hour the renter replies and denies any problems occurred during his renting period. Hence, I replied everything is documented let's see what Turo decides; Well to my surprise I had a reply from Turo after 3 business days! With saying they want more pictures. I send them all, then they replied they want to have pictures with measurement. I send them those too. Then after 2 weeks these were their replies: With the declaration that I had those scratches before I rented, well if first of all the car was newly painted and polished second, while renting the renter clicked pics and there was no scratches on pics.

"We have reviewed the documentation you provided and believe that your claim may not qualify for coverage under our damage policy. The pre-trips uploaded are not clear enough to assess whether the damage is new. As you can see from our policy below, “pre-trip” photos are required for coverage in order for a claim to be eligible unless there is other documentation that proves the damage occurred during the reservation.

For Owners to qualify for physical damage coverage for any event that qualifies as a covered peril during the rental period, Turo must have the following documentation: (1) clear photo documentation of the areas the Owner is seeking coverage for taken within 24 hours of the start and end of the trip; or (2) Other evidence (e.g. a police report, 3rd party report) that confirms the damage took place during the trip. Let us know if you may have additional photos, other information that could help us provide coverage for your claim, or any questions. I will review all of the documentation and follow up in two business days with a final determination on coverage. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation." PS: If anybody wants images and all stuff I sent to Turo, please let me know, all are documented. I will be writing a blog about all this soon.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I purchased Turo Insurance that it's supposed to cover 100% if there is an accident. Someone went to my car, got an accident and wrecked the whole back end and trashed the inside. They gave me one form of the payments of what the damage is worth. When the collision repair place called nobody will return the call so I am unable to get my car fixed at this time. We have been calling to row with no success for three weeks now. My car is not drivable and it's unable to get repaired.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I had over a dozen successful rentals from Turo until they randomly put my account on hold for "periodical review." I sent them my documentation and they stated I needed to renew my ID as it was cosmetically damaged. There was only a tiny scratch on it and it could be read perfectly. This was a frivolous move on their part. I eventually got my new ID and they took two days to review, only to eventually say my membership is now declined and the decision is final and they will give no reason. I have never encountered such a miserable and staggeringly awful experience with a company.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

This company uses people for their own benefit. My vehicle was on corals website for a whole year and the rules never stated that if the vehicle was registered in New York that it wouldn't be eligible for insurance. I was told that if I lived in New Jersey and the car was based in New Jersey I can rent my vehicles out the whole entire time. People at Turo knew my license plates were New York license plates. They would give me refunds on tolls and everything and never raise a flag about New York plates the moment that someone destroys my vehicle and I make a complaint. I'm now no longer eligible for its Insurance because the car is registered in New York. All they kept doing is sending me emails about how sorry they are and how their customer service they focus on it.

I actually had someone to give me a call and I said to the young lady Turo knew my car has New York plates because in order to get reimbursement for tolls and tickets you have to give the license plate number. So for a whole year I was receiving my reimbursement and you guys were getting payday percentage for insurance from me and payment from me renting my vehicle the entire time so to me you agree that it was okay that my car was on your platform. And when customer service reps spoke to me on the phone about any reimbursement it never raised a red flag to them like, "Oh this car is registered in New York and has plates. It's not supposed to be on my platform". She stated because it's an online platform that it's really hard for them to see what vehicles are on the site. I said know when you verbally speak to people and when you request your reimbursement.

You have to put the car information which is license plate number and make and model of the vehicle so you guys knew. You guys were just going to keep using me until this situation happened to say I'm no longer eligible for your insurance to cover the damage that was done to my vehicle. She also sent me a link that talked about the rules and eligibility for insurance and as soon as I click on the link it says, "Your car cannot be a registered vehicle in New York City. Now that part was never on the site. I've asked questions from Turo coming to take professional pictures to the people on the phone before I signed up. It even allowed me to sign up with my license plates so they redid the website. They added this tool and the rules and now it says clear as day, "Your vehicle cannot be registered in New York City" so I wouldn't have eyes anyone to really deal with Turo.

Hopefully there's another way you can make a little extra money but Turo will definitely find a way of not reimbursing you. I've also had a problem with the client going over my mail and I have not received the money for that. They want a piece of everything even though you pay them a percentage of every time someone uses your vehicle. It's almost like a scam. They will use you until they can't use you anymore. I even told the lady, “You've been accepting my money so therefore you agreed to take me on this insurance” so I'm trying to find out if there's someone I can speak to higher upper person but they just keep sending emails and I think it's just people working from home.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Turo has a great concept. It's why I keep on renting from them even though I hate the company. Nonetheless, I would advice you to avoid using Turo's services. Out of the five times that I've rented from them, two times were seamless, one time was bad but we worked it out, and the other two times were terrible. During those two times, I believe they showed their true colors, which is that they could care less about you. They do nothing to make a situation right, except a meaningless conversation, where they reiterate how important customer service is to them. Their customer service is laughable and insulting. I absolutely hate this company. Please stay away from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Avoid this company. I reserved 4 different cars in the last week or so. I never actually got a car--the owners or Turo cancelled the cars for whatever reasons. But, Turo charged my credit card anyway. They did credit me for one car. But, they still owe me $707.40. I had to shred my card to stop these charges. Now if someone hacked their system and is using people's credit card information as the other reviewer stated that may be the problem. But, my bank is reversing all the unauthorized charges anyway. I would suggest not using Turo. If they are easily hacked, or if they are committing fraud it's all the same to me.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

There is no customer service. They will charge you fees if anything goes wrong including non-responsive drivers and app errors. I called, e-mailed, chatted, etc. and nothing. Worst company ever! Please warn your friends and family that this is a dangerous company.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Two months after renting a vehicle the company hit my credit card for $38 without any prior warning alleging I had an unpaid toll. I showed receipts and evidence of having paid the toll and my communication with the car owner confirming payment of the toll two months earlier. Nonetheless they disregarded my documented evidence and refused to refund me the full amount they had fraudulently charged to me.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

This was truly the most disastrous experience I could ever imagine. The car was a piece of ** from the day we picked it up with wire is hanging out everywhere and the console and a significant wearily coming in from the rear of the period. It was clear that the car was a previous police vehicle but currently not being taken care of period. On Day 2 and a 1/2 the car broke down in the middle of a highway on a very cold wet rainy afternoon. The experience was her effect and trying to reach the roadside assistance there was no answer and I was on hold for 90 minutes trying to reach that period. The owner did absolutely nothing to assist me.

Finally Highway patrol took matters into their own hands. We are so grateful they had us towed to the local mechanic via my Tripoli account. It has now been 24 hours and to date the owner has yet to apologize for the incredible inconvenience. We've lost an entire day and a 1/2 of our trip leaving us stranded having to pay a fortune for a new vehicle. I think with some frustrating to me is we received 0 to no assistance. Nobody seems to care. This is not a company I would ever recommend renting a car nor would I ever do it again.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

My son set up his account to rent a car for me when my car broke down three days before Christmas. I never knew about Turo until my son told me about it. We didn't know the process because then I tried to set up an account for myself as well. When Turo seen that my son account and my account had the same info they asked me to explain why so I did. Then I was asked to take a picture of my DL and a picture with me holding my DL so I did. Then I received a email stating they declined me. I responded with please provide me an explanation as to why I was declined. They responded they can't disclose their process procedure. My question no one tried to understand that we were new to the site and we didn't know, no investigation done just declined. But reading most of these reviews maybe that might have been best for me. Thanks Turo. Keep up the good work (NOT).

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I rented from Turo a few times and was really impressed with the options available. It was easy to rent any car I wanted - from an economy clunker to a supercar. The hosts were nice enough. So this summer when I ended up with an extra car, I decided to host for Turo. Things to be aware of: As a host, Turo will take 15-35% of your rental fees for "insurance." Note that renters are also paying a pretty hefty price for insurance. I'm convinced Turo's revenue comes primarily from marked up insurance premiums and so they necessarily avoid paying all claims possible.

On a recent rental, the renter screwed up the driver's seat in one of my cars. I'm sure it was an innocent mistake on their part - the driver seat is now stuck in a reclined position. I attempted to call in within their 24 hour reporting period, but I was unable to file a claim over the phone. Unable to complete it until the next day and believing that Turo would realize that I called in, I filed the claim the next day.

To my dismay, they have determined that I am not eligible for damage coverage because my report came in more than 24 hours after the rental period. They refuse to speak with me about it - their support center won't even transfer to a supervisor. Every phone number goes through an insane phone tree. The result: After paying more for Turo insurance over six months of hosting than I paid on my auto, homeowners and umbrella policies total, I've decided that Turo is a sham of a company. Before renting or hosting through Turo, be aware that if something goes wrong, chances are YOU will be personally responsible for the actions of the random people driving your cars around. If you're renting, you could be personally responsible for problems too.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Be careful with Turo, I think someone is about to hacker into the customer info. Turo customers support ask sometimes for picture of your credit card and driver license. They are asking to send the picture on your email account. It will be very easy for hackers to collect all that info. I heard the same complaint from others customers.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Turo has a lot of problems. I rented an electric car from an individual for one day. The owner required to have the car fully charged upon return, which was not possible due to the fact that the car needs to be charged 4-5 hours to be completely charged. The range of the electric car was mispresented by the owner and caused a lot of inconvenience, including 2 Uber rides for well above the rental rate for the car. To top things off, I was charged an additional $10 for not returning the car fully charged. Should I hang around for a period of 5 hours at a charging station in the owner’s area? Also, I left a review for the car rented and Turo does not publish the review unless the owner rates the driver as well. Well aware that I was dissatisfied with my renting experience, of course, the owner would not leave a review. Therefore, all reviews on Turo are inflated. Negative reviews are not considered at all!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Turo is not Airbnb. You don't get a rental contract for the car you rent and as a consequence no normal car insurance will cover you. So you need to buy Turo's own premium insurance with a 500 $ deductible. Otherwise, you can get screwed easily. If there is any damage Turo will send you their own estimate of the cost without any evidence that this reflect actual costs and will deduct that amount from your credit card. I ended up with a nice car with no license plates and 3000 miles past its last inspection. Also, unlike Airbnb, if there is a problem you end up with an unhelpful and at times hostile Turo customer support.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I went onto Turo, was at first impressed. I successfully rented a car, provided all information. When I logged back in accidentally using another email address, I got tripped up with having to re-register. This threw my entire account out of whack and subsequently was asked for all kinds of crazy personal information, photos of me holding my license and so although have a paid-for rental? I have no ability to log into my original account. It's totally insane. On top of it, their Malaysian or Filipino customer service is not very adept and they have a whole text messaging system which I would not call very functional. My point is, if I'm already verified, they took my money, and the rental is still happening. Why do I have to re-verify myself through crazy steps???

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

So here's my story. I decided to use TURO to take a weekend trip to Tahoe with my girlfriend. Everything went well and the pickup and drop-off process went smooth. However, during our trip back we noticed that there was a hairline crack on the windshield (probably a small rock or pebble kicked up while driving) in which I wanted to report in case things get messy. I'll tell you guys what. I feel like there wouldn't have been difference if I manned up to report that there was a hairline crack or not. I would have been better off returning it and running off. But No. I'm not that kind of person.

So after everything was all said and done, I got an email from TURO's claims specialist which they took a 500 dollar deposit while they undergo investigation. One week after they claim that the owner had to replace the whole windshield which pretty much took 500+ including their processing fee or whatever the added on top. So you're telling me acts of nature will completely be my responsibility? I kind of want to know what would happen if lightning or a tree fell on the car and if TURO will blame me for all financial responsibilities. Overall, it was my first and last time using TURO. They left a sour taste in my mouth.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Since I'm under 25 most car rental companies won't let me be their customer. With Turo I can pay a small daily fee and rent a car. Picking up the car is easy and the individuals are very friendly in my experience. I look forward to someday hosting my car on Turo.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Very unhappy!!! I rented a Turo car for a few weeks. No issues, but I wanted to extend to rental date. Someone else had already made reservations to rent car, before I could extend or modify the rental date and time. I tried to modify at least the time, to avoid any late fees. The Turo app will not let you make any changes, if another trip is booked. I called the owner, hours before the rental return time. I told her I will be a few hours late returning the car. She said, "Ok no problem and return the car as soon as possible." The car was returned 5 hours late that same day. The car was inspected by my self and the guy picking up the car, no issues reported. I was later charged a $225 late fee and another $21 car wash fee.

To make things worse, 2 weeks later. I got an email from Turo, claiming I damaged the rental car and will I charged an $500 assessment fee, while the claim was investigated. A Turo claims agent stated in an email, the transmission was damaged from an impact. WHAT IMPACT??? The owner of the car claimed the check engine light came on and after a visit to the dealer. The transmission needs to be replaced for $3600+!!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

We started with Turo in February, 2017. At first, it was great. Then, the first renter of my brand new car wouldn’t return the car, it came back dirty and damaged. Turo never had the decency to call me, but they did take care of the damage. The process was horrible, but in the end, the car was fixed. We continued on. We met wonderful people. Turo was never fantastic about answering questions. They don’t listen. Anyway, we were still trying to figure it all out, so it was like growing pains.

In October, 2017, because business was slow where we live, my son moved the location of the cars to Manassas, VA. We washed the car and cleaned the interior for every renter. I have five star ratings. Business picked up. In mid November, I was talking to Turo on the phone and Christopher of Turo said, "If you ever feel uncomfortable with a renter, call them and they will cancel."

That same night, someone rented one of our cars. Then she said she wanted to get her partner listed because her partner was actually going to drive the car. For whatever reason, Turo was slow to approve the partner. The rental period was an hour away and I was concerned as to who would be driving my car. I called to cancel, but they wouldn’t. They said I had to send the renter a text and wait for a response. I had to leave to make the rental time, so I began the drive, still waiting to cancel with that rental.

I called back and called back and called back. They laughed at me, hung up on me, and kept talking about her handing me an invalid license. I was like what? They didn’t listen. They wouldn’t cancel. The renter called and promised to take care of the car and said she would be the only driver and it was an emergency. I agreed, but Turo wouldn’t cancel anyway, so I felt forced.

It took two more hours to get a supervisor. They again hung up on me and laughed and put me on hold for forty five minutes. They do that a lot. Finally, got Joe, the supervisor. He was awesome. Appeared to get that no one understood the issue previously and hadn’t read the notes. He apologized and promised an investigation. So, I was stunned that night to find they delisted my car. I called back and was told they delisted the car because I gave the car to an unauthorized renter.

The next two calls were not transferred to the supervisor as I asked. Finally got him again and he said it was to keep that renter from extending and told me not to extend her rental. He said he would call me back after the investigation. Never heard from him again. He’s always out when I call they say. She did ask for an Extention. I had to decline it. We were going to quit Turo then, but we were on target for a thousand dollar month. So, the next night, the car rented out again. We were out eating a good half hour from my house. The renter wanted me to call him, so I did. His question was is the car available. We went to hand wash and clean the interior of it. He wanted it at 9 pm.

About 7 pm, he called to ask that we meet at 8 pm. I said all changes have to go through Turo and they won’t let the owner make the changes. He said, "Let’s keep it at 9 pm" and that he couldn’t contact Turo. So at 8:15 pm, he called and literally said that he had been at the drop off location and I was taking so long that he left and went to Olive Garden. He wanted to change the pickup location to there. I said all changes have to go through Turo but I would call and ask. He said he couldn’t. I did. They wouldn’t let me. Renter said fine. We met at 9 pm he walked around the car and said it was very nice and very clean. He left. He had the car from Sunday at 9 pm to Sunday at 9 pm. He called the night it was due back at 7 pm and said he wanted to return it at 8:30 pm. I had even sent him the phone number and reservation number so he could contact Turo to make changes.

He said he didn’t have the app and used the computer to make the reservation. So of course he called me and not Turo. Since it was just a half hour earlier, Turo was ok with getting the car earlier without a formal notification. We got there at 8:01 pm, and so did the renter. We felt damage to the front bumper, just underneath. The car was dirty, inside and out. There was garbage in the car. Feathers in the seats. Gross. The renter began screaming at my son and I. I informed him the car was dirty and damaged and he hadn’t followed procedure from minute one. He kept screaming that we had no idea who we were dealing with or who he and his friends were. They wanted to fight my son.

Scared and upset, I called Turo. They were still screaming at us. I told her what was happening. She kept putting me on hold. The renter began walking around me taking pictures of me and screaming he could take pictures too. We had only taken pictures of the damaged and dirty car, not of him. She said she was transferring me to damage claims, but she didn’t. I thought she had hung up cause I didn’t hear anything. I kept saying there was damages and he was threatening us.

Finally she said the car is dirty, is that all. The renter left. She again said she was transferring me to damage claims. Forty five minutes later, I was still waiting on hold. Finally, Hannah answered. I told her all that had transpired. She understood the danger of what happened. I found his garage opener in the car and told her I was afraid to meet with him. He started texting and calling non-stop. He said he was coming back. He called Turo. While she was telling me to call the police, Turo was calling me and telling me to return his property. Hannah of Turo was saying stay away from him. Turo left me an email that they had called me about his property.

My son had the movie theater nearby call the police. Hannah was with me for awhile on the phone, but the billing office closed before the police came. I forgot to mention Hannah was with billing, not damage claims. She couldn’t help me with the claim. The renter got back before the police. The car sped towards us. The renter got out and chased us. The movie theater employees saw it. They recalled police. I called them too. They came and I gave them the garage remote and pack of tissues that had been left in my car. The officer said the renter and his friend yelling and threatening were intimidation. He also said it was a civil matter with the car damage. And that these apps were dangerous.

Turo gives you 24 hours to file the damage claim. I submitted the pictures and estimates from the body shop and the detailed. I had handed the renter the garbage and I picked some of the feathers out of the seats. The body shop found dripping blood and hair under the car. They said a deer was hit. There is over $900 in damages to the underneath front bumper and the front plastic pieces and the front grill is damaged and the radiator is busted. I included recent mechanic receipts to show the car was in good condition prior to that renter. Turo said that what happened to us was unacceptable by a renter, but they rejected my claim. They said the cleaning fee was excessive and that the pictures from before were not good enough.

We took all the required pictures, and they clearly show damage. The body shop said it was fresh damage. We made a little more than $1000. Our best month. It’s going to cost all of that to fix the car. The renter said I shouldn’t be renting the car and I shouldn’t expect it clean and he said I couldn’t prove he damaged the front end.

Despite all the pictures and reports, Turo isn’t doing anything. I’m still shaking from his abusive and threatening behavior and they won’t cover one thing. We even have the top insurance through them for a rental car, wear and tear damage, and lost rental income. I had to turn down a rental. That car has been out for most of the month and was clearly damaged during that rental. They didn’t even call me. Rejected the claim through a cold email. They don’t protect or support the owners.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I have rented multiple times with Turo and even the one time an owner never showed up with the vehicle, Turo made it right by providing credit towards an even better vehicle nearby. Far cheaper than your standard rental service. Will continue to use in the future. Useful when needed and helpful when things go wrong.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Using Turo couldn’t be any easier! I am incredibly pleased to say I’ll never rent from Enterprise/Hertz/etc. again. With Turo, my vehicle was better than anything the rental companies could offer... and at literally half the price of the rental companies’ lowest priced option!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I used Turo on my USA trip. I'm from Pakistan and it was cheap and easy to hire a car through Turo. People I deal with all was nice. I rented 4 cars in 19 days. I didn't had any problem or nor anybody try to take some extra money. Pick and drop was so easy and as per my need. Surely recommend to other people but please don't pay anyone money outside from the app.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I would give 0 stars if possible. Here it is the day before Thanksgiving and I am not able to visit my family. I was supposed to have car from Turo today at 2 pm. Owner cancels 1 hour before my trip. I call Turo and they tell me, "So sorry will give a refund in 3 to 5 business days." Well that does not help me because I need my money and a car to travel now! I will never again use this company. My holiday plans to visit my family are over! I'm in tears right now!!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Seemed easy enough, most of the rental agencies in Seattle were booked, so being smart or not so smart, I tried TURO (old RelayRides). My experience with RelayRides was great and my family drove to the mountains. This time, in a bind, I tried TURO and found a Prius. When my rental period of 3 days ended I tried rebooking with the app and yes I was a few hours past the deadline. This was the start of the nightmare.

I tried rebooking furiously and contacted the owner. I explained to the owner I was rebooking and he agreed. Basically each time I tried to rebook, I was told I was not authorized to rebook. After about 8 calls to customer service, I found out that their system was down for some reason and to try calling again in an hour. The app kept giving me this annoying message and neither customer service or the app could explain the issue. Resigned and in a panic I drove to the owner to return the car. Once I did get to rebook but the system cancelled my reservation and said I was the one who cancelled. When I contacted the owner, he explained he lost on other bids to lease the car out. I agreed that a $50 fee would be appropriate and he agreed, verifying this. Through emails to TURO, I was told there’s a $50 hour late fees.

After being assured in one of my final calls, that I could rebook... A new message starts popping up that I need to reverify my account. Another round of calls and then finally email and phone number and credit card verifications. What a runaround. I finally gave up on renting through Turo. Now all this is crazy as far as fees. What’s even crazier is the fact that I couldn’t rebook and got the runaround from customer service. It doesn’t stop there. They finally said that the owner was charging me $100. Higher than what we agreed. There was also a $25 admin fee. All because the app and customer service messed up my rebook.

So $32 a day turned out to be much more hassle and I was threatened with collection activity in addition to being inconvenienced. So TuRO is not a good solution to renting a car. The car I got was filthy on the inside and not only had body damage, but over 150,000 miles. One of the headlights was out and the owner quickly said I could replace the car, but I declined. I don’t need to keep switching cars. Bottom line is TURO is charging me $125 penalty to pay for their messy customer service and junk - saying I returned their rental car late. Yes. That’s a given when I’m given a runaround.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I could not be happier with my dealings with Turo. It was easy to use - easy to deal with the people I rented the cars off and the overall service was fantastic. Getting ripped off by car hire days are over!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I rented a car (Mercedes crossover) using Turo for the first time in November 2017 while traveling to Colorado. The experience was almost perfect and it cost me at least less than of that of a rental car.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Applied for an account. Tried to rent a car. Turo requested additional documentation over and over. Provided all documentation requested. Denied without a reason, as many others here. Asked for a reason. No response. No one to talk to. Hiding behind email. Can't do business that way.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

The app looks pretty easy to use and appears to be a cheaper alternative to official car rent offices, but you will feel completely insecure once you give them your credit card details. I got one successful booking even with their 25$ discount for first order, but later their services completely disappointed me: They can deactivate your account without any particular reason. I made one account, but after first booking when every time I tried to book a car there was a message "you are not able to book this car". Turo never check the owners' cars. The one I get from the owner (his name is Mansour, from Lawndale) was without number plate and without any documents. As I'm just a tourist, I didn't realise that it could be a problem as I learned later. Luckily we weren't stopped by police. Once there is problem with car, it's your problem now.

We took Prius, but the gears were broken and there was check engine sign. The owner said he has no other cars to replace this one, but later he gave us a crappy old Mustang with a giant hole in the roof, we have no other choice than to accept this as we needed car urgently. In Turo there is no option to cancel or modify order in case the car is broken. They can charge money from your credit card without reason and explanation. And finally, when I gave up on Turo and haven't been using in for two weeks at least, I get the notification from bank that they charged me 77$. For what? I called their support but they were not able to give any explanation to it, they checked and said there were no payments from my account. **, this is frustrating. So be careful with it.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

The rates were not substantially cheaper but I wanted to try it on my recent trip to Austin. Booked it a month early and on the morning of my travel, the owner canceled the rental. Turo offered help to find replacement car but their help is useless. The car was not clean and empty as you would expect from a standard rental. Avoid this service if you can.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I would rate this guy with zero stars if I could. He stole from me over $300 dollars in cost for my belongings. I try to contact Turo and guess what happened? Nothing. If you want to rent a vehicle from someone trustworthy that won't steal from you Aleh is not in the list. I have rented from Turo for a long time, but now any type of people can put their vehicle in here. What happened is that my belongings were in the vehicle and when I dropped it off everything went so fast that my belongings were inside.

I left because I was in a hurry. I saw Aleh cleaning the vehicle while I was waiting for Uber. After 4 hours I call him telling him that in my hurry I left some belongings. I also call Turo the same day. My belongings had a tracker and the last location was at the shop where Aleh works at 7 pm and I drop off the car at 12 pm. Now he is telling me that nothing was found and that he doesn't has clue of it. I would never rent from Turo ever again. We as customers we run away from bad and untrustworthy customer service like this, and I thought because I've been with Turo and they didn't. I guess it's cheaper to pay thieves like this guy than keep honest people with better backgrounds. Oh and just so you know I put 1 star on his profile and guess what? When I submit the rate it said 4 stars and a half.

Turo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Turo is a car rental marketplace for travelers in the United States and Canada who can choose to rent cars from nearby owners. The company was founded in San Francisco in 2009.

• Car pickup or delivery: Most cars booked with Turo can be picked up, but owners may offer delivery service at their discretion.

• Insurance: Turo covers each car with liability insurance up to one million dollars. Extra insurance is available for renters to purchase.

• Security considerations: Cars listed on Turo must meet the company’s roadworthy requirements. Likewise, renters are screened through various profiles to ensure they will take care of their vehicles.

• Turo Valet: Turo Valets are set up at both SFO and LAX airports for travelers to pick up their reserved vehicles as soon as they get off their planes.

• Turo OpenRoad: Turo OpenRoad is a community of people dedicated to policy regarding peer-to-peer car sharing. Consumers can join the community to stay up to date on political regulation and other current issues that affect car sharing.

• Best for: Turo is best for vacationers in the United States and Canada who want to rent a specific car directly from the owner.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Turo Company Information

turo.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use