1.42/5

Last updated: April 4, 2018

109 Turo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 4, 2018

I reach out to their customer service team to unlock my account. I go through their "procedures" to verify my identity. That is to send pictures of my credit card, my driver's license and my photo. I do all that, next they ask me to verify my phone number and email address, which I also do. Here's the kicker after, they wanted to know who I "allegedly" shared my account with. And while I'm reasonable enough to comply with that first two requests, the third is where I draw the line. I've never encountered a company to imply that I shared my information with someone else. Their methods are certainly quite invasive and borderline violates my privacy. Even my bank doesn't do that when I get my account locked from time to time. All this hassle to unlock an account, if this any other professional company, my account would have already been unlocked.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I booked a reservation on Turo App for 6 days and for some reason the App change the dates and put 2 days more and I didn't noticed until they called me the next day after the booking and said the car was waiting for me at the airport. I was on the app a Tuesday to get the car on Friday and the system put the reservation for Wednesday... They charge me the cancellation fee and I was agree since it was my fault not noticing the day the system put on the checkout (confirmation) besides that if I want the car for Friday which is the original day, I have to pay more than if I took the car on Wednesday...

So I think is an strategy to charge clients more. How is possible you are going to pay more for less days of rental and put the extra charge of the cancellation fee. At the end I have to pay them almost $200.00 for a car I didn't use and the car cost was $125.00 per day and a cancellation that I didn't expected because I rented for the correct days and the app is very tricky for their convenience.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation & Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2018

As part of the application process you are required to take a selfie holding your driver's license & also one of you holding the credit card you will be using. I was turned down because of no TransUnion Car Insurance report. I prefer not to own & utilize public transportation because I choose to assist the environment & make a minimal carbon imprint. There is no indication that a TransUnion report will be pulled. The denial should have come BEFORE taking personal information & photos of DL & CC. I regretted that I may have opened the door wide for identity theft. It was an urgent personal matter & I only had a debit card at the time. I since have a CC & used Enterprise Rental instead.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I had an issue with a car owner and when I cancelled Turo asked if I was uncomfortable. Yes, was the answer. Over time, the owner of the car was unresponsive and was incurring negative reviews in the process from other people. As a person with mobility issues, this was postnatally going to not be a successful solo trip for me. The first customer service rep said they would give me a full refund but then a second rep, P ** spent the two days of emails telling me that I was wrong and wouldn't get a refund. I was tired of dealing with this Turo rep and had to ask her to stop bothering me. Highly unprofessional of Turo to allow this kind of treatment. I did find another owner and feel like I will have a successful trip, but double minded as to if I use them again. I filled out a complaint report, but have heard from no one.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We had a bad experience when using Turo. We rented a car in Hawaii and the car itself had pre-existing damages. We took a video of the car before our trip so that all evidence was recorded and we could drive with peace of mind. We did the same when dropped off the car. Once we dropped off the car, the owner filled a dispute for damages totalling $800+. We had video evidence to support this was pre-existing.

PROBLEM 1: Turo demanded we send them all evidence within 24 hours. If we wait any longer, they will take the money from our card. So if you're travelling... better find Wi-Fi FAST!! because the phone app won't work for this. Visiting an ill family member? Better ditch them to find Wi-Fi... Apparently, Turo think 24 hours is fine because quote: "You either have the evidence or you don't." PROBLEM 2: Turo offer only EMAIL support. You CANNOT call them. You try calling Turo, you will be passed around a bunch of menu options and none of them lead to a physical person. They take OVER 24 hours to reply to you... So if you have problems, tough luck, because you better send all that evidence over within 24 hours because you will not be able to talk to Turo in that time.

PROBLEM 3: We followed the guide we received via email and submitted some picture evidence. Get this... The website DOES NOT SUPPORT VIDEO EVIDENCE. I took the initiate and renamed the video to .txt and left a description. I also uploaded the video to YouTube and put in the link in. They debited my credit card for $800 and stated that I did not provide any evidence. What!? PROBLEM 4: After emailing back and forth, a day wait in between each communication because they are as slow as hell replying when it really matters, I opened a case with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). This lit a fire under them because I soon received some preferential treatment. Money was finally refunded, despite it being taken from my account illegally.

PROBLEM 5: Turo users can charge up to $250 for a cleaning fee. So if you're renting a nice shiny white car, you're **. Better clean that baby nice and clean and take photos, or you'll be $250 up the spout. PROBLEM 6: The owner of our car was able to charge if the gas level was not full when dropped off. Turo allows car owners to do this. We picked the car up and the gas was just below full. After driving around, we totaled that 80-100 miles were missing from full. In the paperwork for our agreement, it states the car was full when collected. To avoid the fee, we filled the car up, but we knew we were being had. I submitted the evidence to Turo and they ignored the question 4 times. Finally, they addressed it and stated quote: "You took that from a different angle, the car is full".

Do yourself a favor, spend a little extra and rent from somebody like Hertz and not these bunch of pirates. Trust me, you'll be happy you did!! At no point did Turo apologize, not once. At no point did they penalize or ban this car owner. We were finally refunded by Turo because TURO made this mistake. The car owner still kept the $800 despite trying to charge us for pre-existing damage. This car owner is free to carry on and rip people off. I assume that Turo gets a nice cut from rentals because they are clearly doing nothing about it. This has been the most terrible car rental experience I have ever had.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Turo?

Original review: March 28, 2018

The owner of the car seemed like a great guy and the car itself was perfect. Clean and safe. No complaints there. However when returning the car we got nailed with unexpected traffic in a horrible way. Our expected commute of 30 minutes turned into 2 hours to get the car back. I had contacted the owner of the car before it was due back to let him know we'd be late. He replied through the Turo app that it was no problem at all. It's documented and the Turo folks saw it as well. Still, because I was 20 minutes late, Turo charged me a $75 fee and "suspended" my account? I've been talking to the Turo customer service people and they say despite my communication and telling the owner I'd be late (and him saying it was OK) they have to charge me the fee and suspend me. This was my first time using Turo, and my last.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have used service three times but last one has ruined me. Normally the car is delivered but owner said he couldn't meet and said was 20 mins away. I agreed to pick up car. I explained that we were grandparents coming to Disney World. We drove RV and wanted to car for local driving for beach and Disney World. We had car three days (had to take $44 Uber to pick up car that was actually over hour away). We had 400 mile limit and put half on it. We had to have car back at 8 am which meant leaving condo early...dropped off. Car had no trash but did have beach sand... My surprise that my credit card had been charged extra $75 because "cleaning violation." I'm done. I will use regular rental car. Beware that this charge was not allowed to be contested. Just shows up.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Turo is run by rude people who will 100% of the time side with car owners for even ridiculous little things. I was slammed with a $100 cleaning fee because the car owner found a few crumbs lodged in the back of the floor. They could have been from a previous renter or who knows! But Turo won't talk to you about it. They'll greedily wiggle their fingers and take your money without any warning. Don't bother trying to dispute, their customer service treats people like toddlers who misbehave. They have no respect for their customers and are looking to grab as much money from you as possible.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Turo’s client damaged my vehicle and fessed up. After several days was finally connected to someone that could help me file a claim. Now can’t get the claims dept to follow through with due diligence to find a solution. Extremely POOR customer service from a new company.

Original review: March 20, 2018

After submitting my personal information including my credit cards and driver license and uploading a picture myself and pictures of the front and back of my driver license I went to the page where I was supposed to confirm the car rental just to be surprised that the rental price per day was increased 50%!!! Seriously? Is that how it works? I will keep monitoring my bank transactions to see if they make any withdrawals, and hope they won’t sell my personal information and driver license. Scammers!

Original review: March 17, 2018

The following was Turo's response to me after deactivating my account. "We recently reviewed your account, and we’re sorry to inform you that we’ve determined you’re no longer eligible to use our marketplace." My response as follows: "Hello. No explanation? It's very sad your power to make these decisions would affect people with impeccable credit and driving history. I'm fully insured and have not had a driving infraction since 1983." Turo response, "I understand how you feel and I know this can be really frustrating. However, all decisions on membership made by the Turo Verification team are final. Further communication will not receive a response. Thank you!" People beware when using this peer to peer. It seems they will cancel you at any time without explanation! At last resort you need a car, you feel your Turo account can come to your rescue? Don’t count on it.

Original review: March 11, 2018

This company is pathetic. They have requirements and don't even state what the requirements are. They state I don't meet "auto insurance score" requirements, but do not tell me what my score is, what reason I don't meet those requirements, and what their own requirements are. I have never had an accident, never been charged with a DUI, reckless driving and had any insurance claims in 14+ years of driving. Other than speeding tickets (that have never costed me demerit points), my record is clean. I rent cars through other companies on a monthly basis, this is by far one of the most pathetic services I've come by.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I used this service when I flew to Hawaii and Florida. The drivers there have their own reviews like Airbnb so you already know who you're dealing with. We even had some car trouble in Hawaii, but our guy was so nice and helped us out and we had no problems at all. The app is so simple to use and understand. I don't know why some people are saying otherwise. I will always use Turo from now on instead of traditional car rental services.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

This company has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. My personal in credit card info was compromised and the company will do nothing to clarify or rectify the issue. DON'T TRUST TURO. The convenience of their service is not worth it.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

If I could give 1 star I would. Signed up to use Turo and was "declined" to be a customer. When asked why I was declined I was told via text (Turo's way of customer service) I was told they would not release details of their review. Anyways, I ended up meeting the SAME person who had the car for rent and made the transaction without Turo. Details: Needed the car Thursday to Saturday while my car was being worked on (brakes & rotors).

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Turo is a flat out joke. 30 year old professional with a clean driving record for the last 7 years. 800+ credit score but yet can’t get approved to rent from Turo. Went through hoops just to try and prove I am who I say I am. (Send selfie, send proof of credit card, send proof of drivers license) Still after all that they said “after reviewing account you’re denied access to Turo”. They are a ** joke.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Denied me the ability to rent vehicles. Wouldn't tell me why because it would "compromise the effectiveness" of renting. My driver's license is clean and valid, yet they'll allow my husband to rent and he's a habitual traffic offender who just cleared up his DUI. Fools.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

My personal insurance exceeds Turo requirements, my profile exceeds Turo requirements; I rented one vehicle which was a seamless and BRILLIANT experience and then Turo emails me saying my account is terminated. After I appealed with verification documents (insurance, DL, W-2, etc.) they say they will not inform me of why they terminated my account quote: “Turo does not release the details of these decisions, due to their proprietary nature.” Traditional rental car companies are obnoxious and Turo is doing a good job representing themselves as sub-par even to Thrifty.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Might be a good deal for the renter but as a car owner with three cars on the site I think it is a scam. My cars are all coming off of the site. The hoops you have to jump thru to get them to cover your car in the event something happens. I just don't see how people are making money at this. I may be just unlucky, something goes wrong every other trip and just isn't worth my time to keep dealing with a company whose support is so hard to get.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Signing up for Turo is easy, just provide your name, email address, phone number, and that's it. They do not collect any other information from you. Seemed easy enough, right? I booked a Tesla S for a few days, for a total cost of about $1,000, and during that process, I had to provide my DL # and some other information, paid for the rental, and hit submit. The owner of the car approved the trip, and I thought I was good to go. That's when the nightmare started...

I woke up the next morning to an email from Turo stating my account had been closed by a boilerplate email. No reason as to why, though it did say that I needed 100/300/100 insurance, along with comprehensive and collision. I own my car outright, and carry minimal coverage... a quick call to my insurance company told me that to carry that coverage would QUADRUPLE my premiums. Not the point though. In addition to saying that, the email also told me that if I wanted to have my account re-evaluated, I could submit: 2 utility bills, a copy of a pay stub (why do you need my salary info?), insurance card, proof of travel (whatever that means).

I called, I emailed, and got nothing. No replies, and no one could tell me why my account was cancelled. I had a client engagement where they were expecting this specific car, so I was completely stuck, and completely screwed over by Turo with no explanation. Not once did they call me to discuss my account and give me a chance to fix whatever was wrong (I have no idea what was wrong), just BAM, cancelled out of nowhere. To top it all off, they still haven't refunded the thousand bucks they took from me, so I'm going to dispute the charges.

I have zero points on my license, great credit, and no criminal background (all things they state they can check if they decide to). They also claim they'll use an insurance score but I have no idea what that is. I'm sure mine is stellar b/c my premiums with decent coverage on a car that's worth about 10k is $266 for SIX MONTHS of coverage. Worst experience ever, horrible company, no customer support. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. They might not screw you the first time, or even the 100th time, but they will eventually screw you, period.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

If I could give this company 0 stars I would. Worst customer service ever!! I recently created an account in the hopes to use this service for my upcoming trip. I wanted to support this new concept that I thought was changing the auto industry as we knew it. Instead I was in fact denied from their so called “marketplace” after following up why I hadn’t heard back on my account. There was absolutely no rationale behind their decision. When I followed up asking for them to elaborate on why I was denied as I personally think I check off every prerequisite I just didn’t get any response.

To add another nail to the coffin, their rep Angelique said, “We wish you the best of luck in finding a car rental, and suggest that you try one of the more traditional car rental companies." It felt like they said this out of spite. Still waiting to hear back 3 days later as I expect a response asap and a further explanation. I am going to continue to tell people not to use this service going forward and will not support them.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I rented a vehicle from a guy who's friends with Turo's director of claims here in Scottsdale Arizona 7135 E Camelback Road suite 360. Upon returning the vehicle on Sunday 1/28/18 I meet the Turo employee. On 1/29/18 I wake up to an email from Turo stating a damage claim was brought against me. The email stated no specifics how convenient to scheme on a claim when your friend works in claims. I later learn there is suppose to be a scratch on the car which is a 2015 that had damage to the front bumper. It was missing a sensor also. The before and after pictures he submitted weren't from where I picked up the car. Then this guy kept trying to get me to return the car at a later time without changing thru app. He was trying to scheme on a late fee. I'm joining the Turo pissed consumers. Pissed because I'm wasting my time on this frivolous claim. I've added photos to show my before and after of area where he's claiming damage.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Turo hands down is the worst customer service provided and can relate to any beta application out there! I’m sad to admit I rent cars for them with the highest ratings, 100% across their performance board yet I still have trash support! As a renter, I haven’t had any huge headaches but they treat their customers as if they are not part of the business, we are shareholders. I usually explain to people Turo is the Airbnb of car rental, but that’s false Airbnb is amazing. They should look at Airbnb and learn a thing or two. You cannot speak to a claims rep through the phone. Everything is via email yet they want you to submit all these information within 24 hours but they respond within 72 hours. It makes no sense. The insurance is trash as well! They do not cover anything.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Spent the last day of my trip trying to locate the car owner to find out return location. No luck. Turo's "help" was a suggestion to "leave the car in a safe location". Had to drop it at the airport parking, leave the keys outside, and made it to the gates 10 mins before closing. Attempts to get a credit for this last day from Turo failed. Worst car rental experience. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Well, recently I joined Turo and was excited to start my own renting service with Turo, well I bought a car Jetta on 21st of December listed it on the same day with premium insurance plan provided by Turo, since this plans covers exterior wear and tear stuff like scratches and the customer does. It will cover it. The excitement was that my car got rented on 24th of December with premium insurance with a cut f 35% of my earnings. I accepted it as at-least my car will be safe. Hence, after 2 days the renter returned my car in the evening and said it's a fine car. I was happy that everything went good after-all it's my first time renting.

I drove my car back inside the Garage and under the light and with a surprise as I was going back I saw scratches on back right side of car stretched to front door and corner of bonnet, it looked new scratches. I messaged the renter. He didn't replied. I clicked photographs at the moment and reported to Turo, according to Turo policy. Well, I was sure everything will be taken care since, Turo has a great record.

After an hour the renter replies and denies any problems occurred during his renting period. Hence, I replied everything is documented let's see what Turo decides; Well to my surprise I had a reply from Turo after 3 business days! With saying they want more pictures. I send them all, then they replied they want to have pictures with measurement. I send them those too. Then after 2 weeks these were their replies: With the declaration that I had those scratches before I rented, well if first of all the car was newly painted and polished second, while renting the renter clicked pics and there was no scratches on pics.

"We have reviewed the documentation you provided and believe that your claim may not qualify for coverage under our damage policy. The pre-trips uploaded are not clear enough to assess whether the damage is new. As you can see from our policy below, “pre-trip” photos are required for coverage in order for a claim to be eligible unless there is other documentation that proves the damage occurred during the reservation.

For Owners to qualify for physical damage coverage for any event that qualifies as a covered peril during the rental period, Turo must have the following documentation: (1) clear photo documentation of the areas the Owner is seeking coverage for taken within 24 hours of the start and end of the trip; or (2) Other evidence (e.g. a police report, 3rd party report) that confirms the damage took place during the trip. Let us know if you may have additional photos, other information that could help us provide coverage for your claim, or any questions. I will review all of the documentation and follow up in two business days with a final determination on coverage. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation." PS: If anybody wants images and all stuff I sent to Turo, please let me know, all are documented. I will be writing a blog about all this soon.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I purchased Turo Insurance that it's supposed to cover 100% if there is an accident. Someone went to my car, got an accident and wrecked the whole back end and trashed the inside. They gave me one form of the payments of what the damage is worth. When the collision repair place called nobody will return the call so I am unable to get my car fixed at this time. We have been calling to row with no success for three weeks now. My car is not drivable and it's unable to get repaired.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I had over a dozen successful rentals from Turo until they randomly put my account on hold for "periodical review." I sent them my documentation and they stated I needed to renew my ID as it was cosmetically damaged. There was only a tiny scratch on it and it could be read perfectly. This was a frivolous move on their part. I eventually got my new ID and they took two days to review, only to eventually say my membership is now declined and the decision is final and they will give no reason. I have never encountered such a miserable and staggeringly awful experience with a company.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

This company uses people for their own benefit. My vehicle was on corals website for a whole year and the rules never stated that if the vehicle was registered in New York that it wouldn't be eligible for insurance. I was told that if I lived in New Jersey and the car was based in New Jersey I can rent my vehicles out the whole entire time. People at Turo knew my license plates were New York license plates. They would give me refunds on tolls and everything and never raise a flag about New York plates the moment that someone destroys my vehicle and I make a complaint. I'm now no longer eligible for its Insurance because the car is registered in New York. All they kept doing is sending me emails about how sorry they are and how their customer service they focus on it.

I actually had someone to give me a call and I said to the young lady Turo knew my car has New York plates because in order to get reimbursement for tolls and tickets you have to give the license plate number. So for a whole year I was receiving my reimbursement and you guys were getting payday percentage for insurance from me and payment from me renting my vehicle the entire time so to me you agree that it was okay that my car was on your platform. And when customer service reps spoke to me on the phone about any reimbursement it never raised a red flag to them like, "Oh this car is registered in New York and has plates. It's not supposed to be on my platform". She stated because it's an online platform that it's really hard for them to see what vehicles are on the site. I said know when you verbally speak to people and when you request your reimbursement.

You have to put the car information which is license plate number and make and model of the vehicle so you guys knew. You guys were just going to keep using me until this situation happened to say I'm no longer eligible for your insurance to cover the damage that was done to my vehicle. She also sent me a link that talked about the rules and eligibility for insurance and as soon as I click on the link it says, "Your car cannot be a registered vehicle in New York City. Now that part was never on the site. I've asked questions from Turo coming to take professional pictures to the people on the phone before I signed up. It even allowed me to sign up with my license plates so they redid the website. They added this tool and the rules and now it says clear as day, "Your vehicle cannot be registered in New York City" so I wouldn't have eyes anyone to really deal with Turo.

Hopefully there's another way you can make a little extra money but Turo will definitely find a way of not reimbursing you. I've also had a problem with the client going over my mail and I have not received the money for that. They want a piece of everything even though you pay them a percentage of every time someone uses your vehicle. It's almost like a scam. They will use you until they can't use you anymore. I even told the lady, “You've been accepting my money so therefore you agreed to take me on this insurance” so I'm trying to find out if there's someone I can speak to higher upper person but they just keep sending emails and I think it's just people working from home.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Turo has a great concept. It's why I keep on renting from them even though I hate the company. Nonetheless, I would advice you to avoid using Turo's services. Out of the five times that I've rented from them, two times were seamless, one time was bad but we worked it out, and the other two times were terrible. During those two times, I believe they showed their true colors, which is that they could care less about you. They do nothing to make a situation right, except a meaningless conversation, where they reiterate how important customer service is to them. Their customer service is laughable and insulting. I absolutely hate this company. Please stay away from them.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Avoid this company. I reserved 4 different cars in the last week or so. I never actually got a car--the owners or Turo cancelled the cars for whatever reasons. But, Turo charged my credit card anyway. They did credit me for one car. But, they still owe me $707.40. I had to shred my card to stop these charges. Now if someone hacked their system and is using people's credit card information as the other reviewer stated that may be the problem. But, my bank is reversing all the unauthorized charges anyway. I would suggest not using Turo. If they are easily hacked, or if they are committing fraud it's all the same to me.

Turo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Turo is a car rental marketplace for travelers in the United States and Canada who can choose to rent cars from nearby owners. The company was founded in San Francisco in 2009.

• Car pickup or delivery: Most cars booked with Turo can be picked up, but owners may offer delivery service at their discretion.

• Insurance: Turo covers each car with liability insurance up to one million dollars. Extra insurance is available for renters to purchase.

• Security considerations: Cars listed on Turo must meet the company’s roadworthy requirements. Likewise, renters are screened through various profiles to ensure they will take care of their vehicles.

• Turo Valet: Turo Valets are set up at both SFO and LAX airports for travelers to pick up their reserved vehicles as soon as they get off their planes.

• Turo OpenRoad: Turo OpenRoad is a community of people dedicated to policy regarding peer-to-peer car sharing. Consumers can join the community to stay up to date on political regulation and other current issues that affect car sharing.

• Best for: Turo is best for vacationers in the United States and Canada who want to rent a specific car directly from the owner.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs