2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.32/5

Alamo Car Rental is a car rental agency with locations throughout the United States. Features include online check-in and discounts for Alamo Insiders members. With the Drive Happy app, customers can create and modify car rental reservations. The company also offers car seat rental, GPS navigation, Sirius XM and ski racks.

Alamo Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: May 24, 2020

Processed the rental from GSP airport in South Carolina. Transaction was smooth and efficient and supplied with a clean vehicle. Returned the vehicle one day earlier than booked and received credit for the day. All in all a very good experience and highly recommended.

Alamo Car Rental response

Clive, thanks for taking the time to share your great rental experience with us! We'll be sure to pass this compliment along to our GSP airport team. See you next time! - Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

The price was what they said it would be. The midsize SUV was a Mazda CX-5. Check out and check in was easy at Albany, NY. Very nice people for sure. We had vehicle for 8 days and drove nearly 1700 miles.

Alamo Car Rental response

Dave, thank you for your honest review. We're glad to hear we've earned your complete satisfaction. Take care! - Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Recently my family and I rented a Suburban from the Alamo at Denver International Airport. The rental agent, Chappy, was cheerful and chatty while he was looking up our reservation. When he found out that we were there because my mother, who is terminally ill with brain cancer, requested that we all meet one more time in our hometown of Frisco he was so kind and gave us a free upgrade to a new Escalade. The upgrade was amazing but Chappy’s kindness was so much more important. I will definitely rent from Alamo again.

Original review: July 21, 2019

I was left stranded with no car by Dollar Car Rental. I went to the National/Alamo counter at PIE and Tisha (Trish?) did an outstanding job at hooking me up. Beyond a better vehicle than I would have had at Dollar I paid less! I was frustrated with my poor experience at Dollar but Tisha really made up for it. She was so professional and friendly and had us on our way quickly in a beautiful vehicle. Thank you Tisha for a great experience!

Original review: June 30, 2020

The story is simple. I will be making a complaint to the EUROPEAN UNION CUSTOMER RIGHTS. My emails to Alamo customer service are answered only by automatic reply and I have not had contact with anyone capable of helping me. Alamo is taking advantage of their customers and have taken an unauthorized payment of over 1000Euros from me. I rented a car for ONE day at ROISSY CDG airport in Paris, France. I used it for less then 24hrs. I even went out of my way to return the car at 1am because I had an early flight the next day because I didn't want complications. But the next day, I received an email stating I returned the car damaged which is not true.

Alamo claimed there were damages on the car but I have not seen any report or any proof of this (and I know I did not damage the car) Alamo is unable to provide any proof of damage nor a report and I have asked by email several times with only an automated response. They said they would provide this report within 48hrs but never did. I have still not seen it and they still have my money in holding. If Alamo treats their customers like this THE WHOLE WORLD SHOULD KNOW. I rented a car for one day for 40Euros and at the end of the day I am charged 1250Euro without my own knowledge or proof of damage. As a worldwide brand what a disgrace. Alamo is an unethical business! Just check their Facebook page and Instagram. I did and it's only bad reviews!

Alamo Car Rental response

Francis, we'd like to address this with you directly. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: June 13, 2020

We rented a car from Alamo, our flight time was changed out of our control, Alamo would not work with us, they charged us another 58.00 dollars because we did not have the car back for an extra 2 hours. We called them and told them our flight was changed. They did not care. I will never rent from Alamo again. Do not rent from this company they will not work with you.

Alamo Car Rental response

Dean, it's never our intention to inconvenience a valued customer. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: June 12, 2020

I am very disturbed after doing business with Alamo and must let others know to be VERY VERY cautious if you ever rent with this company. I rented a vehicle through Hotwire, Friday-Monday, June 5-8. I called to extend my rental by three days on June 08, 2020 and during the call I was quoted almost $200 for the extra three days and I reiterated the amount of time of the extension, the rate, as well made sure the price given was the TOTAL price for all 3 days and asked the representative to confirm which he did. I also asked for something to be sent to me showing my extension and new rate and total to which he told me he cannot send me anything.

Today, June 11, 2020 I called to extend the car by one more day and was told I owe almost $900! When asked why the agent said it’s because I extended the rental and continued using that as the reason for my balance so I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor got on the phone then told me my rate for 3 days was almost $400 and she doesn’t know why the last rep was telling me the rate of almost $900. I then told her the rate I was quoted when I called as well as the going rate for those day per Alamo’s app and website then asked her to have the call pulled to which she said it would but not tonight due to the manager not being available and someone would have to follow up with me.

My issue is this company is baiting and switching and charging exorbitant prices to RENT a car! $800+ is a two month car note and I would NEVER agree to those prices. I wouldn’t even agree to pay almost $400 for a three day rental and I do not appreciate being baited and switched then not able to escalate the issue and get a resolution BEFORE returning the vehicle and having my card charged! I will NEVER EVER do business with Alamo again and I will tell everyone about my horrendous experience with Alamo.

Alamo Car Rental response

Kia, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Alamo.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. Thank you! - Carol H.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I am a physician from Toronto but am currently working in a rural town to help with COVID relief. I rented a car from Alamo (Toronto Pearson Airport location) to get to and from the town safely. I am needed in the town longer than originally planned, but Alamo was not able to extend my rental beyond the 28 day period while honouring the same rate. Now I am forced to drive back to Toronto just to return the vehicle and rent a car from a different company (who was able to offer a similar rate I was originally paying for the rental). I was really hoping Alamo could understand the situation I am in but instead I feel extremely unsupported. This is the first and last time I will be using their services.

Alamo Car Rental response

J.P., thank you for your feedback. I assure you that it's never our intention to inconvenience you. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: May 12, 2020

After I returned a rented minivan I was contacted by Alamo claiming I broke the roof rack. I didn’t even know it had a roof rack. They said I should have checked the roof rack prior to taking the vehicle. It’s on top of the car!! I can’t check the entire roof rack. Come on Alamo. Are you that desperate...

Alamo Car Rental response

J, we appreciate it when customers tell us about their experiences and assure you that it's never our intention to inconvenience our customers. Please reach out to us at Care@Alamo.com at your earliest convenience with the details above, your claims, and rental agreement number, the exact rental office location, and your contact information. Thank you. - Carol H.

Original review: April 2, 2020

This is my third reservation with Alamo insincerity’s Miami international airport, my reservation number was ** for 11 days. So, when I came to the location I had the worst situation and experience possible. The manager and the worker were rude and disrespectful to me and to my children. This all began because the worker in front of the manager was taking ride and could not properly explain why there is a blue line and why I can’t step over it.

After that the manager began to protect his worker and while doing so raked in Spanish so that I would not understand him. When I asked them to talk in English the manager replied in a rude fashion, “Listen to me carefully. I don’t need to rent you a car. You need a car and I have the power and authority to cancel the reservation without consulting with me, and I don’t need your approval.” After he stated that he threw at me my drivers license and credit card and canceled my reservation and stated also, “I will never rent you a car, go find another place to rent. Goodbye”. But for your information thanks to that situation I went to Enterprise, who gladly took 500$ for 11 day rental. With a smile on the manager and workers face, and have the best experience they could. And now because of this whole situation I will never rent from Alamo again and furthermore will not ever recommend this rental company to anyone.

Alamo Car Rental response

YELENA, we appreciate it when customers tell us about their experiences, especially at these busy locations. We'd like to speak with you further. Please email care@alamo.com with the complete details include your contact telephone number and email address, and rental agreement or reservation numbers. Thank you. –Carol H.

Alamo Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.

• Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.

• Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.

• Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.

• Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information