1.64/5
  • 1 star
Based on 84 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 13, 2017

671 Alamo Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I had quoted and done a reservation at ALAMO website, and when I arrived at ALAMO at Miami Airport, the salesman at front desk told me I had to contract a car insurance because it was mandatory. It has costed me almost twice price of car rental! I sent several contacts unsuccessfully! They do not care!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

My wife and I rented a Chevy Equinox at BWI airport on November 30, 2017 and returned the vehicle on December 3, 2017. While in Maryland, we brought and used our Garmin GPS and inadvertently left the GPS unit in the vehicle, when we turned the vehicle in. No one at Alamo at BWI has located our GPS and they were notified the same day we returned to Florida. We are now out approximately $150.00, so that we can replace our GPS. The dishonesty at Alamo is unconscionable and should not be tolerated. We will never use Alamo again, as they would not answer their telephone when we called and only responded days later to our email.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

It is unfortunate that they have been getting bad reviews, but I've had nothing but great experiences with them. We reached DFW at 5 am and was processed in and out immediately. Had no issues. Once we returned there was additional charges on my card. I called DFW customer service and was taken care of right away. They saw the charges and were able to refund me without any issues. Will definitely work with them again.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I was stuck at the ATL airport!!! And after being turned down by another car rental company the manager Elise was very professional and empathized with my situation. She was able to accommodated every one of my needs and get me on my way home. I will only be using Alamo from here forward. Thank you so much for your help in my stressful situation.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

When we got our rental car at Tampa International Airport there our lot was dimly lit. We were told to pick out our car, which consisted of 2 options. However, the main goal of this car was to get us to where we were staying 40 minutes away. So we got in the car. Although there were employees walking around, no one walked around the car with us. We went to the exit and she scanned the number and off we drove. At that point we should have stopped because the steering wheel had sticky goobers all over it and once we got in some form of daylight we noticed the ceiling looked like a massacre quite possibly went down in the previous rental. There were spots you could tell were scrubbed away, but other spots were very visible.

We just wanted to get to our condo and relax so we drove on. Parked the car, which is in a covered parking lot with a pillar on the driver's side. Pulled car in, popped trunk. Didn't even look at the keys until we went to go home. Pull into the now extremely BRIGHT parking garage. Instantly the employee asked what did we hit? Apparently, if you got down on your knees with a flashlight, you could see a long scrape along the bottom panel of the car. We drove NOWHERE. If we hit that we would have known and there was no way it was from any other car because it was so slow to the ground. So, enter Claudia. I will say in my 30 years of dealing with people and traveling the country between my husband's work and mine I have NEVER met anyone that is so unprofessional and condescending. Here are the things she (at first) told us...

1. She said that they were understaffed and couldn't possibly look over every car as it goes out of the lot (although, there were a few standing around doing nothing and not to mention only 1 way to get out). 2. We obviously were going to the airport to catch our flight so my friend asked what would happen if we just walked away right now and called back with information and she informed us that she would be sent to collections. 3. She gave us a number to call to get the driver's insurance info, but since it was Sunday they were closed. My friend explained that she will get the insurance on Monday and call back. However, on the report she wrote that the "customer refused to give insurance". She asked to have that wording changed and the manager at the time (Justin) said that he is unable to change the wording.

4. She told us to our faces that she believes we would sit there and lie about hitting something. Which in the grand scheme of things the cost will probably be close to $500 and why in the world would we risk missing the flight of four of us which was well over $800. 5. I informed her that I will never shop at Alamo again and she just rolled her eyes and said "that's fine, you can do whatever you want to do". Which is true, but obviously not something you should tell your customers. So then we asked to talk to the manager, and he came out. We started explaining the conversations that we had and she just instantly was defending what she is now saying she did NOT say.

After reading just a few of these reviews I can see that that is just how Alamo works and they don't care because there is always fools that will get their cars. Now we are waiting a week for the claims report to come back from them stating the extent of the damage after they do a examination and look at video cameras to see if the cameras can see the marks on the car before we had it. So, unless you are looking for a completely LOUSY way to end your vacation and wanting to get victimized and talked down to in a rental car garage I suggest you take your business elsewhere. It will be worth the extra money you spend to stay away from these condescending thieves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Picked up car at 9:30M 10/14/17 with 2-day rental. Due to flight cancellation returned car early 10/15/17 at 7:30AM. Called Alamo asking about credit. Was told it would take 4-5 days & was given amount of credit. After 1 week called Alamo. Told to call Expedia who called Alamo who claimed no record of our call. Expedia explained policy says no credit given if returned early with 2-day rental. Asked where that was written. Was told "somewhere". It is not written on our rental agreement. Everything else was fine, but disappointed in Alamo for lack of info on their agreement & claiming no record of our call. Expedia just shrugged. Forewarned for next trip.

Resolution response: Nov. 22, 2017

Thank-you Carol and Alamo management. The incident has been rectified in a professional and fair manner. I must say there was a high level of commitment from upper level staff at Alamo--they listened to my story in earnest and getting things resolved promptly. I couldn't ask for a more honest and transparent response. Thank-you!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

We received a vehicle with numerous damages and poor mechanical maintenance at Alamo at LAX location. The vehicle was a high mileage, Chevrolet Traverse which I asserted at the airport employee, had damage and scuffs all over the vehicle, however, there was no inspection or walk around despite my claim. I took proper care of the vehicle and ensured it was returned in the exact fashion I received it. I have time proofed pictures to prove previous damage. This car was not taken care of inside and out, (interior was also missing floor mats and smelled musty) and it should not have been on the lot to begin with.

The manager at Alamo said to us that we would hear from them within 7 days and if not, everything is okay. However it took weeks until we received a claim letter that requested our insurance policy and/or credit card number without a claim amount attached. I am beyond frustrated with Alamo. Lastly, the manager at this particular location was extremely rude and aggressive when I inquired about proper vehicle proper maintenance schedules. She simply repeated, "I've doing this for 15 years," over and over again. Which is simply irrelevant to the facts on hand.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I am writing this review to warn potential Alamo customers against the tactics of Alamo staff in the San Francisco airport. First he tried to sell me an upgrade over my original booking. I told him it is only me and I do not need a bigger car but he saw that I have three bags and he kept going about the more expensive upgrade. Then he tried to sell the liability insurance. I told him my credit card covers me. He went on warning me that this credit card (I have this card for more than 20 years) insurance is useless. I refused the insurance but when he gave the form to sign. Luckily I noticed more than $110 increase in the bill. When I inquired he said for the insurance. I told him once again I do not need it.

Then he started lecturing how easy it is to be in accidents and how this insurance will save me a lot when (not if) I get into accidents. At any rate, he had to reprint the form without the insurance and repeating again that he warned me and I did not listen. This took place at around 10:30 PM after a 10 hours flight and I was really tired. Because of his tactics It took me more than 15 minutes to get the car... which is normally around 5-7 minutes with other car rental companies. He made me feel that I am bound to be in trouble when (not if) I get into accident without Alamo additional insurance.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Upon arriving at car rental there was a wait because no cars were available. The transaction occurred, I asked the clerk at the desk if I could pay cash instead of putting it on my card. She said yes, handed me keys... Off I went. Returning the car, I was told my card had been charged. I explained I had paid upon taking possession of the vehicle. I was told it would be reviewed. After I returned home I learned my card had been charged. I CONTACTED THE AIRPORT POLICE.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Called to inquire about driving around LA freeways and all the various toll charges and ensuing Alamo fees. The service person SUCKED. She didn't really care, didn't express any type of apologetic tone, didn't offer up a solution and basically flipped a switch in my brain where I will never call Alamo for the rest of my time on Earth.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Reserved a car from Alamo's Ontario, CA airport location for 10/26/17. Flight was due to arrive shortly before closing, so I called in advance to make sure they'd still be open. I was assured that they ask for flight numbers to make sure to stay open for late customers. Flight was early, I arrived before closing, yet Alamo was closed. Many on the flight also had Alamo reservations and were also stranded late at night. I called Alamo's 800 number to see what my options were, and that rep was absolutely no help. Rented from Hertz at double the price. They said Alamo routinely lies to late flight customers.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I feel like I was railroaded at service counter on October 4 2017. The counter person made us get a much bigger rental car than we booked. He said our luggage wouldn't fit and didn't even let us see if it would fit. Also I didn't see many sedans available and they put us in a SUV. He acted like he was doing me a favor. We felt stranded at the airport. What else could we do? I haven't rented a car in 10 years. My wife and son just wanted to get to a hotel. After all the fees I paid double the price I booked it for.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

GAVIN FROM ORLANDO INTERNATIONAL - Absolutely horrible. Will NEVER book again. The manager gave us false information! All the idiots at the counter barely speak English. Long story short I missed my buddy's deployment. Thanks **!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I picked up a rental vehicle from Alamo at DFW Airport that I had prepaid for. When completing the paperwork the agent pointed out that I had forgotten to initial a section on the contract, so I scribbled my initials and handed it back to her. Turns out she was directing me to sign up for the extended protection plan, which costs $13.99 a day. Now, I should have been paying attention so that's on me, but I had just flown in from a long day of traveling and was jet-lagged, and I feel the agent took advantage of that by being all "Oh, you forgot to sign this part, too!" as though it were something mandatory and had to be signed in order to get the car. I had gone with the prepay gas option and for an economy car (which I had reserved) it was $21; the agent then gave me a free upgrade to a full-sized car without telling me that the cost of a prepaid full tank would go up to $33.48.

I only found this out after I was charged an additional $82.32 the day after I returned the vehicle. I had only used half a tank so I ended up wasting quite a bit of money on gas, in addition to the forty bucks for the extended protection that I was directed to sign up for. If Alamo is going to offer free upgrades they need to let the customer know that that will also increase the cost of the prepaid gas. I feel the agent, although quite nice and helpful, engaged in questionable tactics to maximize the amount of money the company got out of me; an $80 rental ended up costing me twice that after all was said and done. That being said, I will not be renting with Alamo again; although none of this was illegal, it was still unethical and sneaky, and I believe their agents capitalize on airport pickup customers being tired/jet lagged and take advantage of that.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I was overcharged for car rental. After I called several times and stayed on the phone for long time they admitted the overcharge and promised to send me a check for the amount of 130 dollars. But they never did. They changed their word and said I have to get my refund from Orbitz and Orbitz said I have to get from Alamo. They didn't even respond my credit card company when I disputed. Never do business with Alamo and Orbitz.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Rented vehicle at Alamo in Burbank. Reported damage to front of car to person who showed us to car. They told us person at gate would document the damage. Reported the damage to the person at the gate. He said he noted it and let us out of gate. We did not receive anything from him! On returning they noted damage to car. I told them my story and they looked in file, damaged was not noted! Thank goodness we had the extra insurance! What a scam! Do not drive out of the gate without documentation that shows damage to your car. Beware!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I recently rented a car from Alamo for 3 days. Upon picking up the car, not a soul came out of the building to do a check of the car. I noticed a very small gap on the front bumper, but did not think it important. After driving the car to work the next morning, I noticed that the gap had widened a little. The next afternoon, I informed the agent that the bumper appeared to be falling off the car and said I would return it early. I did so. The agent upon return glanced at it, said, "These cars do that, they don't have good clips, so they have to be replaced. No big deal."

I never hit anything with the car, never ran through a pothole or anything else. Now they send me photos of damage to the car that was not present when I returned the car and they expect me to pay for it!! DO NOT RENT FROM THESE PEOPLE AT ALAMO!!! THIS IS A SCAM!! They are trying to get me to pay for someone else's damage, maybe even on a different car!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Just received an invoice from Enterprise Holdings, Tulsa, OK for $323 in non-rental charges. Had I been told of these charges at the rental desk when I paid for this rental, I would have refused all these services. This is either a rip-off to increase company profits, or a total scam. All charges were: damage waiver, roadside service plan, PAI (?), and Extended Protection. When I rented, I paid (charged to my credit card) and was paid in full. Upon return, no one in office, just told to drop off the keys - which I did. Address on return envelope for my "payment" PO Box 402345, Atlanta, GA 30384-2345. Make checks payable to EAN Services, LLC at same address. Inquiries 800 774 7578. I have not called, I am too angry to call. It wouldn't be productive.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I rented a vehicle while visiting Chicago, lL. The Alamo agent suggested the option to prepay for tolls, which required daily fees. I had turned it down since I was not travelling around areas that required too many tolls during my stay. Recently I received a letter of a toll that I did not paid, which was paid by Alamo. 1.50 toll with 14.00 fee. I strongly suggest that you choose the so called convenience fee when renting a car in that airport. If not they will bill you <400%. Not sure if Alamo gets a cut of the fees. This is not a convenience fee, rather a must have for when you return the car. FYI, the unmanned is the only booth when entering the airport to return the car.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I came to rent a car from Alamo Car Rental in Los Angeles and when I left halfway to my destination I get a flat tire. My boyfriend ends up changing to a spare tire and driving back to Alamo to change the car. After we changed the car we came home and I realized I left my wallet, passport, checkbook, and all my important documents in the car in a Ziploc bag. We drove back to the car rental again and went to see if anyone returned anything... the answer was no.

We went to look for the car to make sure the car was cleaned out. Not even ONE HOUR they had the tires changed, cleaned, and MOVED to another car rental lot called National! They have thousands our cars but they were in some rush to get rid of our car as fast as possible. We found the car but still nothing in it. Now they tell me that they don't have my stuff and they can't do anything about it! How is that possible?

They are responsible and they are thieves. How can you rent a car without being able to trust them? Don't rent at Alamo. They are thieves and they will take advantage of you and take no responsibility for their employees. I know they stole my stuff and won't give it back knowing exactly who worked on my car and who actually took it. They need to take responsibility and fix this problem or I will make sure that everyone knows what a scamming car company they truly are!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I am a recent customer of your Alamo operation. I have rented 100s of car over my 48 year career, from many different companies but never have I had an experience as I did with my rental from you. I picked up my rental on 8/20/17 at your location in Anaheim CA. and on 8/21/17 began my long awaited vacation driving to Las Vegas. Nice car, nice ride. Arrived in Las Vegas parked the car in the hotel parking structure where it remained until about 5:30pm the next evening. My wife and I had dinner and show reservations, went the car and it would not start, we were surprised and annoyed but mechanical failures happen. Had to find a taxi, which took longer than we hope so we missed dinner. After the show we took a taxi back to our hotel.

From our room I call the roadside assistance number in hopes of arranging an early morning swap or other assistance. Was told they could only arrange for a jump start but I should call back in the morning and, by the way there will be a 70 dollar charge. I am a little upset now but decided to just wait till morning and call AAA a reliable source for roadside help. They came quickly and saw the problem. The battery was covered with corrosion, the cables were caked with corrosion. The technician had a difficult time but was able to get the car started and test the battery, it had to be replaced and would not restart the car again.

As I said we drove from Anaheim to Las Vegas, Then drove about 12 mile to a restaurant for dinner, then back to the hotel. The car had only enough fuel to go +/- 40 miles. I was on the phone to the roadside helpline explained my situation after a search gave me address where I will pick up my replacement car. Drove to the location, which was an Enterprise desk in a hotel lobby, to find they did know I was coming and they purportedly had no cars to replace mine. All the time the car is running, I turned off the AC to conserve fuel and began the longest phone tag session I had had in many years. By this time the binder questions by the agent were getting to be irritating. Started the call and had several disconnects so some back and forth. The agent said he would search, I asked to call the desk of the location to ensure there was a car.

After 3 more callbacks the agent informs me that the only car your company, the biggest with the largest inventory in the industry in Las Vegas could get me is a 15 passenger van! I am an 79 year old retire marketing and CRM executive, my wife is a few years younger, we are sitting in car about to run out of gas, no AC and you offer a this or nothing offer of a replacement 15 passenger van. I asked the agent, "Is this some kind of sick joke." I then said, "I am going to replace the poorly maintained battery and I want to know how I get reimbursed for the expense," he said I have to talk to my supervisor, several minutes later he said she said they cannot authorize the reimbursement, I asked to speak to the supervisor who said she could not authorize the purchase of a new battery.

It is now 11:25am, three hours into the ordeal caused by your lack of proper maintenance. If anyone looked at the car between rentals and did not the corrosion on the battery of test a battery on a 2016 model heavy electric using car should not be in the business., I purchased the new battery, had installed. Elapsed time 6 hours on Tuesday and 3 hour on Monday. I finally spoke to a Louisa at the 800 number for the Anaheim location, she told was not in the Anaheim but she noted the file so that I would get reimbursed.

Your company with many employees. If you cannot empower them to make decision based on the situation to help a customer then you are seeking failure. The lack of maintenance caused and my wife unacceptable levels of stress ruining a long planned for vacation. Expenses we should not have had and overall dislike for your company.

The choice for vehicle transportation are broad and wide.The traveling public can UBER from the airport, MAVEN from the hotel to their business meeting and ZIPCAR to dinner. Lots of choice over the car rental option. You're the biggest in the industry so why worry this old guys rent twice a year, we don't need him. Your poor maintenance could have put mine and wife’s life in danger. What if when we arrived in Las Vegas we chose to visit Red Rock Park, stopped in one of those away from the road spots and the car would not start in the 18 degree sun, what then? What will you do, in all likelihood nothing. But my options are still open to me.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Rented a car here in the US, through Expedia.com to be picked-up at the Liszt Ferenc Int. Airport in Budapest at a predetermined price which included the rental fee and all taxes and fees. This was clearly spelled out in the rental agreement. Upon picking up the car the final fees were kind of difficult to determine because they have charged a large security deposit on my credit card, because I've declined the exorbitantly high additional accident protection insurance, and I have the feeling that the invoice is not designed to be easily understood.

To make things even more confusing they first charged everything in the nation's official currency the Hungarian Forint and then immediately converted this amount to Euros. When asked why they are doing this, the response from the counter clerk was; "I do not know, everybody in the car rental industry here does this so." Upon returning the car the receiving clerk examined the car for accidental damage with surgical precision. Unfortunately for me, somebody, probably during the last few days of my rental must have touched the right front corner of the bumper, leaving a few barely visible scratches in the paint. Needless to say nobody left me a note regarding this incident. Therefore I didn't even notice the damage. I was informed that the damage will be examined and I will receive an e-mail regarding the extra cost.

After 5 days not having received this e-mail I've tried to contact the agency on the phone w/o success. So I went to their office at the Airport, requesting an invoice spelling out the total cost. The invoice I've received is very complicated, charging several extra taxes and fees and again first they charged in Hungarian Forint and then transferred those amounts into Euro. First; they have overcharged me for the actual rental with approx. $48.-, secondly the charge for the barely visible paint scratch was $829.-.

Seeing the rental overcharge I've showed the clerk my original rental agreement, stating that all taxes and fees are included in the quoted price. Also I've tried to talk to her about the very high charge for the minor accidental damage. Her response to everything was that she cannot do anything, because she is just a low level employee here. Upon this, I've requested to talk to his boss. She said that the boss is not here until later and she cannot reach him, but she promised that upon his return her boss will call me. This never happened. The next morning, prior to boarding my plane to return home I went by at the Alamo office again, same thing; different clerk, no boss present.

Following my return home I first contacted Expedia.com regarding the $48.- overcharge; first I was offered an Expedia.com coupon worth $48.- against any future travel expenses. I refused this and after a lengthy bargaining session with a supervisor I was told that maybe I might receive an actual monetary reimbursement, if I provide the required documents for the case and wait until a determination will be done that I am entitled to a reimbursement, although the original Expedia.com rental agreement asks if there were any overcharges and offers reimbursement if it was so. So much for this.

As to the $829.- damage charge; first I thought that the extra travel insurance I've purchase prior to the trip will provide coverage. Not so. The only remaining hope for a reimbursement for this is the VISA supplemental insurance, as I've used my Visa card for this rental. Again, I provided all the necessary documents for my case, as requested and now I am waiting for their evaluation and remaining hopeful.

The lesson from all this; BUYER BEWARE! In my opinion in some European countries - Hungary is definitely one of those - the rental operators, even though they are franchisees of mostly US rental car companies, operate as this would be the "lawless (old) Wild West" probably without their franchisors being aware of their dishonest methods of doing business, or if they are aware of this, they do not care.

The result; a customer like me will have to provide the necessary time and effort to find a possible redress, if any. While the crooked local car rental operator continues to do his business undisturbed using questionable methods and taking advantage of the mostly foreign travelers, who arrive at the Airport jet lagged and have among others a language disadvantage and are unfamiliar with the local customs, therefore they are easy pickings. I respectfully request Alamo Corp. to investigate and control their foreign franchisees, that their operations will use the same methods as the mother company uses here in the US.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

We rented a car last minute online due to a death in the family and our son moving out of state. Our flight was delayed 3 hours, we called Alamo directly. "Mark" told us no problem he will wait for us to get into town and to call him when we landed. We called him and told him we were getting off the plane. He said he will wait for us and would get our reservation ready (type of car and everything). We arrived and no one was at the Alamo stand. We never used our rental we reserved and paid for with American Express. This was Merchandise we were billed for and never received. We will never use Alamo again and make sure the University our son teaches at knows All About Alamo.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I would just like to say how disappointed I am with what happened at collection of my car at Alimo Las Vegas. I booked a Ford Mustang for our drive from Las Vegas to Denver with "FULL" cover for insurance. Arrival at collection point I was handed the keys to a awesome white Ford Mustang 7XGL372. When I got to the checkout point I was stopped and told by a lady "Lisa" or "Louise" that the Mustang was 9000mil over service and that I can't take the car. I was shocked that that was the case. Looked like a new car and I have booked months in advance. Then one hold up after the next and they provided me with this really old Ford Mustang full of bumps, scratches and even the front bumper was loose. I refused to take the vehicle and was really upset and told the lady I will not pay for any damages and neither will they use my "full cover" to fix the car when I get to Denver.

They then offered me a Chevrolet Camaro that I accepted because we were on a very tight traveling schedule and I had enough of all the farting around. Driving from Las Vegas to Denver we went thru Colorado. All the dashboard lights turned off while I was driving. No electronics worked. The sun roof did not work either. We were stranded in the middle of nowhere. Phoning Alamo it was just one answering voicemail after the next and I gave up. I got everything fixed the last day before we gave the car back in Denver. I logged a complaint but have had no word from them. Also DO NOT take extra gas/petrol tank included. Total rip off... Tank of petrol was $50 and they charge me $100. Please note that I will inform the insurance company that it is possible Alamo Las Vegas tried to use my insurance to repair damage on another car as well. I will put this online on Trip Advisor and few other places.

Alamo Car Rental response

Marius, it is never our intention to inconvenience a customer. We would like to have the opportunity to look into this concern for you. Please send us a detailed email to ehiescalationscc@mailca.custhelp.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

On Monday August 31st, my wife and I flew from Toronto to Chattanooga TN. We had reserved a car from Alamo to be picked up at the airport. We're planning to drive north, about an hour, to see the total eclipse. When we arrived at the airport, we discovered that Alamo ignored our reservation and had no cars. They had overbooked. No one else in the city had cars either. The folks at Hertz told us that Alamo overbooked horribly and left 40 people or so stranded. Our trip was ruined. The eclipse was an hour's drive away and there was no way to get there outside of a very expense taxi ride there and back. The people at the Alamo desk were not sympathetic -- they just told us that lots of people were in the same position. They offered no compensation. They just wanted us to go away. That was our experience with Alamo Car Rental.

Resolution response: Aug. 27, 2017

Alamo refunded us for the upgrade.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

My husband went to visit his daughter in Florida July 5th, he rented a car through Alamo, (Alamo is the rental company that we always use.) I had two upgrade emails from Alamo stating that I have a FREE upgrade. We rented a Hyundai, they did not have the car that we reserved so they gave him an Altima, when he went to turn the car in on July 10th, they charged him $133.00 for the upgrade, 1st of all they didn't have what we reserved, 2nd I had two emails with free upgrades. My husband showed them both emails. I sent Alamo the paperwork showing that I should have not paid the $133.00. Never heard anything back from Alamo. As far as I am concerned Alamo stole $133.00 from us. We usually go on vacation twice a year, always renting a car.

I would advise anyone reading this not to rent from Alamo, they are thieves, no customer service. When my husband went to turn the car in, about 4 blocks from the airport, he carried two suitcases, he is 70 years old, they refused to drive him to the airport. What kind of people are these. Like I said please DO NOT rent from Alamo.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Booked a rental car from LAX through rentalbooking.com. When checking in, Alamo were very keen to sell an upgrade car, claiming that the car I booked was not big enough - although there were only 2 of us traveling. They originally wanted $35 a day extra but eventually charged $25 a day extra. Another colleague at work today said he had a similar experience with Alamo. Something to be aware of when traveling to the US.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Alamo Car Rental Services were very kind to me recently in providing a refund in good faith of our original agreement. They provide prompt, efficient and cheerful service at the Aspen airport. And in Denver, Alamo addressed our concerns cheerfully and with consideration of our travel needs. In our dealing with the gentleman who granted the refund, he was prompt, considerate and ultimately very kind. In all aspects of our experience with Alamo, the service was top flight. Alamo is a company that stands by its word and honors its customers. It deserves business and loyalty.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I rented a car from Alamo through Orbitz.com. When I arrived in Charlotte on July 27. I was told I could not rent the car because I had a SC DL and a debit card. I showed the man at the counter my return flight information. He refused to release the car. I asked what's the requirements when using a debit card because everyone does not own credit cards. He said proof of a return flight, which I provided. I was stranded at the airport for hours and missed an important event. The other car rental companies did not have any cars available on site.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

June of 2017 rented a car from Alamo. The night before I returned car I stayed one mile away from Kansas airport where I rented the car. It hailed that evening, but did not note anything on car. Returned car next morning and Alamo representative walked around the rental car and said "You're good to go." 2 weeks later receive notice in mail that I owed them over $2,600 for hail damage. I explained that their employee checked the car and said I was good to go and considering they knew that it had hailed the night before they should have pointed out any and all damage the morning I returned the car. I asked for pictures of the damage, but the pictures they sent did not show any damage... Just circles where supposedly there was damage. I was unable to enlarge the pictures. They threatened me that if I did not pay it that they would damage my credit report. I will never rent from Alamo again.

Alamo Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.

• Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.

• Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.

• Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.

• Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information