Alamo Car Rental

886people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Alamo Car Rental:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

They are complete thieves, and seem to be getting away with it. I paid for the same car twice (yes, maybe I'm stupid!) but I needed a car, and then they found a second technicality to refuse me the car!! The desk staff were unhelpful (Geneva Airport) - no one from management would speak to me, and 4 weeks to the day on I have not had a reply to my written complaint to Customer Service. Book at your peril!!!

While trying to reserve a SUV in San Francisco for a week, I figured I would sign up for their Insiders to get additional discount on my rental. I started my search and found a 1-week rental at a great price of $286 all included. When I tried to reserve it, it ended up timing out. I tried again and it did the same thing. I figured they were having issues on their end and I would try again tomorrow. Tomorrow came and I tried again in the morning. I found that the rental price went from $286 to $430 for that same time frame. I called and then emailed Alamo and told them what happened and they basically said too bad so sad.

I have been looking for the past 2 weeks and cannot find a cheaper rate. So I decided I would book with Alamo at that $430 rate knowing I would get an additional 5% off for Insiders. So I tried to book it and it wasn't taking off the 5%. I emailed once again and they said there was an issue and they are working on it for me. Still haven't heard back and now the rental is up to $457. What a bunch of bs this is.

I booked a rental car through Priceline. The provider was Alamo at the DCA airport. I called Alamo and told them I would need a car to hold two adults and two large suitcases and was assured that was no problem. Then I was notified that I had a Kia Rio or similar car. Again, I called and was told it would be straightened out at the airport. When I arrived to pick up the car, I was told it was not big enough, and I was charged another fee for a larger car. The car was great, and while the extra cost was an issue, we enjoyed the car. When I returned it, tank full, car clean, I was charged another $173. I didn't want to miss the flight home, and no one could tell me what the fee was.

I called Priceline and was told they would straighten it out. I called Alamo and was told it was a mistake and the amount would be returned in 3 business days. Ten dates later, it hasn't been returned, and no one at Alamo or Priceline can tell me what the charge was for or why it was charged when I returned the car. I called Priceline today and was yelled at by the woman who took the call. I was told that if they charged me, I owed the money and had better pay it. The one bright spot was that when one of the workers at the car return saw us struggling with luggage and medical devices and told us to wait as he would take us to the terminal. He did so and helped us with the luggage.

Last month I rent a car from Alamo and it took me getting in and out of 3 different car styles to finally find a car that was working as expected. The car I ended up with was a downgrade from what I paid for. When I returned the car they noticed a ding on the bumper which I had to explain I was not responsible for and that the issues I had getting a car that didn't have a flat tire or had a working USB. I would a least expect Alamo to have a record of all dings a day scratches on their vehicles.

The second issue is with the cleanliness of there cars. I didn't notice how gross the interior when I got the car as my flight was late and I was tired. Today I returned the car that had stains all on the inside. Gross!! I can't have business colleagues in that category. I did inform them of this on return. Also there were no mats.

When I made a reservation for a car to be picked up in Boston, I chose the compact car or larger rate, and they pick the size according to what is available at pickup time. The guaranteed compact size only was $20 more for the week. When I arrived at the counter to get the car, they told me there was only a pickup truck available. It was never explained when I agreed to the "and larger" vehicle that it included trucks. I needed to transport 4 people and all the luggage. It was raining and I could not put the luggage outside in the back of a truck, even if I could use a pickup truck the gas mileage would be horrible.

I explained this to the counter person who was rude and basically blew me off saying that was what I had agreed to. She had no answer when I asked why they didn't specify that trucks were included in the promotion. I told them I could not use a truck, that I needed a car. She said I could have a car but it would cost me $89 more. I said no and asked for a refund on my already charged credit card. I was told I'd have to take that up with corporate.

She refused to let me speak with a supervisor, and then said she could give me a car for $49 more. She again had no answer when I said "if you have the car to give me at a higher price, why can't you give it to me at the price I contracted for." I took the car because I had to leave and didn't want to pay for the car twice and then have to deal with the hassle of trying to get a refund later. The rental ended up costing me $400 for a week, the same amount as my flight from Florida to Boston. I looked up what that rental would cost me for this week (2 days after my week ended) and it was $223. How can a week make that much difference?

When I went to pick up the car, the agent in the garage had no idea what the counter person did. He didn't even know what car to give me. He eventually said "oh, just take that car over there," which was a Chrysler 200. The car was filthy, the seats were all stained, I had to stop the car to clean the inside of the windshield because it had horrible glare because it was so dirty, and there were papers on the floor. This car had obviously never been cleaned when it was last returned. I will never rent from Alamo again! You shouldn't either.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

I have just returned from Orlando where I had pre-booked a car through my travel agent. When getting to the desk to pick up my car I was told that the car I had pre-booked would not be big enough for 2 adults and 2 children plus four cases. If you look at some of the other reviews this appears to be a recurring theme. I was convinced by the lady behind the desk that I should take a bigger model for the two week holiday so paid the upgrade ($350) and went to pick up the car in the garage. She also offered me a sat nav so I could find my way round Orlando. No mention was made at this point about the sat nav costing me money and thought that this was part of the upgrade as they had no cars with a built in sat nav. Having waited 20 minutes I was approached by the manager and told that the SUV I had just upgraded to was not available so he gave me a complimentary upgrade.

When approaching this new upgrade the car I had been convinced to upgrade to was parked next to the car I was now being offered! In the event I took the complimentary upgrade and went to exit the garage. Driving round to the exit I noticed the model of car I had pre-booked. It was a Dodge Grand Caravan (think Ford Galaxy on a few steroids) which is amply big enough for a family of 4. However I was in a rush to collect the keys to the villa so left the garage and drove to pick up the keys and on to the villa. In the morning I went back to Orlando airport and downgraded to the car I had pre-booked. The guys in the garage could not have been more helpful and they refunded my $350 that I had paid for the upgrade.

At that point a new invoice was provided which explained I could return the car empty and it was covered by the "fuel service option". First thing... you don't need this and it will be cheaper for you to refuel before returning the car (it will be cheaper). On returning home I checked my credit card bill and found a charge of $221 rather than the $66 I was expecting. I then phoned Alamo and explained that at no time was I told the sat nav would be an extra cost (I was expecting this for free as Alamo couldn't offer me a car with a built in sat nav). To be fair Alamo did, eventually, return this money to my credit card but I just feel as if they were trying it on every time you interacted with them.

I certainly wished I had found this site and checked up on Alamo before flying. This is the first review I have ever left in over 50 years of holidaying and hope it allows others to look out for some of the tricks Alamo try and pull when you pick up a car from them.

UPDATED ON 08/12/2016: Quick update from my last review. Checked my credit card bill today and found I had been charged $34.30 for tolls whilst in the USA. When I took the car I was told that it was a maximum of $19.75 for the duration of the rental and I have one of Alamo's flyers confirming this. I have been in contact with Alamo again... Watch this space!

I rented a car out of BWI - Baltimore Airport, MD from 07/16/2016 - 07/18/2016. Upon return, the associate at Check-IN said "leave the keys in the car" and I was good to go, so I left since I was in a hurry. There was no pre-check or post check of the vehicle done and there was no damage occurred during the rental. Next day I get a call from ALAMO accusing me of damage on the front driver side which is a LIE, there was no damage. How can you accuse customer after leaving the rental check-in, this is a fraud/scam. Upon research I found I am not the only guy fallen for this SCAM.

I want you to investigate on this immediately and take action asap to avoid further legal action against the company. I want all the video recordings and I will gather all evidences as well and put an end to this SCAM. Send me a reference number immediately for this case. Let me know if you need further information. You will be on social media as well as the news for this SCAM soon and all your associates are liable for this fraud. TAKE ACTION IMMEDIATELY!

We recently returned to Florida and booked our holiday via Thomson Holidays and paid upfront to hire a vehicle. On arrival at Sanford airport we went to collect our car from Alamo. The agent said as we are returning customers and have used them often they will upgrade our car on top of our upgrade, so we agreed and thought it was a nice gesture to returning customers. He asked us to sign the form. What we did not realize until we got back to the UK he had charged us an additional £300 for his upgrade. Now Alamo are basically saying tough and are not interested that their agent tricked us offering something for nothing and then after when we could not do anything about it an additional charge!

I am writing this review with the hope it will save somebody else from the same horrible experience we had just a couple of days ago with Alamo Car Rental at JFK airport Florida. We booked our holiday through Kenwood Travel, the same company we used the year before and the same package. Upon arriving at the airport a representative of Alamo called Brian informed me we had booked a small car through our travel agent Kenwood Travel, "no way big enough for the 2 adults and 2 children plus the four cases we had with us". He appeared very helpful and seemed very genuine when "trying to help us out" and upgraded us to the right size car for our needs. This turned out to be a top of the range Grand Cherokee Jeep, a beautiful car, way more extravagant than anything we had ever had before. Brian, who told us he had worked for Alamo for twenty years seemed very genuine and helpful.

I was a little confused as I thought we had paid for an SUV a jeep big enough for two adults and two children plus our four cases. When I questioned him on this he confirmed this was not the case and I needed to follow his advice. It seemed like he was really helping us out. A little dazed from the whole encounter and tired from the flight I pondered all of this over on the drive to the Mystic Dunes Resort. 600.00 dollars gone for the upgrade from our holiday spending money. It continued to play on my mind so I wrote to Abbie our very helpful Kenwood member of staff to ask for some advice and also for confirmation on the car we had booked. I was horrified when she wrote and confirmed I had booked and paid additional for a SUV jeep described by Alamo in their literature as a "Grand Cherokee" when I had booked the holiday 8 months earlier.

We are now taking this up with Kenwood Travel and Alamo Car Rental. I saw when writing this review (the first review of this nature I have ever written) that Alamo received an overall rating of just over 1 out of 5 from 572 reviews. I am not surprised. Please please be very careful when dealing with this company and don't allow them to do to you what they did to us. I have also written to trading standards in the UK on the basis of their mis-selling behavior and a lack of corporate integrity and professionalism. We may well end up having to chalk this one down to experience but that won't prohibit us from sharing our experience with as many people as possible to save anybody else being exposed to the same thing.

We rented a car to be picked up at the Ottawa, Ontario Canada Airport for 11 days. When we arrived on 7/27/16 to pick up our car, the attendant/agent was extremely unfriendly, frankly just rude. We requested that we needed to change the length of our trip from 11 days to 6 days, and she informed that it could not be done because the initial reservation was done for 11 days. So we requested that the reservation be cancelled and we will rebook it for the 6 days, without even trying to work with us, she claimed that it could not be done and that we had to take the car for the initial 11 days. We have never heard such a thing.

Then she proceeded to tell us that they are booked up anyway and that we can go to Avis or Budget because they may have cars available, which we did and the customer service there at Budget couldn't be any better or more professional and we were able to get an upgrade to the car we had originally booked from Alamo at no additional cost. Plus Budget car rental could not believe that this woman her name is Kylie would not let us change the number of days to our reservation, this is not standard practice in the industry. So Alamo lost a sale that day and her rudeness and total disrespect to her customers, treating us like we were a piece of ** is disturbing, then we found out that she was the manager of this car rental place. Not good, not good at all. I mean she does not smile to greet people, makes no eye contact, and absolutely unpleasant.

First off, I want to state that I'm very real, as my Facebook is directly attached to this. Secondly I was actually searching online to find a place to write a review, my experience on my week long vacation to Miami was expected to be a nightmare. I got an extremely cheap flight with Allegiant Air bundled with a week long car rental round trip for $312.00 so I expected to get hit with everything under the sun in fees. Alamo made all expected fees very clear, obviously if you fill up the tank when you drop it off you have no problems, you did leave with a full tank so yea, the taxes were 42 dollars, but it was made clear via email I needed a license and a debit or credit card in advance... When I arrived it took me 30 seconds to be greeted, handed a map of Orlando (my stop on the route to Miami) and they took my info, I paid for the taxes at that time.

They walked me out to the lot and said "take your pick..." 60 cars in the area I paid for and the keys were inside already, I checked out at the gate and I was off. On the way back I was so scared of hidden charges. I filled up the tank before I showed up, they have valets pick up the car as soon as you get back on the lot. They quickly inspected the car and handed me a final receipt for the original 42 dollars I paid in taxes previously. Completely blew my mind how painless and cheap it was. $146 dollars for a week unlimited miles, and 42 dollars in surcharges, no deposit, no hidden fees... I honestly am totally in awe of the Orlando sanford airport Alamo staff, bravo! If you seriously believe that every good review here is fake, you can feel free to search for me on Facebook, I'll gladly reassure you... Cheers. :)

Do not trust this company! All the positive reviews you see are all fake! If you see a positive review for them, try and sign up to write your own review on that site... you can't because the site is false! We picked up the car, we had paid off our holiday and paid off the car. But when we got to the desk Alamo took our credit card on file and stole $590 off it whilst we were on holiday. We hadn't even returned the car yet and they had taken money from us! Then two weeks after we returned home they took another $100 and then again a week later another $30... still trying to get the money back. I have had to cancel my card, everything! Thieving and corrupt! Stay away!

Alamo did respond to me and refunded the bogus fuel fill-up charge. They were courteous while fixing the problem.

So, Alamo the company earns a few stars, Alamo at Chicago Ohare airport, not so much.

Original Review

Why are people jerks for some short-term minor gain? The rental agent lied to me. He said I could not pay cash on Illinois toll roads but you can. You can even pay online after the fact. After I returned the car they added almost $10 to my bill for gas fillup even though I filled up the tank a mile from the airport.

Despite making my reservation far in advance, when I arrived at the desk at the Atlanta Airport location I was told there was a 45-60 minutes wait for cars and to go to the garage to wait. At the garage there was already a long line of people waiting in this hot garage for their car. I received my car 1.5 hours later. I was told I would not have to pay for replenishing gas, as if this would make up for my long, uncomfortable wait and delay in getting to my final destination.

I rented a car at KC MO airport. (6-19-16) No one was at the desk. Someone came after a while. When I turned the car in at Wichita airport, (6-25-16) no one was at the desk. I dropped off the car and paperwork, but forgot to drop off the keys. I mailed them in the following Monday to the address on the tag. I was fined a $250 lost key charge and several other late turn in fees due to they didn't check the car in until two days after I turned the car in. Took one week of steady calling to get the $250 lost key charge rescinded. Never got the late turn fees rescinded. Service was terrible. They never returned my calls. I believe this company makes its money off of additional add-on fees. They could take some training from McDonald's about having: 1) A person at the counter to wait on you. 2) A responsive manager to answer routine complaints.

I paid all inclusive car rental in Australia. When I arrived to pick up car was told taxes needed to be paid. The customer service person was aggressive and strong armed me into upgrading the car telling me I could not take the car I requested. Once I got to the car I had many problems with 3 different cars - instead of 30 minutes to get a car it took 3 hours including them sending me off with a car that had an empty tank. I had to join a queue each time I returned with problems - 4 hours later I got out of there. I am appalled by their unethical push to not give you the car originally requested, the addition of taxes which had been paid in Australia. These people should be investigated for their inaccurate advertising and excessive bullying of customers. I have hired many cars and this was the worst treatment I have ever encountered. Do not use them. I paid an additional US$498 in addition to the money I had already paid.

Definitely won't use Alamo again. Don't trust them with your accountal information. During our rental in Miami they took everything they could from our account without any reason! They said that we modified our rental details which wasn't correct. They deducted 600 USD then 300 USD and none of them were valid charge. It took me a holiday(...) to get them to refund the full amount. Never again!

My family and I were on vacation. We always rent from Alamo and on this last trip we were rushing and forget the Gps attached to the adapter in the rental. We were too far to turn back else. We would miss our flight so we decided to contact them. I contacted them the next morning because we took a night flight. I contacted them about the GPS. They responded right away asking for the model.

I sent the mail and a picture and the information on us and our rental. No response until a few days later saying. Well, thanks for renting but we did not find your GPS??? So what that is basically saying is either they have thieves or they didn't believe us or they did not even bother to check. And this is not the first time. This time the item was more expensive. Why bother contacting Lost and Found if nothing is even being put there. Sorry but I am just upset that after being nice I get a piece of garbage response after days saying thanks but 'see ya later'.

I arranged a deal for rental thru Southwest Airlines at $353./6 days. It was to be an SUV allowing for 5 people and luggage. My son was with me for pickup. He persuaded me to "upgrade". It was my understanding that it would be approx. $200 more---plus end of trip fill up on gas--- (about $620 total). The vehicle was great (Expedition). However, I was shocked at a total final bill of $774. BE AWARE! Taxes and extra fees are tacked on that you're not aware of or prepared for. I'm chalking this up to a learning experience. Just needed to give others a "heads up"!!! Signed: Finally Cooling Down After a Few Days...

We returned our rental truck to Alamo Rental company in the airport in Omaha, Nebraska. My son has left a pair of basketball shoes under the back seat of the truck and I left a jewelry pouch/holder under the passenger seat of the truck. I have tried for over an hour to get a hold of someone at the actual Alamo location in the airport. I cannot get the phone service to work. It keeps disconnecting me on their end. I finally got a hold of someone on the national line and she was able to see that the red Ford F150 truck that we rented is still there and has not been rented as of 11:30 pm on Saturday, June 25th. I need someone from the office to get in touch with me. It says the office hours are until 11:59 on Saturdays. I have had several people through the national number leave a lost and found report but they are saying it could take 48 hours for the people at the Alamo location at the Omaha airport to receive it.

What happens if the car rents tomorrow? I just feel there should have already been a phone call to me letting me know that they have our items. I would think they would have cleaned the truck some time today since we turned it in at 12:30 this afternoon. I am very concerned about this and would like for someone to call us and let us know that they have our items. I know for a fact that our items were left in that truck on accident. I want to be able to communicate to someone at the Omaha Alamo location about this ASAP.

The truck is still there. It's as simple as walking out and getting our items out of the truck and turning them in to lost and found. I will pay for any shipping costs to have my items sent to us. The truck rental was under my husband's name, Scott South. If anyone can help with this, I would appreciate it very much. As far as any help given to me by Alamo in regards to this... it's pretty much none. I just cannot believe that you cannot get a hold of the people at the Alamo Counter in Omaha Airport. That part is disturbing to me. Somebody please help me get my items back.

This is a company that is working with Travelscape (which provides promotions on rental cars with companies online such as Orbitz). They are extremely unhelpful and require massive fees to change any reservation that was made online. They also route their customer service calls overseas and you're stuck dealing with people who have no real power to help you, cannot make any changes to fees or negotiate, and often the connection is bad or the dialect makes understanding them very challenging.

I will not do business with Alamo again and if I am renting a car it will be directly at the counter and not via an online promotion because they refuse to make changes to online reservations without charging you massive fees to do so. My request was simple: change the drop off location of a rental vehicle. $300 fare increase. A rental car that cost me $300 to rent for the week now costs me $600. "Promotions" are really sneaky and end up costing you more in the long run. Avoid Travelscape promotions and I highly recommend avoiding Alamo and Orbitz also.

That was the worst experience with any rental car company I have so far. My girlfriend's father made a car reservation with Alamo months ago and we went to Sacramento Airport to pick up the car on June 10, 2016. When we got here to pick up the car, I went to the front desk to talk with one of their employee about the reservation. Everything was OK until one of their female employee steps in for "help". My girlfriend's father is a Chinese citizen and he has a Chinese driver license with all the proper documents required by Alamo. The female employee started to accuse the quality of the image on one of the documents is bad, after I explained to her it was just the printer issue, I could see that she lost patience and started to treat us like shit. We were told we can have a Toyota Rav4 by the first employee but she told us we will have Chev Equinox.

I asked, "Where is the Rav4?" She said, "There was no Rav4 and you can only have Chev Equinox so take it or leave it." Later I figured it out why she would not give us the Rav4, because someone just returned a Chev Equinox so she wouldn't even bother to give us another car, the Chev equinox is unwashed so it is very dirty inside and outside, it also has very smell inside. The worse thing was the car has only half tank of gas, but we were told to return the car with full tank. So I have to went inside the building again and ask them to fill the tank. I wasted anther 10 min for that. Because the car was unwashed and it has only half tank of gas, I knew someone just returned it and Alamo just want to get rid of people ASAP. The worst part is about the rude and careless attitude of that female employee, she did not like questions at all!

When I asked her if we can get a Rav4 instead, she pointed at my girlfriend's father and said, "he is the one who rent the car" (She means my name is not even on the list so stop asking question and shut up.) I was here to make her day easier because my girlfriend's father cannot even speak English, but her action was very unprofessional. I understand Alamo is known for its budget price for rental car, but I do not think any business can treat people with such an awful service. Alamo, you just lost a consumer forever, and I will tell everybody I know about this, so they may think twice about using your service.

Update: After I wrote a complaint letter to this business and they wrote back, they said would be more than happy to discuss this situation with the renter’s daughter and they would get in touch with renter’s daughter directly. However, 14 days passed, NO ONE called or email us about this. SHAME on you Alamo, you are such a liar!

I rented a Large SUV in Savannah Georgia 6/16. No problem with the people but the only choice I had was a Suburban that was not cleaned up, smelled like people were living in it and had worn out tires. Never again. I gave them one star because 0 was not an option.

Booked with Alamo this year for a change at Orlando. Usually use Sixt who are just off the airport and have always been pretty good. I was served by the rudest man I have ever come across who was only interested in trying to get me to upgrade. We had ordered a mid size SUV which he claimed would not be big enough. The reason was clear when I went to pick the vehicle up as they had no mid size so were compelled to let me pick a vehicle of my choice. Upon returning the car all was checked, no problem. Fuel was on a full/full deal. Got back home and a few days later they have charged me an extra 75 dollars for fuel and will not return this. I will never use Alamo again and would urge others to think twice before doing so.

On a business trip to NY. First they didn't have what I rented and tried to talk me into something else. Reason I rented why I did. Now I have a flat tire and they want to come put spare on! I said for another 5 days of NY driving?!! Have been on hold for an hour and 15 min while they try to sort out another car?!!! Will never rent from Alamo again!!

Lip service is no service. I will be writing more reviews concerning Alamo, but I have to start somewhere. In March we rented a Nissan Altima from Alamo. When the trunk was unlatched it swung open and took out the back window, covering both of my children, whom were in the back seat, in broken glass. It is a miracle that neither of them got any in their eyes.

When I called them I got all kinds of lip service and concern, but when push comes to shove they have not done anything tangible to show that they are sorry for A) renting us a defective car that could have blinded my child and B) keeping a car on their fleet that has a poorly designed trunk (when opened fully the tip of the trunk is less than an inch from the back glass). I have paid your replacement cost. I hope that having me pay the $300 replacement is worth how I am going to share this experience with others in hopes that they will reconsider doing business with you. I am sincerely disappointed that all you care about is money and you could not show that you are sorry by taking action to make this right.

I really wish I had stumbled upon this site sooner. Alamo went to town on me. I reserved a car through Alamo via Hotwire.com. When I arrived at (FLL) Ft. Lauderdale to pick up my car, an upgrade was immediately offered to me. How much? Only five dollars more per day I was told. When signing and initializing the paperwork I again questioned the amount. "Oh don't worry you will only be charged $79.99 per day" vs. the $74.99 that I had previously booked for, mind you that the car that I upgraded to was available w/o an upgrade for $84.00. I also went with a full tank of gas to avoid the hassle of trying to find a gas station on flight day.

Well, long story short, Hotwire charged me 74.99 per day and then Alamo charged me an extra $79.99 per day. This was back on March 21st 2016. Numerous calls and a reference number later I am still waiting for someone to step up and fix this. Very frustrating trying to deal with Alamo customer service. I was even hung up on once. No one returns calls and I feel like I am just rehashing the story for new ears each time I call. Yesterday, I took it a step further and opened a BBB complaint and will update this message when there is new information. I would never recommend Alamo to anyone. The upgrade is a money making/commission based sales scam.

I rented a car from them for 3 days. I dropped it off overnight when they were closed. I get a call 20 days later from a very rude claims agent saying that I had a scratch on the drivers side quarter panel. So I immediately went to the rental car place and asked them where are the pictures and video since I dropped it off at the airport. They stated that they don't take pictures. They have someone write a report and send it off to get fixed. This is sure a scam with no evidence that there was damage. I rent from them all the time but I guess this will be my last.

My very FIRST AND LAST time renting from Alamo. Let me highlight that after my research found over 590+ complaints regarding a "DAMAGE CLAIM." Apparently they are very well known for this and some even call it a scam. On 5/8/16 I rented a car and had it for less than 8 hrs. Once I returned the car back I was told there was a tiny dent the size of a dime and immediately started to fill out a "damage claim form." I argue that was already there as the statement is true. First off I've rented cars from many other car rental places, with the exception of Hertz, and have always had an employee do an inspection before leaving the lot, this was not offered in El Paso, TX airport.

I know that they charge an arm and a leg for the smallest damage which is ridiculously high. Word of ADVICE, always take a video/pictures of the car before leaving the lot. If you find any dents/damage "That was NOT DOCUMENTED BY ALAMO" report it immediately. Wish I would of taken a picture of that dent before leaving the rental lot and would of had proof against their accusation. They should have half a start as a review option for Alamo.

In Feb. of this year I rented a car from Alamo at the Honolulu International Airport. After four days of minimal use I returned the vehicle to Alamo. The car was inspected by them and no damage was noted. After I left the site, I received a phone call from Alamo and was informed that they discovered damage to the undercarriage of the vehicle. The damage was not visible during my initial inspection of the vehicle nor was it visible by their employees when I returned the vehicle.

Several weeks later I received an estimate of repairs for $893.07. Of this estimate $259.25 was for admin. fees, loss of use, diminishment of value and taxes. No invoice for the actual repair work was ever submitted. Despite my repeated correspondence disputing their claim, Alamo continues to send form letters demanding payment. The phone number listed on their letterhead has been called several times but has never been answered. There are many rental car companies at the Honolulu International Airport. Based on my experience and the unsatisfactory and unprofessional response of Alamo I would recommend that any of them would probably be an improvement over Alamo.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.
  • Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.
  • Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.
  • Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.
  • Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.
  • Best for Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Compare Rental Cars