1.32/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

761 Alamo Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I wish to alert the public at large that ALAMO Car Rental at Las Americas Airport, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic offers to rent a car for $54:86 for four days. Their offer was cleverly put together with a picture of a little car. When we went to pick up the car, the price rose up to three hundred and change US dollars. When we questioned their representatives, they attempted to justify the price increase with tax and other rental car jargons. The point is this: they should have clearly stated how much they required for four days instead of using deception to lure customers and especially with the little car which fits seemingly the low price. Simply put, these folks are simply dishonest. It is worthy to note that two of the girls that attended to us apparently were not pleased to be a partakers of this disingenuous act. Folks be aware. We ended up paying $190.00. That should have been the proper information from the beginning.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Concluding a week's vacation in Yellowstone, my first stop at the airport was to return my Alamo rental car. My wife carried the keys into the counter to turn them in and close the transaction while I remained with the car. The attendant refused to have a joint turn-in inspection and furthermore threatened a nearly $300 fee for a broken keyring (basically a zip-tie). A few weeks later I received a claim that the vehicle was damaged (cracked windshield). The charge for repair would be in excess of $430 including 2 days rental loss and $50 administrative fees.

I strongly doubt any damage occurred to the vehicle while in my possession, surely I would have seen/heard if a rock or something hit it while driving! Nonetheless, it is still a possibility... The point is, the refusal to inspect the turn-in, and counter with threatening remarks to my wife who promptly encouraged me to not "make a fuss, it will be ok"... It was not.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We are disgusted. Every other company that we rent with allows the spouse to drive. So here we are in the airport, I am with the kids getting luggage while my husband rents a car, and the Alamo folks are insisting that I can't drive unless I also come to the rental counter (a mile away). Ridiculous policy!!! I'll go back to renting with a normal company.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

A month after the car rental, the entire amount of the deposit was written off my card. After numerous complaints and appeals to Alamo and to my bank, the sum was returned. I did not see any grounds for writing off, pleading guilty and apologies. Nevermore!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I reserved a car thru Priceline with Alamo for a trip to go to my mom's funeral in another state. After my flight I go to the counter to pick up my rental car only to be told I have an old debt with Enterprise and they couldn't rent to me. I filed bankruptcy so there is no debt, but I'm now on a permanent do not rent with Alamo, National, and Enterprise.

They didnt cancel the reservation or let me know ahead of time so I could make other arrangements because they said it's their way of punishing people who owe them money. So now I'm in another state with no rental car to get to the funeral. This is already a very difficult time but they made it awful. After two hours in tears I was finally able to rent a car thru another car rental place and since it's last minute it cost me 300 more than I was supposed to pay originally. They could have let me know but they would rather make me suffer more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We had reserved your services at SDQ (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) to be picked up at the this international airport. As we were ready to pick up the vehicle we were told that they had no vehicle available. This caused us tremendous burden that we had to select another car service rental that cost us ($689) more than your company offered us. A company so well known, for this experience I'll not recommend anyone to utilized your company for not overseeing your inventory or your sub services for their lack of services for us the travelers. :(

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I traveled to Atlanta Oct 26 - Nov 1. I had reserved an economy car ahead of my trip. Upon my arrival to pick up the rental car the lady at the counter asked me how many people might be in the car with me at any given time and I told her possibly 3-4. She proceeded to tell me that I might want to upgrade, otherwise I'd be stuck with a Smart Car. I said that I was surprised they even rented Smart Cars due to their incredibly small size. She said. "Oh yeah they do." She told me I could upgrade to a larger mid size, never mentioning an upgrade to a compact. I upgraded and ended up paying over $100 more. I have since contacted Alamo and I was assured that they do not rent Smart cars. I was scammed, manipulated, and lied to. I'm 64 yo and had traveled alone. BEWARE. Alamo is a huge headache and ripoff!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I am 78 years old and legally blind. My wife (who must do my reading and driving for us) is a foreign national who speaks and understands little English. We recently flew to Kansas City. We got a pre-flight car rental reservation (through the airline) at Alamo for $67.00, plus we opted for a gas tank refill ($42.00) at the counter. We returned the car well before the end of the reserved period.

At the car return procedure Alamo entered a charge of $244.00 into the hand-held -- this was more than twice the reservation plus gas refill charge. We tried to resolve it at the very crowded check-in counter, but were met with a rude and confrontational attitude. I even showed the counter guy the copy of the reservation e-mail confirmation to which he replied "we are not responsible for reservations made through third parties". When we made it clear we would not be dismissed so easily he finally said he would "look into it" and "make any adjustments". In the meantime we had to get to our departing plane. When we got our credit card statement a few days later the $244.00 charge from Alamo was still on it. I then called Alamo 'customer service' directly and after 20 minutes of runaround was told "you should have taken this up at the airport, we cannot do anything about it now."

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I attended a 4-day medical conference in Orlando from Oct 4-7, 2018. Rented a car for the period. I don't usually rent from Alamo but decided to give it a try as they had the best price. On arrival at the airport I was directed to their rental parking area and met their agent who told us to pick any car form a particular section. We chose the nearest car. Alamo agent did not even do a walk-around the car to ensure that no previous nicks or dents were on the car. No documentation at all. The car was parked at the hotel for the entire time except for a short trip to Whole Foods and the mileage can vouch for that. On returning the car, the agent said that I hit the car and liable for damage and they sent me a bill for almost $800.00!!! Total ripoff.

I contact my attorney and he said that their agent's failure to inspect and ensure that the car was given with no damages in breach to rental policies. I should take them to court for trying to stick a customer with damages that was not incurred during the customer's rental period. Alamo is the WORST AND MOST DISHONEST rental car company. And covering up for their staff's inefficiencies. They cannot always believe their staff over paying customers as staff lie to cover up their mistakes. DON'T RENT FROM THEM AS YOU MAY BE FORCED TO PAY FOR DAMAGES YOU DID NOT DO. I cannot rate as I give them a ZERO rating.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

This company is literally the worst! In March of this year I booked a reservation through Hotwire for a 7 passenger car at Alamo. I show up to pick up the car and after almost 45 minutes after my reservation time they say they don’t have a car that size and offer a 6 passenger. I attempt to make it work since it was a holiday weekend and we were traveling out of town. I get home and it just doesn’t work so I immediately call their corporate office, explain the situation and am told they can’t assist since I booked through Hotwire. I call Hotwire and they say return the car the car, they’ll refund me. Hotwire of course issues a refund immediately after the car is returned all taking place in less than 2 hours (a majority of that time was spent talking to Corporate and Hotwire).

5 months later I get this random charge in my credit card from Alamo and at first don’t know what it is, turns out these jerks are trying to collect almost 600 dollars on the car rental. I’ve made several calls and attempts to resolve with zero luck and a bunch of promises to return my call since apparently corporate office cannot resolve issues and they have to be resolved at the local office. They’ve call my personal phone my work phone (which I never gave them) and sent me nasty emails telling me I am on their unable to rent list... As if I’d rent from them or any related company who would try to pull some crap like this and not even care to follow through on resolving it except to say pay them. Don’t rent from this company! Don’t rent from Enterprise either as they are the parent company. Having a corporate office who can’t resolve customer complaints is like having a toilet that doesn’t flush!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

We rented a car from the Warwick, R.I., location on Oct. 11. We returned the vehicle on Oct. 14. The next day I noticed that my glasses were missing and presume I left them in the vehicle. I filed 2 reports about the glasses and spoke to a CSR. In all 3 instances the company said I would hear back from them within a few days. NEVER HEARD A DAMNED WORD FROM THE COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Zero Stars. I have traveled worldwide and this was the worst rental car experience I've ever had. They upcharge you when you get there and I was made to pay full price upon checking out the vehicle. Due to a family emergency I returned the vehicle one day early and not only did they not refund me but they overcharged me from what I had originally signed for. They are nothing short of thieves and their customer service is lackluster at best. They promised me a refund several times over the phone and then emailed me back-and-forth only to say that they decided they were charging me for the day I didn't have the vehicle. Disgusting and horrible. Do not rent a vehicle from this location. Stay away. Run. Worst car rental company on Earth in Cancun.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Trip to Albuquerque we reserved a car with Alamo Car Rental at Albuquerque Airport. There was a problem with reservation and the representatives at the counter were less than helpful. Of course I was little upset that there was an issue and there was no help from the representative other than telling us to step out of line and resolve the issue ourselves. They proceeded to Cancel our reservations and were not helpful in any other way than to call security because I was upset that the reservation was canceled without any help from those representatives. Was a very bad start to what was expected to be a great trip To Albuquerque. I will never use Alamo Car Rental for any other future trips.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I rented an SUV from Alamo in Orlando Florida, my husband was told by many agents there wouldn’t be an additional hold/deposit on my card aside from the cost of the rental. I checked my account everyday to make sure no such hold was placed but the day I returned the car the bill was doubled. The next day the correct amount was withdrawal from account but the hold/deposit for the doubled amount stayed on my account for 4 additional days.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I arrived to Miami from Colombia with my lo little daughter and my wife. I had made my reservation 3 months ago and when I went to pick up the car, they told me that my driver's license was expired and because of that they can't not give me a car. My license has no expiration date and they stated that I needed the "new license". What new license? I drive around the world with my license. My sister who lives in the United States offer to rent the car and have me as second driver, they said no because the rate only applies to international drivers. They almost ruined my vacation. I will never even consider Alamo again. Bad attitude, bad service, misleading advertising.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I traveled to Charleston on September 22, 2018 with my daughter and a friend. We wished to put both myself and friend on the record as drivers. We were told that we must pay 11.00 per day for second driver, but if we were married, the second driver is free. I offered to give them my insurance information in case it was an insurance issue. They would not budge. I told them that this was discriminatory - they said it was the rule. I will never use Alamo again. There is no reason to have this rule, for heaven's sake. Note: we are three females, one daughter age 28 and two friends who are early 60s.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

THIS WAS AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE. THEY LIE, CHEAT AND STEAL. TRIED TO TAKE OVER $600 FROM ME. DIDN'T DELIVER SERVICE AS discussed or described on website. Lied again when I called them. Very manipulative company. Will take everything they can from you. Feel violated. Wasted 5 hours of my life on the phone and worrying about Alamo.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I Rented a full size car thru the Alamo website for Denver International airport and chose no additional options that require payment. I chose the “skip the line” option. My flight was delayed due to weather for 4 hours so I called and let them know. I was told no problem and they hold reservations for 24 hours. We arrived and took the shuttle to the rental spot. I skipped the long line inside and went straight out to pick my car. First two smelled of smoke and the trunks were too small for our luggage so we chose a Ford Fusion. Did a once over on the car and found several dings/scratches/damages to the car and reported them on the way out.

Car did well until the next to last day when it overheated twice in the mountains. My husband looked at the fuel levels and they all were good but we were a little leery of trying to cross the Continental Divide with an overheating car. We called the Roadside Assistance and spoke to Adam. After many back and forth calls, we were told they would have to get a tow truck from Pueblo and pick up our car in Gunnison. Then the tow truck would take the car to Montrose, exchange it for another and bring it back to us in Gunnison and then the tow truck would have to drive back to Pueblo all on our dime because I did not purchase the Roadside Assistance package. OR we could drive the car to Montrose ourselves and exchange the car. This would only take maybe 3 hours round trip for us and the car was still reliable on fairly flat road. We chose the latter.

Adam said he would notify Montrose of us needing to exchange a car and everything should be ready when we got there. Of course when we got there, there was no advance notice that we would be coming but Joe was right on it! Only problem here was no full size cars available so we ended up with a mini-van. That was ok since we only had one day left. When we returned the car to DIA, the manager on site, Carlton, was more than kind and understanding and actually gave us a credit toward the cost of the rental for our inconvenience. I would think Alamo should look into their training and customer service. Many of the reviews are awful. I was fortunate and had helpful and kind people on my rental this time but it would make me think twice about renting from them again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

The woman at the desk refused to give me the rental because she claimed my license was fake! I tried several times to prove it was real but she would not let me talk. Every time I tried to say something she yelled "I will not argue with you!" I even called the police department office and they verified my license is real and valid but she still refused me service! She called me an illegal driver and told me that there is no way she would ever let me drive one of her vehicles. I was so appalled by how she treated me and the things she was saying I finally just asked to get my money back for the 2 days I had reserved and she then tried telling me that I never paid for anything!

I had the transaction on my account that said $78 from Alamo that had already been charged but she still refused to refund my money. How on earth can Alamo have someone like this working for them? I was refused service based off her own opinion and was refused to be given my money back! This is the craziest, most unpleasant experience I have ever had from any service/business in my entire life and I cannot believe anyone would have someone as disrespectful as this woman working for their company. This ordeal made me 2 hours late, wasted my time and money.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

On 9/7/18, I was on a flight from Dallas to Kansas City (MCI). I had pre-booked a rental car at MCI. Due to inclement weather, my flight was delayed 8 hours. To make sure that my reservation wasn't cancelled, I called the Alamo at MCI at 10:00 pm and advised them that I was finally about to be leaving Dallas and should arrive before their closing time at 2:00 am. The representative I talked to took my name and information and stated that he would be passing along my situation to the location to make sure no one left before I got there.

I landed at 1:30 am, with 30 mins to spare before closing time. After the shuttle, I arrived at the Alamo desk at 1:45 am, 15 minutes before closing time. After being stuck in the Dallas airport for 8 hours, I was ready to get out of the rain and into my bed. Unfortunately, the Alamo location at the airport CLOSED EARLY...even with me calling ahead and telling them that I was coming. They not only didn't wait for me, they closed up early and left me stranded at the airport, in the pouring rain, at almost 2 am with my luggage and no way to leave.

I called Alamo customer service and they basically said they couldn't do anything for me other than file a complaint. So at 2 am in the pouring rain holding all my luggage in a rental car parking lot, I'm on the phone filing a complaint. I never heard a single thing, so a week later, I followed up with an online complaint. I was told someone from the MCI management would be contacting me to discuss my situation. Here we are a week and a half later and no one has contacted me yet. Still. This has been the most insanely frustrating process I've been through. Apparently, do they not only not care about the customer at the locations, the management team doesn't care either.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

First of all, I made our reservation with Alamo online and then I should have known the whole company is a bunch of scam artists. I looked under the sales and deals and got a price and then I decided to look at just the regular pricing, so I opened a new tab and lo and behold the regular price was CHEAPER than the sales and deals. Right then I was thinking “Wow how much more money do they get by people thinking they are getting a better deal in the "sales and deals" link.” I decided to go against my gut and made the reservation anyway, using the pay now and save more!

When we arrived to pick up the car they ask for my driver's license and I told them I was not driving, my husband was, I just made the reservation because I am the one who pays the bills. So we gave "Rob" my husband’s license and he said "We charge ten dollars a day extra for additional drivers." I told him that I was not driving AT ALL. He told me that the reservation was under my name and we couldn't change it to my husband. Then he convinced us to get the fuel for 2.75 a gallon, what a deal! Except it wasn't, you can't choose how many gallons you want. He charged me $43.94 for fuel. When we dropped it off we had only used half a tank, but instead of subtracting money they charged us more, now it was $49.43. It ended up being more than $5 a gallon, we would have been better off filling it up ourselves. Plus, most airports have a gas station close or on site. Do not get the fuel option, if you do make the mistake of using Alamo.

He also tried to convince us to get their insurance, I said “no” because I have travel insurance through my credit card and most car insurances cover rental cars. Even though I made the reservation online and it states “save time, save money” it did neither. It took us over 30 minutes to stand in line (5 min) and then deal with Rob, the man checking us in and charging us more. He was also rude and had a different man standing behind him who didn’t say anything, which I felt was awkward.

When waiting for Rob to add more onto my bill, I overheard the woman next to me having similar problems with her attendant. The contracted price I paid for the reservation was $542.93 online, but when all was said and done it was $655.73. I was very upset and Rob didn’t even try to explain anything or to calm me down. I left the building talking to myself in outrage. Another attendant was outside and did ask why I was upset and if there was anything he could do, which was nice. When I told him my ordeal, he just shrugged and said there was nothing he could do, then why did he even ask! We got a full-size Nissan and went on our way. My two boys and husband were silent and scared and there was a very negative atmosphere in the car. What a way to start our trip! I cooled down over time, but was still very upset.

A couple days later while we were sitting in a downtown park in Pittsburgh, a woman was complaining about Alamo as well. When we asked why, she told us that even though her daughter was only going to drive the car one day, they charged her the additional driver fee for the whole time they rented the car and it was an extra $15 dollars a day. When we turned the car in at the Pittsburgh airport, the lady scanned the plate and typed in something from the dash and handed me a receipt. Somehow, my total was even more $662.32, that is $119.39 more than what I thought I would be paying!

I am outraged with the terrible service and extra money I was charged through Alamo. I will NEVER again use this company and will be telling everyone I know what an awful experience my family and I had. Their motto “save time, save money” is a joke. If you need to rent a car, go through a different company even if it is a little more. You will save the headache of dealing with a poorly run company and chances are you will save money going through someone else. The only reason I am giving Alamo 1 star and not zero, is because the Nissan we had was a nice car. Good job Nissan!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We booked through Alamo for this past week at Sky Harbor Airport, AZ. We prepaid months ago. We had to leave a day earlier due to Hurricane Florence, as staying another day would have prevented us from getting home for days. We asked for a refund for the day not used, THEY REFUSED BECAUSE WE PREPAID??? I don’t even understand this policy, these were extenuating circumstances. Thank you to Delta Airline for waiving ALL fees in rebooking and luggage fees. I will NEVER USE ALAMO AGAIN, frankly my dear, you suck.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

We came in to Knoxville late at night. We drove to our cabin about 1 1/2 hours away. The next day we went to use the SUV and noticed the screen was heavily sun damaged and had a small crack. We tried to sync the phone to the NAV system and the whole screen shattered. Now they're trying to charge us for the damage!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had reserved a car at Geneva Airport, Switzerland two months in advance of my trip. I reserved a mid-sized SUV, Automatic, VW Tiguan like. When I got to the airport, there were three people at the counter, but only one was helping customers; the others were on the phone and doing paperwork. After a long wait, witnessing the people in front of me get "upgraded at no charge" and then told to wait an hour for the car to be ready, I finally got up. First, the young man asked me if I would like a free upgrade, to which I replied, no thank you. Then, he advised me that they did not have an automatic in the car class I had reserved, so either I could take that class in manual, or I would have to take the free upgrade. The upgrade was to a large SUV minivan, which I did NOT want on Swiss roads in the mountains and in garages. Basically I had no choice for an automatic for 5 people.

The next day I called the desk and asked them to change my car; they offered me one that just went into the garage for repairs, or one that was even BIGGER than the one they gave me. I asked him to get a car from another location, and he told me I could drive to Lyon (159km away) and take car of the swap myself. The car was way too large for the villages we were in, and caused a huge amount of stress for the entire week, and put a really sour note in the vacation. The ALAMO commitment is a scam and the service even worse. When I returned the car, the people taking in the cars were so rude that one started screaming to my family member and gave him obscene sign language gestures. I will never rent from Alamo again.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Reserved a BMW (!!) to have best and safe travel with the family. Got a car with broken tail light and 2 days later battery died on the highway. Phone calls to the useless team they have there cost me on roaming $150+ and hours of wasted noon-time travel. An annual family trip that was planned for months was ruined. Zero compensation; no apology; and when they repaired for the new battery, they rounded the number down. Poor Alamo, I had to chip in for them few euros at the shop. DO NOT DO Alamo.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I had booked 2 cars under. My pick up was supposed to begin from 1500 hours in the afternoon. My flight was delayed because of some reason and I had to come in at 2000 hours to pick the car. When I reached the pick up at 2000 hours, the reservation was canceled. The personnel there were not ready to listen, understand my issue. We were 8 people traveling on a holiday and this was by far the worst start. My reserved car was given to some other person as the airport personnel at Alamo did not even allow me to do a fresh reservation. Absolutely ridiculous and not acceptable. There was absolutely no communication that the reservation stands canceled if I do not make it by the airport by 1500 hours. Pathetic.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We rented a car from Alamo in Stanford, Florida to drive down to Fort Lauderdale at the end of July. While in Fort Lauderdale we unfortunately locked our keys in the trunk. In the end we had to tow the car to Alamo's counter for a swap since roadside assistance could not get into the trunk. The tow truck was more than 3 hours late despite getting routine text messages that the truck was on the way as scheduled (approx 70-80mins). After spending a whole day trying to resolve the problem, we finally got a replacement and was told by customer service that our stuff locked in the trunk would be put aside with our contract no. for us to pick up. We found out that this was not true.

They quickly opened the car that morning (we dropped off the car after midnight) and rented the car right away that day. Employees took our items out of the trunk before the car went back to be rented and we never managed to get them back despite numerous calls and visits to the rental counter. The employees and managers knew our things were stolen but would not do anything about it. Their bogus online reporting system is worthless and only results in useless email notifications that they have not found our items.

We never received any reply to our email to upper management despite being told that their policy is to reply would within 24hours. The managers at the Fort Lauderdale airport counter appear indifferent to our situation. One even wanted to only give us a pickup with an open cab when we swapped our locked car. We have young children and luggage to drive back to Orlando.

I would not rent from Alamo again. Everything is ok if you do not run into any problems, but if you do there is no assistance. Furthermore, there is no consistency of the information provided to clients and they do not even appear to follow any policy. Employees are not policed by management unless it is done right in front of them at the drop off locations since they cannot steal items left in the returned vehicles. Our car was dropped off at their repair lot so there appears to be no monitoring of employees there. Dealing with this company has been a major disappointment.

Resolution response: Oct. 29, 2018

Today, Alamo sent me the exact same information that finally was sent to me on July 20, 2018--i.e., the cost to repair the damage on their rented vehicle, which we needed to file our insurance claim. Their email seemed to think our concern was that we "received a damage claims collection letter after returning their vehicle." This is wrong. We wrote our one-star review because it took us over a month and many phone calls to get information on the *cost of repair* so we could file our insurance claim. So, Alamo did respond to my August review. It only took them two months. No change to my rating.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We rented a car from Alamo at the Geneva, Switzerland airport. Because our credit card offers free car insurance for car rentals, we did not pay for Alamo's own, very expensive insurance. While parked in a parking garage, the car got side-swiped by an unknown car. When we returned the car, the agent took all the information, required a $5000 credit card deposit, and told us that within two weeks we would have a refund for the unused portion of the deposit. Well, that didn't happen. After three weeks of hearing nothing, I contacted Alamo's national/international reservation department. First they sent me to a national claims department, which sent me back to the original Alamo department I started with. Then the agent said she'd send an internal query to the proper office in Switzerland to find out what was going on.

A week later, I got an email from an office in France (Geneva is right on the border) saying they had no idea what I was talking about and asked that I forward all my documentation. I sent the rental agreement and the damage report. A week later, I got another email asking for a claim number. No one had given us a claim number, so I called Alamo again, and they again sent an internal query. Three days later, I received an email from France saying they had no record of the claim and to provide the claim number. I told them it was their responsibility to create a claim number.

At this point, I called Alamo again and told them I would be going on social media to complain about the runaround Alamo was giving me unless they resolved this right away. This time they routed their internal query to their Zurich office. Lo and behold, they had information on our claim, but they had never bothered to contact us. Another week went by, and we finally had the repair estimate. The entire process has taken two months. This whole experience tells me *never* to use Alamo again. If we hadn't kept dogging them, we'd still be out our $5000 deposit. On the upside, our credit card company, Capital One, was incredibly efficient from start to finish and covered everything.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Alamo at Detroit Airport - First car reeked of smoke, obvious no one actually cleaned it. Did not find this out until all luggage was loaded. When returning, the lady who checked us in was rushing us to get out of the car. We left behind a handicapped parking placard. Because of the nature of the item, I tried calling prior to the flight, after the flight and the next day. Got a lot of runaround, and NO ONE is allowed to just call the location (guess that would just be way too simple). Filed on the phone and online for a lost and found item. Was told I will only be contacted if they find it. At this point (two days later) I am assuming it went home in somone's pocket.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I rented a car on December 18th/2016. I rented a Chevrolet Cruze Silver Color. After all this time until now I got the stomach to talk about this negative experience with ALAMO (in Chicago O'Hare). I left a silver cross hanging from the rear view mirror inside the car. I was in the office checking out and closing the deal when I realize that I forgot my cross. I told the Parking Lot Manager, wearing a large black jacket and also I told to the parking guy, in a fluorescent vest, about the situation. They told me that everything will be found and I have not to worry, they will look at that. My wife and I were waiting for more than 1 hour and 30 minutes without any feedback. I spoke with three different representatives in the office but they did anything to resolve the situation.

My wife and I had to leave the ALAMO office because our flight was about to depart and we almost lost it. After our flight back to our hometown, I was calling ALAMO Lost and Found checking if they found my cross, but no luck. I tried everything and there is no refund and not even a feedback; they just said that they can't find the item. For me the guy in the black jacket and the parking guy in the vest are the culprits. And also the staff in the office never helped me at all, they just delayed the situation forcing me to leave when my flight was about to depart. The only one option I have is to sue ALAMO, something I am still considering.

Alamo Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.

• Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.

• Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.

• Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.

• Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information