2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.91/5

Alamo Car Rental is a car rental agency with locations throughout the United States. Features include online check-in and discounts for Alamo Insiders members. With the Drive Happy app, customers can create and modify car rental reservations. The company also offers car seat rental, GPS navigation, Sirius XM and ski racks.

BOTTOM LINE

Alamo rents cars, SUVs, trucks and vans all over the world. Customers can create, modify and cancel reservations online. Alamo offers some discounts but typically charges an extra fee for drivers under 25 years of age.

PROS

• Easy reservations
  • Discounts available
  • Online check-in
  • Mobile app

CONS

• May charge fees for drivers under 25
  • Credit card required

Top Alamo Car Rental Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

…The rental agent, Chappy, was cheerful and chatty… When he found out that we were there because my mother, who is terminally ill with brain cancer, requested that we all meet one more time… he was so kind and gave us a free upgrade to a new Escalade. The upgrade was amazing but Chappy’s kindness wa

The experience was great and I would be more than happy to use the service again and recommend to friends and family. The value for the rental was great. The staff was very professional, helpful and friendly.

What is Alamo Rent a Car?

Alamo is a rental car provider with locations around the world. Drivers choose from a wide variety of cars, trucks, SUVs and vans, including everything from economy sedans to luxury sports cars.

You can book, modify and check in for your reservation online, which lets you skip the line and go directly to your rental upon arrival. Alamo also offers last-minute deals and other savings options.

How do you rent a car from Alamo?

When you select your rental car online or in the Alamo app, you have multiple options for body style and vehicle type. Alamo offers both automatic- and manual-transmission cars, SUVs, vans and trucks, including economy, fuel-efficient, luxury, sports and muscle cars.

Once you make a reservation, you can modify or cancel it using Alamo’s website or the app. On the day of your reservation, you have the option to check in online and go straight to your rental when you arrive.

Alamo prices

Alamo rentals typically cost from $90 to $160 per day and $300 to $800 weekly. Small economy cars usually fall at the lower end of the range; you’ll have to pay more for large premium vehicles. The company offers many deals and coupons, including for last-minute rentals, military personnel, one-way travels and upgrades. Be sure to factor in the costs of add-ons, insurance and the cost of gas. Alamo might also charge a fee for drivers aged 21 through 24.

Alamo FAQs

How much is the rental deposit for Alamo?
Alamo doesn’t charge rental deposits for reservations. However, it does place a hold on your credit card for the anticipated total.
What discounts does Alamo offer?
Alamo offers military, last-minute and partner discounts. You can apply coupons and promotion codes during checkout. Sign up for the free Alamo Insiders membership for additional discounts.
Does Alamo charge a one-way fee?
Yes, Alamo charges a one-way fee, known as a “drop charge.” The amount of this fee varies by rental location and time of year.
Can you rent a car from Alamo with a debit card?
No. You must rent a car with a valid credit card in your name. This is required both online and in-store.

Is Alamo a good company?

Alamo is an established car rental company with competitive pricing and extensive vehicle options. Note that it requires a credit card for all rentals and usually charges a fee for drivers under 25. You can easily book and modify your reservation online or with Alamo’s mobile app.

Alamo Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Alamo saved us. When we landed and tried to pick up our vehicle on hold with another rental they refused to take a debit card. After losing time standing in the long lines of other renters who also refused us, Alamo came to our rescue. By the time we got to them they only had one vehicle left and it was a high end pickup. They could have charged us for the upgrade, but they let us have it at the economy car price for the troubles the other renters gave us. Alamo rules and has our business from now on.

Alamo Car Rental response

Debbie, I'm so glad to hear we were able to help you out! Thanks for the great review! We look forward to seeing you again soon. - Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

We had the pleasure of renting from Alamo at Nashville International Airport. All the staff were wonderful, but the standout employee was Herman **. He is the greeter there and was absolutely fantastic. He was friendly and extremely helpful. He is the perfect representative for Alamo.

Alamo Car Rental response

Kirk, we're so glad that we were able to go above and beyond your expectations! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did. We'll pass the compliment onto Herman and hope to see you again soon! - Carol H

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Went on lots of NASA business trips with lots of rental car companies. Alamo was far superior & I use them exclusively on all of my personal vacations each year. They have always been terrific to deal with throughout the rental car process.

Alamo Car Rental response

Thank you for your loyalty and positive review, Glenn! We're so glad you've enjoyed our services and we look forward to seeing you again soon! - Carol H.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I recently traveled to Puerto Rico and rented a car from Alamo. The price given online is what the price was. No bait and switch! Pickup was right outside of the airport doors so no shuttle needed. I waiting maybe 10 minutes to get to the counter. No sales pressure at all. I had my own insurance policy and did not purchase theirs. I paid with a credit card. An extra $60 in addition to my rental fee was holding (compared to the $400 & $500 other rental companies wanted for a deposit in the area). I took my rental contract to the lot to get my rental car. An employee approached and gave us a free upgrade to a small SUV with two to choose from. The vehicle was nice and very clean.

Upon returning, we pulled into a line and unloaded our belongings. An employee walked over and scanned a barcode on the windshield and took the keys. That was it! Nothing more to do for the return process. On the way inside the airport, I received a text stating what my card was charged for which was the original price, nothing more. My $60 deposit was immediately released and available within seconds. It really doesn't get any easier than this!

Alamo Car Rental response

Stacy, thanks for taking the time to share your great rental experience with us! We'll be sure to pass this compliment along. See you next time! - Carol H.

Original review: May 24, 2020

Processed the rental from GSP airport in South Carolina. Transaction was smooth and efficient and supplied with a clean vehicle. Returned the vehicle one day earlier than booked and received credit for the day. All in all a very good experience and highly recommended.

Alamo Car Rental response

Clive, thanks for taking the time to share your great rental experience with us! We'll be sure to pass this compliment along to our GSP airport team. See you next time! - Carol H.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

The worst experience ever! This company does not check their cars and when you return them they expect you to be responsible for everything! I got a scratched car and “it was not in the system” so they reached out to tell me I was going to be responsible for it when I clearly told them that’s the way I got the car! Definitely not renting again!

Alamo Car Rental response

Adriana, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. - Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I reserved a premium SUV rental at fort Lauderdale airport through a third party company which I also pre-paid prior to arriving at the airport with my credit card. When I arrived I was advised that because I live locally I can not have a premium vehicle. The associate that claims she was the manager then proceeded to ask if I had insurance, what's the policy number and where am I going. Another associate advised the lady that was "assisting" me to just give it to me and she refused. After going back and forth the lady then said now I can't have anything. I have no rental and they have my money. I have never had an issue getting a rental and being asked where am I going. This is totally unacceptable and I will be escalating this matter as far as possible.

Alamo Car Rental response

anjelica, we can only improve our services by listening to our valued customers. I assure you that we take all such concerns seriously and would like to discuss your experience with us in more detail. Please email us at care@alamo.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, and any additional details. Thank you. -Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

We rented a car with possible change of return. When we called to change drop off of vehicle (90 min difference in location) we were told it would be a $400 dollar difference. They were unwilling to change any issues in the system. We were told being done by computer rather than in person or by phone there was nothing they could do. Seems ridiculous by using automated systems we are punished for handling it ourselves from beginning. If we wanted we could go one hour and a half out of our way to return our vehicle, get another at a day rate and continue on to our destination one and a half hour again rather than simply do paperwork by phone. We were held hostage to a computer transactions and they really didn’t care. So for us lesson learned and will return to enterprise where we have done one way drop off without the huge cost increase or headache with no resolution. No Alamo for us again.

Alamo Car Rental response

Cherie, I'm sorry our service did not meet your expectations. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Denver Int'l Airport location. When renting the vehicle, I was directed to use the kiosk provided for a quicker rental experience, since I had pre-reserved my vehicle. Two of the four kiosks were out of service, and no one was helping customer use the NON-customer-friendly kiosks. After waiting longer than if I'd stood in line, the kiosk rejected my information and I had to wait in line longer than if I'd just stayed in line in the first place.

Day 2 of my rental, the car key was lost. It had no Alamo tag on it, nor any kind of marking indicating the key was to an Alamo rental. After thoroughly searching the grocery store in which it was lost, I called Alamo roadside assistance. They informed me that they would be sending a tow truck with "lockout service" so if the key was found in the vehicle, it would not have to be towed. If it had to be towed, then I could go to any Alamo location the next day for a replacement vehicle (which, of course would be at a higher rate than the original, since I'd booked it at a discounted rate to begin with.)

The tow truck driver opened the car and the key was not in it. The car was then towed back to Alamo location at about 6:30 that evening. An hour after the tow, I had a call from a second tow truck that they were on their way. I dismissed him, and called Alamo back, to let them know and to see what my next steps should be. They said that someone "from the branch location" would be contacting me "directly", "as soon as the vehicle was checked in" so I could close the contract and pay any outstanding charges.

Over the next two days, I have called the local DIA location more than five times, only to be told by their call center that the DIA location "must be swamped with customers" or the call would have been answered by someone at that location, and NOT re-directed to a call center. I asked if there was any way to expedite resolution of the problem, and they said "no", that I just needed to wait for them to call me back. I have received no call back from them. My trip ends tomorrow.

Their phone system says that the DIA location is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. After 5 calls and 52 hours of waiting, I called thinking that 7:30 pm would be more available and I might actually be able to talk to someone at the DIA location to resolve the issues. The phone system said that I had called "after business hours." and would need to call back tomorrow.

I am leaving Denver tomorrow morning and will stop at the Alamo location on my way to the airport to try and resolve the issue and close the contract. When I mentioned this situation to a few friends who travel frequently on business, their expressions and their responses were such that I wished I had consulted them before booking the reservation. I wish I had known the poor customer service reputation of this company sooner, because now I am expecting a very long wait, and a VERY costly resolution to this service.

Alamo Car Rental response

Justine, I'm sorry to hear our service did not meet your expectations this time around. We would like to speak with you further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I picked up the car in Dallas and returned it 4 days later. There was no one there to check me in. I had to hunt someone down. A few months later, I get a bill for over $1400 for damage. WHAT? They sent a picture who knows when it was taken and told me that I had done the damage. I asked them to pull the video of my return, because it did not happen when I was driving the car. They told me that they had reviewed my case and I owed them the money. They will not call me nor will they pull the video. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY!

Alamo Car Rental response

Jennifer, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Alamo.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. We look forward to hearing from you soon! - Carol H.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information