1.75/5
Based on 86 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Alamo Car Rental

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 14, 2018

685 Alamo Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I rented a car at the Fort Myers airport. The staff was very pleasant, and the car I got was clean. 5 days later I was running errands, and when I came out of the store, the car wouldn't start. I called Alamo and customer service was polite. She said it would be a $70.00 charge. Why do I have to pay for Alamo's car not starting!? Not only was it a $70 charge, but what they failed to tell me was they added an 11.11% fee + tax bringing it to almost $89.00. Again, why am I paying this?! They sent me to Enterprise to get another car, and said they would send an email to explain why I was there. I arrived at Enterprise where the employees there were dumbfounded about why I was there, and said they had not received an email. All of this took 3 hours out of my vacation plus an extra $89.00 out of my pocket. Alamo hasn't offered any apologies or vouchers etc.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I had a SUV rental from Alamo Car Rental from Detroit airport location and it was the worst. They have worst service and bad attitude. But the real reason I am doing this review that when I put the SUV back to them I forgot my garage door remote. And I rarely call them. As soon I got to my house that was after I return it 20 min and I am sure that they didn't even touch the truck yet or clean it. So I call them and they put me on hold around 5 min and the woman on other line she told to hold an again. And I thought she going to grab it for me to hold for me or call somebody from outside to bring. She didn't even bother.

And when she put on line again she forgot what I was holding for and she told me she will call me back. She never did. I call after 30 min. The same thing happen. They told me they going to call me for sure. They never did. And called back after hour and half. She was like, "Go ahead and file a report for lost and found because they already rent the SUV again." Instead of making it easy on everybody and get it for me in the beginning. They are the worst, the careless people and worker I ever deal with.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Had to switch auto rental dates from Saturday to Sunday on a trip to Kona, HI due to American Airlines flight delay (snow in Chicago). My Saturday auto reservation was $450 for 17 days. When I rebooked, for the next day for 16 days (same car) it was $1540.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

When are you out of the condo we were pressured very very pressured to buy a car insurance and to move up into a bigger car. We were satisfied with the new Sunday we're giving us and the customer service rep was not satisfied. She was pushing it and pushing us and we found said, "No that's it." She proceeded to pressure us to buy insurance. We explain to her that our insurance company has coverage for the rental. She said, "If you do not think it will take $500 out of your account even if there's a scratch on the car when you bring it back."

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I reserved a luxury vehicle for a week and got a BMW X3 SUV. Although it was acceptable, it was not what I wanted. There was no explanation or discussion. I got what I got and was charged the same rate. Probably not coming back to Alamo. I was disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Salesman stole from me and company refused to acknowledge or even call me back after being informed. Car had issues that were not disclosed. Only got 1 star because I had to choose something to continue. BEWARE!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

We booked our car and GPS by our travel agent in Holland. When we left the desk in Orlando, I asked if the GPS was in the car. It was not, they gave us a box with a GPS. We signed for it, we thought it was a deposit for the box. And now you charged us 304.44 Dollars for using the GPS. We did not asked for this TravelTab Adventurer, only for a GPS. Which our Travel agent already paid for. The rental car was super, only this 304.44 dollars gives us a big headache.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

My wife and I planned a trip to Branson, MO for November 2017. We booked the flight to Little Rock, AR and a rental car with Alamo in October to allow plenty of time to have reservations established. Our flight arrived in Little Rock on Wednesday night at 10:30 PM. We went to the Alamo desk and it was CLOSED. When outside to check where we would pick up the car - totally dark and NO CARS. Neither did Enterprise have any cars. Spoke to Mr. ** who said sorry they have no cars left. So we had to go back inside and rent a car from Avis at double the price. The people at Avis said this was a normal situation during the week to have no cars after 5:30 PM.

Went back outside to get the Avis car and spoke to Mr. ** again who offered to arrange for adjustments for the difference. He said sent him a copy of the transactions (which we did Nov. 11 and Jan. 24. We have had NO acknowledgment from either date. Poor service and does not feel good to be taken advantage of by poor customer service. Be warn folks, there were three of us in the same fix that night.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

We rented a car in Alamo through economycarrental. I requested a Ford E or similar since we were a party of 8 and a lot of luggage. We received confirmation and quotation for ~US800. When we arrived my husband and brother went to Alamo’s counter and...surprise! They stated the class of car we requested was not available. The only thing they could provide was a smaller vehicle (suburban) and over US2,000. I wrote an email to economycarrental about this issue. They answered a couple of days later requesting images of the contract.

We sent the info and they answered again the last days of our rental saying that the category we requested was available and that we “chose” to take the suburban: We chose a car we did not fit in and had to bring the luggage in our laps! We chose a car that was 3 times more expensive. We wrote the same day and instead of answering immediately so we could make the change, they needed more than 10 days to analyze the case??? I think they are cheating customers so they can charge more! Stay away from Alamo and stay away from Economycarrental!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

After being overcharged $370.00. I called customer service as many would. I talked to a nice lady and she tried to help me the most she could. Said she would have the person I needed to talk to contact me. So I left her my number. After waiting 3 hours and not hearing back from the company. I decided to call back to get the situation handled and was hung up on, so I called again.

So, once again I called and was then transferred to a different company at the airport where I used the rental. So, again I called back to customer service. The lady who answered the phone acted in a very unprofessional manner. Ex. First thing was when she answered the phone it wasn't, "Hello, Thank you for calling Alamo. How may I assist you?" It was "this person is calling again haha" after I responded, "Well. Yes I am calling back." I haven't spoken to the person I am in need of speaking with, She then raised her voice at me, (which made me more irate than I already was) talked over me and cut me off.

It was one of the worst customer service experiences I have had. I do understand having people call about being overcharged as I am the General Manager of a Fitness Facility. Things happen and if I were to act the way she did to me, I would be asked to leave IMMEDIATELY, there are no exceptions to this behavior. WILL NEVER RECOMMEND OR USE AGAIN. IF YOU VALUE RESPECT THIS IS NOT THE COMPANY TO USE.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Rented vehicle at Houston Hobby Airport with the intent returning vehicle to Houston Bush Airport. The agent wrote it up as returning to Hobby. I brought it to her attention and she said there may be a small charge to drop at Bush. My mistake was taking her word for it and not getting it writing, after all it is just across town. When I returned vehicle to Bush there was a $62 extra charge and my contract was voided. No one at Alamo's customer service was willing to adjust the extra charge.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

After trying many car companies over decades of travel, I've ended up using Alamo as #2 (Enterprise as #1). I can't stand bad customer service, and I've had generally good service from Alamo over the years.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Picking up this Toyota Camry at Lehigh Valley airport was fast and efficient, but it was in the lot, covered with salt following a snowstorm the previous week. We should have returned to the rental booth, but we were anxious to reach our destination and left the lot. When we realized we couldn't see through the back window or side mirrors we had the car washed ASAP. So much for saving time! As we drove out of the lot "maintenance required" light came on and has stayed on. Ever try to reach someone to talk to?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I had rented a car for 12:30 am on Dec 14th. My flight was delayed and I arrived at the airport after Alamo was closed. I had to reschedule my car rental but they did not charge me any extra and in fact went down on the already low rate. I have had delays before and have had to rebook at a much higher cost. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I had quoted and done a reservation at ALAMO website, and when I arrived at ALAMO at Miami Airport, the salesman at front desk told me I had to contract a car insurance because it was mandatory. It has costed me almost twice price of car rental! I sent several contacts unsuccessfully! They do not care!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

My wife and I rented a Chevy Equinox at BWI airport on November 30, 2017 and returned the vehicle on December 3, 2017. While in Maryland, we brought and used our Garmin GPS and inadvertently left the GPS unit in the vehicle, when we turned the vehicle in. No one at Alamo at BWI has located our GPS and they were notified the same day we returned to Florida. We are now out approximately $150.00, so that we can replace our GPS. The dishonesty at Alamo is unconscionable and should not be tolerated. We will never use Alamo again, as they would not answer their telephone when we called and only responded days later to our email.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

It is unfortunate that they have been getting bad reviews, but I've had nothing but great experiences with them. We reached DFW at 5 am and was processed in and out immediately. Had no issues. Once we returned there was additional charges on my card. I called DFW customer service and was taken care of right away. They saw the charges and were able to refund me without any issues. Will definitely work with them again.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I was stuck at the ATL airport!!! And after being turned down by another car rental company the manager Elise was very professional and empathized with my situation. She was able to accommodated every one of my needs and get me on my way home. I will only be using Alamo from here forward. Thank you so much for your help in my stressful situation.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

When we got our rental car at Tampa International Airport there our lot was dimly lit. We were told to pick out our car, which consisted of 2 options. However, the main goal of this car was to get us to where we were staying 40 minutes away. So we got in the car. Although there were employees walking around, no one walked around the car with us. We went to the exit and she scanned the number and off we drove. At that point we should have stopped because the steering wheel had sticky goobers all over it and once we got in some form of daylight we noticed the ceiling looked like a massacre quite possibly went down in the previous rental. There were spots you could tell were scrubbed away, but other spots were very visible.

We just wanted to get to our condo and relax so we drove on. Parked the car, which is in a covered parking lot with a pillar on the driver's side. Pulled car in, popped trunk. Didn't even look at the keys until we went to go home. Pull into the now extremely BRIGHT parking garage. Instantly the employee asked what did we hit? Apparently, if you got down on your knees with a flashlight, you could see a long scrape along the bottom panel of the car. We drove NOWHERE. If we hit that we would have known and there was no way it was from any other car because it was so slow to the ground. So, enter Claudia. I will say in my 30 years of dealing with people and traveling the country between my husband's work and mine I have NEVER met anyone that is so unprofessional and condescending. Here are the things she (at first) told us...

1. She said that they were understaffed and couldn't possibly look over every car as it goes out of the lot (although, there were a few standing around doing nothing and not to mention only 1 way to get out). 2. We obviously were going to the airport to catch our flight so my friend asked what would happen if we just walked away right now and called back with information and she informed us that she would be sent to collections. 3. She gave us a number to call to get the driver's insurance info, but since it was Sunday they were closed. My friend explained that she will get the insurance on Monday and call back. However, on the report she wrote that the "customer refused to give insurance". She asked to have that wording changed and the manager at the time (Justin) said that he is unable to change the wording.

4. She told us to our faces that she believes we would sit there and lie about hitting something. Which in the grand scheme of things the cost will probably be close to $500 and why in the world would we risk missing the flight of four of us which was well over $800. 5. I informed her that I will never shop at Alamo again and she just rolled her eyes and said "that's fine, you can do whatever you want to do". Which is true, but obviously not something you should tell your customers. So then we asked to talk to the manager, and he came out. We started explaining the conversations that we had and she just instantly was defending what she is now saying she did NOT say.

After reading just a few of these reviews I can see that that is just how Alamo works and they don't care because there is always fools that will get their cars. Now we are waiting a week for the claims report to come back from them stating the extent of the damage after they do a examination and look at video cameras to see if the cameras can see the marks on the car before we had it. So, unless you are looking for a completely LOUSY way to end your vacation and wanting to get victimized and talked down to in a rental car garage I suggest you take your business elsewhere. It will be worth the extra money you spend to stay away from these condescending thieves.

Resolution response: Dec. 13, 2017

We were contacted so quickly that I missed the response from Alamo. They followed up immediately & we worked everything out. Nothing but a misunderstanding on our part. Thanks to Alamo for their quick attention. Will definitely use Alamo next time.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Picked up car at 9:30M 10/14/17 with 2-day rental. Due to flight cancellation returned car early 10/15/17 at 7:30AM. Called Alamo asking about credit. Was told it would take 4-5 days & was given amount of credit. After 1 week called Alamo. Told to call Expedia who called Alamo who claimed no record of our call. Expedia explained policy says no credit given if returned early with 2-day rental. Asked where that was written. Was told "somewhere". It is not written on our rental agreement. Everything else was fine, but disappointed in Alamo for lack of info on their agreement & claiming no record of our call. Expedia just shrugged. Forewarned for next trip.

Resolution response: Nov. 22, 2017

Thank-you Carol and Alamo management. The incident has been rectified in a professional and fair manner. I must say there was a high level of commitment from upper level staff at Alamo--they listened to my story in earnest and getting things resolved promptly. I couldn't ask for a more honest and transparent response. Thank-you!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

We received a vehicle with numerous damages and poor mechanical maintenance at Alamo at LAX location. The vehicle was a high mileage, Chevrolet Traverse which I asserted at the airport employee, had damage and scuffs all over the vehicle, however, there was no inspection or walk around despite my claim. I took proper care of the vehicle and ensured it was returned in the exact fashion I received it. I have time proofed pictures to prove previous damage. This car was not taken care of inside and out, (interior was also missing floor mats and smelled musty) and it should not have been on the lot to begin with.

The manager at Alamo said to us that we would hear from them within 7 days and if not, everything is okay. However it took weeks until we received a claim letter that requested our insurance policy and/or credit card number without a claim amount attached. I am beyond frustrated with Alamo. Lastly, the manager at this particular location was extremely rude and aggressive when I inquired about proper vehicle proper maintenance schedules. She simply repeated, "I've doing this for 15 years," over and over again. Which is simply irrelevant to the facts on hand.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I am writing this review to warn potential Alamo customers against the tactics of Alamo staff in the San Francisco airport. First he tried to sell me an upgrade over my original booking. I told him it is only me and I do not need a bigger car but he saw that I have three bags and he kept going about the more expensive upgrade. Then he tried to sell the liability insurance. I told him my credit card covers me. He went on warning me that this credit card (I have this card for more than 20 years) insurance is useless. I refused the insurance but when he gave the form to sign. Luckily I noticed more than $110 increase in the bill. When I inquired he said for the insurance. I told him once again I do not need it.

Then he started lecturing how easy it is to be in accidents and how this insurance will save me a lot when (not if) I get into accidents. At any rate, he had to reprint the form without the insurance and repeating again that he warned me and I did not listen. This took place at around 10:30 PM after a 10 hours flight and I was really tired. Because of his tactics It took me more than 15 minutes to get the car... which is normally around 5-7 minutes with other car rental companies. He made me feel that I am bound to be in trouble when (not if) I get into accident without Alamo additional insurance.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Upon arriving at car rental there was a wait because no cars were available. The transaction occurred, I asked the clerk at the desk if I could pay cash instead of putting it on my card. She said yes, handed me keys... Off I went. Returning the car, I was told my card had been charged. I explained I had paid upon taking possession of the vehicle. I was told it would be reviewed. After I returned home I learned my card had been charged. I CONTACTED THE AIRPORT POLICE.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Called to inquire about driving around LA freeways and all the various toll charges and ensuing Alamo fees. The service person SUCKED. She didn't really care, didn't express any type of apologetic tone, didn't offer up a solution and basically flipped a switch in my brain where I will never call Alamo for the rest of my time on Earth.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Reserved a car from Alamo's Ontario, CA airport location for 10/26/17. Flight was due to arrive shortly before closing, so I called in advance to make sure they'd still be open. I was assured that they ask for flight numbers to make sure to stay open for late customers. Flight was early, I arrived before closing, yet Alamo was closed. Many on the flight also had Alamo reservations and were also stranded late at night. I called Alamo's 800 number to see what my options were, and that rep was absolutely no help. Rented from Hertz at double the price. They said Alamo routinely lies to late flight customers.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I feel like I was railroaded at service counter on October 4 2017. The counter person made us get a much bigger rental car than we booked. He said our luggage wouldn't fit and didn't even let us see if it would fit. Also I didn't see many sedans available and they put us in a SUV. He acted like he was doing me a favor. We felt stranded at the airport. What else could we do? I haven't rented a car in 10 years. My wife and son just wanted to get to a hotel. After all the fees I paid double the price I booked it for.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

GAVIN FROM ORLANDO INTERNATIONAL - Absolutely horrible. Will NEVER book again. The manager gave us false information! All the idiots at the counter barely speak English. Long story short I missed my buddy's deployment. Thanks **!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I picked up a rental vehicle from Alamo at DFW Airport that I had prepaid for. When completing the paperwork the agent pointed out that I had forgotten to initial a section on the contract, so I scribbled my initials and handed it back to her. Turns out she was directing me to sign up for the extended protection plan, which costs $13.99 a day. Now, I should have been paying attention so that's on me, but I had just flown in from a long day of traveling and was jet-lagged, and I feel the agent took advantage of that by being all "Oh, you forgot to sign this part, too!" as though it were something mandatory and had to be signed in order to get the car. I had gone with the prepay gas option and for an economy car (which I had reserved) it was $21; the agent then gave me a free upgrade to a full-sized car without telling me that the cost of a prepaid full tank would go up to $33.48.

I only found this out after I was charged an additional $82.32 the day after I returned the vehicle. I had only used half a tank so I ended up wasting quite a bit of money on gas, in addition to the forty bucks for the extended protection that I was directed to sign up for. If Alamo is going to offer free upgrades they need to let the customer know that that will also increase the cost of the prepaid gas. I feel the agent, although quite nice and helpful, engaged in questionable tactics to maximize the amount of money the company got out of me; an $80 rental ended up costing me twice that after all was said and done. That being said, I will not be renting with Alamo again; although none of this was illegal, it was still unethical and sneaky, and I believe their agents capitalize on airport pickup customers being tired/jet lagged and take advantage of that.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I was overcharged for car rental. After I called several times and stayed on the phone for long time they admitted the overcharge and promised to send me a check for the amount of 130 dollars. But they never did. They changed their word and said I have to get my refund from Orbitz and Orbitz said I have to get from Alamo. They didn't even respond my credit card company when I disputed. Never do business with Alamo and Orbitz.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Rented vehicle at Alamo in Burbank. Reported damage to front of car to person who showed us to car. They told us person at gate would document the damage. Reported the damage to the person at the gate. He said he noted it and let us out of gate. We did not receive anything from him! On returning they noted damage to car. I told them my story and they looked in file, damaged was not noted! Thank goodness we had the extra insurance! What a scam! Do not drive out of the gate without documentation that shows damage to your car. Beware!

Alamo Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.

• Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.

• Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.

• Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.

• Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information

www.alamo.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use