Alamo Car Rental

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

If I could rate no stars that's what I would rate them. I had went thru economy Bookings.com a (3rd party) for my rental. As I arrived to my location (USA New York, New York City, Building 308 Federal Circle, Jamaica,11430), I approached the employee. She asked for my ID, Rental Voucher, and Credit Card which I provided. As she assisted me she said the insurance wasn't covered. It excluded in the US which was fine, I had no problem paying for it separately. However she stated that they had a policy for a $200 deposit which I wasn't aware of. Nowhere on the voucher did it specify that. This was my first time going thru with a car rental. Neither less to say I spoken to the 2 managers ** and **. I express my concerns with them and they couldn't help to fix or resolve my issues. They could have offered other deals where I could afford the deposit and car rental. I just needed it for that Thanksgiving Day.

They were both nasty and rude and also took me outside in this 49 degree New York weather and had me wait outside for 2 hours for no reason. I'm frustrated and angry about what went on. My Thanksgiving was reunion. I came there with a plan to use the rental to visit my family's houses. Also my grandmother that lives in Long Island who is dying from cancer, and I can't even do that. Thank you Alamo and Economic Bookings for Ruining Thanksgiving and wasting my time.

Firstly, I was traveling with my 3 year old. Poor from the beginning. Opted for the "no wait", just pick your car and go, and the daily rental of a car seat. Had to figure out where to go to find my car, then find an employee (who was unloading a truck and didn't appear to want to help). I asked "which car", she said "any mid sized SUV". I asked about the car seat, she pointed to a bunch on the ground next to the building. I checked through 3 vehicles before finding one that didn't smell like vomit.

Upon my return: returned vehicle at 4:17 pm, waited for the shuttle bus back to the airport, flight at 6, boarding at 5:23. 4:36 shuttle arrived, passengers got off, my daughter and I were ready to board and the driver says "oh, I'm not going back to the airport", and turned away. I asked "Is there another one coming soon?" She said "probably in a few minutes". 4:55 next shuttle bus arrives, passengers get off (there are about 25 people now waiting with us). This driver also says he's not going back to the airport and gets in and drives off.

Now, let me make this clear, both buses drive about 50 feet away, park and get out and walk into the building. 5:07 the third bus shows up, many other customers are irritated. I board the bus with my daughter (age 3) and place my stroller (in a bag) along with my small carry-on on the floor (we are second to get on the bus). The driver (Colette) grabs my stroller from my hand and says "those need to go on top". She pulls the bag from my hand and hits my daughter in the mouth. My daughter starts to cry and hold her mouth. Collete merely asks "is she okay?" but continues to put the stroller up and helps other customers who are more concerned with my crying daughter than she is.

After all passengers board, Collete asks if my daughter is ok or if I need to talk to a manager. It's now nearly 5:15 and I say "no, can we please go. We have a flight to catch." Colette, then wastes more time and makes an announcement asking if anyone has left anything in their cars, sunglasses, luggage, personal items, etc. People are looking at her with amazement and asking me if my crying daughter is ok. We will never rent from Alamo again.

I rented a car from Alamo in Tegucigalpa Honduras on August 30-Sept 3rd 2016. They asked me where I was staying and not knowing the country they didn't advise that the vehicle was too small for the area I was going to (rural not very good roads etc). I did upgrade the car since I had unexpected company meet me in the airport and not having enough space in the rental car that I reserved. After the second day there and traveling to the next town over a 1.5 hrs away, I hit a pot hole and got 2 flat tires at the same time. I replaced the front tire with the spare which was new and a different make. I wasn't able to get the flats fixed since the tires blew up and the odd sizes, so I replaced the 2 tires with used ones to get me home and functional again). So I replaced the tires with used ones knowing I will be charged for it.

After returning the car and almost missing my flight home, they wanted to charge me for the spare tire as well as the flat ones that I had bought (which I had to fight with them and wasn't charged). 3 days later they charged me a extra $185 for damages that weren't there after I left the car with them. After disputing the charges they hand wrote the charges on a duplicate slip that they had me sign when I rented the car (not knowing that that's what they do to burn you after you leave). My credit card company after disputing the charges back charged me for the fees since I had signed the empty slip when I rented the vehicle.

So going forward to this week I visited again 11/01-11/04 with my brother. I advised him to not rent from Alamo due to my past experience, so he rented from National but over there it's the same firm. We rented a pickup this time as to not have any issues with tires etc. and 2 of the tires on the rental were bald with another one in front with very little tread on it, it was brought to their attention and they said "don't worry there is a spare and we will fix it should you have an issue." We also did a thorough inspection before leaving and told the attendant about all the damages noted and he didn't check off what we saw only about 10 percent of the dings and scratches etc.

When we returned it they began to thoroughly inspect all the scratches and dings that they were told about and they added a few more which coincidentally came off when rubbed with a cloth. After telling them that we will call Alamo and had them on the phone they said "no worries there will be no extra charges." I complained about my experience to Alamo after my first incident and they dismissed it and I never heard anything else from them. They have the worse customer service that I have ever encountered and it's nothing but a scam to take every customer's money while patronizing their establishments and their country. I will NEVER recommend them or ever spend another dime with Alamo. Just my.02, had to share my experience with them. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!

I rented a car from October 2 through the 9th. On October 5th the hurricane was coming through Florida so we had to evacuate. Called Alamo to tell them that I would be driving the car back to IL. I was told that there was a drop fee. When I got home I took the car back a day early (October 8th). 10 days later a message came on my phone that someone tried to charge tolls on my CC in New York. I sent an email that I felt I had been price gouged for the drop fee and about the tolls. I got a response back that I would get most of my money back. Which was great.

Then 3 weeks later I get a call from Alamo that there was damage done to the car. There was no damage on the car when I dropped it off the day earlier than I was initially suppose to. They are saying that the estimated damage is $520.00. They now just want the money back from the drop fee. I canceled my CC after I got the message on my phone. They are running a very bad business. I've seen more bad reviews than good. They go back to 2012. I would advise people not to rent a car from Alamo.

Being 21 and under the age limit of 25 Alamo gave me the opportunity and security I needed to reserve a vehicle for my trip. When I arrived to Miami International Airport to the rental car center at Alamo everyone was very nice and welcoming the service was fast and the process was easy. From inside service and outside everything was great. When I got outside to get the vehicle, they gave me a free upgrade which I was really excited about. The car was clean and spacious and really good on gas. Even though I had to pay an underage driver's fee it was all worth it. When I dropped the vehicle off I spoke to a man named Jesus who helped me and he was really nice and professional. I would definitely recommend Alamo to everyone I know and I will definitely be renting vehicles from Alamo from now on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

The car was not very clean but the price was good and gas mileage was exactly what I needed. I drove from Columbus, GA to Lakeland, FL and back with no incidents. I returned the car in the same shape I received it in. About two weeks later I get a letter asking for payment for a dent on the rear of the vehicle. I disputed the claim and was told they would conduct an investigation. It was all a joke. In another two weeks I received a letter that said I was contractually obligated and the investigation concluded that I was at fault. $1,333.00 in damages. There was no dent on the vehicle when I returned it. I have two witnesses who can vouch for that and I parked with the rear end facing out at the airport. I know the airport has cameras everywhere. What a joke.

Rented from airport on Maui. Car was so filthy, couldn't even see out of windshield after dark, seats stained, had to wipe grime off of knobs/handles just to use them. After reading the other reviews can't wait for the bill!

I was hit by a passing car and not at fault in a car collision involving an Alamo Rental car in Los Angeles. Alamo left me waiting by the car side for five hours until a tow truck arrived to pick up the car. The car was halfway onto a busy lane on Santa Monica Blvd and I informed Alamo that I and cars driving by were at risk of hitting the vehicle. Alamo told me I would be abandoning the vehicle and responsible for any damages if I left the car. At 9 pm a tow truck arrived, five hours after the accident in a busy Los Angeles neighborhood.

Following the incident I received a call from Alamo in which the agent stated I would have to pay half of the claim. The agents shouted in a hostile voice and said, "You will get your bill in the mail and no further questions." When I asked if I could speak to another representative, then the woman (Talonna **) hung up the phone. I did learn one thing from this process, that this is not a company fit to handle its customers as there is very poor customer support and the staff in many ways beyond unfit to be doing what they do. Sad to have to write such a poor review but I can only hope that no one has to go through this type of ordeal.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I rented a car for 10 days and my CC was charged over $3000.00 US and the regular price is $600-$700US. I have been trying to get this resolved for 3 weeks and I am bounced around with no resolution in sight. Can someone help me recoup my money.

ALAMO CAR-HIRE ORLANDO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. My holiday package came with a hire car and it did not come with a GPS so the manager stated he would upgrade me for the price of a GPS for two weeks which was 70 dollars. When I got home ALAMO charged me 450 dollar. I contacted them and they would not refund the money stating I sign for this, when I did not. After two weeks of emails they would only refund 70 dollars. Nightmare, do not use them.

Alamo is the worst, I will never rent from them again. Not only did they charge me twice for the same car. They would not come to me to exchange cars when I had a problem. I had to take time out of my vacation to return the car to the airport and get another one. Their customer service is rude and unprofessional once they get your money.

I have rented a car on the last minute of our cruise at Cozumel Mexico. The agreement is $105.00 including gas fee. Upon arrival at Miami Airport, Chase Bank alert us that there were charges from Alamo of $580.00. This place are very dishonest and really slick. Bad practices of business. I have never experience this in my life. I have travel almost every part of the world and this is the first. I will try to get my money the legal way and top of that I will file a complaint where I live.

I had a reservation on Saturday Sep 03 to pick up a car from Tampa Airport at 9:00 PM. I was in line for at least 45 minutes and when I got to the counter the representative told me there is no more car left for rent! Really, it is almost 10:00PM and everything were closed! That cost me a fortunate because the only company was opened was FOX rental which 6 Miles away from the Airport and I need to returned to the same location which I have no time for this hassle with the shuttle bus! They are just piece of "you know what I mean".

As a young car renter, I was able to get a deal for under $300 with coverage for 4 whole days! I loved my car (had less than 3000 miles on it) and the people at the service were friendly (San Jose Airport). I am definitely going back to Alamo when I need to rent a car!

I rented a car to drive to my son's Air Force graduation and when I arrived they gave me a wrecked vehicle and refused to give me a different car. The car had a huge dent in it and there were stains all inside the car. The car bounced all over the place while driving it. I contacted corporate back in July and they were contacting the manager to have the money refunded. Hasn't happened. Called corporate back and was told the district manager would contact me and no call from him either. This has been going on since July. DO NOT RENT from this company. I always use Budget but they had all their vehicles in the size I needed rented out.

I will never use Alamo again. Used it at Calgary location for 5 days. Dropped it at 10.30pm as per the contract. They still charged me for one extra day saying that the vehicle was not checked back in till 5.30 am next morning. Never sent any email or any other communication. Just went ahead and charged my cc. Very unprofessional.

4 weeks after returning home from the USA, Alamo continue to take different amounts off our credit card, totaling £125. We have received no explanation why, no letters or emails and do not know why they're doing it. We reported them to our bank as fraudulent transactions but they said it's a "dispute" not fraud. The problem is, we can't get through to Alamo to discuss this dispute! Avoid them entirely. They rip you off and take money from you after you've already paid them a fortune!!!

Do Not Rent from Alamo or Expedia for car rental in Spain. When I arrived at airport, Alamo was closed and I searched everywhere for number to call or someone to contact but no one was available. Every other car rental company was open and I spoke with some of them and they agreed that Alamo should have been open. I had to take taxi to hotel which was quite expensive and then was told the next day that I could come back and get my car, which I did not do because I was over 50 miles away and only needed it 1 more day.

When returning the car for a weekly rental I brought back to Ft. Lauderdale airport they said at 5 am that there was damage to rear bumper. I think they have been doing this to everyone that takes this car out. I saw the damage when I picked up. No one was around to report or paperwork to fill out. The car just came out of car was so they had to see it so it looks like they charged the last person too. What a scam. They charged my card an additional 250 dollars. l think they need to rethink their rental habits or at least give paperwork to fill out when you leave lot. The attendant just in a booth and never gets out to look at car. This company should be reported to the BBC which I am in the process of doing.

We rented a car from Alamo through Expedia at $641.31. Then when we got to our destination in Seattle we were informed our credit card would not swipe. They could not use mine because it was booked under my spouse's name. We had to make a new rental agreement in my name. So with a lot of discussion we ended up renting a car for $683.10. With the understanding that it was in Canadian fund the same as the first rental agreement.

When our bill came in it was $925.80. So I called customer service and spoke to a Natasha that handed me over to a supervisor Linda. She gave me a reference ** and said management from the Seattle branch would contact me. I waited 2 weeks and called back. I spoke to a Stacie which handed me over to a supervisor Dionne. She spoke very low to the point that I said I could not hear her and asked for her to speak louder. She continued to still speak low other than when she found the need to tell me to speak lower. After explaining my concern she simple said there is nothing that could be done about the card not swiping even though it swiped several other time in Seattle and that they would not and could not promise me Canadian currency in the USA. I then asked why I did not get a call back from the first call that I made that I have a reference # for. I asked several time and her response was there was nothing that could be done.

I feel it was very unprofessional for Dionne to respond with that answer and when I requested to speak to someone else she simply said, "Write into our head office and rambled off the address." My advice to you all is if you have to rent from them through a third party make sure if you have problems at Alamo counter you contact your third party before signing any other agreement because once you sign Alamo customer service doesn't care about your concerns.

While traveling to my son's Air Force graduation we reserved a vehicle with these people, but unfortunately, the word (reserved) means absolutely nothing!!! These people are rude, unhelpful, disrespectful, and have an (oh well) attitude. There were 20 or so families in line, all wanting cars because they are there to visit loved ones who are graduating. All but one or two had reserved cars. We were all expecting to get what we reserved... NOPE!!!! This very unpleasant lady comes out and tells us "Too bad folks, we are all out of cars!!!" Now as soon as she said that, the people with reserved vehicles were very unhappy, to say it lightly. However, she did tell us that cars could be delivered to our hotels, and be ready by 530am.

I was almost ready to accept this, that is until we were told that they magically had a car for us... great news!! And it almost made me happy, that is if it weren't for the fact that the people who are running that place in San Antonio are Liars. We had a car... yes. Our problem was solved... yes. Then as we go out with the lady to get our car, the guy working the lot, throws his hands up and says "I thought we were telling people we didn't have any more car?" and stormed off!!! I can not describe to you the outrage that I observed from the rest of the families but I assure you that I'm sure your company lost all their business, and I guarantee you I will never trust your company again. Anyone who tries to rent a car from here is a fool!!

In Tucson Arizona at the airport the car rental customer service inside was terrible. The man "taking care" of us asked for my credit Cards though I had prepaid. The next thing I know he is running extra charges on my card without my consent or any kind of explanation. When I ask him about it he then says there is an $11 charge for each extra driver. Which added an extra $220 for my trip. I had no time to prepare or discuss this ahead of time with my road trip companions and thus felt trapped especially when I questioned the man further he proceeded to go into how difficult it would be to take the drivers off again and to reverse the charges. Needless to say we were less than happy at how we were treated and felt as if we had no choice in the matter.

When we reached our destination we called an Alamo nearby. They were extremely friendly and accommodating. They were puzzled at the extra charges and the woman was so sweet that she reversed all charges! Then upon returning to Tucson, my card was then charged again for the extra driver. I saw no notice in the contract about any charges for extra drivers. I have rented vehicles before with multiple drivers and have never been charged before.

Consumer Increased Rating!

When I posted my initial complaint I tried calling customer service but did not have much luck so I used Alamo's website and posted my concerns there. This was on a Sunday so I did not expect any response but by Monday late afternoon I did get an email response that it had been turned over to the servicing agent in Portland Maine. Fast forward to Wednesday afternoon I did receive a phone call from Camden ** and could not pick up as I was on a work call. Called the number provided and after several attempts were called backed. I have to say I was surprised that they were willing to listen.

Pointed out that the Dodge Charger was a rear wheel drive vehicle not noted for having good visibility out the rear and has a 37-foot turning radius versus the Ford Fusion having front wheel drive, good rear visibility, and an 18' turning radius. Did not feel for my situation that the vehicles were similar. Also complimented them on the Chevrolet Traverse which is AWD, bad rear window visibility, great side view mirror and backup camera but a 40' turning radius. Not a bad vehicle but not great for what I was doing and something I would not have chosen to rent. I also told them if the Dodge Charger was the vehicle listed as the one I would be given for the class I chose I would not have chosen that contract. When you look at the site for Alamo and a few others they do not list what they include in a class but only give one example.

Camden ** has told me they are going to refund the upcharge for the larger vehicle and refund me the fuel fill option so I could return it with any amount of fuel. I still plan on returning the vehicle fully. I just want what I reserved and nothing more. I retract my statement that I would not rent from Alamo. I will still consider them in Portland Maine. It is a shame they do not have the option of skipping the counter in Portland Maine and going to straight to your car. I appreciate Camden's help.

William of Bradenton, FL on

Original Review

I have rented from Alamo twice to my recollection and both have not been pleasant experiences. I will not be making the same mistake again. I rented a few years back in Denver, Colorado. I had made a reservation weeks prior to arrival. While standing in line I noticed that it was taking a long time to process the customers and as I got closer the reason for lengthy time was their upselling the customer from insurance to getting the fuel tank fill option to a different vehicle to additional features such as a GPS or child seat. Since I was aware of this when I reached the employee I was brow beaten on each item. "Would you like to buy our insurance?" I was ready for this... I had called my carrier and they had gone over my vehicle insurance and was told I was covered just like my own car. "No, I do not want to buy additional insurance." They brow beat on this for a bit and moved on to the next item.

"Do you want to upgrade?" Here they got me... we were driving into the mountains and they convinced me the car I was renting would not do well in the mountains. I bit and upgraded to a vehicle with a larger engine. Then they got me to purchase the fuel refill. When I went to return the vehicle I looked at the final bill and it was much higher than they told me at the counter. I fortunately had the time to stand my ground and wait for a manager. My up charge went from $400 to $280. I thought job well done on my part but also realized that everything they sold me was not necessary. The vehicle I had originally rented was the same one I saw all over the place driving up the mountain. No need for a larger engine. The hard to find gas prior to returning the car would have been easily solved at the huge gas station right before the airport entrance. I thought... I will not rent from these people again.

Fast forward several years and the fog of time. I had made a reservation through Hotwire a couple of weeks prior to arriving in Portland Maine. We had gotten up at 4 AM to catch our flight and everything went smoothly until we reached the line for rental cars. It was HUGE... like THANKSGIVING huge on a Friday arrival with no major holiday. In all fairness all the lines for all the rental cars were just as long. I stood in line for over an hour... feeling bad... then looking behind me at the twelve other people and then feeling lucky I was as the spot I was. It was taking forever to get to the counter and when I finally reached the counter every other line for every other rental agency had somehow processed all their customers and my line was still HUGE. When I was next in line I realized and remembered why I should not rent from Alamo. The upselling... they were upselling. This is why the line was so HUGE.

It was my turn... "Would you like to buy our insurance?" NO. Then "Are you sure you know what you are doing? Why something could happen and they would take your first born child..." I do like my first born but not the second so I figured if it came to that I would hand that child off and lie bout the birth order. Wanting to throw a carrot to the agent I said, "I will take the fuel option" hoping that they would be happy with this and they were. Then they told me the Ford Fusion was not available and the only choice was a Dodge Charger. I had rented the Dodge Charger from another rental agency and hated it... rear wheel drive which caused problems when driving on wet roads, hard to see out of the back due to the roof design and a terrible turning radius. This coming from a guy who would drive anything but hated the week I had the Dodge Charger. I know why they are in the rental fleet. NO ONE WILL BUY THEM.

Here I am thinking that once again I am stuck in a Dodge Charger and it is raining to beat the band. I grit my teeth... "Do you have anything else?" I ended up paying another $140 to upgrade to an SUV. Now mind you that is not an unfair deal. However... it is not what I had reserved weeks prior. My 4 AM brain took over as I signed over another $140 to rent a vehicle I would have never chosen... except under duress. I could have gone to other rental agencies but I saw a number of people who had not made a reservation be rejected because the other rental companies could not accommodate them. They were now behind me in an even more HUGE line that had twenty people. The SUV I was offered was nice but it is too big... hard to get out of the driveway of where we are staying (which is a narrow drive) and the vehicle has a poor turning radius.

Well I will not rent from Alamo again and neither should you. Cannot return the vehicle to the airport to try and swap out to the Ford Fusion I thought I was getting because where we are staying is four hours from the airport. I saved $13 on the weeks rental over the other agencies. So I guess I am only down $127 for a vehicle I did not want. Note the rental agency was selected through Kayak which showed HOTWIRE with the best pricing. Final Note: When I think back on this experience I felt mislead. Did all the people behind me not have a reservations? Because if they did their choices were a Dodge Charger or something larger. The agent never offered a smaller vehicle over the full size we had reserved.

They are complete thieves, and seem to be getting away with it. I paid for the same car twice (yes, maybe I'm stupid!) but I needed a car, and then they found a second technicality to refuse me the car!! The desk staff were unhelpful (Geneva Airport) - no one from management would speak to me, and 4 weeks to the day on I have not had a reply to my written complaint to Customer Service. Book at your peril!!!

While trying to reserve a SUV in San Francisco for a week, I figured I would sign up for their Insiders to get additional discount on my rental. I started my search and found a 1-week rental at a great price of $286 all included. When I tried to reserve it, it ended up timing out. I tried again and it did the same thing. I figured they were having issues on their end and I would try again tomorrow. Tomorrow came and I tried again in the morning. I found that the rental price went from $286 to $430 for that same time frame. I called and then emailed Alamo and told them what happened and they basically said too bad so sad.

I have been looking for the past 2 weeks and cannot find a cheaper rate. So I decided I would book with Alamo at that $430 rate knowing I would get an additional 5% off for Insiders. So I tried to book it and it wasn't taking off the 5%. I emailed once again and they said there was an issue and they are working on it for me. Still haven't heard back and now the rental is up to $457. What a bunch of bs this is.

I booked a rental car through Priceline. The provider was Alamo at the DCA airport. I called Alamo and told them I would need a car to hold two adults and two large suitcases and was assured that was no problem. Then I was notified that I had a Kia Rio or similar car. Again, I called and was told it would be straightened out at the airport. When I arrived to pick up the car, I was told it was not big enough, and I was charged another fee for a larger car. The car was great, and while the extra cost was an issue, we enjoyed the car. When I returned it, tank full, car clean, I was charged another $173. I didn't want to miss the flight home, and no one could tell me what the fee was.

I called Priceline and was told they would straighten it out. I called Alamo and was told it was a mistake and the amount would be returned in 3 business days. Ten dates later, it hasn't been returned, and no one at Alamo or Priceline can tell me what the charge was for or why it was charged when I returned the car. I called Priceline today and was yelled at by the woman who took the call. I was told that if they charged me, I owed the money and had better pay it. The one bright spot was that when one of the workers at the car return saw us struggling with luggage and medical devices and told us to wait as he would take us to the terminal. He did so and helped us with the luggage.

Last month I rent a car from Alamo and it took me getting in and out of 3 different car styles to finally find a car that was working as expected. The car I ended up with was a downgrade from what I paid for. When I returned the car they noticed a ding on the bumper which I had to explain I was not responsible for and that the issues I had getting a car that didn't have a flat tire or had a working USB. I would a least expect Alamo to have a record of all dings a day scratches on their vehicles.

The second issue is with the cleanliness of there cars. I didn't notice how gross the interior when I got the car as my flight was late and I was tired. Today I returned the car that had stains all on the inside. Gross!! I can't have business colleagues in that category. I did inform them of this on return. Also there were no mats.

When I made a reservation for a car to be picked up in Boston, I chose the compact car or larger rate, and they pick the size according to what is available at pickup time. The guaranteed compact size only was $20 more for the week. When I arrived at the counter to get the car, they told me there was only a pickup truck available. It was never explained when I agreed to the "and larger" vehicle that it included trucks. I needed to transport 4 people and all the luggage. It was raining and I could not put the luggage outside in the back of a truck, even if I could use a pickup truck the gas mileage would be horrible.

I explained this to the counter person who was rude and basically blew me off saying that was what I had agreed to. She had no answer when I asked why they didn't specify that trucks were included in the promotion. I told them I could not use a truck, that I needed a car. She said I could have a car but it would cost me $89 more. I said no and asked for a refund on my already charged credit card. I was told I'd have to take that up with corporate.

She refused to let me speak with a supervisor, and then said she could give me a car for $49 more. She again had no answer when I said "if you have the car to give me at a higher price, why can't you give it to me at the price I contracted for." I took the car because I had to leave and didn't want to pay for the car twice and then have to deal with the hassle of trying to get a refund later. The rental ended up costing me $400 for a week, the same amount as my flight from Florida to Boston. I looked up what that rental would cost me for this week (2 days after my week ended) and it was $223. How can a week make that much difference?

When I went to pick up the car, the agent in the garage had no idea what the counter person did. He didn't even know what car to give me. He eventually said "oh, just take that car over there," which was a Chrysler 200. The car was filthy, the seats were all stained, I had to stop the car to clean the inside of the windshield because it had horrible glare because it was so dirty, and there were papers on the floor. This car had obviously never been cleaned when it was last returned. I will never rent from Alamo again! You shouldn't either.

I have just returned from Orlando where I had pre-booked a car through my travel agent. When getting to the desk to pick up my car I was told that the car I had pre-booked would not be big enough for 2 adults and 2 children plus four cases. If you look at some of the other reviews this appears to be a recurring theme. I was convinced by the lady behind the desk that I should take a bigger model for the two week holiday so paid the upgrade ($350) and went to pick up the car in the garage. She also offered me a sat nav so I could find my way round Orlando. No mention was made at this point about the sat nav costing me money and thought that this was part of the upgrade as they had no cars with a built in sat nav. Having waited 20 minutes I was approached by the manager and told that the SUV I had just upgraded to was not available so he gave me a complimentary upgrade.

When approaching this new upgrade the car I had been convinced to upgrade to was parked next to the car I was now being offered! In the event I took the complimentary upgrade and went to exit the garage. Driving round to the exit I noticed the model of car I had pre-booked. It was a Dodge Grand Caravan (think Ford Galaxy on a few steroids) which is amply big enough for a family of 4. However I was in a rush to collect the keys to the villa so left the garage and drove to pick up the keys and on to the villa. In the morning I went back to Orlando airport and downgraded to the car I had pre-booked. The guys in the garage could not have been more helpful and they refunded my $350 that I had paid for the upgrade.

At that point a new invoice was provided which explained I could return the car empty and it was covered by the "fuel service option". First thing... you don't need this and it will be cheaper for you to refuel before returning the car (it will be cheaper). On returning home I checked my credit card bill and found a charge of $221 rather than the $66 I was expecting. I then phoned Alamo and explained that at no time was I told the sat nav would be an extra cost (I was expecting this for free as Alamo couldn't offer me a car with a built in sat nav). To be fair Alamo did, eventually, return this money to my credit card but I just feel as if they were trying it on every time you interacted with them.

I certainly wished I had found this site and checked up on Alamo before flying. This is the first review I have ever left in over 50 years of holidaying and hope it allows others to look out for some of the tricks Alamo try and pull when you pick up a car from them.

UPDATED ON 08/12/2016: Quick update from my last review. Checked my credit card bill today and found I had been charged $34.30 for tolls whilst in the USA. When I took the car I was told that it was a maximum of $19.75 for the duration of the rental and I have one of Alamo's flyers confirming this. I have been in contact with Alamo again... Watch this space!

I rented a car out of BWI - Baltimore Airport, MD from 07/16/2016 - 07/18/2016. Upon return, the associate at Check-IN said "leave the keys in the car" and I was good to go, so I left since I was in a hurry. There was no pre-check or post check of the vehicle done and there was no damage occurred during the rental. Next day I get a call from ALAMO accusing me of damage on the front driver side which is a LIE, there was no damage. How can you accuse customer after leaving the rental check-in, this is a fraud/scam. Upon research I found I am not the only guy fallen for this SCAM.

I want you to investigate on this immediately and take action asap to avoid further legal action against the company. I want all the video recordings and I will gather all evidences as well and put an end to this SCAM. Send me a reference number immediately for this case. Let me know if you need further information. You will be on social media as well as the news for this SCAM soon and all your associates are liable for this fraud. TAKE ACTION IMMEDIATELY!

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.
  • Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.
  • Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.
  • Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.
  • Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.
  • Best for Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Compare Rental Cars