Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.70/5

818 Alamo Car Rental Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 15, 2019

As a travel agent, I often hear about rental nightmares. They were out of the car that we had reserved. They upgraded us (at no charge) and were friendly and polite, making up for the error. We chatted while we waited for the paperwork to get settled and the desk employee walked us to our car, apologizing for the delay and the mistake. He went beyond the normal and made us feel like our rental mattered. Thank you, Grand Rapids!!

Original review: April 12, 2019

Rented a mid-sized car from Alamo through Costco recently. The car was available at the Costco rate although they had other cars including BMWs and Mustangs but at double the price. Had to say no three times to potential upgrades but understand they have an incentive to get you to upgrade. Put less than 400 miles on the car for the week but the car ran well and was clean.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Mercy the manager and the ladies are the best at Alamo Car Rental. Thank you for excellent service. I was in and out in ten minutes. They were all professionals. Thank you... Thank you. Hertz reminds me of the yellow cabs. They never thought Uber, Lyft or Juno would make it affordable. Hertz needs say are for ** business only. They also need to inform men like Dalmane that sexual harassment lawsuits apply to gay.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I Rented a full size car thru the Alamo website for Denver International airport and chose no additional options that require payment. I chose the “skip the line” option. My flight was delayed due to weather for 4 hours so I called and let them know. I was told no problem and they hold reservations for 24 hours. We arrived and took the shuttle to the rental spot. I skipped the long line inside and went straight out to pick my car. First two smelled of smoke and the trunks were too small for our luggage so we chose a Ford Fusion. Did a once over on the car and found several dings/scratches/damages to the car and reported them on the way out.

Car did well until the next to last day when it overheated twice in the mountains. My husband looked at the fuel levels and they all were good but we were a little leery of trying to cross the Continental Divide with an overheating car. We called the Roadside Assistance and spoke to Adam. After many back and forth calls, we were told they would have to get a tow truck from Pueblo and pick up our car in Gunnison. Then the tow truck would take the car to Montrose, exchange it for another and bring it back to us in Gunnison and then the tow truck would have to drive back to Pueblo all on our dime because I did not purchase the Roadside Assistance package. OR we could drive the car to Montrose ourselves and exchange the car. This would only take maybe 3 hours round trip for us and the car was still reliable on fairly flat road. We chose the latter.

Adam said he would notify Montrose of us needing to exchange a car and everything should be ready when we got there. Of course when we got there, there was no advance notice that we would be coming but Joe was right on it! Only problem here was no full size cars available so we ended up with a mini-van. That was ok since we only had one day left. When we returned the car to DIA, the manager on site, Carlton, was more than kind and understanding and actually gave us a credit toward the cost of the rental for our inconvenience. I would think Alamo should look into their training and customer service. Many of the reviews are awful. I was fortunate and had helpful and kind people on my rental this time but it would make me think twice about renting from them again.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I am seeing many complaints. When I went to pick up my car in Phoenix, the agents were kind, helpful, and caring. They gave me excellent directions on how to get to the highway. The man who directed me to the car was a real gentleman who opened the door for me. I heard "please", "Thank you" and "Have a wonderful vacation". I am not sure how many of the reviewers have ever worked behind a counter and have had to serve the public. It is not always easy. The public wants perfection and our world isn't perfect. You need a vehicle, you rent it, you return it in good condition. The end. Yes, they convinced me to upgrade to a full size car, but I am happy that I did. I had a comfortable ride and a lovely vacation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: June 21, 2019

Be very careful renting from Alamo at the Asheville airport. Arrive late at night in late May and picked up my vehicle which was suppose to be an economy car and to my surprise it was a Ram Truck. I inspected it, no damage. This vehicle was way too big for my liking, so I drove it over to the airport Holiday Inn where I was staying, stayed the night and in the morning called Alamo and asked if I could exchange the truck for a smaller car and they were fine. Returned the vehicle to an employee named Scottie, we both inspected the car and then he told me to go to the counter and tell them that Scottie said the vehicle was clear and get another car. He gave me no paperwork in the exchange. Got another car.

About an hour later a gentleman left a message on my phone saying that the rear of the car was damaged and he needed information for his report, he said the best way to contact him was to email, which I did and I said in my email that there was no damage to the truck, I only drove it like 5 miles. Return the car I exchanged at the end of the week, no problem, no mention of the truck. That was the last I heard from Alamo for 2 weeks. I got a letter about two weeks later saying that I damaged the car, no detail of what kind of damage and that I should file a report with insurance/credit card. I requested details from Alamo and informed my insurance companies that I did not damage the truck and they took statements.

Finally this week, the proof they sent me was a joke. They sent me an invoice from a company called Bumper Man for $150.00 as proof and then a bill basically that said that I owed them $200, $150 for the damage and $50 for administrative costs. No accident incident report, no pictures, that's it. My credit company agreed to pay but they totally ripped both me and the credit card company off. What Alamo does not realize that they have created such bad will with me and my family, that no matter what the price I will not rent from them. You put a lot of trust in a company when you rent a car, and they totally broke my trust. I did reach out to the corporate customer service people at Alamo and they said they referred the issue to Asheville Alamo customer service, but I never heard from them. This whole experience made me feel totally ripped off with no recourse.

Original review: June 21, 2019

We rent a car in Copenhagen airport from 2019 May 11 to 18. Rent a car with full insurance, mechanical drive. Rentalcars.com reserve money from my account. When we arrive to take car first surprise that they don't have car with mechanical drive, only automatic (surprise No1!). Ok we take automatic (I never drive automatic, and take a very big stress). On second day we found in car the keys from other car. On 3 or 4th day someone call from Alamo company and they speak only in Denmark language! I'm glad what my sister who live in Denmark was closed to me and she talk with Alamo. They asked about car that we drive registration number! They get us car and don't know which, they don't tagged public number for themselves (surprise number 2!).

After our trip we return car and the worker of Alamo said everything is ok. We get back our deposit. And finally they take from my account 1276.20 DKK on May 21 day. I asked for Rentalcars.com, but they can't explain it to me. I searching email from Alamo, but i can't find it. They have website that you can't write your questions (surprise no 3!). I second time asked Rentalcars.com to send me proving documents, but they said ask to Alamo. So I don't recommend take a rent from Alamo or website Rentalcar.com. Now I hope the European customer center will help me to get answer.

Original review: June 20, 2019

We flew into Newark with a layover in Seattle. Called Alamo to make a reservation. Advised the rep our plane was late & he assured us no problem. “Your car will be waiting for you.” Arrival we were told no reservation. No more cars. Airport rep was not helpful. I’m disabled and it’s the middle of the night.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I had booked a car for 2 days using my Citi Thankyou points, and the cost was about $152. In the counter I had explicitly said I have my own insurance. The clerk told me the rental charge will be $151.8 for 2 days which I agreed to, thinking the thankyou points will cover that because that amount was same as the rental charge. What I didn't realized was that the clerk applied all available insurance options under the sun, and that added to $151.8. I only realized this when I got the bill during car return, but by then it was too late. I disputed this to my credit card but they sided with Alamo because I did sign the papers. Reading from other reviews, looks like this is common because the clerks get commission. Never renting with Alamo again.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I rented a vehicle May 2019. They charged us for additional ins upon pick up Even though we have full coverage! I did get that refunded. 2 weeks after I was home I got a call from Alamo saying I damaged the van and were responsible, knowing that I hadn't, I have disputed it time and time again to the many people they have transferred me to, but no one can seem to show me proof that there was no scratch on it when I picked it up. And of course they didn't do a walk around when I picked it up, just pointed us in to the van and said the keys are in it. But did a walk around when I dropped it off, but nothing was noted about a scratch! Note to self always make them do a walk around and take pictures yourself.

Original review: June 17, 2019

This was my first and last experience with Alamo and I have rented from others like Enterprise and Hertz. I paid 40 bucks a day for a tiny Accent. It ran fine, so there is the silver lining. It turned me off that the car was not cleaned inside. There were layers of thin dirt and dust sitting on the dashboards and there were spots of brown gunk all over the side door panels. They got the most they could out of me for the worst vehicle. Maybe they thought I would upgrade when I saw it because they were pushy salespeople too. I was headed to a funeral so I had no time to change to a different company at the airport. All the other companies I have rented from had better cars for less money so go with one of them.

Original review: June 14, 2019

When I picked up my car, it was later at night. I was given no paperwork to do a pre-check for damage. The car lot had very poor lighting but I didn't notice any damage when I approached it. When I returned the car, they of course found damage on the front grill. I told them the situation and that this did not happen while I had it. The person handling the return said that there would be no issues with it and that I would not be charged for it.

At this point, I was thinking that Alamo was a great company and that they were very nice to work with. I kept my paperwork for 10 days just in case something came up. In hindsight I should have kept it longer because 2 weeks later a notice came in the mail that I was being billed for damage. I have to think they do this on purpose, tell me there will be no issues so that I don't document anything and then wait 2 weeks later hoping stuff will be discarded or misplaced. I have learned my lesson in dealing with Alamo. Very dishonest company.

Original review: June 6, 2019

My family and I were on our way to Sedona, AZ and flew to Phoenix, AZ on an early morning flight from Chicago. At the Phoenix airport we were excited to pick out the perfect rental car from Alamo for my parent's first vacation since my Mom's retirement. We had planned this trip over 2+ years ago and had been looking forward to it for a very long time. We chose a new black Chrysler Pacifica with only 12K miles - we were thrilled to be hitting the road and on our way to Sedona.

However, about 40 minutes into our drive, while driving along twisty, mountainous roads, the power steering in the car went out. All of the alerts and warning signs on the dashboard lit up, and the air conditioning went out as well. You can imagine the seriousness and unsafe position this put me and my family in. My poor parents were petrified as my father tried to pull us over while dodging cars with no power steering. Meanwhile, my family of 5 was sweating bullets due to the 95+ degree heat, stuck in car without air conditioning.

The roadside was unsafe and unfit as there was little shoulder and the car broke down right around a tight and steep downhill curve. Thankfully, after a long (and hot) stint on the side of the road, we were able to get the car to a gas station and pulled over. It is here where we spent OVER 5+ HOURS of our vacation. The vacation my parents had saved for years for. The vacation that we looked forward to and planned every detail on. The vacation that we missed an entire day's worth of activities, reservations, and fun memories. A day completely and utterly ruined by Alamo and its extremely poor customer service and response time. Not to mention, the unsuitable and extremely unsafe vehicle conditions that put my entire family's safety at risk.

As a result of the hot car and no AC, all of our food we had bought for our weekend trip was spoiled, we were forced to have breakfast and lunch at the diner next to the gas station (charges we did not want or expect to make), we missed all of our reservations and planned excursions for the day, and missed out on an entire day of memories as a family. To me, this is invaluable - and can never be made good.

No monetary amount can erase the awful experience we had with Alamo and their customer service representatives. My father and I spent 2+ hours either on hold or on the phone with the 6 representatives that were not only unhelpful, but unsympathetic to the situation. It is unfortunate that my parents who saved up their hard working money and gave up their valuable time had to spend their entire first day (of only a 3.5 day vacation) at a gas station on the side of a road in the middle of a desert. NEVER EVER USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I will never rent a car from Alamo again. NEVER! they charged me way above than I expected. So many hidden fees. I wonder why there were on me and other guy in line at their counter at Louisville SDF airport and long lines at the counters of other renters. I got my lesson, and me and friends will use others from now on. I was given a car that I didn't signed up for and yet made pay for the same price.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Since we come to FL on holidays, we always rent our SUV at Alamo. Never had any issues. Cars are like new and hardly any miles. Clean and nice to drive. In Europe, it is most of the time the opposite with European companies. Both at MCO as well as at MIA staff is very friendly and helpful. Kudos to Alamo!

Original review: May 28, 2019

I rent a car from this location and returned safely. After a while I was connected for a loss on the car, totally impossible. Though the damage was recorded on file after my returning mileage, they did not care about my objections. They forced me to pay $1,200+ for a loss probably happened during car wash or parking after my return. I can barely claim with clues that the damage report is at least one mile after my return and at least 3 days after my return. I am still trying to avoid paying this loss caused by someone else which I do not know. They sent me a loss payment request full of conflicts and false information.

I had returned my car one day earlier since I finished my business early. Normal return time was 3-30-2019, I returned on 3-29-2019. They show on the loss file that loss date is 3-30. On the other hand, the damage report is dated 4-2-2019, 4 days after my return. Also the damage mileage is reported one mile after my return on one place, 2 miles after my return on another place. If the car was moved after my return, how can’t I be responsible of that??? I do not know if they damaged the car during car wash after me, or next car’s door bumped on the dent after I parked at rental return parking lot. This company tries to push you pay their own loss and never cares about your objections. They know that customers won’t have enough time, power to fight and way to go to the courts and that my insurance will pay that in a way and justice is not an issue. Never suggest this rental company!

Original review: May 27, 2019

We reserved our rental van we needed through Alamo to get from the Indianapolis airport to my in-laws just outside of Louisville, Kentucky. We picked the van up on a Sunday afternoon and dropped off on a Monday morning. We reserved the rental van a week in advance for a stated $74.50. Nowhere on our reservation was anything stated about paying additional amounts for dropping off at a separate location. We thought we were free and clear as long as we returned the van by the time stated in the condition in which we rented full of gas.

We were shocked to find we were charged an additional $137.89 simply for dropping the van off at a different location at the Louisville airport. Keep in mind Indianapolis and Louisville airports are very close to one another (about 2 hours) and we only spent about $17 gas. It was absolutely ridiculous to be charged an additional fee simply for dropping off at a different location, I mean that is why we rented the van in the first place. Then to charge us without telling us is insane. Needless to say, we will NEVER be using Alamo for rental cars again.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I went on a trip with my wife and kids to Miami for a Disney Cruise, and our flight home was the next day in Orlando. I have booked a rental at Alamo from Costco travel ahead of time for a 1 day rental. Pickup Friday (May 3th 2019) morning at 9 am in Miami downtown and return 4 am at Orlando Airport next day (Saturday, May 4th 2019). Arrived a bit late for the pickup cause our Cruise took longer than expected to let us off, but no issue there. Got there and spoke to the agent about my rental, they said the car I selected was still available, they will bring it right up. 15mins later, they brought a Nissan Altima (different than what I picked). Told me, this car was an upgrade since its "full" car bigger than the one I picked. Whatever, I was in a rush; Agent didn't do a walk around. So I did it myself; found nothing noticeable regarding damage, other the trunk wasn't working with the key they gave me.

Told the Agent about the issue, she said the key was replaced recently so that might be an issue, just open it from the inside. Also waited for the infant seat that I requested but wasn't in the car; another 10mins. No issue there; fast forward. I return the car at 4 am at Orlando International Airport (MCO) on May 4th 2019; staff did a check; walk around, gas, trunk, etc. No issue; gave them the key. I was told nothing else was needed, I can be on my way now. 3 weeks later; I just got an email from ** regarding a damaged loss claim. Within the email, there we no detail of the damage other than a PDF telling me the process of the claim and a form for my insurance. I sent a reply today and will be waiting for an update. This is not the first time I rented a car in the US but the first and LAST time with Alamo; reading all the reviews now of scamming claims like mine and I wonder how Alamo is still in business.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Upon returning our rental car we encountered Tameka an Alamo employee. Tameka accused us of damaging the car, tried to march us around the garage from agent to agent to only find that the car had been previously damaged. The car should have been available to rent. When we asked Tameka where should was taking us- she refused to respond. Asked her name- she refused to respond. Asked her to speak up so we could hear her- she refused to respond. We asked her for our receipt- she refused to respond. All this hostile treatment from Tameka when we didn’t even damage the car. Horrendous experience. Won’t rent from Alamo at New Orleans Intl Airport again! No apology- No acknowledgment.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Worst experience of my life! I never take the coverage through the company, because honestly who doesn't take better care of a rental than you do your own vehicle. So we fly into ATL and at the car rental wing they have kiosks to get your rental contract. Got our contract. Note, nowhere in the check-in process does it state anything about a walk around. We then go out to the parking garage to get our vehicle. We are stopped by a worker who looks at our contract and says we can pick any pickup truck in this isle and the keys are in it. All vehicles are backed into the space. (This agent also did not say anything about doing a walk around).

We pick a 19 Chevy pickup. Load our 1 piece of luggage and head to the exit booth. Once at the exit booth the worker asked if the vehicle was full, we told her yes. She asked if we wanted to refuel or pre-pay, told her we would bring it back full. She said, "Great, have a great trip". Again nothing about doing a walk around.

So we have the car from Friday afternoon to early Monday morning. We pull in and the first thing the guy says is, "What about this dent on the bumper" (I mean walked right to it like he knew it was there) and of course we tell him we did not do it and that not 1 person did a walk around before we left. He said he has to report it and I will hear from Alamo.

So fast forward a week and we get a bill from Alamo stating not only was there a dent in the bumper, but one above the tail light??? I mean do you think I karate kicked the truck??? And they want $3,000.00. The worker from the airport stated there are great cameras there and they would be able to show what that truck looked like when we pulled out. I have called and left messages and have even emailed with no response. I want PROOF that we left that airport with no damage to that truck. Will NEVER rent from this company or any of its affiliates again! There are plenty of other rental companies. Go somewhere ELSE!

Original review: May 13, 2019

First I NEVER take their expensive insurance because it’s highway robbery. The intake person at the Cleveland Airport was determined for there to be a problem when I returned the vehicle. He asked me to look at the two tone paint. “Do you see this? The paint is different colors!” I said I don’t see anything. Then he said “well the grill seems lose like it’s been replaced.” I said ok thinking why is asking me that? He stated that there was no damage, scratch or dent to the vehicle but he was going to report it as a Change in Condition so it can be investigated. I was so pissed I canceled my other car rental and went to Avis.

So the implication is that I wrecked the car and had it painted and repaired in 5 days? WTF. The guy was clearly overzealous and wanting to make his case about absolutely nothing. I think it’s a scam to see if I will provide my insurance information so they can bill my insurance for anything they want since I declined theirs. Make no mistake. I will NEVER RENT FROM ALAMO again in any state. So to make a long story short. In 5 days it

Original review: May 8, 2019

By far the worst experience I have had with a rental company. I've had a problem because the vehicle was towed and they won't release it to me. I spoke to at least 10 different people from the corporate office, out of whom nobody seemed to know anything or what has to be done. I called the local office at the Seattle airport at 4-5 in the afternoon on a Friday, many times, and no one answered or returned my calls. I spoke to their manager at the airport on the day I was catching my flight home and he give me a business card with his name and a number and an extension - the only thing that the number on the card was them, main office number and option to put an extension. So a week later I still don't have a final bill or receipt. For all I know they could have kept the vehicle at the towing place for more than a week and then charge me for it. Their customer service is "non-existing"! I knew I should go with Budget as usual!

Original review: May 4, 2019

We flew into Las Vegas on 4/29/19 with a pre-paid package "Air & Auto Rental" through our carrier 'Sun Country' airlines for confirmed 5 days rental of RAV4 or similar mid-sized 4X4 SUV with navigation. Our destination was the Grand Canyon. Arriving at the Vegas rental counter, Marge was extremely accommodating and handled our transaction smoothly. Everything soon went south.

When issued our SUV, a newer BMW, I asked the attendant to explain/demonstrate the function of the nav system. After many repeated unsuccessful attempts by the attendant and myself, we were forced to return to the Alamo rental counter, Marge apologetically refunded our cost of the upgraded GPS option. I stated "It would take a PhD in GPS to operate that GPS!" Thankfully we brought along our reliable "Garmin" GPS for backup! We were then issued a Jeep SUV 4X4 w/o GPS.

Once in Grand Canyon (250 miles from Vegas), the following early morning found us locked out of the Jeep! Calling roadside service, she stated a replacement vehicle would be delivered originating from Flagstaff and would arrive by 12 noon by a towing service. As it turned out, the batteries in the key fob were dead and we needed to disassemble the fob to unlock the vehicle so as to remove our belongings.

Our replacement vehicle was delivered mid-afternoon, obliterating most of our long anticipated plans. It arrived with 3/4 tank of fuel which, as part of our rental agreement was not met, as we returned this same vehicle with a full tank. Nor was it a 4X4 as we had contracted. We had a limited amount of time for this long-in-the-planning "vacation" and thus, forfeited our opportunity to take the 3-day raft trip through the Canyon. When returning the vehicle today (5/3/19) to Las Vegas Alamo, the Supervisor Morgan said "ordinarily, you would owe another $25.00 but I'll deduct that". I was not given an explanation why, exactly, I OWED an additional $25.00, but her profuse apologies over what had transpired, and needing to catch our flight home, I wanted nothing more to do with her or car rentals... Particularly from Alamo!

We are thoroughly disgusted and vowing never to rent from Alamo again. As 1st time car renters, you have made a life-long (-) impression! If the ratings would allow negative entries you would certainly earn 5 (-) stars. "Marge" at the Las Vegas counter is your rare exception to an otherwise sloppy, poorly run, money grubbing (my perception) organization.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Rented a car in Buffalo from a dark parking garage. No one inspected the car with me so I ASSUMED it was good to go. Mind you this car that I put my luggage in was 8 inches off the bumper it was parked in front of it was backed into the spot as all of these cars are. Lot of the story short I didn’t realize until I got to Rochester late, that’s a bumper was dented/dinged. I didn’t think anything of it because no one said anything. I’ve rented cars before that had scratches or dents.

When I try to turn the car in at Syracuse international airport, the lady that checked in all the sudden is doing this fine tooth comb inspection. Then she says we have to go in and do a report because there is this being on the on the bumper which I explained was not my doing. Long of the story, Alamo tried to get my insurance information to open a claim against my insurance for damage done by another renter. As soon as I said that I was going to hire a private investigator to pull surveillance of my car rental leaving the airport parking garage, where I know 100% they have MANY cameras, all of the sudden, they began to change their tune. They called up to the regional office in Buffalo where this man who they were trying to get in touch with was supposedly on the road for some meeting. So no one really talk to anybody.

None of this began to make sense other than the fact that this was blatant fraud! I also suggested that I call the Syracuse police department right there at the counter. As soon as I started mentioning these things they immediately change their tune told me that the claim was closed right then and there and that all was good. NICE TRY.

What concerns me is the 80-year-old couple on vacation who fall victim to this **! So I seriously can’t even rent a car anymore without taking the time to videotape a 360 shots of the extra year of the vehicle before leaving off the parking lot of the rental facility. Seriously! Isn’t this their job! Or am I to surmise that this is just another facet in which they’re scamming people and making money off of multiple fragile insurance claims against one incident. Maybe it’s time for a forensic accounting at Alamo so that we can ascertain exactly how many claims have been filed against this particular car and this particular damage. I wonder how much money they’ve made so far and still haven’t fixed the bumper. Unbelievable!

Alamo Car Rental response

Thank you for your review, Eileen. If you can provide a few more details, we would be happy to look into this further for you. Please email us with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number and the details of your experience stated above. - Carol H.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I reserved a car through CarRentals.com for Friday April 26th at 6:30PM in the Punta Cana office of Alamo. We arrived there at 6:40PM and the office was closed. The closing hour stated in the door hours of operation was 7:00PM. No one was there at 6:40 PM. On Saturday April 27th we went to pick up the car and the lady at the desk said there were no cars available. I told her we had a reservation and she said that reservations through CarRentals.com were not guaranteed and there were no cars. I asked her when could we have a car and she said that they could not guarantee a car.

If we wanted a car we should have reserved directly with Alamo. To say this lady was rude is an understatement, her name is Yadhira. I have made car reservations through CarRentals.com and I have never had a problem before. If they do not have cars available they should not have the option to make a reservation. Be careful with Alamo Car Rental in Punta Cana.

Mary Ann,
We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email us with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly.
Thank you.

– Carol H.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Alamo had a solid deal via Costco; a smooth check-in; an upgraded auto; and a very friendly attendant. The check in and check out stations were right at the airport next to Avis, Hertz, etc. The car performed as expected.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Had a reservation with Alamo. Get there to pick up car. Tell me I am on a do not rent list. I ask why as I rent cars all the time. We don’t know. Who does? We don’t know. Customer Service, no answer. Does make sense, but no one can tell me why? Never had any accidents, issues, problems before so don’t understand. Customer Service needs to be overhauled. Even the guy at the counter could not get anyone.

Danny,

Carol H

Original review: April 23, 2019

Stay away from this car rental!!! It's a trap! It happened April 21, 2019 at 9:54 AM and April 22, 2019 at 10:11 AM. We were visiting Toronto and decided to rent a car on our way to Niagara. On the website we purchased full protection of $84.00 for peace of mind and hassle free, however, while getting the car the guy named ICOR asked us to pay additional $28 for whatever charges he was saying. We decided just to pay the amount for us not to ruin our vacation.

ICOR told us that they can refill the tank for $1.16/gallon instead of $1.21 across the street. We only drove the car roughly 250 KM and consumed only half of the tank. The nightmare starts AGAIN! Upon returning the car the staff told us we need to pay $126!!! OF COURSE WE REFUSED! - and he told us to talk to the manager. The manager said the same thing, he didn't explain why we need to pay $126. He's just informing us he's charging my card that amount. This manager on duty is giving us attitude and started yelling on us even though we are the paying customer. The manager even suggested that if we have problem we can sue the company. He doesn't wanna talk to us and he said he's gonna put that charges on my card.

When we insisted that WE paid upfront to RENTALCARS.COM and things are really heating up that's the only time he checked my acct and told me he'll only charged me $76 for gas!! And We were like Whaaaaat?!!! $76 for half tank? And conversation heated up again. That manager on duty was the nastiest person I've ever seen in my life. I didn't pay to be treated like that and I know based on everyone's experience no action has taken to ensure the customers are satisfied with their service. Maybe Alamo company is also behind this scheme. if you don't want to ruin your vacation you better stay away from this company.

Allan,

- Carol H

Original review: April 23, 2019

First, I only rented from Alamo because they listed a VW Jetta and I love my VW. But when I got to Orlando, apparently not a single VW in their entire lot as I was very clear that is what I wanted to agent. Then, without asking me, he “upgraded” me to a full size car. If he really wanted to upgrade me, he could have made it mid-size SUV. But he did not ask in any case. Then he tells me Costco purchasers get special $2.66 on gas, did I want it. Sure I did. But it was no Costco special at all, that was a sales tactic.

After I said yes, he said it required I pay for a full tank, but I still thought it was a Costco special so I said yes. It was of course a money adder for Alamo and probably for him. When I arrived in Miami, I called Alamo to see if any lot in Miami had a VW. They refused to help or even check, told me I would have go drive to the lots and find out. Had no desire to drive to the airport and do that, and possibly find none. I will remember the Alamo and NEVER rent from them again. Fool me once...

Douglas,
We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email and include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Carol H.

Social Monitoring

Original review: April 22, 2019

Made reservations online and then called Alamo directly asking third party liability insurance. I was told system is down. Check back later. Called two more times when the rep told Me that I cannot buy this online but will be added when I am picking my vehicle. I was told cost is around 8$ a day. To my surprise it was 14$, Vehicle I requested was not Available. They wanted me to pick a full size SUV. I refused since gas in California is almost 5$ a Gallon. Waited for over thirty minutes with kids after six hours of flight when they finally Got me a small SUV.

The confirmation email and the online information of Alamo website Clearly stated that the drop off location is inside the terminal. So, when I was ready for drop off I couldn’t find any Alamo anywhere in the airport. After driving for over 30 Minutes inside I got the news that the drop off location is two miles outside the airport. I spent over 500$ on this rental and was happy with the vehicle condition but with all the nonsense that came from their service crew I would rather take my business Somewhere else...

Noman,
We look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Carol H.

Social Monitoring

Alamo Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.

• Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.

• Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.

• Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.

• Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information