3.7/5 (867 ratings)

About Alamo Car Rental

Alamo Car Rental is a car rental agency with locations throughout the United States. Features include online check-in and discounts for Alamo Insiders members. With the Drive Happy app, customers can create and modify car rental reservations. The company also offers car seat rental, GPS navigation, Sirius XM and ski racks.

Pros

• Easy reservations
  • Discounts available
  • Online check-in
  • Mobile app

Cons

• May charge fees for drivers under 25
  • Credit card required

Bottom Line

Alamo rents cars, SUVs, trucks and vans all over the world. Customers can create, modify and cancel reservations online. Alamo offers some discounts but typically charges an extra fee for drivers under 25 years of age.

Top Alamo Car Rental Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

…The rental agent, Chappy, was cheerful and chatty… When he found out that we were there because my mother, who is terminally ill with brain cancer, requested that we all meet one...

Verified

The experience was great and I would be more than happy to use the service again and recommend to friends and family. The value for the rental was great. The staff was very profes...

What is Alamo Rent a Car?

Alamo is a rental car provider with locations around the world. Drivers choose from a wide variety of cars, trucks, SUVs and vans, including everything from economy sedans to luxury sports cars.

You can book, modify and check in for your reservation online, which lets you skip the line and go directly to your rental upon arrival. Alamo also offers last-minute deals and other savings options.

How do you rent a car from Alamo?

When you select your rental car online or in the Alamo app, you have multiple options for body style and vehicle type. Alamo offers both automatic- and manual-transmission cars, SUVs, vans and trucks, including economy, fuel-efficient, luxury, sports and muscle cars.

Once you make a reservation, you can modify or cancel it using Alamo’s website or the app. On the day of your reservation, you have the option to check in online and go straight to your rental when you arrive.

Alamo prices

Alamo rentals typically cost from $90 to $160 per day and $300 to $800 weekly. Small economy cars usually fall at the lower end of the range; you’ll have to pay more for large premium vehicles. The company offers many deals and coupons, including for last-minute rentals, military personnel, one-way travels and upgrades. Be sure to factor in the costs of add-ons, insurance and the cost of gas. Alamo might also charge a fee for drivers aged 21 through 24.

Alamo FAQs

How much is the rental deposit for Alamo?
Alamo doesn’t charge rental deposits for reservations. However, it does place a hold on your credit card for the anticipated total.
What discounts does Alamo offer?
Alamo offers military, last-minute and partner discounts. You can apply coupons and promotion codes during checkout. Sign up for the free Alamo Insiders membership for additional discounts.
Does Alamo charge a one-way fee?
Yes, Alamo charges a one-way fee, known as a “drop charge.” The amount of this fee varies by rental location and time of year.
Can you rent a car from Alamo with a debit card?
No. You must rent a car with a valid credit card in your name. This is required both online and in-store.

Is Alamo a good company?

Alamo is an established car rental company with competitive pricing and extensive vehicle options. Note that it requires a credit card for all rentals and usually charges a fee for drivers under 25. You can easily book and modify your reservation online or with Alamo’s mobile app.

Alamo Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I was forced to change my flight due to a cancelation and had to route to another city. Alamo did NOTHING to help me with doing that and charged me an additional $500+ fee to drop off in Orlando instead of Jacksonville. I was treated poorly on the phone and no one even TRIED to help me. I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars with Alamo and this is how I'm treated? I am a frequent traveler but NEVER will rent with Alamo again, and you shouldn't either. I've dealt with so many other companies that will treat you like you matter.

Alamo Car Rental response

Andy, thank you for your honest review. For our help, please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details. We look forward to hearing from you soon. – Carol H.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

Needed to change drop off point from West Palm Beach to Fort Meyers (Florida) due to airline flight cancellation due to Covid of flight crew. Alamo charged me $500 to do so even though turning in on same day. Further - first rental car had broken mirror and had to drive back to exchange. Outrageous exchange fee - will not use Alamo again and travel often using Expedia. Customer service worker was also smug.

Alamo Car Rental response

Loren, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details. We look forward to hearing from you soon. – Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Our experience was awful. We made a reservation 3 months in advance of our trip and paid in full. We missed a connecting flight and called to let them know when we would be coming in, they said no problem. We arrived to an extremely rude assistant manager telling us we didn't have a car, we didn't pay up front and charged us a $100 cancelation fee. We had to rent another car from a different agency and paid an extra $300. I have called and asked to file a complaint and speak to a manager 4 times. Each time I am told that our situation should not have happened, they are very sorry, but I have yet to have a manager call me back. So disappointed. I will not recommend Alamo to anyone who asks.

Alamo Car Rental response

Raina, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to speak with you further. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Alamo.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. Thank you. - Carol H.

Resolution response: Dec. 22, 2021

Thank you. Thanks to Alamo's fast reaction Rental cars finally repaid my money. I understand it wasn't Alamo holding my money and the website, however it's disappointing you work with such websites.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I booked a car with Alamo on the Rentalcars website. Five minutes after my booking, I received an email and a call from an Alamo team member explaining they didn't have any available car before 4 pm while I needed it at 8 am so I asked them to cancel my booking and reimburse me. After several calls and emails with Rentalcars and Alamo, I have still not be refunded, we are now more than a month later.

Alamo Car Rental response

Caroline, we're so glad to hear this was resolved to your liking and will pass your feedback along to the management team who makes these decisions. If we can ever help with your rental questions or future needs, please don't hesitate to contact us. Kind regards. -CAH

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

I rented car in Toronto with return date offer 12:30 am. I returned my car at 20 minutes earlier at 12:10 am. Dropped the key into key return box. On the invoice I retrieved they indicated my return time as 8:10 am and charged my credit card $91 extra for additional day. Bad company. I would never rent from them again

Alamo Car Rental response

Robert, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

Rented a mini van in Reno. Both employees we worked with was rude. No help. The van was not what was advertised in the rental. Will not refund. We usually rent thru Enterprise and will be back to that. Never this company again.

Alamo Car Rental response

Anna, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. We would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. – Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I rented a Honda Civic Type R from America in Costa Rica and got a Mercedes Ben with absolutely no horsepower and auto transmission. Do not buy from Alamo Car Rental or rent a car from Alamo Car Rental 100% (I'm also an employee with years of experience, and the CEO of Honda and KIA since I'm very good with automobiles and my driving wheels [I'm a professional FYI].)

Alamo Car Rental response

Andrew, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with the information above, your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

Horrible company. Try to pin A Dent and scratches On the vehicle I rented And Tried To get money Out of me. Then Lied And said I was under the influence And that was responsible for the damages. Horrible. Horrible company.

Alamo Car Rental response

Maria, We'd like to hear more and have the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your full name, contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you.– Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I DO NOT recommend anyone to have business with Alamo car rental. We booked a car in Costa Rica without a problem. On our last rental day we had some issues. They made us pay extra fees (200$) for something out of our control that we WERE NOT made aware of when we took the car. I have been trying to get in touch with someone there for weeks and it has been a NIGHTMARE. AVOID AT ALL COST.

Alamo Car Rental response

Christelle, we thank you for your review and would like the chance to address this with you directly. At your convenience, please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

The worse experience ever!! NEVER again Alamo.. I had to wait for exactly 52 minutes after I signed the paperwork to get my SUV. Even though I had a paid reservation #**. The problem was not only the wait but also the bad attitude and lack of professionalism of the saleswoman involve. She kept saying..." you'll get your car when it's ready", "We can't help you" "We all sold out, so you have to wait". I went to the counter and asked her to give me an update after 30 minutes, she said, "Move over so I can take the next customer or I will call security!!!" VERY disappointed... I will use any other company next time. I'm in Asheville, NC.

Trust me, you don't want to be in this situation. PICK ANOTHER COMPANY.

Alamo Car Rental response

Marwan, thank you for sharing. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information