2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.94/5

Alamo Car Rental is a car rental agency with locations throughout the United States. Features include online check-in and discounts for Alamo Insiders members. With the Drive Happy app, customers can create and modify car rental reservations. The company also offers car seat rental, GPS navigation, Sirius XM and ski racks.

BOTTOM LINE

Alamo rents cars, SUVs, trucks and vans all over the world. Customers can create, modify and cancel reservations online. Alamo offers some discounts but typically charges an extra fee for drivers under 25 years of age.

PROS

• Easy reservations
  • Discounts available
  • Online check-in
  • Mobile app

CONS

• May charge fees for drivers under 25
  • Credit card required

Top Alamo Car Rental Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

…The rental agent, Chappy, was cheerful and chatty… When he found out that we were there because my mother, who is terminally ill with brain cancer, requested that we all meet one more time… he was so kind and gave us a free upgrade to a new Escalade. The upgrade was amazing but Chappy’s kindness wa

The experience was great and I would be more than happy to use the service again and recommend to friends and family. The value for the rental was great. The staff was very professional, helpful and friendly.

What is Alamo Rent a Car?

Alamo is a rental car provider with locations around the world. Drivers choose from a wide variety of cars, trucks, SUVs and vans, including everything from economy sedans to luxury sports cars.

You can book, modify and check in for your reservation online, which lets you skip the line and go directly to your rental upon arrival. Alamo also offers last-minute deals and other savings options.

How do you rent a car from Alamo?

When you select your rental car online or in the Alamo app, you have multiple options for body style and vehicle type. Alamo offers both automatic- and manual-transmission cars, SUVs, vans and trucks, including economy, fuel-efficient, luxury, sports and muscle cars.

Once you make a reservation, you can modify or cancel it using Alamo’s website or the app. On the day of your reservation, you have the option to check in online and go straight to your rental when you arrive.

Alamo prices

Alamo rentals typically cost from $90 to $160 per day and $300 to $800 weekly. Small economy cars usually fall at the lower end of the range; you’ll have to pay more for large premium vehicles. The company offers many deals and coupons, including for last-minute rentals, military personnel, one-way travels and upgrades. Be sure to factor in the costs of add-ons, insurance and the cost of gas. Alamo might also charge a fee for drivers aged 21 through 24.

Alamo FAQs

How much is the rental deposit for Alamo?
Alamo doesn’t charge rental deposits for reservations. However, it does place a hold on your credit card for the anticipated total.
What discounts does Alamo offer?
Alamo offers military, last-minute and partner discounts. You can apply coupons and promotion codes during checkout. Sign up for the free Alamo Insiders membership for additional discounts.
Does Alamo charge a one-way fee?
Yes, Alamo charges a one-way fee, known as a “drop charge.” The amount of this fee varies by rental location and time of year.
Can you rent a car from Alamo with a debit card?
No. You must rent a car with a valid credit card in your name. This is required both online and in-store.

Is Alamo a good company?

Alamo is an established car rental company with competitive pricing and extensive vehicle options. Note that it requires a credit card for all rentals and usually charges a fee for drivers under 25. You can easily book and modify your reservation online or with Alamo’s mobile app.

Alamo Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I rented the car at SFO Airport and took every possible insurance they offered and their employees guaranteed that I would be fully covered (Collision Damage Waiver, Roadside Plus, etc.) Someone even said they would give me a "4x4". It wasn't. It was just an SUV with an AWD mode. It led me to believe that the car could handle rough terrain. This obviously wouldn't be the case. No one thought to mention that, in the fine print of my contract, there was a clause stipulating that their insurance does not cover the cost of recovery and repair of a vehicle off a paved road.

I made it clear that I was going on a road-trip that would take me off-grid. I would head through the national parks, national forests and BLM land. Obviously, the roads are not systematically paved there. The company doesn't train its employees to know what's in the contract they ask their clients to sign. We don't even get a full version of the contract. We only know the details once it's too late.

At one point, their GPS device (the Travel Tab thing) directed me through Coconino National Forest, in Arizona. I followed a dirt path (literally an unpaved road) until it brought me to a barbed wire fence. I could tell I was close to someone's property and started feeling unsafe. They had those infamous "We don't dial 911" signs.

I got really scared and attempted to drive around the property. Off the road, I accidentally drove over a rock that pierced the radiator. The car still turned on, the engine still worked. I could tell the damage wasn't that bad. But the car was stuck and I thought I'd wreck it by forcibly removing it. I left the vehicle where it was. At the time nearly all of my belongings were still in there. There was just enough reception to call for help before my phone died.

Later, I ended up talking to someone from Alamo who made a reservation for a new vehicle at Flagstaff Airport. I was told this could be done at the discretion of the local branch and that it would count as a swap. At this point, recovery was ongoing and I was handed another vehicle. This is the most important part. Every single Alamo employee I talked to not only told me that the insurance would cover the damages, but also that there would be no extra charge for the second rental.

Renting a car for 3 weeks should have cost me around $1,200. So far I've spent over $3,000. And am now being billed for $7,000. That's $10,000 for 3 weeks. This all feels like a big con. The worst part is that I was willing to take responsibility for this incident. I really was. I felt taken advantage of, but I wanted to do the right thing.

Towing and storage bill: $2,700. Why? How? Just because they let their car sit in some decrepit parking lot for two months, I have to pay the bill? Damage: $4,462.46. That mechanic didn't make any repairs, they bought new pieces for everything. Maybe whoever they hired to tow the car out of its ditch wrecked it in the process. They decided to put the fault entirely on me. Because they can. I'm never renting from them again and would advise you to do the same.

Alamo Car Rental response

Thank you for your honest review, Julian. All damage claims are solely handled by our Damage Recovery Unit. Please contact that team directly at 1-866-300-3239 or by email at CustomerClaimConcern@ehi.com. Thank you! – Carol H.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I rented a full size SUV from Alamo for 4 days for $350. A snow storm canceled my flight and we had to stay in Florida 1 more day. Alamo wanted to charge $455 for only 10 more mores. But wait, there is more. The 1st agent was only doing their job and has no authority to do anything. The super issue tells me the reason for the high price is my current vehicle is in line to be rented to another client. But for $455, I can keep the one I have. Ummm, if it is so important to get my vehicle to another client, why do you not tell me to come in to make another reservation? That cost is around $100. It is all about extortion for the inconvenience they will cause me. This is horrible and I highly suggest others look for another company to do business with. With is not how you keep a customer happy who had a flight cancelled due to mother nature.

Alamo Car Rental response

Bill, thank you for sharing this with us. We certainly understand your sentiments and I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Don't EVER rent anything from Alamo via Priceline. They both ROBBED me of $221.00. I am about to celebrate my 70th birthday and my son wanted me to come to Atlanta from New Jersey to celebrate with him and my daughter. One of his room mates may have been exposed to Covid-19 and I thought it best to cancel. When I looked for airport rentals all sorts of web companies came up so I picked Priceline (FIRST time using) as I thought they were reputable. When I called Priceline to cancel they SAID UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE would they REFUND the money??? SAID IT'S ON THE AGREEMENT which was never emailed to me until Jan. 24th 3 days before my trip. And that notes it is non-refundable. At no time when I was using online booking did THAT come up!!

When I called Priceline they advised that they paid Alamo car rental. When I call Alamo they could NOT GIVE ME A CREDIT since I booked through Priceline???? As far as I am concerned ALAMO is complicit with Priceline if they know that this is how they operate. So BOTH COMPANIES MAKE MONEY FROM ME without my being able to receive a credit or a refund. THAT IS STEALING!

Alamo Car Rental response

Louisa, thanks for your comments. I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment. To provide customers with flexibility for their travel plans, we're currently waving all cancellation fees for any pre-paid rentals booked on an Alamo domain/site. If you've prepaid on a third-party website, you will need to contact them directly to discuss possibility of a refund. If you'd like us to review this for you please email Care@Alamo.com with the complete details, reservation number & your contact info. - CH

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

The worst experience ever! This company does not check their cars and when you return them they expect you to be responsible for everything! I got a scratched car and “it was not in the system” so they reached out to tell me I was going to be responsible for it when I clearly told them that’s the way I got the car! Definitely not renting again!

Alamo Car Rental response

Adriana, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. - Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I reserved a premium SUV rental at fort Lauderdale airport through a third party company which I also pre-paid prior to arriving at the airport with my credit card. When I arrived I was advised that because I live locally I can not have a premium vehicle. The associate that claims she was the manager then proceeded to ask if I had insurance, what's the policy number and where am I going. Another associate advised the lady that was "assisting" me to just give it to me and she refused. After going back and forth the lady then said now I can't have anything. I have no rental and they have my money. I have never had an issue getting a rental and being asked where am I going. This is totally unacceptable and I will be escalating this matter as far as possible.

Alamo Car Rental response

anjelica, we can only improve our services by listening to our valued customers. I assure you that we take all such concerns seriously and would like to discuss your experience with us in more detail. Please email us at care@alamo.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, and any additional details. Thank you. -Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Alamo saved us. When we landed and tried to pick up our vehicle on hold with another rental they refused to take a debit card. After losing time standing in the long lines of other renters who also refused us, Alamo came to our rescue. By the time we got to them they only had one vehicle left and it was a high end pickup. They could have charged us for the upgrade, but they let us have it at the economy car price for the troubles the other renters gave us. Alamo rules and has our business from now on.

Alamo Car Rental response

Debbie, I'm so glad to hear we were able to help you out! Thanks for the great review! We look forward to seeing you again soon. - Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

We had the pleasure of renting from Alamo at Nashville International Airport. All the staff were wonderful, but the standout employee was Herman **. He is the greeter there and was absolutely fantastic. He was friendly and extremely helpful. He is the perfect representative for Alamo.

Alamo Car Rental response

Kirk, we're so glad that we were able to go above and beyond your expectations! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did. We'll pass the compliment onto Herman and hope to see you again soon! - Carol H

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Went on lots of NASA business trips with lots of rental car companies. Alamo was far superior & I use them exclusively on all of my personal vacations each year. They have always been terrific to deal with throughout the rental car process.

Alamo Car Rental response

Thank you for your loyalty and positive review, Glenn! We're so glad you've enjoyed our services and we look forward to seeing you again soon! - Carol H.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I recently traveled to Puerto Rico and rented a car from Alamo. The price given online is what the price was. No bait and switch! Pickup was right outside of the airport doors so no shuttle needed. I waiting maybe 10 minutes to get to the counter. No sales pressure at all. I had my own insurance policy and did not purchase theirs. I paid with a credit card. An extra $60 in addition to my rental fee was holding (compared to the $400 & $500 other rental companies wanted for a deposit in the area). I took my rental contract to the lot to get my rental car. An employee approached and gave us a free upgrade to a small SUV with two to choose from. The vehicle was nice and very clean.

Upon returning, we pulled into a line and unloaded our belongings. An employee walked over and scanned a barcode on the windshield and took the keys. That was it! Nothing more to do for the return process. On the way inside the airport, I received a text stating what my card was charged for which was the original price, nothing more. My $60 deposit was immediately released and available within seconds. It really doesn't get any easier than this!

Alamo Car Rental response

Stacy, thanks for taking the time to share your great rental experience with us! We'll be sure to pass this compliment along. See you next time! - Carol H.

Original review: May 24, 2020

Processed the rental from GSP airport in South Carolina. Transaction was smooth and efficient and supplied with a clean vehicle. Returned the vehicle one day earlier than booked and received credit for the day. All in all a very good experience and highly recommended.

Alamo Car Rental response

Clive, thanks for taking the time to share your great rental experience with us! We'll be sure to pass this compliment along to our GSP airport team. See you next time! - Carol H.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information