Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.73/5

837 Alamo Car Rental Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 21, 2019

I was left stranded with no car by Dollar Car Rental. I went to the National/Alamo counter at PIE and Tisha (Trish?) did an outstanding job at hooking me up. Beyond a better vehicle than I would have had at Dollar I paid less! I was frustrated with my poor experience at Dollar but Tisha really made up for it. She was so professional and friendly and had us on our way quickly in a beautiful vehicle. Thank you Tisha for a great experience!

Original review: May 15, 2019

As a travel agent, I often hear about rental nightmares. They were out of the car that we had reserved. They upgraded us (at no charge) and were friendly and polite, making up for the error. We chatted while we waited for the paperwork to get settled and the desk employee walked us to our car, apologizing for the delay and the mistake. He went beyond the normal and made us feel like our rental mattered. Thank you, Grand Rapids!!

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Rented a mid-sized car from Alamo through Costco recently. The car was available at the Costco rate although they had other cars including BMWs and Mustangs but at double the price. Had to say no three times to potential upgrades but understand they have an incentive to get you to upgrade. Put less than 400 miles on the car for the week but the car ran well and was clean.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Mercy the manager and the ladies are the best at Alamo Car Rental. Thank you for excellent service. I was in and out in ten minutes. They were all professionals. Thank you... Thank you. Hertz reminds me of the yellow cabs. They never thought Uber, Lyft or Juno would make it affordable. Hertz needs say are for ** business only. They also need to inform men like Dalmane that sexual harassment lawsuits apply to gay.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I Rented a full size car thru the Alamo website for Denver International airport and chose no additional options that require payment. I chose the “skip the line” option. My flight was delayed due to weather for 4 hours so I called and let them know. I was told no problem and they hold reservations for 24 hours. We arrived and took the shuttle to the rental spot. I skipped the long line inside and went straight out to pick my car. First two smelled of smoke and the trunks were too small for our luggage so we chose a Ford Fusion. Did a once over on the car and found several dings/scratches/damages to the car and reported them on the way out.

Car did well until the next to last day when it overheated twice in the mountains. My husband looked at the fuel levels and they all were good but we were a little leery of trying to cross the Continental Divide with an overheating car. We called the Roadside Assistance and spoke to Adam. After many back and forth calls, we were told they would have to get a tow truck from Pueblo and pick up our car in Gunnison. Then the tow truck would take the car to Montrose, exchange it for another and bring it back to us in Gunnison and then the tow truck would have to drive back to Pueblo all on our dime because I did not purchase the Roadside Assistance package. OR we could drive the car to Montrose ourselves and exchange the car. This would only take maybe 3 hours round trip for us and the car was still reliable on fairly flat road. We chose the latter.

Adam said he would notify Montrose of us needing to exchange a car and everything should be ready when we got there. Of course when we got there, there was no advance notice that we would be coming but Joe was right on it! Only problem here was no full size cars available so we ended up with a mini-van. That was ok since we only had one day left. When we returned the car to DIA, the manager on site, Carlton, was more than kind and understanding and actually gave us a credit toward the cost of the rental for our inconvenience. I would think Alamo should look into their training and customer service. Many of the reviews are awful. I was fortunate and had helpful and kind people on my rental this time but it would make me think twice about renting from them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

If I had the money to take this place to court I would. DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT rent anything from this place. When we first arrived to pick up our vehicle everyone was so friendly and nice, hell even when we returned it things went great. It wasn't until we got home we had been double charged by our card on file for everything we had already paid for at the Alamo Terminal. This place is as shady as it gets. They wait until you're back home in another State to really RIP you off and when you try to contact them you don't get any answers. They will tell you to wait for a call back of 15 minutes and never call.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

We'll never rent from Alamo again. If you do be super cautious. We, very unfortunately, lost the key at a park/fishing access in NH. We had a local garage come and unlock since we thought maybe I'd locked the keys inside, but no. They then towed it (at our expense) a mile or so to the garage so it'd be in a safe place. We contacted Alamo twice that day, the next day and at least 4 times after that. We know we're responsible for towing to the nearest service center and a key. For some reason they have NOT picked up the car at the garage 2 weeks later. They've attempted to make several charges on our credit card but haven't said what they're for. Such poor communication, we're terribly frustrated, and worried about what they might do next!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I had an absolutely traumatic experience renting from Alamo. I was renting a car from them and staying in an extremely peaceful and safe area of London (an address which I gave them when booking the car). Yet the day after I brought the car home, I awoke to see the car completely vandalized, windows smashed, bonnet hammered in, but nothing stolen (There was nothing inside). The policeman said another car had been vandalized nearby that morning - I went to check and it was also an Alamo car!! Was this some kind of insurance scam? A disgruntled employee? Either way rest assured I was not provided a replacement car and was charged an obscene amount of money, despite being the victim of what was clearly a targeted attack on Alamo cars in the area. Either way, I will never subject myself to the trauma, fear, and huge economic loss this episode subjected me to, with no car in the end.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Worst car rental experience ever. First off, they don't accept debit cards, and nowhere does it say that in any confirmation emails I received. Moreover, even though my debit card can be run as a credit card, they're system "wasn't set up to do that". So I ended up spending an extra $50 for cabs to and from Alamo. But ok... Finally got the car from Sunday - Thursday. $254 - not too bad for 4 days.

Then I thought I'd like to extend my trip for one more day. I was able to get off from work, so why not extend my once a year vacation for one more day. Surely, extending for one more day couldn't cost much more... Well apparently extending the trip by one day and returning the car by noon on Friday, would cost an extra $274. More than the first 4 days!!! Fine, I guess I won't extend my trip. But maybe I can at least drop the car off a couple hours later, at 2pm instead of noon. Not a problem! Just an extra $46 please. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

In July of 2019, we went to Florida. After the first part of the vacation was Disney, we picked up an Alamo car for rental from the Disney Car Care Center. Upon arrival, I immediately had a very bad feeling. The entire place looked very shady, which was surprising for Disney. We were also disappointed at the amount of inventory available at this location. Nevertheless, we were given a Hyundai. The plan was to drive to Palm Beach Shores to meet the rest of my family for the 2nd part of our vacation. It was pouring rain at the Disney location. I quickly walked the car to check for any damage or scratches, but it was difficult to see in the rain and the car was black. Upon our arrival in Palm Beach Shores, I picked up my mother and we went to the grocery store to purchase groceries for the week. After that, the car was left in a covered parking garage at the resort location.

A few days later, my husband drove the car again to go to the grocery store one more time. After that, the car was again left in the covered parking garage at the resort and never used again until we left to go home. When we arrived at the Palm Beach Airport car rental return location, the agent asked me if we knew anything about a scratch on the right rear bumper. We did not notice it. It was barely visible to begin with. The manager was called out and didn't seem to think it was a very big deal. She asked where we got it from and I explained the Disney Car Care Center. She rolled her eyes and said we were free to leave, but they were going to file a claim. Additionally, she told me they would check the cameras at the Disney Car Care Center to see if the scratch appeared there before we picked it up. I was very upset about this because, like I said, I checked the car.

I also explained that it was raining when we picked it up so it was hard to see. We left and flew home. We never heard anything more from Alamo. About 10 days later, I received a call from the Alamo Claims Department. I spoke to an agent and explained we drove it from Orlando to Palm Beach Shores, drove it to the store twice, after that it was left in a covered parking garage for a week. She took notes and we hung up. Two days later, another claims agent named Christian called me and asked me a few more questions - did we drive through construction, etc. No, we did not. Where did we pick up the car? Again, Disney Car Care Center. She asked if that was a covered or open lot. I told her it was an open lot, uncovered. Explained about the parking garage at the resort and AGAIN, driving to the grocery store.

I told her we were told by the manager at PBI that they were supposed to check the cameras to see if the damage was already there, but we never heard anything back. She didn't know anything about that. Then, she said to me, "As a one-time courtesy, I'm going to go ahead and close out this claim." As a ONE-TIME COURTESY? We did nothing wrong. We have no idea if that damage was already there! How dare she insinuate that they were doing us a favor? I didn't need the aggravation caused by this entire situation. They have no proof that this damage was caused by us or if the damage had been there all along and she's going to claim she's doing US a favor? Guess what. This is really going to be a one-time courtesy because we will NEVER rent from Alamo again. Never.

Alamo Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.

• Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.

• Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.

• Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.

• Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information