Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.69/5

Alamo Car Rental Reviews

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Recently my family and I rented a Suburban from the Alamo at Denver International Airport. The rental agent, Chappy, was cheerful and chatty while he was looking up our reservation. When he found out that we were there because my mother, who is terminally ill with brain cancer, requested that we all meet one more time in our hometown of Frisco he was so kind and gave us a free upgrade to a new Escalade. The upgrade was amazing but Chappy’s kindness was so much more important. I will definitely rent from Alamo again.

Original review: July 21, 2019

I was left stranded with no car by Dollar Car Rental. I went to the National/Alamo counter at PIE and Tisha (Trish?) did an outstanding job at hooking me up. Beyond a better vehicle than I would have had at Dollar I paid less! I was frustrated with my poor experience at Dollar but Tisha really made up for it. She was so professional and friendly and had us on our way quickly in a beautiful vehicle. Thank you Tisha for a great experience!

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2019

As a travel agent, I often hear about rental nightmares. They were out of the car that we had reserved. They upgraded us (at no charge) and were friendly and polite, making up for the error. We chatted while we waited for the paperwork to get settled and the desk employee walked us to our car, apologizing for the delay and the mistake. He went beyond the normal and made us feel like our rental mattered. Thank you, Grand Rapids!!

Original review: April 12, 2019

Rented a mid-sized car from Alamo through Costco recently. The car was available at the Costco rate although they had other cars including BMWs and Mustangs but at double the price. Had to say no three times to potential upgrades but understand they have an incentive to get you to upgrade. Put less than 400 miles on the car for the week but the car ran well and was clean.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Mercy the manager and the ladies are the best at Alamo Car Rental. Thank you for excellent service. I was in and out in ten minutes. They were all professionals. Thank you... Thank you. Hertz reminds me of the yellow cabs. They never thought Uber, Lyft or Juno would make it affordable. Hertz needs say are for ** business only. They also need to inform men like Dalmane that sexual harassment lawsuits apply to gay.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Below are the problems I experienced while renting a vehicle from Alamo (Airport) Little Rock, Arkansas on October 3, 2019 at approximately 10:00 AM CST. RES # ** and EXT REF # **. Agent was a small frame ** female. I do not have her name. Attitude: Very unprofessional. a. Did not seem to value me as a customer. b. Asked for my reservation: 1. Said they (Alamo) do not trust 3rd party vendors (HOTWIRE Booking Agent). 2. She was going to charge me an extra $200.00 because of that. 3. She did not have must trust in Debit Cards, they prefer major credit cards...even though I had already paid in full months earlier

4. Hotwire had me booked as picking up the car by 12:00 noon and this was a problem for her because it is 10:00 AM. She said she was going to charge me an additional $60.00. She had previously asked for my Air ticketing information, which showed that I would be leaving on the plane back home at 5:00 AM. This means that I would not have the car even for a full day, but she did not see that.

c. The company/agent had not checked out the vehicle in which they assigned to me: a. It was extremely dirty. b. It has scratches on it that had not be clearly marked as scratches. I had to try and find someone at another car rental to identify the scratches. c. Someone had clearly wrote in large letters that the car smelled. I rode around my classmates all weekend with that wrote on the window. d. The car did smell extremely bad and some of my classmates could not ride with me because of it. Could have been smoke mixed with something else.

e. No instruction on where the gas tank was and or how to open it. f. No instructions on how to get into the trunk...very difficult. g. No instructions on how to start the vehicle, my 1st time using a keyless vehicle. h. The Agent was aware that I was returning the car earlier enough to catch a 5:00 plane, did not inform me that they would be closed. Upon arriving to return the car I walked around trying to find someone to leave the key with... Finally I left it in the car.

i. When I got on the inside of the airport another gentle came up to me and said he had found a dropbox to leave his keys, from another car rental company. j. I left back out of the Airport and Went back to the rental car, walked around trying to find a dropbox and it was covered and hiding behind debris. I finally found it and left the key in the box. THIS WAS A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

AVOID ALAMO! Don't rent here. You pick up a car in a dark garage. In my case the car was wet and no any marks were visible. I stopped at the very first gas station and noticed the marks on the front door, made some pictures. I was pretty sure that the marks were reported already. However at the return they charged me for the repair and nobody cares about my pictures. Customer Service? They have NONE. Nobody replies to the emails. Nobody return your calls. They basically don't care about you. AT the final bill they also overcharged me for the service that I did not order at all. There is no way you can get money back. Never ever rent a car in Alamo.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

Midway Airport 10/12/19. Had a prepaid reservation. They had no cars. Nothing. Had many people waiting for hours and didn't care. Stuck with no options. I asked to get my money back and call Uber and the stupid agent said "I ain't got yo money and I can't make cars show up" So distressing for all and Alamo didn't care.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

Snow tires are required in British Columbia as of October 1. Alamo at Calgary International Airport would only comply with the request with additional payment of $15 per tire per day. This is simply outrageous since BC is the neighbouring province. I was able to rent a car from Enterprise with snow tires at no additional cost. Furthermore, it is already snowing in Calgary today and it is not the first snowfall for this fall! Alamo should be more accommodating if they want business and not get stuck on provincial requirements which recommend December 1 as the date for snow tires.

Alamo Car Rental response

Eija, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

We had a very bad experience with Alamo LAX. Seems that nobody in the company had the knowledge on how their system works neither was trying to help to solve our issue. We wanted to extend our car and change the return location, we had 3 different information given on the phone and had to come to the office to make a change. When arrived we spend 3h with no result.

The main issue seemed that nobody in Alamo including manager was able to give us accurate information on why the change is not possible. Took us almost an hour to realise it was because we did the booking via the third party and we needed to sort with them. The third-party was trying to help by calling Alamo, but nothing worked. The counter workers seemed unfriendly and arrogant. The manager was officious but gave us some advice and allowed to use their laptop as no wifi was available in their office.

Moreover, we could not book another car as Alamo does not accept any booking on Debit card in the USA nor cash. It wasn't possible to rent a car with them at all, which again, nobody explained to us, we had to realise it by making a few unsuccessful reservations. We end up getting a car from "National" next door that was 30% more expensive but completely hassle-free and fast. On the quality of vehicle side, we can't complain, the car we rented was good. If you expect some changes on your journey and you got your booking via third-party (this is the only way to get the car cheaper), don't use Alamo.

Alamo Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.

• Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.

• Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.

• Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.

• Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information