1.23/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

777 Alamo Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Reserved a car in advance and had it paid for in advance. When we tried to pick up car got a lot of runaround trying very hard to pressure us into upgrading then tried to add another driver and was told it would be $12 a day extra which is ridiculous. Anyway but then after we got the car finally and left. Looked at the paperwork she gave us and there was additional charges of over $300 on top of the $12 a day. I complained when we took car back and girl said she would give us a $30 credit (Big Deal) and she would have a rep call me. When they called gave me some story about the extra $300 was an airport charge and they had no control over it. After arguing for a while he finally said best he could do was give me the $30 credit but shouldn't even do that. It's been a week and still have not seen the credit. Would never rent from them again.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

This topic is just to warn this community about the car rental company ALAMO (especially Puerto Montt airport's agency). What to say about it (there's much!)... Even if you booked a car online the price and the disponibility can be changed at the desk. Poor service and very disagreeable employees (we made rewrite the contract 3 times because of the many mistakes made by the employee) who doesn't make any effort to understand you even if your Spanish is quite understandable (making fun of the customer as well...). After a damage during a night (windshield wipers broken and antenna stolen) we were charged 4 time the market's price without any explanation or written proof. After 4 month of emailings with the "Customer Service" still no answer. And that's only the "highlights" of our very unpleasant (and very expensive!) experience with ALAMO. Pathetic! Be aware and avoid those scammers! Have a nice trip anyway. ;)

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Alamo left us stranded at Honolulu Airport along with three other families. They claimed they were having problems with their shuttle and would remain open until they picked us all up. Almost one hour later now 1 am they never came and had closed! We found one rental car company that was still open and had to spend an extra $250.00 to rent a vehicle from Hertz. Don’t ever book with Alamo unless you want to spend your vacation in the airport!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

My fiancé sister rented a car from this company, when she went to pick up the car, they told her she needs to bring her flight ticket even though she showed them her ID and her American Express credit card and told her to cancel her reservation. When she told me that, I told her this is not right, and I told her I will rent the same car and I did. When I went to pick up the car they ask me for my ID and asked me how am gonna pay, I told them credit of course. I noticed that they are hiding something, so I told them, "What’s wrong," they told me that I didn’t pass. I surprised and said "Pass what??" And they told me that the company has a new system. Once they put the address and the name it’s gonna be up to the system. And they refused to give me the real reason especially after I told them what’s happen with my fiancé sister, till now I don’t know why they didn’t give the car for both of us. Bad customer services, bad company

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Arbitrary, illogical, inflexible, uncommercial and with absolute disregard for the inconvenience caused at the 11th hour - a disgrace to customer service!!! We had a trip to Bath booked for some weeks; planning to pick up a car from this provider at Heathrow airport at 8 am on Sunday 27/1 (ie, leaving home at 6 am). Payment had been taken from my credit card, all arrangements had been locked in and I had reviewed the applicable T&Cs which suggested that my UK address would need to be verified upon pickup. Having been in the country for around 3 months, and subleasing (ie, not having any bills in my name), even though I brought an original of my sublease and utility bills in the name of my sublessor (such that it was clear that I did in fact, legally, live at this address) I foresaw that there may be issues verifying my address.

Anticipating this difficulty, I asked my friend (who has been in the UK for 7 months, leases a flat in his own name, with utility, council and rates bills and UK credit cards and UK bank accounts, in his own name) to bring his proof of address. Given his tenure in the UK, we had been confident that it would have been clear to any reasonable person, that he does in fact verifiably reside in the UK. Alamo uses a third party address verification service provider, which for some undisclosed, unknown and inexplicable reason was unable to verify not only my UK residence, but also my friend's residence in the UK. Alamo staff were unreasonable in their approach, unwilling to assist, inflexible and completely devoid of any solution to assist, or recognition of the fact that this arbitrary rejection had completely railroaded our day.

As a last minute renter, we were unable to find any other available cars and had to cancel our day trip, forfeiting significant funds referable to pre-booked tours and appointments. Will obviously never book anything with Alamo ever again, and encourage everyone to stay as far away from this rental service as possible. Avoid Alamo at all costs, pay the little bit extra and stay away from these clowns!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I believe after doing research that this company and locations regularly participate in insurance fraud as I have seen multiple other renters with the same story as ours! In July of 2018 my husband rented a truck in order to pick up some items from our storage unit. We had the truck for a one day rental and checked it back in at the airport.

When we returned the truck the employee completed the check in process with no problem. We were not in a hurry as we live in Atlanta and were not rushing off to a flight etc. The employee let my husband know he was free to go and the vehicle had been successfully checked in, they would send something electronically later and we were given no paperwork. A few weeks later we received notice that Alamo was filing a claim that we damaged the vehicle. The vehicle was reported to have thousands of dollars of damage. Since that time we have been very clear that we did not damage this vehicle and we will not be making any payments.

1. We turned this vehicle in with no damage, for this amount of extensive damage we assume your employees would report this right away and we would have had to deal with it at the time of check in.
2. We are fully insured with a 250 dollar deductible. We would have no problem taking care of this damage IF we were responsible. We only rented this car to pick up items from storage, we have good credit and a great record of car rentals. Frankly we find this to be ridiculous.

3. This branch should be investigating their employees who either hit this car when parking it or took it out for a joy ride and damaged it. OR the managers filing these false claims to gain insurance money. I will be reporting you to every business agency possible.

I feel as if Alamo and this branch manager and office are trying to scam us out of money. I also saw online that this has happened in other locations, there are multiple complaints from other airport locations about your insurance fraud and how you check cars back in and then weeks later send over damage claims. DO NOT rent from this company. My lawyer is currently dealing with this issue.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I rented a car for a day and a half with no damages and returned it with no damages. I took that car back to the airport where I rented it from and I was asked did I want my invoice emailed to me and I said yes. Sorry company never emailed me my invoice and they never checked in the car. Then two weeks later they sent me a letter saying that there were damages on the car. If it was why would you wait two weeks later to say that. Then who else did they rent that car out too within those two weeks. So I call the customer service line to speak with someone about the letter and they stated that I would hear back from the loss prevention manager within 2 weeks and I never heard anything from the manager.

So 3 months later they send me an invoice in the mail saying I owe 2500 dollars for damages to the car and they sent photos of the area with no dates or times on the picture. So they are doing insurance fraud because nobody will show me the video that I have requested to view that they claim they got from the vehicle, so never rent from these people with their terrible customer service and unprofessional staff for not contacting people in a timely manner about issues. I rate them as the worst retail company ever. And they will not get a dime until I see this video footage.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

On Expedia, we had a car booked for $800 for six days when an ad from Alamo came up promising a much cheaper price. As a result, we canceled the previous booking only to be told that Alamo’s website had been glitching and the car we booked was falsely advertised and not available. Since the original car we booked was no longer available, Alamo’s incompetence resulted in an extra $300 being spent on this holiday. No help or compensation was given for this error and we are extremely unimpressed. This is disappointing and unacceptable in a company. Do not trust Alamo - go somewhere else and save your time and money. Expedia, however, was helpful and offered us a voucher since this was booked through their website.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Hi, I booked a car through Opodo/Rental Cars/Alamo. Alamo is represented in Saint-Denis by Enterprise. I booked a Renault Clio/or similar and was given a Dacia. According to them it's in the same group... Well not in my book... Sharp practice. Then charged 30 Euro to clean sand from the floor. The inspection for body damage took an age, the guy seemed disappointed to find no scratches so he looked again. I will book direct with Hertz next time.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Don't use Alamo car rental! It is a horrible company! We made a reservation with them to rent a car for one week and when we went to pick up the vehicle at the airport in Cancun, they just told us, shamelessly, that they do not respect reservations in high season. DO NOT use this company - they are horrible.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

After a flight from Italy, and with all my approved, printed documents on hand, I presented my USA driver's license and the trouble began. I live in Italy. My last USA residency confused the desk worker as they were simply disturbed I lived in Italy presently. This despite having numerous documents, all valid, from both countries. They said I couldn't have a car unless I paid $600 in insurance. All of this news was never mentioned in all of my printed receipts and paperwork guaranteeing me my vehicle, weeks prior.

Because I had a limited budget I asked if I could still drive a car off the lot. They said yes! Uninsured. I said, "Does this mean if any car hits me, I'm hospitalized or dead, I'm still supposed to pay for the car? Because no coverage exists?" They said yes. Now what kind of company allows an uninsured car to be driven off a lot so they can collect money if there's an accident? Alamo does. There was no insurance provided on a temporary scale just because I was an international temporary resident in Italy. Plus, I had a valid USA driver's license. Unprofessional and careless behavior, 100%. I'm glad I didn't pay the spontaneous and unmentioned $600 insurance, but my driving time in L.A. was a drag, thinking about accidents and hit and runs. Alamo is bad business.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I have reserved a car via expedia.com and as I arrived at the agency to pick It up the Guy told me they had no cars available. There were at least three other people on the queue who I assume must have gone through the Same problem. Do not recommend Alamo/Expedia.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Rented a car to pick up in Central America with carrental.com with coverage and everything. When I arrive to airport Alamo tell me they don’t accept insurance from them and my rental will cost me 1,500 for the month when the rental with the third party was costing me with insurance less than half of that. Rental people were rude and nasty,. Did not care to give me any options or plans. Pretty much go somewhere else and that was it. The rental insurance in this country is ridiculous and think I’m making payment for the car. 1500 for a month rental is impossible. No country is that high. They are highway robbery. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Returned a one way rental to the Alamo w 44th location. The vehicle wouldn't fit in their garage but I was instructed by Alamo customer service to leave at the location. The manager TRAVON ** assured me he would take care of the issue. A few weeks later I'm charged with a parking ticket the vehicle received the day after I returned it. TRAVON didn't check the vehicle in till the next day and lied about the time I returned it. Blatant fraud and I'm left on the hook for $129. Alamo won't refund me because TRAVON ** provided a FALSE time of return. STAY AWAY FROM ALAMO, WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

After a very long day and canceled flights, we decided to rent a car and drive home. Their staff was courteous and helpful at 11:30 at night. Especially the lot attendant. He gave us directions and offered us a bottle of water. Good price, easy pickup.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Rented an Alamo car in Florida for a week long vacation costing 150.00 which was very reasonable rate. Unfortunately my vacation was cut very short when my husband became seriously ill and required hospitalization for the entire week and was not able to fly home on discharge. Our option was to take two days and drive home which required me to add two days to my rental and a drop off fee. Alamo charged me over 900.00 for this change and had no sympathy for our situation. This was outrageous. Every other company I dealt with was so understanding and went out of their way to accommodate us in this stressful time EXCEPT Alamo. Will never rent from them again and will spread the word by mouth and social media.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I wish to alert the public at large that ALAMO Car Rental at Las Americas Airport, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic offers to rent a car for $54:86 for four days. Their offer was cleverly put together with a picture of a little car. When we went to pick up the car, the price rose up to three hundred and change US dollars. When we questioned their representatives, they attempted to justify the price increase with tax and other rental car jargons. The point is this: they should have clearly stated how much they required for four days instead of using deception to lure customers and especially with the little car which fits seemingly the low price. Simply put, these folks are simply dishonest. It is worthy to note that two of the girls that attended to us apparently were not pleased to be a partakers of this disingenuous act. Folks be aware. We ended up paying $190.00. That should have been the proper information from the beginning.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Concluding a week's vacation in Yellowstone, my first stop at the airport was to return my Alamo rental car. My wife carried the keys into the counter to turn them in and close the transaction while I remained with the car. The attendant refused to have a joint turn-in inspection and furthermore threatened a nearly $300 fee for a broken keyring (basically a zip-tie). A few weeks later I received a claim that the vehicle was damaged (cracked windshield). The charge for repair would be in excess of $430 including 2 days rental loss and $50 administrative fees.

I strongly doubt any damage occurred to the vehicle while in my possession, surely I would have seen/heard if a rock or something hit it while driving! Nonetheless, it is still a possibility... The point is, the refusal to inspect the turn-in, and counter with threatening remarks to my wife who promptly encouraged me to not "make a fuss, it will be ok"... It was not.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We are disgusted. Every other company that we rent with allows the spouse to drive. So here we are in the airport, I am with the kids getting luggage while my husband rents a car, and the Alamo folks are insisting that I can't drive unless I also come to the rental counter (a mile away). Ridiculous policy!!! I'll go back to renting with a normal company.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

A month after the car rental, the entire amount of the deposit was written off my card. After numerous complaints and appeals to Alamo and to my bank, the sum was returned. I did not see any grounds for writing off, pleading guilty and apologies. Nevermore!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I reserved a car thru Priceline with Alamo for a trip to go to my mom's funeral in another state. After my flight I go to the counter to pick up my rental car only to be told I have an old debt with Enterprise and they couldn't rent to me. I filed bankruptcy so there is no debt, but I'm now on a permanent do not rent with Alamo, National, and Enterprise.

They didnt cancel the reservation or let me know ahead of time so I could make other arrangements because they said it's their way of punishing people who owe them money. So now I'm in another state with no rental car to get to the funeral. This is already a very difficult time but they made it awful. After two hours in tears I was finally able to rent a car thru another car rental place and since it's last minute it cost me 300 more than I was supposed to pay originally. They could have let me know but they would rather make me suffer more.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We had reserved your services at SDQ (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) to be picked up at the this international airport. As we were ready to pick up the vehicle we were told that they had no vehicle available. This caused us tremendous burden that we had to select another car service rental that cost us ($689) more than your company offered us. A company so well known, for this experience I'll not recommend anyone to utilized your company for not overseeing your inventory or your sub services for their lack of services for us the travelers. :(

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I traveled to Atlanta Oct 26 - Nov 1. I had reserved an economy car ahead of my trip. Upon my arrival to pick up the rental car the lady at the counter asked me how many people might be in the car with me at any given time and I told her possibly 3-4. She proceeded to tell me that I might want to upgrade, otherwise I'd be stuck with a Smart Car. I said that I was surprised they even rented Smart Cars due to their incredibly small size. She said. "Oh yeah they do." She told me I could upgrade to a larger mid size, never mentioning an upgrade to a compact. I upgraded and ended up paying over $100 more. I have since contacted Alamo and I was assured that they do not rent Smart cars. I was scammed, manipulated, and lied to. I'm 64 yo and had traveled alone. BEWARE. Alamo is a huge headache and ripoff!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I am 78 years old and legally blind. My wife (who must do my reading and driving for us) is a foreign national who speaks and understands little English. We recently flew to Kansas City. We got a pre-flight car rental reservation (through the airline) at Alamo for $67.00, plus we opted for a gas tank refill ($42.00) at the counter. We returned the car well before the end of the reserved period.

At the car return procedure Alamo entered a charge of $244.00 into the hand-held -- this was more than twice the reservation plus gas refill charge. We tried to resolve it at the very crowded check-in counter, but were met with a rude and confrontational attitude. I even showed the counter guy the copy of the reservation e-mail confirmation to which he replied "we are not responsible for reservations made through third parties". When we made it clear we would not be dismissed so easily he finally said he would "look into it" and "make any adjustments". In the meantime we had to get to our departing plane. When we got our credit card statement a few days later the $244.00 charge from Alamo was still on it. I then called Alamo 'customer service' directly and after 20 minutes of runaround was told "you should have taken this up at the airport, we cannot do anything about it now."

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I attended a 4-day medical conference in Orlando from Oct 4-7, 2018. Rented a car for the period. I don't usually rent from Alamo but decided to give it a try as they had the best price. On arrival at the airport I was directed to their rental parking area and met their agent who told us to pick any car form a particular section. We chose the nearest car. Alamo agent did not even do a walk-around the car to ensure that no previous nicks or dents were on the car. No documentation at all. The car was parked at the hotel for the entire time except for a short trip to Whole Foods and the mileage can vouch for that. On returning the car, the agent said that I hit the car and liable for damage and they sent me a bill for almost $800.00!!! Total ripoff.

I contact my attorney and he said that their agent's failure to inspect and ensure that the car was given with no damages in breach to rental policies. I should take them to court for trying to stick a customer with damages that was not incurred during the customer's rental period. Alamo is the WORST AND MOST DISHONEST rental car company. And covering up for their staff's inefficiencies. They cannot always believe their staff over paying customers as staff lie to cover up their mistakes. DON'T RENT FROM THEM AS YOU MAY BE FORCED TO PAY FOR DAMAGES YOU DID NOT DO. I cannot rate as I give them a ZERO rating.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

This company is literally the worst! In March of this year I booked a reservation through Hotwire for a 7 passenger car at Alamo. I show up to pick up the car and after almost 45 minutes after my reservation time they say they don’t have a car that size and offer a 6 passenger. I attempt to make it work since it was a holiday weekend and we were traveling out of town. I get home and it just doesn’t work so I immediately call their corporate office, explain the situation and am told they can’t assist since I booked through Hotwire. I call Hotwire and they say return the car the car, they’ll refund me. Hotwire of course issues a refund immediately after the car is returned all taking place in less than 2 hours (a majority of that time was spent talking to Corporate and Hotwire).

5 months later I get this random charge in my credit card from Alamo and at first don’t know what it is, turns out these jerks are trying to collect almost 600 dollars on the car rental. I’ve made several calls and attempts to resolve with zero luck and a bunch of promises to return my call since apparently corporate office cannot resolve issues and they have to be resolved at the local office. They’ve call my personal phone my work phone (which I never gave them) and sent me nasty emails telling me I am on their unable to rent list... As if I’d rent from them or any related company who would try to pull some crap like this and not even care to follow through on resolving it except to say pay them. Don’t rent from this company! Don’t rent from Enterprise either as they are the parent company. Having a corporate office who can’t resolve customer complaints is like having a toilet that doesn’t flush!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

We rented a car from the Warwick, R.I., location on Oct. 11. We returned the vehicle on Oct. 14. The next day I noticed that my glasses were missing and presume I left them in the vehicle. I filed 2 reports about the glasses and spoke to a CSR. In all 3 instances the company said I would hear back from them within a few days. NEVER HEARD A DAMNED WORD FROM THE COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Zero Stars. I have traveled worldwide and this was the worst rental car experience I've ever had. They upcharge you when you get there and I was made to pay full price upon checking out the vehicle. Due to a family emergency I returned the vehicle one day early and not only did they not refund me but they overcharged me from what I had originally signed for. They are nothing short of thieves and their customer service is lackluster at best. They promised me a refund several times over the phone and then emailed me back-and-forth only to say that they decided they were charging me for the day I didn't have the vehicle. Disgusting and horrible. Do not rent a vehicle from this location. Stay away. Run. Worst car rental company on Earth in Cancun.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Trip to Albuquerque we reserved a car with Alamo Car Rental at Albuquerque Airport. There was a problem with reservation and the representatives at the counter were less than helpful. Of course I was little upset that there was an issue and there was no help from the representative other than telling us to step out of line and resolve the issue ourselves. They proceeded to Cancel our reservations and were not helpful in any other way than to call security because I was upset that the reservation was canceled without any help from those representatives. Was a very bad start to what was expected to be a great trip To Albuquerque. I will never use Alamo Car Rental for any other future trips.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I rented an SUV from Alamo in Orlando Florida, my husband was told by many agents there wouldn’t be an additional hold/deposit on my card aside from the cost of the rental. I checked my account everyday to make sure no such hold was placed but the day I returned the car the bill was doubled. The next day the correct amount was withdrawal from account but the hold/deposit for the doubled amount stayed on my account for 4 additional days.

Alamo Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.

• Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.

• Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.

• Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.

• Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information