1.56/5
Based on 88 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

734 Alamo Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We rented a car from Alamo at the Geneva, Switzerland airport. Because our credit card offers free car insurance for car rentals, we did not pay for Alamo's own, very expensive insurance. While parked in a parking garage, the car got side-swiped by an unknown car. When we returned the car, the agent took all the information, required a $5000 credit card deposit, and told us that within two weeks we would have a refund for the unused portion of the deposit. Well, that didn't happen. After three weeks of hearing nothing, I contacted Alamo's national/international reservation department. First they sent me to a national claims department, which sent me back to the original Alamo department I started with. Then the agent said she'd send an internal query to the proper office in Switzerland to find out what was going on.

A week later, I got an email from an office in France (Geneva is right on the border) saying they had no idea what I was talking about and asked that I forward all my documentation. I sent the rental agreement and the damage report. A week later, I got another email asking for a claim number. No one had given us a claim number, so I called Alamo again, and they again sent an internal query. Three days later, I received an email from France saying they had no record of the claim and to provide the claim number. I told them it was their responsibility to create a claim number.

At this point, I called Alamo again and told them I would be going on social media to complain about the runaround Alamo was giving me unless they resolved this right away. This time they routed their internal query to their Zurich office. Lo and behold, they had information on our claim, but they had never bothered to contact us. Another week went by, and we finally had the repair estimate. The entire process has taken two months. This whole experience tells me *never* to use Alamo again. If we hadn't kept dogging them, we'd still be out our $5000 deposit. On the upside, our credit card company, Capital One, was incredibly efficient from start to finish and covered everything.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Alamo at Detroit Airport - First car reeked of smoke, obvious no one actually cleaned it. Did not find this out until all luggage was loaded. When returning, the lady who checked us in was rushing us to get out of the car. We left behind a handicapped parking placard. Because of the nature of the item, I tried calling prior to the flight, after the flight and the next day. Got a lot of runaround, and NO ONE is allowed to just call the location (guess that would just be way too simple). Filed on the phone and online for a lost and found item. Was told I will only be contacted if they find it. At this point (two days later) I am assuming it went home in somone's pocket.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I rented a car on December 18th/2016. I rented a Chevrolet Cruze Silver Color. After all this time until now I got the stomach to talk about this negative experience with ALAMO (in Chicago O'Hare). I left a silver cross hanging from the rear view mirror inside the car. I was in the office checking out and closing the deal when I realize that I forgot my cross. I told the Parking Lot Manager, wearing a large black jacket and also I told to the parking guy, in a fluorescent vest, about the situation. They told me that everything will be found and I have not to worry, they will look at that. My wife and I were waiting for more than 1 hour and 30 minutes without any feedback. I spoke with three different representatives in the office but they did anything to resolve the situation.

My wife and I had to leave the ALAMO office because our flight was about to depart and we almost lost it. After our flight back to our hometown, I was calling ALAMO Lost and Found checking if they found my cross, but no luck. I tried everything and there is no refund and not even a feedback; they just said that they can't find the item. For me the guy in the black jacket and the parking guy in the vest are the culprits. And also the staff in the office never helped me at all, they just delayed the situation forcing me to leave when my flight was about to depart. The only one option I have is to sue ALAMO, something I am still considering.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

We rented a car with a GPS from Alamo/Enterprise, managed by Locauto, at the Brindisi airport in Italy, from July 15 to July 28. We drove to Lecce and parked the car for two days. On the third day we drove south to Felline. We saw that the GPS was disoriented and useless. 1. On a multitude of occasions it would direct us to turn down streets that were “no entry” streets. 2. The first night it sent us to the wrong town. The GPS announcing “You have arrived at your destination” we got out to ask where the restaurant was, they said it was in the next town over. They gave us driving directions on how to get there. More than once we were directed to the wrong town.

On one occasion someone actually got into the car with us to direct us. 3. It would often not find a GPS signal, once keeping us waiting up to 30 minutes in a small town at midnight, till it got it. 4.On occasion it would work, but often would not know where it was. It sent us on the highway and promptly said, “Turn left.” Of course there were no streets to turn on. Within a minute it said, “turn back.” We often preferred not to even try using it, since it was insanely frustrating, and so we resorted to the old fashioned way of asking directions. Also, there was nowhere to mount the GPS. We had to hold it if we considered using it.

July 18, after the first full day of driving we called the office in Brindisi to ask them to send us another GPS. We were going to be in a place for a week so we could get it in time. We spoke to Francesco who at first told us to call the Roadside Plus assistance, which we had paid extra for. We had already called them and was told there was nothing they could do unless we had car trouble. Francesco said he’d exchange the GPS, but we had to go back up north to Brindisi airport to exchange it. We were all the way down south. We did not want to waste an entire day to exchange it. Francesco finally said, when you return the car you’ll talk to the office. Locauto had no locations in the south. We had to hang onto the useless GPS till we returned it on the 28th.

We returned the car on the 28th, as scheduled. Francesco was out on the lot to check it in (after a half hour because their computers were down). We reminded him about the GPS. He said to tell the office inside. The three agents inside, including the manager, Alessandra repeatedly insisted that they had never had trouble with the GPS. The GPSs were always updated and worked well. (I suspect they may have tested them around the airport only and not in the rest of Puglia.)

Anyway, they could not open up the reservation. Francesco had closed it. I went back to ask Francesco to open it. He said, “Sure. I’ll call them. Go back inside.” He never called. We insisted that they adjust the charge. They said all we could do is follow up with the main office. We asked them to write a note on the contract that we had complained about the GPS. They absolutely refused. The GPS was the main issue, but when we picked up the car, and drove out of the airport I noticed that the gas gauge was well, well below the full mark. I didn’t want to waste a half hour to go back to the airport to complain. (At drop off, Francesco said, “Was it closer to full than empty?” That was satisfactory by him.)

Also, they did not have the car that we had reserved, so they gave us an “upgrade”. The upgrade was way too large a car to drive in the narrow streets of southern Italy. The experience with Alamo/Enterprise was infuriating and obviously in bad faith on their part. On many occasions I have rented cars from Alamo, through Expedia, in the U.S. and Canada, and have never had a problem.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Hire a car through Expedia on the 20th July from York UK and drop it the next day in Edinburgh. When picked up the car from the train station attempted to call the agent several time to inform him of some minor superficial scratches on the car and the also the rim of one of the wheels. After 5 calls and long hold I did give up, since the scratches seem minor. When drop the car the agent who was inspecting found a minor Damage in the same wheel which obviously wasn’t done by me. The wheel was not original wheel either and was a replaced wheel. Coming home I find that I have been charged an extra $900 on top of the rent which probably is for the 1 wheel replacement. They don’t pick up their phone to answer. Do your research before hiring from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: July 25, 2018

Had booked a car for 3 days that included 300km/day. When bill arrived, got charged for 600km additional that we didn't drive. Also were charged for "premium standard" that we were asked to left a car by a parking worker. Awful experience, never again, won't recommend to anybody!

Original review: July 23, 2018

We returned the car earlier. Alamo refused to refund the difference. The customer service was very unprofessional! When I asked to email me the contract, where it says they will not return the money, I was told they don't have it. Do not use this agency!

Original review: July 22, 2018

We have a group of five families from overseas arriving at LAX for self-guided tour for 26 days trip. I booked online 2 SUV and 3 Pickup. Upon arrival, I did a self-check-in and rented a standard SUV for 2500 with limited insurance coverage. My other guests arrived a few hours late, when approaching the front desk, they suggest to upgrade to a premium SUV with full coverage, suddenly the price jumped to from 5500 to 6600 even we all think the cars they rent to my guests are all top brand cars (Infiniti QX80, Ford Explorer etc.). Notes, I am a US travel agent from MN.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I am seeing many complaints. When I went to pick up my car in Phoenix, the agents were kind, helpful, and caring. They gave me excellent directions on how to get to the highway. The man who directed me to the car was a real gentleman who opened the door for me. I heard "please", "Thank you" and "Have a wonderful vacation". I am not sure how many of the reviewers have ever worked behind a counter and have had to serve the public. It is not always easy. The public wants perfection and our world isn't perfect. You need a vehicle, you rent it, you return it in good condition. The end. Yes, they convinced me to upgrade to a full size car, but I am happy that I did. I had a comfortable ride and a lovely vacation.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I decided to rent from Alamo from Priceline for a family reunion in Chattanooga, TN. Alamo destroyed part of my family vacation and caused an amount of stress that I cannot adequately express through this review. They were completely indifferent to my ordeal and have yet to reimbursement for a Lyft ride I was forced to take as a result of their faulty vehicle and incompetence. The following is a description of my ordeal, and a warning to all of you: Alamo roadside assistance offers anything but assistance. They basically left me and my entire family to fend for ourselves and have yet to contact me regarding any of this. I cannot believe how horrific my experience was and how little customer service seems to care. I emailed them regarding this yesterday and still have yet to hear back.

My family flew into Atalanta, GA, rented the vehicle from there, and attempted to drive into Tennessee for the family reunion. I was traveling with 8 people total, my grandparents (both of whom suffer from Alzheimer's/dementia), two aunts, and three cousins (aged 22, 18, and 12). My aunts and grandparents were in one car, and I was in the other. From the Atlanta airport, we drove to Hiram, GA to visit a cousin for dinner. We then tried to continue on to Chattanooga from there. About thirty minutes later, the car began to shake and we could hear flapping noises. I saw a piece of the tire come off in the rear-view mirror! We pulled off the highway and into a Texaco in White, GA. There, we discovered a large, crater like hole in the wheel. The other car with my aunts and grandparents came to the gas station to wait with us while we called roadside.

It took about half an hour to even get a human on the phone. From there, things went downhill. I cannot seriously believe that the person I was talking to on the phone is entrusted with small emergencies (those that do not warrant a call to 911 or police). He could not keep his words, or answers straight. He was vague and indifferent. As the call went on, the stress of the situation seemed to make him stutter and flail. He seriously suggested that I leave all of my family behind, go with the tow truck back to Atlanta, and exchange the vehicle there. He did not seem to understand that we were in the middle of nowhere, in an unfamiliar environment, with two disabled persons and someone underage.

I finally came up with the solution of taking a Lyft to Chattanooga, TN and leaving the car behind. It was getting dark and where we needed to be was still over an hour away! It took almost two hours to come up with this relatively simple solution --- and it was me who did it! Though I was reassured that notes were being taken of this incident, when I got to the Chattanooga Airport the next day to get another car (instead of driving to Nashville, for a day trip, as planned), Alamo couldn't even confirm that my disabled car had been towed! I had to wait ANOTHER period of time on the phone with roadside while they attempted to confirm that.

I was flabbergasted at the level of incompetence and lack of communication on Alamo's part. Rental cars are not supposed to fail, and I know companies do as much as they can to assure that. But, if a vehicle does, there should be some sort of failsafe in place to protect drivers and customers. There was none here for me, and Alamo has failed at every level. Though my request for reimbursement was noted in an email from the manager at the Chattanooga Airport, though I spoke to customer service the night of the ordeal, and though I have sent two emails to customer service, I have yet to be contacted or reimbursed for the nearly $70 I spent on that Lyft ride. Do not rent for Alamo. It's not worth the risk.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Rented from Alamo Washington DC Airport. Took car couple of days later to Atlantic City. Oil warning light came on - 0%oil! Called several times - they sent a TRUCK to replace. I had to call several times again as I have bad knees & had elderly aunt with us, truck was too high! Girl on phone said I was in NO position to be picky! We PAID to rent an SUV!!! Service is awful!!! I’d never use them again or recommend them!

Original review: July 14, 2018

Upon picking up our 4 day car rental at the Charlotte NC airport, they did not inspect the vehicle with us. They simply pointed us in a direction of cars and said pick one of those, the keys are inside. We picked a Nissan Alton's which upon initial seating, smelled faintly of smoke but it was not until we turned the air on and started moving that it really bothered us. There was visible garbage left in the vehicle, - a pen, a napkin, an itinerary from May (my rental was in July), food between the seats, dust and insects dead on the dashboard. Then the next day, we noticed the under covering of the car was falling off and cockroaches crawling all over the car seats, floors, trunk... It was disgusting. I ended up calling them on the 2nd day but they said they couldn't do much until the rental was finished. Upon returning the vehicle, we did let them know and they ended up refunding the entire amount.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I rented an Alamo car for a 1-day 6-hour trip from Southern to Northern California. I called ahead to ask for info should my trip be delayed and got one story (that there'd be hourly over-time rate depending on the vehicle demand) and that they'd make a note in my file saying I might be delayed for pick-up - however no such note existed upon my arrival. Next I inquired at the rental desk what might happen if my drop-off time was delayed and got yet another story, that there'd be no charge if dropped off within 24 hours of rental pick up time.

Came to drop-off time at the address specified in both copies of my contract, and the drop-off location was CLOSED plus without any parking anywhere! I'd inquired at the rental pick-up desk about arrival after closing and was told there'd be no problem if I arrived after hours as there would be a drop-key box and a parking lot. But there was NO key box, plus NO parking and NO drop-off lot - nothing, in the middle of the city where parking would only be illegal.

So I called Alamo from inside the car to be put on on hold for 20 minutes and was given another drop-off location, fortunately close by at Enterprise Rental Car in San Francisco but when I arrived at Enterprise I was promptly told that I could NOT drop off my Alamo car since it was not an official Alamo rental car location! But this time I was too tired and frustrated and insisted on dropping off the car without a receipt, risky liability for me. Alamo may be a Budget rental car company but the constant misinformation, despite my own attempt to be prepared and informed beforehand, was ridiculous. I would not rent from Alamo again, how could I, as no one there had ANY accurate information at any point either before or during my car rental.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I had a wonderful experience when I initially rented the vehicle. I had to put mine in the shop for some repairs, picked this car up at a great rate by reserving on Travelocity.com. When picking the car up, I asked the agent if I needed to extend my rental if I should call to do so since I wasn't sure how long the repairs would take. She said, “Yes, please call or else the rates will go up.” So I call today (the day I'm supposed to bring the car back) and let them know I need to extend the rental. I'm then given a rate double what I initially book for. I asked to speak to a supervisor after explaining over and over again to the rep it was NOT the same rate (apparently she couldn't do math because she couldn't figure that out), I was then hung up on as she transferred to a "supervisor".

I called back and received a different supervisor whom also argued with me about the rate stating that the rate at the time of an extension is not given the original rate, but whatever the current rate is instead and she can't change it. I've never experienced anything like that with a rental company before. I even quoted that my rental agreement AND the Travelocity website both state IN WRITING that an extra day is a fee of: $** and it gave the same rate I was originally given. She blatantly said she understands what I'm seeing but that they can't change the rate. So you're telling me you don't have to abide by the written agreement, but I do? This company is crap when it comes to Customer Service.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I never rented a car before. I was told to use Alamo. When I went up to the desk, I told them I was using my own insurance. They said I had to pay another insurance through them to cover my deductible in case of an accident. Since I didn't know any better, I said ok. I later found out that they took me for a ride. You are not required to pay any other insurance if you plan on using your own insurance. I will never use Alamo again...

Original review: June 25, 2018

I’ve been in USA for 7 times, since then I’ve made car reservations with Alamo, without any problems, until now. My wife is pregnant, and we were in a flight for more than 14 hours, I made the reservation by Alamo’s website, when we arrived tired in the morning we were attended by a Hispanic girl (06/18/18) that told us that a kind of a daily insurance of 12,95 was compulsory and we had to do it. I doubt that, but she told we couldn’t take the car without it (she was lying and I didn’t believe that), but we were tired, my mother is a 67 years old and my wife pregnant so we got it.

By the time we gave the car back, a “supervisor” was rude and told us that the liar girl was right because we signed a contract. So remember to refuse all - Alamo nevermore, to see more informations about Alamo, ** and check how many complains like mine exist. Unfortunately only knew about this later. My advice - BE CAREFUL WITH ORLANDO’S AIRPORT STAFF, THEY ARE NOT TRUSTED AND HONEST!!!

Original review: June 12, 2018

Recently rented a vehicle from Alamo via my Expedia account. I requested a full size SUV. I was flying into Florida with family. When I was taken to my vehicle it was the smallest Jeep that Jeep has. It was filthy. When I went to get another auto the person that was on the lot was gone. Nowhere to be found. Our flight was late getting in and I was on a time schedule as it was, so we went ahead and took the vehicle. The next day driving to St Augustine I am not quite sure how it happened but the windshield got a crack in it. I looked all over and did not see where a rock had hit it while driving to cause this crack. The crack grew and ran across half of the windshield. When I took the vehicle back they said that they would have to report it.

I had bought their insurance thinking this would be covered. Much to my surprise I received a bill from them for a new windshield. Filthy car, not full size, was a gutless wonder could barely get out of its own way, and I own Jeeps always have and always will except for that model. I got charged for an upgrade model. This was no upgrade. But since the insurance is worthless and will not cover the windshield I don't feel I should have to pay for the windshield. Had I of known that I was suppose to get all objects and anything out of the path of the vehicle when driving on highways I would have paid closer attention. I do not recommend Alamo.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My family member reserved a car for Mon, pickup at the airport in Arizona, all online reserve. So I called to make sure what amount was needed at pickup. The customer service person guaranteed me only price of rental was needed which was 258.00, so at arrival in Arizona airport at 9:30 pm my relative was told 380.00 was needed to pick up. This was so unfair to your customer. After a lengthy process of calling and transferring funds, he was able to be on his way... completely ridiculous. Please train your people to give out correct information when contacted. I will be sure not to go through your company again. Thank you.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We reserved our automatic transmission car through Expedia and picked it up at the Guayaquil Airport around 2pm. Around 5:30pm that same day it stalled out in heavy traffic and we had to push it to the side of the road and were afraid to drive it again. We called the number we were given for roadside assistance several times and no one answered. We then called the Quito office to ask for help around 6pm. We waited for help and someone called us back at 11pm that evening with no answers about who was coming to get the car etc.

Then the following day at 9:35 someone from the Guayaquil office called and offered a manual transmission car or we would have to wait...we don't drive manual transmission so offering a standard is no help at all. We waited until 6pm to get the replacement car. They then charged us for the gas in the car that broke down. They then lied about offering a manual transmission and said it was a choice we made. Do not rent from Alamo/Enterprise at the Guayaquil Airport. I am glad we actually know people in Ecuador because it would have been horrific if we were just there on vacation without knowing anyone and potentially very dangerous depending on where you break down. DON'T DO IT!!!

Original review: June 2, 2018

I reserved the "manager's special" approximately $38 per day for "compact or larger" at the Louisville Airport. When I arrived with my wife in wheelchair we were told they had a pick-up truck, any other vehicle would be an additional charge. I told them my wife could not climb into a pick up and we needed a normal sedan. They told me that would be an additional charge. I refused and they eventually gave us a six person van with vomit in the back seat.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I reserved a mid-sized SUV with Alamo through Priceline using my debit card. After catching the subway to the airport, I got in line and waited my turn. As I waited, I noticed three people walking away without their paperwork. I would soon find out why. When it came my turn, I presented the card I made my reservation with; a debit card (with $1500 on it). I was told Alamo only accepts debit cards if you have an airline ticket. I asked why Priceline accepted the card and confirmed my reservation based on that card if Alamo wasn't going to accept that card. I asked why they didn't share their debit card policy with the company that's lining up customers for them. "Sir, It's not my policy." Wow; BIG surprise.

I had to take the subway back to DC, get my credit card (that's how much I use it), catch the LAST train back to the airport and go through the process again. Now, as the counter is about to close, they no longer have any mid-size SUVs. One of the employees tries to get me to slip him some cash to get into a "nice" car. I'm not materialistic. I was taking the family to Rhode Island for a wedding. I'd already spent 4 hours just trying to get a car with which to make the trip and this guy's trying to shake me down.

Because all the fuel efficient cars (like the one I reserved) were all gone, I was "upgraded" to a gas-guzzling GMC full-size SUV which got 18 mpg vs. 33 for the car I reserved, and cost $80+ to fill, vs. $34 from my promised vehicle. We were quite comfortable, but after spending $200+ for gas, I didn't feel like I was upgraded. All Alamo had to do was post on Priceline's page what their debit card policy was. I would have either looked around for another company or brought my credit card with me the first time, instead of having to make two trips on the train out to the airport to end up with a car I didn't even want. Will I rent from them again? I wish they'd hold their breath waiting!

Original review: May 28, 2018

O.K., I rented a Toyota Camry from Alamo (through Priceline). I had no complaints with the car. I did have a scrape on the front bumper which will require some repair (totally my fault). When I returned the car, I showed them the scrape, and they requested that I pay $500.00 on my credit card immediately (which I thought was my insurance deductible), and I did so. When I returned home I found out that there was no deductible because it was considered covered under liability, and my agent said that they would reimburse me as soon as they received the necessary info from Alamo.

All of the information that they need to resolve this has long since been faxed, and yet we cannot get the needed estimated repair costs. As if this were not bad enough, they also slapped $56.00 on our rental charge for gas, even though we had filled the gas tank at a gas pump within sight of the return area. I will never rent from Alamo again, and will probably need to go through some legal hassle to resolve the estimate situation. Unbelievable!

Original review: May 21, 2018

Reserved a cheap car with my Delta Points. When my wife rented the car in Tampa they bumped her to a luxury car, charging an extra $214.00... They said they needed a credit card for reference. She signed the contract NOT KNOWING she signed for a luxury car with an upcharge. This is called UTT in sales terms: UP THE TICKET!!! Beware of Alamo business practices, parent companies Enterprise and National… They will work something out if you bring the car back, but if you are on business you can't drive ALL THE WAY BACK, you have things to do... Watch out for the SCAM!!! By the way, it is almost impossible to get a hold of someone live... What an inconvenience. BEWARE!!!

Original review: May 17, 2018

Car rental - Chania Airport, Crete, Greece - Car warnings for ABS, ESC & handbrake assist came on. Punctured. Low pressure came on only hours after tIre change. On return, blamed me for faults. Received no feedback survey request from Alamo - when complaining directly, my emails were just sent to the renter, and vice versa - so the frustration continued.

Original review: May 16, 2018

When I returned my rental car to the airport in Chicago (O'Hare) an Alamo employee told me that the mobile printer wasn’t working and asked if she could email my receipt instead. I said, “yes” (my mistake). I was expecting a $160 bill, but instead was charged over $500. The company’s response to this discrepancy was that I returned the car to Indianapolis instead of Chicago. After a long discussion about where I actually dropped off the car, the employes told me that I had to produce a boarding pass for my flight out of Chicago and proof that I paid for the plane ticket. After digging this all up and sending it, the employee finally issued a refund. I actually would have also appreciated an apology or, at least, an acknowledgment of their mistake.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I rented a car on May 12, 2018 and paid amount $30.14 for Fuel service option (Pay at the time of rental: This option allows a renter to pay for the full tank of gas at the time of rental and return the tank empty). When I return a car on May 14, 2018. Alamo charged me ten dollars more ($39.07) due to return the tank 1/2. DO NOT USE ALAMO.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Rented a SUV for Bozeman Mt. They assigned us to a truck! That doesn't work for 4 people with luggage, and rainy weather! We went back to them and said a truck doesn't work for us. Their response was, "We don't have any more SUVs, so you will have to pay $60 more for an upgraded SUV." Bait and Switch? If I wanted a truck I would have reserved a truck - so the reservation meant nothing! I would never use Alamo again.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I rented a car in Melbourne Airport which we flew into a few weeks ago. My wife is handicapped so I sat her on a seat near an exit and planned to pick up the car and park on the curb by where my wife was. I asked the agent I was filling out the paperwork with if I could leave the car unattended at the curb for a few minutes while I got my wife. The agent (Cathy) said I could go get my wife now and she would go get the car and meet us with the car at the curb. I couldn't believe she volunteered to do this. What great representative of the company.

Original review: May 8, 2018

The car was fine, the help was polite and quite efficient. The major issue was the vehicles GPS. So out of date, despite the car being brand new, it continually routed me through areas in Ghent cars were not supposed to be in. Of course the signs are small and an Flemish, there is no other indication you should not drive there. The end result was $700 in fines and $200 in fees collected by Alamo to 'handle' the fines. Alamo provides a bad GPS, Ghent uses tiny signs in a foreign language and they both make out like bandits at the expense of visitors. Of course you don't find out you've done anything wrong until Alamo dings your CC for almost $1000. I used to love Belgium, and travel there every year. No more. Belgium and Alamo are off the list. Not sure what else to call this policy other than a scam at the expense of tourists that don't speak the language.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I rented a car in Orlando, Florida for a business convention. I walked around the car at the time of pickup and saw no damage. After a week, I returned the car and I walked with their employee around the car checking for damage. There was no damage and the employee said I was good to go. I advised the employee that the check engine light was on the whole time and they need to check into it. A week later I received a letter from Alamo saying I need to contact my insurance co. to file a claim for damage. What a scam! Piss poor company! Liars! I will fight this and will NOT pay for fraudulent claims! After all these complaints how can this company be in business? It's BS!

Not sure about Alamo Car Rental?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Rental Cars for you.

Alamo Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.

• Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.

• Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.

• Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.

• Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information

1974
600 Corporate Park Drive
St. Louis
MO
www.alamo.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business