1.80/5
Based on 86 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 22, 2018

700 Alamo Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 22, 2018

I rented a car from Alamo in January of this year in San Diego. I never purchase the additional insurance. I was billed for the additional insurance by Alamo. When I called to question this I was informed that I had signed an estimate for a total amount including insurance. This is true and my bad as I was in a hurry to get my car and was not paying attention. However when I reviewed my contract with Alamo I did not initial or sign the waiver for additional insurance and declined by my signature all other coverages. So in spite of my declining additional coverages they added it in anyway and are refusing to refund money for the additional coverage at 19.99 per day for 10 days.

By the way the car was returned with no damage at all. Will never rent from Alamo or any of their affiliated companies again. Their customer service is horrible and will not address the issue of my declining coverage and them adding it on anyway. Beware is all I can say. Booked through COSTCO and I will be registering a complaint with them as well. I may be out $200.00 but based on how often I rent cars they will lose more. Sad that companies do business this way.

Original review: April 17, 2018

My travel agent booked a car for my trip to Maui, HI. We picked up the car and were told to check the car for dents larger than a golf ball. Seeing none, we said it was good to go. The car was silver and with the narrow parking spots and the sunlight we did not see a small crease on the bottom of the driver's door at that time. We saw it when we looked at the car from a distance when we parked at our hotel, but it was just a small crease. When we returned the car they filed an incident report and claim with our insurance company.

After 6 weeks I received a letter in the mail saying that the estimate for the repairs and admin fees and loss of use is over $1,000 which includes damage to the headlight, etc. It is a total scam because the photos they sent were for a large scratch on the opposite side of the car and it was towards the front of the car. Now they are saying that we must remit that amount immediately or they will charge my credit card. They are charging us for damage to a car that we did not do. They are adding admin fees, an item called additional cost, and diminishment of value. Please beware! Do Not Rent From Alamo!!!

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2018

When I returned the car to Tampa Airport I reported the poor condition of the vehicle and was informed (and given a receipt) that $60 would be credited to my account, a manager would call and $100 in vouchers for my next rental. The $60 credit did not get applied and I was informed that the clerk when I picked up the car had not input my credit card details. There was no phone call from a manager and no vouchers sent out. I've email and spoken to two managers. Still getting the runaround. Disgusting customer service...avoid!

Original review: April 3, 2018

I made an online reservation over Sell Off Vacations website for a car rental with Alamo in Mexico City's Benito Juarez International Airport at International Arrivals Terminal 1. When we got there Alamo said we do not have any cars and would not honor the reservation, even though it was a confirmed reservation. We had to go to Hertz and pay 10 times the advertised rate to get a car without a reservation. When we drove by Alamo's yard it was stuffed full of vehicles, so they lied to us when they said we do not have any cars at all. They were advertising one rate, and then refusing to honor it, instead forcing people to pay much more than the advertised rate to get a car from some other rental company. I even offered to purchase insurance at the rental counter, but one look at our reservation, and they said no cars are available. Pure bait and switch advertising!!!

Original review: April 1, 2018

Just want to let folks know how much I appreciated Alamo's staff (Mr. **) helping me and my family recently with getting an affordable rental car and saving our vacation. Recently, I reserved an Alamo mini-van through Expedia.com. The pickup was at the St. Louis airport and was set for 9am on 3/24th. Due to delays, we got to the airport at 2pm. Unfortunately I did not realize that with Expedia, the cost changed dramatically since we did not pick up by the scheduled time. The new cost was 60% higher and would have blown our vacation budget. Mr. ** listened to our plight. He then worked furiously on the phone and got authorization for a greatly reduced special rate. By doing so, he saved my sanity and our family vacation budget and plan. I just wanted to let Mr. ** know how much we appreciated him helping us. We don't usually use Alamo but will from now on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: March 30, 2018

10 days after I rented a Subaru out of the Orlando International Airport I received a claim that there had been damage to the vehicle. I immediately went into panic mode and remembered a scratch I had noticed (not bad btw completely buffable) on the driver side door. I hadn't thought anything of the scratch because of the way that the rental was set up. Upon arriving at the airport I went to Alamo and signed necessary documents for my rental, they directed me to the parking garage and I went out to get my economy sized car. When I arrived the man saw my paperwork and said, "Would you like a van instead," not really wanting a van I said, "Sure." He said, "You know what just pick out anything, the keys are inside." I found a sporty Subaru for my week and was quite pleased. With the attendant nowhere in sight I hopped in the car and drove to the exit where they scan the car and send you on your way.

After using the car, I took it back to the garage and there was a hoard of people also returning cars. We all lined up one after another and hopped out leaving our keys in the car. There was at least 40 cars being returned so we took our stuff out, they thanked us and we walked to the airport. NO ONE did a walk around to check for damage and no one instructed me to do so when I picked it up.

After receiving the notice. I was scared to call because I have a deductible on my insurance that I did not want to have to pay. I called and they sent me to their claims unit. I asked them what the damage was and without a beat I described the scratch and that I had seen it when I got it. I told them there were a lot of people there picking up and returning cars and no one took the time to look at the car before or after. Thankfully she said she would close my claim, because of this reason. They know they are too busy to scour every car for scratches before. MAKE SURE YOU mention that if you have one of these claims.

Original review: March 23, 2018

This is our last time using Alamo. We’ve become so fed up over the poor quality and lack of care when it comes to the car itself. The customer service was excellent, but does not even begin to cover for the car quality. Every car we have rented so far smells like strawberry chemicals, which they use to mask the smell of how dirty the interior actually is. When we finally complained to them about how dirty the car was, their only response was “we don’t have the time to clean every single one.” What they meant to say was we clean them when we feel like it. Also, our last car broke down while we were at least 20 miles away from our destination. Not to mention that the windshields were dirty and there is never any wiper fluid in their cars. Needless to say, we Uber everywhere now.

Original review: March 16, 2018

We rented a car from Alamo Rental at the Jacksonville, FL airport. We were talked into the additional insurance on the rental which they said was "full coverage." We were hit head on. We spent the next 24 hours attempting to call their Customer Service Line to report the accident, but nobody ever answered. We received a bill from Alamo after the liable party's insurance paid out charging us for $780.00 in "lost rentals" and "admin fees." We asked to see the subrogation demand submitted to the responsible party's insurance because according the claims agent, they do cover the "lost rental fees" but would not cover the admin fee of $150.00.

Alamo deducted the $3000 supplemental insurance from the damages to the car which would have been covered under the liable insurance company's policies and tried to force us to pay for the "non-covered" charges. The insurance we purchased covered the drivers of the car, not the liable insurance company and they should apply the $3000 in coverage to our out-of-pocket costs, not deduct it from the covered cost of the damages to the car. Also beware, when they offer you "full coverage" it's only $3000.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Before I begin, let me clarify that this review refers to my experience in the town of El Calafate, south of Argentina. But, as Alamo intends to be a worldwide organization, should not allow operations as their franchises in El Calafate (namely Fiorasi Rent a Car) to exist. In summary: a real trap for extras, with lies and vicious tricks. Delivering defective cars, and then mistreating Clients, with threats even, in order to dishonestly increase their profit margins. I will not rent Alamo anymore in Argentina, for sure, and worldwide, as they seem to allow dishonest operations like the one held in El Calafate, Argentina, to exist.

Original review: March 10, 2018

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER... renting a car from Alamo was extremely frustrating. Their agents are rude and very suspicious to what is or isn't a valid driver's license. They would not rent a car with a temporary license and even called for police assistance, wasting the officer's time, trying to validate the license. Calling their customer support was no help and the pre-recorded message at the beginning of the call had more character than the agent I spoke with. I have 2 other reservations with Alamo in the near future that I will be changing to a different company in the morning. Horrible experience.

The customer service that my wife received in person and the customer service that I received over the phone was the WORST ever example of customer service that I have ever received in my entire life. I have dealt with a lot of dirtbags and businesses, but this takes the blue ribbon for the dreadful category. Is this normal for Alamo? I have rented numerous vehicles in my lifetime, never from Alamo, AND NEVER AGAIN. In fact I have 2 pending reservations with Alamo which I will be cancelling tomorrow and going with a different rental company. I will be sharing my experience with whomever will listen and wherever I am able to post it and leave a review of your company.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I recently rented a car while in FL for four days. Unknown to me, we had a SunPass on our vehicle. As a result we were charged $13.00 for tolls about ten days after our return. Unfortunately, we paid for those tolls in cash as we traveled. In NYS the E-Z pass triggers a red/green light if you have one in the car. Guess that does not happen with the SunPass. Meanwhile, we paid double for the tolls. That amount adds up with all the rental cars in FL.

Original review: March 7, 2018

If I can give them a zero I would... I've rented many many vehicles and this was my first time renting with Alamo. Trying to get the best deal as always I booked my rental and checked the prices the day of and realized price had dropped $19. I let the rep know to price match their price and he told me he couldn't and I would need to cancel everything and rebook the rental. I let it slip and just continued since I was still getting a decent price.

I have never ever accepted their insurance or any other companies insurance but this time when I declined it that guy smirked which made me feel a bit concerned. I get the car and it surprised me this was the first time I rent a car and they didn't give me a slip to document and damage on the car before I drove it off. With all my other rentals I’ve gotten a “Ready to go” slip. This time the girl in the lot handed me the keys and said to check for any dents bigger than a golf ball and let her know if I saw any. I briefly looked around the car and saw none. Drove off to the wedding at a country club and came back Monday night.

As I returned the car the rep had two other people signing paperwork. He comes to me and says “I will be right with you.” After about 15 mins and me waving the guy in effort to give him the keys and head home to sleep he comes over, pulls his flashlight and starts scanning the car literally in every spot. He goes to the trunk and says “oh no, we definitely need to report this one” (a scratch on the top of the trunk). I told him the girl had told me to check for any dents not scratches. He didn't care and said it was my responsibility to check the car for any damage. It turns out the two people before me were filing damage claims too! I got upset and told him I did not agree! After him going back and forth between me and the other two customers, another car came and he started filing a claim with them too!!!

I told the guy I would file a complaint and he said "I'm doing my job." If they would have done a full inspection like he did before I took it they would realize those scratches were already there! 2 weeks later I get paperwork to pay $500!!! On a $80 rental!!! I am furious and trying to dispute the charges and they won't answer my calls but through email they said. "We've made our decision and you are responsible..." this company is a complete rip off!!! Does not care for their customers and instead aim to falsely accuse the customers who chose to decline their coverage to fixed their damaged vehicles!!! Take pics of any rental you get from them!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

On a recent trip to Colorado, we had a bad experience with Alamo which was not the first. We arrived at the Alamo counter late and was greeted by a friendly counter agent. She looked up our reservation and concluded that it was what Alamo calls a “DRIVE HAPPY DEAL” package. The deal was represented as a premium package which will afford Compact or Larger for the cost greater than a compact (nearly twice the price). Well upon arrival at the Alamo location, that’s not what was provided to us. After much discussion with several rude Alamo representatives including the location manager, I had no other choice but to pay yet again for the upgrade (as it was 1 am). Alamo’s position is that they will offer the vehicle that they have surplus at the time and at the location. Not true as there was more full size vehicles at this location than compact.

I was extremely disappointed with the management of the Denver Airport site and further Alamo policy of this “DRIVE HAPPY DEAL” package which I can only describe as a bait-and-switch. I have been an Alamo insider member for only a couple of years now after many years of being a Hertz Gold member but will reconsider the move. What I thought was a discount provider in Alamo has turned into a large aggravation for me.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

After renting a car in Kona, Hawaii, I will never rent another car from Alamo Rent A Car. At the time of rental, which was late in the evening. They did not go over the car with us to check for previous damage (paint transfers, etc.) from previous renters. Since that was not done and we accidentally cracked the tail light during our rental, they are charging us with damage that was not done by us. They did not even look at the vehicle when we returned the rental and told them about the tail light. They only filled out the paperwork. They are now charging us for paint transfers on the rear bumper ($1200, instead of $300) along with the cracked tail light. I will never rent another vehicle from this company.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Alamo Car Rental customer beware. I made a reservation online with a credit card. Attendant needed card to pick up. I did not have that card so gave them a different card to pick up card and was charged twice without knowing. They should of told me. Had to wait 15 mins for bus to even take us to rental place.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I rented a car at the Fort Myers airport. The staff was very pleasant, and the car I got was clean. 5 days later I was running errands, and when I came out of the store, the car wouldn't start. I called Alamo and customer service was polite. She said it would be a $70.00 charge. Why do I have to pay for Alamo's car not starting!? Not only was it a $70 charge, but what they failed to tell me was they added an 11.11% fee + tax bringing it to almost $89.00. Again, why am I paying this?! They sent me to Enterprise to get another car, and said they would send an email to explain why I was there. I arrived at Enterprise where the employees there were dumbfounded about why I was there, and said they had not received an email. All of this took 3 hours out of my vacation plus an extra $89.00 out of my pocket. Alamo hasn't offered any apologies or vouchers etc.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I had a SUV rental from Alamo Car Rental from Detroit airport location and it was the worst. They have worst service and bad attitude. But the real reason I am doing this review that when I put the SUV back to them I forgot my garage door remote. And I rarely call them. As soon I got to my house that was after I return it 20 min and I am sure that they didn't even touch the truck yet or clean it. So I call them and they put me on hold around 5 min and the woman on other line she told to hold an again. And I thought she going to grab it for me to hold for me or call somebody from outside to bring. She didn't even bother.

And when she put on line again she forgot what I was holding for and she told me she will call me back. She never did. I call after 30 min. The same thing happen. They told me they going to call me for sure. They never did. And called back after hour and half. She was like, "Go ahead and file a report for lost and found because they already rent the SUV again." Instead of making it easy on everybody and get it for me in the beginning. They are the worst, the careless people and worker I ever deal with.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Had to switch auto rental dates from Saturday to Sunday on a trip to Kona, HI due to American Airlines flight delay (snow in Chicago). My Saturday auto reservation was $450 for 17 days. When I rebooked, for the next day for 16 days (same car) it was $1540.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

When are you out of the condo we were pressured very very pressured to buy a car insurance and to move up into a bigger car. We were satisfied with the new Sunday we're giving us and the customer service rep was not satisfied. She was pushing it and pushing us and we found said, "No that's it." She proceeded to pressure us to buy insurance. We explain to her that our insurance company has coverage for the rental. She said, "If you do not think it will take $500 out of your account even if there's a scratch on the car when you bring it back."

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I reserved a luxury vehicle for a week and got a BMW X3 SUV. Although it was acceptable, it was not what I wanted. There was no explanation or discussion. I got what I got and was charged the same rate. Probably not coming back to Alamo. I was disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Salesman stole from me and company refused to acknowledge or even call me back after being informed. Car had issues that were not disclosed. Only got 1 star because I had to choose something to continue. BEWARE!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

We booked our car and GPS by our travel agent in Holland. When we left the desk in Orlando, I asked if the GPS was in the car. It was not, they gave us a box with a GPS. We signed for it, we thought it was a deposit for the box. And now you charged us 304.44 Dollars for using the GPS. We did not asked for this TravelTab Adventurer, only for a GPS. Which our Travel agent already paid for. The rental car was super, only this 304.44 dollars gives us a big headache.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

My wife and I planned a trip to Branson, MO for November 2017. We booked the flight to Little Rock, AR and a rental car with Alamo in October to allow plenty of time to have reservations established. Our flight arrived in Little Rock on Wednesday night at 10:30 PM. We went to the Alamo desk and it was CLOSED. When outside to check where we would pick up the car - totally dark and NO CARS. Neither did Enterprise have any cars. Spoke to Mr. ** who said sorry they have no cars left. So we had to go back inside and rent a car from Avis at double the price. The people at Avis said this was a normal situation during the week to have no cars after 5:30 PM.

Went back outside to get the Avis car and spoke to Mr. ** again who offered to arrange for adjustments for the difference. He said sent him a copy of the transactions (which we did Nov. 11 and Jan. 24. We have had NO acknowledgment from either date. Poor service and does not feel good to be taken advantage of by poor customer service. Be warn folks, there were three of us in the same fix that night.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

We rented a car in Alamo through economycarrental. I requested a Ford E or similar since we were a party of 8 and a lot of luggage. We received confirmation and quotation for ~US800. When we arrived my husband and brother went to Alamo’s counter and...surprise! They stated the class of car we requested was not available. The only thing they could provide was a smaller vehicle (suburban) and over US2,000. I wrote an email to economycarrental about this issue. They answered a couple of days later requesting images of the contract.

We sent the info and they answered again the last days of our rental saying that the category we requested was available and that we “chose” to take the suburban: We chose a car we did not fit in and had to bring the luggage in our laps! We chose a car that was 3 times more expensive. We wrote the same day and instead of answering immediately so we could make the change, they needed more than 10 days to analyze the case??? I think they are cheating customers so they can charge more! Stay away from Alamo and stay away from Economycarrental!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

After being overcharged $370.00. I called customer service as many would. I talked to a nice lady and she tried to help me the most she could. Said she would have the person I needed to talk to contact me. So I left her my number. After waiting 3 hours and not hearing back from the company. I decided to call back to get the situation handled and was hung up on, so I called again.

So, once again I called and was then transferred to a different company at the airport where I used the rental. So, again I called back to customer service. The lady who answered the phone acted in a very unprofessional manner. Ex. First thing was when she answered the phone it wasn't, "Hello, Thank you for calling Alamo. How may I assist you?" It was "this person is calling again haha" after I responded, "Well. Yes I am calling back." I haven't spoken to the person I am in need of speaking with, She then raised her voice at me, (which made me more irate than I already was) talked over me and cut me off.

It was one of the worst customer service experiences I have had. I do understand having people call about being overcharged as I am the General Manager of a Fitness Facility. Things happen and if I were to act the way she did to me, I would be asked to leave IMMEDIATELY, there are no exceptions to this behavior. WILL NEVER RECOMMEND OR USE AGAIN. IF YOU VALUE RESPECT THIS IS NOT THE COMPANY TO USE.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Rented vehicle at Houston Hobby Airport with the intent returning vehicle to Houston Bush Airport. The agent wrote it up as returning to Hobby. I brought it to her attention and she said there may be a small charge to drop at Bush. My mistake was taking her word for it and not getting it writing, after all it is just across town. When I returned vehicle to Bush there was a $62 extra charge and my contract was voided. No one at Alamo's customer service was willing to adjust the extra charge.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

After trying many car companies over decades of travel, I've ended up using Alamo as #2 (Enterprise as #1). I can't stand bad customer service, and I've had generally good service from Alamo over the years.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Picking up this Toyota Camry at Lehigh Valley airport was fast and efficient, but it was in the lot, covered with salt following a snowstorm the previous week. We should have returned to the rental booth, but we were anxious to reach our destination and left the lot. When we realized we couldn't see through the back window or side mirrors we had the car washed ASAP. So much for saving time! As we drove out of the lot "maintenance required" light came on and has stayed on. Ever try to reach someone to talk to?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I had rented a car for 12:30 am on Dec 14th. My flight was delayed and I arrived at the airport after Alamo was closed. I had to reschedule my car rental but they did not charge me any extra and in fact went down on the already low rate. I have had delays before and have had to rebook at a much higher cost. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I had quoted and done a reservation at ALAMO website, and when I arrived at ALAMO at Miami Airport, the salesman at front desk told me I had to contract a car insurance because it was mandatory. It has costed me almost twice price of car rental! I sent several contacts unsuccessfully! They do not care!!!

Alamo Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.

• Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.

• Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.

• Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.

• Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information