1.67/5
Based on 90 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

718 Alamo Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 12, 2018

Recently rented a vehicle from Alamo via my Expedia account. I requested a full size SUV. I was flying into Florida with family. When I was taken to my vehicle it was the smallest Jeep that Jeep has. It was filthy. When I went to get another auto the person that was on the lot was gone. Nowhere to be found. Our flight was late getting in and I was on a time schedule as it was, so we went ahead and took the vehicle. The next day driving to St Augustine I am not quite sure how it happened but the windshield got a crack in it. I looked all over and did not see where a rock had hit it while driving to cause this crack. The crack grew and ran across half of the windshield. When I took the vehicle back they said that they would have to report it.

I had bought their insurance thinking this would be covered. Much to my surprise I received a bill from them for a new windshield. Filthy car, not full size, was a gutless wonder could barely get out of its own way, and I own Jeeps always have and always will except for that model. I got charged for an upgrade model. This was no upgrade. But since the insurance is worthless and will not cover the windshield I don't feel I should have to pay for the windshield. Had I of known that I was suppose to get all objects and anything out of the path of the vehicle when driving on highways I would have paid closer attention. I do not recommend Alamo.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My family member reserved a car for Mon, pickup at the airport in Arizona, all online reserve. So I called to make sure what amount was needed at pickup. The customer service person guaranteed me only price of rental was needed which was 258.00, so at arrival in Arizona airport at 9:30 pm my relative was told 380.00 was needed to pick up. This was so unfair to your customer. After a lengthy process of calling and transferring funds, he was able to be on his way... completely ridiculous. Please train your people to give out correct information when contacted. I will be sure not to go through your company again. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We reserved our automatic transmission car through Expedia and picked it up at the Guayaquil Airport around 2pm. Around 5:30pm that same day it stalled out in heavy traffic and we had to push it to the side of the road and were afraid to drive it again. We called the number we were given for roadside assistance several times and no one answered. We then called the Quito office to ask for help around 6pm. We waited for help and someone called us back at 11pm that evening with no answers about who was coming to get the car etc.

Then the following day at 9:35 someone from the Guayaquil office called and offered a manual transmission car or we would have to wait...we don't drive manual transmission so offering a standard is no help at all. We waited until 6pm to get the replacement car. They then charged us for the gas in the car that broke down. They then lied about offering a manual transmission and said it was a choice we made. Do not rent from Alamo/Enterprise at the Guayaquil Airport. I am glad we actually know people in Ecuador because it would have been horrific if we were just there on vacation without knowing anyone and potentially very dangerous depending on where you break down. DON'T DO IT!!!

Original review: June 2, 2018

I reserved the "manager's special" approximately $38 per day for "compact or larger" at the Louisville Airport. When I arrived with my wife in wheelchair we were told they had a pick-up truck, any other vehicle would be an additional charge. I told them my wife could not climb into a pick up and we needed a normal sedan. They told me that would be an additional charge. I refused and they eventually gave us a six person van with vomit in the back seat.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I reserved a mid-sized SUV with Alamo through Priceline using my debit card. After catching the subway to the airport, I got in line and waited my turn. As I waited, I noticed three people walking away without their paperwork. I would soon find out why. When it came my turn, I presented the card I made my reservation with; a debit card (with $1500 on it). I was told Alamo only accepts debit cards if you have an airline ticket. I asked why Priceline accepted the card and confirmed my reservation based on that card if Alamo wasn't going to accept that card. I asked why they didn't share their debit card policy with the company that's lining up customers for them. "Sir, It's not my policy." Wow; BIG surprise.

I had to take the subway back to DC, get my credit card (that's how much I use it), catch the LAST train back to the airport and go through the process again. Now, as the counter is about to close, they no longer have any mid-size SUVs. One of the employees tries to get me to slip him some cash to get into a "nice" car. I'm not materialistic. I was taking the family to Rhode Island for a wedding. I'd already spent 4 hours just trying to get a car with which to make the trip and this guy's trying to shake me down.

Because all the fuel efficient cars (like the one I reserved) were all gone, I was "upgraded" to a gas-guzzling GMC full-size SUV which got 18 mpg vs. 33 for the car I reserved, and cost $80+ to fill, vs. $34 from my promised vehicle. We were quite comfortable, but after spending $200+ for gas, I didn't feel like I was upgraded. All Alamo had to do was post on Priceline's page what their debit card policy was. I would have either looked around for another company or brought my credit card with me the first time, instead of having to make two trips on the train out to the airport to end up with a car I didn't even want. Will I rent from them again? I wish they'd hold their breath waiting!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: May 28, 2018

O.K., I rented a Toyota Camry from Alamo (through Priceline). I had no complaints with the car. I did have a scrape on the front bumper which will require some repair (totally my fault). When I returned the car, I showed them the scrape, and they requested that I pay $500.00 on my credit card immediately (which I thought was my insurance deductible), and I did so. When I returned home I found out that there was no deductible because it was considered covered under liability, and my agent said that they would reimburse me as soon as they received the necessary info from Alamo.

All of the information that they need to resolve this has long since been faxed, and yet we cannot get the needed estimated repair costs. As if this were not bad enough, they also slapped $56.00 on our rental charge for gas, even though we had filled the gas tank at a gas pump within sight of the return area. I will never rent from Alamo again, and will probably need to go through some legal hassle to resolve the estimate situation. Unbelievable!

Original review: May 21, 2018

Reserved a cheap car with my Delta Points. When my wife rented the car in Tampa they bumped her to a luxury car, charging an extra $214.00... They said they needed a credit card for reference. She signed the contract NOT KNOWING she signed for a luxury car with an upcharge. This is called UTT in sales terms: UP THE TICKET!!! Beware of Alamo business practices, parent companies Enterprise and National… They will work something out if you bring the car back, but if you are on business you can't drive ALL THE WAY BACK, you have things to do... Watch out for the SCAM!!! By the way, it is almost impossible to get a hold of someone live... What an inconvenience. BEWARE!!!

Original review: May 17, 2018

Car rental - Chania Airport, Crete, Greece - Car warnings for ABS, ESC & handbrake assist came on. Punctured. Low pressure came on only hours after tIre change. On return, blamed me for faults. Received no feedback survey request from Alamo - when complaining directly, my emails were just sent to the renter, and vice versa - so the frustration continued.

Original review: May 16, 2018

When I returned my rental car to the airport in Chicago (O'Hare) an Alamo employee told me that the mobile printer wasn’t working and asked if she could email my receipt instead. I said, “yes” (my mistake). I was expecting a $160 bill, but instead was charged over $500. The company’s response to this discrepancy was that I returned the car to Indianapolis instead of Chicago. After a long discussion about where I actually dropped off the car, the employes told me that I had to produce a boarding pass for my flight out of Chicago and proof that I paid for the plane ticket. After digging this all up and sending it, the employee finally issued a refund. I actually would have also appreciated an apology or, at least, an acknowledgment of their mistake.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I rented a car on May 12, 2018 and paid amount $30.14 for Fuel service option (Pay at the time of rental: This option allows a renter to pay for the full tank of gas at the time of rental and return the tank empty). When I return a car on May 14, 2018. Alamo charged me ten dollars more ($39.07) due to return the tank 1/2. DO NOT USE ALAMO.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Rented a SUV for Bozeman Mt. They assigned us to a truck! That doesn't work for 4 people with luggage, and rainy weather! We went back to them and said a truck doesn't work for us. Their response was, "We don't have any more SUVs, so you will have to pay $60 more for an upgraded SUV." Bait and Switch? If I wanted a truck I would have reserved a truck - so the reservation meant nothing! I would never use Alamo again.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I rented a car in Melbourne Airport which we flew into a few weeks ago. My wife is handicapped so I sat her on a seat near an exit and planned to pick up the car and park on the curb by where my wife was. I asked the agent I was filling out the paperwork with if I could leave the car unattended at the curb for a few minutes while I got my wife. The agent (Cathy) said I could go get my wife now and she would go get the car and meet us with the car at the curb. I couldn't believe she volunteered to do this. What great representative of the company.

Original review: May 8, 2018

The car was fine, the help was polite and quite efficient. The major issue was the vehicles GPS. So out of date, despite the car being brand new, it continually routed me through areas in Ghent cars were not supposed to be in. Of course the signs are small and an Flemish, there is no other indication you should not drive there. The end result was $700 in fines and $200 in fees collected by Alamo to 'handle' the fines. Alamo provides a bad GPS, Ghent uses tiny signs in a foreign language and they both make out like bandits at the expense of visitors. Of course you don't find out you've done anything wrong until Alamo dings your CC for almost $1000. I used to love Belgium, and travel there every year. No more. Belgium and Alamo are off the list. Not sure what else to call this policy other than a scam at the expense of tourists that don't speak the language.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 8, 2018

I rented a car in Orlando, Florida for a business convention. I walked around the car at the time of pickup and saw no damage. After a week, I returned the car and I walked with their employee around the car checking for damage. There was no damage and the employee said I was good to go. I advised the employee that the check engine light was on the whole time and they need to check into it. A week later I received a letter from Alamo saying I need to contact my insurance co. to file a claim for damage. What a scam! Piss poor company! Liars! I will fight this and will NOT pay for fraudulent claims! After all these complaints how can this company be in business? It's BS!

Original review: May 4, 2018

Had an 11-day car rental with an unexpected different city drop off which should have been $39 x 11 + $36 airport drop off fee. Total charge should have been around $450, yet they charged me over $700! Two of their agents, one in person at the airport and one on the phone (Brenda #** with reference to her Boss Alissa) told me that I was entitled to a refund. Yet the corporate HQ denies their obvious overcharge. My credit card company Chase Freedom Visa will not support me with researching the documented phone conversations where more than one person said I should get a refund. Please do not ever use Alamo Car Rental. They have stole my money and stole my time in trying to retrieve stolen money.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Background: I reserved a full size SUV, on Sep 22, 2017. I have lived in Michigan since 1989 and expatriate to China in 2010 when I disconnected my vehicle insurance in US. Problem: I had both Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance (from my American Express Card) and voluntarily bought the liability but was told at Alamo Car Rental at Detroit Airport on 10/25/2017 that since I don't have vehicle insurance in US, I was not allowed to rent a full size SUV as I already booked so I was downgraded to Nisan Pathfinder or equivalent. I have been using ALAMO since 2010 every time I returned to US and have had no accident.

Question: Why is there such a policy? If so, why the system allowed me to book full size SUV online then denied me at rental? My travel plan (involving vehicle capacity) was totally compromised. Please explain. Thank you. P.S. Sorry I have no choice but to file the complaints here since I have tried so hard on Alamo website for a long time but the system didn’t allow me.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I prepaid my rental for an economy car at Indianapolis Airport last weekend. Arrived at the counter on time and was helped by Josh, the customer service rep. Josh broke the news that my economy car rental granted me the use of a Smart Car or Fiat, neither with a trunk. That was too small and I am a bit afraid of even being a passenger in one of those. I told Josh I never would have rented that and he apologized but told me that for a mere additional $32 that I could upgrade to a full size. Being nervous about Smart Cars, I unhappily let him charge my card the additional amount. Went out to the garage to get my rental and was helped by a very nice young lady who directed me to my car. I looked around and was surprised to see not a single Smart Car or other tiny-sized auto in the entire lot so I asked her where they were. She indicated that they didn't carry those. So I'd been duped.

I went to the manager and she told me she'd been working there 2 months and she'd never seen a Smart Car in their fleet of rentals. Also, that it wasn't the first time Josh had pulled this stunt and she'd make sure I received a refund of the additional monies paid. Honestly, I couldn't believe it that someone at a reputable company like I thought Alamo was would do such a thing. Clearly, he had gotten away with it before - believe me, he was a good salesman. Kicker is that I have waited a week for the charge to move from pending to completed transactions (and disappear) on my bank statement, but nope, not going away. I was indeed charged for the "upgrade." Be aware and don't be fooled into paying more at the airport. I'll be contacting Alamo about this as well.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I reserved my car 2 months in advance and was told when I went to pick it up that they didn’t have it and wanted to give me a smaller car for the same price. They ended up getting one from another agency. When I return it they added on $100.00 because it was Smoke in would have to be detailed. I don’t even smoke. Nothing I could do but PAY UP. Never Again with Alamo. First time and Last time. Go with Enterprise. Never had a problem with them. Really learned my lesson.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I rented a car from Alamo in January of this year in San Diego. I never purchase the additional insurance. I was billed for the additional insurance by Alamo. When I called to question this I was informed that I had signed an estimate for a total amount including insurance. This is true and my bad as I was in a hurry to get my car and was not paying attention. However when I reviewed my contract with Alamo I did not initial or sign the waiver for additional insurance and declined by my signature all other coverages. So in spite of my declining additional coverages they added it in anyway and are refusing to refund money for the additional coverage at 19.99 per day for 10 days.

By the way the car was returned with no damage at all. Will never rent from Alamo or any of their affiliated companies again. Their customer service is horrible and will not address the issue of my declining coverage and them adding it on anyway. Beware is all I can say. Booked through COSTCO and I will be registering a complaint with them as well. I may be out $200.00 but based on how often I rent cars they will lose more. Sad that companies do business this way.

Original review: April 17, 2018

My travel agent booked a car for my trip to Maui, HI. We picked up the car and were told to check the car for dents larger than a golf ball. Seeing none, we said it was good to go. The car was silver and with the narrow parking spots and the sunlight we did not see a small crease on the bottom of the driver's door at that time. We saw it when we looked at the car from a distance when we parked at our hotel, but it was just a small crease. When we returned the car they filed an incident report and claim with our insurance company.

After 6 weeks I received a letter in the mail saying that the estimate for the repairs and admin fees and loss of use is over $1,000 which includes damage to the headlight, etc. It is a total scam because the photos they sent were for a large scratch on the opposite side of the car and it was towards the front of the car. Now they are saying that we must remit that amount immediately or they will charge my credit card. They are charging us for damage to a car that we did not do. They are adding admin fees, an item called additional cost, and diminishment of value. Please beware! Do Not Rent From Alamo!!!

Original review: April 6, 2018

When I returned the car to Tampa Airport I reported the poor condition of the vehicle and was informed (and given a receipt) that $60 would be credited to my account, a manager would call and $100 in vouchers for my next rental. The $60 credit did not get applied and I was informed that the clerk when I picked up the car had not input my credit card details. There was no phone call from a manager and no vouchers sent out. I've email and spoken to two managers. Still getting the runaround. Disgusting customer service...avoid!

Original review: April 3, 2018

I made an online reservation over Sell Off Vacations website for a car rental with Alamo in Mexico City's Benito Juarez International Airport at International Arrivals Terminal 1. When we got there Alamo said we do not have any cars and would not honor the reservation, even though it was a confirmed reservation. We had to go to Hertz and pay 10 times the advertised rate to get a car without a reservation. When we drove by Alamo's yard it was stuffed full of vehicles, so they lied to us when they said we do not have any cars at all. They were advertising one rate, and then refusing to honor it, instead forcing people to pay much more than the advertised rate to get a car from some other rental company. I even offered to purchase insurance at the rental counter, but one look at our reservation, and they said no cars are available. Pure bait and switch advertising!!!

Original review: April 1, 2018

Just want to let folks know how much I appreciated Alamo's staff (Mr. **) helping me and my family recently with getting an affordable rental car and saving our vacation. Recently, I reserved an Alamo mini-van through Expedia.com. The pickup was at the St. Louis airport and was set for 9am on 3/24th. Due to delays, we got to the airport at 2pm. Unfortunately I did not realize that with Expedia, the cost changed dramatically since we did not pick up by the scheduled time. The new cost was 60% higher and would have blown our vacation budget. Mr. ** listened to our plight. He then worked furiously on the phone and got authorization for a greatly reduced special rate. By doing so, he saved my sanity and our family vacation budget and plan. I just wanted to let Mr. ** know how much we appreciated him helping us. We don't usually use Alamo but will from now on.

Original review: March 30, 2018

10 days after I rented a Subaru out of the Orlando International Airport I received a claim that there had been damage to the vehicle. I immediately went into panic mode and remembered a scratch I had noticed (not bad btw completely buffable) on the driver side door. I hadn't thought anything of the scratch because of the way that the rental was set up. Upon arriving at the airport I went to Alamo and signed necessary documents for my rental, they directed me to the parking garage and I went out to get my economy sized car. When I arrived the man saw my paperwork and said, "Would you like a van instead," not really wanting a van I said, "Sure." He said, "You know what just pick out anything, the keys are inside." I found a sporty Subaru for my week and was quite pleased. With the attendant nowhere in sight I hopped in the car and drove to the exit where they scan the car and send you on your way.

After using the car, I took it back to the garage and there was a hoard of people also returning cars. We all lined up one after another and hopped out leaving our keys in the car. There was at least 40 cars being returned so we took our stuff out, they thanked us and we walked to the airport. NO ONE did a walk around to check for damage and no one instructed me to do so when I picked it up.

After receiving the notice. I was scared to call because I have a deductible on my insurance that I did not want to have to pay. I called and they sent me to their claims unit. I asked them what the damage was and without a beat I described the scratch and that I had seen it when I got it. I told them there were a lot of people there picking up and returning cars and no one took the time to look at the car before or after. Thankfully she said she would close my claim, because of this reason. They know they are too busy to scour every car for scratches before. MAKE SURE YOU mention that if you have one of these claims.

Original review: March 23, 2018

This is our last time using Alamo. We’ve become so fed up over the poor quality and lack of care when it comes to the car itself. The customer service was excellent, but does not even begin to cover for the car quality. Every car we have rented so far smells like strawberry chemicals, which they use to mask the smell of how dirty the interior actually is. When we finally complained to them about how dirty the car was, their only response was “we don’t have the time to clean every single one.” What they meant to say was we clean them when we feel like it. Also, our last car broke down while we were at least 20 miles away from our destination. Not to mention that the windshields were dirty and there is never any wiper fluid in their cars. Needless to say, we Uber everywhere now.

Original review: March 16, 2018

We rented a car from Alamo Rental at the Jacksonville, FL airport. We were talked into the additional insurance on the rental which they said was "full coverage." We were hit head on. We spent the next 24 hours attempting to call their Customer Service Line to report the accident, but nobody ever answered. We received a bill from Alamo after the liable party's insurance paid out charging us for $780.00 in "lost rentals" and "admin fees." We asked to see the subrogation demand submitted to the responsible party's insurance because according the claims agent, they do cover the "lost rental fees" but would not cover the admin fee of $150.00.

Alamo deducted the $3000 supplemental insurance from the damages to the car which would have been covered under the liable insurance company's policies and tried to force us to pay for the "non-covered" charges. The insurance we purchased covered the drivers of the car, not the liable insurance company and they should apply the $3000 in coverage to our out-of-pocket costs, not deduct it from the covered cost of the damages to the car. Also beware, when they offer you "full coverage" it's only $3000.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Before I begin, let me clarify that this review refers to my experience in the town of El Calafate, south of Argentina. But, as Alamo intends to be a worldwide organization, should not allow operations as their franchises in El Calafate (namely Fiorasi Rent a Car) to exist. In summary: a real trap for extras, with lies and vicious tricks. Delivering defective cars, and then mistreating Clients, with threats even, in order to dishonestly increase their profit margins. I will not rent Alamo anymore in Argentina, for sure, and worldwide, as they seem to allow dishonest operations like the one held in El Calafate, Argentina, to exist.

Original review: March 10, 2018

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER... renting a car from Alamo was extremely frustrating. Their agents are rude and very suspicious to what is or isn't a valid driver's license. They would not rent a car with a temporary license and even called for police assistance, wasting the officer's time, trying to validate the license. Calling their customer support was no help and the pre-recorded message at the beginning of the call had more character than the agent I spoke with. I have 2 other reservations with Alamo in the near future that I will be changing to a different company in the morning. Horrible experience.

The customer service that my wife received in person and the customer service that I received over the phone was the WORST ever example of customer service that I have ever received in my entire life. I have dealt with a lot of dirtbags and businesses, but this takes the blue ribbon for the dreadful category. Is this normal for Alamo? I have rented numerous vehicles in my lifetime, never from Alamo, AND NEVER AGAIN. In fact I have 2 pending reservations with Alamo which I will be cancelling tomorrow and going with a different rental company. I will be sharing my experience with whomever will listen and wherever I am able to post it and leave a review of your company.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I recently rented a car while in FL for four days. Unknown to me, we had a SunPass on our vehicle. As a result we were charged $13.00 for tolls about ten days after our return. Unfortunately, we paid for those tolls in cash as we traveled. In NYS the E-Z pass triggers a red/green light if you have one in the car. Guess that does not happen with the SunPass. Meanwhile, we paid double for the tolls. That amount adds up with all the rental cars in FL.

Original review: March 7, 2018

If I can give them a zero I would... I've rented many many vehicles and this was my first time renting with Alamo. Trying to get the best deal as always I booked my rental and checked the prices the day of and realized price had dropped $19. I let the rep know to price match their price and he told me he couldn't and I would need to cancel everything and rebook the rental. I let it slip and just continued since I was still getting a decent price.

I have never ever accepted their insurance or any other companies insurance but this time when I declined it that guy smirked which made me feel a bit concerned. I get the car and it surprised me this was the first time I rent a car and they didn't give me a slip to document and damage on the car before I drove it off. With all my other rentals I’ve gotten a “Ready to go” slip. This time the girl in the lot handed me the keys and said to check for any dents bigger than a golf ball and let her know if I saw any. I briefly looked around the car and saw none. Drove off to the wedding at a country club and came back Monday night.

As I returned the car the rep had two other people signing paperwork. He comes to me and says “I will be right with you.” After about 15 mins and me waving the guy in effort to give him the keys and head home to sleep he comes over, pulls his flashlight and starts scanning the car literally in every spot. He goes to the trunk and says “oh no, we definitely need to report this one” (a scratch on the top of the trunk). I told him the girl had told me to check for any dents not scratches. He didn't care and said it was my responsibility to check the car for any damage. It turns out the two people before me were filing damage claims too! I got upset and told him I did not agree! After him going back and forth between me and the other two customers, another car came and he started filing a claim with them too!!!

I told the guy I would file a complaint and he said "I'm doing my job." If they would have done a full inspection like he did before I took it they would realize those scratches were already there! 2 weeks later I get paperwork to pay $500!!! On a $80 rental!!! I am furious and trying to dispute the charges and they won't answer my calls but through email they said. "We've made our decision and you are responsible..." this company is a complete rip off!!! Does not care for their customers and instead aim to falsely accuse the customers who chose to decline their coverage to fixed their damaged vehicles!!! Take pics of any rental you get from them!

Alamo Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.

• Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.

• Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.

• Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.

• Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information