3.0/5 (2125 ratings)

About Alamo Car Rental

Alamo Car Rental is a car rental agency with locations throughout the United States. Features include online check-in and discounts for Alamo Insiders members. With the Drive Happy app, customers can create and modify car rental reservations. The company also offers car seat rental, GPS navigation, Sirius XM and ski racks.

Pros

• Easy reservations
  • Discounts available
  • Online check-in
  • Mobile app

Cons

• May charge fees for drivers under 25
  • Credit card required

Bottom Line

Alamo rents cars, SUVs, trucks and vans all over the world. Customers can create, modify and cancel reservations online. Alamo offers some discounts but typically charges an extra fee for drivers under 25 years of age.

Top Alamo Car Rental Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

…The rental agent, Chappy, was cheerful and chatty… When he found out that we were there because my mother, who is terminally ill with brain cancer, requested that we all meet one...

Verified

The experience was great and I would be more than happy to use the service again and recommend to friends and family. The value for the rental was great. The staff was very profes...

What is Alamo Rent a Car?

Alamo is a rental car provider with locations around the world. Drivers choose from a wide variety of cars, trucks, SUVs and vans, including everything from economy sedans to luxury sports cars.

You can book, modify and check in for your reservation online, which lets you skip the line and go directly to your rental upon arrival. Alamo also offers last-minute deals and other savings options.

How do you rent a car from Alamo?

When you select your rental car online or in the Alamo app, you have multiple options for body style and vehicle type. Alamo offers both automatic- and manual-transmission cars, SUVs, vans and trucks, including economy, fuel-efficient, luxury, sports and muscle cars.

Once you make a reservation, you can modify or cancel it using Alamo’s website or the app. On the day of your reservation, you have the option to check in online and go straight to your rental when you arrive.

Alamo prices

Alamo rentals typically cost from $90 to $160 per day and $300 to $800 weekly. Small economy cars usually fall at the lower end of the range; you’ll have to pay more for large premium vehicles. The company offers many deals and coupons, including for last-minute rentals, military personnel, one-way travels and upgrades. Be sure to factor in the costs of add-ons, insurance and the cost of gas. Alamo might also charge a fee for drivers aged 21 through 24.

Alamo FAQs

How much is the rental deposit for Alamo?
Alamo doesn’t charge rental deposits for reservations. However, it does place a hold on your credit card for the anticipated total.
What discounts does Alamo offer?
Alamo offers military, last-minute and partner discounts. You can apply coupons and promotion codes during checkout. Sign up for the free Alamo Insiders membership for additional discounts.
Does Alamo charge a one-way fee?
Yes, Alamo charges a one-way fee, known as a “drop charge.” The amount of this fee varies by rental location and time of year.
Can you rent a car from Alamo with a debit card?
No. You must rent a car with a valid credit card in your name. This is required both online and in-store.

Is Alamo a good company?

Alamo is an established car rental company with competitive pricing and extensive vehicle options. Note that it requires a credit card for all rentals and usually charges a fee for drivers under 25. You can easily book and modify your reservation online or with Alamo’s mobile app.

Alamo Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

We missed our flight out of Charlotte NC and needed a rental car ASAP. We were in a desperate situation and were feeling kind of panicky. John H. (at the Charlotte Douglas International) was AMAZING!! He answered all of our questions and made the entire process flawless. I cannot emphasize enough how wonderful he was.

Alamo Car Rental response

Thanks for the kudos, Anita. I will pass your kind words along to John and team. We look forward to your next visit! -Chris R.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

We rented a vehicle at the Barcelona Spain Airport on November 9, 2022 to be returned on November 15, 2022. Total cost was to be 213.49 EUR plus a deposit of 150 EUR to be returned when we brought the car back. We drove about 120 miles to Collioure France where we were to spend the week. We parked in the hotel parking lot. The next morning we discovered a flat tire. I checked and there was no spare tire. We called the roadside assistance phone number on a card we were given at the time of rental. After several attempts we got someone who said they would send a man in about 2 hours. OK...2 hours later a man shows up with a large truck. But instead of changing the tire places the car on his truck and drives off. He speaks neither English or French. We are left there with no car. After 4 or 5 phone calls to the Barcelona Airport for Enterprise Rent a Car no one ever answered.

We look on the card again and find an email address. We send a message to them. A person named Monica. We receive a reply that they have reserved a car for us at a nearby Enterprise outlet. The Airport at Perpignan, France for the next day....OK...Next morning we get a taxi to the Perpignan Airport (140 EUR) and pick up the car and continue our vacation. For some reason they were unable to give us a copy of the rental agreement. We return the car to Barcelona on November 14, 2022 and fly out of the country. Everything seems reasonable except that we could not figure out why they didn't drive up to us with a new tire and change it. Why take the whole car and leave us stranded? Would have been a lot less expensive.

Now Alamo/Enterprise wants to charge me an additional 527.07 EUR for damage and towing. And in addition another $287.65 for the rental in Perpigan. So a 213.49 EUR car rental has become 814.72 EUR. In the rental agreement I was offered roadside protection insurance which I declined. It states "Alamo offers Roadside Assistance Protection. Roadside Assistance Protection allows Alamo customers to waive all financial responsibilty for the following-tyre (excluding the rim) replacement costs, except when part of a larger repair, replacement keys costs and all recovery and call charges imposed by our chosen roadside assistance providers as aresult of a fault caused by renter error."

The tire was flat overnight in the hotel parking lot. We drove only on paved roads and parked a approved areas. This is certainly no fault of ours. The decision to take the vehicle instead of changing the tire was entirely Enterprises decision as poor as it was. The car was unsafe when rented. A tire in poor condition and a lack of a spare tire. It could have become dangerous if the tire had failed on the motorway.

Enterprise made to effort to get us another car when they towed the first on away. We had to do it on our own. They just didn't care (That is the big problem). Very poor management. We have used Alamo on numerous occasions both in the US and Ireland and the UK. Never a problem. This Barcelona Airport facility is a very poor represenitive for the company. My advice is do not rent from Alamo/Enterprise in Spain.

Alamo Car Rental response

We'd like to hear more about your experience, Alan. Please email Care@Alamo.com with the rental location, rental agreement number and the details of what occurred. We look forward to hearing from you! -Chris R.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

During my stay in Paris, I rented a vehicle that the company charged me 180e for one day, but when picking up the vehicle they asked me for a plane ticket that I didn't have, so in the end I didn't even get the vehicle! But the ALAMO company doesn't want to give me back the money for a vehicle that I didn't even rent! THIEVES.

Alamo Car Rental response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Ofanziva. We would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, reservation information and all the details so we can address this. Thank you - Chris R.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I recently hired a car in Reykjavik. There was no issue with the hire of the car. The salesperson asked where we planned to go and when told we were doing the Golden Circle tour. They advised this would use 3/4 tank of fuel and advised we prepay this. I accepted this. On returning the car I had used less than 1/2 a tank of fuel. I asked via email if I would be refunded for the 1/4 tank I did not use, only to be told this was a service provided with no refunds. I feel I was misled at the counter and if I had known there was no refund would not have taken this service.

Alamo Car Rental response

Hi Paul, we would like to look into your billing concern. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, rental agreement or reservation number and the information above. Thank you. – Chad

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

I rented a vehicle from Alamo in San Salvador-Oct19 to Nov 3, 2022. Bought Alamo Protection Package, which did not covered the damage that I caused to the vehicle. Cost $650.0 plus the rental and package $922.43. I don't understand what the insurance was about. A scam, someone is making money.

Alamo Car Rental response

Hi Wilbert, we would like to know more about your experience so we can help. Please email care@alamo.com and include the rental location, rental agreement or reservation number and your contact information. Thank you. – Chad

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

From the online reservation to the return of the rental this was the BEST car rental experience I have ever had!! Tampa Airport Alamo made it easy, I never had to ask a question because they gave me all the info I needed!

Alamo Car Rental response

We appreciate your positive review about your recent experience with us. Thank you for your business! – Chad

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

I recently rented a car from Alamo at Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City. When I picked up the car, the attendant inspected the vehicle and pointed out some prior minor damage on the car. She told me to let the person know when I exited the facility. Thankfully I had the sense to take a picture of the damage right there at the facility. I let the gate attendant know about the damage and she wrote a note on my receipt (and apparently ONLY on my receipt). Thankfully I didn't lose this very important piece of evidence. Because guess what? A few weeks later I received notification that I was going to responsible for damages caused by A PRIOR RENTER!

This is beyond deceptive and unethical. Alamo already knew about this damage and probably already collected fees from that renter (and who knows how many other renters). I sent them a copy of the picture I took and a scanned copy of my receipt where the gate attendant noted the damage. Alamo swiftly backed off and closed the case. They were obviously banking on me having no adequate proof of their attempted fraud. This is the 2nd strike for Alamo for me. There will NOT be a 3rd.

Alamo Car Rental response

Thank you for your feedback, Steve. If you’d like to discuss this further, please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, rental information and all the details above. Thank you. – Chad

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

I rented a car on October 5, 2022, from the Vancouver Airport. The agent at the desk was very helpful and friendly, but as soon as I get to the parking lot booth, the agent there was snarky and rude. When I went to return the vehicle that same day, signage was poor so I went to the front desk to understand what was required. The front desk agent was condescending and directed me to the parking lot booth, which was empty when I first got there. After looking at the charges, I saw an additional $10 for fuel. I had filled up completely in Richmond, just before I returned to the airport to drop off the car - how 3 litres mysteriously was burned up in a distance of 7.5 km (from the Petro Canada) is simply that, a mystery. Wasn't happy with the service so I probably won't be going back to Alamo.

Alamo Car Rental response

We'd like to hear more about your experience, Vince. Please email Care@Alamo.com with the rental location, rental agreement number and the details of what occurred. We look forward to hearing from you! -Chris R.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

On vacation family of 5 with 2 kids and a 8 month old. The car overheated. We had to pull over and on a freeway, On a hot day had to figure out how to keep the kids cool while we couldn't turn on the air as the car was overheated. We called the company for assistance. we were told they were going to send a tow truck but of course we all couldn't go in the tow truck. We had to figure our way back to the Airb&b without my husband no car seat as we couldn't take theirs. That whole after was ruined. We had plans to do activities and dinner. My husband was able to get a new rental car but that day was ruined. He didn't get back till late. We had to leave the next morning. As much as we wanted to be understanding with the company we are now getting charged for the tow that day, after my husband had to leave us and we had to figure out what we did. We shouldn't have to pay for the Tow. The car overheated.

Alamo Car Rental response

Thanks for reaching out about this matter, Angelica. I regret the inconvenience this has caused. If you could please email Care@Alamo.com with the rental location, rental agreement number, and all of the details, we would like to look into this further. We look forward to hearing from you. –Chris R.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I rented a car with Alamo at the airport when I arrived for a vacation in Anchorage at 1 pm on Aug 16. When I inspected the car, I noticed that the car had scratches but assumed I was getting a reliable car. On Aug 17, I had a flat tire 22 miles out of Anchorage as I was heading to a prepaid glacier hike that was non-refundable. It was a very scary experience being stranded off the highway with our 11 year old son, not having a spare tire in our car, having to spend the next three hours getting the car towed and waiting for an Uber on the highway once car was towed, and going back to the airport to get another car. The customer service support was terrible and I had to call the police because at one point I was not even being assisted with getting a tow company.

When I returned the car, I informed Alamo/Enterprise rep of this experience and requested a credit against our car rental charges for being a victim of things outside my control - not having a spare in the car and as a result not being able to go to a nearby tire shop (Eagle River area) to get the tire fixed and forfeiting the money I paid for my hike. The response I received back from Alamo/Expedia was "You did not choose to take our optional Roadside coverage upon start of the rental, which covers all charges including keys, tires, and towing with any incidents with the rental...when renting the vehicle, you do take responsibility for the vehicle and incidents that occur with it, including flat tires". I have been renting cars for years and have not experienced such lack of accountability for a poorly maintained car coupled with no accountability when the customer was put at risk.

Alamo Car Rental response

Pinky, I am disappointed to hear about this experience. We’d like to help address this matter. Please email Care@Alamo.com with the location of rental, rental agreement number and the details of your concern so we can look into this more closely. Thank you! –Chris R.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information