1.4/5 (31 ratings)

About Alamo Car Rental

Alamo Car Rental is a car rental agency with locations throughout the United States. Features include online check-in and discounts for Alamo Insiders members. With the Drive Happy app, customers can create and modify car rental reservations. The company also offers car seat rental, GPS navigation, Sirius XM and ski racks.

Pros

• Easy reservations
  • Discounts available
  • Online check-in
  • Mobile app

Cons

• May charge fees for drivers under 25
  • Credit card required

Bottom Line

Alamo rents cars, SUVs, trucks and vans all over the world. Customers can create, modify and cancel reservations online. Alamo offers some discounts but typically charges an extra fee for drivers under 25 years of age.

Top Alamo Car Rental Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

…The rental agent, Chappy, was cheerful and chatty… When he found out that we were there because my mother, who is terminally ill with brain cancer, requested that we all meet one...

Verified

The experience was great and I would be more than happy to use the service again and recommend to friends and family. The value for the rental was great. The staff was very profes...

What is Alamo Rent a Car?

Alamo is a rental car provider with locations around the world. Drivers choose from a wide variety of cars, trucks, SUVs and vans, including everything from economy sedans to luxury sports cars.

You can book, modify and check in for your reservation online, which lets you skip the line and go directly to your rental upon arrival. Alamo also offers last-minute deals and other savings options.

How do you rent a car from Alamo?

When you select your rental car online or in the Alamo app, you have multiple options for body style and vehicle type. Alamo offers both automatic- and manual-transmission cars, SUVs, vans and trucks, including economy, fuel-efficient, luxury, sports and muscle cars.

Once you make a reservation, you can modify or cancel it using Alamo’s website or the app. On the day of your reservation, you have the option to check in online and go straight to your rental when you arrive.

Alamo prices

Alamo rentals typically cost from $90 to $160 per day and $300 to $800 weekly. Small economy cars usually fall at the lower end of the range; you’ll have to pay more for large premium vehicles. The company offers many deals and coupons, including for last-minute rentals, military personnel, one-way travels and upgrades. Be sure to factor in the costs of add-ons, insurance and the cost of gas. Alamo might also charge a fee for drivers aged 21 through 24.

Alamo FAQs

How much is the rental deposit for Alamo?
Alamo doesn’t charge rental deposits for reservations. However, it does place a hold on your credit card for the anticipated total.
What discounts does Alamo offer?
Alamo offers military, last-minute and partner discounts. You can apply coupons and promotion codes during checkout. Sign up for the free Alamo Insiders membership for additional discounts.
Does Alamo charge a one-way fee?
Yes, Alamo charges a one-way fee, known as a “drop charge.” The amount of this fee varies by rental location and time of year.
Can you rent a car from Alamo with a debit card?
No. You must rent a car with a valid credit card in your name. This is required both online and in-store.

Is Alamo a good company?

Alamo is an established car rental company with competitive pricing and extensive vehicle options. Note that it requires a credit card for all rentals and usually charges a fee for drivers under 25. You can easily book and modify your reservation online or with Alamo’s mobile app.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: June 12, 2022

My wife and I were making a rental via Alamo. After finishing everything else, we tried to enter our info to pay now ($242 cost), and we got an error message that said: "card type not supported". They kept trying to redirect us to the pay later option ($254), which is $12 more. We tried a few times, then called the local office at our destination airport. They took all the same info as the website but quoted us the $254. I said I'd like to pay now at the same $242 on the website. They informed me they cannot take payment info in advance, so I have to do that option. I canceled my entire purchase and further research showed their website can only take credit cards. Setting aside that many people use debit cards, so that's arbitrary and exclusionary, the fact that every option pushed me back to the one that costs $12 more is a blatant representation of nickel & diming customers.

The money isn't the issue, we went with a more expensive competitor that didn't treat us that way. The point is that in a competitive market, where customers are not a captive audience, this is a terrible way to run a business. After they did this, I assumed there would be more hidden charges and I didn't want to work with them at all.

Alamo Car Rental response

Jason, we're disappointed to hear this. If we can help you out email Care@Alamo.com. Please be sure to include the specific details of your concern, your contact telephone number, exact rental office location, and any reservation or rental agreement numbers. Thank you! – Carol H.

Original review: April 18, 2022

I rented a car to see my elderly mother in Fort Meyers Fl. The 2 day car rental was contracted at $108. My flight was cancelled. The only choice I had was to drive to Savanah. I called they said the charge would be $340. I had no choice. When I got to Savanah (15 hours past the original $108 drop off time) they said I now owed $448.90!!! I had this car barely 3 days in total. How can you justify how you keep changing the prices? Alamo's answer, oh we can. You should have locked into the price it changes every minute. I thought I did! What??? REALLY and you want people to rent your cars? BEWARE of this company's policies. It's PRICE GOUGING AT ITS FINEST. Shame on Alamo.

Alamo Car Rental response

ann, we appreciate when customers share their experiences with us. We'd like to hear more about yours. At your convenience, please email CARE@ALAMO.com include the details of your concern above, your contact telephone number, exact rental office location, and your reservation or rental agreement numbers. Thank you for choosing Alamo! – Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2022

We booked a rental car in San Antonio worth $2500 USD but never received the car because my passport and license were not issue by the same country, despite this never being specifically stated as clearly anywhere as a requirement. This left myself and my family stuck at the airport without a rental (luckily Sixt saved the day). To make matters worse Alamo just shrugged their shoulder and ‘apologised for the inconvenience’ - yes, it’s highly inconvenient to be on the other side of the planet to find you can’t rent the car because you don’t make your document requirements clear at the time of booking!!!

Alamo Car Rental response

Graham, thank you for your feedback. I assure you it's never our intention to disappoint a customer. Please contact our team directly at Care@Alamo.com. Include the details above, your contact telephone number, exact rental office location, and any reservation or rental agreement numbers so that we can look into this promptly. Kind regards. – Carol H.

Original review: March 22, 2022

We spent the first weekend in March in Orlando, FL and upon arriving to the airport in Sanford, FL at 10pm proceeded to the baggage claim and then to our rental location. The lady at customer service was very nice. Then when we stepped outside to find our midsized rental car, an attendant asked us if we wanted an upgrade to a F150 pickup. We agreed as this is what we drive back home in ND. We were tired and exhausted and just got in to drive away. After getting a few blocks away we started noticing the subpar condition of the vehicle. The backseat light was missing, some of the door seal rubber was loose, there were dents and dings to the vehicle. I took photos of some of the fore mentioned items.

We were honestly upset because our vehicles at home are in much better condition, but we just wanted to get to the hotel and settled in as we had an early morning. Two days later when we returned our rental vehicle, we talked to the attendant, showed her some items and even suggested that the tires be balanced. We received our receipt and were on our way to fly home. Then two days later, I receive an email from the Damage Recovery Unit stating they need my insurance information for damage to the vehicle. There is no pictures, no description of what damage, nothing.

So I respond and state the facts of the condition the vehicle was in when we picked up and gave the attendant's name from whom "upgraded" us to this vehicle, now I haven't heard back for a couple days again. This is a frustrating situation and I want it to be resolved. I refuse to pay for damage that I did not do. I've done quite a lot of digging online and this seems to be a usual issue for people that do not opt for THEIR insurance coverage. That is just absolutely distasteful business practice on their part. It wouldn't let me give them zero stars.

Alamo Car Rental response

Josie, I assure you that we never intend to disappoint our valued customers and we're happy to speak with you directly about your recent experience. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location, the information above, and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: March 5, 2022

I booked a minibus from Barcelona airport months in advance. The night before I was due to fly out I was sent an email saying that the bus was not available and they couldn’t understand how I’d made the booking as they hadn’t had one available here for months. This led to a very stressful and expensive couple of hours in the airport whilst I tried to book another bus just hours before my flight when I happened to see the email. I had 6 people depending on me for transport during their holiday for the following week. Utterly disgraceful behaviour by Alamo / Enterprise.

Alamo Car Rental response

Stephen, thank you for sharing this concern with us. I apologize for any inconvenience this caused you. We'd like the chance to take a look at this with you. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

Bad review: Do not rent from Alamo. Lousy customer service. They refused to retrieve my personal GPS device from rental car. I called and they said car is available, not rented yet. But they did not bother to get the device and ship it. I lost 6.5 Garmin GPS device because customer service is too busy to pick the device and send it to customer. Lost and found is useless. The entire experience is a sham. Do not forget any belongings in rental cars. Do not rent from Alamo.

Alamo Car Rental response

Mohamed, we understand how frustrating it is to misplace a valued or valuable item. I assure you our offices do their very best to locate left behind items and return them to their rightful owner. For the most efficient service, please file a Lost & Found report using the link provided here. http://bit.ly/29BwB8l - Carol H.

Resolution response: Jan. 24, 2022

The company sent me an email saying they refunded me. So, it is resolved. Thank you again!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Hello, I just received my Alamo Rental Agreement # **, Invoice # ** and they charged me for the lock out (I locked the car with the keys inside), but as you can check in their records, I was waiting for 3 and a half hours for the service and wasn't attended. I had to hire another service provider and pay for it from my own pocket because Alamo wasn't able to help me. So, I would like a refund for that 65.00 USD they charged me and didn't do. I will wait for you response on that, please. Have a great day. Bernardo

Alamo Car Rental response

Bernardo, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. If we can help with this, please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thank you. –Carol H.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I reserved a minivan from Alamo at the Ft. Myers airport. The wait at the Alamo counter was significantly longer than any other line. The kiosk only partially worked, and so I had to return to the long line. The clerk abruptly told me I could have saved $15 per day (times 10 days) for a second driver had I booked the rental through Costco. After completing the check-in, there was an unusually long wait in a second line to actually get the vehicle. I did not rate lower than 2 stars because the vehicle was clean and in very satisfactory condition.

Alamo Car Rental response

David, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. If you'd like to share further details with us, please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I was forced to change my flight due to a cancelation and had to route to another city. Alamo did NOTHING to help me with doing that and charged me an additional $500+ fee to drop off in Orlando instead of Jacksonville. I was treated poorly on the phone and no one even TRIED to help me. I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars with Alamo and this is how I'm treated? I am a frequent traveler but NEVER will rent with Alamo again, and you shouldn't either. I've dealt with so many other companies that will treat you like you matter.

Alamo Car Rental response

Andy, thank you for your honest review. For our help, please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details. We look forward to hearing from you soon. – Carol H.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

Needed to change drop off point from West Palm Beach to Fort Meyers (Florida) due to airline flight cancellation due to Covid of flight crew. Alamo charged me $500 to do so even though turning in on same day. Further - first rental car had broken mirror and had to drive back to exchange. Outrageous exchange fee - will not use Alamo again and travel often using Expedia. Customer service worker was also smug.

Alamo Car Rental response

Loren, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details. We look forward to hearing from you soon. – Carol H.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information