2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.9/5 (1316 ratings)

About Alamo Car Rental

Alamo Car Rental is a car rental agency with locations throughout the United States. Features include online check-in and discounts for Alamo Insiders members. With the Drive Happy app, customers can create and modify car rental reservations. The company also offers car seat rental, GPS navigation, Sirius XM and ski racks.

Pros

• Easy reservations
  • Discounts available
  • Online check-in
  • Mobile app

Cons

• May charge fees for drivers under 25
  • Credit card required

Bottom Line

Alamo rents cars, SUVs, trucks and vans all over the world. Customers can create, modify and cancel reservations online. Alamo offers some discounts but typically charges an extra fee for drivers under 25 years of age.

Top Alamo Car Rental Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

…The rental agent, Chappy, was cheerful and chatty… When he found out that we were there because my mother, who is terminally ill with brain cancer, requested that we all meet one...

Verified

The experience was great and I would be more than happy to use the service again and recommend to friends and family. The value for the rental was great. The staff was very profes...

What is Alamo Rent a Car?

Alamo is a rental car provider with locations around the world. Drivers choose from a wide variety of cars, trucks, SUVs and vans, including everything from economy sedans to luxury sports cars.

You can book, modify and check in for your reservation online, which lets you skip the line and go directly to your rental upon arrival. Alamo also offers last-minute deals and other savings options.

How do you rent a car from Alamo?

When you select your rental car online or in the Alamo app, you have multiple options for body style and vehicle type. Alamo offers both automatic- and manual-transmission cars, SUVs, vans and trucks, including economy, fuel-efficient, luxury, sports and muscle cars.

Once you make a reservation, you can modify or cancel it using Alamo’s website or the app. On the day of your reservation, you have the option to check in online and go straight to your rental when you arrive.

Alamo prices

Alamo rentals typically cost from $90 to $160 per day and $300 to $800 weekly. Small economy cars usually fall at the lower end of the range; you’ll have to pay more for large premium vehicles. The company offers many deals and coupons, including for last-minute rentals, military personnel, one-way travels and upgrades. Be sure to factor in the costs of add-ons, insurance and the cost of gas. Alamo might also charge a fee for drivers aged 21 through 24.

Alamo FAQs

How much is the rental deposit for Alamo?
Alamo doesn’t charge rental deposits for reservations. However, it does place a hold on your credit card for the anticipated total.
What discounts does Alamo offer?
Alamo offers military, last-minute and partner discounts. You can apply coupons and promotion codes during checkout. Sign up for the free Alamo Insiders membership for additional discounts.
Does Alamo charge a one-way fee?
Yes, Alamo charges a one-way fee, known as a “drop charge.” The amount of this fee varies by rental location and time of year.
Can you rent a car from Alamo with a debit card?
No. You must rent a car with a valid credit card in your name. This is required both online and in-store.

Is Alamo a good company?

Alamo is an established car rental company with competitive pricing and extensive vehicle options. Note that it requires a credit card for all rentals and usually charges a fee for drivers under 25. You can easily book and modify your reservation online or with Alamo’s mobile app.

Alamo Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: May 15, 2021

I book with Alamo through Hotwire and get crazy deals on large vehicles because I usually have an army to carry around or of town. The rates are great, cars are clean and ready to go. My local airport combines Alamo with National and Enterprise because it's a small town international Airport but all 3 companies are great.

Alamo Car Rental response

Telia, thank you for the awesome review. We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with us and look forward to seeing you soon! - Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Alamo saved us. When we landed and tried to pick up our vehicle on hold with another rental they refused to take a debit card. After losing time standing in the long lines of other renters who also refused us, Alamo came to our rescue. By the time we got to them they only had one vehicle left and it was a high end pickup. They could have charged us for the upgrade, but they let us have it at the economy car price for the troubles the other renters gave us. Alamo rules and has our business from now on.

Alamo Car Rental response

Debbie, I'm so glad to hear we were able to help you out! Thanks for the great review! We look forward to seeing you again soon. - Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

We had the pleasure of renting from Alamo at Nashville International Airport. All the staff were wonderful, but the standout employee was Herman **. He is the greeter there and was absolutely fantastic. He was friendly and extremely helpful. He is the perfect representative for Alamo.

Alamo Car Rental response

Kirk, we're so glad that we were able to go above and beyond your expectations! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did. We'll pass the compliment onto Herman and hope to see you again soon! - Carol H

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Went on lots of NASA business trips with lots of rental car companies. Alamo was far superior & I use them exclusively on all of my personal vacations each year. They have always been terrific to deal with throughout the rental car process.

Alamo Car Rental response

Thank you for your loyalty and positive review, Glenn! We're so glad you've enjoyed our services and we look forward to seeing you again soon! - Carol H.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I recently traveled to Puerto Rico and rented a car from Alamo. The price given online is what the price was. No bait and switch! Pickup was right outside of the airport doors so no shuttle needed. I waiting maybe 10 minutes to get to the counter. No sales pressure at all. I had my own insurance policy and did not purchase theirs. I paid with a credit card. An extra $60 in addition to my rental fee was holding (compared to the $400 & $500 other rental companies wanted for a deposit in the area). I took my rental contract to the lot to get my rental car. An employee approached and gave us a free upgrade to a small SUV with two to choose from. The vehicle was nice and very clean.

Upon returning, we pulled into a line and unloaded our belongings. An employee walked over and scanned a barcode on the windshield and took the keys. That was it! Nothing more to do for the return process. On the way inside the airport, I received a text stating what my card was charged for which was the original price, nothing more. My $60 deposit was immediately released and available within seconds. It really doesn't get any easier than this!

Alamo Car Rental response

Stacy, thanks for taking the time to share your great rental experience with us! We'll be sure to pass this compliment along. See you next time! - Carol H.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Reservation desk associate asked me for a 3rd piece of ID other than my driver's license and credit card. Nowhere does it state this was needed and I was fumbling through all my stuff to find something. He finally settled on my luggage tag. Just ridiculous. First car I was pointed at to drive someone was already in the car. Second car I was told I could take the inspection sticker expired a year ago. Third car I was told I could take smelled like ** and there was no inspection sticker at all.

Fourth car was a 2021 Chevrolet Malibu. Had a gas smell but the guy said they had just fueled it and perhaps that was leaked onto the tire or somewhere. I should've never taken this car. Had to drive with all my windows down and sunroof open to avoid being sick from gas smell. Currently awaiting tow truck as the gas smell has not dissipated but only gotten worse. Only drove an hour and a half away. Sure hope I don't have to pay the towing expense or for the day I'm not using it. Not getting another car from them.

Alamo Car Rental response

Amy, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations this visit. We would be happy to look into this for you. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and additional details of your rental. Thank you. –Carol H.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I rented a car in Milwaukee for 30 hours. I picked it up in a dark garage and skimmed over for damage. The car was never out of my sight. I returned it and there was a “smudge” behind the passenger side rear tire. I was forced to fill out an accident report and a month later charged $308 for a smudge. Customer beware: check your car and even the slightest mark should be reported immediately. I am no longer an Alamo customer and hope someone else learns from my misfortune.

Alamo Car Rental response

Mike, thanks for your review. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: April 23, 2021

Rented a vehicle from the Panama City, FL location 4/2/2021 - 4/9/2021. On 4/9/2021 I returned the vehicle to the Alamo/Enterprise parking lot and left the keys in the vehicle (as the directions stated on the sign outside the rental lot). On 4/17/2021 my credit card was charged an additional $885.23, Alamo claimed I used the vehicle for an additional week which is impossible since I flew back to Michigan on 4/9/2021.

Alamo's Customer Service is useless and incompetent. Two phone calls with Customer Service resulted in no action taken, I was told the Panama City Alamo office has to call me in order to refund the additional charge. The Panama City Alamo office did not call me back within 2 days as the Customer Service rep stated on Wednesday, 4/21/2021 so I placed another call to Customer Service on 4/23/2021. The CS rep I spoke to said I have to wait for the Panama City Alamo office to call me, I asked to speak to someone else, he gave me the number for Enterprise, Alamo, etc. So I had to make another phone call, same results, the Customer Service rep put in a request to the Panama City Alamo office to call me. At this point I am going to have my credit card company challenge the charge since Alamo Customer Service is impotent and ineffective.

Alamo Car Rental response

Chris, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations and we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: April 1, 2021

Reserved car online. Made sure everything was set so no issues with car rental when arrived. Flew into Orlando and was going to drive car back home to Michigan. Upon arrival, I was told I could not have the car. I was told reserving it did not mean I would actually get a car. I had a temporary license but had my birth certificate, social security card, credit cards, bills, bank statements, work cards with photos on them and more. I was told even though TSA requires a great deal of proof to get on a plane, I wasn't driving the plane so they didn't care how much proof I had. I was also told a temporary license from the DMV did not count as a license for Alamo. I was left stranded. I had no transportation, no way home. It took a week to get a flight home.

I would not recommend Alamo!! In addition, there were 4 people at the counter trying to get vehicles they had reserved, only 1 of the 4 walked away with keys. 75% of reservations at that counter were denied. The odds are not in your favor. Manager was rude and condescending. Alamo also owns National and Enterprise with the same manager on duty for all 3 so going to another car rental company is not as easy as it sounds. Plus, at the last minute without a reservation for a car-it is more expensive. I am devastated by the treatment and the fact they left me stranded without care or compassion.

Alamo Car Rental response

Michelle, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations and would be happy to look into this for you. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation numbers, and more details of your rental. Thank you. - Carol H.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I recently rented a car from Alamo with damage already done. I told them that and they even put a white “X” on the spot. They later sent me a claim stating there was damage on the car. What a joke of a company. I told them exactly where the “X” was located and that their employee put that on the car. I will never be renting from this company again. Also when we got the car there was trash in the center console!

Alamo Car Rental response

William, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations and we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information