1.47/5

748 Alamo Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I rented an SUV from Alamo in Orlando Florida, my husband was told by many agents there wouldn’t be an additional hold/deposit on my card aside from the cost of the rental. I checked my account everyday to make sure no such hold was placed but the day I returned the car the bill was doubled. The next day the correct amount was withdrawal from account but the hold/deposit for the doubled amount stayed on my account for 4 additional days.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I arrived to Miami from Colombia with my lo little daughter and my wife. I had made my reservation 3 months ago and when I went to pick up the car, they told me that my driver's license was expired and because of that they can't not give me a car. My license has no expiration date and they stated that I needed the "new license". What new license? I drive around the world with my license. My sister who lives in the United States offer to rent the car and have me as second driver, they said no because the rate only applies to international drivers. They almost ruined my vacation. I will never even consider Alamo again. Bad attitude, bad service, misleading advertising.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I traveled to Charleston on September 22, 2018 with my daughter and a friend. We wished to put both myself and friend on the record as drivers. We were told that we must pay 11.00 per day for second driver, but if we were married, the second driver is free. I offered to give them my insurance information in case it was an insurance issue. They would not budge. I told them that this was discriminatory - they said it was the rule. I will never use Alamo again. There is no reason to have this rule, for heaven's sake. Note: we are three females, one daughter age 28 and two friends who are early 60s.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

THIS WAS AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE. THEY LIE, CHEAT AND STEAL. TRIED TO TAKE OVER $600 FROM ME. DIDN'T DELIVER SERVICE AS discussed or described on website. Lied again when I called them. Very manipulative company. Will take everything they can from you. Feel violated. Wasted 5 hours of my life on the phone and worrying about Alamo.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I Rented a full size car thru the Alamo website for Denver International airport and chose no additional options that require payment. I chose the “skip the line” option. My flight was delayed due to weather for 4 hours so I called and let them know. I was told no problem and they hold reservations for 24 hours. We arrived and took the shuttle to the rental spot. I skipped the long line inside and went straight out to pick my car. First two smelled of smoke and the trunks were too small for our luggage so we chose a Ford Fusion. Did a once over on the car and found several dings/scratches/damages to the car and reported them on the way out.

Car did well until the next to last day when it overheated twice in the mountains. My husband looked at the fuel levels and they all were good but we were a little leery of trying to cross the Continental Divide with an overheating car. We called the Roadside Assistance and spoke to Adam. After many back and forth calls, we were told they would have to get a tow truck from Pueblo and pick up our car in Gunnison. Then the tow truck would take the car to Montrose, exchange it for another and bring it back to us in Gunnison and then the tow truck would have to drive back to Pueblo all on our dime because I did not purchase the Roadside Assistance package. OR we could drive the car to Montrose ourselves and exchange the car. This would only take maybe 3 hours round trip for us and the car was still reliable on fairly flat road. We chose the latter.

Adam said he would notify Montrose of us needing to exchange a car and everything should be ready when we got there. Of course when we got there, there was no advance notice that we would be coming but Joe was right on it! Only problem here was no full size cars available so we ended up with a mini-van. That was ok since we only had one day left. When we returned the car to DIA, the manager on site, Carlton, was more than kind and understanding and actually gave us a credit toward the cost of the rental for our inconvenience. I would think Alamo should look into their training and customer service. Many of the reviews are awful. I was fortunate and had helpful and kind people on my rental this time but it would make me think twice about renting from them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

The woman at the desk refused to give me the rental because she claimed my license was fake! I tried several times to prove it was real but she would not let me talk. Every time I tried to say something she yelled "I will not argue with you!" I even called the police department office and they verified my license is real and valid but she still refused me service! She called me an illegal driver and told me that there is no way she would ever let me drive one of her vehicles. I was so appalled by how she treated me and the things she was saying I finally just asked to get my money back for the 2 days I had reserved and she then tried telling me that I never paid for anything!

I had the transaction on my account that said $78 from Alamo that had already been charged but she still refused to refund my money. How on earth can Alamo have someone like this working for them? I was refused service based off her own opinion and was refused to be given my money back! This is the craziest, most unpleasant experience I have ever had from any service/business in my entire life and I cannot believe anyone would have someone as disrespectful as this woman working for their company. This ordeal made me 2 hours late, wasted my time and money.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

On 9/7/18, I was on a flight from Dallas to Kansas City (MCI). I had pre-booked a rental car at MCI. Due to inclement weather, my flight was delayed 8 hours. To make sure that my reservation wasn't cancelled, I called the Alamo at MCI at 10:00 pm and advised them that I was finally about to be leaving Dallas and should arrive before their closing time at 2:00 am. The representative I talked to took my name and information and stated that he would be passing along my situation to the location to make sure no one left before I got there.

I landed at 1:30 am, with 30 mins to spare before closing time. After the shuttle, I arrived at the Alamo desk at 1:45 am, 15 minutes before closing time. After being stuck in the Dallas airport for 8 hours, I was ready to get out of the rain and into my bed. Unfortunately, the Alamo location at the airport CLOSED EARLY...even with me calling ahead and telling them that I was coming. They not only didn't wait for me, they closed up early and left me stranded at the airport, in the pouring rain, at almost 2 am with my luggage and no way to leave.

I called Alamo customer service and they basically said they couldn't do anything for me other than file a complaint. So at 2 am in the pouring rain holding all my luggage in a rental car parking lot, I'm on the phone filing a complaint. I never heard a single thing, so a week later, I followed up with an online complaint. I was told someone from the MCI management would be contacting me to discuss my situation. Here we are a week and a half later and no one has contacted me yet. Still. This has been the most insanely frustrating process I've been through. Apparently, do they not only not care about the customer at the locations, the management team doesn't care either.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

First of all, I made our reservation with Alamo online and then I should have known the whole company is a bunch of scam artists. I looked under the sales and deals and got a price and then I decided to look at just the regular pricing, so I opened a new tab and lo and behold the regular price was CHEAPER than the sales and deals. Right then I was thinking “Wow how much more money do they get by people thinking they are getting a better deal in the "sales and deals" link.” I decided to go against my gut and made the reservation anyway, using the pay now and save more!

When we arrived to pick up the car they ask for my driver's license and I told them I was not driving, my husband was, I just made the reservation because I am the one who pays the bills. So we gave "Rob" my husband’s license and he said "We charge ten dollars a day extra for additional drivers." I told him that I was not driving AT ALL. He told me that the reservation was under my name and we couldn't change it to my husband. Then he convinced us to get the fuel for 2.75 a gallon, what a deal! Except it wasn't, you can't choose how many gallons you want. He charged me $43.94 for fuel. When we dropped it off we had only used half a tank, but instead of subtracting money they charged us more, now it was $49.43. It ended up being more than $5 a gallon, we would have been better off filling it up ourselves. Plus, most airports have a gas station close or on site. Do not get the fuel option, if you do make the mistake of using Alamo.

He also tried to convince us to get their insurance, I said “no” because I have travel insurance through my credit card and most car insurances cover rental cars. Even though I made the reservation online and it states “save time, save money” it did neither. It took us over 30 minutes to stand in line (5 min) and then deal with Rob, the man checking us in and charging us more. He was also rude and had a different man standing behind him who didn’t say anything, which I felt was awkward.

When waiting for Rob to add more onto my bill, I overheard the woman next to me having similar problems with her attendant. The contracted price I paid for the reservation was $542.93 online, but when all was said and done it was $655.73. I was very upset and Rob didn’t even try to explain anything or to calm me down. I left the building talking to myself in outrage. Another attendant was outside and did ask why I was upset and if there was anything he could do, which was nice. When I told him my ordeal, he just shrugged and said there was nothing he could do, then why did he even ask! We got a full-size Nissan and went on our way. My two boys and husband were silent and scared and there was a very negative atmosphere in the car. What a way to start our trip! I cooled down over time, but was still very upset.

A couple days later while we were sitting in a downtown park in Pittsburgh, a woman was complaining about Alamo as well. When we asked why, she told us that even though her daughter was only going to drive the car one day, they charged her the additional driver fee for the whole time they rented the car and it was an extra $15 dollars a day. When we turned the car in at the Pittsburgh airport, the lady scanned the plate and typed in something from the dash and handed me a receipt. Somehow, my total was even more $662.32, that is $119.39 more than what I thought I would be paying!

I am outraged with the terrible service and extra money I was charged through Alamo. I will NEVER again use this company and will be telling everyone I know what an awful experience my family and I had. Their motto “save time, save money” is a joke. If you need to rent a car, go through a different company even if it is a little more. You will save the headache of dealing with a poorly run company and chances are you will save money going through someone else. The only reason I am giving Alamo 1 star and not zero, is because the Nissan we had was a nice car. Good job Nissan!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We booked through Alamo for this past week at Sky Harbor Airport, AZ. We prepaid months ago. We had to leave a day earlier due to Hurricane Florence, as staying another day would have prevented us from getting home for days. We asked for a refund for the day not used, THEY REFUSED BECAUSE WE PREPAID??? I don’t even understand this policy, these were extenuating circumstances. Thank you to Delta Airline for waiving ALL fees in rebooking and luggage fees. I will NEVER USE ALAMO AGAIN, frankly my dear, you suck.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

We came in to Knoxville late at night. We drove to our cabin about 1 1/2 hours away. The next day we went to use the SUV and noticed the screen was heavily sun damaged and had a small crack. We tried to sync the phone to the NAV system and the whole screen shattered. Now they're trying to charge us for the damage!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had reserved a car at Geneva Airport, Switzerland two months in advance of my trip. I reserved a mid-sized SUV, Automatic, VW Tiguan like. When I got to the airport, there were three people at the counter, but only one was helping customers; the others were on the phone and doing paperwork. After a long wait, witnessing the people in front of me get "upgraded at no charge" and then told to wait an hour for the car to be ready, I finally got up. First, the young man asked me if I would like a free upgrade, to which I replied, no thank you. Then, he advised me that they did not have an automatic in the car class I had reserved, so either I could take that class in manual, or I would have to take the free upgrade. The upgrade was to a large SUV minivan, which I did NOT want on Swiss roads in the mountains and in garages. Basically I had no choice for an automatic for 5 people.

The next day I called the desk and asked them to change my car; they offered me one that just went into the garage for repairs, or one that was even BIGGER than the one they gave me. I asked him to get a car from another location, and he told me I could drive to Lyon (159km away) and take car of the swap myself. The car was way too large for the villages we were in, and caused a huge amount of stress for the entire week, and put a really sour note in the vacation. The ALAMO commitment is a scam and the service even worse. When I returned the car, the people taking in the cars were so rude that one started screaming to my family member and gave him obscene sign language gestures. I will never rent from Alamo again.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Reserved a BMW (!!) to have best and safe travel with the family. Got a car with broken tail light and 2 days later battery died on the highway. Phone calls to the useless team they have there cost me on roaming $150+ and hours of wasted noon-time travel. An annual family trip that was planned for months was ruined. Zero compensation; no apology; and when they repaired for the new battery, they rounded the number down. Poor Alamo, I had to chip in for them few euros at the shop. DO NOT DO Alamo.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I had booked 2 cars under. My pick up was supposed to begin from 1500 hours in the afternoon. My flight was delayed because of some reason and I had to come in at 2000 hours to pick the car. When I reached the pick up at 2000 hours, the reservation was canceled. The personnel there were not ready to listen, understand my issue. We were 8 people traveling on a holiday and this was by far the worst start. My reserved car was given to some other person as the airport personnel at Alamo did not even allow me to do a fresh reservation. Absolutely ridiculous and not acceptable. There was absolutely no communication that the reservation stands canceled if I do not make it by the airport by 1500 hours. Pathetic.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We rented a car from Alamo in Stanford, Florida to drive down to Fort Lauderdale at the end of July. While in Fort Lauderdale we unfortunately locked our keys in the trunk. In the end we had to tow the car to Alamo's counter for a swap since roadside assistance could not get into the trunk. The tow truck was more than 3 hours late despite getting routine text messages that the truck was on the way as scheduled (approx 70-80mins). After spending a whole day trying to resolve the problem, we finally got a replacement and was told by customer service that our stuff locked in the trunk would be put aside with our contract no. for us to pick up. We found out that this was not true.

They quickly opened the car that morning (we dropped off the car after midnight) and rented the car right away that day. Employees took our items out of the trunk before the car went back to be rented and we never managed to get them back despite numerous calls and visits to the rental counter. The employees and managers knew our things were stolen but would not do anything about it. Their bogus online reporting system is worthless and only results in useless email notifications that they have not found our items.

We never received any reply to our email to upper management despite being told that their policy is to reply would within 24hours. The managers at the Fort Lauderdale airport counter appear indifferent to our situation. One even wanted to only give us a pickup with an open cab when we swapped our locked car. We have young children and luggage to drive back to Orlando.

I would not rent from Alamo again. Everything is ok if you do not run into any problems, but if you do there is no assistance. Furthermore, there is no consistency of the information provided to clients and they do not even appear to follow any policy. Employees are not policed by management unless it is done right in front of them at the drop off locations since they cannot steal items left in the returned vehicles. Our car was dropped off at their repair lot so there appears to be no monitoring of employees there. Dealing with this company has been a major disappointment.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We rented a car from Alamo at the Geneva, Switzerland airport. Because our credit card offers free car insurance for car rentals, we did not pay for Alamo's own, very expensive insurance. While parked in a parking garage, the car got side-swiped by an unknown car. When we returned the car, the agent took all the information, required a $5000 credit card deposit, and told us that within two weeks we would have a refund for the unused portion of the deposit. Well, that didn't happen. After three weeks of hearing nothing, I contacted Alamo's national/international reservation department. First they sent me to a national claims department, which sent me back to the original Alamo department I started with. Then the agent said she'd send an internal query to the proper office in Switzerland to find out what was going on.

A week later, I got an email from an office in France (Geneva is right on the border) saying they had no idea what I was talking about and asked that I forward all my documentation. I sent the rental agreement and the damage report. A week later, I got another email asking for a claim number. No one had given us a claim number, so I called Alamo again, and they again sent an internal query. Three days later, I received an email from France saying they had no record of the claim and to provide the claim number. I told them it was their responsibility to create a claim number.

At this point, I called Alamo again and told them I would be going on social media to complain about the runaround Alamo was giving me unless they resolved this right away. This time they routed their internal query to their Zurich office. Lo and behold, they had information on our claim, but they had never bothered to contact us. Another week went by, and we finally had the repair estimate. The entire process has taken two months. This whole experience tells me *never* to use Alamo again. If we hadn't kept dogging them, we'd still be out our $5000 deposit. On the upside, our credit card company, Capital One, was incredibly efficient from start to finish and covered everything.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Alamo at Detroit Airport - First car reeked of smoke, obvious no one actually cleaned it. Did not find this out until all luggage was loaded. When returning, the lady who checked us in was rushing us to get out of the car. We left behind a handicapped parking placard. Because of the nature of the item, I tried calling prior to the flight, after the flight and the next day. Got a lot of runaround, and NO ONE is allowed to just call the location (guess that would just be way too simple). Filed on the phone and online for a lost and found item. Was told I will only be contacted if they find it. At this point (two days later) I am assuming it went home in somone's pocket.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I rented a car on December 18th/2016. I rented a Chevrolet Cruze Silver Color. After all this time until now I got the stomach to talk about this negative experience with ALAMO (in Chicago O'Hare). I left a silver cross hanging from the rear view mirror inside the car. I was in the office checking out and closing the deal when I realize that I forgot my cross. I told the Parking Lot Manager, wearing a large black jacket and also I told to the parking guy, in a fluorescent vest, about the situation. They told me that everything will be found and I have not to worry, they will look at that. My wife and I were waiting for more than 1 hour and 30 minutes without any feedback. I spoke with three different representatives in the office but they did anything to resolve the situation.

My wife and I had to leave the ALAMO office because our flight was about to depart and we almost lost it. After our flight back to our hometown, I was calling ALAMO Lost and Found checking if they found my cross, but no luck. I tried everything and there is no refund and not even a feedback; they just said that they can't find the item. For me the guy in the black jacket and the parking guy in the vest are the culprits. And also the staff in the office never helped me at all, they just delayed the situation forcing me to leave when my flight was about to depart. The only one option I have is to sue ALAMO, something I am still considering.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

We rented a car with a GPS from Alamo/Enterprise, managed by Locauto, at the Brindisi airport in Italy, from July 15 to July 28. We drove to Lecce and parked the car for two days. On the third day we drove south to Felline. We saw that the GPS was disoriented and useless. 1. On a multitude of occasions it would direct us to turn down streets that were “no entry” streets. 2. The first night it sent us to the wrong town. The GPS announcing “You have arrived at your destination” we got out to ask where the restaurant was, they said it was in the next town over. They gave us driving directions on how to get there. More than once we were directed to the wrong town.

On one occasion someone actually got into the car with us to direct us. 3. It would often not find a GPS signal, once keeping us waiting up to 30 minutes in a small town at midnight, till it got it. 4.On occasion it would work, but often would not know where it was. It sent us on the highway and promptly said, “Turn left.” Of course there were no streets to turn on. Within a minute it said, “turn back.” We often preferred not to even try using it, since it was insanely frustrating, and so we resorted to the old fashioned way of asking directions. Also, there was nowhere to mount the GPS. We had to hold it if we considered using it.

July 18, after the first full day of driving we called the office in Brindisi to ask them to send us another GPS. We were going to be in a place for a week so we could get it in time. We spoke to Francesco who at first told us to call the Roadside Plus assistance, which we had paid extra for. We had already called them and was told there was nothing they could do unless we had car trouble. Francesco said he’d exchange the GPS, but we had to go back up north to Brindisi airport to exchange it. We were all the way down south. We did not want to waste an entire day to exchange it. Francesco finally said, when you return the car you’ll talk to the office. Locauto had no locations in the south. We had to hang onto the useless GPS till we returned it on the 28th.

We returned the car on the 28th, as scheduled. Francesco was out on the lot to check it in (after a half hour because their computers were down). We reminded him about the GPS. He said to tell the office inside. The three agents inside, including the manager, Alessandra repeatedly insisted that they had never had trouble with the GPS. The GPSs were always updated and worked well. (I suspect they may have tested them around the airport only and not in the rest of Puglia.)

Anyway, they could not open up the reservation. Francesco had closed it. I went back to ask Francesco to open it. He said, “Sure. I’ll call them. Go back inside.” He never called. We insisted that they adjust the charge. They said all we could do is follow up with the main office. We asked them to write a note on the contract that we had complained about the GPS. They absolutely refused. The GPS was the main issue, but when we picked up the car, and drove out of the airport I noticed that the gas gauge was well, well below the full mark. I didn’t want to waste a half hour to go back to the airport to complain. (At drop off, Francesco said, “Was it closer to full than empty?” That was satisfactory by him.)

Also, they did not have the car that we had reserved, so they gave us an “upgrade”. The upgrade was way too large a car to drive in the narrow streets of southern Italy. The experience with Alamo/Enterprise was infuriating and obviously in bad faith on their part. On many occasions I have rented cars from Alamo, through Expedia, in the U.S. and Canada, and have never had a problem.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Hire a car through Expedia on the 20th July from York UK and drop it the next day in Edinburgh. When picked up the car from the train station attempted to call the agent several time to inform him of some minor superficial scratches on the car and the also the rim of one of the wheels. After 5 calls and long hold I did give up, since the scratches seem minor. When drop the car the agent who was inspecting found a minor Damage in the same wheel which obviously wasn’t done by me. The wheel was not original wheel either and was a replaced wheel. Coming home I find that I have been charged an extra $900 on top of the rent which probably is for the 1 wheel replacement. They don’t pick up their phone to answer. Do your research before hiring from them.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Had booked a car for 3 days that included 300km/day. When bill arrived, got charged for 600km additional that we didn't drive. Also were charged for "premium standard" that we were asked to left a car by a parking worker. Awful experience, never again, won't recommend to anybody!

Original review: July 23, 2018

We returned the car earlier. Alamo refused to refund the difference. The customer service was very unprofessional! When I asked to email me the contract, where it says they will not return the money, I was told they don't have it. Do not use this agency!

Original review: July 22, 2018

We have a group of five families from overseas arriving at LAX for self-guided tour for 26 days trip. I booked online 2 SUV and 3 Pickup. Upon arrival, I did a self-check-in and rented a standard SUV for 2500 with limited insurance coverage. My other guests arrived a few hours late, when approaching the front desk, they suggest to upgrade to a premium SUV with full coverage, suddenly the price jumped to from 5500 to 6600 even we all think the cars they rent to my guests are all top brand cars (Infiniti QX80, Ford Explorer etc.). Notes, I am a US travel agent from MN.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I am seeing many complaints. When I went to pick up my car in Phoenix, the agents were kind, helpful, and caring. They gave me excellent directions on how to get to the highway. The man who directed me to the car was a real gentleman who opened the door for me. I heard "please", "Thank you" and "Have a wonderful vacation". I am not sure how many of the reviewers have ever worked behind a counter and have had to serve the public. It is not always easy. The public wants perfection and our world isn't perfect. You need a vehicle, you rent it, you return it in good condition. The end. Yes, they convinced me to upgrade to a full size car, but I am happy that I did. I had a comfortable ride and a lovely vacation.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I decided to rent from Alamo from Priceline for a family reunion in Chattanooga, TN. Alamo destroyed part of my family vacation and caused an amount of stress that I cannot adequately express through this review. They were completely indifferent to my ordeal and have yet to reimbursement for a Lyft ride I was forced to take as a result of their faulty vehicle and incompetence. The following is a description of my ordeal, and a warning to all of you: Alamo roadside assistance offers anything but assistance. They basically left me and my entire family to fend for ourselves and have yet to contact me regarding any of this. I cannot believe how horrific my experience was and how little customer service seems to care. I emailed them regarding this yesterday and still have yet to hear back.

My family flew into Atalanta, GA, rented the vehicle from there, and attempted to drive into Tennessee for the family reunion. I was traveling with 8 people total, my grandparents (both of whom suffer from Alzheimer's/dementia), two aunts, and three cousins (aged 22, 18, and 12). My aunts and grandparents were in one car, and I was in the other. From the Atlanta airport, we drove to Hiram, GA to visit a cousin for dinner. We then tried to continue on to Chattanooga from there. About thirty minutes later, the car began to shake and we could hear flapping noises. I saw a piece of the tire come off in the rear-view mirror! We pulled off the highway and into a Texaco in White, GA. There, we discovered a large, crater like hole in the wheel. The other car with my aunts and grandparents came to the gas station to wait with us while we called roadside.

It took about half an hour to even get a human on the phone. From there, things went downhill. I cannot seriously believe that the person I was talking to on the phone is entrusted with small emergencies (those that do not warrant a call to 911 or police). He could not keep his words, or answers straight. He was vague and indifferent. As the call went on, the stress of the situation seemed to make him stutter and flail. He seriously suggested that I leave all of my family behind, go with the tow truck back to Atlanta, and exchange the vehicle there. He did not seem to understand that we were in the middle of nowhere, in an unfamiliar environment, with two disabled persons and someone underage.

I finally came up with the solution of taking a Lyft to Chattanooga, TN and leaving the car behind. It was getting dark and where we needed to be was still over an hour away! It took almost two hours to come up with this relatively simple solution --- and it was me who did it! Though I was reassured that notes were being taken of this incident, when I got to the Chattanooga Airport the next day to get another car (instead of driving to Nashville, for a day trip, as planned), Alamo couldn't even confirm that my disabled car had been towed! I had to wait ANOTHER period of time on the phone with roadside while they attempted to confirm that.

I was flabbergasted at the level of incompetence and lack of communication on Alamo's part. Rental cars are not supposed to fail, and I know companies do as much as they can to assure that. But, if a vehicle does, there should be some sort of failsafe in place to protect drivers and customers. There was none here for me, and Alamo has failed at every level. Though my request for reimbursement was noted in an email from the manager at the Chattanooga Airport, though I spoke to customer service the night of the ordeal, and though I have sent two emails to customer service, I have yet to be contacted or reimbursed for the nearly $70 I spent on that Lyft ride. Do not rent for Alamo. It's not worth the risk.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 15, 2018

Rented from Alamo Washington DC Airport. Took car couple of days later to Atlantic City. Oil warning light came on - 0%oil! Called several times - they sent a TRUCK to replace. I had to call several times again as I have bad knees & had elderly aunt with us, truck was too high! Girl on phone said I was in NO position to be picky! We PAID to rent an SUV!!! Service is awful!!! I’d never use them again or recommend them!

Original review: July 14, 2018

Upon picking up our 4 day car rental at the Charlotte NC airport, they did not inspect the vehicle with us. They simply pointed us in a direction of cars and said pick one of those, the keys are inside. We picked a Nissan Alton's which upon initial seating, smelled faintly of smoke but it was not until we turned the air on and started moving that it really bothered us. There was visible garbage left in the vehicle, - a pen, a napkin, an itinerary from May (my rental was in July), food between the seats, dust and insects dead on the dashboard. Then the next day, we noticed the under covering of the car was falling off and cockroaches crawling all over the car seats, floors, trunk... It was disgusting. I ended up calling them on the 2nd day but they said they couldn't do much until the rental was finished. Upon returning the vehicle, we did let them know and they ended up refunding the entire amount.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I rented an Alamo car for a 1-day 6-hour trip from Southern to Northern California. I called ahead to ask for info should my trip be delayed and got one story (that there'd be hourly over-time rate depending on the vehicle demand) and that they'd make a note in my file saying I might be delayed for pick-up - however no such note existed upon my arrival. Next I inquired at the rental desk what might happen if my drop-off time was delayed and got yet another story, that there'd be no charge if dropped off within 24 hours of rental pick up time.

Came to drop-off time at the address specified in both copies of my contract, and the drop-off location was CLOSED plus without any parking anywhere! I'd inquired at the rental pick-up desk about arrival after closing and was told there'd be no problem if I arrived after hours as there would be a drop-key box and a parking lot. But there was NO key box, plus NO parking and NO drop-off lot - nothing, in the middle of the city where parking would only be illegal.

So I called Alamo from inside the car to be put on on hold for 20 minutes and was given another drop-off location, fortunately close by at Enterprise Rental Car in San Francisco but when I arrived at Enterprise I was promptly told that I could NOT drop off my Alamo car since it was not an official Alamo rental car location! But this time I was too tired and frustrated and insisted on dropping off the car without a receipt, risky liability for me. Alamo may be a Budget rental car company but the constant misinformation, despite my own attempt to be prepared and informed beforehand, was ridiculous. I would not rent from Alamo again, how could I, as no one there had ANY accurate information at any point either before or during my car rental.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I had a wonderful experience when I initially rented the vehicle. I had to put mine in the shop for some repairs, picked this car up at a great rate by reserving on Travelocity.com. When picking the car up, I asked the agent if I needed to extend my rental if I should call to do so since I wasn't sure how long the repairs would take. She said, “Yes, please call or else the rates will go up.” So I call today (the day I'm supposed to bring the car back) and let them know I need to extend the rental. I'm then given a rate double what I initially book for. I asked to speak to a supervisor after explaining over and over again to the rep it was NOT the same rate (apparently she couldn't do math because she couldn't figure that out), I was then hung up on as she transferred to a "supervisor".

I called back and received a different supervisor whom also argued with me about the rate stating that the rate at the time of an extension is not given the original rate, but whatever the current rate is instead and she can't change it. I've never experienced anything like that with a rental company before. I even quoted that my rental agreement AND the Travelocity website both state IN WRITING that an extra day is a fee of: $** and it gave the same rate I was originally given. She blatantly said she understands what I'm seeing but that they can't change the rate. So you're telling me you don't have to abide by the written agreement, but I do? This company is crap when it comes to Customer Service.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I never rented a car before. I was told to use Alamo. When I went up to the desk, I told them I was using my own insurance. They said I had to pay another insurance through them to cover my deductible in case of an accident. Since I didn't know any better, I said ok. I later found out that they took me for a ride. You are not required to pay any other insurance if you plan on using your own insurance. I will never use Alamo again...

Original review: June 25, 2018

I’ve been in USA for 7 times, since then I’ve made car reservations with Alamo, without any problems, until now. My wife is pregnant, and we were in a flight for more than 14 hours, I made the reservation by Alamo’s website, when we arrived tired in the morning we were attended by a Hispanic girl (06/18/18) that told us that a kind of a daily insurance of 12,95 was compulsory and we had to do it. I doubt that, but she told we couldn’t take the car without it (she was lying and I didn’t believe that), but we were tired, my mother is a 67 years old and my wife pregnant so we got it.

By the time we gave the car back, a “supervisor” was rude and told us that the liar girl was right because we signed a contract. So remember to refuse all - Alamo nevermore, to see more informations about Alamo, ** and check how many complains like mine exist. Unfortunately only knew about this later. My advice - BE CAREFUL WITH ORLANDO’S AIRPORT STAFF, THEY ARE NOT TRUSTED AND HONEST!!!

Alamo Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As the largest rental car agency serving international travelers in North America, Alamo Car Rental focuses on major destination cities. Its 171 self-service kiosks in 63 U.S. locations streamline the rental process, resulting in an easy and hassle-free rental experience and improving check-out and check-in times. Alamo is owned by Enterprise.

• Loyalty rewards: Customers who join the Alamo Insider program get an instant five percent discount off retail prices.

• Prepay discounts: Pay for a rental car in advance at the time of booking and get an additional 10 percent off your rental.

• Arrive and drive: Using the online check-in option, renters can fill out the form and go right to their rental car.

• Wide vehicle selection: Choose from a large selection of makes and models, including electric cars and 15-passenger vans or cargo vans.

• Vacation in style: Car selection includes options like sports cars, luxury models and convertibles so drivers can make an impact when pulling up to the curb.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information